Windows Support Forum

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media

Q: Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media

I believe that some files got corrupted on my HDD since windows would restart itself when it got to the loading screen I ordered boot boot media or insert Reboot and device proper select a new disc drive Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media since mine was faulty to use when repairing windows After plugging it in i booted up my computer and after setting it to boot from disc first got the message quot reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media quot I found this odd since i had the windows installation disc in the drive I checked all the connections and they are fine At one point the message quot press any key to boot from disc quot appeared and after doing so got the installation screen but out of all the possible things that could have happened experienced a power cut It wouldn t have affected any components because i have a surge protector and i m still getting the message Computer specs Asus Maximus formula II LG DVD drive Gb MHz DDR black dragon RAM Intel Q gb barracuda seagate HDD HIS IceQ Turbo Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media

you may want to look at your power supply. different optical drives consume power at different rates. If it didn't see the disk in the drive, there is a possibility that the drive was not powered up or spinning the disk at a speed fast enough to read the data. I see that you have a custom machine so its possible that with all the upgrades you now may need a beefier power supply. Thats just 1 of several possibilties. Whats the wattage on the one you have now?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media.120501/
Relevancy 140.43%

I have a Win XP desktop which had problems with the hdd. The hdd and disk drive were connected to the same IDE bus(the motherboard only has one), the disk set as slave, the hdd as master. The computer worked fine except for errors with the hdd. I purchased a new hdd, and copied all contents of the old hard disk over using acronis migrate easy. In order to do this, I had to disconnect the disk drive, and connect the new hard drive in its place. The cloning process went smoothly and when I disconnected the old hard drive, I was able to boot into the new one. Everything worked fine, but when I connected the disk drive and rebooted, I got the error message:
"reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device"
How do I fix this?

A:Solved: "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot d

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-d.840679/
Relevancy 140.12%

Hey guys,

just reformatted my PC with Windows XP x64 bit edition,

After putting in my Mobo CD and installing the necessary drivers,

I restarted and got this message:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

I looked around the internet for a bit, and most said to change the boot sequence in the BIOS to the primary drive,
it was already set to the primary drive, so I disabled the 2nd and 3rd boot choices.

But low and behold, I still got the message.
Although, a couple times, I was able to get to Windows.
Then when I restart, I get the message again.

So I'm not really sure what to do.

Thanks to anyone who would like to help.

A:Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot devic

First...system manufacturer and model?

Just guessing...but I would disconnect the hard drive and reconnect it...then see if the BIOS properly recognizes the hard drive.  If it does, then I would try to boot.

I would also enable all boot options in the BIOS...and try to boot from an option other than the hard drive, if you have a bootable XP CD, bootable USB, etc.  Save all changes made by hitting F10.

If the system can boot from an alternate option but not from the HD...it's probably a hard drive situation.

If the BIOS doesn't cannot retain the changed settings or you start getting other hardware errors...my guess would be CMOS battery needs replacement.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/566438/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-devic/
Relevancy 139.81%

Hi There I am having a problem starting my PC I have to start it in the boot menu under the RAID option If I do not do this a message saying quot Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key quot comes up and just keeps popping up regardless of what I press I would try using my boot disk but for the life of me I can t find it and as windows was already installed on this computer when we got it year ago I can t accurately recall if it came with one I am no expert on BIOS but I have read other problems similar to this one Reboot or an and selected boot press device boot device in key... a media insert select proper boot and know that if I don t have the Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device an press a key... boot disk or the OS disk I will need to know that at least So my boot sequence is as follows Boot Hard drive Boot CD DVD PM-ATAPI DV Boot USB Generic-Compa Boot Lan I am curious if the Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device an press a key... Hard Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device an press a key... drive is the issue The BIOS tells me that anything in parentheses is disabled from corresponding type menu But I truly have no idea how to change that Which brings me here If anyone can offer any help to this I would greatly appreciate it

A:Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device an press a key...

HiYou will have to give a little more information.What is the make and model of the computer?If it isn't a brand name what make and model of the motherboard.Or you can post a Speccy that will give that information.[ Go to Piriform's website, and click the big button.

Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs!With this information Someone will be able to help youThanksRoger

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/477080/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device-an-press-a-key/
Relevancy 139.81%

Usually when I see this error its the Power supply, or and bios issue. Anyone have any Ideas. I can actually boot to windows but the computer shuts down in about 20 min and give that error. I am use to seeing that when it will not start, but it starts and stays on for a bit but not long enough to save stuff. I even tried to reload it and it wouldn't let me. I am figuring its the hard drive. Any Ideas

"reboot and select proper boot device. Or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key.

A:"reboot and select proper boot device. Or insert boot media in selected boot device

First of all, no one has any idea what we are attempting to diagnose. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact mb, exact ram, exact video card, etc, etc. If this is a big box system, then post the exact brand and model# If you have a service tag# post that as well.

Note do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for all of your parts.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device.1152357/
Relevancy 139.81%

recently i woke up, went in my computer room, and saw the screen was black with the following message displayed
"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"

so i rebooted and windows started fine

couple days later same thing happened, only it won't reboot, just comes back to the same screen

the hard drive is the only thing showing bios (samsung hdd), but when i hook up as slave drive to another comp, it only shows the usb/sata adapter, not the drive, also noticed the dreaded hard drive clicking noise, i really don't want to send to a data recovery company due to cost, but my family photos are on there and i have no backups, are there any other options?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot.149083/
Relevancy 139.81%

So basically my computer has been doing this for awhile I will be running my computer and it will randomly say quot Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in a selected or media Reboot boot boot in proper device insert select and boot selected boot device quot or something similar to that It used to only do it about once every week but now it's up to almost every day I will post the OS - Windows x What was original installed OS on system Windows Is the OS an OEM version Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot came pre-installed on system or full retail version YOU purchased it from retailer pre installed Age of system hardware years Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS years CPU Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX M GB GDDR VRAM MotherBoard Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot Power Supply - brand amp wattage - not that relevant System Manufacturer Asus Exact model number if laptop check label on bottom ASUS - Notebooks- ASUS G Jw I will post the BSOD File Collection app as soon as it Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot is ready in the morning It's been waiting for auto run to complete for a half hour now and it's am

A:Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot

I finished getting the other file, but it is 6 mb, which means it's too big to upload. So I guess I can email it to you if you want it, or if you can provide me another way of attaching it I could do that too.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/reboot-and-select-a-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-640594.html
Relevancy 139.19%

Ok I have googled this error and see this is common Hopefully I have missed something simple I replaced my hard drive and installed the complete version of Windows Home Premium All worked great till the next day when I turned select boot insert or media and bo proper device reboot boot select in the PC back on I get the error message reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in select boot device If I restart and hold F and go in Bios exiting with or without changes will allow the PC to boot into windows however once I power down and restart reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in select bo I get the same error message I have tried booting with the Window disk perform repair and even reloaded the entire reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in select bo OS again Same issue I arrange the boot order found that windows recognized my hard drive etc all the things listed as possible fixes for this error Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated The new hard drive is a sata tb reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in select bo It replaced the maxtor diamond gig Very frustrated here and it doesn't help that I have limted PC knowledge beyond what I have tried

A:reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in select bo

Check all the cables.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/172519-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-insert-boot-media-select-bo.html
Relevancy 138.57%

Hi Today I went out and bought a WD JB GB hard drive I installed the hard drive and it was recognized by the bios but not by windows I went to the western digital website and downloaded the drivers in selected select device device and boot or proper Reboot media insert boot boot to get windows to recognize the drive Everything was working fine I logged out of my windows user I m the only user but I log out anyways I came back several hours later and went to go log in I was entering my correct password i made sure and it wasn t logging me in This has Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device happened a few times before and everytime it was fixed by rebooting I rebooted the computer properly and after the BIOS load where the windows XP loading bar should have come up i got instead quot reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device quot I have searched the internet for about an hour now trying different jumper combinations cable select on both HD s my master on master and slave on slave I have even removed my slave drive and Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device tried different jumper settings with my master drive I have plugged in different power supply cords set BIOS priority to hard drive first I took everything off the BIOS boot list except for the harddrive and still no go I disconnected both HD s and attempted to boot from a CD drive and got the same message Same with floppy drive I restored Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device BIOS settings to default and tried again with all of the above Nothing has worked I have ensured that power cables and IDE cables are snug in place Any other suggestions before I have to pay someone at the store to fix it for me I ve never had to pay anyone to fix my computer i ve always done it myself Im stuck this time though Anything you guys can come up with would be awesome Thanks alot Chris nbsp

A:Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device

I forgot to mention, my motherboard IS detecting Both my CD drives, both my HD's and my floppy drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device.60854/
Relevancy 138.57%

So i am getting this error every time i try to boot up my PC, i use to be able to just go into my bios menu and boot it from there to bypass this error now when i try to do that i get stuck at the "Starting Windows" screen either freezing there or looping back to my ASRock menu. I am a pretty big noob when it comes to PC so was wondering if anyone could help me please?

A:Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and

there is a good chance the harddrive has taken a dive
looks like u had plenty of "warnings"
go into bios and set "harddrive" as 1st boot device
if u get the same message....... replace harddrive
also go inside of tower and make sure all cables on the drive are tight & snug

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device-and.1140568/
Relevancy 138.57%

I just got a new power supply and video card. I unplugged my power supply and hooked up my new video card and power supply and then when I turn it on it says "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device."

Im not 100% sure I even hooked up the power supply and video card right, just sayin'.

It does the same thing even if the video card isnt hooked up.

A:Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device

Check the connections to the hard drive and make sure they are still seated properly.
Go into the bios setup and make sure the hard drive is set as first boot device.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device.970662/
Relevancy 138.57%

I haven't installed anything new on my computer but today after having my computer shipped to me via UPS I cut on my computer and where the XP load bar screen was I got:

"reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device"

Seeing this I knew I went into the BIOS setup and tried to turn the system priority to look at the HDD. Instead I only had the option of the DVD drive and the CD drive.

I have no idea how to solve this problem and don't have any of the recovery CD's!!!! I DO NOT WANT TO REFORMAT because like a bad little boy I did not backup my 4 years worth of work.

I know this problem is often user specific so PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device.662783/
Relevancy 138.57%

I have absolutely no idea what I m doing I tried to get my desktop computer set boot or boot device? insert proper select device and selected boot media Reboot in up for the school year but found myself with a Blue Screen Error every time I would turn it on I had this problem on my laptop just weeks earlier and when I turned it into the shop they informed me that it was caused by corrupted RAM So Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device? instead of wanting to Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device? pay another to get the desktop fixed I chose to take out the RAM myself Bad idea For some reason the RAM appeared to be melted or scratched away a little bit at the bottom Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device? gold part that goes into the slot So I took that RAM out Only now when I turn on the computer it gives me a screen saying quot reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device quot I go into the Boot Menu and it gives me two options both bringing me back to the same quot reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device quot message I tried taking out a RAM drive from a different desktop computer and putting it into the one I m trying to fix but then the monitor wouldn t read the computer being on I switched monitors but to no avail I switched RAMs from other computers but that doesn t work either I can t afford to take this into the shop or buy new parts for it but I really need it for school I don t even care about it running slower or files on their disappearing forever I just want my computer to run So how does a person with no skills get their computer to run nbsp

A:Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device?

I just want to be clear here (point form is sometimes good)

PC Bluescreens
Removed Ram (looks to be physically faulty, gold plate scratched off)
Turned on computer (not sure if you re-inserted the original Ram here again)
Now cannot find HardDrive boot sector
Tried Ram from another (unknown) computer (Note: Ram specs may be incorrect)
Would not POST (Power On Self Test)
Put the original Ram back in
From here, I don't know what's happening, probably not Booting again (ie your long heading)

This is what I recommend (even though I'm still a little unsure where your at!)

Remove the Ram (By the way 1 or 2 Ram Cards?)
Blow out (either compressed air in a can, or just using your breath) the Ram slots
Re-insert the Ram (you usually just need one in there to test with) Note: They click in
Unplug the cables going to your HardDrive (HardDrive end and Motherboard end)
Re-insert the HardDrive data cable (securely)
Do the same for the HardDrive Power Connector (pull it out, then push it in with a little force)
Now do the same for the CD/DVD Drive data and power cables (you can even just leave these cables fully out)

Turn on !

Did it work?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device.111276/
Relevancy 138.57%

Hi everyone,

I've been encountering a problem where upon booting I receive the following message: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device."

To provide more context, the computer that is showing this problem recently received a hardware upgrade. I figured out that my PSU was insufficient for some of my current tasks, and decided to upgrade my power supply. Since I decided to do so, I thought of upgrading the video card and the RAM (since it was a rather old computer as well).

Upon installation, I received the following message. The OS is Windows 7.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Best,
KnightessKana

Boot into the BIOS, and check your boot devices. It maybe trying to boot from a USB device, or CD.

To enter the BIOS, reboot system then press either the Delete key, or maybe the F2 you will see a message about which key to "enter setup"

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device-662612.html
Relevancy 138.57%

I've come across this error while re-installing Windows 7. I've wiped the drive and started the installation and while installing I got an error stating that there was a required driver missing. When I restarted, I received this error "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key. I've reset the CMOS and checked the cables and drives but still the same issue. Neither my DVD drive or HDD are showing up in the BIOS so I can't boot to the Windows 7 disc to get to the command prompt. I was wondering if I need to replace my HD or would that just be a waste of my time and money?

I have the HP Pavilion p6115y

8GB Ram
750 GB SATA HD
AMD Athlon x2

Any feedback will be helpful

A:Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device

Welcome to TSF

That message is indicating that it does not see the hard dive to boot to it. Odd the BIOS doesn't see the hard drive or the optical drive. I'm assuming Windows 7 ran successfully prior to the wipe and reinstall? Can I ask why you reformatted in the first place? What driver did it say was missing? Did the install halt at that point requiring a reboot or did you just reboot because of the missing driver message? Make sure you have no USB devices attached to the system as it may be trying to boot to USB device. Also you may want to change boot order in BIOS

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device-525899.html
Relevancy 138.57%

Now I know this topic has already been covered a while ago on here and I read and boot in media insert selected Reboot boot select proper or device boot device it from beginning to end and tried everything and it did not Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device fix my issues So my computer got hit by lighting through the phone line I have replaced the power supply and the motherboard and cpu which came as a unit And when I boot up it finds my HDD and both my Cd-Roms but then I get quot reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device quot I ran Knoppix and looked at the hard drive and everything is still on there So I am guessing the problem is in the Bios but I have no idea where to go from here Here is what I have going Elitegroup Goal Motherboard AMD Athlon Sempron Master Drive - Hitachi GB HDD CD Drive - Pioneer DVD-R RW CD Drive - Samsung CD-R RW SW Generic Floppy Drive quot MB Kingston DDR Ram Thanks in advance for any help nbsp

When you say you "tried everything," what did you try? Give us a clue regarding your prior efforts so we don't waste time suggesting the same old thing again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device.107920/
Relevancy 138.57%

I have upgraded the RAM of my pc last friday. I have added another 1GB of DDR400 and everything seems working fine. But this morning, when my brother just informed me. that when he tried to turn on our pc and errors come up:

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"

I have not had this PC for more than a year now since I bought this from my previous employer.

Here are the specs of my pc:

HP Compaq dx2000 MT:
-Intel Pentium 4
-256 MB RAM (currently upgraded and added 1GB RAM)
-80 GB harddisk
-CDRW combo drive

I don't have WinXP CD.
Maybe interface cables may have become loose when I installed the RAM last friday?
I'm not really sure.. I'll have to check it, once I get back home..

Since you installed new ram and had no issues before that is where I would start, run Memtest. If it shows any faults whatsoever the ram has a problem. New items can fail during initial burn in, Memtest is free and has good approval ratings here and on other boards.Look for "free down load on the left" http://www.memtest86.com/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/267045/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device/
Relevancy 138.57%

I'm doing an upgrade on a computer with a new: PSU/Mobo/RAM/CPU but I get this error upon start up. I've verified that the IDE cables are plugged in correctly and I've tried all the jumper settings on the hard drive but no devices show up in the BIOS. I've set the boot order as CD/DVD, Floppy, Hard drive. I've tried two sets of IDE cables but to no avail. Any other solutions to this problem?

A:reboot and select proper boot device, or insert boot media in selected boot device

Make certain your IDE cables are not just plugged in correctly but their also correctly placed. The side of the cable with the color strip is generally closest to the PSU plug up.
The boot order with your OS in your CD drive on boot should be CD - HD and then Floppy. Keep us up to date as to what's happening. There's a lot of folks willing to help. Jazz
I should ask what settings you've left your HDD on with the jumpers? What setting is you CD on with the jumpers?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device.804665/
Relevancy 138.57%

The problem is that it won't boot up After the intel screen loads it shows Fastrack Bios Version then quot Scanning IDE Drives quot then it turns to quot No Array is defined Press lt Ctrl-F gt to enter FastBuild tm Utility or Press lt Esc gt to continue booting quot That's no problem but I can't press F or F or anything like that Pressing CTRL F Reboot boot boot insert in proper selected device select media or and boot device... is useless because i don't have that fast build thing and when i press ESC or just wait a short while it turns to a black screen and all it shows is quot Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key quot if i press any button it just shows that again but another row and it makes a click sound Problem happened after power shortage No floppy discs or usb devices inserted at the moment There could have been a CD in Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device... there but probably not Computer is custom built don't know specs is XP built just for a vet made by intravet Remember i CAN'T PRESS F or ANYTHING LIKE THAT

A:Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device...

Guys,

I have similar problem that says: "Reboot and select proper boot device.... "
It's my small cute laptop and I have data on it that I don't want to lose.
If any help can save my data and keep use my laptop after repairing?

Or should I make a new thread for this?

THX,
Lya

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device-426307.html
Relevancy 138.57%

I cannot seem to figure out what s wrong with this computer The hard drive is a GB SATA The hard drive is clearly plugged in both proper and Boot Boot Media Reboot or device Insert Select Boot and device in selected cables plugged in Since it s a SATA doesn t Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and need a pin I took this hard drive from a working desktop and put it in a customized desktop The thing is it s a partly customized desktop just a different DVD drive hard drive and graphics card The motherboard and everything else is the same as was in this computer Anyways the hard drive is empty and was working as a slave simply to put things on it Now I m trying to put it in a different desktop and it s simply not working Both the DVD and HDD are recognized as the Primary SATA master and slave This seems correct to me Whenever the computer goes past the manufacturer s boot screen a black screen with quot Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key quot Any idea what s wrong Thanks nbsp

A:Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device-and.1011649/
Relevancy 138.57%

hello ,
so i have this 2 weeks old acer predator pc that came with windows 8 on it. I didn't like windows 8 so i took the hard disk out and put it on my other pc to format it and to install windows 7. everything worked fine windows 7 was installed . I moved it back to the acer and now i have the boot problem . i tried to set it to boot form hard drive but i still have the same problem , i tried to put my other hard drive which is working, but still the same problem. i can see in the bios that there is a hard drive ( AHCI PORT 0 : WDC then the serial number ) anyone can help ???
and sorry for my bad English .

A:Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and

you cannot install windows on one machine and then move the drive to another machine

it looks for the system it was installed on and then when it does not find it ,it stops dead

you need to install it in the machine you are going to use it on

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device-and.1089481/
Relevancy 138.57%

Hey guys, quick question for you.. Now my friend has this error: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key?" and I've been trying to help him for a while with it. He told me he took out his hard drive and RAM for some reason, then a little bit later put them back in.

And now all of a sudden hes getting this error. He has an HP e9300z computer and I guess has a gaming keyboard and mouse plugged in, which also don't work. So he can't get into his bios to check boot order. He also doesn't have access to a linux live CD or a repair disk CD. He is using windows 7 as well.

So if anyone has any ideas or had this happen to them, any info would be awesome!!

A:Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device...

He may need to connect a PS/2 keyboard to get into the BIOS Setup (assuming his PC has a pair of PS/2 ports for mouse & keyboard). Some computers don't respond to USB keyboard input for BIOS access. Mine is like that and it's a new PC - good job I kept my old PS/2 keyboard because they are difficult to find these days.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device-649410.html
Relevancy 137.95%

I just put windows 7 on my computer not to long ago and all of the sudden I get this error message when i turn on my pavilion p6142p desktop computer "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key" I have tried tightening my cords and checking them, cleaning them and everything but nothing seems to work and all the other forums say to go into the bios and change the boot order and what not but i can only get the computer screen to turn on and bring up the error 1 time out of every 400 tries and all the other times the monitor doesn't even recognize the computer but it is on. so what can i do to fix this? Oh and i don't have any sort of win 7 install disk to go with the computer it broke...

A:'Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media' error

Hi Helpme123

Click on the link below to download a legit Windows 7 disc and run the Startup repair

Windows 7 Direct Download Links

Note
To install Windows 7 from the link above you would need to have a legit Product Key . If the HP came with Windows 7 you may use the Product Key on the side of the desktop .

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/283284-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-insert-boot-media-error.html
Relevancy 137.95%

i left my computer on in the morning and i come back and see this message reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key i just installed windows 7 64 bit yesterday and built the comp a few days ago here are the specs
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKX 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
intel core i5-2500k
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
iHas 124b

A:reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected

Is your BIOS set correctly to boot to your hard disk? Do you have any media in your cd drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/212152-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-insert-boot-media-selected.html
Relevancy 137.95%

what do I do? ever since i bought this computer its been doing this so i have to turn it on and off a bunch of times. then it goes blue screen and says beginning physical dump of pshsical memory

A:please help-reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected

Post make/model of the PC.

Can you post the blue screen error message.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/please-help-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-486709.html
Relevancy 137.95%

I have a Dell Inspiron M5040 that either will give me this message or will sit with a black screen after fully booting, i have restarted it several times, it runs windows 10. Please help! this laptop is my baby.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19989381
Relevancy 137.95%

I just put together a PC from scratch and when i start my computer it says reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key I put in a copy of Windows Home to boot and it just continues to say that when i restart press a key Some Info that might help The computer does detect my cd dvd drive checked through BIOs the windows cd device and insert or reboot boot proper in media boot selected select does work tested on my laptop also it is not an upgrade disc the cd dvd rom can run this cd that came with the motherboard so i reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected know the cd dvd rom is working What I have done and tried Google made sure cd dvd is on boot first changed from SATA to IDE connection through BIOS also tried RAID and AHCI settings tried all the ports on the SATA slots with both gb and gb sata cables on the motherboard PC Western Digital SATA Hard Drive Samsung X DVD burner SATA ASUS P Z -V LX LGA Intel Z HDMI SATA Gb s USB ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS Please help as I have no idea why it won't install the Windows OS I currently do not have any other OS Thanks

A:reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected

Extract the DVD ISO using Imgburn or download another, write to flash stick using Universal USB Installer with Win7 in dropdown menu. Boot under USB, REmovable or HD's using one-time BIOS Boot Menu key with HD set to boot first in BIOS setup.

The disk are all the same: upgrade, full, retail, OEM. It is the key which determines which version will activate.

Other tips including the latest ISO are here: Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7,
same for retail.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/221516-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-insert-boot-media-selected.html
Relevancy 137.95%

Hello all, here is my problem.
I will leave my computer on, and when i come back will find it saying Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media. So the weird thing is it doesnt say it right when i start up, but rather after. It also has never done it while im in the process of doing something, only when im away. Im afraid that sometime it is going to happen and im going to have to reinstall windows - this has happened once before. Can anyone help me?

Specs:
Onboard audio driver
EVGA P55 FTW Motherboard
NVIDIA 9800 gt Video Card: fan started screwing up so I modded it and replaced the old fan with a new one. It works pretty well I think.
Corsair 4gb ram
Maxtor 500gb Hard Drive.

Tell me if you need more info.

Thanks for helping

A:Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media crash

Let's have a look at these reports (even though you didn't mention BSOD's, then reports will contain info that we can use): http://www.techsupportforum.com/f217...ns-452654.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-crash-526160.html
Relevancy 137.95%

Hello,

First timer. I just got a pc from my roommate that he wasn't using. When I turn it on, it gives me the screen saying
"reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media"
I pressed F2 to try to switch up the boot priority and the only option it shows is the DVD/CD RW drive, does this mean I don't have a hard drive? I opened up the computer but I don't really know what I should be looking for. All I noticed was two wires that weren't plugged into anything so that added to the suspicion that the computer doesn't have a HDD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gabe

A:Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media

If you have a look at the drive on the right, that's what a hard drive should look like

I am assuming that you are using a desktop and not a laptop

Did have a nice pretty circle around it showing you, but it wouldn't let me upload that one

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media.128234/
Relevancy 137.95%

Hi i m looking for some or proper Please help select insert device boot Reboot and boot media. help on my brothers behalf His girlfriend used the computer yesterday normally without doing anything weird and shut it down without any Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media. Please help problems He started Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media. Please help the computer today and the quot boot-menu quot screen stayed on for like - minutes when it usually goes away after - seconds but when that went away the screen went black and Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media. Please help this came up Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media When i was there today before i started it and looked at BIOS and looked at the boot sequence the order in the boot was st CD-ROM st Hard Drive st USB I m not that very experienced with computers but i changed st to Hard Drive because to me it sounded reasonable that the computer boot with the hard drive that has the operating system installed on it That didn t work so i changed it back Sorry for poor english Hoping for some help His system Windows Vista Home Premium -bit gb ram Intel Core Quad Q GHz tb harddrive nbsp

A:Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media. Please help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-please-help.867985/
Relevancy 137.95%

hi everyone ive had this Reboot and select proper insert device or boot media boot happen twice already on my custom built pc first time around i was able to access the bios and select Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media the correct sequence for the hdds to read properly now im running into this issue again after i had previously just did a shutdown of my system with no issues before hand my problem now is i cannot access my keyboard to get back into the bios screen to correct the same issue i once had before its almost like the usb ports cannot read my keyboard at all ive tried both rear and front ports to no avail i dont believe its a bad motherboard b c the bios screen does initiate on startup before going to the treacherous reboot and select proper boot device screen could this be related to a CMOS issue Ive tried the whole shutting system down draining residual power unplugged unnecessary usb connectors and all that before trying with no luck any help here would be greatly appreciated system MSI Z -GD Gaming LGA - I K SETUP W GEFORCE GPU

If the BIOS is losing your settings I would replace the CMOS battery. Some motherboards have to have the "Legacy USB Support" option enabled, for a USB keyboard to get BIOS access. Does that motherboard have one of the older PS2 keyboard/mouse ports on it? Resetting the BIOS to defaults should enable the USB Legacy Support option, if your BIOS has it. There should be a jumper on the motherboard for resetting the BIOS to defaults. You move it, and move it back with the power off and the power supply unplugged.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/44612-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-insert-boot-media.html
Relevancy 137.95%

I have a Windows 8 computer that is 4 months old. I just had it repaired where they had to replace the mother board and I keep having this annoying problem. I keep getting a screen that tells me I have to reboot and select proper boot device. Can anyone help me with this problem. I had to go back twice to the place I got it repaired because of this and the guy did it in five minutes but it keeps happening. Any suggestions ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media.1164485/
Relevancy 137.95%

HI Guys i recently changed my toshibba sattlite c850-b12 motherboard and i got a problem : asfollow
"Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 083)
Copyright (c) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
This product is covered by one or more of the following patents:
US5,307,459, US5,434,872, US5,732,094, US6,570,884, US^,115,776 and
US6,327,625
Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Series v1.27 (10/31/11)
PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, Check Cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE Rom.
Reboot and Select proper Boot device
my pc wont load his HHD ,...
i try my hhd in another liptop ,it works..
so i dont understanding what is the problemm.any body who have a proper solution plz answer me..
i am waiting

A:Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media

I don't know for sure, but it looks like you may be having a problem with an OEM install being run on a non-OEM system.

Since you aren't specific about where the other motherboard came from, knowing that info might help someone see what is happening.

You might be able to disable the PXE stuff in the bios, but you probably need the Realtek PCIe Controller for the SATA controller.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/56330-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-insert-boot-media.html
Relevancy 137.95%

Hi I recently removed my old hard drive and inserted a new hard drive into my PC turned it on and I received the message Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media I went into the BIOS and the hard drive was showing up I switched the boot order and still nothing The PC is years old I took out the BIOS battery and that did not work Could it be a faulty motherboard When I switched back boot or boot Reboot insert select media proper and device to the old hard drive there was no problem However I took the PC apart and put everything back together and now both hard drives are showing the message I have another PC so I am Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media able to carry on using the internet etc however when I took out the hard drive from this PC again it was not booting from the new hard drive I brought even though it was showing up in the BIOS This PC is years old This time the error message was No IDE device when I booted the PC Also when I boot this PC I have to press f each time It seems really easy to swap hard drives around however many forums are showing people with the same problem Would it worth me buying another motherboard My email address is email protected Kind regards Sam nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media.1164205/
Relevancy 137.95%

I built my first rig a few years ago and haven t had too many major issues with it until a few days ago Here are the specs -Asus P X LE ATX LGA Motherboard Intel Core i - K -SAMSUNG Series MZ- TD BW device in Boot Select Reboot proper Media Insert or Boot and quot GB SATA III Solid State Drive -Seagate Barracuda TB quot RPM Internal Hard Drive -Windows Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in Professional SP Windows was installed and running off of the Samsung SSD Here s the issue I drove it from Florida to New York last August and had no problems upon setting it up It s pretty much been fine all this time Last week I moved it to my new place It worked fine for a few days I used it the night before the issue occurred it was perfect nothing out of the ordinary The next morning I woke up and turned it on but only to be greeted with quot Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key quot I ve tried other fixes that have been posted on various other sites I disconnected all drives but the SSD windows is installed on and tried to boot Dusted off the insides Switched SATA ports Made sure the boot order in BIOS was correct so my SSD was first Still I get the same problem I haven t checked the drives to see if they ve failed which I know is the obvious first step but I don t have a Windows disk so I can t really do that Also they both show up in BIOS so I m assuming they re alright I made a system repair disc with my laptop but unfortunately it s not compatible with my version of Windows that s on the desktop I ve tried to use a boot disc program that retrieves the product key so I could make a proper Windows disc from Microsoft s ISO but had no luck retrieving it I just received an error message screen that I ve attached to the thread It suggests that I press enter and boot to Windows obviously nothing happens I m sort of at a loss I don t know what happened overnight to screw up a perfectly fine computer nbsp

A:Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in

Parts do wear out and that mb is now 4yrs old. The very first thing I would do prior to attempting any install would be to boot the system with a linux live usb/dvd. Run the gnome disk utility to see the health of your ssd. Next run some programs [included] that will see if your hardware is working ok ie surf the web, open a few spreadsheets, etc.
You can copy whatever data you want from the ssd to a flash drive, external drive, second hd, etc. This way you do not lose anything when you do an install. There are a number of linux distros to choose from however linux mint comes with the disk utility AND it is pretty easy to use.

I am wondering. You post you do not have a windows disk; how exactly did windows get installed if you do not have the disk?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in.1170001/
Relevancy 137.95%

My PC is a custom build with a 1TB HDD.

Today, I removed a hard drive from my PC, containing Windows 7 which wasn't being used at all. The HDD in my PC currently has Windows 8 installed. It booted from Windows 8, so I'm guessing it was the primary boot device.

I installed the hard drive into my other PC and it doesn't work on there because of different hardware apparently, probably because of the change from AMD to Intel. But that's beside the point..

I don't know what to do, help! :s

EDIT 2: SOLVED THANKS TO Ztruker!
EDIT: Turns out, without the old hard drive installed, it doesn't work. I can use my PC now that I put it back.. it has Ubuntu and Windows 7 only, why does my Windows 8 need this old HDD to work?!

The old hard drive probably contains the boot files and is set as the Active drive. Post a screen shot of a full screen Disk Management window please.

Boot up with the old drive in.
Open Disk Management and set the Windows 8 drive as Active.
Shutdown and remove the old drive.
Boot your Win 8 install DVD or flash drive.
Run Automatic Startup Repair up to 3 times.

That should fix it.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/20055-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-insert-boot-media.html
Relevancy 135.16%

the computer was working fine until i added new RAM. when i turned the computer on it popped up with Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected media device. i went to a website and payed 45 dollars for some techie to figure it out and he didnt even help. i removed the new memory and tried to boot the computer again but the same thing happened. anyone who can give any help will be greatly appreciated.

A:Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected media device

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-media-device.982163/
Relevancy 135.16%

I got this error the other outta the blue. I've been searching the web and various other forums and other. I don't have a cdrom drive so no boot disk or recovery disk. just a black screen and
"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected."

Great. Its an Asus Eee Pc Netbook 1005HAB 1 year old. WinXP Home Ed.
can a brotha get some help, please??????

A:Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected media device

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-media-device.966493/
Relevancy 131.44%

Hi,
I have had my computer since Christmas, It has been working fine. Then I went on this morning as normal as can be, everything was booting up and I opened steam but it said no connection. Then a blue screen appeared and said something like" search DHP watchdog violation" then the screen went black but displayed the text "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"
I have no idea what to do and I need help. I searched this on tech guy and I tried to boot it with my CD/DVD Drive off which is what I saw worked on another persons thread but to no avail. Please help, also I use windows 8.

A:"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device.."

The "DHP watchdog violation" could be caused by any number of things, typically within the OS. Which is a non-issue now since the PC won't boot.

What error do you get now when you try to boot? If it's the same or similar to "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key", then it sounds like the HDD (which is the primary boot device) cannot be found. Which typically indicates a HDD failure, but could also be just a loose/faulty data or power cable.

Enter the BIOS and verify if HDD is recognized properly, and if so, verify the boot order.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device.1103927/
Relevancy 131.44%

Hi,

I just recently had a problem with my main hard drive which had a capacity of 20gb and so i decided to take it out and leave my second hard drive ( which was 160GB) in the system. But now i have the problem where the computer asks me to "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" after 30 seconds of turning on my computer.
What do i do here?
I am completely lost.
Please help.

A:"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"

Hello Vinroy

You have removed the "Master" drive which XP booted to.
Now you will have to make the 2nd drive into the "Master"

Connect this 2nd drive using the connector which was used for the drive you removed.
Then change the jumpers on the drive to master.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device-352436.html
Relevancy 128.96%

I was backing up my hard-drive when, zapppowwww, the computer shut off..... when I turned it back on, I get only the manufacturers logo screen (pre-boot) .... eventually it goes to black with the phrase :

"Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device."

Have I lost my Hard drive at the critical moment during backup?? :-( Please help!

A:Randomly: "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or insert Boot Media in selected.."

Yes it sounds like your C drive has developed problems

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/randomly-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected.136148/
Relevancy 127.1%

I'v have just bought a Dell Inspiron N from car boot sale This laptop turns on but will not message insert boot at and boot... Error Boot device or proper Reboot up: Select get past the screen shown in the photo Hard drive has been removed all other parts are still in place The guy who sold this laptop had the hard drive removed Specs Intel Core i Processor unsure of exact speed or generation because unable to access desktop due to error GB RAM Screen HDMI USB Ethernet ports and SD card reader Questions What does this error mean Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key I want to install a TB hard drive Error message at boot up: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot... If yes which Western Digital hard drive should I go for Curently it has GB RAM installed Want to install GB RAM to optimise performance please tell me which make brand should I go for I also have a Dell recovery operating system windows home premium from another Dell Laptop Will this Dell Error message at boot up: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot... recovery opertaing system work and install Windows using the key located underneath the laptop near the battery area of the Dell Inspiron N Thanks in advance

A:Error message at boot up: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot...

The first thing you are going to need to do is to purchase and install a hdd.

Newegg has a Western Digital 1TB hdd for $69.99 plus tax and shipping. 

You will then need to install Windows Home Premium 64-bit.  You can download a ISO image of your operating system here.

You will need to burn the ISO image to a DVD to create a bootable installation disc.  

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.  

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

If you need a tutorial for installing the operating system, ask me and I'll help with that.

After you have installed the operating system you will need to download and install the drivers.  You can download these at Product Support, Dell US.  When the site opens you will need to choose your operating system (MS Windows 7 64-bit), the drivers download list will fill below.

As for RAM.  I have a personal preference for Crucial.  They have a 8GB kit (4GB x 2) for $83.99 plus tax and shipping.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/550793/error-message-at-boot-up-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot/
Relevancy 124.31%

My husband tried to put in new ram and he has done it before with out a hitch the computer is asking reboot and select
proper boot drive or insert boot media..........and were not sure where to go from this point he has taken the ram out and still nothing...thanks in advance for your help..

A:computer asking reboot and select proper boot drive or insert boot media

Quote:

Originally Posted by trish1977

My husband tried to put in new ram and he has done it before with out a hitch the computer is asking reboot and select
proper boot drive or insert boot media..........and were not sure where to go from this point he has taken the ram out and still nothing...thanks in advance for your help..

Hello trish1977,

Check all the connections and make sure that nothing was bumped loose

while adding the RAM. Also will the system boot to the BIOS if so are

see if the drives are being recognized.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-asking-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-drive-or-insert-boot-media-349760.html
Relevancy 122.76%

Till yesterday everything was fine. Today when I tried to run my computer following message appeared on my screen; 'Reboot & select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device' I completely have no idea what the problem is as it happened to me for the first time.. My HDD is working/running but somehow I think my computer its not reading it, no clue why. Maybe its SATA cable fault?
I have no idea how to check where the problem comes from?

Can someone help?

Sorry for my English. Hopefully u know what I mean..

A:Reboot & select proper boot device or insert..

Did you check the boot priority in BIOS? It should be HDD first.
Still, you can try another SATA cable just to try if it is ok,

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert.158077/
Relevancy 119.97%

Is the 64bit ISO bootable?

I have put together a PC using parts from old dead ones. The hard drive has no OS on it, so I downloaded the ISO, made a disc, set BIOS to boot from DVD, inserted disk and...

Select proper boot device or insert media and hit any key.

A:Select proper boot device or insert media and hit any key.

Old dead ones ... have you checked that the DVD drive is alive (does it register on the main page of the BIOS screen)? - i.e. connected, powered and fit to work.

Oh and did you hit any key?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/7586-select-proper-boot-device-insert-media-hit-any-key.html
Relevancy 116.87%

Here is my system Whitebox PC years old Motherboard ASUS M A PLUS Bios v Insert device and Boot Boot Media - or Issue Reboot Select Proc AMD Phenom Quad-Core Disk Drive Patriot Pyro GB just purchased Window Ultimate -bit x SATA Drives for Data I wanted to breath in some new life into this older PC purchased the SSD just to be the boot drive for Win Loaded Win on the SSD no issues Reboot and Select Boot device or Insert Boot Media - Issue Then I deleted the old Win partition on the old C drive so that I could Reboot and Select Boot device or Insert Boot Media - Issue repurpose that GB into a data partition on that SATA drive When I loaded Reboot and Select Boot device or Insert Boot Media - Issue the new Win it made the SSD drive the A drive After a reboot I started getting the Reboot and Select Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key message I have update the BIOS to v I have changed the boot order from the SSD to the DVD and back again I have unplugged all the SATA drives I have x of the Patriot Pyro SSD's so I switched them I have changed the SATA cables going to the SSD and DVD I have hit F during reboot and try to force a boot from both the DVD and the SSD I cannot get this to boot from either I would be happy to get a boot from the Win DVD and start the repair process or do the install again I have read hours of forums related to the boot error isse no one seems to have this issue that I can seem to find Any ideas on how I can get this to boot from the Win disk in the DVD drive

A:Reboot and Select Boot device or Insert Boot Media - Issue

Hi Billy.

Unplug all other HDDs and SSDs but that one on which you lately installed Windows, and then run Startup Repair for three separate times, with restarts after every single run.
Startup Repair: Run three separate times.

Does it make windows bootable? If so, now attach the other storage devices and see if it continues to boot or not.

If it even does not boot after running startup repair for three instances, better you do another clean reinstall, keeping the other devices unplugged.

If it boots on the SSD but does not boot after adding the other discs with this message "Reboot and Select Boot device or Insert Boot Media" .... then I have a question to you ..... is the new BIOS update is a UEFI one?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/331894-reboot-select-boot-device-insert-boot-media-issue.html
Relevancy 116.25%

I just changed cases for my computer and now when I start it you hear beep i have AMI BIOS It then goes to what looks like a command and device select media Reboot appropriate or insert or boot boot then the message Reboot or select appropriate boot device or insert boot media pops up I have checked all my connections and tried it every which way I have went inside and out of the BIOS and still no luck I have also tried reinstalling Windows XP but it says restart the computer and when I do it doesn t continue the installer Instead it says reboot or select appropriate boot device or insert boot Reboot or select appropriate boot device or insert boot media I also get the error of Overclocking Error I have a Pentium HyperThreading processor ASUS P S D-X ATI X XL AGP Tech-link w PSU sticks Kingston mb mhz PC RAM Samsung Spinpoint GB ATA hard drive LG DVD-RW-DL burner and a standard floppy Any suggestions are helpful i m open to everything so thanks in advance nbsp

A:Reboot or select appropriate boot device or insert boot media

bump for the hopeful fix or solution

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-or-select-appropriate-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media.534407/
Relevancy 114.39%

hi
i have a toshiba satellite c850 laptop. i installed windows 8.1 on it and after that when i restarted it i got a mesage on screen that select a proper boot device ..media failure..
kindly tell me the solution of this problem. what should i do hurry

A:Reboot and Select proper Boot Device...Media Failure

Your PC is trying to boot from LAN

Go into your bios settings and restore the Factory Defaults..

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/66945-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-media-failure.html
Relevancy 114.39%

hi
i have a toshiba satellite c850 laptop. i installed windows 8.1 on it and after that when i restarted it i got a mesage on screen that select a proper boot device ..media failure..
kindly tell me the solution of this problem. what should i do huryyyyy

A:Reboot and select proper boot device media failure

What OS was originally installed? Is the hard drive MBR type of GPT?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/66947-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-media-failure.html
Relevancy 110.67%

When left alone quot Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and device When left or alone..."Reboot proper Insert..." boot and select press When left alone..."Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert..." a key quot I have a new ish cpu that I bought last Christmas it works great and it has not crashed on me whenever I When left alone..."Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert..." am using it However when I leave it on overnight usually when it is downloading something big when I wake up in the morning I am greeted with a black screen with the words quot Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key quot When this happens I simply press the power button a few seconds to turn it off then turn it on again and it boots normally pressing When left alone..."Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert..." a key only results in the message being repeated What infuriates me is that it only ever happens when I leave it on overnight so I don't know when and how exactly it occurs but it almost always does Like I said earler it never does this when I am using it as it works fine otherwise It just won't stay on overnight when I need it to Any thoughts on how to resolve this System info Windows ultimate x full retail installed once from scratch Intel core i k Nvidia Gtx ti gb RAM Seagate gb hdd for OS Tb samsung and Tb seagate hdd for storage all internal drives no external drives attached Connected via hdmi to Pioneer receiver vsx then to quot p Panasonic Plasma Tv

A:When left alone..."Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert..."

Bump. Anyone have any ideas? Do i need to present more info?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/229561-when-left-alone-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-insert.html
Relevancy 107.26%

Hi, I've encountered this error upon restarting my computer because when I accessed it this morning the screen was frozen on my screensaver and I couldn't get out of it.

I've tried using my recovery disc to use Startup Repair but my partition seems to be missing and when i use bootsect to look at my disk volumes it is also missing in there. When I try to restore my computer using a Windows 7 install DVD it only shows my "Backup" partition. I've also tried reordering the boot order in the BIOS.

A:"Reboot and Select boot device or insert boot media"

It would appear that your hard drive is having problems. First of all, do you have a current backup of anything important on the drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media.1082459/
Relevancy 106.95%

My computer completely locked up while playing a game and I had to do a hard reboot. Now I continuously get the error:

"Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

The only thing I can manage to pull up is the CMOS Setup Utility. Looking through the menu I found the Boot sequence menu; however, the only device listed is cd/dvd and I read that hard drive should be listed.

Any ideas on a possible problem?

I am thinking that my hard drive might be shot because I am almost positive it is not due to loose cables. On the other hand I was thinking that it could possibly be due to a virus because I had found a Trojan earlier with my virus scanner.

Appreciate any feedback I can get.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-bios-not-listing-hard-drive-as-boot-device.156884/
Relevancy 105.09%

I had a problem with the HDD, and formated and installed windows on a different computer, everything works find on the other computer, but when I moved the HDD to the right computer, this message appear: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

I don't got a clue to how to solve this problem ... why won't windows load? ... Should I maybe re-set the bios?

A:Functioning HDD, receives message on boot: reboot and select proper boot device.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/functioning-hdd-receives-message-on-boot-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device.533189/
Relevancy 105.09%

Win Pro -bit SP system ASUS P X Boot device... Select Boot "Reboot and proper failure: PRO LGA Crucial SSDs began failing to boot after a system lockup while using Chrome System was current with all MS updates No response to Alt-Ctrl-Del or front panel reset switch Required a power-down Upon booting up after the preceding lockup normal BIOS initialization was followed by the message quot Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key quot and the system refused to boot into Windows Ultimately I used Paragon to restore a relatively recent disk image backup and things were essentially back to normal During a restart a few days later following AVG update the above boot failure occurred again This time image restore did not fix the problem The SSD was recognized by the BIOS and Paragon but could not be made bootable The above message appeared whenever Boot failure: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device... the system attempted to use it to boot up Previously created Windows Recovery CD turned out not to be bootable yes should've tested it after I created it and booting up with the original Windows install disc to repair the system produces a message that complains that the version on the disc is not compatible with the installation Replaced the GB OS SSD with a new unit and restored the above image Again things were essentially back to normal so at that point it looked like a bad SSD After several weeks today Windows Update failed quot Creating System Restore quot point failed to complete so I canceled gracefully and exited WU I rebooted after deleting a number of Restore Points created the day before these were RPs created by a series of Native Instrument update installs On restart the system failed to boot with the same message from above quot Reboot and Select quot Tried restoring the image again but the boot sequence went directly to Startup Repair which failed to repair the problem ultimately stating that ntoskernel exe is corrupted IIRC this can mean anything from an actually corrupted file to a missing MBR to bad media During the most recent attempt Startup Repair exited the system rebooted and I'm now getting the quot Reboot and Select quot message again UEFI boot sequence is Optical Drive quot UEFI quot Windows Boot Manager and quot P quot that last of which is actually one of my data drives and shouldn't have any boot sector etc Not sure why it's in the list as option I didn't do the original build So I'm wondering what the options are here specifically to identify what could be wrong I'd prefer to find a way to get my disk image back and ideally fix the problem permanently But if it sounds like a drive controller or mobo issue then I'll probably have to start looking at a new system The -year-old ASUS mobo would be -ish to replace and at this point that's more than I'd like to spend on a repair as opposed to a new system

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/400682-boot-failure-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 105.09%

Hi, I have a Gateway desktop running windows 7 -64. While the system was powered on with no activity, it shut down and started to re-boot. Now every time I try to start the system it gives the message 'Reboot & select proper boot device or insert boot media and select'. From this screen you can't do anything. I'm not able to start in safe-mode either. I can get F12 to work to get to boot manager.

This can be closed. I have re-posted under windows 7. Thank you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/446827/windows-7-boot-problem-reboot-select-proper-boot-device/
Relevancy 105.09%

Hi, I have a Gateway desktop running windows 7 -64. While the system was powered on with no activity, it shut down and started to re-boot. Now every time I try to start the system it gives the message 'Reboot & select proper boot device or insert boot media and select'. From this screen you can't do anything. I'm not able to start in safe-mode either. I can get F12 to work to get to boot manager. This seems simular to the post 'Laptop won't start up' posted by The Duchess. Please help. We have almost a terabyte of information and starting over is not an option.

A:windows 7 boot problem - reboot & select proper boot device

1) Check the boot order in bios and make sure the cd & hd are the first two boot devices (in whichever order you prefer)

2) Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/446916/windows-7-boot-problem-reboot-select-proper-boot-device/
Relevancy 104.47%

I have an old Dell Pentium desktop that runs Windows XP Pro that has kept chugging along for the most part until recently I did at one point re-format and re-partition the hard drive We have never installed anything hardware to the pc after market We just came back from vacation and the computer will no longer boot up - it may have been in sleep or hibernate mode when we left - I can not be sure that it was shutdown and likely not since the printer is attached to this computer but metworked for all others When I try to re-boot the computerthe Dell logo comes up and thenI receive an error Reboot and Select proper Boot deviceor Insert Boot Media in slected Boot deviceEarlier I also tried to re-boot using an Ubuntu and Select Boot error boot proper pc/ Cannot device Reboot disk without success I finally found the re-installation for this computer and when I reboot from the Windows cd I get the option for set up or repair For either selection I get an error Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer Setup cannot continue If I reboot again using F and go into Setup and this is where it ALL looks Greek to me I have tab options - Main Advanced Security Power Boot and Exit Everything looks normal to me on the Main page - except Memory Bank is Not Installed On Advanced I have all the different configurations under IDE configuration - IDE Cntroller is set to BOTHPCI IDE Bus Master is EnabledPrimary IDE Master amp Slave - both Not Detected - I suspect from Googling - herein lies Cannot boot pc/ Reboot and Select proper Boot device error my problem Secondary IDE Master LITE-ON LTR- MSecondary IDE Slave Not DetectedSo am I done-for here Any responses need to be in simple layman s English thanks

A:Cannot boot pc/ Reboot and Select proper Boot device error

How old is this PC, and can you try the hard drive in another computer to see if its detected. I have had issues like this, and the cause was a bad cable. I went ahead and replaced it with a new one, and low and behold it detected the drive and booted up.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/411817/cannot-boot-pc-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-error/
Relevancy 104.47%

Hi, I cannot boot into Windows, I keep getting 'reboot and select proper boot device...' Windows 7 was working but I connected two hard drives for backup which had previously been connected and were working.Initially, I started getting an MBR message on booting up, saying error 1. I disconnected the two hard drives so that only the SSD with windows was connected. Now I get that 'reboot and select...' The drive cannot be seen in the bios? Any ideas please?Windows is on a 256GB Crucial SSD. AHCI was enabled. The mobo is an Asus P8Z77-V LX2and it's a core i5 CPU. Thanks for reading....

A:Cannot boot into Windows, I keep getting 'reboot and select proper boot device..

You've checked the BIOS boot options to ensure that the SSD is the first boot device enabled?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/567388/cannot-boot-into-windows-i-keep-getting-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device/
Relevancy 101.99%

Hi guys, I have searched the forum and tried some of the solutions but it does not solve my problem. I had disconnected my had and reconnected it but to no avail. I can't even enter the bios setup screen, I can only enter the asrock setup utility screen. Does this mean my hdd is spoilt? Thanks for any help!

By the way in the Uefi setup utility, under the boot option priorities,it only shows my dvd drive my hdd is not shown there

A:Reboot and select proper boot device

Hello Dual form. Welcome to the forum.

Yes, that error message means that the system cannot find a boot capable device. This indicates that your hard drive is not recognized by the system as a boot device.
If you put a bootable CD in the DVD Drive then the system should recognize the DVD as a bootable device and you will not get that message.

The reasons that a HDD could not be recognized as a bootable device are:
No power to drive (check cables, test for 12v)
No data transfer (check SATA cable)
No operating system on the drive (blank drive, MBR damaged, System Partition corrupted)
But because the HDD is not recognized in BIOS/UEFI settings then it is most likely that the drive is either not connected properly or it has died electrically.

Can you test this drive in another computer?
Also: I assume that the "ASROCK setup utility" is the same as "UEFI setup utility", not 2 different setup enviroments. Correct?
If so, that is your BIOS setup. It has just been renamed for the new system.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/308294-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 101.99%

Hi I'm new here and I fear this area of computer Reboot and boot select proper device technology is something I'm too ignorant of so bear with me But our laptop of late has frequently taken to randomly Reboot and select proper boot device shutting down and then when you try to reboot it the screen has a message that includes something about reboot and selecting the proper boot device or inserting Reboot and select proper boot device a boot device By holding the power button and or selecting ctrl alt del from that screen the ctrl alt del method seems to work when the power button doesn't we have repeatedly successfully gotten the computer to reboot properly and the computer works albeit it seems to be really slow these days until the next time it randomly happens and it seems to be happening more often than it did at first Sometimes it happens when the laptop is plugged in though often it's when the laptop is unplugged or sometimes it happens immediately after we would unplug it It does seem the battery life of the laptop isn't as good as when the laptop was new Where to start with diagnosing cause and then of course method of repair Thanks

Since when do you have the laptop
Have you replaced the battery with a new one since you have the laptop?

Normally a battery is dying within a few years, 2 to 4 years (4 with extreme care).

Please read Battery Usage - Generate report.
This tutorial gives you information about how your battery is doing with its capacity.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/70486-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 101.99%

Hi, so I think my hard drive died but not positive. A week ago I was using my computer and it worked fine, after I was done I shut it down like every time for the past 3 years. The next day I powered my system up and it went to gateway screen and I noticed it was taking forever to jump into windows. Well it never did, it went to a screen saying reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. Im not getting anywhere by pressing f8 or using recovery disc. I go into BIOS and my hard drive isn't listed, I've checked and switched cables to make sure it wasnt that. I can also hear the hard drive spinning. Any advice would be appreciated.

A:Reboot and select proper boot device.

Could simply be a loose cable (data or power) to the HDD. But most likely it has failed, especially as it's not recognized by the BIOS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device.1043804/
Relevancy 101.99%

I built a new machine. It has a ECS A770M-A mother board, AMD 4400+ 2.3 GH dual core processor, 2 GB DDR2 667 RAM, ECS GeForce 6 Series 256 MB Video card, a 250 GB IDE HD and a IDE DVD drive installed. When I boot up I receive the errorr "Reboot and select proper boot device" I go into BIOS and it does not recognize either the HD or DVD drive. In the BIOS the onboard IDE controller is set to Primary, Onboard SATA is set to enabled, and the SATA config is set to IDE. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks for the reply.

Everything is attached. They are sharing a cable as my MB only has one IDE slot. HD is set to master DVD set to slave. I can not try just the HD being there is no OS on it. I have tried just the DVD with the same results. I have tried 3 cables, all returning the same error

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device.102038/
Relevancy 101.99%

Earlier today my computer froze and wouldn't do anything at all, so I had to turn it off via the power button, but ever since then it wont boot. When I turn the computer on I get the message,

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

I put in my Windows 7 install disc and went into the Startup Repair tool but the operating system isn't detected and I have no idea what to do.

I have lots of important files on the hard drive that I really need ASAP so any help is VERY much appreciated. Thank you!

A:Reboot and Select proper Boot device

Update - I decided to format an old different hard drive and then I could reinstalled Windows 7 fresh onto it. It all installed fine but when I restarted the computer I got the message again!

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

A different hard drive, new Windows install but the same message

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/307372-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 101.99%

Hello My PC was running really slowly so I thought I might have gotten some malware Trojans I was following a website on removing it and ran combofix While it was running I proper and device select Reboot boot walked away from my pc When I got back it had a black screen with Reboot and select proper boot device on it Now it will not boot into windows at all I've tried putting in my Windows CD and repairing Windows but it says Windows cannot repair the problem I believe that Combofix may have deleted some files that I need in order to boot my pc up Any ideas solutions on what I may be able to do to recover my data from the HD before I do a clean install I do have another PC but whenever I put the HD into the new PC it won't boot and I get the same error of reboot and select proper boot device even though in the bios it is set to boot from the working HD on my nd PC I Reboot and select proper boot device actually don't even see the hd that won't boot in the bios at all I've certainly just learned a valuable lesson on backing up all of my important information BEFORE I attempt to run any programs for removing malware Trojans viruses Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can give

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.
To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:
*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/559389 <<< CLICK THIS LINK
If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.
***************************************************If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new DDS log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.
Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.
We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download DDS by sUBs from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.DDS.com Download LinkDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.
Information on A/V control can be found HERE.As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/559389/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device/
Relevancy 101.99%

Help! my vista has been with me for a a year or so.. Now when I try to on it a stupid message says

" Reboot and Select proper boot device or inster boot mdia in selected boot device and press a key"?

Atm im using my crappy mac...

2 of my other comps broke down :(

Any ways to fix it without using a CD?

Regards
Nypm

A:reboot or select proper boot device?

You must enter the bios and change the boot order so that the computer looks
first to the CD/DVD and then to the hard drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/reboot-or-select-proper-boot-device-359389.html
Relevancy 101.99%

Windows works fine and no hardware problems. What is this?!
So confused right now.
BIOS is set so HD boots first.
I have no idea.
Anybody know what I'm doing wrong or what is wrong whatever it may be?:S

A:Reboot and select proper Boot Device?? Help!

Quote: Originally Posted by stuckstuck

Windows works fine and no hardware problems. What is this?!
So confused right now.
BIOS is set so HD boots first.
I have no idea.
Anybody know what I'm doing wrong or what is wrong whatever it may be?:S

Make sure you unplug any external hard drives or USB flash drives in case they are causing confusion in the boot order and try again. If no good and you have double checked connections on Hard drive insert your Windows DVD, boot from it and try a boot repair at least three times.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/299101-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-help.html
Relevancy 101.99%

Hi there. i've just had a new computer built but am using my old HDD's, Having some problems with getting it running.
1: Basicly if i run the HDD with windows installed on it, it just keeps rebooting on me. I try to boot from CD drive to reformat and reinstall windows and it doesn't work.

2:So i thought i'd try setting my other harddrive as a master and just installing windows straight from it....thats where i get "reboot and select proper boot device"

Now if anyone could shed light onto either situations i would appreciate it very much!

My setup is.
Mboard: Asrock 4coredual vsta 775 skt
processor: Intel pentiumD 2.8ghz dual core
HDD 1: Seagate U6 (xp installed)
HDD 2: Maxtor diamond max plus 9

Thanks.
Dean

A:reboot and select proper boot device

Welcome
Unplug the 2nd harddrive leaving only the windows drive in play.
Make sure the drive is plugged in on the end of the ribbon cable chain , and then going to ide1 on the mainboard.
Go into bios and make sure its listed. Check that the boot order is correct.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-147831.html
Relevancy 101.99%

Hi all,

Im Building a new PC and im having some major problems trying to install vista on it.

I cant seem to boot the Vista in the CD drive? I have selected Boot device 1 as cd drive and it picks up all drives ok in BIOS. But still will not boot from CD?

All i get is a reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press key

Anyone have a clue?

The specs are as follows

Intel Asus P5KC 775
Intel Q6600 Quad Core

Samsung Sata 2 500g HD
LG CD writer drive
Radeaon HD 3850
4 Gig Corsair memory

A:Help-Reboot Select Proper Boot Device?

Some optical drives may work well in windows (normal use) but on boot, fail.
This is because the boot record placement on the front most of the windows disc, may not be seen, due to poor optical error of the drive itself.

Or in laymans, have you tried another cd/dvd drive ?

Other errors can be the disc itself has been scratched or generally marked, causing corruption (or faulty disc) itself.

Or, have you tried cleaning the cd ?

Another concern is the computers and cd/dvd drive ata data cable being incorrectly fitted; damaged; or excessive length (non standard)

Or, please try swapping the cd/dvd data cable.

The cd/dvd drive jumper configuration: either cable select or master, may need to be adjusted.
I've found this on a few cd/dvd drives, that some work better on cs (the norm) whilst others (even new hardware) seem to work better on master.
Please check the jumper switch position on the back of your cd/dvd drive.

Only other option is non-original windows disks (ie burnt copies) as this area can be huge, on disc type and quality, i'll just ask, is it original?

Lastly, you may need to set CMOS to 1st 2nd 3rd to cd/dvd if possible. Then return it to 1st cd/dvd 2nd hdd on first restart.
Some computers are just too quick!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.98741/
Relevancy 101.99%

I just tried putting a new hard drive in and it comes up with ''reboot and select proper boot device". I try going in to bios setting (asus utility) and my original hard drive is still the first to boot but it still wont work. Even even when I try to remove the new hard drive it still comes up with this, im not replacing hard drives BTW just adding an extra.
Thanks

Your MBR might be corrupted.

Do you still have your windows installation disk? If so, put it in your computer, and boot up your desktop. It should boot from the dvd automatically, but in case it doesn't, follow this tutorial. Follow any instructions it brings up, but when you see a windows that says "Install Windows", look for a link that says "Repair My Computer", and click that instead. Follow instructions, if any, and click on "Command Prompt" once you see it in a window.

Next, what you want to do is run these two commands:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

You can now restart, and we'll hope that it can boot again.

Best of luck,

PeregrineX

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/335162-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 101.99%

I turned on my computer (no previous problems) and got this: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."
I put in my eMachines restore cd if I select "1. Restore windows XP, or 2. Boot to command prompt from cd-rom" I get the A: prompt and nothing happens.
I don't know what to do. Please help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device.657243/
Relevancy 101.99%

So last week one of the workstations gave this error after a restart The person using the PC had been using a thumb drive and went to remove it and it wouldn't eject so they shut down the computer so they could safely remove it yeah don't ask me on that When they restarted the PC they got either this error or quot OS Missing quot I don't remember which I did scan the thumb drive with BitDefender and it's clean I tried repairing from the Windows install disk and at first it said that it was the wrong disc for the OS even Proper Select Boot Device Reboot and though it was the correct disc However after I Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device put the HDD in another PC to make sure all docs had been backed up and then put it back in the problem PC it allowed me to launch the System Repair menu From here I tried the top option which was System Repair and when that didn't work I used the CMD Prompt to run bootrec fixmbr bootrec fixboot bootrec rebuildbcd exit This didn't resolve the issue either so I reinstalled the OS after fighting the whole quot OS can't be installed because this drive is a GPT format quot which is strange because it hasn't changed since I built the PC and installed the OS After spending most of yesterday updating reinstalling etc I restarted it this morning for an update and it's back saying to Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device I've tried turning the UEFI on and off checked the HDD with Crystal Disk Info unplugged everything but mouse keyboard HDD and optical drive and even pulled the CMOS battery and drained power form the PC before trying again I've also re-seated the RAM I am currently reinstalling the OS but I'm afraid it will just repeat Any suggestions Thanks FSG

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-1116842.html
Relevancy 101.99%

Heya folks Allow me to describe my scenario to you A few days ago I installed a new harddrive WD Green TB of which I already have installed Got into Windows Disk Management amp initialized the HD but in my ignorance set it as Active The next time I tried to start up my computer I got a NTLDR is missing error which I struggled with for a while trying to do startup Reboot proper Boot Select and device repairs amp bootrec operations both failed due to the OS not showing up amp Element does not exist errors Eventually I just unplugged my extra HD s started up fine amp marked my System Reserved partition as Active in DskMngmnt This was like WOOHOO I restarted my PC with the HD s installed Reboot and Select proper Boot device amp all was fine This is where the current issue begins The next morning I woke up with my speakers playing a buzzing sound The system locked up while playing music throughout the night no signal to screen keypresses did nothing I reset my PC to get the following error Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key Click to expand After a bit I realized I had to redo the process of removing all additional HD s starting up confirming the Active Partition amp restarting with my HD s installed However this has been happening over the past nights amp I m wont to find a solution Your assistance would be much appreciated System specs Windows Ultimate SP -bit If there s another relevant spec required let me know Thank you nbsp

A:Reboot and Select proper Boot device

So you may now have 2 partitions marked as active.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device.1127941/
Relevancy 101.99%

im having trouble getting out of this screen.
it says reboot and select boot device. can anyone please help??/

Welcome rich44.

Do you know much about the BIOS? Or anyone else in your house/nearby? If so, have you or someone else touched the boot order in the BIOS recently? Someone might need to take a look at it.

I'm assuming you get this message when starting up your system? Did you do anything before hand, installed some program, new hard drive, run some cleanup tool? Anything?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-595042.html
Relevancy 101.99%

Yesterday when I was working my computer restarted itself As it was restarting some message about overclocking having failed appeared I don't know much about hardware Proper and Device Select Boot Reboot but can't imagine that anything I was doing would caused it After it re-started I worked for several hours more without issue Shutdown was normal This morning it wouldn't boot The message I get is Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device key I went into the bios and looked at the boot sequence There are two drives plus the CD drive I didn't Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device know Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device which one should be first Using one drive gives a message of no operating system and the other gives the above message With the Win disc in when the System Recovery options are up there is no operating system showing When I try to use Startup Repair it says that it cannot fix the problems automatically Those error messages are Problem event name Startup Repair Offline Problem Signature Problem Signature Problem Signature unknown Problem Signature Problem Signature unknown Problem Signature Problem Signature unknown OS version Locale id Using the cmd prompt window I was able to chkdsk c f r that took a few hours Then end message was Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status When the System Recovery Options window is open it doesn't list an operating system I'm an independent contractor and of course this happens while I have a major project w a deadline Any advice is appreciated Apologies for typos I'm on mobile

A:Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device

I dug up a Hirens disc. Via it, I can do a boot into mini xp. I can access my D drive. When I attempt to open C it says it is not formatted and asks me if I want to.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/585611/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device/
Relevancy 101.99%

A few weeks ago I got a new lap top and it had everything in it you could ever want including the new SSD drive and windows operating system The only problem is that each time you turn the computer on it would not boot up windows instead it would give a message and leave the following information For Bigfoot PCIE Ethernet controller v Check cable connection PXE-MOF Exiting Intel PXE ROM Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key pressing any key would just bring you device Reboot or boot proper Select to similar Reboot or Select proper boot device types of statements I figured out that if I hit control alt delete that it would then boot up I contacted the company who sold it to me and they said it sounds like a bad hard drive and had me send it back to them to be replaced I received the replacement and I am having the same issue I did not want to Reboot or Select proper boot device go another few weeks without a computer Everything seems to be working fine except for the fact that every time I boot up I have to put in control alt delete It seems like there is a simple setting that could make this happen Any ideas If computer is off you have to do control alt delete to make it boot up If its already on and you restart it boots up normal on the restart I have an SSD drive with the operating system on it and a regular drive for data Something about the restart which is essentially what control alt delete does that makes the operating system boot up that a regular power on doesn t nbsp

Relevancy 101.99%

I have a problem with my office pc It has a pentium ghz processor mb ram gig Device And Select Boot Reboot Proper seagate barracuda hard drive running Windows XP pro ver Reboot And Select Proper Boot Device with sp When I leave the office at night I log out and leave the computer on the windows log in screen Last week when I came back in the morning the screen was black and it had the error message quot Reboot and select proper boot device or insert the boot media in selected boot device quot When I tried to warm boot it with ctrl-alt-delete the computer rebooted and went right back to that error message When I press the reset button on the case the computer reboots and loads windows fine This has happened every morning this past week It always starts up fine after using the reset button and seems to operate normally all day I only got that error message one time during the day when I returned to the computer after a minute meeting I have tried playing with the power settings standby and hibernate are both set to never I checked the bios settings and the hard drive is set to boot first then the cdrom and floppy I reseated the sata cable and the power cable on the motherboard and hard drive I downloaded seatools to run diagnostics on the hard drive and it passed all of the tests I don t know what to try next Any help is greatly appreciated

A:Reboot And Select Proper Boot Device

Are you using a screensaver? Try turning that off and see if that helps

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/152285/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device/
Relevancy 101.99%

This morning my display wouldn't turn on when I booted up my computer. I swapped the video card and now get the message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

I checked all connectors, and they seem to be good. When I go into the repair option on my Xp disc, it says it did not find any hard disk drives installed on my computer. No hardrive show up in Boot device priority in bios either.

What could be the problem? Is it the power supply?

A dead hard drive would be a better guess

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device.92142/
Relevancy 101.99%

Hey everyone this is my first time posting to a forum so please excuse me if it isn't correctly put.

The title explains my problem but here it is anyway. My computer rebooted and then started coming up with the message: 'Reboot and select proper Boot device'

Now from what I understand this means that the computer is unable to detect a boot-able OS. I am silly and haven't yet created a windows recovery disk or flash drive. I am sure this issue has been posted about before if so can someone please direct me to the thread.

However my question is, is there a way I can get a recovery utility of some kind off the net so that I can get the computer to detect the boot-able OS ?

Thanks in advance.

A:'Reboot and select proper Boot device'

Reboot and start tapping the delete key, F2 or F12 key to get into your BIOS. Once in your BIOS set the boot device the HDD that has the OS loaded on it, save and exit out and reboot.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/29338-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 101.99%

Ah damnit.
Well, I came home the other day, woke up my PC from 'sleep' mode, and my computer froze. Everything stopped responding. I though this was weird, so I powered off my computer, then started it up again. It was taking longer to start up than normal, and then I hit a black screen. I got text coming up saying "Reboot and select proper boot device...." I went into BIOS and changed my priority order so my main hard drive containing all my sys32 was first.

I figure a plug came loose in my comp. I've had it for around 2 years now, never had a problem. Months back, I had WIN7 installed and added a 2TB hard drive.
Any ideas?

(System specs at bottom left)

A:Reboot and select proper Boot Device

Have you tried changing boot priority to your other hard drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/122337-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 101.99%

So I hate joining a forum and starting off asking questions and im sorry for that, ill be sticking around...

I recently took apart my pc to clean it and put it back together and I keep getting this message "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

I ran a system check and it said my hard disk was un responsive

I was thinking I might just have to re install windows

All help is highly appreciated

Thanks in advance

You may have disconnected the boot drive, or connected it to a different port than it was on before the cleaning. Get into the bios and check that the time and date are correct, and that the boot hard drive is listed in the boot devices section of the bios

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device.185261/
Relevancy 101.99%

grandbabies may have been playing w/the computer, but when i went to restart after a windows update, computer now goes to blue screen w/the options "esc=boot menu, f-1=setup or f-10=system recovery" message with a black screen w/the message "reboot and select proper boot device"
I push the escape button to see what it would do, and it says "boot selection menu popup has been selected"... unless this was babies pushing buttons, I don't know why it's doing this popup thing instead if starting up for me

A:reboot & select proper boot device?

Either the boot file has become corrupted or the HDD has failed. If you press the esc button you can choose the Hard Drive (HDD) from the boot menu to boot from, what happens?
If this fails, you can press the F10 key to run System Recovery. This will probably delete any personal files you may have so backup first before attempting.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-641186.html
Relevancy 101.99%

Hello I have a Samsung Windows bit On Startup it loads to the Samsung logo the message I receive is reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key When I press F I can access BIOS I can press F and I get the message media test failure check cable I have tried to reset the defaults amp I receive the same message when it reboots The only option for a boot device is P TSSTcorp CDDVDW SN- BB boot to CD DVD drive or Disabled In the BIOS the OS Mode selection options are UEFI OS CSM OS or UEFI and Legacy OS Secure boot is disabled SATA Port is the same as mentioned select boot Reboot proper device and above I have reseated the hard drive but the computer will not boot to it I have tried to boot from the system recovery DVD Windows boot disk but I receive a message stating HDD is not available Reboot and select proper boot device I would appreciate any help thank you

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/619815/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device/
Relevancy 101.99%

Hello

I am new to all this and have only used macs. My husband brought home a e machine T2862 desktop computer that I am trying to get running. When I turn on the machine the following message comes up: " Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in select boot device."
DXE-E61 Media test failure check cable
Exiting intel boot agent

The machine had a dvd slot and a microdrive slot and a usb slot.

All cables look to be connected correctly. Not sure what else to do. When I hit return it keeps giving me the same error message. Can't get anything else on the screen.

Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-399686.html
Relevancy 101.99%

Okay so I have the following machine I device Boot Reboot proper Select and put together myself Asus p b deluxe board intel core duo SATA drives Windows XP I used the onboard RAID controller to set up RAID partitions a RAID and a RAID across of the SATA drives The remaining SATA drives are RAID mirrored I installed Windows XP on the RAID partition This was all working hunky dory although it did require a Reboot and Select proper Boot device floppy disk drive to install the Intel SATA RAID drivers during the windows install Now recently I tried turning on my PC and I got the following message Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key I happened to have my iPod plugged in when this happened no idea if that had a hand in it Now I try booting from windows XP disk and it does not see any of the SATA drives unless I do the install again with the Intel SATA RAID drivers with a floppy Then I tried to do a repair with the windows console did BOOTCFG and FIXBOOT on these instructions http www short-media com review php r amp p But did nothing to help me Somehow the BIOS or Windows no longer seems to see the SATA drives or something If I go into the RAID controller setup area all the drives look fine all the partitions show up and the drives read normal Any ideas on how to fix this bizarre issue I can t get the thing to boot Do I really have to reinstall windows and wipe the RAID partition nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device.60146/
Relevancy 101.99%

Hi A few weeks ago i put a case fan i had back on to help with cooling when i turned the computer back on it said the there had Reboot device... and proper boot select be major hardware changes and that i had to re activate windows so i clicked no to re activate later When i went to click on the activation icon on the task bar Reboot and select proper boot device... the icon would disappear and the activation application wouldn't run This kept happening until i had no more days to activate and windows locked me out until i activated but i couldn't because the application wouldn't run so i install ubuntu on a separate HDD so i would have something to use Now when i try to boot on to the windows HDD it get this error message quot Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device quot I have tried this guide http webcast broadcastnewsroom com le jsp id but when i get to the second set of files to copy i get and error that says that it could not find the files on the last four files i have also tried to do a repair install from the xp disc but it does not show up Is there anything else i can do to fix this or do i just have to reinstall Computer specs Asus M A- mobo AMD Phenom X black edition ghz gbs of OCZ Reaper HPC ram mhz Nvidia Geforce GTS mb Corsair w PSU gb HDD tb HDD

A:Reboot and select proper boot device...

If it can't find the files, it sounds like you have a bad XP CD or a failing CDROM.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-390184.html
Relevancy 101.99%

hi, I'm getting this error on my wife's HP Pavilion p3610y.

"reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

She said she was just surfing the net when it froze up, and got the error when she tried to restart the PC.

My first attempt at trying to Google the error said it might be a bad hard drive... but, I have the same PC, so I switched the Hard Drives and it started up fine with her Hard Drive in my PC.

So its NOT the Hard Drive right?

Also I noticed when I entered the F10 Setup screen, it didn't show a Hard Drive at all OR the DVD drive. Just said "None" in 4 spots ( 1st Drive, 2nd Drive, 3rd Drive and 4th Drive )

I'm pretty much lost at this point...

Thanks for any help!

A:Reboot and select proper boot device...

was told its a bad motherboard by the local PC shop... awwww crap...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-604982.html
Relevancy 101.99%

Hi all,28 days ago my desktop computer and I suffered injury in a car crash. I just got out of hospital and am trying to start my computer, which except for a small dent on the top of the case, seems OK.However, I can't get passed a message; Reboot and select proper Boot device, or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.Needless to say, before the accident it all worked just fine, but then again, so did I.I run Windows 7 with the latest SP and I am not very good with computers other than operating it.I trust someone can help with me in this very awkward situation.Edit: Moved topic from Introductions to the more appropriate forum. ~ AnimalMany thanks.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/508408/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device/
Relevancy 101.99%

OwHi everybody i dont know is i should to post this issues here but i need help w/ booting my system build i connected my optical drive and my hdd and when power up everything look OK until goes to the monitor I see this black screen with that message I trying several things but not success how I get off of that screen so I can go to the BIOS interface and work from there I was able to see the BIOs before I installed this two drivers l don't understand can somebody help me with this I afraid that some of the hardware are in trouble but I hope is a solution to this issues Thanks a lot to everyone and fell free to give your advice in this again Thanks.

A:How do I fix the reboot and select proper boot device.

when booting it always appear reboot and select proper boot device. after restart it boots

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/234625-how-do-i-fix-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 101.99%

I know this question has been asked before and I've read some of the other threads but I still don't know what to do.

I turned on my mums asus eee netbook yesterday and it started making crackling noises and came up with the message "reboot and select proper boot device" etc. I don't have the CD and it doesn't have a CD-ROM drive anyway. I've also read something about changing the boot order and putting the HD as first priority, but that didnt work either. Can someone please help me

Relevancy 101.99%

For some reason, when I turned on my Eee netbook Win XP, it reads,
"reboot and select proper boot device".

I tried to read previous answers and have no idea what Bios and/or IDE means.
My computer Asus read NOT to download the TSG SysInfo as advised above.

A:Reboot and select proper boot device.

go to bios then chose boot using arrow up and down to select boot. then press enter after you select boot. the select boot priority. then chose HDD by pressing arrow down to select the HDD then press enter to make it your default hdd to boot.

see below link to get in bios set up.
http://www.ehow.com/how_8372486_bios-asus-eee-pc-1201.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device.1061139/
Relevancy 101.99%

Today I proper device... Reboot boot select and was browsing on Firefox when Reboot and select proper boot device... suddenly the computer freezes I get a sudden and fast blue screen error message and then the computer restarts When it restarts I get a black screen with the message quot reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key quot I turned of the computer on the button and started it and it booted windows as normal and I resumed what I was doing later it happened again this time when I was watching TV the computer was on and it rebooted I have tried to go to the BIOS and set the boot order and it detects the hardrive normally when I turn it on but right after it crashes and tries to reboot when I go to the BIOS it doesn t show up there I have also run temperature tests with RealTemp ant it shows the temperature is C C My computer specs are Windows Vista Ultimate bits Gigs Ram ASUS P K-E WI-FI Motherboard Intel Core Duo GHz overclocked NVidia Geforce GTX Gigs harddrive I think this may be related to my harddrive and I m clueless as to what to do I don t want to lose the info I have on the harddrive and I wanted to ask you what I should do Any help is appreciated as I m a tech newbie nbsp