Windows Support Forum

Changing from Multiboot to single boot. Can't remove old HD

Q: Changing from Multiboot to single boot. Can't remove old HD

A while ago I bought some new big 1TB HD's and decided to install windows 7 Ultimate onto one of them. To make the transition from XP to 7 easier for me I decided to do a multiboot so i could switch back to XP if i needed something.

Once i had everything the way i wanted it and i was no longer using XP i decided to remove the old HD. Also it was an IDE and it was cluttering up the inside of my computer. Now whenever I unplug the original HD i get a boot disk failure.

my guess is that my computer is looking to the C drive for where to boot windows 7 but I dont know how to change it so that it looks to that HD instead. If someone could give me some advice on this subject i would be grateful. I'm hoping that I can solve this with software or commands.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Changing from Multiboot to single boot. Can't remove old HD

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Changing from Multiboot to single boot. Can't remove old HD

This document might assist you in changing the way your PC looks for Windows...I know it has helped me when I've changed from dual boot configs or otherwise messed up boot configs.

Please note you don't have to follow the recovery steps if you are able to boot, if you are able to boot simply boot into safe mode with command prompt and then execute the commands.

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

You will probably be most interested in the /scanos command. I hope this helps you accomplish your task

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/192935-changing-multiboot-single-boot-cant-remove-old-hd.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I'm looking to install a few different OS onto one hard drive and just need a bit of help with what to and what not to do =]

Operating systems:

Windows XP Professional 64-bit
Windows Vista Business 64-bit
Windows 7 64-bit
*Maybe* Ubuntu but I'm not 100% sure on that yet

Ideally want it on one partitioned hard drive. I already have Windows 7 64-bit installed on the hard drive, but I have left a large chunk of unallocated space for new partitions.

I'm getting some conflicting information from the internet (what's new!), with some saying you should install the oldest OS first and some saying the newest first. I also heard that BIOS only boots from the first 1024 cylinders of the hard drive.

How shall I go about doing this and will I need to re-install windows 7 again?

Cheers!

A:Multiboot several OS on a single HD

ideally you should install oldest first, logically vista and windows 7 werent invented when xp was so why should it know how to incorporate them into boot ?

if you already have windows 7 installed you can still install xp then vista np, but you will then need to to get all of the OS working in the bootloader using bcedit, personally i use easybcd which makes life a lot simpler.

so partition all drives as primary , assuming windows 7 is at the start of the drive and this is where the bootloader will live ..... then install xp to 2nd or 3rd partition , then install vista to the next and booting into vista download and run easy bcd and identify windows 7 and xp incorporating them into your bootloader.

you should then have 3 options on boot , one for each OS ............

having a recovery disk for vista or windows 7 is a good idea just incase it all goes pear shaped so you can always get back into your win7 install :)

google for specific issues and post back here if you can't get xp to work ?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/multiboot-several-os-on-a-single-hd-456657.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hello System is as follows I ve got TWO RAID arrays created on a ware Array - - Gig drives in RAID Array to drive change XP dual Remove single boot, - Mirror Gig drives When initially built XP was installed on array Works fine Later I installed XP on array Again works fine When booting windows offers to let me boot from either array Problem I am no longer using the Array and would like to delete it upgrade etc and use it only for data and not have the system depend on it I tried just removing those dives however the remaining array drive won t boot Remove XP dual boot, change to single drive Either no boot device available not sure but I may recall seeing an error about NTLDER SYS not being found Tried copying the hidden system files from array onto array but didnt help Any suggestions on getting the correct boot sector ini stuff Remove XP dual boot, change to single drive written to the other array so it will boot Many Thanks R Cobb http FloridaPhoto com nbsp

A:Remove XP dual boot, change to single drive

Try this, it will at least show you the boot ini if it is on the root of the drive array

If you are using any Windows NT line of operating systems that use the NTLDR bootloader (ie, Windows XP) you can apply a small trick during bootup for NTLDR to display more information before startup.

1. Boot into the Windows Advanced Boot Menu by tapping F8.
2. Hit <esc> to go to the OS Selection Screen.
3. At this screen, type in unsupporteddebug while the menu is displayed. Keep in mind there is nothing displayed to tell you what is being typed. After typing the above, the boot ini Path and Options will be automatically displayed at the bottom of the screen. If there is more than one OS selection you can use up down arrow keys to show each entry in the boot ini.

Note* Attempting to go back to a different menu (By pressing F5 or F8) may crash NTLDR or corrupt the first line of the display do to a buffer overrun bug. I recommend just restarting again by pressing the power button or Hit enter when done to continue booting.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/remove-xp-dual-boot-change-to-single-drive.784298/
Relevancy 64.5%

Tried tackling this one single-handedly to begin with and failed I have Windows and Windows Server R installed as a dual boot different partitions single HDD I want to remove the Windows partition and keep the Win I do NOT want to lose anything from the Win partition Taken from Disk Management Disk with partitions st - Healthy Primary partition MB single dual remove boot How 2008 and from Win Windows to OS 7 - Server I thought this was system reserve but its not leftover space from a previous partition change It's currently mounted and completely empty nd - Unallocated space mb rd - Windows OS Healthy - system active primary partition th - Windows Server OS Healthy - boot page file crash dump primary partition th - Unallocated space mb'ish I haven't been using Windows for years and want to clean this drives partitions up because it's messy How to remove single OS from dual boot - Windows 7 and Win Server 2008 and wasting space I just need windows server as it's been used as a server for years and that's all I need it for now I want to safely remove the windows installation and merge that partition along with the st and unallocated spaces back into a single partition where windows server resides Now I've tried tackling this myself and failed I stupidly made the windows server partition as active which killed my boot and took me forever to repair with zero loss fortunately Sadly it was as simple as using diskpart in a command prompt from win How to remove single OS from dual boot - Windows 7 and Win Server 2008 boot disk to make win partition active again So how do I do this The boot manager must be on the win partition as removing active killed it The windows boot during startup is long removed system boots directly to windows

A:How to remove single OS from dual boot - Windows 7 and Win Server 2008

boot into win7 and move the bootmgr to the win 2008 partition. It will mark that partition active as well.
Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD

now reboot into win 2008 and situation will be:
3rd - Windows 7 OS (Healthy - primary partition)
4th - Windows 2008 Server OS (Healthy - system,boot, page file, crash dump, active, primary partition)

Correct? If so .. now you can remove the win7 partition. And of course update the bootmenu so win7 is not in list anymore

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/263715-how-remove-single-os-dual-boot-windows-7-win-server-2008-a.html
Relevancy 63.64%

I ve got a gig hard drive divided into a primary C partition and a second logical partition E drive I also have a separate hard drive which is D which I use for backups This is a dual boot system - the C drive has Windows ME on it which I don t use anymore and the E drive has Windows XP Pro I m wanting to find out if I can turn this dual boot system into a single boot system Changing to Dual Boot Single System System Boot so that I just have Windows XP on my system Windows XP is now on the E partition I d like to avoid having to reinstall the XP operating system and having to re-install all my applications etc Is there a way to simplify this process of going from an ME XP dual boot setup to an XP setup Is there some automatic way to use so that XP and the applications on E will now migrate to C I d appreciate tips and suggestions on how to accomplish this I have Partition Magic so I can use that if it s helpful Thanks very much Please Changing Dual Boot System to Single Boot System feel free to e-mail directly email protected nbsp

A:Changing Dual Boot System to Single Boot System

Hi jsaffer,
Have a look here :
http://www.petri.co.il/remove_windows_98.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-dual-boot-system-to-single-boot-system.272309/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi, I have a multiboot setup, with XP on my C: drive and Win7 on G:, but I want to remove the hard drive with XP on it and just stick with Win7. Problem is, C: is considered the "system" disk, so I can't remove the hard drive and just have Win7, which is what I want to do.

Here's a screenshot of my setup:
C: = XP
E: = Partition on the C drive
D: = various data, no OS
G: = Win7

Can I use the same bootsect.exe solution that SIW2 recommended for another user who posted here (Drakmyth)? I would greatly appreciate any help before I do something stupid and accidentally nuke my computer.

Thanks very much in advance,
Andy

A:Changing "System" disk on an XP/7 multiboot setup

Welcome!

It is actually pretty simple to remove the XP drive. Just unplug it, and run Startup Repair if 7 won't boot.

Hope this helps,
~JK

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/57385-changing-system-disk-xp-7-multiboot-setup.html
Relevancy 55.04%

quick question: Do I need to re-install Windows 7 when I change from an AMD single core to a dual core?

Relevancy 54.61%

First let me provide a little background The computer I am using was previously a university laptop and Profile of User Changing the Single a Folder because of that it remained a member of the university domain long after Changing the Profile Folder of a Single User I left the school and the physical network Last night I decided to separate my machine from the domain by changing it to a Workgroup instead After doing this which required I clear the administrator account password from the machine my primary user ntaylor which was imported from the domain was removed from the list of available users on the machine and I became unable to log into it because it did not represent a valid local profile I have since created another ntaylor and Vista created a profile folder for it called ntaylor V under C Users If at all possible I would like to remap the profile directory C Users ntaylor V to C Users ntaylor so that I may resume using my account with all of my settings I haven t reformatted in almost a year so manually migrating my settings would force me to reconfigure a completely unreasonable number of applications I read this guide http joshmouch wordpress com change-user-profile-folder-location-in-vista and it is kind of the right idea except for the fact that I am not moving any directories and I am only remapping registry data for a single user I m thinking if I just do a find and replace C Users ntaylor v with C Users ntaylor in the registry I might maybe be okay but I can also see this going horribly wrong I m not too sure The ntaylor V account has no settings or data I need to maintain so protecting that data is irrelevant I just need it to load from a different directory Any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 54.61%

Hello After attempting to change the display language on my Chinese Surface Pro and also after much head-to-wall slamming I have come to the conclusion that my computer is likely a single language version why does this even exist seriously This is my winver So I've then resolved to reinstall windows with an English version Surface Pro - 4 Changing Single Version Language There are some questions I have regarding this Is the best only way to do it through Surface Pro 4 - Changing Single Language Version the Window's Media creation tool Would a refresh windows or something similar do the trick Is there a hidden partition on my computer with a system restore function What about product keys and such Surface Pro 4 - Changing Single Language Version Windows came with my computer obviously Surface Pro 4 - Changing Single Language Version and I don't know of any product keys Will I need one when I install windows through a Window's Media creation tool Finally to use the Window's Media creation tool is there a tutorial for this I downloaded it from the microsoft website but it runs in Chinese Thanks for any help much appreciated

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/51137-surface-pro-4-changing-single-language-version.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi everyone,

In about a month, a group of German students is coming to visit my school and two of them will be staying at my house.

In order to make them feel welcome, I thought I'd make some separate accounts on my computer. After some fiddling, I've found that the way XP does this is completely useless- buries the advanced options way way down (I haven't even found the options for personalized desktop and start menu).

Anyway, I came up with two questions I could not figure out on my own.

First, how can I change the interface language for one account (not system-wide) and make it display every dialogue-if only windows itself- in German? Any instructions I found on the microsoft KB were totally useless and simply did not work the way they were described.

Second, how can I set it so that each user has a separate desktop?

Thanks in advance

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/changing-the-display-language-for-a-single-account-33711.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi,
I would like to ask for advice.
I have W8,W7,Wxp working well in multiboot. But i have W8 instaled in C:but it is the 2nd partition.How can i move it to first partition ?W7 and wxp are probably on the 1st D: partition.
is there any solution ?

thank you for your ideas
o.J.

A:w8,w7,wxp, multiboot -how to move partitions/boot sector

Welcome to EightForums.

Can you post a full screen shot of Disk management?

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Eight Forums

What partitions are Win XP, Windows 7, & Windows 8, what is G:?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/17359-w8-w7-wxp-multiboot-how-move-partitions-boot-sector.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I dual boot win 2k and XP and will be adding Linux at some point. Every so often I like to clean everything out and reinstall everything. Generally I use the settings and files transfer wizard but I was wondering if I can do an unattended installation using a sysdiff difference file or if the multiboot configuration would hamper that. If I run sysdiff /snap after I install 2000 I would want to run sysdiff /diff after I finish customizing that install correct? But then I will not be able to use sysdiff to create a difference file for win XP because it will take a snapshot of the xp install and the 2000 install correct? Is that going to cause a problem? Ah, and then there is the Linux installation. What will become of that in a difference file? Let me know if you have any experience with using sysdiff on a dualboot system. Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-sysdiff-on-a-dual-boot-or-multiboot-system.92731/
Relevancy 54.18%

I System Multiboot 3: Boot Windows 10 Issue Can't on posted my hardware specs in this other thread Here I will start by describing my partition layout All linux partitions Issue 3: Can't Boot Windows 10 on Multiboot System are formated as ext Issue 3: Can't Boot Windows 10 on Multiboot System all Windows partitions are NTFS Disk Vertex GB SSD quot MBR partition scheme - MB boot for Linux grub - GB Windows Ultimate - GB OpenSUSE root - GB Linux Mint root Disk Toshiba GB quot GPT partition scheme - GB Programs Linked to Windows Ultimate for Program Files ProgramData folders - GB Users Linked to Windows Ultimate for all Users folders - GB Linux swap partition - GB OpenSUSE usr partition - GB OpenSUSE home partition - GB Linux Mint usr partition - GB Linux Mint home partition - GB Windows - GB space for VMs Disk White Label TB quot all NTFS partitions GB Archive space GB Video Vault GB Extended partition GB Logical partition for VMs Disk Seagate TB ST AS just upgraded drive firmware to CC from CC - GB unallocated space GB Express-Recovery NTFS amp grub dos boot loader GB Windows Home Premium GB OpenSUSE GB NTFS-Risky - GB unallocated space The Seagate drive is my old system drive which is failing but not quite dead yet I moved Issue 3: Can't Boot Windows 10 on Multiboot System things around through backups restores and left the beginning and end unallocated as that was where the errors were mostly occurring The firmware upgrade didn't seem to help but thought I'd give it a shot The SSD Toshiba drives are quot notebook drives so they don't consume much power I was given the GB SSD and this is what I'm using it for Man does it ever speed up booting Because it's so small I created symbolic links mklink D over to separate partitions on the Toshiba drive for Programs drive P and Users drive U Even with that the SSD partition for Windows Ultimate is very bloated and I reduced the partitions for Linux to free more space for Windows on the SSD When I looked yesterday I had GB free Now it's down to so it must be Windows Updates b c I haven't installed anymore software Windows is so freakin inefficient and bloated My Home Premium system originally had GB devoted to it and I was constantly juggling files to free space But that also had evolved over years with TONs of apps and personal data in Users so the upgrade to Ultimate must come with a lot of extra stuff The only issue I have seen with the symbolic links is that some updates won't install and the windows experience rating won't complete and tell you it's findings it takes forever runs the benchmarks but then doesn't reveal it's findings It is very apparent to me that Microsoft's code quality and testing sucks if they can't consistently follow symbolic links or junction points Before I moved these OS images onto the SSD there was no problem with updates I didn't try the rating before I migrated I know I know The background was TL R Onto the problem at hand how to get Windows to boot How I got Windows installed I made a full image backup of the base Windows Ultimate after installing the Windows updates and adding a few other programs I removed all the drives and added a Samsung GB quot drive and restored the base SSD image resized the partition to make space for the Programs and Users partitions then restored those partitions I then used GParted to resize all of the partitions shrinking the Programs and Users to bare minimum and increasing the Windows so it would all fit as a single quot normal quot partition When all that moving around was done I rebooted and all worked as expected I then inserted my Windows Pro DVD and proceeded to upgrade the system hours later it was done Don't know why it took so long unless it was just a slow drive An GB drive is pretty old after all I don't see a date on the drive at least none I recognize Ultimate was installed with it's Boot folder on the same drive as SYSROOT there were no quot reserved quot partitions involved only a single partition for every... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/388840-issue-3-cant-boot-windows-10-multiboot-system.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi Everyone I have been having a challenge with changing from RAID back to single 0 drive Challenge changing from RAID to a single drive whilst retaining the data from the RAID array To date I have performed the following Partitioned the single drive so that it closely matches the partitions on the RAID array Used XXClone to quot clone quot the contents of each partition on the RAID array to corresponding partitions on the single drive I have two partitions one for the operating system Win and programs and the other for data All appears to be good on the single drive when I boot up from the RAID array and then look at files in Windows Explorer However when I remove the RAID array and set the BIOS to non-raid I Challenge changing from RAID 0 back to single drive cannot seem to boot from the single drive Windows is presenting the following error Status xc e Info The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible I have booted from the Windows install DVD and selected the quot Repair quot option From there I have Selected quot Startup Repair quot Couldn't do it Gone to a prompt and issued the quot x boot bootsect exe nt all quot command Rebooted - no improvement Gone to a prompt and issued different flavours of the quot bootrec quot command Rebooted - no improvement I notice at the System Recovery Options screen that Win is listed as the OS the partition size is given as and the Location is given as Unknown quot local disk quot ' Basically the quot Repair quot options cannot find the installation Can anybody offer advice on how I can go about getting my single drive to boot I have Googled this and it would seem that most people can't get past this speed hump I have considered creating a system image but I figure that I may just end up in the same predicament because the hardware configuration is being changed Any help will be greatly appreciated Kind Regards Davo

A:Challenge changing from RAID 0 back to single drive

I don't think its possible to clone a RAID array to a single HD.

Best to copy off the data and clean install to the single HD while none other are plugged.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/102120-challenge-changing-raid-0-back-single-drive.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi all,

I am going to be retiring two RAID 1 HDD's and replacing them with a single SSD and I'm a bit fuzzy on the steps involved. I have all my data saved externally so I'll be doing a clean install of Windows 7 Pro x64. I have set it to non-RAID in the RAID menu but I'm not sure when I should change the BIOS to AHCI. Do I do that while I still have the HDD's plugged in or during the initial set-up of the SSD?

A:Changing from RAID to single drive, question about install

Unplug the HD's, plug in the SSD, boot up and tap the F2 to enter BIOS Setup. Reset BIOS to defaults, set SATA controller to AHCI, set SSD to boot first.

Then reboot tapping the F12 key to boot the latest official Win7 installer with SP1, follow the same steps as for a Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 to get and keep a perfect install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/292178-changing-raid-single-drive-question-about-install.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I had to reinstall W7 Pro X64 on my home PC to cure problems with sleep/hibernation.

After reinstalling, I found a single user account had been created named "DELL".

All my previous software (now stored in Windows.Old) referred to user name "Brian". So I changed the name of the DELL account to "Brian". But I then found that although the user folders are sometimes shown as "Brian", at others they are shown as "DELL".

How do I make the change of account name effective for all the relevant user folders? There is no facility to rename C:\Users\DELL; is there some other way?

A:After reinstalling Windows 7, problem with changing (single) user name

Quote: Originally Posted by hershmab

I had to reinstall W7 Pro X64 on my home PC to cure problems with sleep/hibernation.

After reinstalling, I found a single user account had been created named "DELL".

All my previous software (now stored in Windows.Old) referred to user name "Brian". So I changed the name of the DELL account to "Brian". But I then found that although the user folders are sometimes shown as "Brian", at others they are shown as "DELL".

How do I make the change of account name effective for all the relevant user folders? There is no facility to rename C:\Users\DELL; is there some other way?

Welcome Hershmab to the windows 7 forums.

The best advice I can give you is to create a userid for Brian making sure that it has the same security level as you used to have. Then log off dell and log on to brian and copy all the files to your new userid and then you can remove the Dell userid after your satisfied that everything is there.

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/188460-after-reinstalling-windows-7-problem-changing-single-user-name.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi Everyone I have been having a challenge with changing from RAID to a single drive whilst retaining the data from the RAID array To date I Challenge changing RAID single back from drive 0 to have performed the following Partitioned the single drive so that it closely matches the partitions on the RAID array Used XXClone to quot clone quot the contents of Challenge changing from RAID 0 back to single drive each partition on the RAID array to corresponding partitions on the Challenge changing from RAID 0 back to single drive single drive I have two partitions one for the operating system Win and programs and the other for data All appears to be good on the single drive when I boot up from the RAID array and then look at files in Windows Explorer However when I remove the RAID array and set the BIOS to non-raid I cannot seem to boot from the single drive Windows is presenting the following error Status xc e Info The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible I have booted from the Windows install DVD and selected the quot Repair quot option From there I have Selected quot Startup Repair quot Couldn t do it Gone to a prompt and issued the quot x boot bootsect exe nt all quot command Rebooted - no improvement Gone to a prompt and issued different flavours of the quot bootrec quot command Rebooted - no improvement I notice at the System Recovery Options screen that Win is listed as the OS the partition size is given as and the Location is given as Unknown quot local disk quot Basically the quot Repair quot options cannot find the installation Can anybody offer advice on how I can go about getting my single drive to boot I have Googled this and it would seem that most people can t get past this speed hump I have considered creating a system image but I figure that I may just end up in the same predicament because the hardware configuration is being changed Any help will be greatly appreciated Kind Regards Davo nbsp

A:Challenge changing from RAID 0 back to single drive

have you entered bios setup and switched off the raid stuff

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/challenge-changing-from-raid-0-back-to-single-drive.940825/
Relevancy 53.75%

This computer different one than I posted about before is XP-XP- RC and the boot files are all on one of the XP partitions I would like to end up with XP-XP- new install and the Windows boot files on a Windows created separate MB partition and the XP boot files left where they are I have this in mind Boot into XP delete all the RC boot files then format the RC partition Boot to the new DVD delete the old boot in RC multiboot Get 100MB on & Replace part. files RC partition and hope that Windows might create the MB separate partition for the boot files when installing Replace RC in multiboot & Get boot files on 100MB part. itself Recover the XP boot with EasyBCD Another option Boot into new DVD Replace RC in multiboot & Get boot files on 100MB part. delete the RC partition make partitions one is MB and install to the other If puts the boot files back on the XP partition likely then move its boot files to the MB partition with something like this method Moving Boot manager to Different Drive post Does this sound feasible I could just install new over old and leave the boot files to stay where they are but where's the challenge in that And with boot files arranged as I propose it should make future reinstalls of XP or easier

A:Replace RC in multiboot & Get boot files on 100MB part.

looks to me, you are making thing harder for yourself.

Check Your first post.

Replace one XP in XP-XP-Windows7 multiboot

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/65105-replace-rc-multiboot-get-boot-files-100mb-part.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Windows bootloader used to show some glitchy graphics instead of W logo from time to time however until now it usually managed to get it's job done launch Windows or Windows Until now Well it's now stuck to Windows for some reason Most often it shows it's distorted graphics then it launches Win w o asking This renders Win unbootable If that's relevant a Win came preinstalled then I put Win next to it and then I proceeded with on Mint a boot won't Win7/Win8/Linux 8 multiboot Windows Mint b Because of that it is GRUB that shows first when the laptop starts Windows bootloader can only be launched from GRUB c Secure Boot was disabled by default d IIUC the boot is set to Legacy Bios not UEFI e I switched off fast startup at Win before installing Mint f I can launch Windows from Windows installation media but Automatic Repair fails to repair anything I was hoping that maybe Automatic Repair could reinstall Windows bootloader even if it got rid of GRUB in the process but then hopefully I could restore GRUB - or not g I'm really too slobby I lost Windows installation media somewhere Perhaps I could find it by searching up the whole flat OK how to fix this Y I know attempting to have three OSes installed on one Windows 8 won't boot on a Win7/Win8/Linux Mint multiboot laptop w o having deep knowledge about boot-related things was asking for problems but still I need Linux and I need Windows

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/windows-8-wont-boot-on-a-win7-win8-linux-mint-multiboot-911546.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Okahe here's the problem. I used yumi multiboot usb creator to put my windows 7 disk and ultimate boot cd onto my usb. I created a avast rescue disk with my avast and I found that this disk has a bootmgr and windows 7 install disk also has a bootmgr so I cant put them both on the flash drive. I've tried grub chainloading the windows 7 iso but when I try tp install it says "Load Driver" and when I grub chainload the avast iso it doesnt complete. I have tried making a partition and puting the windows files on the one partition and the avast files on the other and then grub chainloading the hiden partitions which does the same. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe Ive skipped something

A:Build multiboot USB to boot both windows 7 install disk and avast

I would use a backup image of your completed install with Avast (and anything else) already installed. This is the modern way to replace slipstreamed installers, although you can try slipstreaming Avast into the Win7 ISO using 7Lite.

To apply image to different hardware then you'd either first SysPrep to move HD to another computer before applying the image to new hardware, or once you've applied it if it won't then Adjust Win7 to boot on new hardware with Paragon Adaptive Restore CD

You can also create and apply the image with Acronis with Universal Restore. This is not the free version provided with any WD or Seagate HD which is also recommended.

Or you can use Win7 backup imaging or the preferred alternative here: Macrium - Image your system

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/325446-build-multiboot-usb-boot-both-windows-7-install-disk-avast.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I am selling my current pc and have backed everything up to my NAS. I want to remove the OS and leave it as a blank slate so I can sell the pc on. What is the best way to go about this?

I do have the original Windows 7 disk but it's in a sleeve (and I've packed the box with the key on as I'm moving house this weekend).

Thanks

A:How do I remove Windows 7 (Single OS)?

Pull the drive and connect it to your current pc and format it.

You could have used your windows disc to format it, or run the clean or clean all command.

I would just get your disc to do it, I mean how long will it take you to get it ?

30 seconds

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe...hard-drive.htm

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/344340-how-do-i-remove-windows-7-single-os.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello everyone. I got some dirt stuck under a key and before I try and break something, I wanted to know if the keys of the X1 Yoga are removable, as the ones on the older ThinkPads. The manual doesn't mention replacing single keys. Has anyone tried? Thanks!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-remove-single-key/td-p/3332244
Relevancy 50.74%

I used to have a W system in IDE MBR and since I had to reinstall everything from sratch I decided to set my drives to up Single in OS Boot boot manager options? and showing Windows BIOS AHCI UEFI GPT After install I checked the BIOS settings and saw that in my Boot Options I had the Windows Boot Manager set as my SSD set as and DVD drive as When I change the Single OS and Windows boot manager showing up in BIOS Boot options? boot priority and set my SSD as my computer won't boot and asks Single OS and Windows boot manager showing up in BIOS Boot options? for a bootable device although the system is install on my SSD I don't have a multiboot system there's only W present so why do I have a Windows Boot Manager in my BIOS I thought it was only for multi boot systems so I don't get why it's showing up here When I go to msconfig startup there's only one system displayed W Since I'm new to AHCI GPT I don't know what's normal and what's not If it's not normal how come I got this Windows Boot Manager in my BIOS Maybe the old MBR wasn't erased even though I ran a secure Erase on my SSD

A:Single OS and Windows boot manager showing up in BIOS Boot options?

Windows Boot Manager is standard on a UEFI/GPT disk. 

See this post for an explanation.

A more detailed explanation is here under the UEFI boot manager

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579355/single-os-and-windows-boot-manager-showing-up-in-bios-boot-options/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello I'm trying to convert back to using just Win after having a successful dual to - & 7 Vista64 boot convert single HDDs 2 How Win dual to from boot boot setup for a few years now However the multiple runs of the Win startup repair have not moved the system files to my Win HDD Here is the data from the BCDEDIT command Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Windows system gt bcdedit Windows Boot Manager -------------------- identifier bootmgr How to convert from dual boot to single boot 2 HDDs - Win 7 & Vista64 device partition D path bootmgr How to convert from dual boot to single boot 2 HDDs - Win 7 & Vista64 description Windows Boot Manager locale en-US inherit globalsettings default current resumeobject dc - b- e - f f-fc c b de displayorder current ee a a - e - dd- -ce fc eea dc c- b- e - f f-fc c b de toolsdisplayorder memdiag timeout Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier current device partition C path Windows system winload exe description Windows locale en-US inherit bootloadersettings recoverysequence dc a- b- e - f f-fc c b de recoveryenabled Yes osdevice partition C systemroot Windows resumeobject dc - b- e - f f-fc c b de nx OptIn Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier ee a a - e - dd- -ce fc eea device partition D path Windows system winload exe description Microsoft Windows Vista locale en-US inherit bootloadersettings osdevice partition D systemroot Windows resumeobject ee a a - e - dd- -ce fc eea nx OptIn Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier dc c- b- e - f f-fc c b de device partition E path Windows system winload exe description Windows Vista TM Home Premium recovered locale en-US osdevice partition E systemroot Windows C Windows system gt I also would like to remove the bootup menu so the system boots straight into Win instead of waiting on a selection I suspect this will be remedied once I get the system files moved to the Win drive but wanted to note that request as well Thanks in advance for your help

A:How to convert from dual boot to single boot 2 HDDs - Win 7 & Vista64

Post back a screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

If Primary partitions you should be able to move the Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD - Windows 7 Forums. Make sure to mark C:Win7 Active.

If the OS you want to delete is on the left then you can use Partition Wizard to Resize Partition - Video Help.

Or equalize space between all partitions and unallocated space whether adjacent or not using How to extend partition easily with Partition Wizard - video help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/337245-how-convert-dual-boot-single-boot-2-hdds-win-7-vista64.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I have a pc with win vista on hdd and win on hdd both are a SATA connected disk drives the bcd boot boot a the ,wheres single pc pc make into a stored? dual system boots up on the win choice of o s but not with the make a dual boot pc into a single boot pc ,wheres the bcd stored? windows vista selection when the system has booted in win I can hear hdd restarting and spinning up so I m thinking that theres either a data parity error or a hardware issue with the disk drive what I would like to do is convert the pc to just run on windows because I dont really use the windows vista o s much if its a hardware fault I would like to replace the hard drive but only have a single o s on the system I would like to know where the BCD file is kept and also how to go about this task of going from a dual boot to single boot system with just the o s any help would be appreciated Brian sw

A:make a dual boot pc into a single boot pc ,wheres the bcd stored?

The Vista bootloader and the Win 7 bootloader are the same.

I can't answer your question but my guess would be that the boot files on are on the Win 7 hard drive, if it's the latter install.

I'd probably just install EasyBCD on the Win 7 drive...and then see if it automatically recognizes the Vista install. If not, then manually add the Vista install to EasyBCD, making Win 7 the default. That should (IMO) ensure that Win 7 remains bootable. Then just format/remove the Vista drive.

A simple way to find out...is to temporarily detach the Vista drive...and see if Win 7 boots. If it does, the files are on the Win 7 drive .

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/483571/make-a-dual-boot-pc-into-a-single-boot-pc-wheres-the-bcd-stored/
Relevancy 50.31%

Is there a way to remove an individual entry from the location bar menu rather than clearing the whole thing? (SeaMonkey browser)

A:Remove single entry from location bar??!?

This is in Firefox but Seamonky should be the same.

Just put your pointer on the entry and press the Delete key.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f131/remove-single-entry-from-location-bar-196970.html
Relevancy 50.31%

If it is possible to reconfigure WinXP (home or Pro) so there is only a single user, the "all-powerful" one, how is that done? I am the only real user, and my new machine has very little stuff on it, all replacable. I see that XP has the "Administrator" or "Owner" mode, which surely resembles what I intend to have as the sole and single subset of the OS. It also has "default user", and perhaps others, which were present when purchased. I have not created nor configured any of those modes or users.

So the basic questions are:
Is it acceptable to remove all those other "modes", leaving only the "Admin" mode?

If so, then may that mode be renamed?

Recognizing references to hacker-protection, are there other factors to consider?

Blessed Be;
UU7th

A:XP - Single-user. Remove other logins?

Default User should have the administrative powers. You should be able to remove the other users, and then, if you get a welcome screen and you don't want it, you can change the way you log on under "users" in the Control Panel. Be careful not to delete all users with Admin priveleges!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/22435/xp-single-user-remove-other-logins/
Relevancy 49.88%

My situation is almost identical to that of the OP in Convert Dual Boot to Single Boot HD's I have reverting Problem from Boot Dual Single to Boot HDDs both of Problem reverting from Dual Boot to Single Boot which are partitioned so that the OS and data files are on separate partitions Windows Home Premium is on a GB SATA i e serial HDD C drive and XP is on a GB IDE i e parallel HDD D drive The BCD file originally looked as follows - Code Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Windows system gt bcdedit Windows Boot Manager -------------------- identifier bootmgr device partition D description Windows Boot Manager locale en-US inherit globalsettings default current resumeobject be a - - df- -ebb f displayorder ntldr current toolsdisplayorder memdiag timeout Windows Legacy OS Loader ------------------------ identifier ntldr device partition D path ntldr description Earlier Version of Windows Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier current device partition C path Windows system winload exe description Windows locale en-US inherit bootloadersettings recoverysequence be a - - df- -ebb f recoveryenabled Yes osdevice partition C systemroot Windows resumeobject be a - - df- -ebb f nx OptIn C Windows system gt As I no longer require XP and wish to either wipe the D drive or even physically remove it from the system I used BCDedit to remove the Legacy OS Loader As expected I no longer get the option to choose which OS to boot into and therefore boot straight into W However when I use the W DVD to do a Startup Repair the System Recovery Options window shows W in Location D and although I have run the repair a number of times I have been unable to make the C drive the System partition In Computer Management C shows as Healthy Boot Page File Active Crash Dump Primary Partition and D shows as Healthy System Active Primary Partition I then used DISKPART to make D inactive and actually saw D change to show as Healthy Active Primary Partition when I entered the command However when I next ran the Startup Repair it showed no OS and the radio button for Restore your computer using a system image you created earlier was already selected I then selected the alternative radio button Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting Windows Select an operating system to repair If your operating system isn t listed click Load Drivers and then install drivers for your hard disks I couldn t find any drivers so clicked on Next then selected Startup Repair only to find that D had been made Active again in Computer Management and when the Startup Repair was run again it showed Windows Location as D Can someone please tell me if I am doing something wrong or is there some other procedure that I should run in order to make C the System partition

A:Problem reverting from Dual Boot to Single Boot

Hello Nosmas, welcome to Seven Forums!

Before we make any specific recommendations will you please post a snip/screen-shot of the entire disk management drive map with a full description as to which drive/partition is which, so we can see what you have going on as there may be a fairly simple way to resolve the situation.

In the Windows start menu right click computer and click manage, in the left pane of the "Computer Management" window that opens click disk management and post a maximized snip of that.

How to Upload and Post a Screenshot and File in Seven Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/174355-problem-reverting-dual-boot-single-boot.html
Relevancy 49.88%

When I built my present PC I moved from XP to Vista Home Premium. I had one essential program that would not run on Vista so I created the necessary partitions and made the machine dual boot to either XP or Vista. That was three years ago and I now want to return to a single boot using Vista. Problem is that my vast Vista Technical volume (1500 pages!) covers creating dual boot but not return to single boot.

I know that I could simply delete the XP partition, format the existing Vista partition and go for a fundamental bottom up rebuild of my OS software but the prospect of reinstalling all my other programs/applications leaves me cold. Is there a straightforward way of just going back to Vista? I am not short of disc space so I could just leave the XP OS on the side where it is, there but not used.

A:Wind back dual boot to single boot OS

I would just leave it there. If its not a problem with space, thers no real reason to delete it. It also gives you the XP option, and if yo uhave a dual boot OS, you have a second way in- if yo udelete an essential system file and it doesnt boot, you can always reoplace it from the other OS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wind-back-dual-boot-to-single-boot-os.774141/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi I'm having issues with my system not booting I'm running Windows Ultimate Bit I've had the problem for a while now What happens is this The pre-boot my After boot. single system 'beep' doesn't computer runs through it's pre-boot routines then gives me the single beep to indicate that everything is ok Then nothing happens The screen goes black and I wait for Windows to appear but it doesn't Usually switching it off then starting it up again does the trick but clearly something is not right somewhere Last weekend my C Drive died and I just assumed that the problem had been a symptom of the progressive failure of that drive but now I've got a brand new drive and within half an hour of installing my system the issue has resurfaced Now I'm not sure whether After pre-boot single 'beep' my system doesn't boot. the issue is system or hardware related I'm also worried that the failure of my last C Drive might have been somehow caused by it Is there anything I can check or test to pin down exactly what is happening and resolve it Many thanks SJ

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/383238-after-pre-boot-single-beep-my-system-doesnt-boot.html
Relevancy 49.88%

This may be obvious but I don't want to muck things up
My system started off as Vista 64 bit and then I added Win 7 64 bit as a dual boot with the MBR in the Vista partition
What I would like to do is to add an SSD onto which I would migrate the existing Win 7 partition and make it bootable as a stand alone installation. Once this has been done I would add Win 10 to the SSD as a dual boot (a Win 10 Pro OEM is dirt cheap)

A:How to move from Win 7/Vista dual boot to single boot on an SSD

Should have looked at the help suggestions How to convert from dual boot to single boot 2 HDDs - Win 7 & Vista64
Now fixed

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/400024-how-move-win-7-vista-dual-boot-single-boot-ssd.html
Relevancy 49.88%

This happened about two days ago By going in chronological order I used to Windows How -> I fix setup do Single Dual-Boot Boot: 8? have a dual-boot setup a Windows and Windows on two different IDE GB hard drives named Drive A and Drive B respectively Both of these hard drives are quite old and I'm worried that it may be near the end of their life spans After buying a new SATAIII GB hard drive named Drive C I decided that I want to keep Windows and scrap Windows I like Windows but I digress So I burned a CD containing Parted Magic Dual-Boot setup -> Single Boot: How do I fix Windows 8? boot the Live CD used Dual-Boot setup -> Single Boot: How do I fix Windows 8? GParted to copy the System Reserved partition from Drive A all MB of it onto Drive C A few restarts afterwards reminded that me that I need to also copy the Windows partition GB from Drive B onto Drive C Then I removed Drive A with Windows intact and kept Drive B in And this is where I am as of now I've currently booted into Drive C meaning that I'm booting the Windows partition that was copied from Drive B to Drive C and here's what it looks like Can't tell if the image is working or it's being resized locally on this forum Now my problem is that if I were to remove Drive B the IDE GB one if you're following me Windows in Drive C will crash upon logging in with my account It is unable to load anything or even provide basic features such as shutting down restart etc I believed it's because Drive B is labeled as Volume C If I remove Drive B Volume D Windows in Drive C the GB one wouldn't exist therefore it's unable to load Windows correctly I'm looking for a solution that edits the BCD Boot Manager for Windows so that whenever I boot up the desktop computer I can boot into Windows in Drive C and safely remove Drive B the IDE GB one again if you're following First of all does anyone follow me through all of this If yes does anyone know how to achieve this solution Thanks in advance

A:Dual-Boot setup -> Single Boot: How do I fix Windows 8?

How to clone your IDE drive to a SATA drive.
How to Migrate OS to new Hard disk.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/24089-dual-boot-setup-single-boot-how-do-i-fix-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 49.88%

About a year ago I built myself a new PC quad core gigs of ram terabyte hard drive etc The problem is I was running XP home so over half my ram could to and boot drive go single repartition dual the boot old Want to from not be used I recently got a copy of XP Pro x and decided to duel boot to ensure I could Want to go from dual boot to single and repartition the old boot drive find all the drivers and make sure it's works fine I repartitioned my HDD only got the one so I now have three separate partitions c which XP home is on and is stuck with GB e which is my storage partition and i which has gb for XP pro So far everything is working Want to go from dual boot to single and repartition the old boot drive nicely What I want to do now is to remove XP home and stick with XP Pro x I would like to combine the c and i drives to a single partition and have XP Pro running from there Would I need to uninstall XP home from the c drive or can I know just send everything there to the recycle bin I was thinking of using my windows boot cd to delete all the partitions minus my big storage drive and create a new one from the ashes I would then just reinstalling XP on the newly created partition I figure that way would be much faster than to re-size the partitions as it took over hours to move gbs using Partition Magic What would be the best method to achieve what I want

A:Want to go from dual boot to single and repartition the old boot drive

Hi the quickest route back up what you want to keep to a usb device or disc then start from scratch or this http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...s-disk-manager is the other option

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/want-to-go-from-dual-boot-to-single-and-repartition-the-old-boot-drive-495744.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Can someone tell me how I can remove a single address visited from history

The ONLY way is to clear settings - but what if I don't want to do that

Let's say I was trying to visit www.techguy.com
And instead I typed www.techgur.com
Whether or not the wrong address had a valid link doesn't matter - the damn address stays in browser history
I'll find myself visiting the wrong address again and again and again!

I'll type the first few letters and will of course get the suggestions - from which I naturally choose the first one without looking
But even if I pay attention, it's annoying having the damn wrong address just popping up again!

Thanks
OM

Relevancy 49.88%

How do you remove a single or a few pictures at a time. I can remove all but what if I want to remove only a few?

A:Remove single images on Canon A560

you can do it when its connected to a computer, browse the memory card and delete what you do not want

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/remove-single-images-on-canon-a560.935559/
Relevancy 49.88%

I am creating an Access database to manage the contacts for a small charity. I want to use the charity's logo as a desktop icon. I have created a button for the database but it shows the shortcut arrow layer. is it possible to remove this from just one icon or is there a better way? The icon will sit on at least 5 machines

Thanks in advance

A:Is it possible to remove the shortcut layer for a single icon?

You could try what is shown on this youtube website & see if that works for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgThMMvsyGs

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/343013-possible-remove-shortcut-layer-single-icon.html
Relevancy 49.45%

In Chrome you can start typing a website and when the autocomplete comes up, press SHIFT-DEL to remove it. In Internet Explorer, you can just click on the black X in the autocomplete list that comes up.
In Edge - how do I remove a single site from history/autocomplete? For example. I typed in the wrong website www.facebok.com. Now, when I start typing "facebook" in Edge, it autocompletes to the wrong one "facebok" instead. I'd like to just remove the incorrect one from the list.

A:Remove a single website from address bar history / autocomplete?

Good question.
Following.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/edge/432592-remove-single-website-address-bar-history-autocomplete.html
Relevancy 49.02%

My computer has XP and Vista (Beta) on it. I no longer want to use Vista and want to free up that space. My hard drive has three partitions, XP, Vista, and storage.

How do I remove Vista and just use XP (which is my original OS)?

Oh, and I have Partition Magic installed on the XP side.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/going-from-dual-boot-to-single-boot-system.76927/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hey Guyz !!
First of all .... Since i'm new in town here, Accept HI to all here @ Sevenforums.

Now, i'm stuck with a problem .
I've a Dual Boot with Xp/Win 7 on my office Desktop workstation. Window7 is the beta version of the Win 7. And like all other companies.... my company also want it's wallpaper and screen-saver on each machine ..... But i somehow manage to install Window 7 on my office Desktop.
Now i want to remove Window 7 partition and restore my Xp MBR and that too without using Windows Xp Bootable CD ( as CDs are not allowed in my company )...

How can i restore my Xp MBR while accessing my Xp Partition as i already have deleted my Windows 7 partition ...

Thanx in advance

A:Restoring Dual boot Xp/Win 7 to single boot Xp

If you can't have CD's, then how did you install Windows 7 onto your machine?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/47040-restoring-dual-boot-xp-win-7-single-boot-xp.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I setup an XP/Win7 dual boot on two drives. Currently C: Win7, D:XP
Love Win7 and now I'm ready to convert to single boot win7.

I'm not real savy re. bcdedit so will need very detailed instructions
I did find the command line in win7 by going thru accessories but I'm scared to go further without help.

Eventually I want to clean up the D:xp and use it for storage etc.

I'm guessing this procedure may have already be written up but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for any help that comes my way.

A:Convert Dual Boot to Single Boot, 2 HD's

Quote: Originally Posted by GGibson

I setup an XP/Win7 dual boot on two drives. Currently C: Win7, D:XP
Love Win7 and now I'm ready to convert to single boot win7.

I'm not real savy re. bcdedit so will need very detailed instructions
I did find the command line in win7 by going thru accessories but I'm scared to go further without help.

Eventually I want to clean up the D:xp and use it for storage etc.

I'm guessing this procedure may have already be written up but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for any help that comes my way.

No problem bcdedit is here BCDEDIT - How to Use and its pretty easy to use. why dont you read the tut first and then ask questions?

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/22578-convert-dual-boot-single-boot-2-hds.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi there,

My taskbar initially only show the time, but this time i would like it to show the
day time
eg: 28th january 2016 at 3:30am will show:
28 3:30AM

i tried setting the short date under customize format "Date" tabs to dd, i only got time when the taskbar is at single line, and time, day of week , day when the taskbar is dragged to 2 lines.
How do i show everything in a single line?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/390419-how-remove-day-week-taskbar-time-section-when-single-line.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi,

some keys on the keyboard of my Z830 keyboard became sticky over time.

Is it possible to remove single keys, try to clean it and put the key back in, or is the key glued?

I wouldn't want to replace the whole keyboard, as most of the keys still work fine.

Thanks

A:Satellite Z830 - Remove/change single keys from keyboard

Hi

> Is it possible to remove single keys, try to clean it and put the key back in, or is the key glued?
The key caps are removable. But I?m not quite sure if caps cleaning would solve the ?sticky key issue?.

On Youtube you could find some interesting videos how to remove such key caps and to clean the area under the caps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSI0DPagnEQ

But be careful doing this.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?77004-Satellite-Z830-Remove-change-single-keys-from-keyboard
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi
I am working with a huge spreadsheet
I need to repeatably copy and paste from some cells to another document
(saving in another format is not effective for this job)

The cells that concern me are "text" - some of the cells in that column have been formatted as text and contain the ' - they have the single quote for left alignment
This is making my cut/paste job quite tedious
I would like to remove the quote mark so I don't have to not select it on copy or have to delete it on paste

I have tried selecting the column and making the number and alignment General (have tried many many things) and cannot make them go away.
I have tried a replace all to no avail

Is there anyway to globally (throughout this workbook) remove all of the single alignment quote marks?

Thank you
Beth

Relevancy 48.16%

Winbook with Windows XP Pro partition HD quot restore quot quot user quot partition GB quot partition info quot got some horrible virus- couldn t detect with multiple anti-virus prgrms online scanners Killed Windows Restore then internet then Winbook System Restore coping files from one folder to another writing to rewriteable CD and program after program when double-clicked to right issues won't AVG Virus??: single with Programs scan click. Add/Remove files run instead did not load and show splash screens but Comodo began Virus??: AVG won't scan single files with right click. Add/Remove Programs issues popping up error messages that some not always same one process or exe wanted increased rights control over other prgrms processes running in Task Manager etc Finally tried to Virus??: AVG won't scan single files with right click. Add/Remove Programs issues get as much datafiles off to USB flashdrives and CD then reinstalled xp pro with options of wiping the two partitions user and system restore DID NOT WIPE PARTION INFO partition Now funny stuff is happening st Add Remove Programs would not run until I put an icon on the desktop selected and right clicked Run As and unchecked the box for protection from rogue program activity nd Although it worked at first now AVG will not run scans on individual folders or files when they are right-clicked and quot Scan with AVG Freej quot is chosen from the pop-up list Looking at processes in Task Manager alphabatized shows NO activity in any AVG process when the right-click individual file folder scan is chosen Is this a lost association problem with the OS s right-click option and AVG s individual file Shell scan option and what about the sudden Add Remove Programs not working from the START- gt Control Panel- gt Add Remove Programs clicking Was running UnHackme rootkit tool till recently also Panda rootkit checker AVG anti-virus free PC Tools Spyware Doctor- no signs of anything but I smell virus trojan rootkit reinfection happening again What are the best online scanning or Free to Try programs to download to find an infection And oh god no do I have to lose everything reinstall Windows XP and wipe all three partions durning the install And what about the Master Boot Record I don t think the Windows installs cleans and rewrites this I could be wrong Am I And if it doesn t what do I use to clean the MBR if I have to reinstall nbsp

A:Virus??: AVG won't scan single files with right click. Add/Remove Programs issues

Post a HijackThis log and I'll tell you whether you're infected or not. This topic should be in the Malware Removal & HijackThis Logs forum just to let you know.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/virus-avg-wont-scan-single-files-with-right-click-add-remove-programs-issues.714831/
Relevancy 48.16%

I essentially decided to use my hard-drive for two different forms of Windows XP and -bit This was some time ago and it ended up with the -bit partition C as my system partition The -bit partition E was considered a Accidentally deleted partition Cannot boot Multiboot, System Partition. other logical drive and I used it almost entirely due to the fact that my CD Key for -bit will no longer work for whatever reason Eventually I decided that I needed the space from the old unused -bit partition and since both partitions had Windows installed on them I thought it d be no problem to just delete -bit and merge the remaining space with my -bit partition Unfortunately before I got that far I found out that my -bit partition no longer will boot After reading up on it I found out about the system partition and all that stuff that I messed up by deleting the -bit partition I ve tried to use the recovery console via boot CD but when using BootCFG the SCAN function doesn t recognize the -bit partition I ve verified that the files are still there installed another partition with windows and checked via explorer but even with an edited boot ini the Windows XP Home Edition -bit partition won t boot beyond the blue screen windows logo after quot Welcome quot Is there anyway to salvage and fix the partition I d rather avoid losing all the driver installations and registry keys I have on the other partition and would much rather just make that drive the system partition and only partition for now Anyone have ideas

A:Multiboot, Accidentally deleted System Partition. Cannot boot other partition

Oh. Also, when in Windows Setup, the 32-bit partition in question can be seen, and is stated as "in a format not suitable to Windows Installation" or similar. I can enter it in Recovery Console, but it does not recognize that Windows is installed on it. Partition table?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/423389/multiboot-accidentally-deleted-system-partition-cannot-boot-other-partition/
Relevancy 47.73%

I'm getting the following message when I boot XP Pro SP Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt lt Windows root gt system hal dll Please re-install a copy of the above file THIS boot error setup on "multiboot" hal.dll IS THE SECOND TIME IN MONTHS hal.dll boot error on "multiboot" setup that I've had this situation I thought I fixed it the last time by formatting the hard drive and reinstalling Win XP I DO NOT want to do this again Even if I fix this I know it will keep happening again and again How do I stop that from happening I've had XP Pro installed on this same machine since and I've NEVER had ANY problems until recently I remember I had some sort of unresolved problem with my hard drive where the system would mix up the drive letters of the five partitions on that drive to where I could no longer startup Windows Up became down black became white human sacrifice dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria Anyway I called a tech to come to my home and his advice was lengthy and complicated ultimately ending with doing drive letter acrobatics for a while in an attempt to backup my data and then wiping the hard drive and reinstalling and it would cost me close to with his help so I figured let me just get a second hard drive instead install XP on the new one and keep the current hard drive the way it is since hey at least I'd save all my data So that's exactly what I did Got a second hard drive installed it installed XP and ever since then I've been greeted with a multiboot screen Please select which operating system to start Microsoft Windows XP Professional -- this is the quot new quot installation on the newer hard drive Microsoft Windows -- this one comes from the old hard drive although the Windows folder is just about empty barely any trace of Windows on those partitions Sidenote Not sure if this is important but the tech said that the reason my original hard drive had those problems with the drive letters was that when I had that older drive installed gig I wanted it partitioned ways and the guy who originally set it up used an incorrect outdated program I forget the name to partition it and that it was only a matter of time before problems manifested themselves Getting back to the topic This entire situation with hal dll started about months after I had to install the new hard drive as a workaround to the problems on my older hard drive and its now happening again also about two months after I fixed my previous hal dll problem THIS IS IMPORTANT I know that reformatting repairing reinstalling XP will work but I know that I'll have the same problem down the road if I don't FIX THE CAUSE of this nightmare Anyone care to comment about my PARTICULAR situation I've read this thread http www techsupportforum com mic hlight hal dll which pointed me to this website http www kellys-korner-xp com xp haldll missing htm that states that hal dll errors are caused by dual boot situations which looks like it might apply in my situation Anyone agree Can anyone tell me anything at this point LOL Marty K

A:hal.dll boot error on "multiboot" setup

From what you said here, you only have a single installation of XP that is in use but your boot.ini file is showing 2 installations. The boot.ini file can sometimes have an effect in causing the error you are getting. Try this to correct your boot.ini file:

Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.

Press any key to boot from CD message, press a key to start your computer from the CD.

When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.

Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair, typically this will be #1.

Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file. At this point you may get a message telling you that the boot.ini file does not exist. The next step will correct this error.

Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it. This will scan your hard dives for installations of Windows XP, 2000 or NT and display the results. Follow the on-screen instructions to add your Windows installations to the boot.ini file.

Those step will be:
Total Identified Windows Installs: 1
(1) C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
Type y and hit enter
Enter Load Identifier
This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER.
Enter OS Load options
When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

Take out the CD ROM and type exit.

If this does not clear the hal error you can also do the following:

As above, insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.

press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.

When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.

Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair

At the command prompt type: expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. (where d: is the drive letter of your CD and c:\windows is the location for your Windows installation folder.)

If prompted for permission to overwrite an existing version of the hal.dll file select yes.

Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

Hope this helps

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hal-dll-boot-error-on-multiboot-setup-91564.html
Relevancy 47.3%

ok So here is my situation. I have installed 7 64 bit as a dual boot with vista ultimate. I have it installed on a seperate partition. now I want to trash the vista and run 7 only.

so here is my questions and maybe somone will have an answer.

because vista is on my primary system partition if I format it will it kill my ability to boot. which is what it used to do when I tried this with xp and 98 way back in the day. is this still the case with the newer systems that use the NT Kernal.

if it will compromise my ability to boot can I migrate 7 to the primary partition using a third party software.

or am I forced to reinstall it?

A:how to go from dual boot to single boot

There are a number of options here:

Using the copy function on a 3rd party (free) partition manager, or imaging the 7 partition with Macrium free edition - then restoring the image to the first partition.

Please post a screenshot of Disk Management.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/23778-how-go-dual-boot-single-boot.html
Relevancy 47.3%

I have a multi-boot, multi hard drive computer. The active partition is on a disk with Windows XP x64 installed, and the boot manager will let me run either XP x64 or Vista. Vista is installed an a second disk. I am about to build a new computer, and I would like to remove the XP disk from this system, and be able to boot the Vista installation from the remaining disk in the system. What do I need to do to make this happen?

A:dual boot to single boot

One easy way is to use Vista Disk Management to shrink the Vista partiton and create another of 16 - 20gb.

Mark the Vista partition active.

Disconnect XP drive.

Install Vista from dvd to new partition (takes about 20 mins.)

Boot into original Vista partition, go to msconfig, click the Boot tab, highlight the original Vista partition and set as default. Highlight the new Vista partition and Delete.

You can now delete the new Vista partition from Disk Management.

In Bios, make sure the Vista drive is first in the boot order.

Reattach XP drive.

You will then boot into Vista on startup - you can delete the Xp partition if you wish.

Hope it helps.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/227204-dual-boot-single-boot.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Currently have computer set up to dual boot, either to Win98se or XPsp2. Win98 was installed first, on one HD, FAT32 formatted drive "C" (Primary HD in BIOS). Then installed XP on another, separate HD, NTFS formatted drive "D" (Secondary HD in BIOS). Do I have to wipe out both drives and do a clean install of XP if I want to get rid of the Win98 install? Would like to be able to use the extra GB Win98 is currently on.

Thanks in advance for your help.

JR

A:Go From Dual Boot To Single Boot

What I would do:a. Remove the hard drive with Win 98 on it.b. Place the XP hard drive as the only hard drive connected in the system. Then do a repair install of XP, which will result in new system files, including boot files, and will result in the XP drive being picked up as C:.Users can also just delete the Win 98 folder and edit the boot.ini file to remove the Win 98 operating system. I prefer the 33 minutes or so that it takes to do a repair install .http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/bootini.htm#editLouis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/109689/go-from-dual-boot-to-single-boot/
Relevancy 46.87%

I had Windows XP on my Western Digital drive and I installed Windows 7 on my Seagate drive . I want to remove Windows XP from the Western Digital drive and format it to use as a data drive. How can I do this?

Disk Management:
Seagate (C:) Boot, Page File Active, Crash Dump Primary Partition
Western Digital (D:) System, Active, Primary Partition

A:How do I go back to single-boot?

I too, would really appreciate knowing how to do this. I recently had a hdd crash, so I reinstalled Windows 7 on my other drive. Now I'm all set up, on the start up screen it still continues to give me the "dual boot" option, even though I have formatted that drive.

Anyone know how to remove the dual boot option? Specifically for W7, I know in XP you could edit the boot.ini file, but with W7, I'm stumped!

Any help is appreciated!

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/132562-how-do-i-go-back-single-boot.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Ok i have a dual boot going on, vista and xp. xp is the main and vista was a test. How can i turn the vista partion back into xp free space? just formate the secondary HD it shows? or

A:Dual Boot into single

even if i just formate the secondary partion will it give me that free space back ? it doesnt have to go back to the main drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-into-single.678904/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hey, I spent the last three days trying to repartition my Windows 7 drive. I have a HP Pavillion Laptop that I am going to take to college. Before I go, I want to partition my drive to create two PCs. The C: drive will be a gaming PC which will inevitably get full of bloatware and run slow. I need the B: drive (partition) to have as little of the RAM as possible tied up in background applications. I've tried to install Windows 7 on both partitions, but it won't install twice on the same physical disc. Can I just choose which partition I want to use on startup, and would that keep my RAM free when I need it? If I'm trying something totally wrong, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks,

~MattGuy

A:"multiboot" with one OS, boot partitions

Better to get a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 following the best practices we've learned here since before WIn7 release which have helped countless thousands of users.

If you'll stick with these methods for install and maintaining your OS you'll not have to worry about conceding one half of your laptop to bloatware, 3rd party corruption, etc. Just keep it lean and clean.

By keeping a Clean Boot as we prescribe in the reinstall tutorial or the steps to Clean Up Factory Bloatware on your current install, the freeloaders which can slow gaming or cause issues won't be let in to begin with.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/246639-multiboot-one-os-boot-partitions.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I dual boot XP and Win7. It works great, thanks.
However, I am now at the stage that I wish to cease using XP and single boot into Win7.
I have the Win7 installation CD in the drive and have set the PC to boot from CD.

Trouble is the EasyBCD boot manager kicks in and I cannot see how to do a clean install over my XP drive.
I want to use this particular drive coz it is faster that the other drive.

How do I set up a single boot please...

A:Cease using XP and single boot into Windows 7

Quote: Originally Posted by anykey

Trouble is the EasyBCD boot manager kicks in and I cannot see how to do a clean install over my XP drive.

Hi Anykey (love your Avatar)
I have not used EasyBCD, so I am guessing, but can't you edit th eboot options in msconfig and eliminate it?
Although I have trouble to understand why your computer is booting from the HD (where EasyBCD is) rather than the DVD when you set it up for that. have you double checked? Maybe use the F key that selects boot device?
good luck and let us know

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/38424-cease-using-xp-single-boot-into-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi,

Ive got another laptop to have a look at as he spilt beer over it, i told him that there might not much can be done, as he has tried to turn it on already.

Ive taken it all apart and made sure it was all dried out, didn't actually notice any dampness although there was a distinct smell of stale beer.

After doing this ive tried to turn it on, power button doesn't work, but when you open the laptop lid by about 1 inch they system begins to power up, screen come on briefly as in 1sec maybe less, the BIOS emits a beep then the laptop shuts down.

Any ideas on how i can make it work again or what to do?

A:XP wont boot, single beep

Cleaning would be easy if access was easy. I often clean electronic components with lemon juice and finish off with distilled water, both applied with a medium stiff bristle artist's brush. Beer and sweet sodas dry as a gummy residue, lemon juice cuts that pretty well. Water removes the juice. Allow plenty of time for drying or use a vacuum chamber to expedite.

I have never dismantled a keypad on a laptop for cleaning but that may well be your challenge.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-wont-boot-single-beep.942631/
Relevancy 46.44%

I set up a dual boot with to How 2HDD's?? boot single return to Windows using a separate new Hard How to return to single boot 2HDD's?? Disk Drive with XP already installed on the old existing Hard Drive and using the instructions in this link - Dual Boot Installation with Windows and XP What is the best way to return to a single boot with Windows and remove the original XP install The second HDD will be used as backup and can be formatted Win will be on the original faster XP HDD Can I Format the second Win HDD then boot the Win disk and use these instructions to format the original HDD and install Win on it - - Boot up from the Windows installation disc - Choose Repair your computer - In the System Recovery Options screen choose Use recovery tools and click Next - Open the Command Prompt - Type diskpart and hit Enter - Type list disk Find the disk you wish to install Windows on If you only have one disk then it will show as disk If you have multiple disks find the drive you wish to install on - Type select disk or use the number of the disk you wish to install Windows on note - that is a zero - Type list partition There shouldn't be any - Type create partition primary - Type select partition - Type active - Type format quick - When finished reboot and begin your installation Or should I repair the original XP MBR and format the second Win HDD then reboot and install Win on the XP HDD Or is there a better correct way I am fairly inexperienced so want to make sure before I proceed I would prefer a completely fresh start with clean drives rather than fiddling with boot managers etc if possible Many thanks for any replies advice I was suprised how much I liked Win over XP and would like the simplicity of one OS and a backup drive

A:How to return to single boot 2HDD's??

First backup, backup, backup.

As you are changing HD you need to phone MS.

Activate Windows 7 by Phone

Clean Install Windows 7

You may like to do Full clean & full format.

Type in command line

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK #
CLEAN ALL
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
ACTIVE
FORMAT fs=ntfs
ASSIGN

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/63696-how-return-single-boot-2hdds.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi there I got a Lenovo n with preinstalled Vista on it I partitioned the drive and reduced the Vista partition to gb then installed XP on the other partition Since that single? back Is to from dual go boot it possible to time I've only ever used XP in fact I hadn't even installed the dual boot software to get back into Vista this was more Is it possible to go from dual boot back to single? than a year ago Now I see that the gb drive is full and I can't figure out why I installed EasyBCD got into Vista and ran TreeSize Free The analysis shows gb is used but at the bottom of the window of course it says only gb of is free I can't access the RRbackups file nor the System Volume information but it says Folder is Empty I also checked ghe vssadmin settings and it was nothing out of the ordinary gb or something Can anyone offer up any idea about what this might be and how I can fix it gig is a lot of space to lose

A:Is it possible to go from dual boot back to single?

Agh, - update. It WAS the rrbackups file. It said empty, but once I removed the Lenovo backup program itself, I found all the backup files and sure enough it was 48gb. So, yay on that, but now even though there is more than 50GB of free space, the Shrink Volume says zero available to shrink?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/is-it-possible-to-go-from-dual-boot-back-to-single-410592.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Quick question Can pc...? x32 XP boot and for on Dual x64 Win7 single a SP3 I make a dual boot for XP SP x and Win x on a single pc Both will have their own hdd primary master probably XP and primary slave Win x or other way around possible I ll have that project with Dual boot for XP SP3 x32 and Win7 x64 on a single pc...? an Asus K V SE Deluxe mobo which is bit capable Haven t tried it on that yet Using Win Dual boot for XP SP3 x32 and Win7 x64 on a single pc...? x on a newer pc I saw an old Compaq desktop with only gb ram with Win x Dual boot for XP SP3 x32 and Win7 x64 on a single pc...? and it was quite zippy yeah surprised me really It even had Adobe CS Cyberlink video editors Power Director Producer Autocad in it in addition to Avast IS ver no firewall behavioral shield Comodo firewall D max settings --sandbox disabled standard Office PDFXchange Viewer suite etc Owner friend just did an experiment with that old Compaq and when it was finished invited us for a couple of beers and showed what he had done So me thinking I might be able to try making that project but with an x capable mobo Although I have not used x on it even after I ditched it it was zippy in XP x ram maxed out with Norton IS --with Malwarebytes Superantispyware Pro ACAD SAS Jump Statistical software MathCAD hmmm forgot the rest Just asking

A:Dual boot for XP SP3 x32 and Win7 x64 on a single pc...?

If XP was installed first dual boot should work just fine.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/385417/dual-boot-for-xp-sp3-x32-and-win7-x64-on-a-single-pc/
Relevancy 46.44%

After buying new motherboard, swapping graphics cards, new Hd, new RAM my PC still doesn't work. On bootup I just get 1 long beep every fifth second and nothing shows up on the screen, the graphics card has been checked and works on a different system. I have checked my BIOS beep codes and there is no reference for this type of beep. What the heck can I do now?

A:Single long beep at boot up

That is either video or ram and in spite of what you think, one or the other is incompatible.
The fact that the video card and ram work on another system only means they work on another system. I would bet on the video card but you have given us no specifics on any single piece of hardware so it is beyond impossible to speculate any further.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/single-long-beep-at-boot-up.500751/
Relevancy 46.44%

hi, I bought the machine a year ago.  There was a beep sound at boot up.  But cannot boot up the system.  It  happens on and off.  Recently very often.  It happened right after a "blue screen" of Windows 10.   The problem did not go away even  the power cord was unplugged and plugged in again. What is the oroblem and how to fix it? 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/single-beep-sound-every-second-at-boot-up/td-p/5709603
Relevancy 46.44%

I was having some problems with my dual monitor setup and while messing around with the settings Windows Have On 8 I Can Up Single Boot How a Monitor? I am afraid I messed it up a lot worse than my previous problems were To keep it short one of my monitors was not popping up it ended up being the cable but when I was in the settings I clicked the monitor to pick a quot unknown device quot as it was never detected Now when my computer boots up the main screen is the quot unknown device quot and the secondary screen How Can I Have Windows 8 Boot Up On a Single Monitor? is one of my two monitors Because of this my screen only launches up as a blank gray screen Typically one of my screens show this while the primary one gives me the option to put in my password to login Because this monitor which is my main monitor does not exist I cannot get to my login screen I know I am still on dual monitors because it will let me run the cursor off the screen as it does when I am using my monitors Basically I want to boot up not on extended and only on my monitor I tried the Win P but it doesn't work on the gray screen I also tried booting up in safe How Can I Have Windows 8 Boot Up On a Single Monitor? mode but was unable to access it with Shift F If anyone has a simple solution to this before I have to do a reinstall of Windows it would be greatly greatly appreciated Thank you very much in advance

A:How Can I Have Windows 8 Boot Up On a Single Monitor?

I ended up figuring this out somehow. I hit the windows key, and started mashing all my buttons in frustration (great technique to solving problems), and I seemed to hit some sort of zoom in feature. It zoomed in the login box on my "fake screen" enough to where it overlapped onto my other screen. This allowed me to type in the password, and allowed me to get onto the desktop on one of my monitors. From there I went into Screen Resolution in the control panel and sorted out my issue. Thanks for all who took a look, and hopefully I'll help someone else out in the future - although I feel like this won't be too common of a problem for others.

http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/54499-how-can-i-have-windows-8-boot-up-single-monitor.html
Relevancy 46.44%

hey guys Right i have dual booted XP Professional from a single drive before with the XP Dual Single Boot Drive following procedure for quiet some time now years Format Drive Dual Boot XP Single Drive Create partition Install XP on one partition Make a image of XP partition with Acronis True Image Restore the image on Dual Boot XP Single Drive the second partition I have always ended up with dual boot Dual Boot XP Single Drive XP on a single drive after editing the boot ini When i went into the first partition which i named General Use it was C drive and when i booted into the second partition named Gaming Only it was C drive While I m running on a partition the other partition shows up as D drive but once i restart and select that partition it shows up as C drive and the other partition becomes D drive This was all good and well and just what i wanted Last week my motherboard died and i got a free upgrade under warranty Anyway my old hard drive images were useless because of the different drivers installed during XP so i decided to start fresh formatted the hard drive went through the usual procedure but this time when i boot into the second partition Gaming Only it said it was D drive and i got a windows error message No matter what i try it comes up with D drive which isn t what i want When i restore the image with Acronis i set it as Active i have a choice of Active Primary Logic al cant quiet remember the last one Could this have anything to do with it Any Suggestions Thanks in advance Hope that all made sense it is rather confusing nbsp

A:Dual Boot XP Single Drive

You can use Drive Management by going to Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk management to change the second drive to any ID other than C:
The first boot must be on C:, or whatever the first avaiable drive is other than C: and the second boot can be any other drive other than C: but it cannot be C:, and it cannot be any other drive with the same ID as that on which the first boot is installed. The boot drive ID cannot be changed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-xp-single-drive.108422/
Relevancy 46.44%

Part I I have a computer with hard drives built in a RAID array Powering on the computer gets HD will single 5 Pro XP Windows boot Neither nor RAID a disk boot error message The raid controller is only recognizing of the hard drives I loaded an optimized bios default and enabled raid options Still getting Disk boot failure insert disk enter Checked cables and all are connected to HD's and motherboard appropriately Motherboard has a SATA device capacity so I moved the cables around in the slots then used the BIOS SATA enabled disabled function to adjust for all Disk boot failure message still persists Went through BIOS in onboard device configuration and disabled one of the SATA drives then rebooted Used this process on each HD separately of HD's reported a quot degraded array quot warning when I did this Disabling the BIOS for the HD produced no warning -- Array reads as healthy Same Disk boot failure message occurs Part As a temporary fix I decided to run the computer from one HD I bought a new Seagate Barracuda GB HD-- adjusted bios installed windows Neither RAID 5 nor single HD will boot Windows XP Pro just fine re-installed necessary programs and updates days later computer takes - attempts to boot into windows normally On a normal boot it shows a dim Windows loading screen and stops or a Neither RAID 5 nor single HD will boot Windows XP Pro regular screen with the green windows loading bar which never stops moving or moves jerkily and stops The dos loading screen where it shows drivers and PCI devices loading has dissapeared Safe-mode not booting at all hangs up on drivers loading screen Except for new HD all parts are only years old Rethinking whether this is a RAID array problem given the complications with operating on a single drive Part After trying a few workarounds I have some new information that will hopefully focus on the exact part I am most likely in need of replacing I replaced the SATA cable connected the HD to MB I ran Astra Everest Ultimate and Hot CPU Tester today None of the programs gleaned any help in identifying a defective component The report from Everest is rather lengthy however nothing strikes me as being abnormal Just to be sure of my software integrity on the new HD I ran a Windows repair console chkdsk r from CD the computer then booted Windows I went into msconfig and loaded a diagnostic startup Restarted Windows and the computer booted perfectly except that the devices pci loading screen still does not appear Loaded msconfig again and did a selective startup choosing only essential Microsoft processes and enabling all the programs I wanted at start up Rebooted and computer entered Windows perfectly Enabled the rest of Microsoft services except remote desktop and rebooted The Windows loading screen started freezing again The Windows loading screen would always flicker briefly and the Windows loading bar would stop - seconds afterwards Turned off the computer and attached a Molex to SATA converter so I could run a different power cable to my HD Powered on and the Windows loading bar behavior changed It would start stop start stop In about seconds Windows did load Thought a bad AVG anti-virus install might be affecting Windows Un-installed and rebooted Same start stop occurred but Windows booted without hassle Installed avast home and rebooted-- same behavior Rebooted once more for good measure and the screen froze Left the computer off for minutes and powered on got back into Windows Almost everything in Windows worked normally however in dragging the mouse cursor over the screen it would jump I moved the mouse from right to left instead of the usual motion the cursor stayed on the right part of the screen and then suddenly appeared at the appropriate place on the left screen The mouse did follow all Windows commands and I checked the physical connection Wondering whether my issue is multi-component Perhaps it is an issue with the PSU or graphics card or Mobo Custom Computer Motherboard ASUS M... Read more

A:Neither RAID 5 nor single HD will boot Windows XP Pro

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas S

Perhaps it is an issue with the PSU or graphics card or Mobo?

You left out RAM. Could be as simple as bad ram. you have 4 sticks remove 3 and see if it runs reliably on the single hard disk with the reloaded windows. If not use one of the other sticks to be sure you didn't pick the faulty one.

Have you any hardware diagnostics to test the Mobo?

Also

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas S

;3 days later computer takes 10-15 attempts to boot into windows normally. On a normal boot it shows a dim Windows loading screen and stops; or a regular screen with the green windows loading bar which never stops moving or moves jerkily and stops.

This sounds like a video board failure do you have a spare you can through in for a test?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/neither-raid-5-nor-single-hd-will-boot-windows-xp-pro-378453.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Have two identical computers HP8300's one only has Windows 7 pro 64, the other has a dual boot setup with Windows XP and Windows 7 pro 32. What I would like to end up with is the Win 7 32 bit partition from the first computer dual booted with Win 7 64 on the Windows 7 pro 64 computer.

I would like to get away from having to do a new installation if possible, the 32 bit installation has allot of software and drivers for special cards that would be a bear to have to reinstall.

I have and know how to use the tools to make and copy the partition but guessing there will be more to it than that. So I make room for the 32bit installation on the drive and copy the 32bit partition..
Then what?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/392470-single-dual-boot-drive-two-computers.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I have a computer running vista, i get a single bios beep then a line at the bottom of the screen with a light running across it, unable to progress further, any ideas please.

A:single bios beep unable to boot

Hi and welcome to TSF do you have a install or recovery disc from which you can attempt to repair your system

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/single-bios-beep-unable-to-boot-693809.html
Relevancy 46.01%

so i decided to finally put win7 onto my laptop. it was running xp of the main (c:/) and storage off the other half (d:/)

win7 DID infact install problem free to the main partition..

i'd like to format this partition and get rid of everything on that drive.. 60gig drive with 10gig free.. i need to leave the other partition alone as this is where all the backups remain. During the setup i was unable to select format c:/ and the system installed. booting into command prompt and attempting to format is useless.. a little lost at this poing. but glad i got it to even install. realy looking forward to running this.. time for a change.. much thanks..
Jeremy

A:formatting boot partition, single drive

Your post make no sense, post a shot of disk management and tell us exactly what you want to do to each partition.

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

Screenshot with Paint

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/274334-formatting-boot-partition-single-drive.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hello everyone, i'm new here and i'm from Holland so my English is not very good.
I want to uninstall my only OS: Windows 7 and reinstalling a new Windows 7. I want to do this because i can't delete a driver that is causing shut down problems (if you people can me help me with that would also be ok!) So i've got 2 partitions; a C and a D. My OS is currently running on my C, so how can i delete the OS and install the new OS? My second question is; will ALL the drivers of external hardware (keyboard, mouse) and internal hardware be gone? Oh yeah, the driver that causing the problem is the driver of my Steelseries keyboard and i can't delete it, can i delete than one in safe mode?

A:Installing a new Windows 7 on a single boot system

Hi there,

Before we start talking about doing a clean install, have you tried going to Device Manager and clicking on the arrow next to Keyboards? You will then see the keyboard you are talking about. Right-click on it and choose Uninstall and that will uninstall your problem driver.

You will obviously have to then look for a more recent one or do some research on Google to see if other people had the same problem with that keyboard and what solution they found.

Stay cool mate.

By the way...here is a link that shows you how to do a clean install in case you decide to go down that road.

Clean Install Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/301928-installing-new-windows-7-single-boot-system.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi, I have a dual boot XP Pro setup on my boot drive and I want to reinstall my E drive while preserving my C drive. I've done a couple of Windows 7 reinstalls but never an XP reinstall. I'm just a little nervous about the dual boot setup, I don't want to lose my C partition.
I have a Macrium image of the drive and also the partitions, in case I botch it . I have also backed up a number of files from My Documents etc. in case I need some of them later.
What pitfalls should I be wary of?
I have a Service Pack 2 CD, Academic Edition.

A:Reinstalling single XP Pro on a dual boot XP Pro machine

OK, I went ahead boldly with confidence & it was pretty straight forward, seems to have worked out ok as far as basic set up is concerned. I used the wrong disk, I could only find one of the two, so instead of using the cd key I had previously used for that OS, I had to use the key that was on the disk sleeve, so it's possible I've now used the same key for both setups so I guess I'll be getting a message from Microsoft once I set up my internet connection.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reinstalling-single-xp-pro-on-a-dual-boot-xp-pro-machine.1085603/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hello everyone I have been running my Windows system in Raid with two Intel SSD's I recently purchased a new Intel SSD and want drive over Cannot after Raid0 copying to boot get SSD from single OS to go back to running the Cannot get single SSD drive to boot after copying over OS from Raid0 single drive as I have plans for the other two SS drives I used the Intel cloning feature and it said successful change over your drives and reboot This is when the problems began I physically disabled the two Raid drives hooked up the single drive restarted the computer went into the BIOS and changed the boot order to the new drive switched it from Raid to AHCI mode The system gets as far as the Windows logo then reboots I've gone back into the BIOS several times trying different things hoping to figure out what setting is not correct I wasn't sure if I was suppose to make the changes via CTRL -I and set the drives back to non-raid through there and or in the BIOS I read something about not having any other hard drives Cannot get single SSD drive to boot after copying over OS from Raid0 hooked up as the system would put the boot files on there Wasn't sure of what that meant but I did have a regular HDD hooked up when I did the cloning process if that helps for information Any ideas as to what steps I might be doing in the wrong order I have since put everything back to the original state so I can use my system Thanks in advance

A:Cannot get single SSD drive to boot after copying over OS from Raid0

Mark Active the Win7 partition or it's 100 mb System Reserved partition if you have it: Partition - Mark as Active (Method Two)

Then boot into System Recovery Options on Win7 DVD or System Repair Disk to run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times.

You can also mark Active while seeing a picture of your HD using free Partition Wizard bootable CD to right click on Win7 or it's 100mb System Reserved partition, select Modify>Set to Active, OK.

Then click on Disk # to highlight it, from Disk tab select Rebuild MBR, Apply, reboot. This may preclude the need to run Startup Repair 3 times to repair or rewrite the System boot files.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/221567-cannot-get-single-ssd-drive-boot-after-copying-over-os-raid0.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I have been trying for a while to install mac os x on my windows 7 pc

i have followed hundreds of different tutorials and hit a wall at every one.

what is the best way to install mac os x on a single hdd?

i no my pc is compatible with it i dont no where im going wrong.

A:Windows 7 ultimate and osx duel boot on single HD is it possible?

Hello Army008, welcome to Seven Forums

It is possible to dual-boot Mac with Windows but it is a violation of the Mac use agreenment to install Mac on non-Mac hardware.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/252251-windows-7-ultimate-osx-duel-boot-single-hd-possible.html
Relevancy 46.01%

how to make VISTA & XP dual boot on single PC ..

A:how to make VISTA & XP dual boot on single PC

check this out for info http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...n+one+pc&meta= should be what you are looking for

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-make-vista-and-xp-dual-boot-on-single-pc-332631.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi tech friends This baffles me and your help is greatly needed and appreciated here Recently computer has slowed down quite a bit after installing bittorrent so I uninstalled it But even after uninstalling it still feels slow and after checking network settings realised primary DNS has been set to Tried to change it back to automatic setting but after click OK it just won t change Tried a few remove? changing 85.255.112.70 DNS on to - keep how to times and still won t change Then downloaded HJT and ran and tried to remove the O items that shows checked the network settings and it s been set to automatic but after a while less than mins it gets set back DNS keep on changing to 85.255.112.70 - how to remove? to Suspect a process is running that keeps on resetting DNS to but don t know how to kill it Suspect it s trojan installed Stinger anti-virus scan thru and DNS keep on changing to 85.255.112.70 - how to remove? cleaned rebooted but problem still exist DNS keep on changing to 85.255.112.70 - how to remove? Somebody pls help Thks Here s my HJT log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system ibmpmsvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Sygate SSA smc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system ngvpnmgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS System SCardSvr exe C WINDOWS system IPSSVC EXE C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files BigFix Enterprise BES Client BESClient exe C SAVCE DefWatch exe C Program Files Common Files InterVideo RegMgr iviRegMgr exe C Notes ntmulti exe C Program Files Encentuate ObsService exe C SAVCE SavRoam exe C Program Files Encentuate SOCIAccess exe C SAVCE Rtvscan exe C WINDOWS System TPHDEXLG exe C Program Files ThinkPad Utilities PWMDBSVC EXE C WINDOWS system wbem wmiprvse exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C SAVCE VPTray exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C WINDOWS system igfxsrvc exe C Program Files Analog Devices Core smax pnp exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C WINDOWS system TpShocks exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files Lenovo HOTKEY TPOSDSVC exe C Program Files Lenovo NPDIRECT TPFNF SP exe C Program Files Lenovo AwayTask AwaySch EXE C PROGRA THINKV PrdCtr LPMGR exe C Program Files Lenovo HOTKEY TPONSCR exe C Program Files Lenovo Zoom TpScrex exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe C WINDOWS System DLA DLACTRLW EXE C Program Files Encentuate AATray exe C Program Files iPass iPassConnect Corporate downloader ipccheck exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService ISUSPM exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Distillr acrotray exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader reader sl exe C Program Files E-Book Systems FlipViewer PersonalLibrary exe C Program Files Encentuate DataProvider exe C Program Files Encentuate Sync exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C WINDOWS system drwtsn exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Micros... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dns-keep-on-changing-to-85-255-112-70-how-to-remove.773096/
Relevancy 45.58%

Hello, wondering if anyone can help with this issue. I am looking to install xp so I wrote the .iso onto a bootable USB and changed the boot order in the bios to boot from USB first. Then after it rebooted, the screen stays black with no bios screen etc. Not sure why it doesn't come up, any suggestions? Thanks

This is an acer aspire one netbook running ubuntu 10.04. 120gb hdd and 1gb Ram. Have absolutely no problems in past with it and it's about a year and a half old.

Extra info :-: when trying to hit the caps lock in the blank screen, the light does jot come up and the keyboard seems to be unresponsive. I am letting it cool down as it was on all day whilst o was researching the xp installation so will attempt to turn it on again soon but fear it may be to the boot order change.

A:Solved: Blank screen on startup after changing boot order to boot from USB.

Any POST messages?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-blank-screen-on-startup-after-changing-boot-order-to-boot-from-usb.953661/
Relevancy 45.58%

I bought a new Inspiron - which came with a GB SSD nbsp I upgraded it with a SanDisk GB SSD and when installing the new OS I turned off the UEFI nbsp That is in the BIOS menu for BOOT I have Boot List Option nbsp Legacy Secure Boot Disabled Load Legacy Option ROM Enabled PROBLEM nbsp The system is on its own changing boot options nbsp Specifically st Boot Priority is always set to Diskette Drive nbsp If I change it to Hard Drive then Exit with Save Changes and Reset it will 11-3152 Drive, then to boot boot default Inspiron Diskette changing won't boot normally nbsp But when I shut down and boot up again the system will fail to load sitting at a blinking cursor nbsp If I go into the setup menu with F I find that st Boot Priority has been changed back to Diskette Drive nbsp Also Fast Boot is always switched to Enabled I have never heard of anything like this in years of using computers nbsp How can BIOS settings change themselves Inspiron 11-3152 default boot changing to Diskette Drive, then won't boot on reboot nbsp Is there any way to fix this nbsp The computer works fine other than having to go into the boot menu with F and change from Diskette Drive to Hard Drive on every boot nbsp Any ideas how to fix this The current SSD has linux on it but I have the Windows that the computer came with untouched on the factory SSD BIOS Version CPU Type Pentium CPU N GHz

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19986901
Relevancy 45.58%

I installed a new second hard drive on my system, so that I could set up the second hard drive to my likeings before making it the primary drive. Now that I have it loaded properly, will I be able to just unplug the primary drive, put the jumper on the second drive to the primary position and be ok??

Both of the drives have Win XP Home... but I noticed that when I boot to the second hard drive, it takes allot longer to boot up than the primary drive does. So I wasn't sure if some of the actual boot records are still on the primary drive, and that is why it takes longer for the second drive to boot up.

My final intentions are for the new second drive to be my primary drive, and then maybe use the old primary drive as a data drive.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Wayne

A:Dual Boot system back to single drive.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Wayne

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-system-back-to-single-drive.396024/
Relevancy 45.58%

First of all I have been single Vista dual problem or Xp boot please install help big searching for about a week with no luck and hours and hours of reinstalling configuring etc I had amp Xp dual boot on a mhz g ram that was working fine on a single gb PATA drive with partitions That I used to use Ghost restores if needed I wanted to put in Vista on it also so I installed it from Xp used the custom installation and installed it to a third partition I created Vista would not Vista Xp dual boot or single install big problem please help boot after the first reboot during the installation process I could still get Vista Xp dual boot or single install big problem please help into amp xp To make a long storry as short as possible currently I only have xp amp Vista but same thing Vista Xp dual boot or single install big problem please help Vista will not boot after the first reboot of the install process I reformated about times already still nothing even time full department of defense erase hours to complete What confuses me is if I do a fresh install of XP from a fresh format XP will not boot it says it is missing NTLDR is missing If I am correct from reading from the Web it has to do with something when Win was in or from cloned restored hard drive The only way I got XP installed again was I had to put Win again then I had to use the upgrade install option because the custom option would do the same thing not boot up Then I tried a fresh Vista install with a fresh format and it will not boot I don t remember but I think it is the same error I am getting now with the dual boot system quot windows failed to start A recent hardware or software change might be the cause Then it shows windows system winload exe To fix the problemut the Vista disk in select repair computer etc Fix boot problems etc Did that done that times already and nothing There is something very messed up on this hard drive that it will not let me put XP or Vista together or even a single install anymore I tried VistaBootPro no luck I am pretty good at computers I have installed Win xp vista dozens to times on different computers etc never been that great with boot ini but always got it figured out with a little time but now Vista and the bcdedit I am lost again Any ideas on what is going on How do I wipe the hard drive where I do not get any errors from a fresh XP or Vista Install I did use the Seagate Diagnostic cd it showed no errors When you reformat a hard drive is the mbr still there or what else is there that is messing up the installs that I need to get rid of and how Sorry for the Novel Michael nbsp

A:Vista Xp dual boot or single install big problem please help

http://www.multibooters.co.uk/
Scroll down to see The Changes Vista Dualboot Makes to a Previous Windows OS &#8211; and How to Reverse Them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-xp-dual-boot-or-single-install-big-problem-please-help.565201/
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi all new here I was wondering if anyone could help me because I am a bit stuck right now I m trying to install a new hard drive and retire my current one to backup and data storage purposes The problem is that I ve installed Windows on a hard drive with partitions an old XP partition D and the new W partition C At the moment the disk management screen looks like this What I am trying to do is delete the W7 from 'dual Solved: single Switching boot' a to partition D partition and then copy resize the C Solved: Switching from 'dual boot' to a single partition W7 partition including Windows installation to my new hard drive F If I ignore the new hard drive and just try to migrate Solved: Switching from 'dual boot' to a single partition W7 to a single partition I can never get it to boot I tried using Partition Wizard to set the C as a primary active partition copied over the bootmgr and boot directory then used bootrec fixmbr and bootrec fixboot to try to make Windows bootable from just the C but it didn t work All I got was quot disk read error quot whilst the PC was trying to boot off the C this is with all other drives disconnected Any thoughts options that I could try to migrate to a single bootable partition from a dual boot configuration I tried this video s advice and did everything as instructed but got the disk read error problem nbsp

Relevancy 45.58%

Before I go any further there's a bit of back story to my 'issue' here W and W dual boot - Your opinions on set up So all was going swimmingly with my dual boot setup until a couple of weeks ago boot times were excellent and I could be into my desktop on either OS within seconds I was performing my weekly maintenance routine recently when a problem arose I ran the usual following boot dual time BSOD single Extended MalwareBytes scan a quick round of CCleaner a SuperAntiSpyware scan and finally ran my regular Macrium imaging I imaged my Windows partition with no problem but when running Macrium to image my Extended dual boot time following single BSOD Windows partition Macrium hung and threw up an error I chose to close the program and declined Windows' offer to search for a solution A BSOD followed x E so after restarting I thought I'd analyse it to see what was going on but there was no minidump for me to analyse I tried to replicate the situation by running Macrium on my Windows partition but the image was created successfully with no problems I carried on computing for the day and all seemed fine and there has been no re-occurrence of the BSOD I presumed it was Macrium that caused it but suspected my SSD so ran checks sfc scannow chkdsk and all came back good So no bother it seemed It took a while for me to realise that it now took a good twenty to thirty seconds for my PC to reach the Boot Manager upon booting I normally switch my rig on and go and make a coffee so it went undetected for a few days I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas on what could have happened to have extended the boot time It has to be a result of what happened when the BSOD occurred as like I mentioned my boot times were perfection beforehand This isn't really an issue as such more of an annoyance but with the collective knowledge of F I thought it was an annoyance that could be eliminated I've posted a screenshot of Disk Management below if it helps any and if you'd like any more info just let me know and I'll provide it Thanks in advance for any input and help

A:Extended dual boot time following single BSOD

Maybe you should start a thread in the BSOD section.

Have you tried running a benchmark on your SSD and see if it gets the same results as usual? Also, time your boot up and see how long for it to post and how long once you see the Windows loading until you get to the desktop. See which is longer than usual and it may give you an idea of where to look.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/337126-extended-dual-boot-time-following-single-bsod.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Hello and advanced thanks for any help Suddenly upon boot up today system has a long single beep and will not boot to OS The monitor is black and boot does has install beep after System single XP not & long I tried a floppy disk System does not boot & has long single beep after XP install and even cdrom I can not get into the bios or anything Its as if it went System does not boot & has long single beep after XP install DOA and the system has not been touched since last night s new OS install see below note of just installed OS Any ideas or advice all hardware is less than six month old P - ghz ram new ide hard drive power supply case and mb and ran fine until this sudden glitch Its almost like the old dos days of post beeps errors but I m unsure of what it means and how to approach next step In ref to last time system ran I had just completed new OS install of XP full install on top of Me that resulted in unwanted dual OS boot system last night But it ran fine when finished install And planned next to remove old OS and recover Me partition of fat to ntfs via reinstall of full xp home was next step but it appears now have this hardware issue glitch nbsp

Relevancy 45.58%

Hi there Recently got a HP Pavilion g sa which came with Windows spit and this disgusting UEFI BIOS replacement double spit Anyway I need to dual boot Ubuntu on my system so I installed Ubuntu Normally on a non UEFI system a Grub bootloader installed by Linux would take Boot 8 Order and Dual Ubuntu on Boot Changing Windows over the startup process and allow you to choose between Changing Boot Order on Dual Boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu either Windows or Ubuntu on startup nbsp However on this computer startup is just booting straight to Windows despite the fact that Ubuntu and Grub IS installed Now upon startup if I press F then I get to change the boot-device on a one-time basis I can either select OS Boot Manager which loads Windows or Ubuntu which loads the Grub bootloader which allows me to select Windows or Ubuntu However when I press F to enter the Bios Setup with the intention of changing the boot order permanently the Ubuntu option isn't there Instead it has OS Manager USB Disk CD Rom USB CD Rom and Network Card Thanks HP for the crappily designed BIOS Anyway can anyone PLEASE provide me a way of changing the boot order so that GRUB is loaded first and NOT this crap Windows rubbish that I would happily bin if I didn't need it for work nbsp

A:Changing Boot Order on Dual Boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu

Looks like HP forums are just as useful as HP customer service and HP computers - i.e., not very useful at all.Problem solved though. Took the piece of crap back for a full refund and won't be buying HP again.Happy days.Bye.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Changing-Boot-Order-on-Dual-Boot-Windows-8-and-Ubuntu/td-p/2503733
Relevancy 45.58%

Vista Wont Boot after changing MAX Mem in msconfig/boot/advancedoptions

A:Vista Wont Boot after changing MAX Mem in msconfig/boot/advancedoptions

Its saved in a file called boot.ini so if you can get a command promot you can edit that file.
i know this works with NT, XP ..etc worth a shot with Vista

Boot with Vista CD.
# Insert the Windows CD-ROM into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
# When you receive the &#8220;Press any key to boot from CD&#8221; message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
# When you receive the &#8220;Welcome to Setup&#8221; message, press R to start the Recovery Console.
# When you are prompted, type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.
# At the command prompt, type bootcfg /list, and then press ENTER. The entries in your current Boot.ini file appear on the screen.
# At the command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER.
Also if you get access in DOS and are able to edit boot.ini you need to change:
/maxmem=number

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-wont-boot-after-changing-max-mem-in-msconfig-boot-advancedoptions.614385/
Relevancy 45.58%

I am dual booting Win7 Ultimate x64 from a SSD and WinXP Pro x64 from a HDD. After POST, i get to a boot selection screen showing the XP 2003 Server edition (XP x64) and Win7. I could enter Win7 but the default is the setup so if I don't do anything the screen times out after 30 seconds, loads the setup, and BSOD. So whatever. I just use arrow up, select Win7 and I'm fine. BUT, I changed the timeout from 30 to 0 seconds in boot options and now I can't figure out how to get back into Win7. To enter XP, I have to press f11 and select the disk from boot options or else it enters setup and BSOD. I need help on getting settings changed so my PC will automatically boot into Win7 and booting into XP is done as it currently is.

Thanks

A:Dual Boot issues, changing default boot option

Try this: https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/ba...default-entry/

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/311935-dual-boot-issues-changing-default-boot-option.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I have a single excel sheel with one single column containing words with some special characters. I want to search for multiple words from that single column.

A:Search multiple words in a single column in a single excel s

A bit of clarification:Does each cell contain multiple words or just one word?After you find your target word/s what do you want done with them?And, in the future, Excel questions are best asked in the Office Software forum.MIKEhttp://www.skeptic.com/

http://www.computing.net/answers/office/search-multiple-words-in-a-single-column-in-a-single-excel-s/20478.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I am choosing which OS to boot by changing the boot order in my BIOS. To me, this seems clean and simple. I built 32 bit XP on one disk, then removed that disk from my system, installed a different disk, and built 64 bit W7.

When both disks are installed, I change the boot order to select the OS I want, and each OS sees and can use the files on either disk.

Am I asking for trouble here, or is this as clean as I think it is? What I want is one set of user document files which can be used from whichever OS has been booted.

A:Choosing which OS to boot by changing BIOS boot order

Quote: Originally Posted by pander1203

I am choosing which OS to boot by changing the boot order in my BIOS. To me, this seems clean and simple. I built 32 bit XP on one disk, then removed that disk from my system, installed a different disk, and built 64 bit W7.

When both disks are installed, I change the boot order to select the OS I want, and each OS sees and can use the files on either disk.

Am I asking for trouble here, or is this as clean as I think it is? What I want is one set of user document files which can be used from whichever OS has been booted.

There are no problems with doing it that way its just a PITA. with minimal work you can have a bootloader where all you have to do is click the OS you want to run. You need to use a tool like bcdedit. there are instructions for itis use here BCDEDIT - How to Use .How this helps and let us know if you need help with anything

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/32181-choosing-os-boot-changing-bios-boot-order.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hey Gang,

Can anybody point me to the instructions about how to install XP Pro to a single Win98 hard drive - to make it dual boot, like Win 2k?

I've been looking all around the internet and the only thing I've found is an XP dual boot on a 2nd hard drive.

Does XP have that capability?

Thanks,
HULK

Relevancy 45.15%

Okay, so I was interested to test out Win 8's boot time from "shutdown" (it's in quotes because if I remember it right, its shutdown is a complex hybrid with hibernation and a shutdown) to startup.

What I'm curious is though, has anyone with an SDD and UEFI tried it out to see if they achieved that 10 second boot in that MS video?

On the other note, I took a video of it booting on a regular HDD on an Asus G73SW. What do you think?

[youtube]od59083TrDg[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od590...layer_embedded

A:Anyone with a single boot SSD on UEFI tests if win8 really boots fast?

Looks the same as mine but I have found it's not really completely loaded at Start Up as it takes another 45 seconds or so for my task-bar icons to show up on my other monitors (Win Explorer, Fx Nightly and Outlook 2010).

Still, I can launch a Metro App straight away.

Hey, MS is working on it, I figure (hope) it will get better.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/2560-anyone-single-boot-ssd-uefi-tests-if-win8-really-boots-fast.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I am writing about printing on an HP 1410 All-In-One. The problem is this.
I have a Word 2003 .doc. I then insert a jpg from a file. I locate it in the document where I want it and size it accordingly. For example: let's say the picture is 2" x 3" on the printed page. The document appears correctly in the program and in print preview.
However, when the page is printed, the jpg is printed twice, one over top of the other. Note: they are not superimposed. However, there are two images (2" x 1.5") and the perspective is "squashed."
Any suggestions if this is a Word 2003 problem, an OS problem (Windows 2000 Pro), or a printer problem?
Thanks for your help.

A:Single JPG Prints Multiple Times in Size for Single

I don't really understand what you mean. Maybe you could scan the print and attach it? The quickest way to tell if it's the printer or print driver would be to print something similar from a different program.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/single-jpg-prints-multiple-times-in-size-for-single.508704/
Relevancy 44.72%

How do I remove a network share ? If I open up Network and I open another computer on the network I see all my network shares. But I want to remove some of them.

How do I change the usename/password to a network share to which I need to connect ? f I open up Network and I open another computer on the network I see all my network shares. But I need to change the username/password for connecting to some of them.

I am using Windows Vista 64 Ultimate.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/258527-remove-changing-network-share.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I am in a directory and when I click properties there a faded tick in the "Read Only" Box.

I have removed the tick countless times and it always goes back to read only...even when it shows that the files in that directory are being reset.

I have also gone into the folders individually and selected each file to remove the "Read Only" Tick...It won't save the changes.

I have checked the file options in windows exlorer and I have unticked "Hide System files " etc..and I have set the folder to full permission by administrator & user.

Can anyone help with a solution to permently remove the Read Only Tick so that I can make changed to the files in that folder. (ie save cfg file for the game...It keeps reverting to default)

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

regards....Joe M.

A:Attributes Changing to remove read only

See if these Microsoft settings help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/attributes-changing-to-remove-read-only.390753/
Relevancy 44.72%

I changed the name of my computer in System Properties. Now, both the old computer (name) and the new show up in the explorer network tree. How do I get rid of the old name (on all the computers on the network)? This PC is Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

A:How do I remove an old computer name on the network after changing it

How to Change Computer Owner Name in Windows 7

Hope this is your option...

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/332148-how-do-i-remove-old-computer-name-network-after-changing.html
Relevancy 44.72%

How do I change from a double left click to open files or Icons to a single left click?

A:Changing from double left click to open files to a single left click

control panel>folder options

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/266206-changing-double-left-click-open-files-single-left-click.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi Thank you ahead of time for your assistance I have been previously infected with the IRS government warning virus I am reasonably comfortable working with malware removal tools and keeps file cannot which remove client[1].txt CCleaner changing I thought I had all of the issues resolved However CCleaner keeps finding this file C Users Teresa's Laptop AppData Local Microsoft CCleaner cannot remove file client[1].txt which keeps changing Windows Temporary Internet Files Content IE M HTU IC clients txt KB Which when I locate it has literally changed before my eyes Also even though it shows as KB the file shows only the number and it disappears and reappears as I watch it I have also had a reoccurring issue with my Outlook cache becoming corrupted in this same folder I have as yet only found posts alluding to this issue but no answers and quite honestly I am sick of trying to figure it out I turned in my Tech badge a few years back we were still using HJK and I really hope that you can help me resolve this and the odd things that happen now and then I am assuming due to this issue or residue or whatever it is Attached please find the DDS txt file I will be happy to provide anything else that you require Thanks again for your assistance Best regards Teresa

A:CCleaner cannot remove file client[1].txt which keeps changing

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.===Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.Close all open programs and internet browsers.Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.Click the Scan button and wait for the process to complete.Click the Report button and the report will open in Notepad.IMPORTANTIf you click the Clean button all items listed in the report will be removed.If you find some false positive items or programs that you wish to keep, Close the AdwCleaner windows.Close all open programs and internet browsers.Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.Click the Scan button and wait for the process to complete.Check off the element(s) you wish to keep.Click on the Clean button follow the prompts.A log file will automatically open after the scan has finished.Please post the content of that log file with your next answer.You can find the log file at C:\AdwCleaner[Sn].txt (n is a number).===Download the correct version of this tool for your operating system.Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (64 bit)Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (32 bit)and save it to a folder on your computer's Desktop.Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.Press Scan button.It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.===Please paste the logs in your next reply DO NOT ATTACH THEM unless specified.Let me know what problem persists.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/535250/ccleaner-cannot-remove-file-client1txt-which-keeps-changing/