Windows Support Forum

GP for permanently changing shared folder offline permissions?

Q: GP for permanently changing shared folder offline permissions?

Hey Guys,

I've got a problem getting offline folder permissions to stick after restarts in our domain. Here's what I do:

Go to MMC>shared folders>shares>C$ (as an example)>properties>offline settings> and then I change "only files and folders users specify..." to "All files...". Apply and done.

It works like a champ for what I'm trying to do (enable Restore Previous Versions of files to actually work- I learned that RPV fix from another thread here at seven), but after each restart the settings are restored to default. I'm assuming there's a group policy I can implement that'll auto-set those permissions permanently but I can't find any 'offline' shared folder permissions options anywhere. Thanks for any help.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: GP for permanently changing shared folder offline permissions?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: GP for permanently changing shared folder offline permissions?

Sorry, forgot to mention the environment. We're running 100% Windows 7 workstations and an SBS 2011 server.

The whole point of my question is to ultimately enable a WORKING 'restore previous versions' feature for each workstation across the domain. As far as I can see, after much testing, with the setting I'm trying to permanently enable turned on, restore points actually do back up files for RPV... and with it off, RPV is totally useless on every workstation.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/239815-gp-permanently-changing-shared-folder-offline-permissions.html
Relevancy 79.98%

I'm trying to share a folder on my server running Windows Advanced Server I can create the shared folder put permissions on it and users and what not So the default is set to everyone which is what I want I folder Shared Permissions want anybody to access this shared folder on my network My problem is when I try Permissions Shared folder to Permissions Shared folder detect the share or use it from one of my network computers it prompts me for a user name and password This wouldn't bug me so much if I Permissions Shared folder could actually log into the share with my credentials I've tried every user name and password I've ever used setting up that server including the administrator credentials and it won't let me log into my share folder I've gone through all the tutorials on how to set up shares on windows it should just let me log into the share if I leave it default to everyone I have no idea why it's even prompting me for a login or why my credentials won't work So my questions are Am I right that when I click to share a folder that the default everyone means that I should be able to access the share without credentials Is there any reason why my administrator credentials don't work to login into the share And there is only one user account on the computer and it's the administrator account So I assume if I had to login with anything it would be those credentials

A:Permissions Shared folder

I couldn't find an update button, so sorry for the double post. I guess I can login to my share with the computer administrator credentials. So my only question is, how do I make a shared folder that anyone can access on my network without credentials?

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-2000/permissions-shared-folder/65551.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Hi,

I'm looking for an answer to this problem:

Restricting access to shared network folders for specific Win7 pc's

I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction..

Many thanks,

Staffs Lebowski

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/380232-how-do-i-restrict-permissions-shared-folder-another-pc.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Please see the uploaded files for specifics of the problem. They also contains screen shots of relevant property sheets and dialogue boxes.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andynic

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/permissions-on-shared-folder-in-workgroups.976654/
Relevancy 78.26%

Hi Guys I am migrating my user's home folders nbsp from one storage server to another storage server We have offline files sync enabled nbsp and users use to work at work in offline mode and the files folders sync when they connect to the company's network I have done some testing before migrating and found an issue that need assistance from your guys I pick a test user say quot Testuser quot and logout him out from the system I folder shared new disappers files connected to when Offline have copied all home drive stuff from Sharedserever- Old to Sharedserever- New for test user and make the required changes in AD profile Offline files disappers when connected to new shared folder and GPO for drive mapping nbsp As the nbsp Testuser 's nbsp documents pointing to H-drive My Documents are available offline on nbsp Offline files disappers when connected to new shared folder laptop in Documents folder Now nbsp I have worked offline as quot tesetuser Offline files disappers when connected to new shared folder quot and created some nbsp test files but when I logged in and connected with my company's network nbsp H-drive is it correctly pointing nbsp to new Sharedserever i e Sharedserever- and Documents path also redirected to the new server location However the files created in offline mode were disappeared instead of sync with the new Sharedserever I could not figure out why and I don't know if it something with CSC - Client-Side Caching nbsp folder Any help would be appreciated Regards Sarwar Sarwar

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4bf6dc54-5066-4b5a-82b0-15fe982eac34/offline-files-disappers-when-connected-to-new-shared-folder?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 78.26%

We have a shared folder on folder issue access/permissions Shared a Server server that is somehow inaccessible from just one Windows PC When I try to access it using the UNC I get the error message - server name share name is not accessible You might not have permission to use Shared folder access/permissions issue this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions This operation is supported only when you are connected to the server The 'Everyone' group has 'Modify' permission to the folder Security and Share permissions so it's not a permissions issue If I replace the server name with the server's IP address in the UNC it works so it's not a connection issue I can connect to another share on the same server with the server name in the path so it's not a name resolution issue I can log into the PC next to the affected one with the same user account and access the share Shared folder access/permissions issue just fine I've tried reloading the DNS and NetBIOS caches I've tried removing and readding the computer to the domain Group policy is being applied successfully and the computer's account is in the same OU as the one next to it Does anyone have any advice

A:Shared folder access/permissions issue

Check the Lm Compatibility Level setting in the registry on the 7 box.

Go to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
If LmCompatibilityLevel isn't there, add it as a new Dword value
Set the value to 1
Reboot the 7 box and try again

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/221701-shared-folder-access-permissions-issue.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Thank you for looking.

I have two Windows XP Pro computers. On Computer1 there is one user called Test. On computer2 there are five users including Test. When the user Test is on the second computer I want him only to have access to all the files on Computer1. I do not want to the other users on Computer2 to have access to anything on Computer1 other than then the shared folder. How can I do this?

I know how to give share folders globally.

Thank you.

A:Giving certain users permissions on a shared folder

Use Advanced File Sharing (i.e., turn off Simple File Sharing) and give permission only to Test.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/giving-certain-users-permissions-on-a-shared-folder.755155/
Relevancy 78.26%

We have a office contacts folder that has been shared out from a local pc. A user on a different pc wants to make some category changes on this shared folder. They have This is Outlook 2010. They have Publishing Editor permissions on this folder. They go to categorize > all categories > then on the right it says new but that is greyed out. I switched their permissions to Owner and it did not change their ability to click new. Is it impossible for anyone except the creator of the folder to make the changes?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-public-contact-folder-permissions.1091587/
Relevancy 78.26%

There is a folder on a network drive that I need to audit the permissions for. I have to find the permissions for the folders and files in it as well. I have used DumpSec and AccessEnum, but the output of both is somewhat unorganized. I want something that will break down the permissions so that I could print them out to give to someone with less technical knowledge. They just need to know who has what permissions to what files. Thanks.

3ric

A:How do I audit permissions on a shared drive/folder

and your operating system is??

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/371729/how-do-i-audit-permissions-on-a-shared-drivefolder/
Relevancy 77.4%

Hello I'm having an issue sharing network to access folder trying No permissions error when shared folders between two computers both No permissions error when trying to access shared network folder running windows The computers see each other on the network and the Public folder is accessible but when I try to share a folder from another user account the folder shows up on the network but is not accessible It gives me a 'no permission to access this file contact a network administrator' error message I have set the permissions of the file to allow full read and write for everyone In advanced sharing settings in the Network and Sharing center I have file sharing on password protected sharing off I've tried both encryption settings without any effect and I've also tried turning password protected sharing on which doesn't fix the problem Homesharing does not work between these computers either They see each other but will not open any folders I am at a bit of a loss as to what to try next I've tested disabling all of my antivirus and firewalls I made sure that they were on the same workgroup If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it Thank you

A:No permissions error when trying to access shared network folder

Quote: Originally Posted by TychoPsycho

Hello, I'm having an issue sharing folders between two computers both running windows 7. The computers see each other on the network and the Public folder is accessible but when I try to share a folder from another user account the folder shows up on the network but is not accessible. It gives me a 'no permission to access this file, contact a network administrator' error message. I have set the permissions of the file to allow full read and write for everyone. In advanced sharing settings in the Network and Sharing center I have file sharing on, password protected sharing off, I've tried both encryption settings without any effect and I've also tried turning password protected sharing on which doesn't fix the problem. Homesharing does not work between these computers either, They see each other but will not open any folders. I am at a bit of a loss as to what to try next, I've tested disabling all of my antivirus and firewalls, I made sure that they were on the same workgroup. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thank you.

You might try going into the Security Tab of the folder you want to share. With the security tab open hit the "Add" button, then next window hit the "Edit" button then add "Everyone" to the access list, hit ok then apply then apply again on the security window. Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups
Alternatively, you could try setting up a Homegroup on these machines and use the Homegroup folders to share with. It's really much easier than the tutorials make it look.

Homegroup - Create
Homegroup - Add Computer or Join

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/233269-no-permissions-error-when-trying-access-shared-network-folder.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Hey everyone,

so I just noticed two of my computers are automatically sharing the entire user?s directory with all permissions for everyone, I was reading up on this a bit before and it seems it?s a Windows bug.

I was wondering, since the password protected sharing is turned on by default, would anyone have been able to gain access to my computers information if they didn't have a user account / password or would they need an account / password no matter what the permissions are set to.
Thank you.

A:Is a folder shared by permissions or is an account / password needed

By default windows has the "guest" account turned off so no, no one outside with a username/pw that was not already known by your local machine should have been able to get access.

Though I'm surprised that you found your users folder shared since I have never seen that by default. Given that, I'd check to see if your computers "guest" user is enabled or not... (hopefully not). If it was then it may have been possible for others to browse that folder...

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/206200-folder-shared-permissions-account-password-needed.html
Relevancy 77.4%

I used to use WMP s network sharing service to stream my albums to my PS I keep all my albums on a single folder which is the sole folder I share on WMP and it keeps corrupting my (shared) permissions sharing WMPnetwork folder's corrupts the folder permissions I can play the files but if I try and copy a file it says that the access is denied and a corrupt file stays in place which can not be deleted The whole folder is not deletable either this is the error dialog box I get quot Cannot delete xxxxxxx Access is denied Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use quot Last time it took me like an hour to get into safe mode and manually set the permissions for the folders but managed to fix it and I thought that was going to be the end of it but it seems that it has happened again Any ideas nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wmpnetwork-sharing-corrupts-my-shared-folders-permissions.128805/
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi, help me!

I use Windows XP Pro on laptop with offline folders. OS create cache files on system partition and fill it!!

How to change the path for Offline folder in Windows XP to other partition ??

Thanks, Janko

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-offline-folder-locarion.151468/
Relevancy 75.68%

Hey guys, I have a question for you all ...

I just remade my PC and reinstalled Windows 7 and now working on the Software.
I must of fixed this in the past, but for the life of me can't remember what I did ...

when getting into certain folders, or even trying to save certain files, I get the message basically saying ...
Not allowed, would you like to save to My Documents instead?

How do I fix this? (PS: Yes, I am Administrator)

THANK YOU in Advance

A:Changing Folder Permissions ...

Hi,

Can you tell us where do you want to save the certain files and using what program?
Another question its Windows 7 x32 or x64?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/478516/changing-folder-permissions/
Relevancy 75.68%

First of all I apologize if this Folder Permissions Changing is a rather benign question I've been doing research for a couple hours now and haven't quite figured out how to fix this problem The problem being I'm trying to transfer files from a hard drive enclosure this one to be exact onto my Windows -bit computer I only need a few specific files and I figured I could just copy them from the hard drive directly onto my computer When that didn't work I did some more research and figured out that it was a matter of folder permissions This post perfectly sums up my Changing Folder Permissions problem When I go to a file and change permissions manually I'm able to copy the file onto my computer without any problems If I don't change permissions but simply grant myself ownership about a million error messages are thrown my way the exact same problem as this post I followed the advice on the first post the one about changing folder permissions and though it worked for that person I keep getting the error message An error occurred while applying security information to G NAME OF FOLDER Access is denied My options are quot Continue quot or quot Cancel quot The pop-up shows up for every single file within that folder Now I could go to every file within a folder and change permissions manually but that might take a small eternity since I'm seeking to transfer several hundred music files onto my computer All I need to know is how to change folder permissions for every folder subfolder and file Any advice would be much appreciated And go easy on me I'm not very computer savvy

A:Changing Folder Permissions

Right click on the drive or folder to get "Properties"; ( In this case I right clicked on my G: drive )

DON'T DO THIS ON YOUR SYSTEM DRIVE!!!! and don't try to take ownership of everything either!. It will damage your system.
Regards....Mike Connor

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/155448-changing-folder-permissions.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hey guys, I have a question for you all ...

I just remade my PC and reinstalled Windows 7 and now working on the Software.
I must of fixed this in the past, but for the life of me can't remember what I did ...

when getting into certain folders, or even trying to save certain files, I get the message basically saying ...
Not allowed, would you like to save to My Documents instead?

I was in C:/Windows and was using Notepad.

How do I fix this? (PS: Yes, I am Administrator)

THANK YOU in Advance

A:Changing Folder Permissions ...

It all depends on where, what folder, you are trying to save file TO. Some folder are restricted by the OS as they are System folders and Users should not be saving things in them.

Until we know where you are trying to save to and what type of file you are saving it hard to proceed.

One thing you Do NOT want to do is take full control of the C drive. That will screw up the OS to no end.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/269228-changing-folder-permissions.html
Relevancy 75.68%

The other day I moved some files folders outside of a folder just to organize things permissions Folder by themselves? changing I tried to put them back inside and I kept getting the quot Cannot move file it s being used quot error I was pretty Folder permissions changing by themselves? sure I wasn t using any of the files so I checked the permissions to find that under the security tab inside the quot Group or user name quot was completely empty without any user names I fixed it by adding my user name This has happened before A few months ago I couldn t access any folders and files in this one particular folder without getting the quot Acess denied quot message I found out that all my files and folders within that folder had no user names under the security tab which was a pain because I have over s of files in there and the only sure way to change the permission is to do them almost one by one I was wondering if there were any particular reason why it s doing this I m pretty sure that this computer is virus free and I almost never turn off the quot Use simple file sharing quot under the folder tool section I ve only played around with the permissions once over months ago and I haven t touched it since Also is there a way to change every permission within one folder so that I won t have to do them manually one by one Thank you for your time nbsp

Relevancy 74.82%

is this possible?

I have a 4gb drive that has windows on and when i make a network file available offline, by default it is being saved to this drive. What I want is for the offline files to be saved on the 250gb hard disk I have in the computer.

thanks

A:Changing the location of the 'offline files' folder?

These two links may help you find some more info on the issue.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/..20.mspx
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;871896698;fp;2;fpid;1277378924

As far as I know there is no way to change the location of the Offline Files.
But if you find any more info do let me know.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-the-location-of-the-offline-files-folder.366842/
Relevancy 74.82%

Hello,

I am Sunil. I am new to this forum. I registered because some one in this forum could solve my problem. I had an issue. I tried to change the folder security permissions and now I couldn't see the folder at all. I gave access(Full control) to 4 users to a folder in shared drive and denied access to a group where these people resides and denied for administrator, created owner. I am not intended to do so, but i was on the phone and as i was rushing to home, I clicked ok and i couldn't see that at all. We have very importatnt information in that. Not only me, the whole group couldn't see that now. Is there a way to get that back. Only 4 users have access(including me). but we were in that group I restricted. Please show me the way.

Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 74.39%

On my desktop-computer i have shared some folders with my home network. Then i changed their paths, as i reorganized myself. Now it seems, when I acces the network, those folders paths dont seem to be updated, as i cant access them.

I can now of course "unshare", rename and share them again, which makes them again accessible through the network, but the old "folder names" still remain. why is that, how can i correct it?

Same problem with some old "synched folders".

A:shared folder and changing their paths

Curious, where do the old 'folder names' remain? Just in the drop down menu under 'Map network drive ...'?

If so those paths are saved in your registry.

Best Wishes,
R?nce

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/131034-shared-folder-changing-their-paths.html
Relevancy 73.96%

I replaced an old wired Logitech Deluxe keyboard and laser mouse combination with a repurposed GE WK wireless keyboard and optical mouse I used add remove programs I permissions folder Changing broke KB/Mouse thought to delete Logitech Setpoint nstalled the GE software and rebooted The very first thing after I logged on was the error message SetPoint has encountered a problem and can not continue Please reinstall SetPoint to correct this I verified that SetPoint was only partially deleted and tried to reinstall it but that failed I reverted to a restore point prior to the hardware change but that Changing KB/Mouse broke folder permissions did not resolve the Setpoint problem When I next opened Firefox I received this error Could not initialize the application s security component The most likely cause is problems with files in your application s profile directory Please check that this directory has no read write restrictions and your hard disk is not full or close to full It is recommended that you exit the application and fix the problem If you continue to use this session you might see incorrect application behavrious when accessing security features I get the same error message when I open Thunderbird and when I looked at the profiles they were set to read only Upon further examination every folder on all my drives is set to read only I have no idea how or why that would have happened and nothing I have tried has succeeded in correcting it I guess that explains the SetPoint problem Here is the log of the NOD scan I did immediately after the problem appeared ESET NOD Log On-demand computer scan infections cleaned PM Operating memory C Boot sector C E Boot sector E F Boot sector F G Boot sector G Completed Detected threats PM Real-time file system protection file G System Volume Information restore CE -F - C - A- D RP A exe Win RegistryBooster application deleted - quarantined NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM Event occurred on a file modified by the application C WINDOWS System svchost exe G System Volume Information restore CE -F - C - A- D RP A exe Win RegistryBooster application deleted - quarantined Event occurred on a file modified by the application C WINDOWS System svchost exe G System Volume Information restore CE -F - C - A- D RP A exe INNO file bin Win RegistryBooster application was a part of the deleted object G System Volume Information restore CE -F - C - A- D RP A exe INNO file bin Win RegistryBooster application was a part of the deleted object The Adware scan was non-eventfull only reporting some tracking cookies I can run Firefox under Sandboxie and copy and paste to Office documents which I can save in My Documents I can run IE without problems except it tends to disconnect often I cannot download anything to my download folder I cannot remove and or reinstall SetPoint I cannot use Thunderbird I finally have nowhere else to turn and am appealing to you experts for help

A:Changing KB/Mouse broke folder permissions

Minor update. I am limping forward and find that I CAN do downloads normally from IE. Firefox traps them in the sandbox.

What I miss most is being able to use Thunderbird normally although I can read incoming messages on the web.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/363299/changing-kbmouse-broke-folder-permissions/
Relevancy 73.1%

Received an 'access denied' warning, then a "Propagation of permissions may lead to instability" dialog when I tried to add another User with full permission (which happens to also be an adminstrator) to the Standard User acct. I pressed "Cancel" but the change went through anyway.

Have I hosed my Standard User acct folder?

The reason I added the User-Adminstrator permission is that it is apparently not enough to be logged in the Admin Acct and have access to edit documents in Standard User acct -- even when Administrators have full permission on the folder. At least I experienced this.

Any guidance on how to fix this if I broke it is appreciated.

A:Changing User Folder Permissions -error dialog

Hello Katbird, and welcome to Vista Forums.

If you experience any problems after doing this, then you can do a System Restore using a restore point dated before this to undo it.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/240408-changing-user-folder-permissions-error-dialog.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello all I hope this is the proper thread I wasn t sure if I should go here or security I have about computers that have recently had our billing software installed by a contract IT fellow Little did this gentleman know that there are two folders that quot users quot must be given modify rights on to be able to run the automatic update tool upon have folder permissions do not rights admin systems on login Changing that If they are not given these rights they error out upon update and then cannot use the system at all Needless to say them using the billing software is important Obviously I don t want to go through pcs and do this by hand So here Changing folder permissions upon login on systems that do not have admin rights is the situation Changing folder permissions upon login on systems that do not have admin rights - remote PCs all on a domain - All PCs have users that do not have modify rights to two specific folders c jwalkc c hmsjava - I want to find a way to unobtrusively update Changing folder permissions upon login on systems that do not have admin rights these folder permissions My first thought was to use CACLS So I created a quick line batch cacls c jwalkc t e g users c cacls c hmsjava t e g users c This worked nicely on my system which I have admin rights Not so well obviously when I tried it on an account I created in AD that had standard user rights I thought I d simply add it to their login script until I remembered that runs as the user and not as an admin Then I decided to just make a batch file and use runas but there is not a good way to have it automatically insert a password and I need to be able to do this without an additional application downloads My next thought was add it as a GPO startup script I do not have domain admin rights so sadly I could not test it as I wanted However I had one of our sys admins create a dummy OU with my dummy AD user account and add the script there The script will execute but when it gets to my command it gives quot access denied quot on both I thought running a startup script via GPO ran it as admin but I do not yet have much experience in that area so I might be wrong I am curious if GPO DOES use admin rights that perhaps I need to have it add quot domain users quot rather than quot users quot thinking perhaps it was conflicted trying to use local admin vs domain admin I ve tried various things so many that I can t really recall all the variations to place here and even dabbled in some vbs which I am not very familiar with but so far no luck I m pretty much where I started after a fair bit of effort I ve searched google a number of times and found lots of partial solutions but none that I was able to apply I could probably get it done with pstools easy enough but I wanted to try and make it more automated if at all possible Does anyone have any ideas that they might share Thanks so much nbsp

A:Changing folder permissions upon login on systems that do not have admin rights

Why not get the contractor back to fix it? His mistake so he should put it right at no extra cost surely?

Richard

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-folder-permissions-upon-login-on-systems-that-do-not-have-admin-rights.724380/
Relevancy 65.36%

hi

i have changed the domain of the computer (from say old.net to new.net).
there is a folder shared on another machine on old.net domain. the user X was able to access it. aftter changing his domain from old.net to new.net he no longer can access that shared folder.
User X has working credentials for both domains.

on accessing it it asks for credentials. upon entering his correct user name in the format (old.net\X) he is not able to access it.

i had exactly same setup with another user Y and he was able to access data .

is there anything that i am missing ?

also accessing that folder first time asked for credentials but now it doesnt asks .. why ? there is nothign in credentials manager.

regards

A:cannot access shared folder after changing domain with old domain cred

Hello,

Have you removed/re-added the User's credentials (from the PC with shared folder) with the new domain name?
Also, make sure that the shared folder has Everyone permission in the Security Tab.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/324250-cannot-access-shared-folder-after-changing-domain-old-domain-cred.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Yes that is my problem. I do not know how it happened, Microsoft in their infinite wisdom give several instructions on how to do it, have succeeded getting back on but it is not permanent continue to go off line. Reluctant to massage the registry and create more problems. I have IE6, should I download IE7....do you feel it is safe and efficient...Thank You, very much, a great, no a stupendous web site, you have an excellent reputation, keep up the good work.Forgot to say Opera and Firefox goes to internet!!
The Bobinator

A:I Am offline and can't permanently stay on IE

hello and welcome to tsf

Please provide the following info:
Version of IE (Internet Explorer)
Operating System
All your security programs (including firewall, anti-virus, anti-spayware, any extra security tools installed/used.)
What you have tried
What the problem is
Give detail explaining your problem
If you get any error message please post them
Post any screen shots if you think they would be helpful - How to post a screenshot

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/i-am-offline-and-cant-permanently-stay-on-ie-248583.html
Relevancy 64.5%

We are a small company nbsp We are running don't for shared storage cloud permissions files folders downloaded "Everyone" New shared inherit from into six windows computers nbsp Our secretary works from home the rest of us are in the same office nbsp nbsp nbsp The Admin Computer stores all of our work files within a folder called 'casework' about GB nbsp nbsp The 'casework' folder is shared on the office network nbsp This 'casework' folder is also synced by Google Drive nbsp When our secretary works on her home computer and makes a new file New files downloaded from cloud storage into shared folders don't inherit shared permissions for "Everyone" e g letterV the new file downloads to our 'casework' folder to the Admin Computer here at the office nbsp However the new file cannot been seen on our other computers over the office network The newly created files are not shared to 'everyone' unless I un-share 'casework' from the network and then share 'casework' again nbsp The problem seems to be that the new files added by Google Drive are not inheriting the permissions of the 'casework' folder New files downloaded from cloud storage into shared folders don't inherit shared permissions for "Everyone" nbsp There are New files downloaded from cloud storage into shared folders don't inherit shared permissions for "Everyone" no options to change in Google Drive nbsp Is this a Windows problem Will Windows have a fix for this Are there any work arounds Does our secretary need to work at the office Yours Hopefully Matt

A:New files downloaded from cloud storage into shared folders don't inherit shared permissions for "Everyone"

may I know how that work case folder sync with google drive?

I suggest you contact Google drive first, we have limitation information regarding this product.

You can proof that there is no issue for sharing folder within your office network
I think that's not how online share drive work, unless your secretary can join your office network trough internet
http://www.howtogeek.com/196435/how-to-share-files-and-folders-from-your-cloud-storage-folder/
this is the example, you can ask your secretary to send file trough share drive and assign 1 admin to sync and send it to your case work folder
But maybe you will be interested with Office 365
https://products.office.com/en-us/business/compare-office-365-for-business-plans

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/35d6d1aa-9bd3-4ffe-9743-174a46acea60/new-files-downloaded-from-cloud-storage-into-shared-folders-dont-inherit-shared-permissions-for?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 64.5%

... perhaps with the odd update once-a-year?
I am considering using such a computer as a portable games machine [Amiga Emulator] or as a media player/recorder.
Or is this just a pipedream?

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/windows-29/can-w-10-computer-work-permanently-offline-4603359/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello Everyone My laptop is not behaving when it comes to quot offline files quot Here is a screen capture of my challenge - Although I see the message quot Offline files is enabled but not yet active Restart this computer to activate Offline files quot restarting doesn t have any effect After doing some research I have come to the conclusion that the quot offline files amp or database quot has been corrupted Working along these lines error)! (in disabled Offline files permanently Microsoft provides a solution which involves a registry tweak http support microsoft com kb However after I followed the instructions above my laptop after a restart could not boot back into Windows Instead it provided a repair and a system restore option - an attempt to repair failed leaving me with no choice but to perform a System Offline files permanently disabled (in error)! Restore My laptop is working thankfully but there has been no improvement in quot offline quot files If anybody has any suggestions on how to fix my quot offline quot files they will be greatly appreciated Kind Regards Davo nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/offline-files-permanently-disabled-in-error.1039719/
Relevancy 63.21%

I am home user running Windows 7 professional and have mapped a network drive (Y that points to a folder on a LaCie NAS on my LAN. When the mapping was setup, the "Reconnect at Logon" option was selected.

Now I want to permanently disconnect that mapping. I have tried:

1) Disconnecting in Windows Explorer
2) NET USE /PERSISTENT:NO
3) NET USE Y: /D

The drive disconnects no problem, but when I login again, the mapping is back. How do I get rid of this mapping PERMANENTLY?

Thanks.

A:Disconnect shared drives permanently

What happens if you disconnect, then remap and clear the "reconnect at logon" check box, then disconnect?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/50799-disconnect-shared-drives-permanently.html
Relevancy 62.78%

When I try to rename a folder on the D: partition that used to be a Windows XP recovery partition that has some Pokemon commissions in it, I get this message.
"This folder is shared with other people
If you rename this folder, it will no longer be shared."

But the folder is not shared nor has it ever been.

What is going on? Why does Windows 7 think that it is shared?

A:“This folder is shared with other people” when renaming not shared folder

Hello there, 

This happens because of the way the Access Control List is queried by Windows Explorer to determine if the folder is shared. Because this folder you tried to rename is a child folder of a parent folder and the two folders have a different security entries, Windows will treat as a shared folder. This causes Explorer to give you the warning that you received. 

​Just double check, this must be a shared folder. 

Hope this helps! 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579590/this-folder-is-shared-with-other-people-when-renaming-not-shared-folder/
Relevancy 62.35%

I also notice that you recommend removing kontiki used by sky by broadband I have removed sky by broadband but kontiki is still in the hjt log file which incedently is massive sorry Also I cant remove MSN error quot patch package could not be opened quot Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on permanently and spyware offline even scans when things rebooted up pick Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C spyware scans permanently pick up things even when offline and rebooted WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C PROGRAM FILES AVPERSONAL AVGUARD EXE C Program Files Common Files AOL ACS AOLAcsd exe C Program Files AVPersonal AVWUPSRV EXE C WINDOWS system cisvc exe C Program Files KService KService exe C Program Files LogMeIn RaMaint exe C Program Files LogMeIn LogMeIn exe C PROGRA McAfee com PERSON MPFSERVICE exe C Program Files Olivetti ANY WAY olMntrService exe C WINDOWS System snmp exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C Program Files Dell Media Experience PCMService exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ACS AOLDial exe C Program Files BT Voyager ADSL Modem dslstat exe C Program Files BT Voyager ADSL Modem dslagent exe C PROGRA COMMON AOL AOLSPY AOLSP Scheduler exe C PROGRA McAfee com PERSON MpfTray exe C WINDOWS CameraFixer exe C WINDOWS tsnpstd exe C WINDOWS vsnpstd exe C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition Apps apdproxy exe C Program Files Olivetti ANY WAY olDvcStatus exe C PROGRA McAfee com PERSON MpfAgent exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files LogMeIn LogMeInSystray exe C WINDOWS kdx KHost exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files AOL a aoltray exe C WINDOWS system cidaemon exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Documents and Settings Ben Andrews Desktop hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www euro dell com countries u en default htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www google co uk R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www euro dell com countries u en default htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Tiscali O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Toolbar no name - BA B -B - c -B - F F - no file O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run PCMService quot C Program Files Dell Media Experience PCMService exe quot O - HKLM Run IntelMeM C Program Files Intel Modem Event Monitor IntelMEM exe O - HKLM Run AOLDialer C Program Files Common Files AOL ACS AOLDial exe O - HKLM Run DSLSTATEXE C Program Files BT Voyager ADSL Modem dslstat exe icon O - HKLM Run DSLAGENTEXE C Program Files BT Voyager ADSL Modem dslagent exe O - HKLM Run FP Friendly fts exe quot C Program Files VoyagerTest fts exe quot O - HKLM Run AOL Spyware Protection quot C PROGRA COMMON AOL AOLSPY AOLSP Scheduler exe quot O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run MPFExe C PROGRA McAfee com PERSON MpfTray exe O - HKLM Run PinnacleDriverCheck C WINDOWS system PSDrvCheck exe O - HKLM Run CameraFixer C WINDOWS CameraFixer exe O - HKLM Run tsnpstd C WINDOWS tsnpstd exe O - HKLM Run snpstd C WINDOWS vsnpstd exe O - H... Read more

A:spyware scans permanently pick up things even when offline and rebooted

hi all,

I have been making changes so I thought it best to post a new log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 14:19:21, on 05/12/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
C:\Program Files\Olivetti\ANY_WAY\olMntrService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\vsnpstd3.exe
C:\Program Files\Olivetti\ANY_WAY\olDvcStatus.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\LogMeInSystray.exe
C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\AOL 9.0a\aoltray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Ben Andrews\Desktop\hijackthis[1]\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.euro.dell.com/countries/u...en/default.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.euro.dell.com/countries/u...en/default.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Tiscali 10.0
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelMeM] C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLDialer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOL Spyware Protection] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PinnacleDriverCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSDrvCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tsnpstd3] C:\WINDOWS\tsnpstd3.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [snpstd3] C:\WINDOWS\vsnpstd3.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.0\Apps\apdproxy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OlStatusMon] "C:\Program Files\Olivetti\ANY_WAY\olDvcStatus.exe" dvcStatusMinimize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogMeIn GUI] "C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\LogMeInSystray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reade... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/spyware-scans-permanently-pick-up-things-even-when-offline-and-rebooted-128857.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I recently put a new force Problem Permissions - inherited permissions Cannot Folder new hard drive in my HP dv laptop to increase the onboard storage Before changing out the existing hard drive I backed up all my personal files on an external hard drive One of the folders though for some reason appears Folder Permissions Problem - Cannot force new inherited permissions to have quot randomly quot restricted the permissions of an entire folder along with its subfolders and individual files to the admin user of the previous Win installation This is a folder with multiple subfolders and files photo backup folder Windows will allow me to take control of the folder with the current admin user but it's only one folder at a time When I attempt to force new permissions for access down the folder structure I get an error message telling me my access to the subfolders and files is denied Is there some other way to force these permissions down the tree or should I put the old hard drive back in and attempt to fix the problem from the old instance of Windows Any assistance is appreciated

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/folder-permissions-problem-cannot-force-new-inherited-permissions-623633.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello everyone,

I'm using a laptop (with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit installed) as a DVR and media streamer to all other devices in the house.
My TV recordings are recorded into a temporary folder and when the recording is finished the program moves the files into the My Videos folder.

The My Videos folder is shared so we can watch the recordings from the Xbox downstairs or other Windows 7 devices in the house.
This worked pretty well in the past but for some reason new recordings (or downloads) aren't shared by default anymore. All files have a small lock icon (shared with nobody) and I have to manually share new files within an already shared folder.

This is pretty annoying and takes away the convenience.

I would appreciate any tip to fix this problem to have all files in the shared folder(s) shared by default.

Thanks in advance!

A:New files aren't shared in shared folder

It's easy once you know how, just right click the C:/Video's folder and choose properties, Security tab then Advanced button, then just put a check mark where it says "Replace all Child Object Permission Entries with Inheritable Permissions Entries from this Object, then hit Apply, OK....this will fix the problem you described.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/256702-new-files-arent-shared-shared-folder.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello,

I have a 2 computers connected using a Cisco router and ethernet cables. one of them has a printer connected via USB and this printer is sharerd. Both of them running Win 7 Professional 32-bit OS. I can connect to the shared printer from the 2nd machine, but after a restart, the same printer appears offline.
I have to go to My Network Places, click on the 1st PC's icon and then right-click the printer and click Connect. This re-establishes the connection.
Though this method serves my purpose, I want to get to the bottom of this. Why does the printer show offline each time I restart?
Thanks!

Update #1

Printer ic onnected via USB. Tried setting the PCs to high performance in Power Options, just in case the USB was going into sleep mode.

A:Shared Printer Offline after restart

Hello,

Have you tried uninstalling the printer driver then install the new printer driver (downloaded from the Manufacturer's site)?

Another great option - if your router has a USB port you may utilize it for printer sharing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/223197-shared-printer-offline-after-restart.html
Relevancy 59.34%

How do I change cursors permanently? Do I have to create a theme? John

A:Changing cursors permanently

You Adan download packs from the Internet.

I just download a red cursor them and it makes it much more easier for me to see.

Tucows Download - Download Red 3D Cursor Pack

Try here, but there are many other color choices, it you just type in the color followed by cursors in any search engine.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/46397-changing-cursors-permanently.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I have a wireless network with five computers on it (4 PC, 1 Mac). One of the computers is used by a part-time intern, and I don't want them to have access to the shared directories and drives on the network. How do I change the permissions to keep that one computer out of the shared stuff?

A:Shared drive permissions

OS's being used?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-drive-permissions.501177/
Relevancy 58.91%

I have multiple computers running Windows 7, 10 and Linux on my network.I would like one computer (Windows 7 for now, but may upgrade to 10) to access a share on another computer (same OS situation). I don't want the other computers to see the folder.Can I map a network drive or something?Old stuff that still works, somewhat....

A:how to set up permissions on a shared file

As I understand you can only share folders.Copy of create a shortcut of the files you want to share in "Public folder".Permission can be set on the shared folders as well as users who can access it.http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ph/...

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-7/how-to-set-up-permissions-on-a-shared-file/19269.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi,

Does any1 know how to copy the shared permissions and ntfs permissions on shared folders? I want to copy all of my shared folders to a new server and as you know you loose all the shared settings when you do this. I have used Robocopy, permcopy and scopy but they do not work!!!!!!

Any other software out there??????????????????

Thanks,

Ayaz

A:????????Help???? Need to copy SHARED PERMISSIONS????

Have you tried to migrate the users folders in order to preserve permissions. See USMT:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...621f-4537-b311-1307df0105611033.mspx?mfr=true

Oh, and lay off the ? key will ya

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-need-to-copy-shared-permissions.733480/
Relevancy 58.91%

I have a bunch of people on my network, and some shared folders.

I want to prevent certain users from making changes to the folders, but I want to be able to make changes from wireless connection.

So, how can I make it so I can make changes wirelessly but others cannot?

Basically right now, my permissions are set for

Everyone read/write
Guest read/write

But when I try to add a "network path to share with" like specific stations IE;
\\Computername\Windowsname

It doesn't work.

Can anyone advise on how I can prevent certain wireless users from modifying shared directories while granting others the ability? Specifically, certain wireless stations?

Any additional information would be invaluable.

-Sandra

Relevancy 58.91%

Hi,
I have 2 PC’s running windows 7 ultimate in my office and both are connected to my Internet router through Ethernet Cable. PC-1 is directly Connected to Printer. I used to print out from both PC’s in past, now our office is moved to a new location and I have done the setup again. But now I am unable to print out from PC-2.  In (Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers) PC-1 shows Printer online but PC-2 Shows Printer offline. I don’t know what to do. Help me out please. (English is not my native language I hope you can understand my issue).
 STATUS-2.jpg   113.08KB
  0 downloads
 status-1.png   140.13KB
  0 downloads

A:HP Printer Status Offline On shared Computer

Possibly worth reading:

http://www.sysprobs.com/how-to-make-printer-online-in-windows-7-from-offline-printer

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/my-printer-says-it-is-offline-and-i-would-like-to/ed4b1f9c-132e-4cda-956f-31b571bb63a4?auth=1

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/619988/hp-printer-status-offline-on-shared-computer/
Relevancy 58.91%

I had a setup of a 40gig with windows and drivers on it and a 160 gig with all my games on it. And I posted about a year ago now on some other forums about changing the default install path from C:\ to D:\. Which I have done before,but since I formatted I have forgotten how and now everything tries to install to my C:\ and I have to change the path manually. Which is fine until I come across a game that won't let me pick the install path... I know its in the regedit somewhere. any help on where to change the path would be great ... thx alot

A:Permanently changing install path

Could this be what you had in mind http://www.theeldergeek.com/specify_...tion_files.htm.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/permanently-changing-install-path-101459.html
Relevancy 58.91%

We need to change the date but when we do it always reverts back to the correct date in a few minutes. How do we change the year (to anything other than the current year) and have it permanently stay there, without updating to the current year?

Relevancy 58.48%

I have three computers in a small office One computer is directly connected to an HP OfficeJet G series all-in-one The printer permissions printer a Solved: shared on is set up as a shared printer I logged on to each of the other computers as administrator and installed the printer printed a test page and it worked However as I understand it shared printers have to Solved: permissions on a shared printer be installed by each individual log-on to the same machine So I logged onto each computer under the name of the user log-on we are a small library and this is our literacy office and installed the printer I had no problems installing Solved: permissions on a shared printer the printer I clicked on the option to browse for a printer and after a long wait typical the options finally came up and I was able to see and choose the printer I wanted in the list However when I try to print a test page it just comes up in the printer window with a status of quot deleting-printing quot and nothing prints I know the computers and the printer can see each other over the network because if I go to the printer window on the computer that is physically connected I can see the quot deleted-printing quot status And I can print if I am logged on as administrator so I surmise there must be a permissions problem However I am not finding it I went to the printer properties and all I can check under sharing is share or do not share Shared is chosen I went into the securities tab and gave the specific log-ons permissions and finally I went back and gave quot creator-owner quot full permissions and finally I just went ahead and gave quot everyone quot full security permissions and I still cannot print under specific log-ons These computers are covered by a security policy in active directory but I put them both in quot safe haven quot and tested them and the printing still did not work Any insight would be greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-permissions-on-a-shared-printer.490834/
Relevancy 58.48%

I was currios if anyone knows a way to setup a user so they can only log into shared folders on a computer from a second computer but not let them use the login on the computer with the shares. If that makes any sense.... Both computers are using XP SP2 and the computer with the shared folders has simple file sharing disabled.

A:XP User Permissions for shared folders

Set up the folders on thier PC as a network drive and have the PC remember the password (assuming XP Pro); that way they do not have to know the user ID or password. Just make sure that ID and password is in the folder permissions

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-user-permissions-for-shared-folders-93337.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I have a win7 Pro server and 2 win7 Pro laptops and and from the laptops can reach all the the shared folders on our server except the server itself (C:). The C: is shared with permissions are set on server, and the workgroup has the same name.

A:Cannot access shared C: with permissions on server

If you really need to access the entire drive I would investigate the built-in admin shares with the $ after the drive, as in C$ D$ etc..

In XP and earlier I had no trouble sharing drives. In Vista and later it was a hassle. I had a docking station I used with internal HDs. Sharing the whole drive was such a pita that I made a folder at the root of the drive, moved the entire folder structure into it, then shared that folder. Things were much easier. Of course the system partition cannot be treated the same way. See what you can find on built in admin shares with the dollar symbol after the name.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/397397-cannot-access-shared-c-permissions-server.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I am still having issues getting offline files to work correctly I have a notebook running Windows Pro that syncs with a options available dissapeared option in tab offline" "Always folder and Offline Files desktop also running Win Pro After a clean install due to the many issues I've had dealing with Offline Files before I just synced folder to see if it would work And it did Windows synced the folder and it was made available offline I could easily make folders available offline by simply right-clicking "Always available offline" option and Offline Files tab dissapeared in folder options on a folder and clicking the option quot Always available offline quot I was also able to successfully sync my Documents Desktop and Favorites folders using folder redirection Oddly when I tried to make a new folder available offline a few weeks later the option is gone for any other folders new or previously existing And when I right-click on a folder or file and choose Properties the "Always available offline" option and Offline Files tab dissapeared in folder options Offline Files tab no longer shows as well I have a fairly simple home network setup My notebook computer syncs with a desktop PC also running Windows Professional I call this the quot Server quot PC Nothing has changed network-wise or configuration wise on either PC I haven't messed with any network settings or played around with offline files settings since the last successful sync No new networking hardware has been added either Screenshots below screenshot See the three folders below with the green sync icon over them But notice how the quot Always available offline quot option is missing from the menu when I right-click on any folder screenshot below If I right-click on one of those quot original quot folders and go to Properties notice how the Offline Files tab is visible However I can no longer uncheck this folder from being available offline If I uncheck the quot Always available offline quot check box Apply then hit OK nothing happens And when I go back into the Properties for that folder the check box is checked again It's like it doesn't even save my settings Oh and another strange issue while I'm here The quot Media quot folder shown below doesn't actually sync It shows that it's marked to be available offline but as soon as I disconnect from the network it's not available But the other folders DO sync regularly Only the Media folder doesn't sync at all the media folder just has a few video files less than MB screenshot below Here is screen shot of me trying to make the quot ClientData quot folder available offline but the quot Always available offline quot options does not appear when I right-click on it Any ideas as to what would cause this and or how to fix Keep in mind that I disabled and re-enabled offline files increased the space reserved for offline files played with the group policy settings trying to force the folder to sync and then I reformatted the database all to no avail Thanks in advance

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6285c814-837c-4798-838f-e2ba00dec5fe/quotalways-available-offlinequot-option-and-offline-files-tab-dissapeared-in-folder-options?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 58.05%

Hey guys I am working on a little script to add printers and papercut together On my testing of this I found an issue which is not giving me accurate testing results as the issue is even happening without the script involved at all For non bound to domain machines so personal machines that visitors bring in reboot after Printer laptop/desktop Offline Shared of they need to print So on my testing with my own personal machine Shared Printer Offline after reboot of laptop/desktop and a non bound desktop machine I add the printer through windows explorer printerserver ThePrinter login with domain crediantials Prints fine with papercut pop up box and I get my job When I restart the machine however the printer is always offline and I cannot print I get the following errors at different times at testing Printer cannot be display Print Spooler not running when it is RPC server not available Other times it tries to print but no papercut box comes up and does not authenticate my print job Remember this is happening on different Shared Printer Offline after reboot of laptop/desktop machines that I tested it with and without the script involved Mind you Ive tested these on freshly installed windows machines so maybe I need some windows updates but I have tried win and

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c57cc8f4-7263-4cfd-a79a-83e163175d34/shared-printer-offline-after-reboot-of-laptopdesktop?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi Guys

I know this is not going to be popular, but I want UK-English.

I am in Australia, so setting the international formats does not work for us as we have $ dollars and metric.

Every day I open up a new word document (WORD 2010), I have to set the proofing language back to UK-English as default. But Word keeps defaulting it back to US-English.

Can anyone give me the permanent fix. Sorry to all the Americans and Australians, but I want UK-English.

A:Permanently changing default language to English UK

What is your keyboard set to?

BTW this is not related but why if you are in Australia does this Profile show the US Tme Zone?

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/289435-permanently-changing-default-language-english-uk.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi all,

I have run into a problem where one guy is sharing his outlook 2003 calendar with his secretary, suddenly he is not able to open or edit anything in the calendar, but the secretary is able to do everything! He is only able to see an overview of calendar (month, week, day) with the titles only but unable to open, edit, move or delete an item in specific. I checked the permissions and it has 2 options

Default: Owner
"secretary name" Edit

I even checked the secretary's calendar but couldn't figure out something she might have done to cause this to happen.

What could possibly cause that to happen?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-outlook-calendar-lost-permissions.603427/
Relevancy 57.62%

Im trying to share a harddrive connected to my computer over a router, and the drive + files can be seen on other computers (all are Windows 7), but nothing can be done with the files. I tried both the batch program found here and using the "Create a Shared Folder Wizard". The permissions for both were full for everyone, and yet no one else can access the files. How can I make it so that everyone can at least execute and copy the files?

A:Shared file permissions not working properly

When you say everyone has full control, i assume this is the share permissions.
You also need to look at the 'Security' permissions for those users too (right click the folder >> Properties >> Security tab)

There is 1 other thing to consider, the same username / password needs to be on all computers.
Example:

Computer 1 has username jamie
Computer 2 has username sally
Computer 3 has username dave

computer 1 has the shared hard drive attached --

you will need to create the user names sally and dave on computer 1 with the same password as they have on computer 2 and 3.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
JDobbsy1987

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/255847-shared-file-permissions-not-working-properly.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hey everyone I use both Linux Ubuntu -AMD and Windows professional and sometimes I get a little boggled at the apparent lack of functionality in W in the following situation I have a network share in the root of my drive that I've called quot DropBox quot where my boss and I can both put files to be shared via the network I have a bunch of files in quot Downloads quot directory that non-shared Shared folder. Shortcut to I'd like to Shared Shortcut to non-shared folder. be able to share at various times but would rather not have my downloads directory directly shared as it violates my sense of order IE I would much rather have one shared folder from which you can reach all the other content I need to share on the drive and if I need to un-share something simply delete the shortcut and Voila instant anti-sharing Figure Clean Sharing In Ubuntu you can create a symlink within a shared folder that points to a non shared folder which allows network users to access that Shared Shortcut to non-shared folder. non-shared folder Does this functionality exist in W Thanks NYTCG

A:Shared Shortcut to non-shared folder.

Okay, so I solved this issue on my own =) TGFG! The answer lies in the MKLink command.

Specifically: mklink /D /J Downloads "C:\Users\Robert\Downloads\"

Works like a charm. All networked machines have access to my non-shared directory through the shared folder, and it looks nice and clean on the viewers end.

Thanks for letting me rubber duck this one.
NYTCG

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/106765-shared-shortcut-non-shared-folder.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Changing folder icons to show open or closed and changing default folder icons like "Favorites".

Here we go again.

I have recentely learned how to change a folder icon manually in Windows Explorer, and now would like to be able to manually change the folder so it shows the folder open and shows the folder closed.

I would also like to know how to change default folder like "Favorites" and "Control Panel"

A:Changing folder icons to show open or closed and changing default folder icons.....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-folder-icons-to-show-open-or-closed-and-changing-default-folder-icons.106873/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi All,

My users are on Outlook 2007 and we connect to an exchange server (2003). The problem we are having is that previously shared calendars are suddenly becoming unavailable. The message that pops up is:

'The set of folders cannot be opened.'

A more detailed message suggests the following:

'This error usually occurs if the OST or PST file you are using is:
> Unavailable
> Protected with file permissions.
> On a share on a server and the network is down.
> Corrupt

To correct this problem, store the OST or PST file on the local computer.

You may also want to run the scanost.exe and scanpst.exe tools to verify file integrity.'

I have tried scanning them and they are fine. When I look at the permissions they are gone. When the user re-shares the calendar it is ok again but often looses the permission after a re-boot (but not always).

Any ideas welcome...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2007-losing-shared-calendar-permissions.590850/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi, I created a shared folder on my network, but I do not wish to share it to every user on my network. How would I designate which users have access to it?

Thanks

A:Networking: Setting Access Permissions For Shared Folders

In the Shared Properties set a Password. That is the easiest way.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/46189/networking-setting-access-permissions-for-shared-folders/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hello So I have just been setting from permissions comp single a different a to I Can user grant shared up my new rig and for several reasons I was wanting to allow my desktop complete access to my laptop However I live in a very friendly household Can I grant shared permissions to a single user from a different comp and my computer is in the main area I allow other people to use the guest account on it all the time but keep my own account with a password We also have many other computers on Can I grant shared permissions to a single user from a different comp the same homegroup I was wanting to allow just my account on my desktop complete access to some or prefferably all files on my laptop I Can I grant shared permissions to a single user from a different comp tried going Local Disk C Properties gt gt Sharing tab gt gt Advanced Sharing button gt gt 'Share this folder' checkbox gt gt Permissions button gt gt Add button However when i had entered this I could not get my laptop to access any other locations that itself It was there that I got stuck Is it possible to do what I am trying to do Cheers David

A:Can I grant shared permissions to a single user from a different comp

Hello DGEccles,
Welcome to SevenForums. What you are trying to do is possible. What you have to do is pick a folder (or directory) that you want to share. In your case, this would be the C:\ drive. However, sharing your C:\ drive across the network, is very risky for many reasons. So I would not recommend this. So, lets get started. First, on your laptop, what you need to do is pick a folder you want to share. This can be your documents folder, another folder, or the C:\ drive. Next, right click the folder you want to share and click PROPERTIES. Next, navigate to the sharing tab and click on advanced sharing. Check the box that says "Share this folder". Next, click on permissions and MAKE SURE THAT YOUR ACCOUNT ON THE LAPTOP HAS FULL PERMISSION. After this, you want to click Apply and close out of all dialog boxes. Now, we move to your desktop. On your desktop, open up Windows Explorer. Navigate to Network on the left-hand side. After that click on your laptop's icon. After that a window will open asking you for credentials. INPUT THE CREDENTIALS THAT YOU SET TO HAVE FULL PERMISSION ON THE LAPTOP. After that you should see all the shared folders on the laptop including the one that you set up.

I hope this helps. (Sorry if this isn't clear I typed this fast so if you need me to re-explain it I will)

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/235249-can-i-grant-shared-permissions-single-user-different-comp.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I have set up Calendar Sharing in Outlook so I can view everyone's calendars. I am having a problem with viewing a particular users calendar as it keeps telling me that I do not have permission. The end user has given me permission but their meetings only show up as 'busy'.
The same steps used for other calendars don't seem to work on this calendar.

Using O365 exchange

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-o365-shared-user-calendar-permissions-issue.1164077/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello there I ve been using this office computer for more than years ago It and yahoo!folder from Solved: viruses microsoft shared folder has win second edition And it s slow so what I think was it has viruses so I uninstalled the old antivirus think it was mcafee and added AVG free edition My problem is that everyday it always finds new viruses in my pc and I always had to move them to the virus vault heal wasn t available It s look always like this in the same folders other are from other places on the pc C Program files common files microsoft shared paris hilton porno pics archive xxx exe C Solved: viruses from microsoft shared folder and yahoo!folder Program files common files yahoo shared anna benson sex video exe I also tried Panda online active scan Need help on what to do I ll post the active scan log and hjt as i saw in other posts regarding viruses Incident Status Location Adware Adware Gator Not disinfected C WINDOWS Downloaded Program Files HDPlugin dll Potentially unwanted tool Application ErrorSafe Not disinfected C WINDOWS Solved: viruses from microsoft shared folder and yahoo!folder Downloaded Program Files UWFX N M NetInstaller exe Spyware Cookie Belnk Not disinfected C WINDOWS Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Gator Not disinfected C WINDOWS Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Belnk Not disinfected C WINDOWS Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Belnk Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Overture Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Apmebf Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Belnk Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Belnk Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Adserver Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Serving-sys Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Gator Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie RealMedia Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Bluestreak Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Adserver Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Cassava Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Overture Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Belnk Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie o Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Bs serving-sys Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie onestat com Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Tribalfusion Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Belnk Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Reliablestats Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Tickle Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie YieldManager Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Azjmp Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie ErrorSafe Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Rn Not disinfected C WINDOWS Profiles rachelle Cookies email protected txt Spyware Cookie Statcounter Not disinfected C... Read more

Relevancy 56.33%

I share files on my home network between my desktop PC and my laptop. I often move files between the two computers by placing folders on the desktops and then working with them or moving them to specific folders. The network for my laptop lists its desktop folder, but for the desktop PC, the topline \Users root folder is listed, not the desktop. Network and sharing work just fine. But how do I list the shared PC desktop folder so that I don?t have to drill down through the \Users file structure to reach the desktop folder?

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/58058-list-specific-shared-folder-network-not-root-folder.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I can't seem to predict when XP Pro SP2 will let me move a folder from SharedDocs\My Videos
to C:\ and when it won't! I don't get it. If I'm Owner don't I own it already?

Sometimes I can just grab the folder that I copied from another machine and placed in My Videos and just
drag it with the Left Mouse Button into another folder on C:\ and it just moves it by changing the directory entries. Then sometimes when I do that, it copies all the files!! Well with video files that's pretty slow!!

Anyone have a clue? Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

A:Move Folder Out Of Shared Folder Same Drive Wants To Copy?

Hello MilesAhead,I'm not absolutely sure, but some of the phrases in your problem description seem to indicate that this might be a variation of the "XP + mouse movement + mouse buttons + keyboard keystrokes" behavior described in the following post. The post deals with the unexpected copying of files when trying to delete them, but I thought the same (or a similar) principle might apply with respect to moving files/folders. "Multiple Deleting Of Files Doesn't Work.":http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=647552

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/171639/move-folder-out-of-shared-folder-same-drive-wants-to-copy/
Relevancy 55.04%

hey..! can anyone please tell me that how to change permissions in windows drive.. i have to delete my old windows..! it says to ask permission from admin..??

A:Changing permissions..

Hi Ishaqkhan,

Please follow this guide:

Quote:
Changing Ownership

First, lets talk about ownership. To change ownership, right-click any file or folder, select Properties, and go to Security tab. Now click the Advanced button(shown in the screenshot below).

Next, you need to go to Owner tab and hit the Edit button. Then in the new dialog window choose the new owner and then click OK.

Changing Permission

If you are an administrator and cannot access a folder, this is due to permission error. To give complete permission to yourself, right-click the file or folder and select Properties. Now go to Security tab, and hit the Edit button.
Here select your username(account) and check the Full Control checkbox. When done, hit OK. Note that when you will check the Full Control checkbox, all others will be automatically checked too.

Cheers
Boris

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/387849-changing-permissions.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Ok so the user account control thing is pretty ridiculous and wouldn't even let me change files in my program files folder and I am the only user on this comp so I am the admin. I had to turn off UAC to get access but I want to be able to have full access to my files but keep UAC on. Is there any way to turn UAC on and still have the ability to change files in my folders? I turned if off and tried to go into the permissions and give my username full access but it still wouldn't let me do it.

A:Changing UAC permissions

Hi -

The \program files folder is virtualizable and should be left alone. Make up a 2nd folder. Vista likes to play hide and seek -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387

If x64 it gets even more interesting.

Activate the Vista hidden admin account - it has 2 user tokens like the admin accounts in XP. Vista regular admin accts have 1 token; the UAC kicking in gets the 2nd to allow business to continue.

Keep in mind that if you use only the hidden admin account, Windows Updates will not install certain security updates. A 1 token admin account has to be logged on from time-to-time. Also, if you set a password for this account and forget it, lose it, etc... re-install of Vista next b/c you will be locked out of your system. You do need both accounts - so don't delete either one.

Do this to activate hidden admin --

START | type cmd.exe into the start search box | right-click on cmd.exe above under programs - select run as admin. Then type

Code:

net user administrator /active:yes

Logoff your account and the user account named Administrator will be waiting for you at the logon screen. 2x-click on it.

You can re-run that command at any time - change the 'yes' to 'no' to put the admin account back to sleep.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/changing-uac-permissions-365684.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I've got a really strange one and I hope someone can help me. I've noticed that some folders (most, actually) in my C: and D: drives (both internal hard drives) have lock icons appearing on them. Looking at their Properties -> Security tab, there are no permissions set for any of them.

I'll bet I unwittingly ran a malicious program at some point which has caused this problem. At the same time, my internet connection has become quite spotty, and I'm sure the two symptoms are linked somehow.

My PC is a custom-built system with some high-end parts I just bought in February: Intel i7-920, Dominator 6GB DDR3, ATI HD5870, 80GB SSD & 1.5TB HDD, etc. The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Let me know if you need any further details and I'll gladly post them.

A:Permissions changing on their own

Hello, We need a deeper look. Please go here....Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.Gmer won't run on 64 bit so skip it and move on.Let me know if that went well.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/312122/permissions-changing-on-their-own/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have 2 computers on a peer-to-peer network that use offline folders. I had to change the network-id on both computers and I had to change the name of the computer that the files are sync'd to.
So now when the computer trys to sync, it's trying to sync to the wrong computer name. (has the wrong path now). It use to sync to '\\PC-A\folder\'. But now the PC name is PC-B. So how do I change it to look for '\\PC-B\folder\' instead of '\\PC-A\folder\'

How can I fix this? Do I have to redo the whole process? Or is there a way to just go in and change the computer name in the path so it connects to the right location.

There are allot of files involved. I would hate to have to set it up all over again as it would be a big and long process.
Thanks for any help!
Ken

A:Help changing offline file synch'ing

Closed triplicate, please reply here:

http://forums.techguy.org/t134156/s96102558f9e191b64a09354c32f13d41.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-changing-offline-file-synching.134154/
Relevancy 54.61%

Since i did a fresh reinstall of Win 8 64 i have never been able to change the folder view options. Example; I am in a windows explorer window, everything is displayed as a large icon (yuk), i right click go to view and change to details. I then click 'view' on the toolbar and click options, I then navigate to the 'View' tab whereby my intention is to apply the 'detailed' view to all explorer windows in future yet both fields are greyed out (the 'Apply to Folders' and 'Rest Folders').
It has never been usable since this fresh install (ie on previous versions of win 8 installs i recall it working, but not this one, ie its not a recent problem, has always been like this).

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Bruce

A:Folder Options Greyed Out Permanently

Hello Bruce,

Those options will be grayed out unless you opened Folder Options from within that folder and not from any other location.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9751-folder-view-apply-folders-same-template-windows-8-a.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/16739-folder-options-greyed-out-permanently.html
Relevancy 54.61%

hello, I downloaded a movie from the internet (ext.avi). However when i try to delete it, a message comes up saying that the file is being used by another progam and cannot be deleted. I checked on the internet and found a solution to this issue - by deleting a file form the windows register. It worked...for a while. Now whenever I restart my pc, the folder(empty) keeps appearing on my desktop. How do i get rid of it permanently?

A:deleting a ghost folder permanently

KillBox.

Use with Caution...

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/211462-deleting-ghost-folder-permanently.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I recently made a folder to share with an XP machine. When I look at the network through my seven machine I see the folder I shared and the USERS folder shared as well. Why is that?

I have the network setup at a home network. 7100 32 bit.

A:Why is the User folder shared when you share a folder?

I believe vista did this as well. So Windows 7 doesnt' work any differently from Vista in this regards.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/8819-why-user-folder-shared-when-you-share-folder.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi, I'm trying to open My Pictures on my wife's laptop but I get this error message Your folder can't be shared. This also happens to other folders on the laptop. I've tried to change Security Settings but it usually leads me to an endless layer of pop ups which finally ends with me being unable to change the setting. This is my wife's private home laptop and you can just imagine how important it is to be able to view pictures and videos of our grandchildren. I just need to relax the high security settings and make this work. Any help at all would be so appreciated.

Thank you,
Gerald

A:Windows 8.1 My Pictures Folder your folder can't be shared

Maybe take ownership of the folder---

Take Ownership - Add to Context Menu in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/56776-windows-8-1-my-pictures-folder-your-folder-cant-shared.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi guys,
I have a shared folder which contains many folders for many users on
my network and to make users folders recognisable we chose to fix a
folder picture of every folder with the picture of the folder owner.
The problem is that those folders never have a constant folder picture
on all of my network computers as the picture always changes for some
reason, I've tried to set permissions on thumb.db file and also tried
fiddling with desktop.ini file but no use. Any ideas would be much
appreciated. Thanks.

Relevancy 54.61%

Hi,
I wanted to see if there was a permission that I could change (or some other workaround) to restrict an administrative account from being able to change the account type of other users on the same computer? Is there a permission I can set or some other workaround to make this possible? P.S. Can't use local group policy editor because I use Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)

A:Changing Administrative permissions

Trying to limit what another admin can do is an exercise in futility. Any and all attempts to do so will fail. By design all admins are equal. Any restriction you might impose another admin can reverse. Any permissions you set can be changed by another admin. All of this, and much more, is by design.

Any problems you are having with other admins you must work out by setting policies known to all concerned.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/312416-changing-administrative-permissions.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I've been trying to allow various programs access to my other HDDs/Partitions and every time I change the settings and click OK windows immediately forgets the changes.

I've tried r-clicking a HDD -> Properties -> Security and changing from "Everyone" to "Administrators(**-PC\Administrators)". When I do this all the little check boxes below switch to Allow like they should. Apply never becomes lit so I can only click OK or Cancel. I click OK thinking my file permissions are now changed but I still do not have permission. When I repeat the process to make sure windows accepted my changes I see it hasn't and goes back to only having the 3 below checked:

Read & Execute
List folder contents
Read
I've tried this with individual folders on a given HDD too to no avail.
Restarting the computer after making changes does nothing.

Thoughts?

A:7 Not Changing User Permissions

Quote: Originally Posted by nellofalltrades

I've been trying to allow various programs access to my other HDDs/Partitions and every time I change the settings and click OK windows immediately forgets the changes.

I've tried r-clicking a HDD -> Properties -> Security and changing from "Everyone" to "Administrators(**-PC\Administrators)". When I do this all the little check boxes below switch to Allow like they should. Apply never becomes lit so I can only click OK or Cancel. I click OK thinking my file permissions are now changed but I still do not have permission. When I repeat the process to make sure windows accepted my changes I see it hasn't and goes back to only having the 3 below checked:

Read & Execute
List folder contents
Read
I've tried this with individual folders on a given HDD too to no avail.
Restarting the computer after making changes does nothing.

Thoughts?

Hi and welcome

Im a bit confused. are you just trying to enable sharing? If so it need to be done in advanced sharing.

Let us know

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/36136-7-not-changing-user-permissions.html
Relevancy 54.61%

We have a user that went to grant someone access to a folder on the network. They did this from there desktop, not the server, and now no one can access the folder. Not even an administrator login. I'm assuming they got the warning about changing permissions remotley, but he swears he didn't see anything like that. Now we have a couple of users that have icons that don't work because they're coming from that folder. Is there any way to change those permissions back? I know the permissions default to something, but I'm not sure what it is. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Relevancy 54.61%

Hi,

I work in an office with a small network (1 PDC/File Server, a proxy server, and about 20 workstations). All of my clients store their files on a drive on the server. The problem I'm experiencing is that for some unknown reason, permissions are changing on individual files. Basically, all of the files are set like this:

GROUP: Everyone
ACCESS: Full Control

Now, I've discovered that certain files have changed to:

GROUP: Administrators; System
ACCESS: Full Control

I have not changed any of these permissions myself, and none of the clients here have access to the server. It seems to only have affected Excel files so far. In some cases, I can simply change permissions back to normal, but sometimes, the files become corrupted and I have to restore from a backup.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

P.S- The server OS is WinNT Server 4.0, SP 6a

A:Permissions changing mysteriously

I would check for virus. And why do you have a server if no one has access?
Good Luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/permissions-changing-mysteriously.58330/
Relevancy 54.61%

I have a -bit Win VAIO There are user accounts in addition to the usual - mine an administrator and a generic user account with fewer privileges I noticed that the standard user account was still able to access folders that I didn't want it to so I went about trying to revoke those permissions I must have gone too far though and now I'm in a up everything messed Changing permissions has bind I changed permissions for Users Everyone and the other user account to Deny full control on my C Users lt user gt folder and its subfolders Unfortunately it seems that this also removed those permissions for me as admin I tried resetting the permissions but this does not seem to have worked So because I had a restore point from days ago I thought restoring would fix it but it has not I'm having all sorts of problems because of this now Most software will not open correctly probably trying to access something in AppData and I have no idea what steps to take now Changing permissions has messed up everything Ideas

A:Changing permissions has messed up everything

**Update**

Some additional info that might help:
When I attempt to do even basic actions, such as copying a file from my User folder to another location, I am not allowed. Windows tells me I need permission from myself to do it (I'm logged in as User1 and the message says I need permission from VAIO1\User1).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/changing-permissions-has-messed-up-everything-664951.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I need to change to permissions on a couple of subfolders.

The names are Data and Tmp and they repeat on several folders as in

Hard\Data
hard\Tmp
Forum\data
Forum\tmp
members\data
members\tmp
et al

I can't change permissions on the main folders only on Data and tmp.

Any suggestions?

A:Help with changing folders permissions

What operating system?

https://hardforum.com/threads/help-with-changing-folders-permissions.1911899/
Relevancy 54.61%

We have a user that went to grant someone access to a folder on the network. They did this from there desktop, not the server, and now no one can access the folder. Not even an administrator login. I'm assuming they got the warning about changing permissions remotley, but he swears he didn't see anything like that. Now we have a couple of users that have icons that don't work because they're coming from that folder. Is there any way to change those permissions back? I know the permissions default to something, but I'm not sure what it is. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

A:Remotley Changing Permissions

From the server you can take ownership of the files and then reset the permissions on that folder.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/remotley-changing-permissions-312448.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Sorry if this is in the wrong area I cant find any area of this forums relating to user accounts So I changed my user account to the Changing User Permissions Windows Super Admin account because I am easily Changing User Permissions annoyed when a computer tries to lock me out of areas P I am completely okay with this and have no issues However many people keep telling Changing User Permissions me all about how this is a very bad thing to do e g if I get a virus the virus has full control of my system I dont disagree with this and I can understand it I just find the benefits of super admin outweigh the risk considering I generally know what I am doing how to avoid viruses etc I have considered though swapping back to a regular admin account and enabling UAC however there is so much data programs installed program preferences etc Changing User Permissions stored on my user last time I changed it was about a month before things were back to normal Does anyone know how I could just change the permissions of my current account the super admin account I somehow doubt it is possible considering this is the super admin account if anyone instead knows of a good user migration tool that can transfer data from user to user that would also be great Thanks

A:Changing User Permissions

If you were to change the permissions which applied to your current account, you would effectively be changing the permissions for the system admin account. Anything executed or done as system admin would be within the confines of the set parameters, which may have an effect on certain applications, depending on how they are coded.

To draw comparison, its like having superuser and user in linux, and allowing su only to do what user can do, thus eliminating any possibility of using elevated permissions through su (su or sudo would still happen, superuser still exists, but permissions would be rejected)

It is slightly different with Windows 7, and it wouldn't be that drastic, but there are some processes I believe which rely on the system administrator account.

That being said, I'm not sure how you would go about stripping the Sytem Admin account of its power in the first place, or even if its possible.

I sounded much more helpful in my head than I actually was. Ah well :/

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/224498-changing-user-permissions.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Is there a way to permanently get rid of the "My Sharing Folder" that attaches to the My Documents folder on my PC. I googled it and got a text/ command which one enters into the Start> Run Box and gets rid of it ok but then as soon as you sign into Messenger an installer window pops up and reinstalls it. Does anyone know a permanent cure for getting rid of this Folder?.

A:Getting Permanently Rid Of "my Sharing Folder" In Live Messenger.

Hello,

Have you tried disabling the Messenger Sharing Folders USN Journal Reader service in the services.msc menu?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/135731/getting-permanently-rid-of-my-sharing-folder-in-live-messenger/
Relevancy 54.18%

Am unable to permanently erase a folder which inadvertently (I don't know how) was stored in the OEM Recovery Partition.  After erasing it, it always restores itself.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/How-to-permanently-erase-unwanted-folder-in-OEM-Recovery/td-p/5618337
Relevancy 54.18%

I'm trying to modify the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\shell key in the registry to add a "Open with Chrome" entry so that I can right-click a shortcut and choose whether to open it in IE (default) or Chrome.

I know how to create and write this type of key/command, I've done it successfully with other file types, but RegEdit keeps telling me I don't have the required permission to create a new subkey in this particular key.

I've changed the permissions to give administrators full control of this key but it still throws me the same error. I changed the permissions likewise on the parent key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut and can create a new subkey directly under that key but the same settings don't work on the shell subkey.

Help...?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-modify-registry-key-even-after-changing-permissions.205584/
Relevancy 54.18%

I changed the Permissions for my External Hard Drive I am the Admin in this computer I actually wanted Can't after Permissions external my changing access HD to passport-protect it and now Windows doesn t let me change it back my HD will not work in other computers either Please help First I tried system restore that was useless but then again I have never been able to fully complete successfully a system restore on Can't access my external HD after changing Permissions this netbook it always restores somewhat but gives me an error message Then tried this Take Ownership Shortcut Option Add quot Take Ownership quot with Pause to Context Menu The take ownership option appeared successfully when I took ownership of the folders a long list of messages saying that is was successful appeared but when I did this on the Drive the black dialog box opens and closes so quick that I can t see any message on it if there is any so I can t see if it was successful Creator Owner appeared on list after doing this but the only Alowed box ticked was Special Permissions everything else was unticked with neither Allowed nor Denied User Everyone has List folder contents as Allowed and Write as Denied everything else unticked User SYSTEM has everything ticked as Allowed except for Special Permissions And there is a th user with a very long number as a name and a question mark on the person of the icon which has the same Special Permissions as the Creator Owner this was there before Taking Ownership Before taking ownership I was able to delete files but not copy or modify them documents appear as read-only files Now I m able to both delete and copy files to another location clicking on providing admin permission when prompted but I cannot write any new information or copy files to the HD no pop-up asking to give admin permission here So at least I can access my files now but still my Disk is useless as a back-up Again the Edit button on Security doesn t allow me to change anything I can t tick or untick any boxes and the Advanced button is just the same when I click on Change Permission another dialog just the same appears where I can only click View Ok or Cancel The Add Remove and Apply buttons appear greyed-out The funny thing is that Creator Owner appears as having full control of Subfolders and Files only so in theory I should be able to write over files This is the current print screen Thirdly I have tried finding the Access Control Settings for Local Disk dialog box but I m using Windows and I m afraid this just isn t an option there What else can I try

A:Can't access my external HD after changing Permissions

Hello Conloria, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Since this is a Windows 8.1 issue, please register and post this at our sister site www.eightforums.com instead.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/360429-cant-access-my-external-hd-after-changing-permissions.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I lost or Cant Use alot of things after changing the permissions of my C: drive, which currently has Windows 7 installed on it... i no longer have gadgets, windows media player, widows media center and there is no longer a search bar at the bottom of my start menu... (all i have noticed is missing/gone)

any help would be awesome

A:Lost things after changing permissions

I would first try a system restore and if that doesn't work then a Repair Install should definitely work.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/12428-lost-things-after-changing-permissions.html
Relevancy 54.18%

hey, im running windows 7 home premium x64, and i have a folder on pictures (561 in total) that had the permissions changed from a virus. i was wondering if there was a command line operation that would change everything in the one folder to remove the permissions from user: S-1-5-21-..... and add full access for me (chris) and the administrator user group, all at once... i would really hope theres a way other than manually changing the permissions for 560+ photos...

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

A:batch changing permissions on photos

Use ICACLS -

at an Elevated Command Prompt, type
ICACLS /? for the options.
For what you want, it's going to look somethings like

ICACLS C:\<FOLDERPATH> /grant Chris:(F) /T

You may have to take ownership first...
TAKEOWN /F C:\<FOLDERPATH> /R

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/batch-changing-permissions-on-photos-676780.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I currently have a powerpoint presentation along with 2 videos that were embedded into it in a folder I made to organize the presentation. BUt I can no longer open or move the presentation because now "Access is Denied." The videos were orginally in the My Videos folder and the presentation was in My Documents and when I moved all three of them into the same folder the permissions changed. I had to killbox the two videos and re-downloaded them but I don't have time to redo the presentation.

The presentation is due tomorrow and I'm freaking out.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/393402/file-permissions-changing-spontaneously/
Relevancy 54.18%

I bought a new computer last October or November from HP with Windows Pro loaded on it I have had no problems with file my 7 'ungenuined' permissions Changing win it I recently let my friend borrow my external hard drive to transfer some files and as I expected when Changing file permissions 'ungenuined' my win 7 I got it back I had to reset the file permissions Rather than doing it one file at a time I used ICACLS in the command prompt to batch change file Changing file permissions 'ungenuined' my win 7 permissions Apparently doing so screwed up my update and backup settings because now Windows says that my copy is not genuine Something to do with Windows update I tried to change the group policy security settings but it wont let me change anything I only used ICACLS to change the file permissions on one folder on my external hard drive It backs up to that hard drive but on an entirely different parallel folder Any ideas I cant use the recovery because I get the error quot A Volume Shadow Copy Service Component encountered an unexpected error Check the Application event log for more information x quot I cant even figure out where the quot event log quot is to check it Thanks

A:Changing file permissions 'ungenuined' my win 7

Welcome to the forum,

Do you have a restore you can go back to before this happened?

If you type event viewer in start menu search you'll find the log you're looking for.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/88545-changing-file-permissions-ungenuined-my-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 54.18%

In order to change multiple permissions at once you must first obtain ownership of the directory that contains the files that you need to change do this by -right-clicking Permissions Changing for Multiple Files the Drive not the one that windows is installed on folder or file -click Properties -click the Security tab -look towards the bottom right hand Changing Permissions for Multiple Files side and click Advanced Changing Permissions for Multiple Files -click the Owner tab -click Edit -find your username under quot Change owner to quot NOTE Make sure that the checkbox next to quot Replace owner on subcontainers and objects quot is checked -click Apply -Then click OK until all property windows are closed Then to change permissions for all folders subfolders and files within the directory -Right-click the same directory folder or file -click Properties -click Advanced next to quot For special permissions or advanced settings click Advanced quot -click Change Permissions -click Add -enter your username in the box under quot Enter the object names to select quot -click OK NOTE make sure that the checkbox is checked next to quot Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object quot -click Apply Changing Permissions for Multiple Files -Then click OK to exit out of all property windows THEN YOUR DONE All folders and or files within the directory should have their permissions changed

A:Changing Permissions for Multiple Files

Hello Businessman2052,

Welcome to Vista Forums

Great Help but we already have a Chnaging Ownership Tutorial

Please see Take Ownership of file For More Information,

You have posted in the General Discussion section (This is help and support forum) We do have a Tutorial Index which you may want to have a look at

See Tutorials - Vista Forums For More Information

Which is run by Brink our Tutorial Master http://www.vistax64.com/member.php?u=2980

Also as you are new please read the Forum Rules See Forum Rules - Please Read! For More Information

And Finally you may want to have a look at the Reputation System

Reputation and Badges

Hopefully I have got you started at Vista Forums if you need anymore Information then please contact a Site staff member or have a look at the FAQ section

See Vista Forums - FAQ For More Information

Hope This Helps,
Josh

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/286242-changing-permissions-multiple-files.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Not quite sure how I did this but I was moving some files around and somehow I removed the quot owner quot information As a result when I try to do anything i e open copy to the file it says I don't have permission to access the file location even though I have administrator privileges If I right-click on a file and select properties I can reset the owner to myself under the security tab With that change I can then go back to the security tab and delete the quot users quot and quot authenticated users quot user names permissions files multiple changing on leaving only my user name and the administrators At this point I can changing permissions on multiple files access the file as expected Unfortunately this takes several steps and I have dozens changing permissions on multiple files if not hundreds of files to do this to If I highlight multiple files I can still right-click and select properties but the security tab no longer appears Is there a way to change the owner of multiple files using a single command Is there a way to delete users using a single command If I have to use the console that's fine I just need a more effective way to make these changes

A:changing permissions on multiple files

This tutorial explains how to take control of all your files How to take ownership of files in Vista/Win7 - Computer Forums. Please let me know if it works for my own knowledge.
Regards,
Gil777t

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/272848-changing-permissions-multiple-files.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I ve got a really strange one and I hope someone can help me I ve noticed that some folders most actually in my C and D drives both internal hard drives have lock icons appearing on them Looking at their Properties - gt Security tab there are no permissions set for any of them I ll bet I unwittingly ran a malicious program at some point which has caused this problem At Infected malware with permissions-changing the same time my internet connection has become quite spotty and I m sure the two symptoms are linked somehow My PC is a custom-built system with some high-end parts I Infected with permissions-changing malware just bought in February Intel i - Dominator GB DDR ATI HD GB SSD amp TB HDD etc The OS is Windows Ultimate -bit Let me know if you need any further Infected with permissions-changing malware details and I ll gladly post them Here is the DDS log CODEDDS Ver - - - NTFSX Infected with permissions-changing malware nbsp nbsp Run by Sturm at on Sat Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows Ultimate nbsp nbsp GMT - Running Processes C Windows system wininit exeC Windows system lsm exeC Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunchC Windows system nvvsvc exeC Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSSC Program Files Microsoft Security Essentials MsMpEng exeC Windows system atiesrxx exeC Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestrictedC Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestrictedC Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcsC Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceC Windows system atieclxx exeC Windows system nvvsvc exeC Windows system WUDFHost exeC Windows system WUDFHost exeC Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceC Windows System spoolsv exeC Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetworkC Program Files x Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exeC Program Files x Bonjour mDNSResponder exeC Program Files Windows Home Server esClient exeC Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonationC Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LVMVFM LVPrcSrv exeC Program Files x Common Files LogiShrd LVMVFM LVPrS H exeD Program Files x Autodesk ds Max mentalimages satellite raysat dsmax server exeD Program Files Autodesk ds Max mentalimages satellite raysat dsmax server exeC Program Files x Common Files Livescribe PenComm PenCommService exeC Program Files x NVIDIA Corporation D Vision nvSCPAPISvr exeC Windows system svchost exe -k imgsvcC Program Files Windows Home Server Microsoft HomeServer Archive TransferService exeC Program Files Windows Home Server WHSConnector exeC Windows system WUDFHost exeC Windows system taskhost exeC Windows system Dwm exeC Windows Explorer EXEC Program Files Microsoft Security Essentials msseces exeC Program Files Logitech GamePanel Software LGDevAgt exeC Program Files Logitech GamePanel Software LCD Manager LCDMon exeC Program Files Logitech GamePanel Software G-series Software LGDCore exeC Users Sturm AppData Local Google Update GoogleCrashHandler exeC Program Files Logitech GamePanel Software Applets LCDClock exeC Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestrictedC Program Files Logitech GamePanel Software Applets LCDMedia exeD Program Files x uTorrent uTorrent exeD Program Files Adobe Adobe Bridge CS Bridge exeC Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exeC Program Files Dconnexion Dconnexion DxSoftware DxWare dxsrv exeC Program Files Windows Home Server WHSTrayApp exeC Windows system wbem wmiprvse exeC Program Files x Razer Mamba RazerTray exeC Program Files x ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exeD Program Files x iTunes iTunesHelper exeC Program Files x ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static CCC exeD Program Files x CyberLink PowerDVD PowerDVD PDVD Serv exeC Program Files x Cyberlink Shared Files brs exeC Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exeC Program Files Logitech Logitech WebCam Software LWS exeC Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exeC Program Files x Common Files Logishrd LQCVFX COCIM... Read more

A:Infected with permissions-changing malware

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREWe also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit scanner. Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal AdviceThen create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:How to create a GMER log

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/312252/infected-with-permissions-changing-malware/
Relevancy 54.18%

I'm trying to modify the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\shell key in the registry to add a "Open with Chrome" entry so that I can right-click a shortcut and choose whether to open it in IE (default) or Chrome.

I know how to create and write this type of key/command, I've done it successfully with other file types, but RegEdit keeps telling me I don't have the required permission to create a new subkey in this particular key.

I've changed the permissions to give administrators full control of this key but it still throws me the same error. I changed the permissions likewise on the parent key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut and can create a new subkey directly under that key but the same settings don't work on the shell subkey.

Help...?

A:Can't modify registry key even after changing permissions

Well you can try this if you like. It's the method that I use to modify protected registry keys.

Note: It is wise to back up (export) the registry key before messing about with it.

Try downloading this and run as administrator:

RegOwnershipEx

Since you've been screwing up permissions on that registry key I'd suggest making use of system restore to return things to how they were before you start.

Run the program:

In the program's folder you'll find a Windows 7 sub-folder. Open it and then open the X86 folder for 32bit windows. Right click RegOwnershipEx.exe and choose run as administrator.

From the GUI browse to the registry key:

Then Take Ownership

Then run Regedit and make your modifications and exit Regedit

Then go back to your open RegOwnershipEx window and Restore Ownership.

Reboot.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/346835-cant-modify-registry-key-even-after-changing-permissions.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi,

I run Windows XP Home Edition. I have recently installed an Apache server, and have my website running from my computer, but have a few problems. I want to install vBulletin, but it requires me to change the permissions on a file from 644 to 666. I know you can do this over FTP or UNIX, but how would I do this on Windows XP?

Thanks a lot for your help.

--Alex ([email protected])

Relevancy 54.18%

I changed the Permissions for my External Hard Drive I am the Admin in this computer I actually wanted to passport-protect it and now Windows doesn t let me change it back my Can't changing after my external access Permissions HD HD will not work in other computers either Please help First Can't access my external HD after changing Permissions I tried system restore that was useless but then again I have never been able to fully complete successfully a system restore on this netbook it always restores somewhat but gives me an error message Then tried this Take Ownership Shortcut Option Add quot Take Ownership quot with Pause to Context Menu The take ownership option appeared successfully when I took ownership of the folders a long list of messages saying that is was successful appeared but when I did this on the Drive the black dialog box opens and closes so quick that I can t see any message on it if there is any so I can t see if it was successful Creator Owner appeared on list after doing this but the only Alowed box ticked was Special Permissions everything else was unticked with neither Allowed nor Denied User Everyone has List folder contents as Allowed and Write as Denied everything else unticked User SYSTEM has everything ticked as Allowed except for Special Permissions And there is a th user with a very long number as a name and a question mark on the person of the icon which has the same Special Permissions as the Creator Owner this was there before Taking Ownership Before taking ownership I was able to delete files but not copy or modify them documents appear as read-only files Now I m able to both delete and copy files to another location clicking on providing admin permission when prompted but I cannot write any new information or copy files to the HD no pop-up asking to give admin permission here So at least I can access my files now but still my Disk is useless as a back-up Again the Edit button on Security doesn t allow me to change anything I can t tick or untick any boxes and the Advanced button is just the same when I click on Change Permission another dialog just the same appears where I can only click View Ok or Cancel The Add Remove and Apply buttons appear greyed-out The funny thing is that Creator Owner appears as having full control of Subfolders and Files only so in theory I should be able to write over files Thirdly I have tried finding the Access Control Settings for Local Disk dialog box but I m using Windows and I m afraid this just isn t an option there What else can I try

A:Can't access my external HD after changing Permissions

That topic was from 2009 and was for windows 7

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/61155-cant-access-my-external-hd-after-changing-permissions.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Have a computer where the integrated SATA controllers failed, they do not have a backup system which allows the installation of "different/additional" storage controllers or "dissimilar" machines.

i've installed another SATA Controller, and the computer is able to boot of the drive, but not successfully load Windows and
runs through the various "repair" options but fails.

I've scanned the hard drive with various hard drive tools, including virus scans, the drive passes.

Prior to Vista and Win7, it was possible to manually edit files within the OS to manually include drivers and change drives, partitions, etc..etc..

I am attempting to use another backup system, to attempt to image the existing drive, and use their restore process to see if I can insert the additional controller drivers.

How might I accomplish this with Win7 if this doesn't work?

Thank you!

A:Changing controller on an existing, but offline Windows 7 64 installation

Hi

It is possible if you have the unpacked Windows 7 driver files of the current storage controller. What you need to do is to boot from the "Windows 7" setup DVD, System repair CD or from a "WinPE 3.0" and use the DISM command to inject the storage controller driver . You will find more info in the below links.

http://christian.hofstaedtler.name/blog/2013/01/using-dism-to-add-drivers.html

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?showtopic=192550

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/513343/changing-controller-on-an-existing-but-offline-windows-7-64-installation/