Windows Support Forum

Will this PSU fit my Dell Studio XPS 8100?

Q: Will this PSU fit my Dell Studio XPS 8100?

I need a new PSU for my desktop since the one that i currently have is only 350 watts and it makes really annoying fan noise.
You think this is a good deal and will it fit my computer?
500W Power Supply fo Dell Studio XPS 8000/8100 K159T PC | eBay
If you guys have any other suggestions feel free.
And sorry if this isn't in the right topic.
Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Will this PSU fit my Dell Studio XPS 8100?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Will this PSU fit my Dell Studio XPS 8100?

It may "fit", but that doesn't mean anything.

At one time, most Dells used a proprietary wiring setup on their power supplies. For those PCs, you could NOT simply change to an industry-standard ATX power supply.

Dell has largely moved away from that practice, but a Google search implies that some Dells (possibly including the XPS 8100) still use proprietary wiring on PSUs. I couldn't quickly find definitive information.

So you may still need a "special" PSU for that PC and that may be what the Ebay dealer is selling.

But even then I wouldn't buy the PSU you linked. It's a no-name brand and you have no way of evaluating it nor do you know anything about its noise level (which I guess is one of your complaints).

I would:

1: Google to try to find definitive info on whether or not you need a "special" PSU for your PC.
2: If you do, I would then buy a standard ATX PSU along with a connection adapter designed to allow use of a standard ATX PSU in this particular Dell. The adapters are widely available for about $15. Endpcnoise.com is one source for the adapter--among others.

I'd get a Seasonic or Corsair PSU that are known to have low noise levels. You may have to spend a bit more money.

On the other hand, you may find that your PC can use a standard PSU---in which case you would not need the adapter.

At any rate, I would not buy that Ebay PSU regardless. Go somewhere like Newegg as a source.

I'd also measure the existing PSU and make sure there are no space/clearance issues should you go with a standard PSU. For all I know, the Dell cases are very cramped or they may have even used a non-standard size as well as non-standard wiring.

You might contact forum member "Fireberd" about this. He has a lot of Dell experience and provides support on Dell forums.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/187548-will-psu-fit-my-dell-studio-xps-8100-a.html
Relevancy 88.15%

My wife s Studio XPS Desktop manufactured has been crashing starting with a flickering screen nbsp The screen goes blank with a whitish-beige color and is unresponsive nbsp She turns it off and on and it still stays asleep nbsp Holding the power start button XPS Dell Studio Desktop 8100 down for seconds used to work for a while but she no longer can recover her machine from a quot deep sleep quot nbsp While booting the computer makes a loud humming noise that is not Dell Studio XPS 8100 Desktop present when it boots normally Dell Studio XPS 8100 Desktop nbsp This was happening under Windows Professional OS and has continued under Windows OS nbsp Before under Win OS the hard drive began to get slower and slower to the point I was afraid it was failing and I replaced it along with updating drivers nbsp specified by Dell see previous posts nbsp There was nothing available for the video card to update I read in the community forum that disabling turning off the monitor sleep state as well as the computer sleep state was a solution nbsp That seems to work as long as she never turns the machine off nbsp If the machine is turned off as stated in the first paragraph it takes more and more second cycles to get it to boot normally Is there a solution for this problem nbsp What should I do next Thanks Creech Newsome

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19984806
Relevancy 87.29%

Hi,
I would like to replace my computer PSU with a Seasonic G-650. I have a doubt about its dimensions which are : 8,6 x 15 x 16 cm, instead of the original 8,6 x 14 x 15.
Does anybody can tell me if the Seasonic G-650 can fit with any trouble ?
Thanks,

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19990183
Relevancy 87.29%

Hello I've been getting these crashes from time to time beginning the day after I received my new Dell PC They seem to happen when I'm watching videos on the web or playing games although that could be a coincidence as I do a lot of both those things I spoke to Dell support today but I'm not totally confident in Dell BSOD XPS 8100 Occasional on Studio the resolution they Occasional BSOD on Dell Studio XPS 8100 gave me which was to reinstall windows after they send me my drivers disk but from what I understand Bluescreens caused by ntoskrnl exe are hardware-related Basic information - x -bit or x x Home Premium - the original installed OS on the system Original - an OEM or full retail version OEM - What is the age of system hardware weeks old refurbished - What is the age of OS installation weeks original installation Thank you for any help you can provide I'll be monitoring the thread to answer any questions you helpful folks might have

A:Occasional BSOD on Dell Studio XPS 8100

Dumps blame a hardware error triggered by win32k.sys, you have probably a defective RAM or GPU
Stop 0x124 - what it means and what to try
RAM - Test with Memtest86+

Code:
BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa800661d028, fa000000, 400405}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Probably caused by : hardware

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/146040-occasional-bsod-dell-studio-xps-8100-a.html
Relevancy 86.43%

Hi,
I have a 6 year old Dell Studio XPS 8100 that keeps switching off the screen randomly & won't switch back on again without resetting from the power button on the hard-drive. Also every so often I'm getting 6 beep codes and an orange light on the hard-drive when I try to switch it back on again. Pretty certain it needs a new video card but just not sure which one to buy. Any suggestions please?
My current Video card is a 1792mb NVIDIA GeForce GT. I don't need anything fancy, just something to run programs for a home business, and occasionally the kids use it for their games like Minecraft etc..). The card I have now was handling everything perfectly before this happened. Thanks in advance.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19978647
Relevancy 86.43%

I just discovered that Dell has decided not to include my Studio XPS 8100 desktop for upgrades to Windows 10!  Why is this?  I have had Dell products for over 25 years and I have kept coming back because of my experience with Dell.  Unfortunately, this latest piece of news has just taken the wind out of my sails!  It appears that my only recourse is to by a new desktop!

A:Studio XPS 8100 = Why won't Dell support Windows 10 for this model?

The offer of a free upgrade from Win7/8.x to 10 comes from Microsoft, not DeLL.
Are you saying that DeLL has advised you that something in that system's hardware [software, or drivers] setup in not compatible with Win 10?   That's the only plausible explanation that comes to mind.
EDIT:   I believe some people have done so successfully... and hopefully one of them will reply here.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3522/t/19667087
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi.
I am trying to do a clean install of windows 7 on a Dell xps studio 8100 but nothing is working. When the install has been successful, the computer boots and runs extremely slow. So slow that if I try to install the drivers that came with the machine the computer will just crash. Whenever I boot the all of the applications freeze (Not responding). often once the computer crashes windows fails to start if I try to turn the computer back on again and i have to reinstall. The HDD is a western digital Blue caviar. Please help/tell me what other info you guys need, I have literally spent the last week of my life outside of school attempting to install windows on this computer.

A:Clean Install MAJOR difficulties. Dell XPS Studio 8100

What's the exact "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on that Dell XPS 8100 desktop?

Did you install Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit, and does it contain Service Pack 1?

Did that Windows 7 disc and drivers disc both originally come with that desktop?

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/clean-install-major-difficulties-dell-xps-studio-8100.1171674/
Relevancy 84.71%

Hey my dad bought me a Dell Studio XPS 8100 with windows 7 and when ever I login the screen gets all glitchy and stuff jumps around and idk how to fix it....Does anyone else have this problem? And if so can anyone fix it? Also, I don't know if this has anything to do with this or not but when i first started the computer it had two .exe files crash while installing windows. The .exes were called sprtstart64.exe and i cant remeber the last one completely but it also ended with start64.exe and I've already tried updateing the video driver, changing to a different monitor, and using the system recovery disk and nothing has worked so far so if anyone can fix this please help.

A:Glitchy screen on Windows 7 Dell studio XPS 8100 (desktop computer)

Did you update the drivers using those from Dell, or another site?

Which Windows 7? 32 or 64 bit?
RIGHT click "computer".
left click "properties".

Is the computer new or pre owned / used / refurbished?

Did the problem begin right out of the box?

Have you contacted Dell? This system might be under warranty.

What happens if you boot directly to safe mode?

Edit:
Is this your system?
http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/studio-xps-8100/pd.aspx?refid=studio-xps-8100&cs=19&s=dhs

RF123

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/glitchy-screen-on-windows-7-dell-studio-xps-8100-desktop-computer.936046/
Relevancy 77.4%

Hello,
My Dell Studio XPS 8100 desktop restarted after a blue screen error and now won't boot.
These are two screens I'm presented with when I switch on the computer.
I'm able to enter the different options offered to me, I've run the diagnostics including the extended memory tests but it couldn't find any problems.
I've seen a few threads with similar problems but there seem to be so many different approaches and causes, I didn't want to do or replace the wrong thing.
Any help will be vastly appreciated!
Many thanks.

A:Dell Studio XPS 8100 - "No boot device available"

You must run the Custom Extended Hard drive tests, not memory tests. My guess is your hard drive has failed.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19986056
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello nbsp I have a studio xps Intel R Core TM i CPU GHz GB ram and it is awesome when it is working nbsp Last week I was out of not Studio start XPS 8100 will town and when Studio XPS 8100 will not start I came back it would not start up nbsp I can turn it on and the fans start up but it doesn t pass POST and so doesn t boot nbsp I tested the ram and it seemed ok two beeps when tried to boot up without ram no beeps when ram is properly placed nbsp The original graphics card died last year and I had replaced it with an EVGA Geforce GTX which I chose because it was one of the few cards that could work with the w psu that came with the computer nbsp I thought that maybe the psu was failing so replaced it with a w psu but the problem persists nbsp I then read somewhere that if you are having date time snyc problems which I was when the computer could turn on that you need to replace the battery on the motherboard so I did that and still won t start nbsp I m not sure what else I can do is the motherboard dead nbsp I ve tried the drain the power trick holding down power button while unplugged for seconds and that hasn t worked either

A:Studio XPS 8100 will not start

Did you press/hold the power button for ~15 sec after unplugging the PC and again for ~30 sec after you removed the motherboard battery, before reinstalling the battery?
Are you sure the new battery is good and installed correctly?
What color is power button and is it steady or blinking?
Do you see anything on the monitor?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19984578
Relevancy 68.8%

I have a studio xps 8100. The cpu fan started reving up to around 3000 rpms then back to 300 rpms around every 8 seconds. There is no fan setting in my bios and I have the latest BIOS update. I have blown out all the dust. I switched fans with my wifes computer and it still does it so its not the fan itself.  I installed speedfan it is shows no settings for fan speeds, It does say my cpu cores are running around 40 to 50 degrees celcius and the graph for fan1 goes up and down from 300 to over 3000 rpm. Any ideas on what the problem is and how I can fix it? Will the fan slowing to 300 rpm damage my cpu? Appreciate any help I get. Thanks.

A:Studio xps 8100 fan speed

@MJAyr - I sent you a msg.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19618383
Relevancy 67.94%

Good day,
Need support with a driver ethernet I have searched your Download Center and I could not find , I install it on my computer Studio XPS 8100 (which can not connect to the internet) because they do not possess such a controller , I searched on the website without encontralo , my O.S. is Windows 7 64-bit .
Thank you very much for your time and attention.
Regards

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19982716
Relevancy 67.94%

Dell says I can't do it, but some people here say they are doing it.  Can it be done?  How (drivers>?)

A:Running Win10 on a Studio XPX 8100

The XPS 8100 is not officially supported for Windows 10, but that doesn't mean it is not Windows 10-compatible. Drivers should be available through Windows Catalog.
The Win 10 upgrade can be applied through Windows Update. If there are any missing drivers, they can usually be found via right-clicking on the device in Device Manager and selecting 'Update Driver.' If not, they can usually be found on the vendor's site.
I have uploaded several old Dells to Windows 10, including an 11-year-old Dimension 3100, and the needed drivers were available through the means I suggested.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19986593
Relevancy 67.51%

Replaced my HDD and after re-installing Win 7 Pro 64 from DVD, I'm unable to connect to my Comcast Cable Modem via Cat 5 cabling - 2 different runs.  The one error I get is "Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter.  If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver."  As far as I can tell I do not have a network adapter nor can I find any such drivers for this computer.  Before the re-install of HDD and Win 7, the little icon in the bottom right tray was red-xed out, but I was still connecting to the internet.  
Even tried starting in Safe Mode with Networking, still no connection.  The only thing loaded on the computer is the OS.
Thanks in advance, for any insight!

A:Studio XPS 8100 Internet Connectivity Problem

Whether you're trying to connect to your modem wired or wirelessly, you need a driver for the network adapter(s).
For the onboard Ethernet (wired) you need this driver.
Depending on which WiFi card you have (assuming you have one), it could be either this one or this one. Check your system config paperwork to find out which one you need or use your Service Tag on the Support page to find the right drivers,  though it sometimes misses some drivers when you search by Service Tag.
And, you should have installed the two Intel chipset drivers, here and then here, as the first two drivers installed after loading Win 7. Without the chipset drivers, other drivers may not install or may not work.
Other drivers you need are for video, audio, and Intel Rapid Storage Technology

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19976522
Relevancy 67.51%

I'm attempting to replace the CPU heatsink/fan in my Studio XPS 8100 desktop, using a Dell model 0TJ5T2 (http://i.imgur.com/NMu2wYk.jpg is my actual unit).  The Amazon seller I ordered it from listed it as compatible with XPS 8100 (www.amazon.com/.../B008B9MUJ6;redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00), but I'm having an extremely difficult time installing the new fan.  The screws on the fan line up with the holes on the motherboard; but when I push down firmly on one of their heads/springs, the screw doesn't go deep enough to actually catch on anything (and the pressure usually ends up causing the heatsink to slide away from the CPU).  Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this model fan not actually compatible with the 8100?

A:Issues replacing CPU heatsink/fan in Studio XPS 8100

There is a threaded X on the bottom of the motherboard that the heatsink screws into.
If its not the same threads then its not going in.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19676774
Relevancy 67.51%

I Windows Studio Peezy Easy XPS 10, to 8100 just Studio XPS 8100 to Windows 10, Easy Peezy did a clean install Studio XPS 8100 to Windows 10, Easy Peezy of Windows on my ancient but still fabulous Studio XPS It was no trouble at all and everything works great Dell doesn t support Windows on this computer of course but so what Dell doesn t support Windows on the either and I had no problem installing that Not supported only means that you have to do the research and testing on your own I wouldn t recommend this to anyone unless you know how to make a backup of your hard drive - an image That way if something goes wrong you can easily go back in time to the way things were I don t really like Windows the way it is now but I wanted to get my computer activated with Windows before the July deadline for free activation After Windows was installed and activated I installed all required drivers made a few basic configuration changes and then ran Windows Update Once all this was done I made an image backup of my Windows installation then I restored an image of my Windows installation Now I m back at Windows like nothing happened and I have a fully installed and activated image of Windows that I can restore any time I m ready for Windows

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19983387
Relevancy 66.65%

I have had my XPS since and have updated the gpu twice now its aEvga FTW gtx psu Thermaltake w and did the free Win upgrade This has been a great desktop for me even though I would do a seperate component build if I had it to do over again knowing what I know now cause I as Win keep XPS add and main 8100 running to 10 drive SSD now but HDD storage? for want Studio am limited to sata and legacy bios Anyway I finally got a SSD bought a PNY GB and I have a few bugs with the Win previews so its time for a clean install anyway I just have a couple questions about the Studio XPS 8100 running Win 10 and now want to add SSD as main drive but keep HDD for storage? SSD install What sata port should I move the old HDD to should I move Studio XPS 8100 running Win 10 and now want to add SSD as main drive but keep HDD for storage? the cd dvd drive to port or just use port for old HDD Also i want to keep all the media and some program game data if possible so can i just delete Windows folder nbsp program files and etc What do you recommend Finally is there any settings or special drivers I ll need to get the most out of the new SSD Any advice would be great It came with a single WD Black Cav rpm tb but bios is set for RAID not ATA should I leave that alone or change to ATA Like I said first SSD install so just point me in the correct direction I plugged it into the sata port just to make sure it would show up and it did as unallocated drive so I think I can just swap it to port and boot from usb to install right Thanks for any help or advice

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19986689
Relevancy 66.65%

Looking for recommendations for a good replacement PSU for my Studio XPS 8100 that will easily fit in the case and be more robust than the stock 350 watt PSU which is beginning to act flaky. This PC is Windows 10, Intel i7, 2.93 GHz, not used for gaming- just general office use.
Any sugesstions will be appreciated!

A:Studio XPS 8100 Good Replacement Power Supply?

Looking at Corsair CX Series, either 430 or 500 watts. Thoughts?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19992684
Relevancy 65.79%

I have a year-old the anniversary of its first boot is Christmas Dell Studio XPS I need XP Mode but when I install pretty much any virtual software besides Virtualbox and maybe VMWare Player the PC will BSOD on its next boot or card 8100 related XPS NDIS.sys BSOD to Studio network on possibly immediately after the modification has taken place This has happened on several occasions I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver - the BSOD happens when the Atheros installer replaces the driver The BSOD will always be a quot driver IRQL not less or equal quot error related to quot ndis sys quot I NDIS.sys BSOD on Studio XPS 8100 related to network card can't find a newer driver for my card The network card is a wifi card - my house is new and does not have any Ethernet jacks that I can find Even behind my router which is near my dad's PC i cant see one - so maybe I just can't see it because the desk is too close the wall Anyways I really need help Wifi Card - DW n WLAN PCIe Card CPU - Intel core i Os- Win Pro bit genuine Regards GigaG

A:NDIS.sys BSOD on Studio XPS 8100 related to network card

Quote: Originally Posted by GigaG

I have a year-old (the anniversary of its first boot is Christmas) Dell Studio XPS 8100. I need XP Mode, but when I install pretty much any virtual software besides Virtualbox and maybe VMWare Player, the PC will BSOD on its next boot, or possibly immediately after the modification has taken place. This has happened on several occasions. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver - the BSOD happens when the Atheros installer replaces the driver. The BSOD will always be a "driver IRQL not less or equal" error related to "ndis.sys" I can't find a newer driver for my card. The network card is a wifi card - my house is new and does not have any Ethernet jacks that I can find. Even behind my router (which is near my dad's PC) i cant see one - so maybe I just can't see it because the desk is too close the wall? Anyways, I really need help.

Wifi Card - DW1525 (802.11n) WLAN PCIe Card
CPU - Intel core i5 650
Os- Win7 Pro 64 bit genuine

Regards,
GigaG

We do need the DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.

You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.

To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.

The procedure:

Quote:
* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
* Zip up the copy.
* Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.
*If the files are too large please upload them to a file sharing service like "Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.

To ensure minidumps are enabled:

Quote:
* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
* Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
* Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
* Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
* Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
* OK your way out.
* Reboot if changes have been made.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/202660-ndis-sys-bsod-studio-xps-8100-related-network-card.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I'm not that computer savvy but could replace a video card if required I have had Dell replace the current card about four times but it is now out of warranty and want to put something new in not a refurbished model It is a Computer Model Studio XPS BIOS Vendor Dell Inc New Studio 2009) needed (Late XPS Card Video 8100 BIOS Version A BIOS Date OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Manufacturer Intel R Core TM i CPU GHz Clock Speed Ghz L Cache Size DVD CD-ROM Drives HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH N TSSTcorp DVD -RW TS-H G Display Adapters ATI Radeon HD Sound Devices AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio Logitech Mic Ultra Vision Intel R Display Audio USB Controllers Intel R Series Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - B Intel R Series Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - B C I would like to know of an upgrade or suitable replacement video card The current Studio XPS 8100 (Late 2009) New Video Card needed one is making some seriously bad noises consistent with the noises which occurred prior to previous cards giving up Thanks in advance

A:Studio XPS 8100 (Late 2009) New Video Card needed

Hi, welcome to the forum

what is your budget? you most likely will need a new power supply also. it's possible the power supply you have in their might be the cause of the video cards to fail.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/355734-studio-xps-8100-late-2009-new-video-card-needed.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Dear All I upgraded graphics card on my Dell XPS studio from NVidia driver Studio XPS GTX on 960 screen causes 8100: GeForce« black start-up windows Geforce which came with the machine to a more powerful ASUS Turbo GeForce reg GTX At first all worked fine However recently I had to completely reinstall Windows on my machine due to a major crash Barracuda HDD nbsp totally gave way I purchased a new HDD obtained a Win installation disk from Dell and was able to restore my system I am still unable to make the GeForce GTX work however It works with Standard Windows XPS Studio 8100: GeForce« GTX 960 driver causes black screen on windows start-up driver but any version of NVidia driver that I try to install causes the black screen during Windows boot right after presenting Windows logo nbsp The system does boot in safe mode and rollback of the Video driver restores status quo I googled the problem and most people connect it with an on-board Intel graphics adapter not being properly disabled and causing conflict with the Asus graphics card I checked the Windows Device Manager and BIOS Advanced XPS Studio 8100: GeForce« GTX 960 driver causes black screen on windows start-up settings but none of them shows an on-board graphics card installed and as far as I know I never ordered one with my system so it makes sense This means the pro problem must lie elsewhere Would be very grateful for your help Thank you very much in advance Dmitry

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19681488
Relevancy 59.77%

Well 8100 Dell i have had this computer for about years and have had many problems but i have come over then all but now i seem to have reached a place i cannot fix I have a Dell and i recently took some thing out and just dusted them off because of all the dust on them and now when i start up the computer it does not seem to want to do anything it turns on and the light is orange and the like loading thing right under the power is just staying on for about sec and then turns off It will open the cd drives and when i put a cd in it will show it as reading it but when i plug in a moniter or mouse or keyboard nothing happens I did take off the green thing inside the computer by the cpu But Dell 8100 the things i took of to dust are the cpu thing on top of the cpu cpu fan and some thing next to the cpu i did not know what this part was so i looked up the model on the dell site and it said quot this product does not exsit quot i also went to the site that makes the part and they do now have it either but here is a pic of the inside of a comp that looks the same as mine except for the graphics card which is better then mine in the pic i circled the things i took out of my comp Does anyone know how i can fix this or why this happend nbsp

A:Dell 8100

LOL. I had a giggle at your description of all the "things" you took off

My guess is, you removed the heatsink attached to the CPU and broke the seal for the thermal pad. Now your CPU can not effectively transfer its' heat to the heatsink/fan and it is overheating, causing the system to shut itself off before any damage happens.

Did you remove the heatsink from the CPU? The heastink is the grey part under the black fan in this picture:

If you did, then you'll need to clean off the old thermal pad and apply some new thermal paste. I wouldn't recommend trying to turn on your computer again until you have done this.

Good luck!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-8100.46975/
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a dell laptop that I would like to 8100 dell use to surf and use for files This dell 8100 was a gift and I am not sure of its capabilities It may need up grading or somrthing anyways here the cofiquration info cn anyone tell me if it fast enough for today s websurfing reguirements I download pictures and music C INSR Blank PCMCIA CP CPX D Pipe Height Processor Pong Adds Cohiba E Processor PIII TUL G K UPGA H Battery W V Direct Ship Sony Y Keyboard United States L United States D SUBASSY LCD HIT V L K Assembly Base Bottom I K Compal Version D Cord Power Volt F AC Wire Prong US TVD Assembly Cable S-Video West U Adapter AC External V W WBA RVJ DIMM M X K G KIT DOC DSK SW-DVD IVI D Kit Speaker MG NMB DAO J Subassy CD Read Write X KME Hardware Compatibility Testing F Modem V Internal NIC MPCI COM V K Card Graphics M P NV Electro Magnetic Interface K Kit Software WKS-STE K F OEM English K Kit Software Overpack WXPH CDWD English A HD Subassembly Digital Video DiskDrive X Internal Large Inspiron E Hard Drive GB I F MM IBM-DB CVX Assembly CARR Hard Drive L R Connector Header X F Short Gold K Third Height CS C Assembly Floppy Drive MB Inch Form Factor Controller No Cable Sony Notebook Thanks te n o nbsp

A:dell 8100

i'd add a bit more ram,
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/mfrmod.asp?root=us&LinkBack=http://www.kingston.com
and make sure to install sp4,
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...c6-2a5a-4399-ad3d-4a97a25f41d9&displaylang=en
this was a review of it,
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/3084/review/inspiron_8100.html
a net search did say some of those models over-heated,
so make sure where-ever you set it,
it doesn't have any of the ventilation holes blocked,
and don't let anyone convince you to try xp on it,
probably slow it to a crawl,
w2k is a very good os,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-8100.799198/
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a dell 8100 that needs a hard drive. I would like some suggestions for the best upgraded replacement.
any help would be gratefully appreciated.

grounds

A:dell 8100

This is what Dell offers:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...&cs=19&ModelSelection=117917&category_id=5694

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/...e?c=us&cs=19&l=en&ModelSelection=117917&s=dhs

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-8100.78039/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello, ive just buyed a XPS 8100 for about 4 days ago i was moniotoring the temps when idle and when playing Need For Speed World

You can se the temps here, the picture was shot after playing Need For Speed World for 20min:

Is the temps normal, thanks ??????????

A:Is my Dell XPS 8100 temps ok??

HELLO, plz is anybody there.
plzz, answer

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/is-my-dell-xps-8100-temps-ok-517725.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I have a couple questions about a Dell Dimension 8100. I know nothing about Dell because I build my own systems.

My friend bought a Dell 8100 a couple years ago. It came with Windows 98 so he replaced 98 with XP Pro. We both assume that the USB ports are USB 1, not USB 2.0, so he wants to install a USB 2.0 card and hub, along with some USB 2.0 peripherals. The specifications on the USB 2.0 card at Walmart, says to install it into a PCI 2.1 slot. I know what a PCI slot is, of course, but what is a PCI 2.1 slot? Does a Dell 8100 have PCI 2.1 slots or just plain PCI slots? Do I have to do any more than install a USB 2.0 card to make this 8100 USB 2.0 capable? Thanks in advance for all replies. Bill

Relevancy 58.91%

thank you in advance for the support.

OS - Vista/ Windows 7 ? windows 7
? x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? x64
? What was original installed OS on system? windows 7
? Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? yes
? Age of system (hardware) built early december 2010
? Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? no
? CPU - intel i5 760
? Video Card - ati hd 5670
? MotherBoard - not sure where to find this information, ive checked on dell's website.
? Power Supply - brand & wattage - i cannot find this neither.

A:dell xps 8100 bsod help please

ok, i pretty much found out what causes the bsod...
everytime my computer tries to turn off the screen to save power, it would cause the error. i have since turned off that option under power settings, and no bsods yet! however, if there is a better solution i would greatly appreciate it!

charlie

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/dell-xps-8100-bsod-help-please-539308.html
Relevancy 58.91%

When I try to boot my laptop this is the message I get

primary hard disk drive not found, & fixed optical drive not found, no bootable devices

A:Dell Inspiron 8100

Have you dropped it recently?

Have you tried it with your XP CD in the CD drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-8100.822321/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello there I currently own a Dell XPS and am in the process of upgrading the systems Power Supply Unit as well as the Graphics Card I have never done this before but am very familiar with computers and have been researching a lot about the endeavor With that said I have ordered Radeon HD GB DDR PCIE Graphics Card and well as an 8100 Upgrading Dell my XPS Ultra LSP -Watt Power Supply I was hoping someone could tell me if I m doing anything wrong with my component selection I researched them quite thoroughly already but I must admit am worried about somehow frying my motherboard or damaging my system beyond repair If you need any additional details my system specs are linked below as well as the graphic card specs with the PSU Thanks in advance Rob Upgrading my Dell XPS 8100 Dell XPS System http configure dell com Upgrading my Dell XPS 8100 dellstore l en amp s dhs amp cs cadhs amp model id studio-xps- Ultra LSP -Watt Power Supply http www tigerdirect ca applicati -WebletMain- -CANLET- - order amp SRCCODE CANLET Radeon http www amd com us products desk d- Pages ati-radeon-hd- -overview aspx nbsp

Relevancy 58.91%

Im having a problem with removing da casin from my Dell Dimension 8100. Being able to reomve da Left and the front case, as i guess da right hand side is connected with da motherboard. I want to remove da Hard drive from it, still cant nearere b'se there is a screw nut from da right hand side. So how to remove da right plastic shell from da CPU?

And also i managed to unplug da sound card easily, but there r some problems with da VGA. Its not possible to remove so easily. Is there any special way to remove da VGA card safely?

sampath
http://sampathsid.blogspot.com

A:Need help on Dell Dimension 8100

Dell Dimension 8100

Follow the link below to see how to remove case, etc.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dsleest/rr.htm#overview

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-on-dell-dimension-8100.65822/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hello I just got a Dimension computer from my brother and after taking it apart to clean it I plugged everything back in and turned the power on The computer seemed to start okay and it appeared that it booted the cd drive but nothing happened after that There was no action from the not 8100 Dell does boot Dimension hard drive and nothing came up on the monitor I tried to put in a newer graphics card thinking that it was the issue but the same thing happened with the newer card Opening up the computer i noticed a steady amber light coming from the motherboard that I do not believe was there before when the computer was working I looked at other troubleshooting sites and checked the diagnostic lights in the back of the machine they showed all green I had also read that a Dell Dimension 8100 does not boot steady amber light on the computer power switch indicated a power supply problem but my light is still green What could possibly be my problem Any help is greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Dell Dimension 8100 does not boot

What exactly do you mean by " booted the cdom drive".
Are you saying that the bios boot screen only shows the cd rom drive ?
Did you double check power connectors ,IDE cables and card seating? I have loosened a connector or two during my spring cleaning.
Do you have the diagnostic disks that come with Dell's ? They are pretty informative and they are bootable.
P.S. Welcome to Techspot!
I would also try the Dell recovery disk.
Also if you cannot boot to the O/S how are you able to install drivers for the new card and uninstall old drivers + switch to standard VGA? Which is the correct way to switch Vid cards.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimension-8100-does-not-boot.16318/
Relevancy 58.48%

Several Win BOOTING PROBLEM- Dell XP 8100 times I have had trouble upon initial boot What happens Goes thru Dell blk screen with BIOS versionA listed under the load bar then hear a quot bebeep quot and it BOOTING PROBLEM- Dell 8100 Win XP goes to a black DOS screen with the message quot strike F to retry boot F for set-up utility quot F just repeats the line If I hit Ctrl-Alt-delete it quot usually quot restarts and boots fine But times so far it hasn t Once I fixed it by going into set-up and changing to quot fast boot sequence quot Next time it hung up I switched quot fast boot quot off and it worked Today none of the above worked but when I disabled initial boot drive A in set-up it booted I have no idea why any of these things worked I was just desparately trying anything And I have no clue what is wrong with my PC Any suggestions on how to fix the boot problems will be greatly appreciated Specs Dell P MHz MB RAM Win XP Home v just installed SP this prob happened prior and after install Has been stable PC until now bought new in Thanks jana nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/booting-problem-dell-8100-win-xp.267428/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi there!
Have currently been given a good old dell inpiron 8100!!
I am wanting to re-install xp on it as its for my inlaws to use and want it fresh and clean :)
At the moment its on xp sp2 and i dont know the current password, tried safe mode and just keeps asking for password......
tried booting from cd and just goes to the normal xp startup screen.
Its using xp profesional scene edition sp2, i have been trying to install on a cd xp corporate student edition sp3.
Hope i can find some help here,
thanks.
Jamie

A:Problem with Dell inspiron 8100 on xp sp2

and welcome to the Forum

If you have the Dell System restore ( not all Dells do ) you can use that and you will not need a install CD

RouteTo

If not, You can get a reinstallation guide specific to your Dell here ( You will have to change the operating system to match yours.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-with-dell-inspiron-8100-on-xp-sp2-902850.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Ref Dell Dimension 8100 - Need a manual or instructions on how to open RIGHT side of case. Need to change CD-ROM drive.

A:Dell Dimension 8100 Case

here you go m8 .. this should have everything you need
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dsleest/
cheers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-dimension-8100-case.419572/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi I have a dell XPS running connectivity XPS - internet 8100 Dell no windows bit It has both an onboard ethernet card amp wireless adapter Both of which suddenly dropped to limited internet connectivity - or in real terms no connection out to the net at all The on board Nic is a broadcom netlink gigabit ethenet The wireless is DW n WLAN PCI e card Both devices indicate that they are working correctly Diagnosing the problem via windows indicates a driver problem for each I have updated the wireless card to the latest version amp no difference Unable to find a new edition for the on board nic I Dell 8100 XPS - no internet connectivity checked windows updates to see Dell 8100 XPS - no internet connectivity if anything could have updated but nothing within the timespan The ethernet cable has been changed to no avail Orange light active on back of on board nic I have tried starting in safemode with networking to no avail Sorry I should say that I am connected to my internet via a laptop which has no issues connecting so the router amp connection are fine If I view the connection details of either device nothing is dispayed in the property value box for either adapter Ipconfig all produces the following windows ip config host name fred primary dns node type mixed ip routing enabled no wins proxy enabled no tunnel adapter teredo tunnelling pseudo-interface media state media disconnected connection specific dns suffix description tunnel adapter teredo tunnelling pseudo-interface physical address - - - - - - -E dhcp enabled no auto configuration enabled yes I have also disabled panda internet security and avasta av to Dell 8100 XPS - no internet connectivity no avail I have opened up the box and reseated the wireless card - nothing In a last attempt I have installed a Zyxel G- wireless adapter Exactly the same issue with this also device working windows diagnosis driver issue I am also unable to connect to the router directly - Thanks Rewaks nbsp

Relevancy 58.48%

Hello everyone,

I haven't been able to use my computer (a dell dimension 8100) since the back fan decided to die. I took off the back and noticed a black fan much larger than the usual replacement fan. I was wondering if anyone knew the fan that I needed or where I could find that information. I have researched on the internet and the good ole Dell site but found nothing on this fan. I was hoping that one of you guys would know what I was talking about. Also, would it be difficult to put the fan in myself? Not being technically inclined, I'm afraid I might cause damage to my computer.

I would appreciate any help!!

Thanks

Anabellalee

A:HELP!!! Replacement Fan for Dell Dimension 8100

You should have 2 fans in the back. One on the top (power supply) and one below. The one below may serve two purposes. It may be in a plastic shroud that ducts air to/from the processor. If that one is not working, your processor may not power up. Fans usually come in 3 sizes. 80MM, 92MM and 120 MM.
120 = 4.75"
92 = 3.75" (approx)
80 = 3" (approx)

Most computer stores carry them. If not, newegg has all sizes. Just make sure where it is plugged in on the mobo. It probably is a 3 pin connector, but newer boards are starting to go to a 4 pin.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-replacement-fan-for-dell-dimension-8100.463554/
Relevancy 58.48%

Several times I have had trouble upon initial boot What happens Goes thru Dell blk screen with BIOS BOOTING XP Dell 8100 Win PROBLEM- versionA listed under the load bar then hear a quot bebeep quot and it goes to BOOTING PROBLEM- Dell 8100 Win XP a black DOS screen with the message quot strike F to retry boot F for set-up utility quot F just repeats the line If I hit Ctrl-Alt-delete it quot usually quot restarts and boots fine But times so far it hasn t Once I fixed it by going into set-up and changing to quot fast boot sequence quot Next time it hung up I switched quot fast boot quot off and it worked Today none of the above worked but when I disabled initial boot drive A in set-up it booted I have no idea why any of these things worked I was just desparately trying anything And I have no clue what is wrong with my PC Any suggestions on how to fix the boot problems will be greatly appreciated Specs Dell P MHz MB RAM Win XP Home v just installed SP this prob happened prior and after install Has been stable PC until now bought new in Thanks jana nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/booting-problem-dell-8100-win-xp.267428/
Relevancy 58.48%

Does anyone know a "Fixed" Bay DVD-Rom for Inspiron that will read Backed up DVDs on DVD+R Format? I have found a Modular one that will do this but would prefer to use a "Fixed" Bay one.

Thanks

Relevancy 58.48%

Hello my uncle has a Dell Dimension 8100 and i was going to format it after he got what he needed on files but as i turn it on and start it up there is a screen. The screen says "Strike F1 to reboot or F2 for utility." I press F1 to reboot so he could do whatever he needs but the F1 thing just pops up again. So i do F2 but im unfamiliar with Dell i don't know what to do with it. Anyone got any suggestion or a way for me to get passed these stuff. Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-my-dell-dimension-8100-is-messed-up.55781/
Relevancy 58.48%

I have a Dell xps desktop thats i - quad core processor that has gb ram and a rpm hard drive I use to use it as my main desktop but not anymore I have probably did XPS Wiping Out Dell 8100 Everything Desktop on the reinstallation of windows bit on this desktop at least times However each time i Wiping Out Everything on Dell XPS 8100 Desktop did this i know i didn't wipe my desktop fully because it always seemed a bit slow even when formatting it and also theres that old windows folder thats still there First off can someone tell me if i need a reinstallation windows cd for this I don't recall if i had the cd or not when i did the reinstallation of it It does have that sticker on the desktop so that might be what i need The thing is the last time i used this desktop i also formatted it and then stopped using it I recall last time i looked at the instructions on how to wipe the hard drive fully clean etc but there was a step where i had an issue where i just couldn't do it due to me not able to click or something or the process didn't went through I believe there were different links that is here to follow the instructions to is that correct I know i couldn't do it due to it not working I then powered on my desktop again after some time and it is extremely slow and very laggy So basically last time i formatted it but its still very slow Also im sure this has to do with reinstalling windows with dell usually has bloatware correct I have a laptop thats asus and i know when i do a reinstall which i cant do correctly b c i had similar problem theres ot of bloatware in asus computer and i dont know how to get rid of it Can someone tell me the steps where i would be able to completely wipe out the rpm hard drive and leave nothing there such as no old windows folder and no nothing so it can actually start really fast I also like to say that when i first got this desktop it always seemed pretty slow I assume thats b c i didn't remove the dell bloatware that came preloaded with the desktop I won't be using this desktop much but i want to basically make it brand new again and make it where theres no bloatware at all

A:Wiping Out Everything on Dell XPS 8100 Desktop

Everything needed is here to Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 based on what's worked best in tens of thousands of installs we've directly helped with here.

Be sure to read the Special Note to Dell OWners at the end for how to decide whether to keep the Utility partition, otherwise you'll delete all partitions during the booted install.

Pay close attention to how drivers are handled in Win7 which is not at all like XP.

You will get and keep a perfect install to the exact extent you follow the tutorial which has been used by a million consumers without a single complaint.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/349116-wiping-out-everything-dell-xps-8100-desktop.html
Relevancy 58.48%

i have a dell inspiron 8100 laptop and my hard drive crashed (at least thats what they told me when i called dell) i was told that the hard drive was locked and that i might as well throw it away. is there anyway that i can get into this? i really need to get into my computer asap!!! thank you

A:dell inspiron 8100 HELP asap!!

If your harddrive is truly crashed, you're totally out of luck, unless you want to pay a good grand to have the data recovered.

Is this a windows problem - or a physical hard drive problem? If it's just windows, we can most likely get your data back. Physical.. much harder.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-8100-help-asap.197281/
Relevancy 58.48%

Why hello there I m wondering if you can help me with this Whenever we try to run an actual program the comp keeps locking up 8100 Dell up... locks Inspiron and we have to reboot manually Thanks in advance Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgemc exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - Dell Inspiron 8100 locks up... E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - HKLM Run AVG CC C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe STARTUP O - HKLM Run AVG EMC Dell Inspiron 8100 locks up... C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgemc exe O - HKCU Run MSMSGS quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe quot background O - Service AVG Alert Manager Server Avg Alrt - GRISOFT s r o - C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe O - Service AVG Update Service Avg UpdSvc - GRISOFT s r o - C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 8100 locks up...

Dude. Nothing wrong in HackJackThis list you have given to us.

Freezing up normaly results in Networking, power supply or Memory problem. Turn off your PC, and open the case. Remove the dust. Remove and put back the memory, and try again.

If same thing occurs, I wouldn't bother and reinstall Windows.

Same thing occurs, I would put a nice power bar attached to your PC.

Same thing occurs, change the power supply.

Same things occurs, you're screwed. ;-)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-8100-locks-up.441040/
Relevancy 58.48%

I own a Dell Inspiron 8100 notebook computer. This notebook utilizes the following CPU and hard disk drive:

CPU manufacturer: Intel
Current CPU speed: 866 MHz
External clock: 133 MHz

Model: HITACHI_DK23CA-10
Firmware: 00H5A0G3
LBA support: yes
LBA sectors: 19640880 (= 9.366 GB)
Disk cache size: 512 KB
Supported UDMA modes: 0-5
Current UDMA mode: 5
Acoustic Management support: yes
Acoustic Management enabled: yes
Current Acoustic Management value: 0xc0 (= noisy)
Recommended Acoustic Management value: 0xc0 (= noisy)
SMART support: yes
Temperature support: yes
Current temperature: 141░F

My questions are:

1. What is a normal operating temperature range (in Fahrenheit-degrees) for this CPU and hard disk drive?

2. What temperature would be considered "high" (resulting in damage to the CPU/HDD)?

3. Should there be frequent changes in temperature?

Thanks!

A:CPU/HDD Temps-Dell Inspiron 8100

Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop CPU/HDD Temperature Questions:

1. What is the standard CPU and hard disk drive temperature range during
operation (i.e. 120-150 degrees)?
2. At what temperature should the cooling fan start (CPU/HDD)?
3. At what temperature should the cooling fan stop?(CPU/HDD)?
4. At what temperature is the CPU/HDD at risk for damage?

Please provide temperatures/temperature range in degrees (Farhenheit).

Computer Information:

System manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
Product name: Inspiron 8100
CPU manufacturer: Intel
Current CPU speed: 866 MHz
External clock: 133 MHz
Max. CPU speed supported by board: 1200 MHz
L1 cache size: 32 KB (internal)
L2 cache size: 512 KB (internal)

Hard Disk Drive Model: HITACHI_DK23CA-10
Firmware: 00H5A0G3
LBA support: yes
LBA sectors: 19640880 (= 9.366 GB)
Disk cache size: 512 KB
Supported UDMA modes: 0-5
Current UDMA mode: 5
Acoustic Management support: yes
Acoustic Management enabled: yes
Current Acoustic Management value: 0xc0 (= noisy)
Recommended Acoustic Management value: 0xc0 (= noisy)
SMART support: yes
Temperature support: yes
Current temperature: 140░F

Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cpu-hdd-temps-dell-inspiron-8100.404684/
Relevancy 58.48%

I purchased a used Dell Dimension computer with Windows ME installed. I tried to load Windows 2000 and XP. This computer will not allow either of these OS's to load. I even tried to keep the FAT 32 partition and upgrade. When I do this, I get an error that the files on the hard drive are corrupted. I flashed the bios, tried a new hard drive, and even installed a RAID controller and get the same error every time. When I try to load OEM version of XP, I get the error that the hard drive is damaged.

A:Dell Dimension 8100 P4 Rambus

That is what puzzles me. I tried two other new hard drives with the same result. I even installed a raid controller. I suspect there is something wrong with the motherboard or something screwed with this model Dell.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimension-8100-p4-rambus.36340/
Relevancy 58.48%

I would like to think this isa simple problem, but I have not found any help as of yet. My motherboard died. Someone gave me a know good working dell 8100 desktop without a hard drive. I tested my old hard drive in my other working computer and it is okay. But I am getting a blue screen error message when I start the computer, never making it to windows. If I try safe mode it hangs on mup.sys. I am guessing the problem is that my hard drive is not setup to work with the bios. I cannot seem to get the cd-rom to boot up the Win xp installation disc, even if I change the boot order in bios. Please help.

A:Mup.sys On A Dell 8100 With A New Hard Drive

If I understand this correctly, you took a hard drive with Windows installed on it from one computer and installed it on another computer? When you take a hdd with a Windows OS installed on it that you have been using on one computer and then install it as a master in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from an article from Intel which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here ."Moving a hard drive with Windows* 2000 or Windows XP* already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows. This is documented in Microsoft's* knowledge base article ?. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/156246/mupsys-on-a-dell-8100-with-a-new-hard-drive/
Relevancy 58.48%

i have a dell dimension 8100 with a 1.3ghz cpu. i ve upgraded the ram to 512mb. is it possible to upgrade this motherboard by putting a new cpu. If not, what motherboard should i buy so that i can upgrade it to a 3.0ghz intel pentium 4 processor and how much would that cost?im a total noob at this stuff.

Relevancy 58.48%

Hi,

Recently did a clean install of windows xp to a Dell Dimension 8100, and currently am having issues with some drivers like audio, etc.

Does anyone know where I can find a .zip file that contains all of the drivers for the OS for Dell Dimension 8100 XP

A:Need XP Drivers for Dell Dimension 8100

No-

All Dells should have a Service Tag ID on back or underneath for notebooks.

Record that case-sensitive and take it here> http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Type in Service Tag (or let it be detected)

Takes you to the support pages for your Dell. Only problem is, there may be more than one, more than 2, hardware items in the 8100 product family...... the Service Tag does help though.

Some Dells came with their individual Drivers and Applications CDs.......not these days, though.

Most Dells, in fairly original condition, would have a DELL/Drivers folder.....on Drive C:

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-xp-drivers-for-dell-dimension-8100.941016/
Relevancy 57.62%

Ok so I have a Dell Dimension that s about years old I just bought a 320gig Dimension 8100 drive Dell and new hard drive for it gigs I Dell Dimension 8100 and 320gig drive installed it as a slave drive with the jumpers The master drive is on the first cable plug and the new drive is on the second cable plug I went to the setup as the machine Dell Dimension 8100 and 320gig drive was booting and set the second drive to quot Auto quot I then went to Disk Manager and tried to partition the drive It seems there is a limit of gigs So I partitioned it once planning on partitioning it again my friend helped me with all this Dell Dimension 8100 and 320gig drive on the phone since I m hardware stupid When I went to add another partition it wasn t even an option For some reason it s not recognizing that there is still more space on the drive Does anyone here have advice and or a solution to this Your help is very much appreciated Kip Gordon nbsp

Relevancy 57.62%

Question...

My power supply recently went out on my Dimension 8100 computer. I've been told that with this particular PC I can only purchase one type of power supply. Is this true? and if it is why are all the power supplies that I've found for this over $80.00??? If anyone know's a good place to purchase this product for better than $80 please let me know... i'm desperate

Thanks

FC

A:Dell Dimension 8100 power supply...

I am afraid some Dell power supplies have an extra connection to the motherboard and to use a non Dell item could lead to you frying your board.
The only way round it is to change both PSU and board, which is an expensive option.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimension-8100-power-supply.13161/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have a Dell Dimension computer that I inherited from my stepdad I know for a fact that he bought two new sticks of rambus mem as an upgrade before he gave the computer to me The reason he gave it to me was because he said it was quot on the Not Boot Will 8100 After Dimension Shutdown Dell fritz Dell Dimension 8100 Will Not Boot After Shutdown quot and he had bought himself a new computer anyway AMD Athlon with bit architecture After shutting down the computer it will not reboot for about an hour to sometimes about an hour and a half It sounds like it is booting up but never powers up the monitor I have read similar posts to mine and have followed the recommendations in them I am getting a yellow A-B Dell Dimension 8100 Will Not Boot After Shutdown and green C-D which means it is not booting the memory correctly and i have tried over and over to reseat the memory Dell Dimension 8100 Will Not Boot After Shutdown and it still does the same thing Once it does actually boot i can go into the bios setup and see that is recognizes the memory as two sticks of rambus mem but then when i look at the total memory count it is only Coversely when i right click on my computer in windows it says I only have but when i go to the system information window it says i have So what gives Is this a motherboard problem a memory problem or possibly something else My friend has a theory he says that heat can casue the pins in the memory slots to droop and not contact the memory correctly and therefore that is why it seems the board must go through a cooldown period before booting again I am desperate to get my computer working correctly again Imagine not being able to restart when you need to Please help Thanks nbsp

A:Dell Dimension 8100 Will Not Boot After Shutdown

Oh yeah, I ordered a new Dimension 8100 specific 410 watt power supply from pcpowercooling.com to replace the existing Dell 250 watt stock PSU.

I know the mobo diagnostic code is saying it is a memory problem but i am still skeptical.

I really need some help here!! Here is some more information about my pc:

Dell Dimension 8100
Stock 250 Watt PSU
Pentium 4 1.4 Ghz Processor
1024 Megs Rambus Ram
2 7200 RPM 60 Gig HDs
Nvidia GeForce 3 64 MB GPU
USB 2.0/Fireware (3 and 2 slots respectively) PCI Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
56k modem (just collects dust)
DVD ROM Drive (LG)
DVD Burner (Sony)
Zip Drive (is not hooked up to power supply though)
3 1/2 floppy drive
Windows XP Home Edition

Peripherals:

Altec Lansing Power Cube Speakers
19 inch monitor
Standard Keeboard
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical
Saitek X52 Flight Control System (Awesome, You need one)
DVC 150b Video Capture Device
Net Gear 54mbps Wireless Router
Compaq Pocket PC
HP Photo Printer with data card reader (SD, etc.)
Visioneer Scanner
Cable Modem
Creative Webcam

And probably more stuff that I am forgetting. As you can see I love my computer and I love computing and especially gaming. I have over 150 PC Games in my collection with new ones like HL 2, COD 2, Far Cry, Battlefront 2 etc.

I am upgrading to the 410 watt power supply and a new ATI Radeo X800XL video card (or possibly a slightly better model).

My computer works fine when it boots. It's getting it to boot after a shutdown or trying to restart it that doesn't work.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimension-8100-will-not-boot-after-shutdown.42794/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have a 2 year old (2002) Dell Dimension 8100. The rear case fan (only fan) has ended its own life. I went to Dell to purchase a replacement and was robbed of $22 for what should have only cost about $8. However, one month later I have still not received the fan and have been forced to start looking elswhere.

Problem is, I am not sure where to look. Does anyone have good resources for sites that tell you what fans are compatible with certain systems (and possibly sells such fans)? Or has anyone already purchased a good replacement that they would suggest?

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

A:Shopping for Dell Dimension 8100 Case Fan

mostlikely any 80mm fan would work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/shopping-for-dell-dimension-8100-case-fan.10803/
Relevancy 57.62%

My Dell Dimension 8100 is with 2, 64Mb cards. I wanna upgrade it to bit higher level. Im having a 512Mb card. Im wondering, is it possible to plug da 512Mb and 64Mb card as pairs in da Sokets 1 and 2 (I have 2 dummie cards for socket 3 and 4) ?

As i checked with da Dell support web, they provide a hint :

" If you upgrade the memory, the RIMMs must be upgraded in matched pairs of identical MB capacity in both sockets 1 and 2 or sockets 3 and 4".

So, in my situation, do i have to match da socket 1 and 2 with same 512Mb or is safe to plug 512Mb with 64Mb in da specified sockets? I dont care about da optimum performance, least 512Mb is enough for me.

thanx in advance.

sampath

A:Memory upgrade - Dell Dimension 8100, plz help

Your Dell uses RDRAM and those must be installed in matched pairs only, as the instruction from Dell plainly states. You will not be able to use your single 512MB module unless it is RDRAM (not SDRAM) AND you can pair it up with another identical one. Ordinarily you can only buy RDRAM in pairs regardless of capacity so I suspect your 512MB module is not RDRAM and, therefore, you can't use it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/memory-upgrade-dell-dimension-8100-plz-help.65903/
Relevancy 57.62%

removed by author......................

sampath

A:Memory Upgrade - Dell Dimension 8100, plz help

I answered your identical post elsewhere. You shouldn't post multiple identical posts as it leads to confusion when different people answer each one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/memory-upgrade-dell-dimension-8100-plz-help.65904/
Relevancy 57.62%

My wife spilled decaf in her Dell inspiron 8100 laptop. It was enough that the display went blank and the power switch would not shut the system down. I removed the AC power and battery before flushung the system with clean water. I removed the keyboard and used a hair dryer for several hours before letting the system dry for a day.

What I get now is blinking LEDs and no beeps or display. It looks like the POST never completes or never runs. The hard drive never spins up. The system looks clean and dry inside and out, so something must have died.

I would like to know if the LEDs could be flashing useful information?

Has anyone run into this before?

John

Relevancy 57.62%

Last week the poor Dell Inspiron 8100 seems to have died. It is used to program industrial PLC's so it is never on the net, hence almost no chance for viruses. When powered on, it takes over 45 minutes to POST and start Windows XP home. Response to pad or keyboard commands is delayed by 30-90 seconds.

It does the same thing if the back-up hard drive is installed and to original is removed. Is the problem likely to be the Processor? Motherboard? or Memory

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-8100-boot-problem.45428/
Relevancy 57.62%

My daughter has a Dell Insprion 8100 notebook running Windows XP Home Edition. When she started the computer this morning the screen remains blank although the PC appears to be starting up - can't tell what's happening since the screen is blank although the disk is being accessed as evidenced by the flashing keyboard lights. The problem seems to have started when she plugged in the battery charger. At first, the PC would start under battery power normally, but that has stopped. Even under battery power the symptom is the same - a blank screen that flashes intermittently, but displays nothing else. Can someone offer some advice. Of course she is scheduled to go back to college next week and uses her notebook extensively. Thanks.

A:Help with a blank screen on a Dell Inspiron 8100

JR,

When it does "Flash" is there anything to be seen on the screen??

There have been several Posts lately concerning failed 'backlights' on LCD displays.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-a-blank-screen-on-a-dell-inspiron-8100.264674/
Relevancy 57.62%

PS fan runs, CD drive lights, opens, closes. On opening case, standby light on MB is on, stays on when computer turned off with power button. Stays on when plug pulled short time, less than a minute, goes off. When plugged in, fan starts, standby light lights, even before power button is pressed. Removed CMOS battery, waited five minutes, SB light still on. (Dell online says don't change PCI card while light is on.) The computer is my college G-daughter's; I'd like to get it fixed and back to her ASAP. What do you think? Is this a MS Stand-by problem?

Relevancy 57.62%

I came home one day last week to find my dell dimension had rebooted and was showing a flashing cursor with the message strike F to reboot F for setup utility going into BIOS setup it showed quot Unknown Device quot for both the internal hdds and both CD drives I reseated all connections all memory unplugged all peripherals still won t see ANY drives except floppy Could be a bad ribbon but two bad ribbons at the exact see drives dimension ANY doesn't dell 8100 same time Not very likely Dell support couldn t figure dell dimension 8100 doesn't see ANY drives it out They concluded I had a bad motherboard and that was my opinion also I got dell dimension 8100 doesn't see ANY drives a new motherboard and processor installed and on boot the result is the same doesn t see any hard drives or cd drives All four say Unknown Device About a month before this happened the ps keyboard port on mboard went bad and I had to switch to a usb keyboard which helped fuel my suspicion that this was a mboard issue Anyone have any ideas nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-dimension-8100-doesnt-see-any-drives.627598/
Relevancy 57.62%

Dell Inspiron 8100 BIOS password
#HCJST01-595B

A:Need Dell Inspiron 8100 BIOS password

Contact Dell?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-dell-inspiron-8100-bios-password.89909/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello. I want to replace my Radeon HD 5700 video card in a 2009 build Studio XPS 8100. The card has a long plastic piece on it that makes the card almost as long as the computer case and I can't figure out how to get the card out.

Can anyone help?

A:How to remove Radeon HD 5700 from Dell XPS 8100

Page 31 shows you how to remove the bracket

Removing the Graphics Card Bracket 1. Follow the procedures in Before You Begin. 2. Remove the computer cover (see Removing the Computer Cover). 3. Remove the two screws that secure the graphics card bracket to the drive panel. 4. Pivot the graphics card bracket up and lift it off the hinge clamp slot. 5. Set the graphics card bracket aside in a secure location.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19618261
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello: I need some advice on how to remove the hard drive from a Dell Dimension 8100.
I'm 70 and don't understand how to do it.
Thanks for any help.
Bob Rinaldi

A:Removing drive from Dell Dimension 8100

Click on this link then click removing and replacing parts>hard drive. It gives step by step instructions along with pics.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dsleest/

One thing that I find helpful when working on something I am not familiar with is to take a few pics of whatever it is with a digital camera before you start removing parts. If you need to find out where something went, just look at the pic.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removing-drive-from-dell-dimension-8100.985387/
Relevancy 57.62%

Could someone more 8100 Assistance Dimension Troubleshooting Dell in the know that I help me troubleshoot a critical problem with my Dell Dimension I m trying to figure out whether my problem is likely a failed hard drive or something more serious Problem The machine failed to boot when I powered it up yesterday The Dell startup routine displays as ususal but Windows XP does not load I just get a blank black screen with the cursor blinking in the upper left corner What I ve tried I made a Windows XP boot disk put Dell Dimension 8100 Troubleshooting Assistance it in my internal floppy drive and turned the machine on It boots to an A-prompt showing the machine recognizes the A drive When I attempt to access the hard drive by entering C I get quot invalid drive specification quot Dell Dimension 8100 Troubleshooting Assistance I get the same result when I try to access the CD-R W and DVD devices However when I power up the machine I do get LED displays on the CD-R W and DVD devices I have gone into the setup menu set the boot sequence to boot from the CD-R W drive and placed a bootable CD in the drive The machine does ot boot I Dell Dimension 8100 Troubleshooting Assistance have removed the cover turned on the machine and touched the hard drive to check for vibration No vibration I am concerned about the quot invalid drive specification quot messages above when I try to access the hard drive and CD-R W and DVD drives Does that suggest something other than a hard drive failure Anyone out there want to hazard a guess as to what my problem is nbsp

A:Dell Dimension 8100 Troubleshooting Assistance

Hdd

Easy thing to try first is to pull the Hdd and see if it will boot from Cd/rom.. If not try the other way.. Unhook A:/ Try to boot. Unhook D:/ (cd) try to boot.. let us know but its probably the hard drive failed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimension-8100-troubleshooting-assistance.20457/
Relevancy 57.62%

I recently had to replace a noisy case fan on my Dell However I didn t want to buy another Dell fan for the system I wanted to get a better one So I was able to replace the case fan which is basically the 8100 System Dell not fan -Alert! detected fan for the CPU However the replacement fan s power source is connected to one of the power supply connections instead of the on-board power supply that the Dell fan was previously connected to Now when i restart the computer at the start-up I get quot Alert System fan not detected quot Press F to continue or F to System Since Dell has a quot custom quot connection Dell 8100 -Alert! System fan not detected for the on-board power supply for the fan I m unable to use it unless I break down and buy another crappy Dell fan I want to remove this prompt so I don t have to press Dell 8100 -Alert! System fan not detected F I look around in BIOS and didn t really see anything Maybe this is something that is hardwired into the chip Is all hope lost Please Help nbsp

A:Dell 8100 -Alert! System fan not detected

You're going to need a fan that connects to the motherboard header. Here are about 200 of 'em. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0110573+1373226565&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=573

I assume you have the dell setup with the giant green shroud between the heatsink and the back of the case....

Notice that they have a 3 pin AND 4 pin connector. That will tell your BIOS that you have a fan.

That warning is wired into the motherboard so that you don't torch your CPU if it comes unplugged. Without that other connector, the system thinks you don't have a fan.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-8100-alert-system-fan-not-detected.544660/
Relevancy 57.62%

I 8100 Notebook-No Inspiron Dell sound have Dell Inspiron 8100 Notebook-No sound a Dell Inspiron Notebook computer running Windows Version Build Service Pack I have no sound coming from my speakers during windows start-up or if I try to play an mp file I also have no speaker icon on my task bar Looking at the Device Manager Sound video and game controllers area I have the following -Audio Codecs -ESS Maestro PCI Audio WDM -Legacy Audio Drivers -Legacy Video Capture Devices -Media Control Devices -Video Codecs One device is showing the dreaded exclamation point It s for the ESS Maestro PCI Audio WDM device by ESS Technology Inc Checking the properties the device status window notes the following This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device Code Looking at the Sounds and Multimedia Properties icon under the Audio tab all the items are grayed out Sound Playback Sound Recording and MIDI Music Playback This issue started after installing a LinkSys RangePlus Wireless Notebook Adapter Can you assist me in getting my sound back Thank you Sprinks

A:Dell Inspiron 8100 Notebook-No sound

The device with the "!", right click on it and select Properties, then click on the Details tab, then on Hardware ID in the dropdown box. It should be in this format:"PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_40090070&REV_01"Post back what you find.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/178086/dell-inspiron-8100-notebook-no-sound/
Relevancy 57.62%

I just got this Dell tower from a co-worker that pretty much didn t want it 8100 mobo trouble Dell Dimension anymore and hadn t messed with it since he Dell Dimension 8100 mobo trouble got it I bring it home turn it on no video Okay I open up the Rubik s Cube of a case and make sure the video card is firmly in place then I turn it back on no video I go to work then next day and grab another video card just to make sure it wasn t a bad card to begin with take it home install it no video I m looking around on the mobo for a failsafe switch of some sort and I don t see any jumpers that stand out But there is a REALLY bright yellow LED light with quot STDBY quot printed next to it I hear the machine running I here the HDD kick in but still no video Anyone have any clue what I can do to get this thing to cooperate with me nbsp

A:Dell Dimension 8100 mobo trouble

1. Try resetting the BIOS
2. Check to see if your monitor is working by putting it in another comp
3. Try a new PSU

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimension-8100-mobo-trouble.71150/
Relevancy 57.19%

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 and it list the processor clock speed at 1000/733 mhz. The processor speed is currently at 733 mhz. Is there a setting that can be changed to achieve the full 1000mhz clock speed?
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks.

A:Is Dell Inspiron 8100 processor speed correct?

Your Inspiron like many notebooks will throttle back your processor speed to reduce heat and prolong battery life. So even though it is a ~1Ghz processor it will at times run at 733MHz. That's normal behavior. You might be able to disable this feature in Control Panel/Power Options.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-dell-inspiron-8100-processor-speed-correct.550861/
Relevancy 57.19%

I submit I am absolutely exhausted on this minidump x64 BSOD all me. 8100 XPS Dell Solved: random W7 over partly because I am fairly talented when it comes to these matters but I submit to the gurus humbly on this matter Please know I have done extensive time-wasting on this and even tried loading the WindowsSDK and symbol libraries but I ran into additional issues and was never able to successfully decode the mini-dumps Problem Child My Solved: W7 x64 Dell XPS 8100 random BSOD minidump all over me. Dad gifted this machine to me and I fell for Solved: W7 x64 Dell XPS 8100 random BSOD minidump all over me. it knowing it was a problem child Plus I find puzzles irresistible This machine is having some pretty serious BSOD s some aren t going through to the minidump and I have run a bunch of different stuff from the forums I m running it write now but I have a second machine in case the worst Okay enough talk please find the attached most recent minidump I am at the point everything is updated except I am receiving an error and I can t get the final step of SP to take Error not found x I ran sfc scannow and found nothing Solved: W7 x64 Dell XPS 8100 random BSOD minidump all over me. verifier standard all did throw to a bsod which generate one of the attached minidumps and it seemed to point to HIDCLASS SYS but the random and sometimes violent nature of these makes me think it is memory which I have not run memtestx so I guess I will set that up next System is Windows x Home Premium i G and Barracuda Drives could I have two bad drives now Current Issues I m having besides a mental breakdown and underemployment Linksys WUSB N This thing will not stay connected and pretty much stinks IMO on Windows x Random BSOD Can t get SP to take Thank you all volunteers nbsp

Relevancy 57.19%

Hello all, 

Have some questions concerning upgrading my 8100,
i am trying to get it run as a gaming computer to run things such as the most recent total war games, 
At the moment i have no graphics card (last one broke)  and am in need of a new one....
Have  looked on the web concerning this and have found that people have used the Radeon r9 270x as an upgrade. 
Which obviously means upgrading the original 350 watt PSU to support it, people have  recommended the Seasonic S12II 520  to others.....
So my question is can i just add in the radeon r9 270x and the Seasonic S12II 520 without any issues? 
Please let me know where you think i should go with this! 
cheers

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19990057
Relevancy 57.19%

Not a computer genius nor a complete goof either.. so please be patient!!

I have a dell XPS 8100 with windows 7 Home premium sp1 64 bit

Recently this computer got a virus transferred to it from a camera card.

I took this computer to a local computer shop and the tech removed things which made my computer, in short, not the dell i purchased 2 years ago.

I contacted dell and received an OS disc for windows 7 home premium.

when i use the F8 prompt to get into restoring my computer to factory settings.. This is the first few things that confuse me as do many...
First: There is no prompt in the F8 to reset to factory condition, only a option to restore image.
2nd: I try to use advanced commands to find the OS disc which i have in the D drive but it never finds it..

Any guidance or suggestion would be of great help..
thanks so much
Greg

A:How do I install windows 7 HPsp1 64 bit on a dell xps 8100 from a disc

Hello brocker1234567 Welcome to the Seven Forums!

I strongly suspect the place you brought the system into likely wiped something necessary to see the restoration option available while cleaning the system up for you. With the recovery disk you have now received from Dell that will only see a full clean install of 7 go on once it wipes the C primary clean during the installation process.

The recovery disks acts just like any other full install media but is Dell branded. Once the clean copy of Windows is back on and you enter the OEM product key found on the sticker attached to the machine itself you will then need to go to the Dell support site to download the updates for that model. Since you already have the 7 media to use just follow the rest in the guide for performing a clean install of 7. Clean Install Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/248403-how-do-i-install-windows-7-hpsp1-64-bit-dell-xps-8100-disc.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I tried putting in samsung pc800 ram in my dell dimension 8100 but after I put it in , power didn't turn on so i have to send it back to dell to get computer fixed. Anyone know what the problem is? Dell said that the motherboard has gone, I don't know why?!

Before I send it off, I found a couple of dell dimension 8100 base units on ebay. One of them has a harddrive on 20gb, the other has a 60gb hard drive. My harddrive in my dimension 8100 is 80gb. Dell told me that the data should still be on my 80gb drive. I have some important data that I need to restore. Is it possible if I buy one of the dell dimension 8100 base units, to transfer my 80gb hard drive to the dimension 8100 base unit from ebay without any problems? Would it work?

A:will this hard drive work on my dell dimension 8100?

should work like a charm but u heard from the techtv screen savers that dell uses differant motherborads and what not. but if you manage to get the same exact motherboard it will be no problem.i would ask the seller before you bought it what type it is. the only other thing is windows may detect the change but may not

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/will-this-hard-drive-work-on-my-dell-dimension-8100.164691/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi all

I have Toshiba Tecra 8100 & dell Latitude CPx laptops with Infrared ports , but i don't know or have the drivers for the InfraRed for these laptops.

please i need to get the drivers and how to install them ..
This is My Best and Top place to have Help everyTime..
I Love It .. )

A:Toshiba Tecra 8100 & Dell LatitudeCPx Laptops

Please don't duplicate post. Reply here:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101809

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/toshiba-tecra-8100-dell-latitudecpx-laptops.101802/
Relevancy 57.19%

What is maximum memory agp video card that can be instaled on 1.5ghz dell dimension 8100? AGP aperture shows max 256mb (32, 64, 128, 256) is this the maximum the chipset will support?

A:Video card for dell demension 8100 1.5ghz

Additional question

I would like to install a ATI Radeon HD2600 Pro GPU. THe question is "board requires the "motherboard with open AGP slot and correct chipset driver" . The first part (AGP SLOT) is simple but the correct chipset driver is not. How do I determine which chipset driver I have so I can see if it meets requirement?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-card-for-dell-demension-8100-1-5ghz.103373/
Relevancy 57.19%

I have a dell inspiron It s giving me the blue screen and last time this happened I just quot repaired quot windows xp using my cd This time when I go to the setup screen in page quot Boot order quot at the top of the boot devices it says quot Configure Setup is disabled quot The boot order is Internal HDD then CD DVD CD-RW Drive then diskette drive then modular bay hdd cardbus NIC APR NIC and last Mini-PCI NIC I just want to move CD to st but I can t quot u quot and quot d quot to move devices up and down screen, from blue can't cd inspiron 8100, boot dell is locked Up and down arrow does not move the highlight up and down like it should so I dell inspiron 8100, blue screen, can't boot from cd can t hit enter or spacebar on the one I want CD Right and left arrows do nothing The only commands that do anything on this screen are Esc which obviously escapes out of the setup and dell inspiron 8100, blue screen, can't boot from cd Alt-P changes to the next page but that doesn t dell inspiron 8100, blue screen, can't boot from cd help And PgDn and PgUp which just moves the right side up and down which is just for information purposes It is a Dell Inspiron U Setup and BIOS Version A Any suggestions nbsp

A:dell inspiron 8100, blue screen, can't boot from cd

any ideas?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-8100-blue-screen-cant-boot-from-cd.69943/
Relevancy 57.19%

I know from searches on here that this laptop is pretty much obsolete when it comes to finding drivers for some aspects of Win but I've also found some who seem to have got it running well on it so Dell display 8100 screen problems Inspiron hoping this isn't maybe a driver problem but something else that maybe can be easily Dell Inspiron 8100 screen display problems fixed Basically Win installed without any problems but is running in a box centred in the middle of the screen - I tried to improve it by changing up the screen res Dell Inspiron 8100 screen display problems but while that did bump it up a bit it's still well shy of the screen edges i e inch of black all around it Is this thus another driver issue do you reckon or does anyone know of any other way to increase the res as I can't find anyone else with this particular problem in searches here or elsewhere Dell Inspiron 8100 screen display problems unless I'm not searching with the right terms Already have it installed on my desktop so the laptop was really just for backup of sorts and not the end of the world if it won't work properly but be nice to know for sure

A:Dell Inspiron 8100 screen display problems

I'm having this same issue on my sony vaio...

I would also like some input as the black bars are getting a little annoying...

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/15473-dell-inspiron-8100-screen-display-problems.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I ve been trying to bring my husband s older Dell P desktop back to life It was an old ME system initially I ve Dimension Dell after desktop BSOD 8100 -- rebuild done the following Replaced the motherboard and ide cables New CMOS battery Flashed BIOS Replaced and upgraded the memory Reformatted the harddrive using another system and loaded Win XP Pro Dell Dimension 8100 desktop -- BSOD after rebuild I ve used this same harddrive with XP Pro sucessfully on another Dell Dimension 8100 desktop -- BSOD after rebuild Dell so I know there is nothing wrong with the boot files But when I install it in the broke Dell no joy It hangs in the quot Windows can not start normally quot pick Safe Mode Last Known Good Config etc loop None of the options work and it flashes a quick BSOD dump error too fast for me to see and then back through the loop The BIOS recognizes all the drives the memory processor etc I also tried to boot with alot of the extra hardware removed removed NIC sound card modem un-hooked optical drives etc --- still same no-boot loop I do not want to give up -- and at this point I just want to concur it if nothing else I d appreciate any ideas Thanks Kristine nbsp

Relevancy 57.19%

ok guys wel i have a dell deminsion 8100 desktop with windows 2000 OS and i went to start up one day and it would freeze at the bott up... long story short i reformated the whole system to factory settings....now it boots up and loads...but then it comes to the set screen ... to creat a ADMIN password and pu tin youre name product code etc... and after i do that it gives me a fatal error message and says cannot install product catalogs and they should be longer... problems registering the OLE control DLL and the file thats apparently messed up is C:\WINNT\System32\initpki.dll with an error message 800b0001 and i believ my BIOS is outdated/corrupted so i need to know how to restet the BIOS or get a new one.....THANKS ALOT

A:dell deminsion 8100 bios/setup prob.

need to konw what i need to do ASAP

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-deminsion-8100-bios-setup-prob.45606/
Relevancy 57.19%

The headphones jack on laptop just broke... i've tried twisting the plug a little bit and it worked for a couple of minutes but now it doesn't .

I want to know if there is a way I can to use the microphone jack as a headphone jack.

If it's not possible... there's another jack to the right of the headphones jack with the symbol resembling this: ((*-))
Can i use that one, too?

Thanks in advance

A:Broken Headphone Jack (Dell Inspiron 8100)

You need to buy/acquire a 3.5mm stereo screw plug.

There`s no point trying to mess with the mic plug.Even if you could
connect it,you`d only get mono.

The other socket you refer to,is most likely a Line IN.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broken-headphone-jack-dell-inspiron-8100.48550/
Relevancy 57.19%

The Ac is hooked up to it and battery has a full charge on it but when you push the power botton the green led comes on for about 2 sec's then goes off and thats it..no sound, no screen just the led for 2 sec's and poof. Any Idea's?

A:Dell Inspiron 8100 Model PP01X. Won't power up

Remove the battery and AC Adapter. Press and hold the power button for 2 minutes. Plug in the AC adapter and see if the computer turns on normally. If not, the laptop will have to be serviced

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-8100-model-pp01x-wont-power-up.134571/
Relevancy 57.19%

I want to install a larger hard drive into my Dell Dimension 8100. Does anyone know what is a compatible hard drive or how to find out what is a compatible har drive?

A:DELL Dimension 8100 hard drive upgrade

Welcome to Techspot!
My Dell 8000 took a toshiba 40 Gig upgrade, with no hitches.
You can go to Dell.com and use their upgrade system to find out what HDD's go in your's.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimension-8100-hard-drive-upgrade.21153/
Relevancy 57.19%

I have a Dell Dimension - GHz with MB of RAM - MHz I am looking to upgrade the memory Apparently it needs RDRAM apparently same as RD RAMBUS I am thinking of adding MB That s where my questions start There seem to be tons of RD RAM options supposedly compatible with Dell Dimension with 8100 upgrade memory novice Dimension - Dell significant variation in price I list Dell Dimension 8100 memory upgrade - novice below to make my point gt MB x MB Dell Precision Workstation PC ECC Memory kit p n - - gt EDGE MEMORY - mb rambus kit for dell dimension memory ram for gt KINGSTON MB MHZ NON-ECC PIN RAMBUS MEMORY for Scanning some of the messages on the memory upgrade there are cases where people upgraded RAM and have run into problems not compatible unrecognized didn t have the right drivers or BIOS I visited the Dell site for updates - but it seemed unhelpful in this matter There were a bunch of downloads in various categories - but geared towards someone knowing exactly what they wanted to update not a novice trying to keep applicable things up-to-date So anyway - I am a bit nervous about going through the expense and effort to put in the new RAM only to find system can not use it or worse is offended by it I guess the final question is that this is a rather old system Is it simply a bad idea to sink more money into it I would welcome any advice hints and suggestions Thanks a lot in advance nbsp

Relevancy 57.19%

I recieve VGMR error on Dell, running XP SP3.
Re-installed OS, no luck...
But computer also displays Emem error, and reboots on it's own...?????
Power button sometimes displays amber light,
Thanks to any help...
I believe it may be the rambus memory, and or the motherboard...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vgmr-error-message-on-dell-dimension-8100.774226/
Relevancy 56.33%

whenever i switch on my dell studio 1737 laptop it wont go past the dell logo stage.
any help out there on how to fix the problem?
at the moment i am running a diagnostics test and seems like most devices are passing the test.
Michael

A:dell studio 1737 laptop wont boot past dell logo

It could be any number of things but my first 2 guesses are possibly the hard drive or motherboard.you might want to take it somewhere so that you will get a correct diagnosis.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-studio-1737-laptop-wont-boot-past-dell-logo.1107624/
Relevancy 56.33%

I recently bought an older Dell Inspiron 8100 just to lug around and it connects to wifi via a wireless card no problem. The problem I am having is that when I hardwire to the net via the ethernet cable, I get nothing. It's OS is Windows XP sp3. Anyone that could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 56.33%

Hi ASUS Unable GT610 to in a GeForce XPS 8100 install Dell The original NVIDIA Geforce GTX card that came with my Dell machine died last week and after looking round I concluded that a GT with GB memory should be a suitable and cheap replacement for what I need However after multiple attempts I am still unable to get it to work and keep getting error messages about Unable to install ASUS GeForce GT610 in a Dell XPS 8100 needing to load the GPU driver Using the drivers on the installation disk with the card I get a barely usable monitor screen - v low resolution Updating with the latest driver from ASUS doesn't help but using the latest one on the NVIDIA site from Dec is a bit better although the display is distorted and cannot play video In all cases it claims the driver has loaded successfully but in Control Panel the device is showing as stopped I have tried updating the BIOS to the latest version from Dell A but it has had no effect I have tried removing and reinstalling the card removing and reinstalling the drivers but with no result I initially forgot to remove the old NVIDIA GTX drivers but after going back and trying that before installing the GT drivers it still won't work Is this card actually compatible with a Dell XPS

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/388857-unable-install-asus-geforce-gt610-dell-xps-8100-a.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I'm really embarrassed, but it has no visible screws and I'm mechanically challenged (chick) smiles

A:How do I remove the cover from my Dell Dimension 8100? Would love to hear how!

press a top and bottom button while computer is flipped on side. Now with both
buttons pressed in mind you...you have to open the darn thing. Once done...you realize that it
opens like a giant clam, and that it doesn't fully open at that. The drive bays are attached to one
side, the motherboard etc...to the other. There isn't a screw in the whole thing (a plus), but access
to everything sucks big time. Furthermore...it is cheap and flimsy being all constructed from
plastic with a small metal frame inside.Click to expand...

see also http://www.opentechsupport.net/forums/archive/topic/4596-1.html and search for the word "open"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-remove-the-cover-from-my-dell-dimension-8100-would-love-to-hear-how.18434/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a year old Dell XPS tower with drivers drive XPS - new loading Dell hard problem 8100, W installed The hard drive has partially failed I bought a new hard drive and downloaded and installed W from Microsoft I had forgotten that when I Dell XPS 8100, new hard drive - problem loading drivers bought my computer from Best Buy the sales person said I did not need any recovery disks because they were already available on the PC I think they might have meant I needed to create a system image - regardless I have no recovery disks and can't create a system image because there are some files that Windows is not able to locate even though they are in the directory When I tried to connect my PC to the internet wirelessly I got a message indicating that there were no connections available Same response when I plug in the internet cable I do not have problems accessing the internet with the old drive installed I figured this must be because I need to install drivers I located the drivers on Dell's website which included the network drivers I took the option to download the files and create an iso file The iso file gets created but when I burn it to DVD it is no longer an iso file Instead I see multiple files and folders When I try to look at any of the files or folders Windows says it can't Dell XPS 8100, new hard drive - problem loading drivers locate the file Although these are supposed to be drivers I do not see any dll files I read that my computer has two chipset drivers and that these need to be loaded before any other drivers However when I try this I still get the same result What am I doing wrong This has been an exasperating experience Thanks - Ed Seigler

A:Dell XPS 8100, new hard drive - problem loading drivers

Have tried booting the computer from the DVD you created?  Insert the DVD while the computer is running, shut down the computer, restart.

Give a link to the Dell instructions for creating the DVD.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/513999/dell-xps-8100-new-hard-drive-problem-loading-drivers/
Relevancy 56.33%

I m trying to get a little more life out of my Dell Dimension MHz OS and BIOS upgraded to XP SP a couple years ago by upgrading the RAMBUS RDRAM RIMM from MB to GB i e x MB PC ns non-ECC modules to x MB PC ns ECC modules that I recently purchased on eBay I ve tried removing the two s and installing the four s and I ve tried installing two of the s along with the two s In either case the setup screen correctly recognizes the installed modules but the boot process hangs even in safe mode The disk drive light seems to be flashing in a sequence that repeates every or seconds I ve waited up to a half hour for the machine to boot but nothing happens I thought about the non-ECC ECC angle but I ve never read anything reliable that says the can t take ECC Even so installing the non-ECC and ECC together should have defaulted the ECC to non-ECC nbsp

Relevancy 56.33%

I inherted a Dell Dimension 8100 from niece that would not boot.
She said she had replaced hard drive 3 times. I noticed on setup that only
floppy drive showed up in boot sequence section. Could not boot from floppy.
Placed xp install cd in cd drive and it came up and I ran repair section. It worked
and I was able to reboot from c drive. About a week later, system crashed and am back to same problem. The only real clue I have is that after it rebooted the first time, a number of directories had the same creation date as when I ran
the repair. Any ideas? Thanks, Gary

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimension-8100-wont-boot-setup-shows-only-floppy-available.44072/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have Dell Dim whose performance and virtual memory problems have me looking seriously into replacing it by buying a new desktop The three things I do not like in my current system are Low RAM MB but old and expensive to replace This is the main stumbling block as the system slows down and jams up multiple times during a day And frankly I am hesitant to take on the challenge of adding Upgrading 8100 replacing motherboard - option Dim an is a the Solved: Dell memory due to lack of experience I almost bought the memory but Solved: Upgrading a Dell Dim 8100 - is replacing the motherboard an option then worried about bios - and how out of date they were etc USB Drive - I believe it has the old USB drive that is awfully slow The processor is slow although I could live with it I have a large relatively new hard drive GB and other Solved: Upgrading a Dell Dim 8100 - is replacing the motherboard an option peripherals are sufficient for my needs Is refurbishing the system by replacing the two components I do not like an option If so what d I need - and how could I go about it given that I am not technically savvy Would love to find a way to keep on with the same system as it has the software setup I need Thanks a lot nbsp

A:Solved: Upgrading a Dell Dim 8100 - is replacing the motherboard an option

The first thing to consider is if you install a new mobo then you will have reinstall windows and software.
Secondly as I understand it fitting an "off the shelf" mobo may prove differcult as Dell have there own custom mobos.
It might be easier to buy a new case, install new mobo etc and use what you can from the Dell pc, hard drive, optical drives, floppy etc

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-upgrading-a-dell-dim-8100-is-replacing-the-motherboard-an-option.482946/
Relevancy 56.33%

Greetings,

Computer- Dell Inspiron 8100
Problem- Admin Bios Password

I have tried numoerous things, and in the end seems eeprom is only way to reset this.

I looked and looked, it says under motherboard, yet I never found a "24OC" 4 legged chip on the board to reset.

This cpu is 7 yrs old.

So far no luck fixing this one or my Toshiba and have both been reduced to eeprom reset as only viable option.

TY,

XaNaToS

A:Cant find EEprom on Dell Inspiron 8100 (admin bios pw)

All Dell (and others) BIOS and Admin password removal to this thread only:

--> HP / Dell / etc. Laptop password help (April - June 2008)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-find-eeprom-on-dell-inspiron-8100-admin-bios-pw.102977/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello to one and all I have an issue that I am in need of help with A few unlocking with hard drive a a passord a from help i Inspirion Dell 8100 locked need months i need help unlocking a hard drive locked with a passord from a Dell Inspirion 8100 ago I posted a plea for help with a Dell Inspirion laptop that I have A so called former friend locked up the laptop with administrator password and disabled the ability to boot the laptop via boot disk CD USB or anything else etc I sent a request of help to a gentleman by the call of Rustam and a i need help unlocking a hard drive locked with a passord from a Dell Inspirion 8100 few weeks ago he provided a master password to clear the dell grey screen asking for the password I was very grateful for i need help unlocking a hard drive locked with a passord from a Dell Inspirion 8100 the gesture of help I managed to bypass the screen only to get another gray screen telling me that the hard drive has been encrypted with another password I have tried to send an S O S to Rustam but he has not answered for one reason or another My question is as follow does anyone know of a way without having to shell out any money be able to unlock the hard drive so I can retrieve the data that I need as I don t have a backup of it Any ideas on how or where to look for futher info would be really appreciated nbsp

A:i need help unlocking a hard drive locked with a passord from a Dell Inspirion 8100

the only way i could think of would be to use the drive as a slave in another system with it's own operating system. this may allow you to simply view and access all of your data as a second drive.

if you can't simply access it through windows, then you may need to use a recovery program to access it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-need-help-unlocking-a-hard-drive-locked-with-a-passord-from-a-dell-inspirion-8100.53118/