Windows Support Forum

SMART Short Self Test Fail

Q: SMART Short Self Test Fail

I ran Dell's PC Checkup and it failed on the SMART Short Self Test. From what I get this basically means my hard drive is going to fail any time, true? When I get a new hard drive can I use the Windows 7 code that's on my computer or will I have to re-buy Windows 7? Are there any tutorials for replacing the main hard drive? Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: SMART Short Self Test Fail

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: SMART Short Self Test Fail

Well the drive may fail sooner or later but its a good idea to get another. Yes, you can use the key on the sticker on the computer to activate windows. Better still, while the current drive is still alive, just save an image of the windows install using Macrium free or Acronis to an external drive, then you can just restore to the new drive- you wont even need to use the sticker code.

Imaging with free Macrium

Heres how to replace your hard drive:

Documentation

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/148900-smart-short-self-test-fail.html
Relevancy 29.24%

I have 4 ESD mats at the computer workshop I work. The ESD mats are interconnected and one of them is connected to ground through a resistive socket (or whatever it's called) which must be several Megaohms because my Ohmeter cannot read it (it reads up to 2MOhm). Yesterday I did this test: I used a voltmeter set to AC voltage, negative probe touching the ground in a socket, the other one between my fingers. I measured 2 volts. Then I put on the ESD wrist-band and I was surprised to find that not only did the voltage go down, it rose to 2.2volts!. It looks like this mat isn't working, am I right?

A:How should I test my ESD mats?

to ground through a resistive socket (or whatever it's called) which must be several Megaohms because my Ohmeter cannot read it (it reads up to 2MOhm).Click to expand...

Never heard of a 'resistive socket' but the concept sounds correct.
The object is to absorb the energy to avoid the immediate discharge. However, we use capacitors for that and may be the reason for the ohm meter test results.

I would expect a resistor->capacitor->earth.ground type of circuit. The capacitor absorbs the energy and slowly drains it back to the ground. The resistor slows the charging of the capacitor to avoid the immediate ESD.

Your 2v DC test is not correct either. ESD is high voltage of a very short duration and the mat+socket would not respond to low voltable, long duration.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-should-i-test-my-esd-mats.214705/
Relevancy 23.65%

Memtest and other memory test software don't tell you which of the modules is the faulty one. Is there any way to tell which is the bad stick besides testing one-by-one?

Thank you

A:Does any memory test tell you which of the memory sticks is bad?

Not really. but you can test each stick one by one

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/does-any-memory-test-tell-you-which-of-the-memory-sticks-is-bad.213800/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi guys,

I have been trying to access a website for the last few days, and each time I do, I recieve this error message.

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

The server at [...] can't be found because the DNS look-up failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chromefrom accessing the network.

I tried changing my browser, but the website still didn't open.
Then I switched devices to my mobile, and the browser wouldn't open.
I turned the wifi off my mobile, and the page DID load with mobile internet, so it has to be a problem with my home internet.
My friend has the same provider as us, but the page works perfectly for her.
I'm not the most technologically advanced, so I was wondering what the next step would be to fix this problem?

A:DNS lookup fail - specific site.

Three test techniques other than a lousy browser:

get a command prompt and enter PING 8.8.8.8
follow that with PING google.com
this tests your tcp routing and name resolution

then try
get a command prompt and enter NSLOOKUP whatever_domain_name
download http://www.gena01.com/win32whois/ and enter the whatever_domain_name there
and this tests if your ISP dns is worth $0.02.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dns-lookup-fail-specific-site.213593/
Relevancy 28.38%

The impending launch of DirectX 12 is one of the more exciting things to happen in PC gaming in recent years. Many people are eager to see how the low level API will improve the performance of games that implement...

Read more

A:You can now test DirectX 12 yourself with latest 3DMark update

This is way windows is doomed. DirectX 12 should be available for win 7-10, but MS is so greedy, they cant seem to understand why they are disliked and windows will evientaly be destroyed by Google. Just look at there market share. I betting big on SteamOS, and once it takes off, I will take the jump. Windows is now to bloated, and with greed, I hope all backers back Vulkan. DX12 on Win 10 only has officially broke the camel back.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/you-can-now-test-directx-12-yourself-with-latest-3dmark-update.210768/
Relevancy 28.38%

This laptop will not save documents or files to the hard drive. They are there when initially saved, but disappear when the system is next switched on.

Anyone help me pls...

A:Laptop Fail to save any data to harddisk

You need to say whether you are new to computers or not and which Windows operating system you have. I remember when we first got a computer many years ago the wife thought that I'd deleted her work. In fact we didn't know whereabouts it was saved and couldn't find our way around. If you are a beginner using Windows 7 try clicking on the Start button and then Documents in the menu that opens to the right. By default that's where things are saved but you can use the Save As option and choose a different location.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-fail-to-save-any-data-to-harddisk.208753/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hello I am new but methods laptop to all it No known and sound fix fail on I find this community to be very informative and friendly so I decided to give it a go I tried several other forums they all fail to find a solution No sound on laptop and all known methods fail to fix it to my problem First off let me fill you in on what the situation is I bought a new HDD for my laptop because the last one got corrupted and I had to change it So I got the new one It was completely fresh out of the shop so I went and installed windows ultimate x and everything was great until my sound mysteriously dissappeared I didn t panic and I went and installed some proper drivers like I always do when this happens I got them from my laptop s brand site and it was the exact match for my sound device so I am sure my drivers are correct And it fixed it for like minutes and then it went off again I restarted the laptop - sound got back - minutes later boom no sound again A restart fixed and so on and so on Basicly a restart fixes it but it is unbearable to have to restart your laptop every minutes I tried restarting the audio service from the quot services msc quot that worked too for like minutes and with every next restart it worked less and less efficient when it got to the point that when I restart the service the audio dissappears again in a few seconds So far I tried basicly anything and nothing worked The thing that bothers me is that a restart service restart fixes it Why is that That makes me think it is not a hardware problem and it is something to do with the software Oh yeah and I considered the OS to be a corrupted install But it s not I tried putting on a new one and it s the same thing And the audio ports are fine too The default sound device is correct too and I even see the green bar going up and down when playing music but I just don t hear any sound That s it I think but I may be leaving some other method I tried out so please tell me your opinions Thank you in advance and have a nice day P S System restore does not work since this started from the very first log in the OS There is nothing I can restore back to And even if I did it would stop minutes after that so nbsp

A:No sound on laptop and all known methods fail to fix it

Go into the properties for the audio service.

Make sure it's set to automatic startup.
Go to 'Recovery' tab. Set the drop-downs to 'Restart the Service'.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-sound-on-laptop-and-all-known-methods-fail-to-fix-it.203859/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi All,

I'm really struggling here. I've just purchased some Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Pro Series Red DDR3 Memory with the Specs CAS 12-13-13-35, 1.65V at 2666MHz. I got 2 sets (2x4GB per set, 16GB overall, all 4 slots are occupied). When I choose the XMP profile, the computer fails to post, it resets and then tells me "overclock failed". To get it to boot I set the speed to 2133MHz and it is now stable.

MoBo is an Asus Maximus Vi Hero (Z87) and a Haswell Core i7 4770K with a H60 closed loop on it.
Power supply is a Corsair AX750.

My question is, why can I not hit the advertised speed of 2666MHz? Do I need to send more voltage through them?

Thanks for your help in advance.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ram-xmp-profiles-fail-to-reach-targeted-speed.203152/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi all I have custom built pc and in last month now and then it switches off I believed it to be a faulty psu but now ive notice blue screen couple of times I looked it up and it points to faulty hard drive .also on restart I get few chkdsk .so I thought ok I got spare harddrive ill clone main one on to that and use that but when I plug it in it shows up but making a weird noise, also secured by bit lock,, I put password in and then it dissapears with error something like cannot be specified ...does this mean both hard drives have failed or could it still be psu maybe not giving enough power..thanks in advance.. any more info please ask

A:Hard drive fail

A noise coming from the hard drive you replace is faulty,,, it's indicates mechanical failure..you better buy new one...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-fail.200737/
Relevancy 28.38%

We have a new Dell Precision laptop but cannot get two of our USB flash drives (both Lexar Jumpdrive SecureII Plus) to work. They work on our other computers. We can connect other USB devices to the new laptop, including an older flash drive. Strangely, if the problem drives are plugged in before the computer starts they will open properly - but I cannot remove them and plug them in again later.

They do beep every so often. USB Mass Storage shows up in Device Manager, with the warning exclamation. Disk Management will briefly show a disk (1 or 2) with "no media"; sometimes it will disappear then reappear for a second or so.

I have checked for USB driver updates, uninstalled and reinstalled USB hubs shown in Device Manager (though I'm plugging directly into the side of the laptop). I do not understand what would cause these drives only to not work with this computer only.

A:Some usbs drive fail to open on newest computer only

I forgot to mention: the laptop is running Windows 7 Pro.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/some-usbs-drive-fail-to-open-on-newest-computer-only.199812/
Relevancy 32.25%

Couple days I got new a case Corsair Graphite 230T Orange. I installed mother board P8Z77-V LX, new cooler Evo212. I THINK I installed the motherboard right in the case. I had to remove 1 pin that was blocking the placement of the board.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=pvyjc&s=5#.UuQzWxA1iUk

A:New case possible short circuiting home

There is 1 board mounting post that needs to be left out from time to time. I even believe I've seen phenolic, or some type of composition pins to be put in that position.

If you look carefully at you board, you may be able to spot the position, by the lack of ground tracks running to it.

Best I can do. BTW, I don't really trust any thing to do with "tinyURL" or similar links. No offense intended.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-case-possible-short-circuiting-home.199656/
Relevancy 28.81%

How serious is this? I'm running on a Dell laptop with a Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller.

It is saying that I should back up all of my important files because of possible hard drive failure.

PLEASE HELP? I don't know how to fix this because I don't know what it means.

A:Hard drive is reporting a Smart Event error message

It telling you your hard drive is on its way out. You can try running a check disk and see if that helps. But to be on the safe side you should back up your personal files.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-is-reporting-a-smart-event-error-message.199432/
Relevancy 32.25%

I have an msi 4 beeps, short long 2 motherboard which I think uses AMI BIOS code and I accidently changed a setting on the BIOS menu and then it restarted and gave me short beeps along with a message that flashed kinda fast saying something along the lines of quot please insert usb flash disk with bios file quot CHECKING FOR USB DEVICE quot DEVICE NOT Found quot Afterwards I removed anything in the USB slots and tried but still got the same message I then read that some people solved the issue 4 short beeps, 2 long by removing the power cord and waiting before removing the CMOS I waited minutes to insure that the extra charge dissipated then 4 short beeps, 2 long removed it I waiting for about minutes before reinstalling it and now I got short beeps a pause and then long beeps I also have no image on the monitor I tried looking into the beeps but I couldn t find a description of this code I could find info for short and info for long but I m not sure what this means either I am not over clocking either It WAS running windows Motherboard gm E - fx GPU MSI Radeon HD CPU AMD FX A single TB Western Digital black HDD Any help would be much appreciated to solving this nbsp

A:4 short beeps, 2 long

Try to used your onboard video card.. pull out your external video card...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/4-short-beeps-2-long.199083/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi I What to fail my workgroup causes network have four pc s connected through a GX-D ASUS switch which is now a few years old Two of the pc s have just been upgraded to windows the other two are on windows Also into the switch goes my BT broadband router and my network hp printer n Suddenly I am losing the complete network during normal use Instead of having green lights on my switch one of them goes amber and another has no light on at all If I unplug the switch from the power and then power back up all the What causes my network workgroup to fail lights go orange What causes my network workgroup to fail and then turn to green and the network comes back on This has never happened before until today and it has happened twice really frustrating I am not very techy and think the switch has became faulty Should I go buy a new switch or might it be something else Need it explaining in layman terms please as I don t have a clue Thanks for your help nbsp

A:What causes my network workgroup to fail

Hi Shelley123. If your router has at least 4 Ethernet ports at the rear, there is no need for a switch as you have 4 pc's. If your "router" only has 1 Ethernet port, what you have is a modem. Normally, your Internet signal comes in and goes to a modem first, and if you have more than 1 pc or devices that need wireless connectivity,you would connect a wireless router to that single modem port and connect your 4 pc's to the 4 ports found on most routers.If you had at least 5 devices that need to be connected by Ethernet cable, you would use a switch which you would connect to one of your router's ports, then connect the fourth pc and any other Ethernet device to one of the 4 or more ports on the switch. Are you sure you are using a switch and not a hub? Could you tell us what other hardware you have in your network besides your 4 pc's which you connect by Ethernet cable?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-causes-my-network-workgroup-to-fail.197556/
Relevancy 28.38%

lt lt RESOLVED gt gt For some reason whenever I try to run the file benchmark on my WD Blue TB or WD Black TB on HDTune Pro it always immediately returns a screen saying quot I O Error Test aborted quot Normally I would understand if this was happening if these drives were HDTune on gives drives I/O very test and new aborts Error old or had any indication that they are dying in some way However both drives have been purchased within the last months and the Blue drive was purchased only four HDTune gives I/O Error and aborts test on very new drives months ago They are each filled to approximately - capacity at the moment with this being the highest capacity the Blue has ever reached while the Black drive at one point hit before I reshuffled some files I haven t noticed any other issues with the drives at all except that HDTune s regular benchmark seems to say that the Blue drive is slightly faster than the Black which clearly shouldn t be the case HDTune s own drive status program shows no SMART issues in any of my drives either Does anyone know what could be causing this or how I could fix it Also I m not sure if this is relevant but my motherboard is currently set to run its SATA ports in quot RAID Mode quot instead of AHCI mode I HDTune gives I/O Error and aborts test on very new drives m not sure if that would matter but I don t currently have a RAID array this setting is just from a previous array that I used to have and now I m afraid that if I change the setting my drives might not boot anymore nbsp

A:HDTune gives I/O Error and aborts test on very new drives

Never mind, I figured it out. Problem was being caused by my drives being assigned as the A: drive and B: drive (Windows 8 allows this, and my slight OCD has always tormented me at not being able to use them for hard drives previous to this, so naturally I jumped on the opportunity to assign those letters). Anyway I reassigned to J: and K: drives just for the purpose of testing and all is now well!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdtune-gives-i-o-error-and-aborts-test-on-very-new-drives.196324/
Relevancy 28.38%

While transportation, probably my Harddisk must have moved or something, now I cant access it.
I have a Western Digital 1TB HD, and a Western Digital 500 GB HD.
Here's an image explaining whats going on! Can anyone help me with this?

A:PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

The message

pxe-61: media failureClick to expand...

is telling you that

the CD has nothing mounted which is bootable
the HD has nothing that is bootable
so it tries to boot using the NIC interface and it too has failed
You need to investigate the MBR and the C:\ partition for validity

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pxe-e61-media-test-failure-check-cable.196241/
Relevancy 28.81%

I recently built a computer with the asus OCII GTX 770 gpu and ran a quick stress test with msi kombustor. I set the setting to no anti-aliasing and 720p resolution (not full screen) and ran the furry and tessy (gl4) stress test. At about 7 minutes my gpu got up to about 83 degrees C with fan speed at 100 percent. I stopped the test as I still don't know too much about stress testing and how hot I should really let my GPU get. I know the NVidia website says the max this card can take is about 98 C but I was wondering if at 7 minutes, 83 degrees C was normal or if that is too hot even for this stress test. Thank you.

A:Question about my stress test results for GTX 770

For a stress test, that's pretty normal on an GPU like that, stress testing pushes the GPU to it limits which most of the time is more than games will even push it. As long as your temp stays below the threshold NVidia says (Which in your case is 98) then your fine. I would however, if you want to improve the temp, see if you can improve the airflow around the GPU area, the Asus Cooling system is pulling in air and pushing it down on the GPU which means you have to move the air once its been pushed over the card. I would try adding a fan around the GPU exhausting if your worried.

But honestly, your fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-my-stress-test-results-for-gtx-770.195951/
Relevancy 29.24%

I have an intel core i7 4770k and I'm not overclocking it at the moment. My idle temps are around 28 degrees Celsius. Is it still necessary to run a program like prime95 and stress test my cpu even though I am not overclocking?

A:Do I need to stress test if I'm not overclocking?

It's not necessary, but you can still check the stability of your system, regardless of whether you are over-clocking. I've heard many times, servers are done so to prepare them for future task. Running the test will allow them to potentially catch any issues before they are brought on-line.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/do-i-need-to-stress-test-if-im-not-overclocking.195749/
Relevancy 28.81%

So I got my graphics card, memory and cpu heatsink attached to my asus sabertooth z87 mobo and test with an external test. I get 1 long beep followed by 5 short beeps, although there is a small pause before the final (5th) beep. Now I only have the speaker in and do not have anything connected to a monitor. The manual says 1 continuous beep followed by 4 short ones is hardware failure but it doesn't say anything about a 5th beep that comes after a small pause. Could any of this have to do with the fact that I do not have a monitor plugged in anywhere? Other components:
GTX 770
Corsiar vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz
Hyper 212 EVO

A:First time external test with mobo

Okay so now I put it in a monitor and an error message came up saying cpu fan error and im in the bios screen now. anyone ever have this problem?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/first-time-external-test-with-mobo.194977/
Relevancy 30.53%

I prefer Iphone 4s

A:Which is the best Smart yet?

You are aware they're the same phone lol? Rather, there isn't an iPhone (Unless you're thinking first generation) and the 4S is simply the iPhone 4S.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/which-is-the-best-smart-yet.193518/
Relevancy 29.24%

This is my first post and hope I am doing it right, if this is the wrong place to post...I apologize.
quite often when opening a web site I get the error "Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED): Unable to resolve the server's DNS address."
If I refresh the page usually I am able to open it. I am using chrome.

Thank You

A:DNS Look up fail error

Try this:
Go to the start menu and type in CMD-->Right click on CMD, and press "Run as Administrator"-->type this in exactly: ipconfig /flushdns

Tell me if this works out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dns-look-up-fail-error.193748/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hello all members,
I was searching for dedicated server for one of my clients and whenever I find a new host, I try to test dedicated server speed by downloading sample files. Recently, I have tested atlantic.net dedicated server speed, but how can I be sure that this speed will remain the same for my client's after buying?

FYI, here is the link from where I have tested dedicated server speed:

atlantic.net/dedicated-servers/dedicated-server-speed-test.htmlClick to expand...

A:Dedicated server speed test

Hmm; would appear that you are referring to a network bandwidth test.
However, as I write this Atlantic.net is DOWN - - ping just gets 110% timeouts.

This link has some reviews you might like to see.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dedicated-server-speed-test.192319/
Relevancy 28.38%

What is the usual diagnosis or outcome when an HP C AIO won HP many not self errors diagnostic; test printing printer t print a correct Self Test Diagnostic from control panel It printed it one won t print another because of multiple errors was missing ALL data from boxes amp sections of pg report - except color print test boxes looked fine Just printed report sections headers amp data boxes Gone through usual printer reset steps power reset HP printer not printing self test diagnostic; many errors clearing hardware error codes via quot secret menu quot then unplugging amp waiting sec That clears or more errors but they re-appear The errors just rotate clear another pops Carriage or paper jam neither true carriage moves easily HP printer not printing self test diagnostic; many errors by hand - isn t quot jammed quot when reports it Hitting OK starts carriage moving again No paper or bits Took lid amp top cover off No paper bits that are visible - front back inside paper tray area w o dismantling entire unit Ink system failure printed perfect text lines amp color boxes on the partial HP printer not printing self test diagnostic; many errors self test after that error appeared amp was cleared - several times Pump Motor Stalled DON T think ink motor is stalled or not working Printed perfect lines headings amp color boxes on the one self test lacking data With top cover off can see all pump gears belt turning normally in warm up Pump sounds normal during printer prep Paper pick up rollers NOT turning - that s true except for ONE self test w o the data They turn easily by hand not dirty - just don t engage Is it just fried With so many errors - most seem false AND unable to print accurate self test diagnostic not sure this is just a quot reset quot issue Had a power outage - but it was on surge protector UPS w voltage control - ALONG w modem router VOIP ATA PC monitor None were damaged Tried plugging printer into wall outlet - no change DC voltage of printer adapter checks OK w meter IS it a POSSIBILITY though AC adapter voltage is OK it s not delivering correct mA Not sure how to check DC mA of AC adapter - any advice there It cost after tax - yrs ago at steep discount Light use If it s toast not sure I d buy an HP not just because of this - more for HP s apparent declining reputation For avg home use - All In One types wondering which brand now has best satisfaction reliability AND least trouble using generic ink Maybe they re all junk now As in now yrs of light use may be avg life DON T want one w colors combined in or cartridges Thanks nbsp

A:HP printer not printing self test diagnostic; many errors

Seems toast to me. You've been pretty thorough.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-printer-not-printing-self-test-diagnostic-many-errors.190628/
Relevancy 25.8%

Ok here s the history of the problem I have GB Hard drive quot Samsung sp c quot and I am using it since two years with my old desktop system with this S M A R T error at the startup BIOS TWO YEARS BACK I think there are some bad sectors involved at the last part of the HDD space There were partitions initially I e C D E amp F The problem started with partition #83" attribute "1720-SMART failure failing? drive detects imminent hard failed: ... HDD error F with following issues Always took so long copying files into F System got stuck up when some file s folder s from F drive were opened and then automatic restart That time ran CHKDSK on F drive but in the middle of scanning it always restarted the PC automatically Sometimes system restarted when I was copying some HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing? random data in the F partition Whenever this restart thing happened at the start up it displayed that there is no primary hard drive detected Then eventually it came back live after - attempts always I also deleted the Partition F and then recreated the partition but same problems persisted YEAR BACK Due to above issues HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing? I left the partition F as it was and used others like C D amp E but an year before the partition E started to do things same way F was doing and at that point F was not accessible with error popping The disk is not formatted Do you want to format it now I formatted the partition F and ran following HDD tools afterwards Partition Table Doctor HDD Regenerator Surface tests for C D E was fine but when it started scanning the HDD somewhere in F partition area these tools messed up with something took so long stuck at sectors for long time without repairing it MONTHS BACK I came to know that there are some serious issues in the HDD sectors inside the last GB part of HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing? the hard disk I made partitions C D E F G The G partition was for GB space and I never opened this drive since I created it because this will cause same problem what the F was doing before NOW I don t have much issues with C D E amp F while operating them Don t use F too much to be at safe side But I feel that HDD is very slow overall and and every time I turn this system on I get quot -SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure Attribute failed quot Wondering if it could be fixed or not and I know and understand that my hard disk was failing ever since and most of you guys will advice to back up and purchase a new one but I am still on to fix this one and as if there s any way to get it right up Many Thanks nbsp

A:HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing?

The fundamentals still apply:

for every partition ?X?
chkdsk ?X? /f /r​
The /R will remap bad sectors in an effort to avoid future I/o errors.

a} fix all partitions
b} get the SMART data and save it for reverence (it will not be reset to zero by chkdsk)
c} view the SMART data every day
d} look for increasing statistics

PLAN on getting a new HDD asap

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-error-1720-smart-hard-drive-detects-imminent-failure-attribute-failed-83-failing.190152/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hello guys I have a acer aspire one d250 (kav60) , and I think I downloaded the wrong flash bios file and since then my laptop won't turn on ((( if anyone have an idea what to do please REPLY

A:BIOS fail, laptop won't turn on :(

Why were you changing your BIOS on a laptop in the first place?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-fail-laptop-wont-turn-on.190128/
Relevancy 32.25%

Well hello a few days ago I stumbled on my own feet and my laptop slipped out of my hands breaking the hinges until I will get LCD short cable circuit new parts I decided to still use it today while watching a movie the lid curved back a little leaving me with a white screen adjusting the lid back fixed the problem although it happened everal more times with either white or blavk screen later forgetting the hinge issue I laid it down on the table when it seemed to crash and shut itself down after turning it on again I saw a flash where the lcd cable goes and smelled LCD cable short circuit something burning now the screen is black when turned on the vent starts in about seconds and after - seconds it shuts down again the cable also LCD cable short circuit obviously looks burnt so the questions are can I fix the cable would replacing it help could the short circuit have damaged other hardware is it even a cable issue that makes the shutdowns appear I have a dell latitude e and I would love the one helping me out till I die nbsp

A:LCD cable short circuit

Have you got an external monitor/tv to plug it into to test?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lcd-cable-short-circuit.189115/
Relevancy 31.82%

I recently purchased an Asus N56V Series laptop. The laptop has impressive specs, including an i7 Core and a Nvidia GT 635M graphics adaptor, so I can understand it having a below average battery life. However, I am only getting 1 to 2 hours of battery life on it, even when I am not running processor and graphic intensive programs. Product review indicate that will battery life for this laptop is below average, the battery should still last 4 hours under normal conditions.

Is there any reason why my battery life is so limited? Has anyone else had similar problems with this model of laptop?

Thanks for the help.

A:Surprisingly short battery life on new laptop

Are WiFi enabled or Bluetooth? Unless absolutely required, disable.

Also look thru the Control Panel for Power Options and be sure to reduce usage for the Battery Choices.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/surprisingly-short-battery-life-on-new-laptop.188612/
Relevancy 28.81%

The quot smart quot pin center pin on laptop power supply connectors is used for the purpose of the computer being able to determine the amperage or wattage if you prefer of the volt power supply that is plugged in to it so it does not exceed it s capacity especially when the computer is running AND charging the battery or batteries at the same time I found a thread relating to this topic but it is closed and it did NOT provide the answer that I was looking for anyways I believe that the power voltage-to-capacity Smart supplies pin correlation for laptop pin voltage will vary between around - volts to maybe - volts The higher the voltage the more current amps the PS can deliver If the pin voltage is outside of this range or the center wire is broken off at the connector the laptop will not run off of it at least for HP compaq laptops I run into the broken off center conductor wire scenario regularly I suppose that is the one that always Smart pin voltage-to-capacity correlation for laptop power supplies breaks first because it is the Smart pin voltage-to-capacity correlation for laptop power supplies thinnest of the wires going to the plug from the PS I use one of those amp brick-sized power supplies on my compaq b because it has a secondary battery attached to it underneath But the interesting thing is that I had the PS connected to a Dell laptop once and it would run the computer but refused to charge the battery When the PS was plugged into it a message would come up on the screen stating that the type of the PS could not be determined Assuming that ALL brands of laptops now use the same type of power connector is there any sort of quot standard quot among manufacturers that correlates center-pin voltage with PS capacity or is it wide open to whatever they decide If there is a standard could someone please provide me with the link to some sort of quot correlation table quot showing center pin voltage vs PS capacity nbsp

A:Smart pin voltage-to-capacity correlation for laptop power supplies

You are talking about AC adapters right?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/smart-pin-voltage-to-capacity-correlation-for-laptop-power-supplies.178875/
Relevancy 29.24%

Beside of Ping and tracert cmd, IS that any tool which i can use to test network latency?

A:Network latency test

on windows pathping
let it run to completion and you get a better picture ot the path to your destination.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-latency-test.168744/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with putting together a desktop pc from scratch test Compatibility I haven t done this before and I was wondering if someone could help me in determining if these parts will go together I looking to build a gaming pc These are the parts I m hoping can go together If there is a better deal or Compatibility test better performance Compatibility test system for the same budget I would be glad to know CPU AMD - FD FRGUBOX Motherboard Gigabyte - GA- FXA-UD Memory Compatibility test Corsair - CMV GX M A C SSD Corsair - CSSD-F GBGT-BK HDD Western Digital - WD EZRX Case Antec - LANBOYAIR-RED Video Card EVGA - G-P - -KR Sound Card ASUS - Xonar-DX PSU Antec - EA- -GREEN Moniter Acer - S HL Blu-Ray Burner Panasonic - UJ- Wireless Card D-Link - DWA- Moniter Acer - S HL Mouse Logitech - - Keyboard CoolerMaster - SGK- -GKCC Network Card - Wired INTELLINET - OS Either Windows Professional or Windows Release Preview Webcam Microsoft - PD- nbsp

A:Compatibility test

Hi Dillon, there's a few things that you could tell us to help us help you.
1. Do you have a budget?
2. Are you willing to buy online?
3. What is your intended usage for this PC? Anything other than gaming?
4. Do you require any specific parts?

as for your current list, It looks OK, but I would make some changes.

firstly, switch the AMD FX-4170 out for an intel i5. I run an FX-6100 in my rig, and it performs nicely, but it's not so great for intense gaming (BF3, Metro 2033, Crysis, etc.) I'd go with the intel i5 3570K or the 2500K. A nice Motherboard to go along with that CPU would be the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H, which is around $175.
Also, I'd suggest you look into getting an aftermarket Heatsink for your CPU. the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO is insanely good for the price of around $35, so I highly recommend that.
Next, the EVGA GTX560Ti is a great choice for gaming, but at around $330 (AUD) it's a bit pricey, and you'd be happier with a HD7870 or a GTX570. here are four cards I'd recommend:

AMD: Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB GHz - $320
or if you're willing to spend a little extra: MSI R7950 - $369
both these cards would outperform a 560Ti, plus they're PCI3.0

NVIDIA: ASUS GTX570 - $309
or if you're willing to spend a little extra: Gigabyte GTX670 - $399
these cards would absolutely demolish any game when paired up with a 3570K or a 2500K.

my personal recommendation would be:
CPU: intel i5 3570K
GPU: MSI R7950
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - $175
HSF: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO - $35

this list is just my opinion, so feel free to disregard :3

Anyway, moving on, the rest of the parts seem good, it's just those few things I wanted to point out. I'm sure other techspotters will help soon enough too.
Good luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/compatibility-test.183000/
Relevancy 28.38%

So for many weeks, I had the blue screen startup loop problem. I finally managed to log in Somehow and reformatted my computer. Now I am receiving a hard drive failing message, and the internet says I should download crystal disk. I did so, and this is what it says

Would be grateful is someone could tell me how to solve this, or if I have to replace it =/

A:Windows 7 hard drive fail message

You'll have to replace it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-hard-drive-fail-message.182416/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi all, here is my question I'm recently building my first PC and and unfortunately I am only able to order part by part. Currently I have my processor, motherboard, power supply and will be ordering my memory next. my processor is a i5 3570k with the Integrated HD4000 Graphics and mobo is a MSI Z77A-GD65, so I planned on using the on-board graphics till I can afford an aftermarket one.

So basically my question is with the processor, mobo, power supply and memory in hand will I be able to run a test boot on the system so I can make sure I don't have any defected or broken parts. If not can you list any extra parts ill need before I can try a test boot. thank you very much.

A:Quick question on test boot

You'll need RAM to seal that deal. The bare components you'll need for a boot/POST are CPU, PSU, board and RAM...a monitor and keyboard wouldn't go amiss either.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/quick-question-on-test-boot.182253/
Relevancy 28.81%

I have gt Windows XP Pro SP x gt x gb sata hd gt x gb sata hd gt x gb sata hd tests disks still problems Hard giving SMART passing but Note on gb HD my gb is the one having the Windows OS and does not report any errors in the Hard disks passing SMART tests but still giving problems event log Note on gb HD Hard disks passing SMART tests but still giving problems i think my gb has failed sometimes it does not show up in the bios a controller issue i presume but when it does get detected and i run SeaTools for Windows the gb will pass these tests SMART - Pass Long DST - Pass The event log would show same errors as it does for the gb below so i have just disconnected it for now Note on gb HD but my issue here is with the gb which is even more weird this is what happened on Friday the th after midnight gt HD started making those annoying clicking noises gt Playing music files from this drive would loop about sec of the track like as if scratching the disc gt Event log has gt gt gt source atapi gt gt gt gt gt id - The device Device Ide IdePort did not respond within the timeout period gt gt gt gt gt id - The driver detected a controller error on Device Ide IdePort gt gt gt gt gt id - The device Device Ide IdePort is not ready for access yet gt gt gt gt gt id - The driver has detected that device Device Ide IdePort has old or out-of-date firmware Reduced performance may result gt gt gt source disk gt gt gt gt gt id - The driver detected a controller error on Device Harddisk D gt gt gt source ftdisk gt gt gt gt gt id - The system failed to flush data to the transaction log Corruption may occur NOTE i think this above was for the gb hd gt gt gt source i prt gt gt gt gt gt id - The ring buffer that stores incoming mouse data has overflowed buffer size is configurable via the PS mouse properties in device manager gt gt gt source cdrom gt gt gt gt gt id - The device Device CdRom has a bad block NOTE this above is when i tried burning SeaTools for Dos on CD I saw this error so burned it multiple times and when i tested the CD it had burned fine and was bootable Running SeaTools for Windows the gb hd passes these tests SMART - Pass Long DST - Pass Long Generic - Pass NOTE tests were run after the problems occurred The thing is that today now music is playing properly and at the same time i was running the Long Generic test Event log has not reported any problems for more than hours This is all weird cuz both the HD s pass the SeaTools tests on multiple occasions and are fairly new gb is a year old while the gb is kinda new I am wondering if the motherboard is at fault or the cables need replacing or something I will later be testing the motherboard and chipset by running Hot CPU Tester but in the meantime could someone please help me figure out if there are other problems i need to look into Also can the clicking noise occur if the hard disk is very close to a strong electromagnetic field like it was close to an old AC Servo Stabilizer Voltage Regulator that i use to supply power to the computer Now it doesn t make a click when the HD is idle or even when in use I have rebooted the computer several times to hear for any HD clicks I have even tried unloading and reloading the HD via Disk Management but it does not click anymore Any insight would be appreciated nbsp

A:Hard disks passing SMART tests but still giving problems

In my experience i hear clicking sound with my external usb hdd, when it has problem getting enough power (too many devices installed and with lower power supply rating 300W). Have you tried dis/reconnecting the data and power cable of your hdd or reseting BIOS setting to default?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disks-passing-smart-tests-but-still-giving-problems.176225/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hello, my ex built me this computer about 7 years ago and have not had issues with it since. Currently when I start up the computer it goes the black screen that shows the PCI device listings along with First SATA> Master DISK LBA, SATA 1, 300GB. It has a underscore bar at the bottom left of the screen that blinks then after a few seconds disappears and the PC appears to freeze. Does it sound like my hard drive may have failed?

I have hit the del button at the start that puts me into the Phoenix -Award BIOS CMOS setup Utility and shows First SATA Master WDC WD300JD-00K. I do not hear any beeps at all when I start it up either.
I hope this is enough information, as I am not tech savey at the least

Thank you!

A:HDD fail?

No I don't think that your HDD failed or else it wouldn't even list in the BIOS CMOS setup utility. You also mentioned that it doesn't beep when you boot it up at all either that is a sure sign that your HDD didn't fail because it would make some sort of beeping noise. Just to be sure however I would pull the side off of the computer and listen to the HDD to see if it makes in peculiar sounds or beeps. I also need to know does the computer still boot up after the black screen and the pci device list?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-fail.173324/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hi
I just moved my system (Asus M2N sli deluxe) to a new Antec computer case, and installed a large Noctua heat sink. Still using the same video card (Asus en7200gs). when I tried to boot up I got the error code. Makes sense b/c I don't get any video. I tried re-seating the video card and tried a different slot. No luck.

I just ordered a new video card to try out (I could use the HDMI upgrade anyways), but I have doubts that will fix it based on other inconclusive threads I have read.

What else could the problem be? Could it be the new CPU heatsink? Maybe the motherboard is bowed? Anything else I can try?

A:Award BIOS - 1 long, 2 short beeps - video error

Just try the new video card when it comes in. The beeping may mean that the motherboard is okay

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/award-bios-1-long-2-short-beeps-video-error.172328/
Relevancy 29.24%

I've spent hours trying to get my DVD burner to write. I've done all the things suggested by Roxio and by HP, but it still will not burn video. Burns audio fine. Is it possible for a burner to fail this way??

A:Can DVD burner fail although CDs still write?

Of course it is possible... replace the optical drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-dvd-burner-fail-although-cds-still-write.170919/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi I had defragment running on my laptop then while it was running i uninstalled malware anubyte from my laptop and it asked me to restart the laptop so i cancelled the defragment and restarted my laptop Then after restarting it said computer had some peoblems so disk Hard fail detection run the repair or start normally but start normally when Hard disk detection fail was clicked it just kept on showing starting windows logo but the Hard disk detection fail laptop didnt start so restarted it again and tried again but still didnt start even with repair and i repeated the process Then at one point it stopped detecting my hard disk and then i ran via bootdisk i kept it the whole day it reached the postion where it showed me my folders but i couldnt copy or do anything with it then i restarted again AFter certain point without bootdisk it didnt detect hard disk and asked for boot disk and the bios also didnt detect i even tried placing my hard disk in another lapto p and it too didnt detect So could the problem be with software or hardware Help qould be really appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Hard disk detection fail

This sounds like a dead or dying hard disk. What brand is your disk? Most hard disk manufacturers have diagnostic software that can be downloaded and burned on a CD to be booted from. They can run all kind of tests to see if you hard disk is in good shape.

But if two different computers are unable to even detect the hard disk, I'm quite sure it's faulty.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-detection-fail.169049/
Relevancy 29.24%

My father recently bought some more RAM (4 gb for a total of 6gb). Since he put it in his PC has been acting funny. Now he is getting hard drive fail messages during the boot up. His HD then started making clicking noises which in my past experience means the HD is done. Now he can't boot up at all. I didn't think RAM could do that. The RAM is identical to the other RAM, they're both DDR2 and both PC5200. His HP is upgradeable to 8gb of RAM.

Thanks for any help.

A:Can RAM cause a hard drive to fail?

AFAIK, not likely.
It might just be coincidence.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-ram-cause-a-hard-drive-to-fail.168260/
Relevancy 29.67%

Good day everyone Well I have reached the point with my old machine where I am fed up with it s at this New smart machine time? gaming performance I New gaming machine smart at this time? am still New gaming machine smart at this time? running a single core with a GT for graphics Needless to say coupled to a inch monitor running at resolution I can t play even old games on medium settings I have come up with a budget system right now all I can afford and I think it offers a lot of options for the future However I have been out of the hardware loop for a good years now I have spent the last month catching up on information I am going to explain my specs and my reasons for them and hopefully some hardcore hardware gurus can help me confirm I am making the right choices CPU AMD Phenom II X Black Edition GHZ MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte GA- FXA-UD RAM Corsair XMS CMX GX M A C GB X GB DDR - VIDEO CARD MSI N GTX Twin Frozr II OC CASE Corsair Obsidian Series D PSU Corsair Professional Series Gold AX Now the first thing that jumps out is yes I am thinking of diving right into the FX chipset This way I am ready to upgrade anytime once the upcoming Bulldozer series is released from AMD Also with this motherboard I can run a SLI Nvidia setup with a AMD CPU something that hasn t been possible in the past The CPU has very good overclocking ability so I hear and I see no point in buying a core CPU right now when the core Bulldozers are just around the corner This is a steal of a deal at including the HSF Not to mention virtually nothing available can take advantage of cores and I do not do ANY video editing The video card is not entirely what I want I wanted a GTX but it simply is not in the cards For a price jump of more to get into a GTX I have heard it is not worth it The GTX can overclock to near speeds and GTX s give almost identical performance to a GTX SLI setup for half the price In the near future probably months or so I can buy another GTX and SLI that setup and be good for a few years to come The power supply is big enough that I can SLI any Nvidia cards out there since I have no interest in ever running more than graphics cards at once The case is huge and easy to build in While expensive I think the case is one that is worth keeping for years to come I know I will always be able to handle bigger motherboards and bigger video cards down the road let s face it hardware is not shrinking All in all I just want to play current and future games for at least the next year or two I cannot stand lag and turned down graphics it just ruins the game play experience I do not edit video use photoshop to create digital art or anything of that sort This is strictly for watching movies listening to music browsing and playing games Does it sound like this is a good way to go nbsp

A:New gaming machine smart at this time?

Looks fine. You've obviously looked at a build with a degree of futureproofing (as much as there can be) in mind and some solid choices in build quality/warranty/longevity/expandibility.
I own an 800D, and they are a very roomy chassis. The 700D offers a little more for a few less dollars- although you would have to do without the window.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-gaming-machine-smart-at-this-time.166427/
Relevancy 28.81%

It would appear that there was some type of caulking holding the digitizer down. I've managed to hold it in place with 4 drops of superglue in select places. didn't do a heavy duty job, I just want it to stay in place till I can get my hands on the right stuff. Anyone know what kind of glue it is and where I can get some?

Also, when I replaced my digitizer sometimes the screen is unresponsive. It works about 95% of the time but I would like it to work 100% of the time.

I have the LG quantum C900 if anyone needs to know.

A:Replaced my digitizer in my smart phone, need special glue

yRaz said:

It would appear that there was some type of caulking holding the digitizer down. I've managed to hold it in place with 4 drops of superglue in select places.Click to expand...

Do you know what happens to Styrofoam when you put a drop of Super-Glue on it ?

yRaz said:

Anyone know what kind of glue it is and where I can get some?Click to expand...

I don't know what they use on mobile phones however the electrician whom I took my *shower proof* battery powered shaver to, for a replacement battery. Said that stuff was just 'nothing more than hot melt glue' see HMA wiki-link here

If you don't have a *Hot Melt Glue Gun* you don't know what your life is missing :haha:_

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replaced-my-digitizer-in-my-smart-phone-need-special-glue.164531/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi, (First Post)

While it is often true that when you get no post after startup, that it is often the powersupply - it would be nice to know if the motherboard is functioning properly.
I use power supply testers, a great time saver, but does anyone know of a reasonalby inexpensive motherboard tester on the market?

A:Board test equipment

Well, I have seen a few mobo/ram testers on Ebay but have no idea how good they are. Just do a search on there for motherboard tester and several will come up, they are about 20.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/board-test-equipment.162741/
Relevancy 24.94%

Have a "pxe-e61: media test failure, check cable" error on a toshiba satelitte L455-S5975, Windows 7

Had to replace hard drive because orginal failed. Changed BIOS to boot CD/DVD drive first, then hard drive second, to load Windows. When I started laptop I received "pxe-e61: media test failure, check cable" error. I changed BIOS to load the hard drive 1st, CD/DVD 2nd. same issue.
- BIOS does identify both HDD & CD/DVD drives.
- CD/DVD drive was working correctly right before the old HDD failed.

What else can I do?

Thanks.

A:"Pxe-e61: media test failure" error help

Go into your Bios and see if Network is in the boot order and disable it. Then try to boot again and post back what happens.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pxe-e61-media-test-failure-error-help.162394/
Relevancy 29.24%

hello
my usb is a usb of kingmax.it fail firmware and i don't know fix this error,
can someone help me fix this problem ?
thank you very much.

A:Firmware for USB fail

Hi, I personally don't understand you problems exacty..
What is the that device? is a flash or something else.
Does it say "FIRMWARE FAIL" or you just came up with you own error?
Reply that then we will see how to help you...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/firmware-for-usb-fail.160733/
Relevancy 29.24%

Haf X Asus Rampage III Formula Core I - stock Cooler Master V CPU Cooler kits GB of G SKILL Ripjaws Series GB x GB DDR PC Desktop Memory Model F - CL D- GBRL running in triple channel x Palit GB GTX in SLI Corsair TX watt PSU Windows Pro bit Well first off I m on my second build and I intend to OC My first build was nothing but making sure the Ram was clocked and timed according to specs and unlocking my BE s extra cores On this build all I ve been running is basic tasks and not much gaming on stock settings for several New rig: test stability errors Pre-OC'ing weeks I want to get a moderate overclock ghz on New rig: Pre-OC'ing stability test errors my i - would be nice for starters The overclocking guide I found said to make sure my system was stable at stock I m actually a little bit surprised I hadn t ran prime already When I realized I hadn t even downloaded prime I decided to do so and run it And to my surprise I get an error not mins into the blend test quot FATAL ERROR Rounding was expected less than Hardware failure detected consult stress txt file quot I ve never actually gotten an error from prime because my first build wasn t built for OC ing and pushing the hardware to its limits I m not actually quite sure where to go from here Any advice The blend test of prime says it tests the CPU and some Ram should I start to prepare myself mentally for RMA ing at least one component nbsp

A:New rig: Pre-OC'ing stability test errors

this could be a problem with your ram why you need 24GB is crazy to much of a chance of one of the sticks being bad i would try them all separate and see if you still get the error.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-rig-pre-ocing-stability-test-errors.159769/
Relevancy 27.95%

Okay here goes I have no sound on a system I ve built It has a biostar mobo with an onboard Realtek for VIA Audio Controller The OS is Windows XP SP with everything updated I have installed all the proper drivers shows Windows, hardware and No despite what dxdiag, test sound... directly from either Biostar or No sound... despite what Windows, dxdiag, and hardware test shows Realtek Whether I use simple headphones or simple stereo amplified computer speakers I have no sound No sound... despite what Windows, dxdiag, and hardware test shows The Windows hardware test the one where you read into the microphone and it shows both the record and playback levels shows great level in each but I have no sound despite what Windows says I ve installed all Chipset No sound... despite what Windows, dxdiag, and hardware test shows drivers as well directly from Biostar I ve run a dxdiag and this is the error code it is showing - quot DirectSound test results Failure at step User verification of software HRESULT x error code dxdiag also noted that the the ALCXWDM SYS is not digitally signed by WHQL the Windows Hardware Quality Lab but I have never had that be an issue Many drivers are not signed Anybody have any idea I ve built dozens of systems over the years repaired many more and I have never dealt with this nbsp

A:No sound... despite what Windows, dxdiag, and hardware test shows

Based on all you say, my best guess is it's a hardware issue as all the drivers/software/Windows seems to think everything is fine. (maybe the audio jacks are broken or not connecting to mobo? idk... just guesses)

I've run a dxdiag and this is the error code it is showing - "DirectSound test results: Failure at step 19 (User verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)Click to expand...

That result happens when you ran the DirectSound test and you told Dxdiag you couldn't hear anything (i.e. user verification is what failed)

dxdiag also noted that the the ALCXWDM.SYS is not digitally signed by WHQL (the Windows Hardware Quality Lab), but I have never had that be an issue. Many drivers are not signed.Click to expand...

Agree, that's not the issue

The Windows hardware test (the one where you read into the microphone and it shows both the record and playback levels shows great level in each, but I have no sound, despite what Windows says.Click to expand...

As far as windows is concerned, it thinks your sound is fine (again, makes me think is purely hardware is my guess)

/* EDIT */
One other thought (tho don't know if applies) but under Ctl Panel->Sound, i think under Audio tab(?), check that the default playback device is set correctly (in case it lists more then one playback device)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-sound-despite-what-windows-dxdiag-and-hardware-test-shows.159815/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hey everyone So I ve currently moved houses but before I did I used to live with mates and my computer running windows was constantly on acting as the houses media server using TVersity to WD external 1TB fail? access and share all my movies and music via my external WD TB USB hard drive This had been the case for the last year and during this time I have not had any problems with it At times the movies lagged but seeing as they were going from the external HDD through my computer over the network and played on WD 1TB external fail? other PC s laptops ps s I put it down to the network load slowing them down and making them choppy as well as the dual core processor that I had in my computer not being able to keep up with the data requests As I said I have moved in to a new house and still obtain all my gear PC netgear router WD TB external HDD but after the initial set up of all my stuff I can no longer find my external harddrive on my computer It doesnt come up in My Computer It doesnt come up in Device manager It doesnt come up in Disc manager Here s where it get s a bit weird though After I plugged it into my PC and connected to the internet which I had at my old place too it downloaded quot Initio combo device class quot driver software for the HDD which I never needed before After downloading the drivers there was no difference to my problem it still does not appear in My Comp Device manager Disc Manager Under the USB Controllers tab in Device manager it does recognise a Mass Storage Device though When plugging unplugging the external HDD to the PC laptop laptop also runs Win through the USB connections i did try multiple USB ports on both the PC Laptop too make sure that wasnt the problem it makes the windows sounds that are used for detecting the addition or removal of a external device so both PC and laptop are detecting that it is there it s just not showing up anywhere I m very careful with my equiptmaent to so its not as if I ve dropped it or anything like that but when I moved it just stopped working for some reason I ve been looking all over for answers to this and just can t find anything relevant to my search I a m also using all the original cabeling that I had set up at my old house too I ll be interested to see if anyone can help me with this because the only thing I can come up with is that it s died along the way from my old house to the new one but seeing as I cant access anything on it Im not sure if its because theres no data being accessed which is the reason it is so quiet Blue power light is on and solid at the back aswell Thoughts nbsp

A:WD 1TB external fail?

Does the external drive have an external power source, or is it powered via USB?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-1tb-external-fail.159683/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hi, can anyone tell me how i can test my ram please ?
I have 12gig of DDR 3 and memtest cant allocate it for some reason, the OS see's all the ram as does the bios, so how can i test its integrity ?

Thanks.

A:RAM test?

Hi vale
You try Mem scope which you can download here
http://www.micro2000uk.co.uk/products/microscope/MemScope_Free_Memory_Tester.htm

Download the iso and burn to cd.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ram-test.158744/
Relevancy 29.24%

With HD Tune Pro it shows

C7 CRC DATA ERROR it says warning.

When I use HD Sentinel it shows those errors but says ok and all it 100 percent no warning.

My COCD is bothering me with how HD Tune says warning.

IS there any way I can reset or clear that value so hd tune will say ok instead of warning. Thanks a lot

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cocd-is-bothering-me-can-i-erase-or-reset-smart-value.158075/
Relevancy 30.1%

Hello peeps.

So this morning I got a warning regarding my 500GB Hitachi hard disk, regarding the relocated sector count.

I wont img tag the picture, as its 1280x800 pixels, but the link to it is here. I found making it any smaller from its original 1680x1050 size just made it unreadable.

Should I be worried about this kind of warning? As of a couple of days ago I moved my entire linux setup to this hard disk, and I'm still moving all my files from temp storage to where they should be in my /home partition, but I'm kinda worried its now going to fail on me.

Whats your thoughts peeps? Am I good to go, or should I be ordering a new HDD as soon as practically possible?

P.S. If this fails it'll be my first ever HDD failure! :haha:

A:I have a SMART status warning - Not sure if it's bad or not

Four bad sectors reported. If I got this warning, I would replace it. You could run the linux equivalent of chkdsk afterward to see if you can salvage the drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-have-a-smart-status-warning-not-sure-if-its-bad-or-not.157348/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi,
My PC recently started to freeze so I did a PSU test with a tester & it showed no -5v LED when testing the 24pin connection. I bought a new PSU and had the same problem with the PC. I tested the new PSU and again it showed no light for -5v. What is going on?? Is it coincidence both PSUs failed on -5v or is my set damaging the PSU? The old PSU was an enermax 650x and the new one is a coolermaster 600w. I don't really need the wattage but it was always in case of an upgrade.

Please help!!

thanks

A:PSU test results - what does it mean?

Either your tester's dodgy or you've got a case of really bad luck and two faulty PSUs. If the -5v rail test light isn't on, I can only assume that there's no current going through it. If it's the type of tester I think it is;

Green = in range (close enough to the correct voltage - think tolerance is about 5%)
Red or Orange = out of range (too high or too low; faulty)
No LED = Immediate fail or the pin isn't conducting properly with the tester

Check out the pic below (hope it works) and see if that pin is connecting with the corresponding pin on the tester. If it is, then yeah. Broken tester or broken PSUs.

Most testers are fine, but just like all other electronic items it could be faulty... I'd be tempted to try another tester or confirm with a 3rd power supply - preferably one that IS already tested to be okay. It's highly unlikely your tester is breaking the supplies.

If it's starting to freeze, give your machine a RAM test and Hard Drive test. If they both pass it's likely (likely! not definitely!) software - nothing a format/reload can't fix

Hope that helps mate.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/psu-test-results-what-does-it-mean.155271/
Relevancy 28.81%

I have tried updating several times my ATI drivers with no success. The catylist software installs fine but the driver fails. I have tried uninstalling first, rebooting, then installing with no luck, even tried an older driver with no luck. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

A:ATI Radeon 3650 driver fail

What are you updating; a PC or a laptop?
Who is the computer manufacturer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ati-radeon-3650-driver-fail.153939/
Relevancy 28.81%

I was given an old desktop from a place I work because it no longer worked and it was time for them to upgrade anyways It was easy to determine that the only problem was the HDD was corrupted I have a new HDD I am going to install but I results... Memtest86+ test advice? wanted to check the RAM since that may have caused the corruption With all modules installed x gb x mb I ran Memtest There was an error on the first pass zero errors on the second pass I ran Memtest on each module individually to determine the faulty stick but all passed on at least two passes I was hoping the faulty stick would show up I reinstalled ALL sticks and have Memtest86+ test results... advice? been running Memtest for the last hours no errors on passes Stupid me for not writing down the first error I received I d like to figure out if something is wrong before I go forward and start using the computer What would you guys do in this case If I knew what module initially caused the error I d automatically replace it but I only know it was one of the four nbsp

A:Memtest86+ test results... advice?

I reinstalled ALL sticks and have been running Memtest for the last 24 hours...no errors on 14 passes.Click to expand...

In that case, I find it likely that there is nothing wrong despite the previous error.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/memtest86-test-results-advice.153732/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hey every one I have a Video card problem I hope you can help with.....
I have a Pentium (R) Dual-Core
[email protected]
2.50 Ghz,3.00Gb Ram
On Win XP with SP3

Everytime I try to download a driver for my Geforce 9800 GTX plus I get the same error message from many sites......(The NVIDIA set up program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware.Set up will now exit) I do have the yellow question marks in the device manager..It say's (The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver..............Drivers will not install.........

I know this Video card works because I just took it out of my old AMD system.....Any input would be great.Thank's

I thought I should add the MB is a ASUS P5GC-MX/1333
Socket 775
I think the problem lies with the Boards Realtech drivers

A:GeForce 9800 GTX plus/driver fail

I got it working...It was a bad Mother board driver...It just couldn't see the Video card installed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/geforce-9800-gtx-plus-driver-fail.153070/
Relevancy 24.94%

Well, i have 5.1 creativ speakers got about 2 years back. they worked fine with wxp but when i upgraded to wvista and w7 all hell broke loose. at a point in time in vista i got the rear speakers to work. when i upgraded to w7, i also got the rear speakers to work eventually. i now have a new motherboard with shitty drivers and can't get the rear speakers to work. in the tests they work but when i play music, watch movies anything nothing comes out of the front centre or rear speakers. any help guiz?
TY
p.s. the drivers my mobo uses are VIA HD Audio deck. i've tried uninstall all sound drivers and reinstalling but to no aveil
p.s. also at one point in time few days ago everything was working but the next day the rears just stopped...

A:5.1 Speakers rear and mid sound not playing any sound apart from test

did all the speakers sound when test in via hd audio deck or windows 7 audio control panel?

if yes, most likely you will need to enable the 'upmix' feature of VIA. I'm not sure what is it called, but in Realtek it is called Realtek Speaker Fill or Dolby ProLogic IIx. If there isn't any, you may want to try Channel Mixer for foobar2000.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/5-1-speakers-rear-and-mid-sound-not-playing-any-sound-apart-from-test.152976/
Relevancy 29.24%

hey gang,
i am d-sub. i have an acer aspire one zg5 netbook. I've owned it for several months. i turned it on recently and got this message while it was booting.
pxe-e61: media test failure, check cable
pxe-mof: exiting pxe rom
then it shows the aspire one logo screen for a second and goes blank. the mouse is setting in the center of the blank screen. i am able to control the mouse. can u help?

A:Media test failure

First, can you see anything... that allows you to remove and reinstall the driver as a first step... Looks as if you have a part to replace, if the configuration allows it... otherwise, is it under warrnty still?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/media-test-failure.152447/
Relevancy 31.82%

I recently had a computer crash on my machine that resulted in it powering on with long beep and short beeps I begin to troubleshoot short mobo asus 3 1 beeps on long the hardware and find that the video card s gpu fan is caked with dust knowing that was not a good sign i started to clean and inspect the card turns out that the card overheated and the capacitors started to pop literally the tops were all busted open to varify the problem i put in a video card from a know working machine in the computer and it booted up no problem this card has never been overclocked on for extended periods of time or over strained with high demanding games programs this happened because it 1 long 3 short beeps on asus mobo was in a closed space and never cleaned out things to remember from this experience -asus mobo long short beeps means video card not recognized -clean out inside of case regularly i use canned air for my computers -keep case it well ventilated area i hope this helps anyone running into a similar situation later on nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1-long-3-short-beeps-on-asus-mobo.152072/
Relevancy 30.1%

Hi
i did a Hard disk analysis and found some of the following properties with it.
Power Cycles = 1112
Start Stop Count = 1341
Power Off Retract Count = 1463
Power On hours(obvious) = 4525

could someone tell me what those above figures really means?

A:What does these HD SMART attributes mean?

To make this easy for you to understand download the program called HD Tune. Remember to get the free version unless you want to buy the pro. The program shows you how many hours or how well the HD is doing 100% means your okay if the number is lower then the HDD is starting to degrade. Check the health of the HDD it will say okay means don't worry, If not then worry and replace the HDD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-does-these-hd-smart-attributes-mean.151931/
Relevancy 29.67%

Does anyone know any good RAM test freeware that works for XP?

A:RAM test

Memtest is highly recommended.

It doesn't need to be compatible with XP, the best versions run from CD/bootable media and run without the OS functioning.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ram-test.151894/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hi guys

I wanted to check my PC,apparently there's sth wrong with it since it doesn't turn on the monitor whenever it restarts, based on the archive of this great site I checked the Graphic card and RAM. but I don't know how to check the CPU or mobo, could you tell me what I should do?

PS: I think I should buy new ones!!!

thank you guys

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-test-cpu-or-mb.151052/
Relevancy 36.12%

help plz i'm having a trouble about my pc its my hdd i can't partition it or format and when i restart it fail to detect my drives what should i do done everything still wont work help plz asap thnx.

A:Primary master fail & primary slave fail

What happen prior to this issue? Other than that sounds like the onboard HDD controller gone poof (bad) it can happen without warning. But in your case again what changes did you make to your system prior?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/primary-master-fail-primary-slave-fail.148346/
Relevancy 31.82%

Hi I don t really know in which category this belongs so I ve put it in General What is the problem My friend has a problem with his computer Everytime he tries to boot his PC the screen remains black and his computer beeps long short beeps after that it keeps repeating a short beep We searched on the internet for this beep code and found that it could be a RAM or EGA problem However it gives the same beep code without a videocard and we thought that it should just boot with the onboard chipset We also tried removing the RAM sticks by both or switching them without any luck When did it happen We were at a Lanparty with people at the time we were with and the th had yet to arrive When he did he plugged his laptop in and my friend s computer just died but all other PC s stayed on A thing to mention is that we were all plugged into the same socket And that socket was short 1 long 3 boot, to beeps and Failed not grounded His Hardware Videocard Ati Radeon HD MB Motherboard Asus P QL SE RAM x GB DDR Mhz unknown We would appreciate any help Marty nbsp

A:Failed to boot, 1 long and 3 short beeps

If you can, I'd suggest getting some more RAM and testing it.. If it's still giving you the 1 long and 2/3 short beeps then it could have blown your motherboard..

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm < Asus Award Beep Codes

Lists the 1 long 2 short as a video issue, and a continueing beep as a RAM issue, so if your getting both then I'd say either the boards gone and it can't read anything, or it just blew out both... I'd say it's best to get it tested at a shop where they have parts they can test on it.. Best of luck to you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/failed-to-boot-1-long-and-3-short-beeps.146899/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi, I just got a pc from a friend. To my knowledge it has a Pentium 4 2.8GHz and 2 gb of ram with a 500watt power supply. Not sure if it works though, whenever I turn it on it makes this strange sound and the cpu fan barely spins at all (its obvious the sound is the fan) All I want to do is make sure this computer works, and will post before I go out and buy a cpu fan for it. Is there any way of going about this without damaging the computer? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

A:Needing to test out computer

first thing i would do is connect a monitor to see if the motherboard POSTS; look for any errors on startup. there is the possibility that the power supply needs to be replaced but if you can verify the processor needs a new cooler i would look into swapping that as well.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/needing-to-test-out-computer.145359/
Relevancy 29.24%

hi hoping to get some help here my desktop manchine would not boot today it is a xfx 680i LT sli motherbored with a intel Q6600 in it, a xfx 8800gts graphics card and 3gb of memory.

when i try to boot it, it get as far as saying "main processor" and then just stops.

anyone got any ideas?

glen

A:Freezes on the post test?

Failed hard drive...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/freezes-on-the-post-test.143951/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hi I brought an HP s notebook from eBay and it never booted So I searched for hardware problems onto Mother Board and found that the previous owner broke the power switch by means of a screwdriver or something similar I asked informations pictures schemes about it in this forum some months ago without success I searched them throught internet and so on always without success and the last time I guessed that notebook power connector is a bit strange for me the power source isn t like standard types The notebook is an HP s The Power connector has the ground on the external ring side and V into the internal ring side There is another central pin that is something Smart-pin 6715s power connector HP more then V voltage but after connected it goes to about v voltage HP information explain that the power source is quot smart-pin quot type and informations over the web say that the central pin should be usefull for saving power tecnology others Smart-pin power connector HP 6715s write that it is needed for to say to HP notebooks that the Smart-pin power connector HP 6715s Power source is an HP original others that it is normally grounded and that it s used to tell to the notebook that power supply is connected althought that the batteries Someone says that they can use any power source for Smart-pin power connector HP 6715s those HP notebooks someone says that notebook doesn t turn on if they haven t a smart-pin power source type I m a bit confused because I can t find any absolutely right information I can t find anything about pinout information I don t know what is the right voltage for the central pin I really don t know if it is needed for to say something to the notebook or if it listens any kind of signal from the notebook for control purposes or anything else I would like to receive any kind of informations about this problem please Any help will be apreciated thanks in advance nbsp

A:Smart-pin power connector HP 6715s

Simple, the AC Adapter jack contains a center pin and a grounding ring. 19 volts to the center pin. If someone stuck a screwdriver into the jack, it is trashed. Hopefully the motherboard isn't damaged too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/smart-pin-power-connector-hp-6715s.137840/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi all I think I have a problem with my nVidia GeForce GTX I was watching a dvd to motherboard? 8800GTX test Diagnostics and on my computer when suddenly strange artifacts started to appear and then the whole computer froze up but the sound kept playing I switched my computer off Now when I start up my computer strange lines and dots appear on the XP loading screen and when the desktop should appear I get white black blue bands across the screen and I can t see the desktop at all I can start up in safe mode with no problems I tried to install updated drivers but I get an error message saying quot The nVidia control panel could not be installed the most recent driver will be restored quot It has now rolled me back to driver version dated February I have also tried cleaning and resetting the card I am certain it is not a heat issue Diagnostics to test 8800GTX and motherboard? as the hottest it gets is degrees only on very hot days and when I m playing the latest games and the Diagnostics to test 8800GTX and motherboard? original crash occured while I wasn t playing a game but watching a dvd I have not overclocked my card I Diagnostics to test 8800GTX and motherboard? m assuming the issue is most likely a hardware problem and is either my graphics card or my motherboard Can anyone recommend diagnostic utilities tests that I can run to isolate exactly where the problem is occuring The computer was bought from Dell just over years ago and I have not installed or removed any hardware since getting the computer Here are my specs Dell Dimension Intel Core Quad Processor Q GHz Windows XP SP GB RAM mb PCIe x nVidia GeForce GTX ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED Thanks Simon nbsp

A:Diagnostics to test 8800GTX and motherboard?

sounds like it might be time to replace the video card... could be faulty vram. artifacts typically mean two things... overheating or faulty video memory. anything above 70c is pretty hot, even for a 8800GT but i wouldn't be surprised if it was the onboard ram. uninstall the drivers from the add/remove programs menu and then run Driver Sweeper to clean up the files. restart the computer and try to install the latest WHQL drivers from www.nvida.com and restart again. if you still experience strange artifacts or other performance issues, replace the card.

i don't think you would get any video at all if the motherboard was the culprit, so start with the video card. as far as diagnostics tools go... you can't really isolate and hardware related issues through software. best thing to do is just trial and error.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/diagnostics-to-test-8800gtx-and-motherboard.141860/
Relevancy 29.24%

I m having a problem with my Toshiba Satellite L regarding the quot PXE-E Media test failure check cable quot message I ve tried every remedy every website has given I ve tried resetting the boot sequence using the HDD as its first choice But I ve also realized that under BIOS it doesn t seem to be reading the HDD I ve tried taking it out and putting it back PXE-E61 error test media in That didn t seem to work either The screen has been cracked for about a month but you could still see aout of everything But since the PXE-E61 media test error error message the laptop screen has gone completely blank Now I have it hooked up to my desktop s monitor Anyways what PXE-E61 media test error I m trying to ask is that could the problem have PXE-E61 media test error something to do with the monitor or video card I ve been on about different sites and I do remember one suggestion was to replace the video card Do laptops even have video cards lol anyways help is much appreciated nbsp

A:PXE-E61 media test error

PXE is an option to boot across the network! Check you BIOS settings and ensure you
have the HD as the first choice

see description

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pxe-e61-media-test-error.141714/
Relevancy 27.95%

hi guys Fist of all ty for anyone who can help me I got a hp intel core quads mb memory go fail page not able F11 start - PC boot, Discs to not working on Recovery hard drive NVIDIA gs window xp service pack I am having a big problem here I was downloading a codec when this first happen the blue screen stay like sec then pc reboot choice to start fail since they all lead to he blue screen who stay sec and then restart My Recovery disk are been read since i can press see them with my hard disk but when i try to start with it nothing happen but the blue PC not able to boot, Recovery Discs fail - F11 not working on start page screen for the last hours if try many things if been able with patience and time and focus too see a little bit my error code who looks like i dont know x witch after reading on the internet seem to be x f For now i cannot press f and Reboot when i plug in the pc its unplug if not it only do the same fail by itself for eternity i did deactivated PC not able to boot, Recovery Discs fail - F11 not working on start page auto-restart but it restart and fail anyway please help me thanks nbsp

A:PC not able to boot, Recovery Discs fail - F11 not working on start page

when you hit F8 and disable system automatic restart, it still restarts without displaying the blue screen?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-not-able-to-boot-recovery-discs-fail-f11-not-working-on-start-page.141133/
Relevancy 28.81%

Edit: Sorry for the needless post. It seems I've resolved my problem on my own. Could one of the moderators please close the thread?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/severe-ipod-touch-problem-smart-tech-help-needed.141184/
Relevancy 28.38%

I just built this new pc and I am having such a issue with it I have a OS installed and cannot load many programs on it always getting errors sometimes I get errors loading windows I called Wester Digital and Error! Sector Wright Test:: Cable they sent me new HD s I ran a test Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostic as they advised me to do with the old HD s and gives me this error The error was showing up on my other HD s Cable Test:: Wright Sector Error! now on the new HD s I just got I am running a MSI -C AM AMD ATX AMD Motherboard AMD Phenom II X Black Edition Callisto GHz Cable Test:: Wright Sector Error! Socket AM W Dual-Core Processor Model HDZ WFGIBOX G SKILL GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F - CL D- GBNQ With Western digital HD s GB GB Can it be that my motherboard is bad or more possible to be more bad HD s nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cable-test-wright-sector-error.140735/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi,

I have an nvidia 8600 GT. its not giving any display at all.

When i start using onboard graphics card, it is showing a new VGA unit for which drivers need to be re-installed.

When I try re-intalling drivers for the card, both the cd that came with the card and the downloaded latest drivers are saying that they are unable to detect any compatible card.

Have tried disabling/enabling and uninstalling/waiting for fresh detect atc. from the device manager.

Any help would be appreciated.

A:Nvidia 8600 GT fail

What shows up in your Device Manager. How old is this nVidia 8600GT ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-8600-gt-fail.140531/
Relevancy 27.95%

i am getting a pxe-e61:media test failure check cable fault on my hp nx9005 laptop.
i have removed the hdd from the laptop and installed it in my pc as slave using a 2.5 - 3.5 adaptor with psu. it registers in the bios but not in windows. if i then disconnect the main pc hard drive and set the laptop hdd as master and try and install windows xp using the xp cd it states no hdd present

from this i would take it as the hard drive is damaged/dead

any advice welcome, thanks

A:HP nx9005 pxe-e61: Media test failure check cable fault

So you have placed the laptop Hard Drive in place of your Desktop CD/DVD Drive? (as is what I usually do)
And your Windows version cannot see it in My Computer?

With the 2,5" Drive in place of the removed CD/DVD Drive (on its own IDE Cable)
And with the current Desktop system drive still connected (also on its own IDE Cable)

Go to start > Run > diskmgmt.msc > ok
Can you now see your drive?

If so, confirm the Volume type is Healthy and running NTFS (just like your main drive?)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-nx9005-pxe-e61-media-test-failure-check-cable-fault.138216/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, was looking here a few days ago - my broadband connection became really slow for no apparent reason and I wanted to test my speed - I was told about this new one on one of the forums called Streetstats, which not only gives you your broadband speed but also tells you what speeds your neighbours are getting - genius!

It really worked for me (found out I could be getting a much better deal with a different provider, so I'm now switching!) - would be interesting to see if it's just a one off or if it really is the most accurate speedtest around...

A:Broadband speed test

You can find them with a Gurgle search... I would download three to try... You
may be very surprised to see the variance in results.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broadband-speed-test.138684/
Relevancy 28.38%

Not my problem, but one I have noticed many, many times lately on these pages. So many people report 'unable to boot from install CD' or DVD, despite having the boot order correct. Can some experienced repair technician throw light on what is going on - are CD/DVD devices becoming quite quickly unable to support booting?

And what may be the cause? Is there some change in recent motherboards, is XP/Vista/Win7 sending out updates which interfere with motherboard drivers? Do devices simply fail quite quicky these days? .... or what?

A:Do many CD/DVD drives fail to support boot these days?

No

Here's what the issues have been:

Written disc (copied) that is not being picked up by the standard laptop CD/DVD Drive (normal I find)
Faulty CD/DVD Drive, that can read in Windows, but cannot boot BootCDs (common I find)
Users not selecting either "press any key to boot from CD" or not selecting the Fn key that changes to CD boot (not exactly Bios config)
Scratched or dirty discs (and CD/DVD Drives)
Incorrect jumper setting (or cabling) on older ATA (IDE Connected) CD/DVD Drives
There may be a whole range of others (and a comprehensive list) listed on other sites of possible issues

BUT: When the computer was bought (brand new) it booted from the CD/DVD Drive (even new and old computers)
Therefore something (as above) has changed since, ie its not MS updates or firmware drivers, or anything like that. Although I agree that parts don't last as long as they did in the past, ie most 486 computers still work, ironically

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/do-many-cd-dvd-drives-fail-to-support-boot-these-days.137987/
Relevancy 31.82%

Hello TS Alright I just ordered all the parts for a new system build short a PSU noise - PC similar New to 'zap' makes Build I built the pc and when I press the power button a noise emits from the PSU Imagine putting your tongue to the roof of your mouth New PC Build - PSU makes noise similar to a short 'zap' and then make an abrupt quot TSS quot sound Not sure if that helps but thats the best way I can describe it I have looked at the connectors for the power switch reset switch power led ide led over and over again thinking that I must have connected them incorrectly I have made sure that they are connected correctly My question is this does this sound like a PSU failure or MOBO failure or User failure Here are the specs PSU Thermaltake Purepower W RU W ATX V CPU Intel Core Quad Q GHz MOBO ASUS P QL PRO Memory OCZ Reaper HPC GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC HDD Western Digital Caviar SE WD AAJS GB RPM SATA Graphics XFX GeForce GS MB -bit GDDR PCI Express x Optical LG X DVD R DVD Case RAIDMAX Tornado ATX- WU Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower nbsp

A:New PC Build - PSU makes noise similar to a short 'zap'

Are you sure it's from the PSU? Could be the power button or some other connector shorting somewhere. Check for any shorts to be sure.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-pc-build-psu-makes-noise-similar-to-a-short-zap.129148/
Relevancy 28.81%

I just picked up a used computer for free and I m thinking I got what I paid for it is a Dell Dimension The previous owner said the computer worked fine when he last used it no idea how long ago that was Anyway when I first tried to boot it it made it to the Dell intro screen BIOS boot and then halted with the status bar stuck of the way The I RDRAM Boot to Won't think test Used Computer need - I second time I tried to boot it a different error appeared on the screen - a text-based error which I can t exactly remember The third time I got beeping from the motherboard and no video The diagnostic lights on the rear of the machine are YYGG - quot Memory failed to be sized or enabled quot After some research I determined that the beep code I was getting - - - is not documented for the motherboard - lucky me I read somewhere that the and used the same Used Computer Won't Boot - I think I need to test RDRAM beep codes - so I cross-referenced and found that the beep code likely meant a failure in one of the memory modules I think the beep code was - - - I just wanted to get a sanity check on my troubleshooting so far I realize that I probably need to track down a good RDRAM set of memory modules OR a set of RDRAM continuity modules My other question is are the continuity modules just jumpers or is there actual circuitry on Used Computer Won't Boot - I think I need to test RDRAM them I honestly don t want to spend any money on this computer especially since Used Computer Won't Boot - I think I need to test RDRAM it could be a goner Wish I could figure out a way to test the memory without doling out some money nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/used-computer-wont-boot-i-think-i-need-to-test-rdram.136556/
Relevancy 28.81%

MY COMPUTER STATS

MOTHERBOARD : GIGABYTE EP45 EXTREME
RAM: (2x) 2GB Ballistix (part number:BL25664AA80A )
VIDEO CARD : GIGABYTE 9800GTX+ 1GB GDDR3
CPU: INTEL Q8200 2.33GHZ CORE 2 QUAD

PROBLEM:

When i boot up my comp, it proceeds to POST and does a failed memory test.
instead of Memory test: ST********** ), it becomes : (Mem or Memory te) and then the computer restarts. You can not access bios page,safe mode or access anything. If im lucky and i am able to get the computer running it will work for like 10-20 minutes and restart, even if im youtubing or just surfing the net.

NOTE: i am using an Award bios

A:Post memory test failed

It fails POST? Are there any beeps when you turn your PC on?

Try removing one stick of RAM and run the PC. See if the problem persists. If you're getting a memory error then run memtest86+ on each module separately.

However, first I'd recommend that you clean the inside of the PC and reset every component on your motherboard after cleaning.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/post-memory-test-failed.136537/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hello All
I have a strange problem with the laptop mentioned where as to boot the machine i have to put pressure on the keyboard until it has booted once it has booted it works fine but if i release half way through booting it freezes, I had tis problem before on an older laptop which turned out to be earth springs on the motherboard not touching the case correctly if this is the problem could someone point me in the right direction of dismantling and repair instructions for the said laptop or if you think the problem is something else please don't hesitate to let me know.
Thanks In Advance

A:Short Curcuit Fujitsu Siemens Amilo pi 2515

Hello again seems nobody has any ideas of about the problem could somebody please direct me on how to take the laptop apart to remove the motherboard
thanks for your help

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/short-curcuit-fujitsu-siemens-amilo-pi-2515.134813/
Relevancy 41.28%

Hey I have an old Inspiron B130. Seems the battery is bad, or maybe it's just not charging, or maybe it's just not working in some other way? My question is how can I test?
I don't want to just rush out and buy a new battery without knowing if the laptop battery subsystem is working. The laptop came from a person who "claims" that the battery is actually a new one. I can't verify, so I want to see if I can test the laptop itself.
I wonder if there are wiring diagrams or something where I can just test a few of the pins. Or I wonder if the pins are testable at all without a battery plugged in?

How can I make sure the battery subsystem works before I buy a new battery?

A:Test battery and test output from laptop?

If you can't find any diagrams, just get a multitester, and with power off and pc unplugged, take out the battery and find pos / neg terminals on the computer against the chassis (unless they are labelled on the battery by chance?). Once you know which terminal is which, put the battery in the computer, let it charge (does the charge light come on? I should have asked that before). for a couple hours, unplug it and check the power. You may not see the full 11 volts (at least that's what I think the battery is on that model), but if it's charging, you should always have at least some residual power...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/test-battery-and-test-output-from-laptop.133963/
Relevancy 28.81%

What's the best freeware to test Pentium 4 temperature and other CPU stability?

A:Freeware to test Pentium 4 temperature?

Everest Home... Here is the download:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Everest-Home-Edition.shtml

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/freeware-to-test-pentium-4-temperature.127710/
Relevancy 32.68%

my mobo shorts out whenever i screw it to the case so i laid a rubber sheet underneat it. it works, but is there something better to use?

A:Mobo short

Hi Seris,
sounds like the fiberglass resin has been chipped off around one of the standoff screw holes. you maybe able to see which one it is and use a rubber or fiberglass washer on that standoff.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mobo-short.131797/
Relevancy 28.81%

I am using a wpn111 net gear wireless adapter for internet, and the software I am installing from the netgear website will not stay open. I am installing the Netgear smart wizard and it opens for split second, then closes. I have looked online for other answers and it seems like a few other people have had this problem. Any help is appreciated.

A:Netgear Smart Wizard wont stay open!

Did you have a previous install present?
What is the configuration, brand, and model of computer... and the numbers on the label on your netgear?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/netgear-smart-wizard-wont-stay-open.131375/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi all i need some major help before i end up throwing my PC ouy of the window i have a audable female voiced message as i switch on CPU test System failed my PC System failed CPU test saying quot system faled cpu test quot i have no idea how to stop it i have taken my PC to many different people and no one seems to know what the problem is i have been told to System failed CPU test clean the dust on the fans which i have done several times over the last years and i have reset the whole PC wiped everything off and rebutted all the software i have been told that the cpu means there is a fault with the processor surley if the processor isnt working then i wont be able to switch on my PC and use the internet word excel etc which i can ive very much baffelled with the technicalities of computers and with my own PC the message really gets on my nerves hence i want to throw it out of the window i need your help assistance as no technical expert seems to know why im getting this message or how to stop it and fix it Thanks nbsp

A:System failed CPU test

Ok, now tell us what your PC's make and model is... Have you tried resetting the motherboards bios to the default settings?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-failed-cpu-test.124895/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi everybody I m new here but am a semi-experienced windows mac user I have searched the internet long and hard for a solution to my problem but I still either haven t been helped or people just don t know how to help me Once again this is a driver problem I think None of my network drivers are working and I can t connect to the internet Under quot Network Adapters quot in device manager there is a yellow exclamation on Network Fail Drivers HP Laptop mark next to each driver To give Network Drivers on HP Laptop Fail you an idea here is the list Intel R Wireless WiFi Link AGN working surprisingly Realtek RTL Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface WAN Miniport IP IPv L TP PPPOE PPTP SSTP Note that the WAN Miniports listed are each seperate I just couldn t be bothered typing them all out on seperate lines I have no idea where to get these drivers from or how to transfer them over to Network Drivers on HP Laptop Fail my laptop I have tryed installing vista SP or not sure but it doesn t install fully it will come up with an error like quot Sorry windows could not install this etc quot Network Drivers on HP Laptop Fail even after it has sat there for half an hour doing apparently nothing at all I have checked in the drivers folder and they are all there where they should be but no matter what I try I can t get them to work and I am afraid of deleting them just in case there is something you beautiful TechSpot people could help with Specs Hp Pavilion DV Core Duo T ghz gb ddr ram with Vista Home Premium I would really really appreciate it if any of you guys could point me in the right direction as far as fixing this damn thing Much internets to you Thanks Jack nbsp

A:Network Drivers on HP Laptop Fail

First go and download the Ethernet drivers.
You need to go back into the device manager and uninstall each device that has an exclamation point next to it. Double click the Ethernet driver .exe you downloaded and let the computer reinstall the drivers. You might need to restart the computer to complete the installation.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-drivers-on-hp-laptop-fail.128186/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hi I have recently built my own PC but when im using it It constantly freezes for about - seconds then it works again but it Fault) for (Hardware short Computer time a Freezing keeps doing it and the Hard Drive light stays on during the Computer Freezing for a short time (Hardware Fault) freeze and when it starts flashing the computer starts Computer Freezing for a short time (Hardware Fault) working again Some people say I go too fast but I only run one program at a time Also it is a gaming computer so it should be able to cope can anyone tell me what is causing this to freeze Also It takes ages for something to install on the computer My system specs are P K Premium Motherbaord BFG GTX Graphics Card GB Reaper GB DDR RAM TB Spinpoint F Hard Drive W Coolermaster Power Supply Pioneer Blu-Ray Reader Drive Q GHz Porcessor Vista Ultimate -bit One of these is slowing my computer down badly but I dont know which one I have a feeling it could be the Hard Drive because of the Slow Installations and freezes and also the light being on when it does but im not sure nbsp

A:Computer Freezing for a short time (Hardware Fault)

Identical problem here.. hard drive light goes solid and pc just stops for 1 min, still able to move the mouse cursor but cannot slect anything or alt-tab etc. Any alt tab or double clicking is cached up and then all fired off at once when the minute freeze is up.

I'm pretty certain now it's down to my Asus P5K-E motherboard (which is what I assume the original poster has)

I'm looking towards M/Board now as I have swapped drives and changed CPU from Q6600 to Q8200 also switched from Vista 32bit to Win7 64bit and still get the issue.

I alleviated it for a while by switching my SATA 300 drive down to 150 mode by setting the jumpers.

Have flashed the P5K to the latest bios with no joy.

Full specs are..
Q8200 Quad
Asus P5K-E Wifi Premium
500GB Samsung SATA300
4GB Ram
lightscribe 20x DVDRW
Sony Bluray Drive (installed after problem had already appeared)
2 x ATI HD3870's in crossfire config.
Windows 7 64bit / WinXP dual boot.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-freezing-for-a-short-time-hardware-fault.127246/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hello members i posted a question about days Lan the failed media adapter test ago about my acer travelmate showing a blank screen after changing the hard drive but powers up the same fault develoded on different acer travelmate a month before after removing hard drive i tried the hard drive in my packard bell easynote and this also developed a problem where the screen is ok lights up and lets me go into F SETTINGS after trying different Lan adapter failed the media test settings and even loading default settins now all that happens after coming out of F is a flashing - minus sign in the top left corner of the screen on the packard bell A friend has just brought a IBM THINKPAD and Lan adapter failed the media test tried the hard drive in the acer but still the blank screen after putting back the hard drive back in the IBM it shows this message LAN ADAPTER FAILED THE MEDIA TEST PLEASE CHECK THE CABLE AND REBOOT THE SYSTEM why am i Lan adapter failed the media test getting this message on the IBM THINKPAD and it also appeared on the PACKARD BELL a few days ago after swapping the hard drive as on both occasions the only cable plugged in is the power cable on each laptop why would changing the hard drives develop these faults on three laptops where as before they all worked ok sorry this post is very long but i need to explain as clearly as i could as i am a Novice with computers please help me as i am desperate to get them all working again much appreciative for any help or advice and please feel free to E-MAIL ME to ask me anything regarding these problems THANKS BARRY nbsp

A:Lan adapter failed the media test

pick one system and work on it -- then begin on the other

which one is most important to you?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lan-adapter-failed-the-media-test.128161/
Relevancy 29.24%

How to test PCIe slots I had a brand new video card installed and working Configured it and started using it to see what it was capable of as far as D applications slots? How test PCIe to After about an hour the card was destroyed LEDs and fan still worked but my PC could no longer detect the card in the slot I tried to force it to detect checked BIOS tried the second PCIe slot on same board but the vid card was already defective by then Fortunately I was able to exchange the vid card for a new one I also upgraded my PSU as someone suggested that the How to test PCIe slots? PSU might have been caused the How to test PCIe slots? damage to the vid card Now before I just throw in the new vid card and PSU I want to cover all of my bases as I won t be able to get another free exchange if this vid card also gets fried So I ve been doing some researching and I d feel a lot more comfortable if I could somehow test verify whether the PCIe slots on my mainboard are functioning as they should be So can anyone recommend some simple PCIe slot test that I can perform at home with minimal tooling Perhaps there are some software tools for monitoring voltages currents or maybe I can find a cheap voltmeter around here Equipment is difficult for me to find here but the local technicians are very lowly skilled knowledgeable and careless about handling and ESD Any suggestions Thanks nbsp

A:How to test PCIe slots?

your problem was probably a voltage spike from a bad psu if your switching it out you should be fine there aren't any PCI-e tests that i know of unless you have an old crappy card you dont want to test in the slot.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-test-pcie-slots.127640/
Relevancy 28.38%

I have an external harddrive on the drive I had unpacked a backup of windows. ever since the drive has extraordanary trouble loading. Specificly it has trouble loading during the autoload with i386. In addition on any computer I plug it into it says there is a delay write fail I am having trouble removing or opening any files on the external any one have any sugesstions

A:External drive delay write fail

You need give specifics about your computer make/model, version windows, service pack level, etc

And what specifics about your drive? and what type of external connection??

(altho delay write fail is often indicative of hardware failures looming i.e. get what you need off of it NOW) but specifics still needed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-drive-delay-write-fail.127615/
Relevancy 29.24%

I got a laptop from a friend recently. Its an HP pavilion dv6500. They tripped over a USB cord and it fell on the ground and wouldn't turn on. They then took it to a local repair shop who told them they needed a new mobo. They put the new mobo in and still had the same problem. When you push the power button all the lights along the dash come on, and the fan and cdrom start up but no beeps and then it just like stalls out. the screen stays black, no ext video nothing, but the lights stay on. I have tested most of the components and all work, everything leads to the motherboard but that was replaced. any advice is greatly appreciated.

A:HP pavilion won't run POST test

I'd say faulty new motherboard, but it could be as simple as the Power Adapter

Here's the Tutorial: No POST (Power On Self Test) guide

Here's HP Support

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-wont-run-post-test.127216/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi, today we were apparently upgraded from 2mb broadband, to 10mb.
I cant see a great deal of difference on this pc (the good one), but the one in the living one (the other one) is much faster.

can i easily test this online? i have tried a couple of tests and to be honest they are saying i've got a rubbish speed...I know its up to 10mb which can mean below 10mbs, but these tests are showing me awful speeds.

can someone guide me here please lol thank you

A:Internet speed test

your netboard got to supports 10/100/1000 mb/s to get all speed DSL will support.And the lines go to and in home got to be like new.Or data transfer rates may be low.hope it helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-speed-test.126343/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi, I have recently built my own PC but for some reason I keep getting 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps, but it doesnt happen all the time, sometimes it will turn on fine and other times I get the beeps, it is really annoying me because I cant find any problems, I have read that these beeps can be the Graphics card or the RAM but I find it strange that it does it sometimes and not all the time, can anyone please help with this problem, Thanks.

My system specs are as followed:
Asus P5K Premium Motherboard
Intel Quad Core Q6600 CPU
8GB Reaper RAM
BFG NVIDIA GTX280 OC Graphics Card
CoolerMaster 1000W PSU

A:1 Long Beeps, Followed by 3 Short Beeps (sometimes)

hi 1bellb

make sure that all of your RAM chips are firmly placed into their slots and that they aren't susceptible to movement in and out of the slots. You could also run Memtest on your chips from here - www.memtest.org. You've heard right about the beeping sounds probably being caused by RAM issues. Good luck

Spyder_1386

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1-long-beeps-followed-by-3-short-beeps-sometimes.125213/
Relevancy 30.1%

I've been reading little bits in the past few weeks about some advanced disk diagnostics that you can get if you have SMART turned on for your disk drives. I have two disk arrays on my main XP/Pro systems (it is about a year old): a pair of Western Digital 150GB drives, 10,000 RPM, in a RAID-1 array, for system/programs; and a pair of Western Digital 500GB drives, 7,200, in a RAID-1 array, for data.

At this point, I've had no problems with my hard disks.

Would SMART help me? If so, how do I turn it on? If you have it on your machine, have you found it useful?

A:SMART Disks

Your motherboard has to support SMART capability. You will see SMART settings in the bios. If you have no SMART support you can run Western Digitals software to check SMART Status on their drives

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/smart-disks.124906/