Windows Support Forum

Can I grant shared permissions to a single user from a different comp

Q: Can I grant shared permissions to a single user from a different comp

Hello So I have just been setting from permissions comp single a different a to I Can user grant shared up my new rig and for several reasons I was wanting to allow my desktop complete access to my laptop However I live in a very friendly household Can I grant shared permissions to a single user from a different comp and my computer is in the main area I allow other people to use the guest account on it all the time but keep my own account with a password We also have many other computers on Can I grant shared permissions to a single user from a different comp the same homegroup I was wanting to allow just my account on my desktop complete access to some or prefferably all files on my laptop I Can I grant shared permissions to a single user from a different comp tried going Local Disk C Properties gt gt Sharing tab gt gt Advanced Sharing button gt gt 'Share this folder' checkbox gt gt Permissions button gt gt Add button However when i had entered this I could not get my laptop to access any other locations that itself It was there that I got stuck Is it possible to do what I am trying to do Cheers David

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Can I grant shared permissions to a single user from a different comp

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Can I grant shared permissions to a single user from a different comp

Hello DGEccles,
Welcome to SevenForums. What you are trying to do is possible. What you have to do is pick a folder (or directory) that you want to share. In your case, this would be the C:\ drive. However, sharing your C:\ drive across the network, is very risky for many reasons. So I would not recommend this. So, lets get started. First, on your laptop, what you need to do is pick a folder you want to share. This can be your documents folder, another folder, or the C:\ drive. Next, right click the folder you want to share and click PROPERTIES. Next, navigate to the sharing tab and click on advanced sharing. Check the box that says "Share this folder". Next, click on permissions and MAKE SURE THAT YOUR ACCOUNT ON THE LAPTOP HAS FULL PERMISSION. After this, you want to click Apply and close out of all dialog boxes. Now, we move to your desktop. On your desktop, open up Windows Explorer. Navigate to Network on the left-hand side. After that click on your laptop's icon. After that a window will open asking you for credentials. INPUT THE CREDENTIALS THAT YOU SET TO HAVE FULL PERMISSION ON THE LAPTOP. After that you should see all the shared folders on the laptop including the one that you set up.

I hope this helps. (Sorry if this isn't clear I typed this fast so if you need me to re-explain it I will)

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/235249-can-i-grant-shared-permissions-single-user-different-comp.html
Relevancy 79.98%

I was currios if anyone knows a way to setup a user so they can only log into shared folders on a computer from a second computer but not let them use the login on the computer with the shares. If that makes any sense.... Both computers are using XP SP2 and the computer with the shared folders has simple file sharing disabled.

A:XP User Permissions for shared folders

Set up the folders on thier PC as a network drive and have the PC remember the password (assuming XP Pro); that way they do not have to know the user ID or password. Just make sure that ID and password is in the folder permissions

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-user-permissions-for-shared-folders-93337.html
Relevancy 77.4%

I have set up Calendar Sharing in Outlook so I can view everyone's calendars. I am having a problem with viewing a particular users calendar as it keeps telling me that I do not have permission. The end user has given me permission but their meetings only show up as 'busy'.
The same steps used for other calendars don't seem to work on this calendar.

Using O365 exchange

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-o365-shared-user-calendar-permissions-issue.1164077/
Relevancy 67.08%

I have a admin account and access of drive grant read-only a a user? to How to a normal user account say XXX I have a drive say Z to which I want to restrict access to the user XXX The user should be able to read How to grant read-only access of a drive to a user? the documents and view the videos in the drive However he should not be able to delete modify the files in the drive or write new files to the drive I have gone through Permissions - Allow or Deny Access to Users and Groups in Windows I'm not comfortable with command prompts or registry keys so I tried option three Change Access Permissions in Advanced Security Properties By default the user had permission for quot Read Read amp execute List folder contents quot only However even with these I found that the user could delete and modify the files folders in drive Z So I denied the following quot Create file folders write attributes extended attributes delete subfolders files quot This seems to serve my purpose Now I wish to know two things Am I doing the right thing or messing up something There was a radio button quot Only apply these permissions to objects and or containers within this container quot This I had left unchecked Should I check this The window see attachment clearly states that these permissions apply to quot this folder subfolder and files quot Is this just a redundant option Thanks

A:How to grant read-only access of a drive to a user?

I'm still having problems.

The user is able to delete some files within some folders. I don't know why. This seems to occur randomly.

Is this because the user is part of the group 'PC/users' created by default by windows? I don't think so because by default this group has only read-only permissions and deny permissions should override them.

PS: I learnt that, if the radio button "Only apply these permissions to objects and/or containers within this container" is checked then permissions will be applied only to current folders and subfolders and not to subsequently created folders and files. Hence I had left it unchecked.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/52102-how-grant-read-only-access-drive-user.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I tried to take the following steps to get the quot full control quot permission on a quot System Volume Information quot folder for a user account I had created right-click on the folder it says Windows access but grant. permission, it does grant won't - gt Properties - gt Security tab - gt Edit - gt the quot Permissions for lt object gt quot dialog appears - gt Add - gt the quot Select Users or Groups quot Windows says it won't grant access permission, but it does grant. dialog appears - gt Enter the user account's name and press OK - gt back to Windows says it won't grant access permission, but it does grant. the quot Permissions for lt object gt quot dialoge - gt select quot Full control quot for the newly added name - gt Click on the Apply button After I clicked on the Apply button a dialoge entitled quot Error Applying Security quot appears stating quot An error occcurred while applying security information to lt GUID gt lt GUID gt Access is denied quot Behind that dialog there was another dialog entitled quot Windows Security quot which states quot Setting security information on lt drive gt System Volume Information tracking log quot I thought maybe Windows didn't like people to mess with such an important folder and therefore refused to grant the permission So I cancelled the front quot Error Applying Security quot dialog There's another Continue button At this point a new quot Windows Security Windows says it won't grant access permission, but it does grant. quot dialogue popped up saying quot Stopping the propagation of permission settings leads to an inconsistent state in which some objects have the settings but others don't If you made the change by mistake you should apply the correct change immediately to achieve a consistent state quot In this dialogue the only choice was to click on an OK button So I clicked on it And the quot quot Permissions for lt object gt quot was brought back to the front again But surprisingly I noticed that the user account's name I wanted was entered in the name list with all the permissions full control being granted to it As I tested it the quot full control quot permission has been effective for that quot System Volume Information quot folder So why did I get the permission even after Windows had said it would refuse me

A:Windows says it won't grant access permission, but it does grant.

You are looking at the permissions set on the folder. Not on the files which can have a different set of permissions. Clearly setting permissions on those files failed.

...Why are you even messing with the permissions in the first place?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/288284-windows-says-wont-grant-access-permission-but-does-grant.html
Relevancy 66.22%

As administrator I would like to grant a user use of my roboform and some other apps. How do I do that? I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

A:Windows 7 - As administrator how do I grant a user priviledges to use my Roboform?

where did you install 'roboform'? \Program Files\??\??

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-as-administrator-how-do-i-grant-a-user-priviledges-to-use-my-roboform.148616/
Relevancy 65.79%

I have one computer in my home network that I can not share files. I get the message below.
All of the other computer on my network would have a "popup box" where I would enter the Username and Password - but this one computer does not give me that popup.

Also I can access all of the other computer from this on ("GA-EG45M") but I can't access it from the others. Where do I go to authorize "access permissions"? All of the network discovery and sharing settings are set the same on all computers.

A:How do I grant permission to access Network - no user/password popup

Checked this one yet? Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon - Microsoft Community

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/374942-how-do-i-grant-permission-access-network-no-user-password-popup.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I can access Windows Live Mail as Administrator on my computer but would like to be able to run as Standard User for day to day computing. Is it possible to change user controls so that Windows Live Mail appears on desk top when I am in Standard User mode ? At the moment the default for Windows Live Mail access is Windows Live Mail

A:Grant Standard User access to Windows Live Mail on own computer

Addition to first post

I found that under Windows Live Mail/Properties/Compatibility Tab I had Windows Vista entered still instead of Windows 7, and had not ticked Run as Administrator. I can now open Windows Live Mail as Standard User but it is completely blank i.e. the emails, folders etc. present when I access as Administrator are missing. Any ideas what I can do ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/306129-grant-standard-user-access-windows-live-mail-own-computer.html
Relevancy 64.5%

We are a small company nbsp We are running don't for shared storage cloud permissions files folders downloaded "Everyone" New shared inherit from into six windows computers nbsp Our secretary works from home the rest of us are in the same office nbsp nbsp nbsp The Admin Computer stores all of our work files within a folder called 'casework' about GB nbsp nbsp The 'casework' folder is shared on the office network nbsp This 'casework' folder is also synced by Google Drive nbsp When our secretary works on her home computer and makes a new file New files downloaded from cloud storage into shared folders don't inherit shared permissions for "Everyone" e g letterV the new file downloads to our 'casework' folder to the Admin Computer here at the office nbsp However the new file cannot been seen on our other computers over the office network The newly created files are not shared to 'everyone' unless I un-share 'casework' from the network and then share 'casework' again nbsp The problem seems to be that the new files added by Google Drive are not inheriting the permissions of the 'casework' folder New files downloaded from cloud storage into shared folders don't inherit shared permissions for "Everyone" nbsp There are New files downloaded from cloud storage into shared folders don't inherit shared permissions for "Everyone" no options to change in Google Drive nbsp Is this a Windows problem Will Windows have a fix for this Are there any work arounds Does our secretary need to work at the office Yours Hopefully Matt

A:New files downloaded from cloud storage into shared folders don't inherit shared permissions for "Everyone"

may I know how that work case folder sync with google drive?

I suggest you contact Google drive first, we have limitation information regarding this product.

You can proof that there is no issue for sharing folder within your office network
I think that's not how online share drive work, unless your secretary can join your office network trough internet
http://www.howtogeek.com/196435/how-to-share-files-and-folders-from-your-cloud-storage-folder/
this is the example, you can ask your secretary to send file trough share drive and assign 1 admin to sync and send it to your case work folder
But maybe you will be interested with Office 365
https://products.office.com/en-us/business/compare-office-365-for-business-plans

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/35d6d1aa-9bd3-4ffe-9743-174a46acea60/new-files-downloaded-from-cloud-storage-into-shared-folders-dont-inherit-shared-permissions-for?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 63.64%

I recently set up a workgroup called quot workgroup quot so that my two PC s could share files The XP comp is called Qing and can access the workgroup and log onto the cannot Comp Comp Linux folder shared on access XP linux server called Han running Fedora with Samba Once logged onto Han from Qing I can see the shared folder but when i try to access it XP Comp cannot access shared folder on Linux Comp I get the following message quot Han share is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions The network path was not found quot On Han the linux comp I have set up a shared folder called quot share quot with full permissions I have enabled NetBIOS over TCP IP and rebooted and still no luck I have searched the internet and these forums for a similar problem but was unable to find anything that I could use Any help would be great thanks nbsp

Relevancy 62.35%

I have one user who cannot print to one printer. I logged in as local admin, added the printer and it still would not work. I deleted all the printers and readded them. I stopped and restarted the print spooler and made sure all of the other users could print fine. I still cannot print. The print job just hangs in the que and once in a while I will get an error. Can anybody help?

Thanks.

A:Cannot Print/ Single User, Single Printer

Is it a network printer or a local printer?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-print-single-user-single-printer-298214.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi

My hard drive consist of two partitions, one for System, and one for my stuff, programs, movies and so on...

Computer has three accounts, me as Administrator and two that are limited.

Here is what I want to do:
- I have movies at other partition, and some important stuff, so I set permissions that only my account can access partition...
- My brother wishes to watch movies from his account, and sometimes I am not at home, and I am afraid to give him my password
- There is about 30 different folders on that partition, so is it possible to allow other users access only to Movies folder, without having to set permissions to each folder manually...

Hope you understood my question? Thanks

A:Setting permissions to single folder

Setting permissions can be challenging to some. One option you should consider is to get and external usb hard drive, place the movies on it. Then you won't have to worry about access to your profile. Then he can log on to his account and view them.

Permissions
Technet permissions

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/290169-setting-permissions-single-folder.html
Relevancy 59.77%

On Windows XP, installing iTunes requires admin rights. However, it is not good to use an admin account for regular work. For the Palm Desktop, the workaround was to grant admin rights to the user account, install the application using the user-turn-admin account, then ungrant admin rights. Will this last step cause problems for iTunes, or does iTunes require admin rights for its regular operation (outside of being installed)?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/grant-user-admin-rights-install-itune-ungrant-rights-401232.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I have a bunch of people on my network, and some shared folders.

I want to prevent certain users from making changes to the folders, but I want to be able to make changes from wireless connection.

So, how can I make it so I can make changes wirelessly but others cannot?

Basically right now, my permissions are set for

Everyone read/write
Guest read/write

But when I try to add a "network path to share with" like specific stations IE;
\\Computername\Windowsname

It doesn't work.

Can anyone advise on how I can prevent certain wireless users from modifying shared directories while granting others the ability? Specifically, certain wireless stations?

Any additional information would be invaluable.

-Sandra

Relevancy 58.91%

Hi,

Does any1 know how to copy the shared permissions and ntfs permissions on shared folders? I want to copy all of my shared folders to a new server and as you know you loose all the shared settings when you do this. I have used Robocopy, permcopy and scopy but they do not work!!!!!!

Any other software out there??????????????????

Thanks,

Ayaz

A:????????Help???? Need to copy SHARED PERMISSIONS????

Have you tried to migrate the users folders in order to preserve permissions. See USMT:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...621f-4537-b311-1307df0105611033.mspx?mfr=true

Oh, and lay off the ? key will ya

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-need-to-copy-shared-permissions.733480/
Relevancy 58.91%

I have multiple computers running Windows 7, 10 and Linux on my network.I would like one computer (Windows 7 for now, but may upgrade to 10) to access a share on another computer (same OS situation). I don't want the other computers to see the folder.Can I map a network drive or something?Old stuff that still works, somewhat....

A:how to set up permissions on a shared file

As I understand you can only share folders.Copy of create a shortcut of the files you want to share in "Public folder".Permission can be set on the shared folders as well as users who can access it.http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ph/...

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-7/how-to-set-up-permissions-on-a-shared-file/19269.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I'm trying to share a folder on my server running Windows Advanced Server I can create the shared folder put permissions on it and users and what not So the default is set to everyone which is what I want I folder Shared Permissions want anybody to access this shared folder on my network My problem is when I try Permissions Shared folder to Permissions Shared folder detect the share or use it from one of my network computers it prompts me for a user name and password This wouldn't bug me so much if I Permissions Shared folder could actually log into the share with my credentials I've tried every user name and password I've ever used setting up that server including the administrator credentials and it won't let me log into my share folder I've gone through all the tutorials on how to set up shares on windows it should just let me log into the share if I leave it default to everyone I have no idea why it's even prompting me for a login or why my credentials won't work So my questions are Am I right that when I click to share a folder that the default everyone means that I should be able to access the share without credentials Is there any reason why my administrator credentials don't work to login into the share And there is only one user account on the computer and it's the administrator account So I assume if I had to login with anything it would be those credentials

A:Permissions Shared folder

I couldn't find an update button, so sorry for the double post. I guess I can login to my share with the computer administrator credentials. So my only question is, how do I make a shared folder that anyone can access on my network without credentials?

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-2000/permissions-shared-folder/65551.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I have a wireless network with five computers on it (4 PC, 1 Mac). One of the computers is used by a part-time intern, and I don't want them to have access to the shared directories and drives on the network. How do I change the permissions to keep that one computer out of the shared stuff?

A:Shared drive permissions

OS's being used?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-drive-permissions.501177/
Relevancy 58.48%

I have a win7 Pro server and 2 win7 Pro laptops and and from the laptops can reach all the the shared folders on our server except the server itself (C:). The C: is shared with permissions are set on server, and the workgroup has the same name.

A:Cannot access shared C: with permissions on server

If you really need to access the entire drive I would investigate the built-in admin shares with the $ after the drive, as in C$ D$ etc..

In XP and earlier I had no trouble sharing drives. In Vista and later it was a hassle. I had a docking station I used with internal HDs. Sharing the whole drive was such a pita that I made a folder at the root of the drive, moved the entire folder structure into it, then shared that folder. Things were much easier. Of course the system partition cannot be treated the same way. See what you can find on built in admin shares with the dollar symbol after the name.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/397397-cannot-access-shared-c-permissions-server.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I have three computers in a small office One computer is directly connected to an HP OfficeJet G series all-in-one The printer permissions printer a Solved: shared on is set up as a shared printer I logged on to each of the other computers as administrator and installed the printer printed a test page and it worked However as I understand it shared printers have to Solved: permissions on a shared printer be installed by each individual log-on to the same machine So I logged onto each computer under the name of the user log-on we are a small library and this is our literacy office and installed the printer I had no problems installing Solved: permissions on a shared printer the printer I clicked on the option to browse for a printer and after a long wait typical the options finally came up and I was able to see and choose the printer I wanted in the list However when I try to print a test page it just comes up in the printer window with a status of quot deleting-printing quot and nothing prints I know the computers and the printer can see each other over the network because if I go to the printer window on the computer that is physically connected I can see the quot deleted-printing quot status And I can print if I am logged on as administrator so I surmise there must be a permissions problem However I am not finding it I went to the printer properties and all I can check under sharing is share or do not share Shared is chosen I went into the securities tab and gave the specific log-ons permissions and finally I went back and gave quot creator-owner quot full permissions and finally I just went ahead and gave quot everyone quot full security permissions and I still cannot print under specific log-ons These computers are covered by a security policy in active directory but I put them both in quot safe haven quot and tested them and the printing still did not work Any insight would be greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-permissions-on-a-shared-printer.490834/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi,

I'm looking for an answer to this problem:

Restricting access to shared network folders for specific Win7 pc's

I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction..

Many thanks,

Staffs Lebowski

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/380232-how-do-i-restrict-permissions-shared-folder-another-pc.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Please see the uploaded files for specifics of the problem. They also contains screen shots of relevant property sheets and dialogue boxes.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andynic

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/permissions-on-shared-folder-in-workgroups.976654/
Relevancy 58.48%

I have to select a user upon startup of Windows instead of have just being prompted for a password as per usual of having one user. Same deal when locking. Any ideas?

A:Have to select user upon startup, and after locking. Single User

Hello KillerHonky, and welcome to Seven Forums.

If you have to select a user's icon at the log on screen, then what other user's icon is displayed to select from if you only have a single user account on the computer?

....or do you mean that you have to enter both the user name and password at log on instead of just the password?

You could use the tutorial below to set Windows 7 to automatically log on to a user account at startup.

Log On Automatically at Startup

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/194713-have-select-user-upon-startup-after-locking-single-user.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I'm running XP Pro with mulitiple users. I want to "turn off" Internet access for a single user while leaving free access to the other users.

I've tried a couple of NetNanny style programs, but I don't like the extra passwords that others have to use, and I don't like extra burden on system resources.

j.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/block-internet-for-single-user-on-multi-user-xp-pro.142159/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello I'm looking for a way to give a user admin permissions for his regular AD account on his computer Example he is logged on as a regular user but needs to install software I want to give him admin permissions until reboot or some other point in time after which he loses his permissions again and of to dynamically user user logonid give permissions admin group administrators to Adding has to ask again Adding logonid of user to administrators group to dynamically give user admin permissions I know giving admin access to users is a bad Adding logonid of user to administrators group to dynamically give user admin permissions idea and all but that's how it goes with quot whoami logonid quot I get an ID that I can add to the administrators group by code like this objUser ADSI quot WinNT id quot objGroup ADSI quot WinNT computer Administrators quot To my amazement this works now the user can enter his own credentials in a UAC box and get admin access After a reboot logon this ID changes so he would need to ask admin permissions again It's possible to ask the user for a motivation and log this and to also clean up the administrators group at a given interval or at boot as well as check if a user is allowed to elevate his rights on this computer Of course once a user has admin rights he can circumvent all this but that's something we have to live with What's most important is dat not just anyone can elevate his rights I'm looking for opinions on this way of working Anyone have experience with this mechanism Is it reliable and secure as far as giving admin rights to a user can be secure I may be missing something

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/35ba1083-1de8-4ced-9567-20d19ce23fa6/adding-logonid-of-user-to-administrators-group-to-dynamically-give-user-admin-permissions?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 57.62%

Thank you for looking.

I have two Windows XP Pro computers. On Computer1 there is one user called Test. On computer2 there are five users including Test. When the user Test is on the second computer I want him only to have access to all the files on Computer1. I do not want to the other users on Computer2 to have access to anything on Computer1 other than then the shared folder. How can I do this?

I know how to give share folders globally.

Thank you.

A:Giving certain users permissions on a shared folder

Use Advanced File Sharing (i.e., turn off Simple File Sharing) and give permission only to Test.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/giving-certain-users-permissions-on-a-shared-folder.755155/
Relevancy 57.62%

There is a folder on a network drive that I need to audit the permissions for. I have to find the permissions for the folders and files in it as well. I have used DumpSec and AccessEnum, but the output of both is somewhat unorganized. I want something that will break down the permissions so that I could print them out to give to someone with less technical knowledge. They just need to know who has what permissions to what files. Thanks.

3ric

A:How do I audit permissions on a shared drive/folder

and your operating system is??

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/371729/how-do-i-audit-permissions-on-a-shared-drivefolder/
Relevancy 57.62%

We have a shared folder on folder issue access/permissions Shared a Server server that is somehow inaccessible from just one Windows PC When I try to access it using the UNC I get the error message - server name share name is not accessible You might not have permission to use Shared folder access/permissions issue this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions This operation is supported only when you are connected to the server The 'Everyone' group has 'Modify' permission to the folder Security and Share permissions so it's not a permissions issue If I replace the server name with the server's IP address in the UNC it works so it's not a connection issue I can connect to another share on the same server with the server name in the path so it's not a name resolution issue I can log into the PC next to the affected one with the same user account and access the share Shared folder access/permissions issue just fine I've tried reloading the DNS and NetBIOS caches I've tried removing and readding the computer to the domain Group policy is being applied successfully and the computer's account is in the same OU as the one next to it Does anyone have any advice

A:Shared folder access/permissions issue

Check the Lm Compatibility Level setting in the registry on the 7 box.

Go to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
If LmCompatibilityLevel isn't there, add it as a new Dword value
Set the value to 1
Reboot the 7 box and try again

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/221701-shared-folder-access-permissions-issue.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi all,

I have run into a problem where one guy is sharing his outlook 2003 calendar with his secretary, suddenly he is not able to open or edit anything in the calendar, but the secretary is able to do everything! He is only able to see an overview of calendar (month, week, day) with the titles only but unable to open, edit, move or delete an item in specific. I checked the permissions and it has 2 options

Default: Owner
"secretary name" Edit

I even checked the secretary's calendar but couldn't figure out something she might have done to cause this to happen.

What could possibly cause that to happen?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-outlook-calendar-lost-permissions.603427/
Relevancy 57.62%

Im trying to share a harddrive connected to my computer over a router, and the drive + files can be seen on other computers (all are Windows 7), but nothing can be done with the files. I tried both the batch program found here and using the "Create a Shared Folder Wizard". The permissions for both were full for everyone, and yet no one else can access the files. How can I make it so that everyone can at least execute and copy the files?

A:Shared file permissions not working properly

When you say everyone has full control, i assume this is the share permissions.
You also need to look at the 'Security' permissions for those users too (right click the folder >> Properties >> Security tab)

There is 1 other thing to consider, the same username / password needs to be on all computers.
Example:

Computer 1 has username jamie
Computer 2 has username sally
Computer 3 has username dave

computer 1 has the shared hard drive attached --

you will need to create the user names sally and dave on computer 1 with the same password as they have on computer 2 and 3.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
JDobbsy1987

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/255847-shared-file-permissions-not-working-properly.html
Relevancy 57.62%

We have a office contacts folder that has been shared out from a local pc. A user on a different pc wants to make some category changes on this shared folder. They have This is Outlook 2010. They have Publishing Editor permissions on this folder. They go to categorize > all categories > then on the right it says new but that is greyed out. I switched their permissions to Owner and it did not change their ability to click new. Is it impossible for anyone except the creator of the folder to make the changes?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-public-contact-folder-permissions.1091587/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi, I created a shared folder on my network, but I do not wish to share it to every user on my network. How would I designate which users have access to it?

Thanks

A:Networking: Setting Access Permissions For Shared Folders

In the Shared Properties set a Password. That is the easiest way.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/46189/networking-setting-access-permissions-for-shared-folders/
Relevancy 57.19%

I used to use WMP s network sharing service to stream my albums to my PS I keep all my albums on a single folder which is the sole folder I share on WMP and it keeps corrupting my (shared) permissions sharing WMPnetwork folder's corrupts the folder permissions I can play the files but if I try and copy a file it says that the access is denied and a corrupt file stays in place which can not be deleted The whole folder is not deletable either this is the error dialog box I get quot Cannot delete xxxxxxx Access is denied Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use quot Last time it took me like an hour to get into safe mode and manually set the permissions for the folders but managed to fix it and I thought that was going to be the end of it but it seems that it has happened again Any ideas nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wmpnetwork-sharing-corrupts-my-shared-folders-permissions.128805/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hello I'm having an issue sharing network to access folder trying No permissions error when shared folders between two computers both No permissions error when trying to access shared network folder running windows The computers see each other on the network and the Public folder is accessible but when I try to share a folder from another user account the folder shows up on the network but is not accessible It gives me a 'no permission to access this file contact a network administrator' error message I have set the permissions of the file to allow full read and write for everyone In advanced sharing settings in the Network and Sharing center I have file sharing on password protected sharing off I've tried both encryption settings without any effect and I've also tried turning password protected sharing on which doesn't fix the problem Homesharing does not work between these computers either They see each other but will not open any folders I am at a bit of a loss as to what to try next I've tested disabling all of my antivirus and firewalls I made sure that they were on the same workgroup If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it Thank you

A:No permissions error when trying to access shared network folder

Quote: Originally Posted by TychoPsycho

Hello, I'm having an issue sharing folders between two computers both running windows 7. The computers see each other on the network and the Public folder is accessible but when I try to share a folder from another user account the folder shows up on the network but is not accessible. It gives me a 'no permission to access this file, contact a network administrator' error message. I have set the permissions of the file to allow full read and write for everyone. In advanced sharing settings in the Network and Sharing center I have file sharing on, password protected sharing off, I've tried both encryption settings without any effect and I've also tried turning password protected sharing on which doesn't fix the problem. Homesharing does not work between these computers either, They see each other but will not open any folders. I am at a bit of a loss as to what to try next, I've tested disabling all of my antivirus and firewalls, I made sure that they were on the same workgroup. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thank you.

You might try going into the Security Tab of the folder you want to share. With the security tab open hit the "Add" button, then next window hit the "Edit" button then add "Everyone" to the access list, hit ok then apply then apply again on the security window. Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups
Alternatively, you could try setting up a Homegroup on these machines and use the Homegroup folders to share with. It's really much easier than the tutorials make it look.

Homegroup - Create
Homegroup - Add Computer or Join

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/233269-no-permissions-error-when-trying-access-shared-network-folder.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi All,

My users are on Outlook 2007 and we connect to an exchange server (2003). The problem we are having is that previously shared calendars are suddenly becoming unavailable. The message that pops up is:

'The set of folders cannot be opened.'

A more detailed message suggests the following:

'This error usually occurs if the OST or PST file you are using is:
> Unavailable
> Protected with file permissions.
> On a share on a server and the network is down.
> Corrupt

To correct this problem, store the OST or PST file on the local computer.

You may also want to run the scanost.exe and scanpst.exe tools to verify file integrity.'

I have tried scanning them and they are fine. When I look at the permissions they are gone. When the user re-shares the calendar it is ok again but often looses the permission after a re-boot (but not always).

Any ideas welcome...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2007-losing-shared-calendar-permissions.590850/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hey Guys,

I've got a problem getting offline folder permissions to stick after restarts in our domain. Here's what I do:

Go to MMC>shared folders>shares>C$ (as an example)>properties>offline settings> and then I change "only files and folders users specify..." to "All files...". Apply and done.

It works like a champ for what I'm trying to do (enable Restore Previous Versions of files to actually work- I learned that RPV fix from another thread here at seven), but after each restart the settings are restored to default. I'm assuming there's a group policy I can implement that'll auto-set those permissions permanently but I can't find any 'offline' shared folder permissions options anywhere. Thanks for any help.

A:GP for permanently changing shared folder offline permissions?

Sorry, forgot to mention the environment. We're running 100% Windows 7 workstations and an SBS 2011 server.

The whole point of my question is to ultimately enable a WORKING 'restore previous versions' feature for each workstation across the domain. As far as I can see, after much testing, with the setting I'm trying to permanently enable turned on, restore points actually do back up files for RPV... and with it off, RPV is totally useless on every workstation.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/239815-gp-permanently-changing-shared-folder-offline-permissions.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hey everyone,

so I just noticed two of my computers are automatically sharing the entire user?s directory with all permissions for everyone, I was reading up on this a bit before and it seems it?s a Windows bug.

I was wondering, since the password protected sharing is turned on by default, would anyone have been able to gain access to my computers information if they didn't have a user account / password or would they need an account / password no matter what the permissions are set to.
Thank you.

A:Is a folder shared by permissions or is an account / password needed

By default windows has the "guest" account turned off so no, no one outside with a username/pw that was not already known by your local machine should have been able to get access.

Though I'm surprised that you found your users folder shared since I have never seen that by default. Given that, I'd check to see if your computers "guest" user is enabled or not... (hopefully not). If it was then it may have been possible for others to browse that folder...

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/206200-folder-shared-permissions-account-password-needed.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I have computer all running windows xp home sp I also on invisible comp see others and shared network cant Sharing: my use a linksys WRV G wireless router Computer is Sharing: my comp invisible and cant see others shared on network connected by ethernet computer a laptop is connected wirelessly and computer is connected both by ethernet and wireless while on computer i cannot see any of the shared folders or any computer and when i click on quot Sharing: my comp invisible and cant see others shared on network My Network Places quot i can only see an MSN butterfly icon under the title quot internet quot and a quot linksys Internet Gateway Device quot icon under local network that promps me to put in my name and pass to change router settings basically a shortcut to putting my router ip into the IE browser On both computer and i can see all the shared files except for the files on coputer On comp amp in my network places i can see all three computers when i click on comp it tells me access is denied and to ask the admin for access I can ping amp from comp but i cannot ping comp from either of the other computers Every computer has windows firewall disabled and are running Norton Internet Security Also all connections in the quot show all connections quot window on all computers do not have the lock icon firewalls on those are turned off Every computer is sharing something Also in the network connection properties the file sharing option is checked The router is not using any type of encryption i have tried making the same name accounts on both computers but only gotten as far as making two with same name and permissions i have searched the web many times to try and find an answer to this but so far nothing i have tried has worked Can anyone help me out nbsp

A:Sharing: my comp invisible and cant see others shared on network

First off make sure all PC's are in the same workgroup. second about the pinging your going to have to scour Norton Internet Security 2005 and find where to setup the firewall in it to allow the local PC's to commmunicate.

If you can't ping and they are all on the same router then there definitely is a firewall problem here if they all can web browse just fine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-my-comp-invisible-and-cant-see-others-shared-on-network.499007/
Relevancy 54.61%

hi guys first 2 internet comp. problem connect shared between time posting here but i just wanted to share i have been shared internet connect problem between 2 comp. reading here for a while and i must say that i appreciate all the help you do to those who needs it however i got a problem of my own now shared internet connect problem between 2 comp. and i cant seem to find anyone that shares this problem with me i got one windows x computer comp A that is the host for a shared internet shared internet connect problem between 2 comp. connection by network not wireless and i got one windows x computer comp B that connects to internet trough comp A i never had any problems losing connection to internet with comp A however with comp B i often lose internet but only partial what i mean with this is that the comp B can still for example play games online for example world of warcraft and will never lose connection but when you try to connect by web browser it's like it can't find the internet sometimes and sometimes it's suddenly works even if that might not be to often i have no clue what this problem is and I'm happy to share any info you guys may need to fix this problem both computers are using Realtek RTL C P C P Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC NDIS

A:shared internet connect problem between 2 comp.

Quote: Originally Posted by haesten

hi guys! first time posting here but i just wanted to share i have been reading here for a while and i must say that i appreciate all the help you do to those who needs it.

however i got a problem of my own now and i cant seem to find anyone that shares this problem with me.

i got one windows 7 x64 computer (comp A) that is the host for a shared internet connection by network, not wireless.

and i got one windows 7 x64 computer (comp B) that connects to internet trough comp A.

i never had any problems losing connection to internet with comp A however with comp B i often lose internet but only partial. what i mean with this is that the comp B can still for example play games online (for example world of warcraft) and will never lose connection.

but when you try to connect by web browser it's like it can't find the internet sometimes. and sometimes it's suddenly works (even if that might not be to often).

i have no clue what this problem is and I'm happy to share any info you guys may need to fix this problem.

both computers are using Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)

So you have had this working before on another OS. you shared the nics. what else did you have to do to get it to work before?

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/31061-shared-internet-connect-problem-between-2-comp.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hey,

I just wanted to know whether its possible for a standard user to be abe to install programs/apps on their account. Basically im the admin and have a password on my account. I want to create another user for everyone to use and allow them to install programs, however i dont want them to be able to access my files or folders through the C:/Users section, is this possible to do?

I know you can stop them seeing your files and folders if they have a standard account,but they cant install anything.

Please let me know, thanks

A:User Permissions Standard user

Oh so i can make them admin, but make the permissions to my files private, right?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/90073-user-permissions-standard-user.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I inherited a Dell XP Computer with Vista Operating System from my stepson Pat who could never names, user Privileges, Permissions, an control User Account file Control, Ownership, figure out the machine I seem to have many problems with Vista revolving around User Account Control User Account Control, Privileges, Permissions, Ownership, user names, file control an Privileges Permissions Ownership user names file control and directory structure etc I ve been working around UAC problems but there has to be a User Account Control, Privileges, Permissions, Ownership, user names, file control an way out of this My most recent issue IE has problems fully loading web pages With IE like several programs that I run with this computer I get messages that say I have corrupt files I get object error warnings Chkdsk does not fix problems While shopping for a new car battery with many pages open the computer completely hung up last night I had to kill power and reboot IE did not work I Unloaded and IE would not work also Google Chrome is fine I have internet access I reset all defaults After hours of messing around I discovered the way to start IE is Run as Administrator Then like so many other programs I run I get the screen Windows screen A Program needs your permission to continue When I dumped my old files on this XP computer from my old computer They resided in User Mike W old I had no permissions with this user so I moved all the files to Pat I renamed user administrator Pat to Mike W under the desktop but the user pat did not update under the OS C drive Users Pat and there is no option to rename here Pat was the original administrator Vista is telling me that Vista creates a List of directories under the Administrator including a Desktop Downloads Documents Contact Favorites etc When I open explore right Click off the classic START button The folders display in green What is the significance of the Green colored folders in windows explorer Somehow I ended up creating two desktops in User Mike W The actual desktop has some but not all the files from the yellow folder Desktop in Mike W none from the Green Desktop folder How do I clean this all up I ve been to the help sections of Vista and looked at permissions ownership UAC etc but when I go in to try to change anything in the check boxes they are grayed out I have no place to start Please Help me get some understanding and control of this machine as I am desperate

A:User Account Control, Privileges, Permissions, Ownership, user names, file control an

Hello, did you use the Easy Transfer method ? Transfer files and settings from another computer

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/293780-user-account-control-privileges-permissions-ownership-user-names-file-control.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Not sure which category this goes in. I am using Win XP and had the Microsoft Shared Computer Tool on this PC. I want to update to Steady State but can't uninstall the MSCT. Please help! This has stopped XP Service Pack 3 and some other updates because the old MSCT is still on here. It says it can't find a file it needs to do the uninstall.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/win-xp-unable-to-install-shared-comp-toolkit-for-new-s-s-tool-249523.html
Relevancy 53.32%

My father replaced his Windows 98 machine with a new computer running Windows 7. He's currently on 32-bit ultimate, but we could change versions if needed.

He's really hoping there's some way to force Windows 7 into a single user mode, primarily so C:\users\All Users, Default User, Public, and his own user are merged into one. It's absolutely driving him nuts the way it is.

I've done quite a bit of searching and have came up empty. Before I said it couldn't be done, I'm wondering if anyone's heard of a way to do this.

A:Win 7 single user, merging users\All Users, Default User, Public, etc?

Just curious, but why does this annoy him so much? Surely it's not that complicated a system and all of his documents etc are stored in the same place, with more or less easy to use shortcuts to these directories placed throughout Windows 7?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/210398-win-7-single-user-merging-users-all-users-default-user-public-etc.html
Relevancy 53.32%

A while back I let a friend set my computer up for 2 people. You know. Seperate user names, seperate passwords. He is no longer around, and I would like to change my PC back to a single user PC. Oh yea almost forgot. Lenovo Idea Center K-300 Windows 7 64 bit..
Thanks for the help

A:Single user PC

Go to Control ->User Accounts.

Delete the one you don't what any longer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/single-user-pc.187547/
Relevancy 53.32%

what's the easiest way to share drives from one xp to another, i tried sharing but windows folder and programs folder show access denied. what to do?

A:Shared Drive C: From One Comp To Other But Windows And Programs Access Denied

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-drive-c-from-one-comp-to-other-but-windows-and-programs-access-denied.408408/
Relevancy 52.89%

I have a set of files on a Windows Vista computer that need to be shared on a wireless in-house network with a pair of Win XP v2002 SP3 computers. The files seem to be accessible on the network, the firewalls on all three computers are turned off for testing (I'll tweak the rules later once I get it working), they are all on the same workgroup, etc etc. Whenever I try accessing the files on either of the XP computers, Explorer crashes. Do I need to update them? Is there something that I am missing?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-shared-folder-causing-xp-accessing-comp-explorer-crash.730636/
Relevancy 52.89%

I currently use Vista, and have Win7 on pre-order.

My question is: can I set up Win7 as a single-user system, and not have to mess with the user access controls? I have a single user defined on my Vaio now, but I still have to deal with the multiple levels of user controls/etc. I just want the desktop/directories to show up like they used to, before I had to traverse down through the user level. For example, could I just be the administrator in Win7 and not define any other users? If I can do that, do I have to do a clean install (since I do have a single user defined now)?

Thanx/Jerry

A:Single User Question

Hello Jerry, and welcome to Seven Forums.

I think you may have misunderstood what UAC is. Read the links in the green information box in the tutorial below for a more detailed explanation of what UAC is and what is does if you like. The tutorial below will also show you how to turn UAC off.

User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings

You might also look into the built-in Adminsitrator account to see if you may be interested in using it for what you want. I would recommend to stick with your current default administrator account though for better security.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/26624-single-user-question.html
Relevancy 52.89%

As a single user I'm not worried about physical login.

However, I do download from the NET and have several of my own programs which access trusted servers of third parties. I never paid much attention to security as up to down figured those hacking were way ahead of those trying to stop it.

With my new build and install of Windows 7, I decided maybe now is the time.

So my questions are:

1) When accessing the NET should I be logging on to my system as a user rather than administrator?
2) Is Windows 7 Firewall adequate or better than someone else?
3) Would it be better to use a sandbox?
4) If I use a sandbox, how can I ensure that the programs or pages I download from the NET are not infected so I can copy them onto my system -- e.g. what program should I run against the download to check it for viruses)?

Thanks
David

A:Single User Security

David
Very astute questions.
It is suggested that you do not log on as administrator. If you are infected by malware the damage done will be limited
Windows 7 firewall is fine. Others are going to post and disagree, since it is a matter of opinion. I trust my system to the built in fire wall.
Sandboxie is very good software. I do not use it but it will give you an extra layer of protection
You can test the safety of any download with virus total
https://www.virustotal.com/
Now here is your bonus answer. I use the free Macrium Reflect. It makes an image of my hard drive (I make an image after any big changes, ie updates. It has saved me from 3 virus. You get a virus, just replace with the image.
Good luck to you

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/355123-single-user-security.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I have XP, and am the only user of my computer. When I boot up, I get a prompt with my user name that I must click on before the machine finishes booting. Is there a way to avoid this?

Thanks.

Relevancy 52.89%

I'm helping a small business with a new software application that requires an SQL environment with either Windows 2000 or 2003. The application will not require networking and will be utilized by a single user. They currently run a UNIX based network server called a chilibox and are very happy with it. The application user is running an XP Pro machine. What is the easiest way to make the single user SQL environment? Can I create it on her current workstation?

Many thanks

A:Single User SQL on an XP Machine?

How about installing the MDSE version of SQL (aka SQL 2005 Express) and install it on your XP Workstation?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/

Or is your product doesn't support 2005, then try the MSDE 2000 RelA.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/aa336301.aspx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/single-user-sql-on-an-xp-machine.506505/
Relevancy 52.89%

Is there such a thing? Just myself as Administrator. No Guest and no other user accounts, and with full security options.

The option to add another language could be useful.

Thanks for your expertise.

Relevancy 52.89%

This has most likely been covered before but I am wondering about admin accounts vs non admin accounts.
I understand that if you have a network you most likely would want to have an admin and a group of users.
But what if you have a single computer with only one user?
Is there any advantage or necessity to have an admin account and a user account ?
Is an admin account necessarily more secure to the outside world? as in protection from hackers, malware, viruses, etc.

A:Single User Security

With a single pc you should create a standard user account and use it for everything. Only use the admin account when necessary.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/206141-single-user-security.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Earlier today maybe an hour before this post I was watching a LP on Youtube I ve been watching it for a few days now While watching my laptop A HP DV froze I m used to some infrequent freezing that seems more like lag then freezing and I usually restart afterward but this freeze was very different The sound from the video didn t keep going like the times Does Single Load Not User before when it froze instead it did this weird skippy thing Like if it had froze on the word quot Door quot it just said quot D-d-d-d-dd-d-d-d-dd quot for about a minute Then it paused slightly continued to make the noise but it sounded lower At this point I just forced a restart I felt the keyboard and it was kind of warm but not really So I left it open and let it cool down for a few minutes Then I restarted the computer It asked about running in safe mode blah blah and I went back to the of users that I was using before When I loaded Single User Does Not Load it though it took a long time Around or so minutes to get from quot Welcome quot to the actual desktop Once there it showed the quot device not compatible quot or whatever page which I keep forgetting to get rid of When I move the mouse to click it it lags for a while but then the mouse kicks in and I can press cancel At this point it still has not loaded the desktop it just looks like a black wallpaper without desktop icons Then I look down at the taskbar and I see that the time is the same as whatever time welcome screen disappeared If I put my mouse over the taskbar to try and click something pinned it just gives me the loading circle amp mouse thing Pressing the windows key does not pull up the menu I restarted a few times and got the same symptoms so finally I logged into a different account from the welcome page which worked perfectly Then I logged off and tried to log onto the buggy account it didn t work I hibernated from there fn f method and it hibernated but when I turned the comp back on it couldn t resume When I restarted it asked if I wanted to try to resume again but I declined and logged onto a non-buggy account and came here to post this Usually I try to fix my own computer messes but I ve only been using windows for about weeks now and I barely feel comfortable fixing the registry for Daemon Tools I didn t even try so I don t think I ll be trying to fix this on my own EDIT It is hours later and now I cannot log onto this user at all It freezes on the welcome page as it is loading I checked all of my startup programs I ran my antivirus and malware bytes though I doubt that is it issue I feel like the problem must lie in the ntuser dat log files and such on that account but I just cannot bring myself to fiddle with them since that may ruin everything Normally I would just delete the account but it is the only account that I really use and it was such a hassle getting all my stuff on there plus since I don t know what the problem is I don t want to attempt to move any of my stuff from there to another account grrrrr EDIT It dawned on me to try and do a system restore but that didn t work either O o which is weird since the restore point was from days ago and I didn t have this problem twelve hours ago so much as days I wish system restore was more like an image

A:Single User Does Not Load

Hello hopefully I can point you in the right direction to fix your problem.Please read this concerning ntuser.dat a corrupted user profile. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...ed-user-profileHope this helps and please keep us informed as to whether this helped or not.Kind regards.Bruce.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/339284/single-user-does-not-load/
Relevancy 52.89%

I'm helping a small business with a new software application that requires an SQL environment with either Windows 2000 or 2003. The application will not require networking and will be utilized by a single user. They currently run a UNIX based network server called a chilibox and are very happy with it. The application user is running an XP Pro machine. What is the easiest way to make the single user SQL environment? Can I create it on her current workstation?

Many thanks

A:Single User SQL on an XP Machine?

I figured somebody would answer this by now.

If I recall, there's a single user SQL from Microsoft that's a "desktop edition"
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/msde/prodinfo.mspx

Of course, now that I've read this, it appears that they're canning this for Vista.

In the mean time, you should be able to use the MSDE engine. Not the fastest, but if it's single user it's probably ok.

Having said that, using SQL etc has some caveats.

1] Whatever the XP system has now, it'll probably need more memory to perform satisfactory.
2] You need to protect the system and filesystems/database from being shutdown abnormally. They need to be queiesced. This means the system needs a UPS of some form. Something that will keep it up long enough to shutdown gracefully.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/single-user-sql-on-an-xp-machine.506468/
Relevancy 52.03%

I am running Win XP on a laptop. I know in XP Pro you can set up user premissions, ie cant download, etc. Can this be done in XP home? I have looked in Admin services but cant seem to find anything. Thanks for all the help!

Relevancy 52.03%

I m setting up a few Win machines for a client and they user permissions want an quot admin quot account in addition to the standard quot administrator quot account and a quot user quot account for each computer I want the users to be able to connect to any wifi network they have available however due to user permissions they are prompted for the admin password whenever they try to make the wifi network quot Work quot or quot Home quot I ve tried granting the user account quot Power User quot access but this does not help Am I stuck being forced to completely disable UAC or are there any group policies available that would allow users to only be prompted for admin password when they want to do something quot administration-like quot Such as accessing another user s folders setting up a file share user permissions etc I want users to be able to install printer drivers select a quot Work quot or quot Home quot network but NOT to install software applications outside of printer drivers None of these machines are connected to a domain only a quot workgroup quot as all shared files are accessible via a Sharepoint site in the cloud Thanks in advance nbsp

A:user permissions

Well, if these are desktop machines, then there should be no problems with having the admin come over to set up networking just once.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-permissions.1107843/
Relevancy 52.03%

So a couple months ago my roommate was using my computer and tried to install a quot free quot game on Help user permissions with the Internet From that I got a Help with user permissions bunch of malware and I think a virus I tried to fix by uninstalling suspicious software or applications It worked for awhile but I made the stupid choice to download a torrent that I Help with user permissions think infected my computer even more I ve done a lot of research and have tried everything to fix it I first tried to install malware bytes to scan my pc But it won t let install any type of anti malware software Also when I uninstalled suspicious software I think I might have uninstalled necessary programs or software I also tried to figure out how to disable proxy settings but mistakenly disable my permissions to change them I m stuck and have no idea where to go I m not Computer expert and have no money to take my PC to a repair place I need my computer for school so if someone could at least point me in the right director it would be greatly appreciated Thank you nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-user-permissions.1166124/
Relevancy 52.03%

I want to install the utilities that came with my Asus P8P67 Motherboard. When I have them installed, however, all of the non-admin accounts keep getting a string of 5-6 admin password requests to allow the programs to make changes. This is more than a little tedious.

I tried to run them as an administrator but that didn't change anything.

Any suggestions other than not installing the utilities?

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Professional if it matter.

Thank you.

A:User Permissions

I wouldn't install anything that changed Windows default security settings. Can you choose only some of them?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-permissions.989125/
Relevancy 52.03%

I am looking for some guidance on how to break some user permissions from a lap top hard drive to an external hard drive. I was deployed overseas and my lap top quit working on me. The hard drive is still good, everything works find when i connect it via usb to my desktop, I just can't transfer over anything because of user permissions. any help with this would be great . thank you for the time

Joel

A:user permissions

You will need to take ownership of the entire hard drive. Assuming that you are using Windows XP, try this Microsoft Help & Support article.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-permissions.850511/
Relevancy 52.03%

running win2000 pro on a stand alone pc with 2 hard drives both ntfs. is there any way that i can stop user's being able to access the second drive or certain directorys on the drive??

thanks in advance for any help

Tony

A:win 2k User Permissions?

If it's a standalone with NTFS you can do any number of things. If you don't want them to find it at all put a $ sign in the share name. Right click the drive you want to restrict access to and select permissions, take out the everyone and put your local account or admin account in there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-2k-user-permissions.97372/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello Well I am trying to fix a User permissions friends computer and I think there is some kind of virus All of the permissions seem to have been set to not User permissions have access to anything even on the administrator account Whenever I try to do anything like open anything User permissions in control panel or even open internet explorer it gives me a message saying rundll dll quot you may not have appropriate permissions quot That is cut down version of the message but I think you may get the idea If not I will try to re-create the message and write down the whole message however that computer is just so slow right now it takes a long time for things to load up I have taken a brief attempt to install some anti-malware programs however I can't even install anything right now I have no permissions to do anything The computer is an older compaq presario Can somebody advise me of where I can start here

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/user-permissions-419162.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Intel i7, Windows 7, HP 6000 printer, Word 2007, Works 4.5a.
I have three user accounts but can only print on the administrative account in which I installed the printer. I installed it as shown below but it still will not print in the other two user accounts. I wish to have my grandchildren use this printer from the guest account.
Devices and Printers
Printer properties
Sharing tab
Sharing this printer is checked
Security tab
Permissions for everyone
Print allow is checked.
In addition to Word 2007 I installed a Win95 copy of works and it will only print in the one account also so I am sure it is a Windows 7 software problem.
any ideas?

A:Print only in single user account.

Did you shut down and boot up again when you gave your kids account permission?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/41058-print-only-single-user-account.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Having just purchased a new laptop with Win XP Professional installed I am having significant problems in recreating the Win 98 environment I am used to. I have already switched to Windows Classic view throughout and set up categories under Start Menu > Programs so that I can keep everything clean. Unfortunately XP works with multiple users so I have 2 Start Menus which is really peeing me off.

It's MY computer and I will be the only person that uses it so how do change XP into a single user environment (All users only)?

Relevancy 52.03%

I'm considering reconfiguring the installer for an application I develop. In the past, it allowed for All Users installs. If I want it to only be installed as a Single User, what user folder does best practices use as the install target? I can think of a few possibilities:

c:\Users\UserName\My Documents\
c:\Users\
c:\Users\Program Files\

Of course I'd have to have my installer created that last one on the above list.

A:What folder should a Single User app be installed in?

While none of those really convinces me, I would think the best would be to use either %LOCALAPPDATA% or %APPDATA% environment variables as the base folder, which in particular in Windows 7 maps to c:\users\<username>\appdata\local and c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming respectively. Creating a folder right there and dumping the program, and afterwards its data, there is not a bad option for a portable program. Alternatively, using %USERPROFILE% (c:\users\<username>) is possible.

Installing to documents folder is not a good choice because that's a frequent place for user data, and extraneous folders there may get in the way while using another programs. Some programs (including MS ones) fall into that bad practice. The other two options are simply unacceptable, because users don't normally have write permissions there, unless the installer tampers with them, which is not recommended at all for built-in system locations.

Any choice you made, just make sure to give the user a choice to change it to anything he wants, and remember to always use those environment variables, or even better API calls to retrieve those paths, don't hardcode them.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/309437-what-folder-should-single-user-app-installed.html
Relevancy 52.03%

If it is possible to reconfigure WinXP (home or Pro) so there is only a single user, the "all-powerful" one, how is that done? I am the only real user, and my new machine has very little stuff on it, all replacable. I see that XP has the "Administrator" or "Owner" mode, which surely resembles what I intend to have as the sole and single subset of the OS. It also has "default user", and perhaps others, which were present when purchased. I have not created nor configured any of those modes or users.

So the basic questions are:
Is it acceptable to remove all those other "modes", leaving only the "Admin" mode?

If so, then may that mode be renamed?

Recognizing references to hacker-protection, are there other factors to consider?

Blessed Be;
UU7th

A:XP - Single-user. Remove other logins?

Default User should have the administrative powers. You should be able to remove the other users, and then, if you get a welcome screen and you don't want it, you can change the way you log on under "users" in the Control Panel. Be careful not to delete all users with Admin priveleges!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/22435/xp-single-user-remove-other-logins/
Relevancy 52.03%

Simple question:

What's the easiest way to revert XP to single user mode, so that no login is required and it simply boots directly to the desktop?

Thanks

A:Revert XP to single user mode

Delete all but one user and In the User panel, click on "Change the way users log on and off" and put a tick in Use Welcome Screen

wrs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/revert-xp-to-single-user-mode.287519/
Relevancy 52.03%

Is there a way to do a clean install of XP Pro without creating multi users such as Administrator and Guest, or in the alternative, delete both accounts. I am the only user of my PC and would like the boot-up process to skip all the log-on garbage and go straight to my desktop. I know I can disable the Guest account ( which I have done ) but that still forces me to do the password thing by choosing OK even though I didn't select a password when I did the install.

It seems to me that the 2 acct's were created after I did the install and I went to Microsoft's site to do the updates but without starting from scratch I'm not 100% sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

A:XP Pro clean install for single user

Wimpy369,

Welcome to TSG.

You Can go to Control Panel/ User Accounts and remove unwanted accounts.

Then Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security Settings/Minimum Password Length/Reduce it to 0.

Then Control Panel/User Account/Your Account/Remove Password

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-pro-clean-install-for-single-user.245979/
Relevancy 52.03%

We currently running Windows XP Home on our 2 Pc's at home. Four people use the PC's and we each have our own logons.

Is there a way so that when my son installs new software, (he seems to install about 10 new programs per day), it will ONLY populate his program list on his logon and NOT the program list for the other 3 users of the PC ? It is very frustrating

I notice that some installations ask if there will be a single or multiple users of that program, but what I would really like is to be able to be selective EVERY TIME.

Your help will be appreciated.

A:Installing program on XP for single user

I think the best way is to manually do it as I think there no way in stopping it happing.
Open C:\Documents and Settings you will see a All users folder look in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
If you copy all there and move to each users C:.......\Start Menu you can delete it from All users start menu folder and start to clean up your own menues
1)summary copy C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
2)paste to every users C:\Documents and Settings\Everyuser\Start Menu
3)delete whats in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
4)clean up your start menu

hope this helps

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-program-on-xp-for-single-user.504917/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello, from someone who embarrassingly never used nor really understood 'Sharing folders' in any Windows edition, I would simply like to know if I being the only user of my laptop where to stop sharing via my 'Users' folder I would get any benefit or at the very least not to suffer any malign consequences? I feel foolish for not getting familiar with such a basic part of Windows and I would be grateful for any advice.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/74526-sharing-implications-single-user.html
Relevancy 52.03%

My laptop has 4 user accounts all with administrator privileges, how do I install software for myself only so it doesnt show up in the other users start menu etc?

A:Install software for single user only

as far as im aware this is done on a program by program basis, some give you the option some dont,

i would guess that as alot (all?) programs need to be installed by an administrator windows saves you the hassle of reinstalling with admin credentials on each individual account by just installing them for everyone

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/68566-install-software-single-user-only.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I setting up Windows XP Professional on my new ThinkPad T60. I am the only one who will use or have access to the computer, and do not want to have to log in or have to enter my password if I haven't used the computer for a while. I set up my desktop computer with Windows XP some time ago, so I know it can be done, but have forgotten how I did it

How do I turn these settings off so that when I boot up I can start using the computer immediately?

Regards, Alex

Regards, Alex

A:Single user security settings

Start, Run and type: control userpasswords2. Uncheck the box for "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer".

It would be wise to password the "Administrator" account and create a separate account for yourself.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/single-user-security-settings.602999/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi everyone,
My friend just got a lap top HP ,when turns on the computer it has her name to click on to open up windows.
Is there a way to get rid of her name to log on,and just go right to windows without clicking on her name
Thanks

Airdale

A:Change user from dual to single

Well. you can simply never log off, just shutdown the computer and you'll never see the log on screen again. You can also change the name if you so desire. Or, if I read your post right...simply log on your name and never log off. There is a procedure to delete USERS and you can from the Control Panel. Make sure though that you are logged on as the Administrator.

BTW, I assuming this is XP????

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-user-from-dual-to-single.262887/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi I'm having an issue I just can't seem to figure out At my place of work we are currently in the process of upgrading our machines from XP to We recently got a brand new machine with for one of the employees So I installed all the necessary software on his machine under the administrator login for our domain Everything worked fine I take the new box to him boot it up try to open and set up his email Outlook and it gives me a Error - The path Application Data contains an invalid character So I try to uninstall or repair and get the same error I then log off the User's account he is set to run as administrator on the machine but not the Error 1324 Single User domain and log back as administrator and everything opens fine Then I log in with a different User's account and everything works fine So I'm thinking that this has to be a specific User issue but everything I have read says it is due to an error in the registry But this doesn't make sense to me since it is a brand new computer and other accounts worked fine Unless registry files transfer with the account and not the machine He is back on an XP box for the moment and everything is working fine but we need to upgrade him asap Anyone have any ideas Thanks

A:Single User 1324 Error

By the way same thing happens for Office suite 2007. It seems to be Office products in general.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/single-user-1324-error-560718.html
Relevancy 52.03%

how do I get an account for my wife on the computer with her own password so that she can have her own settings and e-mail?

A:Shared User

Go to start,control panel,user accounts,create a new account. Do you want it to be an admin or limited account?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-user.522628/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi folks I m new to networks and don t know if this is possible I am using Windows XP Pro and a simple port router with two computers on the LAN What ideally I want to do is to share the My Documents folder on one computer with for only Shared....but one user! the other computer - but only with the user that s documents it is On each computer I have set up usernames and passwords for each user but I would like Shared....but only for one user! them to be able to access their My Documents Shared....but only for one user! folder on the other computer too I don t however want this to be shared universally with all users of the remote or indeed the local PC Is this possible I know an alternative would be to create a folder for each users documents on the C drive and then have them save all their stuff in there - but when I go to share it with the other computer it allows all users access to it I hope you know what I mean and thanks so much for any all help Cheers Mark nbsp

A:Shared....but only for one user!

Right click on My Documents, Properties, Security. You'll notice that you have settings for each user, simply remove the permission to access those files from all but the user in question.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-but-only-for-one-user.358210/
Relevancy 51.6%

So something is wired here i have not changed anything but my user permissions look strange, i am admin on this pc always have been but this looks strange any help would be appreciated here is a picture off my user permission on a application, what gives here. and how can i fix if i need to.

A:something looks wired about my user permissions

you probably have your built in Admin account disabled.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/53405-something-looks-wired-about-my-user-permissions.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I need some help. I am trying to stop users from changing the permissions on their profiles.

Josh

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-permissions-on-nt-server-4-0.305411/
Relevancy 51.6%

I want to install the AI utilities that came with my Asus P8P67 Motherboard. When I have them installed, however, all of the non-admin accounts keep getting a string of 5-6 admin password requests to allow the programs to make changes. This happens upon every login and is more than a little tedious.

I tried to run them as an administrator but that didn't change anything.

Any suggestions other than not installing the utilities?

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Professional if it matter.

Thank you.

A:User Permissions for Programs

I take it you want to give non-admin accounts some level of power over the programs?

Go into the admin account.

Find the utilities .exe file (usally something like C:\program files\Asus\TurboV\Turbov.exe) and right click the .exe>Properties>Security>Edit>Left Click the User you want to give the privileges to>Click the appropriate privileges box you want>Click Apply

Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups

Dan

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/154406-user-permissions-programs.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi!

I would like to have a detailed list of the permissions available for each user type in Windows XP namely: Local Administrators, Power Users, and Standard Users. I have already researched on the internet but I have not yet seen a detailed list of the available permissions for each user account type. The more specific permissions the better (the ones that I am seeing on the internet only provide a general description on what permissions are allowed for each user type.

Here are some links that I already have (although these are not very specific):

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...proddocs/en-us/usercpl_overview.mspx?mfr=true
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_groups.htm
http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/WinXP/wxpgroups.html#administrator

Thank you!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-account-permissions-in-xp.942195/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi

I am new to setting up users accounts in XP pro. I am the only user of this computer so I have setup one limited account for myself to do all general work on except adminisatrative tasks. My problem is that whenever I want to move a file, rename a file etc as a limited user I get an error message saying - "Access denied Make sure that the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use". At the time no other users accounts are logged on and the disk is not full, I can do these actions as an administrator but not as a limited user. Could someone help me setup this account so I can do these simple tasks

Cheers

Ham

Relevancy 51.6%

I'm currently using Windows XP Professional Edition. For some reason all my accounts including the administrative accounts are limited to guest priviledges. All my original passwords for the accounts still work. I want to be able to change the permissions on these accounts back to administrator accounts but the OS won't let me since I do not have administrative permissions on any of the accounts that are on the computer.

A:Windows XP Pro User Permissions

If you boot into 'Safe Mode' you should be able to access the main 'Administrator' account, unless it has been deleted or corrupted. This account doesn't show on the login screen if there are other accounts present, so hopefully no one has messed with its settings. HTH

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-pro-user-permissions.220398/
Relevancy 51.6%

I've been trying to allow various programs access to my other HDDs/Partitions and every time I change the settings and click OK windows immediately forgets the changes.

I've tried r-clicking a HDD -> Properties -> Security and changing from "Everyone" to "Administrators(**-PC\Administrators)". When I do this all the little check boxes below switch to Allow like they should. Apply never becomes lit so I can only click OK or Cancel. I click OK thinking my file permissions are now changed but I still do not have permission. When I repeat the process to make sure windows accepted my changes I see it hasn't and goes back to only having the 3 below checked:

Read & Execute
List folder contents
Read
I've tried this with individual folders on a given HDD too to no avail.
Restarting the computer after making changes does nothing.

Thoughts?

A:7 Not Changing User Permissions

Quote: Originally Posted by nellofalltrades

I've been trying to allow various programs access to my other HDDs/Partitions and every time I change the settings and click OK windows immediately forgets the changes.

I've tried r-clicking a HDD -> Properties -> Security and changing from "Everyone" to "Administrators(**-PC\Administrators)". When I do this all the little check boxes below switch to Allow like they should. Apply never becomes lit so I can only click OK or Cancel. I click OK thinking my file permissions are now changed but I still do not have permission. When I repeat the process to make sure windows accepted my changes I see it hasn't and goes back to only having the 3 below checked:

Read & Execute
List folder contents
Read
I've tried this with individual folders on a given HDD too to no avail.
Restarting the computer after making changes does nothing.

Thoughts?

Hi and welcome

Im a bit confused. are you just trying to enable sharing? If so it need to be done in advanced sharing.

Let us know

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/36136-7-not-changing-user-permissions.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi, I have 2 XP machines using SP2, what I am trying to do is use the remote user function of perfect disk 7.0 so that I can defrag my other computer from my main computer. The computers are networked correctly, sharing works and the like. But when I try to access perfect disk on computer 2 it tells me I do not have permission to access the program, and that I need to be a member of the admin group. Could someone please explaine to me what I need to do to add computer 1 to the admin group of computer 2, or give me a link to a web page that will explaine it. Thank you

If this post is not in the right place, could a admin move it for me...thanks

A:Remote user permissions

If your running xp home you can not perform that.

Here is an explination of your error from the manufacturer of PerfectDisk

http://www.raxco.com/support/windows/kb_details.cfm?kbid=442&issue=8

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/remote-user-permissions.429876/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi, I apologise if this isn't the right place for this, but I don't see a Server 2003 topic anywhere.

We've inherited the job of IT Support of a large company (7 servers) and everything's going great except it's a nightmare finding out how things are already set up. We've been asked what folders a certain user has access to, and I'm sure there must be an easier way to find out than by looking at every folder shared on the whole network.

Is there some kind of Report function that will give me a list of his permissions across the domain? Or is there a script somewhere that will do it? I know there are commands to list permissions on a certain folder, but I've got too many folders to do that one by one..

A:List of user's permissions

You could right a basic batch file or vbscript that traverses all the directories and files and pipes it to xcacls and then pipes it to the find command to find only permissions for a certain user.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/list-of-users-permissions.747031/
Relevancy 51.6%

I need a list that will tell me all of the changes made in Windows XP from 2000.

FOR EXAMPLE:

In Windows 2000 a POWER user could use the "net use" command to capture a LPT port for a network pritner.

In Windows XP a POWER user cannot. Microsoft changed it to improve security.

Here is the knoweldge base article about it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=313644
-----------------------------------------------------

So, what else did they change? I would really like to see a simple list of some kind with this information. I have looked and looked and asked on many different forums. I have yet to find any info about this.

A:User permissions in XP vs 2000

This is a common question. Common enough for me to author a page on xp pro's permissions.

http://www.gingersnap.org/xp_user_permissions.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-permissions-in-xp-vs-2000.216556/
Relevancy 51.6%

I set up my administrator account and standard user account. Both are Live. Alienware Laptop. On the standard account, users can not even run a game (original Fable that requires disk to start up) without it asking for my password. Which is not always convenient seeing as how I work and all. How do I allow standard users to run programs but not make changes to the computer? So far I have not seen any threads about this. I've been going around in circles in control panel searching for anything that would allow me to grant permission permanently but so far I have found nothing.

A:Standard User Permissions

Hello SquishyBell, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Normally you could use the method in the tutorial below to allow a standard user to "Run as administrator" a program without getting an UAC prompt, but this does not always work with games. If you like, you could give it a try to see if it may work for you.

Elevated Program Shortcut - Create for Standard User - Windows 7 Help Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/30951-standard-user-permissions.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have been grappling with my attempts to use batch files to perform selective backup to an external hard-drive I also have been unable to backup my Quicken data file Each time I visit a folder I find in quot read-only quot Then I proceed to change it from quot Read-Only quot When I return I find it still set quot read-Only quot I also tried to modify account privileges to allow me to change 7 user Windows permissions file attributes None of this worked What can be done so I can operate as administrator with full privileges to allow me to write and or change a file folder and to keep the OS from asking me each time if I want to do something At this point if I could have purchased a pc with XP I never would have gone to Win I thought MS fixed all the annoying problems extant in Vista I still have a problem getting my other networked PC running Vista Windows 7 user permissions to be able to access the printers physically connected to my Win machine

A:Windows 7 user permissions

First, folders always have the readonly flag set. It's always been that way it's actually used to mark that te folder has or is set to be customized. XP was the same way.

BUT, are these files from a folder or drive that was from an older install of windows? OIf so then they belong to a different user. You need to "Take Ownership" of the folders to get full permissions on them for yourself. THis may help Take Ownership Shortcut

It's also possible that quicken itself is locking the file down so "users" don't accidentally delete it. Though you should be able to back it up with read only permissions anyway, so I'm not sure /exactly/ what's going on... Try looking at the advanced permissions and see what user does own the file...

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/70183-windows-7-user-permissions.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I'm having only one user a/c, administrator, i.e. myself only. However, windows ask me every time for the permission for some tasks and then allow to do it. But I don't know, why it is so? And what is the solution for the same?

A:User Accounts/Permissions

You will never be a "The Administrator", just a member of the Admin Group.

There are some commands that only the built in Administrator account can perform. Therefore at times you will be asked for permission to do this.
It has been this way since Vista and it is to protect the system from yourself.

Learn to live with it!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-accounts-permissions.1158693/
Relevancy 51.6%

hi,
i have xp pro with 4 user accounts,

1 admin(me)
and 3 limited user accounts

how can i give these limited accounts more permissions i.e cancelling print jobs and changing time without enabling them to make system wide changes or have admin powers??

thanks
michael

Relevancy 51.6%

I am doing a GCSE project using access and i am doing a restraunt booking system but due to system restraints i cannot set up user permissions to restrict access to certain pieces of my datatbase. So i was thinking is there a way to create a piece of programming code which would allow users to be taken to differnet switchboards depending on which word they type into a text box (a bit like a less complex password field) e.g if you type admin into textbox you go to the admin switchboard or if you type waiter you go to a limited switchboard.

Any advice would be great

Thanks guys im relying on you

STUART (stupiehelp)

A:Access - User permissions

I think the easiest workaround is to create welcome screen, which is shown to everyone. This should be a form with a textbox or bitmap image or anything, plus an OK button somewhere. Then you can create an onClose event to this form, which examines currentuser and opens different switchboards accodingly.

EDIT: sample code

Private Sub Form_Close()
Select Case CurrentUser
Case "admin"
DoCmd.OpenForm "FormAdmin"
Case "waiter"
DoCmd.OpenForm "FormWaiter"
End Select
End Sub

PS: CurrentUser contains the user ID, which is typed in when a user logs in to the database. If your DB is not protected, then everyone logs in as admin.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-user-permissions.491183/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hey. 

I got a new PC a while ago and i think the permissions are messed up. Sometimes i get "you don't have enough permissions to uninstall this software. contact the systems administrator" thingies, etc.

Is there any way i can "reset" permissions and then give myself all the admin rights?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/630845/windows-user-permissions/