Windows Support Forum

Windows 7 - Installing 3TB Drives

Q: Windows 7 - Installing 3TB Drives

I bought an Asus H87M-E. I can't install 3 X 3TB hard drive Raid 5 on this board. It is a new board, I can't find Bois update. I created the Raid5. the O/S displays the drives with different sizes 2048, 745, 1875GB. I have no idea what is happening! Tech support said it is windows problem, But I don't buy that. I broke the raid and try to install the O/S on a single drives, but the O/S recognize it as 745GB.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows 7 - Installing 3TB Drives

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Windows 7 - Installing 3TB Drives

Windows normally accept only 2 terabyte in re installing the windows you should make a partition for your new 3TB hdd.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-installing-3tb-drives.198158/
Relevancy 53.75%

So when I got my P6TDeluxe and two 75gb SAS drives a year ago I was planning on installing Vista x64 onto the SAS drives and call all my data from my terabyte drive. Brilliant, I thought, until vista was unable to install on the drives (let alone detect them during installation).

My question for you is this:

Will Windows 7 recognize the SAS drives as raw partitions that can be used as an install point

and

Can I do this in Raid0? Raid1?

Thanks in advance,
N

A:Help Installing Windows 7 on SAS Drives

[QUOTE=Najica;322959]
My question for you is this:

Will Windows 7 recognize the SAS drives as raw partitions that can be used as an install point

and

Can I do this in Raid0? Raid1?
Yes, Windows will recognise the partition provided that you install the boot to the C: drive in the particular partition and that the partition is given priority in the bios as boot priority "1"

Yes this can be performed on redundant drives.

You will need the vista raid driver.

Regards,
Adrian

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/30766-help-installing-windows-7-sas-drives.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello My hard drive was dead so I sent it when were No 7 windows found drives installing away to quot KnowHow quot to get a replacement when i got it back it was running extremely slow so i decided to install windows because I had the CD laying around to see if it would run any better midway through the install I canceled and decided to install window instead when I got to quot where do you want to install windows quot there was no drives and a message saying quot No drives were found Click load driver to provide a No drives were found when installing windows 7 mass storage driver for installation quot I then go the AHCI SATA driver for motherboard still the same error so I then went and did a chkdsk but got an error saying quot the type of the file system is NTFS cannot unlock drive Windows cannot run disk checking on No drives were found when installing windows 7 this volume because it is write protected quot I have tried a full format of the drive also when in diskpart if i try to create a primary partition I get a big error message I will provide it if needed

A:No drives were found when installing windows 7

Back up any files, unplug all other HD's and peripherals,

Boot into BIOS setup, reset to defaults, save changes. If an EFI BIOS you'll need to decide if you want UEFI BIOS vs. Legacy BIOS. If UEFI follow these special steps for Install, otherwise enable Legacy BIOS or Compatibility Support Module to proceed with normal install:

Set DVD drive first to boot, HD second, set SATA controller to AHCI, Save changes and Exit.

Then boot into Windows 7 installer DVD or flash stick burned or written using tool and latest ISO for your licensed OS version here. I would use a fresh ISO written with tool in Step 2 as yours is in question.

At first installer screen Press Shift + F10, or enter System Recovery Options to open a Command Box, type:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 0 (after confirming Windows 7 target HD #)
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="WINDOWS 7"
ACTIVE
EXIT
EXIT

Next click Install Now, then Custom install to Clean Install Windows 7 to the partition you created. If it fails then report back at which step and the verbatim error message.

In addition read over these steps to understand the tools and methods which work best to get and maintain a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. The steps are the same for retail.

After install you can adjust partition size or Create new partitions for data, etc. in Disk Mgmt. You are creating the partition here for the purpose of wiping the HD and marking Active which overcomes certain install failures.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/319241-no-drives-were-found-when-installing-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 53.32%

So, I was reinstalling Windows, and when it comes up to the bit that I choose the partition, it comes with nothing. At the bottom it says:

Quote:
no drives were found. click load driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation

I am a newbie at computers and I dont want to open up my pc. Any suggestions?
My specs:

Quote:
Intel(r) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
4gb ram
windows 7 ultimate 32bit

Detected Chipset:
Intel? G43/G45 Express Chipset
Memory controller:
Intel? 82G43/82G45 Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH)
I/O Controller:
Intel? 82801JIB Intel? I/O Controller Hub (ICH10)

It's been fine when i was reinstalling windows few months ago, but it started to bsod (blue screen of death) a lot so I want to reinstall. And that happens. Please help.

A:No drives were found while installing windows.

Unplug and plug again the sata power cable and the sata data cable . It may make it visible .

If not, follow SATA Driver - Load in Windows 7 or Vista Setup .

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/153279-no-drives-were-found-while-installing-windows.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hey all After Installing hard Windows refuses to XP Home; recognise Solved: Windows drives completely accidentally doing Solved: Installing Windows XP Home; Windows refuses to recognise hard drives something called quot RAID quot to my hard drives i am in the position of having to re-install Windows Unfortunately the Windows disk keeps telling me that i have no hard drive I have found this tutorial http www howtogeek com howto wind d-disk-drives-during-windows-xp-installation which seems to be based on the assumption that the problem is that Windows XP does not have SATA drivers I don t know if that is the problem but i am going to try it anyway Unofrtunately you need a SATA driver to try it I have been to the manufacturers website http www gigabyte com au products product-page aspx pid amp dl driver and found a list of drivers for my machine One of them says quot SATA RAID quot I don t think i want RAID and looking at the manual that comes with that driver it doesn t look like it is a SATA driver it looks like it is for something else involving RAID that i don t understand Does anyone know how to get a SATA driver nbsp

A:Solved: Installing Windows XP Home; Windows refuses to recognise hard drives

I believe the SATA drivers you need are these ones:

"Intel ICH5R /ICH6R /ICH7R (Preinstall driver, press F6 during Windows* setup to read from floppy)"

Download them and extract them onto a floppy or CD, then during the intial windows setup (when it is loading device drivers) it will come up with an option to install 3rd party SATA / RAID drivers, you press F6 at this point and then browse to the drivers to install them. This should allow the system to utilise the SATA drives to install windows.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-installing-windows-xp-home-windows-refuses-to-recognise-hard-drives.947587/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi guys the advice on this site is second to none and I'm hoping one of you guys can point me in 8 windows drives save files installing after to Can't ?! the right direction with my current problem Basically I was running windows x on my C Can't save files to drives after installing windows 8 ?! drive and I had seperate hard drives installed as in D and E as storage Now over the past day or so I done a fresh install of Windows obviously on my C windows enterprise x to be precise Now when I try save any files to my D or E I get access denied - please contact your administrator This is very frustrating as even if I use a program live convertxtodvd to save to the particular drive it comes back with an error basically I can't save any files to them drives Ownership and permissions Yes I've right clicked the drive properties security advanced owner change and I've changed it to my username as I'm the administrator I've given myself full control I then went into 'group or user names and clicked 'edit' and make sure my name was there and I gave myself full control there too but still the same I'm literally stumped here scratches head Any advice or help on this situation please Cheers Focus

A:Can't save files to drives after installing windows 8 ?!

This is sods law to say the least but I've got it.

Basically I've enabled 2 other user accounts on this computer, 2 basic user accounts and I only gave them read privilages on the driver rather than full control. Also there was a group 'users' that I limited to read only, but when I removed this group called 'users' totally, I was able to save to the drives. I'm still unclear as to why because I had given myself full control and I was the admin,  not part of the users. Anyhow, I've got it thankfully as it was doing my head in.

Cheers guys!!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/484641/cant-save-files-to-drives-after-installing-windows-8/
Relevancy 52.89%

I need advice by detail on how i should setup for best performance later
and so many doubts occur having 2 HDD,s on Laptop: (Both HDD have same speed with 500gb)

I can format the whole windows 7 on primary HDD and then later put the pagefile on 2nd HDD maybe?
i believe 2nd HDD maybe should be wiped out completly first before using it for back up?

This also uses Intel Rapid Storage Technology if it even helps anything on laptop HDD's.

A:Installing Windows 7 on Laptop with 2 Hard Drives

In your case it probably does not matter. It is preferable to install the OS on the HDD that is on port0, else your bootmgr may end up on the other HDD. Best though is to disconnect the HDD which is not used for the installation during that installation process.

Moving the pagefile to another disk is possible but will not really yield anything if you have more than 3GBs of RAM.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/296314-installing-windows-7-laptop-2-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello there,
Hope everyone's doing just fine. So I have this Windows 7 PC with two drives, drive 0: SSD has current windows and drive 1: 1TB HDD for storage. I'm planning to do a clean install of windows 10 by formatting the ssd drive and installing windows there. Now my question is: do I have to format my hdd storage drive for a clean install? it contains general files, music, pictures, videos and a Steam folder of some games or will it cause issues with windows 10?, and what good can come from formatting it if there's any.
Thanks in advance.

A:Installing Windows 10 from a bootable USB and formatting drives..

No it is not necessary, in fact it should be disconnected for a clean install. Have only your SSD connected when you do the clean install, boot to the installer (USB/DVD) and when you get to 'where do you want to install Windows', use the advanced options to delete all partitions, then select the 'New Button' and click it. Windows will create the new partitions and format it for you.
This will show you how. Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums . After the installation is complete, shut the computer down and reconnect your hard drive.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/35298-installing-windows-10-bootable-usb-formatting-drives.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Recently I installed Windows 8.1 on my Dell N5010(Intel i5,64 bit) successfully. After that I install Ubuntu 11.10 with 32-bit using partitioning C drive option(because no other option work for me!).
When I reboot & want to boot Windows 8,blue screen appear with error "File Missing windows\system32\winload.exe". When I try to reinstall Windows 8,after selection Install,custom & version option I get problem to install fresh copy of OS.Screen from which we select on which partition want to install,no any partition of HDD.It is totally blank with error at bottom "No Drive found". In BIOS,it shows HDD.

DELL person says,"It may Software issue".

How to solve this problem.

What can I do to recover from this problem without losing any files from my HDD because all documents,files are stored. I don't have any backup.
Thank You.

A:“No Drives Found” error for re-installing Windows 8

You can either try to remove the drive off from your laptop and connect it to another PC for you to get your files or you can try to use a bootable USB/CD to boot your laptop and copy the files you need from the hard drive. If you had no luck with both procedures then ask for a professional service and request for an RMA for your hard drive.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/46746-no-drives-found-error-re-installing-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I would like to discus everyone s failures and success with type of install 2008 Drives 7/Server Installing on R2 Windows 2TB In other Threads we have disused partitioning out the drive into partitions to overcome problems So let s hear about your installs Here is Mine I want to put TB SATA drives in my Windows R server but while I was test installing Windows R refused to see the full space correctly I am worried there is an issue with the Windows R code in relation to TB SATA drives Seems to work great on SAS or SCSI Typically when I install data drives in a Installing Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 on 2TB Drives server I use RAID This typically shows up as x size of drive So when I have GB drives I see TB of space Note I understand RAID and I know about parity and that it Installing Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 on 2TB Drives is NOT all useable space but let s just count it as space Installing Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 on 2TB Drives for the sake of this test Note My OS is on a mirrored K drives and not part of the RAID for data When I install TB drives you would expect to see TB of space however Windows Server R only shows it as TB of space After checking settings and making lots of changes I finally got it to show as partitions of TB and no hint of the TB of leftover space I switched between GB and GB drives same machine same Windows Server R just different drives With the GB I get TB of space and with the GB again I get TB of space Back to the TB drives and I only get TB of space I tried different SATA controllers including the one on the motherboard built-in All do the same thing In the controller BIOS I see all drives and can create a TB RAID but when I boot to Windows Server R it only see TB Side test I replaced my OS Windows Server R drives with one new GB SATA fresh out of the factory box I installed Windows on the drive and then tried to access the x TB drives with the same results I see the x GB drives fine and I see the x GB drives fine Is it possible there is an error in the SATA drivers or is there a code problem in Windows R Please note if I use SAS or SCSI drives I do not have any problems everything works as expected DocBrown how did your TB drive install go

A:Installing Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 on 2TB Drives

Had this 2_tb HD running for 1 month now, No Problems.
Full format, No Partitions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/75068-installing-windows-7-server-2008-r2-2tb-drives.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hey all. Back when I first set up my system I used a tutorial on this forum that showed how to install the OS on one drive and everything else on the other. The setup required changing the registry settings in audit mode during the initial OS install. I am looking for this tutorial but now can't find it. I even posted in this post, but even those are missing so I can't just trace my posts. I'm confused as to why it is missing and am hoping anybody could lead me back to it. Any help?

A:Missing tutorial on installing windows on multiple drives?

Quote: Originally Posted by darkstarsinner

Hey all. Back when I first set up my system I used a tutorial on this forum that showed how to install the OS on one drive and everything else on the other. The setup required changing the registry settings in audit mode during the initial OS install. I am looking for this tutorial but now can't find it. I even posted in this post, but even those are missing so I can't just trace my posts. I'm confused as to why it is missing and am hoping anybody could lead me back to it. Any help?

This sounds like what you're looking for,

User Profiles - Create and Move During Windows 7 Installation

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/182868-missing-tutorial-installing-windows-multiple-drives.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I'm trying to install Windows 7 on a Sony Vaio VGN-AR570 that has two 160GB RAID controlled hard drives.

I've performed this installation before without issue, but I must have deleted the RAID driver this time.

When I select a partition to install to, the maximum space I can allocate to the Windows 7 OS is about 150GB (the free space on a single HD).

I would like to allocate 280 GB to a Windows 7 OS (RAID controlled), leaving 40 GB for another dual-booted OS.

Please advise.

A:Installing Windows 7 between 2 RAID controlled hard drives.

you can do it in that way: Create the 150GB partition, and create another partition on the second hard drive, and after you finish installing windows you will find the other created partition and format it, in this way it will be usable only in windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/96931-installing-windows-7-between-2-raid-controlled-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 51.6%

when i try installing windows 7 on my netbook over a network it wont detect my hard drives

A:Windows 7 Wont Detect hard drives when installing over network

What is the exact error message, and when does it appear?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/130594-windows-7-wont-detect-hard-drives-when-installing-over-network.html
Relevancy 51.6%

My laptop was not starting properly. then started reinstalling windows. once it get installed and then i shut it down. Again it shows the same problem so in started reinstallation of windows. Now i m unable to install windows as it is not detenting any drive of my hard disk. I checked on BIOS, it was showing my HDD but now showing while installing windows.

A:Unable to locate drives while installing windows 7 on my N5010 laptop

F6 drivers are required for a windows install to "see" hard drive.
If you set the sata mode to ATA instead of AHCI and the drive is smaller than 2.5 TB it will install.  You can then install WIN7 sp1 and 4,793 windows updates over 11 reboots.  Then you can patch windows to allow AHCI and not show stop 7b inaccessable boot device.  Then you can change back to AHCI.
Windows 7 SP1 support for 4K disks with emulation (512e)
This is true for vista, WIN7SP1, WIN8, WIN8.1, WIN10.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh848035%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Common NamesWindows Version with Support

512-byte Native, 512n (120GIG and smaller drives) earlier than 2011
All Windows versions
Advanced Format, 512e, AF, 512-byte Emulation

Windows 8
Windows Server 2012
Windows 7 w/ MS KB 982018
Windows 7 SP1
Windows Server 2008 R2 w/ MS KB 982018
Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
Windows Vista w/ MS KB 2553708
Windows Server 2008 w/ MS KB 2553708

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19992730
Relevancy 51.17%

I have a HP Probook 4530swith Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. When I turn on the PC the windows does'nt start and give a option of starting windows manually, which does'nt work, and repair windows. Repairing windows with windows 7 CD did not help.

I then decided to reinstall windows 7, but while installing, on the select disk page, it shows a error saying no drives found.

I then performed a Hard Disk Test which resulted in failure saying:
Failure ID : UC7WX0-5NB67S-XD6V5G-60TF03

Please help me Whether what should I do

A:Can't find drives on installing windows 7 & Hard Disk Test Failed

It sounds like the hard-drive has died and you need a new one.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/251258-cant-find-drives-installing-windows-7-hard-disk-test-failed.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I am installing what is noted above. The drives are from a dimensions 521, that is about 2 years old, and has been retired. I am installing them in an inspiron 531, but the system is not finding them after a reboot. I have entered setup and change the settings for the drives hoping the system would find them but this did not work. I read something somewhere that the dvd drives and the hard drives need to be on on specific SATA connections, ie. HD on SATA 1 SATA 2, DVD on SATA 3 SATA 4 but am not sure I cannot find where I read that to confirm. If I did not connect these to the correct SATA connection would this then prevent the system from seeing the additional drives that I have installed? I have noticed that the master HD and the master DVD are on 1 and 2

info
windows Vista Ultimate
AMD 64x2 dual cor porcessor 5000+
4 G RAM
ATI radion Hd 2400

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-2nd-hd-and-dvd-drives.809077/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi,
I recently built a computer and installed Vista. I put in 2 Raptor Drives, and was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to have vista running on one of the drives and all of my software on the 2nd drive.
I would probably also have my temporary files on the 2nd drive, would it be better just to use the 2nd drive for temporary files and the 1st drive for all of my software?
Thanks!

A:Installing on 2nd Drives

I see no advantage to installing your software on the second drive. And I see several disadvantages.

If you install your programs and OS on your boot drive you can regularly ghost it to your storage drive. If your boot drive craps out or the computer gets messed up you can just use the ghost to restore the boot drive. It is one of the best backups you can have.

Some programs have problems if not installed on the boot drive. I’ve never done that on newer operating systems so maybe it isn’t a problem like it was in the old days.

You probably want to partition your boot drive if you want to keep a ghost on your storage drive. You want to keep the boot partition contents as small as possible to have an efficient ghost, and there is no sense wasting the extra space if your Raptor’s are large drives. Since you already have the OS installed you should use software like Partition Magic to partition it. Make sure to defrag first.

Even if you don’t want to ghost the boot drive it seems like you would be better partitioning it since you seem to want to minimize what is on it. I see no reason to partition the storage drive.

Set IE to dump the temp internet files when you end the program and clean out your Windows temp files occasionally. I am not familiar with Vista, but unless it is set up to put the temp files on another drive I would leave them where they are.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-on-2nd-drives.617197/
Relevancy 44.72%

Am I able to install Windows XP or make an image onto my external drive before installing it to a new internal drive.

My condition is XP in currently on my older drive and I have only one SATA connection. I want to put this on my other newer drive. Because later I will add a Linux system alongside.

A:Drives Installing

You need some "cloning" software which puts an exact copy of your existing drive on to the new one, including the essential but invisible boot code.

The free version of HDClone can do that: Miray Software - HDClone - Hard disk copy, hard disk backup, hard disk rescue! (the paid-for versions offer more features).

Or there's DriveImage XML: DriveImage XML Backup Software - Data Recovery Product

Or XXCLONE: XXCLONE, A New Way of Cloning the Windows System Disk

I'm sure there are other free ones but those above are just the three I know of.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/drives-installing-642651.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I Installing drives have a new to me IBM NetVista P Ghz running Win XP Pro SP I want to install DVD burner and a big GB hard drive The case has Installing drives open bays for both items I visited a local computer mall and saw new drives for a good price but the sales guy there said the HD may not work because my motherboard may not support so large a drive Here s an extract from Belarc of Installing drives what I have Main System Board Board IBM IBM Bus Clock megahertz BIOS IBM KT AUS Drives Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR B CD-ROM drive quot format removeable media Floppy drive IC L AVV - Hard drive GB -- drive Ok so my questions are Re DVD Considering the low cost of drives should I dump the CD-ROM drive and get two new ones that match In the box I see the cable going to the existing CD-Rom has an unused socket Can I assume that would be for the second DVD drive Plug it in and will my system see it and will it work Any tips Re HD The existing GB HD is connected to the motherboard with a cablem that does NOT have an unused connecter like the CR Rom cable If I get such a cable install the HD and plug it all in will it all work Or is there something else that I must do to ensure such a large HD will work on my system I could take it to my local computer shop and they could I m sure do all this but I ve like to try it myself with your help Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 44.29%

I have a ASUS DVDR drive and got another drive that is a Hitachi and isn't write capable. When I try to hook up both, the Hitachi drive works but the ASUS drive won't power up and isn't recognized in the BIOS. I've tried them on the same channel and separate channels. I have tried many different combos for jumper settings including slave/master, master/slave, CS/CS, and I've tried two different IDE cables. No matter what I do, the ASUS dive will not power up unless I unhook the IDE cable from the Hitachi drive. Any ideas?
My motherboard is an ASUS A8N5X.

Relevancy 44.29%

what's the best way to do a new xp 64 bit install and manage os applications and data between one 128 gb ssd and a 300 gb hdd

thanks for you suggestions

Relevancy 44.29%

Ok I have Win XP on Win and drives 7 on XP seperate Installing a ide drive still use I bought Win and installed on a seperate drive sata I also Have a TB Storage drive for media files etc sata Now how do I do a dual boot with what operating system I want to start with Currently I am disconnecting one of the drives from inside the case to use either Xp or As I know when using XP it says C Drive and the same for Win when Im using that Think it will crash or Installing Win 7 and XP on seperate drives fail to install as they both say C Drive where the O S is ------------------------------------ Ok I got it using Easy BCD with no issues apart from a major one now I have Sata connections on Installing Win 7 and XP on seperate drives mobo -Data Drive for files media TB -Win Gb -DVDRW Drive -Blank on iDE cable - is Win XP Now upon startup where it asks wither I want or XP I can open eject the drive but when either OS Starts and is ready to use my drive sticks cant open screen freezes Tried in th Sata connection and also other drive and same thing happens Mobo specs are MCP P M GB Memory Thanks

A:Installing Win 7 and XP on seperate drives

The cleanest method is to boot via the BIOS, setting preferred HD to boot first in BIOS setup, then boot the other OS HD using one-time BIOS BOot Menu key given on first boot screen.

But since you installed Easy to Dual Boot them it has apparently caused some problems which will need repair.

Unplug all other HD's except Win7, swap data cable for DISK0 to it, set it to boot in BIOS setup after DVD drive.

Boot the Win7 DVD System Recovery Options or System Repair Disk, access Command Line to mark Win7 partition Active: Partition - Mark as Active (Method Two)

Close Command Box, choose from Recovery Tools list to Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times with reboots until Win7 starts.

Now power down to plug back in XP HD to DISK1 cable, boot up and tap the F-key given on first screen for BIOS one-time Boot Menu, see if XP HD can be triggered to boot.

If so power down to plug back in the other HD's and leave it booting via this method.

If not post back a screenshot of your maximized Disk Mgmt drive map with listings, using Snipping Tool in Start Menu. We will give you the steps to correctly configure the Dual Boot without interference.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/198874-installing-win-7-xp-seperate-drives.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi I am going to be installing two SATA dvd drives for the first time to replace my old IDE ones Drives help to need Installing two purchase - would Dvd but like now Is there anyone that knows of a good site with illustrations that could show me how to do it properly Or if anyone here could give me a few steps that would be great I could take it to the shop to have it installed Installing two Dvd Drives - would like to purchase now but need help but i need to start learning how to do this on my own Heres what I plan on buying for cables is this everything I need to instal dvd drives of these Sata Cables http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Now the Psu Converter SATA cable I need help on is the cable used to connect both dvd drives together so only an quot is Installing two Dvd Drives - would like to purchase now but need help needed or does it stretch all the way to the psu should I get one or two I have a Thermaltake Armor Full ATX Tower Thanks nbsp

A:Installing two Dvd Drives - would like to purchase now but need help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-two-dvd-drives-would-like-to-purchase-now-but-need-help.674000/
Relevancy 44.29%

I had been having problems with my desktop and Windows, so I made the decision to reinstall XP. The installation goes fine until I reach a brick wall.

After the Windows loading screen, a blue screen comes up saying that it cannot detect the CD-ROM drive. I tried changing the power supply plugs, tried cleaning them and still no dice.

So I'm wondering if someone could please help me figure out this mystery. I'm about to pull my hair out here! Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A:Installing XP and not picking up the CD-ROM drives

information holds the answer to all questions.

have you ever had problems with this drive before?
is it an external drive that might require drivers?
do you have any bent pins in it?
is it sata or ide?
how old is it?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/installing-xp-and-not-picking-up-the-cd-rom-drives-334941.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Background I was successful in building the machine from scratch and then loading the operating system Win XP and booting up with no problems When I did this to keep it simple I just connected one Installing drives New RAID HDD to the primary IDE Now I want to reinstall the system taking advantage of setting up two identical SATA HDD s on the built -in Promise RAID controller on the mobo Problem Installing New RAID drives My problem is one of getting the correct sequence and finding FDISK within Win XP to run against the RAID HDD s These is where I am in the setup process Steps I have sucessfully entered the RAID Setup Installing New RAID drives utility during Installing New RAID drives boot hardware test and configured the two drives so that the fastbuild utility says that they are operational Now the mobo installation guide says to run FDISK against the disks so that when I install the OS the OS will see the two disks as one The mobo installation guide says to runs FDISK In the DOS world I would copy FDISK to the boot floppy to do this My questions are Where is FDISK in XP How do I get FDISK to run at the right time so that the install of the operating system is able to quot see quot that drive so that I can install my OS onto the SATA drives and not the IDE drive Any ideas out there on what I am doing wrong Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 44.29%

Does anyone know how to install Vista on a drive other C: on Vista other than drives Installing than C I m experiencing that no matter Installing Vista on drives other than C: what Vista always automatically gives itself the C drive letter even if there is already an OS installed on a different partition on the same drive with the C drive letter Both installs work but trying to restore an image to the rightful C drive when this install of Vista thinks it is the C drive is causing major problems I they can be fixed if I can get Vista to stay put with a letter other than C Even if I format the partition ahead of time and give it a letter like Z it still takes the C letter when you boot into it When you boot into the quot rightful quot C drive the troublesome Vista install is shown as what I formatted it to be Z Trying differeny drive letters closer to the front of the alphabet didn t work either Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 44.29%

vista on 2 drives
Hello
I was wondering if it would be possible to have windows vista 64 bit on my main drive & install Vista 32 bit on a second hard drive using the same oem vista ultimate disc? as i want to install some audion recording software on a seperate drive
Cheers

A:Installing vista on 2 drives

From a legal standpoint, as far as I'm aware, if you only have one Product Key then you only have one licence.
That means you can install either the 64-bit version OR the 32-bit version, but you cannot have them both installed at the same time. You must choose one or the other. If you want to install both you need to purchase another licence from Microsoft.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-vista-on-2-drives.1041606/
Relevancy 44.29%

puke:
OK, I'm making myself sick over this, so any help that can be provided will be greatly appreicated.

I've recently purchased two new Pioneer DVR-109 DVD Drives for my computer. There originally was a Dell factory installed DVD Rom on D and a DVD+RW drive on E. I first replaced the D drive and restarted and everything was fine. After that was successful, I replaced the E Drive. After installing, I booted up the system and got this message before the Windows screen:

Drive 5 Not Found Parallel ATA PATA-1 (PRI IDE SLAVE)

Not really sure what to do at this point. The pins on the back of both new drives are currently set to CS (as they were on the other two drives). Someone had mentioned that I simply had to reset my BIOS, but I'm not that sure on how to do that.

Thanks up front for any help,

Scott

A:Installing new DVD Drives and getting stumped.......

Probably should have mentioned that I'm dealing with a Dell Dimension 8400. I'm new to this so tell me if I should be including any addtional info.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-new-dvd-drives-and-getting-stumped.30578/
Relevancy 44.29%

When I try and install Windows 7 64-bit on my hard drives I get the fallowing error.

Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the Setup log files for more information.

Its doing this with vista now.

A:7 Not installing on any hard drives.

What other OS's are installed? Logical and/or primary partitions?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/8567-7-not-installing-any-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 44.29%

i have 2 HD's, one that i have and one from a friend. the one that i have is the master and of course boots first. but when i set the one my friend gave me to slave it still botts first and says DISK BOOK FAILURE. can someone please help me? thanks :hotbounce :hotbounce

A:Installing 2 hard drives

set the drive you want to boot first in the bios

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-2-hard-drives.20242/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello my computer just crashed today and it said that the hard drive failed The drive that was in there was a Samsung SV N I then ran to Staples and bought a new hard drive the Staples guy said was universal The hard drive I bought was called hard drives?? Installing Maxtor It says quot SATA ULTRA Installing hard drives?? SERIES - GB - Serial ATA quot on the box I first had a problem removing the hard drive from my Compaq Presario S NX It seems as though the cables attached already attached to the master drive are glued or something so i cant get the drive out Second I looked at the cables in the old drive and the plug slots in the new drive an it doesn t appear it would fit even if i got the wires out So I need help on how to remove the old hard drive and if indeed i bought the right new hard drive and how to install the new one If i bought the wrong hard drive please tell me which one to buy Thank You nbsp

A:Installing hard drives??

You need to return the SATA drive and tell the Staples guy that you need a non SATA drive often just called an IDE drive (or P-ATA) Perhaps he will learn something by this! This is why the cables don't match. You need to pull or "wiggle" the cable connector off the old hard drive, being careful not to bend any of the connector pins on the drive. Take a look at the jumper settings (small plastic clips covering some metal pins at the back of the drive -- sorry not at home to include the usual picture). Set the new drive the same way, which will either be the master or cable select setting.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-hard-drives.409590/
Relevancy 44.29%

I'm having a lil problem installing two hard drives on my computer. I tried installing them and nothing. I can install one but can't seem to install two cd/dvd hard drive. Can anyone help?

Relevancy 44.29%

Hi I will try to explain my situation as clearly as possible I had an old trial version from of Alcohol I had virtual drives there E and G F is my internal HD-DVD drive The trial expired and I uninstalled it without removing virtual drives I managed to get rid of the useless drives letters Then changed my internal drive's letter to E by now I reversed it to F I installed free version of Alcohol and when I m trying to install virtual drives they simply not appearing anywhere In options it says that I should have virtual drives but they do not exist I ve tried this solution posted on Alcohol forum Quote Please uninstall any Alcohol version you may have on your system if you are unable to do it normally just browse to Alcohol folder and delete all files and then uninstall SPTD layer To uninstall SPTD Layer drivers you will need to use SPTD installer uninstaller you can download it at following link http duplexsecure com downloads After uninstalling it please restart Help! installing Please Virtual not Drives Windows Now please run regedit exe then browse to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services and delete sptd key you may need to adjust cfg key permissions to delete it Also please browse to c WINDOWS system drivers and delete sptd sys file Restart Windows Now reinstall latest version of SPTD layer driver using the installer uninstaller you Please Help! Virtual Drives not installing downloaded from DuplexSecure site then restart Windows again and now reinstall Alcohol but it didn t help at all I've also tried to install Daemon Tools but again it didn t manage to create any virtual drives I tried setting the virtual drives to zero and then deinstall Alcohol and then reinstall Alcohol with one virtual drive Still no virtual drives I also managed to remove virtual drives entries in HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM ControlSet Enum SCSI by booting from CD with reg edit Didn t help either Any suggestions as to where the source of the problem can be Is it a hardware or registry issue I would be grateful if someone could show me the way so that I can fix this issue cos its quite frustrating as i need at least one virtual drive Any help would be appreciated

A:Please Help! Virtual Drives not installing

I thought sptd.sys was a daemon driver?

Given the number of changes already made to your system, I think a re-install of Vista is the only way out of this.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/please-help-virtual-drives-not-installing-419704.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I just got a new plextor PX 708-A DVD/CD writer. I did have a lite on DVD Rom Drive and a Samsung CD-RW. I installed the new drive as master, like it said ,and the DVD ROM as slave. I was used to copying CD's by using my 2 older drives...they are a yr old. This won't let me do that. I have to use the Plextor as both the source and the destination drive. Is there a way I could connect my other 2 drives as well and use them together. Before the DVD drive was CS and the other was slave. Thanks for any help.
Ruth

Relevancy 44.29%

I have one CD drive installed on my PC, but when I go into My Computer it shows three. The first is an Asus which is installed, the other two are AXV DVD/CD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device and Image Simulation CdRom Device.

What's more perplexing is that I have no SCSI controller let alone devices installed inside my PC. I go into device manager and uninstall these devices, but they show up every time I reboot.

Any ideas how to get rid of them so they stay gone?

A:Why does my PC keep installing drives I don't have installed?

It sounds to me as though you have a VIRTUAL CD(or two) installed. These allow you to copy a CD image to disk and run it from there as if it was a real CD.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/why-does-my-pc-keep-installing-drives-i-dont-have-installed.167964/
Relevancy 44.29%

I've installed a new disc drive. One is a regular dvd/r (original) and the new one is a dvd dual layer burner. When I plug both up via power and ribbon (term?) they're both not in My Computer. If I plug them in each on their own...they both show up fine. The problem is only when both are plugged in to the mobo at the same time then neither show up. What gives? This is on a Windows 7 machine if that matters. Let me know if there's anything else I can give to help you out. Thanks in advance for any help!

A:DVD drives gone after installing new DVD drive

What type of drives, IDE or SATA?

PATA= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA

SATA= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

I assume they are PATA drives, in which case, the drive connected to the middle connector of the cable should be jumpered as Slave, and the drive connected to the end connector should be jumpered as Master.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-drives-gone-after-installing-new-dvd-drive.1013274/
Relevancy 44.29%

Never done this before, but I just bought a new computer and want to go ahead and put in my old 3.5 floppy and another cd-rw drive.

im taking the two drives from an hp pavillion, a simple 533mhz processor, and putting them into a new compaq, 2.6ghz processor computer.

so, the two parts of my question are this:

- can I simply unhook the two old drives from my computer and plug them into my new computer without any kind of cd program/driver program/software? will the computer automatically recognize these drives?

- second, my 3.5 floppy is not as wide as the really wide spaces alloted in my new computer. It should still be able to go in, though, right?
this second question might be too much to ask, you dont know what the tower of my new comp looks like.

whatever help i can get, thanks.

A:Installing drives from old computer

Your new computer should automatically recognise the drives. You will need to ensure that the jumper settings are correct for the CD drive and it is set up as master or slave, depending on which IDE channel you put it on and whether there is anything else already connected to that channel in your new computer. In your new computer I am assuming you already have a hard drive with windows on it. Will you be connecting the cd drive to the same channel/cable as this hard drive? In which case the cd drive becomes a 'slave' drive. Or will you be connecting it to the other channel? If there's nothing on the the other channel then it will be the 'master' drive on that channel. If you only have one hard drive in your new computer and you will only be adding this one extra cd drive then put it on the seperate channel to the hard drive and set it as the master drive.
Floppy drives are all the same size. From your description it sounds like you are looking at a large sized 5" drive bay (CD drive size) on your new computer, when floppy drives go into smaller 3.5" drive bays. The smaller bays are usually beneath the larger bays. Your case may not have an external (showing) 3.5" drive bay, in which case if you wanted to connect a floppy you'd have to buy a reducing plate to fit it into the larger 5" drive bay.
If this is not the case then you'll need to describe your case in further detail.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-drives-from-old-computer.301699/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi good people.

Question with installing an Ultra ATA hardrive into a computer that already has a Serial ATA hardrive as the main drive with the OS. I understand that they have different connectors.

I have gone into the Bios and made sure IDE Configuration was set to enabled.

When i boot up, there is no other harddrive. The Ultra ATA drive does not show.

Can someone help me trouble shoot this. I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

O

A:Help with Installing two hard drives

Here is a picture of my motherboard.

Any suggestions would be great!

o

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/120915-help-installing-two-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello I just joined the forum in account that I cant find any information on the topic of installing multiple cdrom drives. I have just switched my fathers Sohw-1633 dvdburner with my Ltr.52327s cdburner. Now we bowth have 2 drives in our computers and we bowth have the same problem. The problem is that bowth the drives seem to be combined into one and the name is put together also its weird i think its because they use the one wire. I was wondering what program or method I need to use the fix this. Anyhelp would be cool. if you have a link to a page with this information plz post.

A:Installing Multiple Cd Rom Drives(more than one)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Have you set the jumpers correctly on the rear of the drives properly?

I.E the Dvd drive should be set as master and the Cd drive should be set as slave.

Then the long end of the IDE cable should be inserted into the secondary IDE slot on the mobo. The other end of the cable should go to the Dvd drive and the connector that is part the way down from that should be connected to the Cd drive.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-multiple-cd-rom-drives-more-than-one.20870/
Relevancy 44.29%

ok, i just bought another hard drive and now, i have 3 hard drives and since my computer can hold up to 5, how do i install my 3rd hard drive? my ide cable can only plug in 2, master and slave, so how can i install my 3rd HD? thanks

Relevancy 43.43%

Hi everyone--hope someone can help me with this one.

I've read the posts below on installing old hard drives in new computers, but they seemed to apply to desktops. I've got my hard drives from two old laptops; I'd like to know if I can use them on my new laptop. I've no real reason to access them, but it would be nice to be sure there is nothing I really want (the laptops with which they were associated died prematurely). I read something about changing master and slave jumpers, but I don't know how to change that, and I wasn't sure whether it was even possible or advisable to try this.

Alternatively, is there an external advice I can use to access these drives?

thanks.
-dave

A:Installing old hard drives in laptops

:wave: Hello & Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

Unfortunately, what you ask is not as easy as it sounds... Desktops are built to be easily modified with different parts of the shelf, whereas the notebooks are also modular, they often have different specifications for how things are connected...

It is possible to do what you ask, but it will require dismantling much more than you'd have to with desktops and might very well break your warranty.

Keep unpacking until you get down to a 2.5 disk, which looks (more or less) like a normal harddrive). Now you have to put that into a "container" with the correct connections for your notebook.

OR,

if you have a desktop handy, you should be able to connect them to that and check out the contents that way. It'll greatly reduce any risk of you doing something wrong with your notebook and is definately the way I'd do it...

Hope this helps

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-old-hard-drives-in-laptops.26474/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have a Inspiron 1720. Vista came pre-installed on the laptop. After formatting a brand new drive and installing the OS with the original Dell DVD it starts to boot normally but so quickly I can't read it a BSOD appears. The memory passes the Dell diagnositics test.
The old hard drive was toast.

It also cannot access Safe Mode. The same BSOD screen appears to quickly to read the error.

Any thoughts on how I can install Vista successfully would be appreciated.

A:Vista hangs after installing it on two different drives

Hi try booting from the disc and run a repair http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.html and see if you can then boot normally

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-hangs-after-installing-it-on-two-different-drives.871826/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have a xw8600  with a 250 GB SSD as the boot drive, and two 240 GB 7200 rpm SATA data drives.  Is it possible to add a 600 GB 15K rpm SAS drive to this system?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Installing-SAS-HDD-in-xw8600-with-SSD-and-SATA-Drives/td-p/5699462
Relevancy 43.43%

Ok Im New To This Site and im not a pro at computers neither ok...
So heres my question: I tried to install win 7 on My Computer (XP) and i get this error message >No drives were found click load driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation<... So.... i read a couple of forums and still couldnt figure it out. This is what my boot settings say>

-Atapi cd-rom [optiarc DvD RW ad-71]
-Removable device [Disabled]
-Ide Hard Drive [Maxtor 7Y250P0]
-Other Boot Device [Disabled]

Computer
-Intel(R)
-Pentium(R) 4 Cpu 2.80 GHz
-2.81GHz 1.50GB Of Ram

Sorry if i gave to much or not enough info..... if theres missing anything just tell me
Thank You For Youre Time

A:[SOLVED] Help Installing Win 7 Not Reconizing My Drives...

You may need to update your Intel board drivers -

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...eng&iid=dc_rss

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-help-installing-win-7-not-reconizing-my-drives-496580.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi, my name is Gina and I'm new here. I am a student and built my computer mainly for Graphic Design, and for light gaming. I mainly use the Adobe Suite. In short, I have a C: Drive with only a 150 GB but it is 10000 rpm mainly for my OS and some programs (please view my specs) and second drive with 1.5 TB that I use for most of my programs, files, music, etc. This has worked great for me except that now I have a TON of fonts. It would take up so much space to install about 5 GB of fonts onto my C: Drive, but I can't think of another way, since the font installer is in control panel. Right now I haven't even attempted at bringing the fonts onto my C: Drive. I am hoping there is a way around it. Thanks so much.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/280629-please-help-hard-drives-installing-fonts.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi everybody I bought a new computer last week which is running windows bit TB HD I wanted to install old sata to new installing PC Problem drives my old sata drives from my old XP box which worked fine previously I put the first one in and it worked fine Then i shut down the machine and added the second one As soon as i turned the power back on the second one it blew with smoke I Problem installing old sata drives to new PC quickly turned off the power and took the second one out I then turned the PC on again and the first one that was working fine also blew with smoke so i took that out The PC is working fine now but both of my sata drives are now US one was main other was backup I am really concerned as to why these drives blew The PC is very different from my old one and the power supply is watts rather than watts but i didn t think this a problem I m now wondering why this happened and whether i can ever put another hard drive in this box Plesae can someone help and offer some expert advice - what could be the reason for this thanks x nbsp

A:Problem installing old sata drives to new PC

I cannot think of a reason, unless you have a modular power supply that has connectors keyed so the cables can be plugged into the wrong connectors (like mine that blew up a hard drive). What is the manufacturer and model for your power supply?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-installing-old-sata-drives-to-new-pc.1027709/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi Guys, I'm trying to install XP and 7 on two different hard drives on my desktop. The system specs I have are from my laptop not dekstop. I have two Western Digital SATA Hard Drives in my desktop. One is 500gb and the other one is 250 gb. I want to install XP on the 250gb hard drive since its pretty old and just use it to install all the programs and the 500gb hard drive for Windows 7. So how do I go about doing that? I know I have to partition my hard drives first and how do I go about adding it in the boot menu?

Thank You

A:Installing OS on two Internal Hard Drives

First check for all the Win XP drivers for your hardware on the manufacturer's web site.
If your Win XP CD, does not support your Sata Controller, you will need to load drivers to uses at F6.
Load Sata Controller drivers with a floppy disk is the best way.
SATA Drivers - Load in Windows XP Setup on Dual Boot
OR
SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD

Than folllow Method Two in this tutorial:
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/189765-installing-os-two-internal-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 43.43%

At the moment I have a 160 GB Hard drive on my pc. I recently bought a new 1 TB one. I would like to keep both of the hard drives but i can only find 2 Sata connectors on my motherboard once of which goes to my Dvd Rom. I always assumed all pc's had additional connectors to add a second hard drive. My motherboard is Biostar G41d3c Does this mean I won't be able to keep both of the Hard drives or am i horribly missing something . I'm pretty retarded when it comes to computers so help appreciated. Thanks

Oh and if it is impossible for me to keep both harddiscs how exactly are you supposed to replace it and transfer everything from your previous hard drive to the new one. Some sort of guide would be a big help.

A:Solved: Installing 2 Hard Drives

If you haven't got a bay for extra hd you'll have to get an ex hd caddy and use it like that.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-installing-2-hard-drives.1069626/
Relevancy 43.43%

I recently purchased a SSD since my HDD just painfully slow. However, I was wondering since I have the recovery CD for vista, can I install vista onto my new SSD and also use my vista on the old HDD? In other words, interchange hard drives? both will have the same OEM CD key and since that CD KEY is linked to the motherboard, shouldn't it be ok? This is different from duel booting since its the same key.

If you're wondering why I'm doing this the new SSD doesn't have as much space as the HDD so I want to keep there.

A:Installing Vista in two hard drives

Originally Posted by Deviatorz

I recently purchased a SSD since my HDD just painfully slow. However, I was wondering since I have the recovery CD for vista, can I install vista onto my new SSD and also use my vista on the old HDD? In other words, interchange hard drives? both will have the same OEM CD key and since that CD KEY is linked to the motherboard, shouldn't it be ok? This is different from duel booting since its the same key.

If you're wondering why I'm doing this the new SSD doesn't have as much space as the HDD so I want to keep there.

Hello Deviatorz and welcome to the forums

I'm afraid this isn't possible, you'll have to wipe both drivers and do a clean install of Vista onto your SSD. Then when you come to install your programs, you have to specify them to install to your HDD. If you do what you planned to do, with your current set up, Windows won't know where your programs have gone. Sorry, I know it's a pain, but at least you'll get the benefit of the lightning fast boot times SSDs promise

Tom

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/296346-installing-vista-two-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I'm setting up a tower with these used parts I bought.
MB: ECS 741GX-M
Athlon 1.6GHZ
512MB
DVD+R Memorex 16x Burner
HD1: Western Digital 15GB
HD2: Barracuda 7200.7
HD3: Maxtor (3.5 Series) 300GB

What would be the "best way" to connect and configure the 3 hard drives and burner? I am not sure how to go about this. I was thinking of using the 15GB drive as the boot drive, and setting it to master. Please excuse my little knowledge, but then again, that's why I'm here! =)

Rose

Relevancy 43.43%

I have just received my new mobo, (Asus P4P800-X Socket 478) What I want to know is, is it possible to install 2 sata drives on to it. The reason I ask is that I have a lot of stuff on my old drive that I do not want to lose, so I was going to install a new HD and have that as the master and install my old drive as a slave. If it is possible how do I configuer them to be master and slave, any advice appreciated, Dojo

Relevancy 43.43%

windows 7 home premium 64 bit os.

windows installed the drivers correctly

and the drive was in manage disk to initialize, so I did. The 1st one I selected as GTP because that's what was recommended for drive over 2 TB. The problem is it shows the disk with a 764,308MB and won't let me increase it. Everything I've read says 3TB drives should be recognized right off in 7 64 bit.

Since I had 2 I tried the 2nd one initializing as a MBR and I got the same results.

Not finding anything that points me to how to eliminate the problem

Did not format them because of the incorrect capacity issue.

???????????????

A:problems installing 2 new wd 3tb green drives

You seem to have a motherboard named after your email address.

I suggest you go to your motherboard maker's web site and investigate an updated BIOS that is known to support drives above 2 TB. I know that Gigabyte, for one, requires an updated BIOS to support those extra large drives.

If you decide to change the BIOS, be careful. If it goes bad, you may have to replace the motherboard.

Don't change the BIOS unless you can independently confirm that your existing BIOS is the cause of your problem. That info might be at the motherboard manufacturer's website.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/145048-problems-installing-2-new-wd-3tb-green-drives.html
Relevancy 43.43%

My son s computer has two drives Trouble installing 2 XP hard on physical drives The C drive was running ME and was just a mess I wanted to install XP I have a full version When I did that it installed on the D drive and didn t give me a choice Now when booting up you can choose to go into XP D Trouble installing XP on 2 hard drives ME C or Install XP mode no idea why What I want to do now is to completely reformat both drives and start over But I cannot boot up to the dos prompt to get to the C drive And I m embarrassed to say I couldn t understand when I started the XP install whether to format the partition But it was only showing the D drive Can anyone either instruct me or guide me to where I can Trouble installing XP on 2 hard drives find instructions on how to do this I don t have a boot disk so need one But I thought I d be able to do this with the XP disk that s what I was told However if I can t get to the C drive I don t know what to do Also the newly created XP D drive doesn t recognize sound card etc Thanks so much Susan nbsp

A:Trouble installing XP on 2 hard drives

You do not need a boot disk, you boot the computer with the XP CD in the CD Drive. As long as the CD Drive is set in the BIOS to be above the HDD in the boot priority it will boot from the CD, giving you the options.

If it does not boot from the CD into the XP Install screen, then you need to go into the BIOS Setup at boot-up time and alter the boot options so the CD is above the HDD in the priority.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-installing-xp-on-2-hard-drives.222128/
Relevancy 43.43%

hello iam having trouble installing vista/win7 on my system.. P4 2.4ghz 1.5gb ddr2 ram 160gb SATA Hdd and 160 gb IDE Hdd SATA DVD-Rom.the problem is when i m trying to install vista/w7 through sata dvd rom with bothe STA and IDE Hdd attached to the system ,the installation process easily copy necessary windows files but after at that it freeze and the installation process stop working.but when i remove my IDE hdd the installation continues smoothly.i also trying jumper settings to make my IDE drive slave but nothing improves.i cant find what is the problem is...please help thank you my motherboard is of nicola with intel 945g chipset...

A:installing vista with SATA and IDE drives

SATA does not have master/slave configurations like IDE. Messing with the IDE jumpers shouldn't do anything, especially as there would only be one drive on that one ATA channel.

I would suggest unplugging all drives expect the one you want to install the Operating System onto. Complete the installation and then attach the IDE drive again.

You will need to make sure that the boot order in your BIOS boots from the SATA drive first, instead of attempting to boot from the IDE drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/installing-vista-with-sata-and-ide-drives-595387.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Ok my system now as is C gig HD running windows D gig HD empty E x gig RAID striped with mostly games etc on it I am trying to arrange the system so that the RAID drives are C and run windows I dont have a problem re-installing most of the other programs so that they have the correct path names etc XP installing on Problem RAID drives I tried installing XP on the RAID drives push F and loaded the raid drivers it found the partition and proceded to copy the files On reboot however it crashes saying something about windows system is corrupt and to run the repair console I've done that a few times to no avail I was even curious about the install CD so I installed it to D and had no problems booting Problem installing XP on RAID drives up there Anyone have any Ideas I know I could probably reformat and clean install but I'd rather not go through all of that Thanks for any input

A:Problem installing XP on RAID drives

Set your boot order in BIOS to CD forst then scsi (for RAID), when the files have been copied setup must boot to the new installation, if you dont have SCSI as the second active bootable device and 'any other' is set to enable it will boot to C:\ and cause no end of problems, ideally you should detach the drive already containing an OS unless you specifically want a dual boot system.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-installing-xp-on-raid-drives-11168.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I needs some help guys. I'm put together the system below and I'm trying to install Windows XP Pro and the Sata drives (from a floopy), when I get the blue screen that says to press F6, I press it but it doesn't do anything, then it says to press F2 for Windows automated system recovery disk and it does work, it then asks me for the floopy for this, (of course I don't need this option) but when I try the F6, it doesn't work. I've tried a couple of keyboards.

Any way around this?

Please help.

Asus A8N Sli Deluxe
AMD Athlon 3500 Winchester
1 WD Sata Raptor HD 74GB (10,000RPM)
1 DVD+/-RW Sata Plextor Drive
1 VGA Asus EN6600GT 128mb
2x512 Dual DDR PC3200xlpro Corsair Memory
Logitech THX Z-2300 3PC Speaker
Logitech Dinovo Kyb/Mouse
Navigator Case (500W PS)
XP-90 Thermalright HS/Fan

A:Problem Installing Sata Drives Win XP

DOH

OK, make sure legacy USB support is ON in the BIOS

This will probably be the only way you'll get that kb/mouse to function until XP's installer can get its own kb/mouse/USB drivers loaded.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-installing-sata-drives-win-xp-35297.html
Relevancy 43.43%

My setup:

Alienware m9700 laptop.

AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Processor (800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache)
Nvidia Mobile SLI Chipset
2GB of DDR SDRAM at 400MHz

Dual Graphics Cards
512MB Nvidia GeForce Go 7900 GS
SLI ENABLED

Dual Hard Drives in RAID 0
5400 RPM - Up to 500GB (2 x 250GB)
It came installed with Vista, but there are no drivers that wil make the dual graphics cards function, so i have decided to install xp.

I have been told i need to install Raid drivers as part of the process of installing xp.

I know nothing about raid and dont even know what drivers i am looking for.

I have an external floppy drive.

Can anyone tell me where i might get the raid drivers and advise me how to use them please?

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-xp-on-a-laptop-with-raid-drives.599970/
Relevancy 43.43%

i am reinstalling windows on a new partition of a new drive and I have several harddrives. when I boot from the windows xp setup cd and it lists all the drives, the one i want to install windows on is currently listed as drive G, but I want it to become drive C. If I just select to install on drive G will it change it to drive C? or do i have to do the thing where I unplug all the drives except the one I want and do the install and then plug the other ones back in afterwards?

(i'm reinstalling bc i tried it before and windows ended up on the current drive G, which used to be drive J bc I forgot to unplug some usb devices..)

hope that made sense!

A:installing xp on system with multiple drives

You can rename the drive from my competer & click on the drive you want to rename

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-xp-on-system-with-multiple-drives.801423/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have a problem where when I try to install a virtual drive, such as Alcohol 120%, I receive the error messages below. If anyone experienced the same problem or something similar, or if you have a solution please reply. I am running on WinXP Home SP2.

A:Error from installing virtual drives

1. Download sptdinst_x86.exe
2. boot in safe mode
3. run SPTDinst remove
4. run SPTDinst add
5. boot in normal mode
6. Install

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/error-from-installing-virtual-drives-116044.html
Relevancy 43.43%

hello guys I have a P Socket CPU with W Power supply I have old harddrives GB each I wanna use them on this CPU Now the complications are with 2 hard-drives installing complications that I do not installing 2 hard-drives with complications have any extra data cables those wide skinny white with many installing 2 hard-drives with complications cables running through them or any Power Cables usually yellow and red with pin sockets because they are being used by my CD writer DVD drive and DVD writer and of course the current GB harddrive Now i am not sure these hardrives even work so b i go out and get a bigger power supply i wanna test these So would it be safe to unplug the CD writer or any other drives and plug the harddrives in its place to test it also i don t know once i have the hardrive physically installed how to format it etc i know how to get to the disk or computer management window but wat do i do there finally if these two hardrives do work then i ll go and get a power supply and i ll need help installing that too thanks nbsp

Relevancy 43.43%

HI

Currently have 2 sata drives set in RAID 1.

Have 2 hd's comming and want to know the best way to make the switch.

I dont have any software like Ghost, so if it can be done through Windows great.

Anyway, any directions would be very apprieciated.

A:Installing New Drives....need to transfer data, help please

Hi,

Look on the web site of the manufacturer of your new SATA drives. Most HD manufacturers have this sort of software available on their download section.

hth

ceri

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-new-drives-need-to-transfer-data-help-please.311258/
Relevancy 43.43%

Computer specs Dell Studio XPS t desktop purchased in Win Home Premium SP bit OEM Intel i CPU GHz Ghz GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTS not sure of motherboard or power supply but can check but will have to shut it down which I can't do since I'm typing here My sad story In June last year started getting warnings from computer that hard drive was failing Desktop came with installing [SOLVED] new BSOD drives after GB and TB drives I purchased two TB drives cloned the failing C GB drive to one of the new TB drives and installed both into the [SOLVED] BSOD after installing new drives desktop Used computer lots for video editing In November started getting BSOD while editing video in Adobe PE Within days could not boot computer w o BSOD even in safe mode When booting in safe mode would hang right after CLASSPNP SYS was loaded After much experimentation found that if I removed both TB drives and installed old TB drive as boot HD cloned it to match old GB drive then I could use computer I've been using the TB drives externally since then Recently tried to install a different TB drive in spare bay but immediately got BSOD My recent reading on the problem indicates that maybe I should not have used a TB drive for boot however I had formatted it as a boot drive and it seemed to work fine for a while Zip file is attached Am really hoping you can help running out of ideas Angela

A:[SOLVED] BSOD after installing new drives

Hi Angela,

The attached DMP file is of the KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1e) bug check.

This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

Code:

2: kd> .exr 0xfffff88003071838
ExceptionAddress: fffff88000e05180 (vidsflt+0x0000000000005180)
ExceptionCode: c0000005 (Access violation)
vidsflt.sys (Acronis Virtual Disk driver for the Virtual Disk Storage Filter) caused an access violation.

---------------

1. Acronis is known to cause conflicts and cause issues, so I would go ahead and remove it, especially since we see it causing an access violation (at least for troubleshooting purposes).

2. I see various Norton remnants, so please remove and replace Norton with Microsoft Security Essentials for temporary troubleshooting purposes:

Norton removal - https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us;jsessionid=841A6D40BA6872C47697C6C6B19C8E11.4?entsrc=redirect_pubweb&pvid=f-home

MSE - Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

Regards,

Patrick

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/solved-bsod-after-installing-new-drives-799922.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello.
I am considering installing 2 new harddrives.
1.Agility 3 OCZ Solid State Drive 120gb
2.Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB 7200 rpm

I am currently on a WDC WD3200JD-22KLB0 320gb

Both the new harddrives are sata3,6gb/sec

Can I use both new drives,with no reduction in performance ?
Mainly for online gaming.

A:Installing new drives in HP Compaq dc7600

In a word... Yes, are you going to set the 2 drives in a RAID array?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-new-drives-in-hp-compaq-dc7600.186404/
Relevancy 43.43%

Let me say first that I am not dual booting. I have a 250gb Internal SATA drive, and a 800gb internal SATA drive. Both hooked up and ready to go.

What I want to do, and am unsure if it's possible, is to install Windows 7 64bit on the 250gb drive, and thats IT. I want to boot from that drive, but everything else I want to go onto the 800gb drive.

I haven't done this yet... but I get the feeling that if I were, when it boots from the 250, things that I download and install would always try and add themselves there. And I dread of having to manually move downloaded files and redirect installed programs every time.

Any help Seven forums?

A:Installing on one of two internal hard drives

Hello Rokku, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Right after you do a clean install of Windows 7 to your 250GB drive, and before installing anything else, you could use the tutorial below to change the default location of both the C:\Program Files (x86)and C:\Program Filesfolders to be on the 800GB drive by default instead.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-installs.html

These may help with this as well.

User Profile - Change Default Location

or

User Folders - Change Default Location

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/149042-installing-one-two-internal-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I currently have a 320 gb hard drive and i'm looking into buying a new 750 gb drive. I have a lot of data saved on my 320 gb drive and want to keep it. My question is, if i was to install the new 750 gb drive and set it as my master drive, and set my 320 gb as a slave, could i simply transfer the data from my old hard drive to my new one after the 2 drives are installed?

Relevancy 43.43%

Hey everyone I just recently completed building my first computer with the purpose of doing some awesome gaming The specs are GIGABYTE GA-P -DS L S L Motherboard Intel Core Quad Ghz Processor EVGA GeForce GTS MB Video Card GB x G-Skill XP Help drives SATA on installing with [SOLVED] RAM Samsung GB RPM SATA HDD and WD Raptor GB SATA HDD Sony IDE DVD Drive and [SOLVED] Help with installing XP on SATA drives Pioneer IDE DVD Burner Corsair W Power Supply Antec ATX Mini-Tower Case Concerning the two HDDs a friend recommended that I install Windows on the faster Raptor so that it would run faster The only problem I have now is with installing Win XP Every time I try to install it I get that blue STOP x B xF D xC x x error screen I understand from various forums that this seems to happen because I'm trying to install Win XP on a SATA HDD It seems the solution everyone recommends is to integrate the necessary drivers into the installation CD but I'm still getting the screen Right now I'm integrating the Win XP SATA driver for the Raptor from the WD website but that doesn't seem to be working Am I missing a driver is a setting wrong in the BIOS or what I don't have a floppy drive so what could other options be to solve this problem Thanks for your help

A:[SOLVED] Help with installing XP on SATA drives

Hi Zento and welcome to TSF !

XP needs the driver for the SATA controller, which is related to your motherboard not to your hard drive.

Download the chipset drivers from this page and extract them somewhere :
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=2629

Then follow this guide to use nLite to slipstream the needed drivers on the XP CD :
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-installation/

Normally for you SATA drive to be recognized, you should only need the ich9*.* files under INFUpdate\all\ but while you're at it (and to make sure that all the needed drivers will be on the disk) you can integrate all the drivers that are under INFUpdate\all\. XP will pick the right ones automatically.

Another solution would be to borrow some friend's floppy drive, install it in your computer temporarily, copy the content of the INFUpdate\all\ folder on a floppy and press F6 when prompted to load the RAID/SATA drivers during the installation.

It's indeed a good idea to keep the 10.000rpm Raptor for the system. Make sure to create a small partition for the page file at the beginning of the 750GB Samsung drive to optimize your performances, a 3GB partition for a 2GB page file for instance. You can read this if you wish to know more about optimizing the partition layout of your drives.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-help-with-installing-xp-on-sata-drives-235236.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi All First of all I m somewhat of a novice when it comes to hardware My system Pentium Win gig Seagate harddrive original Trying to install as a second drive a gig Western Digital HD given to me by my brother It has Win on it and all the programs files he had on it I tried installing both drives st with the old gig HD as slave and the new HD as master but neither drive was recognized when I booted up two Problem drives hard installing I then tried switching the two making the new one the slave and the old one the master still would not recognize either even when I went Problem installing two hard drives into bios and auto-detected I had the jumpers set corectly for both After trying several combinations I removed the new larger drive and changed back to my original configuration and Problem installing two hard drives no Hd was detected - I started to sweat then I had to go into the bios and auto detect the original drive and was able to boot upp normally Must the HDs be connected in series on the main cable If so which one master or slave goes on the end connector and which goes on the middle connector Should I try setting both as stand-alone drives or both as master Will my bios support both Do I have to reformat one of the drives Thank you for any help you can provide amp thank you for forgiving my ignorance Larry nbsp

A:Problem installing two hard drives

Hi Larry,

If you have the drives jumpered correctly, it doesn't matter which position on the cable.
Have you tried the 8.4 by itself as master? On a Western Digital there should be no jumper at all if its the only drive. Try that and see if you get an error message on boot. Then try booting to a startup floppy and see if you can access the drive. Try using the FDISK program (just to see if it recognizes the drive.
p.s. What bios does your system have and what date was it issued?

[This message has been edited by ETS (edited 02-01-2001).]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-installing-two-hard-drives.35118/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi all,

It's looking like I have to re-install C+XP Pro SP2. I have never installed XP Pro SP2 before myself on SATA drives - I know that you used to have to get the hard disc drivers from somewhere first so you could use them in the set up process. I've never done this either!

Is this still an issue with XP SP2 (I have a full install Windows XP Pro SP2 CD).

If so, could someone outline the details for me or point me in the right direction web wise.

Many thanks.
Steve

A:Clean Installing XP Pro SP2 on SATA drives

steve you need to first determine the manufacturer sata controller and get the drivers....once you do that load those files onto a floppy. hit F6 during installation when prompted if additional drivers are necessary, it'll ask you to load the floppy and hit enter....that should get you going!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/clean-installing-xp-pro-sp2-on-sata-drives.445388/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have just bought an 80gb USB External Hard Drive & am wondering if it needs it's own driver & what sort ? ... also if I need to install software for Arcsoft Photo Studio to work on jpegs within it & whether my file names would need to be changed on the new Hard Drive, & if any other software is needed like True Image or Drive Image for backups ?.

I know nothing about using them & wondered if there is any advice available on-line ?
Thanking you,
Yvonne

Relevancy 43.43%

Hi I will try to explain my situation as clearly as possible System Vista I had an old trial version from of Alcohol I had virtual drives there E Drives Virtual installing not Please Solved: Help! and G F is my internal HD-DVD drive Solved: Please Help! Virtual Drives not installing The trial expired and I uninstalled it without removing virtual drives I managed to get rid of the useless drives letters Then changed my internal drive s letter to E by now Solved: Please Help! Virtual Drives not installing I reversed it to F I installed free version of Alcohol and when I m trying to install virtual drives they simply not appearing anywhere In options it says that I should have virtual drives but they do not exist I ve tried this solution posted on Alcohol forum Please uninstall any Alcohol version you may have on your system if you are unable to do it normally just browse to Alcohol folder and delete all files and then uninstall SPTD layer To uninstall SPTD Layer drivers you will need to use SPTD installer uninstaller you can download it at following link http duplexsecure com downloads After uninstalling it please restart Windows Now please run regedit exe then browse to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services and delete sptd key you may need to adjust cfg key permissions to delete it Also please browse to c WINDOWS system drivers and delete sptd sys file Restart Windows Now reinstall latest version of SPTD layer driver using the installer uninstaller you downloaded from DuplexSecure site then restart Windows again and now reinstall Alcohol Click to expand but it didn t help at all I ve also tried to install Daemon Tools but again it didn t manage to create any virtual drives I tried setting the virtual drives to zero and then deinstall Alcohol and then reinstall Alcohol with one virtual drive Still no virtual drives I also managed to remove virtual drives entries in HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM ControlSet Enum SCSI by booting from CD with reg edit Didn t help either Any suggestions as to where the source of the problem can be Is it a hardware or registry issue I would be grateful if someone could show me the way so that I can fix this issue cos its quite frustrating as i need at least one virtual drive Any help would be appreciated nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-please-help-virtual-drives-not-installing.866099/
Relevancy 43.43%

OK, i'm pretty sure you guys have probably heard this question: I want to re-install XP, I have a RAID 0 setup, it's a Dell XPS Gen3. So I go to the resource CD and get the driver and then reboot to CD....the screen comes up and i hit F6, select S to put in the files...they seem to load up there is IASTOR.cat, oem, sys, etc. and then it asked if there is anything else, I just hit ENTER to start the XP setup and then it says it still does not recognize the hard drives......I know the hard drives are there and works, but this F6 didn't work like I read it might....now, do i need something else other than these files??? I am pretty new at this stuff, so any help would be appreciated! Thank you

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-with-hard-drives-and-re-installing-xp.18567/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have two hard drives currently in my PC and am looking to add a third. Only problem is, I need some help figuring out how to hook up the third so that it runs with the other two. I need to know what cables I need to get all three running at the same time.

Relevancy 43.43%

Hi all I ve this habit of installing softwares on different drives The OS goes into C drive Any other softwares that are from trustworthy sources goes into C sense? makes drives in s/ws installing different Does drive along with the OS I then install all the games other softwares from not so trustworthy sources or any new programs I m trying like a typing tutor in D drive I keep E drive for storage purpose This is my arrangement for my computer and on all of my friends computers on which I installed the Windows I thought it would help keep the OS safe and reinstalling or upgrading would be easy and I don t have to reinstall all the softwares I installed Am I right in that What are these dll files For any software I installed whether in C drive or D drive there seems to be a dll file in the C drive Does it really matter where I install the softwares apart from the OS or does having a seperate drive usually D drive for installing rd party softwares makes any sense Do I really have to install all the softwares installed on D drive again if I format and reinstall OS in C drive nbsp

A:Does installing s/ws in different drives makes sense?

My preference is to install programs on C and use other drives for data.
In that case, an image or reinstall only requires that you format and reinstall to C. Your data remains intact.
It doesn't matter where you install programs, except in the scenario above;i.e., you'll need to reinstall every program on other drives if you reinstall the OS.
DLLs are Dynamic link library files required to make the OS function:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic-link_library

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/does-installing-s-ws-in-different-drives-makes-sense.693768/
Relevancy 43%

I have three optical drives two internal Sony Toshiba and one USB external Sony All three drives worked flawlessly under Vista Vista SP and Vista SP After installing Windows none of the three optical drives appear under quot Computer quot The drives are recognized in my system BIOS And my IDE controller acknowledges the drives on Boot Windows sees the drives in the Device Manager but puts the yellow icon next to each Details for each drive say the same thing the drive quot has been disabled because of compatibility issues with Windows Code quot Driver details for each say the same thing quot up to date quot I tried Optical Not Installing - Drives After Win7 Appearing updating the drivers After Installing Win7 - Optical Drives Not Appearing anyway and there was no change I After Installing Win7 - Optical Drives Not Appearing tried uninstalling the drives and rebooting so the OS could reload the drivers and there was no change I tried running the troubleshooter and it could not After Installing Win7 - Optical Drives Not Appearing fix the problem saying the drives quot have plug and play issues quot Please help Thanks

A:After Installing Win7 - Optical Drives Not Appearing

Hey there amiable1.

Aside from checking with the manufacturers that those particular optical drives will work with 7, you could check out this thread as this member had a somewhat-related issue.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/34669-after-installing-win7-optical-drives-not-appearing.html
Relevancy 43%

Windows on Dell XPS Mid Service Tag DJ TX The computer currently has two drives a -gig mSATA which is blank and a TB mechanical drive on which Windows is installed I want to install Windows clean on the mSATA and make to install Installing show Solved: drives to W8, which no the TB a backup drive When booting from the original Dell-branded Windows DVD in the internal DVD drive the installation process starts and then presents a message that I need Solved: Installing W8, no drives show to which to install a special driver I have no clue about that driver and find no help on the Dell site Microsoft com says I have bad media I tried from another media a known-good and also original Dell DVD and same result I connected an external DVD drive to a USB port and booted from that The installation starts and then presents a message that there are no drives on the system Sure enough the window from which I am supposed to select a drive is empty This original Dell-branded W DVD is known to be good as I have used it several times to install on other Dell systems nbsp

A:Solved: Installing W8, no drives show to which to install

I have found the solution to my problem and am posting it here to help anyone else who has the same problem.

This next paragraph is just a rant if you want to skip it:
After spending 40 minutes with Dell's tech support attempting to overcome language barriers, sentences that are self-contradictory, repeating the same things, answering the same questions repeatedly because the guy doesn't understand or speak English well, repeating things in several ways in desperate attempts have the problem understood, being put on hold while the Dell tech consults with someone whose first language is English,

I finally got my solution here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/6dj7tx1/drivers/advanced?s=bsd

I downloaded the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver ( 2720_Serial-ATA_Driver_CJ2V8_WN_12.8.0.1016_A01.EXE ), decompressed it, placed it on CD as this computer will not read the USB ports when installing from the Dell-branded Windows 8 installation media. Once the driver was installed from the CD, I removed the CD, placed the Windows 8 installation disk back into the DVD drive and was able then to complete the installation of Windows 8.

I hope this helps someone else avoid the anguish.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-installing-w8-no-drives-show-to-which-to-install.1153541/
Relevancy 43%

Trying to install MagicDisc, and have also tried to install Daemon Tools. I am doing this because the external DVD-R/RW I bought will not install automatically on my HP Mini netbook. I tried to make a ISO of the installation CD, and run it through a Virtual Drive on the netbook, but even that doesn't work. I cannot assign drive letters, and all of the virtual drives say "driver up to date" or "cannot install device" .. but they all still have the Yellow Exclamation Point - so frustrating.. if I can't install an external optical drive or a virtual drive, I might as well use this Mini as target practice.

A:drivers not installing for optical or virtual drives

HP Mini 1000
Win XP SP3 - all updates

can't get my cell phone to install as a mass storage device
can't get my external dvd-r/rw to install
can't get virtual drives to install

when plugged in or setup(virtual), device manager sees the items and appropriately names them, however I get nothing but yellow exclamation point icons. when i try to update drivers, it says drivers are already up to date. when i try to go through new hardware config, it says windows cannot install the hardware. when i try to use virtual drives to mount an iso or uif image, it wont work, it says the selected drive has not been assigned a drive letter. when i try to assign the drive a letter, it doesnt take it, i hit ok and then it goes back to being unassigned

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/drivers-not-installing-for-optical-or-virtual-drives.1062347/
Relevancy 43%

Is this possible on a laptop? If yes how would one decide to boot from one or the other?

A:Installing two operating s on 2 seperate hard drives...

yes it is possible to do.

you will need a boot manager to switch between the different os's

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/235101-installing-two-operating-s-2-seperate-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 43%

I get to the 'where do you want to install windows?' window and theres no drive to select. i was tols by the re-seller that it would just plug in and go. any help please. thanks. previous drive was a western digital 500gb blue scorpian. bios list it as s-ata?

A:installing samsung 840 pro 128gb no drives found

Skinnier ssd wasn't interfacing properly so angled the ssd down and BOOM she lives

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/305456-installing-samsung-840-pro-128gb-no-drives-found.html
Relevancy 43%

ok, here is my problem. I don't have a cdrom or floppy drive on my laptop. I
currently have windows 2000 installed, but it has gotten old, buggy, and
needs formatting. Now i have transfered all the files from my windows xp cd
over to a second partition on my notebook pc. the first partition on the
laptop has windows 2000 on it, and it uses NTFS. The second partition has
the windows xp setup files and is formatted in Fat32. My question is, how
can i get the computer to boot from my D drive (the windows xp setup files),
so i can repartiion and format my C drive and wipe windows 2000 clean?? I
want to simulate booting from a cd, by using a partition instead. Is this
possible? what are my options? TIA

Relevancy 43%

I came here because I've been searching for at least hours and haven't seen a direct answer to my problem so if my problem turns out to be really noobish please do tell Okay I live in an area with frequent Installing Win7 64bit: in drives/partitions other black-outs and it makes a very risky place to live especially if your a quot System Drive C quot I recently lost Win7 64bit: Installing in other drives/partitions large chunks of my files and utilities thanks to a recent black-out even with my UPS plugged to my AVR They said this was okay in the shop XD So next week I'm upgrading to Win Ultimate bit but I purposely want to install some files on my other partitions like drive D so when I install the bit Win will it create the two quot program files quot on the other drives If not can I somehow do it manually and create two quot program file quot folders DO I really have to install in neither folders Like playing small time games in Documents for example The purpose for my installing on other drives is so that if a another freak black-out happens majority of my regularly used files will be on other drives and not be lost forever due to O S corruption like last time XD Since I'm pretty sure a lot of my apps are bit ready and the two folders are just for in case situations like apps that don't recognize bit dlls I need you guys cause the rest of the places I've looked have either missed the point of the questions asked completely or are too full of jargon

A:Win7 64bit: Installing in other drives/partitions

Hi,

There is an easier solution, and one that will work flawlessly : image your current system using Macrium. You can store this image on an external USB, and if required very easily restore this image back to your PC in around 15 to 20 minutes.

Imaging with free Macrium

Forget this double Program File stuff - even if it can be done, and thats very doubtful, its fraught with difficulty. Do yourself the biggest favour you can - read the tutorial and go the image route.

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/266398-win7-64bit-installing-other-drives-partitions.html
Relevancy 43%

Am planning or maybe I should say would like to install XP Pro and Vista on the same system each operating system on its own hard drive. Is there anyway to keep XP from seeing the second hard drive and claiming it as another partition ? What is taking place is when I connect my second sata hard drive to the motherboard XP See's it in disk management as a second hard drive but includes the size of my XP drive which is 250GB and includes it to the size of the second hard drive which is also 250GB thereby showing the size of the second hard drive in the neighbor hood of 480GB ? Have disabled raid in the bios but no help. Each drive in XP also has its own drive letter also.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-xp-vista-on-separate-hard-drives.716930/
Relevancy 43%

I have just fitted a second hard drive to my system.

Could someone tell me if I have correctly set it up.

It seems to be running OK, but when I try to burn a CD using Nero Burning with the DVD/CD/RW drive I get a message saying another application is using the burner, and the process is aborted.

I also find that the red light at the front of the PC for the hard drive, is on all the time.

I have connected the drives up like this:

Hard Drive 0 (Master) connected to Hard Drive 1 (Slave) to IDE 1.

DVD/CD/RW (Master) connected to CD/RW (Slave) to IDE 2

Thank you

Relevancy 43%

A client has a nbsp Dell T with a PERC S RAID controller running Windows R The system has two virtual disks a non-RAID drive C nbsp running the OS and a RAID drive E nbsp sharing data folders with the network We need to install new larger disks for the raid I thought that I could back up the data on the existing RAID drive E install the new disks build a new array in the S 's nbsp boot-time virtual disk manager VDM boot into the OS create the new partition and copy the data back This was not the case After installing the new disks and building the installing Reboot Loop Drives RAID new after new array which is reported as quot READY R W quot during boot nbsp Windows boots Reboot Loop after installing new RAID Drives all the way to quot Press CTRL-ALT DELETE to log on quot After two or three seconds the system reboots Reboot Loop after installing new RAID Drives The same thing happens when I try to boot into Safe Mode The system DOES NOT automatically boot to the Recovery Console It never seems to know that an error has occurred and that the system didn't shut down normally I've booted into the Recovery Console installed the drivers for the PERC S nbsp and run Startup Recovery to no avail Also in the Recovery Console I've nbsp run quot chkdsk E f quot remarkably the drive letter for the data drive remained the same and no errors were reported I've Reboot Loop after installing new RAID Drives also reinstalled the S drivers from the Recovery Console using DISM but that changed nothing I've booted to Windows nbsp PE installed the S drivers formatted the new virtual disk copied data to it and everything works fine The only problem is when I try to boot from the system drive which has no problems with the new disks installed When I put the old drives back in the system boots normally with no re-configuration needed The boot-time VDM automatically nbsp remembers the disks and the nbsp array Nothing shows up in the event logs indicating there was an error during the boot The boot log ntbtlog txt after several boots with the new drives in place indicates that the system reboots at different points during driver loading There is nothing consistent in the boot log to indicate what the problem is The only clue I can nbsp see is that during boot time the VDM reports the nbsp original virtual nbsp drive as quot NORMAL R W quot and the new virtual nbsp drive as quot READY R W quot but I'm not sure about the significance of that difference or if it suggests a solution I can't find any clues in any logs about what the problem may be If anybody has any suggestions I'll be grateful I'll be especially grateful for off-the-wall suggestions

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ed84bea3-4191-4604-a4b0-860af3f8acf7/reboot-loop-after-installing-new-raid-drives?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 43%

Hi,
I recently built a computer and installed Vista. I put in 2 Raptor Drives, and was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to have vista running on one of the drives and all of my software on the 2nd drive.
I would probably also have my temporary files on the 2nd drive, would it be better just to use the 2nd drive for temporary files and the 1st drive for all of my software?
Thanks!

A:Installing software on 2nd drive or multiple drives

It's really up to you and depends on the drive sizes to some degree. Having your system on one drive makes it easier to back up if you do occasional disk imaging. It may also prevent the drive from fragmenting as quickly.

If one or the other drive is lost, you lose all your programs either way, so you are, in a sense, doubling that possibility. By putting your system and programs on the same drive and making an image of it makes it certain that you can restore everything if need be.

I do a little of both. Most programs are installed on my main partition, but huge programs, like Encarta, are installed to a Program Files folder on a second partiton to save space and fragmentation on the first.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-software-on-2nd-drive-or-multiple-drives.617412/
Relevancy 43%

Hi, Do I have to consider anything about my Hard Drive when installing 2 SATA DVD Drives or is it completely separate from the hard drives matters?

Also, everyone says you only need one Psu Power Converter Cable for both drives, but how do you power 2 SATA DVD Drives with just one cable?

Heres a picture of my motherboard, and the sockets
A year ago the tech guys used 2 IDE dvd drives against my will, so the IDE/PATA connector is going
to my current 2 IDE dvd drives, and its a huge round cable.

Relevancy 43%

Hi, Before I install my New SATA DVD Drives, I currently have 2 IDE DVD Drives in use, Do I need to make any configurations in my BIOS since I'm changing from IDE/PATA to SATA. If there is please be specific.

Should I configure BIOS before or after I install them?

2 ASUS Quiet Track SATA DVD Drives on an ASUS M2N Deluxe 570SLI Mobo
Thanks

Relevancy 43%

Hello all and thanks for looking at this.

I recently upgraded my PC from 2000 to XP and I have a PCI card adapter for two IDE hard drives.

I had these drives mirrored as a means of self backup when I was running 2000. Since I've upgraded to XP, these 2 drives no longer mount. I looked at the Disk Management under Computer Management and noticed that the system recognized that they are there but it doesn't know how to read them. Both show up as Dynamic and Foreign.

I was hoping that since these had nothing to do with the boot drive they would just remount after the upgrade, but perhaps the indexing is lost?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Owen

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-2-hard-drives-disappear-when-installing-xp-help-please.650685/
Relevancy 43%

I had an ASUS P4P8X motherboard that went belly up, and I am now getting an P4P800E-Deluxe from the generous people at ASUS. Should I wipe my hard drives clean and do a clean install of Windows, or can I just hook everything up without having to go through all that hassle?

Also, I have been part of this online community now for a couple of months and have found most everyone to be extremely helpful. You all rock. :grinthumb

A:Installing new mobo, should I reformat hard drives?

guess your running xp home or pro ?
If all you are replacing is MB ,Id give it a shot see if you need to add MB drivers
couldn't hurt.
your MB manual might have hints on upgrade existing OS
as always backup your stuff
you don't give a hint as to how much stuff you have on the drives
guess couldn't be a lot
I did a MB change on one system and had to repair
just finished a build 2 days ago and just needed to update some drivers
go figure.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-new-mobo-should-i-reformat-hard-drives.21357/
Relevancy 43%

I want to install vista ultimate on my "C" drive but while installing I also want to format my "D" and "E" drive also.Can I do that ? with the vista ultimate install dvd.Any help will be great.Thank you

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/245271/how-to-format-other-drives-while-installing-vista-ultimate/
Relevancy 42.57%

Today I bought a usb external hard drive ComStar USB Hard Drive to use to back up my system I plugged it Hard Lost CD Drives DVD Drive External Installing After & in Vista automatically installed its drivers and it works fine The only problem is that since I did that neither my CD or DVD drivers work Why I have no idea and can t figure it out Looking at the Device Manager this is the info I get for the two drivers Lite-On LTN S x Max ATA Device--Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware The driver may be corrupted or missing Code TEAC DVD RW DV-W E ATA Device--Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware The driver may be corrupted or missing Code and this one too although I don t Lost CD & DVD Drives After Installing External Hard Drive know what it is Teredo Tunneling Pseudo Interface--Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information in the registry is incomplete or damaged Code Both drives worked fine before I installed the external drive I have tried to uninstall the new one but every time I restart the computer it automatically reinstalls its drivers even though it s no longer plugged in I ve also tried uninstalling the CD amp DVD drivers but when Vista tries to reinstall them Lost CD & DVD Drives After Installing External Hard Drive I get the same failure errors I have looked everywhere and can t find a solution--if anyone is able to help I would be most grateful Thanks Andrew nbsp

Relevancy 42.57%

I just installed two hard drives in my Windows xp64 machine and now the file system is running really slow. Like, if I open My Computer it takes forever to load. Anything I try to do takes a really long time. Even just highlighting drives takes a several seconds to register.

Stopped pretty much all non-essential applications from starting, but it doesn't seem to help.

I currently have five internal hard drives and two external drives totally around 2000GB. The only thing I can think is that the two new drives are SATA drives while all the others are EIDE. I don't see why that would cause problems, but I thought maybe.

Anyone have any ideas?

A:System running really slow after installing new hard drives

What is the rated output of your PSU? The way you now have it setup will need a lot of power to push it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/system-running-really-slow-after-installing-new-hard-drives-295284.html