Windows Support Forum

No POST screen, straight into Windows 7 startup screen, and freeze

Q: No POST screen, straight into Windows 7 startup screen, and freeze

Usually POST screen would show up first with a laptop company logo, but now Windows 7 startup appears first instead.

Then, the Windows 7 startup screen freezes immediately.

What's the problem? Motherboard or corrupted BIOS?

Thanks.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: No POST screen, straight into Windows 7 startup screen, and freeze

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: No POST screen, straight into Windows 7 startup screen, and freeze

Try a BIOS reset first.
Shut off the computer, remove the power supply, remove the laptop battery. Then press and hold the POWER button for about 30 seconds. Then put everything back together and boot.

See if that gets you the boot screen.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/277851-no-post-screen-straight-into-windows-7-startup-screen-freeze.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Hi screen windows (black screen startup BSOD and freeze all i have a problem with my pc it randomly freeze at startup BSOD (black screen and windows startup screen freeze getting me black white or distorted screens after min the pc reboot and all go normal this problem can come or times at the same time after the pc BSOD (black screen and windows startup screen freeze finish his reboot it get me an error like this Firma problema Nome evento problema BlueScreen Versione SO ID impostazioni locali Ulteriori informazioni sul problema BCCode BCP FFFFFA B C BCP FFFFF FECBAE BCP FFFFFFFFC A BCP OS Version Service Pack Product and if i go on operative center it get me this Firma del problema Nome evento problema LiveKernelEvent Versione SO ID impostazioni locali Ulteriori informazioni sul problema BCCode BCP FFFFFA AF F BCP FFFFF F C BCP BCP OS Version Service Pack Product ID bucket X x Tdr IMAGE nvlddmkm sys Informazioni sul server e f a - - b - f - c b d here are the information that i see in the bsod post introduction OS -windows x its an assembled pc by me and i ve installed original win Full reatil version the system have week i have upgrade it from an old one created by me year ago the OS has week i have re intsalled it after the upgrade cpu-- gt i K with an after market cooler video card- gt Nvidia GTX with afetr market cooler motherboard - gt asus p z -v gen power supply - gt corsair tx v System Manufacturer gt by me XD here are the output from Windows Vista jcgriff and from perfmon PS sorry for my bad english - -''

A:BSOD (black screen and windows startup screen freeze

Ok 116 error is caused by your Graphics card.
First thing to do is update your drivers from the NVIDIA website.

If BSODs continue Try HDD tests,
download gpu-z to check if your card is getting too hot, also is there lots of dust in the card?

Do you overclock your video card?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/bsod-black-screen-and-windows-startup-screen-freeze-622591.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello I have an issue with mu computer, I have just done a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Now my pc is freezing at the windows 7 start up logo (the HDD activity stops here too). My specs are as follow:
CPU: Intel quad core Q6600
RAM: 4GB DDR2 667MHZ( 4 1GB sticks)
HDD: Seagate 500GB
Graphics card: 8500GT
PSU: Corsair CX430

any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Milan201

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-startup-logo-screen-freeze.1005794/
Relevancy 81.7%

I've just built a brand new computer. When I start it up for the first time, everything spins up but it freezes at the "Press Tab..." or "Press Delete to enter setup..." It's frozen and no key presses respond.

If I repeatedly press Tab or Delete as the computer is booting up, it goes into the POST screen and locks up after "Initializing USB Controller... Done"

While working inside the case, I had my bare arms resting on the metal edges. Would that prove sufficient to ground myself?

The specs are:
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 280 1GB
CORSAIR 4GB DDR2/800 PC2-6400
AOC Envision 22" 16:10 5ms 720p LCD HDTV
Hitachi Deskstar 1TB HDD
LITE-ON 22X DVD▒R DVD Burner
MSI P7N Diamond LGA 775
Rosewill RX950-S-B 950W ATX 12V v2.2 & EPS 12V v2.91
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33GHz LGA 775

Relevancy 79.98%

when i start my computer it doesnt show anything at all and then about 20 seconds later the login screen will pop up and everything works after that. it all started when i got my new graphics card and now i gotta plug my moniter into the card. and while its booting i can switch the moniter to the normal built in moniter plug thing. i think its vga ( its the blue one without the fancy pins) the graphics card is a visiontek radeon x1300 256mb pci. and im using windows xp professional. thanks

A:Solved: Boot Screen wont show goes straight to login screen.

You need to change the primary video card in the BIOS setup of the computer from the onboard video to PCI-Express/PEG and then you need to disable the integrated video. Your computer is still set to use the integrated video card as the primary card. Once you have it set correctly to the PCI-Express card then you shoudl always have the monitor connected to the new card and it shoudl display everything correctly.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-boot-screen-wont-show-goes-straight-to-login-screen.825886/
Relevancy 79.55%

Okay so lately I've noticed that my PC isn't displaying the BIOS splash and skips screen PC to splash BIOS login straight screen goes screen anymore and skips straight to the Windows login screen It didn't really bother me until today when I wanted to boot into Ubuntu and I couldn't select which PC skips BIOS splash screen and goes straight to login screen OS I wanted to use I'm pretty sure the problem isn't the BIOS itself since I unplugged all the peripherals except the speakers removed all the RAM and PC skips BIOS splash screen and goes straight to login screen the BIOS did beep repeatedly And given enough time I can boot into windows and only windows Apparently people have had this problem before and all the solutions I've read such as quot Press 'del' to go into your BIOS quot really doesn't help since I can't see anything in my BIOS menu The only solution that made sense to me was that my CMOS battery could be dying I haven't changed my rig since I built it in The only significant event that happened recently might be that Windows updated itself tl dr -PC doesn't display BIOS splash screen -Can't see messages displayed by system -When windows does bootup everything runs just fine -Haven't changed rig for years

A:PC skips BIOS splash screen and goes straight to login screen

This is normally a BIOS setting called "Fast boot" or something such. It might have toggled off due to low battery causing a reset. This may also explain why a BIOS Boot Menu no longer appears.

It won't hurt to change your CMOS battery and might help. You can reset your BIOS at the same time which is also indicated: Clear CMOS - 3 Ways to Clear the CMOS - Reset BIOS

Do you have Ubuntu (wisely) on another HD so you need the BIOS Boot menu to show up when you press it's hot key? If so make sure all HD's are detected in BIOS setup and BIOS Boot order is set to preferred HD first. If BIOS Boot menu still doesn't show up using hotkey, change boot order to other OS HD to see if it will in fact boot.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/221468-pc-skips-bios-splash-screen-goes-straight-login-screen.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 12/18/2014
Scan Time: 8:57:07 AM
Logfile:
Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.00.4.1028
Malware Database: v2014.12.18.03
Rootkit Database: v2014.12.14.01
License: Free
Malware Protection: Disabled
Malicious Website Protection: Disabled
Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: KnightCat

Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 413164
Time Elapsed: 20 min, 38 sec

Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Disabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Warn
PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 0

Physical Sectors: 0
(end)

A:Had white screen freeze and found related post. Would like to try to clean.

DDS (Ver_2012-11-20.01) - NTFS_AMD64
Internet Explorer: 11.0.9600.17420 BrowserJavaVersion: 10.67.2
Run by KnightCat at 10:16:46 on 2014-12-18
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7601.1.1252.1.1033.18.32708.25708 [GMT -6:00]
AV: avast! Antivirus *Disabled/Updated* {17AD7D40-BA12-9C46-7131-94903A54AD8B}
SP: Windows Defender *Enabled/Outdated* {D68DDC3A-831F-4fae-9E44-DA132C1ACF46}
SP: avast! Antivirus *Disabled/Updated* {ACCC9CA4-9C28-93C8-4B81-AFE241D3E736}
FW: avast! Antivirus *Disabled* {2F96FC65-F07D-9D1E-5A6E-3DA5C487EAF0}
============== Running Processes ===============
C:\Windows\system32\lsm.exe
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k DcomLaunch
C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvSCPAPISvr.exe
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k RPCSS
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalService
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k GPSvcGroup
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k NetworkService
C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Display\nvxdsync.exe
C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork
C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\afwServ.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ArcSoft\esinter\Bin\eservutil.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Amazon\Amazon Games & Software Downloader\AmazonGSDownloaderService.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskhost.exe
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k apphost
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AXSP\1.00.19\atkexComSvc.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server\RTSS.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AI Suite II\AsRoutineController.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AI Suite II\DIGI+ Power Control\PowerControlHelp.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AAHM\1.00.20\aaHMSvc.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsSysCtrlService\1.00.13\AsSysCtrlService.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsusFanControlService\1.01.14\AsusFanControlService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\ClientX64\OfficeClickToRun.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Motorola Media Link\Lite\NServiceEntry.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech Gaming Software\LCore.exe
C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\wmdc.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Update Core\NvBackend.exe
F:\Games\Steam2\Steam.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Display\nvtray.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Drive\googledrivesync.exe
C:\Users\KnightCat\AppData\Local\Workspace\workspacestatus.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\IndieVolume\IndieVolume.GUI.exe
F:\Games\Steam2\bin\steamwebhelper.exe
C:\Users\KnightCat\AppData\Local\Workspace\workspaceupdate.exe
C:\Users\KnightCat\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Data\SpotifyWebHelper.exe
C:\Users\KnightCat\AppData\Local\FluxSoftware\Flux\flux.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Windows\System32\StikyNot.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\C2MP\TrayMenu.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\HpqSRmon.exe
C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastui.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Gizmo\gizmo.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Amazon\Amazon Games & Software Downloader\AmazonGSDownloaderTray.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Workspace\offSyncService.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\BlueStacks\HD-Agent.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Real\RealPlayer\RPDS\Bin64\rpsystray.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Real\RealPlayer\Update\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\Foxit Cloud\FCUpdateService.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\SamLogic\USB Supervisor\USBsupervisor.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\GeForce Experience Service\GfExpe... Read more

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/had-white-screen-freeze-and-found-related-post-would-like-to-try-to-clean.207599/
Relevancy 76.97%

I am having a problem with my pc and was wondering if anyone could help me
out. The problem that I am having is the screen freezes when I turn
it on and I am unable to use my keyboard or the mouse in attempt to boot
to safe mode. I have tried using a boot disk but that does not work
either. If anyone can possibly assist me or give some suggestions to solve
this, I would greatly appreciate it. This is the screen I get:

Phoenix-Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG, An Energy Star Ally
Copyright (C) 1984 - 2003, Phoenix Technologies, LTD

P4VMM2 Ver:1.10 05/25/2004

Main Processor: Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU 2.40GHZ(133x18.0)
Memory Testing: 262144K OK With 32768K shared memory

Detecting IDE Drives:

(this info is at the very bottom of the screen)
Press DEL to enter SETUP
05/25/2004-P4M266A-8235-6A6LWE1GC-00

A:Startup screen freeze

These Three mimum things require the post to post

CPU
RAM
Video Card

YOur cpu is posting
so is your ram

Do you have a video card??

Post will post with out a hdd and mouse dont even have to be present.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/startup-screen-freeze.21354/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hey there,I tried to start my laptop but it freezed on the windows screen loading for a. long time. I ran hard disk and memory test but everything is doing fine.Any help,Thanks.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Freeze-on-Startup-Screen/td-p/5656151
Relevancy 76.54%

Hey all,
I am having problems with the screen freeing when running multiple windows (Chrome, office etc etc). When I try to swap between windows, I get a freeze and I am unable to do anything.
The cursor can be seen moving around the screen but has no effect in any area. The Windows Key doesn't ppear, nor can I tab into another programme.
If I try and start task manager to see which program is causing this, it will not appear over the frozen image.
Is there a way of telling from an event log what program is failing?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?93064-Screen-freeze-and-black-screen-with-problems-multiple-windows
Relevancy 76.54%

Hello all this is my first time posting I receive a BSOD upon startup freeze updates BSOD on screen screen, windows sign in also once I reach windows login screen After a couple of seconds input will lock up Usually this is followed after a few moments by a BSOD though occasionally input is reallowed and computer functions normally This BSOD on sign in screen, also windows updates freeze screen continues until windows tries to install updates When signing off to reboot configurations reach and computer attempts reboot At this time before reaching the BSOD on sign in screen, also windows updates freeze screen sign on screen I get what I can best describe as a bunch of staggered blue and light blue lines across my entire monitor which requires me to hard boot my computer To restore functionality I have to go into safe mode where I'm informed 'failure configuring windows updates' and my computer automatically reverts the updates Afterwards I can boot normally and I'm back up to the login which occasionally allows me to proceed I've updated several drivers uninstalled recently installed programs and have backed up all files I care to keep I've tried to do a bit of research but I'm not getting very far and this has been going on for several days My most recent BSOD info is posted below please help before my computer bites the dust for good Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Additional information about the problem BCCode d BCP BCP BCP BCP FFFFF A A OS Version Service Pack Product Sorry also during the actual blue screen I receive the message IRQL not less or equal Thanks again in advance

A:BSOD on sign in screen, also windows updates freeze screen

Hi aballou

Take a look at the link below to show you how to upload the dump files

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/282628-bsod-sign-screen-also-windows-updates-freeze-screen.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Hi guys

My Toshiba Satellite C850 is not loading Windows 7 anymore. It goes straight to the error recovery boot screen. I have tried both options - launch recovery, start windows normally and also tried to boot in safe mode; no luck.

I woke up in the morning after hibernation during the night and it wasn't working.

Can anyone help me as it has my study files on there?

Thanks guys

A:Toshiba not loading windows 7 anymore, goes straight to Error screen

do you have a windows 7 cd or recovery disk? if you do pop it in and try booting, any missing or damaged files that the normal recovery process cant solve will take them off the disk.

Secondly.. WHY dont you have backups of you work if its that important!! leaving files on just 1 drive is a very BAD idea for this very reason.

admittedly even if windows was completely fubar you could take the hard drive out pop it in a caddy and then plug it into another pc and save the files from there.

from today try and consider the 3 2 1 backup method!

3 copies
2 formats
1 off site location.

basically 1 on your laptop, 1 on a pen drive and 1 on an external hdd or dvd.

2 formats isnt always possible with documents but saving text to a note padfile will work.

and 1 off site location, something like cloud storage, many offer free trials or small file accounts.

this is all essential.. especially in case of fire or property theft!!

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/332903-toshiba-not-loading-windows-7-anymore-goes-straight-error-screen.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hello,

I have a Gateway Ne56r48u laptop that is freezing immediately at the startup screen. The F Boot options for Bios, safemode ect will not appear. I have reseeded the ram, CMOS, hard drive and still the computer freezes on startup. I reseeded the ram and CMOS for more then ten minutes in the hopes to reset the BIOS. When I take out the hard drive the computer says there is no bootable device. I then attempt to boot from a cd bootable disk but the boot manager does not recognize that there are any devices to boot from.

I believe the problem is grave and the motherboard or another vital hardware component is shot. I am currently in Benin AFrica and have very few resources available to further troubleshoot the problem. Any advice on troubleshooting this issue would be appreciated.

Best,
Michael

A:Gateway Startup Screen Freeze

The system may be failing to boot from the CD if Secure Boot is enabled in the BIOS. What disc are you trying to boot?

Can you test the hard drive in another computer? A failed hard drive can cause the system to hang at boot and that would explain why you get further with the hard drive removed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/gateway-startup-screen-freeze.1125804/
Relevancy 76.11%

Hello I am about ready to smash my year old Dell Dimension Win XP started to hang this afternoon so I did a hard reboot which lead me to the quot Windows did not start successfully quot screen If I choose quot Safe XP Screen XP System At Freeze Win Startup Mode quot I get miles of gibberish and I have to shut down If I choose quot Start Windows Normally quot I get to the Win XP startup screen but I never move past Win XP System Freeze At XP Startup Screen it In the past I have fixed the problem by booting from my Win XP Upgrade CD and running the repair function At the C prompt I have had success using quot chkdsk r quot and quot fixboot quot commands however I am getting the same system freeze problem when trying to run the repair function today I can get to a C prompt using another bootable CD but receive a quot bad switch quot error when trying to run quot chkdsk r quot I am not sure what to try next Any ideas Thanks for reading

A:Win XP System Freeze At XP Startup Screen

At startup tap F8 and chose Last Known Good Configuration

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/win-xp-system-freeze-at-xp-startup-screen-82670.html
Relevancy 76.11%

All day I have been having strange startup problems which at this point seem to be consistent with the following At startup the motherboard splash screen will display but thenc hanges to a green screen that just hangs I have rtied swapping out my better PSU and plugging in a spare which does the exact same thing times It worked once but I can t get it to work again The freeze prevents me from entering BIOS also Before this stage The computer would boot and go into a windows error recover which gave me two options -start normally - blue screened at windows logo and reset -error correct - gets to loading on Startup. Screen Freeze Splash windows files and then hangs on black screen this occured with both PSUs Both PSUs work in a different computer Since I can t get around this it seems as if I m going to have to replace either the motherboard Splash Screen Freeze on Startup. or the powersupply but I m not sure which Ordinarily I would assume PSU but the spare PSU is almost brand new and should have no trouble running the system Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Splash Screen Freeze on Startup.

Going to bump with a related question... Currently my motherboard ahs 2 PSU sockets, a 24 pin and a 4 pin up by the CPU. Without the 4 pin connector in place, it wont run at all. And finding another PSU with a 20+4 pin as well as a 4 pin connector seems painful. Could I just buy one with a 20+4 pin and run the 24 socket with 20, leaving me the +4 section of the connector to go in the socket by the CPU?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/splash-screen-freeze-on-startup.890604/
Relevancy 75.68%

Every time I start up my computer and select Windows 7 in the grub menu, it crashes to a blue screen with error text. The screen looks like this:

I have run Startup Repair many times and every time it doesn't work. I have also tried running System restore when Startup repair fails, but it gets stuck extracting a DLL.

I have Ubuntu Studio on a Live USB, Is there anything I can do to fix it from it?

I also have another computer with a bootable hard drive we could take out and boot into then try restore the backup from there.

Thanks in Advance, -InsertUser

A:Windows blue screens with error text straight after the loading Screen

Welcome to the forum.

Please follow the steps in this tutorial: Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot

Try posting these files from Safe Mode: Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/308055-windows-blue-screens-error-text-straight-after-loading-screen.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hiya,

I keep getting these weird crashes on startup. They appear to be random, I always get past the startup screen with windows (so I can still access Safe Mode etc.), but it will hang (go black) before the blue Vista symbol comes up.

When this has happened, I hold down the power, then spend 15 minutes rebooting into safe mode, running chkdsk on both drives (c and d), finding no errors, reboot and:

Reboot takes 10 straight minutes, but it finally works.

I have Hijack log, System.nfo (important.nfo) and copied the Administrative Errors from the Event viewer. \windows\minidump was empty

This worries me so I try to backup my data daily, but, sometimes forget...what is this?

Thanks!

A:Vista 32 crashing on startup, post Windows screen, Pre Vista

Nada?

Computer HASN'T crashed since this post when I had to do the million restarts, though my cpu hangs all the time, freezing while typing, using itunes or playing games..

Now my dvd player stopped reading DVD's..lol!

Might just need a full restore at this point..arrg!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-32-crashing-on-startup-post-windows-screen-pre-vista-293064.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Sometimes when i boot i get a black screen with blinking cursor in the corner, or it freezes or its just really slow; this fluxuates every other week.

I recently removed a virus but it also occured prior to getting the virus.

Also, i replaced my ram sticks recently and powersupply last chirstmas if thats relavent.

Any ideas are appreciated, thank you.

Intel core 2 duo cpu
E4500 @2.2Ghz
4gb ddr2 ram
Radeon HD 5550, 1 gb ddr
Antec 500 wtt pwsupply
295 Gb HDD

A:Slow startup/ freeze/black screen

Hi Monk77,

Quote:

Also, i replaced my ram sticks recently and powersupply last chirstmas if thats relavent.

Was this just an upgrade that you wanted to do, or were you having these issues before as well?

You should also run a test on your RAM sticks with memtest86+ There are two ways to run the test, either from a CD or USB. You will need to burn the ISO to a CD and then boot to the CD and run at least 7 passes on each stick and in each slot (only the ones that are being used). There is an auto-installer for doing it via USB (again, you will have to change the boot order to boot to the USB if you choose this method)

Both downloads can be found halfway down the page. The reason that you should run it on one stick at a time, is so, if there is a fault with one of the sticks, then it's easy to figure out which one it is.

What programs do you have running at boot? What anti-virus are you running as well.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/slow-startup-freeze-black-screen-573015.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Problem So my dear computer is acting up again And this time it s a hardware problem Whenever I turn it on it would beep indicating that the system has started up correctly would show me the bios start-up window and then out of the blue while checking the CD-ROM for Boot CD this message appears INTEL UNDI PXE- build For Realtek RTL B C Gigabit Ethernet Controller v PXE-E Media test failure check cable PXE-MOF Exiting PXE ROM Randomly I manage to get blue at never startup, ending loading... Freeze of death, screen oh my! past this and attempt to load on the Windows XP Freeze at startup, blue screen of death, never ending loading... oh my! after doing so I get a black screen or running it a few minutes I get a blue screen of death Safe mode doesn t work either since the System Restore is turned off and I Freeze at startup, blue screen of death, never ending loading... oh my! haven t installed anything or modified the OC in any way for a long time Technical parameters of the PC OC Windows XP SP bit Processor Intel Core Duo E GHz MHz MB Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P -ES G P MHz DDR RAM Kingston DDRII GB PC MHz CL x HDD SG ST AS GB SII MB Video Card PoV GeForce GT GB DDR bit HDTV HDMI Power supply Forton ATX- PNR W ATX Is there a way to fix this without going to my vendor for a repair All advice are welcome thanks in advance nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/freeze-at-startup-blue-screen-of-death-never-ending-loading-oh-my.885188/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi All First post here but have visited often over the years to learn about various subjects Lately I've been frequenting the many helpful BSOD pages thanks to the problem that is the subject of this thread I'm hoping you wizards can help me pinpoint the offending driver or hardware before I resort to random uninstalls and eventually a clean Windows reinstall as more extreme procedures I know what follows is a read but it's hopefully well-written so please bear with First the System Specs Specs are in my profile BSOD, Random Minutes After Screen Black Startup Freeze, or Basically this is a heavily upgraded OEM the HP m p HP Pavilion Elite m p Desktop PC Product Specifications HP Pavilion Elite m p Desktop PC HP Support The current configuration ran smoothly for over six months before the problem appeared With the exception of the graphics card more on that below Random BSOD, Freeze, or Black Screen Minutes After Startup the most recent changes were the addition of the two HDDs at the beginning of this year when migrating to SSD Before that the machine was completely problem free going back to its inception in she's an old girl I know The Mystery Currently the system is at a point where it always freezes throws a random BSOD or the screen goes black monitor goes to sleep within minutes after startup It almost always happens within five minutes after the desktop loads but occasionally up to ten minutes This always requires a forced restart with a chance of one of these problems occurring again following reboot for an unpredictable number of times What began as typically a single occurrence has since become on average two crash reboot cycles The record was four Once the system is running for at least five minutes the mystical quot five minute rule quot as I've come to know it it works fine I can leave it idle or punish it with maxed out ultimate settings in Skyrim for hours on end and it won't so much as hiccup But after being shut down or in sleep mode for at least some hours the startup problem always resurfaces in whichever flavors and quantities it decides to take In all it's a tolerable nuisance but one that's surely the manifestation of one or more drivers or hardware gone wild Like the worst computing problems this one arose seemingly out of the ether and has been in a downward spiral since The variety and frequency of crashes seems to have gotten progressively worse over the more than two months since the problem first appeared As far as I can tell it all started with a sudden freeze on July that had me thinking my wireless mouse and keyboard batteries needed replacing Weeks went by with no problems until the black screens started occurring Still these were intermittent and occurred days or weeks apart Before long the first BSODs started appearing These were also intermittent at first As time went on it got to the point at which things are now For basically the entire month of September there have been one or more BSODs almost daily uploaded for your debugging pleasure but in any case always one or more of the three types of crashes freeze BSOD or black screen shortly after startup Today's session went like this Freeze three minutes in forced-reboot BSOD some minutes in forced reboot different BSOD seven minutes in broke the quot five minute rule quot I know forced reboot up and running six hours and counting Each day the experience is different last night was a black screen and BSOD but the one constant is the crash es almost always occur within five occasionally ten minutes post startup Or at least that was the case until yesterday when the system threw a curve ball with a BSOD twenty minutes in I pray this isn't a new symptom So far the two startups since then have remained true to the five five to ten minute rule The Detective Work Needless to say I have tried everything I can think of in this harrowing driver hardware whodunit I started off investigating the basics There were no manual changes to software drivers or ... Read more

A:Random BSOD, Freeze, or Black Screen Minutes After Startup

You have described exactly my problem, dude!
If the crash (not necesarilly the BSOD) came in a middle of skype or VOIP conversation, can you still talk/hear for 30 sec - 1 minute, like me? With black screen on, in stand by. I can.
I hardly wait to find the solution for our problem...

Maybe is usefull to check this post too: BSOD minutes after desktop starts

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/347449-random-bsod-freeze-black-screen-minutes-after-startup.html
Relevancy 72.67%

This is a BSOD or startup. Black Crash, Screen shortly Random after Freeze, strange problem my desktop has had for a fairly long time Usually my computer will work fine start up with no problems for several days Random Crash, Freeze, Black Screen or BSOD shortly after startup. in a row And then for reasons I don't know it sometimes will start crashing Usually the screen goes completely black and the computer completely non-responsive and it must be hard reset to get any response at all out of it A few times I've actually seen a brief BSOD but too brief to actually read it Random Crash, Freeze, Black Screen or BSOD shortly after startup. and see what Random Crash, Freeze, Black Screen or BSOD shortly after startup. is happening Sometimes the screen will just freeze where it is with the last bit of audio that was playing repeating nonstop The strangest thing about these crashes is they only happen a little bit after or during startup if the computer is fine for minutes I know it'll be fine until the next time it's turned off It has on a few occasions come up with a screen telling me that the CMOS is corrupted I've had startup repair run and tried some kind of hard drive diagnostic tool the startup repair couldn't find a problem and the tool said the hard drive was good I've seen it crash this way in the middle of the bios boot during login in safe mode pretty much any time during the first half-hour to hour of the computer being on But never afterward I ran the diagnostic tool the results are attached to this post Any help at all would be appreciated In case it has any effect on anything my computer used to be a Vista and a complimentary upgrade was used to make it windows

A:Random Crash, Freeze, Black Screen or BSOD shortly after startup.

Hello Xindaris.

It appears that you have tow antivirus programs installed? MSE and Avira?
Uninstall Avira. Use Microsoft Security Essentials as your antivirus with windows inbuilt firewall, and free MBAM as the on demand scanner.
Download, install and update those, and then run full system scans with both of them, one by one.

Uninstall MagicISO. It may cause the BSODs as you explained.

ITEMVAUUEName MagicISO SCSI Host ControllerManufacturer MagicISO, Inc.PNP Device ID ROOT\SCSIADAPTER\0000Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\mcdbus.sys (2.7.106.519, 249.56 KB (255,552 bytes), 12/15/2009 5:17 PM)The SCSI adapter installed by MagicISO can cause start time BSODs.

The Display Driver is not Up to date.

Code:
fffff880`04884000 fffff880`0532f000 nvlddmkm T (no symbols)
Loaded symbol image file: nvlddmkm.sys
Image path: nvlddmkm.sys
Image name: nvlddmkm.sys
Timestamp: Fri Mar 15 07:07:00 2013 (51427B3C)
CheckSum: 00A8D47C
ImageSize: 00AAB000
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
Try to install NVIDIA DRIVERS 320.49WHQL

Test your RAM modules for possible errors.
How to Test and Diagnose RAM Issues with Memtest86+
Run memtest for at least 8 passes, preferably overnight.

Stress test the Graphics Card using Furmark.
Video Card - Stress Test with Furmark

Are you overclocking? As you are getting BSODs, you should stop overclocking and run all the hardware components like CPU, GPU and RAM to their default settings. Also set the BIOS to default, too.
How To Clear CMOS (Reset BIOS)

Free up the startup. Windows does not need any other program to auto start with it, but the auto start programs often conflicts and causes various problems including BSODs.
Click on the Start button
Type “msconfig (without quotes), click the resulting link. It will open the System Configuration window.
Select the “Startup” tab.
Deselect all items other than the antivirus.
Apply > OK
Accept then restart.
Let us know the results. And, is it a factory installed windows?

Code:
BugCheck 19, {3, fffffa8005182020, fffffa8005182000, fffffa8005182000}

Probably caused by : Pool_Corruption ( nt!ExDeferredFreePool+a53 )

Followup: Pool_corruption
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BugCheck A, {34e502010080, 2, 1, fffff80004079cc8}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+1849fd )

Followup: MachineOwner
------------------------------------------------------------------------
BugCheck 50, {fffffa7f8009d9d2, 1, fffffa800626b187, 7}
Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Followup: memory_corruption
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
BugCheck 1A, {8886, fffffa8003a29150, fffffa8003a267e0, 500}

Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiUnlinkPageFromLockedList+19c )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/297800-random-crash-freeze-black-screen-bsod-shortly-after-startup.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello,

I have been having this problem since a week or so. Broni has helped me in malware forum to rule out malware as responsible. My machine is clean and I was refered here for further help.

Here is my problem:

At boot-time, I see windows XP load screen with the progress bar, the progress bar advances to the end and then, the screen turns pitch black and all is see is an arrow cursor I can move around. I thought until yesterday that this was a permanent freeze-up, but if I wait, say, 6 minutes, the black screen disappears and windows then starts normally.

Last week, problem was intermittent, it now happens all the time.

Windows boot-up was fine before.

Please help me.

A:Windows load screen at boot, looong black screen, then normal startup

I had this tons of times with my old XP PC. It is normal if you have a lot of files on the HDD and you have little RAM. How much RAM do you have? What is the capacity of the HDD? And do you have the Windows XP disc? Would you be willing to upgrade the RAM and/or the OS if we must resort to that? Or would you rather just buy a new PC?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-load-screen-at-boot-looong-black-screen-then-normal-startup.191868/
Relevancy 72.24%

After the Starting Windows screen a blank black screen with a cursor that I can move pops up that lasts a minute (shouldn't happen with SSD, used to be ~10 second boot). Afterwards the login screen will appear as normal and everything works as normal. This doesn't happen when I boot into safe mode.

I attached a list of start up services, installs, and scheduled tasks, along with my latest boot log.

Any suggestions?

A:Windows 7: Blank screen on boot up, before login screen; slow startup

Hello and welcome, try this to see if you have something that's going you don't know about. Use the free version.

SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/369613-windows-7-blank-screen-boot-up-before-login-screen-slow-startup.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello everybody today my laptop has become blind Let me explain My laptop was purchased in Specs Alienware screen windows logs startup black. stays on screen, but Garbled m Dual nvidia go Dual core gigs of ram gb harddrive So here's what happened today I Garbled startup screen, windows logs on but screen stays black. was watch s movie on netflix when suddenly my screen goes black Though I had crashed but my laptop was still on and the sound was still going restarted and the initial screen was slightly pixellated and garbled Which has now made my Garbled startup screen, windows logs on but screen stays black. laptop permanent garbled and pixely After the windows logo My screen goes black but I am still hear the windows start up sound Garbled startup screen, windows logs on but screen stays black. I found that I am able to click on some music files on my desktop that are able to play so this is a video issue I reboot in safe mode which works this time figure to disable and uninstall the videocard drivers I restart and I'm able to use my pc somewhat normally still garbled Reinstalled the nvidia drivers then halfway through says error install failed or something it happen really fast then crashed tried restarting atleast times in safe mode but it freezes up after it tries to load partition windows system drivers mup sys All of the other options for start up even last settings to work the screen goes black after the windows logo I have tried tinkering with the bios but it doesn't help Its basically being blind using a computer So I'm wondering if there is anyway to possibly blindly open up command prompt and possibly disable or uninstall the drivers from there I'm about sure that the drivers are just corrupt because they were not able to finish and removing them would do the trick I know this is kinda long but I would greatly appreciate any help or input Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/garbled-startup-screen-windows-logs-on-but-screen-stays-black-565214.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I t takes approximately 5 minutes from the time I start my computer to get to the Windows startup screen. Checked for malware and viruses and system appears to be clean. I am using an HP e9270f with 8 Gbs of ram and Windows 7 Home Premium. Can anybody help me with this problem? Get tired staring into space while waiting to start Windows

A:Long delay from opening screen to Windows 7 startup screen

What all is being started at start up?

What AV programs are you running?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/long-delay-from-opening-screen-to-windows-7-startup-screen.946419/
Relevancy 71.38%

So I turned off my computer today with shutdown and install new updates screen an windows startup after screen on Blinking update This was the last thing I could do before my computer now won't start Blinking screen on windows startup screen after an update When I then restarted my computer I got to the screen where you log on to your windows with password There was no box to input my password and then my screen started to blink I restarted and the same thing happened I tried starting my computer in safe mode but the same thing kept happening I tried to startup repair and recovery from a selected date but this did not work startrep exe stopped working and got error messages that it couldnt find files to go back on somthing about it not finding the files on a spesific adress So now i am stuck with an unfixable computer and I really dont want to wipe it either nor do i know much about the recovery disk or how to make one I did some research on the forums but I did not find a solution exept for wipe I hope someone knows somthing more than me and is able to help and fix my problem

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/385485-blinking-screen-windows-startup-screen-after-update.html
Relevancy 70.09%

As soon as I turn on my screen , it goes straight into standby, how can I stop this??

Thanks

A:My screen goes straight into standby!

Do you mean your monitor is going into sleep mode even when your computer is on?

Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the video cable (on both ends if possible)?

While you're down there, let us know if it's plugged into a video card near the bottom of the tower (the plug should be at a horizontal orientation), or if it's plugged into your motherboard near the top (vertical orientation).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-screen-goes-straight-into-standby.469253/
Relevancy 70.09%

I was able to transfer the hard drive to another HP laptop I have and it started fine and installed the drivers for it on startup...

The problem happened yesterday after gaming for a while, restarted the computer and BSOD came up after the black windows starting screen. I could get in with safe mode but only for a few moments before the computer just automatically shut off, like someone just pulled the power to it...

I checked with BlueScreenView on this computer and saw bug check string SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION bug check code 0x0000003b which according to microsoft is "linked to excessive paged pool usage and may occur due to user-mode graphics drivers crossing over and passing bad data to the kernel code."

If someone could look at the files and hopefully some ideas how to fix it, would be great thanks

Relevancy 69.23%

Hello. I am getting a some straight lines near the bottom-left-corner of my laptop PC. They are not visible when I am facing the laptop from straight .example-

But only visible if I face the laptop from an angle. example-

Any kind of help is much appreciated. Thank you.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/73281-straight-lines-laptop-screen.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hello, i am running windows 7 64bit and my screen randomly goes black, but the monitor light never goes off. It just happens randomly, around 3 times a day, never happens in games, just seems to be when i am browsing, watching videos in media player. I have tried another monitor to rule that out, so i know its not that, and my PSU is new, have checked all wires are fully secure, have went through the power options, don't know what else to try.

GPU when idle sits at 37oc, so not a heat issue.

i5-3570K - Gigabyte Z77-D3H - ATI HD 5770
8GB Kingston HyperX - Corsair CX 600w Modular - IIyama 27"

A:Screen goes blank, then comes straight back on

After it goes black what happens next?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/303061-screen-goes-blank-then-comes-straight-back.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I have an Acer switch user to screen Unsleep straight laptop with a fingerprint reader and Windows and don't like the way the Sleep Switch User options work My family and I all use the laptop and usually several of us are logged in at once When one of use wants to use the laptop they fire it up log in surf the net for a bit or whatever then send it to Unsleep straight to switch user screen sleep The next person to use it unsleeps Unsleep straight to switch user screen logs in with their account uses it then sleeps again So now accounts are logged in and available to continue work etc That way any work or websites we had open are available immeadiately from where we left off if we log in later on Yes this does mean that occasionally we lose our work if the laptop has to restart for an update or another user manually reboots but we rarely sleep without saving work and usually it's just websites up so staying logged in is more a convenience thing rather than critical thing so we're willing to live with that Anyway I have a slight annoyance with how this works When we unsleep Windows goes to the log on screen for the last user - quot helpfully quot assuming the last person to sleep the computer is probably the person who is unsleeping it and allowing them to log on quickly This is often not the case for us and in fact since we all usually use the computer each day at some point more often than not it's actually a different person waking it If it's a different person using it this time he she has to click quot Switch User quot button to go back to the main login screen with all the accounts and chose their account to log in An extra click so hardly the end of the world but annoying none the less If you've logged on using your fingerprint instead of the password it's even worse When you unsleep it goes to a single user log in screen for the last user to use it and asks you to swipe your fingerprint to log in again If it's a different user this time then you have to click the quot Other Credentials quot button - which takes you to the normal login screen for that same user ready to type the password in instead of authenticating with your fingerprint Then you have to click quot Switch User quot to get to the main multi-user login screen as above and finally you can log in as above clicks now which again is annoying That seems strange as from the main multi-user login screen you can swipe your finger and Windows automatically recognises which user that is and logs in without you even having to choose the username So you never even have use the password screen to log in so it's all very smooth - but not when unsleeping In fact when using fingerprint to log on the specific user login screens are pretty pointless since you can log in directly and so conveniently from the multiple user screen Is there anway to unsleep straight to the main login screen with multiple users Have searched around both the security settings and the web but can't find a way to do it Note I do NOT want to auto login to my main account as I know how to use this We have multiple accounts with finger prints and passwords and want to keep them I just don't want Windows to assume the same person sleeping will be the same person waking the computer Make sense

A:Unsleep straight to switch user screen

Try the modern Hibernate function which is perfected in Win7 andd may solve the issue for you since it does everything sleep does but writes the desktop to the HD (instead of just RAM) and shuts down the PC. But it starts up twice as fast to the Log-In page.

If fingerprint reader bothers you, turn it off and use strong passwords.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/275451-unsleep-straight-switch-user-screen.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I ran the windows memory diagnostics tool after getting a crash straight to black screen, not even 5% of the way in the computer rebooted and instead of loading the BIOS it just beeped repeatedly. I managed to get it to boot again, I burned memtest to a disk and ran it from the disk, even after 7 passes it showed no errors. Now I am unsure what to do next to identify the problem, I suspect that it's the hard drive at the moment.

A:Computer Crashing straight to black screen

Replace the ram, and try again. If that fails to correct the issue, move on to the HDD.

You can test the HDD from any tool from the manufacturer.
Example site to help with this:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001091.htm

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/328801-computer-crashing-straight-black-screen.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi,
I have Dell Latitude D400 laptop.I Got a problem just a couple of days ago,something happened with its display,There is a straight vertical line on the left side of its screen lid.It just came up after when i cleaned it with simple wet cloth,I think i might have pressed it badly while cleaning it.and now this line is realy killing me,can anybody help me here?will realy appretiate your help.
Thanks

Relevancy 68.37%

Hi,

I've been working on a dell inspiron 1525 today and cant figure what is causing this problem.

The laptop boots, displays the post screen, and then the screen goes black.
You can boot into BIOS,
You can boot into the Boot menu.

You cannot boot into safe mode, the f8 key does nothing,
when using the boot menu, u can't boot into a windows disc to reload the operating system, it just goes black.
I did however manage to boot into a linux cd i have and run a HDD test (what passed) and a memory test (what also passed).

It does exactly the same on an external monitor aswell so I am lost with this one.

Any ideas would be appreciated

A:[SOLVED] Dell Inspiron 1525 - Screen goes black after POST screen?

Which OS is on the computer?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-dell-inspiron-1525-screen-goes-black-after-post-screen-642561.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Very similar to the following problem but i do not have a raid and it seems that this PC has a raid and i don t plus it was never really determined what the actual solution was http forums techguy org windows-nt- -xp -solved-windows-cant-boot-black html The basics XP Professional Boot up screen right before the windows loading screen or direct after the F Menu if you hit quot Start Windows Normally quot it will just lock up no HDD activity blank screen now before Splash Up Screen Safe screen. works. mode Freeze Blank BSOD nothing All safe mods work Blank Screen Freeze Up before Splash screen. Safe mode works. fine Ran chkdsk r in recovery Ran proper fixboot procedure Went into safe mode and checked the event viewer The only concerning message i got was The following boot-start or system-start driver s failed to load AmdK Fips nod drv Formatting really isnt an issue since i can back up anything i need through safe mode However its just the fact that the Windows gremlin has struck me again and i must defeat it once more I highly doubt this is a hardware issue as it is more of a driver software issue Anymore information for me or from me that you need i would be extremely happy Thanks for your time nbsp

A:Blank Screen Freeze Up before Splash screen. Safe mode works.

Before I say the hard drive is dying, you need to try the XP repair as you have done most else you can already:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blank-screen-freeze-up-before-splash-screen-safe-mode-works.634630/
Relevancy 67.94%

Hey guys, my laptop was working fine until a few hours ago, I had about 4 windows open and it crashed, then flashed blue and gave me a long error message... Now every time I try to boot it, even in safe mode, it goes straight to a blue screen and then restarts itself, over and over again. PS It is not my laptop, it is my mum's,her one for work, and if she finds out i have broken It i am dead, please help me as fast as you can =)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-boots-straight-into-blue-screen-of-death.871239/
Relevancy 67.94%

So I set it to list the most used 1st that got rid of most of the junk like the shopping stuff and other garbage.

Is there a way to skip the 'front page' where it shows the weather and that junk so that the immediate page is the programs I want to browse.

Its only one click difference but it all adds up over time! :)

A:[SOLVED] How can I make the 8 start screen go straight to programs?

You will need to be running Windows 8.1 and then:

How to boot directly to the desktop in Windows 8.1 | How To - CNET

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/solved-how-can-i-make-the-8-start-screen-go-straight-to-programs-788610.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Ok so I've been working on this guys computer for days now all day I have read many forums and followed many different things but to no avail The computer came to me going slow internet explorer would crash so often it would redo windows updates on shutdown to straight repair goes Windows startup everytime Windows goes straight to startup repair so those were not taking and it would go to start up repair when turned Windows goes straight to startup repair on from shut down but not from a restart The guy asked me to restore for him So Windows goes straight to startup repair I used the factory image restore That did not fix the problem I read some forums and decided to run tdsskiller It found some malware and removed it After that windows will not even start It goes straight to startup repair and then says no solutions were found In which that keeps me from getting to the desktop I have tried to restore to earlier time but didn't work I tried boot repair from command and didn't work I tried a repair disk that I found online and made onto a disk but that didn't work I am out of ideas and running dry on information on the web Any help would be greatly appreciated Also the guy can't find the recovery disk that came with the computer which makes my job lovely It is a Dell Studio running windows home premium x

A:Windows goes straight to startup repair

Does your friend have a legit W7 key on a sticker on his machine so you can at least try a clean install?

You could try:
Run a system file check to verify and repair your system files.
To do this type cmd in search, then right click to run as administrator, then
SFC /SCANNOW

Read here for more information SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

In SafeMode if needed: Safe Mode - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/180235-windows-goes-straight-startup-repair.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi fellas I have a Dell Dimension which stopped working three years ago It was running Windows XP with SP or - I can t remember for sure It has GB RAM and a MB ATI Radeon graphics card Whenever I boot up it goes straight to a black screen with a flashing cursor on the top left There is no Dell splash screen and no option to access the BIOS by tapping F This Dell has four indicator lights on the back to let a user know No Flashing Screen, Cursor, POST Black Screen if there is a problem The first three Black Screen, Flashing Cursor, No POST Screen lights are green and the fourth one in orange I looked this up on the manual and it says refer to technical support So far I have tried the following Removed optical drives to see if the machine would boot up without them - it didn t I am not confident enough to start taking parts off the motherboard just yet Booted up without any additional peripherals attached including mouse and keyboard Tried booting up from an old Windows XP install disc - that had no effect either So I am pretty much stumped as to what to do with this machine Doing a Google search others with the same problem have been unable to fix it I just want to know if it is worth the time to revive this machine or to let go Any help would be appreciated Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

I have a Win XP Home edition that fails to boot the POST screen loads then a choice of operating system configurations see later and selecting one of them the last on the list returns can t find hal dll The other two options one of which I have set up in the course of trying to sort this out both end up with a blank screen Safe mode hangs up in the middle of screen boot, screen POST to after blank Failure the driver list The problem started after a power cut I have fairly exhaustively investigated and tried to fix this as follows - Seagate Gb disk in four partitions C D E F Using a partition tool confirms that the active and primary partition is C The files on all the partitions are all visible using file explorers on bootable recovery CDs ERD Commander and HIRENS I have been able to back up the important data The operating system files are on C partition only Run Failure to boot, blank screen after POST screen disc diagnostic passed no errors Run Memtest - passed Failure to boot, blank screen after POST screen Run chkdsk f fixed a couple of errors Via recovery Failure to boot, blank screen after POST screen console on original disk Run fixmbr reboot not fixed Run fixboot reboot not fixed Run bootcfg rebuild fixboot Reboot not fixed this is the most recent listed configuration Tried repair install from recovery console Copied files etc then automatically tried to reboot but stalled at same place I have also tried the disk in another PC and get the same result I have disconnected clean and reconnected all relevant internal wiring The BIOS is set to boot first from CD then HDD and detect HDD is set to AUTO I have run out of ideas Can anyone help I would be grateful for any ideas

A:Failure to boot, blank screen after POST screen

I would clone the drive, then do a clean install.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/552541/failure-to-boot-blank-screen-after-post-screen/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi everyone,

I've had voltage issues causing my computer to freeze or reboot during games and dvds. Fixed that and the computer was fine after memtest showing no problems. That was late Dec.

A few days ago, the computer would go to a blue screen saying it's dumping physical memory and then automatically reboots. Thinking my harddisk might be collapsing on me (I have a seagate barracuda 7200.11 500Gb HD with the SD15 firmware, the infamous crash friendly HD), I flash the HD with the SD1A firmware from seagate, then it was fine. 2days later, Catalyst started to cause problems by not responding, so I formated the drive and reinstalled vista ultimate, along with Catalyst, drivers from Mobo manufacturer ASUS, plus a couple of other softwares. That was yesterday, and now I'm getting the same blue screen back, or the computer just freezes.

Does anybody know what's wrong. It's happened a few times so I'm a bit worried.

A:screen freeze or blue screen needing reboot

What is the blue screen code.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/207832-screen-freeze-blue-screen-needing-reboot.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I changed explorer.dll in Windows 7. Then explorer wouldn't start when I tried to do so from task manager. So I tried to reboot. After also being unable to make headway in safe mode (using msconfig), as that also requires explorer, I launched startup repair using my windows 7 CD. Then after it said that it would reboot and fix any additional problems, it has kept rebooting and failing. I can't get to safe mode using f8 either, it just comes up with boot options 'Boot from CD' and 'Boot from HDD'.
Any help will be appreciated. If I can get out of startup repair, that would be tremendous. At least then I can activate word from task manager and save my coursework!
I'm going to try using Ubuntu's explorer to change the files back. I'll post back any progress! I'll be checking this wall at least 5 times a day until a solution is found.

Godspeed you wonderful people!

A:Windows will not start, goes straight to startup repair

Hello Chrissyboy101. Welcome to the Forum.

Did you try selecting "System Restore" from the options when you boot from the DVD?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/179113-windows-will-not-start-goes-straight-startup-repair.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello!

I am running Windows XP which is fully up to date with the latest Service Packs, etc. on an AMD Athlon 64 3500 CPU with 2GB of RAM.

There are 3 User Accounts setup & when any one of them is selected from the Log In Screen, the computer "freezes". However, I have found a work-around by pressing Control + Alt + Delete which "unfreezes" the computer & allows access by whichever User. It is just a matter then to hit the Esc Key to remove the Windows Task Manager Window & all is well again.

This happens every time from the Log In Screen & although it doesn't appear to cause any problems, it is a curious situation. Any help to resolve this would be appreciated.

Best wishes to you all.

Tim.

A:Windows Log In Screen Freeze

Ok, disable the welcome screen. You dont really need it, its just a fancy bit anyway..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-log-in-screen-freeze.475237/
Relevancy 66.65%

IBM Thinkpad R is old but was working fine Now when I turn it on it loads windows and gets stuck on the windows welcome screen where I normally would press ctrl alt del and then enter my password same problem in safe mode The ctrl alt del key does nothing the mouse just sits there about in the middle of the screen Days prior to this windows problem this machine had multiple malware problems including Open Cloud DSS c Apgjk exe Data restore and would not be surprised if my daughters machine had others Following instructions for removal from the internet I must have obviously removed something important from windows that after welcome screen XP Windows freeze is causing the computer to hang at sign in At this point do you have any ideas of what I might try to regain use of windows Or alternately how do I back up the data on the hard drive as maybe Windows XP freeze after welcome screen it is time to get a new system anyway This laptop runs XP pro Thanks for any ideas you may offer Your website has been very helpful in the past should ve gone to it first with the malware

A:Windows XP freeze after welcome screen

If you have the Windows XP operating system disk you can boot to the disk and from recovery console do a check disk.
Or upon booting from your Windows operating disk choose to repair your install.

for recovery console select the first repair option. once you have come to the recovery console type chkdsk /r

for repair of operating system continue past the first repair option and choose the second repair option to do a repair install which will not delete your data.

if that doesn't work then you will ethier have to back up that data or wait until you get your new computer and transfer your data from your old hard drive to new computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/423347/windows-xp-freeze-after-welcome-screen/
Relevancy 66.65%

I presently have a Core2 Duo on an ASUS P5P43 TDPro with a HIS 5770 vid card, 4 sticks of Mushkin 2GB DDR-3 and all the other usual devices on the board. I run 2 SATA 3GB/s hard drives in RAID 0 along with a spare drive on the IDE channel that holds XP as an alternate boot.

The system runs flawlessly under Win 7 - 64 Ultimate. When I install my Core2 Quad processor, it freezes on the first Windows screen on boot (the one that has the throbbing window). I've already returned the C2Q to Intel and I think they claim it's OK and sent the same one back. Anybody else have the same issues with the Core2 Quad in a similar configuration?

A:Windows 7 64 freeze on first screen

Quote: Originally Posted by lynxpilot

I presently have a Core2 Duo on an ASUS P5P43 TDPro with a HIS 5770 vid card, 4 sticks of Mushkin 2GB DDR-3 and all the other usual devices on the board. I run 2 SATA 3GB/s hard drives in RAID 0 along with a spare drive on the IDE channel that holds XP as an alternate boot.

The system runs flawlessly under Win 7 - 64 Ultimate. When I install my Core2 Quad processor, it freezes on the first Windows screen on boot (the one that has the throbbing window). I've already returned the C2Q to Intel and I think they claim it's OK and sent the same one back. Anybody else have the same issues with the Core2 Quad in a similar configuration?

Hi and welcome
You installed win 7 with core 2, switched cpu, with a raid? you need to install different Mobo drivers, etc. I am unsure as to what exactly you did explain

thanks

Ken J+

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/51155-windows-7-64-freeze-first-screen.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Well my friend has a laptop and she randomly started having problems with it one day I took a look at it and this is what happens i press power it boots up to when it finishes loading windows and then starts some system recovery thing and just goes to the blue screen o o i tried to boot it up in safe mode didn t work does the same thing i tried to boot it from all the different options there were debugging safe mode with network etc etc and still it goes goes straight of Blue Inspiron Screen Dell Death to boot Laptop on to blue screen she doesn t mind reformatting but really needs her files on the HDD im pretty sure its some random virus thing but how do u remove it w o being able to boot Dell Inspiron Laptop goes straight to Blue Screen of Death on boot into ur actual account O O specs abt laptop Windows Vista OS Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X GB configured with a single RPM SATA hard drive APPRECIATE THE HELP nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-laptop-goes-straight-to-blue-screen-of-death-on-boot.791997/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello Community I extra made a account in this forum because the people on the forum I usually use couldn't help me Recently Startup Some When Don't Programs Start Straight Up Starts Windows I freshly bought Windows Ultimate and it works very well But one week later I decided to install all important windows updates and now I have the following problem Normally when I start my PC Steam Skype Fraps Dropbox HWInfo CoreTemp and some other programs start straight up and I can use them instantly However since I made the ca windows updates only some of them start straight up and some need more minutes to start which is really annoying Programs which don't start straight up Steam CoreTemp and Norton This three are the most annoying ones because I wanna use them mostly right after a boot Also when I try to start right after the boot Firefox Some Startup Programs Don't Start Straight Up When Windows Starts it also only starts after this minutes together with the other programs they all start then together in the same second This wasn't a issue before the windows updates But strangely chrome works but I noticed some other programs also don't start straight up if I start them manually in this minutes but some do Stuff I tried to solve this problem yet Deleting all windows updates Repair Install of Windows Reinstalling the programs which don't start straight up Solving all registry faults with CCleaner Nothing worked yet Maybe some of you know what the problem could be My system is normally super fast and I hate it always to wait for everything Greetings Deidaraa

A:Some Startup Programs Don't Start Straight Up When Windows Starts

I think you just have too many startup programs - and some are big fellows. I would put the ones I do not immediately need in delayed startup and see whether that helps the ones I want asap.

You would also get much better results if you put the system and those programs on a SSD.

And don't uninstall the updates. There are many security updates that are far more important than a 2 minute delay.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/321205-some-startup-programs-dont-start-straight-up-when-windows-starts.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Just purchased new refurb PC's for my wife and Black Screen Restart Post on Screen BEFORE I It's all I Black Screen BEFORE Post Screen on Restart could find with Windows still available They are both HP Pavilion p - w bit Desktops running Win Home Premium SP During Windows setup of PC it asked for a restart When the PC powered back up it had a black screen from the start before the Post screen I power cycled it several times with no luck Even switched monitors and video cables The next morning it started normally with perfect video I assumed the Refurb PC had a problem and set it aside for return Been setting up PC for a few days now with lots of restarts All was well until I did a restart just now There was the identical problem Power cycled the unit twice and still had the black screen Then I unplugged the PC and pressed the power button to discharge the capacitors fans ran for a few seconds When I returned power and started the PC again it functioned normally I've done quick restarts since to try and replicate the problem but it only happened that once I love these PC's and I love Win so I hate to give them up But I don't want the video freezing up on me every time I do a restart I assume now that PC is not necessarily defective Since this is occurring before the post screen I wasn't sure if it could be windows related Has anyone run across this If so and suggested solution Thanks very much sorry for the long post

A:Black Screen BEFORE Post Screen on Restart

That does sound quite strange that they both do it
The answer to your question is no, windows has nothing to do with post, power on self test as the name suggests is controlled by the bios and is the motherboard checking hardware etc when the post is complete the bios will start the boot sequence as set in the bios ie 1st boot device then 2nd device then 3rd if necessary until an OS or bootable device is found, I can think of no reason for a machine to not post other than the wrong display output being selected if the machine has more than one ie on board gfx and gfx card installed or multiple display ports present or finally an overheated gfx card that has shut itself of until cooled but having said that if it works it works so I would see how it goes

You can check bios settings for gfx outputs and I would monitor temps as well don't really know what else to suggest

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/270309-black-screen-before-post-screen-restart.html
Relevancy 66.22%

help  i get to screen saying tab for post screen or delete for setup but thats it
key board wire and USB types don't work? I think it might be my BIOS?
I'm Running a ABIT FATAL1TY AN8SLI  motherboard with AMD64X2 Athlon processor  and 3gigs RAM?

A:gets to screen saying tab for post screen or delete for setup?

I would go into the BIOS/setup...and see if all installed and/or connected devices are properly reflected.  I would also check that the time/date are correct....and that the boot options are properly reflected.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532967/gets-to-screen-saying-tab-for-post-screen-or-delete-for-setup/
Relevancy 66.22%

Very strange problem happened after I reinstalled Windows 7.

My computer boots and runs fine, no issues. Whenever I turn it on from cold or restart, the screen is off up until Windows starts loading.

If I keep pressing DEL during boot, the BIOS comes up on the screen. Exit the BIOS and same, nothing on the screen until windows is loading.

I have one PCI-E graphics card going to one monitor, and I tried changing in the BIOS PEG and PCI for the graphics card but with no luck.

Any idea what is causing this?

A:Cannot see POST, screen is off until Windows is Loading

Do I understand this right - you are not getting a BIOS splash screen. And when you press DEL, do you get the BIOS setup or the splash screen.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/216394-cannot-see-post-screen-off-until-windows-loading.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I just reinstalled Window XP a couple of days ago. After it starts to boot up the display goes black right after windows splash screen and it freezes indefinitely.
Does anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this?

A:Freeze after Windows Splash Screen

Does it work in safe mode?

It may be a driver conflict from when you were installing the appropriate drivers.
Kevin

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/freeze-after-windows-splash-screen.983599/
Relevancy 65.79%

if you have a problem of FSX screen freezing and game still running cause you can hear sound etc...

Underclock your unit

I lowered my shader to 761 from 1120

works perfectluy for hours on end now

http://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/68034-fsx-windows-10-screen-freeze-under-steam.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I am having a problem where the Windows 8 Metro screen freezes and the tiles do not update or can not activate them with the mouse. Using the shift key and restart I am able to set the computer to safe mode which will then boot and get to the Metro screen. I then go and uninstall the latest program or app that was installed and it will work fine after rebooting in normal mode. The it will happen again a day or so later. This is getting fustrating.

Any ideas?

Steve

A:Windows 8 Metro Screen Freeze

Have you recently updated any drivers, especially video drivers? Does this happen right away or after the PC has warmed up? When I've seen things "lock uo" like this, it's usually overheating components or a driver issue.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/17162-windows-8-metro-screen-freeze.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Last night i was watching a film at my laptop and suddenly it frozen and i restarted my computer. now it freeze before i see login screen all time and restart itself.startup repair didnt helped...so am i need install windows again or there is a solution? (sorry for my english)

A:Windows 7 freeze before i see login screen

try to boot in safe mode then shut down normally and see if it happens again

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/290199/windows-7-freeze-before-i-see-login-screen/
Relevancy 65.79%

Sweet merciful 7 Enterprise Freeze Screen Welcome Windows Odin make it stop Many months ago I installed a copy of Windows Enterprise x and was trouble free for a short while The Problem Seemingly at random from a cold boot Windows 7 Enterprise Welcome Screen Freeze the system will freeze while entering my password at the Windows welcome screen A press of the reset Windows 7 Enterprise Welcome Screen Freeze button returns to a normal bios post followed by the boot screen offering the option to boot into various modes include normal startup Often only one reset is required Other instances require two or three resets I ve attempted a number of fixes I ve removed AVG anti-virus to no affect With AVG installed I ve tried all combinations of startup items being turned on and off I ve dabbled with the notion that somehow keyboard mouse input during the windows splash startup screens may affect it to no avail I ve updated drivers and yes reinstalled Windows enterprise but the problems persists I ve also ran both CHDSK and quot scf scannow quot without any reported errors I m not sure if malware would be involved but my level of desperation and exacerbation is at frightening levels Last Windows 7 Enterprise Welcome Screen Freeze I m sure the log files will reveal all my misdoings in attempting to undo this plus any online malfeasance All admonishment welcome Please pretty please I just want to know what is wrong with this box DDS Ver - - - NTFS x Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by Gary at on - - Microsoft Windows Enterprise GMT - SP Windows Defender Disabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF Running Processes C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system nvvsvc exe C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system ngvpnmgr exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation Display NvXDSync exe C Windows system nvvsvc exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Windows System svchost exe -k HPZ C Windows System svchost exe -k HPZ C Windows system PnkBstrA exe C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation D Vision nvSCPAPISvr exe C Windows system svchost exe -k imgsvc D Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDWinSec exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows system taskhost exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServicePeerNet C Windows Explorer exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows system taskhost exe C Windows system DllHost exe C Windows system DllHost exe C Windows system conhost exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe Pseudo HJT Report BHO CA F - F E- B -A E- E E C C - No File BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - f - d - - d f - d spybot - search amp destroy SDHelper dll BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - c - d -b f - bbc d a e - d micros office GROOVEEX DLL BHO Office Document Cache Handler b f a - e - -ba - b e ff - d micros office URLREDIR DLL BHO Foxit Toolbar d c f- a- -a ad- d - c program files ask com GenericAskToolbar dll BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper dbc -a - b-bc - c c c a - c program files java jre bin jp ssv dll TB Foxit Toolbar d c f- a- -a ad- d - c program files ask com GenericAskToolbar dll d d - bd - -a -cfc a mPolicies-system ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin x mPolicies-system ConsentPromptBehaviorUser x mPolicies-system EnableUIADesktopToggle x IE E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - d micros office EXCEL EXE IE Se amp nd to OneNote - d micros office ONBttnIE dll IE A- - f c- - EE C C - E -E D - - C-F F E C - d microsoft office office ONBttnIE dll IE FE F- FC - A - -EDE DB C CA... Read more

A:Windows 7 Enterprise Welcome Screen Freeze

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.Please take note:If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If you are unable to create a log because your computer cannot start up successfully please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.If you are unable to perform the steps we have recommended please try one more time and if unsuccessful alert us of such and we will design an alternate means of obtaining the necessary information.If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review your topic an do their best to resolve your issues.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREWe also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner. Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows you will not be able to run GMER and you may skip this step.Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal AdviceThen create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:How to create a GMER logThanks and again sorry for the delay.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/399850/windows-7-enterprise-welcome-screen-freeze/
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi all run of are work computer when you turn it on it will not load into Windows or safe mode and freeze at the Windows splash screen..

What can cause this to happen ??

Relevancy 65.79%

Hi I'm new to the forums and I'm hoping to get some help regarding two specific issues I've been experiencing lately with Windows As I'm on a laptop my power settings are set after screen shutoff freeze Windows to balanced The system turns off the screen after minutes of inactivity the default setting When I touch the pad to turn the screen back on Windows freezes I'll Windows freeze after screen shutoff have to do ALT CTRL Delete Windows freeze after screen shutoff to bring up the log-out menu and sign back in again After I sign back in Windows work normally Windows freeze after screen shutoff The only way around this I found is to manually change the power settings to prevent the screen from turning off altogether Is this a known issue When I put my system to sleep I find that it will turn on by itself and then shut itself off again I think this may be related to automatic update at a given time It happens at night The system would just turn on and after seconds or so shut itself down

A:Windows freeze after screen shutoff

Most likely this is a driver problem. Dell support may have some drivers that work better for you.
Drivers & Downloads=

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/47751-windows-freeze-after-screen-shutoff.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello I have a Dell Dimension I got a new gb hard drive and wanted to clone it with the current gb drive I took both drives and connected them to a different pc that had norton ghost on it After cloning which went fine I placed them back into the Dell with the gig set as master and the gb set as slave The computer would post normally and boot to a black screen with a blinking cursor this happned right after verifying dmi data pool It would hang at this screen never getting to the windows loading screen I returned the gb to the master drive and set the gb as the slave It booted fine After getting into windows I saw it was reporting the gb as C and the gb as D I changed the drive letter of the gb in safe mode to G After changing it the computer would freeze at the XP splash screen however I still screen xp windows freeze splash at had control of the mouse I believe this was caused from windows search for the page file on C which no longer existed I did a repair install on the gb It set the drive as G It booted fine and now my programs do not work I used regedit to manually change the drive letter of the boot device and it is now freezing during the XP splash screen against still having control of the mouse How can I change freeze at windows xp splash screen the boot drive letter without booting into windows on that drive How can I change the location windows looks for the page file I made an image of the drive before atempting the repair install I reimaged the gb drive but it still freezing at the XP splash screen I cannot use a repair install or do a fresh install The drive contains a very expensive database program that cannot be reinstalled I have tried FIXMBR FIXBOOT BOOTCFG FDISK MBR CHKDSK F R and I have tried putting the drive into other machines Any suggestions and help would be very much appreciated nbsp

A:freeze at windows xp splash screen

I made the same mistake yesterday.
Having used Ghost to clone a version of Windows, you MUST NOT put the old drive back into the machine until you have started from the new drive on its own at least once.

Fortunately for me, I realized what I had done before I started to change things and could redo the Ghost.
I have a feeling you are going to have to do a repair install.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/freeze-at-windows-xp-splash-screen.865729/
Relevancy 65.79%

I will just be generally using my laptop browsing the internet or using programs such as photoshop and my system will freeze up for about 10 seconds and then will turn to a black screen forcing me to shut the system down via the power button. This happens at least once a day and most commonly occurs when opening photoshop. My laptop is a Packard bell EasyNote TE69KB, ive been looking for solutions for days but nothing seemed to help.
Please help me if you can, thanks

A:Windows 8.1 freeze then black screen please help

Your computer might not be able to handle PhotoShop.

System requirements | Photoshop

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/39550-windows-8-1-freeze-then-black-screen-please-help.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello everyone.

My Windows 8.1 64 bit has been freezing up the login screen. Right when it signs me up to my live account instead of having the icon spin it stops and nothing but restarting does anything. I have not ran through the automatic repair options, just never seemed to help in the past. I also found this online:

Windows 8.1 Stuck on login screen [Solved] - Login - Windows 8

Never had this option: Intel xHCI mode: Disabled so couldn't follow the instructions perfectly.

Seems to be usb related. All my devices are updated and the computer has booted right up with all removed. Otherwise sometimes it boots right in, usually 2-3 restarts and I'm on. Once on everything is perfect!

Helpful Info:

Windows 8.1 Pro
Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990 FX R2.0
CPU: AMD 1090t black edition
Boots to Samsun SSD

A:Windows 8.1 Freeze at Login Screen

Hi yooper, Welcome to Eight forums.

When you get to the sign in window press and hold the shift key then click power button and select restart. You should now see the Advanced Start-up Options menu screen. From the troubleshoot tile try advanced options then system restore. If you get back to normal then the first thing to do is create a restore to factory medium. Used to be a set of DVDs but now also allows a backup to a flash drive. I would do both if allowed.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/36518-windows-8-1-freeze-login-screen.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello!

I've built a new desktop recently and have been experiencing random freezes from time to time where my entire screen just freezes and the only remedy is to force restart my computer by holding down the power button.

The only thing I have noticed is whenever this happens, two of the same error/warning seem to pop up into my event log:

Event #1: Error
"Audit events have been dropped by the transport.  0"

Error #2: Warning
"Intel® Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
 Network link is disconnected."

I have no idea if these have any relevance to the freezing, but I hope I will be able to find some help here as it seems to be very persistent
In fact, my computer froze while I was typing the last sentence...

Thanks in advance!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/627379/windows-10-random-screen-freeze/
Relevancy 65.79%

The computer had a corrupted pci.sys file error. I tried to copy the file from a xp sp1 cd, and it wouldnt let me from the repair console. I did a repair and got an error message saying pci.sys was corrupted or something along those lines.

I decided to try the repair console with a windows xp home sp2 cd and it let me copy the pci.sys file to c:\windows\system32\ so now I think I have fixed the file.

When i go to load the computer xp automatically jumps to the installation screen because of the failed repair.

How can i get that to go away and have the computer boot to the hard drive?

do i need to edit the mbr or something?

thanks guys

A:XP Repair failed, no boot from hard drive now, jumps straight to install xp screen

could i boot into safe mode and edit the boot.ini file so it won't load that partial repair on boot up?

-update ... i tried to boot into safe mode and the comp throws an error that says windows can not boot into safe mode computer will be restarted.

Can I edit the boot.ini through repair console?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-repair-failed-no-boot-from-hard-drive-now-jumps-straight-to-install-xp-screen.808831/
Relevancy 65.36%

hi guys, i recently run into a problem of windows 8 on my laptop its the latest stable release ... the on sold with your laptops

when i start up the system... nothing happens ... its just blank screen no words like...pres F2 for bios options etc
just blank idk what happened it just happen like that after i resumed the system from hibernate O_O
i tried removing battery and re starting still like that
the light indicators lights up in processing ... power leds both have lights
could it be my monitor? my hard drive ? or bios?

A:WIndows 8 Start up blank screen (no post)

The BIOS screen doesn't appear at all, hah? New laptop with 8 preinstalled?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/15210-windows-8-start-up-blank-screen-no-post.html
Relevancy 65.36%

when i boot up my acer laptop the screen is fine, after windows login page appears i start having screen problems, there are lines everywhere and the screen then splits up and basically becomes unreadable, when i hit the laptop it makes it a bit better which is strange as that would indicate a harware problem surely? now when i load up in safe mode, everything is perfect and no issues at all,which would suggest software? i am baffled, i have done a repair with xp disk but now my genuine product key is wrong as i didnt use the correct disk so if anyone can tell me how to change it back to the code that is printed on the underside of my laptop i would be grateful also.
Thank you in advance

A:Post windows loadup screen issues

Hello firemansam1820

There are different ways to change the product key. Try this program first as it does not involve editing the registry. There is an option to enter your own legal product key.

Screen problem
Try reinstalling the video drivers or look for updated ones.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/post-windows-loadup-screen-issues-366379.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi there.
So, my computer was working fine 15 hours ago, playing games and loading webpages and all that. I turned it off for the night and when I turned it back on this morning it booted properly, as per usual. So then I logged in, the screen turned black, my cursor appeared and nothing else happened.
I've been trying to fix this problem all day and if I leave it for long enough it does log in properly, but I was wondering if maybe one of the start-up systems isn't working right or whether I just need to do a disc cleanup.

Running Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit, and the average wait time for it to load (when it does load, which is occasional) is about half an hour.
Also running Windows 7 on a Mac, because my school gave it to me for phr33 at the end of their Mac phase.

A:Windows 7 crashing post-login screen

Go through the steps for Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7

Warning
Some of the steps require that you open up your system, so before doing any of the re-seating and connection checking steps, answer these two questions: Are you still under warranty? Does your warranty allow you to open up the machine to check hardware? If you are unsure of the answers to these questions, contact your system manufacturer. WARNING: Some steps in that tutorial involve removing the system case or system panels and can void your warranty!!!
The steps specifically related to the warning are steps 8, 10, and 11.
Let us know if you need help with any of those steps as you proceed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/237774-windows-7-crashing-post-login-screen.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello Freezes Welcome Windows 7 screen post-updates at So I had a working laptop see below for details and decided to finally install a bunch of Windows Updates a couple of days ago Since then I have not been able to log into Windows successfully normally - it keeps freezing at the Welcome screen I can Windows 7 Freezes at Welcome screen post-updates successfully log into safe mode with networking which is how I m posting right now I tried doing a system restore a couple of times from Windows 7 Freezes at Welcome screen post-updates safe mode but it could only go as far back as the SP from which I believe was one of the updates and also that froze at the Welcome screen too both times I wanted to reinstall the Updates from safe mode but unfortunately can t I did an anti-virus scan in safe mode using MalWare Bytes which got rid of some malware but still didn t allow my computer to start up properly I then got a ordinal error The ordinal could not be located in the dynamic link library iertutil dll Doing a quick search I found that maybe my Internet Explorer didn t install properly - I reinstalled IE in safe mode and don t have that error anymore in safe mode but still it hangs on the Welcome screen In pressing F to try to get to quot Last known good configuration quot which I haven t been able to get to I got to an automatic repair which it did fix some files but still I have the issue with it freezing at the welcome screen and can t get into my laptop I am hoping to not reinstall Windows if possible Any thoughts Help please Thanks in advance Reema Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium bit Processor Intel R Core TM Duo CPU T GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce M GT Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Quanta B C CNF V Antivirus Norton Premier Edition Disabled nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-freezes-at-welcome-screen-post-updates.1004754/
Relevancy 65.36%

Nokia interviews people on their Windows Phone start-screens and why they use the Applications
they see first (My Windows Phone 8 Start screen: Rv Cuarto – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog)
I though of building a thread on this web-site heavily inspired by

Post your Start Screen!

(For Windows 8 Computers)

but for those who do not just love Windows 8, but also Windows Phone 8 (and Windows Phone 7.8
and Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango)) and wish to share their cell.-phone's start-screens.

Here's mine

Huawei Ascend W1 (Traditional-Chinese: 華為 - 登).

and my old Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango) H.T.C. Radar (Traditional-Chinese: 宏達國際電子股份有限公司 - 雷達)

and later as a Windows Phone 7.8 device (I had to hack Zune into updating it)

?how does your Windows Phone look like? ?what model is it? ?and why do you love your cell.-phone?

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/24906-post-your-windows-phone-start-screen.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Good afternoon!

I'm in a strange problem.
My netbook's screen shows black during POST (Bios), and sometimes shows some white lines, like interferences.

If I start Windows 8.1 OS the problem persists.
If I run Ubuntu, I can see everything normally.

I looked over screen connection and touched it in order to check the wire is ok, but is the same.
If I connect an external VGA screen I can see everything right.

Years ago, I changed the screen because It brokes.
During last months, I could see lines in screen mostly during POST.

It could be a problem from screen, wires...?
The screen doesn't support some frecuences now?

Thanks and sorry for my english.

My netbook is a *NB520*.

A:NB520 - Black screen during POST and in Windows 8.1

I read the other post which you have created some time ago about the CPU upgrade.
Did you upgrade the CPU and if yes did this display issue appear before the CPU replacement?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?79783-NB520-Black-screen-during-POST-and-in-Windows-8-1
Relevancy 65.36%

I just built my computer today, everything is working fine and all drivers are installed from official websites etc. When I start my computer from complete off (cold startup) the BIOS splash screen lasts for 1 second before Windows 7 starts booting, and the computer startup speeds are fine. However, when I'm in Windows 7 and a click to restart computer, it shuts down perfectly fine, but when It gets to the BIOS splash screen it literally sits there for 30 seconds before Windows 7 starts to boot, and this makes the startup time slower, and is very frustrating. I've seen other people mention the same problem I'm getting on other forum websites, but no one seems to know a solution.

For curiosity here's my PC specifications:-
Asus P8Z77-V LX
8GB Crucial RAM
1TB Samsung HDD
Intel i3 3220 3.3GHz

A:PC hangs on post screen after doing Windows 7 restart

I would try these steps from Microsoft HangsWIndows 7 hangs up at the Welcome screen - Microsoft Community

Also please fill in your specs using the Update your specs below my sig

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/285859-pc-hangs-post-screen-after-doing-windows-7-restart.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Please help?!?

Had a couple of laptop crashes and re-booted too quickly to log errors. Happened again today and since have been unable to get past entering my password in start-up. Enter my password and the screen freezes. Able to access my desk top via safe mode and the net via with networking where have added RegCure, but still the problems re-occurs. Also tried running virus scan in safe mode, again showing now threats, tried logging on as another user account with and without passwords and system restores to previous dates, all failing. Have checked the net for other possible solutions, but getting no where. Have no WP XP cd, so unable to perform recovery restore.

It's obviously something to do with the drivers or recently installed hardware, which I don't recall adding recently. These issues have occured whilst online and have the new NAV version.

Any ideas please?

Toshiba Satellite Pro user

Steve

A:Screen freeze following password in Windows XP SP2 start-up

when you say screen freezes it totally freezes or the mouse still moves but no icons come up and you cant access task manager?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/screen-freeze-following-password-in-windows-xp-sp2-start-up.105763/
Relevancy 65.36%

I read the introductory Windows and screen at performance welcome slow XP freeze thread and Windows XP freeze at welcome screen and slow performance followed those instructions My RAM and hard drive are good I am convinced this is not a virus malware issue because it s a fresh install on a fully erased zero written hard drive It has not been exposed to any internet to be able to Windows XP freeze at welcome screen and slow performance contract a virus and the XP install disc is trusted Here s the issue I can t get XP to load fully unless I boot in safe mode or with nearly all the services disabled However even when I get booted in this manner it still runs very sluggishly with quot process explorer quot indicating that explorer exe and a couple of svchost exe services are hogging cpu resources I have done my best to update all of the drivers and can find no apparent conflicts I ve toyed with all of the services and been unable to identify the issue I ve searched google for hours but always find people with similar issues indicating it s a virus malware issue Again I m convinced this is NOT a virus malware thing So where do I start Will the quot minidump quot I read about help with this issue nbsp

A:Windows XP freeze at welcome screen and slow performance

Installing the essential SP3 upgrade to XP and then the subsequent security updates takes forever. If all that's done, and it really needs doing, I'd look at your security software. I've had one or two programs that have slowed my computer to a crawl. See if running without any AV software speeds things up - obviously don't connect to the internet while checking this out. Microsoft Security Essentials and Avira are good freeware programs and don't appear to slow things down. At least that's somewhere to start. Best of luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-freeze-at-welcome-screen-and-slow-performance.184955/
Relevancy 65.36%

Was in the middle of writing an email when my screen froze for a minute or so, then computer shut down. When restarting I get option to repair or start windows normally. If I start normally I just get black screen for a while then computer shuts down again.
Tried the repair option several times but still the same outcome.
I am able to boot into safe mode. I have run chkdsk /r and if found no problems. I have tried setting back to the last two restore points and no luck.
Samsung NP700Z5B laptop Windows 7 Home Premium.

A:Freeze - Black Screen - Can't Start Windows

could be a RAM defect. Try memtest86+, burn it on cd and boot from it for an overnight test

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/550705/freeze-black-screen-cant-start-windows/
Relevancy 65.36%

I honestly dont know how to get the specs of my computer on here but this is the problem Windows vista bit I have no idea what or what i did but lately out of no where after i have turned on my computer and done various things such as online activity photoshop things random junk the whole screen turns grey From this point i cannot restart or go to task manager with ctrl alt del i have Windows vista grey freeze screen to literally hold my computer power button until it turns it off there is no other way can anyone help me I dont even know where to go with this problem my stomach is killing me because i cant lose this computer and i am now very stressed so thank you for your time and please help Meagan Ok so did the tsg sysinfo thing here is the log Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor AMD Athlon tm Dual-Core Processor x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Acer WMCP M Antivirus AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition Updated and Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

Ok I'm running Windows BSOD: screen in Pixelated Windows 7 freeze Ultimate -bit SP Hardware is about years old I put the system together myself It was originally running Windows XP For the first years everything worked fine I don't think I had a single BSOD or crash of this type but about a year ago it started doing this thing where the screen would become very pixelated and completely freeze I would need to do a hard reset This would happen randomly but usually within - minutes of using the computer It happens when I'm browsing the net or doing random things within Windows but seemingly doesn't ever happen when I'm running a game or anything graphically-intensive I can play World of Warcraft for hours with no crash or problems at all but mins into browing the web BSOD: Pixelated screen freeze in Windows 7 it will freeze I've tested all the memory and replaced the power supply video card and HDD and nothing seems to help It's BSOD: Pixelated screen freeze in Windows 7 doing the same thing no matter what Also I should mention that it started doing this when I still had XP installed and it's continued to do the same thing even now that I have Windows Sometimes there will be a month or two where it doesn't happen at all but then it will just start happening again and do it for a couple months Every time I start the computer without fail it will happen within minutes unless I'm playing a game Also for the first months or so it would just freeze with the pixelated screen and stay like that until I did a hard reset but lately after the screen messes up it BSOD: Pixelated screen freeze in Windows 7 will then switch to a BSOD still pixelated to the point where I can't even read what it says and then shut down I assume it's a hardware problem of some kind since it's persisted across operating systems Any thoughts on what the problem could be I've attached the perfmon report and the script file as instructed in the sticky Thanks

A:BSOD: Pixelated screen freeze in Windows 7

what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
model
wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/bsod-pixelated-screen-freeze-in-windows-7-a-616215.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I have an ASUS LaptopUL30ASeries. Windows Firewall blocked a website Akamai and now the window that tells me this stays on my desktop and I can't close it. I shut-down and restarted several times, hit escape, and control,alt,delete but can't resolve problem

A:Windows Firewall causing screen freeze

Hi, might be a simple reset, go to start search and type:-cmd, right click the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt type:-

netsh advfirewall reset (press enter) you should receive an OK message.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-firewall-causing-screen-freeze-679226.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I have been using Windows since it was released with no problems It actually improved my old laptops performance Recently i updated to through the MS store and since then the laptop has been freezing on reboots and when waking up from extended Windows FREEZE Boot on 8.1 screen Splash sleep If i put the computer to sleep and wake it up it boots just fine but if it is asleep for an hour or so it will freeze on the splash screen The little swirling orbs will rotate then suddenly lock and the only way to get it out is to hold the power down and do a hard reboot Bios is the Most current i can get from HP Turned of FASTboot helped with shutdowns but not with sleep Have updated all the drivers as far as i can tell I have found other people with similar problems but their solutions have been fast boot which has not helped me Windows ATI HD Mobile gb ddr ramAMD Turion X mobile processor RM- GHz

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/35613-windows-8-1-freeze-boot-splash-screen.html
Relevancy 64.5%

hi,

I recently upgraded to windows10 from win7. post upgrade I am facing issues related to display. 1600X1200 mode is available, but it cuts a portion of the screen. 1400X1250 works fine, but unable to utilize the whole screen-space. here is what i tried:
1) upgrade drivers
outcome: unable to get drivers changed from Microsoft basic display adapter after uninstalling the Microsoft basic display adapter in device manager.
unable to change or update dell drivers downloaded from dell.com (R68954)
Trued reinstalling nvidia drives. failed
I am using a Asus A7V(MB). unable to install from MB drives as they are pretty old ones.
logged on to Asus account and updated the VIA AGP Driver for Win9x/2000 andVIA AGP Driver v4.03 for Win9x and Win2000.
All working fine. Display 1600X1200 without any cut...
you can try if required for Dell 2001fp monitors...

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19682887
Relevancy 64.5%

hi,

I recently upgraded to windows10 from win7. post upgrade I am facing issues related to display. 1600X1200 mode is available, but it cuts a portion of the screen. 1400X1250 works fine, but unable to utilize the whole screen-space. here is what i tried:
1) upgrade drivers
outcome: unable to get drivers changed from Microsoft basic display adapter after uninstalling the Microsoft basic display adapter in device manager.
unable to change or update dell drivers downloaded from dell.com (R68954)
Trued reinstalling nvidia drives. failed
I am using a Asus A7V(MB). unable to install from MB drives as they are pretty old ones.
logged on to Asus account and updated the VIA AGP Driver for Win9x/2000 andVIA AGP Driver v4.03 for Win9x and Win2000.
All working fine. Display 1600X1200 without any cut...
you can try if required for Dell 2001fp monitors...

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19682887
Relevancy 64.5%

My computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and after POST it goes to an all black screen with a _ in the top left.

This started with a blue screen after waking up from sleep. I have re installed windows 3 times now and it happens again after 2-3 days always the same after waking up. It will boot ant thing else i can think of from UBCD to Linux and the install CD. The install CD however will not run Start-up repair saying it is not the right version of windows even when i installed it 2 days ago with that exact CD. i"m normal very good with computer but this one has me stumped and i don't wish to re-install again as it takes quite some time as it is a rather unique setup.

Thank you for any help you can give
Bradley

A:Windows 7 Home Premium black screen after POST

Quote:
all black screen with a _ in the top left

That could be any number of things such as it trying to boot to an Optical drive that has a disc in it but is not bootable, has a USB drive plugged in or a printer with memory stick slots or USB port on it. Basically it's looking for boot files and can't find them, could be the HDD has gone bad.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/348665-windows-7-home-premium-black-screen-after-post.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello I hope this message finds yoiu well Here is the story I installed some problem welcome post at screen, XP frozen windows logs freeware and then found out that firefox google search has been windows XP frozen at welcome screen, logs post problem hijacked and windows XP frozen at welcome screen, logs post problem always send me to cse partner etc I opened CCleaner to uninstall all recent software windows XP frozen at welcome screen, logs post problem I found something called selectionlinks which i didn't install I unistalled it and thats when my windows xp pro sp crashed Whenever I boot it up it freezes forever on the welcome screen SO I formatted the C partition and reinstalled windows I then ran adwcleaner and Rougekiller to see if there is still any thing there Please take a look and tell me what I should do nexr Here is the logs form them I hope its okay I didn't do a DDS log I will if you say you need it ADWCLEANER LOG AdwCleaner v - Logfile created at Updated by Xplode Operating system Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack bits User PC Boot Mode Normal Running from D idm downloads adwcleaner exe Option Search Services Files Folders Registry Key Found HKCU Software Conduit Key Found HKLM Software Conduit Internet Browsers - Internet Explorer v OK Registry is clean - Mozilla Firefox v en-US File C Documents and Settings PCdesktop Application Data Mozilla Firefox Profiles r iqvzot default prefs js OK File is clean AdwCleaner R txt - octets - AdwCleaner R txt - octets - AdwCleaner R txt - octets - AdwCleaner R txt - octets - AdwCleaner R txt - octets - AdwCleaner R txt - octets - AdwCleaner R txt - octets - EOF - C AdwCleaner R txt - octets RougeKiller Log RogueKiller V Mar by Tigzy mail tigzyRK lt at gt gmail lt dot gt com Feedback http www geekstogo com forum files file -roguekiller Website http tigzy geekstogo com roguekiller php Blog http tigzyrk blogspot com Operating System Windows XP Service Pack bits version Started in Normal mode User PCdesktop Admin rights Mode Scan -- Date ARK FAK MBR Bad processes Registry Entries HJ HKLM Security Center UpdatesDisableNotify - gt FOUND HJ DESK HKLM NewStartPanel D FE - AEA- -A D - B D - gt FOUND Particular Files Folders Driver LOADED HOSTS File -- gt C WINDOWS system drivers etc hosts

A:windows XP frozen at welcome screen, logs post problem

Good evening.
Given that you have reinstalled Windows, unless your PC is misbehaving in some way, i'd say that you have dealt with your own issue.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/494084/windows-xp-frozen-at-welcome-screen-logs-post-problem/
Relevancy 64.5%

Please help...

Windows XP SP3

I have often error on my laptop, suddenly my windows screen is black and freeze.

Details error:

source: system error
event id: 1003

description:
Error code 100000c5, parameter1 5776414a, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 805515a1.

how to fix it?

A:Error Windows XP - suddenly black screen and freeze

"suddenly my windows screen is black and it freezes"...

What are you doing when the laptop freezes? Does the freezing show after some time? If so, the laptop may be overheating

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-windows-xp-suddenly-black-screen-and-freeze.174387/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello Everyone,

I never get a blue screen, the computer never just restarts, the mouse just seems to stop moving, and this has been happening since I got my computer about 3 months ago. Whenever this happens all I can do is turn the power off and restart. Going through my event logs the only common occurrence is that right before I am turning off my computer I get "Filter Manager - Event ID - 6". This is not recorded as an error, but happens right before "Kernel Power - Event ID - 41" which I believe is when I push the power button to restart. If anyone has any ideas or might need some more information please let me know. Thanks a lot in advance.

JH

A:Random Mouse/Screen Freeze Windows 7 P67 Pro3 MB

Have you let it set for a while to see if it un-freezes on its own?

Is it a complete system freeze or just the mouse freezing?, next time it freezes do a "Ctrl+Alt+Del" twice in a row quickly to see if you get a different screen.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/random-mouse-screen-freeze-windows-7-p67-pro3-mb.1047120/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi,

I'm running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. My my laptop is about 6 months old with 8gb RAM.

I have recently done a fresh install and ever since then I'm getting random screen freezes (it never happened before fresh install)... the mouse, keys, ctrl alt delete etc.wont respond and the only way out is to hold down power and restart.

I thought it could be a RAM problem but I have checked with memtest with no problems found. I have also scanned with malwarbytes antimalware with nothing found.

Can anyone give me any advice.

Many thanks.

Relevancy 64.07%

i had recently built a new computer after installing windows everything was fine except for during start-up keyboard detected no @ post screen, post/bios odd plus it'd say 'no keyboard deteced' which it wasn't detecting it because i couldnt acess bios during this once i came to the windows log in screen it was then reading the keyboard a few days ago i had a power outage during a thunderstorm and now a screen appears when turning on my computer giving me options somehwat like 'continue start up' and 'enter a set up' these are extremely general ideas odd post/bios screen, plus no keyboard detected @ post of what it says but its not the usual 'start windows normally' screen i would look but i'm currently at work since i cannot access the internet at home due to these problems lol the problem with this screen appearing is that since it is not detecting my keyboard at post i have no where else to go i've tried every usb port as well as a ps keyboard i either a need to figure out how to get past this screen or not have it appear at all or b figure out how to get it to detect my keyboard if you have any suggestions or info i'd really appreciate the help thanks

A:odd post/bios screen, plus no keyboard detected @ post

you could try removing the CMOS battery on the motherboard and using the jumper to reset the BIOS to factory defaults.

Always us a known good PS/2 keyboard. USB is OK after you have everything setup but unless you enable Legacy USB support in the BIOS the USB keyboard may not be seen by the BIOS (I've had this exact problem).

If the PS/2 keyboard is not seen when plugged into the keyboard PS/2 port move it to the PS/2 mouse port.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/153905-odd-post-bios-screen-plus-no-keyboard-detected-post.html
Relevancy 64.07%

This started a few days ago Everything was running fine until then no error or forced shutdown to give any indication of a cause I turn on the computer everything starts up like normal All the fans spin the POST screen displays screen Blank after doesn't Windows POST, Solved: load and runs through like normal Then when it would normally go to the Windows splash screen it now just goes blank Completely Solved: Blank screen after POST, Windows doesn't load black no cursor or progress bar or anything The monitor s backlight stays lit like it s still running normally but Windows just doesn t load Before all this I was getting an occasional restart from what I m guessing was an overheating video card But after I took it out and blew all the dust out of it it worked fine for a couple weeks so I m pretty sure that didn Solved: Blank screen after POST, Windows doesn't load t have anything to do with it Still I d been looking to upgrade my video card for a while so I picked up another and switched it out but it s still having the same issue I m using the Solved: Blank screen after POST, Windows doesn't load same monitor on the backup computer and it s working fine I checked all the connections on the motherboard the back of the case and the monitor I read somewhere to try pushing the quot Caps Lock quot key to see if maybe it s loading and not displaying but it doesn t light up on the keyboard like it does on the other computer at the Windows login screen so I m forced to conclude that for whatever reason Windows just isn t loading Could this be a software issue or am I definitely looking at replacing more hardware And if so any ideas on what might be causing it If it helps at all my setup is Windows XP Home Edition RAIDMAX QUANTUM RX- W Power Supply Seagate Barracuda ST AS GB Hard Drive GIGABYTE GA-MA GP-UD H Motherboard AMD Athlon X Kuma GHz CPU CORSAIR XMS GB x GB -Pin DDR RAM SAPPHIRE Radeon X XT Video Card Thanks in advance for any help nbsp

Relevancy 64.07%

Was infected with a screen block virus yesterday (ukash) but was able to use safe mode to run AVG and MBAM to clear. Normal mode was accessible again and screen no longer blocked so ran MBAM again but kept sticking. Ran again overnight but now have black screen (no taskbar, no option to ctrl+alt+dlt). Safe mode was running normally until I followed advice to edit the drive names in regedit.exe as a solution. Since Safe Mode is also now a black screen so can run no diagnostic tools. Can ctrl+alt+dlt in safe mode, no other functionality.

I am running Windows 7 on a Sony Vaio laptop less than a year old. Came preinstalled with Windows. I have license key but not discs.

Help!!!!

A:Black screen - this copy of Windows is not genuine - post virus

Is the reinstall partition on the hard drive still intact?
Tapping F10 while booting should get you to the factory restore partition but you will lose all data(files and programs added since new) currently on the drive

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-this-copy-of-windows-is-not-genuine-post-virus-702743.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi this is my first post Log On Before Screen Screen? Black Freeze in this forum all the problems i ve had with the computer i ve been able to repair them myself but this time I really need help from someone more knowledgable I have a laptop Compaq Black Screen Freeze Before Log On Screen? Presario Pentium Windows XP Ghz Ram My computer freezes into a black screen or empty screen whatever you may call it it happens after the Windows XP logo with the loading bar below it and before the log on screen which of course i haven t been able to get to It just stays black in safe mode it just starts loading all these things like drivers like a list of things and then stops and freezes like that and last known configuration doesn t work either and it doesn t respond to anything i do with the keyboard I asked a friend to make some boot disks for me and he gave me floppy disks I tried using them and after loading all of them Black Screen Freeze Before Log On Screen? and following the steps at disk it gives me the options to install XP go to the recovery console and to exit I tried first the recovery console and it just asks me quot Which Windows installation would you like to log onto C WINDOWS quot then i wrote and pressed enter and nothing happened it seem it froze like that too I don t have the Windows XP CDROM so i cant install anything i could try getting one but still i m at the point that i don t know if getting it would help me or if there is a way to use these floppies to repair whatever error the computer has Thats why I ask if somebody could give me some directions i would greatly appreciate any help don t matter if its just a small suggestion i ve had the computer in this state for two weeks with no signs of hope so any help would be really great Thanks much in advance

A:Black Screen Freeze Before Log On Screen?

Welcome to Bleeping Computer!

It seems to me, and you might want to wait until others weigh in on your situation, that you have a problem with the video driver.

When Windows starts it uses a generic driver for the video. Then it loads another driver while booting up. It seems that this is when you lose your screen.

Hmmmmmm.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/49794/black-screen-freeze-before-log-on-screen/
Relevancy 63.64%

windows xp was working fine and it just froze so i restarted it
and it went to the disk checking and it came up with
invalid timestamps and it scrolled through a list fast i could not catch most of it and then went to the windows xp click your user name login screen

and the mouse moves until i click on the place to put my password and it freezes . . i've tried going back and restarting using safe mode, and even restore previous settings but it doesn't work

is my files screwed or is there any way of salvaging it?

i know this is kinda vauge and i could try to get more information if it is needed. some of the work i have on my computer is very valuable.

thank you

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/invalid-timestamp-windows-blue-screen-login-freeze-41633.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Lost my DSL for months during which I built the ultimate version of winXPro that I reimage the instant my OS sneezes Its the th evolution of this build each more perfect than the last They turn multi-week uptimes sweating through gaming as well as hard core data manipulation without hesitation reimaged to my P recently this build ran a day uptime before I rebooted it It is perfection incarnate Back online again MB unlimited DSL through Century Link with Dynamic IP My first two days online were uneventful but on day three the oddities began My machine blue screened a dozen times it had never before and my modem all-green-light froze to death two dozen times Kaspersky found four Trojans and one malware perhaps laying in wait from my offline build I removed them from my System rescanned as clean then reimaged to rescan again as clean And have reimaged to an earlier OS build to verify its not the OS Since then my system has blued a half dozen times but the modem has not Intrusions Windows Freeze/Blue XP Modem Screen/Firewall frozen again I've changed my IP every time And eventually it dawned on me that Windows XP Modem Freeze/Blue Screen/Firewall Intrusions every time i reboot from a blue screen my copy of Zonealarm 's Intrusion blocked counter which usually registers - blocked access attempts per day was moving at - per second on day alone Yet Windows XP Modem Freeze/Blue Screen/Firewall Intrusions not one attack after an IP change My modem freezing and my Windows XP Blue screening are unprecedented I've used my modem for many years and run this type of build process with XP for as many too The attacks always follow the blue screen reboot and no other yet my system is clean and I know no one that knows me or wants to hack me specifically Theories XP is being hunted like never before dead or alive it either a threatens to once again over take win as the most used OS in the desktop universe once users realize how nice is b is an easy target for a new campaign of XP hackers These blue screens preceded by masses of blocked firewall intrusions are someone hating XP Theories Suggestions that don't involve me upgrading windows My Rig Intel BOXDH CRB LGA Intel H SATA Micro ATX with -PCI Express x -PCI Express x -PCI - The last Intel board with Full winXPro support Kingston HyperX Blu GB x -Pin SDRAM DDR GB total rd Generation Intel Core i - Ivy Bridge GHz LGA HD Graphics SPARKLE GeForce GTX SE Fermi GB -bit Video Card -desktop-winxp- bit-english-whql DirectX Version DirectX c Windows XP Pro sp dotnetfx vc Intel - HD Graphics Driver - Intel - Chipset Device Software Intel - BIOS upgrade BEH H A EB EXE my only bios configuration gt video - always enabled - max dtvm memory - internal graphics igt Actiontec GT -WG DSL modem

A:Windows XP Modem Freeze/Blue Screen/Firewall Intrusions

Ultimate version of Windows XP pro? What do you mean? There is only Windows XP Home, PRO, and Media Edition. Where did you get your copy of Windows XP?

You have mentioned Zonealarm 7 and kaspersky. Does Zonealarm have anti virus also? is Windows XP,s firewall disabled when using ZoneAlarm?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/windows-xp-modem-freeze-blue-screen-firewall-intrusions-839850.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi thanks startup, death Black at Solved: all blue with began screen screen a of for checking Solved: Black screen of death at startup, all began with a blue screen my question I haven t found an answer to my particular situation Dell xps m laptop w vista It all started with a blue screen w scrolling text after the fated restart The blue screen text said quot if this is the first time you ve seen this message quot and then comp restarted again showing the blue screen then restarted into windows repair mode after repair mode tried to fix Solved: Black screen of death at startup, all began with a blue screen the problem comp restarted then the screen went black blank right after the little windows loading animation where the bar keeps moving from left to right and there s a small windows logo It all happened fast so there may have been steps I forgot but that s the jist of it Now screen always goes black blank during startup after the windows loading animation so I can t start windows in normal mode I can start in safe mode if I manually force shutdown by holding the power button so I m not imploding with fear ok I am Possible causes This occured right after installing vista updates that restart was when I saw the blue screen Also occured the restart after running a patch called quot Vista TCP IP and UAC AutoPatch quot I downloaded it from softpedia the developer was listed as defcon and their website listed was securevista net but the site is down I found this out after the problem occured The patch had lots of positive reviews and lots of people on other sites also suggest using it to remove the limit of tcp connections which windows unnecessarily imposes Removing the limit supposedly increases P P filesharing speeds so it s a common approach to slow utorrent problems etc to patch the tcp sys file I have since quot unpatched quot it using the unpatch file which came with it but I m suspicious of the software developer now The patch originally disabled UAC user account control which is suspicious to me but I m not highly tech savy so I dunno if that s common or not I did also remove mcafee s security center I was busy I guess that was a mistake should always restart after each big change I apologize for the complication this creates in identifying the problem It s possible I did something else before the fatal restart if none of these three could be the culprit then I ll think harder about what that could be but for now these changes stand out in my mind I m assuming that windows repair mode s changes didn t cause this problem but I don t have any factual reason to believe that What could this be What can I do Thank you p s This is the last time I ever install software from a company that doesn t have an active website even if this wasn t the problem s cause nbsp

A:Solved: Black screen of death at startup, all began with a blue screen

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-black-screen-of-death-at-startup-all-began-with-a-blue-screen.804669/
Relevancy 63.64%

i'm sorry but i've had it so here is what happens first you should know i had to take my pc to the shop bought a new hdd and reinstalled windows xp service pack I press the power button windows start loading sometimes a blue screen appears and if you wait long enough a startup, when freezes screen Blue at works welcome screen, at unplugged monitor welcome screen and that's it Sometimes is goes past the welcome screen it loads normally and freezes after half an hour I took it to the shop and it worked fine Blue screen at startup, freezes at welcome screen, works when monitor unplugged there Brought it back home still blue screen etc It start normally if i unplug the monitor Sometimes if i plug it back in the monitor start normally other times it just stays black i'll give you Blue screen at startup, freezes at welcome screen, works when monitor unplugged any information needed but it will take a while since i don't have the heart to restart my pc this many times i think in the last two days i've restarted it like times no kiddin' ok thank you System AMD Sempron tm Processor GHz mb of RAM Monitor Samsung syncmaster sn Graphic Card nvidia geforce Also here are some errors warnings from the system log The NVIDIA Update Service Daemon service failed to start due to the following error The system cannot find the file specified The DNS Client service could not contact any DNS servers for a repeated number of attempts For the next seconds the DNS Client service will not use the network to avoid further network performance problems It will resume its normal behavior after that If this problem persists verify your TCP IP configuration specifically check that you have a preferred and possibly an alternate DNS server configured If the problem continues verify network conditions to these DNS servers or contact your network administrator Timeout milliseconds waiting for a transaction response from the NVSvc service The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources however none of the sources are currently accessible No attempt to contact a source will be made for minutes NtpClient has no source of accurate time

A:Blue screen at startup, freezes at welcome screen, works when monitor unplugged

It seems to me that you might have a bad/dying power supply unit.

How long have you got the computer?

Take it to the shop and let them test it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/blue-screen-at-startup-freezes-at-welcome-screen-works-when-monitor-unplugged-617389.html