Windows Support Forum

Disk Management shows failed disk?

Q: Disk Management shows failed disk?

I just cloned my OS HD to a new Crucial M4 128Gb & it is working just fine.

I later noticed a failed disk - that is about the same size as the new M4. Screenshot is attached.

Do I dare delete this failed phantom disk? Please - no guesses!

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Disk Management shows failed disk?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Disk Management shows failed disk?

OK - I went ahead & deleted it. No ill effects.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/216684-disk-management-shows-failed-disk.html
Relevancy 104.92%

Hello my name is AmalM and I'm new here I have two internal HDDs One is a Samsung and the other is a Western Digital Caviar The WDC has the problem There were three partitions in it One day when I turned on my PC I couldn't see any of those partitions in quot My Computer quot It's detected in both BIOS and Disk Management When I checked Disk Management it showed quot Error quot So I download Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics and checked my HDD Quick test failed And the Extended search said that there are some bad sectors and asked me to fix it I pressed Ok And when I went to Disk Management again it shows in failed" "Import Disk HDD Management says quot Import failed quot And then I used TestDisk Here it shows my lost three partitions I pressed p and I could see all my HDD shows "Import failed" in Disk Management files So I thought there's some hope and I came here Here I selected quot write quot option and pressed y And this message showed Please help me fix that drive of my files are in it Please help me I think it happened because one of the wires to the HDD was loose I fixed it now I changed the wires If you need any more details from me please reply Please help me

A:HDD shows "Import failed" in Disk Management

Oh my god!
When I right clicked the Disk and clicked "Offline" in Disk Management, it showed some error but the partitions are now back:

But one partition is still missing. And you can see it as "Unallocated space" in Disk Management. How do I recover it?
Anyway, I got these 2 partitions. Now, I'm confident that I'll get the other one too. Thank god.

EDIT: The partitions which came back are now shown as Read-only. How do I change it to Read/Write?
I still need help. Please help me.

EDIT: The last partition also came back after I rebooted my PC. Now the only problem is that these partitions are Read-Only. How do I change it to Read/Write? Please help me.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/395286-hdd-shows-import-failed-disk-management.html
Relevancy 95.89%

i've purchased a new ssd for extra storage, but it does not show up after plugging it in, currently running os on a different ssd.

A:new ssd shows in bios but not disk management

In order to help you, you need to post a LOT more info; exact system specs, exact drive you are having problems accessing, if your board has more than one sata controller, what controller you are using for the drive, etc, etc.
Post a screenshot of disk management.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-ssd-shows-in-bios-but-not-disk-management.1171323/
Relevancy 94.6%

Hi,

My computer's internal hard drive (Seagate 500GB) failed and PC could not boot up. When a friend helped to take out the drive and connected it to another PC, the disk shows up only in the disk management, but sizes is only 3.8GB instead of 500. I found some earlier thread in this forum and downloaded the Partition Wizard, and the screenshot from the PWfree9.1 looks like below.

Desperately trying to get back family pictures and

Thanks so much for your help!

Lenni

A:500GB HDD only shows 3.86GB in Disk Management

I've not seen any responses, I suppose either the drive is really dead or no one has seen this kind of error before?

Anyway, thanks for this forum

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/399035-500gb-hdd-only-shows-3-86gb-disk-management.html
Relevancy 93.74%

This is an HP laptop delivered by Amazon India on Jul HP -d TU - rd Generation Intel Core i - M Processor GHz - GB Hard Drive Toshiba MQ ABF - MB DDR SDRAM -DVD Optical drive hp DVDRAM GU N -Windows bit On delivery it had Windows updates installed dated Nov and the last one dated Mar perhaps just before it left the factory My first priority was to update Windows A total of updates including the last major Windows update akin to a Service Pack - KB and all this took a lot of time All updates went drives OEM Win8.1 two Recovery shows Disk Management on well with no Win8.1 Disk Management shows two OEM Recovery drives problems Now I find that Windows Disk Management lists two OEM recovery partitions D What it was earlier I did not notice but I presume it was showing one correctly since any abnormality would have caught my attention Diskpart lists all the partitions correctly And so also bootice Now what is causing this and how do I fix it I find there is a Intel Manageability Firmware Recovery Agent - https software intel com en-us blo recovery-agent My own guess is some Intel driver firmware may be causing it As I said it is only a guess I tried the update with it but so far Intel servers could not be reached though my internet connection is OK Perhaps someone here may be able to Win8.1 Disk Management shows two OEM Recovery drives throw more light on the problem and fix I have just another hours before the intended recipient - my house-maid's son - drops in here to pick it and take it along to his distant college My next access to Win8.1 Disk Management shows two OEM Recovery drives that lappy may be after days He regularly visits his parents residing in my quarters every month to snatch money for his college fees but still I am the owner of the lappy till it is paid up I had created an MS ID and set it up in his name

A:Win8.1 Disk Management shows two OEM Recovery drives

Since the partition does not show up in Disk Management graphical representation, or Diskpart, I would say it was a glitch in Disk Management. If you notice, it does not show a file type on the first listing in the upper window of Disk Management.

What makes me wonder is most systems show the last partition as hidden and a Recovery partition. Since there is no way for me to know how it was originally designated, I cannot say for sure the system is completely normal.

Since you know how to use Diskpart, how about selecting the partition and doing a det par command and then copy and paste the results in your next post. Maybe someone else has an HP system who would know how the partition is supposed to be set up.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/50288-win8-1-disk-management-shows-two-oem-recovery-drives.html
Relevancy 93.74%

Hello Everyone Over the last couple days I built a new PC and installed windows Initially I had some issues installing windows so I unplugged all my drives except the SSD and DVD I installed windows to my SSD Everything works great Now I started adding my drives back in at a time When I plugged my nd SSD in it showed up in BIOS but not in Disk Management or Device Manager Disk in but shows 2nd Management BIOS hard not drive So I booted back into the install CD it showed up in the disk manager there Since this was also a blank SSD I partitioned and formated the drive from the install CD then exited the installer and booted back to my windows drive I have SSD drives working great Now to add my TB HDD Same issue it shows up in BIOS and the install disc but not in Disk Management or Device Manager This drive does not have a boot partition on it however it does have two existing data partitions They were made from 2nd hard drive shows in BIOS but not Disk Management my previous windows system and the option to delete these partitions is grayed out in the install disc menu I also have some data that I would like to keep on it I have a USB dock that I can use 2nd hard drive shows in BIOS but not Disk Management to read the contents of the disk just fine Everything is there and in working order Can anyone help me out here 2nd hard drive shows in BIOS but not Disk Management What is different about Windows that is preventing my hard drives from showing up in windows proper I am reading things about UEFI online but nothing seems to fit my exact scenario I will try and post some screen shots when I get back at it System Mobo- Asrock Fatal ty Killer z CPU- i GPU- Gigabyte OC SSDs - Kingston V GB Windows bit Thanks Everyone

A:2nd hard drive shows in BIOS but not Disk Management

Check if your sata drivers are the latest here : ASRock > Fatal1ty Z87 Killer

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/36659-2nd-hard-drive-shows-bios-but-not-disk-management.html
Relevancy 93.74%

What would cause a such a large chunk of the hard drive to not appear in disk management - the capacity is approximately a third of the total drive (see attached)!?

I have used TreeSize and other tools to see if there is anything out of the ordinary, such as over-sized temp folders, pagefile, etc. But nothing but a couple over 19 GB (typical usage) shows (see attached).

Any help/suggestions are appreciated!

A:160 GB hard drive shows capacity of 55 GB in Disk Management

Please see this thread in the forum: 1tb HDD only shows 523gb

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/199780-160-gb-hard-drive-shows-capacity-55-gb-disk-management.html
Relevancy 92.88%

After installing Windows 10 (upgrade from 8.1) and after a second reboot, the 100MB "SYSTEM" partition shows up in Explorer as the f: drive. It cannot be hidden in Explorer - "Hide Selected Items" - prompts for administrator permission then Error 'the parameter is incorrect'.

In Disk Management the SYSTEM Partition does not have a drive letter assigned, and ALL options are greyed out.

None of the solutions I have found work, seemingly because the partition does not appear as a drive letter to the OS, only to Explorer. How can I hide it?

A:Hide system partition that shows in explorer but NOT disk management

Can you show a screenshot of File Explorer?
it is usually impossible for a drive to have a letter in File Explorer but not in Disk Management.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/57417-hide-system-partition-shows-explorer-but-not-disk-management.html
Relevancy 92.88%

When starting a backup (Acronis), I noticed that my C: drive was now "Disk 1" and my D: drive now "Disk 0".

I verified this using Computer Management > Disk Management

I had this happen with Disk2=E and Disk3=F becoming Disk2=F and Disk3=E. I've removed them from the system as a result. It's also why I'm doing a full C: image backup.

Is there a reason the disk to drive letter is changing?

I'm using Windows 7 Pro, 64bit

Thanks

A:Disk Management (Snap in) shows swaped Disk0=D and Disk1=C

On a SATA controller there is no order to attached drives. All SATA drives are treated the same and managed (initially) by the BIOS/UEFI without any preference to one over another. Old folks like me who remember IDE drives and the importance of Master/Slave positioning get hung up on the drive order, but we will learn!
So the short answer is fugetaboutit.

Long answer: The BIOS/UEFI is only concerned with finding the bootable drives and locating the boot manager files. Once a boot manager is found it hands off control. The OS then controls the partition management and disk order. Each physical hard drive has a unique identifying number that the system and OS can keep track of. Windows will assign Disk 0 to the first drive it encounters and record it that way by identifier. You would think the first drive it would recognize would be the one plugged into SATA port 1 but that is not always the case, sometimes it is just the drive that is ready and accessed first.

So if you really need to arrange the drives "in order" then the thing to do is to shut down > disconnect all hard drives except the one with the OS > Optional: make sure the drive is connected to SATA port 1 > start the computer and let Windows load fully > check DM to see that the one hard drive is Disk 0 > Shut down again > connect the hard drive you want to be Disk 1 > Start up, and so on.

The "correct" order should stick after that.
Hope that helps!

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/281835-disk-management-snap-shows-swaped-disk0-d-disk1-c.html
Relevancy 91.59%

Hi

Until recently I had no problems with reading my Mp3 plyaer as a drive throug USB. Suddenly it doesnt work anymore. I can still read my camera and connect my cell phone throug this USB port so i dont suspect the port to be broken. I can also see the disk under disk management and add a drive letter but i cant see it in explorer. I can even browse it in command prompt.

I tried uninstallig the USB drivers and after restart windows finds them and tell me they are ready to use but they are not.

I also read something about group policy which i read could hide disks but it is disabled.

The same thing goes for my card reader.

anyone experienced this ?

A:Cant browse USB drive in explorer, it shows in disk management and in command prompt

How does it show up in Disk Management? Does it indicate normal operation and a valid format?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-browse-usb-drive-in-explorer-it-shows-in-disk-management-and-in-command-prompt.473931/
Relevancy 91.59%

I have an external 15gb drive I'm trying to get some old files off of and I only have my laptop so I'm using an external enclosure. I can use it with other drives perfectly but I can't access the volumes from within my OS (Windows) on this drive.

A:External drive shows up in disk management but doesn't moutn a volume

Are you getting any error messages??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-drive-shows-up-in-disk-management-but-doesnt-moutn-a-volume.762230/
Relevancy 91.16%

Hi Guys Firstly I have tried to search the forums to find a solution to my problem but I keep getting php internal service error messages so I have started this thread My problem is that when I access the MS snap in via My Computer gt right click gt manage I cannot access the disk management console Here is a screen shot of console failed [SOLVED] management disk what I am [SOLVED] disk management console failed seeing I have made sure that both the logical disk services are started in the services and applications snap in but this is not helping with my problem I can however access disk defrag via C gt [SOLVED] disk management console failed properties gt tools but not via the MMC snap in I also noticed that the message is asking me to open my firewall which to me looks suspicious as surely this service is within my computer terminal and does not need to access an internet based application to function Is this correct As per all advice is gratefully received Regards Colzie

A:[SOLVED] disk management console failed

Bumperoo..Just to let you know I have sussed out this problem..I have disk keeper pro installed on this PC and it has over ridden the basic MMC snap in..

Regards Colzie

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-disk-management-console-failed-286119.html
Relevancy 90.73%

hello
couple of weeks ago my NAS drive stop working, i try to SSH it but did not work, so i use the Diagnostics tool from WD to check whether its ok or not but the HDD pass all the test. then finally i decided to take the HDD out of the enclosure and attached
it to Desktop running win 7 Pro. the BIOS detect the drive as 0.0GB, when i check it in Disk management it showed as unknown and not initialized. i tried to initialized it but keep getting I/O error. then i used DISKPART tried to use clean all command and
getting same I/O error. 
is there a way to recover data and make use of HDD or is it fried HDD now.

please help thanks.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bfcdd499-b7b7-4295-b1e6-a28a5dc2317a/internal-drive-shows-as-00gb-in-bios-and-also-unable-to-initialize-in-disk-management-because?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 84.28%

Boot drive OS drive Western Digital GB WDC WD JS- NBC clean install of as drive in data DISKPART? Management, disk Dynamic My an Disk in listed Invalid not Windows from DVD nothing else on the drive Data drive Western Digital GB WDC WD AAKS- A B NTFS-formatted lots of data from a Windows XP machine BIOS shows that both My data drive not in Disk Management, listed as an Invalid Dynamic disk in DISKPART? are there and connected Device My data drive not in Disk Management, listed as an Invalid Dynamic disk in DISKPART? Manager shows that both are there and working properly Western Digital LifeGuard diagnostics show that both are there and working properly 'Computer' section shows only the boot drive Disk Management shows only the boot drive DISKPART shows both disks Disk Status Size Free Dyn Gpt Disk Invalid GB B Disk Online GB B When installing Windows it saw both drives and gave me a choice of which drive to install on I've swapped drives swapped cables no change I tried having only the data drive connected and running Windows My data drive not in Disk Management, listed as an Invalid Dynamic disk in DISKPART? setup again - it did not see the data drive Tried it on another Windows machine with completely different hardware Same problem How do I make my data drive usable I am completely baffled Thanks Drew DISKPART Detailed Information DISKPART gt select disk Disk is now the selected disk DISKPART gt detail disk WDC WD AAKS- A B ATA Device Disk ID C D Type ATA Status Invalid Path Target LUN ID Location Path PCIROOT PCI ATA C T L Current Read-only State No Read-only No Boot Disk No Pagefile Disk No Hibernation File Disk No Crashdump Disk No Clustered Disk No There are no volumes DISKPART gt

A:My data drive not in Disk Management, listed as an Invalid Dynamic disk in DISKPART?

If you are OK with data loss on disk 0 you can do the following,

diskpart> sel dis 0
diskpart> clean
diskpart> conv dyn

This would reactivate your disk.
Invalid occurs due to many reasons like on spanned volume,
suppose few sectors have gone bad. So you are going to lose that data and as such disk becomes invalid.

Regards
Satish

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/192b50bb-e096-4ca5-bdd1-db4923105c06/my-data-drive-not-in-disk-management-listed-as-an-invalid-dynamic-disk-in-diskpart?forum=w7itprohardware
Relevancy 84.28%

I've had my Acer Aspire 5310 laptop for a few months now with Windows Vista. I have an 80GB hard drive, partitioned into two drives as default.

Until now I've never noticed that the numbers didn't add up. I know when you buy and 80GB hard drive, it should actually show up as less due to bits and bytes and what not (80GB=74GB roughly) but I found something fishy in Disk Management. There is a drive showing up with no letter assigned to it which is nearly 10GB in size and after doing the math it accounts for the 10GB i lack after adding my two 32GB hard drives together.

So I have 2 x 32GB drives plus this weird drive which is 10.

I have attached the screenshot of disk management.

If anyone knows what is going on here I would very much appreciate it!

Cheers, Darren (newbie)

A:Problem with Vista Disk Management/Being robbed of hard disk space!

has this just recently appeared? This is a longshot, but if you have Kaspersky lap installed then that could be the problem. It autologs roughly 10 gigs of data without your permission, it is easy to get rid of, but annoying none the less.
However this doesn't seem to likely as what seems to have happened here is that you have accidently split one of your hard drives into two. Either that or a program like deamon tools has created a virtual drive. Do you use either deamon tools or alcohol 120?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problem-with-vista-disk-management-being-robbed-of-hard-disk-space-236115.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hello Yesterday I had to perform a new installation of Windows XP because I somehow corrupted some system files beyond repair Now I have everything up and running anew and have made all the Windows updates and it s as "system" Console Partition Management in Disk shows all honky dory Partition shows as "system" in Disk Management Console However I just went to the Disk Managent Console with the intention of re-assigning drive letter for my storage partitions not the one that contains Windows and ran into a problem I have a partition set up on my main hard disk to use exclusively for Window s pagefile I have not yet set up Windows to put the pagefile there This is the next partition after the primary partition that contains the OS I wanted to set the drive letter of this partition to Z to get it out of the way in Windows Explorer However the partitions shows as Healthy System whereas the main Windows partition shows as Healtyh Boot This is really weird because in the past only the Windows partition would show up as System I m afraid I might have somehow screwed up during the Windows installation Does anybody know why this is ocurring and any possible solutions that do not include re-installing Windows If it s any help when I set Windows Explorer to show all files here are the files that are on that partition RECYCLER folder System Volume Information folder boot ini NTDETECT COM ntldr Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 84.28%

I am facing problem of unable to shrink c drive in my windows 7 home premium.I have read everyone writing in about not to change the hard disk to dynamic type,but after partitioning one time using disk management now all my partitions are dynamic type & I still have 288gb left in c drive.
I need help.

A:hard disk changed to dynamic type after using disk management

Read this tutorial on how to covert back from Dynamic. Convert a Dynamic Disk to a Basic Disk

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/241814-hard-disk-changed-dynamic-type-after-using-disk-management.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi Question before I proceed please Have hard drives SSDs Drive OS Win for general web office and junk running Drive OS Win for tweaked hobby work Audio recording etc Whilst I wish to not physically disconnect the drives on each boot I Disk Online/Offline Disk Management - function/Dual OS would like to have the alternative drive hidden and not impacted when the other drive is running for the OS Boot up from Drive this Disk Management - Online/Offline function/Dual Disk OS currently shows as Drive C and the secondary drive with the OS installed as D Boot up from Drive this currently shows as Drive C and the secondary drive with the OS installed as D End aim Boot up from Drive this currently shows as Drive C and the secondary drive with the OS installed not running or showing on the system and vice versa Is the online offline function what I need to use or is this going to put the drive offline for the system as a whole Thanks for your help

A:Disk Management - Online/Offline function/Dual Disk OS

You can go to Disk management and remove the drive letter for "D".

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/47066-disk-management-online-offline-function-dual-disk-os.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I have a problem regarding my external Toshiba hard disk 500 GB where it can?t be detected in my computer and also disk management. I have formatted the external HD since I was asked to format it when an error popped up.
So I formatted it and after the formatting completed, I tried to connect the hard disk to my Windows Win 7 laptop. When I connect it to the laptop, it can?t be detected and yet the hard disk is blinking with its white light like it used to when it is connected to the laptop. I tried the disk management thingy, but it can?t detect my hard disk. I tried in other laptops but the result is same
What can I do to make it better? Please help me.

A:External hard disk not detected in My Computer and in Disk Management

First off, how old is your Toshiba external HDD? Also, when it starts to spin up, do you hear any sort of clicking or whining noise?

If you hear any noises that sound off, it's possible your external HDD is failing.

When you formatted it, what file system did you use to do so? Because sometimes even if Windows can't detect it, I have had success with booting with a Ubuntu Live CD, and then connecting the external HDD in order to format it that way. It all has to do with how Windows formats HDD's and how Ubuntu and other Linux systems do.

If you can I recommend downloading Ubuntu onto a CD and boot to it on one of your computers, in the Live CD mode, so it doesn't install anything. Once its loaded, plug in the Toshiba and try to format it as NTFS (this is important, because Ubuntu doesn't use it as a native file system, so you need to make sure that NTFS is selected on the format window, not EXT4 or the other types of Linux OS File Systems)

If it doesn't work, post back here, and I will see if I can help you some more. Also feel free to PM me if you have any other issues.

Regards,
-Alex

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-disk-not-detected-in-my-computer-and-in-disk-management.185432/
Relevancy 84.28%

I've a full system backup and 139 GBs of free disk space, but Disk Management won't allow me to create a new partition to restore the image because I don't have any unallocated disk space. Is my backup image useless?

A:No unallocated disk space in Disk Management and can't create new partition.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-unallocated-disk-space-in-disk-management-and-cant-create-new-partition.825383/
Relevancy 83.42%

I have a internal quot HDD WD Black TB and try to hook it up in the PC but it doesnt not appear anymore in My Computer It was working few weeks ago When opening Disk Management it says the disk is not initialized and it didnt state how many GB available on the hard disk unallocated Disk Management tried to initialized the hard disk and it pops out the following errors Virtual Disk Manager Not Ready. disk in Device Management. Disk initialized not Incorrect Function and Virtual Disk Manager The device is not ready I have also tried using a powered USB cable and also connected in directly to the MoBo via SATA but the problem still persist I also ran disk part and it shows disk not initialized in Disk Management. Device Not Ready. Disk and Disk as both online but both having size disk not initialized in Disk Management. Device Not Ready. of B Below is the screen shot of Disk Management When i right click on the HDD there are four functions Initialize Disk Offline Properties and Help however the the Initialize Disk function is greyed out I have Partition Wizard and the attached picture below is the screenshot of the main GUI It shows bad disk on the particular hard disk Click image for larger version I tried running Partition Recovery Wizard on the mentioned HDD and it shows a partition of only Bytes but none of my files are visible no preview I just need to retrieve the files in the Hard disk as it contains important files and pictures that havent been backed up Any help and suggestions are welcomed Thanks

A:disk not initialized in Disk Management. Device Not Ready.

I submitted this post in tenforums and sevenforums on an old thread. Its better to start a new one. THis is the reply from jumanji from the sevenforums thread. I will continue posting replies on this thread instead
disk 1 is unknown, not initialized, unallocated

Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji

I am still trying to understand your system.

Please furnish the following Information.

1. You have a Windows 10 System. Is it a custom-built one? Built by you?

2.In the Windows Disk Management I see three drives.Disk 0, Disk 1 and Disk 2. All three Internal?

3. You are now trying to plug-in /connect two drives. But both of these cannot be accessed. Right?

Now the crucial question. 4. Where were these drives before? Please give the history of both drives. Both drives data drives? What happened to the system from which they came?

I may not be able to deal with the drives connected to Windows 10 - for I don't know how it will treat alien drives. As I see it both drives are bad ( In Windows 10).

I do understand that you have a SATA to USB adapter. Can you just take one drive - mark it as No 1 --, connect it to a Windows 7 system and post the screenshots of Windows Disk Management and PW screenshot? Always post full screenshots with all information seen and not truncated/cut screenshots.

Mark the other drive as Drive 2, unplug drive No.1 , plug in drive No2 and again repeat the screenshots. We shall not mix drive 1 and drive 2 together. It will lead to confusion. We shall deal with only one at a time.

I would rather prefer to work within a known environment.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/395668-disk-not-initialized-disk-management-device-not-ready.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I have a internal quot HDD WD Black TB and try to hook it up in the PC but it disk not in initialized Disk Ready. Not Management. Device doesnt not appear anymore in My Computer It was working few weeks ago When opening Disk Management it says the disk is not initialized and it didnt state how many GB available on the hard disk unallocated Disk Management tried to initialized the hard disk and it pops out the following errors Virtual Disk Manager Incorrect Function and Virtual Disk Manager The device is not ready I disk not initialized in Disk Management. Device Not Ready. have also tried using a powered USB cable and disk not initialized in Disk Management. Device Not Ready. also connected in directly to the MoBo via SATA but the problem still persist I also ran disk part and it shows Disk and Disk as both online but both having size of B Below is the screen shot of Disk Management When i right click on the HDD there are four functions Initialize Disk Offline Properties and Help however the the Initialize Disk function is greyed out I have Partition Wizard and the attached picture below is the screenshot of the main GUI It shows bad disk on the particular hard disk I tried running Partition Recovery Wizard on the mentioned HDD and it shows a partition of only Bytes but none of my files are visible no preview I just need to retrieve the files in the Hard disk as it contains important files and pictures that havent been backed up Any help and suggestions are welcomed Thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/49275-disk-not-initialized-disk-management-device-not-ready.html
Relevancy 83.42%

A couple of years ago I uploaded Ubuntu and experimented with using it as an operating system for my VAIO laptop In order to do this I partitioned my hardrive and for a while ran a dual boot system I didn't take to partition disk disk in management to Attempting delete Ubuntu and decided to stick with Vista so I deleted it and attempted to delete the temporary partition Attempting to delete disk partition in disk management on my hardrive with no luck I have sat on this problem for years occasionally trying to solve it to no avail Now my main C drive is nearly full only GB of free space and I need to access this unused partition space and the GB of potential it contains But still I cannot delete this partition it Attempting to delete disk partition in disk management should be sooo easy but Attempting to delete disk partition in disk management my system is not operating as text book I am in Disk Management in Computer Management folder It is a basic type partition simple layout that says Healthy EISA Configuration But when I right click the mouse over the partition I want to delete the only icon that pops up says 'Help' it doesn't give me the option to 'delete shrink or expand volume' Now I have tried lots of suggestions from the help section but can't seem to solve why my computer will not allow me to access the necessary options icon to delete this partition Can anyone out there help or has anyone experienced similar challenges

A:Attempting to delete disk partition in disk management

I suggest that you follow this tutorial carefully. partitioning - How do I remove my Ubuntu partition from Windows 7 and reuse the space? - Ask Ubuntu

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/303496-attempting-delete-disk-partition-disk-management.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hi I was going to try dual booting Windows on my laptop following a guide I found and it said to go onto disk manager and shrink a volume to create another volume The guide after the shrink only had two disks and I had disks A recovery disk HP tools will to Disk converted dynamic, management only it boot? disk and a blank one along with my C disk and the Disk management converted only disk to dynamic, will it boot? newly made one named Windows which I have now gotten rid of after creating the other volume it said about converting to a dynamic disk I thought this was normal and clicked okay After this Disk management converted only disk to dynamic, will it boot? I researched into dynamic and basic disks Disk management converted only disk to dynamic, will it boot? and found that only basic disks can contain a volume which is quot active quot where the BIOS boots Windows from but because I converted the basic disk to a dynamic the volume labelled active now doesn't display that it is active The guide's disk still said basic So now I am worried that my laptop won't boot so I keep putting it into sleep mode open and closing it because this doesn't require BIOS Please tell me whether it is safe to turn off my computer and turn it back on I can't afford it not to work Here is a picture of my current and only disk on my laptop One more thing I'm sure that the one which said active before was the one with no name on the left Thanks for reading - Twiglets

A:Disk management converted only disk to dynamic, will it boot?

From what I've read, the only major difference with dynamic disc's is that it's more flexible, in that it allows you more options in manipulating the disc itself. See link. You are fine with either setup.

Basic Storage Versus Dynamic Storage in Windows XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/222743-disk-management-converted-only-disk-dynamic-will-boot.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Unable to start Disk Management. I tried the following without success:

- Check file integrity
- Repair with DISM
- Start the Virtual Disk Service and Volume SHadoy Copy manually and set them to Automatic and Manual (it starts, but Disk Management cannot connect to it)
- Disable Firewall and Antivirus
- Verified that my system is malware free
- Tried opening it in Safe Mode

I'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks

A:Disk Management could not start Virtual Disk Service (VDS)

You might try going to the Services panel (services.msc) and looking at the properties for the Virtual Disk service. Open the Dependencies tab and check that those three services are also running or can be started.

Have you done anything with the utility lately like mount a .vhd or .xvhd file? Is there anything which might be corrupted and causes problems for the Utility with it tries to scan the drives?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/50342-disk-management-could-not-start-virtual-disk-service-vds.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hi to all seven forums.
I bought a new 1tb hard disk, and I connected it to my pc as slave, and when I creating the partition in windows seven disk management and right click to creates new partition, it had four option.
1. simple volume
2. spanned volume
3. stripped volume
4. mirrored volume.
plz tell me quickly which option will I click for creating partition..
I want this partitions..
C: 30gb
D:30gb
and the remaining space is equally divided to 3 partition..
plz hurry guys..
I m waiting and stick on this..

A:Need quick help about new hard disk partition on win 7 disk management

Can you post a screen shot of Disk management?
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...en-forums.html

Screenshot tools.
A Preferred Method of Uploading/Posting Screen Shots
How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums
Snipping Tool - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows
Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots
Screenshot with Paint
Screenshot and Upload using MWSnap
fscapture free download

Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/168044-need-quick-help-about-new-hard-disk-partition-win-7-disk-management.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I have an external hard disk which got corrupted. When i connect the disk through USB it shows as an unknown device in the disk management with no option to format.

In My computer the device is showing as H: drive but unable to access it. It asks if i want to format or not but when i go for format it does not do it. I want to erase the disk completely as of now. What should i do??

I tried to load it from linux but there it shows as Device Error. Disk Failure is Imminent.

Can something be done or is it a hardware failure.

A:External Hard disk showing as RAW in disk management

Sounds like the drive is failing or the circuitry in the enclosure is faulty.

I would first remove the drive from the enclosure and hook it up as a slave to a desktop PC. See if you can then access it. If you can, then post back for further instructions with the version of your OS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-disk-showing-as-raw-in-disk-management.1024550/
Relevancy 82.56%

I have a system with multiple physical drives.  The system disk shows activity in the graphs to the right side of the disk tab.  However, in the disk activity panel, where it shows which files are being read/written, it gives the wrong path,
to a non-existent location on the other physical disk.
For example, instead of the expected C:\Users\username\ntuser.dat  it lists the file location as D:\1\Users\username\ntuser.dat.
Every file listed in the panel looks like this.
The graph for disk D shows no activity.
Is this something I need to be concerned about.  The system seems to be performing normally.

A:Resource Monitor shows disk activity on wrong disk

Hi,
What is the exact number of your multiple physical drives?
When you open  files in D, E, F or some other drives, what are the results in resource monitor?
If you have any feedback on our support, please click
hereAlex Zhao
TechNet Community Support

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9e98829b-8391-491f-97ce-64559f27e9ca/resource-monitor-shows-disk-activity-on-wrong-disk?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 82.56%

Hello I have a HDD G with partitions NTFS with data used externally in a USB box connected to my windows asus laptop No idea what I do I always use 'eject' before disconnecting this HDD but now I see that with diskpart DISKPART gt list disk Disk Status Size Free Dyn Gpt External disk letter no disk : diskpart shows but drive -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk Online GB KB Disk Online GB B Disk Online GB GB DISKPART gt list volume Volume Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status External disk : diskpart shows disk but no drive letter Info ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- -------- Volume E DVD-ROM B No Media Volume C OS NTFS Partition GB Healthy Boot Volume D Data NTFS Partition GB Healthy Volume External disk : diskpart shows disk but no drive letter SYSTEM FAT Partition MB Healthy System Volume Recovery NTFS Partition MB Healthy Hidden Volume Restore NTFS Partition GB Healthy Hidden so disk is there but no volume no partition no drive letter just a 'bip' sound when I connect the disk to usb port i try with paragon disk manager or aomei partition assistant but can't assign a drive letter option greyed how can I do to get drive letters amp access my datas thanks for help

A:External disk : diskpart shows disk but no drive letter

What does Win8 Disk Management show for that drive? If it shows as "raw" in the list, and it won't let you assign a drive letter, it could be that the drive has failed.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/58220-external-disk-diskpart-shows-disk-but-no-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Couple of hours ago my Windows 7 could not recognize my external USB hard disk (Maxtor Basic). It came up on Disk Management and Device Manager but not on My Computer. However I fixed it (by deleting its line off regedit in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices, plugging out the ext. HD and plugging back in). Windows automatically installed the drivers and I could access the drive.

But now Windows shows my Maxtor as a fixed disk drive, instead of "devices with removable storage". I still have the option to "Safely remove hardware and eject media" from taskbar, however I rather have Windows treating it as a Removable USB Storage so that the disk can sleep when not in use. I am pretty sure it has something to do with regedit, so any help would be appreciated.

A:USB external hard disk shows up as internal fixed disk

Welcome to Windows 7 Support Forums, Sactyr.
A word of caution! Its never a good idea to alter your register,
IMHO please review your device manager and check your devices for your disk drives, check for any warnings in the driver area.
I'm attaching my screenshot for comparison as I have a similar configuration.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/93610-usb-external-hard-disk-shows-up-internal-fixed-disk.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi All

I am try to create a new volume from a free space disk which was earlier have ubuntu installed in it.

I delete the partition and then right click on it and select "New Simple Volume".
I select drive "G" and select format as NTFS.
When I click on finish, it give me error "Not enough disk space to perform this operation".

I am attaching the screen shot.

Can some one help me in this regard?

Thanks
Bargi

A:Not Able to Format free disk using Disk Management

Thanks Jim.

So what's the sol.?
How can I create a new non-primary partition?

I want to use this partition. please guide.

Thanks
Bargi

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/195349-not-able-format-free-disk-using-disk-management.html
Relevancy 81.7%

I'm trying to get my drives ready to move to a new computer i want to build. I have a 4.45 TB dynamic span spread over 5 drives. From what I've read what I should do first is go into Disk Management and right click one of the disks and click "Remove Disk." I've tried, but everything except "Offline" "Properties" and "Help" is greyed out. Can't remove the drive. What should I do?

A:Disk management, remove disk greyed out.

Moving or deleting the spanned volumes in Disk Management will loose all data.
If Disk Management does not work for you try using a 3rd party utility like Partition Wizard. How to Move/Resize Dynamic Volume | MiniTool Partition Wizard Tutorial

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/disk-management-remove-disk-greyed-out-969545.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Hello thanks for reading and any help you may be able to offer I have a Western Digital external hard drive Model WD C GB It's an older device that was working just fine on my Mac I don't know what OS it was running and do not have access to it any longer I have brought this HD with me and am now trying to use it on my Windows lap top When I plug it in the device is not assigned a letter I can search for to in initialize Disk Management disk Unable it in disk management but it is uninitialized I have right clicked on the drive to initialize and receive an error message quot the specific disk is not convertible because the size is less than the minimum size required for GPT disks quot I searched online and found a thread on sevenforums that suggested downloading and using Partition Wizard I downloaded the program and opened the wizard but it does not see my hard drive The screen shot will display as far as I've gotten I am completely at a loss I am NOT computer savvy and all of this is a little over my head I'm hoping someone will be able to help

A:Unable to initialize disk in Disk Management

I have tried basic troubleshooting (rebooting computer, unplugging device from wall outlet, unplugging device from USB, switching USB ports). At first I thought it was a problem with the driver, but the properties states that the driver is compatible and up to date. I do not want to lose any data that is on the drive if possible (lots of photos, music, etc.). Thanks again.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/51311-unable-initialize-disk-disk-management.html
Relevancy 81.7%

i have a C drive containing operating system having memory GB GB of this memory is free not in use i tried for partition of my disk i entersd as an administrater then i go to in during disk partition management problems disk the computer management where i click on the disk management there i found disk containing four partitions MB healthy EISA configuration RECOVERY D GB NTFS Healthy primary partition OS C GB NTFS Healthy system boot active primary partition GB Healthy primary problems during disk partition in disk management partition now i right click on the OS C and choose shrink volume it shows available size of shrink space in MB now i enter amount of space to shrink in MB now it shows a unallocated partition of GB space now i right click on this unallocated partition and click on the New Simple Volume now a new simple volume wizard is opened i click on the next then using the maximum simple volume MB again click on the next now by assigning the drive letter again click on the next now i choose FORMATE THIS VOLUME with settings as file system NTFS allocation unit size DEFAULT volume lable NEW and then i click on the next finally i click on finish for completing the new simple volume wizard THEN A ERROR MESSAGE WAS DISPLAYED you can not create a new volume in this allocated space because the disk already contain the maximum number of partitions what should i have to do to create further partitions can i delete existing partitions if yes then which partition can be deleted safely without harming the system please solve this problem

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/262067/problems-during-disk-partition-in-disk-management/
Relevancy 81.7%

I ran Computer Management>Disk Management to see the data on all my disk drives. Although all the drives are shown, when looking down the left column I noticed that the number Disk 7 was missing. In other words:
o
o
o
Disk 5 - Removable (Flash Drive)
Disk 6 - Basic (External Drive)
Disk 8 - Basic (External Drive)
o
o
o

So Disk 7 was missing in the listing. I've never experienced that before and was wondering what it meant and whether it indicated a problem.

Any suggestion/advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance........

A:Disk Number Missing in Disk Management

Have you removed an external drive recently? Should there be a disk 7 or was there one recently. The system may not have reset the numbers yet.
Have you tried rebooting?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/396399-disk-number-missing-disk-management.html
Relevancy 81.7%

I ran Computer Management>Disk Management to see the data on all my disk drives. Although all the drives are shown, when looking down the left column I noticed that the number Disk 7 was missing. In other words:
o
o
o
Disk 5 - Removable (Flash Drive)
Disk 6 - Basic (External Drive)
Disk 8 - Basic (External Drive)
o
o
o

So Disk 7 was missing in the listing. I've never experienced that before and was wondering what it meant and whether it indicated a problem.

Any suggestion/advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance........

A:Disk Number Missing in Disk Management

Have you removed an external drive recently? Should there be a disk 7 or was there one recently. The system may not have reset the numbers yet.
Have you tried rebooting?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/396399-disk-number-missing-disk-management.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Is it still possible to bring a disk offline using Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) in Windows 8 the same way it was possible in Windows 7 or is using Diskpart.exe the only way?

A:Disk Management: how to bring a disk offline?

The same as in Windows 7.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/16613-disk-management-how-bring-disk-offline.html
Relevancy 81.7%

my hard drives are working properly but they are not displayed in the disk management.
so what can i do for it?
and my computer icon on the destop was deleted by mistake so from where i can get back my computer icon also i deleted the icon from the recycle bin..

A:hard disk not displayed in disk management

Hi chinu89,

As far as the icons go, the following tutorial covers the procedure to restore both the icons you mentioned: Desktop Icons.

Do your drives show up in Windows Explorer?

Please attach a screenshot of Disk Management so we can see what it looks like as things currently exist. It will be easier than asking a dozen questions about what is or isn't there. We can then proceed from there.

Also, please update and run a full AV scan with your security software. Also, download, install, update, and run a full scan with Malwarebytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org/. This type of problem can be caused by malware - so let's rule that out.

I hope this helps.

Thanks and good luck!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/287028-hard-disk-not-displayed-disk-management.html
Relevancy 81.7%

i just go a 3tb drive and it shows the right size in my startup screens and everything but when i get in windows to partition it is only 746GB i have tried switching it from MBR over to GPT and from basic to dynamic but still no change any 1 have any ideas

A:i cant get disk management show right disk space

It needs to by GPT to see all 3 TB.

How did you do this switching back and forth from MBR to GPT??

Stay away from dynamic disks at all costs. Just say no if they are ever offered.

What is this disk's purpose? Data only? OS? Data and OS?

Do you want just a single partition on it?

What motherboard make, model, and BIOS do you have?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/354296-i-cant-get-disk-management-show-right-disk-space.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Hello
This is my first post in this Tech Support Forum,
When i go to Disk Management i am unable to see any disk partitions in that area only i can see the dvd Rom drive no hard disk and its partitions.
I can access the hard disk from explorer, go to any drive it dosent seams any problem there i can able to do whatever i like to there is no issue.
The only problem is that i am unable to locate my hard drive from Disk Management.
Hope I can able to do justice to the question, as i not a very good at computers so bear with me
thanks for any help regarding this issue
thank you for urs help and suggestions

A:Not able to see hard disk partitions in Disk Management

Please attach a screen shot of Disk Management so we can see what your seeing.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/not-able-to-see-hard-disk-partitions-in-disk-management-551111.html
Relevancy 81.7%

After adding two new SATA hard drives in my computer, I noticed that Disk Management lists SATA Drive C (which contains Win 7) as Disk 2. The other two drives are listed as Disk 0 and Disk 1.

Since I connected SATA Drive C in SATA port 1, I was expecting to see it listed as Disk 0. SATA drives D and E are connected to SATA port 2 and 3 but are listed before the one connected in SATA port 1. Weird!

And since the computer seems to work fine, I'm wondering if the disk numbers listed in Disk Management matter at all? Please let me know if this is normal or if I should change something.

Thanks!

A:Disk numbers in Disk Management matters?

I had the same issue, physically by connecting sata cables disk 1 for XP, disk 2 for Data and disk 3 for Win 7. When initially booting into XP system and going to computer/properties/manage/disk mgr, it showed XP on 0, data on 1 and Win7 on 2. Booting into Win7 and doing the same, the disks were listed as the same, i.e. XP = Win7 = actual physical cable layout. However, on a number of occassions booting into Win7, the drives can be in any order. Machine works and boots OK, guess they are using virtual drives. BTW W7 seems a million times faster than XP Mike

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/93669-disk-numbers-disk-management-matters.html
Relevancy 78.69%

I have read the information on this page below and found it very interesting but it hasn't solved my problem unfortunately.

Disk Write Protection - Enable or Disable in Windows

A couple of days ago a got an update from Windows 10 and let it download and install now my pc keeps yelling me inaccessible boot device. If I filled in in the command prompt Chkdsk/f/r.
It tells me. Cannot lock current drive and then it says windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is wriye protected. As far as I can tell this is not right. Not that I'm a ICT expert.

I then tried with the steps above to take the write protection off. But now it says:
Disk part failed to clear disk attributes.

Does this say anything to anyone? Please help?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/59989-disk-part-failed-clear-disk-attributes.html
Relevancy 78.69%

the computer wont boot the windows i diagnosted everything is ok but it keep saying Error msg: no boot disk detected or disk has failed 

A:Error msg: no boot disk detected or disk has failed

Dear Customer, According to the message you have recently posted If the hard drive is reported as "OK", the boot sector or hard drive may have been corrupted and the operating system needs to be repaired or reinstalled. You may need to use your HP Recovery Discs to resolve either issue above. If you didn't create your personal set of HP Recovery Discs, as suggested by HP, when you setup your computer... you will need to order a set.Contact HP Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again  **Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem. Thank You,GBL84I am not an HP Employee  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Error-msg-no-boot-disk-detected-or-disk-has-failed/td-p/5839655
Relevancy 78.69%

Yesterday when I turned my computer on, it was really slow and I couldn't open any programs. Then it went all blue then white. When I rebooted I see " Checking .media presence, media present, start pcs over ipv6, then Error: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed. I've tried hitting f11, but it just fills the screen with the error message. Is it dead or is there hope?

A:Error: no boot disk has been detected or disk has failed.

Seems like your hard drive has failed. You may have to replace the drive and reinstall Windows. Please use these instructions for testing your hard drive.*Works even if your PC doesn't boot to Windows.    If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon. If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks! 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Error-no-boot-disk-has-been-detected-or-disk-has-failed/td-p/5679798
Relevancy 78.69%

I have a Envy h8-1590ea desktop pc.  [Personal information removed] product No. D7B21EA#ABU.  It was recently upgrade to Windows 10. When I turned on my PC, a black screen appeared with the message: "ERROR: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed." I  ran a Hard Disk Test in BIOS. I've run both the Quick Check and the Extensive Check and both were passed.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/ERROR-no-boot-disk-has-been-detected-or-the-disk-has-failed/td-p/5596223
Relevancy 78.69%

Windows 8 HP Pavilion 500 boots to "Error: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed" - Hard Drive Diagnostics pass - If I go to "Run UEFI Application" in the boot menu, then manually browse to the Bootx64.EFI file, the system boots to Windows correctly. - Enabling/disabling Secure Boot or Legacy Boot in BIOS isn't making a difference. - System Recovery from the boot menu is accessible. - Automatic Repair has no effect. System Restore has no effect. - Process that I found for rebuilding corrupt UEFI partition has no effect (Command Prompt, DiskPart, assign drive letter to EFI partition, browse to the boot folder, Bootrec /fixboot, Bootrec /fixmbr, etc) - Am now out of ideas. Hoping to avoid a Format/reinstall, as the client use applications that he no longer has installation cd's/downloads for.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/Error-No-boot-disk-has-been-detected-or-the-disk-has-failed/td-p/5848509
Relevancy 78.69%

Hello.My OS is Win XP Home (OEM version).My problem is that whenever i try to run Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Disk Management,a small window will pop-up reading, "The RPC server is unavailable".And in the Computer Management window, the status bar would indicate,"Unable to connect to Logical Disk Manager service".But when i run services.msc, both Logical Disk Manager and Logical Disk Manager Administrative Serviceare on automatic and have been started.Disk Defragmenter also does not seem to be functioning,for i have countlessly clicked on the Analyze and Defragment buttons without anything happening.I'm very puzzled as to why i can't run these system tools. I've heard about the benefits of partitioning and defragmenting the hard drive so i would really liketo have a go at it.Help please!

A:Disk Defragmenter And Disk Management Won't Run

Couple of thoughtsFirst you need to be logged on as an administrator to do some of these things. If your individual account is not administrator, then in xp home you need to boot up in safe mode.To do this hit f8 during boot up and you should have an option of logging on as administrator. Default password is no password.Try defragging then. Also here is information on partitioning in windows xp http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309000

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/35681/disk-defragmenter-and-disk-management-wont-run/
Relevancy 78.69%

So I was trying to put a Win 7 installation onto a partition of an external hard drive using WinToFlash (WTF), but after WTF unable to lock down the specific partition I backed out of it by forcing log out, but now I can only see one of the many partitions on the hard drive. How do I find the other ones?

A:Disk not recognized in Disk Management

Have you tried rebooting yet?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/65802-disk-not-recognized-disk-management.html
Relevancy 77.4%

When trying to view my disks in Computer Management>Disk Management, I get "Connecting to Virtual Disk Service" for several minutes, then "Loading disk configuration information" nearly forever. After about 20 minutes, some information appears, but I can't scroll the window to see all the data.

Also - I'm now having trouble creating and re-naming new folders in Win Explorer. It "feels" like it's related. Has something else got control of my drives? Any suggestions welcome.

A:Disk Management hangs at "Loading disk configuration information"

Same issue except no problem with renaming folders.

Following services are running:

Virtual Disk set to Manual
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Plug and Play

Logged in as administrator account. Drives check out OK with manufacturers diagnostic tools.

Running MMC and adding the Snap-in for Disk Management(Local) does not fix the issue. I'm guessing there's a problematic registry setting for a drive that use to exist or is now having an issue. Anyone have any other suggestions?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/91491-disk-management-hangs-loading-disk-configuration-information.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Hello. I left my computer on for 2 hours and I come back to see this error. I ran the hard disk check and it passed everything however the error keeps showing up. Is the disk dying or is there some faulty connection?

A:No boot disk detected or the disk has failed

The first thing to try is to disconnect the connectors at the disk and on the motherboard. Reconnect them afterwards and then power up the PC. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/No-boot-disk-detected-or-the-disk-has-failed/td-p/5587249
Relevancy 77.4%

On startup I am getting the message ' no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed'I have purchased a new H/D,installed it and on startup I get the same message as I had on the old H/D.As there were no disks supplied with the computer when I bought it what do I need to do to get this sucker up and working?  

Solved!

View Solution.

A:no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed

Hi @Jimmy56,Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I understand that you had a "no boot disk has been detected"  type of error on start up, and that you replaced the hard drive and have the same issue. I am happy to help with this. If you put back the original hard drive you can use the following to test the hard drive. It is possible there was a connectivity problem and just re-seating the hard drive could make a difference. HP PCs - Hard Disk Error Displays before the Computer Starts As to the newer hard drive you put in, if there was not an operating system installed you are going to get the same type of message. You could do the same hard drive diagnostics from the above link, just to be sure the drive is good. Please let me know the results, but if just installing the original hard drive back in to the system works, and it starts up properly, then please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/no-boot-disk-has-been-detected-or-the-disk-has-failed/td-p/5534731
Relevancy 77.4%

Hi, I brought my HP ENVY Phoenix h9-1405a about three years ago, it has been very slow when I start the computer (display with hp logo loding sign) and when I just get into windows 8 (pre-loaded), so I reinstalled windows 8. However,  it sometimes turn up with a black screen and says "No boot disk has been detected or disk has failed" after long waiting at hp logo without a loading sign or a blue screen with Error Code 0xc0000185.  Other times might be lucky to get into windows 8 after very long time of waiting at hp logo with a loading sign. Tried hp System Diagnostics, all passed.Tried reset BIOS setting,  still not working.Checked all connectors of the hard drive that they are properly cabled and firmly seated. Help plz.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/No-boot-disk-has-been-detected-or-disk-has-failed/td-p/5717793
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi Guys, any ideas how to access my external hard drive [TOSHIBA MK3029GACE] device manager can see it but it does not appear in disc management.

I use this HDD perfectly in my car HDD player. But when I try to connect it to my Laptop, it does not show up in disk management.

Please check the attached screen shot..

Thanks for the help....

A:HDD shows in "Device Manager" but not in "DiskPart"or" Disk Management

Specs show that drive has a ATA-6 interface (P-ATA, or IDE). How are you connecting this drive to your laptop? Does the laptop have a PATA or SATA connection? Does it use an adapter?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/347111-hdd-shows-device-manager-but-not-diskpart-disk-management.html
Relevancy 75.25%

well its blowing my mind...
im not able to do any thing in computer management-disk management page
my account is an administrator but format, extend and delete volume optiones are grayed (disabled) even when i want to shrink a drive ( not the one with the Vista installed on) i recive an error saying you are not allowed and access is denied .
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Farzad/Desktop/Capture.JPG[/IMG]i dont understand whats the problem... can anyone of you folks help me?
there two pics attached below one is the error it self and the other one is the disk management snapshot.
thanks before answering

A:computer management-disk management problem

Hi farad4me

Windows is using this drive for page filing, DO NOT DELETE.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/247113-computer-management-disk-management-problem.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Hard disk type Seagate SATA Model Number SeaTools, of DST hard failed DST the do hard Short g has My and passed disk Long disk ST AS Serial Number RA J H Firmware Revision AAD OS XP SP Mother Borad Intel GCCR My hard disk has passed Short DST and failed Long DST of SeaTools do the hard disk going to fail If yes how to transfer my data to a new hard disk easily Complete description of the issue I have experienced boot up issue with my PC days back My PC not even boot into safe mode also I got the following blue screen errors on successive restart of PC A x xC F x x FBA X B STOP C Unable to locate component c x E XC X C XF E XF E I have removed and replaced the hard disk several times I can boot into windows now and can work normally But one of the above Blue sreen My hard disk has passed Short DST and failed Long DST of SeaTools, do the hard disk g errors is coming all of sudden while working on PC It is happening independent of the application I am using And the following messages are coming at the XP welcome screen and while working on the PC A C windows system drivers etc netloc wlt has corrupted and unreadable Perform CKDSK B C windows system drivers etc APPFCONT DAT has corrupted and unreadable Perform CKDSK C C windows system drivers etc idsflt cfg bck has corrupted and unreadable Perform CKDSK D Cagefile sys has corrupted and unreadable Perform CKDSK I have performed CHKDSK on all local drives exept local drive C CHKDSK giving a message that quot can not directly access C drive quot I have performed virus scan with the following software and no virus has found Panda Internet Security Malware Bytes Spybot TrendMicro Housecall Performed Seagate s my hard disk is a seagate hard disk SeaTools hard disk tests Short DST Pass Long DST Fail HDtune software test Pass ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hijack This Log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security TPSrv exe C PROGRAM FILES PANDA SECURITY PANDA INTERNET SECURITY WebProxy exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files Google Update GoogleCrashHandler exe C Program Files McAfee SiteAdvisor McSACore exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security PsCtrls exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security PavFnSvr exe C Program Files Common Files Panda Security PavShld pavprsrv exe c program files panda security panda internet security firewall PSHOST EXE C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security PsImSvc exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security PskSvc exe C WINDOWS System TUProgSt exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security pavsrv exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security AVENGINE EXE C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS RTHDCPL EXE C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security APVXDWIN EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Taskbar Shuffle taskbarshuffle exe C Program Files RocketDock RocketDock exe C Program Files ViGlance ViGlance exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files WordWeb wweb exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security SRVLOAD EXE C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security PavBckPT exe C Program Files Sify Broadband BBClient exe C Program Files Sify Broadband BBImpSec exe C Program Files Java jre bin java exe C WINDOWS system cmd exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM ping exe C Program Files The KMPlayer KMPlayer exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security PAVJOBS EXE C Program Files Googl... Read more

A:My hard disk has passed Short DST and failed Long DST of SeaTools, do the hard disk g

In a Run box, enter "chkdsk /r"
You'll be asked if you want to run chkdsk at the next reboot. Enter "Y".
Reboot, and be prepared to wait, as it may take a long time.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-hard-disk-has-passed-short-dst-and-failed-long-dst-of-seatools-do-the-hard-disk-g.860682/
Relevancy 70.52%

So this really irritates me because I just spent hundreds of dollars sending my laptop to HP last year because the hard drive completely failed. I have a 1TB hybrid hard drive and 22Gb solid state used for caching.  When I booted up my computer Intel Rapid Storage Technology said there was an issue.  When I opened it, it says that the status of: SATA disk (932 GB)(System) Accelerated, is Failed.  My SATA_Array_0001 22GB is fine though.  So I ran a System Quick Test,everything passed except Hard Drive Short DST Check: FAILEDFAILURE ID: Q4MP7Q-6RA82U-MFGJWK-60W303 This is weird because other than the computer telling me there is something wrong every time I restart it, It seems to run just fine.  Im just worried because I don't want it to randomly die on me one day.  

A:SATA disk failed and Hard Drive Short DST Check: Failed

Hi there @nmulji,  Thank you for joining in on the HP Support Forums and Welcome! This is a great place to ask questions, find solutions and get help from others in the community! I read your post on the HP Support Forums and understand that the Hard Drive in your HP ENVY TouchSmart 15t-j100 Select Edition CTO Notebook PC failed the Short DST Check.  SMART (Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology System) uses a technology known as predictive failure analysis to tell you when a hard drive failure is imminent. Have you tried to Restore the BIOS? If not, please try this step first. Then, just to be on the safe side, back up your data that way it does not get lost. However, there might be certain conditions that cause a hard drive failure message to display when a problem does not exist (a false positive). To fix false positive hard drive errors, please try updating the hard drive firmware. You can check whether an update is available by going to the  Get software and drivers page. You will need to put in your Model Number and then click the links that pertain to the computer configuration and see if a hard drive update is available.  You could also try to do a  Disk Defragment to consolidate files and move them to another section of the drive where errors are less likely to occur. Did this reply resolve your issue or answer your question? If yes, then please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation by clicking the Thumbs Up. If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting. Thanks! 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/SATA-disk-failed-and-Hard-Drive-Short-DST-Check-Failed/td-p/5596311
Relevancy 70.09%

This is more of a GENERAL issue rather then a windows 7 one, but what ever ..

So lets get started on my problem, i have 2 disk drives, C:/ and D:/

C:/ is perfectly fine, D on the other hand i installed linux on , and i set it so linux would use the WHOLE D drive for memory. Then i wanted to delete it, so i did and now when i go to

My computer (right click it ) -> Manage -> disk Management

Then i deleted the linux partition, so ATM , i have my C , which is fine, D which is what was left of what linux didnt use (3gb), originally was 70 now its 3 cause linux took it. Then a nother
partition which is labeled, "Free Space" which has 63 gb. My question is , how do i make it so my D Drive uses all 68 gb again.

Thanks

Relevancy 70.09%

This is my first post ... so please be gentle with me!!

System is dual boot to Vista home premium and Windows 7 pro.

Vista is on E: and Windows 7 is on C:, and both work fine.

Problem is that I want to use N: for backup (this previously had Vista installed on it) but can't because it is a system disk.

Question is, how do I make C: the system disk so that I can use N: for backup?

Any help would be appreciated.

A:Disk management

Why would you not include the Disk Mgmt drive map so we can see where these partitions actually are? Please maximize the window and include everything so we can answer you best.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/229891-disk-management.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hey People I have an interesting problem that shouldn t be too hard for you guys I have Management) (XP Uh-Oh... Disk three external hard-disks connected through a USB-HUB with my WinXP computer Never had any problems whatsoever The other day that is today one of the disks didn t show up in My Computer So I did a right-click on my-computer-- gt manage-- gt disk management like we all would do Uh-Oh... (XP Disk Management) if a disk doesn t show up The bar was there but it sayd Unallocated or something like that if I recall Basicly it didn t have a drive letter assigned to it wich is pretty weird Through some magic that I don t quite remember I got a drive letter assigned to it It shows up in My Computer so problem solved is what I thought Not even close When I double click Uh-Oh... (XP Disk Management) the drive It used to be labelled K now it s called Local Disk it doesn t open it coming up with an error msgbox quot Y is not accessible nParameter incorrect quot On other PC s it says the drive needs to be formatted I really DON T want to format the drive since it has our movie project on Uh-Oh... (XP Disk Management) there that we worked on the last months Any options on how to solve this deal Please explain very simple since I m blond probably stupid and not into FAT codenames of whatever - THANKS A MILLION -Efraim nbsp

Relevancy 70.09%

I have several external hard drives that I take from one windows 7 64 bit computer to other windows 7 64 bit computers. This is a graphics company. The hard drives hold large gigabytes of film data thus the need to constantly move data from the hard drive to specific computers.

In every instance I have to perform this ritual:
Open control panel> storage disk >management >chose the disk number >change drive letter and path >
Add

Most folks who don't know this routine will be prompted to Format hard drive. If folks knew that the drive needed the hard drive add misery could be avoided.

Thus several times a day I need to add a drive letter path because somehow the letter disappears.

Is there a method to lock in a drive letter? Just curious.
Thanks!

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/396749-disk-management.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on a new hard drive (Seagate 1 TB) from system image. My old hard drive was a 500 GB but was partitioned into C: 304.82 and D: 148.33. When I look in disk management, I see 465.76 GB and 6 MB of unallocated space. How do I make it all one drive again or should I keep partitions. The drive was partitioned when I bought the PC from an individual, but that drive has failed now. It is now installed on the new hard drive. Please help.
I hope I didn't confuse you with my post.

Thank you
Fay

A:disk management

The rest of your space probably stayed unallocated in Disk Management, post a screenshot of it as described in Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

You should be able to extend to the free space to the right of current partition, still post that screenshot so we can guide you accurately.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/374622-disk-management.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I just installed Win Vista Ultimate 32-bit on my daughters computer,it has a 500 GB drive.When I installed the OS it only recognized the drive as 32 GB.I thought no problem we can just expand the partition later.Now I cannot get it to see the actual size of the disk in the disk management console.What do you do with that?I checked all the standard solutions,I have a huge book Windows Vista Bible.Not one source has said they have a solution to get Vista to recognize drives actual size.
Anyone know what to do?I am willing to start over and reinstall,but maybe we need ome sort of slip stream install,I don't know.

when you format/partitioned the drive in the original set up - did you enable
the large disk support.? LDS

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disk-management.778163/
Relevancy 70.09%

Dell Dimension 4600. No problems. Installed 2nd Hard Drive Maxtor 120gb. On bootup drive found and drivers installed. No drive letter in My Computer. Device manager shows hd installed. BIOS shows hd installed. Does not appear in disk management. Any ideas?

Relevancy 70.09%

Hi All,
I am havein Vista Home Premium instaled on mu laptop.
there are three partition on my Hard disk
C: 31 GB
D: 5 Gb (Recovery disk)
E : 75 GB
I wan to format my system and want to merge C:\ drive and E:\ drive as single drive. I have recovery disk with me.
I dont bother if data is lost on either drive. I just want to reinsitall every thing and create single drive.
Please help

A:Disk Management

Originally Posted by sachien

Hi All,
I am havein Vista Home Premium instaled on mu laptop.
there are three partition on my Hard disk
C: 31 GB
D: 5 Gb (Recovery disk)
E : 75 GB
I wan to format my system and want to merge C:\ drive and E:\ drive as single drive. I have recovery disk with me.
I dont bother if data is lost on either drive. I just want to reinsitall every thing and create single drive.
Please help

Sachien, IMO it's not a good idea at all. Instead, you should move your data folders like Desktop, Documents, Downloads, pictures, etc., to drive E, so that if in the future, you need to reinstall the OS and format your primary partition, you do not have to worry about the data. Check this out: Move Documents,Desktop,Videos,Pictures,Downloads to new location in Vista | Windows Reference

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/202063-disk-management.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Start - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management.

The Disk Management is no longer showing the disks - all it has is a blank screen with a message at the base - Connecting to Virtual Disk Service. Going to Services shows this set to manual and started. Can anyone help with this. Also a few days ago when hooking up an external drive the PC no longer automatically recognised the drive and it was necessary to allocate a drive letter via Disk Management but this facility is no longer available. Everything was working fine until then so any input/help appreciated.

Win7 64bit, 8gb ram, SSD128gb and HD500gb.

Do the disks show up in Device Manager and in the BIOS?

I think I'd be inclined to run the system file checker making sure you've backed everything up first.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

If that doesn't find anything try a full anti-virus scan in Safe Mode.

Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a free download that removes viruses and malware from your computer

When you get things up and running you might want to change the external drive's drive letter to one higher up the alphabet so as to avoid any conflict with the existing drives.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/175960-disk-management.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Not sure if this is the right section (I'm obviously new), I looked at all the subs and I thought this was the most appropriate one.

So anyways, here's my inquiry.

I tried to figure this out by myself but I guess it's above me. I reinstalled windows a bit ago and for some reason it moved 115G over to my D: drive which I didn't want and I'm trying to figure out how to move it back to my C: drive. I moved the extra space in disk management and it's now unallocated, but I can't extend or merge my D: drive. Also, I reinstall windows again this morning. I dislike how windows 7 saves the old data and I was wondering if I could somehow bypass all that and actually start anew when I do reinstall windows.

A:Help: Disk Management

With just one reading I couldn't really understand what you are describing and for what help you are asking. And I am not going to try to read those fly specs again. Could you tell us your current situation and what it is that you want to do? (But, don't bother doing that for my sake if you are going to use a non-default font.)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-disk-management.987349/
Relevancy 70.09%

My Asus Notebook came with the HD partitioned into OS (C) 75 gb and data (D) 208gb. I have just about filled C partition. I don't need it to be partition. I have tried shrinking D drive using the disk management tool. But the shrink volume does not go to C but to something called free volume. When i open my computer I cannot see the shrinked GB. I just want an unpartioned HD.

How can I do this?

Thanks

Try this util, it should help you extend the C partition: News

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/92580-disk-management.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Is there any way to retrieve volumes, or files, from unallocated partitions? I deleted the wrong partition, and it was sent to an unallocated partition. Need help!!!! :

A:Disk management gone bad

Uh, Oh.

Chances are that the files are still there. But getting them back may be a problem.

Try booting from this floppy (Run the program to create the floppy) and running "pr.exe" at the prompt. Try the option to scan the drive for partitions. See if it can recover anything.

http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/APR.exe

Recovery software will need a defined partition before it can even search. But do as little as possible to that drive to avoid erasing anything. In other words, try one thing at a time and then use this program to see what it can recover before trying something else since each step is capable of permanently erasing the files.

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/welcome.htm

If all else fails, use Disk Management to create a new partition in the exact same place as the old one. Format it, but be sure to do a "Quick" format if the option is available to avoid erasing any surviving files. Then try the PCI recovery utility again.

Here is another file recovery program that you can try. See if either will scan without a format first, but I think a format will be necessary. With this program (Restoration), click "Others" and "Scan All Clusters".

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disk-management-gone-bad.274393/
Relevancy 70.09%

In Windows XP Pro, is there a way to get a set of Dynamic Disks that have been spanned into a single volume to un-span and revert to being Basic Disks again without losing all the data on the disks?

Hi Sarge,

Long time no see and glad you are still around and kicking. Anyway, the only way that I know you can do that is to move the total disk to a temp file on your hard disk, then copy or burn a CD with the files that you want on each disk. Don't think there is any automatic way to revert them back without this process.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/disk-management-94008.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I using XP pro C drive 4gigs and F drive 9gigs on a 13gig HD. I want to combine the c and F drive to give me more disk space on the c drive. Or how do I get everything to down load to the F drive and use my c drive just for the operating system . Please help. Thanks

In "My Computer" ... Right click on the F drive and choose to create a shortcut.
This will place a shortcut to the F drive on your desktop.
Now you can copy (move) your Data to the F drive .. or choose to download it there.

Combining the partitions will require software ....
sure you wouldn't rather install a bigger HD instead ??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disk-management.661492/
Relevancy 70.09%

I have four Sata 3 ports and two Sata 6 ports on my motherboard. I plugged my SSD in one of the Sata 6 ports, one HDD in the other Sata 6 port, and my other HDD in a Sata 3 port when I first got my PC in the summer. In Disk Managment my SSD is showing as Disk 2. I didn't worry about it because everything is working fine. Today I had some time on my hands and went in and reversed the two cables in the Sata 6 ports. I looked in Disk Managment and nothing changed. My SSD still shows as Disk 2 and the other HDD shows the same Disk as if nothing had switched. Shouldn't something have been different?

Bigmck, Disk Management usually does not get it right. I don't worry too much about it. As long as you know they are in the correct ports, it is OK. Disk management uses it's own ordering system having not much to do with ports. Maybe someone smarter than me will come along and tell us both how it determines which is which port. I have no clue except that it is usually not right.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/270445-disk-management.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi management disk help Hi have a lenovo z with three partitions local disk C - approx Gb D - disk management help approx GB and microsoft office click to run protected Q My HDD has a capacity of GB I tried to shrink my drive c to gb and succeeded So now i have gb of free space Iwanted to extend my drive D get all the remaining free space so i backed up the contents of drive d and deleted the volume using disk management The gb was now labeled free space but without thinking I deleted this free space instead of extending the gb free space I previously created How do I get it back I badly need your help I already tried several partition recovery tools but they don't work or I don't know how to make them work I'm missing about gb of free space and when i run disk management again it says that disk only has a capacity of gb Thanks in advance

A:disk management help

Hello jay1623, welcome to Seven Forums!

From what you say the "Free Space" was part of an Extended partition and not compatible with a Primary partition, what I'm sure the other paratitions are; using Windows disk management to create a fourth partition it will be an Extended partition by default.

Information

Before we make any specific recommendations will you please post a snip/screen-shot of the entire Windows disk management drive map with a full description as to which drive/partition is which, so we can see what you have going on as there may be a fairly simple way to resolve the situation.

In the Windows start menu right click computer and click manage, in the left pane of the "Computer Management" window that opens click disk management and post a maximized snip of that.

How to Upload and Post a Screenshot and File in Seven Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/177181-disk-management-help.html
Relevancy 70.09%

hey guy i just tryed to use disk management to hide a drive that has a back up off all my data on it and i keep geting this error from it but i have not changed anything from last night when it was working ok

A:help with disk management

Hello F17ZY,

In Services, double check the services listed below to make sure that they set this way:Plug and Play - Started - Automatic
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) - Started - Automatic
Virtual Disk - Manual
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/29437-help-disk-management.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I just purchased a new XPS DELL computer with windows 8.1 on it. it has local disk (c with 108GB with 5.24 GB free and Local Disk (I with 1.81 TB with 1.7TB free.

It appears that everything that is put on the computer is only going to the C: drive

Don't know a lot about computers, how can I get some of the stuff off of the C: drive and everything else to th I: drive?

Relevancy 70.09%

I'm trying to change my external hard drive from 'NTFS' to 'FAT32'.

I was following a guide on WikiHow, and the guide told me to delete the external hard drive's partition, and then recreate the partition for my external hard drive.

I deleted my external hard drive's partition, and I'm trying to recreate the partition, but I cannot find out how to do so. When I deleted my external hard drive's partition, it disappeared, so there's I cannot easily recreate a partition. Can someone help me, please?

Thanks

Additional InformationMy external hard drive is a 'My Passport Essential'; it holds 500GB of space.
My external hard drive was listed as a 'G' drive on my computer.
I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

A:Disk Management - Need Help, Please

Have a looky over here pal

data-partition

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/118019-disk-management-need-help-please.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I recently acquired a Dell Studio XPS desktop with Vista Ultimate as the OS My plan is to upgrade to Windows in the next couple of months or so Therefore I won't need the Vista recovery partition on the hard drive I am trying to management disk with Help eliminate it and add to the C drive partition Looking at my drive in disk management I have from Right to left a C partition Gb NTFS with the usual Healthy System Boot Page File Active Crash Dump Primary Partition Directly to the left is the Recovery or D drive Help with disk management which is Gb NTFS marked Healthy Primary Help with disk management Partition and finally to the left is the last partition of Mb marked Healthy EISA Configuration No idea what that is Right clicking in the Recovery partition gives several options including format shrink volume extend volume delete volume mark volume as active change drive letter and paths as well as help My question is how to remove the recovery partition and then extend the C partition My first thought is to format the recovery partition delete the volume and then right click the C drive partition and extend it but I really need some advice so I don't screw up the whole disk For instance I have no idea what if anything hapens to the drive letters I think maybe what I am calling partitions are really volumes so you can see I am over my head here Any help will be very much appreciated Bob

A:Help with disk management

Hello Bob, and welcome to Vista Forums.

If you have not already, then I would recommend that you create a set of recovery discs from your partition for the "Vista Recovery Disc" and "Applications and Driver Disc". This way you can reinstall Vista on your computer if you ever decided to later. Once you delete the recovery paritions, you will not be able to without these discs.

Dell - Support

The easiest way to do this is to wait until you are doing a clean install of Windows 7. During the install of Windows 7, you can select and delete all partitions on the drive to have only one large C: drive partition again. Steps 7 and 8 in the tutorial below is the part during the installation that you would do this at.

Clean Install Windows 7 - Windows 7 Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/251049-help-disk-management.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I have several external hard drives that I take from one windows 7 64 bit computer to other windows 7 64 bit computers. This is a graphics company. The hard drives hold large gigabytes of film data thus the need to constantly move data from the hard drive to specific computers.

In every instance I have to perform this ritual:
Open control panel> storage disk >management >chose the disk number >change drive letter and path >
Add

Most folks who don't know this routine will be prompted to Format hard drive. If folks knew that the drive needed the hard drive add misery could be avoided.

Thus several times a day I need to add a drive letter path because somehow the letter disappears.

Is there a method to lock in a drive letter? Just curious.
Thanks!

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/396749-disk-management.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Can someone tell me if this looks right with the boot drive C being disk 3
thxs

It would be better to swap C to Disk0 so any future Startup Repair won't derail the System Boot files to a preceding partition which is accidentally marked Active. Remember to set it first to boot if you do.

Either way you need to mark H Inactive - only the System drive should be marked Active: Partition - Mark as Inactive - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/213060-disk-management.html
Relevancy 70.09%

This sounds straight forward but I can not figure this out I am new to this I have a Etower MHz with mb s of memory and gig hard drive I used partition magic to partition the drive inorder to Solved: system ! error or disk drive non in disk disk Multi-boot no problem try and install DOS and win and maybe linux I am following the instructions from this web site here gt gt http www xperts co za multi-boot I am using the disks that I made from downloading from this site referring to REUEL Boot disk this disk took me through the entire process It all went great until I rebooted and I keep getting Non-System disk or disk Solved: Multi-boot problem non system disk or disk error no disk in drive ! error I have no disk s in the drives I even installed win and all it did was go straight to windows With in windows I could see the drives I partitioned all of them except the one that windows was actually on I have done this again and again trying to see if I did anything wrong Anybody know what is wrong Also can anyone tell me how to get free dos I can not figure out what files to download The one that I am trying to install now is suppose to be mini dos I am really new to dos so I am doing a lot of guessing nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-multi-boot-problem-non-system-disk-or-disk-error-no-disk-in-drive.274880/
Relevancy 69.23%

I had created a Linux partition and in attempting to delete it which I did I ended up with that volume in a "E" drive. It is empty naturally and I would like to get that volume transferred/expanded into primary NTFS partition. As an aside I am 84 so those things happen.
 drive.PNG   12.52KB
  0 downloads

A:Disk management challenge

You can do it either inside of Windows but I prefer to use Partition Wizard. 

Delete the E: Partiton
Resize your C: Partition

No steps are done until Apply is clicked as all steps are virtual which allows you to exit out of Partition Wizard if you make a mistake.

If you have not done so I also recommend you create a System Repair Disk of Window 7. However unlikely deleting and expanding partitions can go wrong so it would be best to backup your personal data and would be better if you also create a complete disk image to an external drive using a program like Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper. Be sure to create the bootable disk or USB flash drive both programs offer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/628175/disk-management-challenge/
Relevancy 69.23%

i can extend F drive from my C drive.
but i can not extend my E drive from neither of my drive [from D drive and F drive]

suggest me to extend my E drive

here is the screenshot.

A:disk management problem

Hard for me to read ... but ... it looks like from your screenshot that you already have four primary partitions assigned. IF that's true, and you're trying create another -- you can't. Four Primaries is the maximum number.

Also, from the same screenshot, it doesn't look like you have any unallocated space. It looks like your entire drive is allocated. Thus, there's no free space for you to extend a partition into.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/112540-disk-management-problem.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I want to shrink the C Drive (Vista Drive). Actually 111GB is free out of 236GB on the C Drive but I am only about to Shrink 6GB and even when I try to Shrink the Drive by 6GB I get an error. I want to create a new partition on my hard-disk. These are the screen shots:

How can I solve this problem?

A:Disk Management Problem!

Hello Looi76,

I'm not sure that you will be able to shrink the C: partition without having to use a 3rd party program. You may be only to shrink that amount space due to unmovable allocated space for System Restore, page file, shadow copy, etc.. Vista Disk Management is basic and limited in what it can do. Only a 3rd party disk management program can move this allocated space to allow you to shrink the partition.

For you "Access is denied" error, check to make sure that the owner of the C: drive is set to Trusted Installer and that your user name account is allowed full permission.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/197624-disk-management-problem.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I was trying to do some cleanup on my system and needed to rearrange my drive letters. Tried to open Disk manager and an error popped up that said "dependency service or group failed to start." I checked to make sure that the appropriate services were running and tried Disk Manager again. Now it was showing my drives.

Got out of Computer Management all together and then went back into Disk Management to verify my settings had taken. I got the same error again and could not see my drives, I exited Computer management and again went back into DM and my drives were now listed again.
Can anybody explain the sporadic behavior?

Relevancy 69.23%

In Disk Management I have 31.09 GB Healthy (Recovery Partition).

I need the space. How do I get red of it and add it to my C Drive?

A:Disk Management Window

Post a picture of your disk management. Then we'll see.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/314482-disk-management-window.html
Relevancy 69.23%

hello I need some help with a hard drive I just put into my system is this is the wrong part of the forum please let me know

I recently installed Vista with on this machine with this new HD deatched though it had previously been used in this computer running xp.

It is a IDE hard drive and although device manager recognizes it as a disk drive I cannot get windows explorer or disk management to notice it. It has a ntfs format.

Thanks please let me know any additional info I should post. my other drive is SATA drive

A:2nd HD (IDE) not detected by disk management

Hi Usurperr, and welcome to Vista Forums.

It sounds like you may not have you BIOS setup properly for the drive. Consult with your motherboard manual for this to help you also. You will need to check in BIOS to make sure that the port you plugged the new IDE hard drive into on the motherboard is set for IDE in the BIOS (CMOS or Integrated Peripherals) settings and not for SATA or RAID.

Also, double check you IDE ribbon cable and power connections to make that they are secure and fully connected.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/172677-2nd-hd-ide-not-detected-disk-management.html
Relevancy 69.23%

hello
i tryed getting into the disk management on my system and i got this error.

is there a service disabled that is causing it ?

thanks scrooge

A:disk management error

sorry no need for help i fixed it . it was the v disk service was set to disable.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/182946-disk-management-error.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I have a newly installed Vista64 Ultimate system. After clicking Disk Management in the Computer Management window the service never starts. Instead, the following launching information is displayed: Loading disk configuration information?..
Any idea what might cause this strange behavior.
Sincerely,
Jan in Stockholm

A:Disk Management never starts

There is a service called 'Virtual Disk'. This service is required when using the Disk Management console - it says in the status bar, 'Connecting to virtual disk service...', after which it says 'Loading disk configuration information...'.

You should check whether you have disabled this service (in Computer Management, go to Services). Look for 'Virtual Disk'. It should be set to Manual, at least.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/175828-disk-management-never-starts.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi people,
Ok i wouldnt have even checked the disk management tool but i have installed a 120 gb seagate sata hdd as a slave drive. low and behold my disk mangement shows no hdds at all, not even the factory one. but the dvd and cd roms do show up
so i have...

- swapped sata and power cables both work
- checked bois both show up
- the new one is spinning up/ working

- ran malwarebytes full scan came up clean
computer is a dell
xp pro
1gb ram
intel 3.0 hyper threading

i have read the post similar to my posting but none have the fix i am looking for..

thanks for the help

Relevancy 69.23%

Hey guys,
I was having trouble with installing flash for chrome.
It always reads the wrong disk because I put in a new HD.
My main one is F:/, but flash tries to install on C:.
I tried to change the drive letter but disk management "fails to initialize" and thus won't start. I tried MS's solution (regsvr32 c:\winnt\system32\dmdskmgr.dll) but I get an error (----
LoadLibrary("c:\winnt\system32\dmdskmgr.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found.)
What do I do now????

A:Disk Management Issues

there may be ways to force it to install but I don't know. I do know I had the a lot of similar problems before when trying to install apps when main drive was NOT c.
All I can sugest is to redo the system so "c" is the main drive with windows. That will prervent you from having many problems in the future.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disk-management-issues.782144/
Relevancy 69.23%

OK so I just realized I have an external drive that's not hooked up Been Management drive? with Fun Disk Bad sitting there for I don't know how long I just completely lost track of how many drives I used to have hooked up Supposed to Bad drive? Fun with Disk Management be only been showing for a long time So I plug it in gives me the quot hardware attached quot sound but nothing happens in Explorer Shows up in Device Manager Does show up in Disk Management but won't let me do anything to it Cannot initialize can't go online with it can't change the drive letter just says quot Disk Unknown Not Initialized quot Reboot went into BIOS Also shows up there I'm guessing it's kaput I know there must have been stuff on there but it's been so long I can't even remember what it was TV shows Movies Music Nuclear secrets The formula for the Higgs Boson Have tried cables one of which is brand new USB with the Micro B end on it in both USB and USB ports

A:Bad drive? Fun with Disk Management

Have you tried DISKPART Guy it should show up in there. Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command
go to point 4 and see what there is.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/302395-bad-drive-fun-disk-management.html
Relevancy 69.23%

hi,
I'm running an emachines (Tower) with windows xp home sp3 installed,1 gig ram, and a 160 gig hdd.

My problem is as follows:

I purchased a new o.e.m. 2.5" hard drive for my laptop. It needs to be partitioned and formatted before I can use it. I connected it to the above tower as a usb external drive.

I then went into disk manager to partition and format the drive ( I have done this many times with other hard drives with no problem). It shows up as unallocated and when I right click on it, partition and format are grayed out and
not accessible.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
dad47

A:Disk management problems xp

When you right click on it, you should have the option to initialize

If you are going to install a operating system once it is in the laptop, you can format it then

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/disk-management-problems-xp-480501.html