Windows Support Forum

Odd files in user section all files are 524.288 KB

Q: Odd files in user section all files are 524.288 KB

Not sure if this is normal but I am getting what looks like registry type residue files in my user section.. is this normal..there are about 30 of them various dates
file:///C:/Users/art/NTUSER.DAT%7B01...01.regtrans-ms

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Odd files in user section all files are 524.288 KB

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Odd files in user section all files are 524.288 KB

Not sure if this will work, but the source is one of our informative tutorials written by our own
Brink. If it does not work, just post and I will try to help.
Hidden Files and Folders - Show or Hide

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/57382-odd-files-user-section-all-files-524-288-kb.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hello my apologies if this was already discussed but I searched the forum and couldn't find anything As the title states on my laptop vista erased files in my user profile while the other user profiles my gf's and the guest profiles were basically left untouched I use an HP dv series with Vista Ultimate gb ram gb hd and ghz if that helps For starters let me tell you what happened Help!!!!!! Vista admin erased other user user relatively left files, files untouched, As of late I have been using the Power saver option so that the screen brightness is dulled so that I can use it in the dark when everyone's asleep as well as the High performance option when my gf uses it shes addicted to the sims and has pulled me in too Normally I have it on the HP recommended option A few nights ago I was using my laptop and instead of shutting down I hibernated as I usually do because my Vista erased admin user files, other user files left relatively untouched, Help!!!!!! gf is usually still logged in The next morning my gf started up the laptop and the password screen for my profile came up and Vista erased admin user files, other user files left relatively untouched, Help!!!!!! she switched users and logged into hers Then later she hibernated as well and we left to run some errands with a friend When we got back my friend wanted to use the laptop to play online chess yahoo games to be exact so I just put in my password to log into my profile so he could play without any issues if he needed to since my profile is the administrator he wouldnt need me to put in passwords if he had to download or upgrade any software When I came to check up on him I saw that my wallpaper the folders on the desktop as well as my windows sidebar settings were Vista erased admin user files, other user files left relatively untouched, Help!!!!!! all gone At first I thought he signed out and went to the guest profile but that wasn't the case Needless to say I was p ssed and decided to look at it later When I did I noticed that the Documents Pictures Downloads Videos folders were all empty so I signed out and checked the other users To my surprise my gf's as well as the guest profiles were left untouched in fact the website my gf had left up was still there the desktop remained the same and her windows side bar was ok and her Pictures Documents folders etc remained untouched same with the guest profile In addition to my pictures Documents folders etc some the the programs I downloaded were also erased the shortcuts on desktop and program files ie itunes youcam and I also had to reinstall windows media player This is constant throughout the entire laptop The only programs that remained were skype the sims and irfanview although its no on the desktop or program files but when I open a picture file or folder it shows up when I right click Also what I thought was pretty weird was that the recycle bin still had all the crap that I deleted from before so what I did was I restored a video I had downloaded to the downloads folder then did a search for the file name and found it in Downloads in the user folder equivalent in c Documents and Settings users Stephen I'm not sure if that the exact path to the folder but you get the point There I found all of my files excluding the programs erased that were mentioned previously Can someone tell me what happened because I'm confused as h ll and would love to find out the cause so that I can try to prevent it in the future Why was it that the Users folders were still ok and if this were to happen again will these folders retain the stuff that I save from now on and erase the old stuff or will it keep the new and the old or will it just not save any of the new stuff I save Thanks for your time and help and my apologies if I rambled on a bit Stephen

A:Vista erased admin user files, other user files left relatively untouched, Help!!!!!!

hello
I don't know what, how, when or why, what I do know is while your still able you need to make another admin account.
that way (not if ) but when it happens again, it may be worse & you won't be able to do anything without admin privileges...

good luck

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/265128-vista-erased-admin-user-files-other-user-files-left-relatively-untouched-help.html
Relevancy 70.95%

So here is what happens I work PDF Files each Starting - section odd an on page at a copy center that also has a builders exchange For each project that comes in there is usually a book of specifications for that project We are getting more and more files digital which is great we don t have to scan the hard copies But most of the files we get are broken down into individual sections That can mean a lot of files we need to combine The project I m looking at right now is different PDF Files - Starting each section on an odd page documents So we use the combine in acrobat option a lot Here is what I would like to be able to do For each section we PDF Files - Starting each section on an odd page combine be able to check if its on an odd page number and if not insert a blank page before it The reason for this is so that when printed double sided we don t have section starting on PDF Files - Starting each section on an odd page the back of another Now I know when we create these files through the combine command it creates a bookmark in the pdf file for each file we have started with I was thinking there might be a way to use that to check if the bookmark started on an odd page if not add a blank page before it I have done some searching for a script or option in acrobat to do this but with no luck I can do it manually but that takes a lot of time So has anyone ever came across a way to do this automatically Thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pdf-files-starting-each-section-on-an-odd-page.127444/
Relevancy 69.23%

The same virus from weeks ago is back when i had it before i got worried because it was putting an unknown user into files with permissions so i restored all the computers now again it spread thru the network now all comps have a NTUSER DAT file in the user folder and the system profiles folders that arent hidden and they update every minute on this computer I checked the firewall activity its has computers all files files made user three believe system a and that have running virus and it said that one ofd my other computers tried to access this one with the service SSDP thru UDP port this comp is a laptop so its wireless conected and the desktop in my room is all three computers have a virus that has made user files and believe its running system files wired directly from the router but the computer that this post was about has a usb linksys wireless adapter to pick up our networks wireless signal when I found the NTUSER DAT files all three computers have a virus that has made user files and believe its running system files on one computer I went to the other two to run MBAM scans and when I clicked update it reinstalled it then updated and thats when the NTUSER DAT files appeaered on the other two computers As of right now on my laptop it has passworded some processes and my pctools is saying there are registry files belonging to my antivirus but it cant repair them please help This is the DDS log for the alienware laptop after i post this I will go run the logs on the two desktops and post them to this forum post I didn t do the gamer log because all my computers have bit operating systems DDS Ver - - - NTFSAMD Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by vaughn at on - - Microsoft Windows Ultimate GMT - AV McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Enabled Updated - - EA -ABB - B EB SP Windows Defender Disabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF SP McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Enabled Updated D B - E- - - C A FW McAfee Firewall Enabled BE ED - A B- FFF- EC-B C Running Processes C Windows system wininit exeC Windows system lsm exeC Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunchC Windows system nvvsvc exeC Program Files x NVIDIA Corporation D Vision nvSCPAPISvr exeC Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSSC Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestrictedC Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestrictedC Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcsC Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceC Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceC Windows system WLANExt exeC Windows system conhost exeC Program Files NVIDIA Corporation Display nvxdsync exeC Windows system nvvsvc exeC Windows System spoolsv exeC Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetworkC Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM armsvc exeC Program Files Realtek Audio HDA AERTSr exeC Program Files Intel WiFi bin EvtEng exeC Program Files Common Files McAfee McSvcHost McSvHost exeC Windows system mfevtps exeC Program Files x Common Files PC Tools sMonitor StartManSvc exeC Program Files Common Files Intel WirelessCommon RegSrvc exeC Windows system rundll exeC Windows system rundll exeC Windows SysWOW rundll exeC Program Files x AlienRespawn sftservice EXEC Program Files Common Files McAfee SystemCore mcshield exeC Program Files Common Files McAfee SystemCore mfefire exeC Windows system wbem wmiprvse exeC Windows system wbem unsecapp exeC Windows system wbem wmiprvse exeC Windows system taskhost exeC Windows system Dwm exeC Windows Explorer EXEC Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestrictedC Program Files x AlienRespawn TOASTER EXEC Program Files x AlienRespawn COMPONENTS SCHEDULER STSERVICE EXEC Program Files x AlienRespawn Components DSUpdate DSUpd exeC Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exeC Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RtkNGUI exeC Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVBg exeC Program Files Common Files Intel WirelessCommon iFrmewrk exeC Program Files x STMicroelectronics AccelerometerP FF Protection exeC WINDOWS System igfxtray exeC Wind... Read more

A:all three computers have a virus that has made user files and believe its running system files

Attach.txt   11.66KB
  0 downloadsHeres the DDS logs for my newer desktop which also has a 64bit windows os before going on this computer I shut off network discovery on the sharing options hoping the other computers wont have access to this one..DDS (Ver_2011-08-26.01) - NTFSAMD64 Internet Explorer: 9.0.8112.16421 BrowserJavaVersion: 10.3.1Run by vaughn at 19:16:29 on 2012-04-15Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7601.1.1252.1.1033.18.6143.4933 [GMT -4:00].AV: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware *Enabled/Updated* {86355677-4064-3EA7-ABB3-1B136EB04637}SP: Windows Defender *Disabled/Updated* {D68DDC3A-831F-4fae-9E44-DA132C1ACF46}SP: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware *Enabled/Updated* {3D54B793-665E-3129-9103-206115370C8A}FW: McAfee Firewall *Enabled* {BE0ED752-0A0B-3FFF-80EC-B2269063014C}.============== Running Processes ===============.C:\Windows\system32\wininit.exeC:\Windows\system32\lsm.exeC:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k DcomLaunchC:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k RPCSSC:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k NetworkServicec:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\AMD Fusion Utility for Desktops\FusionSVC.exeC:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exeC:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestrictedC:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestrictedC:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcsC:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceC:\Windows\system32\atieclxx.exeC:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exeC:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNoNetworkC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\armsvc.exeC:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Fuel\Fuel.Service.exeC:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\RAIDXpert\bin\RAIDXpertService.exeC:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\RAIDXpert\bin\RAIDXpert.exeC:\Windows\system32\conhost.exeC:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonationC:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exeC:\Windows\system32\mfevtps.exeC:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Dell Datasafe Online\NOBuAgent.exeC:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exeC:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exeC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\PC Tools\sMonitor\StartManSvc.exeC:\Windows\SysWOW64\rundll32.exeC:\Windows\SysWOW64\PnkBstrA.exeC:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\sftservice.EXEC:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSVC.EXEC:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\mfefire.exeC:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSvcM.exeC:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestrictedC:\Windows\system32\taskhost.exeC:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exeC:\Windows\Explorer.EXEC:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\Scheduler\STService.exeC:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\TOASTER.EXEC:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\DSUpdate\DSUpd.exeC:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RAVCpl64.exeC:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exeC:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exeC:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONENOTEM.EXEC:\Program Files (x86)\Multimedia Card Reader(9106)\ShwiconXP9106.exeC:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.exeC:\Program Files\mcafee.com\ag... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/450203/all-three-computers-have-a-virus-that-has-made-user-files-and-believe-its-running-system-files/
Relevancy 68.8%

Windows Started a new account with admin privileges Deleted old account Keep all Files, Deleted Selected files Account, User lost also with admin privileges Selected the quot KEEP FILES quot option Deleted account A folder pops up in desktop with the computer's name Under that folder there was another folder with old user name and under that folder there was yet another folder also with old user name Completely empty Desktop gt COMPUTERNAME USERNAME USERNAME Empty I don't have a restore point to which to retrieve my files Deleted User Account, Selected Keep Files, lost all files The c disk says there is GBs of free space previously I had only All the library from my old user account have been wiped I also checked Recycle Bin which is empty The current account has admin privileges and is set to Deleted User Account, Selected Keep Files, lost all files show hidden files I was told that it might be under c Users I checked that with CMD and two folders were titled quot quot and quot quot they don't show under file explorer I am running Recuva right Deleted User Account, Selected Keep Files, lost all files now but from what I understand that won't be able to restore file names and fragmented files which are both critical I also had an encrypted file with a none standard extension which might be ignored by Recuva

A:Deleted User Account, Selected Keep Files, lost all files

Hello Abe, and welcome to Eight Forums.

I'm not sure what went wrong, but this is a perfect example of why you should always back up anything that you do not want to lose first to be safe.

I hope Recuva may be able to recover your files for you.

Did you have any system images or Windows backups to restore them from?

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/43005-deleted-user-account-selected-keep-files-lost-all-files.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Unwanted encoding messages on opening MSWord files Inability to open MSExcel files and picture files Apparently corrupted files I am Inability Unwanted files messages MSWord picture to files. MSExcel Apparently encoding and corrupted files. on opening files? open having problems opening doc and xls and jpg files in some but not all folders in my folder tree e g C Documents and Settings username My Documents Folder X However Folders Y and Z are apparently unaffected This has arisen only recently My system is Windows XP Home and Unwanted encoding messages on opening MSWord files. Inability to open MSExcel files and picture files. Apparently corrupted files? SP upgraded to SP MSWORD EXAMPLE - On opening a Word file whether from Word or from Windows Explorer I receive this dialog box quot File Conversion - filename doc quot quot Select the encoding that makes your document readable quot The already selected button is quot Other encoding quot and the suggested code is quot Japanese quot The preview pane shows only an array of characters all the same Unwanted encoding messages on opening MSWord files. Inability to open MSExcel files and picture files. Apparently corrupted files? On trying to select the button quot Windows Default quot the preview changes to a continuous array of lower-case xxxxxxx On returning to the quot Other encoding quot option and trying quot Auto-Select quot the selected code returns itself to quot Japanese quot with the display as already noted above On returning to the quot Other encoding quot option and trying quot Western European Windows quot the display reverts to the Windows Default style as already noted above lines of xxxxxxx I am unable to open the file MSEXCEL EXAMPLE - On opening an Excel file all I get is an immensely long string of a character in cell A Same character all the way Again I am unable to open the file PICTURE EXAMPLE - On opening a jpg file from a picture program or direct from Windows Explorer I get messages such as quot No preview available quot in Windows Picture and Fax viewer or quot Cannot open file filename jpg in Corel or just the boxed in little red X in MS Office Picture Manager Again I am unable to open the file CLUE - I recently installed a down-loaded trial copy of BackUp All and ran it I then had start-up problems with a blue screen and message about computer damage suspect hardware software etc and the machine did a Memory Dump and then rebooted successfully This happened every time I started from cold I then uninstalled BackUp All and removed all traces The blue screen problem has not recurred Could this have been connected with the problems noted above It seems possible and please note that since then it appears that any new files I save to the affected Folders can be opened correctly but still not the earlier ones They are obviously corrupted Any help will be received with thanks These files are valuable and I want them back Robin Oram

A:Unwanted encoding messages on opening MSWord files. Inability to open MSExcel files and picture files. Apparently corrupted files?

This sounds like it might be a malware infection.

Have you run any scans lately?

Did you download BackUp4All from a reputable source?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/201994/unwanted-encoding-messages-on-opening-msword-files-inability-to-open-msexcel-files-and-picture-files-apparently-corrupted-files/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi nbsp We have few laptops windows pro for sales rep and Offline file enable to sync their documents which are on SBS server nbsp I don't know why it try to sync some other users My video My music etc files and error says quot access denied quot or ldquo The Process cannot access the file because it is being used by in with denied or access and to user sync sync failed try and already files use files Offline other folder file another process Offline file sync try to sync other user files and folder and failed with access denied or files already in use rdquo nbsp we have tried many times and confirm there's no one using those files but still same error nbsp I found this article on forumbut not sure how much this valid to SBS and if it's known issue why not there's fix patch yet from Microsoft On the server I had to ADD this reg entry and set it to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE System CurrentControlSet Services MRXSmb Parameters OplocksDisabled REG DWORD or Default not disabled And then Changed this entry to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services LanmanServer Parameters EnableOplocks REG DWORD or Default enabled Regards ayaz

A:Offline file sync try to sync other user files and folder and failed with access denied or files already in use

Hi Scott
I found the problem and use following method to fix it
1) Check SBS group policy
2) Check permission on CSC folders (I delete all folder under this folder and check permission on this folder)
3) Reinitialize Cache database, there are different method but i use following
http://www.networknet.nl/apps/wp/archives/1093
And finally restart PC
Regards
 ayaz

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ab222cb3-4e4f-474b-b853-308a3e81112c/offline-file-sync-try-to-sync-other-user-files-and-folder-and-failed-with-access-denied-or-files?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 61.49%

I'm running Win About the virus - at first each a new user, the remove copy I a new to if virus the files I user? Can all create time I started the computer I saw an Internet Security fake scan and it disabled all exe Now Can I remove a virus if I create a new user, copy all the files to the new user? I see a US Courts MoneyPak screen Safe Mode won't start System restore doesn't work either because the restore points are too recent I googled how to remove the virus but most require dowloading and installing programs - which I don't want to do I would prefer to manually delete the virus files I found a couple videos that edit the registry but I can't find the infected files in my reg Which got me to thinking Using the command prompt I created a new user which creates a new clean reg No problems with the computer logged in as the new user All the programs work ok and I've copied all the files from the infected user to the new user If I now delete the infected user does that also delete the Can I remove a virus if I create a new user, copy all the files to the new user? registry for that user and the virus along with it assuming the virus is in the registry

A:Can I remove a virus if I create a new user, copy all the files to the new user?

Hello? Anyone?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/501427/can-i-remove-a-virus-if-i-create-a-new-user-copy-all-the-files-to-the-new-user/
Relevancy 61.06%

I bought a display model laptop running Vista that had a user called OfficeDepot defined. After a few weeks I decided to create a new user called Mark (with administrator privileges) and delete the OfficeDepot user.

In the user directory I noticed that there was only a OfficeDepot folder and there was not yet a Mark folder so I created one there and copied all the files from OfficeDepot to Mark. Then when I tried to delete the OfficeDepot folder, it started to delete all of the files I had just moved to the new Mark directory so I cancelled this action.

What am I doing wrong here? Do I have to change the file ownerships from OfficeDepot to Mark manually before I try to delete the OfficeDepot folder?

A:Deleting a USER from Vista and keeping their files for a new user?

Seeing as Mark now has administrative rights, why not rename OfficeDepot to Mark2, and use that account.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/deleting-a-user-from-vista-and-keeping-their-files-for-a-new-user.791254/
Relevancy 61.06%

I have two admin accounts on my Windows 8 computer, I want to transfer everything from one of the admin accounts, to the other so I can make it my primary account.

Is there anyone who can suggest the best way to do this?

Thanks.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/35751-transfer-user-account-settings-files-another-user.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I deleted the previous user account on a laptop given to me by my friend (Joanne) and changed it to a new name (Serena). This seemed to work and when when I login it is with the new username. However there seems to be contradicting info about user accounts on my pc. The first screenshot shows my current username but the second screenshot is not showing my current usernames and all files appear to have the old username. I keep trying to delete the files associated with the old account but cannot do so. Can anyone help?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/46820-deleted-user-account-but-cannot-delete-all-user-files.html
Relevancy 61.06%

According to the windows.microsoft.com website "Your user account prevents anyone who is using a standard account on your computer from seeing your files." My wife and I share our computer: I have an administrator account and she has a standard user account. Yet when she is logged in she can access my documents and read them via File Explorer, though she cannot delete them. This seems to contradict what Microsoft say or am I missing something? Grateful for any advice.

Since writing the above I have found that the same situation exists on the other computer that we share, but in this case she is able to delete the documents as well.

Sorry, everyone, I think I've solved this. I must have set particular sharing permissions and forgotten I'd done so.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/66310-standard-account-users-access-other-users-files.html
Relevancy 59.77%

From my husband's Admin account I deleted my own User Account but the account is still there with a lock files but user user Deleted undeletable are icon on it and I am unable to delete it gives me the message that the folder is open or in use by another program I changed the owner to my husband checked the box quot Replace owner on subcontainers and objects quot as suggested on this thread and I still can't delete Deleted user but user files are undeletable it History - My user profile was corrupted Deleted user but user files are undeletable got the message that Deleted user but user files are undeletable a temporary user profile was created - Rather than going the route of going into the registry as suggested here I deleted the account but kept the files was this my mistake - When I went to create a new account it appended HOME DESKTOP to the end of my name And my old account with files was still there - So I deleted the new account - And I'm at the step where I am trying to delete the old account I have a backup of the data elsewhere entirely from the hard drive But Windows won't let me - Upgraded from Vista Home Premium to Windows Home Premium bit yesterday Any suggestions

A:Deleted user but user files are undeletable

If you have it open in explorer it is open and may not be able to be deleted.

If it is in the left panel and not open try right clicking and delete.

If that doesnt work there are applications (3rd party) that will delete almost anything. The trials for these apps are usually free.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/206007-deleted-user-but-user-files-undeletable.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I entered the wrong email address and the system will not let me go any further and it will not let me update my email. Is there a way to reset the entire Cortana set up?

A:I need to change the user name on the set up section.

You should be able to sign in with a different MS account (Notebook\About Me) in addition to clearing what Cortana knows about you (Settings\Change what Cortana knows about me in the cloud). Have you tried either?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/445643-i-need-change-user-name-set-up-section.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Good morning Bleeping Computer community I have the strangest thing happening in my Recent in files Recent names Files zero have Strange Chinese and byte list. Files size. Files list on my Windows computer Files with a ZERO byte size NO create date NO Strange files in Recent Files list. Files have Chinese names and zero byte size. modify date and Strange files in Recent Files list. Files have Chinese names and zero byte size. with name in Chinese characters appear in the Recent Files list This is the third time in weeks I have noticed a batch of such files Below I will paste in the file names that appear I tried copying the names into Google Translate but that did not provide anything I understood These files do NOT exist if I browse to my desktop They are not it the Recycle Bin either I have unchecked all the HIDE options for File Explorer OS Windows Home AV Avast purchased Make Lenovo What I have done so far Scan with Avast Nothing Scan with Malware Bytes A few PUP that I removed Since those actions the most recent batch of them appeared It seems a few repeat and here are the file names g i v g i i i Am I infected Thank you

A:Strange files in Recent Files list. Files have Chinese names and zero byte size.

Welcome to BC !

Try the programs below to see if they can find what is causing this.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the
Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.
After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.
CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
Close all open programs and internet browsers.
Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
Click on Scan button.
When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.
download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
The tool will open and start scanning your system.
Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message
Download Emsisoft Emergency Kit and save it to your desktop. Double click on EmsisoftEmergencyKit.exe to extract its contents and create a shortcut on the desktop. Leave all settings as they are and click  Accept & Extract. A folder named EEK will be created in the root of the drive (usually c:\). .
After extraction an Emsisoft Emergency Kit window will open. Under "Run Directly:" click Emergency Kit Scanner.
When asked to run an online update, click Yes.
When the update is finished, click the Back to Security Status link in the left corner. On the main screen click the Scan Now button.
Select the malware scan option and click the SCAN button.
When the scan is finished click the Quarantine selected objects button. Note, this option is only available if malicious objects were detected during the scan.
Click the View Report button and in the Reports window double-click on the most recent log. Note, logs are named as follows: a2scan_<date>-<time>.txt.
Copy/paste the report contents in your next reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/597789/strange-files-in-recent-files-list-files-have-chinese-names-and-zero-byte-size/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi, 

I've recently upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10 enterprise. I have onedrive account with files synced to cloud, before upgrading i've backed up onedrive files locally in my computer. Some of those files can't be opened after upgrade, formats include
.docx and .xlsx and .png. Most of these files were in direct onedrive main/root folder rather than in subfolders. As i can see those images in subfolders can be opened but not doc and excel files.

How can i view those files again, why have they become corrupt, what could I do in future to prevent these problems

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b92b5132-04a6-4dc3-8696-0e942efdf427/one-drive-files-after-being-restored-from-backed-up-files-in-upgraded-windows-giving-error-message?forum=itproxpsp
Relevancy 58.48%

My husband and i are in a band and are trying to upload our music to a local site. It said we needed mp3 files so we tried coverting our wave file to an mp3 file ( my husband downloaded something that said it could do this) and now we have no sound. The speakers still make little crackling noises like they are still live but we get no sound.

HELP!

A:Tried to convert music files from wave files to mp3 files and no NO SOUND WHATSOEVER

Try a different program.

Are you converting from CD, or a wave file on the hard drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/tried-to-convert-music-files-from-wave-files-to-mp3-files-and-no-no-sound-whatsoever.901679/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi,

I am running IE8 on Windows 7 (Home Premium 64bit). My Temporary Internet Files folder is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5. I have enabled Show Hidden Files and Folders and removed the tick for Hide Protected Operating System files.

I've noticed that streamed .wma file appeared as .dat file in the temporary internet folder. I've tried copying it to the desktop and changed the extension to .wma but it will not play at all. I have the same problem in another laptop running Windows Vista. In Windows XP platform, I have no problem retrieving the streamed files as they are saved in the original file format (i.e. .mp3 or .wma) in the Temporary Internet Files folder.

Please advise.

Thank you & regards

A:.wma files appears as .dat files in Temporary Internet Files folder

I'm have difficulty understanding the real problem since I have always set my browsers to delete at the end of a session, I use CCleaner to delete junk (read stuff in the temp folder).

In any case, you can help us by updating your system specs.

UPDATE YOUR SEVENFORUMS SYSTEM SPECS

User CP (3rd item in the top menu bar) |
in left-hand column, under Your Profile, Edit System Spec |

Use Speccy - System Information - Free Download
and/or SIW to gather info for filling in the blanks.

Do me a favor and add the word laptop or desktop to the ?system manufacturer? block.

Use the ?Other Info? block for Optical Reader, Mouse, touchpad, wifi adapter, speakers, monitor

Scroll down and click on the SAVE CHANGES button.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/173856-wma-files-appears-dat-files-temporary-internet-files-folder.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I had been hacked, secured my router and all. I can go to control panel and users, and it shows only one user, Me. Guest user is turned off. However, in my reg file there is like 6 different users...How do I determine which is my user file and delete the rest of them?

A:User Files

Hiya and welcome to Tech Support Guy

Lets see what malware is installed etc...
Download Security Check from here.
Save it to your Desktop.
Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediatly.

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition for Home Users
Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
Click the Scanning Control tab.
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.

Click the "Home" button to leave the control center screen.
On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
Click Scan your computer.
On the left, select all fixed drives.
Click "Start Complete Scan" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "Continue".
Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "Remove Threats" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click View Scan Logs.
[*]Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
[*]If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
[*]Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
[*]Click Close to exit the program.
Please include the MBAM log, SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log and checkup.txt in your next reply

eddie

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-files.1059423/
Relevancy 56.76%

Guys, this one is for a veteran friend over at the Vets home, here in Grand Rapids, Mi.
Ken has a laptop running windows 8.1

he has 4 user accounts set up on it and wants to add a 5th one.
That 5th one is for Tom. This user file was on another 8.1 laptop that died. Ken managed to get the user file transfered over to one of those static drives. He copied all the user data from the static drive to the new laptop, but toms name will not show up in the user log in list at the begging when 8.1 boots up.

Question. how can Ken make tom's name appear in that list, and for the computer to use the files in the User files for Tom?

or is there a way he can plug in the static drive, (as an exteranal) and have the 8.1 use that user file info?

Thanks.

A:User files, help!

has tom ever logged onto that machine?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-files-help.1154145/
Relevancy 56.76%

I have Win 7 installed on an SSD with all other files on separate disks. (User files, etc) Can I also install, to dual boot, Win 8 and point everything to the same user files on the same separate disks?

A:Win 7 and 8 with same user files?

Although I don't dual boot (yet), I have Win 7 on one drive, Win 8 on another and my data files on a WD MyBook. I do have all my programs installed on each of the drives. MS Office 2010 is on both drives as are all the browsers I use. PaperPort, CD Labeller, graphics programs, etc.

No matter which OS drive I'm using, I can get to whichever data file I need on MyBook.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/19875-win-7-8-same-user-files.html
Relevancy 56.76%

i have added password and (i dont know it's name in english,other users cannot see your files),now i want to stop this,i deleted the password but the other thing didn't disappear,how to stop it?

A:help with user files

Are you referring to Encryption by any chance? Files will usually show in a green color if encrypted.

To Remove encryption, right click the folder containing the files, click Properties.
On the General tab click the Advanced button.
Uncheck Encrypt contents to secure data
Click OK, then click Apply
You should get a Confirm Attribute Changes dialog.
Choose Apply changes to this folder, subfolder and files
click OK, then click Apply
When it's finished, click OK.

If it's not Encryption, only other thing that comes to mind is you change the File Permissions on the Security tab for the files or the folder that contains them.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-with-user-files-398396.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hey guys Files User MIA I'm relatively new to windows on my home PC and still use vista on my laptop After a random restart of the home PC with windows installed on it all the user files have vanished My Pics folder My Music folder etc are all now empty I User Files MIA open iTunes and everything plays but all txt mp wmv etc are all gone from the folders in explorer Although the properties of the folders show high data usage and the full user rights for the files are on everything inside is blank I have tried countless system User Files MIA restore points but nothing helps I have low to mid level experience with this OS so I am really stuck Has anyone encountered this or have any ideas of how to fix it I would be happy being able to just back up the family movies music and pictures and do User Files MIA a fresh install if a repair is impossible Any help is GREATLY appreciated Thanks

Relevancy 56.76%

Dear Bleeping

6 months ago i had to reinstall Windows.  I couldn't reformat C: before doing that.

I still have an old folder C:\Documents and Settings\John last accessed in September 2013, created in 2008 which I cannot access as administrator. It clearly has quite a lot of content and appears to be taking up several gigabytes of space. (SAV takes several minutes to scan its contents.) My new user name is JZ.

(Why can SAV scan it but I can't see it even when viewing of hidden and system files is enabled?)

There's other old stuff there as well in C:\Program Files but I don't think the space issue is as important for them.

By the way, do you approve of the advice that the contents of C:\i386 can be moved to another drive? See for example http://ask-leo.com/can_i_move_or_delete_my_i386_directory_to_free_up_some_space.html

Many thanks

John

A:Old user files

I wonder if you can just use "Send To" and dump it onto a flash drive.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/529100/old-user-files/
Relevancy 56.76%

In [Computer>C:>Users] there's a file for an old Windows user name that we no longer use that's taking up over 1/2 gig. I have deleted this name already through User Accounts in the Control Panel, but the file still remains on the hard-drive. Windows doesn't allow me to delete it for some reason - Suggestions? Thanks.

A:Old User Files

Try doing this Take Ownership of file

http://www.vistax64.com/software/237596-old-user-files.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi I have a laptop running vista on it and when I install certain programs and look in their properties by right clicking the icon on the desktop and then look at security the group or user names show up with users/groups i havent created. Like for instance it shows 2 users i set up but then theirs SYSTEM and INTERACTIVE and a extra user group with my name. So when I re-installed Malwarebytes thinking this was a virus I noticed all these users in the properties ? This doesnt seem normal to me but any virus scan i've run comes up clean. Also I saved the mbam but it changed it to a .ink is this normal ?

A:Interactive user and Ink files

That is default for any program on windows now adays. SYSTEM is created when you installed Windows it is a default user and group the interactive is new in Vista. the .lnk at the end refers to shortcut again thats normal.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/297562/interactive-user-and-ink-files/
Relevancy 55.9%

Folks I'm creating a new machine I want to install W on the SSD I want my User Files on a hard-drive My goal is to keep the Gb SSD quot clean quot so that any future OS issues can be addressed by loading or reinstalling on that SSD Also I don't want to accidentally fill my OS on install; do do SSD, HD. this? user files New on W7 I How SSD with pictures and game saves etc My HDD TB will be for my user profile I only use the one quot User quot It's a home computer I want all my data to end up on the HDD I'd -like- to be able to place a favored game or two on the SSD for fast loading But that's for later Now I've read Kari's excellent tutorial here An Old School Geek s approach to Installing amp Setting Up a Windows PC But that seems more focused on a single drive New W7 install; OS on SSD, user files on HD. How do I do this? install I'd hate to have the SSD and the HDD in the box when I first install W Yes I've had the MBR install on the wrong drive in the past different build So how do I keep all the OS system files on the SSD with no accidental loading onto the HDD How do I put all the user files on the HDD during the install so that my SSD doesn't get filled with data during use Thank you -so- much Ken And all this is because I don't want to try an upgrade from Vista Ultimate It's easier IMHO to start from scratch

A:New W7 install; OS on SSD, user files on HD. How do I do this?

This well show you the light. Set the BIOS to show the ssd as the primary drive and install Windows. Then follow the tutorial to move the "user" folder. This fold can become very large after a period of time, 10Gb or more.

Set your spinner as the "D:\" drive and and make two folders "Program Filles" and "Program Files(x86)" When you install new programs you just redirect them to the "D" drive, you can normally just change the drive letter in the default install directory listed by the installer program.

This is how I set my boxes up. You really don't need a big ssd. I recently moved my pagefiles back to the ssd for a minor speed increase. I had so much unused ssd space I figured I should use it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/306031-new-w7-install-os-ssd-user-files-hd-how-do-i-do.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi Guy's, newbie here...
I'm about to do a full restore on my Dell 6520.
I went to copy my user files to my attached WD HD before I ran the system restore and it told me I was backing up 56 gigs!
I went into the file and looked at it and the biggest file was my Picture file that holds my Lightroom catalogue and it's only 6 Gigs.
Any idea what I'm missing just selectively sliding over files to my HD before I restore?
Thanks in advance....
Mark

A:User Files pre-restore

Welcome to Seven Forums RetSurfer. Did you use Win 7's built-in backup utility or making simple copies? You should only need to make backup copied of your personal data, eg, Documents, Music, Video, Pictures, and anything you have on your desktop.
If you used the backup feature what happens is Windows makes an image of your hard drive which includes your data and programs, profiles, and settings.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/169205-user-files-pre-restore.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I see in windows 7 that i can move the temp file, and i can move my documtents...

is there a way in one giant step that i can tell windows to put data on the d drive instead of the c drive

A:Best way to MOVE user files

Hello,

You could use the tutorial below to move the entire user profile folder to a different locatoin, but it would be best to do OPTION TWO and create a new user account.

User Profile - Change Default Location

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/162185-best-way-move-user-files.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a user folder on XP Pro that was my user folder before my computer totally crashed and I had to re-install XP. Now I can't delete for 2 reasons:

1. there is a folder that I had hidden so when I try to delete it it says I don't have access, and

2. it can't delete imgres[1] because it can't find the file.

Is there any way for me to clear this folder out?

Relevancy 55.9%

I have searched Google for 10 hrs trying to find the right answer.
I did a system recovery and my data is fine. I want to know how to use
the files from my old user account. I am able to access it. A new profile
was created to log onto when I did the recovery. It is the only profile in
User Accounts, but I have the old user accounts still there. Would I want
to use the files ?
I also have a backup that was made on my pc. How do I restore the files
from it ? The backup was created during sytem restore not with backup
software. I can't use the backup utility on my pc as it did not create the backup
files. I may not have explained this correctly.
I use Win XP Home

Thank you

A:Using old user account files

Guess no one knows the answer...Thanks anyway

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-old-user-account-files.668931/
Relevancy 55.9%

i am running windows xp home (sp3) with an intel dual core proccessor 2.66ghz and 1gb ram with a nvidia geforce 7300 Le. i am wondering how to switch all my data from one user account to another. is there a program for this???. i am asking this because my friend gave me his computer but it still shows his name up in my documents which is REALLY annoying. i have changed the owner and company but i need to know how to change the actual documents folder. i dont think you can so im have made another account with my name on it but i want to know how to transfer all the files from my friends account to my new account.

please reply soon. thank you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-do-i-transfer-files-from-one-user-to-another-450331.html
Relevancy 55.9%

1st post at Tech Support

Have Vista Home Premium which I installed on a freshly formatted drive.

The problem is I have c:\user\ & c:\documents and settings and each folder contains duplicated files. Within both folders are two sub folders, \documents & \my documents and once again all files are duplicated in both subfolders.

So ultimately I have files duplicated 4 times if they happen to be in one of document folders.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

A:Duplicate User files

Should have tried this resolution first. I just deleted the duplicate files including the folders c:\documents and settings.

Somewhere down the line, something must have created these duplicates.

Hopefully the problem is solved.

Rob

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/duplicate-user-files.604484/
Relevancy 55.9%

I currently have a gb SSD with my OS on it but just moved the user files locations to my moved files User E drive and all I am planning on upgrading to a GB ssd and will reinstall re-image it over I have never used any imaging software so what would be best free or if i did a fresh install on the new one and did my origional User files moved way of moving the user folders by changing the registry entries to point to E instead of C would i need to use a new user name or if i put the same would it try to override my current User files moved user folder I would take it a cloning would be best as it would just need to clone about - GB to move to the new gb drive but again I have never used it before so don t know much about that kind of software Any advise links to some that you have used recommend

A:User files moved

Cloning or imaging has nothing to do with moving the files, so I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but I'll try to answer what I can.

First, if you mean you moved the Documents folder, there's nothing to change in the registry - it knows you moved it. If you're talking about other files or folders, please explain what it is you moved and what needs to be directed to it. As for imaging or cloning, here's something I put together a while ago that may (I hope) help:

Disk Imaging software takes a "snapshot" of your drive as it exists at the time you create the image. You can then restore the entire image or any file(s) or folder(s) you choose. It is a virtually foolproof way of backing up your system and providing a safe haven in the event of a catastrophe that requires you to blow away your system partition and restore it to a previous state. It also allows you to "test" various software and be confident that you have a the ability to return to the prior state any time you choose.
I use Acronis True Image. It is the best of breed, but it isn't free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect.

1) I create an image of my system partition once a week to a second hard drive and keep the 2 or 3 most recent images. I also image my other partitions about once a month. I always enable "verify image" in the options. It takes a little longer, but insures a valid image.
2) I also create an image before performing any drive level function (ie, changing the size of a partition) or making any significant change to the OS (installing a service pack, upgrading IE, etc). Also sometimes before installing new software.
3) Images may be created on any medium (cd, dvd, external drive, etc). For obvious reasons they should not be stored on the same drive you are imaging. The best option is a second internal hd if you have one.
4) Images may be created "in the background" within the OS. If you need to restore the system partition, that will need to be done before the OS loads. You can start the process within the application in the OS and it will then tell you it needs to reboot to finish the process. Alternatively, you can boot to a "recovery disk" which you can create when you first install the software (or to the application disk itself if you have one). Other partitions can be restored without a reboot.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/429349/user-files-moved/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi All,

Wondered if you could help me. I decided to set up another account on my PC, I then copied my Documents files over the new account before deleting the old account, now I can't play the music I have. Does anybody have any idea what I can do?
The old account is still showing up in my computer / documents and settings.

By the way they are both admin accounts.

Many Thanks
Gary

A:Copied files from another user but can't use them?

Hello Gary,

Are you getting an error message?

Have you tried taking ownership of the files?

Take ownership of the folder by right clicking it and selecting Properties. Select the Security Tab and click the Advanced button. You'll see an Owner tab so add your User Name to the list

You may need to go to My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/View tab and uncheck "Use simple file sharing" or you won't have a Security tab otherwise.

XP Home
Go to Safe Mode to find the Security Tab

You need to be using an Admin Account to do it.

To apply to subfolders check the box "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" before you click ?Apply?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/copied-files-from-another-user-but-cant-use-them-334533.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello,
I am having a problem with my user account on Windows. No .exe files, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer or Explorer will run. I have no problems when using my family's accounts. Every time I click on a program in my user account, an "Open With" box appears, with the "always use this program when using this type of file" option grayed out.

Recently, I did some cleaning of spyware (Antivirus 2010) on my computer. I also installed Avast Antivirus. I have tried downloading an exe repair, but this did not work. I have also tried loading Windows in the last known good configuration and correcting the registry data for HKEY_CLASS_ROOTS. I am at my wits' end. Help!

A:.exe files won't run on my user account

I'm having the exact same problem. Can someone please help.

Thanks.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/exe-files-wont-run-on-my-user-account-469498.html
Relevancy 55.9%

i had xp installed and it crashed. only way to fix was to re-install. I did not format though becouse i needed information but now i cant access or delet that information because the accounts were passworded. How can i access the files?

A:deleting user files

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/deleting-user-files.508748/
Relevancy 55.9%

When i formatted it i chose the name "Haunted" now i need to change it to something else. I renamed my C:\ easy enough but im not sure on how or if i can change the USER File name.

Thanks ^_^

A:Renaming The User Files

Welcome
See answer by Kari.
created a new user but docs still saved in old user

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/161912-renaming-user-files.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I am just one user on my laptop, I want my docs videos pics etc moved from my SSD to the HDD...

I read the tutorial for setting it up so all future users accts will be there. It is way too complicated for a novice such as myself. Is there not an easy way to make this happen on a single account?

Thanks.

A:Move user files from SSD to HDD...

You can move the files with copy/paste. That should be the easiest.

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/39308-move-user-files-ssd-hdd.html
Relevancy 55.9%

So during setup of my laptop I created a few different accounts and then deleted some, so I now only have the one account left. Below is a picture of the folders I mean. The "joey_000" is the actual one for my account, the other 2 have nothing in them.

I made the other 2 accounts trying to change the name of the folder from "joey_000" to just my name, but it couldnt be done so I just left it. The other two folders are there and when I try to delete them, that error message comes up. I just want to be rid of them because the accounts to which they are linked have been deleted and they serve no purpose and are annoying. If anybody could help that would be appreciated

A:Deleting an old user's files?

You could try taking ownership of them.

See tutorial:

Take Ownership - Add to Context Menu in Windows 8

Or check online for settings that might enable deletion:

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/26085-deleting-old-users-files.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello I have a very basic question regarding copying files from one computer to another I have a friend who just purchased a new computer with Vista on it He Copying PC User PC Files to From wants to transfer all of Copying User Files From PC to PC his user files from his old computer which is running Windows ME to Copying User Files From PC to PC his new computer He was told that in order to do this he needed to go buy a quot transfer cable quot I haven't used one of these quot transfer cables quot before Are they just data cables with USB connectors on both ends Because I already have one of those I also have a cable with a USB connector on one end and a firewire connector on the other end I got both of these cables at the dollar store a while back They were both brand new in their original packaging Can one of these be used in place of the expensive quot transfer cable quot that they are being told they need to go buy And in either case how does this quot transfer quot take place anyway Suppose I hook the computers with VERY different operating systems on them by the way together via a USB to USB cable Then what Does each computer then suddenly show up in the directory listing of the other computer If so that would be easy enough Can someone please help me with this I don't want to go over there tomorrow and look like an idiot Thanks in advance

A:Copying User Files From PC to PC

The "transfer cable" they are talking about is simply a crossover cable ($2.49US + shipping). I'm not sure if the USB cable would work, nor am I sure whether or not the usb->firewire would work, but it would be worth a shot. (More links to crossover cables, they can be found in just about any electronics store)

As to how/whether or not it would work, depends on how "VERY different" the operating systems are. If you are trying to go Windows -> Linux it would be a little more complicated, but as long as you are going Windows -> Windows it won't matter which versions you are using.

Once you get the cable connected you would probably have to set the connection up, or maybe just map a drive to the second computer's IP address. I've never done a direct connection like that, I've always used a switch or router.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/copying-user-files-from-pc-to-pc-201205.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello,

Im not sure what happened here, but I created a new user on my pc. And when it got to their desktop there was a bunch of files there that were on my desktop. I deleted those and just left chrome (thats all this person needed). Anyway, when they were done, I logged back into my account and noticed a bunch of missing files from my desktop. So, why did this do that? how do I get those files back?

tia!

A:Deleted files from new user = deleted files on old user

If you don't want to run a Restore Point you can use Shadow Explorer free program to extract individual files from restore points(provided there are some.) My guess is that the files on your desktop somehow got put on All Users desktop. Or it could be a Windows glitch that moved them there.

I'd try Shadow Explorer. The UI is a lot like an undelete program:
ShadowExplorer.com - About

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/313888-deleted-files-new-user-deleted-files-old-user.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi

I recently upgraded my computer's CPU/Motherboard/RAM etc however, after plugging in my old hard drives, Windows failed to load. In an effort to save my old files I reinstalled windows XP on my secondary hard drive, hoping to access my original hard drive's files through the reinstalled version of windows. Everything went according to plan except when trying to access the old 'My Documents' folder, and the computer says 'Access denied,' probably because that folder was declared private on my old network and because the user account was password protected. Please help me retrieve my old files!

Ta

Beau

Relevancy 55.9%

this morning i signed onto my user name on my computer and a message saying something like "windows could not load this users settings" came up. when everything loaded up everything was changed, the whole desktop was back to default and all my music, pictures, and everything were gone. i did a search for some of my pictures and they are still on the system jsut not in my user account. last night i did the "free up space on your hard disk" thing and i dont know if that could have had something to do with it. is there anyway i can retsore my computer to the way it was yesterday? or get all my files back to my user name? sorry i dont really know to much about computers.

A:user account files gone

Hi and Welcome to TSF

Try System Restore

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...emrestore.mspx

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-account-files-gone-134726.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Running Vista Home Premium Service Pack I have four accounts on the computer One admin account and three regular users Starting today the computer would not won't one for run files exe Vista user open exe files for one of the regular users It began with the error message quot You may not have the appropriate permissions to run this program quot and some searching led me to run virus scans One of the scans - AVG - hit on jst exe I ended up booting in safe mode and running a full scan which found AppData Local jst exe Win Cryptor AppData LocalLow Sun Java Deployment cache c e b- a Win Cryptor Documents l Hufy exe Trojan horse Generic AGGG all of which were moved to the Virus Vault After rebooting the computer the same user still can not run exe files but now I get a popup asking which program should open the file The other three users are running fine What can I try to get the fourth account back to normal Thanks

A:Vista won't run exe files for one user

On the Admin account

Right click over My Computer > Manage > Local users and groups > Users > Add that user to the same group the other 2 are in

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-wont-run-exe-files-for-one-user-619047.html
Relevancy 55.9%

My folders and files in C:/users/myname/ can be viewed and accessed from the Guest user account. How do I stop this?

A:Files in my user account can be accessed from guest user account in VISTA

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/files-in-my-user-account-can-be-accessed-from-guest-user-account-in-vista.805452/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hey now heres a dilemma for you I have just bought a dvd burner and was looking forward to getting some dvds from the newsgroups But to my dismay i couldnt extract the multiple rar files from the archieve because it was slightly bigger than gb ie i have FAT system I investigated the NTFS option but couldnt do it because i have windows pre installed on a time machine and if i change the system i cant reload windows from the hidden parts of my hdd because the specialised disc will only work in FAT knowing to the need of it to support NTFS systems time didnt want to because it kepts the technical support about it down There are programs about for the xbox to extract iso s from the rar files without extracting the rar files Then to transfer to the hdd of the xbox in one step I was wondering does anyone know of any program that will let me extract the contents of an image iso from files files from the rar rar etc..) (img,iso Extract files without image extracting rar files I know its possible because i know of two programs for xbox Extract image files (img,iso etc..) from rar files without extracting the rar files iso s Called Suxx and Craxtion I would appreciated anyyy help given here Its also difficult to explain the extract iso from rar files in a search engine very difficult Or something that will let me extract the contents of a rar without getting the gb limit error nbsp

A:Extract image files (img,iso etc..) from rar files without extracting the rar files

This stinks of illegality.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/extract-image-files-img-iso-etc-from-rar-files-without-extracting-the-rar-files.384959/
Relevancy 55.47%

I need help reorganizing my files and I d appreciate some guidance so User empty, How I fix? do elsewhere! files Account I don t screw up I have Windows XP I changed the name of some files as I was trying to neaten my filing and I messed up I have three User Accounts Steve Ian Guest Guest has always been empty no problem But when I log onto Steve my User Account empty, files elsewhere! How do I fix? file folders for all of my documents are there but there is nothing in them My Firefox default home pages are also erased and my Thunderbird email is also empty If I go in Ian my coworker s User Account under My Computer gt Files Stored On This Computer are listed Shared Documents Guest s Documents Ian s Documents Steve Smith s Documents - files are there but empty If I go Ian gt My Computer gt Local Disc C gt Documents amp Settings I see a whole pile of files They are All Users Default User Guest Guest SS Owner Steve Steve s Guest Steve s Guest Steve s Guest -- lt lt lt This is where my documents are My Firefox information seems to be in C Documents and Settings Steve s Guest s My Documents Application Data Mozilla Firefox Profiles ebb ozr default My Thunderbird email MIGHT be in C Documents and Settings Steve s Guest s My Documents Application Data Thunderbird as my mailbox configuration is there and I seem to have a loaded Inbox but nothing in my Sent box or so it appears I need to place my documents from Steve s Guest plus my Firefox settings and Thunderbird emails back onto the User Account Steve How do I get them there without losing them Thanks nbsp

A:User Account empty, files elsewhere! How do I fix?

In the account that all of the data is right now just backup to another media like CD-R's or DVD and then go into thew correct account and restore them to the account. You need to backup this information no matter what happens since you do not want to loose it. I do not know what happened to change the accounts like this but you might have to reforamt and re-install everything if copying this info back to your account does not work

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-account-empty-files-elsewhere-how-do-i-fix.486789/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi all...

i was playing with my laptop today and removed my user account. when i relogged into windows i had to login as administratorand found that all my files are gone... when i looked a little more closely i found that the files are there under my old user name but I DON'T HAVE ACCES TO THEM.. i am told that access is denied. how do i regain access to my files...

A:Solved: recovering user files on xp

You need to take ownership of all of the folders under the old username http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-recovering-user-files-on-xp.529349/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have two Admin accounts on Windows 8.1 and able to access Documents of other Account. There is a security issues as sometimes if anyone else access my Laptop from my Second Account then the person can open all documents in Documents folder of my Main Windows 8.1 account. Both the Windows Accounts has Administrator privileges and I want to restrict access from different account accessing my Documents. Note that both accounts are Password protected.

A:Restrict User Access to files

Hello Towget,

The only true way to prevent the other account from being able to access anything it wants is to change it to be a standard user account type instead of being an administrator.

User Account Type - Change in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/46895-restrict-user-access-files.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Is there anyway to delete a file under a username without logging on I stupidly downloaded a file not noticing I was on the wrong username I can only access the another (urgent) access files under user computer through safe mode on the user Administrator I already tried to find the username's folder the username is Please Use This in documents and settings but it's not there I can't access the control panel too it's not shown in my computer Is there any program that I can download that can do this I am not trying to do any thing malicious I downloaded a music video curiously not knowing it had nudity in it After noticing that I attempted to delete it but windows wouldn't let me it said another program was using it Then the computer froze so I shut it down and started it back up That's when I realized that I can't go back and delete the file because it was on my girlfriend's user the user Please Use This worst of all it was the desktop too Thanks for your help Twack

A:access files under another user (urgent)

Hey, twack, this is what friends are for:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/access-files-under-another-user-urgent-103255.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I recently upgraded from Win XP sp3 to Win 7 Pro x64, sp1. The ownership of a large number of files was changed to 1 of 4 users names beginning with s-1- and followed by a whole bunch of more numbers.

These files need to be deleted, or at least be available to me, as administrator, to change. The user doesn't show up anywhere (I did find it in the registry) and I don't seem to be able to change the ownership of the files.

Any suggestions of how I can handle this situation?

Bob

A:Need help managing files owned by user s-1- ...

Hello Bob, and welcome to Seven Forums.

The long s-1- number is the unique ID number of an user. These would normally be from users that have been deleted or not currently connected on the network.

If you are logged into an administrator account, then you should be able to take ownership of and set permissions to "Allow" your account "Full control" of the files/folders. You might see if using the "Take Ownship" context menu item below may be able to help.Take Ownership Shortcut
If not, then see if using OPTION THREE in the tutorial below may.Take Ownership of file - Vista Forums
Once you have ownership and access, you can safely edit and remove (delete) only the s-1- numbers from permissions if you like.

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/259926-need-help-managing-files-owned-user-s-1-a.html
Relevancy 55.47%

i had win xp Home edition on my main hdd.. then i came up with the stupid idea to repair windows... after i had done that windows didn't start anymore..
so i installed windows on another hdd and then i sat the hdd with broken windows as slave and started it up so that i could access all my files before formating the hdd...
but i could only access the files from 3 out of 4 users, one of the users i could access where password-protected and so was mine.. but i couldnīt access the personal files from my old user... how can i access the files from my old user-account??

Relevancy 55.47%

I just did a clean install of Windows 8 on a 256GB SSD. How do I move my User Profile Files (My Documents, etc.) to another drive?

A:Moving User Profile Files

User Folders - Change Default Location - Windows 7 Help Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/27207-moving-user-profile-files.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I am trying to delete user data files and folders from the user profile folder on the server side. I don't know why they are saving to the profile to begin with and they reappear after deleting them from the profile. I removed the files from the documents and settings profile folder on the client and they have not returned, however the server copy of the profile keeps coming back with the user data files and folders. Also wondering what files should be saved to the profile so I don't remove something that should be there.

A:xp profiles have user data files in them

hey, well the profile folder in the server is shared and here user can safe their profile setting known as "roaming profile" if you go to your user then right click and choose properties and it will have some text there about user profile make sure there is nothing written there.

also i don't think you should delete these files because these are used to structure the users background and other settings.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-profiles-have-user-data-files-in-them-307741.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Is there a way (in windowsXP) to share a folder on a removable drive with other users of the computer without copying it to the shared files folder?
I don't have space on my internal HD to hold it all, yet I want to make it completely read-only media for all the other users.
Thanks for your help.

Relevancy 55.47%

Hello all,

I just upgraded my PC case and after putting everything together, I booted the PC. Instead of booting into Windows 10, I received the 0xc000000e error saying the winload.exe was missing or corrupt. Using start up repair and resetting the PC all failed. I'm going to try an rebuild the BCD later tonight.

However, my question is this: there is a file on that drive that i do not want to lose and I want to make sure I recover it. I pulled the drive and attached to my other PC via USB. The drive is accessible, but my User folder is not there. Is this some type of encryption associated with my Microsoft account login that prevents me from accessing it, or can I just take ownership of the drive and my User folder will reappear?

Thank you for your response.

Daniel

A:Access User Files on Other Computer

Originally Posted by Daniel Jakob

Using start up repair and resetting the PC all failed.

Depending on how far along resetting this PC got before failing, it probably erased the user profiles on the drive as that is what resetting this PC means. Reset to factory condition, which means no user profiles.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/50909-access-user-files-other-computer.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I have read the messages that say that if you delete a user account you cannot get the files back... however I have seen some posts elsewhere that say it is possible.

I deleted the user account, then realized that the files were not sent to the recycle bin. I also can see the hidden file, its size, and the name of the file but the warning states it cannot be opened because the path has been changed or altered. I still see that the user has many files, and I do not seem to have gained any disk space...is it still possible to get these back.

I know when police agencies are searching for files on the computer they have software that recovers a lot of evidence...is there any out there that I can use?

A:Deleted User Account and files HELP

Hello Dionnisus, and welcome to Vista Forums.

When you delete a user account in Vista from the the Control Panel (User Accounts), the C:\User\(user name) folder will still be left behind as a backup in case you need files from it still. If you do not want it, you can safely delete that folder after deleting the account from the Control Panel.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/234812-deleted-user-account-files-help.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I created a new user and it was not a admin user but when I did it froze and I had to reboot the computer.

When I did I could log in to the new persons account but havent tried to log into mine yet so I will keep everyone posted on what happens.

HAPPY ONE WEEK ANNIVERSARY to what I hope is a great operating system and stop all those silly im a pc and im a mac tv commerials.

Oh one more thing, since I didn't create the new account as an admin person how come when I log in with that id that I can access all the system32 and files that if deleted could wreck havoc on my machine? Is that another bug?

Thx

A:Bug? Creating new user? Also, files not locked?

Hello apple....

By "accessing" , do you mean you can change those files or just view them? They are not supposed to be hidden , just read-only to standard users. Try copying a "new text document" that you have created on the desktop, to the system32 folder and see if it lets you do it.

Using your non-admin account, can you enter e.g. the administrator's account's documents? ( C:\users\your_admin_account\documents)

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/2256-bug-creating-new-user-also-files-not-locked.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Here s the story There are users in one office all are on XP and Office When one user opens any corrupting keeps excel User files excel file on the network it immediately becomes corrupt neither that user nor any other can open the file The error message is quot File error Data may have been lost quot sometimes it can let you into the file User keeps corrupting excel files other times it won t Funnily enough the file can be opened on the problematic users c drive with no problem and can be saved and edited no bother However even when moving that file back into the network by quot saving as quot or just copying it just gets corrupt again whenever the file gets saved by that user All other users can use edit and save any documents fine Any other users logging into the problematic pc all corrupt the files so its not a user issue Ive already reinstalled office and novell client and even re-imaged the pc STILL it corrupts the files Can anybody help nbsp

Relevancy 55.47%

I have three users on my computer. The other day it looks like some got corrupted.
When I logon at first every thing is fine. I get my wallpaper. Then some of my regular pgms start opening up. then the background goes completely black briefly. The icons still show up. Then the background turns a pale blue (not the BSOD BLUE) there is nothing on the background it is a solid color. In addition if I right click on the background and click on either "personalize or "screen resolution" I get the message about "outgoing call" (see attached) I tried to do a checkpoint but it had an error saying a file was in use(see 2nd attached)
The other two users are fine
Do I have to create a new user and copy the data files over ?

A:1 User some files possibly corrupted ??

See Option Two here: System Restore

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation DVD, you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:

Windows 7 Direct Download Links

Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

YOU MUST HAVE A VALID KEY TO INSTALL THIS .ISO. The one on the COA sticker on your computer will work.

You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.
Download and run Universal USB Installer ? Easy as 1 2 3
Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file
Select your USB flash drive
Click Create

For techies or folks who work on computers: Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/289622-1-user-some-files-possibly-corrupted.html
Relevancy 55.47%

In Windows 7 Windows explorer the directories "\documents and settings" and "\Users" , are the same size, appear to reside on 2 different places on the disk and are mirror copies of each other. If I rename a file in a \documents and settings directory it also renames the file it in the \Users directory. It seems my large music library is taking up twice the room it should. Can someone shed some light on my confusion?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/are-there-2-copies-of-user-files-in-windows-7-a-1069090.html
Relevancy 55.47%

so i created a new user account for my computer and i was wondering how i would transfer the files from the original profile to the new one i just made, thanks for any help

A:moving files to new user account

I'm trying to take some files from administrator and put them in the guest profile

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moving-files-to-new-user-account.540930/
Relevancy 55.47%

I was trying to do a backup, and a scan with Spybot, I may have purged things by accident.

I found all the files for my daughters music, favorites, pictures.

How can I get them back onto her side of the XP user account?

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.Frank8C0D6D6513\Desktop

A:Restore files to XP user account

hello raiderarmy,

try this and see if this is what you want to do

follow this link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

i know that the accounts are not corrupt but the process may work for you

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/restore-files-to-xp-user-account-220384.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I'm on Windows Vista - bit I apologize for not understanding the terms and whatnot enough to know how to ask the question shortly in less than a hundred words but here's what I know I don't care about quot sharing quot because I'm only dealing with one machine for now but the issue is about sharing It's about sharing files from one USER to another on this one machine All in the same Vista system I'm the administrator I've got two kids each non-public user to files access with their own quot username quot One has a password One doesn't I was on LeAnn's with a password user weeks ago and she was in the middle of something or I was lazy or just curious - I user access to non-public files don't remember but it might have been just curiosity on my part I wanted to access one of my word files from HER user without leaving her user and logging into mine So I did the admin override thing And ever since I haven't been able to KEEP her from reading all the quot word quot files in the admin user It's got to be just a checkmark in a box somewhere but I can't find it Please help

A:user access to non-public files

Read this article about how to stop sharing and permissions:http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...0b63eb1033.mspx

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/200067/user-access-to-non-public-files/
Relevancy 55.47%

Okay lets see if I can explain this good enough I lost a folder full of files and cannot find them anywhere on the computer I decided that I wanted the folder of files on a different user account so files help? user between Any I accounts. lost I created a new user account B we'll call my main user I lost files between user accounts. Any help? account A I was logged into user A and through mycomputer-cdrive-users I dumped all the files onto the desktop of user B User B was already logged into so I lost files between user accounts. Any help? I switched users and all my files were there I worked on them for about an hour or so and saved all my changes When I logged off User B the computer said something like User Account did not Shut down correctly or something similar Next time I logged into User Account B nothing was there Just a blank desktop and it went through the whole entire start up process when you create a new account I tried a system restore but that did not work It did not restore all my files Whats weird is that I had sent a few files that I no longer needed to the trash while logged into User B new account Even though everything had been deleted off of the desktop the files I put in the recycling bin were still there I need to try and recover those files Anyone have any advice

A:I lost files between user accounts. Any help?

Hi Derpeder, Welcome to bleepingcomputer. Try this Recuvahttp://filehippo.com/download_recuva/Doscat

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/346511/i-lost-files-between-user-accounts-any-help/
Relevancy 55.47%

Here s a weird question I m doing a new build and I m sticking to Win Pro -bit I ve purchased one of the new M PCIe SSDs to be my boot drive I understand that I have to install the OS from a UEFI device formatted GPT rather than MBR and I have already created the bootable USB flash drive using the great tutorial posted on this forum OK so far so good right Well here s my question I have ALWAYS installed Windows in audit mode and pathed the user files down to a dedicated data drive I path ALL data from ALL programs there because it makes maintenance simpler executables on one drive data on another So can I do this Is it possible to install the actual OS on a GPT boot drive and path the user GPT user files on on NTFS? drive, OS files to a regular NTFS-formatted drive Or am I comparing apples to oranges and the whole thing is a non-issue Thanks in advance for any substantive advice that may be offered OS on GPT drive, user files on NTFS? Susan

A:OS on GPT drive, user files on NTFS?

Hi and welcome to SevenForums,
I wouldn't think it matters but GPT for both or all drives just means you can have many partitions as you wish to create
MBR is just restricted to 4 max.

Your setup shouldn't be any different using GPT on both but if one is GPT I'd think both would be best as GPT.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/389128-os-gpt-drive-user-files-ntfs.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi,

I am running an XP computer on a home network, there is no server. Trying to test the auditing feature in XP to track user access of files. I have set the Local Security Policy for Audit Policy, audit object access. However, when specifying which folder to audit, the "Auditing" tab is not showing up in Advanced Security Settings.

Is there any other settings to enable the Auditing tab?

Thanks!

A:Audit user access of files

Hi, has anyone experienced this issue? Also, is this the correct forum for this type of question?

Thanks ...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/audit-user-access-of-files-247538.html
Relevancy 55.47%

After re-booting my computer today it came up with a blank desktop with only a few of the usual shortcuts.

It said my profile was corrupt & was loading with a temp profile.

When I looked in the documents and settings folder my normal user folder had .bak added to it and now there was a temp folder that it is using to load my user settings, just the basic stuff you would have after a new install.

All my files are still in the backed user folder so I removed the .bak extension and rebooted but still couldn't log on with my usual user name?

Can I just create a new user and then copy all the files from the my original folder that the system added .bak, to the new user folder? Will that restore all my shortcuts to my installed programs etc.?

How do you repair a corrupt profile?

any advice appreciated,
Thanks!

A:Win2k corrupt user files?

You should be able to do that but don't move the .dat or .ini files as one of these may be corrupt and you will just corrupt the new profile.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win2k-corrupt-user-files.314536/
Relevancy 55.47%

Trying to copy files and settings to a new user account set up on a Windows 7 macine. Microsoft says to copy all files but the following:

Ntuser.dat
Ntuser.dat.log
Ntuser.ini

I'm confused on what system files that should be copied then. These are the system and hidden files that I am seeing:

A:Copying User Account Files

Try using "Windows 7 easy transfer" instead.

A+ Certified

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/586763/copying-user-account-files/
Relevancy 55.47%

Reading your forums helped me figure out how to move my user files from the (C:) to (F:) to rid of unwanted used space on my SSD to make room for games. In doing so; however, I am unable to view shared folders on my Samsung Smart TV, or share my user files over the network in windows 7 (IE: open networking and sharing center/choose homegroup and sharing options/click on the libraries I want to share) from my main computer. I click the libraries to share, save changes, then click back in to see that the options were unchecked again. I didn't find any forum talk about this so here I am.

I am able to view the other computers shared media on this computer and the TV can view other computers shared media, just not this one.

I had no issues before moving the user files.

A:Problems after moving user files

How did you move those folders - with the location tab in Properties ??

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/353948-problems-after-moving-user-files.html
Relevancy 55.47%

At one point directions are to select all files and folders in my existing user account, EXCEPT Ntuser.dat Ntuser.dat.log Ntuser.ini I do not have Ntuser.dat.log. I have Ntuser.dat.LOG1 and Ntuser.dat.LOG2. LOG1 has 256 KB and was created today. LOG2 has 0 KB and was created 9-4-2010. I created two new admn. accounts to do this procedure. I logged into the account which I'm just using for transferring the files. Can anyone help! While we are at it does anyone know why I created paragraphs in this post and when I posted it everything came out all run together?

A:Copying files to new user profile

Welcome
Do it the easy way. Export all to a finger driver, using Live Transfer.
Then transfer back to as a new acccount. You will get everything, desktop, favorites, settings. Everything but programs.
Download: Windows Easy Transfer for transferring from Windows Vista (32 bit) to Windows 7 - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/293959-copying-files-new-user-profile.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I accidentally deleted the files along with a user account and now I need to know I good application that I can use to recover the lost data files. This is a life or death issue because it was my wifes account. Please help!!

A:User Account Files Deleted

shutdown the pc immediately and go to another pc to get/buy software off the internet. Put it on a usb stick and recover your files.

The longer you use and stay on the machine expecially if you download anything greatly reduces what you can recover.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-account-files-deleted.709100/
Relevancy 55.47%

I created a new standard account on my computer I installed chrome and messenger onto it then switched back to my admin account I opened up chrome and my history themes and all customizations were gone It gave me some error that I failed to record I tried to install a theme but it gave me the same error I decided to uninstall chrome But when I attempted to re-install it it wouldn t work I eventually gave up and tried to install firefox It gave me an error something along the lines of quot Profile is missing or inaccessible quot I also attempted to open trillian an IM program Usually it automatically logs in but this time I had to manually type it in But it would not log me in giving me an error quot unable to read from or write to the configuration directory for this account quot I had a similar problem with yahoo messenger Afterwards I discovered my music files and videos I had on my admin account would not play and gave me an error The songs were erased off of my media player and even though the files were still on my computer none of them would play Everything on my new account seems to work but nothing on my admin account will work How do I get my files back and get my browsers to Admin Not User Files Funtioning work again I am guessing the creation of the new account was what caused this but could it be something else

A:Admin User Files Not Funtioning

What problems do you have when using Internet Explorer ??Are they the same as Chrome and FF ??

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/449869/admin-user-files-not-funtioning/
Relevancy 55.47%

I had to format hdd and install new Win7 os, so i copy old files, Documents folder, to other hdd and when i installed new win7 i just copy old documents back but on other partition.
1HDD - C:\win7
D:\documents
and now when i try to open any file , jpg, doc, txt, pdf..... it wants from me :

right click on file, Properties, Security, Continue and change Current owner: Unable to display current owner to New user name and check box under, replace owner on subcontainers and objects. after i can open image or text but its work only for one file per action. I have about 60gb of data, can i remove owner from all at once ?

and when i 2x click on any via or admin to make them owner and close it, after i have this

so need to remove old user and add one. only after i can open jpg

A:Cant open files from old win7 user.

The old files have the owner set to the old user which has a different ID than your new user account (In the future you can avoid this if possible by transferring the old user account to the new machine. This can be done for the same machine between an update too).

But for now, follow this tutorial to make a "Take Ownership" context menu that you can use to quickly re-take ownership of those file from your old account. This should work for entire directories I believe (Though been a while since I used it)

Take Ownership Shortcut

Oh I should say "be careful" you do NOT want to use this on your windows folder or the entire C drive. Use it /only/ on your own files on other disks or that you have moved to your new users folder

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/203463-cant-open-files-old-win7-user.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hey guys I have a problem. I reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate 64x over my last copy of the same OS using the same disk, as Ive done in this manner twice before with complete success. This time however, when I go to my windows.old >> users file my old user account isnt there, while the public account is. I checked my disk usage and the whopping 129gb chunk of information that was my user account still exists somewhere, taking up space in a place I cant see. Furthurmore, I unticked the 'read only' box in the file properties of the whole windows.old file and while watching the names of all the affected subfolder and files whip by I caught glances of windows.old/user/xxxxx/music, pictures etc. So theyre obviously still there, just in a much less digitally tangible way. Soo... any ideas as to how I can possibly retrieve these files?

A:Missing user files in windows.old

Take a look here:
Windows.old folder - Restore into a new installation

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/163897-missing-user-files-windows-old.html
Relevancy 55.47%

When I try to delete certain files that I downloaded intentionally or not that I want off my system I am told I need to get permisson to do this files User delete permission to I am the only user who has ever been on this system I should have complete access as I am the sole system administrator I believe these files that I cannot delete DivX player which I did download and an unwanted User permission to delete files antivirus program quot FileCure User permission to delete files quot which I did not download and has caused me many problems before are causing all sorts of problems on my system including a background task running audio of ads and news a radio station which I cannot get rid of How do I reassert complete control of my system and delete these files people have viewed my other post here User permission to delete files for help with that audio problem and other problems No suggestions yet Help me get these files off my system Thanks scan log files added Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files ParetoLogic FileCure FileCure exe C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe C hp support hpsysdrv exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update hpwuSchd exe C Program Files Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager IAAnotif exe C Program Files Traysoft PhoneTray PhoneTray exe C Program Files Norton Engine ccSvcHst exe C Windows System hkcmd exe C Windows System igfxpers exe C Program Files DivX DivX Update DivXUpdate exe C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C Windows ehome ehtray exe C Program Files Free Ride Games GPlayer exe C Program Files Windows Live Messenger msnmsgr exe C Windows system igfxsrvc exe C Windows ehome ehmsas exe C Program Files AWS WeatherBug Weather exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exe C Users Tom AppData Roaming Jenkat Jenkat Games Arcade NotifyApp exe C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar wltuser exe C Windows system Macromed Flash FlashUtil i ActiveX exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Windows system Taskmgr exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Windows System notepad exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale en us amp c amp bd Pavilion amp pf cndt R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page URL SEARCHPAGE R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http home jzip com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale en us amp c amp bd Pavilion amp pf cndt R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page URL SEARCHPAGE R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale en us amp c amp bd Pavilion amp pf cndt R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer http R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook Free TV Bar Toolbar - a -d - c - b- b aa fb a - C Program Files Free TV Bar tbFree dll R - URLSearchHoo... Read more

Relevancy 55.47%

I am the administrator on the computer and all other log-ins have now been deleted, however, the files from these previous users still remain. Due to a privacy setting I cannot delete nor access these files. They are currently just clogging up space on the hard-drive and I would like to be able to get rid of them. How can I do this?

Thanks
Chris

Microsoft Windows XP Professional version 2002
Service pack 2

A:Deleting old user files that cannot be accessed

If you deleted them through user accounts thier documents will be on your desktop, if you did not do this can you elaborate more please.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/deleting-old-user-files-that-cannot-be-accessed.744585/
Relevancy 55.47%

Heres the deal, I decided to format my computer last night, and which I did, but before I did I made a complete back up of my hard drive on an external hard drive (file for file), but now I cannot access the files that were in my documents because I was a private user. Is there any way that I can access the files?

A:a way to reach private user files?

See if this helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/a-way-to-reach-private-user-files.509358/
Relevancy 55.47%

Guys I need help recovering my user files. My computer was acting very slow. I tried different restore times but was unable to solve the problem. it all started when I installed Nero. When I tried to access my music folder. I then got an error message stating that the folder was not responding. I then had the bright idea to do a PC recovery. bad idea. it deleted all of my user files except for shared files. HOW DO I GET MY USER FILES BACK. Thanks for your time.

Relevancy 55.47%

Does anyone know how Windows 7 actually uses the backup files it created in the backup/restore process? I found that when you do your first backup (e.g. to an external hard drive), it creates a rather large folder of ZIP files which contain all the data files you designated when you set up the backup procedure. Then, when it processes your periodic backups (mine are set for once a week, at night), it captures anything new since the last backup. The question I have is this: How does Windows 7 use those backup files in a restore? Does it process the restore files in the order originally created, then delete them and start over? I can't imagine that eventually there would be literally hundreds of backup files out there. Nothing in the HELP files or on the Microsoft site explains how these files are used, how they're cleared, etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-restore-of-user-files.1013900/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi All I plan to get a new Windows laptop soon I user an to drive? keep files on USB external OK want it to have gb RAM and an internal gb SSD drive where I keep all the OK to keep user files on an external USB drive? OS driver and other system files Then I want all my media files documents music vids etc on an external USB hard drive I recognize that keeping files on an external drive may cause slow behavior in some situations My my guess is that USB is fast enough so this won't be a problem in most situations And I plan to get an external drive that has USB I'm not a power user I don't edit video or do fancy rendering or stuff like that I just browse the net create some docs and spreadsheets listen to some music and watch some vids I play around with Audacity once in a while and that's about it I'm an average user So any problems with keeping all my user files on an external drive Thanks Cheers Advait

A:OK to keep user files on an external USB drive?

I could be wrong
If it were me, I'd get a self-propelled external hdd with SATA III hdd and connect it to computer with eSATA
From what I've read: SATA III transfers up to 6GBS and eSATA does share power like USB does
If you only have 1 computer, why not just install an internal SATA III drive ?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/53630-ok-keep-user-files-external-usb-drive.html
Relevancy 55.47%

This might be covered somewhere I looked but honestly I'm not sure what the search term would be I've got a Vista laptop that was backed up with an on-line service Carbonite The hard drive failed and has been replaced I did a restoration to factory settings and installed Microsoft Office Mozilla and Thunderbird Assign user restore after files the primary apps on the laptop Then I started a full restore Primarily the backup data includes everything in the c Users folders It doesn't do Program Files unless you specify it In this case the backup is all the user files So when I did the rebuild I created a generic admin account When I restored files it restored the user files from the backup So the drive looked like this C Users Original UserName C Users GenericUserName Then I created a new admin account with the original user name and logged onto that account As you might guess Vista created a NEW user folder C Users Original UserName PCName just like a domain local user account So how am I supposed Assign user files after restore to logon to the original UserName account How do I assign all the files under C Users Original UserName to the user with the same name Once done can I delete the other accounts and user folders While it's nice to get the data back one of the major reasons for the backup is to recover all of the program settings data like e-mail configs and such I've learned that logic has nothing to do with Vista but my logic would say finish restoring all the files and then somehow assign the restored User files to the Original UserName account and end up back where we were before the crash Am I asking too much from a backup Thanks Fog

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/201518-assign-user-files-after-restore.html
Relevancy 55.47%

My brother wanted to play a game on my computer, so I created an account. I have private files under C:\Users\Jason (Me) and I don't want him to access them. If I right click "Jason" and choose "Properties," I go to security. There is where the problem comes in.
I don't see his name listed.

Everyone
SYSTEM
Jason (Jason-PC\Jason)
Home Users (Jason-PC\Home Users)
Account Unknown ( Random words and numbers )
uuid: 1000000-0000-0000-0200-001DD8 *ECT*
Administrators (Jason-PC\Administrators)
Users (Jason-PC\users)
WMPNetworkSvc

What do I edit so my brothers account *Steven* won't be able to access my files under C:\Users\Jason?

A:How do I block a user from accessing my files?

Under the list of names click Edit, then click Add and type your brothers Username in, click Ok then tick the box Deny beside Full Control.

Regards,
George

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-do-i-block-a-user-from-accessing-my-files-573302.html
Relevancy 55.47%

How i can prevent users downloading big files such as movies.

A:Prevent from user to download big files

what operating system? on your computer or on network?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/prevent-from-user-to-download-big-files-654965.html
Relevancy 55.47%

The old user had a virus which did not spread to any others on the computer. so i deleted it. However when i go to C:\users the folder 'James' still exists. When trying to get 'full control' permissions an error comes up for every folder under 'james'. The error is called
"Error Applying Security"
and states:
"An error occurred while applying security information to: C:users\James\****
access is denied"
Whether i press continue or cancel it appears that the changes have gone through. however i still dont have access to the folders.

Any help would be appreciated.

A:Deleted user, cannot now delete files.

Welcome
See if this hidden adminsitrator, for Vista or
Seven, can help
Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Forums[2]=User Accounts

You can then try this if above does not work
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...rs-groups.html

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/288463-deleted-user-cannot-now-delete-files.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I finally had to make a different user account on our Windows computer for the business With all of our personal and business stuff intermingled it s just getting hard to find anything So I set up a new user account and now I account Move to different user files a want to move some stuff to the other account Here s a list of the things I d like to move Bookmarks from Firefox Files from My Documents Pictures from My Pictures Files from the Desktop Is this something I can easily drag drop somehow Because I don t want to switch accounts back and forth and use a tiny thumb drive to move all that stuff over if I can possibly help it After they are moved over I Move files to a different user account don t want need them to be accessible from my account anymore either Also I d like to delete the shortcuts for the games we have loaded on my account the administrator from the business account to clean up the desktop for things that we actually need on that account This is part of what finally made me decide that we needed a new account Thanks nbsp

A:Move files to a different user account

Yes, just go to the C drive, then to Users, then to the account you want to copy the files from open it and cut and paste the files you want. If you have passwords on the accounts you will need to take ownership first I believe: http://www.intowindows.com/take-ownership-of-files-and-folders-in-windows-8/

Or just cut and paste the files from the old account into a folder on the C drive, then log into the new account and cut and paste them to where you want them to be on the new account.

Definitely would never use a USB drive for moving files between account on the same computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/move-files-to-a-different-user-account.1157529/
Relevancy 55.47%

Last night I was trying to find the back up files for my iPhone, and was under my user folder. I click to show hidden files, and all of a sudden, all my files from that folder disappeared.

I tried searching for the folder, but haven't had any luck. I know my files are still there. I got a hard drive from my old computer and put it in an enclosure and transferred my picture files there, but every time I try to add them to my picture folder, it says if I want to replace the files that were on there before.

I am not sure where those files are/what happened to them. I dont want to replace that folder because I also have files that were not on my old computer (mainly pictures from my iPhone that I had deleted from my phone after transferring them onto my computer and don't want to lose them).

Any help.

A:Can't See my User Files (Picture, Documents)

was it the files in the folder or the folder that disappeared?
what was the folders name?
if you try to create the folder do you get a message it exists?

Go to a cmd prompt
go to your user directory [assuming the folder was here]
type attrib and hit enter

Do you see your folder listed here?

if not have you checked recycle bin?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cant-see-my-user-files-picture-documents-562280.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I have 3 Windows 7 computers set up. I want to use one of these comps has a server for all files and things for the other 2 computers. I set my user file locations to the user files on the server comp and while letting me view it does not let me delete or create. What permissions do i need to set to achieve this?

A:Permissions For Sharing User Files

Hi Welcome to Seven Forums ... Read the Link below it should answer all your questions ...
Windows Networking: User Accounts, Groups, Permissions & Their Role in Sharing

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/358258-permissions-sharing-user-files.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I was trying to locate some files in my user folders in Windows I all and files My drive user gone folders C from are my was looking for the app data files to restore my email from an My user folders and files are all gone from my C drive old version to a new clean install of the client I could not find the folder although I knew it existed as this is where the app is storing my email so I figured it was hidden I started to look for the setting I knew in that would allow you to see hidden files when you ran the folder properties The only thing I saw anywhere about hidden files was on the first page of the properties where it says read only and hidden so I checked the box and told it to apply I know stupid thing to do since I did not understand what it was doing This is so unlike me Now I do not have any user folders and not much works How can I restore my user files Thanks Jane Spaulding

A:My user folders and files are all gone from my C drive

Hello Jane,

You can use step 2 in OPTION ONE of the tutorial below to have you hidden files (faded) show.
Hidden Files and Folders - Show or Hide - Windows 7 Help Forums
Afterwards, set the same folders to no longer be hidden or read-only.

File and Folder - Hide or Unhide - Windows 7 Help Forums

Read-only File and Folder Attribute - Windows 7 Help Forums
When finished, you can use step 3 in OPTION ONE of the first tutorial to no longer have your hidden files show.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/23580-my-user-folders-files-all-gone-my-c-drive.html