Windows Support Forum

3 Sequential Boot Crashes, now have Windows installed on 3 HDDs

Q: 3 Sequential Boot Crashes, now have Windows installed on 3 HDDs

I had a perfect-running CyberpowerPC-built PC with a Gigabyte Z mobo one TB HDD and GB SSD using Intel Smart Response to cache plus an MSI GTX It was fast and perfect After years my PC suddenly began displaying intermittent graphics glitches while gaming I checked my Nvidia now Sequential have 3 Crashes, Windows HDDs 3 Boot installed on drivers and found that they were versions out of date despite having Windows Update set on automatic I d l the latest driver package but 3 Sequential Boot Crashes, now have Windows installed on 3 HDDs got an unrecoverable crash in mid-install the machine refused to boot and neither the W OEM disc nor the Recovery Disk that I had made could repair it Checking CMOS I discovered that the BIOS was not detecting my GTX OR my SSD I removed the GTX since it had apparently failed and tried to boot using on-board graphics but that also failed I now began to suspect the motherboard since memory tests ruled out any problem with my RAM DIMMs After fruitless and pointless online discussions with CyberpowerPC and Gigabyte I gave up and ordered a new HDD this time opting for a giant TB drive After installing it and installing Windows on it I was able to finally boot the machine My old TB WD HDD was now installed as a backup drive and I was able to copy all of my old programs data games etc from it to my new TB drive I reinstalled the GTX but with it installed neither it nor the internal graphics would work despite my setting BIOS options appropriately for each So I removed the GTX and was able to use internal graphics Now convinced I had a GFX card failure I got a new GTX and installed it but had the same issue no display from either the card nor the internal graphics with the card installed So I removed it and went back to internal graphics Since basically the only common denominators still left in the machine were the motherboard and the SSD I decided in desperation to replace them too Since the Gigabyte mobo is no longer in stock anywhere I got an ASRock Z board and installed it along with a GB SSD which I hoped to put back as cache for my HDDs After several BSOD-on-boot crashes which rescue disks and the Windows disk were unable to repair I was eventually able to install a NEW Windows- onto the SSD So now although I can boot from the SSD I now have installations of Windows and the only one that actually works is on my SSD thus preventing me from using it as a cache for my main HDD I haven't bothered installing the GTX yet One issue at a time please In addition to all this I have a MB drive D named quot System Reserved quot which does not correspond to any physical drive AFAIK I never had that before tonight when the only way to boot was to install Windows on my SSD So now none of my programs games etc work because they are all on drive E my TB former boot drive c and they are supposed to be on drive C I need to find some way to straighten this mess out without losing all my data Also as info I have never overclocked anything on this machine- everything is bone-stock Does anyone have any advice as to how I can fix this so I have ONE bootable installation of Windows on my TB HDD and use my SSD as intended i e as a cache to speed up my normal HDDs instead of as my new system drive with no room for anything else Thanks in advance Disk Management Screenie

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: 3 Sequential Boot Crashes, now have Windows installed on 3 HDDs

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: 3 Sequential Boot Crashes, now have Windows installed on 3 HDDs

Follow it please:
Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/351879-3-sequential-boot-crashes-now-have-windows-installed-3-hdds.html
Relevancy 71.81%

System Specs Motherboard ECS nForce SLIT-A v Motherboard NVIDIA Socket Serial ATA CPU Intel Pentium D GHz MB Cache FSB Socket Hard Disks Used Original and Current Western Digital Caviar SE GB MB HDDs System tried crashes, (working) boot and re-installs won't numerous - multiple SATA- Also Tried HITACHI TB SERIAL ATA HD MB SATA- G Seagate ST AS Barracuda Hard Drive - TB rpm MB SATA- G Graphics Video Card XFX GeForce GT RAM Ultra MB PC DDR MHz Memory x Power Supply Cooler Master -Watt ATX SATA Ready OS Windows System crashes, won't boot - tried multiple (working) HDDs and numerous re-installs XP SP Background A while back this machine was up and running with no problems until a nasty hijack put it System crashes, won't boot - tried multiple (working) HDDs and numerous re-installs out of commission It sat untouched for or months until I finally got a new System crashes, won't boot - tried multiple (working) HDDs and numerous re-installs hard drive to reinstall windows on I decided just to put the new hard drive Hitachi TB in there and use the old one Western Digital GB as extra storage on my other problem-free machine Problem I installed Windows as usual got it up and running applied some updates but not SP began installing my programs and CRASH The restart would take forever and it would either a hang on the Windows XP loading screen with the running blue bar underneath the logo or b give me a Disk read error before it ever got to a windows screen I reformatted reinstalled Windows and the exact same thing happened again Thinking it must be a bad drive I got an RMA for the drive returned it and tried a different brand Seagate TB I went through the process and the EXACT problem happened again I reformatted reinstalled AGAIN the same Convinced that it must be some other error I thought the machine simply couldn t do these bigger drives so I put the TB in my working machine tested it and it came out fine I then decided to restore the old working GB WD drive back into its original machine and start fresh with the drive that worked so well several months ago As you can probably guess all of the same problems happened again The exact same drive in the exact same system that worked a few months ago and only went down because of the hijack will not work now I should mention that with the Seagate and with the current drive the WD during the Formatting part of the Windows installation process the bar filled rapidly and said that the disc was damaged - but I know they are both fully functional Also with this most recent install attempt I encountered some blue screens and one time had a Disk boot failure Insert system disc error at start-up instead of the Disk Read Error Alt Control Delete to restart error from before What I ve Tried Repair installation from Recovery Console It got me into windows but simple programs were corrupt because C Mft is corrupt and unreadable Please run the Chkdsk utility I ve got a full thorough Chkdsk running right now but I am not hopeful this will fix it outright From what I have read repairing the installation is often a temporary fix I am at wit s end This is the first computer problem hijacks aside that I have not been able to fix myself via research Thanks for reading nbsp

A:System crashes, won't boot - tried multiple (working) HDDs and numerous re-installs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-crashes-wont-boot-tried-multiple-working-hdds-and-numerous-re-installs.842888/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi yall I just did a Fedora install on my laptop after having Windows x Ultimate installed and now right after I choose the Windows boot option in Grub and choose the Windows option from the Windows bootloader as the animated Windows logo is loading I will get a Blue Screen Of Death I cannot get an error code because it comes and goes too quickly and it reboots I've tried running startup repair and that does nothing And when I try system it is only listing restore options from October of and none that are more recent which I know they had the last time I was able to boot into Windows long story but the other night I deleted Ubuntu and I wasn't able to boot into anything for a couple of days until I was able to make a bootable USB Drive to install Fedora Choices after OS Fedora Installed Windows Boot Crashes now today on a friends computer So what I'm wondering is there a way I can create a bootable USB Drive in Fedora to either reinstall Windows or to create a bootable USB Windows Repair Drive I would appreciate any help with this I hope I can just run a repair USB Drive and not have to wipe my whole Windows Partiton b c there is a lot of stuff on there that I really do need Please help

A:Installed Fedora now Windows Crashes after OS Boot Choices

Well how important is fedora in this equation?
Removing it and grub could conceivably fix the problem.
Remove Grub - Restore Windows 7
That method requires a windows 7 dvd, ...as will most fixes anyone is going to come up with for this most likely.

Other option is you can read/write/copy ntfs file (windows files) with fedora with a few tweaks.
Which might be what you want to start with if saving data is priority.
I'm assuming fedora actually works though as you didn't say otherwise.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/273465-installed-fedora-now-windows-crashes-after-os-boot-choices.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Greetings. My pc running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit will not boot to the desktop if I have Malware Bytes Anti-Malware or SuperAntiSpyware installed. It boots fine to safe mode. I since removed the two programs, but I think I must have an infection. I also had some internet connection problems that went away after installing those two programs. Now that I removed them, I'd like to know if anyone here would mind taking a look at my logs and see if you can determine whether or not my pc is infected. Please advise me what you need me to do. I already ran both of those malware/spyware scans which come up with nothing. I also ran the ESET online scan from safe mode, and it came up with nothing. Lastly, I did a disc check with no issues. Thanks in advance.

A:Infected? Windows crashes on boot if anti-malware software is installed.

Hello, so with thise NOT installed there are no crashes?How is the connection now. If all the logs were clean we won't review them.Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it. Checkmark the following checkboxes: Flush DNS Report IE Proxy Settings Reset IE Proxy Settings Report FF Proxy Settings Reset FF Proxy Settings List content of Hosts List IP configuration List Winsock Entries List last 10 Event Viewer log List Installed Programs List Users, Partitions and Memory size.Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run. Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.Please download TDSSKiller.zip and and extract it.Run TDSSKiller.exe. Click on Change Parameters Put a check in the box of Detect TDLFS file system Click Start scan.When it is finished the utility outputs a list of detected objects with description.
The utility automatically selects an action (Cure or Delete) for malicious objects.
The utility prompts the user to select an action to apply to suspicious objects (Skip, by default). Let the options as it is and click ContinueLet reboot if needed and tell me if the tool needed a reboot.Click on Report and post the contents of the text file that will open.

Note: By default, the utility outputs the log into system disk (it is usually the disk with installed operating system, C:\) root folder. The Log has a name like: TDSSKiller.Version_Date_Time_log.txt.Please download aswMBR ( 511KB ) to your desktop.Double click the aswMBR.exe icon to run itClick the Scan button to start the scanOn completion of the scan, click the save log button, save it to your desktop and post it in your next reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/470955/infected-windows-crashes-on-boot-if-anti-malware-software-is-installed/
Relevancy 66.22%

System Specs Motherboard - won't on boot multiple after System multiple re-installs HDDs, (working) Crashes, ECS nForce SLIT-A v Motherboard NVIDIA Socket Serial ATA CPU Intel Pentium D GHz MB Cache FSB Socket Hard Disks Used Original and Current System Crashes, won't boot - on multiple (working) HDDs, after multiple re-installs Western Digital Caviar SE GB MB SATA- Also Tried HITACHI TB SERIAL ATA HD MB SATA- G Seagate ST AS Barracuda Hard Drive - TB rpm MB SATA- G Graphics Video Card XFX GeForce GT RAM Ultra MB PC DDR MHz Memory x System Crashes, won't boot - on multiple (working) HDDs, after multiple re-installs Power Supply Cooler Master -Watt ATX SATA Ready OS Windows XP SP Background A while back this machine was up and running with no problems until a nasty hijack put it out of commission It sat untouched for or months until I finally got a new hard drive to reinstall windows on I decided just to put the new hard drive Hitachi TB in there and use the old one Western Digital GB as extra storage on my other problem-free machine Problem I installed Windows as usual got it up and running applied some updates but not SP began installing my programs and CRASH The restart would take forever and it would either a hang on the Windows XP loading screen with the running blue bar underneath the logo or b give me a Disk read error before it ever got to a windows screen I reformatted reinstalled Windows and the exact same thing happened again Thinking it must be a bad drive I got an RMA for the drive returned it and tried a different brand Seagate TB I went through the process and the EXACT problem happened again I reformatted reinstalled AGAIN the same Convinced that it must be some other error I thought the machine simply couldn't do these bigger drives so I put the TB in my working machine tested it and it came out fine I then decided to restore the old working GB WD drive back into its original machine and start fresh with the drive that worked so well several months ago As you can probably guess all of the same problems happened again The exact same drive in the exact same system that worked a few months ago and only went down because of the hijack will not work now I should mention that with the Seagate and with the current drive the WD during the Formatting part of the Windows installation process the bar filled rapidly and said that the disc was damaged - but I know they are both fully functional Also with this most recent install attempt I encountered some blue screens and one time had a Disk boot failure Insert system disc error at start-up instead of the Disk Read Error Alt Control Delete to restart error from before What I've Tried Repair installation from Recovery Console It got me into windows but simple programs were corrupt because C Mft is corrupt and unreadable Please run the Chkdsk utility I've got a full thorough Chkdsk running right now but I am not hopeful this will fix it outright From what I have read repairing the installation is often a temporary fix I am at wit's end This is the first computer problem hijacks aside that I have not been able to fix myself via research Thanks for reading

A:System Crashes, won't boot - on multiple (working) HDDs, after multiple re-installs

Hello thereisnoart,

you may have to wipe the hard drive with a 3rd party program like (KIllDisk

the reason for this is hijacker programs can be hard writen to the drive so when you do a simple formate it bleed thru and you jacked again

this is the same as for some virus's

follow the link

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

all the instruction on use and making the bootable cd are in the program of at the site

this will zero out the drives and make them like new

then reinstall

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/system-crashes-wont-boot-on-multiple-working-hdds-after-multiple-re-installs-394578.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I plan to set up a partition on my main "C" HDD using GParted & install Windows 7 beta so I can dual boot Windows 7 & XP. I happen to have a 2nd "D" HDD on my computer. If I instead install Windows 7 on the 2nd "D" HDD, will I be able to then dual boot with XP on "C" and Windows 7 on "D", or is it necessary for all operating systems be on the same HDD in order to be presented with the dual boot option at bootup?

A:Dual Boot Windows 7 & XP With 2 HDDs

Not a problem. As long as xp is installed first, just go ahead and install the windows 7 beta on the second hard drive. The windows 7 bootloader will take care of all those pesky details for you. When you boot up it will default to win7, if you want to load xp you'll have to choose "older Microsoft operating system" and btw, whichever OS you do load will show as the c: drive and the other as a data drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dual-boot-windows-7-and-xp-with-2-hdds-335292.html
Relevancy 61.06%

For some reason I am stuck with a win x installation on a GIGABYTE low price MOBO running a core i - This installation of windows sits on a GB Western Digital win (Dual separate Two HDDs x64 7 windows 7) boot installations on x64 through SATA in AHCI mode Recently I added a GB SSD drive through SATA inadvertently configured as IDE in BIOS peripherals I had unplugged Two x64 windows 7 installations on separate HDDs (Dual boot x64 win 7) the first HDD GB Western Digital and proceeded with installing a fresh x win on the SSD drive using a bootable USB flash Everything went fine and I installed all the drivers and the system looked Two x64 windows 7 installations on separate HDDs (Dual boot x64 win 7) perfectly normal through multiple restarts But with both the HDD and the SSD drive plugged in none of the Win installations would ever boot Even the bootable USB flash doesn t boot I was thinking to myself I could enter the boot priority menu at startup and simply choose which HDD to boot from but now I think this is laughable at best I tried several settings with bios and boot priority and SATA configuration and every time I do this the pc fails in yet another spectacular way blue screen frozen Windows Logo black screen Windows recovery I can still boot either Windows installations by unplugging the other hard drive but this is not what I was looking for Is there any easy way around this I was thinking maybe installing some boot manager or maybe reinstalling the second Win could help Please notice that I need to have both hard drives plugged in at any time so that I could share files between the two OS One thing that I particularly want to avoid is messing with the installation of the first OS sitting on the GB WD HDD

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/395495-two-x64-windows-7-installations-separate-hdds-dual-boot-x64-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi I currently have Vista home premium installed on a partitioned SATA hard drive I want to install HDDs & Vista 7 boot Windows dual off 2 separate Windows H P on a new SATA hard drive that I want to partition as well Until I have a chance to move my files amp programs across to the new HD and dual boot Vista & Windows 7 off 2 separate HDDs for the added security of knowing I have an existing bootable HD I want to be able to boot off either the old Vista HD or W on the new HD In order to have an easy W install it s been suggested that I disconnect the old amp connect up the new HD before booting from the W installation CD After W has been installed I would then connect the old HD as well for the next reboot Is this good advice With SATA HDs I understand there is no master slave configuration to be set up Will I be able to dual boot either during the POST BIOS procedure or can I install a utility like EasyBCD on the new HD or both HDs Does EasyBCD then ask you at startup time to specify which OS you want to boot from I m a dual boot Vista & Windows 7 off 2 separate HDDs somewhat unclear on dual boot Vista & Windows 7 off 2 separate HDDs a few things so would appreciate any advice nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-vista-windows-7-off-2-separate-hdds.970163/
Relevancy 60.63%

I have one HDD C: with Win7 64bit and another HDD from my previous dual boot PC with two partitions C: and E:, both winX pro.

How is it possible to combine both HDDs, creating a multi boot system having as C: my Win7 drive?

any advise would be highly appreciated!!!

A:Combine both HDDs creating multi boot system with C: as Windows 7?

If you windows 7 is the bootable disk, you can add the other disk's installed OS's to the boot menu. Using EasyBCD from NeoSmart Technologies you can alter the Windows 7 boot menu. Keep in mind that you can only chain from Win7/Vista (new boot loader) to XP and not the other way around. What that means is you can't add win7/vista to the XP boot menu (boot.ini).

This will not complicate your setup - you will be able to separate the drives and they will work independently. The only thing that will not work is when you boot with the Win7 drive, the XP menu options will not work, obviously, because the XP disk has been taken out.

In short: Add XP boot choices using EasyBCD to the Win7 boot menu. Win7 must be the bootable drive.

This tutorial should give you more details - .3 seconds on google... and its from this forum.
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/109076-combine-both-hdds-creating-multi-boot-system-c-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hello A couple of months back I got a new HDD It cloned my old drive boot drive with Win to my new HDD 7 have both two Booting with installed HDDs, Win booted into Windows and reactivated Booting with two HDDs, both have Win 7 installed it I have since left the old HDD in the PC but never plugged it back in Now I want to reformat my old HDD into a data drive which still has my Win install from months back I figured I would simply plug it in put it last in the BIOS boot priority boot into Win with my current HDD and then format the old drive from within Win Booting with two HDDs, both have Win 7 installed However some people seem to indicate that this might cause issues and the wrong drive the old one may get booted into regardless of the BIOS settings which can cause issues with my other drive So they suggested booting into my current drive and then hot plugging in the old drive and then do the format Is such a problem actually common Or am I rather safe with just connecting both Booting with two HDDs, both have Win 7 installed up front and relying on the BIOS to get it right

A:Booting with two HDDs, both have Win 7 installed

If you had the old drive unplugged during install then the System Active flags should be on the new WIn7 or its boot partition signifying it is booting itself.

Therefore all you need to do is plug back in the old drive, after removing everything you want, wipe it with Diskpart Clean Command to get it ready to repartition in Disk Mgmt.

Just make sure the new HD remains set first to boot in BIOS setup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/317908-booting-two-hdds-both-have-win-7-installed.html
Relevancy 59.77%

First off, i am a tad computer illiterate. I have a Gateway gaming desktop computer model fx6831.

For about three weeks now, my computer has been having this issue. I would play a game, the screen would freeze with colors going all meshed (horizontal color lines) and need to restart. Once restarted, i get the reboot and select proper boot device repeating message. Using a windows 7 re-installation cd i have fixed this problem 3 times; my pc works for a few days then crashes again. Last time it restarted while idle next to me (no gameplay), and i thought i saw a blue screen (may have been BSOD) before restart. I have done a couple virus scans (norton and malwarebytes) but nothing. If it is a virus it may be more deeply embedded. Are there any possible causes or fixes to this ongoing problem?

A:Repeated system crashes, boot mgr missing no OS installed.

First we need to know the BSOD stuff. So disable the automatic restart on system failure. How To Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows 7

What is the exact error message if it doesn't boot?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/348310-repeated-system-crashes-boot-mgr-missing-no-os-installed.html
Relevancy 59.34%

i put together a system the other day after my old one totally pooped out on me. i installed the hard drive from my old system into the new one as a second hard drive, and installed xp pro onto a different hard drive (primary master) in the new system.
how can i use all my old programs that are installed on the old hard drive without confusing the heck out of xp? many of the applications on the old hdd are confused when i run them, i am guessing because when they reference files in locations where they think they should be, but they are not finding them....???
i don't even have enough room on the primary master drive to install all the programs, its a very small drive. nor do i have enough room to fit xp onto the second hard drive...
(the first is 2.4 gigs, and the second is 6 gigs).

TIA for any help.

A:xp installed on 2 hdds, how do i get programs to work from a secondary hdd?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-installed-on-2-hdds-how-do-i-get-programs-to-work-from-a-secondary-hdd.379486/
Relevancy 59.34%

Just what the title says, how do I set up dual booting between Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and Windows XP MCE 32 bit, with both OSes already installed on two separate HDDs. It has been suggested that I use EasyBCD to add the XP MCE entries to the Windows 7 boot menu. It has also been suggested that when I want to boot into the XP MCE drive, that I change the boot order in the BIOS.

Would this still screw up the MBR for Windows 7?

A:Dual Booting Win7 HP 64 Bit and XP MCE - Two HDDs, Both OS Installed

Yes you can and no it won`t.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/233160-dual-booting-win7-hp-64-bit-xp-mce-two-hdds-both-os-installed.html
Relevancy 58.91%

-Repost due to baseless pointless and be frequently to and Crashes HDDs need remounted counter productive moderation- As title Two SATA HDDs Will post all relevent information upon request as I can find I ve had Crashes and HDDs need to be remounted frequently a ty dynex wireless G card for a while and it was the cause of completely random IRQ NOT LESS THAN or similar BSODs for the longest time but it never seemed to cause any problem I ve since reinstalled it so that it no long has any IRQ conflicts However recently I had to install my OS to a different HD just to boot as the primary installation would hang within minutes Prior to this however this secondary now master drive started not appearing on the POST and once disappeared from the system while engaged This was only remedied by quot remounting quot the drive by unplugging and repluggin the SATA cable while powered off I had to change which hard drive I was using for entirely legitimate and legal reasons editted to preempt low IQ With the previous issues there wuold be some corruption that would necessitate crashes but I could run chkdsk on them while normally running and it would fix them either via console orthe XP chkdsk utility but now on this OS I m being forced to use the repair console to run chkdsk which refuses to run without the force check p under which it always finds errors but cannot run the normal dos chkdsk so I must run a chkdsk r which takes at least hours to complete as the quot pre-boot quot chkdsk that it schedules NEVER finds or fixes ANYTHING However the bigger issue here is that now every single time the computer reaches the POST state it hangs for a bit while detecting all physical drives and fails to find any as before To fix this I have to unplug them replug power on power off unplug replug and then it finds them In the last week this has occured without variance every single time the computer POSTs after a successful POST it fails to find any HDDs A previous issue that I fixed was tray error s quot delayed system even write quot or something of the nature that would pop up after a hang and then would be followed by a crash within a few minutes Also previously when the drive would crash it did this a moment ago which is why I thought of it the audio would stutter noticably but only slightly while playing a game which would be followed in the near future by a crash normally within minutes Side note though it doesn t happen always sometimes it ll hang on OS boot and then bluescreen with an error message about the bootdevice However this normally requires a recovery chkdsk r and then it wont occur except after multiple crashes Anyone have anything for me The system is generally entirely stable but this has gone from mild inconvenience to really annoying nbsp

A:Crashes and HDDs need to be remounted frequently

Not sure how you think this changes anything. It is still illegal to have more than one installation of the same XP on a single machine, and you have already stated that you were using a pirated version.

Your attitude is not likely to win you any points, either.

You should try a legal version of XP.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/crashes-and-hdds-need-to-be-remounted-frequently.819893/
Relevancy 58.91%

As title Two SATA to HDDs off after and power every be Crashes remounted need HDDs Will post all relevent Crashes and HDDs need to be remounted after every power off information upon request as I can find I ve had a ty dynex wireless G card for a while and it was Crashes and HDDs need to be remounted after every power off the cause of completely random IRQ NOT LESS THAN or similar BSODs for the longest time but it never seemed to cause any problem I ve since reinstalled it so that it no long has any IRQ conflicts However recently I had to install my OS to a different HD just to boot as the primary installation would hang within minutes Prior to this however this secondary now master drive started not appearing on the POST and once disappeared from the system while engaged This was only remedied by quot remounting quot the drive by unplugging and repluggin the SATA cable while powered off I had to pirate Windows XP Black OS because the CD used for install was loned from a school a year ago and the key would not be accepted by any other version downloadable so I had to switch drives or abolish GB of data may end up switching back and sending all the data from this drive to the other as a last resort With the previous issues there wuold be some corruption that would necessitate crashes but I could run chkdsk on them while normally running and it would fix them either via console orthe XP chkdsk utility but now on this OS I m being forced to use the repair console to run chkdsk which refuses to run without the force check p under which it always finds errors but cannot run the normal dos chkdsk so I must run a chkdsk r which takes at least hours to complete as the quot pre-boot quot chkdsk that it schedules NEVER finds or fixes ANYTHING However the bigger issue here is that now every single time the computer reaches the POST state it hangs for a bit while detecting all physical drives and fails to find any as before To fix this I have to unplug them replug power on power off unplug replug and then it finds them In the last week this has occured without variance every single time the computer POSTs after a successful POST it fails to find any HDDs A previous issue that I fixed was tray error s quot delayed system even write quot or something of the nature that would pop up after a hang and then would be followed by a crash within a few minutes Also previously when the drive would crash it did this a moment ago which is why I thought of it the audio would stutter noticably but only slightly while playing a game which would be followed in the near future by a crash normally within minutes Side note though it doesn t happen always sometimes it ll hang on OS boot and then bluescreen with an error message about the bootdevice However this normally requires a recovery chkdsk r and then it wont occur except after multiple crashes Anyone have anything for me The system is generally entirely stable but this has gone from mild inconvenience to really annoying nbsp

A:Crashes and HDDs need to be remounted after every power off

Hi Prinny

Sorry, we cannot assist with pirated software.
# Other Illegal Activities - As you might expect, we don't want anything illegal going on here. Users cannot post hacks, cracks, pirated software, or anything of the like. Furthermore, we do not allow instructions on how to complete illegal activities, such as pirating. Please don't ask for advice on using illegal software, as it will be removed.Click to expand...

Please read the Forum Rules before posting again.

Closing thread.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/crashes-and-hdds-need-to-be-remounted-after-every-power-off.819876/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello I'm trying to convert back to using just Win after having a successful dual to - & 7 Vista64 boot convert single HDDs 2 How Win dual to from boot boot setup for a few years now However the multiple runs of the Win startup repair have not moved the system files to my Win HDD Here is the data from the BCDEDIT command Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Windows system gt bcdedit Windows Boot Manager -------------------- identifier bootmgr How to convert from dual boot to single boot 2 HDDs - Win 7 & Vista64 device partition D path bootmgr How to convert from dual boot to single boot 2 HDDs - Win 7 & Vista64 description Windows Boot Manager locale en-US inherit globalsettings default current resumeobject dc - b- e - f f-fc c b de displayorder current ee a a - e - dd- -ce fc eea dc c- b- e - f f-fc c b de toolsdisplayorder memdiag timeout Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier current device partition C path Windows system winload exe description Windows locale en-US inherit bootloadersettings recoverysequence dc a- b- e - f f-fc c b de recoveryenabled Yes osdevice partition C systemroot Windows resumeobject dc - b- e - f f-fc c b de nx OptIn Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier ee a a - e - dd- -ce fc eea device partition D path Windows system winload exe description Microsoft Windows Vista locale en-US inherit bootloadersettings osdevice partition D systemroot Windows resumeobject ee a a - e - dd- -ce fc eea nx OptIn Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier dc c- b- e - f f-fc c b de device partition E path Windows system winload exe description Windows Vista TM Home Premium recovered locale en-US osdevice partition E systemroot Windows C Windows system gt I also would like to remove the bootup menu so the system boots straight into Win instead of waiting on a selection I suspect this will be remedied once I get the system files moved to the Win drive but wanted to note that request as well Thanks in advance for your help

A:How to convert from dual boot to single boot 2 HDDs - Win 7 & Vista64

Post back a screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

If Primary partitions you should be able to move the Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD - Windows 7 Forums. Make sure to mark C:Win7 Active.

If the OS you want to delete is on the left then you can use Partition Wizard to Resize Partition - Video Help.

Or equalize space between all partitions and unallocated space whether adjacent or not using How to extend partition easily with Partition Wizard - video help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/337245-how-convert-dual-boot-single-boot-2-hdds-win-7-vista64.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Ok, am not that smart when it comes to computers, but I installed Windows 7 32bit on my Acer laptop, which is only about a year old. It runs fine for about two days, and then.... IT CRASHES! It starts by running EXTREMELY slow, and then I restart it, and it wants to do a startup repair, and the startup repair does not fix it. I had some comp.geeks help me, and they formatted my hard drive, and I reinstalled Windows, and IT CRASHED AGAIN!
Now my laptop had Windows Vista to start with, then I put Ubuntu on it, and hated it. So I bought the fresh install disk from the store. SO PLEASE HELP!

A:I Installed Windows 7, and then... it crashes!

Hi Kyle. Welcome to SF.

First, please post your detailed System Specs found in your lower left corner.

Next, please follow these instructions:

http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...tructions.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/113237-i-installed-windows-7-then-crashes.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Been googling around for info and haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what makes a enterprise drive more reliable than consumer drives.

I understand consumer demand for bigger drives at lower cost so manufacturers have to cut corners somewhere along the line. What/Where exactly are they cutting and by now much?

A:What components make enterprise HDDs more reliable than consumer HDDs?

Interesting question. This link gives some good info

Quote:
Hard drives are designed with a wide variety of features that can impact data integrity and
system uptime. Some hard drive manufactures may differentiate enterprise from desktop drives
by not testing certain enterprise-class features, validate the drives with different test criteria, or
disable enterprise-class features on a desktop class hard drives so they can market and price
them accordingly. Other manufacturers have different architectures and designs for the two
drive classes. It can be difficult to get detailed information and specifications on different drive
modes.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/290897-what-components-make-enterprise-hdds-more-reliable-than-consumer-hdds.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi all,

I have a problem is with a reasonably new core i5 computer running windows 7

Crashes started a few weeks ago. Nothing had changed - no new hardware or software installed. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to the crashes - I can be doing anything when it happens

Could not work out what was causing problem so I re-installed Windows 7 home premium 64 and ran updates, applied service packs and installed drivers.

Crashes continued (no BSOD - just crash and minidumps)

I have also replaced power supply to no avail

Have run memtest 68+ for 6 full passes and no errors.

Would be very grateful to get on the right track with this - sending me around the bend.

Cheers for any help

A:Seemingly random crashes - re-installed windows 7

Welcome to SevenForums.

Can you tell us how the *desktop work in safe mode?

I have checked your dumps and all come with different bug checks but nothing specific. One of the dumps usual causes:

Quote:
STOP 0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Usual causes: Memory corruption, Hardware (memory in particular), Overclocking failure, Installing a faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or a failure after installing it, 3rd party firewall, Device drivers, SCSI/network/BIOS updates needed, Improperly seated cards, Incompatible storage devices, Overclocking, Virus scanner, Backup tool, Bad motherboard, Missing Service Pack

Your best shot would be to take it back to the vendor/store you got it from, check and see what they have to say.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/264139-seemingly-random-crashes-re-installed-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi and thanks too all of you who help. I have installed windows 7 enterprise 64 three times now. Each time it works fine at first then when I install updates/drivers for my video card ect it gets so slow I cannot even perform a simple click on a desktop icon. I have also had corrupt registry errors come up when I boot in safe mode

Problem event name:StartupRepairOffline
Problemsignature01: 6.1.7600.16385
02: 6.1.7600.16385
03: unknown
04: -1
05: AutofAILOVER
06: 3
07: cORRUPT REGISTRY
osVERSION: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

dont know if it a driver issue, hardware issue or Windows 7 just does not like me.

ASUS m3n78-vm Motherboard
AMD x2 5050e 2.6 gig
4gb ddr2 patriot 6400 1066mh
sapphire radeon hd5070
Hitachi sata 500gb hdd
antec earthwatts 650w
coolmaster case
Sony bluray drive

got the system a couple of weeks ago no OS

A:Windows 7 slow crashes installed 3 times now

Have you been to the asus site and checked to see if any drivers need updating?
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download M3N78-VM
There are chipset drivers there - with intel they generally recommend installing them first up before any other drivers 2nd up video drivers then sound and then any other - probably be the same with nforce - try the chipset drivers and see if that ,makes a difference also all your relevant drivers for w7 64 bit are there.

You might find something in the below search also type some words in the search box here at this forum, something may come up similar, or the same as your problem.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...&aqi=&aql=&oq=

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/157931-windows-7-slow-crashes-installed-3-times-now.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Ok guys, here's the deal.
I bought the Windows 7, clean install disk, then like 2, or three days later, it freaking crashes.
Here's the 'symptoms':
1: The windows themselves start to lag.
2: The tool bar will freeze.
3: Sometimes; it won't shut off.
4: I try to boot and it says "Start startup repair, and won't boot into Windows.
I run the startup repair, and it fixes absolutely NOTHING! I had even called Microsoft, and was on the phone with them for like 2 hours.
All these people tell me to update drivers, but I downloaded a Windows 7 Compatibility program FROM Microsoft and it said that my laptop was ok. PLEASE HELP! (BTW all this other stuff about Reg Cleaners, etc, dnt work, so PLEASE don't tell me that.)

A:I Installed Windows 7, then for some reason it just randomly crashes.

Upload the dumps
http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...tructions.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/115073-i-installed-windows-7-then-some-reason-just-randomly-crashes.html
Relevancy 54.18%

In a nutshell I had a PC with a Windows install for the last two 7 installed freshly Windows on crashes Random years that had a motherboard go bad I ended up buying a Tigerdirect combo Random crashes on freshly installed Windows 7 hardware specifics below and just decided to reuse the case with my original install drive After taking some time to retune itself to new drivers the computer kept freezing at random times In some other forums on this site I thought it driver related even though I had updated everything including new MB bios To make things easier I installed a new GB SSD drive and put in a fresh install of Windows Have updated everything to the nines and avoided adding any Random crashes on freshly installed Windows 7 additional software until I had data and stuff organized from my previous install However the randome gremlin seems to have come back at random times I've tried setting memory frequency from auto to the speed in the BIOS but found this thread and Random crashes on freshly installed Windows 7 have attached the BSOD zip file for some help Any thoughts on what is the issue It may be a hardware problem but I have run memtest on the memory and just can't seem to find the culprit Specs MB MSI H M-P Processor Intel Core i - Memory Patriot GB DDR Windows Professional bit Thanks

A:Random crashes on freshly installed Windows 7

Still ongoing. Latest dmp file. Any thoughts?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/196151-random-crashes-freshly-installed-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 54.18%

ho hum hum ho back again need both two hdds boot to i finally got new system up and running clean install of xp got two hdds my old gig ide and my new gig sata everythings good exept for one problem sometime during install i think it erased everything off my old gig ide i was only installing to my sata but now ive got some files on the ide boot ini io sys msdos sys config sys ntdetect com ntldr autoexec dat and the folders recycler and system volume information on the sata ive got all the boot files as far as i can tell and the windows folder is on there to when i tell my system to boot from the sata it gives me that it cant saying that hal dll is missing or corrupt the only way i can boot up is to tell it to boot from the ide which then it works fine this is really annoying me cause i wanted to get old files off the ide then install ubuntu to it so if anyone can fix this just the boot thing not the file recovery part id be really happy thanks in advance p s if it helps any heres whats in the boot ini on my sata its same for the ide boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition quot noexecute optin fastdetect usepmtimer two hdds need both to boot

A:two hdds need both to boot

Ahh I have had this issue before, windows xp most likely installed the windows files on the 500 GB drive and the Boot files on the 80GB drive. Really the only thing that I can think of to fix it would be to reinstall windows xp with your 80GB drive unplugged so that there is no chance any thing will be installed on it. That is about the only thing that I can think of for the moment. Your files will hopefully still be on the 80GB drive.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/363383/two-hdds-need-both-to-boot/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi there I am writing on behalf of my father who has run into an enormous amount installed. updates/service packs Windows Crashes after 7 of trouble upgrading my computer He has recently upgraded the motherboard and CPU of my computer to the specs provided in my profile and since doing so has been unable to install update windows The computer operated just fine until we replaced the old processor and mobo The initial new installation of the OS goes swimmingly but then as soon as the service packs begin downloading and configuring - the computer will do the standard repeated restarts Windows 7 Crashes after updates/service packs installed. and goes through the configuration procedure then will simply not boot at all after Windows Repair does nothing and the only option is to reinstall the OS from the BIOS to simply replicate the exact same issue He is at a total loss of what to do We have tried using different SATA cables installing to different hard drives we have done memtests to check the RAM clean installs He'll have tried a fair few things I have no idea about and Windows 7 Crashes after updates/service packs installed. cannot list here - he is fairly computer literate and has spent the entire weekend failing to fix this issue The computer operates normally with just service pack installed but then this issue arises with one of the subsequent updates to a fairly consistent fault every time What could the problem be What could fix it Thanks a lot for any help this is mind boggling stuff - i'd never believed replacing a bloody processor and mobo could result in such a seemingly incurable problem Windows 7 Crashes after updates/service packs installed. Ashley X

A:Windows 7 Crashes after updates/service packs installed.

Unplug all other HD's and peripherals,

Boot into BIOS setup, reset to defaults, save changes. (If an EFI BIOS you'll need to decide if you want UEFI BIOS vs. Legacy BIOS. If UEFI follow these special steps for Install, otherwise enable Legacy BIOS or Compatibility Support Module to proceed with normal install.) Set DVD drive first to boot, HD second, set SATA controller to AHCI, Save changes and Exit.

Then boot into Windows 7 installer DVD or flash stick burned or written using tool and latest ISO for your licensed OS version with SP1 here.

At first installer screen Press Shift + F10, or enter System Recovery Options to open a Command Box, type:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 0 (after confirming Windows 7 target HD #)
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY SIZE=102400 (for 100gb partition, adjust as desired)
FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="WINDOWS 7"
ACTIVE
EXIT
EXIT

Next click Install Now, then Custom install to Clean Install Windows 7 to the partition you created. If it fails then report back at which step and the verbatim error message.

In addition read over these steps to understand the tools and methods which work best to get and maintain a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. The steps are the same for retail.

After install you can adjust partition size or Create new partitions for data, etc. in Disk Mgmt. You are creating the partition here for the purpose of wiping the HD and marking Active which overcomes certain install failures.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/293262-windows-7-crashes-after-updates-service-packs-installed.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello, I'm running Windows 7 on a desktop, I got 2 HDDs. Recently windows 7 won't let me boot the second one as primary, it either let's me go to that system recovery function OR boot up normaly (which only restarts the machine right before it's done).

I've tried the system recovery, I couldn't find any fixable problems and I ran that memory diagnose thing that didn't turn up anything. Though I can access the HDD's files using the other one as primary, I just can't fix it!

Relevancy 53.32%

My girlfriend s computer stopped working recently which isn t all that unusual It no longer boots up from either HDD one IDE one SATA both with some version of WinXP Both give errors along the lines of quot disk read error quot to from unable boot HDDs though they re both different in wording I did all the basic things I could think of I made sure everything was plugged in right that s usually her problem tested the power supply tried switching IDE SATA channels and tried booting with each memory module one at a time She recently bought a new unable to boot from HDDs antec sonata unable to boot from HDDs and moved all her parts into the new case herself this sounded like trouble to me but the system booted up once or twice i forget in the new case without issue then one night it stopped booting at least that s the story she gives me I was able to boot into the WinXP installation menu from the WinXP CD she has WinXP installed on both her IDE and SATA drives but only uses the version on the SATA drive she now tells me that the verson on the IDE drive has been fuxxored for a while but i m not so sure her system Athlon XP -bit mobo is a k n Delta L from MSI x DDR all identical all slots filled AGP Radeon Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD gb WinXP installed the one she usually uses Maxtor DiamondMax Plus gb WinXP installed but broken a dvd-rom drive a cd-rw drive added by me for testing my old and i do mean old quot floppy drive i m trying to get my hands on a spare HDD to see if it ll boot from there but she really wants to not lose her old installation change is scary but more to the point she probably lost the key at any rate i m stumped this time any ideas would be appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 53.32%

hey everybody, i have an odd 5900 RPM HDD that i need to swap out. i'm going to swap it out mainly because it's better suited for storage/backup rather than being my main HDD for usage/boot-up.

i don't want to reinstall Win7 (7100) and i want to copy everything from HDD "a" to HDD "b". any ideas/suggestions/comments?

A:how to swap boot HDDs

Quote: Originally Posted by BigBrother

hey everybody, i have an odd 5900 RPM HDD that i need to swap out. i'm going to swap it out mainly because it's better suited for storage/backup rather than being my main HDD for usage/boot-up.

i don't want to reinstall Win7 (7100) and i want to copy everything from HDD "a" to HDD "b". any ideas/suggestions/comments?

BB

Hi and welcome to seven forums

You can easily make a clone of your HD by using a third party app like Acronis true image

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/21771-how-swap-boot-hdds.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I have a small media server It's a bunch of drives in a full size tower PC each formatted individually i e no RAID HELP HDDs HDDs Many Up Several - Backing Smaller to Large - NTFS Right now it's drives either TB or TB I have a bunch of smaller TB and TB drives that I'm not using HELP - Backing Up Several Large HDDs to Many Smaller HDDs and would like to use to have a backup of the files spread across the larger drives Anyone have a good idea of how to do this Ideally I would like a solution like in the good old CD DVD backup days where you can tell a backup app to back the whole lot onto CDs and it will span across however many DVDs you need But for hard drives It will copy all it can to the first hard drive until it's full then it will ask me to mount a new hard drive and it will pick up where it left off Nobody seems to make such a program Alternately I can just back up as much as I can to each drive and then pick up where I left off on the next backup drive But how do I figure out in Windows how many folders I can copy before I try to copy too much for the target drive Is there a backup utility for Windows like the OS X app Carbon Copy Cloner that tallies the selected backup folders prior to copying them Thanks for any advice or thoughts S

A:HELP - Backing Up Several Large HDDs to Many Smaller HDDs

There is no easy 1-click option to do this.

One possibility is to setup the smaller disks as a JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) if the BIOS allows that, and the JBOB is sufficiently large to cater for your needs.

An alternative is write a .bat to use robocopy to copy selected data to a selected spare disk. You will, however, need calculate capacity beforehand.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/386172-help-backing-up-several-large-hdds-many-smaller-hdds.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hey guys I am boot Windows Windows dual 8 Black up. 8 installed, Screen! boot won't having an issue when installing the consumer preview So I downloaded the W iso off of Microsoft's site I burned it to a Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! DVD with GB free of storage I even bought a new set of DVDs Anyways I downloaded the iso I downloaded the USB DVD download tool there I burned my iso to the DVD So I then create a partition on my computer I gave the new partition GB of storage I rebooted my computer pressed F and access the burned DVD So I click custom installation and I install the new OS onto the partition with GB I named it the partition Windows so I wouldn't get confused I clicked it and installed Windows onto it Anyways once it extracts the data and installs all Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! the Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! updates my computer screen goes black for a few seconds Then it load's the fish icon and then goes black It loads nothing and it just stays there I have tried using the startup repair and it cannot fix it I decided to reinstall the OS but format the partition and then install It does the same exact thing Anyways how do I get rid of the black screen Windows won't boot up I allowed a dual boot by the way so I still have windows but I really want to try Windows I followed this guide if anyone was wondering

A:Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen!

I'm having similar issues with Vista and W8. I put W8 on an empty and freshly created partition.
I can get W8 to run but then on every restart or reboot I can not get back to Vista from the "blue dual boot screen". I select Vista as the OS, the laptop goes to the Acer splash screen and then the screen goes black and the HDD light goes off completely. And that's it. Have to do a forced shutdown holding power button and then on next reboot it will go to Vista.
Fortunately I have full Acronis disk images so I can just revert back to before all this but like you I really want to try W8.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/4556-windows-8-dual-boot-installed-windows-8-wont-boot-up-black-screen.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi I have been dealing HDDs vanish re-boot 8, only reappear on Win to from with an issue for awhile now Since HDDs vanish from Win 8, only to reappear on re-boot I installed Win Pro bit Coming HDDs vanish from Win 8, only to reappear on re-boot from Win Home bit Sorry for the long post I have searched other forums tweaked my machine read plenty of guides and everything else I could throw at this problem I have been building and repairing PCs for over years and an avid Windows user But this is the first time I have experienced this and I admit I am totally stumped I will begin with my specs Specs Intel i chip no overclocking Gigabyte Z X-UD H Rev Motherboard Samsung gb SSD C Drive where Windows resides Western Digital Black each TB with partitions Western Digital Caviar Green TB with partitions Seagate Baracuda TB drive partitioned G-Skill ram sticks gb HDDs vanish from Win 8, only to reappear on re-boot each DDR with a total of gb Rosewill Xtreme Series RX -D-B W Continuous C PLUS Certified ATX V v amp EPS V About years old now nVidia GTX Video card Xonar Essence STX Audio Card Asus Zalman CNPS A LED Cpu fan Samsung CD DVD Burner SH- SATA CoolerMaster CMSTORM Enforcer Case w more case fans Windows Pro Bit upgraded from Windows Home Premium bit Here's the problem When I run a program that is intensive such as a game some of my HDDs will vanish I cannot see the discs in Disc Management or Device Manager I try rescan DISCS in Disc Management or attempt a check hardware change in Device Manager to get them back to no avail I have to re-boot my system in order to see the discs again They do show up in bios The drives that vanish are the HDDs I never experienced my C Drive doing this nor any BSOD or freezes The PC still runs just some of the HDDs vanish which is random never the same one all the time Sometimes vanishes other times will Steps I took to try and fix this issue - Bios is updated - Turned off all unnecessary settings in Bios such as internal audio - Made sure Bios was set to ACHI - Windows is fully updated - Firmware on my Samsung is updated - nVidia Card driver is updated - Xonar sound card driver is updated - Intel Rapid Technology installed with the latest version from the Intel site - Samsung Magician updated and installed then uninstalled by me - All settings for the drives I believe are correct - Power settings in Windows is set to max FOR all drives with all sleep and hibernation settings deactivated including doing it through CMD - Changed SATA cables and reseated them - Made sure all SATA drives are connected to the SATA ports as well as all SATA drives to the SATA ports - Checked heat readings for my system All seems stable at load at degrees - Ran CHKDSC on all drives which checked out OK Even ran Western Digital's Diagnostic tool checked out OK - Defragged all drives and Optimized the SSD with Trim - I tried disabling some drives including the DVD CD drive and ran my system and this issue still persists - Reformatted SSD C drive and reinstalled Windows problem still exists I have not reformatted my HDDs since I had Windows Those HDDs are for back up music files Games and Work files I checked my Event logs and here is what I get once a disc vanishes I don't crash no BSOD or freezes either sorry for the xml Critical AM Kernel-Power This error could be caused if the system stopped responding crashed or lost power unexpectedly Event Xml lt Event xmlns quot http quot gt lt System gt lt Provider Name quot Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power quot Guid quot C B A- - C -AC E- C D B quot gt lt EventID gt lt EventID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt Level gt lt Level gt lt Task gt lt Task gt lt Opcode gt lt Opcode gt lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt lt TimeCreated SystemTime quot - - T Z quot gt lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt lt Correlation gt lt Execution ProcessID quot quot ThreadID quot quot gt lt Channel gt System lt Channel gt lt Computer gt Bobbdobbs lt Computer gt lt Security UserID quot S- - - quot gt lt Syst... Read more

A:HDDs vanish from Win 8, only to reappear on re-boot

Can you send us a screencap of your disk management?

If your drives are set to dynamic that may be your issue.

Does it do this consistantly? can you pretty much make it happen on demand within a reasonalbe amount of time?

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/25370-hdds-vanish-win-8-only-reappear-re-boot.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hey guys First time post here This a crosspost of my question from a few other support forums Sorry I couldn't find a quot spoiler quot bb tag so the post is uncut Please point me to a correct one for future posts Generally I try to resolve my computer issues on my with my trusty friend Google however after a few days of multiple hour web searches I think I ve finally reached my limit and decided to actually ask for help Please bear with me as here are the problem variables I have an old Core Duo rig with four hard drives and one SSD on which a Windows installation resides The other disks are for storage A few days ago I decided a decision that was made because I was having these ridiculous dpc latency doesn't boot certain 7 Win with a after installation. 8 Win hdds issues with Win but that s another story for another Win 7 doesn't boot with certain hdds after a Win 8 installation. day to take Windows for Win 7 doesn't boot with certain hdds after a Win 8 installation. a spin so I took an old gig hard drive of mine and installed the system onto the said drive Before doing so however I ve disconnected my SSD Win and two of my storage hard drives so as not to screw up any files on them or erase them completely during the installation which has been known to happen to me during the XP days where the drive names were long and convoluted during the installation screen and it was difficult to tell them apart So basically I have two storage drives that are connected to the computer and two that are offline During the first startup Windows tells me that it Optimizes some things to improve some other things etc etc So in a few hours I finish playing with Win and decide to boot Win I completely disconnect the hard drive with Win connect my Win SSD and power up After the POST Windows does not boot-black screen and the hard drives are being accessed like mad-the LEDs on the front are blinking Basically Windows boots perfectly on my GF s computer it boots on my computer without all of my storage hard drives connected and it boots with the two storages hard drives that were disconnected during the short Windows installation and operation session When I boot with either of the hard drives that were connected while Win was heading the show I get a black boot screen In the latter configuration I ve tried booting normally running the startup repair which is kinda redundant since everything boots perfectly just without those two rogue hard drives booting in safe mode and booting in x mode-all with the same result or should I say a lack thereof So my two questions to you gentlemen are what has Windows done to the two of my storage hard drives that stands in the way of Windows booting and how do I revert what has been done I am not very well versed in the modern operating systems since I am a pathological clinger-oner and have been using an XP installation forever until last summer when it completely crashed and died on me Some of my acquaintances suggest that Win changes the computer s connected HD types from MBR to GPT and that THAT might be an issue here although why would it since I ve read that Win is perfectly capable of working with GPT hard drives but since technologically I am firmly stuck in the late nineties-early k years I wouldn t know about such things Thank you in advance and I appreciate your help very much Max

A:Win 7 doesn't boot with certain hdds after a Win 8 installation.

Hello,
I haven't messed with Win8 yet, but my latest install of Win7 was with uefi system on GPT drives. There's a good tutorial here on installing OS's on GPT. I think you should be able to boot into your chosen system by accessing the boot menu (F11?) at start-up. You may need to get into your BIOS/UEFI settings (Del key?) to tinker with Legacy boot options and/or boot preferences / hd sequences.

My challenge was that I wanted a triple boot system with one OS on GPT and 2 OSs on MBR (regular-old BIOS) on the same system. Most people discourge it because GPT drives are made unique (?) by the new uefi capable OSs....still don't fully understand that yet.

Anyhow, I got around it by doing what you described, disconnecting drives / reconnecting drives for installations. My main boot drive is a SSD GPT drive with Win7 (main.) Though the uefi boot menu (F11,) I was able to identify my spinner HDD with my other OS7 (emergency) & WinXP-mce partitions, both of which are on a MBR drive. I used EasyBCD to make a boot menu for these two while in Win7 (emergency) that allows me to access them once I hit F11 in the uefi boot menu.

I did manage to mess up my mbr boot.ini files when I mistakenly ran the Win7 repair utility, but I simply restored and repaired using Paragon HDM and things were back to normal.
Regards-

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/362816-win-7-doesnt-boot-certain-hdds-after-win-8-installation.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I have two 1TB HDDs and have just realised Win 7 is installed on Disk 1 (the first is Disk 0). I suspect this is why I can't get RollbackRx to install.

When I changed the boot order in BIOS the PC wouldn't start giving a NTLDR error. I used the Win Rescue Disk to get it to boot which switched the order back again.

How can I set my disk with OS to be first in the boot order?

A:Can I change the boot order of my HDDs?

Have you tried swapping the SATA cables so W7 is connected to SATA 0 ??

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/127928-can-i-change-boot-order-my-hdds.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I'm currently trying to fix my friend's VERY OLD pc.

I tried the original HDD. The system can't detect it on boot process. Primary Master - None..

I pull out the original HDD. Then I tried my old HDD on the same computer. Still it's Primary Master - None..

I've tried changing the BIOS settings (All primary & secondary to AUTO), changed IDE cables, used all power connectors, un-plugged other hardwares, already tried using a Secondary IDE controller, I also used the Auto HDD Detection in BIOS.

Yep, all these didn't work...

Does anyone know what the problem really is?

I suspect it's the Power supply. Maybe the power is not enough to load the HDD. but the power supply works on other hardware. And also the only one hard problem is.. I don't have an old kind of power supply.

So I'm stuck!

A:HDDs - both can't be detected on system boot

Did you eliminate the cable?

Try hooking a CDROM to the primary and see if it is detected.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdds-both-cant-be-detected-on-system-boot.32420/
Relevancy 52.89%

I am upgrading my HTPC that i put together a few years back to have a SSD as a boot will attach SSD not when from HDDs additional boot drive to increase space quiet background will not boot from SSD when attach additional HDDs running and speed will not boot from SSD when attach additional HDDs up booting etc Original Abit IP Pro Boot drive WD raptor gb Storage tb x Win bit New drive crucial m gb Everything was running fine before trying to exchange the raptor for the m I had a big issue getting Windows installed on m but finally did a clean install when no harddrive was connected except the SSD to the original SATA port of the boot drive Once I had windows installed and i was able to boot up with only the SSD attached to the boot SATA port I attached the storage drives to their original SATA ports and got an error when booting it paused in mid boot then started searching for a boot disk in the DVD drive I looked at the BIOS and the SSD is listed as st port on hard drive boot order and hard drive is st boot priority I unplugged all storage drives and it booted up without an issue any thoughts on why alone it would boot up fine but when other drives are attached does it not boot and look for a boot disk in the DVD Thanks

A:will not boot from SSD when attach additional HDDs

Have you tried connecting just one storage drive, then rebooting to see if there is success; then connecting a second storage drive, etc? The idea being to identify which of the 3 storage drives causes the problem to arise.

You say you had "a big issue" getting Windows installed onto the SSD. Did some of your attempts to get Windows on the SSD include having one or more of these storage drives still connected to the motherboard? I'm guessing maybe one of your failed attempts wrote some Windows files to one of the storage drives and those files remain on that drive--even though you later disconnected that storage drive and successfully installed Windows to the SSD with no other drives connected.

Installing to an SSD when no other drives are connected is typically painless and without issues.

A screen shot of Disk Management might be revealing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/214124-will-not-boot-ssd-when-attach-additional-hdds.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Well for a while now I ve had the quot Disk Boot Failure quot message upon starting up my New Failure Boot HDDs Disk with Old and computer Here Disk Boot Failure with New and Old HDDs s what happened I install Ubuntu runs fine Partition off my drive put XP on the other partition Works great I noticed that because of my gaming I was using Ubuntu less and less so I reformatted and installed XP but after I installed it said quot Disk Boot Failure quot Well I ve tried three different hard drives and with my official Ubuntu disks and my old XP disk I can t get anything going Always the same So just today my new gig hard drive came in I slapped it in and tried installing Windows Installer started up finished restarted Disk Boot Failure Slapped in my Ubuntu disk installed fine Disk Boot Failure I m at a loss I ve tried simply switching from Master to Cable Select it helped some guys to zeroing my HDD None of it works Help Thanks Ryan edit merry christmas nbsp

Relevancy 52.89%

Two days ago I was very pleased with this forum in helping me resolve a BSOD issue Unfortunately that night there was a power outage I've never had issues with power outages until now My computer is plugged into a surge protector I can't boot from either of my HDDs I go into BIOS and check the boot order nothing is Outage after boot Power Cannot HDDs from wrong When F ing to choose what to boot I choose Hard disk and Cannot boot from HDDs after Power Outage it recognizes both my Seagate and Western Digital Hard drives So I'm not sure it's a hardware issue I put in my Windows CD to try to repair it It boots up fine However when I choose to repair windows it doesn't recognize the windows partition on my WD drive Windows says if it doesn't recognize the drive with windows then press the drivers button to install drivers for your Hard drive I click it and I can see my other Seagate drive and all its files along with any other plugged in drives except my WD gb drive with windows Install drivers for my HD That's where I get lost I've never needed drivers for it or was there a CD Am I misunderstanding what it means Is everything on that drive erased Can a power outage do that Please any help would be amazing Is there anyway to check if the data is corrupted Like if it not gone If I were to just get another HD or SSD and install windows on it could I still use my gb for storage

A:Cannot boot from HDDs after Power Outage

Quote: Originally Posted by Sirus804

Two days ago I was very pleased with this forum in helping me resolve a BSOD issue. Unfortunately, that night there was a power outage. I've never had issues with power outages until now. My computer is plugged into a surge protector. I can't boot from either of my HDDs. I go into BIOS and check the boot order, nothing is wrong. When F12ing to choose what to boot, I choose Hard disk and it recognizes both my Seagate and Western Digital Hard drives. So, I'm not sure it's a hardware issue.

I put in my Windows 7 CD to try to repair it. It boots up fine. However when I choose to repair windows it doesn't recognize the windows 7 partition on my WD640 drive. Windows says if it doesn't recognize the drive with windows 7, then press the drivers button to install drivers for your Hard drive. I click it and I can see my other Seagate drive and all its files along with any other plugged in drives except my WD640gb drive with windows. Install drivers for my HD? That's where I get lost. I've never needed drivers for it.. or was there a CD. Am I misunderstanding what it means? Is everything on that drive erased? Can a power outage do that? Please, any help would be amazing.

Is there anyway to check if the data is corrupted? Like if it not gone. If I were to just get another HD or SSD and install windows on it, could I still use my 640 gb for storage?

The first thing I would do is run Checkdisk. How to use CHKDSK (Check Disk) - Windows 7 Let us know how that comes out.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/131623-cannot-boot-hdds-after-power-outage.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi.

I accidently installed grub onto the seven boot partition. I can't boot into seven. It loads the ubuntu select os screen, I select WIndows 7 (Loader), and it justs goes back to the ubuntu select os.

Please can someone help?

I still have windows 7 installed, and I have full access to ubuntu.

A:Accidently installed grub onto windows 7 boot partiton. Unable to boot

To Remove Linux take look at this post:
Error 0xc0000225 on boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/208957-accidently-installed-grub-onto-windows-7-boot-partiton-unable-boot.html
Relevancy 52.89%

this is what I did since I have no CD-ROM to install Win I created a partion X NTFS and set it as the ACTIVE ONE the put there the Windows installation files and opened prompt command to type bootsect exe n X next I restarted my computer and automatically it booted into the Windows setup partitiion Windows installed or files in manager boot boot wrong I installed Windows on the partition C Windows boot files or boot manager installed in wrong partitiion and formatted the partition C everything installed and after the installation finished a multiple choice menu appears that reads Windows Windows boot files or boot manager installed in wrong partitiion Windows Setup I believe my error was not to set partition C back as the active one during the installation process where it asks you in which partition to install I just formatted C but forgot to set it as the ACTIVE ONE I have partition in total but there is no need to put them all just the ones that are involved this is how my partitions look Cboot page file crash dump primary partition XSystem Active Primary partition lt lt lt this one became hidden Code Windows Boot Manager -------------------- identifier bootmgr device device partition Device HarddiskVolume description Windows Boot Manager locale en-US inherit globalsettings integrityservices Enable default current resumeobject d e - - e -b f -efb b a displayorder current dcc -fafe- d -b - eba f toolsdisplayorder memdiag timeout Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier current device partition C path Windows system winload exe description Windows locale en-US inherit bootloadersettings recoverysequence d e - - e -b f -efb b a integrityservices Enable recoveryenabled Yes allowedinmemorysettings x osdevice partition C systemroot Windows resumeobject d e - - e -b f -efb b a nx OptIn bootmenupolicy Standard Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier dcc -fafe- d -b - eba f device ramdisk boot sources boot wim dcc -fafe- d -b - eba f path windows system boot winload exe description Windows Setup locale en-US inherit bootloadersettings osdevice ramdisk boot sources boot wim dcc -fafe- d -b - eba f systemroot windows bootmenupolicy Standard detecthal Yes winpe Yes ems No what I want is to make the X partition a worthless partition just containing the Windows installation files and that everything looks like if I installed from a CD-ROM rather than from a partition please tell in BCDEDIT commands does that mean I have to move the boot files or boot manager into C I also would like to remove the multiple choice screen but more important is to make X partition a worthless partition

A:Windows boot files or boot manager installed in wrong partitiion

Please post back a screenshot of your maximized Disk Management drive map and listings:

1. Type Disk Management in Start Search box.
2. Open Disk Mgmt. window and maximize it.
3. Type Snipping Tool in Start Search box.
4. Open Snipping Tool, choose Rectangular Snip, click New, draw a box around full drive map and all listings.
5, Save Snip, attach using paper clip in Reply Box.

Tell us what is on each partition.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/270703-windows-boot-files-boot-manager-installed-wrong-partitiion.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi Guys I want to create a dual boot for internal boot, Dual seperate two HDDs Windows and Dual boot, two seperate internal HDDs ubuntu using two seperate HDDs My first question is what is the best set up for this At the moment I have GB windows HDD IDE GB files HDD IDE TB external for backup and for using with my laptop My spare HDDS are GB HDD IDE GB HDD SATA Would it be better to use the GB IDE or the GB SATA to install ubuntu Obviously the GB would be better in terms of size but I am unsure as to whether mixing SATA and IDE HDDs has disadvantages I am also unsure of the best way to arrange the HDDs in terms of IDE IDE and jumpers obviously this also depends on which HDD I chose to use And one more quick question Does it matter which power cables you use with which IDE cables Any info would be great thanks I'm not very experienced so bare with me Cheers Soph

A:Dual boot, two seperate internal HDDs

Here you go mate, have a look through this.

Information

The easiest way to do away with boot issues between separate Operating Systems (OS) is to use the BIOS one time boot menu to select which OS to boot at system startup, each motherboard has an individual hot-key to tap during system start-up to access this menu.

If you have 2 separate Hard Disk Drives (HDD) and have one OS installed to one HDD and you want to install another OS to the second HDD, disconnect the HDD with the first OS installed on it and leave only the HDD you want to install the second OS to connected.

Install the second OS to the connected HDD and when complete and the system is booting good, power down and reconnect the first HDD with the first OS on it.

This way the OSs will boot independently of each other and there will be no boot conflicts between the 2 separate OSs to have to sort later.

Then set the BIOS to boot the HDD / OS you want as default and if you want to start the other (new) OS you use the BIOS one-time boot menu to select that HDD / OS to start when the PC is started.Asus - F8
HP/Compaq - Esc
Sony - F2
Acer – F12
Packard Bell
Gateway - F10
eMachnes - F10
Gigabyte – F12
Toshiba - F12
Dell - F12
IBM/Lenovo - the blue Thinkvantage button

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/245538-dual-boot-two-seperate-internal-hdds.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I recently installed Windows Professional bit 2 Can on How Dual Undo HDDs Boot WIN7 I on my PC It has two internal hard disk drives HDD and HDD How Can I Undo WIN7 Dual Boot on 2 HDDs Before WIN I had Windows XP OS on HDD I moved my WINXP OS to HDD and installed a bran new empty HDD Then I booted my Windows Professional full version DVD and did a clean install to the bran new HDD The install went OK but unbeknown to me and without any prior warning the Windows install created a dual boot system When I boot WIN from HDD I now get a black and white Windows Boot Manager screen with choices of Earlier Version of Windows or the highlighted default of Windows The Windows install also changed the boot area on my WINXP HDD When I go into the BIOS boot screen and boot from my WINXP OS HDD I get the same Windows Boot Manager screen with the same two choices Is there any way to undo the dual boot Windows Boot Manager I would like to get the boot area on my WINXP HDD back to the way it was before the Windows install and have a normal boot area on the WIN HDD I don t want to remove or uninstall WINXP or WIN I just want to be able to boot from either one via the BIOS normally without Windows Boot Manager like the way I could before the Windows install

A:How Can I Undo WIN7 Dual Boot on 2 HDDs

Hi Jim. Smart to boot two OS HD's via BIOS so they can come and go as you please. Unfortunately you didn't know that Win7 will configure a multi-boot if installed while another OS is plugged in.

Can you please post back a screenshot of your full Disk Management drive map and listings, using Snipping Tool in Start Menu? There may be something unmentioned about your setup that needs to be taken into account before we can give you failsafe steps.

If XP alone is marked System Active then the procedure is to mark Win7 Active in XP Disk Management, power down, unplug XP HD, set Win7 HD as first HD to boot in BIOS setup (after DVD drive) then boot the Win7 DVD Repair console or Repair CD, click through to Recovery Tools list to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times with reboots to write the MBR to Win7.
System Repair Disc - Create
Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

When you plug XP HD back in set preferred HD as first to boot in BIOS setup, then boot the other HD by tapping one-time BIOS Boot Menu during bootup:
Asus - F8
HP/Compaq - Esc
Sony - F2
Acer - F2
Gateway - F10
eMachnes - F10
Toshiba - F12
Dell - F12
IBM/Lenovo - the blue Thinkvantage button

If the Dual Boot menu still appears when booting XP, remove it by installing EasyBCD 2.0 to Edit Boot menu. You'll need to install Net Framework 2.0 to use EasyBCD in XP. Welcome to EasyBCD 2.0! — The NeoSmart Files

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/109096-how-can-i-undo-win7-dual-boot-2-hdds.html
Relevancy 52.46%

This is a strange problem Last night I wanted to put the computer to sleep as I always do at night The mouse was frozen and the keyboard Sleep function didn t work I thought a reboot would solve it but upon restarting the computer would not boot I went through the Repair Option Safe - nothing worked I decided to do a System Restore with an Acronis Backup image and that also failed to allow boot I thought I might have a bad hdd and was starting to shut down the comp to replace it so I unplugged the external drives and all of a sudden it worked after reboot I ran full Diagnostic test and hdds boot Solved: External preventing it is fine Any idea what could have caused this - BTW the hdds are now plugged in and everything is fine After I unplugged the hdds and rebooted my CPU went from a normal to - now back to normal Last thing after I rebooted last night I put the computer to Sleep only to have it wake up on its own - that problem is also corrected I am wondering if a component is starting to fail - hope not this comp is only months old Thanks Paul nbsp

Relevancy 52.03%

Hi all,

I followed some instructions to remove the Windows 8 Dual Boot by just deleting the Windows 8 Partition and that there was no need to edit the boot menu as everything will be done automatically after restart.

Now, when I tried to reboot my computer, the computer hangs at the screen where you are suppose to select to boot up Windows 7 or Windows 8.

As I had deleted Windows 8 Already, it should not prompt me to select to boot Windows 8 but rather directly boot into Windows 7.

How should I proceed from here ? I am currently installing Fedora Dual Boot on my laptop so hopefully I am able to do some salvaging from there....

Thanks in advance !

Warmest Regards,
Zeke

A:Windows 7 Crashes at Boot Manager after Deleting Windows 8 Dual Boot

Take a windows 7 installation DVD/USB thumbdrive, boot from it, select "I want to repair my computer" and then do a "startup repair".

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/294576-windows-7-crashes-boot-manager-after-deleting-windows-8-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Not Multiple During Boot-Up External HDDs...Computer Recycles sure if this is the correct forum section so I took a guess OS is Win Home Premium with all updates My problem is more of a hardware related issue though I recently moved and reconnected my computer at new residence I think I have it set up the same way as previously where I didn't experience this problem Computer is connected to an APC UPS There are external HDDs plugged into a separate surge protector that is connected to the APC UPS the HDD power plugs are quot brick size quot and won't quot fit quot side-by-side into the power outlets on Multiple External HDDs...Computer Recycles During Boot-Up the UPS The HDD USB connectors are plugged directly into USB ports on the rear of the computer Now when I boot the computer it will start the boot process but stop at the Multiple External HDDs...Computer Recycles During Boot-Up screen where Multiple External HDDs...Computer Recycles During Boot-Up it would normally list the drives on the computer Some of the HDD power lights will be ON at the time but some won't The list of drives will not be shown and the computer will restart the boot process and go through the same cycle or times During this process some of the HDD power indicator lights will get turned on or off between boots After boot recycling attempts almost always on the th boot attempt ALL the HDD power indicator lights will finally get quot synced quot and be ON at which point the computer will THEN list all drives and complete the boot process to the Win desktop It's like all of the external HDDs aren't getting quot initiated quot fast enough until the th cycle of the boot process so all of them will be quot powered ON quot in time for the boot process to continue I've never had anything like that happen before until my recent move and re-connecting the computer components I don't think my computer's Power Supply has gone bad it's a watt PSU on my main simulation quot gaming quot setup so quot lack of power quot shouldn't be an issue Once everything finally boots up there are no other problems running whatever I want to do with the computer I'm stumped as to what may be happening causing the multiple boot processes Any ideas or suggestions Thanks

A:Multiple External HDDs...Computer Recycles During Boot-Up

Falcon mate a couple of things to try first why don't you boot with none of the externals plugged in and see what happens. Then plug them inone by one ans then again see what happens it could be you have a bad one.

for the PSU see this ditty of mine

UsingHW Info PSU

Download HW Info and pick the right bit version - HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 -Download - (or copy andpaste this site into the search bar) If you do not need the running informationin the smaller right hand panel close it. In the left hand window click on the+ for the individual device groupings and they will open out to the variouscomponents.

Go on opening out further until you get to the device itself. click on it and itwill highlight. In the right hand window there will be a very detailed descriptionof that device as in brand, speeds model number etc etc These are very detailedand are just what is needed for searching for drivers etc.

To get the PSU volts you need to select the Sensor button circled in yellow inthe pic for PSU testing do the same and scroll down the readout as in my pic towhere it has Nuvoton = yours might be a different section name / title. Postback apic of that please.

If you want a more definitive test see this http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/301799-psu-test-dc-output-voltage.html but pleaseonly use a digital multimeter and not an analogue as they inject typically 9vinto a circuit to test and into a 3.3v or 5v rail - not a good idea!!see thepartial pic of the correct sort of meter in that tutorial. details if youscroll down that listing.

Now a good reference article is this
Voltage Rails - Power Supply 101: AReference Of Specifications it will explain in detail what thevoltages are and functions of the PSU

Now the pic is of my Ivy Bridge Asus board and the section titled Nuvoton might be different to yours but look for where Vbatt is listed - that is the voltage rails section
The last link will tell you about tolerances etc

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/350438-multiple-external-hdds-computer-recycles-during-boot-up.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I've had this working before 1x to Win7s boot - Triple WinXP. 2x problem 2x work How this? HDDs, & but can't remember how i Triple boot problem - 2x HDDs, 2x Win7s & 1x WinXP. How to work this? did it i've had to format the disks What i want is Main drive SSD Win Pro bit Secondary drive HDD Win pro bit amp WinXP Pro With the boot screen in the order of Win Pro HDD WinXP Pro HDD Win Pro SSD Nobody will understand why i am installing Win twice on the same machine albeit different drives If you REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY want to know then PM me amp i'll explain but for now let's continue I've had this working before so i know it can be done but for some reason it's not letting me do it now since the format I can get WinXP HDD to boot i can get Win SSD to boot but not Win HDD The SSD is the primary boot disk within the BIOS I'm running EasyBCD from within the SSD I don't FULLY understand how to use EasyBCD so my Triple boot problem - 2x HDDs, 2x Win7s & 1x WinXP. How to work this? first successful attempts were probably flukes as i can't remember what i did within EasyBCD to make it possible I'm running the latest version of EasyBCD I installed in the order of Disconnect SSD Install WinXP HDD Install Win HDD re-connect SSD Install Win SSD this is exactly the order i did it in the last time it worked this enables me to boot to the SSD only from which i run EasyBCD amp can then access WinXP when the PC restarts but not Win HDD Would really love a bit of help with this Thanks to anyone who can

A:Triple boot problem - 2x HDDs, 2x Win7s & 1x WinXP. How to work this?

Quote: Originally Posted by NellyPuff

I've had this working before, but can't remember how i did it (i've had to format the disks).

What i want is:

Main drive (SSD): Win7 Pro 64bit

Secondary drive (HDD): Win7 pro 64 bit & WinXP Pro

With the boot screen in the order of:

Win7 Pro (HDD)
WinXP Pro (HDD)
Win7 Pro (SSD)

**** Nobody will understand why i am installing Win7 twice on the same machine, albeit 2 different drives. If you REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY want to know then PM me & i'll explain, but for now, let's continue...

I've had this working before so i know it can be done, but for some reason it's not letting me do it now since the format.

I can get WinXP (HDD) to boot, i can get Win7 (SSD) to boot, but not Win7 (HDD).

The SSD is the primary boot disk within the BIOS.
I'm running EasyBCD from within the SSD.

I don't FULLY understand how to use EasyBCD so my first 2 successful attempts were probably flukes as i can't remember what i did within EasyBCD to make it possible.

I'm running the latest version of EasyBCD.
I installed in the order of:
Disconnect SSD
Install WinXP (HDD)
Install Win7 (HDD)
re-connect SSD
Install Win7 (SSD)

^^^ this is exactly the order i did it in the last time it worked.

this enables me to boot to the SSD only, from which i run EasyBCD & can then access WinXP when the PC restarts, but not Win7 (HDD)

Would really love a bit of help with this. Thanks to anyone who can.

Have a felling I know why. JUST A THEORY

On HD
since you installed xp first its prime OS
when you installed win 7 it parked a hidden folder called boot in the XP partition to make those two dual boot.

ON SSD

Win 7 by itself.

XP works fine, win 7 on ssd works fine, wine 7 on HD cant boot because boot folder is in XP partition.

I am not great with BCDedit or Easy but have a feeling there is a way to do it with them.
Hope someone with more loader editing experience is about.

In fact I will ask for someone with more editing experience to help.
Ken J

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/116877-triple-boot-problem-2x-hdds-2x-win7s-1x-winxp-how-work.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hey guys first post (2 ... Loading FAILURE BOOT Operating HDDs) DISK System got a bit of an interesting issue Months ago when I first built this computer I installed Windows on a GB SSD drive A month or so after I found that I needed more space so I got a GB SSD installed Windows on it as well which I've been using since and love As I expected when the system booted up I got a Windows Boot Manager menu asking which of the two Windows s I would like to boot to Makes sense right Two drives both with Windows on them which does the user want to use No problem I'd pick the first which went to the larger GB drive everything was peachy Fast forward to today I have Loading Operating System ... DISK BOOT FAILURE (2 HDDs) a new system that I'm building and I figured I'd pop out the GB SSD from this machine and use it in the new system which won't be for gaming so I don't need too much storage When I popped out the drive and rebooted I now get a message that the operating system cannot be found Something along the lines of Loading Operating System ... DISK BOOT FAILURE (2 HDDs) the following Loading Operating System Boot Disk Failure I go into the BIOS and yep BIOS sees the GB SSD but I can't boot to it When I put the Windows install disk in and go to quot Repair your computer quot and quot System Recovery Options quot it sees no Operating Systems It's like something on that GB drive was keeping track of the GB drive Did the GB drive keep a OS loader of sorts on it that's required to boot off of the GB drive When I put the GB drive back in the system sees both Windows s When I boot off the install disk the quot Repair your computer quot see both Windows s I can even boot to WIndows on the GB drive How can I remove the first disk the GB disk but keep the second disk the GB disk functioning without reinstalling Much thanks in advance

A:Loading Operating System ... DISK BOOT FAILURE (2 HDDs)

I just ran Disk Management and see that the 120GB drive has a "System Reserved" partition that the 256GB drive does not:

System Reserved
100 MB NTFS
Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)
Might this be what the 256GB drive is missing?

Thx!

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/277585-loading-operating-system-disk-boot-failure-2-hdds.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I would like to remove Vista from my dual boot setup Here is how I got to where I am now I dual / HDDs boot Win7 delete - Vista Want leaving Seperate to had Vista installed on my PC hard drive was C Later I decided to install Win HP on a new and seperate HDD I unplugged the Vista HDD and added the new HDD and installed Win as if from scratch I was worried that the install would mess up all my files on Vista After the Win was up and running I then reconnected Vista redesignated it as drive E and after some searching on how to I created the dual boot using my Win disk so I'm assuming the boot file in on drive C along with Win I now want delete the dual boot and Vista so I can use the drive as a backup Want to delete Vista / dual boot leaving Win7 - Seperate HDDs drive or possibly Win I have found Want to delete Vista / dual boot leaving Win7 - Seperate HDDs several methods to do this but none that really have my specific situation Can someone direct me on the proper path Thanks

A:Want to delete Vista / dual boot leaving Win7 - Seperate HDDs

Boot into windows 7.

Look in disk mgmt and ensure the system partition is NOT the one containing Vista.

If that is the case, simply use msconfig to remove Vista entry from boot menu - then you can delete/format Vista partition.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/218999-want-delete-vista-dual-boot-leaving-win7-seperate-hdds.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I recently bought sticks of total pc Patriot dual ram for Battlefield I origiannly had x Corsier pc ram With toal gb i thought i could make my pc faster But it was all a false dream when i added the new sticks the computer kept on crashing and crashing then finally when it doesn t crash and i try to run BF the game closes and many took new rams.. out crashes.. crashes...Installed still Too them but righ after it loads to a server so I thought it were the new sticks thats causing this so I took them out hoping it would go back to the way it was but same thing it crashes and crashes and when it doesnt and i try to run something that requres a lot of ram like a game it closes Too many crashes...Installed new rams.. but took them out and still crashes.. by it self i was running a very old gb hard drive as primary thats running xp pro and a pretty new gb western digital as secondary so i thought it might be my old hard drive so i take that out and put a new gb thats running xp pro x which never gave me any problems and i saved it for emergency moments like this and still no luck so i take out my secondary thinking its my power supply and still no luck I tried to get my secondary hard drive to install a fresh copy of xp pro but keep getting errors somebody PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me I am about to cry my computer spec could be found at geocities com rashidul fparts htm nbsp

A:Too many crashes...Installed new rams.. but took them out and still crashes..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/too-many-crashes-installed-new-rams-but-took-them-out-and-still-crashes.418223/
Relevancy 49.45%

I installed a new motherboard for my Windows 7 Home Premium system and was surprised to find Windows won't boot now. I tried repair option from the install disc but didn't help. I tried the in place upgrade but after selecting the Install now option I end up with a message that the system was booted from the install disc and I need to start Windows normally and then insert the install disc again which of course won't work when Windows can't boot.

I made a new install on a test hard drive to check my motherboard and it is working fine. What can I do? I would like to boot on my regular drive with all my data and programs and not have to go through the long process of finding and installing everything anew.

A:Windows won't boot after new MB installed

RFHarris, Welcome to SF. Sometimes you get lucky with this process sometimes you don't but read the attached article for some help. I like to clean install but I always back up my data and keep all my software ready, but it is a much longer process but one I prefer.
Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/162101-windows-wont-boot-after-new-mb-installed.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I used a program to make a USB bootable drive and installed xp off it, now it wont start on its own the usb bootable drive has "debug boot rdisk 1 partition 1-4" when I use partition 3 it starts fine, I checked that file out all it is is a boot.ini file with multi boot options, I tried to change the windows boot.ini file to somthing that I thought was correct , disk0 and partition 3 and rdisk 0 with multi set to 0, am I doing anything wrong?

In disk management it shows up as 0 and I'm using IDE mode in bios thanks!

The error I get when I try to boot up just using the hdd is "windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware config problem"
Could not read from the seleted boot disk. check boot path and disk hardware.

A:Windows XP installed from USB, won't boot on its own

I'm not sure if this will help your situation, but in your BIOS, do you have the Hard drive selected as the First bootable device?

If not, try setting it to before the USB/CD/Floppy and see if it will allow you to boot.

Other then this the only thing I could suggest is to reload with a disc..

With your boot.ini file do you have this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

*Note that instead of Professional you could also have Home..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-installed-from-usb-wont-boot-on-its-own.181666/
Relevancy 49.45%

I m not sure whether this is a hardware issue or a software Windows and Installed now boot? new PSU won't Windows issue Okay I just installed a Corsair HX which is rated Silver which is apparently Installed new PSU and now Windows won't boot? a good thing I know this thing is more powerful than my previous W power supply Would changing the PSU effect Windows in any way I m more than sure everything is plugged in and tight I ve tried numerous times and whenever I boot up my computer it goes through the BIOS screen and then it goes to quot Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device quot The thing is Windows is already properly installed on one of the hard drives I have two SATA hard drives My computer was working perfectly fine with the other PSU but with this new one Windows will simply not boot I may try to reinstall Windows but can a new PSU really make it so you can t boot into Windows Also I checked my BIOS and everything is being recognized From the hard drives to the DVD drives I have two My specs are AMD Phenom II Quad Core GHz x GB SATA HDD Windows Ultimate New Corsair HX PSU Nvidia GeForce GT GB RAM nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

Hello All Windows Laptop Boot on 2003 Server in installed installation Dual already Windows 7 I have Windows Ultimate -Bit Edition installed and working fine Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop on the following laptop HP-Dv -Bit Core Duo GB RAM Nvidia Graphics Card It is the only operating system I have two partitions in the laptop harddisk Windows Ultimate is obviously installed on the first partition C I have D almost empty and I can shrink or expand it based on the requirements Now I want to install Windows SR SP Server on the same laptop in Dual Boot Configuration I have read that installing a Windows Xp family operating system on a machine after intallation of Windows Vista family operating system corrupts the boot sector and makes Windows unbootable since both have different operating system files I know i should have installed Windows first and then Windows to ensure a hassle free Windows dual boot system However I want now to save the hassle and do the other way around Can anyone guide me with exact steps or to any other working guide which can ensure that both operating systems would live in harmony in the scenario i have described Maybe someone with a similar experience can share the precautions and consequences Thanks for reading and helping in advance Regards nbsp

A:Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop

Couple of things you can do after installing 2003.

Boot from the W7 dvd select repair my computer and do a startup repair, most of the time this fixes the bootloader for W7, but then 2003 may not boot now. So then you need to install a BCD editor software in W7 to get both of them booting properly.

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

If startup repair does not get W7 booting again, there are some commands you can do from the W7 recovery environment to get the job done, (boot from the W7 cd, select repair my computer, then command prompt)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2003-server-installation-in-dual-boot-on-already-installed-windows-7-laptop.878387/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello All I have Windows Dual installation Windows Boot already 7 installed 2003 in Windows Server Laptop on Ultimate -Bit Edition installed and working fine on the following laptop HP-Dv -Bit Core Duo GB RAM Nvidia Graphics Card It is the Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop only operating system I have two partitions in the laptop harddisk Windows Ultimate is obviously installed on the first partition C I have D almost empty and I can shrink or expand it based on the requirements Now I want to install Windows SR SP Server on the same laptop in Dual Boot Configuration I have read that installing a Windows Xp family operating system on a machine after intallation of Windows Vista family operating system corrupts the boot sector and makes Windows unbootable since both have different operating system files I know i should have installed Windows first and then Windows to ensure a hassle free Windows dual boot system However I want now to save the hassle and do the other Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop way around Can anyone guide me with exact steps or to any other working guide which can ensure that both operating systems would live in harmony in the Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop scenario i have described Maybe someone with a similar experience can share the precautions and consequences Thanks for reading and helping in advance Regards

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-2003-server-installation-in-dual-boot-on-already-installed-windows-7-laptop-432998.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I have a new laptop pre-installed with Windows 10 on a primary m.2 disk.
It also has an HDD that I divided into partitions.

Now I have an old laptop that has Windows 7 that holds programs and files that I left behind. I want those programs accessible in a Windows 7 environment. Therefore, I cloned my Windows 7 to a spare partition on my laptop's HDD. Right now, I have Windows 10 on primary SSD and cloned Windows 7 on a partition of secondary HDD.

However, the problem is that, while the disk cloning process went successfully, it's not bootable. So my question is: how do I make the disk with Windows 7 bootable?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/57645-dual-boot-setup-pre-installed-windows-10-cloned-windows-7dows.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I have been having nothing but trouble with my girlfriend s new computer installed? a with cd Windows drive won't boot meaning it was my old computer of course I never had problems with it when it was mine I should have known better than to give her an AOpen formerly ACER cd drive but it was what I had so in it went My problem is that windows will not boot from hd with any cd rive of any brand I tried Windows won't boot with a cd drive installed? three the Aopen is broken on any IDE channel primary or secondary no matter if it is keyed as master or slave Is Windows won't boot with a cd drive installed? this an IRQ problem in the bios Before switching the cd drives out I would press the eject button on the cd drive and then the video card would kick in and the login screen would show up but I couldn t get the cd to actually eject I think the motherboard uses pheonix bios The system is an MSI k N -G board with an athlon and a gigabyte of Windows won't boot with a cd drive installed? ddr samsung RAM a radeon pro and a wd hard drive Anyway what is going on here Any clues This crap is driving me CRAAAAAZY Chris nbsp

A:Windows won't boot with a cd drive installed?

This sounds like a fun one...at least from a few hundred miles away.

Can you clarify a few things?

1.) The HD is currently set to master. Correct?
2.) Does the CD Drive show in the BIOS?
3.) Can you boot using a bootable CD? (W2k or WinXP)
4.) Can you boot into safe mode with the CD-Rom present?

(BTW...if you're unable to ever open the CD-Rom...most CD-Roms have an emergency eject (a little pinhole on the front) that you can stick a paperclip in to manually eject.)

I don't think this is an IRQ issue...,but we'll see...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-wont-boot-with-a-cd-drive-installed.416251/
Relevancy 48.59%

My situation is usually the opposite of what I've found online. I upgraded to Win 10 and I'm quite comfortable with it, the problem is that a critical application for my job does not work with this platform. As I have space, my preferred option is to dual boot with Win 10 and Win 8.1 on the system. Please guide me on how to go ahead with this endeavor.This is quite an urgent requirement so I'd appreciate help.

A:Dual boot Windows 10 and Win 8.1 with Win 10 installed

The M$ article:http://tinyurl.com/p79786jand another approach..http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how...If wishing to play or otherwise with win-10 I would be inclined to do on its own computer, or go the dual boot path.And... if dual booting... first ensure "all" data is safely duplicated/copied elsewhere - typically DVD, but an external hard drive (or NAS) too is nice(r) - just in-case...

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/dual-boot-windows-10-and-win-81-with-win-10-installed/144.html
Relevancy 48.59%

hi all

i just installed a new motherboard and cpu and cant boot my primary windows drive because windows (7 64bit) is trying to boot with the old mobo drivers. i have reinstalled windows (7 32bit, i lost my 64bit dvd) on a secondary drive. is there a way to get rid of the old mobo drivers and install my new ones? there is nothing in the manual about it and i cant find a solution searching google

any help would be greatly appreciated as always

A:installed new mobo and cant boot windows

Did you try tapping F8 on boot and starting in safe mode?
You can try a startup repair but would probably still need the 64bit disk.

IF this is a OEM disk then it's license is tied to the original motherboard it was installed on and the install may not pass activation, a upgrade disk would take the license from the OS that was upgraded and of course a full retail can moved and reused in this case.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/installed-new-mobo-and-cant-boot-windows-699134.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Into windows 7 now, it says windows 7 is compressed or something.
So i gotta get back the windows 7 boot loader? I tried but when i put the disk in it loads and where its suppose to ask where you have windows 7 installed, nothing gets showed there. It's just blank.
Any help?

A:Installed Ubuntu 9.10 after windows 7 and Can't boot-

Hello RileyRandom,
When booting from the install dvd, are you able to reach the "System recovery Options" window which has the "Load Drivers" button at the bottom? If yes, then click on "Load Drivers" and use the mini Explorer to right-click on the boot-drive and deselect "Compress this Drive" and choose Apply to sub-folders and files. Then close all windows and reboot.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/73376-installed-ubuntu-9-10-after-windows-7-cant-boot.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit installed on my SATA 1TB HDD. I also have an IDE 250GB HDD onto which I've installed Windows XP Professional 32-bit. Using DualBootPro,I was able to get Windows 7 to boot correctly, however XP now gives me the error:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

I have Googled the heck out of this problem and tried a number of fixes that have not worked:

I tried replacing the hal.dll file with the one from the XP install disc.
I tried rebuilding the boot.ini file.
I tried adding Windows XP boot info to the windows 7 bootloader.

My bcdedit output in command prompt can be viewed on the Untitled-1.jpg attached.

I am fairly experienced in dealing with some of this stuff but I'm stumped. Please help!

A:Dual boot XP with windows 7 already installed

Hello, welcome!
It is unlikely you are really missing hal.dll. What is most likely happening is that XP is looking at the wrong place to boot from. You were on the right track rebuilding the boot.ini file, but perhaps you need to go farther. The fact that you are getting that message means nothing is wrong with the MBR.
What you need to do it manually edit your boot.ini file. Rembember that the drive/partition numbering starts at 0. I have attached a sample boot.ini file for you to look at. Your problem is probably the drive number.
boot.ini.txt

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/46424-dual-boot-xp-windows-7-already-installed.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Installed program, now no boot into Windows, Help needed ASAP

I just installed this a few minutes ago, and then restarted my win7 64bit computer.

http://lifehacker.com/5561303/solut...peed-up-your-system-boot-fix-system-slowdowns

When the computer started to boot up, it got up to the boot page where the colorful spheres combine to for the microsoft symbol. After a few more seconds, I BSOD and get STOP: 0x0000001E. This is the only code that may seem to help.

Update: I got this after one another restart (total of 5 restarts, just hoping it may work)
An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

I have finals this week and the computer I'm using now sucks. Please help.

-Intel Core 2 Quad [email protected]
-Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
-4gb Mushkin DDR2
-EVGA Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+
-Win7 Home Premium 64
-Standard Case Fans
-Logitech X240 2.1
-Western Digital 500gb WD5001AALS, Western Digital 640gb WD6400AAKS (somehow connected)

-Standard CD
-Raidmax Smilodon

A:Installed program, now no boot into Windows

Safe Mode

Try booting into Safe Mode. Then remove the program.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installed-program-now-no-boot-into-windows.148393/
Relevancy 48.59%

I have a Sony Vaio VPCEB C E Sony VPCEB C E updates Download updates for VPCEB C E It had Windows home premium x on it and installed xp W7 Windows first. with 7 dual boot Cannot but the hard drive went bust and I Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. lost everything I own a Windows professional x cd and license which I used as my laptop did not come with cds I would like to play some old games which do not run correctly in quot xp mode quot Anyway back on track a week ago I attempted to dual boot it using the excellent tutorial on this forum everything went fine it rebooted Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. and booted into xp x I have slipstreamed my SATA driver and net framework x everything was looking up I tried to install easybcd but it needed net framework my VAIO is capable of running xp because at the Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. above link it gives me the correct SATA driver and a utility to create a cd with the correct drivers for my software at this point I had no internet so I shut down the laptop and ran easybcd from windows I ran easybcd v and foolowed the guide once done I moved a few files across to the windows xp partition drivers mainly I had not spare cds so I used total mounter to mount a virtual RW cd drive I then rebooted the computer and selected Windows XP from the boot menu and it complained about ntoskrnl exe being invalid I sorted this out and since then it has suffered from a BSOD B I have wiped the data on it and installed xp but it would move the files onto the disk and and reboot into the BSOD To get rid of this I had to change the boot drive in W from the system reserved partition to my main C drive i then deleted the system reserved partition and now it will boot into win and complete the installation of xp but once the laptop reboots after installation to boot xp for the first time I am met with a BSOD again B I am literally stuck I have searched and searched for answers to this problem I have tried many things but they all end in that BSOD after installation I know I have the correct driver because it worked the very first time I have tried burning a second copy of the xp installation but there is no difference If I select safe mode is BSOD's at acpitabl dat my research has told me that it is due to an incorrect driver which cannot be the case because it has worked before I have a feeling it is something to do with easybcd Is there an easy way to undo what it has done Since I ran easybcd xp BSOD's I have read about putting sata into IDE compatibility mode in the bios I cannot do that my current bios R Y does on give my the option to As I say this has been happening for a week i have searched using google and read many pages but not found a solution It would be great if someone could say quot run cmd and type 'boot xp damn you quot quot but that said it wasn't a recognised command how apt

A:Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first.

Did you have a look at Option 2 here: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/265202-cannot-dual-boot-xp-windows-7-w7-installed-first.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I have my cousins boot installed. Windows into won't after Computer computer that I replaced the Motherboard in and the HD She has a Pavillion Elite that s a little over a yr old I re-installed Win bit Then I installed Computer won't boot into Windows after installed. avg free version java Word Perfect pro Roxio Creator Pro Then replaced all her documents from the old drive She came for it and took it home last night She called today and brought it back saying she couldn t get it into windows I tried to do the windows repair on startup Got message unable to repair automatically The list of problems are as follows--- same as above unknown AutoFailover Bad Disk Then I ran the Windows Restore and tried different points Got this message Details failed to extract D Etevd RmMetadata Txf from the restore point Unspecified error during SR ox I tried once more and this time got the BSOD The only other thing that installed was about windows updates Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated I don t want to have to start all over I also ran the memory test x and it came back with no problems both times nbsp

Relevancy 48.59%

I screwed up. I have a 2 HD system. Windows 7 is on HD #2 in F: partition. Installed Ubuntu into empty C: partition on HD #1. Can't boot into Windows on HD #2. Probably overwrote the MBR? To boot into Ubuntu on HD #1 I changed the order of the HDs in the BIOS.

I tried the Windows 7 Repair Disc, but it wants to add a couple of startup options, both of which have the line "Windows Device: Partition = C (439999MB)." C: is not the windows device.

How do I get out of this predicament? I'm assuming there's some utility I can run from the DVD drive. I thought about EasyBCD but was told I had to run it from Windows.

A:Installed Linux - Can't boot into Windows

When you start Windows with the installation media, select Repair. Then get to a command prompt. When you're in the command prompt type bootrec /FixMBR

You can also try bootrec /ScanOS to make sure that your OS is still listed

Bcdedit.exe is used to set the default boot configuration

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installed-linux-cant-boot-into-windows.1065249/
Relevancy 48.59%

Earlier I installed DirectX on my computer Running WinXP on an AMD About mb mem gig processor something around there After I had installed DIrectX it asked me to reboot to complete installation No big deal I reboot and after the Windows load screen I get the blue screen that tells me there is a System Registry Error It flashes up for literally seconds so I m having a boot 9.0 DirectX Installed and cant Windows now hard Installed DirectX 9.0 and now cant boot Windows time getting the error code Okay the code is c It then says quot Beginning dump of physical memory quot in the next paragraph Any Installed DirectX 9.0 and now cant boot Windows help is much appreciated If you guys need more info I will do my best to provide it Thanks edit - Oh yeah When I reboot it asks me to log into one of the safe modes previous known settings or start windows normally When I try to do any of the safe modes safe mode networking command prompt it starts listing off drivers or something pauses for a few minutes and then reboots the cpu Ah nbsp

A:Installed DirectX 9.0 and now cant boot Windows

I did some reading on the error I'm getting:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm

So I do as the directions say. I put in my Win XP cd, and after the BIOS it says 'click any key to boot from CD'. So I press a key. Then it says it is detecting my hardware configuration, and goes into the Windows Setup screen (which is blue, obviously). Then it freezes. Just sits there.

What can I do? Is there any way to save my computer?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installed-directx-9-0-and-now-cant-boot-windows.487995/
Relevancy 48.59%

I have a custom built system. windows 7 installed but it will not start up in this system. A friend put the hard drive into his system and Windows started up fine on his. I ran the memory check on windows and it never said that there were problems but you have to be able to get into windows to see the report so i can't be totally sure. The motherboard was sent back and checked by the mfg. and i doubt that the processor could be bad if it was able to install windows 7 onto the hard drive. My friend thinks it is a hardware issue, but i am conviced that it is some type of configuration issue. any advice or guidance would be grealty appreciated i have had this expensive paperweight sitting around for months and months because i am not very well versed in this field.

A:Windows 7 installed but will not boot on my system

Will the HD Drive show in BIOS?

Take a look at this posts:
Windows 7 Installation Errors : Troubleshoot Step by Step

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/202106-windows-7-installed-but-will-not-boot-my-system.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Recently installed Ubuntu to a dynamic partition I made before installing. It was separated from the main Windows partition.

Now, when I select Windows 7 from the GRUB menu, it goes about a quarter of the way through the boot animation before freezing and rebooting the computer.

Help?

A:Installed Ubuntu, can't boot Windows 7

Give me your system info and specs. Have you had any other problems with the computer? Is it even a desktop? We're going to need more information. "I broke something, fix it!" doesn't get you closer to the fix.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/installed-ubuntu-cant-boot-windows-7-a-639535.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I'm hoping someone can help me with a boot issue on my Windows 7 Professional desktop computer.

I want to encrypt the Windows partition with True-crypt but I have several hard disks and somewhere along the line the boot-file (is it BCD?) has been put on a different hard disk. I can find out what disk by looking in the BIOS to see what drive boots first but other than that I don't know what to do or how to (if required) edit the file.

Any help much appreciated.

A:Windows does not boot from the drive it is installed on.

Can you give us a screen snip of disk management ?

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/299292-windows-does-not-boot-drive-installed.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I Installed some optional windows updates one of which was Logitech and after the updates were installed and it automatically restarted I got a DISK BOOT FAILURE windows updates now Installed boot - won't INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER Installed windows updates - won't boot now so I put the windows CD in and then as it was loading windows files it Errored out with Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer Status xc e This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing Now I have tried unplugging everything USB and even only had DVD drive and SSD plugged in and I still get the error However Bios sees both of my DVD drives my TB and my gb SSD just fine and I get into them and see Installed windows updates - won't boot now partitions with gparted and everything so I really doubt there is anything wrong with my drives especially since this happened IMMEDIATELY after restarting after windows updates what do I do from here

A:Installed windows updates - won't boot now

Hello, welcome to SF!

Try a system restore: System Restore

See if that solves the problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/150186-installed-windows-updates-wont-boot-now.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Problem:

I installed windows seven and it boots up automatically without giving me the option to boot into my old vista partition.

Background:

I am sure this is something simple, but I can't get it working.
I had vista installed and I used partition magic to repartition my hard drive on my laptop.
I made the new partition come before my old partition, because I wanted windows 7 to be my primary eventually.

I think it may have someting to do with making the vista partition active, but I am notentirely sure how to do that, so if you can help me out i would really appreciate it, Thanks!

A:Installed windows seven, Now can't boot to vista.

Ok, so I did the commands in this post, except I changed the "XP" to "Vista" and it shows vista but it will not boot, it says I need to insert my vista disk..

Do I need to do that? Or is there something wrong in those commands?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/10378-installed-windows-seven-now-cant-boot-vista.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Well Im slapping myself on the head, I installed Acronis True Image Home 11 on my machine today and on reboot it now seems to be hanging on the Preparing Automatic Repair screen, nothing seems to be happening, just hangs on this screen for ages.......

troubleshooting steps so far as follows.......

tried automatic repair but fails on windows 8 bootup cd via repair
tried

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd

with no result, the error seems to be pretty early on during the boot process, I can see the windows 8 flag for a split second then it just reboots, second time it reboots it fires into the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen and seems to just hang there.

my spec is as follows.

Gigabyte Z77-D3H
3TB Main OS Drive
128GB SSD *in RAID mode with OS drive for acceleration use via Intel Smart Response Technology and Rapid Start enabled.
8GB Ram
i7 2600k CPU

Relevancy 48.59%

I need to run a Carestream driver for RVG 6500, a dental imaging sensor, and install an intra-oral camera by Runyes. I am currently using Windows 8.1 that came pre-installed on my HP Ultrabook, and even though I like the operating system, it does not install the applications I mentioned above

I would really appreciate if someone could help me resolve this issue.

Things I have Already Tried in Vain
PC Settings>Updates and Recovery>Recovery>Advanced Startup>Advanced Settings>Enable Unsigned DriversOracle Virtual Machine: The wireless network adapter for the RVG 6500 system cannot be configured in the virtual machine as it fails to provide the appropriate network driversDual boot with Windows Vista: Fails to read the hard drive for installation and does not install on portable drive

A:Dual Boot on pre-installed windows 8

Look at this thread. It's short and I think it'll give you the info you need.

Dual Booting Windows 7 with Windows 8 Pre-Installed UEFI

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/35179-dual-boot-pre-installed-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi everybody I have a problem and I searced many site for solution I have 7 after Windows Ubuntu can't boot installed a pc originally Window installed I install ubuntu to different partition When Windows 7 can't boot after Ubuntu installed computer start up Grup is loaded normally in Grup menu There is Windows Recovery and Windows loader Windows Recovery works fine but Windows loader does not work When I chose them a blank page appears then return grup menu I try to fix MBR by using Windows Recovery DVD on cmd But Windows still cannot boot By the way on recovery option My Windows is shown like that quot Windows Professionel E quot I am sure that My System Drive is C letter There is partition on ubuntu about Windows sda is about Windows Recovery Totaly size gb sda is about What I don't now t is called System Reserved Totaly size abourt Mb sda is about Windows There is no description or Label for it Totaly size gb Can Somebody Help me Please

A:Windows 7 can't boot after Ubuntu installed

Information
We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.
& made the Startup Repair CD.
startup repair disc-create

Did you make the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

To Remove Linux take look at this post:
Error 0xc0000225 on boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/221047-windows-7-cant-boot-after-ubuntu-installed.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi My installation was FAILED i have windows xp bit pre-installed in C drive I was trying to install DUAL BOOT xp with Windows in D drive NTFS using ISO image file of Windows bit ultimate present in my HHD i mounted the ISO file of windows with the help of Virtual drive The installation started normally but in the FINAL step Finalizing installation when system restarts to perform configuration etc but instead (pre 64 bit Windows 32 7 dual with boot Xp bit installed) of that i got message quot Failed to install windows and rolling back changes quot Important NOTE Using virtual dvd rom i mounted and install dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit Windows quot bit quot all right There was NO problem at all of dual booting windows xp bit and windows bit on the same hard disk on different drives so my question is Windows bit cant be dual boot with pre loaded Xp bit or tell me how to do it please i got gb ddr ram and i want to run bit dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit OS windows to utilize it maximum My system info Dell OptiPlex GX ghz gb ram ATI HD- mb Hard disk space on D Drive is GB

A:dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit

One of Brink's great tutorials to get your teeth into: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/175846-dual-boot-windows-7-64-bit-pre-installed-xp-32-bit.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I have and dual boot 1st How can installed) Windows 7 I have (8.1 8.1 already How can I have Windows 7 and 8.1 dual boot (8.1 1st installed) seen steps to do this on this forum when Windows is on the machine first but this does not fit my situation as I will soon convert my Windows to Windows because I don't want it to be OEM any more so I can transfer my whole system over to a new pc in the future via image backup I also have a full version of Windows Once I upgrade OEM Windows to Windows how can I used the full version of Windows to create a dual boot Is upgrading Windows to Windows likely to cause any problems According to the test program the only issue is Skyrim won't work any more And I saw online a Windows driver for my printer PS I would want both operating systems to be on their own separate partition FURTHER INFORMATION THAT MAY BE OF INTEREST I tried upgrading Windows OEM to Windows full version but it did not work so I reverted to my image backup to make my pc same as it was before So instead I am wanting a dual boot with Windows and Thanks for reading my post

A:How can I have Windows 7 and 8.1 dual boot (8.1 1st installed)

Hello and welcome winuserd have a look at this Dual Boot Installation - Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista it might give you an idea on what to do.
It is from the 8 forum's site (a sister site to this one) - might be an idea to join up to that as well I did and I upgraded my main laptop and the Sandy Bridge from 7 to 8 then 8.1 with just an upgrade disk (the 8.1 was a free download).

Having said that I have both the 8's running in 7 mode (look) using Classic Shell as I prefer the desktop look but they are certainly faster than my other 7 machines.

PS I forgot to say I cloned the 7 to new drives before I upgraded so that I can flip the old drive back in if things go south.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/323869-how-can-i-have-windows-7-8-1-dual-boot-8-1-1st-installed.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I installed Windows 8 RP on my laptop on another partition but my Windows 7 in C:/ got lost. How do I install it again?

A:HELP! Installed Windows 8 (dual boot) but lost Windows 7 Basic

My dual boot works, Win7Ultimate64 on C and Win8Enterprise64 on D, I just hope you did a system image or back up before installation, not unless you are sure of what you are doing.. Before Win8 installs it will ask you the location where you will have it installed, if Win7 really got lost maybe you mixed up the installation.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/8140-help-installed-windows-8-dual-boot-but-lost-windows-7-basic.html
Relevancy 48.59%

How do I do this? I tried following a tutorial in the tutorial section, but the option to delete volume in grayed out.

A:Remove Windows 10 from dual boot with Windows 7, Win10 installed first

It`s grayed out because it`s the Active partition and has the system files on it, if you were to delete it then Windows 7 would not boot anymore.

The Windows 7 partition must be made Active and the System files have to be written there before you can delete Windows 10.

The proper thing to do is backup your files, wipe out the entire drive and reinstall windows 7

Partition - Mark as Active

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/401647-remove-windows-10-dual-boot-windows-7-win10-installed-first.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi everyone I m hoping someone can Update Vista! installed, into Windows boot can't now Windows I Automatic help me out Automatic Windows Update installed, now I can't boot into Windows Vista! with this situation I ve scoured the internet for answers but with no luck so far On I replaced some faulty memory in a laptop that I had not used for ages Due to the fact that I had not used the laptop in a while there were many windows updates that needed installing over Due to the system restarting rebooting to install these updates many system restore points were created Unfortunately after installing one automatic update I restarted but was then unable to boot back into Windows Due to installing uninstalling soooo many updates software a fully-functioning restore point that would have been available was no longer available Since then I have tried running startup repair numerous times with no success startup repair recognises that there is any error but does not what it is and also the repair your computer option with a Windows Vista recovery disk neither have repaired the problem Unfortunately I am unable to login to Windows in any shape or form safe mode won t boot either so I am unable to remove this update With Windows XP I know it is possible to view installed updates and uninstall updates via the command prompt in the recovery environment is this possible with Vista I can t seem to find exactly where the update files are stored in the Windows directory somewhere in C windows softwaredistribution and if yes can you view the dates the updates were installed and what command-line would you need to use to uninstall them Sorry for the long-windedness of the post I hope someone can help as I really want to avoid a re-installation of Windows seeing that it was a Windows Update that caused this problem in the first place Thanks Chris nbsp

A:Automatic Windows Update installed, now I can't boot into Windows Vista!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/automatic-windows-update-installed-now-i-cant-boot-into-windows-vista.1044172/
Relevancy 48.59%

Dual boot XP with windows 7 on 2 Harddrives - (Windows 7 already installed)

I've read that i should install XP first. But I already have windows 7 installed and dont want to wipe that drive clean and reinstall.

Is this possilbe? To add a new sata hard drive and install xp 32bit to an existing PC running Win7 64 bit. With having a boot option at start up?

A:Solved: Dual boot XP with windows 7 on 2 Harddrives - (Windows 7 already installed)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dual-boot-xp-with-windows-7-on-2-harddrives-windows-7-already-installed.902342/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi I have looked all over for info on what will happen if I try to install windows on a new partition for a lenovo laptop that already has windows installed and this does not seem to be a common scenario nbsp TLDR I want to install windows side by side with Windows that is already installed but what I read HERE nbsp made me worried that installing windows on a windows box was not going to on a has windows boot windows dual 7 Installing machine installed that 10 already be the same as installing windows on a windows box I was going to do it from windows by mounting an iso but I could also just do it from a usb boot whatever is Installing windows 7 dual boot on a machine that already has windows 10 installed the easiest nbsp Warning You must install the older operating system first and then install the more recent operating system If you don't for example if you install Windows Vista on a computer already running Windows you can render your system inoperable This can happen because earlier versions of Windows don't recognize the startup files used in more recent versions of Windows and can overwrite them Can anyone advise as to whether or not this is a true danger or if there is a way to get around the problem This is a work machine which is why I want to do this over the weekend because I can't afford to be offline during the week testing this kind of thing nbsp Thanks for the help Luke Reasons for doing this nbsp I am a developer and my new laptop came with Windows I tried in the beginning to get some of the pre-installed bloatware removed with mixed luck tried several different reset scenarios none of them quite did it I manually uninstalled what I could but the machine has never run well despite having reasonably good specs gen i SSD gigs of ram it doesn't run as well as the year old dell of similar specs that it replaced after dying It comes out of sleep slowly and gets bogged down by visual studio and a lot of my other tools I have gone through a lot of tweak guides and disabled unused settings and spent a fair amount of time on nbsp Long story short I have a feeling a fresh install of windows will run fine on this hardware and I really don't want or need any of the features of Windows which I don't hate it just doesn't have any benefits for me especially on my developer machine and I want to install windows to see if it works better nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f4e7dfe7-60c2-4e76-a362-efab9999a47b/installing-windows-7-dual-boot-on-a-machine-that-already-has-windows-10-installed?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 48.59%

Hey Bleeping Computer How is everyone tonight So I am working on Installed 7 WONT off BOOT LAPTOP disk windows 8 Windows a Samsung Laptop MOdel Number Series NP E C - A AUS My friend in my Math class Windows 8 Installed LAPTOP WONT BOOT off windows 7 disk just bought it literally days ago from Best Buy and they Windows 8 Installed LAPTOP WONT BOOT off windows 7 disk told her they would install Windows 8 Installed LAPTOP WONT BOOT off windows 7 disk any software she needed when she paid for it but when she picked it up they wouldnt without charging her extra so they flat out lied to make a sale Anyways thats besides the point so it has Windows installed and she absolutely hates Windows So I told her I could install Windows for her and all the software she needs thats easy But here is my problem PROBLEM The Samsung Laptop WILL NOT boot from disk it will not boot from any disk I have tried Windows obviously but I have also tried Puppy Linux Parted Magic Mem Soft various other bootable disks that Bleeping Computer has given me over the years I have gone into BIOS and changed the boot priority to CD drive I have messed around with the BIOS trying to get it to boot from a disk and it wont Windows boots up so damn quick I can enter Bios by hitting F at the Samsung splash screen and I can enter BIOS but I can not find a boot menu like hitting F F F F other ones I have used in the past on other machines none of them seem to work I can not get it to boot from disk It looks like I can install windows from the desktop but if it will not boot from Disk then when it restarts during install I am worried about She Hates Windows She does not want Windows at all She doesnt want to take the Laptop back to best buy because she likes the actual laptop she just wants Windows installed I am new to Windows and this is the first time I have used it as well But the laptop Samsung will not boot any disk Do you guys have any advice for me on how to get it to boot from Disk I feel the problem is deeper than just Windows and even if I could install Windows from the Desktop in the future what if for some reason she needed it to Boot from Disk The Laptop is brand new And they didnt have the one she wanted with Windows she said they really talked her into getting windows and SHE HATES IT I dont blame her From what I have seen I am not impressed with Windows either Have you guys heard of not being able to boot from disk with Windows Or is it a Samsung problem My goal is to install windows for her like she asked But its hard without being able to boot from a CD using the CD drive I hope this is in the right forum if it is not I am trully sorry and I will move to the correct forum Thank You Windows is currently installed but we want Windows

A:Windows 8 Installed LAPTOP WONT BOOT off windows 7 disk

Hey just to let you guys know the BIOS is Phoenix SecureCore Tiano. There is a setting called Secure Boot (not sure what it does exactly) but I have not changed it, the only thing I have changed is the Boot Priority menu. If this Laptop wont boot from disk I am going to tell her to return it, and then in the future boycott samsung or any laptop maker that does not give you the option to boot from disk, This does make me angry with the future of computers I am hoping for an easy fix. My poor friend, she is totally computer illiterate(does not know how to install software at all) so I am trying to be a good friend and help her out!!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/473915/windows-8-installed-laptop-wont-boot-off-windows-7-disk/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hey guys I usually don't post much in forums because I HELP Crashes Upon PLZ Windows 7 -- Boot can figure out things myself but this is an exception My computer was working normally and perfectly as ever and it just crashed and restarted all of a sudden Then it wouldn't boot properly anymore It Windows 7 Crashes Upon Boot -- PLZ HELP keeps going automatically to Startup Repair but it won't fix it After about minutes it says quot startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically quot and it stays like that Keeps booting to startup repair it can't fix it and it restarts Repeat And repeat Here are the problem signatures that startup repair gave Problem Signature Problem Event Name Startup Repair Offline Problem Signature Problem Signature Problem Signature unknown Problem Signature Problem Signature AutoFailover Problem Signature Problem Signature CorruptFile OS Version Locale ID Extra info I was running VisualBoyAdvance GBA Emulator when it crashed I runner it several times before never had any thing like this I had a torrent which my antivirus didn't say it was a virus Still I suspect of it I would greatly appreciate a solution that didn't involve formatting my hard drive Thanks in advance MiniminGames

A:Windows 7 Crashes Upon Boot -- PLZ HELP

Hello MinminGames, and welcome to Seven Forums.

This may be able to help.

Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/169464-windows-7-crashes-upon-boot-plz-help.html
Relevancy 48.16%

hello.,
i am using windows 7 ultimate 32 bit, and when i install windows xp to install some software that is not compatible with windows 7, after i finish installing xp., the boot screen not showing options either ro boot windows 7 or xp, it just goes booting windows xp.... i have some important infos in windows 7... Please help.

A:Windows 7 not appearing in boot screen, but installed

Take a look at Method Two in this tutorial:
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/204520-windows-7-not-appearing-boot-screen-but-installed.html
Relevancy 48.16%

My system was working fine last week boot with card installed! windows graphic won't until I ve installed an additional SATA HDD windows will boot up until the windows logo after that its all black screen I ve waited for hours for some response to happen but nothing happened I ve reformatted it a few times with the same outcome I ve tried resetting CMOS a lot of times but to no avail But this evening I tried taking out my Graphics card and other peripherals and then windows boot it boots with all other accesories wifi card firewire etc and the new HDD but windows won't boot with graphic card installed! when I try to reinstall the Graphics card it goes back to a black screen after the windows logo is it a case of a busted video card if so then why does it have display I also checked the back of the Graphics card s heatsink and it has this white paste-like goo that has hardened should i clean it and apply new thermal paste i haven t reinstalled the card hope you can help me with this one guys thanks nbsp

Relevancy 48.16%

i have installed win 8 but i do not see the new boot menu or the option to boot with 8 at all. my disk look like this:

A:Installed win 8, but no new boot menu or option for Windows 8

Try this:
1) Remove Drive letter from System8 partition:
Drive Letter - Add, Change, or Remove in Windows 7 - Windows 7 Forums

2) Mark System8 partition Inactive:
Partition - Mark as Active - Windows 7 Forums

3) Run Startup Repair:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html
Refresh Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/2794-installed-win-8-but-no-new-boot-menu-option-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 48.16%

HI everyone. My hard drive failed a bit ago, so I took it to a trusted computer shop to have the work done since I don't have the time or patience right now to work on a laptop. Anyway, I had a new HD put it, as well as a RAM upgrade. I just got it back, and was expecting to be able to just insert the windows vista installation disc that came with my computer and have it work. However, the screen just remains blank and the computer makes no attempt to boot anything from the disc. I tried turning off and on the computer with the cd in the drive, to no avail. The computer does run, it just never gets past a blank screen. I tried googling to see if there was an easy solution, but I couldn't find anything relevant. Thanks in advance for the help.

EDIT- Disc is Vista Ultimate sp1

Relevancy 48.16%

Ok So I had harddrive windows partition of GB had a FC partition of GB I wanted ubuntu instead of Fedora so I struggled getting the partitions setup in ubuntu install I was goign back and forth exiting re-configuring trying to get the quot no root configured quot until I fixed it It installed fine it works except for wireless Installed now boot ubuntu, Windows wont XP Help! Now It wont let me boot into windows which works on wireless I am using grub It told me that MS windows was detected Click next to install bootloader etc Now when I try to boot into Windows XP I get this after I tell Help! Installed ubuntu, now Windows XP wont boot grub to boot into windows Code Booting 'Microsoft Windows XP' root hd Filesystem type unknown partition type x savedefualt makeavtive chainloader I dont know what this means or what to do I was thinking somehow copy the partition onto my GB drive to back up and re-install XP Could I do this wit ha boot disk like knoppix If you need anymore info I am here Thank you in advanced Dan Rippon nbsp

A:Help! Installed ubuntu, now Windows XP wont boot

Does the computer hang at this point or does it expect some input?

The correct command after chainloader +1 would be "boot"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-installed-ubuntu-now-windows-xp-wont-boot.34258/
Relevancy 48.16%

I have dual opteron 285's now both are exactly the same, I had windows 7 ultimate 64 installed and working with just one cpu, now after installing the other processor windows 7 constantly resets back to the post screen (where you would hit f10 to boot f12 for bios etc). checking the bios shows that both cpus are working, both have 4x512mb dimms making a total of 4gb of system memory. im getting results saying that windows 7 only supports 1 processor with 258 cores or 2 processors total 258 cores, neither is possible so im not sure where to go from there, trying to reinstall windows with both cpus in hangs at the loading part after windows loads files, installing server 2012 also hangs and resets back to post. what is going on?

A:installed second processor in hp xw9300 now windows won't boot

In dual CPU systems both CPUs must be a very close match. Being the same model number is not good enough. All significant specifications must match and they must be designed to operate as a pair. This is often a problem when the CPUs are not purchased at the same time. In some cases the CPUs must be purchased as a matched pair.

The BIOS can only detect that the CPUs are present. It cannot know they are capable of working together.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/367334-installed-second-processor-hp-xw9300-now-windows-wont-boot.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I on my Windows disk choice XP boot 7 installed have bootable drives Two for XP and one should be for W I had one of my XP disks as first in BIOS when I installed Windows Now when I start from my XP disk I get to choose between W and quot other OS quot This works But if I try to boot directly from my W disk it says quot no boot manager quot or something such I think I can fix the missing Windows 7 installed boot choice on my XP disk boot manager in W disk but where is that extra choice screen in XP I checked boot ini and could not see it Here is my XP boot ini Warning Boot ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems Warning Use BCDEDIT exe to modify Windows Vista boot options boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot NOEXECUTE OPTIN FASTDETECT c CMDCONS BOOTSECT DAT quot Microsoft Windows Recovery Console quot CMDCONS I think there is only one OS mentioned Nice to see this forum is up Last time I was here was

A:Windows 7 installed boot choice on my XP disk

Install Easy BCD boot manager for multiple boot options.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-7-installed-boot-choice-on-my-xp-disk-612108.html
Relevancy 48.16%

HELP I am having an issue after Win updated Logged off my machine and noticed that it was installing an update So far the updates have been flawless but when I went to turn on my computer Thursday morning no boot Ran Startup repair a couple of times and got gt Problem event Name Startup Repair gt Problem Signature gt Problem Signature gt Problem Signature unknown gt Problem Signature gt Problem Signature AutoFailover gt Problem Signature gt Problem Signature NoRootCause gt Os version gt Local ID Tried booting from Win CD and doing repair as well - no luck Tried doing an F Dell and doing hardware diagnostics - no problems found Tried doing a system restore to a time earlier about weeks and finally got it to boot into the opening quot fireflies quot and the next screen however the next screen was black and only contained the ease-of-access the quot Windows Home Premium quot text and the shutdown options I could not log in Unfortunately I have client files on this computer as part time I do graphics illustrations and windows installed boot update to after Unable web design I am extremely frustrated Rick

A:Unable to boot after windows update installed

You can download a Linux rescue disk and retrieve your files if need be. Please read this information SystemRescueCd

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/97951-unable-boot-after-windows-update-installed.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I just installed a new WD 500 GB hard drive into my DELL computer. I am trying to install windows 7 from a dvd but it will not boot. Does anyone know what the problem is. Thank you.

A:Installed new hard drive - Windows 7 won't boot from CD

Quote: Originally Posted by rambo

I just installed a new WD 500 GB hard drive into my DELL computer. I am trying to install windows 7 from a dvd but it will not boot. Does anyone know what the problem is. Thank you.

Hi. It depends on the type of drive it is. IDE or SATA. If IDE, the jumper is set incorrectly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/41648-installed-new-hard-drive-windows-7-wont-boot-cd.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello I wanted to install Ubuntu Linux on my laptop Installed Linux w/PartitionMagic and Windows=no boot for a while I finnally decided to Installed Linux w/PartitionMagic and Windows=no boot and so I arranged my disk with Partition Magic to install it It was the biggest error dead I left Gb for the Linux ext ext by Ubuntu install and Mb for the Swap what s that anyway It was recommended I did all I needed for my drive then rebooted windows and set the new Linux partition as active thought I had to do it to install it Ubuntu works well and all but Windows won t start after the boot screen it tries to run chkdisk or something like that and after it shows a dark blue screen with some error on it I can specifiy What do I need to do to set the Windows partition as active and STILL be able to run GRUB I can always reformat I just did it and kept my backup on my parents comp will lose SOME files But since it ll be the rd time in days I don t feel like it EDIT Forgot to mention that I can t see the partition on BartPE and PartitionDiskDoctor does not recognize my partition table and when I try to rebuild it it only finds the Swap partition nbsp

A:Installed Linux w/PartitionMagic and Windows=no boot

jog your memory hard; what was the specific partition magic commands you used
and in what order were they executed ... it matters.

The first thing you NEEDED to do was to reduce the existing partition AND
to create a new one for the Linux with a logical sub-partition for the swap.
btw: SWAP is the area Linux uses just like the windows pagefile...
a place dedicated to virtural memory i/o.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installed-linux-w-partitionmagic-and-windows-no-boot.33422/
Relevancy 48.16%

I just installed a new Sony dvd recorder w/ lightscribe in my older (2001) Sony Vaio pc, now Windows XP won't boot. After Windows tries to boot, I end up w/ a black screen and a pointer. The key board connects momentarily and then disconnects. What to do besides trying reinstalling my old dvd drive?

A:Solved: Installed dvd recorder, Windows XP won't boot

Hello all,
It seems no one had an answer to my problem, but luckily, I found the solution. After several attempts to boot my system , I was finally able to get Windows to start from a previous setting. What I failed to mention in my thread is that I installed several other new items, one of which is a USB 2.0 hub. At the suggestion of a co-worker, I went to the device manager to check the devices I had installed, and lo and behold, the USB hub was not functioning properly! The manager told me to remove and re-install the hub to try to fix the problem, I did, and it worked! Apparently a device which is not making proper contact with the mother board can render the system useless. I'm a little surprised the system didn't isolate the problem and post an error message to let me know immediately. Well that's all, thanks for looking. Later

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-installed-dvd-recorder-windows-xp-wont-boot.625895/