Windows Support Forum

wifi signal bars not showing but connected to wifi

Q: wifi signal bars not showing but connected to wifi

hello,

iam using windows 7 professional 32 bit. my laptop is hp elitebook 2560. my laptop is capturing signal, i am able to connect to internet also. But in wifi icon,on wifi bar cross mark is showing up.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: wifi signal bars not showing but connected to wifi

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: wifi signal bars not showing but connected to wifi

Do you have another user account on this computer? Are you able to see the Network indicator in the notification toolbar on that account? Follow the steps in this documentto create a new user account. If you do find that the icon is in the notification taskbar, you may also use those steps to recover from a corrupted user profile.
Let us know if this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/366004-wifi-signal-bars-not-showing-but-connected-wifi.html
Relevancy 84.63%

I am facing a kind of weird problem!! My Sony Vaio was getting connected to my Home wifi network and I could access Internet without any problem. Its been few days now that I can't access Internet though it shows connected. It does connect with the Wifi without any issue and even show the full signal like before, but actually there's no internet access. No browsers (IE,Chrome,FF) load any webpage, no messengers work.
I am using Windows 8 Pro,
antivirus-Avast home edition
Vaio model-VPCEB1E0E
Can anyone please shed some light on this issue?

Thanks in advance

A:No Internet access in Sony Vaio though Wifi is connected showing full signal

Do you get internet access with an ethernet connection?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-internet-access-in-sony-vaio-though-wifi-is-connected-showing-full-signal.1081577/
Relevancy 80.91%

Hello I just noticed that my wifi signal bars stay at full bars and does not change even if the signal is truly low I realized this only recently when I transferred to our bedroom which supposedly had the worst signal in the house but the signal bar still stays at full Whenever I click on it the real signal will appear and does not currently real at not signal always Wifi Signal full bars - matching match the one shown in the system tray icons Note My current wireless network adapter is Intel Dual Band Wireless AC- Updated to Windows Anniversary Update on August Solutions I've Wifi Signal always at full bars - not matching real signal tried but failed to fix it Uninstalling the wireless network adapter restarting PC and scanning for hardware changes although it did show the true signal for a second then went to full bars Updating the wireless network adapter to no success in fixing it Also tried rolling back the driver to the original one Turning Network system tray icons on and off in the windows settings And BEFORE doing that I was also trying to fix various problems Wifi Signal always at full bars - not matching real signal that also came with my laptop Updated Intel HD Graphics and Nvidia drivers which seemingly fixed my BSOD problems that never again happened since then Updated my BIOS to the latest which fixed black screen restarting problems when laptop wakes up from sleep NOTE all the drivers ive installed came from the manufacturer's model's support website for my specific laptop I've fixed all the other problems of my laptop but I can't seem to fix the wifi signal bar staying at full Below is an attached image of my problem

A:Wifi Signal always at full bars - not matching real signal

You do not need to scribble out the names on that screenshot, since it will do nothing for any of us. That signal graphic is just like on a cellphone. It does not mean anything. There are a lot of factors why you can have great radio signal, but have interference causing a blackout or outage. If you want to see a snapshot of all signals your wifi adapter is seeing, open up a Command Window as administrator and type it 'netsh wlan show all'.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/61928-wifi-signal-always-full-bars-not-matching-real-signal.html
Relevancy 107.5%

I run Windows 8 on an Acer Aspire 5515 laptop with a Broadcom 802.11 network adapter. I have a modem about 50 ft. away from my laptop and until today my WiFi signal strength for my LAN was 5 of 5 bars and I was picking up 8 or 10 different wireless networks. Suddenly, this afternoon my signal strength has dropped to 2 of 5 bars and I only see 2 or 3 other networks.

I have made no changes to my modem, laptop or physical location of either. My room mates laptop is working normally and he has 5 bars and still sees 8 other networks. Any suggestions. If something has changed a setting somewhere on my laptop, would a system restore change help? I can't live with a weak and unstable internet connection.

A:Wifi signal strength dropped to 2 of 5 bars

Originally Posted by patagriff

I run Windows 8 on an Acer Aspire 5515 laptop with a Broadcom 802.11 network adapter. I have a modem about 50 ft. away from my laptop and until today my WiFi signal strength for my LAN was 5 of 5 bars and I was picking up 8 or 10 different wireless networks. Suddenly, this afternoon my signal strength has dropped to 2 of 5 bars and I only see 2 or 3 other networks.

I have made no changes to my modem, laptop or physical location of either. My room mates laptop is working normally and he has 5 bars and still sees 8 other networks. Any suggestions. If something has changed a setting somewhere on my laptop, would a system restore change help? I can't live with a weak and unstable internet connection.

System restore may help in some situations but it may not completely solve the problem in this case.

If you can post a screen shot of the ipconfig/all from this machine it would be very useful.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/22767-wifi-signal-strength-dropped-2-5-bars.html
Relevancy 107.5%

i run windows 8.1 now on a Acer Aspire M5-481T. This is a school laptop and i think it was upgraded to windows 8.1 after they had to re-image/reset it. Before the reset i had always 5-4 bars connection. Now i only have 1, with constant flickering between 1 and 5 and it even completely disconnects sometimes. Nothing is wrong with my modem, it works fine with other devices and at the same distance.

In order to keep a constant 4-5 bars connection i have to sit really close to the modem, this was not the case before the reset. Is there something wrong with windows 8.1 and can a setting be changed in comp to fix this?

A:wifi signal dropped to 1/5 bars reset

Originally Posted by jansenbbb

i run windows 8.1 now on a Acer Aspire M5-481T. This is a school laptop and i think it was upgraded to windows 8.1 after they had to re-image/reset it. Before the reset i had always 5-4 bars connection. Now i only have 1, with constant flickering between 1 and 5 and it even completely disconnects sometimes. Nothing is wrong with my modem, it works fine with other devices and at the same distance.

In order to keep a constant 4-5 bars connection i have to sit really close to the modem, this was not the case before the reset. Is there something wrong with windows 8.1 and can a setting be changed in comp to fix this?

Did you try installing different drivers for WiFi adapter ?

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/55255-wifi-signal-dropped-1-5-bars-reset.html
Relevancy 106.64%

I have three kind of Wifi reciever:
one that shows signal strength in bars: 1 to 5
other show signal strength in percentage
and third type show signal strength in dbm.

How can I compare these. For example 3bars is how many percentage or dbm?

A:Wifi reciever signal strength: bars, dbm , percentage

dbm has to do with electrical power in signals. it should remain the same. a wireless router is typically 20.

comparing bars and percentage is simple. if there are 5 bars, each is 20%. take 20 times bar amount.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-reciever-signal-strength-bars-dbm-percentage.870493/
Relevancy 102.34%

Laptop is connected to wifi but still shows yellow star and grey bars?
Title says it all. I've reinstall the drivers, changed the settings in the registry editor that someone on another forum suggested, delete all the wifi accounts and rebooted the computer. No errors in device manager, the Windows wifi connection software is the only one running. Internet is working but it wont allow me to setup a vpn. I've rebooted everything.

I just noticed that no matter what wireless network I connect to it still does this. Also, I connected to a wireless network that this laptop never connects to and it never asks what kind of network it is. It just sets it as a public network. My other laptop connects to both fine.

A:Laptop is connected to wifi but still shows yellow star and grey bars?

Three hours later and no one has a clue. This thing is giving me a headache. I've tried everything I can think of or find online short of formatting and reloading.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/242277-laptop-connected-wifi-but-still-shows-yellow-star-grey-bars.html
Relevancy 98.04%

Hi guys,

I'm having bit of an odd problem - i've recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate and for the most part finding it a great upgrade.

I've recently noticed that while i am connected and have internet access - with seemingly no issues, Windows is reporting No Signal, in the bottom right the strength indicator bars are gray. (i dont think it was like this when i first installed).

I downloaded a wifi signal strength desktop gadget and that reports 0%.

Is this some sort of bug or should i be worried?

I seem to have a pretty stable connection according to pingtest.net - gets a grade A, ping average 20 ish and jitter around 5...

It's just kind of annoying me a little

Cheers
Paul

A:Wifi - Connected fine but display says no signal

Quote: Originally Posted by paulr1981

Hi guys,

I'm having bit of an odd problem - i've recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate and for the most part finding it a great upgrade.

I've recently noticed that while i am connected and have internet access - with seemingly no issues, Windows is reporting No Signal, in the bottom right the strength indicator bars are gray. (i dont think it was like this when i first installed).

I downloaded a wifi signal strength desktop gadget and that reports 0%.

Is this some sort of bug or should i be worried?

I seem to have a pretty stable connection according to pingtest.net - gets a grade A, ping average 20 ish and jitter around 5...

It's just kind of annoying me a little

Cheers
Paul

Not to worry. I have it all the time especially on public wifi. Has zero effect besides annoying us.
Ken J

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/117786-wifi-connected-fine-but-display-says-no-signal.html
Relevancy 95.03%

As shown here:

I connected to HTC Aria Wifi Hotspot and on the task bar it shows full signal.

On the network and sharing center, there was a 'RED CROSS' although it said Access Type : Internet.

After I connected to the Wifi, there wasn't a red cross, it shows up only after I start browsing (for eg i browse on Google), then the red cross shows up but I was still able to browse (only on Google).

If I browsed wikipedia, then after the red cross shows up, I am only able to browse on wikipedia but not other sites.. Can anyone help?

EDIT: My comp is Acer Aspire 4745G, windows 7 home premium on 64-bit Operating System, tried window troubleshooter but no problem was found

A:Wifi shows connected with full signal but unable to surf the internet

Hello,

It says that you are copnnected to two networks. Disable your other network connection or unplug the cable if you are connected via a wire. It probably because it is getting confused about how to access the internet.

If the above fails:
Click Start>Run> type 'cmd'
In the command prompt type 'ipconfig /all'

Post the information on here.
Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/198300-wifi-shows-connected-full-signal-but-unable-surf-internet.html
Relevancy 94.17%

I hvae a Sony VAIO VPCL FD All-In-One computer that I just upgraded to Windows from Win It has Wifi No Connected, Showing 10 Upgrade Windows After Internet an Atheros AR x WiFi Wifi Showing Connected, No Internet After Windows 10 Upgrade card with driver installed It worked fine with but since I upgraded the OS I Wifi Showing Connected, No Internet After Windows 10 Upgrade m now getting quot Connected No Internet quot I ve narrowed down the issue but cant seem to get it resolved I m running a Linksys EA dual band router with the channel width set to AUTO When I go into the router setup page and switch it from AUTO to MHz it resolves the problem But I don t want to run my network at MHz so I obviously want to get the card to recognize higher channel widths When I go into the adapter properties there is nothing available to do this that I can find I m pretty sure I have the most recent drivers so is it possible this card won t work with anything higher than MHz with Win nbsp

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/wifi-showing-connected-no-internet-after-windows-10-upgrade.310606/
Relevancy 91.59%
A:wifi low signal & can't detect any wifi after upgraded windo...

Same issue is with my system as well Product Name-- HP 240 G4-328TXOS-- Windows 10, 64 bits. Somebody please reply ASAP  Thanks 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/wifi-low-signal-amp-can-t-detect-any-wifi-after-upgraded/td-p/5296494
Relevancy 90.73%

Wifi not connected and wifi button stay orange what I do tu resolve this problem... im so ............ plz help I try many mathods but they didn't work .........I need my wifi back....

A:wifi button light stay.orange and wifi.not connected

And I have HP 1000 notebook PC......

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/wifi-button-light-stay-orange-and-wifi-not-connected/td-p/5609896
Relevancy 90.73%

I was at a home today and connected to their private home network on a Surface Pro 4. This showed their network as Connected. However, the internet kept going to a local open BT network instead! I couldn't select this open network anywhere to exclude it. Thinking about it now, I should have disabled/reenabled Wifi first, and then tried a reboot after that. But otherwise, is there any hidden setting to ignore certain networks?

A:Using 'open' access Wifi point instead of connected private wifi.

Hello and welcome to the TenForums

If the home where you were had a BT hub then it most probably was offering both an open connection also known as BT Wifi or BT Fon and also a secured wifi connection which would have an SSID number with a BThub name with some random numbers and letters. It is possible that you connected to the open one and were then automatically directed to a BT broadband page on the internet to pay for use of the BT hotspot service that they provide via customers routers. See this article for more info: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...fi-with-fon%3F

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/47484-using-open-access-wifi-point-instead-connected-private-wifi.html
Relevancy 89.87%

This is the exact opposite of most WiFi issues. I have two guest networks set up on my wireless router (Asus RT-68U), one for each of my daughters. I change the password daily in order to make them earn the password with chores after school. My older daughter's T450 refuses to stop connecting to the WiFi, even persisting through reboots. MAC address filtering fails, as does turning off internet access to her MAC/IP combination. After changing the password or enabling one of the more strict rules, eventually, randomly, her laptop will finally decide to stop accessing her WiFi connection. I am fairly certain it is something with the Lenovo as I have two other laptops, one Asus and one HP that both respond as I would expect to a WiFi password change. Any ideas as to why this happens with the Lenovo?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/WiFi-staying-connected-after-changing-WiFi-password/td-p/3418206
Relevancy 89.87%

Hi Could you please tell me if this is possible:
My computer is connected to a wireless network. Can I hook up my D-link (DIR-412) to my computer and use the internet from the computer to output another wireless area?

Thanks sounds complicated.

A:Connected to WIFI and want to extend wifi with another wireless router

Where you live is your setup like this?

Internet
Modem
WiFi Router

or

Internet
Modem with built-in WiFi Router

If you want extend the WiFi you would get WiFi Access Point. Or you can take a WiFi Router and disable NAT, SPI, DCHP, then you create a static IP address. 192.168.x.50

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connected-to-wifi-and-want-to-extend-wifi-with-another-wireless-router.199845/
Relevancy 89.87%

Hi, wifi is not connected properly. Network connection list is visible but try connect means,thrown error as unable to connect. After troubleshooting i am getting the below error message "Problem with wireless adaptor or access point".  Please suggest me to resolve the issue.  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Wifi-is-not-connected-after-installed-ralink-wifi-adaptor/td-p/5677670
Relevancy 89.87%

Okay so my desktop is connected to the network by wifi to the wireless N plus B and G router It connects to the internet fine and dandy Possible iPhone's the connected that net? computer is to connect wifi to wifi by to My iPhone can connect to the router but drops the wifi signal most of the time It doesn t seem Possible to connect iPhone's wifi to computer that is connected by wifi to the net? to want to hold the connection because of either distance Possible to connect iPhone's wifi to computer that is connected by wifi to the net? or interference from the wall or whatever What Possible to connect iPhone's wifi to computer that is connected by wifi to the net? I want is to connect the iPhone s wifi to the computer for a stronger connection But I don t want to move the router because it s centrally located and my office is kinda further away from it Equipment computer n wireless USB adapter connected to computer g wireless PCI adapter connected to computer n router connected to internet iPhone with b g connectivity Is it possible to do this I know what people have done it with one wired connection and a wireless connection from the computer But can it be done with TWO wireless adapters connected to the computer Thanks in advance for any replies PS I know it d be easier to just use the computer to browse the internet since I d be in the office anyway but I work as a D modeler and alot of times I m testing renders for scenes and such and can t stop the render without losing the progress If I browse while it s rendering it s possible I can crash the computer because of the heavy resources the D engine is already using nbsp

A:Possible to connect iPhone's wifi to computer that is connected by wifi to the net?

Doesn't hurt (except maybe your time) to try. Get an ad-hoc wireless network working between computer and iPhone (using dynamic addressing). Then in Network Connections bridge the two wireless connections.

If it doesn't work, show the following for the computer before you bridge and when you have the bridge.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/possible-to-connect-iphones-wifi-to-computer-that-is-connected-by-wifi-to-the-net.810596/
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi
To clarify, my laptop Lenovo Y510p is able to connect wifi by it self, but it's wireless card is 802.11n, it only can use 2.4 ghz. So i decide to add a wifi adapter D-link DWA 160,  with updated driver. And every time i use the adapter to wifi, it disable
itself from laptop, also a lot of time it disconnect even i was not using it. when i open the change adapter setting, the adapter go 1) attempting to authenticate 2)enable 3) disable 4) gone for 1 second and back to attempting to authenticate again. The entire
process only need 5 second. And i want it to stop doing that.Please Help

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f95bd229-2e72-47f2-a60d-52d21b026872/wifi-adapter-keep-disconnecting-when-connected-to-wifi?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 87.29%

So at my friend s house whenever it rains or bad cloudy day there is no WiFi signal sending from main floor to nd floor So I recommend them to install a Linksys RE range extender to boost the signal on the existing Linksys AC unit and the setup of that extender is wacky It somehow works after a while but w o the GHz band But the other day when they re-plug and good what's signal doesn't day during booster signal & WiFi rainy the work, signal extender? no in that extender there is no signal even on a sunny no WiFi signal during rainy day and signal booster doesn't work, & what's the good signal extender? day So today no WiFi signal during rainy day and signal booster doesn't work, & what's the good signal extender? I try to help them to re-initialize that RE by going thru the instruction totally no signal on a sunny day Now assuming it s a defective DOA unit is there some range extender that is high quality And has a nice and simple setup software just in case pushing the WPS button doesn t work And more importantly should we unplug the extender when you don t use it Or are you suppose to always leave it plug in If you unplug it would you lost all the setting on that extender nbsp

A:no WiFi signal during rainy day and signal booster doesn't work, & what's the good signal extender?

Ouch!
Use a wire. Extend WiFi via remotely placed access points.

https://hardforum.com/threads/no-wifi-signal-during-rainy-day-and-signal-booster-doesnt-work-whats-the-good-signal-extender.1904091/
Relevancy 86.86%

I have a HP laptop with D-links router. The wifi signal was working for a few months and all of a sudden it stopped working. I have tried to reinstall the router and checked everything i could think of but it still isn't working???? I have windows xp and i checked to make sure all my wireless setup was right but still not able to get internet unless i plug straight into the modem. Please offer any advice you can think of. My ex-boyfriend was good with computers, but he isn;'t around and i don't know what to do. Thanks!

A:I am connected to a wifi signal, but I get "page can not be displayed"

Have you tried reseting your router? If not,

1. Disconnect the router from the modem (not always necessary, but sometimes it is).

2. Find the reset button on your router (you will probably need a paper clip).

3. Hold it for 15-30 seconds, then release and let it set for a minute or less (probably when the power light stops blinking).

4. Do the same for you modem.

5. Once all of "internet," "dsl," light, or both, are on and not flickering, connect the router back to the modem.

Give it a minute or two. Once your hardware components make friends again you may or may not have to run through a basic setup for you router (it depends on the model, don't worry, most new routers are very easy to setup). If it doesn't good for you. Either way, your net should be working. Hopefully, if not, keep posting!

That should fix your wired part anyway, as for wireless you may or may not have to reconfigure something. If it still isn't working, post what model/version your router is.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-am-connected-to-a-wifi-signal-but-i-get-page-can-not-be-displayed.102534/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hey guys, I'm just looking for a solution to why my wifi bars wont show an accurate amount of wifi bars in the task bar. I know i should only have 3 bars in my lounge room because when i disconnect it shows that my wifi is only three bars then when i connect to the wifi is says i have full bars. Why is this? Is it fixable?

A:Inaccurate Wifi bars

Wow you guys are helpful..

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/204694-inaccurate-wifi-bars.html
Relevancy 81.27%

There seems to be almost no correlation to performance - 5 bars could be a 100+ Mbps connection, or it could be < 5 Mbps... On the other hand, 4, 3, 2, and 1 bars all mean that the connection is going to be flaky and unstable

A:How are the wifi connectivity bars determined?

I may be wrong but I think the bars are for the signal strength and not the speed of the connection.

Jim

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/42036-how-wifi-connectivity-bars-determined.html
Relevancy 81.27%

My Sprint HTC EVO phone is cheaper and faster than my AT&T broadband connection so I want to drop AT&T and use sprint.

The problem is I have a few devices such as a Blu-ray player, a Direct TV DVR and other items that need to be hard wired.

I want to use my phone as a WiFi hot spot then pick up the signal with a device and plug my Direct TV DVR into the device with an ethernet cable.

Sprint was unable to help and someone on another non-tech site suggested a Engenius Network ESR9850.

Does anyone know if this will work, or if there are other options available

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-need-to-convert-a-wireless-wifi-signal-to-a-wired-ethernet-signal.1003226/
Relevancy 80.41%

The wifi setup went pretty seamlessly on the new HP desktop computer but now that it is connected to the main household network the computer wifi internet connection on the new computer is either at bars bars out of or it goes off entirely Pretty frustrating to be downloading something full blast and all the sudden the internet connection just drops An older Laptop in the same room as the new computer does not have this issue Laptop has bars all the time with no droppage Its just the new HP desktop I have a quot guest quot user setting too that when used on this new HP computer has the same issue bars then after about minutes it drops off I am thinking it problem......Either Off?? computer Solved: New 4 bars wifi or might be something to do with the settings on the new computer but not sure Solved: New computer wifi problem......Either 4 bars or Off?? where to change things Things I have tried The powersaving and screensaver settings - all are Solved: New computer wifi problem......Either 4 bars or Off?? set to put all to sleep after hour The home network was added using the right password The router is fairly new and the modem too It makes no difference if all other wifi connected items are being used at the same time or not At all times day or night the same issues Can t think of anything else Any ideas on what I should do next I don t want to use a wifi extender because I have heard it slows everything down a lot And I hate to move the router to the new computer because the wifi works fine all over our house except for this one bedroom nbsp

A:Solved: New computer wifi problem......Either 4 bars or Off??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-new-computer-wifi-problem-either-4-bars-or-off.1105067/
Relevancy 80.41%

I live in an assisted living establishment with wifi furnished free but it isn't the best.I'm showing 5 bars on my computer, but I'm only getting around 1 Mbps and I see a lot of the spinning donut. Are there things that I am able to do or am I at the mercy of the owner. He probably would not be willing to spend a little more cash just to satisfy a few of us old geezers.

A:I've got 5 bars wifi, but only about 1 Mbps download speed.

You have 2 effects - for one the owner probably went with a cheap connection (ask him what it is) and then there are several people connecting to the router which produces contention.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/392978-ive-got-5-bars-wifi-but-only-about-1-mbps-download-speed.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi everyone Got some Wifi issues that's slowly driving me crazy I have a desktop pc with Win and a usb Wifi adapter connected Now my wifi is showing full bars and what appears to be a strong connection yet the internet hangs and is unable to load an entire page if it even works at all A lot of the time it will jump from full connection to limited access and it took forever to identify the network All other computers in the house have great wifi connection - however they are all laptops Mine full at or shows Wifi but runs slow not all bars is the only one dependant on an external wifi adapter I have tried several adapters and have had problems with all of them never able to maintain a stable wifi connection One had a decent connection but it was not entirely stable and usually hung in the low bars It worked with my computer being in the same room as the router but I've had to move it one room over I've tried resetting the router I've tried disabling both router firewall and windows firewall with no change I've tried installing and reinstalling the latest drivers for the adapter I've tried putting the adapter and the router right next to one another no change The channel I'm using was shown to be the one least used I could try and switch channels but we really don't think we have that much traffic out here as I live in the countryside My adapter is this one ALFA AWUSO H The most frustrating thing is that it looks like the wifi is working with full bars yet it doesn't work at all Any help is greatly appreciated Thanks for reading

A:Wifi shows full bars but runs slow or not at all

I am afraid it is not the fault of your WiFi but something in the system is interfering. Make a test and run it in safe mode with internet and see whether that is better.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/287926-wifi-shows-full-bars-but-runs-slow-not-all.html
Relevancy 79.55%

after a factory reset - i am missing wifi bars icon on start menu.... i can only access internet with chord, i am on a Dell Inspiron N5110 / windows 7

i would appreciate the help

A:after a factory reset - i am missing wifi bars icon

Try this:

1) Right-click on your LAN icon in the lower right-hand side of your task bar and select "Open Network And Sharing Center."
2) On the left-hand side of the Network Sharing Center choose "Change Adapter Settings."
3) Make sure that your "Wireless Network Connection" icon is enabled by right-clicking on it and selecting "enabled". You'll know that it is already enabled if the right-click menu option says "disable".

If that doesn't work, you might be missing a driver or another piece of software-like item. Did you buy this machine brand new?
Also, please use the TechGuy SysInfo utility and paste the results in this thread via a reply.
Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/after-a-factory-reset-i-am-missing-wifi-bars-icon.1079427/
Relevancy 78.69%

The house has laptops connected to a mobile hotspot Both connect fine to the internet One is a Lenova Win bit When it connects its wifi shows or bars for this house bars is high The second computer is a Toshiba that I got years ago and it has always shown bars Because it was the first Win machine in the house I assumed that was the way it was supposed to be until we got the Lenova I have searched the 5 bars system shouldn't tray icon WiFi when it shows always Net for some answer but found none I have cleared the Tray Notification Cache with CCleaner but that did nothing I ran a program that someone said would fix missing tray icons and that did nothing I have considered swapping that dll file with the icons in it forgot the name right now that I assume both the Toshiba and Lenova have Since they both have Windows Home Premium bit SP I would think the file would be the same I am just not sure what WiFi system tray icon always shows 5 bars when it shouldn't would happen For other information the wifi icon will show other 'phases' When I say phases I mean not connected connecting can't connect and connected but it will not show the separate bars I find this a little odd and a little maddening that the all powerful google can't help me Thanks

A:WiFi system tray icon always shows 5 bars when it shouldn't

Go to the Computer manufactures website and Help-support section for Wifi driver updates,
They will usually have a utility to auto search all existing drivers and post the updated releases,
You can also try Intel directly but most will recommend getting them from the manufacture's website.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/301535-wifi-system-tray-icon-always-shows-5-bars-when-shouldnt.html
Relevancy 78.26%

recently usb resources wifi adaptor wifi wifi not recognized, hogging i was having major computer issues on my desktop i did a full restore to factory settings and after doing a few windows updates i found that my network adaptor was not finding any signals it does not show up in the change adaptor settings wifi adaptor not recognized, usb wifi hogging wifi resources page or in the device manager page when i troubleshoot my internet connection it says an ethernet cable is not properly plugged in I have a desktop computer but it definately has a wireless network card i used to get windows updates for it and it just stopped wifi adaptor not recognized, usb wifi hogging wifi resources working one day when i look in the BIOS the only option related to booting a network card is B D Yukon PXE no matter when i boot it i still dont get wireless signals when i go into the boot menu and try to boot this device it says quot PXE E media test failure please check cable quot i have opened the tower and the card is securely in its slot i thought i would workaround by getting a usb wifi card I installed it and connected to the internet and it alternated between having a connection to the internet and being connected to the network but not the internet even when it is connected to the internet i cannot reach any web pages my dropbox desktop files wifi adaptor not recognized, usb wifi hogging wifi resources update very slowly kb s when i am connected with the usb card the network stops working for everyone else in the house they can no longer reach web pages or continue downloads please help gateway DX AMD Phenom II X processor GHz GB DDRII RAM windows home premium EDIT additionally nothing shows up when i scan with avast antivirus nbsp

Relevancy 75.68%

For whatever reason, my signal strength seems to consistently drop, but only when I'm in my basement. I have perfect signal strength when I'm upstairs. Strangely enough there never used to be a problem and it just started out of nowhere. I want my internet speed back, it's frustrating, can someone please help me!?

I have a Dell Inspiron 7377.

A:Signal Strength Drops Constantly From 5 Bars to 2 Bars

It depends on where the Wireless Access Point is located, and how many other A/P's are on the same channel(s) as the Access Point. Also if the power is dialed down on the Wifi, that can also cause issues.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/68261-signal-strength-drops-constantly-5-bars-2-bars.html
Relevancy 75.25%

PC is a Comapq Presario laptop running XP W/ SP 3.

I show an Internet connection and excellent signal strength yet when I try to open IE the page "stalls" and when I open Task Manager it was IE not responding.

I get the same when I try to open AOL.

All was working fine when I went into the store and then, After I came back out this started happening.

Any thoughts on where to start?

A:Showing Connected and good signal streanght yet can't open any web browesr

Try running Minitoolbox while connected from the network here -> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic398507.html and checkmarked all options. Did you use another browser to check on the difference or running IE w/out add-ons?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/466265/showing-connected-and-good-signal-streanght-yet-cant-open-any-web-browesr/
Relevancy 75.25%

Strange one, my wifi signal shows 4 bars strength, when I look at network connections it show no connections available , and I cannot update Windowsfiles due to an error message saying no network connection, wierd part is I can open all my programs that require a wifi signal. Any help appreciated. T.I.A.

A:No wifi signal

What is the make and model of your computer?  What is the source of your WiFi?  Using a router or phone as an access point?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/599379/no-wifi-signal/
Relevancy 75.25%

I have a MacMini OS Lion My ISP is Verizon who supplies an ActionTech router I have a NO WiFi signal TV with a Roku that is about ft away from the router The Actiontech router couldn t send a wifi signal that far I was using a Netgear router on my former PC that worked fine with the Roku even at that distance A verizon Tech suggested to use the Netgear router in series with the Actiontech router to see if that worked which it did A few days later we had a NO WiFi signal power surge that caused me to replace the Actiontech Router and verizon sent me a new one I set up the new router the same way with the Netgear router in series The NO WiFi signal Actiontech router is working supplying me with internet but I can t get a wifi signal from the Netgear router I have a Kindle and tried to get a signal a few feet from the net gear router but can t The lights on the net gear NO WiFi signal router are on but no signal Any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 75.25%

I was wondering if anyone knows how to pick up a better WiFi Signal? I have a USB adapter which connects via my router down stairs and I can only get 2-3 green bars. How can I get 5 or increase it?

A:WiFi Signal ?

I'm by no means an expert on wireless networking. However, I would imagine the USB adapters get pretty poor reception compared to something with an external antenna. If you are using the USB adapter on a desktop computer, a PCI wireless card might work better. Here is an example of one.

However, I suppose the most obvious answer is to just move the receiver closer to the router. There's also a possibility of things interfering with the signal, which would cause reduced signal strength. You could try a different channel on the router.

Are you having problems with the data rate or with dropping the connection? Why are you concerned about the signal strength?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-signal.771676/
Relevancy 75.25%

hello, I was using HP 15-138AU since 1 month, my wifi signal is not stable i.e., it increases, decreases, disconnects some time. some times even i am beside to my router, it not even shows 1 point. "Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi M.2 Adapter" is the only driver suited my notebook. "windows 7 ultimate 64 bit" is the operating system i was using. Hoping you people will reply me a solution to this issue. thanks,pc

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/wifi-signal/td-p/5682402
Relevancy 75.25%

hello on my acer aspire laptop i was using signal wifi bad linux os but i was getting a very low signal so i have come back ti windows ultimate bit i am still having a few problems connecting i have sky broadband and a bad wifi signal sky hub Windows IP Configuration Host Name John-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List Home Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific bad wifi signal DNS Suffix Home Description Atheros AR B Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address - - C-A - C-B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe bc ef e df Preferred bad wifi signal IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained December Lease Expires December Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - C- C- -F - - F- -AB- - E DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Broadcom NetLink TM Gigabit Ethernet Physical Address - F- -AB- - E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address ef fb cb a a cc Prefe rred Link-local IPv Address fe cb a a cc Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter isatap Home Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Home Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes

A:bad wifi signal

i tried every thing but no luck,i installed Linux Ultimate Edition 2.6.1 and i am now getting 94%

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/356349-bad-wifi-signal.html
Relevancy 74.39%

when I turn my pc hotspot on using connectify or any other such softwares, it gives very poor signal.But if you keep that device right above the laptop then it works fine.Otherwise just take it slight away from the pc it gives poor signal....I wanted to know if it could  be a hardware or a software problem... 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/weak-wifi-signal/td-p/5750339
Relevancy 74.39%

Hello, I have a wireless router that rests across the house next to the modem. The signal is too weak to reach to the other side of the house. Is there a way to boost the signal so I can get wifi from across the house or any other way to get an internet connection without several fifty foot wires going across the house? All suggestions are appreciated, Thank you.

A:Boost Wifi Signal

Products like these can do the job.

Others may have more appropriate suggestions though.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boost-wifi-signal.981877/
Relevancy 74.39%

Should I be trying to boost the transmission range of the router to get a better signal or the reception of the PCI WiFi card in my computer? I don't want to fish ethernet cables through the house then outside under ground to the shop in order to recieve internet there. I tried using a 9 dbi antenna vs the 2 dbi that came with the wireless PCI card. I recieve the modem signal but it has 0 strength.

A:WiFi signal - Am I going about this the wrong way?

yes

Its a joint effort. The router needs abit of help also.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-signal-am-i-going-about-this-the-wrong-way.108838/
Relevancy 74.39%

my neighbor network really drives me crazy. he's promoting his internet access and once his wifi signal appear i will lost mine! i wonder whether its my notebook faulty or whatever it is... help me to solve this prob pls. cos normally i have to wait at least one day to get my own wifi to appear and connect to it again.

A:wifi signal interference

Login to your router, and change it to another channel. also make sure yours has a password, and it not set to automatically connect to your neighbors network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-signal-interference.1008392/
Relevancy 74.39%

Okay I live in a pretty old apartment building now We get quot free WiFi quot but the signal is not very strong though my computer constantly tells me I have five bars Boosting WiFi Signal or an quot excellent quot signal strength Boosting WiFi Signal Now usually the signal is strong enough to go smoothly for most videos sites and games Now there are a few games that I play that slow my connection down a bit and one that slows it down a good deal Being in an old building we don t have much of a way to Boosting WiFi Signal get our own personal connection as far as I know me being computer illiterate and all but I do have my own wireless router I was wondering if I could somehow use that to pick up the signal they are giving off and boost it in my room for better connection speeds for gaming and overall use I do have an ethernet cable that can hook up from the router to my laptop if that can help you help me out Again being computer illiterate I won t be able to follow hard to follow instructions so if anyone could please help me with this and explain in a somewhat easy to understand manner I d be eternally grateful nbsp

Relevancy 74.39%

this is a real stumper for me I replaced a motherboard in a laptop n s asus everything went well except for when the system came up the wifi radio signal wifi disabled signal was disabled I have uninstalled drivers reinstalled drivers there is switches one on keyboard and one physical switch on side there are no errors being reported device manager is all ok I even went as far as throwing another hdd in and doing a reinstall using the same drivers and wifi comes right up but under the original hdd the wifi will not detect any signal I cant figure out for the life of me what the heck could be disabled I also checked wifi signal disabled the properties of the adapter and all is showing enabled and ok my only guess at this point wifi signal disabled is maybe it is a registery issue the motherboard is not an exact replacement it is designed for a n sn but as I stated above I even reloaded windows and used the current drivers and all works fine one other thing I forgot to mention I also removed that wifi card and installed a differnt card and it also will not detect a signal but again it all works fine on a fresh install on a different hdd I am running win ultimate the system is an asus orignal model n s gb ram gt m i qm I really hope someone can help I dont want to try to reload and transfer all the info OUCH

A:wifi signal disabled

Have you checked your BIOS settings to make sure its not disabled?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/wifi-signal-disabled-658532.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I just wanted to relay an issue I had today on a newly installed Linksys Wireless Router Setup was super easy and a connection to the net was made in a few minutes I surfed for about an hour and a half listening to music on You Tube checking and reading email etc After supper while my wife was talking to her friend on the phone I could not get a wireless signal from the new router no matter what I did and I tried two different laptops that were known to be connecting earlier I suspected the new modem and went through the setup procedure again twice to WiFi Killer Signal see what would happen nothing Then it hit me cordless phone interference I hard wired a net connection to the laptop upstairs and googled cordless phone wifi intereference That confirmed my suspicions Finally after my wife got off the phone my wireless connection returned and is WiFi Signal Killer working right now gigahertz is the issue I am going to research a new phone but hate to spend the money as we have two phones both cordless in fine working order with unique ringtones set up for familiar callers and many many phone numbers stored in the phones plus the system is a caller ID and digital answering machine Oh well Just thought I would relate this story in case someone runs into issues down the road nbsp

A:WiFi Signal Killer

on some routers, like myne, which is also lynksys you can change the operating band to no be 2.4ghz

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-signal-killer.654529/
Relevancy 74.39%

On a brand new Yoga 3 PRO 1370 -  I am getting very low WIFI signal on all my routers. Compared side by side : Think pad yoga and yoga 3 pro - the first one have full bars on signal , the 3 pro have only 1-2 bars and disconnect all the time.  Only when the laptop is very close to the router -  getting full signal bars. Already removed and update the drivers twice . tried all configurations and power options - still very very low signal reception. Any ides ?

A:Yoga 3 pro - WIFI low signal

yuvalt,

Welcome to Lenovo Forums !

Thank you for taking time to post in your inquiry. I can see that you do have a wireless connectivity issue on your Yoga 3 pro. In order for us to provide you the best possible resolution for your issue you need to provide the following information.

1. Windows Operating System 32bit or 64bit system
2. Router information : Brand and Model, does it support wireless B, G & N
3. Check if your bluetooth is turned on.

I hope you can provided these information so that we can look at the issue at hand

Thanks

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-3-pro-WIFI-low-signal/td-p/1856306
Relevancy 74.39%

This laptop has an awful wifi signal is there anything i can do to improve it.The signasl is only acceptable when very close to the router itself Chris

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Poor-Wifi-Signal/td-p/5598772
Relevancy 74.39%

Apologies if question has been asked before.

I have a router in my garden den approx 40 yards down the garden, I have Ethernet cable from the router up to the house terminating into a 4 port powered switch, so that I can connect my laptop, and I am very happy with what I have done so far, but alas my mobile phone & tablet require Wifi, and the signal from the den in the garden through 2 walls & 2 trees and lots of shrubbery and finally when it gets to the living room the signal is quite weak, any ideas, I am willing to change the 4 port powered switch, but to what, I need help in purchasing the right bit of kit, as always your thoughts most appreciated.

A:Need help in boosting my Wifi signal.

I read a neat (and cheap) trick. Build your own reflector using a tin coffee or beverage can.
Cut the top off completely, cut 9/10ths of the bottom off.
then cut down the side (opposite of the remaining 1/10 on the bottom)
Spread the sides open to form the reflector. use the bottom as the base (the 1/10 still connected on the bottom holds it all together)

Point the concave reflector towards the living room.

I know.... it sounds cheesy, but it works! Or spend the money for a real booster.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/231266-need-help-boosting-my-wifi-signal.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi all I have a Motorola SBG Cable modem router I m with CableONE The issue I m having is strange my wifi signal goes from bars full signal to bar randomly I have no idea why I can Sporadic Signal Wifi SEE the modem from my desk it is only about feet away right down the hall There are no walls between me and it yet my signal strength is completely unpredictable Mainly this causes problems when I m watching Netflix YouTube or playing an online game It acts as if it completely lost connection for a couple seconds then it s back to normal YouTube however must be refreshed before it will continue streaming very annoying this happens every minutes or so I ve already reset the modem router to factory defaults Didn t work Also changed wireless channel didn t work either Speed tests with wifi will be anywhere between and mbps Sporadic Wifi Signal sometimes my full mbps Speed tests with a CAT- ethernet almost always come out at mbps my speed Wifi never fails it s always slower I ve never had this problem with this computer and have only noticed this happening for the past month My old internet CenturyLink was mbps i got mbps but speed tests through WiFi were ALWAYS mbps never different Also I was a good - feet from the modem then and the signal had to pass through walls and it had bars different house Still had perfect signal though as far as I was concerned I never had a problem Now with mbps internet and being only feet from the modem and it not going through any walls at all I have issues like no other Anyone know what might be going on Or is there something I can do to help fix this also--I have nothing wireless in this home No wireless home phone no wireless signal from any equiptment nothing The only thing giving out a wifi signal is the modem router unit And as I said the signal is passing through NO walls whatsoever it s a straight shot from here to the modem Furthermore the modem is isolated from anything else it is by itself in the corner No microwave TV radio anything like that are anywhere near it nbsp

A:Sporadic Wifi Signal

The issue I'm having is strange...my wifi signal goes from 5 bars, full signal, to 1 bar....randomly. I have no idea why. I can SEE the modem from my desk, it is only about 25 feet away, right down the hall. There are no walls between me and it, yet my signal strength is completely unpredictable.Click to expand...

download xirrus make sure your wireless is connected - usually defaults to the connected wireless signal anyway and then lets see the graph of the wireless signal after its run for a while or its dropped a few times

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx ( the site now appears to require a business email, so try the direct link below)
Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres alternative links

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-Monitor-Download-99109.html

http://download.cnet.com/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-Inspector/3000-18508_4-75758254.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)
Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

To post a screen shot of the active window.

Windows XP
Hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.

Vista or Windows 7
you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

Windows 8
you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
>Press the Esc. key.
>go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
>Press C... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sporadic-wifi-signal.1102290/
Relevancy 74.39%

hi i am looking for a product that would help need signal wifi picking up act as an antenna for my laptop i live next door to my parents and have no problem picking up their wifi network on my MacBook amp iPhone if i am at one end of my home however when i am in my bedroom which is on the other end of the house the signal is very spotty weak amp is difficult to pick up i have to strategically place my laptop on certain parts need help picking up wifi signal of my bed amp that only works some of the time it works just fine as soon as i step out into the hallway but it s annoying i want to be able to sit anywhere in my bedroom amp get a signal please help p s i called a Radio Shack store and the guy said i needed need help picking up wifi signal a Netgear usb thumb drive they have on sale now for will that do the trick thank u in advance for your help nbsp

A:need help picking up wifi signal

Welcome to TSG forum!!!
It is possibe that the adapter will help. I find that it helps on my laptop when in some rv parks when I am a bit away from the signal. I attach it to a usb extension cord and hang it higher in the coach so there is less stuff to interfer with the signal (such as aluminum siding and by hanging it there are windows)
Good luck.
vicks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-picking-up-wifi-signal.979934/
Relevancy 74.39%

how increase my wifi signal strength when i m using tp link w8968 router its signal strength is low when just i go to my room door while i m using bina tone w 850 it doest not happen .so plase tell me how to fi my tp link configuration. i m using win 8.1 .

A:wifi signal strength

natik said:

how increase my wifi signal strength when i m using tp link w8968 routerClick to expand...

If you have the router set to less than 100% Wi-Fi power (I think my new router doesn't even have that setting) than increase it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-signal-strength.1162916/
Relevancy 74.39%

is there a utility you can use to see what direction "weak" access points are?

just curious
pk

tried net stumbler but didnt really have a clue to how it works

A:can you pinpoint a wifi signal (AP)

Yes, I call it war-walking. Use any utility you like, NetStumbler is good, and see how strong the signal is. Start walking. If the signal gets stronger you are more or less on the right track. If it gets weaker, turn and walk in a different direction. Eventually you'll get dizzy or will find the approx. location of the AP.

I'm pretty sure that the only way you could determine direction w/o moving is with a very highly directional antenna that would detect the signal only when pointed in the correct direction.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-you-pinpoint-a-wifi-signal-ap.920117/
Relevancy 74.39%

Please help!I get really poor signal, it won't work more than 2 meters away. I have an HP Stream and have no end of problems It isn't the router as Ipad etc works fine. I've got no idea where to go next?

A:Poor wifi signal

Try reinstalling the Wifi driver from the hp.com site, that has worked for some other Stream notebook users here.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Poor-wifi-signal/td-p/5780904
Relevancy 74.39%

I have a belkin wireless Pre-n router wired to my main computer. I also have a Linksys Kiss 1600 media player in the next room. Normally the signal is good and I am able to watch downloads direct from my computer however, if my second computer is switched on and receiving the internet via its ethernet card I loose the signal on my kiss 1600. I have installed a linksys range expander howevr this appears not to have improved my signal strength.
Any ideas?
Abu

A:Wifi signal problem

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain&#8482; WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-signal-problem.637428/
Relevancy 74.39%

Hello fellow windows users I hope you don't mind helping me with an issue I WiFi how is can very weak, My this? fix signal I have been having Let me explain my situation A couple years ago my dad bought a wireless router For some reason the signal on it was very weak We tried tweaking the My WiFi signal is very weak, how can I fix this? settings but no results were produced We then proceeded to buy another router in case the one we had was a lemon it wasn't Same results from this one too Then when we made the switch from TWC to AT amp T we acquired yet another router which is the one we currently have We hoped that it was our service provider that was giving us the weak signal but with AT amp T it is exactly the same We are stumped as to why this is so We live in a one story house and by the time I get to my garage where I have my brand new Xbox setup I either get or bars So it is impossible for me to use the live points I just paid for Our router is in a cabinet but I assume that doesn't make too much of a difference because so is our neighbors and I get a full bars from their wifi IN MY HOUSE So anyways I would greatly appreciate any input any of you may have as to why we are unable to get a solid strong wifi signal Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you PS I am going to go to sleep now as it is rather late but I am going to check this thread after I get back from school tomorrow or before school if I have the time Sorry

A:My WiFi signal is very weak, how can I fix this?

Couple of software tools that may help:

Wi-Fi Inspector | Xirrus

inSSIDer ? Discover the Wi-Fi Networks Around You | MetaGeek

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/226004-my-wifi-signal-very-weak-how-can-i-fix.html
Relevancy 74.39%

When the Wifi signal strength is low does it effect the speed of the internet? Right now on my laptop Im only getting 2 bars out of 5 in the wifi status menu.
...Anyway I don't think it really does but just wanted to make sure...
-Thanks guys!

A:Wifi Signal Quality?

Generally speaking yes it get slower the weaker the signal but it depends on other factors as well networking - Does Distance From the Router Affect Internet speed? - Super User

http://www.pchelpforum.com/network-help/125958-wifi-signal-quality.html
Relevancy 74.39%

i had a hp pavilion probook 4530 and i would be in my room and i never had an issue with my wifi connection, but now  i got a new hp and when i am in my room i have between little o no signal and i have to sit in the front house to use my laptop. i need some help. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/wifi-signal-issues/td-p/5605452
Relevancy 74.39%

Hey guys,

I have this problem and i hope you could help

So.. my WiFi signal so far was very good and sutently my wifi signal is so weak
I used to have a full connection in my room now i have just one bar or none. I go next to the router to connect and i get 3 or 4 bars..

Can anyone help me ?
Thank you

A:Weak Wifi signal

Hi,

Before we do any troubleshooting, one thing you can try to do if you have not already tried is restarting your router. Also, is this happening to any other devices in your home?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/335922-weak-wifi-signal.html
Relevancy 74.39%

i have just found out that my wifi signal is being seen all over my estate all though i have wpa security turned on and i have just turned off broadcast ssid i would like to turn the strength of the router down if that is possible.it is a belkin54g.cant think of the mn at this moment.

A:wifi signal too strong.

if it has WPA on it, what's the problem? In a few routers I have used there is a power level, usually 0%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%. Don't worry about it, no-one can hack WPA, consider WPA2 if your router and clients can support it for the extra safe touch.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-signal-too-strong.563826/
Relevancy 74.39%

I use no wifi. I don't want to use wifi.
What I want to do is test to make sure I'm not transmitting any wifi signal.
Is their a way I can test no signal is being transmitted even when I have no wifi set up in windows.
My router is a Asus RT-N12.
Both antenna's are remove and tin foil over the connections.

No I'm not crazy.

A:Make sure no wifi signal HOW.

Well; one would think as long as at least the antennas are removed; you should not be transmitting any wifi signal. Also; one thing you could do is completely reset the router to defaults and then go in and make sure the wifi is not turned on and if it is just turn it off.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/333646-make-sure-no-wifi-signal-how.html
Relevancy 74.39%

today i bought hp 250 g4 with no os .i installed windows 10 but i have a very weak wifi signal.im two meters from the router and i dont get signal.i have to get exacly near router to get 2-3 bars.I connected an usb wifi adapter i had and i updated and acticated windows and then i restarted the laptop and removed usb adapter and internal wifi adapter has still weak signal

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/very-weak-wifi-signal/td-p/5649009
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi Windows bit running more or less happily for a year or so Used via ethernet in one location and wifi in occasional other location via an external antenna When I try wireless in the main ethernet location I get arond or so SSIDs show up ranging 60% dropped Wifi 70% Signal - by from bars down to All has been fine until a few weeks ago when I started to get huge difficulties connecting to wifi in the occasional location Often say I could get a connection but no connection to the internet Less often say I'd get a connection to the internet that lasted maybe minutes before disconnecting Rarely lt I got a connection that held together for minutes or more So I tried in the ethernet location switched of my router wifi 'cos is swamped everything and I get maybe SSID showing up whereas before there were at least When I try to connect to that I get quot Windows was unable to connect quot and the spinning blue wheel I notice in device manager a couple of Virtual Wifi Miniports and have appeared No idea what they do The event log has a lot of Service Contol Manager events but no errors that seem Wifi Signal dropped by 60% - 70% relevant IPCONFIG shows Code Windows IP Configuration Host Name HPDv Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R Centrino R Wireless-N Physical Address - C- - A- -FD DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address A -B -CC- -AD- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d a db c fd Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained September Lease Expires September Default Gateway fe ff fe c DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - B- - -E -A -B -CC- -AD- DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter VirtualBox Host-Only Network Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter Physical Address - - - - - DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe bf de de Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - B- - -E -A -B -CC- -AD- DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap B - E- F -B D- AAFB BB BF Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap FB D - D F- D-B E - A BD Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap CF C-F - BD- D -E E B CFD Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap EBA E-CDF - C - F- F E A Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Windows system gt I have no systemrestore points back before this all started Ioriginally thought it was to do with the hotspot to which I was connecting Any ideas welcome but think Im headed for a repair install PS I just tried an external antenna and the signal strength is way down on what it used to be So it does seem something software in hte PC is screwing things up but I have no idea where to start looking So I guess I start uninstallling things and work backward... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/380405-wifi-signal-dropped-60-70-a.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi, am currently using a HP Pavilion g6 2307tx but getting really weak wifi signals in my room. Only able to get about 2-3 bars every time while my other laptop can go up to full bars. Any help/solution would be greatly appreciated! 

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Weak WIFI Signal

Welcome to the HP Forum, Rascal. Discussion on the Subject of Signal Strength Bars by themselves can be somewhat meaningless, UNLESS you can interpret the definition of what each "bar" indicates. Signals are affected by the type of router you have - routers are NOT equal. The less expensive router might lack the support necessary for the best performance of the wireless card in your computer. Example: An older router that only supports 802.11g is not going to provide faster than 54Mbps -- even if you have the best card you can buy in your computer. The opposite can be true as well - a good router cannot provide better service than the computer's wireless can support.Example:  If the card in your computer is 802.11g, then even if you have a Router capable of speeds upwards of 300Mbps, you are only going to get 54Mbps. The speed and range are limited by the weakest link in the chain.  802.11n is faster than the "g", but it too can be slowed down by walls, metal furniture, and other obstructions.  Moving your equipment, even a few inches, might make the difference to a 802.11g routerANDThe same might be true for an 802.11n router that has a weak (underpowered) antenna Antennas in routers are NOT equal.  Weak antennas in fancy routers can still equal a whimpy router.  You want a router with a 5db to 7db antenna (or better if they make such by the time you read this).  Assuming you purchased the biggest, baddest, best wireless available for your computer, then you may need to upgrade your router. Bars Vs. Signal StrengthBars might indicate how well things are moving along, or they may cloud the issue -- depends on the "bars":  who is generating the bars, how sensitive are the bars, and can you tell much from a bar anyway? You might use another measurement:  Signal strength as measured in percentages, detection, and type:WirelessNetView v1.50 - Wireless Network Monitoring Tool WirelessNetView works on Windows 7 and Windows 8 -- there are some issues with XP:  read the review by the author. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- You can try updating / reinstalling your Wireless driver.  Might help - might be a waste of time.  If you have already done, this doing it again and again won't help -- so I won't recommend it. Reading: Notebooks - Troubleshoot Internet or E-mail Connection on a Wireless Network with Windows 7 Windows 8 Stops Responding or Becomes Very Slow After Connecting to the Internet  Reference: Description 802.11n 802.11a 802.11gApproved DateEst June 201020012003Frequency Band2.4GHz5.0 GHz2.4GHzSpeed100-200MbpsUp to 54 Mbps*Up to 54 MbpsEstimated 128MbpsEstimated 128Mbps27 Mbps20-25 MbpsRange 1230ft range60 ft range100 ft rangeModulation Techniquemultiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) and Channel-bonding/40 MHzOrthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM)Spread Spectrum (DSSS/PBCC)Interference Issues Less interference than 802.11b or gIncreased interference (portable phones, microwaves, ovens, etc.)Product MaturityOfficial Specification to be finalized in June 2010 Official specification finalized in June 2003Distance Between Access Points Approx. every 50 ftDepends on configurationBiggest AdvantageHighest speed and rangeHigher speedHigher speed coupled with 802.11b compatibility  I hope this helps you track down the issue. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=Click the Kudos Star!  It is a great ?Thank You? for the Author's efforts.Solved?  Click my Answer "Accept as Solution" to help others find a Fix.=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=   

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Weak-WIFI-Signal/td-p/2843263
Relevancy 74.39%

My laptop's WiFi is very weak, and sometimes it just loses it.
No more warranty. I believe it's hardware related and not driver or software.
If I can reach the network card, is it possible to maybe mod it, add some antenna to it, a wire, or anything you can think of to increase the signal?

Thanks

A:Bad WiFi signal, any physical mod I can do?

There are more reasons for poor wifi reception than just a poor or defective antennae in the laptop (a rare problem BTW).

The system starts with your router, or modem/router, or whatever you are using to broadcast the wireless signal to all your devices. This is where you should start when diagnosing this problem.

You could be in your own home and using your own router, or in a college dorm and using your building's router, or in a coffee shop using theirs. But in any case it comes down to the type and age of the modem, it's wireless protocol, and your distance from the router (A wireless g signal does not travel as far as a wireless n signal).

Next comes interference - electromagnetic signals and reflective materials that interfere with the wireless signal. Steel framed walls and wireless phone systems are notorious problem makers.

And then there is bandwidth traffic. If you live in an apartment complex with many individual routers in the vicinity, and many are using the same wireless channel you are, then you will get poor performance.
There are programs you can install that will sniff out the wireless traffic in your area and help you to decide which channel is best to be on for less interference.

Bottom line: we need a lot more information in order to help you with your particular problem. The more information you give up, the better help you will get.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/39330-bad-wifi-signal-any-physical-mod-i-can-do.html
Relevancy 74.39%

How can I go about improving my wifi signal through walls? My router is located in my living room beside my computer. When I'm upstairs my wifi signal diminishes. This is frustrating and I was wondering how I could go about boosting the signal strength when upstairs.
By the way, I don't have a cheap router. The ASUS RT-N66U is my router of choice.

A:Wifi Signal Through Wall?

Try disabling the 5 GHz band and just use only 2.4 GHz radio since 2.4 GHz can penetrate walls much better than 5 GHz band.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/32454-wifi-signal-through-wall.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I work part time as a security guard stationed in Wifi increase How signal. to a security booth I have a laptop and would like to be able to pick up a Wifi signal in the booth The booth is across the road and about a How to increase Wifi signal. hundred yards from my brother s house He has a Linksys Wireless rounter Not sure what model but blue with a couple of antennas on it He has told me that I could use his wifi signal in my security booth if I could somehow get it on my laptop Currently I cannot detect his wireless network from my security booth although I do have a clear view of his house His router is in the back of his house from where my security booth is and the house and secuirty booth are around a hundred yards away from each other But I cannot get the signal I would be willing to purchase whatever equipment that I needed to be able to get the signal I have heard that linksys makes an expander that will amplify the signal Could I perhaps use that some way with the router in his house and then get some kind of super antenna for my laptop I would even be willing to buy him another router if this wouild do it What would be the best way to approach this problem and any equipment suggestions would be welcome thanks Ron nbsp

Relevancy 74.39%

hiii i have a problem to my wifi signal strenght from this afternoon.
before i have getting 5 of 5 bars in my wifi signal i used another wifi router for one day .
now i trying to connect to my old wifi it was not connecting ,if connect also signal strenght is 2 of 5
my friends getting 5 of 5.wifi router distance is 20ft only.
my lap is dell inspiron15 3537..pls help me to get my wifi .

A:wifi signal strength

It depends on what router the old one is. It helps to post the manufacturer & model of the old router you are having problems with.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/53114-wifi-signal-strength.html
Relevancy 74.39%

My laptop's WiFi is very weak, and sometimes it just loses it.
No more warranty. I believe it's hardware related and not driver or software.
If I can reach the network card, is it possible to maybe mod it, add some antenna to it, a wire, or anything you can think of to increase the signal?

Thanks

A:Bad WiFi signal, any physical mod I can do?

There are more reasons for poor wifi reception than just a poor or defective antennae in the laptop (a rare problem BTW).

The system starts with your router, or modem/router, or whatever you are using to broadcast the wireless signal to all your devices. This is where you should start when diagnosing this problem.

You could be in your own home and using your own router, or in a college dorm and using your building's router, or in a coffee shop using theirs. But in any case it comes down to the type and age of the modem, it's wireless protocol, and your distance from the router (A wireless g signal does not travel as far as a wireless n signal).

Next comes interference - electromagnetic signals and reflective materials that interfere with the wireless signal. Steel framed walls and wireless phone systems are notorious problem makers.

And then there is bandwidth traffic. If you live in an apartment complex with many individual routers in the vicinity, and many are using the same wireless channel you are, then you will get poor performance.
There are programs you can install that will sniff out the wireless traffic in your area and help you to decide which channel is best to be on for less interference.

Bottom line: we need a lot more information in order to help you with your particular problem. The more information you give up, the better help you will get.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/39330-bad-wifi-signal-any-physical-mod-i-can-do.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I did see big eric s post A53 Wifi Signal bad Asus about removing the Wireless Console software which interfered with wifi access I removed it and regained wifi access for about minutes After that the problem reverted I am unable Asus A53 bad Wifi Signal to connect to any routers unless I am right next to them whereas all of my friend s laptops and my phone have no problem connecting Any thoughts on what to try I ve already checked to make sure that the wifi switch is on I ve ran the troubleshooter in Control Panel - gt Network and Internet multiple times What s strange is that Asus A53 bad Wifi Signal this problem started last Monday and the signal got worse and worse until these last few days when I ve been entirely unable to connect to any router I ve also removed any security software that I m aware of on my computer McAfee Norton AVG Avast I know the last resort is to wipe the drive and re-install Windows but I d rather not as I have a lot of information on here and don t have the time right now to back it up nbsp

A:Asus A53 bad Wifi Signal

Try using Windows Defender only... Have you had any luck with this so far?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asus-a53-bad-wifi-signal.212902/
Relevancy 74.39%

I'm not sure exactly what changed, but over the past few months, my WiFi signal has gotten so much weaker and it fluctuates way too often. Literally, one second my strength is Excellent and the next it's Low. It's so frustrating. What can I do to strengthen my signal? FYI it's an open connection so no one needs a password to tap into it. Should I password protect it? Will it make a difference?

I'm not great with hardware, but FYI:

We have two routers on one computer: a Linksys and TPLink and a Netgear router on another one.

A:How can I strengthen my WiFi signal?

Hi -Personally, I would first contact my Internet Service Provider for details on any local problems, and "how to secure your connection".Next ensure your Antivirus program is fully updated and scanning, just to be sure there are no problems -Regards -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/457433/how-can-i-strengthen-my-wifi-signal/
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi I ve been experiencing something weird with my Wifi connectivity Ill try to explain as best I can I m on a PC desktop running windows and there are basically two ways I ve been using to connect to my router A Network card that s connected to my motherboard specifically the Linksys WMP N Wireless N PCI Adapter B Tethered connection - I hop on the wireless with wifi signal? Help card using Help with wifi card signal? my Macbook Pro then allow sharing of connection through ethernet line and connect it to my PC My Macbook is then placed on top of my PC so the location is essentially the same Using method Help with wifi card signal? A the connection can get very shaky as an example there are times when this connection gets really slow ie sometimes my game connection will slow drastically just from loading pandora or even a web page Other times it is just slow in general If I switch to method B it becomes a completely different world Help with wifi card signal? not only is the game showing me a faster connection - ms vs anywhere from - average using method A I can be streaming netflix and browsing a web page at the same time and it won t be affected So my question is what about setup A can be improved or what is causing it to have such drastic difference in connection speed I don t want to stay on a tethered connection so I want to figure out the issue is it something with the setup Maybe I just need a better network card If so what kind of card am I looking for that can avoid this problem Also the macbook pro I have was bought from last year Any advice is appreciated let me know if there s any other details I can provide Thanks nbsp

A:Help with wifi card signal?

Is the PCI wireless' antenna up fairly high with as clear a path to the router as the laptop has?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-wifi-card-signal.1055090/
Relevancy 74.39%

Hey TechGuys!

I live in a trailer park with a public connection which is terrible. We recently purchased a 12 dbi hi-gain directional antenna to improve the situation. The first day the antenna was connected we got double the bars, my download speed tripled, we found three more signals that the other card didn't pick up, and discovered the ability for uninterrupted online gaming. On the second day however, it went back to the same crappy signal as before. What could be the explanation for this?

Relevancy 74.39%

hello
is there any way i can boost a wifi sgnal.i have a cheap tablet which connects to my wifi when i am in the same room as the modem.the minute i go to the next room the tablet loses the wifi signal.please help

A:boost wifi signal

Hello,

Here's some tips from Microsoft's website on boosting wifi signal. Some of these ideas seem like they might work for you. Here's the link http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx#fbid=ItwYczqIMTp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boost-wifi-signal.1089186/
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi guys, I have a Cisco dual band wireless router that I previously bought to cater for my house network to support older device that runs on wireless G and new devices that runs wireless N.
One set to N only on 5Ghz
Another set to Mix mode on 2.4Ghz

Now that all my older devices has all being replaced with devices that supports wireless N.
If I disable one band, and enable only one, the N-only mode on 5Ghz. Will it help boost the signal or network in any way? If not, is there anything that I can do to fully utilize the dual band capability of the router since that now I do not need to run dual band.

Thanks. (Sorry if my questions sounds stupid, I'm not so good in this tech stuff)

A:Boosting wifi signal

No, your question is valid 100%, it isnt stupid. The only downside about 5GHz, is its range. The 2.4GHz band has been around longer and the 5GHz one is still an emerging technology. I had a dual band router in the past before I switched to an ISP that forces their own router on your, and I noticed no noticeable difference in performance. The 2.4GHz is fine for any average user. I would distribute the more heavily used to devices to the 2.4GHz band since it is more consistant. the 5GHz band can be used for any device that is connection heavy (Skype calling, etc.). Keep in mind though, a lot of computers and devices still dont support the 5GHz band, you will notice this when you search for routers/connections on your devices.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/boosting-wifi-signal.192756/
Relevancy 74.39%

Hello everyone,

A couple weeks ago i got a wifi max so i could connect my wii to the internet and all this time i have been tryign to solve the limited or no connectivity probelm and i finally did but now my signal strength is 0 and i dont have any ideas how to get it higher so help would be appreciated

Relevancy 73.53%

I'm a WiFi novice trying to administer a WiFi network in a wooded campground. Needless to say, the trees and aluminum siding on the RV's create challenges getting usable signals to our campers.

The management console shows the signal strength each repeater/access point receives from every other repeater/access point. Typically a pair of units show similar signal strength between each other (with minor variation probably caused by slight differences in transmitter power and receiver sensitivity). However, sometimes certain linked units show widely different signal strength between each other. It is sometime different by a factor of 2 or 3, with the max strength unusually high and the min strength unusually low. The low signal obviously disrupts the performance of the system.

Would someone please tell me likely causes for these differences.

Thanks

FredVN

Relevancy 73.53%

I have an HP Desktop Pavilion P6000 in the office. I had 5 bars on my Wifi network. I decided to move my desk around and when I restart the computer, it's gone down to 2 bars. I have to assume that something moved while everything was being shifted around, and I've had to set up a LAN connection in the meantime.

I brought it home and it's the same problem on my home network. I've opened it up, made sure everything's all intact and nothing had loosened. I can't find any problems. I've also updated all the network drivers, ran all the diagnostic tests, etc, but there are no errors.

Can anyone suggest what else I could try?

Thank you.

A:Low Wifi signal after office move

I would guess that you have broken the aerial or the wire inside it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/low-wifi-signal-after-office-move.1144673/
Relevancy 73.53%

I receive a very powerful wifi signal (with her permission!) from a neighbor while using an alfa wireless usb adapter on my desktop pc (windows 7). I'd like to repeat this signal throughout my house. I have a Linksys WRT54G V3 wireless router. I'm wondering if repeating the wifi is possible with the equipment I have, if not, what else must I purchase? (if it is possible, please tell me what I must do or where I could find the instructions).. Thanks a lot in advance!

A:Repeating a neighbor's WIFI signal

It is almost certainly a violation of your neighbors Internet Service Provider's terms of service for her to share it outside her house, so I am afraid we can't help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/repeating-a-neighbors-wifi-signal.930467/
Relevancy 73.53%

Windows 10 (had the same issue on Win 7) HP EliteBook Laptop Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 I am constantly dropping the wifi signal on this laptop. I dont believe it is the modem as I have checked my phone when I have lost the signal and the phone can still surf the net. I have also checked other devices and they seem to be working fine. I notice it the most when I am playing a game or streaming video. But it also happens when I'm surfing the net and checking email.  So far I have tried updating the drivers, making sure everything else on here was up to date, I installed a driver locator from hp to make sure that everything was all good (it says it was) I looked through device manager to see if there were any issues, and now I'm out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated, this is starting to get annoying

A:Constantly dropping my wifi signal

Here are a few options:

Change the power setting on the device:

Device Manager
Locate your wireless card and right click>Properties>Power Managment,
uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn this device off to save power"

If nothing then:

Open Command Prompt(As Admin) and type:

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconifg/release
ipconfig/renew

If nothing still then:
try resetting your Winsock settings and disable IPv6 (unless you need it)

Reset Winsock:

Start up notepad and copy and paste this into notepad:

@echo off
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset reset.log  
echo You now have to reboot your PC!   
pause

Then save it on your Dessktop as "winsockreset.bat" (or whatever you please) just make sure it's a .bat file,
Save on desktop
Close Notepad
Run it.

Try Them out one by one and see if any of those fix the issue. Goodluck and let us know!

-ViperSec

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617998/constantly-dropping-my-wifi-signal/
Relevancy 73.53%

My mom's friend brought over her laptop and said "All of a sudden the WiFi stopped working". So I turned it on and I looked at the device manager. It said it was working fine and that no new software was needed. Then I checked to see if the laptop had a switch to turn the WiFi off, but it didn't. I looked more through it and I am very confused. All it says is that there is no networks available. It's a gateway from best buy running Windows Vista (Sorry for coming here I do know the website is windows 7). The Model Number is: MD7818u

A:WiFi doesn't pick up a signal

New issue. It doesn't want to boot at all for some odd reason!

Edit: Trying to let Startup Repair fix it, but I doubt it will help

Edit: Ok so now when I boot it there is a black screen with the mouse and it's stuck there (even in safe mode). Are there any suggestions on what to do now?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/196960-wifi-doesnt-pick-up-signal.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi,
So iwas wondering if there is a way to check the signal strengh of your wifi by percentage.
Thanks

A:Is There A Way To Check WIFI Signal Strengh

inSSIDer. You can get the 3.x edition for free still at MetaGeek Software Archives | MetaGeek For $19 for the 4.x version is well worth it. You are supporting the writer to keep writing a good software package.

Now of course the one command a lot of people tend to not use in the Windows Command window is "netsh wlan show all" (do not use the quotes, just the whole command as written). It will not only show you your A/P & Channel it is on, but any that your WiFi card picks up.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/43324-there-way-check-wifi-signal-strengh.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi folks,

Just looking for some advice (again ).

Moved house. went to set up ps3 and see that the wifi signal is particularly bad (30%) for online.
There is no possible way of getting the router near the ps3.

I am think that a pair of tp-link powerlines may play a role here, but may be mistaken. What are peoples experiences. would something like that increase ps3 signal? would 200mbps or 500mbps be better (they do diffferent models). I understand that it would make the connection for the ps3 wired, but am I right in thinking the laptop would just operate over wifi as it does already?

I just read you can get wireless powerlines as well.....aaaaaaaaa the stress of such much infor and gizmos. any hlep very much appreciated.

Cheers

A:ps3 networking - poor wifi signal

The performance of powerline adapters depends on the quality of the electrical system. You may get fabulous results, no connection at all, or anywhere between. Don't know any way to predict your results; buy a set of adapters that can be returned.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ps3-networking-poor-wifi-signal.1076377/
Relevancy 73.53%

So I have a super weird issue going on here.

I live in a house where there is a wifi network, umm its through comcast but i know nothing about the router itself, just that i cannot connect to the network, everyone else in the house gets 5 bars from the signal but i get only 1-2 and cannot stay connected.

Now i can connect just fine to my own wireless hotspot on my phone, from the library or starbucks,and everyone else can connect to the home network with no issue, except for me....

does anyone know why this might be?

Asus gaming laptop
windows 10 operating system
not sure what else info is needed i'm not very tech oriented just want to connect to my home network and i can't and everyone else can

A:My wifi signal on my laptop is messed up

everyone else in the house gets 5 bars from the signal but i get only 1-2 and cannot stay connected.Click to expand...

And that is when you are next to each other ?

It may be worth looking to see if a new driver is available

Whats the exact model of the ASUS Laptop

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-wifi-signal-on-my-laptop-is-messed-up.1164864/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hello So About months back I made the move from one state to another And I never before had in the past had problems with my WIFI signal IffY WIFI could problems? these be the Signal, I have a IffY WIFI Signal, could these be the problems? HP -F wm that I have had for about years now And Like I said never had a problem with the Wifi That was until I made the move about months ago and the lid screen of my laptop got shut a little hard I didn't see any visual damage and IffY WIFI Signal, could these be the problems? it ran and connected to the internet just fine and it showd all my Wifi signal bars at full strenth So I didn't really worry about it to much Very Very Stupid of me I know nbsp Well it was running fine even after the move until about a week ago when I did a complete System Restore because I didn't like using Windows as much as Windows because It was giving me problems and I has already past the day thing of being able to revert back to Windows after installing Windows So I just wiped my Harddrive and Reinstalled Windows Well after that now it shows my Wifi signal has lost a bar and it only goes all the way up when I am near the Router I already ran the HP Network Check on HP Support Assistant And Trouble Shooting option on the Signal indicator and both came back clean and couldn't find a problem And As far as I know I am updated on my Drivers I even unplugged the router and waited for five minuets before plugging it back hopping that would fix the problem which it didn't as I stated earlier the problem only fixed and the signal strength goes all the way up when I am downstairs next to the router then it goes away when I walk away from the router and upstairs to go to my room with my laptop So is this just a distance thing and I need to relocate my Router closer to my bedroom possibly move it into my bedroom I have no other problems besides of the Signal indicator going down when I walk away from the Router so instead of a Distance problem could it be where the Lid of my laptop go shut a little to hard and it damaged the WLAN Antenna Because like I said the problem doesn't prosist the closer I move towards the Router it goes away and the Signal strength is perfectly fine the Distance Issue nbsp WLAN Antenna Issue Wifi Card Issue Please help as I want my laptop fixed I don't want to loose my laptop over something as stupid as not getting it looked after just because I didn't have the money when the Lid shut a little to hard SORRY FOR THE LONG POST I JUST WANT MY LAPTOP FIXED IF POSSIBLE

A:IffY WIFI Signal, could these be the problems?

Hi Let's look at what is different / changed on the Lappy (and what hasn't). HOME 1 Lappy worked with W10 and W 8, no faults or defects or difficulties. HOME 2 Lappy worked with W10                  , no faults or defects or difficulties.HOME 2 Lappy works with W 8 and there are   faults or defects or difficulties. The problem is Range on the Home (so don't ask Dr Brewster M. Higley), but look elsewhere, visual clues.    So there is a possibility of Antennae damage, or even Wi-Fi card cracks, but lets consider the possibility that the area is flooded with signals.  The troubleshooter recommends changing channel / frequency to somewhere where" the sky is not cloudy all day." AAND for that I use inSSIDer to find a clear channel, mine is the big blue Hoop on channel 11, insidder is herehttp://inssider.en.softonic.com/download. It shouldn't be a driver issue, but since there are a whole slew of new ones here, http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-f000-notebook-pc-series/7137590/model/7174227#... it would be good to make a restore point and do all the updates. If in doubt, or if you think I've left something out, please ask.

Happy 2 [email protected]

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/IffY-WIFI-Signal-could-these-be-the-problems/td-p/5617973
Relevancy 73.53%

Hello.
I'm using windows 8.1 and my wifi connection drops down to 1 or 2 bars often. The best wifi signal I get is 3 bars.
I was wondering if you could help me fix this because right now I have to use an ethernet cable to get good connection.
I get good signal on my laptop but not on this PC.
Thank you.

A:Windows 8.1 weak wifi signal.

How far are you from the wifi accesspoint? If the wifi came preinstalled on the device. Who is the manufacturer and what is the model number of your laptop? What is the manufacturer and model of the Gateway you are using for your network? Is it your ISP's that you rent it from, or did you purchase the Gateway?

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/67671-windows-8-1-weak-wifi-signal.html
Relevancy 73.53%

So I Google Searched every possible solution and nothing really helped I even went to the point going to the configure in Network Adapter Settings gt Configure gt Ticked off Allowed The Computer To Turn Off This Device To Save Power It worked For minutes or so then the Wifi kept on dropping out I've Restarted and Done All The Router Stuff That Other Blogs Suggested Still Nothing Wifi continuously Drives me insane now keeps losing on strength signal Wifi it drops to bars of signal all the time I also did ipconfig flushdns and that didn't work either though i was hoping it would but anyway I have port forwarded my IP so I can play Mine Craft with my cousin but other than That I have No idea why it just drops constantly in wifi signal all the time If Anybody else knows what I can do to get it staying bars signal Strength and not drop when I'm watching Netflix or playing Mine Craft or Battlefield Multi Player Please let me know what else I can do if they need my Wire Less info name of it it is Intel R Dual Band Wireless-AC and yes it Wifi keeps on losing signal strength is up to date in patches and etc it worked fine even in Windows Home and Windows Home but as soon as I grabbed Windows Home Update it just keeps on doing this annoying bug So Please may Some One Help me

A:Wifi keeps on losing signal strength

What type of router are you using? Which band are you using? How far are you from the router? This may be interference from neighboring WiFi WAPs on the same channel. Download one of the free WiFi monitoring apps from the Windows Store such as WiFi Analyzer to see what your WiFi environment looks like. The pick a channel that has less interference and set your router to use that channel (rather than picking one automatically).
Post your responses to these questions, including what your WiFi environment looks like.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/40583-wifi-keeps-losing-signal-strength.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi. We've just upgraded our WiFi system at home, adding another router in order to strengthen the signal. I've now got full bars on my Macbook, but weak signal on my WIN PC and Android phone.
Any idea why this is happening?
Cheers!

A:WiFi signal strong on Mac weak on Win PC

Have you tried changing the router's wireless channel from 6 to 11 or 11 to 6, for example?

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/wifi-signal-strong-mac-weak-win-pc-4608377/
Relevancy 73.53%

I started having an issue with my laptop lately, when i open lid more than 90 degree wifi signal drops drasticlly and as soon as i close it back to 90 degree or less wifi signal goes back to max bars, I opened my laptop once just to check if antenas are disconected or something but they were in place and they looked OK i didn't spot anything, does anyone know what could be the problem. Thanks in advance.

A:Wifi signal dropping(1 bar even though i'm 4 meters away) wh...

@AndroiD10? Product Name: Hp envy notebookOperating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit) Commentary Typical of many types of notebook, the wireless antennas are loated in the display area and the base (connections) are located on the motherboard.  ExampleHP Envy 17-n100 - 17 -n199 Service and Maintenance ManualChapter 2, Page 8Page 20,Chapter 6, Page 36 If you open the notebook beyond ninety degrees and the WiFi drops then something is indeed obstructing the signal:  loose connection, obscured signal due to notebook construction, partially crushed wire / connector.  If the notebook is supposed to be opened beyond ninety degrees due to the model and type of hinge arrangement -- and / or if the unit is under warranty -- contact HP Technical Support and ask the question. HP Contact Information ? Sales, Technical Support, other Contacts -  USA / CanadaContact HP ? USA - Assistance HP Tech support/ Customer Service  ? Some English Speaking CountriesIncluding UK and Europe HP Customer Support - Product Warranty Check  When you see a Post that helps you,Inspires you, provides fresh insight,Or teaches you something new,Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post. Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Wifi-signal-dropping-1-bar-even-though-i-m-4-meters-away/td-p/5759075
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi, am struggling to pick up wifi signals around the house with my Xperia Play. I am looking to improve router signal strength, the router isn't the problem but it is the only way to improve signal. I have done the obvious, moved stuff around (including router), checked cordless phones frequency, am just looking to increase its range but am not sure how as the antennas are internal.

A:Improve wifi signal range.

Quote: Originally Posted by Prof Kerfuffle

Hi, am struggling to pick up wifi signals around the house with my Xperia Play. I am looking to improve router signal strength, the router isn't the problem but it is the only way to improve signal. I have done the obvious, moved stuff around (including router), checked cordless phones frequency, am just looking to increase its range but am not sure how as the antennas are internal.

What router? 802.11 b,g,n?

If one specific area isnt covered you may be able to increase range by either an "induction" antenna, a repeated or second router, or an "N" router if yours isnt already.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/182316-improve-wifi-signal-range.html
Relevancy 73.53%

The signal appears excellent, however the internet doesn't work. Well, a few details. The router is in the basement, 3 floors up is the computer receiving the signal. I have an extender on the second floor that's 54mbps, however on the computer it says "Excellent 108Mbps" or something of the like. I'm not entirely sure what's going on, another user can connect to the wifi on the network. Any ideas?

Relevancy 73.53%

I just purchased this laptop yesterday and I'm unsure why I'm receiving such terrible signals and receiving poor signal at my girlfriend's house as well. I'm getting two - three bars on my home network that is one room away from me.

A:XPS 13 2015 Poor WiFi Signal.

I rolled back driver to version 6.30.223.227 and it works perfectly now. 
Go to Device Manager --> Network adapters --> Dell 1560 802.11ac --> Driver --> Roll Back Driver
It seems to work by now...

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19630537
Relevancy 73.53%

I recently had Comcast XFinity internet installed and I am running wireless throughout the house. I am not able to move my wireless Xfinity router.
I have come up with a problem of signal strength in one area of the house. I was hoping I could use my old Linksys E2500 router as a Bridge and boost the signal into the other area of my home. Can I do this wireless ? Can I link the Linksys router to the Xfinity router wireless and then have the Linksys router transmit the signal on from it's location to the other area of the house ?

Thanks for your help

A:Solved: Boost WiFi Signal

Yes, if the Linksys has Range Extender (Repeater) mode.

Yes, if there is third party firmware (e.g., DD-WRT or Tomato) for the Linksys.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-boost-wifi-signal.1145187/
Relevancy 73.53%

I receive a very powerful wifi signal (with her permission!) from a neighbor while using an alfa wireless usb adapter on my desktop pc (windows 7). I'd like to repeat this signal throughout my house. I have a Linksys WRT54G V3 wireless router. I'm wondering if repeating the wifi is possible with the equipment I have, if not, what else must I purchase? (if it is possible, please tell me what I must do or where I could find the instructions).. Thanks a lot in advance!

A:Repeating a neighbor's WIFI signal.

You need to discuss this matter with your neighbor and her IP.

This thread is now closed.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/repeating-a-neighbors-wifi-signal-491663.html