Windows Support Forum

Sharing on network between LAN and WiFi

Q: Sharing on network between LAN and WiFi

Problem:
I have a Win7 PC connected to router through LAN. I have Win8 connected to router over WiFi. How to share files between them? Is it MS related or router related problem?
Workarounds:
If I connect Win8 through LAN, sharing is working.
Win7 can ping Win8, but entering in explorer \\IP I get common "you do not have permission...". Win8 can't ping Win7 at all.

I have searched a lot, found a lot of similar problems but none of them was mine and solutions didn't work.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Sharing on network between LAN and WiFi

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Sharing on network between LAN and WiFi

Quote: Originally Posted by gacuxz

Problem:
I have a Win7 PC connected to router through LAN. I have Win8 connected to router over WiFi. How to share files between them? Is it MS related or router related problem?
Workarounds:
If I connect Win8 through LAN, sharing is working.
Win7 can ping Win8, but entering in explorer \\IP I get common "you do not have permission...". Win8 can't ping Win7 at all.

I have searched a lot, found a lot of similar problems but none of them was mine and solutions didn't work.

Is there more than one router in this network? Maybe a modem/router then another wireless router?

You shouldn't have any problems sharing between LAN and wireless unless they aren't using the same default gateway which points to a router configuration problem.

If you can post the .txt file that is created on your desktop by unzipping and then clicking on the ipconfig file, from both machines it would be helpful.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/316247-sharing-network-between-lan-wifi.html
Relevancy 64.93%

is there a way for me to access this computers?
I just saw them in my network. But i dont know who are they.
I saw something on youtube like you can access this computers by Remote Desktop Connection.
But i dont know how to access them.

Relevancy 63.21%

Hello everyone I don't usually go the quot beg for help on an unknown forum quot route but I'm clearly out between computers WiFi 2 specific file home sharing on LAN network of my depth on this issue and hours of furious Googling and tweaking have not helped me one bit What I'm trying to do is trying to setup file sharing between computers connected by an LAN file sharing between 2 specific computers on home WiFi network ethernet cable So far so good except those computers are ALSO part of a Wifi network to connect to the internet through a wireless router There are other computers on this network other roommates that must NOT have access to anything shared on either on those computers I've tried fiddling with homegroups but the only homegroups we can create are on the WiFi network If I set the LAN connection to anything else but public by setting PC as a default gateway I can't get access to the internet anymore How on earth can I set that up properly if that's even possible EDIT my brain is so close to imploding that I forgot basic curtesy- Of course thank you in advance for your help

A:LAN file sharing between 2 specific computers on home WiFi network

Quote: Originally Posted by aljady

Hello everyone!

I don't usually go the "beg for help on an unknown forum" route but I'm clearly out of my depth on this issue and hours of furious Googling and tweaking have not helped me one bit.

What I'm trying to do is trying to setup file sharing between 2 computers connected by an ethernet cable.
So far so good, except those 2 computers are ALSO part of a Wifi network to connect to the internet through a wireless router. There are other computers on this network (other roommates) that must NOT have access to anything shared on either on those 2 computers.

I've tried fiddling with homegroups but the only homegroups we can create are on the WiFi network. If I set the LAN connection to anything else but public by setting PC2 as a default gateway, I can't get access to the internet anymore.

How on earth can I set that up properly, if that's even possible?

EDIT: my brain is so close to imploding that I forgot basic curtesy-

Of course, thank you in advance for your help.

Sounds to me like you are using ICS to create a secondary wired connection for the second machine.

You need to use the LAN ports on the router or a switch rather than sharing a connection using ICS "internet connection sharing". Homegroups won't work with ICS.

Once you are connected to the router with a regular LAN connection with both machines, you should have no problems setting up a Homegroup between those two machines.

Once the Homegroup is set up it will lock the other machines out of your shared C:>Users folders on both of the Homegroup machines. You will be able to share exclusively between those two machines while the other wireless machines will have no access unless you give it to them by adding Everyone to the shared with list.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/279372-lan-file-sharing-between-2-specific-computers-home-wifi-network.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I am trying to establish a household network sharing internet, printer and files.

The players
Main computer desktop XP Pro
Theater PC desktop Vista Premium
Old Laptop XP Pro
New Laptop Vista Home Basic
Linksys G router

I have been able to get the entire community to share the internet. I have gotten printer sharing to work on all but the new Vista laptop. I can not get any of the remote computers to access any files. I can get to the shared files folder on the main computer from the Theater computer but I am denied access when I try to open the shared folder.

Any suggestions on how to work this out?

Thanks

A:Solved: WIFI Networking, Sharing internet works, print sharing is spotty, can't share

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wifi-networking-sharing-internet-works-print-sharing-is-spotty-cant-share.762654/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi all,

I have a wireless network set up in my house and I want to share some of the folders on my computer so that other family members can listen to my music etc. When I click to turn Network Discovery on, and click apply, it just stays off, same goes for File Sharing.
When I try to turn public folder sharing on, after I click apply I get an error message saying "incorrect function". I have shared stuff on my work network so I'm not sure what's wrong here.

Thanks
MrsB

A:Can't turn Network Discovery, File Sharing and Public Folder Sharing on

Make sure your network is designated home or work; NOT public.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-turn-network-discovery-file-sharing-and-public-folder-sharing-on.896468/
Relevancy 52.03%

I have a netbook home bit win and a PC bit pro win sharing the same wired hub I want them to be entirely 'un-networked' so that no communication between them is possible I have tried to turn off 'file and printer sharing' on my PC because and printer sharing sharing auto-enabling file and Network i assume i should but when i reboot i find Network sharing and auto-enabling file and printer sharing it turned back on I've seen this problem addressed in this and other forums but no solution that i could comprehend I also have a VMP media player running off the Network sharing and auto-enabling file and printer sharing hub and would like to access video files on my PC from that device but only if that does not compromise access between netbook and PC I should add - in case it's not obvious - that i really don't have much of a clue what i'm doing and am very confused with the myriad options Particularly the 'local' 'home or work' 'public' 'all' and media streaming options whatever they are I'd be grateful if someone could explain and or confirm what radio buttons to tick to achieve what i want to do Many thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/387954-network-sharing-auto-enabling-file-printer-sharing.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi there

This USB Wifi adapter seems to be a MEGA performer --Lovely finally to be able to THINK of getting rid of LAN cables all over the place.

I've no probs with decent HD Movie streaming from a SERVER with one of these (I unplugged the LAN and inserted the USB Wifi adapter into a USB3 slot --note this needs genuine USB3 to work at proper speed). My Home router can deliver 802.11ac so no probs there.

Brilliant piece of kit and NO MORE CABLES !!!!!!. Wifi will soon be able to deliver comparable speeds to LAN especially for HOME networks. !!!

Here's the UK Link but is available in US and Europe. In any case it's delivered (in my case) by Amazon S.A.R.L (Luxembourg) so no tax !!!. even though I ordered from UK web site --they will ship outside UK tax free.

USB-AC56 | Networking | ASUS UK

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/38950-finally-can-retire-wired-network-wifi-usb-ac56-wifi-802-11ac.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hey guys,
I live in a small rural community of people who may or not be able to afford internet services. I am not concerned about the adults but would like to share my connection with the school age children for a few hours in the afternoon. Can I do this without compromising my security and manually providing access to my signal.
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD V120 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 2810 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 224212 MB, Free - 155940 MB; D: Total - 13957 MB, Free - 1999 MB; E: Total - 99 MB, Free - 89 MB;
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1444
Antivirus: None .

A:sharing wifi

You should first check with you ISP as most of them see "sharing wifi" as a violation of their Terms of Service.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-wifi.1120891/
Relevancy 48.59%

I am new to group but listen to Leo every chance I get. I have a home in a mobile home community. I would like to make WiFi available to as many of the residents computers as possible for a little cost as possible. Can I broadcast a wifi signal over a 4 block area so we can share it. Don,t know if it's legal or possible but I would like to try. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks: sbarath

A:WiFi sharing

Start by finding out what laws and ordinances in your town or county or whatever are applicable. Then determine how you will get an "internet feed." Maybe a regular ISP in your area gives services to a business such as you perceive. Determine where you will place the WAPs--existing utility poles, put your own in, etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-sharing.1041825/
Relevancy 48.59%

I'm not going to say I am sharing my wifi, but let's say per se I don't put a password for my wifi and someone manages to use my ISP. Is there certain websites, popups, or foreign websites that they can click on and have my credit card charged without me knowing? I heard that's possible and I wouldn't be able to see if I've been charged until months later.

Relevancy 48.59%

I will be moving into my late grandmothers house in the next few weeks. Once I get my internet up and running I would like to share my wifi with my neighbors. The homes are approximately 50 or 60 feet apart. I currently have an older modem/router combo (Siemens Gigaset se567). I know that alone is not enough for them to have a strong connection. I wasn't sure if a simple upgrade to a new wifi router will be enough, or should I also get a high gain antenna, or maybe a repeater, etc... After looking this up online all week, it all starts to looking the same to me. I'm just wondering if I'm over thinking this.

Any suggestions to a simple solution would be greatly appreciated.

A:Sharing wifi

Hi n0s4a2, and welcome to TSG.

Assuming you are going to be getting some type of residential high speed Internet service, it would be a violation of the terms of service for most most providers to share the service beyond one's own household.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-wifi.1020106/
Relevancy 48.16%

I live in a senior mobile home park and the management has given me permission to setup a wifi hotspot in the community clubhouse. I added a wireless access point, an Edimax EW-7228APn, to their non-wifi router located in their park office. They want me to make sure that anyone using the new hotspot cannot look at their files on the office computer. How do I configure the access point to make sure that no one can intrude on managements files?

Thank you
Len

A:Wifi Sharing question

Quote: Originally Posted by lenberman

I live in a senior mobile home park and the management has given me permission to setup a wifi hotspot in the community clubhouse. I added a wireless access point, an Edimax EW-7228APn, to their non-wifi router located in their park office. They want me to make sure that anyone using the new hotspot cannot look at their files on the office computer. How do I configure the access point to make sure that no one can intrude on managements files?

Thank you
Len

You can try setting up the guest account on the A/P, this usually requires that you set up a separate SSID, password etc. then make all connection through the guest account which should place you outside the subnet that the office's router is using. This should prevent anyone using your A/P from having access to the files on the office's network.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/295060-wifi-sharing-question.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi, I live in a rooming house that gives us internet access over WiFi. I have a desktop computer and a laptop both with their own WiFi adapter. The desktop is using an Intel wireless card N and the laptop is using built in wireless G. I also connect both computers via Ethernet using a crossover cable.

What I want to do is only share files over the Ethernet connection, not the wireless connection. Is this possible?

Both running windows 7 pro and gigabit Ethernet. Thanks.

A:sharing files over lan, but not over wifi

Welcome to Seven Forums

You may remove the default gateway and DNS servers of your LAN or Ethernet setting from Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections then choose your wired connection (Ethernet). See attached image of an example of what you need to accomplish.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/362633-sharing-files-over-lan-but-not-over-wifi.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I have been trying to make my laptop a hotspot but can t seem to get one to work When I look for the sharing tab for the wifi adapter there isn t one Any help would be appreciated Microsoft Windows Version c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved Windows IP Configuration Host Name v no adapter tab for sharing wifi i Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List lin keele ac uk Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter Physical Address -A -C -BF- F- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R Centrino R Wireless-N Physical Address -A -C -BF- F- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific no sharing tab for wifi adapter DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address -A -C -BF- F- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Ethernet Connection-specific DNS Suffix lin keele ac uk Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address C-F -DD- C-BB- A DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe b bb cc ce Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Friday February PM Lease Expires Friday February PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - - D-C - -A -C -BF- F- DNS Servers Primary WINS Server NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter TO Adapter Connection-specific DNS Suffix lin keele ac uk Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address a e b a e b Preferred Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address ef fd a ffa e Pref erred Link-local IPv Address fe a ffa e Preferred Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - - D-C - -A -C -BF- F- NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter isatap lin keele ac uk Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix lin keele ac uk Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

Relevancy 48.16%

I just bought a WiFi router.

And Now I need to set it up I already Hid it from broadcasting the SSSID, and put in the mac addresses of all my computers.

But My Windows desktop computer CD drive doesnt work. And all my music files are on my Windows desktop
Two things I want to do are:

1) Share my Macbook Pro's CD drive with my windows desktop over Wifi (So I can read CD's/DVD's on my desktop)

2) Have the abilty to read certain "shared folders" from my Windows desktop
Some folders will be read only ( on my macbook)
other folders I want to be able to copy a file from my macbook and put it on my Windows Desktop, and also the other way around

Can someone guide me through this?

Side note:
Im using Windows 7, and OSX Mavericks

A:Sharing over Wifi with Macbook

Have you tried all the steps here: OS X: How to connect with File Sharing using SMB and DVD or CD sharing: Using Remote Disc

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/312246-sharing-over-wifi-macbook.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I have a wired network consisting of a router, a desktop running WinXP, a laptop running Win7 and a network attached storage unit. I summer in a campground with a wifi hotspot. I would like use it to share an Internet connection between the 2 computers. Is that possible, and if so, how should I set up DHCP's?

If I disable the router's DHCP server, the LAN adapters get out-of-range default IP addresses apparently because they time out before the wifi connection is established.

If I enable the Router DHCP then end up with IP addresses on different network segments.

The hotspot appears to use the entire range of 256 IP addresses, so I'm concerned that if will occasionally assign conflicting addresses if I assign static IP addresses.

Any thought on how to do this would be appreciated.

Also, I'd be willing to use individual wif adapters on each computer if that would work better.

FredVN

Relevancy 48.16%

How do i configure a adsl router/hub to share the internet over a wifi network?

i have a wifi network working fine sharing files and printers ect
i now wish to share the internet as well
i have wifi on my motherboard and its set up adhoc
i have a billion asdl/router/4port hub
connecting to aapt broadband

shane

Relevancy 48.16%

How do i configure a adsl router/hub to share the internet over a wifi network?

i have a wifi network working fine sharing files and printers ect
i now wish to share the internet as well
i have wifi on my motherboard and its set up adhoc
i have a billion asdl/router/4port hub
connecting to aapt broadband

shane

Relevancy 48.16%

How should I bridge or share the internet between these two networks ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A:Internet sharing wifi and USb

Bridging usually works best for ICS.

Here's a checklist of things for ICS and file sharing for 2 croslinked computers (in my case a Windows 7 and XP one):

- both computers set to the same workgroup
- restarts
- advanced sharing settings - all things turned on (network discovery etc.) except for password protected sharing
- bridged the connection with the internet
- turned on Internet Connection Sharing for the internet connection - this forced an ip to the other connection (192.168.137.1) and gave an option to select which connection should have access to the ICS (the second connection or the bridge - you choose the second / crosslinked cable connection)
- shared some folders on both computers
- worked instantly (the other pc aquired a correct ip and internet)

Using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)

Notice how in the link above they use a switch to connect more than one computer to the ICS machine.

The way you are doing it may not work correctly because you are daisy chaining the ICS machines end to end.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/112303-internet-sharing-wifi-usb.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi everyone I have dell laptop and i'm running the Ethernet cable to receive internet and works fine however when i turn my wifi adapter so i can use the My working wifi is sharing not internet in my iphone via wireless over the bars of the My wifi sharing is not working internet i get the yellow triangle and does not work DNS on the wireless adapter shows weird as letter not as number starting example please help here is copy of the ipconfig all thanks in advance computer is DELL windows Intel Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Physical Address -E - B-E -E -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe fd c f a c e Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - - - - - F- -CF- - DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Physical Address -E - B-E -E -E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R WiFi Link BGN Physical Address -E - B-E -E -E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix home Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address - F- -CF- - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address a d ec e a f a d fdd Pre ferred Temporary IPv Address a d ec a fc e d b b Pre ferred Link-local IPv Address fe e a f a d fdd Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Friday August AM Lease Expires Friday August AM Default Gateway fe e bff fee b DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - - - - - F- -CF- - DNS Servers a d ec e bff fee b NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List home Tunnel adapter isatap EEC D E- - D - AA - DD F DE Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address d d e eb a a c Prefe rred Link-local IPv Address fe e eb a a c Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap home Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix home Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap FEF CA- - -A - B E A Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes

A:My wifi sharing is not working

Looks to me like the Default Gateway in the first section is not complete, needs a number, mine is the same as used to access the Router settings in my browser for setup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/342533-my-wifi-sharing-not-working.html
Relevancy 48.16%

i have a problem with the hotspot . i cant able to start hotspot of laptop . please solve my problem.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/wifi-sharing-or-hot-spot/td-p/5843075
Relevancy 48.16%

i have an internet connection (cabled) connected to my laptop, then i want to share the internet connection to my devices like:
cellphone (wifi)
psp 1000 (wifi or usb)

is there any way pls

A:how do i use my laptop for sharing wifi

The easiest way is to download and install free Connectify Hotspot Lite. It creates a WiFi Hot Spot on your computer, other devices will then see it as an available WiFi connection.

http://www.connectify.me/

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/246066-how-do-i-use-my-laptop-sharing-wifi.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi,

So i have 2 laptops, one is win xp and the other one is 7.
XP one is connected to internet trough a cable. I enabled wifi sharing on it ( control panel ->network and sharing->wireless networks->properties etc etc.) , to connect and use it on the 7 one. Everything sets up ok, the wifi profile shows up on the list and i can connect to it using set password but i get this yellow exclamation mark on 7 and there is no connection.
I can only use the cable on XP laptop, so switching them up is not an option.

Also, the internet connection seem to disapear on XP ( cannot access webpages ) when i connect trough that wireless connection on 7 ( and get exclamation )
What could possibly be wrong?
Thanks.

A:Wifi sharing xp->win7

Presumably you're trying to network the two computers to be able to share Folders and/or Printers? That being the case, it doesn't matter that the XP Laptop connects by ethernet cable and the Win7 one wirelessly, but you need to get the wireless connection working properly as the first step.

Delete any existing 'profiles' that may have been saved. To do this, go into the "Network and Sharing Center" and click the link at the left to "Manage Wireless Networks". Delete the entries in there, or at least the entry that matches the SSID of your router.

Then go through the procedure to "Connect" again, by clicking the network icon in the Notification Area (System Tray), selecting the entry for your router and clicking the Connect button. Enter any WEP/WPA/WPA2 key when prompted and see if that gets you connected properly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/148065-wifi-sharing-xp-win7.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I would Wifi Sharing Questions - HDD via like to share my desktop HDD video files to my Laptop via Wifi in my house Both my computers are windows and I am the only user in my house Also am on Ghz band with quot N quot router but upgrading to quot ac quot in few days Apart from Sharing HDD via Wifi - Questions the below questions will I get better speeds if I buy a new router with builtin usb port and use that instead Questions am having I had to disable password to see files while sharing but when enabled its asking me for userid and password on my laptop Now I am using Local account with no password set - Any idea what I have to enter in user pass Movies are playing good on my laptop but getting pixelated with grey screen shades every few moments and the file sizes are GB What can the cause I am on MB internet line but am sure that is irrelevant Transfer - I am only getting MB s while copying files over the network What is the difference between creating homegroup Vs directly placing an folder drive in sharing mode How to know how many people are connected if I enable sharing Permissions - I had to manually set it to quot everyone quot in order to access my drive but I really just want to add permission for my laptop and nothing else how to appropriately configure it On everyone I think its a huge security issue

A:Sharing HDD via Wifi - Questions

In a home setting your best bet is to setup a home group.
When authenticating to a remote computer for a file share you specify the user as computername\username where computername is the remote computer name and username is a local user on the remote computer. I believe that you must have a password set, blank is not allowed for remote access this wayThe problem is most likely because you are trying to stream it wirelessly. Wireless is one big collision domain, meaning all your wireless devices are fighting to transmit. If you tried wired you'd get better qualityThis is probably going to be due to a hardware bottle neck somewhere (Are you transferring wireless or wired, what standard of wireless are you sending over or what cables are you using end-to-end, hard drive type and speed, how is hardware utilization on both systems during the transfer. Just to name a fewA home group sets up an environment more akin to a centrally managed network where the group creates a trust between devices so you don't have to keep authenticating every time you wish to connect to a shareIf you setup unique accounts to the share you could use a tool like psloggedon to see who is connected or even netstat to see which local systems are connected LAN addresses listed as the foreign addressYes the Everyone group is not a good idea, literally any one that can see your computer on any network you are connected to could get on your computer share. As stated before it would be better to setup unique accounts for each person or simply use a home group.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/68123-sharing-hdd-via-wifi-questions.html
Relevancy 48.16%

My laptop is "HP G62 Notebook PC". It was working fine with Wifi last three years. Now, although the wifi network is detected it is not connecting...when I select the Wifi network and enter the wifi password it is not connected.. tried changing "roaming sensitivity" setting too..but not successful..........reinstalled the driver (ralink RT3090 802.11b/g/n Wifi Adapter) too, but not working.....Internet is working using the LAN cable......Please help..............I REINSTALED WINDOWS AND THE WIFI RECOGNIZED ITSELF AS WIFI A/B/G BUT THE SAME HAPPENED I PUT DRIVES FROM HP BUT NOTHING HAPENED THE SAME PROBLEM AGAIN DOES IT HAS DATE OFF EXPIRE? WIFI CARD ID IN BIOS IS VQF-RT3090BCT HP S.............. AGAIN  

A:HP G62 Notebook Wifi not connecting although wifi network de...

Hi, You have a couple of options as I see it please try these steps might help you to fix your issue. 1) Disconnect the Battery & Adapter then press & hold the power button on Notebook for 30 seconds then turn on the unit and check if the Wireless light turns on. 2) Go to Device manager then uninstall the wireless drivers and restart the unit and check if the light turns on. 3) Please update the Bios & Wireless driver from HP website. 4) If you are comfortable reseating the wireless card which will be on the back panel off your unit you could try this steps as well.  Let us know how it goes!  ****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks********Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

I am an HP Employee.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/HP-G62-Notebook-Wifi-not-connecting-although-wifi-network/td-p/5774759
Relevancy 48.16%

My laptop is "HP G62 Notebook PC". It was working fine with Wifi last three years. Now, although the wifi network is detected it is not connecting...when I select the Wifi network and enter the wifi password it is not connected.. tried changing "roaming sensitivity" setting too..but not successful..........reinstalled the driver (ralink RT3090 802.11b/g/n Wifi Adapter) too, but not working.....Internet is working using the LAN cable......Please help.............. 

Relevancy 48.16%

A few day before the wifi disappers, my laptop had started to lag every few seconds. I tried to find a solution for this problem, but it was of no avail. After the last time I restarted it, it did not recognize any wifi or network. the upper keys have all stopped working, and the screen has become very bright. Moreover, troubleshooting does not recognize any problem.I'd appreciate any help.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/My-wifi-has-completely-disappeard-and-no-network-or-wifi/td-p/5845674
Relevancy 47.73%

I have a peculiar issue where I would need to have "Network and Sharing Center" open to be able to see that my my laptop's wireless connection. I would see the signal bar and also see the dreaded red x.

Even when I have it open, I can see it refreshing each second; like its losing connection and reestablishing.

My internet connection is working and has no issues.

What can this be?

Network and Sharing Center - Open
Network and Sharing Center - Open and refreshed

Network and Sharing Center - Closed

A:Correct Network Tray Icon - Requires Network and Sharing Center Open??

That will probably be your Ethernet connection, not your wireless adapter, you can disable it in the bios if you don't use it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/245622-correct-network-tray-icon-requires-network-sharing-center-open.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hello,

Just saying hi, for a start anyhow.

I've got a Macbook running 10.2.1 that's connected to the internet via Wifi. I've also got a PC running Vista, that can't connect to the internet as it has no WiFi. Can I share my Airport connection to the PC via a LAN cable, and if so, how?

Thanks in advance,

H.

A:Connecting a Mac to a PC and sharing a wifi connection - help!

this article shares the internet via an ethernet to a 360 - but should be the same onto a PC
http://macapper.com/2009/01/29/tutorial-mac-internet-sharing-with-xbox-360/

only issue is if the LAN ports are auto sensing and if not you may need to use a cross over ethernet cable

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-a-mac-to-a-pc-and-sharing-a-wifi-connection-help.977661/
Relevancy 47.73%

What is the fastest most visually obvious way of sharing files between two laptops.
I recently started using MicroSoft SkyDrive...it works awesome...but larger files take to long to upload to the internet...also it adds extra ($) from monthly internet (upload+download).

Is there a similar software that would do the same thing?
Kinda would just like to right click a file "Send to" and select my computer...
then have me accept it from another computer kinda thing.
the thing with sharing is I usually gotta copy/paste file into shared folder..
upload it from second place..go back delete file in shared...

NOTES:

1) I HATE the libraries option.
2) I also HATE the Network Drive thingy...
3) I'm using a Shared Family Network...I don't want everyone on the same wifi network suddenly gaining access to my private content.

Thanks for reading
Hope someone can understand my jumbled question. lol

A:Sharing/Sending Files via WIFI

Quote: Originally Posted by livingdeadboy

What is the fastest most visually obvious way of sharing files between two laptops.
I recently started using MicroSoft SkyDrive...it works awesome...but larger files take to long to upload to the internet...also it adds extra ($) from monthly internet (upload+download).

Is there a similar software that would do the same thing?
Kinda would just like to right click a file "Send to" and select my computer...
then have me accept it from another computer kinda thing.
the thing with sharing is I usually gotta copy/paste file into shared folder..
upload it from second place..go back delete file in shared...

NOTES:

1) I HATE the libraries option.
2) I also HATE the Network Drive thingy...
3) I'm using a Shared Family Network...I don't want everyone on the same wifi network suddenly gaining access to my private content.

Thanks for reading
Hope someone can understand my jumbled question. lol

Good luck in finding what you are searching.

I use the thing you hate so much you need to scream it, Libraries over Homegroup. Nothing is so easy as to simply open Explorer and use files on other computers exactly as if they were on mine PC. Easy, fast, so transparent you don't even realize you are accessing files on another PC.

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/282691-sharing-sending-files-via-wifi.html
Relevancy 47.73%

OK, here's the situation:

On a boat - no hardwire in. Previously had XP machine running ICS and ad-hoc to share connex (WiFI, cell network, whatever I could find would be available to the network). Now using Vista 64, and the ad-hoc is a PITA (have to manually connect at each bootup). So I'm thinking...

If I take the WiFi in to the main computer, then take the LAN out to a wireless router with a crossover cable, disable DHCP and assign IP's (so, kind of a hub), shouldn't I be able to have a sort of ICS access-point thingamabob?

Anyone done this, or heard of this, or think it would/wouldn't work?

Thx,
clamazon

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/193958-sharing-wifi-ics-over-wireless-router.html
Relevancy 47.73%

My laptop has a great wifi connection with my neighbors wifi (with permission). The connection is via a high gain, usb flat panel directional antennae and it works great. I would like to access this connection on my iPad. Is there a way to connect a wireless router to my laptop to provide iPad access to this connection?

Many thanks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/382786-sharing-laptop-wifi-my-ipad.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I am running windows 7 pro on my laptop and i want to share my laptops internet via wifi on my blackberry,i know how to set up ad hoc wifi hotspot on my laptop and i have shared my connection and tried many other options but my blackberrys wifi doesnt pick up my laptops wifi hotspot,please help

Relevancy 47.73%

Hi guys

I have a NETGEAR 600 with excellent connection on all my devices. Is there a way to setup a Wifi sharing system so I can access files from:

1 - Dell XPS 13 w/ Vista
2 - HP EliteBook w/ Windows 8
3 - Mac Mini w/ latest OSX (and Windows 7 via Bootcamp)
4 - 1.5 TB that is connected by USB to HP EliteBook

I'd just like to be able to share files between all devices. Drag files from Mac to Elitebook and vice-verse, drag files from any device to 1.5TB for backup, etc. Basically, all the devices play well together in terms of sharing, grabbing files

Thank you ahead of time for any help!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-wireless-sharing-between-2-pc-1-mac-1-5tb-external-hd.1086693/
Relevancy 47.73%

I am unable to connect my PlayStation 3 to my internet without my ps3 crashing, so I found out a way to connect my ps3 to my laptop and share the internet through an Ethernet cable, it works fine most times but after a while my laptop begins thinking the PlayStation is trying to share internet and causes the internet to be disabled. I haven't been able to find a way to fix this issue, and it happens very frequently. I hope this doesn't seem too complicated.

A:WiFi sharing with PC/PS3 not working properly?

Disable UPNP on the ps3. Leave it on in the router.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/599101/wifi-sharing-with-pcps3-not-working-properly/
Relevancy 47.73%
A:looking for best free wifi sharing software ??

The one built into windows? Just do a search for ad hoc

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/314278-looking-best-free-wifi-sharing-software.html
Relevancy 47.73%

That I am aware of there are currently no federal or state laws that govern who you can share your wifi with I am in the state of Iowa and the broadband ISP that I am with Solved: wifi neighbors your Is the against sharing law? thinking of signing a contract with doesn t seem to have any problems with the number of Solved: Is sharing wifi with your neighbors against the law? computers that I setup on my network but there bandwidth speeds are only optimized for a certain number of PC s I am considering www hughesnet com or www agristar com The area that I live in does offer dsl but the bandwidth is only k or k I can get much higher bandwidths from these two providers but there bills are very high I am in a well established community of about or less people My plan is to setup a wifi connection and share it with all my neighbors who would be willing to split the bill with me I have heard that it is only considered illegal but there are currently no laws on this Does anyone have any advice for this Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 47.73%

I'm having a serious problem trying to connect my other laptops running windows 8, the host laptop that is connected to internet with modem is Compaq Presario g56 laptop also running windows 8, I'm connected to the internet with my evdo modem and this laptop is browsing fine, I download mhotspot to share this connection, this other computers are connected but showing limited connection in their network and sharing panel, the modem have access to internet and the private network I created on the host computer also show access to internet, so why are other computers connected to this computer are not browsing with this internet connection. attached is the screen shot of the host computer this problem had been persistent for more than one week, someone please help me

A:windows 8 not sharing internet with wifi

Originally Posted by computerlife

I'm having a serious problem trying to connect my other laptops running windows 8, the host laptop that is connected to internet with modem is Compaq Presario g56 laptop also running windows 8, I'm connected to the internet with my evdo modem and this laptop is browsing fine, I download mhotspot to share this connection, this other computers are connected but showing limited connection in their network and sharing panel, the modem have access to internet and the private network I created on the host computer also show access to internet, so why are other computers connected to this computer are not browsing with this internet connection. attached is the screen shot of the host computer this problem had been persistent for more than one week, someone please help me

have not resolve this problem, please computer still not sharing to other computers on my network, someone should please help me for God sake

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/34663-windows-8-not-sharing-internet-wifi.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi,

I have a reliance net connect plus data-card which i am using to connect internet on my laptop. I have looked at several forums and sites to share internet using wifi hotspot using the netsh commands but my android detects an connects to the wifi but is unable to access the internet( i have shared my data card internet to the hotspot connection).

For what i have understood till not i think we cannot share internet using hosted network to android devices please tell me a way if we can do that.

So now i came across another post which shares internet using a wifi router,
http://chintanbuch.com/tips-n-tricks/share-internet-using-3g-usb-dongle-router/
I tried changing the configuration and the connecting to the wifi but i am still not able to connect my android device.

Please help me, any method is okay for me. I just need internet access on my mobile phone using the data card.

Thanks.

A:Internet sharing through WIFI router.

Could try this: Virtual Router Plus - Free Portable Virtual Router for Windows

Do not download there! Has a PUP.

Here is good download link: Virtual Router Plus Download - Softpedia

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/67019-internet-sharing-through-wifi-router.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi all I've got two computers in my room a Toshiba laptop and a desktop computer both running W I built via wifi ethernet internet Sharing a few months ago The laptop gets great wifi reception bars while the desktop struggles to get one bar I want to connect the laptop to the PC via ethernet and use the laptop's internet connection I'm having troubles doing this Here's Sharing wifi internet via ethernet what I've done thus far Disabled the desktop's wifi Enabled quot Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection quot on the laptop's ethernet card Plugged in the cable This is where I hit the brick wall On both computers it comes up as quot unidentified network quot I try creating a homegroup on the desktop but I encounter an error quot Windows could not set the network settings quot and quot You can try to change this setting later in the Network and Sharing Center quot I look in the Network and Sharing Center and it says quot Homegroup Joined quot as if no error occurred at all So I try to join the homegroup on the laptop It says quot Larry from LARRY-PC has created a homegroup quot so it recognises it but then it says quot Windows could not setup a homegroup on this computer quot when I try to put in the password I start the HomeGroup Troubleshooter and it troubleshoots network problems After that it says quot Local Area Connection quot doesn't have a valid IP configuration Fixed quot So then I try joining it again and get the same issue I go through the HomeGroup Troubleshooter again and I click quot the problem is not fixed quot and get a list of problems I don't have What can I do Sorry for the long thread tried to be as specific as possible Thanks in advance Larry

A:Sharing wifi internet via ethernet

Quote:
Enabled "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" on the laptop's ethernet card.

No, it is the Laptop's wireless connection that you're sharing (the Laptop's actual connection to the internet). When you do this, Windows will give the Laptop's Local Area Connection the IP address 192.168.0.1 and the "Client" PC gets its IP address automatically by DHCP from the Laptop.

Because "Internet Connection Sharing" uses the 192.168.0.0 Subnet (the Host PC has the address 192.168.0.1 and allocates addresses to Client computers in the range 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254), your router needs to be operating in a different Subnet to avoid an IP addressing conflict. If the third 'octet' (number) of your router's own IP address is "0", change it to 1 or 2 etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/48278-sharing-wifi-internet-via-ethernet.html
Relevancy 47.73%

This is a desktop PC with Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Up until yesterday the PC had perfect internet access via ethernet When I came to use it last night - no access The situation The sys tray icon has a red cross and mouse over produces Not connected - no connections are available The network Adapter is a Realtek PCIe Solved: and not Centre Network Adapter Network in Sharing showing GBE Family Controller and is showing in Device Manager and according to the properties is working correctly The network diagnostics troubleshooter finds the following - Windows could not automatically detect this network s proxy settings When I open Network and Sharing Centre and then click on Change Adapter Solved: Network Adapter not showing in Network and Sharing Centre Settings there is nothing showing in the Network Connection If I click on Connect to a network I get No connections available If I click on Set Solved: Network Adapter not showing in Network and Sharing Centre up a new connection I get Windows did not detect any networking hardware What I have tried I have uninstalled the network adapter from device manager and then reinstalled it Still showing as ok I have run netsh int ip reset quot and quot netsh winsock reset quot I have downloaded and installed the latest adapter drivers I noticed a Windows Critical update had been done at so I restored the system to before that update I restored further back than that update to two days previously None of the above worked and I m not sure what else to try Has the actual hardware failed or is there something else I can do nbsp

Relevancy 47.73%

Hello,

I am currently living in a college dorm and my only source of internet is their registration-protected wifi. The problem is that I cannot install my printer on their wi-fi network and share information between all of my devices.

So, what I would like to be able to do is connect my mac desktop to their wi-fi (I've got that done), and then share the mac desktop's internet connection with my Airport Express router via ethernet. The Airport Express would then broadcast the internet connection to my other devices. I understand how to activate internet sharing on my mac, but I really need help configuring the ethernet port's IP, the Airport Express' settings, DHCP and DNS stuff, etc.

Thank you so much in advance!

Relevancy 47.73%

So i'm having an issue connecting my desktop to my home network for file sharing. My Desktop is connected to the internet like so: Desktop ->(Ethernet cable)-> Uverse 2wire router -> Internet.

I have no issues with my internet connection, and in fact I am posting this from my desktop now. Windows Network Diagnostics finds no issues when I run the trouble shooter. and when I try to connect to a home group it refers me to the network issue.

This issue has plagued me for about 6 months now. I have talked to Uverse tech support, and many of my friends who are into computers and have gotten no answers. Computer is running windows 7 SP1 and again the router is the Uverse 2wire router

How can I make my desktop available for network sharing?

Also here is a screenshot of the network map according to this computer

A:Network Sharing Problem. Connecting Desktop to home network

Have you set up a home network? What is the workgroup name? Are there any passwords of any kind? Have you set your shared settings on each PC in the workgroup?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/207840-network-sharing-problem-connecting-desktop-home-network.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Hello Im New Here

Why i Cant See the Wireless Network Connection And if i Search Manage Wireless Networks in Control Panel It Says

"Wireless Is Not Currently Enabled"

What Should I do??

Relevancy 47.3%

whenever i connect to the internet through dial up connection the network icon in the notification area still displays (not connected ) and when i go to the network and sharing it says not connected, ALTHOUGH i can surf the internet with no problems , AND when i insert the Ethernet cable it doesn't connect !!!!???????
please i need your help

A:problems with network icon and in network and sharing center

Welcome to Seven Forums TruthSeeker.
Click on the big red X in the Network window and see what it shows. You might have to clone a MAC address, looks like you have several net adapters.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/176590-problems-network-icon-network-sharing-center.html
Relevancy 47.3%

I have windows 7 Ultimate installed (was originally installed as a clean install) and have ever since it was RTM. Everything has been running flawlessly and still is except for one thing. My network cards don't show up under Network and Sharing Center, but they do show normally under device manager and my network connection is rock solid. Currenly I'm plugged into a 10/100mb At&t U-Verse Residential Gateway (router). Because of this I can't manage either of my NICs and I can't join my homegroup.

The NICs are intergrated into the motherboard. The NICs are Nvidia nForce adapters.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Or at least know where I can go to figure this out?

Thank you!!

A:Network Adapter Not Shown in Network and Sharing Center

Have you tried downloading and installing the latest drivers from Nvidia?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/74958-network-adapter-not-shown-network-sharing-center.html
Relevancy 47.3%

I have a linksys usb600n (v2) using the Win7 driver from linksys. It installs and is displayed correctly in Device Manger - BUT it doesn't appear in the Network and Sharing Center as an adapter. This same device and driver were previously working just fine in this system - but I rebuilt the OS (clean install) after testing a number of security products out.

The initial install went fine - no problems that I remember - just plug in the adapter and install the drivers obtained from Linksys (Ver 3.00.01.0). I tried the same thing on the re-build and it looks fine until I go into the Network Center and can't set up wireless networking since the adapter does not appear.

SIW shows TWO (2) linksys USB adapters under Hardware/Network Adapters, but does not show the network adapters in the Network Information section.

Any ideas?

A:Network Adapter Not Shown in Network and Sharing Center

Quote: Originally Posted by dhartmann4030

I have a linksys usb600n (v2) using the Win7 driver from linksys. It installs and is displayed correctly in Device Manger - BUT it doesn't appear in the Network and Sharing Center as an adapter. This same device and driver were previously working just fine in this system - but I rebuilt the OS (clean install) after testing a number of security products out.

The initial install went fine - no problems that I remember - just plug in the adapter and install the drivers obtained from Linksys (Ver 3.00.01.0). I tried the same thing on the re-build and it looks fine until I go into the Network Center and can't set up wireless networking since the adapter does not appear.

SIW shows TWO (2) linksys USB adapters under Hardware/Network Adapters, but does not show the network adapters in the Network Information section.

Any ideas?

Hi dhartmann. Welcome to Windows Seven Forums!

It would seem that your computer is confused!! I would suggest, while the usb adapter is plugged in, you remove all drivers in "Device manager". Then unplug the usb adapter and reboot the computer. After Windows has loaded, check "Device manager" again for any remnants of usb adapter drivers. If it is clean, plug the adapter in again so that the usb driver can install again but this time with only one instance. That should un-confuse your computer and allow the adapter to appear in network adapters again.

Let us know if this provides a solution or if we need to try something else?

Robert

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/22044-network-adapter-not-shown-network-sharing-center.html
Relevancy 47.3%

My Sharing via ethernet connection to computer a WiFi another ISP provides service only via I use laptop A most of the time The captive portal for the service provider only allows one login per account at a time The policy is intended to prevent multiple people sharing one account It's just me I'm the only user but very occasionally I'd like to have a nd laptop access Sharing a WiFi connection to another computer via ethernet the internet simultaneously No abuse just the simple convenience of not having to logout from A if I need to use B for seconds What I want to set up seems simple and it probably is WiFi Internet lt --- gt Laptop A lt --- gt ethernet cable lt --- gt Laptop B such that Laptop B can share A's active WiFi connection without having to request its own unique address from the ISP At present Laptop A has its network interfaces set up so - WiFi is connected active functional Selected the quot Yes turn on sharing and connect to devices quot in sidebar - Under the wired network properties IP Version I manually set addresses to be IP Subnet Gateway Laptop B has only a wired network set to IP Subnet Gateway A amp B can connect directly to each other share folders etc What do I need to do in order to get laptop B to transparently use A's WiFi connection My guess is that A needs to be set up to do some routing between the internet side and the subnet and B needs to be set up to look to A as its quot ISP quot but I don't know where to begin Thank you

A:Sharing a WiFi connection to another computer via ethernet

What you want is to be able to create an ad hoc connection wirelessly. You may want to look into this post and see if this solves your problem however please note that it may not work due to your ethernet connection in between though I am not entirely sure since I have not tried this...

How To Create Wireless Ad Hoc Internet Connection In Windows 8

Note
You will need a crossover cat5e or cat6 ethernet cable if you are connecting two computers together

Hope This Helps,
Josh!

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/26707-sharing-wifi-connection-another-computer-via-ethernet.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Right I am gong bonkers Windows7x64Ultimate(Wifi)+Windows7x32(Lan) Sharing Help Homegroups & : so please help so far PC x Windows Ultimate Wifi PC x Windows Home LAN Checked so far as ok IPv is set to on on both the systems' adapters HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet services Help : Windows7x64Ultimate(Wifi)+Windows7x32(Lan) Homegroups & Sharing TCPIP Parameters is set to on both maschines Firewall is on using windows and microsoftsecurity essentials Password for network is identical on both machine Sharing on Both PCs are discoverable Peer Networking Grouping in services msc is started and running on both machines PNRP Machine Name Publication Service Help : Windows7x64Ultimate(Wifi)+Windows7x32(Lan) Homegroups & Sharing in services msc is also running on both machines and on Workgroup on both PCs the same named 'MYGROUP' Both PCs see each other so I see PC x and PC x in both the PCs network neighbourhoods Now here's the details which I am not too sure about When accessing PC x from PC x the system says it can access PC as IPv is not set on which it is When trying to access PC x from PC x W windows respond with Network Error Quote Check the spelling of the name Otherwise there might be a problem with your network THIS IS A CLUE I GUESS To try and identify and resolve network problems click Diagnose Error Code x The Network path was not found When detecting problems in remote host connectivity the result is Quote file and print sharing resource PC x is online but isn t responding to connection attempts The other puzzle is in control panel gt Network and Sharing gt Connect to Network the network on PC x is connected to a network named 'Network' on the home network PC x is connected to a network named 'WifiNet' which is the Wifi Network Choosing PC x in it's own network 'LanNet' shows both PC's and PC x is of course accessible and can see all the selected shared folders and accessible Choosing PC x in it's own network 'LanNet' or choosing PC x from the PC x will result in a message again relaying IPv is not running again it is in RegEdit Network Adapter Properties Again all are set to sharing same network password all visible and can see icons in both Network Groups The Network names are not the same name and I can not seem to change them as the wifi network has to be on the wifi called WifiNet I know I am missing something but this is absolutely bonkers and driving me nuts On the Win x Machine I have even tried setting up a user account called PC x with again the same password lets say but still no good Previously on PC x I had XP and all was accessible from PC x but PC x XP could never see PC x Win this shouts to me a Windows issue I am sobbing here and know I will laugh uncontrollably when the solution is presented It is worth noticed I had uninstalled ZoneAlarms from PC x PLEASE PLEASE Help me Thank you

A:Help : Windows7x64Ultimate(Wifi)+Windows7x32(Lan) Homegroups & Sharing

Any reason you want to use IPv6 and Homegroup, instead of IPv4 and workgroup. Homegroup has issue some some hardware (especially older)

How to Disable “HomeGroup” Feature in Windows 7? - Tweaking with Vishal

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/141227-help-windows7x64ultimate-wifi-windows7x32-lan-homegroups-sharing.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Guys at the forum here are the specs of my home wifi connection Main desktop PC Core Duo GHz GB RAM running Win XP SP Old Dell Latitude C Win XP SP MHz MB RAM The Dell is using a PCMCIA WiFi card given by a friend in the office It is a Linksys Wireless G notebook adapter supporting b g the Main PC has a Gigabyte GN-A G Access Point connected via a network cable The Problem below 800Kbps! WiFi Internet Sharing & speed both connect smoothly and there is nobody who uses a pc in our area so wifi has no security there is no rd party involved but i copy files over network and all i get is speed less than Mb the range WiFi speed below 800Kbps! & Internet Sharing of the two PCs are merely feet and the connection is quot G quot I have everything in default but nothing works to speed up Also i tried with my dad s HP Compaq nx and the speed rose up to Mbps That is the maximum achieved Problem The Dell Pc has a dial up connection and i used the sharing feature to share it through the network and it goes good But the desktop PC doesn t access the internet It just stays connected Also have to mention I m using ZoneAlarm Free Firewall I also have given the device to trusted But still I can t seem to access the internet from the main PC little stuck up in there My main problem is on Question it is ok if is not answered Thanks to all who reply Regards Timothy nbsp

Relevancy 47.3%

Hello IP / Sharing) No Ethernet Valid Usb / (WiFi configuration everyone I come to you after i wandered and tryed all No Valid IP configuration (WiFi / Ethernet / Usb Sharing) reset protocol as possible throughout the world I've never done this before But I can't wait anymore So I come on forums looking for a kind soul So my problem My computer worked fine until now Then I tried to connect on the new ethernet of my apartment in Japan And then This is the drama No More valid IP configuration No Valid IP configuration (WiFi / Ethernet / Usb Sharing) on all my connections I'm on Windows I have three types of connections that works on my other computer Ethernet Net Asahi Fiber Optics No Valid IP configuration (WiFi / Ethernet / Usb Sharing) Wifi Softbank Pocket Wifi Usb sharing connection NTT Docomo on Android Huawei For the three No Valid IP configuration appears I tried Norton analysisregisters integrity analysis Uninstall all my network card drivers and reinstall them by restarting each time Reset my IP setting TCPIP Winsock flushdns release ipconfig renew with all controls can be found on the net admin Spend my Ip automatic search and DNS Protocol on IPV and IPV Disable my Norton firewall and windows Delete my winsock register and and restore Restart DHCP service Reset all my routersThe resolution tool for windows network problems times Reinstall the protocol of connection C Windows INFSpend hours with Windows technical service charming person but could not help me Well I think I've been around I am joining you ipconfig all with three connections A Windows error reports of the problem solving manager A print screen of my graphics card drivers and my device manager Nouveau document texte txt Please Save me Thank you

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-10-a/129013-no-valid-ip-configuration-wifi-ethernet-usb-sharing.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Ok, so i have my WiFi max, which is a usb dongle netowork device thing. Back in XP, i used it as a "router" or "access point" for my PS3's wifi internet. In windows 7, i have installed the driver for this dongle, installed the software, but when i connect my ps3 to it, it says "The ip address cannot be found". My computer is connecto to the internet, and i want to share that inernet with the one that the dongle sends out. This worked in XP, i just pressed on the connection my computer was connected to and enabled internet connection sharing. I do the same thing in Windows 7, but it wont work...Any suggestions? Can it be a firewall thing? I have windows firewall turned off, but i guess it still might be blocking it....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/272137/windows-7-wifi-sharing-problemusb-router/
Relevancy 47.3%

Ok, so i have my WiFi max, which is a usb dongle netowork device thing. Back in XP, i used it as a "router" or "access point" for my PS3's wifi internet. In windows 7, i have installed the driver for this dongle, installed the software, but when i connect my ps3 to it, it says "The ip address cannot be found". My computer is connecto to the internet, and i want to share that inernet with the one that the dongle sends out. This worked in XP, i just pressed on the connection my computer was connected to and enabled internet connection sharing. I do the same thing in Windows 7, but it wont work...Any suggestions? Can it be a firewall thing? I have windows firewall turned off, but i guess it still might be blocking it....

Relevancy 47.3%

how can i share internet via wifi to windows 7 system using fedora as router..?

A:internet sharing via wifi from fedora to windows 7

please guys ..help me with this..
i have fedora system on one and windows 7 ultimate on other installed.
and i have only one LAN connection which is to fedora system.
so how can i use internet on windows 7 system using wifi...?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/181822-internet-sharing-via-wifi-fedora-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 46.44%

How hard is it to share laptop wifi with phone? To boost signal

A:I've heard sharing phone wifi with computer but can you reverse that

Create an ad-hoc network, using the wireless nic, and connect the phone to it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/227960-ive-heard-sharing-phone-wifi-computer-but-can-you-reverse.html
Relevancy 46.44%

hello
is there any method to send files on my laptop to my mobile or another laptop using wifi direct ??
i hope you could help

A:sharing files between laptop and mobile via wifi direct

there basically is apps on your iphone/phone like photosync (i think it's called photosync) search for apps like photo transfer or wifi photo in your search on the phone with apps..

they will then make you go to your computer and download an app on your computer and then they communicate together phone to computer over the same wireless network.. and yes there are some free ones out there..

thats the best i can give you for now..

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/59161-sharing-files-between-laptop-mobile-via-wifi-direct.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi I recently had to install a d-link dwa- wireless card into my desktop after a power surge killed both of my gigabit ethernet nics I can get the card to sharing Media working?? not Wifi Solved: server communicate with my dlink dgl- wireless router just Solved: Wifi Media server sharing not working?? fine My problem is trying to access my media server which stores everything for me My media server is a a Ubuntu LTS desktop version with samba server installed I could access the media server when I was hardwired into the router Now that I am wireless I can no longer access the machine I am running Windows build I have run a ping command and it pings fine I can see the server in the network just unable to connect I am not trying to do a VNC connection to the machine just a mapped network drive to access the files Any thoughts Edit After a thinking of everything expect the obvious new mac address forcing me to default network security Went through looking at the security permissions of the folder and I had none Changed it to full access and now I have access to my media server nbsp

A:Solved: Wifi Media server sharing not working??

Boy, solved this in less than 15 minutes, we are good here!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wifi-media-server-sharing-not-working.791684/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello I have a wireless adsl router in preparation for broadband arriving in our area soon long story and have some questions Network help!?!? Wifi Wifi Router / I have a laptop with wifi card and want to setup a home network with this and my PC plugged-in via LAN Wifi Router / Wifi Network help!?!? cable to the router laptop is XP PC is Win Wifi Router / Wifi Network help!?!? K I can t seem to get this to work one minute the PC can see the laptop in network neighbourhood and then the other way round but I can never access shared directories on either is there a good guide somewhere to Wifi Router / Wifi Network help!?!? set this up Also shouldn t I be able to use the router from the PC as if it were a wifi card i e on the laptop once the wifi card is plugged in it displays all wifi networks in the area and their signal strength etc how can I do this using the router PC With the laptop I can connect to our neighbours wifi router and use their bradband connection but I want to do the same from the PC is that possible Thanks in advance all P S router is a D-Link DSL- nbsp

Relevancy 46.44%

Okay, usually when you hover over the networks listed and available from the taskbar icon, you get a nice little window with a few helpful tidbits of info for each listed network when you mouse action hover over the names. It tells you the encryption type, and the SSID, plus a few other details.

Well, on my computer, the information is appearing behind the list to where I can't read it. The network list is overlapping on top of the hover info. Talk about annoying. I searched for various things on google, with no luck. I tried:

Windows 7 network list obscuring hover details, and various other combinations to no avail. Anyone here have a clue what might be breaking this? I'd like the hover details to appear properly so I can read it. In the meantime I've installed the free version of Acrylic Wifi to work around the issue. Thanks.

A:Wifi Network info/details appearing behind Network List on hover.

The problem must be driver based or an add-on program because I don't get any of that. All I get is the name and whether it's connected or not. Check that your adaptor driver is up to date and/or the program you use to display the data is up to date.

Forgot to mention:
Dell adds "bloatware" to their PCs to "improve the user's experience" so I would check Dell Support for your specific model and look for updates.

Dell Support

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/366682-wifi-network-info-details-appearing-behind-network-list-hover.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hello,

I have a BT modem which incorporates a wireless modem and 4 switches for hardwiring via ethernet.

I have had to set up a long ethernet cable because the wireless signal does not reach. The ethernet cable is less than 100 m. (About 30m).

I know that the ethernet cable works properly. I know that the modem receives the internet becasue I can connect to it wirelessly via another computer (laptop).

I also know that the wireless modem requires a password.

When I connect with the ethernet cable and bring up 'Network and Sharing Centre'. I find that I get 'Unidentified Network' (Public Network). When I try repairing with Windows Network Diagnostics this does not solve the problem.

Any ideas?

Nevica

A:'Unidentified Network' in Network and Sharing Centre

If you are trying to setup a Wireless connection then the logon name and password must be EXACTLY the same as the original setup.
If you can position the receiver( the comp) close to the sender( router/modem) then when it is up and running you will be able to see how strong the signal is. Then when you move the comp to where it is going to be used you will see how much drop off you are getting. If you are getting substantial drop of in signal strength then look around for how to improve the signal .
NB. Signal strength can be affected by moving the Modem as little as 25mm.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/263793-unidentified-network-network-sharing-centre.html
Relevancy 46.01%

so I just went into my network and sharing center to turn off IPv6 connectivity on my laptop because it was affecting my ISP and all of a sudden I find out there is a wireless connection 2, any idea on what this is for because I have never seen it on that window and when I go and disable my regular wireless connection they both go away and when I re-enable the normal one both come back up if anybody knows what this is for please let me know I am attaching a screenshot

A:wireless Network 2 in Network and Sharing Center

Kindly read my 2nd and 4th post in this thread: Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter....???

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/320447-wireless-network-2-network-sharing-center.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi all,

I've recently encountered a ...glitch Every time I connect to wifi (haven't tested with LAN yet) I see original network duplicated

Both "connections" brings up same connection parameters' window.

Any ideas what's the problem and how can I fix it ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/397187-duplicated-network-network-sharing-center.html
Relevancy 46.01%

PRODUCT: HP Chromebook 11 G4S/N: 5CD5515QDCGoogle Chrome OS Version 50.0.2661.103Platform 7978.74.0Firmware Google_Kip.5216.227.25 This device is frustrating my spouse to no end.  It keeps dropping our home wifi network connection.  I have to shutdown power, wait, and power back on and it refreshes.  This is annoying. I am seriously considering returning this device.  The whole point of this purchase was stability and ease of browsing and light internet use.  Frustration is not part of the purchase.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Network-Connection-Error-Dropped-Home-WiFi-Network-only-on/td-p/5638654
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi,

I have a laptop and a desktop - both running windows 7 ultimate.

Desktop is connected via LAN cable to a TP Link ADSL cum Router. Laptop is connected to router via wireless access point.

I want to transfer files between laptop and desktop

I have assigned home network to both of them.
Turned off password protected sharing
Shared Drives in both of them with full access to everyone in settings.

Still I am not able to share files between them.

Any suggestions?

A:File sharing between Desktop and Laptop via ADSL Wifi router

What type of error message are you getting?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/318134-file-sharing-between-desktop-laptop-via-adsl-wifi-router.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Is there a way to setup network profiles or something so that when I bring my Surface Pro to work and connect to the wireless network there it will use the static ip address I have but when I disconnect and then connect to my home wifi it will go back to DHCP? On my MacBook Pro I can go into the network settings and change the location profile I have setup for networks but I don't see anything like this for Windows 8.

A:Specific network settings based on wifi network

You can go into IPv4 Properties of this NIC, then you can use the Alternate configuration tab to set up the alternate IP, or use the Advanced tab to add a static IP/gateway/DNS etc. to TCP/IP.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/29158-specific-network-settings-based-wifi-network.html
Relevancy 45.58%

I'm building a subscription wifi network for our area.

Cisco Aironet 1550 series: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5679/ps11451/data_sheet_c78-641373.html
Proxim Orinocor series: http://www.proxim.com/products/enterprise-wireless-lan-wi-fi-mesh/orinocor-wi-fi-mesh-series

The Proxim seems like the better product, and sells for a bit less.

Will I need to purchase anything else besides several of these for the network? I'm assuming the 'home' router connects to a PC (or the PC via the gateway address) for managing the network.

Thanks allot for your insight.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-wimax-network-creating-a-subscription-network.1011867/
Relevancy 45.58%

I have windows 7 32 bit on my hp 530 notebook. Since a few days when i try to connect to any network it shows connected but when i click on networks it says identifying network. I do have the latest drivers. I have windows 8 installed and wifi works fine in it.

Please reply.

Relevancy 45.58%

I have just bought a Sony Bravia HX723. It has built in wi-fi.

I am currently a student living in halls so only have access to an ethernet cable in my room. I have connected this up to my Mac so I can use the internet sharing on it to send out wifi signal. My HTC phone can receive it fine, so I know it's not specific to Apple. However, my new tv cannot connect to it saying 'Wireless Device on TV - found, Local Access- failed, Inernet Access- failed'.
I've have tried taking the password off of this, turning things on and off, including 'web sharing' aswell as the internet sharing that's on, changed the channel that it's being broadcast on, changing the password. All sorts! I do not want this amazing feature to go to waste and desperately require help!

A:Sony Bravia tv with built in wifi cannot connect to my Mac's internet sharing facilit

i suspect this is against the terms of the halls - most do not allow sharing or wireless devices - to ensure multiple devices are not added to their network
whats the rules in your halls

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sony-bravia-tv-with-built-in-wifi-cannot-connect-to-my-macs-internet-sharing-facilit.1041801/
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi I create a hotspot in my windows 8.1 to share connection with my psp device but the encryption of hotspot is wpa2 and my
psp doesn't support it is there a way I can change encryption to wpa or none

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9c3a732c-7de8-4814-9e1d-5989ec7ab182/can-i-change-wifi-sharing-hotspot-encryption-on-windows-from-wpa2-to-wpa-or-open?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 45.58%

HELLO, 

I am facing a problem my laptop is connected to a Bluetooth internet network and I am accessing internet on the laptop, I have created a virtual wifi hotspot on laptop and I want to share bluetooth internet connection but it shows no network access how to
enable Bluetooth internet sharing. 

Please help

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/30d8ee9b-5b16-42ab-92e6-a05550c12721/sharing-bluetooth-internet-connection-by-creating-a-wifi-hotspot-in-windows-8?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 44.72%

I Bought Pavilion -ab tx available ... Wifi every and network shows no access network no one and half month ago and it started having this problem weeks after buying Wifi suddenly disconnects and then it shows no networks available even when there are many Wifi shows no network available and no network access every ... networks available Mobile phone always show that they are available nbsp nbsp Wireless card nbsp Realtek RTL BE RTL EE b g n OS - Windows -bit nbsp I have tried everything to solve this System restore Recovery Updating BIOS Reseting using CMD updating wireless driver rolling back the driver to initial one But nothing has helped yet It shows the network is available if I'm sitting next to modem Then also it doesn't show other Wifi shows no network available and no network access every ... wifi Wifi shows no network available and no network access every ... networks around my home that my phone does nbsp nbsp Now obviously laptop's wifi is supposed to be better than the mobile phone's wifi but its just the opposite here The problem might be here that it loses its strength every now and then but whatever it is I'm terribly disappointed in the product that I've bought nbsp

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Wifi-shows-no-network-available-and-no-network-access-every/td-p/5674339
Relevancy 44.72%

Sorry if this has already been discussed. Couldn't find on a search.

I have a small secured network in my office with a modem/router networking three computers wirelessly. I would like to add another router that would allow clients in the waiting room of my office to have internet access. Could you assist me in a setup or map? I already have a wireless Linksys router available to use as the second router.

Thank You

A:Adding Wifi Network to an Already Secured Network

Are those in the waiting room to be allowed into OR forbidden access to your Lan systems?

You already have

Code:
modem---router----your.lan.systems
to Isolate the W.R from your lan, connect

Code:

modem---router----your.lan.systems (assumed 192.168.1.x or 0.x)
|
+---new router (new channel+ssid+no encryption)
set LAN addresses and DHCP for 192.168.10.x

add firewall rule to ALL your existing LAN systems to deny src address range=192.168.10.0 thru 10.255

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-wifi-network-to-an-already-secured-network.118448/
Relevancy 43%

Hello,

I have a laptop running windows Vista Premium and a home computer running Windows XP. I seem to be having a problem accessing my shared folders from my Vista on my XP computer. I go to "My Network Places" in XP" then go to View Workgroup Computers, and I see the icon for my Vista Computer's name. I click on it and it opens a "Connect to (name)" window. It asks for a username and password. I don't know what this is. Where do I find it. Also, is there a way to get rid of that connect to menu popping up evertime I want to access my laptop shared folders. Thank you.

-Tom

A:Network Sharing

You would need to enter a user account info from the Vista machine (either the account you use all the time, or the administrator account). To avoid that, you could map a network drive to the vista computer shared folders. (open cmd prompt and type)
Code:
net use [driveletter of your choice that is not being used e.g. h:\] [\\Vista machine name, or ip address\shared folder name]
Alternatively, you could right click My Computer and select "Map a network drive" for a GUI of the same process.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/network-sharing-214927.html
Relevancy 43%

Hey guys,

Ok so I'm new here at SevenForums. So what I want to do is connect my Vista PC, and my Windows 7 laptop to my XP laptop which has a printer. I have two printers, one connected to the Vista Desktop and one to the XP laptop. I would also like to enable file sharing. All of these computers are connected to my wireless Internet network. The XP is connected with an Ethernet cable though. Could you guys please help me with this?

Thanks,
Mega99

A:3 PC Network Sharing

Quote: Originally Posted by Mega99

Hey guys,

Ok so I'm new here at SevenForums. So what I want to do is connect my Vista PC, and my Windows 7 laptop to my XP laptop which has a printer. I have two printers, one connected to the Vista Desktop and one to the XP laptop. I would also like to enable file sharing. All of these computers are connected to my wireless Internet network. The XP is connected with an Ethernet cable though. Could you guys please help me with this?
Thanks,
Mega99

Hello Mega99, and welcome to Windows Seven Forums.

In my home network, I have three Windows 7s, a couple of XPs, a couple of Ubuntus, and two printers happily co-existing.

Since the Vista and XP computers cannot use Windows 7's HomeGroup, you will have to add 7 to your Workgroup. In Windows 7 you might as well remove any traces of HomeGroup and disable IPV6: Start here by leaving and removing HomeGroup

Then look at this MS link: if your computer does not have this reg entry, add it with the "dword 0xffffffff" as instructed to disable IPV6 How to disable certain Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) components in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008

Next have your Windows 7 computer join your Workgroup:

To share files between computers you will have to select or create folders, open their properties and "share" with "Everyone".

Also in the Advanced Network Sharing you might want to have setting like this: these are for a simple (not secured) home network

You will need at least one identical user account (with administrator privileges) on each computer to simplify access. You will only need to login once with this account to be given access.

Windows 7 will only be able to print to 7 compatible printers, ie those with drivers. To find out if your printers will work with 7, one way is to temporarily connect the printer directly to the 7 computer. If drivers are found and loaded and you can print, then you will be able to print via your home network. You can also check the printer manufacturer's web site for updated printer drivers. For example, both my printers are connected to my XP computer. 7 has no problem with my HP PSC 1610, although I have not been able to use the scanner yet. However, my Canon S600 is to old and Canon refused to write drivers for Vista or 7, so to use it I have to copy the file to my XP computer and print from there.

Windows 7 uses WPA or WPA2-Personal network security. If you are now using WEP you will have to change to WPA. It is better anyway.

I hope this will get you started, I am sure I have forgotten a few things. No doubt you will have questions along the way. There are many skilled, knowledgeable Gurus here at Windows Seven Forums with networking experience to answer your questions. Feel Free.

Cheers!
Robert

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/66050-3-pc-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 43%

We have 3 computers (two with Win98 & 1 with Win2K) and just purchased a 4th unit (Gateway Pen4 2gig) with Windows 2000. We have all hocked up to a network but the new system will not share with the other Win98 computers. From the new system we can see all the other computers so the network is fine, and the other Win2K can share with the new computer as well but not the Win98's. Instead of asking for a logon and password like the Win2K unit the Win98's get a "Enter Network Password" window that has a Resource:\\PC$ and asks for a Password. We have set up everything under the sharing with the new computer but the 98's cannot get past the "Enter Network Password" window.

Can anyone help,,, Please

A:Network sharing between 2K & 98

So..neither of the Win2k PCs can share with the Win98 machines?

Try these directions: http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/w2kwin9x.htm

Be sure to follow what step 5 says. Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-sharing-between-2k-98.118460/
Relevancy 43%

I am trying to share my computer on my network. I am using 2 desktops with a wireless router. Both hook up to the net just fine but I want to do a file share. I went to the hard drive and activated file share on both but dont know why it isnt working. Thanks for any help.

A:network sharing

Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

More details about how to network XP can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting usually works. If browsing is a problem, you might set it to Enabled. But do not Disable it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-sharing.357672/
Relevancy 43%

i need help on how to get a network sharing tab b/c i dont have one on my properties

A:network sharing tab

What is your OS? Vista or Windows 7?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/network-sharing-tab-415764.html
Relevancy 43%

I have two XP machines. I have an old unreal tournament game. I have installed the game on both machines but they both require the CD. I have seen gaming setups that allow a game cd to be shared via LAN. I tried just sharing the drive and I can see the CD but when I try to play the game on my kids computer I get a no disk error "No Disk in drive D:, Please insert disk" I did a regedit to see if I could find where to point the unreal.exe to my shared drive but no luck . Does anybody know how to share the game, if its even possible.
Thanks for any help,
Jeff

A:sharing a CD rom across the network

You should be able to create a shortcut on your desktop that point to the mapped drive and the excutable file. Reserach something called virtual drives also.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-a-cd-rom-across-the-network.518733/
Relevancy 43%

I have all the computers in the network shown, but none of them can be reached from another they say u do not have permission. may I get a way to fix this?

thanks in advance
nickc

A:Network not sharing

Which versions of Windows are on ALL of your systems?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-not-sharing.189257/
Relevancy 43%

I turned on network sharing on my computer. when i try to connect to it it asks for a password but i didnt set one

It's likely looking for the admin / primary user account password. (for the target computer, not the one you're trying to connect from.)

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/183415-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 43%

I have a client NETWORK sharing who has a Linksys N router NETWORK sharing with both wireless and wired settings They NETWORK sharing have computers connected to the router and can all share the Internet perfectly well The computers are mostly running various versions of XP and have different levels of virus scans and firewalls The network is MSHOME The ip address is and all users have ip addresses running from to with most computers connected both wirelessly and wired I ve just added a VISTA Home computer to the network For some reason I can ping the vista computer I can see it but i can t access it I ve turned off all Firewalls all Virus protection all password protection I ve enabled the sharing of the documents and the printers without any requirements I don t understand why I can t access the resources does anyone have any ideas All computers are updated and the firmware on the router is the most updated I chatted with Linksys and they said it should work Thanks Lauren nbsp

A:NETWORK sharing

PC Chuck's Windows XP And Vista On The LAN Together

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-sharing.828568/
Relevancy 43%

Someone told me it is possible to enhance the performance of one computer by networking it to another. Is this true?

Relevancy 43%

Hello this is my first post If I did anything wrong I am very sorry I am setting up a computer as server in my office so certain people in my office can access the shared drive from their own computers and I want to restrict other people from accessing the files on this shared drive I have had this shared drive to everyone with full access and this server computer does have its own login password When I first sharing help on Need network had it setup I remember Need help on network sharing any computer trying to access it require a password credential like this And all the computers I did try to access the server had the quot Remember my credentials quot unchecked However now seems any computers as Need help on network sharing long as it gets connected in our office network can access it without credential anymore I have checked all these computers' credential manager and there is no saved credential at all So where did I do wrong on this

A:Need help on network sharing

Quote: Originally Posted by ilovejdmtoy

Hello, this is my first post. If I did anything wrong, I am very sorry.

I am setting up a computer as server in my office so certain people in my office can access the shared drive from their own computers. (and I want to restrict other people from accessing the files on this shared drive)

I have had this shared drive to everyone with full access and this server computer does have its own login password.

When I first had it setup, I remember any computer trying to access it require a password (credential) like this. And all the computers I did try to access the server had the "Remember my credentials" unchecked.

However now seems any computers as long as it gets connected in our office network can access it without credential anymore.

I have checked all these computers' credential manager, and there is no saved credential at all.

So where did I do wrong on this?

You didn't do anything wrong.

The problem is that once a machine as been accessed using credentials, Windows tends to remember those credentials so you don't have to type them in the next time. I believe there is a local security policy where you can change this behavior so it requires a user name and password to be typed in each time.

There are other ways to share with only certain Users but it involves setting up a Homegroup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/285068-need-help-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 43%

Hello,

I have a laptop running windows Vista Premium and a home computer running Windows XP. I seem to be having a problem accessing my shared folders from my Vista on my XP computer. I go to "My Network Places" in XP" then go to View Workgroup Computers, and I see the icon for my Vista Computer's name. I click on it and it opens a "Connect to (name)" window. It asks for a username and password. I don't know what this is. Where do I find it. Also, is there a way to get rid of that connect to menu popping up evertime I want to access my laptop shared folders. Thank you.

-Tom

when you see username and password prompt.
try put username and pass you use to login to vista.

or
create user account in vista (give username and pass same as xp machine)
right click on the share folder (in vista), click on properties, then click on security
in the users list box, click "Add" then type in the user name which is same as username from xp.
give any permission you want, apply the settings

best.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-sharing.675553/
Relevancy 43%

I have laptop and desktop. In order to make taking things from one to the other I have enabled sharing of the Public user documents on both so that they are visable to people on the network. However, they are now just open, and don't have to be logged into. Is there a way to password protect them so they are visible but in order to open them you need a password? I just don't want people who get on the WiFi or others who are here to have access to all my work.

Thanks.

Relevancy 43%

I have a LAN connection between desktop(XP) and laptop(Vista), since laptop has WiFi and desktop PC doesnt have any internet connection, can I share WiFi to the desktop PC, like tethering with android phone? If I can, how?

A:Network sharing over 2 PCs with LAN

Here's the link you need to review - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Using-ICS-Internet-Connection-Sharing

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-sharing-over-2-pcs-with-lan.181141/
Relevancy 43%

I have windows 7 pro. I have a internet dongle and a windows 8 mobile. How can I use my dongle internet in laptop to mobile.

A:Network and sharing

Quote: Originally Posted by jakharnaren

I have windows 7 pro. I have a internet dongle and a windows 8 mobile. How can I use my dongle internet in laptop to mobile.

Connectify is made for setting up a hosted wireless network.
Connectify - Turn your PC into a Wi-Fi Hotspot and Get Faster Internet

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/286873-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 43%

hey im trying to share files between 2 computers using "network" in windows explorer. BUT i get these errors:

1. Error 'code: 0x80070035 The network path was not found (i get this when i try to connect from my laptop to my pc)

2. COMPUTERNAME// Not accessible .. ... (i get this when i try to connect from my pc to my laptop)

*In the worst case scenario are there any alternatives like windows explorer network or somethin that will work for me?

Please help me if u can :/ thnx for reading and God bless u

A:Network Sharing Between 2 PC's[Please Help me]

In both PC's Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Advanced settings: Turn on File and Printer sharing and Network discovery, Turn off password protected sharing.

It's easiest to just knit them together using Homegroup password from one PC, then rightclick every folder you want shared to Share with Homegroup. Homegroup - Add Computer or Join - Windows 7 Help Forums

To do this only via Network sharing, you'll need to rightclick the folder to Share with Specific People or Everyone, choosing Read or Read/Write permissions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/288141-network-sharing-between-2-pcs-please-help-me.html
Relevancy 43%

I am trying to access files on my desktop computer from my other desktop computer. I can access the files fine going from PC 1 to PC2 but when I go from PC2 to PC1 it pops up with a credentials box and wants a password. Since I never set a password before, and it rarely ever wants this screen anyway, I am not sure how to proceed. Why would it want this screen only occasionally, and how do I disable it completely?

Thanks

Relevancy 43%

My network is showing it is public how do I m?ke it a priv?te network? I appreciate any step by step replies. Thanks in advance!

A:Network and sharing

This will run you through it: Change Network Sharing
Good luck.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/389178-network-sharing.html