Windows Support Forum

Wifi not showing up in Guest account

Q: Wifi not showing up in Guest account

I am using Windows 7 and I have my Administrator account and a Guest account. I had a friend visiting me and I had him use the Guest account when he wanted on the computer.

Today, I went into the Guest account, and the wifi is not showing up. It was working when my friend was using it. I went back to my Administrator account and the wifi is working fine there.

When I try to access the internet under the Guest account but of course it will not connect. I tried the troubleshooter but it did not help. I went to Control Panel and Networking but was not able to find a way to get the wifi to turn on in the Guest account.

Anyone know how I can get the wifi turned on in the Guest account when it is up and running fine under the main Administrator account?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Wifi not showing up in Guest account

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Wifi not showing up in Guest account

Welcome to Seven Forums,

Have you tried to manually add your SSID under Guest Account?
http://www.7tutorials.com/how-connec...eless-networks

I'd try creating a new Guest or a Standard User Account see if that helps.
Create a user account

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/286072-wifi-not-showing-up-guest-account.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hello all My gf decided she wanted her admin account name changed on her Windows machine from her first and last name I edited her account name so that only her first name showed No the guest account account showing admin Only available. up I used Netplwiz and everything seemed to go well Upon rebooting the machine somehow her guest account which was turned off and not showing was the only Only the guest account available. No admin account showing account accessible Before this she only had her admin account which was just her first last name and this was only the account accessible upon booting the machine Now she cannot access her usual account In the guest account I was able to browse to the Users folder in Windows Explorer and see that her usual account titled her first name is still there When trying to double click the folder I am prompted for a password but there is no box to type the password When looking at the properties of her C drive about GBs are showing as used so I am guessing all her data is still there Can someone please help a guy out V Day is this weekend and I would really like to survive it as she is already made at me for basically locking her out of her computer Thank you in advance

A:Only the guest account available. No admin account showing

You'll have to activate the built-in administrator account, and use that account to reverse-engineer the accidental lockout. Regular eightforum techs will appear shortly and give you the needed info.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/61544-only-guest-account-available-no-admin-account-showing.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi all,

I was looking at the event viewer and noticed that there are multiple "logoff" events - event id 4634 - associated with the guest accolunt on my computer. The guest account is disabled. There is no associated "logon" event with matching event id although there are numerous SYSTEM logon events and one rather curious "anonymous user" logon event.

I am concerned that this may suggest a trojan but have no other symptons or issues to concern me other than these entries.

Can anyone shed any light?

A:Vista Pro. Multiple Guest logoff events with guest account off

ANONYMOUS LOGONs are routine events on Windows networks.http://www.ultimatewindowssecurity.com/sec...px?eventid=4634

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/242292/vista-pro-multiple-guest-logoff-events-with-guest-account-off/
Relevancy 68.8%

del Recently while running some log checks I found the guest account had been logging on and off even tho I have disabled the guest acount long ago Now MBSA has been showing that the guest acct was active but I had thought it was an error since when I would check it would show to be off Finding this I decided to check deeper and found while checking services that DCOM and RPC had guest Guest acct off activity with account been reenabled and I can no longer stop or disable those services The Guest account activity with guest acct off functionality is greyed out DCOM is still being blocked luckyly since there has been over a attemps to Guest account activity with guest acct off start the srvice In my admin tools I no longer seem to have the tools to set user permission levels I run XP Home with SP and all the latest updates for it AV and AT scans daily SpywareGuard Blaster and Spybot S amp D tea timer running also Previx Sygate Pro I am not sure if the P P connection attemps are related to this or not as there are Guest account activity with guest acct off no outbound attemps from me logged Any ideas have I been owned as a P P server even tho I logg no outbound connections Thanks for any thoughts on this

A:Guest account activity with guest acct off

Er..could it possible be some kind of homemade virus/trojan or similiar and you got it, or some kind of error with the pc something wrong setting.

I don't know what the problem can be but still won't hurt to ask a few questions or having a few thoughts.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/18018/guest-account-activity-with-guest-acct-off/
Relevancy 64.07%

Suddenly, the Windows 7 doesn't allow me to access my Admin Account and showing error msg (The User Profile Service service failed to Logon). I am left with only the Guest Account with limited access.
I tried copying the cmd.exe, using Fix It Program, login through Safe Mode but all didn't work.
Would anyone help pls?
HMK

A:The User Profile (Administrator Account) Service failed to logon and then left with only Guest Account in Windows 7

Hi,

Occasionally, Windows might not read your user profile correctly, such as if your antivirus software is scanning your computer while you try to log on.
Please try restarting your computer and logging on with your user account again.

If the issue still persists, please restart in safe mode to log on with the built-in administrator account:
1. Restart your computer and hit F8 multiples times until you see a menu-like screen, if you see the Windows splash screen then repeat this step
2. Highlight and hit enter on Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Try logging in there.
3. If you are able to login, once a command prompt pops up, type: net user administrator password /active:yes (you can specify whatever password you want for the administrator
account.)
4. If you get a message saying "The command completed successfully", then restart your computer by typing: shutdown -r
5. Boot up again pressing F8, but this time choose just Safe Mode.
6. You will be able to login as Administrator with the password you set in Step 3.

Then try the following methods:
Method 1: Fix these user account profile on these computer

Method 2: Log on to Windows and copy your data to a new account
Method 3: Delete the error SID and create a new profile
For the detailed information, please refer to this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215Karen Hu
TechNet Community Support

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7389c4fb-18f4-43a9-b827-64581ddfff06/the-user-profile-administrator-account-service-failed-to-logon-and-then-left-with-only-guest?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 64.07%

So this is probably the strangest problem I have ever encountered with Windows About two or three months ago I noticed that my user account had suddenly changed into a guest account I get prompted for an administrator password when trying to do any tasks that require administrator privilege It is not a huge hassle as I know the administrator account password Here a change changed it User can into account, I account how back guest is where it becomes very strange When I turn my computer on it automatically logs me into my user account the guest account When I got into the user accounts section of the control panel and try to manage user accounts it shows exactly zero user accounts on my computer Also when I try to change my user account the guest account to an administrator account precisely nothing happens It User account changed into a guest account, how can I change it back gets evens stranger When I log out of Windows the only user account I can pick from to log back into Windows is the generic quot Administrator quot account My user account is nowhere to be found When I go to the control panel and try to manage accounts only the administrator account is listed There is an option turn on a generic guest account but nothing related to my original user account is shown Again this is in contrast to when I am logged into my user account the User account changed into a guest account, how can I change it back guest account and see exactly zero user accounts listed on the manage accounts screen I feel that I am pretty good at avoiding bad websites and I do have an antivirus program installed not that that will prevent my computer from being infected but I have used it to do full system scans and I have found nothing on my computer every time Additionally I have Windows updates set to be automatically installed so all of the updates have been installed on my version of Windows I tried asking Microsoft support directly all I got was that no user accounts showing up under the manage user accounts tab is a pretty bad sign and that in order to fully diagnose the problem I would need to sign up for the quot Assure Plan quot or whatever it was called which cost for one year Forget that option for now Does anyone know how to resolve this issue How can I switch my original user account from a guest account and then how could I make it an administrator account once I have retrieved it so-to-speak from being a phantom guest account I mean I know the administrator password and all and so I have been able to essentially use my computer as if nothing is wrong But this whole issue seems very very strange and so I want to see what you guys have to say about it I hope these are not the signs of a more serious and potentially major issue Thanks in advance for anyone's help with this

A:User account changed into a guest account, how can I change it back

Hi and welcome to the Forum
When you refer to the generic Administrator Account do you mean the Account that is hidden in Windows 7? If so did you activate it using this:
Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable If you did the above then this is strange as forgetting the "Hidden admin account you must have at least one ordinary Admin account in Windows 7. You can't operate the system without one!!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/335636-user-account-changed-into-guest-account-how-can-i-change-back.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi all..

Just wondering.. is it possible for me to set my guest account similar as my primary account but with several file or folder or software in my primary account , cant be access in my guest account? means i still can instll the new software, or application, and still can save new document or file in my guest account without been deleted after every time i shutdown and restart my laptop...is it possible for me to set my guest account like that? or if not possible can anybody here please give me any suggestion on how to solve this problem...?

Thank you

Regards,

A:Set Guest Account Similar As Primary Account,(except on Several Files)

It is possible to create user groups on a workstation set-up in windows 7, although as the full set of tools available in a client - Server set-up are not available to you it is a lot more complex and time consuming.

The other issue is that a lot of the tools available in the more professional versions are not available in the Home versions

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/272189-set-guest-account-similar-primary-account-except-several-files.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Every time I try to log into my regular account it doesn't let me only lets me log into guest account.  Please help me.

A:regular account doesn't work only guest account

Hello singsingrn, and welcome to Bleeping Computer!
Please let us know the exact error message you get when trying to logon to your regular account so that we can better help you!

Also, please let us know if you have your Original Windows Vista Installation disc available in your next reply.

bloopie

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/497389/regular-account-doesnt-work-only-guest-account/
Relevancy 63.64%

My friends 8 year old son decided it would be a good idea to get on my laptop and change the e-mail that is associated with the administrator account. The password to the account was also changed and as much as I hate to finally admit it - there is no
possible way for the information to be retrieved now. It has been about 9 months now and I have been using the Guest Account, but this is getting old. How can I get back into the admin account without knowing the password, and while being on the guest account,
which doesn't allow me to do much of anything because the password is needed to make any sort of change..?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f26bb63e-9959-4a43-9bb6-1727ab31c640/locked-out-of-administrative-account-stuck-using-guest-account-help?forum=MTCWin8
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi,

When i access a system which is having windows xp professional as an operating system and it is in workgroup it is going to guest account and asking the guest password but there is an option in which if we change and when we try to access the same system it will ask the user name and password instead of going to guest account.

So do anyone have an idea about that option. Please let me know it is very much needed to me.

Awaiting for the reply.

Thank you for your valuable time.

A:guest account - normal account access in xp professional

Not sure I understand your question or problem. Maybe this info will help.

If you are using Simple File Sharing (Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab - Use simple file sharing) it should quietly use the network guest account for access and there should be no prompt. If there is the system has a problem.

If you are using Advanced File Sharing (not using Simple File Sharing) you should get the prompt for a regular account/password.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/guest-account-normal-account-access-in-xp-professional.980068/
Relevancy 62.35%

My kid uses Guest Account in Windows 8.1. The Family Safety seems unable to apply to the Guest Account, right? So I have to create another account with the Family Safety applied. But, my kid does not want to lose all game data in the Guest Account. How to move all the data from the Guest Account to another account so that my kid can play the game from the new account without losing anything? Thank you for your answer.

A:How to move data from Guest Account to another Account?

I have moved data from one account to another several times. Most of the time, it goes really well! However, finding, identifying [safe to move], copying and/or moving folders' files from guest to a standard account is very geeky! If you are not properly geeky, it can go really not well at all. I recommend copying the files from folders, I do not recommend trying to move folders. How geeky, how skilled, do you regard yourself concerning Explorer [which was once called File Manager back when Fred Flintstone used windows]?

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/60534-how-move-data-guest-account-another-account.html
Relevancy 62.35%

please help me!!

I bought a shiny new laptop yesterday with windows 8 pre-installed. After setting a few things up, i restarted the computer for the first time. At this time the computer downloaded many updates. On start up since my user account has been downgraded to a guest account. This is the only account on the computer, as such i do not have administrator rights and i am unable to log in as an administrator.

having read other peoples posts i believe i may have to restore the computer back to factory settings but i am cannot figure out how to do this without being the administrator.

Please help me!

A:help - windows 8 account downgraded to guest account

Go to menu boot: winkey + C > Settings > Power > Shift + Restart > Troubleshoot > Restore
maybe it could help.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/32844-help-windows-8-account-downgraded-guest-account.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi
I have an account problem with Windows XP on my PC. The Windows Welcome page shows both my user account (password protected) and the guest account. When I attempt to login using my user account the PC opens the guest account. The settings for this are as if the PC has just come from the factory and has none of my files in My Docs or Desktop. When I open user accounts in Control Panel it only shows guest account as running. I have tried to do a System Restore but after a selecting a restore point the screen sticks on "gathering information" and won't go any further.
Help please, I have a lot of important inforamtion stored in various memories and also important emails in Outlook Express which I can't access

Thanks

A:User account opens as guest account

Your user profile has become corrupted. If you have Windows XP Pro (not home) at the login screen, pres CTRL+AL+DEL 3 times fast. This will give you the classic login screen. Here log in as Administrator, leave the Password blank unless you set a password for the admin account. Here go to Start/Run and type control userpasswords and press enter. Create a new user account with admin rights. Log out of the Administrator account and login as the new user. Browse to C:/Documents and Settings open up your old user profile folder and Copy the My Documents, Favorites, Desktop and Start Menu folders and Paste them into your new profile folder overwriting the empty ones.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-account-opens-as-guest-account-671828.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello. I can't open the guest folder usgin my admin ccount on windows 7. Each time I need a file I have to login using guest account and its frustrating. I just clic on the folder and nothing happens

A:Can't access to guest account files from another account

Administrator account is not for general usage, and NOT your own account.
Administrator account required password to access.
Usually, no one use Administrator account.
Do note the differences between "Administrator" account and "admin" rights.
Administrator account have full rights to anything and everything.
"Admin" rights is just act as administrator and is not an account.

As the 1st newly create account (mainly your own account) may have that admin rights.
With admin rights, you are accessible to create accounts for other users.

Also for guest account, by default have no password.
Guest account is always available, but need to initiate it for use, and no password is needed.

If you create guest account, it will not be a guest account, and this will be another user account, but the name "Guest" may conflict with the system created "Guest" account.

In conclusion, you may started the wrong way.

So, if your had manually create an Guest account with password, it is not a guest account at all.
But an user account with the name "Guest".
When you activated the Guest account, there will not be any password.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/399629-cant-access-guest-account-files-another-account.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi I m running XP Home SP I have always been using a user account guest changed account! a Admin account to with administrator rights Having Admin account changed to a guest account! heard that it is not safe I thought Admin account changed to a guest account! I would change my account type to power user I ran quot control userpasswords quot and just in case tried to change the account I was logged in with which naturally did not work Then in the same window I defined a password for the main default Administrator account which I had never used I rebooted in Safe Mode and logged in using the default Administrator account Went to Control Panel gt User accounts and the admin account I use everyday was not there Only admin and guest Then I rebooted in normal mode and logged in using my usual login which is now a guest account Meaning I don t have write access to the C root for instance I can t even display the calendar as I don t have the rights to change the system date amp time How can I sort this out I ve done my Google research but did not find any relevant solution I d be very grateful for any advice Thanks nbsp

A:Admin account changed to a guest account!

For those interested (?), the solution was given to me on another forum:
Safe Mode, log in as default admin, run the command prompt and enter the following command:
net localgroup administrators /add accountname

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-account-changed-to-a-guest-account.669264/
Relevancy 62.35%

My friend and I share my laptop. Recently I found out that he was watching porn on my computer. So I promptly confronted him, and told him to stop. Weeks later, he did it again. So I downloaded Norton's Safety Minder to prevent it. So this sneaky prick goes around and enables the guest account, and lo and behold, porn fest again.

What can I do? I don't want to keep him off the admin account, because he plays games on here, but I don't want him watching porn on my laptop either. Is there a way to put parental settings on the guest account? I know you can disable it, tried that, he just re-enables it, then disables it before he gets off. I'm really frustrated about this.

A:Need To Disable Guest Account On Admin Account

You could provide more info about your machine, of course.

For starters, password protect the BIOS and give the child a user account.

There's no need for him to use an admintrator account.

Occasionally check to make sure your BIOS is still secure. Other than that, take the machine away and lock it up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/263387-need-disable-guest-account-admin-account.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hey guys. Im having a problem with my computer!somehow my administrator account has turned to a guest account. Today I tried to unistall a program and it didnt let me saying i needed to be admin. . Also I tried turning it to admin by using cmd command but it says access not allowed.

A:My Administrator account turned to Guest account

Ok I have these

Quote:
Administrator - Built-in account for administering the computer/domain

Guest - Built-in account for guest access to the computer/domain

Homegroupuser$ - Built-in account for homegroup access to the computer

(MyAdminwhichTurnedTOguest)

VSA Server Account - Account for the Visual Studio Analyzer server components

I cant even unistall or delete simple things like shortcuts

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/137086-my-administrator-account-turned-guest-account.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I would like to allow the "Guest" User to use my Dial up connection (MSN). When I log in as the Guest, I can't even access the modem, much less the service.

In addition, I cen't get the Explorer Icon to move to the "Internet" porition of the start menu when I'm logged in as the guest. This is just a side question, though, since I would really like to secure my files while allowing roomates and others to use my Internet connection.

Windows XP Professional, If that is important.

Thanks in advance, this is a GREAT site for help!

mp

A:How do I use the Guest Account to use my Dial-up Account?

By default the Guest user account has very little rights assigned for security reasons. You can change which rights are assigned to it, but I would wonder why you want the guest account to access the modem. Hackers would have a field-day on your PC.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-use-the-guest-account-to-use-my-dial-up-account.70746/
Relevancy 60.2%

I've been plagued Trojans and re-directs lately with a W7 Standard Account which I thought and taught was the right choice for safer web browsing. Not as many system ports open to attack.

So, if MS recommends the Standard Account over Administrator for safety reasons, is using the Guest Account for web browsing safer yet?

I dunno' ...

I use IE10 and I am a Fully Updated Safe Surfer. No other Browsers or Bars installed.

A:Is W7 Guest Account the Safest Account to Use On the Web?

It is possible that you computer is infected in such a way the most antivirus tools cannot find the infection. These types of infections try to download/install other infections (which might be caught by your antivirus program). There is a place in your system spec for the antivirus tool, please update that field when you get a chance.

If you have java installed, uninstall it or at least disable it. Let us know if you need help doing that.

You might want to try a scan using this tool:
What is Windows Defender Offline?

But to answer your question, you do not want to use the guest account for day to day use.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/280774-w7-guest-account-safest-account-use-web.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I have the same problem! can't delete accounts, rename accounts, change picture or type of account. I have one non-admin account and one administrator account (my guest account.) I can't change back or add/delete accounts, cannot switch guest account off, please help!! what should I do?! I have tried running "control userpasswords2" in start menu, but that does not work either. please help me...

A:guest account is now administrator account

This super adminstrator may be able to help.
Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Forums
For Vista or Seven

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/282385-guest-account-now-administrator-account.html
Relevancy 60.2%

my guest account has been switch to administrator account.i've tried to switch it back and nothing happens.can someone tell me what to do.i've tried to switch myself back to administrator account but it keeps saying access denied,i did the command prompt it still access denied can someone help

A:guest account is now administrator account

Do a virus scan if nothing comes up format the drive and reinstall windows.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/232149-guest-account-now-administrator-account.html
Relevancy 60.2%

So this is what happened, I have a personal reason why I need to recreate a account. I accidentally open up a guest account and made that guest account as a Admin. Then I deleted the main account which is a User and Admin. Now I only have a Admin-Guest account. I need to use programs such as Photoshop but under Admin-guest I couldn't use them.

I tried making a new Account, I typed 'Aaron' for the Username, but they said you can't use '[email protected](%)' for your username. I tried other username such as testing, abcd and such. All without symbol. They still give me the same problem.

I tried using netplwiz and make a account at the end, it says, access denied.

Please help please. I can't have a reformat for this computer coz of personal reason too. Sorry it caused inconveniences. Please please pleas help!!!

A:A admin account under a Guest account.

Hi StolenChips,

Welcome to Vista Forums!

First, try to access the built-in Administrator Account to see if you can create another Administrator Account or fix the one you already have: Administrator Account. If you can access and work with this account, but can't fix the current account, create another Administrator Account (and while you're at it, create yet another as a backup in case this or something like it happens again - if it's working, you're somewhat lucky - the next time may not be the same and the following procedure may be the only option) and treat the situation like a corrupt user account to transfer your data and profile information. To do this use http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-vista/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile.

I know you don't want this, but it's probably your only remaining choice (and you don't need a personal reason not to want to do it - NOBODY ever wants to do it). If that doesn't work, the best bet (I would even say the only choice) is to try to save your data and then do a clean install or a restore to factory conditions to re-create a valid Administrator account. To save your data, try Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek.
This should give you enough access to the system to backup your important data (if you can't get in any other way - if you can, use normal procedures to backup or copy/paste the data). If that doesn’t work, try slaving the drive to another computer and recovering the data using that other computer to access the disk.

Once done, you can do a clean install either using the genuine Windows Vista Installation Disk or the Recovery Disk or the Recovery Partition (whatever process is dictated by your computer manufacturer – you may need to contact them for the procedure and perhaps to get recovery disks). To do a clean install proceed as follows: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_install_03.asp (adapted as necessary by the procedures of your computer manufacturer). Then you will need to re-install all your programs, reset all your preferences, reconfigure your network and email settings, restore your backed up data, run Windows Update with possibly nearly 150 updates pending,...

I wish there were alternatives, but this situation doesn't present many because Vista is designed for security and anything less would potentially compromise the system and allow people to hack into it using methods designed to recover from something like this.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/286324-admin-account-under-guest-account.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi I have got my own user account obviously I have family coming over soon account Guest and don't want them to use my account also obviously I want to Guest account grant them access to only certain programs i e Google Chrome - without them seeing my bookmarks or Photoshop - without them seeing my recent files list etc You'll get my point Therefore I enabled Guest Account Problem is there are no icons or charms for the programs i want to grant access to and Guest account I don't know how to add those icons or charms to the start screen When googling Guest Account all the websites explain how to enable the guest account I know how to enable or disable it But what is the point on enabling a guest account that has no programs I tried using Parental controls to individually tick the programs for them to use but apparently Win doesn't allow Parental Controls to be used with Guest Account Bit confused thought Guest Accounts were supposed to make life simple So how do I add programs Do I really have to re-install the programs completely in the Guest account with my admin password So I'll have the program installed twice once for my own account and once for the guest account Or make a shortcut to the program in the C program files folder Thanks for your help

A:Guest account

By default from Windows XP and newer the Guest Account and whom uses it will not have access to your personal files if they are under your user account. Which Version of Windows 7 do you have Home, Pro, Ultimate?

Also your profiles says you have Windows 7. This is a Windows 8 forum. Which one do you have installed?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/guest-account-674432.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hello!

When I log onto the guest account on my laptop, a window pops up and it says "guest/account/desktop inaccessible." The desktop is blank (all black) and there are no icons. You basically can't do anything on my guest account (like go on the internet, microsoft word, etc.) My main administrator account seems fine to me. I think. I don't know what's wrong!

Please help!

A:Cannot log onto guest account

See here: Guest Account - Turn On or Off

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/72561-cannot-log-onto-guest-account.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hello:

I have successfully activated the hidden guest account by using the net user /guest:active command from an elevated command prompt. However, the account does not appear at the bottom left of my login screen along with the other accounts on my system, so I am unable to use the guest account. Does anyone have any ideas?

A:How to log in to the guest account?

The built-in Guest account is deprecated in Windows 10. You can create a new Guest account easily and quite fast by yourself, instructions in the video in this post: Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members - Page 96 - Windows 10 Forums

Kari

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/32608-how-log-guest-account.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Heres the quick and dirty Win XP Media Edition Home SP A couple weeks ago my daughter enabled the guest account Every time I try to disable it it comes back When I logoff or shutdown I see a message stating quot Logoff Script Running quot Since I am on Home Edition I do not have the away Guest Account will not go Group Policy Editor to manages Guest Account will not go away such scripts If I pull the power after disabling the account it looks like a login script is running to re-enable it The scary part is that the account comes back as a member of Administrators and Remote Desktop Users even though I remove the groups each time MBAM Finds nothing Hijack this shows nothing fishy CombFix deleted a script file but that does not seem to be it I would appreciate any advice Doug ComboFix Log ComboFix - - - xxxxxxxxxxxx - x Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT - Running from c documents and settings User Desktop ComboFix exeAV Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition Disabled Updated FB Guest Account will not go away E- B - A- F -E D C Created Guest Account will not go away a new restore point Other Deletions c windows system GroupPolicy User Scripts scripts ini Files Created from - - to - - - - - - -------- d--h--w- c windows system GroupPolicy - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers etc netstat exe - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers etc exe - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers etc exe - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers etc logoff exe - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings Administrator Application Data Apple Computer - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings Administrator Local Settings Application Data Apple Computer - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings Administrator Local Settings Application Data LogMeIn - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings Guest Find M Report - - - - ----a-w- c windows system inetcomm dll - - - - ----a-w- c windows system vbscript dll - - - - ----a-w- c windows system win k sys SnapShot - - Update I ran a search for all files containing the text HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SAM SAM Domains Account UsersI figured the scripts are using this to reactivate and change membership on the account Unfortunately no hits I made sure to search all hidden and system files on C my only drive Is there any way to make the PC save a log with the scripts it runs on logon and logoff Merged posts OB

A:Guest Account will not go away

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.Please take note:If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If you are unable to create a log because your computer cannot start up successfully please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.If you are unable to perform the steps we have recommended please try one more time and if unsuccessful alert us of such and we will design an alternate means of obtaining the necessary information.If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review your topic an do their best to resolve your issues.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREWe also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner. Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows you will not be able to run GMER and you may skip this step.Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal AdviceThen create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:How to create a GMER logThanks and again sorry for the delay.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/399648/guest-account-will-not-go-away/
Relevancy 58.48%

Now every time i try to start-up media center i keep getting an error message which keeps saying i am signed in with a guest account, please log in with a user account. Now of course i am set up as an administrator, still no help, so i try with the administrotor account - guess what, still says i am a guest.

Can anyone help me with this, as i would really like to use it seen as i have Vista x64 Ultimate.

Thanks in advance

A:Guest account???????

Don't matter anymore, formatted the hard drive and started again.

Guess it must have been a conflict or something.

http://www.vistax64.com/software/209610-guest-account.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Ok I'm a bit long in the tooth and trying to get used to windows 8! The trouble I'm having is that every time I boot up the window opens at the guest account. I have no idea what this is and I dont want it.Strange thing is when I look at the accounts it (guest) is switched off.
Anyway I have looked at solutions and none of them work for me.
This is what I have done.
Clicked 'settings'
clicked' control panel'
clicked 'user account and family safety'
clicked 'add or remove user accounts'
clicked on the one I want to delete (guest)
Thats where it all ends. There is no link to 'delete account for that user'
So, is it possible to delete a guest link? If not is there a way to stop this laptop from opening at the guest sign-in?
I have only had windows 8 for two weeks so nice and slowly please.

I have no idea if this makes any difference or not but I should have said that on boot-up it is 'other user' I am faced with. It is when I do the above that I find the 'guest' user icon and my (administrator) icons.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503785/guest-account/
Relevancy 58.48%

With the guest account on windows seven, once you enter your password to access something on a main account is there a way to make the guest account forget it?

I was adding my music library to WMP and I had to enter my password but then I could browse all my other files and folders, which I don't want it to be able to do.

Mkr10001,

I believe that if you log off, it will then forget the password that you used to access the main account.
the rules say that you only have to enter the main acct password once and during that session, it should stay ok.
Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/217455-guest-account.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I have my computer set with my own account and then the guest account for everyone else to use. It worked fine for a while, but now for some reason the Guest account won't connect to the internet...I have a cable connection and on my account it works just fine. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/guest-account-on-xp-14277.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hay the guest account dosent reset on logout how can I make it delete all the files when they log out and reset it back to normal

A:Guest Account

I think you have to manually disable it.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/297387-guest-account.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Ok so I was cheering about getting my XP desktop to network with my SE notebook feeling all good Right In order for it to work I needed to enable my guest account so things are good for a couple of day then yesterday after playing around games email and studying my Nortons comes up with a nimda hit all over my C fat data running ME I am logged on to XP as my user the problem is the Guest account is the one showing up as infected user all over my C My D drive is fine main drive NTFS running XP pro so after it telling me that about files on c are infected I download Nimda removal from sysmantec and run it NO virus found the file that were infected are not there did a search for the files refrence in Nortons log so I belive I am clean but here is the main problem how do account do with to guest What the you disable the guest account like ALL the security pros say and have the computer What to do with the guest account see each other and not prompt you for a password when you try to browse from desktop to laptop - sorry if I confuse any one

A:What to do with the guest account

Rename the account to something else.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/what-to-do-with-the-guest-account-2608.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I have 2 Promise NAS boxes, both NS4300N. The both lack a guest account. I cannot create an account without a password and as far as I know, a guest account is the user called guest without a password. Reason I want to do this is that I have my eyes on this media player which has a LAN connection and it will let me browse to my NAS, that is if my NAS had a guest account and the devices I found on the market that connect to any network all use the guest account to connect.

Does anyone know how to add a guest account on my NS4300n NAS ??

Thanks

Have you considered Promise tech support?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/guest-account.910618/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hiya!

The Help and Support of Windows XP Pro (SP1) says that the Guest account can be used to allow people to log in and check their email etc.... but when I log in as Guest all the Dial-up Accounts are rendered unaccessible. I would prefer not to create a User account so can anyone tell me if the Guest account can actually be used as its supposed to be (ie: in the way Help says it can be used?)

Using Win Xp Pro (SP1)
Thanks,
J

You have to grant Guest permissions to do things. By default that accound can't do much anything.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/guest-account.23542/
Relevancy 58.48%

Is Windows Vista a good operating system for Guest accounts?

I need ether Vista or XP to give me ability to change Guest account settings.

The issue is: My cousin comes over to spend the night just to use one of my computers and he downloads BS that just slows the computer down. I'v already reformatted the hard drive with zero's and put windows XP on it but i dont think XP is good for Guest account and i cant find a manager section from XP so i can limit what he can change/do on the computer. Basically i just want to install the games hes going to play and lock it down so he can only browser the web and play his games i dont even want him to be able to download files (if possible).

please help!

Relevancy 58.48%

Lenovo G550
Windows 7 Professional
3 GB Ram

I enabled the "Guest" user for my son to use when he visits, but when he tries to log on as "Guest" the message: "The User Profile Service service failed the login" appears.

I disabled Guest and re-enabled, but still the same message.

I created a user name just for him as a standard user, but when he logs on as "Joe", the same thing happens. I created 4-5 other accounts, some standard users, some administrators, but can't log on to any of them.

I have no trouble logging on as myself (administrator).

After searching the forums I find similar issues in Vista, but not for Windows 7, and the registry entries seem to be different in Vista and I don't want to try the fixes in Windows 7.

When I go to C:\Users\ the other accounts I set up, are not listed, just mine.

Any suggestions?

A:Can't log onto guest account

See this tutorial on how to fix this problem. It'll work with win7 also.

The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded. - Vista Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/79132-cant-log-onto-guest-account.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi, i have windows xp home, a while back i turned on the "guest" account, i don't need it on anymore, when going to control panel / user accounts, it is not showing, the guest account disappeared. how can i turn it off then? thanks.

A:guest account

Hi Junrbio,

When logged in an account that has Administrator rights, please go to Start -> Run -> Type 'cmd' without the quotation marks and press enter.
Now a black screen with white writing should come up. Once this is up type in ... "net user guest /active:no" (NO QUOTATION MARKS).

If this doesn't work, get back to me

Poyol

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/guest-account-515564.html
Relevancy 58.48%

A friends computer has his account and a guest account (login) on his computer.How can I create a guest account?

Relevancy 58.48%

i have about 6 accounts or profiles on the computer but when i go to the guest account the modem isnt there

i wonder why

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/the-guest-account.724438/
Relevancy 58.05%

My folders and files in C:/users/myname/ can be viewed and accessed from the Guest user account. How do I stop this?

A:Files in my user account can be accessed from guest user account in VISTA

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/files-in-my-user-account-can-be-accessed-from-guest-user-account-in-vista.805452/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi,

I have managed to do this before - but now i have forgot what to do - I want the Guest account to be able to access the internet and network connections and to be able to connect to other machines, to access files and folders.

Cheers in advance.

Relevancy 57.62%

I have just enabled the Guest account on my laptop with the idea that it is completely secure from my account but it isn't really working for me. It seems to act as any other account and remembers details of the previous log-on.

Is there some way I can allow a Guest user to access internet, print (and nothing else really but it doesn't matter) and then after they have finished whatever they have done is destroyed so next time there is nothing in downloads, nothing on desktop, no preferences or log-ins saved in browsers etc. Like the temporary profile you get on occasion.

Any ideas?

A:How do I set up a real Guest account?

You probably want to use:
Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing
or
Shadow Defender - the easiest PC/laptop security and privacy protection tool. However, both are paid programs

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/53749-how-do-i-set-up-real-guest-account.html
Relevancy 57.62%

When I start up Windows 8, it only shows the option to logon to my administrator account. I have a guest account that is active but it won't even show it at the login screen. How do I change this?

A:How to logon to a guest account

try here in the control panel guest account on /off

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/how-to-logon-to-a-guest-account-827250.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I am in dire need of accessing my administrative account. I am an online student and my works are here. I cannot access this account with password or simple pass. Please help!!!

Relevancy 57.62%

I am almost done cleaning up a home computer for a coworker I have question regarding the guest account I was thinking about trying to delete it Account Home XP Guest In entirely and so I strated doing some research on it and came across a site regarding quot Guest Account In XP Home disabling quot the guest account I stated that in Guest Account In XP Home XP Home that the guest account is never truly disabled and if there were a way to force it that it would create a lot of problems since it involves some rudimentary ways in which XP Home works I am going to heavily password it but I was wondering if it was also possible to rename the account and if doing so would also create problems Also it seemd that it was talking more about networking The user is using a dialup would this make a difference Guest Account In XP Home Well I have one more question regarding SP I have been working pretty hard at tweaking her security settings through various means including hacking the registry SP is getting close to being fully downloaded while I am working online What would happen to all of this work if I were to go through with the sp install If it were to undo my changes is there a way to save my settings Thanks nbsp

A:Guest Account In XP Home

You will have system restore to fall back on if needed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/guest-account-in-xp-home.282506/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi. I am a bit surprised; today I created a guest account for win 8.1. For some reason it took over all the programs of the main account. Why would a guest account not be more restrictive? When I deleted a couple of the shortcuts, it also deleted them in the main account. Is there no way around this? Maybe all my progs were created with the 'All users' option. I didn't realize that; but I had never seen that before in other Windows versions. Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks in advance.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/66559-guest-account-has-too-many-programs.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello,
Problem:
I have a good one for you.
When I log onto the Guest Account, There is a problem with Adobe Reader.
Tha problem ONLY shows up when logging onto Guest.
During Logon, I get these messages.

1) Startup Launcher
Runtime Error ?75?
Path/File Access Error

2) READER_SI>EXE Application Error.
The Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022)
Click OK to Terminate Application

Any thoughts?
Joe

A:Probleem with Guest Account

Follow up:
When logged onto Guest, The File extensions for Adobe Reader are missing.
The .EXE is missing from READER_SI.EXE.
Not sure what other programs are affected.
J

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/probleem-with-guest-account-162329.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I crashed but now everything is back in working order except the Guest account; logging on as Guest always get a TEMP account. I have tried deleting all C:/User/Guest... files but the system just rebuilds the bad stuff. Any help?

A:Corrupted Guest Account

Merry Christmas
Try to repair with an SFC
If errors are found run 3 more times
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/133132-corrupted-guest-account.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi I m having a fairly aggravating issue with the Guest account on my secondary laptop Vista bit Business edition I turned on the Guest account so that a friend could use it and it is now seriously infected with malware Digital Protection It is confined to the Guest account and I have attempted to remove it using a number of methods This set of instructions http www bleepingcomputer com virus-remo ital-protectionProblem cannot wipe to guest it the Is possible account? enter the guest account in safe mode following error quot Windows could not connect to the Sens service Please contact your system administrator quot Google was Is it possible to wipe the guest account? startlingly unhelpful so I Is it possible to wipe the guest account? entered the admin account in safe mode but Malware Bytes does not detect the infection on the Guest account This set of instructions http www bleepingcomputer com virus-remo e-security-toolI chose this as an alternative as google results suggested rkill as a means to help remove Digital Protection Problem rkill Run as Administrator terminates conime exe but the scare-tactic pop-ups continue Running Malware Bytes immediately after the rkill results in the computer restarting itself halfway through the scan regardless of my attempts to cancel the restart I assume this is due to the malware attempting to protect itself Removing the registry keys created by the virus This was stupid of me and I knew better I ended up having to repair a missing dll using the Vista install disc Ultimately the wear and tear on my patience is not worth further expended effort so I created another account for my friend to use The Administrator account continues to be unaffected I have attempted to research methods to completely wipe the Guest in order to purge the infection but I have discovered no way to do so and it isn t possible to delete a built-in account which I attempted through administrator tools For now the guest account is disabled but I am uncomfortable with the idea of the malware simply being shunted off to the side rather than removed Any suggestions would be most welcome Thank you

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/309506/is-it-possible-to-wipe-the-guest-account/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi,
I am using vista ultimate,
my guest account is not workin and showing message while login as
group services failed to login ...access denied..
i remember i screwed up this account by deleting some files from my document sorry but now i want to reactivate this account .

is it possible to delete and recreate it with default settings?
i dont have any importtant data in that account....
but i dont want to restore whole system as its having hell amount of imp data in it..

could any1 suggest how to repair or recreate this account ?

thank you

Relevancy 57.62%

My exisiting Windows 8.1 machine ( dell precision 390) logs me in lately with Guest Account only. And thus, I cannot or am not allowed to change or modify any events (as an Admin is allowed). Thus, cannot change any parts related to the Administrator!
For the same reason, i cannot upgrade to Windows 10, as a Guest!!! Please advice. much thnx for a well designed, planned and organized site!. luv it. -rajs

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/70175-logs-me-lately-guest-account-only.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi, my name is Tyler and I am new to this forum. I'm having this problem with my Dell Inspiron 530, operating on Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2, 64 bit.
I've tried using the command prompt, the elevated command prompt. I've tried using my Vista boot disc, giving me an error such as "You must be an administrator to install Windows." This is all very confusing to me why this is working for others and not myself :L

I would appreciate if anyone helped me soon. Thank you.

A:I'm limited to a guest account

Hello TDX, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Are you logged in as an administrator?

Open the Control Panel (classic view), click on the User Accounts icon, and check to see what type of user account you have.

You will not be able to open a elevated command prompt, enabled the built-in Administrator, or install anything like Windows unless you are logged in as an administrator.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/287173-im-limited-guest-account.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I am using bit Windows Vista Home Premium Here s what happened My computer only had one user on it let s call it quot username quot It was admin I accidentally used NewSID to change the SID of username When I rebooted username became a guest level account and I couldnt guest?!?! a is account Administrator access user s old files In the User folder there are two folders quot username quot and quot username DOMAIN quot The former is the right one that I can no longer gain access to So I figured I would need admin privileges to access the username folder to backup my files I used the Trinity Rescue Kit Linux distro to change the password of the hidden Administrator account on vista to nothing So then I went on the Administrator account and it only has guest Administrator account is a guest?!?! privileges What do I do now Help please You can t open system restore except in the system repair menu and even then there are no restore points anyway nbsp

A:Administrator account is a guest?!?!

Bump. Does anyone even know to create or give a guest account administrator privileges? Because then I could at least backup my files.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/administrator-account-is-a-guest.767049/
Relevancy 57.62%

Good afternoon I was sent here from someone suggesting this site as a means to address my problem I upgraded Guest/admin help account to windows from a copy of windows I have about or days ago Yesterday I tried installing a new program and it prompted me for the admin password before I could click yes to continue with the intallation I tried going to the UAC options to get by but I need the admin password to continue Here I see also that my account is a guest account I'm not sure why this would be since it's the only account I have on the computer at all I'm pretty sure I know the admin password one of three or four passwords I use but I'm not sure where to try them to check When I'm Guest/admin account help prompted to enter it there's no input field that I can see tried to take screen shot but it doesn't seem to like that when it's in the screen dimmed UAC mode thing Can anyone throw me a bone and help me figure out what's going on here I can supply system specs or other information if you should need them Thanks for your time -xFieldMedic

A:Guest/admin account help

I’m not familiar with Windows 10 yet but my observations are

The reason you are being asked for an admin password is because you are not logged in as an admin account as you noticed you are in a Guest account
--- Have you tried Switch user so you can log in to your admin account?

On the snapshot you posted, check Manage another account
--- You will see your admin account show up

You can also check out

Windows 10: How to set up and configure users accounts
http://www.howtogeek.com/224847/how-to-set-up-and-configure-user-accounts-on-windows-10/

How to View Full Details of All User Accounts in Windows 10
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3443-user-account-details-view-windows-10-a.html

How to Check if User is a Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5387-local-account-microsoft-account-how-tell-windows-10-a.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/588520/guestadmin-account-help/
Relevancy 57.62%

hello I need some help on setting up a guest account I have done the part where I turned on the guest account and set the password for the admin account now I want to block the gust account account from seeing certain folders and executing certain prgrams I have programs installed in the quot program files quot directory that I don t want the guest account to use I tried to hide the folder but that option is greyed out I am not sure how to stop the guest from executing these programs I am not sure if I have to un-install the program and re-install the program under the a folder in the admin section of documentation and settings I also want to set up the internet to prevent the guest account from downloading executables and installing them on setting a up guest account the machine any help on seting the the guest account would be greatly appreciated setting up a guest account Also if you could let me know if there is anything that setting up a guest account I am missing in setting up the guest account setting up a guest account thanks in advance for the help nbsp

A:setting up a guest account

can anybody answer this?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-up-a-guest-account.600917/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have windows XPprofessional on m computer, and I recently decided to add a guest account on my computer for my cousins to log in under but it won't log on. The page blinks and it seems like it's going to go to desktop bit then it goes back to the first page where all the accounts are listed. When I made the account it didn't ask for a password and it didn't ask for one when I clicked on it to see if it would log on. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, can anybody help me?(Moderator edit: moved post to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/30931/my-guest-account-isnt-working/
Relevancy 57.62%

is there a way to make a certain folder not accessible to the guest user?

A:guest account question

Give this a try

Tip #232 - Password Protect Folders in XP

http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/232

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/guest-account-question.591086/
Relevancy 57.62%

So, a friend has a new HP laptop that came with Vista pre-installed. She has a Canon PIXMA printer and a HP DeskJet (I think) printer both working just fine but only from her personal account, which is an admin account. When she logs into the Guest account, she's not able to print.

Now, I haven't been able to sit down at the console myself to tinker but from our last phone support call, it sounds like there aren't any printers defined from the Guest account perspective, even though there are printers defined from the admin account perspective.

How do we enable printing from the Guest account? Or is this something the Guest account is simply not allowed to do? Must she defined a limited user account so non-admins can print?

Thanks!

Peace...

Relevancy 57.62%

My Windows pc has never been shared or set up to share with anyone Occasionally when my pc is chugging away doing something when I'm not using it which it always is I right-click on a program icon and under the 'security' tab there is an validity... Guest account S- - etc group name or user account Before I can right-click on the account to try to find out who or what it is it disappears I've been trying to look into this lately to see if someone's hacked into my computer to explain why it's so busy all the time Now I've gone into my User Accounts-Manage Accounts area and I see a Guest account that I never created that Guest account validity... is apparently turned off Should it be there If yes should it be renamed or have a password attached to it If no should I disable it for security reasons Does it have anything to do with the Guest account validity... disappearing user account I see all the time For my peace of mind I'd like to know more about this this Thanks

A:Guest account validity...

Quote: Originally Posted by Vorticonthe1st

My Windows 7 pc has never been shared or set up to share with anyone. Occasionally, when my pc is chugging away doing something when I'm not using it (which it always is), I right-click on a program icon and under the 'security' tab, there is an S-1-25, etc. group name or user account. Before I can right-click on the account to try to find out who or what it is, it disappears!

I've been trying to look into this lately to see if someone's hacked into my computer to explain why it's so busy all the time.
Now I've gone into my User Accounts-Manage Accounts area, and I see a Guest account that I never created, that is apparently turned off.

1) Should it be there?
2) If yes, should it be renamed or have a password attached to it?
3) If no, should I disable it for security reasons?
4) Does it have anything to do with the disappearing user account I see all the time?

For my peace of mind, I'd like to know more about this this. Thanks!

1- Yes
2-No it should be disabled unless using it.
3-Yes
4-No.

The mysterious GUID account probably is just system, or it may be your GUID (globally unique ID)

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/207553-guest-account-validity.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi
Do you use guest accout on your computer??
I mean, if I?m the only user of the computer, does it make sense to use a guest account instead of administrators for surfing in internet?

A:Is guest account really safer to use?

Surfing the internet does not matter if you are a guest, standard user or an administrator
As a administrator this is the only place you do not need an adiminstrator password to download software
You can get malware, spyware, viruses or trojans no matter what type of user you are
The safest way is to make sure you are running an antivirus program, and a antispwyare program and you are carefull where you go while you surf. You can also install WOT which is an addon on ie and firefox and Google Chrome
This will help to identify some of the bad sites (it is rated by regular users who have been burnt or not)

http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/20185-guest-account-really-safer-use.html
Relevancy 57.62%

i have a laptop with my password protected account. i also want to setup a guest account with restrictions like, only allowed to use firefox and cant use anything else. or a disabled start menu. is there anything like that out there?

thx for the help
tom

Relevancy 57.62%

Windows 8.1 had a guest feature you could enable or disable. I cannot find one on windows 10.

A:How do I make a guest account?

Right click the start icon, click on computer management, under the local users and groups own the users folder, right click the guest account and go to properties, uncheck account is disabled then hit apply, reboot.

Originally Posted by jpeg666

Windows 8.1 had a guest feature you could enable or disable. I cannot find one on windows 10.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/10385-how-do-i-make-guest-account.html
Relevancy 57.62%

When I recently setup a new computer, I somehow created a Guest user account which contains a number of files and installed programs, etc. I've tried to access the Guest to see what's in there but can't so I turned it off. What is the GA for? Does a Guest account take up space like my regular Ellen one? It is possible to copy what's in the GA to Ellen's and then delete GA? Working user accounts is so confusing.
I'm the only one who uses the computer and everything is backed up to external drives (Acronis, Macrium, EaseUS, etc.). Thanks for your help. ellenc

A:Guest user account

Hello Ellen,

A guest account is an account for users who don't have a permanent account on your computer or domain. It allows people to use your computer without having access to your personal files. People using the guest account can't install software or hardware, change settings, or create a password.

Guest Account - Turn On or Off

Since you don't plan on using the guest account and have turned it off, you can delete its "C:\Users\Guest" profile folder to gain back the bit of space it takes,

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/395645-guest-user-account.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I just tryed to log into the guest account for the first time so this what happens.
Im at the log in screen i click the guest icon it begins to log in then it says saving your settings and im back at the logon screen. Never even see the desktop.

How can i get into it and make it usable.

Relevancy 57.62%

How can restrict the Guest account in vista from running any executable file like .exe,.vbs,.bat etc?

A:Restrict the Guest account

I think your titles putting people off............... reply please would have been better

Try using Vistas built in parental controls you can do alsorts with that

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/225665-restrict-guest-account.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi I just wanted to ask if somebody knows how will I be able to use the Internet Download Manager with a Guest Account. I have admin privileges with this Guest Account but I can't still enable IDM with the internet browsers I use (Chrome and Firefox). Anybody knows how to fix this?

A:IDM Integration with Guest Account?

Guest accounts do not have Admin privileges. Right click the shortcut to Firefox or Chrome and Run As/Following User/Administrator

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/idm-integration-with-guest-account-652829.html
Relevancy 57.62%

My guest account is the admin. I can't change it back. I use the built-in administrator but it says "error 5 occurred" " Access Denied".

How can i change back to normal?

I have two accounts, one is for me and the other is from my sister. She don't want to reset back completely because she has many files that she don't wanna lose.

How I will fix it w/o losing the files? Please help me and I hope I'll get a respond to this matter.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/24166-my-guest-account-admin.html
Relevancy 57.62%

ok so i thought it would be a good idea to turn on guest account so people dont mess up mine little did i know that the guest account would have so many problems when i log in programs on the super bar have no icons and i can move my mouse but not click on anything my only way to navigate is through keyboard is there someway i can fix this please help

A:Guest Account not working

Keep in mind, the guest account (like any newly created account) has it's default settings. When you're logged into your own account, nearly everything you see on screen, including; task bar icons, desktop themes, gadgets, desktop icons, custom start menu, pinned items, colors, mouse speed, Pictures folders, documents folders, etc. All of those things belong to your own personal user profile and will not be displayed on other user accounts. Think of the two user accounts as two, totally different computers. Most user accounts are able to share installed applications, but that's about it. The two accounts don't share email, internet favorites, themes, libraries, and so on.
I don't have an answer to your mouse question, only that the mouse also has it's own settings for each user account.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/122474-guest-account-not-working.html
Relevancy 57.62%

i know you cant delete an guest account but i cant even find it im using windows safe mode cause i got locked out of my computer and i turned the guest account on from safe mode but when i go to turn it off its not there can some please help me? im using windows xp service pack 3 home edition if that helps

A:cant turn off my guest account

Hi. I also faced same problem with you. I found A way to turn off the guest account. Go to safe mode and create a new account(do not choose limited user when doing this), then restart your computer and enter the new account. Go to user account and turn off the guest account. After this, remember to delete the new account in safe mode. I wish this may help you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-turn-off-my-guest-account-272517.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Saw a thread on this , and it suggested i go to computer management and then local user folder and then users..and there i'd find the guest account and simply delete it. Thing is the Local User folder does not show up in my computer management window. Any way to have it show up, or is there another route I can take to delete the guest account?

A:Deleting Guest account

in the control panel click on user accounts
click on manage another account
click on the guest account
turn it off

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/deleting-guest-account-290122.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Last night i received a virus, and when trying to remove the virus (in safe mode) i changed the guest account to have admin priveleges and i removed the admin from my main account. I have removed this virus, and now i can't seem to change the name of my normal account, or return it to an admin. can anyone help?

Relevancy 57.62%

A while back I updated to windows from Win For the last while I have occasionally gotten an error on boot that says something like quot The windows Host Services has stopped working quot and when I close the error I get a black screen If I cntrl-alt-del I can restart the computer but the same error comes up If I instead Sign-Out instead of rebooting I am taken to the logon screen that has my main administrator account and a Guest remove account? Guest How to account If I logon using the main account everything is fine I don't remember setting up a guest account and I have no need for it I'm also not sure how things get messed up and how the guest account becomes active despite me never logging out of the main administrator account The strange thing is that if I go into User Accounts there is no guest account listed so I cannot remove the problem account Any thoughts as to what is going on or how to remove the problem guest account

A:How to remove Guest account?

Perhaps Windows Club's Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4[?] for Windows 10 might have a checkbox that removes the guest account. I assume the normal remove guest acct while in the admin acct is not working. Use UWT sparingly, or, you might be reaching for your Windows install DVD or your factory restore partition.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/62082-how-remove-guest-account.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I sometimes have family members that need to use my computer. I do not want them accessing my programs or documents on my PC so i figured i would turn on the guest account. The only thing is... I'm logged into the guest account and all of my installed programs are showing up on the start menu. When i let people use my computer i only want them to access certain programs and features that i have installed on my computer... such as Internet, Microsoft office... and - Well that's really it. I also do not want anyone installing any software to the pc. Wich way would be the most efficient way to set up the account this way? thanks in advance

A:Guest account questions

This partly has to do with how those programs were installed in the first place. Some programs have installation options to determine who has access to the program. I'm not familiar enough with it to give you detailed instructions, but you may find some ways to tailor the guest account's ability to access programs and functions with gpedit.msc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/67592-guest-account-questions.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I have 5 PC's set up, all identical HP builds. All are running Win 7 Home Premium. On one of them, I cannot print from the guest account. I can print just fine from the Admin account.

The printer is an HP 1505N networked printer.

I have checked the Security tab & permissions -- Everyone is set to PRINT. The printer shows up in the list, but you cannot print to it (the print button is greyed out).

I tried removing and reinstalling.

If I go to troubleshoot the printer, I get "An error occured while troubleshooting."

The only AV/Firewall program running Is Microsoft Security Essentials.

Again, this is only one 1 of the 5 PC's. Please help!

Screenshots:
http://imgur.com/yq9uY.png
http://imgur.com/3r0z7.png

A:Cannot print from Guest Account

Install the printer again on the admin account (then set to "default"). Usually problems are due to driver installations on standard user accounts.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/71659-cannot-print-guest-account.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I cannot log into the internet with a guest account in both of my computers using windows 7. I need help ..... thanks

A:no internet with guest account

Quote: Originally Posted by guspolit

I cannot log into the internet with a guest account in both of my computers using windows 7. I need help ..... thanks

Which version of Windows 7? Is this an RC or final? If this is a RC, the guest mode that MS was trying was unlike guest mode in Vista. It was more like "kid proof" mode. Here's some info: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/ff_pcsafeguard.asp

Why are you trying to access Internet with Guest? Logon as admin and then report back to us...

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/41448-no-internet-guest-account.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I have turned on the Guest account and I need to set program and folder access permissions I have google'ed the way to set file and folder permissions but I am having some difficulty with some of the things that I need For instance I need to -deny access just deny listing the directory structure can read restrictions account Guest amp write so apps can work to C Control Panel and a few other locations If I try to deny dir listing for Guest on root C it gives me a couple warnings and will not set permissions for quot program files Guest account restrictions program files x windows quot folders even though I am the admin After those initial issues it continues to set the permissions for all the rest of the files If I log into the guest now goto Computer and double click on C it now says quot access denied quot -- which is good -- BUT -- if I type in the address bar up top quot C users quot it will goto that location not display the access denied message What am I missing Edit I am using the Home Premium edition so I cannot use the Group Policy Editor

A:Guest account restrictions

This may be what you are looking for.
Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/190082-guest-account-restrictions.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi I was told to run a chkdsk/r command because my free space won't increase even after I delete files. The command didn't do what I was told it would do. Afterwards I discovered that a guest account had been created and I was signed out as a user and into the guest account. Although I later signed back in as a user I don't want the guest account how do I delete it? Thanks.

A:deleting guest account

Click Start Button then---Control Panel---User Accounts---Manage another account----Click on "Guest Account---Turn Off

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/598196/deleting-guest-account/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello,
When i first setup Win 7 pro 64 bit,i activated the guest account for my wife and daughter to use
but now i want them both to have some privileges
Files such as music,photos.
Is there an easy way of doing this?

A:guest account migration

Create a regular user account for each of them, and then use gpedit.msc to assign what privileges that each of them have.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/68459-guest-account-migration.html
Relevancy 57.62%

This never happened until recently, but whenever someone tries to sign into the guest account on my computer, it freezes before its even finished loading the desktop. I get a prompt to enable/disable using a TV as a monitor, but my video card doesn't support that feature and I couldn't even enable it if I wanted to. A few seconds after trying to sign in, everything completely freezes and I can't get anything to work except bring up the Task Manager, and if I use that to log off I'm okay.

If I need to use system restore, is this going to delete everything I've downloaded, etc. since that point or just restore important system files? I've never used it before so I'm not sure.

A:Guest account freezes on log-on

Have you tried to repair the guest account?

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8212

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/guest-account-freezes-on-log-on.698104/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi,
I have established a 'Guest' user account on my new PC (Windows XP Media Center edition) for use of the babysitter or anyone else staying so they can browse the web and check emails etc. I cannot set up an Internet connection for it. It works OK as long as I leave my broadband connection running, but will will not establish a connection from booting up. I can not set up a connection from 'Internet options' on the connections tab when in the 'Guest account' as is says 'not logged on as administrator'. Please keep any instructions 'simple' 'cos I'm not that good!
Regards,

Trev

A:'GUEST' internet account

A possible solution:http://www.andyrathbone.com/tips/guestdial.html
moper

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/guest-internet-account.539008/
Relevancy 57.62%

I'm trying to setup the guest account on my parent's computer (win 7 home basic in Portuguese), so they can allow my nephew to use it without the kid making a mess out of the computer.

My dad is nearly legally blind, so he runs his resolution at minimum (600x480 or thereabouts). And my nephew keeps changing it to the maximum. Is there a way to change the settings so that guest accounts do not have the option to change screen resolutions?

A:Guest account restrictions?

Hello Cyclinglemur, and welcome to Seven Forums.

After changing the screen resolution to what your parents like, you can disable the display settings using the tutorial below to prevent them from being changed again.

Display Settings - Enable or Disable

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/142899-guest-account-restrictions.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I have two accounts on my computer, running Windows XP: my account and a guest account. A lot of people use the guest account but recently it's stopped working. What happens is the desktop background shows up, but then the taskbar and such doesn't load. I've tried CTRL + ALT + DELTE to run explorer but nothing. Another thing to note is when I check my processes, it shows a huge amount of iexplore.exe's running and the CPU usage goes through the roof.

What's my problem? Thanks.

Relevancy 57.62%

If I delete the Guest account files, does Win 7 know to recreate them if I re-enable the Guest account?

A:Deleting Guest account

Quote: Originally Posted by Cluent

If I delete the Guest account files, does Win 7 know to recreate them if I re-enable the Guest account?

I think you can only disable the Guest account, not delete it. When it's disabled its state is saved. When enabled again, it is in the same state you disabled it in.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/40193-deleting-guest-account.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi,

I have enabled the guest account on my 7 ultimate. Whenever, I login as a guest, I am still able to see the C drive and all the folders under it (except admin account folder).

My requirement is that when any user logs in from the guest account and clicks on C drive, it should ask for the Admin password.

Please help with step by step instructions.

Nzyme

A:Windows 7 Guest Account

Changing File Permissions can be dangerous and should only be attempted if you know what you are doing. Especially with the root of your boot drive.

The way to do it would be to create a new user group called idiots, then adding the guest account to that group. Then only denying read access to the C: drive to the idiots user group. You will get some error messages when applying this to C:, be thankful for these error messages, without them the guest account would no longer work.

When the guest tries to Access C:\ for windows explorer they will receive an Access denied message.

This would not have a password override option.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/199026-windows-7-guest-account.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Win XP Home SP2
Recently wanted to turn on the Guest account so my grandson could use the computer w/o messing my stuff up ==Was able to turn the account on BUT It would NOT allow me to log-on saying it could not load the profile ?? Any ideas ?? permissions ?? == Dont believe it has anything to do with anti-virus or spyware but in any event the system is "clean" ===== Im the ONLY user

A:Guest Account Access

These might help.http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...w.mspx?mfr=truehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/300489

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/84503/guest-account-access/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi, I don?t know how, but it happens. I have two microsoft accounts, but these are only like standard users and only guest accout is set like administrator. There is no way to change it. I try safe mode, netplwiz but access denied.

Is there some other reason like clean install? Thank You for answer and sorry for my english...

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/23913-guest-account-administrator.html
Relevancy 57.62%

HP Mini running Win 7 starter.

After cleaning up malware and virus's everything seemed fine except under the guest account. Every .exe file that I try to run opens the "open with" box and doesn't let me run the program. All other users work fine. Is it possible to recreate the guest profile?
I know the guest account should be disabled and I have since done that, I would just like to fix the problem even though the account probably won't ever be used.
Thanks, Matt

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/398050/guest-account-problems/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have Windows XP SP2 and I don't use a password when booting up since I am the only user. I will be having company for a few days and want to set up the Guest Account.

To do this, will I have to set up a password for my User/Administrator account, and if so, how would I get rid of the password when the company leaves.

Many Thanks

Relevancy 57.62%

... and we didn't open it.

My SO thought that her daughter (aged 12) might have inadvertantly opened it, so I opened the account (no password) and checked the history. The history is full of porn sites -- tons and tons of it. Weirder, it has a history from last week (more porn), even though it did not exist last week.

So I reboot in safe mode so I can log in as administrator and delete this account. It does not appear as an account. I reboot in normal mode (or whatever it's called) and the guest account is there.

What's up with this? What can I do to get rid of it? Thanks in advance for any help -- I'm a child when it comes to this stuff.

Relevancy 57.62%

I want to make an account that sets itself to delete all files that have been downloaded by the user on sign out, and when you next sign in it the default files are loaded in again, with no files downloaded or internet history saved etc., still there. I'm leaving on a trip for two months and want to let my family let my PC, but don't trust them as they are known to download stupid things.

A:Set guest account limits

If you're using Windows 8 Professional you can use the Group Policy Editor (Windows Key + R, type gpedit.msc) - use the filter function to comb through the policies you need - and you could also prevent them from downloading, making changes to the OS, etc. - this would be your most comprehensive solution.

If you don't have Win Pro, or don't have the time to set policies, you could download something like CCleaner, it's free and easy to use, and set it to run at startup.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/50055-set-guest-account-limits.html