Windows Support Forum

New admin user acting differently than standard user changed to admin

Q: New admin user acting differently than standard user changed to admin

I have created two new user accounts. The first I set up as a standard account, logged on, did a few things, then logged off, logged on as my administrator account and editted the account to be an administrator. When I log back on as this account, it appears that the user still does not have administrator privileges even though under the user it says "Administrator". For example, the UAC control does not appear when you click on "Change User Account Control Settings". Also, trying to install software where the installer asks for admin privileges fails. However, the second account created started as an adminstrator account and exhibits neither of these problems.

I just haven't seen anything in posts about this and wonder what the difference is and if there is anything that "second class" administrator user can do to become a "first class" administrator.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: New admin user acting differently than standard user changed to admin

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: New admin user acting differently than standard user changed to admin

Quote:
For example, the UAC control does not appear when you click on "Change User Account Control Settings". Also, trying to install software where the installer asks for admin privileges fails.

Does UAC control display a confirmation question? this is the case for administrator accounts
Does UAC control ask for username/password? This is the case for standard accounts
Change the account back (just for testing) to standard account. Does it ask for username/password when changing system settings?
system built-in admin account has admin rights always
manually made account with admin rights has only admin rights after you allow it in the UAC control popup.
manually made account without admin rights has only admin rights after you allow it in the UAC control popup (enter a admin's username and password).
That's how it should work

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/203736-new-admin-user-acting-differently-than-standard-user-changed-admin.html
Relevancy 108.19%

My Win Vista PC was recently attacked by a virus thru internet browser which resulted in stange slow behavior with all CPU bandwith hogged I booted from BartPE prebuilder CD which I've used successfully before and ran McAfee stinger exe which came up clean I then booted standard permanently user. admin Vista changed login to from WinVista CD and did a system restore to a date before virus attack That was successful and PC booted up Vista admin login changed permanently to standard user. fine but now my account type has been changed from admin to standard user and the control panel users amp passwords utility won't let me change it back Vista admin login changed permanently to standard user. to admin My wireless network connection is dead and I believe it's blocked due to this issue I did these steps and got the responses shown Clicked start typed quot Command quot in the search box In the pop up looked for the Command Prompt Right click'd on that icon and selected Run as Administrator typed in quot cmd quot followed by quot enter quot In the DOS Window I entered the command and got the response shown C gt netsh winsock reset The requested operation requires elevation Vista admin login changed permanently to standard user. How can I get my Vista admin privileges and internet access back Wazoomr

A:Vista admin login changed permanently to standard user.

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/344082/vista-admin-login-changed-permanently-to-standard-user/
Relevancy 99.82%

I tried to google this and it seems neither is possible but I wanted to hear the truths from the horses mouth I have a Win Pro x computer with users who boths needs to be able this really is a must install software on the computer but they can't have access to each other's private folders user folder Basically I see theoretical options a make standard user accounts and give these accounts the right to install software Is this possible and if yes how b make admin user accounts and prevent them from accessing to each other's user folder I can user user or something prevent Installing standard an admin to rights do this but not in a way that doesn't mess with windows basically I would encrypt the Installing rights to standard user or prevent an admin user something file but then windows wouldn't be able to use the folder like it is built to use it and I'm pretty sure this would cause problems Is there another way to do this which doesn't cause problems with windows Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help

A:Installing rights to standard user or prevent an admin user something

a) This may be possible in theory but it would not be easy. Don't go there.
b) All administrators are equal. Any restrictions you impose can be undone by another.
The only practical way to do what you want is to encrypt the users folders. Windows doesn't care about user folders so that is not an issue.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/302090-installing-rights-standard-user-prevent-admin-user-something.html
Relevancy 97.96%

Hi does anyone know what happens if I mistakenly deleted a user account When I open my computer then right click on the quot This pc quot there is a option called quot Manage quot Then under manage there are user accounts I mistakenly deleted the quot Administrators quot group from my current account Only left is standard user group The admin account is password protected and I have the password Is it possible to log into the admin account and changed Accidentaly user account account to admin standard change promote back my current account I did try to right click quot manage quot but I get this window attached file with no place to put the password That is slightly annoying I was trying to reassign myself back in the admin group I was thinking of making an account which can modify all items such adding hardware and items under quot Device manager quot etc but just limit to not being able to just make a new admin full access account Seems that deleting the admin solves the Accidentaly changed admin account to standard user account not being able to make a new account but in the process I'm locked out from the admin settings Is it possible to create a super-user account just limiting not being able to make new user accounts and have access to all such as device manager It would be nice to not have to log into admin account just to check newly installed hardware Currently on standard user I am unable to go to quot device manager quot and other admin based stuff with that admin shield logo Thanks

A:Accidentaly changed admin account to standard user account

From desktop, hold CTRL+ALT then press DEL keyClick on Switch UserType: Administrator and enter the passwordOnce you are in, Win+X->Command Prompt(Admin)Type: net localgroup administrators username /add <======== replace username with your namesign out and sign back in with your name.

NOTE: In step 3, I Assume that you have the built in Admin turned on and you said you have the password.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/47233-accidentaly-changed-admin-account-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 93.31%

Thank you!

I am admin ( WIN 7 Pro 64 computer 4 years old): In admin user default account, any and ALL open, and .exe functions denied.

CMD right click 'run as admin' (net user admin etc.) has no effect. Checking all folders I show FULL permission. Right click 'run as admin' has no effect on any file.

Created new USER with ADMIN functions and all works in that account.

Q: How can I trouble shoot my normal ADMIN account (it has all of my 1000s of folders, programs etc.)
Q: Or how can I transfer all of my doc to my new user internally? (Without backup to external drive etc)

This happened after a Microsoft standard update weeks ago. I tried restore, but restore fails. By now I have done much on the computer and restore not an option.
I have not been able to open or run any program files.

Any help I would be grateful!

TF

A:Admin User Error5. CMD solutions failed. New User with ADMIN works

Wow. 2 days and not a single suggestion or reply?

Is this a really a simple common error? Is that why no replies? Or is there no help for it?

I searched the forums for hours over 2 days reading multiple posts and possible solutions and came up empty. Nothing applicable to my situation.

I have tried:
1. System restore. It always fails, even in SAFE mode or REPAIR mode.
2. Run as administrator (Both from right click and from CMD)
3. Sharing all folders (Although this ADMIN account has all privileges/permissions as it is anyway)
This created a 2nd ADMIN account. Don't know why.
4. Reset all privileges back to default settings.

Have not tried to re-install windows as I don't have a copy of Win 7. Plus I would like to avoid the reality of reinstalling so many programs and files.

Right now when the Original Admin user tries to run a .exe, I get a "Setup was unable to create the directory "...etc..." Error 5 access denied.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. It would at least get me moving trying some things. Thank you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/302806-admin-user-error5-cmd-solutions-failed-new-user-admin-works.html
Relevancy 93%

hey everyone
there is only one standard user in my laptop (win8) and no administrator .
i cant access to anything such as : user account control , device manager , ... and even i cant install any app and it just keep saying : insert a smart card .
I've no smart card and anything like that .

A:there is no admin user - just standard

Find the tutorial that gives how to turn on the built-in administrator account. I'm not home, not on computer long enough to hunt for it.

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

Once inside the admin acct, maybe create an admin acct for your use, keeping the standard acct as is. Then, as needed, you can switch between your admin-level acct and std acct.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/62123-there-no-admin-user-just-standard.html
Relevancy 93%

Ok. My dad put a password on my main administrator and I accidently hit "Run as administrator" for one of my games. I made a standard account before he put as password on dunno why I did standard. Anyway now it requires a password for me to play the game. Is there a way I can change the standard account I am on now to admin so I can play?

A:Standard User to Admin

Welcome
I think that it would be the policy of the Forum to ask your Dad for the password. I am sure that you will appreciate this one day, when you are older, and have Children of your own.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/129563-standard-user-admin.html
Relevancy 92.07%

I'm setting up a stolen laptop tracking software and want to leave a standard/non-admin user account open for a potential thief. The software requires someone to log in and connect to the internet in order to start tracking. So if I only have my personal admin account password protected, I will be out of luck. The problem is that while logged in as a standard user I am able to access recovery options. From there I can use advance startup and proceed to reset my pc. If a thief logs in and resets my pc right away, I will have no way of tracking them. I have windows 8.1 standard and have not been able to find any way from restricting access to the recovery options.

A:Non-Admin Standard User Able to Reset PC

If a potential thief has enough knowledge about computers, there's nothing you can do to stop it. You can make it harder for them to crack into the system such as put in a supervisory password in the BIOS so that before booting into Windows environment, you must enter the supervisory password. However, this password can also be cleared by using a jumper on the mother board.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/50705-non-admin-standard-user-able-reset-pc.html
Relevancy 92.07%

error code 80072efd. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks This all I get. Windows Update error 80072efd

A:Can only use update thru Admin not thru Standard user.

In general this means that the MS serves are busy and cannot send requests. I see no correlation between the code and the administrative account problem
Windows Update error 80072efd As you have already read.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/123975-can-only-use-update-thru-admin-not-thru-standard-user.html
Relevancy 92.07%

I am fairly new to most admin techniques but i know you can run an application like cmd exe as an administrator while the standard user is still signed into their account Im just not sure how you do this i have tried right clicking and running as on standard using credentials a Admin user an admin but it never prompts me to enter the Admin credentials So to clarify with an example if i have a user as standard user and i want using Admin credentials on a standard user to quickly be able to delete a file from the windows system folder by keeping the current standard user still signed in how do i do this I was under the impression that if i try to use quot run as administrator quot it would then prompt me to put in my Admin credentials but it does not windows bit on a workgroup domain some of the employees i have had edited some windows files they shouldn't have so in order to prevent them from continuing to do so i made them all standard users but now i dont know how to use my admin account without having them sign out and then having to sign in with the admin account

A:using Admin credentials on a standard user

Use runas from the command line. Otherwise you need UAC active.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/328550-using-admin-credentials-standard-user.html
Relevancy 92.07%

Why I see different UAC slide bar for admin and Standard user ? When I log-in with Local built in admin user the UAC slider is set to: Notify only when program try to make changes to my computer (and do not dim my desktop). Don't notify when I make changes
to windows settings.

While for Standard user (logged in with Standard user and then accessed UAC console by entering local admin credentials) it is set to: Always notify me (and do not dim my desktop) - Programs try to install or make changes to my computer. I make changes to
windows settings.

Can someone suggest whether the UAC slide bar setting should be same for all users (machine wide) ?

Amit

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/923832db-9170-40d0-add7-a86f3fc506e8/why-i-see-different-uac-slide-bar-for-admin-and-standard-user-?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 92.07%

Why I see different UAC slide bar for admin and Standard user When I log-in with Local built in admin user the UAC slider is set to Notify only when program try to make changes to my computer and do not dim my desktop Don't notify when I make changes to windows settings Snapshot of UAC slide bar for When see Standard user ? and admin UAC for Why slide bar different I logged in with Local admin to windows as below While for Standard user logged in with Standard user and then accessed UAC console by entering local admin credentials it is set to Always notify me and do not dim my desktop - Programs try to install Why I see different UAC slide bar for admin and Standard user ? or make changes to my computer I make changes to windows settings Snapshot of UAC slide bar when logged in to windows with Standard domain user and accessed UAC console by running local admin credentials as prompted by UAC Can someone suggest whether the UAC slide bar Why I see different UAC slide bar for admin and Standard user ? setting should be same for all users machine wide Amit Amit R Loya

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/51328d3e-4e2c-49c1-b60b-70046cd47138/why-i-see-different-uac-slide-bar-for-admin-and-standard-user-?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 92.07%

Actually the domain user restricted from the server, that user doesn't have any desktop background setting access.if i have local client administrator previlleges can i able to change the that domain user desktop background settings.

pls help me on this?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-previlleges-to-standard-user.988361/
Relevancy 91.14%

I need to bypass my admin password but I only have access to my standard account. I've watched YouTube videos and read forums but they all use another admin account to bypass their main admin where as I do not have another admin. I cannot use cmd because it says access is denied due to the fact that it's only a standard account. I can't download any third party software because I'll have to fill in my admin password. And don't not wish to purchase a disc. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME.

A:Bypass admin password with standard user

Hi and welcome to the Forum.
Your post begs the question of why can you not just login with your Admin Account? Why do you need to bypass it? Where are you downloading third party software from?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/396902-bypass-admin-password-standard-user.html
Relevancy 91.14%

I have 2 accounts on my Vista x64 installation, 1 Admin and 1 Standard User.

In Windows Explorer, the Standard User is unable to browse to the folders belonging to the Admin User (e.g C:\Users\Admin). Fine.

But.... if the Standard User uses the Search field in Windows Explorer, and chooses "Search in SubFolders", files from the whole system (which meet the search criteria) are displayed, and the Standard User can open them. This is surely a bug right?

I scratched my head wondering how my 5 year old how had managed to get my CV from my private folder to his Desktop, until I realised how he was doing it

Try it, and see if you have the same problem, and better still, post a solution if you have one.

Cheers

Adrian

A:Standard User can see Admin's private files

Type this command into the command prompt (elevated)

Icacls C:\users\admin\* /deny (username of user who is not supposed to access files):F

That should deny that user access to the files.

I think it was because you did not set him to either grant ot deny so the computer for some reason let him access them. Looks like a bug. However, if you execute that command above he will be explicitly denied access to the files.

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/182780-standard-user-can-see-admins-private-files.html
Relevancy 91.14%

Hi i would like to know is it possible Run a particular program without UAC, I am in a situation where a program for datacard always prompts for UAC to allow connection to internet, It works when i log into admin account. But the program always asks for UAC when run from User account,

I tried creating a schedule task for starting the program from Admin account and created a shortcut for the program.

But when i run the shortcut from user account(standard) it says access denied,

System is Windows 8.1

any help on how to disable UAC for standard user for particular program will help a lot,

Thanks,

A:Admin access from standard user for particular program

You could probably check the properties of the datacard and select it to "always run in admin mode", like you can for software.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/admin-access-from-standard-user-for-particular-program-993418.html
Relevancy 91.14%

Hi
I'm working on a .NET app and I need to test this up as standard user. I am running as admin right now and I really don't wanna create a new standard account just to test this using "Run as different user" option. Any way to accomplish this?

A:Run application as standard user while logged in as admin

Quote: Originally Posted by daydr3am3r

Hi
I'm working on a .NET app and I need to test this up as standard user. I am running as admin right now and I really don't wanna create a new standard account just to test this using "Run as different user" option. Any way to accomplish this?

Daydr, I would not recommend this as it could give you the wrong action as the system would remember that your an admin.

You can create a standard account and then remove it later.

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/209903-run-application-standard-user-while-logged-admin.html
Relevancy 91.14%

Hi
I have a stand alone computer in a work group,
I am looking for some windows script that will let me to
add a non-admin user(Standard User) to admin group from within Standard User
logon session.

Any help will be greately appriciated

Thanks
Sai

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-standard-user-to-admin-group.338221/
Relevancy 91.14%

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate - and I've noticed that from a secondary standard account, users can access the admin's files (my files) from simply going into C:/users/xxx... or by accessing them from windows search.

I want to prevent this from happening - I've tried preventing access to my user folder, but it is still accessible from another account. Scouring Google hasn't brought me results either Can anyone help resolve this problem?

A:Standard User Can Access Admin's Files

have you given admin rights to the User account in qestion?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/114523-standard-user-can-access-admins-files.html
Relevancy 91.14%

Hello,

I've just cleaned up a massive malware infection on my grandson's computer (HP Pavilion notebook) and upgraded it to Win 10 from its native Win 8. His account is a standard user vs admin. Everything's working fine. EXCEPT, he plays an online game which requires an admin password to boot. What I'm trying to do is create access to the program without having to log him in every time. The command I'm trying to implement is:

runas /user:ComputerName\Username /savecred "C:\path\to\file.exe"

Of course I swapped out the real computer name and user name, and I've tried working with the existing shortcut pinned to the taskbar, so I know I've got the correct file path. I've also tried creating a brand new shortcut, but I can't get the program to boot. Perhaps Win 10 doesn't allow a runas command for a standard user.

Is there another way - that isn't too complicated - to do this?

A:shortcut w/admin privileges for standard user

Hello 3point1,

You would need to use the credentials of the built-in Administrator account instead for that command to work.

Elevated Program Shortcut - Create for Standard User - Windows 7 Help Forums

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/56120-shortcut-w-admin-privileges-standard-user.html
Relevancy 90.21%

I have a file to clear the print spooler when it has an error I based this file on Brinks tutorial Thanks Brink I placed this file in C windows system folder so all users user when using PW command Standard admin requires elevated would have access The file must be run in a Standard user requires admin PW when using elevated command elevated cmd window I then Standard user requires admin PW when using elevated command created a shortcut to the file and put the shortcut in each users Maintenance folder so they could clear the print Q when needed In each shortcut I put a check in ADVANCED RUN AS ADMIN so the elevated command would be uised when clearing the print Q When the shortcut is used to clear the print Q it works fine in the ADMIN user account all the ADMIN has to do is answer quot YES quot to the UAC But the standard users must input the ADMIN PW at the UAC Obviously I don't want them to have the PW Is there a way for me hard code the PW into either of the files the batch file or the shortcut so that the standard user doesn't have to insert the ADMIN PW

A:Standard user requires admin PW when using elevated command

What if you change the properties of the file in system32 to run as admin, rather than the link in each profile?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/324198-standard-user-requires-admin-pw-when-using-elevated-command.html
Relevancy 90.21%

Hi there I have accounts on my Vista Home Premium machine One is an admin account with password and the other is a standard account without password UAC off I have multiple internal hard drives some replace folder standard ownership admin? able is to with user Why of which has folders Why is standard user able to replace folder ownership with admin? that I want only my admin account to access I have denied all permissions for the standard account to these folders When I login as the standard user and try to open these same folders I get a pop up message saying that I don't have permission to access them and to click continue for access Then I get a second message saying the same thing but there is a clickable link at the bottom to the quot security tab quot and it's suggesting to use to gain access Once I click on that I get another quot You don't have permission to change security setting quot message in the folder properties window under the security tab At the bottom of that window it's also suggesting to click on the quot Advanced quot button for special permissions which will lead to taking the ownership from the admin account under the quot Owner quot tab by clicking quot Edit quot thus allowing full access to the contents of those folders Does that make sense to anyone I also noticed that the standard account has the ability to change the type to an administrator account from User Accounts in Control panel is that normal

A:Why is standard user able to replace folder ownership with admin?

Originally Posted by ossimo

Hi there,
I have 2 accounts on my Vista Home Premium machine. One is an admin account with password and the other is a standard account without password (UAC off). I have multiple internal hard drives some of which has folders that I want only my admin account to access. I have denied all permissions for the standard account to these folders.
When I login as the standard user and try to open these same folders I get a pop up message saying that I don't have permission to access them and to click ?continue? for access. Then I get a second message saying the same thing but there is a clickable link at the bottom to the "security tab" and it's suggesting to use to gain access. Once I click on that I get another "You don't have permission to change security setting" message in the folder properties window under the security tab. At the bottom of that window it's also suggesting to click on the "Advanced" button for special permissions which will lead to taking the ownership from the admin account under the "Owner" tab by clicking "Edit", thus allowing full access to the contents of those folders.
Does that make sense to anyone?
I also noticed that the standard account has the ability to change the type to an administrator account from ?User Accounts? in Control panel, is that normal?

U need to check in your user rights management.

go to control panel>classic view>administrative tools>local security policy>local policies>user rights assignment the you will be able to find take ownership...... There u can restrict permission for the standard user

and for changing the account type, Do u mean that a standard user can downgrade the administrator into standard user? or reset password of administrator?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/239635-why-standard-user-able-replace-folder-ownership-admin.html
Relevancy 90.21%

Hi,

I apologize if this is a duplicate or anything. I need to find a way to allow a standard user to execute a program that requires administrative access. I have attempted to set the program in compatibility to run as administrator but this has no effect on the standard user. For this program to execute it will still prompt them for an admin login before it opens.

This entire issue is negated if I make the user a local administrator but this isn't a long term solution I want to be using. Is there a way to keep UAC turned on but to allow the program to run for specific users? I'm open to any suggestions that do not compromise local security and appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you,

A:How to disable UAC password prompt for Standard User without admin?

Welcome to SevenForums McServer!

Take a look at this tutorial by Brink. Is this what you want to do?

Elevated Program Shortcut - Create for Standard User

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/215715-how-disable-uac-password-prompt-standard-user-without-admin.html
Relevancy 90.21%

In Windows Vista, when I try to execute a program from a standard user account that requires the admin password, it says the password is incorrect. It is the correct password because using the same password, I can log in to the Admin account.

Can someone help?

A:Standard user account will not accept Admin password

Welcome
Lets first make sure that the problem is not worse than it seems
Run an sfc check
System Files - SFC Command
Make a full anti virus scan
Download and run a full scan with malwarebytes.
If all are negative
Open another user account and see if the problem persisits, it may be corruption in one account.

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/291426-standard-user-account-will-not-accept-admin-password.html
Relevancy 90.21%

Hello-
my son, set up as a standard user
plays a game on my Vista box (32 bit Ultimate) called FIFA Online 2.
It will only run if you right click the shortcut and select "run as administrator" -
at which point he enters my credentials (his father - the Administrator).

(This requirement for ADMIN mode is documented on the game's website)

Problem is, once he knows my password, he can now do anything he likes.
He might as well be an Admin.

How can I set things up so that he is is not able to elevate his privilege
to Administrator, except for just this one game.

It must be possible; I've been reading up on UAC, but so far I don't see how
to do it.

Perhaps I'm going about it the wrong way? Thanks for any info.
Dave

A:standard user needs Admin security context for one game

Dave
Magons Lius suggestion may work (using cmd prompt)
Let us know so we all can learn
Open a CMD prompt and type

runas /?

then hit the <Enter> key. What you are looking for is the use of the runas
command in combination with its /user and /savecred switches. You create a
shortcut to the application you want to run with admin credentials, but the
shortcut invokes the application through runas instead of directly.

The first time you launch the software in the end user's account using that
shortcut you will be prompted for a password. You supply the password that
one time. From then on the shortcut uses the stored credentials you gave it.

Best Regards
Magon Liu
MS technet

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/294913-standard-user-needs-admin-security-context-one-game.html
Relevancy 90.21%

So I'm logged in as a standard user and at start up I have to type in 15 admin passwords just to get the things running on the computer. Especially Asus AI Suite II. But I was just wondering is there a way to get that program to stop asking for all the passwords? I do use it ALOT and the program has saved my behind a couple times when I overclocked to high one time. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

A:Standard User account and the barage of Admin passwords

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoib

We have liftoff!!!

I uninstalled everything. Logged in as the standard user. Hit the install package. It begged me for the admin - I responded. Install completed successfully. I went to the shortcut and took ownership of the referenced folder after providing again, the admin password. In the prop panel, the ownership was listed as "\\....Administrator" - and I reassigned ownership to the standard user, HA017. I closed out and rebooted.

Bingo! Standard user now has direct privs into the application - no admin password prompt.

BTW, before I got to this point of uninstall and reinstall, I did try the AppLocker secpol snap in as you suggested. When I called in the default "Path" item, It already populated HA017 as having "Allow" rights along with the Administrators Group and Administrators. With the standard user, this still failed. I went and added the "Everyone" object to "Allow" and tried the standard user. Did not work again.

So, happily, we're back in business and we didn't have to sacrifice security for functionality.

H

Would the above really work???

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/367402-standard-user-account-barage-admin-passwords.html
Relevancy 90.21%

Hello,
Guys, I've been using an admin account till now for my customization needs and registry tweaks as i got annoyed by frequent pop-ups and permission thingy. Well, now it's all set to my needs.
Now, i'm thinking to convert my admin account into standard one.
Well, i know i can always create another admin account, log in to that account and convert my account into standard account.
I just wanted to know is there any chances of getting something like my profile getting messed up and losing my all hard work made to customize it to my needs.
Is their any other way of doing it? Or this method is itself the safest way? Also, how do i backup my user profile and it's settings aka configuration to restore if something goes wrong?
Sorry for so many noobvious questions as I've had never felt in need of it before.

A:Converting admin acc. to standard acc. & backing up user profile

Hello Ezio,

You will have to have at least one administrator account created on your computer at all times. If you did not want to use it for everyday use anymore, then it would be best to password protect it (if not already) and use the standard account instead. If you did not have an administrator account, then you would not be able to install programs or be able to make any changes that affect the system and other users.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/132615-converting-admin-acc-standard-acc-backing-up-user-profile.html
Relevancy 90.21%

and now I'm stuck. I cant install some programs or drivers because the Admin user is disable.

How I did it?
I changed my user in the "control panel"to a "Standart User" and I used the "Local users and groups" to disable the Administrator account. How can I now get administration?

A:I made my user to be a Standard Users but admin disable

Hello Jiddisch, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Usually when you do not have an administrator account available to log in with, you can boot into Safe Mode through the Advanced Boot Options screen to use the built-in Administrator account to then change your account back to an administrator account type instead.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/7008-i-made-my-user-standard-users-but-admin-disable.html
Relevancy 90.21%

Hi!
I have few computers, all running win7 home premium 64bit WITH SERVICE PACK 1 !
Unfortunately only some of them gives me the option to type administrator password when I'm trying to change configuration/install applications and such.

I'm not sure what is the different between these computers, maybe I'm missing something.

Please help me find how to enable this option on the other computers, It is really handy for me.

Thanks!

A:Pop-up to type Admin password when login to a Standard user

Is this what you are looking for?

UAC - Require a Password for Administrator

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/160894-pop-up-type-admin-password-when-login-standard-user.html
Relevancy 90.21%

Hi,
We have installed a SmartMusic program for my son's Trumpet practice.

However, it runs on his user login, only if I grant him admin rights.

I do not want to grant him admin rights to the laptop, but cannot find any way to grant just that particular program to run as admin on his login...

Can someone help? Its a Vista Home version of Windows...

A:Admin rights for a single program to standard user

Welcome
You can give this a try and hope. The run as adminstrtor feature was put there by the software and not Vista.
You can turn off the UAC
User Account Control (UAC)

Then right click on the software, probably properties, then advanced (or compatibility tab). In Compatibility or advanced tab. check run as administrator
Let me know how that works.

When you right click on the software, type in the software name in the search function by stat button, and then right click when it pops up. Do not click on any shortucuts.

For smart music rather than advanced, it might be under compatiblity tab.

If you do disable UAC, all Administrator users must exercise caution. The UAC is a warning that changes will be made to the system and not just to user account

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/287111-admin-rights-single-program-standard-user.html
Relevancy 90.21%

My friend recently bought a new Windows 8 laptop which she set up in her name and therefore has a passworded Admin account. I also partitioned the HD so that the smaller portion (C) contains the OS and the larger portion (D) is for all her files.

Since I am only using the laptop temporarily my passworded 'standard' user account is located in (C) and cannot be viewed by anybody else, however, I can view my friend's files which are now being stored in 'D'.

Is there a way to protect the files in the 'D' partition in the same manner as if all accounts were on one drive and password protected?

Tom.

A:Windows 8 admin/standard user access issues

It's in the NTFS permissions - - ever look / change those?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-8-admin-standard-user-access-issues.189297/
Relevancy 89.28%

We have several machines here where a standard login is used for test subjects to run the MATLAB application however the application needs to be run as an administrator I am not willing to include the admin credentials in the shortcut to launch but I did find an alternative that seems promising - however there seems to be something missing For reference this is my source nbsp http superuser com questions runas-savecred-ask-for-password-if-another-user-runs-the-same-batch-file Attempt nbsp I logged onto the computer as a standard test user I launched Task Scheduler and created a new task with the following settings Security Options - I used my own administrative user account here and set to quot Run whether user Application Scheduler) Task User Standard Admin Running As (using for is logged on or not quot I checked the box for Run with highest privileges and then Configure for Windows etc On the Actions tab I created a new action Running Application As Admin for Standard User (using Task Scheduler) to Start a Program and chose the executable for that problem for my test I chose the CMD EXE file since I could easily see if it worked if it showed as Administrative User nbsp Finally under Settings I made sure to check Allow Task to be Run on Demand and quot Do not start a new instance quot When I attempted to save this task it brought my username up as it should but it did not accept my password Instead it told me that quot either the user name is incorrect the password is incorrect or the account does not have permission quot nbsp Which is not true It was my assumption that since I was logged in as a standard user and hence the Author was a standard user account that's where the problem lay nbsp Attempt - nbsp I logged onto the computer as myself a local admin I launched Task Scheduler and created a new task with the following settings Security Options - Again I used my own administrative user account here and set to quot Run whether user is logged on or not quot I checked the box for Run with highest privileges and then Configure for Windows etc On the Actions tab I created a new action to Start a Program and chose the executable for that problem for my test I chose the CMD EXE file since I could easily see if it worked if it showed as Administrative User nbsp Finally under Settings I made sure to check Allow Task to be Run on Demand and quot Do not start a new instance quot When I attempted to save this task it brought my username up as it should and it did accept my password All looked good I then logged out and back on as the standard user and I created a shortcut on the desktop which would run this particular task When I ran the task the command prompt window flashed and disappeared It is my assumption that this is because the task is being run with elevated token but the standard user cannot see it as a result not unlike the UAC issue that plagued login scripts in a similar way Attempt - nbsp I remained logged onto the computer as a standard test user I launched Task Scheduler but this time I ran Task Scheduler as Administrator authenticating with my own account and created a new task with the following settings Security Options - I used my own administrative user account here and set to quot Run whether user is logged on or not quot I checked the box for Run with highest privileges and then Configure for Windows etc On the Actions tab I created a new action to Start a Program and chose the executable for that problem for my test I chose the CMD EXE file since I could easily see if it worked if it showed as Administrative User nbsp Finally under Settings I made sure to check Allow Task to be Run on Demand and quot Do not start a new instance quot When I attempted to save this task it brought my username up as it should and it did accept my password All looked good Since I was still logged on as the standard user I created a shortcut on the desktop which would run this particular task When I ran the task the command prompt w... Read more

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/08db46f1-2335-4e3d-9053-bcd38ad6dbef/running-application-as-admin-for-standard-user-using-task-scheduler?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 89.28%

Here's my scenario nbsp I have a Windows Pro x SP machine setup for standalone use nbsp I am using local group policy to lock down many settings nbsp I have accounts in the local administrators group admin accounts nbsp The real administrator is disabled nbsp Here's what's happening nbsp after of standard accounts local admin creation All disabled are user If I create a new standard user from the control panel all admin accounts get disabled immediately nbsp I checked the admin accounts settings before and after the new user is created and the disabled checkmark appeared during the process nbsp Now when I create a new user using the computer management console vs the control panel it works fine nbsp The difference is that in the computer management console you must set a password at the time of account creation vs in the control panel you create an account with no password nbsp So my guess is that somewhere in my group policy it doesn't like an account being created without a password but why would that disable all administrator accounts nbsp Has anyone else experienced this

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f6ef0d01-0f76-4341-b3eb-30ec6bef88d4/all-local-admin-accounts-are-disabled-after-creation-of-standard-user?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 89.28%

Hi everyone first post here and first time here as well Thank you I am trying to quot lock down quot standard user accounts from being able to use the control panel sop they cannot change settings on a shared work computer I created the account and went into grpedit msc and quot enabled quot the lockout out user admin too..HELP! control standard from Blcok locking panel control panel option don't remember exact verbiage and when I restarted the computer All the accounts were locked from the control panel So I quot unhid quot the main Administrator account and tried with it Blcok standard user from control panel locking admin out too..HELP! and it was also locked out The only way I could fix this issue was to get back into grpedit msc and undo the option to hide So now Id like to know how I can do this Basically the business owner wants to just block certain stuff from quot public users quot so they cant install uninstall or get into settings etc etc Maybe there is a better way of doing this Can anyone shed some ideas or provide alternative options the customer wants it simple and non confusing as possible small business nothing fancy Thank you so much for any help you can provide

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/42184-blcok-standard-user-control-panel-locking-admin-out-too-help.html
Relevancy 89.28%

I created a Win 10 Pro computer user as a standard user when connecting computer to the domain.  However, the office main business program, the antivirus program, and even Outlook will not run unless I click "Run as Administrator" and use
my admin credentials.
* the user account was previously created on the Server 2012R2
How can I elevate this user to admin?  I really don't care what they do with this computer.  Just need these 3 things to run all the time.
Thanks,
Darryl

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7d3e09c8-5cfb-4e1c-9b2b-0dd67ea31c3c/server-2012r2-win-10-pro-desktop-change-standard-user-to-admin?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 89.28%

Our users are standard users on their PCs. There is one program that is asking for a username and password with administrator rights.
I know of the shortcut method using runas /savecred /user:administrator, but this is not a good idea.
I tried the scheduled task / shortcut  method "schtasks /run /tn "taskname", but this doesn't work.  The GUI is launched in the administrator session and is not even visible to the user.
How can I allow a standard user to run this program without him having to enter admin credentials or without making him a member of the local administrator group on the PC?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d731a96f-f479-49ee-bcda-43eadc55a25a/how-can-a-standard-user-account-run-a-program-without-supplying-admin-credentials?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 89.28%

My company has recently purchased internet filtering and in tasks standard created Running user accounts admin monitoring software which requires admin access to run I am trying to create Running admin created tasks in standard user accounts a scheduled task from the task scheduler which runs the software as an admin any time any non-admin user logs on However no matter how I configure the task it never runs on any account other than the admin account I have tried to configure the task to be run as the admin account as well as the system account Under the general tab I have the option selected to quot Run whether user is logged on or not quot I also have the quot Run with highest privileges quot option checked It is set to configure for Windows Under the triggers tab I have the trigger set to run the task quot At log on quot for the Student user I have at this screen also tried settings for the quot Any User quot option The action is set to start the filtering program I have not had any success in getting the task to run when the Student user logs into the pc I would greatly appreciate any help with this issue Thanks

A:Running admin created tasks in standard user accounts

Why don't you run the program as a system service? The program is kind of a system task... isn't it?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/327885-running-admin-created-tasks-standard-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 88.04%

Hello staff and getting admin Changing user...and to stay changed. it all others I know you probably answered this somewhere but humor me please Besides I keep reading that what works for some pcs won t work for others Recently my employer gave Changing admin user...and getting it to stay changed. me a pc when we transitioned to home-office work hours and told me it was ok to customize it as it would be mine from now on Here s the problem It s an old IBM Thinkcentre with win xp pro installed pentium with svc pk III i believe The log-on screen has a box where my boss s name and pw come up and all i have to do is click to get on I ve tried repeadedly to change HIS name to MINE as the admin Changing admin user...and getting it to stay changed. user account but it keeps reverting back Changing admin user...and getting it to stay changed. to his I followed the directions to fix this which for I searched and found on another tech site sorry tech guy which was supposed to be done but that didn t happen or I woudn t be writing this Despite being given three different access points on the pc in order to get this task done it continues to boot up with HIS name and HIS password automatically configuered I don t want to lose all access to this pc so I m trying to be careful here Oh yeaah I ve heard nightmarish stories of folks who changed admin priveledges parent child rights amp permissions and user groups and network access blah blah and suffered horrendous complications afterward Like me they didn t jack and didn t bother to ask anyone With all that said can some one anyone everyone provide a step by step guide to help me into customizing this pc for my very own I m sick of seeing his the boss s name come up on all the temporary files and cleaning scans IT S MINE NOW Please include any all precautionary steps like back-up restore point safe mode entry or otherwise helpful steps ok I dont have an external back-up source and personally I think its stupid anyway to put the whole pc s files on line somewhere One other note His antivirus amp his windows software programs all were installed from discs that he bought which means I won t even have access to those programs once we do this admin thing or is that not something to be worried about at all PS I m pretty familiar with my own DELL and HP pcs with both home edition installed on one and pro on the other but again this IBM has all kinds of stuff on it with a harddrive capacity of gigs total and I don t know what to delete and what to save as I don t need hardly any of it including the antivirus and if necessary the windows suite of programs Any suggestions of what to do with all the files let me know PSS no tsg guide was submitted posted as I m not writing to you while on that pc gc nbsp

A:Changing admin user...and getting it to stay changed.

The best thing to do is to create a new admin account and then copy the profile from the old one to your new one. Then you can delete his account completely. Changing its name will prove to be an endless job with side-effects.

How To Copy A User Profile

Once copied over, the new account should look and act just like the old one with the new name. Registered and installed programs, either for the machine or just the specific user, should all work as before.

Always have a full system backup, as recent as possible. It's also a good idea to make a full backup when you first get the machine, and possibly save it on DVD, so that you can restore everything when the hard drive fails.

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving - backups can be created on a second hard drive, internal or external, or on DVD's, or BluRay disks. One BluRay disk will hold most peoples' entire system drive's backup at 25 GB's using compressed images, 50 GB's double-layer):

Paragon Backup & Recovery 2012 (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
Macrium Reflect (Free)
O&O Disk Image Express or (mirror)
Easeus Todo Backup
Acronis True Image For WD (reduced, free version for WD drives - cloning and imaging)
Acronis True Image For Seagate (DiscWizard) (reduced, free version for Seagate drives - cloning and imaging)
ODIN (open-source)
Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
Drive Image XML
PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
Partition Saving
Clonezilla
Passmark OSFClone (Bootable, cloning only)
ImageX and GImageX (Geekware. Small images due to "single instancing" and allows partial, selected restore of image parts. Used by Microsoft to apply disk image to drive during "installation" of Windows 7.)

There are also many commercial products with more features.

A restore point is a good thing to make before any major change. But remember that it only restores the "system", i.e., the registry and Windows files. It won't undo most other changes.

I have attached a script in a zip archive that creates an instant restore point when clicked. A box will ask for a name and then create the point. It's a handy thing to keep on the desktop, and serves as a reminder, too.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-admin-user-and-getting-it-to-stay-changed.1057375/
Relevancy 88.04%

Hi everyone,
recently I took the trouble to convert my XP account from admin to restricted user to avoid rootkit problems etc.

It created a hell of a lot of problems of which most I could solve by myself but some not, e.g. this one:

as a backup measure I used to copy my active data by xcopy to another physical HDD . - it worked like a charm.

now the same batch says: no access rights (to the folders on my backup drive)
but I haven't changed the username (just the rights the user has) so the files should still be accessible by me or what?

how do I get access to them short of converting the drive to fat32?

thanx

-sam

A:Changed from Admin to limited user - no access

If this is just a local PC that is not on a network you are going way overboard. Changing the admin account to a restricted user does just that, restricts access to most areas on the compute, including certain file system access. You would be better served by changing the admin account name and giving it a strong password .

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changed-from-admin-to-limited-user-no-access.427184/
Relevancy 87.42%

Hi,
I have been looking for this answer for 2 days and can not find anyone who has had similair problem.

THere are 2 accounts Administrator and Kenmystro/administrator. I have the password for both and can access both. win 7 Ultimate Hp8510.
I have already selected all user permissions and taken ownership in every box I could find for Kenmystro/admin. the UAC is at minimum and the security centre is off. Run as admin on right click does not help.
It does not matter which of the 2 accounts I log into when I try install certain HP software(Maintenance
& some drivers) it says I do not have admin privileges.

This is driving me nuts can anyone help??

Relevancy 87.42%

So we have a fixed drive as its a dual drives in a HP when encrypting the second drive and testing unlocking with a standard user name it prompts for admin rights after entering the bitlocker password What can be done on group policy end to stop that from happening I don't want to have it auto lock beats the purpose of encryption security Best regards lt br gt lt br gt lt strong gt Joe C lt br gt lt strong gt Partner Online Technical Community lt br gt ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- lt br second on Unlocking account prompts user bitlocked rights standard a drive for Admin gt We hope you get value from our new forums platform Tell us what you think lt br gt lt a href quot http social microsoft com Forums en-US partnerfdbk threads quot gt lt span style quot color cc quot gt http social microsoft com Forums en-US partnerfdbk threads lt br gt lt span gt lt a gt ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ lt br gt This posting is provided amp Unlocking a second bitlocked drive prompts for Admin rights on standard user account quot AS IS amp quot with no warranties and confers no rights lt hr gt

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e15fcd6c-f5d6-4a01-9c05-0a7319948e08/unlocking-a-second-bitlocked-drive-prompts-for-admin-rights-on-standard-user-account?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 87.11%

I only have one account on my recently installed Windows and accidentally from User type account changed Guest to Admin managed to change the account type from Admin to Guest in User Accounts Now I am not able to run any programs User account type changed from Admin to Guest that require administrator password The popping up window says quot to continue type an administrator password then click yes quot However it does not give me any option to enter the administrator password and the button quot yes quot is disabled see attachment Also at the logon I don't have an option to User account type changed from Admin to Guest choose any other account than the one that used to be admin but is now guest I feel like I entered a loop because now User account type changed from Admin to Guest I am not able to go back to User Accounts to change it back Are there any options for me to change the account type back to Admin It had all worked fine before but I changed my hotmail password recently and was not able to start Windows without entering the password any more so I wanted to adapt the password in User Accounts I did not find that option so left User Accounts must have then accidentally changed the account type still not sure how but since then I am not able to enter it back since I cannot run any programs as administrator Thanks for any help Piotr

A:User account type changed from Admin to Guest

Hello Piotr, and welcome to Eight Forums.

If you like, you could try refreshing Windows 8 to see if it will set you up another administrator account. You may need to do so at boot. Be sure to back up anything that you do not want to lose first though.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/22180-user-account-type-changed-admin-guest.html
Relevancy 84.32%

Hello All I'm delighted No to accounts change /Cannot Admin admin user account existing Access to have found you and after a long day of trying to help myself i am now requiring your much appreciated assistance please I'm not a techy person at all and am hoping someone can help Last week my husband purchased a new hp laptop which No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account came with Windows On setup i used my No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account microsoft account to login with a pin the account was setup as administrator No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account thinking i could change things later About days later i added a standard user account for my husband with a microsoft account login with pin I wanted to make his the administrator account but thought i had better change mine to a standard account first My mistake Now i cannot change anything i have tried to use the cmd prompt to run as administrator - it asks for administrator permission and does not allow me to enter a password or yes I have tried all suggestions to enable the hidden windows account but all ask for the same permission I have tried to go to setup recovery troubleshoot advanced option system restore - it requests an administrator password and when i entered what i thought is mine it does not work Feeling a little Does anybody know anyway i can go back in time to start again or how do i access administrator rights as i really need to add programs etc Thank you for any help given

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/61945-no-admin-access-cannot-change-existing-user-accounts-admin-account.html
Relevancy 83.39%

For a long time I've had much difficulty understanding the exact difference between the computer administrator and a user whose type is administrator On my system there are two administrators - one known as quot Administrator quot and another with my name Gary or Gary and Susan Each administrator has their own profile I used Windows Professional The distinction doesn't matter to system operation in general With MS Office Professional however it does When I start MS Word All Office features MS user with but work not admin Admin with Pro or MS Excel as myself for example it won't let me access the help files When I try to a message states quot There is a problem with All MS Office Pro features work with Admin but not with admin user one All MS Office Pro features work with Admin but not with admin user or more installed help files Please repair your office installation and try again quot I ran the repair program successfully but as myself I can't access the help files When I log in as user quot administrator quot I can but the access is limited I can also access all features of the program in safe mode Yet when I log in as myself I can only access the help files if I run the program as an administrator This perplexes me because my user type is administrator This problem has occurred with other programs from time to time Would someone please help me understand this and is there a workaround I can set the privilege level to administrator which will permit me unrestricted access to the help files but then a dialog box appears every time I start the program which I'd prefer to not see All MS Office Pro features work with Admin but not with admin user

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/389269-all-ms-office-pro-features-work-admin-but-not-admin-user.html
Relevancy 83.39%

For a long time I've had much difficulty understanding the exact difference between the computer administrator and a user whose type is administrator On my system there are two administrators - one known as quot Administrator quot and another with my name Gary or Gary and Susan Each administrator has their own profile I used Windows Professional The distinction doesn't matter to system operation in general With MS Office Professional however it does When I start MS Word or MS Excel as myself for example it won't let me access the help files When I try to a message states quot There is a problem with one Pro work not MS user features All but admin with Admin Office with or more installed help files Please repair your office installation and try again quot I ran the repair program successfully but as myself All MS Office Pro features work with Admin but not with admin user I can't access the help files When I log in All MS Office Pro features work with Admin but not with admin user as user quot administrator quot I can but the access is limited I can also access all features of the program in safe mode Yet when I log in as myself I can only access the help files if I run the program as an administrator This perplexes me because my user type is administrator This problem has occurred with other programs from time to time Would someone please help me understand this and is there a workaround I can set the privilege level to administrator which will permit me unrestricted access to the help files but then a dialog box appears every time I start the program which I'd prefer to not see

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/389269-all-ms-office-pro-features-work-admin-but-not-admin-user.html
Relevancy 83.39%

I'm having some issues with my upgrade to win system me Programs asking passwords and for admin user admin Programs that need elevated access are now asking me for both the Sys Admin and my local admin password Of course the sys admin has no password and my local admin does So no matter what I do I get it wrong Earlier today I was trying to reset the tiles in my start menu to default I followed directions I found on the web activated the sys admin account went to the sys admin account the users app data tabletray But I kept getting the error that something quot was already in use quot and I couldn't copy all the files I went ahead Programs asking me for system admin and user admin passwords and pasted what I had in my local admin and standard user account then I disabled the sys admin account Now some programs icons I installed earlier today have disappeared I have to go to an admin account to gain access and turn them on MSI afterburner And any program that needs Programs asking me for system admin and user admin passwords admin access I'm not sure if I'm giving it access or it's just starting without admin access Seems like the next time I re-boot or log off I have to do it all over again when a program asks for elevated access it shows sys admin account AND local admin account above the password box Is that normal I could have sworn it only had my local admin account listed before If I have to re-install where do I Programs asking me for system admin and user admin passwords get the free win upgrade again are those files saved on my pc

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/58127-programs-asking-me-system-admin-user-admin-passwords.html
Relevancy 81.53%

I admin has My is corrupted PC so Admin user now privileges name NO created an administrator account for MSConway and changed my original account pmconway to user My Admin user name is corrupted so now PC has NO admin privileges Now when I log in to MSConway I get quot The user name or password is corrupted quot At the cmd line I entered quot net users quot and saw that my Admin account is mistakenly named quot Ms Conway quot Also when I use quot net user quot for MSConway that name is not recognized nor is any variation on Ms Conway like quot Ms Conway quot quot Conway quot quot Ms quot quot Ms What can I do I really want to upgrade to Windows but I'm stuck with no Admin account Also my Windows DVD came with my refurbished HP and says quot Intended for distribution with a refurbished PC quot When I boot from that DVD I don't get an option to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows so I'm wondering if I can even do a clean install with this type of Windows DVD Can I I'd really appreciate any suggestions Thanks a lot Trish

A:My Admin user name is corrupted so now PC has NO admin privileges

See Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable about enabling the built-in admin account. Once you get it set up I would take a system image with third party software (aomei, eg) so you have a fallback.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/377115-my-admin-user-name-corrupted-so-now-pc-has-no-admin-privileges.html
Relevancy 81.53%

I can't delete a file from the desktop. When I try, it says to get the rights from the specified admin user (which I'm logged on). The strange thing is that I still can create other users from this account (including admins).

Any suggestion on what to do?

A:admin user lost some admin rights

Quote: Originally Posted by Witch

I can't delete a file from the desktop. When I try, it says to get the rights from the specified admin user (which I'm logged on). The strange thing is that I still can create other users from this account (including admins).

Any suggestion on what to do?

Whats the name of the file?
Have you tried deleting it in safe mode?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/194988-admin-user-lost-some-admin-rights.html
Relevancy 81.22%

Hey, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium on my HP Pavilion Slimline Desktop and I need help getting my Standard user account back to Administrator. I can't run certain programs and I also can't install and uninstall anything. I don't have the Windows 7 Installation Disk to do restore. I have already tried Safe Mode and I can't enable and built in admin either. Please help me! Thank you!

A:How can I put my Standard user account back to Administrator when the ASP.NET Machine account is admin?

How are you trying to change the type of account?I don't have the Windows 7 Installation Disk to do restoreDo you mean System Restore? If you are, you don't need the installation disk to do this.To use System Restore click on the start orb. In the search box type in System Restore. In the list of results click on System Restore, if you are prompted for an administrator password type it in.Follow the prompts to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/479959/how-can-i-put-my-standard-user-account-back-to-administrator-when-the-aspnet-machine-account-is-admin/
Relevancy 80.91%

Hello This is an URGENT problem that I am having with this Windows BIT ULTRA MEGA AWESOME computer This things Where User", Admin?, other Stuck in the and is Standard, "Other is probably the most unusual thing that has ever happened to the Windows community and it's a problem causing problems You will find this typed up rant detailed in some sort of way I don't want silly Stuck in Standard, Where is the Admin?, "Other User", and other things answers like quot Just log out of Standard account and log into Administrator quot quot Use the disk quot quot There are grams in an ounce quot PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THING BEFORE YOU ANSWER or get know what I am dealing with at least Please answer with the best you can It's not a bad thing if your suggestion didn't work but at least know what you're typing Problem I am stuck in the standard account with the start Stuck in Standard, Where is the Admin?, "Other User", and other things page only having my selection of my named standard account and quot Other User quot I have no password to my Standard and it's a good fine account Otherwise clicking other user would give me the inserted quot Username quot and quot Password quot No administrator account there not the one I named I in fact caused this problem a long time ago months I was trying to make a standard account for myself and have the administrator for my parents beside it When I made the standard account it didn't show up on the startup screen I instead put it in quot Other User quot and it made the account Although it replaced where the administrator account was Stuck in Standard I can't do anything about it I can't change it in User Accounts and the quot other quot User accounts The one in which you can go to properties and quot add quot it to the administrator group didn't work I can do Command Prompt in administrator as system but whenever I try to change ANYTHING about accounts it would give me the lousy message of quot Access Denied quot I can't change my user account name or anything that requires administrator privileges If I TRY to change the name it won't change Where is the Admin I can't bring out the windows admin cause I'm a standard account I can't convert myself to Admin and I can't create another account I don't have guest either so what can I do Where did my admin account go I don't have the windows disk PLEASE make sure I can fix this without the disk I don't have it and I sure hope I don't need it THANK you for reading this whole typed up rant if you don't have an answer at least you know my problem I can't find anyone in or was in the same situation as I am in Wish me luck now answer away

A:Stuck in Standard, Where is the Admin?, "Other User", and other things

Do not come here, rant, and tell us not how to answer your question.

We give you advice and you accept it graciously or you don`t use it all.

And you say Thank You.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/365546-stuck-standard-where-admin-other-user-other-things.html
Relevancy 80.91%

I ve just installed a new copy of Windows Ultimate By default the first user account as declared in windows setup is set at administrator level I want to run this main account as a standard user but when I went to change this in account settings the option to change the account to standard was greyed out I decided to enable the administrator account to change this hidden user, account Run account with standard as main admin computer management local Run main account as standard user, with admin account hidden users and groups un-ticked account is disabled I logged on as administrator then changed the main account to standard As the Administrator account is now enabled it shows on the welcome screen I don t want this I went back and disabled it running computer management as admin in the now standard account and re-ticked account is disabled technically this should be how it was before I touched it except the main account is now at standard user level rather than administrator level The problem i have now is when trying to run anything on the standard account that needs admin rights i get the UAC box asking to enter admin password which is blank but there is no administrator icon or password field and the yes button is greyed out How can I have my main account as standard user the administrator account not showing on welcome screen but allowing it admin to authorise actions on the standard account that required admin rights via UAC i e when UAC comes up I can click yes to run as administrator At the moment the correct process happens but yes is greyed out when the admin account is disabled When the admin account is enabled this works yes button not greyed out but the administrator account shows on the welcome screen which i don t want

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/482436/run-main-account-as-standard-user-with-admin-account-hidden/
Relevancy 111.37%

So a new box recently built, when booted, defaults to the local administrator account.

This is a Windows 7 machine for a Linux guru that doesn't want to be bothered pressing more buttons than is necessary, if you get my drift.

So my question is, after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del...how do I dictate to Windows that the preferred used is "HisDomainAccount" on our company domain, as opposed to the local admin account?

If I'm not being clear, please let me know and I will try to explain a little better.

A:Strange Defult Login User Prompt - Local Admin, Not Domain User

Quote: Originally Posted by Norwood

So a new box recently built, when booted, defaults to the local administrator account.

This is a Windows 7 machine for a Linux guru that doesn't want to be bothered pressing more buttons than is necessary, if you get my drift.

So my question is, after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del...how do I dictate to Windows that the preferred used is "HisDomainAccount" on our company domain, as opposed to the local admin account?

If I'm not being clear, please let me know and I will try to explain a little better.

The above is a bit confusing. Is this computer joined to a work domain or is it not?

If this is a domain computer, the user will have to use the classic log on screen (Ctrl+Alt+Delete), not the Welcome Screen. If he wants to switch to logging in to the Local computer account and not the domain, he'll have to "Switch User" then log in with the format of Computername\User Name

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/208916-strange-defult-login-user-prompt-local-admin-not-domain-user.html
Relevancy 111.37%

Hello I'm looking for a way to give a user admin permissions for his regular AD account on his computer Example he is logged on as a regular user but needs to install software I want to give him admin permissions until reboot or some other point in time after which he loses his permissions again and of to dynamically user user logonid give permissions admin group administrators to Adding has to ask again Adding logonid of user to administrators group to dynamically give user admin permissions I know giving admin access to users is a bad Adding logonid of user to administrators group to dynamically give user admin permissions idea and all but that's how it goes with quot whoami logonid quot I get an ID that I can add to the administrators group by code like this objUser ADSI quot WinNT id quot objGroup ADSI quot WinNT computer Administrators quot To my amazement this works now the user can enter his own credentials in a UAC box and get admin access After a reboot logon this ID changes so he would need to ask admin permissions again It's possible to ask the user for a motivation and log this and to also clean up the administrators group at a given interval or at boot as well as check if a user is allowed to elevate his rights on this computer Of course once a user has admin rights he can circumvent all this but that's something we have to live with What's most important is dat not just anyone can elevate his rights I'm looking for opinions on this way of working Anyone have experience with this mechanism Is it reliable and secure as far as giving admin rights to a user can be secure I may be missing something

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/35ba1083-1de8-4ced-9567-20d19ce23fa6/adding-logonid-of-user-to-administrators-group-to-dynamically-give-user-admin-permissions?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 110.94%

I have always been running admin and even until now I run as admin. But, I have been doing a little bit of research and realize that using a standard account is a safer practice. I have never even used a standard account. Is using a standard account a better practice? Also, how does doing average task such as installing programs and updating work through the standard user account?

A:Using default admin account vs standard user account

Its safer to always run programs with lower privileges, and run as administrator when needed. Personally, I like my UAC set to the max. Basically, it stops programs from messing with your PC without permission.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/192765-using-default-admin-account-vs-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 110.94%

Hello

Interestingly on boot up I see "another user" but the picture is blank, with a frame around it (I can see through it to the boot wallpaper that I have changed to prove) ..

Who is another user?

Please help as I have been on the 2 days now

A:Created admin User but can see on 'Switch User" cntrl/alt/del

Sorry to bump but things have changed somewhat, and yes could start a new topic but will try the edit function as I am not here often. I see 110 views and that's promising

Please advise who is this "another user" icon/picture is blank, with a frame around it (I can see through it to the boot wallpaper that I have changed to prove) .. on control /alt/ delete.

I now have admin rights back (previous problem) but this "another user" can't be found anywhere (I know of) except at login. I am stumped..

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/243941-created-admin-user-but-can-see-switch-user-cntrl-alt-del.html
Relevancy 109.65%

My 2nd wife has a Toshiba Win7 Pro, 64 bit, Satellite notebook, never in a domain. I originally set her up as Admin with no additional users. We want to change or hide her account while adding new admin account before sending/giving pc to my son who would not accept it with her info obviously on the machine. I'm worried about losing losing Win7 Pro[anytime uprade] functionality & Adobe Acrobat9 std & Office 2010 when I make changes? Can I safely do this? I can do have image bkups if I need to revert from changes.

A:Renaming Win 7 Pro admin [only user] or adding new user & hiding 1st.

Don`t rename her account, it will mess things up big time, just create another account and delete hers

He should just re install windows when he gets the pc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/357041-renaming-win-7-pro-admin-only-user-adding-new-user-hiding-1st.html
Relevancy 109.65%

Hey guys After spending most of and - Family user management User groups Admin PC on [W7] the day trying to get my head around user management and getting nowhere I'm asking for help I've built a PC and freshly installed windows on a computer for my girlfriends family I want one normal-user password protected account at the [W7] User management on Family PC - Admin and user groups welcome screen but I want them to be able to use administrator rights when necessary The default profile created during instillation lets call it User has administrator powers User has only user rights and of course there is disabled hidden [W7] User management on Family PC - Admin and user groups Administrator account with elevated admin rights When I tried to configure this last time by hiding User and Admin I ended locking myself out of all admin access and therefore couldn't change [W7] User management on Family PC - Admin and user groups passwords re enable or login to UAC I had to system restore to get back to working configuration Can anyone tell me how to create a system that shows only one login for a normal user but can then access administrator options via UAC If I disable User in additon to having Admin disabled I'm sure I will just get locked out of admin access again If I delete User and keep admin disabled will User be able to use admin privileges - or will it lead to again I'm probably missing something very simple but i just can't see a way to do this with having only one login visible on the welcome screen without the one login being User with admin rights Thankyou

A:[W7] User management on Family PC - Admin and user groups

In Vista and Windows Seven the default account in the Administrator group that is created, is roughly equivalent to the Operators Group that was extant in NT Server 4. You could do things like install programs, register COM dlls etc.. but you could not delete system files.

I think it's a pretty good compromise.
But then again I turn UAC off altogether. So maybe I can't be trusted.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/303848-w7-user-management-family-pc-admin-user-groups.html
Relevancy 109.65%

I have been using an unelevated admin user account since installing win 8.1 pro and I've been having problems constantly (UAC nagging me, access denied when trying to kill processes and so on) and I decided I want to use the elevated admin account as my main. I understand security risks and convenience is more important to me as I don't have any sensitive information on my laptop. I was wondering if I can merge the user account I used until now, which has all my app settings, with the elevated admin user account and use that one from now on.

A:How do I transfer main user to Elevated Admin user?

Nope.

It is the same a switching from any other account to a different one except that as you'll not be able to use the Store apps using the built in Administrator account you don't even get to use the OneDrive synching of settings.

Sorry about that.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/53983-how-do-i-transfer-main-user-elevated-admin-user.html
Relevancy 109.22%

My problem is that even though I have only one user account defined on my machine and it is set to "Administrator" it is not being allowed to do admin types of things like deleting folders. I tried to create a user group but that's not an option on the Win7 Home Premium version that I use. How can it be that the sole account is not the admin even though it shows that it is in the account user setup?
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3890 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1721 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 424790 MB; E: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 381321 MB;
Motherboard: TOSHIBA, NALAA
Antivirus: Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Disabled Microsoft Security Essentials in use

A:Admin user has no admin rights?

the actual admin account is hidden and disabled for security reasons,your referring to a account with admin privileges

go into properties for the drive and click on the security tab and check the permissions are enabled for your account

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-user-has-no-admin-rights.1078283/
Relevancy 109.22%

I'm helping two friends Bob amp Jane who want separate accounts on their new computer They hired someone to help them who wound up setting up Jane's account on the default Admin account When I saw this I set up a new Admin account named quot Bob quot and changed Jane's Issues Changed Account - Default Standard Admin Having Now to account to Standard Fast-forward to present Now in Windows Explorer I'm seeing two accounts quot PC quot and quot Jane quot However these labels are mixed up The account labeled quot Jane quot in Windows Explorer is actually Bob's Admin account has his specific files desktop shortcuts etc and the account labeled quot PC quot is actually Jane's Standard account After making the initial account changes the accounts were logged off of and the computer restarted to make the changes effective That the change is not being reflected in Windows Explorer Changed Default Admin Account to Standard - Now Having Issues is concerning and I'm also wondering if there could be additional residual effects after making the changes I've described Changed Default Admin Account to Standard - Now Having Issues Any help is much appreciated

A:Changed Default Admin Account to Standard - Now Having Issues

Anyone? Was changing the default admin acct to standard a bad idea?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/359503-changed-default-admin-account-standard-now-having-issues.html
Relevancy 107.5%

Hi,
I am interested in knowing how to quickly turn an XP Admin user into a limited user while preserving settings, documents, etc.. I know this will involve making a limited user and copying settings over. I have found conflicting info on this including ownership of files issues, etc..
I want to do this as I understand limited users are less vulnerable to malware, etc.. Referring to XP sp3 machines.
Thanks in advance for any insight!
Jim

A:make admin user a limited user

Create another admin account before doing anything.

You can then switch the admin account to a limited user account while logged in as the new administrator.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/make-admin-user-a-limited-user-841817.html
Relevancy 107.5%

Vista x64, added a user--their screen works fine

The taskbar on the admin user is gone?

Help requested to locate/restore to working position?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/204889-add-user-lost-task-bar-admin-user.html
Relevancy 107.5%

I am trying to download Adobe Digital Editions and I keep receiving the error message

Unable to elevate to administrative rights, error 786

I am the admin! I have turned off the password, I have right clicked on the program and chosen 'run as admin'-then nothing happens.
Any help would be appreciated

A:"Unable to elevate to admin rights" error, when admin user

Try this:

Quote:
SOLUTION: download the setup.exe for ADE, not using the flash install version.

Before you run it, right click on it and check "run as administrator" under the compatability tab. Also under the general tab I clicked on "unblock," which might have made a difference.

From a similar issue: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/953278?tstart=0

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/359020-unable-elevate-admin-rights-error-when-admin-user.html
Relevancy 104.92%

Hi Guys I'm new to this forum as in this is my first post so please be gentle with Admin? Standard Account to Hidden (Admin) Transferring me if this has been answered before So anyway I have a standard account with admin privileges turned off UAC etc but it doesn't seem to be elevated all the time for example I still see the quot admin shield Transferring Standard (Admin) Account to Hidden Admin? quot icon next to some programs on my desktop Most of the time I have to right click and select quot Run as Administrator quot from the popup menu and also Windows still asks me when something needs admin mode and do I want to continue I have Transferring Standard (Admin) Account to Hidden Admin? activated the hidden true admin account on my PC and when I log into that everything is elevated and great no more prompts etc which is what I want But the problem is it looks very basic I want to be able to transfer all my settings from my standard admin account to my true admin account is this possible I've tried going to system- gt advanced system settings- gt user profiles to copy the account across but the copy button is grayed out If this is not possible is there any way to make this standard admin account the full type which is always elevated Hope someone can help me I'm getting very annoyed having to give permission for things I want to do all the time Thanks in advance -milw rm

A:Transferring Standard (Admin) Account to Hidden Admin?

Hello milw0rm, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You could use the tutorial below to elevate your standard administrator account to have the same elevated rights as the built-in elevated Administrator account.

Be warned though, that all Metro Store apps and the Store will not work in an elevated account.

User Account Control (UAC) - Elevate Privilege Level - Vista Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/16240-transferring-standard-admin-account-hidden-admin.html
Relevancy 102.77%

I just user when admin non made Lost Admin account account made a non admin user account on my Dell Inspiron windows xp laptop When I went online to sign in under my account admin it is no longer there My name Penne is there and Lost Admin user account when made non admin account so is my daughters I click on my name put my password in and it takes me to the desktop for my daughter and ALL my stuff is gone PLEASE HELP I have googled this and the only thing Lost Admin user account when made non admin account I am seeing is that you need to sign in under an Admin user account to fix this and get my stuff back THere is Lost Admin user account when made non admin account NO admin user account so how can I get it all back I did the F and went to restore to previous point and that didnt work I know there is a way to go to the restore calendar and find a day that her user account was not on there like last week so this might work but I dont know how to find this PLEASE help as all of my EVERYTHING is on my user account and I am lost without it all have a retreat this weekend and I need all of my sheet music and my songs Thanks so much PENNE nbsp

Relevancy 101.91%

Hello my apologies if this was already discussed but I searched the forum and couldn't find anything As the title states on my laptop vista erased files in my user profile while the other user profiles my gf's and the guest profiles were basically left untouched I use an HP dv series with Vista Ultimate gb ram gb hd and ghz if that helps For starters let me tell you what happened Help!!!!!! Vista admin erased other user user relatively left files, files untouched, As of late I have been using the Power saver option so that the screen brightness is dulled so that I can use it in the dark when everyone's asleep as well as the High performance option when my gf uses it shes addicted to the sims and has pulled me in too Normally I have it on the HP recommended option A few nights ago I was using my laptop and instead of shutting down I hibernated as I usually do because my Vista erased admin user files, other user files left relatively untouched, Help!!!!!! gf is usually still logged in The next morning my gf started up the laptop and the password screen for my profile came up and Vista erased admin user files, other user files left relatively untouched, Help!!!!!! she switched users and logged into hers Then later she hibernated as well and we left to run some errands with a friend When we got back my friend wanted to use the laptop to play online chess yahoo games to be exact so I just put in my password to log into my profile so he could play without any issues if he needed to since my profile is the administrator he wouldnt need me to put in passwords if he had to download or upgrade any software When I came to check up on him I saw that my wallpaper the folders on the desktop as well as my windows sidebar settings were Vista erased admin user files, other user files left relatively untouched, Help!!!!!! all gone At first I thought he signed out and went to the guest profile but that wasn't the case Needless to say I was p ssed and decided to look at it later When I did I noticed that the Documents Pictures Downloads Videos folders were all empty so I signed out and checked the other users To my surprise my gf's as well as the guest profiles were left untouched in fact the website my gf had left up was still there the desktop remained the same and her windows side bar was ok and her Pictures Documents folders etc remained untouched same with the guest profile In addition to my pictures Documents folders etc some the the programs I downloaded were also erased the shortcuts on desktop and program files ie itunes youcam and I also had to reinstall windows media player This is constant throughout the entire laptop The only programs that remained were skype the sims and irfanview although its no on the desktop or program files but when I open a picture file or folder it shows up when I right click Also what I thought was pretty weird was that the recycle bin still had all the crap that I deleted from before so what I did was I restored a video I had downloaded to the downloads folder then did a search for the file name and found it in Downloads in the user folder equivalent in c Documents and Settings users Stephen I'm not sure if that the exact path to the folder but you get the point There I found all of my files excluding the programs erased that were mentioned previously Can someone tell me what happened because I'm confused as h ll and would love to find out the cause so that I can try to prevent it in the future Why was it that the Users folders were still ok and if this were to happen again will these folders retain the stuff that I save from now on and erase the old stuff or will it keep the new and the old or will it just not save any of the new stuff I save Thanks for your time and help and my apologies if I rambled on a bit Stephen

A:Vista erased admin user files, other user files left relatively untouched, Help!!!!!!

hello
I don't know what, how, when or why, what I do know is while your still able you need to make another admin account.
that way (not if ) but when it happens again, it may be worse & you won't be able to do anything without admin privileges...

good luck

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/265128-vista-erased-admin-user-files-other-user-files-left-relatively-untouched-help.html
Relevancy 101.91%

Admin account worked fine on Monday.  The kid used her (non-admin) account in the meantime.  Now it won't log into the admin account - "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded."  I've read a few other boards on this issue, so I am now doing a thorough virus scan and will include results as soon as they're available.  But I am not confident about moving forward with any of the paths I've seen laid out, and some of them don't apply if you can't access the admin account anyway, so I wanted to start a thread here (I've gotten fabulous help here several times before).  It's running Vista Home Premium SP2.  AVG 2013 Internet Security.  Can't think what other specs may be relevant, but am happy to provide whatever would be of use.  Thanks!!

A:User Profile svc failed logon. User profile can't be loaded." on admin acct.

I got the same message when attempting to login on Windows 7, after no previous problems or changes before shutdown the night before. It continued to loop back to the logon screen even after rebooting. I ended up having to log on in Safe Mode, then do a system restore to restore back to the last restore point, which was a system checkpoint a couple of days earlier. That fixed it, and I've had no problems since. I hope that helps.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/515804/user-profile-svc-failed-logon-user-profile-cant-be-loaded-on-admin-acct/
Relevancy 100.62%

I am trying to create a non admin user account, which I know how to do the simple way, however I have been using the admin user account for a while now however I want to transfer/copy program setting, etc to this knew user account.

so I want to: create a non admin user account which is duplicate of the current existing admin account but from her on to install software etc I install under admin account.

I am using Vista too

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
David Lambie

A:How do I copy existing admin user account to normal user account

I would
> Create the new profile with admin privileges
> Transfer stuff things to the new profile (see here)
> Then remove admin privilege from the new account

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-copy-existing-admin-user-account-to-normal-user-account.146098/
Relevancy 99.76%

Now I have no administrator rights and can't log in as an administrator to change the account type? I'm assuming there's no real solution here other than delete and reinstall?

A:Accidentally changed user from Administrator group to Standard

Originally Posted by trnqk7

Now I have no administrator rights and can't log in as an administrator to change the account type? I'm assuming there's no real solution here other than delete and reinstall?

If you're dual booting, keep pressing F8 at bootup to get to safe mode to do your dirty work from there.

If you're not dual booting, I don't think F8 works by default.

I have other ideas, so let me know what your situation is and if you're able to get there or not.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/5809-accidentally-changed-user-administrator-group-standard.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Hello guys Here is in Admin by Cannot XP A/C User Add New even the sitution My best freind has a HCL Laptop which he received while doing MBA in Noida His was a restricted a c Now he has finished his course and Cannot Add New User in XP even by Admin A/C had brought it back home to Kolkata He is the sole owner now His lappy name is REHANSINGH He called his Admin in Noida and requested him to give the Admintrator password so that he can create new user one Admin amp the other restricted He got the password and logged on with it But when he created a Admin user lets call it Boss for simplicity and gave the username and domain and specified quot Administrator quot as the a c type but there was an error The user REHANSINGH Boss could not be added to the Administrator group because REHANSINGH Boss does not exist Click to expand The same error prompts if creating a quot Standard Restricted User quot This is annoying as he cant install anything his being restricted a c SInce he is the sole owner now he wants to have complete control over the laptop PS When he opened the User Accounts windows there was one user named quot Administrator quot and the a c type was quot Debugger User quot Now when he wanted to change that to Administrator out comes another error Quote The user could not be added because the following error has occured The specified account name is alrady a member of the local group Click to expand He cant go back to Noida So plz tell me the solution so that a new admin and one restricted user can be created Even they have created a BIOS password so he wont be able to boot into Linux Live OS nbsp

A:Cannot Add New User in XP even by Admin A/C

Try leaving the domain first and switch to workgroup, i'm wondering if the computer is running a roaming profile and is looking to the network for the groups.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-add-new-user-in-xp-even-by-admin-a-c.717258/
Relevancy 98.47%

Just did a fresh install of XP Pro due to overwhelming malware infestation and decided this time to run XP: Admin User vs. two accounts one with admin privileges and one user account with limited permissions Combined with AVG virus protection I figured doing all my installations under admin and general day to day use web surfing etc under the user account might help prevent unauthorized access to my system XP: Admin vs. User Couple of annoying things Prefs set for apps and utilities under admin don t stick in the user account I install an app launch it for the first time set the initial preferences then switch to the user account and I have to do it all over again I understand they re different accounts but some apps ask whether you want to install for quot this user quot or quot all users quot and I figured if it doesn t ask it must be installing for all users Also I sometimes get ownership errors trying to launch programs from either admin or user saying I don t have permission to access that Also copying files into certain directories or from CD to HDD I get denied due to permissions Was this even a good idea doing daily work under User and administrative stuff under Admin and if so what am I doing wrong nbsp

Relevancy 98.47%

Hi, I work for a company that has is using vista home premium. Its a small company, but we just reopened a new office. Now my problem. Someone who used to work here is the Admin on the computer in that office and I have no way to override his password that no one knows. I can only log on as a guest. I have already tried safe mode and the CMD. It brings up the enter new password and then tells me access is denied. Does anyone else no how to override or change this password?

A:Admin user

Hello Kelly, and welcome to Vista Forums.

You will need to reinstall Vista to wipe out the account.

Sorry,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/194699-admin-user.html
Relevancy 98.47%

I removed my original user name and created another...WELL, all my data, programs, ETC. are gone! Is there any way to get them back?

My new user profile has admin privledges yet I am unable to restore my NAV 360 back-up OR install Acrobat.

B Blake

A:Admin User

go into documents and settings folder, is your old profile still there? If so, you should be able to recover your data.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/admin-user-303960.html
Relevancy 98.47%

hi ive got windows vista home premium 32bit on a zoostorm system,i have a bad habbit for messing around and ive set the asp.net user as the administrator on my p.c(the asp.net user came with the p.c but it never popt up on the login screen)thats left the other 2 users unable to do much without needing the password for asp.net(admin) because their now set on standerd,any help please? i am NOT a vista fan.

A:admin user help

Originally Posted by mat16

hi ive got windows vista home premium 32bit on a zoostorm system,i have a bad habbit for messing around and ive set the asp.net user as the administrator on my p.c(the asp.net user came with the p.c but it never popt up on the login screen)thats left the other 2 users unable to do much without needing the password for asp.net(admin) because their now set on standerd,any help please? i am NOT a vista fan.

do you still have access to the asp.net account?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/257861-admin-user-help.html
Relevancy 97.18%

Hello Everyone I made a HUGE mistake today I was configuring puters at a time amp accidently made the only admin account into a limited account At first I swear I remember seeing the at least one other account that was an admin but I guess not The login screen is a bit wierd Account XP User Admin in as well Instead of it being the new xp screen with the users Admin User Account in XP icon it has the old version with the window asking for the username amp password I tried to enter the UN in that I thought I remember seeing amp a variety of possible passwords but nada My questions are is it possible to reverse the limited restrictions on the formerly admin account without any other admin account This seems unlikely but I guess there has to Admin User Account in XP be a way right GOD I hioe there is a way If there really is another admin account it seems unlikely that windows would allow the only account to be changed to limited access then how can I recoup the forgotten password I didnt make a passwords disks I am in a super jam here folx so if any mad scientist out there can help mw out I would forever be greatful Thanks in advance peace rusia nbsp

Relevancy 97.18%

My son booted up his HP Omen and accidentally clicked on administrator. He used the password for this and now he can't find his account or add an account or do anything else!cant create new user or find his account or go onto internet.hope this makes sense! 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/hp-omen-only-admin-no-other-user/td-p/5786134
Relevancy 97.18%

Hi user Windows Admin 8.1 This is my first post as I am a new member but hope someone can help For some reason over the past week the system has installed an Administrator on our PC and we cannot get any password to unlock it Neither Windows 8.1 Admin user of us have set a password We have tried just about everything we can - disable delete account through computer management changing the password using the command prompt but nothing works or we just get access denied We do not have a USB or anything to allow changes as the system is asking for We also do not have the original disc for the as we upgraded online a while ago And when I tried Microsoft help they wanted around to send a new back up disc Because of the restrictions we cannot download any programs etc to assist with deletion changes so any advice suggestions would need to NOT have to download anything or install anything Many thanks in advance Yvette

A:Windows 8.1 Admin user

Do the following and see if the new administrator disappears.

In the Search program and files box type cmd , when this appears in the pane above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

When the elevaded command prompt opens type in or copy and paste the following command and then press Enter.   net user administrator /active:no 

This will hide the default Administrator account as it normally should be.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/542376/windows-81-admin-user/
Relevancy 97.18%

There's only one login on this computer and of course its an gone. are options XP admin yet Only user, some 1 admin account called Ben Now its always been this way Only 1 XP user, yet some admin options are gone. There's never been another admin limited or guest account Ever Recently some of the admin options and other stuff is either gone or when I try to access it it says its been quot disallowed quot by the administrator I found some fixes for most of them and saved them as reg files and had to run them all every time I booted my PC Quote - In the start menu there is no longer a quot Run quot option - When I press CTRL ALT DEL I am told that the Task Manager has been disallowed by the administrator - In Explorer I can no longer manually type in a destination and am told that Access to the resource has been disallowed - Also in Explorer if I'm in a folder that has alot of items in it and am in Thumbnail view after a while Explorer either closes suddenly or gives me an error message and re-startes explorer exe To enable the Task Manager I run a reg file I made in Notepad that contains this Code HKEY CURRENT USER Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Policies System quot DisableTaskMgr quot dword And it usually works As of the other regs I had I've gotten rid of most of them as it was too much trouble Is there a permanent way to fix these things

A:Only 1 XP user, yet some admin options are gone.

your logging in as a user with admin privledges which is not the same as logging in as admin
have a read of this
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admins.htm

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/only-1-xp-user-yet-some-admin-options-are-gone-164433.html
Relevancy 97.18%

Hi I have a program that I want a non-admin user it's actually an Active Directory user to able to Non-admin run user not program be able to run Installation is not an issue as we can have the admin do it Currently the user is having access right issues at run time and I was wondering what sort of permissions have to be set up for this to work Here's some specific info about the program - it writes to the registry HKLM - it's installed inside Program Files installation folder being C Program Files ThisProgram - it calls up some batch files that exist in its installation folder at run time - those batch files call up some other executables also in the installation folder some parameters are passed to the executables by the batches - it references the OLEDB library in its C source code - it reads writes overwrites from to several files that are or will be in the installation folder These are txt MS Access and Excel files Any ideas on the type of permission we should set up for a regular Active Directory user FYI we've tried providing read write access to the registry as well as the Program Files but no luck Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/non-admin-user-not-able-to-run-program-424015.html
Relevancy 97.18%

I only have one "user" account set up on my computer.....when i switched to safe mode the "admin" user option is there, so I clicked on it and low n behold all the setting I had on my computer before I messed it up are there. The problem is once I swich back to reg. mode there is only one user account, how do I get that admin. account as my main account so that I can have all of my orginal settings back before I messed it up?

A:Switching To User Admin.

I'm sorry, but in XP the "Admin" account is only available in Safe Mode (a user account can have admin privileges, but this is not the same as the "Admin" account).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/108106/switching-to-user-admin/
Relevancy 97.18%

After 'exploring' my new Win7 system for quite a while, I took the advice of many and created a separate Administrator logon. I am finding that this is another of many Win7 User-Strait-Jackets that will trash my productivity.

I need what we used to have with Windows: Admin privileges on my user logon.

Specifically, I either need the same config (applications, preferences, etc) on the Admin logon so I can use it all the time, -or- to have a way to turn-on Admin privileges painlessly on my user logon when needed.

Is there any way to establish symmetry between config on my user and Admin logons?

Thx,
Puddin'

A:Admin vs User Config

Quote: Originally Posted by Puddin Man

... to have a way to turn-on Admin privileges painlessly on my user logon when needed...

That would be what UAC is for. Have an account part of the Administrators group with UAC on. This lets everything run as a Standard User. When you need administrative power you right-click on a shortcut > Run as Admin. Or if you searched though the start menu use the hot key CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/118056-admin-vs-user-config.html
Relevancy 97.18%

I can't run any application as admin.
I have read on some sites that after pressing right click and select Run as admin Y should be prompted with a selection to run as admin, but instead in ALL my apps I just get a dialog with no selection available:
It says to continue enter an admin username and password but there's no field for input.

A:Can't run anything as admin user on windows 10

Just curious; does the account you are using have admin permissions?

Account Type - Determine in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/59051-cant-run-anything-admin-user-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 97.18%

Hi all. I've got a computer in an enterprise environment running XP Pro, off network, offline.

The software manufacturer (Metso) has locked down the computer to log into a user account that has no admin. I can't access any properties, cmd, control panel, etc - nothing but the software designed to run on start up (Metso) and shut down/restart.

I cannot log out at the ctrl,alt,del - the option is there but it just takes me back to the user desktop.

Getting in on safe mode with command prompt is possible but commands there seem locked down as well (ie. I tried to run desktop.cpl - no luck). I thought maybe there is a command I can run that will switch users but then I realized even in safe mode I am still logged in as the non-admin user.

Is there a linux distro that gives me some control over XP user accounts maybe? Ugh.

Thanx.

A:XP Pro locked down to non-admin user

In Safe Mode, log in as Administrator and leave the password blank, unless you know the local administrator password set by the company.Make sure you change the Domain to (This Computer) If it asks for a password that you don't know, there is not much you can do.
If that works, you will be logged in as the Local Administrator and not the Domain Administrator. Here you can Right click My Computer/Properties/Computer Name/Change. Here, if you are part of a Domain, click the Radio button for Workgroup to leave the domain. You will have to log out and log in as the Local Administrator again. Once that is done, you can create a new user with admin rights for yourself and add your own password if you like.
If this all fails, your only recourse is to reinstall Windows from a Windows disc.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-pro-locked-down-to-non-admin-user-926258.html
Relevancy 97.18%

Hi,
I was using XP pro quite happily using the standard administrator logon as my logon. However, I created a second username in my name and gave myself admin rights.
Whenever XP starts now the old admin logon has disppeared (only appears in safe mode) and the only logon I have now is the new admin logon (my named one) and guest.
Well, my desktop, progs and everything were all configured fine in my old standard admin logon. Now I just want to revert back to the first admin logon and delete the second one (my named one).
Is there any way to do this? Obviously, there in no option to delete the latest admin account in control panel/user accounts and I cannot downgrade the admin account either.
This is driving me nuts!
Cheers for any help.

Relevancy 97.18%

Ok how do User Admin Lost I start Possible malware caused system Lost Admin User damage A friend of mine told me she got a msg saying her computer was infected probably malware with the msg and clcked on remove then her computer froze she rebooted and all she got was just her desktop picture no icons no taskbar nothing So she went out and bought a new computer and brought it the bad infected one to me to see if I could retrieve he family pictures Booting the computer up it show logins like it should one is hers as the admin the nd her son s with limited use logging onto hers the only thing that coms up is like she said just the desktop Even the Windows button on the keyboard will not pull up a menu Ctrl Alt Del works but that is about it so I took the Hdd out and put in my other computer as a secondary and under Docs and Settings only Administator All users app data and her son s acct show up her personal user acct is not there I scanned the drive with my CA antivirus and as supected it found about badboys Then I was running a spyware scan and the CA popped up with about more again I noticed that they were in a tmp file that had her user name so it seems her user acct could still be there maybe Can Malware delete or hide the main users acct Any ideas how to get it back once I get the conmputer totally cleaned up thanks Terry

A:Lost Admin User

What does User Accounts (in Control Panel) reflect?Her profile could be damaged, Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151 LouisI'd also run chkdsk /r on that drive, if possible. If not, then I would run a hard drive diagnostic (long test) on it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/232421/lost-admin-user/
Relevancy 97.18%

My PC has one user and on startup I want to log in to the user not to the administrator. Please help! Thank you.

A:login to user not admin

Welcome to TSG....

Actually you are logging in as a user but with full admin rights. If you boot in safe mode you should see several accounts administrator, your account you open on boot up and guest which is the limited account.

If yo want to go into Windows as guest then you can setup the computer for that but it will limit you to that account and its limited capabilities just go to user accounts in control panel and turn it on so you can use it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/login-to-user-not-admin.512183/
Relevancy 97.18%

Ok im having major issues here and question admin Another user Ive read everything but nothing seems to answer my specific issue Im using Win Pro and im a user on a local work network I have admin privileges on my network security policy Im trying to adjust the URC controls and Win is telling me I have to log in as administrator to reduce the security level In addition many common tasks I try to do are prompting Another admin user question me to run as admin and I have to then go and type my user id and pw Ive enabled the Build in Administrator and tried to adjust the setting via that method but am still receiving the promps for my local policy Ive adjusted the settings in the Users folder and given myself almost every privilege but again I still cannot adjust the URC and am still being prompted to quot Run as Admin quot for many tasks which is becoming very annoying How to I fix this Thanks

A:Another admin user question

Are you on a domain ?? If so, you're probably running up against domain policies. You have to talk to your domain admin about that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/129943-another-admin-user-question.html
Relevancy 97.18%

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Vista, but want to create another user account so that I'm not using my Admin account. It seems that this is suggested by Microsoft as it's safer.

I have all my programs installed and now I want to create a user account without admin rights that has all the settings, look and feel etc that I have set up with my admin account.

Can I copy the admin account and then just turn off admin rights? or is there some other way of doing this?

Thanks for the help and your time.

All the best to you,

Glen

A:Non-Admin User Account

Click Start>Control Panel>User Accounts>Manage another account>Create a new account.Hope this is what you were looking for.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/non-admin-user-account.739950/
Relevancy 97.18%

this is what happens when logging into admin user..

1) btdna.exe tries to connect...block

2) rupdsysguard.exe tries to connect....block

3) windows security alert box..also blue shield -w- white stripe appears in tray icons

4) security warning box..do you want to activate anti-virus software

5) iexplore fails to connect to internet.

I booted up into SAFE mode downloaded and updated new virus software( it stated previous software was infected) ran total system scan and cleaned 20 trojans/worms...but no luck with this one yet???

Any help out there???

A:admin user infected

Hello and welcome to TSF.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link given below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:

Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps

link at the top of each page. Since you are able to boot into Safe Mode with Networking, you may do so to download the necessary tools. Ignore the "infected" warnings while running them as it's most likely the work of the rogueware.

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/admin-user-infected-446422.html
Relevancy 97.18%

My admin user disappeared from my log on screen, so I can't access any files under the user.  I've tried restarting laptop and shutting down laptop and still bringing up other user log on with letting me swap users to my admin. Any suggestions on how to get admin user back. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Admin-User-Disappeared/td-p/5721085
Relevancy 97.18%

A friend of my sisters has asked me to look at her PC as it keeps quot just crashing quot A thorugh technical description to help I know However I have found that the PC which Admin Password User is running Vista Home Premium has user accounts Admin account with password Standard User Guest I can not log into the admin Admin User Password account as I do not have the password and my sisters friend is unreachable The standard user account wont letme do anything remotely techy or use any system tools or install my own PC Admin User Password diagnostic tools The user account doesn't have the correct permission It wont even update any of the virus definitions with out asking for the password I have a Admin User Password copy of Active Password changer that I have used in the past in these circumstances but the PC was bought from a big retail chain and has been set up with the usual hidden partion with important files on it So Active Password Changer can not see the partion with the SAM database on it to change the admin password Any ideas on how I can move forward

A:Admin User Password

Hi,

You could try this,

Boot in from the cd you create with it, it finds all the installed o/s (probably only one in your case ). Highlight it and Next, it finds the accounts, highlight the one you want and Next. Tick the password is empty and Next, select No if it asks if you want to do anything else.

PCLoginNow, Reset or Recover Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista Administrator Password.

Hope it helps

siw2

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/210359-admin-user-password.html