Windows Support Forum

Problem with my external WD 1TB My Passport hard disk

Q: Problem with my external WD 1TB My Passport hard disk

Dear frnds,

I have been using my external hard disk(WD My Passport Essential SE) 1 Tb, since last 6 months, but after a recent virus scan, my laptop is not showing the external hard disk, i have tried using My computer, Manage and Disk management.

I am unable to find external hard disk even in Disk management i.e. it is not showing.
So please can anyone help me in this concern......
I would really appreciate and thanks in advance

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Problem with my external WD 1TB My Passport hard disk

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Problem with my external WD 1TB My Passport hard disk

First, try accessing it from another computer to be sure it can be accessed elsewhere. The Western Digital Passport Essential has had a pretty high failure rate as seen in our shop... so the unavailable external hard disk may not have anything to do with the virus scan may have nothing to do with the problem.

In other cases, I would attempt to reinstall the Passport drive. You do not usually cause any damage to the data on the drive when you do this.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-my-external-wd-1tb-my-passport-hard-disk.176021/
Relevancy 105.35%

I recently bought a external hard disk of WD (My Passport Ultra) 1TB. It was working fine untill now. Now there is a problem going on. I have used only 656GB of space but it now show that I have only 4GB of storage left. Earlier it was showing 257 GB of space left from 913GB but now it shows the above. I can't understand what is the problem. If anybody could guide me it would an immense help. Thank you.

Bodhiswattwa Tewari
[email address removed]

A:Problem With My Passport Ultra external hard disk by WD

Maybe @jobeard could help here. What OS are you running? OS X or Windows?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-my-passport-ultra-external-hard-disk-by-wd.204228/
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi there,

Sorry if this has been posted anywhere else, but im new.

In early 2008 i bought a WD Passport. It worked perfectly on my old laptop, but im no longer able to use that and so, now im using a windows xp computer.

But for some reason when i plug my device in to my computer, a small speech bubble appears and says "USB Device not recognised" and ive tried numerous troubleshootings and all sorts but nothing seems to help.

Another problem is that i no longer have the installation disc, which i can imagine to be a major problem.

The model number is: WD2500XMS-00

Id be extremely gratefull for any help and suggestions that anyone has,
Thankyou in advance

A:WD Passport External Hard drive

Some peripherals require that you start withthe install disk, which may be the case for you. Example: I have 2 digital cameras, [1] was recognized when it was plugged in, the other needed the software 1st, until prompted to plug it in. That being said, you should be able to visit the support pages and download the required drivers.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-passport-external-hard-drive.131627/
Relevancy 75.68%

hi i'm new here... is anyone familiar with external drives.?
i'm having a problem with the WD 160 gb passport...
it shows up on my laptop and i hear it running ... but
it's not showing up on any of the drives...

it usually would show up on drive F, but no more...

can someone tell me how to fix it?

thanks

Relevancy 74.82%

Hello,

I have been using my Wester Digital 1TB 'Passport' for around 1 year now. I have around 700 GB of data on there, and I have recently ran into some problems with it. When I plug it into my Dell computer runnign Windows 7, it makes the beeping sound that it was plugged in correctly. Once you hear the beep, nothing else happens. There is no othe rnotifications that come up, and it does not show up under My Computer. I have tried assigning the drive a new letter in disk Management, and that doesnt seem to do the trick either. There is a light on the passport that usually always blinks while plugged in, now when I plug the drive in the light no longer blinks, and just constantly stays on.

I really appreciate eveyones help on this matter. Thank you for your time.

Thanks,
Bobcats12

Relevancy 74.82%

Hello all I didn't use my external hard drive for over a month and today I decided that i wanted a back-up of some of the stuff on my laptop I plugged it in and immediately a message popped up saying that this drive was protected by something called BitLocker It required me to enter a digit recovery key I had NEVER heard of BitLocker up until that point I didn't know anything about a recovery key and why didn't it ask BitLocker 2TB) passport Hard Drive(WD My External and for a regular password first before asking for a recovery key I didn't have a clue I still don't have a clue I searched my computer for BitLocker BitLocker and External Hard Drive(WD My passport 2TB) using the regular system search No results I searched in PC Info There is something about encryption there That was and is turned off Not a mention of BitLocker anywhere When i looked it up it said it comes with Windows Pro or Enterprise edition I am fairly certain I have regular How in the name of all that is holy did I get saddled with this piece of shit encryption that locks me from my files while I don't even want it When I plugged BitLocker and External Hard Drive(WD My passport 2TB) it into my fathers laptop also running it gave the same message When i plugged it into my brothers Asus tablet with keyboard combo also running it didn't give any problems Does anyone here have any clue what is going on Would be greatly greatly appreciated Thank you

A:BitLocker and External Hard Drive(WD My passport 2TB)

I'm having the exact same problem. I've been dealing with it for months. Both of my external hard drives had this happen to them at roughly the same time, and I have no idea how. I too had never heard of Bitlocker before this happened. I tried calling WD and they told me to call Microsoft as Bitlocker is owned by Microsoft. I called Microsoft and they told me to talk to WD. I've been led in circles for months and still cannot access my hard drives and the files on them. I do not have the recovery keys and do not know how to get them. I have been searching for answers throughout the internet without any results. I was told that I could reformat them, and that might work, but then I would lose all of my files. I don't have a backup for them because my hard drives were the backups (that's why I had two!). If you have been able to fix this problem, or have any sort of solutions or options, please, please help me out.

http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/55984-bitlocker-external-hard-drive-wd-my-passport-2tb.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Hello everyone,
I have a WD passport 1 terrabyte external hard drive. I brought it abroad with me and transfered some files from it to my sister's computer and when I tried plugging it into my computer at home again it gives me the error: "You need to format disk drive G: before you can use it". Also whenever I plug it in it makes my computer so slow that I cannot do anything on it. So I tried downloading Partition Table Doctor and I cannot actually use it because it is so slow that it won't load my external hard drive when I plug it in. My sister's OS is WIndows 7 and I have Vista. Anyway, please help! I will gladly give more information, whatever is needed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-wd-passport-external-hard-drive.1011322/
Relevancy 74.82%

Hi everyone I ve been reading the forums all day to try and find External Drive Hard Passport WD Unreadable a solution to my unreadable hard drive problem but so far haven t had much luck This morning before powering up my laptop I managed to drop my girlfriend s external hard drive after which point it has not surprisingly refused to be recognised in quot My Computer quot I would therefore very much appreciate any advice on resuscitating the thousands of photos and music files which are hopefully still on there This is my problem Although not visible in My Computer the drive can be seen using Disk Management showing as an unknown unreadable drive When it s connected to my WD Passport External Hard Drive Unreadable laptop the drive makes different pitched beeps and repeats this cycle times The WD Passport External Hard Drive Unreadable LED is lit and the drive can be disconnected using Safely Remove Hardware I ve tried running chkdsk in WD Passport External Hard Drive Unreadable CMD but the message quot Cannot open volume for direct access quot appears Nor am I able to reassign the drive letter as I can only access properties in Disk Management I ve changed USB cables and tried a quot Y quot cable with two usb connections in case it was a power issue I ve also tried it on another laptop running Windows XP on which the drive doesn t even appear in Disk Management I have already had a quote of - to recover the data on the drive but have also heard that buying a bit of kit for around and some software and removing the drive from its casing is also an option Before doing that though I wanted to see if anyone has had this same problem and if so if there was any other course of action other than burial the hard drive s and my own Thanks for any replies nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wd-passport-external-hard-drive-unreadable.955735/
Relevancy 74.82%

I need your help urgently I have a GB Western Digital passport external hard drive that has suddenly stopped working It last worked fine before a small fall from the table but I suspect the real reason for it not functioning is the presence of a virus Now when I connect the hard drive it is detected by the PC the driver is loaded the first time if run on a new PC I Passport drive hard WD in Virus external ve tried it on many PC s but no new drive is shown in My Computer Sometimes it shows up as the letter G in My Computer previously it was F It is also extremely slow The drive does not open on double clicking right click explore or via any application The hard drive shows up in Safely remove hardware but does not always appear as an icon in My Computer If it occasionally does as G then it still wont open just freeze The computer application just freezes It goes back to normal on removal of hard drive It shows up similarly in Disk management I've also Virus in WD Passport external hard drive tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers I would have thought this is due to the fall it suffered but I have found the recent virus Autorun inf in my PC and another Hard Drive plus a few Trojan horses which leads me Virus in WD Passport external hard drive to believe that it might have to do with the non functioning of my hard drive I have tried running various Antivirus programs like AVG spybot Trojan removers etc they ve removed a few viruses but I m not convinced my PC is clean I ve also tried the procedure of removing all Autorun inf files from the PC amp drives from command prompt as suggested in discussion forums online Now when I try to open my WD hard drive letter G in any way it either freezes or recommends a format of the hard drive I am assuming that it would function fine after a format but I include about GB of valuable data in it which I am afraid to lose I am aware that there are data recovery softwares which can recover formatted files but since I haven t ever done it before I am not sure how robust that recovery is or if the files and folders are recovered in the same manner ie files in the correct folders I fear that recovery might not work on this virus subjected Hard drive or if it works that some files might be lost and the rest be recovered in a random mixed up fashion making GB of files a complete chaos I thankyou for your all the help in this regard DS Negi

A:Virus in WD Passport external hard drive

Hello and welcome to TSF.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link given below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:

Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps

link at the top of each page.

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/virus-in-wd-passport-external-hard-drive-407020.html
Relevancy 74.82%

I bought a GB silver WD Passport essential SE Hard drive a few weeks ago I connected DEP WD drive issue external with hard passport it to my computer and everything went great I backed up all my files lightning fast I am a photographer and wanted something to store photos on to free up my computer I then luckily backed up all files to disks taking daaaays I was having a few issues with my computer and a few people had suggested wiping my hard drive and starting my computer from scratch I spent an evening doing just that Once I got my computer back up and did all windows DEP issue with WD passport external hard drive updates getting me caught up since the computer is years old I plugged my passport back in I needed to reinstall the driver but now when I try to do so it comes up DEP issue with WD passport external hard drive with a message saying that windows will not allow this DEP issue with WD passport external hard drive to continue because of my DEP settings I went into my advance system settings to override DEP on that specific file only to get another error message saying that this file must be run with DEP enabled I am at a complete loss I have went to both microsoft and WD s websites and read over all the troubleshooting they have on this issue and nothing is out there to help me How do I get around this Why did it work before and not now Also when I go into my computer and look at the drive it is showing that the drive is empty Which means all of those files are gone good thing I spent time with old school CD s please help me out I don t have the money to pay WD to troubleshoot this nbsp

A:DEP issue with WD passport external hard drive

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/120778-dep-enable-disable.html
files will be there just not being recognised or read

http://support.wdc.com/ fairly sure support is free at least for first query or 30 days

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dep-issue-with-wd-passport-external-hard-drive.980319/
Relevancy 74.82%

disk 1 is not initialized, unallocated.

I tried to initialize in disk management. But it showed disk is write protected then i opened command prompt but there disk 1 (WD external hard drive) not shown but when I wrote command select disk 1 then disk 1 is selected and Then wrote command attributes disk set readonly but shown it failed.

I also tried Minitool partition wizard..nothing happened...
what should I do Now... plz help me

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/383915-wd-my-passport-external-hard-drive-unallocated.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Hi,
my 80GB WD Passport is not being detected by my laptop when plugged in (by USB). A LED at the side of the external hard drive indicates that it is being powered on even though the computer shows no sign of detection (no sound indication; nothing showing up in My Computer). May someone please assist me in solving this problem? Thanks a bunch.
External Hard Drive Specs
80GB Wd Passport, model wd1200u017-002.
It is only compatible with USB 2.0.
(please note that my WD Passport is very old)

Computer Specs
Windows edition: Windows 7 Home Premium
Manufacturer: Dell
Model: N5110
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU2.10GHz 2.10 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 6.00 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System
(note this computer has both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, & I tried the harddrive in both ports)

(guys, formatting the WD Passport is not an option as the drive contains important files.)

A:WD Passport external hard drive not being detected

So, there's nobody willing to help? Please, there's irreplaceable files in my WD. Thanks again

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/239664-wd-passport-external-hard-drive-not-being-detected.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Help I have just returned from a trip where I downloaded all my Raw photo files on my hard drive and suddenly my WD passport hard drive will not work Windows will not respond to it at all I plug it is to my Drive Hard external passport WD Problems laptop and nothing comes up so I try to go into my computer as I have had to do to enter it many times and the whole window program freezes I tried connecting my hard drive before turning on and windows will just not start I have had problems before locating and opening my hard drive and have been told it is a Vista problem and had to some times restart my lap top with the HD connected to be able Problems WD passport external Hard Drive to locate it and open then it seemed to sort it self out but now I cant open it at all every thing freezes till I disconnect it form my lap top I am worried I have lost all my photos can any one help me

A:Problems WD passport external Hard Drive

Try another machine and another cable just to be sure that's not the issue. Another option would be to remove the drive from the enclosure and put it into a different enclosure or into another PC.

You could try a file recovery program such as Test Disk or GetDataBack but if the drive isn't being recognized at all these may not do anything.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problems-wd-passport-external-hard-drive-604477.html
Relevancy 74.82%

nbsp USB jpg nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads nbsp USB jpg nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads nbsp USB jpg nbsp (impossible) disk making on disk Problem 2.0 slow USB with external hard image nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloadsDear all I will enclose here my complaint which I send to motherboard maker Gigabyte regarding USB external hard disk problem Please read it and if anybody knows how to solve this thanks -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My computer has external hard drive connected to USB port s which is extremely slow Drive is Transcend StoreJet No drivers exist for it It works perfectly for other I O operations like copy paste delete etc When I try to make hard disk image with any program and store it on Transcend Store Jet Problem with slow (impossible) disk image making on USB 2.0 external hard disk speed starts with MB s but drops to nearly zero in few minutes You can see example on attached picture It is the same with any program Disk image would take more than one day to complete if it completes at all Actually I never managed to finish image with any disk Problem with slow (impossible) disk image making on USB 2.0 external hard disk imaging software I tried all usual software for that Paragon Aomei Acronis EaseusToDo Drive Problem with slow (impossible) disk image making on USB 2.0 external hard disk XML etc Are there any USB or other drivers which are responsible for this issue Can Gigabyte be serious regarding its costumers and provide them solution in order to use USB ports for most important thing backup In this case making disk image is totally impossible USB ports have speed f Mbit s theoretical This is far cry from situation here So USB ports on this Gigabyte configuration is totally useless for backup on external USB hard disk Clearly there is serious bug which can cause loss of data - worst outcome in computer use for your customers NOTE all disks internal HDD and external USB are checked multiple times and they do not have any errors Hard disk has GB only GB is occupied BIOS can see USB disks It is upgraded to version It is on Safe Default Setting Computer was in service few days ago and they did't diagnose any faulty component Please feel free to ask me for further questions if needed But this issue has to be solved URGENTLY PS I could not open the case of mu computer to see Serial No and Power Supply since it is under guarantee and that is prohibited Again please be URGENT ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A:Problem with slow (impossible) disk image making on USB 2.0 external hard disk

This could be any issue causing your problem , software , usb drive may have errors on it / or ?
Imaging your 150 Gig via Usb will take time { Mine are about 40-50 Gig } Operating System And Programs Only.

I personally partition my main Drive eg: c:\ and d:\ and so only the operating system is on C;\
Then use the D;\ to store your personal files. , this way your c:\ wont keep growing in size as you are storing everything there.
If you cant actually do anything with the computer because of warranties as you stated "just serviced" , ask them why you cant Image Drive.

Options:
1/ Try another hard drive to backup to.{ Usb will always be slower } than directly connected to Mobo.
2/ Use Mini Tool Partition Wizard [ Free } to create another partition - http://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/partition-windows-7-system.html
3/ Remove all Temp Files / Restore Points / etc with Ccleaner { Free ] - https://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER
    this will reduce C:\ size to minimal size { defrag drive also }.
4/ Use any program to Image C:\ { I use Acronis }. to the D:\ Backup Folder.
5/ Then copy the image to any portable drive or external if need be.
6/ Use the D:\ for your personal files and folders as a backup also.

Sometimes you have to do things yourself - than rely on Service Centres and Costs.
If you run a Business then you claim all your costs incurred.

All this will take time but you will have backups and feel at ease.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/557254/problem-with-slow-impossible-disk-image-making-on-usb-20-external-hard-disk/
Relevancy 73.96%

Hello I was given a WD Passport external hard drive to back up my pc on I have a Windows computer No instructions came with this WD device so I contacted WD support They said since my pc is Windows I would have to contact Windows to find out how to format and back up my pc on this external hard drive The only instructions I find online are for Windows and the Windows site itself has NO information on Windows back Passport drive up external = with WD hard problems external hard drive back up instructions I got online to Windows tech help and all they did was copy and past info for the Windows external hard drive info which does me no good since nothing on Win is where it s supposed to be or named what it s supposed to be named How do I back up my pc to this WD Passport external hard drive device Supposedly I have it formatted WD Passport external hard drive = problems with back up already for Windows so all I should have to do is save my pc on it but I don t know how on this screwed up Win Can anybody tell me simple step by step instructions on how to back up my pc on this external drive Thanks nbsp

A:WD Passport external hard drive = problems with back up

wikiHow has step by step directions.

http://www.wikihow.com/Back-up-a-Computer

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wd-passport-external-hard-drive-problems-with-back-up.1145234/
Relevancy 73.96%

Hi
my 500GB WD Passport is not being detected by my laptop when plugged in (by USB). A LED at the side of the external hard drive indicates that it is being powered on even though the computer shows no sign of detection (no sound indication; nothing showing up in My Computer)
I can feel the drive motor start up.(the vibration).
my machine's BIOS detect the drive. but I can't see it in device manager.
my machine use other devices properly.
and I checked my drive in 2 other laptops( both was windows 7) and both failed to detect my WD Passport.
could anyone help me?
thanks

A:my external hard drive (WD my passport) not detected on my laptop

Hello nhaghjoo and welcome to Seven Forums.

It's possible that your external hard drive doesn't have a drive letter assigned. If you could post a screenshot of Disk Management it might provide a clue as to what's happening.

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/287021-my-external-hard-drive-wd-my-passport-not-detected-my-laptop.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Hi Everyone So here the problem I got a Western Digital My Passport TB External Hard Drive with GB of Important Data Guess what No backup and the Hard Drive is not functioning and I need the Data Back and possibly the drive working too I have tried the drive in several PCs so far Windows XP and Windows the disk is physically working fine no damage absolutely it is spinning lights are on etc but The Drive does not open Properties Menu shows - quot RAW quot and quot O Bytes quot See attached Pic Under System Properties and Device Manager shows its there See Attached Pic and quot The Device is Working Properly quot The Disc Management is most PC's does not show anything In some The Passport Initializing Error Hard External My Drive Disc Management Interface crashes however in One of the Windows PC also the same amp the last one in which the My Passport External Hard Drive Initializing Error drive worked it showed up as quot Not Initialized' and also quot Unallocated quot see attached Pic On right clicking to initialize it a message pops up quot You must initialize the disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it quot However going any further it reads quot The Media is write Protected quot see attached pics I dont know what to do next Will try to open this in linux work Any other solutions

A:My Passport External Hard Drive Initializing Error

Try this:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...cy-backup.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/315121-my-passport-external-hard-drive-initializing-error.html
Relevancy 73.96%

My External Hard Drive is not operational when plugged into my computer. The computer detects it as a device but not as a hard drive. I am unable to access it.

This problem has occurred previously. I was suggested to update Windows.

Would appreciate assistance.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL-60, x64 Family 17 Model 3 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1790 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 50869 MB, Free - 33085 MB; D: Total - 50869 MB, Free - 6355 MB; E: Total - 50877 MB, Free - 47193 MB;
Motherboard: Wistron, 360A
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

A:External Hard (WD Passport 0740) drive not working.

Is the drive listed in Device Manager? Is the drive listed in Drive Manager? ...and if so, what is the drive status.

Test the drive on another computer.

Most common cause is hardware failure, typically the external enclosure USB controller board or the drive has become corrupted (several possible causes).

If the drive works on another computer, then you have a PC issue. But most likely, the drive also won't work on another computer, in which case, you have a drive issue as noted above.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-wd-passport-0740-drive-not-working.1134897/
Relevancy 73.53%

Good Evening - I have faith that someone may have the answers to this all-day frustrating computer problem.

I had a virus and I (thought) fixed the virus with stopvilla. The two main problem with the virus killing aftermath is that Microsoft Windows Tools (word, etc) as well as my Western Digital Passport...can not open. at. all. Gone. Adios.

With the Windows...the only thing that is opening is the outlook program.
With the WD Passport, the only thing that is opening is the E:Passport drive...sans all of my valuable folders/content.

What a day to say the least. I am currently an unemployed statistic that was forced from their job during the lay-offs of the recession. I would like to save the expense of admitting my computer to a repair shop. If someone could offer their talents and skills, I would be most appreciative. Thank you very much!

A:Help! WD Passport-External Hard Drive folders missing in Windows XP

Hi Supsey. Welcome to TSF!

This sounds like a virus that has been wreaking havoc on a lot of systems. Short of posting your problem over in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware forum, you could try running a program called unhide.

Go to THIS LINK and scroll down a bit and you'll see a link to download it. This link also has some explanation about what the program does.

Let me know your results.

Good day!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-wd-passport-external-hard-drive-folders-missing-in-windows-xp-599405.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I am using window Vista.I have a WD passport essential usb hard disk.it was working fine 2 days before but today when i plugged it , my computer explorer doesnot show the usb drive but it is decteted in task bar as usb drive is connected.and my pc also dont respond.I have chged my USB port and also chked in another pc but the problem persists.can anyone help me in this regard....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-passport-essential-usb-hard-disk-is-not-detecting.128907/
Relevancy 71.81%

Does anyone know how many milliamps this device draws?

The "Technical Specification" provides plenty of info but does not specify the actual current. All it says is that it is powered directly from the USB port. But I need to know exactly what the peak ma of this device is.

TiA

T

A:Western Digital My Passport Essential 250GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-my-passport-essential-250gb-usb-2-0-portable-external-hard-drive.1107433/
Relevancy 70.95%

i have a 320 gb western digital external hard disk...it worked properly for 1 year..but now when i connect it to the computer i cannot find it in 'my computer'..but it is being displayed in the task bar for removing the hard ware safely. when i connect it i can hear the spinning sound like everytime ...plzzz anyone help mee...

A:External hard disk problem

Try this see How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers.

Also does the drive have its own AC power? if yes also try
> Power down machine. unplug usb cable. Turn off external drive

Turn on computer. Replug USB cable and then turn drive power back on

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-disk-problem.156227/
Relevancy 70.95%

Recently, my external hard disc dropped down frm my writing table on to floor, After that, I connected it to my PC, the PC detected the hardware yet the PC did not show ''Hard drive'' when I clicked on ''My Computer''. Is my hard disc spoiled and cannot be repaired anymore??SAD............ T.T ...a lot of my pictures are inside...

A:External hard disk problem

Does it spin up? Is it making any noise (Clicks?).
If it was running when it fell, there's every chance it's dead.
HD s are not a good choice for backing up important files.
Cloud or optical storage is safer and more reliable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-disk-problem.156149/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi Guys I am having a wierd problem with my simpletech usb hard disk its and external gb which i purchased yesterday It connects to my pc easily and installs all the drivers it need I can see it in my computer and disk managment Problem is that i can read anything from it easily but as soon as i start to copy or backup any files to it it disconnects immediately and then reconnects so the copying process is lost i have many other dthings connecting to my computer such as printers camera phone usb mouse keyboard all through usbs and they all work Usb External Hard disk problem fine and my pc works fine aswell even usb memory stick works fine except usb hard drive and its also having external power I have also unplugged all the extra usb from my pc and still get this problem with other pcs this drive works perfectly i have checked all other sttings and they seems to be all ok and i can't find anything wrong with my External Usb Hard disk problem pc as its up to date i have also checked the power managment for usb My specs are inter c d e gigabyte p motherboard gig mhz ram geforece gt card wireless and rest all ok anyone has any solution or same problem please help

A:External Usb Hard disk problem

Hi guys Please reply , can anyone help me......

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-usb-hard-disk-problem-265529.html
Relevancy 70.95%

i've a seagate freeagent goflex...my pc detects the hard disc but hangs when i try to open...the problem is with the hard disc as this happens to every pc it is connected to...i've tried to format but it does not happen..

A:problem with external hard disk

as its detected do a repair on it first http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-external-hard-disk.970340/
Relevancy 70.95%

my 320 gig seagate free agent go has been acting weird over the past few days, its slow when data is loading from it. I did connect it to different pcs to see if my own computer was at fault but its confirmed that the portable behaved weird on all the computers i tested it in. the movies folder is especially very slow, movies lag when i watch it from this portable.
I have attached a screen shot

Relevancy 70.52%

Hello everyone Lately im having a problem with my External disk.I connect my hard disk with my laptop and it regonizes the disk but it wont show me the disk into my computers.i tried formating it from disk management but still it doesnt show my disk there.as i can see the disk works normal but a virus does not let him work.is there any way to format my disk or remove the virus??????thnx for any answers

A:[SOLVED] External hard disk problem plz help!!

fixed it using ubuntu

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-external-hard-disk-problem-plz-help-531340.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I have used a Western Digital HD on the same computer and had no probs. Just plugged and it started working. But i have no idea why this doesn't work. I have tried it on different comp and OS's, but still didn't work.

A:Toshiba external hard disk problem?

The best way to test the drive is to remove it from its case and connect it to the internal wiring of a desktop PC and see if it operates OK. Often the problem is simply the power supply or a failure in the circuitry in the external box.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-external-hard-disk-problem.162508/
Relevancy 70.52%

Okay so here goes,
I purchased a seagate freeagent 320 gig external. Its working well but I have a problem ejecting it. I right click on the remove hardware, I click on stop and then comes an error... cannot eject generic volume, please try again(something of that sort) (made sure no other hard drive or usb pen drive was connected), This happened several times, I also made sure no other program was making use of this disk... then i dirctly unplugged it out of frustration

A:Solved: Problem with my external hard disk

Did you try running a program to verify no files are being used by the drive when you try to remove it?

If not try OpenedFilesView: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/opened_files_view.html

"OpenedFilesView displays the list of all opened files on your system. For each opened file, additional information is displayed: handle value, read/write/delete access, file position, the process that opened the file, and more... "

You can click the column header of open files to alpha sort all them - which should make it easier to identify files on the drive in question since they will be sorted by drive letter.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-problem-with-my-external-hard-disk.933803/
Relevancy 70.52%

Good day everyone.

I have 500gb Buffalo HD and the problem is that when I plug it in my laptop it makes a clicking noise then after a while the noise stop. And also it does not appear in Computer,it was only appearing in the control panel. I tried disk management and other software to retrieve and solve this but it doesnt work. Can I still recover my file without going to retrieval company? can I still save my hard disk and use it again? thanks

A:Buffalo external hard disk problem

Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like you are hosed. Suppose you could try the freezer trick, although I've never seen it work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/buffalo-external-hard-disk-problem.187309/
Relevancy 70.52%

I recently purchased Seagate External Hard disk and initially i disabled USB Devices to Disabled state while Booting.
Then what problem i am getting now is : Broadcom Ethernet v7.78 somthing comes in screen..again it boots..I just went to BIOS Settings and changed USB Devices Disabled while booting.
Then next next day i got my time changing frequyently.Daily my system time changes and while i start my system on next day again it reboots freequently.

Please provide me required steps to solve this problem...
Is this a problem in motherboard or any changes to be made in BIOS???

A:Booting Problem due to new external hard disk

Check to make sure your pc is set to boot from the internal hard drive and disable pxe boot option.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/booting-problem-due-to-new-external-hard-disk-610001.html
Relevancy 70.52%

when I connect my seagate expansion external hard disk 500gb having p/n:9sf2a2-500 in windows xp(sp2) system, Found new hardware wizard pops up and when I click next it says "Cannot install this hardware".
After which a message is shown in the taskbar saying "A problem occured during hardware installation". The hard disk did not come with any cd, also I have learnt that external hard disks doesnt require any type of software.The hard disk is not shown either in Mycomputer or device manager.I see the light blinking on the external hard disk but I dont feel any spinning of disks when I place my hand on the external hard disk.
So anyone here please suggest me what to do?

Relevancy 70.52%

Hi,
I have a seagate 2tb external hard disk. Recently it refused to respond and I fugured out that it was the power cord that was causing all the problems.so i bought a replacement-a chinese one. From the tech shop, I tested the ac adapter and it worked.but as soon as i brought it into my house, it didnt work. there was no sound and the fuse is fine.the ac adapter is 12v 3A.I have since bought a second one which had the same effect.I need some help here.what could the problem be?

Relevancy 70.52%

When i connect my hdd ,it sAYSpower DRAWING TOOMUCH and sometimes it doesn't support
when i connect other usb no problem is there. Help

A:Problem while connecting external hard disk

What type of external HDD are you trying to connect? Is it a 2.5" laptop style hard drive or a 3.5" desktop style hard drive? All 3.5" desktop hard drives will require an external power source to connect them via USB. Your computer seems to be a newer computer so power at the USB ports should not be a problem for a 2.5" laptop hard drive. You can try a power boosting Y-cable like this:
USB 2 0 A Female to 2 Dual USB Male Hub Power Adapter Y Splitter Cable Cord SGCC | eBay

That will split the power draw between two USB ports if you have two USB ports next to each other on the computer.

Even the Y-cable will not work for a 3.5" hard drive, though, it requires it's own real power supply.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/56792-problem-while-connecting-external-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi I have just connected a new external Hard Disk with my Laptop However it is not shown the computer When I checked over it in the Devices Manager I have found it listed in the list of Hard Disk Drivers When I click on the its properties I notice that the device is working well in the frame of the status of the device However I found out there is a question mark on this hard disk in the other devices Disk problem with A Hard new defining a external tree I have tried connecting it via USB USB but this makes no difference When I A problem with defining a new external Hard Disk immediately connected it I notice Windows notified that there is a new detected device But in eventually I didn't found it defined I have tried clicking a right- click on it then A problem with defining a new external Hard Disk I have chosen 'update the operating program' But this also didn't make any difference On top of that When I have opened a program which is specialist in the division of discs I found it shown However I didn't found all of its capacity shown It is TB GB however what is shown is GB If I split it with this program regardless of whether or not it is defined and will be shown in my computer will it be damaged Any comments would be quite highly appreciated If I split with this program regardless of whether or not it will be shown in my computer will it be damage Any comments would be quite highly appreciated

A:A problem with defining a new external Hard Disk

I have restarted my computer now and it became shown in my comupter. However, it still has a question mark on it in the other devices list in the devices manager.
However, I didn't also found its entire capacity shown. It is 1TB(1024GB); however, what is shown is 931.48GB

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/237789-problem-defining-new-external-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I m not sure if I should be posting this here or in the Operating System Forum please help I happen to use Seagate s FreeAgent GoFlex TB Harddrive NTFS format and am using it on a Windows Ultimate with Hard problem External with disk Unusual SP x The drive would usually show up under quot Devices with Removable Storage quot section rather than under quot Hard Disk Drives quot section in Windows Explorer It was working perfectly fine I had lent to Unusual problem with External Hard disk a friend of mine who wanted to take a back up of his stuff He is using Windows Pro with WMC x He then returned it to me I could see my files on his laptop When I reconnected the external hard disk to my system the drive s icon is visible in Windows Explorer but is now shown under quot Hard Disk Drives quot section Also I could see the drive listed in the Disk Management section of Computer Management in NTFS format The problem is that I can t see the files and folders in the Windows Explorer even when I trun on quot Show hidden files and folders quot option from Folder Options Also I did not get any messages to format the drive My files are present on the disk of this I am certain as I can see that a certain portion is shown a occupied in the Windows Explorer I have even tried using the TestDisk utility to analyse the status of the drive and to search for lost partitions but that to has failed as I can t see the files in Windows Explorer I have also tried using EaseUS Partition Recovery-Free edition but no luck One pecular thing that I noticed was that all my files were present in an unnamed folder on the external hard disk when I used the TestDisk utility to see a list of files When I connect my external hard disk to my friends laptop they are visible but are accessed by clicking a shortcut icon to the harddisk and not the usual way Nether of us has the required space about GB to recover the files present Kindly help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unusual-problem-with-external-hard-disk.1096457/
Relevancy 69.66%

hi all,

i would like to ask you a very basic question:

What is the difference between an external hard disk and an internal hard disk mounted on external enclosure?

Is using internal hard disk in external enclosure risky in terms of loosing the data?

Is using internal hard disk in external enclosure reliable to use?

kindly let me know as there is a vast difference in the price of these hard disks. The external hard disk is costing more and if i use internal hard disk in external enclosure price is very much reduced.

my only concern about using internal hard disk in external enclosure is the reliability.

thanks in advance,

regards,

Relevancy 69.66%

hi i just recently bought a new external hard disk storage and it cant seem to work there are drivers and ive installed all of them but still nothing the problem is that the new hard disk doesnt show up at the my computer its a usb external gb disk for laptops ive got another one which i had bought years ago and it works still fine i could locate the hard disk at the quot devices quot area but it says that the driver and everything is installed so basically the device exists just problem for notebook Solved: hard disk external that i cant see it which doesnt make sense i cant roll back driver or anything cos well there wasnt an earlier version of the driver physically the hard disk looks and well sounds normal as if its working when i plug it in my usb slot a bubble pops out at the bottom right and says Solved: external hard disk for notebook problem that quot this device can perform faster quot as if its being detected already please please please please help it will be very much appreciated nbsp

A:Solved: external hard disk for notebook problem

A lot of USB hard disks have two USB plugs, you have to plug both of them in at once for it to work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-disk-for-notebook-problem.358765/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi whenever i try to open my external hard disk n pendrive i get this error : Can not find script file "G:\autorun.vbs". But ONLY with my USB all my local drivers working perfect. I probably deleted the file with avg which detected it as a trojan. i need some help.... Any help appreciated!!!!

Relevancy 69.23%

Hi My WD disk WD problem Passport Passport GB has died on me The problem started without any warning When I plug it in the blue light comes on the disk whirls no funny noises WD Passport disk problem just the gentle rotation sound and I get it as an icon - remove hardware safely I cannot see it in my computer and if I go to Run -- gt diskmgmt msc I cannot see it there Since it just went out of warranty I pried it open and exchanged the controller with another one from a working passport drive - same result My conclusion is that the controller is WD Passport disk problem still good but the drive has gone bad I took WD Passport disk problem it to a general it helpdesk run by PCWorld who were unable to recover it Sadly the disk contains all my daughter s snaps and videos which are quite priceless Can someone help out Would I need to take it to a data recovery place - if so can someone recommend one Many thanks nbsp

Relevancy 67.94%

Hello,

I used lock folder xp to lock my external hard disk.
when opening my external hard disk, I enter the correct password but it doesn't open and windows displays the following message: this device is currently in use, Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again.

I tried to close all programs and the windows and the problem persist.

Any idea please?

Thank you!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/393258-lock-folder-xp-problem-when-opening-my-locked-external-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 67.94%

i wanna know which is the best hard drive . This one (Western Digital My Passport 1TB external HDD
USB3) or this one (Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1TB
external HDD USB3)
and what is the advantages and disadvantages of both h

A:which is best hard drive . My passport or my passport essential se ?

no answer till now?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/269806-best-hard-drive-my-passport-my-passport-essential-se.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Pentium R CPU P GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R HD Graphics Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - "my passport" on WD hard SmartWare software external drive MB D Total - MB Free - MB G WD SmartWare software on "my passport" external hard drive Total - MB Free - MB H Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard LENOVO MoutCook Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated and Enabled Am I embarrassed I have had external drive for backup and to have an image on it But I am so dense that I don t know how to restore I have the manual which tells me to go to the quot welcome quot screen but I can t open any screens of the software The software is WD SmartWare software on "my passport" external hard drive WD SmartWare These are the files in the folder Should I start all over by hitting the exe file Any ideas I m getting paranoid knowing that my external hard drive backup is useless to me because WD SmartWare software on "my passport" external hard drive I don t know how to restore thanks nbsp

A:WD SmartWare software on "my passport" external hard drive

heyya americamba, I'm going to close this one up, as you have another one in hardware at http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/1118901-my-passport-external-drive-wwd.html, and that one is in the correct forum.

thanks for understanding.

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wd-smartware-software-on-my-passport-external-hard-drive.1118902/
Relevancy 65.79%

What is the difference of 3.5 external hard disk (e.g. WD My Book) vs a 3.5 internal hard disk fixed into an enclosure to work like an external hard disk?

Are both good to be use as an external drive to store backup?

What 3.5 enclosure is good?

Thanks

A:3.5 external hard disk vs 3.5 internal hard disk with enclosure?

What do you mean fixed into an enclosure to work like an external drive? Are you referring to a My Book 3.0 VIA USB 3.0.... vs.... an internal SATA III SSD or HDD? Be a little more specific.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/379113-3-5-external-hard-disk-vs-3-5-internal-hard-disk-enclosure.html
Relevancy 65.79%

i have a 80gb internal hard disk since it was not sufficient i switched up to a 500gb hard disk so i want to know whether i can use my 80gb hard disk as an external hard disk
if so how please instruct me

A:how to change a internal hard disk to a external hard disk

Is the 80gb drive ide or sata?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-change-a-internal-hard-disk-to-a-external-hard-disk.1060457/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi to all,

I seem to noticed this log on the Event Viewer when ever I make use of my external Western Digital Passport drive:

"The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur."

I have read in some posts in this site that the problem may be remedied by turning off the disk caching feature of the drive?
What are your thoughts on this?

Many thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/exertnal-hard-drive-wd-passport-problem.906262/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello,

I have run into a problem that has been causing me quite a bit of headache as of late. A week ago, my WD Elements External Hard Disk is not displaying under hard disk drives, but does display under Devices and Printers. This is what it shows under computer management:

I have tried to initialize the disk using MBR and GPT options but failed receiving I/O Disk Error.

Please help, thank you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/401581-windows-7-disk-2-external-hard-disk-unknown-not-initialized.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Couple of hours ago my Windows 7 could not recognize my external USB hard disk (Maxtor Basic). It came up on Disk Management and Device Manager but not on My Computer. However I fixed it (by deleting its line off regedit in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices, plugging out the ext. HD and plugging back in). Windows automatically installed the drivers and I could access the drive.

But now Windows shows my Maxtor as a fixed disk drive, instead of "devices with removable storage". I still have the option to "Safely remove hardware and eject media" from taskbar, however I rather have Windows treating it as a Removable USB Storage so that the disk can sleep when not in use. I am pretty sure it has something to do with regedit, so any help would be appreciated.

A:USB external hard disk shows up as internal fixed disk

Welcome to Windows 7 Support Forums, Sactyr.
A word of caution! Its never a good idea to alter your register,
IMHO please review your device manager and check your devices for your disk drives, check for any warnings in the driver area.
I'm attaching my screenshot for comparison as I have a similar configuration.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/93610-usb-external-hard-disk-shows-up-internal-fixed-disk.html
Relevancy 63.64%

If I am saving a backup to internal hard disk vs USB 3.0/2.0 USB external hard disk

1. Backing up to an internal 3.5 hard disk vs backing up to an external 2.5 hard disk using USB 3.0, roughly how much extra time would the external backup need to complete the backup process?

2. Backing up to an internal 3.5 hard disk vs backing up to an external 2.5 hard disk using USB 2.0, roughly how much extra time would the external backup need to complete the backup process?

Thanks

A:Speed of saving to internal hard disk vs USB 3.0/2.0 external disk?

There's no definitive answer, it would all depend on which internal drives you had (SSD/HDD, SATA 6GB, SATA 3GB) and which external drives you had and their relative transfer speeds. It's all just guesswork without that info.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/379042-speed-saving-internal-hard-disk-vs-usb-3-0-2-0-external-disk.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi, My Seagate 2TB external hard disk is not getting detected by my PC, doesn't show in 'Safely remove hardware' option.

However, based on one old thread, I installed Partition Recovery Wizard and this is how the scan looks. Please help.

A:External Hard Disk not detected, visible in Disk Manager

Please find the screenshot of disk management

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/399017-external-hard-disk-not-detected-visible-disk-manager.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi, My Seagate 2TB external hard disk is not getting detected by my PC, doesn't show in 'Safely remove hardware' option.

However, based on one old thread, I installed Partition Recovery Wizard and this is how the scan looks. Please help.

A:External Hard Disk not detected, visible in Disk Manager

Please find the screenshot of disk management

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/399017-external-hard-disk-not-detected-visible-disk-manager.html
Relevancy 63.64%

I have a problem regarding my external Toshiba hard disk 500 GB where it can?t be detected in my computer and also disk management. I have formatted the external HD since I was asked to format it when an error popped up.
So I formatted it and after the formatting completed, I tried to connect the hard disk to my Windows Win 7 laptop. When I connect it to the laptop, it can?t be detected and yet the hard disk is blinking with its white light like it used to when it is connected to the laptop. I tried the disk management thingy, but it can?t detect my hard disk. I tried in other laptops but the result is same
What can I do to make it better? Please help me.

A:External hard disk not detected in My Computer and in Disk Management

First off, how old is your Toshiba external HDD? Also, when it starts to spin up, do you hear any sort of clicking or whining noise?

If you hear any noises that sound off, it's possible your external HDD is failing.

When you formatted it, what file system did you use to do so? Because sometimes even if Windows can't detect it, I have had success with booting with a Ubuntu Live CD, and then connecting the external HDD in order to format it that way. It all has to do with how Windows formats HDD's and how Ubuntu and other Linux systems do.

If you can I recommend downloading Ubuntu onto a CD and boot to it on one of your computers, in the Live CD mode, so it doesn't install anything. Once its loaded, plug in the Toshiba and try to format it as NTFS (this is important, because Ubuntu doesn't use it as a native file system, so you need to make sure that NTFS is selected on the format window, not EXT4 or the other types of Linux OS File Systems)

If it doesn't work, post back here, and I will see if I can help you some more. Also feel free to PM me if you have any other issues.

Regards,
-Alex

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-disk-not-detected-in-my-computer-and-in-disk-management.185432/
Relevancy 63.21%

I have an external hard disk which got corrupted. When i connect the disk through USB it shows as an unknown device in the disk management with no option to format.

In My computer the device is showing as H: drive but unable to access it. It asks if i want to format or not but when i go for format it does not do it. I want to erase the disk completely as of now. What should i do??

I tried to load it from linux but there it shows as Device Error. Disk Failure is Imminent.

Can something be done or is it a hardware failure.

A:External Hard disk showing as RAW in disk management

Sounds like the drive is failing or the circuitry in the enclosure is faulty.

I would first remove the drive from the enclosure and hook it up as a slave to a desktop PC. See if you can then access it. If you can, then post back for further instructions with the version of your OS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-disk-showing-as-raw-in-disk-management.1024550/
Relevancy 62.78%

hi there..

my name is Anis...i just bought external hard drive 500gb...but after I formatted it..it's just about 400++ gb can be used..i would like to know..how to use the extra/reserve space for my ext hard disk?by any means, i want to fully use my 500gb space for the external...please help me...thank you...

A:How to fully use the extra hard disk space for external hard drive?

It should have about 465GB, what are you seeing?

You will not have 500GB due to the conversion between binary and decimal for reporting sizes.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-fully-use-the-extra-hard-disk-space-for-external-hard-drive.887632/
Relevancy 62.78%

Gday I have Hard & Paragon Hard External Disk Suite Manager Drive USB emailed Paragon and am awaiting there reply but you guys seem to know a lot more and try and solve the problem Up to this point I have used either Acronis or Paragon for my backups I prefer Paragon over Acronis mainly because the restore by Paragon is far quicker I have both bootable CD's but in this instance I would like to concentrate on Paragon I downloaded Paragon's Advanced Recovery CD Build Put it in my rom and booted looked at a black screen for minutes Removed it and rebooted it got stuck at the loading of Vista then I got another black screen no hard drive movement Rebooted again this time with the regular Paragon bootable CD It booted into the recovery console Now this is where things go from bad to worse I tried finding my OS after a lengthy period I received an error disk i o fault no operating system found Now disk is my external hard drive where my backups are kept So I rebooted with the CD in went into the recovery console and clicked on quot safe restore quot after playing the waiting game I get a message disk i o fault Took out the Paragon CD put in the Vista one tried a repair but there was no OS to repair So I installed Vista and because I didn't want to have to reinstall all of my programs again yer lazy I know but that's what backup's are for Checked with the fresh install that my two external hard drives had there drivers and were present They were both accounted for in Vista So put back in the Paragon bootable CD got to the recovery console tried a quot normal restore quot and once again got disk i o fault So I tried a quot safe restore quot same error message Back tracked to see if my OS was still there and IT HAD GONE So again I installed Vista checked with the fresh install that my two external hard drives had there drivers and were present They were both accounted for in Vista Put back in the Paragon bootable CD got to the recovery console tried a quot safe restore quot and once again got disk i o fault Back tracked to see if my OS was still there and IT HAD GONE AGAIN So yet again I installed Vista this time I tried copying over the latest backup to a partition that the Paragon recovery console could read Tried again and yup you guessed it lost the OS again this time the error message was disk i o fault Once again I installed Vista this time however I installed the Paragon software initially it wouldn't find my backups but I was like a dog with a bone and eventually got Paragon Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite & USB External Hard Drive to locate them This time I tried a restore from the Windows environment crossed my fingers my eyes and my legs eventually Paragon said it needed to reboot to continue the operation I rebooted and the recovery looked promising but I could not sit there and watch it waiting for it to fail so I went and watched the TV for a couple of hours I came back to my PC and OMG shock horror EVERYTHING WAS BACK Now for the question I have used the recovery console before and it found my USB external hard drives why this time could it not Footnote I also tried my Acronis bootable CD it loaded then the screen went black I have since done a backup to my external just to make sure it was still viable it worked without a hitch I also did a backup on a partition that is on a different hard drive to my OS just in case I run into this problem again Whether or not it will be read is a whole different story

Relevancy 62.35%

Seriously need help External hard disk causes hard drive failures amp OS crashes The thread is rather long Only read what you think important Skip the rest We have a serious but mysterious problem We have spent already one week but drawing a blank Two hard drives drive External failures & need causes disk crashes hard OS hard help] [Seriously have been crashed and failed unreadable One [Seriously need help] External hard disk causes hard drive failures & OS crashes computer has hung a few times unexpectedly and had one weird restart no memory dump produced I suspect all the recent problems have to do with the new USB external hard disk Buffalo MiniStation Lite HD-PE [Seriously need help] External hard disk causes hard drive failures & OS crashes U Formatting USB external hard disk Originally I would like to [Seriously need help] External hard disk causes hard drive failures & OS crashes use the program given by Buffalo to format the external drive once but we failed We simply used Windows to reformat the drive into NTFS I did not use the TurboSpeed advertised by Buffalo or run its free program Case A Multi-transfer causes system crashes The first time we met the problem We were trying to help a friend to backup data on an old drive about a few years old We plugged in the Buffalo USB portable hard drive and transferred a whole lot of files to the drive Several cop cut-and-paste operations were active at that time The whole system completely froze up It doesn t respond at all Only a hard restart could help Restarted Tranferred again Several cop cut-and-paste operations were active Hard drive crashed - the beginning of the nightmare Windows restarted Chkdsk was running Saw many lines of messages with quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot Chkdsk run very long time perhaps a hour or so complaining that some couldn t be fixed some okay Initially I thought it was simply because it so happened that the hard drive failed in the middle of transfer But the same nightmare occurred when we tried to plug it into another computer Case B Open folder causes system crashes I plugged in the Buffalo USB external hard disk on a laptop computer I tried to check if transferred files were safe I have no ideas how to check but it looked okay Some files were transferred to and from the external hard drive I made sure only copy-paste operation was active this time Then computer hung for a while and displayed Blue Screen of Death I recorded the message on a piece of paper but it was lost later Restarted I believed chkdsk was automatically run and fixed some errors found not too sure about this I resumed the work I made sure only copy-paste operation was active this time The system hung this time when I double clicked on a folder to see what contents inside Another Blue Screen of Death popped up later KERNEL STACK INPAGE ERROR x xC E xC E x x C Info on this BSOF http support microsoft com default aspx scid kb en-us Q Computer restarted Chkdsk was automatically run Nightmare again quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot Chkdsk attempted to fix the problem but it complained quot not sufficient space quot Then I received STOP C a Unknown Hard Error Oh my gosh What s up I don t believe it so happened AGAIN the hard drive failed when some actions were performed between the hard drive and the USB external hard disk I started to feel something went very wrong Is it virus Case C Scanning for virus causes system crashes Searching on the net didn t find any case which was similar to mine I tried again on a new computer Fresh Windows copy New hard drive less than year old Only a handful of programs were installed I downloaded Avira and did on-demand scan for my internal hard drive first No virus was found Was I safe now I plugged in... Read more

A:[Seriously need help] External hard disk causes hard drive failures & OS crashes

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/seriously-need-help-external-hard-disk-causes-hard-drive-failures-os-crashes.840539/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi guys I will try to explain this as simple as i can So let's start my disk,hard Windows about Confused disk on problem hard installing I have laptop ASUS N SF and it is a year old so i have decided to format I have Confused about installing Windows on my hard disk,hard disk problem two separate hard disks that are the same brand SeaGate AS each gb capacity Before i decided to format one of my hard disks that is my partition Confused about installing Windows on my hard disk,hard disk problem D started to make strange noises and it was not recognized but i was using my laptop without problems because my windows was installed on my other hard disk that is my partition C So now my question is this After i formatted them both i have no clue which one is which they are like Disk Partition gb Disk Partition gb So how do i choose the one that is better and not having problems to pust my winodows on I know that i can buy new one and replace it with the one that is having problems but right now i have no money to do that I am student Thanks in advance

A:Confused about installing Windows on my hard disk,hard disk problem

I'm willing to bet that Disk 1 is the bad hard drive since the bad hard drive was the D: drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/292719-confused-about-installing-windows-my-hard-disk-hard-disk-problem.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I have WD external hard drive. computer reads the hard disk after taking more than usual time. But when i copy the matter of my hard disk and try to paste it on my computer....It dose not work. The copy window shows 0 % . Want to extract data. Please help

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/384979-wd-external-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Dear Specialists,
Could you please instruct me how to transfer live TV programs directly to my
external hard disk?
Thank you and with kind regards,
Beni Even

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/263432/external-hard-disk/
Relevancy 59.77%

Could anyone please help me to make ma own external hard disk without external power supply.

Because its difficult to bring the power adapter always with the drive

A:External Hard disk

sorry, but hard disks need some sort of power. they are mechanical and have motors.

maybe use a usb flash/thumb drive instead?

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/178103-external-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a Western Digital external hard disk on USB. The instructions say I should stop it when closing down pc but when I select it on remove hardware icon it just says 'this device cannot be stopped now, try later' even though I have no programs open that are using the disc. Will it cause damage if I leave it on and just close down. Have done this a couple of times but wonder if I will damage it.

Relevancy 59.77%

I have WD 320 Gig External.

Windows detect the drive and can be seen on my computer but their is no size on the drive.

Check properties no size.

I try to open but windows hangs.

What could be the problem of this?

The USB cable? or my drive is damage?

I also try insert to different computer and all the USB port front or back same result.

A:WD External Hard disk Help

Did you initialize the drive?

This may not be the right instructions for your drive:
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1018&p_

Because you did not offer more than it being a WD 320GB external.

WD FAQ:
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....p_new_search=1

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/122236-wd-external-hard-disk-help.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Im realy fed up .......
I have wd 500gb elements (external)...driver shows on device manager and even shows on disk management as disk 1 with a deffirent letter as F I changed it as it was G but no data and cant access and doesn't show on my computer it happened diuring transferring data from my computer to the external hard drive but a suddenly shut down due to high tempretur on wd windows diagnostic tool shows as failer, lights on its working and its fan ....but.....no data I tride many ways to fix by installing and uninstalling changed the cable and cleand registrey by ccleaner but......pls give any seliution not to lose data ....over 270gb data...............

A:wd external hard disk

Please post a screenshot of Disk Management with your Western Digital external HDD plugged in.

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

Before taking the screenshot, please click on Show/Hide Console Tree, and Show/Hide Action Pane to hide those so that you get a full view.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/296219-wd-external-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 59.77%

hi everyone i from mumbai. i have a 500 gb external hard disk and it fell from my hand . after which its not functioning but its in ok condition. as i connect it tells me to format it. does formatting delete all my stored information. is there anty way i can recover my files and then format it, (if formatting deletes all files)

Relevancy 59.77%

So, i tried to pen my external hard disk,
and this is what happened:
The USB Protection i use is USB Disk Security and i dont know if this options (in image) does something about it..
Thanks in advance

A:External Hard Disk Help

This most likely is due to USB Disk Security software, if you changed something recently within, I'd try to reverse it.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/15182-external-hard-disk-help.html
Relevancy 59.77%

hello,

This is dheeraj kulal. i have a problem with external hard drive.

I copied all the data from my pc to an external hard drive(FAT 32). Then i formatted the PC hard disk and created 5 partition with 50GB each. Installed windows xp SP2.
External hard disk is of 500GB. Had nearly 250GB of data in it before copying data from my PC hard drive. After copying data from PC hard drive only 30GB of free space left in external hard disk.
Now the actual problem is the external hard not showing any of the files that i copied on to it. and few of the files already in it are missing too. But when check the property of external hard disk it shows only 30GB is free that means remaining are the data in it.

please help me,, files are very very very important for me... wt to do

A:external hard disk

Open Windows Explorer and go to Tools > Folder Options > View tab. Under 'Hidden files and folders', click 'Show hidden files...' and click OK.

See if tha helps

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-disk.1007143/
Relevancy 59.77%

well, my external hard disk was working just fine then it started showing as "local disk E" and i couldn't open it. I searched online for a solution and did the "chkdsk" thing and it worked again. few hours later the problem game back.. this time what i did before didn't solve it. it only made the contents of the hard disk appear but i couldn't use it .. so i copied some of the small files i needed from my 300 gb of data on it. now it's back to the "local disk e" thing and i can't even use cmd while the hard is connected. is there a way to solve it or at least copy my files from it?
Edit: now i can't even use cmd or disk management or my computer when the disk is connected

A:how to fix my external hard disk

Back up your personal data while you canDownload CrystalDiskInfo.V6.2.0 and run to check if your HD is any good.Try to run: chkdsk X: /r /f ======> X is the external drive letter. Will take a while to completeIf happens again then replace your HD.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/53409-how-fix-my-external-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 59.77%

hey how are you guys doing? just have a quick question it the same as his problem and hope you guys can help me out. i got the found new hardware message but no appearance on my computer. i tried to do through disk and i still can't see it there either wha t do i do. i know wi have to format it an I know it will do it for me but, i dont see it in disk any suggestions?
i'll check in later on to see if u guys can help me
thanks alot

A:External Hard Disk

Even though it appears you're having the same problem, please start a new thread. It's very difficult to keep two problems straight and who's working on what in a single thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

Please post complete details on your environment and we'll be glad to help you out.

If it's just a formatting question, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management, and you can partition and format the drive there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-disk.462374/
Relevancy 59.77%

how to know when was my external hard disk was used or plugged to pc or laptop?
i mean putting monitoring on external hard disk.

for PC's there is a event viewer, what about external harddisk's?

A:how to know when was my external hard disk was used?

Hello and welcome to the sevens forum.

First I don't think you can tell when your external hard drive was used, unless you have something on your system that would tell you if it was used or messed with your kind a out of luck so to speak.

You can always set up a password on your external hard drive to lock people out.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/367527-how-know-when-my-external-hard-disk-used.html
Relevancy 59.77%

hello guys,

first of all im using win 8,1 64 bit .
its been some time that i cant install the windows updates.
when i hit install and it says that is downloading the updates it freezes.
so without the new updates i see that i cant safely remove my hard disk(external)
so im removing my external hard drive just like that
and today my 2tb seagate external became raw(one of the two partitions)
i really need your help here to restore the disk to its normal status and find a solution with win updates cause i dont want this to happen again.

wating asap for your answer
thanks in advance

A:raw external hard disk

Firstly, I would not have the external drive attached when doing updates. 

That being said I would download Testdisk for Windows and unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. Run Testdisk and do a QuickSearch. After a QuickSearch does it detect both partitions on the external drive? Highlight the RAW partition and press the "P" key. Do you see your files on the RAW partition? 

Windows  This is the file to download

If doing a QuickSearch does not detect both partitions then do a deeper Search. 

Do you have enough space on your internal drive to copy the files from the RAW partition?

TestDisk step by step

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/591658/raw-external-hard-disk/
Relevancy 58.91%

I have problem with my SATA disk. I used to connect it by USB to my hp530 (notebook) in Windows 7.
But now it needs formatting and type is not NTFS but RAW. And it has no size! I tried program TestDisk, but it writes: "the harddisk (750 GB / 698 GiB) seems too small! ((1500 GB / 1397 Gib). Check the harddisk size: HD jumpers settings, BIOS detection... and that cannot be recovered". Problem was caused probably by voltage in USB (no viruses, no new installs). I tried another computers.

This HDD is 750 GB, not 1500 (I donīt understand, why is there 1500). I donīt want help how to save data or how to format this disk. I need you help to get disk back useful and with no change in data. I hoped that testdisk will help me, but I donīt know what can I do with that "harddisk seems too small".

Can somebody help me? :-(

Dan

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-disk-raw-format.979441/
Relevancy 58.91%

Please help my segate external hard disk 500 gb not working all of the solutions are not working please any solution but not that solution of computer manage please help and replay fast

windows 7 (64)

A:Seagate external hard disk

Man... that sucks. If ALL solutions are not working you are screwed.

Please read the link in my signature and try again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-external-hard-disk.203299/
Relevancy 58.91%

I have a Seagate External Hard Disk connected to my Vista computer by USB I do not keep my Hard Disk switched on all the External recognised. not Hard Disk time because I only use it for extra storage I never usually shut down my Computer as I find sleep mode excellent My problem is that often when I switch off the HD and try to switch it on again at a later date the computer does not recognise it It does not register on Windows Explorer Switching the HD off and on does not cure it This does not happen every time but when it does the External Hard Disk not recognised. only way I can cure it is to do a restart which I find takes too long on Vista The restart solves the problem External Hard Disk not recognised. every time I there any cure for this problem Incidentally every time I switch off the HD I go through the Safely Remove Hardware routine And I have another Freecom HD which never gives me this problem although it is used very infrequently Also My USB devices work through a powered hub but by-passing the hub does not make a difference and I never have this difficulty with any of my other USB devices Allan nbsp

A:External Hard Disk not recognised.

I have not received any offers of help in response to this post. Are there no suggestions at all? Allan

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-disk-not-recognised.945824/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi Guys Would like to seek your assistance on this matter I tried opening video files in my Seagate hard disk but it seems that there are some issues Hard disk lags when clicking on it All files are in there but when I open the file it lacks Some files cannot be opened VLC says bad descriptors Tried looking for answers online it could be some bad sectors or bad descriptors Am Disk Hard External maybe corrupted? currently doing a CHKDSK Here is the current report Log Name Application Source Chkdsk Date AM Event ID Task Category None Level Information Keywords Classic User N A Computer AV Description Chkdsk was executed in spotfix mode on a External Hard Disk maybe corrupted? read-write volume Checking file system on I Volume label is FreeAgent GoFlex Drive Examining corruption records Record of x Bad clusters in file quot Documents and Settings lt x x d gt quot starting at file offset x Read failure with status xc c at offset x e d for x bytes Read failure with status xc c at offset x e d for External Hard Disk maybe corrupted? x bytes Read failure with status xc c at offset x e d for x bytes corruption found and fixed Record of x Bad clusters in file quot Documents and Settings lt x x d gt quot starting at file offset x Read failure with status xc c at offset x e da for x bytes Read failure with status xc c at offset x e da for x bytes Read failure with status xc c at offset x e da for x bytes corruption found and fixed Record of Bad subtree in index quot I quot of directory quot Documents and Settings lt x x d gt quot The multi-sector header signature for VCN x of index I in file x d is incorrect b e db c N lt AC The first index entry offset xd d fc for index I in file x d points beyond the length xfe of the index VCN is unknown corruption found and fixed Record of Index quot I quot of directory quot Documents and Settings lt x x d gt quot is mis-ordered unexpected corruption found corruption records processed in seconds Windows could not fix all issues with this drive Please run chkdsk f to find and fix all problems with this drive Event Xml lt Event xmlns quot http schemas microsoft com win events event quot gt lt System gt lt Provider Name quot Chkdsk quot gt lt EventID Qualifiers quot quot gt lt EventID gt lt Level gt lt Level gt lt Task gt lt Task gt lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt lt TimeCreated SystemTime quot - - T Z quot gt lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt lt Channel gt Application lt Channel gt lt Computer gt AV lt Computer gt lt Security gt lt System gt lt EventData gt lt Data gt Checking file system on I Volume label is FreeAgent GoFlex Drive Examining corruption records Record of x Bad clusters in file quot Documents and Settings amp lt x x d amp gt quot starting at file offset x Read failure with status xc c at offset x e d for x bytes Read failure with status xc c at offset x e d for x bytes Read failure with status xc c at offset x e d for x bytes corruption found and fixed Record of x Bad clusters in file quot Documents and Settings amp lt x x d amp gt quot starting at file offset x Read failure with status xc c at offset x e da for x bytes Read failure with status xc c at offset x e da for x bytes Read failure with status xc c at offset x e da for x bytes corruption found and fixed Record of Bad subtree in index quot I quot of directory quot Documents and Settings amp lt x x d amp gt quot The multi-sector header signature for VCN x of index I in file x d is incorrect b e db c N amp lt AC The first index entry offset xd d fc for index I in file x d points beyond the length xfe of the index VCN is unknown corruption found and fixed Record of Index quot I quot of directory quot Documents and Settings amp lt x x d amp gt quot is mis-ordered unexpected corruption found corruption records processed in seconds Windows could not fix all issues with this drive Please run chkdsk f to find and fix all problems with this drive lt Data gt lt EventData gt lt Event gt Is there anything I need to worry about as the f... Read more

A:External Hard Disk maybe corrupted?

Hard disks can go from unreliable to totally failed without any warning. I had a Seagate 3TB reporting problems one day, and before I could back the files off the drive, it totally failed.

So, once you start getting these failures, you should copy off the files and folders -- while you still can!

Unless you're willing to pay a HUGE sum to have the drive rebuilt by commercial data recovery services (which typically start at $1000 USD), then there is nothing you can do to salvage the drive.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/71592-external-hard-disk-maybe-corrupted.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I recently installed a program to allow my PC to read Mac formatted hard disks. However, it did not work and from then forward, my PC is unable to detect all other external hard disks, I've tried a few. The drives are not even showing on disk management. The lights on the hard disk do light up with I plug them in but nothing happens.

Is anyone able to solve this mystery for me. BTW this problem only occurred after I installed the above mentioned program.

A:Can't Detect External Hard Disk

Well, what's the program and have you tried removing it?
There are simple ways to format external HDDs so they can be used both on PC and Mac. It would be a good idea to format HDDs you know you'll use on both platforms this way. Instructions are usually included with the drive, at least both my LaCie and WD included them.
Hope this helps,
J

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/278687-cant-detect-external-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi everyone please help...
my Toshiba external hard disc also facing the same problem can not recognize, and once to plug in the message pomp out as below:-
"USB Device Not Recognized
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message"
Can someone help in kind please.. thanks all..

A:Toshiba external hard disk

Yeah Reine, my older Passport drive will do that too sometimes cause the data cable is a bit finicky. I'd just unplug the external and power it down. Wait a few, then plug it back up to USB and power it back on. If that dont work, throw in a computer reboot, before u start messing with driver uninstalls and such.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-external-hard-disk.194541/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hey!

I have win7 on my PC. I also have an external hard disk. I was wondering, can i install windows XP on my external hard disk ( which is partitioned) and expect to be able to use it, on whatever computer i plug it to?

Also, will this effect my computers speed? Since its installed on my external hard disk and not on the computers one?

A:Installing XP on an external hard disk?

Can it be done yes, will it work as you want it to, short answer no. Why? Because Windows XP will discover that new hardware has been installed and require you to re-activate it when you move it from machine to machine. Plus you will need to modify the way the machine boots so you can pick an OS or try to get the machine to boot USB first always. If boot USB first is on then when the drive is plugged in you will get Windows XP and when it is unplugged you get Windows 7. Another point; this would be considered illegal use of the OS by Microsoft.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/93955-installing-xp-external-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 58.91%

hello guys ,
i have a 1 tb external HD and it used to work perfectly until 5 days ago . the HD takes forever to load and if i didn't wait for it to fully load and tried to enter one of the files it tells me that windows explorer is not responding and everything disappears for like 20 seconds ( i can only see my wallpaper). the HD fell down from me but it wasn't a hard fall and the problems didn't start right after the fall .
so guys can anyone help ?
and sorry for the terrible english.

A:problems with my external hard disk

You might want to run a diagnostic check on your external hard drive to see if that fall damaged it. You could check on the manufacturer's website for a diagnostic tool or you could run SeaTools from Seagate.

SeaTools for Windows | Seagate

If any issues are discovered it may be time to save your data and replace the hard drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/199518-problems-my-external-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi,
I've been having a problem with my external hard disk not working on my laptop
It works on my desktop, which has XP. It doesn't work on my laptop,which has windows 7. Does anyone know how to fix this?

A:my external hard disk works on xp but not 7

Hi Shelbourne104. The hard drive is recognized on the virtual xp? If so, are any usb devices recognized on 7?

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/112621-my-external-hard-disk-works-xp-but-not-7-a.html
Relevancy 58.91%

i've bought a external harddisk 500GB (2.5 inch), when i want to copy the movie (blueray) from my laptop to external hd, it prompted up a msg said that "no enough space", asked me to do disk clean up. Beside i've noticed that while copying or moving file that more than 4GB, the problem mentioned above will occur. I don't why and pls tell me whether is harddisk problem or there's other issues.

A:External hard disk issue

Please provide the following information:

Operating system that you are running;
Brand and model of the hard drive.

Please do the following: if you go in "My Computer" with external HDD connected, right click on the icon of external HDD and click properties, you should see the type of the file system. If it reads FAT32, it means that file system cannon handle files bigger than 4 GB.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-disk-issue.123989/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi, i have an external disk on which i accidently deleted all the data so i want any help from any person who can know the best way to get all lost data back on my disk i've tried with data doctor software it didn't work out so please help me by sending the answer of how i could possibly resolve that problem
thanks

A:External hard disk's backup

We use Recuva,for routine stuff, which is free with a gurgle search.
We have had terrific luck with this programs found in the Data Recovery section of www.majorgeeks.com:

Easus (free)
Avira Unerase (free)
Active File Recovery (paid)
Active Undelete (paid)
BitMart Restorer 2000 (paid)
File Recovery Angel (paid)
File Scavenger (paid)
Get Back Data NTFS (expensive and good)
iRecover (safe)
NTFS Undelete (free)
Recuva (free)
Undelete (paid)
Undelete Plus (paid)

It is best to pick one, and become good at it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-disks-backup.110323/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello I brought a new TB seagate free-agent external hard drive I connected it to be would not My recognized hard external disk my laptop which runs windows VISTA when i connected it for the first time there was no problem in my laptop recognizing it or its wotever installation if you call it so so I transfered all my data as a back from my laptop aprx abt gb to the new hard drive and even My external hard disk would not be recognized double checked it on the new hard drive and everything was fine later i disconnected the hard drive via the SAFELY remobe hardware Later after abt half an hour I tried connecting back the hard drive to my same laptop but it would not just show up i tried everything liek trying to restart my system connecting and disconnecting my external hard drive changing the connecting USB cable tried on different systems vista XP but the it would just not work but the light on the hard drive does glow up I ve noticed that for teh first few mintues say - mins there is some kind of slight sound from the hard drive Now all the data is on this hard drive and i am lost I cannot affrord a data recovery options as its very expensive so i was just praying and hoping that someone could please help me out of this mess Can someone out there please help me Regards Ravi nbsp

A:My external hard disk would not be recognized

My external is not always recognized. What I do and it seems to work is to power it up for a min. or two before plugging it into a usb port.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-external-hard-disk-would-not-be-recognized.776229/
Relevancy 58.91%

What is the safest way to protect data on an external hard drive, when using the hard drive on computers other than your own.

Is there a good recommended software I can use to encrypt my hard drive and have it available to be decrypted on another computer and to keep all the encryption software on the same drive?

I have heard of some simple security programs that come with some hard drives, but I'm looking for an open source or similar solution that is well documented in terms of security.

I would like to take a 1 terabyte hard drive around to different places and I want to protect my information.

My home computer is Windows 7 Professional and I will use windows computers elsewhere also. What kind of portable software is available?

Or ... did I answer my question. Is the best bet, to simply encrypt files with something like pgp?

A:Safe use of external hard disk

Welcome
I am not one of the security people, but I have learned a trick and use it myself. If possible turn off the Hard Drive at night. Those creeps out there writing, virus and trying to steal information often work at night, because you are probably asleep and will not notice unusual activity on your computer. In addition if you turn off the hard drive at night, and when not in use, less chance that a virus caught will spread to the hard drive, when you initially catch it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/323438-safe-use-external-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 58.91%

i have a 500gb Freecom external hard drive, i use it for both storing files and multimedia playback via my xbox 360, it was setup as a Fat32 format, but i needed to store files larger than 4gb on it so i took everything off reformatted it to NTFS and put the large files on there, now i found out the xbox 360 wont read this format, so im guessing the answer is to partition it? one side being NTFS other Fat32? is that possible and also do i have to remove all of my files back across again took 4 hours last time. it has 200gb left.
what program to use as well, like a free one if possible!

A:External Hard Disk Partition

I can only help you out with the file copy program,which is
http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php
I don't have an answer to the rest of your questions,sorry!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-disk-partition.771015/
Relevancy 58.91%

I have just bought a b50-10 and installes windows 7 ultimate.  Internet explorer, device manager and administative tools do not see my 500GB external hdd connected through the usb 3.0 port.  It cannot be the disk drive as my b590 accesses the unit with no trouble.  I can also access the drive when connected via a usb 2 port on my desktop PC. Can anyone help with this problem? Mod's Edit: Corrected model number in Subject line.    

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/B50-10-USB-3-0-connected-external-hard-disk-not-detected/td-p/3456944
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi, I realized that my usb 3.0 external WD hard drive gets disconnected upon an attempt to transfer files into or out of it. Tried connecting a usb 2.0 external WD hard drive and it worked with no issue. Worst off, the 3.0 drive was unable to be detected by the computer although it is rotating with its light indicator ON. I have tried various power management adjustment based on a google search. But the problem still persists. Any advise? Thanks.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P50-Win-10-USB-3-0-external-hard-disk-not-detected/td-p/3323788
Relevancy 58.91%

hi guys,

I have been using this WD external hard disc from last one year. all of a sudden its not getting recognised in my computer. below are some details...

- I am using windows XP.
- tried restarting the laptop, no luck.
- change the USB cable that woks with another external HD.
- It is identified at the USB icon on the desktop as USB Mass storage device, but my computer will not recognise.
- In th disc management its not getting recognised.
- my laptop is recognising different hard disc drive and able to see the contents in it.

A:My external hard disk is not getting recognized

It's possible that the disk has gone bad or the controller inside the external enclosure has gone bad. One option would be to remove the drive from the external case and either install it in the PC or put it into another external enclosure and see if it works.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-external-hard-disk-is-not-getting-recognized.159546/
Relevancy 58.91%

Laptop with XP recognize this disk. This WIN 7 recognize another external hard drive. What to do?​

Relevancy 58.91%

Hello. I have a Seagate GoFlex 1TB External Hard Disk. I had been using it for quite sometime without any problems. Now it doesn't get detected in "My Computer" window. I checked in Computer Management and the drive is detected in "Device Manager". However, in "Disk Management", it shows as Unallocated. I am extremely perplexed as this drive had a lot important softwares and books and I don't want to format it to make the hard disk re-detectable. Is there any way to restore it to its previous state without formatting?

Any help will be appreciated.

A:External Hard Disk Not Detecting

First thing that comes to mind is to shut down the computer then unplug the power for about ten second then plug back in and restart. If that doesn't work and you have another computer or laptop that you can use then test it on those.

A last resort would be to take the HDD out of its holder and plug it directly into the computer using any extra internal plugins. If you do not have any extra ones then unplug the DVD/CD drive and use those. This will give you an idea if there is any thing wrong with the HDD. . .Good luck.

BTW, "Welcome to the Seven Forums." . . .

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/271415-external-hard-disk-not-detecting.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello. There is my problem:
I get BSOD while uploading data to my external Hard disk. In the begining there were no BSOD's but after a while it began.. Firstly while trying to upload large data AND read from it at the same time. And now it get's EVERY time i try to upload (not read) ANY data to it. I tried fixing errors and bad sectors, didn't work.

Dell Inspiron 1520

Some stuff: OS - Windows 7 Professional;
x86;
Originally was no OS installed;
Legal full retail version;
Hardware is like 2 years old [1 year ago internal hard disk, keyboard, touchpad were changed do to an accident];
Age of instalation.. Like 7-8 month;
Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 2100MHz
Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 256mb

Something about my external Hard Disk:
LaCie 1 TB
More info: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=11016

A:BSOD while using external Hard Disk

Trying to upload..

Can't upload second file, so there's the link:

http://uosis.mif.vu.lt/~keko8143/UPL...7_jcgriff2.rar

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/bsod-while-using-external-hard-disk-477297.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi Guys It seems like I get a new virus every day Anyways when I double-click on my hard disk it says Virus PC. Hard Disk External & my on Now the following O Access is Denied So I right-click right And it gives me quot If freedom is outlawed only outlaws will have freedom quot I scanned it with Virus on External Hard Disk & Now my PC. Norton and nothing came up And it s the latest version Anyways I m pretty sure that my PC is infected so here s my HJT Log with the HD plugged in Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUSchedulerSvc exe C Program Files Grisoft AVG Anti-Spyware guard exe C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software bin btwdins exe C PROGRA NETSUP client exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C Program Files Symantec Ghost bin dbserv exe C Program Files Symantec Ghost bin rteng exe C Program Files Norton Ghost Agent VProSvc exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe c program files lenovo system update suservice exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Common Files Lenovo tvt reg monitor svc exe C Program Files Lenovo Rescue and Recovery rrservice exe C Program Files Common Files Lenovo Scheduler tvtsched exe C Program Files Common Files Lenovo Logger logmon exe C Program Files Lenovo Rescue and Recovery ADM IUService exe C Program Files Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor WLService exe C Program Files Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor WUSB GSv exe C Program Files Symantec Ghost ngserver exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C WINDOWS system ICO EXE C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C WINDOWS system FSRremoS EXE C WINDOWS system rundll exe C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe C WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXE C Program Files Norton Ghost Agent VProTray exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Program Files Windows Media Player WMPNSCFG exe C Program Files Stardock ObjectDock ObjectDock exe C WINDOWS system Pelmiced exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Documents and Settings IBM USER Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - URLSearchHook ICQ Toolbar - F B - D - fe - A -BBB - C PROGRA ICQTOO toolbaru dll O - BHO XTTBPos - FD D- A - e - D-DC B D - C PROGRA ICQTOO toolbaru dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO DriveLetterAccess - CA D E- - CF- E - - C WINDOWS System DLA DLASHX W DLL O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Alcohol Toolbar Helper - A A -BFD - FE-BBDF-BFB CF E - C Program Files Alcohol Toolbar v Alcohol Toolbar dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - AF DE - D - -B FA-CE B AD D - C ... Read more