Windows Support Forum

Pinned icons missing after upgrade to Windows 7

Q: Pinned icons missing after upgrade to Windows 7

Upgraded from Vista to Windows Home Had a bunch of icons in the taskbar in Vista and now they're not showing up in the taskbar of windows Also I used to be able to drag the icon next to the url in IE and drag it down to make a shortcut in my taskbar But in Windows that same url when dragging down to pin to the taskbar Windows does not let me I see quot pin to taskbar quot but I can't click on it it's weird What else is weird is when I upgrade Pinned 7 icons missing to after Windows do drag that url shortcut and try to click pin I see a pop-up dialog to the left way to the left by the start menu next to the google box that shows a list of pinned icons and that icon IS showing in that list But it's NOT in my taskbar so wtf Did the upgrade f up my taskbar that had icons from Vista prior It shows they're there in that pop-up seems like the pop-up is misaligned and out of place broken Pinned icons missing after upgrade to Windows 7 but I see none Pinned icons missing after upgrade to Windows 7 of them in my taskbar I can drag other icons to the taskbar

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Pinned icons missing after upgrade to Windows 7

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Pinned icons missing after upgrade to Windows 7

The method used for pinning items to the taskbar is to right click them when they're opened. Then, once you've pinned a program to the taskbar you can right click it to see subsets of recent items that you can also pin to that item. I

In other words, files are pinned to the context menu of whatever APP opens them.

In the picture below you can see that I have three items pinned to the explorer program and the explorer program pinned to the taskbar.

When you drag down a url, it will still pin the item, but it will pin it to the context menu of the program that opens it.

If you want to see a normal right click menu for the pinned program, simply Shift+Right Click

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/79677-pinned-icons-missing-after-upgrade-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I wanted to ask whether anyone knew how to change the icons for programs pinned to the taskbar in windows 8.1.
For example changing the icon for VLC from it's usual traffic cone to some symbol of the user's own choosing.
Or changing the size of some of the icons, so things you want to use more often have larger icons and things you use less often have smaller icons.
Or perhaps editing an icon for a program on their so that the icon becomes the usual icon for the program but with a dark or bright coloured line around it, or a load of small inward pointing arrows.
Or switching one from colour to greyscale.
Is this possible to do? How?
All I could find from google searches were things about how to add and remove icons, or change the look of the taskbar as a whole.
Thank You

A:Windows 8.1 taskbar, changing icons of pinned programs?

Hi rp88 You just have to change the icon of the shortcut or application that you drag in the taskbar, it'll keep that icon. Just tested it myself and it worked

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573824/windows-81-taskbar-changing-icons-of-pinned-programs/
Relevancy 68.37%

I wanted to ask whether anyone knew how to change the icons for programs pinned to the taskbar in windows 8.1. For example changing the icon for VLC from it's usual traffic cone to some symbol of the user's own choosing. Or changing the size of some of the icons, so things you want to use more often have larger icons and things you use less often have smaller icons. Or perhaps editing an icon for a program on their so that the icon becomes the usual icon for the program but with a dark or bright coloured line around it, or a load of small inward pointing arrows. Or switching one from colour to greyscale. Is this possible to do? How?All I could find from google searches were things about how to add and remove icons, or change the look of the taskbar as a whole.Thank You 

Songsinh.

A:Windows 8.1 taskbar, changing icons of pinned programs?

Hi songsinh1241 I'm pretty sure it's possible. The icons you pinned to your taskbar are located in the following folder:C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBarFrom there, right-click on any icon and select Properties. Click on the Change icon... buttom and select a new one, then apply the changes. Once done, the icon for the program in the taskbar should change.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587338/windows-81-taskbar-changing-icons-of-pinned-programs/
Relevancy 68.37%

Here is our dilemma. At the community college I work at, the librarians have requested that certain icons be pinned to the taskbar for all users. By default, Internet Explorer, File Explorer, and Store are pinned on the taskbar in Windows 8.1.

Well, they want none of those icons pinned to the taskbar, but they do want other icons pinned. I have tried a script to get rid of them on logon, but it deletes the icons so slowly that users can actually notice the icons disappearing on logon (it takes about 2 seconds per icon to delete). The librarians dislike this.

So, has anyone figured out the mechanism that creates these three icons? I would like to figure out a way to disable their creation in the first place, if possible. Already, Windows will allow additional icons to be added; it simply won't allow these three to be removed.

A:How to remove default pinned taskbar icons in Windows 8.1?

Right click and select "unpin this program from the taskbar". I have that option for all three on my Windows 8.1 system.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/51158-how-remove-default-pinned-taskbar-icons-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi All Recently took the plunge and downloaded Windows I'm still in the process opened pinned right open the Force taskbar of windows icons? to to of tweaking it to my liking and there are Force opened windows to open to the right of pinned taskbar icons? a few things that are driving me nuts and I don't know how or if I can fix them The main problem that is irritating me right now relates to the taskbar and pinned icons I've pinned several commonly used icons which rest nicely on the bottom left However when I click on an icon I notice it will open up right next to the icon itself I really dislike this as it essentially boots all the other objects to the right of that icon to the right which makes it harder to find other objects in that taskbar list that I might want to click on to open The problem gets worse when I click on several pinned items too Is there a way to force open programs to always open to the right of the last icon It was obviously normal possible to do this in XP Win Any advice or assistance would be most appreciated Sincerely Mr Gisa P S - Bonus questions issues that are starting to bother me as well I is there a way to give these opened windows a dark black border like in XP Not a fan of the transparent borders but can't find the option to enable them II I'm reaching here but is there also a way to turn off the fade in out when clicking on a video link or looking at pictures

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/57595-force-opened-windows-open-right-pinned-taskbar-icons.html
Relevancy 67.08%

So I upgraded to Windows 10 and reverted back to Windows 7. And now my pinned / recent documents aren't showing on the taskbar icons.

For example, I have Excel on the taskbar icons. Before the upgrade, I was able to view recently opened documents and even pinned them to the icons which I can view by simple right clicking the icons on the taskbar.

How do I get this back?

Example: PS doesn't show my pinned or recent items. Excel does.... Word doesn't.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/383315-windows-7-taskbar-icons-no-longer-showing-pinned-recent-documents.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hello again My Google Chrome is pinned to my taskbar and when I click the icon it has always opened a window within that icon all of a sudden it started creating a separate one I found a Windows Separate Icon 7 Pinned Than Other Creates Chrome Taskbar Icons thread about this issue on this forum and it seemed to be solved with the solution below This solution does not work for me as there isn't two Google Chrome ink when I get to UserPinned Taskbar Also when I right click on the new icon and select 'Pin this program Windows 7 Taskbar Creates Separate Chrome Icons Other Than Pinned Icon to taskbar' It no longer has the right click option of 'New INCOGNITO Window' I found another solution online saying to delete the UserData from Chrome but my Chrome isn't synced up with my gmail account because it has caused problems in the past so I have no way of retrieving my bookmarks extensions etc Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you Quote I've just found an easy fix from Superuser com Please check the steps here Google Chrome pinned to Windows taskbar not opening under pinned icon - Super User Start Google Chrome this creates a quot new quot Chrome taskbar icon Right click on the quot new quot icon and select quot Pin this program to taskbar quot Go to C Users YourUserName AppData Roaming Microsoft Internet Explorer Quick Launch User Pinned TaskBar You will see the two pinned quot Google Chrome lnk quot here Delete the quot Google Chrome lnk quot Make quot Google Chrome lnk quot readonly Right Click - gt Properties - gt General tab - gt tick Read-only - gt Click OK

A:Windows 7 Taskbar Creates Separate Chrome Icons Other Than Pinned Icon

Welcome to Seven Forums juiceimus. The fact you don't have it synced makes it difficult, as that is a fix. I have 2 ideas for you:

Right click the Chrome shortcut> Properties> Compatibility Tab> Change compatibility to Vista

See if that works (you could try other compatibility choices as well. This would be a workaround as the fix is something you can't do

Also, you might try unpinning the icon, Open Chrome from the start menu by right clicking the Chrome icon and choosing Run as administrator. Now pin that instance of Chrome to the taskbar, and see of that helps.

A Guy

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/322745-windows-7-taskbar-creates-separate-chrome-icons-other-than-pinned-icon.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I have W7 Beta 7000 installed (64 bit Ultimate).

The problem is for whatever reason, when clicking the windows explorer or wmp icons that are *pinned* in the taskbar, they open a new icon instead of highlighting the pinned ones. They initially used to work right but suddenly started opening new icons instead. Not sure why.

I have this for the pinned shortcut properties for WMP:

target:
"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /prefetch:1
start in: *blank*

For windows explorer:
start in and target both:
C:\Users\Chad\Downloads

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pinned-icons.797936/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi everybody,

First, please excuse me if this is not the most proper place to post this question.

I?d like to tell you about pinned icons; I have some of them on my taskbar. The problem: anytime I click on one of them the pinned icon dissapears, and the pinned icon does not return where it was until I close the application.

My question is: is there a way to make pinned icons to behave the same way as if they were on the old quicklaunch bar ?

Thanks in advance.
CU.

A:Pinned icons

Hello CU,

Yes, you could add Quick Launch to your taskbar if you like.

Quick Launch - Add to Taskbar in Windows 8

As a test, see if unpinning the app, open the app, and pin the app again will have the icon show properly for it again.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/65583-pinned-icons.html
Relevancy 60.63%

If I have multiple Firefox browsers open that are not in full screen mode, once clicked on, that screen disappears before I can reach it with my pointer.
This happen with all pinned icons that are not in full screen mode or a small notification box.
Someone mentioned that Lenovo maybe had an update that messed with the settings.
Any thoughts?

A:Help with opening pinned icons

ive actually had that a while back with my pc, not a lenovo but try to change the windows theme from aero to something else like basic. if that doesnt work it could maybe be a simple gpu driver update or something

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/109170-help-opening-pinned-icons.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I just noticed that it seems impossible to customize the icons of programs pinned to the taskbar/superbar.

You can change the icon, and any other instances of it will appear properly, but the one pinned to the taskbar is the one contained in the EXE and nothing else.

This is terrible, the taskbar/superbar is a lot like the OSX dock, but what good is it to have these nice big icons if you can't even customize them?

Please tell me someone has found a work-around for this.

A:Changing pinned icons??

Create a shortcut. Customize the icon. Pin the shortcut.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/20186-changing-pinned-icons.html
Relevancy 60.2%

My settings are set to never combine my taskbar buttons but I also have some pinned icons on my superbar If one of my pinned programs gets closed it'll go into pin-mode in the middle of all the other programs superbar pinned in icons Grouping it was next to I was wondering if it could be possible to always have my pinned icons on the left side and when the programs go into pin-mode after being Grouping pinned icons in superbar closed make them automatically go to the left side of the bar to be grouped with the other pinned programs it'd also be a plus if you could set a predefined order of icons when Grouping pinned icons in superbar grouped It's inconvenient to do it manually each time I open and close programs and I think it looks bad having a pinned program in the middle of a Grouping pinned icons in superbar bunch of running programs P A program also opens up in the middle of a bunch of pinned icons if I group them manually It'd be nice if the program would go to the running programs side as well as going to the pinned side after being closed PS I was looking for a way and this is the only real useful thing I've come across Forum FAQ How to deploy Windows Taskbar Pinned Icons by Group Policy Is that what I need I don't wanna risk it by messing with my registry blindly at least not without confirmation about the link or something

A:Grouping pinned icons in superbar

I know this isn't going to help you, but all (3 of) my pinned programs always sit at the left hand side of my toolbar. Either next to the start button or my Quick Launch.
Mind you when I did pin them they were, at the time, the only program I had open.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/102128-grouping-pinned-icons-superbar.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi all,

I have the Task Bar buttons setup for 'always combine, hide labels'.

Usually when I open a pinned icon, the app opens and the pinned icon 'grows' a border to indicate the app is open.

However some pinned icons (itunes, for example), do not exhibit this behavior, instead it opens another icon. So I have the the pinned icon, plus the actual icon for the open itunes app.

Is there a reason itunes (and a few others) behave this way. Is there a way to get them to work 'normally'?

Thanks.

A:Pinned icon behaviour is different for certain icons

Quote: Originally Posted by foghat

Hi all,

I have the Task Bar buttons setup for 'always combine, hide labels'.

Usually when I open a pinned icon, the app opens and the pinned icon 'grows' a border to indicate the app is open.

However some pinned icons (itunes, for example), do not exhibit this behavior, instead it opens another icon. So I have the the pinned icon, plus the actual icon for the open itunes app.

Is there a reason itunes (and a few others) behave this way. Is there a way to get them to work 'normally'?

Thanks.

I think that the way they open is a feature of the program or application. I do not think there is anything reasonable that could be done to change that behavior.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/49731-pinned-icon-behaviour-different-certain-icons.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Is there any possibility to put re-name option under start menu pinned icons right-click? Some names are too long or have numbers, so I would like to re-name them in more easy way then going to Properties-General. Thanks in advance!

A:Re-name to the pinned icons menu at start?

Hi Kika,

Going to Properties > General is the easiest way to rename Start menu pinned items. I suppose you could drag the item to the Desktop, click the name, edit it, then drag it back to the Start menu... but that doesn't seem any faster.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Walker
Windows Outreach Team

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/56922-re-name-pinned-icons-menu-start.html
Relevancy 60.2%

hi all

did you know you can rearrange your pinned icons on the taskbar by left clicking and holding with mouse then move to desired place and release.

USEFUL LINK >>> http://tinyurl.com/3287c2e

A:rearrange your pinned icons on the taskbar

yes ,but its left click hold,drag and drop in place. thanks though.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/182831-rearrange-your-pinned-icons-taskbar.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I am constantly installing/uninstalling a program for work to test. However, whenever I pin a shortcut to a file that is delivered upon install - it gets removed once I uninstall the program. I follow this thread, but my maintenance system was already disabled. Is there a way to prevent the icons from being unpinned?

A:Win7 removing pinned icons

Welcome to the Forums.

Perhaps for testing purposes you could create a .cmd file that simply called the program passing the pinned filename. Windows should see the file pinned to the batch file and not remove it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/336505-win7-removing-pinned-icons.html
Relevancy 59.34%

How do I change the width of just the pinned icons in the taskbar, and not mess with the size of the programs that I have open?
Currently all my pinned icons are huge, and are about a 1/4 of the way across the task bar.

A:How do I change the width of just the pinned icons in the taskbar

Right Click on the task bar & select Properties, on the window that opens tick Use Small Icons which is under the Task Bar tab, then select Apply & see if the results suit you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/347925-how-do-i-change-width-just-pinned-icons-taskbar.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I changed some of my default program icons such as firefox and in the start menu or when it's pinned to the taskbar it shows up changed how i want it, but if i don't have it pinned and open it I see the normal firefox icon. This only happens with a few programs so far I've seen it when trying Chrome, Firefox and Itunes.

A:Program icons appear different when pinned to taskbar and unpinned

Hi Eddie794, when you change a pinned Icon, you usually need to Unpin and Close the program before it will take effect to change the Icon, then you can repin it.

How did you change the Icon, did you change it from a Shortcut on your Desktop, a shortcut in the Start Menu, or from the Taskbar itself?

See if making another Shortcut for the Program and changing the Shortcut's Icon helps.

Go to the Application's location and Right Click on the .exe and select Create Shortcut
A popup will ask warning you that you cannot save there and will save to the Desktop instead, click Yes.
Right Click on the new Icon's Shortcut from the Desktop and select Properties.
In the Shortcut Properties Box select Change Iconand click Browse to go to the location of the Icon you want to change.
Repin iTunes or whatever program it is and the Icon should change:
Program Locations:
iTunes = C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe
Firefox = C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
Chrome = C:\Users\User-Name\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Note
The locations may vary because these are the 32 Bit locations and according to your System Specs you are running 64 Bit.
If none of this helps, try rebuilding your Icon Cache and try attempting this again

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/215102-program-icons-appear-different-when-pinned-taskbar-unpinned.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi Guys Im new and have never posted here before so please help me out I have my computer specs I have windows ultimate -bit completely updated and Im having some trouble with pinning to the taskbar So I can pin items fine but I can no longer change the order of the taskbar items I previously had from left to right Chrome gt WMP gt Explorer gt Steam Gaming Platform of order Pinned Taskbar Change Cannot icons Only those four in that order I tried Cannot Change order of Pinned Taskbar icons pinning something else which didnt work and now I have this dilemma - it changed the order of the Cannot Change order of Pinned Taskbar icons pinned icons and now I cannot seem to change them back into the desired order Im guessing some regedit might fix this Tried locking and unlocking the taskbar also tried going to C Users quot user quot AppData Roaming Microsoft Internet Explorer Quick Launch User Pinned TaskBar and checked to see if there was any pinned programs that shouldnt be there Any other Ideas

A:Cannot Change order of Pinned Taskbar icons

Welcome
Try
right click on task bar and unlock.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/124611-cannot-change-order-pinned-taskbar-icons.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I am trying to find out how Lenovo has configured Win 7 such that each new user gets two icons- Lenovo Shop App and Lenovo Device Experience. I know a user can unpin them, but this is for a business and we cannot expect every user to be able to accomplish this task. We do not want to create a support snafu when users try to use these icons.

I know there is a local GPO that can eliminate pinned icons completely, but this is not what I want to achieve.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Remove Pinned OEM Icons from Taskbar for ALL USERS

quote : I know there is a local GPO that can eliminate pinned icons completely, but this is not what I want to achieve.

Were you referring to this tutorial ?
Taskbar Pinned Programs - Enable or Disable

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/240295-remove-pinned-oem-icons-taskbar-all-users.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi guys, I need to know the specific files that hold the start menu and toolbar icons and the items pinned to those toolbar icons is all this contained in the icon cache? Also what about the location for the library icons?

At times I have to restore win 7 with multiple user accounts and I would prefer to restore my start menu and toolbar icons (with the pined items intact) also I need to restore the customized library.

Is all this info stored in the icon cache or are there specific files that I need to backup and restore?
Thanks

A:Backup and restore pinned icons and library

Welcome to the forum,

Have a look here, imageres.dll, for some of those icons.

As for restoring everything back how you want it, I would suggest using an image that you create when everything is how you want it, Here's a couple tutorials on imaging.

Imaging with free Macrium

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/83942-backup-restore-pinned-icons-library.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello

Because I have more than two dozen pinned icons, I search a solution to backup & restore them in case I have to duplicate user profile or reinstall OS.

These icons are customized (some of them with tips founded here, for exemple game explorer, recycle bin etc..) with special *ico

I know pinned icon links are stored to :

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\

But restored links don't restore pinned icons on an empty taskbar, even if I reset iconcache.db and restart computer.

Are there some registry entries or configuration files to backup/restore in order to find my customized taskbar icons ?

Thanks

A:Taskbar pinned icons - how to backup/restore them ?

Hello Tim,

You might see if keeping a folder with a copy of the pinned shortcuts as a backup. After a clean install,you could then just pin them back to the taskbar, or pin the folder to the taskbar to make it even faster.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/68536-taskbar-pinned-icons-how-backup-restore-them.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Ok so i was told to make my own thread so ill try to go thoroughly through what ive done I will keep this updated for anyone else searching for the similar problem PLEASE READ st BEFORE TRYING ON YOUR COMPUTER might learn from my mistakes if there icons, icons, all Desktop, start all malware, menu missing empty missing programs Black is any Original problemsYesterday got popups saying error and would come back min after you close them Got something saying quot Remove Windows Recovery quot and quot system scanning quot wouldn t close EVER quot User account control quot kept asking for permission and i kept denying had to quickly click off screen on a web page to get it to Black Desktop, missing all icons, malware, start menu missing icons, programs all empty stop asking Desktop was blank and blackStart menu was empty everything missing task bar all unpinned also What ive doneWent to use advira asked to update so i figures why not quick so it does better well not sure if that has anything to do with it but i was unable to quot system scan quot yet i could still right click a folder and scan with advira So i looked what to do online since all i could do was still go on line thankfully and i found this http malwarecrypt com index php PHPSESSID bf Black Desktop, missing all icons, malware, start menu missing icons, programs all empty d c a b d d e d amp topic basically saying to - Empty Temp Storage so I did Then found this place shortly after and Downloaded AVG and used it quot Object name quot quot C Users Jeremiah AppData Local Microsoft Windows Temporary Internet Files Low Content IE EMY BH gfwlivesetup d fa e DIR exe quot Then used AVG tune up kit which in turn quot fixed quot files Also SIDE NOTE by this time my computer isnt having any more pop ups thankfully Then downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and used it Registry Data Items Infected HKEY CURRENT USER SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer Advanced Start ShowMyComputer PUM Hijack StartMenu - gt Bad Good - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully HKEY CURRENT USER SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer Advanced Start ShowSearch PUM Hijack StartMenu - gt Bad Good - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully After MBAM I still dont have anything back on my desktop besides newly downloaded things and still no start menu items and documents all still say empty I find unhide exe and use it also go to control panel and check UNhide all hidden folders get a few back By this time i just read that i SHOULDNT have emptied my temp folders BLEEP MEI go back and do a few random steps just to try tdskiller exe nothing bad appears Rkill com nothing terminated I download SystemLook bit posed here post http www bleepingcomputer com forums topic html page hl start menu and folders are empty windows st Tried doing the following and i was unable to because C Program Data Start Menu didnt exist and C Users Jeremiah AppData Local Temp smtmp all the folders are empty anyways not sure if that matters but thought it was important This is what you have to do Copy all content of this folder C Users Matthew AppData Local Temp smtmp and paste it to this folder C Program Data Start MenuNOTE quot Start Menu quot folder is a system folder so in order to see it in Windows Explorer go Tools gt Folder Options gt View tab and UN-check quot Hide protected operating system files quot Then Copy all content of this folder C Users Matthew AppData Local Temp smtmp and paste it to this folder C Program Data DesktopNOTE quot Desktop quot is also a system folder Then downloaded and completed Current User Start Menu zipThen was told to make my own thread Problems I still haveHave to repin everything my self not a big deal Start menu is empty on right hand side of course All my folders in all programs say empty when clicked onStill missing SOME icons on desktop-ALSO Avira is now letting me do a system scan as it wouldn t earlier Id like to know what caused this can streaming movies from http www... Read more

A:Black Desktop, missing all icons, malware, start menu missing icons, programs all empty

I went through this same thing. The folders that say empty...are they light rather than normal? If so you didn't change the setting for files and folders correctly (I did the same thing at first) Open up windows explorer (my computer, etc) click on organize, then go down to folder and search options:

On the first tab (general) under navigation pane make sure "show all folders" is selected.

Then go to the next tab (view) and make sure those settings are correct, select the radio for "show hidden files, folders and drives" and make sure all your other settings are the way you want them.
I got mine from clicking on a link to a website I'd never gone to before and then what i thought was adobe told me that I needed to update my flash player to view the content on the page, I clicked ok and it took over my computer with the same exact things you're talking about.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/426701/black-desktop-missing-all-icons-malware-start-menu-missing-icons-programs-all-empty/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hey guys I've seen threads on this subject before on here but here's another I've had my Windows PC Pinned icons taskbar disappearing program opens when for a year and a half now and the entire time I've had it I've had Firefox pinned to the taskbar and when I click Pinned taskbar icons disappearing when program opens on the icon the program opens AND the icon stays there on the taskbar It has been like this since I've had the computer This is how I want it I don't know if it's coincidence or not but today I updated Firefox to version and now when I click the pinned taskbar icon the program opens and the taskbar icon for Firefox disappears I know you can set up a quicklaunch workaround I've done that but I'm just not satisfied I know you can click this and that to get a new window to open but all I want is my computer back the way it has been for the last months PLEASE for the love of God tell me there's a way I can get the functionality that I had back I've read in certain threads that Windows is designed for them to disappear when opened It was never this way on my PC and I just want my setup back how I had it I tried rolling back to FF to no avail Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Pinned taskbar icons disappearing when program opens

Hello mryan, and welcome to Seven Forums.

If you have not already, you might see if unpinning and pinning Firefox again directly from it's .exe file may sort it.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/241277-pinned-taskbar-icons-disappearing-when-program-opens.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I searched this and ended up deleting and rebuilding the icon cache per another thread, but it did not work. I attached a screenshot. The icons missing are google chrome, opera, and CPUIDhmonitor.

A:pinned icons to taskbar keep changing to unknown icon

Did you try this? Icon went missing in Windows 7? Here's a Fix

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/60234-pinned-icons-taskbar-keep-changing-unknown-icon.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I use start 8 on both my windows 8.1 desktop and my tablet. My internet speeds were okay, but I wanted more. Based on the speed tests that I ran, it appeared to me that I was on Comcast's performance starter getting download speeds of 7.37mbps and uploads of 15.65. So I called Comcast to see about an upgrade. The tech that I spoke with stated that I already had the faster that they offer. He asked me how many icons did I have near the start button, I had 5, he told me to unpin them from the taskbar and my speeds went to DL - 57.48, the upload stayed pretty much the same 15.64. Just thought that I would pass this on. I don't know if this works for any other provider.

A:Icons pinned to taskbar slows internet speed

Say whaaaat? This is sure a new one on me. Maybe someone else can explain how this possibly could impact download speed. What were the shortcuts for? Anything dealing with the network?

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/37869-icons-pinned-taskbar-slows-internet-speed.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Does anyone think it'd be a good idea or be cool to give our Pinned stuff their own ICON when they are PINNED? I think so....I don't like seeing some default small icon in a HUGE box. There should be a way to do this.

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/7657-make-custom-metro-box-icons-pinned-stuff.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I find the time it takes to display the tooltip for pinned icons on the taskbar is too long. It's over a second. Does anyone know how to change it? I did the MouseHoverTime registry hack found here but that didn't change anything.

Just in case you don't know what I mean:

Relevancy 58.91%

I have a custom app which is pinned to my task bar.

For tha app, I also have 5 Word (.doc) files pinned to it, so that these docs appear in the app's jump list.

Is it possible for me to specify an icon for each of the pinned docs? For example, each document is for a country and I'd like to have the country's flag as an icon for the pinned document.

Is it possible to do this?

Because it is a custom .EXE app, right now I'm not even getting the Word file icon but the icon that shows up when there is no icon for a file. Even if I were getting the Word icon, that still wouldn't help because what I want is to have a customized icon for each file that I have pinned to the app.

If you know of a way I can do this, please let me know.

Thanks!

A:Can I customize the icons of pinned files in a Jump List?

Seems like the only easy way is to use custom jump list creator. Like this one.
It is free, you unpin those 5 files, create a new jump list with this program and customize it as you want. It is free.

[Paragraph deleted.Correction here.]

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/163248-can-i-customize-icons-pinned-files-jump-list.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I was wonderign if there was a way so that, instead of a single-click action launching an application through a pinned taskbar icon, it can be double click. I notice that I try to keep apps off the pinned menu because I often accidentally click an icon that i wasn't supposed to, but a double click would eliminate that since double-clicking active applications does nothing. Is there a registry setting or custom feature I'm missing that can enable this?

A:double click functionality on pinned taskbar icons

Why not just make everything single click by turning on single click functionality in "folder options." You'll still get asked for confirmation for anything mildly dangerous such as "do you really want to send XYZ to the recycle bin."

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/34127-double-click-functionality-pinned-taskbar-icons.html
Relevancy 58.05%

hi is there a way to remover or at least a reg hack to remove tooltips over start button and pinned icons. ive already unchecked show pop-ups in the folder options and also set the show info registry entry to 0 but still hovering mouse over start button it shows the tooltip start and also explorer shows tooltip is there a way to remove just the taskbar tooltips or setting the time in the registry like to set it real high so i would never see them. vista was the same way tried everything to fix but still didn't work thanks

A:remove tooltips when hovering over start button and pinned icons

hi hangdawg, and welcome to sevenforums,

try this: Notifications - Enable or Disable Message Balloons

hope it helps, and let us know if it worked.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/148183-remove-tooltips-when-hovering-over-start-button-pinned-icons.html
Relevancy 58.05%

My thread title is: Pinned programs on task bar from bitlocker drive icons do not resolve
Oops. Should have been: Pinned program Icons on task bar from bitlocker drive programs do not resolve
----------------------

Hi. I am using Bitlocker for a laptop drive, which is very secure and works well.

The problem is that there are various programs that reside in that bitlocker locked drive. When I boot up my PC, these pinned program icons on my task bar are just plain vanilla (the drive that they are on - is bitlocked).

After putting in the key, the bitlocked drive unlocks, decrypts and all files are made accessible. The corresponding programs work and are fine, but the program task bar icons do not resolve to be the pretty program icon pictures I am used to. Instead they look like this (like the one circled):

A:Pinned programs on taskbar from bitlocker drive icons do not resolve

Logged onto Win7 and unlocked the bitlocked drive. This time all the program icons with programs residing in the bitlocked drive resolved themselves. We'll see it this trend continues. That would be good.

-------------

One strange thing is that I posted this same problem in a previous thread on Nov. 11, 2014 here in SevenForums. After a time, it was completely deleted, with no explanation as to why. Weird.

Well it looks like MS has been working on the problem since. That's a good thing.

Not marking it solved yet. I would like to see a trend of these resolving first.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/353099-pinned-programs-taskbar-bitlocker-drive-icons-do-not-resolve.html
Relevancy 57.62%

My laptop battery ran out and it must have shut itself down When I restarted the following symptoms appeared Taskbar icons left of the clock disappeared the taskbar changed from the standard task bar green start button blue bar to a plain gray bar with a gray start button if windows changed, missing icons has Taskbar and missing I right click on start gt properties gt taskbar tab gt customize - the icons do not match up with the descriptions for example the yahoo messenger icon has the description quot wireless network connection quot My Computer If I click Start then right click mycomputer gt properties I would expect to see a window Taskbar has changed, icons missing and windows missing with tabs quot general comp name hardware etc quot instead nothing appears My network places gt then View my network connections I would expect to see the network connections I have defined its blank I can t use my wireless connection because I can t see it to connect to Other than that all programs seem to be working fine I get to the internet using a hard LAN connection I don t even know where to start I have read many of the posts regarding taskbar problems but none seem to fit Any help greatly appreciated System Information I just tried to open the system information icon in the control panel to get the info to put here but nothing happens when I double click it I am running XP SP I am current on updates AVG Free tried uninstalling just in case

A:Taskbar has changed, icons missing and windows missing

I would try to do a system restore. Steps to perform that are found HERE

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/391036/taskbar-has-changed-icons-missing-and-windows-missing/
Relevancy 57.19%

I'm using Windows 7 RTM x64.

Everything was fine, however somewhat randomly the icons for two of my taskbar pinned apps (Word and Outlook 2007) aren't displaying correctly. Also they (along with Access 2007) are appearing incorrectly in the Start Menu, however when the Start Menu folder itself is opened in explorer they all display fine.

I've tried running the apps to see if that helps, I've tried resizing the taskbar icons to large, I've tried "repairing" Office 2007. I've logged off and on again, restarted the PC, and they're still not displaying correctly.

(http://www.deankellham.com/stuff/OfficeIcons.png)

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Dean

A:[SOLVED] Pinned taskbar icons not displaying correctly (also in Start Menu) &lt;see pict

I should add that the shortcuts still work both in the Start Menu and pinned on the Task Bar.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-pinned-taskbar-icons-not-displaying-correctly-also-in-start-menu-and-lt-see-pict-429169.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi I'm new here and not sure how to write one of the threads so here goes A few days ago all of my start menu items that I had pinned myself disappeared not the quot All Programs quot I have been trying several different things like -Deleting the quot StartMenu quot folder in the directory quot C Users Max AppData Roaming Microsoft Internet Explorer Quick Launch User Pinned quot for it to create a new one on it's own Of course it did but after i started to re-pin shortcuts again after a while they would all just vanish once again -Removing all pinned applications and re-pinning -Rebuilding Icon Cache -Scanning for Virus' -Using windows CMD quot sfc scannow quot -and a few others I can't remember This is starting to become a hassle getting around since I have become pinned all missing Menu aplications Start [W7] accustom to using all sorts of shortcuts to navigate around during computer usage If anyone has any ideas or solutions please help me out Thanks Screenshot http puu sh fYle bbb d eab PNG

A:[W7] Start Menu missing all pinned aplications

Hello TSRA, and welcome to Seven Forums.

It sounds like you Start menu pin to area may be corrupted since they keep vanishing. Use the tutorial below to reset your Start menu pin to area, then see if the items you pin stay afterwards.

Start Menu - Reset Pin To Area

If you like, you can use the tutorial below to be able to backup and restore your Start menu pin to area.

Start Menu - Backup and Restore Pinned Items in Windows 7

Hope this help for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/361485-w7-start-menu-missing-all-pinned-aplications.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi please review my logThanks in advance Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system csrss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx Pinned Computer, Missing Slow Programs And exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Slow Computer, And Pinned Programs Missing Files TGTSoft StyleXP Slow Computer, And Pinned Programs Missing StyleXPService exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exeC PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exeC Program Files CursorXP CursorXP exeC Program Files a-squared a guard exeC Program Files TGTSoft StyleXP StyleXP exeC Program Files Alwil Software Avast aswUpdSv exeC Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashServ exeC PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exeC PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exeC PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgemc exeC Program Files ewido anti-malware ewidoctrl exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exeC Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashMaiSv exeC Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashWebSv exeC WINDOWS System alg exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system wuauclt exeC WINDOWS system DllHost exeC Program Files Windows Media Player wmplayer exeC Program Files IceChat IceChat exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http us rd yahoo com customize ie defaul rch search htmlR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default http us rd yahoo com customize ie defaul www yahoo comR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title N e T E x P l O r E r O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dllO - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dllO - HKLM Run Zone Labs Client C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exeO - HKLM Run avast C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exeO - HKCU Run CursorXP C Program Files CursorXP CursorXP exeO - HKCU Run Yahoo Pager quot C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YahooMessenger exe quot -quietO - HKCU Run a-squared quot C Program Files a-squared a guard exe quot O - HKCU Run msnmsgr quot C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe quot backgroundO - HKCU Run STYLEXP C Program Files TGTSoft StyleXP StyleXP exe -HideO - Extra context menu item amp Google Search - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmsearch htmlO - Extra context menu item amp Translate English Word - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmwordtrans htmlO - Extra context menu item amp Yahoo Search - file C Program Files Yahoo Common ycsrch htmO - Extra context menu item Backward Links - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmbacklinks htmlO - Extra context menu item Cached Snapshot of Page - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmcache htmlO - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS OFFICE EXCEL EXE O - Extra context menu item Similar Pages - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmsimilar htmlO - Extra context menu item Translate Page into English - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmtrans htmlO - Extra context menu item Yahoo amp Dictionary - file C Program Files Yahoo Common ycdict htmO - Extra context menu item Yahoo amp Maps - file C Program Files Yahoo Common ycmap htmO - Extra context menu item Yahoo amp SMS - file C Program Files Yahoo Common ycsms htmO - Plugin for spop C Program Files Internet Explorer Plugins NPDocBox dllO - DPF BF B-D - B - -ECA D F F Flatcast Viewer - http www fla... Read more

A:Slow Computer, And Pinned Programs Missing

Since this issue was resolved elsewhere, this Topic is now closed.If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending mea PM with the address of the thread using the link here. This applies only to the original topic starter.Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/55760/slow-computer-and-pinned-programs-missing/
Relevancy 56.33%

Morning: I have yet another client who has a Dell Inspiron AMD dual core cpu ,1 gig of ram. Her son didn't register the XP that came on the computer, now it wont boot. I got the Upgrade Vista basic disk to come up going into bois and selecting boot from cd-rom. Will the above pinned method of doing a clean install still work??

A:pinned: Upgrade disk clean install

hi,,, have a read of thishttp://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvi...grade_clean.aspnever tried it and would not like too,,,,, i wonder if you could clean install with a full vista disc using the upgrade product key ???

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/271815/pinned-upgrade-disk-clean-install/
Relevancy 55.9%

I pinned my company's Gmail account to the Chrome's taskbar place, but it has one of those icons Windows puts when it somehow fails to get the proper icon.

I tried to fix that going to the pinned icon/shortcut properties, but the options on the context menu (right click, right click + Shift, or right click + Crtl) are limited to Open and Unpin from this list.

I want to put the Gmail icon there. Any idea how?

TIA.

A:Pinned Gmail account missing icon (Chrome)

Unpin it then go to the site and close the site after it loads then right click Chrome recent places and pin.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/282817-pinned-gmail-account-missing-icon-chrome.html
Relevancy 55.9%

The Catalyst Control Centre Which Has Various Pinned Applications LikeDesktop and Display, Gaming, Video, are missing in my CCC.Only Video Is PRESENT.

Till Yesterday It was There but all of sudden they are not anyore in my catalyst control centre.FOR UR BETTER UNDERSTANDINGS, I HAVE UPLOADED TWO PICTURES.
please help me guys.i am expecting help from u all.

THANKS

A:Pinned Programs-Catalyst Control Centre(missing)

It's bloatware that's not needed unless your overclocking or need a setting only it provides. I would uninstall it before it starts causing serious issues instead of just bugging you. You only need the driver.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/265081-pinned-programs-catalyst-control-centre-missing.html
Relevancy 55.9%

((why give me space for a title that is bigger than the number of characters I am allowed to enter?))

I finally took the leap last week and installed a new HD and installed win8 64bit on it. I've been using it and accessing my old apps on my vista drive as well. Today Windows encouraged me to upgrade to Win 8.1, which I did. Now, all the stuff I painstakingly pinned to my taskbar is gone. I have tried to repin it but it says it is already pinned. I have unpinned and repinned, but it still does not show up. In addition, the clock is missing.

I'd really like the use of that desktop/taskbar back. Any ideas?

A:Items pinned to taskbar and clock are missing after upgrad

To get the clock back:

notification area - How do I restore the tray clock in Windows 7? - Super User

For pinned items, try opening the program & right click the icon for it in the taskbar & choose pin to taskbar.

A picture:

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/42500-items-pinned-taskbar-clock-missing-after-upgrad.html
Relevancy 55.04%

My File Explorer is already pinned to the Taskbar.  When I right click a File Explorer button on the Taskbar, I get the following:

There is a Pinned list and a Frequent list.  Folders in the Frequent list can be easily pinned to the Pinned list.
I have been waiting for a month for a folder that I want (D:\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects) to appear in the Frequent list but my wait has so far been futile.
How do I put a specific folder I want (that is not in the Frequent list) onto the Pinned list?  Is the configuration stored somewhere in $env:AppData?
Thanks.

A:How to pin a folder to the pinned File Explorer pinned list?

Drag and drop the folder to your taskbar and it will show as being pinned under File Explorer.Don't forget to mark your posts as answered so they drop off the unanswered post filter. If I've helped you and you want to show your gratitude, just click that green thingy.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ac50ecfb-cc7f-4991-8bcf-bafe5404f665/how-to-pin-a-folder-to-the-pinned-file-explorer-pinned-list?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi all
(I'm italian, excuse me for my bad english).
I have a pc with windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I have a problem with some icons on taskbar: sometimes some applications are displaying the wrong icons, sometimes, as you can see (screenshot), I don't see some icons: sometimes a few are missing (this time I have 8 icons of about 20!).

If I restart my pc, some icons return, but many still missing or are wrong!

So I launched this tool from microsof (I think it rebuilt icon cache, but I'm not sure): In Windows le icone vengono modificate in modo non corretto
but it doesnt' fix the problem, see this screenshot after using this tool from microsoft:

now as you can see some applications are displaying the wrong icons and 2 icons are still missing ...is there any fix for this problem? thanks!!

Vittorio.

A:problem with icons on taskbar (wrong icons or missing icons)

perhaps the fixit from microsoft may help...

System icons do not appear in the notification area in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 until you restart the computer

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/283833-problem-icons-taskbar-wrong-icons-missing-icons.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Dear Friends,

Few of our users are facing issues with pinning applications on taskbar.pinned applications are getting removed from taskbar after a reboot.

They are using Dell laptop with windows 8.1 OS.

Anyone have experienced this issue before? please help by sharing your thoughts on this...

A:Pinned application are not staying pinned on taskbar.

Windows 8 provides the "Disable Pinning Programs to Taskbar in Windows 8" option. If someone has selected the "Enable" option then you can't pin any program to the Taskbar.

Disable it.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/pinned-application-are-not-staying-pinned-on-taskbar.4070330/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hello,

yesterday i installed a new update for my computer, its the one that pops up as a yellow shield in your lower right hand taskbar. Anyways i instaleld like always and then forgot about it. I worked for a while later and kept ignoring the "you must restart your computer now" messages. Finally i restarted the computer and on my desktop, start menu, and in any window i open, the folder icons and some other program icons are shown as the find icon. Is there any way i could fix this. Picture below.

nardopolo

Relevancy 52.89%

Hello ! I just saw thats some icons in my win 8.1 are missing or are shown with an unexpected way...please take a look and let me know what you think please..

http://s7.postimg.org/jtwhrkd7v/Untitled_2.jpg

http://s12.postimg.org/dn82i3yn1/Untitled_2b.jpg

is there any way to fix it ?

thanx in advance

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-8-1-missing-icons.1157707/
Relevancy 52.89%

Well I've got a rather extreme problem on my hands I know missing icons isn't much but it's a big deal when I can't even get on to my computer What I mean by this is that every single time I boot up now my user picture and the box to type my password just never show up I know the computer hasn't frozen because I can very easily move the mouse around the screen and everything else on the login has loaded fine Some icons were also missing too like I said One strange missing one is the blue circle that shows something is loading It appears beside my mouse but it does not appear beside the words quot Shutting down quot on the log in screen like it usually would I'm pretty scared for my computer and I don't know what to do I think I should also mention that I have tried icons in Several such and missing Windows 7 to boot into safe mode my computer has no such option I can press Several icons and such missing in Windows 7 f or f as it boots up yet booting in safe mode isn't on either of the lists that Several icons and such missing in Windows 7 are shown when I do press those keys One very important is that I did edit the imageres dll file to make the startup sound different Several icons and such missing in Windows 7 and I don't think I should have I only rebooted successfully twice after editing that file and then his happened I should also mention that I do NOT have the Windows installation disc My computer came pre-installed with it Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post I just got a blue screen on my computer with the error after posting this and when I booted into safe mode after being given that option I had the exact same problem There's no login information

A:Several icons and such missing in Windows 7

Hi for safe mode you tap F8 on booting you could try system restore from there, or if you have a install or recovery disc you can try tapping F2 on booting and enter the bios and change the boot order to the cd\dvd drive as first boot device, put the disc in the drive then use F10 to save and exit and boot from the disc then run a repair
Startup Repair - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/several-icons-and-such-missing-in-windows-7-a-635608.html
Relevancy 52.89%

hi guys i really could use some help here-my icons have suddenly all become one GENERIC format as seen in the screenshot taken. I dont know how this could possibly have happened, i have tried doing a system restore but to NO avail. As you can see even the folders on the desktop have been changed to generic formats.However when i view it in windows itself as, in when i choose files within a minimized window, i still can see the icons

Could anyone please advise what possible this problem is?i'd really appreciate it..! And if there is any way to remedy it now.

THANK YOU

A:Help! Icons Missing in windows XP!

Hi triste:

I know this works with older OS's but I've never had to try it with XP. I can't see that it would do any harm to give it a try. Let us know if anything happens.
Max

Re-create the ShellIconCache file. This file is re-created automatically when you change your display's color depth. Follow these steps to change your display's color depth to a new setting and then change it back to the original setting:1. Right-click the desktop and then click Properties.
2. Click the Settings tab.
3. Change the color depth from the current setting to a new setting. For example, change from Highest (32 bit) to Lowest (16 bit).
4. Click Apply, and then click Yes to accept the changes.
5. Change the color depth back to its original setting.
6. Click Apply, and then click Yes to accept the changes.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-icons-missing-in-windows-xp.439908/
Relevancy 52.89%

Thanks for any help.

I know the show icons trick under preferences.... this is a bit different.

I have 5-6 icons on my desktop but all my data that was on the desktop has gone missing, my hard drive still had roughly the same amount of use so I know the files are not erased. But the files and the links to them are missing..... They dont exist under my user profile on the C: or anywhere i can find. It says the files are missing.

Odd side note..... McAfee is asking me to "renew my subscription" at the same time which has me concerned this is some weird scam which I dont want to pay for.

Thanks
M

A:Windows 7 icons missing

Run a scan of Malwarebytes

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/124964-windows-7-icons-missing.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello Our computer is relatively new and we just had in freezes and windows sometimes missing icons our dsl installed at home Ever since system bagan slowing down missing icons in windows and sometimes freezes and some icons in windows are missing Please help Thank you ANALYSIS - - PROTECTIONS MALWARE SUSPECTS PROTECTIONS Description Version Active Updated AVG Anti-Virus Yes Yes MALWARE Id Description Type Active Severity Disinfectable Disinfected Location Cookie Doubleclick TrackingCookie No Yes No D Ley Personal Data My Folders Desktop Firefox profile Firefox en-US - - - pcv cookies txt doubleclick net Cookie Atlas DMT TrackingCookie No Yes No D Ley Personal Data My Folders Desktop Firefox profile Firefox en-US - - - pcv cookies txt atdmt com Cookie FastClick TrackingCookie No Yes No D Ley Personal Data My Folders Desktop Firefox profile Firefox en-US - - - pcv cookies txt fastclick net Cookie FastClick TrackingCookie No missing icons in windows and sometimes freezes Yes No D Ley Personal Data My Folders Desktop Firefox profile Firefox en-US - - - pcv cookies txt fastclick net Cookie FastClick TrackingCookie No Yes No D Ley Personal Data My Folders Desktop Firefox profile Firefox en-US - - - pcv cookies txt fastclick net Cookie Mediaplex TrackingCookie No Yes No D Ley Personal Data My Folders Desktop Firefox profile Firefox en-US - - - pcv cookies txt mediaplex com Cookie Com com TrackingCookie No Yes No D Ley Personal Data My Folders Desktop Firefox profile Firefox en-US - - - pcv cookies txt com com Cookie YieldManager TrackingCookie No Yes No D Ley Personal Data My Folders Desktop Firefox profile Firefox en-US - - - pcv cookies txt ad yieldmanager com Cookie YieldManager TrackingCookie No Yes No D Ley Personal Data My Folders Desktop Firefox profile Firefox en-US - - - pcv cookies txt ad yieldmanager com Cookie YieldManager TrackingCookie No Yes No D Ley Personal Data My Folders Desktop Firefox profile Firefox en-US - - - pcv cookies txt ad yieldmanager com Cookie YieldManager TrackingCookie No Yes No D Ley Personal Data My Folders Desktop Firefox profile Firefox en-US - - - pcv cookies txt ad yieldmanager com Cookie YieldManager TrackingCookie No Yes No D Ley Personal Data My Folders Desktop Firefox profile Firefox en-US - - - pcv cookies txt ad yieldmanager com Cookie Apmebf TrackingCookie No Yes No D Ley Personal Data My Folders Desktop Firefox profile Firefox en-US - - - pcv cookies txt apmebf com SUSPECTS Sent Location T VULNERABILITIES Id Severity Description T HIGH MS - T HIGH MS - T HIGH MS - T HIGH MS - T HIGH MS - T HIGH MS - T HIGH MS - T HIGH MS - T Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C WINDOWS ATKKBService exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgfws exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system Tablet exe C WINDOWS system WTablet TabUserW exe C WINDOWS system Tablet exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgam exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgnsx exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C PROGRA AVG AVG aAvgApi exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgui exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgtray exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink Li... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/missing-icons-in-windows-and-sometimes-freezes-280744.html
Relevancy 52.46%

*****seems to have fixed itself.. made new restore point on computer***** when starting up my computer the computer would not boot up properly. I would go to the windows desktop and all the icon's, start button, clock are missing, Having to do hard shut down several times an logging into safe mode. I had malware bytes installed and is now missing in program files. I have downloaded the DDS file to desktop and ran it. Once I hit run it closes and does not give me an option to save a log file.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/473759/missing-desktop-icons-using-windows-xp/
Relevancy 52.46%

Upon Windows XP start up only my wallpaper shows There are no icons no task bar no start menu nothing just a blank screen other than my wallpaper When use control alt delete I am able to pull up the task manager However when I start a new task called explorer exe this does not bring up my taskbar or icons although I do see the taskbar flash visibly for half a second then disappear I tried this solution Just to let everyone know While surfing through the internet I found someone who solved this problem and has a way to fix it There are registry keys in the registry that are causing the problem It affects the explorer exe and iexplorer exe files This is the key that needs to be deleted HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Image File Execution Options explorer exeHKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Image File Execution in missing XP Windows Icons Taskbar and Options Icons and Taskbar missing in Windows XP iexplorer exeOnce these keys are deleted the desktop and internet explorer should come back to life I have gone to the registry and looked for quot explorer Icons and Taskbar missing in Windows XP exe quot and quot iexplorer exe quot in the place specified and found Icons and Taskbar missing in Windows XP neither of those keys I also tried this fix Go to regedit and set HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Winlogon quot Shell quot quot explorer exe quot but the value of the shell already contained quot explorer exe quot I received a message earlier that some files that Windows needs to run were missing damaged so I ran the repair install from my windows xp home CD I have also downloaded and installed several virus programs and run them They did find a delete several viruses and trojans but I still have the same problem This virus is also blocking some of the major antivirus antispyware websites I have been visiting however I have been able to download them via download com since that website does not seem to be blocked When I do install several of the antivirus applications the virus does not allow me to download updated definition files I downloaded HijackThis but whenever I tried to open it and install it after download I'll click HJTInstall exe and it will come up asking me if I would like to run it When I click quot Run quot the window goes away and nothing happens I assume the trojan recognizes the name of this program After downloading HJTInstall exe I went into the Task Manager and started a new task then clicked Browse I went to the desktop where my HijackThis installer was located I then changed the name from HJTInstall exe to some nonsense word like hlep exe Then I was able to run the installer and start HijackThis As an extra precaution I also changed the name of the folder directory in which it installed Example C Program Files hlep instead of C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThisI was able to generate a logfile but could not figure out how to get it off this computer I tried Yahoo mail Gmail yahoo briefcase google docs blogs and my local network -- all different attempts to move the HijackThis log onto another computer but none of them worked I also tried the following solution Microsoft TechNet Forums - vundo trojanhttp social technet microsoft com forums - f f d Hello If you are experiencing the problems named in the topic thread you may be losing your patience and mind by now I picked up this trojan days ago and it has taken me one re-install and that long to fix it Forget the advice from symantec and microsoft - the vundo removers do not work The answer is to install and run 'superantispyware' - this spotted vundo varients immediately removed them and all if working fine I was able to download and install SuperAntiSpyware and manually update the definitions file but I still have the same problem I did delete a file called shmgrate exe from Windows System This file was listed on a Norton webpage as part of the Backdoor Gaster worm ... Read more

A:Icons and Taskbar missing in Windows XP

I don't seem to be able to upload and attach the Attach.txt file, although I do have it available if necessary.

OH! I think it worked this time!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/190834/icons-and-taskbar-missing-in-windows-xp/
Relevancy 52.46%

Icons and start menu lost on my windows XP PC. I can only open a site through Task Manager. Tried several times to restart computer but icons did not appear.

A:I have windows xp desktop icons missing

Backup all your files (which should really be already backed up) then re-install XP or run factory recovery which does the same thing.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/i-have-windows-xp-desktop-icons-missing/203152.html
Relevancy 52.46%

ok so i have noticed that with applications that require an install theres no icon its just the default missing icon file as shown in the attatchment below.
can anyone help me or is it meant to be like that?

A:File icons missing in windows 7

This is the same in my computer, too. Though I've not noticed it earlier

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/66699-file-icons-missing-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 52.46%

hi Yesterday I changed ISP I am on dial up and everything seemed fine Today I started up my computer and it started up as normal until it got to the windows desktop where none of the shortcuts appeared - I just had the background pic I had chosen and the taskbar At the bottom right of the screen is it called the tray - its where it shows the time there was a yellow exclamation help - - windows icons missing spyware mark warning sign and a bubble saying that spyware has been detected and help - spyware - windows icons missing to click there When I clicked there my shortcut icons appeared but my background windows picture dissappeared and I was left with a black screen and a big message which looked like some spyware saying danger your computer is at risk etc when I tried to close this my dial up trys to connect itself and internet pages advertising things appear even though I am not connected - think I had a message saying cannot find a modem Also the dial up is saying that different programs have requested access to the internet all the time I run adaware help - spyware - windows icons missing and it found items which I deleted I restarted the computer but the same thing is happening I am writing this message on a different computer now as I don t want to connect with my computer in case it is using a dialler don t even know if it will connect yet as I haven t tried it - I haven t that much knowledge about computers or this type of thing Can anyone help please Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 52.46%

Adobe Missing Icons
I just installed Adobe Master Collection CS5 on my work PC and some of the icons are missing. I don't know if this is simply a problem with Adobe CS5 or whether or not this happens for other programs on Windows 7. Any help would be appreciated.

certain programs are missing their icon entirely and this is reflected when the program is open in the taskbar. It doesn't necessarily break anything, but it is an ugly eyesore. I tried reinstalling it once, but it didn't make a difference.

A:Adobe missing icons in windows 7

My first question is how did you install it?

Did you run it with our without using the "Run As: Admin"

Where are the Icons missing from? The Desktop? The programs menu in the start button?

Is it possible that The Vew Desktop Icons is not turned on? if so this can be done by right clicking and going to view then view desktop icons.

Cheers,

Thawee

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adobe-missing-icons-in-windows-7.936699/
Relevancy 52.46%

Some of the pinned items in my taskbar show "(2)" when I hold right click down or hoover my cursor over the pinned item. How do I fix this (delete the "(2)")?

A:Some Pinned Icons in Taskbar show "(2)"

Hello Rextz101,

You might see if you may get lucky and unpinning and repinning them may help.

If not, then you could use the tutorial below to reset and clear all pinned items on the taskbar. That should fix it for you, but you'll need to manually repin them all again.

Taskbar Pinned Items - Reset and Clear in Windows 7

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/241610-some-pinned-icons-taskbar-show-2-a.html
Relevancy 51.6%

This seems to be new problem computer is Dell XPS and has card reader on front panel Until recently Computer showed Hard Disk Drive OS C and DVD RW Drive D It also showed each of the card reader connections with Drive letters even with nothing plugged into them Now computer is only showing the Hard Drive C and the DVD Drive D none of the card reader connections are shown I found in control panel Folders view where can make check to show or hide empty disk drives I have it unchecked for not to hide tried check hide and unhide with restart after each change and has no effect Am 64 7 bit icons missing Computer Windows in Professional I looking in Windows 7 64 bit Professional missing icons in Computer the wrong area to correct problem as when plug in like a digital cameria memory card it comes up displayed and works ok When remove the memory card the drive disappears This may have occurred after Windows repair disk was completed Can someone give me some ideas on how to correct Thank you

A:Windows 7 64 bit Professional missing icons in Computer

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2670504https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2670504

Hope this FAQ can help you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/578330/windows-7-64-bit-professional-missing-icons-in-computer/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello,

My knowledge of computers is basically limited to internet searching

I have an issue, last night I downloaded several "custom desktop icons" from a site and replaced several of my programs icons with custom ones. Today when I started up my laptop every program that I gave a custom icon has now changed to a missing or default icon. I cannot seem to get the default icons back.

I would be happy if I got to keep those custom icons but will be satisfied if I can just return them to their default. Any ideas?

Thanks

A:Windows 7 custom desktop icons missing

Welcome to the Seven Forums

1st
Try Icon Cache - Rebuild

If that did not work try Option 2 of this tutorial. It may reset your icons SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker it will not harm any data or programs you have installed it will try to find and repair any corrupt system files that you have. You may need to do this up to 3 times and reboot after each scan.
You may need to rebuild the icon cache after the scan.
Jerry

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/256780-windows-7-custom-desktop-icons-missing.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Left computer for minutes to return and find all my desktop icons are missing icons/programs missing pop up, Windows Restore and a window called WindowsRESTORE open and imaginarily scanning and alerting me of numerous problems Windows Restore pop up, icons/programs missing All programs are missing in start menu The c drive shows nothing but folder called wCFix with no contents Cntrol alt delete disabled unless pressed and kept open upon start up Won t let me update or reinstall Malwarebytes even in safe mode System restore tells me acess is deniedgoogle and bing results redirectsI ended Two strange processes listed below that helped stop some of the error pop up messages and the windowsRESTORE window which allowed me to acctually work with the machine NYddtujQJSPOp Windows Restore pop up, icons/programs missing exe exeHere is DDS DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Brian Healy at on Wed Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT - Windows Restore pop up, icons/programs missing AV Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition Enabled Updated FB E- B - A- F -E D C Running Processes svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcsC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunchC WINDOWS system svchost exe -k WudfServiceGroupsvchost exesvchost exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exeC WINDOWS System WLTRYSVC EXEC WINDOWS System bcmwltry exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exesvchost exeC Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exeC Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exeC Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software bin btwdins exeC Program Files Common Files Creative Labs Shared Service CreativeLicensing exeC WINDOWS system CTsvcCDA exeC Program Files Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exeC WINDOWS eHome ehRecvr exeC WINDOWS eHome ehSched exeC Program Files Java jre bin jqs exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXEC Program Files Microsoft SQL Server MSSQL MICROSOFTSMLBIZ Binn sqlservr exeC Program Files Dell QuickSet NICCONFIGSVC exeC WINDOWS system HPZipm exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exeC WINDOWS system WLTRAY exeC WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exeC PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exeC Program Files Adobe Reader Reader Reader sl exeC Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exeC Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC WINDOWS system taskmgr exesvchost exeC WINDOWS system svchost exe -k imgsvcc program files safeconnect Uninstall exeC Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exeC WINDOWS system wuauclt exeC WINDOWS system wuauclt exeC Program Files internet explorer iexplore exeC WINDOWS system dllhost exeC Program Files iPod bin iPodService exeC WINDOWS System svchost exe -k HTTPFilterC Documents and Settings Brian Healy Local Settings Temporary Internet Files Content IE W NOOSP dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp www google com ig dell hl en amp client dell-usuk amp channel usuSearchMigratedDefaultURL hxxp www google com search q searchTerms amp sourceid ie amp rls com microsoft en-US amp ie utf amp oe utf uInternet Connection Wizard ShellNext iexploreuInternet Settings ProxyOverride localuSearchAssistant hxxp www google com ieuSearchURL Default hxxp www google com search q sBHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper e f-c d - d -b d- b d be b - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelper dllBHO Adobe PDF Link Helper df c-e ad- -a -fa c ebdc - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelperShim dllBHO CA F - F E- B -A E- E E C C - No FileBHO DriveLetterAccess ca d e- - cf- e - - c windows system dla tfswshx dllBHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - c - d -b f - bbc d a e - c program files microsoft office office GrooveShellExtensions dllBHO Ado... Read more

A:Windows Restore pop up, icons/programs missing

Hello and welcome to the forums!My secret agent name on the forums is SweetTech (you can call me ST for short), it's a pleasure to meet you. I am very sorry for the delay in responding, but as you can see we are at the moment being flooded with logs which, when paired with the never-ending shortage of helpers, resulted in the delayed responding to your thread.I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems.If you have since resolved the issues you were originally experiencing, or have received help elsewhere, please inform me so that this topic can be closed. If you have not, please adhere to the guidelines below and then follow instructions as outlined further below:Logs from malware removal programs (OTL is one of them) can take some time to analyze. I need you to be patient while I analyze any logs you post. Please remember, I am a volunteer, and I do have a life outside of these forums.
Please make sure to carefully read any instruction that I give you. Attention to detail is important! Since I cannot see or directly interact with your computer I am dependent on you to "be my eyes" and provide as much information as you can regarding the current state of your computer.
If you're not sure, or if something unexpected happens, do NOT continue! Stop and ask!
In Windows Vista and Windows 7, all tools need to be started by right clicking and selecting Run as Administrator!
Do not do things I do not ask for, such as running a spyware scan on your computer. The one thing that you should always do, is to make sure sure that your anti-virus definitions are up-to-date!
Please do not use the Attachment feature for any log file. Do a Copy/Paste of the entire contents of the log file and submit it inside your post.
I am going to stick with you until ALL malware is gone from your system. I would appreciate it if you would do the same. From this point, we're in this together ;)
Because of this, you must reply within three days failure to reply will result in the topic being closed!
Please do not PM me directly for help. If you have any questions, post them in this topic.
Lastly, I am no magician. I will try very hard to fix your issues, but no promises can be made. Also be aware that some infections are so severe that you might need to resort to reformatting and reinstalling your operating system.
Don't worry, this only happens in severe cases, but it sadly does happen. Be prepared to back up your data. Have means of backing up your data available.____________________________________________________Rootkit UnHooker (RkU)Please download Rootkit Unhooker from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.Link 1 (.exe file)Link 2 (zipped file)Link 3 (.rar file)In order to use this tool if you downloaded from either of the second two links, you will need to extract the RKUnhookerLE.exe file using a program capable of extracing ZIP and RAR compressed files. If you don't have an extraction program, you can downlaod, install and use the free 7-zip utility.Double-click on RKUnhookerLE.exe to start the program.
Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.Click the Report tab, then click Scan.Check Drivers, Stealth, and uncheck the rest.Click OK.Wait until it's finished and then go to File > Save Report.Save the report to your Desktop.Copy and paste the contents of the report into your next reply.-- Note: You may get this warning...just ignore it, click OK and continue: "Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself! It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?".NEXT:Running OTLWe need to create an OTL ReportPlease download OTL from one of the following mirrors:This is THE MirrorSave it to your desktop.Double click on the icon on your desktop.Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.Push the button.Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply her... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/389555/windows-restore-pop-up-iconsprograms-missing/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello,

After a recent update , many of my applications show blank files or default application icons. This includes Skype, Office and VLC media player; as of yet I am unable to find what links these applications:
From searching online, I have discovered that this is not a new issue, however previous solutions have not resolved the problem for me:
Windows 10 - Blank start menu icons - Super User
This did not do anything.SOLVED: blank/white paper icons Win7, after IconPackager uninstallation Forum Post by SparticusX
I didn't have this subkey in the registry, so I couldn't delete it.Icon Cache - Rebuild in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
This did not do anything either.
If someone could identify the update package that caused this, I would be grateful. Fighting off updates generally isn't a great idea so if anyone could provide a way of fixing this through other means, that'd be great.

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

A:Icons Blank/Missing After Windows Update

Hey DanielDC88-

You might want to check the "Default App" for the respective file types and see if they need to be assigned again.

PC Settings > System > Default Apps > Scroll down and click on "Choose Default Apps By File Type."

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/39350-icons-blank-missing-after-windows-update.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello I am posting by using an friend s PC At startup my PC sometimes doesn t display any Icons and the taskbar is absent Desktop and Taskbar XP Windows Icons missing Also Right-Click doesn t work Usually by restarting my PC a few times it works Unfortunately today i restarted it around times Windows XP Desktop Icons and Taskbar missing and its still the same problem Don t worry I have enough brain to google my situation But unfortunately none of the solutions worked for me This is what I tried and none of them works Open up Task Manager- gt Process Tab- gt select explorer exe - gt End Process- gt File- gt New Task- gt explorer exe Enter Safe Mode and use the Windows System Restore to an older date Note The desktop Windows XP Desktop Icons and Taskbar missing here and Taskbar works fine in Safe Mode But since Safe Mode is limited I doesn t help me to use it Windows XP Desktop Icons and Taskbar missing as default duh Create a new User for the PC Note Desktop icons and Taskbar doesn t show up This doesn t work because it gets stuck at adding some preferences when starting It just gets stuck to an non responding state And if I end the application explorer exe shuts down too Also if I open up explorer exe this application comes and gets stuck again Copy and Paste explorer exe into the WINDOWS folder then rename it into explorer exe- gt new task on the Task Manager- gt regedit exe- gt after some paths edit the Shell thing from Explorer exe to Explorer exe quot option Note the explorer exe process is changed to explorer exe but it has the same effect Copy the explorer exe file from another PC and use it to the broken PC Additional Notes to my problem a I cannot open any folder using commands My Computer WINDOWS folder etc This will just bring another explorer exe next to the other one then nothing happens b I can open an browser but it says that I don t have internet for some reason c Control Panel doesn t open using the command Control exe but its features Add Remove Programs System Properties etc work fine by opening using commands d I repeat this is an old problem but restarting the PC a few times fixed it This is an urgent problem I need the PC fixed as soon as possible I would prefer to not format my PC So are there any other solutions beside this Thank you for your time reading OS I m using Windows XP Home Edition SP P S I am not an native English speaker so please excuse my bad grammar nbsp

A:Windows XP Desktop Icons and Taskbar missing

Try Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar.

Download the .vbs file and save it to your hard drive.

Double-click the .vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-desktop-icons-and-taskbar-missing.1058260/
Relevancy 51.6%

I'll start by saying that I am not computer literate.  When I click my start button I can no longer see any programs and the only item now on my taskbar is my file folder.  This first happened after the last Windows update 10/2/16.  I restored the computer to a prior date and all was fine until ? it updated again?  Virus?Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/628465/windows-10-all-programs-and-taskbar-icons-missing/
Relevancy 51.6%

I just did a clean reinstall of Windows 7 (from a restore partition) on my HP Envy 14 Laptop. Everything is working fine, bu icons are missing in Windows Explorer. See attached PDF.

All service packs, including SP1, have been installed.

I would greatly appreciate some advice on how to get the original icons back in place.

Thanks to all.

Doug

A:Icons Missing in Win7 Windows Explorer

Hello Doug,

You might see if rebuilding the icon cache may be able to help if it's just corrupted.

Hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/293875-icons-missing-win7-windows-explorer.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Greetings, Windows 8 users.

I have a problem. This is happened after I transferred fonts from old Windows 7 folder to the current Windows 8 font folder. The icons on the AppBar is missing and left with 2 or 3 boxed-characters (unknown fonts).

This is a proof that AppBar icons are missing:

Do you have any idea to recover the AppBar icons into normal?

A:How to recover missing AppBar icons in Windows 8.1

Symbol Font is missing in your PC. Download the attachement, extract and right click on the file and select install.

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/53404-how-recover-missing-appbar-icons-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hey there I just upgraded to windows i just bought the upgrade from the microsoft website After installing the upgrade I noticed that I was missing ALL the Metro Tiles basic ICONS ie windows Missing Metro Icons windows all basic 8 app store internet explorer mail maps messaging music news people Missing all windows 8 basic Metro Icons photos reader travel video ETC PLEASE check the attached JPGs YOu will notice the empty tiles in the Metro UI ALSO if i go to Default Programs you will also see that Missing all windows 8 basic Metro Icons Icons are missing there as well It's as if windows has no clue where to find the icons or windows never installed them Any way to fix this I've rebooted a bunch of time I tried doing a sfc scan or whatever the name Missing all windows 8 basic Metro Icons is It said it found some corrupt files and fixed them I rebooted again but still no icons are showing up As much as POssible I do not want to do a fresh install or a refresh I also have no restore points prior because well its always been like this ever since it finished installing clicking the empty tiles work It starts the application Problem is I have no clue which tile is what I would really appreciate some help I'm disappointed that it didnt install properly for whatever reason Quite annoying THANKS in advance

A:Missing all windows 8 basic Metro Icons

Hey sgtfrog,

I am having the exact same issue. Tried updating graphics drivers and removing and readding the tiles.

No joy... I'll let you know if I find a solution.

Ben

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/10473-missing-all-windows-8-basic-metro-icons.html
Relevancy 51.6%

hello to all the boys are pleased to be part of the forum ..... I have a problem I can not see more in the icon bar of the start screen of my windows 8.1 tried to explain to a previous restore point but without result ..... I do not want to reformat everything ... thank you in advance and if anyone willing to help me (sorry for my english)

A:start screen windows 8.1 bar icons missing

I think it's normal. I don't have it either.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/43245-start-screen-windows-8-1-bar-icons-missing.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Can t access Outlook times out of ten the desktop is blank when the computer starts no icons anywhere just the desktop background When it does start sometimes it says can t find a drive on the network I don t think we have that A secure financial website says we have a on by No missing clock hijack start desktop, this icons posted icons virus but I ve run spybot and adaware and not No icons on desktop, start icons missing by clock hijack this posted found anything We have eTrust antivirus and it showed no problems Please help Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer No icons on desktop, start icons missing by clock hijack this posted v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Cisco Systems VPN Client cvpnd exe C Program Files CA eTrust Antivirus InoRpc exe C Program Files CA eTrust Antivirus InoRT exe C Program Files CA eTrust Antivirus InoTask exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system UAService exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files HP hpcoretech hpcmpmgr exe C PROGRA CA ETRUST realmon exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader reader sl exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqgalry exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www comcast net comcast html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run HP Component Manager quot C Program Files HP hpcoretech hpcmpmgr exe quot O - HKLM Run Realtime Monitor C PROGRA CA ETRUST realmon exe -s O - HKLM Run ATIPTA C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe O - HKCU Run igndlm exe C Program Files IGN Download Manager dlm exe windowsstart startifwork O - HKCU Run swg C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe O - Global Startup Adobe Reader Speed Launch lnk C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader reader sl exe O - Global Startup HP Digital Imaging Monitor lnk C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exe O - Global Startup HP Image Zone Fast Start lnk C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqthb exe O - Extra button no name - DFB A - F - C -A - CAB FD A - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - Extra Tools menuitem Spybot - Search amp amp Destroy Configuration - DFB A - F - C -A - CAB FD A - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - Extra button no name - e e dd -d - - b -f ba - C WINDOWS Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe O - Extra Tools menuitem xpsp res dll - - e e dd -d - - b -f ba - C WINDOWS Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe O - Extra button Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - Extra Tools menuitem Windows Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - Plugin for spop C Program Files Internet Explorer Plugins NPDocBox dll O - DPF -C A- E-A -C C BBF Windows G... Read more

Relevancy 51.17%

im having problems with my computer its nothing serious its just annoying and i want to fix it. the icons on the right side of the Start menu are now shown as folders and not the fancy one and i miss that, i was wondering if i can change them back? this all started a few days ago i think i caused it by doing something with CMD and some files showed up and i was deleting alot of them cause they looked like they were unnessasary, i think i deleted something that shouldnt of been deleted. now im just trying to figure out how to fix it with using system restore because i dont have the a restore point to fix that problem my restore points are deleted. does any one know what i can do.

A:Missing icons in start menu (icons on the right hand side)

Originally Posted by raitoyagami

im having problems with my computer its nothing serious its just annoying and i want to fix it. the icons on the right side of the Start menu are now shown as folders and not the fancy one and i miss that, i was wondering if i can change them back?

It is going on about Quick Launch Icons Quick Launch ,Show Desktop?- if not show any screen

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/202785-missing-icons-start-menu-icons-right-hand-side.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Dear Friends
The icons that normally appear in the system tray have gone missing. Clock and Wireless icons are there but Battery and Sound Volume (speaker) are missing. I have tried all help available on the net but failed to resolve the issue.
This problem is resolved by using the following method. (Only to come back on next boot.)
Start Task Manager
Under Processes, select explorer exe. END process twice
File New task Run - explorer. Exit Task Manager
Please help to resolve the problem permanently rather than ending the explorer exe and restarting each time I reboot.
Thanks.

A:WINDOWS 7 PRO 64bit SYSTEM TRAY ICONS MISSING

Wondering if an update is the culprit. My laptop seems to refuse to connect to my wireless router anymore after I did a Windows update. I reformatted my laptop and did the required system update via windows update after a fresh install and the problem is still occurring. I'm still trying to track down the issue.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/134835-windows-7-pro-64bit-system-tray-icons-missing.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Please follow the link to represent my problem. Issues are highlighted via a red circle/box.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Image Link:
User Media - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/60545-windows-8-1-64bit-icons-missing-e-g-power-button.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Thanks in advance for your assistance System boots OK OK but can t find programs due to file extensions being reset to lnk Was able Cannot Files Icons, Open Desktop Windows Missing to get back some functions by restoring exe file Missing Desktop Icons, Windows Cannot Open Files association in folder options filetype tab The system issued a message that I had recovered from a serious error All desktop icons are still not fixed yet I suspect an infection but dont know how to interpret Hijackthis log Was able to restore RUN program functionality when i fixed the file extension I would appreciate someone who is knowledgeable to interpret my hijack log and guide me through the steps to get any malware or worm cleaned Do not have the ability yet for an IE Windows update This machine is a Dell XPS desktop about years old I have upgraded my graphics card but aside from that no other hardware changes I just ran TrendMicro House Call and found a RogueAV which I will fix with Trendmicro I have supported TechGuy and will continue to support Thanks Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Acronis Schedule schedul exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Anti-Virus avp exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C WINDOWS system cisvc exe C WINDOWS system CTsvcCDA EXE C WINDOWS eHome ehRecvr exe C WINDOWS eHome ehSched exe C PROGRA AVANQU Fix-It mxtask exe C Program Files Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager iaantmon exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C Program Files Microsoft SQL Server MSSQL MICROSOFTBCM Binn sqlservr exe C WINDOWS system PnkBstrA exe C WINDOWS system PnkBstrB exe C Program Files Spyware Doctor pctsAuxs exe C Program Files Spyware Doctor pctsSvc exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Dell Support Center bin sprtsvc exe C Program Files Spyware Doctor pctsTray exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS ehome mcrdsvc exe C WINDOWS system taskmgr exe C Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Anti-Virus avp exe C Program Files Creative SBAudigy ZS AudioHQ AHQTBU EXE C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Musicmatch Musicmatch Jukebox mmtask exe C Program Files Real RealPlayer RealPlay exe C Program Files Maxtor OneTouch utils Onetouch exe C PROGRA Dantz RETROS RetroExpress exe C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition Apps apdproxy exe C Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktop exe C Program Files Dell Support Center bin sprtcmd exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exe C WINDOWS system dwwin exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static ccc exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C PROGRA Dantz RETROS retrospect exe C Program Files Java jre bin jucheck exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C PROGRA Dantz RETROS retrorun exe C WINDOWS system cidaemon exe C WINDOWS system cidaemon exe C WINDOWS pchealth helpctr binaries helpctr exe C Program Files Spyware Doctor Update exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C DOCUME Alfred LOCALS Temp HouseCall housecall bin C Documents and Settings Alfred My Documents Downloads HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explor... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-desktop-icons-windows-cannot-open-files.928825/
Relevancy 51.17%

I'm helping a friend with her laptop She is getting pop-ups and redirects I was able to run update desktop Pop-ups, windows icons, to missing unable panda scan and I updated Windows XP Home to SP but I can't seem to get any further with that Pop-ups, missing desktop icons, unable to update windows Here is the hijackthis log and the panda scan log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files D-Link Wireless G WNA- acs exe C Program Files Google Common Google Updater GoogleUpdaterService exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Pop-ups, missing desktop icons, unable to update windows WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System tcpsvcs exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system fxssvc exe C WINDOWS System rundll exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS explorer exe C Documents and Settings Kristina Desktop HiJackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www verizon net F - REG system ini UserInit C WINDOWS system userinit exe C WINDOWS System Crypt exe O - Toolbar Browser Bar - F C - FB - FE-BA - E DDE - C PROGRA BLUELI toolbar dll file missing O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - HKLM Run af b rundll exe quot C WINDOWS System eivsrayt dll quot b O - HKCU Run MSMSGS quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe quot background O - HKCU Run A F CC C exe C DOCUME Kristina LOCALS Temp A F CC C exe O - HKCU Run Windows update loader C Windows xpupdate exe O - HKCU Run swg C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe O - Global Startup Wireless Connection Manager lnk C Program Files D-Link Wireless G WNA- wirelesscm exe O - Extra button HP Clipbook - ECB - F - cb-A - ABF E - C Program Files HP Smart Web Printing hpswp extensions dll O - Extra button HP Smart Select - D - - a- B - E - C Program Files HP Smart Web Printing hpswp extensions dll O - Extra button Related - c fe - f d- d -a b- aa c a - C WINDOWS web related htm O - Extra 'Tools' menuitem Show amp Related Links - c fe - f d- d -a b- aa c a - C WINDOWS web related htm O - Extra button Real com - CD F -D E - d - FE- C F AFE - C WINDOWS System Shdocvw dll O - Plugin for spop C Program Files Internet Explorer Plugins NPDocBox dll O - DPF -C A- E-A -C C BBF Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool - http go microsoft com fwlink linkid O - DPF D ED D- C - B- AE- D FDC FB ActiveScan Installer Class - http acs pandasoftware com actives as stubie cab O - DPF B-B - D-A D -FCFDF E C WUWebControl Class - http update microsoft com windowsu O - DPF E A- D- EE - C-DC FA D FC MUWebControl Class - http www update microsoft com micr O - DPF EF A B-FC - C - EF-FB E A E McFreeScan Class - http download mcafee com molbin is mcfscan cab O - AppInit DLLs gvwvxo dll O - Service Atheros Configuration Service ACS - Unknown owner - C Program Files D-Link Wireless G WNA- acs exe O - Service Google Updater Service gusvc - Google - C Program Files Google Common Google Updater GoogleUpdaterService exe O - Service lxby device - Lexmark International Inc - C WINDOWS System lxbycoms exe -- End of file - bytes

A:Pop-ups, missing desktop icons, unable to update windows

Hello and welcome to TSF

You may wish to subscribe to this thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted. To do this click Thread Tools, then click Subscribe to this Thread. Make sure it is set to Instant Notification, then click Subscribe.

-------------------------------------

Before beginning the fix, read this post completely. If there's anything that you do not understand, kindly ask your questions before proceeding.

--------------------------------------

I see no evidence of an AntiVirus program on your system. This must be resolved. Connecting to the Internet without antivirus protection is a "Welcome" doormat for malware. It can take as little as eight seconds to infect an unprotected computer.

Here are a few very good free Antivirus products which are available:Avira PersonalEdition Classic
Avast!
AVG
Select one of these, or another of your choice. Do not install more than one antivirus program because they will conflict with each other. It is imperative that you update your antivirus software at least once a week (even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch new malware that may have come out.

Install, update definitions, and run a full system scan with the Anti-Virus of your choice.

------------------------------

Next we are going to use ComboFix.exe. Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running the tool:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/comb...o-use-combofix

Please ensure you read this guide carefully and install the Recovery Console first.

The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot up into a special recovery (repair) mode. This allows us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It is a simple procedure that will only take a few moments of your time.

Once installed, you should see a blue screen prompt that says:

The Recovery Console was successfully installed.

Please continue as follows:Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
Click Yes to allow ComboFix to continue scanning for malware.
When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you.

Please include the following reports for further review, and so we may continue cleansing the system:

C:\ComboFix.txt
New HijackThis log.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/pop-ups-missing-desktop-icons-unable-to-update-windows-292838.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Greetings,
I purchaesd a Toshiba laptop 3 days ago and getting my feet wet with Windows 7. I'm going nuts trying to install the menu bar in Live Mail. The 3 small icons on the upper right are missing and I've trid every Alt keyboard command possible. I spent 14 straight hours yesterday, slept for 2 hours and back at it. My head hurts! I contacted Toshiba and they blew me off to Microsoft, who wants money for support. The unit is less than 72 hours old, and there is no support. Ive viewed hundreds of pages online and get the same fix over and over. That is to use an icon that I don't have, or use Alt-M. I just sent backup files to external HD and am getting ready to do a destructive recovery. Any help would be appreciated. Barring a fix, I'm either going to install XP Pro, or return the unit.
Nutty in Vancouver

A:Help! Missing icons in Windows 7 Live Mail 2011

Hi diablodrew,

Do you have a little down arrow either where the icons should be or underneath the ribbon? If so press it and select what you want to see.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/130527-help-missing-icons-windows-7-live-mail-2011-a.html
Relevancy 51.17%

On Wednesday my computer became infected with what I discovered was the Windows XP Recovery virus My desktop went completely black I had no icons and nothing other than the blue bar at the bottom of my screen The Start menu was empty apparently After doing a Google search virus with Infected Recovery missing XP Windows & icons on my husband s laptop and discovering your website I completed all the steps in your tutorial on removing the virus I ran RKill Malwarebyte s Anti-Malware Unhide and Secunia PSI which of course ended in me stupidly uninstalling Adobe Infected with Windows XP Recovery virus & missing icons Acrobat Infected with Windows XP Recovery virus & missing icons and I now can t find my disc to reinstall Oops Infected with Windows XP Recovery virus & missing icons My computer seems to be mostly recovered except for the following I had an icon on my desktop for Windows XP Recovery that appeared to be an executable When I pull up my Start menu the left column I m so non-technical the area where the frequently used programs are listed is blank and many of my program folders still show as being empty I can t locate any of my MS Office applications although I can open individual documents that I have saved on my computer my calculator is missing etc One of the folders showing in my Start menu programs list is quot Windows XP Recovery quot which contains both the executable file and an quot Uninstall Windows XP Recovery quot file I have also gone through the steps indicated on your site for unhiding all files on my computer I am not sure how to proceed Any help you re able to provide me would be greatly appreciated Here is my DDS log DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by Kelly at on - - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition GMT - AV McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Enabled Updated B EE - - CDE-A A-DD BA FAD FW McAfee Firewall Enabled Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunchsvchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcsC WINDOWS system svchost exe -k WudfServiceGroupsvchost exesvchost exeC WINDOWS System WLTRYSVC EXEC WINDOWS System bcmwltry exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exesvchost exeC Program Files Adobe Photoshop Elements PhotoshopElementsFileAgent exeC WINDOWS system bgsvcgen exeC Program Files Nero Nero InCD InCDsrv exeC Program Files Java jre bin jqs exeC Program Files LeapFrog LeapFrog Connect CommandService exeC Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exeC Program Files Common Files Mcafee McSvcHost McSvHost exeC WINDOWS system mfevtps exeC Program Files Nero Update NASvc exeC Program Files Common Files Roxio Shared SharedCOM RoxWatch exeC Program Files Secunia PSI PSIA exeC WINDOWS system svchost exe -k imgsvcC Program Files Common Files McAfee SystemCore mcshield exeC Program Files Common Files McAfee SystemCore mfefire exeC Program Files Canon CAL CALMAIN exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS system rundll exeC Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exeC WINDOWS OEM Mon exeC WINDOWS system WLTRAY exeC WINDOWS stsystra exeC WINDOWS system KADxMain exeC Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exeC Program Files Dell Support Center bin sprtcmd exeC WINDOWS system UMonit exeC Program Files LeapFrog LeapFrog Connect Monitor exeC Program Files Nero Nero InCD NBHGui exeC Program Files Nero Nero InCD InCD exeC WINDOWS Samsung PanelMgr SSMMgr exeC Program Files McAfee com Agent mcagent exeC WINDOWS system spool drivers w x hpztsb exeC WINDOWS system hphmon exeC program files real realplayer update realsched exeC Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files Messenger msmsgs exeC Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMBgMonitor exeC Program Files Secunia PSI psi tray exeC Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMIndexingService exeC Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMIndexStoreSvr exeC WINDOWS System svchost exe -k HTTPFilterC Program Files Secunia PSI sua exeC Documents and Settings Kel... Read more

A:Infected with Windows XP Recovery virus & missing icons

Hello and Welcome to the forums! My name is Gringo and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems. Somethings to remember while we are working together.Do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!Please Do not Attach logs or put in code boxes.Tell me about any problems that have occurred during the fix.Tell me of any other symptoms you may be having as these can help also.Do not run anything while running a fix.We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.Click on the Watch Topic Button and select Immediate Notification and click on proceed, this will help you to get notified faster when I have replied and make the cleaning process faster.In order for me to see the status of the infection I will need a new set of logs to start with.Please print out or make a copy in notpad of any instructions given, as sometimes it is necessary to go offline and you will lose access to them.DeFogger: Please download DeFogger to your desktop.

Double click DeFogger to run the tool.
The application window will appear Click the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers Click Yes to continue A 'Finished!' message will appear Click OKDeFogger may ask you to reboot the machine, if it does - click OKDo not re-enable these drivers until otherwise instructed.Download DDS:Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the links below and save it to your desktop:
Download DDS and save it to your desktop

Link1
Link2
Link3

Please disable any anti-malware program that will block scripts from running before running DDS.

Double-Click on dds.scr and a command window will appear. This is normal.Shortly after two logs will appear:
DDS.txt Attach.txtA window will open instructing you save & post the logsSave the logs to a convenient place such as your desktopCopy the contents of both logs & post in your next replyScan With RKUnHookerPlease Download Rootkit Unhooker Save it to your desktop.Now double-click on RKUnhookerLE.exe to run it.Click the Report tab, then click Scan.Check (Tick) Drivers, Stealth,. Uncheck the rest. then Click OK.Wait till the scanner has finished and then click File, Save Report.Save the report somewhere where you can find it. Click Close.Copy the entire contents of the report and paste it in a reply here.Note** you may get this warning it is ok, just ignore"Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself!It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?""just click on Cancel, then Accept".information and logs:In your next post I need the following

.logs from DDSlog from RKUnHookerlet me know of any problems you may have hadGringo

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/401681/infected-with-windows-xp-recovery-virus-missing-icons/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello So I have been trying to resolve this for a while now to no avail Perhaps somebody here can help Mod Icons RDP Post Windows/Installer 2k8 Server Win R2 - Missing But let's recap so we're all on the same page Win Server 2k8 R2 RDP - Icons Missing Post Windows/Installer Mod For starters this is a Win Server R Terminal Server Domain users log in on a daily basis to access their profiles and workspace The server was running low on HDD space so I removed the content from the Windows Installer folder I backed it up first The next day all icons were generic and white Mind you server reboots automatically at night So I reverted my changes re-applied the content of the Installer folder and the icons came back but ONLY for administrators Regular users still have issues as is visible in the image below So here's what I have done so far -Installed IconPackager to try and rebuild icons then uninstalled -Rebuild IconCache lt lt lt This quot db quot file does not exist for any of the user profiles -Delete the shellex reg entry to force the rebuild of the icon cache lt lt lt this reg entry apparently doesn't exist -Apply Full Control ownership of Installer folder to all domain users -Ran sfc scannow But like I said nothing works Any ideas Thank you in advance

A:Win Server 2k8 R2 RDP - Icons Missing Post Windows/Installer Mod

Bump. Any ideas or insight? Thank you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/394067-win-server-2k8-r2-rdp-icons-missing-post-windows-installer-mod.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Windows XP SP Control panel icons missing Recently loaded Norton SystemWorks Update amp its NortonGoBack Immediately SP2" icons Windows Panel missing Control XP ran Norton Antivirus and defrag Then went to MS Control Panel and found only the Time Date icon in Control Panel Then looked in Windows System folder and correctly found all the cpl files From internet got advice to Run Registry editor and navigate to HKEY CURRENT USER Control Panel don t load Now look in right hand panel and you ll see the Control Panel icons disabled Not sure what that meant exactly So checked with friends and found their right hand panel had exactly the same entries as mine but they of course had all their icons in Control Panel So did not follow further advice to Right click on don t load subkey and Delete Further suggestion was to use MS System Restore to a date before the NSW installation Tried different dates but always came back with Cannot be restored Now thought of uninstalling Norton SW but Symantec say must be done through MS Control Panel So can t do that either Apart from no icons in Control Panel everything on my system so far seems to be running OK Symantec SUPPORT by the way after giving me a case reference number with contact promised within hours have still not come back to me after days despite two further chasing emails Any bright techie out there who can solve this problem Regards Fotopete nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

I'm posting this in case it helps others encountering the same problem I 10 Icons and to update missing Windows Devices Printers following spent three Devices and Printers Icons missing following update to Windows 10 or four days on Devices and Printers Icons missing following update to Windows 10 this without success Google searches on this forum and generally on the web and Microsoft came up with no working solution - although it appears to be a problem that has afflicted Windows and Windows users too I finally solved the problem by comparing the services list of the PC with the problem to that of a PC that did not have the problem I updated three Windows PCs to Windows All updates went fine but one PC had an annoying problem that finally I have now solved This was a brand new Lenovo PC out of the box with Windows pre-installed My first step was to run the free upgrade to Windows This appeared to work fine with one at least so far problem - all the following are related In Printers and Devices in the control panel no icons for printers appeared after I installed them The default printers like fax or PDF printer pre-installed did appear but a directly connected printer a wireless printer and network printers did not appear after they were installed following the Windows upgrade However the printers did appear in Device Manager and in the print menus for programs e g MS Word And printing worked as normal Uninstalling and reinstalling printers did not work Nor did changing drivers through Windows These were all Windows quot approved quot drivers in any case and Windows would tell me the best driver was already installed Trying to uninstall one of the printers that did appear by right-click on the icon would not work The printer and the icon were unchanged I tried this because one forum thread I found suggested that a particular PDF printer driver quot broke quot Devices amp Printers Nonsense After a couple of days I spotted that the safely eject USB stick icon did not work properly When a USB stick was inserted the safely eject icon would appear in the tray but either the device did not show or it was greyed out The only way to eject was to use the right-click context menu from Windows explorer for the USB drive letter Solution The problem turned out to be a Device service not running Right-click on quot This PC quot and pick quot Manage quot to open Computer Management I am using Classic Shell for a start menu so how you get to Computer Management may be different - you could try search from the start menu to get a link to open the console Open quot Services quot under Services and Applications In the main window of services scroll down until You should find five quot Device quot services quot Device Association Service quot quot Device Install Service quot quot Device Management Enrollment Service quot quot Device Setup Manager quot and quot DevQuery Background Discovery Broker quot The first third fourth and fifth should have a startup type of quot Manual Trigger Start quot quot Device Management Enrollment Service quot is just quot Manual quot On the problem machine the quot Device Install Service quot was shown as disabled I set this to quot Manual Trigger Start quot from the properties I have been typing so long now that I forget whether it was this or one of the others that was disabled - pretty certain it was this In any case enable manual start for all of them and make sure none are disabled After checking and if necessary changing the service startups reboot the machine Now check the Devices and Printers folder all the missing printer icons should appear I found that there were other things missing too that now appeared - e g a network NAS drive appeared that I had not realised was missing Plug in a USB stick You should find that now the eject device safely icon appears correctly in the system tray with the USB device and drive letter and clicking eject works as it should I hope this helps anyone else who experiences ... Read more

A:Devices and Printers Icons missing following update to Windows 10

Do you know of there is a way to get the Devices and Printers listed in the right click of the W10 Start Menu? It would be much faster to look at a problem printer if I did not have to go to the Control Panel. It would also work almost like all of the other Start menus in the past.

Forget it as I found a way to get Devices and Printers into the My PC display:

Devices and Printers - Add or Remove from This PC in Windows 10

Thanks,
Z

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/18382-devices-printers-icons-missing-following-update-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello So I have been trying to resolve this for a while now to no avail Perhaps somebody here can help But let's recap so we're all on the same page For starters this is a Win Server R Terminal Server Domain users log in on a daily basis to Mod Win Missing Post - Icons 2k8 R2 Server RDP Windows/Installer access their profiles and workspace The server was running Win Server 2k8 R2 RDP - Icons Missing Post Windows/Installer Mod low on HDD space so I removed the content from the Windows Installer folder I backed it up first The next day all icons were generic and white Mind you server reboots automatically at night So I reverted my changes re-applied the content of the Installer folder and the icons came back but ONLY for administrators Regular users still have issues as is visible in the image below So here's what I have done so far -Installed IconPackager to try and rebuild icons then uninstalled -Rebuild IconCache lt lt lt This quot db quot file does not exist for any of the user profiles -Delete the shellex reg entry to force the rebuild of the icon cache lt lt lt this reg entry apparently doesn't exist -Apply Full Control ownership of Installer folder to all domain users -Ran sfc scannow But like I said nothing works Any ideas Thank you in advance

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/394067-win-server-2k8-r2-rdp-icons-missing-post-windows-installer-mod.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I have Windows live messenger and Skype and Microsoft Office so far they re the only ones I noticed that are doing this But when I open them the icon in the taskbar shows a basic windows classic icon it does not show the proper icon for these programs I pin the program to the taskbar and then unpin it and it icon? classic changing missing, to Random windows or Icons shows up correctly for a while but then goes back to classic windows icon How can I try and fix this Screenshot belowI have tried http www winhelponline com blog how-to-rebuild-the-icon-cache-in-windows-vista All It did was change my startorb back to a windows logo and change the windows live messenger icon back to a different windows icon Screenshot below Before clearing cache After As you can see it changed my startorb Random Icons missing, or changing to classic windows icon? back and changed the icon for Windows Live Messenger I have no idea what Random Icons missing, or changing to classic windows icon? s causing Random Icons missing, or changing to classic windows icon? this but so far it seems to only be those programs They appear fine in my dock and on my desktop But they do not work on my taskbar or in my startmenu

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/371608/random-icons-missing-or-changing-to-classic-windows-icon/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello,

I was recently infected by the Windows Restore virus. I went through procedures and am mostly confident that I have successfully removed the virus, but I still cannot see my desktop icons even though I know they have not been wiped out. Can someone assist me in putting them back on my desktop. Running Windows XP.

Thank you in advance.

A:Infected by Windows Restore virus, desktop icons missing

Anyone able to assist?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/394379/infected-by-windows-restore-virus-desktop-icons-missing/
Relevancy 50.74%

Could I get the best and brightest Windows OS knowledgeable members over to the gaming thread please Thanks I have reported it and others on the Nvidia forums Doesn't seem to happen for light gaming for minutes Windows Missing After Start Gaming Icons/Tiles Menu 10 or so and of course won't happen after playing solitaire but after heavy gaming Battlefield Hardline the free Star Wars beta for minutes or so after exiting most of the start menu is often blank Windows 10 Start Menu Icons/Tiles Missing After Gaming Takes a reboot to get it back I do Windows 10 Start Menu Icons/Tiles Missing After Gaming not believe it's corruption issues on my OS or hardware issues Things I've done SFC scannow no issues Ran this quot Get-appxpackage -all shellexperience -packagetype bundle add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode installlocation appxmetadata appxbundlemanifest xml to reregister icons Did a rebuild of the icon cache Did extensive memory tests - all passed Turned off quot game mode quot in Antivirus I'm no expert but logic tells me it's how the graphic drivers are managing memory during gaming and possibly allocating resources or not to certain tasks I do not want to do a clean install of Windows as a prayer From what I see Windows is operating fine and I don't want to have to download significant GIGS of games again for a clean install that might likely not fix the issue I'm trying to understand what the issues is likely video drivers or how they are working with the Frostbite engine EA games

A:Windows 10 Start Menu Icons/Tiles Missing After Gaming

I have the same issue from time to time. I haven't been able to find an answer, but I've reported it to both Windows Feedback and to Nvidia.

http://www.tenforums.com/gaming/25860-windows-10-start-menu-icons-tiles-missing-after-gaming.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi everyone

I am searching this problem I am having over the last few days. It is very very frustrating now.
I have Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 32 bit
My Desktop Icons and Start Up Task Bar are missing

I have tried everything -
Task Manager - Type explorer.exe
Check regedit but didnt find anything there
Run Malwarebyte NO use
Used HiJackthis NO use

After Windows boot and splash, all I get is a black screen with Explorer Window showing C D E Drives.

Then after searching everywhere possible in the internet, I had one suspicion. In Control Panel, when I click Task Bar and Menu, and Folder Option Icon, they DO Not Open. All others do open. I think they are disabled there in Task Bar and Menu by Virus??

I have lot of work pending on my Laptop and this is so frustrating now... please HELP any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for your time
Rake

A:Missing Desktop Icons and Start up Menu Task Bar in Windows 7 - HELP!

Try this SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/344770-missing-desktop-icons-start-up-menu-task-bar-windows-7-help.html
Relevancy 50.31%

No, I didn't stutter.

I'm wondering if there is a way to batch delete all the user-pinned items that show up when I right-click, say, the OOffice Writer user-pinned icon on the task bar, revealing all my user-pinned documents (as well all the recently opened non-pinned docs)?

I know I can delete them individually, one-by-one, but I'm wondering where they're listed, say, in the registry or in appdata, or something, that would allow me to delete them all at once.

Clear as mud? Here's a pic:

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/380816-can-i-batch-delete-user-pinned-user-pinned-task-bar-items.html
Relevancy 50.31%

so i used about 25 different programs, including combofix, and i can't find any more remnants of the virus. i used unhide and a program called usbshow, and all of my menus and programs are no longer hidden. the problem is only that the actual shortcut icons are still missing. before i spend another 3 hours making all new shortcuts, i wanted to see if anybody here knew anything that could help. i you need me to attach logs or reports i have no problem with that.

i searched over a dozen similar topics, and the ones that were successfully completed never said how they got the icons to show back up.

thanks a bunch..

A:Windows Recovery Virus Eliminated But Start Menu Icons Are Still Missing

Let's see, if we can find your shortcuts...Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.Download Mirror #1Download Mirror #264-bit users go HEREDouble-click SystemLook.exe to run it.Vista\Win 7 users:: Right click on SystemLook.exe, click Run As AdministratorCopy the content of the following box into the main textfield:

:folder
%Temp%\smtmp\4
%Temp%\smtmp\2
%Temp%\smtmp\1

Click the Look button to start the scan.When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/396830/windows-recovery-virus-eliminated-but-start-menu-icons-are-still-missing/
Relevancy 50.31%

Working on a client's PC Has a Core i gb ssd gb ram nothing too fancy His SSD has a windows partition works just fine and a windows partition not so much The windows boots up and works just fine However when you click the start button literally all the app and program icons are missing Also when you search for anything for example windows update it finds results that are random 8 Windows Missing App just but Icons, works Safe fine? Corrupted, Mode jumbled letters and numbers and when you press enter to Windows 8 Missing App Icons, Corrupted, but Safe Mode works just fine? open for example windows update it ask you what type of program you want to use to open the cdf-ms file with no programs listed Also upon boot it opens up an error message that says EEventManager - The system cannot find the path specified However if booted up into safe mode all the app icons Windows 8 Missing App Icons, Corrupted, but Safe Mode works just fine? show up and everything seems to be working normally Again the windows partition is just fine as well Any ideas Don't have installation disks to do a quot pc refresh quot

A:Windows 8 Missing App Icons, Corrupted, but Safe Mode works just fine?

Probably best to ask over here. Windows 8 Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/365422-windows-8-missing-app-icons-corrupted-but-safe-mode-works-just-fine.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello everybody

My first post here, hope I'm doing it right.

I'm trying to get a Windows 7 Standard Embedded to work as "it should"

The issue can be seen on the attached photo in this post.

No matter what CAB I install after the image has been build the screen I get under "Control Panel" - "User Accounts" - "User Accounts" is the one I have attached.

I can't find the right feature or pack that I need to install or activate to make me be able to get the normal setting screen in "User Accounts".

Is there any of you people who can tell me what am doing wrong?

Best regards
Morten

A:User Control Panel missing settings and icons - Windows 7 Embedded

Test for infection, run SFC, establish a Clean Boot, then continue through the other Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7 reporting back as you go in case other steps are indicated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/375620-user-control-panel-missing-settings-icons-windows-7-embedded.html
Relevancy 50.31%

These strange behaviors happened suddenly. I now have the generic blue desktop background that is consistent with the initial windows startup. In explorer, I can see two profiles, one of which contains all of the correct files such as my favorites and desktop icons. However it is not the one currently running and I don&#8217;t know how switch between users. Any ideas?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-lost-desktop-background-picture-missing-icons.468354/
Relevancy 50.31%

Don’t know what happen to my windows 8 operating system as it is not displaying my local hard disk drives in my computer window, i am only able to see only local disk C ! please help me to solve this problem.....thanks..... Any help!!

A:Local disk drives icons are missing from my computer window in windows 8

Post a Screen Shot of My Computer, and also of Disk Management in Computer management, which is under Administrative tools.  You need to do all of this through the desktop, not through Metro.  Also what third party "Internet Security" software are you running?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/509506/local-disk-drives-icons-are-missing-from-my-computer-window-in-windows-8/
Relevancy 49.45%

I have a laptop that after removing fake System Recovery still has browser redirects missing icons and Redirections, Browser Icons Recover, System Missing Items, Menu Missing Start missing start menu items I have System Recover, Browser Redirections, Missing Start Menu Items, Missing Icons used unhide exe to bring back the icons but when expanding any item in the start menu the menu is blank I have attempted to run ComboFix with no results It appears that ComboFix never successfully installed as the laptop froze during the process I have tried running tdsskiller for the rootkit but the program never loads which makes me think it is being blocked I apologize for not posting a DSS log but it never successfully completed either I was able to run GMER Upon starting GMER I received the following message After hitting OK GMER was able to run GMER - http www gmer netRootkit scan - - Windows Service Pack Running ix whbwo exe Driver C DOCUME DAVIDA LOCALS Temp fwddipow sys---- Registry - GMER ----Reg HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Prefetcher TracesProcessed Reg HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Windows DeviceNotSelectedTimeout Reg HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Windows GDIProcessHandleQuota Reg HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Windows Spooler yesReg HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Windows swapdisk Reg HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Windows TransmissionRetryTimeout Reg HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Windows USERProcessHandleQuota Reg HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Windows LoadAppInit DLLs Reg HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Ext Stats D CDB E-AE D- CF- B - iexplore Count ---- Files - GMER ----File C Documents and Settings Davida Estep Local Settings Temporary Internet Files Content IE Y DHVE sandbox htm bytesFile C Documents and Settings Davida Estep Local Settings Temporary Internet Files Content IE L F R closestshowtimes xml bytesFile C Documents and Settings Davida Estep Local Settings Temporary Internet Files Content IE L F R fw-nonplayer-banner htm bytesFile C Documents and Settings Davida Estep Local Settings Temporary Internet Files Content IE L F R fw-nonplayer-banner htm bytesFile C Documents and Settings Davida Estep Local Settings Temporary Internet Files Content IE L F R fw-nonplayer-banner htm bytes---- EOF - GMER ----

A:System Recover, Browser Redirections, Missing Start Menu Items, Missing Icons

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything. We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here. To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/425878 <<< CLICK THIS LINK If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.*************************************************** If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new DDS and GMER log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.
Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system. If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.*************************************************** We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scr DDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner. Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows you will not be able to run GMER and you may skip this step. Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic: Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here: How to create a GME... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/425878/system-recover-browser-redirections-missing-start-menu-items-missing-icons/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hey I'm having a bizarre problem with Vista Home bit which suddenly appeared overnight I put my notebook to sleep the day before and when I powered it back on this morning it was on the black amp white boot up menu saying the notebook and crashed and had to restart I opted to boot windows normally problem - Sudden icons Program system missing directories; folder empty; tray missing but it kept restarting Same problem with safe mode I tried to repair the installation with the installation disc but that didn't work Got to System Restore tried to restore a previous point but that failed I rebooted again and miraculously it booted up to the desktop But I've noticed a few major problems The program folder Sudden problem - Program folder empty; missing directories; missing system tray icons in the start menu is empty The system tray has missing icons most notably network connections A few directories in C are missing Am sure I didn't delete them Many applications like MS Office or Adobe Acrobat are missing have broken links and therefore do not work I have user accounts on the notebook and both have similar problems When I boot up in Safe Mode the program folder has a few applications listed but the other problems remain System Restore doesn't work It returns an error message saying a file's missing or something like that I feel something's corrupted but I don't even know how to begin searching for a solution to the problem since the symptoms are all over the place Would appreciate any help

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/303930-sudden-problem-program-folder-empty-missing-directories-missing-system-tray-icons.html