Windows Support Forum

WEP network security key changes when viewing

Q: WEP network security key changes when viewing

When I click 'show characters' when viewing my network security key on my wifi connection, the security key is completely different to the one i originally added and is set on my router.

This isn't causing any problems, its set to auto connect and does so fine, and still does if I re type in the original key. I was just wondering why this is happening?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: WEP network security key changes when viewing

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: WEP network security key changes when viewing

wasn't set properly re run configuration to set your actual key if not anyone can connect

I found this the hard way I set key and password and to my suprise it was open connection for all

Had to go through it again and cut -off the freeloaders

After re configuring my router and code it took place and i can see the network under the name i made

If you dont correct it soon you will be open to anything

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/210110-wep-network-security-key-changes-when-viewing.html
Relevancy 50.31%

using a Westell c90 router

using a netgear switch on a LAN with

Server has External Static IP

would like to be able to view a security WEB CAM through on the Network behind the Router on a 192.168 Internal IP - instead of buying ANOTHER static IP :approve:

Also what extra security initiatives should be added :blackeye:

A:Viewing a security WEB CAM on LAN through a Router

Similar to what I am looking at setting up to see what my pets do during the day.

Are you going to use an IP enabled webcam, or hook a webcam to a computer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/viewing-a-security-web-cam-on-lan-through-a-router.25880/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi Forum,
I'm a student whom have been spending 2-3 hours or so to find a network security incident that affects the 3 fundamental goals of network security such as

Confidentiality
Integrity
Availability

So far i'm only able to find some network security incident as such code red which only affect the most 2 of the fundamental goals of network security. 
May i seek any help and assistance for anyone whom have any idea on example of network Security Incident that affect 3 fundamental goals of network security.
Any help, tips of assistance would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518155/network-security-incident-that-affect-3-fundamental-goals-of-network-security/
Relevancy 48.59%

I guess I need to explain today my teacher was abusing his network administrator privileges by using some program that allowed him to see what I had on This Odd network viewing an is one: Anti my computer screen on his computer He also has the power to stop all of my input like my mouse and almost all of the keyboard shortcuts I know At first I was impressed by this but then I said to him I ll bet you I can beat it He laughed and said This is an Odd one: Anti network viewing have fun with that so here I am First I need to know what this program is called because I d like to get one for my home network and Second is there any software out there that can block him from doing this again I already know about unplugging the CAT network cable but that screws A LOT OF STUFF up because we run almost everything through the network Oh and don t worry about if I need Admin privileges or not we figured out how to do that years ago nbsp

A:This is an Odd one: Anti network viewing

Getting access to the TCP/network traffic is one thing but seeing the screen and
controlling/watching the mouse is another. Yes there are programs like this but
the better ones cooperate with the user, not fight or 'spy upon' him/her.

Techspot does not condon or support these activities while your teacher has the
need and authority to perform as he/she wishes.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/this-is-an-odd-one-anti-network-viewing.89380/
Relevancy 48.59%

I have a network at the office that has 15 computers on it all running Windows 7. Everything has been working fine but I have something very strange happening right now.

I am putting a new computer online and when I go to the network window only 7 of the computers show up and unfortunately the file server isn't one of them so I can't establish a connection to the shared files. All the othe computers in the network are showing the same thing in the network window. Since they already had maps to the shared folder they are still able to access files through that mapping.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/380583-viewing-network-computers.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I'm preparing to set up my XBox to my W/LAN using a spare Belkin F5D7230-4 as an access point connecting to the Linksys WRT54G. The set-up will be something like this:

Cable - Cable Modem - WRT54G - PC

Laptop with built-in Wireless----

Xbox - Belkin F5D----

Belkin have supplied me with instructions on setting up the router as an access point, and mentioned needing to set it to an IP in the Linksys' Range.

Now, the Linksys defaults to 192.168.1.1, so can I set the Belkin to 192.168.1.254, or any 192.168.1.X?

Also, how can I see all the devices connecting to the network on one machine? For example, would I use the PC to see and identify the network devices: Router, Laptop, Belkin, etc., or would I use the Linksys' interface?

Thanks for any help, guys.

A:Viewing Network Items

You can log into the Linksys, and look at the DHCP logs. It will show you all of the active DHCP Leases. It won't show up any static IPs. You can try something like "[email protected] Network Monitor". I googled it, and it looks like it will scan you LAN for nodes.

Jim

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viewing-network-items.491493/
Relevancy 48.59%

I just switched computers, upgraded from XP to W7. I had "Linksys Easylink" on my only computer, but can't seem to find the disk. It brought up a diagram of network status, showing my Wii, WRT54G, Computer, & Phone adapter. Is there "somewhere" in W7 that brings up devices connected to the router? All I get is this:

A:Viewing Network devices

You can click on see full map to know the devices connected.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/96648-viewing-network-devices.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I need some help. I was using a router for my network. I out grew my 4 port router so I connected a switch to the router and now I am unable to view my workgroup computers.
Here is the set up. Internet into router (wan port) then I have a single connection running from the router to the switch and then I have all of my computers plugged into the switch. No computers are hooked up to the router anymore. Why am I not able to see my workgroup computers? I am able to search for them and it will list their shared files but I cannot use My Network Places to view the shared documents. Please email me with any question or answers.

Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 48.59%

I have 3 computers, 2 of the computers can see the other computes in both the network and home group, my computer that I created the homegroup on can see all, but cannot see all 2 computer only 2
I have checked setting and all are set the same, I have tried disabling both the anti-virus and firewall still can not see the computrer

A:network viewing problem

Try this and see if it works. How can I share any files on my network ?
Also, try this, run command prompt in admin mode,
sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/36953-network-viewing-problem.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi,

I have an iMac G5 and I want to be able to look at the same webpages (at the same time) as a person on a Windows PC in another room. Is this possible?

Relevancy 48.59%

We operate in a Windows 2003 Domain. We have over 200 workstations with twelve different locations. Each location is on a different subnet. (192.168.25.0, 192.168.10.0, etc.) EX. When I am using a server in our data farm, which is its own location and I am looking in My Network Places> Entire Network> It only shows the computers in that location. Same with all of my other locations, it only shows local computers. We have various models of netscreen firewalls. My question is, What are the specific ports that I need to enable between locations so that each office can see each other in the Entire Network. So When I am browsing our Data Farm in Nashville and I select Entire Network, I want to be able to see all of my computers in Florida offices and Alabama offices, and our other offices. Thanks for anyones help.

Relevancy 48.59%

When connected by way of wireless connection to online internet at times a notification from McAfee will pop up and alert me of a connection activity When I receive a notification that concerns a connection activity the notification message Begins with an I in circle Icon then states is on line so no IP address or Computer Name is given Then when I access the Network Map from that pop up I see several devices onor off line I can not know which device is the one that connected I only know that it is not me who has caused Hackers Viewing Map Network ID to the security notifcation How can that be How can I enable a reliable security if the program can not tell me which device or computer came on line and when I realize after speaking to a McAfee technician that they would investigate hackers etc for a one time fee etc but what's the story here I mean is that it I am about to do some process of elimination as I use an extension to connect the router and two other computer users are in the house but there names are titled into the connection Viewing Network Map to ID Hackers icons on the Network Map but there are still to or three connection that are only identifiable by the IP addresses and there is no other determining information such as the time it connected

A:Viewing Network Map to ID Hackers

I now have identified 5 of 7, with this Verizon Security Suite Multi Device Powered  by McAfee,
in the program Network Map, . . I marked the un-identified ones as Intruders, 

What happens now ?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/552087/viewing-network-map-to-id-hackers/
Relevancy 48.59%

I am having problems viewing any computers on my workgroup. I'm in a work environment working off of a workgroup. No pc's are able to even ping my computer. When I go to network and sharing, the network discovery is set to on. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any information would be helpful. My network has about 80 pcs on it ranging from windows 2000 to Vista. I am the only one who has windows 7.

Thanks so much!
ITGIRL

A:Problems viewing pcs on network

Does your company have an IT department? If so, have they reviewed any of the tutorials on how to configure Windows 7 to network with older operating systems?

How to make Windows 7 work with older Windows versions for networking and file sharing.

Sharing a printer on Windows 7 Vista XP network

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/39956-problems-viewing-pcs-network.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I am using Windows XP OS service pack 2. I am also sharing a network with an iMac via a TRENDnet router and "Airport". When clicking on >Start>My network places, the window sometimes opens up and sometimes it does not; the hourglass does not appear and the cursor arrow just remains as is. I know the network places are there because I can connect.

Is there something in my setup which can be causing this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

herc

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viewing-my-network-places.687492/
Relevancy 48.59%

I have 4 computers on a network. One of these machine has weather instrumentation connected to it through a serial port. My question is, how can I monitor the live data on the other machines?

Thanks,
Steve

Relevancy 48.16%

HELP I am having trouble with two computers on my network Both computers are showing similar symptoms I am in a small office with computer stations and two of the computers can t see the shared folders printers on the network However I am able to ping all of the computers from each station using the IP address as well as the computer name All computers are running Windows XP all four computers are connected through a Linksys router all Windows and McAfee firewalls are turned off no other firewalls are present except on the router all computers can access the internet that is connecting through the router and all stations Problems Solved: The Network Viewing are in the same work group One of the weirder symptoms is that we are able to access files over the network if we launch them through the appropriate program but we are unable to navigate to the same file using Windows Explorer We are also able to search for a computer through the Windows search feature and all the shared folders printers are visible Also similar to being able to open a file through a program Solved: Problems Viewing The Network but not through Windows Explorer we are able to print to shared printers through a program but we can t find them through the Printers and Faxes in the Control Panel Because of this we are unable to add any new network printers All of this is very confusing because it seems that the two problematic computers started this at the same time and have the same symptoms The other two computers don t seem to have any trouble but they still can t see the shared folders printers on the two problematic computers I have made sure that all computers on the network have a different name that can be changed in the Control Panel gt System gt Computer Name I feel like I have tried so many different ideas I am just going to leave it at that Please let me know if you have any suggestions I am at my witt s end Thank you Wade nbsp

Relevancy 48.16%

I m not sure if this is the forum for it but here goes I am still connections Viewing Wireless Network pretty dense Viewing Wireless Network connections with networking and only know enough to make things work for the moment but I am learning My question is when i set up a wireless router network and you can take any old laptop with wireless builtin and find the network and logon before having the proper security measures enabled how can I - from the main PC - tell who is connected via wireless to my network I have been in the process of setting up security measures and for jollys wanted Viewing Wireless Network connections to see if I could see my test laptop when it was connected and couldn t see it I can see the hardwired PCs but they are already part of the established work group I was trying to simulate seeing an outside PC that gained wireless access to the network I am cornfused but then I am much of the time - Castleheart nbsp

A:Viewing Wireless Network connections

I have a menu in my router called 'Attacjed devices'. What router do you have?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viewing-wireless-network-connections.535901/
Relevancy 48.16%

I am connected to a network domain. When I go to My network places>Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network>Domain I can see all networked computers when I am wired in but when I connect wirelessly I cannot. I use a "Wireless access point" connected to my firewall router. I have tried disabling the wireless firewall and assigning a static IP. I am logged into the domain but the only way to can view the other computers on the network is to connect through a wired connection. I'm thinking it has to be a setting in my Wireless router but I cannot figure it out.

A:Viewing Microsoft windows network

Hi

when you connect via the wire, and via wireless is the ip address,subnet and default gateway in the same range ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/viewing-microsoft-windows-network.131090/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello all I assume this is the right not Network In Places...or Viewing JPEG's place for this question I ve looked around and can t see any mention of this problem Basically I have a web site which I access using Network Places with Windows Viewing JPEG's In Network Places...or not XP SERVICE PACK On this pc just to muddy the water I can click on a jpeg in a folder in Network places and it opens in IE so I can see if it s what I want to use and I can copy the address etc It cannot be viewed as a thumbnail in Network places when given the chose of for instance thumbnails tiles icons etc Not a problem at this time However I have a friend with a similar set up and he cannot view jpegs while in Network places He gets whatever program he has set to view jpegs opening but with the message file cannot be viewed I have tried changing his default jpeg viewer to anything and everything he has on the pc with no success Network places does not give the user a choice to open with as in regular folder view so how can I get the jpegs to open while in network places I have spent days surfing the net and Viewing JPEG's In Network Places...or not microsoft sites trying to find out how to set a default IE view of jpegs in Network places and there is no answer that I can find anywhere If anyone on here can answer this question which has been bugging us for years now you will be able to sell the answer and retire there s a lot on the net with this same trouble IE does not appear to be the issue as I have had all versions since IE with the same problem I also had this problem on an older PC after initially finding I could open jpegs in network places and then for some reason one day it stopped doing it I am planning to get an answer before this pc does the same I am guessing if I were to remove all jpeg programs that can view pictures from the pc in questiion then Network places would revert to IE to open a jpeg But that s hardley practical and just a guess as I say I have posted questions on this site in the past and had great help to resolve unrelated issues and have told this friend I ll get the answer here for sure Thanks to all and anyone that can solve this enigma Fingers crossed in anticipation

A:Viewing JPEG's In Network Places...or not

Hi .

Well...I don't understand why a .jpeg or .jpg file...should be expected to open with IE, regardless of file location on a networked system.

I have a home network, I can view any file on my other system. If I open said file, the default program for opening it (assuming that my file settings are proper) will open it.

I don't believe that a graphics file of any sort...should have IE set as the default view/open choice. IE should be the choice for viewing .htm, etc. files...files which relate to Internet connection.

A graphics program of some kind should be the default program to view graphics images.

I guess that I don't understand what is going on with either system.

FWIW: I just connected to an .mpg file on my other system and double-clicked it. I was greeted with the "access denied" message indicating that I needed to designate a program to open said file. I selected WMP and the file opened, as it should have (WMP is my default program for viewing/opening .mpg files).

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/207720/viewing-jpegs-in-network-placesor-not/
Relevancy 48.16%

i recently networked my computers (home and work)using tcp/ip protocol. i tried to connect my home computer to work computer; i got connected - the little icon connection shows connected. my question is "how can i view my work computer files? so i can access them. thanks

A:viewing files on network computers

What OS are you using and did you set up as a PPTP? How far away are the computers? Same building or different city???

[This message has been edited by Doolies (edited 11-22-2000).]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viewing-files-on-network-computers.29452/
Relevancy 48.16%

I recently decided it would be cool to be able to see a list of all the devices that are connected to my wireless internet Problem is I cannot for the life of me figure out how I've read that most routers modems have a way of showing you this but a my devices Viewing wifi network my on modem is really old and I don't know if it supports this and b I think the modem has a way to attach a special router to it but I have a completely separate router connected to it So while wifi works fine all the Viewing devices on my wifi network wireless setting on the modem are greyed out because it doesn't think I have any routers attached to it So maybe there's a way to view it under those settings and I can't because it's all greyed out My modem is an Actiontec M and I'm not really sure what the router is If someone can tell me how to see devices AND THEIR NAMES not just IP MAC addresses from that router that'd be great But what I'm really looking for is a program I can run on my computer to show me all the devices I've tried net view in cmd but that only gives me computers on the network and not devices like iPhones or iPod Touches I know McAfee Security Center has a Network View or something that does a pretty good job of at least showing all the IP addresses but a I'm trying out some different free AV Firewalls since McAfee is too resource-heavy and that's not at my disposal at the moment b it only shows IP address not device names very important to me and c I really want a standalone program to do this with Any help would be great Programs for Vista or are what I need not XP I say that because I did find one that might potentially work called SuperScan but it only works on XP Thanks

A:Viewing devices on my wifi network

Edit: I found Wireless Network Watcher - Show who is connected to your wireless network and it's almost what I'm looking for. Simple, small, no hassle. But it still doesn't show the device names of things like my iPod.

I'm fairly certain that it should be possible to see its name because a while back, my school sent out warnings to everyone that was connecting to their wifi saying that we had to stop because almost all the students were using it and it couldn't handle all that traffic. (A little while later they got smart and put a password on it) But I asked one of the people in charge how they knew who was on it, and they told me that most of the devices (including my iPod) had a device name that somehow identified the owner (In my case my iPod's device name was my full name so that was pretty obvious). So I'm sure there's got to be a way that I can see that info on my home network as well.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/293524-viewing-devices-my-wifi-network.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Specs are Bell Sympatico DSL Modem DI- Router Router goes to two switches SMC -port amp D-Link Gigabit -port SMC to computers plus another small switch with computers on it -port goes to three other switches throughout the complex less than foot runs In total about - computers behind the router including a file server that handles the DHCP work Computers are running web browsers I E email Outlook and Outlook Express Logmein software Hamachi software on computer only up to clients coming into it for anti-virus updates control a few MSN messengers for I T admins on offsite communications a couple streaming radio links FTP links minimum of but up to could be running at one time resets when Network DI-604 website Business - viewing Now I know you are going to say you need a bigger router but until the below problem started the D-Link was handling everything quite well It started about - months ago and we have been playing with it ever since trying different things but we keep coming up with the same results The would just reset sometimes a couple Business Network - DI-604 resets when viewing website of times per minute period depending upon what is going on sometimes every other day At first we thought ISP so after a couple of months fighting with them we switch to Bell and it was still happening ended up cheaper too for more bandwidth Found out one day that I could almost trigger it at times by going to weathernetwork com or a couple of other sites BestBuy Canadiantire Home Depot etc and doing some quick searchs through their products The router would reset as we would lose all links to the internet and then it would start working again Depending upon the website we could leave it for a couple of hours and all would be fine but it may reset the router when visited the next time The router is on the most recent version of software and it has been unplugged along with the DSL modem and plugged back in starting with the modem and then the router then plugged the rest of the network back in once they are both up and running numerous times over the months DSL light stays lit when all of the problems are happening so I would think there is nothing wrong with the ISP side of things I have tried various levels of MTU s on it as well including but still have problems One of the admins has a Netgear router FVS G that I set up and tried but it had the same problem it would reset as well at times Actually had it working for close to days once but then all hell broke loose Switched back to the and had close to a week and a half of problem free running Then it started resetting again Sometimes it is only once per day other times it is quite often during the day Logs don t show nothing other then some dropped TCP packets from WAN My biggest question is what would reset the router by just visiting a website like weathernetwork com or one of the other sites and doing a search on it I am looking at a bigger router just not sure how big I want to go at this point Been reviewing the Linksys Cisco RV and RV along with the Cisco ASA and so far I would like to keep the control in house as none of the admins have Cisco training or knowledge on their programming hence looking at the RV and the We could set them up ourselves and keep the control ours incase of problems we can get it figured out without costing us more money We try to keep things simple and control things ourselves Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as we are at the end of our knowledge base and well Google is not coming up with any good answers either Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 47.3%

I was at a buddies house with my laptop, connected to his wireless internet connection and connected to his file sharing network. But whenever we tried to view other computer's shared files on the network the whole network would lose internet connection for a few moments and then would come back once we stopped viewing other computer's files.

I have no idea what would cause this or how to fix it. If anyone has any idea's it would be greatly appreciated because I will be moving here at the end of this month and would like to get this problem out of the way now.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lose-internet-connection-when-viewing-network.886235/
Relevancy 47.3%

When I'm networked to my laptop and I go to view, copy or open a file on the laptop from my desktop pc, it freezes for about 20 second before opening. It only does this every 3 or 4 attempts and not every time but when It happens it will lock up and i get the egg timer as if it's waiting for something to happen.

However this ony happens one way. When I view or open files on my desktop pc from the laptop I don't get this problem. Thing is I don't know what's causing it or which machine is at fault but I suspect it's the desktop pc because I'm also getting long delays when opening Internet Explorer window and the Network Icon in the system tray is showing no activity for about 20 seconds.

Can anyone shed a bit of light on this for me?

A:PC Freezes when viewing/copying network files

Fix for slow network browsing, Stop Browsing Scheduled Tasks.
Hold the Windows key and press R, then type regedit in the text box and click the OK button.

Once the Registry Editor has loaded, expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key.
Next, expand Software and Microsoft, then Windows and expand that as well.

You will want to be editing the main system files, so expand CurrentVersion, then Explorer key.

Next, you will want to modify the remote computer settings, so expand the RemoteComputer key and then expand the NameSpace key to show all of the features that are enabled when you browse to a remote computer.

In the NameSpace folder you will find two entries. One is "{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}" which tells Explorer to show printers shared on the remote machine. The other, "{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}," tells Explorer to show remote scheduled tasks. This is the one that you should delete. This will prevent the system from browsing the scheduled tasks on the remote computer which seems to take forever for some strange reason.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-freezes-when-viewing-copying-network-files.692150/
Relevancy 47.3%

is there a way of viewing which computers are connected to a wireless network at any one time?
without logging into router settings?

A:Viewing which computers are connected on my wireless network

A free program like Angry IP Scanner can give you a list of connected computers for a given block of IP addresses. It does not separate wired vs. wireless connections.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viewing-which-computers-are-connected-on-my-wireless-network.621246/
Relevancy 47.3%

I m running Windows Home Premium on the three Preventing folders others viewing from shared network on my machines I have at home All three Preventing others on network from viewing my shared folders are connected to the same network I would like to share files between two of the machines so I created a homegroup and added only these two machines For the folders I would like to share between the two I changed the folder s sharing permission from Everyone to Homegroup What I have noticed is the third machine that is not part of this homegroup it is owned by a student who is temporarily renting a room in our house is still able to view the other machines from within windows explorer and even double click on them to get a listing of folders that are being shared Granted when they try to open any of these folders they get a message saying they do not have the required permission Ideally I would like to have the homegroup machines only visible in explorer to users who are part of the homegroup Likewise any user not in the homegroup would not be able to see the other machines in explorer Is this setup possible

A:Preventing others on network from viewing my shared folders

It sounds to me like you do not want this student to be a part of your regular network at all.

Some routers "like mine" have a guest zone for a wireless connection that is outside your normal network. That would prevent them from seeing those folders. The set up and options for routers is different so it's difficult to give exact directions for this.

For a wired connection you may be able to set up a static IP address outside the normal range of your regular network for them to connect too.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/222626-preventing-others-network-viewing-my-shared-folders.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I am setting up a ubuntu server on an old box.
I need to clear my login credentials frequently to log into the same share with a different username/password.
After I have opened a network share i'll open a console and use the net view command to clear out my session.
When I open up the network view and attempt to re-open the previous network share, windows 7 will blue screen and reboot before I can see what it says. The error states something about hardware.
I have looked for the memory.dmp file but I don't think it is being written.

This sounds like a unique or new problem. Does anybody have an idea of what is going on?

A:blue screen crash when viewing network folders

Have you checked for updated drivers for your network hardware?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blue-screen-crash-when-viewing-network-folders.909242/
Relevancy 46.87%

Whenever I select my wireless adapter right click and choose quot Properties quot the properties window freezes and results Viewing freezing. properties network adapter a in along with Viewing a network adapter properties results in freezing. it the explorer Viewing a network adapter properties results in freezing. window Some time ago I had disabled a bunch of services some of which were related to networking I had done so because they were causing intensive CPU use problems while they were being loaded I realize now I should of set them to manual and I have set as many as I can remember to manual but the problem still exist Is there something else I could try to undo this problem and aside from this everything else works fine with no internet or network problems nbsp nbsp Quote Originally Posted by vpwin Name --Description ----Status ------Startup Type --------Log On As ActiveX Installer AxInstSV --Provides User Account Control validation for the installation of ActiveX controls from the Internet and enables management of ActiveX control installation based on Group Policy settings This service is started on demand and if disabled the installation of ActiveX controls will behave according to default browser settings ------Manual --------Local System Adaptive Brightness --Monitors ambient light sensors to detect changes in ambient light and adjust the display brightness If this service is stopped or disabled the display brightness will not adapt to lighting conditions ------Manual --------Local Service Adobe LM Service --AdobeLM Service ------Manual --------Local System Akamai NetSession Interface --Provides networking protocol and file transfer technologies If the service is stopped those applications that depend on the service may fail to transfer files or otherwise function properly ----Started ------Automatic --------Local System Apple Mobile Device --Provides the interface to Apple mobile devices ----Started ------Automatic --------Local System Application Experience --Processes application compatibility cache requests for applications as they are launched ----Started ------Manual --------Local System Application Identity --Determines and verifies the identity of an application Disabling this service will prevent AppLocker from being enforced ------Manual --------Local Service Application Information --Facilitates the running of interactive applications with additional administrative privileges If this service is stopped users will be unable to launch applications with the additional administrative privileges they may require to perform desired user tasks ----Started ------Manual --------Local System Application Layer Gateway Service --Provides support for rd party protocol plug-ins for Internet Connection Sharing ----Started ------Manual --------Local Service avast Antivirus --Manages and implements avast antivirus services for this computer This includes the resident protection the virus chest and the scheduler ----Started ------Automatic --------Local System Background Intelligent Transfer Service --Transfers files in the background using idle network bandwidth If the service is disabled then any applications that depend on BITS such as Windows Update or MSN Explorer will be unable to automatically download programs and other information ----Started ------Manual --------Local System Base Filtering Engine --The Base Filtering Engine BFE is a service that manages firewall and Internet Protocol security IPsec policies and implements user mode filtering Stopping or disabling the BFE service will significantly reduce the security of the system It will also result in unpredictable behavior in IPsec management and firewall applications ----Started ------Automatic --------Local Service BitLocker Drive Encryption Service --BDESVC hosts the BitLocker Drive Encryption service BitLocker Drive Encryption provides secure startup for the operating system as well as full volume encryption for OS fixed or removable volumes This service... Read more

A:Viewing a network adapter properties results in freezing.

Can you share with us your list of services, and if they are enabled/manual/disabled or whatever. We may notice one more that might need to be enabled.

Once that's ruled out we can look at other causes? Any suggestions any1?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/91559-viewing-network-adapter-properties-results-freezing.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I am haveing trouble viewing files that I share among my computer network, I was shareing a couple of files on it the network.When I went to My Network Places last night to access one of them all the files appeared then disappeared off of my other computer.
All of my computers have Windows XP sp2

Computer 1
Sony Viao desktop

Computer 2
HP desktop

Computer 3
Gateway laptop

Relevancy 46.87%

Hi,
This is a strange one. I have an Acer netbook, Win7 Starter, which will access the internet fine, and which will view share folders on the LAN fine. But if I open up a share folder and view its contents in explorer, the machine will freeze within ten seconds.

Using ethernet, there is no problem.

I've updated drivers. Acer only had version 14, but the Intel site had version 16. This is an Intel N 100 wifi card.

I also swapped cards from another same model Acer, with no change.

The card's settings seem fine. File sharing is turned on on both machines. I'm not even framing the why's of this problem very well at this point.

A:Viewing network share over wifi freezes laptop

Hi there,

How big is the file that you are trying to transfer using Wi-Fi connection? Have you tried a smaller file?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/312365-viewing-network-share-over-wifi-freezes-laptop.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have two Windows 7 computers and one XP machine on a wireless network. Two machines can see the others but one running Windows 7 can't see the other two. While trying to find out why, I noticed that whenever trying to view the network status on the problem machine, it knocks out the internet for everything. The computer that is causing trouble is wired directly to the router. Help?

A:Solved: Internet connection is dropped when viewing network status.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-internet-connection-is-dropped-when-viewing-network-status.939546/
Relevancy 46.44%

I have some network folders with and files It's very slow opening those folders just to see the files anywhere contents Win7 of large viewing slow network folders very from - sec I've read lots of google articles and even several from this forum Many articles are several years old so I'm not sure how relevent I've customized the folders in Win for general items and checked quot also apply this template to subfolders quot I went to power options and chose Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders advanced and changed the setting quot turn off HD after min to min hours I've disabled sleep mode I have indexing off for all my HD's because this is an audio recording computer and I Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders try to stop as many Windows background tasks from operating in the background If turning indexing back on will solve this problem then I'd try it As soon as I boot up into Win and try to access those network folders I get this long delay yet if I try to access local win folders they open up right away and have files So my problem is with the network I have XP network computers wired and the latest updated Win Is there a solution

A:Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders

Age old problem but with many possible solutions, many of those solutions are mentioned in the following link.

It could also be that updating the routers firmware or using a different router could fix the problem as is described in the link but there are quite a few other possible causes and solutions in the link.

Extremely slow file transfers and network access...

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/320530-win7-very-slow-viewing-contents-large-network-folders.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Just joined the forum so I have installed on Viewing a remotely. Ent. network remote printers Win7 this is the correct subforum for my question Here goes Back during the XP days in a domain setting you could browse to a remote computer and view what printers were installed on that machine local printers via usb etc AND printers who's queue reside on a print server I cannot do that in a Windows environment Win clients Win R print server Turned off the firewall on the clients and server Put Viewing installed network printers on a remote Win7 Ent. remotely. test machines and print server in an OU that doesn't get any Group Policy Turned on Network Discovery Turned on file print sharing Turned on public folder sharing there's no antivirus rd party firewall etc in place On my test machine I installed a printer printserver testprinter On my work machine I browsed to my test machine by opening Windows Explorer testmachine Click on 'View remote printer' I can see the default local printers Fax Microsoft XPS Doc Writer etc but I do NOT see the printer I installed who's queue is on the print server I've been googling and testing this all day Is there something I'm missing here Cheers

A:Viewing installed network printers on a remote Win7 Ent. remotely.

What does net view \\testmachine from a Command Prompt show you?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/199963-viewing-installed-network-printers-remote-win7-ent-remotely.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have some network folders with and files It's slow network of Win7 viewing very contents large folders very slow opening those folders just to see the files anywhere from - sec I've read lots of google articles and even several from this forum Many articles are several years old so I'm not sure how relevent I've customized the folders in Win for general items and checked quot also apply this template to subfolders quot I went to power options and chose advanced and changed the Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders setting quot turn off HD after min to min hours I've disabled sleep mode I have indexing off for all my HD's because this is an audio recording computer and I try to stop as many Windows background tasks from operating in the background If turning indexing back on will solve this problem then I'd try it As soon as I boot up into Windows and try to access those network folders I get this long delay yet if I try to access local Windows Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders folders they open up right away and have files So my problem is with Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders the network I have XP network computers wired and the latest updated Win Is there a solution

A:Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders

How fast is the network?

Practically speaking I think your solution is to break the network folders into subfolders with fewer files each. Or get faster network hardware.

Edit: depending on file type another way to speed up would be to disable thumbnails and use Details View.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/320632-win7-very-slow-viewing-contents-large-network-folders.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi,

I need to find out which process on my system is using a ton of bandwidth, does anyone know of a free utility that will provide this information? I couldn't find anything using Google.

TIA,

D.

Relevancy 44.29%

Whenever my desktop goes into sleep mode or is restarted it returns being unable to connect to the internet. This happens because my Network Security Key reverts to an old password. I've updated the driver, changed the power save settings on the
driver, and reintered the network security key a number of different times but it seems that no matter how I go about it, the new key will not 'stick'.

A:Wireless Network Security Key Reverts to Old Security Key on Restart or Sleep Mode

ok I have finally discovered the solution on my own. I have been banging my head against a wall with this issue for some time but I have finally figured it out.
If you are having trouble with Windows 7 not saving your network security key, or reverting to some old key, the solution is as follows:

run msconfig (start > run (or just type into the "Search programs and files" field above the windows orb) > msconfig)
this brings up the System Configuration dialog box
click the Startup tab
scroll to find your wifi adapter's startup program (in my case it was NETGEAR)
uncheck the box next to this startup item

restart your computer. problem solved.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c700892c-3c05-426d-a25b-0973df97a27a/wireless-network-security-key-reverts-to-old-security-key-on-restart-or-sleep-mode?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 44.29%

I was infected with the Vista Security 2012 virus. I have since run Malware, Spybot, CCleaner, Microsoft Security Essentials, Microsoft Fix It. It has disabled my firewall and windows security and network sharing. I am unable to turn them on. I have tried to do the windows repair with my disk, that did not help, sfc/scannow has not helped. I do not have a system restore point to go back to either, it was erased. Im stuck. Help.

A:Windows Security will not start/firewall/network sharing due to Vista Security 2012 virus

Welcome aboard Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.Press "Scan".It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/433554/windows-security-will-not-startfirewallnetwork-sharing-due-to-vista-security-2012-virus/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi I d like to get some information about how to in Windows Change the Local Security Policy Open Local Security Policy XP From the Start menu choose Run In the resulting dialog type quot secpol msc quot without quotes and click OK Vista From the Start menu in the Start Search dialog type quot secpol msc quot without quotes and press Enter Windows From the Start menu in the quot Search programs and files quot dialog type quot secpol msc quot without quotes and press Enter Click the plus sign XP or Minimum security SSP... for Network security: session NTML arrow Vista and Windows next to Local Policies to expand its contents Click to select you just need to highlight this folder the folder called Security Options On the right hand side of the Local Security Policy locate and double-click on Network security LAN Manager authentication level In the Network security: Minimum session security for NTML SSP... drop-down list select quot Send LM amp NTLM - use NTMLv session security if negotiated quot Click OK On the right hand side of the Local Security Policy locate and double-click on quot Network security Minimum session security for NTML SSP based including secure RPC clients quot Uncheck quot Require -bit encryption quot Click OK Close Local Security Policy Restart the computer It s necessary to connect to my Server Thanks in advance

A:Network security: Minimum session security for NTML SSP...

The following link shows how to get to the Local Security Policy in Windows 8 if that is what you are asking?

http://www.eightforums.com/network-s...tml#post177162

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/39403-network-security-minimum-session-security-ntml-ssp.html
Relevancy 43%

I am trying to add a new network-ready printer Brother MFC- N to my existing wireless network The printer is connected to a LAN port on the back of a wireless router The pre-existing wireless network consists of a Linksys BEFW S wireless router a wired Windows XP Home desktop and a wireless Windows XP Home laptop The network has MAC address filtering and WEP security enabled I wired WEP network with Solved: security wireless printer on network turned off both MAC and WEP security when installing the printer and the wired desktop was able to detect the printer after going through quot add network printer quot I got the printer s MAC address from the printer test page and added that to the router and turned the MAC filtering back on and still ok I was able to detect the printer from the wired desktop and print I then turned on the WEP security Solved: WEP security with wired network printer on wireless network and suddenly the wired desktop no longer detects the printer tried pinging printer s IP address If I turn off WEP the desktop again recognizes the printer I m not sure why WEP is affecting communication between two components that are both wired into the router I haven t even tried to get the wireless laptop to communicate with the printer yet since I can t even get the wired desktop fully working first I don t want to disable WEP security so that is not an option Brother support says Solved: WEP security with wired network printer on wireless network its an issue with the router Is there some setting I need to change on the router Alternatively I think if I got a wireless print server and entered the WEP Solved: WEP security with wired network printer on wireless network key into the print server it would work but then there was no point in getting a network-ready printer in the first place I could have just kept my old non-network printer Any suggestions would be much appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 42.57%

Let me start off by saying that I am not a IT specialist but I consider myself pretty knowledgable I live in a co-op apartment with about a dozen or so tenants some who I not know but we all share the same isp provider we re all connected through single router I am the designated net admin Due to a previous occurance in which our network was compromised and our service was shut off someone downloaded illegal material said computer activity Network network question security suspicious was turned into a bot because of which said material I took it upon myself with Network security question suspicious network activity the landlords approval to block all known file sharing p p applications and their relative ports Normal non file sharing activity was not affected Recently few new tenants moved in and I noticed a decrease in the networks overall throughput The filters that I have setup are functioning and the routers log indicates that a user is trying to connect to something Each time its blocked it the user switches ports ranging from the low s up to The routers logs only go up to pages each page logging events and those pages get filled up within a minute Within those logs are intermittent out of ever or so indications of torrent use ports - I am aware that most torrent applications now will use a varying array of ports I just want to confirm that what this user is doing is probably ffilesharing and not anything else It is because everying in the apartment is connected through single IP address that I am wary of this I don t have strong feeling for or against filesharing but I don t want the entire co-op to get into legal troubles because of just person Comments are most welcome nbsp

A:Network security question suspicious network activity

Yep, that sounds like P2P.

What kind of a router is it? If it's Cisco, may be able to drop with NBAR.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-security-question-suspicious-network-activity.550241/
Relevancy 37.84%

ok i am all new to this computer and stuff so i dont know much about it so plzz help me. I have a desktop and a lapotop that works fine but i bought a new laptop and i tried to go to internet in that laptop but it keeps asking me for network security key and i have no idea what it is.... so plzzz help me how do i find it.... i tried reseting it but i dont think it works...
mine was Ehome and now its Tree.. Model EH100 and on the router it says WAN and WLAN... plzz i have no idea what this means but help me.
thanks

A:Network security key

Hello alisha123,
Welcome to Vista Forums!!!!

Try using this program on one of your old computers and make sure that your network key is the same as what your typing in...
WirelessKeyView - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Hope this helps,
Ben

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/262004-network-security-key.html
Relevancy 37.84%

How do I find out what my Network Security Key is for my router? It is a WRT54G V8.

A:Network Security Key

Connect to the router with a cable and connect to the management page with your web browser.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/network-security-key-426317.html
Relevancy 37.84%

Hello,
Can anybody tell me of a good website that provides information about network security?Someone recommended www.infolocktech.com. Any recommendations on this?

werstyle teen

A:network security

for home use or business? try norton http://www.symantec.com/index.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-security.521135/
Relevancy 37.84%

I have had a wirless network set up for a while with my Belkin router but I never locked it. Now I'm trying to go back and do so but can not figure out what to do. If someone could help me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

A:Network Security

I would go the your wireless routers manufactures website and look and see what they say about setting up WEP keys. At the same time though I would only go as far as putting MAC (Physical address of the wireless cards of the computers) address filtering on the router.
This will only allow people who's MAC address you know on the network.
WEP can be cracked quickly and with little know how now days.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-security.607093/
Relevancy 37.84%

I installed service pack 2 on both machines at home so I can utilize the file sharing and firewall features simultaneously. I'm planning on using Adwar-Aware to clean out both PC's and then Spyware Blaster as a monitor.

I wondering if the XP firewall is sufficient, or should I use Zone Alarm, or both?

Additionally, are there any other security precautions I should consider?

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-network-security.302893/
Relevancy 37.84%

I am trying to set up someone wireless, but it keeps asking for a Network Security Key.  I have gone to my computer trying to find this key, I think I have found it but it doesn't give me the actual password.  How do I find out what I made as a password, so that I can access this from my friends computer?

Hi, You will need to access your Routers homepage from your PC and look under Security to see what the network security key is.  If you cannot view the actual key ( ie it just shows as a series of ******** ) you may need to set a new security key in your router and then enter this new key in your friends PC as well as your own PC to connect to your Home Network. Hope this helps. Best wishes, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Network-Security-Key/td-p/391303
Relevancy 37.84%

I have forgotten my network security key, all of the info I find points me to connections, wireless properties, etc..... This does not match my updated Windows 10. Does anyone have the procedures for the latest updated Windows 10?

I don't understand what you are asking. Procedure for what?

Network key would be stored in your router. Reset the router and start over????

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/34074-network-security-key.html
Relevancy 37.84%

Hi

Someone will have to connect to my pc usong remote connection and then to the network .

Will network folks know that someone is using my pc and if so how can we prevent them from knowing that i have given access permission to someone through the ip address?
Pls reply

A:network and security

We don't assist in this sort of activity, I suggest you read the TSG Rules.

Closed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-and-security.950321/
Relevancy 37.84%

I just purchased a laptop and have a wireless Netgear router. Does anyone know how I can make my network and computer the most secure possible?

Case

Hi Case,
You should log in to your router and enable Security on your router to do so. log in to the router. make sure your change your router defult password first. then go to the wireless section. Disable SSID Brodcast then ppl wont know whats the network when the try to conenct. after that on the Wireless enable Preshared Key. and put in a pre shared key. or if u have any other authication server like RAIDUS you can use it or just use the pre shared key. this should make you secure .

Hope this helps

Cheers !!

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/162231-network-security.html
Relevancy 37.84%

During a thunderstorm my wireless printer went offline.  Now they are asking me for my network security key.  I have no idea where it is so what do I do now?  Does that mean I can never print wirelessly again unless I buy a new printer?  In rhe meantime how can I disconnect the wireless printer and set it up using a USB port until I get a printer repair person to help me?

A:I DO NOT KNOW MY NETWORK SECURITY KEY

It might not be a printer problem but it just lost the network setting.  The "network security" it is probably asking for is the passphrase or network key to your own WiFi network.  See here for some help:http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-photosmart-7520-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5199461/document/...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/I-DO-NOT-KNOW-MY-NETWORK-SECURITY-KEY/td-p/5696380
Relevancy 37.84%

what is my network security key,when i connect to wirless conection they will ask it

A:what is my network security key

Hi, Only you know what is it. You have to logon to your access point (AP) to find out OR you can setup a new one using this:   http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-vista/Set-up-a-security-key-for-a-wireless-network Note: You must know the old one or you can reset the whole thing like a brand new router by press the RESET pin. What is it ? Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/what-is-my-network-security-key/td-p/1288009
Relevancy 37.84%

I have been on my CCNA for a year now and we are Security Help Network just starting to cover Network Security Help network security We have covered such things as IP address spoofing DDOS attacks etc but now we have been Network Security Help given a task to find ways to gain access to network equipment servers routers etc whilst avoiding beeing cought by our tutor My team realised that by spoofing out IP address s that we wouldn t get very far as we would need an external location to pick up data from So then we asked ourselves quot How can we change our IP address but also be able to have the data come back again quot The first thing that came to mind was NAT Network Address Translation The only problem is implementing it becuase we are only allowed to use terminals with windows on them We can also use linux if we wish to but nonme of us are very experienced on it We was wondering if there was any software available that would let use configure NAT on our machine All help is appreciated nbsp

A:Network Security Help

Sorry for double posting, just that with the website going down for some time I dont think anyone had a chance to view the thread.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-security-help.709355/
Relevancy 37.84%

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-news/32790-heads-up-on-windows-10-wi-fi-sense

A:Less network security in 10

Already been posted multiple times in this section.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587205/less-network-security-in-10/
Relevancy 37.84%

How do I find out what my WEP network security key is? I have a Netgear router. When I go to www.ruterlogin.com I'm asked for my username and password as far as I remember I do not have one or at least I cannot find it. I'm attempting to set my laptop up as wireless.

here is a link to different routes defaul loggings. if you had changed it you will have to reset the router too original state by hold ing in the reset buton on router .http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/network-security-key-489423.html
Relevancy 37.84%

ill try explain this the best way i can

ive set up a htpc and connected it to my router with a ethernet cable, my main pc is also connected with ethernet cable,
i have people staying in my flat next door and i let them use my wifi to connect to the net, when there connected they show up in the 'network' tab does this mean they have access to the htpc files?

thanks

A:network security

Is there an option to set the HTPC to private or public? But I would think so if they are on your network.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/241104-network-security.html
Relevancy 37.84%

I wanted to know how network security oriented some of your jobs were.
If you can say, what kind of software/hardware do you use to help keep your network secure. (kinda toutchy question I know)
What are some good things to be familiar with? (programs etc.)
Is the security field a good solid place to focus on?

Hardware: firewall router is a good start
The use a Linux web server after that !

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-security.664355/
Relevancy 37.84%

hey when i go t lan parties im always warried about people being stupid and seearching thru my files and ive seen that there is a way to put a password on your computer to make it so you have to put the pw in to get into the computer thru another computer but the only thing i know how to do is make my folder shared or not. please help?

yeah thats what im running is xp pro, so pro will be easier to do? ok cool thx for the info.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-security.12452/
Relevancy 37.84%

In Manage wireless networks I can't view the network security key more acurately the wep key for my apartments wi-fi This is so stupid I'm the administrator then why can't I see it security Network key? Why I the can't see And the other thing is that when I click in the fill in bar that's when it let's you hit show characters but the problem is Why can't I see the Network security key? it gets rid of the Why can't I see the Network security key? key So retarded I'm the administrator the administrator For directions if I confused you go to the internet connection icon in the bottom right of the screen then go to network and sharing center Then go to manage wireless networks Then you right click the network then you go to properties then you go to security heres the problem it won't let me go with show characters when you click in the bar it makes them dissapear I lost the paper my apartment office gave me that has the key So if I accedently delete it i'm screwed so any help And why is it hidden if i'm the administrator also that don't make no sense

A:Why can't I see the Network security key?

Not sure whether this is what you need:
How do I find the WEP/WPA/Security Key/Password for my wireless router - Wireless-General-Discussions - Wireless-Networking

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/281573-why-cant-i-see-network-security-key.html
Relevancy 37.84%

I have a wireless network in my home. I just purchased a Sony laptop with Vista Home business installed. When I try to get in Internet Explorer, many times I am unable. My network security key seems to always default to another code and I have to retype mine in in order to get on the internet. What can I do to have my key code be permanent?

Can you give us more details about your setup please, who is your ISP, what router do you use, how many other computers do you have in your home and do any of them have a problem ?

As you see we need a few more particulars so that the experts can help you as you haven't given many details about your setup, and we can't see what you have.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/234653-network-security-key.html
Relevancy 37.84%

Hello,

I recently networked my win me and win xp pro desktops with a belkin router. I an not having problems with the network, however, I am wondering should I purchase a wi-fi securty package? I do use Symantic and my windows firewall is active. Would another security program be too much?

Thanks,
ayrth

Relevancy 37.84%

Hey Peoples

I am on a home network with others on it.
I am running windows xp

concernined about my network security being compromised within the Lan
wanting protection from peering eyes on the network

I am also getting weird CPU usage (High Peaks and Troughs) and sometimes it is maxing out my 1.5/2gb of RAM with the PF uage.

If you think other PCs on the same lan has been hacked or compromised. then you can separate them onto their own lan by buying 2 routers. Have them connected to one and have yourself connected to the other. So that way, the 2 groups each have their own router, and lan, and can't interfere with one another. Routers are cheap, around $29.

If you have a spare PC, you might want to look at Untangle, a Linux distro. The basic options, firewall, intrusion prevention, protocol control, phish blocker and some others are free. And network antivirus is for pay.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-security.1015423/
Relevancy 37.84%

Here s whats going on My dad called me earlier today and said that someone in his works IT department remotely logged into his computer and acessed his personal files Who ever did this wasn t to bright security Network help my dad is completly computer illiterate but was able to tell what happened because he checked the user log in s and saw that his computer was accessed as well as what files were viewed He asked me to come up and secure his files so that this couldn t happen again I m trying to think of possible ways to do this I don t think he has full administrative rights but he can install programs and such His boss agrees fully that this needs to be adressed so I can get administrative rights if necessary but I would prefer to bypass the IT department since thats Network security help where the problem seems to lie These are my thoughts so far first would be to create a folder that is only accesible by a particular user that being my dad But from my knowledge of Windows Server an administrator can take ownership of folders fairly easily If their is a way to make this method work and prevent unauthorized viewing of the data this would be my prefered route My second thought was Network security help to move the data to a thumb drive but I fear my father would forget to remove it and we would be back to square one If thier is a way to make a restricted partition on the HD or secure the thumb drive I would be interested in this route It s simple and seems fairly secure I m not worried about loss of the acutual thumb drive or theft of it since his office is behind lock and key and the IT department does not have access My third thought was to encrypt all the files with a bit or larger encryption system This seems like the most secure way to do it the only problem would be if he forgets his password or someone places a key logger onto his PC But then again if the person was dumb enough not to delete their log in from the reccord I don t think this will be an issue Those are my only thoughts thus far Network security help His work is trying to do this without making a big deal out of it or paying for it so naturally they went for a semi-computer savi son of a worker lol I know their is no way to make this secure because as long as their is a desire someone can get it it just comes down to how much they want to I m looking to make it very very inconvientent for whom ever is causing this problem Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated greatly Thanks alot Sepias nbsp

A:Network security help

I'm sorry but I have to close this thread. We cannot assist to bypass the company's IT department as we have no way of verifying your intentions.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-security-help.469639/
Relevancy 37.84%

Vista Home - not able to turn off Network Discovery and File sharing button.
I am a single stand alone on a broadband account. HP told me to do a total restore. My AVG firewall says I have not allowed sharing. But I would like to control my own options.
Please let me know what to do?
TIA

Relevancy 37.41%

Hi all,

I was just outside talking to my new neighbor, and he informed me that when he was hooking up his new high speed internet, he saw our home network as an option for connection. I have a desktop PC, a wireless laptop, a wireless printer, all working through a Linksys router.

If I enable password protection and encryption and all that, will it make a problem for the router and printer? How should I do this??

TIA!

Relevancy 37.41%

I am running Windows x Ultimate on my desktop home and Windows x Pro on my laptops I bring my personal laptop to work which I use for emails and browsing There is sensitive information that I would not like to share for obvious reasons I am running into a problem making sure the information is not in quot shared quot mode while at work Work has their own network which I am unable to connect to because the Sys Admin is lazy and will won't provide me a VPN connection directly to the system So what I have done is use the public WiFi that we make available to our customers Network Best Configuration Security... for and connect through my own VPN off the public WiFi system I want to make sure that I am not inadvertently sharing documents or other information doing so When I connect to the network at work I use the quot Public quot setting What settings do you recommend What makes it more difficult is I have a similar situation at home in which we have one internet connection through a router coming in and several people use the system The location of the router is actually upstairs where I do not have access to I use a Netgear WNR v I rent out rooms in my house so I am forced to connect to the router wireless I personally am not a gamer but one of the tenants is I almost always Best Network Configuration for Security... use my VPN service at home to connect but I am unsure if this is the correct set-up I don't want to share my printers video etc with everyone in the house I am using Norton for protection with Firewalls and Anti-virus software I connect through Golden Frog VPN service for security I am going to connect my desktop Gigabit switch with my devices but again want my system secure but not limited because of my situation It is safe using the router for access and then creating this quot sub-network quot for my devices for the router I am the admin Is there a better method or suggestion that one might have I would really appreciate the input for this complicated matter Should I change my workgroup for home and work Currently its the default WORKGROUP domain for both Thanks again

A:Best Network Configuration for Security...

No recommendations? Anyone?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/185799-best-network-configuration-security.html
Relevancy 37.41%

Where do I go to find  network security key

Solved!
View Solution.

A:how to find the network security key

80sAngels wrote:Where do I go to find  network security keyHi, It should be in your AP (access point/router). Please logon to it and find out. Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/how-to-find-the-network-security-key/td-p/4546962
Relevancy 37.41%

I have a question about learning network security. If I setup 2 PC's (or 3 or 4; whatever) on a network, one an NT server, the other a "hacking box" to try different exploits against the NT server, would that be a very accurate simulation of how it would work on the Internet? Would the things that I can/cannot do to that server over a private little LAN be a true representation of what could/couldn't be done over the Internet if the server were actually out on the Internet? I'm talking about pinging, port scanning, attempting intrusion, etc. Someone told me it would be pretty accurate, but I just don't know. I'm of the belief that to defend against attackers you need to know what they do. Any help with this question and any other insight into this topic would be most helpful. Thank you.

A:Network security question...

Hiya

Yes, it is a good way to protect yourself. I am assuming that the one running NT will have a firewall installed. If not, then it can still be more interesting. There are many exploits out there for NT so maybe setting them up would be a starting point.
The only thing I will say is that some people may see this as a way to hack other systems on the web so that is why some security people get a lot of jabs about what they do.

Learn about ports, what they do and what vulnerabilities they have. Learn about firewalls, as well as encryption. The best is PGP as this is excellent. Another way to learn about Security is to have a go at Honeypots. These are a great rescource for an administrator but not for the attacker.

Regards

eddie

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-security-question.53138/
Relevancy 37.41%

I am trying to make a new wireless connection, however the network security key keeps reverting to the old password, no matter how many times I try to save the new one. What is wrong?

A:Network Security Key won't save

Originally Posted by Grizelda

I am trying to make a new wireless connection, however the network security key keeps reverting to the old password, no matter how many times I try to save the new one. What is wrong?

Try this: wireless networking - Make Windows forget a network connection password? - Super User
You will have to reconnect to your network after doing this!

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/296317-network-security-key-wont-save.html
Relevancy 37.41%

I am running XP Pro and I am trying to setup folder sharing. I ran thru the sharing wizard that lets me share a specific folder and it works fine, but I can't find a way to set the permissions list and p/w security like I can in Windows2000 or even Win98. Everyone on the network can access the folder.

I don't want to have to dump files/folders into that sharing folder. I like to just share specific folders on my HD but with permission security.

Thanks
Jerold

A:Network Sharing Security

Just right click on the folder that you wish to share, go to the sharing tab, where if its already shared will have the share name, there is a permissions tab where you can allocate who and what type of access users have. Are you on a domain or workgroup?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-sharing-security.310572/
Relevancy 37.41%

If this is a really stupid question then I'm sorry! If I take my laptop out with me and then set it to detect wireless connections and then use one of those connections that is unsecure will security stuff start to run to protect my computer? (i.e is it safe? and if not wh do I have to do to make it safe?)

A:Wireless network security

If you're running on foreign WiFi networks, you should have current anti-virus, firewall, and spyware protection running. You also have to realize that unsecured WiFi connections are open to anyone with a small amount of technical knowledge and surf accordingly.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-network-security.429060/
Relevancy 37.41%

Hi Folks!
I'm starting to get into network security (I've still got much to learn) and I'm wondering if there are tools specific to Vista, specifically x64. I'm trying to learn to secure systems (via various tools like Nessus, sniffers, etc - strictly White Hat)
What do you all prefer to use?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/171805-network-security-tools-etc.html
Relevancy 37.41%

Can you give me some advice about Network Security Scanner. I need scan about 10 computer in network for virus, spywar atc. But the computer network is based on the workgroup, it is not the domain model network. There is such a free application?

Thanks in advance for advice

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/211939-network-security-scanner.html
Relevancy 37.41%

In order to use the internet at my college I have to use a program called Cisco Clean Access Agent. Loging into this requires my password and username. I figure that although the campus might not be able to spy on my computer directly they would be able to track my internet usage using this program from their router or somewhere else between my computer and 'the internet'.

Right now my security program is McAfee and my windows XP is up to date.

Is there any way to guard against this or am I paranoid?

A:College Network Security

Hi,

Sorry but we cannot help you with blocking that security program-

I wouldn't worry too much about tracking, they just want to be be sure YOU are protected as well as the NETWORK.

Please, read through this good description of what Cisco Clean Access Agent actually is,and does....

http://resnet.uci.edu/cca_faq.asp#q1

If your computer passes the "clean" test, you have access...if not, you have to clean it up.

It's not tracking software at all- though, an infected {or "misbehaving" computer to the Clean Access Agent....} might trigger some action, that is done just by the software.

Be sensible and careful- most infections these days are from files downloaded through P2P programs, Instant Messaging profile viruses, and infected websites, and your security programs should help keep this stuff from harming the computer. There is no ironclad 100% gurantee that they can.

So, I wouldn't worry about being spyed on from that software, and it is very illegal for anyone to use software that can track usage without telling you in advance that they are monitoring what sites you use or what you do.

As I said, we cannot help you with anything to do with blocking or "fooling" the secure logon your school has- and, now that you understand it, I would bet you no longer believe anyone should try to fool around with bypassing security.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/college-network-security.682081/
Relevancy 37.41%

Hi. I'm going to buy 3001pr port replicator to use at office. But my company network security doesn't allow to connect any another device to my RJ-45 outlet except my laptop. And they are not agree to link replicator ethernet adapter to this outlet because it will be able to connect any other laptop and get access to our network. Is there any option to keep network security when using this port replicator? For example allow to connect my laptop only to it.  Thanks,Andrei

A:3001pr network security

Hi, It has only one NIC port. Well policy is policy. We always have to accept employer's policies if we wish to keep our jobs. Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/3001pr-network-security/td-p/5762316
Relevancy 37.41%

I have a wireless router for a desktop...want to use it for mini notebook, lost security key!

Relevancy 37.41%

I have heard that if one of the computer on the home network is infected there is a chance that the rest of the computer conected to the network might also be infected. However, I don't exactly understand how that might happen. Could someone explain how that might happen? Because all I know is that people on the same network can access your documents and file if you do not set up your security properly but I don't know how they can infect each other.

A:network security question

Quote: Originally Posted by junjun

I have heard that if one of the computer on the home network is infected there is a chance that the rest of the computer conected to the network might also be infected. However, I don't exactly understand how that might happen. Could someone explain how that might happen? Because all I know is that people on the same network can access your documents and file if you do not set up your security properly but I don't know how they can infect each other.

If they can change a file, then you open that file, you could get infected.

But that is not the most efficient way to infect other computers on a network. The infected computer looks for security flaws on other computers and uses those to gain access. The access might let them run their infected app on the remote computer.

Look at the description of some critical Windows Updates; they state this:

Quote:
This is a remote code execution vulnerability. An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could take complete control of an affected system remotely.

Some say that there are 100s of these flaws that have not been patched. They are known to those writing/selling exploit kits (software that helps write malware). They don't release/sell all of the exploits at once - because then MS could fix them all at once.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/322793-network-security-question.html
Relevancy 37.41%

I am setting up a wireless network at home using a microsoft MN-500 base station and wireless adapters. The microsoft base station utilizes WEP for security. Is this sufficient or should I be using additional security features/software and if so what are they??

Thanx........D.

A:wireless network and security

If you can, use WPA with a long and random key, it's better security. I believe the MN-500 is WPA capable...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-network-and-security.368347/
Relevancy 37.41%

Hi there I am new to the forums and could really use some help Hopefully someone could point me in the right direction We are trying to get a Swann DVR - to work with our iPhones outside of our LAN and would like some advice since nothing I seem to do is working I am going to attempt to give all of the necessary variables so that we can get Network Need Accessing With DVR Security Outside Help to the issue as efficiently as possible Our Static IP Current Swann DVR Settings Connection Type DHCP Media Port Web Port IP Address Gateway Subnet DNS Under Mobile Devices Server Port Equipment Linksys WRT N Router Comcast SMC Networks Modem Swann DVR - In the router settings Port Range Forwarding I added IP with as the start and end port TCP UDP are currently enabled I have turned off the quot filter anonymous internet requests quot option in security We really need this to work ASAP so any advice someone could give Need Help With Accessing Security DVR Outside Network would be greatly appreciated Until I had to try to configure this system Need Help With Accessing Security DVR Outside Network I was blissfully unaware of port forwarding So hopefully this will be an easy fix Settings Needed for the Swannview I-phone APP Address Port User Id Password Max Channel Thanks again nbsp

A:Need Help With Accessing Security DVR Outside Network

Hi and welcome to TSG.

Perhaps you also need to forward port 9000 (Media Port).

If the Comcast modem is set to use NAT, you will need to port forward on it as well.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-with-accessing-security-dvr-outside-network.1021029/
Relevancy 37.41%

The wireless usb on a secondary computer was unpluged and now to get it working again we need our network security number, we have searched all the the hard files and computer files and cannot find the number. There are instructions to redo the whole network and get a new number, but we would rather not. Where would this number be located? Apparently we didn't write it down.

A:Elusive security # for network

Well, we can't assist with passwords, you may want to read the rules page at www.techguy.org/rules.html.

closing thread.

thanks,

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/elusive-security-for-network.948898/
Relevancy 37.41%

Hello All, I have some guests in the home for Christmas and have been asked to let them use our Net Gear Home network. I have a laptop of my own that I set up to share files with my desktop, however it's screen is broken and I can't use it now. How can I let our guests use our home network and protect all of our information on the desktop?

Relevancy 37.41%

There are computers and wireless devices connected successfully to our network Now we are trying to add a Dell Windows computer This computer sees the network name and when we click on its name it says it trying to connect for a couple seconds but then it says quot Windows was unable to connect to network quot We can t even get to the screen to enter the Network Security Key The Dell Windows computer is able to connect to other networks just not this one The router is a D-Link DIR- L The computer is able to connect to the router using a cable I have tried hard reboots of the router modems Security enter in Network even Can't Key and even resetting the network name and network Can't even enter in Network Security Key security key Any help would be appreciated Here is the ipconfig all Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Kenneth Fleischer gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name KennethFleische Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Broadcast IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Physical Address F - B-CB- -BC- B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description DW Wireless-N Half-Mini Card Physical Address F - B-CB- -BC- B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address A -BA-DB-B - E-AF DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Reusable ISATAP Interface FE B - C - AE -AE - B B EF Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap FB -E - -AAE -A D A Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap B F - E - D-B DA- CE D D Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Reusable ISATAP Interface E DB C - A - DD-B -ABB FE E B Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Users Kenneth Fleischer gt nbsp

Relevancy 37.41%

Hello forum. Thank you for taking the time to review my issue.

This is the scenario: Set up is for a is for a pharmacy. One internet connection (one cable or DSL modem) and one router.

User currently has a security camera on the network which is accessible from the internet via port forwarding.

User is accepting credit cards and before being approved by the processing company they initiated a "scan" of the pharmacy network and saw a vulnerability on port 80 ( the port the security camera is using)

Question is, which is the best (not necessarily the easiest) way to fix this?

Thank you for your assistance!

JP

Relevancy 37.41%

Hi all, Using windows 7, I have a persistent problem connecting to the Internet. When I try to connect to my router (wifi), I get "Network Security Key Mismatch" after entering the password for my connection. I am 100% positive that I am typing the password correctly. I have tried manually creating the network connection, so I can specify the security type, etc. I get the same result. I can connect to my neighbours unprotected wifi, so I know the hardware and drivers are functional. The problem is only when I connect to my router (linksys). It works fine when using Vista. This is the only thing stopping me from using Windows 7 full time (and indeed purchasing it for my three family computers). Can anybody help me? I've trawled the Internet many times looking for an answer. Thanks in advance, Nik

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/daa8ed80-61f3-4d03-a417-bdcdb3ab67f2/network-security-key-mismatch?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 37.41%

Can you help me figure out how to get a security enabled network? I listed when registering that I am computer illiterate which is definitaly true, so you will have to be slow and patient with me. Thanks.

Relevancy 37.41%

I've recently purchased a Dell laptop, and have set up a wireless network using a Netgear router. I'm new to this kind of thing. I've heard that there can be security issues. Can someone explain this to me, and what I would need to do?

Thanks for any and all help.

Relevancy 37.41%

hi just a quick question what steps can i take to ensure that my browsing history remains private throughout my home network my partner is the network admin i think she was using open dns so i began using network/browsing security!!! ultrasurf to try and get round but it didn t allow me access to all sites i then changed my IPv properties using an alternative dns server option or the main problem i have is that i m yrs old i network/browsing security!!! pay the bills etc and she is taking what ever steps she feels she has to network/browsing security!!! to police mine and our kids browsing activities i have asked her to only implement changes to the kids laptops browsing etc etc but changes have been made throughout and affect all machines other than hers it seems so what can i do guys i want to be able to browse download and talk to who i want without having to worry about it i don t know very much about this area so would really appreciate some help many thanks dion nbsp

Relevancy 37.41%

Hi guys. When I use a key for my wireless security my network fails.
If I disable the security everything works fine.
Any ideas please?

I have a linksys WAG160N. Most of my PCs are on XP but not all.

Relevancy 37.41%

This goes out to any user that may know this off hand and not just the mods and admins on the forum.

I currently have an active thread in the virus section as I do indeed have a virus that im fighting, however things have changed a bit and im having one heck of a time getting online long enough to view the forum much lest post on it.

My issue is that this virus is doing just a retarded amount of tcp\ip remote log ins and I would very much like to stop that. What im looking for is a way to do this.

Im currently connected via a hardline into a router and not wireless.

Thanks for anyone that can help me with this.

A:Network security question

Until your computer has been given a clean bill of health by an analyst on the virus removal forum other members are not permitted to offer advice concerning this problem. Any changes not authorized by an analyst could make resolution of this problem more difficult and further damage your system. If you are unable to reply on the infected computer you will need to do so on an uninfected system.

You should direct this question to the virus removal forum. Others members are not permitted to help you.

Thread closed.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/network-security-question-624765.html
Relevancy 37.41%

Hi, i need some help here pliz:

There is a a lan (100mbps) working as a workgroup. There is a Dell Server with Win2k Standard Server. A router wich is sharing Internet.. Mail is hosted by BRINKSTER.

there are 9 workstations - 1 server.. all of them have Windows OSs.

I need to make my network saftier..

First thing i did: installed Mcafee Virus Scan Enterprise 80i everywhere (workstations and server) + Microsoft Antispyware...An Auto Update architect for Antivirus Dats have being installed too..

Im thinking to install antispam on ever pc whith Outlook installed. For Internet permissions, ill migrate everything to a domain, so then i will be able to manage internet sharing... but i need a name for a software who i can install and stop messenger and stuff like that...

Any suggestions??

A:Windows Network Security

First, if you have a netwrok or you are paranoid enough, install a box on the network with win2003 server as a domain controller and set up your domain.

as for software to stop messenger - please clarify.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-network-security.41419/
Relevancy 37.41%

I've recently moved into a new place and my flatmates already has a wireless connection. So I attempted to connect to the network but it keeps saying "Security key is incorrect".

My flatmate reassures me that she is giving me the correct security key. My flatmates can all connect with no problems, so I'm not sure what it is that I am doing wrong. Something like this has never happened to me before.

Help would be much appreciated.

Relevancy 37.41%

I was just curious what recommendations anyone has in regards to extensively learning network security. I'm referring to mitigating any type of dos attack, dns poisoning, etc. Pretty much anything in regards to network security.

I know there are online universities for becoming proficient at malware removal, but I'm not sure about network security. If not, what would be the best certifications to go for? I've always wanted to do CCNA, but I'm not sure what all is covered for that.

A:Become Network Security Expert

If you want to go after a security certification, the most well known one is called the CISSP (certified information systems security professional). There are various places which provide training and there is an exam you need to pass to get this certification and continuing education credits required to keep your CISSP certification active and current.

Many universities are creating programs around cyber security. One such university is University of Maryland which is feeding off of one of the largest employers of cyber security professionals in their back yard....NSA.

Another place you can go which provides classes in IT security is SANS. You can go onto their websites to see when they'll have a conference which has training classes attached to it will be in your area or near your area.

With regards to the CCNA, it is a specific certification for networking centered around Cisco. It's the first step in the certification ladder of Cisco which as CCNP and CCIE as the next tiers. As you tunnel through the Cisco certifications, each one will allow you to specialize in a specific area of networking. The CCIE certification is viewed as the ultimate certification in networking. With the CCIE cert, there are specific fields of concentration such as data center, security, routing, voice, etc, etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/become-network-security-expert.1123807/