Windows Support Forum

Turn Windows Features On and Off Question

Q: Turn Windows Features On and Off Question

Hello all, I'm new to Seven Forums and I have a question. I have been trying to install .net ver.4, but the error says it is installed but not turned on. So I google turn on .net 4 and I get to turn Windows features On and Off. Which brings me back to an issue I noticed. Every time I see screen shots of the features screen, it is a long list of many features, but mine is almost bare:

Mind this is an OEM version installed by my system builder, but I'm wondering where are all my options?

I have disabled some services per the Black Viper list, but I can't think that would remove any or all of the missing items? Any ideas?

A Guy

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Turn Windows Features On and Off Question

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Turn Windows Features On and Off Question

Mine looks like your second screenshot, are you saying yours doesn't?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/92410-turn-windows-features-off-question.html
Relevancy 77.83%

I am having an issue where the windows features under Internet Information Services/World Wide Web Services/Application Development Features will not install.  Specifically those which are clicked on when one clicks on ASP.NET.  All necessary versions
of ASP.NET are installed.  IIS 7 is installed.
In the Event Log there are two errors which are shown in conjunction with this problem.
1. Unable to install counter strings because the SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASP.NET_64\Performance key could not be opened or accessed. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the Win32 error code.
The error code is: 020000000E0E0000
2. Installing the performance counter strings for service ASP.NET_64 (ASP.NET_64) failed. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the error code.
The error code is: 02000000C9120000
I am thinking that the performace key is somehow not accessable due to some security feature.

A:Turn Windows Features on or off Application Development Features

Andre,
I appreciate the replies, but it has nothing to do with running as administrator.
I solved the problem by turning IIS off all together and reinstalling it with the features I needed.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d711ecd1-620c-473c-af39-e607bbe2ec18/turn-windows-features-on-or-off-application-development-features?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 69.66%

Hello,

I will go straight to the point here guys,

I need WMP and I have installed Windows 10 Pro N recently (since my university gives free keys)
I went to the windows download section in the website and downloaded the Media features Pack!

The problem is, after I installed it I went to "turn windows features off and on" to check it and play music in my wmp
and it was not there! There is no "Media Features" option like it is supposed to have. I tryed:

Reinstalling, did not work because windows said it was there already
Rebooting, nothing changed,
Running wmp Fix,
Ran SFc /scannow, nothing was found

I would really appreciate if someone really good came and said that I missed something really simple.

Thank you.

A:Media Features in "Turn windows features on and off"

Originally Posted by Foli

Hello,

I will go straight to the point here guys,

I need WMP and I have installed Windows 10 Pro N recently (since my university gives free keys)
I went to the windows download section in the website and downloaded the Media features Pack!

The problem is, after I installed it I went to "turn windows features off and on" to check it and play music in my wmp
and it was not there! There is no "Media Features" option like it is supposed to have. I tryed:

Reinstalling, did not work because windows said it was there already
Rebooting, nothing changed,
Running wmp Fix,
Ran SFc /scannow, nothing was found

I would really appreciate if someone really good came and said that I missed something really simple.

Thank you.

WMP (Windows Media Player) is available by default in Windows 10:
All apps/Windows Accessories
Are you, perhaps, referring to Windows Media Center?

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/33114-media-features-turn-windows-features-off.html
Relevancy 67.51%

When I navigate to Start>Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>Turn Windows Features On or Off

I cannot turn off any Windows features including: Tablet PC Optional Components, Windows Fax and Scan, Windows Meeting Space, Etc.

Instead, When I uncheck one of these features and click ok I get "Please wait while the features are configured" for about 15-20 secs. Then I receive an error message reading:"an error has occurred. not all of the features were successfully changed"

I have Windows Vista Ultimate. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have searched everywhere for a solution to this problem and have found no solutions yet!

Relevancy 67.51%

This doesn't seem to be working for me. Whenever I try it nothing comes up as options.

Help? Thanks guys.

A:Turn windows features on and off?

Which features are you trying to turn off or disable or turn on/enable? On some things you might have to change a registry value from "1" to "0" or delete/rename an entry if it's not one seeing the disable, manual, automatic settings available.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/4509-turn-windows-features-off.html
Relevancy 67.51%

When I try to use the "Turn Windows features on or off" function to add or remove anything I get "An error has occurred. Not all of the features were successfully changed." I need to remove Microsoft .net framework 3.5.1 plz help me

A:Cannot turn windows features on or off

Do you have administrative privileges on your user account?

And my I ask why you want to remove Net Framework 3.5 which needed for some or curtain software to function.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cannot-turn-windows-features-on-or-off-675386.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I have a new computer with windows 8. I wanted to download a programme which I used to use in windows 7, but to install it I needed to turn a windows feature on. I tried, but it didn't work. I tried again after a couple of days but now my windows features window is empty. Can you please help?

A:turn windows features on or off

Please be more clear. Provide details like which program, which feature etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/turn-windows-features-on-or-off.1139315/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello Everyone I am back again with another Turn Off On Or Windows Features question for you While I was looking up something for one of my other questions I have on here I saw this feature quot Turn Windows features on or off quot So I decided to see what it was about And when I clicked on it A new window came up with a lot of things that I do not know about They are the features that are available on Windows The features that are listed are as follows Games Indexing service Internet Information Services Microsoft Net Framework Microsoft Message Queue MSMQ Server Print Services Remote Differential Compression Removable Storage Management RIP Listener Simple TCPIP Services i e echo daytime etc SNMP Feature Tablet PC Turn Windows Features On Or Off Optional Components Telnet Client Telnet Server TFTP Client Windows DFS Replication Service Windows Meeting Space Windows Process Activation Service The Games Remote Differential Compession Tablet PC Optional Components Windows DFS Replication Service And Windows Meeting Space Are checked Meaning that they are turned on Under Microsoft Net Framework There are sub areas and they are Windows Communication Foundation HTTP Activation Windows Communication Foundation Non-HTTP Activation And XPS Viewer The XPS Viewer is checked meaning it is turned on Under Print Services there are sub areas they are Internet Printing Client LPD Print Service and LPR Port Monitor With Internet Printing Client checked Meaning it is turned on Most of the others I do not think I will need or might need to turn on But would like to get someone with much more computer knowledge than I have to help me decide which ones to either turn on leave off leave on or to turn off Some of these I know I will not need to turn on But the others I am not too sure about Sincerely Matthew

A:Turn Windows Features On Or Off

Each person is different, and your needs with your computer are different - so this is just what I do on my system and may not be appropriate for yours.

I uncheck:
Games
Indexing Service
Remote Differential Compression
Tablet PC Optional Components
Windows Meeting Space

But I haven't made a great study of this - so it may be to your advantage to research each issue before turning them off (for example, if you've got a Tablet PC - then the Tablet PC components may be nice to have).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/132616/turn-windows-features-on-or-off/
Relevancy 67.51%

On windows 8 I am unable to enable and Windows features. Some appear to install correctly, i.e. Hyper-V, but on restart it is still not installed or checked in "Windows Features".

I'd really like to install IIS 8.0, but even "Common HTTP Features" fails with the unhelpful message "Windows couldn't complete the requested changes", "Windows requires a reboot to return the system to its original state".

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/11195-cannot-turn-windows-features-off.html
Relevancy 66.65%

any changes i make in the turn on and off win features, does not take effect and gives error .

and also it takes a lot of time to do this.

is there a way other than the control panel -- programs-- turn on and off method.

A:turn on and off windows features in vista...

Hi srcomsec,  is there a way other than the control panel -- programs-- turn on and off method.I'm sure there is though it would only be a shortcut to the same destination which would result in failure as well.Is this the same Vista computer as you posted a topic for found here?If so, it sounds as if you have major registry corruption and the only possible cure is to either find someone with a Vista installation disc to perform a repair install or restore the computer back to factory condition.Possibility that another member knows something that I don't, so please stay tuned....Donna

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/521838/turn-on-and-off-windows-features-in-vista/
Relevancy 66.65%

hey , i have windows 7 proffesional 64 bit , im trying to install net framework 3.5 and it tells me to turn windows features on or off.... so i go to control panel and unchecking the tick where it says Microsoft NET . Framework 3.5.1 ... as i untick that and click OK it says that its changes it and it takes around 2-3 minutes...
THE PROBLEM IS that after that time it says ''An error has occurred. not all of the features were successfully changed'' ... WHAT SHOULD I DO !?!?! i tried disabling UAC and on i tried uninstalling NET.Framework 4.0 and installing it again BUT NOTHING HELP ! please im desperate
thank you.

A:Turn Windows Features On Or Off Problem

That's fishy. Is it telling you to turn .NET Framework 3.5 off in there? Or is it just generically saying "Turn Windows Features On or Off"?

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/296920-turn-windows-features-off-problem.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hey its The Unofficial here with yet another problem. Whenever I click on "Turn Windows Features On or Off" I get this error message. I know that .Ink is a shortcut, so obviously Windows is missing a needed shortcut for Server Manager. However, there is no application "Server Manager" to shortcut too. If so, I would have already made one in Administrative Tools and everything would be bright and cheery again.

Help is appreciated as always,
The Unofficial

EDIT: Please see the attached screenshot for info on the error

A:Turn windows features on and off broken

Hi the unofficial , try running the system file checker to see if you have a corrupted system file SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker or you may ned to do a system restore prior to when you started to get this error

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/157045-turn-windows-features-off-broken.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Yeah, the list is just empty after loading.
I've tried running sfc /scannow, system restoring back, I've ran a chkdsk on C:, I created a new admin account to see if it worked, I even tried this command: reg delete HKLM\COMPONENTS /v StoreDirty but still no luck.

Any ideas? :s

A:Turn Windows features on or off is blank, I've tried everything

You might try useing your Win 7 disk and do a repair install, if that doesn't work then it's time to do a clean install

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/120564-turn-windows-features-off-blank-ive-tried-everything.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I am getting this message every time I try to turn off a feature, "An error has occurred. not all of the features were successfully changed."

I was able to turn off some features about a month ago, but now it won't let me. It doesn't matter which feature I try to turn off. For ex. I tried turning off DVD Maker, XPS, Gadget platform, etc. SFC comes up clean.

A:Windows 7 Features Turn On/Off Issues

I know you said you ran SFC but I'd run it again from an elevated command prompt (option two.) Even if problems aren't found, run the scan 3 times and reboot the computer after each scan.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

You could also check for malware by running full scans with your installed anti-virus suite and then run a couple of on-demand scans with Malwarebytes and ESET Online Scanner.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/272092-windows-7-features-turn-off-issues.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Thank you for reading this I hope I Windows or .... Turn Off Features On BLANK can get this problem fixed Before I start I did a search Turn Windows Features On or Off .... BLANK here and found this http www bleepingcomputer com forums t windows-features-blank I tried to follow the directions but nothing worked I believe each machine may have different problems amp solutions With that As stated above when I click the Control Panel All Control Panel Items Programs and Features gt Turn Windows Features On or Off link a small windows opens and at first says Please wait so I do When the Please Turn Windows Features On or Off .... BLANK wait Turn Windows Features On or Off .... BLANK disappears the window remains blank Here is my current system information System Information report written at System Name HOME System Summary Item Value OS Name Microsoft Windows Home Premium Version Service Pack Build Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name HOME System Manufacturer Gateway System Model DX System Type x -based PC Processor Intel reg Core i - CPU GHz Mhz Core s Logical Processor s BIOS Version Date American Megatrends Inc P -A SMBIOS Version Windows Directory C Windows System Directory C Windows system Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version User Name Home Dad Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time Installed Physical Memory RAM GB Total Physical Memory GB Available Physical Memory GB Total Virtual Memory GB Available Virtual Memory GB Page File Space GB Page File C pagefile sys A full copy is here

A:Turn Windows Features On or Off .... BLANK

I have attempted to repair this myself, but to no avail...

I have a CBS.log & a CheckSUR.persist.log, but will recreate both if requested.

Here is the CheckSUR.log file:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/626327/turn-windows-features-on-or-off-blank/
Relevancy 66.65%

I have Windows 7 Professional installed on a HP Pavilion this was installed using the HP branded Windows 7 Professional DVD. I just reinstalled Windows 7 Professional last week and got all updates. I am trying to turn on Windows Games in Turn Windows Features on or off. The box where you add features is blank. I found some people fixed this issue by going here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821 I have ran kb947821 and still the box is blank. I would like some help please. I was not sure where to post this so please PM me if it is moved so I can find it.

Thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/395450-turn-windows-features-off-blank-box.html
Relevancy 65.79%

when i unchecked other features then clicked confirm it updated something ........ then restarted and my hard disk space decreased about 100mb, then again i repeated it up to nine times to isolate the problem and find those files but no use and it grew to a 900mb of space used by that stupid thing!!!!!!!! wtf!!!!! where can i delete those temp files??????? HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP 900mb of space is just too much for changing options

indexing off
system restore off

A:turn windows features on or off HD SPACE USAGE

Originally Posted by messi10

when i unchecked other features then clicked confirm it updated something ........ then restarted and my hard disk space decreased about 100mb, then again i repeated it up to nine times to isolate the problem and find those files but no use and it grew to a 900mb of space used by that stupid thing!!!!!!!! wtf!!!!! where can i delete those temp files??????? HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP 900mb of space is just too much for changing options

indexing off
system restore off

its most likely just system restore creating restore points everytime you make a change

what did you "uncheck" you know you can delete all but the most recent restore point if you want

edit............oh i see you have system restore off! your better off leaving that on and limiting the ammount of space it uses

in that case ive no idea whats causing your disk usage , again what did you uncheck?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/244758-turn-windows-features-off-hd-space-usage.html
Relevancy 65.79%

This is my current setup in Control Panel gt Programs and Features gt Turn Windows features on or off To be frank I haven't a clue what most of these features mean or do and Help and Support has nothing to explain the function of the majority of them For example if I rest my cursor over Microsoft Message Queue MSMQ Server it tells me that it 'Manages and Catalogues removable media and operates automated media devices' Because I do use SDHC Memory Cards USB Memory Sticks Cameras Advice or off. Features - Turn needed. Windows on Card Readers and other sundry Windows Features - Turn on or off. Advice needed. media hardware should I then have this box ticked If not Windows Features - Turn on or off. Advice needed. then just what does this feature relate to or do Similarly what the heck is the TFTP Client and what does that do Advice about the other open boxes and their functions would be appreciated with the exception of Games which is self-explanatory and something I have no interest in anyway Recommended settings with reasons for activation will help me understand these features

A:Windows Features - Turn on or off. Advice needed.

This site explains it: Windows Vista Feature Guide

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/226692-windows-features-turn-off-advice-needed.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I tried empty list off Windows - on or Turn features to post this on Windows Newsgroups Vista General Discussion but it seems to be broken There has not been a new post in hours Anyway I Turn Windows features on or off - empty list have Vista Home premium on a desktop When I open quot Control Panel gt Programs and Features gt Turn Windows features on or off quot the list is empty It momentarily says quot Please Wait quot then never populates the list Turn Windows features on or off - empty list I read that it may have something to do with Windows Updates errors so I checked my history I found failed ones from - and - I went to the windows download site and tried to manually install them Every one I tried ended with a message quot This update does not apply to your machine quot I didn't bother to try a couple of them since I do not use Windows mail Maybe that had nothing to do with it The problem persists I ran sfc scannow and after completion it said corrupt files were found but was unable to fix some of them I don't have a Vista CD but I do have all of the recovery disks I made when it was new however I'm not sure how to proceed Am I on the right track Thanks Rusty

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/259859-turn-windows-features-off-empty-list.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I was checking the standard Windows features installed (Control Panel/Programs and Features/Turn Windows Features On or Off) and absolutely nothing comes up in the Windows Features box. Also, I clicked on View Installed Updates and nothing is shown in that box either.

I enabled the Administrator account thinking something was wrong with my ID (configured as Administrator) but I get the same results.

I've attached two pics of the issue.

I'm running Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit.

Any ideas?

A:Cannot turn Windows Features On/Off with either Admin or personal IDs

Are you able to run your Anti-virus/Anti-spyware programs?

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/196568-cannot-turn-windows-features-off-either-admin-personal-ids.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I have tried a number of fixes that I found online - sfc scannow checksur exe system restore etc None of them have worked I think the problem might have been due to a registry clean that I did features or on off blank windows box is dialog Turn with ccleaner but I don't have a system restore or registry backup from before then as I didn't know that it had caused this problem The log from checksur exe is below Code Checking System Update Readiness Binary Version Package Version - - Checking Windows Servicing Packages Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs Checking Package Watchlist Checking Component Watchlist Checking Packages f CBS MUM Missing x servicing Packages Package for KB RTM bf ad e x mum f CBS MUM Missing x servicing Packages Package Turn windows features on or off dialog box is blank for KB bf ad e x Turn windows features on or off dialog box is blank mum Checking Component Store Summary Seconds executed Found errors CBS MUM Missing Total count Unavailable repair files servicing packages Package for KB RTM bf ad e x mum servicing packages Package for KB bf ad e x mum servicing packages Package for KB RTM bf ad e x cat servicing packages Package for KB bf ad e x cat Does anyone have any idea how to fix this I'd rather not have to reinstall windows

A:Turn windows features on or off dialog box is blank

Hi and welcome to TSF do you have a install or recovery disc from which you can run a repair

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/turn-windows-features-on-or-off-dialog-box-is-blank-658516.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Just like the title says, when I'm in the control panel I clicked on the Turn Windows Features on and off. A pop up menu comes up but it's blank. It used to have a list of items with a check box next to them. I searched the internet and can't come up with anything. I waited a while for the menu to pop but no list came up after a half hour. Any idea guys?

A:Help with Blank Menu Turn Windows Features on and off.

Hello SoHacked, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You might see if using the Microsoft KB article below for Vista and Windows for this same issue will work for you in Windows 8 as well. The steps are the same in Windows 8, and should still apply.

You receive error code "0x80073712" or the "Windows Features" dialog box is empty when you try to install updates or components in Windows 7 or in Windows Vista
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/25726-help-blank-menu-turn-windows-features-off.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I am running Windows Home Premium SP on a fairly new machine I ran malware and McAfee scans which were all clean I also ran 3.5 .net on Microsoft turn Windows framework Features Won't Aaron Stebner s NET Framework setup verification tool which was clean as well I have been using a software program that uses quot Microsoft net quot We have Microsoft .net framework 3.5 Windows Features Won't turn on been having some issues with the program and were advised to turn on the following Windows features Control Panel gt Programs gt Windows Features gt Microsoft Net gt two checkmarks below thisI have repeatedly checked these tow at a time one at a time etc and the system will give me a quot wait message quot state that all of the features could not be started and request a re-boot Upon a re-boot neither of these features are checked I have also attempted to re-install and the program itself We have been unable to re-install it appears to start but just disappears without any confirmation whatsoever When I look in programs I have Microsoft Net which apparently is the quot parent quot of I have also entirely removed Microsoft .net framework 3.5 Windows Features Won't turn on both McAfee amp Malwarebytes thinking these may have been blocking us all to no avail does anybody have any ideas Thank you anybody in Microsoft .net framework 3.5 Windows Features Won't turn on advance Oh by the way system restore is also failing

A:Microsoft .net framework 3.5 Windows Features Won't turn on

The Stebner tool...is for removing all versions of NET Framework. It does not do anything else.http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/kbarticle.aspx?id=318785I would use Mr. Stebner's tool...or simply go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall each Framework install in reverse order (most current first)...then install Framework 3.5, SP1, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25150 . Note: If using Add/Remove Programs, do not bother with any critical updates which may have been made to a given version...just uninstall NET Framework 4.0 and NET Framework 3.5 (if installed).IF you want/need to reinstall NET 4.0, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718 .I've never had to do anything to "set up" any version of NET on any of my systems...it just installs. Well, I believe a reboot of the system is necessary but I don't consider that a setup procedure.Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/455973/microsoft-net-framework-35-windows-features-wont-turn-on/
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello!

I have been having a real head ache for a month now because of this problem..
this problem is in microsoft kb list also: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712
I can't install .Net Frameworks 3.5 SP1 or Office 2010 or AutoCad 2010.
when i try do install Net Frameworks 3.5 SP1 then it tells me that i need to "Turn windows features on or off", but i can't because it's blank.

A:Turn windows features on or off - no list / blank

Try this -
START | type optionalfeatures.exe - hit enter

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/turn-windows-features-on-or-off-no-list-blank-460915.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi,

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit - there are a few of Windows features that I am trying to turn off in ?Control Panel/Programs and Features/Turn Windows Features on or off.? I keep getting the message: "An error has occurred, Not all of the features were successfully changed." I would like to turn off Games and Windows Gadget Platform.

I have tried doing this one thing at a time with no results and the same message.

I have run sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r . as suggested in other Windows 7 forums, - no errors or corrupt files were found.

What could possibly be the problem? Any comments, ideas or advice are welcome.

Thank You,

Mike

A:Error message in Turn Windows features on or off

Are you doing it from here.

You can also go to the top of every page and select Tutorials and type Turn on and off Features.
You will get all kinds of options. Such as:

Windows Features - Turn On or Off

and many more.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/291784-error-message-turn-windows-features-off.html
Relevancy 65.36%

hi i am following one of the tutorials to improve vista performance

i im performing the turn off windows features

i unchecked windows meeting space as i dont use it and games solitaire etc

clicked ok and message appeared may take several mins to cxomplete that was 30mins or more ago and still not finished? also the little progress bar is not filling up with green or even moving side to side as it does normally?

is this ok or is something not right?

thanks

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/299133-followed-tutorial-turn-off-windows-features-but-wont-finish.html
Relevancy 65.36%

As the tittle says, my search box is missing and the box at turn Windows features on or off is checked, I don?t not what else to do I tried restoring and it dint work. By the way I don?t have windows 7 cd because my computer was pre-loaded so I don?t have the disc.

Ill be glad if someone can help me

Thanks.

A:search box missing ( turn windows features on or off's box cheked)

Hi Yucali

To save me time typing try this site. Windows Search - Turn On or Off It may help.............Let me know.

Abedrax

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/147710-search-box-missing-turn-windows-features-offs-box-cheked.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I see where one of the performance enhancements recommended is to disable unneeded "Features" in the Program & Features section of Control Panel. The impact of disabling some of the features is obvious, but in some cases it's not so obvious whether I need to leave a feature installed or not based on how I use my system and the applications that I have installed (for example, Microsoft.NET Framework, Remote Differential Compression, etc.). I have tried searching for a description of each "Feature" and how to determine whether it might be needed or not, but have been unable to locate a good discussion or description of each "Feature". Can anyone direct me to a source of this info. Thanks.

A:Features Question - Program & Features

Quote: Originally Posted by Tomel

I see where one of the performance enhancements recommended is to disable unneeded "Features" in the Program & Features section of Control Panel. The impact of disabling some of the features is obvious, but in some cases it's not so obvious whether I need to leave a feature installed or not based on how I use my system and the applications that I have installed (for example, Microsoft.NET Framework, Remote Differential Compression, etc.). I have tried searching for a description of each "Feature" and how to determine whether it might be needed or not, but have been unable to locate a good discussion or description of each "Feature". Can anyone direct me to a source of this info. Thanks.

Blackviper.com

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/133858-features-question-program-features.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I just got an Acer Aspire netbook with w7 starter. Although I plan on using it for just the basics, Im told that 7 Starter doesn't different backgrounds, DVD playback (via an external DVD drive, which I'd have to buy), and Windows media layer.

My question: What do I need to run Windows 7 home? OR can I achieve what I mentioned above without upgrading?

what I got:
intel atom N270
1gb memory
storage: 160GB HDD

-I don't know much about this little computer, but I got a day or two to take it back of it wont do the job. Any advice would be great.

A:windows 7 starter upgrade?? missing features question

Going to give this a bump. No one is willing to give me even a little help? that's cold :P

-I got more feedback in the Auto thread over what I drove, than actual computer related tech advice lol

I'll admit to being computer dumb, but show me some love. Who knows, your car might break and you'll need tech advice..?? (and it just so happens Im a tech). Help me and I'll return the favor

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-starter-upgrade-missing-features-question-448183.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I'm looking for a way to actually remove the folder for "Games" under "Turn Windows Features on or off" in Control panel. We need to completely remove the folder from the list so that our users can't just go in and re install the games. Thanks.

A:Remove folder from "Turn Windows Features on or off" in control panel

Do not give your users administrative power. Done.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/89917-remove-folder-turn-windows-features-off-control-panel.html
Relevancy 58.91%

As the title suggests, every time I open "turn windows features on or off" the box stays blank no matter how long I wait. I have tried several things and have searched for quite a long time for solutions, but to no avail. The things i've tried include; everything in the following - FIX Blank or Empty List in Vista Turn Windows Features On or Off (OptionalFeatures.exe), sfc /scannow, reg delete HKLM\COMPONENTS /v StoreDirty, and making sure Windows Modules Installer is running and set to manual. I'd appreciate any help and suggestions, thanks!

A:blank/empty list in "turn windows features on or off"

Is your windows install disk legit or one of those prepatched / preactivated from the torrents?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/266787-blank-empty-list-turn-windows-features-off.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Can somebody just post the whole screenshots of "Turn Windows Features ON or OFF" dialog box with all the sub-sections and sub-boxes?
I just messed up with turning random features on and off. That's why I need them.
Thanks in Advance. :)

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/439725-default-screenshots-turn-windows-features-off.html
Relevancy 58.48%

When I click on "Turn Features On or Off" in the Programs and Features folder, the window opens up but no Features are displayed. Does anyone know of a solution for this problem?

A:No Features to turn On or Off

Hello Christo, and welcome to Vista Forums.

You might see if this can help you.

The "Windows Features" dialog box is empty in Windows Vista, or you receive an error message that includes the following code when you try to use Windows Update: "0x80073712"

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/172020-no-features-turn-off.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I go to Control Panel x Program Features and then select "Turn On/Off Windows features" where the screen loads for a few seconds and then comes up empty!

I've been led to believe that the dreadfully slooooow copying in Vista is caused by something called "Remote Differential Compression" that can be remedied by turning this feature Off!

Wonder where it is?

Relevancy 58.05%

Hello In order to play an old game I need to activate the DirectPlay feature I tried to do it through the graphical interface quot Turn Windows features on and with "Turn off" features Windows on Problem and off quot but Problem with "Turn Windows features on and off" it failed and it is the same whatever Problem with "Turn Windows features on and off" the feature I try to modify I tried Problem with "Turn Windows features on and off" to do it in command lines Code dism online enable-Feature FeatureName quot DirectPlay quot But I got Code Error The requested operation failed A system reboot is required to roll back changes made The DISM log file can be found at C Windows Logs DISM dism log And here is what I found in dism log Code - - Info DISM DISM EXE - - Info DISM DISM EXE lt ----- Starting Dism exe session ----- gt - - Info DISM DISM EXE - - Info DISM DISM EXE Host machine information OS Version Running architecture amd Number of processors - - Info DISM DISM EXE Dism exe version - - Info DISM DISM EXE Executing command line dism online enable-Feature FeatureName quot DirectPlay quot - - Info DISM DISM Provider Store PID TID Getting Provider FolderManager - CDISMProviderStore GetProvider - - Info DISM DISM Provider Store PID TID Provider has not previously been encountered Attempting to initialize the provider - CDISMProviderStore Internal GetProvider - - Info DISM DISM Provider Store PID TID Loading Provider from location C WINDOWS System Dism FolderProvider dll - CDISMProviderStore Internal GetProvider - - Info DISM DISM Provider Store PID TID Connecting to the provider located at C WINDOWS System Dism FolderProvider dll - CDISMProviderStore Internal LoadProvider - - Info DISM DISM Manager PID TID physical location path C - CDISMManager CreateImageSession - - Info DISM DISM Manager PID TID Event name for current DISM session is Global E E - C- FB- A - E E D - CDISMManager CheckSessionAndLock - - Info DISM DISM Manager PID TID Create session event x for current DISM session and event name is Global E E - C- FB- A - E E D - CDISMManager CheckSessionAndLock - - Info DISM DISM Manager PID TID Copying DISM from quot C WINDOWS System Dism quot - CDISMManager CreateImageSessionFromLocation - - Info DISM DISM Manager PID TID Successfully loaded the ImageSession at quot F TEMP D BCE C- F - ECE-AF - E BDA F quot - CDISMManager LoadRemoteImageSession - - Info DISM DISM Image Session PID TID Instantiating the Provider Store - CDISMImageSession get ProviderStore - - Info DISM DISM Provider Store PID TID Initializing a provider store for the IMAGE session type - CDISMProviderStore Final OnConnect - - Info DISM DISM Provider Store PID TID Provider has not previously been encountered Attempting to initialize the provider - CDISMProviderStore Internal GetProvider - - Info DISM DISM Provider Store PID TID Loading Provider from location F TEMP D BCE C- F - ECE-AF - E BDA F OSProvider dll - CDISMProviderStore Internal GetProvider - - Info DISM DISM Provider Store PID TID Connecting to the provider located at F TEMP D BCE C- F - ECE-AF - E BDA F OSProvider dll - CDISMProviderStore Internal LoadProvider - - Info DISM DISM OS Provider PID TID Defaulting SystemPath to C - CDISMOSServiceManager Final OnConnect - - Info DISM DISM OS Provider PID TID Defaulting Windows folder to C Windows - CDISMOSServiceManager Final OnConnect - - Info DISM DISM OS Provider PID TID Host OS verion is - CDISMOSServiceManager SetDllSearchPath - - Warning DISM DISM OS Provider PID TID Unable to set the DLL search path to the servicing stack folder C Windows may not point to a valid Windows folder - CDISMOSServiceManager Final OnConnect - - Info DISM DISM Provider Store PID TID Attempting to initialize the logger from the Image Session - CDISMProviderStore Final OnConnect - - Info DISM DISM Provider Store PID TID Provider has not previously been encountered Attempting to initialize the provider - CDISMProviderStore Internal GetP... Read more

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/40284-problem-turn-windows-features-off.html
Relevancy 58.05%

When I click on turn window features on or off, a new window opens. It says "Please Wait". Then nothing comes finally. I am left with a blank white window. I cannot turn any features on or off. I ran the command Sfc /scannow in cmd with administrative privilage. But I am in vein.
PLEASE HELP

A:"Turn Windows features on or off" not working

A system restore or sfc scan are in order. But heres this thread which nicely sums up various things, people have tried, so try out one by one.

"Turn Windows features on or off" empty

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/176370-turn-windows-features-off-not-working.html
Relevancy 58.05%

sorry if this is in the wrong area My quot turn windows features on and off quot box is blank this is a known error with many 'solutions' that have not worked in my case I've reinstalled win prof x twice for a total of installs somewhere along the line of installing my standard programs all of which work no issues ect my quot turn windows features on and features off" and "turn on Bypassing windows off quot box will go blank I tried figuring out what program triggered this behavior by reinstalling and restarting after every program installed and checking the box it was Bypassing "turn windows features on and off" a different program that triggered the event from reinstall to reinstall so that's telling me it's not a specific program that's triggering it anyway I don't have hours to reinstall windows and my programs every night so I'd like to know if there is a workaround ie registry entries that I can edit to enable features and programs from my understanding of how quot turn windows features on and off quot works it must only be changing a registry entry or editing a config file that tells the OS not to load those features as in the documentation it states that the programs and features are not uninstalled they're just disabled so is there a group of registry entries or config file that the quot turn windows features on and off quot dialog edits that I can access manually additionally I'm really not interested in trying to fix the box I'm interested in turning the TIFF image parser on IE off and windows search back on don't ask if you can't answer my question and you're not sure if it's possible please refrain from making some reference to a tutorial I've already tried or some snide comment about how my install must not be legit or a did a quot custom install quot like it's some sort of voodoo on the other hand if you're ABSOLUTELY SURE it can't be done please feel free to tell me that I'm up that proverbial creek with no paddle

A:Bypassing "turn windows features on and off"

Well yes, I'd have to if this is a legit OS. The only thing I can think of is that it's a badly pirated copy. Maybe try /sfc scannow from a cmd prompt. Maybe someone more knowledgeable has a better idea.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/92729-bypassing-turn-windows-features-off.html
Relevancy 57.62%

When I try to enable faxing I get the following error message "an error has occurred. Not all features were successfully changed" I use Vista Business

Indeed I am unable to change any Vista Features either adding or removing

Hoping someone can help?

Thanks
Adrian

A:Vista Features Will Not Turn On Or Off

I'm having the same problem with my Vista Ultimate on a Gateway Tablet.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-features-will-not-turn-on-or-off.626024/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi all,

really stumped on this one

device is a windows 10 surface tablet (LTSB), that was working fine on a domain. Linked to a WSUS, and has sccm installed.

I went into windows turn windows features on and off and enabled asp.net 4.5 or was it 4.6 and rebooted, now powershell does not work, certain application that require .net do not load. It complaining that .net is not installed, and when I try installing .net 3.5 and even 4.6 it says its already installed but turned off in windows features.

its happened twice now, the first time was when trying to install visual studio community. I got the tablet wiped/reimaged and put back on the corporate network. and Its happened again.

Can't even load gpedit, well it loads but then complains about mmc snap in when going into configuration

any suggestion? i've done all the dism, sfc/scannow stuff. it came up with corruption but thats all repaired now

help!!!

A:Turn on/off features blank

just for anyone else's record

the only way to fix this is to get the same build iso, and do an "upgrade"
this repairs the corruption.

what an absolute pain!

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/41946-turn-off-features-blank.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Whenever I try to remove Internet Printing On/Off Installation on Turn Features a vLited Client using Turn On Off Windows Features OR using OCSETUP my system errors out likely because I have removed components with vLite The system runs REALLY well and the Event Log is clean other Turn On/Off Features on a vLited Installation than when I try to defeat a feature The errors come from trying to set packages to either a staged or installed state likely because their missing When I used Turn On Off Windows Features I receive the error An error has occurred Not all of the features were successfully changed Does anyone know of a good guide as to what registry components would need removal so that I could get this functionality back The usual SFC reinstall options are not what I'm looking for since I wish to keep the lighter installation I have corrected a lot of stuff with the System Update Readiness Tool so that's been a BIG help I have removed all of the missing packages and components from HKLM Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion ComponentBased Servicing Thanks all

A:Turn On/Off Features on a vLited Installation

Perhaps someone could answer this for me regarding "Visibility" states of packages in the following registry path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\[pick a package]

Each packages shows a key called "Visibility" which I believe shows if the packages is visible in Turn on/off Windows Features. If this is true, what are the Visibility states? I've seen both "1" and "2" but it appears to make no difference.

What I'm attemting to do is try to remove packages of my choice, without using the tool because it errors out (same result if I use OCSETUP). But I would like the items to be shown as "removed" with the check box clear. Right now, they are just hidden, and I cannot be sure that the components are truly removed and not taking up CPU cycles or RAM.

Thanks everyone.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/303976-turn-off-features-vlited-installation.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Whenever I try to remove Internet Printing Client using Turn On Off Windows Features OR using OCSETUP my system errors out likely because I have removed components with vLite The system Features Turn on Installation a On/Off vLited runs REALLY well and the Event Log is clean other than when I try to defeat a feature The errors come from trying to set packages to either a staged or installed state likely because their missing When I used Turn On Off Windows Features I receive the error An error has occurred Not all of the features were successfully changed Does anyone know of a good guide as to what registry components would need Turn On/Off Features on a vLited Installation removal so that I could get this functionality Turn On/Off Features on a vLited Installation back The usual SFC reinstall options are not what I'm looking for since I wish to keep the lighter installation I have corrected a lot of stuff with the System Update Readiness Tool so that's been a BIG help I have removed all of the missing packages and components from HKLM Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion ComponentBased Servicing Thanks all

A:Turn On/Off Features on a vLited Installation

Perhaps someone could answer this for me regarding "Visibility" states of packages in the following registry path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages\[pick a package]

Each packages shows a key called "Visibility" which I believe shows if the packages is visible in Turn on/off Windows Features. If this is true, what are the Visibility states? I've seen both "1" and "2" but it appears to make no difference.

What I'm attemting to do is try to remove packages of my choice, without using the tool because it errors out (same result if I use OCSETUP). But I would like the items to be shown as "removed" with the check box clear. Right now, they are just hidden, and I cannot be sure that the components are truly removed and not taking up CPU cycles or RAM.

Thanks everyone.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-vista/125687-turn-off-features-vlited-installation.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi all,
I'm using windows7 - 64bit . My software install required .net framework 2.0 sp1.
but when I install .net framework I catch the error: 'You must use "Turn Windows features on or off" in the Control Panel to install or configure Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 SP1"

Please tell me the way to resolved the problem above;
Thanks.

A:'You must use "Turn Windows features on or off"

What software are you trying to install? .NET framework should already be installed, unless you removed it..

Do you know how to get to Control Panel, Programs, Turn Windows features on or off?

Windows Features - Turn On or Off

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/32865-you-must-use-turn-windows-features-off.html
Relevancy 56.33%

don't know the difference I'm not don't features 100% on off "working complete turn computer" great with computers The tag on the computer says but the information on "working on features 100% complete don't turn off computer" the literature that came with computer says it's Windows "working on features 100% complete don't turn off computer" I just got this computer a week ago It's the ASUS Transformer T T Laptop Tablet The computer asked me to uprade yesterday at pm It ran for hours with this message working on features complete don't turn off computer It has the dots making a consistent circle next to the word Working and it's "working on features 100% complete don't turn off computer" over a black screen I let the computers battery run out Turned it on this morning and the working on features was up again and has been for hours now I have tried everything Microsoft wasn't much help I'm not sure if the keyboard is communicating with the tablet part but should that even matter since it's running on the tablet The tablet will fall asleep but won't let me turn it off How do I control this computer or am I out of luck

A:"working on features 100% complete don't turn off computer"

I'd try two things.  First I'd boot from a repair drive.  If you don't have one you can make one on another Windows 8.1 computer.  If that doesn't work, I'd boot from a live disc (like Ubuntu or Mint Linux) and save my data, then restore to factory settings.

Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536507/working-on-features-100-complete-dont-turn-off-computer/
Relevancy 53.75%

I have Windows 7 Prof x64.

My question is, when displaing all software installed and choosing more columns of information to display, they don't stay. For example, choosing Location column. Getting out of the installed programs list and then returning to it, the Location column is gone.

Is there some what to get the columns to be persistent?

Thanks in advance.

A:Question about Windows 7 Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features

The Programs and Features listing is shown to you by the Explorer app. Each time that you open/close the Windows (file) Explorer while viewing a folder (or a special view/list like the Programs and Features listing), Explorer tries to write info to the registry about how Explorer was showing you that folder. Windows (file) Explorer tries to write this "how to display a folder" info at other times besides just closing an Explorer window, but I'll not go into all of that.

Microsoft has not solved the problem that happens when these places in the registry get too big. When this happens, you may see the problem that you are experiencing - that of no longer being able to store the layout/view/column width/column selection/... info in the registry.

Below is video that I made showing registry keys being made. (I'm not suggesting that you mess with the registry.) Notice that new keys are made when visiting the folder named Temp. Deleting this Temp folder does not remove those registry keys. If you close Windows (file) Explorer while viewing a compressed folder (a ZIP file), the Explorer app tries to make keys so that it can remember how it last showed you that folder. If you delete or move that ZIP folder to another location, the original registry keys remain. So you can see how this area of the registry can fill up.

edit: I had to make this video again. I hope that I covered all of the original points.

One solution is to remove all of the entries/keys in the areas of the registry that attempt to track this info for the Explorer app... then rebuild them over time as you visit various folders (and special views like the Programs and Features listing). You can safely remove the entries by following the steps detailed in this tutorial: Folder View Settings - Reset All to Default

I opt for a more draconian solution: I change the permissions on those registry keys to prevent any app from being able to add entries in those areas; thus, the areas never get too big. But changing the permissions will cause other problems that I just live with.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/300680-question-about-windows-7-control-panel-programs-programs-features.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello.

I have a question about the "Add Features to Windows 8.1" feature, formerly Windows Anytime Upgrade. As a student, I can buy a full retail copy of Windows 8.1 Pro for only 60 euros, which is a very good deal. I plan on installing it on a desktop which already has 8.1 Core installed. I do not want to reinstall Windows on it, so I would rather use the Add Features feature. So my question is, does Add Features take retail keys or do I need to use a key specifically made for it?

A:Question about Add Features

Hello Speedbird, and welcome to Eight Forums.

If you have a Windows 8 or 8.1 key, then you could use OPTION ONE in the tutorial below to download a Windows 8.1 ISO file that you could use to create installation media with.

Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/63294-question-about-add-features.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I have an MSI 8x AGP Gforce4 TI4200. I noticed when I installed the detonator drivers that I have some new features to play with. One is antialiasing and I have it set at Quincunx the other is Anisotropic filtering it is curently set at 4x. Now what is best? I play EQ and other fast games such as Counterstrike. What can My card handle and still give performance and great look? What do these really do and should I just turn em up, down, or just off?

Please help as I have never really known what they do...

Thanks again...
CT4033

A:Question about Video card features...

I would set them to application controlled. Quincunx is NVidia's name for antialialiaing.
I don't know about EQ but CS won't benifit from higher settings.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-about-video-card-features.152647/
Relevancy 44.29%

I had heard that it is best for your computer when it is left on all the time. So I don't let it go on stand-by either. I just use the screensaver. Is this true?

Relevancy 43.86%

How to turn windows firewall off? I can't click the Turn Windows Firewall On or Off

A:How to turn windows firewall off? I can't click the Turn Windows Firew

This may have been disabled on your computer, particularly if you are in a Domain (e.g.: at work, in a library, etc).

However assuming that you have Administrator rights to your computer you should be able to turn it on and off by going to Start > Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Turn Windows Firewall on or off.

If you cannot turn the Firewall off through the above approach try the following Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

Looks for the 'Windows Firewall' Service, double click it, then click on 'Stop'.

From within the Service properties you can also stop the Firewall from starting with Windows, etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/332390-how-turn-windows-firewall-off-i-cant-click-turn-windows-firew.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi this is not another windows is 7 features windows Mac to stealing mac idea s debate thread I m just if I can find a widget that lets me do this Windows has this really cool widgets section where I can place things like sticky notes calendar weathers etc on my desktop Mac s widget feature though can be activated or hidden with the mouse wheel click I find this small feature to hide Mac features to windows 7 and show your widgets with a click of a mouse very convenient and user friendly I m wondering if windows has this feature in their settings perhaps I missed out or perhaps they didn t thought of this if so can I be directed to the setting that allow me to hide and show my desktop widgets If windows doesn t have it can I tweak it or a software that allow me to do this here s an example of what I am talking about mac http jkontherun files wordpress com mac osx dashboard jpg windows http lh ggpht com ix DxfiCgw Syy AlSCKI AAAAAAAABCU dqpcTweg oA windows- -gadgets- jpg thanks updates I know when you right click on the desktop you could select the settings to hide gadgets which of course works well enough although less appealing than one simple click or quot ctrl wheel Click quot it s these little things that makes using a computer feel great easy and nice I ve found a software that somewhat does this for me btw although I have not tried it any other suggestions are welcomed perhaps Microsoft would add this into their SP release http www sevenforums com projects -transparency-project html nbsp

A:Mac features to windows 7

I've read this
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/01/23/installing-windows-7-on-a-mac/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mac-features-to-windows-7.916782/
Relevancy 43.86%

In the "Windows Features" window where you can Turn Windows features on or off, is there a list or table describing what each feature is? I would like to get a detail description of what I get from turning them off and on. I know what some of them do but not all.

A:Windows Features

Originally Posted by Lastaut

In the "Windows Features" window where you can Turn Windows features on or off, is there a list or table describing what each feature is? I would like to get a detail description of what I get from turning them off and on. I know what some of them do but not all.

I dont know if there is a list but we would be happy to explain whatever items you dont understand.

Sorry

Ken

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/256577-windows-features.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I think windows 8 will be the strongest OS there is. Hope to see more

A:Windows 8 Features

Windows 8 would be strongest and may be more costly.. Will Google launch Chromium in desktop version soon?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/3927-windows-8-features.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I mean, I love it.. IT's the fastest OS I have ever worked on with a Windows platform. But, I really don't see anything that I would use on an everyday basis.

All I see, is Homegroups, an improved taskbar and extreme increase in speed. What am I missing?

A:Is it me, or does Windows 7 not have many new features?

Wouldn't you use 'an improved taskbar and extreme increase in speed' everyday? Some/most of the improvements are 'under the hood' so to speak. That's why it's faster. How about Aero snap or Libraries? I love those features. I also find that hardware that I had to fiddle with to get working now self installs. Yipee.

Gary

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/5537-me-does-windows-7-not-have-many-new-features.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Dear Guys, Microsoft announced Windows 8.1 release date. so, from June 26th windows 8.1 update will be available.

*what kind of features are you expecting on windows 8.1?

Here I'm expecting some 8.1 features...

1.NFC Tap-To-Pair Printing

2.Native Miracast Wireless Display

3.Broadband Tethering (Hotspot)

4.Start Button

5.Metro App Resolution compatibility.

~-_-~

A:what are the features should be in windows 8.1?

Here's one. The ADVANCED SCREEN PROPERTIES window, as existed since Win95-B.

This screen allows all Screen Objects to be re-colored according to the User's Demands/Desires.  Historically, this screen has written to umpteen registry entries.

Those registry entries still exist in Win8, but this screen does not, so there's no easy access to someone changing the Color Bar or Scroll Bar's color.

Of course, the Start Menu folder structure still exists, too, but again, Ballmer's wisdom excludes User Customization from any of these individualized UI options.  "You must use a Theme!  We can sell you themes!  We can't let users decide for themselves without squeezing more money from them!!"  - Steve Ballmer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/498114/what-are-the-features-should-be-in-windows-81/
Relevancy 43.86%

i am going to use windows 8 os ,it is better to use windows 7 or windows 8? what r the new features available

A:what are the new features available in windows 8 os

As to is it better to use 7 than 8 it is a matter of personal choice
A fair number of people cannot settle with 8, mainly due to the lack of the traditional start menu etc, although 8.1 which will be a free upgrade from 8 to be released in October this year will have some features more like the traditional windows OS

Many people have installed one of the third party programs to provide that traditional start menu

At this stage I would say wait for the release of 8.1

As to the
What are the new features
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/tutorial?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_Hero_Home_HowTo_Pos1_04

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/windows/3284198/microsoft-windows-8-review/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-are-the-new-features-available-in-windows-8-os.1108582/
Relevancy 43.86%

Been trying to get the game Spider Solitairy and not able to because when I go to 'Windows features' to click something 'on' there is nothing showing in that window to click. 

I got Windows 7 Pro refunished Elite Book which I was told was an ex-business person who would not permit games of any sort.  I'm about to give up folks!!!  Still wouldn't mind a bit of relaxation now & then

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1dd88f91-eef2-4536-9f79-2ad8f804b069/windows-features-on-or-off?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 43.86%

I just installed Win 10 on my Toshiba laptop, upgrading from 8.1. I tried to create a shortcut the way it's always been done - right click select "create shortcut" but not in Windows 10. Went online to find out how to do it but I guess 10 is too new and no good explanation out there. So how does one create a website shortcut for the desktop in Windows 10?. To clarify, I mean if one is on a web site and wishes to create an icon (shortcut) for placement on their desktop. Thanks in advance...

A:windows 10 features

Hi did you see this one Create Website Shortcuts on your Windows desktop

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/windows-10-features-1025282.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi,

I am trying to install Windows Media Center and follow instructions to do this but add features does not come up.

So I point mouse into top right corner and click on search. In search type in add features and then it searches and all I get up is the attached.

Anyone advise please?

Thanks

A:Add Features To Windows 8.1

Does it show up in Control Panel?

Jim

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/34745-add-features-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi.

Can someone of you guys tell me where the folder is located that contains the files or shortcuts that show up in the "Programs and Features" window?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

A:"Programs and Features" Question

Originally Posted by tommygun

Hi.

Can someone of you guys tell me where the folder is located that contains the files or shortcuts that show up in the "Programs and Features" window?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

As far as I can tell, the "Programs and Features" list is hard coded, depending on which version of Vista you have.

Is there any particular reason you need to know in which "folder" it is stored?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/199364-programs-features-question.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Wife updated Norton twice and had two Norton Firewalls and Windows Firewalls running together. Paid twice for the 2 updates. Removed Norton Completely and then re-installed Norton 360 Security Version 5, but am still unable to turn off Windows Firewall under Windows XP Pro and also cannot turn on Automatic updates, getting message "we're Sorry, the Security Center could NOT change your Automatic Windows Update setting. To try changing these settings, go to SYSTEM in Control Panel. On the Automatic Updates Tab, select AUTOMATIC (recommended) and then click OK. None of this works, then tried using an app to reset Security Settings and that didn't work either. Any suggestions on what I try next. I would like to reinstall Norton 360 Internet Security Version 5, I know there are those out there that hate Norton and the overhead that comes with it, but over the years I've gotten used to it and I like it very much. Thank you, PhotoRay

A:In XP Pro can't turn off Windows Firewall or Turn on Automatic Updates

How did you remove Norton in the first place?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/397168/in-xp-pro-cant-turn-off-windows-firewall-or-turn-on-automatic-updates/
Relevancy 43.43%

This is driving me crazy. My HP has Windows 7 and everytime it connects to the internet (wireless connection) Windows Live Messenger opens down in the left hand corner taskbar near the start menu. I close it, and fifteen minutes later it will open again.
I opened the options and unchecked the boxes pretaining to 'Run Windows Live Messenger when windows starts' but it still repeatedly opens. I use hotmail, but i really have no use for Messenger. The program is not listed under add/remove programs. Someone please help me turn this thing off.

A:Solved: Windows Live Messenger-TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF!

It should be listed in Programs & Features under Windows Live Messenger or Windows Live Essentials. If you still can't find it listed then go to get.live.com and re-download the installer, reinstall it, then uninstall it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-live-messenger-turn-it-off-turn-it-off.898936/
Relevancy 43.43%

Whenever I bring up the "Turn Windows features on or off" dialog, there are no items listed to select from. In the event viewer, I see two error messages:
The server {752073A1-23F2-4396-85F0-8FDB879ED0ED} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.Windows could not start the Windows Modules Installer service on Local Computer.Error 1450: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.Manually starting the Windows Module Installer (WMI) service generates the latter message.I have the following applications installed:Visual Studio 2008 ProfessionalSQL Server 2008 DeveloperAdobe CS3Microsoft Office 2007Sunbelt VipreAny ideas on where to start looking?

A:Cannot Add Windows Features - Windows Module Installer Error 1450

I can't take credit for this, but I foud resolutin Resolution - 1) In the registry we must set the Registry Size Limit to "unlimited": HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control Key: RegistrySizeLimit Type: REG_DWORD Value: 0xffffff (4294967295) 2) Reboot 3) As a Administrator open a Command Prompt and run "SFC /SCANNOW". The command should complete successfully and if any errors were found, they should be corrected. ON MY PC IT WORKS! GOOD LUCK!Here is the link for a video, which explain in more detail how to fix this problem!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BQwnmK88Oo

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/03452861-6d21-4f61-bbb9-56a5b8666a73/cannot-add-windows-features-windows-module-installer-error-1450?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 43.43%

Top 10 Hidden Windows 10 Features

Many of Windows 10?s key features have been talked about at length, but the operating system actually comes with a lot of great features that aren?t as immediately obvious to everyday users and even enthusiasts. These features don?t get the attention that they should, so without further ado, let?s get on with the top 10 hidden features of Windows 10.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/top-10-hidden-windows-10-features.50036/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello, i've posted this in the Windows 7/Vista section as there doesn't seem to be a Windows 8 section yet. I've got a Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key, and the email from Microsoft says to use "Add Features". But it's not there. I've got Windows 8 Pro N, i've searched "add features" but there's nothing found, I've pressed CTRL + X and selected System, but there's nothing about adding any features. How can I open Add Features?

A:Windows 8 Pro Add Features Missing

Moved to Windows 8 section . .

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/windows-8-pro-add-features-missing-678499.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I'm sure there has been some discussion regarding the issues I shall disclose in a moment And I'm sure there are many who would agree with me and those that would say quot I can't for the life of me understand why you don't like quot So here we go Windows Two features Windows abhore! 7 I Search I used to use search extensively in XP with it's bolean logic wildcards Two Windows 7 features I abhore! drive selection time and date options etc Now I search for a simple phrase like jpg and get absolutely nothing I've made some tweaks via the search preferences dialogue but still find very little It's like Windows search has fell into a deep sleep a coma really Searching the internet for help on using Windows search has little to offer I understand that cataloging is used for lightening fast search results and I do get lightning fast blank window with no files found Anyone have a decent tutorial on making windows search function as CONVENIENTLY as Windows XP At present I am using a third party software quot Locate quot which also catalogs data an it actually works Libraries What the Two Windows 7 features I abhore! I thought I'd make use of libraries for ease of access for my mother but when you try to go to My Pictures it seems to list multiple instances of folders called quot My Pictures quot They are not actually duplicate folders but rather shortcuts to the folder that is listed right above or below it Yeah What the I used a tweak to remove the libraries from the Windows Explorer view and edited the places bar to direct the user to the alternate folder where new My Documents My Pictures My Video's are located but the Open dialog shows the libraries folders in the right pane a confusing mess made more confusing Not sure of an easy answer to this mess

A:Two Windows 7 features I abhore!

The tweaks apparently broke your system. When I search for *.jpg, I get a few thousand results. This is a bit long but may help.

Windows Search - Configure and Use

When you click on the library "Pictures" is doesn't show you pictures?

Libraries Under the Hood

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/319618-two-windows-7-features-i-abhore.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi There
This is about W10 Mail that I now have in the newly 'clean installed' Windows 10 in my Laptop that recently crashed with File explorer.

The issue is that this does not have the usual features my other 2 PCs show up in the Settings, for example, Personalisation. All I can see are these: Accounts, Background Picture, Reading, Options, Help, Trust Center etc. Why and how does this happen? Background
Picture is never seen before. Please can someone guide me to understand how I can get the 'personalisation' into it or get all right as it should not be in anyway different from PC to PC. Thanks.
Kind Regards

Konnan Ramu

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/97e27552-1c9d-4044-9ee7-4e02e783b34e/windows-10-mail-features?forum=windowssteadystate
Relevancy 43.43%

I have done some extensive web searches and research through several sources specifically trying to find some concrete answers pertaining to features new SPECIFICALLY to Windows 7 that have not been present >XP.
Not really looking for a reference novel, just potentially some ideas on directions to focus on.
Maybe some of your favorite features that are Windows 7 born?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

A:New features strictly new to Windows 7

If you've done extensive research, you'd easily have them in front of you. If you had to give someone a good reason(s) to use Windows 7, I'd tell them it is newer technology that is faster and more secure, that makes better use of your available hardware. It's more stable and reliable, and all current hardware and software, including drivers, is designed to work with it, as opposed to a decade plus old operating system.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/193564-new-features-strictly-new-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Dear all,
I have installed fresh windows 8.1 enterprise RTM 64 bit.
Some features are disable.
Smart screen
http://i.imgur.com/yUMsLnH.jpg

When I start safe mode with networking, It loads the network driver but show no network available.
http://i.imgur.com/jIJxPiU.jpg (captured in safe mode with networking)

Kindly help. I need it all.

A:Some features are disable in Windows 8.1

that first warning is for admins to assist. Contact your local administrator to have them grant you perms to turn on smart screen.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/some-features-are-disable-in-windows-8-1.1116023/
Relevancy 43.43%

I recently purchased a mac laptop I went to set up my printer sharing on my windows machine and I am getting a blank screen in Windows Features preventing me from making changes to allow this Below is my checksur log file Checking System Update Readiness Binary Version Package Version - - Checking Windows Servicing Packages Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs f CBS MUM Corrupt x F servicing Packages Package for KB bf ad e amd mum Line f CBS Catalog Corrupt x B servicing Packages Package for KB bf ad e amd cat f CBS MUM Corrupt x F servicing Packages Package for KB SP bf ad e amd mum Line Checking Package Watchlist Checking Component Watchlist Windows Features blank Checking Packages Checking Component Store Summary Seconds executed Found errors CBS MUM Corrupt Total count CBS Catalog Corrupt Total count Unavailable repair files servicing packages Package for KB bf ad e amd mum servicing Windows Features blank packages Package for KB bf ad e amd mum servicing packages Package for KB SP bf ad e amd mum servicing packages Package for KB bf ad e amd cat servicing packages Package for KB bf ad e amd cat servicing packages Package for KB SP bf ad e amd cat Customer Experience report successfully uploaded Thank Windows Features blank you for participating For more information see the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program on the Microsoft web site I think this came about after backing out of a Windows upgrade I have tried uninstalling KB with no success error code x f so I am hoping repair of these mum and cat files will fix my issue Can someone provide me with these files and advise of the locations to place them gtrtoolman

A:Windows Features blank

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and select Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt, it will look similar to the image below.

Copy and paste sfc /scannow in the command prompt, then press Enter to start the scan.  

If the scan finds no integrity  problems the scan will stop.  Type in exit, then press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished and if intergrity issues are found, please do the following.

Click on the Start orb then copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Double click on this icon to  
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

If this fails to place the icon on your desktop run the command from the Command Prompt.  Use the instructions I provided at the start of this tutorial.

This log may be very large, if you have problems posting it try breaking it into smaller parts.  When you copy these parts you will highlight the section you are going to copy.  If you leave that section highlighted it will give you a quick reference for where you left off.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/610756/windows-features-blank/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello,

Just recently, all of my Windows 8 programs are not working, it won't run. Programs such as in the picture below are not working, music, Skype, Camera, Mail, People, Messaging, Calendar, Finance, Weather, Maps, OneDrive, etc. Usually when I hit function key and camera key, the Camera will show up but now it won't show.

Also, there is this pop up message when I try to open music with Windows 8 Music player, as shown on the picture.

It says, invalid value for registry. But I can still open musics and videos with iTunes and VLC though. Just the Music player and Video player built-in on Windows 8 is not working.

A:All Windows 8 Features Not Working

Hello Sparkles,

Since this has just recently happened, you might see if doing a system restore using a restore point dated before this happened may be able to quickly undo and fix it for you.

System Restore - How to Do in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/57308-all-windows-8-features-not-working.html
Relevancy 43.43%

First of all I really love the Windows 8.1 experience. Opening up my computer straight to the desktop sure beats having to go through the Metro screen first. But... I really miss the Godmode {ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}. I loved how the Godmode worked in Windows 8, but it just does not seem to work at all in Windows 8.1. Also, the Windows Experience Index, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-is-windows-experience-index#What-is-windows-experience-index=windows-8. I really liked this feature, I see that there is a way to access this feature in Windows 8.1, (http://www.cnet.com/how-to/find-your-windows-experience-index-scores-in-windows-8-1/) but I just can not seem to get that to work for me. These are a couple of features that I really miss.

A:Some Features I Miss In Windows 8.1

What features from the Godmode are missing between Windows 8 and Windows 8.1? Also, the Windows Experience Index has been removed since Windows 7 and it's a good thing if you ask me, now it's always refreshing when it needs to and Windows doesn't depend on it for some graphical features like Aero. Way easier to troubleshoot graphic issues now with that.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/567513/some-features-i-miss-in-windows-81/
Relevancy 43.43%

Taskbar UserTile Alpha 7.1

AngelWZR on deviantART

Aura~ Aero Auto-Colorization

Aura

A Guy

A:2 Windows 8 features, ported to 7

Thought i might add this...

Download Windows 8 Clock Screensaver for Windows 7 | The Windows Club

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/155728-2-windows-8-features-ported-7-a.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Does Windows 7 have the ability to play CD's and DVD's? Can it burn CD's? What about photo editing?

A:Windows 7 Organic Features

Yes to all - for photo editing try Adobe PhotoShop

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/27182-windows-7-organic-features.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Dear all,
I have installed fresh windows 8.1 enterprise RTM 64 bit.
Some features are disable.
Smart screen
http://i.imgur.com/yUMsLnH.jpg
hibernate option
http://i.imgur.com/NO2ivVw.jpg
When I start safe mode with networking, It loads the network driver but show no network

available.
http://i.imgur.com/jIJxPiU.jpg (captured in safe mode with networking)

Kindly help. I need it all.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/some-features-are-disable-in-windows-8-1.4062145/
Relevancy 43.43%

I've bought acer E5-573G-34QR (Aspire e 15) comes with windows 8.1 preinstalled , I've activated windows 8.1 but when i try to use additional features of windows 8.1 it ask product key.

Solved!
Go to Solution.

A:how can i use additional features of windows 8.1 w...

it depends which kind of feature are you looking for.by the way the license key is on your BIOS, so you don't need it to activate windows. here some difference on windows 8 versions, it's the same for 8.1:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions All mentioned editions have the ability to use language packs, enabling multiple user interface languages.[5] (This functionality was previously only available in Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise.) However, in China and other emerging markets, a variation of Windows 8 without this capability, called Windows 8 Single Language, is sold. This edition can be upgraded to Windows 8 Pro.[14]

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-8-1/how-can-i-use-additional-features-of-windows-8-1-without-license/td-p/369229
Relevancy 43.43%

I was going to update and remove some of the "windows features" that are enabled under Vista, but when the display box comes up, it is empty. I have tried to use the Microsoft KB931712 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712) solution, but it tells me that it cannot delete the registry entry because it does not exist.

Has anyone had any luck with any other solutions to make it work (short of either paying Microsoft or reinstalling the OS)?

Thanks.

A:Windows Features Has Empty Box

If the registry key doesn't exist, try creating it. BUT - there are several sub-keys beneath it, so this may not work for you - I'd suggest backing up your registry before trying this!!!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/99976/windows-features-has-empty-box/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have a Sony VAIO laptop, since I upgraded it form Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, whenever I reboot my computer or it wakes up from sleep mode, I receive a notification indicating,
"Windows is installing new features, it will take few minutes",  but after a few minute there is another message, saying
"there was a problem and we were not able to install features". I talked with a Windows technician, he ran Windows Safety Scanner (SFC \scannow) on my computer, which resulted in
not finding any problem and the error notification is still there.
Is there a solution for that and is there a way I be able to check which additional features are added to my OS by Windows and at what date?
Any help to resolve this issue is greatly appreciated because it is getting very annoying.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7e8867d3-2efa-407a-bbef-8416f353745e/windows-10-new-features-not-installed?forum=w8itprohardware
Relevancy 43.43%

i bought my netbook used a couple weeks ago. it has windows 7 home premium but some of the features r missing. for ex, my search bar in my start menu isnt there. i dont have access to gadgets and cant find them anywhere on my computer. any help appreciated

Relevancy 43.43%

Hey guys, I am deciding of should I get Windows 8 or not, and I want to know what features are standing out most. What do you think?

A:What features stand out of Windows 8?

Speed. Boot, shutdown, and general speed. Everything is faster, substantially so in some places. That and the fact that focus will now be on 8 and not 7 as the months roll by.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/10988-what-features-stand-out-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 43.43%

My system is windows 7 x64 ultimate.
I have lost "windows features on or off" at Programs and Features as attached picture.

Any comment on this problem would be appreciated.

A:windows features disappeared!

I think it is just taking sometime time to load. It will appear after some times...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/19687-windows-features-disappeared.html
Relevancy 43.43%

In the control panel, under System and Security, there is a section called "Add features to Windows 8". It then asks if I want to let W8 take over my computer.

I didn't go any further. Anyone know what this does? If anything?

A:Setting: Add features to Windows 8?

Hello Brking,

The "Add features to Windows 8" option is the replacement for Anytime Upgrade. It allows you to upgrade your edition of Windows 8 to include Windows Media Center.

Add Features to Windows 8

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/26335-setting-add-features-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 43.43%

when going to programs and features i find that my programs do not populate.
is there another way to uninstall programs besides in programs and features?
also, is there a setting in the program that I need to correct?
i am new to this problem and would appreate your help.
thanks
heyshaker

A:Programs and Features Windows 7

Not that I am currently aware of. click programs and features, then click uninstall programs or features, and wait about 3 minutes (i know it may seem like a really long time, perhaps you could feed the dog, make lunch; in other words let it sit for a little bit). If it still wont pop up, then type cmd in the start menu and RIGHT click it, select run as administrator. type sfc /scannow and let it scan for as long as it needs (usually less than 5 minutes).

You can also optimize windows a bit (no need to buy anything, but it does have a lot of different suggestions): Optimize Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/197855-programs-features-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi all, I once ran into an article on here where it listed things to do for a drive that is getting dangerously full. It has LOTS of steps and was very detailed. Some that I remember: Disabling Aero, disabling the windows splash screen. I know there were a lot more, too. I need to find that article again because I would like to re enable at least Aero and the splash screen, in particular. If I remember correctly, there were a lot of things changed in my Services. I tried to re enable Aero myself but the "typical" way of doing it doesn't work and it errors. So I'm assuming however it was that I did it was done at a deeper level. Can anyone help me find this article so I can go and redo some of the things I did.

A:Re enabling certain Windows features

Hi there ... Is this what you are looking for .... If not scroll down to the bottom of the page in the Link below you may find it there ....

Optimize Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/312845-re-enabling-certain-windows-features.html
Relevancy 43.43%

If I buy a new computer with windows XP what are the major differences I should expect? I am currently running windows 2000.

I have heard that with XP you can store all your personal info. in a central microsoft database. I don't want to do that.

Any changes in dial-up networking?

Also I would need to use at least one dos-based program (not sure what source code). Is this and any other common windows 2000 programs incompatible with XP?

What is the min. processor speed & memory do you recommend if all I am adding are a few software programs?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-features-and-compatibility.184898/
Relevancy 43.43%

I'm using a windows Vista Ultimate..But i've encountered a problem with windows feature.I seem to be missing a few options?like Games, IIS, and more.I need to install IIS..But there are no option for IISclick the picture for more detail..Please advise.

A:Windows Features Problem

Go to Start...Control Panel...Programs...Turn Windows Features On or Off
Click the check boxes to turn them on and click OK.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/106788/windows-features-problem/
Relevancy 43.43%

I disabled the following vista features and a download crashed (PAINT.NET) which i think relies on Microsoft's .NET Framework 3.5

I disabled these features -

games
internet printing client
tablet pc optional components
windows meeting place
xps viewer
remote differential compression
windows DFS Replication Service
windows powershell
windows powershell integrated scripting environment
feature pack for wireless

Which one caused the crash?

when i enabled them all again, the download worked fine.

A:disabling windows features

Simple ! Try disabling one at a time then you'll come across the one thats causing the problem !

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/349092/disabling-windows-features/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi,

Whenever a new pop up box appears it looks like this

http://i.imgur.com/E9Mnbh0.png

When I move the box a bit then all of the elements appear but the pictures do not.

Any solution please?

A:Windows 7 pop up box features missing?

Download, install declining Trial version, update and run a full scan with Malwarebytes
and SUPERAntiSpyware .

Then run SFC /SCANNOW Command.

Report back results.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/360700-windows-7-pop-up-box-features-missing.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hey!I was invited to Windows Messenger Live BETA by a friend and I download it and installed it and found that it was much better than MSN Messenger with better User Interface and features, aftewr installing Windows Live Messenger I signed up for Windows Live Mail BETA that provides 2GB Space! While I signed up for that I came across Windows Live Security Center BETA and Windows Live OneCare BETA, they both are Anti-Viruses and Anti-Hacking programs and seems promising I just wanted to know what you guys think would it collide with my other anti-applications?Windows Live? Messenger betaWindows Live? Mail betaWindows? Live? OneCare? betaWindows Live? Safety Center betaOther Windows Live BETA Applications

A:Windows Live Features!

These may not collide with other applications, but since these are BETA releases, they may (since it is MS, change that to will) have bugs and glitches, and they may interfere with other versions.You can certainly play with them, since you are testing them (that is, after all, what a BETA release is for), but do not rely on any of these releases to supplant proven applications, especially in "mission-critical" areas like your computer's security.Regards,John

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/46940/windows-live-features/
Relevancy 43.43%

Some features of windows features windows disappearing have disappeared on my computer recently When I plug in my external hard drive or a flash drive my safely remove hardware icon that used to pop up in the lower right task bar no longer appears and the only way I can safely remove them is through shutting down disappearing windows features each time The same thing is happening when I coonect to the internet I used to get an icon down there showing my connection status but it isn t there anymore and I can t logoff the internet without utrning the computer off I have tried going into internet connections to disconnect but disappearing windows features it won t let me I also can no longer receive or install any windows updates The updates have failed for the past two months Finally at start up I get a strange window box that opens just before windows xp opens and my desktop is seen Windows won t launch until I click on the okay box The window that pops up only contains three or four nonsense symbols which change everytime it comes up Both Norton and AdAware come up clean here is a recent hijackthis log Any ideas as to what is happening Thanks Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS System Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS System CTsvcCDA exe C PROGRA Symantec NORTON GHOSTS EXE C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus IWP NPFMntor exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C WINDOWS System MsPMSPSv exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus SAVScan exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard AiO hp psc series Bin hpobrt exe C PROGRA Symantec LIVEUP LUCOMS EXE C PROGRA HEWLET AiO Shared Bin hpoevm exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard AiO Shared bin hpOSTS exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard AiO Shared bin hpOFXM exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Documents and Settings John My Documents Hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www eeescience utoledo edu R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http rd yahoo com customize sbcydsl defaults sb http www yahoo com search ie html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page bak http yahoo sbc com dsl O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - Global Startup Adobe Gamma Loader lnk C Program Files Common Files Adobe Calibration Adobe Gamma Loader exe O - Global Startup HPAiODevice hp psc series - lnk C Program Files Hewlett-Packard AiO hp psc series Bin hpobrt exe O - Global Startup Logitech Desktop Messenger lnk C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LDMConf exe O - Global Startup Microsoft Office... Read more

Relevancy 43.43%

I have windows 7 professional 64 bit and want to enable the windows games.
I go to control panel>Programs and features>Turn windows features on or off but this window if blank.

any help would be great!

A:Windows features on/off blank

It looks like your going to the right place Where are my games?
Learn about games in Windows 7

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-features-on-off-blank-630173.html
Relevancy 43.43%

What major features/service did you turn off in W7?
System Protection (Restore) -> Until I get a bigger harddrive, I'll keep it off. It is space chewing and there are so many good free backup utilities there, I use Easeus backup personally and Macrium sometimes.

Windows Search (Indexing services) -> Search will be fast as long as your files are organized and the condition is okay.

Windows Defender -> NOD32 is fine.

How about you guys?