Windows Support Forum

Problem with new user profiles

Q: Problem with new user profiles

Hello,

Every time I make a new User and log in it loads up with a black screen and the task bar and says that the system as loaded the default profile. This even happens if I log on as the system admin. My original profile loads fine but nothing else. I think It may be because the folder that holds all the basic information to make a new user profile has been deleted from my Users folder. Is there anyway of fixing this? Prohapps a place where I can download and replace that folder? I am using windows 7 ultimate 64bit. System restore has already been tried but the folder was deleted too far back to recover by that method.

Thank you for your time.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Problem with new user profiles

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Problem with new user profiles

Try this first
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

If errors are found run 3 times

If that does not work
Report back and we will try a repair install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/111481-problem-new-user-profiles.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I have no idea what is up! I have no access to user profiles, search doe not work. Cannot access hardware settings. I have no viruses or infections. I don't know where to start! I get crackling from my speakers. What is going on? My desktop is possessed!

Dell Dimension Desktop 4700
Windows XP Media
Please someone rescue me.

A:Solved: No access to user profiles, hardware profiles, search.. something is really wrong!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-no-access-to-user-profiles-hardware-profiles-search-something-is-really-wrong.620435/
Relevancy 66.65%

I have 2 seperate users on my computer (Myself and my wife) and I noticed that when I install a game, it puts a shortcut on both Desktops.

The problem comes in when I delete the game shortcut from one desktop (My wifes) it deletes it from both.

My wife does not play games and would rather not have the shortcuts on her Desktop.

How does one manage Desktop shortcuts so that they can just be in one profile and not the other?

A:User Profiles and the Desktop Problem

Hello Scorpiuscat,

Some programs will have the option during installation to allow all users or just your account access to the program.

If the shortcut is placed in the hidden C:\Users\Public\Desktop folder, then it will show up on all user account's desktop.

You can place the shortcut in the C:\Users\(user-name)\Desktop folder for any individual user account that you want the shortcut in though.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/232347-user-profiles-desktop-problem.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I tried searching for a solution to my problem but whenever I search for it I end up Profiles User problem SERVICE with the wrong problem turns out when you search for quot user profile service quot you end up with a bunch of results of peoples profile not being loaded Well I do have that exact problem but actually my version of this problem is a bit more severe than the ones I've read Normally people seem to have a corrupt User Profiles SERVICE problem profile and can sometimes be fixed by a variety of ways i e - system restore registry edit of profile User Profiles SERVICE problem files etc My problem however involved the actual services in Services msc When I load vista which was working fine last night and this morning the first thing i notice is that it's going a little slower than usual then i notice there is no log on sounds when it loads the desktop I see it's taken me to the domain administrator account or some form of temporary account It tells me there is no sound service first and then goes on to tell me there is also no internet connection and lastly tells me it cannot load limited profiles because the quot User Profiles Service quot Service has not started Naturally I go into services msc and try to start it up Yet another error tells me that the service cannot start due the file being missing I locate the file fairly swiftly and see for myself that the file is NOT missing and is where it always was system The last thing I also noticed is that when i go to task manager I see that the amount of processes has dropped significantly from the usual - to the now rather daunting total processes I then realise that A LOT of the services have not started and all come up with various errors when trying to start them again Any suggestions From here on it looks like I might have to re-install vista If you need to know it's Vista Ultimate x bit edition It's really a shame because it was working wonderfully since today they say there isn't much bit support but so far I've got all my usual programs to work on it whether it's bit or remains in bit

A:User Profiles SERVICE problem

Try posting a hijack log in the hijack log section.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/user-profiles-service-problem-246720.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Below is what I have thus far It only works on ususally the first folder but not the others I get no errors and I used quot if fso folderexists quot to not error out on folder already removed Thought it might have been a time thing since some of them have numberous temporary internet files so added wscript sleep took it back out between each folder deletion but made no difference Any and all help would be appreciated Thanks Dim FSO Folder set FSO CreateObject quot Scripting FileSystemObject quot Folder quot C Documents and Settings abaxter quot if fso folderexists folder then FSO DeleteFolder Folder True Folder quot C Documents and Settings abrown quot if fso folderexists folder then FSO DeleteFolder Folder True Folder quot C Documents Old script problem user profiles Deleting vbs and Settings bbareither quot if fso folderexists folder then FSO DeleteFolder Folder True Folder quot C Documents and Settings chorn quot if fso folderexists folder then FSO Deleting Old user profiles vbs script problem DeleteFolder Folder True Folder quot Deleting Old user profiles vbs script problem C Documents and Settings dmonk quot if fso folderexists folder then FSO DeleteFolder Folder True Folder quot C Documents and Settings abrown quot if fso folderexists folder then FSO DeleteFolder Folder True wscript quit end if end if end if end if end if end if nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/deleting-old-user-profiles-vbs-script-problem.390103/
Relevancy 65.79%

Okay so I've got a challenging problem I didn't know where I could find help and then I remembered the forum here and signed up So a long time ago I barely remember how Profiles Problem Moving) User with (Creating, except I went to the registry I Problem with User Profiles (Creating, Moving) moved my User Problem with User Profiles (Creating, Moving) folder from my SSD Drive C User Username to my hardrive under just B username which might have been my first mistake That was working just fine until I tried to install one program It drove me crazy why it kept saying it didn't have permissions I realized the program had trouble being installed in non-default admin user profiles So I said fine I really need this I'll put my userfolder back in my C drive and just change the locations of all the folders in there to my B drive I edited the registry like several guides said I must have used one of them the first time Nothing worked At one point I almost left myself without a user profile but I managed to restore it I'm back where I started but I noticed several things - I messed up my permissions and read me stuff for my User folder some programs say they can't create stuff there Is there a way to reset those My restore points don't go back enough - If I create a new user profile it doesn't exist When I log on it logs me onto a temporary one and there is no sign it was ever created in the Computer or the Advanced User Profile Settings I tried editing the registry the one that sets where new user profiles are created but it didn't work so I put it back - I'm missing my Default User because I used to foolishly deleted C Users when any program made a file there and I think that might have something to do with not putting the User Profile back in the C drive right And I can't make a new default one because I can't make new user profiles I also can't just make a new profile and move all my stuff there I'm thinking of copying one from a different windows pc but I don't know how that would work I can't really reinstall That'd be like miserable days of work I also have nowhere to backup anything as my harddrive is bigger than any other drives I own That's like my last option Suggestions What the hell could have gone wrong Also is there any way to search the registry for B Username to see if I changed anything else

A:Problem with User Profiles (Creating, Moving)

If you can't create a new account then you bollixed your registry beyond repair. Why would you make such reckless changes without having a backup image to fall back upon?

Why try to sort out such a hopeless mess when you are at the top site on the web to get a perfect Clean Reinstall?

In the future copy your active User folders to the data drive to link them back using Library - Include a Folder - Windows 7 Forums keeping empty C User folder in the library to monitor it and setting data drive as Default Save Location.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/290719-problem-user-profiles-creating-moving.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi everyone The other day our PC refused to boot presenting a blue screen with Stop c following profiles registry problem user Missing registry file failure I followed this guide - http xphelpandsupport mvps org how do i repair a stop htm - had to do the harder method as the first had no effect This seemed to fix the issue as the computer now boots successfully however all our user profiles and personal files have disappeared All programs seem to be intact although Office applications won t open instead just giving an error message broken shortcuts When I did system restore the only restore point was from back in which surprised me - perhaps I shouldn t have restored from this point There is no option to undo the restore for Missing user profiles following registry problem some reason After I d restored Windows requested the Missing user profiles following registry problem validation key before allowing me to log in which it accepted wasn t expecting it to request this either I can see that all our files are still present on the computer through Linux live disc but they seem hidden in Windows along with our user profiles Any advice would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Missing user profiles following registry problem

I wonder if you had only the one system restore point from 2010 because of doing the procedure in that link, and it cleared your more recent ones.  When I looked in the folder it mentioned (C:\WINDOWS\repair) on my system, it had the registry hives dated the last time I did a full backup (with NT Backup), which was nearly 11 months ago.  Did you do a backup in 2010, or did you initially install Windows then?My guess from looking at that procedure described is that it seems to either create a system restore point from registry hives in the above-mentioned directory, or from the Win install CD.  It's kind of a convoluted method, because there's a far simpler way to directly copy the registry hive files to the Windows registry (via a live Linux disc, as you mentioned).  I wonder if you wouldn't have been a lot better off having used a lot more recent restore point BEFORE having tried that procedure.  (Presumably they would've still been present then.)If you would happen to have any backup of your files, that would be the easiest way to restore them to usability.But if not, since your registry has been reset pretty much back to the start anyway, I'd suggest trying to repair your installation of Windows XP by performing an in-place upgrade.  You can repair a damaged Windows installation if you run Windows Setup from the Windows XP CD-ROM.  It's a shot in the dark, but it's possible it could do something for updating the registry to make your files visible again.  If not, it's not likely to make anything worse than already is the case with that old system restore.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,151070.0.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi all We are having a real issue with local profiles user profile service on our domain Our staff accounts are using local profiles When a staff member changes their password something is happening to their profiles on the machines that their local profile is stored When they try to login the machine is getting stuck at quot Please wait for the user profile service quot It never continues we have left for mins or more and profiles, hanging issue service Big profile and user user's changing :( password local with it doesn't continue We are currently having to use delprof to remove their profiles from ALL machines they have previously logged into which is a lot of hassle nbsp We first noticed this issue when we upgraded our workstations from windows to windows nbsp I was hoping that upgrading to windows would fix the issue but sadly it doesn't This is causing us major hassle on our domain It only affects people with Big issue with user's local profiles, changing password and hanging user profile service :( local profiles our students use mandatory profiles and they are not affected Our DCs are R nbsp I have trawled google but cannot find any information on this At our yearly microsoft meeting i asked our regional account manager and he couldn't believe the issue He had never heard anything like this before From the event log the only thing i can see is that it is not finishing the load of the user profile nbsp Under user profile service events it shows this Event Recieved user logon notification on session Event Registry file C Users USERNAME ntuser dat is loaded at HKU S- - - - - - - Event Logon type Regular nbsp Local profile location C Users USERNAME nbsp Profile type Regular Event Registry file C Users USERNAME AppData Local Microsoft Windows UsrClass dat is loaded at HKU S- - - - - - - Classes Event This is where it get stucks But then it does not show the final step Event should be Finished processing user logon notification on session No other events are logged We hadn't changed any GPOs before the upgrade to windows Any help would be greatly welcome

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1bc82ef5-71cf-438e-b223-d7aa88ea8de4/big-issue-with-users-local-profiles-changing-password-and-hanging-user-profile-service-?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 59.34%

On advice here to keep OS disk space small followed the tutorial User Profile - Change Default Location and moved my user profile from C user name to E user name The problem is Windows upgrade need to run for move do to C:\user back How profiles user I my repair will not accept profiles being on separate partition to the OS Also it will be an issue when I need to upgrade in future Don't move your Windows user profiles folder to another drive ZDNet I need to move my profiles back anybody got any tips for doing this Although user profile is on E there is also some files under same name on C even though they were moved as per tutorial I assume it would be best to merge may How do I move my user profiles back to C:\user be appdata items I tried the copy active profile but when I opted to copy amp merge it with C users name it blocked telling 'file is open in System' Do I need to log on as a different user to allow me to merge the files Any help on steps sequence appreciated

A:How do I move my user profiles back to C:\user

Did you try "Method 2" of the tutorial you referred to.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/345912-how-do-i-move-my-user-profiles-back-c-user.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hey Ya ll The guy that set up My puter put in a profile for Me amp My Wife They both have administater privlidges My wife never uses this I had several infections amp Mat helped Me work them out with the hjt logs Ok heres the problem She User Profiles logged on the other night to play cards amp User Profiles all of My virus software programs showed warnings User Profiles that They needed to be updated which I did that morning from My profile So out of curiosity I ran a hjt amp the log showed completely different then the one from My profile Is it possible for some of the nastys to have snuck in undetetected in Her profile Question is can I safely delete Her profile to avoid this problem amp just run off of Mine We dont save anything on our computer so all I would be afraid of losing would be My virus scanners which are all on My profile to She has NEVER been on the net amp theres some stuff that shows up in Her hjt log thats not in mine I hope I m making sense But I still have that about blank problem amp I m thinking it Might be in Her Profile somewhere I didn t want to post seperate logs until I asked Thanks for any help Cowboy

A:User Profiles

You can delete profiles and accounts at will. The choice is up to you.
Doesn't sound like you need two of either in your case anyway.
Nasties also hide in system restore. Normally after malware detection, as part of the cleanup process, you should remove all the restore points. Depending on the infection, you don't have to do an actual system restore to be re-infected again.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/53064/user-profiles/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi all,

I work in a very large company and we are making a big push from Novell to Microsoft Exchange and file server.

We will have to migrate approx 3000 user's to a new domain.

Is there a way to remotley audit pc's and find out how many user profiles are on each pc. I know C$ work's fine, but this is very time consuming.

Cheers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profiles.754394/
Relevancy 55.9%

hi, i got my windows 7 laptop and the default user name was benjamin. i went and changed it to my name(andrew) but everything is still under benjamin. it was bsically just a cosmetic change to the profile. so i made a new profile with the name andrew and now was wondering if it would be bad if i deleted the first profile (benjamin)? would that ause any severe problems? the only files i have put on my computer is the sims 3 and some music so i could easily move those files over to the new account. thanks for your help!

A:user profiles

Hello Chaos ninja, and welcome to Seven Forums.

No, you will not have any problems copying over your files to the new account, then deleting your old user administrator account while logged in your new "administrator" account.

That would be the only way to change the actual C:\Users\(user-name) folder name.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/96089-user-profiles.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi

as per my previous thread before attempting an over install because my PC would not boot I removed the hard drive and hung it as a sata slave on my othe PC to check the Data was there.

Windows directory is shown as are program files etc

However the users directory is 834mb in size ( right click proporties)

It contains three directories

User -19.4mb in size
Public - 833mb
and Ian ( my profile) which is zero bytes

I've run an undelete program and it finds none of my documents or pictures

Any ideas anyone or have I lost it all

thanks

Ian

You have to take ownership and alter the permissions of your profile directory. Explorer does not and cannot get the file size of files it does not have permission to read.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/135625-user-profiles.html
Relevancy 55.9%

i have about 80 users on my lan. most of them create word docs and excel spreadsheets and save them in personal folder. acouple of them have a problem where some files/docs they save are not there the next day or 2 and files they delete come back days later. some other users have no problem till they open a document to make changes. they save changes but a couple days later changes are not there.

specs
2 dell poweredge file servers, pdc-bdc
winnt 4.0 enterprise server, sp6a running in cluster

workstations dell optiplex
winnt 4.0 workstation
office 2000

Relevancy 55.9%

Hi all, wondering if you could help with a problem I have, I am the administrator of my computer and have found myslef locked out of my own profile, unable to get 'in', i get the conitnued window pop up stating "user profile service service failed teh log on. user profiel can not be loaded" I knwo you're going to say only dip-sticks use user profiles but heh-hoh won't do it again!

Here you go this should work

The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/195161-user-profiles.html
Relevancy 55.9%

On advice here - when I installed W I followed User Profile - Change Default Location and kept OS on my C and put user profile with its mass of video pictures amp music on a separate drive and apps on a rd drive the advice here was have SSD drive for OS only everything else on separate drives Due to some instability I wanted to run Windows repair and it failed as it does not support user profiles being in a separate location to profiles User OS so currently can't repair Started looking around and find this pretty fundamental warning www zdnet com dont-move-your-windows-user-profiles-folder-to-another-drive- Unless anybody knows how to carry out system disk repair upgrade in current setup I'm going to have to move my profiles back and if that is the case may have to look at alternate config if Microsoft clearly do not support this and will not support this configuration when I go to upgrade from W Any thoughts

A:User profiles

Note: The link you posted is messed up, it resolves to:

Code:
http://www.sevenforums.com/www.zdnet.com/dont-move-your-windows-user-profiles-folder-to-another-drive-7000022142/
should be:

Code:
http://www.zdnet.com/dont-move-your-windows-user-profiles-folder-to-another-drive-7000022142/
See the rebuttal by Keri on page 4 of the responses, near the bottom:

Quote:
I have to most respectfully disagree!

As far as I can recall, this is the first time I have to disagree with you . Not because I have written a few tutorials on those "third party websites" as you put it to instruct in doing this but because what you are saying is simply not valid and true.

Let's start with this extract from your article:

"Important

This setting should be used only in a test environment. By changing the default location of the user profile directories or program data folders to a volume other than the System volume, you will not be able to service your Windows installation. Any updates, fixes, or service packs will fail to be applied to the installation. Microsoft does not recommend that you change the location of the user profile directories or program data folders. [emphasis added]"

That is, to put it simple, absolutely totally not true. Since introduction of Windows Vista all my Windows systems private and business have had the main Users folder relocated on another partition than C: using sysprep and unattended answer file. I have never had any issues with Windows update nor with in-place upgrade installations.

As the method discussed changes the value of an internal windows environment variable, it is so well "hard coded" in system that Windows Update will recognize it and has no issues.

When upgrading I simply run sysprep on Windows first, using an answer file I relocate the Users folder back from E: to C:, reboot, run in-place upgrade and sysprep once again, moving Users back to E:.

Not a single issue. This laptop I'm using now was upgraded in above mentioned way from 7 to 8 august of 2012 and again August this year to 8.1, system files and folders except Users folder on C:, Users on E:, and the machine is working just fine, all updates done, Windows Update working as it should.

As Windows has evolved, so have its tools like sysprep. You did notice that the TechNet article you are referring to is already several years old (for instance it's using Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate as an upgrade example)?.

I can understand that there must be days with nothing new to write. However, scandalizing totally working methods and spreading false information is not a good way to get something published, if you ask my opinion.

Kari

KariFinn
16 December, 2013 21:17

Also this thread:

Heads up: Users cannot upgrade to 8.1 Pro if 7 User Profile was moved?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/345872-user-profiles.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hope I can do a decient job of describing my question here...
With XP, you can have multiple user profiles where each user has their own area for files and it seems like certain system configuration settings. Can these user profiles be configured so that certain resident programs load only when that user is logged in and when they log off these programs are exited. For example, my son uses my 'puter to download with Kaaza and some other apps. When I am logged on, I don't want these apps to load. Can this be done? if so, how?
Thanks

A:user profiles in XP?

When you are logged in,you will need to go into Kazaa program ( or whatever other program you dont want on startup ) and find option to " not startup with Windows "

This will occur on your user profile and should not affect other users.....but all depends on the particular program of course.

GOOD LUCK!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profiles-in-xp.160367/
Relevancy 55.9%

PC was slow and freezing Uninstalled various programmes and emptied the temp file folders then I noticed that Kaspersky identified one worm which i hope was deleted Cannot to profiles log user on pc was running better but I left it with Kaspersky running a full system scanning Next morning Windows Cannot log on to user profiles XP is starting normal until I choose a profile to log in then I get this quot Windows cannot create a temporary profile directory This may be caused by insufficient security rights If this problem persists contact your network administrator quot DETAIL Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested sequence If I click on OK I get the next screen quot Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system quot DETAIL Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service But then the screen is blank and after a while an empty error message pops up and I get logged out of the profile I started in safe mode and created a new account but with all three accounts I get the same error message run chkdsk r but no change chdsk f doesn't work f parameter not specified Have read some other posts but don't seem to help me Anybody any additional idea Thanks

A:Cannot log on to user profiles

I'd suggest you post in the malware removal forum. Read the instructional stickies before posting. You could either still be infected, or there could have been changes to your system that were left there as a result of the infection you mentioned Kaspersky finding.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-log-on-to-user-profiles-680245.html
Relevancy 55.9%

When I start up my laptop (Vista), it doesn't have any profiles to log into. I've tried using safe mode, but it needs a profile, I don't care if I lose files or anything else, I just want to be able to get onto my computer. Help?

A:No user profiles to log into?

Your registry might be corrupt. You might try following this guide to restore it. Manually Restore the Registry From its Backup in Windows (Windows 7 / Vista) - Sysnative Forums

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/302745-no-user-profiles-log-into.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I need to know when an account was created. I also need to know who created the account if possible. I know there is a Profiles Folder in the C: drive on the server, but is there anymore information ? Thanks !!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/nt-4-user-profiles.119366/
Relevancy 55.9%

How do I make the files for all user profiles private, except the share files etc. When I create user profiles and issue a password xp asks if I wish to make the files private where other users can't see them. Well, this occured on two of the password protected profiles, but xp did not give me that option on the other two password protected profiles. What gives?

Any help appreciated,
Slickfisher

try going into the security tab and give rights to that one user only. If you do that, that should take care of your problem, oh by the way, to make like easy on yourself, add yourself in each profile so just in case you have to get into their pro for some reason. Always make a backdoor for yourself.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profiles.141533/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello I didn't know where to post this so I just tried here hoping to get some help About a week ago something happened Profiles User to User Profiles my user profile it acts like User Profiles it's got a hidden user profile or account User Profiles I've checked everywhere for a second user but I can't find one I'm the only user and administrator on my computer Here's what's happening First off I'm paralyzed and can't use a keyboard or mouse so I have to use Dragon naturally speaking to operate my computer Now whenever I reboot I get a message pop-up about Dragon needing a headset microphone USB installed but it's already installed so I can't operate a computer because Dragon won't finish loading I know sounds like a Dragon or headset issue but if I get somebody to just logoff and log back in to my user account everything's fine I've noticed that in user profiles settings the user name is different than what my username is somehow it got changed and I didn't do it Below are the differences between the reboot profile and the login profile Here's my self mod box specs Windows Professional SP -bit Samsung Pro SSD GB Hitachi TB HDD Asus SABERTOOTH Z mobo Intel Core i - K CPU Corsair Vengeance GB DDR RAM Corsair Enthusiast Series TX power supply Application data almost empty and not replicating itself as should be Registry ProfileList user profile has a new key named Preference Logoff logon system properties user profiles settings name PC Eric type roaming status local can't change to status roaming unless I change the user preference in the new Preference key to but doesn't stay set to zero changes after reboot Task Manager user Eric ID status active session console Computer Management local users and groups users Eric Restart Dragon message about user needing headset or sound setup System properties user profiles settings name PC Eric type roaming status local and can't change to roaming Task Manager user Eric ID status active session console computer management local users and groups users Eric Please help Thanks Eric

Did you check the Nuance forums to begin with, regarding this issue.  I would start there, and also check with Nuance, regarding this issue, by putting in a support ticket with them.  Also make sure that all of your drivers are up to date.  What is the Manufacturer & model# of the computer & headset?

Also have you tried a repair install of Dragon, along with checking the headset on a different computer, that does not have Dragon installed on it?  Are there any Yellow Exclamation marks in Device manager?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/522863/user-profiles/
Relevancy 55.9%

ok so my computer has a couple viruses in it so i decided to give it a new windows installation
what i did though is just change the defualt windows installation to just window (c:\windows to c:\window) leaving all data intact
now, what i want to know is is it possible to copy user profiles from the other installation over to this new installation. i want the new installation to have those programs running as the original installation without having to reinstall those programs.
any help will be appreciated. thanks

A:User Profiles Help

See if this helps:How to copy user data from your Windows XP profile to a new profile

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/85215/user-profiles-help/
Relevancy 55.9%

CPU: GenuineIntel 3000 MHz Pentium 4
RAM: 2047 MB
O/S: Microsoft Windows 2000 5.1 Service Pack 2 build 2600

Hi,

If i go to Control Panel / System / System Properties / Advanced and try to click on User Profile Settings i am prompted with:

End Programme - rundll32.exe

This programme is not responding.

Any ideas?

Tinker

Relevancy 55.9%

Hi All..
My computer is getting slow, so next to usual cleaning with Tune Up Utilities, I went trough Windows System Profiles and discovered that my User Profiles: Notorious\Admin are 645kb and Notoriuos\Notorious are 2.04 gig. in size..
Is this normal? And.. Would that be one of reasons for slugish preformance?
I was about to reinstall the Windows but before I do that I'd like to hear your opinion..

Thanx in advance..

A:User Profiles In Win. Xp

The size may or may not affect your performance. More likely it's either an infection (if something has gotten by your protection package) or a lack of resources.

The lack of resources is usually caused by too many programs running at startup, too many unnecessary services running, and/or too many programs running - but this may be complicated by insufficient RAM and older system components.

So, please let us know the specifications of your system and we can work from there.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/63843/user-profiles-in-win-xp/
Relevancy 55.9%

Usually when I load up my computer there are profiles that i can use to log in, either mine or my fathers. Today i was playing World of Warcraft ( as you do ) on full screen and i could not tab out for some reason. I restarted my computer manually using the button on the front of the tower. After this i got to the login screen as usual and there were NO profiles to log into.

So i cant log in... or do anything. Any ideas for what i can do to solve this?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/user-profiles-gone-293425.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Having backed up the users folders to an external hard drive Windows utility I installed a shiny new Gb OCZ Vertex SSD to run Win Office and a few other programmes from I then cleaned my existing HDD using Diskpart so as to profiles OS User on HDD, on SSD receive the data restored from back up When I installed Win on to the SSD I created a single user called 'Admin' to allow me to get up and running My problems started when I searched for a way to have the user files on the HDD but still linked correctly to the OS Having read a number of tutorials I created a new user named exactly as one of my backed up ones then copied that across to the HDD D drive I then deleted that profile from C drive and copied all of the content of the old profile my pictures documents etc into the new profile To get things to link I then changed the path through regedit to the D location Trouble is it didn't work I have been trying many variations for the last hours and really think I need help The total size of the user profiles I need to move is around Gb so I simply cannot have them on the SSD What is the correct way to set up User profiles on HDD, OS on SSD and move the profiles and then get the backed up data to link in Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/user-profiles-on-hdd-os-on-ssd-622500.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Something weird while looking for something else.
Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/User Profiles/Settings
I am the only user on this lappy computer Windows XP Pro
I have 3 users, Admin, Me, Guest. All are preceded by a JIM\.....JIM\Admin, JIM\Me, JIM\Guest in the System Profiles only..
Who is JIM and how did this get in here?
I recently went to XP SP3 but have no idea when or even IF this changed anything.
This JIM\ only appears to be in the User Profiles and I see it nowhere else as in
User Accounts or elsewhere.
I deleted user profile Jim\Guest but then had to do a system restore to get it back.
Just tell me I'm dumb.

I have a secure system and shows no malware using multiple scanning tools.
I am a computer tech and network engineer but this is a new one on me.
Thanks.

Relevancy 55.9%

Well I have no idea how this could have happened Maybe due to the fact that I was places I Profiles User shouldn t have been when I was really really new at this User Profiles I need to try and find a solution but can t find any info It looks like there are accts not including the administrator s one of my names Dell svc tag This is a folder in Documents and Settings MB but not in User Accts another one of my names User Profiles as Administrator MB in the User Accts Same name in User Profiles though they give me an initial instead of my middle name which is in User Accts yet another of User Profiles my names also as Administrator in User Accts Went into User Accts and tho it says Administrator I go into change acct type and the option for changing my account is grayed out In User Profiles there is an Account Unknown MB Service Tag Administrator MB Service Tag my name with initial MBThis is as clear as I could make it It looks a mess and I would like to clear it up once amp for all Also in the Event Viewer Application view I get a warning message every day I m on the system with an Event ID Userenv Log says Windows saved user service tag my name with the initial registry while an application or service was still using the registry during logoff The memory used by the user s registry has not been freed This is often caused by services running as a user account try configuring the services to run in either the Local Service or Network Service Account What I always logoff appropriately I thought--close any programs then logoff and shut down I don t understand what services can be running as a user account and have no idea how I d find that info Can you help

Were you turning things off and on in Services at all? Do you use Fast User Switching?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/160775/user-profiles/
Relevancy 55.9%

My computer was broken to begin with heh but it's my dad's and a rental so I can't do anything with it hardware wise yaaaay Don't tell me to get a new power supply he is convinced any problem with the computer is because of what I've loaded onto it because all hardware is perfect out of store Anyway This morning I was loading up User Profiles the computer as usual but I didn't know avast anti-virus was updating itself in the background as soon as the system loaded causing everything to freeze when I was trying to start User Profiles msn at the same time There's an issue with the hardware probably the power supply where if I try to do too much at once the computer will just randomly shut down User Profiles and begin beeping at me until I force a restart It did this but before it did so the settings flashed to a windows style menu bar I start to load the computer again and run into the following error Windows cannot load the user's profile User Profiles but has logged you on with the default profile for the system DETAIL - The system has attempted to load or restore a file into the registry but the specified file is not in a registry file format I figure the crash happened while the profile was still loading fully the load light on this hunk of junk dosen't work so I never know when it's done and I can start programs and that has corrupted the file somewhere I click past it and it logs me in as usual No issues to report so far all settings and files intact I've looked the error up and the general suggestion is to save all data and then delete recreate profiles which makes sence however on this computer there is only the one profile the default one I don't use the login screen not passworded or anything So I can't delete this one I could possibly create a new one and delete this one but I'm not sure it's worth it There seems to be no issue except a new menu to click past at startup other than the usual spontanious crashes Does this error actually mean something is wrong is it going to be a problem in the future or is it just as easy to leave it alone instead of messing with a new profile on this system sigh as soon as I have a secure income I'm buying my own computer no one can ever touch and that I'm allowed to actually change My family are computer illiterate in case you haven't already worked that out Oh and I know a scandisk might help but the computer shuts down at of that and with my GB hard drive that is fairly frustrating since it takes a very long time to get that far Anything other than that I can probably give a go

Hi and Welcome to TSF -

I will be glad to take a look at this problem from the XP OS side, but a few questions first, please:

1. When do the error messages appear - after logon but before the desktop is in view?
2. Do these error occur for all user accounts?
3. Are you running XP SP2 with all Windows Updates applied?
4. Have you checked the Event Viewer for futher information on the erroe events?

One recommendation that I would make is to moniter the CPU/RAM usage as various tasks are running. I have used CPUMon for this. It will stay "on top" thus giving you a view of CPU/RAM after logon.

CPUMon v1.60 by Denis Kozlov

In addition, some system specs would help.

regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-profiles-222629.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I've noticed that I have 3 User Profiles under Advance Settings for my computer. The first one is Default Profile, 1.5MB, the second one is gilloz PC/gilloz 650MB and the last one is gilloz PC/UpdateusUser, 14.7MB. Should I delete any of them other than the default one? Seems there is more data in the second one than the Default one. How were these created to begin with. I am the only user of this computer.

I've just checked mine and have two: Default profile and my profile.

I'd be inclined to run a full anti-virus scan using Malwarebytes.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/186899-user-profiles.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Help!
I am having problems with user profiles in WinK, I created two new user accounts but they don't show up in the directory for the accounts.

I am logged on as administrator, and they show up in the MMC but not in the directory..
I'm confused.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profiles.55342/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have spent a good part of the day trying to fix the user profiles for a vista machine. I have tried the reg edit, ran cleaners and anti virus malware bytes, hijack this. I have tried to make new users but when i try to log into them all i get is a blue screen and the hard drive is writing of reading. This is a business machine and not sure if i can do a restore point without losing info for it. I do not have a disk . It is a e-machine W3615. Any help would be welcomed.

A:User profiles

Bronx, welcome.

What is the stop code for the BSOD?

~Lordbob

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/215968-user-profiles.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello

I have one user account, however I seem to have acquired more than one user profiles.  How do I remove unwanted user profiles?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b4866bb1-9d95-4dba-b3ca-b19cc4a0e0d9/how-to-delete-user-profiles?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 55.04%

Under System Properties Advanced, I find 3 User Profiles. I am the only one using this computer so I don't understand why there are 3. Also, if I just type in Profiles on the START menu, it only brings up one (second one listed below). I have been using this computer for 2.5 years and the only "change" is that I needed a new motherboard about a month ago.

The three I have are:
Default Profile using 6.13 MB created 3/1/2013
Secondary-PC\Devin using 16.3 GB created 7/19/2013
Secondary-PC\UpdatusUser using 68.9 MB created 4/30/2013

Why are there 3 and do I need them all? ALSO - I have 3 User Accounts

DEVIN (Administrator)
ASP.NET Machine Account (Standard User)

Can you explain all this and do I need everything?

A:Explain User Profiles

The Guest account is for a Guest (so they don't mess up your account), and the ASP.Net account is part of the .Net framework for an ASP.net webserver. If don't use either, they can both be disabled.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/explain-user-profiles-702604.html
Relevancy 55.04%

About two weeks ago, I started receiving an unable to load profiles error. It was happening on all user accounts including the administrator account. I tried two or three virus scans from different sournces with no viruses found. I restored back to 2 days earlier with the same result. The only around it was to create new accounts, including the administrator account. Once I did that, all the desktop images that I had came back as they were. All was good for about two weeks. All of sudden it started happening again, but just on the administrator account. Ran 3 virus scans from different sources with no viruses found, but still am getting the same results. The computer is not even 5 months old. Really getting aggravated here. Any thoughts.

A:Can't Load User Profiles

Hi...I have no answers for you , but I think this might help understand what may be happening.

[post="http://www.psychology.uh.edu/TechSupport/FAQ/profile.html"]User Profiles, Causes of Corruption[/post]

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146318/cant-load-user-profiles/
Relevancy 55.04%

Just got new laptop with Vista home
opened three profiles :1 mine Admin, 2 wifes, 3 daughters
Loaded 2007 office: created shortcut to word my profile and worked on other 2 profiles ok.
Went to wifes profile and craeted word shortcut: Dissapeared from daughters profile and although icon in mine unable to find file:

Can i load programmes and edit independantly in each profile without messing up other profiles?

A:user profiles and word

Hello Clally, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Yes, you sure can. The Start Menu actually has two versions. One shared by all user accounts (Open All Users or Explore All Users), and one for only the current user (Explore or Open). You can place the shortcut in the Start Menu version for how you want it to be shared or not. Option Two in this tutorial below will help show you how to do this if needed.

Start Menu - Shortcuts

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/188157-user-profiles-word.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Win 7 Home Premium. Optiplex 755. I have a working user profile with administartive rights which works fine. I also have a working guest user. However when I try to create a new user, standard or administator, the new user is shown in "mange users" but cannot be logged into. This happens in safe mode as well. I do not wish to delete the working user as comments online refer to the possibility that the onboard user profile may not load after deletion ? Thoughts?

A:cannot create new user profiles

Hello and welcome gumtree mate from my limited knowledge of this there has to be at least one admin account and I do believe that to delete accounts you have to have admin rights. So in effect if I understand you correctly you want to delete that other ?third account then just do it if you are logged in as the admin.

Please correct me if I have got it wrong. Just as a matter of interest why do you need so many accounts - in my experience it goes to make a machine really cluttered.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/359654-cannot-create-new-user-profiles.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I want to test roaming user profiles to see if the will help a few issues with our network.

when i go to change a profile type the roaming option is disabled.

does anyone know what i have to do to enable RUPs?

A:Roaming user profiles

have a look here it might be of use to you

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/roaming-user-profiles.148080/
Relevancy 55.04%

I am only able to use my account which is the original one. I have 3
other accounts set up that quit working all of a sudden. When trying to
switch to them there is just a curser and blue screen and nothing else. I
tried deleting all the accounts manually as well (c:\users) and then tried
adding accounts again. The same thing just a blue screen. Did a system
restore as far back as I could no luck! Please help!

Thanks,

Brian

A:User profiles corrupt

Hi Brian. . .

I would suggest that you add another admin user account immediately - but do not use a user name that you have used before. Those 3 other accounts are probably corrupted by now - including the names because of registry entries and hidden folders.

Please go to the c:\windows\minidump folder gather all of the files that you can find in there and run msinfo32, I will take a look at the dump files that should have been left behind by the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD).

To run msinfo32 - click start, type msinfo32.exe into the start search box, a viewer will appear, save the file in NFO format (very important - you will see it) - then zip everything up and attach to your next post.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/user-profiles-corrupt-270332.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Does anyone know why, when I click a user name, I get an error message "windows can not load users profile settings. But will load default settings because the file is being used by another process"? Was recieving error message about virt mem last week. Couldn't increase paging file (maxed-384mb). But, changed settings to 1000/1000 max/min to stop virt mem message. Now, I'm the only one who can log on without the computer freezing and that's the message I get. I'm the administrator. The default settings are set to my daughters user name. My user name is password protected and my family all use the computer. We only use it for surfing-email and IMing. Don't run many programs. Why is my memory being used up?!?? Ran adaware, SpyBot. Have Spyware Blaster.Mcafee firewall/virus protection. All clean. I'm pretty lost! Any suggestions?

Relevancy 55.04%

The Goal I want five domain controller s to hold copies of every user profile in the agency no more than profiles and when a user travels between sites would like the copy of the profile on the local domain controller be the one that is downloaded instead of a profile traversing the VPN The Setup Five separate sites connected to the Internet via DSL or Cable connections connected to the main site Site A via VPN using Cisco based firewalls There are no issues with the VPN it functions perfectly at every site Each site Roaming Dfs/FRS via User Profiles has a domain controller to handle local logins A domain-based Dfs Roaming User Profiles via Dfs/FRS root was established Roaming User Profiles via Dfs/FRS at Site A with a replicated link target on the domain controller at Site B The Test I created a single test account John Doe to use In Active Directory the profile points to mydomain org roam profiles username which will end up being doej I fill the profile up with enough files so the profile size is between - MB This way I will know for sure if the profile is traversing the VPN as it will take about minutes or more to log in Replication has been set up and no errors reported I go to Site A and test it seems to work fine though this is where I set everything up I log out then try a login at Site B Login seems slow it appears that it is still pulling the profile from Site A The Question Has anyone used Dfs with FRS to handle roaming profiles I m hoping to get this to work then incorporate a few Folder Redirection target s to really shrink the roaming profile size Any input would be helpful Mohenjo nbsp

A:Roaming User Profiles via Dfs/FRS

Mohenjo,

You are one step ahead of me. I cannot get FRS to work on our remote server. We have a cisco pix 506e here at the main site. Our remote site has a cisco pix 501. The site to site vpn is established and working fine. I created a domain-based DFS root on a domain controller here at the main site. I made the remote server a target but it will not replicate. I get no errors either.

Just to be sure I added another local server as a target and replication works fine between the local servers. All servers are running 2003 ent ed. I'm stumped. Any thoughts?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/roaming-user-profiles-via-dfs-frs.374523/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have a HP Pavilon with Windows XP Medica Center Edition SP I had to have .HOME profiles in user XP? on Win the hard drive replaced recently and restored everything from the HP CDs It worked fine for awhile until a .HOME on user profiles in Win XP? couple of days .HOME on user profiles in Win XP? ago the computer froze and when it started up again the desktop was back to the original after that the computer came .HOME on user profiles in Win XP? with I ve installed all of the security updates except for SP ran Hijack THis Spybot AVG and it all came back clean WHen I go to docs and settings on the C drive however there is a HP Administrator user who was the default user and the one always used and a HP Administrator HOME user I made a new user with the name of the computer Owner and upon logging in there it made it with her username HOME The HOME folder is the default one but the regular one has all the correct MyDocs and Desktop files Any idea what is going on here I believe the main thing is she runs Adobe design software and it keeps closing because it can t find the Adobe folder under Application Data Thanks in advance for any input nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

Is there anyway to undue changes to profiles in XP?

I was trying to add an user account and it will only add an adminstrator account. Now the original admin account is gone.

Thanks.

A:Undue changes to user profiles?

When you say "gone", do you mean the original admin account won't show up on the login screen, or has been removed from the "user accounts" screen in control panel?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/undue-changes-to-user-profiles.592611/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello everyone I recently 'cleaned' a friend's PC of over viruses trojans spyware entries honest using a combination of Spybot Spy Sweeper adaware kazaabegone ewido etc The machine runs XP Home and was upgraded to SP just before User Corrupt Profiles? I got my stickies on it I think The machine now works and has a firewall but the user profiles appear to be completely messed up Having got rid of some of the mess I defragged the hard drive but it would not defrag some of the user account Documents and Settings nor those in System config systemprofile Corrupt User Profiles? There are accounts that are not accessible even in safe mode It is possible to create new accounts but the process does not recognise the presence of any Corrupt User Profiles? existing administrator account so expects one to be created The total file size of the accounts is GB yes GB How can I reduce this I assume the default user profile is the baddie here Is this a case for reloading the operating system again or is there something I can try before giving up I did take a hijackthis log before I gave the machine back but I have promised to try and sort it out this weekend A rash promise or what ANY advice would be most welcome Thanks Palomap simply the best perfume in the world

A:Corrupt User Profiles?

I would just reformat and totally wipe that sucker clean. A fresh set of accounts and a nice fresh O/S might do it some justice. But see what everyone else thinks before you make a decision.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/corrupt-user-profiles-90189.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Why does Windows 7 Home Premium have dual user profiles ? I have the old style <Documents And Settings> and a new profile directory called <Users>. They are identical. Just wondering why I have both. Sure is a waste of hard drive space, not to mention maintenance headaches.

A:duplicate user profiles

You cannot open the C:\Documents and Settings folder, this is a system folder. You access your user account files from C:\Users\[username]
Documents and Settings in Vista and Windows 7 - 4sysops

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/duplicate-user-profiles-628394.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Why would my user profiles not be the same size when I view them with different user accounts?
If I log into user A and it shows user B as being 10mb, should it not be the same size if I were looking at it while logged into user C?

A:User Profiles Sizes

User A is an administrator and has full read permission, whereas user C is a standard/restricted user and cannot determine the file sizes within the directory.

My guess... easy to test that theory though.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576535/user-profiles-sizes/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello All I am a computer application's teacher at a small junior high school I deal mainly with programs so my networking and hardware knowledge is VERY limited I create a user profile in the active User Profiles? Deleting directory for every student that I will have in class They have a specific username and password that allows them access to their own folder on the lab server My students use Gateways with the XP operating system Recently we have added a virus protection program to all computers that is uses up a lot of the free memory the computers had The technology coordinator for our school recommended I free up some memory but didn't give me any good ideas how to start I deleted all unused programs etc but they are Deleting User Profiles? still really slow I delete my student's Deleting User Profiles? accounts from the active directory every year but I didn't realize that their profiles are stored on the computer itself So I have about years worth of student profiles stored on every computer Plus it seems to create profiles at random Obviously there are profiles from students who used the computer but there are also profiles from students that I know never even set foot in my class My question What is the most effective and fastest way to go about deleting these profiles Currently I am right clicking on Start and navigating to the user folders that way I highlight about at a time and delete them This takes Deleting User Profiles? FOREVER and sometimes I get a message that says another computer is using something in the folder and it can't delete the profile I then have to start over and try to figure out which profile cannot be deleted I have student computers that I have to go through this process with I'm wondering if it wouldn't be faster to reformat them all Sorry for the book but my degree is actually in English so I tend to be quite wordy Shiela

A:Deleting User Profiles?

Did you ever find out the answer for this? I'm in a similar situation. I came into a small office with about 12 computers and have taken over most of the desktop support. At one time or another, all the computers have changed hands and each has a user folder for every employee. I wouldn't care, but the doc & settings folder on most PC's are 14-25gb. Most was in the my documents folder, so that content was deleted, though each account still has .75-2gb throughout misc. folders.

My question is if I can just delete these old user folders or if I need to keep them?

I've read in other posts here that if the a specific user installed a program (lets say MS word since all users will use it), then it's settings are tied to that specific users account and deleting it will cause word to have problems.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/deleting-user-profiles-253293.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hey All,

I'm having a problem on my parents' computer. They each have a separate user profile, but for some reason flash player only works on Internet Explorer on one of them. What could cause this and are there any possible solutions?

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Doug

Relevancy 55.04%

I m using Windows XP Home on a standalone computer setup with the following accounts ADMINISTRATOR MY NAME No Password GUEST disabled ASP NET Machine Limited Account Password Protected ADMINISTRATOR and MY NAME have profiles set up in Windows Explorer C Documents and Settings GUEST and ASP NET MACHINE do not have profiles I understand that there should not be a profile set up for GUEST but the ASP NET MACHINE bothers me I didn t set this up and I don t know the password The Website I found on Google looked legit but nevertheless I ve never done business with them Even if I had I would never have granted this kind of access In Windows Explorer I also have two Common Profiles set up apparently by Windows ALL USERS DEFAULT USERS I don t need these profiles -- they re just added complications and wasted space for me Questions Can I safely delete the ASP NET Machine account Will I need to know the password Are the two common profiles ALL USERS DEFAULT USERS safe to delete How would I do it -- they re not associated with any accounts Am I at risk using an ADMINISTRATOR account without a password Thanks John Windows XP Home SP Internet Explorer SP eMachines T GHz Intel Celeron MB RAM GB Hard Drive Intel D AGP Graphics and Profiles Accounts User Mbps Ethernet CD-RW x Write DVD x Play nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

Trying to set up user profiles with XP pro. I have 2 set up, both administrators, with full rights. Both password protected. But when pc boots, it boots to my profile, without any options to log on to the other account. Any ideas please??

Relevancy 55.04%

So yesterday I was trying to update Java and had no success. After deciding I was doing more harm than good I used a system restore from about a week ago. When I logged back on, my desktop was set back to defaults like I had just made a new profile and it popped up a notification that I was in a temporary account and all my data would be lost when I log off. After resetting to find that it wasn't a fluke, I made a second account named "Temp" and used it to backup, delete, and recreate my original profile "Tim". Problem being that when I went into C:\Users to try and put the files back, I found it like this
 User Profile.png   127.56KB
  10 downloads

For fear of messing things up too badly, I've opted to ask here rather than push forward. Any thoughts?

A:User Profiles Corrupted

I made a second account named "Temp" and used it to backup, delete, and recreate my original profile "Tim".I'm not sure why TIM folder looks like a shortcut.Modified date of TIM folder is 2/3/2012. Did you delete the old one and create a new TIM account?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/453207/user-profiles-corrupted/
Relevancy 55.04%

When I click User Accounts in control panel, and then configure advanced user profile properties, there are 3 Account Unknows at the top.

A:Mysterious user profiles

Hi Mike,

What are the names of these accounts? can you take a screencapture of them and post it here please?

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/194562-mysterious-user-profiles.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi and thanks (I hope).
Have just done a complete install of xp and I think Im missing something that I need to do.
I have my administrator profile (in which all programs work a treat) and three other profiles for wife and kids. Unfortunately a game such as Gothic 2 loaded in my profile doesn't even show up on the other profiles desktop (same for Photoshop).
Furthermore when I try to run an office 2000 program from one of the satelite profiles i get :-
"Office 2000 sr1 premium error 1706. MS office installer cannot continue."
If I click thru the various error boxes the program finally surfaces with the required file ready to work on!
Ive tried renaming files and repairing office to no avail and the Gothic thing has me stumped.
Hope someone can help solve this annoying problem!

Relevancy 55.04%

After setting up my user profile and being confronted with permission and ownership problem I found out how to ENABLE the admin account. It looks like those problems went away. However, all of the desktop icons have disappeared, the Start menu is not the same, etc.
Question:
Is there away to transfer or, preferably, copy the regular user settings (profile?) to this admin account?

A:Transfer user profiles

Quote: Originally Posted by blockie

After setting up my user profile and being confronted with permission and ownership problem I found out how to ENABLE the admin account. It looks like those problems went away. However, all of the desktop icons have disappeared, the Start menu is not the same, etc.
Question:
Is there away to transfer or, preferably, copy the regular user settings (profile?) to this admin account?

Have you tried to 'take ownership'? Take Ownership Shortcut

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/132023-transfer-user-profiles.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello,

My computer uses Windows XP service pack 3 as its operational system. I recently uninstalled McAffe antivirus. Afterward I did a reboot and everything seemed as usual until the light blue screen appeared. It took over five minutes for the system to load the user profiles. When I selected a profile I again waited a couple of minutes, until the background image for the specific profile (but nothing else) appeared. Finally I waited for a quarter of an hour only to witness the computer doing a reboot by itself.

I can't access the computer at all, not even in Safe mode but that is merely because I never get the chance to press F8. After the, I believe it's called, CMOS ROM screen disappears the Windows loading screen appears directly. This has always been the case.

Thanks in advance
Sebastian

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-user-profiles.1010718/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi,

I've recently had to run the recovery console on my PC, which created a new windows XP profile. It kept the same username (and even profile picture) but not installed programs or files.

I found the files in the "document & settings" folder on the C: but in another profile folder. The installed programs in the program files folder in my C:.

Is there a way that I can switch back to this profile? I've tried switching profiles when logging off, but I am not given the option and in "User accounts" in the control panel there is only 1 account present.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Regards.

A:Windows XP User profiles

I have now tried to transfer the settings from one profile to a newly created one. I still however can't seem to see the old "lost" account in any list to edit??

Is there a way to transfer the programs over?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-user-profiles.879404/
Relevancy 55.04%

We started up the computer this morning and it started up in a "Temporary Profile". Every time we restart it, it starts up in a Temporary Profile. When we log off or try to switch profiles, it shows our correct logon button, but our desktop looks like it is halfway reset! Some of our icons are still there, but most of them are gone... It is not completely reset, because we have our superchips software still on here, norton still on here, etc... And also, when I go into My Documents, NOTHING is there. But I go into the C Drive, and all of our stuff is there.

Relevancy 55.04%

Guys opening this as separate thread as previous one took a move profiles user Can't direction of its own Scenario As per Tutorial moved my profiles off the C User Profile - Change Default Location In order to Can't move user profiles use Windows Repair Upgrade Disk I need to move them back Preparing for move back have pared them down dramatically in size by putting my docs my pics my music etc on locations off the C Although I have been using PC with profiles moved off somehow a couple of files have been created by some apps on C I can live without them just a few Adobe amp wondershare historical But I can't delete this profile even though logged into to another account as admin It shows 'user' with a padlock against it I have tried Taking ownership - no change I have tried using Unlocker - if fails In properties it shows that I have full permissions and for example it will allow me to rename the folder but not delete it I tried moving my profiles opting to move amp merge but it got messy amp failed as it could not copy across some files due to permissions Therefore having recovered back - obviously need to delete this C users name before I try this again How do I 'unlock' this file so I can delete

A:Can't move user profiles

Did you perform Method Two of the very same tutorial which shows how to move the files back? I asked you this in your previous thread and didn't get an answer. I was prepared to ask the tutorial's author to assist.

If Method Two does not work or is unclear I would address the author of the tutorial in its comments section, or ask him via messaging to look in here.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/346272-cant-move-user-profiles.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi,

Can we know the passwords for other user profiles (domain accounts) in a system ?? OS: Windows Vista Enterprise

Plz suggest.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,
Sri.

A:Passwords for other user profiles

Not even an Administrator knows the passwords or can find the passwords. An Administrator can change his/her own password or the password of any other user and a Standard user can change his/her password, but neither can get the system to reveal the current password. Here's the procedure: Reset User Account Password. Also, an Administrator can access any user's data folders and files directly without logging in as the user (but a standard user can't do this) - though if the files are encrypted, even the Administrator won't be able to read them. If the files are stored on a domain server or domain permissions and group policies are in effect for the servers and the computers in the domain, depending on the setup, even Admininstrators may not be able to do this or what I said an Administrator could do above - it may need to be done at the server level by a Domain Administrator. Even then, I don't believe the Domain Administrator can access the current password, but merely change it.

If you need access to files in another user's account, then ask the administrator to grant you rights to access folders in that account (presumably with permission from that user) - then you don't need the password.

Of course, the easiest way is to ask the user to provide you with his/her password if they are comfortable giving it to you. The fact that you are trying to find a way to get into those accounts without asking them for permission suggests you want to do so without their knowledge - and that isn't right and I will not help you do that.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/283813-passwords-other-user-profiles.html
Relevancy 55.04%

After doing a system restore, (which was reccomended) I now can by no means access any 1 of 4 user profiles on my computer. It gives me a message saying; "The User Profile Service service, failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded." Please assist!

A:Locked out of user profiles

What were you trying to fix with a restore and does Windows boot?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/199827-locked-out-user-profiles.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I have several PC's running Windows 7 and was wondering whether it was possible to create a single user account for a user over all the pc's rather then have a seperate user account on each of the pcs. For example, when using a server you can be assigned a login and then no matter what pc you use, when you login your files, permissions etc are the same...

Can this only be done with a server?

A:User Profiles without Server

Quote: Originally Posted by Scud89

I have several PC's running Windows 7 and was wondering whether it was possible to create a single user account for a user over all the pc's rather then have a seperate user account on each of the pcs. For example, when using a server you can be assigned a login and then no matter what pc you use, when you login your files, permissions etc are the same...

Can this only be done with a server?

You can look at creating a homegroup with Windows 7, but you'll still need an account on each PC unless you have a server.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/157800-user-profiles-without-server.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I have a laptop that I need to set up user accounts for differant lans with differant workgroup names and ip addresses. I'm planning to set up user acct's with the separate ips and gateways. My problem is that as admin acct I set up a user and it either doesn't allow me to change the ip's or as admin I globally change those settings.
Is there a workaround to this?
When I log on to the limited acct I have no access to the network side of Xp.
Thanks for any help.

A:User profiles in XP home

hi jghost

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=813940

hope this helps
dont know if its what your looking for

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profiles-in-xp-home.218006/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello all,
I have a question about user profiles. We have a lot of computers that have up to 200 user profiles stored on them, mostly for policemen and firemen who share computers. What I am wondering is if there is a simple way, or a utility that will help us put all of those profiles on to a different PC in case we need to replace a hard drive or install a new computer. I know XP has the files and settings transfer wizard but that only seems to work on one profile at a time; what I am praying for is something that will take all of the profiles and copy/move them at once.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Kevin

A:Multiple User Profiles

It would be a lot better if you just have a central server handle all the user profiles. What could work is backing up the c:\documents and settings folder. That holds things like favorites, desktop icons, documents and other stuff. Is that what you want?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/multiple-user-profiles-21239.html
Relevancy 55.04%

We are running windows XP SP2 on a large domain. We have recently had several users login in that are somehow getting new profiles. This seems to be affecting only the XP machines. Roaming profiles are not being used. We have been editing the registry and repointing to their original profiles, deleting the newly created profiles and this returns their original desktop and solves the problem temporarily, but it continues to happen. Any ideas? I am new here and not fully familiar with this company's setup at this time , but will find out the answer to any questions posed that can help me discover a permanent fix.

A:Multiple user profiles

Make sure the users are logging into the same domain each time, versus logging into the computer itself.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/multiple-user-profiles.564122/
Relevancy 55.04%

I'd like to know how to modify my guest (restricted access) profile in XP, so that a certain application doesn't load at start up.

Download Accelerator Plus works flawlessly in my Admin profile but it uses up 90% of the CPU cycles, for no reason at all, in any of the guest profiles. Is there a way to keep it from starting in only the guest profiles?

A:Modifying user profiles in Win XP pro.

So I take that as a no?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/modifying-user-profiles-in-win-xp-pro.235983/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have three user profiles on my machine. (I am running windows XP SP2). The Profiles are Mark, Mom and Kids. I have had other profiles over time, some that apparently were corrupted and deleted. some were simply deleted because of changing circumstances. Under Documents and Settings, I show 11 profiles as follows: Administrator, All Users, Andrea, Andrea.MAIN, Default User, Kids, Local Service, Mark, Mom Network Service, and Owner. I know Andrea and Andrea.MAIN were old profiles which were deleted. Why are they still there? How do I delete them? Where did the others come from? Do I need them? Can I delete them?

A:Solved: User profiles

Right-click on My Computer and click on Properties. Click the Advanced tab. Click the Settings button under User Profiles. Delete them from there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-user-profiles.354780/
Relevancy 55.04%

I noticed recently that on a couple of PCs running 2000 pro had some duplicate user profiles. I never created them, but there they are.

So say for example, one PC is named "Receptionist." A user profile on that computer is named "Kristin." Everything was just fine, until the user on that computer complained that she could not find her docs. So I looked and noticed that her docs were being stored in a user profile called "Kristin.RECEPTIONIST."

I don't know where that profile came from. And apparently that is the profile she logs into now. And when I try to just delete the other profile that is just "Kristin," then it creates itself again when I reboot.

Very annoying. Could someone explain what I did?

Relevancy 55.04%

Hi all This is my first foray into the NT world me being goodatit doesnt apply to NT I have NT server and workstation I have the two puters talking to each other I have the proxy server letting the workstation go online The problem Im having is with user accounts and profiles thats where the non-goodatit part comes into play I would think that Id be able to set up a group with all the start menu lists user profiles and and apps available favorites and the like so that all id have to do is add a user to the group and the settings would apply Simple huh not for me I want certain starts to profiles and user lists look the same Case in point I have a few online games that I have available for the kids in the house can I set up a group that I can add the kids to that will set the configuration the same for each one in the group Im coming off of win and backed up my favorites which I profiles and user lists want to provide some of the links for different users mainly adults and kids respectively I can make a profiles and user lists user on the w s but get an error when trying to log that user onto the server The account I created has only domain user group in it I loaded all of the apps under the administrator log-on and that user has the apps on his start menu how do I get them to the other users now Do I have to load each app to the w s AFTER Ive created the users on the w s and server enviroments The reason for having users log onto the server is because Im only a two puter show right now Hopefully I have been able to get my questions across to you guys and gals in a way that isnt confusing you as much as it is me thanx in advance ------------------ remember if u cant be good be GOODATIT nbsp

A:profiles and user lists

Ok, for what you want, you must have NT server set up as a domain, not a workgroup.

To have the start menu things is in the Profile. There is a Profile editor, but I find for start menu it is easyer to just set it by hand. Goto Windows Exployer, Profiles, All Users, you can set it there for all users. Also you will see each user that has loged on the server with their Settings as well. If you want it to remember your settings from computer to computer, you will need to have roming profiles, otherwise it will only effect the computer you make the changes on.

Hope that helped, Think I said that rather confusingly,
------------------
~Jason

Infinity Networking and PC's
[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/profiles-and-user-lists.28470/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have in the last year started deploying W7 PCs onto our domain generally with very few problems however in the last couple of months I had a few users come back to me with the same problem - their domain login profile is not available and a temporary profile has been loaded. I have tested the network connection and re-joined the PC to the domain and this doesn't cure the issue. I can login with my domain credentials and the user can login to other domain PCs without any issues.

Subsequent search on the Internet as always brings up many solutions; has anybody else come across this before and know of a sure-fire way of fixing it?

Does anybody have any idea what might be the cause of the issue?

Many thanks for any suggestions,

Peebs

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/338340/corrupt-user-profiles/
Relevancy 55.04%

I m new Check my intro under the Windows user XP profiles and Community Random Discussion forum for info on me Anyway I recently installed Windows XP and user profiles Windows XP Professional on my system My daily driver is a -MHz Intel P system with MB RAM Previously I had Windows installed Windows XP and user profiles on this system Windows XP and user profiles My account has a user profile path so my profile can roam with me With Windows I would log on to the domain immediately with no hiccups Now when I log on with Windows XP it takes to minutes before I get to my desktop I ve tried recreating my user account deleting my user profile locally and the server after making a backup and I ve even disabled syncronization Nothing helps If I log on to the domain from a Windows PC I have no problems The only problem I m having is with this XP-based system Anyone know why this is happening We have a Windows Server SP post fixes running IIS DHCP DNS and Exchange We re using group policies and user profiles for all users Here s a list of the software I ve installed on my system Office XP Pro Microsoft TechNet Roxio CD Creator CuteFTP Microsoft Encarta Microsoft Active Sync for my Compaq iPAQ Microsoft MapPoint Symantec PC Anywhere I m kind of upset that PC Anywhere disabled some of the remote management options within XP but I realize it s a compatibility issue since PC Anywhere was available long before Windows XP was a design consideration Anyway if anyone could help me troubleshoot this issue I d appreciate it nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-and-user-profiles.54720/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello, just one annoying little problem here.

I'm running Windows XP Home (SP1) and recently the computer I'm using became officially "mine", so now I can get rid of other peoples' profiles on here.

All the accounts I'm trying to delete are administrator accounts, and the account I am trying to delete them from is also an administrator account.

I deleted my Dad's profile first, no problem (his was the "owner" account), but now the User Account window locks up (sits and does nothing until I close it and then it says not responding) when I try to delete any other profile. What is the problem here, and how can I delete these accounts?

Thanks for any help you can offer, I couldn't find anyone else who has had this kind of issue before.

A:Can't Delete User Profiles?

Ok First thing - The owner account that you deleted if it was the Adminisrators account you might have a problem.The best thing is this article from Microsoft KBase and please print it out so you have a reference.How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XPhttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;279783&sd=techYou will have to have the password for the administrative account (original) on the computer to do any of this.Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/52127/cant-delete-user-profiles/
Relevancy 55.04%

Just been browsing in relation to a network connectivity problem on another computer, and I found a short program to list User Profiles. I ran it on my laptop and found that I have several User profiles from the hotels I visited on a recent holiday (see below):

User profiles
-------------
All User Profile : corali_rooms pass
All User Profile : Wise_Advice
All User Profile : Tasana2
All User Profile : Safta Residence
All User Profile : chic
All User Profile : Caprioara
All User Profile : Telekom-40BA
All User Profile : HotelDecebal2
All User Profile : CityLuxe
All User Profile : anda3
All User Profile : Guest Rooms 1
All User Profile : SpitiSepposZTE
All User Profile : OTEf37990
All User Profile : KENMAGS
All User Profile : linksys-g
All User Profile : caprioara
All User Profile : BISSER-2

I don't want these now but have no idea how to delete them, and would appreciate some guidance please.

A:How do I delete User Profiles?

those are network profiles > Wireless Network Profile - Delete in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/69825-how-do-i-delete-user-profiles.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I know how to delet old user profiles, but I am confused as to why my Documents and Settings folder has so many subfolders. Here they are:

12/18/2002 08:27 PM <DIR> .
12/18/2002 08:27 PM <DIR> ..
08/15/2002 06:41 PM <DIR> Administrator.CANADA.008
11/23/2002 12:26 PM <DIR> Administrator.CANADA.009
11/23/2002 12:34 PM <DIR> Administrator.CANADA.010
06/18/2002 04:09 PM <DIR> All Users
08/15/2002 08:13 PM <DIR> All Users.WINDOWS
12/18/2002 08:27 PM 0 dir.txt
12/15/2002 11:02 PM <DIR> Edit System
11/18/2002 08:33 PM <DIR> Home Theater
12/15/2002 11:02 PM <DIR> Home Theater.CANADA
1 File(s) 0 bytes
10 Dir(s) 2,190,696,448 bytes free

I only have two profiles: Edit SYstem and Home Theater. Why Do I have Home Theater and Home Theater.CANADA (Canada is my computers name by the way). Why the .008, .009 and .010 folders under administrator? Now, even beyond what you see, there are more hidden directorys that are .001, .002 etc etc. Why so many folders?

A:Delete Old User Profiles

If you change the computer name or delete some of the files in the profile windows automatically creates a new one. What you might want to try is to create a file on the desktop named something unique. Then you can search the desktop folder in each profile folder for the file you made. Then delete all of the directories that are no longer used. Make sure there are no files in them that you need though.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/delete-old-user-profiles.108964/
Relevancy 55.04%

I just upgraded to a new system with XP and it is the first time that I Profiles understand User I don't have used User Profiles I do not understand how they work I installed most of the software as administrator Then I added User Profiles for different I don't understand User Profiles family members I am having several problems I uploaded some of our pictures but they appear to only be in My Pictures for my user name Where do I put them so everyone can access them Anytime someone logs I don't understand User Profiles in under their username the virus software starts a scan as if I don't understand User Profiles this were the first time the computer was turned on for the day Should it do that I think it should only need to run once when the machine is first turned on All other users but me get error messages from the spyware program saying that it can t complete its updates That does not happen in my administrator account but it does to everyone elses So I guess I am asking How do I install software that is going to be used by everyone so that it is common to all of us Where do I put things that everyone wants to share so that it appears either in their My Documents or on their Desktop etc Thanks for the help nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

I often switch from an Internet-using environment to one where I don't want any Internet-related apps to be running - usually to facilitate watching a DVD or playing a game with the minimum of applications running in the background Normally I have to shut down all the Profiles User Re: XP Confusion applications AV firewall defrag downloader etc Confusion Re: XP User Profiles manually I had the idea that I could set up a different User Account that would not include any of these things and then simply switch profiles instead of shutting down each program individually I created a new User Account with Administrator privileges then logged into that account Some of the same apps I had been running AV firewall were Confusion Re: XP User Profiles also running in this new account and I found that if I shut them down or deleted a desktop icon these changes also affected my main User Account That is if I shut down my AV on Confusion Re: XP User Profiles the new account's desktop it would also be shut down when I logged back into my main account How can I create a completely autonomous user account where what I change in that environment does not affect my normal everyday account I want to keep them completely separate so the new account has the minimum of processes running but also be able to switch back to my more full-featured environment easily Thanks for any help

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/confusion-re-xp-user-profiles-247042.html
Relevancy 54.61%

We just got this machine (see my user profile), and I set up multiple user profiles on it.

For now I am an administrator, but my dad (Default) isn't.

The problem is that the screen resolution apparently can't be saved within our profiles.

When we switch users, whichever resolution the previous user had, the next user gets.

Dad is on in years, and his eyesight is worse, so for now I've had to leave resolution at 800 x 600.

Is there a solution? Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/screen-resolution-in-user-profiles.597877/
Relevancy 54.61%

I did more than one system restore and each time the process created a new user folder. I first theought all my settings were lost but since discovered I had several new user folders and the computer was no longer using my original folder when I logged in. Here's what I ORIGINALLY had:

Administrator
Owner
All Users
CHASDT

Here's what I have now:

Administrator
Owner
All Users
CHASDT (has my original settings which I want to use)
CHASDT.000
CHASDT.001
CHASDT.002
CHASDT.003 (has temporary settings I've set up since the problem statrted)

I always log in as owner - domain is CHASDT - How do I get the computer to go back to the old system profile?

Thanks

A:Multiple user profiles/folders

Instead of trying to revert to your old profile, copy your old profile into the newest one.

You'll get your old settings back into your new current profile

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/multiple-user-profiles-folders.442437/
Relevancy 54.61%

OK here is a issue that I have been working with for a bit.

How do you copy power schemes for one profile (the Admin or Setup profile) across all profiles that log on to that machine. Users are created in the standard folders under documents and settings, however their windows settings seem to be setup via some sort of profile creation script that windows uses. I have tried copying profile information from the setup profile to default and all users profiles... but it seems to make no difference. What I am looking to do is to keep all users profiles constantly ON, instead of standby after 20 min without changing each profile each time a new one is created.

Help ?

A:Power Schemes across User Profiles (XP Pro)

See if this is any use to you

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-schemes-across-user-profiles-xp-pro.349944/
Relevancy 54.61%

Couldn't quite find the right thread for this so stuck it in General and figured it would be moved if need be.

I'm wanting some more information on Environment Variables such as %userprofile%. Lets say software will install to %appdata% which relates to C:\Users\(CurrentUser)\appdata, that's fine, but what if this is a standard user profile and the installer gives a UAC prompt for Admin Privileges which are then provided, surely the software installer is now running in the admin user profile so %appdata% would relate to C:\Users\Admin\appdata?

Or is this not possible because you are still in the (Standard) user account therefore the "Environment" is still technically in the standard user rather than the admin.

A:Environment Variables and different user profiles

You're correct in that the path would be deviated when elevating. The "environment" is per-user account, indeed. When elevating though UAC (or by using "run as another user), the launched program will run in the same desktop as everything else (that's why you see it alongside your other programs), but will still be running under different credentials, which means another user account, which means getting its own set of environment variables, security permissions and other things, so it will see the paths for the admin profile, not the standard that launched it.

Within the installer itself, it could be one of two things. The whole process is elevated, so effectively the user will see, within it, the environment of the admin account used to pass UAC, and that will get the buggy behavior you describe. It can also ask for options, folders and everything before elevating, in which case the user will see its own familiar environment, which is in turn passed to the elevated worker process afterwards. Which of those approaches it taken depends entirely on how the installer was made.

The fist behavior I describe is a typical case of a broken installer. Actually, many programs exhibit similar bugs due to assuming that Windows is left at its defaults, and simply fail when those assumptions are not meet (the default being here using an admin account by default and elevation don't requiring an extra password). It's a common flaw of many programs, including some from Microsoft and within Windows itself.

A better option here would be to NOT to ask for elevation at all. Since you want to install to your user profile, you don't require any extra privileges for that, simply copy the files and use (that's the basics of the so-called "portables"). The real reason why installers ask for admin credentials is that they typically deploy to program files, which is read-only for standards, and used system-wide. Your profile is, on the opposite, visible to you only.
I would suggest to use the installer to install to program files, or if you really want to drop it on your profile, use a "portable" version instead.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/372934-environment-variables-different-user-profiles.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Howdy,
This is actually my coworker's computer experiencing this problem. When he described it to me, I wound up scratching my head:

Over the past week or so, his XP machine has suddenly produced several new user profiles with strange extensions on the end, like Administrator.WINDOWS and Bob.WINDOWS. The original profiles have remained in place, though. Should I be leery of a possible trojan, or is there some optional XP update that does something like this?

He hasn't brought in the computer yet for us to look over it, but I thought I might stop by here first and ask for you guys' advice.

A:Strange extensions in user profiles

Nope this is actaully very common this can occur for a variety of reasons the main one being the user has 2 accounts with the same name on 2 different networked PC's.

I.E. my machine has a local account called Me then I have a domain account Me.Domain

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/strange-extensions-in-user-profiles.438488/
Relevancy 54.61%

I had moved my W user profile as per the tutorial here User Profiles - Create and Move During Windows Installation While it was easy to follow and it worked fine for several months came across a HUGE issue with that procedure my OS had an issue and I needed to run windows repair - user ( recovery from profiles it) Moving and found it will not work with profiles moved So had to end up with a clean install many hrs of fun So after re-install as the key thing was to free up space I followed this process Moving user profiles ( recovery from it) instead Don't move your Windows user profiles folder to another drive ZDNet Which just moves the mydata folders not the user profile There is one issue I have It is to do with file associations If I take for example and mpeg file if it is on C drive and I double click it it opens fine with the player VLC set in Ctl Panel gt default programs gt set associations If the file is on the drive where I moved the 'my Moving user profiles ( recovery from it) video Moving user profiles ( recovery from it) my documents etc to' i e D it does not open just pop up error of quot This file does not have a programme associated with it quot If I right click and use 'open with' it will run OK If I move file to C it runs by double clicking fine Is there a known issue here Is there a way of forcing associations to be same across both HDD

A:Moving user profiles ( recovery from it)

Quote: Originally Posted by sargan

I had moved my W7 user profile as per the tutorial here ...
User Profiles - Create and Move During Windows 7 Installation
While it was easy to follow and it worked fine for several months came across a HUGE issue with that procedure, my OS had an issue and I needed to run windows repair - and found it will not work with profiles moved. So had to end up with a clean install (many hrs of fun)

If you had browsed the tutorial thread a bit, or at least posted your issue there, you had found out or I had told you that the whole process is easily reversible. It's quite a simple procedure to reverse the process, move Users folder back to C:, do the repair or upgrade install, then move Users back to another drive.

So after re-install as the key thing was to free up space ... I followed this process instead:
Don't move your Windows user profiles folder to another drive | ZDNet

Which just moves the mydata folders, not the user profile.

That article is infamous, discussed a few times in the tutorial thread and other areas of the Seven Forums. You can even find my response to it in article comments, as well as many others pointing out how invalid and old information the article contains. It is based for a Microsoft support article for pre-release Windows Vista from nearly 10 years ago. The "facts" told in that article are no longer valid when we speak about Windows 7.

There is one issue I have .....It is to do with file associations ...
If I take for example and mpeg file ... if it is on C drive and I double click it, it opens fine with the player VLC (set in Ctl Panel > default programs > set associations)

If the file is on the drive where I moved the 'my video, my documents etc to' .. i.e D:\ it does not open ... just pop up error of "This file does not have a programme associated with it ....."
If I right_click and use 'open with' it will run OK
If I move file to C:\ it runs by double clicking fine.

Is there a known issue here ?
Is there a way of forcing associations to be same across both HDD ?

I am sorry but as I have only ever used the Sysprep method, I do not know this and am not able to answer you. Let's hope you get response from other members.

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/364340-moving-user-profiles-recovery.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hey, I am having trouble finding how to create roaming profiles in Vista. I am a Computer/Networking novice and I just practice at home. I have 1 desktop PC and 1 laptop PC and both are connected to my network. I was wondering if there was a way to make it so that my desktop will act as a server and I can log on to my desktop from my laptop using the same profiles that I have in the desktop. I am mediocre at computer technology and I am trying to get my feet wet here in networking. I know XP had User Profile Roaming and I know vista has folder redirection service and profile roaming but I can't seem to figure out how. I want to know if I can do what I want to do and still use my desktop as a regular desktop computer. Any help would be appreciated. Help out a beginner here!

Relevancy 54.61%

I have discovered several NT Workstation systems on our network that are creating multiple user profiles They are all NT with SP an upgrade to a different SP is not an option and Microsoft has Multiple - {Advice User Given} NT Profiles not indicated this to be the problem So far the only fix we have found is a complete rebuild This is very time consuming as well as annoying They do not have anything specific about the platform that is common The registry is of ample size and there are not authintication problems I have also encountered this problem on a PDC on a different network Microsoft has to as yet provide me with an answer To answer a few more questions By multiple profiles I mean for the same user See below The PDC is running SP a It is a Domain not a Workgroup users I assume the users log out properly but I cant watch people Local not romaing profiles However I feel the need to be more specific in what I mean by {Advice Given} - Multiple NT User Profiles multiple profiles By multiple profiles I Do mean for the same user It creates the first profile say jagrant for instance then after logging back in later it creates a second jagrant profile then a third jagrant profile etc {Advice Given} - Multiple NT User Profiles I my many years of NT experience and administration I have never found this to be a normal phenomenon It usually means a corrupt ntuser dat {Advice Given} - Multiple NT User Profiles file However that is not the case in this situation I am and MCSE and have investigated this problem thoroughly with Microsoft going through their suggestions of things to try The person with the answer to this question is going to look at it and say Hey I have encountered that one before here is the problem ------------------ Jeffrey A Grant - MCSE MCP I nbsp

A:{Advice Given} - Multiple NT User Profiles

Greetings

Check to see which services are running BEFORE a user logs on (ie. set at either boot, system or automatic). Then see if any of them is being run using a USER's account, and not a system or service account.

What sometimes happens is that you install a program that comes with an NT service (like a virus protection software), and during installation either you (or the user that is installing the software) does not click the correct setting and uses their own acount to run the service. So, whenever they start their computer, their NTUSER.DAT file is opened by the service. Then, when they try to logon, NT can not open their NTUSER.DAT file as it is already open. So, it just creates a new profile.

The reason why rebuilding the machine works, is that it is likely that you install the offending service correctly.

Hope that helps

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-given-multiple-nt-user-profiles.29171/
Relevancy 54.61%

I have just set up Windows 2000 to run on my computer. I did a clean install from a formated hard drive.

I set up two usernames intitially, the Administrator and then one of my own. Since then I also created another username.

I installed most of the programs that I want to have installed now, and I did them all from the Administrator username.

My question is this. How do I get to allow all of the users to have access to the programs that I have already installed with the Administrator username, and how do I get the Start Menu and desktop to show all of those same things?

Thanks.

DAve

A:{Advice offered} - User Profiles etc

Greetings

Move the Icons from the Administrators Start menu to the All users Start menu. Same with the Desktop icons.

You will find the Administrator's profile in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator

Under the "Documents and Settings" directory, you will also see Directories for your Username, All Users and Default User.

It is into the the All Users account that you want to move the Icons.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-user-profiles-etc.29197/
Relevancy 54.61%

hi all... need help in knowing what's causing "unknown account" to appear in the user profiles... im an IT support of a call center where most of the desktops use winXP pro... all are connected to a domain... with this "unknown account" in the user profiles, one or some users can't login to the domain using that particular PC... error is usually "your profile can't be loaded"... the solution i have is to delete the profile of the user on that PC and the "unknown account" however it would be much better to know what's causing this so as to prevent it from reoccuring. thanks...
ramon

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unknown-account-in-user-profiles.269807/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi everyone,

So I have a SSD that is loaded with my OS (C: )
and a HDD 1TB.(B: )

I would like to move the User profiles to the HDD.
What is the best way to do this?

A:move User profiles to a different drive

Can I put "Users" on SD storage device card?

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/61180-move-user-profiles-different-drive.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi,
I have just obtained a new machine, which will also be used by some children for basic learning. I would ideally like to restrict use of the machine under their profiles so that they cannot, for example, change system settings, change the registry, change display settings, create shortcuts to programs for which I have not given them access via the start menu or desktop, etc.

I used to use a program called poledit.exe in order to restrict individual profiles, but that only functioned under Windows 95 and Windows 98 SE1. I am currently using Windows XP Pro. Does anybody have any suggestions of an alternative program I would be able to obtain in order to restrict individual profiles in the way I have suggested, or another method for receiving this same result? Many thanks in advance for your responses.

Regards,
Chris

A:Restricting user profiles in Windows XP Pro

You can, under your administrator account, add a new user, and choose the limited account option. Under Control Panel>Admin Tools>Local Policies you can look through there and disable/enable functions from there.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/restricting-user-profiles-in-windows-xp-pro-50361.html
Relevancy 54.61%

The machines here in the office are all Deep Frozen with a single user profile that is copied whenever one of our employees logs in. The problem is that this copying of the profile takes an amazingly long amount of time (4 minutes or longer). We don't need users to have their own profiles when they log in because when they reboot, deep freeze wipes everything anyway. So here's the question:

Is there any way that we could set it up so when a new user logs in their profile is pointed to the one we are copying? So instead of copying a new profile, their entry in the registry would just point to the default profile.

A:User profiles and deep freeze

I'm not familiar with DeepFreeze, but don't expect that you can do that.
If you did, the user could modify that profile - which would then be carried over for everyone who uses that system.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/user-profiles-and-deep-freeze-437835.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi there, I am runing a domain network with roaming user profiles, and am having problems accesssing user profiles on my system.

When they are created, their rights are set for the user who created it, but I need read write access to them too; (Can't get into them at current)

What securty, and share settings should be emplyed on the root user profile folder to allow me to do this?

Many thanks.

A:User Profiles - Quick Question

Here's a detailed description I 'googled'.

http://computertips.toups.info/roaming/RoamingXPPro.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profiles-quick-question.685541/
Relevancy 54.61%

Why, when I do a scan using my user profile with adaware and spybot, it finds stuff, I delete it, but then when I scan using my wifes profile adaware and spybot finds other things. Can I scan using one profile and have it scan everything from both profiles?

A:User Profiles with adaware and spybot

No- I think the same might be true of antivirus programs, with multiple users. Do each user separately, unless someone knows how to set this up?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profiles-with-adaware-and-spybot.182372/