Windows Support Forum

Can I change the main User name?

Q: Can I change the main User name?

A friend, upon setup misspelled his name so the main User folder is incorrect. can he rename it? I know rename is not an option when right-clicking.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Can I change the main User name?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Can I change the main User name?

It is easier to create a new correct username and migrate to that user than making corrections to the existing user.

After complete migration (which includes copying all the data files from the default user's profile to the new user's profile) you can delete the old user name.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/194981-can-i-change-main-user-name.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi

I bought a computer, using WIndows 7 Home Premium.
The software was installed using the name 'Kint' for username. (which was mis- interpreted on the phone and should be 'Kent')

Now, when I add or change users, that all ok. But the main user will always remain 'Kint'.

I can add another administrator, and rename the original one to for example 'Main uzer'
And indeed, when I start my computer, I can choose to log in as 'Main uzer'

But the computer still uses C:/users/kint as deault.

Is it possible to change this? (without reinstalling 7)

Can anyone help me out?
Thank you

A:How to change MAIN user name in 7 Home Premium

Control panel>User accounts>Change your account name

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/49245-how-change-main-user-name-7-home-premium.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hey all I have spent the weekend trying to figure out how to change my account user changed to back account Main type guest, can't change type back to administrator but with no luck I have been running this laptop as my main machine for a few months now with no problems however I realised I had a problem when I wanted to change some networking settings on Friday when the UAC said I needed admin privileges and wouldn't let Main user account type changed to guest, can't change back me enter a password or click quot Yes quot hence not allowing me to go any further I went to control panel gt User accounts and saw my account type has been changed to Guest Now I have thought long and hard and I have not changed or had any need to change my account type to guest nor has anyone else had access to my laptop so I can only assume this has been done in the last week or so during a Windows update I'll tell you what I did to try to resolve this below First of all I tried to enable the hidden administrator account while in my account by running command prompt as admin and then entering net user Administrator active yes but as I don't have admin privileges I couldn't even open the command prompt so I couldn't get any further After reading around the net and this forum I found this thread and gave it a try After restarting the laptop and booting into safe mode I was expecting to see and Administrator account next to my account at the log in screen however there was only the administrator account to choose from so I clicked it and it went through the first time initialisation of the account and then showed me the start menu I then went to run the command prompt as admin and it worked I entered net user Administrator active yes which worked with no problems I then went to the user accounts in control panel to quot Manage other accounts quot but my usual account was nowhere to be found So I thought I'd restart the laptop and see what happens out of safe mode When it restarted I was still only presented with the admin account so I logged in to disable the hidden by entering net user Administrator active no in the command prompt run as admin and then restarted After restarting again I was expecting to see my account but was still presented with only the admin account but when I clicked on it it said it was disabled and I was completely locked out of windows Luckily I created a restore point so I managed to restore my settings and was back at square one After a bit of testing it seems my main user account is being removed when I enter safe mode but do nothing else I have no idea why entering safe mode is removing my account I am at a bit of a loss as I can't seem to activate admin privileges on my account but if i try to fix it I lose my account completely I did find this thread but I can't find the download link for Hiren's boot cd If anyone has any help fixes or advice I'd really appreciate it as I don't really want to restore my laptop to factory Even if I do restore it to factory will this problem happen again Any help would be absolutely great Cheers Mark

A:Main user account type changed to guest, can't change back

You could try option 2 from here Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

Hirens you can download from here Download Hiren?s BootCD 15.2 | HBCD Fan & Discussion Platform but I'd try the administrator method first

Good luck

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/46162-main-user-account-type-changed-guest-cant-change-back.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I have been using an unelevated admin user account since installing win 8.1 pro and I've been having problems constantly (UAC nagging me, access denied when trying to kill processes and so on) and I decided I want to use the elevated admin account as my main. I understand security risks and convenience is more important to me as I don't have any sensitive information on my laptop. I was wondering if I can merge the user account I used until now, which has all my app settings, with the elevated admin user account and use that one from now on.

A:How do I transfer main user to Elevated Admin user?

Nope.

It is the same a switching from any other account to a different one except that as you'll not be able to use the Store apps using the built in Administrator account you don't even get to use the OneDrive synching of settings.

Sorry about that.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/53983-how-do-i-transfer-main-user-elevated-admin-user.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Yesterday early am I did a Windows update with a total of important updates and optional updates all completed successfully but when system restarted user after gone main for user update profile I got message saying that c user curt profile had problems and a temp profile was used most of the folders and apps I had on desktop were gone so I did a system restore to point previous to the update a lot of the apps came back ok but all of my folders which had spreadsheets or data files are still gone user profile for main user gone after update I know the names of some of them and when I search for them it says that example c user curt desktop smitty hours xlsx shortcut is no longer there same with all of them Tried another system restore back to several days before the issues but still no help Something tells me that I have bit the big one and all of these are gone for good as none of them show up on desktop any longer Am I correct and if so let this be a lesson and don t put files folders on the desktop but rather put them into MyDocs or somewhere else Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Professional Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - M CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R HD Graphics - Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard LENOVO U Antivirus AVG AntiVirus Free Edition Updated and Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

Hello guys, i've just bought a new computer, and the main drive is the 120GB SSD, which is not okay for me, i want it to be the 1TB HDD, is it possible to swap every data on it? Most programs save everything on the SSD and i can't change it. I am also not willing to change the directory all the time. What can i do? What would YOU do? I'm awaiting your answers guys :-)

PS: my idea would also be to use the SSD for Windows and maybe some games that i would install by manually changing the installation directory. For the rest, i want that when i use a program like iTunes to save all my personal data directly on the HDD, not on the SSD, because it would run out of space very quickly.

A:SSD to HDD - Change main drive?

So to be clear, you'd like the SSD to remain the main drive, that is to say, the drive that contains the operating system, programs and some temp data and you'd like to make official data folder moves to the 1TB hard drive, correct?
If so, it will be easy, permanent and a one shot deal.
Just say the word and I'll give you the details/instructions.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/550724/ssd-to-hdd-change-main-drive/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hey everyone,

I just formatted my PC, I installed windows xp pro again but it installed everything on my small drive h: drive which only has 4gig on it, is there a way to change everything back to my c: that has 107gig on it? I installed a couple of programs and its already full...

Thanks

A:Change main drive

Welcome to TSG....

Yes do a clean install of windows on drive C: thru the install disk but make sure you format the H: drive first.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-main-drive.633969/
Relevancy 55.04%

how do you change the name of the computer (not the user account names) the main one when you're installing windows.
thanx

Relevancy 54.61%

Problem is on a laptop with Visa operating system. Two user accounts on the laptop (main Administrator account and a Guest account). Can get into the Guest user account OK, but can't get into the main/admin account.
When trying to log-on to the main/admin account, get the following message:"The user profile service failed the log-on. User profile can't be loaded."
When "OK" is chosen to the above message, screen takes you back to the user accounts.
Any ideas on what the issue is and how to fix it?  Thanks for any help with this issue.

A:Can't Log-On to Main User Account

Go to Microsoft Support, there are three methods listed to repair the account.  The third method is the simplest as it is a Fixit where all you have to do is click on "Fixit".  If this doesn't resolve the problem you can try the other two.  The first one involves a registry edit, it mistakes are made during this process it can render the computer inoperable.  For this reason I would suggest backing up the registry, there is information below which will help you do this. Backup Your Registry with ERUNTPlease download Erunt.
For version with the Installer:  Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer.
For the zipped version you will need a program like 7-Zip to unzip the file.  
Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERUNT.exe

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/493598/cant-log-on-to-main-user-account/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi, This issue is causing some serious problems like installing software and doing all kinds of stuff. Every time I try to do that some type of error comes up saying insert Drive. What do I do?

Relevancy 54.18%

i tried to change my intel graphic card to nVidia as main graphic card.
and when i do , my desktop blank and when i restart it , the resolition are max at 800x600

do help me . I want my laptop read nVidia as main graphic card

A:Change main graphic card

Welcome to the Seven Forum

Most laptop with integrated intel and nvidia graphic card use nvidia optimus it's built into the driver, basically it uses the Intel graphics and when needed nvidia graphics kick in.
Optimus Technology | NVIDIA

My laptop has the same set up.

Jerry

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/306840-change-main-graphic-card.html
Relevancy 54.18%

AIMP3 Metal icon by ~aablab on deviantART

How-to Change AIMP3 Main Icon ? Please Help.

And Please Changelog For AMP v3.00 Beta 5 Build 934 ..Now I Use Beta 4 Build 916

A:How-to Change AIMP3 Main Icon ?

Are you talking about the desktop shortcut icon?
Can you post a screenshot of it.
Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums
Screenshot with Paint
How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums
Jerry

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/192434-how-change-aimp3-main-icon.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Good afternoon everyone On a MSI CR running on My to User Main redirecting Images Windows I wanted to change the location for quot My Images My Images redirecting to Main User quot from quot D Pictures quot to quot C Users My Images redirecting to Main User Main User Pictures quot Because the folder didn't already exist the bar where you could fill in the new location kept setting it to quot C Users Main User quot So now I have accidentally changed the location from My Images to quot Main User quot It's very weird this redirecting as the quot Main User quot -folder looks disappeared in Win Explorer but then quot Contacts quot is in quot Main User Contacts quot and at the same time in quot Main Use Images Contacts quot It's frustrating that Windows doens't let me change the location of quot Pictures quot back to where it came from or back in the normal folder and I don't like it If somebody could help me they would make my day With kind regards I don't exactly know how to translate it how is this actually called in English

A:My Images redirecting to Main User

Hello Breakboon, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You might see if restoring the affected user folders back to their default locations using OPTION TWO in the tutorial below may be able to help. Afterwards, you could move them to where you wanted instead.

User Folders - Restore Default Location - Windows 7 Help Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/36436-my-images-redirecting-main-user.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I just had the weirdest experience I multi-boot and had gone over to my Windows for a bit and was switching back to my main Vista Profile With User Happenings Main Odd on C the usual logon screen appeared and I entered my password It then gave me that screen one gets when first logging in to a new Windows Vista installatain quot Preparing your desktop quot then it opened up a sort of shadow of my profile with the generic Odd Happenings With Main User Profile Vista background and only some of my desktop icons and notification ones A balloon appeared saying something about an error occurred and you've been signed into a temporary profile The balloon disappeared before I could read it all This was particularly alarming in that I had just had to reinstall Vista due to having incessant quot Windows Explorer is not responding Odd Happenings With Main User Profile quot - type errors which no amount of repair or System Restoring would alleviate no infections found But that's another story Anyway Odd Happenings With Main User Profile all I have in the Event Viewer Administrative Events are quot User Profile Error quot entries Reading in order Windows was unable to load the registry This problem is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient security rights DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process for C Users Peter ntuser dat and Windows cannot load the locally stored profile Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process and Windows has backed up this user profile Windows will automatically try to use the backup profile the next time this user logs on and finally Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off As usual the Event Log Online Help is no help at all The only red-flagged events prior to that which I usually ignore completely are a quot Perflib quot reading The Open Procedure for service quot PNRPsvc quot in DLL quot C Windows system pnrpperf dll quot failed Performance data for this service will not be available The first four bytes DWORD of the Data section contains the error code and a quot SideBySide quot Activation context generation failed for quot C Program Files x Nero Nero Nero PhotoSnap PhotoSnapViewer exe Manifest quot Error in manifest or policy file quot quot on line A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active Conflicting components are Component C Windows WinSxS manifests x microsoft windows common-controls b ccf df none cb f b de manifest Component C Windows WinSxS manifests amd microsoft windows common-controls b ccf df none f bef ee da manifest I have since uninstalled Nero Photosnap as I don't use it My user profile is an Administrative level one by the way I'm going to repeat switching systems a few times to see if it happens again but would appreciate any comments from you experts Edit I should add that if I do a proper reboot rather than ise Neosmart's iReboot it works OK but it did happen again when I followed exactly the same steps as before I've just discovered to my horror that all my System Restore points have been wiped

A:Odd Happenings With Main User Profile

Well, I think you can ignore the above. (Did I hear a loud sigh of relief?)

As things were working prefectly until this morning I used a process of elimination. The only things that had changed since yesterday were, I installed MalwareBytes Free, shouldn't be the cause especially as I hadn't run it yet. I did, however, install the beta Symantec UAC Tool which makes the UAC prompt a little more friendly. Since uninstalling that I haven't had the problem.

Now why that would be the case shall forever remain shrouded in mystery.

I rest my case.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/274427-odd-happenings-main-user-profile.html
Relevancy 54.18%

My brothers Main User profile just got deleted today we dont know how it happened When i start up windows all you can see is the guest profile and Got Deleted User Profile Main no others Well I may know how it happened but Main User Profile Got Deleted im really scared about telling him so i am not for the moment I was on youtube yes i know worst ppl to beleive but i got excited I made just a lil thing to change the password well it looks like it ended up deleting it instead it went something like quot echo off quot username quot quot new password quot echo quot personal message quot pause quot Because of this even if it wasnt my fault which it sure as hell feels like it is I know I am not going to mess around with stuff like that until I have way better knowledge of computers and all the commands I have tried hitting alt ctrl delete and typing in the old user and password with no luck I have tried hitting alt ctrl delete and just clicking enter when the administrator comes up but he has a password on it and does not remember it I have tried logging in as the guest and adding a new user by going into run cmd net user quot username quot add but it gives me an error I have tried going into cmd and typing quot control userpasswords quot but it blocks me by the administrators account I have tried going through safe mode but i cant even login into it completely bc of the forgotten password If you know of anyway to retrieve the admins password or how to create a new profile through a guest account Or if you know how to restore his old one Please help me I am really going to be in deep s

A:Main User Profile Got Deleted

Hello, "@echo off"username" "new password"@echo "personal message"pause"This is a batch file. A batch file can do quite a lot of things, it really depends on what the commands were inside the batch file. But without knowing the exact commands contained in the file it is virtually impossible to say what the file does. If you can find the instructions we may be able to tell what the program has done.Please understand that it is against the rules of this site to help you bypass password protection methods

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/156589/main-user-profile-got-deleted/
Relevancy 54.18%

When I log into my main user name, the screen is completely black. I push ctrl+alt+dl but my parental controls dont let me open that until they are turned off. I cant see anything to even turn them off. Its not the video card. The other user names work fine. Please help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-log-into-windows-xp-on-main-user-name-but-others-work.425450/
Relevancy 54.18%

can somebody please tell me whats going on?
I just got verizon DSL and it was working fine until yesterday...
I can't get online with any of my programs (messenger, IE, Winamp etc.)

so I made a new user account and the internet on that account seems to be working fine.. its just my main account thats having this problem.

So i dont think that the internet connection is the problem here...
and also my programs always freezes saying its not responding on my main account.

I'd appreciate any help.
thanks..
OS-Windows XP

A:My main user account can't go online!!

Try deleting the user's profile, which may have become corrupted. To do so right click My Computer, select Properties, and Advance tab.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-main-user-account-cant-go-online.404139/
Relevancy 53.75%

A simple thing really all I want to do is change the main-window icon for firefox I HATE orange I have changed the reg so it points to my lovely blue and black icon on the start menu I have changed my dock icon to same said icon I have done the chrome icons default main-window route as I have always done yet that little orange orb in the Firefox main-window icon of Change left hand corner still mocks me everytime I open my browser I have accepted the fact I can no longer Change main-window icon of Firefox change the icon in the exe file with reshacker I have read that restorator can possibly do the job but can't find any step by step instructions on how to do so So I will settle for changing only the main-window icon If anyone Change main-window icon of Firefox could only tell me how I know it's only a silly little thing but I REALLY REALLY HATE orange Thanx for any help you can offer Later C

A:Change main-window icon of Firefox

CsqU4r3d:

Installing an Icon Pack will change the browser icon.

Deer Park Pack looks like it might blend well with your theme.

Firefox and Mozilla icon packs :: Deer Park
Ardneh

http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/241036-change-main-window-icon-firefox.html
Relevancy 53.75%

So my new windows 8 laptop came today and as you can imagine I was very excited. Because of the excitement, whilst setting up my microsoft account I made 2 spelling errors in the email. Now that my pc has been set up and stuff, my microsoft account isn't because their activation email is going to an email address that doesnt exist...pelease tell me someone how do I change this bloody email to a correct one without having to redo everything....i'm going mental over here over such a small thing please help.

A:How do I change my main accounts email address...

window8noob, welcome to EightForums. Have a look here
Microsoft Account - Change Email Address in Windows 8[1]=User Accounts

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/44299-how-do-i-change-my-main-accounts-email-address.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi

My question to you all.....> How to change FSB on Elete K7S5A main board...< I run bechmarks and it comes up as FSB at 66 HZ etc I know that my main board can go to 266 but how.....There is nothing in the bios for it or am I talking Poo....

Thx

Relevancy 53.75%

theres an advantage to create other user accounts

i cant run the malwarebytes thing but i set it up on other user acount

i have the system tool virus

i have to change my passwords?

can some creep see these saved passwords stored in mozilla firefox?

this is so vast and diffult i feel its easier just to reinstall windows xp

Relevancy 53.75%

Computer was on and lightning hit the building. Computer still works but I can not get into the main user account with all the file. I only can get into the guest user account. Whenever I click the main account the screen goes black and the computer freezes. I can get into the guest user account with no problem. I have a Compaq Presario SR1303WM. How can I get into the main account without starting all over and formatting the computer? I have Windows Vista.

A:Can not get into the main user account for Window Vista

Welcome to TSG!

Have you tried booting to Safe mode? That might let you log into the Main User account. If the Built-in Administrator account has been enabled, you can log into that account, which will give you access to the files, and may allow you to fix the problem. A System Restore might do the trick.

If the Built-in Administrator account is not enabled, you can enable it from the Guest account:
Click Start, type cmd into the search box, then press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
You'll be prompted to enter the password for your main account (If that was the only account besides the Built-in Administrator)
A command prompt window will open with Administrator: in the Title bar
Type the following and press Enter
net user Administrator /active:yes

Reboot to Safe Mode, a User tile for the Administrator account should now appear.

HTH

Jerry

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-not-get-into-the-main-user-account-for-window-vista.839184/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hey guys,

about 7 hours ago i deleted my main windows user account and ever since ive been working tirelessly to try and fix the problem. every time i boot up it automatically takes me to a temporary profile with the same name as the previous one that i deleted and because its a temp profile i cant access most things, and believe me ive tried everything (system restore, hidden admin) but nothing will work and i just want to create a new user and forget that one, is this possible or will i have to reset my pc?

A:i deleted my main windows user account

If you have already tried these my apologies.
Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable in Windows 8
User Account - Add a New User in Windows 8
Local Account - Switch to in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/24898-i-deleted-my-main-windows-user-account.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I'm running XP Pro on a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop. I have two users on it, mine being the main one. No passwords, no difference between them. The other user works fine, no issues. My user, the taskbar shows up, with my Quicklaunch toolbar on it, as well as the clock and network connectivity on the right. There's no icons on my desktop, and I can't righ click to see if a refresh would work.

I can click on the Start menu, but I can't get anything to run. The cursor moves as if it's loading the program, then stops. Nothing is running in the task manager.

On the other user, I've run a defrag, a virus scan, a spyware scan, and everything else I could possibly think of. Any ideas why one user would be fine, and the other doesn't function??

Any help would be appreciated!!

A:XP Pro, main user, no icons, apps not working

The user you are having problems with is currupted youll have to remove it then recreate it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-pro-main-user-no-icons-apps-not-working.276116/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi everyone So account my Accidentally !!! HELP main deleted user i get back from a beautiful Holiday in Australia and my Laptop a sony Vaio running windows comes up with a message like this quot Accidentally deleted my main user account !!! HELP User Profile Service service failed the logon User profile cannot be loaded quot So i found this link on you tube User Profile Service service failed the logon User profile cannot be loaded - YouTube and checked out what he had to say and it sounded like it would fix my issue I ran it in safe mode searched for regedit - went into the profile list and deleted the double up profile that ended with bac But now i cannot find my User when i log out It only runs as the administrator and looks like it does when i first got this laptop However when i do a search in the c Drive my user is there with all the contents in it and also when i go int control panel my user is also there SO my question is what on earth have i done and how can i get my beloved user back hahahaha would much appreciate your help I want my user back haha

A:Accidentally deleted my main user account !!! HELP

Have you tried Startup Repair I'd also run a full scan with Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware to get that out of the way first.

Since your files are there you can enable Built-in Administrator - Enable from WinRE, create a new Admin-level account, copy your files over from the failed one and once you are sure you have everything delete it. If you have hidden appdata just google the program (e.g. outlook) to find out where the data is stored so you can unhide the file to copy it too.

Once you've got the new profile set up and running well, you can hide the Built In Admin acct again.

This may be easier than trying to repair, but if you want you can from within the built-in Admin acct work through the Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7, particularly to check for infections, run SFC, possibly Repair Install. It's easier to just make a new account though, unless that fails too in which case you'll need to do the steps - leading up to possible reinstall.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/303975-accidentally-deleted-my-main-user-account-help.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I'm not sure if I should put this here or in the Networking forum but hopefully I can websites Cannot main to account user connect from get help here I'm running Windows RTM Build been too lazy to upgrade to the copy I get through MSDN I cannot connect Cannot connect to websites from main user account to any websites from my main Administrator account my mother's Limited Cannot connect to websites from main user account account works fine my laptop loads every page without problem and I can sign into MSN Messenger and Steam without any problem from the problematic account I cannot even connect to my router config page Things I've tried -Resetting Modem router -ipconfig flushdns -Reseting the TCP IP stack -System Restore to yesterday when the problem wasn't happening -Changing my IP settings to DHCP configuration instead of Static IP I receive a response when pinging google com so there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with DNS resolution The problem occurs in both Firefox and Internet Explorer The error message I get in Firefox says quot The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading quot I am currently running a scan with Trend-Micro but I don't think anything will turn up

A:Cannot connect to websites from main user account

Scratch the bit about the Web working in another account. It still accessible from my laptop, but not from any account on the desktop

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cannot-connect-to-websites-from-main-user-account-446896.html
Relevancy 53.75%

hi everyone again I recently installed Treesize software on my computer it is a quick way to see what user/owner. to main Access denied is using most space Access denied to main user/owner. on your hard drives I am impressed with it Access denied to main user/owner. There are users on my computer all password protected I am main user administrator owner my wife is an administrator also my daughter is an administrator and my son has a limited account The Treesize came up with access denied to my wife's account and son's account My daughter's amp my account were shown on Treesize I opened C drive selected Documents and Settings same thing happened Access denied to both those accounts I also learnt from Treesize amp from Documents amp Settings that I have besides above mentioned accounts a seperate administrator account a seperate owner account a guest account amp an all users account I cannot delete the surplus accounts Access denied How odd In control panel only our accounts and guest account shown which is off A year ago I had a repair done on my computer would the shop have made extra accounts I realise you should only have administrator per computer but found that this was too limited for my wife amp daughter to use hence administrators Anyone got any ideas on this problem Regards tech no

A:Access denied to main user/owner.

jkust replace "SAM" file in folder C:\windows\system32\config with the one "SAM" at c:\windows\repair folder. Now restart the PC and all the passwords are gone...
Just try and do inform me if it works or not...

Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/access-denied-to-main-user-owner-168042.html
Relevancy 53.75%

A problem just started the other day that has me puzzled The Aero effects longer user? Aero for working main no on my desktop themes have quit working but only for the Admin user on my desktop On another account it seems to work OK It's currently running Win Home Premium It had been working fine until now I installed a new motherboard a few weeks ago Aero no longer working for main user? with no issue The only other Aero no longer working for main user? thing is that I've gotten a quick blip of a message when starting up that says Windows couldn't connect to a service but it disappears so quickly I can't read all of it When I try to apply a new Aero theme all of the options are greyed out Here's what I've done so far uninstalled nvidia drivers and updated to latest version run the scannow utility no errors updated my Windows Experience - saw no changes in score ran the Aero troubleshooter with no effect As everything seems to be working ok otherwise I'm just considering this as an annoyance but I'd appreciate Aero no longer working for main user? any help

A:Aero no longer working for main user?

Have you run the Aero Troubleshooter In Windows 7 

(Start button/Control Panel. In the search box, type Troubleshooter, click Troubleshooting, 
and then, under Appearance and Personalization, click Display Aero desktop effects.)

Or did you try the Fixit below.

I don't know if there is any difference.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/aero_effects_not_working

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/525547/aero-no-longer-working-for-main-user/
Relevancy 53.75%

I read a few articles on how to make Windows 8 automatically log in, yet I wantWindows 8 to automatically log in to the main account which is password protected AND automatically switch user.

I want to do this because sometimes when I turn on the computer, I walk away then come back to it. You see, the reason why I want to do this is because when I turn on the computer and come back to it to log in my account, there's a little bit of a wait time to load up the account. If the computer automatically logs in and switches the user, then when I come back to the computer, all I have to do is type in the password, and everything is already loaded in that account.

Is that option possible? It must be.

A:Automatically Log In To Main Account & Switch User

Do you really want to switch users or you want your screen password protected?

It sounds to me you want to log on and then after (say 1 minute of being idle) lock the screen. To do this you could set up a new Task Scheduler task to call this: rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

Enclosed is an example task you can import - copy the xml below into notepad and save it as lockscreen.xml (.xml attachments can't be uploaded here). You can then import it into task scheduler.
You will need to change the user (COMPUTER\USER) and may want to play with the idle time, delay time. You can do this when you import the task - no need to edit the xml.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<Task xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task" version="1.2"><RegistrationInfo><Date>2014-08-28T08:17:32.8816798</Date><Author>COMPUTER\USER</Author></RegistrationInfo><Triggers><LogonTrigger><Enabled>true</Enabled></LogonTrigger></Triggers>
<Principals>
<Principal id="Author"><UserId>COMPUTER\USER</UserId><LogonType>InteractiveToken</LogonType><RunLevel>LeastPrivilege</RunLevel></Principal></Principals><Settings><MultipleInstancesPolicy>IgnoreNew</MultipleInstancesPolicy><DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>true</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries><StopIfGoingOnBatteries>false</StopIfGoingOnBatteries><AllowHardTerminate>true</AllowHardTerminate><StartWhenAvailable>false</StartWhenAvailable><RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable><IdleSettings><Duration>PT1M</Duration><WaitTimeout>PT1H</WaitTimeout><StopOnIdleEnd>false</StopOnIdleEnd><RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle></IdleSettings><AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand><Enabled>true</Enabled><Hidden>false</Hidden><RunOnlyIfIdle>true</RunOnlyIfIdle><WakeToRun>false</WakeToRun><ExecutionTimeLimit>P3D</ExecutionTimeLimit>
<Priority>7</Priority></Settings><Actions Context="Author"><Exec><Command>rundll32.exe</Command><Arguments>user32.dll,LockWorkStation</Arguments></Exec></Actions></Task>

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/52718-automatically-log-main-account-switch-user.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I had to replace my hard drive an windows assigned the drive letter to I: not to c: how do I change it to c:

A:how to change the main hard drive letter back to c:

Hi

See this article: How to restore the system/boot drive letter in Windows

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-change-the-main-hard-drive-letter-back-to-c-602838.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi, I just bought a Lumia 650. I want to give my Lumia 535 to my sister, but I can't log out from my Microsoft account on the 535. From what I've read, there's 2 ways for me to do this. 1) I hard reset the 535 and lose the apps that I think my sister might find useful. 2) I change my Main account online. No. 2 sounds like I'll be logged out of my 650 also, and I'll still lose the apps on the 535? Is there a way to change the main account on just my 535 without losing any apps?

A:How to change Main account on only one Windows 10 Mobile device?

Originally Posted by Windows Central Question Is there a way to change the main account on just my 535 without losing any apps? No.
You will have to reset the device and your sister will have to collect the Apps under her own Microsoft Account.
There is no way for you to "share" the Apps you own to another device and if you keep your Microsoft Account on that phone your sister will have access to all sorts of stuff you don't want her to have, email, SMS, etc...
If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/432876-how-change-main-account-only-one-windows-10-mobile-device.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Ok, I took out a driver from a computer and installed it as a slave on a new one and tried to copy everything on it but it won't let me access the one main user folder--its say I don't have access rights, but I am logged on as an Administrator. How do I change that?

A:Main User Account on Secondary Drive--Can't Access It!

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

Let us know if that helps or not.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/main-user-account-on-secondary-drive-cant-access-it.502058/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello I'm not sure if I'm posting it correctly here or should it go under games I suppose this problem can happen with other programs the launch main FIFA doesn't account? 16 user on that's why I chose to post it here So I downloaded FIFA demo before the release date and every time I try to launch it I would get a windows message saying FIFA has stopped working and then forces you to close it I tried playing it on my laptop and FIFA 16 doesn't launch on the main user account? it worked fine I thought there was a bug with the demo so I just let it go for now never had this issues with older FIFA games or any EA game in particular All run fine till now Then the game was launched officially and the FIFA 16 doesn't launch on the main user account? game itself had the same problem So I FIFA 16 doesn't launch on the main user account? contacted EA support Told them the problem and I went through a series of fixes that they thought we necessary but only two worked They weren't fixes but work arounds The first was setting up a new user account and the game launched perfectly there The second was running windows under safe mode running a clean boot didn't work either So they transferred me to their quot specialists quot and asked for my DxDiag and MSinfo files Eventually they returned saying to contact microsoft as the problem is within windows and has nothing to do with EA weird because FIFA still works on there So I contact microsoft asking them for a fix or a way to repair reset my account so I wouldn't have that problem The tech guy said he was confident that he could fix it but for a fee of I'd rather just reinstall windows or just play off the other account for now till i'm less busy than pay to fix that So I thought I'd ask here if anyone has any suggestions for me Thank you in advance Karim Abdelrahman

A:FIFA 16 doesn't launch on the main user account?

A Demo is just a Demo. So where in the world did you download this "Demo" from.

http://www.eightforums.com/gaming/71521-fifa-16-doesnt-launch-main-user-account.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello all and issue association/renaming 7HomePremiumm User Main many thanks for looking to help me out I recently had a relatively new HP Pavilion p f running Win Home Premium bit given to me by a relative and I proceeded to make it my own with regards to the computer ownership and the main admin user Due to the complexity of Win regarding users which I found Main User association/renaming issue 7HomePremiumm out about far too late I now have an interesting situation which I would like to resolve After taking ownership of the computer I proceeded to change the computer name and attempting to change the main user name to something appropriate for my family While I do not recall the exact steps I took I attempted simply renaming everything and then I imported all of my files with Windows Easy File Transfer First my main admin profile not the hidden admin is named quot Mommy and Daddy quot This profile directory has appeared in the main root rather than under C Users Previously the main user on the computer was named quot Debbie quot which still exists under C Users Currently all actions of saving to quot My Documents quot quot Downloads quot and etc libraries places all files in the C Users Debbie folders All of the files imported in went to both C Users Debbie and the new Mommy Daddy profile in the root directory See picture below user issue png photo by minotaur Photobucket After I discovered this after working some permissions issues I found that in the user control panel no longer had the Debbie profile available After reading this tutorial on the issue User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name - Windows Forums I created a temporary admin and attempted to re-create the Debbie user which only resulted in a new Debbie user under C Users Debbie- user issue- png photo by minotaur Photobucket After reading the above mentioned tutorial I looked at the registry and I saw no keys which clearly showed ANY of the user names currently on the PC Thus I am hesitant to make any further changes without some assistance I want to minimize the amount of file moving and risk of loss In essence I want rename the User Debbie to quot Mommy and Daddy quot and keep all of the current library associations where I know all the files and settings are good and simply delete the current mommy and daddy user from the root directory whilst maintaining the user on the user control panel How can do achieve this end result Thanks Dan

A:Main User association/renaming issue 7HomePremiumm

What I would do is create an image backup of the hard drive to an external USB hard drive. You should have one to do backups to normally anyway so now would be a good time to get it.

Then restore the computer to it's Factory New state. No leftovers from the previous owner, no self inflicted problems

See here:

Once you have it it reinstalled, apply SP1 if not there and all updates. Install a anti-virus then you can recover any data you want from the Macrium Image Backup. You will need to install Macrium again so you can browse the backup and select what you want from it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/264973-main-user-association-renaming-issue-7homepremiumm.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi, I upgraded to from 8 to 8.1 last night and now my main account is not showing up on the front screen for me to be able to log into it. All the other accounts are there. I've looked in 'C\Users' and the folder is still in there, any idea what's going on and how I can reinstate it? I also had a look at the restore point so I could 'roll back' but there's not a point in there from before the update, I thought update always set a restore point automatically? Thanks

A:Lost user account from main screen after upgrading to 8.1

Try this 4.
Type in elevated cmd window "net user username password /add" and hit Enter. **[Replace 'username' and 'password' with your desired username and password]** 1. Go to C:\Users\(Your-Corrupted-Profile-Name)\. C: can be different according to the drive, where you have installed Windows 8. 2. Copy all files except three files : NtUser.dat NtUser.ini NtUser.log If you cannot find the last file then there will be two log file with .LOG1 and .LOG2 extensions. Leave these Files 3. Go to C:\Users\(New-User-Profile-name)\ 4. Paste all those copied files here. Now delete the corrupted profile. You have successfully transferred all information and settings of the corrupted profile to the newly created User Profile.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/33205-lost-user-account-main-screen-after-upgrading-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I m sure I m not using the correct terms but I goofed and need help to fix things When I set up my new computer I gave peterinwa as the main username Then I realized I had a problem All my files are backed up on the web under Users gt Peter gt My Documents I could download them into peterinwa okay but User Main Name User then when I went to back up my new computer it will think it had to back User Name Main User up everything in peterinwa not knowing the files are the same as the ones in Peter that were already on the web So I created a folder in Users called Peter and put them User Name Main User in there The problem is that when I go to Library gt Documents or Pictures or whatever it always takes me to peterinwa which is empty I can change the username peterinwa to Peter but it only affects the name I see in Start It doesn t really change anything Is User Name Main User there a way to actually change the main user peterinwa to Peter If not I guess I ll just move all my files into peterinwa and I ll just have to back them all up to the web again when I run the first backup on my new computer Lordy I hope that was clear Thank you Peter nbsp

A:User Name Main User

Login as administrator (may need to boot "safe mode" to do this), then create a new user "Peter" with admin access, then do your file restore. Once that is complete, test everything out to make sure it all works, then determine if you can safely remove the peterinwa account.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-name-main-user.1080628/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello! I am using my laptop in desktop mode so i cant use the laptop screen, i have set it up so it showes everything on my monitor exept the Windows startup wich i find really annoying! If you have a solution for this feel free to tell it!

A:Can i change so my laptop shows the windows startup on my main monitor

I don't think there's any solution because the reason it's able to switch at all is it's loading the driver for the GPU during startup. So when you see it switch, that's when the GPU's driver gets loaded.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/292273-can-i-change-so-my-laptop-shows-windows-startup-my-main-monitor.html
Relevancy 52.46%

A few days ago a friends laptop wouldn't load his main user profile, so he has started using the other profile he had set up, but he has lost access to all his music, documents, programs and photos. .. am getting acces to his computer later.. and would like some advice on what to do .. all I know is he runs windows Vista.. will update on version and spec if nessecary later.

Please help

A:[SOLVED] Main User Profile not loading Windows vista

Please .. I need an answer.. have been looking and all the suggestions are to manipulate the registry.. was wondering if a windows vista recovery disc would work ? ..want the simplest solution please ??

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-main-user-profile-not-loading-windows-vista-519550.html
Relevancy 52.46%

WinXP Home, 4 users, only main user can access interent.

Any setting I can change to get the DSL to operate with the other user accounts?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/winxp-home-4-users-only-main-user-can-access-interent.315596/
Relevancy 52.46%

After a long battle with the Zeroaccess and Norton Power Erase, my malware is gone, but sometime in one of the last scans, my computer froze up, and I was forced to do a hard reset. When I got it back on, my touchpad was screwy. It acts like it is on permanant scroll lock, because when I slide my fingers around, all it does is move the highlights up and down. I had already tried using Windows repair all in one, and it had fixed the touchpad briefly, but after putting my laptop to sleep, it is back to the way it was. Prior to that, I had created a second user account to see if it were a hardware, or other issue, and my touchpad works normally in the other user. It also works normally in the login screen. Here is a link to the history.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/493560/zeroaccess-recovery-phase-iii-we-must-kill-it-before-it-replicates/page-2

A:Malware removed, but my touchpad is acting crazy on main user.

I suggest you uninstall the driver and then reinstall it again. Its possible there was registry corruption in that profile.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/494699/malware-removed-but-my-touchpad-is-acting-crazy-on-main-user/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello, I want to create a standard user and deny him seeing files on the main account on the computer.

I am using windows 7.

Basically one hard drive will have the main account(set to administrator) and another account for a friend to use(set to standard).

I do not want the standard user to see files on the administrator at all but ran into problems.

The administrator can have a file named "bank account" and the standard user can search on the start menu "bank account" and actually see the file! This goes for pictures, music, and other files I do not want the standard user to see or even access.

How do I fix this?

A:Wanting to create standard user and deny seeing main account's files.

One way to do it(from the main account) is to go into properties, security tab for folder c:\users\username where username is your main account. Click the Edit button and then Add the second user account. Then check Deny. When you check the first box "Full Control" it will set all others as Deny.

There may be other and better ways to do this as it's better to change the read access to only certain account types than to deny a certain account, but the above solution is fast and good enough as long as you continue to add deny restrictions for any additional standard accounts you create.

PS. On my current PC standard users don't have read access to my "main" account, and I've haven't done anything to set that up. I think that's the default behavior. Maybe someone knows more and can explain?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/359649-wanting-create-standard-user-deny-seeing-main-accounts-files.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello, when I sign on to my computer, then click my user, it won't load. There is just a black screen with the cursor. I've tried using ctrl+shift+escape and typing explorer.exe, but the task manager immediately has an error and closes. I think the problem with this is that all the files with an .exe close within a few seconds after opening.

I CAN use the computer with the administrative user. I can access my files and transfer them over to my admin account. The problem with this is that all my preferences and settings (particularly my firefox bookmarks and settings) are gone.

Does anyone have an idea on how I might fix this?

Thanks,
Brad

A:Main user account won't load. Just a black screen. All programs close.

Try a system restore to a date just before the problem started.

Start menu All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/568704/main-user-account-wont-load-just-a-black-screen-all-programs-close/
Relevancy 52.03%

Black screen with mouse capability but no icons no startup or anything I can log into my Administrator but my main system is under user Rob When I login to Rob I have a black screen for my desktop User Rob is able to ctrl alt del into Task Manager and can log into other users I can view everything in Task manager but that is all No desktop anywhere This has been happening frequently and I would do a System Restore to get back to normalcy but now I went to System Restore and it is telling me there are no restore points I tried scanning all pointer a with desktop Win screen but blank start, User's main 7 mouse is will my drives for errors did Malwarebytes complete scan and Webroot complete scan I guess Win 7 will start, but main User's desktop is a blank screen with mouse pointer I have two questions A Is there any way to Win 7 will start, but main User's desktop is a blank screen with mouse pointer manually do a System Restore I am pretty sure the restore points are on my drive but within Windows System Restore I cannot locate them B Could it possibly be that something isn't running in my User's Processes or Services Thanks everyone

A:Win 7 will start, but main User's desktop is a blank screen with mouse pointer

Sounds like a corrupted user profile to me, see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile .

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/488460/win-7-will-start-but-main-users-desktop-is-a-blank-screen-with-mouse-pointer/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello, when I sign on to my computer, then click my user, it won't load. There is just a black screen with the cursor. I've tried using ctrl+shift+escape and typing explorer.exe, but the task manager immediately has an error and closes. I think the problem with this is that all the files with an .exe close within a few seconds after opening.

I CAN use the computer with the administrative user. I can access my files and transfer them over to my admin account. The problem with this is that all my preferences and settings from my user are gone.

Does anyone have an idea on how I might fix this my corrupt user account?
Thanks,
Brad

A:Main user won't load. Just a black screen. All programs close immediately

Welcome to TSG hirowhite. Go to the link and follow the steps there.

Fix a corrupted user profile

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/main-user-wont-load-just-a-black-screen-all-programs-close-immediately.1143996/
Relevancy 51.6%

(reposted from Customization)

Having just learned from an OLD post here that renaming a user account apparently doesn't change the order in which the corresponding logon icons appear at startup -- due to the order being apparently determined by when each folder was originally created, which was when this computer was first opened back in 2011 -- I want to be able, after creating a new user account, to migrate data from the account whose name I changed. I'd been previously suggested to try User Profile Wizard from Forensit.com... would this be a good idea, or can you suggest something different?

HP/Compaq CQ2014, AMD E-300, Radeon HD graphics, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit custom SP1, 3MB RAM, 500GB disk

Bob

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/392449-create-new-user-migrate-old-users-data-change-logon-icon-order.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Having just learned from an OLD post here that renaming a user account apparently doesn't change the order in which the corresponding logon icons appear at startup -- due to the order being apparently determined by when each folder was originally created, which was when this computer was first opened back in 2011 -- I want to be able, after creating a new user account, to migrate data from the account whose name I changed. I'd been previously suggested to try User Profile Wizard from Forensit.com... would this be a good idea, or can you suggest something different?

HP/Compaq CQ2014, AMD E-300, Radeon HD graphics, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit custom SP1, 3MB RAM, 500GB disk

Bob

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/392313-create-new-user-migrate-old-users-data-change-logon-icon-order.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hey I recently started to notice some strange activity on my MacBook, and am unable to change the root user, along with this on my console the country code sometimes changes to NL without me doing so. Sometimes I also get a message on my console saying "parental controls, start observing". Is there something fishy going on ?, any help much appreciated, thanks

A:Unable to change root user and country change on console, mac osx

Please post any operating (or infection) problems to the Mac forum area, as they are not handled here ...........

Operating Systems → Mac OS  ...............

Thank You - - - -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/552928/unable-to-change-root-user-and-country-change-on-console-mac-osx/
Relevancy 50.31%

So after I did change to SATA AHCI mode in the BIOS, the main boot hard drive shows as a removable device in system tray. So how do I fix this issue, and I did follow the instructions in the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 922976, and is found right here; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

A:after change to SATA AHCI mode in BIOS, the main boot hard drive shows as removable

There is nothing to fix, SATA drives are hot pluggable so that is all perfectly normal.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/after-change-to-sata-ahci-mode-in-bios-the-main-boot-hard-drive-shows-as-removable.1035439/
Relevancy 49.88%

I installed Win x with a user name quot user quot a long time ago At some point I changed the User's name to quot Karen quot to make it easier to spot on the home network etc The Computer Name quot Dell quot has not changed Today I wanted to connect to the computer quot Karen quot using my workgroup not a homegroup All of my other computers now share with workgroup However the computer quot I Name user the and user's the Can remove old change completely name? Karen quot does not Can I change the user's Name and completely remove the old user name? require a password to logon so when I tried to connect via the workgroup I got a popup box asking for the Credentials to Connect I need to enter the User Name and Password to connect to quot Dell quot And I and wife don't know the password Anyways I reset the password using the quot Reset Forgotten Password quot tutorial going into registry etc That worked but I still could not access the computer Karen - windows would not accept the password Running quot net users Can I change the user's Name and completely remove the old user name? quot I see that I don't have a User quot Karen quot I have a user quot user quot So i used that user name with the new password and I'm connected All is good But how do I get rid of quot user quot and replace with quot Karen quot Can this be done

A:Can I change the user's Name and completely remove the old user name?

Quote: Originally Posted by CountryBumkin

But how do I get rid of "user1" and replace with "Karen"? Can this be done?

When a new user is created in Windows, either the first user when Windows is installed or any user later on, and the new user has signed in to Windows first time, the user profile is created and named. Any later username change does not change the name of the user profile.

An example, if my ex-wife had created a user account for me on a Windows computer she had most probably named it as "Idiot". If I then later on changed my username on that computer from "Idiot" to "Kari", my profile had remained as "Idiot".

Basically, the easiest way to change this is to create a new user account and profile with the preferred name, copy the personal files and folders from C:\Users\Wrong_Username folder to C:\Users\New_Username, and delete the user Wrong_Username completely.

In your case now you can try the method told in this tutorial: User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/372135-can-i-change-users-name-completely-remove-old-user-name.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi there,

In Win-7, as an admin-user, it was easy to change the picture from another user. In Win-8 I'm only able to find where I can change my own picture. Can't I set it anymore for other users?

Cheers.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/11409-change-user-account-picture-another-user.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi,
I have a Windows 8.1 system on a lap top that was used by a former employee. Her name was still on user name and I couldn't change it without Admin privileges (otherwise was asking for a smart card). Found out how to get in to admin in safe mode with Net
User Admin yes- then discovered that the old log in and information / desk top is no longer available. The docs are under Users (old employee's name) in C drive, but the docs and settings no longer show up and the admin log in is the only one available - no
option to change users.
When I went in and said Net User Admin no - thinking if I disabled admin user it would go back to the old log in -  there was no log in available at all.

Help?
Launa

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/56c281dc-3368-4418-93ac-3cd96832c513/enabled-net-user-admin-to-change-an-account-name-cant-change-name-and-now-origial-login-account?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 47.73%

I ve just installed a new copy of Windows Ultimate By default the first user account as declared in windows setup is set at administrator level I want to run this main account as a standard user but when I went to change this in account settings the option to change the account to standard was greyed out I decided to enable the administrator account to change this hidden user, account Run account with standard as main admin computer management local Run main account as standard user, with admin account hidden users and groups un-ticked account is disabled I logged on as administrator then changed the main account to standard As the Administrator account is now enabled it shows on the welcome screen I don t want this I went back and disabled it running computer management as admin in the now standard account and re-ticked account is disabled technically this should be how it was before I touched it except the main account is now at standard user level rather than administrator level The problem i have now is when trying to run anything on the standard account that needs admin rights i get the UAC box asking to enter admin password which is blank but there is no administrator icon or password field and the yes button is greyed out How can I have my main account as standard user the administrator account not showing on welcome screen but allowing it admin to authorise actions on the standard account that required admin rights via UAC i e when UAC comes up I can click yes to run as administrator At the moment the correct process happens but yes is greyed out when the admin account is disabled When the admin account is enabled this works yes button not greyed out but the administrator account shows on the welcome screen which i don t want

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/482436/run-main-account-as-standard-user-with-admin-account-hidden/
Relevancy 47.3%

OS Windows XP v Professional SP I restored the computer system as I had lost everything stored in the old user profile A NEW USER PROFILE mlinda quot is created with the correct domain attached to it eg CAA MAU and is fully restored The OLD USER PROFILE quot m linda quot remains in the documents and settings BUT - the domain is of a local computer eg SPARXX and it no longer works with the eg CAA MAU domain The original quot m linda quot user profile contains almost nothing in it no documents etc m linda is still listed in the userlist in computer management BUT 2 (fully name user user restored) new profile old ? Urgent-How profile change to back NOT THE NEW mlinda In administrator mode I dont t see ALL the contents of the newly restored profile Questions How do I change user profile quot mlinda Urgent-How 2 change new user profile (fully restored) back to old user profile name ? quot that has successfully retored everthing back to quot m linda quot since the new profile has everything intact How do I safely delete the newly restored quot mlinda quot and ensure everything is back to normal with the OLD USER PROFILE m linda How to ensure that the correct domain name is attached to the profile by transferring all the data from THE NEW mlinda eg domain CAA MAU to THE OLD m linda that currently has a local computer domain SPARXX User profile m linda has to be attched to domain CAA MAU Should I be backing up before eventhough the new mlinda is in super condition I read in forums that the links to desktop can be lost by transfering How do I retain it Do I have to change anything in the registry value Should I do it with Administrator account in normal mode or safe mode When I log on as an Administrator both mlinda and m linda is as brand new and none of the exisiting files in it When I log in as mlinda new I still see m linda local computer domain in the user list but not mlinda the new But when I right click properties of c documents and setting mlinda under security I see that mlinda is listed with the correct domain name My biggeest fear is not to lose the domain ouutlook etc while changing mlinda to m linda B Rather than going through a process of copying mlinda to m linda Is it possible just delete THE OLD USER PROFILE m linda and rename the THE NEW USER PROFILE mlinda since this is fully restored to m linda If yes what are the best steps And how can I make the adjustments to user list since when wondows starts there is only THE NEW PROFILE mlinda popping up I need it back to m linda I read in a forum that I can go to registry HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVer Profilelist and change but I don t want to mess with it In my case in the registry i should I delete m linda first and rename mlinda to m linda This is rather urgent and need to fix today All your help are truly appreciated Thank you nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/urgent-how-2-change-new-user-profile-fully-restored-back-to-old-user-profile-name.1004093/
Relevancy 47.3%

Howdy All -
I'm thinking I'm not the first nor the last to have MS trick me into changing my User Name from Local to (in my case) an outlook.com email account. Now I'm forced to sign in every time I log on. And FWIW, I prefer to be fully in charge of my devices.
-
I surely would appreciate some guidance on the proper way to switch back to a Local User and disassociate my computer from outlook.com. Many thanks in advance for reading this and all replies.

Best,
/jdU

A:Proper (Safe) way to change from "Microsoft.com" User to Local User

Settings>>Accounts>>Under your Microsoft Account listing, click on "Change to a Local account instead".

Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/49640-proper-safe-way-change-microsoft-com-user-local-user.html
Relevancy 46.87%

How do I copy documents from my main user account to my second user account on my home computer?

A:How do copy documents from my main user account to my second account

Read this for instructions.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-copy-documents-from-my-main-user-account-to-my-second-account.799319/
Relevancy 46.44%

I'm setting up Win for the st time on a Lenovo Win laptop It had to do a ton of upgrades before all the features would work like the touch screen amp task bar Once all the updates were completed I started to set it up Somehow I missed the part where you put a name to the quot USER quot in the C drive On my Asus it says This USER? This to edit/change "USER" How > user > in: C: PC> PC gt C gt user gt johnf But on the Lenovo is says This PC gt C gt user gt USER I went in amp changed the Local Account Admin to a Name I wanted hoping that would change quot USER quot to quot rocco quot but it didn't I know that all programs installed in the future will have a path that looks like This How to edit/change "USER" in: This PC> C: > user > USER? PC gt How to edit/change "USER" in: This PC> C: > user > USER? C gt user gt USER gt Dropbox unless I can change it I'm not very far into setting the laptop up so I want to make sure I don't keep moving forward in case I have to reset or roll back anything How can I fix this problem Also why do I have a C drive GB amp a D drive GB after I did the Win update it had Win on it but needed to upgrade to a newer version amp now I have a D drive that i did not create Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/how-to-edit-change-user-in-this-pc-c-user-user-1145193.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I am laptop user. About 2hr ago, i login to my lappy and discover that my profile is different. My folders on desktop went missing and some of the setting changed. Then i try on my own to solve it but to no avail. Fortunately i come upon my C:\Documents and Settings and discover that strange profile C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP and my original profile C:\Documents and Settings\p0716499 was still there. This imply that my previous setting and files are still in my laptop. However, I cant changed back to the original profile and struck with the temp profile.
Initially i suspect is registry problem so i DL "UPHClean Service" by miscosoft but to no avail. Now currently i suspect it might be the work of a virus. I need help. Thank anyone who help me in advance.

A:User profile path change to user profile path change to C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP :\Documents and Settings...

This morning when i woke up, i discovered a icon named "syminstallstub" on my desktop. I checked online and i believe that it could be a virus. I try to find ways to uninstall it but to no avail I not sure what did my younger brother do to my laptop. I feel that im damn unlucky and encounter 2 problems in a row. Please help me solve my problems.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/394384/user-profile-path-change-to-user-profile-path-change-to-cdocuments-and-settingstemp-documents-and-settingstemp/
Relevancy 44.29%

Is there a way to change my user name on this website? I tried to look and didn't see anything.

A:Change user name?

Hello Petoskey,

Only an Administrator or Super Mod can change your user name. What would you like to have your user name to be instead? I would be happy to change it for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/272930-change-user-name.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello, I have just bought a second hand laptop (once again!). I have changed the user name on it to my name (kasim). But the problem is that when i go to Computer and then Users, the user name is still the same as before. The only settings that are on my name is the start menu. Can u please help me change the user name in every setting.

Thanks!

All the settings are the same on this laptop. (Windows Vista, Home Premium etc.)

A:Change User name

Hello Kasim,

When you change your user account name through "User Accounts" in the Control Panel, it only changes the name that is display at log on and in the Start Menu. It will not change the C:\Users\(User-name) folder's original name.

The only way to do this is to create a new account of the same type (administrator or standard), copy the files in all of your old account's C:\Users\(User-name) folder into the corresponding new account's C:\Users\(User-name) folders. After everything checks out ok in the new account, you can then delete the old account from within the new one.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/272905-change-user-name.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I changed the name of my pc and I am the only user of my pc and do have the admin rights however there is still a folder out there with the old name and I do not have permissions to change it due to it being in settings. I am referring to the folders named
Michael
Public.
Michael should read Tami where do I go to change this?

Thanks

A:change user name

When you "Rename" an user account it ONLY changes the name and NOT the related folder.

The only way to get a new name with a new folder, is to make a new user account and then move/copy all files from the old to the new.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-user-name.1158197/
Relevancy 44.29%

Running XP Home. Would like to change a User Name in Documents & Settings, but the system says No. Can this be done? Thanks

Relevancy 44.29%

I recently bought a used computer. It had a lock screen on it n I don't know password...can you help

A:Change user

I'm afraid not. From the site rules...
Please do not ask for assistance with (or ways to bypass) a forgotten or unknown password, personal identification number (PIN) or any other type of access code that may be required on a computer, mobile device or web site. As there is no way to verify the actual situation or intent, no assistance will be provided and any such threads will be closed.Click to expand...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-user.1171377/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi Guys

I know this might sound easy, but I have spent the last 24 hours trying to do this! I have been trying:

Start - Control Panel - User Accounts - Select User - Change Name

and the user name has changed and I thought everything was okay. However this appears to be only a visible change, as I have a program that uses this name and it is still reporting the previous user name.

Am I missing something? I created a new user account and my program reports the new user name

Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks

Neil

A:How Do I Change A User Name?

Are you using the method described on this page?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/108936/how-do-i-change-a-user-name/
Relevancy 44.29%

i have an NT server 4.0 and it automatically logs in. now i want to login as an administrator now, but every time i reboot or control alt delete to log off, it just logs right back on as the auto login guy. how do i sign in as the admin????

A:change user???

Hold down the left shift key while logging off and keep it held down until the system pops-up the logon screen. At that point, type in the new name and password.

Don't hit esc or click cancel or go away for any length of time, as it will proceed to logon with the old user.

After you are through and logoff again, you will get an error message and you will have to re-enter the auto login info at the logon screen.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-user.73509/
Relevancy 44.29%

I would like to change my user name on this forum, is this possible. And if so how do I do it? Thanks

Relevancy 44.29%

when I setup my new dell inspiron with windows 10, I did not know how it assigned the user names shown on the login, I would like to change them. How can I change the user names. I have 3 and want to change all of them

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-name-change.1164107/
Relevancy 44.29%

I have just installed Windows Xp Pro Sp2 on my computer. I see after everything is completed I have Administrator as my user name what I would like to know is if there is a way to change the user name safely. I have tried to change the name through the control panel but when I click the user account the option to change account name is not listed .

A:Change Win Xp Pro User Name?

You are logged in using the base administrator account. This account cannot be changed. If you want a different user name you can create a new user account with administrative powers. Normally what happens after that is that you will be able to see only the new user account in normal mode and the base "administrator" account will be visible in safe mode.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-win-xp-pro-user-name.735261/
Relevancy 44.29%

My computer came with the user name of "Valued Customer". I have changed the account name, but the user name has stayed the same. Can I change the user name in Windows 7, Home Premium?

A:Change User Name

The only way to change the name is to open a new account, transfer everything over and delete the old account.

To avoid being corrected, allow me to add that you probably can by a registry hack, but I would not try a procedure like that, risking a potential problem later on.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/97784-change-user-name.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi Mods is it possible to change my user name at all? would like a hyphen between "steve-pressman" like that

Regards

Steve

A:Can I change my user name ?

Quote: Originally Posted by stevepressman

Hi Mods is it possible to change my user name at all? would like a hyphen between "steve-pressman" like that

Regards

Steve

Hi

Have a read of this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...nts.html?ltr=U

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/49578-can-i-change-my-user-name.html
Relevancy 44.29%

In my area, Goodwill sells refurbished computers, and I purchased one. The standard practice of Good Will is to create the default user of the computer. In that regard, there is a locked symbol on that account. And I discovered this Naming after I installed all of the Programs on the computer. I need the default user name changed to my choosing because this default name populates all the fields of nomenclature in all installed programs--some of which have to be changed each time. Is there a way to change the name of the locked default user on my computer? Thanks for any help WilbertC.

A:User Name Change

Hi and welcome to TSF you should really speak to goodwill and have them fix the name issue

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/user-name-change-685173.html
Relevancy 44.29%

After I installed Windows 10, I created a Microsoft online account to see what it was like. During the process, it changed the name on my local Windows 10 user account. I used Control Panel to go to Users, but there seemed to be no way to change the name back to the original. It's the only account on the computer. Surely changing the name is possible, but how? Will I have to create a new administrator account and delete the old one?

A:Can't change User name

This worked for me:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/user-account-name-change

Hope it helps.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/10542-cant-change-user-name.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I bought a new computer and gave my old one to my wife, both are Win 7 Home Premium. When hers first started it came up with my User name and picture so I changed my name to hers and my picture to hers. Unfortunately that was the only place it changed User names. When I look at the Home Group on my computer I have 2 computers with my name! Also iTunes has my name in the file for hers.
I have Senior Moments and get confused very easily. Is there a correct way to change the User name on her computer to eliminate my confusion?

A:User name change

Welcome to the Forums!

Please refer to the following Tutorial:

User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name

If you still have some questions, at the bottom of the tutorial there are links to other tutorials relevant to your question.

Hope this helps!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/179801-user-name-change.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi all;

I just bought a new computer with xp on it and the user name is RadioShack.
My name appears in User Accounts as Administrator. Guest is there also.
Under Documents and Settings is "RadioShack"
Very Annoying.
Can you tell me how to change it to my name?
Appreciate any help and thanks.

A:How to Change User Name?

Hi !!!!!!!!!!

follow the instruction:
Control panel>>>administrative tools >>>>> Local Security and policy
>>>> Local policy >>>>> Security option >>>> Accounts: Rename administrator account
Kvijay

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-change-user-name-382571.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Is there a way to change the user name on a Windows XP computer? I replaced someone else in a position and need to keep all their files, etc. But it is annoying to keep logging in as her. And I reallyl don't want to try to figure out how to transfer all her everything into a new user name set up for me. Needless to say, I know any passwords involved.

Thank you

A:Change user name

Scroll down on the page lionked below and it covers changing the user account:
http://help.expedient.net/general/winxp_profiles.shtml

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-user-name.379947/
Relevancy 43.86%

I bought this computer on ebay a few weeks ago and everything has been great. I was hoping the seller wiped the computer clean, but there was still some user names and name of computer filled from the prior user, so I went into control panel and changed the admin user name and all other things pertaining to the owner of this computer now belonging to a new user name; (to my knowledge) however, when I go to view this file (shown below) through winrar and then through a browser it still shows the prior user's name. Why is this and how can I fix the problem?? I'm sure it's a simple fix. Thanks!

A:How to truly change user's name in WIN 7 Ultimate?!

Hello Kaiyou, and welcome to Seven Forums.

The best way would be to create a new user account for yourself, then delete the old one.

Of course, since this is a used computer off ebay, it may be best to do a factory restore or reinstall Windows to start fresh. You never know what may be on it from the previous owner.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/343505-how-truly-change-users-name-win-7-ultimate.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hey guys I'm new here just looking for some help.
When I got my PC the default user was jenna so I changed the name to Lucas (my name) but some stuff is still labeled jenna.
for example when I go into OS>Users there's no option for Lucas, just jenna.
Also when I try and right click the folder to change the name it wont let me. There is no rename option at all and if I go into properties the name area is grayed out.
Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can finally get jenna off of my PC?

A:Cant change user name from jenna

Yes create you own User account make sure it's and Administrator, then delete the Jenna account
Control panel/user accounts/Manage Accounts. create your new account make it an Administrator account

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/56674-cant-change-user-name-jenna.html
Relevancy 43.86%

how do you change your indevidual user security so when you download something, the other users dont get it?

A:change user security?

Hi annax4493, and welcome to The Vista Forums

You will need to set permissions to your downloads folder(s)

have a read of the tutorial here ...

Folder Permissions

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/197090-change-user-security.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi,

my system is a fully patched win xp sp2 with 2 User accounts (admin and limited). I am running Spybot s&d with tea timer on. Everything has been running smoothly. Yesterday I took some adminstrative action (index.dat suite, deletion of cookies etc) after that tea timer gives a warning "Win Logon, Default User name has been changed from Admin to Limited and back" every time I switch between my accounts. Is this regular xp behavior or did some setting got messed up? I am not using "autoadminlogon" and haven't messed with the winlogon registry entry in any way. At least I think.

Any ideas appreciated. It is quite annoying to have these pop ups every time I change accounts.

Relevancy 43.86%

Hi can someone please help me with this i have a Windows Vista PC x and i usually create administrator right accounts and one standard user account on my pc unfortunately User account change for me i deleted one of my adminisrator accounts and so i was left with one and i upgraded my Vista to Windows Professional sometime yesterday i am not really sure how i lost administrator priveleges in the account so now i have two standard accounts but no administrator and the default administrator password has been changed earlier and i dont remember what it is how can i change one of my standard User account change users to an administrator Now anytime i try to install something i can't because i User account change have no administrative rights i cannot afford to format because i will lose a lot of programs that i have paid for i cant even back up the keys because i have no administrative rights can someone please help me It would be greatly appreciated Is there a command i DOS or some form of a recovery disk that can help me out I had not made a restore point when i upgraded so that was could not help either

A:User account change

Hello Aaron, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if using a Peppermint 3 live DVD/USB may allow you to be able to back up anything that you do not want to lose before having to reinstall Windows.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...cy-backup.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/281369-user-account-change.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I am the only user of my pc, and I am the administrator etc but the user name shown in the C drive is John and I want to change that to Pete.

I have drives C and F

In C the user is called John
In F user called Pete
Start/File Explorer/This pc/Local Disc (C/Users/John
Start/File Explorer/This pc/Local Disc (F/Users/Pete

Q2 How do I rename user John to Pete in the C drive?
Thanks
Pete

A:How to change C drive User Name?

Read this post in msg #8 and see if this helps you.
is it possible to change user's name in windows 10 ?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/33904-how-change-c-drive-user-name.html
Relevancy 43.86%

My ftp server run on IIS of Windows server 2003. When romote user change his password,The error happened as follow:

ftp> open 192.168.0.2
Connected to 192.168.0.2.
220 Microsoft FTP Service
User (192.168.0.2none)): Guojianxin
331 Password required for Guojianxin.
Password:
230 User Guojianxin logged in.
ftp> quote site pswd "jackin" "guojianxin"
500 'SITE pswd jackin guojianxin': command not understood
ftp>​
what can I do ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot in advance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-the-password-of-ftp-user.539233/
Relevancy 43.86%

I've seen this several times now: an employee gets a computer, and has his or her name installed as the user, for example, Sarah. She logs in as Sarah, and her files are in \Documents and Settings\Sarah\ and so on. Sarah leaves and Joyce is hired. The name on the login is changed from Sarah to Joyce, which is all well and good, but the account name in the directory is still Sarah.

I'm sure there's a good way to do this, but I haven't come across it yet... probably I'm looking in the wrong places, but...

Anyone?

A:How To Change User Name Completely

You can't change it.The Documents & Settings folder, and the folders under it, are fixed at install time and can't be moved or renamed. It is possible to work around this with a little clever hacking (Microsoft has an article on how to do this), but in many cases it's not the wisest idea. If you install a program that expects these folders to be in their default locations and they're not, the program may not work correctly. (This is actually the fault of the program for assuming where things are instead of reading the proper pathnames from the registry, but you can never really tell when you're going to run into a badly-written program!) (Taken from HERE)The solution is to create a user account for Jane, then move everything from Sarah's files to Janes.Then delete Sarah's account.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/169883/how-to-change-user-name-completely/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi I'm having trouble with the following scenario I connected a workstations running Windows Please Name Help! Issue User Change XP -- XP Home to a XP User Name Change Issue -- Please Help! Server Windows Server I setup a user name on the server we'll say quot jondoe quot XP User Name Change Issue -- Please Help! At the workstation I changed the existing user XP User Name Change Issue -- Please Help! account name in control panel to match the server jondoe original user name was quot Owner quot typical for XP Home I also set matching passwords for jondoe on the server and workstation I then rebooted and logged in as jondoe on the workstation Normally I'd be able to access the server without additional popup windows or quot access denied quot errors if the workstation login password matches the server's login password for a given user HOWEVER this is not the case I either get additional login windows or quot access denied quot From what I can see the login name and or credentials being passed to the server is still quot Owner quot and NOT quot jondoe quot If I setup on the server an quot Owner quot account I connect fine But I can't use quot Owner quot I have other workstations to connect with quot Owner quot accounts Please help

A:XP User Name Change Issue -- Please Help!

dallas2828,

First, the problem with simply changing the local username on an XP PC is that this doesn't change the references to named folders in C:\Documents and Settings so you'll still be saving files to folders named with the previous username.

The right way to set up your environment would be to ADD your XP PC to your Server 2003 domain (i.e. create a computer account). Likewise, you should add a domain USER account on your server. In this scenario, you should be able to login to the DOMAIN rather than to a user account configured on your local PC.

Simply synching the usernames and passwords on both the server and workstation(s) only works if you're setting up a "Workgroup" environment - which is similar to setting up home networking between multiple XP or Vista clients on the same home network.

- John

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-user-name-change-issue-please-help-243171.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi all.

I have just bought my wife a new laptop and she wants to give her old, serviceable laptop to our son.

Rather than show her name on logon or add another user, l want to change the registered owner in system settings, add my son as an administrator user and delete my wife as a user.

However after adding my son as a user l cannot delete my wife's user profile, does not delete it.
Any ideas please? Windows XP Home service pack 2

Many thanks

A:Change registered user

Hi .Take a look, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783See the line about not being able to delete a user who is logged on, that may apply.Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/175282/change-registered-user/
Relevancy 43.86%

My ex set up my notebook for me which runs windows 7. He set himself as the administrator and me as a standard user. As he's no longer about how do I switch me to admin instead of him? And no he won't give me his password to do it (I've asked)

A:How do I change admin user?

Hello Princess, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Given your situation, I would recommend to reinstall Windows 7 by doing a factory recovery/restore since it's a notebook. This will give you a fresh start again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/248871-how-do-i-change-admin-user.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have changed the name of my only windwos 8.1 account, but the user folder has not changed and I can't figure out how to do it.

I tired to follow the instructions in this thread:

http://superuser.com/questions/495290/how-to-rename-user-folder-in-windows-8

but threre is no 'local users and group' icon in the computer management app.

so I tried to solve this by following the instructions in this thread:

http://www.kapilarya.com/fix-unable-to-get-local-users-groups-snap-in-in-windows-8-1

but I had the same problem as the guys in the comment section, I just got the message: “This snap-in may not be used with this edition of Windows 8.1. To manage user accounts for this computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel.”

As far as i can see there is no way to change the folder name in control pannel or on the properties tab of the file itself.

Any suggestions?

A:How to change name of user folder

Easiest way is to create a new account with the desired folder name.
Then copy the contents of the old user account to the new user account.
Set a System Restore point and backup your stuff first! (in case it decides that it objects to some of the changes)

If you want to be cautious, then just copy the data over (Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Music, Pictures, and Video - maybe the Desktop contents also)
Don't delete the old folder just yet - in case you need things from it.
Good luck!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579745/how-to-change-name-of-user-folder/
Relevancy 43.86%

I have a recent problem where when the computer comes back from automatic standby or change of user it sticks on a blank blue screen for about 5 minutes, then it goes to the user accounts and sticks there for about 5 minutes before I can log on or turn off the computer.

Any thoughts?

A:very slow change user

Try using Fast User Switching: Windows XP: Turn On Fast User Switching

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/very-slow-change-user-562736.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have set up my partners computer with two users - Admin User Default Change and one for her She has a habit of turning the computer on and going away for some time an hour or so while it boots up She tells me that sometimes when she gets back to the computer it has booted into the Admin user I Default User Change do not password protect that user I cannot understand how that happens except Default User Change I have noticed that this user is the default user Default User Change in that there is a box around it and just pressing Return takes it system into that user profile So my questions are Is it possible that after some time waiting for a user selection the machine adopts the 'default' user Everything I know suggests not Is there a way of changing the 'default' user It may be that she presses Return to turn the screen on after leaving it and by so doing selects the Admin user I realise I can password protect the Admin user and that would solve the problem but I would really like to understand what is going on

A:Default User Change

Hello John,

I suppose this could be from her being logged into the Admin account and put the PC to sleep. If it is from a cold boot, then she may have press Enter/Return at the right time to basically select the Admin account to log in to. The Admin account would be listed first by default since it's normally first alphabetically. Without a password, Windows would log right into it when selecting it.

One option would be to password protect the Admin account so that it cannot be logged in to by mistake. This would be the easiest option.

Another option would be to set Windows to require users to enter both a user name and password to log in instead of just selecting a user and entering that account's password. Log On with User Name and Password
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/302369-default-user-change.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I don't know if this is suppose to go in this forum, but I was wondering on how to change the name of my computer's user. I changed it in the profile part, but I still see the name "Ben", the previous owner, on most of the files and things.

see? I want to change that part. Does anyone know how? Thanks

A:Solved: Change the name of my user?

You need to make a User account with the name you want, copy all of your files form the old account to the new one. BUT, you will NOT be able to use the same name that you changed the old one to, with out renaming it to something else.

After a few days and you are sure that you have ALL of YOUR files and data, you can then delete the old user account and files.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-change-the-name-of-my-user.805919/
Relevancy 43.86%

Ok, I've read the threads on how to change who my puter is registered to by going into regedit, blah blah blah. Now, how do I change the "Documents and Settings" folder name when I search for the old registered name?

That may be confusing, here's an example:

-My puter was registered to "X and Y"
-I changed registered user to "X" by going into regedit
-When I search for "X and Y" on my puter, the "Documents and Settings folder" comes up and still shows "X and Y" as its name and I cannot change the name of that folder. How do I change the name of this folder?

Thanks,
PS

A:registered user change

Log on to the computer as an administrator.
Create a new folder.
Open the current "Documents and Settings" folder.
On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
Under Advanced settings click Show hidden files and folders, and then click to clear the Hide file extensions for known file types and Hide protected operating system files check boxes.
Click OK.
Click and drag to copy all the folders to the new folder, except for the currently logged on users folder.
In Control Panel, double-click System, and then click the User Profiles tab.
Copy the current user's profile to the new folder.
Click OK, close Control Panel, and then log off and log on to the computer as an administrator again.
In Registry Editor, click Find on the Edit menu.
Type documents and settings, and then click Find.
Replace the value data or rename the value or registry key to the new path for each and every registry key and value that contains the original path.

NOTE: You must complete this change for every instance in the registry or your computer may not start. It is imperative that you update all registry keys and values with the new path.

Restart the computer.
You can now safely remove the original "Documents and Settings" folder.

To be fair, It would probably be easier just to create a new user, and move any files and folders that you want to the new folder, and then delete the old user!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/registered-user-change.349432/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello first of all I have to say that all worked fine allowed user not XP sp3: change since this morning I haven t changed anything maybe it depends on one of the latest automatic update Before XP sp3: change user not allowed today when I clicked on change user start gt disconnect gt change user and chose another user xp would let me in the other account Now the account is loaded for a second and then I am sent to the initial screen XP sp3: change user not allowed again the one where all account are shown it s like XP won t allow more than one user desktop to be active at a time Another thing that I noticed is that there is no more indication of how many programs are running under a certain account before it would say quot x programs are running quot and quot y mail messages are waiting quot or such things Basically XP won t let me in other accounts unless I completely disconnect the first user How can I solve this Thanks nbsp