Windows Support Forum

External Sata drive will not keep assigned drive letter

Q: External Sata drive will not keep assigned drive letter

I am running Windows 7 Pro. Have a external dual dock connected to a estata port. One of the drives assigned letter K often comes up as E and I have to change as application is looking for K. Another disk in this dock works fine. No problems.
Does anyone know why this might be happening or anyway to prevent?
Seems like when I go to disk management and assign K it should stay that way.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: External Sata drive will not keep assigned drive letter

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: External Sata drive will not keep assigned drive letter

Quote: Originally Posted by Terrym

I am running Windows 7 Pro. Have a external dual dock connected to a estata port. One of the drives assigned letter K often comes up as E and I have to change as application is looking for K. Another disk in this dock works fine. No problems.
Does anyone know why this might be happening or anyway to prevent?
Seems like when I go to disk management and assign K it should stay that way.

Try assigning a drive letter a "distance" away from your existing drive letters.

For example, change the dock drive letter to Z and see how you get on with that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/175456-external-sata-drive-will-not-keep-assigned-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 90.83%

Hi all,

I bought a new SATA Western Digital HD yesterday (WD3200JD/7200R/8M) as an additional HD. I already have a WD 160G drive running as the master. I've attached the new HD to my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-8I915D Pro), but it is not being recognized or being assigned a drive letter. I can see it in the Device Manager, and the report says it's operating properly, but no dice. Belarc shows it as Drive 1 (although the Device Manager lists its location as "0 (0)" - the same as the master), but does not list in local drives.

I've changed the connection position on the motherboard also with no luck.

Any suggestions?

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-8I915D Pro
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

A:SATA HD not assigned drive letter

Any suggestions?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-hd-not-assigned-drive-letter.28952/
Relevancy 90.52%

I have an old BYTECC hard drive enclosure Trying to use it on an older XP system for back up Got a bunch of G hard drives I can use The OS will detect the external drive is connected and powered up arrow shows in the tray for a USB drive checked the device manager and it sezs the drive is there and operating properly recognizes it but does not assign a drive letter AIDA sezs it is there but same deal shows no drive not External letter a Solved: assigned drive hard drive letter I ve tried four different hard drives with the same results I know the hardware works on other computers this particular computer USB works with other canned external drives it reads a Solved: External hard drive not assigned a drive letter flash memory stick as a drive no problem I know the BYTECC is set up properly should be the same as with other computers Works ok on a Win system What could be the problem Is there something to tweak I do know this XP system would not read hard drives that had been formatted on non-XP computers before Don t exactly know what systems Solved: External hard drive not assigned a drive letter all these drives were formatted on Isn t making any sense to me at the moment Doing it just like I did on the Win system with other drives everything worked as it should Thinking I could try to slap one of the drives in as a slave and try to format it that way hopefully can get it to be read as a USB drive instead Any help greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: External hard drive not assigned a drive letter

If the drive shows up in Disk Management (Start/Run/diskmgmt.msc/OK), right-click the drive icon or the area showing the drive below, select "Change drive letter and paths". In the next window click "Add". Next window click the radio button for "Assign the following drive letter". Select a drive letter. Click OK.

Raybro

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-drive-not-assigned-a-drive-letter.856433/
Relevancy 90.21%

HI,

I'm trying to assign a drive letter to my sata drive via the computer management utility.

The drive is listed but when I right click the only option available is delete partition.

I want to assign a drive letter so that I can access this drive to hopefully repair a problem I'm having with a corrupt system file that I have listed in another forum.

Relevancy 87.11%

I have a Toshiba laptop Pent IV RAM GB HD running XP Home SP I recently purchase a Maxtor GB HD and an external USB enclosure After installing the drive in the enclosure and plugging in the USB it looks like it is recognized says Maxtor drive recognized driver is installed new hardware ready to use but it is not assigned a letter when I click on HD Solved: Assigned External Drive Letter Not quot my computer quot so I can Solved: External HD Not Assigned Drive Letter t do anything with it After reading an earlier thread I attempted to format the drive by clicking on My Computer clicked quot manage quot and quot disk management quot In the main window of this screen only my C drive is listed In the drop down list below the main window are listed disk - C and then under that disc - unallocated GB then under that my CD DVD If I right click on dick I do not get an option to format - only quot properties quot and quot help quot In quot properties quot under the quot general quot tab it says quot Device is working properly quot How can I format this drive and get a drive letter assigned to it Thanks for your help nbsp

Relevancy 87.11%

I recently formatted my 1TB Seagate External HDD to FAT32 to backup and redo my PS3. I reformatted it on my Windows 8 laptop easy peasy, but my windows 7 desktop will not recognize it as a drive with a letter to access it. If I uninstall the drive in device manager it will reinstall, be recognized as a general drive and in that small instance it is accessible, but then it gets fully installed and is recognized as BUP Slim BK. It doesn't see any info for the drive or even know that there is a valid partition on it.

Any help to get this drive working again is much appreciated.

A:PC recognizes External HDD. No drive letter assigned.

If THIS is your drive and Seagate software governs it...I'd say that the software for the drive may need to be installed/reinstalled.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/546333/pc-recognizes-external-hdd-no-drive-letter-assigned/
Relevancy 86.18%

My USB disc comes up with the letter 'J'. Because I have references to it with a letter 'X'. I want to change it and I do that in the Computer Management tool with the Disk Management utility.

Computer - Right click - Computer Management
Disk Manegement - Right-click the drive and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths
Assigne a new letter

Everything works fine but suddenly after a reboot Windows 8 loses the letter 'X' for this disc and assignes 'J' again.
I have done so with this drive for years under Windows 7 without any problems. Any idea, please what the problem might be?

A:Drive letter assigned to external USB disc changes random

Hello Senki, and welcome to Eight Forums.

While you have the USB drive connected, double check using OPTION TWO in the tutorial below to see if "J" is still listed. If so, change it to use "X" instead.
Drive Letter - Add, Change, or Remove in Windows 7 - Windows 7 Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/19401-drive-letter-assigned-external-usb-disc-changes-random.html
Relevancy 86.18%

Hi All My problem is a bit of a strange one although I m hoping someone can help I have a gb Compact Flash Card housed in a Datel Media Dock that connects to a Nintendo DS Lite When I connect this dock to my PC via USB cable to download movies mp s etc the pc will ding to recognise I have connected it it will also show in device manager it even shows in the safely remove hardware icon in the task bar but it cant be seen Storage External Device Letter Assigned Not Drive in Win Explorer It cannot be seen in Disk Management either I know that the CF card is External Storage Device Not Assigned Drive Letter good because taken out of the Media Dock it is seen by my media card reader and I can load unload fine I know that the cable is good the card is good and the Media Dock works fine in my Nintendo DS This exact same problem happens with my laptop using all the same gear Its as if the PC can see it but doesnt want me to do anything with it the manufacturer of the doc Datel have been no help I m desperate for ideas anybody got one Many Thanks Joel D Warburton nbsp

Relevancy 85.25%

Hello,

I recently bought a Lacie 1TB external harddrive to store some of the data on my old PC (Win XP, SP2, I cant seem to udate to SP3 because windows update wont work).

The drive is working fine as I've used it on my laptop running Win Vista (64 bit). However, the drive is not being displayed in windows explorer. When I go to My Computer>Manage>Disk Management, I can see the drive there saying it's online, but there's no name attached to it and when I right-click, all the options are grey (otherwise I could of just changed the letter through there).

Using diskpart on command prompt, I still couldn't change the letter. I also found out that there is no volume assigned to this disk.

Can someone please help me?? I'd be forever greatful

A:USB external hard drive recognized but not assigned to a letter/not mounting (Win XP)

I didn't see where you formatted the hard drive. Before you can use any hard drive, external or internal, you have to format it at some point. For hard drives with Windows installed on them, they are usually formatted during Windows setup. For external storage drives, you can format it through Disk Management.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-external-hard-drive-recognized-but-not-assigned-to-a-letter-not-mounting-win-xp.149157/
Relevancy 105.78%

I recently installed a new WD 160Gb drive. I partitioned, formated (NTFS) and installed Windows XP SP3 (using the Windows XP setup program). However, the system has reversed my CD drive and the HD letters.

It gave the HD "E" and the CD drive "C". (It should be the other way around) I can not change the HD letter back to "C". It says I can't change the boot volume letter assignment.

I set the boot sequence in the bios to boot from the CD first, the way it should be for installing a OS, right?

What did I do wrong? Why did it assign my CD drive "C" and my HD to "E"?

Scott

A:New hard drive assigned wrong drive letter..

Hello. Correct boot sequence, not sure why the letters are reversed - you might be able to (carefully!) correct them, article here seems to explain it fairly well? http://www.petri.co.il/change_system_drive_letter_in_windows_xp.htm

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-hard-drive-assigned-wrong-drive-letter.181370/
Relevancy 105.78%

In the limited research I have done with the problem posed in post #56, I believe the reason the user is unable to use the drive is it is GPT and is protected. Is there a way to reclaim the drive and data in Windows 7?

I am unfamiliar with GPT and do not know how to get Windows 7 to give access to the drive without changing to MBR, but changing to MBR will wipe the partition table and make the data inaccessible. Any ideas? Anyone else seen this problem before?

A:No access to GPT drive in Windows 7, no drive letter can be assigned

Hi,

I stumbled across a forum post (TomsHardware) that claimed TestDisk and PhotoRec have the ability to recover data from GPT drives. Is it worth a go?

PhotoRec - CGSecurity
TestDisk - CGSecurity

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/206382-no-access-gpt-drive-windows-7-no-drive-letter-can-assigned.html
Relevancy 105.78%

I am posting here as well as in the hard drives part...

My question is: I have XP Pro on my machine that once recognized the external firewire hard drive attached to it (showed up as drive letter in "My
Computer"). Now, the passthru works fine on the ext. hard drive feeding
another firewire device, but I can not get the pc to show a drive letter for
the ext. drive anymore. The ext. drive shows up fine on another pc w/ xp
pro. What .dll or file is missing or has been corrupted to cause this? I
also have a client that is experiencing the similar problem with his new pc
w/xp pro and a USB thumb drive, and thought these 2 issues may be similar in
nature.

Thanks in advance,
Dave S. A+ certified

A:Ext. hard drive is recognized, but no drive letter assigned in XP Pro

Hello... any ideas??? anyone???

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/ext-hard-drive-is-recognized-but-no-drive-letter-assigned-in-xp-pro-17565.html
Relevancy 103.63%

BACKGROUND I have a Seagate Barracuda GB SATA drive that worked fine in a Windows XP computer that belongs to my elderly not Healthy Drive Drive to be allow assigned will Letter Dad Then one day after the machine sat for a few months it would not power up I suspected the power supply but before I had a chance to look at it my dad took it to some small shop repair place he Healthy Drive will not allow Drive Letter to be assigned found in the yellow pages and they told him the MB AND the HDD was bad because it was old I think they were just trying to sell a new computer to my Dad I was suspicious so not having a compatale power supply to replace the old one with I took the drive out placed it into an know good external case and plugged it into my Windows laptop as an external to see if could get the data off DRIVE BEHAVIOR The Drive spins up Shows up in Device Manager with no errors Shows up in Disk Manager as a Disk Healthy Primary partition but I cannot assign a drive letter option grayed out The only option availalbe is Delete Partition UPDATE Drive DOES show up as DISK in Diskpart LIST DISK Drive does NOT show up in Computer MY QUESTIONS Is there another way to assign a drive letter so it will show in Computer and I can get the data off What would happen if I make it a Virtual Drive Or is the drive really bad

A:Healthy Drive will not allow Drive Letter to be assigned

Hello, and Welcome,

It could be a bad enclosure. When you used Diskpart you used the list disk command, correct?

See if taking ownership of the drive lets you change the letter. The video is for Vista but the same applies to Windows 7.

Other option: Burn a Puppy Linux iso to a CD. Boot Puppy. On the Puppy desktop you will see your hard drives listed. Attach the external drive. You will see a USB icon appear next to the DVD icon. It will most likely be called sdb1. If there is more than one partition on the external they will be labeled sdb1...sdb2  depending on the number of partitions. Click once on the sdb partition. The disk will automatically mount and you should see the files on the hard drive. 

Your Windows 7 partition would probably be sda2. Click once on it and if you do not see your Windows files close out the file manager and try another partition. You can highlight the files/folders on the XP disk using Ctrl+ left clicking or by windowing around the files/folders. Drag the highlighted folders to the Windows 7 file manager window. A small dialog window will appear. Click copy and quiet. You only need to click once on a folder in Puppy to open it.

tahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/592435/healthy-drive-will-not-allow-drive-letter-to-be-assigned/
Relevancy 103.63%

We typically use "F" as the root drive letter for our network access. One of our new Win 7 (64bit) machines has assigned F to a CD drive that does not exist. The two DVD drives are M & N. When you open My Computer it shows F as a CD ROM drive
but the drive does not show up in the Disk Manager. I've been into the Registry and F is not linked to a DOS device. I"m not sure where to go now.

A:Drive Letter assigned to CD Drive that does not exist

oh?  try plugging in a card there and see.  maybe then you'll be able to select a different drive letter for it in Disk Management.
or just unplug the scanner, unload its driver, and see if the phantom drive F: goes away.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e911bdb7-e9c0-46a7-b356-02a2b0db844e/drive-letter-assigned-to-cd-drive-that-does-not-exist?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 101.91%

Hello

Can anyone help solve this problem.

I have two hard drives installed on my PC, and run Win 98 SE. As Windows had been playing up a little I re-installed Win 98 se to try and solve the problems.

Unfortunately Windows now only recognises the C Drive. Both hard drives show in the BIOS, and in System in the control panel. It just doesnít seem to allocate it a drive letter. My CD ROM and CD writer drives still have the same drive letters as before.

I have not changed any hardware, so itís not jumpers/cables etc. The drive has not been re-formatted. I tried doing FDISK from the DOS prompt, and that only showed details of the C drive.

Any ideas ?

Many thanks

Ness

A:No drive letter assigned!

Try an FDISK /STATUS.

When you fire up FDISK and check details, it only shows you the first disk drive, you have to use selection 5 [change disk] to look at other physical drives.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-drive-letter-assigned.139389/
Relevancy 101.91%

Hi, guys and gals, I bought a new 80 gig HDD and installed it in my FirstBuild Computer. I want to copy everything from my 40 gig C: to this new one, but altho Device Manager lists it I have no drive letter, nor is it shown in My Computer.
I have tried WD's Data Lifeguard Disk to Disk Copy, but have nothing to point it to for a destination drive.
I know this is simple for you experts, but I am at a loss. Please help.
Specs for FirstBuild are in my Signature

Relevancy 101.91%

made 1 computer from 2 that i had laying around. everything works fine but for some reason when i installed XP on the new hard drive it assigned the drive letter I to it. it has a floppy and 2 cd rom drives. any idea why this would be? the computer works fine it's just weird to see that....is there anyway to change the letter assignment. since this is a new install i have no problem formating and re-installing it as long as i can get why this happened in the first place...............thanks

A:HD assigned the drive letter I?

Hi,

did you have any usb items plugged in when install the operating system?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hd-assigned-the-drive-letter-i-604755.html
Relevancy 101.91%

After formatting my extra SSD, windows won't assign it a drive letter when the computer starts. I have to use a third-party software to assign the letter, and I have to do it everytime it boots, and it's starting to annoy me.

Can't really find any solutions on google

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/44340-ssd-not-being-assigned-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 100.62%

As backup drives computer uses external Maxstor TB using a firewire and a WD GB using a USB The maxstor is assigned drive quot K quot the WD is assigned drive quot L quot Periodically the system fails to recognize drive quot K quot I e I look in my computer and it has vanished If I unplug the maxstor and then plug it back in the system assigns it to drive quot M quot If I go to computer management to reassign quot M quot to quot K quot quot K quot does not appear as an option In other words quot K quot has been locked by the system but appears to be unuseable What would be the reasons the system keeps dropping quot K quot The system never drops the WD that uses the USB The only way I have found to reassign quot K quot to the Maxstor Disappears Letter Drive Assigned is to reboot the computer and then quot K quot appears under computer management Is there a less painful way to get the Maxstor back to quot K quot I am not very computer savvy so would appreciate answer Assigned Drive Letter Disappears in do this do that rather than answers such as quot check bios quot which is Assigned Drive Letter Disappears meaningless to me

A:Assigned Drive Letter Disappears

Is there a problem with giving the drive the letter Z or Y because if not try that

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/assigned-drive-letter-disappears-306052.html
Relevancy 100.62%

iam running windows 7 and have tryed all the auto fixs to assign a letter to the cd drive but cant get it to work some one plz help

A:help cd dvd drive doesnt have a letter assigned

Hi and welcome to TSF you might be able to do it from here http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...ettervista.htm

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/help-cd-dvd-drive-doesnt-have-a-letter-assigned-480978.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Vista 64. An external drive is always assigned K and search always returns "no results." If change drive letter, search works OK. This seems to be recent.

Help!

A:problem with assigned drive letter

please give more details what you want to do?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/283030-problem-assigned-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 100.62%

My problem is unlike the ones listed where the drive can't be used. My ACP-EP 512M flash drive worked fine on my W2K pro machine, until the hard disk fried, and and I put in a new disk with Win XP pro. Then the flash drive worked OK for a while (2 weeks?), and now:
- the machine doesn't give it a drive letter when inserted in any USB port (I have 6 or so)
- it shows in the task bar for removing it "Safely remove USB mass storage device"
- Disk management doesn't list it
- it works fine on all other machines, 98 SE, several W2K pro, Mac.

Any ideas?
(It sounds like HW with the computer now with XP Pro, except that it worked fine with 2KPro and XPPro at first, and it works with other USB devices.)

A:Drive letter not assigned but seen for removing

Have you tried any other USB device with the system in question? Or have you tried all six with your flash drive?

Possibly a port issue

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/drive-letter-not-assigned-but-seen-for-removing.63447/
Relevancy 100.62%

I ve been digging around forums not drives a letter drive USB assigned for USB drives not assigned a drive letter hours but can t find anything useful among all USB drives not assigned a drive letter the hardware driver issues I have a server completely updated that will not automatically assign a drive letter to any external storage device that is plugged into the USB ports I ve verified that this happens with every external storage device I ve been able to get my hands on - several flash drives and many external hard drives BEHAVIOR When any device is plugged in the drive is detected and shows up in Disk Management but I have to manually assign it a drive letter typically the next available drive letter Once the drive letter is assigned it works fine If I unplug the device give it time to remove and plug it back in it is once again detected but no drive letter is assigned I get the same effect no matter what drive letter is assigned whether it s the next available or something out in left field like W TROUBLESHOOTING ATTEMPTS As stated above I ve tried every different device I can get my hands on I ve made sure all available updates have been applied to the OS I removed and reinstalled the USB Controller drivers I even removed USB drives not assigned a drive letter the USB controller card and installed a different model with a different chipset I m at wit s end here nbsp

A:USB drives not assigned a drive letter

Are you sure that it doesn't show up in "computer". Any usb storage device I have ever used always shows an an external device.
Vicks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-drives-not-assigned-a-drive-letter.991033/
Relevancy 100.62%

I have 4 USB memory sticks I use on a regular basis, a 4, a 16, a 32 and a 64 GB. This problem only happens with the 64 GB stick, and only on one of my several computers.
Most of the time when I insert it, windows does not automatically assign it a drive letter. I have to into the computer management --> Disk management section and manually assign it a drive letter. Occasionally however when it is inserted, windows assigns it a drive letter just fine. This only happens on one of my laptops. It works fine of all of my other computers and every other computer I have stuck it in. In addition, all the other drives work fine with that laptop. Any idea whats going on?

Relevancy 99.76%

yeah i am just trying to change the letter assigned to a hardrive
i am a idiot and i dont even know if it is possible
Thanks

A:Can you change the letter assigned to a hard drive ?

Right-click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. Right-click the drive you want to change. You just can't change the system drive letter..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-you-change-the-letter-assigned-to-a-hard-drive.363622/
Relevancy 99.76%

Hi there, I am using a Lenovo Y-50/70 Touch and I recently changed my hardrive from a 1 TB SSHD to a 2 TB SSD. After the migration I faced a strange problem which when I dug deeper I realised that the any drive/partition that I assign the letter D will never show up in This PC as a connected drive to access, although this D drive is visible in Disk Management and appears as a visible drive. However, I can access the drive when I type D: in the address bar of explorer.  I infer, with my extremely basic understanding and knowledge, that my system is for some reason set up to hide drive D, regardless of what it represents, hidden in This PC. I have tried everyting from formatting the D partition, to hiding it and then unhiding. Nothing works. I request the community to please help me solve this problem. CheersAlfi  

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Drive-assigned-letter-D-never-shows-up-in-explorer-This-PC/td-p/3435616
Relevancy 99.76%

Windows XP

The letter, F, is already assigned on all workstations to a resource on the server; however, Windows assigns a new USB thumb drive the same letter, which results in an inaccessible USB drive.

I changed the USB drive letter in Disk Management to I. This holds until the USB drive is disconnected and the computer is restarted. Then Windows again assigns the letter, F, to both the network resource and the USB drive.

How do I make Windows hold the settings I give it?

And, why would it assign the same letter to two resources, anyway?

Relevancy 99.76%

Hello everyone I recently purchased a new computer to which I transfered my existing Windows XP install copied the partition with Partition Magic then did a recovery off the Windows XP disk because it wouldn t boot I am now having a strange problem with my USB flash drive I plug it in it is detected as normal but it is not assigned a drive letter I can go into disk management and assign it an unused drive letter but it still does not appear in My Computer or Windows Explorer If while still in disk management I right-click the drive and choose quot Explore quot Windows Explorer pops up showing the drive contents for just an instant then automatically refreshes to My Computer which still does not show the drive letter I ve tried refreshing the view going to is a not is but drive letter assigned Flash browsable... run and typing the drive letter all to no avail Rebooting the machine changes nothing And my Flash drive is assigned a letter but is not browsable... Firewire iPod has the same problem Any suggestions would be greatly Flash drive is assigned a letter but is not browsable... appreciated Thanks Jacob nbsp

Relevancy 98.47%

I'm getting around to getting my new Lenovo Notebook set up to Drives New Notebook Have Assigned Need Letter New in Plugged Drive prior to replacing the stock HDD with a Sammy EVO New Drives Plugged in New Notebook Need to Have Drive Letter Assigned and I'm having a couple of problems that have me stumped The first time I plug in an external drive be it HDD or flash drive via a USB port I have to go into disk management to assign a drive letter to it even though it already has one and was working fine when I would plug it into my desktop machine Once I assigned the drive letter it would work fine from then on except for problem Once the drive has a drive letter reassigned I have to go into Computer to find it since the little window with the Autoplay context menu doesn't appear I've checked the Autoplay settings and have everything set to ask every time the way I prefer it What am I missing here Edit Ok this just got weirder I just now tried plugging in the external HDD into the preferred USB port and the little Autoplay window decided to pop up like a good little window should After ejecting and disconnecting the drive I then tried rebooting the computer then plugging in the drive The little window popped right up Same for the flash drive I had trouble with before when I plugged it in I then tried plugging the external drive in again and had to go into disk management yet again to reassign the stupid drive letter again Yeeesh

A:New Drives Plugged in New Notebook Need to Have Drive Letter Assigned

Wow! 167 views and no responses. This really must be a stinker of a problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/351217-new-drives-plugged-new-notebook-need-have-drive-letter-assigned.html
Relevancy 98.47%

DVD drive letter not assigned or present in explorer explorer, only after inserting a disk, after ejecting disk, letter disappear.

A:DVD drive letter not assigned or present in file explorer

This is typical if the drive is external USB drive.i_Xp/Vista/W7/W10 User

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/dvd-drive-letter-not-assigned-or-present-in-file-explorer/351.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Hi all newbie here Thanks for any advice and direction re posting All I want to do is see what's on the old drive specifically find out whether or not it has XP installed before I install it back into the tower it came from a Compaq that has other problems not worth fixing if this IDE drive isn't bootable If it has XP fine - but not Western letter is IDE assigned drive recognized Digital Old but it was set to slave I've connected the IDE drive a Western Digital Protege GB to my Win HP Pavilion Slimline via an Ultra quot USB to IDE SATA cable adapter quot with the jumper set to master as directed I've tried plugging the drive in to both the front USB port and a back one The drive spins up fine I tried to boot from it on my HP and Old Western Digital IDE not assigned drive letter but is recognized it won't do it No matter where the USB cable is plugged in the Protege is recognized by BIOS appears to be shown in the Registry but with multiple entries weird prefixes and shows up in Disk Management as Disk but without a drive letter I can't assign a drive letter to it in DM - the only option not greyed out is Delete Volume In elevated command prompt the disk does not show up via the quot list volume quot command So I think I read somewhere been searching for an answer for hours now that you can't change the drive letter when it contains an OS Is this true Is there a way for me to assign a drive letter examine the files on this IDE drive Thanks again Lisa

A:Old Western Digital IDE not assigned drive letter but is recognized

In my experience, when you're connecting a single drive this way, you generally do not have any jumpers set. You could try it that way to see if it makes any difference.

And no, it doesn't matter if any partitions on the drive contain an OS. I do this stuff all the time for the same reasons -- reusing an older drive that has an OS installed on it. I've not had problems assigning drive letters to the partitions on the drives.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/258799-old-western-digital-ide-not-assigned-drive-letter-but-recognized.html
Relevancy 97.61%

Hi,

first, I have searched a lot on the net and seen that this has happened to a lot of other people. In my case, it is System Reserved (G, and is using 71.9mb of 99.9mb space.

Other users are discussing removing it, merging it with (C and so on. But my question is - can I just leave it as it is, with no ill effects? I'm not bothered by it, as long as nothing has\will go wrong.

thanks for any answers,

gubar

A:Windows 7 install on new SSD -- system reserved assigned its own drive letter?

I have this also. It is not an issue for me and I don't see why it would cause ill effects. Cheers.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-install-on-new-ssd-system-reserved-assigned-its-own-drive-letter.189968/
Relevancy 97.61%

I have two hard drives in my computer which is a old Compaq Presario 5WV271 5000 series, both hard drives have Windows XP pro (service pack 3)that I installed on it years ago. It has the max alotted memory, a 10/100 PCI NIC, 900 MHz AMD Athlon Processor, a master hard drive 40 GB (drive C) that I am using to connect here and a slave hard drive 60 GB that says drive D when I am using it but not found when on drive C. For some reason drive C shows a (New Volume F). I am posting here to see if anyone can help me to understand why my slave drive which started out being New Volume F (which it still is when I look for it from drive C) is showing local disk D when I am using the slave. Does anyone have any idea why the slave would reletter itself and how do I correct this?

A:Slave hard drive shows different assigned letter on itself than what is on master

I will try .

Drive letters are normally assigned by Windows...in the order in which a drive is detected...with one exception. The optical drive is obviously the first drive detected when installing Windows from CD...but it always will receive the D: letter, assuming that there are only two drives (hard drive and an optical drive) attached to the system and, therefore, recognized as existing.

These rules do not apply to any OEM system where a manufacturer has installed Windows and possibly also created either hidden or additional partitions.

Sooo...when I install XP, I have one hard drive connected...with nothing on it...and an optical drive. The optical drive is set up as D: and the partition I create and install XP upon...is set up as C:.

I have no card readers or external drives or USB drives attached, since these can interfere with the hardware recognition process.

Once XP is installed, I open it and decide to create additional partitions on my very large hard drive. I create a storage partition of 100GB and Windows assigns the letter E:. I create an additional storage partition of 150GB and Windows assigns the letter F:.

I then decide to install another version of Windows...on the same hard drive. I use my install CD to create the partition and install Windows and it assigns the letter G: to that install...because C:, D:, E:, F: are already accounted for and in use.

I now have a dual-boot, if I have done everything smartly. One version of Windows as the first recognized partition, one version of Windows as the last recognized partition.

All is well and makes sense...until I boot into the other version of Windows. Windows will designate the version which is operative and booted into...as C:...as long as it is being used.

So once I boot into the version which had been F:, it becomes C:. The version which had been recognized as C: is now seen as D: from the second version of Windows. All the other drive letters assigned will probably also change...I say probably because a user can make a drive letter assignment "permanent" by giving it a letter such as "W" or some other letter which won't have a conflict with another partition/drive already having that letter.

Bottom line...only one version of Windows can run at a single point in time...that version will always be seen as C: from within that install. It really doesn't matter what letter is assigned any other version of Windows from within that install...Windows only sees it as just another drive/partition.

Until it is booted into...the drive letter is unimportatnt. Once booted into, the drive letter will be C:.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/427392/slave-hard-drive-shows-different-assigned-letter-on-itself-than-what-is-on-master/
Relevancy 95.03%

I'm playing with a recently retired server running 32bit Windows 7 Professional. Originally it was configured as RAID 0 with 5 SATA drives. Those drives are gone but I want to install a spare 2TB SATA drive that I have. Using the RAID Management software I have created the drive and it shows the correct configured capacity. I initialized the disk with Disk Management and it lists the disk as online but it doesn't show up in the volume list with a drive letter. My intention is to use the 2TB drive as media storage. Other than combing RAID and Windows 7, what am I doing wrong? Am I better off reformatting everything and reloading Windows?

A:Unable to assign drive letter to newly installed SATA drive.

I had the same problem this week with a drive like that. Have you tried to reformat it? Also make sure your system can handle a 2TB drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/213241-unable-assign-drive-letter-newly-installed-sata-drive.html
Relevancy 94.6%

I have just finished building a PC based on a Athlon MSI K N Neo motherboard drive F: assigned SATA as Single and a Seagate SATA GB HDD OS is XP Pro with SP installed In addition there a DVD ROM and DVD rewriter on the Primary Single SATA drive assigned as F: IDE channel set as master and slave and a combined floppy card reader The floppy has been assigned A the DVD ROM C the DVD RW D and the card reader E The HDD has been assigned F I have the latest BIOS and motherboard drivers downloaded today The BIOS shows SATA enabled but Device Manager shows it as a PATA The HDD is set as the first device in the boot sequence I have tried removing all the other devices to see if the HDD reverts to C but it stays as F Single SATA drive assigned as F: I have tried changing it to C in Disk Management but I get an error message saying Windows will not allow me to do so How can I get the HDD to be shown as C I can t help thinking and the answer is obvious but I am currently going roung in circles Any help greatfully received nbsp

Relevancy 92.02%

I have a USB external hard drive that I keep all my documents etc on had it change Hard Drive back - Letter - to External Drive unable changed for years I upgraded from Vista Home to amp Home Premium then had to upgrade recently to Professional to run my Sage Through all these upgrades my ext drive ran fine Occasionally the drvie letter would change if I had something else plugged into the USB this was External Hard Drive - Drive Letter changed - unable to change back always easily corected in disk management by changing the drive path The connection on the case packed up so I had to get the External Hard Drive - Drive Letter changed - unable to change back drive put into a new case now when I plug it in the drive is assigned G instead of F I tried to change the drive letter allocation in Disk Management but it won't let me as the program still thinks I have a second ext hard drive which is labelled F I suspect this has happened because when the usb connection broke the drive was disconnected suddenly instead of a proper eject How do I get Disk Management to remove the inactive drive - i can't find any obvious way - eject delete etc are all missing when I click on tools or tasks If there is no easy way then how do I stop program updates for Adobe etc failing because they can not find the F drive I don't know why they look at that drive anyway Help

A:External Hard Drive - Drive Letter changed - unable to change back

Hi PAMDILL,

Welcome aboard.

Try this:

Download drivecleanup.zip V 0.8.1 from

Drive Tools for Windows

Unzip to a folder. In it you will have two folders Win32 and x64, each containing DriveCleanup.exe for Windows 32bit and 64 bit respectively.

Now unplug all the USB devices from your PC (except of course the Keyboard and mouse), right click on the appropriate DriveCleanup.exe for your system and run it as an administrator.

This will remove all non-present drives from the registry.

Reboot and then plug-in your external drive.

The drive will be installed and hopefully you should be able to assign any free drive letter to it.

Please report whether it resolved your problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/248054-external-hard-drive-drive-letter-changed-unable-change-back.html
Relevancy 92.02%

xp cannot find it disk manager can do format and no drive letter help please thank you permalink robtonet Registered User Join Date Apr Posts OS xp help trying to initialize an external hard drive on xp home ed -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- i may not know enough about the problem to completly describe it but i will begin an gig external hard drive was given to me it was rebuilt on a win system my home edition of win xp--reconginzes it as disk - in disk manager however it is not formatted or able to be found and does not have a drive letter assigend to it i logged on as quot administrator quot in safe mode to see if i could get the drive path settings option to maxtor external hard drive drive and by letter undesignated unformatted come up in disk manager i could not-------does any of this make any sense to anyone that option still does not come up under user or administrator in disk managment--so it is unformatted and has no drive letter thus xp cannot find it OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version Service Pack Build OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name System Manufacturer Dell Inc System Model ME System Type X -based PC Processor x Family Model Stepping GenuineIntel Mhz BIOS Version Date Dell Inc A SMBIOS Version Windows Directory C WINDOWS System Directory C WINDOWS system Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version quot xpsp sp rtm - quot User Name Time Zone Central Daylight Time Total Physical Memory MB Available Physical Memory MB Total Virtual Memory GB Available Virtual Memory GB Page File Space GB Page File C pagefile sys and here it is the maxtor HID-compliant mouse HID VID D amp PID C D amp CF B amp amp Intel R FB FBM USB Universal Host Controller - PCI VEN amp DEV amp SUBSYS C maxtor external hard drive unformatted and undesignated by drive letter amp REV maxtor external hard drive unformatted and undesignated by drive letter amp AAA amp amp E Intel R FB FBM USB Universal Host Controller - PCI VEN amp DEV amp SUBSYS C amp REV amp AAA amp amp E Intel R FB FBM USB Universal Host Controller - A PCI VEN amp DEV A amp SUBSYS C amp REV amp AAA amp amp EA Intel R FB FBM USB Universal Host Controller - B PCI VEN amp DEV B amp SUBSYS C amp REV amp AAA amp amp EB Intel R FB FBM USB Enhanced Host Controller - C PCI VEN amp DEV C amp SUBSYS C maxtor external hard drive unformatted and undesignated by drive letter amp REV amp AAA amp amp EF MAXTOR L J USB Device USBSTOR DISK amp VEN MAXTOR amp PROD L J amp REV amp USB Human Interface Device USB VID D amp PID C D amp F D amp amp USB Mass Storage Device USB VID C B amp PID BCF USB Root Hub USB ROOT HUB amp F amp USB Root Hub USB ROOT HUB amp A B amp USB Root Hub USB ROOT HUB amp A EC amp USB Root Hub USB ROOT HUB amp DBF amp USB Root Hub USB ROOT HUB amp E B A amp it is on the system and the system reconginizes it but i cant find it click on it and it is not in my list when i open start and explore devices any help -------it apparently needs to be formatted with nfts or fat i am lost i am afraid this will be a sort of convuleted email tag deal so thanks for you help-------robtonet yahoo com

A:maxtor external hard drive unformatted and undesignated by drive letter

What size is the hard drive?

Do you know what motherboard you have?

STEP 1: CHECK POWER (click for expanded instructions further down the page)

Verify that the drive light and the light on the AC adapter (power supply) is illuminated normally.
It is sometimes necessary to contact Technical Support for troubleshooting and/or possibly to replace the power supply if it behaves unusually.

STEP 2: CHECK CABLING (click for expanded instructions further down the page)

Confirm that your USB/Firewire cable is firmly connected in a port that is on the rear of your desktop computer (if you have a desktop).
Try another USB or Firewire port.
If your drive is powered only by USB, such as the FreeAgent Go, the Maxtor OneTouch mini, and the Seagate Portable drive, then the drive's cable has two USB connectors. Try connecting both of the free USB connectors into a USB port for maximum power availability.
Avoid connecting the drive via a USB hub for now.

STEP 3: WINDOWS SERVICE PACKS

Follow these instructions to ensure that your installation of Windows XP/2000 has been updated to the latest Windows Service Pack.

Right-click on My Computer and choose Properties.

The System Properties window will appear. On the General tab (which will be at the front), see the "System:" information.

For Windows 2000: Update to Service Pack 4.

For Windows XP: Update to Service Pack 2.

Allow your computer to complete the installation of the Service Pack.

Reboot the computer and connect the drive. Turn it on and see if the drive is detected now.

STEP 4: CHECK DISK MANAGEMENT (click for expanded instructions further down the page)

Check Disk Management to see if the drive is detected there.

Right-click on My Computer, select Manage, select Disk Management.

Check the upper window to find whether the drive letter is present.

Check the lower window to find whether the drive is detected (such as, Disk 1, Disk 2, etc).

If it is detected as with a drive letter, verify no other device is already using that drive letter. If it is, change the drive letter of the external drive to some unused letter (click here to see more instructions on how to do so).

If changing the drive letter is not possible or the drive does not have a drive letter at all, attempt to reformat the drive (click here to see more instructions on how to do so). This will erase any data on the drive, but since the drive is brand new, there is nothing to erase on it.

If it is still not detected, proceed to Step 4.

STEP 5: CHECK DEVICE MANAGER (click for expanded instructions further down the page)

Verify that your Windows installation contains the most recent Service Pack.

In the left column of Computer Management, click on Device Manager.

Look for the drive?s model number/name in Disk drives (a category under Device Manager).

It will probably not be there. If it is, test the drive on another computer if you can.

If it is not there, check under Other devices (a category under Device Manager).

If under Other devices an Unknown device appears, double-click on it.

Under the General tab, we would expect to see "This device is not working properly" and either (Code 28) or (Code 10).

If Code 10 appears, the drive has most probably failed.
Double-check that you have installed the most up-to-date Windows Service Pack.
Verify by trying the drive with another USB cable or port, or on another computer.
If none of this gets the drive detected, you can begin a replacement order online, or, since the drive is new, you can usually exchange the faulty unit for a replacement at your place of purchase (please contact the place of purchase for a full explanation of their policy regarding returns).

If Code 28 appears, you will need to test the drive on another computer. If the drive works fine on another computer, follow the procedure in this Knowledge... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/maxtor-external-hard-drive-unformatted-and-undesignated-by-drive-letter-240156.html
Relevancy 92.02%

My External Hard Drive (My Book) was always Drive letter F.

I went to sleep and woke up to find Windows 7 Pro had updated and rebooted and I was welcomed by my login screen.

Consequently now my My Book external HDD now reads as Drive letter G.

I went into Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management

Drive letter F is not available.

F is assigned to a drive that does not exist and never has. I am confused. I only have one CD drive and it says now that I have 2 even though the one addressed as F doesn't have any information. If I click on F it says "Insert Disk"

A:External Hard Drive (F) Drive Letter changed to G - Can't change back

Update: The mysterious other CD Rom drive seems to be MagicJack.

I did some research but the following tech help did NOT work as you can see by the previous post picture that it doesn't not show it up in Disk Management:

MagicJack/Support Resources/How-To/Assign Drive Letters - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/311689-external-hard-drive-f-drive-letter-changed-g-cant-change-back.html
Relevancy 92.02%

i can't get my puter to read the data on an external hard drive. wants me to format it even though it recognizes the drive letter i gave it when i did format it. don't want to lose the 100+ gigs of data i have on this drive.

A:my computer recognizes the drive letter but not the data on external hard drive

Does the external drive work on another machine?

Also, while the drive is still connected, can you go into Device Manager (right-click My Computer, click on 'Manage...', click on 'Device Manager') to check for any yellow exclamation marks or red crosses next to anything in there?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computer-recognizes-the-drive-letter-but-not-the-data-on-external-hard-drive.472352/
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi Bit of background first my old harddrive which was split into C and D approx gig each went Kaput had it replaced with an SSD at my request because I heard they to backup & causing drive problems letter external rename Drive Changes to don't overheat and are faster by an experienced computer technician and no longer having to deal with split drives suited me fine I only have half the storage space now about Gg in comparison to Gg but cost was a factor at the time SSD's being so expensive Very happy with the new SSD Changes to Drive letter & rename causing backup problems to external drive speed etc My operating system is Windows Home Changes to Drive letter & rename causing backup problems to external drive Premium bit SP My backups were all stored on a Goflex external harddrive which the technician accidentally dropped on the floor he then replaced this with an external drive with an on off switch Pleased about the Changes to Drive letter & rename causing backup problems to external drive on off switch the other didn't have one very upset about the dropping my other one All working fine doing my backups to my new external drive he gave me using my Acronis True Image software version that I had always used My old external drive was set up to drive E and all my previous backups in Acronis show drive E so perhaps this is why the technician set this new one up to Drive F not sure And maybe this is why I got the error message below Well in my infinite wisdom which with computer technology isn't great I must admit I suddenly decided I wanted to backup to an external drive with the letter E E for External seemed so much more practical to me just like before not F like now so I found out how to go and change the letter from F to E again and also the name of the drive I got a message after I changed the drive letter to E saying this might cause a problem with some files or something but I did it anyway feeling adventurous at the time Kind of regretting it now I had run a complete PC backup with Acronis software to external drive F on the st March which went completely smoothly Then I think I did a backup of just files and folders on rd March also Then after I changed that drive letter to E and then gave the drive an entirely new name cause I didn't like the name the tech had given it I then did another complete PC backup After this I got a system message from Acronis that said Warning The specified file path does not exist Click RETRY to try to read from the same location To Create a new version according to the current backup scheme click CANCEL I opted to click CANCEL not RETRY Was this a good or bad choice So far haven't received any advice from Acronis regarding this matter My question is have I stuffed up future backups by changing the drive letter and renaming the drive If so how do I rectify it Help someone LOLRegards Jen

A:Changes to Drive letter & rename causing backup problems to external drive

I don't use Acronis, but if you think changing the drive letter caused a problem, can't you just change it back?  The Administrative Tools applet of the Control Panel is what I've always used to change drive letters. Changing the name (I assume you mean the drive label) should have no effect.

Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/608721/changes-to-drive-letter-rename-causing-backup-problems-to-external-drive/
Relevancy 91.59%

hi there,
i just bought a preowned Seagate Freeagent Goflex,when i plugged it into my usb port windows installed the driver,but when i click on my computer it dosnt show though in disk management it is listed and online,i also have enabled automount and changed it from dynamic to basic.
Im not great on computers and any help would be greatly appreciated i only want to use the new disk for back ups.
Many thanks in advance.
paul.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/395666-windows-wont-allocat-drive-letter-external-drive.html
Relevancy 91.59%

hi there,
i just bought a preowned Seagate Freeagent Goflex,when i plugged it into my usb port windows installed the driver,but when i click on my computer it dosnt show though in disk management it is listed and online,i also have enabled automount and changed it from dynamic to basic.
Im not great on computers and any help would be greatly appreciated i only want to use the new disk for back ups.
Many thanks in advance.
paul.

A:windows wont allocate drive letter to external drive

Please post a full screenshot of Windows Disk Management with only the Seagate Freeagent GoFlex external drive plugged in. ( Plug out all other external drives). Please read this tutorial and adhere to the guidelines therein to post a full Screenshot disabling Console Tree, Action Pane and adjusting the seperators as necessary to show all information. Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/395666-windows-wont-allocate-drive-letter-external-drive.html
Relevancy 91.59%

I have a wierd problem that most of the suggestions seem not to work.
I have a HP computer with Vista basic installed at factory with no disc sent with computer. I then added an external drive on which I installed Ubuntu OS as the primary boot drive. This was needed while I was learning and using Asterisk. Now I do not need the drive which no longer seems to have a letter designation or Ubuntu OS but cannot seem to be able to use System Recovery. Near as I can tell, I need to reset the Master Boot Record back to Vista only but seem unable to do so as I recieved no disks with the Computer.
Any suggestions. I am not extremely skilled at computer technical stuff so please assume I am an idiot if responding.

A:Removing External drive with Ubuntu OS but no drive letter designation

Hi,

Look here for one un-install option: -

How To Safely Uninstall Ubuntu From A Windows Dual-Boot PC

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/292663-removing-external-drive-ubuntu-os-but-no-drive-letter-designation.html
Relevancy 90.73%

I have a LaCie Porsche Design P9223 Slim External 500GB USB3Hard Drive that my father was using on his computer (with no problem). We're both running Windows 7. My computer, a Dell Studio XPS9000, won't recognize it in "My Computer". There's no drive letter!

It shows up in Device Manager ( says, "this device is working properly")
Show up in USB Safely Remove
Shows up in Devices and Printers
Shows up in Disk Management as Unknown/Unitialized, Disk 10. (When I right click and try to initialize it, it says "Device is not ready".)
The Driver is up to date
It works when I attach it to my husband's laptop, running Windows XP.

What can I do to assign it a drive letter???

Peg

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-wont-assign-drive-letter-to-external-drive.1158228/
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi, I have an Asus n61 notebook & a 1tb WD external drive connected via esata. I want my notebook to recognize the drive as G, for program pathway reasons, but as it needs to be connected before power up my system sees it as F. When I try to 'change drive letter' in Disk Management it simply says 'the parameter is incorrect'. I have never had problems assigning drive letters in XP. What is the secret in W7?
Thanks.

Relevancy 89.01%

I purchased an external USB2 hard drive case (that has a power cable and USB output cable) and installed a 120GB Seagate drive. It seems like my laptop (running XP, USB1) will recognize the drive when I plug it in (as an USB Mass Storage device) but it does not give it a drive letter (like E) for me to access it. I have tried changing the Master, Slave, Cable Select jumper on the drive with no success. When I plug in a USB thumb drive, my laptop assigns a drive letter and I can access it via Windows Explorer with no problems, but with the 120 GB external drive, I have no luck? The drive shows up under the Control Panel.....Device Manager as a hard drive just under my laptop drive, but there is no way to store files on this external drive. Any suggestions?

A:USB External Hard drive - no drive letter

Hello and welcome... You may need to configure the drive in winXP for it to be seen properly.

Go here...
Control Panel---> adminstrative tools---> computer management---> disk management...

Does it see the hard there? I believe it will show up as Disk1... Select it and format it, you can also change the drive letter if you would like

Good luck,
G

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-external-hard-drive-no-drive-letter.150644/
Relevancy 89.01%

I am setting up a new computer running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I attached an old 500GB USB 2.0 hard drive. System notification showed the driver was successfully installed. However when I looked for the drive in Windows Explorer, it did not show up under Computer.

I ran Microsoft's Computer Management application. Under Disk Management, I see that the drive does not have a drive letter (see attached screenshot). However when I right-click on the drive, the option to assign a drive letter is grayed out. I searched Microsoft's documentation, but the only reason I could find for not being able to assign a drive letter would be if the disk was a system partition or boot partition. But this is just an ordinary HDD that I want to use for backups. What am I doing wrong?

A:Cannot add a drive letter to an external hard drive

Try to reformat it with NTFS if there is nothing on it. Use Partition Wizard free if Disk Management won't

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/372849-cannot-add-drive-letter-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hi I ve a Dell pc assigned letter partition by "visible" and Windows drive becoming Hidden XP with a small hidden diagnostic FAT EISA partition Starting a few days ago this formerly Hidden partition becoming "visible" and assigned drive letter by Windows XP hidden partition appears to have become visible to Windows XP which assigns it a drive Hidden partition becoming "visible" and assigned drive letter by Windows XP letter I used the command quot mountvol d quot to remove such newly created drive letter but it reappears everytime Windows boots or restarts even in Safe Mode Has anyone experienced anything similar Is it possible that a certain registry setting relating to the formerly hidden partition has somehow been altered If so how can this be reversed so that no drive letter is assigned automatically to the formerly hidden partition An interesting observation is that in HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM MountedDevices there is no DosDevices x where x is the drive letter which corresponds to the drive letter now assigned to the formerly hidden partition I cannot use the Disk Management MMC Snap-in to remove the drive letter assignment since selecting the partition and right-clicking only brings up a single quot Help quot line in the context menu without any of the usual options like quot Change Drive Letter and Paths quot Thanks in advance for any suggestions and feedback Luke nbsp

A:Hidden partition becoming "visible" and assigned drive letter by Windows XP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hidden-partition-becoming-visible-and-assigned-drive-letter-by-windows-xp.938588/
Relevancy 88.58%

I am trying to get windows to see this new sata drive on xp box drive is there has data because it was once connected before all cables and connections are good adaptec sata host controller pci card is installed and recognized windows will NOT recognize the drive or give it a drive letter designation in disk manager it shows the drive the volume and calls it a quot dynamic disk quot and is unreadable not XP drive in letter getting drive SATA see the notes below many many kind thanks for your help on this hair-puller oh yes i have searched many many threads on many forums believe me i wouldnt be here posting this situation if i SATA drive not getting drive letter in XP could find the answer -------------- This is an OEM drive Samsung SP C SATA gb The first time I tried to install the drive I had a similar experience -- Windows essentially know it s there but does not assign it a drive letter After much futzing around involving cable swaps driver updates sata host controller driver re-installs windows tweaks jumper settings BIOS upgrades etc not much happened Then one day the SATA drive not getting drive letter in XP drive appeared and had a drive letter H Seriously I proceeded to use it for a few months putting music and pictures on it mainly I was able to access it fine I shutdown restarted many times A month ago I disconnected the drive while it and e t else was powered down I went out of town for a week I came back I put the drive back in and Windows saw it no problem I continued to put data on it Last Thursday Windows stop recognizing SATA drive not getting drive letter in XP the drive for some reason but the drive is still quot there quot Here s how I know a Disk Manager shows the drive as Dynamic Unreadable b SysInfo shows the drive as existant it s the GB drive I dont remember doing anything drastic While I was moving data I happened to delete a user not admin -- just a basic user profile that i didnt need anymore that s the ONLY thing i can remember doing that was system related So what do you think happened I am at wit s end I ve checked many forums for similar problems but can t find an answer Admittedly i AM a moron One guy with a very similar issue used a partition repair program with success DO you think I have a problem like that Corrupted partition tables I think that s the best summary i can give but im sure i ve forgotton something Any help or ideas any of you could offer would be so appreciated that i would likely push everlasting good karma your way thank you again nbsp

Relevancy 88.15%

Hi,
My windows 7 is suddenly applying a drive letter to the system partition, and removing the letter which causes the "new disk inserted" window to keep popping up every half second. In Disk Manager the drive letter appears and disappears every half second.
The only way I've stopped it is to permanently apply a drive letter, which means it is now visible in windows explorer.

A:System reserved partition becoming "visible" and intermittently assigned drive letter by Windows

I assume by 'system partition' you really mean the hidden system restore partition installed by your PC builder? If so, then after I just fired up Paragon Partition Manager to see what it makes of that partition on my Win 7 PC, I find the partition is Primary, NTFS, active, not hidden, volume name WinRe.

The main interesting thing is the volume letter seems to be set to '*'. It appears as (*) rather than (C: ) as the OS drive does. Furthermore, the main menu has a 'partition' tab, where one of the options is 'assign drive letter', and the next option below is 'remove drive letter' which is currently greyed out.

Looking at the standard Windows computer management, storage, disk management, I see a similar picture, except there is no volume letter at all (apparent in that window anyway).

Quite how the partition gets identified in that way is a puzzle, but you might try a free partition manager, such as gparted and see what that says, and possibly allows you to change. As I say above, Paragon Partition Manager might let you de-assign a drive letter but I dont dare try it myself

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-reserved-partition-becoming-visible-and-intermittently-assigned-drive-letter-by-windows.188983/
Relevancy 86.86%

If I have 2 IDE drives, each of which has 2 partitions, so that they are assigned as drives:
C/E, D/F
and
I have 2 CD Drives, G & H

If I add an Serial ATA disk what letter is assigned to it? How are my existing drive assignments changed?

Yes I know I can change the drive letter in windows but I like to keep my window (WINXP) drive letter assignments the same as my DOS assignments.

A:SATA Drive Letter Assignments

Is this going to be a boot disc (the SATA) or an add on for storage? Best guess is that a non boot drive will be "G". And of course there is really no DOS in XP.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-drive-letter-assignments.342886/
Relevancy 85.57%

Been working on this all day without success I have a new TB external drive that came with my new IMac I formatted the external drive as FAT on my IMac When I plug it into my XP I cannot External letter Drive can't get drive get it to come up under quot My External Drive can't get drive letter Computer quot It is listed under systems hardware device manager with the other USB devices Under administrative tools computer management storage disk management it appears as quot Disk quot It was not initialized but I have done that However it doesn t have a letter drive All it says is quot Basic quot and is listed as online Under properties of the drive I can t see anything that appears off though I am admittedly ignorant about this stuff It also will not let me right click to change the drive letter as I can with the USB drives The only option under right click is properties and help Thanks for any help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-drive-cant-get-drive-letter.856837/
Relevancy 84.28%

As part of our 2003 server backup system, we do a copy of data onto a usb external hard drive. The fixed drives are c:\, d:\ for the CD and m:\ for our data. Most of the time, when we attach the external hard drive, it is allocated as the e:\ drive, which is what I would expect.

However, sometimes it is allocated as the f:\ drive, which obviously messes up the backup program.

It occurs to me that if the usb drives are swapped too quickly, Windows still thinks something is on e:\ and allocates f:\ but we tried doing it with a couple of minutes gap and it still allocated f:\.

Is there any way to fix the drive letter or it is always up to Windows to pick the drive letter it feels like?

Thanks.

Relevancy 84.28%

Hi,
I have an external 1TB-USB-HD, which is shown in the WIN adminstration of drives, but the option "assign drive letter" is grey. I use this drive since a year, formerly it was recognized without problems. The device manager recognizes it, the driver is actual.
The PC further has one internal HD (C: , two DVD-drives(D:, E: and a cardreader with for drives (K:, L:, J:, M: . Because I had problems with this, I sometimes use an external cardreader, which uses N:, G:, H:, I:
I connected the external HD to another Win8.1-PC with only a drive C:. It shows the same problems.
What to do?

A:no drive letter for external USB-HD

Is it USB 2.0 or 3.0? This can happen if you plug it into another slot.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/60851-no-drive-letter-external-usb-hd.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Will my external WD hard drive (used for backups) work with a PC that has internal SATA drives only ?

Relevancy 83.42%

nbsp Hi I have a Samsung SSD PM om my Dell Latitude E i Ghz GB DDR Win Pro -bit laptop I have a GB powered external HD attached to it In 'My Computer' there is no drive letter for it When I click on SSD c problem External Drive letter then properties then hardware it is shown in that drive like it's a partition of that c drive Also d External Drive letter problem is my 'recovery' a partition on c drive I want to move some of my files onto my external HD but I cannot do it When I highlight a file then click on 'send to' there is no drive letter for my external HD Seems like my computer is making the external HD part of c drive only not a drive on its own I have never had a problem hooking up external HD's before but I very new to SSD's and I'm at a standstill on how to fix this problem I've tried what others have said in windowsforum windows nbsp but with no results I believe there's a simple solution for my External Drive letter problem problem can anyone help nbsp me Thanks Forrest

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/50f511a5-d205-4426-b188-f70b1034083b/external-drive-letter-problem?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 83.42%

Alright so i wanted to set my External Hard Drive letter to K because my iTunes XML library file recognizes all my music being on path K:\ and so on.

Can anyone figure out what's up? Please.

I have an idea it might because of my 5-in-1 card reader but in my XP OS it showed them by default under the "My Computer" option regardless of there being a card or not. Do you think that in 7 a card actually has to be present for it to have shown up?

A:Why can't I change my External HD to Drive Letter K?

I you go to folder options in the control panel got o the "view" tab and check the box to show hidden folders, files and drives....you may find that a card reader or something else already has that letter in use.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/9105-why-cant-i-change-my-external-hd-drive-letter-k.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Windows xp pro is not showing a drive letter now for my external hd. It shows up in device mgr. that it's working fine. tried in laptop and other pc with same results. Maxtor 40g

A:External drive letter not showing

Does the drive show up in disk management?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/external-drive-letter-not-showing-358358.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I have XPpro w/sp2 and have been using this external 200gb drive for about 2 years and I also hook up a 5/in/1 card reader to the front USB. Just the other day I went to use the external 200gb drive and it was not there. I checked Disk Managment and it shows up as (Disk 1) Basic 189.90GB online BUT no letter for the drive. It says it is "Unallocated". I tryed it on 2 other machines and same thing. How can I get to the data on this disk?

A:External USB HD not showing up with a drive letter?

Only things you can try are jumpering the drive a slave to a master hard drive on a pc and see if you can read the data. Beyond that, time to try data recovery software.
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-usb-hd-not-showing-up-with-a-drive-letter.556072/
Relevancy 83.42%

Hey all I was wondering if anyone knows an answer to my frustrations I have all my music on an external hard drive along with my movies tv shows etc much the same as a lot of people do these days However I have these problems occasionally that I don t see why Microsoft doesn t just fix I have two external HDDs right OK I unplug both restart same external drive Keeping a for letter the HDD the computer and plug them in in the wrong order for whatever reason that what was E becomes F and what was F becomes E Now why doesn t the same HDD keep the same drive letter Every time i plug them in wrong I have to go into storage management and change the drive letters around which seems like a waste of time just to get my music player to find my library Does Windows have something built in to get around this Or is there an application that can manage my hard drives letters I understand Microsoft issues out drive letters in the order of which they are mounted But is there something that can bypass that and make them stay Keeping the same drive letter for a external HDD the same every bootup Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 82.99%

Hi,

I formatted and installed windows 7 64 bit in a pc which previously had windows 7 32 bit.
When i booted my 1tb dynamic disk was not detected. So I went into disk management and it had listed my disk as "Foreign Disk". So i imported the foreign disk.

The drive was detected and opened. So i rebooted the pc but now the drive is still not appearing in my computer. When i go to disk management the 1tb appears but there is no drive letter assigned. When i try to assign drive letter it statest that "Specified File cannot be found"

I am desperate please help me.

A:Unable to assign Drive Letter to Sata Dynamic Hard Diski

somebody please help me.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/231820-unable-assign-drive-letter-sata-dynamic-hard-diski.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I assign greyed Paths... Change drive letter. out. and Can't Drive Letter have a drive that has a lot of information on it that I need A user left our company and all of his files are on this drive I was handed it and asked to build a VM with all his information on it When I plug the drive in it loads the drivers and shows up just fine Change Drive Letter and Paths... greyed out. Can't assign drive letter. in Computer Management shown below but not in Computer So I think ok I'll just add a drive letter but that option is greyed out and won't let me The disk Change Drive Letter and Paths... greyed out. Can't assign drive letter. is initialized and appears to be healthy I have gone to device manager and made sure there were no problems there as well It was also an external drive so I removed it and made it an internal drive on my machine but got the same results It shows up in BIOS but obviously can't boot off of it since it is not an OS drive Deleting formatting the drive is not an option Is there a way to get this drive accessible without that Deleting it is the exact opposite of what I want done here nbsp Thanks

A:Change Drive Letter and Paths... greyed out. Can't assign drive letter.

That looks like a mac formatted drive, that's why it wont work on your PC. Try installing Paragon HFS+ for Windows.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1ba097f6-8a0b-43d8-a826-928458c4ba15/change-drive-letter-and-paths-greyed-out-cant-assign-drive-letter?forum=w7itprohardware
Relevancy 82.13%

I have an external USB floppy drive that got assigned the drive letter B when it was plugged into one of the usb ports on the back of my PC.

I need to change it to letter A. The drive is not listed under computer management: disk management. Removing the drive and reinstalling does not chhange the drive letter. Removing the driver in device manager
results in installing new hardware, but with drive letter B. The Bios has several settings releated to usb devices--but nothing to do with drive letters.

so I am at a loss of how to fix this---any help would be most apreciated

A:External usb floppy: change Drive letter from B to A

Is there already a Drive A:?

~Lordbob

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/207130-external-usb-floppy-change-drive-letter-b.html
Relevancy 82.13%

i having a same problem, but is server, my server is HP Proliant ML150 G3,
i wonder install window server 2003, after boot to CD i press F6 install additional driver, and it show insert a floppy disk to drive A, but after i put my floppy disk and press enter, it show the same thing ask to insert floppy disk, i suspect it can't recognize external floppy drive as drive A, i havent install window yet, how i know external floppy drive letter and change the letter, some one please reply me as soon as possible, urgent, thanks

A:Change the letter of external floppy drive?

Zion880818 - Ditch the external floppy drive on this one. Break down and spend ten bucks on an internal floppy or borrow one from another machine. It takes 5 minutes or less to install and will rid you of your aggravation.
Sometimes the easiest solution is plain as day.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/change-the-letter-of-external-floppy-drive-250332.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Here are the facts:
I put no floppy drive in my computer when I built it.
I forgot my admin password.
I downloaded a program to recover the password.
The program requires a floppy disk.
I plug my external floppy disk drive in.
The batch program is set to execute on the A: drive.
My external floppy disk drive is the B: drive.
There is nothing in the A: drive.
My USB floppy disk drive will not show up on the disk management scren.

Is there some way I can change the letter of my external floppy drive? I have no cds here, so I can't download that version of the program.

A:Change the letter of external floppy drive?

See if you can disable the floppy device in your bios. Even though you don't have a floppy drive internally, the controller is still there so the bios and operating system reserver A: for the drive letter. You might be able to disable the floppy drive in the bios but I doubt it. See if you can use the subst command I doubt that will work if you are booting from a boot disk though.
subst a: b:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/change-the-letter-of-external-floppy-drive-87784.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I have two WD My Passport TB external drives operating via USB ports on my Qosmio Laptop I have no problem changing the different drive letters individually Lets say the black one is allocated Drive F When I disconnect the black one and connect the silver one it thinks it is Drive F too so I rename it to G then disconnect it and reconnect the black one only to find it is now G as well When I connect both to the laptop the first one connects as say Drive F but when I connect the second one as well it seems to think drive to letter change external Unable its F also but the Drive letter cannot be changed while both are connected I also can only read Unable to change external drive letter the first drive and the second one has no drive letter assigned to it The silver one is formatted to Fat and the Black one if formatted to NTFS although I don't believe that matters What I would like to do is copy all the files from silver to black then format the silver one to NTFS Any suggestions

A:Unable to change external drive letter

Found this on another site:

Solution found here, thanks to Win7Survivor.

Thank you all

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/348117-unable-change-external-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I have a situation that isn't really a major problem but is slightly annoying and somewhat Drive Changing External Hard Letter puzzling I have an external TB Iomega USB hard drive on my system It Changing External Hard Drive Letter is set to be Drive Y Most of the time everything is fine But occasionally after I boot the system I'll get the pop up on the screen asking me what I want to do with Drive J And yes the quot new quot Drive J is indeed really my Iomega external drive I can go into Disk Management and reassign the drive letter back to Y and everything is fine again Sometimes it keeps the Y drive letter for several months at a time But other times the system treats it as a new drive and assigns drive letter J to it--in anywhere from a few days to several months after the previous time As I said it doesn't happen often enough to be a problem but I'm curious as to what causes it Anyone have any insights into this little puzzle

A:Changing External Hard Drive Letter

Look in your registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. That's where drive letter assignments are stored. Find \DosDevices\Y: on the left side and note the data value on the right. The next time it happens, check the same registry location but find \DosDevices\J: and see if the data value is the same as before. Also see if there's still an entry for \DosDevices\Y:.

(Option Two)
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/185199-changing-external-hard-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I am using 2 IOMEGA model LDHD250-U (250GB) usb connected drives for doing backups.
I connect one at a time, perform backups for a week and then switch the drives.

I was originally doing this with MAXTOR drives. I formatted them with the same drive names and the backup program would not know the difference.

With the 2 IOMEGA's I can't get them to use the same drive letter.

Where can I control/change the drive letter the drive gets assigned when I connect it.

Keep in mind only one of these drive are attached at a time....but I want them to have the same drive letter when they are attached.

Any knowlege of how to control this?

A:Controling the drive letter of an external USB harddrive

Sure. Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management.

You can set the drive letter there of anything but the boot drive.

Note that assigning the drive letter of an external drive writes a "hash" signature to the MBR of the drive, that's how Windows knows what drive letter it is. If you take it to another system and also assign the drive letter, it'll overwrite the signature and you'll lose the drive letter assignment on the first system.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/controling-the-drive-letter-of-an-external-usb-harddrive.521513/
Relevancy 82.13%

I have a USB3 external drive that I use for backups. It works A-OK. But every time I plug it in I have to use Disk Management to assign it a drive letter. Is there some driver or option in WIn7-64 I need to find/tweak?

A:Why must I assign a drive letter every time I use my external HDD?

How to assign specified drive letters to your USB hard drives using Windows 7 - YouTube

How to assign a drive letter permanently.
The system needs to keep track of the drives installed so they are allocated letters. Hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/315518-why-must-i-assign-drive-letter-every-time-i-use-my-external-hdd.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I ve seen a few problems identical to mine except the fix seemingly isn t allowed I m hoping for change letter) missing HDD drive External (can't some guidance I have a WD HDD from my previous desktop I m trying to access Win I bought an IDE USB adaptor and plugged it into my new desktop Vista All seems to be working disk spins up new hardware found External HDD missing (can't change drive letter) USB mass storage device ready but the drive doesn t show up in quot My Computer quot It does show up in both Device Manager and Disk Management In Disk Managment is shows up with no drive letter The previous fixes I have seen suggested changing the drive letter and that seemed to solve it That where my problem starts - right-clicking only gives me the option quot delete volume quot The quot change drive letter quot is there but grayed out and inaccessible I do have admin right under both OS s Any help would be appreciated Thank you nbsp

A:External HDD missing (can't change drive letter)

<Illegal suggestion for download>

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hdd-missing-cant-change-drive-letter.572623/
Relevancy 82.13%

I have a new gig external assignmeent external hard letter drive USB drive G free It installed and external hard drive letter assignmeent seems to work fine except My prior system had hard drives C and D cd reader drive E DVD cd RW drive F four-way card reader G H I J these came and went depending if card reader was left plugged to the PC The new external installed correctly as drive K and I succesfully backed up a zilllion photos After shutting down startup the drive assignments redefine as C and E Hard drives D as new external GIG free F as CD reader G as DVD CDR H as a second identical new external GIG free duplicates drive D The four way card reader is unplugged-ran out of USP plugs I have two problems The duplicate external drive assignment is obviously wrong but I cannot make it go away I cannot make a backup program work correctly since the drive assignment keeps changing How can I quot lock in quot the hard drive and CD assignments so the external drive doesn t jump in the middle of that alphabet I want the External drive to always be assigned some higher alpha letter so I can use it on different computers nbsp

Relevancy 81.27%

Hi

I have data on an external hdd which I would like to access from my laptop. I have a program that points to the data. My external hdd gets a different letter from xp at different times. It does not help assigning a new letter because I have to reboot for the letter change to take effect (or so it seems) and the drive letter can change on boot up. Is there a way that I can assign the external drive to have a permanent drive letter?

Thanks

Vivienne

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/assigning-permanent-drive-letter-to-external-harddrive.492405/
Relevancy 81.27%

I turned the computer on today and one of the external hard drives has changed from 'K' to 'L'. Two other external hard drives have not been affected. For some reason the 'K' drive has been allocated to the CD Drive (which was previously 'F').

So how can I get 'K' back to the external hard drive using the same path as before. It doesn't matter what the CD drive is called but getting it back to 'F' would be nice.

Thank you.

Relevancy 81.27%

I have Toshiba Satellite, in case that matters. I have drive C, D, E of course. I also have 2 external hard drives. G is for movies only. F is for backup. Anyway, yesterday I noticed that the letter F wasn't showing when I clicked on Computer. I went into Disk Management and tried to assign a letter but I saw 3 G letters. One was fine but the other two confused me. I tried to change each one but the letter F was missing. In frustration I deleted that drive. Well, now I can't get it back. What do I do? BTW, I see the two externals in Device Manager and I think I see one in MiniTool Partition but the drive in question is marked as Unallocated.
Can you help me? All my important backups are on there.

A:I Foolishly Deleted External Hard Drive Letter

Check this article.

http://superuser.com/questions/651755/recover-deleted-drive

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/600757/i-foolishly-deleted-external-hard-drive-letter/
Relevancy 80.84%

sir,

i have windows 7 desktop. there are some partition on it.but there is problem with these partition. All the three partition have the same drive letter.i attach a link showing the picture. all three partitions are dynamic , simple. if i open these drives only the contents of one drive are appeared. another two drive data are not shown in any manner.

i don't want to lose any data from any drive ......
please help me sir...
my windows is installed in c:\ drive which is also dynamic and there are no recent changes.only one change i did which is i shrink dynamic volume 50 GB from 206 GB and again mixed with 206 GB without allocating free space.

and only the c drive is on and d drive is off.but in my other desktop same configuration exist.
please help me...and please don't say change and remove drive letter...........waiting for response

A:changing one drive letter all 3 partitions change to that drive letter

First thing you're going to do is fill in the specs of the desktop whose snips you are showing us.

Then you're going to do the same with the second pc opening a second post with snips. Give it a different title like "Second pc with drive letters the same". Don't forget the snips.

You should not have dynamic disks in either machine. What did you do to accomplish this?

There exists a bevy of spectacular experts on this site that will be happy to help you. But give us ALL the info please.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/281527-changing-one-drive-letter-all-3-partitions-change-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I solved a similar problem in Win 7 by uninstalling an Advanced "6G" Storage Controller and letting Windows install its generic driver but I have no idea what to do in Win 10 because of the dumbed down way everything behind the scenes is displayed, which appears not to have anything remotely resembling such a thing.
Anyone else having similar issues? Or am I doomed with my now-almost-extinct 2009 Alienware machine?

A:W10 Recognizes My External SATA II Drive As SATA I - Why ?

Originally Posted by Ex_Brit

I solved a similar problem in Win 7 by uninstalling an Advanced "6G" Storage Controller and letting Windows install its generic driver but I have no idea what to do in Win 10 because of the dumbed down way everything behind the scenes is displayed, which appears not to have anything remotely resembling such a thing.
Anyone else having similar issues? Or am I doomed with my now-almost-extinct 2009 Alienware machine?

A few questions come to mind: is the drive plugged into a eSATA port on the computer and its cable rated as SATA II? Or is it in an External USB drive case that is plugged into a USB 2.0 port or maybe a USB 3.0 port?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/53036-w10-recognizes-my-external-sata-ii-drive-sata-i-why.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I just bought an external burner since the burner on my laptop is dying, but I can't get iTunes to use the external to burn. It can read the CD's that I put in to play/import but when I click on burn the laptop's drive pops open and iTunes asks me to insert the CD, even though I have a blank CD in the external.

Someone on another message board suggested assigning a fixed drive letter, but I have no idea how to do that on XP.

Any ideas?

A:Can't burn to my new external burner..assign a fixed drive letter?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-burn-to-my-new-external-burner-assign-a-fixed-drive-letter.468415/
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi My laptop is a Dell Latitude D running Windows Vista I ve bought a Freecom USB Hard Drive XS drive no HDD hard letter formatting, external now Cancelled disk TB Model Code SSYBBA which came FAT preformatted I wanted to reformat to use NTFS so I Cancelled external HDD hard disk formatting, now no drive letter plugged it in to my USB port Opening Windows Explorer the drive was picked up as G and I could view files on Cancelled external HDD hard disk formatting, now no drive letter there and copy and remove files so I knew the disk was working OK I started reformatting by right-clicking on the drive letter and selecting quot Format quot from the menu and select NTFS and kept the default settings After an hour I cancelled the formatting clicked Cancel and a message popped up asking me to confirm so I did Since doing this the drive is now no longer recognised and doesn t get a drive letter assigned I ve tried rebooting reconnecting and checking in Disk Management and it just doesn t appear although is powering up when the laptop starts Also Device Manager doesn t show it Screen shot of Disk Management attached Can you tell me how do I get the drive letter back to restart reformatting Thanks in advance for your help Alex nbsp

A:Cancelled external HDD hard disk formatting, now no drive letter

What options do you have when you right click on the drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cancelled-external-hdd-hard-disk-formatting-now-no-drive-letter.867184/
Relevancy 80.41%

I don't have details on what was done to change the drive letter, because I wasn't the one that did this. But here's an overview of the results:

The removable drive shows up in explorer with its new drive letter, however when you click on it, Windows (using Vista and 7) says that it must be formatted before use- checking the drive properties shows a wrong hard drive size.

I'm thinking there are 2 ways of resolving the situation:

1. getting an outside program that will access the drive and allow me to copy the files to a different drive (then formatting the removable drive) or
2.somehow getting Windows to recognize the files on the removable drive.

If anyone knows what software I can use to access and copy the files on the drive or how to get Windows to recognize the drive that it used to recognize normally, I'd appreciate it.

A:Changed drive letter on external HD, now Windows doesn't recognize it

Have you tried removing power from the external drive for 15 minutes, then try it again?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changed-drive-letter-on-external-hd-now-windows-doesnt-recognize-it.923804/
Relevancy 79.98%

A few days ago, I installed a game on my external hard drive. At the time, the hard drive was assigned the "F:" directory. They other day, I plugged a video camera into my computer before the external hard drive making the camera "F:" and the hard drive "G:".

The game won't work while the hard drive is assigned to "G:". I've removed the camera, there are no other USB devices plugged in (except my mouse which doesn't have any storage capacity) but still when I plug in the hard drive, it goes back to "G:".

I've tried plugging it into different sockets, logging off the computer, restarting the computer, but still, it goes back to "G:".

Why is this happening and how can I get it back to "F:"?

Thanks.

A:Solved: Can't get external hard drive to be assigned to "F:"

Never mind, I've got it working.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-get-external-hard-drive-to-be-assigned-to-f.915985/
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi everyone,

I have a PC running Vista Ultimate x64 and I just installed a 1Tb external hard disk (an eSATA/USB 2.0 combo) Through USB.

The problem is that the OS doesn't assign any drive letter to the external disk.

I tried to reinstall but it doesn't work at all.

In Disk management, choosing to "initialize" the disk, I selected the MBR partitioning style...but it returns an "invalid function" error message.

How can I fix this problem?

The system reads that there is a disk but it doesnt' recognize it and it doesnt assign any drive letter.

A:Vista Ultimate x64 - External hard disk doesn't receive drive letter

Did you format it ? ?

Many drives ship unformatted...

TIP: If you want it to keep the same drive letter even when USB devices are added ( handy for all sorts of reasons ) once it's formatted select a drive letter that's not currently in use and assign it....next give it a Volume name.

This also works with thumb drives as well...

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/262114-vista-ultimate-x64-external-hard-disk-doesnt-receive-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I have just bought a SATA external drive and can't get it to work I have standard ATA system will that be my problem, the computer has Windows XP version 3 installed please help

A:Solved: Sata External Drive

Not if you are using a USB connection.

However according to the standard specification a USB connection point at the computer can supply a maximum of 0.5 Amp which is not enough for many older 2.5" laptop size hard disk, let alone the desktop size 3.5" hard disk.

You need an external power supply or use a twin head USB cable (by hooking to 2 USB port to get 1 Amp current supply).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-sata-external-drive.858229/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hey XP SATA external does not drive recognize all At the moment I am using a very old pc don t ask The mobo is an Intel D GGC It is very slow tho maxed out on RAM but it works I have a hard drive salvaged from a previous pc which I had working via SATA cables usb I decided to buy a caddy shoved hdd in and upon connecting it light comes on disk hums get the usual quot ding dong quot sound and quot found new drive drive ready to be used quot comes up However XP does not recognize external SATA drive the drive doesn t show up under My Computer nor in Disk Management I can find it as a mass storage device under usb in Device Manager tho I have uninstalled and reinstalled it checked with Tweak XP does not recognize external SATA drive UI and all possible drive combinations are ticked scanned for hardware changes I should say this is a powered quot SATA enclosure The drive has my entire music collection on it and is gb I really could do with your help before it and pc fly through the window Many thanks nbsp

A:XP does not recognize external SATA drive

install Tweak UI and then...

click on My Computer, Drives,and check marking Drive F.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/find-your-missing-usb-drive-on-windows-xp/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-does-not-recognize-external-sata-drive.176239/
Relevancy 76.97%

I am considering using an external SATA drive for my system as a backup.
Any pros or cons for going external that I should consider and for the enclosure any models/makes that would be good buys based on quality and reliability.
Thanks

Relevancy 76.97%

With XP MCE SP2 using a Western Digital SATA hard drive in a external enclosure, which has both USB and eSATA connections, can the sata connection plug be hot swapped just like USB, or do I need to turn off the external drive first, then disconnect it?

A:e-sata with external hard drive

Everything I've read and heard says its hot-swappable just like USB but if you have the time, its prudent to power down if you're moving the hard drive in the least because you could bump something or jostle it enough to cause some damage in its most vulnerable state. Even the USB drives get the safely remove hardware option that probably should be ahered to but few do I suspect.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/e-sata-with-external-hard-drive.692073/
Relevancy 76.97%

I ve been searching around for a way to turn off my external e-SATA e-SATA turn How to external off drive? drive instead of having to shut down my computer every time In my search I read in another forum one member who suggested quot With my Win installation I went to the JMicron site and downloaded the appropriate How to turn off external e-SATA drive? driver installer package executed it and it found the controller and installed the drivers The eSATA controller now shows up on Device Manager as How to turn off external e-SATA drive? a JMicron JMB X Controller under quot Storage Controllers quot and performs hotswap properly automatically recognizing any eSATA disks that are plugged in or removed quot Well I installed the JMicron file just like he said and now I see it in Device Manager but I m still no closer to figuring out how to shut down my external e-SATA drive I m curious how this controller performs hot-swap I haven t been able to figure it out I also took the advice of someone else on another forum and used Disk Management to turn my external drive into a Dynamic Drive I m not sure if this was a good idea or not because now the drive runs all the time and is very warm to the touch Before I did this the drive didn t run constantly Now I have no idea how to undo it Unfortunately this didn t enable me to make it unpluggable either So my question is how do I enable this external drive to appear in the taskbar so I can shut it down I thought the JMicron thing would do it but so far I haven t been able to figure out how Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 76.97%

I have an old EIDE Seagate drive I would like to use as an external USB backup. I have an external USB connector for the Seagate drive. If I connect the Seagate drive via USB, will the drive work without causing data loss to the internal SATA drives? Thank you in advance for your replies.

Relevancy 76.97%

I recently bought a Seagate SATA GB hard drive Veris by Antec MX- HDD Enclosure with USB connection but I am having problems connecting to my Windows XP SP The computer recognizes to some extent that it has been connected it shows up in Computer Management gt Devices gt USB Mass Storage Device and Computer Management gt Disk Management but it does not show up in My Computer and I cannot save any data on it I have seen people on other threads with the same problem and the answer is usually that it needs to be partitioned However I was under the impression that partitioning a device made drive: external SATA partitions? it very reliant on the operating system or vice versa Rather than having these gigs as a quot second hard drive quot as I ve seen others call it I d rather have it as quot Removable Storage quot - like a big clunky USB flash drive I want to be able to remove it and use it on other computers whenever I need to just like I can with my more compact -inch flash drives If possible I would also love to figure out how to make it work on a Macbook I had been hoping that it was as simple as SATA external drive: partitions? having compatible files I ll only be putting mp jpg gif and possibly mpg files on this drive but I m sure it s not that easy Thank you so much nbsp

A:SATA external drive: partitions?

Not quite that easy. Different OS's have different file system reading abilities and differing file systems, regardless of the file types.

There are programs available for Windows that allows it to read Mac file systems. Probably vice versa as well.

Partitioning is required before any drive can be used by any operating system. Without the "invisible lines' that file systems and partitions create on a drive, there is no way for the operating system to locate the contents of the drive.

You'll need to make some decision. FAT32 is probably the most compatible file system in use, but it is not universal for all OS's.

These sites give some info on cross-platform drive solutions:

http://www.macwindows.com/disks2.html
http://www.macworld.com/2006/07/features/ww_drives/index.php

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-external-drive-partitions.589782/
Relevancy 76.11%

everything seems to be installed correctly but the device is not listed anywhere on my pc. i had a friend remotely access my pc to see what was going on and not even he knows. computer says its functioning properly but its lying to me i cant access it at all. the driver disk that came with the external case was a mini disk and the computer wont read it. regardless its working correctly but not found
please help

A:Sata To Usb External Hard Drive Not Working

There's many things that can cause this problem. But the most likely problem is that the hard drive is dead.

Other problems could be:
- the case is broken/defective
- the computer does not recognize the device
- the computer has assigned the wrong drive letter to the hard drive

Does the drive show in Disk Management? If not, then I'd highly suspect that the drive is dead. You'll have to reinstall the drive in a computer and then run a bootable diagnostic to test it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/138862/sata-to-usb-external-hard-drive-not-working/
Relevancy 76.11%

Does anyone know where I can find an external SATA hard drive case with SATA internal connection and USB and SATA external and if possible, firewire external connection. I have a SATA hard drive and would like to make it portable but would like to keep the SATA speeds when possible.

Thanks!

Relevancy 76.11%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Pentium R CPU G GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb drive HDD SATA internal Connecting external as Graphics Card Intel R HD Graphics Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc XFWHV Antivirus AVG AntiVirus Free Edition Updated and Enabled I am trying Connecting internal SATA HDD as external drive to connect an internal SATA HDD as an external drive for use as a backup medium for my system To connect the HDD I am using a cable-set consisting of a power-adapter a cable adapter quot long -pin to SATA power fitting two-sided femaile receptacle and ribbon-cable data fitting with a shielded UBS cable attached quot ribbon-cable With no power on I connect the power-adapter and assorted cables and adapters to V AC power and to a USB port of my computer and to the SATA HDD Everything seems to fit mechanically I apply power to the computer and to the assembled SATA HDD components The computer starts normally but I do not notice any vibration stirring whirring of the SATA HDD Also when the computer is full booted and I look at My Computer with Windows Explorer I find that it does not recognize the presence of anything at a USB port particularly not my SATA HDD I have tried fully booting the computer and connecting the HDD to the USB port afterwards as I might a memory stick but it is not recognized and perhaps more significantly the HDD s motor cannot be heard nor felt What do I know I know that the power-adapter works I know that when I connect another internal HDD which is an IDE type using just the power-adapter and the shielded multi-receptacle USB cable all works well The only connection differences with the SATA drive are the need to use the short -pin adapter cable and the short ribbon cable What is the problem anyone nbsp