Windows Support Forum

External Drive cannot be accessed in windows 7

Q: External Drive cannot be accessed in windows 7

Hi. I have a seagate External Hard drive and recently I've upgraded my ASUS K40IN Windows Vista to Windows 7, now I am unable to get my ext Hard drive to be recognised. Someone told me that it could be the USB driver is not updated, Is that true? Can anyone help me please. Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: External Drive cannot be accessed in windows 7

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: External Drive cannot be accessed in windows 7

Hi and welcome,

So when you plug her in, your machine doesn't scan or it scans, but comes up with no new hardware found?

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/49504-external-drive-cannot-accessed-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 79.12%

TB external hard drive is spinning when turned on however my laptop is not registering the HD properly- previously it would come up with the hard drive name G VERBATIM however now it just says G Local Disk and comes up with the error message quot One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it quot It emits Windows hard Explorer drive when external is attached/accessed crashes a tone when the HD is removed so obviously it is acknowledging the device and it does still work but it just isn't opening at all Whenever I go into Windows Explorer and attempt to access the drive or even just right click on the drive Explorer freezes and I have to reboot I am running Vista Home Premium SP however the same problem is occurring on an XP laptop Ideally I don't want to lose what's on the HD there's about GB worth Much of this is avi's though which going by other threads could be a factor Any help would be much appreciated

A:Windows Explorer crashes when external hard drive is attached/accessed

Hi,

Normally in this situation I would recommend that you went into the Device Manager console and tried to uninstall then re-install the driver for the hard drive; but since you experience this on another machine as well it seems as though there are one of two possible causes - either the filesystem may have become corrupt to some extent, or the PCB in the external enclosure has developed some sort of fault. I would say try and take out the hard drive if possible (and if you don't mind potentially voiding any warranty that may remain), and install it either in an available desktop or another external enclosure and see whether or not you can access your data. If you cannot I would say the cause is the former unfortunately.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jon.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-explorer-crashes-when-external-hard-drive-is-attached-accessed-473305.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi,

Just re-installed my OS and restored data files from Maxtor One-Touch external drive (using goodsync).
Then I set up a backup profile - one way / from computer to Maxtor.
After the first backup I can no longer access the Maxtor (E-drive).

I see it's icon in explorer, but can't access it at all.
The drives properties show it being completely full of "raw data".
(It can't be re-formatted either.)

There is some data I'd like to recover, but failing that re-formatting would be better than nothing.
(I'm absolutely sure there is nothing physically wrong with drive.)

GoodSync says-
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
(error - 2147023779)
Windows XP gives similar messages.

Attempted to use GRC.com's Spinrite, but it can't recognize the drive.

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Relevancy 71.81%

This is puzzling. For 2 days I've noticed that the 'light' on 1 of my external drives is constantly blinking. This is going on 24hrs a day. The drive shows in This PC and is accessible. Scanned the drive for errors and it shows as fine. Drive is a Western Digital 'My Book'. It's not hot, I have a small fan that blows over the drive (without the fan it gets warm to the touch).

Have scanned both with Kaspersky and Malwarebytes, system is clean. Could it be that the drive is beginning to fail?

A:External hard drive being constantly accessed

If you installed the WD software, check it to see if it is doing some incremental backup of some sort. I have the same drive and have noticed that too.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/56298-external-hard-drive-being-constantly-accessed.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I bought an HP v w GB USB flash drive off of Amazon and when I plugged it into my USB port and tried to transfer files to it my computer froze and I had to hold the power button to shut it down This happens every time I try to access the flash drive Additionally I have other external hard drives that has always Drive Accessed Computer External Hard is Freezes When worked for me for years and now those too are freezing my computer when I try to access them It seems like the HP flash drive affected my computer in such a way that it is preventing other devices from working properly I have gone into Device Manager and uninstalled the USB Host drivers and restarted my computer That did not solve the problem I have tried using different USB ports on my computer and that has not made a difference I have tried uninstalling the drivers for the individual external hard drives and then have them be reinstalled the next time I plug them in That has not worked For some reason though when I connect my old external hard drives through a powered USB hub I do not experience the freezing What sucks is that I think my USB Hub is USB so it takes forever for anything to transfer Every time I plug in the HP flash drive into the USB Hub I get a message saying the driver could not be properly loaded or that I don't have access to the drive et cetera I am pretty sure the HP flash drive is no good and needs to be returned but does anyone know what I can do to prevent my old external hard drives from freezing my computer without the use of a USB hub

A:Computer Freezes When External Hard Drive is Accessed

Hello and welcome Ben mate a little more specs would help mate because to see what speed USB the machine supports we need at least the model and more inportnatly the motherboard.
Use this to find those details out.
Using HW Info
You can test the volts on the PSU with HW Info HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download < download the right bit version and close the right hand window select Sensors and scroll down to the power section where you will see what the volts are doing see my pic.
The original right hand window shows the machine running and is handy for that but for looking at the components in some detail close it and use the main left hand side panel
FOR OTHER COMPONENTS
Open each + down into the component itself and then click on it - in the right hand side will appear all sorts of details including brands speeds and other essential info that device. See pic for example.
Use the lower part and find the model of the motherboard please.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/364179-computer-freezes-when-external-hard-drive-accessed.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I m running WinXP sp I ve had my external hd for quite some time not sure what changed but turned it on for but freezes External up Hard drive when accessed in PM shows the first time in awhile and it would quot ding quot like plug and play recognized it but nothing happened I go to Windows Explorer and it freezes I have to turn off the switch to the External Harddrive it s an Ultra to get anything to load Then I try to External Hard drive shows up in PM but freezes when accessed turn it back on and I look at Device Manager I can see it in there but when I right-click on it to see what s going on it freezes Any program that would access the HD freezes when it External Hard drive shows up in PM but freezes when accessed s turned on I External Hard drive shows up in PM but freezes when accessed ve been browsing the net for hours for a fix Here s what I ve tried nothing has worked Changing the jumper settings using tweakui to change drive letters changing usb cables power down and try all over any ideas BTW- my harddrive is not clicking or doing anything out of the ordinary it won t mount in Safe mode either nbsp

A:External Hard drive shows up in PM but freezes when accessed

TweakUI to change drive letters? No wonder you are having trouble. What version of TweakUI?

Drive letter changes need to be made in Disk Management. I don't recall any TweakUI's tha changed drive letters since Win 98 and that program is for a whole different family of operating systems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-shows-up-in-pm-but-freezes-when-accessed.785498/
Relevancy 70.95%

I have used a teac USB external 3.5" floppy disk drive running on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 for several months. Recently when I try to read a floppy, it reboots the computer every time. I thought it was the drive gone bad, so I bought a new Memorex USB external floppy drive. The same thing happens when I try to access the disk with the new drive. When I attach the teac drive to my laptop using Windows Vista, it works perfectly.

I appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

A:When teac external floppy drive is accessed, pc reboots

You might try removing your all USB controllers (via Device Manager) and then rebooting and allowing them to reinstall.Worth reading, IMO: General USB Problems in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575.Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/266802/when-teac-external-floppy-drive-is-accessed-pc-reboots/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi there I know similar issues have somehow been addressed elsewhere but it seems my particular problem hasn't quite been faced by many others so here we go I have thousands of files on an external drive My computer recently crashed so on permissions be Files external accessed hell!) (owner + cannot drive I had to fresh-install windows ultimate x While some files on the extenal hdd work fine others won't work given that the owner and permissions are screwed I can manually right-click any file and go to the properties gt security tab and then add quot Everyone quot Files on external drive cannot be accessed (owner + permissions hell!) or my new user and then add full control and that's it the file works fine BUT I can't be doing this manually for thousands of files Files on external drive cannot be accessed (owner + permissions hell!) So I've researched a bit and have installed the registry hack for quot Take ownership quot on right-clicking a Files on external drive cannot be accessed (owner + permissions hell!) file folder Add quot Take Ownership quot to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Win or Vista - How-To Geek I've ran a bunch of commands from an admin-level command prompt icacls takeown grant etc as per here Tools to Manage Access Control Lists - Tutorials Articles Algorithms Tips Examples about Security Solved changing permissions on multiple files - Vista Forums All I now see is some weird user on most files but no permissions set for me to access them user is something like S- - - And so nothing seems to have been solved I still have to manually right-click a file and use the security tab to add a new user set permissions etc How come it works through the gui and not on the command line My hope is to do it for a whole folder E music which has literally hundreds and hundreds of folders and mp files It would suck if I'm stuck doing it manually Thanks in advance for your help if any -

A:Files on external drive cannot be accessed (owner + permissions hell!)

I saw some User like S-1-5-... on my XP machine when my Recycle Bin malfunctioned while trying to clear a drive. Had to get bit-unlocker to keep the Recycle Bin from locking up on a folder with that username every time I tried to empty the Recycle Bin. The problem eventually went away, maybe after I repartitioned the other drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/263326-files-external-drive-cannot-accessed-owner-permissions-hell.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I have a new Dell XPS420 quad core processor running Windows Vista Premium Home edition. I have my old hard drive in an external case and at times when I try to open files on the external hard drive I am not able to. It says I do not have permission. I have read articles on how to gain permission and at times I am successful, but it is a real pain to do that each time! I tried turning off User Account Control on the new desktop and then tried to access the external hard drive files, but I still received the same message, that I do not have control and it was denied.

Is there any way to gain permanent control over that external hard drive? I was the only user of that that was housed on my Compaq Presario 5430US that ran Windows XP Home edition.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-files-sometimes-cant-be-accessed-on-desktop-running-window-vista.727273/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi everybody I have a problem so i have Windows x professional I installed it like i always do never have any problems with installations And i may have had the wrong boot order for my hard drives considering they are all the same hdd's In installation drive on new windows be cannot accessed Hard other words they all have the same name when you choose to boot Now after my Hard drive cannot be accessed on new windows installation installation i see that one of my hard drives is not in the my computer when i check it out I checked then in computer manage disk management and found my hard drive but i cannot access it Now i believe what happened Hard drive cannot be accessed on new windows installation here is that i booted and installed in the wrong Hard drive cannot be accessed on new windows installation order and possible why i cannot access it Therefore can anyone help me find a way to access my hard drive please I believe the only way this can be resolved is by changing something relating to the partition with a program like partition magic or something like that but i have no clue what to do and i dont want to experiment and accidentally destroy my harddrive Also id like to mention i have visually accessed what was in the drive with a formating program there were folders called BOOT SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION LOST amp FOUND EXTEND and files like bootmgr bootsect bak volume etc Oh and i did complete scans with different antivirus programs of all hdd and everything else including a malwarebytes scan and found nothing Thanks Mcloud

A:Hard drive cannot be accessed on new windows installation

SOLVED

the solution was to assign a drive letter to the drive.How dumb of me....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/505088/hard-drive-cannot-be-accessed-on-new-windows-installation/
Relevancy 60.2%

I have been having on start up my F drive being "repaired" but it cannot be accessed by Windows. Computer Management lists the disk as F: and as healthy! But the file system as RAW. There is also in addition the F: and C: an unidentified Volume with no file system which has a status of Healthy (Recovery partition)

This issue arose after a lightning strike. The files are there but i can;t access them normally. The drive was used for backup so since I have the original files should I just reformat the drive or scrap it and buy a new one?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/66244-hard-drive-healthy-but-cannot-accessed-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi everybody I have a problem so i have Windows x professional I installed cannot installation be drive on Solved: new Hard accessed windows it like i always do never have any problems with installations And i may have had the wrong boot order for my hard drives considering they are all the same hdd s In Solved: Hard drive cannot be accessed on new windows installation other words they all have the same name when you choose to boot Now after my installation i see that one of my hard drives is not in the quot my computer quot when i check it out I checked then in computer manage disk management and found my hard drive but i cannot access it Now to describe what i see all my hard drives other than the one hard drives says Primary Partition and the hard drive that cannot be accessed says System Active Primary Partition Now i believe what happened here is that i booted and installed in the wrong order and possible why i cannot access Solved: Hard drive cannot be accessed on new windows installation it Therefore can anyone help me find a way to access my hard drive please I believe the only way this can be resolved is by changing something relating to the partition with a program like partition magic or something like that but i have no clue what to do and i dont want to experiment and accidentally destroy my harddrive Also id like to mention i have visually accessed what was in the drive with a formating program there were folders called BOOT SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION LOST amp FOUND EXTEND and files like bootmgr bootsect bak volume etc Thanks Mcloud nbsp

Relevancy 58.05%

I have a upgraded XP to Vista Premium computer and none of the external thumb or hard drives can be accessed whereas they work fine on other vista computers in my office. Also, if I right click properties, the SECURITY tab is not there to own the external drive!

What do you recommend?

Randall

A:USB External Drives Cannot be accessed

Check in Device Manager whether the drivers are OK.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/241252-usb-external-drives-cannot-accessed.html
Relevancy 58.05%

After some troubles with the boot of this PC, now I'm faced with another challenge --- I can't access the external hard disk that is usually plugged in this PC. Everything else in this PC works fine before it started not booting. After several attempts on fixing the computer's boot, it came to a point where the PC can detect the external HD but I can't gain access to it. I have a Western Digital external HD and I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit as OS. Whenever I plug the External HD, the option to unplug it at the bottom-right of the screen appears (which meant the PC recognized it) and it appears at the disk management as 'Disk 1' while Disk 0 is for the main HD. But the volume for Disk 1 doesn't show. I only see C: on the disk management screen.

A:External HD detected but can't be accessed

hi and welcome

go to device manager and find the drive in the tree go to properties and go to drivers now uninstall the driver unplug the usb connection and reboot. When you have the desktop open re-plug the usb in, windows should install the driver back again (make sure you are connected to the internet in-case windows need to access it

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/118540-external-hd-detected-but-cant-accessed.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi all I am trying to get the files from an old HDD It was working until the power supply died on can't Old external as be [SOLVED] HDD accessed by Win7 the old computer so I have a new computer it was due I have a WD hard drive in a NexStar case The drive runs and [SOLVED] Old HDD as external can't be accessed by Win7 after about seconds the Local Disk F shows in Explorer Sometimes - but not always - I am told I need to format it If I double-click on the F to drop down the files I get a popup telling me I have to format it then another window telling me quot [SOLVED] Old HDD as external can't be accessed by Win7 the drive is not accessible - The volume does not contain a recognized file system Please make sure all required file system drivers are loaded and the volume is not corrupted quot So it was working on an old Win XP computer bit I think and now on Win amp - bit - I can't access it Any help would be appreciated Thanks

A:[SOLVED] Old HDD as external can't be accessed by Win7

Could be a failing drive or a faulty case . . can you attach it directly to an ide port in the pc? Does the NexStar3 case have its separate power supply or is it using the USB port for power?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-old-hdd-as-external-cant-be-accessed-by-win7-651256.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi all I format accessed HD telling keeps External me when to m having a problem with my external hard drive It s a Western Digital My Essentials Edition GB version A few days ago my external hd stopped working properly External HD keeps telling me to format when accessed or I think it s the external hd Whenever I try to access it known as the E Drive through the My Computer folders it says that it is an invalid path and tells me that I need to format it However I ran this program http quetek com that lets you recover files from a hard drive I used it to find the files on my external hd and it was all there However the external hd was called Disk which I am unable to locate it I ve also checked the Device Manager and it lists the external hd But when I checked the properties and clicked on the Volumes tab I got this And when I clicked on Populate I got this And I found that didn t do anything I ve also tried this external hd on two other computers in my house but I get the same error Now I don t mind formatting my hard drive because I don t have anything of real value on it but I ve read that if I do or if I try to it still might not work Does anyone know what could be the problem to this and is there a solution The only thing I could think of that would have caused this is that I saved an image file directly onto the external hd instead of saving it to the desktop then transferring it Any help is most appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:External HD keeps telling me to format when accessed

I know it's only been awhile but does no one have a solution? I can't seem to get an answer anywhere.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hd-keeps-telling-me-to-format-when-accessed.639200/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello everyone I have a WD portable external HDD about - years now Haden't any problem till now Yesterday i plugged in my HDD to my laptop and it worked as always Then i extracted a rar file but couldn't wait and i force closed the extraction After that my every action in the HDD was slower copying cutting I tried to extract the same accessed, HDD WD responding. external be not cannot system rar again WD external HDD cannot be accessed, system not responding. but because of the very slow speed i again force close from task manager the winrar process The next time i plugged in the HDD it wasn't recognized like before it was shown like a local disk Any attempt to access it is useless system not responding Even tried from various program to access it but same result Device manager same result HDD's light is on and it looks like is writing all the time Also i can't perform a chkdsk from within windows because nothing happens I always safe remove it Someone told me should open the case and try another connection like SATA or something i don't really know I tried many of the solution written in the forum but no result Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you

A:WD external HDD cannot be accessed, system not responding.

Hi there.

Did you try to connect the external drive to another computer to see if it's going to be recognized?
If it's not, can you run extended test with the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics and tell me what the results are?
WD Support / Downloads / Other Products / Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/348932-wd-external-hdd-cannot-accessed-system-not-responding.html
Relevancy 56.76%

My iOmega TB External hard drive stopped working after it was accidentally unplugged I googled the problem amp found the exact thread here for my problem When plugged in instead of being identified by it s name as before it s listed as Local disc F First I tried disabling write caching to no avail so I followed HDD disk shows as it local & F cannot be accessed External the instructions I found here to External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed the same problem started by fish in Aug Mark replied several times giving good instructions which I have followed but my problem isn t solved I downloaded Sea Tools for Windows amp ran both Short amp Long tests which both failed The hard drive when dismantled is a Seagate Barracuda TB amp my PC is Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pk The HDD has much loved photo s of my kids amp tons of video amp music too is there any way to retrieve it now or is it a hopeless case Any help would be very much appreciated I think maybe if possible to get any data now I would have to take it to proffessionals but don t want to get ripped off if the drive is totally broken Thanx so much if u can help all nbsp

A:External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed

You could try going into disk management and deleting F: drive, while the External HDD is unplugged, then try reconnecting - OS might have just assigned the drive incorrectly?
Also strongly recommend updating to SP2 if possible (probably not connected to this issue though).
Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-shows-as-local-disk-f-it-cannot-be-accessed.186348/
Relevancy 56.76%

My Dell laptop running Win Pro has a TB SATA drive attached by USB I use this as my main data of Laptop by being mysteriously External accessed system. HD archive Recently the drive has started to be accessed for long periods of time for no apparent reason when the computer is not actively in use The drive is very noisy with much clickety-clacking when being accessed Consequently I'm trying to decide which is more disturbing the paranoia arising from the fact that my data is perhaps being accessed by an unknown entity or the stress of being woken from my slumbers at AM in the morning by something resembling a passing freight train External HD of Laptop being mysteriously accessed by system. A damned long one at that I tried turning off the Windows Search service in an attempt to prevent indexing of the drive but to no avail The drive accessing always seems External HD of Laptop being mysteriously accessed by system. to stop soon after I tap the touchpad of the laptop cancelling the screen blanker and displaying the desktop Please can anyone tell me how I might prevent this unwanted phenomenon Kind regards MickyLuv

A:External HD of Laptop being mysteriously accessed by system.

Welcome to the Seven Forums.

You can use the native Resource Monitor to see what app is hitting that drive.

Start > Resource Monitor - select the tab named Disk

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/280241-external-hd-laptop-being-mysteriously-accessed-system.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a 1 TB western digital external portable hard disk (of my passport series).
It was perfectly fine, until now. Whenever I try to access it, my system hangs. And sometimes it does open but it takes a awful lot of time. What maybe the reason for this. Can anyone help me on this matter?

A:System hangs when external hard disk is accessed

Hello Shwetha, and welcome to Seven Forums.

If this is an eSATA drive, then double check in your advanced power plan settings to see if you may have set Turn off hard disk after X amount of minutes. If so, then set it to Never to see if that may be the issue.

Hard Drive - Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle or Never

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/207926-system-hangs-when-external-hard-disk-accessed.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi there I have a problem with my system in that something is causing the hard disk to tick over almost exactly once every every accessed Hard second being once drive second lighting up the red led I have used process monitor to look at whats going on and theres a set of results repeating every second although I dont understand them The effect is really noticeable when running games such as Live for Speed as the screen freezes momentarily once a second Hard drive being accessed once every second and the frame rate count drops very briefly Aside Hard drive being accessed once every second from making the games unplayable I m sure its not good for the drive to be accessed like this I noticed the problem for the first Hard drive being accessed once every second time the other day when I installed the Tiscali broadband drivers to get back online I ve been offline for a while Up to then the games ran fine and there was no ticking every second so I think it might be something to do with the fact I ve reconnected to the internet The system has plenty of free hard drive space and is free of spy malware as far as I can test I need someone to maybe have a look at the Process Monitor logs attached to determine whats going on Everything is still working i e the pc isn t running slowly and all software functions are fine I d rather avoid an XP re-install if possible although I would do this if it might solve the problem System specs AMD athlon x Dual core ghz GB Ram XP pro sp GB hard drive Any help would be much appreciated Thanks Mephisto nbsp

A:Hard drive being accessed once every second

Excessive Auditing enabled in your General Policies.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-being-accessed-once-every-second.112529/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello

I have shared my cd drive out. But when people try to access it, they get the error message: "not enough server storage is available to process this command". Any ideas how to resolve this problem.

Thanks
Kenny

A:Shared cd drive cannot be accessed

What O/S are you operating and verion of service paks? Also, what O/s are the individuals that are trying to connect to you are they using. Can they connect from their run command such as \\yourmachine\D$ or are you just clicking on Network Neighborhood and then clicking on your computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-cd-drive-cannot-be-accessed.29744/
Relevancy 51.6%

My floppy drive (A:\) is being accessed by something. I couldn't tell you what where and why but I can tell you that it seems to be when I load almost any program in windows... no real rhyme or reason for it. Usually, I would remove the floppy drive entirely seeing as they are becoming more and more obsolete but in this case I need it installed.It's one of those "just one day it started doing it."So, here it is.Is there any way to tell what programs or services may be trying to access my floppy drive?Windows XP pro, most current updates.Floppy drive works fine. All other drives working fine. Virus scan runs every night with two programs.Much Thanks!

A:Floppy drive being accessed.. but why?

Worth a read:http://www.tech-faq.com/floppy-drive-access.shtmlCould possibly be anti-virus/anti-spyware programs running in the background doing scans....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/213327/floppy-drive-being-accessed-but-why/
Relevancy 51.6%

I am upgrading a Windows 2000 Professional computer to Windows XP Professional. The computer contains a CDRW drive. After the upgrade, this drive cannot be accessed through Windows Explorer. Attempting to access the drive causes explorer.exe to stop responding. Can anyone give me some advice on what I should do to isolate the cause of this problem.

A:CDRW drive can't be accessed

have a look in device manager and see if it has a yellow triangle against it at all

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cdrw-drive-cant-be-accessed.295961/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello folks I have a new Kingston USB GB and whenever I plugged it into my desktop PC drive USB accessed can't be flash it can't be accessed or opened When I open quot Devices and Printer quot it can see my USB called quot Data Traveler quot but I can't open it I tried uninstalling the drivers and plugging and unplugging it but still the same results I tried opening the Disc Management and it can see the USB but when I try to format it or try to assign a drive letter error pops out The USB drive works on my laptop except the desktop PC that I'm using Also I have the same issue with External hard drives being recognized but I'm unable to open access it Basically the problem lies within my PC USB flash drive can't be accessed and I don't know what to do This is what happens when I try to change the drive letter paths http i imgur com tbrbb C png This is what happens when I right-click format http i imgur com ZZsVxv png Any help would be greatly appreciated

Relevancy 51.6%

My PII 400 has slowed down and the Hard Drive (16Gb) is taking ages to defrag.

I ran PC Accelerator 5002 to optimize L2 cache with a significant improvement.
I ran OptOut and discovered 28 bits of Spyware, which is now deleted. (There may still be something still lurking though.)

The remaining problem now is the Hard Drive chunters around far too much. So how do I optimize the HD and if there is nothing wrong with it what could cause it to be so unresponsive?

A:Hard Drive being accessed far too much

I read a artical here about hard drive maint that works pretty good.

First clear out the recycle bin. Then Click start.... Find.. Files or folders in the named box type this in.. .temp,~*.* it should list a bunch. click the top one then hold the ctrl button down and click the bottom one.. After they are all highlighted right click then delete.. leave them in the recycle bin for a few day to make sure there is no problems.

I had a few hundered the first time

------------------
"She was crazy in a cool way once" Johnlee

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-being-accessed-far-too-much.33926/
Relevancy 51.6%

Floppy drive is accessed ad-hocStrange files appear like stadistic log und tmpI have noticed that my floppy drive is being accessed ad-hoc although I wasn t using the computer at the time Trend Micro and Panda do not detect anything A Trojan called TRJ Netpass C was found and quarantined about weeks Floppy is drive accessed ad-hoc ago It s not possible to determine when the floppy will be accessed - it happens without warning or apparent reason It would give me peace of mind if my logs could be checked for malware etc My DDS Log DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by user at on Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT AV Trend Micro Internet Security On-access scanning enabled Updated D BC- CC- - E- E AF FW Trend Micro Personal Firewall enabled E E E- A D- -A F - EC F EB Running Floppy drive is accessed ad-hoc Processes C WINDOWS Floppy drive is accessed ad-hoc system nvsvc exeC WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunchsvchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcssvchost exesvchost exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS RTHDCPL EXEC Programme Trend Micro Internet Security UfSeAgnt exeC WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXEC Programme OO Software DiskImage OODITRAY EXEC WINDOWS system ctfmon exesvchost exeC Programme Trend Micro Internet Security SfCtlCom exeC WINDOWS System dmadmin exeC Programme OO Software DiskImage oodiag exeC Programme Trend Micro Internet Security TmProxy exeC Programme Trend Micro Internet Security TmPfw exeC Programme Trend Micro BM TMBMSRV exeC Dokumente und Einstellungen user Desktop dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page about blankuRun CTFMON EXE c windows system ctfmon exemRun RTHDCPL RTHDCPL EXEmRun SkyTel SkyTel EXEmRun Alcmtr ALCMTR EXEmRun UfSeAgnt exe quot c programme trend micro internet security UfSeAgnt exe quot mRun nwiz nwiz exe installquietmRun NvMediaCenter RUNDLL EXE c windows system NvMcTray dll NvTaskbarInitmRun NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE c windows system NvCpl dll NvStartupmRun OODITRAY EXE c programme oo software diskimage OODITRAY EXEdRun CTFMON EXE c windows system CTFMON EXEuPolicies-explorer NoSMMyPictures x uPolicies-explorer NoOnlinePrintsWizard x DPF B-B - D-A D -FCFDF E C - hxxp update microsoft com windowsupdate v V Controls en x client wuweb site cab FIREFOX FF - ProfilePath - c dokume user anwend mozilla firefox profiles x di voy default FF - prefs js browser search selectedEngine - LEO Eng-DeuFF - plugin d programme adobe acrobat reader browser nppdf dllFF - plugin d programme mozilla firefox plugins npstrlnk dllFF - plugin d programme mozilla firefox plugins npwachk dllFF - plugin d programme opera program plugins npdsplay dllFF - plugin d programme opera program plugins npwmsdrm dllFF - HiddenExtension Microsoft NET Framework Assistant a -c - ed- e - b - c windows microsoft net framework v windows presentation foundation dotnetassistantextension FF - HiddenExtension Java Console No Registry Reference - d programme mozilla firefox extensions CAFEEFAC- - - -ABCDEFFEDCBA ---- FIREFOX POLICIES ----d programme mozilla firefox greprefs all js - pref quot ui use native colors quot true d programme mozilla firefox greprefs all js - pref quot ui use native popup windows quot false d programme mozilla firefox greprefs all js - pref quot browser enable click image resizing quot true d programme mozilla firefox greprefs all js - pref quot accessibility browsewithcaret shortcut enabled quot true d programme mozilla firefox greprefs all js - pref quot javascript options mem high water mark quot d programme mozilla firefox greprefs all js - pref quot javascript options mem gc frequency quot d programme mozilla firefox greprefs all js - pref quot network auth force-generic-ntlm quot false d programme mozilla firefox greprefs all js - pref quot svg smil enabled quot false d programme mozilla firefox greprefs all js - pref quot ui trackpoint hack enabled quot - d programme mozilla firefox greprefs all js - pref quot browser formfill debug quot false d programme mozilla firefo... Read more

A:Floppy drive is accessed ad-hoc

Hello,My name is Syler and I will be helping you to solve your Malware issues. If you have since resolved your issues I would appreciate if youwould let me no so I can close this topic, if you still need help please let me no what issues you are still having, in your next reply.We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up.Download random's system information tool (RSIT) by random/random from here and save it to your desktop.Double click on RSIT.exe to run RSIT.Click Continue at the disclaimer screen.Once it has finished, two logs will open. Please post the contents of both log.txt (<<will be maximized) and info.txt (<<will be minimized)Please download GMER from one of the following locations, and save it to your desktop:Main MirrorThis version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zip MirrorThis version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs, as this process may crash your computer.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security program drivers will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double click on Gmer to run it.Allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.You may see a rootkit warning window, If you do, click No.Untick the following boxes on the right side of the Gmer screen.SectionsIAT/EATFilesShow AllClick on and wait for the scan to finish.If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.Push and save the logfile to your desktop.Copy and Paste the contents of that file in your next post.Then please post back here with the following: log.txt info.txt Gmer logThanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/292192/floppy-drive-is-accessed-ad-hoc/
Relevancy 51.6%

Everytime I shutdown or re-start my computer my 3 1/2" A drive is accessed. It grinds for a few second and then the system continues it's shutdown.

A:A Drive accessed on Shutdown

Hi There!

That's a basic sign of some Anti-virus programs. a final check to make sure there's no virus on the floppy!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/a-drive-accessed-on-shutdown.95449/
Relevancy 51.6%

this issue has started wednesday i plugged in the usb external hard drive and noticed a few things like i couldnt go into the drive with explorer. lately ive tried everything format, delete and new partition, safe mode, turing off ms processes, bunches of things. but what i can give to you guys is that chkdsk gives unexpected error 696e647863686b2e 1234 but its runs for a little while then gives error. hdtune gives the interface crc error count (so far its a little over 2000 goes up little bit everytime). i have plugged it into another pc to see if was just my laptop but nope. formatting and everything else does nothing even though it say it completed.this is the odd part i can access the 16gb fat32 partition but not the ntfs part. partition wizard is the only program that i can do things with this drive.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/35170-hard-drive-cant-accessed.html
Relevancy 51.17%

My hard drive is being continually accessed by what I believe to be a background process. The disk access light is not continuous but flickers every few seconds with an extended burst of activity perhaps once or twice a minute. The computer will not go into suspend or shut down the hard drive per the power reduction settings because of this.

Listing the active/background processes via msconfig and alt-ctrl-del task manager reveals nothing I can pinpoint as causing this problem. (I have turned off the "dumprep 0 -k" that was in the startup list and disabled ISP Ping functions.)

The same progams are installed and the same problem exists on both my notebook and dasktop.

Any suggestions or methods to correct this will be appreciated.

KLP

A:Hard Drive being Continually Accessed

Try to go into standby or hibernation. If it fails, look at the entries in your Event Viewer for information on why.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-being-continually-accessed.251705/
Relevancy 51.17%

My hard drive is continually being accessed and I cannot stop it I have tried everything that I know and nothing helps I have run Spybot Adaware AVG Crapcleaner Easy Cleaner Regirstry Mechanic and Ewido Following is my Hijackthis log can someone take a look at it and tell me if my computer is clean Thanks Hard Drive accessed...... being continually for any and all help Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT Hard Drive continually being accessed...... MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Sygate SPF smc exe C WINDOWS system brsvc a exe C WINDOWS system brss a exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe C Program Files ewido anti-malware ewidoctrl exe C Program Files ewido anti-malware Hard Drive continually being accessed...... ewidoguard exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Webroot Spy Sweeper SpySweeper exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files TrojanHunter THGuard exe C Program Files Support com bin tgcmd exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Share-to-Web hpgs wnd exe C Program Files Roxio Easy CD Creator DragToDisc DrgToDsc exe C PROGRA HEWLET HPSHAR hpgs wnf exe C Program Files Roxio Easy Hard Drive continually being accessed...... CD Creator AudioCentral RxMon exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgemc exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe C Program Files Webroot Spy Sweeper SpySweeperUI exe C Program Files Roxio Easy CD Creator AudioCentral Playlist exe C Program Files Yahoo Messenger ymsgr tray exe C Program Files Siber Systems AI RoboForm RoboTaskBarIcon exe C Program Files Trend Micro Tmas Tmas exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Distillr acrotray exe C Program Files BellSouth Connection Manager CManager exe C PROGRA BROADJ CORREC CCD exe C WINDOWS system wbem wmiapsrv exe C PROGRA MOZILL THUNDE EXE C Program Files Crazy Browser Crazy Browser exe C Program Files Webroot Spy Sweeper SSU EXE C Documents and Settings Owner Desktop hijackthis hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www can-discount com salesforce index php ref ST R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page O - BHO Yahoo Companion BHO - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn ycomp dll O - BHO no name - d a - d - d - - e a - C Program Files Siber Systems AI RoboForm RoboForm dll O - Toolbar amp RoboForm - d a - d - d - - e a - C Program Files Siber Systems AI RoboForm RoboForm dll O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn ycomp dll O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run THGuard quot C Program Files TrojanHunter THGuard exe quot O - HKLM Run tgcmd quot C Program Files Support com bin tgcmd exe quot server nosystray O - HKLM Run Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon quot C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Share-to-Web hpgs wnd exe quot O - HKLM Run RoxioDragToDisc quot C Program Files Roxio Easy CD Creator DragToDisc DrgToDsc exe quot O - HKLM Run RoxioAudioCentral quot C Program Files Roxio Easy CD Creator AudioCentral RxMon exe quot O - HKLM Run AVG EMC C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgemc exe O - HKLM Run AVG CC quot C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe quot STARTUP O - HKLM Run SmcService quot C PROGRA Sygate SPF smc exe quot -startgui O - HKLM Run SpySweeper quot C Program Files Webroot Spy Sweeper SpySweeperUI exe quot startintray O - HKLM Run MSConfig quot C WINDOWS PCHealth HelpCtr Binaries MSConfig exe quot auto O - HKCU Run Yahoo Pager quot C Program Files Yahoo Messenger yp... Read more

Relevancy 51.17%

First of all I have three flash drives and they work just fine I have problem with this I have Medion GB USB Flash Drive isn t working on my computer It was working fine yesterday The light comes on However flash drive It isn t showing up in the drive list Second I went to My computer and looked up DISK MANAGEMENT Flash drive isn t listed there I checked my other three flash drives and Drive Flash by computer accessed isn't my they are listed Flash Drive isn't accessed by my computer on disk management Now more details I am using Dell Windows bit PC Everything was ok until today I downloaded movie I have about movies in there and checked flash drive with Norton Antivirus just to make sure there are no viruses As usual I had no viruses however All of the sudden flash drive stopped responding it flashes but I cannot open it I hear clicking sound like computer is trying to open it and nothing is happening Please help My Medion GB USB Flash Drive drive It is usually showed being drive I I hear clicking sound I see glowing blue light on on flash drive like computer is trying to open it and nothing is happening Please help Is there any way to recover files

A:Flash Drive isn't accessed by my computer

You probably need to add or change the drive letter...take a look at this link and see if it helps...http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...-a-drive-letter

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/335313/flash-drive-isnt-accessed-by-my-computer/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have two hard drives on my system, one is partitioned as the C & D drive, the other was partitioned as my F drive.
I have just run a window XP upgrade. Before the upgrade all drives were accessible. After the upgrade I am able to acces the C&D partitions, but my F drive no longer appears. The system does recognise ths drive in disk manager (but reports the whole drive as unassigned).

Please can someone let me knwo how I can access my F drive.

A:XP Upgrade 2nd hard drive cannot be accessed

From what did you upgrade?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-upgrade-2nd-hard-drive-cannot-be-accessed.32000/
Relevancy 51.17%

I am using Win7-Ult and my CD drive is now only showing in win explorer when writing to the disc. The programs I use can "see" the drive, but I can't. Any ideas?

A:CD Drive only shows in Win Explorer when it is being accessed

In explorer go to tools,folder options, and under the view tab look for a "hide empty drives in Computer Folder". If its checked uncheck it and see if that helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/190891-cd-drive-only-shows-win-explorer-when-being-accessed.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Installing Windows 7 Professional on a recently formatted HHD, formatted in NTFS with default sizing.
When I boot to the Windows installation disk, the list of available drives is empty. Yet when I click on 'Load Driver' then browse, the target disk is able to be read from.
How can I make Windows install to this disk?

Mediocre Access 2010 | (Baby) Beginner C Sharp | OK at Active Directory (2012 R2) | Fragmented understanding of DNS/DHCP | Laughable experience with Group Policy | Expert question asker on MSDN Forums

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ed851c4b-9405-467d-b4fb-bed51b2d5dd4/installation-drive-not-appearing-but-can-be-accessed?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 51.17%

I sounds like my fixed drive is allways being accessed. Is there a way to check that
and make it quit.
Thank you,

A:Fixed drive is allways being accessed.

Hit Ctrl + Alt + Del keys to open the Task Manager. Here you can see what programs and processes are running. You could have a defrag, malware, anti-virus program running on a schedule. A;lso take a look at your status bar to see what is also running.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fixed-drive-is-allways-being-accessed.821963/
Relevancy 51.17%

When idle the hard drive seems to be accessed regularly It looks like a lot of activity from ati evxx exe lsass exe wirelesscm exe I originally had the xp antivirus problem but just couldn t seem to get rid of the malware so I reinstalled the system incuding a few files that I had transferred to a backup drive Did I get reinfected Here are my log files Any help would constantly drive Hard accessed be appreciated I ran Malwarebytes and Superantispyware but did Hard drive constantly accessed not pick up anything Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost Hard drive constantly accessed exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C PROGRA COMMON AOL ACS AOLacsd exe C Program Files Common Files Mcafee Hard drive constantly accessed McSvcHost McSvHost exe C WINDOWS system mfevtps exe C Program Files McAfee Online Backup MOBKbackup exe C Program Files Netscape Internet Service ncupdatesvc exe C Program Files Common Files New Boundary PrismXL PRISMXL SYS C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C Program Files Common Files McAfee SystemCore mcshield exe C Program Files Common Files McAfee SystemCore mfefire exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system rundll exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD PDVDServ exe C Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktop exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe C Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktopIndex exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C PROGRA COMMON AOL AOLSPY AOLSP Scheduler exe C WINDOWS stsystra exe C Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktopDisplay exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe C WINDOWS sm hlpr exe C Program Files Intel Wireless bin ZCfgSvc exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe C Program Files McAfee com Agent mcagent exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exe C Program Files D-Link DWA- revE wirelesscm exe C PROGRA Intel Wireless Bin Dot XCfg exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe c PROGRA mcafee com agent McUpdate exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Program Files Trend Micro HiJackThis HiJackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http www gateway com g sidepanel html Ch Consumer amp Br GTW amp Loc ENG US amp Sys PTB amp M M -E R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www gateway com g startpage html Ch Consumer amp Br GTW amp Loc ENG US amp Sys PTB amp M M -E R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant http www gateway com g sidepanel html Ch Consumer amp Br GTW amp Loc ENG US amp Sys PTB amp M M -E R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default http search yahoo com search fr mcafee amp p s s R - URLSearchHook McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - EBBBE -BAD - B C- E A- ABECAE - c progra mcafee sitead mcieplg dll O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO PBlockHelper Class - B- FF- DD - -F BEDE EB - C PROGRA NE... Read more

Relevancy 51.17%

Hello,

I've been working in the "Am I infected" area and getting that under control now. I am having some slow computer issues which I think is due to a constantly accessed hard drive. I have done CTL- ALT-DELETE to see what processes are running and the most resources seem to be sucked up by System Idle Process. How do I figure it out further?

Also been trying to follow the startup guide and advice but having some trouble exactly understanding how to use the Autoruns. Just worry about the login or do I have to check every .dll file and so forth?

I have Zonealarm, AVG free, SUPERantivirus, Malwarebytes loaded.

Any advice is appreciated.

A:Hard drive constantly being accessed

System Idle Process is exactly where you want the CPU usage to be, especially when you are not using the computer for other things. That is what shows how much of CPU is FREE, or not being used. Mine is usually sitting at around 95.

What kind of processor do you have, how much ram do you have installed and what programs does Autoruns show you have set to run on startup?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/292887/hard-drive-constantly-being-accessed/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi all I have a week-and-a-half old desktop I like the system but I m having what I hope is a minor problem that drive Hard constantly,... accessed being can be fixed I want to Hard drive being accessed constantly,... preface this post with a forewarning that I m not very knoweldgeable about computers and this Hard drive being accessed constantly,... will likely be reflected in the language that I use I have run the Belarc Advisor and I ll first give you my basic system specs before I delve into the specifics of the problem Operating System Windows Home Premium x build Processor Ghz Intel Core i HDD Hitachi Deskstar K C TB - M Cache RPM Gb s RAM GB Video Card Nvidia GeForce GTS GB If you need more information about my system I ll be glad to provide it Also I m using a HDTV as my display using an HDMI cord I ve been having a problem with my hard drive since Wednesday Early Wednesday I downloaded a few Youtube videos in flv format using the Savetube website Then I installed FLV Player All seemed well when I left the computer for a few hours However when I came back to the comp early in the evening I could hear the hard drive making the usual sound it does when it s being accessed only it makes that noise nonstop The HDD access indicator light also flashes on and off constantly I believe this is only the case when I m running Windows It does not occur when the system is booting up I let the problem persist for a day before I started to address it The first thing I did was install the antivirus and antispyware programs that I had been meaning to install The programs I m using are AVG Internet Security and SUPERantispyware Professional I ran scans with both of these and they say my sytem is free from any viruses malware The second thing I did was open the Computer window on the taskbar and right click on drive C click quot Properties quot and choose the quot error-checking quot option under the quot Tools quot tab I checked both the quot Automatically fix file system errors quot and quot Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors quot options Next I restarted and let the scan take place over the next couple of hours The scan reported no problems with the drive Next I started searching the web for problems similar to mine I watched a few Youtube videos of the sounds hard drives make before they crash Specifically I watched this video of a Hitachi Deskstar s quot click of death quot http www youtube com watch v ObFaluqo eA I don t believe the sound I m hearing is the same as the one in this video even though they sound similar The sound I m hearing is identical to the sound of a hard drive reading or writing which I m very familiar with After this I looked at a few threads on forums where people had similar problems The first thing I did was go to the Computer window and right-click on Drive C again I cut off file indexing for Windows and all of its folders and files It would not allow me to cut off indexing for system files I don t know if that s normal or not Then I checked how much of my CPU s power and RAM were being used via Task Manager The percent usage of my CPU varies falling between - - of my RAM was being used I checked the Processes tab under task manager and I added the quot I O Reads quot tab Sorted from most reads to least reads SUPERantispyware reads the most followed by several instances of iexplore exe I suppose the latter is due to me browsing using multiple tabs in Internet Explorer Also here are all the programs I ve installed since the day the problem began FLV Player AVG Windows Live Essentials Bing Bar Microsoft Visual C Redistributable - x Visual Studio x Redistributables SUPERAntiSpyware Belarc Advisor Anyway I m not sure if this is a problem with software accessing the hard drive whether my hard drive is in the early stages of crashing or whether this is some other problem Hope I ve provided enough information Any help would be appreciated

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/397330/hard-drive-being-accessed-constantly/
Relevancy 50.74%

I thought there might be something under event viewer - or some log like that?

I know the last action on the removable drive (a usb pen drive) was a straight file copy over an existing file, producting the standard "Confirm File Replace" dialogue.

Basically, the pen drive itself has gone missing and it might help if I knew when it was last used.

A:Is there a way to trace when a removable drive was last accessed on a specific pc?

Bump?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/is-there-a-way-to-trace-when-a-removable-drive-was-last-accessed-on-a-specific-pc-371372.html
Relevancy 50.74%

it's a 160GB Sata when ever i start up the PC it is saying drive not detected. i checked the CMOS and it showed the hear drive fine there, then i tried hard drive hirens boot cd and used the win xp mini boot option, whent to the disk manger and i didn't even see the drive there. tried my windows xp disk (tweeted with the sata drivers) to see if i could repair it or even format it but when it reached that point i saw the drive but it was saying that the drive could not be formated.

How can i make the drive accessible once more?
or if i have to even format it.

A:Hard drive found if CMOS but cannot be accessed

Make sure there is no raid feature enabled in BIOS, verify the drive shows up, and also that sata controller is enabled (in ide mode if applicable). use auto settings on drive if not already. save and exit test..might also try disabling umda or lba, or dma if its an older style sata drive,...can always change back or load defaults

also make certain the jumper isn't loose, set properly, and of course disconnect-reconnect drive cables

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-found-if-cmos-but-cannot-be-accessed.975635/
Relevancy 50.74%

I posted this thread in the Hard Drive section and they told me to move it here I still feel it's a hard drive problem but I may be wrong Hi can't but accessed exist Drive be folders/files there Yesterday I was on my computer looking at a friend's picture on Facebook when I started getting a bunch of harddrive errors Hard drive failure and some others I believe A program called Windows Repair popped up on my screen after it downloaded itself to my desktop see pic My computer ran the same after these messages kept popping up Drive folders/files exist but can't be accessed but when I went to click on my C Drive icon it was completely empty I had a external hard drive attached to my computer as well and it was empty too Seagate TB I noticed all of my shortcuts on my desktop looked subdued Drive folders/files exist but can't be accessed and I couldn't click on any of them They even began to disappear Also when I would go to Start and All Programs nothing was there I ran some full malware scans and the Windows Repair program was gone for good The malware was gone but my hard drive problem was still there I tried the 'stickied' thread's solution but nothing happened when I went to restart the computer I did everything it said but it didn't work Also a Files Needed window keeps popping up saying I need SynTPCo dll see attached pic It's hard to explain but I'll give it a shot The files still exist but do not show up If I can find a way to get to the programs they still work as if they're still stored on my computer there's just no way to get to them sounds dumb I know For example if I have a website shortcut saved on my desktop I can still use Firefox by clicking on that shortcut but no Firefox exe can't be found on my computer anywhere Also I know the files still exist because when I was going to Save As something I could still see all of my folders in the window when I was looking for a place to save No matter what I do it still says that the drive is connected correctly and that it out of GB full The whole thing is really frustrating me I've spent hours researching the problem and I can't seem to find a solution I know this may sound difficult to understand because I probably didn't explain it very well but I hope maybe someone understands what I am saying and can help me out I'm not sure all that is needed to know but I have a Compaq R with Windows XP bought in I was using Firefox when this happened Thank you so much for your time and interest I hope I have given enough info for there to be some sort of help I'm not the smartest when it comes to this sort of thing so please bear with me Thanks again -Bryan Below are the logs from the malware scans First one Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Malwarebytes Database version Windows Service Pack Safe Mode Internet Explorer PM mbam-log- - - - - txt Scan type Full scan C D E Z Objects scanned Time elapsed minute s second s Memory Processes Infected Memory Modules Infected RegistryKeys Infected Registry Values Infected Registry Data Items Infected Folders Infected Files Infected Memory Processes Infected No malicious items detected Memory Modules Infected No malicious items detected Registry Keys Infected No malicious items detected Registry Values Infected HKEY CURRENT USER SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Run JmpyxPEOWqPO Trojan Downloader - gt Value JmpyxPEOWqPO - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully Registry Data Items Infected HKEY CURRENT USER SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Policies ActiveDesktop NoChangingWallPaper PUM Hijack DisplayProperties - gt Bad Good - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully HKEY CURRENT USER SOFTWARE Policies Microsoft Internet Explorer Control Panel HomePage Hijack Homepage - gt Bad Good - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully Folders Infected No malicious items detected Files Infected c documents and settings all users application data jmpyxpeowqpo exe Trojan Downloader - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully c documents and settings a... Read more

A:Drive folders/files exist but can't be accessed

Welcome to TSF :)

You were infected with a rogue program.

Download Combofix from this webpage: A guide and tutorial on using ComboFix

**Note: It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**

--------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Close any open browsers.

2. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.When finished, it will produce a report for you.
Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt" .
Note:
Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/drive-folders-files-exist-but-cant-be-accessed-562089.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Guys About a month ago I started noticing that my hard drive was beginning to be accessed for long periods of time sometimes for a whole minute or two I first noticed it when I would start Windows Live Mail While the accesses are going on the computer runs other tasks very slowly or is Drive Hard Accessed Minutes for Time...??? Why a at My Being not at all Sometimes Why is My Hard Drive Being Accessed for Minutes at a Time...??? the mouse cursor disappears until the accesses slow down Now this kind of thing is happening more often Why is My Hard Drive Being Accessed for Minutes at a Time...??? In fact as I'm typing this it's going on I started the Task Manager and looked at the Performance tab and while the memory was active at about the processor was only tied up less than of the time I check the anti-virus program when this is going on and there is no scan activity in progress Also there is no Windows update being downloaded I've run a full scan with MSE and I downloaded the latest version of Malwarebytes and ran it Both of the programs reported no viruses or malware on the machine I would normally think that Windows is doing something in the background but since I haven't made any changes to the operating system settings recently I don't know why this disk activity should suddenly show up Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this disk activity Is it possible that the hard drive is starting to fail and the OS is doing extra accesses to try to recover from read or write errors The computer is about five years old and the hard disk is the original Any help will be appreciated Bob

A:Why is My Hard Drive Being Accessed for Minutes at a Time...???

I don't know you didn't mention what the process was. When this starts to happen close out all running programs in use IE: Firefox etc. Open task manager by pressing ctrl+shift+esc. Go to process tab and at the bottom click the button Show all processes from all users. This will change the view and you can see your user name/system/network service/local service processes. Expand the window to full screen. Monitor which process is using the cpu the most. Disregard the System Idle Process at cpu 97-99% this is normal. Make a note of all the processes using cpu %. Some may fluctuate 0-1% this is also normal behavior. Look for any steady ones.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/553930/why-is-my-hard-drive-being-accessed-for-minutes-at-a-time/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi A couple weeks ago I bought an external Seagate drive got a heck of a deal on it - GB USB Firewire for with a couple of rebates at Buy com I was gonna go with a Maxtor OneTouch II because it has DriveLock - a feature that supposedly lets you completely lock the drive from being accessed by intruders not hackers but people in your own home office but the price on seen/accessed... files on drive help/ideas lock being a from need how I USB to made a big difference and I went I need help/ideas on how to lock files on a USB drive from being seen/accessed... with the Seagate drive There is no tool on this drive to let me password lock it I need to find a way if possible to either lock the drive from being accessed from ANY computer or at least find a way to lock and encrypt the files again the goal is to prevent people from seeing the contents of the drive and using it altogether even if they access it from another PC I have seen a couple of software apps like Folder Lock that promise to do this but that works only if someone I need help/ideas on how to lock files on a USB drive from being seen/accessed... were to I need help/ideas on how to lock files on a USB drive from being seen/accessed... use my PC The drive is the ST CB-RK - this line Is this possible And if it s not what are the alternatives I m pretty pissed about this You would think that this being and all these drives would come default with more advanced tools and software Thanks a lot in advance nbsp

A:I need help/ideas on how to lock files on a USB drive from being seen/accessed...

HERE is a link that may help. If not, continue to check the "security" section of this site for freeware that can help. I think this might do the trick though.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-need-help-ideas-on-how-to-lock-files-on-a-usb-drive-from-being-seen-accessed.448032/
Relevancy 50.74%

When the user goes to start,programs the floppy drive is accessed.We have tried removing any recently added programs and we changed the floppy drive. This is a NT workstation platform. Any suggestions?

A:{Resolved} - floppy drive improperly accessed

Greetings

Sometimes this is caused by virus software... or it could be that a user opened up a document straight from the a: drive and the shortcut to it is still in the RECENT folder. Delete all the shortcuts from that directory (in the person's profile) and see if that helps
Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/resolved-floppy-drive-improperly-accessed.29200/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi guys,
I recently bought a Toshiba satellite click mini, tried to use my external hard drive but its not showing up at all. Any ideas on how to fix this?
its a Seagate 250gb hard drive. Thanks in advance

A:Satellite click mini not reconising external hard drive or external DVD drive

Originally Posted by rachel.nickells

Hi guys,
I recently bought a Toshiba satellite click mini, tried to use my external hard drive but its not showing up at all. Any ideas on how to fix this?
its a Seagate 250gb hard drive. Thanks in advance

Is it usb powered? If so does the hard drive spin up? Are there any clicking noises from the drive?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?83630-Satellite-click-mini-not-reconising-external-hard-drive-or-external-DVD-drive
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi,

I am trying to re-install xp pro on my Toshiba Notebook with an external DVD drive. I am able to boot from the drive and the blue "windows setup" screen begins to load.

After I press enter to set up Window XP, it says "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your comptuer...Press F3 to quit.

I am stumped. If I quit setup and I can reboot and load my original windows. Therefore, the hard disk is present and works fine.

How do I get the windows setup to see the hard drive and proceed with setup?

Thanks.
Dw1256

A:Solved: Install Windows with External Dvd Drive - Hard drive not found?

It is usually because the installation cannot recognise the SATA driver for the hard disc
If you have a usb drive load from Toshiba the sata controller drivers
so on the screen for the install you press F6 load drivers and then load the sata driver from the usb - I say usb as I presume you do not have a floppy drive
OR you can include them in a reburnt CD using nLite but that is a longer way round the problem
Nlite

http://www.nliteos.com/guide/part2.html

OR you can TRY try this

Enter your BIOS/Setup Utility
Locate the Serial ATA or SATA configuration section
I&#8217;ve seen this section called &#8216;On Chip Config&#8217; on some Phoenix Award BIOS

On Lenovo/IBM ThinkPads it&#8217;s in Config > Serial ATA (Sata)
Change the mode of the SATA controller from AHCI to IDE or Compatibility
Save & Exit
Reboot and begin the Windows Setup again.
If Windows Setup successfully detects your hard disk this time then go ahead and perform the Windows Setup.
When Windows setup completes change the mode back to AHCI in the BIOS

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-install-windows-with-external-dvd-drive-hard-drive-not-found.1120234/
Relevancy 50.31%

I recently bought an old used PC Dell XPS Gen Pentium GHz GB RAM installed my TB SATA hard drive and a new install of Windows XP SP I ve also got an IDE hard drive in there with lots of media files on it I ve been trying to copy or move files from an external USB hard drive to the IDE drive but nearly every time I try to do so Windows Explorer or Q-Dir will lock up drive move files up IDE to or copy locks Windows from to XP try external when drive I with the progress bar showing very little progress I have been able to copy a few small files successfully but anything else seems to crash it I ve checked for DMA Windows XP locks up when I try to copy or move files from external drive to IDE drive PIO status and have found that it has reverted to PIO several times and I ve deleted the primary IDE channel in device manager so that it would reinstall with DMA mode The problem persists My device manager shows two primary IDE channels and one secondary IDE channel I have the SATA hard drive IDE hard drive and SATA DVD burner installed Any ideas Thanks Windows XP locks up when I try to copy or move files from external drive to IDE drive

A:Windows XP locks up when I try to copy or move files from external drive to IDE drive

can you write a file to the drive?
any files you can open on the drive? Or do you get access denied when you try to open a file?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-locks-up-when-i-try-to-copy-or-move-files-from-external-drive-to-ide-drive-560487.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi I have a PC and a laptop both running Vista business and linked through a common workgroup I can see and read files from each machine from either of them but can not write onto the remote drives either from Desktop to Laptop or vice-versa When I try to add myself as a user from the remote machine in each respective drive properties advanced sharing permissions Add Group or user names the remote machine is Shared drive to desktop add Can't user accessed laptop not listed in the Locations however both machines are networked within the same workgroup and I can see files remotely The only Group or user names appearing in the list right now is quot Everyone quot with only Read privileges I don t want to give Full control to Everyone So I need to add my username from the Can't add laptop user to Shared accessed desktop drive remote machine to this Can't add laptop user to Shared accessed desktop drive list but don t find the way to do it When I use quot Find now quot from the Select Users or Group all I get is users list from the local machine nbsp Can't add laptop user to Shared accessed desktop drive

Relevancy 49.88%

my win7 notebook cant see my xppro desktop external usb drive. it does access the desktop internal hard drives ok.

the usb drive is visible in the tree but clicking it shows the msg '...drive is not accessible. you might not have permissions...etc'.

i think the problem is xp related cause the desktop also has win7 & when i boot to that the win7 notebook sees the usb drive ok.

the thing thats really bugging me is why it sees the desktop internal hard drives ok but not the usb drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-drive-conn-to-xp-desktop-cant-be-accessed-by-win7-laptop-1068498.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I have a Toshiba Portege Z -P that crashed yesterday on a flight when it ran out every reset being drive 4-5 and accessed seconds screen Hard of power Since then when it starts every - seconds the desktop will disappear and reappear The hard drive is being accessed every seconds or so If I want to do anything e g access system recovery run chkdsk I have that period or - seconds to either enter the command or click the icons in which to do so else the screen goes blank and then the desktop reappears Once I get into the chkdsk or system restore screens I can continue to work although the screen is Hard drive being accessed and screen reset every 4-5 seconds disappearing and reappearing in the background When I ran system restore after repeated attempts it fails saying that it failed Hard drive being accessed and screen reset every 4-5 seconds to extract Hard drive being accessed and screen reset every 4-5 seconds the file c Program Files x intel opencl sdk bin x odcpubackend dll from the restore point There may be bad sectors on the disk Run chkdsk r Scan disk says there are no errors with the SSD I also periodically get a message when booting up that there was a failure to connect to the group policy client service Any help would be appreciated

A:Hard drive being accessed and screen reset every 4-5 seconds

You do not want to run chkdsk /r on a SSD.  You should use the /f switch...  chkdsk /f

If you have enough time to set up the chkdsk you should have enough time to run sfc /scannow.

Please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To open the Command Prompt press the Windows key and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste in sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

This will take a while,  have patience and allow it finish.  Stopping this scan could damage files.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

To find sfc /scannow log, reopen the Elevated Command Prompt using the Windows key and the X key method outlined in the instructions above. 

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the following in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.  

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611753/hard-drive-being-accessed-and-screen-reset-every-4-5-seconds/
Relevancy 49.88%

laptop/win7 accesses the internal drives in the xp desktop but wont access the usb drive conn to it, it only shows it in the tree but cant get at the folders.

must be xp issue cause if I boot desktop to win7 it accesses the usb hard drive ok.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/386301-usb-drive-conn-xp-desktop-cant-accessed-win7-laptop.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I am having the following issue:
I mapped a network drive to a Win Server 2003. However when I access it it takes ~20 sec before any new folder opens up. Any software initiallized on the remote drive also initializes for very long time to a point it is useless.

I believe it is related to credentials...

I use Workgroup and boths W2K3 Server and W7 Prof have accounts with the same name and password.

When I disconnect and restart then map - it works fine but after a restart (with mapp on initialization checked) it is very slow again.

A:Mapped Network drive freezes for few sec when any folder is accessed.

What A/V do you have running on the server?? That can slow it down. Unless your workstation scans Network Mapped Drives??

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/139283-mapped-network-drive-freezes-few-sec-when-any-folder-accessed.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Here s an imaginary situation For curiosities sake two independent motherboards are present in a case installed in such accessed different by Can if one be accessed HDD times? two at motherboards a way that only one could be on at a time Let s say that one motherboard is an intel chip with hardware configured to run windows and let s say that the other is an apple motherboard configured for OS X Lion And there is a three way switch on the case giving power to only one board at a time If the motherboards were both run to one hard drive could both motherboards access the hard Can one HDD be accessed by two motherboards if accessed at different times? drive and function normally so long only one of them was on at a time I am assuming that they would be able to the board Can one HDD be accessed by two motherboards if accessed at different times? set up for windows would search Can one HDD be accessed by two motherboards if accessed at different times? the drive for its partition and read and write to it and the board set up for mac would search for its partition and read and write to it And before things get nuts yes I know that you don t need to do this and that you can dual boot mac windows blah blah blah I am just curious as to whether or not it is possible If you have to know why I ask I am considering a mod to put an xbox mobo and a ps slim mobo into an xbox case in with a micro atx psu and a hdd the case mod being a homage to phantom crash and slai the setup would only run these two games off the hdd nbsp

A:Can one HDD be accessed by two motherboards if accessed at different times?

In theory, if the power to the HDD also switches to the corresponding motherboard, yeah it should be possible. (see EDIT below)

But this switching-idea must also be applied to the data cable running to the HDD. The cable must not be connected to both motherboards at the same time, that would cause internal confusion.

But in theory, a multi-port power switch could do the job, sure.

EDIT:
Keep in mind, for your splendid idea: you need (at least) two separate partitions on the HDD, one formatted in FATX, and one formatted in (whatever format the PS2 uses). It is possible to format two different partitions on a drive in different formats, but it is tricky.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-one-hdd-be-accessed-by-two-motherboards-if-accessed-at-different-times.169091/
Relevancy 49.88%

i'm using windows 7, my external hard drive shows up in my devices and printers section but it won't show up as a drive, so i can't view any files in that external hard drive. if i put a memory card in, it shows up as a drive and a flag shows up for when i want to unplug that drive and it asks if i want to remove my external hard drive too.

normally when i turn on the external hard drive it autoplays but it doesn't do that anymore.

i don't understand why it shows up in my devices and printers but not as a drive when i open windows explorer.

i've looked into the external hard drives properties and it all says that the device is working properly.

A:problem with external hard drive not showing as a drive in windows 7

Go into Control Panel (classic view) ---> Administrative Tools ---> Computer Management ---> Disk Management.

In bottom-right pane, if you see a horizontal band representing a drive with no drive-letter assigned to it, that's the cause of your problem. You need to give it a drive-letter:

Right-click that horizontal band and choose "Change drive letter and paths".

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problem-with-external-hard-drive-not-showing-as-a-drive-in-windows-7-a-505756.html
Relevancy 49.88%

hi there,
i just bought a preowned Seagate Freeagent Goflex,when i plugged it into my usb port windows installed the driver,but when i click on my computer it dosnt show though in disk management it is listed and online,i also have enabled automount and changed it from dynamic to basic.
Im not great on computers and any help would be greatly appreciated i only want to use the new disk for back ups.
Many thanks in advance.
paul.

A:windows wont allocate drive letter to external drive

Please post a full screenshot of Windows Disk Management with only the Seagate Freeagent GoFlex external drive plugged in. ( Plug out all other external drives). Please read this tutorial and adhere to the guidelines therein to post a full Screenshot disabling Console Tree, Action Pane and adjusting the seperators as necessary to show all information. Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/395666-windows-wont-allocate-drive-letter-external-drive.html
Relevancy 49.88%

hi there,
i just bought a preowned Seagate Freeagent Goflex,when i plugged it into my usb port windows installed the driver,but when i click on my computer it dosnt show though in disk management it is listed and online,i also have enabled automount and changed it from dynamic to basic.
Im not great on computers and any help would be greatly appreciated i only want to use the new disk for back ups.
Many thanks in advance.
paul.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/395666-windows-wont-allocat-drive-letter-external-drive.html
Relevancy 49.45%

ok i am running windows xp and recently i have been experienceing massive slowdowns on my computer when it starts up but not every time it starts up Everything appears to load up fine but then all of a sudden the hard drive starts for [Resolved] apparent Hard accessed being drive reason, no constantly going mental for something like half an hour or so at least for no apparent reason When i bring up task manager after waiting about mins for it to load i can shut down all the non-essential tasks except for of them i click on end process but they do not disappear These tasks are called SCRFS exe [Resolved] Hard drive being accessed constantly for no apparent reason, and wkalsc exe or something similar cant remember the exact name for the second one No matter how many times i tell task manager to end these tasks they do not disappear [Resolved] Hard drive being accessed constantly for no apparent reason, This is getting [Resolved] Hard drive being accessed constantly for no apparent reason, very frustrating as it is a bit of a lottery as to whether my computer will start up correctly or not Also i have noticed that every mins or so there is a new instance of the SCRFS exe showing up on task manager as a running process i think this may be the problem but i m not I have seen it on this list as many as times in one go so far Any ideas whats causing this any and all help will be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:[Resolved] Hard drive being accessed constantly for no apparent reason,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/resolved-hard-drive-being-accessed-constantly-for-no-apparent-reason.130832/
Relevancy 49.45%

I got a new laptop with Vista, and this is the 4th problem I've had with Vista in the first week I've had it. but anyways:

Quite often, I will boot up the computer and for the first 5 or 10 minutes after windows loads, the hard drive LED is constantly on and flashing, and there are no applications open that would explain why. This is disturbing to me because it seems like it would greatly reduce the life of my hard drive, and this computer has to last me for at least 4 years, until I'm done with college. Any help is greatly appreciated, because I don't even know where to start to fix this.

A:[SOLVED] New Vista computer, Hard drive constantly accessed

This is normal for Vista I'm afraid and is due to the Superfetch facility. It is possible to turn this off, but it will slow down loading of programs. The best thing to do is go and make yourself a cup of tea whilst it's loading.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-new-vista-computer-hard-drive-constantly-accessed-173485.html
Relevancy 49.45%

i have a freecom external hard drive. it was working fine until one day it decided to stop working.

this light on the drive lights up but i can't hear anything working inside it. and now it won't show up as a drive when i open windows explorer.

please help?

A:External hard drive not showing as a drive in windows 7

Hi have you tried it in another computer to see if it works there

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-hard-drive-not-showing-as-a-drive-in-windows-7-a-541782.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hello all This is puzzling me my windows backup is also backing up one of my external drives I have as well is as drive Windows external C my drive up an backing well as Backup as my 'C' drive yes the one I do want to back up Windows Backup is backing up an external drive as well as my C drive I am looking all over trying to find where I can stop this I am backing up to an external drive and no its not the same drive that's being backed up Here is my set-up Primary Drive quot C quot external drive quot F quot external drive quot G quot external drive quot H quot external drive quot I quot The quot F quot drive is one of my external drives As you can see in the screen shot drive C and F are being backed up Now I want to only back up my quot C quot drive to the quot I quot drive and have that set to do once per week That is what I have it set for I am allowing Windows to choose the files for me Does someone know why this is happening and how to stop it Thanks to all for your help

A:Windows Backup is backing up an external drive as well as my C drive

Windows Backup works in mysterious ways.

That's one of the reason many avoid it. It's not intuitive or easily understood.

It has it's own idea of what needs to be backed up.

Post a screen shot of Windows Disk Management.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/393355-windows-backup-backing-up-external-drive-well-my-c-drive.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Dell Inspiron 14 3000 Series
I have this laptop. My question is why would you sell a computer with 32GB hard drive when you know the OS will take up 20GB? How am I supposed to use this computer? I can't upgrade the HD and why should I buy an external drive for a laptop?
I am so utterly confused.
Thanks

A:Can't use laptop because Windows 10 is using 90% of the hard drive, what can I do besides using an external drive?

This isn't a true notebook - it's a glorified tablet/internet appliance.  It's fine as a Windows substitute for a chromebook, but forget running anything demanding on it -- it's designed for a single purpose:  to be inexpensive.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19995393
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi everyone My CD drive on my laptop is broken and I want to buy a cheap external disc drive I was wondering if this would do the trick Portable USB DVD CD DVD ROM Sata External Case Slim FOR Laptop Notebook OH eBay First of it says is a caddy enclosure does it mean 7 For Windows CD Drive External its a full CD Drive or just some kind of case with connectors where you plop in a real disc drive And second it External CD Drive For Windows 7 doesn't mention if it would work with windows it only says Windows SE ME NT XP or MAC OS above Also I've been trying to install Windows XP on a partition from a second hard drive but my External CD Drive For Windows 7 task has been made infinitely harder without a disc drive Though I've made some bootable USB drive using Rufus and Wintoflash the installation will usually fail at some point though it does initially allow me to boot into the XP installation txt mode I tried various XP ISOs A while ago before External CD Drive For Windows 7 I had to format all my hard drives on the same hardware I did successfully install XP but at the time I had a working disc drive Could I possibly use this cheap external hard drive to install XP My BIOS does allow in the boot order to boot from an external USB drive external CD drive

A:External CD Drive For Windows 7

You typically don't need a cd.. as in u can use a usb drive to do the same if you want.. i mean only if you want to buy a cd go ahead

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/329480-external-cd-drive-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I haven t been able to use my external drive to burn a backup disk for my PC I use XP Windows External Drive Using with an external drive Using External Drive with Windows XP made by Using External Drive with Windows XP Yamaha model CRW FXZ There does not appear to be anything wrong with the hardware -- it s compatible with both PC s and Mac s and I ve used it with my Mac successfully Anyway the Yamaha Using External Drive with Windows XP drive works with two kinds of software the software that comes with Windows XP drop and drag and Nero which is actually for Windows but should be okay to use with Windows XP In the past I ve used the Windows XP software successfully but now when I try to copy it will say quot preparing to copy quot and show a picture depicting copying taking place but then it will get interrupted and say quot E is not accessible Incorrect function quot I ve put CD-R s that I burned in the past in the Yamaha drive using the CD-R s from the same package and I m able to access those files through the Yamaha drive so again the drive appears to be working fine and there is a connection with my PC I also tried using the Nero software With that I go through the whole process to burn -- it appears on the screen like it is burning and then says that the burning was a success but the CD-R remains blank Ideally I d like to get it to work again without the Nero software Can anyone help me out with this nbsp

Relevancy 46.87%

Can I install Windows 10 using an external DVD Drive on a new PC build?

A:Windows 10 from external DVD Drive?

Yep. Probably be about the slowest way imaginable to do it, but as long as the computer can boot from it, it will work.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/43345-windows-10-external-dvd-drive.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Either writer or player.

Most hardware sites only list Win 7. Since apparently the Windows Media Player doesn't automatically play dvds, I am wondering what is available.

A:Looking for Windows 8 external dvd drive

Hi! Did u find solution? I'm looking for the same thing but for a laptop CD RW ..

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/16439-looking-windows-8-external-dvd-drive.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Can a clean install of Windows 7 (upgrade) be done to a netbook using an external CD/DVD drive? If so how, what are the procedures?
I did an install of the Windows 7 RC on one of the netbooks but I downloaded to it's HD.

A:Windows 7 from external drive?

If you can boot from the external drive, you should be able to. I also saw something about installing from an image in a USB FLASH drive, yet another option.

Create bootable Windows 7 FLASH drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-from-external-drive.872100/
Relevancy 46.87%

Whenever I go to any document in My Documents, my computer tries to access the A:/ drive first. Since there is no disk in the A:/ drive it sits there and 'grinds' looking for one and then will eventually find the document on the C:/ drive. Why is this doing this and how can I stop it? I have Windows XP with Service Pack 2 installed on a Gateway computer, 256MB Ram, 70 gig harddrive with only 10 gig used.

A:A:/ Drive accessed before C:/ Drive

Hi,

This will be due to a couple of things.

Check the boot order in BIOS

Check your anti virus program as it may well be set to scan a floppy disk on boot.

Clear the recently used documents list, as your computer is probably trying to help you by indexing recently used documents, including ones saved to a floppy disk it cannot find.

hth

Ceri

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/a-drive-accessed-before-c-drive.362523/
Relevancy 46.44%

I have Windows Vista and i have a Legal copy of Windows 98- so dont bust my chops fo downloading illegal stuff cause i dot do that. I need to know how to install that cd to and external HDD step by step including making the HDD Bootable

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/install-windows-98-to-external-hdd-drive-344741.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have 2 Lacie External Drives which work fine on one of my PC's running Windows XP. However, they will not install on my other PC also running Windows XP. This other PC also has problems with some memory sticks. Windows Update is up to date.

I am using the same cables and I have power to the drive. I am plugging into rear USB ports on my tower.

When I plug in the USB I get a message for new hardware detected. Windows goes through the process of installing new hardware and when complete I get a message telling me that the item was not installed. The drive does not appear in Windows Explorer.

If I go to Device Manager the drive appears with a yellow question mark.

Help would be much appreciated.

A:Windows will not recognize External Drive

This -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575 is the 'stock' response to your issue.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-will-not-recognize-external-drive-529022.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Recently we my wife and I purchased XP Hard and External Drive Windows a Seagate external Hard Drive to back up our digital pictures My wife then wanted to take the External Hard Drive External Hard Drive and Windows XP to work so she could move delete pictures around clean things up The problem is that when she connects it to her work computer it recognizes the drive but it will not allow her to delete move or edit the pictures in the various file folders I have done some research and some have said its a admistration rights issue security issue read write issue between Vista and XP I am not sure what operating system she is using at work she said Vista sounded familar but I have a hard time believing that a company has already adopted Vista so it could be XP Pro At home we are using XP Pro I am stumped Can anyone provide some assistance I dont recall ever experiencing this problem with any other EXternal hard drive I own Thanks in advance

A:External Hard Drive and Windows XP

It may be where she works. If they have it set so she can not do a lot with the computers, it might not work there without getting someone with admistration rights to do it for her. I know USB flash drives use a generic driver which normally works with any user, but if the hard drive requries more than this, it may not be possible for her. I would say (if possible)she contact the person in charge of the computers there about this and see if they can help. There should not be anythng wrong with the drive if it works on your computer. Also if it is Vista were she works, i am not sure if it will have a driver for it or if she as to install one, but if Vista generally still should work but there is a chance it may not.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/external-hard-drive-and-windows-xp-195061.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have an external hard drive that I wish to reformat. I have upgraded to windows 10 but cannot find the link to formatting an external drive.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1e6ab905-17ba-4adc-99d8-8590e3bff18d/formatting-external-drive-in-windows-10?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi everyone I just purchased the Samsung USB Ultra Portable External DVD Writer Model SE- for my hp laptop to play DVD's on it but after two attempts of trying to get it to work I am returning it to amazon The first time it took me an hour to try and get it to work and I downloaded two different DVD player programs The first time it played it went extremely slow but then the second program worked perfect However I just tried 8 windows external for compatible dvd drive Looking playing it again tonight with the PowerDVD program and it won't read the disc now and won't stop freezing Also my VLC player won't read it either Do I really have to pay and upgrade to Windows just to play a DVD Does anyone have any suggestions for a compatible good external DVD drive I know everyone can download movies and watch them directly on their computer now but I would Looking for windows 8 compatible external dvd drive prefer to not re-purchase any movies I already own etc just to watch them directly on my laptop Thank you

A:Looking for windows 8 compatible external dvd drive

Originally Posted by jsnyder29

... Do I really have to pay and upgrade to Windows 8.1 just to play a DVD? Does anyone have any suggestions for a compatible, good external DVD drive? I know everyone can download movies and watch them directly on their computer now but I would prefer to not re-purchase any movies I already own, etc. just to watch them directly on my laptop. Thank you.

Why would you have to pay to upgrade to 8.1? The upgrade is free.

I think you may really be asking if you need to pay to add Media Center. The answer to that is no, I have this external DVD drive LG GP60NB50 | LG USA and I am able to play DVDs from my MS Surface Pro running Win 8.1 using either Windows Media Player or VLC.

It could be that your DVD drive is defective. Does it work on a different machine?

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/48613-looking-windows-8-compatible-external-dvd-drive.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi, I have a Hp DV4 laptop, its ok but it heats up quickly and pretty high, I tried cleaning its interior and I found out the HDD heats up the most, or atleast stores the heat for long durations.

My solution was to remove the drive and connect it externally through a USB or a firewire. In my PC bios I have a feature (I never tried) to boot from the USB drive, but my laptop doesnt, isnt there a way to make this work?

Thanks...

A:Booting Windows from an external drive

Hi B44g6,

If your BIOS has no Boot from USB then the odds are the laptop doesn't support it. All boards are different and you can try booting from it but i dont think it will work,

If you find your laptop is overheating i recomment purchasing a laptop cooling pad they are not that expensive and have fans in them to keep your laptop cool.

hope this helps
James

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/booting-windows-from-an-external-drive.155789/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hey guys,

I wanna get a new windows 10 update on my laptop but it has run out of room. It has given me an option to connect and external hard drive so that's what I did. I selected a hard drive with 85 gigs of free space which is well over the required but after I have selected the hard drive, there's no button or option to continue.

Please help

http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/using-external-drive-windows-update-276757/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi,

My girlfriend has a laptop with no CD drive. I purchased an external CD drive that plugs into a laptop via USB port.

Her computer desperately needs to be reformatted and have Windows XP reinstalled.

I have the windows disc and I have my code.

Will the install be successful using the external CD drive?

Thank you!

Relevancy 46.44%

I have an HP laptop with Windows XP SP1 and its internal CD drive doesn't work. I do have an external HP CD drive for the computer. I was trying to reinstall Windows to its original factory state using the 4 discs that came with the computer. The problem is that I can't make the computer boot from the external CD drive. I tried disabling the internal CD drive and can't figure out how to make it work. What can I do?

A:Reinstalling windows using an external cd drive

you need to set your usb device primary boot....

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/reinstalling-windows-using-an-external-cd-drive-122761.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello everyone A few months ago my laptop broke and it needed repairs The HDD was replaced and i got my laptop back with one new HDD inside and one quot broke quot HDD in a bag Later the quot Repaired quot Laptop crashed again so i bought a new one and took the HDD out of windows external hard from How drive? 8 run to the old laptop I bought a HDD case with USB connection and both of the HDD's where intact The oldest HDD contained windows and the replaced contained windows Now i want to sell the Windows HDD so i want it to be clean of personal files but i want it to keep windows I thought the solution was to run the windows on the HDD so i can use the program deletation program of that windows The problem is i dont know how to run windows of a hard drive I have searched the internet but with no succes I How to run windows 8 from external hard drive? know its possible but i dont know so i ask you guys if you can help me Greetings Sebas

A:How to run windows 8 from external hard drive?

Why not just wipe the drive so it's blank, delete all the partitions on it. There is no point in trying to keep the Windows 8 install that is on it. You can't sell a preinstalled OS like that, not legally anyway. It's going to fail activation anyway when put in another PC that has different hardware in it than the one it was originally installed on.
Windows To Go will run from a USB drive but you have to have Windows 8 Enterprise to create the drive. Your normal Windows 8 install isn't meant to run like that.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/25218-how-run-windows-8-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have an external HD, it works fine for me at home, but won't show up in windows on either of the computers I tried it on at work. The drive is an Acom Data, the computer at home is Windows XP Pro SP2, computers at work are Win XP Pro SP2 and Win 2K. I am hooking the drive up through a firewire 400 connection. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Windows won't recognize external drive

Perhaps the computers at work need a specific firewire driver to work with your device.
Do you know if the firewire connections on the computers at work - work?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-wont-recognize-external-drive.437444/
Relevancy 46.44%

My Seagate external drive no longer shows up in File Explorer. I'm running Windows 10 for some time now, and it initially showed up until just recently. My local Tech Support guy says there is a known Windows 10 issue with external drives. Do you know is this is true? If yes, any way to know when the upgrade with a fix is installed?

I already went through all of the suggestions noted in this Thread awhile ago, and concluded my external drive must be toast. So I bought a new one and it works fine. So just wondering about the "known Windows 10 issue with external drives."

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/61983-external-drive-cannot-found-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 46.44%

So i have 3 external drives and none of them are showing up in explorer. They are working fine on laptop and friends desktop but when i plug into my computer there is just a green bar indicating that windows is trying to read the drive. There is not problem with the drives as i have checked on other computers. When i plug in mobile through usb port it is working so the port is fine

A:No external drive showing up in windows

Do they show up in Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) and Device Manager (devmgmt.msc)? Or right click computer and Manage (both are there).

If they are in Disk Management, do they have a drive letter assigned?
If they show in Device Manager, any warnings/errors (yellow exclamation or similar)?

Also:
- Check if they are working in Safe Mode.
- Try another user account - User Account - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/381614-no-external-drive-showing-up-windows.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have an external HDD that I've been using with my Apple laptop (OS X 10.6.8). When I plug it into my Windows 7 machine it appears under Device Manager but does not appear in My Computer and I have absolutely no idea how to access its files. Any help?

A:Using Mac external hard drive with Windows

Windows will not recognize MAC formatted drives. It can see them but can't deal with the files in HFS+ format so it ignores the drive/partition.

I install MACDRIVE on PCs to do exactly what you are trying to do. It's not free, but cheap enough.
Mediafour - MacDrive 9 Standard and Pro |

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/213823-using-mac-external-hard-drive-windows.html
Relevancy 46.44%

My wife just got a new PC running Windows 8.1 Pro and she wants to re-connect her external hard drive that has all her game files on it to the new PC.

While the new PC recognizes the drive it states that it needs to be initialized , doing so would wipe the data currently on the drive which would be unacceptable. Any ideas on how to get the new PC to recognize this drive and its data?

Thanks,
Mike

A:External hard drive and windows 8.1

Do you have an older system that you could store the data on temporarily? Then W8.1 can 'initialise' the drive and the data can be moved back on.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-and-windows-8-1.1132151/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi everyone I bought a new and faster drive RPM for my laptop and put it in an external enclosure with USB connection my laptop has USB ports as well I want to do a clean USB from drive? Windows a installing external in 8.1 HDD install of Windows Pro into this drive I'm thinking about to creating a Win bootable USB drive using Rufus software in UEFI mode and GPT partition I've been wondering can you boot from this USB drive and install Windows into the external HDD It's not that I'm lazy not to much lol but I need to perform some operations on the current HDD and I don't want to swap the HDD just for installing Windows because it takes some time to do that and I would have to swap it installing Windows 8.1 in a external HDD from USB drive? back anyway And before you ask I don't want to use a disk cloning ghosting software as I really want a fresh install as I'm facing some bizarre issues with Windows lately those ones usually only solved via formatting the partition or performing a clean install Thanks in advance

A:installing Windows 8.1 in a external HDD from USB drive?

install Windows into the external HDD?

I know you can do that with the Enterprise Edition, but I don't believe you can do that with the Pro edition.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/55227-installing-windows-8-1-external-hdd-usb-drive.html
Relevancy 46.44%

My 1.5TB USB( using the EZ-dock adapter) drive is about full, and I'm looking at a 3GB drive to replace it. My system is a Netbook with USB 2.0 as the only external drive interface so that limits my options considerably if I want to keep it to something I can throw into my suitcase easily when travelling.

Could someone verify that Windows 7 32bit will recognize it?

A:Will Windows 7 32b recognize 3GB External USB Drive?

As lond as you make it a gpt disk and not an mbr disk it won't have any problem. You are talking about a 3tb disk right..

Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/184909-will-windows-7-32b-recognize-3gb-external-usb-drive.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hey all,

I was wondering if it is possible to browse the files on a hdd taken from a laptop running XP on my Windos 7 laptop. I bought an external enclosure for it and set it up, but when I plug into windows 7, it is saying I must reformat it to use it. Basically, I just want to get the data off of the drive before reformatting, if possible. Currently, it is not even showing up under My Computer.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

MwS

A:Browse external XP drive on Windows 7?

Hello man wit stik and welcome to the forums :

Have you tried accessing these files from another computer? As far as I'm aware, there should be no problem opening files created within XP in Windows 7 - they both use the NTFS file system and should therefore be able to open in the other system

Tom

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f16/browse-external-xp-drive-on-windows-7-a-588493.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Is this possible I have a few things I d like to do using Installing using external an Windows XP drive? my external if possible Can I create a partition on my external format it and create a Windows XP bootable file system My DVD-RAM crapped out about two months ago give or take a week or two and really need to reformat and throw a different copy of XP on my Acer instead of this hacked all to hell version I have on it Apparently my laptops do not like uber-hacked OS systems I also need to update the BIOS on a Dell Latitude CPi D XT but do not have a floppy drive I ve found tutorials on how to do it from a CD and from a flash drive but Installing Windows XP using an external drive? would it be possible to create a partition on my external and do it that way I do not have a flash drive nor do I have a way to burn a BIOS disk to flash that way nbsp

A:Installing Windows XP using an external drive?

Easiest thing to do, that I can suggest, is buy an external CD drive as well as a floppy drive.. Flashing from a floppy is generally safer and recommended from most Motherboard manufacturing companies.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong: It is possible I'm sure to install windows off an image already on the computer, but you would need something to extract the image and run it to install it onto an external.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-windows-xp-using-an-external-drive.155238/
Relevancy 46.44%

For windows xp I just use F:\I386\WINNT32.EXE /SYSPART:E: /TEMPDRIVE:E: /MAKELOCALSOURCE /NOREBOOT

this works great but there is no winnt32.exe on the windows 7 disk it seems. Anyone figure out how to do it yet?

A:how do i install windows 7 to an external drive?

You can install Windows 7 from a USB device --> http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

Can't help with the "TO"

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-do-i-install-windows-7-to-an-external-drive-446956.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have a 250gb internal Ultra ATA hard drive enclosed in a 2.0 Usb external case. I installed it and did the formatting and was displayed that the formatting was not complete. I have not been able to re-format the disk or do anything else. My computer does not recognize the drive but I can locate the drive on the control panel where I can "safely remove items." I am running windows xp2 on HP computer originally 40gb SATA. The package instructions said to leave the external drive on master so I left it at that.
During formatting and initializing I was able to name my new drive as k:.
I have read several other threads with my same problem but none of them mention how to fix it when it is not recognized in disk management.

A:external hard drive on windows xp

No, I cannot access it in any way.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-on-windows-xp.60611/
Relevancy 46.44%

I was told that i could test Windows 8.1 by installing it to an external hard drive and running it through my PC. I tried using a program called Win2USB or something like that. I had created a new partition and managed to copy the files from the Windows 8.1 disk to the partition, the copy i presumed was bootable. So what would i do now? I am running Windows 7 and want to plug in the external and have it boot up Windows 8.1 as i start up my PC. Thanks.

A:Using Windows 8.1 from external hard drive

WinToUSB > WinToUSB - Install & Run Windows/WinPE on a USB drive!

Does all the work for you - you do not need to copy any files over to the USB manually...
So your usage of the program may be flawed.. You could use a 16GB USB, but a 32GB is better...

Not knowing your partition selection and setup process, it is hard to say, but with the USB plugged into the PC you would then have to bring up your BootMenu (usually F12) and select the USB as your Boot Device..
---------------------------------------
There is another program (that I use) to do the same thing WinToUSB does, But this program does it better and offers more options..

WinNTsetup > http://www.winntsetup.com/

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/63759-using-windows-8-1-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi!

Well, I am going to install/ reformat an old computer using an external drive.

The unit has password that we cant retrieve so i need to reformat it and install windows xp. But it doesnt have an internal optical drive so i need to use a new external.

Will i be able to install the windows using a new external drive? Do i have to install the external hard drive first? If yes, how can i install it if it doesnt have internal optical drive and if i cant open it because of the password?

Thanks in advance!

A:Installing Windows XP Using New External DVD Drive

You can install from an external USB source but, the computer's BIOS has to firstly, be able to boot from a USB source (maybe other boot devices would also work) and secondly, be enabled and possibly set to first in boot priority.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-windows-xp-using-new-external-dvd-drive.1006895/