Windows Support Forum

CD/DVD Drives not showing up

Q: CD/DVD Drives not showing up

I have a DVD Rom and a DVD Burner and neither of CD/DVD showing up Drives not them are showing CD/DVD Drives not showing up up in my computer I've been into my BIOS and can't seem to find an option that enables disables them This is my motherboard Click Here Don't know if that helps for understanding my BIOS or not I'm using Windows Ultimate Bit Also I am using Daemon tools if that matters at all or not I have one drive using Daemon tools that shows up all the time but not my real drives Oh also I checked the lower and upper registry files and I could only see one of the two Only seen upper file no lower one on both drives which didn't work when I deleted them Face to Palm Didn't think to check the cable seeing as yesterday I added some RAM and the IDE cable is a bit short when I lower the side of the case down Sorry for anyones time I've wasted reading this

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: CD/DVD Drives not showing up

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: CD/DVD Drives not showing up

Sounds like corrupted drivers. Check Device Manager for yellow exclaimation marks next to your optical drives.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/223030-cd-dvd-drives-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 22.36%

I've said time and time again that solid state drives are the future but the truth of the matter is, traditional spinning disks still have a place inside a modern PC as a storage / backup drive. The question then becomes,...

Read more

A:Latest hard drive reliability data reveals it may be best to avoid 3TB drives

Well I'm glad I have never bought a Seagate HD. I usually buy Western Digital, except my SSD is Samsung.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/latest-hard-drive-reliability-data-reveals-it-may-be-best-to-avoid-3tb-drives.208285/
Relevancy 23.22%

I recently bought a Windows DVD to put it on the new PC I'm building for my mom. That PC has troubles with the DVD drive itself (stupid motherboard doesn't have IDE..), so I figured I'd set up a bootable USB to install Windows before the adapter arrives. Problem is, the installation DVD isn't playing on my drive (I tried another DVD with a movie on it before, so I don't think its my drive). I brought it to a PC shop and for them it worked fine, even though its quite scratched on the back (I guess the person selling those DVDs doesn't know how to ship them properly) I didn't wanna pay 20 bucks for them copying the DVD, even though I'll probably end up having to do that.

Any ideas what the problem is, or what I can do? I'm not sure if the DVD will work in my moms drive either..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-works-with-other-drives-but-not-mine-while-other-dvds-work.216661/
Relevancy 24.94%

So I was downloading a game . After the download finished a clicked on play to well.... Start playing and something wierd happened. My screen went blue (screen colour when nothing in being recieved) At first I thought it was the in game resolution so I tried pressing alt and enter to change the view from full screen to windowed. I also tried pressing alt and f4 to try and close the game but still nothing was showing. So I hard reseted my pc. The msi logo boot up shows normally but after the logo the screen stops showing anything. I tried changing hdmi ports and the first time this happened it fixed the problem. But because I'm stupid I tried booting up the game again and the same thing happened but changing ports didn't work this time. I tried everything but nothing has worked. If anyone could help it would be very appreciated. Also I can't boot into safe mode because I'm using win8.1 and also an ssd.

My specs: msi mobo
Gpu: gtx 760 2gb
8gb ram
SSD
Normal HDDHDD
600W power supply

Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-not-showing-output.215936/
Relevancy 24.51%

Today, my external hard drive has not appeared on my PC. It did work before I went to sleep yet when I began my PC in the next morning, it didn't show. Can you please help me how to fix this?

A:External hard drive not showing up on my PC

Hello there,

There are a lot of different reasons for an HDD to stop showing. A few things you can try are:

Try using a different USB cable, make sure it is as short as the original one, or even shorter. This is important it terms of providing enough power for the drive to function properly.

Try connecting it to different USB ports.

Try connecting it to a different PC.

Sometimes the drive can misbehave due to insufficient power even if it appears to be spinning make sure you connect the HDD directly to the USB port and not through a USB hub.

Check if you can see the HDD in Windows Device Manager and in Disk Management. Good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-on-my-pc.209548/
Relevancy 24.94%

I have a Gateway NE56R34u Laptop, I tried to check the drivers in device manager and it seems that everything has been installed properly or no missing drivers found but when I tried to check some of my hardware in DXDIAG showing N/A for (operating system, processor video etc.) I also tried to update it or uninstall the driver but still the same help me out please thank you

A:Have drivers but showing in DXDIAG N/A

I also uploaded some information so atleast it will be easier for some to determine my issue thank you

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/have-drivers-but-showing-in-dxdiag-n-a.215501/
Relevancy 22.36%

I have a three month old Dell Dimension GHZ P Gig Ram and a gig SATA Hard Drive When I got the computer I used the files and transfer PC Relocator utility And had in Error system drives did hard Message: disk find Setup not your installed any a bunch of unwanted extras that came with it I m having a Satellite Internet system installed and they wanted a clean install of windows XP So I opened the owner s manual and got out the reinstallation disk and the problems began By the way Dell tech support s only response has been to say gee that s not right and would send a tech sometime after Christmas Anyway heres step by step what I did I boot to the Dell reinstallation disk Error Message: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system The windows setup screen appears and loads files The next screen says welcome to setup and offers three options -to setup XP press enters To repair XP press R to exit without installing XP press F I press enter and the following message comes up Setup did not find any hard disk installed in your computer Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected And any disk related configuration is correct ect Press F to quit It dose this if I try repair also Dell had me check the connections to the HD and Motherboard They re good And debug the hard drive No luck Everything worked fine until I put in the reinstallation disk Any help would be welcome nbsp

A:Error Message: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system

During Setup, it will ask you if you need any extra drivers such as SCSI (or SATA in your case). If so, press F6. Now you are in trouble, because SATA drivers come on a floppy and new(er) Dells don't have a floppy anymore. Borrow a floppy-drive from another PC and install that in your Dell.
Setting up with the Dell disks, I'm not sure if they are RESTORE-disks or full XP-disks.
That may cause another problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-message-setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-installed-in-your-system.18329/
Relevancy 32.68%

Hello I have a PC with HDD - GB not IDE - GB IDE I could boot normally with both connected Everything worked even tho in the Jmicron thing before booting I see only any no found drives Detect Drives:done, the gb drive So I bought a new PC and decided to sell this old one but only with the GB HDD So I removed the GB IDE hard disc and now the computer can t Detect Drives:done, no any drives found boot Jmicron thing Detect Drives:done, no any drives found says this error quot Detect Drives done no any drives done quot and after a second I get a black screen with message that says I need to select a proper boot device I ve selected this GB HDD on which the Windows is installed in BIOS it is set as primary boot device Things what I ve done -Changed SATA to IDE RAID AHCI - when RAID the HDD can t be found -Reset BIOS to Defaults - no result -Removed the battery - no result -Added back the IDE drive - no result -Changed the cables in the motherboard there are x sata cables red black the red ones I guess are for Jmicron so I connected the hdd on all of them and no result -Disabled Jmicron thing in BIOS and the message where it says that no drives were found is now skipped and I get to the black screen with message about Selecting proper boot device -Connected this GB HDD to the new PC - booted without problems So I guess this is something in the BIOS that IDE drive I removed changed and I dont know how to fix it The BIOS detects the HDD it s set on first position in the boot device priority I even disabled the others - still nothing but I get the error that there is no boot media Please help Thanks nbsp

A:Detect Drives:done, no any drives found

Ok I fixed it . What I did:
-used windows 7 disc and ran a repair ( note I have a windows 10 installed xD) so the first repair couldnt find the drives so it did something.
-after this repair it restarted I opened the repair again and now I saw my C:\ drive with windows 10 enterprise installed. I clicked and I pressed repair and now it said I need windows 10 repair disc.
-I changed SATA type to RAID and booted successfully.
-at the boot it asked me whether I want to start windows or repair. I clicked on repair.
-after the repair it restarted. Message apeared "Getting Devices Ready" - took about 5-10 mins
-PC booted successfully with no Data loss

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/detect-drives-done-no-any-drives-found.210292/
Relevancy 22.79%

Look no further than a solid state drive for breakneck speed. If a large-capacity drive for storage is what you're after, however, traditional spinning hard drives are still the best bet in terms of price per GB. And if you...

Read more

A:Western Digital 'Green' hard drives now available in capacities up to 6TB

On a more interesting note, Seagate is already shipping 8TB HDD-s to its select customers, with 10TB ones to follow.

Besides, nothing beats the current 6TB Enterprise offer from Seagate anyway, in terms of price+performance+capacity. Let Western Digital lag behind as it does

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-green-hard-drives-now-available-in-capacities-up-to-6tb.204017/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hey guys weird problem here The TB internal drive in my PC started slowly dying in December and my brother got me an SSD additional and connecting when laggy hard drives PC sluggish for Christmas I installed it and it works amazing flawlessly and I love it When I attempted to make my old dying drive a secondary hard drive Windows PC laggy and sluggish when connecting additional hard drives recognized it fine despite the SATA connection broken off and I was able to salvage what I wanted from it The speed of the transfer was blazing and I was pretty happy but I noticed Windows getting insanely laggy and sluggish The mouse would stop moving every few inches and the keyboard would stop responding Instead of normal lag such as me typing this sentence nothing happening and then it appearing in full a few seconds later when the lag would catch up it would be a jumble of letters For example if I typed quot wow my computer is going slow right now quot it would come out quot wom mpui gin sright n quot That s a new type of lag for me as my PC has never had issues I assumed this was due to the death of the drive and Windows having problems recognizing it or reading it Sure enough when I disconnected it everything ran smoothly I have an iOmega TB external drive LDHD-UP - don t judge it was on sale that I m not too fond of but I use regularly for storage and backup I usually have it plugged into the back of my PC and this presents a whole other issue which I need another thread for but I ve dealt with it fine and it normally works all right However I found out it s USB compatible and my PC has outlets on the top so I wanted to keep it plugged into there But when I do that I experience that exact same type of lag as before when the internal hard drive was plugged in It s persistent and near-constant but it stops the second I turn off the hard drive I ve disabled antivirus I ve ran disckchecks I ve formatted none of it makes a difference Does anyone know what would be causing this with separate hard drives connected in completely different ways Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:PC laggy and sluggish when connecting additional hard drives

I don't know the answer but will comment about the issue of lag in typing. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse and I know when the batteries need replacing because the keyboard behaves exactly like yours and the mouse stops moving the cursor properly. Maybe your issue's connected with the power being drawn when you have the two drives connected. Don't rush out and upgrade your psu though. I only switch on my usb external hard drive for the occasions I need it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-laggy-and-sluggish-when-connecting-additional-hard-drives.207975/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hello It may seem like a simple problem but I know nothing of the subject and I ve had the problem for ages Whenever I copy large files Movie size think MB the copy progresses very remaining" drives "5 sec Copying to/from stuck before for flash on 30 finishing seconds fast MB s until it reaches about where it gets stuck for about seconds to a minute and it says quot Time remaining seconds quot during all that time I have this problem with any flash drive in any USB port amp It also happens when copying to network drives and external harddrives which leads me to think it s a software windows issue Some vital information Copying to/from flash drives stuck on "5 seconds remaining" for 30 sec before finishing The flash drive I mainly use is USB quite new and easily capable of MB s writing speeds It reaches about - MB s during the copy until the final point where it still says MB s but does nothing for seconds USB port is also and I ve also tried every single other port in my computer None are broken and none ever show any signs of being slow The flash drive is NTFS formatted but it used to be FAT I ran checkdisk to see if there was anything wrong but there wasn t It s NTFS since I occasionally need files gt GB I tried using TeraCopy to bypass the issue but this way doesn t reach speeds of over MB s which takes even longer in the end It does fix the hanging at issue I tried converting the drive back to FAT which removes the issue of it hanging at but again the speed doesn t go above MB s which means it takes longer in the end making it not worth it What bothers me is that the files transfer at the maximum speed right until the very end where it just magically gets stuck for seconds or more before finishing like nothing happened Please advise P S I shamefully have to admit I never safely remove my hardware nbsp

A:Copying to/from flash drives stuck on "5 seconds remaining" for 30 sec before finishing

Marty9231 said:

Hello!

It may seem like a simple problem, but I know nothing of the subject and I've had the problem for ages.

Whenever I copy large files (Movie size, think 700MB+), the copy progresses very fast (~100MB/s) until it reaches about 99% where it gets stuck for about 30 seconds to a minute, and it says "Time remaining: 5 seconds" during all that time.

I have this problem with any flash drive, in any USB port (2 & 3). It also happens when copying to network drives and external harddrives, which leads me to think it's a software/windows issue.

Some vital information:

The flash drive I mainly use is USB 3.0, quite new and easily capable of ~150MB/s writing speeds. It reaches about 120-130 MB/s during the copy until the final point where it still says 130 MB/s but does nothing for 30 seconds.

USB port is also 3.0, and I've also tried every single other port in my computer. None are broken, and none ever show any signs of being slow.

The flash drive is NTFS formatted, but it used to be FAT32. I ran checkdisk to see if there was anything wrong, but there wasn't. It's NTFS since I occasionally need files >4GB.

I tried using TeraCopy to bypass the issue, but this way doesn't reach speeds of over 20MB/s which takes even longer in the end. It does fix the 'hanging at 99% issue'.

I tried converting the drive back to FAT32, which removes the issue of it hanging at 99%, but again the speed doesn't go above 20MB/s which means it takes longer in the end, making it not worth it.

What bothers me is that the files transfer at the maximum speed right until the very end, where it just magically gets stuck for 30 seconds or more, before finishing like nothing happened.

Please advise!!

P.S.: I shamefully have to admit I never safely remove my hardware. Click to expand...

Although I've had the same happen on my downloads, this "P.S.: I shamefully have to admit I never safely remove my hardware." could be part of the problem, good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/copying-to-from-flash-drives-stuck-on-5-seconds-remaining-for-30-sec-before-finishing.207001/
Relevancy 24.08%

My 320 GB Seagate external hard drive is detected but not showing up in my computer. What should I do?

In cmd> diskpart> list volume it does not show up. (screenshot attached)

In Device Manager it gets detected. (screenshot attached)

In disk management it shows up as 'unallocated'. If I initialize it, will I lose all data on the drive? It had 4 partitions. (screenshot attached)

In My Computer also it does not show up. (screenshot attached)
Even BIOS recognizes it.

What to do? I don't want to lose any data on the drive. If I initialize it in device manager will I lose data?

I was installing window XP on my computer, usually I remove the external drive but this time I did not. The external drive was shown as 4 drives in partition manager during installation. But the installation failed. The next time I was installing windows again, the external drive was shown as 1 single unknown or unrecognized drive. I'm not sure if it was unknown or unrecognized. I'm sure I didn't format it. So what I need to do now? I don't want to lose any data.

A:Seagate external hard drive not showing up in my computer. It is detected.

Yes, if you initialize it you will 'lose' everything. You will want to try something like [email protected] Recovery or maybe Easeus Partition Recovery.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-in-my-computer-it-is-detected.205926/
Relevancy 48.16%

I have 2 new external hard discs do show on my computer .They are running but not showing in PC.What to do ? Thank you

A:External hard drives not showing up

Hello,

I'm not completely certain that I understood your situation. I wonder if it's possible to clarify the question? Otherwise Disk Management is a good place to start looking for a missing HDD.
If the HDD is brand new you might need to initialize it. This is needed if below the disk it says ?Not Initialized?. Right-click on the Disk that says ?Not Initialized? and click ?Initialize Disk?. Then you will have the option to choose between MBR and GPT. If the drive is more than 2 TB you should use GPT, if not you could use MBR as well. Once the Disk is listed as Basic and online right click the unallocated space and click create a ?New Simple Volume?. For the file system choose ?NTFS? if you want to use the HDD on Windows.

Hope that helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drives-not-showing-up.205942/
Relevancy 23.65%

Sorry I must not have sent the last post correctly I am new to this site So I will try again I was getting ready to upgrade to bigger hard drive or drives Before doing that I needed to take the old hard drives out to obtain some information off the labels I did so and while they where out I cleaned the Mounting slots a little better than using just No drives to SATA Power hard air Having done that I re-installed them both When I turned on the power button the button lit up and the fans were running But No Power to SATA hard drives it No Power to SATA hard drives does not seem that the hard drives are getting any power as I can t hear or feel any thing Plus the computer is not booting No Power to SATA hard drives I don t recall unplugging anything other than the two hard drives But I also notice that I have a short cable bundle with two white plugs with three pins and one empty pin hole on the other end a black connection with with five connector slots with one middle on blank That makes me think that I unplugged the power to the hard drive someplace along the ling As I have a wire bundle that has two SATA power connectors that are plugged in But their are three white female plugs marked P P and P which are not connected to anything in that wire bundle I don t know at this point if the power comes through that bundle from the power source Of if I do not have the power plugged into the lope I hope that somebody can help me figure this out and let me know if I burnt out the hard drives and have to start over with my recover disk reloading windows and going from there nbsp

A:No Power to SATA hard drives

How would I close this post out. Dumb me had the monitor plugged into an unused VGA port. It only took me two and a half days to figure that out. I wanted to let others know to check and see if they have everything plugged in where it should be. Including the VGA or other monitor cables.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-power-to-sata-hard-drives.204843/
Relevancy 23.22%

I have a sony SD Card 16gb class 4 card. I did use the card for almost 3 months, when I tried to use it now, I am not able to access the card,

I tried recovery softwares like recova etc to recover the file, but I was not able to recover even a single byte.

I have many importants files in the CARD, PLEASE HELP ME...,.

Thanks

A:Data recovery SD Card not accessible, says incorrect function showing unknown format

I think >>this thread<< could help you out . He seems to have the same problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-recovery-sd-card-not-accessible-says-incorrect-function-showing-unknown-format.201611/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi I have bought a laptop for my daughter its harddrive is 750gb but when I found it it is two hard drives.one initialled OS and the other data how is this supposed to work.regards Martin

A:Two hard drives

I know some manufactures have different ways they produce their setups, but most of the time its a partition and not another hard drive. What it does is store the System Backup / Restore on one partition so that you can reset the laptop to factory settings and the main "hard drive" (usually C prompt) is the partition you use on a daily basis. Unless you physically looked inside the laptop and saw 2 different hard drives, it should be just one hard drive that is split partitions. What is the make and model of this laptop? We can determine what setup you have with that information.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/two-hard-drives.204210/
Relevancy 24.08%

The Seagate Momentus 5400.6 hard drive I'm using is from my old laptop it has 4 disks.
After I put it in the (IT-CEO IT-700) enclosure, and connect it to my new laptop it does not show up in 'My Cumputer' and 'Disk Management', but displays in the 'device and printer' section of control pannel.
I also can't eject the hard drive, even when I'm not doing anything to it, the (IT-CEO IT-700) enclusre's blue signal light just keeps flashing for a while then goes off for a sec, then resume flashing again.
My laptop also keeps trying to install the hard drive.

I tried reinstall the hard drive's driver, but that did not solve the problem.

Please Help.

A:External Hard drive not showing up in 'My Computer', and 'Disk Management'

Have you tried using different drive enclosure other than the IT-CEO IT-700?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-in-my-computer-and-disk-management.201875/
Relevancy 23.65%

Asus p8p670-m will see the dvd drives but not the sata or ide I have tried 8 different drives. 3 sata one at a time in different slots and 5 ide drives one at a time.. I have reset cmos then removed the battery and reset cmos again,, what is the fix please

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asus-p8p670-m-will-see-the-dvd-drives-but-not-the-sata.203645/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi everyone. I have a SATA drive that has an OS on it (Vista), where I have forgotten the password. I have tried every recommended utility/trick, to no avail. So, I have installed a new SATA drive which has XP on it, and I want to be able to pull the info off of the old drive by connecting it to my cable, but not making it my master. The XP drive, which works perfectly fine, is the primary drive and loads up when the computer is turned on. However, after hooking up the old SATA drive, the OS on the other drive does not detect that it is hooked up (so, I can't pull info off of it and fix it where I can access it). Any recommendations? How can I get it to be detected by my OS as another drive, so that I can use Windows Explorer to access the files on it? I appreciate any help you are able to provide! Thanks in advance!

A:SATA drives ... master and slave?

One of the points in the SATA specification was one drive with one cable. That eliminated the need for master and slave designations. Simple plug and play assuming the port is enabled in the BIOS.

Sounds to me you are confused and actually have IDE drives. Does your data cable have two data connectors?

Anyway when working with two IDE drives on the same cable, the only way to connect a slave is to manually assign them both as the master or slave. That is unless you are using a "Cable Select" cable. Cable select is market on the connectors which one is which. Otherwise it doesn't matter which drive goes where. And jumpers on the drives will need to be set to assign which one is master and which one is slave.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-drives-master-and-slave.203475/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hello all,
My friend's Windows 7 x64 ultimate machine recognizes some USB flash drives but not some other ones. The types of all are USB2 and also all drivers are installed (device manager). I don't know what is the problem. Is there any idea please?

A:My machine doesn't recognize some USB flash drives

USB Device Not Recognized? A Quick Fix For Windows XP/7/8

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-machine-doesnt-recognize-some-usb-flash-drives.202702/
Relevancy 23.22%

I recently built this computer see other a thread on building a PC using Windows on a ssd drive and I used my sata drives for storage audio video The other drives folders using Can't 7 storage create Windows on drives are from my old system and they were set up for RAID I re-formatted the drives but now they automatically create a system info folder and a recycle bin folder I don t know why but Can't create folders on storage drives using Windows 7 I can t create a folder on these drives They are patitioned NTFS Does this have something to do with the RAID configuration from my old system I need to create folders to manage my projects but it will not allow it Also I installed Norton on the system I am using the internet for downloading programs I need once everything is going smooth I will no longer access the web with this PC The Norton has an error on it and when I try to fix it it gets stuck on trying to optimize the storage disk E My SSD is drive C with a partition D for B U the next drive is E Does anyone know what I am doing wrong Thanks to anyone who can speak to this problem nbsp

A:Can't create folders on storage drives using Windows 7

Which RAID Configuration are you in? I think you may have have it set up incorrectly. Depending on what RAID you are using will depend on how your drives can be used. Let us know what RAID you are running which you should be able to find this in your RAID control panel when you boot into it. Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-create-folders-on-storage-drives-using-windows-7.200888/
Relevancy 24.51%

HELP!!!

I have a 500gb external hard drive which, up until a few days ago, was working absolutely fine.

When I would plug it in to my laptop the device was found under 'my computer'.but would not open. Instead when I tried to open it my computer froze and the 'not responding' message was shown, resulting in a forced close of my computer. Now when I attach the hard drive and open 'my computer' the hard drive does not show at all, but 'my computer' still shows the message 'not responding', resulting in a forced close.

I've been on to a couple of forums already and tried the route of right clicking 'my computer', 'manage' and 'disk management'; but the hard drive does not appear there.

I'm at a total loss what to do and would massively appreciate your help as I have backed up company data on to this hard drive.

Thank you in advance!

A:External hard drive not showing in My Computer

Hey pcrquals. I would try the drive in another pc to narrow down where the problem is, a problem with the drive itself, or a problem with the pc recognizing the drive, which might be a problem with the USB port(s) or with the USB drivers. Does another USB device like a flashdrive work when plugged into the same port?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-showing-in-my-computer.191206/
Relevancy 23.65%

So I installed a second Hard drive this weekend. And I want to create a new partition on the new hard drive, which will hold my boot files. So I want a partition of my second hard drive to be my main boot device. (Like 20gb)

Then I?m going to combine my first hard drive, and the remaining space left into 1 partition.

My Local disk has my Boot, Page file, and Crash dump. I want to move this to my new partition. (Second HD)

I tried moving the entire windows file in my local disk to the second hard drive, half way through it wouldn?t allow me to move all of the files.

How do I do this without re-installing windows?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-boot-drives.200248/
Relevancy 24.51%

My graphic card showing error on Pc starting
When I start the computer it restarting with this error vt-x1550pci256

this error showing on top left on screen what I do Now ?

if u want more information let me know.
ps : sorry for my bad english

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ati-radeon-x1550-error-showing.199875/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi , since I reinstalled windows 7, am not seeing the wifi icon anymore , all I see is the ethernet icon with a red cross , even though am connected to a wifi, here is a screenshot http://prntscr.com/2fpmcu , I've tried a lot of tips ,posted in alot of forums , but none helped , I have the network icon enabled on the Notification Area Icons , but still doesnt work, I hope u'll give me a solution here , am already tired of this thing , annoying .
Thanks in advance

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-icon-not-showing.199011/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi guys im not sure what the problem here or if this is supposed to happen I have the latest AMd drivers for my video card I have checked direct x version and every thing and im not sure where to go now google hasnt helped much I was wondering if you guys knew what a solution could be here is my specs Operating System Windows Home Premium -bit Build Service Pack win sp gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard System Model HP Pavilion dv Notebook PC BIOS InsydeH O Version CCB F Processor AMD A - M APU with Radeon tm HD Graphics CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Available OS Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX the main problem is as you can see in the pic below is everything is n a and there are no driver details either Could this cuase slight graphics problems when playing games and such nbsp

A:Dual graphics card showing up as N/a DXdiag

firz3h said:

Hi guys im not sure what the problem here or if this is supposed to happen. I have the latest AMd drivers for my video card I have checked direct x version and every thing and im not sure where to go now google hasnt helped much. I was wondering if you guys knew what a solution could be.

the main problem is as you can see in the pic below is everything is n/a and there are no driver details either. Could this cuase slight graphics problems when playing games and such?

View attachment 77579

also not sure if it installed correctly as it shows up like this in device manager

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-graphics-card-showing-up-as-n-a-dxdiag.198839/
Relevancy 23.65%

I bought an Asus H87M-E. I can't install 3 X 3TB hard drive Raid 5 on this board. It is a new board, I can't find Bois update. I created the Raid5. the O/S displays the drives with different sizes 2048, 745, 1875GB. I have no idea what is happening! Tech support said it is windows problem, But I don't buy that. I broke the raid and try to install the O/S on a single drives, but the O/S recognize it as 745GB.

A:Windows 7 - Installing 3TB Drives

Windows normally accept only 2 terabyte in re installing the windows you should make a partition for your new 3TB hdd.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-installing-3tb-drives.198158/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hello I have an active post in quot other hardware quot Here is my situation Hello all I am new here and so this is my first thread I have peiced computers together in the past but I am by no means a pro or even a talented enthusiest What I am trying to do now is more of an upgrade I with drives Problem RAID bought a computer from ADK in It is a video audio computer and ADK did a great job I would highly reccommend them If I wasn t trying to save some money I would go back to them but I am trying to do this as inexpensively as possible meaning I would like to keep as much as I can from this computer to Problem with RAID drives use Here is what I currently have Antec Titon case with Thermalake w Intel board DP DP PCIe IDE xSATA Glan xUSB xTI Problem with RAID drives firewire Intel Quad Core Q GHz FSB MB Cache Coolmaster Mars - RR-CCX-W U -GP fan Vantec mm Stealth fans - very quiet SuperTalent DDR PC CL pin RAM GBx HD Seagate GB ATA rpm Raid zero array Seagate x Seagate GB x Video XFX nVidia GeForce GTS MB PCIe MHz DVI HDCP PCIe PIONEER DVR B Dual Layer DVD-RW drive Windows XP Pro bit Monitors I want to replace the MB with a Z MB and the CPU with an i K I will need to upgrade the RAM to DDR Preferably GB I want to change the OS to Windows Pro bit Here are my newb questions Will I need to replace my Video card Can I use the same case and fans Can I use the same HDs and the same RAID Array I know nothing about RAID I was hoping to not have to replace anything more than the MB CPU RAM and OS I do want to replace the DVD for a blu ray burner Can anyone spot something I may be missing Here is my current problem now that I have built the PC s The problem is now the ADK PC doesn t recognize the hard drives It sees the SSD drive I have checked the drives with an external SATA harness BlacX box and the drives are not bad but it tells me I need to format them I have music and video I don t can t loose I am afraid to set the bios to disable RAID for fear of loosing files I don t know which drives are RAID I just loaded the drives into the goof-off PC and moved the data from one drive to the other although some files would not move This probably means it is a raid drive and these files are saved across multiple drives Am I right in assuming that these drives are not recognized because of the RAID setup I am trying to save what I can but does this mean I need to re-format these drives Thanks for all the help What do you guys think I don t really understand RAID Does anyone have experience with undoing a raid configuration Thanks Terry nbsp

A:Problem with RAID drives

This article may help: http://www.pcworld.com/article/258960/how_to_undo_raid_best_practices.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-raid-drives.192361/
Relevancy 23.22%

lt lt RESOLVED gt gt For some reason whenever I try to run the file benchmark on my WD Blue TB or WD Black TB on HDTune Pro it always immediately returns a screen saying quot I O Error Test aborted quot Normally I would understand if this was happening if these drives were HDTune on gives drives I/O very test and new aborts Error old or had any indication that they are dying in some way However both drives have been purchased within the last months and the Blue drive was purchased only four HDTune gives I/O Error and aborts test on very new drives months ago They are each filled to approximately - capacity at the moment with this being the highest capacity the Blue has ever reached while the Black drive at one point hit before I reshuffled some files I haven t noticed any other issues with the drives at all except that HDTune s regular benchmark seems to say that the Blue drive is slightly faster than the Black which clearly shouldn t be the case HDTune s own drive status program shows no SMART issues in any of my drives either Does anyone know what could be causing this or how I could fix it Also I m not sure if this is relevant but my motherboard is currently set to run its SATA ports in quot RAID Mode quot instead of AHCI mode I HDTune gives I/O Error and aborts test on very new drives m not sure if that would matter but I don t currently have a RAID array this setting is just from a previous array that I used to have and now I m afraid that if I change the setting my drives might not boot anymore nbsp

A:HDTune gives I/O Error and aborts test on very new drives

Never mind, I figured it out. Problem was being caused by my drives being assigned as the A: drive and B: drive (Windows 8 allows this, and my slight OCD has always tormented me at not being able to use them for hard drives previous to this, so naturally I jumped on the opportunity to assign those letters). Anyway I reassigned to J: and K: drives just for the purpose of testing and all is now well!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdtune-gives-i-o-error-and-aborts-test-on-very-new-drives.196324/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi,

I have several Dell desktops (745, 755, GX260, T5500, Etc) all Win7 and Server 2008, that have factory hard drives; I want to make them removable drives. In the past

I have special ordered desktops with T-7 units from Dell.

Now, I need to make about 20 desktops removable drive desktops, any ideas, Dell says I can't really add a Dell sponsored caddy / cage.

My other issue is I have to add whole disk encryption to it, TrueCrypt is perfect.

I also have to add USB tape backup unit. Q: does anyone have an USB portable tape backup unit and encrypting the hard drive and tape?

Thanks

Mn19~

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-dell-desktops-to-removable-drives.195340/
Relevancy 23.65%

I have two 1.5TB WD ?My Book Essential? hard drives. My computer seems to think they are the same drive and won?t read them at the same time. I get no errors when they are both plugged in, the second one just won?t read.

They are both present in device manager but not in Disk Management...

I have tried assigning unique (unused) drive letters, but the computer still thinks it is the same drive (I.e. I plug one in, assign it ?X? and then unplug it. I plug the second one in, it shows up as ?X? so I assign it ?Q.? I unplug it, plug the first one in again and it shows up as ?Q?.)

Does any of that make sense? Am I going insane? Am I missing something really simple?

Can anyone help?

Thank you!!!

A:Two dueling hard drives?

Google for
my book essential hard drive not working​others seem to have issues too

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/two-dueling-hard-drives.194708/
Relevancy 23.22%

I have a Dell Dimension 5100 Desktop computer that the power supply recently went on so I replaced it and now the computer is not recognizing the CD/DVD drives?

When I first installed it and powered the computer on it said I had a Floppy Diskette Seek Failure . I don't have any floppy drives installed so I disabled it through the BIOS and now I noticed the drives aren't working . I have two drives installed one to play dvds and burn cds and the other is a dvd burner . Both of the drives power up and you can hear the disk spinning but nothing happens and the computer doest show I have them?

A:Installed New Power Supply / CD Drives not recognized

The old PSU may have taken out the motherboard when it fried - fairly common, especially with the cheap O.E.M. units used by Dell. Also, some Dell boards are proprietary, which means the connectors may not be standard ATX - Check the pinout on the 24 pin ATX connector to make sure it matches on both PSUs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installed-new-power-supply-cd-drives-not-recognized.193915/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi thanks or looking a my post,

As it is I have 1 hard drive backing up all staff file that are located on a share PC, I have now been asked to setup a system where I have two hard drive backing up the same information and that they are switched weekly.

When one hard drive is in the building backing up the other hard drive is off site in a safe place, but I am unsure how to set this up using windows 7 backup.

I do not need to backup the system image as they has all ready been done just the staff files.

Thanks for any help

Sean

A:Backing up files on 2 different hard drives (windows 7 backup)

Good planning for disaster planning reasons (btw: that's called media rotation).

To automate backups alternating between two target drives -- don't think that's possible and you will need a manual procedure to identify the 'other drive'.

Hopefully the "files that are located on a share PC" are limited to a Shared Folder making the source location easy. Using the backup technique of an Incremental Backup will reduce the size and time of the data being copied.

CAUTION: do not encrypt the backup volume(s), nor even compress them.
If you need them after a disaster, they will need to be usable on ANY available PC and encryption/compression can be subject to software incompatibilities - - right when you don't need that kind of help!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/backing-up-files-on-2-different-hard-drives-windows-7-backup.193199/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello First time posting here I apologize if this is not in the correct forum Anyway I have been having some showing device Dxdiag not display trouble with my graphics card drivers I experienced some graphical glitches followed by a blue screen of death a few days ago and since then my graphics card has not been working I have groups of vertical lines running down my screen My dxdiag does not show anything for display device I am using Dxdiag not showing display device an NVIDIA GeForce GTS and when I open the device manager it gives me error code for display adapters Additionally when I try to open the NVIDIA control Dxdiag not showing display device panel it says I am not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU I have reinstalled the drivers several times using both the express and custom clean install I have run driver sweeper in safe mode Nothing I have done has had any effect Please help At this point I am assuming I need a new graphics card but am hoping there might be another issue Here is my dxdiag ------------------ System Information ------------------ Time of this report Machine name DAN-PC Operating System Windows Ultimate -bit Build Service Pack win sp gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer System manufacturer System Model System Product Name BIOS BIOS Date Ver Processor Intel R Core TM CPU GHz CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Available OS Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX DX Setup Parameters Not found User DPI Setting Using System DPI System DPI Setting DPI percent DWM DPI Scaling Disabled DxDiag Version bit Unicode ------------ DxDiag Notes ------------ Display Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Input Tab No problems found -------------------- DirectX Debug Levels -------------------- Direct D retail DirectDraw retail DirectInput retail DirectMusic retail DirectPlay retail DirectSound retail DirectShow retail --------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name Manufacturer Chip type DAC type Device Key Enum Display Memory n a Dedicated Memory n a Shared Memory n a Current Mode x bit Hz Driver Name Driver File Version Driver Version DDI Version unknown Driver Model unknown Driver Attributes Final Retail Driver Date Size bytes WHQL Logo d n a WHQL Date Stamp n a Device Identifier D B EE - - CF-B -B DAEC CB Vendor ID x Device ID x SubSys ID x Revision ID x Driver Strong Name Unknown Rank Of Driver Unknown Video Accel Deinterlace Caps n a D D Overlay n a DXVA-HD n a DDraw Status Not Available D D Status Not Available AGP Status Not Available ------------- Sound Devices ------------- Description Speakers High Definition Audio Device Default Sound Playback Yes Default Voice Playback Yes Hardware ID HDAUDIO FUNC amp VEN EC amp DEV amp SUBSYS B amp REV Manufacturer ID Product ID Type WDM Driver Name HdAudio sys Driver Version English Driver Attributes Final Retail WHQL Logo d Yes Date and Size bytes Other Files Driver Provider Microsoft HW Accel Level Basic Cap Flags xF F Min Max Sample Rate Static Strm HW Mix Bufs Static Strm HW D Bufs HW Memory Voice Management No EAX tm Listen Src No No I DL tm Listen Src No No Sensaura tm ZoomFX tm No Description Digital Audio S PDIF High Definition Audio Device Default Sound Playback No Default Voice Playback No Hardware ID HDAUDIO FUNC amp VEN EC amp DEV amp SUBSYS B amp REV Manufacturer ID Product ID Type WDM Driver Name HdAudio sys Driver Version English Driver Attributes Final Retail WHQL Logo d Yes Date and Size bytes Other Files Driver Provider Microsoft HW Accel Level Basic Cap Flags xF F Min Max Sample Rate Static Strm HW Mix Bufs Static Strm HW D Bufs HW Memory Voice Management No EAX tm Listen Src No No I DL tm Listen Src No No Sensaura tm ZoomFX tm No Description Digital Audio S PDIF High Definition Audio Device Default Sound Playback No Default Voice Playback No Hardware ID HDAUDIO FUNC amp VEN EC amp DEV am... Read more

A:Dxdiag not showing display device

Are you sure your DVI, display port, HDMI, etc is connected to the graphics card not to the onboard graphics? Try reseating the card on another PCIe x16 slot. Make sure the display connections are connected to the GPU not the onboard graphics. Do the clean install to the latest stable drivers (314). Driver sweeper should have cured any software issues. If the reseating, checking the connectors, etc doesnt work, it is most likely an issue with the card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dxdiag-not-showing-display-device.192194/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have a Dell Optiplex in same Two drives location L with XP OS Two drives in same location and a GB PATA hard drive I have purchased a WD TB SATA hard drive and connected it to the SATA port on the motherboard When I look at the BIOS the SATA drive appears and the Primary Master PATA also appears My OS is on the PATA drive and I boot Windows there as the SATA has nothing on it yet I can run Plug Two drives in same location n Play and it will find the SATA drive I look in the Device Manager and it shows the SATA drive however when I look at the properties for each drive it reveals they have the same location and both are working properly When I look at quot My Computer quot only the C is showing and when I click on Properties and then Hardware both HDs appear When I go to Disk Management again only the C drive appears for HDs and it reports quot Healthy quot Again clicking on the Properties shows both drives I have rebooted uninstalled the new HD changed the drive letter for the CD all of these things have yet to resolve the problem I do not see any place to import the drive onto Disk Management nor is there any way to format the disk and put the OS on it since it does not show up anywhere I think I need to be able to change the location of the drive from but cannot find a way to do that nbsp

A:Two drives in same location

The new drive needs to be initialized and formatted. See if you can download a drive install program from the new drives support website

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/two-drives-in-same-location.191117/
Relevancy 24.94%

Purchased a Seagate TB SATA- rpm MB however when I hook it up to my existing system it shows as MB in explorer but GB in BIOS Called Seagate tech he gave me an intel link to update my MOBO however as it isnt over GB the update is no help - he asked did I use the seatools programme and I had already run a quick scan whcih it passed Ive tried to format the drive to seatools it took hours and didnt change anything tried it in a new build im doing but wont allow me to install windows and stops at the initial loading windows files dos screen at the beginning again BIOS shows full capacity Mobo on running machine is ASUS M a GTD Pro -AM and New build has a ASRock GX extreme Seagate guy asked me to run full hour scan on the drive this evening using seatools and see what outcome is Anybody out there experianced similar problems nbsp

A:Seagate HDD 2TB showing as 38MB

What version of Windows are you running?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-hdd-2tb-showing-as-38mb.191379/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hey,
I am using a USB keyboard and it is showing weird bahaviour It stops working all of a sudden and then to make it work I have to unplug it and then plug again,but the problem resurfaces...
please help...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/keyboard-showing-weird-behaviour.191090/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have a previously functional hard drive that is no longer recognized by the BIOS Other drives are working fine Just not this one It has no scary not up drive in showing Hard BIOS clicking or grinding noises It sounds lovely in fact Normal health read and spinning sounds It even has the gyroscope Hard drive not showing up in BIOS feel if I pick it up Stuff I have tried unsuccessfully Restart the computer Restart the computer again just in case Swap out cabling Use an external power source Use a SATA-to-USB adapter Use a different motherboard Hard drive not showing up in BIOS with a different BIOS and a different power supply Use a different motherboard with the USB adapter Swap out the controller board for a new one--same model and revision but stole the flash memory chip off the old board so it had its calibration information right I m thinking that the platters and read head and all are good I seem to have ruled out the controller board as the culprit Anybody have any ideas what might be the issue nbsp

A:Hard drive not showing up in BIOS

You've pulled out all the stops. If the BIOS doesn't see the drive, there's not really anything more you can do. Drive has failed somehow. Send back to mfg. if still under warranty. Hope this helps!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-not-showing-up-in-bios.180980/
Relevancy 24.94%

At the weekend I installed an Asus P5W DH Deluxe after memory problems with P5Q Deluxe. I installed my 4Gb of Corsair RAM and it was showing 4Gb during POST. However, in the past 24hrs it is displaying 3.2Gb with the remaining 800Mb going towards 'Appropriated Memory'.

Why has this suddenly happened? I've never seen it happen on my other P5W DH mobo or the P5Q Deluxe.

Tom.

A:My RAM was showing 4GB in POST, now it shows 3.2GB?

Are you installing a 32-bit operating system?

A 32-bit operating system will not allow full use of your 4GB memory. If you want to use more than 3.2GB (give or take a few hundred MB), you will need a 64-bit operating system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-ram-was-showing-4gb-in-post-now-it-shows-3-2gb.190211/
Relevancy 23.65%

Can you share how to take care of hard drives? does constant reformatting causes the hard drive to be defective?

A:How to take care of hard drives?

Define what you mean by "constant reformatting"?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-take-care-of-hard-drives.190158/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi Fellows I have TOSHIBA GB HDD I made it external delayed showing External to 0MD size failed due errors write HDD HDD through a drive case and using it since few months for storing the data it has partitions Now External HDD showing 0MD size due to delayed write failed errors I have a problem with it A week before the drive started giving following errors when I was plugging it in to the system There might be a problem with some files on this device or disc this can happen if you remove the device or disc before all files have been written to it Delayed Write Failed I O Device Error Initially it was only reading two partitions after - days it only showed one partition not all data then now it is showing partition with zero data with zero mb total disk space It is asking to format each partition I am trying to open I tried to access the HDD from multiple systems XP VISTA SEVEN but same MB size showing up now every time How can I get the external HDD back to normal state without losing the data already there please help Thanks nbsp

A:External HDD showing 0MD size due to delayed write failed errors

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors
Check the drives for errors as instructed in the link above^. This may take a few hours depending on the size of the drive. If this fails then we will resort to other options. After doing some research, it seems as if this error occurs a lot in XP.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-showing-0md-size-due-to-delayed-write-failed-errors.189965/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hey guys,
I just recently noticed my graphic cards seem to running or at least reporting 1GB vram instead of 3GB. Do you think they are defective? Take a look at these results. It's showing a total of 2GB vram for my cards after running Firestrike.
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/148413

Also, CPU-z is reporting 1GB as well as other benchmarking applications.
I attached a SS of my cpu report. Sorry about how crappy it is.

Anyone know what this could mean? Is it a glitch?

A:Sapphire HD 7950 showing 1GB instead of 3GB?

Have you tried flipping the bios switch on your cards?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sapphire-hd-7950-showing-1gb-instead-of-3gb.189828/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hey guys thats it It s official as I m building my first gaming computer My build is complete and is as follows Case Azza Solano Mobo Asus Sabertooth Z CPU Intel i K to use What way hard best the is drives? SSD/HDD my CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper EVO RAM G x G Corsair Vengeance DDR Mhz Video Card XFX Raedon HD G Sound Card On board sound atm Will eventually What is the best way to use my hard drives? SSD/HDD upgrade as needed Optical Drive Samsung DVD drive Will eventually upgrade as needed What is the best way to use my hard drives? SSD/HDD cant beat PSU OCZ ModXStream Pro Watt OCZ Hard Drive s Not sure What is the best way to use my hard drives? SSD/HDD which as I need some advice Some of my parts have been shipped some of my parts are shipping and some of my parts still need to be purchased Of the parts that still need to be purchased I have yet to conclude my hard drive setup I d like a bit more information on the best way to use my hard drives Once again main use for computer would be gaming I was thinking about x hard drives and thinking of mixing a SSD and HDD into the equation Of what I read about SSD s they are very fast and boot times are less than sec Dont know too much about them So maybe put my OS on my fairly small and inexpensive lets sayyyy g or g SATA SSD along with any other crucial program such as computer security BitDefender is what I had in mind and dedicate my most likely Seagate TB rpm mb cache HDD to all of my games programs downloads documents etc Does this seem like a viable setup What is the best setup for my hard drives Will my games run flawless on a different hard drive than my OS How should I dedicate my hard drives in terms of files Thank you guys so much in advance I m eager to build my first computer and I HOPE this build will be able to play all the latest games on ultra settings Thanks again nbsp

A:What is the best way to use my hard drives? SSD/HDD

I think you have a good plan. Hopefully someone else with more SSD knowledge will be able to make specific drive recommendations.

I can say that I don't think you'll want to install games to your SSD, sure they'll load faster, but in the actual gaming portion you won't notice much if any difference (depending on the game and its HDD access needs). Having said that, if you don't play games much after completing them, and you have a 128GB or bigger SSD I don't see any harm in installing the game to SSD and uninstalling after you are done to recover space.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-is-the-best-way-to-use-my-hard-drives-ssd-hdd.189356/
Relevancy 23.22%

I've copying files from one external hard drive to another and though both are USB 3 the transfer rate is 4MB/s or less. What is up? Both drives have been much faster by themselves.

A:Transfer speed between two external hard drives is 4MB/s :(

What kinda files? Lots of small files don't do well.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/transfer-speed-between-two-external-hard-drives-is-4mb-s.189385/
Relevancy 22.79%

I seem to have Sata hard drives going on me all the time but not the IDE drives and I was thinking is it all possible that it could be the Sata port causing this? Can an Sata port damage a hard drive?

A:SATA motherboard port killing my hard drives?

It's most likely a power supply issue, not SATA ports...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-motherboard-port-killing-my-hard-drives.188064/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi we are working on a computer for a family member Windows has slowed down incredibly won't Toshiba recognized Satellite CD not different two S7802... boot, put drives... ROM in they had multiple viruses and spyware we tried to clean it off for them but decided it would be easier to just do a reinstall We have been googling going to various tech sites etc and cannot figure this out The CD drive was not recognized in Windows and wouldn t work we thought it was just part of their other computer problems Upon rebooting it won t boot from the CD ROM which is a Toshiba brand factory drive We already checked the boot order CD ROM is set first HDD second No network boot enabled So we thought the drive was bad We bought a new drive put it in same issue I find it hard to believe we got two bad drives one after the other Windows of course doesn t Toshiba Satellite S7802... put in two different CD ROM drives... won't boot, not recognized recognize it either Both of the drives act like they can read they flash you hear them running but it doesn t show up and won t allow us to boot into anything not Windows not Linux nothing from the CD ROM It just will not boot from anything but the hard drive and no option to Toshiba Satellite S7802... put in two different CD ROM drives... won't boot, not recognized boot from USB We are at a loss as to what to try next We tried looking for jumpers cables etc but it doesn t have them Any suggestions nbsp

A:Toshiba Satellite S7802... put in two different CD ROM drives... won't boot, not recognized

Dose this laptop or computer have a recovery partition?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-satellite-s7802-put-in-two-different-cd-rom-drives-wont-boot-not-recognized.187772/
Relevancy 23.65%

With the Holidays upon us I found 64 gb jump drives at Best Buy for 27 dollars each.
32 gb jump drives for 12 dollars and 16 gb drives for 6 dollars. I believe my current collection totals about a dozen Jump Drives...how many do you have?

A:Poll: How many USB jump drives ya got?

I have a Verbatim 465 gb flashdrive, 2 Cruzer micro 2gb flashdrives, a memorex 1 gb flashdrive & a couple smaller flashdrives of unknown name I think 640 mb.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/poll-how-many-usb-jump-drives-ya-got.187557/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have a nvidia geforce2 mx/mx 400 128MB VGA card. when I turn on computer today, VGA memory is displayed as 64MB instead of 128MB.

what could be the issue ?

A:Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400 not showing actual memory

I can't say what the issue is but thats an old card and could be experiencing issues from aging.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-geforce2-mx-mx-400-not-showing-actual-memory.187097/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hello.
I am considering installing 2 new harddrives.
1.Agility 3 OCZ Solid State Drive 120gb
2.Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB 7200 rpm

I am currently on a WDC WD3200JD-22KLB0 320gb

Both the new harddrives are sata3,6gb/sec

Can I use both new drives,with no reduction in performance ?
Mainly for online gaming.

A:Installing new drives in HP Compaq dc7600

In a word... Yes, are you going to set the 2 drives in a RAID array?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-new-drives-in-hp-compaq-dc7600.186404/
Relevancy 24.51%

I use DVD-R for almost a month only thing on it is pictures and word doc so nothing can go to wrong I do back ups I would say almost times a week I have use this DVD-R for almost a month and every thing is working okay Now gone showing burning wrong DVD disc nothing now on the sessions some thing gone wrong When I click start computer DVD drive it shows no DVD burning gone wrong now disc showing nothing files nothing It like the files got DVD burning gone wrong now disc showing nothing deleted or it cannot see the files When I right click on the drive and click on properties it shows MB used and that is about right I don t know what to do it like the files got deleted or it cannot see the files But the properties it shows MB used that about right I was using windows vista built in burning software This all stop working after I copy an paste folder to other folder on the disc I than tried Nero the basic burning software and when in Nero burning software I click on analyze disc it shows sessions and MB used and that is about right I than tried to make copy of bad disc When I click copy disc it copies it and than tells me to put in new disc and copies to it but it is still not showing up when I click on start computer DVD drive So it seems it still there but for some reason it cannot see it nbsp

A:DVD burning gone wrong now disc showing nothing

Burning multiple sessions to a DVD-R disk is most likely the problem. (Ideally, you should be using an external hard drive to backup) You should use DVD-RW, rewritable, disks and just burn everything in one session, close the disk; then move onto next DVD-RW, burn everything, close disk. continue this until you are back to the original disk in a rotation, then erase the disk, and continue on.
As for why you cannot see data on the DVD-R disk, it's most likely because of the multiple sessions. On a DVD-R or +R disk you should burn once, and be done with it. You might be able to recover data with a 3rd party program, but since it's optical media my hopes are not high. Be sure to have the "show hidden files & folders" option ticked on so maybe, if the files are hidden on the DVD-R disk you might be able to see them.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I hope this helps you in the future.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-burning-gone-wrong-now-disc-showing-nothing.184420/
Relevancy 24.08%

Have a external hard drive that was backed up on a macbook pro
using time machine. I try to take the files out that I put on a windows 7 PC
and it wont show up in My Computer.
But it does on device manager.
is there a problem with the external hardrive?

A:Seagate FreeAgent external hard drive not showing up on Windows?

It is likely formatted as Mac OS Extended (journaled), HFS+. Windows can't natively read that.

"I try to take the files out that I put on a windows 7 PC" is a confusing statement. If you want to read the files on the drive from 7, you can't without a 3rd party tool. If you are just wanting to put stuff on there from the PC and don't care about the Mac backup, then just format the drive. Do that through Disk Management in the Admin Tools control panel.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-freeagent-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-on-windows.181241/
Relevancy 24.51%

My WD external harddrive will not show up on my macbook pro and I just bought it. I want to format it but as I said it doesn't show up, even when I go to disk utilities. The harddrive does show up on my windows. What to do?

A:WD external hard drive not showing up on Mac

http://support.wdc.com/product/install.asp?wdc_lang=en

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-on-mac.184234/
Relevancy 23.22%

I've been receiving BSODs and after failing to resolve it, I am going to do a clean install, but I want to transfer all my files to an external which I am going to buy later today.

Regarding 1TB hard drives, are they more sensitive than devices that hold less storage space, more fragile? I have been looking at a toshiba brand and WD. Both are 1TB and have 2.0 and 3.0 capability. Despite my research and due to my indecisiveness it is hard to pick between the two. I just don't want a drive to fail on me.

Thinking more about it, would a smaller hard drive be more reliable? I am open to getting a seagate or WD at 250 or 320 gb.

I don't know too much about portable hard drives besides the obvious, so if you could help clear up my confusion, I will greatly appreciate.

Thanks!

A:Questions on portable hard drives (1TB and various brands)

There really is no difference in hard drive brands so I wouldn't get too hung up on which brand to buy. I don't think there is any benefit to getting a smaller drive now over a 1TB. 1TB drives have been out for a long time now, the only time you want to be a bit cautious on buying a big drive is if its the biggest that company offers at that point in time.

For example, a few years back someone (I forget who right now) made a 1.5TB drive and it released with bad firmware causing very early failures - that got 'fixed' with a firmware update, but drives still had an abnormally high failure rate so I think there was something really wrong with those drives initially. Later releases of the same drive were fine. So, don't buy the biggest you can find and things will be fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/questions-on-portable-hard-drives-1tb-and-various-brands.183576/
Relevancy 23.65%

upgraded to an
Gigabyte (GA-EP43-S3L) motherboard & Intel Core Duo 2.8 GHz​
can boot to bios but wont recognise sata drives sata 500gb hitachi or sata cd drive. when removeing battery and useing jumper, then bios recognise both but soon as u save and it reboots the`re missing. be gratefull for any ideas.

A:Unrecognized SATA drives

Hi, pete76. Well, I'm sure you've already done this, but I'll say it anyway, just in case. The first thing I'd do is check the cables and connectors on both ends, the connections to the PSU. I'd double check to make sure that the primary drive -- when detected (before saving, as you described) -- is in IDE mode, as well.

Is your CMOS battery still running OK? Have you observed any other inconsistencies in the BIOS settings -- lost or incorrect time, perhaps? A failing CMOS battery can produce all kinds of symptoms and errors, including the failure to recognize drives.

But if all of that checks out and the problem persists, I'd strip everything out, leaving only the boot HDD just to make sure there isn't some device messing up the BIOS somehow. It appears you've already cleared your CMOS. So maybe some kind of failure in the SATA ports? Have you checked for blown caps?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unrecognized-sata-drives.181937/
Relevancy 23.65%

my flash drive name shows up when I click on My Computer, but when I click the name of the Flash Drive, the files are not listed. How do I correct this?

A:Listing of files on flash drives

The flash drive in question may or may not have files on it that windows can see. It could be in a strange format, or it could just have hidden files on it. open my computer, go to tools/folder options/view and tick "show hidden files and folders" see if that allows you to see the files that are on the flash drive. If not, perhaps the flash drive is bad, or maybe is just needs reformatted. keep in mind reformatting will wipe any data that is on the flash drive. to do so, open my computer, right click on the flash drive, and choose format. Hope this helps, take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/listing-of-files-on-flash-drives.179709/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi all,

I've got a new machine and am wanting to transfer my two HDDs in RAID config from my old machine in the new one.

OLD PC
Gigabyte P55 UD3R
Samsung HD103SJ 1TB x 2 (RAID)

NEW PC
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H

Is this possible and if so, please can someone advise me on how to swap them.

Thanks,

A:RAID drives into new system?

You can transfer the RAID drives as new ones if you properly configure your BIOS using the motherboard's manual.
But that is not so easy if you have an OS installed on them. But here's an excellent guide.
Good luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-drives-into-new-system.181154/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi I m hoping someone can help as I ve spent many evenings on access cannot allocated Flash not drives being and letter drive this problem and getting nowhere Flash drives not being allocated drive letter and cannot access When attaching a flash drive The autoplay pop up doesn t appear The device does light up initially The device doesn t show up in quot Computer quot The device doesn t show up in Disk Management - just Disk system reserved C and I and CD ROM The device appears in Device Manager under USB controllers as a storage device but I can t access it This happens with all memory sticks and occasionally with ipod etc but sometimes for no apparent reason they work All devices works ok with other computers times out of plugging in a device or turning on the USB attached printer will cause the computer to BSOD usually with IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL X A Devices are never allocated a drive letter The only thing I can think of is that I repartitioned the external hard drive which I attach to back up which may have confused the computer with driver numbers Possibly But this problem doesn t seem to have stemmed from then And I did fiddle with the System Reserved drive as I had back up issues and one of the solutions was Flash drives not being allocated drive letter and cannot access to rename it then I renamed it back again I think Sorry if I m vague on this but I m not at all computer savvy and the kids are Flash drives not being allocated drive letter and cannot access trying to access their homework on the memory sticks I m running Windows Home -bit Avira anti virus and the computer is about months old working ok until a month ago Can t think that we downloaded anything about the same time as the problem started but possible I ve tried to update all drivers that I can think of but the only one that needed doing was the Nvidia GeForce which was outdated All devices etc say they are working properly Anybody got any ideas But keep it simple if poss please Thanks nbsp

A:Flash drives not being allocated drive letter and cannot access

Have you tried Uninstalling the Mass Storage Device that shows up in Device Manager? sometimes reinstalling it can fix issues like this.

Do they work properly after a fresh restart?
Do they stop working after being in standby/sleep?

Other suggestion would be to reinstall Chipset Drivers and USB Drivers if your motherboard has seperate USB Drivers (Generally only for 3.0 boards)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/flash-drives-not-being-allocated-drive-letter-and-cannot-access.179377/
Relevancy 23.65%

I love my thumb-drives I recently added a high-speed GB SanDisk USB Blade to my setup drives to possible plugged flash many it have in? too Is I already have a slow old GB drive that I use just to backup my file archives a GB OCZ Rally that I ve hidden from Windows because I have a full install of Linux on it that I can boot into and another old GB that I ve had for Is it possible to have too many flash drives plugged in? years When I plugged the new Blade into my PC my GB SSD boot drive quot vanished quot from my BIOS When I unplugged the Blade my SSD returned I was sure that meant my new thumb-drive was bad I can plug all drives in AFTER booting and the SSD is detected just fine I just can t have them all plugged in BEFORE booting So I tried an experiment I unplugged ALL of my thumb drives and plugged them back in one at a time starting with the Blade The SSD didn t quot disappear quot until after I plugged in my th thumb-drive Tried different drives in different ports It didn t matter My SSD disappears from my BIOS with all drives plugged in I have two USB expansion ports on the front of my case more USB ports in a hub in a quot bay USB devices plugged into the back of my PC including a -port hub with just one device plugged into it I ve never heard of something like this happening before And USB- is quot technically quot capable of supporting devices So why is my PC barfing on one drive too many Anyone else ever have a problem like this where a USB flash drive quot conflicts quot with a SSD flash drive nbsp

A:Is it possible to have too many flash drives plugged in?

Try changing the drive letter under disk management. 2 drives are probably assigned the same drive letter resulting in neither showing up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-it-possible-to-have-too-many-flash-drives-plugged-in.179530/
Relevancy 25.37%

I SSD not showing have recently installed a Corsair gb SSD drive to one of my SATA ports and its not appearing in windows SSD not showing It appears in device SSD not showing manager SSD not showing and in the bios Does anyoe know whats going wrong Windows installed the drivers OK How can I coopy my c drive in its entirety over to the new SSD withut using paid for software The drive came on its own with software Thanks Specs of my pc are as Operating System MS Windows Home Premium -bit SP CPU AMD Athlon II X CRegor nm TechnologyRAM GB Dual-Channel DDR MHz - - - Motherboard MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO LTD -C MS- CPU Graphics M WA x ATI Radeon HD Series Sapphire PCPartner CHard Drives GB Corsair Force SSD ATA Device IDE C GB Seagate ST AS ATA Device Unknown Interface COptical Drives HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH LS ATA DeviceTSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S B ATA DeviceAudio AMD High Definition Audio DeviceOperating System MS Windows Home Premium -bit SP Installation Date January nbsp

A:SSD not showing

You might have to go to the admin tools and fix it there...
Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management
...then on the left side u see a "System Tools", "Storage" and "Services and Applications"...click on "Storage" -> "Disk Management". Then you should be able to see all your hard drives etc, then if u want to use the hdd just "Format" it and it should show in "my computer"

But then the 2nd question...I'm not sure about that one, I would use the software that came with the hdd and read the manual or then I would take the easy way (that also would make it more fresh) and reinstall Windows completely on the SSD HDD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ssd-not-showing.179216/
Relevancy 24.08%

I ve been trying to fix it for over days now showing stopped External Computer drive My hard in up and I tried lots of things but nothing seems to work so I hope that you can help me System Info If Needed - - Operation System Windows Ultimate SP -Bit - Motherboard Asus Sabertooth P PCI PCI-E x PCI-E x DDR DIMM Audio Gigabit LAN IEEE- - CPU QuadCore Intel Core i - K MHz x - Memory MB DDR - DDR SDRAM - Disk Drive WDC WD EARS- J B GB SATA-II - GPU ATI Radeon HD - USB Ports - USB Ports Problem - My external hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer but it was working fine before Possible Causes - - I think quot And I m NOT Sure quot this happened after I Unplugged it without using quot Safely Remove External hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer Hardware quot I m Totally aware that unplugging it while it s in use could damage it but when I tried to quot Safely Remove It quot it told me quot Windows can t stop your device Because a program is still using it quot and I was in External hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer a hurry so I unplugged it without using quot Safely Remove Hardware quot - Few Days before it stop working it was getting slower and sometimes it hangs External Hard Drive Condition - - it s Samsung S Portable GB - I think I External hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer bought it from about - years ago - It s out of warranty - I m Not using it that much maybe - hours per day and sometimes I don t use it at all for several days weeks - Content all my family pictures amp videos NO backup anywhere else I thought it would be safer here in case any damage happened to my desktop hard drive but i Guess I was wrong - No Physical Damage - When I plug it I hear it spinning and it s light is on - I hear a weird intermittent constant quot Sound quot and it s NOT loud MAYBE It s a quot Clicking quot sound But I m not sure Things I Tried - - I checked All USB Ports and it s all working fine with other devices - It Doesn t show up in quot Disk Management quot So solutions related to quot Disk Management quot Won t work - I Cleaned up and removed old USB storage drivers and replugged it but it didn t work - I connected it to another PC it didn t work there too - I tried Different quot USB Cable quot - I was always checking it with quot BitDefender Total Security quot For Viruses or any kind of infections and it was clean - I tried to check it for errors but as it s not recognized I can t check it - I was Defragmenting it with quot DisKeeper quot from time to time - I tried to use quot Ultimate Boot CD UBCD v quot to recover the data and i used this Guide quot How to Create an Image of a Crashed Hard Drive using the UBCD dd-rescue and P eXplorer quot and when I reached to quot Step - Identifying your Hard Drive quot I couldn t Identify it and I couldn t know it quot Path quot because it wasn t showing up in quot Mount Devices quot window because as I said It s not recognized So What I m Asking For Is - - Is there a way to fix my External Hard Drive and make it work again If Not - Is there a way to make it recognizable so i can recover the data using quot DD-Rescue quot If Not - Is there any other way to recover the data from my External Hard Drive and - I tried to open my External Hard Drive quot case quot but I couldn t and I was afraid to go any farther So i Don t damage it So is there any safe way to open it Thanks nbsp

A:External hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer

"I hear a weird intermittent constant "Sound" and it's NOT loud, MAYBE It's a "Clicking" sound, But I'm not sure."

Maybe a soft click or a sliding sound? The drive should normally do nothing more than hum.

"I connected it to another PC, it didn't work there too."

Dang it didn't past the test here either. When things go wrong in my computers I often try them in another machine. If it works in the second machine then I know it's still working. If it doesn't work in the second machine then I usually consider the device dead. I'd try a third machine if you have that resource.

If the data are that important I'd consult a data recovery specialist.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-stopped-showing-up-in-my-computer.178952/
Relevancy 23.65%

hello!

I was wondering if there is any software tools around that can tell if a hard drive is spinning at 7200rpm? or way to test for performance?

the reason i'm asking, given the price of new hard drives now a days, I am looking to upgrade my gaming system and would like to hold off buying a new hard drive. mine is a SATA Seagate 500gig and is working great but it's about 5 years old.

the age kinda worries me but it still works great, did you think I should delay getting a new one for a while?

A:Couple questions about hard drives

I would hold off for now, if your current hard disk is working fine, and offers enough storage there is no need to upgrade it.

There are many factors that dictate the overall lifespan of a hard disk, but essentially is boils down them either dying quickly or lasting years. Among my many hard disks I do have one Western Digital hard disk that is now older than your current disk. It is perfectly healthy, and I imagine it will last a few more years yet.

Performance might downgrade ever so slightly over time due to general wear and tear, but if its working, I'd just carry on using it until prices come down. I doubt we'll see them back to previous lows until at least the fourth quarter this year, or possibly the first quarter of 2013.

On another note, it is important to keep regular backups of important files and data though, as hard disks have been known to fail giving very little warning, or in some cases no warning at all. The age of your hard disk has nothing to do with keeping backups though, that is something everybody should do to safeguard important data.

So keep regular backups, and continue to use it as you do now, and once prices are back to normal upgrade it for something newer, should you need the extra capacity.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/couple-questions-about-hard-drives.177535/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hey guys first post here anyway i have a laptop with storage spaces in it a C drive which has my OS and drives hard Switch primary core files on it which is Gigs and my E drive music movies Switch primary hard drives etc Gigs so my OS drive is only Gigs and whenever i download a program or anything it automatically wants to go straight to my C drive This is quite annoying because i always have to go into custom install for everything and make it go into my E drive which contains my games music etc and sometimes i cant even choose to install the program to my E drive instead of my C drive it probably doesn t sound like such a problem but i do alot of downloading and installing of many different programs and this whole custom install crap is getting on my nerves because my gigs of storage meant for my OS and core files is getting filled up with Switch primary hard drives the crap i want on my E drive so anyway just wondering if there was a way to switch the save download install whatever priority of the hard drives nbsp

A:Switch primary hard drives

What Internet browser are you using?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switch-primary-hard-drives.177372/
Relevancy 23.65%

What could be causing two dvd drives to not work at the same time? Individually they work, but when plugged in together only one works.

They are SATA DVD writers running on a quad core intel computer on windows 7 64bit. I can't be anymore specific because it's my dad that's having this problem.

Thanks

A:Two DVD drives: won't work at the same time

Are they both showing up as letters d: e: f: ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/two-dvd-drives-wont-work-at-the-same-time.175857/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi

I got my laptop last week and and yesterday the sound stopped working. The laptop is a ASUS G53SX: i7-2670QM 2,2 ghz. 8 GB RAM. GTX 560M.

I have tried to update/re-install the drivers without any luck. I have also tried system recovery and still no sound. The latest software that I have installed is Adobe Production premium 5.5 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

I have checked the playback settings and the only device showing is Sony-tv 1. I also checked for deactivated and disconnected devices but still only Sony-tv.
Please help

A:Internal speakers not showing on playback devices

go to asus support website and download sound/audio driver according to your laptop model and OS

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internal-speakers-not-showing-on-playback-devices.174469/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hello All,
I am looking to buy a flash drive, I have USB3 on my pc and i have seen some flashdrives that are USB3, is there a major difference between USB2 and USB3?
Thank you for your help.
Jon

A:Major difference between USB 2.0 and 3.0 flash drives?

andoyan said:

Hello All,
I am looking to buy a flash drive, I have USB3 on my pc and i have seen some flashdrives that are USB3, is there a major difference between USB2 and USB3?
Thank you for your help.
JonClick to expand...

They're 10x faster it seems.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/major-difference-between-usb-2-0-and-3-0-flash-drives.174749/
Relevancy 23.65%

I need help getting my cd dvd drives to work I can burn a cd but neither drive will read a cd dvd Ive ports not drives CD/DVD working and USB tried the following with no luck Uninstall the drive through Device CD/DVD drives and USB ports not working Manager Restart computer The drive will be automatically reinstalled or http support microsoft com kb Restart computer or Download and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch Double click on cdgone zip to unzip it Right click on cdgone reg click Merge Accept registry merge Restart computer or Go to Device Manager click a quot quot sign CD/DVD drives and USB ports not working next to IDE ATA ATAPI Controllers You ll see two items - ATA Channel or Primary Channel - ATA Channel or Secondary Channel Right click on each of them and click Uninstall Confirm Restart Windows They ll be automatically reinstalled When I try uninstalling the drives through device manager my computer freezes up completely and I have to force shutdown any ideas all help would me much appreciated oh and by the way Im running xp home and I have SP installed thanks nbsp

A:CD/DVD drives and USB ports not working

no? ok. thought I would get a response. I THOUGHT WRONG! lol

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-dvd-drives-and-usb-ports-not-working.170413/
Relevancy 22.79%

There was a previous thread on this, but none which I found pertaining to Windows 7.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to do this?

Possibly without having to use the Win7 installation CD...

A:Changing hard drives from IDE to SATA With a RAID configuration in Windows 7

Can you supply us with the full scenario please?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-hard-drives-from-ide-to-sata-with-a-raid-configuration-in-windows-7.172531/
Relevancy 24.08%

SO basically i m doomed when i plug the damn thing in SOMETIMES windows will say that it is quot not recognized quot and SOMETIMES Windows won t say nuthin at all jsyk i ve tried times and only one time windows responded with that uplifting message i tried searching for the device in my computer not there there is no quot removable disk quot icon either i also tried going into disk management not there either oh and i ve also tried this on other computers SO therefore I assume that the thing is un-salvageable UNLESS Disk in Management Computer showing Thumb up not drive or My of course Thumb drive not showing up in Disk Management or My Computer one of you angels reveal that it is not actually a goner and that i can actually still access it and save my life in which case it would just mean i m a complete tech noob however that optimistic situation seems highly unlikely and therefore i shall return to my assumption that i am doomed seeing as life is so is there any way i can recover my data from the thumbdrive and no i can t send it back to the dealer because i never actually bought the thing it was given as a door gift at someone s birthday IKR so yeah nbsp

A:Thumb drive not showing up in Disk Management or My Computer

Hi

it sounds well stuffed, however i did a quick google on the subject

http://www.recovermyflashdrive.com/articles/how-flash-drives-fail

http://www.techimo.com/forum/storage-related/214456-flash-drive-broken-need-repair-recover.html

regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/thumb-drive-not-showing-up-in-disk-management-or-my-computer.172157/
Relevancy 20.64%

I am new to this forum and to posting tech questions online in general so hopefully I can describe what s going on accurately My computer has had no problems to iPod, External device) memory drives working (e.g. external not speak of lately I had not synced my iPod nano in some time maybe a month or two so I plugged it in yesterday to sync it I received the following message quot iTunes has detected an iPod that appears to be corrupted You may need to restore this iPod before it External drives (e.g. iPod, external memory device) not working can be used with External drives (e.g. iPod, external memory device) not working iTunes quot I have since discovered the problem has nothing to do with External drives (e.g. iPod, external memory device) not working the iPod itself The iPod plays all the music and podcasts that are currently on it just fine When I plug it into my girlfriend s computer her iTunes recognizes it just fine as my iPod and I was able to pull videos off of it I am now pretty certain the problem is with my USB drives I have an external memory drive that I use to back up documents - I had not used this in some time either Out of curiosity I plugged it in and it s not working either When I plug it in and turn it on nothing pops up and when I try to do certain actions to check on it like open My Computer the system freezes and I end up having to manually shut down the computer and restart I have gone through several threads on various forums and tried almost everything but nothing has resolved this issue Some threads suggested that plugging in certain devices can mess up your USB drives like this and a few weeks ago I did plug my girlfriend s printer into one of my USBs - I did get it to work but things were a little screwy with it so I m wondering if somehow that did something Other than that I can t think of anything else that has changed since the last time everything worked So far I have tried changing the drive letter on the iPod I have tried cleaning up my USB drives by using drivecleanup exe I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drives through Device Manager and I tried restoring my computer to a time when everything was working - none of this has fixed the problem and I m now at a loss Also FYI it s not easy for me to reinstall my operating system I have Windows XP Professional Service Pack because I purchased my computer from a custom dealer so I do not own my operating system CDs - they just load the OS onto the computer for you I can take it in to have it reinstalled but it costs and I just did that a few months ago so I really don t want to spend that much to do it again if it s not absolutely necessary especially since everything else on the computer is working fine I am hoping someone will have some insight on this and can help me out Any advice is welcome this has become extremely frustrating and time consuming Thanks Jon nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-drives-e-g-ipod-external-memory-device-not-working.171337/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello every one! My computer drive E is not showing data and from properties it is shown that data is still there and occupying space. This problem started two days ago when i started my pc and when i opened E there was nothing shown and before it was working properly... kindly help me....

A:Primary hard drive not showing data on it...

Use A43 File Manager. This is a replacement for Explorer.

Your files are still there, probably hidden by malware infection

at the CMD prompt type these

E:
CD /
ATTRIB -S -H /S /D

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/primary-hard-drive-not-showing-data-on-it.169993/
Relevancy 24.51%

I m having quite a problem here My external hard drive Astone - Tb isn t showing up on my computer - or anybody else s I lent it to a friend and I believe he may have been rough with it The base is missing screws and after receiving drive external hard is showing not My up it back My external hard drive is not showing up the following My external hard drive is not showing up day I plugged it into my laptop It came up with quot Installing device driver software quot which My external hard drive is not showing up is odd since I ve used it on there many times before Afterward it would flash in My Computer for a second coloured grey then disappear It does not appear in Safety Removal Hardware either I ve tried this on several computers but with no difference and the blue light still works The problem is definitely with the Hard Drive since thumbdrives still work fine Reformatting isn t an option because there are important irreplaceable files on there It does however show up in control panel gt Hardware and Sound gt Devices and Printers I still can t access it though - When I right-click and go to browse files quot Removable Disk D quot is written in grey Is there anything you tech geniuses can do to help I m really getting desperate here nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-external-hard-drive-is-not-showing-up.170588/
Relevancy 24.08%

I bought a brand spanking new gigabyte a75m ud2h motherboard as well as a processor for the FM1 slot (came as a bundle). I hooked it all up but for some reason i'm not getting ANY reaction when i turn the computer on, no fans no light on the motherboard nothing. When i plug the power back into my old motherboard it starts up just fine. So the power switch is fine, the power source (650W) is fine...not sure why my machine is not starting up with the brand spanking new mobo & processor =( Any suggestions? I have tried putting the power button pin in every slot on the F-board, cannot get any reaction from my tower.

A:Brand new motherboard upgrade, computer showing no signs of life

First suggestion, check that you aren't shorting out the board by having any screw mounting the motherboard contacting the case. I'd even suggest taking it out of the case and testing just on a desk/table, away from any sources of static electricity. If that makes no difference it could be that the motherboard is DOA (Dead on arrival). There are many products that slip through quality control procedures of manufacturers and turn up at people's homes in a non working state. If the testing outside of the case doesn't give any positive results it might be time to contact the retailer for RMA/sending them back the faulty part.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/brand-new-motherboard-upgrade-computer-showing-no-signs-of-life.169417/
Relevancy 22.79%

Heres my problem , so my computer dvd and cd drives failed i kept getting mssg select boot device and reboot. then i used a cd drive fromanother computer connected it with xp windows cd and now im getting error in setup"setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer" please help this computer used to work fine before and was xp before..thankyou in advance!

A:Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer

Check you bios settings if it is detecting your HDD.

/edit/

Check also the jumper settings of the CD drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-installed-in-your-computer.169834/
Relevancy 24.08%

it was working fine this morning, and i'd left my computer copying files on to it all day, and when i got back to it just now it started telling me that this hard drive doesn't exist.. it had it as g:, and i have another one plugged in now called f: (which is showing up okay), and my computer's hard drive is split in two, c and d, so it's not a name confusion thing.. just stopped working all of a sudden, even its little light isn't lighting up.. .. i managed to use it fine once before, to copy files on to (needed to do that so i didn't lose everything when i wiped my computer's hd, for another reason (most stubborn virus i've ever met)).. .. so what should i do now? is my stuff still salvagable?

A:WD hard drive, almost brand new, not showing up in my computer all of a sudden

Is it an external hdd? You could start Disk Management (press start, and run diskmgmt.msc). If your hdd shows up there you can right click and assign a new drive letter.
You can also try to connect it to another computer.

Sadly it's also possible that your hard drive just died, even if it's new. In that case you should return it to wherever you bought it and get a replacement, but your data could be difficult to recover (maybe it's possible, but very expensive). One of my Transcend external drives stopped working after only a few weeks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-hard-drive-almost-brand-new-not-showing-up-in-my-computer-all-of-a-sudden.169342/
Relevancy 24.94%

So it was working the other day I left my computer came back and it wasn t showing up I restarted the computer and it was not showing up at all It is definitely getting power but WD has external anywhere isn't power, 1TB HD showing it is not showing up in the remove hardware option in the bottom tray it is not making the sound when it get plugged in and it is not showing up in the disk management or whatever it s called I ve tried on different computer and am having the same issue Earlier today I plugged it in and after mins or so it showed up with notifications and everything and was able to open some folders but it started saying there were delayed write issues and wouldn t let 1TB WD external HD has power, isn't showing anywhere me open anything else After that nothing for a few more hours then I went to try it on a different computer and it showed up only in the remove hardware thing at the bottom Not in the explorer nor in the disk management thing It s still under warranty so I can replace it but I have about gb of pictures music and movies that I probably will have an extremely difficult time getting back without spending hundreds of dollars So I don t want to switch it out unless I have to Please help I m spending a lot of time trying to fix this Any help would be much appreciated nbsp

A:1TB WD external HD has power, isn't showing anywhere

Get the new hard drive and install Windows on it. After you have applied all the Windows Updates, install the old drive as a second hard drive and see if you can access files from it that way. If you have to return the old drive for warranty replacement, see if you can borrow a drive for this data transfer. If the old drive isn't seen, there is nothing that can be done to save the data short of spending hundreds of dollars

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1tb-wd-external-hd-has-power-isnt-showing-anywhere.169222/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi all, I have 2 hard drive slots and 2 HDs one small and one huge. How can I have it so that the small one has windows on it like now, And the big one will be able to store files on it?

A:How can I run two hard drives on Windows XP?

If your talking about either physical size, or hard disk space, it will be fine (assuming we're not talking 3TB which I don't think will work).

You can use one for OS, and one for data, sure.

You just install the OS to the small hard disk, and then use the larger sized hard disk for data. The computer won't care where you store data as long as it has enough free space.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-run-two-hard-drives-on-windows-xp.168904/
Relevancy 22.79%

Let's say that I want to buy this 8-bay RAID enclosure and load it with 4x 2TB drives running in RAID 5. In few years (or months) the 6TB (or so) effective RAID 5 will be full and I will need more space. Will I be able to buy another 2TB drive, add it to the enclosure and tell it to "expand" the current raid 5 to include the new drive? Or will I have to transfer all 6TB out and re-do the raid form ground up?

Thanks

A:Can I add drives to existing RAID without redoing the entire thing?

Depends on the RAID controller but the answer with hardware controllers is typically yes. I don't know anything about the bay you linked or what kind of controller it contains, but based on the price I'd be leary. A stand-alone 8 drive hardware controller usually starts around $400... and that's just for the controller.

After closer inspection I see it's software based RAID. I haven't done this type of RAID in years so I'm not sure sure what kind of advancements have been made here. I do know that I avoid doing software based at all costs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-add-drives-to-existing-raid-without-redoing-the-entire-thing.168662/
Relevancy 23.22%

I have an HP tower I've been given to find out what the problem is. It freezes sometimes at the very first HP blue screen, and at other times indicates cannot find proper boot device message. I went into setup, and found that nothing at all is being seen in terms of SATA connections. 1st drive through the 4th drive indicate that there is nothing at all connected. I currently have the hard drive, and two DVD drives hooked up to the SATA motherboard connections. I've scanned both the hard drive and RAM for integrity. Both test good. So ultimately I am thinking the motherboard is toast, and perhaps a power surge is responsible. Any thoughts?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-not-seeing-any-hard-drives-or-roms-connected.167638/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi Guys, im new to the forum so be gentle - this wont be a 1 post and leave either

So whats happening is im replacing a staff members computer , she has windows xp and has 4 network drives mapped, ive built her a new machine and have installed windows xp on it, and connect it up using the same network cables, how ever when i go to map the drive i get "The network path \\Fileserver1\SCHEDDAT could not be found" , yet when i re-hook up her old system and boot it up it all connect fine....so in a nut shell why does the old one connect fine , but the new build cant access the drives? i have disabled the firewall also....thanks in advance for any help offered.

Ash

A:Problem mapping network drives

Ok so some progress on this, if i share a drive on a local computer plugged into the same router or switch then map to it, i can connect no problems, how ever connecting to the 2 servers seems to be the issue, oddly enough also even when using the EXACT same cables that the other computer that connect fine uses, it still wont connect.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-mapping-network-drives.167103/
Relevancy 24.08%

Have joined to see if i can get some assistance noticed others have done this with success I have a seagate TB expansion Hard Drive which was firstly coming up with I O error and now the computer doesnt even register that its connected dispite connection noises from the drive itself on usb connection I have read through various topics and forums and carried out a number of the checks and processes to run through but still without success I have tried this on other laptops and issue is exactly the same I have another Buffulo expansion drive which is working fine in all USB ports The system is windows Vista and upgraded to service showing Seagate hard on not expansion computers drive pack I have cleaned up existing USB drivers on system also When disk management is opened the system doesnt read the drive is connected There is no excessive noises coming from drive but lights on and small amount of heat is given off Needing help as i use drive to back up important photos and files dont want them lost Can anyone help please nbsp

A:Seagate expansion hard drive not showing on computers

Sounds like the drive has failed as you had been getting warning signs with the I/O errors and now it has stopped working. There is a possibility that it is just the circuitry in the housing so you may be able to get it going again with a new housing. You could first test the drive by removing it from the housing and hooking it up to the internal connections of a desktop PC or by using a USB adapter.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-expansion-hard-drive-not-showing-on-computers.166721/
Relevancy 24.08%

My dell vostro laptop came with vista,but some of my programs do not work on vista,when i try to install winxp all goes well until i recieve this message " No hard drive seen". Can some one assist on how to go about this?

A:SATA drives

It seem to me that many people haven't mentioned that they googled this situation for using the sata hard drives on laptop for down-grading to XP.

Have you ever googled for using and integrating the F6 drivers for laptop as yet?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-drives.166585/
Relevancy 23.22%

When I copy music files from my PC to a USB external hard drive, some of the files get corrupted and can't be opened. First times this happened I thought it was a faulty hard drive so got another one - exactly same problem. Then I found that the same thing happened when I tried copying music or photo files to a USB flash drive and also to a music player. All the drives work fine when connected to a netbook. Could it be a problem with the USB ports? I've tried using different ports on the PC but always get the same problem. My PC is 5 years old, 2x2.8Ghz Pentium, runs XP and has 2 front and 6 rear USB ports. Anyone come across this and is there anything I can do to solve it short of buying a new PC?

A:Copying to external drives gives corrupted files

Is XP updated to Service Pack 3? How much memory do you have installed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/copying-to-external-drives-gives-corrupted-files.165720/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have two hard drives both from Seagate i have multiple partitions on both drives but just out of curiosity is one partition possible both drives together i mean only C:/ for both hardrives instead of two or more partitions.

A:Possible to have one partition for two drives?

Yes, it can. They can be configured into a RAID array or as JBOD although I'm no authority in this area. Either way you could have just one logical drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/possible-to-have-one-partition-for-two-drives.165527/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have been trying to buy a 2TB hard drive for quite some time. My system is basically an installed hard drive with 3 Kingwin pull-out chassis for data drives (such as media/photos/mp3s, emulators, backups, etc). My goal is to retire some of the data drives with higher capacity drives (keeping the old drives as a sort of snapshot in time backup; since you can't really backup 1TB of data economically).

BUT ... there are no 2TB drives on NewEgg which don't predominanatly say "CONS: Drive was DOA in 2 weeks; ran very hot". Certainly the WD2TB drives all suffer from this, and the Samsung isn't doing much better.

Anyone have any insight on a 2TB drive that isn't suffering from severe quality control?

Thanks!

A:Any decent 2TB drives?

hi,

Any brand can fail man, that's a fact

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/any-decent-2tb-drives.163078/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hello I m a first timer on this site I m not very computer savvy but I ve found that I follow forum instructions fairly well I m not too sure how to get a lot of the information that will help you help me so please be a little patient I ll do what I can I m sure you ll need more info but here is a start I have an Acer Aspire Z Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack Processor Genuine Intel CPU T GHz -bit Operating System Avast anti-virus and Spybot search and destroy as well as CCleaner to drives Continuing filling hard help quot clean quot I recognize there are a few VERY similar threads already posted However I also noticed in several notes not to follow others advice blindly so I apologize for any redundancy My problem is that I only have very minimal memory left on C amp D drives I ve removed almost all pictures and music however it has not cleared much Continuing filling hard drives memory In fact the memory appears to be more filled Today I used CCleaner to wipe the drives After doing so the D drive went from almost filled to VERY close to being completely out of memory There are things that showed up w today s date as modified was F ABA E C C A D Continuing filling hard drives FF XLWJUFWNLVJYDBOA And the other F ABA E C C A D FF HFCCYTURFJMLQWCT Under properties they show to be taking about GB of space Can you please advise if it safe to remove to clear up memory Also if you could maybe Continuing filling hard drives walk me through showing what else I have on my computer maybe we can clear up more memory space Thank you so much for your time patience and help Shannon nbsp

A:Continuing filling hard drives

Greetings. Is the D:\ drive of your Acer Aspire 5570Z a partition or do you have two hard drives? Also, what is the size of the drive(s)? Here are a few things which may help:

1.) Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> Disk Cleanup
2.) Specify the C:\ drive.
3.) As long as there's nothing in your Recycle Bin that you want to keep, then you can check all of the boxes to delete the junk in each category. Some large items may be MS Office installation files and a Windows.old folder if you reinstalled Windows at some point.

Also, it might be worth-while to remove any programs you no longer use (Start >> Control Panel >> Add/ Remove Programs).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/continuing-filling-hard-drives.164192/
Relevancy 23.65%

Can someone point me to a tutorial on the best and easiest way to swap hard drives by copying the whole build to an external drive then moving it all to the new drive once it's installed? I have a 1 TB external drive and would love to just move the contents of the whole failing drive to it so I can install a new drive and put everything back as it was. Don't want to reinstall all my apps and drivers basically.

Thanks so much for your time in advance!

A:Swapping hard drives

Its simpler to just get the replacement drive and copy the contents to it, rather than using the external as a stop-gap. That way you save a lot of time (esp if the external is USB 2) - I'm also unsure what software would do what you want.

If its possible to get the replacement drive and hook it up internally (even if its a temporary hook up like not mounting it, or disconnecting an optical drive) then you can use EASEUS Disk Copy: http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/ Its free and I know a lot of the members here use it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/swapping-hard-drives.162892/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have windows XP service pack 3 and my 1tb western digital hard drive is no longer showing up. I have had the drive for over a year and it was working fine until the other day when i plugged it in and the drive didnt show up in my computer. It shows up under device management but not under disc management so i can't assign it a letter. I have tried Easeus but it wont run on the drive.
Also i cannot start my computer with the drive plugged in, it gets to the boot screen and makes a click and restarts

A:Western Digital drive not showing up in My Computer

It's not completely clear if this is an external drive since an internal drive can be "plugged in" too so to speak. Anyway, let's presume it's an external drive. I'd say either the enclosure has failed or the hard drive itself has.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-drive-not-showing-up-in-my-computer.162595/
Relevancy 23.65%

I am trying to rebuild an older computer with an Abit NF -S motherboard All the hard drives were removed except the cd and dvd drives which the motherboard detects and are functional My problem is that the MB cannot detect SATA drives only IDE drives It does have two onboard SATA plug-ins I have used SATA drives in the past on it with no problems but that was through a drives Motherboard detect SATA cannot Promise Raid card which Motherboard cannot detect SATA drives eventually died and caused irreparable damage to the MBR of the hard drive with the OS Windows XP This is why I am starting over Motherboard cannot detect SATA drives I have never used the onboard SATA plug-ins I read the MB manual but it says very little about SATA except that it is set up for two Motherboard cannot detect SATA drives SATA drives which includes a onboard SATA controller which I made sure was enabled in the bios settings I have searched the web for several hours and found no solutions I am hoping that perhaps somebody on this forum uses or is familiar with the NF -S and can help me figure out the problem Thank you TCMGO nbsp

A:Motherboard cannot detect SATA drives

You need to install the SATA/RAID drivers for the motherboard. Windows XP does not have support for SATA so you would need to reinstall XP and use a floppy disc to install the drivers during the installation. This is done early in the install process when a message appears at the bottom of the screen asking you to hit F6 to install additional drivers.

This guide will show how to integrate the SATA drivers with XP if you do not have a floppy drive

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-cannot-detect-sata-drives.161991/
Relevancy 23.65%

I need to purchase about 10-25 laptop hard drives. Do you have any recommendations on places where I can purchase(Sata & PATA).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wtb-laptop-hard-drives.161741/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hey guys This has been a frequently reoccuring issue At the moment I have two hard drives I use on my month old computer Everytime I shut down my computer and try to reboot it I recieve and error message similar to quot Reboot or select proper Boot device or my hard one of BIOS drives detecting not Insert Boot media in selected Boot device and press a key quot When I open BIOS to check on the issue one of my hard drives is never dected but the other very frequently is sometimes neither are detected To solve this issue I have been powering down my computer BIOS not detecting one of my hard drives for about mins then BIOS not detecting one of my hard drives I d try again in the hope that it would detect both that time When they both have been successfully detected I then have to navigate my way to Boot gt Hard Drives then swap the st hard drive with the nd so on Boot gt Priority the nd is the one showing However the nd hard drive that I speak of is the one that is rarely detected This is rather frustrating BIOS not detecting one of my hard drives at times and I would like to solve the issue as soon as possible as it seems to be getting progresively worse I currently don t have any external hard drives plugged in I have swapped the hard drive cabels around from hard drive to hard drive I tried unplugging re-plugging first and the issue is still occuring Any help or suggestions will be very much appreciated If you would like further information I will try my best to answer Thanks d lo nbsp

A:BIOS not detecting one of my hard drives

Is this a Windows XP O/S system?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-not-detecting-one-of-my-hard-drives.161433/
Relevancy 23.65%

I had two 1TB Seagate hd's set up in RAID 0 config. I updated the BIOS on my motherboard and naturally in reset my RAID controller. Since then I have put in a Seagate 2TB XT drive and taken out the other two drives.
Whenever I plug my two original RAID 0 drives into my system it only shows the drives having approximately 100MB of space on each.
I can go to the format function but even if I don't do a quick format it only takes 2 to 5 seconds to format the drives.
I "really" want to format the whole 1TB drive. How do I do this?

A:How do I format my hard drives?

I'm not too familiar with RAID setups, so you might want to wait for another member of the site to respond to this,

Go to Start > right click on My Computer go to Manage. From here, on the left side select Disk Management In here should list the drives and all the partitions on the drives. Are you able to screenshot and attach it to your next reply?

Post back with what you find.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-format-my-hard-drives.161207/