Windows Support Forum

2nd Installed Harddrive identified by Windows 7 as "System Reserved"

Q: 2nd Installed Harddrive identified by Windows 7 as "System Reserved"

I purchased a new 1TB harddrive to host Windows 7. The installation was without any problem. Prior to installation, I removed all harddrives, including another 1TB data backup harddrive.

When I installed the second drive, with all my important backed up data, it comes identified by Windows 7 as drive D: System Reserved. There are no contents despite the properties indicating about 40% used space. Where did my data go? Please tell me it's not lost!! How can I get access to this drive??

Jenn

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: 2nd Installed Harddrive identified by Windows 7 as "System Reserved"

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: 2nd Installed Harddrive identified by Windows 7 as "System Reserved"

I'm assuming the old hard drive still has W7 installed on it?

If so the issue is that the old hard drive still has a Active partition on it. You should not have 2 Active partitions on one system, and that will caused these kinds of problems.

You can use a third party tool like Partition Wizard for bootable CD to remove the active flag from the old hard drive,
Free Partition Magic alternative, partition manager freeware, partition magic server, partition magic Windows 7 and free Partition Manager software for Windows 7/8/VISTA/XP/2000 and Windows Server 2003/2008/2000.

or you can use Diskpart
Partition - Mark as Inactive

Just to simplify things and avoid any problems you should disconnect all unnecessary drives while running Diskpart. You need to be able to select the correct drive from it's properties or partition sizes because normal drive identification will not be available.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/251929-2nd-installed-harddrive-identified-windows-7-system-reserved.html
Relevancy 84.32%

Hello I recently installed a SSD into my setup I didn't have a Win bit disk so I booted into the HDD's OS and installed via iso I didn't want to burn it as that always seems to fail I wanted to get the System Restore partition installed on make Reserved" Move boot? "System Installed and to SSD SSD. SSD the SSD so I tried booting to a Win bit disk and formatting the drive that way Problem is the System Restore is not recognized as such and was visible so I ended up deleting it that works fine except I now have this Disk Hard drive Disk SSD Disk Irrelevant Can I move the System Restore Partition to the SSD How can I make this boot off of the SSD It currently boots off of the System restore on the HDD The drive letters are screwed up but Installed SSD. Move "System Reserved" to SSD and make SSD boot? whenever I try to change the SSD's drive letter it says quot the parameter is incorrect quot no matter which drive letter I choose Help thanks

A:Installed SSD. Move "System Reserved" to SSD and make SSD boot?

I am not exactly sure what you did here. I suggest you restart and do those steps

1. On your Disk0 HDD, move the bootmgr from the 100MB partition to C:. You can do that with EasyBCD. The instructions are here. You take the option "Change the boot drive". That way we'll get the 100MB partition out of the way.

2. Make an image of your C partition (which is now the active partition). Take free Macrium or free Paragon for that task - but NOT Windows7 imaging.

3. Delete everything on your SSD (with Disk Management or the bootable CD of Partition Wizard) so that the whole SSD is unallocated space. You can also use Secure Erase if you want to cleanup the Nands.

4 Define an aligned, active partition on the SSD. Instructions are here.

5. Restore your image from C: into that partition.

6. Change the bootorder in the BIOS to boot from the SSD and you should be on your way.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/206401-installed-ssd-move-system-reserved-ssd-make-ssd-boot.html
Relevancy 107.93%

With EaseUS Backup Tool, I've cloned these two partitions ("System Reserved" and "C") to same-sized partitions on a external HDD ("X" and "Y"). Picture tells it concisely:
How to make drives "X" and "Y" boot-able?

In "Disk Management", I've noticed these partition labels missing:"X" (or "System Reserved") is missing System label,
"Y" (or "OS") is missing Boot, Page File and Crash Dump labels

Thank you!

A:Both "System reserved" and "C" partition cloned to external HDD: boot?

You cannot boot Win7 on external HD, unless it is connected via eSATA.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/220584-both-system-reserved-c-partition-cloned-external-hdd-boot.html
Relevancy 105.35%

Hi guys,
I am having trouble upgrading to windows 10.
I believe the source of my problems is the lack of a system reserved partition. I tried resetting the tablet using the 'reset' option in advanced recovery, though didn't seem to get another system reserved. How can I reinstall windows on this tablet, considering I have no product key though be sure windows creates a system reserved partition?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/69347-reinstall-windows-8-create-system-reserved-partition.html
Relevancy 104.92%

Hi,
My windows 7 is suddenly applying a drive letter to the system partition, and removing the letter which causes the "new disk inserted" window to keep popping up every half second. In Disk Manager the drive letter appears and disappears every half second.
The only way I've stopped it is to permanently apply a drive letter, which means it is now visible in windows explorer.

A:System reserved partition becoming "visible" and intermittently assigned drive letter by Windows

I assume by 'system partition' you really mean the hidden system restore partition installed by your PC builder? If so, then after I just fired up Paragon Partition Manager to see what it makes of that partition on my Win 7 PC, I find the partition is Primary, NTFS, active, not hidden, volume name WinRe.

The main interesting thing is the volume letter seems to be set to '*'. It appears as (*) rather than (C: ) as the OS drive does. Furthermore, the main menu has a 'partition' tab, where one of the options is 'assign drive letter', and the next option below is 'remove drive letter' which is currently greyed out.

Looking at the standard Windows computer management, storage, disk management, I see a similar picture, except there is no volume letter at all (apparent in that window anyway).

Quite how the partition gets identified in that way is a puzzle, but you might try a free partition manager, such as gparted and see what that says, and possibly allows you to change. As I say above, Paragon Partition Manager might let you de-assign a drive letter but I dont dare try it myself

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-reserved-partition-becoming-visible-and-intermittently-assigned-drive-letter-by-windows.188983/
Relevancy 104.92%

Hi so first of all i'm going to tell you that i have two hard drives one is WD Caviar Black TB primary which is partitioned in two Reserved 7 conflict"!!! Windows "System 100MB quot Local Disks quot GB for the OS and GB for games and other stuff and the secondary hard drive is WD Caviar Blue GB which i Windows 7 "System Reserved 100MB conflict"!!! had partitioned also in two local Windows 7 "System Reserved 100MB conflict"!!! disks but after of using for a long time it seemed that it was in its end but after searching online i found that it had some quot soft bad sectors quot and those can be fixed by doing a quot Low Level Format quot so i downloaded quot Active Kill-Disk quot to do it so i Windows 7 "System Reserved 100MB conflict"!!! did it successfuly and after it finished i didn't get again the quot local disks quot in My Computer but in Disk Management yes but this time like a quot Unallocated space GB quot and i went into the Windows format process to format it and make a new partition so the process of quot paritions quot in the windows setup was like this Disk Partition Unallocated space mb instead of quot System Reserved mb and i don't know why Disk Partition Local Disk C Operating System GB Disk Partition Local Disk D DATA GB Disk Partition Unallocated space GB And when i saw the Disk Partition named to quot Unallocated space mb quot i was a bit frustated because always it was quot System Reserved mb quot and not Unallocated BTW when i right click on Disk partition unallocated space gb to create a new partition i just leaved as it is GB and after creating it as a partition i got a new quot System Reserved mb partition quot above the GB and what i did i just removed again the partition to make it unallocated and after that i removed the Unallocated space mb in the top and Partition to make a new partition with the normal quot system reserved mb quot and after that to make new partition with the GB to not get system reserved partitions but when i removed Disk Partition and Disk Partition and created it again to GB i didn't get again any system reserved partition so i selected that partition even i didn't get a system reserved partition and i continued to install Windows on it and after it finished and got desktop i went to Disk Management and Unallocated space GB i maked it a new volume partition but now it seems that quot System Reserved mb partition quot is in the Disk instead of Disk and this is going to afraid me because if i do a clean install in the future the System Reserved mb will still be in Disk instead of Disk which is inormal so please for the God sake tell me what to do to get the normal partitions inclunding the System Reserved partition so for the next clean install of windows to have to do only with Partition Local Disk C GB without touching others partitions So thank you so much for your effort and sorry for my poor english Here is also the the screenshot of Disk Management click on image for full size

Relevancy 104.92%

so i used method 2, having windows 7 installed first. everything worked out perfectly, except this one glitch. i have a 100 MB System Reserved Partition that came with my Windows 7 install, and it doesn't show up on Windows 7 (unless i assign it a drive letter) and in Windows XP... its defaulted as drive C! this means that it doesn't let me change the drive letter, and every time i try to install something it tries to install to drive C, which has only 60 mb left, even though its blank, and i have to tell it to install to E (what windows XP initially mounts itself as)

Please, can you help in any way? it's highly frustrating

A:Problem XP sees Windows 7 "System Reserved" as C

Hi!

I have the exact same problem, System Reserved is the C-drive and cannot be changed. XP installation has taken F-drive. I have not found a solution for this anywhere. I have assigned the System Reserved partition drive letter S in Windows 7, but still the same drive letter setup remains in xp.

Does anyone know how this affects the operating system operation and possibly how this could be fixed?
Should the drive letter for System Reserved partition be given in Windows 7 before installing XP or does the drive letter assignment given in Windows 7 even have anything to do with the letter that appears in XP?

Thanks in advance if anyone could shed some light regarding this!
I'll ofcourse post here if i find a solution.

- Dennis

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/70091-problem-xp-sees-windows-7-system-reserved-c.html
Relevancy 103.63%

Newbie here. I have searched around for a while but have not found a post with my exact situation.

I just installed a new Seagate Momentus 500gb (7200rpm) SATA drive in my Lenovo X61 laptop and have been working on a installation of Windows7 Ultimate.

Not realizing this was an upgrade install disk, I tried to install Win7. I didn't know about the clean install method, so I started over with an installation of WinXP (slipstreamed to deal with the SATA drive).

Next, I ran the Custom Installation upgrade to Win7.

So far, it seems to be working ok.

However, the Local Drive is D: instead of C:. The System Reserved drive in labeled C:. Should I be concerned? Should/Can I change this?

Attached are screenshots of Disk Management and explorer window.

Thank you for any info.
-Nate

A:"System Reserved (C:)" and "Local Disk (D:)" ??

Try removing the System Reserved drive letter in Disk Management to see if Win7 claims C instead. It sometimes works.

There is no reason you can't operate with Win7 as D even though it is meant to always assume the C letter unless it's installer is run from another OS.

But if you do I would not allow a drive letter for SysReserved as programs can write to and corrupt it, especially the ability to make Win7 backup images.

Now that you know you can clean install Win7 without needing XP on the HD, I would strongly consider booting the installer to do a Custom install, choose Drive Options to Delete all partitions, Create new as you wish, then Format before installing to first partition after SysReserved it will create for you. The installer will see an OS at boot to allow use of Upgrade version key upfront during install.

Here are tips to get a perfect reinstall - use the ones which apply: Clean Reinstall steps

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/179878-system-reserved-c-local-disk-d.html
Relevancy 99.76%

Began having a problem with my computer rebooting over and over again upon startup I found out that I can "C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe";"Virus identified keep this "C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe";"Virus identified from occurring if I open a file or program immediately upon startup My Anti-virus also began showing the Title error for winlogon exe and stating that the file is whitelisted and should not be removed Upon running gmer my computer would reboot during the process every time I would run the scan due to the fact that I am unsure if this is a normal function of the scanner I cannot be sure "C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe";"Virus identified if the attatched ARK txt file is a complete thorough file I do not have a boot disk or the original OS program disk I am running XP home currently I have XP Pro on my other hard drive but it was determined to be an illegal copy and I was having problems with the other computer it was in I have that hard drive currently installed in my XP home machine for storage of files until I can get a legal copy of XP pro and an opportunity to repair my other computer I no longer use P P programs since I believed they were the cause of all my troubles with my previous computer but my children have downloaded many things on my computer and visited many sites I have no idea when the winlogin file became corrupted because when I logged on the computer my son said the rebooting problem had been occuring for over a week I have attached the requested scans Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated Your site helped me many years ago with a problem and I would like to return the favor if and when possible DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by User at on Thu Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition GMT - AV AVG Anti-Virus Free On-access scanning enabled Updated DDD - FF- F- E B- D D BF Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcs C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k WudfServiceGroup C Program Files AVG AVG avgchsvx exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgrsx exe svchost exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgcsrvx exe svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Yahoo Search Protection SearchProtection exe C Program Files ActivIdentity ActivClient accrdsub exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files ActivIdentity ActivClient acsagent exe C Program Files ActivIdentity ActivClient acevents exe svchost exe C Program Files ActivIdentity ActivClient accoca exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files Yahoo SoftwareUpdate YahooAUService exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgnsx exe C Documents and Settings User Desktop dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uSearch Page uSearch Bar uStart Page hxxp webmail netzero net mDefault Page URL hxxp www yahoo com mStart Page hxxp www yahoo com mSearchAssistant uURLSearchHooks AVG Security Toolbar BHO a bc a - f - -aa - d c - c program files avg avg toolbar IEToolbar dll uURLSearchHooks H - No File uURLSearchHooks DVDVideoSoftTB Toolbar b b - db - -bdd -ac e f - c program files dvdvideosofttb tbDVDV dll mURLSearchHooks AVG Security Toolbar BHO a bc a - f - -aa - d c - c program files avg avg toolbar IEToolbar dll BHO amp Yahoo Toolbar Helper d -c f - efb- b - eca - c program files yahoo companion installs cpn yt dll BHO PE IE Helper Class c f-e - e -bd d- c ade - c program files ibm lotus forms viewer PEhelper dll BHO Adobe PDF Link Helper df c-e ad- -a -fa c ebdc - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelperShim dll BHO B D C-B CB- b -BA - B E E - No File BHO B D C-B CB- b -BA - B E E - No File BHO AVG Safe Search ca f - f e- b -a e- e e c c - c program files avg avg avgssie dll BHO DVDVideoSoftTB Toolbar b b - db ... Read more

A:"C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe";"Virus identified

Hello and welcome to TSF.

I would like to have an additional rootkit scan before we proceed with the cleaning of the infection.
Please download Rootkit Unhooker and save it to your desktop.
Double-click RKUnhookerLE.exe to run it.
Click the Report tab, then click Scan
Check Drivers, Stealth Code, Files, and Code Hooks
Uncheck the rest, then click OK
When prompted to Select Disks for Scan, make sure C:\ is checked and click OK
Wait till the scanner has finished then go File > Save Report
Save the report somewhere you can find it. Click Close
Attach it in your next reply.

Note** you may get the following warning. It is ok, just ignore it.

"Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself!
It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?"

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/c-windows-system32-winlogon-exe-virus-identified-511831.html
Relevancy 96.75%

Someone spilled a liquid on my wife's laptop damaging the keyboard and internals. It cannot boot but I need to get the files from the HD. I bought one of those USB to laptop HD cables, removed the HD and hooked the cable to my desktop Windows 7 PC. The drive came up as "System Reserved" with only the boot sector folders visible. I hooked it to an XP PC and autoplay showed all the folders but I couldn't see them in "Computer." I tried backing everything up to a DVD but it failed for some reason. This somehow may have damaged the drive.

The drive now appears and disappears in device manager. When it's listed, it shows as working properly but no longer shows up in Computer or Disk Management.

Any chance of getting files off of the laptop HD?

A:Need to get files from dead laptop- drive shows as "System Reserved"

Well.. it may be that the drive was damaged by all the shorting out possibly going on during the accident.

But I would try to remove the USB/HD cable as those can sometimes be problematic in various ways (like power issues to drive, and drive size issues etc).

If it is a sata drive you should be able to hook it straight up to the inside of a desktop and see how it works there. (Now I better C my A here and say that if the drive has been damaged electrically, hooking it up to your desktop could have some small chance of causing more damage there...)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/206383-need-get-files-dead-laptop-drive-shows-system-reserved.html
Relevancy 96.75%

Eventual goal Windows Linux dual boot Intermediate goal Clean install Windows upgrade Skip installation "System Options - or at Create at to Reserved" 200MB from Vista using a pre-SP Upgrade disk or a Digital River iso with SP I have been reading for days but these questions remain concerning System Reserved partition Will the Windows Installer accept and use a MB System Reserved partition that I myself create at the start of Installation using the diskpart utility - but which it normally seeks "System Reserved" - Options to Skip at installation or Create at 200MB to create on its own I understand that the quot select Language quot installation step is where to do this I will pre-designate it as an active MB NTFS partition with a System Reserved label I want it to be MB instead of the standard MB just to be cautious To try to compel acceptance of this configuration I will create a second NTFS partition over all remaining space and which will be shrunk later very soon to make space for Linux Mint - Is it an error to pre-designate this as quot Active quot with diskpart I saw one comment that the Windows seeks to make quot the first active partition quot as the System Reserved partition - Will pre-designation as quot active quot cause any dangers at next boot up process If I don't pre-label it as quot active quot I worry that the Windows installer might not pick it up as the System Reserved partition ALTERNATE OPTION Single C partition for Windows no SysRsrvd If I forego creation of the System Reserved partition -- by using diskpart to create one single NTFS partition over entire disk at the start of Installation -- can a Windows Linux dual-boot system be successfully configured on a system where the boot files are present on the C drive Windows - What might be the boot load Win or Linux Grub etc issues or problems I would meet with a quot single partition quot Windows OS - Is it better to have a System Reserved partition present on a dual boot system

A:"System Reserved" - Options to Skip at installation or Create at 200MB

If you create 200mb sys reserved, mark it active and 7 will install boot critical files to it.

Quote:
Is it better to have a System Reserved partition present on a dual boot system?

No, it doesn't matter.

Quote:
can a Windows/Linux dual-boot system be successfully configured on a system where the boot files are present on the C:/ drive (Windows)?

Yes

Quote:
What might be the boot load (Win or Linux Grub, etc.) issues or problems I would meet with a "single partition" Windows OS?

None. You can let grub2 install to mbr and use the grub boot menu to control evrything, or you can install grub2 to the linux partition, then add it to windows boot menu (That is what I do, but just slightly complicated).

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/303211-system-reserved-options-skip-installation-create-200mb.html
Relevancy 96.75%

I am using a 120GB portable hard drive for back ups and additional file storage. When defragging this drive, you are able to see how much space is actually "reserved for system files". Since this is not a bootable drive with no operating system on it, is there a way to recover this space that is reserved for system files? On this drive it amounts to about 10GB of space. If possible, how is this done?

Relevancy 96.75%

sorry if this thread already exist before but i googled it everywhere and i cant find answers to my problem so this is a final alternative i already have windows Ulitmate x but day i came up with an idea of giving a try on x one by dual booting so i downloaded it legally from microsoft and i did every procedures required for the install shrunk my C drive and installed the OS on the unallocated free space on the drive and it went on perfectly but the problem is the System Reserved partition showed up on the x OS every "2nd drive after (dualboot) shows up System install Reserved OS" time i open My Computer i can see the system reserved partition i could accidentally do something wrong with the partition if it remains unhidden so i want to hide it I was thinking of changing the drive letter but i afraid that's going to give me boot problem in disk management the System Reserved is labelled Z and marked as active tried to set my other partition as active that day but the pc cannot boot at all not even the boot manager showed System Reserved drive shows up after "2nd OS" install (dualboot) up however I managed to fix it using my recovery disc to access the cmd and reactivate the Z drive using diskpart help

A:System Reserved drive shows up after "2nd OS" install (dualboot)

Hello cajuan93

Just remove the drive letter totally from the system reserved partition in disk management to stop it showing up in My Computer. By default that partition should not have a drive letter assigned to it.

Regards Danny

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/231959-system-reserved-drive-shows-up-after-2nd-os-install-dualboot.html
Relevancy 96.75%

Hello, I atached an printscreen to this thread with disk management.

Is there any advantages of this " hidden partition / system reserved " at all?

I will make a windows 7 reinstall and I am planning to install it in only one partition, without this 100 / 200 mb hidden partition, but I'm not entirely decided. What are the reasons should I left it there?

I currently dual boot windows xp / windows 7 from this hdd, and as for backup I use acronis to create system images so I do not intend or wish to use microsoft windows 7 backup, restore points, system restore etc.

Thank you in advance!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A:Sugestion of Install with or whitout "system reserved partition" ?

Since there is no System Active flag on XP, if XP is booting then according to the screenshot SysReserved contains the boot files for XP as well.

In this case during reinstall of Win7 I would use Custom>Drive Options to delete SysReserved and Win7 partitions, create a partition in that space, then format and click Next to install.

Win7 should configure a Dual Boot menu during install. If not, afterwards install EasyBCD 2.02 to Win7 to Add XP, accept boot files, let it autocomplete, Save, Reboot to Dual Boot menu.

Is 30gb large enough for your Win7 install? I would want it larger myself. If you'd like to borrow some space from the data partition, use free Partition Wizard bootable CD to Resize E from the left by the amount you wish to increase C's size before the reinstall. Back up your data and be sure not to touch E during reinstall.

Tips for getting a perfect one: Reinstalling Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/198138-sugestion-install-whitout-system-reserved-partition.html
Relevancy 96.32%

When you install a new copy of W7, in my case Professional 32bit, 1TB disk, it
makes default a hidden "system reserved partition" with a size of 100Mb.
On this partition there are system files.

Why does W7 do this, what is the use of it, is it an advantage or more a disadvantage ?

I also discovered that you can install a copy of W7 without this "system reserved partition",
then everything is on the same partiton.

what is wisdom ?

please advice

A:When installing W7, it makes def. a "system reserved partition", why ?

It's hardly worth fretting about. I can take it or leave it.

If you use Bitlocker or plan to Dual Boot then it's best to have it.

If not and you want to avoid it, prepartition the HD with Partition Wizard boot CD and then choose the partition to install upon.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/284430-when-installing-w7-makes-def-system-reserved-partition-why.html
Relevancy 96.32%

I recently had DK8 do a boot-time defrag/chkdsk and consolidation of files and folders. As a result the "Reserved System Space" seems to have disappeared. (It's normally fairly large and white with a criss-cross green grid as per the legend left lower side.)
Why is that and need I be concerned?

Relevancy 96.32%

I have a new Dell Inspiron 3847 running Win 8.1 64 Bit. My upgrade to windows 10 was reserved an I receive the notification to install, but when I tried I receive this message "We couldn't update the system reserved partition" I'm running Win 8.1 in a new Dell computer; How can I upgrade?.... I burn already an ISO file of the OS but I'm affraid that after a clean install will not find licence for the free upgrade.
I don't have a sys Reserved Partition in my DM what I have is  this sequence;
500mb EFI Sys Partition
40mb OEM Partition
750mb Recovery Partition
OS (C) 919.61GB NTFS (Boot, Page file, etc)
10.52 GB Recovery Partition  
How to use MIni Tool to do these,

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19669877
Relevancy 96.32%

Hello,

I hope this is the correct sub-forum.

I have a family member with an issue that I cannot solve my googling the problem.

The family member tried to upgrade their windows 7 to windows 10. Something went wrong (apparently - I was not there) and it restored to Windows 7. Now one of their other hard drives appears to be completely empty (931gb of 931gb free) and it was renamed to "system reserved". The drive letters has been switched with the dvd-drive.

Is there any way to move the system reserved part to the c:\ drive where it belongs and save the data?

Thank you

A:Upgrade from Win 7 -> Win10 failed. Now other HD "system reserved"

All you have to do is set the C partition Active and run startup repair until windows boots again.

There is no moving of the system reserved partition, you are simply writing the system files to the C partition so windows will boot again, but as I have said, the C partition HAS to be marked Active in order to do that. It can easily be done with a partition Wizard Boot CD and a System Repair Disc, also known a Startup repair disc, made on any Windows 7 machine of the same bit version, 32 or 64 bit and of the same Service Pack version, hopefully your Windows version was Service Pack 1.

It can also be marked Active using Diskpart with your install DVD or aforementioned System repair disc.

Method 2

Partition - Mark as Active

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/387959-upgrade-win-7-win10-failed-now-other-hd-system-reserved.html
Relevancy 96.32%

Hi guys First post here so take it easy on me haha I installed Windows Enterprise -bit edition on my new Lenovo laptop I captured an image of my machine and deployed the image to several others Now we want to start using Bitlocker However there "system do I by the create reserved" How partition Bitlocker? for use is no How do I create the "system reserved" partition for use by Bitlocker? quot system reserved quot partition you know the MB one that Windows automatically creates during install Turns out that Bitlocker NEEDS this partition I can manually create this partition but I don't think it's useable by Bitlocker Regardless I tested this I created the partition mb after shrinking primary partition rebooted and ran the manage-bde -status command There is another drive listed but it's unusable Here is the output of that command Code Disk volumes that can be protected with BitLocker Drive Encryption Volume D GB Data Volume Size GB BitLocker Version None Conversion Status Fully Decrypted Percentage Encrypted Encryption Method None Protection Status Protection Off Lock Status Unlocked Identification Field None Automatic Unlock Disabled Key Protectors None Found Volume Data Volume Size Unknown GB BitLocker Version None Conversion Status Fully Decrypted Percentage Encrypted Encryption Method None Protection Status Protection Off Lock Status Unlocked Identification Field None Automatic Unlock Disabled Key Protectors None Found Volume Data Volume Size Unknown GB BitLocker Version None Conversion Status Fully Decrypted Percentage Encrypted Encryption Method None Protection Status Protection Off Lock Status Unlocked Identification Field None Automatic Unlock Disabled Key Protectors None Found FYI I have disks in my machine Disk Samsung EVO SSD in my Ultrabay two partitions mb system reserved amp rest of space C Disk Whatever brand GB k RPM drive in main drive bay one partition drive D Disk Sandisk x SSD mSATA GB under the keyboard in mSATA slot several partitions Windows no drive letters while booted into Win on disk I checked out the system reserved partition on another PC It has a standard ID when viewing partition details in DISKPART I was thinking it had a special ID to be marked as quot system quot or whatever but I guess not I do know that this partition is usually the first one created so it starts at block or whatever but that shouldn't matter So now my predicament is that I don't want to have to reimage all of these machines Does Bitlocker truly require this other partition I'm thinking YES and if so how can I create it manually and get it to actually work I am going to go check out the BCD fix from DriveImageXML I remember it changing your BCD around to boot differently so maybe I can make my manually created partition active and then run the BCD fix on it to make it bootable I really have no idea and am not finding ANYTHING on the web about this The only thing I keep finding over and over is how to create the partition manually BEFORE installing Windows not after Thanks

A:How do I create the "system reserved" partition for use by Bitlocker?

Hello Snake, and welcome to Seven Forums.

If you use the BitLocker wizard to encrypt the OS drive, then BitLocker will automatically create the System Reserved partition for you.

BitLocker Drive Encryption - Windows 7 Drive - Turn On or Off with no TPM

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/335056-how-do-i-create-system-reserved-partition-use-bitlocker.html
Relevancy 96.32%

Hello I am new to the forum and not sure if this is the correct place for my question so please forgive me if not "System and Reserved" USB External HDD is shown as empty Moreover I apologize for the long thread but I want to explain in details what happened After a system crash I tried to restore my win from an acronis true image backup file stored on an external USB HDD WD Passport TB After booting with acronis true image I realized that I have another copy of the backup file on a second partition G on the internal HD so I restored this to drive C Since the system did not boot I External USB HDD shown as "System Reserved" and is empty inserted Win CD to make a system repair which also did not work So I decided to install windows newly from CD I had the message quot Windows cannot be installed into this disk The selected disk is of the GPT partition style quot Following an advice after a search in google I used Diskpart to clean the targeted volume I can say I am sure that I selected the right volume and that the external HDD was upluged Anyway after this the installation External USB HDD shown as "System Reserved" and is empty did not work but I discovered that the two partitions on the internal HDD had gone I thought this is not too bad since I have a copy of all my data on the external HDD So I installed win on a new partition on the internal HDD and kept a second partition for data to be copied later Installation went fine Then I wanted to copy my data from the external HDD The surprise is the drive is shown with the name quot System Reserved E quot previously it was called quot WD Passport quot Even worse it is completely empty and the whole space of TB is shown as free As I said I am almost sure I did not clean the external HDD I am even almost sure it was uplugged but cannot say this for Moreover I did not touch the external HDD from inside acronis true image where it was actually shown with the correct name Even if the HDD was plugged I did not notice any operation on it that took even seconds of time So I hope my data on the external HDD was not deleted or overwritten I attached it to the PC at work and it shows the contents in the attachment Any hope to rescue my data Please help Much thanks in advance

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/388994-external-usb-hdd-shown-system-reserved-empty.html
Relevancy 96.32%

Hello,

I have 2 drives. One for the OS (an SSD with 120 GB of space), another for storage purpose (2TB).

When I try to reinstall Windows 7, here's what it says:

Disk 0 Partition 1: 2TB
Disk 1 Partition 1: System Reserved
Disk 1 Partition 2: System

Should I delete System Reserved if I want to do a clean install? Will it be recreated on its own?

Thank you!

Relevancy 96.32%

I have Drive D: system reserved 100MB. What is it used for and can I put in it a Macrium reflect restore file ( hard disk image)?

A:What is the "system reserved" partion of my hard disk used for ?

The System Reserved partition is used to hold the system boot manager, and is also used for:

1. Bitlocker Drive Encryption if you use Windows Professional or Ultimate
2. Accessed as part of some OEM recovery functionality

If you don't use the above, you can delete this partition, by carefully following these steps to easily move the boot manager to C:

Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD

The benfit to doing this is that you only need to specify a single partition -- e.g. C: -- for imaging using Macrium.

If you choose to keep the System Reserved partition, then you should include that in any Macrium image.

Hope that explains it.

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/284999-what-system-reserved-partion-my-hard-disk-used.html
Relevancy 95.46%

Recently after flashing a new BIOS I had to do a StartUp Repair (got the "BOOTMGR is missing" message) which did its job and all is working fine, but now I have the "System Reserved" partition showing up when I open Windows Explorer. It's also taking up the F: drive letter, which used to belong to my external HDD. I don't really care about either of that, but for aesthetic purposes if anything, is there a way to make it go away?

A:Visible "System Reserved" partition

Hello mate.

So you can get the correct advice, please post a maximized snip / screen-shot of Windows 7 disk management, making sure the individual columns in the top section are clearly readable, have a look at this tutorial linked below.

How to Upload and Post a Screenshot

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/250598-visible-system-reserved-partition.html
Relevancy 95.46%

Hi all

I've two Windows 7 installations as a multi boot on two physical drives:

Disk 1 - 100 MB System reserved partition and a windows partition with my first (not genuine I later found) installation
Disk 2 - Second "genuine" installation

I'll eventually delete the first installation and would like also to shift the System reserved partition to the second disk so that it "stands alone" as a boot drive. I'm comfortable enough with creating/copying/moving partitions but guess that it won't be as simple as "inserting" a copy of the system reserved partition at the start of the second disk and switching the boot order of the drives.

I can't find any tutorials/posts on the topic, nearest hint suggested I might be looking at a repair install, but before I go down the trial and error route I thought I'd check to see if anyone knew.

Thanks

Andrew

A:Moving "System Reserved" partition

Welcome to SF!

I did all this using Partition Wizard and changing the Boot Sequence in BIOS.

I didn't have any problems- just make some backups first.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/134274-moving-system-reserved-partition.html
Relevancy 95.46%

Hi Peeps,

I have an SSD (OCZ 120gb vertex 3) which I installed windows 7 64bit on.
I also have a secondary WD 2TB HDD in the machine.

When I installed Windows, it automatically created the " System reserved partition" of (100mb) on the 2TB WD HDD.

Im not really sure why it did this, as 100mb is not a lot of space on a 120gb SSD.

Anyways, since installing, the 2 TB HDD has died. and I have lost the system reserved partition and now the SSD wont boot, which had windows on it and 2 days worth of programs installed along with customers data.

im not so worried about the 2TB, but I need to get the SSD going again.

Is there any way I can recreate this 100mb System Partition so my ssd will boot the windows?

Any suggestions would be awesome, as my deadline fast approaches :(

Thanks in advance,
Gstratto.

A:[SOLVED] SSD "system reserved partition"

Hello gstratto,

The system reserved partition contains all the data needed to boot the drive, so in other words, it has no boot manager and nothing to tell the drive where to boot. Normally when this drive becomes corrupt, we can repair those files and get it up and running again. However when it has been deleted, I'm unsure if you can.

You could try to boot the installation DVD; and instead of choosing "Install now", choose "Automatically repair my computer" and see if it turns up any faults. If unsuccessful, you should make a backup of that HDD (Put it into another PC and extract the data) and reinstall the drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-ssd-and-quot-system-reserved-partition-and-quot-602696.html
Relevancy 95.46%

This used to not show in Windows Explorer,
I have since attempted a "Repair Install" (failed), then got MBAM working, and cleaned the system.
Used a couple of other apps (including MSSE) and they find nothing.
Don't know if all that matters.
But now System Reserved shows up in Windows Explorer. Strictly speaking, it shouldn't.

A:"Unsee" System Reserved in Explorer

It's probably been given a drive letter, you can remove it so it won't show in explorer,

Drive Letter - Add, Change, or Remove in Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/326911-unsee-system-reserved-explorer.html
Relevancy 95.46%

Hey guys I'm back with P But I have come across some hardship but long story short I saved all my files from my both OS Tried shrinking my Vista partition failed resulting in loss of the OS and re-installed both OS But when I installed Win Home Premium x I've Unwanted "System Reserved" partition : created a GB partition for Vista then took the rest for Win Then tada another partition called quot System reserved Unwanted partition : "System Reserved" quot MB big was created I didn't care at first Then I installed Vista on the GB partition again Then once it booted the partition was in Computer I was like o O I wanted to delete it Installed the drivers firefox thunderbird and NOD I saw that it was flagged quot Active quot I decided to put the quot Active quot flag to Vista's partition because a prompt told me that a running OS was needed to put that flag OK Then I rebooted to go to Win and start my looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong install of stuff I was welcomed with a quot Missing BOOTMGR quot I sighted and put my Win HP x in the CD-Rom drive and repaired twice On the th reboot both OS was available at the dual-boot screen Logged onto Win Installed the drivers then checked back the Computer Management to see that partition It was now only labeled quot Primary quot So my question after all that Wall-O-Text is can I safely delete that partition and extend it to one of the two partition Thx

A:Unwanted partition : "System Reserved"

That partition is created when you install 7 to unallocated space. If you create a partition and format it, 7 shouldn't create that partition.

This partition contains boot files and memory test. It needs to be active. Don't know if it will work, but booting from the 7 dvd and doing a repair install might fix. Might have to do it 2 or 3 times to get it all straightened out.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/46313-unwanted-partition-system-reserved.html
Relevancy 93.74%

Ok so when look at Diskeeper and the drive maps for my HDDs, I see a big chunk of it as "Reserved System (Green/White). A big chunk as in, the HDD is 120Gig and Diskeeper shows 7 "bars" in total, and the reserved system takes up nearly one entire bar...looks like around 80% of an entire bar.

To put this into perspective without a picture (I don't have anywhere to host it on ), my page file (yellow) is 512MB and its only like 1/30th of an entire bar.

Also these "Reserved System"...space...is only on my SATA HDDs (non-RAID), and there is none on my regular HDD.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal and what exactly this "Reserved System" space is and also why its so large?

Thanks in advance.

FYI:
----
Windows XP Pro SP2
Diskeeper 8
NTFS for all HDDs
System Restore OFF
Indexing Service OFF

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/diskeeper-and-reserved-system.283591/
Relevancy 93.74%

As you know in former times the MBR record was always put on the first Primary partition on a hard disc With Windows a separate special quot System Reserved quot partition of MB was introduced for this purpose The MBR is now put on this partition which directs the user finally to the actual target partition to boot MB Reserved" MBR? put the Where "System partition? to the 100 On A possible partitioning could look like this GB partC Primary MB SystemReserved Primary Where to put the MBR? On the "System Reserved" 100 MB partition? Active GB reserve Primary Where to put the MBR? On the "System Reserved" 100 MB partition? GB partD Extended Logical So if I boot my computer then at first the MBR on the quot SystemReserved quot partition is started which shows the boot menu When I select Win on partC then this system is booted Questions Is putting the MBR on the SystemReserved partition now with Win a MUST or do I have the choice to put it on partC as well If I put the MBR on the SystemReserved partition Does this partition have to be visible or can it be hidden as well Is a SystemReserved partition only then required if I have MORE than bootable partition Or can I use it with partition as well How can I find out with a separate easy-to-use tool or cmd where on which partition currently the MBR is saved Thank you Peter

A:Where to put the MBR? On the "System Reserved" 100 MB partition?

The MBR is fixed - it's the System boot files represented by the System flag which can be moved if necessary.

Where is the System flag appearing now, SysReserved? I would leave it there and remove any drive letter in Disk Mgmt if one exists.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/206461-where-put-mbr-system-reserved-100-mb-partition.html
Relevancy 93.74%

I just upgraded my Win 10 desktop from a smaller SSD to a new larger Samsung SSD. Cloning with the Samsung software was quick and painless and the PC booted right up. Then I powered down and reconnected the old SSD and formatted it for use as a data drive and it shows up as G drive but file manager also showed that there is an "F" drive named "system reserved". (BTW, D drive is DVD/RW and E drive is a data HDD, hence the F and G series.) Then I formatted the old SSD now G drive, rebooted and it shows full empty capacity, but the F system reserved is still there. What the heck is that? It only appeared when I connected the old bootable system drive before I formatted it and remains now that drive has been formatted. Can I delete it?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/new-ssd-now-i-have-a-system-reserved-drive-1066682.html
Relevancy 93.31%

Trying to help a relative troubleshoot a Windows problem over the phone. He is running Windows XP and is getting "System is not fully installed, please run setup again." Upon restart it ends up with this message everytime.

He no longer has the original discs that came with the PC. Is this something easily fixed so I can walk him through the process? I am not a technician but have some basic knowledge of troubleshooting.

Any advice is appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-system-is-not-fully-installed.767291/
Relevancy 91.59%

helof friends,

i have couple of viruses in my laptop which disturb me badly, I really appreiciate if anyone can help me in this,when i connect my phone to my laptop ,a message appear from AVG saying ''threat /virus/Worm/VB.6.BA'' after that i could not open my phone folder drive 'E' ,,,i have copy & past the full detail from virus vault,

1= "Infection";"Virus identified Worm/VB.6.BA";"E:\EXPLORER.EXE";"";"10/05/2009, 23:53:07"

2= "Infection";"Trojan horse Generic13.ACMS";"C:\Program Files\NokiaFREE Unlock Codes Calculator\dctx.dll";"";"09/05/2009, 10:33:59"

these are the two virus in my computer which really disturb me,

any hell will highly appriciated

thanks

azhar

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/infection-virus-identified-worm-vb-6-ba-e-explorer-exe.826130/
Relevancy 90.3%

Hello im unsure where to place this thread. " Disc boot failure, insert system disc and press enter " Is the error i get after i took out an IDE 80GB HDD. The primary boot drive is a OCZ vertex 2 120GB. Somehow my pc will not boot unless the 80GB HDD is in. Im unsure how they are related so could anyone help me out so that i dont need the 80GB HDD to boot up anymore.

A:Taking out IDE harddrive error "Disc boot failure, insert system..."

When you installed the OCZ drive, it sound like you had the 80gb HD connected. So the boot up files got written to the 80 gb HD. Do you have a Win7 install DVD ? If so run startup repair 3 times in a row with the 80gb disconnected.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/295714-taking-out-ide-harddrive-error-disc-boot-failure-insert-system.html
Relevancy 90.3%

I have just bought a laptop. Looking to HDDs I realized that "system reserved" is on the second drive(e:\) whereas windows7 is on the first drive( c:\)
Now I wonder What would happen if I exchange my second HDD? As far as I know "system reserved" contains files which are used during boot. So could I face a disaster while booting the computer after having removed the first HDD?

A:"system reserved" on the second HDD?

Quote: Originally Posted by albert1234

I have just bought a laptop. Looking to HDDs I realized that "system reserved" is on the second drive(e:\) whereas windows7 is on the first drive( c:\)
Now I wonder What would happen if I exchange my second HDD? As far as I know "system reserved" contains files which are used during boot. So could I face a disaster while booting the computer after having removed the first HDD?

Absolutely correct. system reserved (and the hidden boot) needs to be left where they were installed

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/65623-system-reserved-second-hdd.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Hello. In about 6 months ago I encountered a major problem with my laptop (Fujitsu Siemens Amilo) as it would not start. The message I get is, in its entirety:

"For Realtek RT8101E 10/100 PCI-Express Ethernet Adapter v1.03 (070618)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
Operating System not found"

Is there a free solution solution to this? I have researched about this problem and found that you may need a new HDD? And IF I hand the ****er in to some Computer-fixy repair-thing and put in a new harddrive, will it work later? I mean, is it a 100 % certain that it is the HDD that's ****ed-up, getting a new will solve the problem? I'm a poor student I would go on to a school massacre rampage if I would have paid $100 and when I get home, it still shows the same ****.

Very much thanks in advance.

A:Please help, "operating system not found", can i buy new harddrive?

Try checking the boot order under the bios option, make sure that it is set to boot hard drive first.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-operating-system-not-found-can-i-buy-new-harddrive.889500/
Relevancy 89.44%

In Windows XP, fully updated, I have several folders full of mp3's and want to see the bit rate and duration. I right click on a column heading and select "Bit rate". I then click on "More..." so I can get to "Duration", and I select that one too.

But all the figures in the "Duration" column appear to be in "hours" and "minutes", so I see "00:04" or "00:03", but what I want is "minutes" and "seconds".

Any thoughts as to how to change this?

A:Solved: Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes.693037/
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi all Sorry to repeat a question I see a lot of instances of but none of those seem to be addressing my problem correctly I have not done anything new to my computer in recent days so this problem has caught me off guard I see most instances of this problem come after upgrading to Windows I have had Win installed for a while now Here is a summary of my problem My computer recently got stuck on the quot Starting Windows Screen quot So I manually held the power button to reboot On reboot it said there was a need to run a startup repair which I did Everything checked fine except for the Corrupted" Windows", is on Repair "Starting Stuck Shows Disk Volume "System on last one which said quot System Volume on Disk is Corrupted quot which it claimed to have successfully fixed After rebooting from repair the system gets stuck on quot Starting Windows Screen quot for a good - minutes after which it runs a registry check After it completes that I get hopeful -- but the screen then gets stuck on an all black screen with just the mouse cursor and nothing more Additional note Attempting to start the computer on quot safe mode quot leads Stuck on "Starting Windows", Repair Shows "System Volume on Disk is Corrupted" safe mode startup to become stalled Stuck on "Starting Windows", Repair Shows "System Volume on Disk is Corrupted" on quot DRIVERS CLASSPNP SYS quot The lastest attempt to repair yielded this message quot Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically Problem event Name Startup Repair Offline Problem signature uknown quot AutoFailover Corrupt Volume OS Version Locale Id In need of help not sure where to start Thanks nbsp

A:Stuck on "Starting Windows", Repair Shows "System Volume on Disk is Corrupted"

Hi Stan, Hopefully I can help you out....or at least lead you in the right direction. From my experience, the symptoms you are suggesting sound like perhaps a dying Hard drive.

1. Do you have the windows 7 boot disks that came with your computer or when you bought the Operating System? If so, you could try and insert one of those and boot from it, and attempt to repair the installation. (this won't affect your data, only the windows system files).

2. If that doesn't fix it, you could try a fresh reinstall of windows 7, and see if that works.

3. If neither of those work, its likely that because of the fact that when windows is repairing itself, it is generally putting copies of its system files in the same physical location on your disk. Because your disk is obviously not completely dead, ie....its still loading to the windows 7 startup screen, its just copying files to the bad sectors on your hard drive and gets stuck when loading. This is especially my guess because you said Safe mode is having same problems, even after attempting to repair. In the past, I've tried and salvage a disk by reformatting it and only leaving on partitions which do not contain the bad clusters. This takes some time, and some guess work.....and really this is only a "bandaid" fix because once the disk has bad clusters, its only a matter of time before these things give out. You wouldn't want to trust your important data on it anyways....

I hope this leads you in the right direction.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/stuck-on-starting-windows-repair-shows-system-volume-on-disk-is-corrupted.1023059/
Relevancy 88.58%

Hey there not sure where to put this but here goes I had a friend bring me a laptop to fix it had a nasty collection of viruses So I took the partition partition as "System reading Reserved" drive Main hard drive out and plugged it in to anoter machine running XP to Main drive partition reading as "System Reserved" partition do a virus scan using Symantec Endpoint Protection I didn't have a USB adapter handy so I just opened the case and installed it as a secondary drive Scan was going Main drive partition reading as "System Reserved" partition well and finding plenty but after hours I needed to take the drive home to continue working on it so I canceled the scan shut down the PC took the drive out and went home At home where I did have a USB Main drive partition reading as "System Reserved" partition adapter I plugged it in and discovered that the system was now reading the drives inocorrectly In My Womputer the main partition shows up as the mb System Reserved partition while in Computer Management it shows up as a gb partition In My Computer I see all the files one expects to see on the System Reserved partition and none of the operating system or user files So today I tried putting the drive back into the laptop and windows will not boot Took it back out and tried it directly installed in a machine as a secondary drive same as before and get the same problem can't access the main partition and can't see the little system reserved partition in the partition manager Does anyone have any suggestions Thank you in advance and I apolopgise if this turns out to be a dumb question

A:Main drive partition reading as "System Reserved" partition

The partition on that drive in which the boot manager files live must be set as "active", in order for the BIOS of your machine to go there to start the boot process. And it also must be of type "primary" in order for it to be set "active". If the partition in which the boot manager files you've mentioned live is currently not set as "active", then that would explain why you can't boot to that drive.

And of course, that hard drive must be listed as the first hard drive in the boot sequence of the BIOS setup, so that the "active" partition on that drive (which is supposed to contain the boot manager files) can be used to kick off the boot process.

This "active" partition is typically that 100MB "system reserved", with the real Win7 system partition itself being a second and much larger partition.

But there's nothing to prevent both (a) boot manager and (b) Win7 system from residing in the same physical partition, as long as (a) it's a "primary" partition and not "logical", and (b) is set as "active", and (c) the hard drive on which it lives is the 1st hard drive listed in the boot sequence for the BIOS.

Anyway, what is the nature of the two partitions you're looking at... i.e. the one with the boot manager files and the other with the Win7 system files?

Screenshot possible? You can also use Partition Wizard to examine the hard drive and modify the "active" vs. "inactive" status of the partitions if necessary.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/212357-main-drive-partition-reading-system-reserved-partition.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I am running Windows XP SP fully updated on an Acer Explorer Column Windows no "Minutes" "Seconds", "Hours" just "Duration" - and lap top PC I have several folders full of mp 's and want to Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" see the bit rate and Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" duration To Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" do this I right click on a column heading and select quot Bit rate quot I then click on quot More quot so I can get to quot Duration quot and I select that one too The two new columns appear but the format of the quot Duration quot column appears to be quot hours minutes quot so I see quot quot or quot quot for most mp 's when what I want to see is 'hours minutes seconds quot e g quot quot This also happens for video files avi files e g all my episodes of quot Heroes quot sad I know have a duration of quot quot instead of quot xx quot Here are two pictures showing the problem with the mp 's The first is of Explorer showing the Duration as quot Hours Minutes quot The second picture is of the properties window of the first mp in the list above I copied some mp files to another old PC on my home network and it displayed the duration field correctly Also the properties window correctly shows the duration also I'm not the only person to have this problem I received a private message from a member of another forum where I posted about this problem several weeks ago That person also has the same problem with the duration field The tech guys on that forum were unable to find the source of the duration field problem But after I had such a great success on this forum with my hard disk problem here I decided to try to get help here Thanks in advance for any suggestions

A:Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

* bump *

Tricky, this one!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes-253928.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I have had my Dell for little over 8.1: when partition." or couldn't 10 to reinstall operating update Error reserved message system to to system trying update We the Windows a year and have had problems from the beginning nbsp I am years old and I am at my wits end A hard drive was replaced in the summer of but I have still had problems with the computer shutting down and my having to refresh it to factory setting I thought updating to Windows would solve some problems and I did this in October nbsp Everything was fine until a couple of months ago nbsp The end result was when I tried to refresh the computer to factory defaults it went back to or and I evidently lost something in the process Now I cannot update to Windows and when I tried to resinstall the Dell Operating System I get for both nbsp quot WE COULDN T UPDATE THE SYSTEM RESERVED PARTITION quot I DO HAVE A SYSTEM BACKUP ON CDS MADE WHEN I HAD WINDOWS nbsp Could I reinstall the system with these backupdisks nbsp How do I do that nbsp I also have a Dell Boot USP stick I have a recovery stick too but it semed that when I used this I received a message that not all files were recovered What should I do at this point nbsp

A:Error message when trying to update to Windows 10 or to reinstall operating system 8.1: We couldn't update the system reserved partition."

On MBR disk, Windows 10 requires a 500MB system reserved partition, while 100MB in Windows 7, so you can try to extend system reserved partition.
In disk management, you can only extend partition using the unallocated space next to its right side. so even if you shrink D: drive, the option to extend the efi partition is still grayed out. My suggestion is to use a third party software, AOMEI Partition Assistant, both the standard (free) or the Professional(paid) version can extend partition as long as there is unallocated space on that hard drive. to see more information read:
Fix "We Couldn?t Update the System Reserved Partition" Error
www.disk-partition.com/.../couldnt-update-system-reserved-partition-4348.html

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19678612
Relevancy 87.72%

Hello First let me tell you about my system nbsp nbsp This is an Inspiron E laptop with the T Core Duo processor running at GHZ nbsp nbsp It has GB of RAM and a brand new GB Hitachi Travelstar hard drive RPM nbsp nbsp It also has the GeForce Go GS video card nbsp nbsp nbsp It previously had Windows XP Professional bit and worked fine nbsp nbsp But I have three computers in my home and home office with E1705/9400 Inspiron Windows with entries exclamation "Base Device" my under point two Devices" "Other on - Installation New System Minor for Problem yellow 7 and would like them all to work better together on my wired home network so I am upgrading all three to Windows nbsp nbsp My two desktops one is Dimension XPS and the other is Dimension XPS seem like they will be no problem to upgrade to Windows nbsp nbsp But this laptop was not listed on Dell s Windows Compatibility List nbsp nbsp However the Windows Upgrade Advisor that I downloaded and ran seemed to say that Minor Problem with New Windows 7 Installation on my Inspiron E1705/9400 - two entries for "Base System Device" under "Other Devices" with yellow exclamation point it was OK to do a clean install of bit Windows and it only Minor Problem with New Windows 7 Installation on my Inspiron E1705/9400 - two entries for "Base System Device" under "Other Devices" with yellow exclamation point had a few minor concerns where it said to check for updated drivers from the manufacturer nbsp nbsp The laptop originally came with a GB hard drive nbsp nbsp For my use that is getting very small so I decided to get the same exact RPM drive in the GB size nbsp nbsp This will allow me to do a clean install of the bit Windows OS on the new hard drive and not have to wipe the old drive to do it nbsp nbsp I can just hold onto the old HD and stick it back in whenever I might need to get something off of it So here is my minor problem nbsp nbsp After transferring a few needed items off the old hard drive I installed the new GB drive and did a clean install of the bit version of Windows nbsp nbsp nbsp I m happy to report that I had virtually no problems with the installation and everything appears to be working fine nbsp nbsp It seems a little bit more zippy than it was before and I haven t run into anything so far that doesn t seem to be working nbsp nbsp I have gone through most of the features and most everything looks great nbsp nbsp But there is one minor problem showing in the Device Manager nbsp nbsp At least I think it s a minor problem but maybe someone else can give me some input as to whether it is or not In the Device Manager List there is a category now called quot Other Devices quot and the icon shows a little white circle with a question mark in it nbsp nbsp nbsp When you expand this category you see two identical entries that say nbsp nbsp quot Base System Device quot nbsp and the icon has a yellow circle with an exclamation point in it nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp I know from previous experience that it s not a good thing to see items in the Device Manager that have a yellow circle with an exclamation point nbsp nbsp I have clicked on both of these and neither one really tells you what the device is or who made it or who s website you would go to for a driver nbsp nbsp nbsp Under the general tab it has the following information nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Device Type nbsp nbsp nbsp - nbsp nbsp nbsp Other Devices nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Manufacturer nbsp nbsp - nbsp nbsp Unknown nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Location nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp - nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp PCI Bus nbsp Device nbsp Function nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Under De... Read more

A:Minor Problem with New Windows 7 Installation on my Inspiron E1705/9400 - two entries for "Base System Device" under "Other Devices" with yellow exclamation point

BTW, I just downloaded and installed the driver pack from that ftp location and it worked, even for Windows 8.1 - 64 bit.
Thanks Steve!

Roger

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19313275
Relevancy 87.72%

So I had to reinstall Windows due to human error on cloning a hard drive it was am and I installed Windows on my new hard drive Spinpoint F TB but the installer has set my drives up like this I have done what this guy said here http www hanselman com blog Switch CDEdit aspxand it successfully copied the BOOT folder from drive J to drive C so I have a BOOT folder on both C BOOT and J BOOT but BCDEDIT still shows that it is using J to boot from If Windows had a Boot ini it would be a simple case of changing J to C wouldn't it But no on Help? harddrive. wrong "System" the Windows has to be awkward So this is where I am asking for help i've Google'd around but my pea brain can't find the right thing all I want is to have the quot System quot on drive C as well so I can format drive J for storage plus if it dies I won't be able to boot at all TL DR J has the system boot files on it when I need them on C so I can format J I have copied the BOOT folder from J to C using Code bcdboot c windows s c Thankyou to anyone who helps

A:"System" on the wrong harddrive. Help?

Bump, please someone help. I don't want my old hard drive dying and then me not being able to boot Windows.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/system-on-the-wrong-harddrive-help-580362.html
Relevancy 86.86%

Hi I'm using Windows th - x and when I install EMET final the EMET system service is installed with the quot delayed start quot flag and the service and never starts after a reboot The "delayed settings 5.5 "DEP/ASLR service ineffective Policy are installed start" as by final and EMET default" same thing happened with the beta version I didn't notice it until the final EMET 5.5 final service installed as "delayed start" and "DEP/ASLR Policy settings are ineffective by default" was released This issue doesn't EMET 5.5 final service installed as "delayed start" and "DEP/ASLR Policy settings are ineffective by default" occurs with EMET I switched the service back to the normal Automatic not delayed start and EMET 5.5 final service installed as "delayed start" and "DEP/ASLR Policy settings are ineffective by default" everything seems to be working again I was wondering if anyone else experienced this issue Also can someone enlighten me about this warning message quot DEP ASLR Policy settings are ineffective by default see user's guide on how to enable them quot It appears when I enable the DEP ASLR EMET GPO I couldn't find any reference to this warning message in the user guide DEP seems to be enabled I have no idea how to check for ALSR other than Process hacker that shows ASLR as N A Thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/344d1ba5-bd12-421a-a2e2-410e1217d67a/emet-55-final-service-installed-as-quotdelayed-startquot-and-quotdepaslr-policy-settings-are?forum=emet
Relevancy 86%

Hi- Thank you for reading and wanting to help From reading most of the topics on this site I realize I am at a very beginner level of computer literacy so please bear with me if my questions and descriptions sound silly Tonight when I started up my computer I got this message in a bubble coming from an icon representing quot Antivirus System Pro alert quot in the tray on the bottom right quot picture of white x in red circle Windows Security Alert Windows reports that computer is infected Antivirus software helps to protect your computer against viruses and other security threats Click here for the scan you computer Your system might be at risk now quot Well I realize now Up Pro Popping System installed never program this "Antivirus Messages Alert" BUT i as I typed it it has a grammatical error which "Antivirus System Pro Alert" Messages Popping Up BUT i never installed this program gives it away as not real but anyway I clicked on it and apparently I have installed some demo version of something called quot Antivirus System Pro alert quot So I went to CP to remove the program but it is not there in the list So question one- where is the program so I can remove it Question two- I purchased BIT Defender Total Security for about so if this is a virus or something why did it not catch it And now that stupid window keeps popping up along with another window on its own at the bottom right with the header of the box being quot Antivirus System Pro alert quot saying quot INFILTRATION ALERT Your computer is being attacked by an Internet Virus It could be a password-stealing attack a trojan-dropper or similar DETAILS Attack from port Attacked port Threat Win Nuqel E Do you want block this attack quot And then I have to pick yes or no so I hit quot no quot just to make it go away This also continues to pop up Then I have a box in the middle of the screen pop up- it looks related b c the header is red with white writing just like the box I just described above This one says quot Spyware Alert quot in the header- if you need more details on the text tell me but anyway then I have to pick either quot activate Antivirus System Pro quot or quot Stay unprotected quot - i pick quot stay unprotected quot to get the box away These three things are popping up somewhat in a cycle about every thirty seconds Lastly whether I click any choice in any of the boxes or not sometimes my internet was on its own directing itself to http antivir-service microsoft com block php r and giving me an Internet error quot Cannot connect to internet quot I m sorry this is so long I dont know how to write it any more briefly b c I do not know what is critical to know and what is not HELP gt gt gt gt please thank you this is very frustrating and i am really clueless nbsp

A:"Antivirus System Pro Alert" Messages Popping Up BUT i never installed this program

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/antivirus-system-pro-alert-messages-popping-up-but-i-never-installed-this-program.835609/
Relevancy 86%

Help Please

Im in big trouble. I was going to format my hard drive of my PC when i discovered that my system did not recognize it. This is really weird because i was using it a year now and it was working fine. The message i get is this "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system".

A:"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system".

You need to have a floppy with the proper driver then press F6 at the beginning of the Windows install process. With the proper drivers, Windows will find your hard drive (probabyl a SATA one) & will allow you to use it as a boot drive.

ps. please use the search function as this topic has been discussed quite a few times.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-installed-in-your-system.59053/
Relevancy 86%

Hi, this is the first time I use anything like this... My problem is that my HP computer had the next error:

"NTLDR is compressed: press Ctrl+alt+del to restart", so I went looking for a way to fix it and I did the following:

"All you need to do is boot to the recovery console, and type the following commands, in order:

cd \
attrib -c ntldr
exit "

So, using the Windows Xp Upgrade Cd I did as I read, and now, my computer try to start and sends this message:

"The system is not fully installed. Please run setup again"

My question is, did I need to use the full version?? How do I fix it now??

Please help me!!!!

A:Windowx Xp Home Crisis "The system is not fully installed...?"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windowx-xp-home-crisis-the-system-is-not-fully-installed.386201/
Relevancy 86%

I did a reinstallation of Windows XP Pro on my main computer a few weeks ago device Installed" Are Drivers "No Reinstall: issues System XP - I would note that this is the first reinstallation of XP I have ever done I thought I covered all of the bases did a fair bit of studying beforehand but I apparently I may have missed something I wiped and re-formatted the HDD's reinstalled the SATA drivers and did a complete reinstall of XP I updated the bios video drivers etc Also made a separate Gb partition on my data drive XP Reinstall: System device issues - "No Drivers Are Installed" for the swap file Everthing has been working fine but I noticed a few odd things this AM when I was perusing XP's quot Device Manager quot There are several system devices listed which state quot No drivers are installed for this device quot The services are as follows Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller Direct Memory Access Controller High Precision Event Timer Motherboard Resources listed times Numeric data processor Programmable interrupt controller System Timer I went through everything listed under Device Manager even hidden devices - printers and non-PnP devices and the above are the only quot problem quot devices I found It looks like I omitted something when installing the motherboard software chipset but I don't know what it is was I have not encountered any major errors yet and I've been running it for weeks now It runs clean and fast I do get IE- windows stating that webpages failed to load on an occasional basis but not sure if this is related FYI - My motherboard system and bios info follows Mobo Intel DP DP http www intel com support motherb DP index htm BIOS DPP J A original version was DPP J A Proc Intel Core Duo E GHz Mem x Gb DDR OS Win XP Pro SP Are these services quot optional quot some sound important or did I miss something when reinstalling the chipset and drivers Thanks Mike T

A:XP Reinstall: System device issues - "No Drivers Are Installed"

Those should work fine without drivers. Did you install SP3?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-reinstall-system-device-issues-no-drivers-are-installed-348914.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I realize that this topic has been posted before but none of the other ones fit my situation so I figured I would post my own in order to get a more tailored response Ok so I recently like hours ago did a System Restore of my HP Pavilion a c running Windows XP Service Pack because I was having major issues that could not be Help! Is Installed", edit can't "System Not registry! Fully resolved without restoring the system System restore went fine I created the new user info and everything but when it restarted into quot user partition quot after the usual startup screen with the windows flag scrolling bar it shows a black screen and an error message that says quot system is not fully installed quot I've looked up this problem on other sites and they all tell me I have to edit the registry So I opened up command prompt at startup at the system recovery screen and I did all the steps- but I can't find the lt windows system config gt file that all references Help! "System Is Not Fully Installed", can't edit registry! point me to I chose the C Drive from the drop-down list in regedit but all that's there is an empty Documents and Settings folder an empty RECOVERY folder and a MVM tmp file I chose a non-destructive system restore so all my data should still be intact but now I'm worried that since I can't even find the windows folder the whole thing was wiped clean I figured at this point I'm Help! "System Is Not Fully Installed", can't edit registry! better off disconnecting the HDD from my broken PC and trying to transfer my documents Help! "System Is Not Fully Installed", can't edit registry! movies music and photos to another working PC and just doing a clean wipe but is there ANYTHING else that I could do I'm really sorry I can't provide much more info but if you ask I might know EDIT And I'm not running Windows Media Player I know that that is often attributed to the quot system was not fully installed message quot

A:Help! "System Is Not Fully Installed", can't edit registry!

NEW EDIT

Okay, I was able to find the WINDOWS folder, and it seems my files are intact. However, the problem of there being no "system32" folder remains, prohibiting me from editing the registry. I'm going insane trying to figure this one out, so please help me out!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-system-is-not-fully-installed-cant-edit-registry-276384.html
Relevancy 85.57%

My system is recognizing less than Half of my Installed RAM DDR - OCZ REAPER MHz GB on Windows XP PRO SP bit MSI P Platinum Intel Q Maximum RAM Supported GB FSB set to x http www tomshardware com forum - -windowsxp-recognizing Windows XP Professional -bit is limited to GB of address space If you have GB of RAM installed it will not show GB within Windows What you ll probably get is the size of installed RAM "< " recognizes half Solved: System of your pagefile subtracted from the GB Some of this address space is reserved for hardware and the OS so you ll never have access to the full GB anyway If you want to access GB of RAM your best solution is to pick up XP Pro -bit but that will only work if your P CPU has EMT Click to expand Is this True should I pick up x windows MS explicitly states that Windows XP bit is limited to GB RAM MS also says that the PAE switch is available on XP but it is only available to allow Data Execution Prevention not to increase RAM beyond GB I have an IBM T p thinkpad running bit XP Pro with GB of ram but I only see GB So I m missing GB The concensus I get from several other blogs is the Intel p Chipset on this laptop limits what the Solved: System recognizes "< " half of installed RAM OS is able to see to GB Some of my colleagues hae the IBM T p laptop It has the intel p chipset and my colleagues say it sees all GB These numbers are despite the fact that both laptops have a MB Video card I think some chipsets may limit the actual RAM windows sees Also I hear windows properties sometimes says GB when task manager will report or less Physical RAM is not always shared with the video card so don t expect that to always crop your physical ram number Click to expand Ill try some benchmark software can anyone recommend something nbsp

Relevancy 85.57%

When I logged on this am- it announced there was a problem with my hard drive-but Computer with Running identified Serious virus Error" from AVG,"Recovered Alot,no nothing more I ran the scans- nothing there However- the computer shut down and the error message was this C DOCUME OWNER LOCALS TEMP WERa dor mini dmp C DOCUME OWNER LOCALS WERa dir sysdata sm It s been running alot for a few days- since Friday and there was a virus on it- which I removed and confirmed by running scan agaign in safe mode I ran this yesterday- and removed the Symentec no longer use AdManCtl KazzaLite -but didn t help screens keep freezing up help brenda Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP Computer Running Alot,no virus identified with AVG,"Recovered from Serious Error" SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINNT System smss exe C WINNT SYSTEM winlogon exe C WINNT system services exe C WINNT system lsass exe C WINNT system svchost exe C WINNT System Computer Running Alot,no virus identified with AVG,"Recovered from Serious Error" svchost exe C Program Files Sygate SPF smc exe C WINNT system spoolsv exe C Program Files AVPersonal AVGUARD EXE C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe C Program Files AVPersonal AVWUPSRV EXE C WINNT system CTsvcCDA EXE C WINNT System nvsvc exe C WINNT System svchost exe C WINNT Explorer EXE C Program Files Visual Networks Visual IP InSight SBC IPClient exe C Program Files Visual Networks Visual IP InSight SBC IPMon exe C Program Files AVPersonal AVSched EXE C Program Files Internet Spy InternetSpy exe C WINNT system CTF ctfmon exe C Program Files Java j re bin jusched exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe C WINNT system CTHELPER EXE C WINNT System qttask exe C PROGRA SBCSEL SMARTB MotiveSB exe C WINNT system SK DM EXE C WINNT GWMDMMSG exe C WINNT System spool DRIVERS W X E S I G EXE C Program Files Admanager Controller AdManCtl exe C Program Files Adaptec Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exe C WINNT System svchost exe C Program Files Microsoft ActiveSync WCESCOMM EXE C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Creative MediaSource Detector CTDetect exe C QUICKENW QWDLLS EXE C Program Files SBC Self Support Tool bin mpbtn exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OUTLOOK EXE C Program Files Microsoft Office Office WINWORD EXE C PROGRA WINZIP wzqkpick exe C WINNT system NOTEPAD EXE C PROGRA WINZIP winzip exe C Documents and Settings Owner Local Settings Temp HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http www yahoo com search ie html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www MyCopper net R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http red clientapps yahoo com cus search ie html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http yahoo sbc com dsl R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default http red clientapps yahoo com cus www yahoo com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Copper net Internet Explorer R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride lt local gt O - BHO IEWatch Spy - DDD - E- B- A D-D - C Program Files Internet Spy iewatcher dll O - BHO AIM Helper - D E A - - -B D -B A DE C - C Program Files AIM Toolbar aimhelper dll file missing O - Toolbar Yahoo Companion - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn ycomp dll O - HKLM Run IPInSightLAN quot C Program Files Visual Networks Visual IP InSight SBC IPClient exe quot -l O - HKLM Run IPInSightMonitor quot C Program Files Visual Networks Visual IP InSight SBC IPMon exe quot O - HKLM Run SmcService C PROGRA Sygate SPF smc exe -startgui O - HKLM Run AVSCHED C Program Files AVPersonal AVSched EXE min O - HKLM Run InternetSpy C Program Files Internet Spy Interne... Read more

A:Computer Running Alot,no virus identified with AVG,"Recovered from Serious Error"

i run AVG also and have had no problems. i also run panda free on line scan once a week. it takes some time but i think you should try it. website below i see you have a lot of symantec files showing. you should not be running two anti virus programs together.

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-running-alot-no-virus-identified-with-avg-recovered-from-serious-error.333861/
Relevancy 85.14%

This is not really a problem more like a nerdy technical question since I like being informed about the goings-on in my PC I hope I posted it in the right section since IMVU would probably fall instead IMVU Files" "Program in "AppData\Roaming" of Installed more under quot game quot than anything else I have always been curious as to why would the developers of the chat client IMVU decide to have the program install within C Users username AppData Roaming IMVUClient previous versions did so under quot Documents and Settings quot instead of quot Program Files quot or quot Program Files x quot on Windows I am also curious if this unconventional choice could potentially make my PC vulnerable to attacks Now the program works fine AFAIK but I m puzzled by IMVU Installed in "AppData\Roaming" instead of "Program Files" this I m the kind of user who likes having the choice of installing apps in a drive other than C to free space in C for portability etc and who gets nervous when apps do not install or behave the way that I m used to I was told by someone more knowledgeable than me that it was probably a lazy way to get around administrative install rights in Windows Vista and Windows He also added that the cache data of the program shouldn t IMVU Installed in "AppData\Roaming" instead of "Program Files" be in Roaming when there is no upper limit or even default size set on it And yes this has been asked on their forums but no staff member ever answered it only a forum mod who didn t IMVU Installed in "AppData\Roaming" instead of "Program Files" have a clue Any ideas Or am I being overly paranoid Ed nbsp

Relevancy 84.71%

Dear Tech Support It seems I have got a virus A pretty serious one I was browsing different websites in Firefox about an hour ago when suddently it closes down and multiple maybe hundreds of windows opens on my desktop I close a couple of them but realizes it is useless and perhaps stupid seconds later what appears to be a legit Windows window opens the same type that opens when you plug in a USB drive telling me I have quot harddrive error quot I kind of panic and shut down the computer on the psychical quot power of quot -button Then after some thinking I open the computer in Safe Mode to see what is going on Everything i gone I try to relax with down, shut error". Opens everything "harddrive multiple After windows gone. and figures that it might help to System Restore Opens multiple windows with "harddrive error". After shut down, everything gone. back to last Windows Update from the th of April Computer reboots and I log in Almost everything i gone There I see Opens multiple windows with "harddrive error". After shut down, everything gone. the Internet Download Manager icon the program i use to catch direct downloads from the internet in the bottom right corner is still there So I open the program and sees some of my previous downloads I don't remember completely but thye seemed old I right click and chooses quot Show in folder quot It opens the folder but before I can see anything it opens hundreds of windows again telling me I got harddrive errors I quickly shut down the computer again Now I am here on my girlfriend's iPad Can someone help me It seems my files some of them at least is still on the computer maybe just hidden by the virus My school stuff is saved on Dropbox but I would love not to lose gb of music and all my other stuff - EDIT I am running Windows not sure which service pack - but I always update my computer when there is an update ASUS X SV quot HD GeForce GT Core i - QM GB RAM GB HDD DVD RW kamera BT W Home

A:Opens multiple windows with "harddrive error". After shut down, everything gone.

EDIT: I have Microsoft Security Essentials.

What I was mostly doing WHEN it happened, was browsing reddit while chatting with my friends on facebook. They also linked and directed me rather discusting subreddits (as a joke of course), but the second I got in there and noticed what it was, I closed the tab.

Else I haven't downloaded anything particular the last week. And nothing from untrusted websites; I'm normally pretty careful with downloading.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/opens-multiple-windows-with-harddrive-error-after-shut-down-everything-gone-640116.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi I've been reading the previous threads about my problem but I can't seem to find anything which fits my issues After Christmas when I got home from vacation my system was acting weird Apparently it had automatically installed some updates and after that it's not the same One thing which happened already this Explorer - on installed system" 11 but Internet gone "is is that Internet Explorer isn't starting at all When I clicked on it nothing at all happened I followed some suggestions in this forum to uninstall it by going to the View Installed Updates and Internet Explorer 11 gone - but "is already installed on this system" unistalled Internet Explorer - so now that is gone I then downloaded an installer from the Microsoft website IE -Windows -x -en-us exe But when I run it I get quot Internet Explorer did not finish installing Internet Explorer is already installed on this system quot But when I check the installed Windows updates there is nothing about Internet Explorer left In the image below I have sorted all updates in alphabetical order to show that there is nothing starting with quot I quot left at all The links to Internet Explorer in the Start menu are gone altogether I have no idea what to do next I don't know if it's related but all my Desktop Gadgets had also turned into small white squares I have found a separate thread for this in this forum but unfortunately it didn't fix anything

A:Internet Explorer 11 gone - but "is already installed on this system"

You might get better help if you get this thread moved to the Windows Updates & Activation sub-forum.

I found this MS thread you can look through and see if you want to try some suggestions:
Cannot Uninstall Internet Explorer 11

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/359734-internet-explorer-11-gone-but-already-installed-system.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I have Windows XP Pro., sp3.

When you install a new program, what determines where it is listed: All Users>Start Menu>Programs or "user name">Start Menu>Programs?

reoneill

A:What determines if a program is installed under "All Users" or "user name"?

Usually some of the programs give you an option to install it under your user name or for all users during the setup process. So say if I was installing (CVTae) a resume programming on a Windows XP computer it will after the installation process ask me if I want to install it as all users (so it will show up on the all users start menu so everyone can see it) or just for me. That's where you can decide for yourself where you want to install it.

'So usually it's the user's choice of where it's listed in most cases, but certainly not in all cases.

Hope that helps mate.
Dan

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-determines-if-a-program-is-installed-under-all-users-or-user-name.744798/
Relevancy 83.85%

sup guys.. turns out i got my floppy working and got a bit carried away when a friend was over, told me to pop in seagate cds and erase drive... so i did.. now when i start up instead of it saying windows system32 error.. its says

press control alt delete..missing "NTLDR"...

anyways looks like the other plan with the windows 98 disks..and the windows xp disks to make it boot up...

is canceld... i do have a harddrive in that looks like 98.. but im not to into that, im gonna pop other drive back in and see what every1 has to say..

be back asap..later folks

Relevancy 83.42%

Hi, tgis is the first time I am here. I need your help!

I have following:

Dell Dimension 8100, P4, 1.7Ghz
RAM: 512MB
Operating System: WINDOWS ME

I want to do following:

I have bought the full version(RETAIL) WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL. I want to backup all my DATA FILES and "clean install" WINDOWS XP on this computer.

What are the stelp, precautions and anything else I need to take?

Anyother suggestion will be helpful.

Please help!

Thank you.

A:Want to upgrade operating system from "WINDOWS ME" to "WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL"!

Hi,
1. Back-up all your data.
2. Put CD into CD ROM (you may have to boot from CD). "Do not upgrade" do a clean install.
3. Click HERE for instructions on installation.

As you go along and if you have questions, just ask.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/want-to-upgrade-operating-system-from-windows-me-to-windows-xp-professional-42566.html
Relevancy 83.42%

6 Minutes Ago #1 (permalink) Hi guys,

It was my first time installing windows 7 so i didn't know anything about system reserved partition.
I assumed i should install OS on it so i extended system reserved partition to 60GB and installed windows on it

Now my c: drive, with windows on it, is labeled system reserved.

Everything is working fine, but i don't know if there could be problems in the future.
If so, is there a way to fix it without a reinstall

A:Installed windows 7 on system reserved partition

That`s a crazy way to do it and not the right way, but hey......

Did you use one of the tutorials and follow it correctly ?

If you do not create a partition and install windows, it will make a SR partition and a C: partition with your OS.

Your way is quite a new twist. Just get rid of the system reserve label and see if it reboots.

I would reinstall again , delete all partitions and just install windows to the 1 deleted partition and all will be perfect.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/267023-installed-windows-7-system-reserved-partition.html
Relevancy 82.56%

The problem my Zen Nano Plus gb flash mp player is not identified by windows xp home sp If I plug my player into a USB port of my Laptop Toshiba ghz P w gb RAM windows makes the noise to indicate a new usb device is attached In my system tray if I double click on the quot Safely Remove Hardware quot icon I can see the player is attached and identified The problem is that it should show up under quot My computer" Plus Zen identified "my in Nano not Computer quot as a drive but it does not Here is what I have done so far to solve this mulitiple emails to Creative Labs have not solved this I have tried the player on other XP and SE systems and it works The player does not require drivers other than those included in Windows I have reinstalled my motherboard chipset drivers flashed my BIOS and reinstalled XP after reformatting my HDD The only positive outcome is that the player did work briefly after my reinstall of Windows but after installing other software and USB hardware drivers it stopped working I have tried uninstalling other drivers hardware with no effect I can t see the flash player under quot computer management quot but it shows up as Zen Nano Plus not identified in "my computer" a USB device in quot device manager quot with no conflicts I have other external HDD which work no problem and I have tried the flash player after removing them with no effect I suspect Windows got corrupted by installing other software and hardware drivers What drivers file dll Zen Nano Plus not identified in "my computer" etc would be the culprit in this situation USB drivers or something else All of my other USB and as well as firewire devices work fine logitech keyboard web cam and mouse two external firewire HDD external floppy drive external tv tuner Leadtek Win USB II deluxe nbsp

Relevancy 82.56%

I have a user that is having a similar problem to the one described in this thread: http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/593620-solved-excel-password-protected-files.html

The difference is that she is having this problem in Excel 2010. I tried navigating to File > Options > General and then removing her name from the 'Username' field, but after saving the workbook, closing Excel and then trying to open the workbook again, she is prompted by Office to enter her name and initials. Even if we delete her information from here and click 'ok' the password prompt comes up (as it should) but still shows '<file name>' is reserved by <user>...

The workbook was originally created as an Excel 97-2003 workbook and apparently has macros; I tried saving it as a .xlsx but had to save it as a macro-enabled .xlsm file. I then tried the same steps to remove her username, but this did not resolve the issue.

A:Excel 2010 password protected workbook "reserved by <username>"

Just a bump since there has been no response

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/excel-2010-password-protected-workbook-reserved-by-username.1053753/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hello I have been having issues with a new Ram Reserved" both show is one DDR3 chips, but "Hardware up, 4Gb Two Ram chip I've been trying to install on my Asus K TA laptop I've spoken with a few knowledgable folks and so far the only conclusion was that my OS must be -bit However Two 4Gb DDR3 Ram chips, both show up, but one is "Hardware Reserved" I have double and triple checked I am running a -bit Windows Home Premium SP OS The two Ram chips are from different manufactureres however they are identical in every other way The one that came with the Two 4Gb DDR3 Ram chips, both show up, but one is "Hardware Reserved" laptop is by quot Hynix quot Hyundai and the new one Im trying to add is from Nanya I ran a CPUZ check and the two Ram chips are identical in every way the only difference was the manufacturer Memory SPD ------------------------------------------------------------------------- DIMM SMBus address x Memory type DDR Module format SO-DIMM Manufacturer ID Nanya Technology F F F B Size MBytes Max bandwidth PC - MHz Part number NT GC B HB NS-CG Serial number D F Manufacturing date Week Year Number of banks Nominal Voltage Volts EPP no XMP no JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC frequency JEDEC - - - - MHz JEDEC - - - - MHz JEDEC - - - - MHz JEDEC - - - - MHz JEDEC - - - - MHz DIMM SMBus address x Memory type DDR Module format SO-DIMM Manufacturer ID Hyundai Electronics AD Size MBytes Max bandwidth PC - MHz Part number HMT S BFR C-H Serial number E Manufacturing date Week Year Number of banks Nominal Voltage Volts EPP no XMP no JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC frequency JEDEC - - - - MHz JEDEC - - - - MHz JEDEC - - - - MHz JEDEC - - - - MHz JEDEC - - - - MHz I have tried removing The original Ram and just using the new Ram the computer won't boot at all when I try this I also tried putting the Ram into different slots Ram into Slot and Ram into slot Yet there was no difference and the Ram was still unusable I took the chips to Futureshop and a local computer repair center they both told me that the chips were compatable I was told this may also be strictly a Windows issue considering that the total Ram shows up in the Bios setup total of Mb If anyone knows what the problem may be or how i can fix this please leave a reply Thanks

A:Two 4Gb DDR3 Ram chips, both show up, but one is "Hardware Reserved"

If its detecting through bios then it should be working. This is indeed odd. So both sticks are similar but different brand, you're running 64 bit and they come up through bios. No hardware faults seem to be present so it could be something os related indeed. Is your system up to date?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/217704-two-4gb-ddr3-ram-chips-both-show-up-but-one-hardware-reserved.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Hello,

I have seen a fair amount of discussion regarding Win8 x64 OS demanding a high amount of RAM, but none of the solutions recommended have solved my issue.

My (inherited) Sony VAIO has 4gb (2x2gb) DDR3 RAM. This amount is recognized by BIOS. Resource monitor and task manager both inform me that 2.3gb of this RAM is hardware reserved. This seems atypical as compared to similar systems proffered elsewhere in this forum.

As far as I know, every aspect of the system is factory with the exception of the OS. It was upgraded from Win7 x64 to Win8 x64 before it came into my possession.

Quick Specs:
Win8 x64
Radeon HD 4200 (256mb reserved)
AMD? Athlon? II X2 2.10ghz
Screenshot for reference:
To this point I have tried:
1) Swapping RAM channels
2) Updating BIOS (from Sony Website)
3) Memory Diagnostic
4) Ticking and unticking MSCONFIG > Boot > Advanced > Max Memory

Thanks.

A:Unusually High "Hardware Reserved" Memory

My first impression is that the onboard graphics chip is using system memory for video. There should be some BIOS or other setting to control how much system ram it will use.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/49921-unusually-high-hardware-reserved-memory.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I have a disk that contains a Win x partition Previously the drive contained a small active boot partition partition Windows Making a a partition "reserved" without bootable that would load Windows from the current partition Now however all that I have is the Windows partition I rebuilt the MBR Partition table and my Windows partition is active Now I'm trying to build the BCD and related files so that my system will load Windows I booted from the Win disk and tried the automatic repair three times Making a Windows partition bootable without a "reserved" partition which did not help So I tried the following manual operations at the command prompt bootrec fixmbr bootsect nt all force attrib -h -s C boot BCD del C boot BCD bcdedit createstore c boot bcd temp bcdedit store c boot bcd temp create bootmgr d quot Windows Boot Manager quot bcdedit import c boot bcd temp bcdedit set bootmgr device partition C bcdedit timeout attrib -h -s C boot bcd temp del c boot bcd temp bcdedit create d quot Microsoft Windows quot application osloader bcdedit set ca be f -ff - e - ab-da c e d c device partition C bcdedit set ca be f -ff - e - ab-da c e d c osdevice partition C bcdedit set ca be f -ff - e - ab-da c e d c path Windows system winload exe bcdedit set ca be f -ff - e - ab-da c e d c systemroot Windows bcdedit displayorder ca be f -ff - e - ab-da c e d c Every command completed successfully but Windows will not start The system boots but hangs with a cursor in a black screen I can't think of any other steps unless I missed something Thanks

A:Making a Windows partition bootable without a "reserved" partition

Those edits are old school, XPired methods that leave you without WinRE and other important functions. We use automated methods now since there are many more parameters requiring testing and repair than just the BCD when you change the Active boot partition.

Mark the Win7 partition Active, then run Startup Repair - Run up to 3 Separate Times.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/300384-making-windows-partition-bootable-without-reserved-partition.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi all So I'm kind of stuck I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of quot loading files quot - gt quot Windows Boot Manager quot see How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows The Easy Way I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load I also end up at a OneKey Recovery as well unfortunately the laptop does not have initial backup or user backup Manager" -> files Boot ..." "Loading "OneKey" "Windows -> images I have a Windows CD for repairing purposes however I cannot load the BIOS UEFI to change "Loading files ..." -> "Windows Boot Manager" -> "OneKey" the boot order to load the optical drives first I have also tried to remove the CMOS battery to fix it did not work Also - Windows "Loading files ..." -> "Windows Boot Manager" -> "OneKey" Boot Manager Windows Setup EMS Enabled -- does not load properly leads to OneKey Recovery Safe Mode does not load properly Safe Mode with Networking does not load properly Safe Mode with Command Prompt doesn't load - tries to boot and load all files onto partition that is too small can't change partition Enable Boot Logging Enable Low-Resolution Video Debugging MOde Disable automatic restart on system failure Disable Driver Signature Enforcement Display Early Launch Anti-Malware Driver Start Windows Normally Any ideas would be greatly appreciated Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/55670-loading-files-windows-boot-manager-onekey.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Another question/puzzle. Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

I clean installed W8.1 three days ago, and the first thing I did was bring it up to date with all the offered updates. All installed successfully and I thought no more of it. At some point after this I made a system image backup, which today I have restored to. When I now look at the "classic" windows update screen it says I have never checked for updates and none are installed. Forcing a check for updates brings only two up as can be seen in the pictures. If I go to "view installed updates" then there is a lot of stuff in there, whih I assume could be the previously installed original batch.
I'm guessing this is normal behaviour but it seems slightly odd (the on screen messages at least)

A:No update history says "never checked" & "never installed"

Not odd... Considering that is a "clean install"(albeit with integrated updates) - thus no update history (file) exists.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/47960-no-update-history-says-never-checked-never-installed.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I have a 1TB clean hard drive. i have mistakenly extend the system reserved from 100mb to 400gb. Then I installed Windows there. Now, i want to format the system reserved, because now i know that OS should not be installed there.. My question is that can i still have my 1TB after formatting? I want to delete the partition afterwards then re-install the OS..I still have the installation CD..

A:Windows 7 installed in a system reserved extended from 100mb to 400gb

Post a screen print of Disk Management.
Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

Read through this tutorial for installing Win 7.
Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/369130-windows-7-installed-system-reserved-extended-100mb-400gb.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Got my computer back today "Your Security + Infected" "Internet 2010" problem System Is virus/malware Background Windows XP and my background is now all green with a black box in the middle saying quot Your System Is Infected etc quot Also a red circle with a white X in the task bar I can t open the task manager Can Anyone Help Downloaded HiJackThis My log "Your System Is Infected" Background + "Internet Security 2010" virus/malware problem Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at "Your System Is Infected" Background + "Internet Security 2010" virus/malware problem AM on Platform Windows XP "Your System Is Infected" Background + "Internet Security 2010" virus/malware problem SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree CFSvcs exe C WINDOWS system dlcqcoms exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exe C WINDOWS system DVDRAMSV exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgnsx exe C WINDOWS eHome ehRecvr exe C WINDOWS eHome ehSched exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Controls TFncKy exe C WINDOWS system TDispVol exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C WINDOWS ehome ehtray exe C Program Files Toshiba Toshiba Applet thotkey exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP Toshiba exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe C Program Files ltmoh Ltmoh exe C WINDOWS AGRSMMSG exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree NDSTray exe C Program Files Toshiba Tvs TvsTray exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Zooming Utility SmoothView exe C WINDOWS system dla DLACTRLW exe C Program Files Intel Wireless bin ZCfgSvc exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe C Program Files Dell Photo AIO Printer dlcqmon exe C Program Files Dell Photo AIO Printer memcard exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C WINDOWS system TPSBattM exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree CFSServ exe c TOSHIBA IVP swupdate swupdtmr exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Applet TAPPSRV exe C Program Files QuickTime QTTask exe C WINDOWS system winupdate exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exe C Program Files Viewpoint Common ViewpointService exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Corel Corel Photo Album MediaDetect exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSCDSPD toscdspd exe C Program Files AIM aim exe C Program Files MP Player mp Player exe C Program Files Yahoo SoftwareUpdate YahooAUService exe C Program Files InternetSecurity IS exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader reader sl exe C Program Files McAfee Security Scan SSScheduler exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C WINDOWS system RAMASST exe C Program Files Cisco Systems Clean Access Agent CCAAgent exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS system dllhost exe C WINDOWS eHome ehmsas exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C PROGRA Intel Wireless Bin Dot XCfg exe C Program Files AIM aolsoftware exe C PROGRA Yahoo Messenger ymsgr tray exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www yahoo com fr fp-yie R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com fr fp-yie R - HKLM Software Microsoft Inte... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/your-system-is-infected-background-internet-security-2010-virus-malware-problem.889124/
Relevancy 81.27%

Got my computer back today Windows XP and my background is now all green with a black box in the middle saying quot Your System Is Infected etc quot Also a red circle with a white X in the task bar I can't open the task manager Can Anyone Help Downloaded HiJackThis My log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan "Internet Security System virus/malware "Your Infected" problem Background 2010" + Is saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe "Your System Is Infected" Background + "Internet Security 2010" virus/malware problem C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree CFSvcs exe C WINDOWS system dlcqcoms exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exe C WINDOWS system DVDRAMSV exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgnsx exe C WINDOWS eHome ehRecvr exe C WINDOWS eHome ehSched exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Controls TFncKy exe C WINDOWS system TDispVol exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C WINDOWS ehome ehtray exe C Program Files Toshiba Toshiba Applet thotkey exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP Toshiba exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe C Program Files ltmoh Ltmoh exe C WINDOWS AGRSMMSG exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree NDSTray exe C Program Files Toshiba Tvs TvsTray exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Zooming Utility SmoothView exe C WINDOWS system dla DLACTRLW exe C Program Files Intel Wireless bin ZCfgSvc exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe C Program Files Dell Photo AIO Printer dlcqmon exe C Program Files Dell Photo AIO Printer memcard exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C WINDOWS system TPSBattM exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree CFSServ exe c TOSHIBA IVP swupdate swupdtmr exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Applet TAPPSRV exe C Program Files QuickTime QTTask exe C WINDOWS system winupdate exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exe C Program Files Viewpoint Common ViewpointService exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Corel Corel Photo Album MediaDetect exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSCDSPD toscdspd exe C Program Files AIM aim exe C Program Files MP Player mp Player exe C Program Files Yahoo SoftwareUpdate YahooAUService exe C Program Files InternetSecurity IS exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader reader sl exe C Program Files McAfee Security Scan SSScheduler exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C WINDOWS system RAMASST exe C Program Files Cisco Systems Clean Access Agent CCAAgent exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS system dllhost exe C WINDOWS eHome ehmsas exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C PROGRA Intel Wireless Bin Dot XCfg exe C Program Files AIM aolsoftware exe C PROGRA Yahoo Messenger ymsgr tray exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www yahoo com fr fp-yie R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com fr fp-yie R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Intern... Read more

A:"Your System Is Infected" Background + "Internet Security 2010" virus/malware problem

Hi and welcome to TSF.

I'm afraid HijackThis no longer provides the information we require.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link given below, as far as they possibly can, before posting for assistance.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

If you have problems with any of the steps, simply move on to the next one and make a note of the problem in your reply.

Please note that the Security Forum is always busy, so I would ask for your patience while waiting for a reply - it may take a few days.

This thread will now be closed.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/your-system-is-infected-background-internet-security-2010-virus-malware-problem-445923.html
Relevancy 80.84%

Good Morning I would like to introduce "Incomplete" NO DESKTOP Files ? up & RESTORE Temp after "Strange" & SYSTEM booting ? myself I am new to the forum Should I address an issue inappropriately kindly alert me Most recently I have experienced multiple PC issues Recently I performed a System Recovery and encountered the following Cannot perform a SYSTEM RESTORE The message is Restoration Incomplete Your computer cannot be restored quot When I booted up this morning and DID NOT HAVE A DESKTOP The screen was blank no Icons The items below are APPEARING IN MY TEMP FOLDER and are located at C DOCUME COMPAQ LOCALS Temp a tmp plus similar numbers b IswTmp c msohtmlclip d msohtmlclip I delete the above items through safe mode but they re-appear I am MOST CONCERNED ABOUT Items amp SYSTEM SPECIFICATION DESKTOP PC Windows XP SP HP Compaq Presario - Media Center Edition AMD Athlon m Processor X -Based PC - -bit package MOTHERBOARD Chipset - ATI RADEON XPRESS CHIPSET Version Build Processor If someone would give me some feedback I would appreciate it tremendously THANKS IN ADVANCE Kind regards AJ

A:NO DESKTOP after booting up & SYSTEM RESTORE "Incomplete" & "Strange" Temp Files

Usually when the machine has a "blank" desktop, the boot/startup process has been interupted or is frozen to before Explorer is launched.

You can launch Explorer manually be navigating C:\Windows and double-clicking "Explorer".

If successful, do the following:

Start>Run>(type) "msconfig" and turn off all non-MS services and all startups.

Then, Start>Run>(type) "cmd", and at the command prompt type "chkdsk /f" and schedule a chkdsk to run on next reboot.

Reboot system and report results.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/no-desktop-after-booting-up-and-system-restore-incomplete-and-strange-temp-files-516065.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Using "System Performance" DCS reports some events are lost. To fix it, I need to increase buffer size but I can't do it because all parameters are disabled. 
When I create custom DCS with same trace (based on "Windows Kernel Trace" provider) I increase num of buffers and everything works fine.
How can I change it for "System Performance"?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4fefd1b3-0229-4374-8691-6a3d594dc3ea/increase-buffer-size-for-quotnt-kernelquot-trace-in-quotsystem-performancequot-dcs?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 80.41%

Which one should I do? I originally wanted to just do "Return computer to factory condition" but Theog just suggested "Use A System Image Created Earlier." I have no idea what to do. So confusing!

A:"Return computer to factory condition" or "Use A System Image Crea..."

Hello M4TE and welcome to Seven Forums. Sorry for the delay in responding but I just came across your question.

Most newer manufactured computers have a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive. The manufacturer provides specific instructions on how to access that partition in case you want to restore your machine to the exact condition it was in when it left the factory. That means you'd have to go through the time consuming process of cleaning out factory bloatware (like free trials of programs you'll never need), installing programs you do need, updating everything, creating your personal settings, etc. Here is a general idea of how to access the hidden recovery partition.

HP Recovery From Partition

Let's say it took you a day or two to set up your machine to your liking using the hidden recovery partition. A System Image is like a snapshot of your entire hard drive. It will include everything from the operating system to all your programs, files, photos, music, all updates ... everything. Most folks keep it on a separate external hard drive. Let's say a week later you get a virus or your machine crashes for some reason. You can use that System Image to return your machine to the exact condition it was in when you made the image. Usually takes about 30 minutes or so and you're back in business. It's a lot faster and more convenient to only worry about a week of updates compared to probably months with the hidden recovery partition. The newer a System Image is the less you have to worry about.

But one caution: since a System Image is, for all purposes, an exact duplicate of the hard drive, it will also include any malware that may be on the machine. So if in doubt, it might be best to use the hidden recovery partition to start off with a clean slate and then make a System Image immediately following all customizing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/185899-return-computer-factory-condition-use-system-image-crea.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I have been getting these quot Bad Pool Header quot and quot System Service Exception quot BSODs for about a day now the quot Bad Pool BSODs Service Pool Random "System and Exception" Header" "Bad Header quot one tends to pop up more often then the other btw I ran a registry cleaner which didn't work and ran memtest this morning and it showed that my memory was fine The BSODs tend to occur more often when I am Random "Bad Pool Header" and "System Service Exception" BSODs playing a game or running some program that uses a bit more memory but it also happens when I am just on the internet On the other hand last night I did nothing but surf YouTube for hours and didn't get a BSOD at all However since then I haven't been able to do anything for more than minutes without being Random "Bad Pool Header" and "System Service Exception" BSODs in safe mode without it crashing and this morning it completely froze until I turned it off My OS is Windows Home Premium bit It came preinstalled from the manufacturer and unfortunately I do not have the install disc The entire laptop is less than years old and there have been no major hardware changes and I have never reinstalled the OS

A:Random "Bad Pool Header" and "System Service Exception" BSODs

UPDATE: Another BSOD just happened after I left the computer idle for a couple of hours except this one said something about Asdsm.sys.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/224813-random-bad-pool-header-system-service-exception-bsods.html
Relevancy 80.41%

hi every body
My PC has lots of files called "Thumbs.db" & "System volume information" in all its drives.I cant delete these files and I think the cause of shutting my pc down automatically and showing blue screen is these files.the operating system is win xp/sp2.
I don't know what to do with these and what anti virus will delete them.please help me.
thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/virus-that-has-files-called-thumbs-db-system-volum-information.970177/
Relevancy 80.41%

Dear Experts,

I have created windows image on Drive F: but delete it after some time manually due to some space prob.
But while backup shows about 40 GB only few GB space got free after deletion. When i try to again take the the backup using windows 7 backup & restore option, its still shows 35 Gb of System Image in drive F: when i brows the Manage Disc Space option but i cant find it on the same drive. (Plz see attached pic)
Plz help me to locate this and delete the same.

Thanks

A:Cant find "System Image" of 36 GB but its shows on "Manage Disc Space"

Hello sattyaji, and welcome to Seven Forums.

It may still be showing if the system image was created as part of a Windows backup. Using the tutorial below to reset Windows Backup should clear it for you, but you will need to set up your backup again afterwards.

Backup User and System Files - Reset to Default Configuration

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/284067-cant-find-system-image-36-gb-but-its-shows-manage-disc-space.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I have been getting these quot Bad Pool Header quot and quot System Service Exception quot BSODs for about a day now the quot Bad Pool Header quot one tends to pop up more often then the other btw I ran a registry cleaner which didn't work and ran memtest this morning and it showed that my memory was fine The BSODs tend to occur more often when I am playing a game or running some program that uses a bit more memory but it also happens when I am just on the internet On the other hand last night I did nothing but surf YouTube for hours and didn't get a BSOD at all However since then I haven't been able to do anything for more than minutes without being in safe mode without it crashing and this morning it completely froze until I turned it off My OS is Windows Random Service Exception" "Bad Pool BSODs "System and Header" Home Premium bit It came preinstalled from the manufacturer and unfortunately I do not have the install disc The entire laptop is less than years old and there have been no major hardware changes and I have never reinstalled the OS

A:Random "Bad Pool Header" and "System Service Exception" BSODs

UPDATE: Another BSOD just happened after I left the computer idle for a couple of hours except this one said something about Asdsm.sys.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/random-bad-pool-header-and-system-service-exception-bsods-640978.html
Relevancy 80.41%

First off thank you for any assistance in advance Problem quot System Alert quot balloon in tray icon that will not go away and redirects me in IE to hxxp www virprotect com aff Using SpyBot Search amp Destroy and Ad-Aware SE I seem to have gotten rid of the problem of the Directs Trying Alert" That Balloon To "virprotect.com" Remove [SOLVED] To "System redirection of my home page as well as removed the trojan that caused all of this in the first place I think The pesky balloon however remains All pre-steps your forum recommeded have been completed Below are the logs your forum requests in advance please note that my DSS quot extra quot log file is attached PANDA ACTIVESCAN Incident Status Location Potentially unwanted tool application myglobalsearch Not disinfected c program files MyGlobalSearch Spyware Cookie Atlas DMT Not disinfected [SOLVED] Trying To Remove "System Alert" Balloon That Directs To "virprotect.com" C Documents and Settings Compaq Owner Cookies compaq owner atdmt txt Spyware Cookie Tribalfusion Not disinfected C Documents and Settings Compaq Owner Cookies compaq owner tribalfusion txt Hacktool HackTool KillProcWin A Not disinfected C Documents and Settings Compaq Owner Local Settings Application Data Wildtangent Cdacache E dat simple killw exe Potentially unwanted tool Application KillApp B Not disinfected C hp bin KillIt exe Spyware Spyware PeoplePC Not disinfected C Program Files Online Services PeoplePC ISP Dll RAS DLL DSS MAIN Deckard's System Scanner v Run by Compaq Owner on - - Computer is in Normal Mode -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- System Restore -------------------------------------------------------------- Successfully created a Deckard's System Scanner Restore Point -- Last Restore Point s -- - - UTC - RP - Deckard's System Scanner Restore Point - - UTC - RP - Configured easy Internet sign-up - - UTC - RP - System Checkpoint - - UTC - RP - System Checkpoint - - UTC - RP - System Checkpoint -- First Restore Point -- - - UTC - RP - Software Distribution Service Backed up registry hives Performed disk cleanup -- HijackThis Clone ------------------------------------------------------------ Emulating logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at - - Platform Windows XP Service Pack MSIE Internet Explorer Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS system smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe C WINDOWS system ati evxx exe C WINDOWS explorer exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C Program Files McAfee MSC mcmscsvc exe C Program Files Common Files McAfee MNA McNASvc exe C Program Files Common Files McAfee McProxy McProxy exe C Program Files McAfee VirusScan Mcshield exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C WINDOWS system hpzipm exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C Program Files McAfee com Agent mcagent exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Toolbox Apache Tomcat webapps Toolbox StatusClient StatusClient exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C hp KBD kbd exe C Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint point exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update hpwuSchd exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exe C Program Files Common Files AOL EE AOLHostManager exe C Program Files Yahoo Messenger Ymsgr tray exe C Program Files Common Files AOL EE AOLServiceHost exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Toolbox Javasoft JRE bin javaw exe C WINDOWS ALCXMNTR EXE C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Co... Read more

A:[SOLVED] Trying To Remove "System Alert" Balloon That Directs To "virprotect.com"

Download SDFix from here and save it to your desktop.

Please then reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :
Restart your computer

After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu with options should appear;
Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press "Enter".
Choose your usual account.

In Safe Mode, right click the SDFix.zip folder and choose Extract All,
Open the extracted folder and double click RunThis.bat to start the script.
Type Y to begin the script.

It will remove the Trojan Services then make some repairs to the registry and prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
Press any Key and it will restart the PC.

Your system will take longer that normal to restart as the fixtool will be running and removing files.
When the desktop loads the Fixtool will complete the removal and display Finished, then press any key to end the script and load your desktop icons.

Once the desktop icons load the SDFix report will open on screen and also save into the SDFix folder as Report.txt
(Report.txt will also be copied to Clipboard ready for posting back on the forum).

Finally paste the contents of the Report.txt back on the forum.

=========================================

This will help to identify malware on your system.
Please download Combofix from any of these locations:

Here
or
Here

Save ComboFix to the desktop and please ensure that you disable realtime security/virus programs that monitors your PC while CF is running.

1. Double click on combo.exe & follow the prompts.
2. When finished, it will produce a logfile located at C:\ComboFix.txt.
3. Copy and Paste the contents of that log in your next reply with a new hijackthis log. Do not use Code or html unless asked for.
Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it is running. That may cause your system to stall/hang.

Caution...Never run and remove files using ComboFix without being supervised by a security analyst.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/solved-trying-to-remove-system-alert-balloon-that-directs-to-virprotect-com-207199.html
Relevancy 80.41%

After privacy protection installed itself I no longer have a desktop. The task bar is still on the screen as well as the start menu. But when I click on the start menu there is nothing on it. The only programs that are running are " privacy protection", "windows security center", and "XP anti-virus 2012". All three of these are running completely by themselves and I never installed or downloaded any of them. I cannot get on the internet or do anything with my computer. I know that privacy protection and XP anti-virus 2012 are fake virus protection but when my computer was still somewhat functional, these programs did not allow me to run anything which made it hard to fight it off. I have some really important stuff on my computer and I would hate to lose it all.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-desktop-or-icons-in-start-menu-after-privacy-protection-installed-itself.1028889/
Relevancy 80.41%

When I launch WU form the std start menu shortcut it launches wuapp exe installed updates update menu - Windows shortcut "hang" & and just hangs I have to terminate the process in task manager Additional launches additional hung processes Shortcut target windir system wuapp exe startmenu Starts in windir system The same condition occurs if I try to launch wuapp exe directly from windir system Yesterday I checked the Effective permissions for my Windows update "hang" - menu shortcut & installed updates user on wuapp exe full control Today after running the Windows WU Troubleshooter and WU MS Fixit the permissions read read amp execute The issue is twofold The standard WU shortcut quot hangs quot but Control Panel WU does not hang until I try to view installed updates viewing history seems to be ok I have to terminate the process in Task Manager once I try to view installed updates As a workaround I created a shortcut to Control Panel WU - this allows me to check for and apply updates Shortcut target Control Panel All Control Panel Items Windows Update A few things that might have caused this - recent activity but just guessing I installed Advanced Uninstaller Pro and played with it but did not apply anything it suggested Windows update "hang" - menu shortcut & installed updates One thing I tried was duplicate files - eventually killing it due to time lots of dups lots of files Uninstalled said Some files must be manually deleted without indicating which files A serch for the program named turned up a few folders deleted them and ran cCleaner nothing in registy associated with the app I allowed an add-on to IE for Microsoft Update Catalog when I was investigating a solution for another member Adv Uninstaller has been uninstalled Control Panel and the add-on for MS Updt Cat has been disabled only choice Both the Win troubleshooter and MS Fixit reported success fixing default WU locations Odd that yesterday Win troubleshooter said it fixed it Windows update "hang" - menu shortcut & installed updates and today the MS fixit said it fixed what seems to be the same issue I stopped and started BITS was not started and WUASERV but did not delete qmgr dat files two exist rename the WU folders reset the security descriptors or re-register the services -- gt Just stopped and started SFC reported no integrity violations I have not run SUR I changed WU to receive only Windows updates instead of all MS updates ESET Mbam and Avast all reported clean I'm not sure at this point if WU auto is working properly I did not get a notification about a Defender update but there was one when I checked for updates Might have been a timing issue - if there are any Tuesday updates I'll see if I get notified before manually checking on Wednesday I'm not opposed to resetting WU but if I can get wuapp exe to behave without resorting to a sledge hammer - that would be great In the menatime I'll see what SUR reports Looking for that epiphany moment There are other folks that need help please don't spend a great amount of your time on this but if you've seen similar behavoir Thanks Bill

A:Windows update "hang" - menu shortcut & installed updates

I'm not sure that resetting WU would actually cure your problem - it sounds to me more of a systemic problem, possibly to do with one of the involved technologies (scripting, NET, etc.).

My wuapp.exe has TrustedInstaller as owner, with only Read and Execute permissions for users and Admins.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/278200-windows-update-hang-menu-shortcut-installed-updates.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I need help getting my printer to work with a fresh with (installed "Windows MFC 8300 with Update") Brother Trouble driver install of Windows Home Premium bit I had to re-install due to a CMOS error which I think was due to a dead battery It still could be something else seeing as I have had other problems with this install explained below Anyway the printer is an old Brother MFC it has been a workhorse Previous times I have re-installed Windows there haven't been any problems with this printer I simply install the driver from Windows Update Trouble with Brother MFC 8300 driver (installed with "Windows Update") the driver is named quot Brother MFC Series quot in the device manager But this time the quot Windows Update quot installed the driver and says everything is working properly but when I go to quot Devices and Printers quot it doesn't show up under quot Printers and Faxes quot There is a listing for quot USB Composite Device quot under quot Devices quot that shows quot Brother MFC Series quot Trouble with Brother MFC 8300 driver (installed with "Windows Update") as a scanner Not sure what that means I also tried to manually download the driver from quot catalog update microsoft com quot I downloaded different versions Trouble with Brother MFC 8300 driver (installed with "Windows Update") of the driver One has a file size of MB and the other has a files size of MB I ended up not installing either because I didn't know where the proper destination location was using the quot Expand quot command from the quot Command Prompt quot with quot expand lt CAB FILE NAME gt -F lt DESTINATION gt quot I think the file size for the quot Windows Update quot file was MB my memory isn't the greatest however I am currently running as a quot Standard User quot I also noticed an issue with an app I have used prior to this re-install quot Ultracopier quot On previous installs it installed fine and it required quot Administrator quot rights after boot But during this install it didn't work at all and didn't ask for quot Administrator quot rights after boot I have also had issues with a TB external hard drive related to permissions and accessing certain files and folders I don't know if any of this matters but I figured the more info the better Hopefully someone can help me with this because I really need this printer to work

A:Trouble with Brother MFC 8300 driver (installed with "Windows Update")

You may have to change to a User with administrative rights or an Administrator.

Quote:
There is a listing for "USB Composite Device" under "Devices" that shows "Brother MFC8600/9650 Series" as a scanner. Not sure what that means.

That means your unit is a MultiFunction device and include Printer, Fax, Copier and Scanner. Sometimes the scanner part will be picked up as a separate device because Win7 has a built-in function for scanning.

From Drivers, utilities and software updates for your Brother Product

Quote:
Dear Brother Customer:

Brother does not have a printer driver available for this model. Most operating systems include printer drivers with their installation program. Please check the manufacturer’s web site of your operating system to see if support is available for this model. If your operating system does not support this model, then this model is not supported.

Thank you for your understanding,
Brother International Corporation

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/354230-trouble-brother-mfc-8300-driver-installed-windows-update.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hello,

I was trying to use the Vista boot to format a drive that wouldn't let me boot properly... In the process I ended up installing Vista (I deleted a partition and just clicked on stuff automatically cos I assumed it was the same bla bla, but it wasn't)

Anyways, I wanna know if I can recover my old Win7? It's placed in Windows.Old now and Vista is the OS that launches of course.

Thank you

A:Accidentally installed Vista and made it put the Win7 files into "Windows.Old"

You can re-install 7 and it will let you choose which OS to boot.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/accidentally-installed-vista-and-made-it-put-the-win7-files-into-windows-old-424068.html
Relevancy 80.41%

When trying to use Windows Update, the updates download successfully but fail to install. The following message appears: "Problem: A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or installed." I have turned my antivirus software off, I have tried updating manually, I have tried updating one at a time. Nothing seems to work. I now have a backlog of 13 updates that I'm supposed to install. Can anyone please help? THANKS!

A:Windows Update: "problem on your computer is preventing updates from being installed"

Boot into "Safe Mode with Networking" (restart while tapping F8 repeatedly) and see if you can install the updates. This should work.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/windows-update-problem-on-your-computer-is-preventing-updates-from-being-installed-75596.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I just installed a home use version of Microsoft Office 2010 on my home PC. Previously this was a problem free, perfectly working installation of Windows 7. Now it appears that the office installation has killed it. Instead of booting up properly, my PC hangs at "Windows is loading files..." if I choose safe mode. Or if I tried to boot up without safe mode, it just freezes at "Starting Windows".

This is a huge problem for me since I work from home. Has anyone been able to solve this issue?

A:Installed "Home Use" Office 2010 on Windows 7. Now my PC Wont boot!

Sounds like a bad install. I would use system restore to return to a point prior to installation. I would then try the OS for a while make sure that it works properly. Then make a system restore point and try to install again.

Try to get to system restore from safe mode. If cannot be done report back and we might try another approach. Try a start up repair
Startup Repair

Many may say, just uninstall. In the case of a bad install, I want to be sure that all is back to where you started and no remnants remain

System Restore

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/94933-installed-home-use-office-2010-windows-7-now-my-pc-wont-boot.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Right Quite a major error here relegating me to my netbook but here we go I recently Last week recieved my new baby- a quad core GB GPU GB RAM system with TB HDD A step up from the last rig that died roughly times better in fact Well my adoration was short lived Installed Windows Good Installed the ASUS drivers from the CD Good Downloaded the latest ATI drivers from the website Good Downloaded Steam and the recently purchased L D REALLY good Here the first problems reared their heads L D would suddenly hang at random whether there was installed (64 when 7 ATI Windows bit) latest "atikmpag.sys" drivers error lots of onscreen or system activity or not but just for a few moments Then it would be a task manager stop-process job Then upon boot SHOCK BSOD With an atikmpag sys error Using nouse I googled this Windows 7 "atikmpag.sys" error when latest ATI drivers installed (64 bit) on a seperate machine After MUCH trawling I found it may be the video driver- BAD So safe mode boot uninstall driver notice vertical bands of discolourment on resolutions of x BAD More pixelated patches of discolour Windows 7 "atikmpag.sys" error when latest ATI drivers installed (64 bit) on lower res Anyway boots up fine minus drivers After much experimenting trying to get the drivers back without using the ATI Catalyst manager which can apparently cause issues I decided to ck it and install XP which doesn t get the atikmpag sys error No It just wipes all the drivers off the motherboard IE sound wireless adaptor GPU etc HELP PLEASE -Liam Howell damned depressed student and owner of quid pile of uselessness nbsp

A:Windows 7 "atikmpag.sys" error when latest ATI drivers installed (64 bit)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-atikmpag-sys-error-when-latest-ati-drivers-installed-64-bit.972634/
Relevancy 80.41%

i wasn't really sure where to post this, but i have the no audio output device is installed error in windows vista home premium. I have tried everywhere and the only solutions i found were, to scan for hardware changes in my sound card, to disable then re-enable it and to update the drivers. I have tried all those options and it still does not work, Apparently my drivers and everthing is up-to-date.
I am using a HP-Pavillon a1215uk with 3.2Ghz processor and 2GB ram. My sound card appears in device manager as "high definition audio device"

A:windows vista "no audio output device is installed"

Welcome to TSG:
Any error indicators in device manager?
And you have gone to the HP site and downloaded the latest audio device driver ?
Just to make sure that all bindings etc are correct,I might,in de3vice manager,uninstall the device and re-boot. See if that helps.
Just been on the HP site,I do not see a driver for that device and O/S.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-no-audio-output-device-is-installed.993209/
Relevancy 80.41%

On my 7 machine where the OS was installed including SP1 anyway, in comes this update today which I think is rather odd.
Anyone have any explanation for the apparent anomaly?

A:KB976932 "Windows 7 Service Pack 1" Installed Again Today??????

same here - what's cooking? geeks, help pls!

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/341327-kb976932-windows-7-service-pack-1-installed-again-today.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Thank s to Broni I will not HP not "Printer Officejet is.." print installed/services that Windows needs just shook a nasty Trojan virus However now that s all taken care of -the printer is not working The printer is a HP Officejet J All-in-One It prints scans and is a fax machine When I go on Microsoft Word and type in quot testing quot on a document and hit print the printer will print my sheet out no problems However if I try to print a picture or pdf file this HP Officejet will not print "Printer not installed/services that Windows needs is.." error message pops up For Pictures Print Picutures Error quot This picture can t be printed because no printer is installed or a service that Windows needs is not running quot --- Ok quot Click to expand For Pdf files Adobe Reader quot Before you can perform print-related tasks such as page setup or printing a document you need to install a printer quot -- Ok quot Click to expand I have uninstalled and re-installed the printer s hardware Made sure the printer s spooler is working that was an issue once a couple months ago Set the printer as the quot Default quot and made sure everything is plugged in correctly Like I said it will print perfectly fine if I go on Microsoft Word gt Edit gt Print gt Print and when it brings up the screen with all your print options I have to go up and select the printer name in the drop down box So my guess is that the other programs are not picking up on the printer by themselves because on Microsoft Word I have to manually select it Any ideas on how to fix this Any input would be greatly appreciated Thank you nbsp

A:HP Officejet will not print "Printer not installed/services that Windows needs is.."

uninstall the printer; reboot and then reinstall

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-officejet-will-not-print-printer-not-installed-services-that-windows-needs-is.176927/
Relevancy 80.41%

Long story short:
I finished using DBAN to wipe my hard drive clean in preparation for my Windows 8 installation, and I forgot to switch back to UEFI Boot Mode. (DBAN will *not* start unless legacy BIOS is activated.)

Have I reduced the performance of my computer in any way by doing this? Will I need to reinstall the OS in order to gain maximum performance?

System Specs
Dell Inspiron 660
Intel B75 Express Chipset
Windows 8 64-bit Home Edition

A:I accidentally installed Windows 8 with "Legacy BIOS" activated. Am I Okay?

Since it sounds like you've just installed Windows 8, it might be easiest and faster to just start over & reinstall with UEFI enabled.

While there's no guarantee that your hardware will boot more quickly with Windows 8 installed with UEFI enabled, it is highly likely that you will see some performance improvement. You will also be able to enjoy the added security of the Safe Boot features of UEFI.

For more info on UEFI, you can visit their main website --- UEFI - About UEFI

If you are feeling adventurous, however, I'll paste in a link here that has a somewhat complicated procedure to switch Windows 8 to UEFI without reinstalling Windows.
https://gitorious.org/tianocore_uefi...4_BIOS_to_UEFI

Best of luck,
. . . Gary

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/i-accidentally-installed-windows-8-with-legacy-bios-activated-am-i-okay-683832.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hello My Dell PC just installed a new Windows update and my sound doesn t work anymore It seems "No after device installed" is 10 update Output Windows Audio that there is suddenly no audio output device installed on my PC anymore I checked the system and got a troubleshooting report What can it be and "No Audio Output device is installed" after Windows 10 update how can I solve this issue Any help appreciated Thanks Steve Check audio device Detected There might be a problem with your audio device Potential issues that were checked Detection details One or more audio service isn t running Issue not present Both the Windows Audio and the Windows Audio End Point Builder services must be running for audio to work correctly Atleast one of these services isn t running Hardware changes might not have been detected Issue not present Sound Troubleshoot problems that prevent your computer from playing or recording sound Package Version Publisher Microsoft Windows Playing Audio Find and fix problems with playing sound Package Version Publisher Microsoft Corporation Hardware and Devices Find and fix problems with devices and hardware Package Version Publisher Microsoft Windows

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19994613
Relevancy 80.41%

I have never had a problem installing updates to Win 8.1 and all important updates are fully installed. Every time I try to update to Win10 it says "downloading Windows 10 - checking requirements" and then I get the above error message. Any help would be much appreciated!
Steve

A:"Windows 10 couldn't be installed" Error code 80070005

Same problem here. Tired of wasting hours downloading over and over again and getting the same error. None of the suggestions I have found and tried work. No wonder they are giving it away free. To frustrate the heck out of everyone. I find it hard to believe in all the testing, they had no occurrences of this and have not come up with a solution.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/9732-windows-10-couldnt-installed-error-code-80070005-a.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi guys I have been trying to install Win SP on my Lenovo SL laptop for the showing keeps "successfully" Update in Windows SP1 but installed Win7 last couple of weeks now without success The laptop would reboot and indicate configuring service pack run till about - and restart after trying for a while I have tried the steps stated on Troubleshoot problems installing Service Pack SP for Windows and Windows Server R - Windows Help without much success I have also downloaded the stand-alone and faced the Win7 SP1 "successfully" installed but keeps showing in Windows Update same symptom This is a fresh factory restore and I have not used any regcleaners on this laptop Some of the error codes encountered were B F with the latest being This is what my update history looks like as attached Though it indicates that SP has been successfully installed it is not listed under installed updates I ran CheckSUR and no errors were found in the log I ran SFC and no integrity violations were found Here is my MGADiag report Code Diagnostic Report ----------------------------------------- Windows Validation Data-- gt Validation Code Cached Online Validation Code N A hr xc f Windows Product Key - -MV MH- QJM- Windows Product Key Hash wgci Gdejx esg zTOe LWF Windows Product ID -OEM- - Windows Product ID Type Windows License Type OEM SLP Windows OS version ID B EA- C - F- D A-F F D C Is Admin Yes TestCab x LegitcheckControl ActiveX N A hr x Signed By N A hr x Product Name Windows Professional Architecture x Build lab win gdr - TTS Error Validation Diagnostic Resolution Status N A Vista WgaER Data-- gt ThreatID s N A hr x Version N A hr x Windows XP Notifications Data-- gt Cached Result N A hr x File Exists No Version N A hr x WgaTray exe Signed By N A hr x WgaLogon dll Signed By N A hr x OGA Notifications Data-- gt Cached Result N A hr x Version N A hr x OGAExec exe Signed By N A hr x OGAAddin dll Signed By N A hr x OGA Data-- gt Office Status Genuine Microsoft Office Standard - Genuine OGA Version N A x Signed By N A hr x Office Diagnostics B D AA B- - B D AA B- - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - E AD EA- -d E AD EA- - E AD EA- - E AD EA- -b a E AD EA- - E AD EA- - E B - - B D AA B- - Browser Data-- gt Proxy settings N A User Agent Mozilla compatible MSIE Win Default Browser C Program Files Google Chrome Application chrome exe Download signed ActiveX controls Prompt Download unsigned ActiveX controls Disabled Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins Allowed Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe Disabled Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control Disabled Active scripting Allowed Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting Allowed File Scan Data-- gt File Mismatch C Windows system wat watadminsvc exe Hr x File Mismatch C Windows system wat npwatweb dll Hr x File Mismatch C Windows system wat watux exe Hr x File Mismatch C Windows system wat watweb dll Hr x Other data-- gt Office Details lt GenuineResults gt lt MachineData gt lt UGUID gt B EA- C - F- D A-F F D C lt UGUID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt OS gt lt OS gt lt Architecture gt x lt Architecture gt lt PKey gt - - - - lt PKey gt lt PID gt -OEM- - lt PID gt lt PIDType gt lt PIDType gt lt SID gt S- - - - - - lt SID gt lt SYSTEM gt lt Manufacturer gt LENOVO lt Manufacturer gt lt Model gt CDA lt Model gt lt SYSTEM gt lt BIOS gt lt Manufacturer gt LENOVO lt Manufacturer gt lt Version gt JET WW lt Version gt lt SMBIOSVersion major quot quot minor quot quot gt lt Date gt lt Date gt lt BIOS gt lt HWID gt BBB FA lt HWID gt lt UserLCID gt lt UserLCID gt lt SystemLCID gt lt SystemLCID gt lt TimeZone gt Malay Peninsula Standard Time GMT lt TimeZone gt lt iJoin gt lt iJoin gt lt SBID gt lt stat gt lt stat gt lt msppid gt lt msppid gt lt name gt lt name gt lt model gt lt model gt lt SBID gt lt OEM gt lt OEMID gt LENOVO lt OEMID gt lt OEMTableID gt TP- J lt OEMTableID gt lt OEM gt lt GANotification gt lt MachineDa... Read more

A:Win7 SP1 "successfully" installed but keeps showing in Windows Update

Are you talking about the new small Service Pack 1 update ?

Your windows already shows Service Pack 1 in system properties doesn`t it ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/365083-win7-sp1-successfully-installed-but-keeps-showing-windows-update.html
Relevancy 80.41%

ok this is super super weird I upgraded a compaq presario from XP to Win Everything is fine except sound I receive the no audio device installed message I've done all the fixes issue "no I Windows installed" do 7 audio resolve How in device in windows uninstalling drivers How do I resolve "no audio device installed" issue in Windows 7 updating drivers EVERYTHING Nothing works I've even reinstalled the Win pkg to no avail But here's where things get interesting Prior to all of this I had XP sharing the computer with Xubuntu Under both systems the sound was fine Video How do I resolve "no audio device installed" issue in Windows 7 actually streamed better in xubuntu So I know the issue isn't hardware the sound card motherboard and what not I re-loaded xubuntu back alongiside and once again I have sound thru xubuntu No sound through Win Is there anything short of using xubuntu solely that I can do to get this Win audio issue resolved For what it's worth the driver isn't realtek it's multimedia audio controller I haven't found much How do I resolve "no audio device installed" issue in Windows 7 online about it I hear USB speakers might do the trick Thanks

A:How do I resolve "no audio device installed" issue in Windows 7

What does Device Manager look like ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/377826-how-do-i-resolve-no-audio-device-installed-issue-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hey everyone Today I got myself driver Windows installed" not was 7: "Device software successfully a new webcam for my PC Unfortunately I am unable to get it to work It is a TeckNet HD p Webcam and is supposed to be simple to set up -- you're supposed to plug it in and it's ready to go but instead I see the above error message The lights on the webcam instantly light up so I do know that there is power being supplied to the webcam It also came with Windows 7: "Device driver software was not successfully installed" a disc which contains an exe file When I follow the steps and hit Install however it comes up with the following message Quote quot Please plug-in UVC VIDEO CAMERA device quot I should point out that as far as I can tell this software isn't necessary for the webcam to function I believe it's simply a means of recording There is nothing else on the disc no drivers or any such important files There is also nothing on the manufacturer's website In Control Panel's Devices and Printers quot TeckNet quot appears under the Unspecified category with a yellow warning symbol When I attempt to quot Update Driver quot through Properties I get this Quote quot Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it USB Composite Device Access is denied quot I don't think the problem is specific to this device either The exact same problem actually applies to a memory stick owned by one of my relatives at least when I put it in my machine I put this in the other night only for it to give the same quot not successfully installed quot error but I shrugged it at the time thinking it would work the next day upon a reboot Yet the problem persists The memory stick does work on my laptop so it seems the issue is with my computer All of my long-term devices such as my mouse keyboard dongle and speakers however all function perfectly I have tried plugging it into different slots multiple restarts Microsoft's Fix It tool hours of Google searching and still nothing At this point I'm desperate for anyone's suggestions I am not sure if this is related or a separate issue but I'll throw it in here in case it's of use I am also strangely unable to install Windows' quot optional quot updates I selected some described with the purpose of quot resolving issues in Windows quot but when I restart they will not install correctly upon booting I forget the exact pop-up error message right now but I can find out if anyone wants it Thank you so much for reading and thanks in advance to your responses

A:Windows 7: "Device driver software was not successfully installed"

Hello Wonder Reece. Welcome to the forum.

In your google search did you find and try this solution:
Windows 7 will not install new USB Drives - Microsoft Community

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/328513-windows-7-device-driver-software-not-successfully-installed.html