Windows Support Forum

PC Case Power Switch & Burning smell

Q: PC Case Power Switch & Burning smell

PC & Burning Case Power Switch smell PC Problem Hi I recently built a new PC for a family member but I have one problem the old motherboard fried due to a power surge couple of days back I refitted a new motherboard but am having problems with the Case Power Switch I know where is goes on the motherboard but not which way I know which is plus and minus on the motherboard but can identify which PC Case Power Switch & Burning smell is which on the wire at the back of the wire it has a small arrow on one side and nothing on the other Normally I have a sheet which identifies the plus and minus that come with the case PC Problem On another PC which I have built for someone else I could smell burning and I can t identify what is wrong I have built a few PC s but first time this has happened could it just be because its a new motherboard Thanks in Advance nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: PC Case Power Switch & Burning smell

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: PC Case Power Switch & Burning smell

Case power switches, reset switches have no polarity needs. Plug them in anyway you want. Burning smells coming from computers is never a "normal" or good thing

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-case-power-switch-burning-smell.119443/
Relevancy 89.44%

I just installed a new Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-450 ATX12V 450W Power Supply in my computer 2 days ago. Now I am noticing a faint burning smell. I opened up the case while it is running and see no problem with the wires or connections. The smell specifically comes from the power supply fan on the back of the case. Is this normal or is the power supply faulty? I'm hoping its just some residue burning off and it will go away, don't really feel like replacing it again.....Anyone have any ideas?

Relevancy 89.44%

Hi everyone Appreciate any PC now up - power - won't smell Desktop burning initial insights on this Was online using a VOIP program as well as playing an online game Smelled a burning smell and then the computer just shut down About a week before that for the very first time my computer took a while to restart Desktop PC - burning smell - won't power up now just hanging on the windows logo screen I had to shut it down and reboot and everything was fine No updates were being installed at the time Not sure if it was related but it was the first time this machine had done that This machine was built in late June of So far Tried a new PSU with it Corsair AX platinum Tested the voltage on the CMOS battery popped it out for a few minutes tested it Tested the old PSU listed below with the green wire test No obvious damage on the mobo but currently about to start taking my build apart and taking a closer look at everything Specs Seasonic M II SS- AM W ATX V EPS V SLI Ready PLUS Bronze PSU EVGA ACX Cooler GeForece GTX R PCI Express SLI Support ASUS Z -PRO Wi-Fi ac LGA Intel Z HDMI SATA Desktop PC - burning smell - won't power up now Gb s USB ATX Intel mobo Crucial Ballistix Sport GB x GB -pin DDR SDRAM DDR Intel Core i - K haswell Quad-Core GHz LGA W Desktop PC - burning smell - won't power up now Crucial M GB SATA SS drive WD Blue TB hard drive rpm SATA Gb s MB cache Samsung SATA Gb- optical drive Cooler Master Hyper EVO-CPU cooler with mm PWM Fan Windows System Builder OEM bit Thanks in advance for the help nbsp

A:Desktop PC - burning smell - won't power up now

Additionally, the little power button on the mobo is red lit when plugged into the PSU. No beeps when trying to turn it on. Fans don't run either. Speaker is installed on the mobo. When I do try and power up the machine after hooking up the PSU, I do hear a faint click, but nothing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-pc-burning-smell-wont-power-up-now.1156045/
Relevancy 76.11%

Can someone refer me to an online site that definately carries the power switch to mobo connector? I've searched and searched with no luck. Thanks

Relevancy 74.39%

I just purchased a computer and am building it myself. Finished putting it all together yesterday, plugged it in, the LED on the Mobo turned on aswell as a blue LED on the case, however, when I go to turn the computer on...nothing. It won't even start a boot sequence, nothing. I know the mobo is getting power, and I know the pins are working as my blue LED is plugged in where the Power SW and the Reset SW plug in aswell. Need a little help, not sure if the Power SW is plugged in wrong or what, but I currently have it plugged in like so I:::I:::I from left to right starting with the HDD LED then the Power SW then the Reset SW. Any help would be appreciated, as I'm lost.

Relevancy 70.52%

I smelt someting burning from the system case. While pc was on, the fan from the power supply was not turning. It is an antec power supply. The pc runs good, no sound or anything else. the power supply is new, so it's not dirty. Why is this?

Relevancy 70.52%

I have an HP Media Center m7480. I use it for my music, TV, and Movie entertainment. It has been great until about a week ago. There is now a electrical "hot" smell coming from the unit located at the top rear of the machine (main power cord plugs into it as well). The system still works, it just smells hot now. I dusted and cleared some potential ventilation issues, but I am sure the damage is already done and just need to replace what is burned.

I am a beginning Computer guy and would like to fix it myself. Do I need to replace that entire upper unit or can I find the exact piece that may be getting hot and replace it.

Also, what may be the best options to keep them from heating up so much in the future (other than better cleaning and dusting practices).

A:Burning smell

If it is continuous then you need to replace power supply.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/burning-smell.673356/
Relevancy 70.52%

Burning Smell

I am running a HP a600n, Win XP Home, 512 MB Ram, AMD 2700.

Today I started to smell something that resembles buring plastic. I could smell it coming out of the back of my PC and the power cord was somewhat hot to the touch. Not too hot to touch just hotter than I thought it should be. Anyway I opened up my PC and my video card is pretty hot. It is an old card, nvida 64mb, that I have been running for about a year, after being retired for several years. Are video cards usually hot to the touch? I thought it might be my power supply but that does have an overbearing smell and it is not hot to the touch. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Am I hurting my PC by running it and is my video card the possible culprit? Thanks in advance for your help.

Relevancy 70.52%

Well I was installing 4 more case fans ( not attached to my fan controller) next to my video card because I was overclocking it some. After I got done I plugged everything back in and booted my computer up. All my case fans started spinning fine then all of the sudden my cathode lights flicker and I immidiately unplugged the power from the tower. I then smelled a faint burning smell and a crackling noise, kind of like a monitor when you plug it in. Will overloading a power supply fry everything or will it just not work? WHen I was picking my computer up and putting it back on my desk I think i bent one of the cathode lights (would that short it out, then in turn short out my fan controller?).

Please note that I know for a fact that it was not my video card that caused the problem.

Relevancy 70.52%

For about a year and a half I have been running a Radeon on my machine but about a month ago I switched it out for a GTX The very first time the new card was under load I began to smell what I thought at the time was burnt dust as the GTX runs pretty hot under load The smell was a bit annoying and even abrasive enough to give me Burning Odd Smell Please -Help a scratchy throat during a prolonged gaming Odd Burning Smell -Help Please session thought it was in my head Fast forward about a month and the smell has only gotten worse I ve since cleaned out my case but that didn t help The GPU does run hot and the smell seemed to be originating from it so I put my Radeon back in to check and see if that would solve the problem It didn t the smell persisted Sniffing around my machine the smell seems to be coming from my PSU which made sense as the GTX requires a bit more power than the Radeon but I was under the impression that if a PSU was burning out or failing my PC wouldn t run and it was running just fine Basically I want to know if I should replace the PSU It s an Watt ATX PSU by Cyberpower I didn t think they made their own components Could that be the source of the smell or should I try something else first At V it says it runs A which should be enough to run the GTX just fine Any suggestions nbsp

Relevancy 70.52%

I noticed a faint burning smell in my PC so I checked the temperature and it read 50C not under load. So i decided to install my Asus Probe and I keep getting this flashing and beeping sound warning me that +12V out of threshold It's at 13,696V how do I get it down to normal???

Relevancy 70.52%

Hi Guys am starting to smell somthing like burning rubber not realy sure if its rubber when i on the pc there is no smell what so ever but when i run MW3 at full Graphics the smell starts so what is this smell ? is it the video card ?

A:Burning Smell

The chances are that one of the fans is burning up at high RPM. It could be the video card, heatsink, case, or even the power supply fan in that order. Isn't the smell more of an electricity related smell?

The chances of you getting burned in MW3 is discounted

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/265138-burning-smell.html
Relevancy 70.52%

hi, recently i hooked up my new 42" hdtv to my pc via hdmi cable. about 2 days after i smelled a burning smell coming from my pc.i cant exactly tell where its coming from. i would suspect the power supply or video card. i shut my pc off for a day and then started it up again. still smelled the burning smell but not as bad. did the tv make my video card use too much power or overheat it? any ideas? specs

windows7 homepremium 64bit
ultra lsp 650w p/s
xfx radeon 5750 hd 1 gb ddr3
4gb corsair ddr3 memory

A:burning smell from pc

Most likely coincidence.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/burning-smell-from-pc.1082625/
Relevancy 69.66%

I recently put together a computer after buy all the parts. I noticed that there was a weird smell, like burning plastic. The case that I'm using is a Thermaltake v9 Black and the power supply is a Corsair TX750W. I tested each fan individually to see which fan was producing the smell with only the power supply, using a paper clip, and it seemed that all 4 fans are producing the smell. Is this just a burn-in period for the fan that is creating the smell? Or is it that the fan is starting to burn out, even though it's completely new, like fresh out the box new.

Relevancy 69.66%

Updated memory on Diemension dell 1100. Put the sticks in wrong way. Turned on, no action
but a burning smell. Powered down and inserted chips correctly. PC ok now but would there have been any
permanent damage and is there a remote risk of the PC going on fire ?

A:Burning smell upgrading RAM

It's hard to see without me seeing it personally. If it's working OK now I'd continue to use it as normal. However obviously they're not designed to work with backwards memory hehe.

I'd do a backup of your data just in case, and then keep an eye on things and see how it goes. I doubt the machine will catch on fire. Check the motherboard for any signs of blown capacitors or scorch marks maybe?

Can't remember the last time I dealt with improperly installed memory and then tried to boot so sorry I can't offer up more suggestions.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/burning-smell-upgrading-ram.163931/
Relevancy 69.66%

My HP Pavilion Slimline s less than years old practically caught fire this morning nbsp I turned it on started it up and within minutes smoke came out the back and this horrible burning smell filled the air nbsp I turned the PC off and now it won't turn Burning Smell, Smoke back on nbsp The green nbsp Burning Smell, Smoke light does go on in the back when I connect it to the power supply but it does not start at all nbsp I opened up the side of the tower Burning Smell, Smoke and something in there definitely fried although I can't see exactly what it is nbsp It reeks of melted plastic and ash inside nbsp Tower was kept on top of a table completely out in the open nbsp So ventilation was more than adequate nbsp And as late as last night I still heard the fans going nbsp So those were fine as far as I know nbsp Motherboard looks OK too nbsp nbsp This is the first time I have ever had to replace a PC in such a short time frame And I bought an HP assuming it was a quality product nbsp Boy was I wrong nbsp The darn thing didn't even last TWO YEARS What a piece of junk nbsp Of course HP support tells me it will probably cost a few hundred dollars to send it to them to fix nbsp And Geek Squad wants just to look at it and diagnose the problem plus whatever parts and additional labor it takes to fix it nbsp Something in there will need to be replaced for sure nbsp So I may as well go buy a new tower nbsp Which nbsp of course will NOT be an HP nbsp nbsp And let's not even get started on what a pain in the neck it was to get the hard drive out so Burning Smell, Smoke I can have Geek Squad retrieve my files nbsp I practically had to rip the thing apart and my hands are covered in cuts from nbsp trying to squeeze my hands in there nbsp HP - you really need to make a better product nbsp Because you just lost a customer nbsp

A:Burning Smell, Smoke

Hello JOBeans0817, I am going to forward your thread to the appopriate team for review. No matter the age of the machine it shouldn't reach a point of smoking when turned on if it has been kept in good condition.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Burning-Smell-Smoke/td-p/1856539
Relevancy 69.66%

So I burning smell laptop have a compaq presario f laptop I always use the laptop on burning laptop smell a hard desk surface without clothes or stuff like that in the way Starting about - years ago it sometimes heated so much that it would shut off in the middle of operating It still does that now I then made sure to stack some books on the table and place the laptop on it or place in on my lap to increase the heat transfer by convection Sometimes it STILL would shut off if I leave it on for burning laptop smell a few hours and run lots of programs Anyways I began noticing more recently can't remember when could be a burning laptop smell few months or a year ago that it would sometimes give off a burning smell if I run a lot of programs I was too lazy to do anything about it since other than it running slowly there weren't any serious problems But now I've finally decided I may want to take some action I dont know where the heating and burning smell come from When the laptop gets hot its like that everywhere when I touch the bottom I tried disassembling the laptop and didn't notice any parts that seemed burnt but I've only removed the cover on the bottom I can see one of the fans and it appears really dusty I would have to continue disassembling to see all the other parts But to continue working I need to get remove the mm hex studs on one of the parts I checked a few nearby stores even Home Depot but none of them has it But a local computer repair store could remove it Is it worth it I don't feel comfortable with someone touching my laptop

A:burning laptop smell

hi there

it sounds to me that the main cooling fan has become inefficient, usually due to build up of dust and hair etc, stopping it revolving to cool well enough or even stopping it completely

i would say that you need to at least get the fan out and clean it, then reassemble and ensure its kicking in as it should by listening for activity from it or leaving the cover off, booting up the machine and watching for the fan movement

however if you have any doubts about doing this yourself, i'd definitely get it looked at professionally, a reputable repair company should easily be able to find the issue and responsibly sort it, overheating is one of the most common laptop hardware faults and as such is likely to be their bread and butter :-)

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/289830-burning-laptop-smell.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hey,So I've been dealing with my laptop smelling like burning plastic every time I use it. I don't have it plugged it to charge and it smells. The bottom is real hot to touch even though I give it room to cool.I've had other problems with it and was wondering if I could return it or do something about it. I've had the laptop less the one year.

A:Burning plastic Smell

#HPExpertDayTurn off the computer, unplug all attached cables and call HP Support ASAP.Not kidding...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Burning-plastic-Smell/td-p/5624575
Relevancy 69.66%

two years ago I built a PC for my uncle, a Gigabyte mobo, OCZ ram, XFX 8600GT, Core2Duo and a 425watt HiPER PSU

after 18 months he reported burning smell coming from the PSU....

what could this have been do you think?

he replaced it with an unbranded type from PC world that cost about £40 after I told him to stay away from cheap ones... I got the HiPER as I was under the impression they were a 'half' decent brand and would have done for his system....

its just im worried if its something else causing it and will it happen again with new one? - although cheap it looked sturdy with a 12cm fan

Relevancy 69.66%

Updated memory on Diemension dell 1100. Put the sticks in wrong way. Turned on, no action
but a burning smell. Powered down and inserted chips correctly. PC ok now but would there have been any
permanent damage and is there a remote risk of the PC going on fire ?

A:Burning smell upgrading ram

Well if it still works it probaly just got hot without burning anything out. Now that they are in correctly there should not by any more risk of fire than otherwise. Some component may have weakened and not last as long now however.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/burning-smell-upgrading-ram.991750/
Relevancy 68.8%

i upgraded my computer a couple days ago i had and somthing gig hardrives to begin with and hot/burning after smell upgrade Solved: i added a terrebite one i also upgraded my graphics card from an nvidia Geforce to a gt and replaced one of my mb ram with a gig one i wont be replacing the other one till i get the part they gave me the second Solved: hot/burning smell after upgrade one as laptop by mistake now within - min of starting my system there is a hot burning electronics smell i was wondering what would cause this the system does not shut itself down it still runs fine just im afraid of it ruining somthing or Solved: hot/burning smell after upgrade starting a fire original system was hp pavilion elite m f http h www hp com ewfrf wc amp lc en amp dlc en amp cc us amp product amp lang en i added Seagate sata quot Barracuda internal hardrive TB mb CACH rpm Nvidia Geforce GT GB DDR PNY GB DDR PC - Optima Memory nbsp

Relevancy 68.8%

Hi I have a backup pc with the following hardware CPU Intel Core Duo E GHz RAM GB DDR Dual Channel MHz Motherboard Asus P Q Pro GPU Ati Radeon HD X MHz MHz HDD GB rpm case fans power leds xDVDs ROM Powered by a NILOX W PSU Since I changed my GPU from a GeForce GTS to an HD X I noticed that my PSU makes a strange noise similar to an electrical quot beep quot when i use games or other applications which make the GPU work at high performance Today I launched GPU-Z's render test in fullscreen mode and after minutes hearing the quot beep quot from the PSU I also noticed that it was really hot and I noticed a light burning smell Immediatly I turned off my pc What should I smell burning PSU strange from noise and do now Should I replace the PSU with a new and better one I don't want to burn my pc the PSU has got only A at V

A:strange noise and burning smell from PSU

That PSU is horrible.. no offense. I would have -never- trusted that GPU to such a weak PSU. I was barely able to find information about it online.

Change it asap.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/280284-strange-noise-burning-smell-psu.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I was playing a video game last night for only 45 minutes when my computer automatically rebooted on me. Next, I smelt a burning smell. It smelt like burning rubber. Next, I heard an electrical "popping" sound. I immediately unplugged my computer. I play this video game all the time and for much longer periods than 45 minutes, so I found all of this VERY odd. This morning, I plugged everything back in and tried to turn it on, but absolutely nothing happens. It is totally dead...not even the fan or hard drive tries to start up. Any suggestions as to what's wrong? I HOPE it's just the power supply in my computer and not something more expensive to fix...

A:Solved: I smelt a burning smell...

Sounds like a failed power supply. They aren't overly hard to swap out, but you need to make sure you get the correct type. And one with a bit more wattage.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-i-smelt-a-burning-smell.774597/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hey guys So I was using my computer yesterday when it randomly shut off When I tried to turn it back on nothing was appearing on the monitor smell not starting/burning Comp I could hear the hard drive and fans spinning but there was no display After i tried to turn it back on my room smelled strongly of something electronic burning and i quickly shut it off Earlier today I tried to turn it on again The monitor was working this time and it tried to start windows in safe mode About seconds Comp not starting/burning smell into the Windows XP loading screen i smelled something burning again and the computer shut itself off on its own Anyone have any idea what s going on and or how to fix it My best guess would be a bad power supply but my knowledge of computer hardware is pretty slim so some input from people who know what they re doing would be nice before i go out and start spending money Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Comp not starting/burning smell

Hi,

First view would be Power Supply, then either the fan on your graphics card or the graphics card itself.

It could be the monitor though, to eiagnose this. Try the computer with a different monitor and monitor with a different computer.

hth

Ceri

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/comp-not-starting-burning-smell.528893/
Relevancy 68.8%

Ok I had a virus on my pc a few days ago and burning smell drive Hard through my negligence I waited too long to run a full system Hard drive burning smell check and on restarting the pc it wouldnt go into windows just a black screen with the mouse cursor Anyway no big deal most of my stuff is saved on an external So I pluged my hdd as a slave into another computer to run a virus scan it took out a lot of files and when I pluged it back it it had the same problem so I figured what the hell time for a fresh install anyways Now today I was going to Hard drive burning smell xfer my files that I had on there to my external and pluged the gimped drive into a recently purchased enclosure NSP-E upon firing it up the HDD began to make a lot of noise as it began to spin thought it was just it starting up but then I smelt a electric fire smell and quickly shut it off Upon inspection It was coming from the HDD Just recently I tested it on my other pc installing it internally it imediatly began making the same noise so I shut down again What just happened and is Hard drive burning smell there any recovering nbsp

A:Hard drive burning smell

Actually it's very strange. The Hard Drive is a sealed unit
Are you sure nothing was touching it? But if its making a bad noise anyway, I's say it's shot, gone, ded, and done.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-burning-smell.127573/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello,
I dropped my pc the other day (a 2005 Dell Dimension 3000 stock), and then when I would start it, it would turn off 2 seconds to 10 minutes later. when rebooted it would say 'turned off due to themal error" then one time it did some scan thing and said drive was dirty and did a long start up scan... then later I turned it on and smelt burning from the psu. i took it out and inspected it and it looked ok, put it back in now it won't even turn on and a orange light flashes. Is the problem that i need a new psu?
should i buy one on ebay, they are only $20. also is a dimesion 2100 psu the same as a 3000? b/c one is for sale that comes with other items i need.
thanks for the help! I'm pretty newbie to computers sorry...

A:Dropped PC, won't start.. burning smell.. psu?

A lot of things could have happened. Reseat all cards, cables. Hard drives are subject to shock and given enough jolt can damage it permanently. See if there is anything rattling. Read the no p.o.s.t. guide in he guides forum.

PCs are delicate. A big enough drop can seriously damage components.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dropped-pc-wont-start-burning-smell-psu.79406/
Relevancy 68.8%

Last night I bought a new DellXPS13 and this morning turned it on. It has a plastic smell after booting it up that caused my nose to burn. When I started charging it it had a slight burning smell, never had this experience with other new laptops in the past. Some say this is normal and will stop in a few days and some say I should return it. Any input?

A:New Dell XPS13 burning smell

i would return it - I would not expect a burning smell

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-dell-xps13-burning-smell.1166992/
Relevancy 68.8%

Burning smell from tower and then nothing else works it wont even start

A:burning smell from tower now nothing works

Sounds like a bad power supply, also, check all the wires to see if there is any damage.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/burning-smell-from-tower-now-nothing-works.50882/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello!
I recived a brand new computer yesterday.upon opening the box, i felt a burning smell like a wire has been burning or a circuit has been fried.At first i ignored it but now im getting worried.The computer has been on for 15 hours or so with a 2 hour break and it wont go away.Any ideas?

Also a question about the PSU.On it, there is the on/off switch, but theres also a small black switch that i can regulate.what is it for?right now its on mid.

A:Brand New Computer, burning smell

Return it for an exchange or refund. Why take a chance.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/214680-brand-new-computer-burning-smell.html
Relevancy 67.94%

My PC ASUS P G with G RAM nVidia FX AGP graphics card Compro TV Tuner Card XP Pro SP Background Last Wednesday i installed a new TV Tuner Card System was Smell, Screen Burning Freezing & PC Black fine til about days ago The problem The other day i was working on my PC and started smelling a mild electrical burning smell The smell faded before i could figure out what it is but came Burning Smell, Black Screen & PC Freezing back again about minutes later followed closely by my system freezing and my monitor going black I Burning Smell, Black Screen & PC Freezing had to pull the power cord out the back of the system to turn it Burning Smell, Black Screen & PC Freezing off After a few minutes i turned it back on again and it appeared to boot fine About minutes after using it the same thing happened again and the screen went black At this point i figured the problem was most probably my AGP Card so i got the case apart and took it out After changing my monitor back to the on-board graphics SiS chipset the system appeared to boot fine again I used it for probably hrs of use after this and was thinking the problem was solved until this morning when i smelt that burning smell again followed by the entire system freezing up This time though the screen did NOT go black so i assume the onboard graphics are ok still At this point today i removed the TV Tuner card rebooted and it loaded fine I ve not used it much this this happened I m not sure what actually caused these problems or if they are more serious than they appear Notes I have looked at the AGP card amp the TV Tuner card for marks or signs of burns and neither have them The problems all started days after i installed the TV Tuner Card in PCI Slot Is it possible that the TV Card was the catalyst of the problems and has actually caused damage to the AGP Card Does anybody have any insight into this type of problem nbsp

Relevancy 67.94%

I put in a little GT 610 graphics card about a week ago and everything has been fine since, I get up this morning and now there is the smell of burning dust coming from my computer.

I opened up the case, checked the fans, checked all the hardware, checked for burnt items on the motherboard and all seem to be in order, I checked what temps of things i could with the speccy program and all are in the normal range.

The computer is running fine, no slow downs or anything, can anyone suggest to me something else to look for, the smell of burning dust is quite strong though not overwhelming by any means.

Thanks
TC

A:smell of burning dust coming from computer

Hello TC,

Have you already gave the inside of your case a good cleaning and blowing out any dust?

How does the PSU look? Don't open the PSU because it can electrocute you even when unplugged. Only look through the grill.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/47119-smell-burning-dust-coming-computer.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Okay I need some help Two days ago I walked over to my computer and it had apparently shut itself down I tried to turn it on again but got zero response At this point my keyboard and other items connected to the tower Showed power I then hit the dedicated on off switch on Solved: Random shutdown. smell. Burning the psu and there was no power to anything Fast forward to today and out of boredom I hit the power switch and it turns on like there was never a problem except now there s a very bad burning smell coming out Solved: Random shutdown. Burning smell. from it and I am unable to identify the source It has a new motherboard in it about months Solved: Random shutdown. Burning smell. old and it doesn t seem to have any problems I m thinking that its perhaps a bad psu or potentially my graphics card burning up The psu is an ultra watt and the graphics card is an xfx geforce gso They are both original and about years old Thanks for any help Okay well I changed out the power supply Burning smell is gone Starts up Except my monitor is no longer getting signal Wonderful Is it possible that the old psu burnt out my brand new motherboard Is there something I did wrong that could cause this I installed a corsair gs Bigger then the old one ugh please help nbsp

Relevancy 67.94%

I was on my desktop computer last night when it randomly shut down and I could smell burning but I was not sure where it was coming from.

I found that the graphics card was hot but this is not unusual, my PSU was hot but I don't usually check this and the heatsink felt fine apart from the CPU metal contact. I had recently replaced the heatsink as I broke the former when trying to clean it. I do could not see any visual signs of damage but I wasn't able to remove the PSU from the motherboard (but it has been there for 3+ years).

I could not tell where the burning was coming from.

My specifications are:

Intel Q9300
Nvidia Geforce GTX 280
Tagan 400W PSU
ASUS P5Q (vanilla)

How do I best approach this?

Cheers,

Doraku

A:My computer randomly shut down and I could smell burning

The recommended PSU for a Geforce GTX 280 is a 550 watt power supply so you've been stressing that unit way past its limit, so I would start by replacing the power supply with a high quality, higher wattage unit. We recommend the Corsair TX 650 quite a lot: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computer-randomly-shut-down-and-i-could-smell-burning.1036583/
Relevancy 67.94%

I have a month old laptop that has a burning smell when I boot it up. It works fine and the smell quickly goes away, but it is bothersome.

A:burning smell Inspiron 15 3000 series

Hi xine48,
Please run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.
http://dell.to/164l6g4
Also, let us know from which part of the system you get the burning smell.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19682940
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello I just went out the house for a few hours so left my problem System room) in standby (Burning smell computer on standby I came back to System standby problem (Burning smell in room) find the room had a slight burning smell which was confirmed by my brother When I tried starting my computer it stopped at the screen as soon as the motherboard loads Its never done that before Nothing else electrical was on in the room After a few minutes it asked some question about whether I wanted to delete the boot info or continue with the previos boot It was on about the standby information held on the hard drive however I cant remember how the question was praised Its been asking that question on and off the last few times Ive set the system in standby however its never left a burning smell in the room or anything like that I just select to delete and continue and it loads like a fresh boot loosing any data from when it was put on standby I ve been doing some forensic stuff imaging and analysing ram recently so god knows if its anything to do with that It only started the past few days since I got into imaging ram however I doubt its relating as imaging ram shouldnt affect the computers ram state considering the importance it would hold in an investigation Has anyone got any idea whats going on Suppose I better do some backing up Cheers nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

Hi,

I have been having a few problems lately and now I have these tiny blue dots on my screen. They go in vertical line and are not always there. I have also now noticed a burning smell from time to time and I thought it was the power cord so I bought a new one and now I know it's coming from the system.

Any information would be appreciate as to what I may do to find out exactly what is happening with my PC. I read a few things online and it says video-card but how can I tell for sure?

Any help would be great!

Thanks.

Relevancy 67.51%

I was browsing websites on a four year old Dell Dimension 4700 PC when all of a sudden the computer suddenly turned off. The computer would not turn back on and the power light on the front of the computer, which normally is green when the computer is on, blinked yellow over and over again. After unplugging the computer and plugging it back in, the blinking yellow light went away and the computer did power on (complete with green light), but there was a horrible burning smell coming from the machine and nothing loaded. Every time I try to turn on the computer now all I get is that green light and an incredibly loud fan, nothing comes on the screen, I hear no beeps, nothing.

What could this possibly be and what could I do to fix it? Thanks in advance.

A:Computer doesn't work after crash/burning smell

Firstly, don't attempt to turn it on anymore, as you're most likely cause more damage, each time, you do so.
Secondly, it's rather impossible to diagnose on line what's going on inside the case.
Your best option is to bring it to a pro shop.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/288334/computer-doesnt-work-after-crashburning-smell/
Relevancy 67.51%

I was browsing websites on a four year old Dell Dimension 4700 PC when all of a sudden the computer suddenly turned off. The computer would not turn back on and the power light on the front of the computer, which normally is green when the computer is on, blinked yellow over and over again. After unplugging the computer and plugging it back in, the blinking yellow light went away and the computer did power on (complete with green light), but there was a horrible burning smell coming from the machine and nothing loaded. Every time I try to turn on the computer now all I get is that green light and an incredibly loud fan, nothing comes on the screen, I hear no beeps, nothing.

What could this possibly be and what could I do to fix it? Thanks in advance.

A:Computer doesn't work after crash/burning smell

Sounds like you may have fried the power supply. Remove the covers and see how much crap is covering all the components. A can of air blaster works good to clean out heatsinks and fans. Do any work with the power unplugged then carefully turn it on and see if you can see what is cooking in there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-doesnt-work-after-crash-burning-smell.895436/
Relevancy 65.79%

I have a LaCie 500gb external harddrive that I use to back up my laptop and store large files. It has its own power supply and connects to my computer by USB. The other day I plugged it into the power supply and noticed it wouldnt turn on and there was an electrical burning smell coming from the plug on the harddrive. Is it possible that it is just the plug damaged and my data is still ok? Can I remove the data from the harddrive somehow? Would it be worth trying to get someone to repair it or should I just buy a new one?

I don't know alot about this sort of thing and any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

A:External harddrive not working, burning smell, can I retrive my data or repair it?

Yes Ur Harddisk Is Damaged Nothing will be retrive from It

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-harddrive-not-working-burning-smell-can-i-retrive-my-data-or-repair-it.130489/
Relevancy 62.78%

Today I installed a new power supply in my -year-old AMD Sempron computer after the old p s died The new one Smell Power Is Toxic? New Supply is exactly like the old one except it has a -watt capacity as opposed to -watt on the old one Both Is New Power Supply Smell Toxic? the computer and the new p s came from Fry s Electronics After running the computer for a bit I started noticing that quot new electronics quot smell which is supposedly quot normal quot but I have one concern Could that smell be toxic especially to my two cats I remember reading a long time ago about toxic fumes coming from new carpeting so now I m worried I opened a window near the computer but it s COLD outside Keeping the cats out of this room isn t an option I live in a small apartment so do I need to keep the window open for their safety and or mine Or am I just being overly paranoid Is New Power Supply Smell Toxic? Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

Hi I ve had my power supply for months now and In the past month or two I noticed a smell a smoky smell All my temps In my PC are absolutely normal and nothing is overheating I even got a new case and an gts My power supply is watts The maker is PCMCIS I never heard of that maker before and I bought it at microcenter My Pc crashed In the past but that was due to bad cables bad video card and SATA issues with master and slave but it is running fine now I just want to know if the smell is normal for power supplies after a Supply Solved: Power Smell while or not I have an Intel Pentium Dual core E OCZ Vista Performance DDR PC - gb one gb SATAII hard drive One ATA hard drive DVD burners as I mentioned an gts and that is it My average temp for my gts is - degrees fahrenheit Idle Under load is about On hot days It goes up to degrees My Solved: Power Supply Smell CPU always runs low Idle It runs degrees to Under load It runs - either it is hot or cold outside My hard drive runs between and degrees also If my psu dies what is the best brand to get Is Coolmax good Antec Thermaltake Coolermaster Enermax Topower OCZ BFG Kingwin Eagle Tech nbsp

Relevancy 61.49%

Got a CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD Intelligent LCD Series UPS 1000VA 600W AVR Mini-Tower that seems to be working fine. But every now and then it gives off some kind of plastic smell. It had this smell when I first took it out of the box and the smell seems to emit every now and then while it's on.

I've touched it to see if it was hot, but it feels quite cool. So it doesn't seem to be overheating or anything.

A:New UPS (Uninterupted Power Supply) emitting a plastic smell?

Could just be the plastic heating up internally for the first time and will go away in a few days, unless you see fluid or it gets very hot (as in overcharging of the batteries) your probably fine.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/359231-new-ups-uninterupted-power-supply-emitting-plastic-smell.html
Relevancy 56.76%

If I have windows 2003 server set up as DNS server & DHCP server, do I need a router or is just a switch okay?

A:In this case, is Just a switch okay?

Again, see my answer in your other thread.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/in-this-case-is-just-a-switch-okay.782588/
Relevancy 55.9%

I am connecting a new MB to my old case Switch & LEDs
the Blk & Wht wires go to the PWR-BT pins
the Grn & Blu wires go to the PWR LED and
the Yel & Brn wires go to the HDD LED
The original connections for the LEDs are not marked + or -
however the pins on the New MB are... the only indication on the old board is GRN /YEL (but not actually where these pins are) would that mean that the Grn & Yel leads are positive (+)? would anything drastic happen if I hook the LEDs up backwards? (so far I just have the power on/off connected)

see previous post for added details: http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?postid=236998#post236998

A:Case Switch connectors

It shouldn't hurt anything to hook the led's up backwards, they just won't lite up. So if they don't work you can reverse them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/case-switch-connectors.52756/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello everyone I m here today because a couple of days ago my computer would no longer boot up as in it just would not power up It s funny because one day I shut my computer off for the night and then when I tried to turn it on the next morning it simply would not power jumping case Assistance switch on After reading various guides and forum posts on various websites I learned a few ways in which you could test to see if it was either the Assistance jumping case switch PSU Motherboard or case switch that may be causing the problem Now Assistance jumping case switch I have already successfully tested the PSU by jumping the th pin green wire and one of the ground pins black wire on the pin connector After I flipped the PSU switch my case fan started to spin letting me know my PSU wasn t the problem So my question now is how do I test to see if my case switch is causing the problem My computer expertise is on an average level and I m not sure whether my case switch connects directly to the PSU or via the mother board although I m assuming it connects to the mother board as my PC is a year old Alienware rig Any ideas Thanks Jinto nbsp

A:Assistance jumping case switch

Hi

There should be a wiring loom running from the front of the pc to the board, do a google on the motherboard and find out which connector is the power switch, it's usually next to the reset. speaker, HDD led and power led pins, once found short it out and if the mobo starts up its the case switch if not the mobo is dead.

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/assistance-jumping-case-switch.110159/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have a K450e Desktop (ideacentre) and I want to upgrade my computer i searched up the form factor for this mother board and it seems that it is compatable with the NZXT S340. I will also be upgrading my computer adding an SSD, new power supply, and upgrading to a GTX 1070. I was wondering if there will be anything getting in my way from upgrading and switching cases thank you.  Current Specs:i5-4460GT 7301TB storageWindows 108 GB of Ram 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-E-H-K-M-Q-Y-and-ErazerX/Case-Switch-Parts-Upgrade/td-p/3434976
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi guys

got myself a silverstone ML02 case, Fatality F-i90HD mobo, quad core 6600 and 4 gig of ram. Problem is, it won't switch on!

I *think* i have connected it up correctly, the on-board red led lights up to tell me its got power, the front LCD screen lights up (everything showing). Problem is, when I actually try to turn it on, nothing happens. I tried also using the remote to turn it on with no luck. No fans spin up, no beeping, nothing....

The power cable appears to be an orange and white cable - which i've tried both ways round.

Any ideas?

A:Fatality f-i90hd won't switch on (Silverstone case)

By power cable I hope you just mean the small wires that go from the case to the MB. Are you sure it is on the right MB pins? They can be hard to read.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fatality-f-i90hd-wont-switch-on-silverstone-case.630801/
Relevancy 55.04%

This is for an Antec case, where the inner, plastic coil on-off switch has come loose. The plastic pin retaining the flat, spiral coil on a side has broke (poor design, which is surprising for this make). The marginal mini pin snapped == case front is practically trashed. And if case front is no longer available, of course all components must be moved to fit inside another new separate case.

So looking for the best glue I can find to secure it back.

I hessitate to shoot glue, since every time the switch is depressed from the outside, finger pressure will be applied.

Anyway, what would be the best high strength glue for bonding plastic-on-plastic?
Is the glue gun better?

(notice that certain glues write out certain types of plastics under their recommended applications)

A:plastic pc case switch broke - looking for best glue

It is difficult to recommend a glue for this purpose for several reasons; but, my experience with vulcanizing plastics goes back over 50 years when I was assembling plastic model cars and I learned the difference between vulcanizing glues and what I would call surface glues.

Plumbers' glue for plastic pipes vulcanizes the plastic, meaning that it melts the plastic on the opposing surfaces and bonds them together with a chemical reaction. If done properly, the glued joint can be stronger than the rest of the object.

Read the label and apply the instructions as well as can be done for such dissimilar surfaces.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/plastic-pc-case-switch-broke-looking-for-best-glue.989181/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have a K450e Desktop (ideacentre) and I want to upgrade my computer i searched up the form factor for this mother board and it seems that it is compatable with the NZXT S340. I will also be upgrading my computer adding an SSD, new power supply, and upgrading to a GTX 1070. I was wondering if there will be anything getting in my way from upgrading and switching cases thank you. 

Current Specs:
i5-4460
GT 730
1TB storage
Windows 10
8 GB of Ram 

Mod's Edit: System model added to the front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-E-H-K-M-Q-Y-and-ErazerX/K450e-Case-Switch-Parts-Upgrade/td-p/3434976
Relevancy 54.61%

I know how to enable disable UBS ports but I want to know if I Can set specific power limits for my USB ports using Windows pro How can I test my motherboard to see if maybe that might be the problem Everything was working fine Then I started using a new USB device called Track IR I don't know if it's a coincidence or the culprit but I now get a quot power surge quot warning for all my USB ports when the device is unplugged USB is not (power to How power USB warnings) 2.0 control USB case surge all connected active My headphones disconnect most of the time My keyboard started disconnecting more How to control all USB case power (power surge warnings) USB 2.0 frequently and my mouse is usually the last to disconnect If I plug Track IR in as well as my other peripherals keyboard mouse headphones steering wheel everything works fine If I unplug Track IR I'll start getting power surge warnings and my headphones keyboard lastly my mouse will disconnect in that order randomly It's also caused a cyclic quot left click quot issue with my mouse - I believe Over a span of - seconds the left click button will go from standard to ultra sensitive to standard click speed again I can double click on a file and open it and afew seconds later it seems it only takes click to unintentionally open that folder and then whatever file or folder my mouse cursor happened to be on inside that folder I slowed down and sped up the mouse click function in windows devices but the issue still persists I have checked the wiring Nothing exposed or touching I have turned off USB charging capability I have tried each port individually front and back USB ports to see if I have How to control all USB case power (power surge warnings) USB 2.0 any dead ports none I have tried them in combinations to see if there is some kind of short between ports What do I do now

A:How to control all USB case power (power surge warnings) USB 2.0

Hi 7of9, welcome to the Forum.

Have a look at this MS website & see if any suggestions there work for you.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...a-c0e724e83e04

What happens if you leave the IR5 connected & shut down the computer, disconnect the IR5, restart the computer. Does your mouse etc. then work properly. If so it might be worth looking at getting a separately powered USB hub & using that for the IR5.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/398522-how-control-all-usb-case-power-power-surge-warnings-usb-2-0-a.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Yea...so we finally got my girlfriends new PC up and running. The problem im having...or more of a concern really. Is when you flip off the power supply, and then flip it back on, the PC gets a short burst of power. IE the lights and fans all come on for a second or two. Then you can press the power button and turn it back on.

Any ideas guys?

Relevancy 53.75%

Last night my computer blue screened about times then it just stopped turning on altogether Wheni plug the power supply into the motherboard the neon fan turns on for a milisecond but that seems to be the only way that i can tell that there s power going to the with is switch it? but turn through on wont going Computer power power there motherboard I ve tried different power supplies different processor different BIOS batteries different RAM etc but no matter how many times i try to turn it on it just wont turn on I do recall doing something innthe BIOS last night which seemed to start this dilemer I went into power management and did something to the power switch option Computer wont turn on with power switch but there is power going through it? then set everything back to default settings This is when things started to happen then my pc just wouldn t turn on at all It s a socket MSI CoreCell Could something i did in the BIOS really be causing this problem and is there a way to fix it Like i said there does seem to be power going to the motherboard but it simply wont turn on i even tried different power switches just in case Any help would be greatly appreciated I just don t want to buy another motherboard as most shops don t cell them any more and it means i d have to buy a new processor too nbsp

A:Computer wont turn on with power switch but there is power going through it?

If it is a BIOS setting, removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes should clear it. Since you've already changed the battery more than once, it would seem that is not the problem. Considering what you already tried, it might be the motherboard itself or possibly the graphics card but my money is on the motherboard. Just to be sure do you have another graphics card to test with?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-wont-turn-on-with-power-switch-but-there-is-power-going-through-it.155652/
Relevancy 53.75%

I have an emachines w3052 and i had to replace the motherboard in it and i didn't pay close enough enough attention to were i pulled the led and power switch wires from if anyone knows what i can do to fix please help. Also the motherboard is a fic-k7mnf-64 i looked at the manual no help i also looked beside the 10pin connector were they go and it doesnt give a description so if you know please tell me lol

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/emachines-w3052-hdd-led-power-led-power-switch-problems.161126/
Relevancy 53.75%

Emachine with XP Home - was running fine, but in the middle of copying a file got an error "Windows has encountered an error and will shut down."

The machine then refused to boot.

When I plug in the power cable, the PS boots without use of the power switch. No POST, no display, no error beeps. Power seems to be getting to the mobo and hard drive (LED activity), but nothing more.

What on earth could cause this? Where should I start troubleshooting?

Any help would be handsomely rewarded! :giddy:

A:Attaching power cord starts power without switch?

u unplugged the power and still nothing ? u could try clearing the cmos , if u cannot locate the jumper unplug the Power cord , open the side case up and then locate a watch battery remove it count to 30 and then replace the battery and then rehook power and see if it works that way .

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/attaching-power-cord-starts-power-without-switch.41055/
Relevancy 53.75%

I've got a computer that's turned off. I press the power switch, and nothing happens. Now, I unplug the network cable and the computer turns on.

Why does having a network cable connected prevent the computer's power switch from functioning? And why does unplugging the network cable cause it to power up?

The computer has worked fine for a year, but was recently moved to the other side of the room, and a new switch replaced the old network hub at the same time.

A:Power Up Issue: LAN Cable Disables Power Switch?

I swapped network cables and the problem still persists.

Any ideas?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-up-issue-lan-cable-disables-power-switch.574517/
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a weird problem on an XP Home system that was brought in for repair When you Notes Periods! Lower Switch Music And Case As - Upper turn it on it comes up with a message The upper and lower case of the message is switched as shown The periods are shown as music notes I have shown them as as wINDoWS cOULD nOT sTArT beCAUSE oF AN ErROR IN THE sOFTWARE PLEAsE rEPORT tHIs PROBLEM As LOAD nEEDED DLLs fOR kERNEL PLEAsE cONTACT yOUR sUPPORT PErSON TO rEPORT THIs PROBLEM If I attempt to go Upper And Lower Case Switch - Music Notes As Periods! thru safe mode the options for safe mode safe with networking etc com up - with the same upper lower case lettering Choose safe mode option and you get the same message as sbove I booted with the XP CD to attempt repair came up with a different error message I am stumped I would assume a virus trojan etc I know I can pull the hard drive and format it in another system then go from there but trying to avoid that if possible Any thoughts on what has caused this issue Thanks Sharon

A:Upper And Lower Case Switch - Music Notes As Periods!

Since you're familiar with yanking the hard drive - how's about yanking it, installing it in another system, and doing an antivirus scan of it from the "clean" system?

Depending on the virus, you may need to do a repair install - do you have the original XP installation CD?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/78982/upper-and-lower-case-switch-music-notes-as-periods/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hello everyone - I have just assembled a new build It will not power up I need a suggestion to figure out if the problem is the case or the motherboard This is a mini-itx build power-up: power New or Build MB? no supply case's The case is New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? Linkworld LC - B This case comes with a volt watt external laptop-style power supply that plugs into the rear of the case just like New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? a laptop power supply plugs into a laptop - a barrel connector Inside this power connection connects to a power supply component that is not like a regular ATX power supply but is on a printed-circuit board New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? mounted on the case This has several capacitors and other stuff From that comes the -pin and -pin power supply lines for the motherboard I assume the -volt power supply for this external power supply unit is right since it came with the case It was watt The processor is an IBM t with TDP of watts Lower-powered CPUs can be put in a small so I assumed the power supply might be under-powered I ordered a -watt volt power supply with the right size barrel - and same polarity pos inside The MB is an ASRock H MV-ITX It is mini-itx form factor Still same problem Everything is connected correctly When I press the power-on button an external CD drive I have plugged-in spins up for a while But no power light comes on in the front of the case there are no POST beeps the fan for the CPU does not spin up No other signs of life So power is getting into the MB - the external CD drive is plugged into a USB socket in the rear panel of the MB After trying a watt and watt power supply I believe the problem cannot be the power supply cord Can it be that I have too little load I don t think so I plugged in another mm fan and an ol-fashion floppy drive just the power connection to add more load - same thing no power-up no POST nothing but the CD drive will spin up when I open-then-close it yet again So here is the help I need what else can I try -assuming the MB and case are fine is it more likely the case power supply is bad or the MB --Thanks nbsp

A:New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB?

Well, I figured out the problem.
I am planning to re-do the older mini-itx system I have; it has gotten riddled with Trojan software for kids downloading games; it basically has been de-commissioned already.

So, I took the pico-psu power supply from that older computer, and hooked it up to the one I am making. Everything went perfectly.

So, I un-did that, removed the MB from case, disconnected the barrel-power connection from the case, unscrewed and removed the power supply that had been mounted in the case, put the pico-psu power supply back in place (I had to drill the hole for the barrel-connection out to be a little bigger since the pico-psu internal/external connection is threaded and held in place by nut with lock washer), and routed wires to be clear of cpu fan, screwed MB to stand-offs, and closed it all up.

now, everything is great. I like this linkworld case, but the power supply is worthless. I may try to get a few dollars back from the ebay vendor, to make me happy with a case that is less than what I should have gotten, but is working for me; I don't want to wait on returns, etc.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-build-no-power-up-cases-power-supply-or-mb.206259/
Relevancy 52.89%

Please help. My on/off power button on the front of my tower is disconnected from my motherboard. Where exactley should I reconnect it too? So I can power up my computer. Thanks

A:no power to tower , power switch hookup

Not all motherboards are the same. To find the correct header pins you have to refer to the motherboard manual although sometimes the motherboard labels the pins clearly enough so you can figure it out. However, with the motherboard installed in the case, it could be difficult.

If you can't find your manual, try going to the motherboard's manufacturer site to download a copy of the manual (usually a pdf format). If you have a major manufacturer made PC (Dell, HP, Gateway, Emachines, etc.), you might have to try their websites. Good info from those sites might be hit or miss.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-power-to-tower-power-switch-hookup.60151/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello,

I have my Windows 8.1 setup so the display turns off in 1 minute.

I have the power options setup so that the power switch shuts the system down.

But it doesn't. If the screen is off and I press the power switch on my PC the screen comes back on. I then need to press the power switch a second time for the computer to power down.

Is there anyway to configure Windows 8.1 so that the power switch does not turn the display back on, but just immediately shuts the system down?

Thanks!

A:With display off want power switch to instantly power down

You don't have to do that.
When the display is turned off and when you press any key on the laptop, it will bring the display back on.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/53738-display-off-want-power-switch-instantly-power-down.html
Relevancy 50.74%

No power on Z1620, no light, fan.Installed new power switch and has a new power adaptor.

A:My Z1620 has no power at all, new power switch and...

It sounds like this is most likely a hardware problem that would require repair. We would suggest contacting technical support in your region for further assistance with this issue.Acer Service and Support

Important Links: US Driver Downloads | Knowledge Base Articles | Service LocationsRemember to mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution.You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will make it easier for others to find the same information.

http://community.acer.com/t5/All-In-One-PCs/My-Z1620-has-no-power-at-all-new-power-switch-and-power-adaptor/td-p/417446/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 50.74%

Here's an interesting one. Please read complete note.
I am running a "private party" built P-II 333. I have recently had installed :

128 PNY PC100 RAM (upgrade from 2-32's)
Reused one 32 stick for a total of 160 RAM

Added a CD-RW 8/4/32 as slave
56x CD-Rom as master (old 40x apparently went bad)

Nothing major...so I thought....

Now my system will not power up with the front intermittent switch unless I turn the switch off at the rear of the machine for 20-30 seconds. I turn the rear switch back on, push the front switch and the unit powers up normally. The unit is housed in a heavy piece of furniture that is difficult to move. This makes access to the rear switch difficult

What could have happened during these installs that would cause this change and what can I do to fix it??

Relevancy 50.74%

No power on Z1620, no light, fan.Installed new power switch and has a new power adaptor.

A:My Z1620 has no power at all, new power switch and...

It sounds like this is most likely a hardware problem that would require repair. We would suggest contacting technical support in your region for further assistance with this issue.Acer Service and Support

Important Links: US Driver Downloads | Knowledge Base Articles | Service LocationsRemember to mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution.You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will make it easier for others to find the same information.

http://community.acer.com/t5/All-In-One-PCs/My-Z1620-has-no-power-at-all-new-power-switch-and-power-adaptor/td-p/417446
Relevancy 49.45%

I have two case fans connected to my Motherboard
I was using Speedfan to monitor speeds and Temps.
I had to remove the onboard graphics drivers to install the ATI card
All was well until I installed an ATI Radeon 128mb PCI Graphics card.
Then, No power from the mother board to the fans.
Is it possible to reinstall my Bios without losing everything.
Or is there something else I should be looking at?
I have connected the fans to an unused power pigtail.
They are working fine but, Where did my mobo power go?
I am not using Speedfan with this configuration.

I would really appreciate some help.

WindowsXP Home
Intel PIII Celeron 3.06 Ghz
Intel Motherboard D865GVHZ
512 mb ram
80 Gb HDrive
ATI Radeon 128 MB PCI graphics card

Relevancy 49.45%

Help! i have just installed my Soltek 75DRV m/b into a b/n lcd case -gorgeous - and guess what...i cannot get any power i have tried

1. checking the external power cable and power sources
2. checking all internal power cables are secure (and the right way round)
3 . checking the CPU and RAM are secure

i am in the processs of checking that the jumper setting are correct by unpugging them all (HDD, power LED, Reset, etc...) and 'shorting the pins' - as i have been advised.

i was also wondering if anyone else had any feedback they could offer me in my time of darkness

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/conundrum-new-m-b-new-case-no-power.220152/
Relevancy 49.45%

Okay i supply case in power 2nd had a Antec watt power supply true blue but it went dead i was really mad Antec said it would cost bucks to ship it to them so they could 2nd power supply in case check it out heck for bucks i can get a brand new one with sleeving newer version on newegg So i started using my old watt PSU This had some problems Did not have enough power connections for hard drives cd dvd drives extra fans and cpu fan which uses mobo header and neons Much less the load of the neons alone 2nd power supply in case with cpu would result in computer shutoff SO i dug out 2nd power supply in case a old wat MINI PSU from a box machine about inches by inches And hooked the green wire to a black wire ground which allows you to use the powersupply without any motherboard connection I now just stuff the mini PSU in a extra HD bay holder in case and run neon s and fans off their very own Powersupply unit seperat from system devices So its liek having watt again lol nbsp

A:2nd power supply in case

Thanks, I might need that info at some time...cheers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2nd-power-supply-in-case.9422/
Relevancy 49.45%

Help! i have just installed my Soltek 75DRV m/b into a b/n lcd case -gorgeous - and guess what...i cannot get any power i have tried

1. checking the external power cable and power sources
2. checking all internal power cables are secure (and the right way round)
3 . checking the CPU and RAM are secure

i am in the processs of checking that the jumper setting are correct by unpugging them all (HDD, power LED, Reset, etc...) and 'shorting the pins' - as i have been advised.

i was also wondering if anyone else had any feedback they could offer me in my time of darkness

A:Challenge! New M/B - New Case - No power!

There could be a short between the motherboard and case. it might be advisable to pull the motherbaord out of the case and set it up on an antistatic surface. Then only connect the powersupply, CPU with fan, one stick of RAM and the video card. This is enough to get the computer to turn on.

The jumpers mentioned are not the cables from the front of the case. they are little plastic caps that sit over two pins. Make sure the Clear CMOS jumper is in the normal and not clear position and that any Front Side Bus(FSB) jumpers are set right fot the CPU - refer to the motherboard manual for postitions of jumpers.

Are all parts new?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/challenge-new-m-b-new-case-no-power.220150/
Relevancy 49.45%

Anyone know a website for Manhattan ATX Case W/250 watt power supply, or where one can obtain info about these cases?

Thanks for your help.

A:Case and Power Supply

Do a search at:
http:\\www.dogpile.com

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/case-and-power-supply.34615/
Relevancy 49.45%

Okay, helpin a guy on the floor build a new computer, we got the parts down.

AMD 3000 Venice, Gigabyte motherboard, 6600 PCI-e, 1 gig ram, 160 SATA, dvd burner, dvd rom.

Only left is the case and power supply. Lights and windows would be unwanted.
He is always messing with Photoshop CS-2 and so it must be a semi-nice powersupply. He may even try dual monitors. Hence the 6600 (they are also cheap now). Anybody have any experience with cases that come with power supplies and cost at or below $45. 45.76 is the magic number, but the real question is if we should go with seperate power supply, or will the ones that come with a case be fine. people on newegg, either dont mention the power supply, or say the replaced it.

Relevancy 49.45%

Um, I have an old motherboard with a 9prong power switch thingy...
But I don't know where the ones on my new case go.... Help please?

A:Case Power switches

You have to look closely. Good light and a magnifying glass help. Where the case wires go is actually printed on the motherboard in very small print. Look at the base of the pins in you picture although I'm not 100% sure you're in the right spot. Is it where the old case wires were?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/case-power-switches.283024/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello,

My computer seems to switch to Power Saver mode of its own volition. I'm not sure what triggers the switch from Balanced mode to Power Saver. Yes, I know and how to prevent screen dimming and sleep mode, and I know how to change the plan settings for any power mode...

...but what is the specific setting I need to use to prevent my computer from ever automatically switching to power saver mode? I want it to boot up into Balanced mode, and never, ever switch from that plan.

Thanks!

Jay

A:Prevent switch from Balanced power mode to Power Saver mode

Do you have some program in auto startup that might be doing this ?
Laptops may come with some utility for this ???
You could review your startup programs, or try a clean startup.
Troubleshoot Application Conflicts by Performing a Clean Startup

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/369881-prevent-switch-balanced-power-mode-power-saver-mode.html
Relevancy 48.59%

on a friends computer you have to press the power on switch several times to get it to power up some times you just leave it after pressing the power switch and it will start to power up about 10 to 15 minutes after.
Its an old Packard Bell computer using WinXP o/s and a Celeron processor thats all i know of the computer i was wandering could i by pass the power up switch by shorting it on the board itself how do i identify right pins to short, i want to do this just identify if it is the switch thats faulty.
Although ive never seen it do it he tells me it switches itself back on sometimes.
Thanks Haddo

Relevancy 48.59%

hi,

i was wondering if ne of you guys know where i can buy a new momentary contact type switch for a cheap price... one of the wires for the 1 i own have disconnected and am unable to solder it pls help me out guys :-/

A:Power Switch...help!

Welcome to TechSpot

In the UK, check Maplin www.maplin.co.uk
In the USA, check your local RadioShack

Any electronics shop has switches like that, maybe not the exact model that you need.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-switch-help.14918/
Relevancy 48.59%

I have P3 600Mhz about 2years old.
My computer's power don't work! I thought it might be the switch or the power supply and so I have changed to new case and new power supply. But, it has same problem! It won't turn on. Of course, I checked the plugs, wires, switches, etc. I had to press the power button MILLION times before letting the computer to start and boot. Even after changing it to new case and new power supply, I will still have to press power button MILLION times to turn the computer on. Maybe my old motherboard causing this power failure? What can be other possibilities causing this stupid problem?? Please Help!!!

Relevancy 48.59%

Okay, so this is a continuation of this thread: Help with Front Panel/Power Button Connector

Okay, so I don't know why, but when I have the 24-pin connector for my motherboard halfway in (or halfway out, if you're that kind of guy) all of my led fans kick on, but none of my front panel configurations can turn it on. Please see the above thread for more information!

A:Help with Power Switch/PSU?

Maybe you could continue posting on one thread.............

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/388665-help-power-switch-psu.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Usually we don't use the power button on my custom-built pc, since we generally just leave the thing on all the time. So I noticed a few days ago when I did use it that it was sticky, like dust had gotten in around it or something. Then, a few days later, the pc started shutting itself off, at random, but usually within 5 minutes of turning it back on.

It's gotta be the power switch, right? And are these easily swappable? This one came with the case, built-in. I've never even tried to buy a replacement switch, so I have no idea. Hopefully I don't need to buy a whole new case or something.

Thoughts? TIA

Relevancy 48.59%

Hi Now I have my new Motherboard and CPU up and running Socket A FSB Duron Everything works great except everyonce and a while usually after being on for a hour or more the computer starts making a funny noise every to seconds It is the sound the power switch makes when it shuts down But it doesn t shut down The graphics sometimes freeze for a split second but othere than that nothing happens becuase of it Is it the switch shorting Maybe the power supply is bad or not enough W The power LED switch is not connected I could not find the pins for it There is a casfan sure PSU? not switch CPU or power or hookup where the pwr LED was on my old board Could this be shorting on the frame of the case Or maybe is the CPU overheating even CPU or power switch or PSU? not sure with the fan It is a good quality fan made for Athlon s and other Socket A s which mine is Thanks for your help nbsp

Relevancy 48.59%

I have a Dell Optiplex 240 that just quit getting power. I changed the powersupply and connected all of the cables correctly. I have tried different outlets and cords but still no power at all. I am guessing that it has something to do with the power button. How does this swith connect with the motherboard and how could I get the face cover off to make sure that I am getting a proper trigger. I have the P.C. open but it is really hard to get to or even see the internal side of the power button with out ripping the face of the P.C. off. Can anyone give some advice that has maybe ran into this same problem?

A:Bad Power Switch Please Help!

The wires from the case usually connect to a set of pins located in the front left corner of the motherboard (follow the wires from the front of the case). The small plastic connectors at the end of these wires hopefully will be labeled as will be the pins on the motherboard although the writing is not easy to see. On some cases the wires might be bundled together into one block connector--I don't remember if Dell does it that way, they didn't used to.

Anyway look for a connecter that says PWR or PSW or something similar. That wire comes from the "power" button on the front of the case. If you remove this connector and use a small screwdriver to short the pins touching the two pins that the connector went to you are
bypassing the front case switch. If your system starts up when you do this then you'll have a bad switch.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bad-power-switch-please-help.352609/
Relevancy 48.59%

On my Pc case and my GA-7VAXP power led, etc is really weird

Can you guys tell me hwat each of these pins are acccording to my F_PANEL on my mobo.

PC CASE:
Reset SW-2 pin
Power SW-2 pin
Power Led- 3 Pin(weird ?)
H.D Led-2 pin
Speaker-4 Pin

MOBO: (2x10 pin connectors
MPD-2 pin connector (Message Led/Power/Sleep Led)
PW-2 pin connector (soft power)
RST- 2 pin connector (reset switch)
SPK-4 pin connector (speaker)
HD-2 pin connector (hard drive led)

I dont have enough connectors on the mobo for the MPD or Power led?

Thanks,
Danny

Relevancy 48.59%

Hi all,

I just bought a new Stealth-S 375w case...and I want to know, should the fan power up when I switch on the main power switch (at the back)?. I noticed FrontPanel cables and I dont know if this should power on the machine if they are connected.

Thanks,

GuybrushNivek

Relevancy 48.59%

Hey guys,

A machine I have here (WinXP machine, though I dont think it matters in this scenario) will not boot up. It turns on (I can hear the fan going) but does not even get to the BIOS. There is a red light illuminated on the front of the case that usually isnt lit. (The symbol next to it looks like a cyllinder).

Any idea what's up?

A:Computer will not power on, red light on case

I inspected the CPU fan and it looks to be off axis and wasnt spinning right. Strange that I didnt hear a noise.

I then took out the processor to find out that the thermal paste between the heatsink and the cpu was singed...

Could that be it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-will-not-power-on-red-light-on-case.722849/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hey I ve been having trouble with the power switch on my Cooler Master Centurion case It seemed to Problem Button Case Power be working fine for a short while then at one point my computer randomly turned off When I tried to turn it back on the computer would boot up and then shut off seconds into it It was acting as if I was simply holding the button down and then doing the standard ATX delay to shut it Case Power Button Problem off I disconnected the switch from the mobo and shorted the pins to boot up just to be sure and as I suspected everything works fine I left it off for a day or two and tried again with the same problem It seems like it s working for a short while and then without warning it shuts off again Cooler Master has said they would provide me a new one but I was wondering if there is perhaps Case Power Button Problem a way to fix it without having to send parts back and forth Any thoughts are appreciated Thanks -Mike nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/case-power-button-problem.38701/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hey everybody,
I have a case without power supply switch port and as I already know if I want to replace the power supply I have to find one without an power supply power switch on the back of it and I looked hard on newegg and on tigerdirect. I wanted an antec but thats out of the question because all 20 of them that newegg sells have switchs on them. The only one I found without a switch so far was on tgierdirect and its only 230w and thats what I have now. Also how many watts do you think I should get? Thank you very much

A:Power supply fitting in case

Will a power supply with a switch fit or not I was told it wouldnt and that does make sense since there is not a slot for it to go and I dont want to really cut or change anything on the case Thanks everyone

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-fitting-in-case.59946/
Relevancy 48.59%

Im doing a serious upgrade of my old system and I plan to overclock my new Core Duo E cpu but I want to do some case modding such as replacing the rear fan and also potentially cutting a hole in the side of my case to install a mm fan Is there a way to connect the latest case fans to my psu for power as I dont think there is another motherboard connection other than the v one for the rear fan and heatsink fan I have researched this as i always do but im lost in a world of atx molex pin connection confusion I have got the compaq site in front of me supply new help case Installing a power fan - with the motherboard specs and Installing a new case fan - power supply help it mentions a -pin ATX power connector can this be used for a fan or this probably being used elsewhere Pentium D hgz upgrading to Core Duo Ghz E gb DDR Ram motherboard ASUS P LP-LE OZC w psu Vista bit Graphics card in stages of final decision making any quick recommendations on the best for my Installing a new case fan - power supply help system are always welcome although my mind is almost made up any more info required just Installing a new case fan - power supply help let me know Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 48.59%

HI Im planing amd/pentium??? & power,cpu,harddrive,case on building my own computer I have a power,cpu,harddrive,case & amd/pentium??? few questions to ask now and most likely more to come First things first What type of computer do I want Im going for top of the line Im about to purchase power,cpu,harddrive,case & amd/pentium??? a pentium which I was going to get for my current comp since Im going to make a new computer should I make it an amd based one Whats the difference Im looking for a speed machine Since im power,cpu,harddrive,case & amd/pentium??? going for speed what motherboard should I get For memory I was planning on using mb kinston ram or anything else you guys suggest to go best with the system With a hard drive im planning on using a Maxtor GB hd with mb buffer Im going to use ati Radeon pro mb for my graphics card Im sticll thinking of which type of sound card any suggestions I already have dvdrw combp drive and floppy drive Im going to use apexs TU- w mid tower case since its ghz ready any other suggestions for a case would be nice to I have a inch sony lcd doing nothing and watt altec lancing speakers still in the box Keyboard and mouse are both wireless logitec got them for birthday never used them Again Im looking for the fastest and best stuff I can get any suggestions or changes you think i should ame just go ahead and tell me thanks ALOT for anything you guys post Im sorry for putting so many questions I just trust you guys everything I know about computers has been here well most of it Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 48.59%

Hello,
I am interested in adding some case fans to my computer. Inparticular one 60mm and two 80mm, and I was wondering in if my computers power supply could handle this. I have a 250W power supply and:
* Intel Pentium III Katmai 500MHz O/C At
575MHz
* Just Cooler 25.5 CFM Triple Fan Heatsink
* DFI P2XBL R.D. Motherboard
* 524MB PC 100 SDRAM
* Dual IBM 13.5GB ATA-66 7200RPM 2MB Buffer
* ATI All-In-Wonder Pro 8MB AGP Video Card
* Dual ATI Xpert 98 8MB PCI Video Card
* Toshiba 3rd Generation 4.8x DVD-ROM
* Ricoh 6x4x24 CD-WR
* 56K V.90 ITU Fax Modem w/Voice Mail
* 3COM EtherLink XL TPO 10MB Ethernet
* Logitech Cordless iTouch Keyboard
* Logitech Cordless TrackMan Wheel USB -
PS/2 Port

Also if it helps there is only one more power plug left from the PSU, I don't know if this has any bearing though. I appreciate everyones input.

A:Power Supply going to be enough for case fans?

Not sure but you could get Mother board monitor It will track your voltages..
http://www.compucheap.com/pages/download2.htm

Credit to the site.. http://www.compucheap.com/

------------------
"She was crazy in a cool way once" Johnlee

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-going-to-be-enough-for-case-fans.33873/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hey all,
Im just wondering if anyone knows of any ATX tower cases out there, preferably with an aluminium/black finish and front door, that include a power supply capable of powering a Pentium 4 3Ghz that may be overclocked to 3.5Ghz in the future?
I haven't found any solutions where the case includes a powerful enough power supply. I'm looking to buy from England for about €150 / stg£90-100, and thats how I want to buy them, together in one package.
Thanks!

P.S.

I have been looking at Chieftec Matrix and Scorpio cases which include 360w and 340w power supplys respectively. Are either of those power supplies capable of powering a P4 3.5Ghz?

Relevancy 48.16%

I just replaced a motherboard (with a m758LR - pcchips) on a clone.
I tested the power supply with a power supply tester (all leads show green).

The computer does not turn on, the cpu fan and the chassis fan turn on for a fraction of a second after I turn off the power button.

I tested the power switch once with a multimeter - it showed no power.

Anybody have any suggestions other than retesting the power switch?

Relevancy 48.16%

Well the other day I was going to back up my laptops hard drive but, I forgot to charge my laptop. So I started to charge it and right when it try to turn it on it won't come on. I opened the laptop and the power switch is broken, is there anyway that I can turn it on? Please help I songs that I made on that hard drive. O yes... I have a hp mini 210-1091nr

A:broken power switch

I don't think so you might need to RMA your machine.

This thread will be moved to hardware section to better assist you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f108/broken-power-switch-628244.html
Relevancy 48.16%

where can i get them, i cant find them anywhere, mine snapped off by accident when my memory card fell down my comp, mines in like 1 thing an orange and white wires for the power sw and red and white wires for the h.d.d led, sorry i completely dumb to this

many thanks
billy

A:h.d.d. led power switch cables

OK, exactly what broke off? Attached is a picture of kk connectors which I guess are what you are describing. Did the connectors just break, OR, did the wires break also?

The only place I know you could get complete new wiring assemblies would be from the case manufacturer, if they have them for sale.

If just the connectors broke, you can get new connectors here;

http://www.action-electronics.com/molex.htm

scroll down the page and you would need a pack of the BLS-2 (you have to buy a pack of 50 but they are cheap). If either of the connectors are 3 pin you would also need a pack of part # BLS-3.

If the ends of the wires broke off you would also need a pack of pins part # BLS-PIN/F and a crimper Part # PHT-DS-STMP

If you have a repair shop near you they should be able to replace the ends for you if the wires are broken off at the pins. Unless you do a lot of these on a regular basis kk connectors are a little tricky to crimp, and I suggest that you let a shop crimp on the new pins for the connectors, because if they are not crimped correctly the pins will not stay in the connectors.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/h-d-d-led-power-switch-cables.690613/
Relevancy 48.16%

The power switch on my Compaq Deskpro went faulty, so I bought a replacement generic switch. Installation seemed no problem, when I switch on power lights come on, but only for a few seconds, then system shuts down. I don't think I did any other damage when replacing the switch. What should I check out?

Relevancy 48.16%

Hi

I've got a problem with my CPU

Whenever I switch on my computer,
I push the POWER ON button,
the CPU powers up,
the harddisk and cd drives all power up,
then everything comes to a standstill (all lights still on)
There's nothing on my monitor.
Monitor still in standby mode.

then i will have to press the RESET button,
then my bootup can continue.

anyone can help me with this problem??

A:Problem with CPU power switch

Hmm can you tell us more specific?

I mean this could happen if your monitor jacks are plugged out,
Graphics card damaged, heatsink installed wrongly, Some other components are plugged out. Even the mainboard battery is exhausted. btw the problem should not be the switch, otherwise nothing will happen if switch is spoilt...

try to write more about your system such as system specs and when is this thing started?

Welcome to techspot

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-cpu-power-switch.67676/