Windows Support Forum

How To Change The Password On "Password Protected File Sharing"

Q: How To Change The Password On "Password Protected File Sharing"

So I've enabled password protected sharing for Windows 7 (for my first computer).

So now, when I used my second computer to access my first computer's shared files, it obviously prompted me with a password.
My question is, I don't know what's the username and password for that. I was wondering if someone can help me to find my username and password (or guide to reset this password) so my second computer can access the shared files with my first computer while preserving the password security.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How To Change The Password On "Password Protected File Sharing"

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How To Change The Password On "Password Protected File Sharing"

Use the username and password that you use when you log onto the first computer.

If that does not work, try
user = computername\user
password = password

...where computername = the name of the first computer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/323015-how-change-password-password-protected-file-sharing.html
Relevancy 84.01%

hey guys !!!!!!!!!!!
any one please help me out here coz i am not getting how to
CHANGE PASSWORD in password protected sharing

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/177504-how-change-password-protected-sharing-vista.html
Relevancy 82.46%

I have a user that is having a similar problem to the one described in this thread: http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/593620-solved-excel-password-protected-files.html

The difference is that she is having this problem in Excel 2010. I tried navigating to File > Options > General and then removing her name from the 'Username' field, but after saving the workbook, closing Excel and then trying to open the workbook again, she is prompted by Office to enter her name and initials. Even if we delete her information from here and click 'ok' the password prompt comes up (as it should) but still shows '<file name>' is reserved by <user>...

The workbook was originally created as an Excel 97-2003 workbook and apparently has macros; I tried saving it as a .xlsx but had to save it as a macro-enabled .xlsm file. I then tried the same steps to remove her username, but this did not resolve the issue.

A:Excel 2010 password protected workbook "reserved by <username>"

Just a bump since there has been no response

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/excel-2010-password-protected-workbook-reserved-by-username.1053753/
Relevancy 81.22%

As the topic says so, i recently cannot access my vista shared folders...

i went to see if the password protected sharing was ON, and it was.... i tried to turn it off and i couldnt, several tries after i went to check the firewall... and it was OFF... at the top of the windows it says something like this "These settings cant be changed due to Group Policy" or something like that ....

1) i'm the owner of the PC
2) i'm the solely admin of the PC
3) there is no other user in this PC..

what can i do to change this settings ??

BTW i tried to log on in safe mod as the Administrator account, and this didnt change anything... the Group Policy thing keeps appearing

A:Vista Group Policy - cannot change firewall nor password protected sharing

try this one, courtesy of bc...
09-Feb-2007 11:43 AM
Bob Cerelli

Distinguished Member Posts: 17,784

The lack of logon password may also be affecting network access.

To change this setting:

Run gpedit.msc
Go to Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options
Double click on Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console login only
Disable this option

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-group-policy-cannot-change-firewall-nor-password-protected-sharing.546304/
Relevancy 81.22%

Hi,

I have an interesting situation and I am not sure how to go about it... I have many local users all connecting to a network that has a shared hard drive open to all users....

What my users are hoping to achieve is that they each have private folders on the network hard drive where they can privately back up their data. I was fiddling around trying to make it possible for them to access a pc remotely and then access a shared folder on their individual pc's, but I don't know if you can give a specific user on another machine access to a folder on another local machine...

So what I am looking for is a solution in XP to make it possible for each user to have a secure folder in which they can safely and privately store data on a shared and open network hard drive

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

A:Password protected file sharing over LAN

Quote:

Originally Posted by span98

Hi,

I have an interesting situation and I am not sure how to go about it... I have many local users all connecting to a network that has a shared hard drive open to all users....

What my users are hoping to achieve is that they each have private folders on the network hard drive where they can privately back up their data. I was fiddling around trying to make it possible for them to access a pc remotely and then access a shared folder on their individual pc's, but I don't know if you can give a specific user on another machine access to a folder on another local machine...

So what I am looking for is a solution in XP to make it possible for each user to have a secure folder in which they can safely and privately store data on a shared and open network hard drive

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

There are 2 ways that you can Password Protect a Folder.

#1: If the Folder is Zipped, you can add a Password to it. Double-Click and open the Zip File. Select File in the Menu Bar and click "Add Password". Type in your selected Password in the Password Box, Confirm it, then click OK.

To access this File, the user must type in the correct password.

#2: Right-Click the folder that you would like to password protect or make private and select properties. Select the Sharing Tab and check Make this Folder Private. Click Apply. You will then be prompt to a box asking you to assign a password. Type in a Passoword and Confirm it.

Hope this is what your looking for...

-Athen

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/password-protected-file-sharing-over-lan-410675.html
Relevancy 80.6%

At present I have my WIN 7 set to Boot up without a Password. I would now like to change that siuation back to a "Password Required" Boot.

How do I go about this ?

I have tried going into User Accounts >Change Passwords where I get the three boxes "Current Password", "Change Password" and "Confirm New Password" all blank as expected.

Its what happens next that has me puzzled.

I tried leaving the "Current Password" blank , entered a new Password into the "Change Password" box and re-entered this into the last Box .

I now get the message " The password you typed is incorrect. Please re-type your new Password"

What to do here ?

A:How To Change a "No-Password" Bootup Back to a "Password "Bootup ?

You might have windows set up to not require a password or automatically login (stored password), so you still would need to enter the password you had entered when installing windows. This is just a guess though don't hold me to this

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/136574-how-change-no-password-bootup-back-password-bootup.html
Relevancy 110.51%

As above really Trying to create a network to Prompted enter off password turning a password protected sharing after network for file sharing as have upgraded the server part of a Workgroup not a Domain from WinXP to Win and Prompted to enter a network password after turning off password protected sharing experienced problems ever since Ironically the problems haven t mainly been with sharing files between Win and WinXP systems but between Win systems I bought a new Win laptop and tried to connect it to the server but it hasn t had Read Write privileges over the files in the Win server Entering a username and password to gain access to the servers folders has not been a problem and as far as I know opening files such as documents has not been a problem either However when trying to save an edited document access is denied and if I try to open an executable file this is necessary for a node installation it prompts me for a network password Every combination possible of username and password from the systems including or SYSTEMNAME before the username has not worked I tried syncing the times which was apparently a previous problem but to no avail I am unable to access Local Security Policy as the server is running off Home Premium I have tried creating a new workgroup removing and changing passwords enabling guest access to the network through the Windows Resource Kit Command Shell creating identical users on both computers but nothing appears to have worked Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you in advance nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/prompted-to-enter-a-network-password-after-turning-off-password-protected-sharing.1011577/
Relevancy 108.79%

I've read through pages and pages of search results for this but they all seem to be between Win and XP or something not quite the same as my problem Here at home we are all using Windows a mix of Home Premium and Ultimate I have an HTPC which has all our DVDs on This PC has a few shares so we can access our movies across the network I have set up the shares using the Sharing Wizard thing and set 'Everyone' to Read Write I can verify the permissions for the shares in Advanced Sharing gt Permissions and see that 'Everyone' has full control In the Network and Sharing Center the settings for sharing are as follows Network discovery ON File and printer sharing ON for username/password? is protected OFF, Password still asked sharing Public folder sharing OFF no need for it Media streaming ON for WMP Xbox Use -bit encryption ON Password protected sharing OFF Allow Windows to manage Homegroup connections ON I should Password protected sharing is OFF, still asked for username/password? point out after the last bullet point that we are not using a Homegroup So with all that as it is whenever I try to connect to the HTPC shares from another computer I still get prompted for a username and password with the quot X Invalid user name and password quot message beneath the text Password protected sharing is OFF, still asked for username/password? boxes I can however connect without a problem from my laptop which has the same username and password as the admin account on the HTPC The strange thing now - if I type quot anonymous quot into the username box and try to connect I get in Everything then works as it should So either all the computers in our house have decided not to try the quot anonymous quot account or something is up on the HTPC Any ideas Thanks

A:Password protected sharing is OFF, still asked for username/password?

You might want to check that the time/date settings are correct on the HTPC. If they aren't correct on one of your machines it will give you a password prompt as you described.

Also under power options, make sure that it's not set to require a password when coming out of sleep state.

Go to Control Panel, then Power Options "look upper left side". Click "Require a password on wakeup".

Select the radio button "Don't Require a Password" and then Save Changes. Your done.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/109025-password-protected-sharing-off-still-asked-username-password.html
Relevancy 107.93%

Here is my setup A wireless router A Vista Ultimate media center PC file server with wireless card An XP Pro laptop with wireless card I don t have password login screens on any of my computers so the test share folder I setup was done by turning off password-protected file sharing in Vista so XP could access the Vista media center test folder I m okay with this setup so far Now I want to share Is Solved: File is Safe Router Password-Protected? if Passwordless Sharing my entire storage drive in the media center which has all of my files on it I m not Solved: Is Passwordless File Sharing Safe if Router is Password-Protected? worried about the people in my house having access to all those files but my question is will other people within wireless range be able to join the same workgroup as me and be able to access those files or would they first have to get through the wireless router which is password-protected to access the network I m assuming the latter is the case but I wanted to make sure I wasn t missing any loopholes before setting up a full file share of the computer Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer their advice nbsp

A:Solved: Is Passwordless File Sharing Safe if Router is Password-Protected?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-is-passwordless-file-sharing-safe-if-router-is-password-protected.935100/
Relevancy 107.93%

Hello All! I have created a database that uses a login form that directs people to specific forms based on priviledges. However, I would like to provide a form that allows users to change their passwords (preferably with a confirm password box). Also, I have one user defined as Administrator, with a special form. I would like to create a special form for the Administrator to be able to add/delete/edit users and their security levels.

I found similar threads, but none that answered my specific questions- relative to my current setup.

Thoughts?

Relevancy 107.5%

Hello,

Is it possible to change the message The user name or password is incorrect when user is trying to login with a incorrect password? I'm searching for a group policy to change this but can't find anything. I don't want to get a message before
login, I just want to change this message.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9e53423e-c618-42c4-b709-4283d75a95c3/change-message-quotthe-user-name-or-password-is-incorrectquot?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 107.5%

Hi,

is there a way to open the "Change a password..." dialog in Windows 7 via command line? I dont want to got the way through CTRL+ALT+DEL + "Change a password...". I need a command which opens this dialog for me.

Unfortunately, rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL password.cpl is not working on Windows 7...

Thanks!
Regards,
Thomas

A:Invoke "Change password" dialog via command

Hi, welcome to the forums

You have 2 options...(via Elevated Command Prompt)

net user user * will ask for a new password
net user user 123456 will set the new password as 123456 (or whatever you type)

Note
"user" is the user name to change

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/157881-invoke-change-password-dialog-via-command.html
Relevancy 106.64%

I have Windows 2000 Small Business Server w Service Pack 4 w Active Directory. One problem that I noticed is that I want to set the "user cannot change password" flag to be checked. However couple of hours later the flag becomes unchecked. What can I look at to start troubleshooting. Or it is a bug....?

E

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-cannot-change-password-flag-cant-be-set.384562/
Relevancy 106.64%

I am trying to change my password as administrator for the administrator account through the ctrl+alt+del "Change Password" menu, but am getting the following message:

"configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either because the machine is unavailable, or because access is denied".

My computer is not part of a domain, and never has been.

Any ideas that I might try?

A:Can't change password: "configuration information could not be..."

Quote: Originally Posted by Mzima

I am trying to change my password as administrator for the administrator account through the ctrl+alt+del "Change Password" menu, but am getting the following message:

"configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either because the machine is unavailable, or because access is denied".

My computer is not part of a domain, and never has been.

Any ideas what I might try?

Are you seriously running RC-1 (7100)???????

It is set to die in 3 days

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/87949-cant-change-password-configuration-information-could-not.html
Relevancy 106.64%

Couple important Can't waking when required change this PC..." "Password notes about my setup All my machines are connected to a domain that I control Everything is running Windows Pro or Enterprise My Microsoft Account is connected to my domain user account on each machine with settings synced across devices What I'm trying to do Turn off the automatic lock after sitting idle for a few maybe ten minutes Turn off the password requirement when clicking the lock screen or waking from sleep I somehow figured out how to do this on my desktop Enterprise and can't for the life of me figure out how to do it on my laptop Pro What I've tried Domain-level GPO to disable quot Require a password when computer wakes quot both battery and AC power - confirmed via RSOP that the policy is applied to the machine Of note this policy was not defined on my desktop which currently allows me to disable both sleep and auto-lock with password requirementChanging display timeout and sleep to quot never quot in the selected power profile Changing quot Password protection on wakeup quot in advanced power profile settings as well as in the quot Define power buttons quot control panel Turning off the screen saver and ensuring the quot require password quot option is unchecked Resetting security policies via User Accounts control panel when I still had an Exchange account connected via EAS in Can't change "Password required when waking this PC..." the Mail app I've since removed that Exchange account entirely Any help is really appreciated Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/62563-cant-change-password-required-when-waking-pc.html
Relevancy 104.92%

In Vista, what happens when you enable password protected file sharing over normal file sharing?

I realize it requires credentials but what is changed on the system to require this?

If I enable just File Sharing (and not the password protected option) and have the share/NTFS permissions set for a user, connecting to the share fails as it never prompts for the username/password.

When you turn on password protected sharing you are prompted then for a username/password. What I want to know is what changes on the system to then prompt for credentials?

Same thing in reverse. If I set the 'require password for sharing' and have the group 'Everyone' in the share and NTFS permissions I am still prompted for credentials if I connect.

Thanks!
Todd

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/202096-file-sharing-vs-password-protected-file-sharing.html
Relevancy 104.49%

First of all, I can't even create a password! When I go to Control Panel to set a password, I fill in my password and the hint. When I hit "Create Password", it says the same message no matter what.

A:"Windows Cannot Change Your Password"

Hello TTG and welcome to Vista Forums.

This usually means that you already have a password set for that user account. You will need to type in the old password first in the Confirmation box to change it. If your not sure what it is, then Remove the password first in User Accounts, then create a new one.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

P.S.
I deleted your other duplicate post in case you wondered what happened to it.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/167561-windows-cannot-change-your-password.html
Relevancy 102.34%

Hello

how can I delete "saved password" and "form data" of microsoft
edge manually ?!

after too much search in google ....

I trid to delete some value of the following registry address
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wek yb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\

also I tried to delete some files in the following folder
%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\

and finally I could not find the way ...!!!

please help !

A:delete "saved password" and "form data" from microsoft edge manually

Hi,
Welcome to the forums, go to settings (... dots from top right), click view Advanced settings and "Manage Saved Passwords".
HTH.

http://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/35630-delete-saved-password-form-data-microsoft-edge-manually.html
Relevancy 101.48%

XP Home installed SP recently which MIGHT have something to File/Print to added As" menu -also: "FTP question Sharing Locations" "Save do with this Just saved two word docs and a bmp file all separately All three times I saw that a new location has been added to the Save As drop-down menu It didn t open to My Documents folder but was in the general folder list of the whole computer The location was called quot FTP File Locations quot It s never appeared on the Save As menu before This made me think of the file print sharing control which "FTP Locations" added to "Save As" menu -also: File/Print Sharing question is now located in the Windows Firewall but I don t use that Firewall I turned it off to use Norton What was FTP Locations And is there any way to disable file print sharing without using the Windows Firewall These may be the same "FTP Locations" added to "Save As" menu -also: File/Print Sharing question thing I don t know Also in Network Connections I thought I d find file print sharing control there but now XP wants me to run a whole Network Wizard thing I m afraid I ll somehow set up a network instead or enable all kinds of things I don t want to create a disaster here My son installed an FTP program months ago for work he was doing but the program was removed I just searched for it it s definitely gone This is a stand-alone non-networked home computer P S I saved another Word doc and now it s back to opening to My Documents folder as usual now I can t find the FTP Locations anywhere nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ftp-locations-added-to-save-as-menu-also-file-print-sharing-question.281451/
Relevancy 100.62%

Hi, I have my Windows 8.1 PC's password policy set so that a password is not required when waking from sleep/shutdown. I used to be able to wake the PC from sleep and not put in a password, and I could turn the PC on after a shutdown without having to put in a password either. Since last week, though, when I turn my PC on, it will boot to the Windows loading screen and after loading for a bit, it will jump into the login screen and immediately report a login error that the username or password is incorrect. This happens before I even get a chance to type a username or password. The fact that I have to type in the username and password is strange because I have the PC set to bypass that option.

Can anyone tell me what's happening with this login error issue and how to fix it?

Thanks

A:Password not required: "Password Incorrect" on startup

Hello MechaKong, and welcome to Eight Forums.

This usually happens when your password had not been entered correctly in netplwiz, or you had changed your password and didn't update it in netplwiz.

You could go through netplwiz again to enter your password again to sort it.

Log On User Account Automatically at Windows 8 Startup

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/54097-password-not-required-password-incorrect-startup.html
Relevancy 100.62%

So that pops up once i get my old tower/cpu running up. It hasnt been touched since 2006 so i forgot the password. Any help to get around this? Plus, please tell me how to get around this without a windows cd or to use money. Thanks!!

A:"Your password has expired. Please enter your password and renew."

By default Windows passwords will never expire unless set by an Admin on a corporate network or set by yourself. Is it the Windows account password you are talking about?

If so the only help that we can provide for resetting the password is by using this tutorial - Reset User Account Password

My apologies for the limited help but I cannot provide any other methods as this would violate certain legislation

Hope This Helps,
Josh

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/300630-your-password-has-expired-please-enter-your-password-renew.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Ok this is my third attempt after re-booting and re-booting This is my wife s Sony abt years old P WinXP HE k ram For a long time now it has been quot temperamental quot Among the latest is I can no longer quot switch user quot as normally Clicking Start log off switch user does absolutely nothing now it functions. "Switch Solved: no "Password"? longer User" merely reverts to the former screen Start log off log off does work however And the shortcut that I used to use the Win logo key L now goes to quot UNLOCK COMPUTER quot a pop-up message that tells me the pc is in use and locked and only I presumably as an administrator with the proper password can now unlock it Problem what the heck is the password We don t recall ever setting one Control Alt Delete does nothing here Once at this screen my only recourse is to reboot quot Cancel quot is greyed out I think though that a few days ago it wasn t and I could cancel Is that my faulty memory or is this thing getting worse A side note I did recently download and Solved: "Switch User" no longer functions. "Password"? utilize a reg cleaner freeware quot Regseeker quot which I used to delete only several items it said Solved: "Switch User" no longer functions. "Password"? were not used or broken links It also allegedly created a back-up before deletion but darned if I can see where or how I can get them back I also disabled thanks to another tech quot advice quot several services via Control Panel Administrative Solved: "Switch User" no longer functions. "Password"? Tools Services However that techie claims nothing I disabled in his list should affect this Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 100.19%

I have a zip file which contains txt files inside it but when I open it, it asks for the password but I have forgotten the password.
Can u please help me to solve this issue.
Please mail the solution to me REMOVED.

A:How to open a password protected zip file without password?

Sorry, if you had read the forum rules when you joined you would know we don't assist with bypassing passwords and that all help needs to stay in the forums.

You also shouldn't post your email address in any open forum, that's a good way to get your email on spammer's lists.

Additionally, depending on the type of encryption used int eh file it may not be possible.

Therefore I must close this thread.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-open-a-password-protected-zip-file-without-password.1163766/
Relevancy 100.19%

A while ago I made a compressed ZIP file and then made a password-protected ZIP inside that one. I forgot my password to it and I'm very curious what's all in there. Is there ANY way in???

A:Forgot my password to password protected ZIP file

Please read the rules concerning passwords.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/forgot-my-password-to-password-protected-zip-file.894251/
Relevancy 98.9%

Whenever I try to boot my computer up it is asking for a password and I really don't know what the startup password is. This is really frustrating. Can anybody tell me how to get rid off this startup password window. I have not any windows disc and I am
using Windows 7. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2df25a27-1b07-4a11-8f9a-b14a8069c43f/quotthis-computer-is-configured-to-require-a-password-in-order-to-start-up-please-enter-the-start?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 97.18%

Hi all,

i have a small problem. I was reading how to disable password protected sharing and managed to do it successfully on one of my two boxes. Simple to do however on my second box under Sharing and Discovery the password protected sharing option does not show. Both boxes are running Vista business, whats the go here?

See picture for explanation

A:Password Protected Sharing

Thats weird...It should be there.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/158550-password-protected-sharing.html
Relevancy 97.18%

Hi. I want to share a partition on my computer over the home network. However, this partition contents secure information I'd like no one else to see. So, I tried Password protected sharing feature. From the other computer (OS Windows XP Professional SP 2) I tried accessing it via View Workgroup Computers, and it demanded a username and password. Using a username and its respective password from the partition-containing computer resulted in an Access Denied message (although the partition-containing computer was in a welcome screen state, with all user accounts unlogged, and the username and password were absolutely the same, even case-sensitive).

Now what's that supposed to mean, and can I somehow protect this shared partition with a password?

A:Password protected sharing

Still waiting for an answer...

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/196480-password-protected-sharing.html
Relevancy 97.18%

Hey guys I am trying to get a networking issue between Windows Ultimate bit and Windows XP Pro resolved Here goes So I use advanced sharing in Windows XP and I am sharing one folder I removed the quot everyone quot permission and added my current user name to the permissions win Xp password with protected sharing 7 list I give this user full control Now when I try to access this from Windows it gives a permission error and I cannot get in The folder shows up fine on Win and I can ping machines back and forth This is not a firewall problem for sure For testing purposes Xp password protected sharing with win 7 I removed the user in the permissions list on the XP share and I added quot everyone quot Then I go back to the Windows pc to try and access the share and BAM it works Opens in a rapid fashion and all is well BUT This is not secure I want to be able to only allow certain users When I remove the quot everyone quot permission and only add the current account name on the XP machine I am making the share password protected My xp machine has a user account that needs a password When I access XP shares from other XP machines it asks for a user and password to login Ever since I brought one Windows machine into the network it gives me a permission error I want Windows to pop up the same dialogue box that wants a user name and password to access I also should not need to have my XP and windows have the same user name password Windows XP was a breeze Basically I want this Make the shares on the XP machine to be password protected everyone permission fully removed So when I want to access it from the machine it will ask for the username and pass just like xp to xp machines do I have read far and wide but never found something this specific Let's get this forum fired up and get security to the forefront

Relevancy 97.18%

Hey Guys,

Just noticed a very weird behaviour. In Advanced Sharing Settings, when I select "Turn off password protected sharing" under 'Home or Work' it also turns it off under 'Public'. When I turn it back on under 'Public' it turns it on again under 'Home or Work'. This kind of defeats the point of having the setting under both network types :-) Has anyone else had this problem/found a solution?

Cheers
Confy

A:Password Protected Sharing

Yes, Disable your guest account I'm guessing you set a password on this account?
Disable this, then you will be able to turn off password protect sharing on all.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/18209-password-protected-sharing.html
Relevancy 97.18%

Hello I have problems configuring Windows to share folders using password protected sharing while being accessed from Windows XP I have tried many thing but failed Either password protected sharing. Using Windows XP users are recognized as quot Everyone quot or they don't have permission to access the Win folder They are never asked for password no Using password protected sharing. matter what I select from quot Advanced network sharing quot I make additional password protected user and give permission to exactly this user but is it needed to change quot userpasswords quot in Windows XP because a friend of mine said I have to change something in the Win XP system to be able to get asked about User and password while trying to access the shared folder Same problem is showed here but it doesn't seem to be resolved nor explained fully in the two suggested threads Xp password protected sharing with win although the user tried adding his own user account but I tried adding another user account which appeared in quot Share with quot list as option

A:Using password protected sharing.

This should help File sharing.pdf

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/215685-using-password-protected-sharing.html
Relevancy 96.75%

I can't copy and paste "User name" and Password" in Windows Mail (Vista 64 bit SP2)

I have already try both mouse and keyboard (ctrl+c and ctrl+v)

I would like to know how to setting then I can copy and paste "User name" and Password" ?

Kind Regards,

A:I can't copy and paste "User name" and Password" in Windows Mail (Vista 64 bit SP2)

I'm no expert, but I'd imagine it's a security measure.

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/230180-i-cant-copy-paste-user-name-password-windows-mail-vista-64-bit-sp2.html
Relevancy 96.75%

hello all.

I just got my new pc with MS Windows 8.

I tried to set up the "People" app and I keep receiving an error which tells me that "Your password has changed. Please enter your password." Howvever there is no place to re-enter my password nor did I change my password.

Since I get the error my Facebook and Gmail contatc will not synch.

Anybody had this experience? How do I fix it?

Mike

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/32356-people-app-error-your-password-has-changed.html
Relevancy 95.89%

Been trying to do this for a couple of hours now,but it just
wont turn off.As soon as i turn it off and then check back again
it's turned back on.
I now this is quite a common problem and i've tried quite a few fixes
but nothing will turn it off.
My last attempt was using Winshare manager i got all the folders
showing yes yes and i clicked the registry fix but still no joy.
I'm using a wireless connection and trying to get my media server
the Mede8erx3d1000 to show folders on the pc,but it just goes straight
into asking for user name and password instead of showing the folders on
the pc.
Thanks for any help with this problem.

A:Can't turn off password protected sharing

There might be some program running in the background preventing it from turning off. Please try a Clean Boot to see if that will eliminate that problem. Its also possible the media server is forcing it back on. Check both of their settings.

Clean boot:

Troubleshoot Application Conflicts by Performing a Clean Startup

Confirming that this is what you did as described here:

Password Protected Sharing - Turn On or Off in Windows 7
Other related tutorials:

Public Folder Sharing - Turn On or Off in Windows 7

Homegroup - Change File and Folder Sharing Settings

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/312820-cant-turn-off-password-protected-sharing.html
Relevancy 95.89%

This is an article that I am writing up because I have not been able to solve this problem over the past years that I have had Windows until now Does anyone remember how file sharing in XP went All you had to do was share a folder and it was available on the network At the time I wasn t doing media sharing Windows made that a bit harder Someone had the idea of putting user account level security at the forefront of file sharing as a better means of file protection Mind you I have the utmost respect for WIndows Protected Sharing in Password 7 Microsoft at making better file security It s just that it made it more difficult to try and figure out a new means by which we could re-share our existing shares As I said Windows XP Password Protected Sharing in WIndows 7 had a much easier means by which you could share folders over a network Just right click the folder click share maybe a couple of other options and the folder was shared Mind you at the time I wasn t doing media sharing over the network So I didn t need that extensive of a network sharing Password Protected Sharing in WIndows 7 system When Windows came along you had the options of micro-managing your network sharing capabilities The thing is they don t tell you that if you select something you suddenly lose half the capabilities of your PC Up until now I ve had to create users for every network share I intended to share with a specific person over the network I have finally figured out what it was that I did that crippled my network sharing At the bottom right of your Windows layout there is an icon in the taskbar for network and internet access this may be different in Windows Right click and Open Network and Sharing Center On the left side of the new window click Change advanced sharing settings There will be settings for Home or Work and Public Go through both and where it says Password Protected Sharing click Turn off password protected sharing This makes it so that you can click on a computer in your network and be able to see all the folders that are being shared However you still have the option to share folders on a user-account level so that you can have a degree of network security Mind you this is a simple answer to a simple problem I m sure some people out there have had problems requiring editing of the system registry Also as far as Windows Homegroup is concerned it doesn t work without IPv and according to my dad IPv has problems quot playing nice quot on a network he had to disable it on the network at his job But for the rest of you you can stop banging you head against the wall now nbsp

A:Password Protected Sharing in WIndows 7

Does anyone remember how file sharing in XP went?Click to expand...

Yes.

All you had to do was share a folder and it was available on the network.Click to expand...

Not quite. You also have to enable file and printer sharing and use "Simple File Sharing." With Advanced you can get user level access control.

It sounds like your entire post is to say that if you do not want to use password protected sharing you should turn password protected sharing off. I can certainly agree with that.

However, in general I would advise to not permit file sharing on a public network. That's pretty dangerous except in special cases.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/password-protected-sharing-in-windows-7.1098439/
Relevancy 95.89%

I have been successfully networking all systems from XP to Win with each other and with Tiger to Mt Lion forever Fortunately I have never had to do anything extraordinary because I wouldn't have known how The strangest thing I have encountered in this regard is Windows password protected sharing Despite all my practical experience this quot feature quot almost After Protected Sharing These Years: Asking All Password never does completely what I expect For the most part I always just say quot whatever quot and set my Windows machines so they work as close to the way I want as is possible for me I know there are some good networking people on board so I finally have decided to ask if others find password protected sharing to be as strange as I do I have read numerous explanations of password protected sharing but I never think those doing Asking After All These Years: Password Protected Sharing the writing have ever tried to use password protected sharing from what they say A couple of examples will partially illustrate what I am talking about All my Win machines Win 's and a Win currently have password protected sharing enabled Yet they virtually never require a user name and password when sharing The user names and passwords are different on each of the machines Sometimes they do require user names and passwords after restarting all for example of the machines My Macs currently require user names and passwords to connect with the Win machines However they did the same thing when password protected sharing was off on all the Wins Go figure And then there is the screen below that drives me nuts since it generally does not describe what happens as best I can tell--as indicated above And does it really mean that one trying to access quot my quot Win across my network has to have a user name and password on quot my quot Win to do so Well that never is the case Wins can always access other Wins on my network whether or not password protected sharing is enabled anywhere or nowhere and no matter whether they have user names and passwords on the other machines

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/14777-asking-after-all-these-years-password-protected-sharing.html
Relevancy 95.89%

Hi I have an quot server quot with windows ultimate running Here I have earlier shared the whole hard disks and no protection everyone on the network could access them But now I would like to share folders to specified people computers iv'e made user accounts on the computer and chosen to share only with them But the problem then is that I cant access make password Cant sharing protected the server anymore and I don't get an option to log in to the server only an error message that I don't have permission The computers are Cant make password protected sharing part of an network run by an sbs with an domain I've googled and searched but cant find any solution to my problem with no log in over the network When i find the server on an other computer and try to open it I only get an error message If I than share an folder with everyone alowed to se it I can connect to the computer and see the shared folders but cant acsess the ones with password only the one without and I still don't get an option to log in Hope somone has an idea Cant make password protected sharing i've feel like i tried everything with advanced sharing ans local permisions

A:Cant make password protected sharing

Hi ITW, Welcome to Seven Forums.
In my mind, trying to setup password protected sharing with various people is not only complicated to do but a waste of time and energy. If you want to share certain files with John Doe, put the files in a folder called John Doe, use 7Zip to password protect it and give J D the password. Repeat for all others.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/218163-cant-make-password-protected-sharing.html
Relevancy 95.89%

as the topic states, i cant turn off password protected sharing

i go into "Network and Sharing Center"
i click on "Passwrod protected sharing"
i click "Turn off password protected sharing"
i click "Apply" and it asks if i wish to continue
i click continue and then it goes back to "Network and Sharing Center" and "Passwrod protected sharing" is still "On"

please help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-cannot-turn-off-password-protected-sharing.578533/
Relevancy 95.89%

I can't perform a network scan using my brand-new Xerox MFP and I am pretty sure it is because I can't disable Password Protected Sharing. I can't disable it because there is no link to it in Vista Network and Sharing Center (see pic). Does anyone know the registry switch that would allow me to activate the link???

Asus G51VX-BD Laptop
Vista Ultimate x64

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/250574-password-protected-sharing-missing.html
Relevancy 95.89%

Under Network and Sharing Center / Advanced Sharing Settings / All Networks / Password Protected Sharing, I'm unable to turn off the option for "Turn off password protected sharing".

I'm doing this in my Windows 8.1 administrator account. I can select the option and save the changes, but when I go back to the screen it shows that password protected sharing is still turned on.

Is there a fix for this please?

A:Can't Turn Off Password Protected Sharing

I solved this by Google research. The solution is weird but works for me. Can someone explain why this fix works?
Enable guest accountRun netplwiz and set no password for guest accountTurn off password protected sharing for all networksDisable guest account

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/69508-cant-turn-off-password-protected-sharing.html
Relevancy 95.89%

Hello I am trying to setup a password protected file sharing network for our to Trying protected sharing password setup small office We have a couple machines running Vista home basic bit a couple running XP home and one running XP pro Trying to setup password protected sharing We have Trying to setup password protected sharing been file sharing without password protection for awhile but we are worried about waking up to a nasty prank or worse Most of the posts I've come across are people trying to figure out how to turn off password protection but we actually want it on To start I am just trying to protect the files on a vista home basic bit computer Once I get that to work I will move on to the other computers I turned on password protected sharing I setup user accounts on all the computers with the same user name and password as an account on the protected computer Nevertheless I get prompted for the username and password when I try to access the shared folder I type in the username and password and the prompt screen just refreshes itself this time with the network address and username in the username field I can't figure out why I read somewhere that it will only prompt you for this info if you are logged in under a username that isn't on the machine you are trying to access or if the correctly named user account has a different password In that instance you enter the correct info and get access Well I do have the correct username and password and it prompts me anyhow Then it still doesnt grant access when I put in the correct info So I am stuck Thank you in advance for any help you can offer Alex

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/146067-trying-setup-password-protected-sharing.html
Relevancy 95.89%

I want password protected sharing on because I like to log into my desktop computer and be able to access files as if I'm there. However I want to share one folder on that computer so that people who don't have username/password can still log in and share that one folder.

Is this possible? My understanding is if password protected sharing is on, then they need login credentials. If it is off, than I can't login into my account on that computer and share the files.

A:Password protected sharing on, but still share?

in the security tab: Add or Modify the "Everyone" group: With Modify or Read/Write permissions.
Share the folder with the same permissions as the "Security" tab

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/133571-password-protected-sharing-but-still-share.html
Relevancy 95.89%

I see that WinXP sharing is far more complicated than Win98... I need to share files and protect them with password so only authorised people may download them... How do I do that? And what services have to be started? :)

A:Sharing files protected with password

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...e_ffs_flez.asp

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/sharing-files-protected-with-password-7143.html
Relevancy 95.89%

Hello all turn W10 PC protected on password off Cannot sharing I'm new to this forum but have been a member of SevenForums for many years My issue just Cannot turn off password protected sharing on W10 PC all of the sudden came up out of the Cannot turn off password protected sharing on W10 PC blue One of the PC's on my home LAN Cannot turn off password protected sharing on W10 PC all of the sudden switched settings from having the password setting turned off to now turned on under quot All Networks quot I have several PC's a couple of laptops a Amazon Fire and WD Live All of them share appropriately on the network through either W or W They have all been working and sharing fine and no deliberate changes have been made to any devices I know how to set up LAN network systems and file sharing and have been doing it for many years I'm not an expert but not a novice either I went to pull up a shared folder on the AF and it could not find it I go to re-link to the folder and it asked me for a password for the one PC that all the media files are on I go to the PC in question and the sharing configurations had changed Public folder sharing was off and password protection was set to on I could change the folder sharing back to on and it would stick but the password protection will let me choose the OFF radio button but it will not stick not even after reboot I have never used password protected sharing either none of my systems are set up that way This has really got me puzzled and I cannot find a solution anywhere At this point none of the systems that i have can connect to this one PC with the password issue I do not use the Homegroup either Thanks in advance for any ideas and help

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/65167-cannot-turn-off-password-protected-sharing-w10-pc.html
Relevancy 95.89%

Windows 8 computer, webroot secure anywhere antivirus.
Password protected sharing is off. With no interaction, turns on.
Has happened a couple of times, not certain of the cause.
Anyone else had this happened and what fix was applied?
Thanks
Rick

A:Password Protected Sharing turning on by itself.

You stated in your post why it is being reactivated. That is the purpose of security software.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/71306-password-protected-sharing-turning-itself.html
Relevancy 95.89%

Hello all I have been pulling my hair out to try and solve this problem in Sharing 7 Windows Password Protected I have two Windows computers and I wish to set up file sharing between them I don t want to go with a Homegroup because I have WinXP computers on this network I want the sharing to be setup so that when I connect to the computer ie computername it pops up with a login box to login with that computers account I have gotten this to work so far Password Protected Sharing in Windows 7 going from a Professional computer to a Home Premium setup but not the other way If I try to connect from Pro to HP it says computername is not accessable You might not have permission to Password Protected Sharing in Windows 7 use this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions Login failure the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer Click to expand Also if I posted this in the wrong place feel free to move it to the Windows forums Any suggestions Thanks Brennan nbsp

Relevancy 95.89%

Hello Everyone I'm really hoping there is someone here who can help me with what should be an easy issue This might be something related to workgroup vs home group but I think I have that understood I have a windows machine with the same workgroup set as my two XP machines LAN Permissions "XP" issue Sharing to File "7" I then went in and set four harddrives root directories to share Now what is weird and very frustrating is that two of the hard drives the other computers can get into just like one would expect However the other two drives are behaving completely different One drive it just gives a LAN File Sharing "7" to "XP" Permissions issue permissions error message right away The other it lets me access one layer of folders but then gives the same message when I try to open any one of them It's very frustrating I set up the sharing just with simple right click- the drive say share and quot Everyone quot read write full so I don't understand how some can LAN File Sharing "7" to "XP" Permissions issue be interacting differently than others Any help would be great Thanks in advance Gary

A:LAN File Sharing "7" to "XP" Permissions issue

No solution is immediately apparent to me, but am I correctly assuming were dealing with all NTFS drives here?
And are the four hard drives on the XP machine?
Did you name each share for each drive? Try mapping the shared drive(s) that you now can not with their drive letter followed by $.

For example...

//192.168.1.20/d$

...and see what happens.

Also, make sure each machine being shared from has a password set. You can not share with a blank (non-existant) pass.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/8487-lan-file-sharing-7-xp-permissions-issue.html
Relevancy 95.03%

How can I use PowerShell to turn on/off "Password Protected Sharing" setting in Advanced sharing settings?

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/66136-password-protected-sharing-turn-off-powershell.html
Relevancy 95.03%

I've got a new Win 8.1 computer (Surface Pro 3), and on that computer, as an adiministrator, I turn off Password Protected Sharing for my network (Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Advanced sharing settings -> All networks). Once this is done, the other computers on the LAN have good access to the disks I have shared. However, when my new computer sleeps and wakes up, or even sometimes if I merely close the cover and open it, something has reset the password protected sharing option and turned it back on. The other computers no longer can access the shared data. I have to open up the control panel (as above) and turn password protected sharing off. Again. Many times a day.

How do I get this option to stick the way I set it?

A:Something keeps turning Password Protected Sharing back on

Internet Security software would be my first guess. Otherwise, may be that Windows 8 is updating from the stored profile on microsoft's servers.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/54434-something-keeps-turning-password-protected-sharing-back.html
Relevancy 95.03%

When I turn off password protected sharing in the network and sharing center's advanced settings, I save settings but when I go back in, it's turned on again.  Turning it off doesn't stick.
This is what seess to be forcing a password and prevents me from setting up a backup to a network share drive.
Any ideas?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c4466abe-4a2b-4d2a-8df5-03f30186e64d/cant-turn-off-password-protected-sharing-windows-7?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 95.03%

Networking gurus please read The post is long but I need to be thorough in stating my problem While longish my post should be easy to grasp I am trying to get password protected sharing PPS to work properly as I understand quot properly quot among the machines identified below I am ignoring several Macs that connect either via Ethernet or wirelessly because they work the way I want on my Protected Sharing Get Properly Work to to Trying Password network--always requiring Trying to Get Password Protected Sharing to Work Properly user names and passwords regardless of sharing direction and whether PPS is used or not Here is info about the machines I am concerned about General All machines have different user names and passwords Specific Machine Win Connects via Ethernet PPS on HomeGroup on Connecting Specifics Win connects to Win without user name password Win connects to Win without user name password Win connects to Win with no user name password Win connects to Win with user name password Machine Win This machine is supposed to simulate that of a friend connected to my network to use internet via Ethernet Connects via Ethernet PPS on No HomeGroup membership HomeGroup off Connecting Specifics Not Covered Above Win connects to Win with user name password Win access is denied to Win Machine Win Connects wirelessly PPS on HomeGroup on Connecting Specifics Not Covered above None The most troubling of the situations above are Win access is denied to Win This situation of concern because my quot friend quot might want to let me access his computer without using RDC All of the situations where no user name and password are required are troubling too since PPS is on in all cases These situation are Win connects to Win without user name password Win connects to Win without user name password Win connects to Win without user name password Does anyone have insights concerning how to go about making PPS work properly In this regard it seems to me that properly would preclude all the troubling situations above Is the problem that I have the wrong idea about how PPS should work Edit With PPS off on all Win machines access is not denied for any Win machine and usually user names and passwords are not required for Win machines

A:Trying to Get Password Protected Sharing to Work Properly

I think you may need to add those User accounts as a local account on your machine in order for password protected sharing to work with Homegroups. Or as least that is what I'm getting from these tutorials.

If you don't add the local accounts then the User names won't show up on the shared list which prevents the password protected sharing from working. Or so the story goes.

Password Protected File Sharing in Windows 7

To create a local account on your machine go to step 7.
User Account - Add a New User in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/14894-trying-get-password-protected-sharing-work-properly.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Running three systems Win XP Media NOT Can Password turn off Solved: Protected Sharing and a Vista system My problem is with the Vista system I need to share an external USB drive with the other two systems Access from either of the other two systems is not allowed get quot Logon Failure the user has not been granted logon type at this computer quot Attempts to turn off quot Password Protected Sharing quot in the Net and Sharing Center do not work Click OFF and then Apply results in returning to the ON status I don t even get a request for a password on the other systems when Solved: Can NOT turn off Password Protected Sharing attempting to map the drive that is on the Vista system The Vista system is running with no windows password required I tried setting the same user ID and Password on the Vista system as is used in the WIN system but since there is no request for a logon that was not any help There has been no problems in sharing the files on the WIN system and the XP Media system just the Vista Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Vista Business Service Pack bit Processor Genuine Intel R CPU T GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce Go Microsoft Corporation - WDDM Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB G Total - MB Free - MB H Total - MB Free - MB R Total - MB Free - MB S Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Hewlett-Packard A Antivirus AT amp T Internet Security Suite AT amp T Anti-Virus Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Disabled nbsp

Relevancy 93.74%

Helloh,

I was trying to share some media from my W7 computer to an XBMC-classic console. It used to work fine with Windows XP + Simple file sharing but i had to fiddle around a little bit in Win7 to get it to work, one of the things I did was to enable Sharing without password.

This however has a side-effect, that the Guest-account is able to log on locally to the computer as well. I believe this wasn't the case in XP Simple File Sharing, the guest account would only be used as a way to access fileshares.

Is this possible in Windows 7? I really do not want the Guest-account as an option on the logon-screen.

A:Disable Password-Protected sharing and Guest account

Quote: Originally Posted by warmblanket

Helloh,

I was trying to share some media from my W7 computer to an XBMC-classic console. It used to work fine with Windows XP + Simple file sharing but i had to fiddle around a little bit in Win7 to get it to work, one of the things I did was to enable Sharing without password.

This however has a side-effect, that the Guest-account is able to log on locally to the computer as well. I believe this wasn't the case in XP Simple File Sharing, the guest account would only be used as a way to access fileshares.

Is this possible in Windows 7? I really do not want the Guest-account as an option on the logon-screen.

I suspect you are running homegroup. Homegroup is for win 7 machines only. Since you have a classic on you should be running the workgroup model instead. Workgroup also allows you to run without password should you need.

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/66483-disable-password-protected-sharing-guest-account.html
Relevancy 93.74%

Greetings to all I've tried sharing files in Windows with a computer running XP over a Home network These are some of my finding and CONCERN over the files that are actually being shared if Public Folders Sharing is turned ON in Windows I will refer the computer running on Win as Comp A and the on running on XP as Comp Password User ON Protected folder Sharing if is EXPOSED B for the rest of the entry In the Advanced Sharing Settings on Windows I've made these changes NOTE C Users Username is an ADMINISTRATOR Profile on Comp A running Win Case In Home or Work which is my current profile i I've turned Public Folder sharing ON ii Password Protected Sharing sharing is turned OFF Both Comp A and Comp B has been set to the SAME Workgroup name Everything is fine I can view all the network computers on both PC's although I've have to run a search on Comp B to find Comp A What I can see on Comp B running XP are ONLY the Public Folders of Comp A Win OK User folder EXPOSED if Password Protected Sharing is ON Good it's the expected behavior BUT There is a PROBLEM if Password Protected Sharing is turned ON in Win as explained in Case Case i Public Folder sharing is still turned ON but ii Password Protected Sharing is turned ON When I did this I was prompt for a Username and Password on Comp B when I tried to view the files on Comp A So I keyed in the Username and Password of Comp A in Comp B and I can gain access to the files shared on Comp A Here is where the quot NIGHTMARE quot begins I've noticed that not only the Public Folders in Comp A and be accessed but the C Users Usersname Folder and every folder and files in it is EXPOSED to Comp B Though some files cannot be accessed but I some files CAN be ACCESSED e g files in the DOWNLOAD folders and DESKTOP What is happening here Shouldn't ONLY the PUBLIC Folders be shared Even with the Username and Password that does not mean that I want all my PERSONAL folders to SHARED by DEFAULT if the person has my Password This was not the case in Vista which was GREAT So this lead me to do some ivestigation on the Properties of the C Users Username folder on Comp A This are my findings and it's very SUPRISING and WORRYING and CONFUSING indeed i By selecting the C Users Username Folder and checking the STATUS BAR there is NO indication that the folder is SHARED meaning windows is telling that it's NOT SHARED ii Selecting the C Users Public folder and checking the Status Bar there IS a indication State Shared and also Shared With XXXX meaning windows is telling that it's SHARED So the JACKPOT question here is If C Users Username folder in Comp A is NOT SHARED WHY IS IT that it CAN BE ACCESSED in Comp B FURTHER investigation revealed this By Right-Click on C Users Username Click Properties Sharing Tab The indication here is that C Users Username is SHARED complete with a Network Path Meaning TWO DIFFERENT INDICATIONS i STATUS BAR NOT shared ii Sharing Propeties tab SHARED Prove Screenshot Below So the nd JACKPOT question is Is C Users Username SHARED or NOT SHARED in Windows I've tried turning OFF the sharing but it's NOT successful if the Public Folder is shared What I did is to manually UN-SHARE the WHOLE C Users folder in Windows just to be safe and share my folder from some other location s Hope Microsoft will FIX this ASAP as many of us will be caught unaware that our PERSONAL files are EXPOSED if PASSWORD PROTECTED SHARING is TURNED ON in Win as most of us will think it will be MORE SECURED by using a PASSWORD and not the other around EXPOSING our PERSONAL files unawared

A:User folder EXPOSED if Password Protected Sharing is ON

I've found W7 sharing system very confusing. The best way to share folders (IMO) is to open fsmgmt.msc through the start menu and do it through that. I also found that, by default W7 had shared my user folder on my network....worrying!! A sure way to make sure that the folder is blocked it to add network to the ACL of your user folder (or indeed any other folder you want blocked) and set the permissions of network to deny.
You'll get a security warning about your actions.

Hope this helps

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/36031-user-folder-exposed-if-password-protected-sharing.html
Relevancy 93.74%

I know we can change win7 settings with command, regedit or Rundll32.
Ex:
1) Rundll32:
rundll32.exe Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl desk,@Themes /Action:OpenTheme /File:"C:\Windows\Resources\Ease of Access Themes\basic.theme"

Result: Change themes

2) regedit:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"EnableLUA"=dword:00000000

Result: Disable UAC

3) command:
POWERCFG /CHANGE /MONITOR-TIMEOUT-AC 2
POWERCFG /CHANGE /MONITOR-TIMEOUT-DC 2

Result: Monitor timeout.

So How to turn on/off Password Protected Sharing with command, regedit or Rundll32?
I cannot find any info. from GOOGLE?
Are there any books and documents that you suggest me to read? I want to more understand them.
Thanks in advance.

A:How to turn on/off Password Protected Sharing with command, regedit or

Windows 7 Forum rule # 6.
6) No discussions of hacking someones system, network, password, etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/193449-how-turn-off-password-protected-sharing-command-regedit.html
Relevancy 93.31%

I have a HP 17-f020us 17.3-Inch Touchscreen Laptop with window 8. I dont what to have to remove the battery to do this. Way to much for me to try to do. I would like to know how to do it through the Bios.
Thank you,
Rhonda

Relevancy 92.88%

On an admin account, if I want to, say, download/install a program, UAC will ask for confirmation, and clicking " yes " will get it to start downloading.

I wonder if I can make the system asking for password instead of giving the option of " yes " or " continue ". Like it does to a standard user account.

Thank you.

t-4-2

A:Password required instead of clicking " yes ' ot " continue "

You should enable the policy "User Account Control: Use Admin Approval Mode for the built-in Administrator account", and then you must configure the policy "User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode" to use either "Prompt for credentials" or "Prompt for credentials on the secure desktop". Note the behavior of this last item depends on how you've configured "User Account Control: Allow UIAccess applications to prompt for elevation without using the secure desktop" or "User Account Control: Switch to the secure desktop when prompting for elevation" - I personally don't like using the secure desktop with a multimon setup, so I disable "User Account Control: Switch to the secure desktop when prompting for elevation" on my machines. All of these policies are in GPEdit > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options. If you're using a version of Win7 without a local policy editor (your specs say Win7 HP, so it's possible) all of these settings are backed by registry values, documented on Technet here.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/208579-password-required-instead-clicking-yes-ot-continue.html
Relevancy 92.02%

I have ran into some issues trying to network an xp machine and one running windows When trying to access shared folders on the win machine from the xp machine it always asks for a user name and passord the laptop is wireless and when I enter one for an account that is on the win machine it doesn't work Follow other posts I am trying to turn of the user name Options" "Change Cannot Sharing Advanced access and pass check on the win seven machine but I cannot access the quot change advanced sharing options quot menu When I click on Cannot access "Change Advanced Sharing Options" the link it just does nothing That is not the only strange issue I am having there are several other menus scattered around the control panel I cannot access and a few places were right-clicking to properites doesn't work quot Computer quot for example I Cannot access "Change Advanced Sharing Options" also have Cannot access "Change Advanced Sharing Options" a new issue with IE opening multiple tabs when opening a new one this one may have been caused by a program that I installed I removed it and things seem to have improved I am running windows enterprize N any help would be great thanks -bnvm

A:Cannot access "Change Advanced Sharing Options"

It sounds like you have lost or corrupted some system files to me. Maybe that rouge program caused the problem.

Try going to start/search lower left. Type cmd then right click on the little dos icon and run as admin.
At the cursor type sfc/scannow then enter. Let it complete the scan which will take some time. If the problem isn't fixed try doing it a couple more times.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/55859-cannot-access-change-advanced-sharing-options.html
Relevancy 91.16%

Hey all This is a weird question but I've been trying to figure out how to CREATE a quot protected operating system file folder quot For example quot desktop ini quot is one My story is that You Create Operating How System File"? "Protected a Do I accidentally deleted a junction the C Documents and Settings junction which maps to C Users for backwards compatibility I created a new one using the command-line mklink tool but the folder is not marked as a quot protected operating system file quot so when I turn the option on to hide those How Do You Create a "Protected Operating System File"? it still shows up The only thing I can find online that is special about these files is that they have the System and Hidden attributes both turned on I have turned these on but it still shows up so there seems to be another flag behind the scenes that marks files as quot protected quot files Any search turns up a million tutorials for how to go into the Folder Options GUI and turn on off the quot show quot option Does anyone know how to do this Let me know if I need to elucidate

A:How Do You Create a "Protected Operating System File"?

Hello Jim,

You might see if using this command in a elevated command prompt, then restart the computer may work. It should make it a hidden system file.

attrib +s +h full folder path /S /D

or

attrib +s +h full folder path /S /D /L

Hope this helps some,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/45468-how-do-you-create-protected-operating-system-file.html
Relevancy 91.16%

I work at a small business We have two computers on a network in our shop We have run into difficulties on mulitple occasions when trying to change our passwords We have to re-enter our passwords after every time the computer goes into quot sleep quot mode and our system requires us to change our passwords monthly These are passwords for each computer individually and not the network If we do not change the password for the secondary terminal which is also our cash register immediately following changing the primary system we get an error message saying we are quot locked out quot of the administrator profile on the login screen If this happens we shut down the computer for an hour or two and try to login again This seems to have a success rate and if it does work we change our password problem solved Normally this can be avoided all together But now it seems we have an additional problem We cannot change the password on our secondary terminal at all We have tried multiple passwords all of which meet the minimum password requirements but each attempt returns a message that simply says quot Windows cannot change the password quot This is not the same error we get if we mis-type our old password or try to enter a password that does not meet the requirements The current password has been in place for a month and was put in place the same day as our primary terminal's which we had no problem changing These combined problems add up to not being able to use our cash register for hours at a time so we need a solution "Windows the Windows change 7 cannot password" as quickly as possible I would thank you graciously for any help that anyone can provide

A:"Windows cannot change the password" Windows 7

Hi -

Per TSF Rules, we cannot assist with password-related issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940765

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-cannot-change-the-password-windows-7-a-501731.html
Relevancy 91.16%

I work the cannot password" "Windows Windows 7 change at a small business We have two computers on a network in our shop We have run into difficulties on mulitple occasions when trying to change our passwords We have to re-enter our passwords after every time the computer goes into quot sleep quot "Windows cannot change the password" Windows 7 mode and our system requires us to change our passwords monthly These are passwords for each computer individually and not the network If we do not change the password for the secondary terminal which is also our cash register immediately following changing the primary system we get an error message saying we are quot locked out quot of the administrator profile on the login screen If this happens we shut down the computer for an hour or two and try to login again This seems to have a success rate and if it does work we change our password problem solved Normally this can be avoided all together But now it seems "Windows cannot change the password" Windows 7 we have an additional problem We cannot change the password on our secondary terminal at all We have tried multiple passwords all of which meet the minimum password requirements but each attempt returns a message that simply says quot Windows cannot change the password quot This is not the same error we get if we mis-type our old password or try to enter a password that does not meet the requirements The current password has been in place for a month and was put in place the same day as our primary terminal s which we had no problem changing These combined problems add up to not being able to use our cash register for hours at a time so we need a solution as quickly as possible I would thank you graciously for any help that anyone can provide nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-cannot-change-the-password-windows-7.934512/
Relevancy 89.01%

Greetings,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but here goes,I have a pdf document that I need to open and print but when I go to open it it says password protected so I am unable to open it.Under pdf info it says everything is allowed except document assembly.The viewer I use is PDF xchange viewer.Is there a way for me to remove the restriction and open this file?(The document was sent to me therefore the password is not known)

A:password protected pdf file

we cannot assist with bypassing passwords, unfortunately. May want to re-read the rules page at techguy.org/rules.html. As a result, I'm going to have to close this.

your best (and probably only) bet is to contact the person who created it, and either have them send you one that is not password protected, or have them give you the password.

thanks,

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/password-protected-pdf-file.1108254/
Relevancy 89.01%

Hello again,
I was wondering if there is a way that I can make a folder on my desktop (for files and programs) that needs a password to be accessed?

Relevancy 89.01%

Yesternight I downloaded a rar file for a series from the CW COMIC BOOKS..
ARROW SO2E06...
It's password protected.
Could you help me obtain its password to access it?
Would appreciate so much.
Am using a hp650 Laptop model running a Windows Ultimate OS...

A:Protected rar file password

no help for stealing here
closed

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/protected-rar-file-password.1112958/
Relevancy 89.01%

I recently used a code and encryption process from this link http://www.howtogeek.com/105633/how...-protected-folder-without-any-extra-software/ ) and saved the protected folder to my desktop. My husband recently and unknowingly deleted it and it contained all of my pictures from the past 5 years. After he deleted it, I tried restoring it from the recycle bin and I think it mightve messed up the encryption or something because now I can't get back into it and it doesn't even ask for a password. It just says it's empty. Please help.

A:Windows 8 Password Protect Folder with Encryption Code from "How-To Geek.com"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-8-password-protect-folder-with-encryption-code-from-how-to-geek-com.1116647/
Relevancy 89.01%

I have this very strange problem with my newly installed Windows 8.1 laptop, which is joined to the domain. When the logon screen appears I'm not able to log on with my credentials, the domain\username as shown are correct, but when I give my credentials
I get the error "The password is incorrect. Try again". 
I am certain that the credentials are just fine, if I choose the option sign in with different user and I use the same domain account with the same credentials it will log on into my account.
I tried to remote the computer form the domain and rejoin the computer again, but no luck. Does anyone has a solution for this? 

A:Can't login to domain account "The password is incorrect. Try again", but credentials are correct

When I choose different user and login with my account, it will logon normally. When I restart my computer it will show the last logged in account, so when I give my credentials I get the error again; "The password is incorrect. Try again".

What do you mean "choose different user and login with my account"? Do you mean logon to the account in another PC or just click "another user"?
Have you tried to logon to the domain account in another pc, then change the password, then test this issue again.
Yolanda Zhu
TechNet Community Support

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/83dd1ac1-7f61-4af0-a1c6-96ec56f40db0/cant-login-to-domain-account-quotthe-password-is-incorrect-try-againquot-but-credentials-are?forum=w8itprosecurity
Relevancy 89.01%

I cannot connect to any of my social networks using the Outlook Social connector.

Error: "Invalid user name or password".

Steps to reproduce the problem:open email and see the social connect pane at the bottom of the window
click on the green + Add sign
Select a new or existing social network provider (e.g. Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)
Enter user name and password and click the CONNECT button
See the red "Invalid User name or password" message
FYI, I am not using MySite.

I can demonstrate the username and password work for each account via the browser, but the social connector in Outlook reports the above error.

A:Outlook Social Connector "invalid user name or password" on all accts

I'm curious...
* Have you ever been able to connect to any of your social networks using the Outlook Social connector?
* Are all relevant programs up to date?
* Google is your friend. Have you done a search?

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/223142-outlook-social-connector-invalid-user-name-password-all-accts.html
Relevancy 89.01%

I have a domain 8.1 login to boots screen "Other instead with of Pro Username Windows and User" Password joined Surface Pro running Pro The following GPO settings are in place Assign a default domain for logon Do not display last logged on user Disable logging in with Microsoft accounts - uses the following registry setting - MACHINE Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Policies System NoConnectedUser - Value The end goal is for the machine to boot Windows 8.1 Pro boots to login screen with "Other User" instead of Username and Password to the login screen that just displays empty user name and password fields The problem at the moment is that instead of doing that the client boots to a screen where the only option is to click on quot Other user quot Only then does the login screen I want where they enter their username and password in full actually appear These Surface Pro 's are to be used by small children and have the quot Other User quot screen appear is confusing for them as well as being very annoying for me It's completely unnecessary I've searched all over the 'net looking for an easy way to get the client to boot straight to the standard domain joined log in screen but every time it just boots to this quot Other User quot screen that has to be clicked on in order to get the correct login screen to come up Is there any way I Windows 8.1 Pro boots to login screen with "Other User" instead of Username and Password can get this to boot straight to the login screen I want nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/973ac221-15da-4815-ac30-acbca40003de/windows-81-pro-boots-to-login-screen-with-quotother-userquot-instead-of-username-and-password?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 89.01%

I've been using Outlook 2007 for a while with no problems. I used to select my account, and when the "Enter Network Password" box popped up it had the focus, so I would just immediately type in my password. I did a set of Windows and Office updates a couple of weeks ago, and now when that box pops up the focus is still on the main Outlook mail reader screen. I have to click the Password box to shift the focus so I can type in my password. Is there a way to restore this automatic focus for the Password panel when it pops up?

A:Lost focus on Outlook "Enter Network Password" dialog box

No one else has seen this?

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/205524-lost-focus-outlook-enter-network-password-dialog-box.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi all,

I would like to disable the "encrypt with password" option using Group Policy. Where I work using this option is a disaster waiting to happen (users lose passwords all the time).

You can find this setting in Word - goto FILE, INFO, PROTECTED DOCUMENT, ENCRYPT WITH PASSWORD. I've noticed this is in other parts of office (excel etc.).

I have a .ADMX template in AD to manage Office 2010 - is there any way to disable this for the entire Office 2010 suite?

Any and all help greatly appreciated,
Rob

A:Office 2010 - Disable "encrypt with password" using Group Policy?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\Security]
"DisablePasswordUI"=dword:00000001

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/286758-office-2010-disable-encrypt-password-using-group-policy.html
Relevancy 88.58%

I attempted to enter my password. Then, realized the prompt changed... Prompt now reads "Enter System Password ".

I'm stumped and now my laptop is useless. I'll probably replace it soon. But, would love to have access to my Dell XPS 12, again.

Thank you for all of your help!
Jenna

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19991785
Relevancy 88.58%

IE had been great in remembering all of my password settings however ever since Windows Caused Settings Updates to Windows IE8 Password My "Forget" All installed several Updates a couple of days ago my IE does not remember my password settings Here s a list of the Windows Updates that were installed I have no idea which if any of them caused the problem Any suggestions as to how to repair IE so that it will again remember my password settings I ve tried to reset them but each time I go onto a site I have to enter the password all over again I don t want to do a System Restore if I don t have to so please help if you can Thanks so much Here s the list Definition Update for Windows Defender KB Update for Windows Vista for x based systems KB Security Update for Windows Vista for Windows Updates Caused IE8 to "Forget" All My Password Settings x based systems KB Windows Malicious Software Windows Updates Caused IE8 to "Forget" All My Password Settings Removal Tool x August KB Update for Windows Mail Junk Email Filter for x Windows Updates Caused IE8 to "Forget" All My Password Settings based systems KB Security Update for Windows Vista for x based systems KB Security Update for Windows Vista for x based systems KB Security Update for Windows Vista for x based systems KB Security Update for Windows Vista for x based systems KB

A:Windows Updates Caused IE8 to "Forget" All My Password Settings

Originally Posted by Imperfect1

IE8 had been great in remembering all of my password settings, however, ever since Windows installed several Updates a couple of days ago, my IE8 does not remember my password settings. Here’s a list of the 9 Windows Updates that were installed. I have no idea which (if any) of them caused the problem. Any suggestions as to how to repair IE8 so that it will again remember my password settings? I’ve tried to reset them, but each time I go onto a site, I have to enter the password all over again. I don’t want to do a System Restore if I don’t have to, so please help, if you can. Thanks so much. Here’s the list:
1. Definition Update for Windows Defender KB915597
2. Update for Windows Vista for x64 based systems KB9683389
3. Security Update for Windows Vista for x64 based systems KB956744
4. Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 – August 2009 KB890830
5. Update for Windows Mail Junk Email Filter for x64 based systems KB905866
6. Security Update for Windows Vista for x64 based systems KB973507
7. Security Update for Windows Vista for x64 based systems KB971657
8. Security Update for Windows Vista for x64 based systems KB971557
9. Security Update for Windows Vista for x64 based systems KB973540

i have a feeling it was the update for the x64 based systems. that is the most general optoin, as the others refer to windows defender and the security updates

now you have an idea of what caused it, do what you can.
otherwise, its the restore
Lil' Domii

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/242253-windows-updates-caused-ie8-forget-all-my-password-settings.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Dear Techguys I am going mad with frustration today I have just upgraded from XP to windows - transferring my data from my old XP laptop to my newer one that is running windows - by using the quot windows easy transfer quot facility Agreed transferring is easy aqnd all my data is there it seems Phew However one of my accounts on the Transfer Easy password is Windows - "the username incorrect" or old laptop call it oldaccount for the purpose here had a password on it say but when I try to logto it on the new laptop for that same account it says quot user name or password is incorrect quot I thought I could get round this problem by going to administrator user and deleting "the username or password is incorrect" - Windows Easy Transfer the password for account quot oldaccount quot - yes that does get round the prooblem "the username or password is incorrect" - Windows Easy Transfer and I "the username or password is incorrect" - Windows Easy Transfer can log in to the oldaccount - but of course I no longer have any password securtity on it I quot thought quot quot oh all I need do is now go back into the administrator account and create a password in the new laptop for that quot oldaccount quot - but when I then try to log into it I get the same error quot the username or password is incorrect quot Can anyone please help me to set up a password for this old user account on my new laptop I know from searching the web this is a problem others have encountered but sadly I haven t found anyone who has managed to crack this seemingly simple problem Any help gratefully appreciated Cheers mike inch nbsp

A:"the username or password is incorrect" - Windows Easy Transfer

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/the-username-or-password-is-incorrect-windows-easy-transfer.943696/
Relevancy 88.58%

I received a new laptop at work to install Windows 10 Pro on. It previously had Windows 8 Home but I did a clean install of Windows 10 and upgraded it to Pro using a valid key. The issue I'm facing now is that when I try to login, I get the "Password is incorrect issue" many times trying to login with a domain controller user account. I've searched and have found no answers. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem? I'm currently on Build14393.

I assume the upgrade to Pro, which simply installed the 'Pro' features on top of the Windows 10 Home upgrade, didn't fully install the domain functions? There was no option for me to do a clean install of Windows Pro from USB. I'm just throwing that out there just in case.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/67524-password-incorrect-domain-controller-user-account.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Have tried to install Win 8. Presently running Win 7 (single PC).

Everything goes fine until I come to input screen asking for password to either "login to network" or "login to go online" (don't remember exactly).

Have no idea what this password is. Can anyone tell me what is going on here and how best to determine the required password.....

Thanks in advance as I am really stuck here.
Wizzzard

A:Can't get past "Enter password to login onto network (go online)"

Within a network (accessing a workgroup share), you need the user name and password used on the network machine.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/12196-cant-get-past-enter-password-login-onto-network-go-online.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Instructions on line tell me to open group policy what to do from there, however, when I try to open group policy, I get this:

MMC cannot open the file C:\Windows\system32\gpedit.msc

This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file.

Help?

A:Disabling the "Show password" icon when logging into Windows

Is it Windows 8 Home, Pro, or Enterprise? Are you logged in as an Administrator? Is this computer on a domain?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disabling-the-show-password-icon-when-logging-into-windows.1165181/
Relevancy 88.58%

When testing the account settings in Outlook, a pop up window keeps on alerting me to "Enter the Network Password". Cox technical personnel was not able to assist me solve the problem; even though, I have a Cox e-Mail account.

My system is Windows 7; and,
my e-Mail is MS Office 2007

Does anyone know how to get past this problem? Otherwise, I am unable to synchronize my e-Mail.

Thank you,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/outlook-2007-enter-network-password-problem-511661.html
Relevancy 88.58%

PROBLEM I suddenly can't access emails sent to me I can send email OK When I click on quot get mail quot I'm all of a sudden asked to enter my password When I do so I get the following message exact wording quot Sending of password did not succeed quot quot Mail server pop west cox net responded invalid user name or password quot I've tried both changing my master password as well as resetting my master password neither of those changes help Any suggestions are greatly appreciated Thx very much for master Can't failed" email; receive password "Sending of any help SYSTEM SOFTWARE INFO Seamonkey version OS WinXP Home edition Seamonkey Extensions I don't know if any are installed Server Type POP and SMTP ISP Cox Cable AV Can't receive email; "Sending of master password failed" Norton Compact folders - not regularly but always when prompted quot do I want to compact quot Server settings Name pop west cox net port number Outgoing server name smtp west cox net port number Under quot Security and Authentication quot the User Name and Password check box is checked the user name field shows the correct user name and under quot Use Secure Connection quot quot TLS if available quot is checked

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f131/cant-receive-email-sending-of-master-password-failed-287978.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hello there,

As you all know some people use dial up connection. I am one of them. I would like to click my dialup and automatically connect rather than viewing the " Username and password window " as I have saved UN and PW anyway, Basically, I would like to make it fully automatic, now this is the problem as can be seen in the ATTACHMENT.

It shows, lack of options in windows 10 when it comes to tweaking options for dialup. So please help me on how to do it without the help of GUI. As I downloaded and install the same file to install my dialer, I know there has to be a way to " Remove the tickmark from highlighted fields in the above pic "

I can use regedit or stuff like that as I've been in it for awhile, so feel free to suggest me how to solve this problem.

Regards,
Fazy.

A:No " Prompt for username and password " option in windows 10 Dialup.

following thread.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/12396-no-prompt-username-password-option-windows-10-dialup.html
Relevancy 88.58%

I am on my Laptop trying to connect to my iMac. It does show up under Network, but when I click it, I get this error. I typed in my Laptop username and password, but it rejects it.

What can I do?

Thank you.

A:"Enter Network Password" Windows Security error.

Go to your mac and setup your advanced sharing, set it to no password and share the folders you want to access.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/199101-enter-network-password-windows-security-error.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hi All, need some help here. Windows 8.1 possible to permanent display "Reset Password" button on logon screen? Current setting u need first enter an incorrect username/password, only the button will be displayed.

Thank you....

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/72488-windows-8-1-permanent-display-reset-password-button.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hello there

So I'm experiencing strange BitLocker behaviour. I have this PC at work. Clean Windows 8 x64 installation, 3 HDD (AHCI), no SSD.

After I set up BitLocker to encrypt "C" partition, it gave me pop-up window, that I should restart PC to test the BitLocker loader. So I clicked Yes. And after few seconds I got this:

Mind, I'm still ABLE TO type password (i can't see sh** though), after I hit enter Windows IS booting, but it's really weird to see above picture instead of:

(at my home PC).

My GFX is OK, I tested it with games, benchmarks etc.

Any thoughts people?

Kind Regards

Bart

A:VERY strange BitLocker "enter password" startup screen

Up, anyone?

http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/26387-very-strange-bitlocker-enter-password-startup-screen.html
Relevancy 88.58%

I ve got several machines in a small group of machines the machine doing the Disk Sharing is a win k machine others are win home premium xp s and even more win k machines They have all worked with the shared disk lets call it c a Myfile mounted on the remote machines O drive all have worked perfectly for many years until this week Monday or Tuesday all of a sudden two win machines when trying to mount the shared disk come up with quot Enter network password quot while a third win machine mounts it fine There is no quot network password quot the old win k platform did not have any network password The only clue so far is that if one goes into the win system under the adapter and quot Client for Microsoft Networks quot is clicked the error happens if not clicked no error happens and suddenly machines win Solved: "Network 7 Password" Some request it never connects either A third win machine works fine so far I ve gone so Solved: Some win 7 machines suddenly request "Network Password" far as to do a complete system restore and as soon as the network is activated the error occurs I ve turned off the automatic updates for now Help I m at my wit s end on this Anybody have a solution nbsp

A:Solved: Some win 7 machines suddenly request "Network Password"

Thanks to Kevin for the fix!!!

Home Premium does not have the local security policy manager, so you need to do it through your regedit command.

I just did this and got it to work and I would consider myself a novice at this stuff.

So here is the regedit way: Click Start - type in regedit at the search prompt - open regedit. For safety, make a copy first!!

Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then SYSTEM then CurrentControlSet then Control then LSA.

On the right half there should be a bunch of names and types.

You need to add a new DWORD to the list so anywhere in the right half right click and hover over
"new" and select DWORD (mine said DWORD 32-bit value).

Cut and paste this in the name of the new DWORD you are adding without the quotes "LmCompatibilityLevel".

Now if you look under the column Data it should read 0x00000001 (0). This needs to be 0x00000001 (1).

To change the 0 to a 1, right click on the LmCompatibilityLevel name you just added and select Modify.
Change the Value data: from 0 to 1.

My Base was checked as Hexadecimal. Click OK. Close out of the Regedit.

Reboot your machine and whalla, it should work. I saw a couple of other threads that recommended changing
the value to 2, but 1 worked for me.

This is the fix that worked, a single entry in the Registry !! "

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-some-win-7-machines-suddenly-request-network-password.1134813/
Relevancy 88.58%

This is the third time I'm trying to issue networking Username 7 and/or "Invalid - Password" Windows make this post This is absurd What do you have only a minute before you get timed out This time I saved it to notepad so I Windows 7 networking issue - "Invalid Username and/or Password" can paste it I just wrote out about paragraphs only to have it all lost because this site had logged me out before I could submit it Just another frustration Well I'm not going to sit here and type everything out again Took me forever So I'm just going to sum it up I keep having the same issue when trying to share data on a Windows network It's beyond frustrating In my opinion Windows network is unintuitive and broken Today I had to replace two computers on a clients network It's a simple small business network where I'm just using a normal computer running Windows to share some data The problem is that sometimes at random a computer will not connect to the share It will tell me that I have the wrong username and password when the share doesn't require a username or password I made two identical computers that were set up the exact same way The first time they both connected to the share just fine I was shocked and happy as I almost always have the issue I'm describing However I ended up having to reformat one of the machines and set it back up again I did so the exact same way This time it won't connect to the network share It prompts me for a username and password and no matter what I put it will not let me connect I have been having this issue for a long time here and there and have never been able to fix it without reformatting the machine I have tried countless suggestions but nothing ever works Once it does this I have always had to reformat I do not understand how it could work and then a couple hours later it won't after a format The hardware hasn't changed and the settings haven't changed I have been through the policies through the advanced sharing settings and the network settings and everything is identical to the machine that will connect with no problem How can this be Can anyone think of a way to get this thing to connect without having to reformat it until it randomly works Thank you for your time

A:Windows 7 networking issue - "Invalid Username and/or Password"

Home Network, Wireless Network and Computer Networking Made Easy
http://www.home-network-help.com/

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/303116-windows-7-networking-issue-invalid-username-password.html
Relevancy 88.58%

For some reason I can no longer access my XP shares from Windows 7 Home Premium. This was working for about 2 months (since I got this machine) but now everytime I attempt to access my XP files it asks for the network password (of course there is no such thing). Any ideas?

A:"Enter network password" when attempting to access XP share.

Quote: Originally Posted by drobinow

For some reason I can no longer access my XP shares from Windows 7 Home Premium. This was working for about 2 months (since I got this machine) but now everytime I attempt to access my XP files it asks for the network password (of course there is no such thing). Any ideas?

Please allow the Guest account access to all of the files on both the share security and the file system security settings.

You can start this process by right clicking the share and root directory and hitting the Security tab, then adding 'Guest' and allow entries, respectively until completed.

While you're there you may as well be sure that there are no deny permissions active.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/229645-enter-network-password-when-attempting-access-xp-share.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hello and thanks for taking the time to look at this I ll try to keep this as short yet detailed as possible History I bought this laptop about - "Incorrect Big worries.. GMER, Strange = Password" & trouble event, w/ HijackThis etc yrs ago Touchpad stopped reacting to touch about a year ago I use a mouse Green text here has been updated and clarified I ve received messages from my internet provider saying a toolbar update needs done and that all browser windows will be closed Strange "Incorrect Password" event, trouble w/ HijackThis & GMER, etc = Big worries.. and I ll be prompted to restart the computer I click the X and it says quot the toolbar update cannot continue without administrator credentials An administrator can update the software after hrs has elapsed quot There s never been an administrator set up on this computer that I know of so that seems like an odd message I ve also noticed that for some reason the memory load slowly increases as viewed on task manager and the computer slows down even if I don t do anything other than leave those browsers open Maybe this is normal but I don t know so I thought I d mention it Ok a few days ago the computer froze up like many people this has happened before and wasn t extremely concerning Not sure exactly why it froze but I often leave the computer on for weeks at a time while I m working researching numerous things I ll usually have - internet windows open with multiple tabs in each window during that time So with the computer unresponsive I have to push hold the pwr button to turn it off I then simply restart it by pushing the pwr button Er not so simple as you ll see Here s the really strange and scary part Just prior to the desktop appearing the password box appears so I enter my password It says that s the incorrect password I try numerous more attempts and start questioning my knowledge of the password which I m sure is correct the only being there because the computer keeps saying incorrect password I begin trying multiple passwords that are quot close quot to what my password is in case my finger was one key off when I set it I do this for about an hour I even try selecting an option can t remember exactly what it said to change the password However it refers to a password disk that I never created By now I m freaking out It still has the enter password screen and is saying I entered an incorrect password so I walk away to call and ask someone a Q about this problem I m gone for about - minutes I come back and my desktop is up and looks normal It s like it just quot unlocked itself quot or finally decided to quot accept quot the password I d been entering numerous times before Someone who knows more about computers than me said she d heard of something causing your password to be changed amp or unrecognized but hadn t heard of the computer quot unlocking itself quot like mine did Needless to say I m now terrified to restart the computer for fear it won t accept my password and I know that restarting usually becomes part of the troubleshooting repairing process I feel like removing the password would be a great option but I m concerned that if I try and the computer again decides not to recognize the password that it ll freeze up at the change password screen I also don t remember exactly where the change password area is located I think it s maybe on the Cntrl Alt Del screen and how to simply remove the password vs change it I backed up everything on the computer onto a thumb drive and second non-internet connected computer Then I decide to check with the experts on TSG to see if this means I have some kind of malware or virus causing this I follow Cookies directions in the everyone must read before posting post When trying to run HijackThis the following occurred - It paused line the one that starts with F - REG system ini and gives the following message in blue quot For some reason your system denied write access to the Hosts file If any ... Read more

A:Strange "Incorrect Password" event, trouble w/ HijackThis & GMER, etc = Big worries..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/strange-incorrect-password-event-trouble-w-hijackthis-gmer-etc-big-worries.1100196/
Relevancy 88.58%

Well, I have a big problem. I have a laptop that was manufacturer by TOSHIBA with Vista Home Premium OS. And I haven't used it in awhile, so I kinda forgot the Windows Login Password. It's only one account on it, the "Administrator" account. So the problem is I need to login on that laptop, but sadly, I didn't make a "reset disk" for the password on it. Is there anyway I can ever log back onto it? Please Help.

KenzCM

A:Windows Vista Login Password Forgotten - No Reset Disk Was Made: "Needs Help"

Originally Posted by KenzCM

Well, I have a big problem. I have a laptop that was manufacturer by TOSHIBA with Vista Home Premium OS. And I haven't used it in awhile, so I kinda forgot the Windows Login Password. It's only one account on it, the "Administrator" account. So the problem is I need to login on that laptop, but sadly, I didn't make a "reset disk" for the password on it. Is there anyway I can ever log back onto it? Please Help.

KenzCM

Kenz

Do you have the vista DVD? If so you can boot from the dvd and during the setup there is a key combo (shift-F10) that varies from mfr to mfr. That will get you to the command prompt. You may not need to run as admin but just in case this is how>>>> ( right click the top bar and run as admin) type net user administrator /active:true

that will enable the built in hidden admin account. reboot logon change password.

Let us know if this doesn't work

Ken

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/257309-windows-vista-login-password-forgotten-no-reset-disk-made-needs-help.html
Relevancy 88.58%

i have read your reply here for same question so i want to know if u can help me too http en community dell com support-forums laptop f t aspx Srvice Tag No lt Admin Note removed per privacy policy RK gt DELL INSPIRON N I am owner of my Dell INSPIRON N but i m not from USA my computer hanged so my friend just restored its BIOS setting i am not sure if these are called BIOS but it happened as he restarted Laptop pressed F and there he restored settings nbsp then when it restarted there appeared a black screen in middle of which there is a blue box saying quot Insert system password quot nbsp Now i tried looking over internet all over the place nbsp I found out a few reasonable solutions nbsp - remove a battery with motherboard but for that you need an expert for which my laptop might have to opened which i prefer not to get opened nbsp - second provide your service tag S N on dellpasswords com but that asks for which i think is just too much nbsp Now I want if the second one can be done for reset password" Setting! system "insert BIOS a Dell shows my i need N5010 help? My when free or anyother viable solution nbsp thank you

A:My Dell N5010 shows a "insert system password" when i reset my BIOS Setting! need help?

Hi,
Please share the system's Service Tag and Owner's Name and the exact message you get with the code via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation). I will try and check if a master password can be generated for this to help you reset the password.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19579187
Relevancy 88.58%

HI,

I've reinstalled my computer with XP SP2 instead of Windows 2000.
Now, I've noticed that the option I used to have, a check box for remebering user name and password is gone.
For example, when I log into MS Messenger, I can no longer have this option, and I need to reenter my user name and password with each login.
Another example, is a web site that I have a username and password for, I get a blank username and password text boxes. The username text box has a drop down list, but it remebers nothing.
How can I get back this feature?

Thanks,

Nivo

A:Solved: Where did "remember username and password" disappeared?

In IE > tools > internet options > content tab > autocomplete > put a check in user names and passwords on forms and Prompt me to save passwords and ok your way out.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-where-did-remember-username-and-password-disappeared.370009/
Relevancy 88.58%

Hi

UltraVNC keeps popping up at boot (even though ive disabled its startup entry and service) saying THIS MACHINE PREVENTS USER FROM CONFIGURING A PASSWORD or summit like that - ive set a pass in VNC but it still comes on??

I dont wish to set a password in windows...

How can I stop this nag screen?

thanks

Relevancy 88.58%

I reached the limit of my patience well over an hour ago and I'm praying that someone has the answer I can't seem to find anywhere I have three PCs Hal Falcon and Athena Hal and Falcon are desktops running Ultimate x Athena is a netbook running Home Premium bit "Enter help Network resolving Need Password" issue All of them played nicely with each other across the network and not a single quot Enter Network Password quot prompt was to be found From Hal I could get into Athena and Falcon from Athena I could get into Hal and Falcon Need help resolving "Enter Network Password" issue you get the idea Yesterday I reformatted Athena with the same OS Need help resolving "Enter Network Password" issue it has now Home Premium bit Post install things went pear shaped Athena can get into Hal and Falcon Hal and Falcon can get into each other Hal and Falcon cannot get into Athena From both of those machines I get an quot Enter Network Password quot prompt I spent literally all day looking for a solution I did not find one I rebooted I searched I double checked all the settings I ran a troubleshooter that said I didn't have permission to access the Share this is the default Share by the way the User Folder Share so with my limited knowledge I checked the Permissions To my eyes everything was identical to the other two computers and there was no reason I shouldn't be able to walk right in Today I spent much of the day again looking for answers before finally giving up this evening in frustration and reformatting again After the format things looked good I got in I ran Windows Update tried the Network again and I was back where I started quot Enter Network Password quot So I reformatted a THIRD time Again straight off the first boot things work just as expected and then literally no more than five minutes later as I'm attempting to move my backup over the network having not done a SINGLE thing to Athena quot Enter Network Password quot I am as I said at the very end of my patience nevermind knowledge I have no idea where to even start trying to figure this out anymore and I NEED all three computers to play nicely together My user account is the same name the same password across all machines And yet Windows Security's quot Enter Network Password quot refuses my credentials irregardless of how I type them in To make matters even stranger while none of my Windows PCs can access Athena I have three separate Macs that find the Share and mount it without any problem at all What is this problem where did it come from and why is it a problem NOW on this hardware on this system when it wasn't before I formatted Nothing has changed Someone please tell me you know what's happening and how I can resolve this I'm pulling my hair out restraining myself from breaking something

A:Need help resolving "Enter Network Password" issue

It looks like you already are using different names for each PC, such as Hal-PC and so on.

Other that that make sure the time/date settings are in sync with those machines as this will cause problems such as you are describing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/242774-need-help-resolving-enter-network-password-issue.html