Windows Support Forum

How do I change the name of my user folder?

Q: How do I change the name of my user folder?

I installed windows 8 developer preview last night for dual booting purposes last night on a separate 20Gb partition. When I was using Windows 8 I Changed the location of my music library to my user folder on my windows 7 partition. Now when I boot in windows 7 the folder that was previously named after my username is now titled "my music" All of the contents of my users folder are in the folder. I cannot rename the folder back to my username by right clicking it and trying to rename it. any suggestions?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How do I change the name of my user folder?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How do I change the name of my user folder?

It is the desktop.ini file located at the root of your user folder. Delete it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/187555-how-do-i-change-name-my-user-folder.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hey. Someone who now how to change the user folders name. I had try man things but nothing works. HELP

A:How can i change the User folder name?

You can't, not without creating a new user. Your username will change everywhere else in Windows but the folder C:\Users\your user name will retain the username used when the user account was created. That's normal.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/241192-how-can-i-change-user-folder-name.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I have changed the name of my only windwos 8.1 account, but the user folder has not changed and I can't figure out how to do it.

I tired to follow the instructions in this thread:

http://superuser.com/questions/495290/how-to-rename-user-folder-in-windows-8

but threre is no 'local users and group' icon in the computer management app.

so I tried to solve this by following the instructions in this thread:

http://www.kapilarya.com/fix-unable-to-get-local-users-groups-snap-in-in-windows-8-1

but I had the same problem as the guys in the comment section, I just got the message: “This snap-in may not be used with this edition of Windows 8.1. To manage user accounts for this computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel.”

As far as i can see there is no way to change the folder name in control pannel or on the properties tab of the file itself.

Any suggestions?

A:How to change name of user folder

Easiest way is to create a new account with the desired folder name.
Then copy the contents of the old user account to the new user account.
Set a System Restore point and backup your stuff first! (in case it decides that it objects to some of the changes)

If you want to be cautious, then just copy the data over (Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Music, Pictures, and Video - maybe the Desktop contents also)
Don't delete the old folder just yet - in case you need things from it.
Good luck!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579745/how-to-change-name-of-user-folder/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello,
you can change the name of Microsoft in the user folder? (That would be the first 5 characters Microsoft account)
I wish I could do this without losing anything of what I have currently installed.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Hello

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/59561-you-can-change-name-microsoft-user-folder.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello,
you can change the name of Microsoft in the user folder? (That would be the first 5 characters Microsoft account)
I wish I could do this without losing anything of what I have currently installed.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Hello

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/59561-you-can-change-name-microsoft-user-folder.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello i hope someone can help me with this problem.

It looks like some apps got problem with directory letter "ł"

All i want is to change the name of my user folder from "Paweł" to "Pawel" .

default patch atm is c:\users\Paweł

I wanted to create new account Pawel and delete Paweł but i won't be able to move all the settings from what i read on google...

If anyone is interested i will just mention one example the game im talking about is Pandora First Contact this is the error message(wait a sec i will post picture).

Thanks for help in advance.

A:How do I change default user folder name?

you have to change user name to make the change on the user folder ,I do believe, instruction in tutorial below
User Account Name - Change in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/40082-how-do-i-change-default-user-folder-name.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Changed User account name in Control Panel but the User folder in explorer remains the same. No option to Rename at rightclick.

I notice in User Accounts it says the name change is for Welcome screen and Start Menu. Why can't we change the User folder name?

Is there any option besides to delete account and start over? It is the only account and Admin. Will we lose anything other than files in User folders?

A:Can't change User account folder name

I don't believe so. It is a hold over from how Profiles are created. When a user account Profile is created, it sets a specific SID. That SID then stores what it thinks it should have, which, I believe, was also user account folders. I know that I have tried with XP to just pull over someone's profile, even from the domain, but for the computer, it was dead set on the naming convention it stuck for the SID that it would try and recreate it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/118189-cant-change-user-account-folder-name.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Clean install of Windows 10 Anniversary Update. All went perfectly but the folder name in the Users folder is not correct. It is called "greg" and I did not choose this and I don't like it. The name of my actual account in the Control Panel - User Accounts shows correctly.

A Windows bug? Seems I am not the only one to encounter this but nothing definitive on how to fix. Some suggestions included people reporting back with complications.

Is there a simple and clean way to rename this folder without inducing errors? I am not keen on deleting accounts and creating new ones. As mentioned this is a pristine fresh install, would like to keep it that way a little longer than 5 minutes after installation.

Otherwise I will just accept it as is, but not impressed.

Thanks!

A:User Folder Name not correct - how to change?

Hi, this is how it was done in in Win 7 - can't find the equivalent tutorial updated in the tutorial section for Win 10, I'm afraid. Likely to be very similar or the same, but no guarantees.
Solved User Profile Name Change - Windows 10 Forums

It worked as shown here:
User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name - Windows 7 Help Forums

Do feel free to search/browse the Tutorial section, or search the forum - there are numerous threads on this.
e.g.
Rename user folder? - Windows 10 Forums

Note no answer given and the caveats.

Whatever you do, before attempting this, if you do, create appropriate disk images so you can restore your PC to a working state should things go wrong.

Often searching the forum can give you the answer- which is basically what I've done.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/59192-user-folder-name-not-correct-how-change.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I accidentally changed my user folder shortcut name in Windows Explorer user name with folder change shortcut help under Desktop It was changed when I tried to save a file to the desktop and accidentally create new folder while highlight the user folder shortcut It might be a bug in the system since I can t duplicate the change again I have tried to rename it but nothing happens I deleted it but it came back after refresh F There is no property available since this is a special folder or shortcut help with user folder shortcut name change like network shortcut in Windows Explorer I briefly went through the registry and search for shell related value but find none to resolve the issue Did the search on Google and this forum I have help with user folder shortcut name change found nothing related to this problem Maybe I use the wrong word for the search Does anybody know how to reverse the change or edit in the registry help with user folder shortcut name change Thanks I am using Vista Home Basic came with IBM Lenovo ThinkPad George

A:help with user folder shortcut name change

George,

A lot of people would be interested if you could reproduce renaming the User folder. Interesting, but I cannot reproduce what you described either.

Normally the only way to change this is to create a new user account and delete the old one, or reinstall Vista.

Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/118520-help-user-folder-shortcut-name-change.html
Relevancy 64.07%

okay...this is my first time on a forum. i don't know how to start a new thread or message anyone to ask the question which I need answered. so sorry if this is innapropriate but i need to know if there is anyway that I can change the name of my user account folder. my friend sold me his laptop and when he set it up he named it his name. i dont want to see his name every time I download something. I changed the account name but cant figure out the folder name. can someone please give me a little instruction or point me towards a tutorial?

A:change the name of my user account folder

Welcome aboard KyraGator08. Have a look at the link below, if it fulfills your needs

User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/208183-change-name-my-user-account-folder.html
Relevancy 64.07%

(The following terms are translated from German, but perhaps not correctly)

At present I try to familiarize with W8 with a new Toshiba Laptop.

There exists only one user with the name Helmut. I created a local account with the name ?Helmut?. But in the folder-display Computer --> xxx(C: ) --> users appear only the two folders ?Public? and ?TOSHIBA?. I tried with execute --> control userpassword2 --> properties to change the name (from TOSHIBA to Helmut), but again in the folder-structure remains "TOSHIBA".

How can I change the display of this name to the name of the user (e.g. to "Helmut")? Perhaps in the registry? But where ?

Thank you for your help.

Albert

A:How can I change the user-name in the folder-display ?

The only way I know how is to create a new account with the name you want, move your files over from the old one to the new one, then delete the old account.

Just Changing the name of the account won't change the name of the folders.

Creating a new account is the only way to get the folders named the way you want, as far as I know.
It's certainly the easy way.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/22156-how-can-i-change-user-name-folder-display.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Clean install of Windows 10 Anniversary Update. All went perfectly but the folder name in the Users folder is not correct. It is called "greg" and I did not choose this and I don't like it. The name of my actual account in the Control Panel - User Accounts shows correctly.

A Windows bug? Seems I am not the only one to encounter this but nothing definitive on how to fix. Some suggestions included people reporting back with complications.

Is there a simple and clean way to rename this folder without inducing errors? I am not keen on deleting accounts and creating new ones. As mentioned this is a pristine fresh install, would like to keep it that way a little longer than 5 minutes after installation.

Otherwise I will just accept it as is, but not impressed.

Thanks!

A:User Folder Name not correct - how to change?

Hi, this is how it was done in in Win 7 - can't find the equivalent tutorial updated in the tutorial section for Win 10, I'm afraid. Likely to be very similar or the same, but no guarantees.
Solved User Profile Name Change - Windows 10 Forums

It worked as shown here:
User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name - Windows 7 Help Forums

Do feel free to search/browse the Tutorial section, or search the forum - there are numerous threads on this.
e.g.
Rename user folder? - Windows 10 Forums

Note no answer given and the caveats.

Whatever you do, before attempting this, if you do, create appropriate disk images so you can restore your PC to a working state should things go wrong.

Often searching the forum can give you the answer- which is basically what I've done.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/59192-user-folder-name-not-correct-how-change.html
Relevancy 63.64%

I am networking among others Win machines and Win machine One of the Win 's used the same user name and password as the Win machine I wanted to in Folder User Name Profile Change C:\Users fix it so that the two usernames and passwords were different--specifically I wanted to alter the Win user name and password I though first about just changing the username on the Win machine but recalled that doing so would not change the related user profile folder name in C Users I could not recall how to do so I found this tutorial on our Windows forum From a thread on the our Win forum I learned that the procedures of the tutorial also apply to Win maybe there is a related Win tutorial that I didn't find After reading through the tutorial I was uncertain about a few things and also could not figure out why proceeding as described would be advantageous in regard to what seemed like an easier way to get at least mostly the same result So instead of using the tutorial I added a new administrative user--the level I wanted having the user name and password I wanted Copied the files and desktop items shortcuts and a few folders I would need from the old account desktop to the new account desktop Did minor desktop customization on the new desktop I usually don't Change User Profile Folder Name in C:\Users do much theme-wise Deleted the old account and all was good once I joined my HomeGroup and shared a few not HomeGroup items The stage now is set to do an a Change User Profile Folder Name in C:\Users Win Win Lion and Mt Lion networking experiment that I am interested in I had though that some programs and shortcuts might not work but was unconcerned since the computer and its installation are quot old quot I figured that I would just add things back as needed if there were problems As it turns out Change User Profile Folder Name in C:\Users all the programs and shortcuts worked Anyway I am curious about if and why it might have been advantageous to do things the tutorial way rather than the way I did them It seems to me that the fuss and bother is somewhat less the way I proceeded All discussion and thoughts appreciated

A:Change User Profile Folder Name in C:\Users

Hello znod,

I agree that it is best and safer to create a new account instead of trying to rename the old user profile folder.

The tutorial is just how to do it if one really wants to, but I do have the note at the top of the tutorial that would be best to create a new account instead.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/15107-change-user-profile-folder-name-c-users.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hey I'm new here and quot some quot of what's been said covered part of my problem but anyway I figured out how to remove the lock from a user profile folder that was put in my computer under another name then mine before I got this comp It had the lock on it at the time but of was that folder change once in user Can't locked. name c:drive I removed it today I then tried to rename the folder but it won't let me I can Can't change name of user folder in c:drive that was once locked. open it and it shows everything I've downloaded etc but it's under someone else name and it bugs me My name is set as the owner and administrator and I am quot supposedly quot the primary user but and this is after I changed the other name to mine in the registry when I go to the stupid users Can't change name of user folder in c:drive that was once locked. folder it still shows the main user as this other person under his name not mine I can't think of what else to do to do to change the name I feel like I've tried everything I would try to delete the folder but I'm afraid I'll lose everything in it since it's all under his name and not mine How can I change the folder name

A:Can't change name of user folder in c:drive that was once locked.

KindredmSpirit welcome to SevenForums

See if the link below will help you change the user name folder to the one you want

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/290243-cant-change-name-user-folder-c-drive-once-locked.html
Relevancy 63.64%

On new W10 computer the OEM created an account in their name. I can change it to mine (at least, to show up on logon), but how can I change the name of the folder under the 'User\theirname' folder?message edited by jjshap

A:Change user account folder name on new Windows 10 OEM PC

What you're seeing is the profile folder. The only way to change that is to hack the Registry. Are you comfortable with that?

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/change-user-account-folder-name-on-new-windows-10-oem-pc/306.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello -
When I did my initial install of Win7 (fresh install) I created my Administrator account with the name of "Denis". I would like to change the name of the Administrative account to "denisl". I went into control panel and changed the account name, which worked, but the folder remained named as "Denis" under the "users" folder. How do I rename the folder named "Denis" to "denisl"?

Thanks!

A:Change user folder name of Administrator account

take a look at this tutorial User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/212928-change-user-folder-name-administrator-account.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I know this seems like a trivial thing but just curious if anyone can figure out why it broke Originally I went into C Users icon anymore. folder profile user change my Cant and went into the Properties of my profile folder Went to the Customize tab then Change Icon and chose a custom icon After doing this when I would click on the start Cant change my user profile folder icon anymore. button and hover over my name in the upper right part of the start menu the icon would change to that of my custom icon visual explanation of what I mean Anyway now the problem it worked fine for several months then it suddenly stopped showing my custom icon As you can see in that picture it went back to the default generic icon when I hover over my name So I go back into the Properties of my C Users David folder back to Customize but then beside the Change Icon button the sample of what it will look like still shows my custom icon yet it's not displaying anymore For giggles I click change icon and again browse to my custom icon and hit OK on everything But it's just not working I've tried choosing to restore the default icon option and then change it to something custom again I've tried different custom icons Ive tried using native windows icons In the GUI it appears as if my choice was taken yet on the start menu the icon continues to just be the default one Just curious if anyone would have any suggestions TiA

A:Cant change my user profile folder icon anymore.

Hello Club,

You should be able to change your user profile folder's icon using OPTION ONE in the tutorial below through the Desktop Icon Settings dialog instead.

User Folders - Change Default Icon

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/194419-cant-change-my-user-profile-folder-icon-anymore.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I just bought a used computer quite new though from a longtime friend who s a tech for a local shop He did a fresh install of XP Pro w SP and it s a very clean system Now it turns out that when he did the install months ago he intended to give this to his father-in-law so therefore named the folder under C Documents amp Settings to Kevin Unfortunately I didn t discover this until after installing several programs and changing preferences and now read that you cannot change or rename this folder which is created at the time of the OS installation I have read that one can copy data from one User Profile to another under Docs Need Delete to Change Settings & User or Folder so I m wondering if I can copy everything from the Kevin folder into my new one which I ve set up with Administrator privileges and then delete Kevin Initially I considered uninstalling everything that was installed today and then reinstall it all again while logged on as me yet that still won t get rid of that stupid Kevin folder Is there seriously no way out of this but to reinstall XP Pro drivers updates and all the rest That means starting over from scratch and I seriously hope that s not the case Thanks edited Need to Change or Delete User Folder under Docs & Settings to correct typo in topic title Queen-Evie

A:Need to Change or Delete User Folder under Docs & Settings

The title is supposed to read, "Need to Change OR Delete User Folder under Docs & Settings," but of course that can't be corrected, apparently. Spotted that right after posting, but can't find any way to change it...oh well.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/443069/need-to-change-or-delete-user-folder-under-docs-settings/
Relevancy 62.78%

Is there a way to make take ownership change file/folder permission to machine/user while getting rid of old and or corrupted information?

Just something that came to mind when I was fooling with format/reinstalling windose again. I dunno if its something to be aware of or not but knowing windose it might be a bad thing if it gets to cluttered with iffy info.

And is there a way to change system file/folder permission's to the new install? Sometimes something goes wonky and I have nothing but problems from folders deep within programdata/windows/appdata not wanting to allow an installer to put stuff in there.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/55350-change-file-folder-permission-machine-user-only.html
Relevancy 62.78%

NOTE - I'm quite a noob - but can follow directions Some of your eliminate MS change default and Want login user folder to tutorials are awesome Here's Want to eliminate MS login and change default user folder my situation I have preinstalled Win on new desktop now upgraded to When I first started setting it up and it required an account login I didn't really realize that it was going to exist outside my computer I used my full name and primary email account for it Then it set up a Want to eliminate MS login and change default user folder folder s under Users using my name in the file structure When I copied over say quot Documents quot from my Win machine they now show in a path of This PC Windows Users myname Documents I will not be using quot the cloud quot for anything and want to only have a local account with Admin Privileges and a local account for using of the time Hence a multi-part question If I make a change to my MS password like setting it up with a non-identifying username password with a Hotmail email which I never use how will it affect my docs pics music etc that is under Users myname If I change the MS login to a LOCAL login what effect would it have instead Is there a way to get myname out of the file structure and rename it something neutral or will that bring chaos And as long as I'm asking things I created the new Admin-Account and Daily-Account but it seems like neither of them can access anything They just get quot permission denied quot - even on the Admin one I set up a Hotmail account for them both so they have MS logins as well Can I just switch them to LOCAL logins as well Sorry this is so long I'm just very confused

A:Want to eliminate MS login and change default user folder

Give these a try:

Local Account - Switch to in Windows 8
User Account Name - Change in Windows 8

Please understand that I did not try to unravel everything in your post, or try to answer every question, because it was just too much (for me personally) to try and answer all of your questions; however, the above should get you started nicely. Good luck.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/34086-want-eliminate-ms-login-change-default-user-folder.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Customising user folder icons has always been a bit tricky All user folders apart from the desktop and contacts user folders can be changed via the customize tab in properties when the user folder is accessed from my computer i e not from the desktop To customise the desktop and contacts user folders requires a registry change For Windows this is explained here User Folders - Change Default Icon - Windows Help Forums and the necessary reg files are also provided This method actually worked for me too in Windows However after the newest updates the icons icons? to How user the folder Desktop and change Contacts I had added this way have disappeared and so has the customize tab which I had added via the reg files available on the page mentioned above Repeating the reg change would not make a difference The newest updates must have changed something in the Windows registry to that effect through those updates all other user folders also lost the custom icon I had previously added but I was able to easily restore them as the customize tab of these user folders didn't disappear Hence my question how to now change the folder icons for the desktop and contacts user folders in windows Since all my other user folders are customised in a particular style leaving the default icon for the desktop and contacts folders looks a bit weird

A:How to change the Desktop and Contacts user folder icons?

You could get the trial version of Microangelo on Display:

Home of Microangelo: The Grand Daddy of Icon Software

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/31693-how-change-desktop-contacts-user-folder-icons.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi Long story short I have a win on one drive and installed win on another drive physically different drive Whilst in win I tried to access my user profile on the win drive - prompt came saying 'you dont have access to this folder click ok to get access permanently - accidentally I clicked OK Initially didnt see a problem whilst in win but on next reboot I wanted to boot in to win I got the black screen of death with mouse Reading the net I followed a thread change folder screen death user pointer after permissions of mouse with Black and changed permission on the drive using CACLS amp ICACLS this improved it so that instead of Black screen of death with mouse pointer after user folder permissions change black screen I got the Win ' default blue screen where the login should take place but no log in and the screen flashes to black every now and then Tried to restore registry from win sys config - no cahnge Next boot into win the drive with win is there but no size is shown next to the drive and it is inaccessible Have tried repair - cannot repair system restore - cannot find any restore point where there are many Safe mode the same low res the same nothing works I place the win drive in to my linux PC and all the files are there no issues I then decided to take a image of the partition before doing anything else to it used Acronis to get the image and Acronis does not seem to have any issues reading the drive reading the image all the files are there What I noticed was two exe files in the root of my win Black screen of death with mouse pointer after user folder permissions change drive these are SetACL exe and subinacl exe These files may be legit but I dont see these files on my other win PC or on the win so I am wondering why there are there in the first place and if they are causing the problem I have not really lost any data so i am not interested in recovering data but to recover my win drive so anyone with any ideas Second attachment is my win sys config - where I tried restoring registry not sure if all OK there Latest update removed both SetACL exe amp subinacl exe no change Safe Mode repair last good low res etc all dont work I know the drive is fine number of CHKDSK finds nothing wrong either a corrupted file or a malware which I doubt the as I have AVG amp Malwarebyte monitoring in real time and they found nothing Currently drive is not accessible in Windows Explorer but it is in Command Prompt See attached Thanks Sean

A:Black screen of death with mouse pointer after user folder permissions change

Hi seanstevens,and Welcome,

How did you install win 10 on its drive and was win 7 always on the other(i.e.were you trying for a dual boot)?

Hedge

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/590009/black-screen-of-death-with-mouse-pointer-after-user-folder-permissions-change/
Relevancy 57.19%

A twist on the creation of user folders on a drive other than C: in Win 7 Ultimate. Does anyone know if one could designate a user folder location such as E:\Data instead of using the users name and being a subdirectory of "Users". I am the ONLY one on my computer - and it would seem much easier to look to the top folder in the E drive than clicking thru E:, users, name, documents, project. I fully realize that I can set up shortcuts, but when you are in an application that wants to place a file somewhere else and presents you with an explorer windows it is a pain. The only method I thought of is using redirection with symbolic links. Every time I try to use symbolic links, I end up with something other than I anticipated. Any ideas would be appreciated - setting up new machine so anything goes!

A:User Profile folder - static folder instead of created by user signon

User Profile - Change Default Location - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/214954-user-profile-folder-static-folder-instead-created-user-signon.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I've got a customer who's XP Pro box crashed. He Re-Installed XP Pro using the "Delete existing Windows folder" option. Now he can't gain acces to his previous user "Documents and Settings" folder even after recreating the same user and password in the new install. I'm thinking this is because the Windows "Computer Name" has changed. Anyone know of a way to get into and change the old computer name to the new computer name?

Relevancy 53.75%

First, please forgive me if I have overlooked this issue in the many searches I have performed thus far.

I would like to know if anyone has a way to change all folder icons within a single folder to one specific icon without performing each one individually. I have over 1,400 folders within a master folder of which I would like to change the child folder icons. I really don't wish to perform this on a folder-by-folder basis.
This is not a Default Folder Icon Change inquiry. This is simply all child folders within a single master folder. I would also be interested if the change would affect all folders of a specific type. Windows 7 does allow the 'setup' of a folder to be distributed (details view with selected details, order, and column size for example) but the icon did not distribute as well.

Any suggestions?

A:Bulk Change All Folder Icons in Single Folder or Folder Type

First, a little bit of theory. What happens when a person sets a custom icon for a folder in Windows 7?
1. Attributes of a Folder change to Read-only (of the folder, NOT content!).
2. A hidden system file created inside that folder, which contains a link to the icon.

Thus, having such file as model, it is possible simply copy it across desired folders, and change attributes of those folders correspondingly.

Secondly, having this idea in my mind, I have put all of my little knowledge of Batch files together and created a script.
BEFORE script is started the following is needed to be done:
Master folder needs to be selected and a custom icon applied to it.

ONLY AFTER THAT
1. Script is placed inside that master folder and launched.
2. First, script checks if hidden system file with custom icon settings is there.
3. Secondly, script looks for subfolders and start changing its attributes.
4. Thirdly, script copies this settings file to all subfolders of current master folder, including all levels of subfolders.

For 100 folders it took about 21 seconds, for 200 folders with different levels of subfolders it took about 57 seconds on my laptop.

I have included remarks (comments) in the source code for better understanding what is going on.

UPDATE: Original file deleted. Script was not meant to be applied to system folders.
Please check a newer FIXED version at this post.

PLEASE READ NEW INSTRUCTION IN THAT POST.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/157162-bulk-change-all-folder-icons-single-folder-folder-type.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Having just learned from an OLD post here that renaming a user account apparently doesn't change the order in which the corresponding logon icons appear at startup -- due to the order being apparently determined by when each folder was originally created, which was when this computer was first opened back in 2011 -- I want to be able, after creating a new user account, to migrate data from the account whose name I changed. I'd been previously suggested to try User Profile Wizard from Forensit.com... would this be a good idea, or can you suggest something different?

HP/Compaq CQ2014, AMD E-300, Radeon HD graphics, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit custom SP1, 3MB RAM, 500GB disk

Bob

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/392313-create-new-user-migrate-old-users-data-change-logon-icon-order.html
Relevancy 51.6%

(reposted from Customization)

Having just learned from an OLD post here that renaming a user account apparently doesn't change the order in which the corresponding logon icons appear at startup -- due to the order being apparently determined by when each folder was originally created, which was when this computer was first opened back in 2011 -- I want to be able, after creating a new user account, to migrate data from the account whose name I changed. I'd been previously suggested to try User Profile Wizard from Forensit.com... would this be a good idea, or can you suggest something different?

HP/Compaq CQ2014, AMD E-300, Radeon HD graphics, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit custom SP1, 3MB RAM, 500GB disk

Bob

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/392449-create-new-user-migrate-old-users-data-change-logon-icon-order.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hey I recently started to notice some strange activity on my MacBook, and am unable to change the root user, along with this on my console the country code sometimes changes to NL without me doing so. Sometimes I also get a message on my console saying "parental controls, start observing". Is there something fishy going on ?, any help much appreciated, thanks

A:Unable to change root user and country change on console, mac osx

Please post any operating (or infection) problems to the Mac forum area, as they are not handled here ...........

Operating Systems → Mac OS  ...............

Thank You - - - -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/552928/unable-to-change-root-user-and-country-change-on-console-mac-osx/
Relevancy 50.74%

On build I noticed a new Desktop Icon 'desktop' - solid yellow icon No need for that on the desktop so I put it in the Recycle Bin and to my amazement a popup appeared - quot This folder is too big to recycle do you want to permanently delete it quot after it compiled the size IF were to go ahead and do this - the Desktop clears out of folders a blank Desktop On build I noticed a new Desktop Icon 'my user name' I had no reason to go directly to that folder in C Users so I put it in the Recycle Bin and to my amazement it started to compile the size after that the popup would have appeared - quot This folder is too big to recycle do you Icon - Issue 10586 leads User User DELETION Folder deleted to want to permanently delete it quot IF were to 10586 Issue - User Icon deleted leads to User Folder DELETION go ahead and do this - the ENTIRE CURRENT USER FOLDER would be GONE I'm now running rs release - - which quot fixed it quot by requiring Administrator approval to 10586 Issue - User Icon deleted leads to User Folder DELETION continue Why is any Desktop Icon once deleted deleting any other file but itself System Restore wouldn't do any good for that GB of videos gone

A:10586 Issue - User Icon deleted leads to User Folder DELETION

Have not seen that on mine. Are you sure that no third party utility placed that icon, along with maybe third party Internet Security software.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/37679-10586-issue-user-icon-deleted-leads-user-folder-deletion.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi! I did an new install of windows 7 (home first then upgraded to pro)
I want to hide a user by doing this on the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows NT \CurrentVersion \Winlogon \SpecialAccounts\ UserList ..then add dword32 by my username value to 0
I did this on my old laptop and it worked perfectly.

Now I've done the same thing on my new laptop. It works but stangely, the folder still appears in c\users.

The user is not visible in the panel control\users or at the start of the PC

I'm sure i've done the right thing, what is causing this? Could it be a bad install of windows? Please let me know if you have a idea!

Thank you very much for your help!

A:Hide user by registry stange problem: User still appears in C folder

If you log into that user it is going to have a user directory, regardless if you have the user hidden or not.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/339572-hide-user-registry-stange-problem-user-still-appears-c-folder.html
Relevancy 50.31%

My user profile became corrupted after years of problem-free usage no clue why so now I to (after new user copy user profile Cannot data ) folder corrupted always end up in a temporary account after a reboot As per Microsoft's instructions I found here Fix a corrupted user profile - Windows Help I created a new account logged out and logged in again using another account Cannot copy user data to new user folder (after profile corrupted ) not the newly created one tried to copy the data from the account that had its user profile corrupted to the new account However under C Users the user folder I want to copy from is a white generic icon not a folder and it Cannot copy user data to new user folder (after profile corrupted ) is padlocked and has a size of KB - so I can't open it to copy from Looking at how much data is on C it looks as if all my data could still be there I hope How could I get access to copy all data from my old account into the new account Many thanks in advance for some hints as to what to do

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/380166-cannot-copy-user-data-new-user-folder-after-profile-corrupted.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi I have been having trouble gaining access to my user user folder to get to my app data details if i right click there is no option to run as administrator i havn't changed access to how user/(user) padlock/gain remove to folder the share options how to remove padlock/gain access to user/(user) folder but i did follow these instructions nbsp nbsp Quote Originally Posted by Christian Smith If you wanted to remove it just right click on the folder gt Properties gt Security gt Click quot Edit quot how to remove padlock/gain access to user/(user) folder next to change permissions gt Click quot add quot gt if the folder is nothing really personal etc type quot everyone quot Into the dialog box Hit the enter key and quot Apply quot quot Ok quot etc Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups Hope that helps and it stated that i didn't have permissions as it ran through a list of items I then followed these instructions Local Users and Groups Manager - Open and in both option and it stated that quot this computer is running windows home premium this snapin may not be used with this version of windows to manage user accounts for this computer use the user accounts tool in the control panel quot in option the local user and groups option is not there as far as i am aware and in the user account option i am the only user running on this computer and as administrator i am therefore at a loss and any help would be gratefull

A:how to remove padlock/gain access to user/(user) folder

Hello worligig,

You might see if installing and using Take Ownership may allow you to be able to access it afterwards.

Take Ownership Shortcut

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/321220-how-remove-padlock-gain-access-user-user-folder.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi using windows I am unable to move user profile folders to a (C:\user\*username*) to Unable different move folder to location user different Unable to move user folder (C:\user\*username*) to different location drive C drive space is limited I have attempted to move it Unable to move user folder (C:\user\*username*) to different location via the MMC LU amp G snap-in and it refuses to work both with old accounts that already existed and new ones that had never been logged in I have attempted with each of the accounts I want to move to no avail the whole user folder remains in C users rather than B users I have used this method successfully before admittedly on a different virtual machine unsure as to why it's failing on this one I have also attempted to rename the folder in C users to C users username old while keeping the MMC settings the same but that only throws up a temporary profile error also searched through the registry for the keys that define the location of the user folder using the administrator account to no avail How do I get Windows to do what I want rather than what it wants Thank you

A:Unable to move user folder (C:\user\*username*) to different location

How about this method to move User Profile - Change Default Location

It is a the safer method to move User Folders - Change Default Location.

If not try SFC /SCANNOW Command.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/376773-unable-move-user-folder-c-user-username-different-location.html
Relevancy 49.88%

A past virus must have caused this.The C:\Users folder is not visible in explorer for some reason.I can still visit the contents and the pc works fine,but this is not right.Also, there is a lock on my users/alexandros folder icon.Maybe it has something to do?

A:Users folder not visible in explorer,lock on admin's user folder icon?

Oh,note that i went in and tried to give "users" read and write rights of the users\alexandros folder to see if the lock goes away ,but i saw the processing was taking too much time and also some files had access denied so i quit.I hope i did not mess up

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/300824-users-folder-not-visible-explorer-lock-admins-user-folder-icon.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I clicked on the Hidden box of Properties for a couple of my folders.

I lost my limited user account folder in the Users folder. How do I get it back?

Thanks,
theAdmiral

A:I lost my limited user account folder icon in Users folder.

You mean you hide it? If that what happened, just change the folder view setting to show up the hidden folders.
Refer here:
Hidden Files and Folders - Show or Hide

If that isn't what happened, then elaborate the situation much more.
Take Care

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/195276-i-lost-my-limited-user-account-folder-icon-users-folder.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello all This is my first post I am looking forward to getting involved with the community here As the title says I cannot log into my Windows computer and I get the error message quot The user profile service failed the sign in User profile cannot be loaded quot This appears to be a common problem from the searching around I have done however none of what I could find addressed my particular issue The setup I have on my desktop is a SSD boot drive with Windows and a HDD data drive When first installing windows I cannot folder other User on drive profile loaded, be user followed this tutorial to move the user User profile cannot be loaded, user folder on other drive folder to the larger data drive It has been working fine for nearly User profile cannot be loaded, user folder on other drive years I purchased an additional SSD with the aim to setup a RAID to increase the capacity of the boot drive need more programs During installation I was doing a bit of debugging work and booted up the computer without the data drive where my user profile is and I received the aforementioned error After shutting down and rebooting with the original setup of drives Boot drive and data drive I am still getting the error What I can only assume is when attempting to login only using the boot drive it created a temporary user profile that it is now trying to load and is no longer pointing to the data drive even after replacing it Hopefully someone will be able to help me out Many thanks in advance Josh

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/70313-user-profile-cannot-loaded-user-folder-other-drive.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi guys.

Windows 8 screwed up my old user account so I had to transfer to a new one. Unfortunately that new one was named after my email address for some reason as I logged on as a microsoft account rather than a local one. Hence in my computer its called users/email_000

This is very annoying.

I've read tutorials on this from other versions of windows ie. here : User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name - Windows 7 Forums

However it doesn't work for Windows 8. When I try one of the earliest steps (renaming the user folder itself) I cant do it as its 'open in another program' even though that User is not logged on.

Any workarounds? Ive created another admin local user, to no avail.

Thanks for your help!

A:CHANGING User Account Folder names as well as User Name

Hello Chookyman, and welcome to Eight Forums.

The best method to do this is to create a new user account with the name you want, make it an administrator account type or leave as a standard user, sign out, sign in to the new account, then delete the old account.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/11333-changing-user-account-folder-names-well-user-name.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Help! After a reboot that didn?t work correctly and having to boot in safe mood then regular boot up my desktop, Files and programs available are all not the same.
It looks like I am a different user even though my user account name has not changed.
My Documents is not showing my true documents. I cannot see MS Office Excel, Word, etc? I can see MS Outlook 2013 but it?s asking me to setup when I already did previously.
I can navigate to c:\users\userId and find all my true documents (My Document).

What can be done? Anything?

A:User Account now not pointing to correct user folder

Hello David mate first try these Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7 start at point 15 and then do a ckdsk Disk Check

then work through the other stuff

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/293415-user-account-now-not-pointing-correct-user-folder.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi there,

In Win-7, as an admin-user, it was easy to change the picture from another user. In Win-8 I'm only able to find where I can change my own picture. Can't I set it anymore for other users?

Cheers.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/11409-change-user-account-picture-another-user.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I installed Win x with a user name quot user quot a long time ago At some point I changed the User's name to quot Karen quot to make it easier to spot on the home network etc The Computer Name quot Dell quot has not changed Today I wanted to connect to the computer quot Karen quot using my workgroup not a homegroup All of my other computers now share with workgroup However the computer quot I Name user the and user's the Can remove old change completely name? Karen quot does not Can I change the user's Name and completely remove the old user name? require a password to logon so when I tried to connect via the workgroup I got a popup box asking for the Credentials to Connect I need to enter the User Name and Password to connect to quot Dell quot And I and wife don't know the password Anyways I reset the password using the quot Reset Forgotten Password quot tutorial going into registry etc That worked but I still could not access the computer Karen - windows would not accept the password Running quot net users Can I change the user's Name and completely remove the old user name? quot I see that I don't have a User quot Karen quot I have a user quot user quot So i used that user name with the new password and I'm connected All is good But how do I get rid of quot user quot and replace with quot Karen quot Can this be done

A:Can I change the user's Name and completely remove the old user name?

Quote: Originally Posted by CountryBumkin

But how do I get rid of "user1" and replace with "Karen"? Can this be done?

When a new user is created in Windows, either the first user when Windows is installed or any user later on, and the new user has signed in to Windows first time, the user profile is created and named. Any later username change does not change the name of the user profile.

An example, if my ex-wife had created a user account for me on a Windows computer she had most probably named it as "Idiot". If I then later on changed my username on that computer from "Idiot" to "Kari", my profile had remained as "Idiot".

Basically, the easiest way to change this is to create a new user account and profile with the preferred name, copy the personal files and folders from C:\Users\Wrong_Username folder to C:\Users\New_Username, and delete the user Wrong_Username completely.

In your case now you can try the method told in this tutorial: User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/372135-can-i-change-users-name-completely-remove-old-user-name.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello first I same contents on HomeGroup remote Unable folder folder change to in want to apologize up front if this topic Unable to change folder contents on remote folder in same HomeGroup has already been posted with the problem resolution as well I have searched throughout the networking and sharing threads but was unable to find what I'm looking for I have two computers in my home a Tower PC and a Laptop both running Windows Home Prem bit Both computers use the same usernames and passwords to log-in to each respective computer locally Both PC's are in the same HomeGroup using the same HomeGroup password I'm attempting to access the user folder on my laptop remotely from my Desktop I'm sharing the user folder on the laptop and the permissions are as follows Username Owner HomeGroup Read Write Everyone Read Write --- gt recently added 'Everyone' in the hope that I'd be able to change the contents of the remote user folder from the desktop In this case I'm attempting to rename a folder within the remote user directory --When I go to rename the folder within the remote user's folder directory I get the following error -You need permission to perform this action -You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder --Try Again or Cancel buttons are my only choices So why is it that I've given read write permission on the laptop end to my user folder for 'HomeGroup' and 'Everyone quot but am still unable to remotely rename a folder within that shared folder I appreciate any help or suggestions you may have to help me through this Again I'm sorry if this has already been addressed in the thread however I just can't seem to locate a similar issue within the hundreds of possible threads Thank you in advance for any help you can offer

A:Unable to change folder contents on remote folder in same HomeGroup

Hi Ducey, welcome to Seven Forums.
I trashed HomeGroup and did this, Network Sharing Set Up.pdf

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/187418-unable-change-folder-contents-remote-folder-same-homegroup.html
Relevancy 49.88%

When I'm in a folder and changes the folder view from, say, List to Extra Large Icons, the folder view changes for all the folders on my computer, which is a royal PITA. Is there any way to change the folder view only in the folder I'm in at the time and leave the setting for the other folders as is? Example: have picture folders set for Extra Large Icons and some document folders set for List and others, Details.

A:Change Folder View Setting from Global to Individual Folder

If this doesn't help I'm not sure what will outside some third party app,
Folder View - Apply to Folders

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/301627-change-folder-view-setting-global-individual-folder.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I tried to completely rename my pc acct, user profile folder, etc; using this thread:

It didn't work. The 1st time I booted, W-7 had created a new acct with beginning user settings (taskbar programs, desktop, display, etc). I then reversed the changes and logged off. I rebooted and my original desktop and name appeared.

But, I also found an additional entry in C:\Users: a Temp folder with a padlock icon attached.

An instruction I followed in the rename procedures was to reverse any shared folders in C:Users.

For now, I've abandoned the rename & just want to clean up the damage. What should be done with the Temp folder with a padlock icon?

A:Temp folder with padlock icon in C:\User folder after try PC rename

I would not recommend a full rename as shown however you can go in users and rename your profile there. Since programs could still be using the original folder I would leave that be. If you tried to log into the account and you had not changed the registry correctly then Windows would have created that temporary folder. You can take ownership of it and look inside of it to make sure that you don't have data in there but I suspect that you don't. Provided that there isn't anything in there that is vital and your profile is working correctly then you should be able to remove that folder. Take Ownership of file

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/398129-temp-folder-padlock-icon-c-user-folder-after-try-pc-rename.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I had moved 'My Pictures' folder away from C Users username My Pictures when I first set the computer up and I had it in another partitioned drive E For space reason I wanted to move it back to it's original location above and moved the whole folder across to the 'My in do error and folder User merged How unmerge Pictures' folder I C but instead of having How do I unmerge User folder and 'My Pictures' folder merged in error it as a folder in the username folder as it should be I merged it in error with the username folder The folder is now named My Pictures and has the path C Users My Pictures in the registry I have hopefully attached the properties of the folder which shows that there is no How do I unmerge User folder and 'My Pictures' folder merged in error location tab The network path is shown as HOME Users username How do I clean up the folder back to it's standard user folder detail without the merged detail of My Pictures and I guess the easier part is to create a new My Pictures folder and point the registry to it as per the detail in the top line Please help a newbie Cheers Dan

A:How do I unmerge User folder and 'My Pictures' folder merged in error

Have you tried a System Restore back to a date prior to doing what you did? That MAY fix it.

System Restore can be accessed from Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/250271-how-do-i-unmerge-user-folder-my-pictures-folder-merged-error.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi

Can you change icons on Program and Windows-folder in C:\ ?

example:

A:Change Icons, On Program folder and Windows folder

Right click on the Program folder.... then properties ... then select the Customize tab.... and under Folder Icons ....select "Change Icons"... then click on Browse and choose you .ico file

Folder Icon Change - Vista Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/251173-change-icons-program-folder-windows-folder.html
Relevancy 49.45%

How do you custom the icon from regedit for folder that contains data.
I have tried to modify the value for icon 162 with another icon inside the "Shell Icons" folder but does not work. It seams that the only icon that is allowed to be customized in this folder is #3 ( empty folder - no data). Where do i need to modify?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/385699-change-regedit-all-folder-icons-folder-contain-items.html
Relevancy 49.45%

HELP!!!

I turned my computer on after work and found that it seemed like everything had been deleted, as in I had no installed programmes anymore and my documents, pictures and videos libraries were empty. Also that I had no record of my email anymore.. So I had a look and found this new user folder (Dan.Dan-PC) which was created in my users folder.

My old user (Dan) is still there which has all my old information and library structure there but it is not being showed anymore. It is some virus which is loading these new libraries on startup!! Please help me!!!

I did a scan with AVG and got this:

A:Virus making new user folder in users folder!?

You might try the procedure's listed in the guide. This system seems to be pretty far gone. Interesting virus, a swing and a miss for AVG.
How to easily clean an infected computer (Malware Removal Guide)

Having an extra drive with a recent system image + system restore procedure using DVD is the best method for fixing these problems.

Of course these days you need to keep that extra drive unplugged if you really want to keep it safe.

You might want to try the security section of the forum for more help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/330730-virus-making-new-user-folder-users-folder.html
Relevancy 49.45%

HELP! I've accidentally moved my Documents Folder into my user profile folder by mistake and now i have a mess. basically I now have a folder that goes something like this: c:\users\documents\ and it contains a duplicate of everything that was already in the desktop\username\documents folder except now I can't rename or delete my user profile folders...ad I don't have a restore point to go back to what can I do? any help would be very much appreciated please!! Thanks!!

A:Moved Documents Folder to User Profile Folder

You could try to open another user account. I think that would be a possible way to solve your problem.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/278335-moved-documents-folder-user-profile-folder.html
Relevancy 49.45%

So I was trying to remap my User folders (e.g. Documents, Pictures) to a different drive by changing the location. What I accidentally managed to do is (I think) migrate my Contacts folder with my User folder. Now, when I go into C>Users, instead of my name, I see the actual Contacts folder. When I go into it, it has all my user folders, but I can't rename it and I don't know how to get it back to normal. I was having trouble restoring the contacts folder with the rest of my user folders but I managed to do that. Now I have... two Contacts folders? One is in with the rest of my user folders, the other IS my User folder. Please help me fix this mistake.

A:Replaced User folder with Contacts folder, how to restore?

See if this helps, User Folders - Restore Default Location - Windows 7 Help Forums. I've accidentally messed them up myself by clicking the wrong folder. Restoring defaults fixed it for me. The tricky part is whether to move the contents back or not. I'm think you shouldn't, at least not automatically anyway.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/60028-replaced-user-folder-contacts-folder-how-restore.html
Relevancy 49.45%

...tor folder, and public folder?

I only need one! I want the Administrator folder as my main folder.

The libraries folder has nothing from my Administrator folder, the Public folder is redundant and useless, and my user folder is empty.

I want my Administrator folder to be my libraries folder (systeam folder).

Why is my Administrator folder in the Network submenu?

I did enable the Windows 7 Administrator account, switched, and deleted the user account I was forced to create when first running my laptop.

A:How do I fix this mess -- libraries folder, user folder, administra...

If you right click in the navigation pane and select Show all folders thia should give you what you need

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/134974-how-do-i-fix-mess-libraries-folder-user-folder-administra.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I ve USER Solved: Folder/User the Name Renaming got a hand-me-down laptop that I inherited from my dad IBM Thinkpad X which is running Windows XP Home Edition I never cease to be amazed at what sort of weird configurations my dad managed to get in place or how much time it takes to undo some of these configurations Solved: Renaming the USER Folder/User Name now that the laptop has been handed down Sometimes it almost Solved: Renaming the USER Folder/User Name reminds me of the story of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow I ve noted that under Task Manager somehow my dad got the User Name under the Processes tab which usually displays USER to somehow display his name let just say for right now it s displaying Icabod How do I reconfigure that setting to just display USER Although I m not using the suspect laptop right now I think that he managed to rename the USER folder under Documents and Setting directory to Icabod and that s why it shows up under the User Name on the Task Manager This change apparently has nothing to do with the Computer Name or Computer Description Name or Workgroup Name How do I change that back to just say USER or whatever the default setting is I tried to change the USER folder name on my own laptop and Window rejected my attempt to do that with some message that the USER folder name was a system requirement signed Washington Irving nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

I have computers which are serially named I recently decided to do the same folder need to to agree user user with name rename I with my primary user names on each computer So I went through and did some renaming I found I had problem when I could not log on using remote desktop because my credentials were not accepted due to user name conflict I eventually got this sorted out on most of the computers by changing names back but now I have one left where the user account name I want to use is different than the folder name that is associated with I need to rename user folder to agree with user name that user I would like to get everything back in sync I've read a number of discussions about how to do this but I'm not sure of the best approach I have several options Change I need to rename user folder to agree with user name the user name to agree with the folder name Change the folder name to agree with the user name Create a new user name and copy the files from the existing user folder to the new user folder Reinstall Windows taking care to get the names the way I want My impression is that is problematic If so which of the others might be the best choice I also be interested in hearing why this long standing problem has not been fixed if anyone knows

A:I need to rename user folder to agree with user name

The actual C:\users\(your user name) is set when you first create the account. After that if you change the username its displayed almost everywhere as the one you changed it to but the original folder name won't change. I'm sure there is a reason for that but I don't know what it is. Probably because there are so many references to it in the registry etc that changing it in every location without breaking something would be problematic. Installed programs may reference it to so you'd end up with programs that wouldn't work after renaming the actual folder. for that reasone I wouldn't be all that keen to try option 2. I'd go with 3 or 4, probably in that order.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/250313-i-need-rename-user-folder-agree-user-name.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I'm using Windows In my My Documents folder C Users lt MYNAME gt Documents I have a folder let's call it X that contains yet more folders change folder directory? display whole not and to only How for folder of images let's call them X Xn So the paths are C Users lt MYNAME gt Documents X X Xn My My How to change folder display only for folder and not whole directory? Documents folder uses the Details display However for folders X Xn and ONLY those folders I wish to use the display option Large Icons However changing the display for any of the Xi folders causes the display to change for ALL folders in My Documents all folders in path C Users lt MYNAME gt Documents I have tried several different tactics but have not been able to change the display for ONLY folders X to Xn I asked on another forum and someone said it might have to do with the concept of libraries I researched the subject but am not anywhere closer to finding a solution The folder X is program folder and the Xi are folders that the program creates to stock the images I could just manually move all images to the My Images folder C Users lt MYNAME gt Pictures since that folder has Large Icons display but I would rather keep the Xi image folders together with its program folder X in My Documents Anyone know how I can do this It's driving me insane I keep having to switch displays just to see icons of the pictures in the Xi Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587721/how-to-change-folder-display-only-for-folder-and-not-whole-directory/
Relevancy 48.59%

I'm using Windows In my quot My Documents quot folder C Users Change folder, whole directory for display folder not only lt MYNAME gt Documents I have a folder let's call it X that contains yet more folders of images let's call them X Xn So the paths are C Users lt MYNAME gt Documents Change folder display only for folder, not whole directory X X Xn My quot My Documents quot folder uses the quot Details quot display However for folders X Xn and ONLY those folders I wish to use the display option quot Large Icons quot However changing the display for any of the Xi folders causes the display to change for ALL folders in quot My Documents quot all folders in path C Users lt MYNAME gt Documents I have tried several different tactics but have not been able to change the display for ONLY folders X to Xn I asked on another forum and someone said it might have to do with the concept of quot libraries quot I researched the subject but am not anywhere closer to finding a solution The folder X is program folder and the Xi are folders that the Change folder display only for folder, not whole directory program creates to stock the images I could just manually move all images to the My Images folder C Users lt MYNAME gt Pictures since that folder has Large Icons display but I would rather keep the Xi image folders together with its program folder X in Change folder display only for folder, not whole directory My Documents Anyone know how I can do this It's driving me insane I keep having to switch displays just to see icons of the pictures in the Xi Thanks

A:Change folder display only for folder, not whole directory

Welcome to the forum what have you tried normally if you display the folder and change the view it keeps the setting

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-8-a/125976-change-folder-display-only-folder-not-whole-directory.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I have a folder called Temp on an internal drive labeled B: The properties of this folder is set to "General Items", and when I view the folder through Explorer (showing Details) I get the expected headings Name, Date modified, Type, Size, etc...

However, when I through any app (TextPad, WordPad, Chrome, IrfanView-Save for Web, etc) choose Save As... and navigate to that B:\Temp folder, it shows up as a music folder! With headings Name, #, Title, Contributing artists, Album, etc.

Most annoying!

Does anyone have any hints about how to change this so that it always shows up as a "General Items" type of folder?

A:Folder thinks it is a music folder... how do I change that?

Hello OppfinnarJocke,

This is most likely due to Automatic Folder Type Discovery. "Automatic Folder Type Discovery" is when Windows will automatically change the folder template of a folder to match the file type of the last file added or saved in the folder. For example, if your folder contains music files and you add a picture file, then Windows may change the folder template and view to the "Picture" template to match the new picture file. Basically just what you did.

If you like, you can use the tutorial below to set a specific template (steps 2 to 6) to be the default for all folders to disable Automatic Folder Type Discovery. Afterwards, you will still be able to set folder views and templates how you like though, but without Automatic Folder Type Discovery changing them for you.

Folder Template - Default

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/262524-folder-thinks-music-folder-how-do-i-change.html
Relevancy 48.16%

One of my user's folders has disappeared from the folder C:\Documents and Settings in Windows Explorer, and can only be displayed if the 'Hide protected operating system files' box is unticked in Folder Options - View.

This probably means that the user's folder has, somehow, been set as a system folder.

How can this be reset so that it displays correctly, ie when the 'Hide protected operating system files' box is ticked.

A:[SOLVED] User's Folder Set As A System Folder?

Problem solved by setting the folder attributes to -s -h from the DOS prompt.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-users-folder-set-as-a-system-folder-426237.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I don't mean in the navigation pane or menus, I mean the folder itself in c:\users\username which refuses to stay deleted.

Is there a way to get rid of it FOREVER?

A:how do I remove favourites folder from user folder

Can I ask a question why do you want to get rid of it that is where your favourite programs are kept that why it keeps coming back it is part of windows its self

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/70268-how-do-i-remove-favourites-folder-user-folder.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I have a number of folder shortcuts in my user folder.
Recently I have noticed that when I open a folder via those shortcuts that two copies of the folder appear.
Have tried deleting and recreating the shortcuts but to no avail.

The shortcuts behave normally from the desktop but as soon as I move or copy them to user folder the problem occurs.

A:Issue with folder shortcuts in User Folder

I've tried it and could not produce what you are experiencing. You can try to run from elevated command prompt:

- dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- sfc /scannow

To make sure that your system is clean.

You can also try to create a junction link instead of a shortcut.
For example: mklink /J C:\Users\yourUserName\testFolder X:\somePath\someFolder where X is any drive in your PC.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/46613-issue-folder-shortcuts-user-folder.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I just did a clean install of W7, installed MS Security Essentials and moved Favorites folder to a data drive.
I have just found that a lot of folders including AppData folder are missing from my user folder.
What could be wrong?

A:AppData folder is missing from user folder

Nothing is wrong they are just hidden. If you go to Organize - folder and search options - View

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/286299-appdata-folder-missing-user-folder.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Vista Business Admin Username quot BOB quot on an updated freshly installed -bit PC Problem I partition my hard drive into a system quot c Location folder User Recognizing not Folder quot and a data partition quot Z quot I moved my music pictures and videos folder from the user quot BOB quot folder located on c to my data partition quot z quot by the right-clicking gt properties gt location method The c drive has no extra room for any more data while the z drive has plenty But when I try to move a large music library folder from my passport to the music folder on z I get a quot There is not enough space on BOB You need an additional gb to copy these files quot message Things I have DONE I have tried this with all folders that I have moved to the z User folder not Recognizing Folder Location drive No difference I checked both the explorer bar and the location tab in the properties dialog and they both show that the folder is in the right location quot z quot I have tried changing the ownership of z and all of its subfolders from SYSTEM to quot BOB quot and redoing the folder User folder not Recognizing Folder Location movement again via properties gt location method but no change The only way I can move the large User folder not Recognizing Folder Location files to z music is by clicking computers gt z gt music Clicking on start menu gt BOB gt music will not work The PC is thinking that the MUSIC folder is in the c drive only when moving files to the MUSIC folder Moving small files to MUSIC is okay since the c drive has enough space But of course the files when done moving is actually in z Please help S

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/210957-user-folder-not-recognizing-folder-location.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I recently made a folder to share with an XP machine. When I look at the network through my seven machine I see the folder I shared and the USERS folder shared as well. Why is that?

I have the network setup at a home network. 7100 32 bit.

A:Why is the User folder shared when you share a folder?

I believe vista did this as well. So Windows 7 doesnt' work any differently from Vista in this regards.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/8819-why-user-folder-shared-when-you-share-folder.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi,
I have a Windows 8.1 system on a lap top that was used by a former employee. Her name was still on user name and I couldn't change it without Admin privileges (otherwise was asking for a smart card). Found out how to get in to admin in safe mode with Net
User Admin yes- then discovered that the old log in and information / desk top is no longer available. The docs are under Users (old employee's name) in C drive, but the docs and settings no longer show up and the admin log in is the only one available - no
option to change users.
When I went in and said Net User Admin no - thinking if I disabled admin user it would go back to the old log in -  there was no log in available at all.

Help?
Launa

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/56c281dc-3368-4418-93ac-3cd96832c513/enabled-net-user-admin-to-change-an-account-name-cant-change-name-and-now-origial-login-account?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 47.3%

OS Windows XP v Professional SP I restored the computer system as I had lost everything stored in the old user profile A NEW USER PROFILE mlinda quot is created with the correct domain attached to it eg CAA MAU and is fully restored The OLD USER PROFILE quot m linda quot remains in the documents and settings BUT - the domain is of a local computer eg SPARXX and it no longer works with the eg CAA MAU domain The original quot m linda quot user profile contains almost nothing in it no documents etc m linda is still listed in the userlist in computer management BUT 2 (fully name user user restored) new profile old ? Urgent-How profile change to back NOT THE NEW mlinda In administrator mode I dont t see ALL the contents of the newly restored profile Questions How do I change user profile quot mlinda Urgent-How 2 change new user profile (fully restored) back to old user profile name ? quot that has successfully retored everthing back to quot m linda quot since the new profile has everything intact How do I safely delete the newly restored quot mlinda quot and ensure everything is back to normal with the OLD USER PROFILE m linda How to ensure that the correct domain name is attached to the profile by transferring all the data from THE NEW mlinda eg domain CAA MAU to THE OLD m linda that currently has a local computer domain SPARXX User profile m linda has to be attched to domain CAA MAU Should I be backing up before eventhough the new mlinda is in super condition I read in forums that the links to desktop can be lost by transfering How do I retain it Do I have to change anything in the registry value Should I do it with Administrator account in normal mode or safe mode When I log on as an Administrator both mlinda and m linda is as brand new and none of the exisiting files in it When I log in as mlinda new I still see m linda local computer domain in the user list but not mlinda the new But when I right click properties of c documents and setting mlinda under security I see that mlinda is listed with the correct domain name My biggeest fear is not to lose the domain ouutlook etc while changing mlinda to m linda B Rather than going through a process of copying mlinda to m linda Is it possible just delete THE OLD USER PROFILE m linda and rename the THE NEW USER PROFILE mlinda since this is fully restored to m linda If yes what are the best steps And how can I make the adjustments to user list since when wondows starts there is only THE NEW PROFILE mlinda popping up I need it back to m linda I read in a forum that I can go to registry HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVer Profilelist and change but I don t want to mess with it In my case in the registry i should I delete m linda first and rename mlinda to m linda This is rather urgent and need to fix today All your help are truly appreciated Thank you nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/urgent-how-2-change-new-user-profile-fully-restored-back-to-old-user-profile-name.1004093/
Relevancy 47.3%

Howdy All -
I'm thinking I'm not the first nor the last to have MS trick me into changing my User Name from Local to (in my case) an outlook.com email account. Now I'm forced to sign in every time I log on. And FWIW, I prefer to be fully in charge of my devices.
-
I surely would appreciate some guidance on the proper way to switch back to a Local User and disassociate my computer from outlook.com. Many thanks in advance for reading this and all replies.

Best,
/jdU

A:Proper (Safe) way to change from "Microsoft.com" User to Local User

Settings>>Accounts>>Under your Microsoft Account listing, click on "Change to a Local account instead".

Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/49640-proper-safe-way-change-microsoft-com-user-local-user.html
Relevancy 46.44%

My mother and I recently replaced my old 80 GB hard drive with a new 250 GB hard drive and along with it the new Windows 7 OS. Unfortunately, my backup of my information didn't work transferring to the new hard drive (I didn't care too much).

Anyway, I am just checking out Windows 7 today, changing my settings, and downloading my old programs, but when I visited my user folder (with 'Documents', 'Pictures', 'Downloads', etc.) I saw an unusual folder named {d844d94a-efc2-45f5-af4f-63ac0dfb4c15}. My mom suggested I don't delete it since it may contain infortant files, but I would like to if it is not important.

The files and their file types (according to the computer) are:

cpqbttn.sys is a System File.
hpqlb is a Setup Information.
hpqlbx86 is a Security Catalog.

Does anyone know what these are, and if so may I delete the folder or at least move it?

A:New, random folder in my user folder?

What kind of programs were you downloading?
and also if you right click on the folder and choose properties and look at the Created Date of the folder.

My guess is that it is just a Temporary folder that when you installed the program it just left it there. I think you can delete this folder if you have already installed all of the programs that you need.

Hope this Helps.

EDIT: It might be a Driver of some sort. Were you downloading any programs that are HP? Like the HP Quick Lanuch Buttons? and/or the QuickPlay software?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/52558-new-random-folder-my-user-folder.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello I have a GB SSD and a TB HDD I''m keeping everything on the SSD until space becomes an issue then I want to move it over to the HDD Initially I want to target quot My user folder folder on Archive HDD in different Videos quot as these files tend to be very large I know I can right click properties location on the quot My Videos quot folder and update the location to the HDD - but this is not what I Archive folder on different HDD in user folder want to do I want to create a subfolder under quot My Archive folder on different HDD in user folder Videos quot called quot Archive Videos quot and have that folder reside on the HDD via the folder locations properties I really do not want to use a shortcut folder Also out of curiosity when I created the quot Archive Videos quot folder and noticed that I could not update the location properties of the folder I did notice under the General Advanced properties of the folder there is a check box that states quot Folder is ready for Archiving quot What does this mean Thanks

A:Archive folder on different HDD in user folder

Hello Denisl,

Another option that you might consider is to create a folder (ex: "Archive Videos") on the HDD and move what files you want into it, then include the "Archive Videos" into your Videos library. This way you can access all of your video files from all the different included areas in your one Videos library location.

If you like, you could even set which included folder in the Videos library is to be the default save to folder whenever you save anything into the Videos library.

Hope this may work for you for this.

Folder is ready for Archiving is for the "Archive" attribute setting.

Archive Attribute
The archive attribute is used for backup. When a file is created, the archive bit is turned on, and when a program copies the file, the archive bit is turned off. For example, the /m parameter in the Xcopy command in Windows turns off the archive attribute. When the file is edited and saved again, the attribute bit is turned on

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/215733-archive-folder-different-hdd-user-folder.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Folder was created according to my system on August 13th 2010I have scanned my computer with NORTON360 V4 and nothing has shown to be any virii or malware.Can someone help me or help identify the folder's purpose?

A:Folder name ".hAWabAzAr" in My User folder

This is the only thing that I could see having been an issue on the 13thcopied from Norton 360c:\users\alex\downloads\aircrack-ng-0.9.3-win.zip________________________________________________________On computer as ofNot AvailableLast Used:8/13/2010 at 10:21:43 PMStartup Item: NoLaunched: No________________________________________________________UnknownNumber of users in the Norton Community that have used this file: Unknown____________________________LowThis file risk is low.____________________________Threat DetailsDetection of a potential threat based on its behavior.____________________________OriginDownloaded from Not Available____________________________URL Not AvailableUNTESTED____________________________File Actionsairodump-ng.exe[Contained in] c:\users\alex\downloads\aircrack-ng-0.9.3-win.zipDeleted____________________________File Thumbprint:Not Available____________________________

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/340156/folder-name-hawabazar-in-my-user-folder/
Relevancy 46.44%

Im running windows and Ive been having lots of issues with one drive so I decided to unlink it to my pc and turn it off completely The documents folder in 'this pc' no longer works now as the folder path goes to one drive is there a way of fixing this Also the documents folder is missing from from 'the folder with my user name' the one with all the lovely icons When I try to create a new folder and call it documents an error shows that I cant have two folders with the same name I therefore thought that the folder may have been hidden so I set show hidden files and it showed me a my documents folder that was faded out and I cant do anything with that no idea what that means The only place in which the documents folder still exists is in my user account s folder in the c drive and library Can anyone help with this issue

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/439496-my-documents-folder-gone-my-user-name-folder.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I'm setting up Win for the st time on a Lenovo Win laptop It had to do a ton of upgrades before all the features would work like the touch screen amp task bar Once all the updates were completed I started to set it up Somehow I missed the part where you put a name to the quot USER quot in the C drive On my Asus it says This USER? This to edit/change "USER" How > user > in: C: PC> PC gt C gt user gt johnf But on the Lenovo is says This PC gt C gt user gt USER I went in amp changed the Local Account Admin to a Name I wanted hoping that would change quot USER quot to quot rocco quot but it didn't I know that all programs installed in the future will have a path that looks like This How to edit/change "USER" in: This PC> C: > user > USER? PC gt How to edit/change "USER" in: This PC> C: > user > USER? C gt user gt USER gt Dropbox unless I can change it I'm not very far into setting the laptop up so I want to make sure I don't keep moving forward in case I have to reset or roll back anything How can I fix this problem Also why do I have a C drive GB amp a D drive GB after I did the Win update it had Win on it but needed to upgrade to a newer version amp now I have a D drive that i did not create Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/how-to-edit-change-user-in-this-pc-c-user-user-1145193.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi,
I've tried all the possible options written here, including keys and Link folder and nothing helps.
I realized that also the favorites folder and also the Links folder change back to "read-only" right after I try to change them. any idea?
Thanks,
Amitai

A:favorites folder and also Links folder change back to "read-only"

Until someone more knowledgeable responds:
- scan your computer with superantispyware, malwArebytes, eset online
- create a new user account and see if it works logging with it
- check if ok in safe mode with networking

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/370349-favorites-folder-also-links-folder-change-back-read-only.html
Relevancy 46.01%

How do I access folder made private after user account that made the folder private is deleted.

I was foolin around with the registry yesterday and forgot to back it up. XP crashed when I restarted. I used the restore disk that came with the computer. All files that I put on the computer where left alone, but all XP files were reverted to factory Files. I had My Documents set as a private folder. The folder still appears under Documents and settings but I cannot access it.....HELP...Thanks in advance.

A:How do I access folder made private after user that made the folder privateis deleted

I Fixed the problem...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-do-i-access-folder-made-private-after-user-that-made-the-folder-privateis-deleted-35484.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Okay here s the rundown as Solved: Settings" and from User "Documents Folder Missing Folder best as I can remember it Several years ago around if I m approximating I purchased a slew of components and built my first computer from scratch Since that time I have run through four power supplies It seems as though some other component is causing these power supply failures This is not the purpose of this post however but some back story Now I am not the most technically savvy person in the world and after the second failure I took the computer to a quot professional quot While Solved: Missing User Folder from "Documents and Settings" Folder I don t know Solved: Missing User Folder from "Documents and Settings" Folder what he did in its entirety I did notice a change that confused me However as I had decided to be an end user from this point forward and not a techie person I didn t question it Solved: Missing User Folder from "Documents and Settings" Folder The change I could access the user account quot Documents quot folder from the quot My Computer quot window but not from within the quot Documents and Settings quot folder under the root directory In other words if I were to double-click the quot My Computer quot icon I would be given the usual options of hard disk drives and CD drives as well as the quot Shared Documents quot folder and the quot Username Documents quot folder for the user logged in That would by Ahr Neely s Documents for the Ahr Neely user and as there was only every one user created on the computer it was the only documents folder that should have existed However if I were to from the quot My Computer quot window open the C drive and navigate to quot Documents and Settings quot I would only have two options to choose from quot All Users quot and quot Default User quot ghosted as a hidden folder Neither of these folders contain the content and media files that the quot Ahr Neely s Documents quot contain from the quot My Computer quot window On either of my other PCs when venturing into the quot Documents and Settings quot folder I have four folder options listed quot Administrator quot quot All Users quot quot Default User quot ghosted out as a hidden folder and quot Ahr Neely quot the only user created on the PC So it wasn t a problem having the PC set up this way as long as it was running fine However yet again the power supply has taken a dump on me and so I ve had it with this computer Its lasted me several years and I ve decided to purchase a store bought computer building my own was a fun experiment but in the end it didn t yield a cheaper better computer Now that I m moving on I have pulled the old hard drives out of that PC and stuck them in an external enclosure you know its important to keep the old data However I cannot for the life of me find any evidence that the files in the quot Ahr Neely s Documents quot folder which include the My Pictures My Music My Movies or Downloads folders anywhere on this hard drive I have performed several different searches through all folders including hidden files and folders and have come up with nothing So after that long and drawn out explanation I m wondering if anyone has any idea how to track down this elusive folder Is there a way to find it Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you Ahr Neely nbsp

Relevancy 45.15%

Got my new laptop with Windows 10 Pro.
1st time sign in it uses my email address as user folder name "C:\users\<email>".
I didn't like it, so I managed to change it to my name. 
After rebooting, now it left with a file that I couldn't delete: C:\Users\<email>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\counters.dat
I did online search and found some similar issues but didn't find a solution on the forum.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5d00d38c-0849-4c5f-a4a9-86f2a5911adb/after-changing-user-folder-name-the-old-folder-left-with-quotcountersdatquot?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 45.15%

No matter what I do, and how much I edit the security settings on that folder (not that it lets me even do that) I can't access this folder for some reason?

What's the deal? Thanks.

This is on Windows 7. I have two admin accounts. I can't access it from either account.

A:Can't Access "Default User" folder in Users Folder

Hello,

I don't know why you want to, but you have to fiddle quite a bit with the permissions.

Navigate to the folder (Default User) and right click on it and select Properties.Under the Security tab, click Advanced.Under the Owner tab, click Edit.Click "Other Users and Groups".Click Advanced.Click "Find Now".Scroll down and double click on Everyone.Click OK THREE times.Click on the Permissions tab.Under type Deny, single click on it and click Remove.Click OK.Click Edit (now on the standard file Property window under the Security tab).Click Add.Click Advanced.Click "Find Now".Scroll down and double click on Everyone.Click OK.Single click on Everyone and then tick the "Full Control" box under Allow.Click OK TWO times.
This will get you in, but I don't know why you want to. Don't fiddle with anything in there.

Richard

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/275475-cant-access-default-user-folder-users-folder.html
Relevancy 45.15%

No matter what I do, and how much I edit the security settings on that folder (not that it lets me even do that) I can't access this folder for some reason?

What's the deal? Thanks.

This is on Windows 7. I have two admin accounts. I can't access it from either account.

A:Can't Access "Default User" folder in Users Folder

Can you take ownership of the folder?

Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks

Taking Ownership of Files and Folders
As an administrator you can take ownership of a file or folder as follows:
1. In Windows Explorer, rt-click on "properties" for the file or folder.
2. Security tab | Advanced
3. Owner tab| click Edit
4. In the Change Owner To list, select the new owner. To take ownership of all subfolders and files within the folder, select Replace Owner On Subcontainers And Objects option.
5. OK | OK

Assigning Ownership
As administrator or the current owner, you can assign ownership to another user or group as follows:
1. In Windows Explorer, rt-click on "Properties" for the file or folder.
2. Security tab | Advanced
3. Owner tab | Edit
4. Click Other Users Or Groups
5. Type the name of a user or a group | click Check Names | Choose the name you want if its not already filled in | OK
6. From the Change Owner list, select the new owner. For a folder, select Replace Owner On Subcontainers and Objects to assign ownership of all subfolders and files within the folder.
7. Ok | OK

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/77973-cant-access-default-user-folder-users-folder.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I am laptop user. About 2hr ago, i login to my lappy and discover that my profile is different. My folders on desktop went missing and some of the setting changed. Then i try on my own to solve it but to no avail. Fortunately i come upon my C:\Documents and Settings and discover that strange profile C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP and my original profile C:\Documents and Settings\p0716499 was still there. This imply that my previous setting and files are still in my laptop. However, I cant changed back to the original profile and struck with the temp profile.
Initially i suspect is registry problem so i DL "UPHClean Service" by miscosoft but to no avail. Now currently i suspect it might be the work of a virus. I need help. Thank anyone who help me in advance.

A:User profile path change to user profile path change to C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP :\Documents and Settings...

This morning when i woke up, i discovered a icon named "syminstallstub" on my desktop. I checked online and i believe that it could be a virus. I try to find ways to uninstall it but to no avail I not sure what did my younger brother do to my laptop. I feel that im damn unlucky and encounter 2 problems in a row. Please help me solve my problems.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/394384/user-profile-path-change-to-user-profile-path-change-to-cdocuments-and-settingstemp-documents-and-settingstemp/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello
we had a windows server 2008 Domain network.
now we have deployed a brand new windows server 2012 R2 forest.
so we must disjoin client computers from previous domain and join them to this new domain.
when users of this new domain login to their computers, new profile folder is created for them (e.g. c:\users\u1.newdomain.lab, but this folder definitely doesn't contain their previous profile folder contents (desktop, documents, App data....)
what is the best solution to migrate user profiles from each previous user to related new user without any problem ?
i tried copying the entire profile folder of each user & replace it on the profile folder new user, but some problem arises, when this new user tries to login using this replaced profile folder.
i am not sure is it right forum to ask user profile related question?
thanks in advanced

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3bcd33cb-019c-49e9-8664-610a0f7437cc/replacing-previous-user-profile-on-new-user-profile-folder?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 44.29%

Is there a way to change my user name on this website? I tried to look and didn't see anything.

A:Change user name?

Hello Petoskey,

Only an Administrator or Super Mod can change your user name. What would you like to have your user name to be instead? I would be happy to change it for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/272930-change-user-name.html
Relevancy 44.29%

when I setup my new dell inspiron with windows 10, I did not know how it assigned the user names shown on the login, I would like to change them. How can I change the user names. I have 3 and want to change all of them

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-name-change.1164107/
Relevancy 44.29%

Running XP Home. Would like to change a User Name in Documents & Settings, but the system says No. Can this be done? Thanks

Relevancy 44.29%

I have just installed Windows Xp Pro Sp2 on my computer. I see after everything is completed I have Administrator as my user name what I would like to know is if there is a way to change the user name safely. I have tried to change the name through the control panel but when I click the user account the option to change account name is not listed .

A:Change Win Xp Pro User Name?

You are logged in using the base administrator account. This account cannot be changed. If you want a different user name you can create a new user account with administrative powers. Normally what happens after that is that you will be able to see only the new user account in normal mode and the base "administrator" account will be visible in safe mode.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-win-xp-pro-user-name.735261/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello, I have just bought a second hand laptop (once again!). I have changed the user name on it to my name (kasim). But the problem is that when i go to Computer and then Users, the user name is still the same as before. The only settings that are on my name is the start menu. Can u please help me change the user name in every setting.

Thanks!

All the settings are the same on this laptop. (Windows Vista, Home Premium etc.)

A:Change User name

Hello Kasim,

When you change your user account name through "User Accounts" in the Control Panel, it only changes the name that is display at log on and in the Start Menu. It will not change the C:\Users\(User-name) folder's original name.

The only way to do this is to create a new account of the same type (administrator or standard), copy the files in all of your old account's C:\Users\(User-name) folder into the corresponding new account's C:\Users\(User-name) folders. After everything checks out ok in the new account, you can then delete the old account from within the new one.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/272905-change-user-name.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I would like to change my user name on this forum, is this possible. And if so how do I do it? Thanks

Relevancy 44.29%

Is there a way to change the user name on a Windows XP computer? I replaced someone else in a position and need to keep all their files, etc. But it is annoying to keep logging in as her. And I reallyl don't want to try to figure out how to transfer all her everything into a new user name set up for me. Needless to say, I know any passwords involved.

Thank you

A:Change user name

Scroll down on the page lionked below and it covers changing the user account:
http://help.expedient.net/general/winxp_profiles.shtml

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-user-name.379947/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi Mods is it possible to change my user name at all? would like a hyphen between "steve-pressman" like that

Regards

Steve

A:Can I change my user name ?

Quote: Originally Posted by stevepressman

Hi Mods is it possible to change my user name at all? would like a hyphen between "steve-pressman" like that

Regards

Steve

Hi

Have a read of this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...nts.html?ltr=U

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/49578-can-i-change-my-user-name.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I bought a new computer and gave my old one to my wife, both are Win 7 Home Premium. When hers first started it came up with my User name and picture so I changed my name to hers and my picture to hers. Unfortunately that was the only place it changed User names. When I look at the Home Group on my computer I have 2 computers with my name! Also iTunes has my name in the file for hers.
I have Senior Moments and get confused very easily. Is there a correct way to change the User name on her computer to eliminate my confusion?

A:User name change

Welcome to the Forums!

Please refer to the following Tutorial:

If you still have some questions, at the bottom of the tutorial there are links to other tutorials relevant to your question.

Hope this helps!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/179801-user-name-change.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi Guys

I know this might sound easy, but I have spent the last 24 hours trying to do this! I have been trying:

Start - Control Panel - User Accounts - Select User - Change Name

and the user name has changed and I thought everything was okay. However this appears to be only a visible change, as I have a program that uses this name and it is still reporting the previous user name.

Am I missing something? I created a new user account and my program reports the new user name

Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks

Neil

A:How Do I Change A User Name?

Are you using the method described on this page?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/108936/how-do-i-change-a-user-name/
Relevancy 44.29%

In my area, Goodwill sells refurbished computers, and I purchased one. The standard practice of Good Will is to create the default user of the computer. In that regard, there is a locked symbol on that account. And I discovered this Naming after I installed all of the Programs on the computer. I need the default user name changed to my choosing because this default name populates all the fields of nomenclature in all installed programs--some of which have to be changed each time. Is there a way to change the name of the locked default user on my computer? Thanks for any help WilbertC.

A:User Name Change

Hi and welcome to TSF you should really speak to goodwill and have them fix the name issue

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/user-name-change-685173.html
Relevancy 44.29%

My computer came with the user name of "Valued Customer". I have changed the account name, but the user name has stayed the same. Can I change the user name in Windows 7, Home Premium?

A:Change User Name

The only way to change the name is to open a new account, transfer everything over and delete the old account.

To avoid being corrected, allow me to add that you probably can by a registry hack, but I would not try a procedure like that, risking a potential problem later on.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/97784-change-user-name.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I changed the name of my pc and I am the only user of my pc and do have the admin rights however there is still a folder out there with the old name and I do not have permissions to change it due to it being in settings. I am referring to the folders named
Michael
Public.
Michael should read Tami where do I go to change this?

Thanks

A:change user name

When you "Rename" an user account it ONLY changes the name and NOT the related folder.

The only way to get a new name with a new folder, is to make a new user account and then move/copy all files from the old to the new.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-user-name.1158197/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi all;

I just bought a new computer with xp on it and the user name is RadioShack.
My name appears in User Accounts as Administrator. Guest is there also.
Under Documents and Settings is "RadioShack"
Very Annoying.
Can you tell me how to change it to my name?
Appreciate any help and thanks.

A:How to Change User Name?

Hi !!!!!!!!!!

follow the instruction:
Control panel>>>administrative tools >>>>> Local Security and policy
>>>> Local policy >>>>> Security option >>>> Accounts: Rename administrator account
Kvijay

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-change-user-name-382571.html