Windows Support Forum

HELP! Windows 2000 Domain and Windows 7 Accessing Shares

Q: HELP! Windows 2000 Domain and Windows 7 Accessing Shares

All I have a windows server that controls my windows domain I know I know I'm using old technology I have XP workstations that access network drives on the windows server Now I put my first Win Pro workstation on my network but I didn't join it to the windows domain I just want the win workstation to be able to map a drive from the 2000 Shares HELP! Accessing 7 Windows Windows and Domain windows server I've tried everything I mean everything net use z windows svr share USER user domainname net use z windows svr share USER domainname user Neither worked I also tried this Click start Type regedit Press enter In the left expand these folders HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Control HELP! Windows 2000 Domain and Windows 7 Accessing Shares In the left click on HELP! Windows 2000 Domain and Windows 7 Accessing Shares the folder named Lsa In the right double-click quot LmCompatibilityLevel quot Type the number and press enter Restart your computer Click Start Click Control Panel Click System and Maintenance Click Administrative Tools Double-Click Local Security Policy In the left pane click the triangle next to Local Policy In the left pane click Security Options In the right pane near the bottom double-click quot Network security LAN manager authentication level quot Click the drop-down box and click quot Send LM amp NTLM - use NTLMv session security if negotiated quot Click OK NONE OF THIS WORKED CAN ANYONE HELP ME

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: HELP! Windows 2000 Domain and Windows 7 Accessing Shares

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: HELP! Windows 2000 Domain and Windows 7 Accessing Shares

Quote: Originally Posted by sekondborn

All....
I have a windows 2000 server that controls my windows domain (I know, I know, I'm using old technology). I have 4 XP workstations that access network drives on the windows 2000 server. Now I put my first Win7 Pro workstation on my network, but I didn't join it to the windows domain. I just want the win7 workstation to be able to map a drive from the windows 2000 server.
I've tried everything! I mean, everything!

net use z: \\windows2000svr\share /USER:[email protected]
net use z: \\windows2000svr\share /USER:domainname\user

Neither worked...
I also tried this...

Click start
Type: regedit
Press enter
In the left, expand these folders: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\
In the left, click on the folder named: Lsa
In the right, double-click "LmCompatibilityLevel"
Type the number 1 and press enter
Restart your computer
Click Start
Click Control Panel
Click System and Maintenance
Click Administrative Tools
Double-Click Local Security Policy
In the left pane, click the triangle next to Local Policy
In the left pane, click Security Options
In the right pane near the bottom, double-click "Network security: LAN manager authentication level"
Click the drop-down box, and click "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"
Click OK

NONE OF THIS WORKED!

CAN ANYONE HELP ME!!!

Try using the settings outlined in the link below. The settings listed have been working to allow access into older servers from Windows 7 and 8 machines.

Solved W2K3 Server can access W8 W8 computer cant see W2K server

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/309353-help-windows-2000-domain-windows-7-accessing-shares.html
Relevancy 101.91%

All I have a windows server that controls my windows domain I know I know I m using old technology I have XP workstations that access network drives on the windows server Now I put my first Windows Pro workstation on my network but I didn t join it to the windows domain I just want the Windows workstation to be able to map a drive from the windows server I ve tried everything I mean everything net use z windows svr share USER email protected net use z windows svr share USER domainname user Neither worked I also Edition Windows Server Shares 2000 Accessing on Advanced Win7 tried this Click start Type regedit Press enter In the left expand these folders HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Control In the left click on the folder named Lsa In the right double-click quot LmCompatibilityLevel quot Type the number and press enter Restart your computer Click Start Click Control Panel Click System and Maintenance Click Administrative Tools Double-Click Local Security Policy In the left pane click the triangle next to Local Policy In the left pane click Security Options Win7 Accessing Shares on Windows 2000 Server Advanced Edition In the right pane near the bottom double-click quot Network security LAN manager authentication level quot Click the drop-down box and click quot Send LM amp NTLM - use NTLMv session security if negotiated quot Click OK NONE OF THIS WORKED CAN ANYONE HELP ME AND I ALSO TRIED THIS Using a command prompt and type the following net use z servername sharename USER domain user And I received the following error System Error has occured Access is denied I even tried to use the windows gui interface with no luck My Settings Local Security Policy Security Settings gt Local Policies gt Security Options Network security Minimum session security for NTLM SSP based including secure RPC clients No minimum Network security Minimum session security for NTLM SSP based including secure RPC servers No minimum Network security LAN Manager authentication level Send LM amp NTLMv session security if negoiated Is there something that I m missing or something else that I need to check nbsp

A:Win7 Accessing Shares on Windows 2000 Server Advanced Edition

HI

Instead of using commands from the prompt which you would have put in a login script in xp.
Can you just open windows and then see if you are able to connect directly by using \\servername\share-name.
If it prompts you with a window for a username and password then do this
1. put the username as domain\username
2. if 1 doesnt work try ipaddress\username
3. if both dont work then lookup the error code in eventviewer.

Let us know how it goes

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win7-accessing-shares-on-windows-2000-server-advanced-edition.1111466/
Relevancy 95.89%

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if there is a way to track which users are accessing files on the network.

For example, Bob has access to the sales folder, he opens a document called sales.txt.

Is there a place where this info is logged? Can I see when he accessed the file?

I am workin in a windows 2000 domain.

Thanks

A:Windows 2000 Domain--Tracking users and which files they are accessing?

I did find an auditing feature under the folder properties.

You right click the folder that you want to monitor and select properties, security, advanced, auditing, then add the user that you wish to monitor.

The results are listed in event viewer, under the security section.

I guess this does accomplish what I am asking, but it seems very tedious.

I'm still up for better suggestions.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-domain-tracking-users-and-which-files-they-are-accessing.547676/
Relevancy 83.42%

I'm going to start by providing all of the basics Computer Group quot A quot Any Windows PC all running Professional Computer Group quot B quot Any Windows XP PC and Computer Group quot C quot Any Windows Vista PC are all connected to the Internet and are on the same subnet All computers from group B can ping all computers from group C and vice versa They also can communicate through windows file sharing with absolutely no problem All computers from Group A absolutely will not see group B in the network list and group A computers will not ping group B computers by host name However if I type in a known IP address for a from Windows shares Accessing file 7 XP computer in group B this works fine This same thing happens in reverse B to A Basically what I have seen so far Accessing XP file shares from Windows 7 is that Windows is having problems accessing network shares from other Accessing XP file shares from Windows 7 OS's I have literally tried almost every suggestion I have found about Windows Windows XP file sharing to no avail I have network discovery turned on for the Windows machines I have file and printer sharing turned on for the Windows machines I have enabled sharing for devices that use or bit encryption on the Windows machines I have tried turning off password protected sharing on the Windows machines I have also enabled quot Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers quot On the XP machines I have disabled Simple File Sharing I have tried clearing DNS caches and ARP tables I have tried using nslookup to find a machine to no avail I have disabled all Windows and rd party firewalls on both groups In summary file sharing works perfectly fine between XP and Vista machines Windows can access Vista machines But Windows cannot access XP machines Thank you for your time and any help you have to offer

A:Accessing XP file shares from Windows 7

Which is strange because I set up file sharing with my old XP machines countless times, even before Windows 7 was in the final build and it always worked perfectly for me.

I only needed to make sure they were using the same workgroup name then I ran the XP network connection wizard on the XP machines and went through the permission settings for the folders I wanted to share and all done. Sometimes you need to disable simple file sharing on XP pro machines but it looks like you have already tried that.

I think it's important to point out that just about any type of A/V software or third party firewalls can and will cause problems with sharing. You will either need to reconfigure the third party firewall or disable or even uninstall completely which ever A/V or third party firewall you are using. Don't blame me I'm just passing along the facts...

If it's just a set up problem the links below should be helpful.
Sharing files and printers with different versions of Windows - Help & How-to - Microsoft Windows

Networking home computers running different versions of Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/128445-accessing-xp-file-shares-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Hello I have a Surface Pro running Windows At home I have a Windows domain network I do not want to put my Surface on my domain but I do file from 8.1 domain access Cannot Windows shares want to access file Cannot access domain file shares from Windows 8.1 shares and printers on my domain network If I open Windows Exporer and navigate to servername I can see all the printers and file shares However if click on any of them I get a quot Network Error quot dialog that says nbsp I do not have permissions to access the share I would expect to see a login dialog where Cannot access domain file shares from Windows 8.1 I can enter my domain account I've tried every Cannot access domain file shares from Windows 8.1 thing nbsp I can think if Turned on file sharing discovery for all network types disabled Windows Firewall etc I've tried using quot net use quot from the command line to login mapping one of the shares as a drive set my nbsp WiFi network connection to Private Nothing works I've been using Windows machines for years and this is the first time I've had this situation If I bring my Windows nbsp laptop home from work which is on my work domain not my home domain I can navigate to and login to my home domain resources no problem I just have to enter my credentials Does anyone have any ideas why this machine is behaving different What do I need to do to get this to work Thanks -Scott

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4bd0c1ad-de6a-452b-b047-5c8c31fff4f1/cannot-access-domain-file-shares-from-windows-81?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 82.13%

hi all, i have a windows 7 home premium laptop at work. i have been trying to access domain (2008 r2) shares for few days with no success. i tried changing the settings in advanced sharing centre, tried editing registry, tried creating a same domain account on laptop, joining the laptop to a workgroup same as domain name, disabled IPv6, connected through wireless, wired, with dhcp, without dhcp etc.. For my utter surprise, i find no luck with these... could someone please help me. i can ping the server with ip and name. there is another laptop in our company with home premium which is accessing all shares. let me know if u need more info. thanks

A:windows 7 home cant access domain shares

Quote:

...joining the laptop to a workgroup same as domain name...

If I understand you correctly, there's your problem. Your laptop is joined to a workgroup, not a domain. That's a different thing altogether. You must join the laptop to the domain which has the shares you want to access.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-home-cant-access-domain-shares-564009.html
Relevancy 80.84%

Hello I have a laptop with Windows Windows registered at Domain not shares home on XP to can 7 a acees from work registered to Windows 7 registered to a Domain can not acees shares on XP at home the domain from my company At home I have a desktop with XP with shares on it When I bring the laptop home and try to access the shares on the desktop I am asked to enter user and pass ok I use the admin account on that desktop the Seven shows me the list of shares Very good you might say That is so until you try to enter the shares when it pops a quot network error quot quot Windows cannot acess xp-desktop share You do no have permission to access xp-desktop share Contact your network administrator to request access quot What access These are full shares for the admin account used to authenticate I have a third machine with Seven on it this time a personal machine not registered to a domain and with this one I can properly access the shares mentioned earlier Also my laptop from work can properly access shares from my work place and shares on the personal laptop with Seven on it So this issue happens only when trying to access shares on XP at home What am I missing

A:Windows 7 registered to a Domain can not acees shares on XP at home

I would try going onto the XP Machine, and giving everyone full control of the share you're trying to access, and see if that solves it. If it does, I would recommend then going back to the XP Machine, and replacing everyone with the specific user account from the laptop (I believe you can specify your laptop's user account and domain when "adding" someone to the list of allowed users).

If the first bit doesn't help, post back and we'll explore other avenues.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/151157-windows-7-registered-domain-can-not-acees-shares-xp-home.html
Relevancy 76.54%

We have recently re-installed windows 2000 on a server that had crashed. Clients who are members of other domains fail to browse the the server. They are denied access. I get an NT-Authority /system/logon fail event id 537 or event id 16650

A:Windows 2000 denies browsing of shares from o

Do you have a trust established?EEOC

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-2000/windows-2000-denies-browsing-of-shares-from-o/65731.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hello I am using a domain-joined laptop with Windows Professional at work Now I am trying to integrate it into my home network which consists mainly of a Windows XP Professional SP desktop After enabling a guest account and sharing on the WinXP machine I am able to access shared folders on the WinXP desktop from the Win laptop which is not too bad However I was not able to access shared folders on the Win laptop from the WinXP PC not even after enabling all advanced sharing features and disabling the firewall Both using the computer name HAL and the IP address gives me a quot Windows cannot find quot error Pinging the Win laptop works though I wouldn t like to leave the domain to join the local workgroup and am not desperate enough for a dual boot installation or other major work-arounds I have come across especially since sharing the other way around works But maybe some of you guys have a suggestion what else I could try Thanks a lot for your help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-domain-joined-windows-7-laptop-from-xp-workgroup-pc.954751/
Relevancy 74.39%

I'm setting up a server at work and I really don't know the ins and outs of security settings etc.. So this is a pet project of mine.

Basically, I want any computer (regardless of network name) to be able to access a share, but be prompted for a user name and password to open the directory.

Usually (it would seem), Windows 2000 just plain old denies access to anyone who does not have user account ont he server. If I can get it to prompt for a user name /pass before this, then that will serve my purposes quite nicely.

A:Ask users for login/pass to access network shares in Windows 2000?

I believe the NET command in XP/2k permits passing a username/login.

Also, when mapping a network drive to a network share, you have the option of putting in a user/pass.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ask-users-for-login-pass-to-access-network-shares-in-windows-2000.4158/
Relevancy 73.96%

HI.
I'm new to windows. I have 6 Windows 2000 servers, and lots of Windows 2000 Workstations. I'm cool with 2000. I have a couple of Windows NT workstations left. On Windows 2000, I can click My Network Places, then click Entire network, then click search for computers. I put the IP address of the file server, and boom it pops up. But Windows NT has a Network Neighborhood icon, and I can't search for computers in there. Just need help on how to search for computers. I have a firewall, so you can't see the Network. Thanks

A:{Advice Offered} - Accessing Windows 2000 Server from Windows NT.

Anewbie,

In Windows NT 4.0 you can search for a computer by clicking Start, Find, computer.
Type in the name or IP address.

Roger

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-accessing-windows-2000-server-from-windows-nt.29436/
Relevancy 70.95%

How do you deploy a program to everyone in a DOMAIN so it will automatically install onto the users computer without going to every computer installing it manually?
Can you deploy an icon to everyones computer and have them double-click it and then it will install...

Thanks much!

A:Windows 2000 Domain

A login script, policy setting, or an SMS deployment would be some options.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-domain.307655/
Relevancy 70.95%

hears my problem have a 2k server iis instaled runing dsl all ways conected to internet but have a dynamic ip am looking for a cheap and eazy way off geting a dynaic dns service that alows me to have my oun email. ftp and htp tryed tzo but am looking for something eather better any one have any ideas that will helpme out i thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!! also what program would any one recomend wouldlike to asess my computer via a laptop (xp home ) to my network thanks in advance

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-domain-on-the-web.74391/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi all,
I have an office with windows xp pro in a workgroup and another office with a win2k domain.
I established a VPN connectino to the domain, but when I go to map drives, I keep getting prompted for my password??

No firewalls
Shows I'm connecting to the domian, but ea time I put in my password, it just pops up agian.

I've used the "login as different user" as well, no luck

Any ideas???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-client-vpn-to-windows-2000-domain.107291/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hello Everyone We are trying to add a new computer on a Windows domain but we are getting the below error whenever we add domain? to Cannot 2000 Windows computers do so Note This information is intended for a network administrator Cannot add computers to Windows 2000 domain? If you are not your network's administrator notify the administrator that you received this information Cannot add computers to Windows 2000 domain? which has been recorded in the file C WINDOWS debug dcdiag txt DNS was successfully queried for the service location SRV resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain DOMAIN COMThe query was for the SRV record for ldap tcp dc msdcs DOMAIN COMThe following domain controllers were identified by the query main server DOMAIN COMsecondrydomain DOMAIN COMCommon causes of this error include - Host A records that map the name of the domain controller to its IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses - Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or are not running For information about correcting this problem click Help Any ideas or suggestions how to fix this Thanks in advanced Arnel

A:Cannot add computers to Windows 2000 domain?

Have you checked that your DNS servers have the correct records? Presumably they are Windows DNS servers.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-2000/cannot-add-computers-to-windows-2000-domain/66366.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I have a Windows 2000 server not a domain controller in an NT4 domain. Problem is that I can see the machine account in server manager on the PDC but it is greyed out and it does not appear in the Network Neighbourhood either. I have all the correct WINS and DNS entries and I can ping the 2000 server machine name from the PDC and ping the PDC machine name from the 2000 server.

I have removed the macine account from the NT Domain and readded it but still greyed out. Anyone any ideas.

Cheers

A:Windows 2000 server in NT Domain

Have you tried to connect to shared drives on the 2k machine? If you can, then you have no problem except that NT does not acurately dipict the server in server manager. This may be due to the new dynamic DNS type messages that 2k uses that NT doesn't understand. The only problem I have had with this type of setup is when the 2k server is the print server. Some print drivers don't want to print from NT4 machines to a 2k print server.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-server-in-nt-domain.71637/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi I recently took a laptop off our work domain and used it on a Issue Windows Domain 2000 workgroup All was fine until I attempted to reconnect to the domain While the laptop boots fine gets an IP address and DNS server using our DHCP Windows 2000 Domain Issue server and with a user name and password can access our server held accounts when logging in you are forced to login as the local administrator the domain isn t reachable displayed I ve tried moving the laptop back to the domain by specifying the domain under Network Identification Properpties but when I ve tried to do so I m told the Domain does quot not exist or is not reachable quot Things I think aren t the problem based on hour Googling of the symptoms I m logged in as the Local Machines Administrator so I should have a problem defining the change The DNS server is running fine and reachable by the Local machine and all DHCP services seem fine evidenced by nslookup s of various other machines and the domain itself and ipconfig info Any help would be vastly greatly appreciated as this is my first Network job post-grad and am incredibly wet behind the ears nbsp

A:Windows 2000 Domain Issue

Have you found the difficulty? I'm having a similar problem with a win2k laptop that stopped finding the server. We thought that it was a faulty network card, replaced it, but the computer could still NOT see the network.

The computer does see the network card however. I keep getting a DNS error when I try to hook it up.

AMRS

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-domain-issue.266989/
Relevancy 70.09%

Is it possible to change the domain name in Win2K without breaking anything?

I have the FAQ for doing this in NT 4.0, but it says it is ONLY for NT 4.0.

If I can't do this, I'm gonna have to redo the server from scratch - argh! :-(

Anyone have any good news?

Thanks

Simon

A:Changing Domain Name in Windows 2000

I have w/o any major pains. That's assuming it's a private domain. Just make sure any other systems that reference that domain are changed as well.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-domain-name-in-windows-2000.29219/
Relevancy 70.09%

Not sure what Forum (thread) this should be under so can someone help me out here or tell me where to post this...

What I have now is a Windows 2000 Domain with single-label dns names.....

I want to take a Windows 2000 Domain called: <computer name>.CAPH
and change it to a Windows 2000 Domain called: <computer name>.<company name>.com

Is this anyway possible and if so how hard is it to do?

I appreciate any help...
Thanks!

A:Not sure what Forum this should be in: Windows 2000 Domain

You can add A records to your DNS records to accomplish this.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/not-sure-what-forum-this-should-be-in-windows-2000-domain.316551/
Relevancy 70.09%

Ok on my laptop i can access regular websites but I am not able to access secured websites or my aim account. First off I checked the computer for viruses and spyware and it seems to be fine and also i tried to repair IE and even reset all the defaults. We did all these little configurations that i found on google but it seems not to be working. I also tried to download firefox and wont load up at all. Makes no sense. Thanks for helping

Relevancy 69.66%

Here is my situation:

A user running windows 2000 on an NT4 domain joins a win2000 domain of the same name. How do I keep his local user settings (desktop, my documents, outlook etc.) from beginning anew?

A:Windows 2000 user joins new domain

Greetings

Try set him up with a roaming profile.

Open up User Manager for Domains, select his user account and open it.

Click on the Profile button and edit his profile like shown below (substituting the words server, share, username for the actual names)

Then copy his profile out of "c:\Documents and Settings" on his HD to that share.

Then do the same for the Win2000 server, and copy the profile to a server on that domain.

See what happens...

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-user-joins-new-domain.28661/
Relevancy 69.66%

I have a Windows 2000 domain with a single PDC.

Recently I installed another machine as Windows 2000 Server and I want it to be a domain controller.

So I ran the Dcpromo utility and joined it to my present Active Directory and made sure that all objects from the old server were replicated. Then I took the old server offline to see if this new server would take over. But it did not.

What do I have to do if I want the new server to be a Domain Controller instead of the old one?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-domain-controller-issue.276394/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi,

I want to configure a domain in windows 2000 server could anyone please send me the steps to do that. It will be very helpful to me.

Awaiting for the reply.

Thanks for your valuable time.

A:Domain Configuration in windows 2000 server

You would be better served buying a book or two on the subject, it is a far too complicated process that cannot be explained in a forum.

You probably can find used books on Amazon for cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Win...B00005U4UY/ref=pd_sim_b_1/102-2850957-5263328

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/domain-configuration-in-windows-2000-server.744577/
Relevancy 69.66%

hey
i have a peculiar problem

i have a windows 2000 server managing a domain through active directory
all clients are windows xp

i created a group policy in active directory and applied to an organizational unit containing users and computers

but those security settings are not being applied on xp clients
only the logon script is executed

to check, i applied the group policy on the whole domain
immediately that policy was applied on the server itself ( since it was within the domain )
but the policy is not applie on xp clients

is it that i require 2003 server to manage xp clients

please help me

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-domain-security-policy.265097/
Relevancy 69.66%

hey
i have a peculiar problem

i have a windows 2000 server managing a domain through active directory
all clients are windows xp

i created a group policy in active directory and applied to an organizational unit containing users and computers

but those security settings are not being applied on xp clients
only the logon script is executed

to check, i applied the group policy on the whole domain
immediately that policy was applied on the server itself ( since it was within the domain )
but the policy is not applie on xp clients

is it that i require 2003 server to manage xp clients

please help me

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-domain-security-policy.265097/
Relevancy 69.66%

I have 2 domain controllers, a primary and a secondary. The primary machine is breaking down and I am going to retire it.

I need to install DNS and DHCP on the secondary server, and promote it to the primary. In what order do you recommend?

Do I demote the first, promote the second and them move DNS and DHCP?

Thanks for any advice
Gary

A:WIndows 2000 Server Domain Demotion

Adprep /forestprep and then dcpromo. Here is an MS paper on the procedure:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=331161

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-server-domain-demotion.469875/
Relevancy 69.23%

Heyas I have recently installed windows Pro on my computer after a lot of trouble even getting it to work w o having fatas errors Its up and running now though but after installing my drivers for nvidia GT i cant seem to access my quot Windows advanced Pro on graphic accessing settings 2000 GEForce GT quot Tab under my advanced display settings it loads all the other tabs such as Adapter Monitor Color Management accessing advanced graphic settings on Windows 2000 Pro etc but it wont bring up my settings so that I can enable things like SLI I have two GTs in SLI format and ready to go Ive tried multiple drivers and all of them wont let me access this tab I currently am using service pack for win k because I cant seem to get the windows updater working either quot sigh quot EDIT - I switched to windows in the first place because I kept getting nv disp looping error with windows xp i just cant seem to win with nvidia nbsp

A:accessing advanced graphic settings on Windows 2000 Pro

Have you checked if HardWare Acceleration is at maximum under the Troubleshooting Tab of the Advanced settings from Display Properties?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-advanced-graphic-settings-on-windows-2000-pro.444671/
Relevancy 69.23%

I am over my head I set-up a FTP site on Windows server so two remote users could access files on the Server I have a static IP address for the site These help site 2000 a Server FTP Windows in Need accessing created two people who need access previously had static IP Address to the server They would type in a web site address which would then request an IP Address They then logged on the site that way with a username and password They let the hosting service expire for the web site and stopped paying for the static IP Address Now my friends want to to have access to the Server again I set up a FTP Site on the Windows Server First time for me doing that The Properties of the FTP site can be viewed by clicking on the attached web Need help accessing a FTP site created in Windows 2000 Server site I can ping the Static IP Address successfully When I enter in FTP static ip address lt enter gt my browser tells me it has timed out Any suggestions on how I can get it so that the two people with passwords and permissions i think can get a sign on page to access the FTP site would be super appreciated Having never done this please make no assumptions I love your help http s photobucket com albums jj friendlydog action view amp current Tab jpg nbsp

Relevancy 69.23%

I have four systems three are win and one is win k All of the win systems can see each other fine and all systems are in the 2000 windows Problem from share win7 accessing same workgroup Win k has a shared drive and folders with permissions set to quot Everyone quot I have put this key into the registry on my win Problem accessing windows 2000 share from win7 system HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services NetBT Parameters DhcpNodeType value set to I can always ping the win k machine from a cmd prompt and get a good response I can sometimes access the shared items however other times a get a box asking for a user password When I input what I know to be the pw it says bad user name pw Here is what really perplexes me When I logoff of the win machine and log right back on I can access the win k machine without any problem This lasts for a while and then reverts to the login problem One other item When I logoff of the win Problem accessing windows 2000 share from win7 machine then log back in the view of the win k share is changed from quot List quot to tiles I can change it back without problems however the next time I do this it is back to tiles nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-accessing-windows-2000-share-from-win7.1036923/
Relevancy 68.8%

at work we're using a Windows 2000 server as our DC. We have rolled
out our first Vista laptop, and we're having trouble getting it to join the
domain.

When I try adding the computer to the domain I get the following error: "The
format for the specified network name is invalid".

I am typing in the domain name correctly, and the computer name is simply
the user's last name.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A:Join Vista Business to Windows 2000 Domain

Are you making this entry in the "Workgroup" or the "Domain" box?

Also is there another computer for this user already on the network with the same user name?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/join-vista-business-to-windows-2000-domain.675470/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi everyone first post here I am a bit stumped I was tasked with moving a bunch of user files over to a new computer and it didn't come out right The old computer was Windows Pro the new computer is Windows XP Pro All user accounts are domain accounts on a server but all files are stored locally on the workstation they are currently logged in to Anyway I logged in the box as an admin and copied all the user folders in the quot Documents and Settings quot folder on the C drive I moved these over to another computer for safekeeping After I got the XP box imaged and ready to go I copied the user folders over to the XP box Domain XP Moving Files to Windows User from 2000 in the quot Documents and Settings quot folder I set up all the DNS stuff etc I had a user log in with his domain account and all looked good until I had him try to access his files When he clicked on quot Documents Moving Domain User Files from Windows 2000 to XP and Settings quot it just took him to the long list of all the users and their personal folders Obviously I did something wrong but I'm not sure what There was no option for a quot My Documents quot folder or such things like that on the C drive without going to the quot Documents and Settings quot folder finding the right user and then navigating through that folder to find quot My Moving Domain User Files from Windows 2000 to XP Documents quot Any help with how to rectify the situation Moving Domain User Files from Windows 2000 to XP would be appreciated

A:Moving Domain User Files from Windows 2000 to XP

Hi Bishop,

Can you check the following registry entries :

HKLM/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/CURRENTVERSION/EXPLORER/DOCFOLDERPATHS

There should be the path My Documents references to.

Remember to take backups before changing anything in the registry.

Kind regards,

Stumpy

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/moving-domain-user-files-from-windows-2000-to-xp-225622.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I am moving a NT 4.0 Terminal server to a Windows 2000 domain from the current NT 4.0 domain. What is the best way to do this for a server? Is it the same procedure as for a workstation? This server is also a Citrix server.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moving-nt-4-0-terminal-server-to-windows-2000-domain.257484/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hiya

Windows 2000 LDAP function could allow an attacker to change domain user passwords

Microsoft Windows 2000 with the LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) server configured to support LDAP over SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) sessions could allow a remote attacker to change passwords for domain user accounts. This vulnerability occurs because a LDAP function that allows the modification of data does not check user permissions before performing tasks. An attacker could use this vulnerability to gain access to the domain with the privileges of other domain users, including possibly the domain administrator

http://xforce.iss.net/static/6745.php

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-ldap-function-could-allow-an-attacker-to-change-domain-user-passwords-ju.48591/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi everyone!
Noticed, that if I try to access a shared folder located on domain computer from non-domain computer, typing \ \ computername\sharename, pop-up authentication window appears after some time (30-80 sec). But, if I type \\computername  without pointing
sharename, pop-up authentication window appears instantly.
If I run created shortcut for this share - pop-up authentication window appears instantly.
I can easily reproduce this problem, it appeared on all machines I was testing.

Can it be fixed somehow? In my scenario, I can not use net use cmd.
Thanks.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cad57344-0d3d-433f-b3f8-df6187ddbbf4/accessing-domain-shared-folder-from-nondomain-computer?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 64.93%

Ive seen various posts about 7 home premium not connecting to network shares. I have 2 new boxes up on my network on the domain. They are running 7 Pro 32bit and they can connect to all of my network shares excxept for 1, my snap server. I have litterally tried everything i have been able to find pertaining to this issue. Ive enabled all of the Kerberos ciphers and have changed lan manager to Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated.

Im running out of ideas and these boxes need to go into production by middle of next week. Anybody have any ideas?

P.S. i also made sure the clock was set correctly on both machiens

A:Domain shares?

Have you tried Set the Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
Disable Require 128-bit encryption

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/130129-domain-shares.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I have two Windows 10 PCs on the same home network and I can't access the default shares on either one of them, I keep getting 'Access denied'.

Any ideas?

A:Accessing default shares

Originally Posted by WebMaximus

I have two Windows 10 PCs on the same home network and I can't access the default shares on either one of them, I keep getting 'Access denied'. Any ideas?

When you shared the folders, did you then go to the security tab to allow users?

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/13256-accessing-default-shares.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hello I have a DLink DNS- NAS device accessing NAS shares Error and since I have upgraded my laptop to Windows Enterprise bit I have problems accessing shares I am able to map a drive both manually as via Explorer but when Error accessing NAS shares I try to access the mapped drive I get an error quot An unexpected network error occurred quot See below an example from the commandline This happens in all situations - When a username and password are required for the share It does not matter whether the username and password are the same as a user on the laptop or a different one - When access to the Error accessing NAS shares share is open for quot ALL quot - Connecting via wireless and cable - Addressing the devide by IP address hostname and fully qualified hostname From another laptop with Windows XP PRO I still have access like I used to C gt net use z Docs user xxxxx The command completed successfully C gt z An unexpected network error occurred Please Help

A:Error accessing NAS shares

Quote: Originally Posted by TomTieDom

Hello,

I have a DLink DNS-323 NAS device and since I have upgraded my laptop to Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit I have problems accessing shares.

I am able to map a drive (both manually as via Explorer), but when I try to access the mapped drive I get an error "An unexpected network error occurred". See below an example from the commandline

This happens in all situations:
- When a username and password are required for the share. It does not matter whether the username and password are the same as a user on the laptop or a different one
- When access to the share is open for "ALL"
- Connecting via wireless and cable
- Addressing the devide by IP address, hostname and fully qualified hostname.

From another laptop with Windows XP PRO I still have access like I used to.

C:\>net use z: \\192.168.100.102\Docs /user:xxxxx
The command completed successfully.

C:\>z:
An unexpected network error occurred.

Please Help!

I suspect you are using "homegroup" for your networking. Homegroup is for win 7 only networks. Since yoou have XP on the network youo should be using "workgroup" for networking. there is a tutorial for leaving homegroup here. Homegroup - Leave
ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/61320-error-accessing-nas-shares.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I have a networked Windows 10 Pro computer A with built-in 'Administrator' account disabled. However, it has a "normal" administrator account named 'Admin'.

I would like to access administrative share '\\A\C$' from another computer B in the network. Windows asks me for access credentials. I enter 'Admin' and the corresponding password. This results in "access denied" error.

Hence the question: What's preventing the access?

My guesses are

1. (Unlikely: ) Administrative shares are accessible to the built-in 'Administrator' only.
2. (More likely: ) Administrative shares are accessible to a designated set of users and there's a way to control it. My homemade 'Admin' is not on the list.
3. (Most likely: ) Network access to administrative shares is completely disabled by default in Windows 10, but can be enabled somehow.
4. Something else?

A:Accessing administrative shares

Type the name of the computer you want to access and then the user name as shown here: a\admin
The example you showed above was only admin and the password. Computer "A" thinks the admin user from computer "B" is trying to connect. Hope this helps...

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/39811-accessing-administrative-shares.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I am in the process of moving our users from our old Netware X server to NT Domain Just because its the way we ve always done it I recreated all the users directories in NT and shared them individually the way we always have in netware I suspect that in NT the proper way Shares NT4 Domain on User would have been to share the ourserver users and User Shares on NT4 Domain then given permissions to the individual users directories but I cant map the users drive directly to their directory that way and I wanted the users to see their shares only and not everyone elses Even though they cant get into User Shares on NT4 Domain the other user directories it would just confuse them and maybe tempt them to try if they see all the user directories out there My concern is that I have between and users Is there a limit to the actual shares NT can have Is there a performance hit for hundreds of shares Am I heading into problems further on by giving the users these shares What is the accepted and preferred way to provide each user with a user directory thanks in advance nbsp

A:User Shares on NT4 Domain

try this in user manerger
path sould look something like this : \\servername\share\%name%

let me know if this helps
rodman

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-shares-on-nt4-domain.44841/
Relevancy 64.07%

OK up until a few days ago I had no issues accessing shared folders on a XP desktop from my Win Laptop Now I get prompted for a userid and password but it specifies the laptop credentials ie if desktop name is DESKTOP and laptop name is LAPTOP problems 7 using computer XP accessing Win shares on name Win I get prompted to enter the login credentials for LAPTOP USER when trying to access shares on DESKTOP Both computers have identical userids and passwords I have tried many things including disabling firewalls redoing network settings syncing time and time zones from dozens of posts I can access shares on the WIN LAPTOP from the Win 7 problems accessing shares on Win XP using computer name XP DESKTOP with no problem I can see the DESKTOP computer in the network from the LAPTOP but any attempt to access it results in a quot no permissions quot or quot bad userid and password quot error Interestingly only just now I can access all shares on DESKTOP by using its IP address in rather than the computer name in the Explorer bar From the Win PC I can access shares on my Ubuntu server and also a shared USB directly connected to my router it is just the Win XP pc that I cannot seem to connect to with the computer name ip address works As I said this worked a few days ago and the only thing I can think that might have changed is installing some updates on Win pc I have rebooted the routers and computers several times I am not trying to connect through Homegroup I am trying to connect with through Work I have checked permissions but as I can connect with IP address it would appear that all that stuff is fine So with the latest development in using the IP address I am no longer stuck but I would still like to know what has caused this problem and get it fixed Any help would be appreciated

A:Win 7 problems accessing shares on Win XP using computer name

Sometimes when it comes to Windows 7, It and XP doesn't get along to well. With XP no longer being sold, and a kill virus going around for it, some extras security measures have been in put in place in the updates since there is still a bit on XP code on the 7's side. Now, if your desktop computer has FTP Access set up, than it makes sense one can access it via the IP Address.

Let me ask this, did you use a workgroup at all?? If so, did you make any changes to it recently?

Can also try this:

Quote:
If the Windows XP machine shares out the file without a user ID/password requirement (i.e. simple file sharing), you will need to turn off password sharing on the Vista/7 machine:

To turn off Password Protected Sharing:
===============
1. Click Start, enter "Network and Sharing Center" in the Start Search box .
2. Click "Change advanced sharing settings" in the left pane.
3. Make sure that "Password protected sharing" is turned off.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/245787-win-7-problems-accessing-shares-win-xp-using-computer-name.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi,
I'm getting windows crashes when attempting to access certain files or folders on my FreeNas box. The bsod reflects something to do with ntfs.sys and page_fault_in_non-paged_area. Here are some minidumps. I can provide further info on request.

Thanks in advance

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-crashing-when-accessing-nas-shares.150112/
Relevancy 64.07%

Can I please have navigation Accessing pane shares without a few more letters added to the alphabet please just isn't enough At the moment I have an XP computer with x TB drives in it No redundant technologies at Accessing shares without navigation pane all These drives are partitioned to various sizes to accomodate the various categories of information that I have For example I have TB set up for movies I have a drive of GB set up just for service packs updates and patches GB for music You get the idea I just added a TB drive for backups I can then free of the gb currently on the server for other purposes extending existing drives and so I can get important data backed up regularly Problem is I need to keep a drive spare for my USB stick So I'm out of drive letters Oh I mean on the client not the server I have letters left on the server But my PC has x DVD RW x BD-ROM and Virtual drive Yes I have thought about taking one of the DVD drives out I've downloaded Librarian and have set up a number of libraries that basically mirror the drive letters I can access the libraries within applications But not from quot computer quot unless I turn on the navigation pane which drives me nuts Since I can't have more letters in the alphabet I'd really like to get rid of the drive letter concept alltogether if I could and access data inside and outside of applications some other way It might be relevant to note that I'm playing around with WHS As long as that will run ColdFusion MX update OpenDNS updater Firebird DB server and ActiveWall I thought of not creating separate drives on the server For eample a drive with three partitions could have one partition with three separate shared folders Great for the server but the clients would still need to map each individually Also it might be important to note that there are no quot everyone quot permissions Each drive has different permissions for different users For example the PC connected to my TV can read files on the Movies drive but cannot write to that drive Any ideas thanks Tanya

A:Accessing shares without navigation pane

Maybe you can have additional letters! Have you tried adding any additional language(s) to your system, which could provide you with additional letters?

Also, just a thought. . . but are you able to utilize any of the symbols or characters from the Character Map as drive letters?

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/169509-accessing-shares-without-navigation-pane.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi there is a linux domain controller already setup and clients log on to the domain. A temporary user has just joined this office and she is using a laptop. The domain name is MATRIX. The users system is kept on the workgroup itself. Not changed over to the domain. Now she wants to access the files which are stored on a system which is logged on to the domain. Thing is that she can see the shared folders but then wen she tries to access the folder then she gets the msg saying that "access denied : you do not have the permission to access the files on this system. Please contact the system administrator". What i feel is that she should atleast get prompted for authentication. That does not happen either. So is there anyway she can access the files from that system which is logged on to the domain?
Thanks guys.. Urgent help please

A:Cannot access the shares from workgroup to domain

Not sure on Linux, but a windows domain server can be accessed by using what is called pass-through authentication" without actually joining the domain, I have seen this done for Windows XP Home on a Windows Domain network.

I would be willing to bet the laptop user account has to be entered into the Linux server, would require a the server admin to do this.

I bet you would get a more informed answer on the Linux forum

http://forums.techguy.org/22-unix-linux/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-the-shares-from-workgroup-to-domain.858164/
Relevancy 63.64%

I have a WD TV Live network streaming device WDBGXT NBK- which is causing me no end of frustrations The device is supposed to easily access my Windows network shares but it works intermittently and sporadically It will function well for a while and then suddenly apropos of nothing it WD 7 Live with accessing Shares Frustrations Win Network TV will lose all access to the shares When it does this I can only get them back by performing a full factory reset and going through the laborious process of set up again I have assigned the WD TV a static IP address and set up a Look n Stop firewall rule Frustrations with WD TV Live accessing Win 7 Network Shares to permit traffic from that IP address I have set up a Windows account and password for the shares I couldn t access them at all using an anonymous account I have made sure that each drive is shared and permissions are set to allow access from the specified account When setting up the shares I have to disable Look n Stop otherwise it doesn t find them Once they are set up and working I am able to enable Look n Stop Frustrations with WD TV Live accessing Win 7 Network Shares and the happily co-exist The trigger for the loss of shares usually seems to be if the WD TV is forced to reboot completely rather than just going into standby days ago however I lost access to the shares when Windows performed a security update I wasn t able to access them again until I uninstalled the Windows update Google searches bring up a lot of issues with the network shares on this device but none of the solutions offered seem to have cured my problems Any helpful suggestions very much appreciated Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor AMD Phenom tm II X B Processor AMD Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card AMD Radeon HD Series Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB G Total - MB Free - MB K Total - MB Free - MB L Total - MB Free - MB P Total - MB Free - MB R Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC M A GTD-PRO Antivirus Bitdefender Antivirus Updated and Enabled nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/frustrations-with-wd-tv-live-accessing-win-7-network-shares.1125802/
Relevancy 63.64%

I could have sword I saw a solution to this problem posted here when I was away from home but now I can't convince the search function to find me the working solution I have a windows SE machine and a machine running Windows Vista bit home premium Vista has no problems connecting to shares on the win machine I've solved the problem with the printer share being offline after restarting the computer thanks to a post here However when I try to connect to a Vista share with Windows SE windows SE locks up hangs crashes or win9x accessing vista shares crashes whatever you want to call it It doesn't matter if it's the real WIn SE machine a virtual machine on the Vista machine or an ancient virtual machine running Windows on my ancient PowerMac that I replaced with the win SE machine I've tried installing the NTLM package and the DCOM package on win I've win9x crashes accessing vista shares tried the LMCompatibility level I've tried simple file sharing and enabling the guest account I can't get it to work A Windows win9x crashes accessing vista shares XP virtual machine also has a long delay where it locks up for - seconds when trying to access a Vista share on the host OS It seems to be related whatever is making XP lock up crashes Windows x The virtual machines prove that it's not just a question of greater processing power amp memory since the hardware setup on the virtual machines was equal I don't have any trouble connecting to shares on the XP virtual machine from anything so I doubt it is a hardware problem it's a Vista problem So what was the solution to this problem It's plagued me for years I thought I saw a possible solution posted here but I apologize as I can't seem to dig up the correct post

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/291182-win9x-crashes-accessing-vista-shares.html
Relevancy 63.64%

My computer is on a domain - I can log in to the domain fine but when I try to access a remote share I get a user name/password error. It doesn't prompt for a user name/password. I know there is a dos command that will clear the password cache but I can't remember what it is and I can't find it anywhere - can anyone out there help me?

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/password-error-when-accessing-remote-shares.527709/
Relevancy 63.64%

My computer is on a domain - I can log in to the domain fine but when I try to access a remote share I get a user name/password error. It doesn't prompt for a user name/password. I know there is a dos command that will clear the password cache but I can't remember what it is and I can't find it anywhere - can anyone out there help me?

Thanks

A:Password error when accessing remote shares

We cant help you reset passwords. Ask your network admin, im sure he would be more than happy to help you with this problem.

Close thread please, mods.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/password-error-when-accessing-remote-shares-131142.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a laptop running XP SP3; I connect to a network at the office running a single SBS 2003 server. Recently, I began losing my access to network shares -- when I try to connect to a share like \\myServer\public, I get a message saying the share is "not accessible".

If I log off my machine and log back on, I can get access again.

Possibly related: now, when I log back on to my machine, there's a very long delay while it says "applying personal settings". That's new.

Any idea what would cause this?

Or any idea how I can reauthenticate on the network without logging out of windows completely?

Relevancy 62.78%

That problem has network shares w7 password-protected starter with Accessing been getting on my nerves in the last hours I just bought a new netbook EEE PE with w starter edition I Accessing password-protected network shares with w7 starter want to access folders on my NAS devices The NAS stations and my whole home network are setup as a workgroup I changed the workgroup name on the w netbook to the same name as my home network and my account name under w is also the same as my account name on the other computers on the network I can see the nas stations in the network overview in w but whenever i try to connect it says that user or password is wrong and prompts for a password or proposes to use another account I tried using another account but it seems impossible to get rid of the domain prefix in front of the username how to just connect as a user without domain or how to just connect to a normal ethernet workgroup network share with user password nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

Well this problem is making me NUTS Several PCs in my store some running W starter some W Home pro A few days ago suddenly I could no longer access a folder on another W computer where we tend to store a lot of important documents The computer where the other folder is runs asks - Homegroup accessing problem for shares credentials also W Shares are usually done vie HomeGroup - share with home group users Other computers on the network have no problem accessing it Furthermore I Homegroup problem - accessing shares asks for credentials can access it from another local account on my computer but not from my main account which is a MS account It asks for credentials although I am a homegroup user nevertheless I enter the other computer's only username and password admin ones and it still does not let me in Try my own MS user and pass - also quot wrong quot Tried leaving and joining the Homegroup Tried restarting network related services and setting them on Automatic Tried homegroup troubleshooter - says probable problem is with network so should run Network troubleshooter I do so and it shows error This network troubleshooter shows error resource peer to peer grouping is online but not responding to connection attempts Following the latter and some google searches I tried Homegroup problem - accessing shares asks for credentials adding DisabledComponents quot DWORD with quot quot value in HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet services TCPIP Parameters But still NO-GO I do not know what to do next I will try tomorrow add another user on the other computer just so Homegroup problem - accessing shares asks for credentials I can try access with it but bottom line is - I should not have to do that it is stupid Who cares about idiotic Cortana when something so basic and important as network sharing just stops working by itself and takes hours of nerves to get working if at all Thanks for reading

A:Homegroup problem - accessing shares asks for credentials

The username needs to be entered as computername\username

Check the credential popup. It probably shows the Domain as YOUR computername.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/38687-homegroup-problem-accessing-shares-asks-credentials.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I just set up a new Win bit system to replace my old desktop I've been running Win for quite a while and have never had trouble with networking per se until now I've set up the sharing etc the way I usually do Network Discovery file sharing etc are all accessing - 0x80070035 Win7 its shares 64 OWN Network Error turned on with no password All PCs are part of the same workgroup I have several shares on this new machine that my other computers can access just Network Error 0x80070035 - Win7 64 accessing its OWN shares fine However the local PC cannot access its own shares I get the x error Bizarre As I said I have Network Error 0x80070035 - Win7 64 accessing its OWN shares set up sharing on Network Error 0x80070035 - Win7 64 accessing its OWN shares all these machines more than once It always works fine Even accessing its own shares But not this one And the only difference I can spot is that this machine is bit which I wouldn't think would have any bearing on this I have specific reasons for the local PC to be able to access its own shares I have no workaround It has to be able to do this or some of my software will not function properly I have to be able to map drives locally and also set up paths to folders that other computers will use So they have to be network paths not local paths And the software is aware that the path is not available locally I can't fool it Can anyone get me pointed in the right direction on this Thanks Matt

A:Network Error 0x80070035 - Win7 64 accessing its OWN shares

Hi,

Are you using Norton Firewall by any chance? Were you using that on your older 32 bit system too?

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/140265-network-error-0x80070035-win7-64-accessing-its-own-shares.html
Relevancy 61.49%

OK, a friend of mine was installing W2k and she has the domain name followed by her computer name during the win2000 network id/ setup wizard. I had her remove it and just put her domain name in "abc" now she continues through the wizard and it asks for the user name,password, domain again, and then where my computer would bring up a pop up box to enter my name,password, and domain for a final time, hers says "domain not found". running ipconfig she has a correct ip. Logging off and logging back on gives just the "name", "password" boxes. Selecting the "option" button only shows her "connect via dial-up" and not a domain, or log on locally option. How do you fix this??????

In advance,
Thank you!

A:{Resolved} - Windows 2000 "Domain not found"

Greetings

Um... is she on a domain? Connection to an NT server? With an NT server domain account?

If not, then you can not create a domain using W2K Professional. If she is just trying to connect to your machine, and your machine is not an NT (or Netware) server, that you must do so in a workgroup enviroment.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/resolved-windows-2000-domain-not-found.28673/
Relevancy 60.2%

I've seen topics that dance all around this but never exactly match my scenario nbsp I have Win computers on a domain that have been accessing older network shares since they were set up - years ago nbsp In the last few weeks one very critical PC cannot access Updates network Windows access 7 Can't older computer after new shares Windows on running an older Server share over the network though other Win computers can nbsp I worked on it this issue for weeks including reading and trying everything in every post that resembles this problem nbsp None of it worked nbsp I bought a brand new Win bit PC and set it up weeks ago nbsp It accessed the older shares with no problems nbsp After being on vacation a few days I booted up the PC to continue the deployment and it starting finishing up Windows updates installation nbsp After that was done I could NOT ACCESS THE OLDER SHARES It is obviously an update causing this and it has done it on a brand new computer which worked last week and did not work after Windows Updates were installed nbsp SO here's MY question nbsp Does anyone at Microsoft or elsewhere have a clue as to which update would have caused this nbsp The updates were downloaded on and finished installing today after being shut Can't access older network shares after running Windows Updates on new Windows 7 computer down for a week This is crazy nbsp Please help

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3362382f-9ea6-4b80-a49d-dfca46d6776d/cant-access-older-network-shares-after-running-windows-updates-on-new-windows-7-computer?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 59.77%

We have found recently that our Windows 8.1 clients are unable to connect to Server 2012 R2 shares (SMB 3.02). When trying to browse to them in Explorer we get "Windows can't find <UNC path>". Windows 7 clients can still connect to these
shares, only our 8.1 clients are affected. Attempting to access using the IP address instead of the host name makes no difference.
The 8.1 clients can still connect to shares on 2008 R2 servers. Server 2012 R2 to Server 2012 R2 also works.
No changes have been made to the clients or to the group policies which control them that could readily explain this issue.
Any advice on where to start troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dec29e76-991b-4d0b-a011-208f52edd02f/windows-81-clients-cant-connect-to-smb-302-shares-windows-server-2012-r2?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 59.34%

I have a Windows Home machine upgraded from Vista with multiple file and printer shares Windows losing Windows to overnight shares 7 XP access All shares are accessible with no problems by Windows XP losing access to Windows 7 shares overnight other machines running or Vista I also have a Windows XP losing access to Windows 7 shares overnight Windows XP machine that is able to access the shares for a while but after several hours usually overnight the shares are no longer accessible although I can ping the Win machine The shares still work fine from the other Win and Vista machines Oddly the XP box can still access a share on a different Win machine running Ultimate edition When I reboot the Win Home machine the shares are again accessible from the XP machine Tidbits that may or may not be relevant All machines have latest updates applied All machines are assigned to a workgroup with the same name Windows machines are configured to operate on a work network not a homegroup On network card tried disabling allow device to be turned off to save power Tried disabling tcp auto tuning quot Tried disabling receive side scaling I ve tried to find differences between the Win Home config and the Win Ultimate config since it doesn t seem to have the problem but to no avail Any ideas nbsp

A:Windows XP losing access to Windows 7 shares overnight

I have no resolution for this yet! Can anyone help?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-losing-access-to-windows-7-shares-overnight.897649/
Relevancy 58.05%

Ok so here is the deal I have a server running Windows K Server and Vista Ultimate on my laptop I used to be able to access shares like central netdocs etc I would have to put in my username and -> Vista Shares Network 2000 password Vista -> 2000 Network Shares but no worries there So today I figured I ll just place a quot check quot in the box quot Remember my password quot Against my better judgment So anyways long story short now it didn t remember my password and still prompts me for a username password every time i try and connect to a share but the problem is it says that my username password is invalid now I have verified that it IS INDEED correct I did this by accessing the EXACT same share from a XP computer and used the EXACT same password and username as I am attempting to use on the Vista computer Any ideas what could be causing this Its driving me NUTS Please help nbsp

A:Vista -> 2000 Network Shares

Same issue here, there’s not remember me option for password protected network shares in Vista, works fine on XP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-2000-network-shares.552948/
Relevancy 58.05%

We have been getting sporadic reports from our users of the error quot The trust the Error - failed 7 between 5722. Domain, Windows 2008 this domain joining primary The relationship and Enterprise workstation trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed quot nbsp The workaround The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed - Windows 7 Enterprise joining 2008 Domain, Error 5722. has been to dejoin and rejoin The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed - Windows 7 Enterprise joining 2008 Domain, Error 5722. the domain but it keeps happening and we need a permanent fix nbsp We are primarily a laptop shop It has been suggested we disable the automatic machine accouint password change on our nbsp domain members nbsp in GPO nbsp While this may be a viable option with relatively low security risks I'd really like to figure out why it's happening and try to fix it nbsp The machines can lose the trust relationship at random nbsp It can happen overnight or after going into hibernation nbsp I've had it happen to me a few times nbsp The DCs we have both show error but one is spitting out a specific Kerberos error that the other one is not While processing an AS request for target service krbtgt the account kriegesh did not have a suitable key for generating a Kerberos ticket the missing key has an ID of The requested etypes The accounts available etypes nbsp - nbsp - nbsp nbsp Changing or resetting the password of kriegesh will generate a proper key My main issue is trying to determine why this continues happening and if we can resolve it without disabling the account password nbsp If that IS our best option then so be it nbsp Any thoughts are welcome Thank you very much in advance nbsp Sarah

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8155d5ea-a5c2-4306-8d2b-be3464234460/the-trust-relationship-between-this-workstation-and-the-primary-domain-failed-windows-7-enterprise?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 58.05%

I've been trying to join a new Windows 7 Professional machine to a domain controller running Windows 2003 Server with no luck.  We currently have 4 Windows XP machines running on that domain without any issues, but when I try to add the Windows 7 computer,
here is what happens:

A computer account on the domain could not be found (confirmed it is already there)
I put in the computer name and domain again, and Administrator credentialsNow it tells me: "An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has failed."
I currently have DNS on the Windows 7 PC set to the Domain Controller and have IPv6 unchecked under Network Properties.  I can even ping the domain name (resolves to IP of the domain controller).  It looks like it can, indeed, find the domain from
the message in step 1, so am I missing something here?
Thanks in advance for any help!

A:Cannot join Windows 7 to domain even after setting DNS to domain controller IP

Hi,
You need flush your DNS cache in client side first.
Then, let?s create the following registry value for a try:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManWorkstation\Parameters

- Created a DWORD DomainCompatibilityMode = 1
 - Created a DWORD DNSNameResolutionRequired = 0
Reboot the machine and check the result again.Alex Zhao
TechNet Community Support

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/68a3f2d0-8811-4748-9470-568149193b0a/cannot-join-windows-7-to-domain-even-after-setting-dns-to-domain-controller-ip?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 58.05%

Cust. has an existing Win 2000 advanced Svr. There are about 25 PCs w/ 2000 & XP. Currently they do not log on to the Svr, but boss would now like them to. Tried, and they could not get onto existing domain. I kept getting a DNS lookup error? To add I could ping the Svr and see the shared drive on the network but it had a red x on it?

A:2000 pro PC cannot logon to 2000 advanced server domain.

Does the server has a static IP address? try setting the server's IP address as the clints DNS server (you just input the IP address of the server in the clients DNS server address in the network properties).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2000-pro-pc-cannot-logon-to-2000-advanced-server-domain.286340/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi,

Well I can use my very own laptop at work ... but they tell me that WinXP Home can not access a "Domain Network"....

Is that true. My only recourse is to move to XP Pro?

Thanks!

Mike

A:Accessing Domain Network

Yes that is true. You cannot add Windows XP Home machines to a domain.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/accessing-domain-network-136406.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Using Win 7 Pro on Dell Latitude D630. I joined my domain and completed all
Windows updates. I can access internet as long as I am logged in as administrator,
but when logging into the domain as any other user, IE9 remains when blank.
I have switched from a static ip address, to a received DHCP address but to no avail.
Am I overlooking something? Many thanks!

A:Accessing internet from domain

Quote: Originally Posted by jef231

Using Win 7 Pro on Dell Latitude D630. I joined my domain and completed all
Windows updates. I can access internet as long as I am logged in as administrator,
but when logging into the domain as any other user, IE9 remains when blank.
I have switched from a static ip address, to a received DHCP address but to no avail.
Am I overlooking something? Many thanks!

This may be due to the Domain's GPO settings which can be used to prevent anyone with a non admin account any access to the network.

The obvious solution is to add the new User to the Admin group by going to Computer Management>System Tools , then add the new User to the Admin group.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/260563-accessing-internet-domain.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hello everyone I really hope that you can help me You are my last hope I domain the cannot windows either controller connect is the because to down... domain, maintain about domain computers Recently when users try to log in on most of them the following error appears frequently quot Windows windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down... cannot connect to the domain either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable or because your computer account was not found Please try again later if the message continues to appear contact your system administrator for assistance quot I have seen that this error appears only in the computers with Windows XP and not in the computers with Windows Vista or We have domain controllers Please let me tell you about the ways I tried to resolve this problem and their results - on some computers after several restarts the users are able to log in but if they restart or shutdown after that the error appears again this worked for some computers but I do not know if the error will appear again in the future - on some computers when i disabled the windows firewall or allowed all kind of ICMPs it was resolved but this did not work for all the computers and I do not know if the error will appear again in the future - I unjoined and then rejoined some computers from the domain and it was resolved but after restarting the error appears again - If I unplug the network cable the users can log in but after restart the error appears again - I have tried to reset the user password and computer on the Active Directory for some users and they were able to log in but after restart the error appeared again for some other users it did not work at all I have also restarted the domain controllers without success Also some strange things are happening to some users Their active desktop and documents are not stored locally but in a Fileserver that they access immediately upon log in and it looks like they are locally but some of them are losing ownership on their folders and are not able to access their documents I had to log in in the fileserver set the ownership and then the security rights for all the files and folders in order for the user to access his files again So as you see there is a mess here going on What can I do to resolve this errors and ownership problems What is wrong with the domain Please help me Thanks Flori nbsp

A:windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-cannot-connect-to-the-domain-either-because-the-domain-controller-is-down.1029934/
Relevancy 56.76%

I'm one of the network administrators at a place that has about 2,000 computers. We have NT and 2000 as desktops. Some of our computers have the C$, D$, and admin$ shared and some don't. We'd like for all of them to have it. We currently have an NT4 domain. I know I can go into server manager and create the shares, but when the computer reboots, they are no longer there. I think at one time we got ride of the shares for security reasons or maybe even when nimda hit us hard, we had a tool that did it for it wouldn't spread. Is there a way to put these shares back where they stay and on many computers at once? Maybe a logon script or .bat file or something?

Thanks in advance!

Cory

A:How to make the administrative shares on NT and 2000 stay for a lot of computers?

No one knows?!?!?!?

Cory

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-make-the-administrative-shares-on-nt-and-2000-stay-for-a-lot-of-computers.186827/
Relevancy 56.76%

I have replaced an NT primary domain controller with a server I still have an Nt server as an application server and NT server 4 Domain in accessing 2003 a as a Backup Domain Controller It has been running fine until I add a new user that was never in the old domain Any new users that get added cannot authenticate to the NT server All the previous users were already in the accessing NT 4 server in a 2003 Domain BDC when I change over I cannot figure out why I can authenticate as Administrator and any old users I have sp a loaded someone said this would help and have even added the new users to the Domain Admin group but still nothing I cannot upgrade the Nt server as the application is an ERP system that is run throughout the company and I am told will not be supported in anything other than the NT environment If I add users on the NT first it updates the PDC just fine but I still can t access the shares Any Ideas Rdb nbsp

A:accessing NT 4 server in a 2003 Domain

Try demoting the NT4 server so it is no longer a DC and integrating it through DNS into your network.

Because your NT4 server is PDC, there is alot to do in order to keep the NT4 server as a DC and integrate it into a Server 2003 Schema AD network.
It is really not worth doing to be honest! Your NT4 server should run fine as a server, but not as a DC within your Server 2003 environment.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/accessing-nt-4-server-in-a-2003-domain.79373/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have joined a computer (PC1) to a domain control server (2008), and user able to login using their domain user account - although recently I have found out that even though the computer (PC1) do not connect to a server, user still able to access using their domain account.
Is there a way for me to restrict domain account user from accessing the computer (PC1) if they are disconnected from server?
Hope my explanation make sense to you guyz.

Thank in advance

A:Prevening domain user from accessing Computer

Lots to be considered. Joining a domain is intended to give the company admin configuration control of all the company users.
This is normal, expected and even proper for the company to do this.

restrict domain account userClick to expand...

hmm; only the company admin should be able to do this and almost always it is done using some scripts, NOT by loggin into your PC. So - - who is accessing your PC remotely, the admin - - how do you know this occurs?

PCs joined to a domain usually get a replacement for PC Login - - the network form and that creates a link to the domain controller.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/prevening-domain-user-from-accessing-computer.204127/
Relevancy 56.33%

I am not sure which forum this belongs in Win XP Linux or networks but I will start with this After some recent changes we have a problem with access to domain services such as e-mail only by users with administrative privileges These same services could be accessed by any user or power user in the past I will try to be brief in describing the network and the equipment required Administrator accessing domain for privileges I Administrator privileges required for accessing domain am an assistant administrator for a sub-network in a retirement community that has other networks for office personnel health-care etc needs Our network consists of five Win XP computers networked to a separate server machine running on Linux with a SAMBA interface that provides IMAP e-mail service full internet access and full inter-communication between the five resident computers so any one of them can be used interchangeably by users We have about residents registered but only a fraction of those use the computers regularly After replacing an older server program that broke down from time to time with a new one and replacing our former Win computers with Win XP we started having problems with network access At present when we register a new userID and password we logon to the new account and change the My Documents folder from its default C Documents amp Settings location to a mapped shared server drive named H through which all users can communicate from any computer so that it is now H My Documents The computer asks if we wish to transfer all settings to the new location and we say yes With our old setup we could do this okay setting up the new user with Power User privileges and we could logon freely at any computer Now to do this we have to give the user Administrator privileges which we obviously would prefer not to do If we attempt to relocate My Documents as a power user there is a message that this is not allowed If the user is first given administrator privileges and the My Documents move is carried out indeed a new H My Documents is created which can be accessed for storing documents pictures etc If the privileges are changed back to Power User the user can logon to that specific computer using the logon settings stored in the C drive but access to the network domain for e-mail folders etc that are stored on the server s H drive is denied A new e-mail account can be set up but applies only to the single computer and cannot be shared across the network The H My Documents folder can still be accessed and documents retrieved but the network settings are no longer accessible Is there some Win XP permission that will allow us to access these settings We really don t know whether our problem lies in the server in the SAMBA interface or some subtle difference in the way Win XP handles user privileges compared to Win There is a professional network consultant that is responsible for the entire installation but he has been too busy to look at this and frankly I am sure he does not know what the problem is Can anyone out in the wild blue yonder help nbsp

A:Administrator privileges required for accessing domain

Note to Forum administrator. I would like to close this thread and move it to the Other Software thread instead. Can you do this for me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/administrator-privileges-required-for-accessing-domain.645277/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have around 50 people in a domain at my work.. how do I stop anyone from accessing my bosses computer over the network?

He is running XP

A:Denying Certain domain users from accessing a computer?

The Windows XP firewall running with "No exceptions" should stop everyone. If by "anyone" you meant selected people accessing but others not there probably is no way. It's probably XP Pro, so file permissions could be used to restrict file read or write access to only those who know the permitted username(s)/password(s).

This response is from somebody who doesn't know domains, so there may be other methods.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/denying-certain-domain-users-from-accessing-a-computer.915357/
Relevancy 55.9%

I am attempting to setup shares on a Windows 8 64-bit machine with restricted access. I have a Windows Live account for my machine and am currently logged in to that account. I also created a local account that I granted admin privileges to. Initially when I mapped my network drives from a Win 7 machine to the Win 8 machine I could access the shares but I couldn't write to them. Things have gone south since as I tried all kinds of tweaking to get the Win 8 to allow me to write to the shares. I click on Advanced sharing and allowed Everyone access. I can't log in as the Win 8 (Windows Live) user -- the machine keeps telling me that my password is wrong -- and I can't seem to log in as the local account either. Please help -- I'm thinking of reverting this machine back to WIndows 7 -- so far can't stand this new OS...

A:Can't connect to Windows 8 shares with Windows 7

Where was this share located? A network share should not affect your user account unless you explicitly restricted yourself from it

You should be able to reset your password online - Microsoft Account Password - Change or Reset in Windows 8

Josh

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/28531-cant-connect-windows-8-shares-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a home network peer to peer with computers connected via a Netgear non-wireless modem router One of my computers is a dual boot Windows Vista and Windows machine and the other computers are Windows XP I [SOLVED] Shares between 7 &amp; XP Windows Windows have a priinter connected locally to the dual boot computer When I boot into Windows Vista I am able to share folders both directions and the local printer with the Windows XP computers However when I boot into Windows I can only see and shared files that are on the XP computers but the XP computers cannot share files and the printer on the Windows computer On the XP computers I can see the Windows computer in Network Places and when I click on this computer a window pops up quot Connect to DellStudio quot windows opens asking for a password DellStudio is the name I gave to the dual boot computer I do not have a password on the Windows computer and so I clicked on OK but get a futher message stating that the Windows computer is not accessable and that I may not have permission to access the computer I have shared my data folder on the dual [SOLVED] Shares between Windows 7 &amp; Windows XP boot computer with shares for quot Everybody quot but still can't access this folder Any ideas why it works in Vist and not in Window

A:[SOLVED] Shares between Windows 7 &amp; Windows XP

Hi, this article may help: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ons-of-Windows

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-shares-between-windows-7-and-amp-windows-xp-441277.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I need to increase the default number of shares on a windows XP installation. Does anybody know a workaround to increase the default number of shares you can create on windows XP proffesional?

A:Windows XP Shares

AS far as i know 10 is the max number of connections you can have to any one pc using XP pro or w2k pro...you will need to buy a windows server OS(2003, w2k, or NT) or else spread the shares between a number of machines

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-shares.38814/
Relevancy 55.9%

Does any body know the maximum amount of shares that you can have in windows XP?

A:Windows XP shares

default is 10
this may be tweakable I don't know
I know you can increase the connections
or did you mean OS user's

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-shares.38225/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a bunch of people on my network, and some shared folders.
I want to prevent certain users from making changes to the folders, but I want to be able to make changes from wireless connection.
So, how can I make it so I can make changes wirelessly but others cannot?
Basically right now, my permissions are set for
Everyone read/write
Guest read/write
But when I try to add a "network path to share with" like specific stations IE;
\\Computername\Windowsname
It doesn't work.
Can anyone advise on how I can prevent certain wireless users from modifying shared directories while granting others the ability? Specifically, certain wireless stations?
Any additional information would be invaluable.
-Sandra

Relevancy 55.9%

Hi everyone

We have purchased 2 new HP Elitebooks and both are getting these bluescreens when accessing the network over wireless. I am assuming it has to do with the wireless cards or their drivers but this has now occured even when using just the 3G modem and VPN client

I have attached dumps, if someone could please advise what else i can try as i have already updated all network drivers, vpn software, 3g modem drivers etc

Any help will be much appreciated

Regards

A:BSOD when accessing network or network shares via Wireless

Quote: Originally Posted by Metalmilitia

Hi everyone

We have purchased 2 new HP Elitebooks and both are getting these bluescreens when accessing the network over wireless. I am assuming it has to do with the wireless cards or their drivers but this has now occured even when using just the 3G modem and VPN client

I have attached dumps, if someone could please advise what else i can try as i have already updated all network drivers, vpn software, 3g modem drivers etc

Any help will be much appreciated

Regards

No DMP files included in upload please try this method
We do need the DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.

You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.

To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.

The procedure:

* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
* Zip up the copy.
* Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.
*If the files are too large please upload them to a file sharing service like "Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.
To ensure minidumps are enabled:

* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
* Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
* Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
* Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
* Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
* OK your way out.
* Reboot if changes have been made.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/194749-bsod-when-accessing-network-network-shares-via-wireless.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I have had this client for about 5 years now and haven't had this problem before. I created his user account and setup his access. When i logged in his computer as him, under "My Computer" I see "Other" and then all of the drives on the server, which no other user has. What is causing this???? He has full access to everything on the server drives and i cant seem to find where he is getting this permission from.

Any help is much appreciated!!!!!!!!

A:Domain User Sees Server Shares under "Other"

You created his user account? after you had him for about 5 years? in a domain?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/394439-domain-user-sees-server-shares-under-other.html
Relevancy 55.47%

How do I delete all those default shares set by windows? I go into cmdprmpt and delete all the shares. Next time I reboot shares are there again. Are these made by default? (ADMIN$, IPC$, and C:$) Why would my C drive be a default anonymous share? Someone please help me understand this better. Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-default-shares-470290.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I have a bunch of people on my network, and some shared folders.
I want to prevent certain users from making changes to the folders, but I want to be able to make changes from wireless connection.
So, how can I make it so I can make changes wirelessly but others cannot?
Basically right now, my permissions are set for
Everyone read/write
Guest read/write
But when I try to add a "network path to share with" like specific stations IE;
\\Computername\Windowsname
It doesn't work.
Can anyone advise on how I can prevent certain wireless users from modifying shared directories while granting others the ability? Specifically, certain wireless stations?
Any additional information would be invaluable.
-Sandra

A:windows 7 shares / permissions

Windows doesn't differentiate security and permissions based on connection type, so you can't prevent access via a wireless network connection. Is the network a domain or a workgroup? Are the "bunch of people" using different computers or different accounts on that one computer?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-shares-permissions.888713/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello Pro Windows Shares in XP Administrative there My company is currently running a Win Server on a domain with Win SE workstations They are now upgrading their workstations to Windows XP Professional getting rid of the old machines altogether and Administrative Shares in Windows XP Pro installing new PC s with Windows XP Pro pre-installed All machines have the C Drives fully shared so that all workstations can access each others contents I know about the risks unfortunately the dept head wants it this way As we ve been slowly replacing the older workstations with the new ones the Administrative Shares in Windows XP Pro XP machines can see the SE machines perfectly and the SE machines see the XP machines I can access the C Drive on the SE machines however the SE machines cannot access the C Drive on the XP Pro machines It will ask me for a password I noticed that the XP machines have the C drive shared as quot C quot I can t disable it because it ends up coming back when rebooted I then created a new share as quot C quot with quot Everyone quot privileges leaving the C share but no luck The SE machines keep prompting me to enter a password to access the information I m at a loss I need to be able to share the C Drive on the XP machines so that they are accessible from both SE machines and XP machines without prompting for a password I don t know if I m forgetting something or maybe doing something wrong Sorry about the long story wanted to give as much info as possible Appreciate any help Thanks nbsp

A:Administrative Shares in Windows XP Pro

Are you using Simple File Sharing?

Here's a link that should help: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/administrative-shares-in-windows-xp-pro.109895/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have a clean installation of Windows XP, and I'm trying to mount my server's NFS shares under it. I installed Microsoft's Services for Unix (SFU) and its NFS client, mapped the users and groups, and now I'm having a small problem when using the shares.

I can get as far as seeing the shares accessible:

But as soon as I try to access either of them, Windows just hangs for a second or two and then reboots. Just like that, without any warnings.

I'm really stumped as to why this is happening or where to start looking for the problem, so I'd gladly welcome all and any help you've got.

A:Odd problem with NFS shares under Windows

Hi Cene, and welcome to TSF.

Have a look in event viewer...... Click start, right click my computer, select manage, click event viewer in the left pane. Have a look in the different sections there for anything that corresponds with the time of the last hang/reboot.

Post back results.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/odd-problem-with-nfs-shares-under-windows-487396.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello everyone I've been troubleshooting this problem literally for days and I am hoping someone can help me out Shares Windows 8 Network This issue involves my network shares specifically the Windows ones I have computers Windows 8 Network Shares on a home network They are as follows Desktop-Windows Pro upgraded from Windows Laptop -Windows Laptop -Windows HTPC -Windows HTPC -Windows First of all all computers are members of the same workgroup and can quot see quot one another just fine The Desktop acts as a server with all my Windows 8 Network Shares documents music video etc stored on it All Windows computers can access the shares on the desktop just fine The desktop can access all the other computers Win amp just fine The problem is that neither of the Windows machines can access the Windows desktop's shares The desktop shows up under quot network quot but when I click on it to access the shares I get the message that quot windows cannot access Desktop-PC Check the spelling of the name Ohterwise there might be a problem with your network quot Now what's strange is that the Windows laptop and htpc can access eachother's shares without problem but either one cannot access the Win desktop's shares The other thing about it is if I switch to a local account from a microsoft account on either the laptop or htpc I can then access the Windows desktop shares without issue This is not an acceptable workaround though as I want to be able to use the Microsoft Live account on all the Win computers to get the benefits of account password syncing etc I have tried many things such as disabling antivirus firewall resetting router disabling IPv on all machines tinkering with all settings under advanced network settings I am at a loss Since the other two Windows machines can access eachother's shares easily I figure that it has got to be something specific to the Desktop Windows or either the Microsoft Live account Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated Please let me know if I can provide any more information Thanks in advance Carl

A:Windows 8 Network Shares

Was Windows 7 a 64-bit or 32-bit version? (on the upgraded desktop)

My guess is a leftover setting is clogging up the works. I don't use the Microsoft Account with the sync settings & all, but if a solution continues to refuse to show up, I can take a look around the TechNet literature.
. . . Gary

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/windows-8-network-shares-686065.html
Relevancy 55.47%

My Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS is not seeing anything uner the 'Network' tab in Windows Explorer.

I have set up a 'work' network at home with two xp machines.

The W7 macnine has a network connection,
all computers are on the same workgroup,
Network Discovery is on,
file sharing is enabled.

My xp machines can see shared folders and access files on my W7 machine so I know it is on the network, but the W7 machine sees nothing under 'Network', not even itself.

Any help is appreciated.
Joe

A:Windows 7 - no 'Network' shares

First make sure that network discovery is enabled on the Win 7 machine under Advanced Sharing settings, picture below.

It also helps to run the network set up Wizard on the XP machines after you create the Workgroup on the Win 7 machine. Be sure and enable sharing on the XP machines during the set up process.

This tutorial might help.
Networking home computers running different versions of Windows

These settings need to be like in the picture.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/53982-windows-7-no-network-shares.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I have several machines all running Win RC and one WHS aka Win All of the machines worked together fine except for one Win machine that had trouble accessing network shares XP/2003 can't Windows see 7 resources I set up a virtual XP machine on one of the other working Win machines for testing purposes -- sure enough same issue connecting to it as connecting to WHS I figured if it affected XP then it would affect tons of real-world users so that's what I searched the web for as I tried solution after solution As you can imagine many hits pointed me to this forum where I found many good ideas to try -- but even here there were many many threads left unresolved including my poor machine Symptoms - all connections TO the affected Win machine worked as expected - the affected machine worked fine to amp from all other Win machines - could see the XP machines in Explorer - could Windows 7 can't see XP/2003 shares resolve XP host names - could NOT enumerate xpbox nor access XP resources xpbox share xpbox printer despite matching accounts I'd always get a login dialog and no matter what I typed there I'd get quot access Windows 7 can't see XP/2003 shares denied quot - could NOT install the WHS connector software similar error message indicating a permissions issue - could NOT join a homegroup ditto I now believe this is unrelated -- starting to see this on other machines Things I tried without success - turned off all firewalls - set all Win sharing settings to be identical to other machines that were working ok - set all Win sharing settings to be as permissive as possible and several combos in between - checked amp rechecked that usernames passwords matched all around - checked that users were in the Administrators group on target computer - checked NTFS permissions - created new admin accounts on all machines with passwords that were impossible to mistype then entering those credentials into the login dialog after the st failure - restarted both machines - connected from the quot Network quot root node instead of browsing - connected via quot net use quot at the command line -- with and without explicit user parameter - checked that there was nothing cached in the Windows credential manager - clean install of not not an upgrade of anything no rd party networking or security software - checked that all machines were in the same workgroup - ensured that LLTD was installed via XP SP in my case - switched network profile to Work to disable any HomeGroup features that might be in play mistakenly - ensured all machines were on the same subnet - removed router set up static IPs on each machine - kept DHCP but tried browsing via IP - set NetBT to force broadcast mode via registry - disabled IPv - forced use of WHQL nForce Networking drivers instead of the ones included with Win - swapped in a known-good Intel NIC - turned on quot include anonymous users in Everyone group quot in Local Security Policy - turned off blank password restrictions in the registry - wipe reinstall with -bit Win RC instead of x My solution Near the point of frustration I had taken to combing the Windows event logs for clues At some point I noticed that log times were day behind After I adjusted the system time everything suddenly worked Root cause Modern versions of Windows use the system time during SMB authentication NTLMv - within the client response Kerberos - all tickets My guess is that Win lt - gt Win SMB is smart enough to fall back to NTLMv even if both machines claim they support NTLMv I probably could have gotten this working on XP by forcing one or the other into NTLMv -only mode I'm not sure how I got in this state since the machine was set to synchronize with the same time servers time microsoft com as everyone else But hey it worked Hope this helps someone If not try the other solutions in the list I think I've managed to collect all of the troubleshooting ideas listed on this forum amp others

A:Windows 7 can't see XP/2003 shares

I am having the same issues but my time is synchronized with the PDC emulator in my AD. All machines are at the same time.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/11155-windows-7-cant-see-xp-2003-shares.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello everyone I ve been troubleshooting this problem literally for days and I am hoping someone can help me out This issue involves my network shares specifically the Windows ones I have computers on a Network Shares Windows 8 home network They are as follows Desktop-Windows Pro upgraded from Windows Laptop -Windows Laptop -Windows HTPC -Windows HTPC -Windows First of all all computers are members of the same workgroup and can quot see quot one another just fine The Desktop acts as a server with all my documents music video etc stored on it All Windows computers can access the shares on the desktop just fine The desktop can Windows 8 Network Shares access all the other computers Win amp just fine The problem is that neither of the Windows machines can access the Windows desktop s shares The desktop shows up under quot network quot but when I click on it to access the shares I get the message that quot windows cannot access Desktop-PC Check the spelling of the name Ohterwise there might be a problem with your network quot Now what s strange is that the Windows laptop and htpc can access eachother s shares Windows 8 Network Shares without problem but either one cannot Windows 8 Network Shares access the Win desktop s shares The other thing about it is if I switch to a local account from a microsoft account on either the laptop or htpc I can then access the Windows desktop shares without issue This is not an acceptable workaround though as I want to be able to use the Microsoft Live account on all the Win computers to get the benefits of account password syncing etc I have tried many things such as disabling antivirus firewall resetting router disabling IPv on all machines tinkering with all settings under advanced network settings I am at a loss Since the other two Windows machines can access eachother s shares easily I figure that it has got to be something specific to the Desktop Windows or either the Microsoft Live account Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated Please let me know if I can provide any more information Thanks in advance Carl nbsp

Relevancy 55.47%

Can anyone tell me the way that I can disable simple shares that Windows XP has? in otherwords I want to put all the share options back to the way that they were in Windows 2000 (or when you start Windows XP in safe mode).
I got a program called xteq X-Setup that has the option to turn the Simple shares option off, but it doesn't work.

has anyone else got any ideas on what I can do to change this? because simple shares sux.

Relevancy 54.61%

my setup:
router w/dhcp server - provides internet access to 192.168.1.0 (subnet1).

server on 192.168.2.0 (subnet2) must NOT be seen from subnet1, nor have internet access for security.

all workstations XPpro
my problem:
2 workstations need to have shared folders from both subnets mapped as drives, and internet access. (this is a must for a legacy app)

Basicly, i need a way to map a drive from a different subnet in a secure manner. (not using NetBEUI!)
i can buy a cheap router if needed.
i can use linux (i'm actually better versed in linux than windows)
i can't buy windows server.

any ideas?

A:Windows shares accross subnets

i'm experimenting with using a basic router, the kind you buy for your dsl connection, between the subnets as a gateway.
this of course works fine for internet access, and i added a static route to the other subnet, so i have basic connectivity to to subnet1 from subnet2, but not vice-versa (which is what i want)
i can use:
"net use p: \\192.168.1.123\foo"
to map a drive as p:

does anyone know what will happen when multiple workstations are connected like this through a nat? (i've only got one extra workstation right now to test)
will this be stable?
does anyone have a better idea?

doeas a network guru feel like telling me the right way this should be done, even though i can't impliment it right now?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-shares-accross-subnets.352290/
Relevancy 54.61%

Our office is set up with two windows 7 machines, and a single XP machine. I am on the XP machine. The printer and most shared files are on the windows 7 machine. This normally works fine, but randomly it will stop allowing me to access it, and won't fix itself until it has been rebooted. Nothing will change as far as we can tell. I can still ping it, and they can still access my computer. They can also access their computers. Know of where to start trouble shooting? It is currently un-connected, so items that don't require a reboot, and would thus fix it anyway are of a lower priority than things that can be tested without it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-suddenly-drops-shares-to-xp.1028161/
Relevancy 54.61%

Good evening I've been trying for a week to get a Windows Home Premium equipped laptop to be able to access samba shares on my home network The network is setup as follows quot master quot with samba Windows 7 and problem shares modem router connected to Internet quot slave quot router connected to master router NAS physically connected to slave router via Gigabit LAN static IP address Laptop n running WXP and Laptop n running W connected to slave router via WLAN and DHCP using quot reserved IP address by MAC address quot feature of the router g with WPA WPA The problem is that the Windows machine won't Windows 7 and problem with samba shares see either of the NAS or WXP machine shares The WXP machine can see and access the W machine shares The W machine is setup as follows - Windows 7 and problem with samba shares windows firewall OFF - network connection configured as a Home Work network HomeGroup feature not used - no domain workgroup named WORKGROUP same as WXP and NAS - in advanced network settings file and printer sharing enabled network discovery enabled public folders enabled - Server service running In the File Explorer in the Network folder the W machine sees itself as well as DLNA UPnP devices Twonky Media Server running on NAS the NAS itself but not it's shares the slave router but no SMB shares The NAS user accounts is configured with a user account using the same credentials as the W administrator account Using the NAS finder program QNAP finder sees the NAS on the network but cannot map a drive or see the shares Error message saying that the server cannot be found on the network Trying to map a share as a drive in File Explorer doesn't work even when using NAS IP address or name However access to NAS' web interface works OK by HTTP After having tried to find a solution on QNAP's forums I'm now turning to you hoping that you can help me out - Thanks in advance

A:Windows 7 and problem with samba shares

Quote: Originally Posted by flyingflatfour

Good evening,

I've been trying for a week to get a Windows 7 Home Premium equipped laptop to be able to access samba shares on my home network.

The network is setup as follows:

1) "master" modem/router connected to Internet (192.168.1.1)
2) "slave" router connected to master router (192.168.2.1)
3) NAS physically connected to slave router via Gigabit LAN / static IP address 192.168.2.2
4) Laptop n?1 running WXP (192.168.2.10) and Laptop n?2 running W7 (192.168.2.7) connected to slave router via WLAN and DHCP using "reserved IP address by MAC address" feature of the router (802.11g with WPA/WPA2)

The problem is that the Windows 7 machine won't see either of the NAS or WXP machine shares.

The WXP machine can see and access the W7 machine shares.

The W7 machine is setup as follows:

- windows firewall OFF
- network connection configured as a Home/Work network, HomeGroup feature not used
- no domain, workgroup named WORKGROUP, same as WXP ans NAS.
- in advanced network settings, file and printer sharing enabled, network discovery enabled, public folders enabled
- Server service running.

In the File Explorer in the Network folder the W7 machine sees itself as well as DLNA/UPnP devices (Twonky Media Server running on NAS, the NAS itself (but not it's shares), the slave router), but no SMB shares.

The NAS user accounts is configured with a user account using the same credentials as the W7 administrator account.

Using the NAS finder program (QNAP finder) sees the NAS on the network but cannot map a drive or see the shares. Error message saying that the server cannot be found on the network. Trying to map a share as a drive in File Explorer doesn't work, even when using NAS IP address or name.

However, access to NAS' web interface works OK by HTTP...

After having tried to find a solution on QNAP's forums, I'm now turning to you hoping that you can help me out ;-)

Thanks in advance.

For Home Premium you don't have the local security policy in order to adjust the LM and NTLM authentication levels so you will need to do that in the registry.

If the key doesn't exist you need to create it. Back up the registry first just in case.

There needs to be a DWORD named LmCompatibilityLevel set to value of 2 " at
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

So open regedit and navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa then choose to create DWORD named LmCompatibilityLevel then set the value to 2 although value 1 may work.

Also according to the Samba site you may need to make another adjustment. I'm not entirely sure if this pertains to Windows 7 Home Premium or not.

Windows 7 Registry settings
There are currently two registry settings required to be added on the Windows 7 client prior to joining a Samba Domain. These are:
HKLM\System\CCS\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters DWORD DomainCompatibilityMode = 1 DWORD DNSNameResolutionRequired = 0More about the Samba share and there is an update. http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7

This link explains what the different values do.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc960646.aspx

One of the LM values should allow you to connect to those Samba shares and this is about all I can find on this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/260203-windows-7-problem-samba-shares.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Every so often, for no reason, my shares will stop working on my machine. I have 2-3-4 shares going on at once, and the only way to alleviate the problem, for a few days, is to reboot.

Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this? Or start troubleshooting.

browsing PC name OR IP does not work after a given amount of time - 24-72 hours.

A:Windows 7 shares stop working

Are all these machines Windows 7? If so are you using Homegroups? There is a registry setting that has en effect on this.

On my windows 7 machine I used regedit to increase the size of a parameter:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanServer\Parameters

the parameter was Size - and value was set at 1 . I changed the value to 3 .

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/108420-windows-7-shares-stop-working.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I backup teacher laptops to a Windows server share. Unfortunately, when they go home still logged in and come back the next day, the share isn't automatically remapped, so backups fail. Is there any way to make shares automatically remap when they are in range of our wireless net? Thanks. If not, I guess we need to pay for something like CrashPlan (which I love, but we're on a limited budget).

A:Auto-remap Windows shares?

Welcome to Seven Forums!

What type of Windows Server O/S do you have? Are the files saved in the Teacher's laptop and not in the server? Do you have a file server?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/352785-auto-remap-windows-shares.html
Relevancy 54.61%

All my laptops have been updated to the Windows 10 Anniversary update. They all connected correctly to the NAS device that uses the SMB connectivity, when connected to the same network. Whenever any are out of the office, they connect to the network over VPN. Then, they can not access the NAS device shares. I have seen this type of problem is wide-spread as Microsoft has changed the way SMB/CIFS file Sharing Support system works.

How can I fix this?

A:Windows 10 Anniversary update -- SMB shares not available over VPN

How are the shares hosted? Who maintains the network and VPN problems?

Depending on what type of VPN is used and how it is hosted, can cause those outside of the network to not be able to reach them. Has nothing to do with the other issue which has been fixed by now.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/65026-windows-10-anniversary-update-smb-shares-not-available-over-vpn.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi map Unable Network Windows to Shares 10 I've got Western Unable to map Network Shares Windows 10 Digital Network drives hard wired on my network a My Book World and an EX Since upgrading to Windows I've had intermittent problems viewing and setting network drives I've read a lot of other posts and tried a number of things suggested without success WD Support have run out of ideas The WD Discovery tool finds the Network drives but the box to map network drive is greyed out I can access the desktop control panel from my browser If I try to add a network location the drives are not listed Unable to map Network Shares Windows 10 If I try to add the drive letter WDMYCLOUDEX Public the network path is Unable to map Network Shares Windows 10 not found I have another Windows computer on the network which can access the drives without issue - so it must be a setting on my PC Tried disabling my Kaspersky security - still not being seen I suspect that this has been as a result of a windows upgrade Anybody had similar issues

A:Unable to map Network Shares Windows 10

Well would you believe it;

My computer has just updated itself to Windows 10 Pro Version 1511, OS Build 10586.3 and the drives are showing again.
I knew it was something to do with a previous update.............

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/30013-unable-map-network-shares-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I have file and printer sharing enabled. I can access these shares from other windows 7 machines on the network, so I know the shares and permissions are correct. I have an active directory and I am logging onto the xp machines with the same account I always do, my own account which is a domain admin. The error I get when trying either \\windows7machinename or windows7machinename\sharename is

windows7machinename is not accessible. you might not have permissions....

the specified server cannot perform the requested operation.

Like I stated above, I know how to create the shares in Windows 7 compared to XP, much different. I can access these shares from other Windows 7 machines, and with different accounts that have the permissions to gain access. I just cannot access these same shares from my XP machines.

A:Cannot access shares on Windows 7 from XP machines

Rob

Im assuming the obvious has been taken care of like workgroup not homegroup, windows firewall off, add your win 7 user name pword and xp user name and pword (they are different). Could you tell us more about the networking set up

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/24561-cannot-access-shares-windows-7-xp-machines.html