Windows Support Forum

Preventing others on network from viewing my shared folders

Q: Preventing others on network from viewing my shared folders

I m running Windows Home Premium on the three Preventing folders others viewing from shared network on my machines I have at home All three Preventing others on network from viewing my shared folders are connected to the same network I would like to share files between two of the machines so I created a homegroup and added only these two machines For the folders I would like to share between the two I changed the folder s sharing permission from Everyone to Homegroup What I have noticed is the third machine that is not part of this homegroup it is owned by a student who is temporarily renting a room in our house is still able to view the other machines from within windows explorer and even double click on them to get a listing of folders that are being shared Granted when they try to open any of these folders they get a message saying they do not have the required permission Ideally I would like to have the homegroup machines only visible in explorer to users who are part of the homegroup Likewise any user not in the homegroup would not be able to see the other machines in explorer Is this setup possible

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Preventing others on network from viewing my shared folders

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Preventing others on network from viewing my shared folders

It sounds to me like you do not want this student to be a part of your regular network at all.

Some routers "like mine" have a guest zone for a wireless connection that is outside your normal network. That would prevent them from seeing those folders. The set up and options for routers is different so it's difficult to give exact directions for this.

For a wired connection you may be able to set up a static IP address outside the normal range of your regular network for them to connect too.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/222626-preventing-others-network-viewing-my-shared-folders.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hello people, Win7 is running flawlessly except I have this one problem. When I go to install ANY anti-virus software it kills my ability to access the shared files and folders from my Win7 machine. I uninstall the AV and all is back to normal.

Is there something I am missing or doing wrong? Any advice would be 'preicated.

dot
dot
mezz,
dot
dot
stun,
slash
slash
dot
dot
DEAD!

A:Shared Folders Over The Network

Hello LVL50RR9,

Sounds more likely to be a firewall issue rather than an AV issue. are you trying to install an AV suite that contains a firewall?

If so you need to open the required ports on the W7 PC to allow file sharing.

I normally open ports 135 - 138 and 445 for win 7 - how you do this depends on the firewall involved

hope this helps

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/3331-shared-folders-over-network.html
Relevancy 70.09%

First of all I know this is a forum for Windows and related But I'm hoping if some advanced user can shed some light on this I have Windows Pro installed signed in with for Password folders over shared network my Microsoft a c I have some folders shared on the network through Password for shared folders over network Wifi I also have an Android device with a File Manager that has SMB capabilities Now I want the to connect to my shared folders through the app which works perfectly fine But what my Password for shared folders over network requirement is that if anybody else want to connect to those shared folders with the same or another app I have to give out my Microsoft Account password for that Is there a way that I can avoid this password giving What I'm looking is for creating another set of credentials to access the shared folders without giving away my Microsoft account details I assume I can create a local account and do the same Is there any other way Password for shared folders over network I can do this Thanks for taking time to read this

A:Password for shared folders over network

First, you can ask your Windows 8 / 8.1 questions at our sister forums: Windows 8 Forums

About your issue, if password protected sharing is enabled, only way to get to network shares on your Windows 8 machine from any other device is to use the Windows 8 machines credentials. You can setup as many user profiles (Microsoft Account or local) on it as you wish.

When a user from another device now connects to a network share on the Windows 8 machine, he must enter valid credentials. An example: Set up a password protected local account on your Windows 8 machine, let's call it ShareUser. Now you can give your guest users username ShareUser with its password and they can log in to shared folders.

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/331856-password-shared-folders-over-network.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hello guys, excellent forum here, I've read for many years.

I'm having problems with a network setup consisting of one server running windows 7 pro, two workstations both windows 7 pro, and one workstation with windows xp pro.

The problem I am having is I can't see any newly created folder or file shares created on the server machine (windows 7 pro) when browsing from workstation 1 (windows 7 pro) or workstation 2 (windows xp pro). I can see the new shares from workstation 3 (windows 7 pro).

I can see old shares created on the server from all machines and can create new folders and files with in those shares from all workstations.

The access permissions have been setup to allow "everyone" access with full control under both sharing and security tabs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Can't see all shared folders across windows network

I believe that if you go to the C:>Users folder' or it might be a different folder depending on how you set it up, by default Windows controls the sharing from the Users folder'>Properties>Security tab> Advanced tab>Change permissions tab "first picture">Then click the button to "Enable inheritance' second picture".

It might also require you to put the check mark to Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permissions etc. depending on what you are doing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/308235-cant-see-all-shared-folders-across-windows-network.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Trying to get my windows network file sharing up and running again after months not using it i ran network setup wizard on both machines and now internet sharing is enabled and runs perfectly The problem is in network places view workgroup computers i double click the other computers icon to try and get a listing of shared files on that computer and it comes up with the error family is not accessible you might not have permission to use this network resource contact the administrator of this server its just a regular workstation to find out if you have access permissions This is really bugging me because there are no passwords on either of the computers and i have run the network setup wizard Windows on Network Shared Folders many Shared Folders on Windows Network times and tried many different options to get file sharing to work The most weird thing is i can use the icons for shared network resources in my network places to gain access to the folders that do appear there about half of the total shared folders Windows knowledgebase is useless surprised i am not and all the other similar cases seem to be unsolved just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or knows what the problem could be a result of some info Both PC s running windows XP SP I have tried disabling firewalls on both computers Both computers are plugged into a D-link dsl- port adsl router and can use the internet and shared printer with no troubles Any help would be Extremely appreciated Cheers Scott nbsp

A:Shared Folders on Windows Network

for clarity, port 139 and 445 are used for print/file sharing.

On the remote computer (ie the one without the folder being accessed),
use the Exploter Tool/Map Network Drive menu

pick a drive letter
click Browse
open the Workgroup and then the computer name you want
you should see a list of Sharible Folders to select from
IF so, continue with the selection

If NOT, then reverify, that all systems have the same Workgroup name
(ie: XP defaults to MSHOME)
Also, set the Guest account password on all systems and THEN disable
Guest Login. This then restricts file sharing to those who know the password
(just in case there's a security breach into one of the systems).

If the computer Names do not show, then check your firewall for ports above,
otherwise seeing the names implies the firewall is set correctly

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/shared-folders-on-windows-network.51643/
Relevancy 70.09%

Please point me to previous posts on this issue but I ve spent days searching for this wierd problem My desktop s My Network Places stopped accepting its own new share files folders Previous file shares are in My Network My vs Folders Network Places Shared Places on three XP computers two Home one XP Pro Media and sharing still works My main desktop stopped recognizing new folder sharing changes on the main desktop but sees sharing changes on other workstation on the network Please note that I am not having problem seeing shares on other computers on the net This is only on the one computer with its own share folders This desktop has XP Home The main purpose Shared Folders vs My Network Places of sharing is syncing files with a laptop running XP Media Center As a workaround I been using my mapped drive with file compares in xplorer to quot sync quot When I try to force a new share by using quot Add a network place quot I get quot The folder you entered does not appear valid Please choose another quot None of the folder shares I create on my C or backup drive will now appear in My Network Places The older shares that appear in My Network Places continue to work on the net Bob nbsp

Relevancy 70.09%

I have Windows 8.1 Pro installed signed in with my Microsoft a/c. I have some folders shared on the network through Wifi. I also have an Android device with a File Manager that has SMB capabilities.

Now I want the to connect to my shared folders through the app which works perfectly fine. But what my requirement is that if anybody else want to connect to those shared folders (with the same or another app), I have to give out my Microsoft Account password for that.

Is there a way that I can avoid this password giving? What I'm looking is for creating another set of credentials to access the shared folders without giving away my Microsoft account details. I assume I can create a local account and do the same. Is there any other way I can do this?

Thanks for taking time to read this.

A:Password for shared folders over network

If you don't want to block anyone from reading I would try creating an account called "anonymous" with password "anonymous" and give that account Read access in the folder permissions. Or you can set it to something else if you don't want strangers to guess the login details.

Edit: You may want to change your MS password once you get the alternative to work.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/46536-password-shared-folders-over-network.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Techspotters,

This should be simple to fix but I'm having a problem figuring it out. A customer as 4 PCs, all running XP. 3 are XP Pro and one is XP Home. All are connected peer-to-peer through a router. Assigned all of them to a new workgroup and they can see each other. There is one PC that the others cannot access its shared folders. We can access its shared printer folder. Searched the web and tried various solutions including editing the registry but still nothing's working. We get the error "\\Dad\c is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource" and either "not enough server storage is available to process this command" or "the network path is not found" Also, this one is a laptop that is connceted wirelessly whereas the others are connected directly to the router.

Any suggestions?

A:Cannot Access Shared Folders on XP Network

Sometimes there's nothing simple about Windows Networking and File Sharing!

You said they can all see each other?

The only issue is accessing a shared folder on one of the PCs? But the shared printers on that PC are accessible?

To make this easier to discuss particulars, could you tell me the following about each computer and then i (we) can both refer to a machine by name to avoid confusion.

- Machine Name
- XP Pro or XP Home?
- LAN or Wireless connected

And which computer (tell me machine name) has a shared folder not accessible to others.

Also, it sounds like the problem is down to just an authentication issue but i'll offer these links as fyi's you may want to at least skim through to check things. Also, we'll also probably find LanSpy (described in Part1) helpful to diagnose this

TROUBLESHOOT: Part1, XP File and Printer Sharing

Part 2, ?Troubleshoot: XP File and Printer Sharing, Computers Not Found? Diagnose Computer Browser Service

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-access-shared-folders-on-xp-network.108179/
Relevancy 70.09%

I have a hard drive on our network file/print server that is shared, yet when I try to save a file to a folder in that drive, I get a "You do not have permission to save in this location..."

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/392030-shared-folders-network-restricted.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I have a home network for my DSL connection and two computers I am using an actiontec gateway to connect the computers I had my network running fine but one day it just quit on me For clarafication i shall call the newer dell computer A and the older dell computer B Computer A has the windows standard firewall as well as the Mcaffee firewall At one point i had to setup the mcaffee firewall for my network and then it was fixed Computer B only has the windows standard firewall On computer A i can see my shared folders and computer B s shared folders in my network places But on computer B since the mysterious problem i can only see the shared folders on computer B But on computer B if i go to quot view workgroup computers quot i can still see computer A there but it says i don t have permission I tried to set permission to one of the user names on B but it didn t work any folders one my network/shared connect only way help anyone i have no clue what i m doing nbsp

A:my network/shared folders only connect one way

maybe try disabling the mcaffee firewall and see if that is blocking it. also try disabling the windows firewall and leaving mcaffee on. if none of this works disable all the firewalls.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-network-shared-folders-only-connect-one-way.24792/
Relevancy 70.09%

I bought a new desktop and have 2 laptops. The desktop is my main computer and would like to create shared folders or a Partitioned network drive between them. Would I be better off making a partition on my desktop that would have all my files, etc. on it and then just have the laptops map to it by a Network Drive. Or should I make a shared folder between the desktop and the 2 laptops. Is there a benifit that one has over the other? What would you do?

A:Shared Folders vs. Network Drives

Little better explination:

My harddrive has 2 partitions: C: 60GB and S: 20GB

C: has the operating system and programs on it while

S: currently has documents, pictures, quickbooks files, music, etc.

Would I be fine to Map to the S: drive from my laptops (it would show up as a network drive under My Computer) 2 partitions used
Or just share the folders that have the files in them (My Documents Folder) and only have; 1 partition used
Which one would be more convenient to use?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/shared-folders-vs-network-drives.48706/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi,
I have a d-link router and also some shared folders.
A friend of mine wants to use my router from his home for Internet, fine with me, but I don't want him to have access to my shared folders.
How can I do it? (We both using XP)
If he isn't in my workgroup that will do it? He also won't see the shortcuts to my shared folders in his "my documents" folder?

Thanks

Relevancy 70.09%

After upgrading from XP Pro to W7 64, users can no longer access network folders when working remotely using a VPN. Users were able to access the folders using XP Pro. Users can access other network devices, such as printers, when working remotely. Users are able to access network folders when working locally on the network.

To trouble-shoot, I have ensured the security and share settings are set correctly on the network folders. I have also changed some settings in gpedit/computer configuration/windows settings/security settings/local policies/security options. All had no positive affect. Can still access network shares remotely using XP.

Thanks, Pablo.

A:W7 Cannot Connect to Shared Network Folders

Is your router Windows 7 compatible?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/117978-w7-cannot-connect-shared-network-folders.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I am setting up a ubuntu server on an old box.
I need to clear my login credentials frequently to log into the same share with a different username/password.
After I have opened a network share i'll open a console and use the net view command to clear out my session.
When I open up the network view and attempt to re-open the previous network share, windows 7 will blue screen and reboot before I can see what it says. The error states something about hardware.
I have looked for the memory.dmp file but I don't think it is being written.

This sounds like a unique or new problem. Does anybody have an idea of what is going on?

A:blue screen crash when viewing network folders

Have you checked for updated drivers for your network hardware?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blue-screen-crash-when-viewing-network-folders.909242/
Relevancy 69.23%

Just like the title says when see network Can't work. at shared folders/printers I m at work I can t see any of our file server s shared folders or any of our networked or shared printers when I m on my laptop I could a few weeks ago before I reformatted after getting a nasty virus Bt after reformatting it just didn t see the printers or shared files What s more nobody can see Can't see shared network folders/printers at work. my computer connected either After I messed around with the settings workgroup and computer name I can t even see the workgroup that the printers and server are on Heck I can t even see the workgroup that I M on which means that if I go to quot View Entire Network quot and go to Microsoft Windows Network it shows a total of zero workgroups there Obviously I m connected since I can connect to the internet And I know that I m connected to the correct router And I can login to the router s admin panel and I can see my computer in the DHCP area So it sees me Can't see shared network folders/printers at work. So help If you need more informatoin feel free to ask nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-see-shared-network-folders-printers-at-work.55139/
Relevancy 69.23%

This is strange. I have shared a folder on an external drive with "Everyone". In this folder are several other folders, and photos in each of those. When I go to my TV and open the folder, only ONE of the folders inside shows up. I have tried sharing each folder individually, and also tried selecting all of them and sharing, but nothing has worked so far. The puzzling thing is that the one folder that does show up has the same properties, sharing etc. as all the others, as well as the containing folder does show up, as I said. What might be causing this?

A:Shared folders not showing up on network devices

Is it possible TV can't see multiple folders? Does it work if you share them at C (just create a folder with few folders inside and put 2 pictures in each)?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/372924-shared-folders-not-showing-up-network-devices.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I have a 'Home' network with two pcs running win7 home premium 64 bit and a DXtreme set top box connected by cat5 cables. The two pcs can share and open folders and can ping each other and the set top box ok. The set top box can log on to the network and access the shared folders on each computer but can't open them without network username and password.I am using Homegroup on the network. The set top box does not show up on the network map or 'other devices'.I am running the main computer as administrator. The set top box can access the internet ok, I want to use it to play stored videos on the computers thru the tv.One solution I found advised using secpol.msc to disable username requirements but it isn't available on this version of win 7. Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks Bill Hanley

A:DXtreme set top box on network can't open shared folders on pc

Quote: Originally Posted by billhanley

I have a 'Home' network with two pcs running win7 home premium 64 bit and a DXtreme set top box connected by cat5 cables. The two pcs can share and open folders and can ping each other and the set top box ok. The set top box can log on to the network and access the shared folders on each computer but can't open them without network username and password.I am using Homegroup on the network. The set top box does not show up on the network map or 'other devices'.I am running the main computer as administrator. The set top box can access the internet ok, I want to use it to play stored videos on the computers thru the tv.One solution I found advised using secpol.msc to disable username requirements but it isn't available on this version of win 7. Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks Bill Hanley

So you require access to folders on the Homegroup machines from the DXtreme so you can play the video's etc. And you can't access the Homegroup shares from the DX without typing in a User name and password from one of the machines.

Have you tried turning off password protected sharing in the Advanced Sharing Settings at the Network and Sharing Center?

This might work better if you add the Everyone share + read/write to the Library you need to access.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/306652-dxtreme-set-top-box-network-cant-open-shared-folders-pc.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi I have a new HP W laptop that originally had Windows XP Professional installed from the factory I just received my Windows Professional bit upgrade kit and have installed it on my computer I also have a Desktop PC that is running Windows XP Professional Prior to installing Windows on my laptop I was able to see the shared folders on HP W laptop while running the Windows XP Professional operating system I would like to be able to access the shared files on my Desktop computer can XP Network on shared see folders 7 windows laptop that is running Windows XP Professional with the HP W laptop that is running Windows Professional bit I am a novice when it comes to networks and would appreciate any suggestions on what to do to get this to work I anticipate installing Windows on my desktop in the near future but have not done the conversion as of this date I would appreciate some step by can windows 7 laptop see XP shared folders on Network step instructions if they are available and not too much trouble to pass on to me I am running a TRENDNET TEW- BRP wireless router H W vDl OR Thanks in advance for any help you can offer John

A:can windows 7 laptop see XP shared folders on Network

Quote: Originally Posted by john8710w

Hi,

I have a new HP8710W laptop that originally had Windows XP Professional installed from the factory. I just received my Windows 7 Professional 32 bit upgrade kit and have installed it on my computer

I also have a Desktop PC that is running Windows XP Professional.

Prior to installing Windows 7 on my laptop I was able to see the shared folders on HP8710W laptop while running the Windows XP Professional operating system. I would like to be able to access the shared files on my Desktop computer that is running Windows XP Professional with the HP8710W laptop that is running Windows 7 Professional 32 bit. I am a novice when it comes to networks and would appreciate any suggestions on what to do to get this to work.

I anticipate installing Windows 7 on my desktop in the near future but have not done the conversion as of this date.

I would appreciate some step by step instructions if they are available and not too much trouble to pass on to me.

I am running a TRENDNET TEW-432BRP wireless router H/W:vDl.OR

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

John

John Hi and welcome

Win 7 can use 2 different ways to network. Homegroup is the first. Primarily for all win 7 machines on it. Workgroup for mixed environments. If you are going to put win 7 on the other machine homegroup will work. If not workgroup would be preferred. In work group it is easier to configure and is more stabile.

Your call.
Let us know when yo are ready

Hope this helps

Ken J+

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/43497-can-windows-7-laptop-see-xp-shared-folders-network.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hello all Hello all I have scoured some Network in Shared Folders Places showing not up of the messages on this subject on this site and others and still have no results My main computer is an Ibuypower running Windows XP The other computer is a Dell running Windows Me They are both connected thru a router both can Shared Folders not showing up in Network Places access the internet Both computers can ping each other in DOS mode although with the Dell I get a few quot timed out quot messages before it goes thru Windows Firewall is enabled Norton Firewall is turned off with it on the ibuypower could not access the internet In the ibuypower Windows XP under quot My Network Places quot it just lists the shared folders on that computer On the Dell Windows Me in quot Network Neighborhood quot it lists only its own shared folders When I click quot Add a Network Place quot in Windows XP it DOES show the name of the Dell computer in the drop down menu after you click quot Browse quot but there are no folders there I've even changed the name of the Windows Me computer on that computer and the name change does register on the Windows XP computer so they must at least be communicating Both computers are in the same workgroup and both have the same usernames and passwords to start up Windows Could anyone point me in the right direction as to troubleshooting

A:Shared Folders not showing up in Network Places

Does the Windows ME have the NetBEUI component installed?
Right click on network connection > Properties > look in the components list

Does the XP have Use Simple File Sharing checked?
My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/shared-folders-not-showing-up-in-network-places-22463.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hello all and all the best for the Holidays I have a few systems at home on the same workgroup but for some reason I m not able to open view files between them All systems have full admin rights under my user name Each pc folders on PC's home Not shared network....HELP!! accessing between see s the other shares but clicking on them produces either quot the workgroup quot is not accessible or the respecitve pc is not accessible messages Not accessing shared folders between PC's on home network....HELP!! All state that there are no permissions Not accessing shared folders between PC's on home network....HELP!! I ve rerun the quot setup home or small office network and identified the correct connection type And I ve run the Network ID and selected the quot home use quot option which resets to workgroup but I change back to my own name The folders are marked share with no editing option and the computer names are unique to each This used to be working and I ve only just noticed that it stopped I feel it s something minor that I ve overlooked but I am at a loss right now Any help amp or suggestions would be appreciated Thank you nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/not-accessing-shared-folders-between-pcs-on-home-network-help.18664/
Relevancy 69.23%

I just set up a little wireless network at home and access it with two laptops. i have selected two media folders on one laptop to be shared on the network in my workgroup. when i try to access these folders through the other laptop i get the error message saying "you might not have permission to access to use this network resource. contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have permissions." and "the network path was not found."

i dont know much about networking at all so im not sure how to correct this problem. please help

A:Granting permission to shared folders on network

Are you prompted for a username and password? Since you are on "workgroup" mode, you will need to either allow "Everyone" access to the shared folders, or connect to the shares as SHAREDPCNAME\USERNAME instead of just USERNAME.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/granting-permission-to-shared-folders-on-network.552767/
Relevancy 69.23%

It may be buried in here somewhere but thought I'd throw this out there just in case or to help folks that haven't found a solution here I was having trouble suddenly with several folders shared between my win and boxes As far as I know they had worked before and suddenly I was getting you need permission errors from the to box and at least one from the to box Poked around here looked at my security settings tried a few things but nothing worked Then I remembered that some folders need a Everyone box with at least the basic permissions set I checked a working folder and it had Everyone with all boxes checked checked a non working one and Everyone was not there Pretty folders on drives network showing Some shared not on sure it HAD been there but it wasn't now added it to all the bad Some folders not showing on shared drives on network folders and now both boxes are again happily sharing the drives and folders I picked again Like I said it's probably already in here somewhere but a good reminder for anyone having weird file sharing problems with only a few folders yet all the others work

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/41606-some-folders-not-showing-shared-drives-network.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Please bear with me, this problem is a little tricky to explain.
I have 2 computers (A and B) on a home network, connected through a router and hard-wired with Cat5 cable.
They are both running Windows XP Pro SP3 and file/print sharing is turned on. Simple file sharing is turned on.
Both computers can Ping each other successfully.
Both computers can "Net View" each other successfully.
Both computers can see the other's shared folders in My Network Places.
Computer A can access the shared folders on Computer B and transfer files, etc.
Computer B can ONLY access the SharedDocs folder on A and not any of the other shared folders.
When I try, I get an Access Denied window.

I cannot understand why I can access one folder (SharedDocs) but none of the others.

Thanks for any insights you might provide.

Ken

A:Network Shared Folders Access Problem

The problem is solved. It was caused by access permissions needing to be reset. The following link was extremely helpful in solving this issue:
http://www.doublehammer.com/winxp/set_file_folder_security.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-shared-folders-access-problem.727138/
Relevancy 69.23%

Please bear with me, this problem is a little tricky to explain.
I have 2 computers (A and B) on a home network, connected through a router and hard-wired with Cat5 cable.
They are both running Windows XP Pro SP3 and file/print sharing is turned on. Simple file sharing is turned on.
Both computers can Ping each other successfully.
Both computers can "Net View" each other successfully.
Both computers can see the other's shared folders in My Network Places.
Computer A can access the shared folders on Computer B and transfer files, etc.
Computer B can ONLY access the SharedDocs folder on A and not any of the other shared folders.
When I try, I get an Access Denied window.

I cannot understand why I can access one folder (SharedDocs) but none of the others.

Thanks for any insights you might provide.

Ken

A:Network Shared Folders Access Problem

The problem is solved. It was caused by access permissions needing to be reset. The following link was extremely helpful in solving this issue:
http://www.doublehammer.com/winxp/se...r_security.htm

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/network-shared-folders-access-problem-265764.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I've been wracking my brains, but cannot make this work in windows 7. It was super easy in xp. How can I set up 2 computers to share folders? I've created a homegroup, on both computers, but still they aren't communicating. Anybody know how to do this?
Thanks!

A:Creating a home network for shared folders

Hi- I posted a reply to your "Windows 7 problems" thread and just want to notify you in case you aren?t keeping an eye on it any longer.
Elsa

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/208783-creating-home-network-shared-folders.html
Relevancy 69.23%

We have windows nt for our network. I have win 95 on my pc. Although, on network server, my name has access to the specific server drive and shown as full access to files, i cannot access from my pc. Keep getting error message: "Access to the specified device, path or file is denied." I can only access files on my c:\ and some files from other drives on network. Please help!!!

A:Cannot Access All Folders/Applications even though shared on Network

Is the NT server a Domain controller or a standalone server? If DC, then you need an account in the domain. If a standalone you need an account on the server. Otherwise you could enable the guest account, but that is not recommended. Also, make sure that permissions are set for sub-folders as well. If your problems persist, you can create a new sharename for the folder/partition and set the permisions for that. Hope this helps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-all-folders-applications-even-though-shared-on-network.29606/
Relevancy 69.23%

My desktop shortcuts to network shared folders disappear once in a while.

I made a clean install of Windows 7 64 Bits. All the local shortcuts are fine.

I have no clue why they disappear. It has been a couple of times now.

Anybody has the same issue?

Thanks
I found a similar thread here but it seems like it was for Windows XP 64 Bits:

disappearing mapped drive shortcuts on desktop

A:Shortcuts to Network Shared Folders disappear once in a while

Quote: Originally Posted by lebrocoli

My desktop shortcuts to network shared folders disappear once in a while.

I made a clean install of Windows 7 64 Bits. All the local shortcuts are fine.

I have no clue why they disappear. It has been a couple of times now.

Anybody has the same issue?

Thanks

I found a similar thread here but it seems like it was for Windows XP 64 Bits:

disappearing mapped drive shortcuts on desktop

In order to create a proper network shortcut with Windows 7 you need to do it a certain way for the shortcut to work properly. It's easy once you know how. Just follow the link below.
Network Folder Shortcut - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/87665-shortcuts-network-shared-folders-disappear-once-while.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Problem: New sub-folders not showing up!

So basically new folders added by uTorrent to my "Download" folder which is shared to everyone on my network don't show up when I access the folder from any computer on the network. (except the one where the files are located)

I have to say they do eventually show up... I guess when I restart the host or something maybe? I haven't taken the time to test it.

Anyone has a suggestion?

A:New subfolders in a network shared folders not showing up

I would first check to see that the download folder is indeed shared to everyone by putting a test file (say a document, nothing from Utorrent) just to pinpoint the actual problem. Are you saying that the folder does show up later, after a computer restart?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/163524-new-subfolders-network-shared-folders-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi
I was wondering if it is possible to make multiple shared folders to appear under one network drive. Also, other new shared folders should automatically appear under the same network drive.
Any ideas?

A:Multiple shared folders under one network drive?

Not sure I understand. Do you mean like this?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/203794-multiple-shared-folders-under-one-network-drive.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I can t access shared folders that are in shared accessing network folders over trouble Having my desktop pc Rest of my computers are able to access it just fine but my laptop refuses to do so i try quot Add Network Place Wizard quot and manually put my network address quot netddos-pc Having trouble accessing shared folders over network xxxxxx quot and Having trouble accessing shared folders over network after mins or so a window pops up requesting a login information i didn t put any access contraints so i m perplexed as to why it is asking login information such as username and password the laptop is able to surf the net just fine it even can access NAS HDD just fine why can t it see a networked folder that s on my desktop desktop has windows vista laptop has windows xp sp even then i see no problem because other desktop pcs i have are windows xp powered any idea is there a software that lets you share over the network i m fed up with windows buggy network sharing software ps under workgroup laptop sees the desktop just fine when i click on the icon it asks for the login info again nbsp

Relevancy 69.23%

Dear All,

I am working in domain with 30 desktops and one server. Every user is able to access shared folders from every other system as per rights assigned.

But in one system, whenever an user tries to access shared folder he gets the following message:

"\\*.*.*.* is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The account is not authorised to log in from this station."
This message appears for all users including local administrator, domain administrator and users.

All systems can be pinged from this system. Also, all other sytems can access shared folders from this system.

Is there any registry related issue or some hardening issue(uses rights assignment)???
or is there some change to be made in ADS related to this particular PC.

Nitin

Relevancy 69.23%

I have some network folders with and files It's very slow opening those folders just to see the files anywhere contents Win7 of large viewing slow network folders very from - sec I've read lots of google articles and even several from this forum Many articles are several years old so I'm not sure how relevent I've customized the folders in Win for general items and checked quot also apply this template to subfolders quot I went to power options and chose Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders advanced and changed the setting quot turn off HD after min to min hours I've disabled sleep mode I have indexing off for all my HD's because this is an audio recording computer and I Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders try to stop as many Windows background tasks from operating in the background If turning indexing back on will solve this problem then I'd try it As soon as I boot up into Win and try to access those network folders I get this long delay yet if I try to access local win folders they open up right away and have files So my problem is with the network I have XP network computers wired and the latest updated Win Is there a solution

A:Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders

Age old problem but with many possible solutions, many of those solutions are mentioned in the following link.

It could also be that updating the routers firmware or using a different router could fix the problem as is described in the link but there are quite a few other possible causes and solutions in the link.

Extremely slow file transfers and network access...

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/320530-win7-very-slow-viewing-contents-large-network-folders.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I have some network folders with and files It's slow network of Win7 viewing very contents large folders very slow opening those folders just to see the files anywhere from - sec I've read lots of google articles and even several from this forum Many articles are several years old so I'm not sure how relevent I've customized the folders in Win for general items and checked quot also apply this template to subfolders quot I went to power options and chose advanced and changed the Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders setting quot turn off HD after min to min hours I've disabled sleep mode I have indexing off for all my HD's because this is an audio recording computer and I try to stop as many Windows background tasks from operating in the background If turning indexing back on will solve this problem then I'd try it As soon as I boot up into Windows and try to access those network folders I get this long delay yet if I try to access local Windows Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders folders they open up right away and have files So my problem is with Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders the network I have XP network computers wired and the latest updated Win Is there a solution

A:Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders

How fast is the network?

Practically speaking I think your solution is to break the network folders into subfolders with fewer files each. Or get faster network hardware.

Edit: depending on file type another way to speed up would be to disable thumbnails and use Details View.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/320632-win7-very-slow-viewing-contents-large-network-folders.html
Relevancy 68.37%

The title basically says it all ... I have a Windows 10 pc in a private network with 4 external hdds attached. On these drives, I have shared a number of folders. In the Explorer, these folders are shown as type Share in the Network section. In the Homegroup section of the Explorer however, only some of my shared folders are visible. And I cannot access the other folders from other computers in my network. To make it even more frustrating, on the same external hdd some folders may be accessed in the Homegroup, and others not, even though I have gone through the exactly same motions with all these folders when sharing them. I would appreciate any and all suggestions and help to solve this problem!

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/67989-shared-windows-10-network-folders-not-visible-homegroup.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hello I have network confused name, Small folders, I shared am Workgroup with a small network composed by a Tv Cable a Modem high speed cisco a Router belkin f d computers and cellphones Then internet connection is working ok on all of them but I am having problems understanding how to safety connect the devices between them trough lan and with different internet connection setup scenarios The Scenarios are this All devices are connected to the internet trough the router as in the picture below The internet connection is working on all of them Computer A- a new and fresh install of windows xp B- a new and fresh install of windows C- Java phone with the sdcard and phone memory shared D- Workgroup name, Small network with shared folders, I am confused Android phone nothing shared on it yet maybe sometimes in the far future A router a modem cables -I wish to share some folders on the computer A that I can see them from computer B -I wish to share some folders on computer B that I can see them from computer A -The mobile phone C is having wireless and is always sharing all it contents when is connected with no settings done on the phone or in windows I am able to see it in the network and copy-transfer-delete files on it from the computer B windows but sometimes I have problems from computer A windowsXp -I wish to use RDP on computer A Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection and to be accesibile only in Lan -I wish to use RDP on computer B and to be accessible In LAn and Over the Internet -I wish to be able to use TeamViever on all computers available over the Internet Now I am curious why is so damn hard to quot see quot the phone C from the computer A Is XP Lan somehow messed up It always laggs and hangs and damn freeze when I go to the netwok places in contrast to windows which is running fast as a rabbit with no lag hangs freeze If I will share stuff on computer B win when I will access them from the computer A winxp I will always have this freeze hangs and lags In this scenario I assume that the shared folders will not be accessible from the internet and will be visible only in the lan network right I don't wish to make the folders public like a ftp server just to be visible in the network which is after the router Sometimes when the internet connection is down the Internet Service Provider is asking me to connect the cable which is from the modem directly to the computer A or B bypassing the router for making a diagnosis getting mac and so on which is perfectly normal Now in this moment when the computer is connected directly to the internet network scenarios is like this TvCable- gt Modem- gt Computer the RDP will be visible from the internet which is okay for few minutes but what about the shared folders a If the computer A and the computer B is having shared stuff as folders and partitions on them in that moment when I connect directly to internet they will be available over the internet b They will be available only to the computers that are using the same ISP or the same Ip Range-Class etc c They will be availeble only to the people which is having the same quot lan workgropup name quot which is called quot WORKGROUP quot or quot MSHOME quot or a quot CUSTOMONE quot d Or They will not be available at all e When I take the computer B out which is having shared folders on a public wifi hotspot will the shared folders be available f When I connect the computer B on this small network but trought wifi will be the shared folders available g What workgroup name should I choose quot WORKGROUP quot quot MSHOME quot quot CUSTOMZIEDANDACOOLONE quot h Should I use Network Wizzard on Xp or quot just share folders quot Is there any difference i What is the propose of quot Local Domain Name quot in the router settings j Why I am able to use team-viewer and connect over the internet with no need to open and forward ports in the router but for the RDP ftp etc need the ports to be open and forwarded k I don't know how a VPN is working or wh... Read more

A:Workgroup name, Small network with shared folders, I am confused

Quote: Originally Posted by doctortonic

Hello!

1) Now, I am curious, why is so damn hard to "see" the phone C from the computer A? Is XP Lan

somehow messed up? It always laggs and hangs and damn freeze when I go to the netwok places in

contrast to windows 7 which is running fast as a rabbit with no lag, hangs, freeze.
If I will share stuff on computer B (win7) when I will access them from the computer A(winxp) I

will always have this freeze, hangs and lags?

2) In this scenario I assume that the shared folders will not be accessible from the internet

and will be visible only in the lan network, right? I don't wish to make the folders public like

a ftp server, just to be visible in the network which is after the router.

3) Sometimes when the internet connection is down, the Internet Service Provider is asking me to

connect the cable which is from the modem directly to the computer A or B, bypassing the router

for making a diagnosis, getting mac and so on which is perfectly normal.

Now, in this moment when the computer is connected directly to the internet, (network scenarios

is like this: TvCable->Modem->Computer) the RDP will be visible from the internet, which is okay

for few minutes but what about the shared folders?

a) If the computer A and the computer B is having shared stuff as folders and partitions on
them, in that moment, when I connect directly to internet they will be available over the
internet?

b) They will be available only to the computers that are using the same ISP or the same Ip
Range-Class etc?

c) They will be availeble only to the people which is having the same "lan workgropup name"
which is called "WORKGROUP" or "MSHOME" or a "CUSTOMONE"?

d) Or They will not be available at all?

e) When I take the computer B out which is having shared folders on a public wifi hotspot, will
the shared folders be available?

f) When I connect the computer B on this small network but trought wifi will be the shared
folders available?

g) What workgroup name should I choose, "WORKGROUP" "MSHOME" "CUSTOMZIEDANDACOOLONE"?

h) Should I use Network Wizzard on Xp or "just share folders" Is there any difference?

i) What is the propose of "Local Domain Name" in the router settings?

j) Why I am able to use team-viewer and connect over the internet with no need to open and forward ports in the router but for the RDP, ftp, etc need the ports to be open and forwarded?

k) I don't know how a VPN is working or what exactly is but it will be better and more secure for rdp, shared folders etc.? Should I try to study and learn about it?

1) - The freezes are hard to determine and may be caused by incompatible software/firmware. XP is 12 years old and most likely losing support from hardware manufacturers especially since it is losing support as of next year.

2) - You are correct. Your router has something called NAT which essentially hides your network from the internet. Internet connections can only enter your home network is a device requests it. For example if you request a webpage then it is able to enter.

3) - Shared folders should be protected from the internet if your configuration is setup correctly. When connecting straight to the modem ensure that your connection is set as Public. This tutorial should provide more information on how to do that.

Network Location - Set as Home, Work, or Public Network

a) - As long as it is set as public there will be no connection to your shares from the internet.

b) - IP address does not come into it. If one was to connect to your share then yes they would need your IP address however since your connection would be set as public they would be denied access.

c) - Workgroups are only valid between local subnets. They will not be relevant on d... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/308442-workgroup-name-small-network-shared-folders-i-am-confused.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi folks I've received good help from this forum so I want to share a technique that I just discovered for ultra fast access to shared folders that reside on other computers on the network your on folders Ultra to network. access shared fast After setting up my network a WinXP desktop and a Vista laptop via a router I found that accessing the shared folder on the laptop from the desktop was quite slow Using quot My Network Places quot when I clicked on the laptop I would have to wait about seconds for the shared folder Ultra fast access to shared folders on your network. to appear This was too slow If I accessed the shared folder on the desktop from the laptop using Vista's quot Network Ultra fast access to shared folders on your network. quot access was fast though navigation required several clicks But this was acceptable A fix for item- that I found is to use quot Map Network Drive quot Using this all I have to do is open My Computer and click on the icon for the shared folder on the laptop This opens the shared folder INSTANTLY This technique can also replace item- above quot Map Network Drive quot is setup on computer-A to map the drive folder on computer-B For example I run quot Map Network Drive quot on my WinXP desktop Open My Computer gt Tools gt Map Network Drive In the DRIVE selection text box it shows the next available drive letter starting backward from Z This will be a pseudo drive letter so I just left Z as the drive letter I then click the BROWSE button and see the laptop listed I navigate to the shared folder on the laptop and select it There's a check box for quot Reconnect at logon quot Leave this box checked to have this setting be persistent If the box is unchecked this setting will only last for your current session Here's a link to the Microsoft explanation http www microsoft com windowsxp using networking maintain mapdrive mspx Scroll down to quot Map a drive to a shared folder quot and follow those steps After you finish mapping the drive folder on the other computer open quot My Computer quot and in WinXP you will see the shared drive under quot Network Drives quot Click that icon and you will instantly be inside the shared folder In Vista open quot Computer quot and the shared folder on the other computer will be listed along with your local drives partitions Hope this works as well for you as it's working for me Skyzoomer

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/232265-ultra-fast-access-shared-folders-your-network.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hello Group

I have installed Win7 on a new PC and been playing around with it for a couple of days.

I have added it to my home workgroup and shared out some folders. I have turned off Windows firewall, however if I try to view the shared folders from other machines (XP) on the home network I get asked for a login and password.

Yet if I browse the other XP machines from the Win7 machine I can see all their folders. I can't find a setting anywhere that would seem to address this!

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks!

A:Browsing Win7 shared folders in home network - how???

Quote: Originally Posted by DrJarmin

Hello Group

I have installed Win7 on a new PC and been playing around with it for a couple of days.

I have added it to my home workgroup and shared out some folders. I have turned off Windows firewall, however if I try to view the shared folders from other machines (XP) on the home network I get asked for a login and password.

Yet if I browse the other XP machines from the Win7 machine I can see all their folders. I can't find a setting anywhere that would seem to address this!

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi DRJ and welcome

workgroup, or homegroup? workgroup doesnt even need a password homegroup must have one.

Let us know
Ken J+

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/44711-browsing-win7-shared-folders-home-network-how.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Since Win 10 Preview hosed my laptop, I had to reformat the laptop HDD and reinstall Win7 Pro.
I have both computers set the same and have the drives on my desktop shared with full access. I'm using Norton Internet Security and set the Firewall to Full Trust and then to Private but neither would allow access. The error message I get is:

[Window Title]
Network Error

[Main Instruction]
Windows cannot access \\BLACK-BEAUTY\downloads

[Content]
You do not have permission to access \\BLACK-BEAUTY\downloads. Contact your network administrator to request access.

For more information about permissions, see Windows Help and Support

[Close]

The trouble shooter say I should kill Norton and use Windows Firewall. And we all know how safe and secure Windows is to begin with.

Any good suggestions?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/383167-cannot-access-shared-drives-folders-over-home-network.html
Relevancy 68.37%

hi can anyone help i am having shared folders on home can't network access laptop problems accessing shared folder on one of my laptops on my home network my network currently comprisies network printer sky wireless router desktop pc running XP sp laptop A running Vista bit laptop B running XP sp was originally running Vista bit Where i am at the momment everything has can't access laptop shared folders on home network full access to the internet everything can't access laptop shared folders on home network can see each other in can't access laptop shared folders on home network the workgroup the desktop and laptop A can fully communicate with each other all shared folders are avalible and accessable the promblem lies with laptop B which is new to the work group i have manged to add laptop B to the workgroup as both laptop A and the desktop can see it when i try and acccess laptop B from the desktop i get the following error message quot Orla is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource quot quot the network path was not found quot when i try and access laptop B from the desktop i get a similar message quot windows cannot access orla quot quot error code x quot when i run the diagmostics it says quot orla is not a valid host name quot when i try and access either Laptop A or the desktop from laptop B i get the following error message quot Orla is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource quot quot the network path was not found quot i have to say i have tried allsorts to try and get this working st created new workgroup and wireless network made sure that all the devices could see each other and were trusted on Norton quot my network quot i ve checked all devices names and work group are fine if any one has any suggestions i would be greatfull cheers nbsp

Relevancy 68.37%

Hello,
I work at a company with 5 pcs with window 7 on them connected to a workgroup. all of their advanced sharing settings including network discovery are properly set, yet many of these pcs sometimes become invisible from my network. Sometimes they are all visible, somtimes only few, and sometimes all of them are gone. however all of the shared folders of these pcs that i have linked to my computer as a network drive are accessible at all times, regardless of the visibility of the pcs they belong to. is there a solution to this erratic behavior regarding the visibility of networked computers?

thanks

A:PCs in workgroup invisible in Network, yet shared folders accessible

Welcome to the Forums.

It saves a lot of time if applicable info is posted as suggested here:

Basic Requirements Before Posting your Networking Thread

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/342532-pcs-workgroup-invisible-network-yet-shared-folders-accessible.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Running Win XP pro up to date and was running Symantec anti virus corporate client entitled to this from work Initial Problem - could not get access to my shared files and folders from any other PC on the home network but could access others Process of elimination - uninstalling Symantec anti virus quot unblocked quot my shared folders immediately Installed AVG free instead - network could no longer access my shared foldersuninstalled AVG shared folders accessible againwent through same process with Panda cloud same result Identified Problem - it seems that installing ANY blocks on network virus my Anti shared folders type of anti virus software is blocking access to my shared drives - disabling the software does not change this only a complete uninstall of all AV software will workHave provided hijack this log to a few people but despite removing anything that looks suspicious still no chnageI did btw completely uninstall and Anti virus blocks my shared folders on network reboot twice before installing new AV software to trychecked start up processed with Anti virus blocks my shared folders on network Spybot SD tools and run a couple of malware detectors -apart from usual tracking cookies - nothing Almost at wits end and facing a complete delete partition and re-install - but with lots of sofware which I use - useless stuff gone and the thought of starting from scratch with all the XP updates made me feel it was worth one last try to see if anyone can help I suspect that a virus problem I had a few months back which was redirecting urls - and whch I thought was completely cleared may have left something behind that is causing this - but have no idea where to look for it

A:Anti virus blocks my shared folders on network

Well, let's clarify a couple of things.a. No AV program existing...blocks access to shared folders/files, etc.b. A firewall might do that, but no legitimate AV program has that power. Firewalls block access, AV programs don't even block access to malware unless programmed to do such by the owner, that's why program configuration is important.c. Malware might also block access to files on the system.Now...if you think that installation of a malware-defense program...causes changes in your ability to normally access files on the system...I would have to guess that you have mispointed the culprit.Have you taken a look in Event Viewer for possible clues?How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/ Secondly...if you have problems accessing files from 1 computer on a network...but no problem accessing other systems on the network...maybe the problem is with that system, not with yours. That is, assuming that no other systems experience what you experience.Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/251595/anti-virus-blocks-my-shared-folders-on-network/
Relevancy 67.94%

I lost my ability to access my shared folders on my network computer My setup my main computer an Acer desktop running Win bit My second a Windows XP computer My problem I can no longer access my shared folders on my XP computer I had a couple of folders on my XP system set as my lost shared network folders to computer. on my access my I ability shared and I had no problems accessing them from my I lost my ability to access my shared folders on my network computer. Win system until now I even had the folders mapped to their own drive letters And I had no problem sharing my printer over my network I've had this setup for about four years now and all of a sudden it just vanished From my Windows explorer in Windows I disconnected the I lost my ability to access my shared folders on my network computer. mapped drives to see if I could clear it out but nothing I also noticed I couldn't enable the quot Turn on network discovery quot in the Advanced Sharing Settings in the Network and Sharing Centre I searched online but kept coming up with the same answers Mainly make sure the following services where enabled - TCP IP NetBIOS Helper service - DNS Client - Function Discovery Resource Publication - SSDP Discovery - UPnP Device Host The only two that where not enabled where the last to SSDP Discovery and UPnP Device Host because as long as I can remember the main consensus online was that these two services where BAD So I always disable both of these things with every computer I've ever had including this one All these years and now all of a sudden I can't seem to do without them No wonder people believe Microsoft is sabotaging older systems on purpose Anyway I can keep Network discovery enabled but still cannot access any of my shared folders Also by right clicking on any folder I notice there are no sharing options there what-so-ever And it gets worse because if I go to Windows explorer and click on the Network listings I only see my Windows Acer computer and by opening that I see what seems like my entire User folder shared something I've never done and another folder that I know that I've never shared The error message from my Windows is quot The network path was not found quot when trying to access XP I also use to share a printer hooked up my my Acer and had no problem printing from my XP My printer driver on my XP is still installed but with an error message unable to connect One final note I could never access any Windows folder from my XP but I had no problems accessing the XP folders from Windows until now Any suggestions

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/396398-i-lost-my-ability-access-my-shared-folders-my-network-computer.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi I've been trying to find a solution online for several hours now but have had no luck at all I'll try my best to describe my situation as concisely as possible - I have multiple family members in the household along with two Win desktops and three specific for pc's Win7 access to folders shared Restricting network Win laptops All pc's are on the same workgroup with file and Restricting access to shared network folders for specific Win7 pc's folder sharing working faultlessly - we do not use Homegroups I have a large amount of important data Restricting access to shared network folders for specific Win7 pc's on my desktop that serves as a data backup for all work I do on my laptop On top of this it contains a large amount of media files that get shared to all pc's too All communication is done over the network However as the other family members are far less tech savvy shall we say than I I am growing concerned with how easy it would be for someone else to access my laptop backup work as it is all business related and do something disastrous to it I would like to have it so that my laptop is the only machine allowed to access this backup data from my desktop The rest of the shared folders on this desktop would have to remain accessible to 'everyone' As I said I've been doing a tonne of searching but found no successful solution I'm now just hoping someone can provide with a definitive solution to this Thanks for all your time

A:Restricting access to shared network folders for specific Win7 pc's

Hello,

I would restrict access to the folder using the security tab within the properties of the backup folder. Change the access so that only one user account (not the everyone group) can access the file. OR just remove the everyone group from the folder access and just set permissions for one of the existing user accounts.

When you need to access this file from your laptop simply use this login to access the folder. Does that make sence?
Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/200876-restricting-access-shared-network-folders-specific-win7-pcs.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I got a trojan the other day that installed a spyware program called Spy Sheriff There was much cursing and swearing but after my trusty version of AntiVir as well as a plethora of spyware programs I managed to clean the system of all viruses and spyware as far as I know My troubles didn t end for long Next I got a fairly common problem where it says quot services exe network a over a shared After virus, the to unable folders access computer's has caused an error Error code Rebooting your computer in minute quot or something along those lines I googled a bit and found that this is often associated with registry keys not matching your actual network setup Anyhow I ran a registry cleaner program and THAT problem seemed to go away Now however my network is all messed up My setup is as follows Two home computers plugged into a router that is hooked up to my DSL modem One computer is called Office the other is called Bedroom The printer is hooked up to Office and is shared Both computers have a few shared folders that the other can access After I ran the cleaner Bedroom is no longer visible on the network Office can t see it in the workgroup and I can t access any shared folders I CAN ping both computers using the IP addresses but After a virus, unable to access a computer's shared folders over the network each computer can t ping the other using the computer s name Each computer can ping itself using both its own IP and name Here s an interesting thing I just found too when I After a virus, unable to access a computer's shared folders over the network open my computer as it should appear on the network by typing Bedroom into the address bar of windows explorer using the bedroom computer I can see the shared folders and printer devices However when I double click on any of the folders to open them it says quot access denied quot with an error message about contacting my administrator Office can access its own shared folders fine so I am fairly confident that the problem is isolated to Bedroom the one that got the virus before So that s ing weird I can t even access the shared folders on Bedroom when typing Bedroom s name into the address bar After a virus, unable to access a computer's shared folders over the network Has anyone had any experience with something like this nbsp

A:After a virus, unable to access a computer's shared folders over the network

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/after-a-virus-unable-to-access-a-computers-shared-folders-over-the-network.530978/
Relevancy 67.94%

i recently got a wireless router(linksys) for my home, it worked fine with compaq laptop (new hence built in wifi) and my desktop. however i had to get TP link wifi device for my ancient sony laptop, i installed the drivers and everything it even shows that its connected to the wireless network. However the network kept disconnecting, so i played around with the settings a little and the internet started working(really slow), however the shared folders were still unaccessible from the sony laptop. Again tweaked the settings and now both internet/sharing does not work. Can any one point in the right direction wether these 2 devices are compatible or the correct settings.

Sony laptop has Windows XP, SP-1
Networking worked fine when i use wired one.

A:Wi-Fi Device connecting with network but Internet/shared folders not accessable

sounds like you're attempting to access files/folders on another system.

First get Internet access running correctly for both systems.

Then set the Workgroup name identically on both systems (see via My Computer)

get to this point and the remainder is in the Print/File Sharing setup ...

follow-up when you have Internet access.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wi-fi-device-connecting-with-network-but-internet-shared-folders-not-accessable.150398/
Relevancy 67.94%

Dear Friends,

I am on a Home Network Group having 4 computers with Windows 7
My main PC have some usefull files and folders, which I shared for sharing on my Laptop (within smae home group).
But, I want to disable sharing for other PC's
Or want to disable auto login to access shared folders on network.

I already used clearing the saved login credentials, but it works only first time access (ask for ID and password) but after first login it never ask the credentials again.

Means I want to make such thing that every time if any user (on other PCs) try to access the shared folder, he should be ask for user ID and password.
It may be by windows default feature (if any) or through any other third party software.
So, please help me on this issue.

A:Disable auto login to access shared folders on network

Quote: Originally Posted by aabidhashmi

Dear Friends,

I am on a Home Network Group having 4 computers with Windows 7
My main PC have some usefull files and folders, which I shared for sharing on my Laptop (within smae home group).
But, I want to disable sharing for other PC's
Or want to disable auto login to access shared folders on network.

I already used clearing the saved login credentials, but it works only first time access (ask for ID and password) but after first login it never ask the credentials again.

Means I want to make such thing that every time if any user (on other PCs) try to access the shared folder, he should be ask for user ID and password.
It may be by windows default feature (if any) or through any other third party software.
So, please help me on this issue.

Messing with the auto log in won't give you what you want here. And password protected sharing has some glaring faults of remembering passwords which make it not really worth using.

So you want the shared folders on the laptop and the main PC to have exclusive sharing between them. The other two machines you want to prohibit access to the shared folders on both the main PC and the laptop.

It's very simple to do this. Remove the two machines that you want to restrict access for from the Homegroup. Homegroup - Leave

This will prevent them from accessing shared folders on the Homegroup machines unless you share each Library with "Everyone" using the Homegroup style sharing settings like in the picture. You will still have access to both machines in the workgroup.

The "Everyone" share relates to machines that are in the Workgroup but not included in the Homegroup.

So only add the Everyone share if you need to share a specific Library with someone in the Workgroup.

This will work perfectly provided that you didn't make any adjustments to the default sharing settings for the C:\Users folder which is shared by default.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/314841-disable-auto-login-access-shared-folders-network.html
Relevancy 67.94%

This is K. Mohan Rajesh

Iam using a Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium x64 bit.
iam unable to access shared folders on my laptop and laptops connected in same wireless network

Please suggest me in getting out of this issue

My Email : [email protected]

A:Unable to access Shared folders on Laptop and laptops on same network

Did you check the firewall settings? and visibility of machines on the network? did you try pinging them?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/326735-unable-access-shared-folders-laptop-laptops-same-network.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Hello Here's my company's unfortunate situation - Windows Server with many shared to a group of users folders all shared folders' files untouched Symantec AV - Network On Shared by Files Virus Ransomware Encrypted Folders' All Windows XP SP machines protected only by MS Security Essentials all their shared folders' files encrypted and renamed to originalfilename- somenumber -recovery inbox com All My Documents All Shared Folders' Files On Network Encrypted by Ransomware Virus folders' contents are OK on the PCS just a common shared folder that each PC has with RW rights for the Group of users is infected - Windows XP machine with ALL files encrypted thus I suspect this is the guilty PC that started the infection on the network The only thing I've been able to do so far was logging as admin to all PCs and un-sharing the 'common' folder there are actually PCs is the number of the infected ones The virus remains The need for sharing files remains I'm really stuck and do not know how to begin the repairing process and get them to a working state again -What is the exact name of the virus -Where does the virus hide -What antivirus should I use to clean the PCs -The com suffix means that when clicked the file will re-spread the virus or is it just an email address that the ransomware team uses -Does removing the infected files or deleting the whole common folder solve the problem for the PCs or the virus is hidden somewhere in the OS making All Shared Folders' Files On Network Encrypted by Ransomware Virus it possible for it to re-trigger itself again All Shared Folders' Files On Network Encrypted by Ransomware Virus in the future -Will I have to format all PCs I realize it's impossible to retrieve the infected files without paying not an option Any help cleaning this mess will be really appreciated M ps sorry for my bad english obviously it's not my native language

A:All Shared Folders' Files On Network Encrypted by Ransomware Virus

I have advised our Security Colleagues who specialize in crypto malware ransomware with a link to this topic.Please submit a sample of an encrypted file here with a link to this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/submit-malware.php?channel=3You can also submit samples of suspicious executables or any malware files that you suspect were involved in causing the infection. Doing that will be helpful with analyzing and investigating.If you need individual assistance with malware infection, you should follow the instructions provided in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.However, if possible I suggest you wait for a reply before attempting disinfection.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/581507/all-shared-folders-files-on-network-encrypted-by-ransomware-virus/
Relevancy 67.08%

5 PCs Connected to Local Network:
1- Win10 Home - V.1511 10586.545
2- Win10 Pro - V.1511 10586.545
2- Win10 Pro - v.1607 14393.105

Win10 v.1511 Home, 2 - Win10 Pro V.1511, and 1- Win10 Pro v.1607 are all hard wired Ethernet.

1- Win10 Pro V1607 connected via WIFI (5ghz)

All Network shares are set, Password Protected Sharing is turned off, on all systems. All PCs open/view/share folders and files as expected between all PCs.

Before install Anniversary Update on 2 PCs, I could Copy files from my Mot Android Turbo 2 phone (connected via WIFI (5GHZ or 2.4Ghz) using Asus File Manager Ap, to any shared PC folders on my network.

After Installing AU 1607 on 2 of the PCs on my network, I can now only copy file to my Windows Home V.1511 PC. All others are requesting User and Passwords for access. Again, Password Protected Sharing is turned off on all PCs....

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/63382-cant-access-network-shared-folders-android-phone-connected-wifi.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi,
hopefully this is an easy one. I recently purchased an external Seagate drive and added it to one of the PCs on our network and shared some folders on it. However, whenever the external drive is powered down it seems that the shared status of the folders is lost and has to be shared again. This is most tedious...
Any suggestions?
Kind regards,
Jonathan

A:Solved: shared folders on external drive do not stay shared

Is this one solved?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-shared-folders-on-external-drive-do-not-stay-shared.775948/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi,

One computer on my network is unable to access any shared folders on any computer on the network. When i access any computer from Run cmd(\\PC) a blank explorer window opens and when i enter a shared folder name(\\PC\share), it gives "Incorrect function" error.

When i click on the computer name in the Entire Network list it gives an error saying "The Server service is not started". I checked Server service which is running, i can ping any computer by IP/Name. This computer can be accessed from other computers.(currently using AVG), OS:WinXP

Things that i have done:
1. Tried winsock reset, IP Reset commands

2. Uninstalled/reinstalled NIC

3. Also Ran a Winsock/Tcp repair utility
4. disabled windows firewall

Things that i havn't tried:
1. Formatting

Is there any expert who can help me?? cause i know this is not a common problem.

Please help!!!

A:unable to access shared folders on the network-"Incorrect Function"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-access-shared-folders-on-the-network-incorrect-function.766147/
Relevancy 61.92%

With XP I had a "shared" to Connecting network folders, drives, local on local network of three computers--my desktop my wife's desktop and my laptop I bought a new laptop with Vista I installed Vista on my desktop And I have left my wife's with XP I have setup the network The two Vista machines are quot connected quot in the sense that they show up on the network map with the XP machine showing up down on the bottom The network shows up correctly in explorer I can connect the two Vista computers to the XP drives and folders But I can't do it with the Vista machines even though explorer lists them as type quot share quot I have set the c drives and documents folders etc to share I had trouble for several Connecting to "shared" drives, folders, on local network days connecting to the printer until I discovered that Live OneCare's firewall was blocking it Once I turned that off I could use the printer from the laptop So now for its trial period at least I am using Norton There must be some setting that I have missed but I can't figure out what I keep getting the message quot computername c is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission Access denied quot I am logged on as the administrator I've scoured Help on the subject of access permission and can't find what I need I certainly miss the XP Network Wizard Warner

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/connecting-to-shared-drives-folders-on-local-network-141877.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I have an Android tablet and my PC running Windows Pro I am using ES File Explorer on Android to see shared folders I added some folders to the Music Picture Video libraries and shared them up and Non-shared shared folders showing not folders in a homegroup I tried to make the homegroup not need a password and it'll let me access my PC from my tablet and view the root folders but as soon Non-shared folders showing up and shared folders not as I tried to access a folder Music it'll say permissions aren't available It will work if I set a password and login with my account The second issue is that I'm seeing folders that I don't want to see I can see a ADMIN folder which is C WINDOWS Non-shared folders showing up and shared folders not C D E the HDDs IPC print User As well as Music Pictures Videos from the library The folders in bold aren't shared so I don't know why I'm seeing them The last issue is that a folder a whole drive actually isn't being shared I included the whole E Drive in the Videos folder but it won't show up in the Video folder from the tablet However if I include a folder from within the E Drive then it will show up Can I not include the root of a drive in a library I mean it works on the PC

A:Non-shared folders showing up and shared folders not

Quote: Originally Posted by Cyborg31

I have an Android tablet and my PC running Windows 7 Pro. I am using ES File Explorer on Android to see shared folders.

I added some folders to the Music/Picture/Video libraries and shared them in a homegroup. I tried to make the homegroup not need a password and it'll let me access my PC from my tablet and view the root folders but as soon as I tried to access a folder (Music) it'll say permissions aren't available. It will work if I set a password and login with my account.

The second issue is that I'm seeing folders that I don't want to see. I can see a ADMIN$ folder (which is C:\WINDOWS), C$, D$, E$ (the HDDs), IPC$, print$, User. As well as Music, Pictures, Videos from the library. The folders in bold aren't shared so I don't know why I'm seeing them.

The last issue is that a folder (a whole drive actually) isn't being shared. I included the whole E: Drive in the Videos folder but it won't show up in the Video folder from the tablet. However if I include a folder from within the E: Drive then it will show up. Can I not include the root of a drive in a library? I mean it works on the PC.

Homegroups aren't made to work with other systems besides Windows 7 or Windows 8, this is why you can't access the library's.

You should leave the Homegroup from your Windows 7 machine then set up a standard Workgroup instead.

I cant give you specifics on sharing between the Android and Windows 7 but I'm sure there are tutorials for this which you can find using Google.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/248658-non-shared-folders-showing-up-shared-folders-not.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Although I marked some directories as shared, when I choose "Tools" | "Map Network Drive" in Windows
Explorer, the "Folder" drop down box is always blank, indicating there are no shared directories available
to be mapped. I can't map anything to network drives in Win 2000 Professional. Nor can I see any of
my shared directories under "Microsoft Windows Network" when I click on "My Network Places". This is
true even on the same PC on which the shared directories are located!
And I do have "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" checked under my "Local Area Connection
Properties" under "Network and Dial-up Connections."
I don't seem to be able to share any resources from my Win2000 Professional PC. Any ideas?

A:"Map Network Drive" can't find shared folders

Can the PC's Ping each other?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/map-network-drive-cant-find-shared-folders.41663/
Relevancy 59.77%

We are a small company nbsp We are running don't for shared storage cloud permissions files folders downloaded "Everyone" New shared inherit from into six windows computers nbsp Our secretary works from home the rest of us are in the same office nbsp nbsp nbsp The Admin Computer stores all of our work files within a folder called 'casework' about GB nbsp nbsp The 'casework' folder is shared on the office network nbsp This 'casework' folder is also synced by Google Drive nbsp When our secretary works on her home computer and makes a new file New files downloaded from cloud storage into shared folders don't inherit shared permissions for "Everyone" e g letterV the new file downloads to our 'casework' folder to the Admin Computer here at the office nbsp However the new file cannot been seen on our other computers over the office network The newly created files are not shared to 'everyone' unless I un-share 'casework' from the network and then share 'casework' again nbsp The problem seems to be that the new files added by Google Drive are not inheriting the permissions of the 'casework' folder New files downloaded from cloud storage into shared folders don't inherit shared permissions for "Everyone" nbsp There are New files downloaded from cloud storage into shared folders don't inherit shared permissions for "Everyone" no options to change in Google Drive nbsp Is this a Windows problem Will Windows have a fix for this Are there any work arounds Does our secretary need to work at the office Yours Hopefully Matt

A:New files downloaded from cloud storage into shared folders don't inherit shared permissions for "Everyone"

may I know how that work case folder sync with google drive?

I suggest you contact Google drive first, we have limitation information regarding this product.

You can proof that there is no issue for sharing folder within your office network
I think that's not how online share drive work, unless your secretary can join your office network trough internet
http://www.howtogeek.com/196435/how-to-share-files-and-folders-from-your-cloud-storage-folder/
this is the example, you can ask your secretary to send file trough share drive and assign 1 admin to sync and send it to your case work folder
But maybe you will be interested with Office 365
https://products.office.com/en-us/business/compare-office-365-for-business-plans

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/35d6d1aa-9bd3-4ffe-9743-174a46acea60/new-files-downloaded-from-cloud-storage-into-shared-folders-dont-inherit-shared-permissions-for?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 59.77%

First THANK YOU to anyone who can help with this System Dell Latitude e Core Duo Gb Ram E-dock Dell quot LCD Fedex Dropped it off Friday Software XP SP Office Adobe Acrobat HP OfficeJet l Drivers Had Eset Smart Security installed but uninstalled it while trying to figure out this problem Have a Dell Precision M also connected to Linksys WRG Router So here's the Shared Folders *Magically* Un-shared situation I want to share desktop and my documents of the e so that they're available Shared Folders *Magically* Un-shared to other users connected through the Linksys Network To do this I navigate to C-docs and settings-e -desktop and C-docs and settings-e -My Documents and right click and set up sharing Once I've done this I get on the M and Map Network Drive and browse to e and map X for my documents and Y for desktop and everything is good The sky is blue the birds are singing etc etc etc Then I restart the Shared Folders *Magically* Un-shared e and it quot quot forgets quot quot that the folders were shared So far I've tried spitting cursing shouting crying begging and the following I've uninstalled Eset to see if it was blocking for security but nothing changed I turned off windows firewall but it automatically turns back on when i reboot I rebooted into safe mode and set the sharing properties which held the first time booting back into windows but not after the nd restart I opened msconfig and did a diagnostic boot but couldn't set the sharing properties I ran the quot setup a home network quot utility on both systems set the workgroup to mshome on both Checked the IP Addresses Both x Turned off simple sharing and set the folders as shared and Allow Full Permissions I've been on the line with dell support through most of this by the way I'm running out of ideas and i just don't get how why the shared file settings don't stick on the e P S I've had desktop and my documents shared on the M also running Eset XP sp Office and acrobat and i can't figure out what's different about e that might cause this problem Help Josh

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/shared-folders-magically-un-shared-349756.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Quick rundown.

I've been assigned at work to set up a "workgroup" and make all of the files and folders on each computer sharable. All computers are similar make/model, windows 7, no passwords.

-I've turned on the network sharing via Advanced Sharing Settings, as well as the other required settings. No password protection.
-I've clicked on the C drive for each computer and made sure authorized users have full control.
-Made sure the Windows Firewall was allowing file and printer sharing.

Unfortunately, I'm still receiving the dreaded message, "You do not have permission to access \\PCNAME"

Any help is much appreciated.

A:Viewing shared files on workgroup

Between two computers, I've also created user accounts with the same names. That didn't work either.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/103054-viewing-shared-files-workgroup.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I've got a network of 10 people (via LAN) and 9 of them are able to open Outlook 2003, click Calendar and then click on any of the shared calendar under 'other calendars'. These load up quickly and within seconds. However, I do have one user who it takes a minute to a few minutes for any of the shard calendars to load into view.

They all have access to the same shared calendars.

This just started recently.

The user is able to view emails and other parts of Outlook with no problem and her calendars load quickly.

We are using WinXP with SP2 and I have reinstalled Outlook on her machine.

This is driving us crazy, I appreciate any help!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/225226/outlook-2003-slow-when-viewing-shared-calendars/
Relevancy 58.48%

I've set up file sharing between a Vista Laptop and a W7 Desktop.
The desktop can see and access the Laptop's files but the Laptop can only see the file folders on the Desktop PC BUT not access them.

I get a window that advises Windows cannot access\\Desktop\My Pictures.

When I click the diagnose the problem button I receive a response, "My Pictures is available but the user account you are logged on with was denied access. Can one of you explain what this means and how I can resolve the issue???
Thanks for your help!!
Jim

A:Vista laptop prblm with viewing W7 shared files

Make sure you're using a Workgroup and not a Homegroup.

Difference between Domain, Workgroup, & Homegroup

Workgroups - Create/Join/etc

File Sharing Between 7 & Vista
File Sharing Between 7 & Vista #2

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/79005-vista-laptop-prblm-viewing-w7-shared-files.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi

I've got an annoying problem with my small office network. There are 3 PCs on the local network and we share files. Usually (but not always) if you are in one of the shared folders and you want to create a new folder, once you've right-clicked and created the new folder, you need to navigate away and back again in order to actually see it. This also happens when re-naming the folder.

To be clear this is what happens:

Right click, select 'create new folder'

Nothing appears

Use back and forward buttons

New Folder now visible

Rename folder, but it reverts to being called New Folder

Use back and forward buttons

Folder now appears with the new name.

Two PCs are using XP and one Vista, it happens ot all of them. Only happens with shared folders.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Many thanks

ElCani

Relevancy 55.9%

I'm being driven mad by lazy developers who automatically create folders on my root C: drive and who don't provide Settings boxes for users to select their preferred folder locations.

With the advent of cheap external storage devices, the best place for user files isn't always (you might say is rarely) on the internal C: drive. Yet developers continue to design as though alternatives don't exist.

I've created all my top-level folders (such as My Pictures, My Music) on partitions of an external portable drive but I still find these and other folders being created on my (almost entirely system file) C: drive.

Can I take action to prevent unwanted folders being created?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/preventing-unwanted-folders-on-my-root-c-drive-274625.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello everyone,

Everytime I use Adobe Bridge CS3, it generates two folders in my 'Documents' folder. The two folders it generates are 'AdobeStockPhotos' and 'Version Cue'. I have no use for these folders, and it annoys me everytime they are generated. Is there any way to disable Adobe Bridge CS3 from generating them everytime it is opened?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

A:Solved: Preventing Adobe Bridge CS3 From Generating Folders?

Disable the version cue and Adobe Stock Photos startup scripts in preferences.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-preventing-adobe-bridge-cs3-from-generating-folders.645001/
Relevancy 55.04%

I just got XP so I have a view questions...
How do you view all folders as LIST? Also, how do you get the status bar and details (size, date created, etc.) in each folder, instead of having to select it from the toolbar each time?

Relevancy 54.61%

As the tittle states whenever i restart my computer it changes all the file tiles of when you view folders into thumbnails. I want them all to be into Tile view format or atleast MOST of them. I already tried ticking "saving specific folder settings" in the options but it still resets it to thumbnails after i re-start my computer.

Relevancy 54.61%

Is there any way to get the same functionality for RAR files that we have for ZIP files in Windows? Being able to open them like folders and easily copy & paste. Now I use 7-Zip's context menu but it would be more convenient if they could be opened in Explorer.

I know this is possible in 3rd party file managers like Directory Opus but those are not yet compatible with Win7.

A:Viewing RAR files as folders?

WinMount allows you to right click on the .rar .7z .iso etc and mount it on a virtual drive or local folder and use the files directly without extraction.

The great irony of compression is that once extracted the files and the .zip will take up twice the storage.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/5875-viewing-rar-files-folders.html
Relevancy 54.61%

How do I make one folder default to one particular view, but not have that apply to all folders? In my old computer, I could change the 'my pictures' folder to always be thumbnails. Now, if I do that, the setting goes to every folder in 'my documents' which is annoying. I want my other files to be lists and my pictures to be icons. I can't seem to figure it out.

Thank you.

A:Viewing options in my folders

Welcome to SF!

There's a little utility called ShellFolderFix for Windows 7's amnesia regarding individual window setttings.

See if this does the trick for you: ShellFolderFix Brings Saved Folder Positions Back to Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/134232-viewing-options-my-folders.html
Relevancy 54.61%

This may be a dumb question... When I open folders I personally like to have them as viewed in the "List" form. At the top under View its, "Thumbnails" , "Tiles" , "Icons" , "Lists" , "Details" . Is there any way to set the default to view every folder as "List". It is a pain in the butt to go through each folder and change the view. Thanks!!

A:Solved: Viewing Folders

in windows explorer
tools
folder options
view tab
apply to all folders -

this works most of the time - although i have had some instances where it does not apply to all folders
NOTE folders like my pictures are set to view thumbnails

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-viewing-folders.304966/
Relevancy 54.61%

I screwed up somewhere good while back and somehow got paint as my default folders veiwer, I had and want back win/pic and fax viewer- Show me the way "O" Wise one Thank's

A:(Solved) viewing folders

Click start, control panel, folder options. On the file types tab find the type file you want to change and click change and click the program you want to open that file.
Earl

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-viewing-folders.209375/
Relevancy 54.61%

I found the folder options for viewing system files in general. However if I try to open my Cookies or application file folders I get chimed out and a warning that says permission denied. How can I overcome this?

thanks in advance

A:Viewing System folders

Hello Smoot1212,

Welcome to the Seven Forums.

See here: Take Ownership Shortcut

Enjoy your stay. Lots of great info. Check out the tutorials.

Gary

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/3375-viewing-system-folders.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Here is what I am wondering, in google you can click on a favorites folder and see list of links, then you can slide your mouse over other folders, and see your links. But in Ms Edge you can't do that, you have to click on the page to close folder, then click on another folder. Same thing in IE 11. Why is that? Will Ms Edge and IE 11 ever have that capability.

Henry

http://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/69121-ms-edge-viewing-favorites-folders.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi everyone, when i share one of my folders, a hand appears under the icon. Is there a way to keep the folder shared but without the hand?

A:Shared Folders

If you don't want the hand appearing, then move that folder to another location, and then make a shortcut from it. The shortcut doesn't display a hand.

However, doing this would mean that other users wouldn't know that this folder is shared and they could put information in there without knowing that others have access to it.

If this is a work computer, or just not your computer then you may need to consider the ethics of doing this and any implications.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-folders.812541/
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a fairly typical LAN with computers using XP and each have shared folders The router is a WRT G with DD-WRT but I doubt that has any impact Using any OS except W those shares can be seen and accessed - XP W7 folders shared without W7 - XP shared folders a problem In W beta build I believe i never had a single problem this only happened when I upgraded fresh clean install of W RC This problem is happening on both a Laptop and Desktop wired or wireless I have checked over the services to make sure the related services are running there were a few that were not It does see and able to print to my wireless printer Lexmark X and sees my wireless music player Linksys WML B but no other computers I W7 - XP shared folders have tried by IP x computer name screwballlXP computer name plus exact folder screwballlXP Movies and it just refuses to see any network shared folders I have tried it with the Windows firewall on and off I have tried it with and without the Comodo software firewall which leads me to believe it is within W itself Plus add in that I get this both on my laptop and my desktop that definitely points to the OS When I have both the laptop and desktop loaded with W they cannot W7 - XP shared folders even see each other without HomeGroup The real kicker was that I never had a problem using the first publicly available Windows beta it was only after I started using the RC that this happened The conspiracy theorist inside of me thinks this is a ploy by MS to wean people off of previous OS and go with W I did find at least a temporary fix since this laptop also dual boots with Ubuntu I can boot into linux get to my Windows Shared folders that way and copy whatever is needed back and forth and have access to those files from either Ubuntu or Windows Another reason why I have been spending more time in Linux than Windows lately because it just works and works well

A:W7 - XP shared folders

this is needed, try this

Download details: Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120)

[edit] and if you have any FAT32 drives with shares, you may need this : Download details: Windows Desktop Search: Add-in for Files on Microsoft Networks

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/10143-w7-xp-shared-folders.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Can someone please help me before I go Mad!
I have recently had some problems with my wireless router and connecting to it from my laptop. I have followed instructions on resetting winsock, tcp/ip etc which has resolved my connection issues. Only thing now is my shared folders are screwed up.
My setup is netgear wireless modem router, desktop pc running xp connected directly to router. Laptop on xp connected wireless to router. Everything was working fine, shared folders/printer etc but now I cannot see the desktop shared folders on my laptop although I can see the laptop shared folders on the desktop pc??!!! I have tried disabling firewalls/setting up home network wizards but nothing works. I can even transfer files from desktop to laptop so connection is there but cannot go other way.
Apologies if this is a repetitive help request but this is driving me mental...

Help would be appreciated.

A:shared folders

The following referenced thread has a list of troubleshooting steps, and pointers to three more possible applicable threads:

http://forums.techguy.org/t370700.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-folders.370876/
Relevancy 53.75%

I want too do shared folders on my Windows Messenger Live, but, and i quote 'Your computer does not support shared folders' Help?

See if anything on this page helps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-folders.522080/
Relevancy 53.75%

I have two users on my Vista desktop I have then my W laptop On my desktop I have shared as everyone so my laptop has full access to the external drives I for are Looking How Folders Shared have issues accessing C folders but that for Looking for How Folders are Shared another day I guess I made a second user on the desktop which Looking for How Folders are Shared I do not want to have access to certain folders on C or the externals Now I cannot find the shares anymore even in COMPUTER MANAGEMENT but the user has no access to one external drive which as far as I find is set for everyone on FULL but full access to the other one also with everyone I can not find how this user has full access to it when I only wanted one or two subfolders to be accessible not the whole drive As well I can not find how the user is blocked from the second external when only everyone is there The laptop via WIFI still needs full access to everything which it does The other problem is Vista will not see the laptop user if I wanted to try making permissions per individual user What I want to do is Find where and how my second desktop user has not has permissions and fix them to Make sure I know how external is blocked Give access only to certain subfolders on external where currently the whole drive is accessible Any ideas be great Thank you I reply as fast as I can but it could be hours or months

A:Looking for How Folders are Shared

On the master computer, right-click on drive or folder & choose "Properties".Click the "Security" tab.Review & edit permissions as necessary.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-vista/looking-for-how-folders-are-shared/14065.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I need help every time i disable sharing c$ in the c: properties, it turns itself back on i click 'Do not share this folder' and click ok but every time i reboot and check it comes the same way it started is this normal or what? and is it ok if i stop sharing $admin and $ipc (in computer management) or will it ruin my computer?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-with-shared-folders-254788.html
Relevancy 53.75%

from my w7 pc, when i go to network sharing center/see full map, i can see my xp pc's but not the shared folders on them, does anyone know what i can do?

A:Cant see shared folders

have you enabled all the file sharing/printer sharing stuff on all PCs?

if you have done that then maybe windows is getting confused as to where to find it. you can make a shortcut directly to the shared folder by right clicking the desktop > new shortcut > then type the name of the folder with two slashes on from of the name(i would just put everything n the desktop for now).

xp sometimes doesn't find computers/folders though its automatic discovery tool, if you do it manually it is reliable.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/67063-cant-see-shared-folders.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi All I am attempting to share a Over Shared LAN Folders folder E docs on my college network to allow my floor-mates access but I have run into some difficulty I am running Windows I Shared Folders Over LAN have Network Discovery turned on as well as File and Printer Sharing I have also set the folder I wish to share as a quot shared quot folder The problem lies in the fact that my friend s MacBook Pro connected to the same LAN right across the hall is unable to see my Windows Shares I have tried doing the quot GO - gt Connect to Server quot method in which I input quot smb MYCOMP quot as well as smb IPADDRESS quot with no luck I have noticed that on my Network page I can only see PCs that are sharing while similarly on his MacBook he can only see other Macs I have even tried setting his WINS Workgroup name to the same as mine but that didn t help either I m stumped at this point so any suggestions would be awesome -minty nbsp

Relevancy 53.75%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Celeron R CPU GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card S Graphics ProSavageDDR Mb Hard Drives D Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB H Total LAN folders are some - not shared seen - MB Free - MB X Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO LTD P M - Antivirus AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled Problem setting-up a LAN We LAN - some shared folders are not seen have two desk-top PCs both running XP and I want to set-up file sharing and printer sharing between them Each PC is connected by ethernet cable to ports on a router modem LAN - some shared folders are not seen which connects to the phone line for LAN - some shared folders are not seen e-mails and Internet both of which work well on each PC via ADSL I have used the Network Set-up Wizard on each PC to create a workgroup named MSHOME The two PCs are named Mike and Ec a and the names on the network are Mike s PC and Maggie s PC respectively On Mike s PC My Network Places shows the folders that have been set-up for sharing on both Mike s PC and Maggie s PC On Maggie s PC My Network Places shows only the Router name ADE- no folders from either Maggie or Mike On Maggie s PC looking with folder options at the folder of My Network Places Entire Network Microsoft Windows Network MSHOME I see icons for Mike s PC and Maggie s PC Double-clicking on Maggie s PC displays all the folders set-up for sharing on both PCs Maggie s and Mike s Double-clicking on Mike s PC brings up this message quot Mike is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions The network path was not found quot However if I click on Network Connections it shows the status of the Local Area Connection is Connected Firewalled How do I arrange for access permissions Does anyone have some idea of what might have gone wrong here It should be a simple LAN but I m at my wits end trying to make it work Mike nbsp

Relevancy 53.75%

How do I access shared folders on the same pc from a different user?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-folders.892751/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi everyone, when i share one of my folders, a hand appears under the icon. Is there a way to keep the folder shared but without the hand?

hi, welcome to forum. This can be done, but firstly make sure you make a system restore, go to start, all programs, accessories, system tools and choose system restore. Make a restore point.

Ok no
1) Click start then run and type regedit
2) expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT by click the plss sign
3) go down to network, half way down
4) expand network
5) click shared handler

Now to the right you will see something called defaul, double click it, and it should have a text saying "ntshrui.dll"
Change this to "blank"
click ok exit regedit. REstart pc, and you should be done.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/shared-folders-359764.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Running Window XP Home Media Edition When I open certain file folders on my hard drive Windows Explorer will give me a message telling me quot it has encountered and error and needs to shut down file Viewing Windows Folders Down Shuts XP Certain When quot I have two external hard drives on which I capture and backup video files Most of the Windows XP Shuts Down When Viewing Certain file Folders file folders on the drives can be accessed by Windows Explorer with no problem but certain folders shut down immediately upon opening My hard drives mirror each other manually not in a RAID config and the problem folder shuts down Windows explorer on both drives I tried changing the column view applicable to all folders such tha only the file name comes up in the Explorer window and that actually helped Explorer will stay open and I can access many of the video files However eventually I ll get a notification and Explorer shuts down I searched this forum and based on my findings I ran Malwarebytes and Avast and found nothing Based on my very limited use of the Internet and lack of any other computing problems I didn t expect to find a virus or spyware I also ran cleanmgr and cleaned up everything I could including Temporary Internet Files and Recycle Bin Any idea why Windows Explorer is having trouble simply listing the files within certain file folders and not others

A:Windows XP Shuts Down When Viewing Certain file Folders

My guess would be possible bad sectors on the hard drive...the alternative would be to guess some sort of file corruption.I would try running the chkdsk /r command on each of the drives with this situation.Start/Run...type chkdsk /r X: (where X: represents the respective partition/drive) and hit Enter. Spacing must be exactly as shown.Alternative method of running same command: In Explorer or My Computer, right click on the drive, select Properties, select the tools tab, and click on the Check Now button. Check both of the available options and click Start button.Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/305433/windows-xp-shuts-down-when-viewing-certain-file-folders/
Relevancy 53.32%

i recently got at&t internet service and they sent me a 2701hg-b wired/wirless router. my wireless laptop and my wired desctop pc, both running xp pro, can connect to the internet no problem. but i cant access shared files from the other computers. when i go into my network places all i can see are the shared folders on the computer im using but not the other. ive run network setup wizard numerous times to no avail. im pretty frustated, and all at&t could do is transfer me to a tech that would help me for a fee?!!?? can anyone please help me trouble shoot this? please...

james clark

if ive forgotten any pertinent information, let me know..thanks in advance.

Relevancy 53.32%

I can view the shared folders on my dell xp desktop from my work laptop, but i cannot map any of the drives or set up a short cut to those drives, when i do it asks me to login....i can ping the computer, just not map the drive...thanks for your help

A:Can view shared folders but not map...Help

You need to create an account on the Dell and give that user access to the shares. Then when prompted to login to the share from the laptop use those user credentials.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-view-shared-folders-but-not-map-help.798080/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have a folder on my Windows box (7232 x64) shared. With build 7100 I was able to access this folder via my Macbook just fine. Now with build 7232 I can no longer mount the share.

The macbook says the share is not available.

ANy ideas?

A:cannot access shared folders from my MAC

Quote: Originally Posted by davegod75

I have a folder on my Windows box (7232 x64) shared. With build 7100 I was able to access this folder via my Macbook just fine. Now with build 7232 I can no longer mount the share.

The macbook says the share is not available.

ANy ideas?

Hey are you running a homegroup? how was the folder shared (by name or ip)

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/17709-cannot-access-shared-folders-my-mac.html
Relevancy 53.32%

the logon name, my primary administrator name, works when i try to connect to my desktop computer from my work laptop via remote desktop connection and by typing \\192.168.1.2 into a window....both ask me for the logon name and password...both work...the problem is i can't map a folder for some reason and i don't know why....i select the drive letter, typer \\192.168.1.2\j$ in and it asks me for name and pw, i enter and it doesn't work....let me know if there is any information i can provide that may help solve this....it's been driving me crazy for a few weeks now

thanks ahead of time

rob

Relevancy 53.32%

OK I m not sure what settings I need to tweak but I m sure someone here as experienced this and might know I have a desktop and a laptop both running XP desktop XP Home SP laptop XP Media Center SP Both systems are running ZoneAlarm firewall and both are current and set different folders, Shared results. up properly for my network and for file sharing I have file sharing print sharing set up and have no Shared folders, different results. problems sharing files both ways except On both systems I have quot My Documents Shared folders, different results. quot shared with both boxes check to quot Share this folder on the network quot and quot Allow network users to change my files quot So if from my desktop I open the quot My Videos Shared folders, different results. quot for example subfolder that s located on the laptop I have full access to the files i can copy move save delete whatever i want I can copy files from the laptop to the desktop with no problem But then on another folder that is also a subfolder of quot My Documents quot I can view the contents but I can not save copy move delete these files When I try to copy a file from the laptop when I am using the desktop I get an error message that says quot Can not copy FILENAME Access is denied Make sure disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not in use quot So WHY would I get this message when other subfolders under the remote quot My Documents quot share BOTH ways no problem and I am trying to copy files to the computer I am using I d understand if I had some setting wrong and was trying to copy TO the remote PC but not when trying to copy FROM the remote PC when I can see the files and they are shared So in this instance if there s a file I want that located on the laptop I have to use the laptop to copy to the desktop I can t access it from the desktop Make any sense Thanks for any help nbsp

Relevancy 53.32%

Hello I've just switched my home desktop PC to Windows x Ultimate while I previously had Vista Business x there I also have a laptop with Vista Business x and I used to share several folders from my desktop Vista cannot shared see Win folders 7 PC to the laptop Having installed Win I re-created all sharing arrangements including - having file amp printer sharing on - I assured that the workgroup name on both machines was the same - I added on desktop PC Vista cannot see Win 7 shared folders a new user with the same name amp password as I had on my laptop - I physically made the sharing privileges for the newly created user appropriate paths were already on the laptop and no access My desktop PC is seen by the laptop but particular folders are not I could understand seeing Vista cannot see Win 7 shared folders the folders but without access permissions The above steps are exactly the same I did while making Vista-to-Vista sharing Thus I expected them to work on Win I double checked all details including letters casing but with no luck I did it via simple sharing wizard quot Share quot button but then just in case in the quot Advanced quot window I added the laptop user and set him full permissions but it also hasn't helped Anyone can suggest me what I can do next with this issue

A:Vista cannot see Win 7 shared folders

Quote: Originally Posted by mikolajek

Hello,

I've just switched my home desktop PC to Windows 7 (x64 Ultimate), while I previously had Vista Business x64 there. I also have a laptop with Vista Business x86 and I used to share several folders from my desktop PC to the laptop.

Having installed Win 7 I re-created all sharing arrangements, including:
- having file & printer sharing on
- I assured that the workgroup name on both machines was the same
- I added on desktop PC a new user with the same name & password as I had on my laptop
- I physically made the sharing privileges for the newly created user (appropriate paths were already on the laptop)
and... no access!

My desktop PC is seen by the laptop but particular folders are not (I could understand seeing the folders but without access permissions).

The above steps are exactly the same I did while making Vista-to-Vista sharing. Thus I expected them to work on Win 7. I double checked all details, including letters casing but with no luck.

Anyone can suggest me what I can do next with this issue?

Sometimes "homegroup" does not place nice in mixed machine networks.

To confirm that is the problem, simply create a new network connection using "workgroup" instead. If it works you can disable IPv6 and kill homegroup.

Let us know if you need help

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/85565-vista-cannot-see-win-7-shared-folders.html
Relevancy 53.32%

hello people. I got a very weird problem, it only happens to my units just recently after 5 years on my computer network. i have 30 desktop computers that have shared folders, the problem is, after some time the shared folders on all the network computers will get unshared automatically without doing anything, but after reboot, all the shared folders will come back and for some minutes it will be unshared again.. I can't just reboot the units everytime, so i seek for help and hoping that somebody will have the solution..

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/178476/shared-folders-gets-unshared/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have a bunch of people on my network, and some shared folders.

I want to prevent certain users from making changes to the folders, but I want to be able to make changes from wireless connection.

So, how can I make it so I can make changes wirelessly but others cannot?

Basically right now, my permissions are set for

Everyone read/write
Guest read/write

But when I try to add a "network path to share with" like specific stations IE;
\\Computername\Windowsname

It doesn't work.

Can anyone advise on how I can prevent certain wireless users from modifying shared directories while granting others the ability? Specifically, certain wireless stations?

Any additional information would be invaluable.

-Sandra

Relevancy 53.32%

Can anyone help me out there? When I try to access a shared folder on my network I get the following error message: Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

I've made sure all the computers on the network have the same workgroup name, all accounts are computer administrator's and restarted all cpu's. That's all I've done and know how to do so far.

A:can't access shared folders

From a JohnWill post:

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

If you see this message the following should be done on the computer containing the shared files:

Download the following and install it

Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4544

after installation is complete, click on: Start, All Programs, Windows Resource Kit Tools, Command Shell

Then enter the following commands. (Attention: they are case sensitive.)

net user guest /active:yes
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

The first command enables network access for Guest, the two subsequent ones change two different policies to allow network access for Guest.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-shared-folders.536061/