Windows Support Forum

False "Low Battery Alarm" with after-market battery - Dell Studio

Q: False "Low Battery Alarm" with after-market battery - Dell Studio

Hello Sorry for being away from posting on the forum since a long time though I have been visiting the forum lot many times without logging in - mainly through with Battery "Low after-market Studio False - Alarm" Dell battery Google search That shows how effective the website False "Low Battery Alarm" with after-market battery - Dell Studio really is Since some time a very persistent error has been bothering me and I thought it best to come here and post the issue After my original battery for my Dell Studio -bit computer False "Low Battery Alarm" with after-market battery - Dell Studio died I replaced batteries thrice one after another the computer is five years old The three replacement batteries were Dell - False "Low Battery Alarm" with after-market battery - Dell Studio exact replacement Wh LB - matching specs but Wh Dell - exact replacement Wh Since the second replacement battery the Low Battery Alarm has been disturbing me each time that The computer is restarted with the main power disconnected The main power jack is removed after a charge The main power jack is removed anytime Since in the first place I never set this alarm manually I am assuming there could either be a Dell specific registry issue with after-market batteries though I don't understand why Either way the irritant must go I checked Advanced Power Options under Power Scheme but found nothing that would give me a hint of what's wrong The alarm screenshot is attached Any help would be welcome

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: False "Low Battery Alarm" with after-market battery - Dell Studio

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: False "Low Battery Alarm" with after-market battery - Dell Studio

Rule out the OS and Drivers by downloading a Linux LiveCD and booting from that See if you get the same errors/alarms/warnings.
If you do it could be a faulty charging circuit in your laptop. Check with Dell and see if they have a battery calibration tool. Sometimes completely running the battery flat a couple of times does a "reset" kind of thing.
Sorry I can't think of anything else just now.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/349284-false-low-battery-alarm-after-market-battery-dell-studio.html
Relevancy 94.24%

Hi I am writing this as I have hopelessly tried all methods found online without success I have an XPS bought in France I move to Singapore and my original DELL AC adapter was spoiled So I went to the nearest store and bought a third party adapter Everything works out fine for a while Now my laptop won t charge "plugged 15 but - in not Battery, battery disabled Built in XPS Dell charged", anymore stuck at nbsp My laptop only turn on if it is plugged under ac adapter nbsp When I unplug the ac adapter my laptop turn off When I turn on my laptop it says quot this battery charging is temporarily disabled press F for entering BIOS Menu quot nbsp In BIOS Dell XPS 15 - Built in Battery, "plugged in but not charged", battery disabled under battery health it is said quot this battery Dell XPS 15 - Built in Battery, "plugged in but not charged", battery disabled is temporarily disabled please turn off the computer and try again when the unit is back to operational temperature quot nbsp I have this problem systematically my laptop is not heated I even bring it to a repair shop here in Singapore but they do not even have the parts to test nbsp Please help nbsp I am willing to buy a new battery or new adapter but I am not even sure if that s the problem Thank you

A:Dell XPS 15 - Built in Battery, "plugged in but not charged", battery disabled

Please list exact Dell model and version of windows. Example: Dell XPS 9550, windows 10

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19963068
Relevancy 82.77%

My Dell inspiron 3542 laptop had a very good battery life(>6 hours), but today morning it showed an error message saying  "Battery has experienced permanent failure and needs to be replaced." I updated the BIOS from A3 to A10, but it didn't help! The PC starts only if its plugged in and the battery charge is constant at 82%. What should I do?

A:Battery not charging, message says "Battery has experienced permanent failure"

Hello SHUBHAMSINGH.ARARIA,
It's quite possible your battery did suffer a failure; the Lithium-Ion chemical reaction may (which produces electricity) have finally broken down.
First thing to try is to run Dell's diagnostics. When you first power it on, press F2 to run the ePSA Diagnostics & see if any failures occurred.
Have you tried powering the laptop on with the power cord and battery, then once it's loaded removing the power cord to see if it stays on?
Another thing to try: remove the power cord & battery from the laptop, then hold the power button down for about 10 seconds. Then reconnect the power cord, power it on, then reconnect the battery.
From here, once it's on, you can try removing the battery again to see if it stays powered on or leave the cord connected to see if the battery begins charging.

Hope this helps!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19983254
Relevancy 81.22%

Good Evening All,

I having a problem with my Dell Latitude D610.

I went to update the BIOS and it said that the battery is not installed despite the laptop running solely off of battery power!

I have ran the dell device diagnostic and device manager and no issue appears to be with the battery. When you check the battery info in the BIOS settings it says the batteries are not installed and also when you log into XP it constantly says running off of AC power even when its not plugged in!

Any one got any ideas what could be causing this and how it can be solved?

Thanks Nick

A:Dell Latitude "battery not installed" preventing BIOS update

It may be referring to the CMOS battery which is wired to the computer beneath the keyboard. The battery can be replaced for $8.95 to $29.95 depending on where you purchase...

But regardless, you do have a problem that must be resolved. The D610 has been one strange little irrelevant problem after another... but you cannot afford to irritate it and have that mysterious unremovable password appear as it has on so many D610 and D620 Dells.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-latitude-battery-not-installed-preventing-bios-update.135990/
Relevancy 81.22%

Hello,
I own a Dell Inspiron 15R 5537, bought on Feb 1, 2014. 
As the title says, I get the error: "Your Battery has experienced a permanent failure and needs to be replaced." It also comes on QuickSet. The Battery is stuck at 86% and isn't charging nor discharging. I can only operate via AC power supply which seems to work fine.
I've updated BIOS and checked and it shows the same error message for battery whereas BIOS shows AC power supply is working fine.
I've pretty much tried all the methods suggested in the other posts related to this issue in the forum(s) and still it isn't resolved. The Battery light flashes Red continuously when the battery is plugged.
So is there any other thing I can do? Or should I replace under warranty? And how long is the warranty valid in India?
Battery Type: MR90Y 65 Wh
Thank you!
Nithish

A:Dell Battery Type MR90Y "has experienced a permanent failure and needs to be replaced"

The battery is warranted for 12 months - call Dell and have it replaced.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19588094
Relevancy 80.91%

I have a Dell OptiPlex GX110 that produces the message "F1 to retry, F2 to Enter Setup" every few boots intermittently. I looked up a few websites and they said that the BIOS battery may have died.

I replaced the battery CR2032 with a new battery and thought that all was going well until on about the tenth boot (a cold boot), the dreaded "F1 to retry, F2 to Enter Setup" message came up again.

I've ruled out the battery so what am I looked at replacing the BIOS chip or the board or what. I only have BIOS version A05, will upgrading to A09 help - I dont see how it should.
There have been no hardware changes at all by the way.

thanks,

A:Dell OptiPlex GX110 "F1 to retry, F2 to Enter Setup" after new BIOS battery install.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-optiplex-gx110-f1-to-retry-f2-to-enter-setup-after-new-bios-battery-install.512979/
Relevancy 80.91%

This new Dell Inspiron 11 3147 just arrived today.
The AC Adapter is "plugged in" but the battery is "not charging."
I've looked all over for help for this, Dell Diagnostic has found no problem, and I've had trouble getting a hold of customer service. The most commonly suggested idea has been to uninstall and reinstall the Microsoft ACPI Complian Control Method Battery driver, which I have done.
The only thing I haven't messed with is the battery itself, which doesn't seem to be accessible without damaging the back, which is screwed on and secured well.
Any idea what's wrong?

A:Dell Inspiron 11 3147 Battery "Not Charging"

Update to my below post:
One day later, after the battery fully charged and all was well, I come back and it is back to the message "plugged in, not charging". I might see if reflashing the bios and rebooting will work again.
My original post on Dec 8, 2014:
I had this problem until this morning. In short, I updated the bios to Version A03,A03 (released Dec 2, 2014). Before that I did all the googling and messing about without success. Here's what to do:
1. Run "My Dell". You can access this by type Ctrl-Esc and then type in "My Dell" and clicking on the "My Dell" icon that comes up.
2. Click on the green "Drivers and Updates" panel. This should open a product support browser window.
3. Scroll down to the bottom beneath the section that says "These drivers match your selections" and click on the arrow next to "Bios"
4. Click on "Download file". Close all your other applications and run the file and follow the prompts. It will reboot for you at the end and the problem should be solved.
Good luck!
Ben
Version A03,A03

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19596307
Relevancy 80.91%

I ve seen a lot of posts about Dell laptops suddenly losing battery power But I ve not found a post with my particular question Several weeks ago when running on battery only my computer started going into hibernate mode without any warning The battery icon in the system tray would show the battery to be almost fully charged but after about minutes the working"? battery Dell good E1505 - "not hibernate would occur I usually use it with A C power Last night when I removed the power cord the computer suddenly lost all power as if there were no battery installed When I look at the battery meter Fn F It shows charged and the quot battery health quot tab says my battery is performing normally Additionally when I remove the battery and push the little battery icon on it all LEDs light up indicating that there are no dead cells If I push and hold the button for seconds no LEDs light up which supposedly means the battery is healthy I appreciate any suggestions I m running Windows XP SP and using a wireless network nbsp

A:Dell E1505 - good battery "not working"?

Your laptop Dell E1505 sounds as though it may have either a motherboard or just contacts issue

Regarding the contacts, make sure both the battery and if possible, the motherboard contacts to the battery are clean (usually blowing out all dust)

Regarding the motherboard, firstly check the warranty status and also have a look at extending expired warranty. As this does sound like a hardware fault.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-e1505-good-battery-not-working.100386/
Relevancy 80.6%

hi
last night i was working on my laptop, i realize my battery is low. so, i put it for charging..after a while i realized the battery is 75% charged so I disconnect it. and my laptop switches off.
later the laptop refused to turn on...so i reconnected the charger and the laptop turned on with the light that displays charging status (white light near the  screen-keyboard intersection) starts flickering in a cycle of 5 times...4 times orange and 1 time white...and this cycle continues till i use the laptop.
and this message is displayed when i go to BATTERY HEALTH option "Your battery is temporarily disabled. Please turn off your computer and try again when the unit is back to the operational temperature" my laptop is outta warranty...what should i do ? kindly help

A:Dell XPS 15z : "Your battery is temporarily disabled. Please turn off your computer and try again when the unit is back to the operational temperature"

hchentanshankar,
Welcome to the community.
I am sorry to read that you are having this trouble.  The battery failing is the most likely culprit but you should check to see if there are any problems with either the notebook or Ac adapter before rushing out and replacing the battery.
I would start by checking the bios, start the system tapping F2 to enter the bios, you can also tap F12 and choose bios from the menu.  Once in the bios look for the option for AC adapter warnings, if they are disabled enable them and save changes. If there is a problem with the adapter you should start getting errors about the adapter.
If the Adapter seems alright, disconnect the battery from the system and power down the notebook.  Wait an hour or so and then replace the battery and restart the system and see if you continue to get the message.   If you can run the notebook on battery only allow the battery to fully discharge and then charge it again and see if the problem returns.
I know that this may not be possible short of buying a new battery but if possible try a power adapter and battery and see if the problem continues.  This way you can find out if the problem follows the battery the ac adapter or the notebook.
Please let me know what you find out.
TB

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19512551
Relevancy 110.08%

Okay, so I've been having a few programs with my computer...this including slowness, poor wifi connections, and odd performance of wacom tablets.

The problems with a tablet are described in more detail here--> http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/1...ml#post1658350

Recently, before I signed into windows, a message on a black screen popped up stating something about my internal battery needing to be replaced. I'm on an HP pavilion laptop // HP pavilion entertainment PC.

Could the problems I mentioned above be related to the battery? I desperately need to be able to use my tablets for my major in college, and are majorly concerned with how they've been acting poorly with my laptop...could just replacing the battery work?

Also, would the 'internal battery' still be the battery that is capable of being removed from the laptop? Or does a laptop of two batteries?

A:"Internal battery" notices..what problems could a low battery cause?

This is the CMOS battery it is talking about. It should be replaced asap. But this is not a do it yourself job in a laptop. Better have some expert deal with it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/197857-internal-battery-notices-what-problems-could-low-battery-cause.html
Relevancy 110.08%

Hi there I ve been having a problem with my charger for a while now but it wasn t serious until recently A month or two ago my charger went from working completely normally to suddenly not being "no and then is charging battery detected" in/not battery plugged recognised This wasn t a big deal however because by holding the charger a certain way to the left kind of twisted or bringing it underneath the battery plugged in/not charging and then "no battery is detected" laptop it would charge like normally For the past few weeks however a notice has been popping up saying quot The AC power adaptor type can not be determined quot and then that follows up with a message underneath that stating that I should use a dell charger this is the original dell charger we got with the laptop quot This message however didn t matter back then because by twisting the charger a bit it would charge and so the message was irrelevant and would only pop up when the charger was plugged in and not twisted as far as I can remember Over the past couple of days though i ve noticed for my battery sign to sometimes randomly change to an X and when you hover over it it says quot no battery detected quot It will then randomly a second or two or a few minutes later switch to quot plugged in not charging quot and then to quot plugged in charging quot fluctuating randomly and for different intervals of time between these signs This as well wasn t much of a problem as my laptop was still charging at times and therefore I knew it wouldn t run out Now however the quot plugged in charging quot has completely disappeared and it fluctuates between quot plugged in not charging quot and quot battery not detected quot My charge at the moment is on so i m getting worried Ofc when the charger isn t held positioned a certain way it still doest recognise it and therefore works as it normally would without a charger the charge decreasing Do you possible know why this could be happening Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - U CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R HD Graphics Family Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc G Antivirus Kaspersky Internet Security Updated and Enabled nbsp

A:battery plugged in/not charging and then "no battery is detected"

What is the exact model of Dell laptop you have? Look underneath on the label for Model information
For Dells of that time period, you must use a genuine Dell replacement AC adapter or you will get the reduced performance at startup message.... the Dell adapters so I have read, have a chip inside that informs the BIOS of the laptop that they are indeed, genuine Dell adapters.

Read about this issue here- and especially about the little test you can do before your power is all gone- you should do it just once, and I think you will get the "Unknown" message....

http://www.laptop-junction.com/toast/content/inside-dell-ac-power-adapter-mystery-revealed

Note that there is more than just one thing that can be wrong- the motherboard, the adapter chip, the power jack.... Please do NOT attempt the adapter repair at that site.... The power jacks can be replaced by a good repair shop that does soldering on motherboards.

test yours and if you do need a Dell AC adapter they can still be found but it does take some hunting since a LOT of helpful sales sites claim "Genuine Dell Replacements" but I have tried some of those and they did not work but when a real Dell AC adapter was connected, that BIOS message disappeared.

look on the label of the LAPTOP and see what AC Adapter watt rating ....ex: 65watt or 90w..... yours calls for and purchase the correct model.

I can help you find a genuine Dell if needed but test things first. Hope you can do this before the battery is all gone.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/battery-plugged-in-not-charging-and-then-no-battery-is-detected.1149431/
Relevancy 110.08%

Hi problem: detected" battery is "No Laptop battery everyone My laptop battery seemed like it had loads of life left in it but one day Laptop battery problem: "No battery is detected" it just suddenly stopped working and my laptop started saying quot no battery is detected quot I contacted the insurance people and they came over to check that the battery was dead and that it wasn't a problem with my laptop itself They confirmed that I just needed a new battery and sent me a new one Now with the new battery in it is saying the exact same thing quot no battery is detected quot and only working off power from the charger If I take the battery out and then put it back in again the laptop says quot plugged in and charging quot for a few seconds before switching back to saying quot no battery is detected quot and completely ignoring the battery I know that the problem must be with the laptop and not the battery so does anybody know how I can fix this problem Thanks

A:Laptop battery problem: "No battery is detected"

Hi and welcome to TSF please try removing the battery and the ac adapter and hold down the power button for 45 secs then try booting with the battery alone

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-battery-problem-no-battery-is-detected-644309.html
Relevancy 107.5%

Hi everyone I would like to ask if anyone could please help me with the following situation On a Windows XP media Center edition Version SP machine the quot A squared quot http www emsisoft com en software free malware scanner said that quot D i apps app imgvemver exe quot was an adware file It listed it as quot Adware maxifiles f quot The quot D quot drive appears to be a partitioned section of the hard drive that is used to archive the system restore files Windows warned to not delete or change any files there I left the file alone I am guessing this might be a total false positive I guess I should report it to A squared but I wanted to get some feedback because I am completely new to XP I did an internet search for quot Imgvemver quot but nothing turned up and that s what false regarding Questions squared" malware scanner alarm possible with "A makes me wonder Spybot Lavasoft adaware Microsoft anti-spyware AVG and the Ewido scanners all missed this Questions regarding possible false alarm with "A squared" malware scanner if it really is something to worry about I turned on the quot show hidden files quot option but windows would not let me see what is on the quot D quot drive and I did a search for imgvemver and quot img quot on the D drive and nothing Questions regarding possible false alarm with "A squared" malware scanner turned up I would appreciate any feedback I don t really know whether to remove it or leave it alone The treat was listed as quot medium quot Thanks for your help John nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/questions-regarding-possible-false-alarm-with-a-squared-malware-scanner.431792/
Relevancy 105.35%

I don't even have a battery in my SONY VAIO VGN AR250G and, for the last few days, the "battery charging" light keeps blinking. I know I made some sort of setting change related to the dimming of the monitor last week, but don't remember what it was. That MAY or MAY NOT be related. Please advise.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/battery-charging-light-on-without-battery.648522/
Relevancy 105.35%

I have a Dell XPS L X laptop Ive never spent so much money on a Recommended" "Battery with my not battery Problems is laptop before this and the reason I did was because I thought the more expensive the computer the better it will be I have had nothing but problems with it Ive had to send it to get fixed multiple times costing Problems with my battery "Battery is not Recommended" me hundreds of dollars Everyone warned me not to get a Dell everyone I know tried steering me in a different direction and now I understand why When you need help you cant even ask them a question without having to pay for it COINCIDENTALLY something always goes wrong immediately after my warranties expire This may just be the final straw because if somethings wrong with it I m just going to smash it in a fit of anger and use my refund to buy a nice one Right now when I turn it on it says quot Warning Battery Not Recommended for This System the system will be unable to charge this battery quot WHAT IS IT NOW If there isn t a way to fix this I m trashing it I ve poured way too much money into this computer I m a single working mom all I want is a laptop that works I m the only one who is ever on this laptop and I only use it once every few days for work or school it sits on my desk and doesnt move yet I have more problems with this than with the - laptops I ve owned So Dell are you going to maintain your reputation for having lt ADMIN NOTE Substitute character removed as per TOU gt computers and horrible customer service or can you actually help me

A:Problems with my battery "Battery is not Recommended"

I have a warning: The battery is not recommended for this system, the system will be unable to charge this battery. But this is the battery that came with the Laptop.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19563255
Relevancy 104.06%

I had a call for help from a friend "Ransomware" false alarm? a little while ago From the description of his problem over the phone it sounded like he was almost certainly infected with some sort of ransom-ware virus He was "Ransomware" false alarm? getting a pop-up telling him that the machine was quot blocked quot and that he had to come up with to get the key to removing the block I told him that is personal files were unrecoverable under any circumstances other than possibly by paying the ransom but that I might be able to clear the virus that caused the problem I had intended to have a look at the problem first hand in the morning In the mean time I suggested that he should update and run Malewarebytes to see what it turned up He just called back and informed me that a full scan with Malewarebytes didn t turn up anything but that following an reboot when the scan finished the machine seems to be running normally He verified that he can open his personal files photos I think I am far from being ready to believe that his machine is clean and that his problems are over and still am planning to give it a good going over So I m not seeking help yet for cleaning up whatever problems the machine may have but I would like to know whether this sort of apparent false alarm is symptomatic of a known virus Second I would like hear what people think about the risk of importing an infection from a compromised machine I keep a flash stick full of maintenance and diagnostic tools and I d be very reluctant to plug it into a machine that was infected with any sort of ransom maleware or connecting that machine to my own network nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ransomware-false-alarm.1137180/
Relevancy 98.47%

Tech Support Guy System Info battery charge Studio cannot 1555 Dell Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Dell Studio 1555 cannot charge battery Pentium R Dual-Core CPU T GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Dell Studio 1555 cannot charge battery Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD Mb Hard Drives C Dell Studio 1555 cannot charge battery Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc C M Antivirus McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Updated and Enabled Hi If anyone could shed some light on what may be wrong I d really appreciate it When I start my computer I get an error message stating that my battery is unable to charge and the AC adapter type is not recognised I have read about this being a problem with Bios and have tried the CMD-- gt quot cd desktop quot -- gt quot A exe forceit quot that is spoken about in forums to no avail Wondering if there is a problem with the battery as I bought a new charger and that hasn t changed the situation either If you need further info to help me out please message me back Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 97.18%

Ihave a dell laptop computer studio 1749 it is about 5 years old the battery is getting very hot is there anyway I can run this laptop from the electric plug and bypassing the battery as I am retired and money short I really do not want to have to pay out big money for a new battery dell said they are arround $ 200.00 I had the motherboard replaced about 2 years ago everything else seems to be in good working order I am running windows 7 64 bit . or should I ditch this computer and see if I can get a new cheap laptop any advice or help would be greatly appreciated
present battery is dell M905pose Lion lithiumion serial # 7777.

A:battery problem with dell studio 1749 laptop

You should be able to take the battery out and run it directly from the power cord.

See this to help - ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-prod...o_laptop/studio-1749_Service Manual_en-us.pdf

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/battery-problem-with-dell-studio-1749-laptop.1128960/
Relevancy 96.32%

The other day my battery decided to go on battery charging/adapter not Studio 1749 Dell error me Half of the time it works albeit charges Dell Studio 1749 battery not charging/adapter error insanely slowly or it acts as if it s at a charge and puts my laptop into sleep mode To top this off my wall charger doesn t seem to register with the laptop as plugged in anymore It has a small light ring to show when it is plugged up or not and it seems that the laptop won t charge even when it shows it is clearly connected to the adapter Now another symptom it goes through is the light on the adapter turning on when plugged into the laptop but then off when removed It s somewhat old at this point but it has never done this before Any ideas on what to do I m running Windows I apologize for the lack of formatting Having to type this up on my phone while riding around isn t helping me any nbsp

A:Dell Studio 1749 battery not charging/adapter error

Its either a power supply problem of some sort or the a/c adapter and battery might have to both be replaced and see if that helps any.i know on my dell computers when the batteries have problems they start blinking orange and blue constantly.which usually means they have had it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-studio-1749-battery-not-charging-adapter-error.1120884/
Relevancy 95.46%

Hi everyone My name is Tarun I have been facing an issue with my newly purchased battery I did not use my laptop for an year or so because my battery was dead and i didn't even remove that dead battery from the laptop it was kept inserted for an year A few days ago I purchased a new battery When I turned on my laptop with the new battery and tried to charge it I saw its charged percentage as Studio charging doesnt when even 1558 | it charge battery shows Dell I thought that it will be fully charged within an hour or so but it didn't Although when I hover the mouse on the battery icon right bottom under the tray it displays the message as available plugged in CHARGING Please note i wrote quot charging quot To my surprise percentage Dell Studio 1558 | battery doesnt charge even when it shows charging of quot battery charging quot never increases I do not know what's wrong with it Adapter works fine windows runs fine everything seems to be working fine I discussed with a naive person who repairs laptops He wasnt sure of the fault but he guessed that that there could be a problem with charging IC I didn't agree with him because of two reasons st- he is a naive person nd- If charging IC has a problem then it shouldn't have displayed the message quot plugged in CHARGING quot I am pretty much frsutrated and dissappointed Could someone please help me and let me know what should be can be done thanks amp regards Tarun Bajpai

A:Dell Studio 1558 | battery doesnt charge even when it shows charging

Take the battery back to where you bought it!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/300878-dell-studio-1558-battery-doesnt-charge-even-when-shows-charging.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hello,
My Dell Studio XPS 8100 desktop restarted after a blue screen error and now won't boot.
These are two screens I'm presented with when I switch on the computer.
I'm able to enter the different options offered to me, I've run the diagnostics including the extended memory tests but it couldn't find any problems.
I've seen a few threads with similar problems but there seem to be so many different approaches and causes, I didn't want to do or replace the wrong thing.
Any help will be vastly appreciated!
Many thanks.

A:Dell Studio XPS 8100 - "No boot device available"

You must run the Custom Extended Hard drive tests, not memory tests. My guess is your hard drive has failed.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19986056
Relevancy 95.03%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium bit Processor Intel R Core TM i CPU M GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics 1425 Dell "plugged in, Studio charging" not Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD v Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc VF FR A L K CN D Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated and Enabled Yesterday I had a Dell service onsite service technician come to my house to work on my computer He replaced my palm rest keyboard touchpad and mousebuttons and my WLAN card had a V key missing left mouse button was not working and was having issues with high-bandwidth internet connectivity Since he replaced these my computer has stopped being able to charge Unfortunately I did not notice this until after he left My first question is would Dell be willing to help me with this issue Dell Studio 1425 "plugged in, not charging" My warranty expired August rd and I opened the previous warranty service before it expired So far I have flashed my bios deleted and redownloaded the driver for the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery in the Device Manager shut off my computer without the battery and wiggled the charging jack to check whether it was a connection issue and I have used an identical charger to the one I have None of these have caused any change Any help would truly be appreciated Thanks so much Dan nbsp

A:Dell Studio 1425 "plugged in, not charging"

More than likely the laptop battery will have to be replaced.you can get an exact replacement from dell but i doubt any warranty will cover it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-studio-1425-plugged-in-not-charging.1014677/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi all First off thank you for reading Please help if you do know a fix and if not thank you for looking I am posting here to see if I simply need to set a setting differently A desktop computer I built for a friend who also had me build one for his friend is having issues in, plugged A desktop, Solved: error? battery gives level" "critical with one to two random reboots a day I had him take a photo of the error message that he was getting Here it is Here is the link if the photo doesn t work for you http i photobucket Solved: A desktop, plugged in, gives "critical level" battery error? com albums o sparsons DSCF jpg This computer shows a battery icon that is Solved: A desktop, plugged in, gives "critical level" battery error? full in the tray in the lower right That seems weird since it is plugged in however I read somewhere that if a comp has a UPS plugged in that Vista shows the Solved: A desktop, plugged in, gives "critical level" battery error? battery level on the computer It did it s reboot thing when I was there once and the UPS beeps twice and the light turns orange Funny thing is though with this recovery thing running it just brings windows back up just like a temporary blip in service It def powers down though So my initial thought is well it s gotta be the backup power supply So I had him plug into a surge protector that was connected to the wall for a day to see if he got reboots and he did So that tested to see if it gives a battery error even if the computer is plugged into the wall and it does This shouldn t be a CMOS battery problem because it happens everyday and works fine in the inbetween but am I wrong The real kicker with all of this is that the other computer works FINE and is almost identical in every way So what is that all about My first thing I am going to test is the RAM Then the PSU and then the graphics card However I am sneakily suspicious of this computer runnning on Vista Ultimate and think that I might have an OS problem So here are the specs i - EVGA E -TR -Way SLI GB total x G SKILL DDR model F - CL T- GBNQ - Plextor DVD drives with light scribe PNY Quadro FX MB GDDR workstation video card Corsair W PSU Runs dual monitors hooked up to a Va Watt UPS - Seagate Barracuda TB drives What do you think oh gracious Tech Support Guys Gals Sincerely Sam nbsp

A:Solved: A desktop, plugged in, gives "critical level" battery error?

Update! It rebooted when plugged into a power bar, AND when the USB cable was still attached to it. He is testing without the USB connected.

So without the power connected to UPS, but with the data connected, it still messed up.

Does this help?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-a-desktop-plugged-in-gives-critical-level-battery-error.901412/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi I have an older PC which I gave to my mum It originally ran Vista but I bought and installed Windows Ultimate around weeks ago after it had been inactive for months It was running great but a couple of weeks ago it just started hanging for no real reason Also at startup it would say that the computer had not been shut down properly even if it had This was only when it was switched off at the wall not after checksum defaults loaded" replaced error battery after - "cmos a restart or when the PC was left plugged in and switched on She only "cmos checksum error - defaults loaded" after battery replaced uses the PC to look at You Tube and some webcams from her grandkids and that s it she s not very computer literate Initially I left Windows repair to run overnight but when I looked at it the following morning it was still in the repair screen so I assume it had hung I spoke to a local repair shop and they suggested I test the RAM test the hard drive and replace the CMOS battery The RAM and hard drive checks went without any errors and after I replaced the battery the hanging stopped I played with the computer all evening and shut it down as normal and switched it off at the wall Next day I thought I would start it up just to check it and I was faced with a quot cmos checksum error - defaults loaded quot message I thought that was strange but maybe the battery was dead so I swapped it over with one from my perfectly working desktop to try it out and my desktop worked fine but after shutting down my mum s one it had the same problem when power was pulled So battery was ruled out Incidentally I will say that I reset the BIOS date and time every time I was faced with the error following up with a save and exit It worked fine until I unplugged the computer I then moved on to the BIOS and set it back to default and the same again After this opened the case and used the jumpers to reset the BIOS to default again but no difference My mum will not leave it switched on at the wall constantly in case it self-combusts same with her washing machine TV lamps etc otherwise I would just do that and ignore it Is there anything else someone can suggest that I try System Shop bought by Mesh Motherboard is an ASUS PSN-E SLI gb Ram - samsung gb hard drive - ASUS Thanks for any help nbsp

A:"cmos checksum error - defaults loaded" after battery replaced

I must add that the PC is the same as when I bought it new from the shop, except for adding a Creative Labs sound card (approx 2012) and installing Windows 7 (around 6 weeks ago). All Windows updates are downloaded and installed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cmos-checksum-error-defaults-loaded-after-battery-replaced.201304/
Relevancy 95.03%

A while back I came across a site where laptop batteries were rebuilt [cells replaced] and you returned your "old" battery in the same packaging that the rebuilt battery was shipped in.

The pricing was very good [under $100 average] and solved disposal of the old battery.

Is this "ringing a bell with anybody ???" I thought I bookmarked this site, now I can't find it.

A:Solved: Laptop Battery Exchange - "Core Credit"

F.Y.I.

Found the answer on a notebook forum.

http://www.batteryrefill.com/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-laptop-battery-exchange-core-credit.594896/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hello,

Whenever I run my computer plugged into power, it runs perfectly as expected. But as soon as I unplug the computer, its performance dramatically decreases. This is extremely noticeable in games.

I have ensured it is on the "High Performance" mode, and have checked the advanced settings for this mode to ensure that it is the same for both battery and plugged-in.

My graphics card provides no options for its operation in battery mode, so I am now stumped.

I don't have anything running either, my anti-virus is disabled and I am running only system critical processes (apart from the application/game that is running ever so laggy).

My graphics driver is the latest MobileForce driver (since nVidia hasn't released one for my card in Vista...). It works excellently when plugged in.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/high-performance-mode-is-laggy-when-running-on-battery.603440/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi I installed Vista B on my Toshiba Equium L Notebook and although the installation went well and Vista works SMART Subsystem" for Battery Missing "Microsoft drivers fine I did notice that there was Missing drivers for "Microsoft SMART Battery Subsystem" no quot Battery Icon quot in the systray so I would not know when my notebook battery was running low and this was clearly evident when I was using the L and it suddenly just turned off without any prior warning - the battery was flat Upon checking in Device Manager I noticed that there was no quot Batteries quot entry under quot Computer quot The Batteries entry should have had quot Microsoft SMART Battery quot amp quot Microsoft SMART Battery Subsystem quot but none of this was visible I noticed that urther down there Missing drivers for "Microsoft SMART Battery Subsystem" was Missing drivers for "Microsoft SMART Battery Subsystem" an quot Unknown Device quot After checking the properties of the unknown device I found that it has to do with the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Embedded Controller and after searching around the internet other users of various notebook manufacturer's are having the same problem and the unknown device is the Microsoft SMART Battery and Subsystem Windows XP has support for this hardware but clearly Vista does not Can anyone help with this problem and also tell me when MS SMART Battery amp MS SMART Battery Subsystem will be supported by Vista There must be thousands of users across the world who are experiencing the same issues and I would have thought that Microsoft would have released a driver for this hardware on Windows Update and certainly should be including it with Vista RC Regards Brave Heart

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f5c4516e-d04a-4da3-a1ce-c34f7ef132bf/missing-drivers-for-quotmicrosoft-smart-battery-subsystemquot?forum=itprovistahardware
Relevancy 95.03%

Got a PC in the office that on a daily basis, although not at every boot up, gives the following alert...

System Battery Voltage is Low. Strike F1 to continue, F2 to Run the set up utility

In the set up utiltity, Power Management option, the settings are as follows:

Suspend Mode F3
AC Power Recovery OFF
Low Power Mode DISABLED

Don't know if any of these setting are relevant, but I thought I'd include them anyway.

Can the system battery voltage issue be sorted through set up utility or is it a case of replacing a piece of hardwar e.g. system battery?

PC is a Dell 8300 series with Windows 2000Pro

A:Solved: Boot up alert - "System Battery Voltage is Low"

I wpould suggest opening your pc and locate the CMOS battery. i looks like a big clock battery on your motherboard. press down the battery with one of you fingers to ensure the battery is properly seated. obviously ensure that the pc is turned off before doing so. if this does not resolve you problem, i would suggest replacing the battery.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-boot-up-alert-system-battery-voltage-is-low.518750/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi there,
I have some serious trouble with my Latitude E5540. In Windows (10, 64bit), it says that it's working on AC, but does not charge. It stays at 39%.
I've done some reading on the Internet and found several approaches which I followed. I updated BIOS and cleaned the connectors of the battery, which obviously didn't help.
Now, I've really run out of ideas and cannot come up with anything more. I've contacted Dell support, but I guess they won't help because the device is more than two years old and I only had 1 year NBD service.
Something I haven't tried is uninstalling the battery hardware from the device manager. Is this a serious option?
I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Any suggestion is most welcome! Thanks in advance.

Greetings,
Achim

A:Latitude E5540: "Power connected, battery not charging" at 39%

Hello, Nice to hear from you. The battery seems to be the culprit here. Should you wish to go ahead with purchasing battery do do PM us the system tag# by clicking on my name in blue and then select send a private message. 
Though you mentioned you do not have a spare battery, can you borrow one from somebody or take it to a local store to try (if possible)

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19679806
Relevancy 95.03%

The battery stopped charging and the LED light on the laptop won't light up when the ac adapter is connected. The led light on the adapter itself is on. How do I get it to work again?  I also checked the battery status and it said "Excellent". I read somewhere that I should update the bios but now the laptoo won't turn on bevause even the battery is empty. I bought the laptop 10days ago.

A:My Inspiron 5459 is not charging its battery. "AC adapter is not recognized"

Hi REINNA,
Are you using an original Dell Adapter? When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed? Is there any damage on the system? Could you test with another power adapter if possible? Could you check this adapter on another system if possible? When you press the power button on the system, do you see any leds come on atleast for a second or two? Does the light on the adapter stay on and stable when connected to the system or does it go off?
Please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records. If the system is under warranty, we can help book a service call.
Keep us updated.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19984804
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi all Laptop is a years old HP Pavilion DM - ca Issue started a few months ago when laptop was shutting down at battery charging" "Plugged issue and in, at down 96% battery shuts Laptop not and when I plugged it it would charge until x and then say quot plugged in not charging quot In the meantime I upgraded to Windows and the issue wasn't solved I formatted and did a clean install of Windows and still not solved HP advised I revert back to Windows as this is the quot Laptop shuts down at 96% battery and "Plugged in, not charging" issue original quot OS for my somewhat old laptop So I just re-installed OEM Windows Home Premium SP that came with the laptop and the issue got worse now it shuts down at I also uninstalled and re-installed battery drivers didn't work I tested the battery in the HP UEFI Support environment and it passed so I can't calibrate it At this point I don't know what to do and I don't think it's a battery related issue because it never fully discharges The laptop just shuts down before Help

A:Laptop shuts down at 96% battery and "Plugged in, not charging" issue

This is battery issue, nothing relates to windows &or battery drivers, if any.

If you leave the battery plugged in all the time, with the main power on.
Sooner or later, battery will not be able to charge properly, as you encountered now.

The percentage you see may not be real, hence it may force the laptop to shutdown without warning.
There is nothing you can do, unless either get a new battery, or use it as home with main power on.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/399024-laptop-shuts-down-96-battery-plugged-not-charging-issue.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hey guys I've had this Sony Vaio VGN-CS for almost months now and I've recently decided to upgrade it's quot Vista Home Premium quot setup to the new Windows RC I've installed and had the most basic features already supported I finally decided to attempt to get the quot fn quot keys and the top quot volume media quot control sliders to work Touch Sensitive After downloading the drivers and Shared Library and installing each restarting install restart etc I only have the volume part of the the quot fn quot keys to work The top sliders light up but have to no effect on the computer The brightness quot fn Windows RC 7 "Battery Vaio w/ Error SONY Detected" - quot SONY Vaio - "Battery Detected" Error w/ Windows 7 RC keys and top volume slider are the only real things I need as I do not use the volume network and monitor quot fn quot keys I've talked to Sony tech support and they've said to wait for October for the Windows drivers to be released and that there are generic drivers released by Microsoft They wouldn't tell me where these drivers are located and was hoping that a Support Wiz could help me out on this one I'm considered a nerd so I know my way around the computer and can do advanced operations I just need to know how to fix this problem Thank -Artur

A:SONY Vaio - "Battery Detected" Error w/ Windows 7 RC

Hello and welcome to TSF, playful_cyanide!

I snooped around Google and found this link, as it seems useful.

Also, you can use this program to give detailed analysis of your battery for reference.

I noticed you're in Sacramento, that's like right by me, I'm in Paradise.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/sony-vaio-battery-detected-error-w-windows-7-rc-404568.html
Relevancy 94.6%

Hello all I've spent a good few days trying everything the internet has thrown up to fix my mistake but nothing has worked I shall list my attempts to fix subsequently My problem is this six days ago I was using my laptop on its battery and I noticed that the battery icon in the notification bar still showed the mains plug and claimed it was at charge which it wouldn't be after at least minutes of use Plugging my laptop back into the mains restarting and running from the mains then unplugging it did not change this icon at all Reinstall Battery" Method "Microsoft driver ACPI Control Compliant I searched for a way to fix this problem and came across deleting and reinstalling the driver from Device Manager gt Batteries and deleting quot Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery quot then Action Reinstall driver "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" gt Scan for hardware changes Unfortunately I closed the Device Reinstall driver "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" Manager window by mistake before I scanned for changes so when I reopened it the hardware change was not registered so there was no ability to reinstall the recently deleted driver I have tried to find the driver itself on the Acer driver webpage it is not there restarting laptop removing battery and mains connections de-charging capacitors then rebooting to quot register quot the battery downloading various exe files that claim to reinstall the missing driver these have installed quot Microsoft AC Adapter quot drivers instead do a system restore - nothing suitable and ones older than months have been deleted My laptop will run fine on both mains and battery if on the latter it won't have any pop-ups of quot battery remaining quot etc nor will the screen do its auto-dim function to increase battery life If I try to show the battery icon now Right click task bar gt properties gt customise notification area gt turn system icons on or off the quot Behaviours quot on off drop down for power is greyed out and unclickable I've truly messed it up and I can't rectify it Any suggestions that you can offer

A:Reinstall driver "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery"

Hi Welcome to Seven Forums ... Have a look in Programs and Features for ePower Management ...

The Software is not on the Acer Website for your Model ..
Though i have read the Manual for your Laptop and it should have that Software ...

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/356607-reinstall-driver-microsoft-acpi-compliant-control-method-battery.html
Relevancy 94.6%

Earlier this year I mode" draining in 11 supposedly when Chromebook battery when beeps "developer off 3120 and - bought a nbsp Chromebook and I have been greatly disappointed with its battery life as even when shutdown it drains the battery Is this normal behavior for a nbsp Chromebook I don t think so Even though it takes gt hours to drain the battery from full charge it is rather annoying having to plug the thing in each day when with the little use it gets it should last a week or more without Chromebook 11 3120 battery draining when supposedly off - and beeps when in "developer mode" needing a recharge Also if I enable developer mode the thing emits a random quot beep beep quot when supposedly shutdown switched off which leads me to believe it is faulty and not actually powering down and staying down nbsp The beeps are the same as when booted in developer mode and left seconds as it is the warning that OS verification is disabled nbsp When the normal ChromeOS is restored by either doing a full recovery or simply pressing the space bar at the warning screen when booting the beeping does not occur but the battery still drains when the thing has been shutdown Does anyone else with a Dell nbsp Chromebook experience similar issues

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19986929
Relevancy 94.6%

Since a couple of days I have a strange Problem with my R700-172 Laptop: In the Windows menu at the right bottom Corner it Shows the Icon "power supply attached but no battery"... Strange Thing is: The same Icon is also shown, when my Laptop runs only on the battery!!! The battery works and charges... and supplies the Laptop properly but Windows 10 Pro 64-bit System does not see the battery... I have installed the newest Bios Version BIOS220_EC160.exe but the Problem is still the same. Very strange... Any Solutions or Ideas?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?91894-Portege-R700-172-Win-10-quot-No-battery-found-quot-message
Relevancy 94.6%

I have low" voltage battery is "system bootup on message a Dell Dimension PC XP Professional w SP The problem i am having is about out of times when i start up my computer it first goes to a black screen that says at the top quot "system battery voltage is low" message on bootup Alert System battery voltage is low quot and says to press F to continue or F to go to setup I don't really know what I could do in setup to fix this and when "system battery voltage is low" message on bootup I just hit F it seems to start up fine and the computer seems to work perfectly fine once I get past that but I am worried that it might be something I want to address so that it doesn't become something more serious If I was on a laptop or something I would think that there was something wrong with the battery but it is just a PC plugged in to the wall and I wasn't even aware that it had a battery of any kind So does anyone know what this means or what I can do about it Let me know if you need any more information and I will try to figure it out Thanks

A:"system battery voltage is low" message on bootup

Its your BIOS battery, gotta replace it.

BIOS has a battery on it, and its what keeps the ROM with the BIOS on it with power even when the PC is shut off. I hihgly suggest you get that new BIOS battery asap.

If your not sure what a BIOS battery is/where its located I suggest taking it to a shop.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/system-battery-voltage-is-low-message-on-bootup-138699.html
Relevancy 94.6%

Hello, i have the windows 7 battery problem i don't i know if it has been fixed yet but i've had my HP ProBook 4710s for about a 9 months now and about a month or 2 ago i saw this red cross on my battery icon and a error message when i click on the battery saying "There is a problem with your battery, so your computer might shut-down suddenly." the battery is charging but it drains really fast ever since that X appeared on the icon. Please help me.

A:Error "Consider Replacing Your Battery" Appears in Windows 7

The message is telling you exactly what the problem is. You're battery is dying or is very close to being dead, so you should replace it. Usually, there is a one year warranty on the battery, so I would contact HP right away.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/179631-error-consider-replacing-your-battery-appears-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 94.6%

I not have battery in my laptop.
Then i have disabled "Microsoft AC Adapter" and "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" in "Device Manager" but not is possibile to disable "Microsoft Composite Battery".
Why, It makes sense to have "Microsoft Composite Battery" without "Microsoft AC Adapter" and "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery"?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/388341-impossibile-disable-microsoft-composite-battery.html
Relevancy 94.6%

Hey everyone I have an old laptop with a battery that lasts about h in quot Power Saving quot mode I m going to be stuck next week for about hours at a location with few available public outlets and need to stretch my battery life as much as possible I ve already for battery to Looking life extend ways "techie" done the obvious generic tips of quot defragging the hard drive quot quot dimming the screen quot quot using few no external devices quot quot tweaking my power usage settings quot etc but it s not enough I m looking for some good quot techie quot solutions now like quot underclocking the CPU quot or quot removing the CD drive quot All suggestions are appreciated I d love to try to squeeze another hours out of this battery if possible no I don t have another battery and don t need to buy one just for this one event Thx PS Another idea Removing HDD and booting from USB Flash drive nbsp

A:Looking for "techie" ways to extend battery life

Removing the HDD and booting from a flash drive is probably the worst decision you can make. Flash drives have very slow speeds (even though they are flash memory, they arent fast) and very little capacity. Keep the HDD.

There are only a few more ways to improve battery life other than dimming your screen and adjusting the power usage settings. Under-clocking the CPU is really done by the "power saving" mode.

Try these suggestions:
1) Run this tool: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_battery_power_settings
2) Turn of your network adapter. There is usually a switch on the side of the PC that toggles the network adapter on and off. That will save you a ton of power. Also make sure bluetooth is off. I dont think your older PC will have it, but just make sure.
3) Use this tool to remove any unnecessary processes from start up. This will speed up your computer while also reducing the amount of processes that run (thus reducing CPU and RAM usage).

I can suggest other options, I just need your OS. If it is Windows 7, it is easy too, if it is XP, I cant really help there since I forgot the OS.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-for-techie-ways-to-extend-battery-life.192163/
Relevancy 94.6%

Hi there

Clean install from Windows Media creator -- on a VM though
Any idea why I'm getting in Searching for Display Driver -- a message about "Battery Life" -- this is on a Desktop (actually a Micro server).

I need to install vmware tools which will fix the display driver -- but any gurus here know why I'm getting Battery Life warning message on a NON Portable computer !!!!!.

This is just after a clean install of W10 x-64 PRO - Retail current version.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/48831-w10-clean-install-battery-life-desktop.html
Relevancy 94.6%

I've had my computer since June 2011 and now it says this when I click on battery. Right now, it's 89% charged and won't charge anymore. I went to battery status and it said "Battery Charging Disabled" but I'm not sure why since I didn't change any battery settings. Under battery health it says "your battery is performing normally."What am i supposed to do ? 

A:Inspiron 17R N7110 battery says "Plugged in, Not charging."

Hi katie629,
We will have to check the status of the adapter in BIOS; if the adapter is not detected properly the system will continue to receive power but will not charge the battery. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check if the adapter is detected properly.
1. Start the computer by pressing the power button2. Press the F2 key 2-3 times3. You will now be on the BIOS screen4. Under the Main Tab look for the option that says AC Adapter Type5. If the Adapter Type says Unknown or None with the adapter plugged in.6. Reconnect the adapter to the machine and if the status now shows as Unknown then the AC Adapter needs to be replaced.
Also, I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the system and check if the Battery is charging Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section onto the system and install it.
http://dell.to/ZaQuel
Please let me know if this helps.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19522474
Relevancy 94.6%

Hi Everyone,
My brand new Toshiba Satellite C50D-A laptop keeps coming up with " RTC BATTERY IS LOW"

I could locate the CMOS 3V battery. I did replace the battery after several attempts to fully charge the CMOS and Battery Pack did not work. Every time I do a total shutdown and then do a cold boot. This message keeps coming up on the BIOS level.

How do I fix this? Any help/hint would be appreciated.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?91489-Satellite-C50D-A-notebook-quot-RTC-battery-is-low-quot-error
Relevancy 94.6%

Hello My HP Pavilion dm laptop s battery was failing it started shutting down with no Low Battery warning after barely minutes after unplugging charging" battery laptop in, "Plugged not HP New - message it even with a full charge so I purchased and installed a new one which I purchased from Amazon com However this new battery has New HP laptop battery - "Plugged in, not charging" message me facing some new problems I frequently see the message quot Plugged in not charging quot over the battery icon in the lower right corner when the laptop is plugged in I ve tried multiple solutions to this problem including -Removing the battery driver software and restarting the laptop -Turning the laptop off unplugging the power cord taking out the battery plugging in the power cord replacing the battery and restarting -Unplugging the cord from the wall while laptop is running restarting the laptop then reconnecting the cord All of these solutions seemed to work but only for a short amount of time as it turned out In all three cases my laptop eventually started displaying the quot plugged in not charging quot text again I ve tried multiple sockets in two different houses but nothing seems to make any difference Another less annoying problem is that the laptop sometimes gives an inaccurate reading for the remaining battery life I started working on the laptop when it was fully charged and despite spending over an hour unplugged the battery life never dropped below Shutting and reopening the lid caused the laptop to display the actual percentage however Is something wrong with my new battery or could something else be causing this nbsp

A:New HP laptop battery - "Plugged in, not charging" message

Its either that the new battery is faulty or theres some kind of power supply problem.you might want to have it checked out to see what the exact problem is and go from there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-hp-laptop-battery-plugged-in-not-charging-message.1119302/
Relevancy 93.74%

This just happened, I was given a shake flashlight to generate light "tye"flashlight. I placed it by my monitor and it changed the color in blobs all over.. ERR! I am trying to find the company of the flashlight. It says jetco on the flashlight.
My monitor is permanently damaged isn't it?

Relevancy 93.74%

So I made a post Being 8.1 Not " Windows Battery 9 Cell Detected" over on seven forums but I was told to bring it over here I have a 9 Cell Battery Not Being " Detected" Windows 8.1 Dell Vostro running Windows The battery was giving me about minutes battery life so I bought a new cell OEM battery The quot Probl em quot with the cell battery is that it seems that Windows is not really detecting the battery I'm not sure It will only tell me quot unknown time remaining quot It will not give me a notification of when the battery is going to die Except the physical red button lighting on the front of the computer In terms of battery life the battery works fine I get hours and hours of battery life so I know the battery is functioning properly In the BIOS it is detected as battery performing regularly I don't know why it is not showing the time I tried uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI drivers in device manager and rebooting but nothing changed I was a able to SHORTLY borrow a similar laptop to mine but running windows The time remaining was being displayed My Bios version is on the latest version Why is this happening The Battery was bought directly from DELL I have tried calibrating the battery How to Calibrate Your Laptop I downloaded a program called battery bar And while not perfect the program is able to give me estimated time remaining Length of time the laptop has been on battery Why can this program do it but windows cannot

A:9 Cell Battery Not Being " Detected" Windows 8.1

do you have dell quickset installed?

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/61061-9-cell-battery-not-being-detected-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 93.74%

Hi Guys,

I bought a new Li-ion battery for my Thinkpad X31 today. It's an IBM factory original battery. After I got home and started using it I noticed it was manufactured in March of 2004. It is 3.5 years old!!

My understanding of Li-ion batteries is that they do lose efficacy over time, even if not in use. I've seen sites suggest that you should not buy old batteries for this reason.

Anyway, after the first charge, my laptop battery utility showed that its capacity was up to specifications. (However, the same utility showed the "Battery Wear" already at 5%.) I'm worried it will wear out faster than it should because it's so old.

Is there any way to test this, or do you think I should just try to return it immediately?

Again, this is a Li-ion battery, not a Nicad or other. It's rated at 10.8V 4.4AH.

Many Thanks!

A:May have been cheated buying "New" laptop battery

It may be that old but never used. Two things that kill batteries are heat and lack of exercise. If you got some warranty with it, see how it goes after a few charge/discharge cycles. If you use the laptop connected to the mains, take the battery out unless you are charging it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/may-have-been-cheated-buying-new-laptop-battery.85409/
Relevancy 93.74%

So I have my background set to change to another picture in a slideshow once a day, but I often use the laptop unplugged, and the slideshow doesn't change.

The first few days I was confused, but then I realized that the option "Allow slideshow when on battery power" was turned off, so i turned it on, but the background still wouldn't change the next day. I've now realized that every time I close Settings, the option defaults to "off".

How can I fix this?

Thanks.

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/55957-allow-slideshow-battery-power-turns-itself-off.html
Relevancy 93.74%

So I've had this laptop Toshiba Satellite C - V since I think I had it since I started university and around early ("plugged Charged charging") Not not Being in, Battery this month I've been having problems with my battery it's not being charged There's a message that says quot plugged in not charging quot and I've tried multiple ways in Battery Not Being Charged ("plugged in, not charging") trying to fix it Each day it would lose of power It would be at then the next day At the moment it's at At the bottom of my laptop is a little light that I'm assuming indicates how much power my laptop has or something it has a symbol of a battery and a plug beside it When I Battery Not Being Charged ("plugged in, not charging") have my laptop plugged in with the AC-adapter it's green when it's unplugged it turns orange and starts flashing I have no idea if it was green or orange when my battery was Battery Not Being Charged ("plugged in, not charging") still fully-charged I remember I had to replace my AC-adapter last summer because my old one was damaged but I don't think it has anything to do with that because it's been working fine until this month -I've tried the quot shut down unplugged AC remove battery replug start-up uninstall control method battery shut down unplug AC put battery back replug AC and start-up quot method but it didn't work -I tried disabling Toshiba Power Saver but that didn't effect anything -I read somewhere that completely draining the battery might work somehow except my battery refuses to go any lower than no matter what I do I'm beginning to think that my battery is just dead and gone I really hope not because the battery of my older sister's laptop around the same age as mine is also dead and she was told by an employee at Best Buy that a new battery is more expensive than an actual laptop a friend of mine told me that this is complete bull so I don't know what to believe I would really hate having both laptops replaced but it doesn't seem like I have any other options Unless of course someone can suggest something else that might get my battery charging again Thanks

A:Battery Not Being Charged ("plugged in, not charging")

Yes, it sounds like your battery is dying. This is quite common, as they only have a lifespan of X number of charging cycles. Get a new battery.

A replacement laptop battery should be less than $100 US from the manufacturer. There is nothing wrong with generic batteries provided they are the EXACT same specification as the OEM battery (original equipment). These you should be able to find in the $50 -$60 range. You should be able to find a replacement battery on Amazon in minutes (or anywhere else - dedicated battery websites will provide you with more details for making an informed choice).

While not necessary I always buy a new charger to go along with a with a new battery.
It is VERY important that the charger have the EXACT same output voltage and amperage as the original equipment. Ignoring this rule can shorten the life of the battery, or the laptop.

Running the battery all the way down is a leftover from the days of NiCad batteries. It has no useful effect on modern Lithium Ion batteries.

The guy at Best Buy is an excellent salesman. A poor excuse for a human being, but a great salesman. I bet he won an award that year.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/291236-battery-not-being-charged-plugged-not-charging.html
Relevancy 93.74%

i have a hp pavilion dv7-core i5,17.3" screen and the battery is a 9 cell li-ion-93hr but it can't go past 3 hours on battery power even on power saver mode and discrete graphics turned off(always on intel HD graphics)..is this normal?
i never game,just listening to music,watching movies and mostly browsing the internet.

A:9 cell battery not living up to its "potential"

It's impossible to say if it is normal or not because there are two many other variables that factor in. The only way to know for sure is if you had a lower cell battery to compare it to. Considering you have a 17.3" screen, 3 hours sounds like a great number. The larger the screen, the more power it draws. Typically, people with that large of a laptop screen aren't too concerned with battery power, as they aren't lugging it around that often. Those laptops are usually referred to as desktop replacements.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/256115-9-cell-battery-not-living-up-its-potential.html
Relevancy 93.74%

Hi everyone,
I got a HP 530 laptop (vista home basic) from a friend to fix. It only powers on with battery power and not with ac power but it shows "Plugged In, Charging". If after powering up, you insert the ac adapter, it works fine although the battery doesn't charge.

Thanks

Relevancy 93.74%

I have a new Dell Inspiron 11, 3000 series laptop.  It has given me this message at least 3 times recently, "your battery is temporarily disabled. please turn off your computer and try again when the unit is back to the operational temperature."  I ran the Dell Diagnostic and it didn't find anything.  I also used the Dell Technical Support, but nothing came up there either.  Please help?

A:message "battery temporarily disabled..."

Hi Melkub,
I would suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below and check for issue resolution.

Switch off the computer.
Disconnect the AC adapter from the system.
Remove the battery from the computer.
Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
Then connect back all the peripherals and check if you are able to switch ON the system.

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you update the BIOS on the system and check.
Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from the BIOS section and download and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI
Let us know your findings.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19617036
Relevancy 93.74%

I have a Battery not notice "plugged - charging" in, -year-old Toshiba satellite C with Windows Last night after I restarted it for updates the battery symbol read quot Plugged in not charging quot This is NOT Battery notice - "plugged in, not charging" the first time this happened to my computer A couple months ago the same notice appeared At that point in time I did some combination of shutting down removing battery unplugging etc and it was fixed Since then I have gotten a new AC adapter because my old one had a short Anyway I looked around on the internet tried a few things and eventually came across these instuctions Disconnect AC Shutdown Remove battery Connect AC Startup Uninstall AC Compliant control method Shutdown Disconnect AC Insert battery Connect AC Startup Battery notice - "plugged in, not charging" Yay It worked I moved my computer from one location to another and it was still working However when I got on the following morning it was back to the message quot Plugged in not charging quot Also the message came up again that I needed to restart my computer for updates even though I had done this the night before I retried the previous fix No luck I tried some other suggestions No luck In the meantime I ve taken out my battery so it doesn t die my computer works with only the AC in as well as with only the battery in or with both However I use my computer a lot and I m often in situations were plugging it in is not an option I also don t want it to shut down every time I unplug it I ve never replaced the battery but I am inclined to believe it s a software issue because it was temporarily fixed I potentially have the money to buy a new computer but that s a last resort and I m not so fond of either Apple or Windows nbsp

A:Battery notice - "plugged in, not charging"

I would say get yourself a new battery. If you got 3 years use out of it your doing well

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/battery-notice-plugged-in-not-charging.1089791/
Relevancy 93.74%

I installed a "spare" battery that I picked up at local computer show. Initially it had a 2% charge. After I plugged in the power supply, it steadily built up [things went from orange to green].

However, when it reached 74% it stopped charging !! I pulled the plug and ran the battery down to 50%. But when it reached 74% it stopped again.

The little green battery symbol [on the hinge] has stopped "blinking" ??

How can I get a 100% charge into the battery ??

NOTE: I posted this on Thinkpad forum and got "zero response".

A:T21 Thinkpad - "Partial" Battery Charge

Chances are it is suffereing from the "memory effect" as they do after a while. Batteries do not have an infinite life and this is one of the first indications that it is getting tired. You should discharge it down to nearly zero and recharge it a few times to see if it recovers (unlikely)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/t21-thinkpad-partial-battery-charge.410169/
Relevancy 93.74%

I've been having an issue which started this morning. The previous night, I forgot to plug in my Dell Inspiron N5050 after using it. I woke up to find that my battery had died (obviously). I plugged in the laptop, running Windows 7 HE 64 bit, and turned it on. It booted normally and I was able to do all of my tasks as needed. Then I noticed my problem. The battery icon down on the taskbar showed that the device was plugged in, but was not charging. It has stayed at a constant 2% charge for more than 24 hours now. The Battery Meter stated that my battery is performing normally, so I ruled the battery out as the cause. The adapter I am using is the default one that came with the laptop when I bought it, and it appears to be functioning normally as well. What could be the cause of this incident, and what can I do to fix it?

A:Battery Stated as "Plugged in, Not Charging"

Most likely you have a bad battery. Dell has had whole series of batteries that they shipped out in a not fully functional state. I have an HP laptop (about 8 years old now) that the battery took a "steamy one" and it will no longer charge properly. You can try this trick (it may not work, but worth a try because did work for me a couple times): power down laptop and take the battery out for 30 minutes; replace battery and plug in charger but do not power on; wait 4 hours of charge and power on. I had it work a couple times that it gave a full 100% charge. Again, if it doesn't work then sorry, but at least you tried.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/battery-stated-as-plugged-in-not-charging.203683/
Relevancy 93.74%

Hi I hope someone can help me.

Today I noticed whenever I hover over the battery icon, it says BATTERY IS NOT DETECTED.
But the laptop is still working fine.
Is there a way of getting rid of this message myself?

I have a Sony Vaio and the model number is VGN-NW20EF

A:Sony Vaio "Battery not detected"

Have you checked the status of the battery to see if its even charging? if not then that might be the reason for the message and it should be replaced.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sony-vaio-battery-not-detected.1121134/
Relevancy 91.59%

I have had this Acer Aspire Laptop (Win7) for less than two years.
Yesterday it had an update session, after which I had to restart it 2 or 3 times, as the programs would not respond. Since that I had not shut down my computer.
(Not being plugged in right now)
This morning at 7:45 am I open it, do some school stuff, no problems, I close it again.
At 10 am I open it again, it says I "may need to replace battery" and "may shut down suddenly" (lets call this BR)
I close my laptop until I can plug it in.
11:30 am I plug it in, still says BR, I shut it off, take out the battery, put it back, plug it in, turn it on
nothing has changed
It's charging fine
What should I do? is there anything I can do besides replacing the battery?

A:Charging "Consider replacing your battery"

Hi and welcome to the Forum.
You might find this useful:
What should I do if I receive a "Consider replacing your battery" notification?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/305513-charging-consider-replacing-your-battery.html
Relevancy 91.59%

I have a Dell Vostro running Windows The battery was giving me about minutes battery life so I bought a new cell OEM battery The quot Problem quot with the cell battery is that it seems that Windows is not really detecting the battery I'm not sure It will only tell me "detected" being cell not is 9 Battery quot unknown time remaining quot It will not give me a notification of when the battery 9 cell Battery is not being "detected" is going to die Except the physical red button lighting on the front of the computer In terms of 9 cell Battery is not being "detected" battery life the battery works fine I get hours and hours of battery life so I know the battery is functioning properly In the BIOS it is detected as battery performing regularly I don't know why it is not showing the time I 9 cell Battery is not being "detected" tried uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI drivers in device manager and rebooting but nothing changed I was a able to SHORTLY borrow a similar laptop to mine but running windows The time remaining was being detected My Bios version is on the latest version Why is this happening

A:9 cell Battery is not being "detected"

Hi have you tried calibrating the battery. On-the-Go articles | Dell

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/359986-9-cell-battery-not-being-detected.html
Relevancy 91.59%

some one ples tell me why this appear it will not always appear !!!
some people say this is coz of bios update

A:Battery indicate "x" cross mark!!!

It is probably because the hardware says the battery is dieing? And that maybe you should consider replacing the battery as per the message says? Just a thought.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/189967-battery-indicate-x-cross-mark.html
Relevancy 91.59%

I turned on my laptop and the battery icon has a x over it and says "Consider Replacing Your Battery" and below it says "There is a problem with your battery, so your computer might shut down suddenly" What should I do? I'm fine if I have to leave it plugged in to use it if that matters lol. Thanks

A:My Laptop says "Consider Replacing Your Battery"?

Let me guess without even looking I'm going to say it's a samsung or a dell laptop.

Even so it is more than likely the battery has reached the end of it's life.
There's a million tricks I've seen online to 'refresh' a battery but I've not used one personally that extended the life once it was bad enough to bring up messages.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/184280-my-laptop-says-consider-replacing-your-battery.html
Relevancy 91.59%

I recently did a clean install after my hard disc stopped working and had to be replaced.
Before this, my battery was working perfectly and lasted about 5-6 hours. However, after installing Windows 7 Ultimate x86 again, my laptop doesn't seem to charge anymore above 2%. The second I take off my adapter, the laptop turns off.

I can't find any drivers for the battery or anything related on the ASUS website. I was also wondering if this could possibly be a problem with my Hybrid Graphics, since my NVIDIA G210M graphics card wasn't working well either and had to be uninstalled.

I also tested to see if it was a problem with my adapter, but my laptop works without the battery connected, with just the adapter being plugged in.

So how can I get my battery working again without having to replace it? (I don't think it's a hardware problem anyways). Thanks in advance.

A:"Plugged in, Not Charging" - Battery

Hi there
Hate to say it but your battery needs replacing. It DOES happen on laptops from time to time especially if you have had the laptop a while.

Also modern manufacturing tolerances or QC isn't as good as it used to be --emphasis is on cheapness and get the stuff out of the door as fast as possible so you could have got a "bad" one too. Just the luck of the draw unless its within warranty period.

When they die they go quite suddenly -- no warning or whatever -- rather like car batteries -- OK one day and then dead as a dodo the next.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/235294-plugged-not-charging-battery.html
Relevancy 91.16%

My Dell laptop will charge and operate for several hours off a new 6000 MAh battery but the icon in the tray inidcates that it is always on line power. Although both the CD and floppy drive work when installed in a bay the system not indicate that they are present. I have updated the bios from Dell but that does not help. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jerry

A:Dell Inspiron 3500 charges and runs on battery but cannot find battery or bay devices

Still under warranty, isn't it? Call Dell for a repair trip.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-3500-charges-and-runs-on-battery-but-cannot-find-battery-or-bay-devices.109068/
Relevancy 91.16%

Can someone help me with this problem So I just received 3315 15 Status at Inspiron Stuck 0% Charging, Battery Dell Idle? Battery my brand new Dell Inspiron and the battery is not charging It says it s quot Plugged In Charging quot but it never goes up and stays at At first Dell Inspiron 15 3315 Battery Stuck at 0% Charging, Battery Status Idle? I thought I just need to plug it in for several hours but it s been hours now and still the battery stays at nbsp I tried running the BIOS Diagnostics just to see if there are problems and there s none The battery status says everything is running normally and the Battery State says it s Idle I tried draining the flea power several times removing and reattaching the battery but to no avail I m getting really frustrated and I m really close to throwing this laptop back to Dell nbsp I read somewhere that I have to update the BIOS but it won t update unless the battery is charged at least Someone also suggested that Windows is causing the problem I haven t even started using this laptop and it s already giving me a ton of problems nbsp Any help would be much appreciated Thanks guys

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19982101
Relevancy 90.73%

Hello I ve been using a Dell inspiron from about years now and exactly after years of my buy the battery failed and it started showing me to battery charge! Bought battery still and dell my doesn't laptop a new replace the battery and always notified me about contacting dell for a new battery Bought a new dell battery and still my laptop battery doesn't charge! I didn t take this of much concern so i just ignored the message and kept on using my battery with my adapter plugged in After - months of such usage My battery completely failed and doesn t Bought a new dell battery and still my laptop battery doesn't charge! even offer me even a minute of backup when i remove the power socket Then i realized the importance of a new battery and then bought a new battery from Dell Its the same battery with the same specs and also the same family type After i removed my defected battery I replaced my new bought Dell battery and realized that my battery is working fine its charging well but at some time it says quot Plugged in But not charging quot Which is rare for any new battery which is bought brand new This is how it looks now after i remove the AC adapter plug and when i depend on the battery backup it is providing me a backup but I see a yellow exclamatory mark beside it Which I think should not be present it also says quot Low battery quot when there s already of battery left I ve also followed some online steps updated by BIOS to the latest nbsp Followed some other steps like uninstalling the battery ACI in the device manager and etc i would love to get this problem solved I m using a PA- family adapter which is also a replaced one So any help on solving the issue would be appreciated THANKS

A:Bought a new dell battery and still my laptop battery doesn't charge!

Hi Utkarsh. I Actually FIXED this problem months back. and I exactly want to help you on this so that you can fix it yourself too..
the problem which is creating your battery to show an exclamatory mark is your power settings.
so follow these steps to get rid of that sign and a perfectly working battery.
1) Click on your battery icon (left click) you should see an option called " More power options" at the bottom of the popup.
click "More power options"
2) Now you will be taken to your control panel where you can see all of your power plans and under each plan, you will see an option called "Change plan settings"
3) Click on "Change plan settings" for your active power plan. Now you will get redirected to another control panel window, where you can see two kind of power options to get adjusted. that is, when you battery is plugged and when your battery is unplugged.
4) Don't touch those options, just click on "Change advanced power settings" at the bottom left of that window. THIS IS THE AREA WHERE WE NEED TO FIX!
5)After you click on "Change advanced power setttings", you will see a POWER options popup, go to the bottom and then you can see something called "Battery" with a plus sign on the left. click it.
6) Now you just have to change the levels for the following values
                   --> Critical battery level ( you can change it to 10%)
                   ---> Low battery level ( you can change it to 20%)
Now once that's done, YOU WILL NO LONGER SEE THE EXCLAMATORY MARK ON YOUR BATTERY!!!!
So I hope this works!
Reply me back when you've succeeded fixing it.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19465162
Relevancy 89.87%

Hi i have a XPS M dell laptop and bought a new battery wich came charged to the instructions said that i should discharge the battery to and then chargeit to for first time I used the laptop withouth cord until it was then i plugged it but the amer light that should battery testing of of or port need dell a i help a Hi, a battery laptop appear it is not when i plug the laptop with the battery installed then i check the energy administrator i have xp Hi, i need help testing a battery or a port of battery of a laptop dell and lubuntu and it both was the same and it said quot charging quot but it stayed in i let it more than hours plugged but never charged the battery it is still in and the light of the battery doesnt turn on I dont know if the battery is bad because it worked when had charge or is maybe the laptop that is not charging Is there a war to check if this port is charging electricity to the battery i have a multimeter and i know how to open this laptop Any information would be helpful as i havent been able to found information on this and also is there a way to know with the multimeter if the battery is allowing energy to charge it i hope you have understood im still klearning english thanks for your time nbsp

A:Hi, i need help testing a battery or a port of battery of a laptop dell

Testing the DC jack on a laptop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrsUsyxzk1M

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hi-i-need-help-testing-a-battery-or-a-port-of-battery-of-a-laptop-dell.1131320/
Relevancy 88.58%

Hi Everyone Mods can move to correct section had no idea where to post this So I just moved to a new school which uses ACER TRAVELMATE as their laptops When they first gave it to me they put a brand new battery in it and they gave me the wrong charger greeeat but I went back and got the correct one Now the laptop Is "No Detected" Battery DOES charge When "No Battery Is Detected" I turn it on it displays the battery icon with the charging icon over it "No Battery Is Detected" if that makes sense however it has a red cross over it and if you hover over that it says quot no battery is detected quot So you have no idea how long it has left to charge and so on BUT if you take out the charger the laptop will not turn on as if the battery is flat but surely it cant be because it has charged for hrs Usually I would just go to the IT guys girls at school but seeing as they keep stuffing up and it is school holidays I am hoping you kind and smart people have a solution I have tried to get any dust out of the charger port hole thing And have also taken out and re-inserted the battery twice This is driving me a bit stupid as I have homework to do So just to make things clear the laptop works completely find when connected to the charger except for what I said before Oh and this is happens when I am on either the home or school image And it runs on windows of course Sorry for the long post I hope I have explained that well enough If you need me to add any more information just ask away Have a nice day night wherever you are

A:"No Battery Is Detected"

Sounds like a duff battery to me =/ Either that, or the battery isn't inserted properly.

Are the contacts on the battery and the laptop clean? Try wiping them with a clean anti-static cloth, make sure there is no dust or grime on any of the (usually) gold contacts.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/173264-no-battery-detected.html
Relevancy 88.58%

After my 3rd reboot in my laptop (windows vista), it can't detect the battery on anymore. It charges perfectly but it shuts off as soon as i unplug the wire. Can someone help please .
The image contains a wire and an empty battery with a red "x" in the middle

A:"No Battery Is Detected"

Hello & welcome,

If it is fully charged & how do you know? Does it power up off the battery at all?

Do you have any "Battery management" software on the PC?

Other than to say, it sounds like a dead battery! Not sure where else to go.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/293970-no-battery-detected.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Does anyone know why a notebook would say a battery is not present that is physically connected to the system.

I have a Dell Inspiron B120. I have not used it in a few months because of this problem and have been using my desktop. I am using the notebook now to write this thread.

The problem happened one day randomly. I unplugged the power cord and ran off the battery. After it ran out of power I once again plugged it back in. This time however it did not start recharging. Plus in order for the notebook to accept the power-cords power, I have to jiggle it a bit till I hit the stop. Almost as if there is a short or something. I didn't drop the computer between it accepting the battery and power-cord normally and am wondering what happened.

Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Relevancy 88.58%

I am using a HP laptop and have recently installed the Windows 7 RC. I was using the Windows 7 Beta before, and did not have any issues with the battery, but now the battery symbol in the notification bar is crossed out and the exact error message is that "[t]here is a problem with your battery, so your computer might shut down suddenly". The battery I am using is quite old, so it may in fact need to be replaced, but as far as I can tell it is functioning properly...

Did anybody else run into this problem, and do you guys think that the battery does in fact need to be replaced?

Thanks.

A:"Consider Replacing Your Battery"

Generally speaking, laptop batteries are only good for about 1 year. After that, their charges start to not hold up and the runtime on batteries just gets lower and lower. If your battery is indeed old, it's probably time to replace it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/18312-consider-replacing-your-battery.html
Relevancy 88.58%

I don't have a problem or anything, I was just curious.

The "Battery" Visualizations in Windows Media Player seem like they were made my a second or third party group other than Microsoft, like maybe Plus! or something. They're at least named with a different style. Maybe they're just newer visualizations? Does anyone know the story behind them?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/does-anyone-know-where-the-battery-visualizations-come-from.845256/
Relevancy 88.58%

I have a brand new custom built HP HDX16t (Yes they stopped making those) but i bought it back in October 2009.

Apparently windows thinks my battery is dead but its brand new! I do have my HP under warranty.

I think i might just go linux if this is windows 7 issue.

Should of got a macbook pro

Edit: Okay the message went away but it is at 85%. Considering it was 1% 10 minutes ago i don't find that likely.

A:"Consider Replacing your battery"

It's a new feature that lets you know if you need a new battery based on various algorithms that calculate your batteries capacity. You'll want to make sure you charge to full and run it down to empty, then refill. This will allow it to calibrate.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/78043-consider-replacing-your-battery.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Long story About a month ago my power supply blew up Big BANG and the computer shut down New power supply and every thing is back up and running or so I thought First strange thing was that when I got back up Windows couldn't find any of my user files They were there Everything was supposedly pointing to them but I was starting up with a default profile Solution Delete my account recreate it and then set the pointers to my existing files Oddly I still had some tweaking to do but that's not today's issue Last night we had Don't "on battery" to any have settings seem a couple of power hits and I realized that Windows wasn't talking to my UPS an older APC Back-UPS Pro connected to the computer via USB Yeah it's old but it works So I started poking around in Windows Power Settings and realized that there is nothing in the power settings about what to do on battery power Device Manager shows the APC UPS but that's it Any Don't seem to have any "on battery" settings thoughts

A:Don't seem to have any "on battery" settings

Welcome to Seven forums BarnabasSackett.
I have an APC Back UPS too. You'll need to download the Power Chute Personal Edition from the APC site. http://www.apc.com/tools/download/index.cfm

However you need to create an account or login to one to download their stuff. If your UPS is more than 5 years old and you've not replaced the battery, check to see if it is still holding its charge.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/176614-dont-seem-have-any-battery-settings.html
Relevancy 88.58%

hi, i have dell inspiron n3010. ive had it for 1 year and 7 months now. just yesterday in class, my laptop was working perfectly well and then when i got home, the battery icon says "Consider replacing your battery". ive been looking online for solutions but to no avail. i fully charged it last night but the battery got drained in 30 minutes. any solutions please?

A:"Consider replacing your battery"

It's telling you the battery is knackered, which you verified is correct by the fact it only holds half an hour charge. Batteries can only be charged/discharged a number of times before they lose amp-hours and need replacing. If you overcharge batteries (eg. by forgetting to unplug at night) then this is another factor that severely reduces their life.

Basically, it's not an error. You do actually need to buy a new battery for it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/consider-replacing-your-battery.1086043/
Relevancy 88.58%

I get this message when I click my battery level.

When I click it, this is what it looks like.

When I untick the box it looks like

and what it should look like.

Is that a good enough fix? I've tried the disabling the ACPI thing in Device Managers but that is apparently only temporarily. I have tried set everything to 1% battery left and let it force shut down, plug it in to turn it on and it's still like that.

If that isn't a proper fix, what else is an option? I have a Toshiba laptop and it wasn't like this until today after my computer did some automatic updates overnight, it was plugged in

A:"Consider Changing Your Battery" Help

Hello. Some laptops are able to test the battery. Once the efficiency falls below a certain point, you willget a message saying to replace the battery, as in your case.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/224171-consider-changing-your-battery-help.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Recently I've been getting a pop-up on booting up my old computer that says:

"BATTERY INDICATOR HPID09
Access Violation address 00401C62 in module 'BATINDICATOR.exe'
Read of address 000002DC"

I hear it's something to do with the hardware? If so what is it and how do I correct it?

A:"Battery Indicator"

Hi Chips,

My name is George from Dell Social Media Team. The reason why you are getting that error message is because the battery on the motherboard has “died”, so you need to get replaced. You will find the procedure for removing and installing a new battery at this link Re: keep getting warning 'battery indicator - HPID09 - HP Support Forum

Regards
George
Dell Social Media team

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/235862-battery-indicator.html
Relevancy 88.58%

HI , My laptop is dell inspiron 15z ( 5523 ).I suddenly getting error that " No battery is detected ". So i tried to replace with new dell battery but still it's same problem.I have seen so many suggestion , but nothing is work.And if possible then can you tell me , what are the reasons behind this issue.
1) I have tried to remove residual power,by removing battery and pressing power button for few seconds. but still it showing me the same error.
Can you suggest me some solutions, it would be great help to me.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19994732
Relevancy 86.86%

I cannot find battery of my XPS 13 L321's battery in Turkish market in Turkey. Can you please give me an address that I can purchase this battery?
Thanks in advance.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19996409
Relevancy 86.43%

Hi I replaced the battery on my Gateway New between toggling charging" "not "charging" and Battery MA with a brand new one non OEM With the laptop turned off the new battery charged New Battery toggling between "charging" and "not charging" well without any problems But when I charge the battery with the laptop turned on I see the battery icon changing from quot plugged in-not charging quot to quot not plugged in quot New Battery toggling between "charging" and "not charging" to quot plugged in-charging quot and the cycle repeats The charging LED indicator also keeps turning off and on following the icon messages this indicator was constantly on when charging with the laptop turned off Looks like the battery charging is getting messed up when Windows is trying to monitor the status Applications also are exhibiting a strange behavior during this time I had started a virusscan and whenever the battery icon changed to quot not plugged in quot the virusscan used to pause and would resume when the icon changed to quot plugged in-not charging quot or quot plugged in-charging quot Very weird I uninstalled the Battery ACPI driver through Device Manager but that did not help The other battery drivers are reporting up-to-date versions I tried removing the battery altogether and connected directly to the power It works for sometime and then suddenly the laptop shuts off So cannot use that solution either One other data point is that the original battery was V mAH watt hours whereas the replacement one is V mAH watt hours But it has the correct battery model number Could this be a cause I had thought this difference should not matter Any help on how to fix this Thanks very much

A:New Battery toggling between "charging" and "not charging"

Hello and welcome drpvrvena mate sounds lie you have a dud battery my friend the voltage difference could be a possible cause even though it is only 0.3v.

The cycling stuff is also in my humble opinion indicative of a faulty battery. Now battery drivers?? I have never heard of such a thing I mean a battery is a battery I think maybe you mean something to do with the charge circuitry

But just a matter of interest try running these

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html

http://www.superantispyware.com/

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

download from bleeping computer

in that order delete any rubbish the malware scans find
Personally I would dump the AVG or at least pause it and see what happens with that charge problem.

If you ant to change to another security then let us know plenty of free suites and better than AVG (again not hard in my mind) .

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/309040-new-battery-toggling-between-charging-not-charging.html
Relevancy 85.57%

After my friend's laptop wouldn't run on battery power OR charge the battery I tried many "fixes."

Shockingly none worked that I found.

Only one thing worked for me to my surprise.

A last ditch effort was to open up the laptop (sony pcg-81114L) and disconnect the cmos battery for a few minutes to reset the CMOS.

To my surprise, when powered on, the battery instantly showed it was charging AND when removing the power plug the battery POWERS the laptop now! (and I'd thought I was wasting my time.)

Worked with an off brand battery also.

Many times this has saved many computers that have odd "unsolvable" things wrong with them.

Surely someone else has done this also but I haven't seen it posted anywhere to my knowledge.

Thank GOD for bringing the idea to remembrance!

A:sony vaio won't charge battery or run on battery power (CMOS BATTERY FIX!)

Hi askfault,
Do you have any information on how this fixes the battery problem? would be interested to know.

Xen

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/511609/sony-vaio-wont-charge-battery-or-run-on-battery-power-cmos-battery-fix/
Relevancy 84.28%

Need the aforementioned drivers.  I have installed virtually every driver available in the Driver download page inc Control Vault and cannot get the two driver mentioned.

Any help would be appriciated 

A:Need drivers for Dell Latitude E6520 "Broadcom USH" & "Mass Storage Controller" Windows 7 64 Bit

Check under Security for the Broadcom Unified Security Hub (USH - probably a print/biometric reader) for the device that best matches your hardware:
www.dell.com/.../latitude-e6520
The other "mass storage controller" ... go to Device Manager, right-click the device in question, Properties, Details tab, change dropdown to Hardware Ids and give me the the VEN and DEV ID's (do the same for the above USH device if the driver linked does not work).  

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19487460
Relevancy 84.28%

Hello.

Is "Revo UnInstaller" really the best on the market?

Or do you recommand any other "Uninstall programms"?

A:Is "Revo UnInstaller" really the best on the market?

It's what I use . .

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/is-revo-uninstaller-really-the-best-on-the-market-566031.html
Relevancy 82.99%

This week I m at my in-laws -- and doing routing maintenance on their computers and wireless network -- which includes thorough bumper to bumper scanning of their computers for a variety of things While doing so with their relatively new Dell laptop I encountered the infamous and incredibly annoying Browser Helper that Dell in a deal with Google is installing on new computers This quot feature quot is incredibly annoying when ultimately encountered during the loading of a legit web page It takes what is presumed to be a mis-typed URL or one that doesn t resolve in the DNS domain name server -- including from embedded ad banners -- and instead of returning a standard DNS error it redirects the browser to a Dell web page with Google search box and a host of click-through adverts My ISP s home page which I was using to get to my web mail was triggering Hijacker" "Browser "helper[??]") Dell's Solved: (Google this before the web page could completely load -- as were some web pages on Newegg before that Took me a while to sort Solved: Dell's "Browser Hijacker" (Google "helper[??]") out what it was as Spybot S amp D Adaware and Hijack This didn t find it at the least I didn t recognize it in the Hijack This log Turns out it s not that difficult to get rid of -- but Dell Google don t Solved: Dell's "Browser Hijacker" (Google "helper[??]") make it plainly obvious Here s the fix Close Internet Explorer important Fire up the Control Panel Go to quot Add or Remove Programs quot Look for one of these programs they ve used several different program names quot Browser Address Error Redirector quot or quot GoogleAFE quot or quot URL Assistant quot You will should only find one of them -- highlight it and hit the quot Change Remove quot button Reboot the computer -- this annoyance should be gone now BTW - There is a little itty-bitty quot What s this quot hyperlink in the upper right corner on the Dell Google page this beast redirects the browser to -- easily missed -- and this is the URL it takes you to that explains why you ended up there on the Dell Google page with paid adverts http www google com hws dell afe What the removal instructions there do not explain is the need to close Internet Explorer first and to reboot the computer after removing the program Once loaded by IE it stays loaded in RAM even though it s been quot removed quot from the hard drive and registry This is most likely why some who have encountered this thing and tried to remove it have thought the removal failed Wanted to share in greater detail what it is and how to get rid of it -- John P S Apology in advance if these instructions are elsewhere on the forum - I did to a search and got some hits but it didn t turn up the specifics about what it is and how to get rid of it nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dells-browser-hijacker-google-helper.654548/
Relevancy 82.56%

Model satellite -f ds Ser nbsp Personal Information Removed Product nbsp J U UA ABA nbsp nbsp Purchased new battery using the replacement number on my battery Seem's to work but percentage number is wrong Started with being max Then followed the steps bellow and it now shows and charging only This is the info I get with battery check nbsp Thanks' Tim nbsp battery check battery ok nbsp battery failure id Battery nbsp - nbsp Failed nbsp - nbsp RLH T - D B-MFPV G-C CF nbsp - nbsp nbsp Warranty Type nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Terminal Voltage mV Cycle count nbsp false battery percentage a has nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Design Voltage mV Manufacturer - nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp battery has a false percentage nbsp nbsp nbsp battery has a false percentage nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Cell Voltage mV Battery Age days nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Cell Voltage mV Serial Number nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Cell Voltage mV Temperature C nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Cell Voltage mV Design Capacity mAh nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Status D Full Charge Capacity mAh nbsp AC Power Yes Remaining Capacity mAh nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp CT Number N A Current mA Tried the following with no success Step Go to Device Manager Step Select Batteries Step Right click the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery that is listed there Step Click Uninstall Step At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the current driver Step Shutdown the computer Step Remove the battery for minute and then put it back in When the computer comes back up it should automatically find the driver Step Go to Device Manager Step Select Batteries Step Right click the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery that is listed there Step Click Search automatically for updated driver software nbsp Do the same thing with Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller nbsp Also tried nbsp Disconnect AC Shutdown Laptop Remove battery Connect AC no battery Startup Laptop no battery nbsp Right Click Windows Icon In Lower Left Corner Left Click On Device Manager Left Click The gt Next To Battery Right Click Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery Left Click Uninstall Click OK In Dialog Box nbsp Scroll Down To System Devices Left Click The gt Next To System Devices Right Click ACPI Fixed Feature Button Left Click Uninstall Click OK In Dialog Box nbsp Shutdown Laptop Disconnect AC Insert Battery Connect AC Start Laptop nbsp nbsp

A:battery has a false percentage

a failure indicates that the battery has gone bad

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/battery-has-a-false-percentage/td-p/5737870
Relevancy 81.7%

I'm having a win 64 bit laptop 1607 build, recently it shown a warning message stating battery less than 9 % , but when checked battery status in taskbar showed 33%, so i ignored it , but this keeps on popping up, is there a problem with my laptop battery or is it a technical glitch ?

A:showing false battery low warning

Hi, how old is the laptop?
And is the warning message about less than 9% definitely about the laptop battery?
I only ask as I get alerts about my phone battery in the notifications.
If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/443433-showing-false-battery-low-warning.html
Relevancy 81.7%

In Windows XP, fully updated, I have several folders full of mp3's and want to see the bit rate and duration. I right click on a column heading and select "Bit rate". I then click on "More..." so I can get to "Duration", and I select that one too.

But all the figures in the "Duration" column appear to be in "hours" and "minutes", so I see "00:04" or "00:03", but what I want is "minutes" and "seconds".

Any thoughts as to how to change this?

A:Solved: Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes.693037/
Relevancy 80.84%

I am running Windows XP SP fully updated on an Acer Explorer Column Windows no "Minutes" "Seconds", "Hours" just "Duration" - and lap top PC I have several folders full of mp 's and want to Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" see the bit rate and Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" duration To Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" do this I right click on a column heading and select quot Bit rate quot I then click on quot More quot so I can get to quot Duration quot and I select that one too The two new columns appear but the format of the quot Duration quot column appears to be quot hours minutes quot so I see quot quot or quot quot for most mp 's when what I want to see is 'hours minutes seconds quot e g quot quot This also happens for video files avi files e g all my episodes of quot Heroes quot sad I know have a duration of quot quot instead of quot xx quot Here are two pictures showing the problem with the mp 's The first is of Explorer showing the Duration as quot Hours Minutes quot The second picture is of the properties window of the first mp in the list above I copied some mp files to another old PC on my home network and it displayed the duration field correctly Also the properties window correctly shows the duration also I'm not the only person to have this problem I received a private message from a member of another forum where I posted about this problem several weeks ago That person also has the same problem with the duration field The tech guys on that forum were unable to find the source of the duration field problem But after I had such a great success on this forum with my hard disk problem here I decided to try to get help here Thanks in advance for any suggestions

A:Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

* bump *

Tricky, this one!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes-253928.html
Relevancy 80.84%

My computer has just started shutting down on it's own and when I start it up again, it tells me "Low Battery Alarm" and that I should change my batter or switch to outlet power. I am on a desktop plugged into a battery backup and into a wall outlet. I checked my power option properties and it shows to activate low battery alarm at 100%. I cannot lower the %. When I try, it just moves back up to 100%. I have all power options set to never go into standby or hibernation. Has anyone else had this problem on XP or got a suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/low-battery-alarm-shutdown-on-xp-desktop.457125/
Relevancy 79.98%

Are bad sectors always irreversible hardware problems How do programs test for bad sectors and could it be possible for soft data errors to come up as damaged blocks even if they are physically just fine I recently had a drive come into my possession that had completely failed within the laptop it was used The Windows system failed at every boot CHKDSK run from installation media would spend days on end trying to make repairs and reformatting and reinstalling Windows was unsuccessful So the first thing Sector" errors? by blocks caused write Bad False "Bad Positives: I did with this disk was plug it into my "Bad Sector" False Positives: Bad blocks caused by write errors? desktop and run a surface test in "Bad Sector" False Positives: Bad blocks caused by write errors? Paragon Hard Disk Manager It found tons of bad sectors and I was convinced the drive was trashed The weird thing was there were two partitions and only one partition had errors so I suspected maybe it wasn't purely a hardware problem To test this hypothesis I wiped the entire drive to zeros and told it to verify every bit There were no errors I then ran another surface test on extreme mode and found no bad blocks I then formatted the drive to NTFS and scanned the file system in Paragon with slightly enigmatic results It came back saying there are no bad blocks and listed no problems in the log but for some reason it said there were quot minor problems quot As expected viewing it in any file manager showing hidden shows nothing and dir in cmd comes up as quot file not found quot but strangely the file system test said that there were directories and files I ran CHKDSK and Windows told me that it found no errors I could run another surface test but I'm worried that if I keep testing and testing I might encourage this drive to move closer to the end of its life Were the bad blocks I found simply caused by write errors or temporary data damage Is it possible that most of the ills of this drive were fixed by the wipe Or is it more likely that this is only temporarily masking the real problem and I will very soon see problems again I know it's impossible for you to know for sure but I'm wondering what your experiences would lead you to predict

A:"Bad Sector" False Positives: Bad blocks caused by write errors?

Quote:
Are bad sectors always irreversible hardware problems? How do programs test for bad sectors, and could it be possible for soft data errors to come up as damaged blocks even if they are physically just fine?

There are two types of bad blocks - physical and logical. Physical bad sectors are surface defects which can't be repaired. Logical bad sectors are those which are physically good but the ECC ( Error Correction Code ) of that sector became corrupted and hence OS can't read data from it. Logical bad sectors can be repaired by low level formatting the drive or writing zeros to the surface.

Although physical bad sectors can't be repaired by performing a low level format, all modern hard drives incorporates a technique called "Sector Remapping" to repair bad sectors. All hard drives will have a hidden area of reserved sectors ( sector reserve pool ). When the disk controller detects a bad sector, it will mark the physical address of that sector as bad in an internal table named "G-List" ( Growing Defect List ) and allocate a good sector from the pool to replace it's logical address. This process is called "Remapping" and is transparent to the user and OS.

Usually the remapping process is happened like this ;

1. Disk Controller performs a media scan to verify sectors when the disk is in idle stage ( Background Media Scan ). If a sector is identified as bad or unstable, it's physical address will be marked on an internal list called "Current Pending Sectors". Usually the total number of pending sectors can be viewed in the SMART log.

2. When the next time this pending sector is accessed by OS (usually a write operation), disk controller will move the data stored in that sector to a spare one and the sector will be marked as bad in the "G-List".
So when you perform a zero wipe, following will happen.

1. Logical sectors will be repaired ( ECC code will be reset ).

2. Performing zero write to physically bad sectors which are marked to be pending will force the remapping. Since the logical address of bad sectors are remapped, it will look like the defects are repaired to the user.

For more info, please refer - Bad Sector Remapping - Data Recovery | 0800 072 3282

Although the disk may looks like working after the zero wipe, i won't suggest to use it as the disk may be unstable and hence it may fail again soon.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/344327-bad-sector-false-positives-bad-blocks-caused-write-errors.html
Relevancy 79.98%

if the value in any column is less than 60 it should return the result of FAIL

=IF(B5>=60, IF(D5>=60, IF(F5>=60, "PASS", "FAIL")))
If the score for the first argument is less than 60 it returns the value of False when it should be Fail.

If the score for two arguments is less than 60 returns the value of False when it should be Fail.

Any thoughts?

A:Solved: Nested IF statement return first value as False and should be "Fail"

Hi Daisy-Girl, and welcome to TSG.

Am I safe to assume you are doing this in some version of Microsoft Excel?

If so, you need to use a separate "FAIL" for each case of the IF test being false.

Code:
=IF(B5>=60, IF(D5>=60, IF(F5>=60, "PASS", "FAIL"),"FAIL"),"FAIL")
FWiW, it might be more logical and easier to understand if you used a single IF function that used the AND function to combine the individual column tests.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-nested-if-statement-return-first-value-as-false-and-should-be-fail.1092104/
Relevancy 79.98%

I am attempting to transfer all of the files form an NTSF 250 GB external drive to an empty FAT32 250 GB internal drive via USB.

I keep getting an error message that says "Cannot copy (filename): There is not enough free disk space. Delete one or more files to free disk space, and then try again. To free space on the drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click Disk Cleanup".

This is not true though, as the destination drive has more than enough space for the transfer.

A:False error - "not enough disk space" durring transfer

You cannot transfer all the files because many will be in use...

You will ned to make a drive image with a program like Ghost, or you can even use its drive copy feature.

It will be cake to copy an entire drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/false-error-not-enough-disk-space-durring-transfer.396184/
Relevancy 79.98%

Hello,

I have 3 PC's on a home network through a netgear router.
This computer & One in each sons room.

Both of my son's computers have become infected with a program that claims to be Antivirus software called "Antivirus Soft" both PC's are running XP pro with SP 3. They are reciving alerts that they have no AV installed and that the windows firewall is disabled.. When ever I try to run the real AV thats installed AVG free it says that the action is not allowed.

Infact I cannot access the task manager either & when ever They open IE they just get a page stating that its to dangerous to access the internet until they purchase the software..

Is there any hope??

Thanks in hope.

Bill

A:Desktop PC Infected with False AV called "Antivirus Soft"

Hello and welcome to TSF

Since two PC`s are infected and to avoid confusion, we will work on one pc at a time. The other infected pc should be disconnected from the internet for the time being.

=========

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.

Link 2
Link 3
Link 4

* Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
* If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
* A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
* If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
* If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
* If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

You will need to run the application again if rebooting the computer occurs along the way.

If there are no problems then follow these instructions:

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link I'll give you below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:

Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps

link at the top of each page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the forum is very busy and if I don't hear from you within three days this thread will be closed.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/desktop-pc-infected-with-false-av-called-antivirus-soft-461605.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi all I searched through the forum amp didn't find any reports like this A client's employee needed my help remotely via Teamviewer the last hours Old old old Pentium PC running Win -bit MB RAM wth The system is old and was "__.exe contained IE Chrome: & and a was REPORT FALSE deleted." virus running even slower than it usually does confirmed I cleaned out the PC Malwarebytes found infections -- clean it out Used CCleaner even though hard drive space is not an IE & Chrome: "__.exe contained a virus and was deleted." FALSE REPORT issue Ran AdwCleaner will attach the logs when I regain access to the PC Ran a full scan with Trend Micro Housecall -- no infections Installed Windows Security Essentials - quick scan gt IE & Chrome: "__.exe contained a virus and was deleted." FALSE REPORT no infections The system is now running fast for a machine that old Two persistent yet related problems though When I try to download a safe file CCleaner via filehippo as a test I get a false report that the file contains quot a virus and was deleted quot In Chrome I cannot install any extensions tried Adblock Plus -- the download is blocked due to another false virus report If anyone has seen this before amp can recommend a fix I'd appreciate the input It is unusual behavior -- don't know if it's an unreported virus or something else though Thank you

A:IE & Chrome: "__.exe contained a virus and was deleted." FALSE REPORT

I just found this in the related threads section. Will try tips in the thread when I get access to the PC.

"This file contained a virus and was deleted."

Love this & the eight forums! Thanks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/300274-ie-chrome-__-exe-contained-virus-deleted-false-report.html