Windows Support Forum

Default User Change

Q: Default User Change

I have set up my partners computer with two users - Admin User Default Change and one for her She has a habit of turning the computer on and going away for some time an hour or so while it boots up She tells me that sometimes when she gets back to the computer it has booted into the Admin user I Default User Change do not password protect that user I cannot understand how that happens except Default User Change I have noticed that this user is the default user Default User Change in that there is a box around it and just pressing Return takes it system into that user profile So my questions are Is it possible that after some time waiting for a user selection the machine adopts the 'default' user Everything I know suggests not Is there a way of changing the 'default' user It may be that she presses Return to turn the screen on after leaving it and by so doing selects the Admin user I realise I can password protect the Admin user and that would solve the problem but I would really like to understand what is going on

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Default User Change

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Default User Change

Hello John,

I suppose this could be from her being logged into the Admin account and put the PC to sleep. If it is from a cold boot, then she may have press Enter/Return at the right time to basically select the Admin account to log in to. The Admin account would be listed first by default since it's normally first alphabetically. Without a password, Windows would log right into it when selecting it.

One option would be to password protect the Admin account so that it cannot be logged in to by mistake. This would be the easiest option.

Another option would be to set Windows to require users to enter both a user name and password to log in instead of just selecting a user and entering that account's password. Log On with User Name and Password
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/302369-default-user-change.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi,

my system is a fully patched win xp sp2 with 2 User accounts (admin and limited). I am running Spybot s&d with tea timer on. Everything has been running smoothly. Yesterday I took some adminstrative action (index.dat suite, deletion of cookies etc) after that tea timer gives a warning "Win Logon, Default User name has been changed from Admin to Limited and back" every time I switch between my accounts. Is this regular xp behavior or did some setting got messed up? I am not using "autoadminlogon" and haven't messed with the winlogon registry entry in any way. At least I think.

Any ideas appreciated. It is quite annoying to have these pop ups every time I change accounts.

Relevancy 67.51%

Hello,

A few months ago I purchased a Toshiba Satellite Laptop that has Windows 7 installed. I blew through the set up process and I realize that I made a descision that I want to change.

My computer had a default setting for the user of OWNER-TOSH when I look at our network. How can I change that to a different name? I have cruised around the Control Panel and just can't find it.

Thanks for the help!

-Dave

A:Default User Account Name Change?

The best way is to MAKE and new account and then move all of your files to the new account. You will need to make all of you customization again.

AFTER you have moved everything and have been running the new account for a while (several days), then you can delete the account AND files from within Control panel.

Yes, there is a way to rename the account, BUT, the folder under "Users" will stay the same.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/default-user-account-name-change.929744/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hey guys. Does anyone know how to change the DEFAULT user agent?

I know about developer tools and how i can change it EVERY time i open a new tab. But i wanna set the default UA to a custom string. So that every time i open the IE9 it defaults to my custom UA.

Thanks!

A:Change IE9 DEFAULT user agent

I don't believe you can change the Default to anything other than IE.

The best way would be to install the other browsers.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/change-ie9-default-user-agent-669500.html
Relevancy 67.51%

When i print a pdf for instance it gives a name for the author only problem it isn t my name i traded laptops with a friend User Default ? Vista - Change and her Change Default User - Vista ? name comes up as pdf author and her folder is default download location etc How do i change this is this called default user on start up welcome screen there is an icon for me and and for guest -there is a third other user me my friend and another listed under users in explorer that i would also like to delete what happens if i change default user loose installed applications desktop themes icon arrangements or other application settings or folders or files what should I save before deleting quot default user quot what will i have to re-setup thanks in advance mac Toshiba Satellite A OS Version Microsoft Windows Vista amp Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor AMD Turion tm X Mobile Technology TL- x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Radeon X Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ATI SB Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated and Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

Hello i hope someone can help me with this problem.

It looks like some apps got problem with directory letter "ł"

All i want is to change the name of my user folder from "Paweł" to "Pawel" .

default patch atm is c:\users\Paweł

I wanted to create new account Pawel and delete Paweł but i won't be able to move all the settings from what i read on google...

If anyone is interested i will just mention one example the game im talking about is Pandora First Contact this is the error message(wait a sec i will post picture).

Thanks for help in advance.

A:How do I change default user folder name?

you have to change user name to make the change on the user folder ,I do believe, instruction in tutorial below
User Account Name - Change in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/40082-how-do-i-change-default-user-folder-name.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I purchased a new laptop and was using it with only one account I had a custom lock screen However on making another account the lock screen became a default swirling image I do not know How do the default change multiple user screen? I how to change that I attempted the following solution Here's how to change the sign out screen go to folder C ProgramData Microsoft How do I change the multiple user default screen? Windows Right click How do I change the multiple user default screen? on SystemData - gt Properies- gt Security- gt Advanced- gt ChangeEnter your user name You must be in Administrators group then click on Check Names- gt OKPlace a tick on quot Replace owner on subcontainers and objects quot click Apply - gt OK Yes- gt OK- gt OK- gt OK Go to C ProgramData Microsoft Windows SystemData S- - - ReadOnly LockScreen Z You will see images of the Seattle Space needle in this folder To view these images Right click on it- gt Properties- gt Securities- gt Edit- gt AddEnter your user name Click on Check Names- gt OK- gt OK- gt OK Replace these images with whatever images you want make sure they have the same names and resolution as shown in LockScreen Z IMPORTANT After swapping the images Right click on image- gt Properties- gt Securities- gt EditMake sure SYSTEM is in the user list with permission shown below If SYSTEM is not in the list you have to add it to the list using the steps above Read amp ExecuteRead Sign out you should see the new Image However it did not work for me In the LockScreen Z folder there was a different image I was also unable to delete that as it said I did not have the permission When I purchased the laptop I had it set up in the store itself They misspelled my name I then synced my account to my Microsoft account so it was resolved Apparently when changing the permissions my local account was referenced How can I solve this

A:How do I change the multiple user default screen?

Hello Rahul, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You might see if the tutorial below may be able to help. OPTION ONE is the easiest way.

Lock Screen Default Background Image - Change in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/73316-how-do-i-change-multiple-user-default-screen.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi everyone, I was wondering if it is possible to change the icons for default folders in the user folder (My Documents, Downloads, Saved Games, etc). These folders have a different properties window that includes a "Customize" tab, but no option to change the icon.

Any help would be appreciated!
~Rjes

A:Change User Default Files' Icons?

Hello Rjes,

Most certainly,

Option Two in the tutorial below can help show you how to.

User Folders - Change Default Icon

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/138726-change-user-default-files-icons.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I purchased a new laptop and was using it with only one account I had do default user How change screen? the multiple I a custom lock screen However on making another account the lock screen became a default swirling image I do not know how to change that I attempted the following solution Here's how to change the sign out screen go to folder C ProgramData Microsoft Windows Right click on SystemData - gt Properies- gt Security- gt Advanced- gt ChangeEnter your user name You must be in Administrators group then click on Check Names- gt OKPlace a tick on quot Replace owner on subcontainers and objects quot click Apply - gt OK Yes- gt OK- gt OK- gt OK Go to C ProgramData Microsoft Windows SystemData S- - - ReadOnly LockScreen Z You will see images of the Seattle Space needle in this folder To view these images Right click on it- gt Properties- gt Securities- gt Edit- gt AddEnter your How do I change the multiple user default screen? user name Click on Check Names- gt OK- gt OK- gt OK Replace these images with whatever images you want make sure they have the same names and resolution as shown in LockScreen Z IMPORTANT After swapping the images Right click on image- gt Properties- gt Securities- gt EditMake sure SYSTEM is in the user list with permission shown below If SYSTEM is not in the list you have to add it to the list using the steps above Read amp ExecuteRead Sign out you should see the new Image However it did not work for me In the LockScreen Z folder there was a different image I was also unable to delete that as it said I did not have the permission When I purchased the laptop I had it set up in the store itself They misspelled my name I then synced my account to my Microsoft account so it was resolved Apparently when changing the permissions my local account was referenced How can I solve this

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/73316-how-do-i-change-multiple-user-default-screen.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I bought an HP Pavilion floor demonstration computer from a general retailer. The salesman assured me that all previous user accounts and information had been removed and the computer restored to its factory configuration before I took delivery. However, when I boot it up from a cold (power off) start, I get an error saying that the password entered for user Kiosk is invalid. Kiosk is apparently the name of the default start up user account. My workaround is simply to switch users to the administrator account. The Kiosk account does not appear in the list of user accounts in the 'add or remove user accounts' tab in the control panel. The Kiosk file folder in the Users folder is empty. How can I change the default start up user account? The store did not create a password reset disk.

A:Change start up default user account

Will it log in now using the Admin account? Is this the hidden Admin account?

If you don't want to run under the hidden Admin account, can you use it to create a new User account with Admin privileges?

With the huge load of bloatware that throttles Win7 on HP's I would consider Clean Reinstalling Windows 7 Factory OEM.

Another option is to run full Factory Recovery to get a fresh start with your personal owner's User Account which often can never be fully deleted due to security precautions: HP Recover Windows 7 Operating System Using HP Recovery - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/215721-change-start-up-default-user-account.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hey,

There are a couple of default values that I'm looking to change in Vista.

First and most importantly is there a way to change the location of the default "Users" folder. My new laptop came with two separate hard drives, and the main C:/ is 30gb, while the secondary D:/ is 100gb. I'd like to make the D drive my main folder for Users files, such as Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, etc. For example, make it an easy to remember folder like D:/Users.

How do I go about doing this? Also, whenever I want to open a document or music file, the default location that it would first open is the new D:/Users, not the old location. This would make things much easier for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Relevancy 67.08%

I've just completed a restore on my Asus K72F. It's hard drive is split in two: Drive C, where Windows 7 and all software and programs are and Drive D, which is empty.

Before the restore I had all my user files such as My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, Contacts, Downloads, Favorites, etc. save to Drive D, utilizing it just for "storage". I'll be darned if I can remember how I set that up. I also had my Libraries "link" to those files on Drive D.

Can anyone help? I need instructions on have my user files automatically save to Drive D and good instructions on setting up Libraries.

Thanks so much!

Lisa

A:Change Default Drive for User Files

Scroll down to the "Windows 7" section on this page:
http://www.techerator.com/2009/06/ho...music-folders/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/change-default-drive-for-user-files-634391.html
Relevancy 67.08%

How do I change the default windows LOGON name in Windows XP Home, SP3? I tried going to the registry to HKLM, then software, microsoft, windowsNT, current version, winlogon, then modified the data in both the strings "AltDefaultUserName" and "DefaultUserName". It worked fine after the first reboot, but went back to the old name after the second restart.

A:Solved: How to change the default windows user name?

Start, Control Panel, User Accounts. You should be able to modify whatever preferences you want in there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-to-change-the-default-windows-user-name.942218/
Relevancy 66.22%

While inspecting the HKLM Software Microsoft WindowsNT Current Version winlogon I noticed the Default User Name still holds a previous record of previous ISP email address existing previous to Jan I did go into the Microsoft account and change the default email for the Win Microsoft Acct when I changed servers Obviously there hasn't been an issue with this inaccurate registry default user entry but I wondered if it should be changed in the registry The reason I went to that registry entry was due to the Pin log in routine Yesterday the pin log in was not acceptable and I change in Name MSaccount & in User log in HKLM-Winlogon Default had to use the original password The Anniversary update kb has been installed for a few days so it isn't a direct result I thought it might be connected to the fact I was trying to get a share working from the laptop Home MS account to the Desktop Pro local account no log in It was an unsuccessful effort This morning the laptop log in was a choice structure -use password or use pin- icons Previously I just started typing the Pin into the log in bar Is this the log in routine now Default User Name in HKLM-Winlogon & change in MSaccount log in

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/64340-default-user-name-hklm-winlogon-change-msaccount-log.html
Relevancy 66.22%

NOTE - I'm quite a noob - but can follow directions Some of your eliminate MS change default and Want login user folder to tutorials are awesome Here's Want to eliminate MS login and change default user folder my situation I have preinstalled Win on new desktop now upgraded to When I first started setting it up and it required an account login I didn't really realize that it was going to exist outside my computer I used my full name and primary email account for it Then it set up a Want to eliminate MS login and change default user folder folder s under Users using my name in the file structure When I copied over say quot Documents quot from my Win machine they now show in a path of This PC Windows Users myname Documents I will not be using quot the cloud quot for anything and want to only have a local account with Admin Privileges and a local account for using of the time Hence a multi-part question If I make a change to my MS password like setting it up with a non-identifying username password with a Hotmail email which I never use how will it affect my docs pics music etc that is under Users myname If I change the MS login to a LOCAL login what effect would it have instead Is there a way to get myname out of the file structure and rename it something neutral or will that bring chaos And as long as I'm asking things I created the new Admin-Account and Daily-Account but it seems like neither of them can access anything They just get quot permission denied quot - even on the Admin one I set up a Hotmail account for them both so they have MS logins as well Can I just switch them to LOCAL logins as well Sorry this is so long I'm just very confused

A:Want to eliminate MS login and change default user folder

Give these a try:

Local Account - Switch to in Windows 8
User Account Name - Change in Windows 8

Please understand that I did not try to unravel everything in your post, or try to answer every question, because it was just too much (for me personally) to try and answer all of your questions; however, the above should get you started nicely. Good luck.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/34086-want-eliminate-ms-login-change-default-user-folder.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a local user account that comes up as the default user when Windows10 boots up that I would like to remove.

I have tried the usual user modification menus but this account does not show up. It is annoying to have to go through this false log in every time I start the computer.

Help?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/62651-delete-local-user-account-change-default-account-start-up.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Could use some help on how to allow a user to our default own default as still user browser in Explorer the allowing and to their set Internet Windows 10 Keeping set their default browser permanently even with IE being set via Group Policy as the usual default For logistical reasons we are still on IE instead of using Edge for our default browser Keeping Internet Explorer as our default browser in Windows 10 and still allowing the user to set their own default - mostly because our software hasn't been tested with Edge and to avoid overall confusion in having made the jump as a company to Windows recently I successfully created a default configuration associations xml file and it is pushing IE as the default However knowing we have some users who would like to use a browser other than IE and let it be their default we're trying to accommodate them while still enforcing the policy in place Additionally we don't want to dissuade users from utilizing Edge so we Keeping Internet Explorer as our default browser in Windows 10 and still allowing the user to set their own default haven't tried removing it from public visibility within the OS nbsp The users in question are local admins on Keeping Internet Explorer as our default browser in Windows 10 and still allowing the user to set their own default their machines and should in theory be allowed that capability Any suggestions

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a133071d-3c6b-4777-a6b3-2214fc828252/keeping-internet-explorer-as-our-default-browser-in-windows-10-and-still-allowing-the-user-to-set?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 53.75%

I changed the values in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList in order to move the default user locations to my second partition. I then created a new user profile but when I try to login I get the message 'The User Profile Service failed the login'. When I set these values back to normal, new accounts work fine but I really want my user accounts on the second partition.
What can I do about this?

A:'User Profile Service failed' when changing default user location

I have done this on another computer with success - perhaps I am missing a step out?
The string values (apart from programdata) were changed to E:\..... instead of %systemdrive%\.....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profile-service-failed-when-changing-default-user-location.992872/
Relevancy 53.75%

As of today in our domain environment consisting of Windows and Windows Enterprise machines we are experiencing the quot User Profile service failed the sign-in - User profile cannot be loaded quot error message whenever a user tries to login This only affects users new to the particular machine If they have signed on before and already have Default service 8 User Profile loaded. be Profile Profile sign-in Win Environment Domain in Corrupt The failed User 7 the User Win cannot and - a cached account the computer logs them in with no issue This is occurring on both Win and Win machines We are an academic institution so this is becoming a huge problem in our labs Students generally use different computers so this is popping up very frequently I have a solution for the issue It appears that on the non-working machines that the quot Default quot user profile is corrupt I have discovered that if I find a machine Win or Win doesn't matter that is allowing first time users to logon I can copy the quot Default quot user profile and replace the corrupt one I must first permanently delete the corrupt profile before copying over the new one Corrupt Default User Profile in Domain Environment - The User Profile service failed the sign-in User Profile cannot be loaded. Win 8 and Win 7 I am doing this over the network by navigating the C users folder Even this way is becoming cumbersome though as we have over computer in labs I have googled and googled and I keep seeing the same answers offering various solutions none which are any more practical than my method I cannot find information on a cause or a reason of why this would just crop up out of nowhere I suspect maybe a Windows update but I cannot verify that yet If anyone can offer any advice share a possible patch it would be much appreciated Thanks nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5a617fa3-ddbe-49a2-af23-e68fd6b015a3/corrupt-default-user-profile-in-domain-environment-the-user-profile-service-failed-the-signin?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 51.6%

(reposted from Customization)

Having just learned from an OLD post here that renaming a user account apparently doesn't change the order in which the corresponding logon icons appear at startup -- due to the order being apparently determined by when each folder was originally created, which was when this computer was first opened back in 2011 -- I want to be able, after creating a new user account, to migrate data from the account whose name I changed. I'd been previously suggested to try User Profile Wizard from Forensit.com... would this be a good idea, or can you suggest something different?

HP/Compaq CQ2014, AMD E-300, Radeon HD graphics, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit custom SP1, 3MB RAM, 500GB disk

Bob

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/392449-create-new-user-migrate-old-users-data-change-logon-icon-order.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Having just learned from an OLD post here that renaming a user account apparently doesn't change the order in which the corresponding logon icons appear at startup -- due to the order being apparently determined by when each folder was originally created, which was when this computer was first opened back in 2011 -- I want to be able, after creating a new user account, to migrate data from the account whose name I changed. I'd been previously suggested to try User Profile Wizard from Forensit.com... would this be a good idea, or can you suggest something different?

HP/Compaq CQ2014, AMD E-300, Radeon HD graphics, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit custom SP1, 3MB RAM, 500GB disk

Bob

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/392313-create-new-user-migrate-old-users-data-change-logon-icon-order.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hey I recently started to notice some strange activity on my MacBook, and am unable to change the root user, along with this on my console the country code sometimes changes to NL without me doing so. Sometimes I also get a message on my console saying "parental controls, start observing". Is there something fishy going on ?, any help much appreciated, thanks

A:Unable to change root user and country change on console, mac osx

Please post any operating (or infection) problems to the Mac forum area, as they are not handled here ...........

Operating Systems → Mac OS  ...............

Thank You - - - -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/552928/unable-to-change-root-user-and-country-change-on-console-mac-osx/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi there,

In Win-7, as an admin-user, it was easy to change the picture from another user. In Win-8 I'm only able to find where I can change my own picture. Can't I set it anymore for other users?

Cheers.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/11409-change-user-account-picture-another-user.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I installed Win x with a user name quot user quot a long time ago At some point I changed the User's name to quot Karen quot to make it easier to spot on the home network etc The Computer Name quot Dell quot has not changed Today I wanted to connect to the computer quot Karen quot using my workgroup not a homegroup All of my other computers now share with workgroup However the computer quot I Name user the and user's the Can remove old change completely name? Karen quot does not Can I change the user's Name and completely remove the old user name? require a password to logon so when I tried to connect via the workgroup I got a popup box asking for the Credentials to Connect I need to enter the User Name and Password to connect to quot Dell quot And I and wife don't know the password Anyways I reset the password using the quot Reset Forgotten Password quot tutorial going into registry etc That worked but I still could not access the computer Karen - windows would not accept the password Running quot net users Can I change the user's Name and completely remove the old user name? quot I see that I don't have a User quot Karen quot I have a user quot user quot So i used that user name with the new password and I'm connected All is good But how do I get rid of quot user quot and replace with quot Karen quot Can this be done

A:Can I change the user's Name and completely remove the old user name?

Quote: Originally Posted by CountryBumkin

But how do I get rid of "user1" and replace with "Karen"? Can this be done?

When a new user is created in Windows, either the first user when Windows is installed or any user later on, and the new user has signed in to Windows first time, the user profile is created and named. Any later username change does not change the name of the user profile.

An example, if my ex-wife had created a user account for me on a Windows computer she had most probably named it as "Idiot". If I then later on changed my username on that computer from "Idiot" to "Kari", my profile had remained as "Idiot".

Basically, the easiest way to change this is to create a new user account and profile with the preferred name, copy the personal files and folders from C:\Users\Wrong_Username folder to C:\Users\New_Username, and delete the user Wrong_Username completely.

In your case now you can try the method told in this tutorial: User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/372135-can-i-change-users-name-completely-remove-old-user-name.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hello this issue is persisting on my work windows computer not each time i sign in to my user session corporate ad account i have the following visible symptims - i receive User path system path default default profile to the welcome to windows screen and animations like i just User profile path default to default system path installed or logged in to the system for the first time - once finished the desktop are is empty at first in windows explorer i used to receive User profile path default to default system path an error saying that desktop folder cannot be found or sth but now it's gone - the desktop icons are restored once i toggle the start menu and go back to the desktop and sometimes i have to kill or restart the windows explorer process - the current keyboard language is defaulted to English instead of french which is set by default original override because of my keyboard the system default language is english in UI i have to go to control panel language settings and i have to save and exti to be able to toggle to french if not alt shit toggle does not find french as being listed - some applications store their settings and detect the C Windows System config systemprofile I have this issue since a few months now i'm not exactly sure when it first happened But i read somewhere that someone got it because after installaing some software but no mention which software or what type of software can cause this effect in windows can somebody help thanks in advance

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/59073-user-profile-path-default-default-system-path.html
Relevancy 48.59%

In Windows 7, all the good icons are in %SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll, but we're still taken to the old SHELL32.dll when it comes time to change an icon.

Is there a registry key or something that we can change to remedy this?

A:Change default location for "Change Icon..." button?

Anyone?

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/212348-change-default-location-change-icon-button.html
Relevancy 48.59%

My father replaced his Windows 98 machine with a new computer running Windows 7. He's currently on 32-bit ultimate, but we could change versions if needed.

He's really hoping there's some way to force Windows 7 into a single user mode, primarily so C:\users\All Users, Default User, Public, and his own user are merged into one. It's absolutely driving him nuts the way it is.

I've done quite a bit of searching and have came up empty. Before I said it couldn't be done, I'm wondering if anyone's heard of a way to do this.

A:Win 7 single user, merging users\All Users, Default User, Public, etc?

Just curious, but why does this annoy him so much? Surely it's not that complicated a system and all of his documents etc are stored in the same place, with more or less easy to use shortcuts to these directories placed throughout Windows 7?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/210398-win-7-single-user-merging-users-all-users-default-user-public-etc.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi,
I have a Windows 8.1 system on a lap top that was used by a former employee. Her name was still on user name and I couldn't change it without Admin privileges (otherwise was asking for a smart card). Found out how to get in to admin in safe mode with Net
User Admin yes- then discovered that the old log in and information / desk top is no longer available. The docs are under Users (old employee's name) in C drive, but the docs and settings no longer show up and the admin log in is the only one available - no
option to change users.
When I went in and said Net User Admin no - thinking if I disabled admin user it would go back to the old log in -  there was no log in available at all.

Help?
Launa

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/56c281dc-3368-4418-93ac-3cd96832c513/enabled-net-user-admin-to-change-an-account-name-cant-change-name-and-now-origial-login-account?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 47.73%

I just looked in the C:\Users folder and found two folders "Default" and "Default User". What is the difference between the two?

A:Default vs Default User

Hi and Welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

You must have bought your computer with the operating system already installed on the hard drive.

Since the makers of your computer have no idea who might buy the computer they use the name default where it asks for a default user name.

When you purchase a retail copy of windows and install it yourself you have the option of picking a default name.

You can rename that if you want to, to make it more personal to your identity.

Hope this answers your question.

Happy computing!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/312803/default-vs-default-user/
Relevancy 47.3%

OS Windows XP v Professional SP I restored the computer system as I had lost everything stored in the old user profile A NEW USER PROFILE mlinda quot is created with the correct domain attached to it eg CAA MAU and is fully restored The OLD USER PROFILE quot m linda quot remains in the documents and settings BUT - the domain is of a local computer eg SPARXX and it no longer works with the eg CAA MAU domain The original quot m linda quot user profile contains almost nothing in it no documents etc m linda is still listed in the userlist in computer management BUT 2 (fully name user user restored) new profile old ? Urgent-How profile change to back NOT THE NEW mlinda In administrator mode I dont t see ALL the contents of the newly restored profile Questions How do I change user profile quot mlinda Urgent-How 2 change new user profile (fully restored) back to old user profile name ? quot that has successfully retored everthing back to quot m linda quot since the new profile has everything intact How do I safely delete the newly restored quot mlinda quot and ensure everything is back to normal with the OLD USER PROFILE m linda How to ensure that the correct domain name is attached to the profile by transferring all the data from THE NEW mlinda eg domain CAA MAU to THE OLD m linda that currently has a local computer domain SPARXX User profile m linda has to be attched to domain CAA MAU Should I be backing up before eventhough the new mlinda is in super condition I read in forums that the links to desktop can be lost by transfering How do I retain it Do I have to change anything in the registry value Should I do it with Administrator account in normal mode or safe mode When I log on as an Administrator both mlinda and m linda is as brand new and none of the exisiting files in it When I log in as mlinda new I still see m linda local computer domain in the user list but not mlinda the new But when I right click properties of c documents and setting mlinda under security I see that mlinda is listed with the correct domain name My biggeest fear is not to lose the domain ouutlook etc while changing mlinda to m linda B Rather than going through a process of copying mlinda to m linda Is it possible just delete THE OLD USER PROFILE m linda and rename the THE NEW USER PROFILE mlinda since this is fully restored to m linda If yes what are the best steps And how can I make the adjustments to user list since when wondows starts there is only THE NEW PROFILE mlinda popping up I need it back to m linda I read in a forum that I can go to registry HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVer Profilelist and change but I don t want to mess with it In my case in the registry i should I delete m linda first and rename mlinda to m linda This is rather urgent and need to fix today All your help are truly appreciated Thank you nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/urgent-how-2-change-new-user-profile-fully-restored-back-to-old-user-profile-name.1004093/
Relevancy 47.3%

Howdy All -
I'm thinking I'm not the first nor the last to have MS trick me into changing my User Name from Local to (in my case) an outlook.com email account. Now I'm forced to sign in every time I log on. And FWIW, I prefer to be fully in charge of my devices.
-
I surely would appreciate some guidance on the proper way to switch back to a Local User and disassociate my computer from outlook.com. Many thanks in advance for reading this and all replies.

Best,
/jdU

A:Proper (Safe) way to change from "Microsoft.com" User to Local User

Settings>>Accounts>>Under your Microsoft Account listing, click on "Change to a Local account instead".

Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/49640-proper-safe-way-change-microsoft-com-user-local-user.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi:

I should be able to figure this out, but it's not my day I guess.

Using the XP Registry and selecting a folder, the view of my files is always displayed in "icon". I would appreciate it if someone would tell me how to change this default so that it is always set for "details".

Thanks for any help.
ve6tp

Relevancy 46.87%

How do I Change the Default setting from Musicmatch Jukebox back to
Windows Media Player. I am running XP Home.
Thanks,
Barry

A:Change Default

Easiest way to try :

Open Media Player, go to Tools > Options ;

go to the File Types tab ;

and Select the file types for which you want WMP to be the default player

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-default.191407/
Relevancy 46.87%

how do i change my default internet from opera to ie?

thank you

A:change default

See this Microsoft How-To article: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-your-default-web-browser

The how-to is for Windows 7 but the procedure is substantially the same for all recent Windows versions.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/422383/change-default/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi all,
I need to change the default ICS IP address 192.168.0.1 when sharing my Internet connection with other machines as I have an IP conflict with the cellular modem that I cannot change.

Is it possible to assign a new network range for the dhcp server for the local network. If so, probably in the registry. Does anyone know of this?

Regards Ebbe

A:Need to change default IP 192.168.0.1 in ICS

Originally Posted by sm0epm

Hi all,
I need to change the default ICS IP address 192.168.0.1 when sharing my Internet connection with other machines as I have an IP conflict with the cellular modem that I cannot change.

Is it possible to assign a new network range for the dhcp server for the local network. If so, probably in the registry. Does anyone know of this?

Regards Ebbe

its easy and possible. you need to tell us what router you have.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/250289-need-change-default-ip-192-168-0-1-ics.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hello All,

I have a standalone Home PC, which is not connected to any network including the internet. It doesnot even have the network adapters installed.
Now I want to change the default Ip(127.0.0.1) assigned to it.
I have changed the hosts file and rebooted but without any success.
I am in a desparate situation. please help!

Relevancy 46.87%

Okay, I have to first say- THIS forum is AWESOME!! Thanks for all the time you spend helping others, like me. So, here is my questions.........After a succesful Repair in place (TY BRINK!!) Profiles seem, ummmm, strange, sort of!

Here are 3 screenshots of what I am seeing with:

1) Hidden & System File Settings SHOW
2) Hidden & System File Settings HIDE
3) System Advanced Settings Profile List

Regarding screenshot 1, is that just a shortcut to the actual Default Profile that can safely be deleted?

Regarding Screenshot 2, is that THE HIDDEN SYSTEM ADMIN profile? If so, why is it showing with HIDE ticked?

Regarding Screenshot 3, I am the Owner with tons of Music/Data etc. so I understand my Profile being huge.
So, but why is the other ADMIN (hidden system admin or not???) & Default there with both over 15 GB in size?

Is this how you're Users folder looks too? Thanks for the INPUT everyone!
xxx Patti

A:Default User AND User\Default and that is not all!

Hello Patti,

Screenshot 1Default Profile with the shortcut arrow on it is not really a folder but a junction point pointing to the Default user profile folder in the same screenshot for backwards compatibility for older programs.
Screenshot 2The Administrator folder is the built-in Administrator's profile folder. The Owner folder appears to be your user account's profile folder. Both them are not hidden since they are not faded though.
Screenshot 3I'm not sure why the other user profiles are so large either. You might double check in their user folders to see if something may be saved in them taking up so much space.
Hope this helps some,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/253933-default-user-user-default-not-all.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I downloaded a new "media" player. It has taken over my files so that it is the default player. How can I make it my choice on which player I want to use (such as Real Player, etc,etc) with each file?

Relevancy 46.44%

I want to make Mozilla Firefox my default browser.
I checked firefox as my default browser, and its diagnosis says it is the default, but whenever I click on any link IE6 still opens first.
How can I stop this?

Relevancy 46.44%

I have Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit and had a HD crash so I rebuilt it with a new drive. It is a "virgin" install of Windows 7 Ultimate. I downloaded all updates including IE10. Then I installed Office 2007 Home and Student followed by Office 2007 Professional Upgrade. Everything seemed to work okay until I noticed when in IE10 the 'send to" option did not work. I discovered Outlook was not the default email package ("use existing" was). So I went to Start/Default Programs and selected Outlook to be the default. It seems to take it but if I go back to Start/Default Programs I see that Outlook is not the default. I also tried to set the default media player to Media center and had the same issue.

how can I get Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit to accept default programs settings?

A:Win 7 will not change default programs

Are you the "True" Administrator?

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/287126-win-7-will-not-change-default-programs.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi,

when I right click on an image I get the message "save the image as" and the default location is 'my pictures'.

how do I change the default location?

any help would be appreciated,

thanks,

Mike

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/change-default-location-in-ie7-208282.html
Relevancy 46.44%

hi guys...juz wanna ask,after i install few updates yesterday,i realize my wmp skin turn to default.before that,i use this red skin..
can someone teach me to use my red skin back?coz i want to match with my desktop..

p/s sorry if i post in wrong section..

Anyone?

A:WMP change to default skin...

Would this be a third party theme, I stopped using them as they are very temperamental when updates are done or other setting changed in windows.

have you tried to reset your them again?

Oh and this should be customizations.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/121478-wmp-change-default-skin.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi,

I'm running Vista Ultimate x64, For some reason upon installing it, It installed the russian language. It took me a few minutes to change it to english but some of the text is still in russian, Trying to change the default language to english seems difficult as it says "The language can't be selected because it is the system language (default language of the user interface)."

I have changed the format, location, keyboard and input language and the administrative language.

How do I change the default language to English so I can uninstall the Russian?

A:Change default language

Welcome,
This is about all that can be done with contacting your computer manufacturer and/or Microsoft
Answers.com - How to change Windows vista language from french to english

This is the site that the article makes mention of
http://www.froggie.sk/download.html

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...language-files

http://www.vistax64.com/software/287300-change-default-language.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I am trying to make so that if you right click on an XML document and click EDIT that NOTEPAD is not the program that opens but a differently installed program. I have figured out how to change how EDIT responds on TXT files, but can't figure it out with XML files. I have also considered that the drop down box in Internet Explorer on the default editor might be the trick, but the only option is NOTEPAD. So if I can figure out how to change the entries in the list then maybe that would be the fix, otherwise I'm sure it will be a registry fix.

Thanks, George Jackson

A:How to change default XML editor?

You can change the association here: Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Associations

See also this: Default Programs - Associate a File Type or Protocol

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/144982-how-change-default-xml-editor.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have a program that displays XML documents in Internet Explorer (Iexplore.exe). The documents are straight XML text, with no style sheet information (which I don't know how to create).

My question is: Is there a way to change the default colors for font, strings, special symbols, etc... the current default colors are ugly to me. I searched all the options of IExplore, Googled XML style sheets, etc., and can't find a straight, simple answer to this question.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/how-do-you-change-xml-default-colors-500800.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have an Acer Aspire 2920 notebook and it uses the new 'empowering technology'. On this, it has audio settings for Movies, Music and Games. On the Movies and Games, the surround sound is set to on, but on the music it is set to off. You change it back to on by double clicking, but as soon as you do this it goes straight back to off again as this is the default setting. All I want to do is listen to my music via the speakers, and headphones, but it will not play. This is purely the Acer empowering technology, so does anyone have any idea how to change it? I feel like I've tried everything, so fresh suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/default-sound-wont-change.777016/
Relevancy 46.44%

using photoshop express 7. Unable to email photos with message that "default addy cannot be located". Using Vista.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-please-change-default-addy.860330/
Relevancy 46.44%

**sorry for miss-type. i ment to say drive not driver oops

hi i just got a brand new laptop and was going to install windows 7 on it, but it has a blank ssd and hdd

i wanted to have the computer load essential/windows start-up files from the ssd, but anything besides that from then on i want to be put and loaded from the hdd

are there any relevant guides you guys could point me to? i wouldn't even know what to search for.

thanks in advance

A:how do i change my default drive?

The whole system should go on the SSD. It is counterproductive to split parts onto the HDD. Exception could be very large games. If you have the option during the game installation, you can direct it towards the HDD.

You probably have to initialize the SSD or define an aligned active partition on it (preferable for the installation). There are some tips in the guide I made here: SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System

Else there is also this tutorial: SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/199426-how-do-i-change-my-default-drive.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I need help changing the program that opens files that I have downloaded,. I want it to be the WinRar program but I don't know how to change it back to that. Right now files are being opened by Windows Live Essentials. Please Help...Wrenie[/SIZE]

Relevancy 46.44%

I downloaded a cursor then I went to Mouse Pointers to change the white cursor, it worked but one time when I restart the laptop, my cursor was gone instead it was the white cursor that appeared in the desktop. I read a problem like this but I still didn't know what to do.

A:How to change my default cursor?

Did you click on Apply after selecting the new pointer?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/300184-how-change-my-default-cursor.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have windows vista, 64 bit, something automatically changed my default printer settings and now I cannot designate a default printer and it will not allow me to print anything but a word document and email. I cannot print a pdf or an excel sheet, each time I get an error message saying that I have to have a printer installed. I have a printer, the same one I have BEEN using, but it doesn't read that it is there. I have seen previous posts saying to go into regedit and change the HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWSNT/CURRENT VERSION/WINDOWS and change the entry for the device, deleting the printer name and leaving 'winspool, Ne00' and then to restart. I've done that and it doesn't help.

PLEASE HELP. I've spent several days now trying to figure this out.

A:cannot change default printer

You may want to try a system restore from about a week before the problem began. Your stuff will not be affected.
System Restore - How to
If that does not work, uninstall printer, boot computer and install again.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/301921-cannot-change-default-printer.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Trouble getting new email address (hotmail.com) recognized as default email. Tried all methods posted on forums: tools option and control panel. Control panel default settings will not allow option to disable Windows Mail. (grayed out). RegisterHotmail software says only Vista but I am using Vista.

Also cannot open old email program (Windows Mail) : getting error message MSOE.DLL 0x8007002: Checked and followed all advice on forums. Have also stopped virus software from scanning emails.

A:Can't change default email

Welcome

Unistall with this then download and use Windows Live Mail

Revo Uninstaller Pro - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs, Solve uninstall problems

Always make a system restore point first.

http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/275142-cant-change-default-email.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I set Firefox as my default browser now I want to change my default browser back to internet explorer and can not seem to anywhere in the options area to do this please can anyone give me assistance

Brobilly

Relevancy 46.44%

When I try to change my profile picture it will not work. I can change it to one of the pictures provided but I can't browse for more of them. I tried restarting my computer but it did nothing. I can't seem to find anything on the internet that would help my problem either. Thanks for the help. Btw, I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

A:Can Only Change To Default Pictures

Just to make sure we're on the same wavelength, are you talking about the picture on this site? If so, delete the current picture first.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/can-only-change-to-default-pictures-616737.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I want to change default player from Windows Media Player to VLC for streaming TV.

Example: mms://media.tv.consoll.no/tv2sport

How do I do that?

A:How to change default player for MMS: ?

You would usually do that here: Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Associations. But you need to know the filetype.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/80560-how-change-default-player-mms.html
Relevancy 46.44%

hi ..
I work on an office uses internet access through ADSL, and my pc is connected to the office domain.
MSN, Yahoo.. Messenger, all are blocked.
I have also a Broadband 3G modem that I want to use MSN through it.. but the Messenger always try to connect to the ADSL connection not the 3G..
How can I make it use the broadband instead of the ADSL or domain.

thanx.

A:Change Default Connection

You can only connect to one, adsl or wireless. You cannot run both at the same time.

Go into Network services and disable the adsl connection, enable the wireless.

When doing office work, do the opposite.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/262111-change-default-connection.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I'm having trouble getting some websites to load for me. This didn't start happening until I got satellite internet recently.
I've been reading around and the most common answer I see is to increase the dns timeout value.
But I can't find the proper steps on how to do it for win 7.
Can somebody help me out?

A:How do I change the default DNS timeout value?

Welcome to the Forums

Configuring DNS lookup time out period

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/280603-how-do-i-change-default-dns-timeout-value.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi,

Recently my computer's internet gliched and I can no longer connect to any webpage. I think it might have somthing to do with me deleting route 0.0.0.0 on cmd. this is what I wrote:

route delete -p 0.0.0.0

Is there any way i can restore the deleted route?

A:How do I change cmd to default settings?

Hi and welcome to the Forum
Can you do a system restore to a point behind when you did the deletion? It would also beg the question why did you delete it?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/278767-how-do-i-change-cmd-default-settings.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I want to transfer video using Pinnacle, but the software isn't in the list of default programs. How can I get it to show up there? This has to be an easy question, right?

A:Default program--how to change

Hello Bling

You can set default programs one of two ways

Through the defaults list or through right click

1. Find the item you want to change the default program for

2. Right click on the item and select "Open With"

3. On the bottom left check "Always Use The Selected Program To Open This Kind Of File"

4. Either select a program from the list or select browse

5. When you have selected the program you want select "OK"

This should now be the default program that opens that item, This works for files, images, videos, video converters and audio converters :)

Regards

Craig

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/default-program-how-to-change-274464.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I've always used Window Internet Explorer. I never believed in the things like "Firefox, Netscape, etc. are better," but then my friend pratically made me try Firefox, and I did. When I first installed it, it asked if I wanted to change to my default browser and I said no because I might now like it. Well, now a few weeks later and I love Firefox, but how do I change it to my default browser?

A:How do I change my default broswer?

In Tools->Options, in the General section, you'll see Default browser,
click the "Check now" button.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-change-my-default-broswer.395565/
Relevancy 46.44%

I want to change my email from outlook express to either incredimail or outlook.When I launch BT it always comes up with oex and when I launch Ie6 no email comes up.I have reset default for oex and inc but no change.I have uninstalled oex through control panel and even removed registry and renamed oex files to old.( when I did that there was an error saying oex not found).I have since repaired my os and got everything back to normal except for oex problem.
Can anyone help.
Thanks

A:Change default e-mail

If you are using Windows XP there should be a button in your start menu that says Set Program Access and Defaults. It would be in there where you want to change it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/change-default-e-mail.21985/
Relevancy 46.44%

I am writting a program in C to take input from the user and depeneding on that output the results to either a file and/or the screen. So, my question was is there a way to change the default out stream for printf()? I know that I could use fprintf to write to files. I want to just change the stream, then use a universal funtion to write to the desired medium.

A:Change default out stream in C

printf() AFAIK doesn't handle files streams, but fprintf() handles both so you could do it like this:
Code:

#include <stdio.h>

int main() {
fprintf(stdout,"\nHello World!\n");
FILE * pfile;
pfile = fopen("anexample.txt","w");
fprintf(pfile,"a line of text");
fclose(pfile);
return 0;
}

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-default-out-stream-in-c.321600/
Relevancy 46.44%

I accidentally open a file extension ".dll" type/name (unknown application) with "notepad" and I can't change it back to its default. Now its has a NOTEPAD icon in the middle.how can i change it back to default?? I have try everything i know.
sorry don't know much about computer.

help!!!

window 7 ultimate

A:Help: Can't change .dll back to default

Hello Vaca, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You can download and merge the dll option in the tutorial below to restore it's default associations.

Default File Type Associations - Restore

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/119536-help-cant-change-dll-back-default.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi as stated I cant change any of the default app settings in windows 10.
I tried to change my default browser to chrome,nothing happens after i click google chrome,its still edge.
This also applies to other defaults like maps,music player,photo viewer etc.

A:Cant change default app settings

Hello, have you researched this on the forum? Questions about this have been asked so often.. the forum is a useful resource tool.

Note that you cannot change defaults from within programs- true from Win 8 on.

Please see:
Default Apps - Choose in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
Have you tried by these means?

Also note that there are special instructions about Chrome which you can find which many have had difficulties with.
Search
Chrome default browser
e.g.

Note too that a couple of old version programs e.g. Winzip if installed have caused defaults to be reset on restart.

Hope that helps and points you in the right direction.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/59930-cant-change-default-app-settings.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello, I'm new on SevenForums and I need to help.

I was testing my Small Basic app, but when I launched it, the TextWindow font size was only 4?6 pixels.
So I launched the Command Prompt via Run, and the size was also 4?6.

In Properties, there were only 4 tabs and 9 sizes of Terminal font. The default one, 8?12, wasn't in the options.
I can show you screenshot of Properties window. (I'm using WindowsBlinds 8 with Mac skin, where active tab texture is same with inactive tab.)

How can I restore font size to 8?12?

It would be a big help for me if you post value of this:

Sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker.

A:Can't change cmd.exe settings to default

You could try sfc /scannow and that would undo all changes/modifications, and then you could just reapply the settings in windows blinds and see if that helps.....maybe something went funky when applying the theme.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/312386-cant-change-cmd-exe-settings-default.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have a Samsung laptop with Windows7 home edition and an Epson WF3520 Wireless printer both in use for some time now.

I can print OK from any package so I assume that the driver is correctly installed. but it always defaults to an old printer which is no longer connected. I just want to change the default printer to the new one.

The problem is that nothing shows up in Devices & printers, no matter how long I wait for the bar at the top to trundle along. I have another laptop (windows 8.1) and the printer appears on there OK.

Could anyone suggest:
a. What the problem might be, or
b. An alternative way to change the default printer.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff.

A:Cannot change the default printer.

Hi ... Read the Link below ...

[WIN7] 64 bit - Devices & Printers will not show - FIXED! Hooray! - Microsoft | DSLReports Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/357409-cannot-change-default-printer.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hey there, every time i want to install something the default path is: C:\PROGRAM FILES\
but i install the programs in a different partition( d:\ ) , so its there away to change the default C:\PROGRAM FILES\ to D:\ ? or its the path that the creator have chosen and not windows ?

Thx..

Relevancy 46.44%

Lately my computer won't open pictures to view with Windows Photo Viewer.

I've already read several threads on this and have tried the customary links that are supposed to do this.

When I go the the "Chooses default program" on the preview link, it stays frozen on Microsoft Picture Manager whenever I try to change it.

I've been able to open with Internet Explorer, but I would like to go back to opening files with Windows Photo Viewer. I believe that this does not need to be installed as it is already a Windows feature. (7)

Any help and ideas beyond what I have already tried are greatly appreciated.

BTW........LOVE this site!

Relevancy 46.44%

I folowed this link How to Rename a Drive in Windows 7 to change the default label of my DVD RW drive. That only worked,,, kind of!! What occured was it appended my new name to the original name. It began with the name: CD Drive. After changing the name as in the afore mentioned link it now has the name: CD Drive Sony Blu-Ray Drive. All I wanted to see was Sony Blu-Ray Drive. Anyone know what's going on here & how I might fix this??

Thanks in advance for anyone who can lend some help on this.

Jim

A:Change default name of my DVD drive

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI

drive / id / FriendlyName

you'll need permissions on the key to edit it

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/201697-change-default-name-my-dvd-drive.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello I use W b SP with IE For business purposes I IE8 page / default change W7 need to change default error information web pages in IE like the page cannot be displayed browsing was canceled I checked all over the internet and found some advices W7 / IE8 change default page about changing the reg keys but it didn t work for me Windows Registry Editor Version HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Internet Explorer AboutURLs quot blank quot quot res mshtml dll blank htm quot quot NoAdd-onsInfo quot quot res ieframe dll noaddoninfo htm quot quot InPrivate quot quot res ieframe dll inprivate htm quot quot NavigationFailure quot quot res ieframe dll W7 / IE8 change default page navcancl htm quot quot NoAdd-ons quot quot res ieframe dll noaddon htm quot quot Home quot dword e quot PostNotCached quot quot res ieframe dll repost htm quot quot DesktopItemNavigationFailure quot quot res ieframe dll navcancl htm quot quot NavigationCanceled quot quot res ieframe dll navcancl htm quot quot Tabs quot quot res ieframe dll tabswelcome htm quot quot OfflineInformation quot quot res ieframe dll offcancl htm quot quot SecurityRisk quot quot res ieframe dll securityatrisk htm quot I also entered a new key under HKEY CURRENT USER SOFTWARE Microsoft Internet Explorer AboutURLs but it s still not working Can somebody help me out because I m running out of time on my project Upgrading or downgrading any app or OS on this computer is due to some regulations not an option Thank you all nbsp

Relevancy 46.44%

Hello I just put a music CD in the drive a popup window appeared I only glanced at it and hit ok without thinking about it It said something like quot Rip audio from CD using media player quot with a window ticked with something like quot make this the default option when putting in a CD quot Now every time when I put the CD in the drive windows media player starts up and isn t able to rip the songs and freezes - I m not worried about that - I just want to find the option so that it won t try to automatically start media player and rip what for cd put when change happens option default in it every time I put it in the drive Actually this is one of those little problems that has bugged me over the years but I change default option for what happens when put in cd never asked about it where are the settings to change the default options for when you put in a CD connect something If I ever accidentally click that box that says quot make this the default option for when you do such and such quot I m always stuck with it because change default option for what happens when put in cd I don t know how to change them Thanks

A:change default option for what happens when put in cd

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/AutoPlay-frequently-asked-questions

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/375779/change-default-option-for-what-happens-when-put-in-cd/
Relevancy 46.44%

Is it possible for me to change my default email? I only use Gmail, but when I try to attach anything, such as a snip, it says I must use "Outlook" even tho I've never used it. HELP!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-default-email.1157106/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi all! I am new to Windows 7 and this wonderful forum. I did some search and could'nt find an answer. I realised that Windows 7 saved all my stuff in the public folder. Is there anyway I can alter it to save in My documents instead of public documents? Thanks in advance for any answer.

A:How to Change Default location

Saves what stuff? Downloading from internet or what? be more specific on what its saving.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/36852-how-change-default-location.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi All I'm not sure if Im in deep trouble or if this is something trivial Please help me out I had once tried to install windows xp SP long OS boot? default it to Is possible change at back and it had failed The result was that I got options healthy xp and not working SP Everytime during boot I continued working choosing the healthy one The default always was the corrupt sp and if I was not alert to change it it would try to install Sp Say something got corrupted and restart again during which time I would select the healthy Xp Sometime back I got Windows and installed the same Rather than clean up and format my drive I went for an install that didn't delete my other drives Is it possible to change default OS at boot? It took Is it possible to change default OS at boot? a back up of xp and installed win My C drive had Gb of space and I continued working At boot up I now had options annoyed at constantly being asked choices at start up I found my way to uncheck the 'time' box in the advanced setting in windows I thought this meant that win would load automatically without asking for other choices Now when I start my system it doesn't ask any choices but goes straight to install from the the corrupt SP version fails and prompts for a restart At restart the same thing happens again I am now stuck and can't seem to either boot up windows or get that list of OS to choose at boot Are there any options in bios through which I can increase the time so that it displays that list again or can I change default OS to boot there I am not sure of installing win again as I believe I don't have enough space on C drive and even if I take the pain of doing all the installation will it still go to the corrupt SP because no where during installation do I change the time to list the OS on the machine Plus I don want to lose my data as there is years of work I do have a back up on an external drive but it is with a friend who has borrowed it for Atleast a month In case you ask me to install win again can I just do it in such a way that only the C drive is formatted But I need to be sure that corrupt sp is not there to cause problem at boot Please help me I'm in deep trouble I don't have any other machine to work on and I type this on phone If you need any further info please let me know Thanks

A:Is it possible to change default OS at boot?

If you type "msconfig" in the start menu and then choose the "Boot" tab, are there different operating systems listed?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/343618-possible-change-default-os-boot.html
Relevancy 46.44%

This is going to seem very shallow compared to the crashed harddrives and any number of horrible problems with your computers I'm sorry I'm the sort of person Icons Default Change who has problems with the OS itself I don't have problems with security or technical support I have searched google and probably seven different forums about this problem And it's baffled me how many people don't know how to change an Icon So much that they'd have hundreds of threads dedicated to RIGHT CLICK CHANGE ICON APPLY Just Retarded At the same time I don't know how many Change Default Icons threads I went through where people were like quot I HAVE A VIRUS CALLED DESKTOP INI PLEASE HELP quot More Retarded But furthermore no matter what I type into Google I can't find a way to make Windows do ONE thing And that is To quot Change the Default Folder Icon quot so that when I quot Create a NEW FOLDER quot it comes out BLANK --- That's all I want --- I went into Shell dll and I replaced the Default Folder Icon with an empty Icon Set When it creates a New Folder It's STILL the default Folder Worse If I try to CHANGE the Folder to it's Default Folder It's STILL the Default folder Icon Instead of the Empty one EVEN IF IT SHOWS THAT ITS AN EMPTY ICON Also for some reason when I upload to my webspace image gets all garbled I reloaded it I changed it to a gif I changed the way it was compiled Why the hel is it always glitched like that

A:Change Default Icons

bump

please someone try to help or suggest

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/change-default-icons-223870.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I use note pad for my txt files yet win has set it as word pad by default When 8 for to want Win change what I default setting I trying remove the check box for txt in word pad it refused to change default setting to what I want for Win 8 allow me to do that At the same time I cannot edit my raw html pages on the server as the pages come up as either IE or FF program that open the real view of the page that can not be edit live as it impossible to do so in the first Even if I try removing the check box for html for FF not allow too How do I get rid of crap default setting by Win as I have never had this issues for any OS starting with win beta default program control panel set program list word pad chose default check box failure to uncheck Same for FF This has only happen in the last month or so and have made no changes to cause this

A:change default setting to what I want for Win 8

Tap your Windows Key and type Default, you should see Default Programs show up. You can also get to this in Control Panel.

Press Enter, and choose Associate a file type or protocol with a program. Select the file type you want to change and choose Change Program in the upper right. Select the program you want to use from the list, if the program is not in the list click "More Options" and if it's not in that list click "Look for another app on this PC", navigate to note pad, and you're done.

The Set Program Associations does not remove associations, it only adds them. Meaning, if a filetype is NOT selected, you can select it and click save to make it start using that file type. Unchecking and clicking save does not REMOVE a filetype. Use the Set Associations for the specific filetype instead.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/27495-change-default-setting-what-i-want-win-8-a.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Please someone help, it's driving me mad .

I've already tried the whole regedit thing where I changed ProgramFilesDir and ProgramFilesDir from C: to E:

I've only got a 60GB SSD drive where Windows 8 is installed but I've got a 2TB HHD where I want to install all new programs.

My SSD is now full and I can't download app updates or update to 8.1 due to lack of space.

Would it be easier to move windows onto my HDD? And if so, how do I do that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:How do I change default drive?

I usually just move my user folders like Documents, Pictures, Music etc. Some move their whole profile. Installing programs to your spinner just negates the speed advantage of having one, IMHO.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/45608-how-do-i-change-default-drive.html
Relevancy 46.44%

OK, i have a partition set aside only for the system. WINNT is the folder with it am i correct. Well i want to move documents and settings + program files over to another partition. What do i do to accomplish this. I want to transfer the files and then make those places the default location for documents and settings and program files. The system stays in its partition.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-default-directories.320001/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hey everybody! I CANNOT add to, subtract from, or in any other way alter my DEFAULT PROGRAMS LIST, and I am going INSANE! I have tried all of the routine simple stuff (IE, right clicking files and selecting 'open with', 'change programs', 'browse', etc, etc) and NOTHING works. I have also tried to 'change associated file types, yadayada' again, ZIPPOLA. I am seriously losing my hair over this, if anyone knows anything about this PLEASE help me out! Yours truly,
joreilly.

A:I Can't change my default programs

Are you an Administrator?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/i-cant-change-my-default-programs-366652.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have a Toshiba laptop running XP the main screen back light went out so I added another monitor its native resolution is x the highest the laptop will go is x my problem is I can t get the new default monitor? change do my How I monitor to go to it native resolution it maxes out at x unless I extend the desktop then it works but since my main screen is broken I can t use it because no icons on the extended side and every time I set it as default it just goes back to the original setting but at x Its running Intel How do I change my default monitor? graphics device manager shows display adapters both identical Intel R GM GME graphics controllers and as for monitors device manager shows different ones Default monitor Toshiba Internal x panel and ViewSonic VX wm the last one is the new one and I ve installed all the drivers and software for it I m really at a loss I know my graphics card can display the higher resolution but it just won t change over Alternatively if the is a way to duplicate my desktop on extended desktop that may work Thanks for any help nbsp

Relevancy 46.44%

I installed a Dell PC for a customer. It has MS Works 7.0 as standard.
The customer has loads of MS Word documents with the Word-extension .DOC

I have set the file-type .DOC to associate with the Works Wordprocessor, and when I double-click a .DOC file, it opens correctly with Works-Word. However, it converts the .DOC file upon opening into a .WPS file, the default for that program.

At my customer's site, the document gets only printed and it never changes. But when you then close the file and/or the program, the sh.t-program keeps asking to save the changes (because it converted it to .WPS).

Is there any way to stop this evil-doer from converting, and can I set the default filetype to .DOC?

It drives my customer bananas!!!

A:How to change Default .WPS to .DOC in MS Works 7.0

Why doesn't he simply use Wordpad to open any .doc files? Wordpad also uses the .doc file extension.

Either that or he simply clicks 'No' when asked to save changes in Works.

Does Works have a default save word file as option in the tools\preferences menu (or any of its menus - I don't use Works so I don't know its options)?

If your customer has documents that are only printed, not edited, then they should consider Adobe Acrobat .pdf format for the documents. At least then they can't be acidentally changed and the layout will be consistent regardless of wp program settings.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-change-default-wps-to-doc-in-ms-works-7-0.15685/
Relevancy 46.44%

How can I chang my default browser?

A:How can I change my default browser?

Hello thefabe,

Usually during installation of the 3rd party party browser (ex: Firefox), you will have the option to make it the default program.

If not, then you can also select it in Default Programs to make it the default browser. The program itself will usually have it's own settings that you can select to make it default as well.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/23158-how-can-i-change-my-default-browser.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have an hpdv6700 pavilion laptop. The backlight is out and am using a second monitor as main screen. In attempting to connect a new flat screen, I have totally lost the 2 monitor icons on the Set Resolution page, and now it only shows Default monitor when I open it in safe mode. I'm aware that pressing Fn + F4 repeatedly will toggle screens, and it worked before but not now. Anybody???????????

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-from-default-monitor.888950/
Relevancy 46.44%

i SO hate this icon for desktop i dont know how i did but i changed it long ago and it's bothering me now so bad...so i want to change it back to default Desktop icon...

or stock one i dont care but not this one...

i want to be able to change icon to be same one on both of this location circled in Green in attached Picture...

Thanks for any help!

A:Change icon to Default!

Did you change your theme? Did you make any changes and then notice the icon?

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/110030-change-icon-default.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hey everyone I just need some help with this real quick if anyone knows how I typically use Mozilla Firefox which is all well and dandy When I type something in the address bar it brings me to the appropriate destination using Google for example if I type in BLEEPING COMPUTER it would normally have directed me to http www bleepingcomputer com without asking any questions Ever since I downloaded Windows messenger this no longer is the case When I type something in it goes off of some quot Live Search quot search engine with all kinds of loopy results and what's even worse is that it isn't even REGULAR Live Search it actually provides me a link to the standard page of Live Search Default I Browser? do the change How Now when I open Mozilla Firefox in the upper right corner to the immediate right of the address bar there is a tool which allows me to select How do I change the Default Browser? a default search engine I have Google selected yet if I type something or an address into the address bar it still directs me to those stupid search results from Live Search All I want to do is put it back to how it was where it would search using Google and if I typed something into the address bar it would bring me to the appropriate web page without ever opening any LIVE SEARCH I even deleted Windows Messenger as soon as I learned of this issue in hopes that it would fix it Nope that didn't work -Many Thanks Chamus

A:How do I change the Default Browser?

What operating system are you using ?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/205770/how-do-i-change-the-default-browser/
Relevancy 46.44%

I need to change jzip from being default in my download. I am unable to edit an html book and oto nor upload the files from the archives. I have tried to change the zip files to other zip programs but jzip is the default. How can I change this? Thanks.

A:How to change default in download

This might help http://www.winvistaclub.com/t19.html I find the easiest way is to right click on the file you want to open choose "open with" and browse for the program you want to use.If you want to permanently want to use that program tick the saying that.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-change-default-in-download.1089921/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi there

currently my window folders sort by filename as the factory default. I know I can change this by right clicking on the white space and then choosing how I want my files to be displayed.

however I have huge folders and then have to wait for explorer to reindex the files every time I close or open a folder.

How do I change the default file sort from name to date? so that I don't have to do this every time.

I have looked that this link

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...l-folders.html

and others connected to it but they dont' seem to address my specific problem. I don't want to change icons or layout, simply the way files are organized when they are compiled.
can anyone help me out with this? Im not a noob to windows by any means, but a step by step explanation would be much appreciated.

A:How do I change the default sort in win 7?

Are the files located on a separate drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/149190-how-do-i-change-default-sort-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have been trying to customize my fresh install of windows 7 and i think i might have changed something with regards to the default font and i'm not sure how to go back to default.

Here is a picture of how the font looks like now

I don't recall the default font looking like this. Can someone confirm this is NOT the default font look? and if so how do i turn it back to normal?

I did not set automatic restoration point so i cannot go back.

I have also been doing font modification through the registry to change the default font of sticky note. I'm thinking maybe that has set something off ?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

A:Default Fonts Change

Read the Link below from an old Thread ..

How to restore application fonts to default in Windows 7?

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/335908-default-fonts-change.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Can I change the default settings in PSP7 (and PS6) to JPG?

Now, I save something I have to stop and scroll down and pick JPG.

I looked in PREFERENCES and in the SAVE box and don't see anything.

I'd rather have it as JPG and if I want to use something else (GIF, or even PSP I can scroll to that). Since I mainly save as JPG.

~ Carrie

Relevancy 46.44%

I have figured what the problem is. I don't need any more input

A:How to change an app's default browser

Open Tools in Firefox, click on Options, toward the bottom of the page you will find System Defaults, click on Check Now.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/396824/how-to-change-an-apps-default-browser/
Relevancy 46.44%

In windows 7, click 1.start, 2.Device & Printer, 3.right click printer, Set Default, EASY.

But on Windows 8, go to on desktop - charms, 1.settings, .2control panel, 3.view devices & printers, 4.right click set default

Is there a easier way for the user to change their default printer. IF we get Windows 8 for work, we DONT want users going into control panel to change there default printers.

A:Change default printer

That's what Group Policy is for.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/6249-change-default-printer.html