Windows Support Forum

"System Reserved" - Options to Skip at installation or Create at 200MB

Q: "System Reserved" - Options to Skip at installation or Create at 200MB

Eventual goal Windows Linux dual boot Intermediate goal Clean install Windows upgrade Skip installation "System Options - or at Create at to Reserved" 200MB from Vista using a pre-SP Upgrade disk or a Digital River iso with SP I have been reading for days but these questions remain concerning System Reserved partition Will the Windows Installer accept and use a MB System Reserved partition that I myself create at the start of Installation using the diskpart utility - but which it normally seeks "System Reserved" - Options to Skip at installation or Create at 200MB to create on its own I understand that the quot select Language quot installation step is where to do this I will pre-designate it as an active MB NTFS partition with a System Reserved label I want it to be MB instead of the standard MB just to be cautious To try to compel acceptance of this configuration I will create a second NTFS partition over all remaining space and which will be shrunk later very soon to make space for Linux Mint - Is it an error to pre-designate this as quot Active quot with diskpart I saw one comment that the Windows seeks to make quot the first active partition quot as the System Reserved partition - Will pre-designation as quot active quot cause any dangers at next boot up process If I don't pre-label it as quot active quot I worry that the Windows installer might not pick it up as the System Reserved partition ALTERNATE OPTION Single C partition for Windows no SysRsrvd If I forego creation of the System Reserved partition -- by using diskpart to create one single NTFS partition over entire disk at the start of Installation -- can a Windows Linux dual-boot system be successfully configured on a system where the boot files are present on the C drive Windows - What might be the boot load Win or Linux Grub etc issues or problems I would meet with a quot single partition quot Windows OS - Is it better to have a System Reserved partition present on a dual boot system

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: "System Reserved" - Options to Skip at installation or Create at 200MB

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: "System Reserved" - Options to Skip at installation or Create at 200MB

If you create 200mb sys reserved, mark it active and 7 will install boot critical files to it.

Quote:
Is it better to have a System Reserved partition present on a dual boot system?

No, it doesn't matter.

Quote:
can a Windows/Linux dual-boot system be successfully configured on a system where the boot files are present on the C:/ drive (Windows)?

Yes

Quote:
What might be the boot load (Win or Linux Grub, etc.) issues or problems I would meet with a "single partition" Windows OS?

None. You can let grub2 install to mbr and use the grub boot menu to control evrything, or you can install grub2 to the linux partition, then add it to windows boot menu (That is what I do, but just slightly complicated).

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/303211-system-reserved-options-skip-installation-create-200mb.html
Relevancy 86.18%

Hi guys,
I am having trouble upgrading to windows 10.
I believe the source of my problems is the lack of a system reserved partition. I tried resetting the tablet using the 'reset' option in advanced recovery, though didn't seem to get another system reserved. How can I reinstall windows on this tablet, considering I have no product key though be sure windows creates a system reserved partition?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/69347-reinstall-windows-8-create-system-reserved-partition.html
Relevancy 85.87%

Hi guys First post here so take it easy on me haha I installed Windows Enterprise -bit edition on my new Lenovo laptop I captured an image of my machine and deployed the image to several others Now we want to start using Bitlocker However there "system do I by the create reserved" How partition Bitlocker? for use is no How do I create the "system reserved" partition for use by Bitlocker? quot system reserved quot partition you know the MB one that Windows automatically creates during install Turns out that Bitlocker NEEDS this partition I can manually create this partition but I don't think it's useable by Bitlocker Regardless I tested this I created the partition mb after shrinking primary partition rebooted and ran the manage-bde -status command There is another drive listed but it's unusable Here is the output of that command Code Disk volumes that can be protected with BitLocker Drive Encryption Volume D GB Data Volume Size GB BitLocker Version None Conversion Status Fully Decrypted Percentage Encrypted Encryption Method None Protection Status Protection Off Lock Status Unlocked Identification Field None Automatic Unlock Disabled Key Protectors None Found Volume Data Volume Size Unknown GB BitLocker Version None Conversion Status Fully Decrypted Percentage Encrypted Encryption Method None Protection Status Protection Off Lock Status Unlocked Identification Field None Automatic Unlock Disabled Key Protectors None Found Volume Data Volume Size Unknown GB BitLocker Version None Conversion Status Fully Decrypted Percentage Encrypted Encryption Method None Protection Status Protection Off Lock Status Unlocked Identification Field None Automatic Unlock Disabled Key Protectors None Found FYI I have disks in my machine Disk Samsung EVO SSD in my Ultrabay two partitions mb system reserved amp rest of space C Disk Whatever brand GB k RPM drive in main drive bay one partition drive D Disk Sandisk x SSD mSATA GB under the keyboard in mSATA slot several partitions Windows no drive letters while booted into Win on disk I checked out the system reserved partition on another PC It has a standard ID when viewing partition details in DISKPART I was thinking it had a special ID to be marked as quot system quot or whatever but I guess not I do know that this partition is usually the first one created so it starts at block or whatever but that shouldn't matter So now my predicament is that I don't want to have to reimage all of these machines Does Bitlocker truly require this other partition I'm thinking YES and if so how can I create it manually and get it to actually work I am going to go check out the BCD fix from DriveImageXML I remember it changing your BCD around to boot differently so maybe I can make my manually created partition active and then run the BCD fix on it to make it bootable I really have no idea and am not finding ANYTHING on the web about this The only thing I keep finding over and over is how to create the partition manually BEFORE installing Windows not after Thanks

A:How do I create the "system reserved" partition for use by Bitlocker?

Hello Snake, and welcome to Seven Forums.

If you use the BitLocker wizard to encrypt the OS drive, then BitLocker will automatically create the System Reserved partition for you.

BitLocker Drive Encryption - Windows 7 Drive - Turn On or Off with no TPM

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/335056-how-do-i-create-system-reserved-partition-use-bitlocker.html
Relevancy 107.93%

With EaseUS Backup Tool, I've cloned these two partitions ("System Reserved" and "C") to same-sized partitions on a external HDD ("X" and "Y"). Picture tells it concisely:
How to make drives "X" and "Y" boot-able?

In "Disk Management", I've noticed these partition labels missing:"X" (or "System Reserved") is missing System label,
"Y" (or "OS") is missing Boot, Page File and Crash Dump labels

Thank you!

A:Both "System reserved" and "C" partition cloned to external HDD: boot?

You cannot boot Win7 on external HD, unless it is connected via eSATA.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/220584-both-system-reserved-c-partition-cloned-external-hdd-boot.html
Relevancy 107.07%

Ok so i am trying to install windows X onto a different hard drive as windows so Windows 8 installation"System a could not Help??? partition..." create i can switch between the two at startup Ok so my problems started yesterday when trying to install windows onto the Hard Drive i was getting quot Windows cannot be installed to this disk The selected disk has an MBR partition table On EFI systems Windows can only be installed to GPT disks quot To fix this i converted the disk to a GPT disk in Disk ManagerNow im getting the Error quot Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an Windows 8 installation"System could not create a partition..." Help??? existing system partition See the setup log files for more Information quot And i have no idea how to get around the problem Here is a screenshot of disk manager at the moment I am trying to install Windows to Windows 8 installation"System could not create a partition..." Help??? Disk All help is appreciated Thank you in advance P s if i missed any info you need just ask

A:Windows 8 installation"System could not create a partition..." Help???

ok i figured out all i needed to do was to leave the space unallocated.
Once i did that it gave me a warning in the installation and then asked if i wanted to continue. i pressed continue installation and it started installing windows 8 CP.

Although im having a new problem now. After the installation it restarted and started windows 7 and i cant seem to get to windows 8?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/4400-windows-8-installation-system-could-not-create-partition-help.html
Relevancy 107.07%

In the last couple days I've been trying to install Windows over Windows XP clean installation Unfortunately I'm having a problem pretty early on in the process Whenever I try to press quot Next quot on the screen that has you select which partition you want to install it on it says for me quot Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an partition...") ("System could create a Problem not Installation existing system partition See the setup log files for more Information quot I've tried deleting all of them making a new one a certain size etc with no luck I even tried to load the C drive but it said it wasn't able to reformat it for whatever reason message I get is quot Windows can't format C Check to see that the disk and drive are formatted properly Make sure that the disk is not read only then try again quot I've tried logging into Windows in Safe Mode to change the security options for this problem but I don't see any preference about read-only properties I have also tried going through the steps in the stickied thread about this problem using diskpart to mark a partition as Installation Problem ("System could not create a partition...") active and it hasn't worked I am trying to wipe my computer completely clean and install Windows not along side XP or anything like that Anything you could suggest would be great thanks in advance

A:Installation Problem ("System could not create a partition...")

Did you run the WIn7 upgrade advisor to find if your hardware can run Win7? http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...e-advisor.aspx

If you still have XP on the HD, update the BIOS to latest version from maker's Support Download's webpage for your computer or mobo model .

Boot the Windows 7 installer, press Shift F10 at bootup, opening a Command Line, type:
DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK # (for Windows 7 disk)
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
assign letter=c:
active
format
exit

Now boot back into installer to Custom install to partition you created.

If there are further problems, please reset the CMOS: Clear CMOS - 3 Ways to Clear the CMOS - Reset BIOS

Also in BIOS setup, check the SATA controller setting: Try AHCI first, then IDE if neccessary.

If these all fail, post back your System Specs at link in bottom left corner of your post.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/89146-installation-problem-system-could-not-create-partition.html
Relevancy 103.63%

Newbie here. I have searched around for a while but have not found a post with my exact situation.

I just installed a new Seagate Momentus 500gb (7200rpm) SATA drive in my Lenovo X61 laptop and have been working on a installation of Windows7 Ultimate.

Not realizing this was an upgrade install disk, I tried to install Win7. I didn't know about the clean install method, so I started over with an installation of WinXP (slipstreamed to deal with the SATA drive).

Next, I ran the Custom Installation upgrade to Win7.

So far, it seems to be working ok.

However, the Local Drive is D: instead of C:. The System Reserved drive in labeled C:. Should I be concerned? Should/Can I change this?

Attached are screenshots of Disk Management and explorer window.

Thank you for any info.
-Nate

A:"System Reserved (C:)" and "Local Disk (D:)" ??

Try removing the System Reserved drive letter in Disk Management to see if Win7 claims C instead. It sometimes works.

There is no reason you can't operate with Win7 as D even though it is meant to always assume the C letter unless it's installer is run from another OS.

But if you do I would not allow a drive letter for SysReserved as programs can write to and corrupt it, especially the ability to make Win7 backup images.

Now that you know you can clean install Win7 without needing XP on the HD, I would strongly consider booting the installer to do a Custom install, choose Drive Options to Delete all partitions, Create new as you wish, then Format before installing to first partition after SysReserved it will create for you. The installer will see an OS at boot to allow use of Upgrade version key upfront during install.

Here are tips to get a perfect reinstall - use the ones which apply: Clean Reinstall steps

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/179878-system-reserved-c-local-disk-d.html
Relevancy 99.76%

bsd

I want to know how to permanently skip "scanning: system error memory dump files" in the disk cleanup scan. What i am looking for, is a way to remove it from the scan entirely.

WinXP has a similar "feature", "compress old files", and the solution i have found is deleting some registry keys.
xp example:
https://msmvps.com/blogs/kwsupport/a.../09/31149.aspx
this is what i am looking for.

thanks!

A:How do i skip "scanning: system error memory dump files"?

(plucked from microsoft answers)
1. Open a Command Window in Administrator mode:
* click Start
* click All Programs, then Accessories
* right click on the Command Prompt option,
* on the drop down menu which appears, click on the Run as Administrator option.
* If you haven’t disabled User Account Control (and you shouldn’t!) you will be asked for authorisation. Click the Continue button if you are the administrator or insert the administrator password.
2. Start the System File Checker
* In the Command Prompt window, type: sfc /scannow,
* press Enter.
* You’ll see “the system scan will begin”.
The scan may take some time and windows will repair/replace any corrupt or missing files. You will be asked to insert your Vista DVD if it’s needed.
Close the Command Prompt Window when the job is finished.
One caveat: you need a Windows DVD to enable SFC to make more than minor repairs.

Good Luck

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/221589-how-do-i-skip-scanning-system-error-memory-dump-files.html
Relevancy 98.9%

When installing SP2 on my computer, there was a box that recommended "Backing up my system" before proceeding. So I created a restore point. I will install it on my daughter's computer next, and would like to know if I was supposed to do anything fancier than creating a restore point before installing SP2?

Relevancy 98.04%

Hi, I'm trying to recreate win 8.1 pro system reserved partition on my ssd. Initially I installed windows on my ssd (c: ) and windows created the sysres partition on my unformatted hd (without telling me anything). After some trouble I managed to be able to boot from ssd directly without going through the sysres partition on the hd. Now if possible I'd like to recreate the sysres on the ssd (by disconnecting my hd so that windows has no other options than creating this on the ssd). If a try a system refresh it tells me it would wipe away all my user installed apps. Can you tell me how to recreate that partition on my ssd without messing things up? I googled for this but I can't find anything useful.

A:Create system reserved partition after installation

Initially I installed windows on my ssd (c: ) and windows created the sysres partition on my unformatted hd (without telling me anything)

Here's the reason why: http://www.eightforums.com/installat...tml#post390128

Now, back to your question:
In Your C: drive, create a partition of 350MB ie. 358400 = 350 X 1024 ===> this should give you exactly 350MBAssign the new created partition a letter, e.g Z:Download: EasyBCD Portable and run it, follow the instruction on the screen shot below then continue with step 4:

Make sure you mark this disk ActiveMark Inactive the other Disk that you previously had the reserved partitionOpen the BIOS and set first boot priority to the SSDreboot. <===== if it does not boot, you might have to do a startup repair.Once everything is working, remove the drive letter Z: so that the reserved partition is hidden.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/48143-create-system-reserved-partition-after-installation.html
Relevancy 97.61%

i am so sad And pissed off for the past hours i have been trying to fix my computer i logged onto it this morning and all of a sudden most were suddenly unrecognized by Windows however Internet Explorer worked and when i clicked on a specific file or folder it open in its respective program or in the case of a folder it opened up successfully after a couple hours i got into the folder options and created the quot exe quot Options" association crap Stupid "please in an create Folder and quot lnk quot file extensions and the icons on my desktop went back to normal however i STILL cannot execute any of the actual PROGRAMS on their own whenever i click on a PROGRAM it says the same stupid thing about me needing to create an association in folder options but personally i do Stupid "please create an association in Folder Options" crap not know how to do that oh yes keep in mind i have TRIED to do regedit its not supported cuz its Stupid "please create an association in Folder Options" crap an exe and oh yeah sysem restore dont work either could someone PLEASE help me thanks

A:Stupid "please create an association in Folder Options" crap

I'm not sure how much this will help but it leads in the right direction http://www.bgamug.org/understanding-...ociations.html. Maybe someone else has a better solution.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/stupid-please-create-an-association-in-folder-options-crap-49350.html
Relevancy 97.61%

Hello First let me tell you about my system nbsp nbsp This is an Inspiron E laptop with the T Core Duo processor running at GHZ nbsp nbsp It has GB of RAM and a brand new GB Hitachi Travelstar hard drive RPM nbsp nbsp It also has the GeForce Go GS video card nbsp nbsp nbsp It previously had Windows XP Professional bit and worked fine nbsp nbsp But I have three computers in my home and home office with E1705/9400 Inspiron Windows with entries exclamation "Base Device" my under point two Devices" "Other on - Installation New System Minor for Problem yellow 7 and would like them all to work better together on my wired home network so I am upgrading all three to Windows nbsp nbsp My two desktops one is Dimension XPS and the other is Dimension XPS seem like they will be no problem to upgrade to Windows nbsp nbsp But this laptop was not listed on Dell s Windows Compatibility List nbsp nbsp However the Windows Upgrade Advisor that I downloaded and ran seemed to say that Minor Problem with New Windows 7 Installation on my Inspiron E1705/9400 - two entries for "Base System Device" under "Other Devices" with yellow exclamation point it was OK to do a clean install of bit Windows and it only Minor Problem with New Windows 7 Installation on my Inspiron E1705/9400 - two entries for "Base System Device" under "Other Devices" with yellow exclamation point had a few minor concerns where it said to check for updated drivers from the manufacturer nbsp nbsp The laptop originally came with a GB hard drive nbsp nbsp For my use that is getting very small so I decided to get the same exact RPM drive in the GB size nbsp nbsp This will allow me to do a clean install of the bit Windows OS on the new hard drive and not have to wipe the old drive to do it nbsp nbsp I can just hold onto the old HD and stick it back in whenever I might need to get something off of it So here is my minor problem nbsp nbsp After transferring a few needed items off the old hard drive I installed the new GB drive and did a clean install of the bit version of Windows nbsp nbsp nbsp I m happy to report that I had virtually no problems with the installation and everything appears to be working fine nbsp nbsp It seems a little bit more zippy than it was before and I haven t run into anything so far that doesn t seem to be working nbsp nbsp I have gone through most of the features and most everything looks great nbsp nbsp But there is one minor problem showing in the Device Manager nbsp nbsp At least I think it s a minor problem but maybe someone else can give me some input as to whether it is or not In the Device Manager List there is a category now called quot Other Devices quot and the icon shows a little white circle with a question mark in it nbsp nbsp nbsp When you expand this category you see two identical entries that say nbsp nbsp quot Base System Device quot nbsp and the icon has a yellow circle with an exclamation point in it nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp I know from previous experience that it s not a good thing to see items in the Device Manager that have a yellow circle with an exclamation point nbsp nbsp I have clicked on both of these and neither one really tells you what the device is or who made it or who s website you would go to for a driver nbsp nbsp nbsp Under the general tab it has the following information nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Device Type nbsp nbsp nbsp - nbsp nbsp nbsp Other Devices nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Manufacturer nbsp nbsp - nbsp nbsp Unknown nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Location nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp - nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp PCI Bus nbsp Device nbsp Function nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Under De... Read more

A:Minor Problem with New Windows 7 Installation on my Inspiron E1705/9400 - two entries for "Base System Device" under "Other Devices" with yellow exclamation point

BTW, I just downloaded and installed the driver pack from that ftp location and it worked, even for Windows 8.1 - 64 bit.
Thanks Steve!

Roger

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19313275
Relevancy 97.18%

I do not know what to do to "Create association in Folder Options control panel" in order to open a file.

The file was created with Microsoft Works 4.5. The extension "wdb" exists in the Folder Options list, with the association of "Microsoft Works 4.5 Database." The actual name of the file is: CGS' CD&Records Collection.

"New" in Folder Options apparently refers to a new extension, not a file.

This is the first time I have been unable to open this file.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

{redoak}

Relevancy 96.75%

Someone spilled a liquid on my wife's laptop damaging the keyboard and internals. It cannot boot but I need to get the files from the HD. I bought one of those USB to laptop HD cables, removed the HD and hooked the cable to my desktop Windows 7 PC. The drive came up as "System Reserved" with only the boot sector folders visible. I hooked it to an XP PC and autoplay showed all the folders but I couldn't see them in "Computer." I tried backing everything up to a DVD but it failed for some reason. This somehow may have damaged the drive.

The drive now appears and disappears in device manager. When it's listed, it shows as working properly but no longer shows up in Computer or Disk Management.

Any chance of getting files off of the laptop HD?

A:Need to get files from dead laptop- drive shows as "System Reserved"

Well.. it may be that the drive was damaged by all the shorting out possibly going on during the accident.

But I would try to remove the USB/HD cable as those can sometimes be problematic in various ways (like power issues to drive, and drive size issues etc).

If it is a sata drive you should be able to hook it straight up to the inside of a desktop and see how it works there. (Now I better C my A here and say that if the drive has been damaged electrically, hooking it up to your desktop could have some small chance of causing more damage there...)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/206383-need-get-files-dead-laptop-drive-shows-system-reserved.html
Relevancy 96.75%

Hello, I atached an printscreen to this thread with disk management.

Is there any advantages of this " hidden partition / system reserved " at all?

I will make a windows 7 reinstall and I am planning to install it in only one partition, without this 100 / 200 mb hidden partition, but I'm not entirely decided. What are the reasons should I left it there?

I currently dual boot windows xp / windows 7 from this hdd, and as for backup I use acronis to create system images so I do not intend or wish to use microsoft windows 7 backup, restore points, system restore etc.

Thank you in advance!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A:Sugestion of Install with or whitout "system reserved partition" ?

Since there is no System Active flag on XP, if XP is booting then according to the screenshot SysReserved contains the boot files for XP as well.

In this case during reinstall of Win7 I would use Custom>Drive Options to delete SysReserved and Win7 partitions, create a partition in that space, then format and click Next to install.

Win7 should configure a Dual Boot menu during install. If not, afterwards install EasyBCD 2.02 to Win7 to Add XP, accept boot files, let it autocomplete, Save, Reboot to Dual Boot menu.

Is 30gb large enough for your Win7 install? I would want it larger myself. If you'd like to borrow some space from the data partition, use free Partition Wizard bootable CD to Resize E from the left by the amount you wish to increase C's size before the reinstall. Back up your data and be sure not to touch E during reinstall.

Tips for getting a perfect one: Reinstalling Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/198138-sugestion-install-whitout-system-reserved-partition.html
Relevancy 96.75%

Hello I recently installed a SSD into my setup I didn't have a Win bit disk so I booted into the HDD's OS and installed via iso I didn't want to burn it as that always seems to fail I wanted to get the System Restore partition installed on make Reserved" Move boot? "System Installed and to SSD SSD. SSD the SSD so I tried booting to a Win bit disk and formatting the drive that way Problem is the System Restore is not recognized as such and was visible so I ended up deleting it that works fine except I now have this Disk Hard drive Disk SSD Disk Irrelevant Can I move the System Restore Partition to the SSD How can I make this boot off of the SSD It currently boots off of the System restore on the HDD The drive letters are screwed up but Installed SSD. Move "System Reserved" to SSD and make SSD boot? whenever I try to change the SSD's drive letter it says quot the parameter is incorrect quot no matter which drive letter I choose Help thanks

A:Installed SSD. Move "System Reserved" to SSD and make SSD boot?

I am not exactly sure what you did here. I suggest you restart and do those steps

1. On your Disk0 HDD, move the bootmgr from the 100MB partition to C:. You can do that with EasyBCD. The instructions are here. You take the option "Change the boot drive". That way we'll get the 100MB partition out of the way.

2. Make an image of your C partition (which is now the active partition). Take free Macrium or free Paragon for that task - but NOT Windows7 imaging.

3. Delete everything on your SSD (with Disk Management or the bootable CD of Partition Wizard) so that the whole SSD is unallocated space. You can also use Secure Erase if you want to cleanup the Nands.

4 Define an aligned, active partition on the SSD. Instructions are here.

5. Restore your image from C: into that partition.

6. Change the bootorder in the BIOS to boot from the SSD and you should be on your way.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/206401-installed-ssd-move-system-reserved-ssd-make-ssd-boot.html
Relevancy 96.75%

I am using a 120GB portable hard drive for back ups and additional file storage. When defragging this drive, you are able to see how much space is actually "reserved for system files". Since this is not a bootable drive with no operating system on it, is there a way to recover this space that is reserved for system files? On this drive it amounts to about 10GB of space. If possible, how is this done?

Relevancy 96.75%

sorry if this thread already exist before but i googled it everywhere and i cant find answers to my problem so this is a final alternative i already have windows Ulitmate x but day i came up with an idea of giving a try on x one by dual booting so i downloaded it legally from microsoft and i did every procedures required for the install shrunk my C drive and installed the OS on the unallocated free space on the drive and it went on perfectly but the problem is the System Reserved partition showed up on the x OS every "2nd drive after (dualboot) shows up System install Reserved OS" time i open My Computer i can see the system reserved partition i could accidentally do something wrong with the partition if it remains unhidden so i want to hide it I was thinking of changing the drive letter but i afraid that's going to give me boot problem in disk management the System Reserved is labelled Z and marked as active tried to set my other partition as active that day but the pc cannot boot at all not even the boot manager showed System Reserved drive shows up after "2nd OS" install (dualboot) up however I managed to fix it using my recovery disc to access the cmd and reactivate the Z drive using diskpart help

A:System Reserved drive shows up after "2nd OS" install (dualboot)

Hello cajuan93

Just remove the drive letter totally from the system reserved partition in disk management to stop it showing up in My Computer. By default that partition should not have a drive letter assigned to it.

Regards Danny

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/231959-system-reserved-drive-shows-up-after-2nd-os-install-dualboot.html
Relevancy 96.75%

I purchased a new 1TB harddrive to host Windows 7. The installation was without any problem. Prior to installation, I removed all harddrives, including another 1TB data backup harddrive.

When I installed the second drive, with all my important backed up data, it comes identified by Windows 7 as drive D: System Reserved. There are no contents despite the properties indicating about 40% used space. Where did my data go? Please tell me it's not lost!! How can I get access to this drive??

Jenn

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A:2nd Installed Harddrive identified by Windows 7 as "System Reserved"

I'm assuming the old hard drive still has W7 installed on it?

If so the issue is that the old hard drive still has a Active partition on it. You should not have 2 Active partitions on one system, and that will caused these kinds of problems.

You can use a third party tool like Partition Wizard for bootable CD to remove the active flag from the old hard drive,
Free Partition Magic alternative, partition manager freeware, partition magic server, partition magic Windows 7 and free Partition Manager software for Windows 7/8/VISTA/XP/2000 and Windows Server 2003/2008/2000.

or you can use Diskpart
Partition - Mark as Inactive

Just to simplify things and avoid any problems you should disconnect all unnecessary drives while running Diskpart. You need to be able to select the correct drive from it's properties or partition sizes because normal drive identification will not be available.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/251929-2nd-installed-harddrive-identified-windows-7-system-reserved.html
Relevancy 96.32%

Hi,
My windows 7 is suddenly applying a drive letter to the system partition, and removing the letter which causes the "new disk inserted" window to keep popping up every half second. In Disk Manager the drive letter appears and disappears every half second.
The only way I've stopped it is to permanently apply a drive letter, which means it is now visible in windows explorer.

A:System reserved partition becoming "visible" and intermittently assigned drive letter by Windows

I assume by 'system partition' you really mean the hidden system restore partition installed by your PC builder? If so, then after I just fired up Paragon Partition Manager to see what it makes of that partition on my Win 7 PC, I find the partition is Primary, NTFS, active, not hidden, volume name WinRe.

The main interesting thing is the volume letter seems to be set to '*'. It appears as (*) rather than (C: ) as the OS drive does. Furthermore, the main menu has a 'partition' tab, where one of the options is 'assign drive letter', and the next option below is 'remove drive letter' which is currently greyed out.

Looking at the standard Windows computer management, storage, disk management, I see a similar picture, except there is no volume letter at all (apparent in that window anyway).

Quite how the partition gets identified in that way is a puzzle, but you might try a free partition manager, such as gparted and see what that says, and possibly allows you to change. As I say above, Paragon Partition Manager might let you de-assign a drive letter but I dont dare try it myself

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-reserved-partition-becoming-visible-and-intermittently-assigned-drive-letter-by-windows.188983/
Relevancy 96.32%

Hello,

I have 2 drives. One for the OS (an SSD with 120 GB of space), another for storage purpose (2TB).

When I try to reinstall Windows 7, here's what it says:

Disk 0 Partition 1: 2TB
Disk 1 Partition 1: System Reserved
Disk 1 Partition 2: System

Should I delete System Reserved if I want to do a clean install? Will it be recreated on its own?

Thank you!

Relevancy 96.32%

I have a new Dell Inspiron 3847 running Win 8.1 64 Bit. My upgrade to windows 10 was reserved an I receive the notification to install, but when I tried I receive this message "We couldn't update the system reserved partition" I'm running Win 8.1 in a new Dell computer; How can I upgrade?.... I burn already an ISO file of the OS but I'm affraid that after a clean install will not find licence for the free upgrade.
I don't have a sys Reserved Partition in my DM what I have is  this sequence;
500mb EFI Sys Partition
40mb OEM Partition
750mb Recovery Partition
OS (C) 919.61GB NTFS (Boot, Page file, etc)
10.52 GB Recovery Partition  
How to use MIni Tool to do these,

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19669877
Relevancy 96.32%

Hello,

I hope this is the correct sub-forum.

I have a family member with an issue that I cannot solve my googling the problem.

The family member tried to upgrade their windows 7 to windows 10. Something went wrong (apparently - I was not there) and it restored to Windows 7. Now one of their other hard drives appears to be completely empty (931gb of 931gb free) and it was renamed to "system reserved". The drive letters has been switched with the dvd-drive.

Is there any way to move the system reserved part to the c:\ drive where it belongs and save the data?

Thank you

A:Upgrade from Win 7 -> Win10 failed. Now other HD "system reserved"

All you have to do is set the C partition Active and run startup repair until windows boots again.

There is no moving of the system reserved partition, you are simply writing the system files to the C partition so windows will boot again, but as I have said, the C partition HAS to be marked Active in order to do that. It can easily be done with a partition Wizard Boot CD and a System Repair Disc, also known a Startup repair disc, made on any Windows 7 machine of the same bit version, 32 or 64 bit and of the same Service Pack version, hopefully your Windows version was Service Pack 1.

It can also be marked Active using Diskpart with your install DVD or aforementioned System repair disc.

Method 2

Partition - Mark as Active

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/387959-upgrade-win-7-win10-failed-now-other-hd-system-reserved.html
Relevancy 96.32%

I recently had DK8 do a boot-time defrag/chkdsk and consolidation of files and folders. As a result the "Reserved System Space" seems to have disappeared. (It's normally fairly large and white with a criss-cross green grid as per the legend left lower side.)
Why is that and need I be concerned?

Relevancy 96.32%

When you install a new copy of W7, in my case Professional 32bit, 1TB disk, it
makes default a hidden "system reserved partition" with a size of 100Mb.
On this partition there are system files.

Why does W7 do this, what is the use of it, is it an advantage or more a disadvantage ?

I also discovered that you can install a copy of W7 without this "system reserved partition",
then everything is on the same partiton.

what is wisdom ?

please advice

A:When installing W7, it makes def. a "system reserved partition", why ?

It's hardly worth fretting about. I can take it or leave it.

If you use Bitlocker or plan to Dual Boot then it's best to have it.

If not and you want to avoid it, prepartition the HD with Partition Wizard boot CD and then choose the partition to install upon.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/284430-when-installing-w7-makes-def-system-reserved-partition-why.html
Relevancy 96.32%

I have Drive D: system reserved 100MB. What is it used for and can I put in it a Macrium reflect restore file ( hard disk image)?

A:What is the "system reserved" partion of my hard disk used for ?

The System Reserved partition is used to hold the system boot manager, and is also used for:

1. Bitlocker Drive Encryption if you use Windows Professional or Ultimate
2. Accessed as part of some OEM recovery functionality

If you don't use the above, you can delete this partition, by carefully following these steps to easily move the boot manager to C:

Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD

The benfit to doing this is that you only need to specify a single partition -- e.g. C: -- for imaging using Macrium.

If you choose to keep the System Reserved partition, then you should include that in any Macrium image.

Hope that explains it.

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/284999-what-system-reserved-partion-my-hard-disk-used.html
Relevancy 96.32%

Hi so first of all i'm going to tell you that i have two hard drives one is WD Caviar Black TB primary which is partitioned in two Reserved 7 conflict"!!! Windows "System 100MB quot Local Disks quot GB for the OS and GB for games and other stuff and the secondary hard drive is WD Caviar Blue GB which i Windows 7 "System Reserved 100MB conflict"!!! had partitioned also in two local Windows 7 "System Reserved 100MB conflict"!!! disks but after of using for a long time it seemed that it was in its end but after searching online i found that it had some quot soft bad sectors quot and those can be fixed by doing a quot Low Level Format quot so i downloaded quot Active Kill-Disk quot to do it so i Windows 7 "System Reserved 100MB conflict"!!! did it successfuly and after it finished i didn't get again the quot local disks quot in My Computer but in Disk Management yes but this time like a quot Unallocated space GB quot and i went into the Windows format process to format it and make a new partition so the process of quot paritions quot in the windows setup was like this Disk Partition Unallocated space mb instead of quot System Reserved mb and i don't know why Disk Partition Local Disk C Operating System GB Disk Partition Local Disk D DATA GB Disk Partition Unallocated space GB And when i saw the Disk Partition named to quot Unallocated space mb quot i was a bit frustated because always it was quot System Reserved mb quot and not Unallocated BTW when i right click on Disk partition unallocated space gb to create a new partition i just leaved as it is GB and after creating it as a partition i got a new quot System Reserved mb partition quot above the GB and what i did i just removed again the partition to make it unallocated and after that i removed the Unallocated space mb in the top and Partition to make a new partition with the normal quot system reserved mb quot and after that to make new partition with the GB to not get system reserved partitions but when i removed Disk Partition and Disk Partition and created it again to GB i didn't get again any system reserved partition so i selected that partition even i didn't get a system reserved partition and i continued to install Windows on it and after it finished and got desktop i went to Disk Management and Unallocated space GB i maked it a new volume partition but now it seems that quot System Reserved mb partition quot is in the Disk instead of Disk and this is going to afraid me because if i do a clean install in the future the System Reserved mb will still be in Disk instead of Disk which is inormal so please for the God sake tell me what to do to get the normal partitions inclunding the System Reserved partition so for the next clean install of windows to have to do only with Partition Local Disk C GB without touching others partitions So thank you so much for your effort and sorry for my poor english Here is also the the screenshot of Disk Management click on image for full size

Relevancy 96.32%

Hello I am new to the forum and not sure if this is the correct place for my question so please forgive me if not "System and Reserved" USB External HDD is shown as empty Moreover I apologize for the long thread but I want to explain in details what happened After a system crash I tried to restore my win from an acronis true image backup file stored on an external USB HDD WD Passport TB After booting with acronis true image I realized that I have another copy of the backup file on a second partition G on the internal HD so I restored this to drive C Since the system did not boot I External USB HDD shown as "System Reserved" and is empty inserted Win CD to make a system repair which also did not work So I decided to install windows newly from CD I had the message quot Windows cannot be installed into this disk The selected disk is of the GPT partition style quot Following an advice after a search in google I used Diskpart to clean the targeted volume I can say I am sure that I selected the right volume and that the external HDD was upluged Anyway after this the installation External USB HDD shown as "System Reserved" and is empty did not work but I discovered that the two partitions on the internal HDD had gone I thought this is not too bad since I have a copy of all my data on the external HDD So I installed win on a new partition on the internal HDD and kept a second partition for data to be copied later Installation went fine Then I wanted to copy my data from the external HDD The surprise is the drive is shown with the name quot System Reserved E quot previously it was called quot WD Passport quot Even worse it is completely empty and the whole space of TB is shown as free As I said I am almost sure I did not clean the external HDD I am even almost sure it was uplugged but cannot say this for Moreover I did not touch the external HDD from inside acronis true image where it was actually shown with the correct name Even if the HDD was plugged I did not notice any operation on it that took even seconds of time So I hope my data on the external HDD was not deleted or overwritten I attached it to the PC at work and it shows the contents in the attachment Any hope to rescue my data Please help Much thanks in advance

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/388994-external-usb-hdd-shown-system-reserved-empty.html
Relevancy 96.32%

so i used method 2, having windows 7 installed first. everything worked out perfectly, except this one glitch. i have a 100 MB System Reserved Partition that came with my Windows 7 install, and it doesn't show up on Windows 7 (unless i assign it a drive letter) and in Windows XP... its defaulted as drive C! this means that it doesn't let me change the drive letter, and every time i try to install something it tries to install to drive C, which has only 60 mb left, even though its blank, and i have to tell it to install to E (what windows XP initially mounts itself as)

Please, can you help in any way? it's highly frustrating

A:Problem XP sees Windows 7 "System Reserved" as C

Hi!

I have the exact same problem, System Reserved is the C-drive and cannot be changed. XP installation has taken F-drive. I have not found a solution for this anywhere. I have assigned the System Reserved partition drive letter S in Windows 7, but still the same drive letter setup remains in xp.

Does anyone know how this affects the operating system operation and possibly how this could be fixed?
Should the drive letter for System Reserved partition be given in Windows 7 before installing XP or does the drive letter assignment given in Windows 7 even have anything to do with the letter that appears in XP?

Thanks in advance if anyone could shed some light regarding this!
I'll ofcourse post here if i find a solution.

- Dennis

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/70091-problem-xp-sees-windows-7-system-reserved-c.html
Relevancy 95.46%

Hi Peeps,

I have an SSD (OCZ 120gb vertex 3) which I installed windows 7 64bit on.
I also have a secondary WD 2TB HDD in the machine.

When I installed Windows, it automatically created the " System reserved partition" of (100mb) on the 2TB WD HDD.

Im not really sure why it did this, as 100mb is not a lot of space on a 120gb SSD.

Anyways, since installing, the 2 TB HDD has died. and I have lost the system reserved partition and now the SSD wont boot, which had windows on it and 2 days worth of programs installed along with customers data.

im not so worried about the 2TB, but I need to get the SSD going again.

Is there any way I can recreate this 100mb System Partition so my ssd will boot the windows?

Any suggestions would be awesome, as my deadline fast approaches :(

Thanks in advance,
Gstratto.

A:[SOLVED] SSD &quot;system reserved partition&quot;

Hello gstratto,

The system reserved partition contains all the data needed to boot the drive, so in other words, it has no boot manager and nothing to tell the drive where to boot. Normally when this drive becomes corrupt, we can repair those files and get it up and running again. However when it has been deleted, I'm unsure if you can.

You could try to boot the installation DVD; and instead of choosing "Install now", choose "Automatically repair my computer" and see if it turns up any faults. If unsuccessful, you should make a backup of that HDD (Put it into another PC and extract the data) and reinstall the drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-ssd-and-quot-system-reserved-partition-and-quot-602696.html
Relevancy 95.46%

Hi all

I've two Windows 7 installations as a multi boot on two physical drives:

Disk 1 - 100 MB System reserved partition and a windows partition with my first (not genuine I later found) installation
Disk 2 - Second "genuine" installation

I'll eventually delete the first installation and would like also to shift the System reserved partition to the second disk so that it "stands alone" as a boot drive. I'm comfortable enough with creating/copying/moving partitions but guess that it won't be as simple as "inserting" a copy of the system reserved partition at the start of the second disk and switching the boot order of the drives.

I can't find any tutorials/posts on the topic, nearest hint suggested I might be looking at a repair install, but before I go down the trial and error route I thought I'd check to see if anyone knew.

Thanks

Andrew

A:Moving "System Reserved" partition

Welcome to SF!

I did all this using Partition Wizard and changing the Boot Sequence in BIOS.

I didn't have any problems- just make some backups first.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/134274-moving-system-reserved-partition.html
Relevancy 95.46%

This used to not show in Windows Explorer,
I have since attempted a "Repair Install" (failed), then got MBAM working, and cleaned the system.
Used a couple of other apps (including MSSE) and they find nothing.
Don't know if all that matters.
But now System Reserved shows up in Windows Explorer. Strictly speaking, it shouldn't.

A:"Unsee" System Reserved in Explorer

It's probably been given a drive letter, you can remove it so it won't show in explorer,

Drive Letter - Add, Change, or Remove in Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/326911-unsee-system-reserved-explorer.html
Relevancy 95.46%

Hey guys I'm back with P But I have come across some hardship but long story short I saved all my files from my both OS Tried shrinking my Vista partition failed resulting in loss of the OS and re-installed both OS But when I installed Win Home Premium x I've Unwanted "System Reserved" partition : created a GB partition for Vista then took the rest for Win Then tada another partition called quot System reserved Unwanted partition : "System Reserved" quot MB big was created I didn't care at first Then I installed Vista on the GB partition again Then once it booted the partition was in Computer I was like o O I wanted to delete it Installed the drivers firefox thunderbird and NOD I saw that it was flagged quot Active quot I decided to put the quot Active quot flag to Vista's partition because a prompt told me that a running OS was needed to put that flag OK Then I rebooted to go to Win and start my looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong install of stuff I was welcomed with a quot Missing BOOTMGR quot I sighted and put my Win HP x in the CD-Rom drive and repaired twice On the th reboot both OS was available at the dual-boot screen Logged onto Win Installed the drivers then checked back the Computer Management to see that partition It was now only labeled quot Primary quot So my question after all that Wall-O-Text is can I safely delete that partition and extend it to one of the two partition Thx

A:Unwanted partition : "System Reserved"

That partition is created when you install 7 to unallocated space. If you create a partition and format it, 7 shouldn't create that partition.

This partition contains boot files and memory test. It needs to be active. Don't know if it will work, but booting from the 7 dvd and doing a repair install might fix. Might have to do it 2 or 3 times to get it all straightened out.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/46313-unwanted-partition-system-reserved.html
Relevancy 95.46%

Recently after flashing a new BIOS I had to do a StartUp Repair (got the "BOOTMGR is missing" message) which did its job and all is working fine, but now I have the "System Reserved" partition showing up when I open Windows Explorer. It's also taking up the F: drive letter, which used to belong to my external HDD. I don't really care about either of that, but for aesthetic purposes if anything, is there a way to make it go away?

A:Visible "System Reserved" partition

Hello mate.

So you can get the correct advice, please post a maximized snip / screen-shot of Windows 7 disk management, making sure the individual columns in the top section are clearly readable, have a look at this tutorial linked below.

How to Upload and Post a Screenshot

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/250598-visible-system-reserved-partition.html
Relevancy 93.74%

I just upgraded my Win 10 desktop from a smaller SSD to a new larger Samsung SSD. Cloning with the Samsung software was quick and painless and the PC booted right up. Then I powered down and reconnected the old SSD and formatted it for use as a data drive and it shows up as G drive but file manager also showed that there is an "F" drive named "system reserved". (BTW, D drive is DVD/RW and E drive is a data HDD, hence the F and G series.) Then I formatted the old SSD now G drive, rebooted and it shows full empty capacity, but the F system reserved is still there. What the heck is that? It only appeared when I connected the old bootable system drive before I formatted it and remains now that drive has been formatted. Can I delete it?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/new-ssd-now-i-have-a-system-reserved-drive-1066682.html
Relevancy 93.74%

Ok so when look at Diskeeper and the drive maps for my HDDs, I see a big chunk of it as "Reserved System (Green/White). A big chunk as in, the HDD is 120Gig and Diskeeper shows 7 "bars" in total, and the reserved system takes up nearly one entire bar...looks like around 80% of an entire bar.

To put this into perspective without a picture (I don't have anywhere to host it on ), my page file (yellow) is 512MB and its only like 1/30th of an entire bar.

Also these "Reserved System"...space...is only on my SATA HDDs (non-RAID), and there is none on my regular HDD.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal and what exactly this "Reserved System" space is and also why its so large?

Thanks in advance.

FYI:
----
Windows XP Pro SP2
Diskeeper 8
NTFS for all HDDs
System Restore OFF
Indexing Service OFF

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/diskeeper-and-reserved-system.283591/
Relevancy 93.74%

As you know in former times the MBR record was always put on the first Primary partition on a hard disc With Windows a separate special quot System Reserved quot partition of MB was introduced for this purpose The MBR is now put on this partition which directs the user finally to the actual target partition to boot MB Reserved" MBR? put the Where "System partition? to the 100 On A possible partitioning could look like this GB partC Primary MB SystemReserved Primary Where to put the MBR? On the "System Reserved" 100 MB partition? Active GB reserve Primary Where to put the MBR? On the "System Reserved" 100 MB partition? GB partD Extended Logical So if I boot my computer then at first the MBR on the quot SystemReserved quot partition is started which shows the boot menu When I select Win on partC then this system is booted Questions Is putting the MBR on the SystemReserved partition now with Win a MUST or do I have the choice to put it on partC as well If I put the MBR on the SystemReserved partition Does this partition have to be visible or can it be hidden as well Is a SystemReserved partition only then required if I have MORE than bootable partition Or can I use it with partition as well How can I find out with a separate easy-to-use tool or cmd where on which partition currently the MBR is saved Thank you Peter

A:Where to put the MBR? On the "System Reserved" 100 MB partition?

The MBR is fixed - it's the System boot files represented by the System flag which can be moved if necessary.

Where is the System flag appearing now, SysReserved? I would leave it there and remove any drive letter in Disk Mgmt if one exists.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/206461-where-put-mbr-system-reserved-100-mb-partition.html
Relevancy 90.3%

I have just bought a laptop. Looking to HDDs I realized that "system reserved" is on the second drive(e:\) whereas windows7 is on the first drive( c:\)
Now I wonder What would happen if I exchange my second HDD? As far as I know "system reserved" contains files which are used during boot. So could I face a disaster while booting the computer after having removed the first HDD?

A:"system reserved" on the second HDD?

Quote: Originally Posted by albert1234

I have just bought a laptop. Looking to HDDs I realized that "system reserved" is on the second drive(e:\) whereas windows7 is on the first drive( c:\)
Now I wonder What would happen if I exchange my second HDD? As far as I know "system reserved" contains files which are used during boot. So could I face a disaster while booting the computer after having removed the first HDD?

Absolutely correct. system reserved (and the hidden boot) needs to be left where they were installed

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/65623-system-reserved-second-hdd.html
Relevancy 89.44%

How to remove the quot Authenticated Users quot quot Create Folders quot permission from the root of the C Drive via command-line I know this question has been asked many times before but nothing works for us We tried the following Take ownership I cannot take ownership using the Administrator account local and Domain Admin accounts of the root C Error Access Denied Cuurent root C owner is TrustedInstaller and acnnot be changed We cannot nbsp change or remove the Create Folders permission of the Authenticated Users of the root C Error Access Denied Drive C is hidden via GPO but many users can enter it from the File-Explorer and create folders permission "Create the "Authenticated Users" command-line? via Folders" How C the root from of to Drive the remove in the root C We do not want -for many reasons- to Block Prevent Access to C via GPO We also nbsp tried to run cacls and or icacls under the system-account PSEXEC -i -s -d CMD Error Access Denied icacls C deny S- - - NP AD Error Access Denied How to remove the "Authenticated Users" "Create Folders" permission from the root of the C Drive via command-line? icacls C remove g S- - - Error Access Denied cacls c e c R quot Authenticated Users quot Error Access Denied Also using GPO quot Computer Configuration Security Settings Restricted Groups quot does not work Now we have this issue How to remove the "Authenticated Users" "Create Folders" permission from the root of the C Drive via command-line? on over pc's on our network Nothing work Please help How to remove the quot Authenticated Users quot quot Create Folders quot permission from the root of the C Drive on nbsp command-line win builder

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2a97f7e6-c685-4a8d-b3db-ca8803c664f6/how-to-remove-the-quotauthenticated-usersquot-quotcreate-foldersquot-permission-from-the?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 89.01%

I'd like to back up and be able to file? How to settings? [registry/system back up the "Indexing Options" restore upon win reinstall all my heavily-customised Indexing Options settings e g I have VERY customised list of file types that I have ticked in the Advanced Options to the quot Index Properties and File Contents quot type instead of just quot Properties quot - which is kind of essential for really properly searching my computer and my documents Like publisher files have text in them that I really need to be able to find and by default PUB is set to Properties only so I have many file types like this ticked to actually be properly indexed And what a pain it would be to have to manually go through and tick every one upon system reinstall not to mention remember note How to back up the "Indexing Options" settings? [registry/system file? down what ones that i ticked beforehand Are the settings stored somewhere in the registry In some system file inside windows USER folder Let's hunt down for where it's stored Nothing in windows can't be backed up Thanks

A:How to back up the "Indexing Options" settings? [registry/system file?

Hello there. This should help you.

Quote:
1. Please click the Windows Pearl (Start button), type "Indexing options" without quotation marks, and press Enter.
2. Click "Modify" button to modify Indexed Locations, for default locations after a clean installation is followings:

Offline Files, Start Menu and Users.

And you could uncheck the selects.

3. Click Advanced button, in the "Index Settings tab", click "Rebuild" to rest the index.

You may also click "Troubleshoot search and indexing" for a troubleshooting wizard.

Source

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/162535-how-back-up-indexing-options-settings-registry-system-file.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi everyone I have an HP Pavilion DV exact model is DV ej - only sold in Israel running Windows Vista Home Premium The notebook is years old and yesterday when i turned it on after the battery died out it displayed a black screen with the message quot no operating system found quot right after displaying the hp logo message "no system Options operating - found" DV6 Pavilion Since then i used the F key to run the SELF-TEST for the HDD and after a quick check it displayed the error message quot - Replace Hard Disk quot The notebooke s CD DVD drive does not work so i used a bootable DOK USB to run the Vista Recovey CD not the installation cd and tried to use all of the recovey options with no avail i also used the command prompt to enter bootrec commands i read in some thread but non of them worked returning SUCCESSFUL for fixmbr fixboot and for RebuildBcd returning quot Pavilion DV6 - "no operating system found" message Options successfully scanned windows installations Total identified windows installations The operation completed successfully quot Then i tried running Hiren s bootCD which contains many testing software and ran the Seagate SeaTools HDD Test for dos which after a couple of seconds returned a Failed message I also ran Western Digital HDD diagnostic test and a after a couple of seconds it returned quot Too many errors found quot or something like that I tried entering safemode by pressing the F key on bootup but nothing happens And when i got my hands on a Vista Installation CD using DOK USB to load i tried doing the same recovery steps i did with the Vista Recovey Disk and got the same results now when i try to boot the notebook it just restarts continually after the hp bootup logo without displaying the quot no operating system found quot message Is there anything else i can do or is my HDD surely dead another note as mentioned earlier this happened right after the battery died out while notebook was on so maybe it could be some kind of weird battery problem edit also the battery doesnt seem to be able to charge anymore and whenever i unplug the charger the notebook shuts down Thanks a lot for all the help Doron nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pavilion-dv6-no-operating-system-found-message-options.1020163/
Relevancy 89.01%

Entering the bios limits me to certain options. Is there anyway to access the other options? sorry, newbie here.

A:No "usb legacy support" "qfan" options on my asus laptop bios.

If your BIOS doesn't include such options, then they simply are not there.

I don't know about hacking BIOS's, and I wouldn't suggest it at all. You could brick your motherboard.

However, you should check with your manufacturer's website and see if there is an update available for the BIOS that may increase available options.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/222756-no-usb-legacy-support-qfan-options-my-asus-laptop-bios.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hey there not sure where to put this but here goes I had a friend bring me a laptop to fix it had a nasty collection of viruses So I took the partition partition as "System reading Reserved" drive Main hard drive out and plugged it in to anoter machine running XP to Main drive partition reading as "System Reserved" partition do a virus scan using Symantec Endpoint Protection I didn't have a USB adapter handy so I just opened the case and installed it as a secondary drive Scan was going Main drive partition reading as "System Reserved" partition well and finding plenty but after hours I needed to take the drive home to continue working on it so I canceled the scan shut down the PC took the drive out and went home At home where I did have a USB Main drive partition reading as "System Reserved" partition adapter I plugged it in and discovered that the system was now reading the drives inocorrectly In My Womputer the main partition shows up as the mb System Reserved partition while in Computer Management it shows up as a gb partition In My Computer I see all the files one expects to see on the System Reserved partition and none of the operating system or user files So today I tried putting the drive back into the laptop and windows will not boot Took it back out and tried it directly installed in a machine as a secondary drive same as before and get the same problem can't access the main partition and can't see the little system reserved partition in the partition manager Does anyone have any suggestions Thank you in advance and I apolopgise if this turns out to be a dumb question

A:Main drive partition reading as "System Reserved" partition

The partition on that drive in which the boot manager files live must be set as "active", in order for the BIOS of your machine to go there to start the boot process. And it also must be of type "primary" in order for it to be set "active". If the partition in which the boot manager files you've mentioned live is currently not set as "active", then that would explain why you can't boot to that drive.

And of course, that hard drive must be listed as the first hard drive in the boot sequence of the BIOS setup, so that the "active" partition on that drive (which is supposed to contain the boot manager files) can be used to kick off the boot process.

This "active" partition is typically that 100MB "system reserved", with the real Win7 system partition itself being a second and much larger partition.

But there's nothing to prevent both (a) boot manager and (b) Win7 system from residing in the same physical partition, as long as (a) it's a "primary" partition and not "logical", and (b) is set as "active", and (c) the hard drive on which it lives is the 1st hard drive listed in the boot sequence for the BIOS.

Anyway, what is the nature of the two partitions you're looking at... i.e. the one with the boot manager files and the other with the Win7 system files?

Screenshot possible? You can also use Partition Wizard to examine the hard drive and modify the "active" vs. "inactive" status of the partitions if necessary.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/212357-main-drive-partition-reading-system-reserved-partition.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hey guys, sorry if this isnt enough information but my PC of 3 years has recently stopped working and i have no idea about this technology...i think my storage is corrupt or something. Anyway, i followed the system start up repair options to a "system recovery options" page which allows me to "Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting windows. Select an operating system to repair" however there is no OS listed in the box below. I am given the option to Load drivers but have no idea what im looking for and get the "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware" error no matter what i click. Any help is appreciated as this is my only computer and i have uni work to do i shall try add pictures at a later date if needed as im currently typing this from my phone. Thanks in advance

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/386278-windows-7-system-recovery-options-cant-find-os.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Last night after hours of toil I finally completed a clean install using a usb drive on my asus ux vd using the brand new SSD drive I had just bought The reason it took so long was I kept getting this error - gt quot Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition quot What I did to finally get it to install was get to the c prompt during the installation and run diskpart and make the integrated GB SSD 'offline' and then I selected the SSD and used the 'clean' command and left the SSD unpartitioned and raw I had read that with SSDs on a clean install you should leave it raw and windows will install on it And it worked Now here's problem number which feels worse than problem number After installing everything went swimmingly I started updating drivers etc I got to the point where I needed or create existing" "Setup unable a new to partition was system locate to do a Windows Update There were things that needed to be updated installed So I ran update with all and that went fine until it went to restart - it wouldn't boot into windows Instead it kept going into that startup restoration program over and over saying it couldn't fix the problem I tried to delete the updates manually through cprompt by running dism but this failed and I figured to hell with the hassle I'll just reinstall Windows since I know how now and then update windows one update at a time BIG MISTAKE I tried doing EXACTLY what I had done before - doing diskpart offlining the integrated SSD etc - however this time the error isn't going away It's still saying quot Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition quot I don't get it I'm doing exactly what I did when I got it to work but it's not working now I can only surmise that the system is still recognizing the integrated SSD somehow Does anyone have any suggestions And is there another "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate existing" way to turn off the integrated SSD I went into bios and made sure that it wasn't being loaded You guys are my only hope I have tabs open on my desktop trying to find a solution

A:"Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate existing"

The steps to get a perfect reinstall are now a tutorial at Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7.

To troubleshoot your install, unplug all other HD's and peripherals, boot into BIOS setup, check that the SSD is set to boot first, set SATA controller to AHCI to try install - later try IDE mode if necessary.

If this fails, Clean again and define a Primary NTFS Active partition as shown in Step 2.2 of SSD - HDD Optimize for Windows Reinstallation. Close the Command Box, Install Now to the partition created.

If these fail post back at exactly what step and any verbatim error message: Clean Install Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/246430-setup-unable-create-new-system-partition-locate-existing.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Let me start off my saying I've installed this exact copy of windows 7 before on this computer with no problems and it worked for years. I'm trying to install Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit version when I run into this message "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing partition." So I search and find a solution in these forums (Setup was unable to create a new system partition) I do that but I get stuck on "format fs=ntsf". I'm getting a message error saying "The arguments specified for this command are not valid." What do I do? I googled but found several different answers and didn't fully understand some if them. Any help would be appreciated.

A:Error message of "Setup was unable to create a new system partition"

Your syntax is off:

Commands are

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 0 (after confirming Windows 7 target HD #)
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="WINDOWS 7"
ACTIVE
EXIT
EXIT

If this isn't enough start at the top of Overcoming Windows 7 Installation Failures - Windows 7 Help Forums

If those steps fail then test your hard drive with the maker's HD Diagnostic extended CD scan, followed by Disk Check done from the installer Command Line on a full disk partition your create.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/339605-error-message-setup-unable-create-new-system-partition.html
Relevancy 88.58%

My Win 7 installation is very unreliable with lots of problems concerning wake up from standby, ATI display driver crashing often and several other glitches. So I decided to do clean restart, wipe out my Win 7 installation and do a complete new install.When I choose my former Win 7 partition, I always get an error message (I hope my translation is correct):"Setup couldn't create a new system partition or couldn't find an existing." There's a hint to look for the installer log, but I couldn't find it.I tried the follwing:1) Deleting the partition2) Deleting the partition and reformating with NTFS3) Deleting the partition from PartedMagic, watching for a hidden partitionNothing helped. I'm always get stucked with the same error.So, what can I do? Any suggestions? Are there some files or partition informations left which I also have to delete? Windows 7 x64 - Gigabyte EP-45-DS3 (Intel P45 chip set), 4GB RAM, ATI 4670

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8c26780a-78ba-4113-994b-a0ef2c117c76/can-not-reinstall-windows-7-quotsetup-couldnt-create-new-system-partitionquot?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 88.58%

Hi We have a problem with Windows Professional running on a Lenovo X laptop nbsp The quot Back up now quot feature does not work but the quot Create a system image' nbsp feature does work nbsp quot up but working 7 not system image now" Windows works "Back create Back Windows 7 "Back up now" not working but create system image works up now quot feature had been working before in the past but now clicking on the icon does nothing nbsp No response nbsp We backup this laptop to an external USB drive that has plenty of diskspace left nbsp I also tried backing up to a Windows 7 "Back up now" not working but create system image works new drive but no response so I don't think it's the drive There are no error messages in the event viewer and no error message ever appears onscreen nbsp Clicking on quot Back up now quot nbsp has no affect I'm thinking maybe a patch or recent update is somehow interfering with the backup software I have searched Google and found people with a similar problem due to the fact they installed Acronis backup software but we never used nbsp Acronis I briefly looked in the Registry but didn't see anything obviously wrong Has anyone had this problem before nbsp Or can someone point me in the right direction Thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/434776e9-56b6-4539-aff6-06e2d6b0621e/windows-7-quotback-up-nowquot-not-working-but-create-system-image-works?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 88.58%

I had a completely unexpected system failure while I was checking my email one day Windows after partition" create even to unable a new format system was "Setup shut down unexpectedly When I restarted there was no OS detected Afterwards I decided to do a fresh install of from a "Setup was unable to create a new system partition" even after format bootable USB During install I was unable to install to my SDD when windows said only MB were available I deleted all partitions using through Windows installation Still no luck after that so I decided to try and install onto my HDD after yet another clean and wipe through both Windows installation and Parted Magic which was still was unable to do anything with my SDD After all that I still continued to get the error message quot Setup was unable to create a new system partition quot so I went in and created a new partition through the command prompt which I had to remove a stick of ram in order to accomplish After quot successfully quot creating the new partition I still continue to get the same error

A:"Setup was unable to create a new system partition" even after format

Is the drive setup as GPT or MBR, if GPT you have to setup the installer as UEFI

instructions will be in the tutorial section.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/382080-setup-unable-create-new-system-partition-even-after-format.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hi Just spent the last hours trying to install a fresh Win system create error to was new no unable partition" "setup log on my pc I used Ubuntu before "setup was unable to create new system partition" no error log and "setup was unable to create new system partition" no error log formated the drive from GParted in Ubuntu I'm running into the error quot setup was unable to create a new system partition "setup was unable to create new system partition" no error log or locate an existing system partition quot I have tried Running through this DiskPart lt ENTER gt list disk lt ENTER gt select disk lt ENTER gt clean lt ENTER gt create partition primary align lt ENTER gt format fs ntfs lt ENTER gt Will Take a While assign lt ENTER gt active lt ENTER gt exit lt ENTER gt exit lt ENTER gt Switched to a different ISO to test if the first one was corrupted or something Fiddled with all sorts of USB settings boot settings etc Tried that trick of removing the USB stick and putting it back in before choosing which drive to install on Tried load the ISO to USB with both Windows USB Loader tool and Rufus AND on top of all this I can't access the setuperr log file since I get quot Access Denied quot trying to open it The drive is an SSD with gb capacity that's all I know about it without opening up the whole body I'll be bald if this continous Pulling my hair like an idiot over this Thanks in advance

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/396823-setup-unable-create-new-system-partition-no-error-log.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hi there,

I am facing a problem with the backup program of Windows 8. My computer (Asus with 250SSD) disk is new and I just installed my programs. Now I want to create a System Image using Windows. The image should be around 50go. Everything works fine until I get a message error saying my external disk does not have enough space, which is impossible since it is completely empty (500go).
Did anyone have ever meet that problem and/or have advices to help me? I would like to solve that and not be forced to used another way to backup.

Thank you,

Vari

A:Create system image failed - "not enough space on disk"

Is your second disc formatted NTFS?

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/16220-create-system-image-failed-not-enough-space-disk.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hey everyone,
I've searched quite extensively and followed quite a few guides on how to install windows 7 with UEFI.
I've got a Dell latitude E6540 laptop with a new WD 500GB blue HD. Every time I try to install Windows 7 Pro x64 I get the:
"Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the Setup log files for more information."
I've followed the following threads with no avail:
Setup was unable to create a new system partition
SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with
Any help with this would be very appreciated.

A:Windows 7 x64 "Setup unable to create system partition"

the drive has to be GPT and not MBR, and this still might not work.

Windows 7 is not worth the effort of UEFI, just go Legacy boot and MBR.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/397836-windows-7-x64-setup-unable-create-system-partition.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hello I have a Hp Pavillion dm laptop running Ubuntu and now want to install Windows bit and make the laprop dual booted I burnt the Windows installation iso file onto a pen drive and booted from it It runs till the dialog box quot where do you want to install Windows quot It shows the following partitions on my Hard Drive I am also attaching a screenshot of output of GParted from my Ubuntu It shows GB as unknwon file system and thus I would like to install Windows on to this partition I guess in the windows installation setup it shows GB as System partition and that is the same partition that is pointed to by Gparted However when I click on quot Next quot when trying to install Windows it says Setup was unable to create a new partition or locate an existing system partition See the Setup log files for more information I have no idea new Ubuntu Installing partition" after create "Setup to Windows unable a was system why this error is Installing Windows after Ubuntu "Setup was unable to create a new system partition" being thrown Could someone please help me out

A:Installing Windows after Ubuntu "Setup was unable to create a new system partition"

Hi, see if the post here on installing helps dual boot - How can I install Windows after I've installed Ubuntu? - Ask Ubuntu scroll down a bit on the page.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/installing-windows-after-ubuntu-setup-was-unable-to-create-a-new-system-partition-1016354.html
Relevancy 88.15%

quot Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing partition quot I had my PC multi-booting between Win amp XP using EasyBCD to create the boot menu at startup But there has been new was partition..." unable a "Setup to please! system Help create a problem with the XP "Setup was unable to create a new system partition..." Help please! installation and today I deleted it and installed a different version of XP Big mistake of course as I "Setup was unable to create a new system partition..." Help please! forgot about the Easy BCD setup From then everything went wrong for instance neither of my Windows Image backups including one done in Acronis are 'valid' apparently and in desperation I have wiped the XP partitions and tried to reinstall afresh I have used various tools - Partition Wizard Paragon Rescue the original Windows and Windows XP CD-ROMs but to cut to the chase when I try to reinstall Windows from the original Windows CD-ROM I get the 'setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing partition' error when I choose the partition I want to use I have spent all day Googling this and have had to face defeat so I have a non-booting PC now I thought this would help Setup was unable to create a new system partition I followed instructions as per post with diskpart but rebooting after the format was complete I still get the same error message Nice YouTube video https www youtube com watch v aCrnJLJkiY but at my PC doesn't create a MB system partition and I still get the same error I really hope someone can help here Why doesn't Win want to install on the drive I have prepared SSD I'll keep Googling meanwhile Nil desperandum Thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/381640-setup-unable-create-new-system-partition-help-please.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Conclusion Summary Goal Do clean reinstall of Windows Problem While trying to install from OEM CD to my Hard drive I got this message quot Setup was Reinstalling a 7-"Setup new to system..." Win create unable was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing partition See the Setup log files for more information quot Here's what I did thanks to everyone's help that eventually worked Deleted all partitions into one section Disk I did Shift F to pull up the command window Ran the following commands to clean disk DISKPART lt Enter gt list disk lt Enter gt select disk lt Enter gt clean all Took overnight to run just the command quot clean quot would probably been sufficient exit lt Enter gt exit lt Enter gt Created an active partition of gb through commands as seen in this tutorial How to Optimize an SSD HDD When Reinstalling Win 7-"Setup was unable to create a new system..." You're Ready to Reinstall the Operating System After creating the new active partition disk I was able to do a reinstall of Windows Note I later extended disk to include dik 's GB Thanks for your help everyone I hope this may be helpful for others -Andrew Original message I am trying to do a reinstall of Windows Home Premium from an OEM Reinstall disc I deleted all partitions so now all I have is partition GB free Screenshot However when I try to click next I get a Reinstalling Win 7-"Setup was unable to create a new system..." message saying quot Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing partition See the Reinstalling Win 7-"Setup was unable to create a new system..." Setup log files for more information quot Disk Part Fix I came here to this awesome forum and tried doing the Shift F disk part fix I did the clean all command but hours later there was no success message and I read the average speed was GB hour Clean Clean All I also read that some people had run the clean all command for hours and it turned out they only need to do the clean command So I tried the clean command and performed it quickly but I'm still getting the quot Setup was unable quot message More Info Let me know if you need more info from me I'm not overly tech savvy but I'm willing to try anything at this point Here are some additional screenshots from diskpart showing no partition or volume quot There are no partitions on this disk to show quot DISKPART gt detail disk Would highly appreciate your help Andrew

A:Reinstalling Win 7-"Setup was unable to create a new system..."

Set your bios to defaults, if that doesn`t work IM Gregrocker.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/259271-reinstalling-win-7-setup-unable-create-new-system.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hello,
My C: Drive uses 30 GB of data. As this is a recently bought computer, this is 99% Windows OS data.

I'd like to create a System Image on DVDs, but I wondered whether there was a way to exclude any unnecessary stuff. Or is all 30GB necessary? (Remember, this 30GB of used data is pretty much how it was on the day we first bought the computer brand new at the computer store.
P.S. Is the "Create System Image" function provided free in Win7 the best application for creating a system image? Or does some other software company have a better (and free) application?

A:Can I make "Create System Image" use less DVDs?

Macrium Reflect gives a little more flexibility in choosing which drives to image, since Win7 Backup Imaging requires the System partition to be included,

You really want an external for this job, though. DVD's are unreliable by comparison, esp when you need so many.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/68628-can-i-make-create-system-image-use-less-dvds.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I am trying to create my first ever "restore point". Start > Settings > Control Panel > System (icon) > System (window) > System protection (item) > System-Properties (dlg)
-----
System Properties (dialog) > System Protection (tab)

There are two Available drives in the "Protection Settings" panel
(C:) Local Disk (System) ... Protection:= ON
System ... Protection:= OFF
Should "System" be OFF ?

If I only Create "... drives that have system protection turned on..." -- will I be getting what I expect --
a valid restore point ?

In Configure (btn) > System Protection for (C: Local Disk (dlg)
Disk Space Usage is set to "0 bytes" (zero)
Is this a correct setting (and what about #2. System (drive), too) ?

Would the same method/assumptions, apply to both Win7 32/64bit PCs
-----
1. My Laptop -- Toshiba, Win7 32Bit
2. One tower (as per "My System specs") -- Win7 64bit

A:Create "Restore Point" -- system protection is OFF ?

I have Configure (btn) > System Protection for (C: Local Disk (dlg)
Disk Space Usage set to 10% of my memory (Ram)

I'm showing only one, not two system protection(s) to turn on.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/285782-create-restore-point-system-protection-off.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I don't understand how Window 's quot Create System Image quot could possibly work What I During System Files Open "Create Image" mean is when Windows is running aren't there lots of Open Files During "Create System Image" quot open quot files processes or programs that would be better killed before the image process is run For example I run multiple databases that have all sorts of files open or locked while the database is online How could quot Create System Image quot give me Open Files During "Create System Image" a good image I could restore from Because the image would have all those locks in place Contrast this with a tool like MiniTool which allows you to make a copy of the C drive It does this after shutting down Windows and before Window reboots That way all of Windows' files are closed and inactive during the copy process I am sure the Windows' developers are about a thousand times brighter than I am and I guess I believe quot Create System Image quot works but I can't figure out how it could work while Windows in operation

A:Open Files During "Create System Image"

Windows uses what they call Shadow Copy to enable an image to be taken even if files are open.

Shadow Copy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/336140-open-files-during-create-system-image.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I've been trying to install Windows 7 from a USB drive on a new HP laptop and I've ran into some problems.

There are 3 partitions listed. One is called HPDOCS, 7gb and is listed as primary. The second is also at 7gb and is listed as system, and the third was unallocated space with 920~ gb.

After some research, I've decided to try out the whole cmd "diskpart" thing. Furthermore, I've tried making my drive bootable by copying the installation files on it and installing directly from the drive, but after trying the " xcopy d: c: /e /h /k " command, I receive the message that there are no files to copy.

And lastly, after restarting and trying again, now I only have 1 partition, 930~ gb, and listed as system. Did I mess something up? Was something essential deleted? Can it be reverted?

Help is much appreciated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/402271-setup-unable-create-new-system-partition.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Microsoft Windows "Create a fails Repair System Disc" Repair Disc refuses to work What should I do to allow creation of a System Repair Disc I created I think successfully as the Finish window seemed normal a System Image on "Create a System Repair Disc" fails a USB hard drive The image was created overnight After the image was created while still inside Backup and Restore I received "Create a System Repair Disc" fails the sub-window asking if I wanted to Create a System Repair Disc I inserted a new DVD and clicked to start the process The quot Create a System Repair Disc quot subwindow opened to allow the drive selection Immediately thereafter with the drive selection window text greyed out before the I could even see the drive selection drop-down arrow a failure window opened on top of it Microsoft Windows Repair Disc has stopped working A problem caused please close the program If the debug option was chosen the same window appeared but without the Debug option leaving only the Close the program option I rebooted and via Backup and Restore again tried to Create a System Repair Disc This failed the same way I rebooted and used another freshly unpacked DVD The same failure occurred Following forum post suggestions I have subsequently successfully burned and verified a DVD on the DVD drive I use Windows Professional on an Asus U -F Yesterday -- maybe a coincidence -- before this failure I also installed successfully all of the most recent Windows Updates

A:"Create a System Repair Disc" fails

Welcome
Follow these instructions, carefully.
If they do not work, look at step 7
System Repair Disc - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/247815-create-system-repair-disc-fails.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hey all This is a weird question but I've been trying to figure out how to CREATE a quot protected operating system file folder quot For example quot desktop ini quot is one My story is that You Create Operating How System File"? "Protected a Do I accidentally deleted a junction the C Documents and Settings junction which maps to C Users for backwards compatibility I created a new one using the command-line mklink tool but the folder is not marked as a quot protected operating system file quot so when I turn the option on to hide those How Do You Create a "Protected Operating System File"? it still shows up The only thing I can find online that is special about these files is that they have the System and Hidden attributes both turned on I have turned these on but it still shows up so there seems to be another flag behind the scenes that marks files as quot protected quot files Any search turns up a million tutorials for how to go into the Folder Options GUI and turn on off the quot show quot option Does anyone know how to do this Let me know if I need to elucidate

A:How Do You Create a "Protected Operating System File"?

Hello Jim,

You might see if using this command in a elevated command prompt, then restart the computer may work. It should make it a hidden system file.

attrib +s +h full folder path /S /D

or

attrib +s +h full folder path /S /D /L

Hope this helps some,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/45468-how-do-you-create-protected-operating-system-file.html
Relevancy 88.15%

when i right click on my DVD writer i do not get the options "OPEN",EXPLORE & AUTOPLAY"..How do i bring them back?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-open-explore-options-from-context-menu.757322/
Relevancy 87.29%

With system image in Windows 7 Enterprise does it create a exact duplicate of your hard disk? Right now I have 7 Enterprise and Office 2007 Activated. So lets say one day my computer crashes or the HDD needs to be replaced all I need to do is restore that image? and it will be back to how it is now with 7 and office 07 Activated? I will not need any other items like the instalation disks?

Thanks very much,

A:Question about "Create a system image"?

Yes, that is exactly what a system image will do.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/54552-question-about-create-system-image.html
Relevancy 87.29%

From Backup and Restore in Control panel...I get the errors in the jpg attached ? The drive is working and I can add and delete files at random to the D: drive. Currently I'm using regular CD's...not a DVD disk.

Thanks....TR

A:Can't create "System Restore Disk" ?

Could it be you dvd burner having issues? try updating the dvd drives firmware

You could try backing it up on an external drive or network drive.

If that is not an option you could download a pre-made iso of a repair disc

http://www.blogsdna.com/5206/downloa...overy-disc.htm

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/116871-cant-create-system-restore-disk.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Hi Forum,

I have read over a couple of the tutorials on creating a system image. The process is very straight forward and I understand how to go about creating a complete system image, windows 7 walks you right through it and it seems rather simple. However, I keep all my files double backed up on separate HDDs (I have about 3tbs of files), so all my data is safe. Therefore I just want to backup the basics; OS, Drivers, etc... Just the stuff I would need to get my system up and running again if something were to happen, like an intense virus or something.

I might have overlooked it when reading through the tutorials, but I do not see it. Could someone explain to me if it's possible to just create an image of the basics? Just Operating System and all necessary software and drivers to get me up and running. Is this possible?

Brandon

A:Create a "Default" System Image?

Hello Brandon,

Sorry, but you will not be able to unselect anything on system drives from being included in system images.

However, you could store your 3 TB of files in say a folder or multiple folders on a non system drive, then include the folder(s) in a library or libraries of your choice. This way you can also access the files from the library, and not have them included in a system image.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/296183-create-default-system-image.html
Relevancy 86.43%

I have had the Ad Watch bug and get the "create an association in the Folder Options" error message when trying to open a program. Nothing will open and all exe.and lnk. files are missing from Folder Options. When I try to create new exe. files and new lnk files, the "apply" button is not highlighted so it will not save. I can make other changes and the button is there but it still won't save the exe changes. I am at my wits end. I have been on most forums looking for the answer. Please help.

Relevancy 86.43%

Please help us to troubleshoot the following problem in our Compaq NX 9000 Machine with Windows XP Professional Operating System:-

- An error shows with two options "Switch to" & "Retry" after booting the machine, which forces to press "Retry" button in the error window repeatedly and as you press this "Retry" button, "Start Menu" automatically opens and it then again asks to press "Retry" Button.

Thanks to all helping members.

Regards,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/an-error-shows-with-two-options-switch-to-retry.238755/
Relevancy 85.57%

Title says it all. I was quite happy with the way Win 7 allowed creation of a system image, cannot find a way to do it in 8.

A:Win 8, How to create "System Image"?

How to create a system image in Windows 8.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win-8-how-to-create-system-image.197927/
Relevancy 85.14%

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has an expert opinion they'd like to share on whether the one year of Trend Micro Titanium that Best Buy threw in for free is something I ought to actually use, or should I just install the apps that are generally recommended in this forum?

My big consideration is how much the security software I use will slow down my system. Although I don't do anything too rigorous, so maybe I shouldn't worry about that?

Thanks very much in advance, and I hope this is an ok topic for this section!

A:Should I use/skip the "Trend Micro Titanium IS" that came free w/my Win 8.1 machine?

I think you should try it at least for a while. Only you can decide if it's suitable for your computer and situation. Trend Micro gets good reviews and it's free. There are plenty of excellent free alternatives that you can download and in fact Windows 8.1 has good security built in of its own. See how it goes.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/should-i-use-skip-the-trend-micro-titanium-is-that-came-free-w-my-win-8-1-machine.201840/
Relevancy 85.14%

Can the "Replace or Skip Files Confirmation" window be changed to the way it was in Windows 7? The one on windows 10 is inconvenient and even at times confusing (Like when backing up text files from my hard drive to a flash drive into a fold of the same name)

A:Can the "Replace or Skip Files Confirmation" window be changed

I also find this a step backwards.

I do a lot of moving files around and often have to replace older versions.

The XP-style copy/replace requestor was perfect:

Is there any way to get this functionality back in Win 10 (probably via a 3rd party util)?

Cheers,

Mike.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/18452-can-replace-skip-files-confirmation-window-changed.html
Relevancy 85.14%

I have a G19 logitech keyboard. I use the Play / Stop / Skip buttons on it for iTunes. However, when something else other than the desktop or the iTunes window itself is selected, those buttons operate Windows Media Player.

Simply put, how am I able to always have these buttons function for iTunes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sean

Relevancy 84.71%

Hello All A friend of mine gave me a few computers- because his office was upgrading all of their systems- I reformatted many of them and installed windows me they are too slow to support xp but I am having a problem with one Originally it had windows pro as the os I didn t have the password to log-into the computer So I ran fdisk formatted the hard drive then tried to continue" OS key then remove system Installation: to any "invalid press disk, install the new os but I keep getting the error message upon booting that quot invalid system disk remove then press any key to continue quot I thought the cd-rom was bad so I replaced it I changed the boot sequence used a floppy to boot OS Installation: "invalid system disk, remove then press any key to continue" even got the hard drive manufacturer s utility program to prep the drive for the os but even that doesn t work Am I missing something Does the fact that I didn t have the password to enter the computer have anything to do with this I used this same method for installing me on all the other systems and they are fine but this one is an issue Thanks in advance for any suggestions nbsp

A:OS Installation: "invalid system disk, remove then press any key to continue"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/os-installation-invalid-system-disk-remove-then-press-any-key-to-continue.388778/
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi there I don't know if anyone out there has had this similar problem I bought a new hard drive began to install windows xp unfortunately I hadn't realised that the New &quot;Error Installation operating system&quot; loading - [SOLVED] power socket for the hard drive was plugged into the slave socket of [SOLVED] &quot;Error loading operating system&quot; - New Installation my standby saver and it switched off as the setup was beginning [SOLVED] &quot;Error loading operating system&quot; - New Installation the formatting section [SOLVED] &quot;Error loading operating system&quot; - New Installation of the windows xp install I rebooted the hard drive and now all that appears in an error saying quot Error loading operating system quot AHHHHHHHHH I have tried to reboot with the windows disc in the hard drive and also tried installing the disc when the error message appears NOTHING I have went onto a couple of other forum sites and it looks as though I may have to change the BIOS but some others say do not do this unless all else fails I have been directed to the techsupportforum as I have been told that if anyone knows it will be on this forum site PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help I am at my wits end and don't know what to do now I forgot to mention on boot up my MSI motherboard goes through the motions them almost immediately the error message appears

A:[SOLVED] &quot;Error loading operating system&quot; - New Installation

clear the drive with killdisk

then format and install

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-and-quot-error-loading-operating-system-and-quot-new-installation-473736.html
Relevancy 84.71%

OK this is not really a start up or boot problem only an annoyance so i boot from the not in vista recovery option" listed installation "system windows installation dvd vista loads i choose the quot repair your computer quot option the quot system recovery option quot appears and the problem is my vista home premium is not listed there so basically i can't select an installation to repair if vista installation not listed in "system recovery option" i needed to i only have one OS i notice that at the bottom of the box it says quot if you do not see your operating system listed click load drivers to load drivers for you hard disks quot do i need to load a driver for my hard drive or something or what drivers is that referring to any knowledgeable mind to explain what that means what could be casing this problem about my vista installation not listing my system works just fine I'm just concerned why vista is not listed in the quot system recovery option quot thanks vista installation not listed in "system recovery option" for any help

A:vista installation not listed in "system recovery option"

Hello Gothnezz,

I believe you are referring to step 5 in the tutorial below. If so, then you can just go ahead and click on Next to continue anyway.

System Recovery Options

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/261162-vista-installation-not-listed-system-recovery-option.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello,

I am trying to install Song Vegas 8 onto my Windows Vista via the installation disk.I have been having several small issues, first it takes forever to start installation and then when it does FINALLY begin installing I receive this message "Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, please run the installation again" why does it do this? what does this mean? and what on earth do I do?

Also to try and combat this I have already e moved the start up file to the desktop and have been starting the installation manually. Also I deleted some files to ensure I had enough space.

what on earth should I do???? I have been trying for three weeks to get this to work, I know it's probably a simple fix but I have no idea what on earth to do!

A:Sony Vegas 8.0 - Installation Problem "Your System has not been Modified"

My advice would be to post your problem on the Sony forums http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/default.asp

They're a good community and very helpful.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sony-vegas-8-0-installation-problem-your-system-has-not-been-modified.1081604/
Relevancy 84.71%

Dear All,

Pleeeeeeeeeeese help me..i cannot able to install FIFA 2013 GAME in my lap..which windows 7, 32 bit

while clicking installer.exe, it will take to installation process.
but after clinking on install button.

it will show like this .
"the system cannot find the file specified "

PLs guys

A:problem during in fifa 13 installation "the system cannot find the file specified"

Where did you get Fifa 13?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-during-in-fifa-13-installation-the-system-cannot-find-the-file-specified.1116690/
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi i recently built a computer with an abit an- mobo a gb maxtor hdd mb of ram and a radeon anyway I was booting up for the first time with the OS winxp home in the cdrom rom drive everything was going peachy until it System" Operating finished But "Error Xp - Loading never installation came to formatting the hard drive it took about an hour or so but when it was complete an error came up saying that it was unsuccsessful and the disk may be damaged i then tried a quot quick format quot and then the setup decided that the disk wasnt "Error Loading Operating System" - But Xp never finished installation inserted into the cdrom drive giving up i quit setup and rebooted on the next cycle on startup a message quot error loading operating system quot popped up and now wont go away what can i do to stop this and what can i do next time to make setup sucessful Thanks alot any input it much appreciated i have found similar posts but all of them are problems happening after winxp was installed from friends input it seems my hard drive needs to be reformatted but i cant get to it anyway ive tried to boot dos fdisk and maxpower from the cdrom drive but to no preveil once "Error Loading Operating System" - But Xp never finished installation again any input is really appreciated ime a real noob and am probably missing something stupid John

A:"Error Loading Operating System" - But Xp never finished installation

Hi

I would be inclined to download the diagnostic software from the maxtor site and zero the disc and check it over for faults and then use the 'install disc' option within that software and start again with XP - if the disc checks out OK that is.

Peter

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/error-loading-operating-system-but-xp-never-finished-installation-50321.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello,

I just bought myself new HW and a new SSD for my computer, and I also installed a fresh Windows 7 on the new SSD. I put my old HDD with Vista on D: and copied a couple of documents over to "my documents" folder to my C: drive + a couple of other files.

I am now cleaning up my D: drive to get rid of all the Vista files which I don't need any more, and I have stumbled over "System volume information" folder. This folder was last modified at the date I installed Windows 7 (5 days ago). Can I just remove this folder without any repercussion?

A:"System volume information" folder on my old Vista installation

It's actually a part of System Restore; the tool that allows you to set points in time to roll back your computer. The System Volume Information folder is where OS stores these points and associated information that makes them accessible.
If you're not using System Restore feature, you can delete it. I recommend you to keep it untouched.
Fore more information, refer here:
Tips Fixes & FAQs
Take Care

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/210772-system-volume-information-folder-my-old-vista-installation.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Its been a long night trying to install my C All in one printer I managed to install the Scaner but NOT the printer I get that error after installing the drivers I ve tried to check what the log file says no luck Is there anyone out there that can check my log file Thnx x Selected driver installs from section the System Error from find Installation file specified" cannot "The hpoc GPD "The System cannot find the file specified" Error from Installation NT in c windows system driverstore filerepository hpoaioa inf b f hpoaioa inf dvi Set selected driver complete inf SetupCopyOEMInf C Windows INF oem inf inf Opened PNF C Windows INF oem inf strings lt src oempath gt inf Failed to Catalog - error ignored inf Error The "The System cannot find the file specified" Error from Installation system cannot find the file specified inf SetupCopyOEMInf exit x inf Opened PNF C Windows System DriverStore FileRepository hpoaioa inf b f hpoaioa inf strings lt src drvstore gt dvi Selected driver installs from section hpoc GPD NT in c windows system driverstore filerepository hpoaioa inf b f hpoaioa inf dvi Set selected driver complete dvi Plug and Play Service Device Install for USBPRINT HPPHOTOSMART C SERIES amp D A B amp amp USB ump Creating Install Process DrvInst exe ndv Infpath C Windows INF oem inf ndv DriverNodeName hpoaioa inf HP NT hpoc GPD NT usbprint hpphotosmart c s ndv DriverStorepath C Windows System DriverStore FileRepository hpoaioa inf b f hpoaioa inf ndv Building driver list from driver node strong name inf Opened PNF C Windows System DriverStore FileRepository hpoaioa inf b f hpoaioa inf strings lt src drvstore gt dvi Selected driver installs from section hpoc GPD NT in c windows system driverstore filerepository hpoaioa inf b f hpoaioa inf dvi Set selected driver complete ndv Core Device Install inf Opened PNF C Windows INF oem inf strings lt src oempath gt pol Device installation is subject to policy dvi DIF ALLOW INSTALL dvi Using exported function ClassInstall in module C Windows system ntprint dll dvi Class installer ntprint dll ClassInstall dvi No CoInstallers found dvi Class installer Enter dvi Class installer Exit dvi Default installer Enter dvi Default installer Exit dvi DIF ALLOW INSTALL - exit xe e ndv Installing files dvi DIF INSTALLDEVICEFILES dvi Class installer Enter inf Opened INF C Windows System DriverStore FileRepository hpoaioa inf b f hpoaioa inf strings lt src drvstore gt inf Opened INF C Windows System DriverStore FileRepository hpoaioa inf b f hpoaioa inf strings lt src drvstore gt inf AddReg REG INFO hpoaioa inf line dvi Class installer failed x dvi Error The system cannot find the file specified dvi DIF INSTALLDEVICEFILES - exit x ndv Device install status x ndv Performing device install final cleanup ndv Queueing up error report since device installation failed ndv Core Device Install - exit x dvi DIF DESTROYPRIVATEDATA dvi Class installer Enter dvi Class installer Exit dvi Default installer Enter dvi Default installer Exit dvi DIF DESTROYPRIVATEDATA - exit xe e ump Server install process exited with code x ump Plug and Play Service Device Install exit ndv Device Install failed for new device installing NULL driver dvi Plug and Play Service Device Install for USBPRINT HPPHOTOSMART C SERIES amp D A B amp amp USB ump Creating Install Process DrvInst exe ndv Installing NULL driver dvi Set selected driver complete pol Device installation is subject to policy dvi DIF ALLOW INSTALL dvi No class installer for HPPhotosmart C series dvi No CoInstallers found dvi Default installer Enter dvi Default installer Exit dvi DIF ALLOW INSTALL - exit xe e dvi DIF INSTALLDEVICE dvi No class installer for HPPhotosmart C series dvi Default installer Enter dvi Installing NULL driver dvi Writing common driver property settings dvi Restarting Devices dvi Restart USBPRINT HPPHOTOSMART C SERIES amp D A B amp amp USB dvi Restarting Devices exit dvi Default installer Exit dvi DIF INSTALLDEVICE - exit... Read more

A:"The System cannot find the file specified" Error from Installation

I've always found this to be one of the most annoying problems you can get.

Try copying the driver files from the CD (or the entire CD) to a folder on your hard drive and install from there. Before you attempt the install make sure the printer is NOT plugged in to the computer - the setup program should prompt you to connect it. I've found this to be a very important step as the drivers won't install properly otherwise.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/the-system-cannot-find-the-file-specified-error-from-installation.775889/
Relevancy 84.28%

I have been trying to install a particular debt amortization program with suffix msi I keep getting quot system administrator quot message when trying to install Running windows VISTA Per other threads downloaded HijackThis log as follows Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system taskeng exe C WINDOWS RtHDVCpl exe C hp support hpsysdrv exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard On-Screen OSD Indicator OSD exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe installation." this Administrator policies "System set to Help! has prevent C Program Files eFax Messenger J GDllCmd exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat acrotray exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C WINDOWS System hkcmd exe C WINDOWS System igfxpers exe C Program Files IObit IObit Security is tray exe C Program Files AVG AVG "System Administrator has set policies to prevent this installation." Help! avgtray exe C Program "System Administrator has set policies to prevent this installation." Help! Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C Windows system igfxsrvc exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Advisor HPAdvisor exe C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe C WINDOWS ehome ehtray exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exe C Program Files eFax Messenger J GTray exe C Program Files NETGEAR WG v WG v exe C Windows ehome ehmsas exe C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C Program Files Norton Internet Security Engine ccSvcHst exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office WINWORD EXE C Program Files Microsoft Office Live OfficeLiveSignIn exe C Windows system SearchFilterHost exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale en us amp c amp bd Presario amp pf desktop R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page https www nationallife com FormsAuthAD logon aspx R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale en us amp c amp bd Presario amp pf desktop R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale en us amp c amp bd Presario amp pf desktop R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer http R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook AVG Security Toolbar BHO - A BC A - F - -AA - D C - C Program Files AVG AVG Toolbar IEToolbar dll F - REG system ini UserInit C Windows system Userinit exe O - Hosts localhost O - BHO no name - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - no file O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - C E -B - BC - - C CA - c program files real realplayer rpbrowserrecordplugin dll O - BHO WormRadar com IESiteBlocker NavFilter - CA F - F E- B -A E- E E C C - C Program Files AVG AVG avgssie dll O - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO Symantec NCO BHO - ADB E- AFF- - AA - DAC DFA - C Program Files Norton Internet Security Engine coIEPlg dl... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-administrator-has-set-policies-to-prevent-this-installation-help.912312/
Relevancy 84.28%

I am trying to install several programs, most of which are msi installers, and I get the same error every installation. the error reads "the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation" I Googled the message and found only 2009 stuff regarding preinstalled OSes and removing preinstalled junk programs, but this is a full install from a Windows 7 DVD and a few installers from the internet and Windows 7 forums. I am the administrator and the ONLY user of the computer. There is NO "run as administrator" on any of these installers so I cannot tell it to do so.

Please help me fix.

A:"the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation"

There are two kind of setup files for programs. a .MSI and a Setup.exe. An MSI is a Windows Installer database. Windows Installer (a service installed with Windows) uses this to install software on your system (i.e. copy files, set registry values, etc...) This is run when you use a Windows installer like Setup.exe
setup.exe may either be a bootstrapper or a non-msi installer. A non-msi installer will extract the installation resources from itself and manage their installation directly. A bootstrapper will contain an MSI instead of individual files. In this case, the setup.exe will call Windows Installer to install the MSI. Always look for Setup.exe to install a program.
What program or App are you trying to install from a Windows 7 DVD? What installers are your trying to install?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/the-system-administrator-has-set-policies-to-prevent-this-installation-980338.html
Relevancy 84.28%

When I click on "tools" on the menu bar in any folder that I am exploring and subsequently click on "folder options" I notice that the "view" tab is completely missing. The only tab I have access to is "file types"

This creates a serious problem when dealing with hidden folders that were hidden prior to me having knowledge of this "view" feature being absent.

What are my options to restore this "view" tab so that I can view the hidden files that I need access to?

TIA

A:"View Tab" in "Folder Options" missing

Other than a system restore, I don't know how to restore the view tab. I can tell you how to enable the hidden files and folders from the registry.
Start> Run> type: regedit and hit OK. Navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
Advanced
Click on Advanced folder in the left pane and look for Hidden in the right panel. Set the value to 1 to show and 2 to hide.
If not there, create DWORD value with Value name: Hidden and set the value as above.

Edit: Forgot to add, you need to restart computer for settings to be changed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/view-tab-in-folder-options-missing.471884/
Relevancy 84.28%

I am using Win XP Home and before I installed a new printer into my system, I was able to turn the computer on in the morning and by the time I had my coffee ready, the computer was ready to go without asking me to log in. Now, I have to log in and wait.
Is there a way for me to eliminate the log in procedure since nobody else ever uses the computer?

TNX, Pete

Relevancy 83.42%

Hi, I'm running Windows 7 and get this message for every update/install/repair I do:

"This installation is forbidden by system policy. Contact your system administrator"

After som research I came across this solution:

"Browse the registry to HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer Create: DisableMSI Type: REG_DWORD value = 0 "

Other W7 users seemed happy with this solution but I can't seem to find a folder named "installer" on this path!?

Any help would be greatly apreciated!

A:Installation forbidden by "system policy" - why?

If you're in a work environment the system admin probably set it up like that for there own protection.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/258816-installation-forbidden-system-policy-why.html
Relevancy 82.99%

i installed a video converter sometime ago named "wondershare" video converter & I recently noticed in "internet options" under the "security" tab when i select "trusted sites", a website is listed that I have never entered & allowed. I remove the website and when i apply the changes then close the window & open it again, the website appears again as if I didnt remove it. its an http site & its address after "HTTP://" begins with a star(*). Actual address is "*.wondershare(dot)com". I have included a pic of the website. I would really like some help or tips to remove it permanently from my PC.Thanks ahead of time to those who view & lend their expertise to my issue.

A:can't remove website from internet options" "trust sites"?

not sure ,but, did you reboot computer after click to remove it, and go back and see if its still there

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/56186-cant-remove-website-internet-options-trust-sites.html
Relevancy 82.99%

My Apply Button in Internet Options is "white-out" or grayed-out" in my Internet Explorer brozer , therefore I cannot make any changes in my Internet Options. Please explain how to fix this problem in very simple steps being that I am not a computer wiz !

A:Apply Button in Internet Options is "white-out" or grayed-out"

closing duplicate, please respond at http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/1041319-internet-options-apply-button-grayed.html .

please do not create duplicate threads for the same issues.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/apply-button-in-internet-options-is-white-out-or-grayed-out.1041324/
Relevancy 82.56%

I am unable to create a shortcut in the startup folder on my Dell Optiplex Every time I try I get the following error quot Windows cannot create a shortcut here Do you want to place the shortcut on the desktop instead quot No I do not want it on the desktop I want the program to start with Windows I tried dragging the shortcut create folder shortcuts in Unable shortcut" create to "cannot startup to the startup Unable to create shortcuts in startup folder "cannot create shortcut" folder tried copying and pasting the shortcut into the folder that only opens it with applications that are already in the startup folder I tried dragging the exe and selecting quot create shortcut here quot none of Unable to create shortcuts in startup folder "cannot create shortcut" which worked All results that I found on Google that people said that worked None Unable to create shortcuts in startup folder "cannot create shortcut" of them worked for me All the results were about 'all users startup' but I am only dealing with my own user and dragging from folder in start menu to the startup folder which none of the results covered Any ideas

A:Unable to create shortcuts in startup folder "cannot create shortcut"

Sylveon am not sure on this one but I know in 10 (I stand to be corrected) that one can add apps to run at start up - I don't know how to actually do because I always keep my start up items to the very minimum and have no need to do that. For the record the more you have running at start up will slow down the boot and do you really want thta??

Also I think when you load softwares a lot will ask if you want them to run at start up so without knowing what you want to add cannot comment on that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/398411-unable-create-shortcuts-startup-folder-cannot-create-shortcut.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi Everyone to post OS "IDE" from mode installation XP change How to "AHCI" Here I am going to descibe how to change Windows XP from using quot IDE quot to quot AHCI quot mode post OS installation If your looking to install an SSD into a Windows XP computer you will likely find these instructions invaluable Most XP computers due to their vintage are running in quot IDE quot mode and it turns out that SSDs perform best How to change XP from "IDE" to "AHCI" mode post OS installation when running in quot AHCI quot mode The root of what follows comes from these instructions so credit to those who deserve it Also thanks go out to Alexoiu who pointed me in the right direction here INSTRUCTIONS Download the appropriate SATA driver from your motherboard manufacturers site the file is typically quite small mine was under Mb Extract the file to How to change XP from "IDE" to "AHCI" mode post OS installation your hard drive Locate the ahcix sys file you may need to uncheck quot Hide extensions for known file types quot in order to see the correct file Copy ahcix sys Paste ahcix sys into System Drivers typcially C Windows System Drivers Download Add AHCI to XP Post Installation reg to a convenient location Double click on the Registry file to install it Click on quot Yes quot when the screen below is presented - Click on quot OK quot when the screen below is presented - Shutdown Turn the computer on whilst tapping on DEL F Relevant Key per motherboard to enter the BIOS settings Set the BIOS IDE mode to AHCI it was likely set to IDE or Legacy IDE Exit the BIOS saving changes this results in the computer rebooting again Once Windows XP starts you will be prompted to install drivers - a Check quot No not this time quot when the screen below is presented - b Click on quot Next quot c Uncheck quot Search removable media d Check quot Include this location in the search quot e Click on Browse f Navigate to the folder which contains ahcix sys Same file as Step g Click on OK h Click on Next i Follow any prompts to install that may be presented j Once the driver is installed successfully you will see the screen below or one that is similar depending on your chipset - k Click on quot Finish quot Reboot your computer one last time If you don't reboot straight away XP will often prompt you to reboot shortly after the ahcix sys driver is installed Congratulation you are now running in AHCI mode and can enjoy the full potential of your SSD Kind Regards Davo P S Paragon Migrate OS to SSD is excellent software for migrating from mechanical drives to SSDs I have personally used it on at least computers of those were Windows and one was Windows XP on all occasions the software has performed flawlessly I am not associated with Paragon but praise is deserved for this software package

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-change-xp-from-ide-to-ahci-mode-post-os-installation-705170.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi Everyone Here I post OS to "AHCI" installation "IDE" XP to How mode change from am going to descibe how How to change XP from "IDE" to "AHCI" mode post OS installation to change Windows XP from using quot IDE quot to quot AHCI quot mode post OS installation If your looking to install an SSD into a Windows XP computer you will likely find these instructions invaluable Most XP computers due to their vintage are running in quot IDE quot mode and it turns out that SSDs perform best when running in quot AHCI quot mode The root of what follows comes from these instructions so credit to those who deserve it Also thanks go out to Alexoiu who pointed me in the right direction here INSTRUCTIONS Download the appropriate SATA driver from your motherboard manufacturers site the file is typically quite small mine was under Mb Extract the file to your hard drive Locate the ahcix sys file you may need to uncheck quot Hide extensions for known file types quot in order to see the correct file Copy ahcix sys Paste ahcix sys into System Drivers typcially C Windows System Drivers Download Add AHCI to XP Post Installation reg to a convenient location Double click on the Registry file to install it Click on quot Yes quot when the screen below is presented - Click on quot OK quot when the screen below is presented - Shutdown Turn the computer on whilst tapping on DEL F Relevant Key per motherboard to enter the BIOS settings Set the BIOS IDE mode to AHCI it was likely set to IDE or Legacy IDE Exit the BIOS saving changes this results in the computer rebooting again Once Windows XP starts you will be prompted to install drivers - a Check quot No not this time quot when the screen below is presented - b Click on quot Next quot c Uncheck quot Search removable media d Check quot Include this location in the search quot e Click on Browse f Navigate to the folder which contains ahcix sys Same file as Step g Click on OK h Click on Next i Follow any prompts to install that may be presented j Once the driver is installed successfully you will see the screen below or one that is similar depending on your chipset - k Click on quot Finish quot Reboot your computer one last time If you don t reboot straight away XP will often prompt you to reboot shortly after the ahcix sys driver is installed Congratulation you are now running in AHCI mode and can enjoy the full potential of your SSD Kind Regards Davo P S Paragon Migrate OS to SSD is excellent software for migrating from mechanical drives to SSDs I have personally used it on at least computers of those were Windows and one was Windows XP on all occasions the software has performed flawlessly I am not associated with Paragon but praise is deserved for this software package nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-change-xp-from-ide-to-ahci-mode-post-os-installation.1106746/
Relevancy 82.56%

When a program crashes, generally i just press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, quickly locate it in processes, then ALT+E (end process) for an instant shutdown.

Both Vista and Win7 are capable of shutting down the application quickly as well, but they both try to find a solution before shutting down a program forcefully.

Is there a registry key that i can tweak that would make windows just forcefully shut down programs instead of trying to look for solutions online?

Thanks.

A:Skip "checking for solution"

Try this,
Click on the Action Center icon on your taskbar > Change Action Center settings > Problem reporting settings > Never check for solutions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/44485-skip-checking-solution.html
Relevancy 82.56%

I have a user that is having a similar problem to the one described in this thread: http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/593620-solved-excel-password-protected-files.html

The difference is that she is having this problem in Excel 2010. I tried navigating to File > Options > General and then removing her name from the 'Username' field, but after saving the workbook, closing Excel and then trying to open the workbook again, she is prompted by Office to enter her name and initials. Even if we delete her information from here and click 'ok' the password prompt comes up (as it should) but still shows '<file name>' is reserved by <user>...

The workbook was originally created as an Excel 97-2003 workbook and apparently has macros; I tried saving it as a .xlsx but had to save it as a macro-enabled .xlsm file. I then tried the same steps to remove her username, but this did not resolve the issue.

A:Excel 2010 password protected workbook "reserved by <username>"

Just a bump since there has been no response

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/excel-2010-password-protected-workbook-reserved-by-username.1053753/