Windows Support Forum

Installed Fedora now Windows Crashes after OS Boot Choices

Q: Installed Fedora now Windows Crashes after OS Boot Choices

Hi yall I just did a Fedora install on my laptop after having Windows x Ultimate installed and now right after I choose the Windows boot option in Grub and choose the Windows option from the Windows bootloader as the animated Windows logo is loading I will get a Blue Screen Of Death I cannot get an error code because it comes and goes too quickly and it reboots I've tried running startup repair and that does nothing And when I try system it is only listing restore options from October of and none that are more recent which I know they had the last time I was able to boot into Windows long story but the other night I deleted Ubuntu and I wasn't able to boot into anything for a couple of days until I was able to make a bootable USB Drive to install Fedora Choices after OS Fedora Installed Windows Boot Crashes now today on a friends computer So what I'm wondering is there a way I can create a bootable USB Drive in Fedora to either reinstall Windows or to create a bootable USB Windows Repair Drive I would appreciate any help with this I hope I can just run a repair USB Drive and not have to wipe my whole Windows Partiton b c there is a lot of stuff on there that I really do need Please help

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Installed Fedora now Windows Crashes after OS Boot Choices

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Installed Fedora now Windows Crashes after OS Boot Choices

Well how important is fedora in this equation?
Removing it and grub could conceivably fix the problem.
Remove Grub - Restore Windows 7
That method requires a windows 7 dvd, ...as will most fixes anyone is going to come up with for this most likely.

Other option is you can read/write/copy ntfs file (windows files) with fedora with a few tweaks.
Which might be what you want to start with if saving data is priority.
I'm assuming fedora actually works though as you didn't say otherwise.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/273465-installed-fedora-now-windows-crashes-after-os-boot-choices.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi all,

Excuse me if this topic was already addressed elsewhere.

I have a Acer Extensa 5230 laptop with Vista, but no Windows CD/DVD. The only way I can install Vista is by using a complete system recovery disc, which basically sets the C: drive to the factory settings.

Recently, I installed Fedora 10 on a separate 30Gb partition. Windows is still higher on the sda list than Fedora. The problem now is that I don't know how to boot using Fedora. When my machine boots, it automatically loads Windows without prompting which OS to load.

Are there any ways that I can use Fedora on my machine? I don't think that installing Fedora on the first sda and installing Windows on the second sda is an option as I don't have access to a Vista install CD/DVD.

Thanks in advance,
Wilmar.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installed-fedora-10-on-vista-machine-but-no-boot-option.849674/
Relevancy 69.23%

I had a perfect-running CyberpowerPC-built PC with a Gigabyte Z mobo one TB HDD and GB SSD using Intel Smart Response to cache plus an MSI GTX It was fast and perfect After years my PC suddenly began displaying intermittent graphics glitches while gaming I checked my Nvidia now Sequential have 3 Crashes, Windows HDDs 3 Boot installed on drivers and found that they were versions out of date despite having Windows Update set on automatic I d l the latest driver package but 3 Sequential Boot Crashes, now have Windows installed on 3 HDDs got an unrecoverable crash in mid-install the machine refused to boot and neither the W OEM disc nor the Recovery Disk that I had made could repair it Checking CMOS I discovered that the BIOS was not detecting my GTX OR my SSD I removed the GTX since it had apparently failed and tried to boot using on-board graphics but that also failed I now began to suspect the motherboard since memory tests ruled out any problem with my RAM DIMMs After fruitless and pointless online discussions with CyberpowerPC and Gigabyte I gave up and ordered a new HDD this time opting for a giant TB drive After installing it and installing Windows on it I was able to finally boot the machine My old TB WD HDD was now installed as a backup drive and I was able to copy all of my old programs data games etc from it to my new TB drive I reinstalled the GTX but with it installed neither it nor the internal graphics would work despite my setting BIOS options appropriately for each So I removed the GTX and was able to use internal graphics Now convinced I had a GFX card failure I got a new GTX and installed it but had the same issue no display from either the card nor the internal graphics with the card installed So I removed it and went back to internal graphics Since basically the only common denominators still left in the machine were the motherboard and the SSD I decided in desperation to replace them too Since the Gigabyte mobo is no longer in stock anywhere I got an ASRock Z board and installed it along with a GB SSD which I hoped to put back as cache for my HDDs After several BSOD-on-boot crashes which rescue disks and the Windows disk were unable to repair I was eventually able to install a NEW Windows- onto the SSD So now although I can boot from the SSD I now have installations of Windows and the only one that actually works is on my SSD thus preventing me from using it as a cache for my main HDD I haven't bothered installing the GTX yet One issue at a time please In addition to all this I have a MB drive D named quot System Reserved quot which does not correspond to any physical drive AFAIK I never had that before tonight when the only way to boot was to install Windows on my SSD So now none of my programs games etc work because they are all on drive E my TB former boot drive c and they are supposed to be on drive C I need to find some way to straighten this mess out without losing all my data Also as info I have never overclocked anything on this machine- everything is bone-stock Does anyone have any advice as to how I can fix this so I have ONE bootable installation of Windows on my TB HDD and use my SSD as intended i e as a cache to speed up my normal HDDs instead of as my new system drive with no room for anything else Thanks in advance Disk Management Screenie

A:3 Sequential Boot Crashes, now have Windows installed on 3 HDDs

Follow it please:
Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/351879-3-sequential-boot-crashes-now-have-windows-installed-3-hdds.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Greetings. My pc running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit will not boot to the desktop if I have Malware Bytes Anti-Malware or SuperAntiSpyware installed. It boots fine to safe mode. I since removed the two programs, but I think I must have an infection. I also had some internet connection problems that went away after installing those two programs. Now that I removed them, I'd like to know if anyone here would mind taking a look at my logs and see if you can determine whether or not my pc is infected. Please advise me what you need me to do. I already ran both of those malware/spyware scans which come up with nothing. I also ran the ESET online scan from safe mode, and it came up with nothing. Lastly, I did a disc check with no issues. Thanks in advance.

A:Infected? Windows crashes on boot if anti-malware software is installed.

Hello, so with thise NOT installed there are no crashes?How is the connection now. If all the logs were clean we won't review them.Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it. Checkmark the following checkboxes: Flush DNS Report IE Proxy Settings Reset IE Proxy Settings Report FF Proxy Settings Reset FF Proxy Settings List content of Hosts List IP configuration List Winsock Entries List last 10 Event Viewer log List Installed Programs List Users, Partitions and Memory size.Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run. Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.Please download TDSSKiller.zip and and extract it.Run TDSSKiller.exe. Click on Change Parameters Put a check in the box of Detect TDLFS file system Click Start scan.When it is finished the utility outputs a list of detected objects with description.
The utility automatically selects an action (Cure or Delete) for malicious objects.
The utility prompts the user to select an action to apply to suspicious objects (Skip, by default). Let the options as it is and click ContinueLet reboot if needed and tell me if the tool needed a reboot.Click on Report and post the contents of the text file that will open.

Note: By default, the utility outputs the log into system disk (it is usually the disk with installed operating system, C:\) root folder. The Log has a name like: TDSSKiller.Version_Date_Time_log.txt.Please download aswMBR ( 511KB ) to your desktop.Double click the aswMBR.exe icon to run itClick the Scan button to start the scanOn completion of the scan, click the save log button, save it to your desktop and post it in your next reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/470955/infected-windows-crashes-on-boot-if-anti-malware-software-is-installed/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hello,

i have one windows 7 os and installed fedora 13 on the other partition on hdd. both os boot correctly. But when i take ghost image and install that image to other computer my fedora os does not boot. Windows 7 is booting fine. any idea? how can i dual boot windows 7 and fedora 13 after taking and installing ghost image? My fedora uses ext3 file system and Windows 7 controlling startup boot.

thanks

A:Windows 7 Fedora 13 Dual Boot

Hi there, you will need to restore Fedora's Grub2 bootloader.
See this: How to restore Grub 2 after reinstalling Windows XP/Vista/Win7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/96405-windows-7-fedora-13-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I have 2 systems on 2 hard drives: truecrypted Windows and Fedora. When I try to press esc during
password check from truecrypt nothing happens. In theory truecrypt bootloader should find Linux bootloader, but it doesn't.

Anyone know how to fix that?

A:Boot problem with Fedora and truecrypted Windows

What order did you do the installs - - it effects the boot loader

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/boot-problem-with-fedora-and-truecrypted-windows.211367/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi to everyone After I had some troubles and after noticing some speed differences I decided to delete Grub from Fedora installing Now I'm trying to dual Windows for boot 17 7/Fedora Neogrub find some solutions for using the normal Windows boot MBR through EasyBCD but I didn't succeed I tryed creating the Fedora voice in the menu with each one of all the options avaible in EasyBCD but neither of them worked Neogrub for Windows 7/Fedora 17 dual boot Ah I noticed that with quot Grub Legacy quot appears a weird grub terminal Neogrub for Windows 7/Fedora 17 dual boot in which I can write something but I totally don't know what to do with it So at the end I decided to use the NeoGrub option but I don't know what to Neogrub for Windows 7/Fedora 17 dual boot write in the config file all the examples I found on the web didn't work So I would ask you the favour to help me with it My configuration is hd Windows hd Fedora boot hd Fedora Partition All is in the same HD with partitions Expecially my problem is finding the directories of quot kernel quot and quot initrd quot to write in the config file Thanks for the attention

Relevancy 65.36%

Ok, heres the situation,

I was dual booting Win 7 and Ubuntu with the Windows bootloader in command. The Windows bootloader would pop up first with the NeoGrub bootloader or Win 7 option in the list and default to Win 7 if a choice wasnt made.

I uninstalled Ubuntu and replaced it with Fedora 12. Now the Grub bootloader is in command. Heres where the problem lies.

When I setup the dual boot for Ubuntu and Win 7 I actually was running Vista at the time and the program I used put the Windows bootloader back to the primary, Easy BCD, worked in Vista but apparently wont work in Win 7.

So, does anyone know of a way to manually make the change, or know of a Win 7 compatible Easy BCD, or know of a way to do it in Fedora?

A:Fedora 12 - Windows 7 Dual Boot Issue

Easy BCD 1.7.2 is compatible with Seven

Does Fedora 12 use Grub 1.5 or grub2?

So you are just booting straight into Windows atm?

EDIT:

easy BCD 2.0 beta availabale: http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=642

But you will have to register with the forum to download.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/56534-fedora-12-windows-7-dual-boot-issue.html
Relevancy 65.36%

So I'm trying Fedora. It's installed on a separate hard drive then my XP and 7, but I would like to know the way to get Fedora in my Dual boot screen while keeping Windows in control. Could anyone help ? All I could find was way to let fedora handle it.

I don't want fedora in control. And no, I won't run it in virtual before anyone propose it.

A:Dual boot windows 7/linux (Fedora)

I notice EasyBCD 2.0 beta has a Linux tab on its Add/Remove tab.

It works wonders with Windows dual boots, so I'd give it a try.

You have to do a quick registration to use the beta.

Post back for more help or with results so others can benefit.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/60275-dual-boot-windows-7-linux-fedora.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hey guys;

I have installed Windows XP and Fedora Core 5 linux as dual boot. I use both of them and they both work fine. However, I have given Linux too much disk space, like 15GB, which I believe is way too much, besides I need some extra space for my windows xp. I have tried Partition magic but it can't work with "ext3" partitions. I tried to uninstall Fodora, but when I did, windows xp won't load because it was using the BootLoader by Fedora (which was removed). So I had to install fedora again on 15GB partition. I want to keep Fedora but with less disk space (or partition). How to deal with this problem?

Is there a way to resize "ext3" partition? or Is there a way to uninstall fedora and make my windows XP load up? How to deal with it?

thank you.
bye.

A:Fedora Core 5 linux & windows XP dual boot

You probably have an ancient version of Partition Magic. Try something newer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fedora-core-5-linux-windows-xp-dual-boot.56869/
Relevancy 63.21%

I had windows 7 running fine on a new thinkpad laptop for about a week. I recently tried to install Fedora. There were no problems with the installation from what I saw. When I rebooted after installation, I got a "Media Test Failure: check cable" error, and it gets stuck there.
Now I can't get into Windows or Fedora, because the startup gets stuck with this error whenever I turn it on. I tried playing with the boot order, but that didn't help. I also tried switch between UEFI and Legacy (although I have no idea what these things mean), but that didn't work either. The only thing that I can do is boot into the live version of Fedora via usb.
Could someone please help me out? It's frustrating being locked out of a new laptop.

A:Media Test Failure after installing Fedora to dual boot with Windows 7

You can download the bootable diagnostics for thinkpad here. This may be a hard drive problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611157/media-test-failure-after-installing-fedora-to-dual-boot-with-windows-7/
Relevancy 62.78%

HI, i installed Fedora 5 on my laptop yesterday (got rid of windows completely, not dual booting) and it went okay, everything seemed to be working (except didnt manage to get my wireless notebook card or pen drive working but thats just driver/mounting issues i guess), but since I shut down when I boot up theres no signal to my monitor at all, it just stays blank. It sounds like its starting up normally (fans start going etc) but it just isnt recognising the monitor or something. I could really do with some help with this as I like to use my laptop regularly at college. If you need any particular specs just say and i think i can find them.

A:Installed Fedora 5 on laptop, now theres no monitor output

when I had issues I put the install disc back in and used the repair setup
the console window has lots of guides to repair kernel and or boot commands

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installed-fedora-5-on-laptop-now-theres-no-monitor-output.50129/
Relevancy 61.49%

I have Win 7 upgrade retail version. After installing, there is a folder labeled Old Windows (the WinXP I need to have on the drive in order for Win7 to upgrade). I deleted the Old Windows folder but I still get two choices when I boot the PC, as shown below ...

Earlier Version of Windows
Windows 7

How do I remove "Earlier Version of Windows" so the PC will boot right into Win 7 ? I checked using msconfig and it displays only one OS and it appears as follows:

Windows 7 (C:\Windows) : Current OS; Default OS

nothing else appears in the msconfig window

A:Two OS choices when booting but only one OS is Installed?

have you tried just setting the boot menu display time to 0?

That is a strange problem though, have you ever used startup repair on this system?
It really sounds like the bootmgr is confused.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/218877-two-os-choices-when-booting-but-only-one-os-installed.html
Relevancy 59.77%

First off, i am a tad computer illiterate. I have a Gateway gaming desktop computer model fx6831.

For about three weeks now, my computer has been having this issue. I would play a game, the screen would freeze with colors going all meshed (horizontal color lines) and need to restart. Once restarted, i get the reboot and select proper boot device repeating message. Using a windows 7 re-installation cd i have fixed this problem 3 times; my pc works for a few days then crashes again. Last time it restarted while idle next to me (no gameplay), and i thought i saw a blue screen (may have been BSOD) before restart. I have done a couple virus scans (norton and malwarebytes) but nothing. If it is a virus it may be more deeply embedded. Are there any possible causes or fixes to this ongoing problem?

A:Repeated system crashes, boot mgr missing no OS installed.

First we need to know the BSOD stuff. So disable the automatic restart on system failure. How To Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows 7

What is the exact error message if it doesn't boot?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/348310-repeated-system-crashes-boot-mgr-missing-no-os-installed.html
Relevancy 58.05%

hello i have some questions regarding dual booting windows home premium x with linux fedora on dual independantly dedicated drives i am a college student with moderate computer windows knowledge but am doing software development and would like to play around with some linux for a class i have no prior experience with linux and have minimal knowledge of operation i am currently running windows and would like to keep it as my primary os i do not wish to share media files across with and dual 7 drives linux windows boot fedora dual drives or os's windows does that just fine as is and i dont want to get into a third drive my windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives current drive is a tb wd black caviar hdd it is also currently rds full and the desktop is windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives about months old so i would rather not partition the drive for a dual boot i would think that there are some other advantages for the os's operating independantly off their own drives other than if one hdd dies i should windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives still have the other with its os still ok i have read some topics about RAID configs with dual boot setups with dual drives like this but am not very familiar with RAID is there a RAID config that would be beneficial in this situation i currently do not have a RAID card my tower internals are not very accessible and i dont like the idea of disconnecting drives depending on which os i want to operate so what would be the best way of going about this this is a near future project so i am looking for someone with some experience in this area hopefully thanks - garrett

A:windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives

Hi garrettchatt and welcome to Windows 7 Forums

Are you trying to ask something? There's nothing there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/142453-windows-7-linux-fedora-dual-boot-dual-drives.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello Im starting to think I totally missed something I boot Fedora with ISO CD bought a magazine with a full distribution of Fedora on DVD A guide inside explained detailed how to burn images of the DVD onto CD s so I could boot and install from CD since I have no DVD player on the PC I want to install it to I recently bought a new computer and wanted to try using Linux on my old computer for learning and experimenting - ISO CD with Fedora boot mhz Pentium mb ram soyo mainboard EDIT I have formatet my HD on this computer running pure MS DOS atm I have not access to any Linux OS at all Running WXP Home on my new computer So i did what was explained ISO-files of mb created and then burned to CD I Insert CD into my computer trying to boot but get Failure Then I try using rawrite to create a bootable floppy Smart Boot Manager Works fine I load the bootmenu from the floppy and choose Boot from CD Failure again ISO Exactly how does ISO work with Linux and booting I was not quite getting the part where they said quot Burn an ISO image to a CD and boot from it quot Does that mean burning ONE big file to a CD or unpack it and burn the files I unpacked I tried both Being a total newbie at Linux I give up Any ideas Hints Tips Everything appriciated Alternative I am considering Anyone able to recommend a great Linux version for someone who want to learn and experiment Where to download Its a jungle out there and I get lost every time I try to find something to download Was kind of hoping this DVD distribution could be the sollution Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 56.76%

Hey all Ok not 7 Fedora DVD working Boot So i ve been working on trying to install Fedora since summer started but I Fedora 7 Boot DVD not working ve had troubles I just got around to fixing my DVD burner Fedora 7 Boot DVD not working and making the DVD boot disk i Whenever I boot from the DVD though it takes a second to react the the word GRUB appears on the screen and that s it Nothing happens after The DVD reader doesn t spin and i can t type anything to the screen Is this normal Its almost as if my computer is frozen Someone please help As a tech enthusiast programmer I feel it as my duty to learn Linux Could the iso image be corrupted I never got the sha SUM program to finish checking it Thoughts I quot m at wits end with this thing Oh sorry almost forgot Dell Desktop computer Intel Pentium processor Ghz Three HDD GB laptop back up files GB Windows XP GB Old linux Friend gave it to me to be used for Fedora core DVD super-multi producer - LG Heeeeeelpppp T T nbsp

A:Fedora 7 Boot DVD not working

That sounds like a bad disc image - especially if you couldn't finish checking it. Why not?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fedora-7-boot-dvd-not-working.83222/
Relevancy 56.33%

I'd like to triple boot fedora core 5 on my dual boot xandros / XP machine and am wondering about the boot loaders. Can anyone tell me how xandros' LILO settings might or might not coexist with fedora (I believe GRUB) I loaded windows 1st, then xandros. Is it possible to keep xandros boot options at start-up, and will it add the new OS as an option?

A:add fedora core 5 to dual boot

Yes. When installing Fedora, tell it not to install a bootloader at all or put GRUB in the Fedora partition. After the restart, boot into Xandros and edit the lilo configuration file to include your Fedora. You may have to look at the Fedora GRUB configuration (/boot/grub/menu.lst in the Fedora installation) to figure out the exact kernel, parameters and initrd. Reboot into Fedora to finish installation.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/add-fedora-core-5-to-dual-boot.51214/
Relevancy 56.33%

I'm thinking of dual booting Windows 7 with Fedora 15. I had the installer of Fedora 15 in my freshly reformatted USB flashdrive and used LiveUSB Creator to convert Fedora 15's ISO to a bootable installer in my USB flashdrive. I also had already set the BIOS to boot first the removable media followed by the DVD drive. The trouble is, the Fedora 15 won't boot after resetting the PC. How do I make the USB Flashdrive boot up the installer for this OS?

A:Fedora 15 installation won't boot in a USB Flashdrive

You may want to give UNetbootin a try. It's all I've ever used to make a Linux bootable USB and it has never failed me.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/171276-fedora-15-installation-wont-boot-usb-flashdrive.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I'd like to triple boot fedora core 5 on my dual boot xandros / XP machine and am wondering about the boot loaders. Can anyone tell me how xandros' LILO settings might or might not coexist with fedora (I believe GRUB) I loaded windows 1st, then xandros. Is it possible to keep xandros boot options at start-up, and will it add the new OS as an option?

A:add fedora core 5 to dual boot

Yes. When installing Fedora, tell it not to install a bootloader at all or put GRUB in the Fedora partition. After the restart, boot into Xandros and edit the lilo configuration file to include your Fedora. You may have to look at the Fedora GRUB configuration (/boot/grub/menu.lst in the Fedora installation) to figure out the exact kernel, parameters and initrd. Reboot into Fedora to finish installation.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/add-fedora-core-5-to-dual-boot.51214/
Relevancy 55.9%

I've got W2k Sp4 on my IDE , Primary - Fedora Core on the Slave ,same channel
I want to put Xp Sp 2 on a new Seagate 80 gb Sata.
I am a relative noob with Linux , but I would like to keep it around as I would like to get to know it better. So will one of you guys give me a couple of pointers as to what to expect or what I can do to minimize any problems with this .
If I understand correctly , the XP install will kill the LiLo currently inplace ,but the 2 Windows O/S es should get along . Then all I need to do is re-install it(lilo) after XP is loaded to regain the Boot choice , but the Fedora O/S should be O.K.
AM i right ? or should I do something different.

A:Triple boot , Fedora Core 4 in the middle

You are absolutely correct.

Think through the Lilo installation procedure though. Do you have a recovery floppy for that? Or are you going to boot from the Fedora CD and use a chroot to restore the bootloader?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/triple-boot-fedora-core-4-in-the-middle.46497/
Relevancy 55.9%

OK I hope this wasn t posted elsewhere So I have minimal experience in Linux mostly I know windows so I decided to try out a core 6/ Issues Dual-boot Fedora Xp: few differrent quot versions quot of Linux I tried Suse had some issues and decided I did not like it Some how I managed to mess my boot directory up so I Dual-boot Fedora core 6/ Xp: Issues repaired my xp boot directory after removing suse So after all that Now only xp is on my drive working fine this is where I am I try to boot to a Fedora Core disk cd-rom and after the initial screen I get the following message quot Decompressing Linux ran out of input data --system halted quot If it helps I also tried to run Mepis live and got the following quot can t startup file system Halting quot So that where I m at Also memory is fine as I tested it with memtest don t know if that matters but someone mentioned memory in anohter forum I googled System stats Pentium D ghz stock speed MSI intel gm mobo x Corsair pc dual-channel Seagate gig hd Plextor px- SA dvd drive nbsp

A:Dual-boot Fedora core 6/ Xp: Issues

Maybe the CD is bad? Previous Redhat products had a CD test option in the boot menu, see if it's there for FC6 too.

BTW, the latest SuSE is 10.2

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-fedora-core-6-xp-issues.67464/
Relevancy 55.9%

My lap top is currently dual booted with Fedora Linux and Vista. I want to uninstall Fedora so that I only have Vista on my computer. Any tips on how to do that. Thanks,

A:How to Uninstall dual boot Fedora/Vista?

Format the drive with Fedora, then you can merge the partition with your Vista drive if you want more space for Vista, or make a new drive out of it for files and media and stuff.

Then download EasyBCD and delete the Fedora input from the MBR.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/170497-how-uninstall-dual-boot-fedora-vista.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi, I've just installed Linux Fedora 19 within my Win7. I was expecting that I'm going to use some 3rd party software to create Dual-Boot, but Linux did it all by itself. So I guess the using of software like Grub is not needed, or?

A:Dual-Boot Win7 and Linux Fedora 19

Fedora installed Grub for you. I have several linux distros on my vista lap top and grub handles them all.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/301671-dual-boot-win7-linux-fedora-19-a.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Ok, am not that smart when it comes to computers, but I installed Windows 7 32bit on my Acer laptop, which is only about a year old. It runs fine for about two days, and then.... IT CRASHES! It starts by running EXTREMELY slow, and then I restart it, and it wants to do a startup repair, and the startup repair does not fix it. I had some comp.geeks help me, and they formatted my hard drive, and I reinstalled Windows, and IT CRASHED AGAIN!
Now my laptop had Windows Vista to start with, then I put Ubuntu on it, and hated it. So I bought the fresh install disk from the store. SO PLEASE HELP!

A:I Installed Windows 7, and then... it crashes!

Hi Kyle. Welcome to SF.

First, please post your detailed System Specs found in your lower left corner.

Next, please follow these instructions:

http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...tructions.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/113237-i-installed-windows-7-then-crashes.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi everyone, I have checked around and cant seem to find a resolution to the issue i'm having, firstly thanks for taking your time to help me with this.

I have windows XP installed on my Sony Vaio AR-11M, I recently installed Fedora Linux, and removed it again.. Since this time I still have the Dual Boot Menu appear each time I boot up, and have to down arrow to 'other' before it will let me into windows, if I dont do this it will directly boot into Fedora (which then fails because its not there)

How do I remove this please? I have searched for a boot.ini file on my computer and the only result is boot.ini.backup in c:\windows\pss

Thanks very much

A:Problem removing Fedora Dual Boot Menu

Hi,

Fedora will have installed it`s own bootloader (GRUB),

and that remains even when you delete the OS itself.

To reinstate the Windows bootloader you have to boot

to the XP Recovery Console on the CD,then use the

fixboot and fixmbr commands. See HERE for details,

and HERE if you get complications.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-removing-fedora-dual-boot-menu.93080/
Relevancy 55.04%

hey guys i have vista home installed ....

i got the bootable usb with linux

but i need to create a partition for it... the problem is the whole drive is 1 partition for vista? i have 55gigs of unused hd space. how can i create a partition in that unused space so i can install linux?

Relevancy 55.04%

I installed a windows 2000 image over xp and now it asks me which OS I would like to start even though theres only one. What is an easy way I can get rid of that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
J

A:Two boot choices

Did you reformat the Hard drive before you installed 2000? Anyways, try this. Click Start, Run, type in msconfig, click the BOOT.INI tab and click Check All Boot Paths. That should clear it up.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/two-boot-choices-103772.html
Relevancy 55.04%

My various boot drives tend to collect multiple OS (XP HOME, XP PRO) so that when I boot up I am given a choice (QUICK! on the up and down arrow keys!) of which OS to boot with. Is there some way to get rid of these choices? As it happens, the first OS does not work and the second or third is worse than the remaining OS. Leaving aside the consideration of the space these now unwanted OSs are taking, I would like to be left with the best and toss the others. Is this possible?

Relevancy 54.61%

Hi,

I?ve bought a new Dell Inspiron N5010 with Win7. I switched it on with plugged External HDD, which contained Win7 files. So when I switch the notebook on I have to choose. How can I remove the first choice?

Thanks,

Matthew0014

A:Two choices at boot up: how can I remove the first?

Quote: Originally Posted by Matthew0014

Hi,

I?ve bought a new Dell Inspiron N5010 with Win7. I switched it on with plugged External HDD, which contained Win7 files. So when I switch the notebook on I have to choose. How can I remove the first choice?

Thanks,

Matthew0014

You might want to have a look at EasyBCD by NeoSmart Technologies.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/102958-two-choices-boot-up-how-can-i-remove-first.html
Relevancy 54.61%

After reinstalling XP from cd, I now have 2 choices when I reboot. Both are For XP. I must have done something incorrectly or not done something I should have during installation. This is not critical, I can live with it. Either selection boots up normally. I did partition the drive on install. I have c: with the OS on it and D: empty as it should be. Should I einstall XP, or is there some way to eliminate this? Like I said its no big deal, the machine boots and works correctly, but I do like to learn, and tinker, so If you have time please reply, and thanks for your time.
2007 Dell Inspiron 1501

A:Solved: 2 XP choices on boot up

I think you have an extra path to Windows XP in your boot.ini file. Here's a guide to editing the file in order to remove the extra entry:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-2-xp-choices-on-boot-up.1046460/
Relevancy 54.61%

I recently tried installing XP on an external laptop HD, it failed at about 15%.

Now when I reboot my pc, I get a message asking what OS to load;
1. Microsoft Windows XP Pro
2. Windows XP MCE.

It tries to auto load number 1, but it then says that loading OS failed, and to insert a HD with a good OS.
If I catch it in time, I can select number 2.

I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can edit this to auto load the 2nd one first (which is the non-corrupted one)

Thanks, LT

A:2 OS choices on boot - Corrupt

Hello LtSatire

Go to Start/Run and type in
msconfig
OK

On the boot.ini tab, click "Check all boot paths"
Apply

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/2-os-choices-on-boot-corrupt-278804.html
Relevancy 54.18%

In a nutshell I had a PC with a Windows install for the last two 7 installed freshly Windows on crashes Random years that had a motherboard go bad I ended up buying a Tigerdirect combo Random crashes on freshly installed Windows 7 hardware specifics below and just decided to reuse the case with my original install drive After taking some time to retune itself to new drivers the computer kept freezing at random times In some other forums on this site I thought it driver related even though I had updated everything including new MB bios To make things easier I installed a new GB SSD drive and put in a fresh install of Windows Have updated everything to the nines and avoided adding any Random crashes on freshly installed Windows 7 additional software until I had data and stuff organized from my previous install However the randome gremlin seems to have come back at random times I've tried setting memory frequency from auto to the speed in the BIOS but found this thread and Random crashes on freshly installed Windows 7 have attached the BSOD zip file for some help Any thoughts on what is the issue It may be a hardware problem but I have run memtest on the memory and just can't seem to find the culprit Specs MB MSI H M-P Processor Intel Core i - Memory Patriot GB DDR Windows Professional bit Thanks

A:Random crashes on freshly installed Windows 7

Still ongoing. Latest dmp file. Any thoughts?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/196151-random-crashes-freshly-installed-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi and thanks too all of you who help. I have installed windows 7 enterprise 64 three times now. Each time it works fine at first then when I install updates/drivers for my video card ect it gets so slow I cannot even perform a simple click on a desktop icon. I have also had corrupt registry errors come up when I boot in safe mode

Problem event name:StartupRepairOffline
Problemsignature01: 6.1.7600.16385
02: 6.1.7600.16385
03: unknown
04: -1
05: AutofAILOVER
06: 3
07: cORRUPT REGISTRY
osVERSION: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

dont know if it a driver issue, hardware issue or Windows 7 just does not like me.

ASUS m3n78-vm Motherboard
AMD x2 5050e 2.6 gig
4gb ddr2 patriot 6400 1066mh
sapphire radeon hd5070
Hitachi sata 500gb hdd
antec earthwatts 650w
coolmaster case
Sony bluray drive

got the system a couple of weeks ago no OS

A:Windows 7 slow crashes installed 3 times now

Have you been to the asus site and checked to see if any drivers need updating?
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download M3N78-VM
There are chipset drivers there - with intel they generally recommend installing them first up before any other drivers 2nd up video drivers then sound and then any other - probably be the same with nforce - try the chipset drivers and see if that ,makes a difference also all your relevant drivers for w7 64 bit are there.

You might find something in the below search also type some words in the search box here at this forum, something may come up similar, or the same as your problem.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...&aqi=&aql=&oq=

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/157931-windows-7-slow-crashes-installed-3-times-now.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Ok guys, here's the deal.
I bought the Windows 7, clean install disk, then like 2, or three days later, it freaking crashes.
Here's the 'symptoms':
1: The windows themselves start to lag.
2: The tool bar will freeze.
3: Sometimes; it won't shut off.
4: I try to boot and it says "Start startup repair, and won't boot into Windows.
I run the startup repair, and it fixes absolutely NOTHING! I had even called Microsoft, and was on the phone with them for like 2 hours.
All these people tell me to update drivers, but I downloaded a Windows 7 Compatibility program FROM Microsoft and it said that my laptop was ok. PLEASE HELP! (BTW all this other stuff about Reg Cleaners, etc, dnt work, so PLEASE don't tell me that.)

A:I Installed Windows 7, then for some reason it just randomly crashes.

Upload the dumps
http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...tructions.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/115073-i-installed-windows-7-then-some-reason-just-randomly-crashes.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi all,

I have a problem is with a reasonably new core i5 computer running windows 7

Crashes started a few weeks ago. Nothing had changed - no new hardware or software installed. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to the crashes - I can be doing anything when it happens

Could not work out what was causing problem so I re-installed Windows 7 home premium 64 and ran updates, applied service packs and installed drivers.

Crashes continued (no BSOD - just crash and minidumps)

I have also replaced power supply to no avail

Have run memtest 68+ for 6 full passes and no errors.

Would be very grateful to get on the right track with this - sending me around the bend.

Cheers for any help

A:Seemingly random crashes - re-installed windows 7

Welcome to SevenForums.

Can you tell us how the *desktop work in safe mode?

I have checked your dumps and all come with different bug checks but nothing specific. One of the dumps usual causes:

Quote:
STOP 0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Usual causes: Memory corruption, Hardware (memory in particular), Overclocking failure, Installing a faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or a failure after installing it, 3rd party firewall, Device drivers, SCSI/network/BIOS updates needed, Improperly seated cards, Incompatible storage devices, Overclocking, Virus scanner, Backup tool, Bad motherboard, Missing Service Pack

Your best shot would be to take it back to the vendor/store you got it from, check and see what they have to say.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/264139-seemingly-random-crashes-re-installed-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I'm running Windows XP, and a few months ago I installed Vista on another partition and used dual-boot with it...I formatted the partition with vista because I decided it sucked, but it still appears when I boot, and I keep having to choose Windows XP...it's really annoying. How do I remove it from the list and just have my computer boot XP without having to choose?

A:Removing Dual-Boot Choices

theres a way to reset the boot loader through the recovery console i think... google "reset boot loader with recovery console" and you might find something.
im not sure if thats true though i thought i heard it somewhere

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/removing-dual-boot-choices-151365.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I installed ubuntu on my desktop first, then I installed XP and 2000 sp4. I the process of installing the windows OS, Ubuntu was no longer included in the boot OS choices menu, is there a way to add it in, or will i now have to reinstall Ubuntu?
Thanks,
Fankle

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-to-the-os-choices-menu-at-boot.483905/
Relevancy 53.75%

I just recently built a system. I have two hard drives in it. I put a 64 gb SSD and my old 320 gb HDD in it. The 64 gb has my Windows 7 Ultimate on it, and the 320 had my old windows 7 Professional on it. When I turn my computer on, I have two choices for Windows 7. How can I just make that screen show the one on my SSD? I don't care about my information on my 320 gb HDD, I just want to boot directly into the SSD.

A:Two Operating System choices before boot?

If Windows 7 has not been removed from the 320 GB HDD, disconnect it, reinstall Windows 7 onto the SSD, then reconnect the HDD and format it using Disk Management -
START | type diskmgmt.msc

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/two-operating-system-choices-before-boot-572169.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi there I am writing on behalf of my father who has run into an enormous amount installed. updates/service packs Windows Crashes after 7 of trouble upgrading my computer He has recently upgraded the motherboard and CPU of my computer to the specs provided in my profile and since doing so has been unable to install update windows The computer operated just fine until we replaced the old processor and mobo The initial new installation of the OS goes swimmingly but then as soon as the service packs begin downloading and configuring - the computer will do the standard repeated restarts Windows 7 Crashes after updates/service packs installed. and goes through the configuration procedure then will simply not boot at all after Windows Repair does nothing and the only option is to reinstall the OS from the BIOS to simply replicate the exact same issue He is at a total loss of what to do We have tried using different SATA cables installing to different hard drives we have done memtests to check the RAM clean installs He'll have tried a fair few things I have no idea about and Windows 7 Crashes after updates/service packs installed. cannot list here - he is fairly computer literate and has spent the entire weekend failing to fix this issue The computer operates normally with just service pack installed but then this issue arises with one of the subsequent updates to a fairly consistent fault every time What could the problem be What could fix it Thanks a lot for any help this is mind boggling stuff - i'd never believed replacing a bloody processor and mobo could result in such a seemingly incurable problem Windows 7 Crashes after updates/service packs installed. Ashley X

A:Windows 7 Crashes after updates/service packs installed.

Unplug all other HD's and peripherals,

Boot into BIOS setup, reset to defaults, save changes. (If an EFI BIOS you'll need to decide if you want UEFI BIOS vs. Legacy BIOS. If UEFI follow these special steps for Install, otherwise enable Legacy BIOS or Compatibility Support Module to proceed with normal install.) Set DVD drive first to boot, HD second, set SATA controller to AHCI, Save changes and Exit.

Then boot into Windows 7 installer DVD or flash stick burned or written using tool and latest ISO for your licensed OS version with SP1 here.

At first installer screen Press Shift + F10, or enter System Recovery Options to open a Command Box, type:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 0 (after confirming Windows 7 target HD #)
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY SIZE=102400 (for 100gb partition, adjust as desired)
FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="WINDOWS 7"
ACTIVE
EXIT
EXIT

Next click Install Now, then Custom install to Clean Install Windows 7 to the partition you created. If it fails then report back at which step and the verbatim error message.

In addition read over these steps to understand the tools and methods which work best to get and maintain a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. The steps are the same for retail.

After install you can adjust partition size or Create new partitions for data, etc. in Disk Mgmt. You are creating the partition here for the purpose of wiping the HD and marking Active which overcomes certain install failures.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/293262-windows-7-crashes-after-updates-service-packs-installed.html
Relevancy 53.32%

hello. tried a dual boot setup. when the black screen shows after bios runs, the one that offers the choice of 2 systems. there is no way to choose one over the other. down arrows dont do anything, enter does nothing, tab does nothing either. so after 30 seconds the screen changes to the windows needs repair thing and I have to push the off button.

wondering how to get the up down arrows or tab to move and let choose

A:dual boot not working....cant choose between the choices

Have you done a startup repair to get into either system yet ?

Startup Repair
What 2 systems did you d boot ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/285010-dual-boot-not-working-cant-choose-between-choices.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hey guys I am boot Windows Windows dual 8 Black up. 8 installed, Screen! boot won't having an issue when installing the consumer preview So I downloaded the W iso off of Microsoft's site I burned it to a Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! DVD with GB free of storage I even bought a new set of DVDs Anyways I downloaded the iso I downloaded the USB DVD download tool there I burned my iso to the DVD So I then create a partition on my computer I gave the new partition GB of storage I rebooted my computer pressed F and access the burned DVD So I click custom installation and I install the new OS onto the partition with GB I named it the partition Windows so I wouldn't get confused I clicked it and installed Windows onto it Anyways once it extracts the data and installs all Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! the Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! updates my computer screen goes black for a few seconds Then it load's the fish icon and then goes black It loads nothing and it just stays there I have tried using the startup repair and it cannot fix it I decided to reinstall the OS but format the partition and then install It does the same exact thing Anyways how do I get rid of the black screen Windows won't boot up I allowed a dual boot by the way so I still have windows but I really want to try Windows I followed this guide if anyone was wondering

A:Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen!

I'm having similar issues with Vista and W8. I put W8 on an empty and freshly created partition.
I can get W8 to run but then on every restart or reboot I can not get back to Vista from the "blue dual boot screen". I select Vista as the OS, the laptop goes to the Acer splash screen and then the screen goes black and the HDD light goes off completely. And that's it. Have to do a forced shutdown holding power button and then on next reboot it will go to Vista.
Fortunately I have full Acronis disk images so I can just revert back to before all this but like you I really want to try W8.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/4556-windows-8-dual-boot-installed-windows-8-wont-boot-up-black-screen.html
Relevancy 52.89%

this is what I did since I have no CD-ROM to install Win I created a partion X NTFS and set it as the ACTIVE ONE the put there the Windows installation files and opened prompt command to type bootsect exe n X next I restarted my computer and automatically it booted into the Windows setup partitiion Windows installed or files in manager boot boot wrong I installed Windows on the partition C Windows boot files or boot manager installed in wrong partitiion and formatted the partition C everything installed and after the installation finished a multiple choice menu appears that reads Windows Windows boot files or boot manager installed in wrong partitiion Windows Setup I believe my error was not to set partition C back as the active one during the installation process where it asks you in which partition to install I just formatted C but forgot to set it as the ACTIVE ONE I have partition in total but there is no need to put them all just the ones that are involved this is how my partitions look Cboot page file crash dump primary partition XSystem Active Primary partition lt lt lt this one became hidden Code Windows Boot Manager -------------------- identifier bootmgr device device partition Device HarddiskVolume description Windows Boot Manager locale en-US inherit globalsettings integrityservices Enable default current resumeobject d e - - e -b f -efb b a displayorder current dcc -fafe- d -b - eba f toolsdisplayorder memdiag timeout Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier current device partition C path Windows system winload exe description Windows locale en-US inherit bootloadersettings recoverysequence d e - - e -b f -efb b a integrityservices Enable recoveryenabled Yes allowedinmemorysettings x osdevice partition C systemroot Windows resumeobject d e - - e -b f -efb b a nx OptIn bootmenupolicy Standard Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier dcc -fafe- d -b - eba f device ramdisk boot sources boot wim dcc -fafe- d -b - eba f path windows system boot winload exe description Windows Setup locale en-US inherit bootloadersettings osdevice ramdisk boot sources boot wim dcc -fafe- d -b - eba f systemroot windows bootmenupolicy Standard detecthal Yes winpe Yes ems No what I want is to make the X partition a worthless partition just containing the Windows installation files and that everything looks like if I installed from a CD-ROM rather than from a partition please tell in BCDEDIT commands does that mean I have to move the boot files or boot manager into C I also would like to remove the multiple choice screen but more important is to make X partition a worthless partition

A:Windows boot files or boot manager installed in wrong partitiion

Please post back a screenshot of your maximized Disk Management drive map and listings:

1. Type Disk Management in Start Search box.
2. Open Disk Mgmt. window and maximize it.
3. Type Snipping Tool in Start Search box.
4. Open Snipping Tool, choose Rectangular Snip, click New, draw a box around full drive map and all listings.
5, Save Snip, attach using paper clip in Reply Box.

Tell us what is on each partition.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/270703-windows-boot-files-boot-manager-installed-wrong-partitiion.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi.

I accidently installed grub onto the seven boot partition. I can't boot into seven. It loads the ubuntu select os screen, I select WIndows 7 (Loader), and it justs goes back to the ubuntu select os.

Please can someone help?

I still have windows 7 installed, and I have full access to ubuntu.

A:Accidently installed grub onto windows 7 boot partiton. Unable to boot

To Remove Linux take look at this post:
Error 0xc0000225 on boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/208957-accidently-installed-grub-onto-windows-7-boot-partiton-unable-boot.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I have a netbook which has installed Windows XP, Linux Ubuntu, XP recovery and Ubuntu Recovery.
When I booted up I was offered a choice of which Programme to open.
Now - for no reason - when I boot up Windows XP opens - no choices. The other partitions still exist but I cannot get into them.
Any advice on what has happened and how can I restore my menu of choices.

A:[SOLVED] Boot Menu Choices XP/Linux/Recovery

You might have to repair the grub2 which also controls the boot menu in which linux https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...redirect=GRUB2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-boot-menu-choices-xp-linux-recovery-684479.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Having problems with my multi-boot system window. Unexpected multi-boot choices in option The actual question is below but here s Unexpected option in multi-boot choices window. where I stand now FYI I have operating systems Windows on FAT C Windows on NTFS E Windows Unexpected option in multi-boot choices window. XP Home on NTFS F physical hard drives multiple partitions My OSs work just fine for the most part except that XP does hang to a dead stop occasionally causing me to do a hard shutdown When this occurs the hard drive activity light is on steady and the system is completely locked up tight I hear a couple of clicks and a change of drive speed shortly before it locks up It stays that way forever until I shut it down I ve run the extended version of the SMART tests on the drives with no errors I ve run several defragmentation programs Avast antiviral full scans V-Com s Registry Fixer and Spy-Bot Search and Destroy which I have since removed due to it s recent updates being massively resource intensive I could use a recommendation for another Anti-spyware program too My boot ini file reads as follows Boot Loader timeout Default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition quot noexecute optin fastdetect Operating Systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition quot noexecute optin fastdetect multi disk rdisk partition WINNT quot Microsoft Windows Professional quot fastdetect C quot Microsoft Windows quot I also have a quot boot --- quot file on the C drive --------------- The Question ---------------------------------------- The problem is that there is a fourth choice in the startup window It reads Windows default It defaults to this choice and it is an invalid OS It goes to the quot Missing hal dll quot error and stops I live in an area where the power is a little inconsistent and suffer through numerous outages annually My system is surge protected but not on a UPS I m thinking of adding one but not yet I noticed the problem shortly after one of the power glitches but cannot remember exactly if it was a direct result of one or not Any ideas on how to get rid of this fourth choice nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unexpected-option-in-multi-boot-choices-window.873028/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi all I got advice here from google searching how to recover bad startup files on my laptop actually I used a tutorial here But I have a situation with my GF's puter now BACKGROUND Bought two years ago a Toshiba Laptop c d About a year ago she was having trouble so she re-installed Win again only it didn't give a multiple choice for boot up options on start up It has been buggy ever since Freezing restarting without explanation etc It was a gift for someone who has not a lot of computer knowledge but she uses it for working on and being OCD I took it upon myself to help clean files and defrag etc without asking I'm paying for that now I use Ccleaner with default options to clean the laptop I used Dual Startup My Boot System Choices... Of 1 Bluescreens the command prompt on mine earlier from the emergency boot up disk I created a month ago to get back my startup files and went through the How to use the Windows System Recovery Environment Command Prompt tutorial here One of the commands I came across was BOOTREC REBUILDBCD where I didn't have any installations on my computer but I used it on hers Dual Boot System Bluescreens 1 Of My Startup Choices... and found instance I added ALL Hers now booted up with WINDOWS option and underneath WINDOWS HOME PREMIUM She was using Dual Boot System Bluescreens 1 Of My Startup Choices... the st instance WINDOWS I started up each one to see what was on them Like I said the st instance was what she had been using for the past year The nd was what she had initially which was bare bones except for her PLANTS vs ZOMBIES game I looked at the EXPLORE files and took a look at WINDOWS OLD She had her Original Original installation the one that was installed by the factory I believe she was having trouble with this one then did multiple installations to fix it HERE'S THE PROBLEM I used the tutorial mentioned above on hers to FIXBOOT FIXMBR SCANOS and CHKDSK R F I then went into the st instance to Ccleaner all the dump files that I assumed would have been written on that install Even though there were bad sectors that were supposedly fixed by CHKDSK Ccleaner only dumped about mb of temp and junk files I then exited to check if I had quick startup access it was normally taking to minutes to start hers up She would never shut it off because of this not to mention internal beeps going off from the BIOS having issues with I assume the multiple installs I did notice as soon as I used all the BOOTREC options to get her startup files going again Windows started normally not in minutes This was only fuel for the OCD fire to get in there and do a whole lot of good for my GF Anyways I try and start up the st instance now and get a BLUESCREEN that flashes too fast to see the error and then uses my EMERGENCY DISK in an endless loop of Windows is trying to repair Windows cannot repair She just happens to have files on the st instance she needs but I don't think they got deleted just no markers left to find them Anybody have any ideas about retrieving files in the black hole of SEAGATE I have jump drives to work with and the computer is still woring so I have hope I was also told to never touch her computer again THX Mike

A:Dual Boot System Bluescreens 1 Of My Startup Choices...

OCD_Computer_Guy,I used the tutorial mentioned above on hers to FIXBOOT, FIXMBR, SCANOS and CHKDSK /R /F.Just be aware that by running FixMBR, you have re-written a standard Microsoft MBR to the drive. You may not be able to access the Toshiba recovery partition (should one exist) at computer start-up using the Toshiba special function keys.Anybody have any ideas about retrieving files in the black hole of SEAGATE?How to recover your Documents from an unbootable Windows System:What you will need:Another computer with internet connection and a CD burner.Software capable for "burning an "iso" image to CD" (see ImgBurn below)A blank recordable CD disc.A USB flash drive or external USB drive large enough to rescue all of your documents.1. )  Start by downloading Precise Puppy Linux (166 MB) from here or here.2. )  Burn the iso file to CD.   Don't know how or can't burn an "Iso" image? Download ImgBurn from here.Install the software then start ImgBurn.Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" to the right and select the "iso" file location.Click on this icon to "Start."   3. )  Make sure your ailing computer is set to boot from CD\DVD drive first, either by pressing the appropriate "F" key to bring up the boot menu or by setting the computer to boot first from CD\DVDROM in Bios setup. (See how to)Boot the ailing computer with the newly created CD.Puppy Linux is a "Live CD" which means that it runs outside of  the windows operating system that is on your computer.Puppy should progress and run automatically.  When the desktop loads, click "OK" at the Quick Setup screen, then (X) out of the Welcome Screen.Note the icons, bottom left, above the Menu button.  They represent each drive on your computer.  Plug in your USB flash drive if you haven't already.  The flash drive icon will soon appear (i.e. sdb1).Unlike Windows, in Puppy you only have to mouse click once on an icon to open it.Find your system hard drive by exploring the hard drive icons ("hda" or "sda").If you have more than one hard drive, your system drive will contain the Windows folder.WINDOWS XP -  Click once on your hard drive.  Navigate to "Documents and Settings," then "<YourUserName>," and finally "My Documents" folder. WINDOWS Vista, 7, and 8 -  Click once on your hard drive.  Navigate to "Users," then "<YourUserName>."  You will see My Documents, My Music,  My Pictues folders listed.Note: use the at the top left of the screen to go back up a directory.Click once on your USB drive.  Now arrange the two screens by dragging them using the top, title bar so that both are visible; one on top of the other. Each window can be made smaller by positioning your mouse either on the top or right side of each window and dragging.Drag the files or folders that you want rescued into the USB drive and release.  Click "Copy."   Do the same for any other folders or files that are important.(Note: Folder sizes may be quite large and exceed the capacity of your USB flash drive.  File copying may have to be performed sequentially)When the flash drive is full, you can right mouse click on the Desktop flash drive icon and select "Dismount." Remove flash drive and copy files to another computer.  Re-insert flash drive into non bootable system to recover additional files.To "Exit" Puppy Linux, click "Menu," "Shutdown," and "Reboot computer."  You will be presented with a screen asking to save any personal settings.  Click "Do Not Save."The system will reboot.  Remove the CD.Good luck.  

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489067/dual-boot-system-bluescreens-1-of-my-startup-choices/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi there I recently have had hard drive failure and I am in need of an upgrade However I'm not sure what I should get I have been referred to this site Best High-End Gaming PC Hardware Revolution Best Mainstream Gaming PC Hardware Revolution I think I have narrowed it down in my amateur opinion to Amazon com Samsung Desktop Class Spinpoint F TB SATA Gb-s MB Cache -Inch Internal Bare-OEM Drives HD SJ Electronics or Amazon com Western Digital TB WD Blue SATA III RPM MB Cache Bulk OEM Desktop Hard Drive Computers amp Accessories According to that website the Spinpoint is very reliable and the SATA is mostly useless I've read elsewhere that a mb cache vs a mb cache will not make a difference either Secondly I have heard that WD has horrible support and that is exactly what I'm switching from Also I really only need GB but the new choices, Drive, Hard Need choices... TB is about the same price or cheaper SSD is too expensive for Need new Hard Drive, choices, choices... me right now and I'd like to keep it less that Is there another hard drive I should be looking at If not which one should I get

A:Need new Hard Drive, choices, choices...

I recently bought this one Newegg.com - Seagate Constellation ES ST500NM0011 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive It is one of the few remaining HDDs with a 5 year warranty and enterprize class is designed to run 24/7. I've had no problems with it.

Just a thought, I've had 2 HDD failures in my PC experience of about 18 years, both were WD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/259069-need-new-hard-drive-choices-choices.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi all,

I followed some instructions to remove the Windows 8 Dual Boot by just deleting the Windows 8 Partition and that there was no need to edit the boot menu as everything will be done automatically after restart.

Now, when I tried to reboot my computer, the computer hangs at the screen where you are suppose to select to boot up Windows 7 or Windows 8.

As I had deleted Windows 8 Already, it should not prompt me to select to boot Windows 8 but rather directly boot into Windows 7.

How should I proceed from here ? I am currently installing Fedora Dual Boot on my laptop so hopefully I am able to do some salvaging from there....

Thanks in advance !

Warmest Regards,
Zeke

A:Windows 7 Crashes at Boot Manager after Deleting Windows 8 Dual Boot

Take a windows 7 installation DVD/USB thumbdrive, boot from it, select "I want to repair my computer" and then do a "startup repair".

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/294576-windows-7-crashes-boot-manager-after-deleting-windows-8-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello all you Good People I have a brand new gaming PC - Gigabyte MA T-UD P and 7 12 Fedora Windows AMD Phenom II X Kingston HyperX G DDR Windows 7 and Fedora 12 MHz MSI R Radeon Corsair TX W ps with a Western Digital Black GB SATA Gb s HD and I am going to install Windows Home Premium bit and Fedora for the first time After several days of researching the web I have decided I need to post to possibly get my questions answered So forgive me if all this has been addressed elsewhere Windows Data After installing W and installing some programs I noticed several things that I want to change First of all I like to have partitions for a windows environment - for the OS gig for programs applications I install and uninstall on a regular basis for testing debugging etc purposes gig and one for Data gig all the partition sizes can be changed I want to keep the OS separate and minimal size for expansion defragging performance and potential reinstall purposes After a fresh install of just W no updates or anything it was approx gigs But after installing some updates and then some programs on D Program Files I noticed a horrible growth in my C partition of like gigs All I installed on D Program Files was an antivirus an antispyware ATI Catalyst drivers for my Ati Radeon Adobe Acrobat Reader and some other utilities for monitoring the hardware When I went back and looked at C I noticed for example that the ATI software was in the C Program Files C Program Files x C Program Data C Users lt name gt etc and also where I told it to install on D Program Files So it was installing data all over the place as did the other programs although none installed anything in the bit Programs Files area except for ATI Now I expected information to go into my C users lt name gt area but not into the other places on C So I started to investigate this and found several post that allow me to quot move quot or quot Junction quot the C Program Files Program Files x Program Data and Users but I also found warnings about windows updates not working if you did this HOWTO Move Program Files and User Data to another drive on Windows Yarrrb just to name one site I also found information on changing registry settings and quot unattended installations quot etc W likes to put Primary partitions - for the WinRE and for the Boot OS This leaves primary partitions available to use for other Oses My plan for partitions would be the following all sizes are approximations Windows WinRE - mb unless removed - Primary Partition C W bit OS gig - Primary Partition unless I cant adequately separate the program user data from the OS then it would be one large drive ugh Extended Partition of gig with Logical Partitions D gig for Programs Apps E gig for Data Fedora gig left over for Fedora not that Fedora and the apps data needs this much space Boot - meg - Primary Partition Extended Partition LVM of gig with to more or less Logical Partitions - gig or whatever swap - gig home - gig Data usr - gig Programs Apps installed or do my programs get installed in home Is this a bad idea to separate from var - gig tmp - gig maybe leftover for or use somewhere I know its quot tradition quot to use a partition for the swap but I have been reading that you can just make it a quot file swap quot swap and that that performs as well or better then a separate partition As for the actually installation of the Oses I plan to install W first then Fedora Questions I cant confirm that if I were to move junction unattended install etc C Program Files Program Files x Program Data and Users that Windows updates would indeed not work If for example they had to update something in IE or WMPlayer I read somewhere that some of Microsofts Apps have hard coded destination information like C Program files What would be the quot best quot method to relocate those folders if indeed that would not cause problems Do I really need to have a separate bit program file folder x I read that the exe determines where to look for ... Read more

A:Windows 7 and Fedora 12

I'll start by saying that a gaming PC should only be used for games, not for everything. That will solve most compatibility issues. As for Fedora, I'd buy a separate drive for it or virtualize it. As for the partitions, once you intially 7, you can crave up partitions with Disk Management, and then start shifting folders. Finally, use the PC only for games - I find this helps with everything from stability to performance. Oh, Adobe Reader is junk. Install PDF Xchange Viewer and choose which version you want x86 or x86-64 (64-bit).

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/71221-windows-7-fedora-12-a.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi I'm new at the forum and I hope you can help me The thing is that las wednesday I bougth a brand new Gateway NV U at BestBuy which came with a Windows home premium installed I have been working on Fedora for more than a year and a half Since I wanted to give win a try I made a partition exclusively for fedora and proceed with the instalation I let the wizard find a free space and & Windows Fedora 7 12 continue The wizard found there was Windows 7 & Fedora 12 another OS and ask me where I wanted it to place GRUB loader I choose the MBR the instalation finished as it should and i run fedora for a first time When I came back to check if everything was ok on windows I found out that Windows 7 & Fedora 12 it wouldn't run and a Gateway Startup Support window shows up It recovers the system and tells me that everything is ok and i should reboot The thing is that I have done this like times allready since yesterday Other problem is that at BestBuy they never give me the instalation disk they only gave me the recovery disks which I used allready and got the same result I think the problem is at the MBR any solution Thanks

A:Windows 7 & Fedora 12

Unfortunately, it's quite common for vendors like Gateway to not provide OS installation discs.

In retrospect, I would have imaged the system myself with a tool like Acronis or Macrium Reflect (free), which would have captured your MBR as well as your C drive.

Do you have another machine running 7 that you can use to create a system repair disc?
System Repair Disc - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/78562-windows-7-fedora-12-a.html
Relevancy 50.74%

The wife's laptop runs Windows 7 with a 500GB hard drive and 8GB of memory. Now she wants to dualboot windows 7 and Fedora 17. Would welcome any help and advice.

A:Dualboot Windows 7 and Fedora 17?

Hi,Before you begin, take a look here: How to: Install Fedora 17 on Windows 7 Dual Boot.Caveate: Before actually attempting the the dual boot, make sure that you have a solid backup of important data, just in case. I would recommend that you image your existing OS to an external hard drive before starting the installation of a second OS. Bleeping Computer has a forum for Linux & Unix. This would be the forum to ask any additional or follow-up questions in. Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/471811/dualboot-windows-7-and-fedora-17/
Relevancy 50.74%

Ok, so I have a Toshiba P205 and I bought windows 7 32-Bit. At the time I really didn't understand the difference between 32 and 64 bit. When I found out that it was just on how the processors were managed and if your computer could run 64-Bit it's probably better to run it, especially if you have 4 GB of ram.

Well, when I downloaded and installed Fedora 64 Bit, I get the message

BOOTMGR could not be found. Press CTRL ALT DELETE to reboot. Well I did that.

I tried using Windows 7 start up disk to see if I could repair the problem but it says that Windows 7 could not be found, well I reformatted my computer and deleted my entire hard drive to start fresh. I did that installed windows 7 again and also Fedora. I really want to keep both, is there a way to have both of these programs running in harmony or am I out of luck?

A:Windows 7 32-Bit and Linux Fedora 64-Bit

Try using two partitions, one for Win 7 & one for Fedora.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/64425-windows-7-32-bit-linux-fedora-64-bit.html
Relevancy 50.74%

So...I have a DELL laptop, had a problem with XP on it and could not find the reinstallation CD before, so i installed Fedora 7 on it...everything is good, but now that I got reinstallation CD back from DELL (FINALLY!!!), i'm trying to install XP Home Edition SP2.

So, i went to BIOS and changed settings to boot from CD-Rom, screen comes up "Click any buttong to boot from CD...."...i do that...and that's it...HDD light lights up and system just stands on that black screen...i thought maybe it takes a bit, waited for at least 10-15 minutes...still nothing...can anyone tell me, how do i get it to boot so that i can install XP Home on my laptop..or do i need to do full formatting of the drive, if yes, how do i format it in Fedora 7?

Thank you for your help in advance

A:Laptop: Fedora 7 -> Windows XP

Go to the BIOS to assure your optical drive is first in the boot order.
Intsert the disk. Shut down. Wait 12 seconds. Reboot.
Watch the screen for the choice to boot from the CD.You will be given a choice to format the disc. Choose NTFS.
If this doesn't work, there is a very good knowledge base article you can find at www.microsoft.com.
Be sure that disk is not scratched or marred in shipping. Be sure it is the Maroon, Grey, or yellowish green recovery disk. If you are using the blue disc, you have the incorrect disc.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-fedora-7-windows-xp.86749/
Relevancy 49.88%

I have an HP a n Windows XP problem While copying files i get at quot setup cannot copy file filename If you are installing from CD there may be a problem with the Windows XP CD quot After each error message it gave me the option to quot Retry or Skip quot this repeats at least times and retry does nothing What i did searched google many said bad RAM So i removed the the nd RAM stick has factory GIB and XP, Fedora, install Windows Cannot Ubuntu or retried windows xp installation This time no error occurred until but this time a different error quot the file xxxxx xxx was not copied correctly The file setup placed on your HD is not a valid Cannot install Windows XP, Fedora, or Ubuntu Windows XP system image If you are installing from CD there may be a problem with the Windows XP CD quot After each error message it gave me the option to quot Retry or Skip quot quot this Cannot install Windows XP, Fedora, or Ubuntu happens about times retry works with on that last time only BSOD comes on after and says to prevent damage the computer will turn off I Hooked up with a known working CD drive Hard drive and XP installation disc tested from a different system Still same error Tried switching the RAM with the one i previously pulled out and it errors at Problem with ubuntu It goes into installation attempts to copy files gets to about and stops It tells me an error about a CD ROM drive dirty CD-R DVD-R scratches faulty hard drive But again i have tested the hard drive IDE cable DVD drive and installation disc on a different machine Problem with Fedora It goes to test the disc and an error occurs before anything is even copied to the hard drive Error occurs something about media check in one of the first steps I have never done an installation with FEDORA I know it is not the hard drive not the CD drive and its not the disc I dont know what else to do

A:Cannot install Windows XP, Fedora, or Ubuntu

hello ,

how old is the mobo ?

you may need to flash the bios if it is too old

what type of mobo is it ?

try reseting the bios to default & then change the boot order so you have the cd rom as the first device & hard drive as second

how old is the hard drive and how many failed installs have been attempted to it ?

maybe both your stick of ram are bad

here is a link to a program that you can test them with

http://www.memtest.org/

you will have to make a bootable cd to use this program

also what about the power supply unit ?

how old is it ?

it couls be failing and gets stressed during the install to wich cause's this issue

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-install-windows-xp-fedora-or-ubuntu-334388.html
Relevancy 49.88%

After installing Fedora on its own 7 installing after 15 Windows Cannot Fedora repair MBR partition on the same hard drive as my previous Cannot repair Windows 7 MBR after installing Fedora 15 Windows installation whenever I tried to boot into Windows Cannot repair Windows 7 MBR after installing Fedora 15 through GRUB it would tell me quot BOOTMGR is missing Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart quot So I looked up how to repair the mbr booted up from usb drive that I burned the Windows image to and tried many things but nothing has worked All I have managed to do is format the Fedora partition delete it then extend it back to the Windows partition which did not help The GRUB bootloader is gone but after attempting to repair the mbr all I managed to do is delete GRUB but it still gives me the error quot BOOTMGR is missing quot when I try to boot System Recovery Options does say there is quot Windows Ultimate recovered on drive C which is where Windows was installed but bootrec ScanOs says there are no Windows installations I did everything in this tutorial MBR - Restore Windows Master Boot Record and it seemed like it worked but after booting it up it still said BOOTMGR is missing I also tried using the Bootrec exe tool doing the commands bootrec FixMbr and bootrec FixBoot all of which did not fix my problem Ideally I would not have to do a fresh installation Any advice on fixing my Windows MBR would be great

A:Cannot repair Windows 7 MBR after installing Fedora 15

May be best to clean install.
If you have a External HD, you could copy & paste your data.
Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console
than copy & paste your data to new HD.

All Linux code must be deleted using the CLEAN ALL command.As you have had linux on the HD you need do a Clean all & full format.

Try a full clean & full format in command prompt.

Type in command line
DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK # (win HD)
CLEAN ALL
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
ACTIVE
FORMAT fs=NTFS
ASSIGN
EXIT
EXIT

SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/172445-cannot-repair-windows-7-mbr-after-installing-fedora-15-a.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I recently bought sticks of total pc Patriot dual ram for Battlefield I origiannly had x Corsier pc ram With toal gb i thought i could make my pc faster But it was all a false dream when i added the new sticks the computer kept on crashing and crashing then finally when it doesn t crash and i try to run BF the game closes and many took new rams.. out crashes.. crashes...Installed still Too them but righ after it loads to a server so I thought it were the new sticks thats causing this so I took them out hoping it would go back to the way it was but same thing it crashes and crashes and when it doesnt and i try to run something that requres a lot of ram like a game it closes Too many crashes...Installed new rams.. but took them out and still crashes.. by it self i was running a very old gb hard drive as primary thats running xp pro and a pretty new gb western digital as secondary so i thought it might be my old hard drive so i take that out and put a new gb thats running xp pro x which never gave me any problems and i saved it for emergency moments like this and still no luck so i take out my secondary thinking its my power supply and still no luck I tried to get my secondary hard drive to install a fresh copy of xp pro but keep getting errors somebody PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me I am about to cry my computer spec could be found at geocities com rashidul fparts htm nbsp

A:Too many crashes...Installed new rams.. but took them out and still crashes..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/too-many-crashes-installed-new-rams-but-took-them-out-and-still-crashes.418223/
Relevancy 49.45%

Key Words USB Boot Dual Boot Linux Fedora Spins KDE Plasma Acer Aspire E UEFI Spins and Fedora 10 booting Dual Pl... 24 KDE Windows Rufus BIOS nbsp I promised I would do this if I got it to work and well it only took weeks this is my first Linux Dual booting Windows 10 and Fedora 24 Spins KDE Pl... install Please note that this is so far the only OS Windows specifically on my ACER that I have been able to perform a dual boot on I am using VirtualBox for Kali on my MAC and have not yet successfully executed that nor have I been able to reproduce this on a Dual booting Windows 10 and Fedora 24 Spins KDE Pl... Toshiba I have running XP that I was hoping to make a dedicated Fedora PC I will post as I work it out nbsp Its actually easy and I have not yet needed to use command lines in terminal or research Grub its just Dual booting Windows 10 and Fedora 24 Spins KDE Pl... a lot of the resources on the net miss out critical bits that collapse the process This means that I get into an endless research loop which accelerates frustration I will miss stuff that s important to users no doubt but hopefully I can save you some time on sourcing good resources for all of the rest nbsp From what I can gather Fedora is similar to Ubuntu so the Ubuntu guides ended up being really helpful across the board and there is more of them nbsp The Fedora Installation Guides are incredible but I found I could not commit to reading through all of them so I ended up hardly referencing them nbsp Oh and UEFI is actually awesome once you get the hang of it nbsp What I did nbsp Linux OS via download from the getfedora or fedoraproject sites was listed as an unstable way of downloading so I downloaded uTorrent and used the torrent directory at getfedora to download the torrent file I used the Fedora KDE Live x torrent file nbsp https torrents fedoraproject org nbsp I wanted to be safe so I checked that the completed torrent was not corrupted by checking off the hashsum by downloading and then I manually checked the two off I copy and pasted the checksum that came with the torrent download by copy and paste into a notepad document and checking it off against fedorahosted as it shows the checksum nbsp https fedorahosted org liveusb-creator nbsp uTorrent nbsp http www utorrent com intl en downloads complete nbsp I loaded my GB USB and downloaded Rufus If you have a UEFI Bios like I do and you are a newb like me use Rufus don t use anything else Rufus is easy and intuitive and there are a ton of images on Google images that verify your options quickly and easily In short what you need to do is select the option GPT with UEFI FAT and burn the ISO from there Im not quite up to speed on why the disk partitions should be allocated as Rufus suggests but the reason is a very good one so be safe and go with the recommended I also tried the numerous GPT etc options GPT is really important I figured it out after an IT friend told me by using this guide its kick ass good really in-depth http www rodsbooks com linux-uefi nbsp https technet microsoft com en-us library cc v ws aspx nbsp http www sevenforums com tutorials -convert-mbr-disk-gpt-disk html nbsp https boundlesslinux blogspot co nz how-to-create-gpt-disk-label-in-rhel-or html nbsp Partition your hard-drive I allocated GB and left it Unallocated in black Theres a ton of good tutorials on this and just did related searches on YouTube which installed a lot of confidence I also found this useful nbsp http linuxbsdos com a-beginners-guide-to-disks-and-disk-partitions-in-linux nbsp I turned off Fast Boot I think this step is extremly important and I could not find a reference to it for ages http linux about com od howtos ss How-To-Create-A-UEFI-Bootable-Linux-Mint-USB-Drive htm step nbsp To get into my BIOS I clicked the Start button went to Settings Recovery Advanced Settings Troubleshooting and followed the prompts to get into my BIOS This helped Windows or is very similar to Windows nbsp http www geek com chips windows-... Read more

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Series-Laptops/Dual-booting-Windows-10-and-Fedora-24-Spins-KDE-Plasma-on-ACER/td-p/455295
Relevancy 49.45%

Hello

I just install Fedora 17 dual boot with Windows 7 and every thing is fine with fedora.

Now I reboot my PC and choose Windows 7 from boot list but the screen become black and just cursor in the upper left appear and disappear

anything to do ? or I just lost my windows :'(

A:Windows 7 become a black screen after install fedora 17

Attempt in cmd:
bootrec/fixmbr
bootrec/fixboot
bootrec/rebuildbcd

Make sure that it sees the windows installation and initialize it. Good luck!

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/250097-windows-7-become-black-screen-after-install-fedora-17-a.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Just wondering if this is possibe.

Henry

A:Access Fedora linux files from windows 8 / 8.1

Found this: How to Access Linux Partitions (ext2, ext3, ext4) From Windows in Dual-Boot System?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/35248-access-fedora-linux-files-windows-8-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi,

Here's the issue I'm having. I need to delete Fedora 17 and repair the Windows Master Boot Record but my DVD drive crapped out on me a while back, so I can't do it from the Windows DVD and I don't have a Jump Drive large enough to use the USB Installer to repair it, so I'm wondering how to go about doing this without messing my whole system up. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks A Mill,
Corey

A:How do I delete Fedora 17 and repair Windows 7 Bootloader without DVD

You will need a Windows 7 DVD.

Error 0xc0000225 on boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/268669-how-do-i-delete-fedora-17-repair-windows-7-bootloader-without-dvd.html
Relevancy 49.45%

how can i share internet via wifi to windows 7 system using fedora as router..?

A:internet sharing via wifi from fedora to windows 7

please guys ..help me with this..
i have fedora system on one and windows 7 ultimate on other installed.
and i have only one LAN connection which is to fedora system.
so how can i use internet on windows 7 system using wifi...?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/181822-internet-sharing-via-wifi-fedora-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I m not sure whether this is a hardware issue or a software Windows and Installed now boot? new PSU won't Windows issue Okay I just installed a Corsair HX which is rated Silver which is apparently Installed new PSU and now Windows won't boot? a good thing I know this thing is more powerful than my previous W power supply Would changing the PSU effect Windows in any way I m more than sure everything is plugged in and tight I ve tried numerous times and whenever I boot up my computer it goes through the BIOS screen and then it goes to quot Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device quot The thing is Windows is already properly installed on one of the hard drives I have two SATA hard drives My computer was working perfectly fine with the other PSU but with this new one Windows will simply not boot I may try to reinstall Windows but can a new PSU really make it so you can t boot into Windows Also I checked my BIOS and everything is being recognized From the hard drives to the DVD drives I have two My specs are AMD Phenom II Quad Core GHz x GB SATA HDD Windows Ultimate New Corsair HX PSU Nvidia GeForce GT GB RAM nbsp

Relevancy 49.45%

I installed a new motherboard for my Windows 7 Home Premium system and was surprised to find Windows won't boot now. I tried repair option from the install disc but didn't help. I tried the in place upgrade but after selecting the Install now option I end up with a message that the system was booted from the install disc and I need to start Windows normally and then insert the install disc again which of course won't work when Windows can't boot.

I made a new install on a test hard drive to check my motherboard and it is working fine. What can I do? I would like to boot on my regular drive with all my data and programs and not have to go through the long process of finding and installing everything anew.

A:Windows won't boot after new MB installed

RFHarris, Welcome to SF. Sometimes you get lucky with this process sometimes you don't but read the attached article for some help. I like to clean install but I always back up my data and keep all my software ready, but it is a much longer process but one I prefer.
Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/162101-windows-wont-boot-after-new-mb-installed.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I used a program to make a USB bootable drive and installed xp off it, now it wont start on its own the usb bootable drive has "debug boot rdisk 1 partition 1-4" when I use partition 3 it starts fine, I checked that file out all it is is a boot.ini file with multi boot options, I tried to change the windows boot.ini file to somthing that I thought was correct , disk0 and partition 3 and rdisk 0 with multi set to 0, am I doing anything wrong?

In disk management it shows up as 0 and I'm using IDE mode in bios thanks!

The error I get when I try to boot up just using the hdd is "windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware config problem"
Could not read from the seleted boot disk. check boot path and disk hardware.

A:Windows XP installed from USB, won't boot on its own

I'm not sure if this will help your situation, but in your BIOS, do you have the Hard drive selected as the First bootable device?

If not, try setting it to before the USB/CD/Floppy and see if it will allow you to boot.

Other then this the only thing I could suggest is to reload with a disc..

With your boot.ini file do you have this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

*Note that instead of Professional you could also have Home..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-installed-from-usb-wont-boot-on-its-own.181666/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello All Windows Laptop Boot on 2003 Server in installed installation Dual already Windows 7 I have Windows Ultimate -Bit Edition installed and working fine Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop on the following laptop HP-Dv -Bit Core Duo GB RAM Nvidia Graphics Card It is the only operating system I have two partitions in the laptop harddisk Windows Ultimate is obviously installed on the first partition C I have D almost empty and I can shrink or expand it based on the requirements Now I want to install Windows SR SP Server on the same laptop in Dual Boot Configuration I have read that installing a Windows Xp family operating system on a machine after intallation of Windows Vista family operating system corrupts the boot sector and makes Windows unbootable since both have different operating system files I know i should have installed Windows first and then Windows to ensure a hassle free Windows dual boot system However I want now to save the hassle and do the other way around Can anyone guide me with exact steps or to any other working guide which can ensure that both operating systems would live in harmony in the scenario i have described Maybe someone with a similar experience can share the precautions and consequences Thanks for reading and helping in advance Regards nbsp

A:Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop

Couple of things you can do after installing 2003.

Boot from the W7 dvd select repair my computer and do a startup repair, most of the time this fixes the bootloader for W7, but then 2003 may not boot now. So then you need to install a BCD editor software in W7 to get both of them booting properly.

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

If startup repair does not get W7 booting again, there are some commands you can do from the W7 recovery environment to get the job done, (boot from the W7 cd, select repair my computer, then command prompt)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2003-server-installation-in-dual-boot-on-already-installed-windows-7-laptop.878387/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello All I have Windows Dual installation Windows Boot already 7 installed 2003 in Windows Server Laptop on Ultimate -Bit Edition installed and working fine on the following laptop HP-Dv -Bit Core Duo GB RAM Nvidia Graphics Card It is the Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop only operating system I have two partitions in the laptop harddisk Windows Ultimate is obviously installed on the first partition C I have D almost empty and I can shrink or expand it based on the requirements Now I want to install Windows SR SP Server on the same laptop in Dual Boot Configuration I have read that installing a Windows Xp family operating system on a machine after intallation of Windows Vista family operating system corrupts the boot sector and makes Windows unbootable since both have different operating system files I know i should have installed Windows first and then Windows to ensure a hassle free Windows dual boot system However I want now to save the hassle and do the other Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop way around Can anyone guide me with exact steps or to any other working guide which can ensure that both operating systems would live in harmony in the Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop scenario i have described Maybe someone with a similar experience can share the precautions and consequences Thanks for reading and helping in advance Regards

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-2003-server-installation-in-dual-boot-on-already-installed-windows-7-laptop-432998.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I have a new laptop pre-installed with Windows 10 on a primary m.2 disk.
It also has an HDD that I divided into partitions.

Now I have an old laptop that has Windows 7 that holds programs and files that I left behind. I want those programs accessible in a Windows 7 environment. Therefore, I cloned my Windows 7 to a spare partition on my laptop's HDD. Right now, I have Windows 10 on primary SSD and cloned Windows 7 on a partition of secondary HDD.

However, the problem is that, while the disk cloning process went successfully, it's not bootable. So my question is: how do I make the disk with Windows 7 bootable?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/57645-dual-boot-setup-pre-installed-windows-10-cloned-windows-7dows.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I Installed some optional windows updates one of which was Logitech and after the updates were installed and it automatically restarted I got a DISK BOOT FAILURE windows updates now Installed boot - won't INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER Installed windows updates - won't boot now so I put the windows CD in and then as it was loading windows files it Errored out with Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer Status xc e This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing Now I have tried unplugging everything USB and even only had DVD drive and SSD plugged in and I still get the error However Bios sees both of my DVD drives my TB and my gb SSD just fine and I get into them and see Installed windows updates - won't boot now partitions with gparted and everything so I really doubt there is anything wrong with my drives especially since this happened IMMEDIATELY after restarting after windows updates what do I do from here

A:Installed windows updates - won't boot now

Hello, welcome to SF!

Try a system restore: System Restore

See if that solves the problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/150186-installed-windows-updates-wont-boot-now.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Problem:

I installed windows seven and it boots up automatically without giving me the option to boot into my old vista partition.

Background:

I am sure this is something simple, but I can't get it working.
I had vista installed and I used partition magic to repartition my hard drive on my laptop.
I made the new partition come before my old partition, because I wanted windows 7 to be my primary eventually.

I think it may have someting to do with making the vista partition active, but I am notentirely sure how to do that, so if you can help me out i would really appreciate it, Thanks!

A:Installed windows seven, Now can't boot to vista.

Ok, so I did the commands in this post, except I changed the "XP" to "Vista" and it shows vista but it will not boot, it says I need to insert my vista disk..

Do I need to do that? Or is there something wrong in those commands?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/10378-installed-windows-seven-now-cant-boot-vista.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I screwed up. I have a 2 HD system. Windows 7 is on HD #2 in F: partition. Installed Ubuntu into empty C: partition on HD #1. Can't boot into Windows on HD #2. Probably overwrote the MBR? To boot into Ubuntu on HD #1 I changed the order of the HDs in the BIOS.

I tried the Windows 7 Repair Disc, but it wants to add a couple of startup options, both of which have the line "Windows Device: Partition = C (439999MB)." C: is not the windows device.

How do I get out of this predicament? I'm assuming there's some utility I can run from the DVD drive. I thought about EasyBCD but was told I had to run it from Windows.

A:Installed Linux - Can't boot into Windows

When you start Windows with the installation media, select Repair. Then get to a command prompt. When you're in the command prompt type bootrec /FixMBR

You can also try bootrec /ScanOS to make sure that your OS is still listed

Bcdedit.exe is used to set the default boot configuration

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installed-linux-cant-boot-into-windows.1065249/
Relevancy 48.59%

My situation is usually the opposite of what I've found online. I upgraded to Win 10 and I'm quite comfortable with it, the problem is that a critical application for my job does not work with this platform. As I have space, my preferred option is to dual boot with Win 10 and Win 8.1 on the system. Please guide me on how to go ahead with this endeavor.This is quite an urgent requirement so I'd appreciate help.

A:Dual boot Windows 10 and Win 8.1 with Win 10 installed

The M$ article:http://tinyurl.com/p79786jand another approach..http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how...If wishing to play or otherwise with win-10 I would be inclined to do on its own computer, or go the dual boot path.And... if dual booting... first ensure "all" data is safely duplicated/copied elsewhere - typically DVD, but an external hard drive (or NAS) too is nice(r) - just in-case...

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/dual-boot-windows-10-and-win-81-with-win-10-installed/144.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi My installation was FAILED i have windows xp bit pre-installed in C drive I was trying to install DUAL BOOT xp with Windows in D drive NTFS using ISO image file of Windows bit ultimate present in my HHD i mounted the ISO file of windows with the help of Virtual drive The installation started normally but in the FINAL step Finalizing installation when system restarts to perform configuration etc but instead (pre 64 bit Windows 32 7 dual with boot Xp bit installed) of that i got message quot Failed to install windows and rolling back changes quot Important NOTE Using virtual dvd rom i mounted and install dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit Windows quot bit quot all right There was NO problem at all of dual booting windows xp bit and windows bit on the same hard disk on different drives so my question is Windows bit cant be dual boot with pre loaded Xp bit or tell me how to do it please i got gb ddr ram and i want to run bit dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit OS windows to utilize it maximum My system info Dell OptiPlex GX ghz gb ram ATI HD- mb Hard disk space on D Drive is GB

A:dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit

One of Brink's great tutorials to get your teeth into: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/175846-dual-boot-windows-7-64-bit-pre-installed-xp-32-bit.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Well Im slapping myself on the head, I installed Acronis True Image Home 11 on my machine today and on reboot it now seems to be hanging on the Preparing Automatic Repair screen, nothing seems to be happening, just hangs on this screen for ages.......

troubleshooting steps so far as follows.......

tried automatic repair but fails on windows 8 bootup cd via repair
tried

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd

with no result, the error seems to be pretty early on during the boot process, I can see the windows 8 flag for a split second then it just reboots, second time it reboots it fires into the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen and seems to just hang there.

my spec is as follows.

Gigabyte Z77-D3H
3TB Main OS Drive
128GB SSD *in RAID mode with OS drive for acceleration use via Intel Smart Response Technology and Rapid Start enabled.
8GB Ram
i7 2600k CPU

Relevancy 48.59%

Earlier I installed DirectX on my computer Running WinXP on an AMD About mb mem gig processor something around there After I had installed DIrectX it asked me to reboot to complete installation No big deal I reboot and after the Windows load screen I get the blue screen that tells me there is a System Registry Error It flashes up for literally seconds so I m having a boot 9.0 DirectX Installed and cant Windows now hard Installed DirectX 9.0 and now cant boot Windows time getting the error code Okay the code is c It then says quot Beginning dump of physical memory quot in the next paragraph Any Installed DirectX 9.0 and now cant boot Windows help is much appreciated If you guys need more info I will do my best to provide it Thanks edit - Oh yeah When I reboot it asks me to log into one of the safe modes previous known settings or start windows normally When I try to do any of the safe modes safe mode networking command prompt it starts listing off drivers or something pauses for a few minutes and then reboots the cpu Ah nbsp

A:Installed DirectX 9.0 and now cant boot Windows

I did some reading on the error I'm getting:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm

So I do as the directions say. I put in my Win XP cd, and after the BIOS it says 'click any key to boot from CD'. So I press a key. Then it says it is detecting my hardware configuration, and goes into the Windows Setup screen (which is blue, obviously). Then it freezes. Just sits there.

What can I do? Is there any way to save my computer?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installed-directx-9-0-and-now-cant-boot-windows.487995/
Relevancy 48.59%

I need to run a Carestream driver for RVG 6500, a dental imaging sensor, and install an intra-oral camera by Runyes. I am currently using Windows 8.1 that came pre-installed on my HP Ultrabook, and even though I like the operating system, it does not install the applications I mentioned above

I would really appreciate if someone could help me resolve this issue.

Things I have Already Tried in Vain
PC Settings>Updates and Recovery>Recovery>Advanced Startup>Advanced Settings>Enable Unsigned DriversOracle Virtual Machine: The wireless network adapter for the RVG 6500 system cannot be configured in the virtual machine as it fails to provide the appropriate network driversDual boot with Windows Vista: Fails to read the hard drive for installation and does not install on portable drive

A:Dual Boot on pre-installed windows 8

Look at this thread. It's short and I think it'll give you the info you need.

Dual Booting Windows 7 with Windows 8 Pre-Installed UEFI

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/35179-dual-boot-pre-installed-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I have my cousins boot installed. Windows into won't after Computer computer that I replaced the Motherboard in and the HD She has a Pavillion Elite that s a little over a yr old I re-installed Win bit Then I installed Computer won't boot into Windows after installed. avg free version java Word Perfect pro Roxio Creator Pro Then replaced all her documents from the old drive She came for it and took it home last night She called today and brought it back saying she couldn t get it into windows I tried to do the windows repair on startup Got message unable to repair automatically The list of problems are as follows--- same as above unknown AutoFailover Bad Disk Then I ran the Windows Restore and tried different points Got this message Details failed to extract D Etevd RmMetadata Txf from the restore point Unspecified error during SR ox I tried once more and this time got the BSOD The only other thing that installed was about windows updates Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated I don t want to have to start all over I also ran the memory test x and it came back with no problems both times nbsp

Relevancy 48.59%

Installed program, now no boot into Windows, Help needed ASAP

I just installed this a few minutes ago, and then restarted my win7 64bit computer.

http://lifehacker.com/5561303/solut...peed-up-your-system-boot-fix-system-slowdowns

When the computer started to boot up, it got up to the boot page where the colorful spheres combine to for the microsoft symbol. After a few more seconds, I BSOD and get STOP: 0x0000001E. This is the only code that may seem to help.

Update: I got this after one another restart (total of 5 restarts, just hoping it may work)
An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

I have finals this week and the computer I'm using now sucks. Please help.

-Intel Core 2 Quad [email protected]
-Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
-4gb Mushkin DDR2
-EVGA Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+
-Win7 Home Premium 64
-Standard Case Fans
-Logitech X240 2.1
-Western Digital 500gb WD5001AALS, Western Digital 640gb WD6400AAKS (somehow connected)

-Standard CD
-Raidmax Smilodon

A:Installed program, now no boot into Windows

Safe Mode

Try booting into Safe Mode. Then remove the program.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installed-program-now-no-boot-into-windows.148393/
Relevancy 48.59%

hi all

i just installed a new motherboard and cpu and cant boot my primary windows drive because windows (7 64bit) is trying to boot with the old mobo drivers. i have reinstalled windows (7 32bit, i lost my 64bit dvd) on a secondary drive. is there a way to get rid of the old mobo drivers and install my new ones? there is nothing in the manual about it and i cant find a solution searching google

any help would be greatly appreciated as always

A:installed new mobo and cant boot windows

Did you try tapping F8 on boot and starting in safe mode?
You can try a startup repair but would probably still need the 64bit disk.

IF this is a OEM disk then it's license is tied to the original motherboard it was installed on and the install may not pass activation, a upgrade disk would take the license from the OS that was upgraded and of course a full retail can moved and reused in this case.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/installed-new-mobo-and-cant-boot-windows-699134.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I have a custom built system. windows 7 installed but it will not start up in this system. A friend put the hard drive into his system and Windows started up fine on his. I ran the memory check on windows and it never said that there were problems but you have to be able to get into windows to see the report so i can't be totally sure. The motherboard was sent back and checked by the mfg. and i doubt that the processor could be bad if it was able to install windows 7 onto the hard drive. My friend thinks it is a hardware issue, but i am conviced that it is some type of configuration issue. any advice or guidance would be grealty appreciated i have had this expensive paperweight sitting around for months and months because i am not very well versed in this field.

A:Windows 7 installed but will not boot on my system

Will the HD Drive show in BIOS?

Take a look at this posts:
Windows 7 Installation Errors : Troubleshoot Step by Step

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/202106-windows-7-installed-but-will-not-boot-my-system.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Recently installed Ubuntu to a dynamic partition I made before installing. It was separated from the main Windows partition.

Now, when I select Windows 7 from the GRUB menu, it goes about a quarter of the way through the boot animation before freezing and rebooting the computer.

Help?

A:Installed Ubuntu, can't boot Windows 7

Give me your system info and specs. Have you had any other problems with the computer? Is it even a desktop? We're going to need more information. "I broke something, fix it!" doesn't get you closer to the fix.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/installed-ubuntu-cant-boot-windows-7-a-639535.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I have been having nothing but trouble with my girlfriend s new computer installed? a with cd Windows drive won't boot meaning it was my old computer of course I never had problems with it when it was mine I should have known better than to give her an AOpen formerly ACER cd drive but it was what I had so in it went My problem is that windows will not boot from hd with any cd rive of any brand I tried Windows won't boot with a cd drive installed? three the Aopen is broken on any IDE channel primary or secondary no matter if it is keyed as master or slave Is Windows won't boot with a cd drive installed? this an IRQ problem in the bios Before switching the cd drives out I would press the eject button on the cd drive and then the video card would kick in and the login screen would show up but I couldn t get the cd to actually eject I think the motherboard uses pheonix bios The system is an MSI k N -G board with an athlon and a gigabyte of Windows won't boot with a cd drive installed? ddr samsung RAM a radeon pro and a wd hard drive Anyway what is going on here Any clues This crap is driving me CRAAAAAZY Chris nbsp

A:Windows won't boot with a cd drive installed?

This sounds like a fun one...at least from a few hundred miles away.

Can you clarify a few things?

1.) The HD is currently set to master. Correct?
2.) Does the CD Drive show in the BIOS?
3.) Can you boot using a bootable CD? (W2k or WinXP)
4.) Can you boot into safe mode with the CD-Rom present?

(BTW...if you're unable to ever open the CD-Rom...most CD-Roms have an emergency eject (a little pinhole on the front) that you can stick a paperclip in to manually eject.)

I don't think this is an IRQ issue...,but we'll see...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-wont-boot-with-a-cd-drive-installed.416251/
Relevancy 48.59%

I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit installed on my SATA 1TB HDD. I also have an IDE 250GB HDD onto which I've installed Windows XP Professional 32-bit. Using DualBootPro,I was able to get Windows 7 to boot correctly, however XP now gives me the error:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

I have Googled the heck out of this problem and tried a number of fixes that have not worked:

I tried replacing the hal.dll file with the one from the XP install disc.
I tried rebuilding the boot.ini file.
I tried adding Windows XP boot info to the windows 7 bootloader.

My bcdedit output in command prompt can be viewed on the Untitled-1.jpg attached.

I am fairly experienced in dealing with some of this stuff but I'm stumped. Please help!

A:Dual boot XP with windows 7 already installed

Hello, welcome!
It is unlikely you are really missing hal.dll. What is most likely happening is that XP is looking at the wrong place to boot from. You were on the right track rebuilding the boot.ini file, but perhaps you need to go farther. The fact that you are getting that message means nothing is wrong with the MBR.
What you need to do it manually edit your boot.ini file. Rembember that the drive/partition numbering starts at 0. I have attached a sample boot.ini file for you to look at. Your problem is probably the drive number.
boot.ini.txt

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/46424-dual-boot-xp-windows-7-already-installed.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I have and dual boot 1st How can installed) Windows 7 I have (8.1 8.1 already How can I have Windows 7 and 8.1 dual boot (8.1 1st installed) seen steps to do this on this forum when Windows is on the machine first but this does not fit my situation as I will soon convert my Windows to Windows because I don't want it to be OEM any more so I can transfer my whole system over to a new pc in the future via image backup I also have a full version of Windows Once I upgrade OEM Windows to Windows how can I used the full version of Windows to create a dual boot Is upgrading Windows to Windows likely to cause any problems According to the test program the only issue is Skyrim won't work any more And I saw online a Windows driver for my printer PS I would want both operating systems to be on their own separate partition FURTHER INFORMATION THAT MAY BE OF INTEREST I tried upgrading Windows OEM to Windows full version but it did not work so I reverted to my image backup to make my pc same as it was before So instead I am wanting a dual boot with Windows and Thanks for reading my post

A:How can I have Windows 7 and 8.1 dual boot (8.1 1st installed)

Hello and welcome winuserd have a look at this Dual Boot Installation - Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista it might give you an idea on what to do.
It is from the 8 forum's site (a sister site to this one) - might be an idea to join up to that as well I did and I upgraded my main laptop and the Sandy Bridge from 7 to 8 then 8.1 with just an upgrade disk (the 8.1 was a free download).

Having said that I have both the 8's running in 7 mode (look) using Classic Shell as I prefer the desktop look but they are certainly faster than my other 7 machines.

PS I forgot to say I cloned the 7 to new drives before I upgraded so that I can flip the old drive back in if things go south.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/323869-how-can-i-have-windows-7-8-1-dual-boot-8-1-1st-installed.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi everybody I have a problem and I searced many site for solution I have 7 after Windows Ubuntu can't boot installed a pc originally Window installed I install ubuntu to different partition When Windows 7 can't boot after Ubuntu installed computer start up Grup is loaded normally in Grup menu There is Windows Recovery and Windows loader Windows Recovery works fine but Windows loader does not work When I chose them a blank page appears then return grup menu I try to fix MBR by using Windows Recovery DVD on cmd But Windows still cannot boot By the way on recovery option My Windows is shown like that quot Windows Professionel E quot I am sure that My System Drive is C letter There is partition on ubuntu about Windows sda is about Windows Recovery Totaly size gb sda is about What I don't now t is called System Reserved Totaly size abourt Mb sda is about Windows There is no description or Label for it Totaly size gb Can Somebody Help me Please

A:Windows 7 can't boot after Ubuntu installed

Information
We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.
& made the Startup Repair CD.
startup repair disc-create

Did you make the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

Error 0xc0000225 on boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/221047-windows-7-cant-boot-after-ubuntu-installed.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I have a Sony Vaio VPCEB C E Sony VPCEB C E updates Download updates for VPCEB C E It had Windows home premium x on it and installed xp W7 Windows first. with 7 dual boot Cannot but the hard drive went bust and I Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. lost everything I own a Windows professional x cd and license which I used as my laptop did not come with cds I would like to play some old games which do not run correctly in quot xp mode quot Anyway back on track a week ago I attempted to dual boot it using the excellent tutorial on this forum everything went fine it rebooted Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. and booted into xp x I have slipstreamed my SATA driver and net framework x everything was looking up I tried to install easybcd but it needed net framework my VAIO is capable of running xp because at the Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. above link it gives me the correct SATA driver and a utility to create a cd with the correct drivers for my software at this point I had no internet so I shut down the laptop and ran easybcd from windows I ran easybcd v and foolowed the guide once done I moved a few files across to the windows xp partition drivers mainly I had not spare cds so I used total mounter to mount a virtual RW cd drive I then rebooted the computer and selected Windows XP from the boot menu and it complained about ntoskrnl exe being invalid I sorted this out and since then it has suffered from a BSOD B I have wiped the data on it and installed xp but it would move the files onto the disk and and reboot into the BSOD To get rid of this I had to change the boot drive in W from the system reserved partition to my main C drive i then deleted the system reserved partition and now it will boot into win and complete the installation of xp but once the laptop reboots after installation to boot xp for the first time I am met with a BSOD again B I am literally stuck I have searched and searched for answers to this problem I have tried many things but they all end in that BSOD after installation I know I have the correct driver because it worked the very first time I have tried burning a second copy of the xp installation but there is no difference If I select safe mode is BSOD's at acpitabl dat my research has told me that it is due to an incorrect driver which cannot be the case because it has worked before I have a feeling it is something to do with easybcd Is there an easy way to undo what it has done Since I ran easybcd xp BSOD's I have read about putting sata into IDE compatibility mode in the bios I cannot do that my current bios R Y does on give my the option to As I say this has been happening for a week i have searched using google and read many pages but not found a solution It would be great if someone could say quot run cmd and type 'boot xp damn you quot quot but that said it wasn't a recognised command how apt

A:Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first.

Did you have a look at Option 2 here: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/265202-cannot-dual-boot-xp-windows-7-w7-installed-first.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I'm hoping someone can help me with a boot issue on my Windows 7 Professional desktop computer.

I want to encrypt the Windows partition with True-crypt but I have several hard disks and somewhere along the line the boot-file (is it BCD?) has been put on a different hard disk. I can find out what disk by looking in the BIOS to see what drive boots first but other than that I don't know what to do or how to (if required) edit the file.

Any help much appreciated.

A:Windows does not boot from the drive it is installed on.

Can you give us a screen snip of disk management ?

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/299292-windows-does-not-boot-drive-installed.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Into windows 7 now, it says windows 7 is compressed or something.
So i gotta get back the windows 7 boot loader? I tried but when i put the disk in it loads and where its suppose to ask where you have windows 7 installed, nothing gets showed there. It's just blank.
Any help?

A:Installed Ubuntu 9.10 after windows 7 and Can't boot-

Hello RileyRandom,
When booting from the install dvd, are you able to reach the "System recovery Options" window which has the "Load Drivers" button at the bottom? If yes, then click on "Load Drivers" and use the mini Explorer to right-click on the boot-drive and deselect "Compress this Drive" and choose Apply to sub-folders and files. Then close all windows and reboot.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/73376-installed-ubuntu-9-10-after-windows-7-cant-boot.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I installed Windows 8 RP on my laptop on another partition but my Windows 7 in C:/ got lost. How do I install it again?

A:HELP! Installed Windows 8 (dual boot) but lost Windows 7 Basic

My dual boot works, Win7Ultimate64 on C and Win8Enterprise64 on D, I just hope you did a system image or back up before installation, not unless you are sure of what you are doing.. Before Win8 installs it will ask you the location where you will have it installed, if Win7 really got lost maybe you mixed up the installation.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/8140-help-installed-windows-8-dual-boot-but-lost-windows-7-basic.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi I have looked all over for info on what will happen if I try to install windows on a new partition for a lenovo laptop that already has windows installed and this does not seem to be a common scenario nbsp TLDR I want to install windows side by side with Windows that is already installed but what I read HERE nbsp made me worried that installing windows on a windows box was not going to on a has windows boot windows dual 7 Installing machine installed that 10 already be the same as installing windows on a windows box I was going to do it from windows by mounting an iso but I could also just do it from a usb boot whatever is Installing windows 7 dual boot on a machine that already has windows 10 installed the easiest nbsp Warning You must install the older operating system first and then install the more recent operating system If you don't for example if you install Windows Vista on a computer already running Windows you can render your system inoperable This can happen because earlier versions of Windows don't recognize the startup files used in more recent versions of Windows and can overwrite them Can anyone advise as to whether or not this is a true danger or if there is a way to get around the problem This is a work machine which is why I want to do this over the weekend because I can't afford to be offline during the week testing this kind of thing nbsp Thanks for the help Luke Reasons for doing this nbsp I am a developer and my new laptop came with Windows I tried in the beginning to get some of the pre-installed bloatware removed with mixed luck tried several different reset scenarios none of them quite did it I manually uninstalled what I could but the machine has never run well despite having reasonably good specs gen i SSD gigs of ram it doesn't run as well as the year old dell of similar specs that it replaced after dying It comes out of sleep slowly and gets bogged down by visual studio and a lot of my other tools I have gone through a lot of tweak guides and disabled unused settings and spent a fair amount of time on nbsp Long story short I have a feeling a fresh install of windows will run fine on this hardware and I really don't want or need any of the features of Windows which I don't hate it just doesn't have any benefits for me especially on my developer machine and I want to install windows to see if it works better nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f4e7dfe7-60c2-4e76-a362-efab9999a47b/installing-windows-7-dual-boot-on-a-machine-that-already-has-windows-10-installed?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 48.59%

Dual boot XP with windows 7 on 2 Harddrives - (Windows 7 already installed)

I've read that i should install XP first. But I already have windows 7 installed and dont want to wipe that drive clean and reinstall.

Is this possilbe? To add a new sata hard drive and install xp 32bit to an existing PC running Win7 64 bit. With having a boot option at start up?

A:Solved: Dual boot XP with windows 7 on 2 Harddrives - (Windows 7 already installed)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dual-boot-xp-with-windows-7-on-2-harddrives-windows-7-already-installed.902342/