Windows Support Forum

Folder properties when sharing over network

Q: Folder properties when sharing over network

If I change the folder properties accessing a shared folder (say pictures) over my home network, will it alter the folder's properties on the drive on which it resides or just the folder on the machine I am using to access the folder?

I am accessing my pictures folder on my desktop from my laptop from the other side of my house. The pictures and videos folders are set to "general items", the customize tab of the properties on the folder is set to "general items" when I access it from the laptop. If I switch the pictures to "pictures" and videos to "videos" on the laptop, will it alter the folder in the desktop on which the folder resides?

Hope this is clear enough, Thanks for any help, I have a hard time with sharing and permissions.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Folder properties when sharing over network

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Folder properties when sharing over network

If you are able to connect to the folder, either locally or over the network, and managed to change it, then it will or should be changed. I'm sure you are not referring to doing ith with different user profiles, right? Best way is to try it and find out

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/50820-folder-properties-when-sharing-over-network.html
Relevancy 75.68%

I've got two machines laptop and pc on my home network both with XP Pro SP on them fully patched Network runs fine When I first installed XP ages ago I shared folders on both machines Over time I now only have folder shared on one machine Today I need to share some others When I right click on the folder and select sharing nothing happens except that the Explorer window loses focus as if the sharing Properties XP / in problems Folder sharing window has popped up but nothing has appeared NOTE I can share C D or any other drive but not the folders in the drive C is unshared when I try to share the folders For the machine that has the shared folder I now cannot unshare it Also if I select a folder right click and then select properties the same thing happens except on Folder sharing / Properties problems in XP C D etc where I get the properties window to appear I can copy files from one machine to the other I have rerun the network wizard on both machines and told it to share I have created a new admin account rebooted and tried from there no luck I booted up under safe mode and when I selected properties from a folder the properties window appeared yeh But it will not do so under normal mode shame I can't share under safe mode that would do for a work around I have run scannow no change I have checked the sharing service is started which it must be if I can share C I have uninstalled disabled all of my XP tweaks and other background apps eg on the laptop the aps running are Nortons firwall antivirus XP speedswitch GetRight and Brother network printer monitor Happy to post a HJT dump if anyone thinks it will help So I'm desperate Why can I not share unshare folders anymore and why can I not see the properties of a folder

A:Folder sharing / Properties problems in XP

Have you tried sharing through the computer management msc?

Go to run and type compmgmt.msc and click ok.
Expand the shared folders
Right click on Shares and click New File Share

A file/folder shareing wizard should popup just file in the fields for what you want to share.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/folder-sharing-properties-problems-in-xp-91299.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Sharing + security properties of a particular folder,

I couldn?t figure out the difference between sharing a particular folder and granting security control on it. Are these two options doing the same kind of work (attached)?

What might be the critical difference between sharing a folder and granting security control on it?

Thank you very much

Best

Jamal

A:Sharing + security properties of a particular folder,

When you share a folder or drive you give people on computers other than which the share is located access to objects within that folder or drive.

Share permissions determine what a user can do with the SHARE itself. Granting full control to a share is generally not recommended. A general rule of thumb is that you grant only the permissions required for the access needed and no more.

The security permissions determine what a user can do with oibjects WITHIN the share. Again, you would generally not grant full control, as this allows the user to take ownership, delete everything, and change permissions and could even lock everyone else out of access to the objects within that share.

I have a server with 15TB of storage. On it we have our personal folders. They are centralised for backup and purposes. The shares are called Tanya, Peyton, Trent and Public. Each share has a permission of CHANGE.

The security for these shares are set to allow access only to the person whose folder it is. Eg Peyton has Modify rights to his folder, but no one else can access it, except the administrator, and only from the server. The public folder has USERS(modify), so that we can all acess stuff in that folder.

So, SHARE permissions determine what can be done with a SHARE, and security permissions determine what can be done with files, folders, and other objects that are stored ON THAT SHARE.

hth
Tanya

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/278842-sharing-security-properties-particular-folder.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi all,

I have a wireless network set up in my house and I want to share some of the folders on my computer so that other family members can listen to my music etc. When I click to turn Network Discovery on, and click apply, it just stays off, same goes for File Sharing.
When I try to turn public folder sharing on, after I click apply I get an error message saying "incorrect function". I have shared stuff on my work network so I'm not sure what's wrong here.

Thanks
MrsB

A:Can't turn Network Discovery, File Sharing and Public Folder Sharing on

Make sure your network is designated home or work; NOT public.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-turn-network-discovery-file-sharing-and-public-folder-sharing-on.896468/
Relevancy 63.64%

I'm trying to connect my Xbox 360 to my laptop, using Vista, and there is no "sharing"d tab to allow ICS, so It always fails the IP address test. I've tried every site and googled it multiple times but still haven't gotten a solution.

A:Solved: No "Sharing" tab in wireless network connection properties

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-no-sharing-tab-in-wireless-network-connection-properties.754170/
Relevancy 63.64%

hello

i am trying to setup a home network : 1 desktop connected with ethernet cable to router/modem, and one laptop connected via wifi to same router/modem
both computers have access to the internet, and I have setup a shared folder on both computers.
the desktop pc can browse the laptop's shared folder, but the laptop can only see the desktop but gets denied access. I tried disabling both firewalls but it didn't fix the problem.

both computers are running windows xp pro sp2

any suggestions ?

thanks

A:folder sharing over network

i solved the problem, but i did several actions and can't figure out what did it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/folder-sharing-over-network.551033/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi guys

Im trying to share the folder of one computer with another computer on a local network, however the second computer has had issues accessing the folder on the first computer.

"Share this folder on the network" has been clicked and "Allow network
users to change my files" has been clicked as well

I have tried to remedy the problem using the following approaches

- Re-setting the aforementioned folder settings
- Rebooting the first computer
- Rebooting the second computer
- Plugging the first computer's network connection into another port
on the network router
- Plugging the second computer's network connection into another port
on the network router

None of these have solved the issue at all

what could be the problem?

A:network folder sharing

What Operating Systems are on each computer? (eg Windows XP Pro or Home? Or Windows 7 or 8? Are you using Simple File Sharing?
Make sure each computer has a user name and password associated with it and you do not login without a password.
On the computer you want to share, find the computer name of the computer.
On the remote computer go to Start/Run (XP, Search in later versions) and type the computer name of the computer you are trying to access, (eg) \\ComputerName and press enter. If the file is shared on the other computer, it should show the computer with the shared file and/or printers. If you cannot access this computer, then turn Simple File Sharing Off.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/network-folder-sharing-800986.html
Relevancy 63.64%

I have right-clicked a folder, selected "Share With" then "Share".

I have right-clicked a folder, selected "Share With" then "Specific people" then added "Everyone".

My computer name shows up as a list item on the left panel but does not show up as an Icon in the Main Screen.

My other computers on the network do not show the Icon or the left panel entry.

What am I forgetting?

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/62623-sharing-folder-network.html
Relevancy 63.64%

I am trying to share a folder over a home network. The problem is I can share it, but everyone on the network has access to it, which I dont want. So I attempted to set permissions for the users on the network that I want to have access to it, but XP cannot find the users, I can only find users on the local machine. All of the computers are on the same workgroup.

How can I set up this share so only certain users are able to access it?

A:Need help sharing folder over network

How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in Windows XP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-sharing-folder-over-network.547753/
Relevancy 62.78%

I am trying to configure a home network to share printers and files, but for some reason one of my two computers cannot see the other. My laptop cannot see my desktop when I go to "Network" but it can see my other wireless devices. My desktop can see everything on the network, including the laptop. I have checked all the firewalls, including McAfee settings.

One thing that I found to be strange was that in Network Properties for my wireless network, the desktop shows "networking" AND "sharing" tabs, but the laptop is missing the "sharing" tab. I think that this might be the problem.

Also, I forgot to mention that the desktop can ping the laptop, but the laptop will not ping the desktop.

Thank you for the help

A:"Sharing" tab is missing in network properties

Welcome to the forum
Some possible answers
Sharing tab is missing on Wireless network connection properties - Vista Help
http://www.winvistatips.com/sharing-...s-t117535.html

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/286407-sharing-tab-missing-network-properties.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I have set up a network shared folder on my Win machine and I can see it and copy files to it using windows explorer I m trying to use this folder as a sync or transfer folder for Folder Network Sharing Issues other computers on the network only they cannot see find the folder even though they hook to the network and ping just fine The network name is quot OFFICE quot I am pretty sure I have all the folder sharing permissions set correctly In the command prompt of the network machine I type in folder name but I get the message quot The system cannot find the path specified quot Basically I cannot find any Network Folder Sharing Issues of the network shared folders using the command prompt on the network machine None of the other networked computers can see the folders either The folder properties tab indicates that the shared path is OFFICE Droid Docs but entering that into the command prompt does not work either Network Info Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved D Users Dick gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Office Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List domain Network Folder Sharing Issues actdsltmp Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address - - D-D - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Network Folder Sharing Issues Suffix domain actdsltmp Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address - F-D - -F -A DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe c b b df a Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Saturday October AM Lease Expires Sunday October AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - -CD- E- - F-D - -F -A DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap domain actdsltmp Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix domain actdsltmp Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address e b b f fe d Pref erred Link-local IPv Address fe b b f fe d Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter isatap A B - B- C E-B F- A CE E C Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes D Users Dick gt Do any of you have any ideas of what I am doing incorrectly Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

Hi Guys, I've got a home network with 4 PCs on it using a Linksys E3000 router. All of the PCs run Windows 7.

On one of the PCs, I'd like to set it up so that a specific folder on the hard drive will be shared over the network and accessible (for full read/write) by the other PCs on the network whenever the main PC is turned on.

How would I go about configuring something like this? I have no idea how the networking functionality works.

A:Sharing a folder on a home network?

Hi 003, right click the folder you want to share, select properties>sharing, click 'Advanced Sharing', tick box 'Share this folder', click 'Permissions'. From here you can do as you want.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/168287-sharing-folder-home-network.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I just have a simple home network with a Belkin router. PC connected wired and one laptop wireless, both running Vista. I want to be able to see/modify all folders and files on each computer from either computer. I have read and read Windows help. I have private network and file sharing set on both computers. I see each computer when I look at the network map. But I cannot get anything but the public folders to show up. There must be something I am not doing. Any ideas? Thanks.

Relevancy 61.92%

I have 2 Ethernet cards on 2 computers and home network connection. Once Internet connection on second computer started to work extremely slow and I reinstalled Windows on main computer. Now Internet connection on second computer is fast, but when I try to give access to folders, it tells me that "An error occured while trying to share...The server service is not started..." From second computer I can see all files on the main computer, and I have good internet connection. So network is installed. Can anybody clarify me this issue?

Elena

P.S. Firewall is not installed, built-in firewall is not activated

A:Windows XP PRO network folder sharing problem

closing duplicate, view this thread
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=139811

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-pro-network-folder-sharing-problem.139809/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi,

I just copied all the contents of "my documents' from my XP machine to 'documents' on my Vista one.

I have a local network and can share other folders for which I've enabled sharing but not 'documents'.

I have enabled sharing on 'documents' (not the shortcut) and set permissions to 'everyone' and it looks like all is ok but I can't see the folder on my XP machine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

A:sharing documents folder on local network

Hi, redmike, and welcome to the forums.

You might could try using the Public folders - that is what they are there for....

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/165147-sharing-documents-folder-local-network.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I've read dozens with on user network Win folder Vista 7 Sharing of variations on this Sharing Win 7 folder with Vista user on network question and dozens of solutions I'm left with one problem I can't resolve and maybe someone can shed some light on it I have a file folder on my desktop machine that I must be able to access for read write from two laptops on my network The desktop is Win Home Premium One Laptop is Win Home Premium and the other is running Vista I just recently switched the desktop from bit to bit Win and prior to that the share had been working for years Since the switch I can access the folder from my Win laptop with no problems On the Vista machine I have two IDs one for me one for my wife and I can access the desktop folder from my Vista ID with no problem But can't access it using my wife's ID When I try to map the drive the error message indicates the folder is not accessible and I might not have permission to access the folder I've set up a separate ID on the desktop and used that to access the folder from my ID I try the same thing for my wife's ID logging on with the separate ID but that doesn't work I've compared the network parameters at the Vista end for the two accounts and see no difference On the laptop the separate ID set up for the folder has permission to read write I'm at a loss as to what could be different All ideas appreciated

A:Sharing Win 7 folder with Vista user on network

Quote: Originally Posted by Solo

I've read dozens of variations on this question, and dozens of solutions. I'm left with one problem I can't resolve and maybe someone can shed some light on it. I have a file folder on my desktop machine that I must be able to access for read/write from two laptops on my network. The desktop is Win 7 Home Premium. One Laptop is Win 7 Home Premium and the other is running Vista. I just recently switched the desktop from 32 bit to 64 bit Win 7 and prior to that the share had been working for years.

Since the switch, I can access the folder from my Win 7 laptop with no problems. On the Vista machine, I have two IDs (one for me, one for my wife) and I can access the desktop folder from my Vista ID with no problem. But, can't access it using my wife's ID. When I try to map the drive, the error message indicates the folder is not accessible and I might not have permission to access the folder.

I've set up a separate ID on the desktop and used that to access the folder from my ID. I try the same thing for my wife's ID (logging on with the separate ID), but that doesn't work. I've compared the network parameters at the Vista end for the two accounts and see no difference. On the laptop, the separate ID set up for the folder has permission to read/write. I'm at a loss as to what could be different. All ideas appreciated.

The following link shows how to add read/write access for the Users folder, you would need to do this on the machine's main User folder that you are attempting to access from the wife's machine.
HDD sharing

This assumes that you haven't locked down this folder from a subfolder higher in the hierarchy. I can't the user permissions for the subfolders so can only hope they are default.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/313222-sharing-win-7-folder-vista-user-network.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi,

Please assist me in setting up File/ Folder sharing network between my PC's.

1) Work Place Network
Between Desktop [XP Pro] & Laptop [Vista] - Sharing internet through Beetel 450BXi ADSL2.

2) Home Network
Between Laptops [Vista] - Sharing internet through Linksys WRT54G.

Relevancy 61.49%

I am trying to share a specific folder on my Windows 8 computer with my Windows 7 computer. They are both on the same network connected to the same router. The Windows 8 computer is connected through ethernet, while the Windows 7 computer is connected wirelessly.

Here are my settings on my Windows 8 Computer:

This is the error I get on my Windows 7 computer:
What's up with this? On a related note, is it possible to share this folder with a specific PC, rather than "Everyone" on the network?

A:Problems sharing specific folder on home network...

The issue may be related to the password protected sharing option that you have enabled on the Windows 8 machine. Can you please turn it off and possible try again.

Password Protected Sharing - Turn On or Off in Windows 8

Also, can you try and access the share using it's IP address instead of the hostname to ensure that you are being directed to the right machine. For example:

\\192.168.0.30\share

Many Thanks,
Josh

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/29652-problems-sharing-specific-folder-home-network.html
Relevancy 61.49%

My office has a shared network folder with shared excel spreadsheets used by multiple persons at the same time. We have always had slow connectivity, but after moving the shared folder to another network server (in another city) we are having major issues, to name a few:
1-Read only pops up all the time and it takes 2.54 min to go through all the read-write boxes in order to bring up the spreadsheet
2-spinning circles constantly
3-access denied, contact administrator
4-file cannot be located
5-comments in cells not saving
6-Lost data and having to restore from server
I've been told even though we are all desktop and lines to a computer room, that we wifi over to another building, then to the city where the server is located....most bizarre stuff I've ever encountered.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/393242-network-folder-excel-sharing-read-only-issues.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I'm John and I'm unable to share a folder on my PC with a specific person on a different PC on our home network I can share the folder with Everyone but Windows fails to find the specific user on our home network We have Win PCs on our home network MaryPC user account is Mary JohnPC user account is John and TheaterPC user account is JM and all are visible on File Explorer on all PCs The Workgroup name is Golden We do not use any log-in credentials to access any of Network Problem (Workgroup) on Home Sharing Folder these PCs i e no usernames nor passwords are required nor do they exist I'm able to share my Music Pictures and Video folders with Everyone with R W permissions in the Golden Workgroup However I am unable to share my Medical folder for example with Mary only When I try to share this folder with a specific person by trying to add Mary Windows responds that it is unable to find user Mary In trying to add Mary to the list of specific persons I've tried numerous combinations of Mary and or Golden MaryPC Users Mary to no avail This same problem exists on MaryPC and on the TheaterPC when trying to share a folder from those PCs to a specific person on another networked PC Sharing a folder with Everyone works fine across the Workgroup but sharing Folder Sharing Problem on Home (Workgroup) Network a folder with a specific person user on the network is hitting a brick wall Any solution ideas

A:Folder Sharing Problem on Home (Workgroup) Network

It should be \\marypc\mary

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/58544-folder-sharing-problem-home-workgroup-network.html
Relevancy 61.49%

ok guys here is what I did I followed the direction from cnet s weekend project about how to share files folders and printers thru a home network the link can be found here files/folder home printer sharing network over Help and w/ http reviews cnet com - - - html tag nav I have two computers a desktop and a laptop I have comcast high-speed cable and i use linksys router to have wireless internet on my laptop I want to share files and printers over the network Both computers run XP I made a workgroup by going to control panel network connections quot setup home or small office network quot and followed the guidelines My computer name is for my laptop and for my desktop The workgroup name is I did the setup for both computers I went to the default shared folder on my laptop and put some files in there to share and set it up so the hand icon displayed meaning that im sharing I also did this w my printer connected to my laptop and desktop The problem is it doenst seem to work When I go to control panel add printer on my laptop it shows the workgroup name and the two subcatorgies which our the laptop computer name and the desktop computer name but shows no printers if someone could help figure this out I would really appreciate it Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 61.49%

On my desktop, I have my pictures folder mapped to an external harddrive. The pictures icon still shows under This PC, which is where I want it.

I have a new laptop, also with Windows 8.1, and I'm trying for the same setup. However, when I try to set it up I can only get the icon to show in the library and not under My PC. When I try to work it to show under My PC, I get a message saying the files need to be indexed. I have tried to index them but I haven't been able to. Network files don't show as an option for indexing.

Any ideas?

A:Problem sharing folder on network drive and indexing

Nevermind. It resolved itself after a reboot.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/57440-problem-sharing-folder-network-drive-indexing.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi I have a folder of home videos that I 6.41Gb says says folder 2.67Gb, properties properties *.* back up to a USB key with Syncback The key is nearly full and I'm trying to reduce the size of that folder But here's the thing If I folder properties says 2.67Gb, *.* properties says 6.41Gb right-click on my 'Home videos' folder and select 'Properties' it tells me I have files in folders taking Gb However if I open the folder and search for to show all the files then select all right-click 'Properties' it tells me I have files in folders taking Gb Still at the bottom of the Windows Explorer window it says items selected This is the case on both the folder in My Documents on the PC and also the matching folder on the USB key Treesize also shows Gb for both folders In fact as far as I can figure what with everything else on the same USB key there wouldn't even be room for a Gb folder I've tried showing both hidden and system files and folders but there's nothing extra to see Can anyone please explain this anomaly I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure it out

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/399832-folder-properties-says-2-67gb-properties-says-6-41gb.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hello,

I'm sharing a folder on a Windows XP computer with 15,000 sub-folders/files over a small network. This folder used to be hosted in Windows Server 2003 machine. But after I made the switch to XP, accessing the shared folder over the network takes over 1 minute for the files to list.

Does anyone know what might be causing this slow performance? And is it related to the XP operating system?

Any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ralph

A:Problem sharing folder with large number of files over network

if you are using sp2 or 3 i believe this problem could be caused by a tcp connection limit have a look at this
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-sharing-folder-with-large-number-of-files-over-network-460045.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I have desktops with Windows On my own desktop AVP I am the only user admin by default On the second desktop for family use HP-P I have users including myself admin by default I created the user accounts under my sign on account and enabled sharing one way where I can have access to both user accounts for file sharing All have access to Public folders However when I view the after sharing enabling - view Folder one Missing Network user network folder in the family Network Folder - Missing one user view after enabling sharing HP desktop I only see myself jayla and one other user prana I don't see the third user darsh See attachments from each user view for this desktop Even from on my own desktop AVP in the network folder I can see the HP desktop Network Folder - Missing one user view after enabling sharing and myself Network Folder - Missing one user view after enabling sharing quot jayla quot and quot prana quot only See attachment from own desktop user view I don't think I need to go under quot darsh quot user's account and tinker with settings which doesn't make sense as I did nothing under quot prana quot user account Why is quot darsh quot user missing from the folder view under my admin account jayla The other use account prana is visible Appreciate if anyone can help Jay

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/41838-network-folder-missing-one-user-view-after-enabling-sharing.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi, is there a way to share files from only a single location on a home network? The "server" would be a Windows 7 machine. The others are 7 or 8. We don't want computers on the network to "see" any other computers, only the one w/shared files, and only that specific directory (they s/b able to add folders there).

We have a homegroup set up for printer sharing. Network discovery is currently off. Thank you.

A:Limit sharing to a single computer/folder on home network?

Quote: Originally Posted by pseudoware

Hi, is there a way to share files from only a single location on a home network? The "server" would be a Windows 7 machine. The others are 7 or 8. We don't want computers on the network to "see" any other computers, only the one w/shared files, and only that specific directory (they s/b able to add folders there).

We have a homegroup set up for printer sharing. Network discovery is currently off. Thank you.

Turning off Network discovery should prevent the other machines from seeing those machines on the network.

If you only want one file shared on one of the Homegroup machines then turn off Network discovery on all the other machines then for each folder you need to hide choose "Share With" then "Stop Sharing".

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/315428-limit-sharing-single-computer-folder-home-network.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hey there everyone Hoping you guys can give me a hand here and tell me what im missing or doing wrong Basically theres of us in a house and were hoping we can share files with each other Weve SKY broadband UK ISP and they give you a netgear wireless router as far as i know theres people on XP and on vista all connecting wirelessly to the sharing network up setting home on a wireless file/folder wireless router for internet access What I want to know is how to allow us all to share folders with each other we can do the sharing part so the files are visible on our own machines however we cannot see each others machines What else setting up file/folder sharing on a home wireless network on top of all joining the same workgroup do we need to do to be able to see each others shared setting up file/folder sharing on a home wireless network folders Ive tried using the wireless network for home or small office set up wizard in XP but get to the stage asking me to shove a flash drive in the back on my setting up file/folder sharing on a home wireless network router there are no usb ports on my router so I cannot do it this way Does this stop it being possible kinda outta ideas Any help is much appreciated cheers Alex nbsp

Relevancy 60.2%

I m sure this has been Network A sharing million folder Vista times.... Solved: Wireless over &XP asked a bajillion times but I can t make heads nor tails out of the information I ve read so far on this subject One forum suggested using routers and disabling DHCP one one of them and all this other stuff That one really hurt my tired head I know minor bits and pieces of networking so hear me out Setup Wireless DSL modem Broadcom ADSL Modem Router all Solved: A million times.... Network folder sharing over Wireless Vista &XP in one hardwired to Vista bit machine XP Machine w D-Link USB Wireless adapter Using the D-Link wireless connection software not the Windows Wireless Network connection manager Nothing going on in Workgroups XP machine except that it used to be on a wired network so it has shared folders set up All I want to do is use the wireless connection and access the Vista machine from the XP machine so I can get my music off the Vista comp I can t figure out the Vista file sharing stuff in Network and Sharing center too many options too unsure of what they do Neither computer shows up in the other s network How do I make them see each other The quot Broadcom ADSL router quot does show up under My Network Places on the XP machine but that s as far as it goes In case it matters in the wireless connection manager for the D-Link USB wireless adapter on the XP machine it shows Network Type Infrastructure not AdHoc nbsp

A:Solved: A million times.... Network folder sharing over Wireless Vista &XP

Never mind, I'm just a moron. I figured it out in like .25 seconds.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-a-million-times-network-folder-sharing-over-wireless-vista-xp.818242/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hello Friends Over the past few days I have noticed that my Folder Properties Right Click gt Properties doesn't show the 'folder size' or the 'number of files folders' the folder contains In the General Tab of the Folder Properties the following is displayed Size bytes Tab General Folder show 'Size', Properties 'Contains' doesn't Folder Size on disk bytes Contains Files Folders Everything else works fine This problem is specific to the folders In case of files all details are shown as usual In fact when I bring my mouse over the folders the tool tips DO show the folder size and also names of files they contain Also this is not because of the folder being empty or Folder Properties General Tab doesn't show Folder 'Size', 'Contains' anything as this problem is for ALL folders invariably including the Windows folder I have tried using Folder Properties General Tab doesn't show Folder 'Size', 'Contains' Command Prompt The 'dir' command can list the folder size with no problems I also have all requisite permissions as I am the admin Also UAC etc is in place Additional Details I have no problems moving folders copy pasting etc whatsoever and the computer is working totally fine Only this problem stumps me Please help

A:Folder Properties General Tab doesn't show Folder 'Size', 'Contains'

nomal and annoying behavior of Win 7.

If you really need to know the size of a folder, you can use a powershell script or, easier, for normal-user is:
Use TreeSize Free which is one my favorite little program jewels.
JAM Software - Windows Freeware

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/232408-folder-properties-general-tab-doesnt-show-folder-size-contains.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello, I'm having problems changed the properties of my folders, I want to issue one specific folder/subfolders with a password, but the 'Make this folder private' tickbox is greyed out and I cannot select it.

How can I make my folder private?

Relevancy 55.04%

Here's the on my laptop:

And on my desktop:
I just reformatted my desktop and it went missing. I want to share my internet but the option is just not there. How do I make it appear?

Thanks and reps will be given

A:Missing Sharing tab in Lan Properties in Windows 7

Check to see if this is enabled.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/59902-missing-sharing-tab-lan-properties-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Problem - Windows 2000

In Windows explorer - I right click on a hard drive - Properties - Sharing tab - click on 'Do not share this folder'

The problem is, when I reboot - it defaults to 'Share this folder'

How can I stop this?

A:Win2K - folder sharing - defaults back to sharing after reboot

bump

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win2k-folder-sharing-defaults-back-to-sharing-after-reboot.271290/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hello all When i click properties of any drive in My Computer XP Pro SP the security and the sharing tabs do not appear However when Security Sharing properties of My and tabs in Computer i open up the properties of any folder in these drives the tabs appear I have simple file sharing disabled i am also the administrator and i have attempted these Sharing and Security tabs of properties in My Computer fixes Hive HKEY CURRENT USER Key Software Microsoft windows CurrentVersion Policies Explorer Name Nosecuritytab Type REG DWORD Value ------------- gt the thread did not exist HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Control Lsa - forceguest Start Run Type services msc Click OK Scroll down to and double click Server service Sharing and Security tabs of properties in My Computer Set Startup type to Automatic Click Apply Click the Start button When it has started click OK Open Group Policy Start Run Type gpedit msc Click OK Navigate to Administrative Templates Windows Components Windows Explorer Remove the Security tab Sharing and Security tabs of properties in My Computer Set to Not Configured or Disabled They have not worked I am stumped for ideas I have reformatted today to fix previous problems that were unrelated it is unlikely that anything i have done in the last hours has done anything Thanks in advance Gabba nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-and-security-tabs-of-properties-in-my-computer.654639/
Relevancy 54.18%

I turned on sharing for the C drive and added an Everyone group in Security to allow access to my other computer on my network. When I go to close the Properties window I a message that says "You are about to change the permissions settings on the root directory of the startup disk which can result in unexpected access problems and reduce security. Do you want to continue?".

I answered yes and it went through all the folders and gave an access denied message on system folders. After if was done I got the same message mentioned when I tried to exit the Properties window. So I removed sharing and the Everyone group. But I'm still in the same situation. I keep going through the same loop and can not exit the Properties window.

A:Can't exit Properties window for C drive after sharing

Open task manager and end the process all "explorer.exe" and "rundll32.exe"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-exit-properties-window-for-c-drive-after-sharing.830109/
Relevancy 54.18%

The problem is when I right click on the hard drive in "My Computer", and click on either properties or sharing, nothing happens.
I have looked at other forums which say to run scan disk and virus scan. I have done that. I was able to run scan disk from dos. I keep getting no errors/viruses, but I still can't share or view properties. I was also able to start the computer in safe mode, start scan disk, reboot and have it run scan disk in dos mode. This still didn't work. I ran Fix-It Utilities 2000 and it still isn't fixed.

Windows 2000, current updates
McAfee anti-virus subscription
Zone Alarm Pro

A:can't access properties or sharing on hard drive

Try this Start/Run type: gpedit.msc
Navigate to-Computer Configuration/Administrative Template/Windows Component/Task Scheduler,on the right pane ,right click on "Hide property pages"and make sure it is set to either "Not Configured"or "Disabled"

Do the same for "User Configuration"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-properties-or-sharing-on-hard-drive.245187/
Relevancy 54.18%

I recently cleaned my computer of some hijackers and trojans but I m still having a problem If I right click on a file and try to select either the Properties or Sharing command it will select them but nothing opens Everything else seems to be running normally except my CPU usage is all the time Could it files. on open 'properties' Can't or command 'sharing' be the Gator related files That s the only suspicious ones left These are my Ad-aware and HiJackThis logs Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Can't open 'properties' or 'sharing' command on files. SP Running processes C WINNT System smss exe C WINNT system winlogon exe C WINNT system services exe C WINNT system lsass exe C WINNT system svchost exe C WINNT system Can't open 'properties' or 'sharing' command on files. spoolsv exe C WINNT System CTsvcCDA EXE C WINNT System svchost exe C Program Files Canon MultiPASS MPSERVIC EXE C WINNT System nvsvc exe C WINNT system regsvc exe C WINNT system MSTask exe C Serv-U SERVUD EXE C WINNT system ZoneLabs vsmon exe C WINNT Explorer EXE C WINNT System WBEM WinMgmt exe C WINNT System MsPMSPSv exe C WINNT system svchost exe C WINNT System inetsrv inetinfo exe C WINNT system mobsync exe C Program Files Common Files CMEII CMESys exe C Program Files Creative SBAudigy RemoteCenter Rc Rcman exe C email protected email protected C Popup Ad Filter PopFilter exe C Program Files AWS WeatherBug Weather exe C WindowBlinds wbload exe C Program Files Common Files GMT GMT exe C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zapro exe C Winamp winamp exe C Program Files Creative SBAudigy RemoteCenter Rc OSDMenu EXE C Program Files Creative SBAudigy RemoteCenter Rc EAX exe C Program Files Creative SBAudigy RemoteCenter Rc VRC exe C Program Files Creative SBAudigy RemoteCenter Center RCenter exe C Program Files Creative ShareDLL MediaDet Exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Documents and Settings Administrator Start Menu Programs HijackThis HijackThis exe O - BHO no name - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocx O - BHO no name - E F D A- F - D - - A CCE - C PROGRA SVAPLA SVAPLA DLL O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINNT System msdxm ocx O - HKLM Run Synchronization Manager mobsync exe logon O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE NvQTwk NvCplDaemon initialize O - HKLM Run UpdReg C WINNT Updreg exe O - HKLM Run Jet Detection C Program Files Creative SBAudigy PROGRAM ADGJDet exe O - HKLM Run ElbyCheckElbyCDFL C CloneCD ElbyCheck exe L ElbyCDFL O - HKLM Run NeroCheck C WINNT system NeroCheck exe O - HKLM Run monitr C Program Files Canon MultiPASS monitr exe O - HKLM Run LoadQM loadqm exe O - HKLM Run CMESys quot C Program Files Common Files CMEII CMESys exe quot O - HKCU Run RemoteCenter C Program Files Creative SBAudigy RemoteCenter Rc Rcman exe O - HKCU Run seticlient C email protected email protected -min O - HKCU Run Popup Ad Filter C Popup Ad Filter PopFilter exe O - HKCU Run Weather C Program Files AWS WeatherBug Weather exe O - HKCU Run WindowBlinds C WindowBlinds wbload exe auto O - Startup Winamp lnk C Winamp winamp exe O - Global Startup GStartup lnk C Program Files Common Files GMT GMT exe O - Global Startup Microsoft Office lnk C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OSA EXE O - Global Startup ZoneAlarm Pro lnk C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zapro exe O - Extra context menu item Allow Popups - C Popup Ad Filter WhiteGetUrl js O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS Office EXCEL EXE O - Extra button AOL Instant Messenger SM HKLM O - Extra button Related HKLM O - Extra Tools menuitem Show amp Related Links HKLM O - Extra button WeatherBug HKCU O - Plugin for mpeg C Program Files Internet Explorer PLUGINS npqtplugin dll O - Plugin for mpg C Program Files Internet Explorer PLUGINS npqtplugin dll O - Plugin for spop C Program Files Internet Explorer Plugins... Read more

A:Can't open 'properties' or 'sharing' command on files.

or could it be

O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-open-properties-or-sharing-command-on-files.237563/
Relevancy 53.75%

When I try to open the 'Sharing...' or 'Properties' by right clicking on files or drives, nothing opens. So I can't get in to set sharing options or look at the properties for anything. Any ideas why not? Thanks

-Jebus

A:Can't open 'sharing' or 'properties' options for files/drives

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-open-sharing-or-properties-options-for-files-drives.241018/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi there This is my first post so I hope this is in the Pictures Properties > Folder Folder right section etc I m using Folder Properties > Folder Pictures Windows XP and I ve been having problems with some MP files in regards to album artwork and tagging I ve discovered that it s my album folders that have been tagged most likely by me to have a custom Folder Picture I Folder Properties > Folder Pictures want to remove all the Folder Pictures from my music album folders Folder Properties > Folder Pictures I fear I will have to do one by one which is a LOT unless I can find a reverse procedure in the program I suspect caused this to happen That program is Tag amp Rename and I suspect I accidentally added custom pictures to these folders when I was adding album art to the individual music files ANYWAYS When in Windows Explorer and looking at the album folders in question I can right-click on them and go to Properties Then in the last tab Customise I can see a section called Folder Pictures And there I see the album artwork on the folder So I want that removed However clicking on the Restore Default button does NOTHING Could the folder be locked by Tag amp Rename or something I just tried playing with the Read Only Attributes of the folder but it seems to make no difference nbsp

Relevancy 53.32%

In programming an Internet Explorer addon for Windows prior to Vista I had designed a system whereby an administrator would set multiple data Vista between users properties common in Sharing certain properties from an application and any other user who logged on to the OS and used IE could then have those properties read by the addon The administrator setting those properties did so from a Sharing common data properties between multiple users in Vista separate Sharing common data properties between multiple users in Vista application of the product which needed administrative rights in order to run That application used the HKLM registry hive under SOFTWARE MyApplication to set the data properties for MyApplication This no longer works in Vista unless the user starts IE as an administrator which requires administrator rights due to registry virtualization I believe In Vista Imposing that requirement on the user to have administrative rights to use IE in order to use my addon is not a viable option What then is the methodology in Vista for sharing common data between multiple users who logon to Vista on a single machine at separate times using different logons Is the common data directory ie FOLDERID ProgramData accessible by all users with whatever integrity level they are running If the common data directory is the solution can I create a directory beneath the common data directory and write a file to that directory from my separate application running with any integrity level or does the application need to have administrative rights in order to do so as it is currently designed Thanks

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/185113-sharing-common-data-properties-between-multiple-users-vista.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi all,
I've some users added to 'Network configuration operator' on Windows 7x64 Pro SP1 and they cannot open the properties dialog of network interface. I've tested the KB2157332 on Windows 7 x64 Pro
without SP1 and it works, but I cannot install it on W7SP1 computer, . I'm looking a SP1 version of the hotfix but I cannot find it. 
I've read
this and
this post but still getting the issue
Any idea to solve it?
Thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bd6896d1-1e9d-49ac-955a-2492179ed728/network-configuration-operator-cannot-open-the-properties-dialog-of-a-network-interface?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello You know how you can set the properties of a folder by rightclicking and selecting properties and then under the Customize tab you can choose whether the folder is for Music Photos or Videos etc Well that ability is not available in the same way for the actual D second harddrive Somehow Windows decided to make my entire D drive a Music folder so when I m in the root folder for D it doesn t have the option to quot Make New Folder quot Instead it shows quot Play All quot and actions for Music type folders See photos It needs to be quot File and Folder Tasks quot not quot Music or Pictures Tasks Properties Help! Folder quot but how do Folder Properties Help! you change this setting on a folder or in this case harddrive if the Folder Properties do not have a Customize tab Anyone know how to fix this Thanks Post Script That is a backup for my purchased copy of said movie nbsp

Relevancy 52.03%

When I give a right-click on my folder nothing happens. Drives and files property are working correct.

Relevancy 52.03%

Guys and Gals,

I have no idea how, but I cannot access my folder properties if I either left click and hit properties or use the File / Properties option. This is a new one.

Does anyone know if there is an enable / disable for viewing the folder properties?

If you need more info, let me know.
Thanks !!

A:Cannot get folder properties at ALL

Which OS you're using would help. My first guess would be to reapply the latest service pack. Also, I would check the logs to see if something happened (software installed, security patch installed, etc.) that coincides with when this started happening. As far as I know, there is not a setting in the registry that hides properties from users. I believe that if your account is denied rights to read a file or folder, then you should get a pop-up window that states "Access Denied" when you try to display the properties.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-get-folder-properties-at-all.80986/
Relevancy 52.03%

My home pc is running slow and i wanted to do some poking around and I checked the folder properties for My Documents folder and it listed something like 3000 folders. However when I open it up there is roughly 20, at the most. Where are these other folders coming from? I do have show hidden folders. I also have a decent amount of mp3's, maybe a couple hundred folders there, but nothing in the 1000s range.
- How can i found out what all these folders are?
- Also can anyone recommend a do-it-yourself site/guide to tackle slow pc issues? I want to go thru my pc and delete all the unnecessary garbage that comes with it and what i don't need.

thanks.

Relevancy 52.03%

Hi

I have a problem where-by when I 'right-click' on a folder, the pop-up menu appears without a problem.....but when I select 'Properties' or 'Sharing and Security' nothing happens and the dialogue boxes do not appear.

I am running XP SP2 and also have Norton Internet Security. I have found that if I uninstall Norton, the dialogues appear, but as soon as I re-install Norton, it stops working again. It was working fine with norton installed before I installed SP2

Can anyone help me?

A:No Folder Properties - Need Help Please

Are u sure u are logged in as administrator rigths same for update problem

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/no-folder-properties-need-help-please-22033.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I am moving a great deal of folders from an older hard drive
to another.... How can I get the folders to keep the original
date instead the date I move the folders?
I know that I can change the date of each one, but was
wondering if there were a trick to having it not change the
date in the first place.
Thanks so much for being here.....

Xpwannabe

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/folder-properties.341869/
Relevancy 52.03%

My question has to do with folder attributes.
Every folder on my computer is marked as "Read only". Is this normal? How do I change the attribute to read/write?

Relevancy 52.03%

Hi all,

Every time I try to view folder properties it takes about 2 minutes to get the properties up, I have no idea why. The file properties and everything else work fine. I run XP pro SP2.
Thank you

A:Folder properties

Been seeing this a bit lately on some customer's computers. So far the solution has been to run several programs to remove all the spyware.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/folder-properties.287732/
Relevancy 52.03%

I have a netbook home bit win and a PC bit pro win sharing the same wired hub I want them to be entirely 'un-networked' so that no communication between them is possible I have tried to turn off 'file and printer sharing' on my PC because and printer sharing sharing auto-enabling file and Network i assume i should but when i reboot i find Network sharing and auto-enabling file and printer sharing it turned back on I've seen this problem addressed in this and other forums but no solution that i could comprehend I also have a VMP media player running off the Network sharing and auto-enabling file and printer sharing hub and would like to access video files on my PC from that device but only if that does not compromise access between netbook and PC I should add - in case it's not obvious - that i really don't have much of a clue what i'm doing and am very confused with the myriad options Particularly the 'local' 'home or work' 'public' 'all' and media streaming options whatever they are I'd be grateful if someone could explain and or confirm what radio buttons to tick to achieve what i want to do Many thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/387954-network-sharing-auto-enabling-file-printer-sharing.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello fellow tech-heads,

When I right click on any folder to try to get the properties, nothing will happen. The explorer title bar will grey out as if it becomes a part of the background, but there is no foreground properties window. I can get the properties on any individual file without any problem. Consiquently, I can't get the properties when I right-click on my hard drive to get to the tools so I can run chkdsk. I'm running an anti-virus program (Norton) and I have the most recent updates. I cleaned out the registtry using "Registry Medic", and yes, I know that it probably caused the problem, but the system runs perfectly with the exception of this one problem.

Any suggestions???

A:Folder properties won't display

Hi,

Does it work here:

Windows explorer > File > Properties

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/folder-properties-wont-display.140235/
Relevancy 51.6%

I want to add comments to my folders and I read how to do this, only problem is I have no 'Summary' tab in any of my folder properties. What's going on? Can I restore it somehow?

Relevancy 51.6%

Why is there a dot in the read only sheet of new folders that I create. What does the dot mean?
Can I create a folder without either the dot or a tick?

A:Folder properties sheet

Hello 1018509,

Read-only box = (Windows 8) Default neutral setting for a folder that is always displayed.

Read-only File and Folder Attribute - Windows 7 Help Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/32492-folder-properties-sheet.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello boys and girls.

I am new user with win 7, all time was with XP

I tried to move document & picture folders to other location(like I did it in XP) but I don't see tag "location" like on this picture.

How can I turn it on?

A:Why I don't see all folder properties tags?

Hello asker, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You may not have the "My Videos" folder opened directly from the "C:\Users\Owner" folder location.

If you like, you might consider doing what I suggested in the yellow Tip box at the top of the tutorial below instead of moving user folders.

User Folders - Change Default Location

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/289709-why-i-dont-see-all-folder-properties-tags.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I want to be able to set properties for each folder uniquely like I could in Vista XP etc I have several folders properties? to folder set unique How that I keep open at all times that have links to often used programs For example I have one folder that has all my development programs I have another that has all my Poker programs another that has all my security programs etc I find this a better way to organize my many programs than to How to set unique folder properties? leave icons on the desktop I want to be able to configure these folders differently than other folders In these folders all I want to see is a list of the programs No file sizes no dates etc and I want to be able to define the size and How to set unique folder properties? location of the folder I can do this for one folder When I open up another folder it How to set unique folder properties? now has the same properties as the last - and I don't want that to happen I want to set my normal file folders one way and my program folders another I have the following folder options set Open each folder in its own window Launch folder windows in a separate process Restore previous folder windows at login The attached image is how I want my program folders to look My file folders I to leave as normal W Ultimate

A:How to set unique folder properties?

You could try ShellFolderFix

http://www.sevenforums.com/customiza...ions-size.html

It remembers the size/position of your folders for you (as it was in XP)

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/74646-how-set-unique-folder-properties.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have noticed that when I go to properties on a Folerer, I have all these accounts listed.

SYSTEM
Devin(Secondary-PC)Devin
HomeUsers(Secondary-PC)\HomeUsers
Administrator(Secondary-PC)Administrator
Account Unknown (S-1-5-21-2825559171-452586877-33292355121-1400
Account Unknown (S-1-5-21-2825559171-452586877-33292355121-1600

Occasionally I also show: WMPNetworkSvc (I have WMP disabled on startup)

What are all these account and are there any I can delete???

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/security-tab-properties-of-a-folder-678128.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Alright here's the deal. Running windows xp I want to get the security tab in folder properties working. I have already done a quick and easy reg edit on the guest key but that didn't help. . .Any ideas?

Another problem. . .I see no "Use Simple File Sharing" option in my "My Computer" folder options > view. . .
Thanks in advance
-Ivan

Relevancy 51.6%

hi ive been using WIN SE since day one and i still am last week i bit the bullet and bought a nice little laptop that runs WIN-XP system i tried Vista amp it wasnt for me anyhow so far so good ive used XP with my old BASE computer before to run only xp programs so its not completely new to me but i keep finding descrepenies folder not in shown properties xp that slow down my progress today ive copied some pics from my camera phone to a folder on My Docs pretty boring stuff but when i open the folder i scratched my head folder properties not shown in xp i had just done a batch conversion amp became very confussed trying to see what had happened hadnt noticed folder properties not shown in xp till now but at the bottom of the folder there s NO INFO about how many files how big is the folder in WIN i took it for granted damm ive been searching for over an hour on the net for a clue no joy more TIME WASTING thanks Microsoft your a great help so any clues on how i can set up my folders ive done the usual stuff like quot show all files quot amp looked round the property box but cant nail it my set up may be the problem but i dont see why perhaps ive missed something im using STD windows set up rather than XP as im so used to the old way i can get the properties from the menu but id rather have a folder size view on opening lasooing amp right clicking is FAR too much work in every folder if any of this makes sense any clues guys thanks russ folder properties not shown in xp nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

Recently my Win2K stopped displaying the properties of a disk or folder. Previously, I could right click the object (disk/folder) and the properties (such as size in MB, etc) would come up. Now, nothing seems to happen when I right click and then click "Properties". How do I get that functionality back.

My Win 2K is current with all of the patches, etc. since 10/10/03

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-cant-see-disk-or-folder-properties.171015/
Relevancy 51.6%

Running XP, when I right click and select properties to view folder properties (like size, etc.) nothing displays. No new window opens, nothing at all. Will only open actual file properties. Also, every time I restart, I have to release and renew my ipconfig to be able to access my LAN and internet. Thank you.

A:Folder properties and networking

It is possible that somehow the Right Click context menu got disabled. Kelly has a fix for this.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Scroll down to 56, it is in the second column (on the right).
Enable or Disable Right Click Context Menu

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/folder-properties-and-networking.423964/
Relevancy 51.6%

Does anyone know why when i open the properties of my folders or other things have really tiny tabs at the top? None of the options buttons have no words. The boxes where you type into are either a tiny cube or a thin line. I have searched all over and cannot find anything on this. I am running Windows 7 and the problem just started. It also does the thin type in boxes on some websites. Can anyone help or has this happened with anyone else???

A:Properties folder Problems???

Quote: Originally Posted by Greenfox74

Does anyone know why when i open the properties of my folders or other things have really tiny tabs at the top? None of the options buttons have no words. The boxes where you type into are either a tiny cube or a thin line. I have searched all over and cannot find anything on this. I am running Windows 7 and the problem just started. It also does the thin type in boxes on some websites. Can anyone help or has this happened with anyone else???

Welcome to the forum,

Can you take a Screenshot and post that so we can see what you're talking about better.

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/114502-properties-folder-problems.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi. I'm on Windows XP Home.

I would like to prevent an installer from deleting files that it puts in a particular folder. Is this possible? The installer encounters an error at the end of the process and deletes everything. It was suggested to me that if I could find a way to "keep" the files, I would be able to get things working.

Any ideas?

Thanks..

A:Folder Properties question.

If the installer choses to delete all the files after the error then there is no way to keep them. Unless you know how to re-write the installer exe file but i wouldnt suggest that.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/folder-properties-question.226183/
Relevancy 51.6%

can anyone tell me why vista does this when you try to move files or copy then off my computer[are you sure you want to copy this folder without its properties],coz its driving me mad and you download a file and it downloads it but without any,exe file so you cant run the programme.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/are-you-sure-you-want-to-copy-this-folder-without-its-properties.772407/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi,
can somebody enlighten me how to make a folder view permanent.
Somehow my vista pc doesnt remember the folder view settings i set for a directory folder. Its nagging me. rookies out there - please explain.
many thanks in advance !

regards,
http://www.spaceboy.in

A:Folder view properties - how to fix

Check out post #2 by Kieth.
Stop Vista changing folder view due to folder content
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-6bd13d80b899/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/folder-view-properties-how-to-fix-356091.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello, I just receive my new desktop with a brand new windows 8, after I successfully installed and activated windows it seems I can't connect to my network neither access its properties. I am actually using my phone as a wifi adaptor through easytether and I already tried to (re)install different driver for my Ethernet card but it makes no difference. I don't think easytether could be the cause but I can't connect to any bank website, facebook, hotmail, I can't download and install google chrome and I can't use windows update (I though it could have fix few of the issues). I don't know if I posted this thread in the right place since so many things are malfunctioning but I'll be glad to have a bit of help here. cheers

A:Can't access network properties,can't connect to network

Originally Posted by sogefurter

Hello, I just receive my new desktop with a brand new windows 8, after I successfully installed and activated windows it seems I can't connect to my network neither access its properties. I am actually using my phone as a wifi adaptor through easytether and I already tried to (re)install different driver for my Ethernet card but it makes no difference. I don't think easytether could be the cause but I can't connect to any bank website, facebook, hotmail, I can't download and install google chrome and I can't use windows update (I though it could have fix few of the issues). I don't know if I posted this thread in the right place since so many things are malfunctioning but I'll be glad to have a bit of help here. cheers

If you can post a screen shot of the ipconfig/all from this machine it would be most helpful.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/28860-cant-access-network-properties-cant-connect-network.html
Relevancy 51.17%

A rather odd problem...I updated SpyWare Blaster 3.0 and now my folder properties won't pop up when I right-click on any directory. When I right click on the desktop or anywhere else, the popup menu dosen't lock up my system. I tried to do a system restore that was taken before the upgrade, but it didn't fix the problem. Uninstalling the program won't work either. I know that there is a system command that will check the integrety of your OS files, but I can't remember the command line. Other than that small problem, the OS (WinXP Pro) works fine and all of my programs work as they did before.

A:folder properties locks my system

Click start/run

Type: SFC /scannow

Note the space between SFC and /

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/folder-properties-locks-my-system.216080/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello,

I am using Win XP Pro Version 5.1.2600, HotFix Q811114. My problem is that when I right click a folder and select properties, nothing happens. The properties dialog works just fine for files, shortcuts, drive letter icons, everything else etc... it just does not appear when I am trying to get folder properties.

If it will be of help in diagnosing the problem, I can submit a HackThis log or any other log anyone may think would be helpful.

Thank you in advance and best regards,

-- Vicarious

Relevancy 51.17%

HP Media properties results folder strange Center m n xp mediacenter sp AV windows live one care Current problem is a wrong tv card driver installed by a helpful friend Driver will not uninstall without freezing the machine Now it is my turn I have a path mapped out to fix the issue but I ran into something I cannot craft a google query that can find I have never seen it before in windows Planning to do a simple file strange folder properties results backup as well as an image backup I wanted to check the size of the users documents and settings space When strange folder properties results I went to check the size of the quot C Documents and Settings users name quot folder I did a right click and chose properties The usual box pops up and it starts counting up the files and folders It keeps counting until it starts showing absurd results It keeps going At aprox files and folders I close the window I try another directory I close this one strange folder properties results when it exceeds the number of megabytes in the partition The user has lots of files but no where near the numbers indicated Drilling down in the directories shows only the usual suspects and the expected amount of files and folders Mounting the drive on a live linux cd shows nothing unusual and counts the files and folders as expected I will do a full drive image first and make sure it can be mounted on a linux box and restored to a spare drive but I am curious if anyone has seen this behavior before and whether it is associated with any malware or rootkits I plan to scan it as soon as I know I have a good backup and two sets of recovery dvd s

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273498/strange-folder-properties-results/
Relevancy 51.17%

So here s what I m going through now I have about Gb of Batch Edit Folder Properties? to Is Way a There music on my computer This is what I am attempting to do Music Folder gt Artist gt Album s gt song files extensionFor the Album s folders I want the template to be quot Is There a Way to Batch Edit Folder Properties? music quot and with details view For the main Music Folder and all Artist folders I want them to the quot general quot template with Icon view half way between large and extra large What I have done so far Select my main Music Folder set it to quot music quot template and checked apply to sub-folders Apply and OK Refresh Set the view to quot details quot go to Organize gt Folder and Search Options view tab apply to all folders of this type Select the main Music Folder again set it to quot general quot template without apply to sub-folders checked and hit apply Changed the view of main Music Folder to quot icon quot view So far it is Music Folder general template gt Artist music template gt Album s music template gt song files extensionNow here s the problem if I change the Music Folder to have general items template and apply to sub-folders it s going to also apply it to the album folders I don t want it applied to I tried selecting all of the Artist folders at once and right-click edit and change to quot general quot template without checking the apply to sub-folders but it will not batch change all of them and will only change the one that I click on Without this simple ability I am going to have to manually select all Artist folders and individually change each one to general So is there a way to batch edit this at all either in Windows or with a third-party program really any way at all

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/465825/is-there-a-way-to-batch-edit-folder-properties/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello boys and girls.

I am new user with win 7, all time was with XP

I tried to move document & picture folders to other location(like I did it in XP) but I don't see tag "location" like on this picture.

How can I turn it on?

Relevancy 51.17%

I recently upgraded my SpywareBlaster software from to and now I can t access menu options on any file folder on my Windows XP Pro I know that it added or changed or added a registry key but I folder display properties won't File don t know where to go in the File folder properties won't display registry to look for the problem I know that File folder properties won't display the file folder is a class but I don t know the extension If I highlight any file along with a file folder I will get a drop-down menu and can use my choices in the File menu in Windows explorer This problem happened after I installed the software I did not do a spyware check and I realize that some spyware software will think that the registry key is spyware but this is not the case since the problem only occurred after I installed the software I have Norton Systemworks and several registry cleanup repair utilities and I ve tried them all with no success I ve run a system file check and system restore before the software install but with no success I am spyware free and virus free I have tried to do an upgrade on a Windows XP install but no success I know that the next possible solution would be to do a clean install but I would like to try and avoid that if at all possible It s more a matter of incontinence since my OS and other programs work perfectly and the startup shutdown doesn t yield any stop errors nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

When I complete a re-install of windows 8 I always redirect my personal folder locations to my second hard drive. That way I don't need to move files back and forth but now something happened in the process of setting my pictures folder location. There was no sign that anything was wrong but only a blank icon with no text and I'm unable to click on it. The redirect did not work and now there is a "dead" icon where my picture folder should have been.

Now I'm not talking about the library but personal folders under the user folders in C:\. I need someone to show me how to fix this in the registry because it is completely f'ed up for no reason.

A:Personal Folder Location Properties

How to move User folders to 2nd drive in Windows 8? - Microsoft Community

LOL funny how that happens...
I think I may have fixed the problem. I typed the new location as E:Pictures and it should have been E:\Pictures. Why doesn't windows allow us to fix this vary little mistake without having to edit the registry? I will restart and let you guys know if that did fix it.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/24680-personal-folder-location-properties.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I'd like to be able to change the location of the Desktop folder quickly. I like to set the Desktop to the folder of the project I'm currently working on.

How can I make a shortcut to the Desktop folder's Properties (Specifically the Location tab)?

THANKS!

A:shortcut to Desktop folder properties?

Do you mean folder options in control panel? If so, right click on it. There should be an option to create a shortcut. Doing so will create a shortcut on the desktop.

If I'm not understanding you, could you please clarify what you mean?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/94453-shortcut-desktop-folder-properties.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I was making some adjustments on some computers. All are running NT4. What I did was go to folder options in My Computer. I went to reassociate the 2nd jpeg option to open with IE5. I got it to work on 3 machines, but one machine gave me problems. Even though I associated it with IE, it still opens with Photo Editor. Is there something I can do to bring it back to the original configuration and try again? Any help would be appreciated.

A:jpeg properties in folder options

Look in the registry under HKEY_Classes and then .jpeg. This will contain the associated files for this file type.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/jpeg-properties-in-folder-options.44507/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello Everyone I have just rebuilt my computer and seem be having a few problems What s new huh I ll post my issues separately This particular issue has to do with getting the properties of a folder to come up when in Windows Exploder My Computer and I highlight a folder then do a RMB and select properties nothing happens There are no errors no nothing My first thought was permissions but I am an admin In fact the same thing happens logged in on the administrator account Is anyone familiar Folder File working (XP) not Properties with this Do you know how to fix this If so can you explain to me in detail how to fix the problem As my login suggests I know very little when it comes to figuring File Folder Properties not working (XP) out OS related problems As for what I have installed on my computer XP Pro w SP amp Critical updates up to SP SP is not installed because of another problem Anti-virus Firewall - Norton Internet Security ATI Radeon Graphics Display Driver XP version from ATI web page Logitech iTouch amp MouseWare for Wireless Keyboard and mouse File Folder Properties not working (XP) The computer itself is forgive me if I get some of the terminology wrong Self Built AMD GB Gig Ram Radeon Video Card Couple of hard drives GB amp GB Sony DVD - RW DVD Rom I think that s everything anyone would need to know to see what I m working with Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Jim

A:File Folder Properties not working (XP)

First off, congrats on the rebuild. Some people would not even attempt that.

For the sake of argument, if you have the computer up and running, then all of the hardware is finished. This is one of the biggest obstacles to overcome, so once again-great job!

Now to your specific problems on seeing the properties of a folder. If it can not be done as admin, then have you tried it in Safe Mode? It is likely a setting that needs to be changed, but this is usually associated with additional software that has been installed.

Lets narrow the possibilites of this. Have you installed anything (outside of your XP updates), since your rebuild? Also, has there been a time that it did work, but suddenly it stopped working?

When you right-click any folder, what are some of the other selections that you have available?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/12333/file-folder-properties-not-working-xp/
Relevancy 51.17%

XP Pro
Suddenly I am unable to view folder properties if I right click on a folder and choose properties the item just closes - any ideas?

Now have found that if I stop the inetinfo process I can view properties - some kind of prob opening the security tab??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-view-display-folder-properties-xp-pro.318805/
Relevancy 51.17%

I am new to this forum and would like some help on a folder properties issue. All my document folders like Pictures, Music, Documents, etc. have been redirected to a different partition than C:/ All except for the Videos folder as there is no Location tab in the Properties window. I searched other threads but have not found a solution. Could someone please help me out here?

A:Missing Location tab in folder Properties

Hello Kheyno, and welcome to Vista Forums.

There may have been a mistake made when moving the Videos folder. This should be able to help though.
Backup anything that you do not want to lose in the Videos folder to another location.Restore the default Videos folder location (Option Three).Delete all Videos folders including any at C:\Users\(user-name) and in the Start Menu.Type shell:My Video in the Start Menu search box and press enter.Restart the computer to apply. It may take a couple of times before you see the default Videos folder back.Now try to move the Videos folder to the other location again if you would still like to.Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/262770-missing-location-tab-folder-properties.html
Relevancy 51.17%

when i right click a folder on my network drive and choose properties the files and folders and the sizes just go up and up forever! see attached pic for example. there is no hope in hell theres almost the same amount of folders as there is files in there and the same goes for the size its nowhere near that.

A:whats wrong with my folder properties?

Quote: Originally Posted by totalguy

when i right click a folder on my network drive and choose properties the files and folders and the sizes just go up and up forever! see attached pic for example. there is no hope in hell theres almost the same amount of folders as there is files in there and the same goes for the size its nowhere near that.

Are you running a good Antivirus app? Strange things like this are often caused by virii!

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/78506-whats-wrong-my-folder-properties.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I have a folder with a saved webpage on it on a DVD that I am trying to copy to my computer, when I try it first tells me that I need to provide administrator permission to copy the file (I thought I was admin). Then when I click continue it says:

"You need permission to perform this action

You require permission from Everyone to make changes to this file"

And all I can to is keep hitting Retry...
If I try to take ownership of the folder I run into another problem, when I right click the folder and go to properties, there is no security tab, just General, Sharing, and Customize.

And if I uncheck the Read Only box, I get Access Denied!

HELP!

A:Can't take ownership of folder - no security tab in properties

Some antivirus softwares (particularly Norton) can cause the message "You require permission from Everyone to make changes to this file".

Disable the antivirus.
Try the copy function again.
Re-enable antivirus.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-take-ownership-of-folder-no-security-tab-in-properties.1046689/
Relevancy 50.31%

I was experimenting some settings on Windows folder > Properties > Security TAB and then i suddenly i forgot how to set it back to the previous settings.

How can i restore the default settings on the security tab?

Thank you very much.

A:Windows folder > Properties > Security TAB got messed up

Hello Jan,

Do you remember what changes you made?

If not, then you could do a system restore using a restore point (if available) dated before you changed these settings to restore them back to default.

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/261510-windows-folder-properties-security-tab-got-messed-up.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hiya...

I have two hard drives C, and D. When I open either of these drives right click on a folder and select properties nothing happens at all. When I go to properties of the C or D drives themself, nothing happen.

When I go to the properties of a network computer, any file with an extension, shortcuts etc.. the properties come up.

Whats going on?

Thanks in advance

-Saber-

Relevancy 50.31%

i did a backup of my doc,pics,and favorites on my ext hd. when i right click on the properties for the ext hd it says there are 21.3gb being used but when i open the drive and check the properties of the 1 folder there it says it is only 5.69gb. what could be happening here? thanks

A:ext. hd properties and and actual folder capacity disagree

there may be some files in a hidden recycle bin. if you go to organize then select folder and search options,then choose view tab in the pop out window,then check the box "show hidden folders , files and drives" then look in the external and see what the size of the recycle bin is , you can clean it out using ccleaner i got back 50Gb that way

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/122885-ext-hd-properties-actual-folder-capacity-disagree.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi,
I have asked this question in another forum and thought this would be a better forum to ask this question.
I have 1 user who logs on with the user name reference. She recently logged on to find that all of her folders and files where no longer in My Documents, Downloads etc. When I search the properties and location of these folders they have a path to C://users/staff/documents.
I am trying to have her folders and files located in the correct places. There is no user named reference any where on this pc. The only place that user name appears is on the log in screen. I did a search for the name reference and the properties of the docs
pointed to the staff account.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4e1cc6bc-9339-44c6-ae2b-5653bd10dda6/users-folder-properties-point-to-another-user?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 50.31%

I am trying to share an Outlook 2007 Contacts folder in order to print envelopes from a list of about 500 addresses through Word. When the "sharee" right clicks the folder and selects Properties, there is no tab called "Outlook Address Book," thus making the option to "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" is unavailable. Apparently, there was a work-around for Outlook 2003, but it clearly states that it will not work in Outlook 2007.

I need to have more than one person with the ability to maintain this address book, but certainly not everyone that would see it through the Exchange server as a global folder. Can this shared folder be made available as an e-mail address book, or is my only option a public or global folder? Can the editing capability for the public or global folder be designated, and to more than one user? And restricted to other users?

Relevancy 50.31%

i just got a new laptop with windows 7 on it. i wanted to copy a folder of files for one of my games that i played on my windows xp computer to my new windows 7 laptop. i needed to uncheck the read-only in the properties so it could work on my game. i uncheck it, hit apply, hit apply again, then ok. it closes. i open the properties again and the read-only appears to still be unchecked. can you please help me,

thank you.

Relevancy 50.31%

Hey folks!

On my desktop (Windows 7 Professional), I continue to have this program icon that always reappears on my desktop. I can move it and delete it via recycle bin, but whenever I put the computer to sleep and wake it back up or reboot it, the icon reappears on the desktop, forcing me to delete it again. It's gotten to the point where it's a huge pain. Here are a few screenshots.

The first one, shows my desktop with the placement of the icon. It comes back here no matter what I do, each time I log on. The 2nd and 3rd screenshots show the folder path and the location of the icon. Notice, how it shows my name and then desktop. I figure this is the reason behind it continuing to show up on my desktop. All I want to do is change the location and folder path, so it doesn't keep showing up. Please help!

A:HOW TO: How to change icon properties/Folder path

My Avast, when a certain function is turned on [something to do with having a secure place on the hard-drive similar to IdentityGuard's sandbox-like browser], it always always placed that particular icon on the desktop, without fail. You just might have some similar setting or built-in setting in that program you displayed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/365222-how-how-change-icon-properties-folder-path.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi

When I am in Explorer and Double Click a Folder to open it the folder doesn't open but the Properties Dialog box appears...

How can I stop this when it happens.

Perhaps I am hitting a key combination to cause this behavior. I'm not to sure..

Thank you..

A:In Explore Double Clicking a Folder gives Properties

Sounds like your left click is reversed with the right. If you are doing a left clikc do a right click instead. This can be changed in Conrtrol Panel Mouse

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/89947-explore-double-clicking-folder-gives-properties.html
Relevancy 50.31%

This is rather strange.

I'm running Windows 2000 Home. If you're running the same OS and you have music on your computer, you'll know that Windows has an option to set a folder so you can sort your files by artist, year, music type, etc. Well for some reason, all my folders, including My Documents are being sorted like that. I can't seem to change it, even if I right click and change the properties, it just keeps coming back. Also, Windows seems to be forgetting my settings altogether, if I ask for it to display a folder using thumbnails it does it, but once I leave the folder, it forgets what I said, and goes back to the old setting .

Please help.
Jeff

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-folders-all-have-music-folder-properties.511334/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi There I'm new to the forum so Hi all OS Win Home SP Recently discovered in the security properties of certain Folders files have x unkown user 'S- - - xxxx' I am able to remove the unknown users but there are far to many folders to xxxx properties Folder User unknown in S-1-5-21 manually remove from all Am curious to know if this is some kind of security risk and is there an easier unknown User S-1-5-21 xxxx in Folder properties way of removing the users Also noticed if I create a new document within 'documents' in my library then the unknown users appear in security properties Yet if I create a document on my desktop I only get sytem user admin users created if i then copy this to 'Documents' Folder in 'libraries' again the 'unknown user s- - - xxxx' are present in security user group I have run several thorough virus malware checks but found nothing Also have not created any users apart from my own and am not part of any Domain Any help regarding would be much appreciated as after searching the web am seeing conflicting advise unknown User S-1-5-21 xxxx in Folder properties

A:unknown User S-1-5-21 xxxx in Folder properties

Quick update. Have now removed the unknown users from the parent folder 'My Documents' found in libraries. This has removed all unknown users from folders/files found in 'libraries\documents' so problem solved.

Would still like to know where these unknown users originated from though?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/299132-unknown-user-s-1-5-21-xxxx-folder-properties.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I am running on Microsoft Xp Pro and those darned folder properties will no display when i right click on a folder and select properties I can click on individual or multiple files and get their properties but not the properties of folders Although i have seen this Sort All Remedies Have Folder of Displaying, Properties Not Tried or similar posts on this problem I have tried their methods of fixing the problem but the problem persists Methods tried include try control panel then folder options and click on restore defaults open Folder Properties Not Displaying, Have Tried All Sort of Remedies the services panel in Administrative Tools Can you open the properties page for remote procedure call You Folder Properties Not Displaying, Have Tried All Sort of Remedies might have the rpcss service disabled If you can t get the properties page for that Run Regedit and navigate to the key HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM ControlSet Services RpcSs Look in the right hand pane for Start Is it a data value of Restart the computer Go to Start gt Run gt msconfig gt startup tab and uncheck everything that seems unimportant If that fixes your issue start each one back up one at a time to find the culprit Any and all help that does not include the above suggestions would be greatly appreciated Confused nbsp

A:Folder Properties Not Displaying, Have Tried All Sort of Remedies

I have seen one tweak utility that claims to be able to disable folder properties, but nowhere can I find a policy edit to do so, and I have the most extensive list of them I know to be available.

If you have a web server running and Norton Internet Security, you might want to take a look at this thread, or at least know that this is a problem others have run into and only one seemed to find a solution.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&newwindow=1&th=280a3ebb15ef2ff5&rnum=24

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/folder-properties-not-displaying-have-tried-all-sort-of-remedies.156768/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi, I have accidentally noticed that i cannot open any folder, HDD end else properties.( right click --> properrties). I can do this on single files.

If any one can offer me any solution for this problem it would be great. Its, really anoying.

Windows 7, intel atom 1,6ghz, intel graphics. If something else is needed just let me know.

Actually i have noticed that i cannot access properties nowhere, folders, files, i windows programs like "lusrmgr". Please help with this one.

Thanks.

A:Can't open any folder properties, or customize folders

Hello Colouny,

You might see if doing a repair install may be able to help fix this.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/11668-cant-open-any-folder-properties-customize-folders.html