Windows Support Forum

Laptop DVD external enclosure not working properly

Q: Laptop DVD external enclosure not working properly

Hi I installed hard drives using a caddy in my laptop SSD for the OS and HDD for data Every once in a while once a year id say I still need the DVD drive so I bought an external DVD enclosure Generic The problem right now is that windows doesn't recognize it or rather doesn't recognize it correctly On windows pro x here is a pic of the device manager ok so windows recognizes it a a disk drive automatically changed it manually to optical drive and adds a portable device WPD FileSystem Volume Driver The drive appears in My computer but empty What Iv tried - chose manually all available drivers from windows in update driver - disabled power management on usb - other usb port computer on win bits - using a power cable instead of enclosure DVD Laptop working properly not external the usb power cable - google search for drivers using the device id USBSTOR DISK amp VEN GENERIC amp PROD EXTERNAL amp REV amp anything else I can try thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Laptop DVD external enclosure not working properly

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Laptop DVD external enclosure not working properly

Did you try going into the BIOS to see how it recognized it?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/237987-laptop-dvd-external-enclosure-not-working-properly.html
Relevancy 74.39%

had post earlier but couldnt change thread title, nobody was looking....sorry
my adaptec acs-100 with an old maxtor 6.5gb harddrive isnt being read by windows. its connected by a usb2.0 cable. when i plug it in the bubble pops up saying it recognises the mass storage device then says my hardware may not work properly after.

should i change the jumper settings to something else? right now it is on master (jumper all the way to left covering top and bottom pins)

when i try to open my computer it hangs!!!!!!! and its taking longer to boot up. when i press the power button there is a black screen for 30 seconds. i cant change any hd settings in my stupid bios menu, (toshiba sattelite a-85)

store warranty running out....tick tock tick tock

thanks

Relevancy 73.1%

I have an Eagle INEO external enclosure with a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB drive in it. It was working perfectly fine last night; however, I wake up this morning and try to turn it on, and all I get is random beeps from the enclosure; the drive won't start up. I've tried opening up the enclosure and removing/reinserting the hard drive to no avail. It appears that the enclosure I'm using has been deactivated according to Newegg, but I'm not entirely sure that's the reason why it's refusing to turn on. I'm going to buy another hard drive and external enclosure soon; should I get two external enclosures instead and put my current drive in one, or is there any way I can make my current one work? Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 72.24%

I m posting this in the hardware forum since it involves HD swapping between computers However it may be a Windows issue HD = Laptop Enclosure My No External Documents? I m not sure So I recently bought a new laptop since my old one has been acting up a lot and the screen has beendying Well I needed a few files off my old HD so I went to start up the old laptop for the first time a couple weeks It started REALLY slowly Meaning I left running for about half an hour and it never booted up It Laptop HD External Enclosure = No My Documents? made it to the Windows loading screen and the quot progress bar quot if you want to call it that moves only a bit every or so seconds It never booted Eventually I got sick of waiting and shut off and tried again It went to the quot windows didn t start Laptop HD External Enclosure = No My Documents? properly quot screen and I tried to choose the option to start normally I say I quot tried quot because I coudn t hardley move between the options It seemed as if EVERYTHING was running slow in a sense In short it never booted So I took my HD out and put it in my little usb enclosure and plugged it into my new laptop Started up fine and I was able to access most everything on the drive With the exception of My Documents on my main accunt I was able to access My Documents in the other users folders but not the one I needed to I get an error message when I try to open the folder E Documents and Settings Matt is not accessible Access is denied Click to expand Also if I hold my cursor over the folder it says that the folder is empty Is there some reason as to why this has happened Is there anything I can do to get in there I can t imagine why it s just vanish like that nbsp

A:Laptop HD External Enclosure = No My Documents?

Sounds like the drive is almost dead. Windows is obviously not working, and if you don't boot from the drive, you'll see some files for a while, until you don't see anything. Most of my drives went slowly like that. Sorry. I'm terrible at backing up too.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-hd-external-enclosure-no-my-documents.483548/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi My old compaq presario s motherboard died last year and I had the tech install the gig hard drive Can anyone enclosure me old an troubleshoot for laptop an external help drive? in a generic enclosure Don t know what these usually look like but mine is a palm-sized aluminum box with one light green red It has a small trapezoidal socket which hooks up to a cable with two separate USB plugs I m assuming one is for power and the other is for data The drive worked great for about six months then stopped working On two different Can anyone help me troubleshoot an external enclosure for an old laptop drive? PCs I get the same situation the computer recognizes the Can anyone help me troubleshoot an external enclosure for an old laptop drive? drive when I plug it in I get a green light on the drive but when I try to open the drive I get an I O device error The drive and both PCs are XP formatted I recently popped the enclosure open firmly seated the drive on its pins and tried again but no luck I ve been slacking on dealing with this for a while since it s only gigs But it happens to be just enough extra space for me to comfortably install XP and linux on partitions in Can anyone help me troubleshoot an external enclosure for an old laptop drive? my new laptop s drive If I can get this done myself I d be very happy but it s not worth the my local tech wants to charge me just to look at it Thanks for your help nbsp

A:Can anyone help me troubleshoot an external enclosure for an old laptop drive?

format

Are you able to format the drive? You may just have a damaged partition and need to format it. Go right click on My Computer->Manage->Storage->Disk Management. Does the drive show up in there? If it does, does it say inactive, if it does activate it. If it doesn't, does it say unallocated?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-anyone-help-me-troubleshoot-an-external-enclosure-for-an-old-laptop-drive.30327/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi,

I have a Laptop running Win98 1st. Ed. It's on it's 2nd hard drive. The first was a IBM Travelstar (model# DKLA-24320). It was replaced when the Stone Monkey Virus made it impossible to access the dirve.

Now I am looking for what I think is called an external hard drive caddy or enclosure. I would like to place the old hard drive in the external caddy or enclosure. The caddy or enclosure would have to be either Parallel, USB or PCMICA adaptable. I am hoping to then be able to access the old hard drive that way.

Is there such a Caddy or enclosure, does it go by any other name? If there is such a device please tell me the proper name and where I can find them.

I'd also like to know whether, this sounds like a possible way to access an old laptop hard drive?

Thanks

A:laptop Hard Drive External Caddy or Enclosure

You can pick up USB external disk cases for peanuts for 2.5" disks. I use them for traveling storage. Here's one typical example: http://www.imagestore.us/product.asp?pf_id=HY-2.5case&dept_id=04-005

Note that you may need a cheap +5V adapter to use this case, you can buy them in the $20 range with the supply included. www.pricewatch.com is your friend.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-hard-drive-external-caddy-or-enclosure.278498/
Relevancy 66.22%

So I have a laptop that died, and I took the hard drive out and put it in an enclosure. I plugged it into my other computer, and it worked. It worked wonderfully. Then I safely removed the drive, now it won't work again. It starts up, and in the Device Manager window under disk drives, it shows up there. But in My Computer, it's not there, and in the Disk Management window, it's not showing up. I really need to get some songs that I was working on off of this HD, and I can't afford to go somewhere to get my info recovered.

Can anyone help me? With a slow and concise explanation...because when it comes to the hardcore computer stuff, I'm definitely NOT a pro.

A:My external HD isn't working properly...what do I do?

Start with the easiest thing first, unplug the hard drive, restart the computer then plug in the usb drive after everything starts up on your computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-external-hd-isnt-working-properly-what-do-i-do.107500/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi folks I REALLY need some help as googling amp trawing other forums has failed to find a solution Last night I was trying to install an external dvd-writer to properly after USB ports hub working using external not USB my Dell Inspiron netbook This device had TWO usb plugs and neither of my usb ports are side by side Although they recommended using an extender cord of course none was included I thought I'd get around the USB ports not working properly after using external USB hub problem by using my ac-powered usb port After slowing my netbook USB ports not working properly after using external USB hub to a crawl probably not helped by the USB ports not working properly after using external USB hub attendant installation software Nero freezing amp failing to install I gave up trying to install the software by nixing all the frozen programs with Task Manager amp safely removed the dvd-drive from the hub amp then unplugged the hub Now when I try to install any of my portable external drives Samsung s quot Portable TB Drive Western Digital g Portable Drive directly into the netbook's usb ports they won't work They don't show in Device Manager or as a Lettered Drive They will show up in the Drive letter area a limited way if I connect them via the ac-powered hub Autoplay searches for content amp kinda of gets stuck but you can see access the files But they're still not giving me all the options they did before The Drive letter doesn't have the picture icon it normally has just a placeholder amp the drive's letter amp the device's name When each device is plugged in the 'installing drivers' animation starts amp when finished says something about 'Initio device installed' rather than giving a name to the device e g Samsung Portable Western Digital Ext Drive etc as it normally does A small G flash drive will show up and my wireless mouse works so it suggests at least I haven't fried the ports-I hope I tried disconnecting all usb devices amp the ac hub then deleting all the Universal Serial Bus Controllers amp rebooting They re-install on boot-but doesn't fix my problem My large portable dives won't connect without the ac hub amp do so haphazardly Same result with deleting the Initio Controller System Restores to points before the DVD-writer installation failed to fix it as well I don't know what to do anymore How do I get my netbook to read all the external amp portable drives directly from its usb ports like it used to How do I get it back to full functionity rather than hanging on the 'Search for Content' amp get back full autoplay I know some devices need a hub but these ones didn't What am I doing wrong Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thanks in Advance WT

A:USB ports not working properly after using external USB hub

Are these external devices USB-powered or A/C Powered?
If they are USB powered it could be that the Power Supply of your netbook cannot handle the demand of electricity the devices need to function, they thing that draws me to this hypothesis of the issue being is that your netbook gets very slow when they are plugged in and little voltage can cause that.

I also had issues with my old PC using an external hub, the whole PC would freeze, so it may be a software conflict as well. Put I think it is mostly PSU based.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/173219-usb-ports-not-working-properly-after-using-external-usb-hub.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I am running vista on my laptop which has an Nvidia GeForce 8700M GT video card. I have a dell external monitor which I know works because it works on my windows 7 netbook.. I plugged the monitor in and nothing. I have all the settings set up to run an extended desktop and made sure it was "connected". Windows is recognizing there is a monitor but it wont "turn it on".. I can draw other windows over in the direction of the monitor as if it were on but its just black... any ideas???

A:External Monitor not working properly

Laptops usually have a key combination to enable the external monitor.
It's usually the Fn key and one of the Function keys. They usually have a picture of a monitor or two on them.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-monitor-not-working-properly-470267.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I've had a Maxtor 120GB drive for about 2 weeks now and it had been working fine. Just about an hour ago it no longer allows me to open the drive's directory. I'll open it, it'll sit for about 4 or 5 seconds and I'll the error message stating that Windows Explorer encountered an error and needs to close. This happens every time. I only have mp3's on the drive and I can open them through Winamp and such, but I can't go through the folders. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 64.07%

This is a recent problem. I have a Toshiba Canvio external drive, not SSD. It's got Bitlocker, so when I turn my PC on or awake from sleep, I have to enter a password to access the drive. Now, if I restart my PC, it works fine. Recently though, when I awaken from sleep, I'll click on the drive to enter the password, and Windows does this eternal loading thing. The address bar in Explorer has that green progress bar moving along, but it never finishes. If I unplug the drive and plug it back in, I can enter the password and access the drive, but after a while it'll start doing to eternal loading thing again. I doesn't seem like it would be the drive; the drive doesn't know whether the PC is freshly restarted or coming back from sleep.

A:External Bitlocker drive not working properly after sleep.

I think it may be an explorer problem. I had the problem with the drive again today after awaking my PC, and tried restarting the explorer process. The explorer UI (windows, task bar, start menu, etc.) is gone, but it won't restart and won't go away when I click "end task"

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/65057-external-bitlocker-drive-not-working-properly-after-sleep.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I have problem with my external mouse and external keyboard. It started about 3 weeks ago. They freeze, jump or shutdown, most annoying is mouse, I need to reconnect it usually. It will work well about 1-5 min and again. Touch Pad works well.

I have installed newest Windows updates, also downloaded and installed drivers from Toshiba web. I set up default BIOS settings. Nothing helped.

I don't have recovery disk to try that. Is there any solution other then recovery/reinstalling system?

Someone had such problem?

A:External mouse and keyboard are not working properly on Satellite Pro C650

Hi

It is not easy to say much about this issue.
Do you use wireless devices? Are batteries OK?
Have you noticed the same problem using other USB devices?
I presume both devices uses USB port on your notebook.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?81491-External-mouse-and-keyboard-are-not-working-properly-on-Satellite-Pro-C650
Relevancy 63.21%

Alright, I've been trying to find anyone with a similar problem, tried some different things but none worked.
I have a jack on the side of the laptop as usual, where I plug my headphones which do work perfectly. The laptop's internal speakers also work. The problem comes when I try to plug in external speakers. So far I've tried 3 sets, 2 of them with a jack plug and one with a normal USB plug. The issue is with all 3 that only one half works properly, the other is very quiet and distorted. I've also tried streaming sound onto my phone and plugging the speakers into the phone itself, but same deal as before.

Is it a hardware issue? If yes, why do headphones and the internal speakers work?

If anyone has any ideas I'd be thankful.

I'm running windows 10 home 64bit on a Lenovo y500

A:Can't get external speakers to work properly on laptop

It is common to find that different jack plugs have slightly different sizes and tolerances, and some connect better than others, and also that the sockets on laptops are subject to wear, and will lose some connectivity with one or both channels. If you can find an adapter - with a short length of cable for strain relief, and preferably an angled male plug connector - that fits well to both to the laptop and headphones, but also to external speakers, that may be a solution.

Some audio control panels allow for output to other sockets, if the audio chip is capable - for instance not only the headphone jack but also the microphone jack, which may be less worn, and may be a better connection for your speaker jacks - at the loss of an external microphone connection. This may not be an option on some laptops.

Otherwise, the socket on the laptop may need to be replaced or adjusted so that the contacts connect all of your plugs equally well - a delicate job best performed by a qualified repair technician. Laptop motherboards are quite flimsy, and movement of the jack through strain on the headphone cable etc., can cause board cracking and solder joint or copper trace failures.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/43533-cant-get-external-speakers-work-properly-laptop.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I have an HDD from a kaput (long story) Toshiba Laptop with a nicely running Windows 10 Technical Preview Operating System. I would like to put it in an enclosure, hook it to my Windows 7 computer and boot it to play with Win 10.
As I understand it from some preliminary research, if I use a USB connection and expect to boot it, there is a lengthy procedure to go through and it can only be done with a blank HDD So I couldn't just put my HDD in and boot.

However, I have an eSATA port on my Toshiba Laptop and am wondering if I get an external enclosure with an eSATA connection, could I use my HDD that already has the OS installed?

Any answers or suggestions?

A:External HDD in an external eSATA enclosure bootable?

Can the laptop boot from the eSATA port? Even if it will you may have issues with incorrect drivers etc.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/63710-external-hdd-external-esata-enclosure-bootable.html
Relevancy 60.63%

i bought an A-power quot usb drive enclosure and put in my gb toshiba mk gal and plugged the wires in to the pc i hear the sound 1.8" installing Enclosure Drive properly Not as if something got plugged in and the pc says quot found new hardware gt USB TO IDE gt USB Mass Storage Device quot Its stays there for a few seconds and then i hear the sounds as if something was unplugged from the pc and it says quot A Problem occured during installation the device may not work properly blah blah blah quot So i unplug it goto the quot device manager gt universal serial bus quot and plug it back in It pops up in the list and i goto properties and it says quot no drivers are installed for this device quot The cd 1.8" Drive Enclosure Not installing properly that came with the drive only has windows drivers because supposedly XP doenst need them I have download many drivers from many different sites and i have made no progress I read in another thread that it might be cause o the drive letter but when its plugged in for the few seconds that windows detects it there is no other drive shown under disk management If anyone can help feel free to do so Here are the specs of my pc just incase it helps Operating System Windows XP Home Edition Build Service Pack System Manufacturer Dell Inc System Model Dimension BIOS Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version A Processor Intel R Pentium R CPU GHz CPUs Memory MB RAM DirectX Version DirectX c DX Setup Parameters Not found DxDiag Version bit Unicode nbsp

A:1.8" Drive Enclosure Not installing properly

1-Click on Start
2-Right Click on My Computer
3-Click on Manage
4-Click on Computer Management (local)
5-Click on Storage
6-Click on Disk Management
This will bring up a block representation of your hard drives, including the new external hard drive. Right click on the Unallocated block on your external hard drive and you will see an option to create a partition on the drive. I recommend that you create a logical partition and not a primary partition on the drive. Once the partition is created, you will need to format this partition before it can be used. This is done simply by clicking format.

Regards,

Korrupt

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1-8-drive-enclosure-not-installing-properly.53812/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hey TSG I wanted to post this question in the Hardware section but it was related to my recent upgrade to Windows so I decided to post it here So it has been about a month since I got my Vista home bit upgraded to W home bit using not fan working properly Laptop the upgrade CD sent buy the Gateway Free W offer It works really well and I got some ups and downs in fps in various games But the most annoying thing that went wrong is that my laptop starts heating too quickly and the games start to lag The fan used to work perfectly before in Vista Laptop fan not working properly but now I hardly hear it giving gushing sound as it cools down the lappy I thought that the problem might be with the bios not being fully compatible with W so I checked Gateway s website for W drivers for my laptop And sure enough there was one but it wouldn t install and give me this weird error Gateway support was no help but in the forums I found a huge thread containing all the drivers for the P series laptops but fixed and edited by this high tech guy so they would install properly And I found the latest bios driver for my laptop in there edited by him he stated that he added some extra files which were missing in the original package and it actually installed perfectly on my laptop But after my rd day living with this update I regret it My laptop overheats way too fast now and I can hardly play anything for more than an hour used to play perfectly before for about - hours before overheating before the bios update and never overheated in Vista before So now I am wondering if you guyz can help me rollback my bios update because I think that messed things even more up overheating ofcourse and if maybe there is a fix for my fan problem because I hardly hear the fan moving and cooling anymore Here are my computer specs Computer full name Gateway FX P- h Manufacturer Gateway Operating System Windows Home Premium -bit Build win rtm - Processor Intel R Core TM Duo CPU P GHz CPUs GHz Memory Samsung GB DDR RAM Hard Drive GB Video Card NVIDIA GeForce M GTS GB DDR Sound Card Speakers Conexant High Definition SmartAudio Motherboard Gateway IMV PS The bios update I wanted to download from the drivers for m y comp was P BIOS IMV C x but I got it in rar format the guy packed it with winrar and it was called C Working rar here is the link to that forum page first post http forum notebookreview com showthread php t amp page Thanks for your time hopefully you will be able to help me For further info just ask me nbsp

Relevancy 60.2%

My Tosiba Sattelite doesnt want to read my xp cd, nor will it activate a boot disk. it always says "missing operating system". i used dban and after it deleted everything off my hdd, it someow ended up with windows 98? now it is having this problem. i tried to uninstall windows 98 but it wont work. i dont have the money for a new hdd, what should i do?

Relevancy 59.34%

My laptop touchpad is not working properly; that is I cannot scroll properly and also have problems with the sensitivity of touch. I downloaded and installed the Synaptic touchpad driver but it is still not functioning very well. Please can someone help me with a solution.
The name of my Laptop is; Compac Presario CQ50-115NR Notebook PC
Thank you.

A:My laptop touchpad is not working properly

Go to Start -> control panel -> Hardware and Sound.

Somewhere in there you should find adjustments for the sensitivity.

If this does not work please state your operating system for further help and try it with a USB mouse.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-touchpad-is-not-working-properly.163990/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello, I just purchased my new laptop today and am having issues with the keyboard.  The keyboard will not keep up with my typing and misses many letters.  There is not only a delay, but many keys are missed. Should I return and exchange it for another model?  Have you had previous issues with this model?  If theres no easy solution, I will exchange for something else. Thank you.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Keyboard-not-working-properly-on-new-laptop/td-p/5620859
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello first of all let me say that I m aware that my laptop has no integrated webcam so my question is really about working webcams laptop properly No on external webcams not working properly Ok No webcams working properly on laptop here goes I own an Emachines E and today I ve tried to get my webcam working on my laptop I ve used the plug amp play feature to install the drivers and I ve done No webcams working properly on laptop the installation of drivers manually Nothing worked Next I ve tried a different webcam Still the same issues occur The webcam comes on when I demand it it just doesn t give me any picture I know for certain the webcams are not broken because I ve tried them on my girlfriend s laptop and they work fine using the P amp P feature So my webcams turns on when a webcam activity is requested just no picture shows on my laptop I ve used www testmycam com to check to see if any picture showed but it doesn t on my laptop The picture just remains black So my question is if anyone knows what my problem might be How come these webcams work fine on my girlfriend s laptop but don t work on mine I m hoping someone has an answer for me because it s annoying me A lot Thanks in advance nbsp

A:No webcams working properly on laptop

assuming that your Laptop has more than a single USB port have you tried plugging the Webcam into a different USB port?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-webcams-working-properly-on-laptop.919754/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello there, My laptop sound somehow stopped working. It doesnt work even after I reboot the laptop, but if I leave a video playing, of course without sound then close my laptop lid. When I open the lid again the computer would have sound again. If I reboot my laptop again the sound would be gone once again. Plz help me   Thank you!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Laptop-sound-is-not-working-properly/td-p/5849256
Relevancy 59.34%

i have a problem with my laptop some keys doesn't work, the key "T", "Y" sudnly my keyboard is PS/2 Standard

A:laptop keys are not working properly

Hi Welcome to Seven Forums .. Have you tried Re-installing the Software ? ...Is this a USB Keyboard or the actual keyboard on your Laptop ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/340762-laptop-keys-not-working-properly.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Keyboard on laptop is not functioning properly Many keys will not type and others take a shortcut into other programs not requested keyboard laptop working properly on not I ran malwarebytes anti malware and Hijack this- notations listed keyboard on laptop not working properly below Computer currently runs zonealarm for antivirus and spyware- nothing found Windows XP See below Malwarebytes Anti-Malware www malwarebytes org Database version Windows Service Pack Internet Explorer AM mbam-log- - - - - txt Scan type Quick scan Objects scanned Time elapsed minute s second s Memory Processes Infected Memory Modules Infected Registry Keys Infected Registry Values Infected Registry Data Items Infected Folders Infected Files Infected Memory Processes Infected No malicious items detected Memory Modules Infected No malicious items detected Registry Keys Infected No malicious items detected Registry Values Infected No malicious items detected Registry Data Items Infected No malicious items detected Folders Infected No malicious items detected Files Infected No malicious items detected Hijack this Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exe C WINDOWS System WLTRYSVC EXE C WINDOWS System bcmwltry exe C Program Files CheckPoint ZAForceField IswSvc exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS eHome ehRecvr exe C WINDOWS eHome ehSched exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files LogMeIn x RaMaint exe C Program Files LogMeIn x LogMeIn exe C Program Files LogMeIn x LMIGuardian exe C Program Files Maxtor Sync SyncServices exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG mdm exe C Program Files Microsoft LifeCam MSCamS exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Viewpoint Common ViewpointService exe C WINDOWS system dllhost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS ehome ehtray exe C WINDOWS system WLTRAY exe C WINDOWS eHome ehmsas exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C WINDOWS system igfxsrvc exe C Program Files SigmaTel C-Major Audio WDM stsystra exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD DX PDVDDXSrv exe C Program Files Maxtor OneTouch Status maxmenumgr exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Share-to-Web hpgs wnd exe C Program Files LogMeIn x LogMeInSystray exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C PROGRA HEWLET HPSHAR hpgs wnf exe C Program Files LogMeIn x LMIGuardian exe C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Documents and Settings Jeff Clair Local Settings Application Data Google Update GoogleCrashHandler exe C Program Files Skype Phone Skype exe C Program Files AIM aim exe C Program Files ooVoo oovoo exe C Program Files AIM aolsoftware exe C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm MailFrontier mantispm exe C Program Files CheckPoint ZAForceField ForceField exe C Program Files Skype Plugin Manager skypePM exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbam exe C WINDOWS system NOTEPAD EXE C WINDOWS system NOTEPAD EXE C PROGRA MICROS Office OUTLOOK EXE C Program Files Microsoft Office OFFICE WINWORD EXE C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C WINDOWS system utilman exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C WINDOWS system msiexec exe C Program Files Trend Micro HiJackThis HiJackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software ... Read more

Relevancy 59.34%

Hello hi im lili b any my toupad isnt working right the dang strolling up or down wont work and I cant fix it I have an hp pavilion dv4 1435dx could someone help mi find the orrect driver that could fix it

A:Laptop touchpad is not working properly

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=3979336&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

You should find the drivers you need here. Click on next By the windows 7 64 bit box.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-touchpad-is-not-working-properly.194368/
Relevancy 59.34%

My laptop HP 450 g3. Its brand new and only 5 days before i bought it. When i turn it on, it states the fan is not working correctly, then shuts down after 15 seconds or continues to windows if you press enter. Now what should i do ? Please help.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Laptop-cooling-fan-not-working-properly/td-p/5826680
Relevancy 59.34%

My scrolling up and down option of touch pad is not working what should I do...?

A:My laptop touchpad is not working properly

Are you referring to the the right side scroll bars on laptop touch pads that allow you to scroll up and down pages?

Try updating the driver for your touchpad and see if that helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-touchpad-is-not-working-properly.201621/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi Can anyone help me Most of my desktop icons aren t displayed properly and I can t access the programmes eg I double click on Internet explorer and nothing happens I am connected to wireless router I working properly Laptop displaying or not shortcuts ve installed a new norton Internet security programme and done a Laptop shortcuts not displaying properly or working scan which says no threats found The norton icon Laptop shortcuts not displaying properly or working on the desktop isn t working either accessed it fm bottom right corner of desktop to run the scan When I double click a desktop icon eg google desktop I get a message saying the path doesn t exist When I double click on the toshiba assist icon I get a message saying the item tintouch exe that this short cut refers to has been changed or removed so this shortcut will no longer work properly Do u want to delete this shortcut I click no I get the same message when I double click on aol icon I m totally stuck - I can t access windows help and support either nothing happens when I double click on it Sally nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-shortcuts-not-displaying-properly-or-working.1078974/
Relevancy 58.91%

So, i bought this computer awhile ago, and i noticed now that my speakers aint working well. The sound reproduced by them sometimes (usually when I switch the computer on they are working well) is laggy, crashes and does strange noises. The volume also goes down significantly. The problem doesn't seem to happen with headphones plugged in. Any tip of what i should do to fix this problem? Thank you.

A:My laptop sound inst working properly.

Hi, Can you post back with the full Model No. and Product No. of your Omen - you can usually get this by holding down the fn key and pressing esc, otherwise see Here for a guide on locating this information. Regards, DP-K 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/My-laptop-sound-inst-working-properly/td-p/5793440
Relevancy 58.91%

I just reformatted the HDD on my girlfriends laptop and now the touchpad mouse is not working properly. The scroll wheel doesn't work and when scrolling down on a web page with the keyboard it goes step by step. Are their any settings that I need tochange to make it work right?

A:Laptop touchpad mouse is not working properly

Some touchpads require specific drivers installed. Did you install these from the manufacturer? This is the integrated one on the laptop not add-in devices?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-touchpad-mouse-is-not-working-properly.421227/
Relevancy 58.91%

Preliminaries on working laptop Connection not Wireless properly first Wireless Connection on laptop not working properly Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Atom TM CPU N GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Mobile Intel Wireless Connection on laptop not working properly R Express Chipset Family Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard MEDION E Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled Hi I wonder if anyone can help me with a computer issue I ve recently been having The Wireless Network Connection on my Wireless Connection on laptop not working properly laptop doesn t seem to working properly When I boot it up I can see the Wirless network icon is animated in the task bar and after what seems like ages sometimes I get a connection When I check the strength sometimes it indicates it s good if I m practically sitting on top of the router this seems to eventually degrade to low until finally the connection drops Repairing with XP repair facility doesn t work I can forget about getting a connection if I move further away from the router At the moment I m relying on using an ethernet cable snaking across the dining room which isn t really practical with a toddler and a dog racing around Recently a friend put a bigger HD in and before this it was working fine so I suspect that it may be due to this I think it s due to the wirless card in the laptop as I have a number of other devices in the house which all work fine I have tried some things after digging around on the internet inc this http support microsoft com kb and a number of suggestions suggested on youtube Thanks for taking the time to look at my post nbsp

Relevancy 58.91%

Hi everyone I recently was given a Toshiba Satellite by my father-in-law The screen stopped working and he said that if i could fix it i could have it After replacing the CCFL tube and getting it to work i started to mess around w it and noticed that the speakers will work and i can hear music and sound but it is barely audible Of course i tried to manipulate the sound through the control panel application as well as media player or anything like that The sound would increase and decrease and i altered the setting but as i stated before Speakers Working Laptop Properly Not Toshiba the highest it will Toshiba Laptop Speakers Not Working Properly go with the bar at its max is still barely audible The Toshiba s model number is -S It has a Pentium GHz processor with ram It is running XP home ed with sp which i had to install once i got the monitor working and it has a Yamaha ac-xg wdm audio device with harman kardon speakers Any help or advice is greatly appreciated Thank you much much nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/toshiba-laptop-speakers-not-working-properly.642838/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hey folks,
I have Lenovo G500s windows 10 laptop Whenever I plug in my headphones to laptop, sometimes sound comes from laptop speakers and sometimes sound comes from my headphone. I had re-installed audio drivers and I even tried with new earphones, but still problem persists. Please help me out to identify why my laptop is behaving is this? I am facing this problem even before updating to windows 10.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-audio-jack-not-working-properly.1158530/
Relevancy 58.05%

Re:  Pavilion g series/Windows 7 HP laptop My son was typing on Word and all of a sudden the keys stopped typing letters  and numbers.  The keys sometimes open up other windows when hit or indent.  It happens on any search window, too, so it isn't just word.   We are unable to type anything.  I'm afraid to turn off the computer and start it up as we may not be able to type in the password!  the touchpad is working and I can see the cursor.  For example, when I type "h" into a seach box nothing happens.  When I try "i" it moves it over about 10 spaces (indents?) but nothing appears.  The backspace works.I think he may have hit something to change the settings but I can't figure it out.    

A:Keyboard not working properly on HP laptop - Pavilion g seri...

I restarted the computer and it is working properly!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Keyboard-not-working-properly-on-HP-laptop-Pavilion-g-series/td-p/1480573
Relevancy 58.05%

I purchased my Laptop 8 months ago with Windows 8.  Worked perfectly. Upgraded to Windows 10 after 1 week, and still worked perfectly for 7 months.Now the mouse and the touch screen does not work properly.If I hook up external mouse, it works perfectly.Tried to resolve with HP support, but after getting cut off on the support line 3 X finally talked to support who said it is a Windows 10 issue with their drivers, even though it worked perfectly on Windows 10 for 7 months.Told me it is not a hardware issue, even though it obviously is, works perfectly with an exteranl mouse, and that I would have to pay $100 for him to supoort looking at the OS Drivers.Should I do a wipe, re-install Windows 8, and then phone to get support since HP will not support any issues if you are running Windows 10?Thank you

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-Laptop-mouse-amp-touch-screen-not-working-properly/td-p/5763162
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi I'm John and I'm having major problems here I have been using a laptop for awhile and it's been working great I not working properly Laptop Headphone (Win7) output have been using my pair of headphones for my laptop and they've been working great as well However after a bit I noticed that the audio was not working really good I thought it was the headphones until I tried more pairs they did the same thing The problem is that when I'm listening to a song one part of Laptop Headphone output not working properly (Win7) the audio I can hear clearly but the rest the majority of the song is either faint or muffled This happens when I put the headphone jack all the way in the output When I take it out some the majority of the song audio I can hear clearly but the other parts I can barely hear This really annoys me and it really bothers me Is their any professional or half-assed way to fix this My headphones were loud and clear before but now out of nowhere I can't hear of anything I listen to Can I get any help I'd appreciate it greatly This happened randomly and I'd like some answers I have good hopes in replies

A:Laptop Headphone output not working properly (Win7)

Have you tried messing around in there at all? It should recognize where your headphones are plugged in and give you options to control them. Are you plugging into the front panel or the rear panel for audio on the headphones? Have you tried both???

samsung galaxy s5 case

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/333887-laptop-headphone-output-not-working-properly-win7.html
Relevancy 57.62%

So my computer was around 6 years old and it finally gave out on me and rather then fix it I've decided to just buy a new one. However it has been a month since I backed up anything and there are things still on the hard drive I need.

My question is if I buy a External Enclosure for my current hard drive in the case and plug it in via USB, would I be able to click and drag files over into the new computer? Both computers have windows 7 installed.

A:External HD Enclosure help?

Yes. Things may be organized a little differently then you are used to seeing, but yes, you can still do it just fine.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/99780-external-hd-enclosure-help.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello Everyone I have a bit of a problem I recently purchased a mad dog mega vault hd enclosure for an old computer of mine In it I have a gb seagated hd When I hooked up the usb cable to the computer windows xp is supposed to recognize and install it according to the manual Then i am supposed to go to control panel administrative Enclosure!!!!! with HD external Help tools disk management and then the new disk wizard is supposed to launch to let me formatt the drive Well the problem I m haveing is when i go to disk management the drive is not Help with external HD Enclosure!!!!! listed and the new disk wizard never appears The drive is spinning and is powered It worked in my other computer I found the the device under hardware profiles and it is listed as working properly The only other message I got was that the device was connected to a hi-speed usb cable There are no hi-speed ports on the computer and that the device would not fuction at full speed I understand that but it still should function I need Help nbsp

A:Help with external HD Enclosure!!!!!

Hi and welcome to Techspot. Please post your system specs here so we can better assist you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-external-hd-enclosure.65984/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hiya... I've just bought a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 400GB UDMA100 7200rpm 8MB. And I want an external drive enclosure for it. Could anyone reccomennd one that I can buy from the uk, since ive heard that if you buy the wrong enclosure, your HD space can be capped at 137Gb

Thanks

A:HD and External Enclosure

Here are all kinds of enclosures.

http://www.computergate.com/products/prodlist.cfm?prodseq=B1C1EC

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hd-and-external-enclosure.456808/
Relevancy 57.62%

What the thread title says I'm looking to buy ASAP a new HD enclosure or two Thing is I don't know much about to what HD USB External buy?? enclosure: (not) what is available even less about what to avoid or look for in a modern external enclosure Just as a sort of pointer for your upcoming kind advices here's the HD USB External enclosure: what (not) to buy?? list of features I'm currently checking while browsing online catalogs -- in no specific order those between brackets are not mandatory ie all the others ARE quot case thus supporting both quot and quot drives Power status LED indicator just hate not having a clue when I look directly at it whether it's ON or not Activity Read Write LED indicator same thing here not being able to tell whether a drive is currently working resting or stuck -- which happens -- should always be a NO GO It is for me anyways NB these LED indicators can perfectly be replaced by just one lighted ON blinking Working ON OFF Physical Power switch Automatic standby restart Not contradictory to the above feature this only allows the enclosure WHEN the switch is ON tu be able to manage itself according to the state of the computer it's plugged to automatically putting itself in standby mode whenever the computer itself is being turned OFF or into standby mode and restarting itself automatically along with the comp Cooling fan Not mandatory but damn near necessary for me since a few of my -- admittedly older -- drives can overheat past C sometimes If the enclosure doesn't come with its own fan I'll have to use a third party one anyway Easy HD-swapping Just the overall ease of use of the enclosure and how fast it is to remove an HD and plug another one into it -- which I tend to do a LOT as I have big storage drives each dedicated to its own type of content Support - USB - SATA III - UASP USB Attached SCSI Protocol - gt TB NB I could well assume that most if not all recent enclosures must now support above TB capacity but assuming being the shortest path to getting all wrong I'd rather have it confirmed Plus what about even greater capacities TB drives are available nowadays -- is there even bigger so are these well supported in general by recent enclosures too - SMART technology same comment as above -- it most prolly IS standard to all enclosures nowadays but what do I know Only that at least of the enclosures I bought in the past just DIDN'T support it which tended to infuriate me to no end BTW how can you be supposed to be ok with being left blind concerning the health of your drive therefore your data All kinds of advices are welcome here - Does my prerequisite feature-list above lacks something important useful or just geeky-cool in your opinion - Do you know of an enclosure matching my requirements you'd like to recommend - On the contrary do you know of an enclosure a series or even a manufacturer that should be avoided at all cost Thank you so much to anyone pointing me in the right direction s for my purchase

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/381745-hd-usb-external-enclosure-what-not-buy.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Good day Expert, I just wanna ask for compatible model of HDD external usb enclosure  enable to read the file directly to the computer.Device: Desktop server mini HDD.
HP Model: DG146BAAJBHP P/N: 459512-002S/N: [personal information removed] Thank you..

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HDD-External-USB-enclosure/td-p/5586150
Relevancy 57.62%

I need to get an enclosure for my old 3.5 HDD's and I was wondering if this is any good:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0315687

Relevancy 57.62%

I'm having a major issue with my current external hard drive enclosures standard mechanic drives that I'm USB HDD external 4-bay Looking 3.0 enclosure for a trying to resolve in another thread so I won't go into that here Lost access to drive - quot Access is Denied quot Basically on my new PC my current enclosures are either not connecting or dropping out corrupting my drives I lost a ton of data already I have several Icy Dock Black Vortex enclosures and two Looking for a 4-bay USB 3.0 external HDD enclosure older Mediasonics The Icy Docks are both USB and esata One Mediasonic is USB only and one is esata only All are -bay enclosures So I'm trying to find a good enclosure that will play nice with my Gigabyte Z x Gaming- motherboard I have USB on the motherboard plus I have a RocketRaid esata card installed The chipset of the motherboard is Intel Z Gigabyte suspects that the older enclosures might not be playing nice with the new chipset of my new motherboard Icy Dock thinks differently and suspects it's my old WD Green drives at fault But there are very few affordable -bay enclosures available Mediasonic makes one that is almost identical to my current Mediasonics except they are both USB and esata now I tried a Mediasonic USB a couple years ago on my old PC and the USB didn't work at all with my old USB card so I returned it Maybe now it would work better on my motherboard's built-in USB ports I dislike the cooling in the Mediasonics so I wish there was a better alternative Can anybody recommend any other external USB -bay enclosures I have no idea what's causing my enclosure issues but to troubleshoot I need another unit and there seems to be a lack of affordable -bay enclosures to choose from Any suggestions would be appreciated The Mediasonic I'm looking at is here https www amazon com Mediasonic-HF dp B X VV

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/67366-looking-4-bay-usb-3-0-external-hdd-enclosure.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Have an external maxtor HD enclosure that got separated from its walwart. .
Have many surplus ac adapters. What voltage do external HD cases use?
Thanks

A:external hd enclosure

plschwartz,
the psu in your pc is 12vdc and 5vdc,
[the yellow and red wires on an ide hd supply],
ok???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hd-enclosure.693643/
Relevancy 57.62%

Here s is the situation I ve purchased an eagle Consus external external hdd enclosure hard drive enclosure I have this unit attached to a Windows XP sp It recognized the unit and tells me that the unit is attached to a usb that is not a port a is what it is When I goto Management under the My computer icon I can see that there are my main Hdd c external hdd enclosure recovery disk d cd drive e dvd drive f removable drive h used to be drive g disk and disk unknown allocation When I right click on the drive and try to initialze the drive a second dialog box comes up asking which disk I selected disk because it is the only one that is listed there After I selected the drive the dialog box goes away and then I right click on the disk and it is supposed to allow me to quot new Partition quot the drive This does not I will post a video later on to further explain myself to that you will be able to quot see quot what I mean Thank you for your time external hdd enclosure and input Luther nbsp

Relevancy 57.62%

My computer is an HP Pavilion G laptop Windows Home Premium bit I've recently went through a lot of problems with this computer specifically a corrupt user profile so I ended up doing a factory reset or something in that nature that fixed properly on Home disabled/not Keys working laptop keyboard the problem but it wiped everything off my computer Before the reset occasionally Home Keys on laptop keyboard disabled/not working properly my keyboard would just disable and go into this mode where certain keys opened a variety of programs and I had to shut off restart the computer to fix it But the keys worked fine it was just when the keyboard went crazy was when the keys didn't work But now a week or two after the reset I Home Keys on laptop keyboard disabled/not working properly went on my computer and the home keys and the enter key were disabled and I did some online research and a lot say that the keyboard is shot and you have to replace it The strangest thing was this morning actually I went on the computer and went to type and found the home keys were Home Keys on laptop keyboard disabled/not working properly actually working I left for a bit to start my morning and then came back woke the computer up and turned on the internet and found the keys disabled again I explained that story because it could be something involved with the computer's sleep function or its internet as a maybe Heres a list of some of my computer specs Computer HP Pavilion G Notebook PC x Processor AMD - M APU with Radeon tm HD Graphics Mhz Cores Logical Processors BIOS Version Date Insyde F SMBIOS Version Installed Physical Memory RAM GB I really need help I have no idea how to fix this Thanks in advance J

A:Home Keys on laptop keyboard disabled/not working properly

firstly I would recommend downloading and installing all of the latest drivers for you laptop. especially any chipset and or ones directly related to the keyboard (most laptop keyboards use default windows ones so theres nothing to update, but laptops with hot keys and multimedia keys tend to use their own)

something else you can do is plug in a usb keyboard and test it, if the same keys on a usb keyboard dont work its not hardware related.
simply googling G7 keyboard throws up hundreds of user complaints so its not exactly a first time event theyve known to fail.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/318329-home-keys-laptop-keyboard-disabled-not-working-properly.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Any help on this error:

Unknown USB device(device descriptor failed) is not working properly???

Ever since the windows 10 download..error in my windows device manager..only my usb 3.0 works

Dell laptop

A:Solved: Unknown USB device is not working properly on dell laptop

Sorry guys...My 2.0 Port was bad...I am closing this..I had to re download my 3.0 USB drivers after my windows 10 update, and that went fine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-unknown-usb-device-is-not-working-properly-on-dell-laptop.1153058/
Relevancy 57.19%

I'm running Windows Vista and I am trying to run a seagate external harddrive. The device manager says its working properly, the drivers are up to date, etc. but when I go into my computer it is not showing up. The harddrive is unformatted- I use it on both Macs and PCs.

A:External Harddrive "Working Properly" but not in browser

If the hard drive is unformatted, then it wouldn't show up in my computer. You need to format the hard drive. Right click my computer and go to manage. In the Management console go to disk management and format your hard drive. If you say you use it on both macs and pcs, then it is formatted and you can try to assign it a drive letter. If it's formatted for Mac, you'll need to install MacDrive or something similar to access the files.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/236282-external-harddrive-working-properly-but-not-browser.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi 5.25 enclosure external combo to all you computer enthusiest I have a unusual problem installing my new enclosure which i installed a LG brand super multi dvd rw optical 5.25 combo external enclosure drive it an also be used for a or hdd installed What I m trying to do is back up my data which is over gb of data using the dvd rw drive I have it hooked up via a usb port on my Gateway Solo laptop When i plugged everything up amp turned it on i got a message not a error message it said You will need a usb high-speed host controller to obtain maximum performance Did nt exactly know what this was since i ve never perform this 5.25 combo external enclosure procedure before using this external enclosure I went to Ebay to see what it was amp it was a card for a desktop pc I was wondering what i need to do or if its possible to perform this w my laptop I read a post here that was back in about a similar problem performing this It said something about a 5.25 combo external enclosure firewall configuration or something to that effect This is a new type procedure to me i have computers in my household I laptop amp the other are desktops I have done backup on all amp created a file amp saved them but wanted to do this procedure w this device I have alot of hdd s lying around for desktops that i can use to store data to if i need to i suppose i could use this enclosure for this if need be Question is is there a way to backup my data from my laptop using this enclosure amp how do I go about it Thanks for any input on this concern I am in desperate need of performing this before desaste strikes i do believe though my hdd in my laptop is on its last leg The laptop is my main concern as of now nbsp

A:5.25 combo external enclosure

silverstreak60 said:

What I'm trying to do is back up my data which is over 2gb of data
You will need a usb high-speed host controller to obtain maximum performance.Click to expand...

The message means Windows detected that you have a high speed USB 2.0 interface in the external enclosure and a slower USB 1.1 interface on the computer. The data transfer will take place using the slower USB 1.1 standard maximum speed of 12 Mbits-per-second, or about 1.5 MBytes per second

FYI, USB 2.0 maximum is 40x faster at 480 Mbits-per-second

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/5-25-combo-external-enclosure.591520/
Relevancy 57.19%

I am having a rough time finding an Enclosure for my older hard drive.
Its from my old laptop that died on me and I really need the data from the old hard drive.
I tried Tiger.com but they recommended the wrong item.
The old hard drive is..
.Hitachi..Travelstar...Model # HTS548080M9AT00
....54RPM....ATA / IDE
Any advice on where I could buy the correct enclosure to do the job would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

A:External enclosure question

If you choose to continue to use the drive for external storage this is all you need (not the best quality but it works).
http://www.amazon.com/External-Port...B002AQ5DC2/ref=pd_vtp_e_3/182-1190678-7878961

If you just want the data off of it and you are transferring it to a new HDD I would get something like this since it will have more future uses.
http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISA...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328297702&sr=1-2

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-enclosure-question.177058/
Relevancy 57.19%

So my GF's brother has this problem I am looking into:

He bought an external HD to put in an enclosure. Some how the mini USB port came off (no clue how). He said he tried to put it in another enclosure but when he hooked it up to the PC it would read it but there would be no data on it. Of course he didn't back up so I am now trying to recover this data. I am out of town so I don't have my normal tools so I am trying to figure out why the HD would be show no data. Thanks for your help!

Relevancy 57.19%

I'm interested in building my own external hdd very soon. My only question though is can anyone recommend a good enclosure?

I need a case with firewire ports AND a cooling fan as this HDD will not only be used for backup, but for long session usage. I found this one on ebay for like $25.99 + shipping:

3.5" SATA Hard Drive Enclosure Case USB + Firewire 1394 | eBay

http://www.amazon.com/Firewire-Combo...pr_product_top

I want to do this for as cheap as possible, but I also don't want something so cheap that it may ruin my HDD. Would you guys go with this one or are there any alternatives you could suggest?

Thanks!

A:External HDD Enclosure Question

Here's one for a buck if you want it. I recommend against it though. :P
3.5 inch SATA IDE HDD Anti-Static Storage tank Box Case | eBay

Anyway, did you sort results by 'Price+Shipping lowest first'? I find that gives me better, cheaper results in a more convenient way. And that case you're looking at now doesn't look too bad. It looks a bit ugly and outdated but performance-wise.... it should do the job.

Also check out this Amazon.com search as well as a cheap case I found on it.
Amazon.com: sata 3.5 firewire

There is also a site I was recently shown called PriceGrabber. It prices for certain products. I'll include a search links for 3.5" HDD enclosures as well as a couple of results.
Enclosures | Latest Enclosures Reviews and Prices | PriceGrabber.com
macally G-S350SUA Hard Drive Enclosure Listings and Reviews | [PriceGrabber.com
macally PHR-S100SUA Hard Drive Enclosure Listings and Reviews | [PriceGrabber.com

Hope that helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/166556-external-hdd-enclosure-question.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Why would someone buy a ide external case instead of a sata one? Wouldn't it be faster with a sata drive?

A:External enclosure question

They want to use IDE devices? The majority of hard drives out there are still IDE and you can also connect IDE optical drives. And really, if you are buying an external hard drive, then speed is not one of your major concerns.

The drive interface speed has very little effect on real performance - the bottleneck is the drive mechanics, not the electronics. SATA drives are slightly faster in general simply because they are newer (and feature more sophisticated mechanics), not because they are SATA. A high end ATA drive (Raptor ) will beat the majority of SATA drives hands down.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-enclosure-question.57869/
Relevancy 57.19%

I got one of those USB-to-IDE thingamajigs External Question HD Enclosure to extract data from old hard drives I have about old ATA IDE hard drives going back years This gadget only worked with two of the drives I tried everything to get it to work on the other drives but came External HD Enclosure Question up with nothing My laptop registers that a hard drive has been plugged in but nothing shows up in My Computer or Disk Management so I can t access the hard drives These USB-to-Ide cables have a bad reputation so I m not surprised that it has proven to be an unreliable product Would my chances of success increase if I invested in an external hard drive enclosure And do any of you have any recommendations for particular models There are so many of them I don t know where to begin I usually shop at Newegg so if you could give me a recommendation from that site I would appreciate it Something in the - range BTW my old hard drives are from - years old so I need an external enclosure that is compatible with the kind of hard drive shown below nbsp

Relevancy 57.19%

Hello All,
Without giving too much background info... i have the hard drive from my old laptop (running on XP) in an external closure. My new laptop (running on Vista) recognizes the hard drive, installs drivers, and it shows up in the Disk Management folder... but in the "Computer" folder to access to drive it doesn't appear. I've tried rebooting several times and starting in safe mode but no luck. In searching the internet, this is a common problem for people running Vista, but I have not found any resolution for this. Thanks in advance for any help.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-enclosure-problem-175584.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I bought this enclosure a couple years ago, because I got a new computer and wanted to use my old HDDs for storage and stuff. I also used it to copy old data I needed to my new computer. I used it once, left it exactly as I hooked it up, and put the thing away into storage. No one has touched it since.

Well I went today to use it again, and I connected all the cables and my computer picked it up, but when I got the message it was all gibberish. Like 8d█ 1 A)) ▌ or something. It wouldn't show up under My Computer under any category. It was under device manager though with the weird symbols and combinations of letters and numbers though. I hooked it up to a different computer and same thing. I put my ear to it and it sounds like it is running fine.

Any ideas?

Relevancy 57.19%

Hi,

I'm planning on buying a new external USB hard drive and I'm looking to get one from this list here that supports Seagate drives:

http://www.supergooddeal.com/category_s/48.htm

Reason being that I can get a Seagate 400 GB USB drive for only $185, way cheaper than any other site. I don't know too much about external enclosures though so could someone recommend me one from this site? I'm guessing I should pay a few bucks more for one with a fan? Thanks

A:Buying external enclosure

i have this one,can't go wrong for $15 and it has a fan http://www.supergooddeal.com/Cintre_CI_330U2_BK_ZDisc_3_5_inch_Aluminum_Externa_p/ci-330u2-bk-xx.htm Built from aluminum

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/buying-external-enclosure.491085/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hello,

I have been investigating this and i need to know if anybody has any ideas for this. I have a lot of data that i would like to backup and make redundant. But i want it to be in some kind of external enclosure so that i can take it from computer to computer if needed. Basically i would like an external raid 5 enclosure with the raid hardware built into the enclosure so wherever i took the enclosure, the data would be in the raid5 array already.

Thoughts, ideas?

Thanks,
Ray

A:External Raid5 Enclosure

Build your own here...
Build a Cheap and Fast RAID 5 NAS
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/cheap-fast-diy-raid-5-nas,review-779.html

Or buy one
http://www.nextag.com/raid-5-nas/search-html

Or search for more options
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=NAS+RaID+5&btnG=Search

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-raid5-enclosure.122603/
Relevancy 57.19%

I connected my external 2 disc enclosure (NexStar MX) with 2 TB and 1.5 TB HDDs.
Windows XP recognizes the enclosure perfectly. Windows 7, 64 bit Manage shows "Invalid Discs". What shall I do? I am shocked and frustrated. Do I have to format the discs?! They are almost full. Did anybody come across with this issue? What is the solution? I tried NexStar in another PC with Win XP - both HDDs are recognized.
Please help.

A:Win 7 does not recognize 2 TB in external enclosure?

Would this help you?
How to fix “Invalid Disk” error in Windows 7 | Mike Norman's Blog

This would assume that the drives are tagged as Dynamic disks. You could also check this out in Disk Management on the XP machine.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/135781-win-7-does-not-recognize-2-tb-external-enclosure.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I'm looking for a Hard Drive enclosure.. trying to find one with these options:

1) USB 2.0/1.1 and Firewire connectors
2) Supports 120gb+ HDD (3.5inch)
3) If possible, powered by computer and not an AC adapter (so I can carry it around with my laptop)
4) Won't get really hot.

I've been shopping around at newegg but am someone unsure of what to get.

Relevancy 57.19%

Am in the market for an external enclosure and have noticed some are SATA and some IDE.

Know that SATA is newer/faster and am concerned that if I buy IDE enclosure, eventually I won't be able to find IDE hard drive to fill it due to discontinuance.

Concern unfounded? Will IDE always be around?

Thanks.

A:External enclosure: IDE phaseout?

Well it won't always be around but it will be around for some. I don't think I'd be too concerned.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-enclosure-ide-phaseout.640731/
Relevancy 57.19%

I just put together my external This Enclosure Really External Nice HDD Is A drive and I have to say this thing is beautiful I ordered a quot Apricorn EZ Bus DTS quot SATA Backup System quot from Newegg and well worth it Very strong and stylish all aluminum enclosure with a big and quiet mm fan mounted under the HDD that sucks air in from two low profile mesh grills in front and exhausts it out the back Very very quiet while operating and keeps everything incredibly cool Holds a quot SATA HDD only Don t have SATA no problem it comes with a SATA PCI card and software upgrade time for you IDE guys plus different backup utilities I mated it with a GB WD- Caviar SATA HDD MB buffer from Directron on sale and I have an incredibly high quality backup HDD for total This is about what a prebuilt external - GB HDD This Is A Really Nice HDD External Enclosure is going for on sale and they mostly get terrible reviews While operating the crimson on light glows from the intake mesh screens for a really classy appearance Sits flat or on it s side with an included stand FWIW and a out of stars from me nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/this-is-a-really-nice-hdd-external-enclosure.23750/
Relevancy 57.19%

My hubby has a new PC running Windows Home Premium bit His old machine was my old XP machine so I thought I could use that drive in an enclosure for him to use for backup purposes Son-in-law got me Problem External Enclosure with the enclosure its a Pluscom IDE to USB Enclosure I've put the drive in it's a Western Digital GB Problem with External Enclosure one but when connecting to his machine it goes through the process of installing Problem with External Enclosure the device drivers but after a time comes up with a box saying it failed and it's not recognised In Device Manager it just shows in the USB list as an Unknown Device and I can't see it anywhere it doesn't show up in Disk Management at all Thought I'd try it in my machine which Problem with External Enclosure is bit but the same problem although in Device Manager it does actually say it's a Mass Storage Device but it has the yellow mark and I can't see it to do anything with it Has anyone got any ideas on what I can try the drive still has XP installed on it which of course I want to wipe out so he has an empty drive to use for backing up his files

A:Problem with External Enclosure

Joan , I have used Sea Tools by Seagate. Its a bootable dvd that you build from a download. And also I have used Partition Wizard to format the drive that windows couldn't seem to offer the option.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/159148-problem-external-enclosure.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hello,

I hope someone can advise about this question I have. I already have 2 external enclosures I use. One for a external hard drive, my 3rd. Second for an external DVD writer I am using. I need a external enclosure for a Digi Deck that converts music tapes (cassette) to digital format (wav, and mp3). The problem is that it fits easily into a 5.25 external enclosure but I need a opening in the enclosure to put or place a add in card the hooks up to the 20 pin cable that runs off the Digi Deck. Then you hook up the Digi Deck unit via the add in card to you PC's sound card. Any advise would be appreciated. I can't find anything online. My only thought is to cut into the side of a regular external enclosure (messy).

Thank you,

Peter

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-enclosure-question.454146/
Relevancy 57.19%

I have a new Lenova Flex 15 with a 128gb ssd. Windows 8 + 8.1 upgrade took more space than I anticipated, about 50% with all the bloat that came with the lap top. I want to add a external drive and have two 2.5" drives on hand. Looking online I see the low cost (cheap) enclosures from China, most have good feed back from users. I like the a Rockfish unit I saw on Amazon but reading feed back it has a flimsy usb port, needs two ports for power and some have reported it's not compatible with Win 8. What are you all using for a 2.5" enclosure? Needs to be usb 3.0 and prefer a single port model.

A:External sata/usb 3.0 enclosure

Are you looking for an actual enclosure or a dock? An enclosure more or less permanently encases the drive. A dock is a fixture that one can easily plug and unplug the drive in and out of. People often use the term enclosure when they mean a dock, hence the query.

An example of an enclosure (the HDD fits inside):

(Btw, I do not recommend this enclosure. I have one but don't use it because the USB3.0 B connector on the enclosure is a bit fiddly and the HDD kept dropping out on me.)

Example of a dock:

Docks come in different types. I have a couple of cute little USB 2.0 powered docks that hold one 2.5" HDD. The cable that comes with it has two USB connectors on the computer end. One is for power only and the other is for both power and the USB buss. This is because many older computers, especially laptops, etc. didn't have enough power on each USB ports. Newer computers tend to have more power. I use the docks with the little 15" Lenovo G570 and they are capable of running a 7200 rpm 2.5" HDD on just one port.

Most docks, such as the one illustrated here (it was the first picture I found) will take both 2.5" and 3.5" drives. Those have to have a power supply to power them so only one USB port would be needed to connect. Docks can also hold more than one drive. those also need a power supply but also need only one USB connection. E-SATA is also use to connect docks to computers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/313093-external-sata-usb-3-0-enclosure.html
Relevancy 57.19%

It should be IDE, 3.5, have a cooling fan, be fast, USB connection, and be able to power down the hd when not in use, if they can do that, and should be under $50 if possible. (And preferably from Newegg.)

This will be connected to my OPPO 980 dvd player by USB port and is used for playing DIVX files.

Thanks much,
Harold

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hd-enclosure-recommendation.741507/
Relevancy 57.19%

i've got an internal dvdrom, but I will be using it externally. I do not want to buy the enclosure for it because it will not fit into the space i'm putting it in, so I was wondering if I can wire it up myself.
so, i guess my question is if anyone knows how it is done inside the real enclosures (how ATA is converted to usb and 4 pin power cable is substituted with 110V).

thanks,
dima

A:making my own external enclosure

You can't convert the ATA to USB without an adapter and some drivers. Here is an adapter (only 1 I could find)

http://www.buy.com/retail/Product_j...eD&Keyword=10338914&Category=Comp&dcaid=17260

And you will need a power supply for your cabinet as well. Look up mini ITX power supplies on google.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/making-my-own-external-enclosure.191576/
Relevancy 57.19%

I recently decided to start backing up my computer files. I read somewhere you can copy your drive so that way is something goes wrong with your main drive you can still boot from the backup.

I have a Biostar P4M80-m4 Mobo, Windows xp is installed. I was wondering if I backed up to an external enclosure could I boot from that in case something happened to the main drive?

The program I plan on used is R-Drive Image Since it has a 15d trial. I'm using the copy disk feature.

The external enclosure is a next tech

Thanks.

Relevancy 57.19%

OS Windows XP pro SP Athlon and and Asus CSM board The enclosure uses SATA connected directly to my computer and using an external power supply I d like to know what is the quot correct way quot to connect it I connected it like USB external enclosure and it used to work normally But recently when I turned it on it took very long to access I ve checked device manager the drive was detected right Enclosure OS Halting and External away after power on but I just cannot view or change the content inside Every action can takes a few minutes or even longer It can freeze the computer completely which even Ctrl alt del did not response But when I checked the task manager no process was occupying the resources I did a chkdsk which found only some minor errors and were fixed already It does not seems like a disk error to me anyway I also rolled back the OS using an image after a fresh External Enclosure and Halting OS install What is the problem Any advice welcomed Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 57.19%

Hi,

Having finally installed windows on my new hard drive. I am now trying to use my old hard drive in an external enclosure so that i can access all of my (important) data.

The drive doesn't seem to be showing up when turned on and plugged in via usb.

Does the drive HAVE to be formatted before it can be seen?? Dont want to format it as i wanted to keep all of the data on this drive if possible.

Many Thanks

A:Using old SATA HDD in external enclosure

Formatting the drive would erase the data.

When you plug the drive in using the USB connection does windows show that it is connecting a device? You should hear a sound and see something near the system time indicating a USB device was connected.

Go into Disk Management and see if you see the drive there.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/using-old-sata-hdd-in-external-enclosure-683999.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi all,

I?m replacing my current AC adapter for the external hard drive with enclosure with a new one. Here are the specs of the current one.
Input:100-240v 50-60Hz 1.2A
Output:5v=2A 12v=1.2A

The one I?m considering buying an adapter which has the following specs:
Input:100-240VAC 50-60Hz 1A
Output:12V=2A 5V=2A

Are these 2 adapters compatible in terms of Voltage and Ampere please. Will it work with my external HDD with enclosure? Thanks for your time.

A:External HDD with enclosure question

They look compatible. What about the plug. Is that the same.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/209664-external-hdd-enclosure-question.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I would like to get the top 3 recommended HDD enclosures. I plan to use a SATA drive I alrdy have and woulkd like it to be able to be plugged into my Linksys ea3500 N router and used for backup over the network. I am AT A LOSS of what to choose. Should it have a fan, or not? should it be usb 3.0 for future upgradibiltiy, or not?? Help???

Relevancy 57.19%

have a hdd in an external enclosure . keep getting "device cannot start code 10" how do i fix it????????????
thanx

Relevancy 57.19%

This is the Internal Drive from Seagate that I have decided to buy...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148140

I want to put it in an external USB HDD enclosure for backup purposes.

Does the enclosure need to have internal SATA circuitry? And do you recommend an enclosure with a fan?

Relevancy 57.19%

Hi everyone,

Heres my problem. I just bought a Cyberhome Internal DVD writer 16x DVD+-R/RW, +R DL, CD and being that my desktop computer is not working i ordered a Plumax(StorTecc is how it was advertised) USB 2.0 external enclosure to be able to use the burner with my laptop. I got the external unit and installed the DVD writer with no problem. I turn on my laptop and get the external USB unit installed but i have no idea about how to use the burner. When i look under device manager is just shows it as a USB Storage Adapter AT2 (TPP). So im at a loss as to what to do next. Has anyone had any experience with this type of problem or know what to do next. PLEASE HELP ME!!! Thank you for you time in helping with this problem. Have a nice day and god bless!

[email protected]

Relevancy 57.19%

I have an acomdata USB quot IDE HD enclosure which used to work just fine but now has a problem I ve put a Western Digital gig and gig inside both have the same issue OS X tells me that the external disfunctional enclosure drive must be initialized but when I try to do so in disk utility the program locks up I ve successfully formatted the drive using the OS X DVD as well as using a windows machine but the fix never lasted longer than a week The problems started occurring after I did a secure erase of the drives I didn t know just what I was doing but it doesn t make sense that a secure erase would render the drive unusable plus the drives disfunctional external enclosure work just fine in a different enclosure So right now OS X wants me disfunctional external enclosure to initialize and in disk utility the drive shows up as having vastly incorrect storage sizes I wish the drive was actually TB I ve tried to initialize through windows XP but when I click initialize absolutely nothing happens This seems to be a problem with the enclosure since the drives functioned normally in a different enclosure Any advice Powerbook G GHz OS X nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disfunctional-external-enclosure.432057/
Relevancy 57.19%

I am using a Philips USB SATA hard drive enclosure with my notebook w/Vista64 Home.

I have been using this to clone my primary drive as backup but I am now suddenly having problems with Hitachi drives not being recognized. I recently downloaded 19 Vista updates which could be just coincidental.

Assuming my Hitachi drive had failed (it is only 3 months old), I purchased another but it is also not recognized by Vista.

I do however, have an older Seagate SATA drive that is recognized immediately.

Thoughts?

A:USB external enclosure troubles

Do you know when this problem began? Try a System Restore to a point in time BEFORE the problem began. Here's the procedure: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/. Be sure to check the box to show more than 5 days of restore points. If the first attempt fails, then try an earlier point or two. NOTE: You will have to re-install any software and updates you installed between now and the restore point, but you can use Windows Update for the updates (well usually, but not in your case - you will need to do it manually as described below). Use the recovery disk if the system prompt doesn?t work. The recovery disk works a bit different from the above procedures but if you follow the prompts from the System Restore menu option with the above information you should be able to restore with no problems. This will probably (make that certainly) uninstall all those updates (and anything else you installed since the restore point), but if it solves the problem then we're on our way to a full solution and at least the Hitachi drives will be working again (I hope). If this doesn't resolve the problem with the Hitachi drives, then repost here and don't yet proceed as follows as something else is wrong (perhaps the updates weren't the problem after all despite the fact that it seems like the most likely cause) and needs to be addressed before dealing with the updates.

Try downloading and installing them manually by downloading them to your desktop and installing them one-by-one. Insert the KB number to get the right updates and choose the one appropriate for your version of Vista: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/default.aspx. Reboot after each one and confirm the Hitachi still functions. If you get through them all, then the System Restore resolved the problem and hopefully that's the end of it. If you find an update that causes the problem, you've found the culprit. Uninstall it and confirm the Hitachi works again. Continue on with the other updates to make sure it isn't more than one. Then the issue becomes that update and how to install it without causing the problem.

At that point, please repost your question (just the part about that update) in the Windows Update Forum at: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/threads where experts in updates will be happy to assist you. Please post with the info requested here: What to post in the Windows Update forum

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/282564-usb-external-enclosure-troubles.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Ok so I have a WD SATA hard drive in and external enclosure. Now I can't get it to connect to any PC. I took it to a repair shop and they said the drive might be corrupt. They tried connecting it directly via SATA cable and still no luck. The promising thing is the drive sounds good. It powers up fine. Spins good from what I can hear. I can even see it in my windows explorer but cannot access the drives. Also the drive is partitioned into 2 drives if that helps. Does anyone know if this is fixable? I really don't want to go to a data recovery place and pay over $500 when i think the problem is much simpler. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!

A:HELP! Can't access my external HD enclosure

If you can see it in Windows Explorer you should be able to run checkdisk on it in My Computer. Find the drive in My Computer, right click it and choose "Properties", "Tools," "Error Checking" and put checks in both boxes and then hit apply OK. If it says it has to reboot to do it well do so.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-cant-access-my-external-hd-enclosure.971482/
Relevancy 57.19%

I posted this question earlier but got no responses and the thread was closed I have taken the boot drive out of a dead machine bad board and put it into an external enclosure so that I can move stuff and eventually use the drive for backups etc I can access the drive fine but when in external old with HDD problems enclosure it is powered on I get constant messages about problems quot saving the mft quot Sometimes the whole system will crash at that point More often when I turn the external drive off it has a switch the whole system re-boots I ve done this problems with old HDD in external enclosure basic dance before old drive into enclosure and never had this problem As far as I know the old drive is still bootable but I do not boot to it Intuition suggests that the system still thinks that old drive is something to boot to though I am not setup here to boot to any USB devices the enclosure is USB obviously The only solution I can come up with myself is to spend the time and get everything I want off the drive in one process rather than piece-meal and then re-format it for storage use I imagine that will work OK -- but the problem baffles me and as said has never happened before -- I currently have several such older drives in external cases none of which shows these problems Can I whack some files on the old drive rendering it non-bootable but still readable If so what files Alternately can I use the quot boot defrag quot feature in my Diskeeper to defrag the mft on the problem drive Will that accomplish anything Problem with this approach though is that I will have to have that drive turned on when I boot the system -- who knows what weirdness that might cause even with the USB boot sequence turned off Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 57.19%

I have a Vantec HX4R External HDD Enclosure (no RAID setup) that is not shutting down for sleep or when computer is shut off. Tech support suggested that I look around in settings and may find something that controls the power supply through the USB 3.0 cabling which it is hooked up through.
The HX4R unit receives power from it's own power source, the USB 3.0 is only a computer to HDD enclosure link.
Anyone have any ideas?

A:External HDD enclosure not shutting down

I have a similar problem with a NexStar HDD enclosure connected to a USB 3.0 port on the motherboard. For the longest time, when I "safely removed" the drive, it also turned off. Then, it stopped doing that. Not aware of changing any settings; it just stopped shutting down. Would be interested if you find a solution for this for yours.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/303534-external-hdd-enclosure-not-shutting-down.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I bought a Western Digital Caviar Green internal hard drive and a generic hard drive enclosure. I installed the hard drive in the enclosure just fine and when I plugged it my computer, it installed the driver just fine, but when I go into "Computer" there is no drive listed for me to format. I know the enclosure works fine because I have another internal hard drive from an old computer which I put in there and it showed up just fine (already formatted though.) Is there something that I am missing and how would I format the hard drive so I can use it?

Thanks,
Mike

A:External HDD Enclosure Problem

Start Computer Management Disk Management

See if HD shows up here

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/77269-external-hdd-enclosure-problem.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi.
I just bought a new external enclosure IDE/SATA with 3.5" form-factor (Grand K325). However my windows 7 system doesn't seem to support it properly. When I insert IDE hdd into enclosure, OS does not show it in my computer. I can see it in Disk Managment, but it's marked as dynamic and will not inititlize (trying to initialize, for 1 disk it says "Drive not ready", for he second one it offers to convert disk to basic warning me that all files will be lost, which is unacceptable, b/c I need them).
Any clues?
P.S. Hooking to internal IDE wires disks work OK.

Relevancy 57.19%

I had a 3 tb hard drive filled with movies and the usb connector broke off, i read online I could just get a new enclosure for it so I did. it was easy enough to set up but when I connected it to my computer it came up as a 350mb unformatted hard drive, I think that maybe all of my data is on a partition that is somehow hidden now? When I run any type of fix disk or partition recovery software it recognizes the drives full capacity but my computer seems to just see it as a small unformatted hard drive. It took me a long time to get all the data I'm storing on this drive and I'd appreciate any assistance in being able to not lose it. Thanks!

Relevancy 57.19%

Hello folks my problem is this having just purchased a new external enclosure and a new ide hardrive with the intention of cloning the disc in my daughter s pc and then swopping in enclosure external new hardrive the disc new hardrive in external enclosure s over as the current disc is getting pretty full and of course new hardrive in external enclosure i would have the perfect backup anyway hooked it all up n plugged it in xp pro sp found it and installed it as expected but it does not show up in the pc I see on the installation guide where it states that the drive must be set in master mode for it to work before installing it in the enclosure i really dont know how to do or check what mode the drive is in so im wondering if thats the problem it also states to make sure the drive is formatted which im not sure of as its a new drive straight out of the package so thats my problem s folks and any help advice suggs will be much appreciated and thanks in advance Bill nbsp

Relevancy 57.19%

I want to be able to boot off a drive in an external enclosure. That way if the internal dies I can still use external until i get a replacement. I used a utility to copy all the files from the Internal to the external. The problem is when I try to boot from the external i get a stop 00007b error. I reformated the drive but still get that error. Any ideas how to fix it? Motherboard is a P4M80-M4. Enclosure is a nexttech. I belive the board allows you to boot off a usb. Thanks

A:Booting from External Enclosure.

how did you load the OS to the USB drive
what OS are you trying to boot
on boot MB should have option to boot from device press ??
I think one one of my machines it's F9

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/booting-from-external-enclosure.92767/
Relevancy 57.19%

Please help!!!
I recently bought a seagate 250gb hard drive that works perfectly internally. I bought an enclosure case and i hooked it up and when i connected it to my computer it'll say removable hardware found but then i get the message that it might not work properly because of a problem in installation. I have tried all the jumper settings and that is not working. I have replaced the enclosure and the hard drive and it is still not working. Any help would be great thanks
Compguysf

Relevancy 57.19%

Hello,

I purchased a 3.5" IDE to USB external HDD enclosure. See HERE

My PC sees the drive and tries to install it but I get an error "Windows encountered an error while installing this device, it may not work properly"

Well...It doesn't work at all.... It is not in My Computer as a drive and device manager has it listed with a Yellow ! and says "This Device Can Not Be Started"

The HDD does work...I had it in a PC as a bootable drive before this.

The jumper is set to MASTER (what the directions in the box call for) but I did try Cable Select as well just to see if it would work....it did not..

Any ideas on what I can try to get this running or did I get a defective enclosure?

Acameron

A:IDE to USB External Enclosure Issues

Some of the same problems/principles apply here:

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/798855-flash-drive-weirdos.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ide-to-usb-external-enclosure-issues.799270/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi everyone This is my first post here so let s hope I get it right I m looking to buy some extra storage and I m not sure what the best option is in terms of reliability I ve heard horror stories about external USB drives dying after six months and taking all their data with them One particular review on Amazon caught my HDD with 3.5" External enclosure vs eye the reviewer stated that when he d called tech support regarding his dead Iomega USB drive he was informed by the tech that no HDD lasts forever and you should External HDD vs 3.5" with enclosure pretty much expect that your external hard drive is going to die I do not find that reassuring The same reviewer went on to state that quot this doesn t External HDD vs 3.5" with enclosure seem to be a problem for internal computer drives quot and that got me thinking I m wondering if I might be better off buying a quot hard drive and getting an enclosure for it rather than buying an external USB hard drive I Googled my little heart out but all I could find were guides on how to use an internal drive with an enclosure or guides on selecting an external drive Nothing with a comparison of the two options and pros cons of each I d like some advice on which option is best I ll be using the drive as storage for media specifically I m ripping my collection of DVDs and putting them onto the drive which will then be connected to my PS That way I can access my whole DVD library using remote play with my PSP I hope that makes sense Up until now I ve simply been storing the ripped DVDs on the PS s hard drive which is gb I replaced the one it came with cause it wasn t big enough but I have a ton of DVDs lots of entire seasons of TV shows and I m getting to External HDD vs 3.5" with enclosure the point where I worry about having enough space left on the drive to store game saves which after all is the primary purpose of the PS This Christmas I have it on good authority that Santa Claus will be bringing me all seven seasons of Sex and the City on DVD and there is just no way I can fit those onto the PS s drive without deleting something else first which I hate to do because it s such a pain in the keister to rip the DVDs in the first place But I don t have anywhere else to store those movies and shows if I were to move them off the PS So it s time for some external storage That s everything I can think of in terms of helpful information ah and in case it matters whichever form of storage I end up purchasing will need to be formatted with FAT The Playstation doesn t recognize NTFS Thanks for any advice Jenni nbsp

A:External HDD vs 3.5" with enclosure

I prefer to build my own by getting a USB enclosure then adding a drive of my choice.
Something like This Enclosure .. and maybe one of These HDDs

This way, I can get to the HDD if the enclosure fails ... and I usually get TWO of each.
Any Data you don't care about .. Is data you only have one copy of.

And Welcome to the TSG forum.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hdd-vs-3-5-with-enclosure.886846/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi,
I am thinking of buying the "5.25" Platinum ( SD-U2PLA-525 ) enclosure unit." My question is that; "The unit does not have an audio out port, so when I try to watch a movie off of a DVD, will there be no sound?" Another question is that; "When I try to copy an audio CD to my PC, will the sound copy or not because there is no audio out? Thanks!!

Relevancy 57.19%

Just got a Venus DS enclosure and my Win XP External Enclosure Problem Home laptop doesn t detect the HDD s I removed from my old Desktop puter Interface is USB I went into Disk management and the drive is there but its identified as drive there but in properties of the drive it is identified as drive Also there is no drive letter assigned in Disk Managment Nothing shows up in Windows Explorer except the usual drives Also there are multiple partitions on the drive and it shows only one as shown in Disk management The first primary partition only In the limited literature provided they say XP drivers should do the job but one can install the External Enclosure Problem drivers provided on the CD if one chooses to do so They imply it should be just plug and play but it ain t lookin good There is a tech support External Enclosure Problem number to call and I ll do so tomorrow but I thought I d post this and see what response I got Any ideas appreciated Raybro nbsp

Relevancy 56.33%

I just bought a new HP pc and have ordered an enclosure for the hard drive from my old Dell to use with it. I wanted to keep all the data from the Dell and thought I'd be able to access it as another drive once the enclosure was set up, so I didn't transfer anything.

I started looking at some guides on how to set up the external drive once it arrives and some of them mention formatting and deleting all the old stuff and starting fresh, which I don't want to do. I realise the answer might simply be "plug it in like a data key and the files will be there" but I'd really appreciate a few pointers on how it should be done before I mess it up.

Thank you!
Scarlett

Relevancy 56.33%

I External Own Build Enclosure? SATA How To am wondering if any can provide any guidance in my quest to build my own external SATA enclosure I want a housing made of metal or sturdy plastic This should be the easiest part and something I can probably figure out on my own but any tips would be nice I want to install multiple How To Build Own External SATA Enclosure? SATA disks and hook them up via USB to my computer I would prefer it if they could run all of the same power supply Every SATA to USB adapter I see online has it s own power supply and I don t see any that support more than one drive -- Could they be wired into a regular computer power supply -- PS I m not an electrician Would be nice if each drive could have it s own on and off switch so I could turn off drives that I m not using to extend the life of the drive Would also be nice if I could install some fans Not sure how you wire those in unless of course there was a way I could hook them all up to a regular power supply Basically I want a computer that just has harddrives on it and could send all of that over USB Reason for this is I have a WD HD TV and it doesn t have network access and only USB input I could buy external enclosures but the ones for multiple drives are expensive and really I would prefer something to support or even more drives nbsp