Windows Support Forum

I don't see a Policies tab in hardware properties for any drives

Q: I don't see a Policies tab in hardware properties for any drives

We recently got a new Dell desktop with Windows 7 and I discovered today there's no Policies tab in the hardware properties dialog for any of the drives, local or removable. In XP and Vista the path is, Right-click a drive>Properties>Hardware>Properties>Policies. Should it be there or does 7 have a different way of handling it? I'm logged in as administrator and have ownership of one of the removable drives I've been working on. Thanks.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: I don't see a Policies tab in hardware properties for any drives

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: I don't see a Policies tab in hardware properties for any drives

I don't see that tab in Windows 8 either, if that helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/326144-i-dont-see-policies-tab-hardware-properties-any-drives.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi,

From yesterday I am facing a strange problem : I am getting a error whenever taking "Properties" of any drive. Right Click to any drive -> properties.

It's showing "The properties for this item are not available".

Please advise.

Regards,
SB

A:Error getting properties of drives

Did you do anything significant just before this happened (downloaded Win Updates, updated drivers, etc)?
Is your system running normally otherwise?
Have you tried running a full malware scan just to make sure you are clean?

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/31372-error-getting-properties-drives.html
Relevancy 54.18%

We haven't loaded anything, it just appeared: PCI bus 26, device 4, function 0There are two of them (both the same) under Other devices in the control panel. Computer wants to find and download drivers for them. Is this potentially harmful? Could it be spyware/malware? We have young children that like to play games on the computer.

A:computer has new hardware, all properties are unknown

Have you changed some hardware of the computer yourself, or is it only shown in the device manager out of the blue?

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-vista/computer-has-new-hardware-all-properties-are-unknown/13504.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I have aquired a HP Laptop that the Ethernet appears to be defective. It shows up as This Device Cannot Start (Code 10). I did a complete reinstall because it was using Windows 7 (was purchased by the owner) and I figured it was a driver issue. The original (and now current) OS is Windows Vista and the same thing shows.

I was looking in the properties of the Ethernet card for the vendor ID to make sure I got the correct driver (website has different make drivers) and saw there was a listing that says Problem Code with a value of 000000A -- I was wondering if this is the same like a STOP code or if there is a website with these codes? I have a screenshot of an example.

I'm pretty sure the Ethernet card is toast, I just wanted to make sure.

A:Error code listed in hardware properties

pretty sure that the problem code 00000016 represents some driver issue, but that's going of a total of three instances, so consider that......

starting to agree that the card is cooked, however.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-code-listed-in-hardware-properties.1108124/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hiya...

I have two hard drives C, and D. When I open either of these drives right click on a folder and select properties nothing happens at all. When I go to properties of the C or D drives themself, nothing happen.

When I go to the properties of a network computer, any file with an extension, shortcuts etc.. the properties come up.

Whats going on?

Thanks in advance

-Saber-

Relevancy 52.46%

When I try to open the 'Sharing...' or 'Properties' by right clicking on files or drives, nothing opens. So I can't get in to set sharing options or look at the properties for anything. Any ideas why not? Thanks

-Jebus

A:Can't open 'sharing' or 'properties' options for files/drives

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-open-sharing-or-properties-options-for-files-drives.241018/
Relevancy 52.46%

I'm using Windows XP with a Western Digital gig hardrive Mb of RAM a LG x cd-rom a LG x cd-rw burner and a floppy drive all on a P VXASD mainboard with a ghz Intel Pentium processor This is my problem and it's quite a strange one The night before right-clicking drives Computer. My Error from or accessing properties, last I bought Unreal Tournament Error accessing properties, or right-clicking drives from My Computer. k for my computer and I was reading the requirments Needed gigs of free space on the hdd I had a gigs so I didn't think it was a problem But to be extra sure I wanted to check the pie chart for space on my drive When I right-clicked then went to properties to the hdd from My Computers I saw the chart but then the error report thing came up saying iexplore had a error and needed to send a report to Microsoft I tried again and this time My Computer stopped responding This also happens if I try to right-click CD-rom drives and the floppy drive Can anyone help me

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/error-accessing-properties-or-right-clicking-drives-from-my-computer-12849.html
Relevancy 52.46%

CD amp DVD drives don t have recording tabs Help OK here s what is going XP, CD's drives tabs can't 'Properties' lost anymore! DVD & burn in CD on Several weeks ago don t remember exactly when mid or late January I was fooling around amp installed some programs so I could convert songs from my phone to a format my computer could read Didn t work I uninstalled it Then a bit later I downloaded a program to ID music by playing it over speaker into the microphone to id a song Uninstalled it too I know one of these programs again don t remember told me to change my default record media from the drive to I think a virtual CD & DVD drives lost 'Properties' tabs in XP, can't burn CD's anymore! drive Anyway I think this is what has caused my problem which is I can no longer get CD-R s to burn I have a Dell DImension with Windows XP and when I try to use Media Player to burn songs CD & DVD drives lost 'Properties' tabs in XP, can't burn CD's anymore! to a CD it looks as if it is going thru the process but doesn t do it XP and media player recognize the drives and I can play CD s or DVD s just can t get the computer to remember that yes these drives are capable of recording Also when I put a blank CD-R into either drive they show under properties to be full and have CD & DVD drives lost 'Properties' tabs in XP, can't burn CD's anymore! no space left on them even though they are new When I go to properties on both drives there is no recording tab so I cannot enable recording I have Googled around and here is what I have tried to do to fix it I used the Microsoft site s suggestion to edit the registry and change the drive values from to or No help I made sure the IMAPI value in Admin Services was on automatic and I force started it No help I went back to the registry and deleted the high filters and low filters in the registry file related to the drives No help I uninstalled the drives in device manager logged off and logged on to reinstall but they already had No help I uninstalled the drives and immediately went to new hardware wizard It found them and installed them No help I reinstalled Nero my burning software No help I went back to Microsoft s site and used the automatic Fix It wizard but it said both drives were not capable of recording bogus since I ve burned I don t know how many CD s since I got this computer in mid I probably forgot some stuff since I have been at this all afternoon and evening but I m really frustrated Both drives were working great forever so I guess when I installed those programs I mentioned earlier it jacked up something I don t think I ve tried to burn any CD s since I got rid of both of those programs up until today when I discovered the problem Thing is I CAN T remember which program had me change the record or burn to feature I think it changed it from the E and D drive to something else but don t remember where or how Yeah I know it was stupid to not write it down and yeah I regret screwing with either program But I d really like some help here if anyone can I appreciate it nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-dvd-drives-lost-properties-tabs-in-xp-cant-burn-cds-anymore.144176/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello all,

I am attempting to swap out a cd-rom from my d: drive and replace it with a combo dvd-rw/cd/rw - The cd-rom is currently in the secondary master position which is where I want the new hardward to end up. What all do I have to disable and change over in windows 98SE to accomplish this? Also, on the back of the dvd-rw there is an audio chord slot, a master/slave cable slot, and the power cable slot, but also two small slots (one 4 pronged, and one two pronged for chord/cable attachments. Can anybody tell me what the other two are for? Thank you very much!

All the Best,

curiousgeri

A:Change drives and hardware to dvd-rw

Its pretty easy to change and you dont have to do anything within windows for it to work.
The link will show you how
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6603_7-5118840-1.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-drives-and-hardware-to-dvd-rw.470405/
Relevancy 48.16%

Greetings I m new to this forum so hello to all Here is my problem For a few days now my computer has had an annoying and persistent problem whenever I m accessing a CD especially when burning one the sound in my media player Winamp slows down becomes horribly distorted and full of clicks which makes it impossible to listen Interrupts / Drives CD Hardware to music Everything comes back to normal when the burning process is over I ve tried reinstalling my soundcard drivers and that didn t change anything this is a Soundmax system integrated into my P P Asus motherboard CD Drives / Hardware Interrupts I ran Process Explorer when the problem was occurring and I noticed that a quot Hardware Interrupts quot item made the CD Drives / Hardware Interrupts cpu rise so I figure this is where the problem comes from Does anyone have any idea of what s going on CD Drives / Hardware Interrupts Is this a hardware issue My system runs XP SP Pentium Ghz Mb Ram Any input will be greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-drives-hardware-interrupts.606722/
Relevancy 48.16%

hello
i have two hard drives in my computer (a 400 gig and an 80 gig) i meant to format the 80 gig and i accidently wiped the 400. now i cant seem to access the 80. but in the setup menu it says its there but it still cant find it can you help me please.

A:hardware- hard drives

Your OS and system files are all in the 400 gig hard disk? the 80gig hard disk can't boot without OS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hardware-hard-drives.990554/
Relevancy 47.3%

My desktop PC died after an accident a couple of months ago and I have very nearly finished building a new one, however, I want to retrieve what data I can off the 4 hard drives.

I had a dual boot setup with XP and 7 Pro 64 bit running and wanted to know whether I would be able to get them running in an entirely new PC at least long enough that I can remove anything of importance.

Or if anyone know a way to access data from user accounts on them without running both the versions of Windows installed on them that would also do.

A:Updated all hardware apart from hard drives

What I normally do is I will pull the hard drives out, and my primary windows hard drive(the one i do everything on) will be set as boot in the BIOS, and windows should read the rest of the harddrives as regular space and you should still have access to all of your files just by going to My computer.

Hope this helps.

-Gamer

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/330024-updated-all-hardware-apart-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 47.3%

I would like to have XP on two different drives. I want to build a new drive with my second drive on my computer. I don't know if I have to change the connection to my second drive on the mother board or can I change the boot drive on setup? Can I use 2 drives and boot off of either when ever I want. I have an HP computer with dual AMD processor with 4 Meg of memory and 2 500 gig drives. Unfortunalty I have an OEM XP so it isn't as easy to start a new drive I would guess Thanks For your help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hardware-dual-boot-with-two-drives.799212/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hey people I just reinstalled vista and the only difference to my machine is a 8600GTS graphics card (used to be a 7800GT) but this time around for some unknown reason I can see all my drives in the safetely remove hardware list (I dont want them in there).

They were not showing before (previous installs) and I also notice that the windows update has a history that is telling me that the nvidia raid updates have failed and if I try them again it fails repeatedly.

So how do I go about making sure my drivers are all correct and removing the raid config and my other drives from the above mentioned list (picture attached below) ? ? ?

Cheers
Anthony

A:Drives showing in Safetly Remove Hardware

Here is the repeated fail update attempts (attachment below)

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/81290-drives-showing-safetly-remove-hardware.html
Relevancy 46.87%

a puzzler for me, I have 3 hard drives all ide and suddenly on each boot the hardware wizard keeps asking me for a driver for each of them, this is XPPro sp2. The drives are working fine and show as working properly, this just started out of the blue & I canot think of anything I might of changed.
appreciate any suggestions
thank you

A:Hardware wizard keeps asking to install Hard Drives

Welcome to TSG....

Try downloading the hard drive diagnostics from the manufacturers web sites for the hard drives. Run each one you might have one or more weak or ready to go south hard drive(s).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hardware-wizard-keeps-asking-to-install-hard-drives.540088/
Relevancy 46.87%

hello how r u guys mmm thnx for such a forum and hope u can help my problem started since weeks when i was Hardware) my cannot hard from (moved enter drives copying a file cannot enter my hard drives (moved from Hardware) from the university and came back home and suddenly it was trasferred to the pc at first my antivirus saw it bas he couldnt heal it AVG later on i couldnt enter my harddrives so i downloaded many spywares and removed most of the viruses when i click on any drive C D F it opens the quot open with quot hope u can help thnx alot Deckard's System Scanner v Run by Chad amp Vicenzo on - - Computer is in Normal Mode -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- System Restore -------------------------------------------------------------- Successfully created a Deckard's System Scanner Restore Point -- Last Restore Point s -- - - UTC - RP - Deckard's System Scanner Restore Point - - UTC - RP - Restore Operation - - UTC - RP - Restore Operation - - UTC - RP - Restore Operation - - UTC - RP - Restore Operation -- First Restore Point -- - - UTC - RP - System Checkpoint Backed up registry hives Performed disk cleanup Total Physical Memory MiB MiB recommended -- HijackThis run as Chad amp Vicenzo exe -------------------------------------- Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS mHotkey exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgcc exe C WINDOWS Samsung PanelMgr ssmmgr exe C WINDOWS system devldr exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Bandwidth Monitor Pro Bandwidth Monitor Pro exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgamsvr exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgupsvc exe C WINDOWS system lvhidsvc exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files MSN Messenger usnsvc exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Documents and Settings Chad amp Vicenzo Desktop dss exe C PROGRA HIJACK Chad amp Vicenzo exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer proxy cyberia net lb O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Skype add-on mastermind - BF B-C D - d - A -A F BA C - C Program Files Skype Toolbars Internet Explorer SkypeIEPlugin dll O - BHO flashget urlcatch - F -AA - B - F D- A B E EF - C Program Files FlashGet jccatch dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Windows Live Toolbar Helper - BDBD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar msntb dll O - BHO QUICKfind BHO Object - C DF A- E - E - AB -D F - C PROGRA TEXTware QUICKF PlugIns IEHelp dll O - BHO FlashGet GetFlash Class - F E- EF- C- - BA DBA - C Program Files FlashGet getflash dll O - Toolbar Windows Live Toolbar - BDAD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar msntb dll O - HKLM Run PHIME ASync C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE SYNC O - HKLM Run PHIME A C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE IMEName O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run NvMediaCenter RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvMcTray dll NvTaskbarInit O - HKLM Run CHotKey mHotkey exe O - HKLM Run AVG CC C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgcc exe STARTUP O - HKLM Run Samsung PanelMgr C WINDOWS Samsung PanelMgr ssmmgr exe autorun O - HKCU Run CTFMON EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Run Bandwidth Monitor Pro quot C Program Files Bandwidth Monitor Pro Bandwidth Monitor Pro exe quo... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/cannot-enter-my-hard-drives-moved-from-hardware-214581.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi guys,

After a fresh format of windows XP (with SP2) i noticed this and it concerns me...

How on earth is it safe for me to remove the hard-drive my OS is installed on alone the rest of them??

Also, whenever i right-click on a folder's properties for some reason all the folders on all the drives have "write protection" enabled, even if i disable it, once i click on "OK" and then go back into the folders properties write protection is enabled again....
Any help would be great, cheers guys!

A:SATA drives appearing in Safely Remove Hardware tab?

The "Safely remove" came in with one of the M/S updates . . nothing to worry about, and nothing you can do about it either.

No clue about the write protection . . can you access files on the drives?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-drives-appearing-in-safely-remove-hardware-tab.551508/
Relevancy 46.44%

I have two Dell Optiplex computers:
GX260 1.8 Ghz, 512 MB ram, XP Pro, 2nd large HD, video and TV card and Wifi.
GX280 2.8 Ghx, 1024 MB ram, XP Pro and pretty stock.....

I want to take the two hard drives (one boot one 2nd), video, TV and WiFi cards from the GX260 and swap it into the faster GX280 machine. Both these machines have XP product codes on the case from Dell and both are up and running.

CAN I DO THIS, with out grief. I know I can strip the GX260 and remove the hardware (except the boot drive), re-install them all in the other machine, then load programs and drivers..... Yuck!

If you think it's a bad idea tell me if you have a game plan for doing the swap in an orderly way.

Relevancy 46.44%

Had system problems that appear to be a virus spyware of in Drives show Safely Hard Hardware. Remove some type that even ZoneAlarm and Spy Sweeper could not detect Tried to diagnose for all hardware problems to no avail So I did a clean re-install of Windows XP Pro SP with a format of the Primary partition Hard Drives show in Safely Remove Hardware. that had the old OS on it Hard Drives show in Safely Remove Hardware. Everything went as expected and I ve been running for hours now with no problems except that when I right-click the Safely Remove Hardware task icon it shows all of my hard drives in addition to the expected USB card reader drives I ve never seen this before My computer builder says it s ok just not to try to remove the hard drives DUH But I think he does not know what he s talking about and is just getting me off his back quickly Can anybody tell me if this is a problem and if so how I might correct it Thanks CC nbsp

Relevancy 46.44%

Currently only my SSD is inside, but I will put the HDD too, and when I do the 'Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media' thing in the dock also shows the HDD. Why does it do that? can I make it show me only the external stuff (such as a USB)?

I already accidentaly clicked on my HDD when it was inside, but luckily it didnt do anything and just showed a message that it cannot eject it because it because it is in use.
But still, I wish not to see those.

Thanks in advance for replies

A:Why does 'Safely Remove Hardware' show my internal drives?

Wow, never seen that before, mine only shows either USB's or external drives.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/316627-why-does-safely-remove-hardware-show-my-internal-drives.html
Relevancy 46.44%

There was a registry fix for this problem as here:

How can I remove the option to eject SATA drives from the Windows 7 tray icon? - Super User

In Windows 8, though, the registry is different, as there is no \msahci under \services as here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci

Can I have advice on how to do this, please?

A:Internal sata drives in safely remove hardware

Have you tried looking in your BIOS? Many bioses have an option to mark SATA drives as "Hot Swappable". Make sure it's disabled, and you won't have the option.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/18322-internal-sata-drives-safely-remove-hardware.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I was running Hardware drives disables permanently Vista Safely Remove Vista Home Premium on my desktop computer I have since upgraded to Vista Ultimate but the problem continues When I used the Safely Remove Hardware program before removing my SD card it would work fine When I would reinsert the SD card another time the drive would recognize fine and I would quot take care of business quot then use Safely Remove Hardware to stop it again Several months later however the computer stopped allowing the SD card to be recognized after using the Safely Remove Hardware option at a prior session If I do a reboot the SD card slot works fine again For Vista Safely Remove Hardware permanently disables drives example Plug in the SD card and the little green light comes on and the plug and play option box pops up and asks me how I want to use the card I use the card and then use the Safely Remove Hardware option to stop it Next day I plug in the SD card again I leave my computer on all the time but now all that happens is one Vista Safely Remove Hardware permanently disables drives of two things the little green light comes on but no plug and play box appears and the drive Vista Safely Remove Hardware permanently disables drives is NOT visable in My Computer OR the little green light doesn t even come on at all and then of course it still is NOT visable in My Computer I reboot the computer and card reader drive works again and I use it and stop it normally with Safely Remove Hardware option only to have the drive not be recognized the next time I try and use it I took it in to Best Buy to have it fixed and the Geek Squad guys are totally worthless The first guy told me the drive was bad and it would need to be sent off to be replaced so I came home to back up my computer and remove financials When I took it back in the second Geek guy said they could fix it there I specifically spelled out to him how to recreate the problem Then the third Geek guy called me to tell me they could not find a problem with it I specifically asked at least times did they try to recreate the problem by using the Safely Remove Hardware option and was reassured each time they did and the drive still worked fine I drove all the way to BB to pick it up and brought my SD card with me And I could recreate the problem immediately and consistantly obviously the previous guy had lied to me Now the fourth Geek guy claimed it to be a driver problem that is not covered by warranty He even looked it up on their web site to tell me this I left the computer there to be fixed Tonight yet another Geek guy called me to tell me that he could not recreate the problem and asked permission to REFORMAT my hard drive to try and solve my on again off again problem I told him absolutely NOT That is the lazy way out and that they needed to find the cause of the problem and fix it Then I asked him if he had tried the Safely Remove Hardware option to recreate the problem as I had harped about from the very beginning and not he had not no one passed on that issue to him He said he would try it and call me back When he called back he now says it is not a problem as that is what Safely Remove Hardware is supposed to do totally stop the drive and the only way to get it back is to reboot AND THAT IS NORMAL I do not trust anything out of their mouth bad hardware bad drivers that is the way it is supposed to work and the last story from the guy that wanted to reformat my harddrive so he wouldn t have to do any research I sure hope you guys can help me out quickly so I can go in there and show them how to do their job Thank you in advance for your assistance Cindy nbsp

Relevancy 46.01%

Intel P4 3.4ghz HT 800fsb 1mb cache
Gigabyte GA-8I915P Duo Pro Motherboard
1gb Crucial DDRII 5300 Dual Channel Ram (2x512mb)
XFX 256mb 6800 Ultra PCI-X Graphics Card
Qtec 650watt Triple Fan PSU

Connected to the above system are 2 x pioneer 109 DVD Writers on IDE1
2x 200gb Maxtor Drives 1 on IDE2 and 1 on IDE3 these 2 channels are normally for Raid array which I dont want which is why there is 1 drive on each channel
2x 250gb maxtor SATA150 drives 1 on SATA0 and 1 on SATA1 these drives show up as Master on the boot sequence

My problem is the sata drives are so slow I copied a 20gig folder and it took 57 minutes and Inew something was wrong so I copied the same 20gb folder to one of my IDE drives and it took 12 minutes so it seems I have something setup wrong

Its starting to drive me nuts now
so Any help would be greatly appreciated

Relevancy 45.58%

So here s my dillema I m hardware after drives recognized) windows change (IDE Problems major booting not sort of a novice in the hardware department I ve successfully swapped out hard drives and disc drives and transferred my mobo from an old case to a new Problems booting windows after major hardware change (IDE drives not recognized) one before so I recently attempted a more indepth overhaul Namely when my old computer died from what was likely a video card or motherboard fail power still worked but there was no monitor display or POST beep anymore I decided to swap out the old stuff for new and better parts amp nbsp My PSU and case along with my gb hard drive and my two dvd rom drives are fairly new so I m replacing the motherboard from a nine-year old God knows what to a ASUS P KPL-AM SE processor AMD Athlon to an Intel Core Duo RAM PC to DDR and vid card my old GeForce for a new PowerColor HD Running XP Home The build went successfully from what I can tell though I m not entirely certain how to hook up the IDE ribbons correctly when I have two DVD Rom drives since there are only three connectors and I have three drives plus the mobo connector Anyway when I fired it up initially I got nothing There was power but I got a POST error one long beep followed by two short beeps Since I figured it might be that my old PSU isn t putting out enough power to supply this massive new video card I removed the card to see what would happen Now I get the single long POST beep and a screen recognizing the motherboard and processor I get as far as the screen that tells me Windows did not shut down properly but no matter what option I choose safe mode safe mode w command prompt start windows normally or last known good config at this point the system simply restarts again with the single beep and I m back at square one I m aware of the pitfalls of swapping motherboards while trying to save the OS I have my hard drive partitioned which means I should be able to keep my files intact despite a complete reinstall yes At this point I don t expect to be able to get away without reinstalling windows but I can t figure out how to get the system to take the install disc so I can even do that I don t know my way around BIOS very well My hope is that if I can get it booted up and running using the system s onboard video then I can worry about replacing the power supply with a higher wattage and installing the new video card at a later date My immediate issue is that the BIOS isn t recognizing any of my IDE drives I have a single DVD writer and a hard drive hooked up on an IDE cable but the main BIOS page says quot Primary IDE Master Not Detected quot quot Primary IDE Slave Not Detected quot I ve checked everything and it seems to be all hooked up correctly so I can t figure out why this isn t working The obvious problem is that since I can t get the drive to function I in turn can t read the Windows install disc so I can t even get in and try to do a repair install or anything I can provide more info if you need it I m just at a loss right now nbsp

A:Problems booting windows after major hardware change (IDE drives not recognized)

you must reinstall windows on the new setup from scratch. Any major hardware changes will require this. Windows configures itself and is registered to the mobo and components. Also windows is licensed for only one system at a time.

A BIOS beep is indicative of hardware failure or incompatibility. Read my guide here: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic95391.html

To retrieve data you will need to use your drive in another system as an external device. Use a usb to IDE adapter.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-booting-windows-after-major-hardware-change-ide-drives-not-recognized.132441/
Relevancy 45.58%

hi all-

i have somewhat of an annoying problem that i was hoping the experts out there can help me with. i have a sandisk cruzer mini usb device (512mb) that i have been using for about a year without difficulty, and unfortunately my computer no longer brings it up as a drive (along with my hard disk) when it is plugged in, even though it plugs and plays fine on another computer and on the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the lower right hand corner it is said to be working properly. i think this is probably some software issue as my computer is also not able to recognize a second usb drive.

i am running windows xp2 and had recently reinstalled secondary to other problems....but this was an unexpected gift, if you will

many thanks in advance for your help!

cheers
k

A:Solved: computer not recognizing USB drives, even though Safely Remove Hardware is working

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-computer-not-recognizing-usb-drives-even-though-safely-remove-hardware-is-working.479609/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi I have been having failures. rediculous drives.. multiple mobo/ram/2 prob bluescreen hardware hard a problem with my PC I have built it myself and everything was properly installed However I am having issues with blue screen restarts and hardware failure So far I have lost motherboard of the sticks of ram went bad and all were replaced Also sata harddrive and sata SSD have failed I have since replaced all those parts and am still getting blue screens that restart my computer These blue screens happen at random times and I am unsure what to do my specifications are as follows windows home premium bit rediculous bluescreen prob multiple hardware failures. mobo/ram/2 hard drives.. gigs kingston hyper X DDR AMD FX core at ghz Nvidia Geforce GTX SE M A LE R motherboard I don't know tons about computers but I know enough to rediculous bluescreen prob multiple hardware failures. mobo/ram/2 hard drives.. put one together and navigate my way around So if someone can walk me through a way to get whoever is helping me the information they need to make a proper diagnosis that would be awesome

A:rediculous bluescreen prob multiple hardware failures. mobo/ram/2 hard drives..

Well, I probably look at your power supply since you have not replaced that. It could be providing dirty power causing the other components to fail.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/509354/rediculous-bluescreen-prob-multiple-hardware-failures-moboram2-hard-drives/
Relevancy 45.15%

The other day my computerscreen went black The lamp indicating that the computer was running was still alight but it went all quiet I tried another powersupply even though it seemed like the computer got power and it started up again apparently it was the powersupply after all The problem is that windows seems to start up properly untill I get to the part where I should be allowed to log in instead i get the msg It is a translate from the swedish msg so it might not be exactly like this quot Services exe one component could not be found This program could not be started because umpnpmgr dll could not be found This problem can be solved by reinstalling the program quot After an eternity I actually get to log in and another - minutes wait actually starts up windows but everytime I try do anything it takes like minutes for something to happen Well I figured I should reinstall windows but when I try I realise I can t since I don t have the S-ATA drivers on a floppydisc and the only computer with a working floppystation is the one that is corrupt and I can t copy the needed files to windows [SATA xp broke drives crash Hardware prevent reinstall?] Solved: a floppy at the moment Without these drivers there seems to be no way to repair or reinstall windows Is there anyway to make the computer take the drivers needed to install the harddrives for a windowsreinstall from another source than a floppy The motherboard came with a cd-rom and I can also get the files onto a usb memorystick Seems abit oldfashioned to make it Solved: Hardware crash broke windows xp [SATA drives prevent reinstall?] dependent Solved: Hardware crash broke windows xp [SATA drives prevent reinstall?] on floppies my new laptop don t even have a floppydrive If that isn t possible is there anyway I can override things so that the windowsinstaller can detect my harddrives without having to install the sata-drivers I really would be grateful if there was a solution except resetting the computer to factorysettings since it will take a massive amount of time getting things back together I got it to run enough to run scandisc that didn t find anything I tried to start up with the anti virus Solved: Hardware crash broke windows xp [SATA drives prevent reinstall?] cd and that didn t find anything I tried to use restorepoint but got the message that it can t protect the computer and asks me to reboot and try again Can t start the computer in safetymode either nbsp

A:Solved: Hardware crash broke windows xp [SATA drives prevent reinstall?]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hardware-crash-broke-windows-xp-sata-drives-prevent-reinstall.459431/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi I have a folder of home videos that I 6.41Gb says says folder 2.67Gb, properties properties *.* back up to a USB key with Syncback The key is nearly full and I'm trying to reduce the size of that folder But here's the thing If I folder properties says 2.67Gb, *.* properties says 6.41Gb right-click on my 'Home videos' folder and select 'Properties' it tells me I have files in folders taking Gb However if I open the folder and search for to show all the files then select all right-click 'Properties' it tells me I have files in folders taking Gb Still at the bottom of the Windows Explorer window it says items selected This is the case on both the folder in My Documents on the PC and also the matching folder on the USB key Treesize also shows Gb for both folders In fact as far as I can figure what with everything else on the same USB key there wouldn't even be room for a Gb folder I've tried showing both hidden and system files and folders but there's nothing extra to see Can anyone please explain this anomaly I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure it out

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/399832-folder-properties-says-2-67gb-properties-says-6-41gb.html
Relevancy 41.71%

Please read this, sorry, I would copy and paste but like I say I'm using a Wii for internet due to no working PC, and there's no copy and paste (yes, I'm actually typing this damn long URL by hand):
http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-hardw...r-how-do-i-take-hdd-graphics-card-out-pc.html

Thanks for any help! Hopefully this forum will have more people online at this late/early time (I'm UK based and so is the previous forum)

A:Complete hardware beginner: How to remove power cables, ribbon cables and HDD drives?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/complete-hardware-beginner-how-to-remove-power-cables-ribbon-cables-and-hdd-drives.776575/
Relevancy 41.71%

Hello Im using vista ultimate x When i access the local area connection window where all the TCP IPv and TCP IPv are I am unable to click on properties on any of them yes i am the administartor By other words i am unable too access the access window Cannot in properties" area connection properties "local window where you can change the quot Obtain an ip adress automatically quot and quot obtain dns server address automatically quot options are When i sellect TCP IPv or TCP IPv the properties button is just gray As is the unnistall button When i hit the configure button i just get sendt back too the desktop I am Cannot access properties in "local area connection properties" window also unable to uncheck the TCP IPv or TCP IPv boxes on the left side of the names or any of the other stuff If I hit the install button and try too install i new protocoll i only get a error message saying quot windows cannot find the file quot Iv'e also tried it using the administrator account But it didn't help What is causing this problem and how Cannot access properties in "local area connection properties" window I fix it Thanks in advance

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cannot-access-properties-in-local-area-connection-properties-window-187331.html
Relevancy 41.71%

Hello Im using vista ultimate x When i access the local area connection window where all the TCP IPv and TCP IPv are I am unable to click on properties on any of them yes i am the administartor By other words i am unable too access the window where you can change the quot Obtain an ip adress automatically quot and access window area "local properties" in properties Cannot connection quot obtain dns server address automatically quot options are When i sellect TCP IPv or Cannot access properties in "local area connection properties" window TCP IPv the properties button is just gray As is the unnistall button When i hit the configure button i just get sendt back too the desktop I am also unable to uncheck the TCP IPv or TCP IPv boxes on the left side of the names or any of the other stuff If I hit the install button and try too install i new protocoll i only get a error message saying quot windows cannot find the file quot Iv e also tried it jusing the administrator account But it didn t help What is causing this problem and how I fix it Thanks in advance nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-properties-in-local-area-connection-properties-window.636065/
Relevancy 39.99%

Does windows XP Home come with the policies function, or is it something that is added on? I looked, and I couldn't find it in the help menu, or in the regedit tool. The only time its even mention is in the context of "you must be logged on as an administrator, and have no network policies set to do this" (referring to something entirely different).

Thanks for your help,

Nick M. Rahl

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/policies-in-xp.121254/
Relevancy 39.99%

Using Windows XP Professional (Not Networked) how can I modify other users policy settings. I am the Administrator of my PC and the other users are restricted users. Is their any simple way (Without Installing Additional Software) that I can access their registry settings so that I can modify their user policies ?

A:Policies On XP Pro

Have you tried the Group Policy Editor? You can specify users or groups with many of the policy options.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/policies-on-xp-pro.356909/
Relevancy 39.99%

For years I have not had a problem with downloading a program. Suddenly, get this error msg. What does it mean?

A:I have set policies?????

If you don't remember setting policies this can happen due to malware. I would run a malwarebytes at a minimum.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

Here is more information and instructions on how to re-enable it.
SUPERAntiSpyware FAQ - I receive the error message "The System Administrator has set policies to prevent this installation"

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/347782-i-have-set-policies.html
Relevancy 39.99%

I want to tighten the policies for my domain users.
I have disabled local administrator through Group policy, i have blocked removable devices and also black listed devices based on their hardware ids. The computers are update to date with latest antivirus updates.
Please do guide me more security policies which i can test and apply on domain users.

A:policies

Not sure if this is something you might be interested in or not: 7 Security Policies

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/338390-policies.html
Relevancy 39.56%

I just finished a private lab with 10 PC's that are linked together LAN without a server present.
Operating System: Windows Xp Home SP2.

In each computer there two accounts 1.admin 2. guest. every pc is member of a workgroup (my lan works perfect so does the internet, automatic ip's)

Is there a way to create policies for the guest users so that they cannot use the net anytime they like and to limit their priviledges to minimum.

I know the way with server 2003 windows but since i don't have a server how can i make group policies for the users?

help please because this is the second time i was forced to format 10 pc's due to virus problems....!

Relevancy 39.56%

I got this in an email: -------------Fwd: Copies Of Policies Unfortunately, I cannot obtain electronic copies of the SPII Policy. Here is the Package and Umbrella, and a copy of the most recent schedule. DANI Wells.----------- It's a link to webpage at a site that appears to have been hacked. The link goes to: (DANGER :: LINK GOES TO MALWARE)starlinewindows.info/mail-index.htm The starlinewindows link is a redirect to another site: (DANGER :: LINK GOES TO MALWARE)hxxp://gimihaloook.ru:8080/forum/links/column.php The link above loads a heavily obfuscated javascript. I looked at the script, but I'm not an expert at javascript. I'm curious what it does. It seems to go to a great deal of trouble identifying the browser and OS. What else does it do?

A:Fwd: Copies Of Policies

Hello -
Have you opened any link in the questionable email ??
Never open any link that is totally unknown to you, as this is the easiest way to spread infections.

Do you currently have problems with your computer, or is this posted for some ? information ??

Thank You -

If you are / think you are infected please post in the Malware removal or Am I Infected forums -

Thank You -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/488332/fwd-copies-of-policies/
Relevancy 39.56%

To be honest i am using windows 7. but this issue is more of a vista than a win 7 specific.

Anyway, i am running as a standard user so anytime i want to run something that is Admin level. it should prompt me to enter a Username and Password of my admin account. but i might have did something on my standard account that instead of giving me the UAC prompt it gives me a error stating that i am not included in the group policies. is there a way to bring back UAC on my standard account?

A:Group Policies

Enter GPEDIT.MSC in the search area of start menu to access group policy editor. Then check to see UAC is enabled as per attachment:

This works in Vista. Windows 7 is beta (may or may not work).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/group-policies-344407.html
Relevancy 39.56%

I added some local policies to a local machine to prevent users from doing some things. Ie; run command, display, clock.

However, its also affected my admin side as well. Is there a way to have the policies jsut enforced to the specified user or group? I know about group policies, but i have not done them locally on 1 machine, to affect one user. I've only done them via domain structure.

Would i basically create a group on the local machine, add the user, and apply the policies to that group? If so, from where do i apply these settings to a group?

Relevancy 39.56%

Is there an easy way to lock down the menu's in IE 5.5 on an NT4 network? Maybe the equivalent of system polices? I have looked on MS website but all I could find was the IEAK and it seems like you have to create your own build of IE, which I don't want to do. I want to be able to force the starting home page, history, security settings, etc etc by using the network logon.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!

Blud

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-policies-for-ie-in-nt4.50614/
Relevancy 39.56%

hi,

i have just set up a small network of win2k pc's and a win2k server on it.
I have a problem with group policies not being pulled down on the pro machines.....

I have setup an OU group policy and placed the users and the computers i want this policy applied to in this group...
I have also ticked the box block inheritance....still no joy

I have AD and DNS running , also NAT and DHCP

If i rember correctly i think i had the domain default policy working on the pc's as i deployed some software using that policy to them.

But surely this policy the OU one should be applied as well especially since it is meant to be overiding the default one.....

any help would be great.

thanks

mike

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win2k-policies.64037/
Relevancy 39.56%

I am currently fixing a PC not this one i am posting with right now That was infected in between the th to the th The user my auntie downloaded and used limewire for quite some time against my advice but this time was struck when a movie file asked her to download a program to run the movie Her system was infected and she deleted limewire Original files used to infect the pc have already been deleted and tried to run avg which failed Symptoms and things i have tried Note most of these passed the installation processCant Open many virus scanners malware scanners Web site redirects Windows policies changed to prevent some programs running Uninstalled Java reinstalled it Windows recovery fails to start Avg fails to load ComboFix fails to load Super anti spyware fails Trojan/Policies to load SDfix fails to load Spybot Search n destroy fails to load Nod full system scan found Trojan/Policies items cleared them all and now no more random exe files appear in C however browser hijacking and exe files still fail to load even renaming them to different things HJT cleared everything there was not much left after i uninstalled java and virus scanners ect Things pop back up in there MBam Fails to load but with an error the error isHeader quot vcAccelerator Trojan/Policies SGrid II Trojan/Policies Controll quot message quot Run-Time error quot quot quot next errorHeader quot Malware Antibytes Anti-Malware quot message quot Automation error quot Had help in majorgeeks forums but the last comment was after my logs were read quot i cant see any malware present on your system quot Also tried online scans the websites with the specific scan fail to load Constant redirection to Webclicks I even tried to reset policies but the recovery console does not start as soon as i select it in start up it goes to a blinking dashing line and will sit there indefinitely Crap Cleaner works and i cleaned as much as i could out Reg edit works but i have no idea what to look for anymore Note Java once uninstalled would not reinstall returning an error along the lines of quot you do not have permission quot i had help from the majorgeeks forum to run a reg file that got it working The system seems hijacked but i cannot determine what is causing it It seemed completely stealthed or part of windows which leads me to believe some policies are stopping me doing things

A:Trojan/Policies

Uninstall mbam and reinstall itIf mbam won't installSome types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/208533/trojanpolicies/
Relevancy 39.56%

Hi! I'm looking for a program to take place of Group Policies, I run Win2K on a home system and need some users to have restricted access (they like to mess around) but I can't seem to find a program to do this in and the pre-set ones suck. Please reply if you know of any

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/group-policies.44514/
Relevancy 39.56%

I'm a newbie at managing an NT4.0 server and have implemented system policies for users. I would like to know how to restrict users from downloading executables from the web? Please help as well as sharing with me any books that may point me in the right direction for managing the server etc. Thank you.

Relevancy 39.56%

Hello Please tell me where is the policies menu in windows XP home I went on microsoft websites and their information is as usual incomplete I am menu policies told to RESOLUTION To work around this problem use the KILL command line utility available with the Windows Resource Kit to stop processes that do not run under the security policies menu context of the logged on user Back to the top MORE INFORMATION It is possible policies menu to end any process even though it is a service or a system process by previously enabling the debug privilege This privilege is assigned to Administrators and is disabled in the access token While Task Manager does not make use of the debug privilege the KILL utility does You may assign this privilege to users other than Administrators with User Manager To assign this privilege do the following On the Policies menu click User Rights Select Show Advanced User Rights In the Right box click Debug Programs and then click Add to add users Thank you nbsp

A:policies menu

What is the problem you're looking to solve? The feature you're trying to access appears to be a server feature not available in a desktop operating system.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/policies-menu.760472/
Relevancy 39.56%

How do you set up system policies for W2kpro.
poledit.exe isnt working.

A:system policies

i'm pretty sure you can't create system policies on Pro. this can only be done from a domain controller (using local security policy, or domain security policy) i could be wrong, but... yeah.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-policies.40246/
Relevancy 39.56%

We have been trying to install Photostory on a Windows 7 PC. When we run the Pstory.msi file it gets through initial part but when it gets to install the software a pop-up window comes up saying:-

"The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation."

Can anyone help with how to change the policy setting or which one so I can fix it?

A:Windows 7 Policies

Right click the Pstory.msi and choose to Run as Administrator.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-policies-587042.html
Relevancy 39.56%

Anyone know how to edit group policies with C# code or even how to do it in a batch script? I'm working on an encryption software roll out at work and I'm trying to stream line the process so anyone can do it. Any help or links is appreciated.

A:C# and Win XP Group Policies

VTfletch said:

Anyone know how to edit group policies with C# code or even how to do it in a batch script? I'm working on an encryption software roll out at work and I'm trying to stream line the process so anyone can do it. Any help or links is appreciated.Click to expand...

Make sure you take security precautions! =)

I can't think of anything of the top of my head that would be useful other than google and msdn.

Jeff

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-and-win-xp-group-policies.569336/
Relevancy 39.56%

Anyone have Security policies developed that they would like to share? In particular, I'm looking for P&P relating to mobile computing access (i.e., laptops & PDAs).

No sense me reinventing the wheel if you have something I can work with

A:Security Policies

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb....bump

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/security-policies.190866/
Relevancy 39.56%

i have this cousin of mine that keeps xxxxx me off, he always downloads vids and transfers it to his usb (or vice versa) from the internet that are carrying trojans and virus. i keep blocking the website but he knows just how to undo it. i have antivirus but i really want to set the policy of my computer in a way that he can no longer transfer files into his usb or vice versa.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/setting-policies-370514.html
Relevancy 39.56%

I have recently deployed 400 XP Pro Laptops over a WiFi network run under a Win2K3 domain. I have set up the group polices OK, but all the laptops had prior existing local accounts on them as they had previously been deployed without any controls. I want to achieve the following:

1. Over-ride local users so they are subject to group policies even when not connected to the domain (ie log on with cached domain settings)
2. Transfer existing MyDocs etc for local users into new MyDocs that relate to new user account on domain

without having to do this manually on each laptop.

Any suggestions would be very welome.

Ted Daniels

A:Win 2K3 Group Policies

1. If you use cached logins it should still use the domain policy when log in to the domain account when not on the network. Read this post about how to harden the security of this.: http://securityfocus.com/archive/88/388879...22/2005-01-28/22. Your best bet is to extend the login script to move the files to the new my documents for the domain profile.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/13808/win-2k3-group-policies/
Relevancy 39.56%

Hi everybody,
I'm new in thios forum and new in Windows 7
I have a question, if someone can help me, i will be grateful.
How can i set to my Win 7 local polocies for users.
I want only my user to LogIn in my Computer, and everybody to have access denied

Tanks !

A:Local Policies

Hello Marian, and welcome to Seven Forums.

The easiest way to do this is to only have one user account (yours) on the computer, and create a strong password for it. This way they will not be able to log on to your user account at startup without knowing the password.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/89843-local-policies.html
Relevancy 39.56%

We have been trying to install Photostory on a Windows 7 PC. When we run the Pstory.msi file it gets through initial part but when it gets to install the software a pop-up window comes up saying:-

"The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation."

Can anyone help with how to change the policy setting or which one so I can fix it?

A:Windows 7 Policies

Are you running the setup file as Administrator via Right Clicking it?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/409259/windows-7-policies/
Relevancy 39.56%

Hi everyone,

How would I go about creating a folder in a network that would only allow a select few access to it? Is this possible? Thank you in advance.

Relevancy 39.56%

I ve got a problem with policies I ve never set I can not change my Internet settings homepage etc and I can not invoke the MMC under my user name It tells me to ask my network admin I am on a Toshiba laptop with XP with all the Windows updates done as of I do dock and get on our corporate network too My user id has administrative privileges btw Well I did ask our sysadmin if he had any policies and said all he did was redirect all homepages to the corporate website and made changing it OK after I called him yesterday he assured me he had removed ALL policies on my UID SOOOO I think it s on my box I do believe him XP User Policies So I signed on as the admin on my box and can not find any user policies set up The user name I always sign in on is admin privileged so I can t figure out what the deal is any ideas nbsp

A:XP User Policies

It looks to me there is a group policy under the the container/object your account is located.

Now it could be set as the domain group policy, or just under your container/object.

So they have exluded MMC from the c prompt and have disabled in IE the changing of IE settings.

They either need to move you to a container that does not inherit settings or to a container without the GPO.

You can check you local policies, if you can access the admin tools in control panel, but I do not remember being able to setup stuff like that as a local policy.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-user-policies.221336/
Relevancy 39.13%

Hello all,

I was wondering if I could set up accounts to limit the users freedom to change system settings on one account and not the others. For example, you couldn't see the control panel in the "all" account, but you could in the "Admin" account. I know that you can download third party software, such as FreshUI, and you can impliment group policies, but I'm working with a couple of donated computers from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and they have the accounts set up exactly the way I want them, without any policies, or third party software. If it's a matter of getting into the security features, or registry, no problem, but I would like to learn how it is done.

Thanks

A:Account policies...can they work for one, and not for all???

Visit www.winguides.com this site gives registry tweak and by the way i read one disabling control panel to other users. check it!

Good Luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/account-policies-can-they-work-for-one-and-not-for-all.260198/
Relevancy 39.13%

I have a pc with Win 7 Pro RTM, with two user accounts.

The one account is for pc management and my Dad to use, so it needs everything enabled (account is an administrator).
The second account is for visitors to use, so I wish to disable many features in Windows to prevent people messing about with the machine (normal user account).

I've tried the group policy editor, but this works at a computer level, not at a user level as far as I can tell, and thus both accounts are affected.

Is there any sort of user level tool I can use like the group policy editor, to lock down the visitor account only?

A:How to set user level policies in Win 7 Pro

Quote: Originally Posted by pmurgs

I have a pc with Win 7 Pro RTM, with two user accounts.

The one account is for pc management and my Dad to use, so it needs everything enabled (account is an administrator).
The second account is for visitors to use, so I wish to disable many features in Windows to prevent people messing about with the machine (normal user account).

I've tried the group policy editor, but this works at a computer level, not at a user level as far as I can tell, and thus both accounts are affected.

Is there any sort of user level tool I can use like the group policy editor, to lock down the visitor account only?

Well first thing you do is create a standard user. then use parental controls to limit, then if you need modify policy edit to lock it down still further by limiting std user group

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/22177-how-set-user-level-policies-win-7-pro.html
Relevancy 39.13%

I have XP Professional. My friend installed this version on my PC last week and I'm getting my bearings on the differences between this version and another XP version. I notice this one has a Windows Firewall. My problem is that I used to be able to access my employer's company intranet from home. When I go to the site and enter my login info I get the message:Access Denied (policy_denied) Your system policy has denied access to the requested URL. For assistance, contact your network support team.I'm thinking I have to modify a setting in gpedit.msc however I can't be sure. Any thoughts of what security setting that needs to be modified?

A:Adjusting Computer Policies

You should not have to modify any settings. Have you fooled around with the policy settings before you tried the vpn or tried it straight out without changing anything?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/5458/adjusting-computer-policies/
Relevancy 39.13%

Hello My XP pro was infected with some kind of Bagle I installation this prevent Policies to cleaned the system as best I could reinstated Safe Mode which was deleted from registry but still cannot install VIPRE anti virus I get the message quot The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installtion quot I can t find what s going on and would appriciate your help here Here s Safe Mode Runscanner log don t know how to use Policies to prevent this installation the run file Runscanner logfile http www runscanner net signed file- file not foundGeneral info------------Creation time Hosts lt gt Hosts file location SystemRoot System drivers etcIE version OS Microsoft Windows XPOS Build OS SP Service Pack RunScanner Version User Language HebrewUser rights AdministratorWindows folder C WINDOWSRunning processes----------------- C WINDOWS system csrss exe Policies to prevent this installation Microsoft Corporation C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe Microsoft Corporation C WINDOWS system svchost exe Microsoft Corporation C WINDOWS system svchost exe Microsoft Corporation C WINDOWS system svchost exe Microsoft Corporation C WINDOWS system svchost exe Microsoft Corporation C WINDOWS system svchost exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe Microsoft Corporation C WINDOWS system lsass exe Microsoft Corporation C WINDOWS pchealth helpctr binaries HelpCtr exe Microsoft Corporation C WINDOWS pchealth helpctr binaries helpsvc exe Microsoft Corporation C WINDOWS system mmc exe Microsoft Corporation C Documents and Settings Danny Local Settings Temporary Internet Files Content IE DQ OLEX runscanner exe Runscanner net C WINDOWS system services exe Microsoft Corporation C WINDOWS explorer exe Microsoft Corporation C WINDOWS system winlogon exe Microsoft Corporation C WINDOWS system smss exe Microsoft Corporation Unrated items------------- C WINDOWS system NeroCheck exe Ahead Software Gmbh C Program Files Nuance OmniPage Ereg Ereg exe Nuance Communications Inc C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe Apple Inc C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe Info soft C Program Files Common Files Adobe Calibration Adobe Gamma Loader exe Adobe Systems Inc C Program Files Palm Hotsync exe PalmSource Inc C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe Id String F B CC BB B C Program Files Common Files Adobe Systems Shared Service Adobelmsvc exe Adobe LM Service C WINDOWS system DRIVERS CDANTSRV EXE C-DillaSrv C Program Files Common Files Macrovision Shared FLEXnet Publisher FNPLicensingService exe FLEXnet Licensing Service C Program Files Common Files InstallShield Driver Intel IDriverT exe InstallDriver Table Manager C WINDOWS system drivers CDANT SYS C-Dilla C WINDOWS system drivers SCDEmu sys SCDEmu C Program Files agat AGForm AGForms dll Agat ed e de - db- -a d-f b ba C Program Files FlashGet FlashGet exe FlashGet com D E A -E C - d - D - BA E C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe Info soft FB F -F - d -BB E- C F C Program Files Windows Desktop Search MSNLNamespaceMgr dll Microsoft Corporation F E- - C - F - A BCC GUID CLSID not found B -B E- CD-A D- E E C PROGRA agat AGForm AGFORM DLL Agat E - AB - EB -ACA -CBBE DBE C Program Files FlashGet jccatch dll www flashget com F -AA - B - F D- A B E EF C Program Files FlashGet getflash dll www flashget com F E- EF- C- - BA DBA C WINDOWS system nvshell dll CDB - F - - - E C A D C WINDOWS system nvshell dll E B FB-F E - - B-B DA A C WINDOWS system CfShellFtpRds dll Macromedia Inc AC C C -F A - D -BEF - C F C WINDOWS system nvshell dll E B FB-F E - - B-B DA A C Program Files PowerISO PWRISOSH DLL PowerISO Computing Inc B D - B D- - - EA C C DCE C Program Files Windows Desktop Search msnlExt dll Microsoft Corporation E F -F - -BEA - DF F FA C Program Files WinRAR rarext dll B DB - EE - D - -E FADC CA C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX PDFShell dll Adobe Systems Inc F DB - E- D - F - F C ProxyOverride HKCU local ... Read more

A:Policies to prevent this installation

Hello,Now that you have posted a log, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.From this point on the Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.Please be patient. It may take several days, up to two weeks perhaps less, to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/343097/policies-to-prevent-this-installation/
Relevancy 39.13%

I can not install or uninstall programs it always come up with "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation". I am logged in the administator account how can i get around this to uninstall programs?

A:The system administrator has set policies

Welcome to Sevenforums, breezly2

You may want to check and see if this fixes your problem:

The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation

Here's another fix:

Fix for "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation" error. | The BHC Blog

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/82974-system-administrator-has-set-policies.html
Relevancy 39.13%

I am running XP Pro SP2 and IE7

I was trying to access a new security camera installation and it kept asking me for ActiveX permission. I kept saying 'install', but it still finally said that it would not install a program because the publisher could not be verified. I added to the trusted sites... but no change.

I edited the Group Policy and Security Policy, the IE-->Tools options

Now it tells me... "your security settings do not allow websites to use ActiveX controls installed on your computer..."

It also won't start MSN Messenger or MS Defender saying the services can't start because of security settings.

I've tried System Restore, but it didn't fix anything??

Is there anyway to reset everything?

A:Screwed Up Security Policies

Security systems use a lot of proprietary software and hardware. I've found that the best place to find fixes for these problems is at the system maker's website.

Just a thought - but did this start to occur after installing IE7? It could be a problem with the new "protected mode" that IE7 uses.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70489/screwed-up-security-policies/
Relevancy 39.13%

Hi!

For testing purposes, I made some changes/added some rules in the local group policy editor (Software Restriction Policies / Application Control Policies) which I have withdrawn afterwards.

However, the next time I started my workstation, the following message appeared:

"Execution of the Windows Script Host failed. (This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator)."

Unfortunately, the system admin (IBM) could not help and suggested a reinstall of my workstation.

I would really appreciate any help!!!

A:HELP! Messed up group policies...

Quote: Originally Posted by Rickson1982

Hi!

For testing purposes, I made some changes/added some rules in the local group policy editor (Software Restriction Policies / Application Control Policies) which I have withdrawn afterwards.

However, the next time I started my workstation, the following message appeared:

"Execution of the Windows Script Host failed. (This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator)."

Unfortunately, the system admin (IBM) could not help and suggested a reinstall of my workstation.

I would really appreciate any help!!!

System Restore is made to fix problems with system files that were changed so it might be worth a try.

System Restore

Of course having a system image handy for situations like this would be nice also.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/277315-help-messed-up-group-policies.html
Relevancy 39.13%

When I'm trying to install the orange box or steam it says "System Administrator has set policies to prevent this installation". The thing is there is only 1 account-user. I made a administrator account but I cant find out how to change the policies. Is there anything I should do or something that I should not have done???

A:System Administrator Policies?!?!?!?!

Tell us more about this machine including the version of Vista?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-administrator-policies.725366/
Relevancy 39.13%

I hope you can help. I am unable to uninstall SlimCleaner Plus. I keep getting the message "The System Administrator has set policies to prevent this installation." I am the only user on this laptop and the administrator so I don't understand what is going on. I have tried setting the compability mode to Windows XP SP 2, that did not work. Then I set it to Windows 7 and that did not work either.

Here is my system info:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II N850 Triple-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 3
RAM: 3835 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 292609 MB, Free - 200998 MB;
Motherboard: TOSHIBA, NALAE
Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

A:System Administrator policies

Hi,
While you're waiting for help with that issue, I suggest you have a look at this library article from TSG that strongly advocates not using progs such as that: http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Registry_Cleaners

Hope it's of interest?
If you detail the problems you're having that make you want to use Slimcleaner you might get more specific help and advice ... just a suggestion.

Richard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-administrator-policies.1117907/
Relevancy 39.13%

I'm trying to force a Vista machine to update policies using "gpupdate /force", but the "computer" policy fails every time. The user policy is OK, and both policies update successfully on my XP machine.

I get an error "access denied" on the vista machine, saying something about DFS not being installed - but why does this only occur on my Vista machine???

Relevancy 39.13%

Hi all This is my first time posting luckily because I haven t really had any computer problems prior to NoDesktop Policies. Explorer now A week or so ago my computer was attacked by some type of virus which kept prompting me to purchase a program to help quot Defrag quot Explorer Policies. NoDesktop my computer After some research it seems as though it was a virus called quot Win Defrag quot or quot Safe Defrag quot or something along the lines Some things that have been affected are All program files and documents became hidden and read-onlythe start button had no programs or documents on itall my short cuts were deletedAll of these have since been resolved but there is still one Explorer Policies. NoDesktop problem that I am having My desktop is locked By locked I mean that I can t change the back ground I can t put any Icons on the Desktop All the Icons and folders that were on the desktop still appear when I view the desktop through My Computer But while looking at the desktop with everything else minimized nothing is there I ve tried to right click gt arrange Icons gt Show Icons or whatever it is but it won t even let me right click on the desktop I have AVG Anti-Virus which didn t pick this virus up at all So I also downloaded StopZilla which keeps picking something up quot Explorer Policies NoDesktop quot I run StopZilla it says it removes the quot Hijacker quot but nothing changes with my desktop So I read that I should try to make a regestry Key or something I m the opposite of computer savy in Notebook that follows REGEDIT HKEY CURRENT USER Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Policies Explorer quot NoDesktop quot dword Once I then try to run that StopZilla comes back up with the same virus Explorer Policies NoDesktopSo Please if anyone one knows how to eliminate this virus or whatever I need to do to get it off my PC and allow my desktop to work again That would be Amazing

A:Explorer Policies. NoDesktop

Hello rlei1330,

We are currently having the same problem. We also have no desktop icons or background and we keep seeing an error message warning us of a hard drive failure. We are also running StopZilla and are experiencing the same warning of a hacker but cannot remove the virus we are then presented with an error message of ExplorerPolicies.NoDesktop.

We contacted the StopZilla live support and a repreentative took control of our computer and ran 'chkdsk c: /p/r' to try to retrieve the desktop, however we are still having the same problem. Currently we cant get through to StopZilla live chat again as we think that the virus is stopping the page geting through. If we manage to get through to StopZilla and manage to fix it we will let you know. :D

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/397496/explorer-policies-nodesktop/
Relevancy 39.13%

Hey there, I am currently in a Computer Technology course and I have a project requiring me to find Security Policies that have to do with Windows 7. I have searched the internet quite a bit and have come up with nothing. If someone could either acknowledge me or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

A:Windows 7 Security Policies

Please mind that I'm looking for Security Policies in effect for Windows 7 Professional. I am using my home computer to do this assignment.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/254038-windows-7-security-policies.html
Relevancy 39.13%

when i attempt to start the diagnostic policy services i get the message that the "Diagnostic Policy Services on local computer stated and then stopped. somel services  stop alutomatically if they are not in use by other services or programs." I need it to start and stay started.  what do i do????l I've spent three days trying to resolve this problem.  it stays started on my laptop but not my desktop. Ergo, I am unable to run certain diagnostics that I need.

A:diagnostic policies service

Hi Sssmith to BC,

Let's take a look into the system by generating two logs...
 » Minitoolbox log
Download MiniToolBox and save the file to the Desktop.
Close the browser and run the tool, check the following options:
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Devices (select Only Problems)
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Minidump Files
List Restore Points
Click on Go.
Post the resulting log in your next reply.

Let's check some windows critical services...
 » Farbar Service Scanner (FSS) log
Download Farbar Service Scanner and save the file to the Desktop.
Run FSS
Check all the options
click Scan
Post the generated log in your reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/543221/diagnostic-policies-service/
Relevancy 39.13%

I m running Winxp Pro SP with ZoneAlarm AVG antivirus Ad-aware Spy Waresweper Untill early last night my PC was running fine while in windows After this time I now enter Windows and I have a problem - I am unable to Policies? Possible Corrupt Group load any programs For instance - Programs that normally appear in the system tray don t appear load - Double clicking on icons shortcuts doenen t matter wether its a link for a txt file or an exe on the desktop to load programs dont load instead a message is displayed quot Windows cannot access the specified device path or file You may not have the appropiate permissons to access the item quot and there is an OK button to press - So Possible Corrupt Group Policies? running virus adaware etc isn t possible I have users connected to the computer of them are limited accounts whereas my account is classed as computer admin Prior to the problem occuring I installed Colin Mcrae s Dirt Ontop of that I installed an offical game patch Next I downloaded DVD Santa which I beleive could be the source of the problem With this in mind I switched off my PC left for about mins and then booted back into windows using safe mode I could now run antivirus spyware adware etc which only just found a couuple of cookies which I removed I also uninstalled Colin Mcrae and DVD Santa I then switched off my PC and went to bed The problem is still present I am browsing the net by opening a folder on the desktop and typing in the addresss of this forum Any help would be appreciated

A:Possible Corrupt Group Policies?

Try Kelly's Korner.Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar - #195 on the right.You should backup your registry before you attempt this fix. For backing up the registry I recommend the freeware utility ERUNT.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/105840/possible-corrupt-group-policies/
Relevancy 39.13%

Salams

Iam using windows server 2000 and managing users through active directory...as ISA Server 2000 as proxy server with DSL connection of internet...i want to use bandwidth policies for users...so that users can utilize bandwidth that is assigned to them...
i want to make 2 or 3 bandwidth policies and want users to utilize only their assigned bandwidth...

Any help in this regard be appreciated.
THANKS

MASOOD AHM

A:Bandwidth Policies in ISA 2000

I would look here -

http://www.isaserver.org

and look into bandwitdh use you can see ISA is more for blocking certain types of files downloaded or stopping people visiting sites. If you want bandwidth control that same link also shows a third party extension to the isa server called Bandwidth Splitter that seems to be more in tune with what you want to do.

http://www.isaserver.org/software/ISA/Bandwidth-Control/Bandwidth-Splitter/Comments/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bandwidth-policies-in-isa-2000.474924/
Relevancy 39.13%

I have a computer setup with local (NO DOMAIN) policies to enforce some rules, so that end users cant do certain things.

I would like to take those settings (done in gpedit.msc) and copy them and apply them to 2 other computers as well.

Does anyone know how to do so?
I know that MMC might be what i should look into, and i understand how to add the snap-in "Group Policy" and save all the settings. But then how do i get that imported on the next computer?
Any help would be great!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transfering-local-policies.474241/
Relevancy 39.13%

Hi.

I would like to change the "Disk Drive Policies" (see attached screenshot).

If I check the box "Enable write caching on disk" and "Enable advanced performance" and then click ok and after that I reopen the "Policies" again evrything is like it was before I made the changes.

Is there anything I can do in order that the changes I make will be accepted and won't jump back to the previous settings?

Thanks in advance,

A:Disk Drive Policies ?

Some disks don't expose external controls for modifying their cache settings. Note the text there in your screenshot - "This device does not allow its write cache setting to be modified."

The fact that you're still offered a functional tickbox is likely a UI issue, but that's of little consequence.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/226691-disk-drive-policies.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Hello,

I set up a Global Group Policy on our business Domain. I set the policy up to set the homepage, add trusted sites and custom level settings for IE. I used "User Configurations" in the Group Policy Editor, since this will apply to users.

Here is the problem: The problem happens when logging onto the domain. It seems that IF the the "Group Policy Editor" for this GPO is open, the settings will take effect at the user's login; however, if the "Group Policy Editor" is closed, the settings do NOT take effect when the user logs in. How weird is that? Do I have to keep the Group Policy Editor open on the screen the whole time for the policy to work???

I've looked at Microsoft's website, but I couldn't find anything specific on the issue (that is, if I ever find anything specific there).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/69564/global-group-policies/
Relevancy 39.13%

I am about to make the transition from dial-up to satellite and I had some questions about WildBlue's FAP: http://www.wildblue.com/legal/fair.jsp

It states there is a 7500mb monthly limit to your FAP. If I am searching the net, which means downloading images, or playing an online game, will my FAP be being used up?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fair-access-policies.546378/
Relevancy 39.13%

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. Each day I get a message that updates failed, with a 'Some settings are managed by your organization' message. I found a "fix" online that requires the use of gpedit.msc, but when I tried to run that I got a message "could not create the snap-in". This computer is stand-alone and has never been managed by any organization, so I am at a loss about what to do. Any help/ideas would be appreciated!

Dave

A:Can't update (due to group policies?)

Hello dkreines,
Welcome to tenforums.You can use Registry editor as an alternate to group policy Editor.More on this here:

How to Change Windows Update Settings When Disabled by Administrator?.
Hope that helps, feel free to get assistance regarding any other issue.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/38832-cant-update-due-group-policies.html
Relevancy 39.13%

I'm trying to setup a Win XP computer that basically has two user groups the full admin and general user access But the standard user groups which can be selected from the User Accounts within XP don't satisfy what I want I want to have the general user access to NOT install programs from removable media BUT allow them to use files from their USB drives The 'Limited User' that is currently setup also doesn't allow some USB Drives to be installed without an Admin password but does allow them to install a fairly large number of programs Is there Policies User Group a way to allow particular things to occur such as installation of USB Drives without admin priviledges and preventing installations from happening without admin priviledges Can it be done without having to purchase a copy of Windows Server as we don't have the finances to do so Just ask if you want require more information to help give a suitable response

A:User Group Policies

GPEDIT.MSC (Group Policy Editor) isn't available on XP Home Edition, partly because XP Home cannot join a domain by design. Although the took is designed to be used in an Enterprise environment running Active Directory, all it really does is making registry entries. So, the best alternative is to edit the registry using Regedit. Be aware that editing the registry incorrectly can make your system unbootable or cause other issues.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-group-policies-128866.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Hello!.... Here is my problem... I am trying to install Norton Ghost 2002 on my Windows XP Home Edition Computer and as soon as it starts trying to install the program, it will stop giving me the message, with an exclamation mark: "The System Administrator Has Set Policies to Prevent This Installation".
I am the one who installed the program, there is no other administrator. I went to the User Accounts area in Control Panel, and I don't see were I can do any changes regarding installation policies. Can you help me? Thanks!!!!

Relevancy 39.13%

Do anyone have idea about windows Vista local security policies settings? where are they located? If they are not with Windows Vista, where can I get them for my computer?

MY computer is windows home basic

I like these policies...

please help

A:Local Security Policies

Policies are set in many locations throughout the system, in files, and primarily in the registry.

There is no Microsoft Management Console in Home Basic, and so no way to use the Group Policy snap-in. It cannot be installed or used with Home Basic.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-security-policies.815301/
Relevancy 39.13%

My Toshiba Tecra came with preset power policies as normally accessed from Control Panel I ve added of my own When editing one of these to change quot close the lid quot from hibernate to standby I power policies Lost got a dialog box with a message that Lost power policies said approximately quot change levels incompatible quot After that only two power policies show quot home office desk quot and quot portable laptop quot I Lost power policies searched the registry for quot Toshiba power quot to find references to the custom profiles Toshiba loads I found profiles numbered to Lost power policies under HKEY CURRENT USER Control Panel PowerCfg PowerPolicies One of these number appears to be empty or blank Number is one I defined and deleted after the problem I d like to recover the use of these profiles I have a registry backup from about a week ago if that helps Anyone know what I need to do or where how to find out I have a registry backup from about a week ago nbsp

A:Lost power policies

Looking at it again, I also discovered that policy number 6 is missing altogether. 0 and 1 are the only ones showing. Is there somewhere that it finds the number of policies available, or does it just count them?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-power-policies.324757/
Relevancy 39.13%

Hello

I bought a pc vista yesterday.
I ran malewarebytes right away. It said a file was infected. A registry file ending with highjack proprieties. I read on a forum it was to be ignored. I clicked on ignore.

I opened malewarebytes today and clicked on the exclusion tab
It reads:
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\explorerBad (1) Good (0)

I did not put any file in the exclusions.
Do I have a virus doing things already?

thank you

A:policies/explorer/bad 1 good 0

Did the log have "0"s such as this?

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/210789/policiesexplorerbad-1-good-0/
Relevancy 39.13%

XP Pro offers a lot of settings for its auditing security networking and other features I would have thought Microsoft and perhaps even more so various security web-sites policies Import of secure would publish exported settings that would make a system super-secure semi-secure etc In other words a few setups ranging from quot your-bank-pc quot to quot your-secure-gaming-pc quot kinds of setups So far I only was able to find such settings at http www auditmypc com ipsec-policy asp So one question is - do people know if this is a trust-worthy site siteadvisor com seems to suggest it is but more confirmation would be nice Perhaps a more important question is did I miss similar settings published by other sites Do you have Import of secure policies any pointers I am being asked to setup a super-secure PC for banking purposes and ideally it would only have access to a limited set of banking sites and nothing else thus disabling any and all other Windows connectivity Any suggestions on this front would be greatly appreciated I did not find any way to limit internet access to just a given set of sites note - doing this at the browser level is not good enough since say a keylogger can use its own connectivity as needed to phone back to base but I guess something along the lines of above settings at least tries to turn off various other protocols features that I may not need Thank you for your pointers and thoughts

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/291204/import-of-secure-policies/
Relevancy 39.13%

Over the weekend we rolled out a new database that necessitated upgrading all the PC's to Access XP. In order to do that I first uninstalled every Office installation entirely and then reinstalled the complete package.

All went well except for one laptop. When the install begins the machine responds with the error message 'The System Administrator has set policies to prohibit this installation.' I've looked at the local policies but couldn't find anything that referenced installing software. Furthermore, I've logged on as a domain admin and also tried local admin and still I get the message.

I've asked our network admin if he's set anything and he said no. Anyone have any ideas about this? Very confusing.

Cheers.

A:Changing Local Policies in W2K

You can change the policies by going to:

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Local security Policy.

In order to change these you most have administrative rights to the computer. Also any domain polices you have in place override local polices.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-local-policies-in-w2k.106573/
Relevancy 38.7%

Ok Here it goes I work at an Elementary School as the computer tech network specialist I just recieved new dell optiplex GX s w XP Pro installed My question is I want to set it so that the students can NOT edit any of / system user profiles policies the settings or change anything I know you have to create a user profile and all of that but so far I ve had no luck using K or server I took all NT classes when I was in school I have set up a user and edited the system policies for that user restriciting all that I needed to but how do I get the new XP machines when they user profiles / system policies log on to look at that policy And are the NT policies and profiles compatable with XP I m not new to this it s just been so long user profiles / system policies since I ve completed my training that I ve forgotten how to do it all Any suggestions nbsp

A:user profiles / system policies

When you set them up an account do not give them admin priviledges. This will not allow them to install programs, delete windows for protected files etc with out admin priviledges. I also believe they will not be able to create a user profile, or any other computer functions.

You can then modify locally on each computer the privilages by typing
%SystemRoot%\system32\secpol.msc /s
in the run line

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profiles-system-policies.167103/
Relevancy 38.7%

Microsoft removes policies from Windows 10 Pro - gHacks Tech News
Pretty important not to mention, IMO. Some of us might want to defer Anniversary update because of this. Really pissed at MS right now.

A:Microsoft removes policies from Windows 10 Pro

Best thing about Windows is someone, somewhere will find a way around this.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/433494-microsoft-removes-policies-windows-10-pro.html
Relevancy 38.7%

Long story short, I made an edit in group policy so my daughters account could run Firefox.
Of course I did something wrong!

Now even logged on as admin I can't launch anything EXCEPT Firefox. Any ideas on how to get back in and reset GP?
Admin accounts are now restricted from running cmd.exe, gpedit.msc., system restore. etc. EVERYTHING!

Thanks!

A:Windows 7 assistance/Group Policies

Do you receive any error message while trying to access cmd.exe, gpedit.msc., system restore. etc?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-assistance-group-policies-621992.html
Relevancy 38.7%

Hi I have a very strange problem in my dell inspiron running win xp sp Registry editing and task manager have been disabled by restrictive policies that are executed at startup I worked my way using group policy editor gpedit msc but the changes show no effect on these policies They keep coming again and again no matter how many times i delete their registry keys Their location is HKCU Software Microsoft Windows Current Version Policies system and the keys are quot DisableRegistryTools quot and quot DisableTaskMgr quot I tried every known malware spyware adware remover found on the internet HJT ComboFix SmitFraudFix AVZ etc but these policies wont go away PS gpedit msc is now corrupt in my laptop because i messed with it and Kaspersky Antivirus doesnt run after installation The shell away wont Restrictive go explorer policies menu item quot Scan for Viruses quot is grayed out for no apparent reason Not even one AV software works properly in my yr old Dell lappy nbsp

Relevancy 38.7%

Having trouble doing anything, like connecting to internet and unistalling programs after upgrading to W10 and then back to W7

I am an Administrator and the message comes up and says
You do not have sufficient access..... when trying to uninstall MS Security Essentials

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-premium-administrator-policies.1156821/
Relevancy 38.7%

I was working on someones computer when I noticed you couldn t do certain things in internet explorer One example of this is using panda active scan When I try to click on scan now nothing happens I ve also noticed that sfc scannow denies me from running and throws some administrative error back However the user IS an administrator In her daughters account none of this happens How can I get to local security policies in Windows XP Home It is NOT listed under Adminstrative tools and does not exist when I goto run and type in secpol msc Is there any program or anything I can do to bring all security policies for this user back to default Some malicious program did this I m assuming because I cleaned out the computer before this happened I cannot post a Hijackthis log because the computer is not with me at the moment but I did have the owner check for any internet explorer restrictions and none are present nbsp

Relevancy 38.7%

Hi I hope I'm posting this in the right forum if not feel free to move it I Permissions, Corruption, Possible Policies... Hack, am the sole user of my desktop which has Windows Other than some freezes hangs and a very slow Firefox startup my browsing is otherwise smooth I have a few issues and hopefully you can triage me so to speak If you find something that is out of your scope kindly direct me elsewhere I don't think I have an active infection because I've run multiple scans using a variety of programs and they all come up clean rather it could be the after effects of malware and policies it implemented Emsisoft was the only program that found something - setting disabletaskmgr and setting disableregistrytool - which I deleted First I need to know whether I've been hacked Yesterday I stumbled upon the netstat exe tool and when I run it I see an IP address that isn't mine as well as a ton of active connections which concerns me because I am the only user There are entries for maconfig tcp and maconfig udp as programs my Firewall allows I can't find any information on what those entries are Corruption is Possible Hack, Corruption, Permissions, Policies... also a problem Windows Search - There are content source MAPI Event ID errors galore in my Event Viewer and I have to reset Windows Search on a daily basis Windows Media Player - the troubleshooter is worthless Corruption constantly present I've run sfc scannow a ton of times and it keeps giving me WRP has found corruption but cannot fix From looking at the log all but one of the corrupt files they found is in my sample music photo libraries I read about the sfcfix tool and am wondering if you may be able to make one for me Other error messages that concern me are NTFS error file system structure corrupt and unstable run chkdsk on volume shadow copy corrupted registry hive and registry file still in use Drivers - I have error messages for WPD FileSystem Volume Drivers and can't get them to update I should also mention that I used Namebench and changed my DNS server in hopes of achieving better speed Here is my FRST log and I've attached the Addition log Thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST x Version - - Ran by Joe administrator on JOE-PC - - Running from C Users Joe Desktop Mlwre Tools Loaded Profiles Joe Available Profiles Joe Platform Microsoft Windows Ultimate Service Pack X Language English United States Internet Explorer Version Default browser IE Boot Mode Normal Tutorial for Farbar Recovery Scan Tool http www geekstogo com forum topic -frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool NOTE I needed to delete the prior FRST log and rerun it Below pasted is the correct one I'm sorry for the inconvenience The additions log is the same so I didn't reenclose it Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST x Version - - Ran by Joe administrator on JOE-PC - - Running from C Users Joe Desktop Loaded Profiles Joe Available Profiles Joe Platform Microsoft Windows Ultimate Service Pack X Language English United States Internet Explorer Version Default browser IE Boot Mode Normal Tutorial for Farbar Recovery Scan Tool http www geekstogo com forum topic -frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool Processes Whitelisted If an entry is included in the fixlist the process will be closed The file will not be moved Emsisoft Ltd C Program Files Emsisoft Anti-Malware a service exe AVAST Software C Program Files AVAST Software Avast AvastSvc exe Andrea Electronics Corporation C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA AERTSrv exe Malwarebytes Corporation C Program Files Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit mbae-svc exe Malwarebytes C Program Files Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamscheduler exe Malwarebytes C Program Files Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice exe Malwarebytes C Program Files Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbam exe Realtek Semiconductor C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RtHDVCpl exe AVAST Software C Program Files AVAST Software A... Read more

A:Possible Hack, Corruption, Permissions, Policies...

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.
To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:
*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/594336 <<< CLICK THIS LINK
If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.
***************************************************If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new FRST log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.
Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.
We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download FRST by Farbar from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.FRST Download LinkWhen you go to the above page, there will be 32-bit and 64-bit downloads available. Please click on the appropriate one for your version of Windows. If you are unsure as to whether your Windows is 32-bit or 64-bit, please see this tutorial.Double click on the FRST icon and allow it to run. Agree to the usage agreement and FRST will open. Do not make any changes and click on the Scan button. Notepad will open with the results. Post the new logs as explained in the prep guide. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/594336/possible-hack-corruption-permissions-policies/
Relevancy 38.7%

On a Windows Server environment I created a question Policies' pushing 'Group A about new trusting Domain A and trusted Domain B to it There exists a Group Policy Users and Computers on both Domains A and B The problem is If a user of Domain A logs onto the Windows XP stations which are members of Domain A the Group policy that I created for Domain A users and computers gets executed BUT when a user of Domain B authenticates to Domain B via trusting Domain A A question about pushing 'Group Policies' he neither gets Domain A nor Domain B Group policy loaded though the login is sucessful and all the logon scripts user profiles etc are working fine I manually added Domain B users to Security settings of GP on Dom A with apply group policy settings marked still of no avail Authenticated users are already part of GPO I even tried totally disabling Group Policy on Domain a but still for users of Dom A question about pushing 'Group Policies' B the policy settings won t flow this side of the trusting domain Would anyone give me a clue nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/a-question-about-pushing-group-policies.398896/
Relevancy 38.7%

Hello,

we have our own tool, that check some rules in source code.
This tool returns true when code is ok, or false if some rules are broken.
It's possbile to attach our tool to check-in policies in visual studio?
How can we do this?
regards
cyberjoe

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-utilize-our-own-tool-to-check-in-policies.533477/