Windows Support Forum

Faulty Ext. Hard Drive, no access.

Q: Faulty Ext. Hard Drive, no access.

Hey everyone So I recently picked up this external hard drive from a friend who Hard Drive, no access. Ext. Faulty was having some issues with it From his first description I thought Faulty Ext. Hard Drive, no access. I would be able to solve it myself but it turns out the problem is way more complex and unknown to me than I had thought Here's what's up -The Hard drive is a standard external one connected to the PC via a standard USB cable One regular USB connector on the PC side and a small one I believe they are refered to as 'mini-USB Type B' on the drive's side -When connected to the PC it shows up like an internal hard drive strangely not with the external devices -It cannot be browsed or accessed in any other way the windows explorer will either load -extremely- slowly without success OR freeze OR simply say it cannot be accessed -The furthest I got in terms of interacting with it was to uninstall and reinstall it via disk manager -All other attempts fail formatting is impossible as a right click leads to the problems described in point I tried to format after uninstalling installing the drive since a message came up telling me to do so eventhough I was planning to do it anyway -The drive brand is completely unknown to me it was purchased in Hong Kong and bears the label 'Buffalo' Any feedback or ideas on this topic are more than welcome Thanks in advance amp looking forward to some help Pluffi

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Faulty Ext. Hard Drive, no access.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Faulty Ext. Hard Drive, no access.

Hi,

Are you able to access this drive from the command prompt? If so, try a chkdsk /R on it and lets see if that improves access.

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/200412-faulty-ext-hard-drive-no-access.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Ok, so the other day, my external hard drive fell to the ground and I could not get it to turn back on. I tried again yesterday with no success. I ordered a SATA hard drive enclosure thinking it was just the hardware in my external hard drive that was bad. Well I went and plugged it into a SATA enclosure and all I get is 5 beeps as if its trying but nothing ends up happening....is it possible that the hard drive itself is done??? I have tons and tons of stuff on there that I cannot lose...Any help would be great guys. Thanks!

A:HELP Faulty Hard drive??

It is possible that the fall damaged the hard drive read/write heads, the hardware that positions the heads, and/or possibly the disc surfaces as well. This is particularly true if the drive was powered up at the time of the fall.

If this is true, it will cost you big bucks to have a data recovery company take the drive apart and attempt to recover all or some of data from the the disc platters.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-faulty-hard-drive.1083365/
Relevancy 67.08%

For the last few weeks I have had some issues with my PC I built myself a couple of years ago. The main thing is that if I let my PC sit for 10-15 minutes, when I come back to log back in, my display gets huuuge to the lowest resolution, and I usually get a "parser error message saying "value creation failed at line 422 or line 903". What is all this? Also, the computer has been running a lot slower that it used to, Photoshop will freeze, defragging will leave half the drive still fragmented, so just a bunch of annoying problems that only a restart seems to fix. Please advise, thank you all.

Relevancy 67.08%

hi there, right basicaly i have a 40gb hdd which i store all my music on, one minute this drive was fine, the next i rebooted and the drive woudlnt work during post the comp picks up an ide drive on master, and even loads the drives name etc but the system just seems 2 hang then. any ideas what courses this? ive tried the drive in 3 other systems with exactly the same symptoms so i dont think its a hardware conflict. ive got a new hdd now but what i am keen to do is to access the drive and copy the files from it as there is approx 35gb of music on there

if you require anymore info ill try to provide it

thanks in advance, russ

A:Faulty Hard-Drive?

Put the drive in a freezer bag and chill it right down for an hour , then try again.

Sometimes works, and if it does then extract everything you can. It may be your only access chance.

If nothing else, you perhaps realise now that a HDD is only temporary storage, and must be backed up. They are cheaper these days but the quality and longevity has not improved.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-hard-drive.209812/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi I hope someone can help me out here I built my own pc a few weeks ago everything is fine UNTIL NOW - My main hard drive is a western digital caviar GB special edition MB cache and the computer boots from this problem is a couple of days ago when i press the buttons to start the computer everything fires up fine apart from the hard drive It seems to go really slow scratching louder than normal and seems to only scratch twice a second funny thing is it still boots but really really slowly Is this a faulty hard drive or a power start up Faulty????? hard drive my Is problem All i Is my hard drive Faulty????? do is switch on Is my hard drive Faulty????? at the mains then switch the pc on Last time it happened i let it startup then shut it down and started up again and it was fine This time i just pulled the plug and started again and it was fine Whats up with my poor hard drive I have it in a caddy fixed into one of the inch drive bays this caddy has two built in fans and one of them makes a noise when i first start it could this fan have something to do with it such as vibration or something Help Thanks Ade nbsp

Relevancy 67.08%

Hi I ve a Fujitsu MHR AT hard drive in a Samsung P laptop it s re-badged as an RM Professional P but I don t think that should be relevant here The drive is very noisy but only intermittently This can happen when the laptop is being used or when it s just doing nothing On checking Task Manager I can t find anything running that would cause the drive to be accessed Ordinarily I d assume the drive was failing but I ve a couple of these drives I recently bought a replacement an used one off Ebay and that was no better The seller was very apologetic and immediately sent me a replacement which guess what was pretty much the same This was cheap so not even worth sending back Now I find it hard to believe though it s still possible that all four are duff drives So I went looking for some disc diagnostic software on the net I tried a couple including SeaTools for Windows but the only one that ran properly was DiscCheckup from PassMark I ve been using that running short and extended self tests but it doesn t highlight any problems I m intrigued that the disc apparently runs when I wouldn t be expecting it to be doing anything Device Manager tells me its using a Microsoft driver dated Would a Fujitsu driver help I ve tried to update but couldn t find anything newer Anyone any ideas apart from throw all the drives away nbsp hard drive(s) Faulty

Relevancy 67.08%

Hello I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm running Drive Hard Faulty out of options I'm very lost as to how to contact hp support about my issue I went through the support page and searched my product Faulty Hard Drive and got to the 'Contact Options' Faulty Hard Drive page However there was no contact options available to me just a confirmation that my product is still under warranty until it's expiration date I opened a support case in a commercial product section I thought it was a personal product section for some reason and got an email back saying to ring customer support I rang the customer support number and followed through to the correct line which said that I need to open a customer support ticket before calling I'm not sure where to go from here I was using my laptop with a few programs open Disk was at when windows crashed No error message opened but windows Explorer start menu and taskbar were all unresponsive I restarted and the laptop was unable to boot windows I could reach the login lockscreen but once I entered my password it was stuck at a login loop I booted into safe mode to attempt to uninstall recently installed programs to see if that would fix the issue It would boot into the desktop however Windows Explorer was again unresponsive I tried window r to reach msconfig to configure a clean startup but that failed to load Task manager failed to open as well as the start menu I tried restarting a few times as well as removing the battery to drain the capacitors of electricity before booting up Same issues I then ran component tests all of which passed except for the Hard Drive short long DST check which failed Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Faulty Hard Drive

I will ask a Moderator to escalate your issue. A failed hard disk is covered under warranty. You may be asked to provide the hardawre fail code that the test gave you. I hope you have your recovery media available. You will need the recovery media  to recover the notebook to its factory delivered state.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Faulty-Hard-Drive/td-p/5701435
Relevancy 67.08%

If someone can help me that would be great. Yesterday a work computer only had two applications running and it completely froze up. When we restarted the computer the following message appeared:

"windows could not start because of an error in hte software, please report this problem as: load needed DLL's for Kernel"

We tried repairing Windows XP and then reformatting the system. Nothing seemed to be working. Dell is telling us that we need a new hard drive. The computer is only a year old. Does this make sense or does anyone have a suggestion on how to try and repair?

Thanks,
Kristy

A:Faulty Hard Drive??

From the hard drive's manufacturer's web site, download and run the diagnostic tool.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-hard-drive.228972/
Relevancy 67.08%

I have recently bought a brand new Western Digital Caviar Green TB hard drive and have had no end of trouble Faulty Is My New Drive Hard with it since the moment I installed it The initial problems were the hard drive which is being used as a slave not being detected by XP every time necessitating repeated re-boots until it showed up After that it started prompting a check disk on boot-up Is My New Hard Drive Faulty which on one occasion found problems with some file record segments and had to recover files The next check disk after that showed no bad sectors After that event my PC became unable to boot windows at all stopping on a black screen just before the desktop should have appeared necessitating more repeated re-boots until the PC started sometimes showing the new Is My New Hard Drive Faulty drive successfully and sometimes not I ran the Western Digital Lifeguard Diagnostic program and my hard drive passed After working fine for two days the hard drive started playing up again going through the previous antics but this time appearing in My Computer as a hard drive but no reported size Upon re-boot it would prompt a check disk then find a corrupt Master File table and then abort At this point my new hard drive is completely useless and inaccessible I tried using TestDisk to repair the problem but the back-up mirror file was also corrupt I have managed to salvage some files from it using the Zero Assumption Recovery program which took nearly hours to complete its scan and verification but the question still remains Is my new hard drive faulty I have no idea if this behaviour is indicative of a faulty hard drive or if it could be something else I ve never had any problems such as this in all the years I have owned computers My PC is running XP with SP and the motherboard is an Asus P P SE The new hard drive is being used as a slave drive for storing files and has no operating system on it Thanks in advance for any advice nbsp

Relevancy 67.08%

Hi, i've recently bought a seagate momentus 7200.3 from ebay and when i try to copy my hard drive to it using norton ghost, i'm getting the error EC8F17B3.

"Cannot complete copying of (C:\) drive. Error EC8F0409: Cannot copy source drive to destination location. Warning A7C30019: The type of errors encountered indicate that this hard disk drive is about to fail. It is recommended that this drive be replaced soon. To ignore this error and backup this drive, select "Ignore bad sectors during copy" from the advanced options in the Drive Backup Wizard. Error E7C3000F: Device \\?\SymantecSnapshot0 cannot read 12288 sectors starting at LBA 174724072. Error EBAB03F1: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
Details: 0xA7C30019"

Just wondering what this means and if theres anyway around it? Problem with the drive maybe? Also i've been running the copy and selecting "Ignore bad sectors during copy".

Regards, Dave.

A:Faulty hard drive?

Sounds like a bad drive.

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:

Manufacturer's Tests
Victoria for DOS
Victoria for Windows (Both versions of Victoria are among the best and most thorough tests available.)
HD Tune
CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:

TachTech
BleepingComputer

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-hard-drive.809735/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello, Ive just put a second hard-drive in my pc for storage. It works fine apart from it keeps dissapearing from My Computer & I have to reboot to get it to appear in the drive list.
Also Ive tried to find it in disc management & disc management wont load & just gives me this error 'Unable to connect to logical disc manager service' and 'the dependancy service or group faled to start'

Also compmanagement keeps freezing up when I ask to look at removeable storage.

Ive looked in the event log & about an hour ago I had this log ' An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.'

Do you think the hard drive may be faulty?

Relevancy 66.22%

Hello guys,

When I plug in my 80GB External HD USB drive it turns all other devices off etc and doesn't work. Is it faultly?

A:Is my External hard-drive faulty?

What other devices are turned off?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/264751-my-external-hard-drive-faulty.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hello I built my PC about two years ago and it runs pretty well I turn it suck drive? Hard does just Faulty really Or XP off a few times a Faulty Hard drive? Or does XP just really suck week and use it every day But recently I have been having problems I turned off my computer before I went to work Came home and turned the computer on When I entered my login password I got some quot Domain could not be found quot error and it took me back to the login page I tried to find a fix for this but was unable to so I gave up I installed a new copy of XP on a different partion of my hard drive I split my hard drive up into two different partions when I built it for an installation of linux which I never got round to installing I ve been using this new copy of windows for about a week but a few days ago I Faulty Hard drive? Or does XP just really suck have been having troubles again I turn on my computer and it comes to the quot select an operating system quot screen If I choose the OS that I was using previously I get to the log in screen and it just tells me that it could not conect to the remote host which is expected since I haven t tried to fix it again since If I choose the NEW OS that I recently installed and press enter then the screen goes dark and then nothing happens I have on several ocassions left it on this screen for a long time without any kind of change But the strange thing is the computer is still on and its being all noisy and computery in terms of how it sounds So my question is Do I have a faulty hard drive By the way I forgot to mention that my computer ever since a few days before the first installation of windows became useless I had been getting the occasional message when I started the computer saying that quot one of my disks needs to be checked for consistency quot After which it would goe through all of this quot checking files quot quot recovering orphaned files quot and quot checking security descriptors quot crap Must I replace the Hard drive nbsp

A:Faulty Hard drive? Or does XP just really suck

You can run diagnostics on the drive to rule out failure:

Depending on the brand:

Samsung http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/utilities/Support_HUTIL.html
Seagate/Maxtor/Quantum http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/
Western Digital http://support.wdc.com/download/
IBM/Hitachi http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
fujitsu/Seimens http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/download/hard-drives/#diagnostic
IBM/Hitachi http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-hard-drive-or-does-xp-just-really-suck.741883/
Relevancy 66.22%

Windows boots and works fine except for a few occasional blue screens and freezes. But I went to go check out my hard drive today and I noticed a few scorch marks on the chip on the underside. It was on the middle and on the grey metal piece. It was brown a bit. I'm wondering if this may cause problems. I have tried running seatools and it came up with 0 errors.

A:Is my hard drive faulty/broken?

Do you have any idea how long the scorch marks have been there?

In particular, have they been there longer than you have had blue screens?

If the drive passes all Seatools tests and behaves OK in operation, it's difficult to make a case for it being defective.

Have you run a benchmark on the drive?

Barring more info, I'd assume the blue screens and freezes are unrelated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/241751-my-hard-drive-faulty-broken.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hey A few months back I built myself a new PC and everything was working great for a month or so no problems at all However for the past few weeks I have been having trouble with I assume my hard drive hard faulty drive? failures, Boot and getting it to boot my OS Boot failures, faulty hard drive? Win x Heres what happens I power up my PC and it goes through the quot Asus Express Gate quot and other quot BIOS stuff quot - I notice that my HDD doesnt appear in the Sata device list on the next screen it says quot Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key quot So I restart and hit Delete to check my Boot Devices in the BIOS My Samsung HDD does not appear anywhere as if it was disconnected I open up the case to check the SATA and Power connectors which are all seated firmly in their sockets The first time this happened I quot solved quot the problem by plugging the Boot failures, faulty hard drive? HDD into a different SATA port on my MB It booted up Windows fine for a couple of days but then the same thing happened again and again I tried a different SATA port with the same results I have been having this problem for around months now and recently when I have tried reseating the SATA connector Boot failures, faulty hard drive? in a different port and rebooting it is not working right away and I have to try multiple ports with much rebooting in order to get it to work I have tried using the hard drives from my old PC which work fine and I was able to boot up Win XP I checked all my drivers were up to date - which they were So I was wondering whether any of you wonderful peoples had any ideas about what may be causing this problem and any suggestions on how to fix it I suspect that I have a faulty hard drive but I d like to try whatever I can before returning it Thank you for reading any suggestions will be much appreciated Jimmy nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-failures-faulty-hard-drive.971168/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi I ve just updated my Win XP PC to Vista All was going well with the installation full clean install until I came to choose which drive to load Vista onto My C drive had a yellow warning triangle next to it and I was informed my hard drive was about to fail Thinking this could be a glitch I chose to install Vista anyway All was going well until a few hours later Vista informed me that the HD was failing and Drive as Vista Hard Faulty!!! Reports I should backup my data This message repeated several times over the next couple of hours Vista Reports Hard Drive as Faulty!!! and eventually I got an option to disable it which I did Now the HD was brand new in Dec and I had no problems what so ever in XP apart from maybe a slow transfer rate a few times when I backed up large quantities of data to my Gb external drive So is this just a software glitch Or should I RMA the drive My System consists of CPU Intel Core Duo E MB Gigabyte GA P-S i P RAM x Gb PC PSU Akasa W GPU GTO Mb HD Gb Samsung SP C SpinPoint P Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

My PC s hard drive recently failed and had to be replaced Thankfully I had a bit of warning as the drive Drive Accessing On Faulty Data Hard had been acting strangely for a while so I d backed up pretty-much everything that s important to me before the failure However there is one email that I received just Accessing Data On Faulty Hard Drive before the crash and which is very important to me Unfortunately I didn t have time Accessing Data On Faulty Hard Drive to back this up I would like to Accessing Data On Faulty Hard Drive try to retrieve this email from off of the faulty drive and have read quite widely on the internet that one way of possibly gaining temporary access to a faulty drive is to place the faulty drive in some ziplock bags to exclude moisture and then to deep freeze it afterwhich and once reconnected it just may work for long enough to back up important docs Some say to freeze the drive for hours and some say for at least a week but my question is no matter how long the drive is frozen for does it actually help it to work or is it just a joke with me being so stupid as to believe it I mean surely after re-connection and once the frozen drive begins to warm back up water droplets may form on its suface and circuitry which certainly wouldn t bode well for continued operation when connected to a volt supply When all is said and done I would like to retrieve my lost data but not at the expense of turning my entire PC into toast Let s suppose I keep the freshly frozen drive out of the PC case let s say on an antistatic bag and connect it to its own volt supply and not the same one as used to power the rest of the PC so that the only connection it has to the main board is by means of its SATA cable Would I be likely to do any damage this way Perhaps just worth a mention that when the drive failed it just sat there either making a clicking noise or doing nothing with the PC continually displaying the blue screen of death Ultimately can anyone suggest any better ways of gaining access to data on a faulty drive Any suggestions gratefully received nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

My sister dropped my laptop and I am worried I may have a faulty hard drive.

Is there any good tool out there which can thoroughly check my Hard Drive for ANY error at all?

Thanks

A:Dropped my Laptop may have faulty Hard Drive

Use something like SeaTools to check condition of HDD, link to download here

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/148578-dropped-my-laptop-may-have-faulty-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I saw the following post relating to a batch of faulty hard drives and was wondering whether anyone nbsp is able to confirm nbsp the Drive Validity of Posting Faulty Hard validity of this issue nbsp https m reddit com r sysadmin comments x h f hgst Validity of Faulty Hard Drive Posting gb drive failures ref search posts nbsp Validity of Faulty Hard Drive Posting I purchased a Lenovo L a few years ago and have had endless problems with the machine Every - weeks it just wont boot up and I have to reinstall the OS I had taken it in for repairs indicating that I suspected the hard drive as the root cause of my problem but the drive was never replaced Needless to say the problems have never been resolved so I was very nbsp interested when I came across the aforementioned posting indicating that the nbsp problem was due to faulty hard disks installed in a large batch of machines manufactured around th April the same time as my L was manufactured nbsp nbsp If there is any truth to this posting I really feel I've been taken for a ride as the HDD should have been replaced whilst still under warranty when I initially took the machine in for repairs

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-L-R-and-SL-series/Validity-of-Faulty-Hard-Drive-Posting/td-p/3350537
Relevancy 65.36%
A:Dell Warranty - Faulty Hard Drive

Good question!

First, what brand is the hard drive? Just about every manufacturer has their own diagnostic software. Go to their site and download it, and test the hard drive yourself.

Then, if you feel you should still send it in, wipe it clean first, using tools such as Eraser.

Hope this helps,
~Jonathan

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/57490-dell-warranty-faulty-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi all,

I have exactly the same problem with my sons Sony Vaio laptop as the member in thread:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/909494-my-laptop-says-has-no-2.html

The Hard drive is a Seagate ST9160821AS but having looked on the net it would appear this model is not made anymore.

Does anyone know of a different model HDD that I could purchase that would be compatible with this laptop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Phil.

Relevancy 65.36%

I had purchased a Seagate SATA GB some months back It died within months It was in warranty so i got a replacement The replacement HD looked brand Hard Solved: New Drive: Faulty? Sata new and packed in an antistatic bag Today i took out the hard drive and connected it to my PC On starting the PC it started to give a strange spinning noise and i could hear faint clicks I checked in the BIOS It took sometime before i could Solved: New Sata Hard Drive: Faulty? get into the BIOS the red HD led was on constantly like it happens with a bad HD After a delay i got into BIOS but the HD was not detected in the BIOS I checked the connections and tried again Again not detected in Solved: New Sata Hard Drive: Faulty? BIOS I had two SATA power connectors and SATA cables I tried all of them Same result I could hear faint clicking and BIOS didnt detect the HD I have SATA ports I started to change ports Two ports didnt work Then on rd port I was able to get into BIOS without any delay and without the constant HD led glowing And there was no clicking sound and the HD was detected in the BIOS I shut down checked again It was detected again Then i did diagnostic check on the HD with the seagate tools CD It passed both the short and long tests When i did the acoustic test two times both the time drive spins and it makes a faint click at the last Now am confused should i keep this HD or should i take it for replacement again I could hear faint clicking first and no detection of the drive when i tried earlier few times But after that the HD was detected and ran fine without any clicks and it even passed the tests Is the HD faulty nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

Last year i built a computer with an intel DG tl motherboard quad core q processor and seagate barracuda hard drive From the Solved: Motherboard Hard or Drive Faulty beginning Vista seemed to be having alot of problems but didnt think anything of it cause well its vista The problems were windows explorer stopped working this happened alot alot So recently ive been having problems with booting up it freezes before windows can reach the log in stage Sometimes if i let it sit a few days and replug Solved: Faulty Motherboard or Hard Drive in the SATA it will load up but eventually crashes It does alot of memory dumping too And i have changed the SATA cable ive tried that already So my question is do you think Solved: Faulty Motherboard or Hard Drive it is the motherboard or the Hard drive Ive already ruled out vista i really doubt its that My assumtion is that it is the motherboard i did some research and found out other people had problems with the board too If there is any questions that will help narrow down the possibility of whats wrong feel free to ask Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 64.93%

Hi About a month ago I posted a problem I was hard drive...or Dead enclosure? faulty external having with my very old Dell Dimension giving me an FDC failure error instead of booting up I tried every recommended solution multiple times before finally giving up and deciding to just get a new computer rather than throw good money after bad Dead hard drive...or faulty external enclosure? I bought a new Dell Inspiron s from Dell Outlet thanks for the rec Compaq which I received earlier this week My plan was to take out the Dead hard drive...or faulty external enclosure? old hard drive and use it as a secondary drive on the new one until I discovered that wouldn t be possible because the Inspiron isn t compatible with PATA Eh no problem I ll just turn it into an external drive instead So I bought an Acomdata external enclosure followed the installation instructions carefully and connected the external hard drive to the new desktop through the USB port The computer won t recognize the drive I tried it on my laptop and had the same problem not recognized and not listed in the device manager The LED on the enclosure lights up but the drive isn t spinning or powering up at all Could it be that my hard drive is actually dead when all along I thought my motherboard was fried Is there any way I can recover the data on the drive nbsp

Relevancy 64.93%

Ok here's my situation. I have a computer that will not boot up. So I want to check the hard drive on it to see if it is the hard drive that is kaput. I have another computer. However the working computer is using an SATA cable with it's hard drive. There is however an open place to put in a 40 pin ribbon cable. Can I just take the ribbon cable out of the faulty computer and plug it into the motherboard on the working computer. Or will this cause problems? All I want to do is see if the faulty computer's have drive is junk or not.Thanks.

A:Testing out a HARD DRIVE from a faulty computer to see if it works or not.

Make sure the old cable is an 80 wire 40 pin. The empty controller in the newer computer may also need to be turned on in the bios.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/testing-out-a-hard-drive-from-a-faulty-computer-to-see-if-it-works-or-not.429873/
Relevancy 64.93%

Have viewed the prior fixes for this error however unable to shrink or move files due to a faulty hard drive. Any suggestions??? Outlook is not responding and I need HELP as I am trying to back up prior to installing the new hard drive!!! It is noted the restore points (both auto and manual) do not appear so I'm also unable to restore to a prior point when everything was working. Also need clarification (more simple instructions) on how to query for the defective cluster(s) to see if I may be able to fix or somehow get around my hard drive problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-pst-error-0x8007045d-faulty-hard-drive.918357/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hello Everyone help advice needed please I have a HP laptop that had TB c drive i from Drive Hard Data been thats Recover Faulty partitioned partitioned it into two further drives Drive E and Drive F both had been assigned a drive letter weeks ago my laptops hard drive became faulty and i sent it off to repair with Knowhow I asked my data to be recovered before they put in a new one So what they did was only save what was on my C drive which was hardly anything and NOTHING of my other two important drives Recover Data from Faulty Hard Drive thats been partitioned E F was saved at all I phoned them up and spoke to the IT section and they said they will send the faulty hard drive back and for me to return it back to them via the store with an external hard drive so it can be recovered so what i want to know is can the data be recovrerd as EVERYTHING was saved on those two drives I have been told various things One said it cant be recovered because the main C drive was partitioned and someone else said it can be i do regular backups but since begining of this year i have not been able to as i was hospitalised in ICU and everything i did before that i didnt manage to backup and now i fear all that has been lost can anyone reassure me that it will be recovwred

A:Recover Data from Faulty Hard Drive thats been partitioned

As long as the 3 partitions where not over-written by "Knowhow" the data should all be intact and readable to the extent that the drive is readable..

when you get your old HDD back - purchase a HDD to USB external adapter - and you should be able to access the data..
to copy it over to another HDD > that is what they are going to do..

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/65909-recover-data-faulty-hard-drive-thats-been-partitioned.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I have a failing 1TB HD that I want to replace with a SSD 250-500GB HD. Do I need a 1TB HD replacement to use recovery disk? The only programs/apps are MS Office and printer software, so I know there is enough space. Thanks, Paul.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Recovery-disk-install-when-replacing-faulty-hard-drive-with/td-p/5758160
Relevancy 64.07%

I have a TB HD external cause enclosure Could drive hard Solved: to click? faulty Seagate SATA HD that s about a yr old I bought an iMicro external enclosure for it and I use it for backup storage So it s turned off most of the time Over the last couple weeks I ve been having problems getting the drive to connect to the computer when I turn it on it s connected via USB The drive clicks whirs and speeds up and slows down as it tries to connect Sometimes I have to turn it off and on again to get it to go So is Solved: Could faulty external hard drive enclosure cause HD to click? the drive really bad I thought I d be in good shape w a Seagate drive when I bought it last yr but recently I heard that they were bought out and their drives aren t that good anymore Or could it be the external enclosure Like if it wasn t supplying good power to the drive would that make the drive act like that I recently got a new MSI mobo that has SATA ports but my boot drive is IDE If I tried to hook up the Seagate drive to a SATA port for testing purposes ie that would eliminate the external enclosure from the scenario would that interfere w the IDE drive nbsp

A:Solved: Could faulty external hard drive enclosure cause HD to click?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-could-faulty-external-hard-drive-enclosure-cause-hd-to-click.880304/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hello all I made a post regarding the performance failing of one of my supply power affect hard performance? drive/computer Faulty hard drives The conclusion we came to has unfortunately not resolved my problem and I am beginning to think my Power Supply may be the culprit Faulty power supply affect hard drive/computer performance? ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Before I go into details here is my current Hardware Q GHZ GIGABYTE EP -DS R GB PC mhz x gb x gb Nvidia GTX mb requires x pin power adapters Asus Xonar soundcard requires floppy power adapters Windows x Jeantech W PSU modular PSU PCI-E nodes and nodes for other devices gb HDD operating system tb HDD data tb HDD data tb HDD data - added recently ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ My original problem in brief Upon accessing certain files in one of my TB drives I hear a distictive quot click lockup halt quot sound and then the entire system crashes first the drive will become inaccessible then windows explorer will crash followed by the mouse and eventually a BSOD after a minute ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I bought a new TB a month ago to replace what then I thought was a failing TB drive Since the problems have become quot random quot and happen across all four drives tb tb gb tb I am now considering my PSU the culprit Jeantech Absolute w It seems logical to me Sometimes while performing tasks which put stress on several HDD s at the same time my computer is quot choking quot running as fast smooth as it should but with sudden freezes with those HDD quot click - stop - restart quot sounds Booting into windows is failing from time to time freezes on the quot starting windows quot screen or DISK BOOT FAILURE Insert system disk The PSU is modular - could certain quot plugs quot in my PSU are faulty I haven t tested this extensively but in some cases when the computer is not starting up at all using different power ribbon cable combinations seems to help Also I had to remove my DVD drive completely when I first installed the new TB I bought and I don t think my computer will start at all with it plugged in anymore so my PSU MUST be having a hard time coping with all the components If it is of any relevance I use an Nvidia GTX which requires x PCI-E pin power connections hard drives power is supplied via THREE modular ribbon power cables - two HDD s share power from the same ribbon cable lastly worth noting I use an asus Xonar sound card requires floppy power connector several symptoms suggest the PSU any thoughts nbsp

A:Faulty power supply affect hard drive/computer performance?

a 1000Watt shouldn't have any problem coping with the components that you have, i would recommend that u borrow a power supply from a friend and try it out on your computer, maybe the power supply is old and is not supplying proper voltages on all the rails....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/faulty-power-supply-affect-hard-drive-computer-performance.160966/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hello Everyone Thank you for taking time to read my post hard-drive) faulty sure (pretty A a Occurred it's Disk Error not Read Here is my issue in as concise of terms as A Disk Read Error Occurred (pretty sure it's not a faulty hard-drive) possible Computer is a Sony Vaio VGC-RC G not sure about motherboard About weeks ago computer starts refusing to boot giving errors that make me think the hard drive is bad Computer will still occasionally boot after - tries I bought a new hard drive and tried to create an image of the old drive onto the new using Clonezilla the process gave a few errors The computer flatly refused to boot from the new drive gave disk read errors However when I could boot using the old drive I could get in and explore the image of the new drive and the image copy process seemed to have worked okay As part of the disk image copy process my new drive had partitions and about megs of free space The two partitions were the main windows partition from the old drive and the recovery partition I combined all partitions and formatted the new drive using Gparted because I thought that the disk image copy probably just recreated errors in the old drive onto the new After the format my computer then consistently refused to boot from either drive in the past I could boot to the old drive after a couple of tries The error was usually quot a disk read error occurred' or quot BOOTMGR is missing quot Attempts to install windows using windows install DVD failed because computer couldn't write to the new hard drive Both hard drives would usually appear in bios when I entered into it I know at least one time where neither appeared in the bios although sometimes computer would fail allow me to edit bios altogether I attached the new hard drive to a DIFFERENT COMPUTER and installed a clean version of windows Ultimate x to the new drive The DIFFERENT COMPUTER boots just fine from the new hard drive But when I move the new hard drive to back to the old computer I consistently now get quot a disk read error occurred quot error I don't believe it is a SATA cable issue because power to drive seems to be fine and I had to use the SATA cable from the old computer when hooking the drive up to the DIFFERENT COMPUTER and it worked fine Also Gparted recognizes the drive just fine and has no problems formatting partitions etc so there is communication happening through the SATA cable and the power cable is powering adequately TL DR summary New hard drive works fine with new computer but old computer when connected to same new hard drive gives me a quot disk read error occurred quot Based on the evidence I don't think it's a faulty drive issue I'm also skeptical that it's a cable issue but haven't ruled out this possibility What should I do next in terms of identifying the problem I've currently exhausted my admittedly limited hardware troubleshooting expertise Thanks again for helping me work on this I appreciate it Love wackydavo P S Edited for clarity typos punctuation etc

A:A Disk Read Error Occurred (pretty sure it's not a faulty hard-drive)

It is a Sony laptop, not really serviceable except by them, I did find this on Sony's site. You could try resetting the bios.
Sony eSupport - VGC-RC110G - Support

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/267487-disk-read-error-occurred-pretty-sure-its-not-faulty-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi Hope someone can help me Something happened to my hard drive and it ran checkdisk but I guess could not repair it it says there is not enough space to repair it There was about gb free on the drive it was a gb drive The drive is NFTS It is not my boot drive just one of my gb data drives music actually When I ran FileScavenger on the drive all the files are there and when I recovered some to another drive they were fine There are files on it I could transfer all the files off the drive but that would be a lot of work take a lot of time and I would have to buy another drive to put them on So the data is there and - in back? drive access Windows data to hard access get on to Lost how intact just for some reason it cannot be quot seen quot I assume this is file structure table thing issue pardon my Lost access to data on hard drive in Windows - how to get access back? technical jargon MBR FAT not sure exactly Is there a way to rebuild it so that the data can be seen again or do I have to do the transfer dance Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Lost access to data on hard drive in Windows - how to get access back?

You will probably have to do the "transfer" dance, and reformat the drive. Chances are good that the drive is ok. The Master Boot Record (MBR) may be corrupted. There are utilities out there that can repair the MBR without destroying data

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-access-to-data-on-hard-drive-in-windows-how-to-get-access-back.111953/
Relevancy 53.75%

The other day i went to format a partition(called drive D) of a hard drive in dos mode. Just after i pressed enter for the format to begin i relised that in dos my partitioned drive D was actually called drive G and my other hard drive which was drive E was called D, so I was actually formatting drive E. I quickly pressed restart and once in windows tried accessing drive E but it wouldnt let me because it sais it needs to be formatted because it hasnt got a File System. Ive used getdataback to access it but I want to know if there is a way to give the drive a file system name without actually formatting it?

Relevancy 53.32%

I want to copy an access database from a zip drive to a hard drive. Can I simply just select the database and do a copy and paste or is there anything else involved? Also, what would be the easist way to make changes to the database on the hard drive and have them update on the zip drive and vice versa?

A:copy access database from zip drive to hard drive

That should do it.
Copy/paste or click and drag.

To "back up" the database regularly?
Copy and paste over.
There is no EASIER way without getting very involved.
Since the drive is just for a simple backup, I would keep it simple.

Please make sure you're compacting your Access DB on close (Tools-Options, General tab, in 2000 and above), so that it doesn't unnecessarily get bigger and bigger.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/copy-access-database-from-zip-drive-to-hard-drive.225042/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have win xp,sevice pack 2 with 2 hard drive.

Recently my PC encountred a virus attack named "net.net"
I scaned my PC with AVG and removed all virus,but after that I cannot access 2 partition(D-drive and E-drive) on 1st hard disk.
Everytime I click on both the partitions I get a error msg "The disk in drive D(name) is not formated Do you want to format it now?"
I cannot access through windows explorer and any of options shown on right click on the icon of D and E-drive(like "open" , "search" , "explore" & so on..)

If u have a solution please sen it to my e-mail ID: [email protected]

A:unable to access a partition drive of hard drive

The virus likely corrupted or deleted the partition information. I've used a few apps in the past with mixed results, you can give Partition Table Doctor a try.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/unable-to-access-a-partition-drive-of-hard-drive-410626.html
Relevancy 52.03%

when I go to access my C drive an eror message pops up and says

"Windows cannot find "RECYCLER\s-1-2-94-100026750-100011381-100025454-5413.com'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click Start, and then click Search"

I've uploaded a print screen of the windo that pops up if that helps.

I don't know what to do can you help plz!?!?

A:[SOLVED] I can't Access my C drive (hard drive)

http://download.cnet.com/Autorun-Eat...-10752777.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-i-cant-access-my-c-drive-hard-drive-358943.html
Relevancy 52.03%

My hard drive crashed seemingly due to a trojan horse. Unfortunately I did not have a recent back up. So I hooked it up as a slave to another drive. I can access some of the data, but my most recent data is not accessable. I'm sure this is because of the password protection on a different profile.

I am using Windows XP Home Edition which does not have the administrator tools that professional does. Isn't there a way that I can get around the security and log in through DOS?

Do I need to use the old motherboard with the new drive in order to do this?

I know there has to be a way to do this and I am desperate to get my data off of the drive.

Please HELP!!!!!

A:Hard Drive Crash-Access from another drive

Background please: Did you try a repair install? No data loss with that.

Can you get hold of/make a Win98 startup disk?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-crash-access-from-another-drive.81665/
Relevancy 51.6%

Just built a new machine and booted it for first time the other day Had a problem first of all with the machine losing power and dying Sorted that by buying a new PSU The PSU was the only part that was definatley not brand new so sods law really Got the new power supply installed and booted up to run the Vista install from disc There is a weird clunking sound coming from the hard disk though help.... Possible hard faulty, disk please and occasionally a kind of bouncing sound can just be heard When I Possible hard disk faulty, please help.... got to the hard disk Partition formatting part before the actual install it showed up the hard disk with the correct capacity so I partitioned with the maximum amount and then clicked on format It just hung for ages and then told me no hard disk could be found I checked the BIOS and it was seeing a hard disk and showing the correct capacity I dont know what to think Is my hard disk faulty what is that weird sound Does anyone know Damien nbsp

A:Possible hard disk faulty, please help....

Did you tighten the screws on the HDD?
Why didn't let Vista Format the HDD to new NFS.
If you a clunking noise the HDD is gone..

Did you say you just built a new PC but used old parts?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/possible-hard-disk-faulty-please-help.69661/
Relevancy 51.17%

My current computer runs Windows bit and since the hard drive cables are SATA I thought maybe I d try to use some of the old hard drives I have lying around from various laptops and junk computers from over the years old hard Trying access to drive an to get At this point none of the other computers exist anymore - just Trying to get access to an old hard drive the hard drives Anyway I hooked up an old laptop hard drive which I believe came from a machine running Vista -bit and at first I wasn t even able to see it in the Windows explorer until I moved it to a different SATA slot on the motherboard Now I can see it but I can t do anything with it The drive is designated as the Q drive quot Microsoft Office Click-To-Run Protected quot and any attempt to format or change ownership to my administrative account on this computer is met with quot Access Denied quot or quot You do not have permission quot or some variation on those I m aware that the MS click-to-run thing was a product of the virtual environment and is deliberately difficult to get rid of but I already have MS Office installed on this machine and I d like to make use of the hard drive - as it stands this ridiculous thing is holding about GB worth of storage space hostage and I want it back So how do I get Windows to let me format that drive and use it how I want nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

I'm new to this forum and here's what happened My old Windows XP Desktop stopped running weeks help! access old Can't Drive, need Hard ago with a No OS Found error Since then I've taken the hard drive out and connected it to my new Windows desktop with a USB to SATA Adapter It does not show up in Can't access old Hard Drive, need help! quot My Computer quot but is detected in Computer Management The drive's an old Western Digital WD one and started clicking for a few seconds as soon as I attached it to the PC w the USB Adapter The clicking stopped after that It shows up as quot Disk Unknown with the amount of data on it GB out of and is Unallocated I've already tried numerous utility and Data Recovery programs such as Recuva MiniTool Partition Wizard EaseUS Data Partition Recovery No luck with these They were either not detected or didn't find anything MiniTool Partition Wizard said it's a quot Bad Disk quot I Partition Find and Mount is still conducting a scan which has been going for the past hours but I'm open to any help right now I'm already about to give up on using software recovery programs and have this handed over to a professional for a costly price BTW - I really can't leave the hard drive on for the night to conduct a long scan It's been overheating and I already have a large fan next to it to cool it down It's not safe to leave this on for an extended period of time All help is appreciated I really don't want to lose years of Personal things and I even tried backing it up - Only to find out I bought a USB Adapter instead of a my old XP supported when It still ran

A:Can't access old Hard Drive, need help!

Hello Jackson22 Welcome to the Ten Forums!

That clicking sound you initially hear doesn't sound good at all and likely is the main reason for not seeing any volume being mounted. The Read/Write heads are slapping up against the main spindle in the drive is what you are hearing with the clicking sound before the armature simply freezes up on you. You can just about forget the use of any recovery software since the problem is worn hardware!

I think after this you will start to fully understand the term "Backup" which can any number of options for seeing anything and everything backed up from a partition or drive onto external or removable media or simply to another drive installed on the system just in case something like this comes up. And unfortunately I have to indicate here that you may likely have to bring the drive in to a shop where your files can be recovered for you. You either bring blank dvd-rs, a couple of large flash drives if not an external or spare hard drive you have where they can restore the files to for a fee of course.

Laptops in particular are notorious at times for failed drives due to how vulnerable those are due to the smaller compact size in order to run on battery powered portable units. In contrast 3.5" desktop type drives are generally survivors until worn out. The overheating problem you are seeing is from the motor inside the drive itself struggling to move the armature and will continue to run HOT!

The drive is obviously "Toast" and extending efforts overnight can't be advised! You could possibly see too much heat reach the drive's platters effecting the magnetic coating and lose everything! Removing it from the system, allowing it to cool down, and packing in an esd anti-static bag if you have one to bring it into a shop is the best option for you at this time.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/42326-cant-access-old-hard-drive-need-help.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Reinstalled xp on access second drive Cant hard a computer for a friend He had all his pics and music on second hard drive It is a gig IDE seagate Main drive gig WD sata drive I unhooked second drive formatted and reinstalled xp on main hard drive hooked up second drive and it is seen in bios and in disk management as a healthy drive but has no drive letter nor can I access it Motherboard is a asus A n sli deluxe Second drive hooked up as master on second ide slot When Cant access second hard drive i try to assign it a drive letter in disk management that option is grayed out When i tried to boot from second hard drive it contains no operating system but i saw norton go-back come up for a moment After researching on net i think that is the problem Hooked drive up to my computer and same thing I know he had norton on main drive but dont know why he had it on secondary hard drive I think he is going to be unhappy about losing his pics and music but if i cant access drive or get windows to assign it a letter i dont see how i can save his stuff Any Ideas anyone nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

I ve searched previous posts and this type of problem seems quite common but I haven t been able to find the solution I ve plugged an external Gb hard drive into my USB port The hard USB access hard Cannot drive drive has it s own power supply I get a chime from the PC when I switch it on or off and it s listed under Disk drives in Device Manager but it doesn t show under Computer When I click on it Cannot access USB hard drive in Device Manager it tells me the device is working properly Computer is a Compaq presario A running Vista Hard drive is a Western Digital Caviar Green SATA drive It shows up on Device Manager as WDC WD AADS- S B I would have attached a screen dump of Device Manager but I couldn t work out how to to it I pressed Alt and the home prt sc keys on the Device Manager screen and then ctrlV in this window but nothing happened Any help much appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

to whom ever may be able to help me,
i am using a dell desktop pc and i bought a hard drive docking bay so i could access irreplaceable programs and things from an older e machine hard drive.
NOW all works well except i try to open certain files and it says Not accessible, access is denied
please anyone who can help these files are life impact important!
please direct me how to get into this hard drive very very much thanks to any helpers

Kas--

A:Hard drive access

Files which are located inside a user account folder on the drive which has been moved to another PC are "access denied" to protect the privacy of the person to whom that account belongs -- even if that person is you. You are now using a different account & Windows has no way of knowing that you are the same person who owns that old user account.

What you need to do is "take ownership" of those folders:

For Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

For Windows Vista: http://www.nirmaltv.com/2008/07/11/how-to-take-ownership-of-files-and-folders-in-vista/

For Windows 7: http://techblissonline.com/file-folder-ownership-in-windows-7/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-access.976876/
Relevancy 51.17%

A little over a year ago I purchased a used IBM Thinkpad laptop from ebay for my wife. It came with Windows 2000 Professional installed and everything worked fine. No CDs or floppies came with the computer. A couple of months later, it was stolen by one of her business associates. It eventually was recovered, but the thief had installed Windows XP along with the OS that was already installed. In trying to remove XP and return the machine to its original state, I somehow managed to eventually not be able to use either OS. As it stands now I have no OS and cannot even access my hard drive.

When I boot from a floppy then try to change to C: drive, I get the error message:

Invalid media type reading drive c:
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Relevancy 51.17%

Is there a way to access a NTFS formatted hard drive from a bootable flopy diskette. I have read that this cannot be done for security reasons.

A:hard drive access

It's not as easy, but still do-able!

How to Create a Bootable Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition (Q119467)
You can also go to http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml and get a bootdisk for each Windows OS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-access.86596/
Relevancy 51.17%

someone please help me! i was using my computer when out of the blue it restarted itself (an error message coma up saying the computer was restarting because of an unexpected termination of services.exe) well when the computer was all started up again my second hard drive was not showing up. i went to add/remove hardware and the hard drive shows up and according to the computer there is nothing wrong with it. But when i enter windows explorer my main hard drive only shows up i really need to fix this because most of my important files are saved on that drive. so yea please someone help me!

Relevancy 51.17%

Hey all,

I just upgraded clean from XP to Vista Premium and now I cannot access my second hard drive in which I did not install vista on. I moved all my important documents onto this drive and really would like to use/see them again. When I go into my D: (2nd HD) I see a bunch of folders with names like "0d230a144df2d502e286b6e6fe38". When I doubt click it says I have no permission, then it edits security and I see one file in there called "msxml4-KB927978-enu". This happens with every folder! Is there anything I can do?

Thanks,
Alex

A:Cannot access Second Hard Drive

Download the demo version of [email protected] Boot Disk . Burn the ISO image to a CD. Boot up your computer from the CD . See if you can read the drive in question with Active NTFS Reader which will be on the CD.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cannot-access-second-hard-drive-240532.html
Relevancy 51.17%

hey for the past day everytime i click on the c drive all i get is an autorun message i am not able to open any drive on my PC i checked this site for help and then downloaded drive Please to Help! the hard not able access Am the hijackthis software this is the log file pls reply asap as to what is the solution HELP Logfile Please Help! Am not able to access the hard drive of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost Please Help! Am not able to access the hard drive exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared PIF B E DD - - c -B F- F FCA A PIFSvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C webserver bin httpd exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C webserver bin httpd exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x hpztsb exe C Program Files HP hpcoretech hpcmpmgr exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared PIF B E DD - - c -B F- F FCA A PIFSvc exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe C Program Files PowerISO PWRISOVM EXE C WINDOWS system rundll exe C PROGRA Nokia NOKIAP LAUNCH EXE C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD PDVDServ exe C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Common Files PCSuite Services ServiceLayer exe C Program Files DAEMON Tools daemon exe C Program Files Nokia Nokia PC Suite PcSync exe C Program Files WinPop winpop exe C Program Files Creative Shared Files CamTray exe C Program Files HP hpcoretech comp hptskmgr exe C webserver bin ApacheMonitor exe C PROGRA COMMON Nokia MPAPI MPAPI s exe C Program Files Java jre bin jucheck exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http go compaq com Q CDT bl asp R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant http resultsmaster com SmartOffers Services resultsmaster ResultsMasterHomeLeftPane htm O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - a f- ae- b - -ffe c d - C Program Files VideosCodec isaddon dll file missing O - BHO no name - F C-A - F -B A-ED A C C - no file O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C PROGRA MICROS Office GRA E DLL O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO no name - FCADDC -BD - A- -CDBE C D EB - C WINDOWS system win xp dll file missing O - Toolbar Protection Bar - fd cf- be - c - cda-b d c bd - C Program Files VideosCodec iesplugin dll file missing O - Toolbar no name - BF - F - - - FE E AA - no file O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run srmclean C Cpqs Scom srmclean exe O - HKLM Run SetRefresh C Program Files Compaq SetRefresh SetRefresh exe O - HKLM Run NeroFilterCheck C WINDOWS system NeroCheck exe O - HKLM Run HP... Read more

A:Please Help! Am not able to access the hard drive

Hi, Welcome to TSG!!

Please download (save) SmitfraudFix (by S!Ri) to your desktop. SmitfraudFix runs under W2K, XP only.

Extract the content (a folder named SmitfraudFix) to your Desktop. Select all of the contents and Extract them
to a new folder called SmitfraudFix.
Open the SmitfraudFix folder and double-click smitfraudfix.cmd
Select option #1 - Search by typing 1 and press "Enter"; a text file will appear, which lists infected files (if present).
Please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply.

Note : process.exe is detected by some antivirus programs (AntiVir, Dr.Web, Kaspersky) as a "RiskTool"; it is not a virus, but a program used to stop system processes. Antivirus programs cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert the user.
http://www.beyondlogic.org/consulting/proc...processutil.htm

Download SDFix and save it to your Desktop.
Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix and remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.
Remember to re-enable the protection again afterwards before connecting to the Internet.

Double click SDFix.exe and choose Install to extract it to its own folder on the Desktop. Please then reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :
Restart your computer
After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu with options should appear;
Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press "Enter".
Choose your usual account.

Open the c:\SDFix folder and double click RunThis.cmd to start the script.
Type Y to begin the script.
It will remove the Trojan Services then make some repairs to the registry and prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
Press any Key and it will restart the PC.
Your system will take longer that normal to restart as the fixtool will be running and removing files.
When the desktop loads the Fixtool will complete the removal and display Finished, then press any key to end the script and load your desktop icons.
Finally open the SDFix folder on your desktop and copy and paste the contents of the results file Report.txt back onto the forum with a new HijackThis log

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-am-not-able-to-access-the-hard-drive.686025/
Relevancy 51.17%

hi all, hope you can help me...

the motherboard in my emachine was fried. i removed my maxtor hard drive and put it in another computer as the master drive but it would not boot. then i put it it as a secondary drive and it was recognized the drive but i cannot access the files in documents and settings for my user name because it is password protected. it says access is denied. i know the password but there is no option to give the computer the password.

how can i access those files now? or is there a way to make the drive boot as a master?

please help i have lots of pictures and music on this drive!

A:can't access hard drive, please help

You will probably have to reinstall Windows on the drive to boot with it.

XP does not "password protect" individual files and folders -- but the SID (Security Identifier) for those files and folders is different and that could be why you are getting "access denied"

Take posession of them:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

or:

Permissions (using Calcs)

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/cacls.mspx?mfr=true

For example:

cacls "driveletter:\MYFolder\" /T /E /G username:F

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-hard-drive-please-help.540858/
Relevancy 51.17%

crashed;tried to reinstall XP/SP2,will not repair,says cannot access harddrive, then black screen indicating,press F1 for boot, F2 for setup utility, neither works,that is the extent of access, any ideas, system is dell, 6 yrs old,HD is value 20gb:

A:cannot access hard drive

Hello sfgabna102, and welcome to our forums!

Since you obviously have access to another computer with internet access; I'd advise you to follow these steps:

(on the working computer)
1. Download DBAN
2. Run the program, it will ask for a floppy, and create a bootdisk.

(on the computer with problems)
a. Go into BIOS and change the boot priority to "Floppy"
b. Place the just created bootfloppy in the drive
c. Save the BIOS settings and exit
d. In DBAN select "Automatic".

Your hard disk will now be erased, and brought to almost factory conditions. This may take some time. Let it do its work.

After this is done, go into BIOS again, change the boot priority to "CDROM", place your install disk, save the BIOS-settings and exit.

The installation should be started, and proceding normally. If this is not the case; open the computer casing (if not violating warranty by doing so), and check the cables to the hard disk, both: power cables and the data cables!)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-access-hard-drive-181050.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello,

My HP laptop died on me. I got the external case for the hard dire. So when I go to access it i always get access is denied. So I went to change the ownership on it it but it always gets stuck on G:\Program Files\Common Files\System\abo\msado20.tIb. I was wondering what else I can do to try and get access to my files i got everything on it.

Brian

A:Trying to get Access to my Hard Drive

Hi,

If you are just trying to access your documents etc.

Just take control of the "Users" folder "Your logon name" as this is where all your document files are!

This will then leave the system files as they are.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/285997-trying-get-access-my-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I got Windows Vista 32 bit on my laptop, but a worm W32.daprosy entered and then my OS crashed. I installed Windows 7 instead and my laptop worked perfectly.
The hard drive was now 12Gb free of 74.5G but I can't access my old files there since it was infected by W32.daprosy before. HELP! Can I still recover my files there? Or if not, is there any other way to delete the files there so I can put new files?

A:Can't access hard drive

You need to format your hard drive. It's the safest course considering how you've got infected files on the hard drive. Since your MBR records are likely on the first partition with vista and all of the files, you should just completely wipe the hard drive and peform a clean installation. You can find a link to INSTALL in my signature. Keep in mind, this procedure will delete everything on your hard drive. If you don't have one already, you should really have an external hard drive for storage and backup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/85494-cant-access-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Ok guys here is a daft one.....

Ok i have got a new HD and my old HD i now have as a slave. I need to get some docs from My Documents but when i set it up i set it up so that My Docs were private. Now i have the issue that i can not tranfer my files to my new drive.

I have had this prob before but i just used the special permissions tab and overwrote the permissions so that i could access, but now i dont have that option anymore.

I know that this option is mainly there on domain based clients but when i done it last time my client was not joined to a domain and never has been.

How do i enable this option or trick xp pro into thinking it is on a domain so i can get this option?

Thanks guys

Mick

A:Hard Drive Access

I told you it was a stupid one, Sorry guys i sorted the problem now.

I was not doing it in safe mode, hahaha

Thanks guys

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-access.590712/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi I have HDs st one is the OS docs programs and the second one is for multimedia data only I also have an Mvix multimedia Cannot Hard to Access Drive Second player A small box that can have a HD and wired amp wireless interface to access multimedia data from a server PC and connects to TV amp HiFi which is connected Cannot Access to Second Hard Drive to my PC wirelessly and Cannot Access to Second Hard Drive plays movies from my second Cannot Access to Second Hard Drive drive During the playback it froze and I turned it off then turned off my PC When I turned on the PC the PC did not see the second drive I turned off the PC unpluggged the power and turned back on again This time and many times afterwards windows Vista bit Ultimate started - minutes later windows explorer showed the drive but instead of its real volume name quot Multimedia Disk quot just as quot Local Disk quot When I tried to explore it it said device is not accessible after - seconds When I tried Computer Management- gt Disk Management to see what the system sees it just showed the quot scanning disks quot feedback message and did not show any disk neither C or optical D even after waiting for minutes In BIOS and windows device manager it shows both disks with their correct model numbers I also tried to change the SATA ports on the motherboard and it did not help I then removed the disk and put inside the Mvix Multimedia player and it recognised amp played the files without any problem The Mvix multimedia player can also be used as a storage device through its USB port with the hard disk inside Mvix box When I plugged the USB port to the computer it recognised the hard disk as usb storage device but again not with the name I gave it to but cold not access to it either So there seems to be some corrupt information stored in the computer somewhere that stops accessing the hard drive neither from its SATA port nor the USP port I think the disk would work fine if installed another computer or I reinstall Vista or I format the HD in another computer rename it differently and install back on my computer All these options or tests are not really option to me at the moment Any help on this Cheers

A:Cannot Access to Second Hard Drive

Hello jsdude99,

Are you saying the Hard Drive is connected to your computer wireless via Mvix box?

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/274621-cannot-access-second-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 51.17%

OK, I have a hard drive from another computer, a 40GB Maxtor 6L040J2, that I installed in this system as a slave hard drive. Currently, I'm running Windows 2000 Professional, and my current hard drive is a 40GB HD, it came with the system (its a Dell). When I put the Maxtor in, Win2k doesn't let me access it. It shows up as Drive E, but I can't access any data on it--which I need to do. Is there any way I can access it at all without losing data on it? Will adding a new partition help at all? The old hard drive came from an XP system, so I'm assuming it was formatted as NTFS, but Winows won't tell me what it is. Current machine is a P4 2.0Ghz, 244MB RAM. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

A:Can't access hard drive...

bump.....anybody?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-hard-drive.118021/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello My computer won't boot When I turn it on It says Quote quot Windows could drive hard Can't access not start because the following file is missing or currupt windows system vgaoem fon You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original set-up CD-ROM Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair quot I do not have the original CD-ROM and even if I try this I get to a blue window that says that Windows has shut down to protect the computer from damage So I removed my hard drive and put it in an enclosure so Can't access hard drive I could plug it into my laptop's USB The laptop recognizes that a hard drive has been plugged in and even tells me that my new hardware is installed and ready to use It assigns it a drive letter of quot I quot But when I click on the drive to access the contents it tells me I O error The drive is inaccessable The drive is a Seagate Gb with about Gb of data I downloaded the demo version of EASEUS and made an image file of my hard drive and stored it on a terrabyte external hard drive But I have to upgrade to the pay version to attempt to restore the image file Any advice What should I do Preferably it would be nice to get this hard drive to boot again so my computer returns to normal But if not it would at least be nice to access the data on the hard drive so I can back it up to my external hard drive as files rather than as an image Thanks

A:Can't access hard drive

With the drive in the external plugged in, go to Start/Run and type CMD and hit enter. In the command prompt type the drive letter of the external (i.e. I: ) and hit enter. The command prompt should now show the drive letter of the external. Now type chkdks /f/r and hit enter. Now type a Y to dismount the volume. The Check Disk utility will run and try and repair the drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-access-hard-drive-405933.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Okay so I was converting some videos directly onto my external Hard Access Ext. Can't Drive WD hard drive but my baby cousin pulled the USB from the computer that connects to my western digital hard drive Now when I plugged the cable back in the drive doesn t get read The safely remove hardware thing on the bottom right corner pops up but no auto play or external hard drive in my computer I ve done searching for quite a few hours now and no luck From Tweak UI to trying to change the letter of the mapping I still can t manage to get it to work I even tried using another USB cable from my other ext hard drive but still no luck When I go to my computer gt manage gt computer management gt storage gt disk management I Can't Access WD Ext. Hard Drive get the image below So I try to initialize it but I get quot The drive cannot find the sector requested quot Please help me someone I had a lot of video files on this I d Can't Access WD Ext. Hard Drive much appreciate it nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

I have win. xp professional and i have 3 hard drive partitions: C (windows partition) and D & E which are both data partitions. now the D&E partitions cannot be accessed through my computer and i cannot see them on device manager. the exact message i get when i double click or explore them is :
"(drive name)/ is not accessible.
the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."
and even when i try to reinstall a fresh windows copy it goes and says: " no valid system partitions were found, setup is unable to continue."
bear in mind that the copy of windows i'm trying to install is located on my C drive (the actual setup file) since even my cd/dvd drive doesn't seem to burn stuff anymore.
All i wanna do now is setup a new copy of windows, someone help please.

A:Cannot access my hard drive

Hard drive diagnostic seems in order to me.Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/ Long/extended test.Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/250252/cannot-access-my-hard-drive/
Relevancy 51.17%

when I go to access my hard drive (C), I get the message: "windows cannot find recycler\5-4-8-13-1000011703-100025680-1" make sure yout typed the name correctly and try again. I have been using the shortcut icon to my C drive on my desktop for the past year and a half, now i can't access it via icon, but I can access it using my computer-----help!

Relevancy 51.17%

Hi Guys Well long story short I have had a Western Digital My World Book Edition NAS drive White lights TB version I got sick and tired Hard Drive. access my Help?. Cant of the constant loss of connections to the drive and decided it would be more beneficial to use it either as an internal drive OR via a USB caddy Now to the problem I plug the drive into my custom PC into a spare SATA port and the computer picks it up installs it and is quot ready to use quot However when I go into Disk manager it recognises that there is a drive BUT does not allocate a drive letter to any of the partitions on the drive I took it out plugged it into my SATA -USB converter and tried on my laptop and the same problem Now my predicament is I Cant access my Hard Drive. Help?. CANT afford to lose the data on the drive and I can t use it as a NAS drive so in essence HOW can I get this dam drive working in windows without losing my data from formatting it OR how can I get this drive working in one of my Linux distro s note I run them in VMware Player My IT skills level are not so bad I work in IT so I am Cant access my Hard Drive. Help?. not afraid to get my hands dirty as you could say but I must stress whichever method I use must not erase the data from the drive as it has years of university work plus od GB of music Thanks for reading and I very much look forward to your thoughts on this Have a great day J nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-my-hard-drive-help.1057965/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have two hard drives. One, my C drive, is a SSD and is fast. The other drive D is my data drive. I find this is slow to load files. From Word and Excel files to music playlists, the delay can be anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds. This didn't used to be the case. The drive has been scanned for viruses, clean. SFC and Chkdsk, both good. Defragmented, and all is good there. Can't seem to figure it out. Ironically if I need to pull up an excel file its slow on initial load, then loads a different Excel file faster the second time. The disk is set to never go to sleep, so it should always be spinning.

Have not been able to pin this down to anything in particular. Any help is appreciated.

Relevancy 51.17%

ive just installed a fresh copy of windows on my master HDD but when i try to access my secondary HDD (F: drive) i get this message:

The Disk in Drive F is not formatted.
would you like to format now?

that hard drive has all my kept data on it and i need to access it without formatting. in Disk Management it says theres 100% free space but the disk is almost full. is there any way i can get into my hard drive?

Relevancy 51.17%

Hi I m currently stressed because I cannot access my hard drive which contains important data files Here s what happened Our older computer is a NEC Ready model Intel MHz MMX OverDrive Processor MB pin EDO RAM Windows Help! hard Can't access drive! A It has two HDDs in it the primary slave with GB capacity Conner Peripherals and a second HDD with GB capacity Western Digital Caviar The trouble began when I upgraded the computer to Windows SE When I upgraded to Help! Can't access hard drive! Win SE at first things were smooth I could access all the previously installed programs and I could retrieve data from both HDDs But since the speed was so slow I decided to back up any important data on drive C onto D format drive C which contained the Windows system files and re-install Windows SE hoping to get a clean start and a possible speed increase So I did that and installed Windows directly on the formatted C drive The BIOS will boot and detect both HDD s and other components like the CD-ROM and Floppy drives But when I double-click on quot My Computer quot I only see the C drive and not the D drive I only see the D drive at the BIOS screen where it s correctly identified How can I use drive D again Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

i have 2 hard drives on my computer , one with windows etc and the other with research info. i cant access my 2nd drive .

it doesnt even show up as being there, it shows up in the bios but cant seem to get it back.
this is what it says in my bios

ide adapter 0 master (c:636mb)
ide adapter 0 slave (none)
ide adapter 1 master (d:342mb)
ide adapter 1 slave (none)

my c drive is my main drive and the d drive is my extra drive

and after changing stuff now my a drive says it is removable and i cant use that either. please help me anyone thank you

Relevancy 51.17%

Anyways my computer was acting a little goofy lately sounded like the good ol ticking of the hard drive I took it into a local computer shop I know of where they do a free diagnostics just to be sure Sure enough it was the harddrive So I went to my local Best Buy and bought myself a nice Gig Maxtor Hard drive for a mere Canadian mind you Welp I ve HELP! Hard Drive! Cannot AHH!! Access installed the hard drive tossed in the Windows Xp Pro Edition cd and started the installation process First formatting the hard drive to NFTS and then windows xp pro started to install but with minutes or so left in the Cannot Access Hard Drive! AHH!! HELP! installation the computer reebooted for somereason As it rebooted the bios still recognizes the hard drive and the rest of the drives but once it starts to boot Windows XP it can no longer find the hard disk drive and will only boot from the cd drive Also it will only boot the Windows XP Pro installation Cannot Access Hard Drive! AHH!! HELP! cd no other cd no other floppy disk unless it is windows xp pro related In the bios everything is configured properly My harddrive is the primary master drive everything is set there is no reason it shouldn Cannot Access Hard Drive! AHH!! HELP! t work or shouldn t see that the drive is installed THe computer recognizes all the other drives I have the a d and e just not the hard disk drive Using the windows xp pro installation cd i tried the repair option of windows xp pro but everytime i do i get the blue screen of death stating that some system file is corrupt which makes no sense as the computer is not reading anything from the hard drive There is absolutely nothing there I can t even gain access to it myself By using the repair option it is the only way i can even get to a command prompt so here s my theory xp pro is somewhat installed and attempting to complete it s installation but some how along the way it has lost the fact that there is a hard drive configured for the system and now cannot read it If someone could help me I d appreciate it immensely Oh also i figured I d try updating the bios which I found isn t too out of date there was only one other latest update available but it is impossible to install this update because it needs to be run throuhg windows plus the computer won t do anything with any media be it Cd or floppy diskette unless it is windows xp pro installation cd related so fukkake I ve modded things before and haven t run into such a problem if anyone could help I d be extremely grateful Thanks -Lucio nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

I have a Packard Bell iXetreme Chassis and am trying to fit a second hard drive - this is the first job I have ever attempted. I have a 3.5 hard drive that I want to use as the second drive - I looked at the manual and managed to get the side and front door off the computer but then I don't understand how to get the drive into the metal structure. Can anyone please advise me. I realise that I have to screw it in but I don't see how I can get it in the drive bay. any help would be appreciated.

A:access to the hard drive bay

Some drive bay cages are removalable, look for screws and or latches.
Some you need to get the back cover off to be able to get at the inside screws.

There all different

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-to-the-hard-drive-bay.151787/
Relevancy 51.17%

When it comes to hardware, I am quite the beginner. If there is a link to answer to my questions, I would appreciate it.

I have a VERY old Toshiba laptop (Satellite T1950CS). I have some information on the hard drive I would like to access. The laptop does not power-up/boot-up (either the battery is dead, the internal back-up is dead, or the entire lower board has to be replaced - none of which I would like to fix).

Can I remove the hard drive and access it via my current system? If so, is there a site that has detailed instructions on how to accomplish this? If not, could someone walk me through it?

Thanks in advance!

King Cold Cuts

Relevancy 51.17%

Well I have a very important question requiring a very urgent answer if possible. I no longer have access to my computer (Cant boot WINXP). I am taking the computer to my grandfathers house to be fixed 2 days from now, and I need some type of cable to hook my hard drive to a WIN98 machine (Via USB maybe?) so I can backup some files. Please tell me they do make a cable designed for this. Not to sure of what kind of hard drive it is. I know it uses the standard IDE cable. Please Help.

A:Help! Hard drive access

If the hard drive is formatted NTFS then Windows 98 will not be able to access it.

But if the drive is IDE then just connect the hard drive internally to the Windows 98 computer using the cable its currently connected with, just like it is in the broken system.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-hard-drive-access.455674/
Relevancy 51.17%

hi

after defraging my desktop xp pro sp2 machine with auglistics pro i cant access my 2nd h/drive [data only]. how ever i try to access it im asked if i want to format it as its not already formated. computer management shows the dish as 100% free. i also ran chkdsk r on three hard drives
have i/something wiped the drive?

thanks if anyone can help

Relevancy 51.17%

I have an old ATA-66 internal hard drive. Specifically it's a Western Digital Model: WD307AA.

I'm hoping to find a reliable and safe way to access this old drive. I would prefer a docking station that this drive would fit into if one exists but any other suggestions are very welcome. I've emailed Western Digital but they have still not responded and I don't think they will at this point.

I have both USB2 and USB3 ports on my current windows 10 computer and I would prefer to use these instead of any solution that requires that I rip open my computer. I'm a novice at all things computer related.

A:How to access an old ATA-66 hard drive?

I have an old ATA-66 internal hard drive. Specifically it's a Western Digital Model: WD307AAClick to expand...

Western Digital Caviar WD307AA 30.03 GB IDE ATA66 Hard Drive

I'm hoping to find a reliable and safe way to access this old drive
I have both USB2 and USB3 ports on my current windows 10 computer and I would prefer to use theseClick to expand...

This is what you probably need.

----------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-access-an-old-ata-66-hard-drive.1159043/
Relevancy 51.17%

I need to establish where in the registry(or log file) I can locate when my back-up hard drive was last accessed/connected. Periodically I connect a hard drive to my computer for back-up purposes & store it off location. I am concerned someone has taken this hard-drive to an alternate computer & copied data.

Once connected to my computer again, is there a registry entry or log file I can view in order to establish the last time this hard-drive was accessed?
or
Even the details of the last computer it was connected to?

Any help appreciated.

A:Hard Drive Last access

Open up Windows Explorer.
Put your mouse on the Column Headings (Name ,Type, Size, etc....)
Right Click
Select More
Put on a check on Date Accessed.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-last-access-92530.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello, need your help here. I have an Apacer 500GB external HD. I got plenty of movies, files and pics on it. However when I try open it it only shows me FAT32 My Music file. If i go on the properties it shows only 46.5 GB free space which means all my files/docs are still there. But I cant access them! I also try right clicked on the HD in My Computer and copied and pasted to my desktop. It does copy the movies but I dont have that much space on my desktop to do that! How do I get my movies back? Please help................

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-hard-drive.1032868/
Relevancy 51.17%

I suspect I have a Drive Hard My Access Cannot problem with a virus of some sort that doesn't allow me to access my hard drive Every time I try to view my hard drives files I get this message Can Cannot Access My Hard Drive not find script file quot Cannot Access My Hard Drive C autorun vbs quot And when I try Cannot Access My Hard Drive to run explore with the right click it doesn't say explore it has these weird letters and numbers please help me out with any advice you have here is my HiJackThis Logs Thank you in advance Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXEC WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXEC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files Common Files InterVideo DeviceService DevSvc exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXEC Program Files Alcohol Soft Alcohol StarWind StarWindService exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files AlienGUIse wbload exeC WINDOWS system wscntfy exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS system rundll exeC Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exeC Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM EXEC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC WINDOWS RTHDCPL EXEC Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Software Update HPWuSchd exeC Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging bin hpotdd exeC WINDOWS system messengerr exeC Program Files Messenger msmsgs exeC WINDOWS system torrent exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files Internet Download Manager IDMan exe exeC Program Files Internet Download Manager IEMonitor exeC Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static ccc exeC Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exeC Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeF - REG system ini UserInit userinit exe autorun batO - BHO IDM Helper - C - - B-A BF- B C A A - C Program Files Internet Download Manager IDMIECC dllO - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - HKLM Run AsusStartupHelp C Program Files ASUS AASP AsRunHelp exeO - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osbootO - HKLM Run StartCCC C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static CLIStart exeO - HKLM Run PhilipsDM quot C Program Files Philips Philips Device Manager Bin DeviceManager exe quot O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run System Support torrent exeO - HKLM Run NeroFilterCheck C WINDOWS system NeroCheck exeO - HKLM Run MSN MESSENGER messengerr exeO - HKLM Run RTHDCPL RTHDCPL EXEO - HKLM Run SkyTel SkyTel EXEO - HKLM Run Alcmtr ALCMTR EXEO - HKLM Run PrinTray C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X printray exeO - HKLM Run HPDJ Taskbar Utility C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x hpztsb exeO - HKLM Run HP Software Update C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Software Update HPWuSchd exeO - HKLM Run DeviceDiscovery C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging bin hpotdd exeO - HKLM Run New net Startup rundll C PROGRA NEWDOT NEWDOT DLL ClientStartup -sO - HKLM RunServices System Support torrent exeO - HKLM RunServices MSN MESSENGER messengerr exeO - HKCU Run BgMonitor E - C C- d f- C - D A B AA quot C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMBgMonitor exe quot O - HKCU Run MSMSGS quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe quot backgroundO - HKCU Run Steam quot c program files valve steam steam exe quot -silentO - HKCU Run System Support torrent exeO - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exeO - HKCU Run MSN MESSENGER messengerr exeO - HKCU Run IDMan C Pro... Read more

A:Cannot Access My Hard Drive

Welcome to the BleepingComputer HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum jayrich23 My name is Richie and i'll be helping you to fix your problems.Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop:Note: Please delete any existing copy of Flash Disinfector(if any) on your pc and download this one. * Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it. * Follow any prompts that may appear. * Wait until the program has finished scanning, then please exit the program. * Restart your computer and see if problem still persists.Post a new Hijackthis log please.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/106088/cannot-access-my-hard-drive/
Relevancy 51.17%

Gateway 2000 P5-75; previously installed Win 3.1 upgraded to Windows 95.

Each time it reboots, it defaults to a: then asks for 3 passwords, then, "non-system disk" error.

Will not reboot to Gateway system restore CD; cannot access the adm. passwords.

How do I get at the hard drive to reinstall a platform?

A:cannot access hard drive

Open the case up, remove the battery off the motherboard for five minutes and see if it clears the passwords.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-hard-drive.124711/
Relevancy 51.17%

When I try to access this certain hard drive -internal I get This message "J:/ is not accessible -The Disk Structure is Corrupted and unreadable" is there anything that can be done to a least try and get some files off the drive or is it pouched does anybody know of any good HDD repair software or file recovery software. any help would be appreciated at this point as I'm Desperate There are photos of kids young I would hate to loose Iknow I'm a dummy for not backing up but I thought I had till I searched and realized See att for pictures of the error messages

A:Can.t access a Hard Drive

Is the drive recognized properly in Device Manager and Disk Manager?

If the drive is recognized properly, then the data may still be intact. I've had good luck with EaseUS Data Recovery. There are numerous programs available, and the quality software will allow a free trial which will often function to read the drive and let you know if the data can be saved (although typically not let you recover the software until you purchase the full version).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-t-access-a-hard-drive.1064463/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi i have a windows vista operating system - cant seem to access my ext h/drive - Seagate. It is only dysplaying in the " control panel under devices" please help

Relevancy 51.17%

im sorry basementgeek. since you closed my thread, i couldnt ask anymore questions. im sorry i didn't read the rules before posting.
the thing is my computer guy showed me once how to do it but i forgotten. i have access to the administrator account but i only forgot how to do it.
If its not wrong it is something to do with the group policies or something.
i wonder if anyone is able to help me out here.
Thanks again.

ps. i hope this is not against the rules too. sorry if it is.

A:access to hard drive pt 2

You will need to have your computer guy show you the solution again. There is nothing we can suggest in this case, other than to contact your "computer guy".....security measures have been put in place by the system administrator and it is up to them to grant access.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/access-to-hard-drive-pt-2-a-546047.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Since I've reinstalled Windows and upgraded my motherboard, graphics card etc, my computer hasn't been able to see my other harddrive when it could before..
How do I make it accessible again?

A:Cannot access second hard drive

"hasn't been able to see my other harddrive" where??

In the BIOS?

In Windows Explorer?

In Windows Disk Management?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/214697-cannot-access-second-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I put an 80g HD with the NTFS file system in my computer as a slave to copy some files from it to cd. When i click on the icon in my computer, it says that the drive needs to be formatted. I looked at it on partition magic and it shows the whole hard drive as full, when it was only half full.

I have been told that the file allocation tables have been corrupted.

Does this sound right or could it be something else.

If the file allocation tables have been corrupted, is there a way to get them back so that i can access my files.

Thanx in advance
Liger

Relevancy 50.74%

Greets I have serial ATA drives IDE that were used with Windows XP last year on another computer NTFS format and for which I need to recuperate the data I unplugged my internal CD DVD access drive data..HELP! cannot hard my I drive and plugged in one of them Vista recognized it and instantly updated the drivers However the data does not show under Windows Explorer i can see it under the device manager as unallocated technically I know the data is not deleted nor lost The question is How can I retrieve this data The devices and models are Maxtor H GBs rpm ATA- Western Digital Caviar WD JB - gva GBs rpm ATA- PS I cannot access my hard drive data..HELP! I also tried the evaluation copy of BinaryBiz Virtuallab data recovery software and was able to see the data However the I cannot access my hard drive data..HELP! save feature was turned off I don t think I have to resort to a data recovery program do I There must be a simple way to perform this PS Could the problem be that my PC will only read SATA hard disks of PS If I buy an external enclosure connected through a USB cable will Vista recognize the data then so many questions - Thanks for any help Acer Aspire E AMD Athlon X dual core processor Windows Vista Home Premium D-Link DI- router Nvidia GeForce GS video card RAM MB nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-cannot-access-my-hard-drive-data-help.632253/
Relevancy 50.74%

Here s my setup Microsoft Windows Server Enterprise Edition Service Pack Build Intel R Pentium R CPU GHz Prescott x MHz Gig DDR Ram MHz ratio ASRock P VM Northbridge VIA P Hard slow Drive access during M Southbridge VIA VT R Maxtor Y L IDE Active UDMA Mode- Sony DW-G A Here s my situation The computer lags when I used harddrive intensive applications such as building Hard Drive slow during access a DVDimage for burning burning a DVD from the image etc I ran HD Tune and it looks like HD usage is using up the CPU a lot I read up on there forums and found that some people have tried switching the IDE cable for a new one I also heard that some harddrive are slow because it uses the CPU when it s set in PIO mode instead of at least UDMA- I ve tried both of these suggestions and I m still getting the same results Interestingly enough I underclocked the bus speed to Mhz and the memory accordingly to get ratio and CPU usage has dropped significantly Although CPU usage has dropped spikes of low transfer still occur Can someone please help me Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 50.74%

Hello folks I am new to the forum and joined after spending many hours searching for answers to my problem trying suggestions I found and reading more All hard drive access on my PC recently got very slow particularly the first time you start Windows Explorer or try to access a hard drive through ANY application It pretty much goes to sleep for up to or minutes Any applications running stay functional except for the application from which you are trying to get to a drive I was able to drive VERY slow access Hard find out that I believe I have the RBOT-RP Worm but was unable to find the Hard drive access VERY slow Analiz exe file to delete it I have done the following mostly from reading this forum Ran checks from a housecall trendmicro com b www pandasoftware com activescan Installed and ran Spybot S amp D in Safe Mode AND normal mode - it now shows my system is clean when run in Normal Mode Installed and ran SDFix in Safe Mode - scan started and in about seconds the system went to a BSOD I tried it different times and got the same result I put my own systems together so I am not clueless However I am not Windows systems expert After over hours trying to fix my problem I don t know what else to try so I downloaded and installed and ran Hijackthis Below is my log Please Advise Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINNT System smss exe C WINNT system winlogon exe C WINNT system services exe C WINNT system lsass exe C WINNT system Ati evxx exe C WINNT system svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINNT system spoolsv exe C PROGRA COMMON AOL ACS AOLacsd exe D APPS Networking Cisco Systems VPN Client cvpnd exe C WINNT System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exe D APPS Utilities NAV navapsvc exe C WINNT system regsvc exe C WINNT system MSTask exe D APPS CD DVD Authoring ScsiAccess exe C WINNT system stisvc exe C WINNT wanmpsvc exe C WINNT System WBEM WinMgmt exe C WINNT system svchost exe C WINNT system Ati evxx exe C WINNT Explorer EXE C Program Files Hp HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files HP hpcoretech hpcmpmgr exe C WINNT SM BG EXE C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe D APPS Utilities HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exe G Software Utilities Time Time Synchronizer v timesync exe D APPS Utilities HP Digital Imaging bin hpqgalry exe C WINNT System HPZipm exe D APPS Browsers Mozilla Firefox firefox exe D APPS Utilities Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www bourgeoisgroup com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by America Online N - Netscape user pref quot browser startup homepage quot quot http home netscape com bookmark home html quot C Documents and Settings JBOURGEOIS Application Data Mozilla Profiles default a h a slt prefs js N - Netscape user pref quot browser search defaultengine quot quot engine d A CAPPS CBrowsers CNetscape CNetscape Csearchplugins CSBWeb src quot C Documents and Settings JBOURGEOIS Application Data Mozilla Profiles default a h a slt prefs js O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO IexploreOmea - AAA- AD- FA - E - B - no file O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - D APPS Utilities NAV NavShExt dll O - Toolbar AOL Toolbar - D A-C B- -B B-B B E D C - C Program Files AOL Toolbar toolbar dll file missing O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINNT System msdxm ocx O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - D APPS Utilities NAV NavShExt dll O - HKLM Run Synchroni... Read more

Relevancy 50.74%

We have a Compaq desktop PC model 7360. When we turn it on all we now get is a dos window with a message that says "Unable to access hard drive." Operating system not found on any device. We are running windows 98 and have never had any problems before. Can anyone suggest what I might try. Thank you. Cheryl

A:unable to access hard drive

Have you or anyone else been "checking things out" in the computer (both software or hardware)? Sometimes we get curious about how things work and try to do our own "tweaking" and it turns out bad.

It is possible that the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) got changed and the computer think there is no hard drive connected to it.

Does your "Hard Drive" light go on when you first turn your system on? (normally a yellow light that "blinks/flickers" while your system is starting up and while accessing the hard drive at other times)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-access-hard-drive.103423/
Relevancy 50.74%

Recently my 1TB hard drive failed. I use Clickfree as a backup software. I decided to buy a 2TB drive to replace the failed drive. I installed the new drive and used Clickfree to re-image the old drive on the new drive. I assumed that after that I would see the extre TB, but apparently the re-image does just that and I can only see the original 1TB. Is there a way to get the extra TB?

A:[SOLVED] How to access all of hard drive

Hi -

Is the additional 1 TB of space listed in Disk Management as "unallocated"? If so, you can format it and assign it a drive letter via Disk Management.

If unsure of what I am asking, please open Disk Management and take a screenshot pic and post.

Click on START | type diskmgmt.msc | maximize the screen | use Snipping Tool for screenshot

START | type snip | select Snipping Tool

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-how-to-access-all-of-hard-drive-915298.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I built the computer myself, I have 2 320GB HD's... one works fine and was detected, the other is detected but I've looked around and can't figure out how to set it as a secondary drive.

any ideas? or ways to fix it? I've looked into it when I built the computer about 6 months ago, but I didn't need the space at the time so it wasn't that big of a deal for me.

sorry, I'm as tech-savvy as I'd like!

thanks!

A:Hard Drive detected, but not able to access

What operating system? Is the drive jumpered correctly? Is it formatted and partitioned?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-detected-but-not-able-to-access.617536/
Relevancy 50.74%

My compaq desktop was working fine, until I attempted to install Samsung Sync Master 170N As soon as I downloaded the drivers for monitor, my screen went black.. Hooked up original monitor...same problem...I cannot access my hard drive...tried boot up disks...restore etc.....nothing....monitor does not even "flicker". When I turn on the computer it sounds like it is trying to "boot" runs for a minute or two and then shuts itself off... Any way of getting files off hard drive if this problem cannot be corrected??? Thanks...

Relevancy 50.74%

Hi All,

after plugging in the external hard drive after a while I get you need to format the disk in F:\ do you want to format?

After a while throws another warning saying F: is not accessible, Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

It was working well until last week but then suddenly started giving this error message.

Anyone has an idea how can I go about this?

Thank you for your time.

A:cannot access external hard drive

Discs do go bad and that may be the case here. I suggest you download the diagnostic utility from the HD manufacturer and run it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/427627/cannot-access-external-hard-drive/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi Can anyone please help I have a Seagate External Hard Drive holding my business and Hard External Drive? Can't Access home files annd documents Today when I plugged it in to the PC access the files it simply would could not the little green light just flashed instead of beaming constant and the drive just showed as disk F not the usual Seagate Expansion so obviously it can't access the drive I have used another PC and usb lead just the troubleshoot them avenues but it's still the same I can tell you there is no funny noises whatsoever coming from the drive when plugged in I'm not bothered about losing the use of the drive as a matter of fact if I can access the files and folders I will discard the drive I just want to get hold of all the content some of it is very important Is there a way to bypass the problem and access the files so that I can remove all the content is there some product I can buy to do this if nessasary Also there is a small dent on the inner metal casing just above the small socket that accepts the usb lead could Can't Access External Hard Drive? this be the cause It has blimped a few times in the past but with the second plug in accessed the drive until now so again can anyone shed any light on this issue Thanks guys John

http://www.pchelpforum.com/pc-hardware/128989-cant-access-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 50.74%

When I completely re-did my hard drive, I split it into two partitions; a 50gb C:\ and a 30gb paritition. I don't know how to format or access my 30gb partition or turn it into an actual (letter):\

How can I do this? Do I need a special program?

Thanks,
Phil

Relevancy 50.74%

i reinstalled windows xp pro with my slave drive in [by mistake] after install i cant access my slave hard drive so i installed it again without it in now it shows up in device manager but i cant see it in my computer what do i need to do [ohh its a wd hard drive] thanks in advance

Relevancy 50.74%

Here is my problem:
I just upgrade my PC from win2k to XP. I have 3 hard drives installed. The install went fine but one of the hard drives will not allow me to access it now. I tried to change permissions which is what I always have done in 2k but when I am in properties it does not give me the option now in XP. The other drives have the option available. I am pretty good with 2k but not at all with XP. It is a western digital HD if that matters. I assume it is just not allowing me to access because of the permissions....... Can anyone steer me in the right path? Thanks!

A:Help with hard drive access problem.

I am not completely familiar with win2k, but i have a few options. First, when you did the installation of XP, did you format all the drives? I'm assuming not doing that is the only way some permissions could have been carried over from your old OS. What sort of error does it give you when you try to access the hard drive?

-alias

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-with-hard-drive-access-problem-350076.html