Windows Support Forum

Accidently installed grub onto windows 7 boot partiton. Unable to boot

Q: Accidently installed grub onto windows 7 boot partiton. Unable to boot

Hi.

I accidently installed grub onto the seven boot partition. I can't boot into seven. It loads the ubuntu select os screen, I select WIndows 7 (Loader), and it justs goes back to the ubuntu select os.

Please can someone help?

I still have windows 7 installed, and I have full access to ubuntu.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Accidently installed grub onto windows 7 boot partiton. Unable to boot

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Accidently installed grub onto windows 7 boot partiton. Unable to boot

To Remove Linux take look at this post:
Error 0xc0000225 on boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/208957-accidently-installed-grub-onto-windows-7-boot-partiton-unable-boot.html
Relevancy 101.48%

How do i install an os or manage to install one cus i tried cannot blank line grub, boot, Pc installed androidx86 n _ doesnt boot installing androidx with ubuntu using Android- -rc iso direct download open straight in bosero my burning Pc doesnt boot, installed androidx86 n cannot boot grub, blank _ line application in ubuntu instead Pc doesnt boot, installed androidx86 n cannot boot grub, blank _ line of saving then burning burnt to same disk i previously had ubuntu installer on but when i booted up it just went to a blinking white underscore and nothing else then i tried deleting all my partitions and making a new partition with ef guid code filling up the entire disk almost from sector - and that didnt change anything then i tried using different format types different partition types installing grub again booting android from live cd just get blank screen with blinking white underscore nothing works please help me My current partition layout from GPT is in screenshot Information for partition Partition GUID code E C E - B C- DB - D-F DF AE Microsoft reserved Partition unique GUID B -CB C- EF- FD- DBD C D First sector at Kib Last sector at Mib Partition size sectors Mib Atribute flags Partition name quot Reserve quot Information for partition Partition GUID code DEE - E - D - D - C F F MBR partition scheme Partition unique GUID C E B- A - A C- FB- FD B D First sector at Mib Last sector at Gib Partition size sectors Gib Atribute flags Partition name quot OS quot

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/399854-pc-doesnt-boot-installed-androidx86-n-cannot-boot-grub-blank-_-line.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Hi,
It has happened to me twice...I accidentally deleted a partition and later found out that my system is dead....The only way I recover out of that is I reinstall Windows and then install grub again to recover the Linux partition. But I feel the delete partition is a very rapid process just taking seconds and in that I don't think files would be deleted, so I feel potentially I can recover the deleted partitions including the boot partition. But I don't know how to do it. Also now when the boot partition is deleted and the system is not booting up what should be done to recover the system and data?
Thanks in advance,
-pkd

A:How to recover deleted grub/boot partition in Windows XP(Dual boot system))

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-recover-deleted-grub-boot-partition-in-windows-xp-dual-boot-system.871174/
Relevancy 89.44%

Hi,
I have a dual-boot system Ubuntu/Windows 7. The Master boot loader is GRUB.
It worked fine until yesterday when, for some reason, Windows 7 refused to load anymore. I tried to repair with chkdsk, found and repaired some disk errors, but now the boot loader is damaged. The problem I have is that after selecting Windows from the GRUB list I get the installed version entry but I can't have access to Repair through F8 and thus I am not able to continue on the installation DVD. The problem I think would be simple, by writing a new boot using bootrec, but I don't have access to the console.
I've seen a solution/tutorial on this forum except that it requires to remove Linux, which is not at all my scope.
Thanks

A:Recover Windows 7 boot on dual boot system with GRUB masterboot

Information
Boot up using the Startup Repair CD or Windows 7 DVD. (not the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disk) If you have a Netbook, you will need a CD/DVD drive.

NOTE: Make sure no USB drives are plugged in.
Do not use a USB Pendrive for Startup Repair.

1) Use the Rebuild BCD in this tutorial:
How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

2) Fix MBR.

NOTE: As you have Linux installed, the above only works for 1 in 1000, must likely you will need to reinstall.
Good luck.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/182909-recover-windows-7-boot-dual-boot-system-grub-masterboot.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Yeah I went and did something stupid - - I had a dual boot of Vista Ubuntu and I deleted the Ubuntu partition in vista and rebooted the comp before correcting the Boot menu So now when I re-start I get this Loading GRUB stage Loading Error I have run just about every test I know of I m running a Vista home on a Dell XPS I ve already ran chkdsk all of Dell s utilities Windows Vista Startup Repair etc Can someone help please EDIT Would fdisk mbr correct my problem Okay now I understand what the problem is The GRUB is looking for a partition that is not there and the binary isn t matching up I m at work right now so I have no way to test to fix it I just want to make sure I know how before I head home Options fdisk mbr FIXBOOT FIXMBR I think bootrec exe fixmbr and fixboot will correct my issue I would like to run it by you guys first nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-vista-boot-dual-boot-grub-error.107629/
Relevancy 89.01%

Ok here is the issue I have Redhat perhaps and Win XP Pro installed with grub as boot loader I forgot Redhat password since havent used it since ages Now I need to get into XP fdisk Issue Win (CD Drive to Grub XP Boot) unable to play around with partitions unpartitioned space but here is the issue I am facing I intend to boot Win XP Grub Issue (CD Drive unable to Boot) from CD drive Win XP bootable but selecting from boot options Win XP Grub Issue (CD Drive unable to Boot) by pressing F does not take me to CD ROM rather grub takes over and I get Win XP Grub Issue (CD Drive unable to Boot) that dual boot option which I Do not want I have CD rom as primary boot option in BIOS no help I intend to boot into XP CD room to remove grub or Linux altogether using fixmbr and then delete partitions but I am unable to get into cd ROM altogheter at boot time It goes to CD for a moment but grub takes over Is there some way to fix this issue I have access to a Win XP bootable ERD Commander Bootable and a USB drive Ok It does go to USB drive when I choose it by pressing F but I donno how to fixmbr remove grub using a USB drive and then normally boot into win Xp I have critical data on computer which I do not want to loose at any cost three years of hard work Its not picking up ERD Commander Bootable CD as well CD ROM is working perfect inside windows PS Precisely I need to get into Win XP recovery console but when CD Rom is not picked up at boot not much can be done though USB is but its MB USB Help appreciated

A:Win XP Grub Issue (CD Drive unable to Boot)

have you tried to take boot from hard drive disable. turn it back on after everthing is done.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/win-xp-grub-issue-cd-drive-unable-to-boot-180028.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Ok here is the issue I have Redhat perhaps and Win XP Pro installed with grub as boot loader I forgot Redhat password since havent used it since ages Now I need to get into XP Win Boot) (CD Drive to Issue unable Grub XP fdisk to play around with partitions unpartitioned space but here is the issue I am facing I intend to boot from CD Win XP Grub Issue (CD Drive unable to Boot) drive Win XP bootable but selecting from boot options by pressing F does not take me to CD ROM rather grub takes over Win XP Grub Issue (CD Drive unable to Boot) and I get that dual boot option which I Do not want I have CD rom as primary boot option in BIOS no help I intend to boot into XP CD room to remove grub or Linux altogether using fixmbr and then delete partitions but I Win XP Grub Issue (CD Drive unable to Boot) am unable to get into cd ROM altogheter at boot time It goes to CD for a moment but grub takes over Is there some way to fix this issue I have access to a Win XP bootable ERD Commander Bootable and a USB drive Ok It does go to USB drive when I choose it by pressing F but I donno how to fixmbr remove grub using a USB drive and then normally boot into win Xp I have critical data on computer which I do not want to loose at any cost three years of hard work Its not picking up ERD Commander Bootable CD as well CD ROM is working perfect inside windows Help appreciated

A:Win XP Grub Issue (CD Drive unable to Boot)

Boot from winxp bootable cd and the press r . U'll require administrator password. After this u'll have to select ur winxp partition. U'll see c:\windows. Now..
Type
cd.. (press enter)
fixboot c: (press enter)
fixmbr (press enter)
bootcfg /rebuild (press enter)

After this restart and u will see two winxp os ... select the working one (hit n try method) and then go to c: drive and edit boot.ini to remove the unwanted line.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/win-xp-grub-issue-cd-drive-unable-to-boot-180027.html
Relevancy 84.71%

I m not sure if this is the correct place to post but I hope admins can move it if so I think I m in a screwed position which is frustrating me Here s the story So basically my buddy asked me to format to / drive unable Hard External unpartitioned accidently Vista boot his computer that had linux in it Before I even started I backed up his personal pictures and files to my external hard drive Vista unable to boot / External Hard drive unpartitioned accidently After this was accomplished I began the process of Installing a fresh copy of Windows I accidently unpartitioned my External which has SATA GB Seagates in a Nexstar enclosure It isn t formatted just unpartitioned To fix this I acquired Partition Table Doctor I tried fixing the partition using this program but for some odd reason it didn t work I didn t Vista unable to boot / External Hard drive unpartitioned accidently really read the Guide to using this but I skimmed through it and it seemed pretty straight forward This didn t work and my laptop did regcognize the drive but didn t show up as Hard drives with letters attached My second problem is during this stage it said there was an error with sectors on my C drive It asked me if I wanted to fix it and so I did I rebooted my laptop once more and BOOM my Vista wouldn t boot and all I got was a black screen and some Funny Characters located at the top left part of the screen Can someone lead me to the write direction I m totally lost and not sure how to recover my files and fix my MBR at this point I m using the desktop computer I set up for my Buddy at the moment Any suggestions would be appreciated Cheers Zazazoom nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vista-unable-to-boot-external-hard-drive-unpartitioned-accidently.109687/
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi I am looking at Grub dos since my recent foray into all things bootloaders I am gaining a little footing with what I can and can't do practically Although it was definitely trickier than I thought or I just don't have the same time like I used to Anyhow I am looking partitions? to Boot Grub grub letters assign Can W7/XP using - Dual at Grub because it sounds easier to learn the Grub and all my systems are pre EFI bios setups I am looking for a 'Hoyle' maintainable setup Therefore I decided to quot initially quot install W on C and XP on D both on primary partitions But also I have an existing XP image that was originally installed on C Now Dual Boot W7/XP using Grub - Can grub assign letters to partitions? I read somewhere someone had a setup that would boot into a Master boot loader presumably Grub and then select one of two OSs and assign it C and run it and the other would become D while leaving E F G etc intact That would really be a sweet setup for me because I could then use my existing XP image still since it would still think it is on C while running So my question is before I dive headlong into Grub I know it would be the ideal bootloader for multi pre EFI bios But can it assign letters to partitions so as to switch C and D like that while leaving other partitions assigns as they are Just looking for a little confirmation and any tips Here goes nothin'

A:Dual Boot W7/XP using Grub - Can grub assign letters to partitions?

Why would you need to use Grub?

Take look at this:
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/287209-dual-boot-w7-xp-using-grub-can-grub-assign-letters-partitions.html
Relevancy 83.85%

HELP I am having an issue after Win updated Logged off my machine and noticed that it was installing an update So far the updates have been flawless but when I went to turn on my computer Thursday morning no boot Ran Startup repair a couple of times and got gt Problem event Name Startup Repair gt Problem Signature gt Problem Signature gt Problem Signature unknown gt Problem Signature gt Problem Signature AutoFailover gt Problem Signature gt Problem Signature NoRootCause gt Os version gt Local ID Tried booting from Win CD and doing repair as well - no luck Tried doing an F Dell and doing hardware diagnostics - no problems found Tried doing a system restore to a time earlier about weeks and finally got it to boot into the opening quot fireflies quot and the next screen however the next screen was black and only contained the ease-of-access the quot Windows Home Premium quot text and the shutdown options I could not log in Unfortunately I have client files on this computer as part time I do graphics illustrations and windows installed boot update to after Unable web design I am extremely frustrated Rick

A:Unable to boot after windows update installed

You can download a Linux rescue disk and retrieve your files if need be. Please read this information SystemRescueCd

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/97951-unable-boot-after-windows-update-installed.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I have got two HDs Segate and Western Digital each one GB Connected to one cable to IDE Segate is master and the Western Digital is slave First HD Segate master or hda is divided windows to boot and hda hdb,GRUB to GB NTFS for XP GB FAT for Storage and GB NTFS for win I had already installed both windows XP and Second HD Western Digital slave or hdb is divided to GB Solaris hdb to be installed later GB NTFS for Storage hdb MB Linux swap hdb GB ext Linux hdb I installed Linux FC on hdb and chose option for GRUB bootloader to be installed on quot dev hda Master Boot Record hda and hdb,GRUB to boot windows MBR quot When I finished the installation of Linux I was greeted by GRUB but when I tried to boot into windows I hda and hdb,GRUB to boot windows received this error message Booting quot Windows quot rootnoverify hd chaninloader Why was the partition for windows numbered with hd it should be hd because both windows were installed on first hard disk i e hd not hd Why was the root showing hd I had installed Linux on hdb hd not hda hd fdisk -l Code Disk dev hda GB bytes heads sectors track cylinders Units cylinders of bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System dev hda HPFS NTFS dev hda c W FAT LBA dev hda HPFS NTFS Disk dev hdb GB bytes heads sectors track cylinders Units cylinders of bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System dev hdb af Unknown dev hdb HPFS NTFS dev hdb Linux swap Solaris dev hdb Linux gedit boot grub menu lst Code Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file NOTICE You do not have a boot partition This means that all kernel and initrd paths are relative to eg root hd kernel boot vmlinuz-version ro root dev hdb initrd boot initrd-version img boot dev hdb default timeout splashimage hd boot grub splash xpm gz hiddenmenu title Fedora Core - FC root B hd B -------I said it should be hd kernel boot vmlinuz- - FC ro root LABEL rhgb quiet initrd boot initrd- - FC img title Windows rootnoverify B hd B -----I said it should be hd chainloader nbsp

A:hda and hdb,GRUB to boot windows

If you go to GRUB's command line and type root (hd1,0), does it show the correct partition type for Windows?

If so, you probably need to map the drives the other way around in GRUB, by

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)

Add those before root commands.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hda-and-hdb-grub-to-boot-windows.41301/
Relevancy 79.55%

Hello This is my first post as I have really struggled to find an answer to my questions I felt it was now appropriate grub manager boot with and 7 Windows So my problem is that I not only have a screwed installation Windows 7 with grub and boot manager of Windows Premium x on my second harddrive I have a messed up version of grub on my primary harddrive I recently bought ssd's to put into my Dell LX as it can with regular hdd's The previous hdd's had windows home premium x and honestly NEVER failed it As the young innocent fool I was I put fedora on the two newly inserted SSD's in my laptop The reason was I wanted it for development but I forgot the games are rubbish so thought I would move back to play something decent Anyway I formatted the ssd's and started the installation and then grub would load up on the primary ssd and fail when the windows restart is required during installation Grub would go into its saftey recovery mode As fedora was gone and sit doing nothing Now after a lot of installation things suggested to re-install the boot manager with the console and nothing happening I kind of gave up It then materialized that if I chose the second ssd to boot from again at the restart during the installation it worked fine this meant that the windows install is on my second ssd This is not to bad as I just changed the boot order However the great god Zeus has come down and ruined that for me as I can not install ANY of the windows updates and the installation likes to crash an awful lot My conclusion is that this just needs a new format So what I want to do is get rid of grub on the primary ssd Not a clue how to do it and then remove the boot manager from the second ssd and start the installation again The things I did to re-install the boot manager were to use bootrec and something else I can't find it now but that didn't work Anyway I really would appreciate any help Thanks

A:Windows 7 with grub and boot manager

Hello Budlee, welcome to Seven Forums!

I don't have a lot of time right now so I'm going to give you some reading to start, have a look through the information at the links below for some additional ideas and be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.
Clean Install : Factory COA Activation Key

To over-write the Grub boot-loader.

Information

It may be a help to over-write the HDD Master Boot Record (MBR) before you start any other procedure using the diskpart clean command, rather than the clean all; it takes just seconds to complete so you will have "unallocated" space to use either the Windows installer to create and format the partition(s) or use diskpart to create them, however you choose. SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

DISKPART : At PC Startup
If you want to completely wipe / over-write the entire Hard Disk Drive of any possible format errors, malware infection, for security purposes or just to get the best possible place to install Windows to, have a look at these tutorials. Secure Erase / Wipe : Definition and Methods

Additional Secure Erase / Wipe Information

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/247375-windows-7-grub-boot-manager.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hello new member here sorry to jump straight into my problem to need urgent help as I have work I need to access on my windows partition To the problem I have absolutely no clue as to the cause but directly after selecting windows from my 7 screen [Urgent] after boot Windows Won't Grub grub menu I get stuck on a black screen with a flashing cursor in the upper left corner of the screen like ' ' found in terminal I've tried leaving it like this for at least half an hour in hopes that it may load but no luck Luckily I also have Ubuntu installed [Urgent] Windows 7 Won't boot after Grub screen on a separate partition of the same harddrive leading me to believe that it isn't a hardware fault But when I try to access the windows partition from ubuntu I get the following error No idea what it means but seems something has gone wrong with the partition that Windows is on This seemed to happen while I was away from the computer I had left it running with Firefox open while I went downstairs to have dinner upon my return I sound the Ubuntu logon screen displayed ubuntu is default operating system to load from grub menu So that about leaves me where I am now trying to find a solution [Urgent] Windows 7 Won't boot after Grub screen Not sure if it helps but here are some specs Acer Aspire G Intel Core Duo T GHz Nvidia GeForce GT M GB RAM GB HDD OS Windows Home Premium and Ubuntu Any help is [Urgent] Windows 7 Won't boot after Grub screen greatly appreciated and I hope you generous folk are able to help me fix this Thanks

A:[Urgent] Windows 7 Won't boot after Grub screen

Sorry to double post, I couldn't find an option for editing my original post. But thought I'd also post a screenshot of the HDD as taken from Disk utility:

The 262GB Acer partition is almost full (about 2GB free space left) Not sure if that makes any difference. In addition, I have been hibernating the computer a lot while games were running, again, just throwing info out that may help diagnose the problem.

Thanks again!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/urgent-windows-7-wont-boot-after-grub-screen-571612.html
Relevancy 78.69%

I was hoping there is a bootloader wiz out there who can help me with this problem.

Basically, I started with Xp, then installed ubuntu, then windows 7. I installed grub so I could try to load all 3. That's when I started having problems booting xp (when I try to select it i get a blank screen).

So I uninstalled grub, leaving me with the windows 7 boot loader with the option to select windows 7 or xp, but it still won't boot. Since I uninstalled grub I am thinking it is a problem with windows 7.

As a side note, the windows 7 boot loader is in the xp partition. Also, I was able to boot xp from grub just fine after installing ubuntu.

Here is a post I made with some more details: Cannot boot xp from grub in multiboot - Linux Forums

A:XP doesn't boot after installing windows 7 & grub

Hi,

From within 7, go to folder options and show hidden files.
There should be a boot.ini on the Xp partition.

Rt click it and select Edit.

Is it pointing at the second partition (I assume XP is on the second partition now?).

If not, d/l this, rt click >properties>unblock>Apply>ok.

BOOTini-0-2.zip

Unzip it and copy the boot.ini file onto the XP partition - overwrite the existing one.

Hope it helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/54282-xp-doesnt-boot-after-installing-windows-7-grub.html
Relevancy 78.69%

how do i make windows "2000/nt/xp loader" the default choice on the grub 1.5 boot loader? i have 4 other choices and windows is at the bottom. i have ubuntu 9.04 and it's recovery (i have 2 sets of thse but they do the same thing). it automatically loads ubuntu 9.04 after a few seconds. How can i make it choose windows by default and maybe even decrease the timeout? (i'm willing to do this inside windows or ubuntu if needed i cannot do this from within grub). Much thanks for any help =).

A:How to make windows the default boot on grub 1.5?

Boot ubuntu and browse up to the root folder using
the file manager.
Then go to boot/grub folder.
Once there open the file menu,lst.
Move the windows entry to the top.
Make sure it is typed just as it is.
You can change the timeout there too.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-make-windows-the-default-boot-on-grub-1-5.849709/
Relevancy 78.69%

I have used spyhunter without knowing its actual quality and now i cant use my pc, since my knowelage of commads in grub is none i would apreciate help.

A:cant boot windows 7 64bit trough grub

Hello, and Welcome,

Is this a dual boot system? If it is you can try to repair grub automatically. Download the Boot-Repair iso, burn the image. Boot the computer and then select Recommended Repair.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/546643/cant-boot-windows-7-64bit-trough-grub/
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi all I am retired living kilometers from the nearest city I just bought a used high spec computer which had Windows Ultimate installed on the one SSD and Linux on the other SSD At my request the seller generously uninstalled Linux and formatted the SSD When I now start my computer I get the message GNU GRUB version beta - Minimal BASH - 7 2.02 GNU beta2-9 Windows boot won't Ultimate - version GRUB like line editing is supported For the first word TAB lists possible command completions Anywhere elseTAB lists possible device or file completions grub gt When disconnecting the second SSD it boots well but then I obviously don't have use of the second SSD I have since Friday been reading on the web and whilst there seems to be an Ubuntu cure for this I have absolutely no Windows 7 Ultimate won't boot - GNU GRUB version 2.02 beta2-9 idea what it refers to I used to think I have an average knowledge of computers But clearly I don't Please help if you can as my computer is my only company Thanks amp kind regards

A:Windows 7 Ultimate won't boot - GNU GRUB version 2.02 beta2-9

Hi Zelle, and Welcome,

You might be better off posting this in the linux forum.

Grub is more of a linux thing and I am sure someone will know how to remove it,

Good luck 

Hedge

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/589333/windows-7-ultimate-wont-boot-gnu-grub-version-202-beta2-9/
Relevancy 77.83%

thank u so much for this good tutorial,i have downloaded the windows 7 7264 for x86,my problem is that now i have two operating systems:
1)XP Sp2
2)Linux Fedora

now my boot loader is GRUB and with that i select which of them start,the default is windows Xp, now i want to delete linux and just have windows xp and then install windows 7.
so i think i shoud first change bootloader and then install windows7,but i don't know how to do this this.can u plz help me?

another thing where can i see windows7 requirements,and the file system for installing it shoud be NTFS is it right?
at least how many GBs shoud i have for installing it?

tnx

A:Remove GRUB with XP as dual boot to install Windows 7?

any solution?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/17651-remove-grub-xp-dual-boot-install-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi all I m trying to re-install the Windows boot manager on my system in (to boot 7 GRUB) manager Windows Solved: replace Re-install place of the GRUB boot manager that is currently used I Solved: Re-install Windows 7 boot manager (to replace GRUB) ve read in most places that you can use the Win disc and Startup Recovery gt Command Prompt then the bootrec FixMBR bootrec FixBoot options however I m having a problem In the dialog with title Startup Recovery Options from where you can pick the operating system to recover I have none listed If I select Load Drivers I can see the the drive with my Windows installation but the dialog can t Furthermore if I proceed without picking an OS and use bootrec ScanOS from the command prompt it tells me there is a Windows installation If I then try to cd D it just echos quot D quot on a new line and the prompt returns to X the disk I m booting from I suppose I ve tried EasyBCD fails out can t find any OSes and msconfig Boot tab no OSes there either This is driving me mad no searches seem to mention this problem just explaining how bootrec works so any help would be appreciated Cheers Paul nbsp

Relevancy 76.54%

this is what I did since I have no CD-ROM to install Win I created a partion X NTFS and set it as the ACTIVE ONE the put there the Windows installation files and opened prompt command to type bootsect exe n X next I restarted my computer and automatically it booted into the Windows setup partitiion Windows installed or files in manager boot boot wrong I installed Windows on the partition C Windows boot files or boot manager installed in wrong partitiion and formatted the partition C everything installed and after the installation finished a multiple choice menu appears that reads Windows Windows boot files or boot manager installed in wrong partitiion Windows Setup I believe my error was not to set partition C back as the active one during the installation process where it asks you in which partition to install I just formatted C but forgot to set it as the ACTIVE ONE I have partition in total but there is no need to put them all just the ones that are involved this is how my partitions look Cboot page file crash dump primary partition XSystem Active Primary partition lt lt lt this one became hidden Code Windows Boot Manager -------------------- identifier bootmgr device device partition Device HarddiskVolume description Windows Boot Manager locale en-US inherit globalsettings integrityservices Enable default current resumeobject d e - - e -b f -efb b a displayorder current dcc -fafe- d -b - eba f toolsdisplayorder memdiag timeout Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier current device partition C path Windows system winload exe description Windows locale en-US inherit bootloadersettings recoverysequence d e - - e -b f -efb b a integrityservices Enable recoveryenabled Yes allowedinmemorysettings x osdevice partition C systemroot Windows resumeobject d e - - e -b f -efb b a nx OptIn bootmenupolicy Standard Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier dcc -fafe- d -b - eba f device ramdisk boot sources boot wim dcc -fafe- d -b - eba f path windows system boot winload exe description Windows Setup locale en-US inherit bootloadersettings osdevice ramdisk boot sources boot wim dcc -fafe- d -b - eba f systemroot windows bootmenupolicy Standard detecthal Yes winpe Yes ems No what I want is to make the X partition a worthless partition just containing the Windows installation files and that everything looks like if I installed from a CD-ROM rather than from a partition please tell in BCDEDIT commands does that mean I have to move the boot files or boot manager into C I also would like to remove the multiple choice screen but more important is to make X partition a worthless partition

A:Windows boot files or boot manager installed in wrong partitiion

Please post back a screenshot of your maximized Disk Management drive map and listings:

1. Type Disk Management in Start Search box.
2. Open Disk Mgmt. window and maximize it.
3. Type Snipping Tool in Start Search box.
4. Open Snipping Tool, choose Rectangular Snip, click New, draw a box around full drive map and all listings.
5, Save Snip, attach using paper clip in Reply Box.

Tell us what is on each partition.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/270703-windows-boot-files-boot-manager-installed-wrong-partitiion.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hey,

I have got an 80gb hard drive that was once split into two 40gb partitons, 1 boot (primary partition) and 1 extended (logical drive). I decided to format, then delete the extended partiton and was hoping that i could resize the primary partiton to accomodate the unallocated space. Unfortunetly, I am trying to extend it and keep getting a message in Disk Management saying "you can only extend the volume to the available space shown because your disk cannot be converted to dynamic or the volume being extended is a boot or system volume".
The 'available space' is no more then the current size of the partition (40gb).

Why are you not allowed to extend a boot partition and if possible is their a solution?

A:Extend Boot Partiton

Hi, sadly you cannot extend a boot volume. You could try downloading and using Ultimate Boot CD and some of the partitions tools on it to do this (Partition Manager), but I can't guarantee the PC will boot afterwards

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/extend-boot-partiton-428540.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hai All,

I am using Dell inspiron 1720 since long time. Now i am facing a problem with PC and i want to boot the system from the recovery partiotion( it is in D drive).I am using MaCfee antivirus for last 3 years.Last week i boot my system then i saw that MaFee is not there and i am not able to access internet explorer and even other application.I guess some virus has made some registry changes. Since last 6 months when i boot my system i used to get a blue screen saying that BOOT_MEMORY problem consult a technician.
Now i want to reboot my system from my System Recovery Partion ...please hlp me in this case...My operating system is windows vista and i don't have the Cd for tha same. but i have product key number...

Please help me...

A:boot from recovery partiton

If I remember correctly you will need to press F10 at boot to get to the recovery options on a Dell

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/boot-from-recovery-partiton-488437.html
Relevancy 75.68%

I have a laptop drive with a FAT32 C: drive and an NTFS partiton E: drive. I would like to combine the two and just have one drive C: taking up the whole drive without losing any data. I tried using Partition Manager Express, but it refused to do what I wanted; it would create a new partition, but not combine C: and E:. How can I end up with a single drive without having to wipe everything out? I am using WINXP Home. Thanks.

A:Resizing boot partiton in XP

Are the two partitions adjacent to each other or is there a D: in between? I believe partition magic can only combine adjacent partitions. If they are adjacent, have you tried converting C: to NTFS first and then combining them?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/resizing-boot-partiton-in-xp-338730.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi there,

I've been trying for a couple of hours and can't seem to find a solution.

Now, I've installed Win 7 (Professional) on the same as XP is installed. When I try to boot from HDD, I only get the XP entries, but can only boot Win7 through.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you.

A:Installed 7 on same partition as XP unable to boot the former

Okay then. Nevermind. I installed the bootloader on a different partition and set the bios to boot from that partition. works now.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/149703-installed-7-same-partition-xp-unable-boot-former.html
Relevancy 74.82%

have yr old desktop which had XP 'Vista capable' This spring had a tech install Vista upgrade but he kept the XP and then was able to keep my programmes table' 'boot partiton message in data I have tried running XP but it comes with an error message saying parts are corrupt My current MAJOR problem is I now get an error message on a blank blue or black can't remember the colour screen every time I restart the computer saying 'book partiton in table' yes partition is spelled wrong in the message To bypass this I have to F and do 'last known 'boot partiton in table' message good config' or similar This is all a really big pain as I have to restart 'boot partiton in table' message several times each day to 'boot partiton in table' message keep everything running I do plan on buying a new system in the next few months and at that time doing a clean install of Vista on this system however I really need it to run properly until that time Please please help me get read of this error message and be able to start restart the system properly Thanks much Christine British Columbia Canada

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/boot-partiton-in-table-message-300557.html
Relevancy 74.39%

When i boot up my computer it doesnt reach the user login screen before it loads of startup repair. It looks for a fix but it doesnt find one. In the diagnosis the only error it shows is 'Boot critical file C:\Windows\system32\drivers\vmbus.sys is corrupt'. I have booted kaspersky repair disk and run a full scan which found no viruses or malware etc. From the startup repair window i have tried a system restore which had the same problem when attempting to boot. I can only access the system recovery options screen.

I am running windows 7 32bit, and i dont have a windows 7 disk but do have the windows 7 32bit iso file that i used to install windows 7.

I would be grateful for any help to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

A:Unable to boot into Windows 7: Boot critical file C:\Windows\system32\drivers\vmbus.sys is corrupt

but do have the windows 7 32bit iso file that i used to install windows 7
so burn the win7 iso to dvd and see if you can boot to it and run the repair

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/438268/unable-to-boot-into-windows-7-boot-critical-file-cwindowssystem32driversvmbussys-is-corrupt/
Relevancy 74.39%

Hey guys I am boot Windows Windows dual 8 Black up. 8 installed, Screen! boot won't having an issue when installing the consumer preview So I downloaded the W iso off of Microsoft's site I burned it to a Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! DVD with GB free of storage I even bought a new set of DVDs Anyways I downloaded the iso I downloaded the USB DVD download tool there I burned my iso to the DVD So I then create a partition on my computer I gave the new partition GB of storage I rebooted my computer pressed F and access the burned DVD So I click custom installation and I install the new OS onto the partition with GB I named it the partition Windows so I wouldn't get confused I clicked it and installed Windows onto it Anyways once it extracts the data and installs all Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! the Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! updates my computer screen goes black for a few seconds Then it load's the fish icon and then goes black It loads nothing and it just stays there I have tried using the startup repair and it cannot fix it I decided to reinstall the OS but format the partition and then install It does the same exact thing Anyways how do I get rid of the black screen Windows won't boot up I allowed a dual boot by the way so I still have windows but I really want to try Windows I followed this guide if anyone was wondering

A:Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen!

I'm having similar issues with Vista and W8. I put W8 on an empty and freshly created partition.
I can get W8 to run but then on every restart or reboot I can not get back to Vista from the "blue dual boot screen". I select Vista as the OS, the laptop goes to the Acer splash screen and then the screen goes black and the HDD light goes off completely. And that's it. Have to do a forced shutdown holding power button and then on next reboot it will go to Vista.
Fortunately I have full Acronis disk images so I can just revert back to before all this but like you I really want to try W8.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/4556-windows-8-dual-boot-installed-windows-8-wont-boot-up-black-screen.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hey Everyone

I've recently tried installing windows 10 on my machine and run into a problem.So far im unable to get passed the windows boot screen with the spinning circle getting stuck or none at all.But when I either remove my gpu(980ti) from the system or boot into safe mode it works flawlessly. I have ruled out the possibilities that its a driver issue because its a total clean install,or a psu issue as I've been running the computer for over a year with the setup (850 psu )
If anyone has any input that would be awesome, Thanks again

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/69168-unable-boot-into-clean-install-gpu-installed.html
Relevancy 73.96%

I used a windows image in transfer my computer to a new ssd drive. The image copied even the hd size. The ssd is a 256 and my old hd was a 160. I now have 150gb boot section, a 100mb reserve and a 90gb unallocated space. what can I do to remove the partition and combine the space so I have access to the full drive? I searched and couldnt find anything.

TIA

A:removing unallocated partiton on boot drive

Quote: Originally Posted by jayulzvern

what can I do to remove the partition and combine the space so I have access to the full drive?

Remove what partition?

The unallocated space is not a partition. It's unallocated space.

You can add the unallocated space to C via Windows Disk Management IF AND ONLY IF the unallocated space is immediately to the right of C, contiguous with it, as displayed in Windows Disk Management.

If the unallocated space is anywhere else, you will have to use a tool such as Partition Wizard bootable disc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/240245-removing-unallocated-partiton-boot-drive.html
Relevancy 73.53%

After deleting the partition on which Ubuntu was installed and enlarging the windows partition to fill the old space at the same time( stupid I know), I am unable to boot to Windows 7. All I see is a command line message that says Unknown File System and on the next line says Grub Rescue> with the option to input commands. After looking at this forum and Ubuntu forums I'm still unable to resolve the issue. I would like to be able to boot into windows 7.

A:Unable to boot Windows 7 after unistalling Ubuntu Dual boot

You'll have to restore your Master Boot Record. See this tutorial:

MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/132252-unable-boot-windows-7-after-unistalling-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi In my hard-disk i have total partition copy windows D data E HP Recovery Manager and F Windows Therefore Initial Stage where Windows Boot Manager loads i use to get two option whether want to load from windows or Windows vista But some few days back my pc were infected with trojon etc Then i used HP Recovery Manager to Unable Windows Problem to in in 7, Boot Manager. Boot restore my PC to default factory settings After Unable to Boot in Windows 7, Problem in Boot Manager. re-installing Windows Vista from the Recovery manager I reconize that i Unable to Boot in Windows 7, Problem in Boot Manager. am unable to boot to my Windows I think Boot Manager has been disturbed If i place Windows DVD then windows files load and then hangs for few mins and then message displays that quot Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer If you continue to receive this error message contact the hardware manufacturer Status xc e Info An unexpected I O error has occurred quot I dint Attach any removable storage to my pc I have tried EasyBCD but installation stops in middle and program exits without installing it Therefore how to boot from Windows and fix the Boot Manager where i can load in both the windows version So can anyone help with it as soon as possible because need to update many office files Thanks in advance Bye

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/421623/unable-to-boot-in-windows-7-problem-in-boot-manager/
Relevancy 71.81%

Just got a GTX 980 (Asus reference) and when I've got it installed it freezes at "Starting Windows" and I have to hold the power button it to restart it.

When trying to boot to safe mode, the computer hangs on classpnp.sys

I know it's not the graphics card as it boots on my friend's computer and I know it's not a huge deal with the computer as when I reinstall my EVGA GTX 660ti the computer boots fine.

Any ideas? I've made sure it's properly seated with the 2x6pin inserted correctly. I've also tried reinstalling the geforce experience drivers.

A:Newly installed 980, unable to boot (safe mode freezes at classpnp.sys

Have you tried running a Starup Repair

Startup Repair

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/356310-newly-installed-980-unable-boot-safe-mode-freezes-classpnp-sys.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Ok...
The other day i try to load xp and it hangs. I have a dual boot sys with XPprosp1 and redhat with GRUB as my loader. I try safe mode xp and it hangs on agp440. So i try to boot from the xp cd to recovery console. Unfortunately i screw up when inputting my admin password and it kicks me. I try again but now i can't boot from the cd. After bios it says "boot from cd" but then jumps right to GRUB, completelt bypassing the boot cd AND a boot disk. I can get to redhat fine (thank god) but cant get to the recovery console. Did i screw myself permanently when i flubbed the admin passwd or is it GRUB?

Relevancy 71.38%

Win x Acer- Everything seems to be working fine but as the title suggests when i unable disk Boot and in Menu, access boot to to Unable System Recovery tap F the Advanced boot options DO appear but when i engage quot Repair Windows quot it just goes into a normal boot Ive tried booting from my installation CD that i've purchased from Acer but Unable to access System Recovery in Boot Menu, and unable to boot disk does nothing And Yes My CD Drive is working as well having this set as top priority in BIOS and CD is in good condition In addition to this ive tried using the quot Advanced Recovery options quot from within Windows itself but when i go to click restart computer i get an error message with red-x stating windows is unable to restart Additional info that may be relevant is that a few months ago i had a friend work on my computer because windows wouldnt boot at all When My laptop was returned to me everything was fresh but there was missing programs etc He said he had to format the hard drive to get it up and running again Anyway i appreciate any help as to what i should i do next or answer any questions you may have-Thank-you

A:Unable to access System Recovery in Boot Menu, and unable to boot disk

Quote:
He said, he had to format the hard drive to get it up and running again.

What type of Windows DVD was used?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/325567-unable-access-system-recovery-boot-menu-unable-boot-disk.html
Relevancy 70.52%

hi there i ve been trying to install linux on my PC for a while i ve tried Red Hat knoppix SUSE Fedora core and core not that they dont get installed BUT cannot make the system dualboot and because i can and GRUB... ... dual boot help not get the internet configured properly I end up deleting linux Since this year i still haven t tried any linux yet i decided to have another go downloaded Fedora Core since its dual boot and GRUB... help ... quiet a new dual boot and GRUB... help ... release The only way i maneged to install FC is when i unplugged the XP SATA drive from the PC otherwise there was a no go it was the same for the other linux versions aswell as soon as i unpluged the XP hdd the installation ran as smooth as a hot knive through dual boot and GRUB... help ... butter by the way FC is installed on a IDE PATA drive and the XP is on a SATA drive now i have FC and XP on the PC but if i want to boot XP i have to unplug the FC HDD when i was installing FC i also installed GRUB with XP as a non-detected during install when i choose to run XP from the GRUB menu i get an error no device the entry for XP in GRUB rootnoverify hd chainloader how can i change the GRUB code to make it look for XP on the SATA drive the posts and forums i ve looked so far don t help much at least they don t help me i m sure the solution is probably a simple one any help would be apreciated PS I can start FC from GRUB no problem and i ve set XP as default in GRUB PS forgot to mention now the only way i can start winXP is when the FC drive is off nbsp

A:dual boot and GRUB... help ...

Assuming Windows is actually able to boot with the changed drive ordering..

The rootnoverify line says which BIOS hard drive GRUB should look at. You can try sth like "rootnoverify (hd1,0)"

Mind you, operating systems usually fail to boot when hard drive ordering changes.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-and-grub-help.50263/
Relevancy 70.52%

Acer Aspire laptop running Windows gb ram rest is stock My HDD Failed and stopped booting i was getting No boot device found when i woke up in Error USB Can't Grub boot from - the morning but then i'd reboot and it was Can't boot from USB - Grub Error fine one day it wasn't fine and stopped booting Now if i let it try and boot after post i can hear it working hard but it just goes to black I've had problems with this HDD before so my plan was to boot to a recuse USB backup my data and then reinstall windows but I can't get any USB to boot I've made a Kaspersky and a Gparted USB and both give me Grub Error symbol grub isprint not found then goes into rescue mode Does anyone know why this is happening I have zero clue as to what to do this has always worked in the past Edit So i tried to make a windows install usb and now it just goes to what looks like a full screen command prompt with the under score blinking

A:Can't boot from USB - Grub Error

So, the Kaspersky and GParted USB drives can both successfully enter Rescue Mode?  It's just that there's an error before they do it?
If that's the case, then it's likely that this is a bug in GRUB:  https://www.google.com/search?q=Grub+Error+symbol+grub+isprint+not+found&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

If that's not the case, then try the bootable MemTest86+ USB (free from here:  http://www.memtest.org/#downiso )
If that works, then the system appears OK (and I'd have to wonder about the Kaspersky and GParted USB drives)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579418/cant-boot-from-usb-grub-error/
Relevancy 70.52%

Yes, I know this question belongs in the kali linux forum. Here it is there:
https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...e-does-GRUB-go
This forum is just way more helpful.
////
I am trying to do a dual boot on windows 10 with a Gateway NE56R49U laptop.
My partitions are in the following picture: [ ext4 is where Kali is going]
http://imgur.com/B7gAo3v

Which partition do I install GRUB to?
ie: (/dev/sda)

Do I have to do anything to get it to boot correctly since linux requires Legacy Bios and Windows requires UEFI? If so, what? If I wanted to install Ubuntu, should I do that first and then install Kali? Would that make this easier for me?

I appreciate all the help I can get.
Thanks.

A:Where would I put GRUB for a dual boot?

It depends which bootloader you want to use. Personally, I use Grub, specifically Burg - this is what it looks like:

I have Mint and Windows on my SSD (dev/sda) - which has Grub in that MBR.

Recently I messed with the partitions on my second HDD (dev/sdb) and lost Windows boot - Grub's osprober found windows OK but windows still would not boot
Macruim Reflect's "fix Windows boot" only managed to overwrite Grub, but the boot error persisted.
The way I fixed it was re-installing Grub from Live, then running diskpart from the Win install media to get the system and windows drive letters - ran chkdsk /f /r on both those - came out clean - what fixed it was bcdboot [windows drive letter]:/windows.

Just relaying my experience as something to bear in mind when setting yours up.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/49253-where-would-i-put-grub-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hello forums,
I recently successfully installed an Ubuntu/Windows 8.1 dual-boot, however soon stripped the Ubuntu partitions using Partition manager in Windows. I accidentally rebooted my system while faffing around in some advanced options and am now stuck in GRUB without means of a rescue drive. Any help would be much appreciated,

Ben

A:Grub boot nightmare

Do you not have any external bootable media for your system? Do you have any way of getting some version, possibility even a Windows 7 or the 8.1 Enterprise version so you can make a bootable DVD or flash drive?

Did you install Ubuntu as a Legacy install, or a UEFI? Have you tried using the Bios to set the Windows Boot Manager as primary boot device, or use a Boot Device Menu to see if there are options other than the GRUB?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/49590-grub-boot-nightmare.html
Relevancy 70.52%

When ever i try to turn my pc on it shows GRUB on a black screen
i have installed WUBI 9.04 ubantu linux now i cant log in to any os

Sorry if in wrong section

A:GRUB Shows at boot up

Boot with your Win7 installation CD. When prompted, press R to repair or select repair in the GUI if that apears, select your Win7 installation to repair. Probably #1
Enter the administrator password if you are prompted for it.
To repair the MBR, type in this command: fixmbr hit enter
You will get some prompts, type Y and hit enter to carry out the repair.
Type exit to leave the console and then reboot.

You will loose the dual boot for WUBI into Ubuntu, but it will/should get you back into windows bootup. If you are triple booting you may loose that as well.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/10893-grub-shows-boot-up.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Acer Aspire 5349 laptop running
Windows 7
6gb ram
rest is stock

My HDD Failed and stopped booting, i was getting "No boot device found" when i woke up in the morning but then i'd reboot and it was fine, one day it wasn't fine and stopped booting. Now if i let it try and boot after post i can hear it working hard but it just goes to black.
I've had problems with this HDD before so my plan was to boot to a recuse USB, backup my data and then reinstall windows but I can't get any USB to boot.

I've made a Kaspersky and a Gparted USB and both give me "Grub Error symbol grub isprint not found"
then goes into rescue mode.
Does anyone know why this is happening? I have zero clue as to what to do, this has always worked in the past.

A:Can't boot from USB - Grub Error

I wouldn't use GParted for data rcovery, it is a Partition Editor. Use a Regular Linux distro, like Ubuntu, or Fedora etc.

Use Linux Live USB Creator, http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

Once created, use the distros file manager to navigate to your windows hard drive, copy and paste your data to your recovery location.

Check to make sure your failed drive is recognized in the BIOS.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cant-boot-from-usb-grub-error-1006314.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I ve got PCLinuxOS installed as the other operating system besides win xp I had lilo installed on the boot on boot wanna grub get menu sector of the drive where PCLinuxOS was installed i got tired with lilo errors and had to overwrite it with grub boot loader I wanna get grub menu on boot somehow managed to get grub installed and running i still have windows bootloader in MBR and it redirects it to grub and i can start boot PCLinuxOS with grub commands now the main problem i want grub to display a menu list like it usually does instead of the commandline its really boring typing commands whenever u wanna boot PCLinuxOS there s no file as such etc grub conf all i have is boot grub menu lst example now ppl do i need to do some editing or create a file something like etc grub conf or something i m not sure tat s y i m posting here looking for some real solutions from u quot tech quot guys thx nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wanna-get-grub-menu-on-boot.536031/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hello everyone I ve got a big problem I have a Dell Optiplex GX desktop in here and until today I had installed Debian on it However today I wanted to install Windows and remove Debian The problem however was get into bios, damaged, can't Can't CD boot grub ROM that I couldn t get into Bios to change the boot system so I couldn t boot the CD Rom I searched for a tutorial and found out how to add a boot cd option to Grub I did that and I tried to install Windows It went fine until the part where I had to assign a HD to the windows installation I removed my current disks to assign it to the windows installation Can't get into bios, grub damaged, can't boot CD ROM However immediately after that I got the blue screen error Basically what has happened now is that Grub lost some important files and it gives me this error Error I cannot acces Bios I tried everything F F F F Delete everything The motherboard also doesn t have PS support so I should work with a USB keyboard I guess I m lost now I don t know what to do I want my computer to be able to boot the cd but I can t change any settings and I keep getting this grub error now Anyone can help me with this Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-get-into-bios-grub-damaged-cant-boot-cd-rom.982217/
Relevancy 69.66%

I am stuck.

Fresh install of everything:
* 10mb partition in the front for Grub to live
* Allowed Win7 (enterprise, 64bit) to make its 100mb partition next
* Win7 "C" drive next (175gb)
* Ubuntu (ext3) partition next (~75gb)
Everything was going ok - both Win7 & Ubuntu were co-existing nicely. Ran Symantec Ghost and made an image of the whole disk. Even copied the image back to the computer - and it worked great.

Began installing apps into Win7 - in particular, Visual Studio 2008. Ran Windows Update, installed ok - but wanted to restart. Restarted.

Now in infinite loop where it flashes "grub" on the screen and goes right back to the Bios screen and boots again.
Searched this forum - tried to run a win7 Startup Repair as recommended. Nadda.
Tried to copy the disk image back to the computer and start over w/ installing apps.
STILL NADDA
Now I'm stuck. Advice?

A:Dual boot - now Grub is trashed

Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu in Perfect Harmony - windows 7 - Lifehacker

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/73030-dual-boot-now-grub-trashed.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hello,

I am trying to remove Ubuntu from a hard drive and replace with Windows 7 (I have the CD). At first I changed settings in BIOS to boot from CD but when I rebooted with the Windows 7 CD in, it still went straight to linux. So I removed the Harddrive and connected it to my other computer and used windows partition manager to completely format the drive to a blank partition. I put the HDD back in the laptop and rebooted. Now I get:

error: unknown filesystem
grub rescue> _

please help, I cannot find the solution in any forums to get my computer to boot from the CD now that GRUB is blocking it!

Thanks,

G

Relevancy 69.66%

Good Morning I have been running a quad boot system Windows new Windows older version Windows and recently I added Linux mint Windows new is on a SSD Windows Old is on a separate SSD Windows is on separate hard drive as was Mint Now Mint is on it's own SSD All was working perfectly booting each using Easy BCD So then I got the bright idea to add a new SSD for my Linux took boot over Grub process. Linux Which I did my mistake I think without unplugging all the other drives Now Grub is what boots first and gives me the option of Linux or Windows If I select windows it then restarts and goes to my Easy BCD screen for selecting which OS to run Tried unplugging all the drives except windows but the system wont boot Tried running boot repair from the windows start up disk several time and again won't fix it with all the drives connected or with each connected alone How can I remove grub and get back my normal Easy BCD boot screen Don't really want to re install everything

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/62185-linux-grub-took-over-my-boot-process.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I haven't downloaded sysinfo because it is another computer I have the problem with.
I told someone that I wanted to get rid of the ubuntu that is duel booted with xp on my desktop computer. Thinking that they were helping me they deleted the ubuntu os. This left me with an inability to access the xp, and a screen that has "grub rescue" on it. I don't know if this it the correct place to post this problem. If it is not please move it and let me know.

Relevancy 69.66%

Ok Hi Guys amp Girls To start off - Moderators you may like to move this post to another thread if its not suited here I have spent a week of nights trying every posted solution I could find in the end I had to come up with a solution of my own I have posted this in the hope that it helps XP with Boot Dual Grub Vista & anyone with a similar problem My Dual Boot Vista & XP with Grub objective was to dual boot Dual Boot Vista & XP with Grub Vista and XP on a HP laptop quot So one HDD quot with a linux distro installed on a backup partition along with images of the vista and xp drives -Laptops are for a mobile classroom- I wanted both of the installations to look like they were the only os when the pc has booted So both vista and xp installed to their own C drive while being unable to see the other os's partition Up front problems -I only have a copy of the Vista restore cd's for the laptop and no normal Vista install cd -I needed to hide one drive from another -I did not know how to go about installing two different copy's of windows on the same hard drive without having different partition letters drive letters -I needed a backup solution that would work under linux so that the students couldn't just play with it --------------------------------------------------------------------- There may be better solutions around -Here is mine- This is in order of events -Restore vista install from recovery cd's -shrink the vista partition Right click on computer go to manage quot disk management quot -Reboot into linux live cd i user the quot system rescue cd quot it has all the tools you need and can be easily installed on the linux partition you will create -Use Gparted to remove the HP recovery partition -Use Gparted to create a ext format partition in the empty space of the drive Mine was around Gig - The laptops have a Gig HDD -Mount the ext partition e g 'sudo mount dev sda mnt sda ' you will have to create the sda folder in the mnt directory before you mount the drive -Use FSarchiver to do a complete backup of your vista partition to your ext drive -When complete with no errors Use Gparted to delete the ntfs partition where vista was -Use Gparted to create a partition on the drive the size that you would like for XP NOTE in Gparted you MUST tell it how much blank space you would like before the partition starts I have Gig----- This must be enough to fit Vista So now you have a backup of Vista and your HDD should have blank space then an ntfs partition for XP and then a ext partition for the backups and linux -Reboot and install xp to your ntfs partition no need to format that has been done-- Do NOT install xp onto the blank space on the drive thats for vista This will install XP on C drive however C is mid way in the HDD so XP will look for the boot sector at the start of its partition So from here it is simple -Reboot into the live cd quot system rescue cd quot -mount your ext partition -Use fsarchiver to do a backup of your XP Partition -Use Gparted to create a ntfs partition in the blank space of the drive -Use fsarchiver to restore your Vista backup to the new partition Now you have both os's on your system as if they are on c IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT REBOOT UNTIL YOU COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING -Install grub if you are using 'system rescue cd' and your linux partition is on 'sda ' your code shout look something like this grub-install --root-directory mnt sda boot dev sda -Navigate to the boot folder on 'sda ' and edit your grub menu lst file -----IT MUST BE RIGHT----- or when you reboot you wont have any luck this is where you hide the drives and tell the computer what os you want to boot Mine looks like this for XP and Vista title Win XP unhide hd hide hd rootnoverify hd chainloader makeactive title Win XP unhide hd hide hd rootnoverify hd chainloader makeactive And thats it As i said there may be easier solutions out there however I couldn't find them Good luck hope this helps someone

A:Dual Boot Vista & XP with Grub

If there are any questions please let me know and I will get back to you when I can ... Cheers.. l8r

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dual-boot-vista-and-xp-with-grub-403327.html
Relevancy 69.66%

My PC has Windows XP and Linux operating together with GRUB boot loader. I have to reload XP, and when I insert windows OS CD, it encounters GRUB boot loader and hangs.

How to reload XP... i.e. how to get past GRUB boot loader.

Murali

A:Reloading XP on PC with GRUB boot loader

One effective way to bypass this is use a live CD, specifically G-Parted (Gnome Partition Editor).

Download ISO, Burn to disc, load it in your system on boot... From there, all you need to do is reformat the drive and then load your XP disc. All should be fine from there.

G-Parted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php
* Remember, get the Live CD.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reloading-xp-on-pc-with-grub-boot-loader.607764/
Relevancy 69.66%

Recently I have bought an HP Notebook - 14-ac003tu laptop and successfully installed Windows 7 Ultimate. I did not delete pre-installed partitions like DOS and HPDocs. I found that when I turn on the computer, it displays boot manager (looks like GRUB - I am familiar with Linux) that made me have to wait 30 seconds or click 'Enter' or 'b' button to boot Windows 7. I am sure it was not Windows Boot Manager, since I am familiar with it's display. My question is: How to hide the boot manager, so I can automatically boot to Windows 7 after I turn on the computer?Looking forward for responds from anyone.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Hide-quot-GRUB-like-quot-Boot-Manager/td-p/5656869
Relevancy 69.66%

Hello

I dunno what happened everything was working great on my laptop with windows7 ultimate 32

I installed kaspersky and asked dor restart, after that I got boot failure and then a grub>

A message above says: Minimal bash like line editing is supported
----------

F8 safe mode not working
Tried windows repair and nothing happened

Please help

A:Win7 boot failure grub

Grub?

Are you dual booting windows with any Linux distro?

If so, try to update Grub. The process might vary depending on the linux distro used there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/375334-win7-boot-failure-grub.html
Relevancy 69.66%

A while ago I set up my PC to dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu. Didn't like Ubuntu so I removed it, but now whenever I cold-boot my PC it doesn't find my hard drive and goes into grub rescue mode (whatever that means). It looks like this:

If I press F12 when cold-booting, I get the following device selection to boot from, so I just choose "Internal HDD" and all is well, and Windows 7 boots:

My obvious question is: how can I remove this requirement so that my PC boots with that device automatically? I've tried restoring the MBR with the Windows 7 Rescue DVD but it didn't help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-boot-pc-goes-to-grub-rescue-mode.1168738/
Relevancy 69.66%

As the title says, my power just went out and im running windows 7 on SSD, along side Ubuntu, now that i try to boot the computer i get a grub rescue prompt and none of the grub commands work, also i get a simple No such device error.
Im at a delima i dont know where my repair disk is, and my OS disk is with a friend, any help?

Thanks in advance, sorry for little amount of information.

A:Power Went Out- Grub Rescue - Cant Boot

Thanks for all the help i got it my self after a few ours

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/244065-power-went-out-grub-rescue-cant-boot.html
Relevancy 68.8%

It won't let me reformat. How can I get it back to its original state?

Here is a screen of my computer

I'm using the original version of windows 7 on my C: drive. As you can see, I have no room on my recovery. I'm willing to reformat the whole computer if I have to.

My PC: Dell Inspiron M5040

A:I accidently installed Windows 7 on Recovery (D:)

Not good. You erased your recovery partition and I guess it's gone for good. The next best option you have is this: Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/309295-i-accidently-installed-windows-7-recovery-d.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I have a Windows 8.1/Ubuntu dual boot system. Can anyone give me instructions on how to get rid of the GRUB loader to end up with Windows as the default loading OS that will give me the Windows blue 'Please choose an operating system' screen when I turn the system on?

Thanks in advance!

A:8.1/Ubuntu dual boot GRUB query

For loading Ubuntu, you need the Grub. If you want to het rid of Grub, you will have to get rid of Ubuntu too.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/52660-8-1-ubuntu-dual-boot-grub-query.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I would like to start by saying I already had been looking to buy a new mobo and CPU so I did But to insure that this isnt a problem that has been heard of and GRUB load switched and Boot bios how won't to some to cover the off chance that a new mobo and CPU wont fix it I want to ask Earlier today I was playing a game that I keep on a second hard drive Suddenly the game crashes I go back to start it quot Cannot find files quot I go to explorer the partitions are gone I go to partition editor drive is missing I at this point am thinking maybe an update ran in the background and Boot some how switched to GRUB and bios won't load it temporarily kicked the drive out Im gonna restart I restart but this time instead of loading windows it starts searching for raid connections then says grub failed to find any bootable hard disks You know whats funny about that though I haven't installed ubuntu on this had drive EVER Why or how grub is installed is beyond me I think ok lets hit the bios and check the boot order The bios wont load I pull the slave hard drive Nothing I pull the master Not only does the bios not load the whole CMOS boot screen completely locks up I switch the sata connector from the slave to the master and this time the bios loads right up But my arrow and escape keys dont work I try restarting and loading the bios but its locked up again I try the same process with the slave drive and it makes this weird buzzzzzz-beep buzzzzzzzz-beep repeat until the cmos boot screen finally loads then stops but is still running Stll the bios wont load -Bios wont load -Boot menu wont load -Windows wont load -Somehow I ended up replacing the windows bootloader with GRUB not even GRUB I did google the problem with the HDD by model segate barracuda tb From what I read on boot this CAN be normal and if it stops after boot should not immediately be believed to be corrupted yet However considering it straight up dissipated from windows all together I wont know till I can at least get my master working Anyone ever hear of any of this Do you think this is all one issue could it be a box car kindof thing where one thing breaks thus breaking the next thing which breaks the next or do you think its just the perfect storm and is a lot of smaller issues happening all at once that have no relation to each other More than if you all have ever heard of it anyone know how to diagnose or repair any of these issues Like I said I ordered a new mobo and cpu that I hope will fix these issues but in case it persists and really more out of curiosity any thoughts

A:Boot some how switched to GRUB and bios won't load

'bios won't load' - try resetting the bios by removing + replacing the mobo cell battery (might even need a new battery). Then reboot with bare minimum hardware ie 1 stick of ram, 1 drive, just onboard gfx (if present). If that works, gradually put stuff back.

grub ? doesn't install itself. If you've never used Linux, maybe you've experimented with an activation hack in the past. These often use grub. (no accusation or insult intended)

BTW master + slave are terms from back in the days of IDE drives and big blue cables, when you had to set jumpers on HDDs to slave etc. You prob use SATA. Never liked those words myself . . .

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/344463-boot-some-how-switched-grub-bios-wont-load.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Ive read Phantasms guides but they fail to mention what to do if I wanted a dual boot with redt hat 9 with XP if I have to constantly reformat windows everyweek. Now we all can agree on XP being a fag of an OS. No wonder why I have to reload XP every few weeks. There must be a way to not corrupt the grub boot loader everytime I need to reload windows. Any suggestions???

A:ok.....well what if i have to reinstall XP every week? grub boot ldr screwed?

Windows will always overwrite your bootloader. No way around it. Just use the floppy you made during RH install to boot into Linux and reinstall Grub every time. Or use some third bootloader (you'd have to reinstall that with a bootable floppy every time too)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ok-well-what-if-i-have-to-reinstall-xp-every-week-grub-boot-ldr-screwed.12062/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi.
I'm currently dual booting with Vista and Backtrack 3 (a slackware linux distro) using grub and Easy BCD. The other day I deleted the 'NST' folder in my Vista c:\ and now i cannot seem to boot into Backtrack 3 as there was info in that folder that must have been used.
For some reason now, EasyBCD will not let me add another entry to my bootup so I need those old files that were in my NST folder.

MBR looks like this for the BT3 bootup portion:

Entry 3
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: BACKTRACK 3
BCD ID: {d9d43170-6007-11dd-8b43-8943620ecd66}
Boot Drive: C:
System Bootloader: \NST\nst_grub-5F6A92CF71032E4FDDA8EB8D0E76CEC9.mbr

could someone please help me as i need to add some folder/file to my c:\ for BT3 to bootup now. What exactly did the nst_grub-5F6A92CF71032E4FDDA8EB8D0E76CEC9.mbr file contain?

thanks

A:Grub NST folder deleted -cannot boot into linux

problem solved.
when I created the entry EasyBCD would create a new NST folder in the c:\program files\easycbd\boot\nst
I just created a new entry, copied that folder to c:\ and renamed the file to nst_grub-5F6A92CF71032E4FDDA8EB8D0E76CEC9.mbr and it worked

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/176183-grub-nst-folder-deleted-cannot-boot-into-linux.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi
I get the message 'no bootable partition in table' when starting the computer.
However, the computer is ok and the HDD has no problems, I know this because i using grub and 'boot windows', everything starts up fine.
How can i fix this?
Thanks for any help

Also, strangely, if i use the XP CD, and choose to boot to there, but when i say it says 'press any key to boot from cd', if i leave it, it will also boot fine.

A:no bootable partition in table - but can still boot with grub

Are you trying to dual boot with a version of Linux? Sounds like the Linux partition may be gone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falc

Hi
I get the message 'no bootable partition in table' when starting the computer.
However, the computer is ok and the HDD has no problems, I know this because i using grub and 'boot windows', everything starts up fine.
How can i fix this?
Thanks for any help

Also, strangely, if i use the XP CD, and choose to boot to there, but when i say it says 'press any key to boot from cd', if i leave it, it will also boot fine.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/no-bootable-partition-in-table-but-can-still-boot-with-grub-280548.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Maybe I should have my question in the Linux part but here I am. I had Vista and Opensuse working on duel boot, Opensuse 11.3 came to the end of its time so I tried to upgrade but it all went wrong so I decided to delete Opensuse from its partition. Having done this I found Vista will not boot without the Grub disc, everything was still intact in Vista so please how can I get it to boot normally again.

A:[SOLVED] Vista will not boot without the Grub disc.

Since I'm not an linux expert, I'd say backup all your data and reinstall your computer. be sure to completely format your C drive in order to reset everything.

If you are not in the mood to do this, you sould post this question at the linux side of this forum

Good luck

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-vista-will-not-boot-without-the-grub-disc-669986.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Ok so I have W7 and Ubuntu desktop installed on my HDD. I used gparted and deleted my ubuntu partition and set it NTFS. But I forgot about the GRUB loader. Now when I boot up, I get the "error 22".

Anyways, how do I set it so I can just boot W7?

Also! I'm on a netbook so it has to be a USB method.

A:Dual Boot: Ubuntu and W7 Grub issue

Wlecome to the "Grub error club" as well as the Se7enforums! RyanfromtheShhiir

That's what the repair tools section on the 7 dvd are for correcting mbr entries and other things preventing Windows from a normal startup! In your case you have to load the 7 installer again from the usb source(external hard drive, usb key) that you used to see 7 installed for this.

Right when the installer finishes loading to the point where you select the language and location and you move on to the next screen for the "Install Now" button look down below that for the repair tools link. That will then go through the detection process for the installation you have on and bring you to a menu of options where you then simply click on the Startup Repair. Startup Repair

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/18885-dual-boot-ubuntu-w7-grub-issue.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I recently got a virus on my computer I couldn't repair, prompting me to purchase a new (identical to old one) hard drive (Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB ATA/133 HDD. Upon trying to set up the computer with the new HDD, I am receiving,

"GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait....
Error 22"

From the searches I've done, Grub errors are from linux, which this PC has never had linux on it. I have run xp for 4+ years and have done multiple formats including one 6 months ago that went off without a hitch.

I have changed the boot order to boot from CD first and it stops after the PCI Device Listing and thinks for about 30 seconds before again giving the above error, despite having a Win XP install cd in my cd rom.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thank you.

A:Disk boot failure / GRUB Error 22

**Correction, the hard drive I purchased was used. If it previously had an install of Linux what can I do?

Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/disk-boot-failure-grub-error-22-a-319306.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi I have just completely reinstalled my laptop after problems with dual booting before using Norton Partition Magic I reinstalled XP - after creating partitions on my GB laptops drive GB NTFS Windows GB EXT Linux MB Dual Boot GRUB loads Laptop cli. only SWAP GB FAT - shared data storage for both OS s I installed XP all Dual Boot Laptop only loads GRUB cli. fine then installed SuSe also all fine Booted to both via the SuSe loader Windows is just another option Updated both and had bit of play around didnt change anything thogugh only really installed a Dual Boot Laptop only loads GRUB cli. few apps on the windows install So anyway now when I start the laptop it just comes up with GNU GRUB version k lower k upper memory Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported For the forst word TAB lists possible command completions Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device filename grub gt And that s it now I really have no clue where to go from here gt I know you can edit the grub config - maybe that s why it s not booting the OS I didnt use any other boot loader as this did the job fine before Any ideas Even how to check the config Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Dual Boot Laptop only loads GRUB cli.

OK, I've looked into this a bit, and it seems there's some bad config in the grub.conf file.
So, I tried to load the kernel:

root (hd0,6)
kernel (hd0,6)/boot/vmlinuz
boot

And it loads the kernel but it fails to mount the root.

The actual error is:

VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(8,6)
Please appeand a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic - not suncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unkonwn-block (8,6)

HELP!! (

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-laptop-only-loads-grub-cli.56805/
Relevancy 68.8%

i have triple boot system with xp win 7 ultimate and ubundu. i installed xp first then win 7 then ubundu .win7 disc is non bootable. i am using it with 2 grubs which first one contain ubundu and win 7 .when win7 is selected it shows other grub with xp and wind 7.
BUT i compress c drive and i lost the grub of xp and win 7.using xp cd i run bootfix and i get xp back but i lost both grub .now it directly gbooting xp.how ican recover my old grubs.

A:triple boot system grub lost

Hello sachithkn Welcome to the Seven Forums!

One option available would be replacing the Grub loaders entirely and repairing the 7 mbr. Afterwards the free program called EasyBCD can add a boot entry for ubuntu into the 7 BCD stote(boot configuration) as well as another entry for XP. You would then see the 7 drive made the default boot drive and decide which OS would set as the default.

A good alternate site for that if you would rather not register for the free for home use download is available at Download EasyBCD Community Edition 2.1.2.156 Free - A handy tool for tweaking your system - Softpedia

When installing ubuntu last one tip is seeing the root partition made the "? mount point" avoiding seeing Grub installed into the Windows boot sector. The EasyBCD docs explain how the program will still add a usable boot entry in for the other OS.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/233544-triple-boot-system-grub-lost.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I just not 15, file boot found Grub error recently returned from a trip out of town and found when I tried to boot Grub boot error 15, file not found my computer I had a Grub boot error file not found I've never heard of grub dos before I began trying to figure out what was wrong with my computer and found that it is used for dual booting I run windows ultimate x and have never dual booted my machine While my laptop itself is not password protected I do require a password to get into windows My question is can someone get around the required password to install grub dos install linux then copy my hard-drive leaving it useless when they're done If not is there some other way a virus or trojan that could cause windows to fail and revert to grub I did remove my hard-drive put it into an external case and try to look at it on another computer In the disk manager it shows that it's healthy has gb avail and the format is RAW I really hope that someone out there can tell me how to recover my data and that the problem is something other than some individual hacking my computer Thanks

A:Grub boot error 15, file not found

If someone accessed your computer and installed Grub, then you can bet they poked around and accessed your files. Windows doesn't use Grub, so there's no way it just showed up unless someone installed it. Installing a Linux distro doesn't require your Windows password - they just boot from a CD and install the distro, which includes the Grub bootloader. They can also use a Linux LiveCD to access the entire Windows partition and get pretty much whatever they want from it.

Do you have your Windows 7 installation DVD?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/242350-grub-boot-error-15-file-not-found.html
Relevancy 68.37%

When prompted for installation of W I chose the highlighted option which was the D drive Duh I don't care about any programs or data on the system I am wiping it clean to pass along to Recovery Windows D 7 installed drive Accidently on the my daughter as a Christmas present The D drive acts as primary and is the only OS Accidently installed Windows 7 on the D Recovery drive installation now I have plenty of space on the C drive The D drive is too full to download any programs or exe files to assist with moving the installation Accidently installed Windows 7 on the D Recovery drive to C I don't know how to move space from the C drive to the D drive Windows boots up w out issue I am unable to install W on C because the registration key is already in use The D drive will not allow me to uninstall Windows With those factors in mind would I be able to highlight and delete all files in the D drive then install W to the C drive Or can you think of a simple and elegant way to back out of this quandary I appreciate your assistance and guidance Thanks Tammy

A:Accidently installed Windows 7 on the D Recovery drive

Please follow, then post back here:
Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/315390-accidently-installed-windows-7-d-recovery-drive.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I once used Auto Super Grub to try to fix a boot problem of mine. But it didn't work, so I just reformatted my computer. however, Auto Super Grub still shows up on my boot screen, so I have to choose between Win7 and Auto Super Grub even though Auto Super Grub was uninstalled a long time ago.

Here are some pics of what I see.

Through msconfig, I see one OS

However, 7's default OS menu shows me both

Then bsdedit shows me 7 as a option, but also shows Auto Super Grub

How can I delete Auto Super Grub from showing up on boot?

A:How can I delete Auto Super Grub from showing up on boot?

Some more info

What happened:
1. I installed Linux on my D partition with win 7 on my C partition
2. I didn't like the grub menu and wanted the windows startup menu instead so I used Super Grub
3. I used the help process (don't remember it exactly, but had something to do with fixing windows mbr)
4. Said it was successful and needed to reboot.
5. Upon reboot, it said something about not being able to boot and "press any key to restart"... and if you press any key, it just repeated that message. This appears right after Bios load.
6. So I boot linux off a USB and reformatted/reinstalled linux on my D partition, so I had grub back again
7. I reinstalled win 7 and thus the win 7 boot screen came back, but Auto Boot Grub Disk still appeared as a startup option
8. I removed linux from D partition and reformatted D to be ntfs
9. Still currrent problem persists

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/95939-how-can-i-delete-auto-super-grub-showing-up-boot.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hello Guys and Gals I have an interesting and puzzling problem here I have created a successful triple booting BOOTMGR Triple boot on missing system GRUB... with system with Windows Ubuntu and Windows XP I did that BEFORE I just recently upgraded most of my hardware including my Motherboard RAM Gb up from video card processor and monitor I am using GRUB as my boot loader Ubuntu is now clearly broken as it does boot but now needs a partial upgrade considering upgrading all the way BOOTMGR missing on Triple boot system with GRUB... to with all this new hardware maybe and many updates Windows XP does not boot however and gives me the old BOOTMGR is missing - press CTRL-ALT-DELETE to restart arrrgh I have placed the hard drive boot priorities in the proper order so that the system boots to the GRUB flawlessly but I am lost on the proper method to repair XP in this configuration Let me describe what happens when I boot up and try to answer some initial questions When I boot my machine displays all the POST information as normal then GRUB comes up showing my Ubuntu Windows and Windows XP options as normal When I choose XP I get the error Windows boots up when I choose it in GRUB with no issues what-so-ever I already have updated re-installed all the new and necessary drivers for Windows anyway Still have to work on Ubuntu and XP lol I am running XP because of an old program that requires it to run properly Dundjinni - don't laugh I know a few of you still play Dungeons and Dragons As I stated before my Tripleboot worked perfectly before the hardware upgrades so BOOTMGR being an element of W makes sense as a symptom I also need to point out that Windows lives on a WD Raptor Gb by itself that Ubuntu and XP share a Gb WD and there is a Tb WD that both the other drives have access to as a data drive The system boots from the drive that Ubuntu and XP are on via the GRUB Thanks in advance for any and all help

A:BOOTMGR missing on Triple boot system with GRUB...

Could I get the steps you used to set up the triple boot to begin with? I know in the past, I had to install everything in a certain order for triple booting 7, XP, and Linux to work out, so your installation order would give me an idea of how to help you resolve your current issue.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/204136-bootmgr-missing-triple-boot-system-grub.html
Relevancy 68.37%

After building PCs for years I thought I had seen it all but I cannot get an HP Elitebook w to see the bootloader installed on a Western Digital T drive The latop has all UEFI completely disabled in the BIOS default It boots windows just fine using bootmgr exe there are no UEFI files present on the windows disk legacy boot confirmed with both 'bcdedit enum' and msinfo -- which reports 'BIOS Mode Legacy' nbsp The problem is that after an Archlinux install of which I've done more than the laptop will not see the grub bootloader installed in the MBR The comical part is I can boot the iso just fine and then Choose existing OS change 'hd ' to 'hd ' and then boot grub and the Arch install just fine As soon as control passes to grub I only 8760w Win10 Legacy GRUB, bootmgr.exe... see Boot, will not can pull the USB iso and continue normally nbsp I'm writing this post from the laptop which is happily running Arch with a full Plasma KDE desktop install -- I just can't boot it without booting from the iso in a USB port - heck of 8760w Legacy Boot, will not see GRUB, only Win10 bootmgr.exe... an unintended security feature The rest of the machine works flawlessly once booted from the iso -- full plasma KDE setup wpa supplicant WPA TKIP wifi bluetooth synaptics touchpad ieee- I even have the console happily running at x - bit mode nbsp I've tried all the suggestions pulling the battery holding power on for seconds to clear any phantom power resetting the BIOS to failsafe defaults -- nothing works windows continues to happily boot in legacy mode while attempting to boot the linux install always results on good-ole error F no OS found Installed BIOS is F Rev A I have not installed F Rev A yet -- the update didn't appear relevant to this problem from its description nbsp The MBR partitioning is simple boot home and a G swap nbsp sudo fdisk -l dev sda Disk dev sda GiB bytes sectors Units sectors of bytes Sector size logical physical bytes bytes I O size minimum optimal bytes bytes Disklabel type dos Disk identifier xff d aa Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type dev sda G Extended dev sda M Linux dev sda G Linux dev sda G Linux dev sda G Linux swap Solaris nbsp grub is installed to dev sda with nbsp grub-install --target i -pc dev sda no errors on install and grub-mkconfig -o boot grub grub cfg nbsp I've read that I might need to boot with UEFI even though with this model UEFI was experimental and disabled by default and --- is disabled for windows This was explained as being due to HP hardcoding the path to the windows bootmgr efi file which makes no sense here as that doesn't even exist on the windows install Nonetheless I've got another T drive I setup as GPT and tried both a meg bios boot partition to boot the GPT install in Legacy mode and I've tried a full UEFI setup which pressing F on this system after enabling UEFI in the bios results in a single blinking underline cell in the center of the screen nothing more then a timeout and continuing with the legacy boot order nbsp For the record the bios boot attempt with GPT used the following partitioning nbsp fdisk -l dev sda Disk dev sda GiB bytes sectors Units sectors of bytes Sector size logical physical bytes bytes I O size minimum optimal bytes bytes Disklabel type gpt Disk identifier B A C-CBDB- -A EC- FA A C Device Start End Sectors Size Type dev sda M BIOS boot dev sda M Linux filesystem dev sda G Linux filesystem dev sda G Linux filesystem dev sda G Linux swap Same result - the laptop will not boot from the hard drive but happily boots the install when booted via the iso and control is passed to grub by choose Choose existing OS from the iso boot menu nbsp The UEFI setup used the following nbsp fdisk -l dev sda Disk dev sda GiB bytes sectors Units sectors of bytes Sector size logical physical bytes bytes I O size minimum optimal bytes bytes Disklabel type gpt Disk identifier B A C-CBDB- -A EC- FA A C Device Start End Sectors Size Type dev sda M BIOS boot dev sda M EFI System dev... Read more

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/8760w-Legacy-Boot-will-not-see-GRUB-only-Win10-bootmgr-exe/td-p/5849344
Relevancy 68.37%

I have followed the instructions over at think geek for uninstalling Linux and have run the bootsec.exe /fixmbr... but on startup it still is getting stuck at the minimal Grub menu. Do I need to also remove the first partition (seen in pic) all the way to the left, the 260 MB one, is that what the grub menu is. Then re-run the fixmbr command?

Thank you

A:Trying to uninstall Linux from Dual Boot, still gets stuck at Grub

I once had dual boot setup with Windows 10 and Linux.

This is the tutorial I used to remove the dual boot setup.

How to Uninstall a Linux Dual-Boot System From Your Computer
http://www.howtogeek.com/141818/how-...your-computer/

Pay attention to the instructions starting from:
Fix the Windows Boot Loader
excerpt:
Linux has now been removed from your computer, but its boot loader persists. We?ll need to use a Windows installer disc to overwrite the Linux boot loader with the Windows boot loader.

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/50383-trying-uninstall-linux-dual-boot-still-gets-stuck-grub.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Hello all new here my pc config is intel Dual XP dual boot no boot then but tried Solved: installed boot options Vista quad gb ram gb hd OS is XP Pro with SP Okay I heard people speek highly of Vista and no so highly so I decided to give it a shot and make my own decision XP was installed a few weeks ago and is on disk gig partition created another for E Vista Ultimate and have unallocated for now My other drive is just for games At first I used Solved: Dual boot XP installed then tried Vista but no boot dual boot options the remaining for Vista the first time Everything loaded fine was online with Vista was updating drivers and then I rebooted Solved: Dual boot XP installed then tried Vista but no boot dual boot options to finish the install for some drivers and the boot options never came up it booted right to XP I looked at the partitions and it shows Vista there so I looked in XP boot ini and it shows boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot fastdetect NoExecute OptIn I checked around and people said to add Vista to it so I did and added this boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot fastdetect NoExecute OptIn multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate quot fastdetect It gave the options to now choose one but when I choose Vista the screen goes blank no cursor or anything display is x someone had suggested that already If I choose XP it boots fine I then Solved: Dual boot XP installed then tried Vista but no boot dual boot options decided to format the the partition with Vista cd and made a Gb and I now have a Gb unallocated for now as described above did the install again and samething loads fine everything looks pretty but as soon as it is rebooted it goes right to XP no boot choices If you check boot ini only shows one OS Vista is nowhere to be seen and once again if you add it to the boot ini going to My Computer props advanced and editing that way it does the samething when chosen boots to a blank screen I decided to go the msconfig route and checked the boot paths and it showed the one for Vista as invalid which is the path I have above I am clueless now and I don t wat to start from scratch meaing wipe everything clean and try doing Vista first and then XP I searched around the web and most of the issues I found was that XP would not boot after a dual boot attempt Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks and have a good one all nbsp

A:Solved: Dual boot XP installed then tried Vista but no boot dual boot options

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dual-boot-xp-installed-then-tried-vista-but-no-boot-dual-boot-options.707518/
Relevancy 67.94%

So i had a win and dual boot system where partition- was sys reserved was was -- i needed win xp for a piece of software so i shrunk my problems xp system and boot win7 installed 8-boot triple after partition biggest and win and grabbed gb for my xp install installed xp and obviously lost my boot loader for and so when i booted xp i installed easybcd and it showed my only boot loader triple boot system installed xp after win7 and 8-boot problems was for and even tho i was logged into xp im guessing xp made it so that its partition now partition was the boot partition but easybcd is still seeing part sys reserved as the boot when i changed my active partition back to sys reserved it found the win and options but when i try to load goes bsod for a second then restarts says error inaccessible boot device how can i fix this i repointed the boot partition back to xp so that i could log on here to talk to you all easybcd doesnt not even recognize a boot loader for xp when im in xp it says my only bootloaders are for and WTF how could i completely recreate a boot manager for all

A:triple boot system installed xp after win7 and 8-boot problems

You may try Automatic Repair - Run in Windows 8 - Windows 8 Forums , it should fix all the bootloaders.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/227882-triple-boot-system-installed-xp-after-win7-8-boot-problems.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I recently installed a new SSD and put my OS on it but every now and then when I boot up it just wont get an internet connection. Once its booted up and I restart Windows though its fine. It doesn't happen everytime but 50% or so I'd say on boot up. I'm thinking its something to do with how fast its booting up now and for some reason my network settings or drivers have not had a chance to load or something and its not getting a handshake with my router. I would appreciate any ideas you awesome guys may have on it. Im running Win7 64bit.

A:Installed new boot SSD but occasional problems with internet connectivity on boot up

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installed-new-boot-ssd-but-occasional-problems-with-internet-connectivity-on-boot-up.1039911/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello everyone I did some searching and saw this previously answered a bunch of times but I haven't had any luck with the existing answers I built my own machine a few years clean install, After computer rescue boot; grub won't prompt ago so it After clean install, computer won't boot; grub rescue prompt is not standard Everything was booting just fine until I decided I wanted to do a fresh reinstall of Windows After doing the installation the computer restarted and before it would get to the windows boot screen I now get stuck in grub rescue prompts I tried Startup repair I tried going into command prompt in repair computer and using the bootrec After clean install, computer won't boot; grub rescue prompt fixmbr fixboot After clean install, computer won't boot; grub rescue prompt and the rebuildbcd commands Still no luck At one time a long time ago I had linux dual booted I don't recall if I ever had it on the same drive as Windows but I know for sure at one point it was on a different drive Can someone tell me how to get past this I can manually get by it if I boot to HDD and then select the drive but if I let it go through the normal boot process without me interfering I get stuck in the grub rescue I'm sure the experts will need more info provided so please let me know what info you need Thanks

A:After clean install, computer won't boot; grub rescue prompt

The repairs which you've probably already run to try to get it started are to confirm the Partition Marked Active is 100mb System Reserved (preferred if you have it) or C, then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

Did you delete all partitions during install which is the bare minimum that should be done to get a clean install?

But the older version of GRUB can corrupt WIn7 if on the drive so it would be better to wipe the HD with Clean Command Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command then start over following these same steps to get a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/350559-after-clean-install-computer-wont-boot-grub-rescue-prompt.html
Relevancy 66.65%

First time attempt at Windows-Linux configuration after clean install of Windows System Reserved was avoided At first I was planning Linux boot GRUB + Double Win partition/treatment? Separate or config: to add Linux Mint only It was clear from reading that no separate Linux boot partition was needed e g Win + Double Linux config: Separate GRUB or boot partition/treatment? I have no LVM no RAID no second drive However before I proceed to complete the Linux side I realized I would like need to add a modest-sized second Linux partition for DEBIAN Do I need -- or is it advisable in the face of two Linux OS's -- to create a small primary GRUB partition for reasons I'm not sure of I woke up this morning worrying that I might have needed that System Reserved partition forcing a repartition and re-install of Windows and Office yuk I want to ensure the Win double Linux OS boot processes will be supported properly Does running two Linux OS's on a Windows machine require or recommend a special GRUB or boot partition to make everything work Win + Double Linux config: Separate GRUB or boot partition/treatment? together Thanks LateToWinParty Oops just added Win + Double Linux config: Separate GRUB or boot partition/treatment? a question on successful use of Data Partition Hard drive GB avoided System Reserved C Windows GB gt Windows Apps Overhead space even spillover of data if needed D Data Docs Files GB Free Unallocated GB I am hoping that using a data partition alongside Windows is as easy as a transfer of one's user Libraries to the D Data partition as is described here in this article Is there different better advice on how to make a Data Partition work smoothly Move Your Data to a Safer Separate Partition in Windows by Cedric Crawley After transfer of your standard user Library folders to the Data Partition AppData is a lot trickier than your other data folders Windows doesn't want you to move it and it contains files that you really shouldn't move But it contains other files that should be on the data partition Open AppData right-click the Roaming folder and select Properties Click the Location tab and do as explained earlier Then reboot HTML Code http www pcworld com article data part win html

A:Win + Double Linux config: Separate GRUB or boot partition/treatment?

Quote:
Does running *two* Linux OS's on a Windows machine require or recommend a special GRUB or boot partition to make everything work together?

No, I have had 4 linux multibooting with a couple of windows.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/304581-win-double-linux-config-separate-grub-boot-partition-treatment.html
Relevancy 66.65%

When i was installing a new graphics card, I accidently removed the plug connected to one of my harddrives; it was the one carrying my windows vista OS. So i booted my computer up and it would give me an error of a missing file so i tried to repair it using the windows vista cd but when it didnt work i installed a new version on my 2nd hard drive. I only found out later that one of the harddrives was unplugged. So I plugged it back in but I could only boot from the new windows vista i installed, it wont even recognize the old one if i go through the windows dvd and select repair. can someone help me? I want to make it recognize and boot from the old windows vista because all my programs and settings is on there. thanks in advance.

Relevancy 66.22%

When I try to start my laptop the 'Acer' logo flashes with 'press f to enter setup f to to unable Acer boot, 7 to laptop use safemode Windows unable change boot device then to a black screen with a flashing cursor but unable to type then screen turns off and it just repeats over and over I'm unable to start in safe mode I don't have the original Windows disc Windows 7 Acer laptop unable to boot, unable to use safemode and no access to another computer at this stage I have a wireless keyboard and when I plug in the dongle am able to use it If I Windows 7 Acer laptop unable to boot, unable to use safemode press f then I'm able to access 'Phoenix Securecore Tiano Setup' with tabs for Information Main Security Boot and Exit Before the laptop refused to start it was having an error about not being able to write to drive I ran two programs one anti malware and the other I think was Glary I was able to start both in normal Windows 7 Acer laptop unable to boot, unable to use safemode and safe mode at this stage Anyone have any ideas how to fix this Dumbed down advice would be great Acer Aspire Windows Intel Core i - m cpu ghz

A:Windows 7 Acer laptop unable to boot, unable to use safemode

It sounds like your HDD is broken.

Sorry, it really sounds that way.

Ultimate Boot CD has a range of tools that will help you confirm this. (look in the HDD Diagnosis section on the list)

Burn the disk and boot it, run the tool you choose...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/545997/windows-7-acer-laptop-unable-to-boot-unable-to-use-safemode/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hey.
I wanted to use this program to make my usb flash bootable, but instead i managed to choose the wrong drive letter and i removed my partition.

It was an external usb HDD, and it was a single primary partition, now this program made a non formatted primary partition with the size of 904.6 mb and the rest is unallocated space.

Is there any way to recover my partition, it was nearly full with all my music, and some other media files, I'm 100% sure it didn't format the HDD, just deleted the partition and created a new smaller one which it didnt format.

A:Solved: Accidently removed a partition using hp drive key boot utility

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-accidently-removed-a-partition-using-hp-drive-key-boot-utility.863829/
Relevancy 65.79%

Greetings!

Is it possible to setup a dual boot with an installed Ubuntu and installed Windows and have options to boot from ISOs that are stored on the harddisk? Something like this would make a great setup for a diagnostics machine

A:Possible to do dual boot to installed OS + have options for ISO boot?

Closest thing I can think of is booting from vhd.

https://hardforum.com/threads/possible-to-do-dual-boot-to-installed-os-have-options-for-iso-boot.1905516/
Relevancy 65.36%

I installed a new motherboard for my Windows 7 Home Premium system and was surprised to find Windows won't boot now. I tried repair option from the install disc but didn't help. I tried the in place upgrade but after selecting the Install now option I end up with a message that the system was booted from the install disc and I need to start Windows normally and then insert the install disc again which of course won't work when Windows can't boot.

I made a new install on a test hard drive to check my motherboard and it is working fine. What can I do? I would like to boot on my regular drive with all my data and programs and not have to go through the long process of finding and installing everything anew.

A:Windows won't boot after new MB installed

RFHarris, Welcome to SF. Sometimes you get lucky with this process sometimes you don't but read the attached article for some help. I like to clean install but I always back up my data and keep all my software ready, but it is a much longer process but one I prefer.
Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/162101-windows-wont-boot-after-new-mb-installed.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I m not sure whether this is a hardware issue or a software Windows and Installed now boot? new PSU won't Windows issue Okay I just installed a Corsair HX which is rated Silver which is apparently Installed new PSU and now Windows won't boot? a good thing I know this thing is more powerful than my previous W power supply Would changing the PSU effect Windows in any way I m more than sure everything is plugged in and tight I ve tried numerous times and whenever I boot up my computer it goes through the BIOS screen and then it goes to quot Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device quot The thing is Windows is already properly installed on one of the hard drives I have two SATA hard drives My computer was working perfectly fine with the other PSU but with this new one Windows will simply not boot I may try to reinstall Windows but can a new PSU really make it so you can t boot into Windows Also I checked my BIOS and everything is being recognized From the hard drives to the DVD drives I have two My specs are AMD Phenom II Quad Core GHz x GB SATA HDD Windows Ultimate New Corsair HX PSU Nvidia GeForce GT GB RAM nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

I used a program to make a USB bootable drive and installed xp off it, now it wont start on its own the usb bootable drive has "debug boot rdisk 1 partition 1-4" when I use partition 3 it starts fine, I checked that file out all it is is a boot.ini file with multi boot options, I tried to change the windows boot.ini file to somthing that I thought was correct , disk0 and partition 3 and rdisk 0 with multi set to 0, am I doing anything wrong?

In disk management it shows up as 0 and I'm using IDE mode in bios thanks!

The error I get when I try to boot up just using the hdd is "windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware config problem"
Could not read from the seleted boot disk. check boot path and disk hardware.

A:Windows XP installed from USB, won't boot on its own

I'm not sure if this will help your situation, but in your BIOS, do you have the Hard drive selected as the First bootable device?

If not, try setting it to before the USB/CD/Floppy and see if it will allow you to boot.

Other then this the only thing I could suggest is to reload with a disc..

With your boot.ini file do you have this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

*Note that instead of Professional you could also have Home..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-installed-from-usb-wont-boot-on-its-own.181666/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi,
My pc (win 8, IE9, 64 bit) started behaving oddly suddenly before refusing to go any further now saying unable to find boot drive, please insert boot disk and press any key.
Is this terminal and have I lost all data on that pc? Will taking it to a pc wizard do any good?
I am in Australia
I hope someone can offer productive advice
Fiona

A:Unable to find boot drive insert boot disk

Welcome,
I'm assuming that you are currently communicating from another computer.
Do you have the installation disk? If not, then the trip to the PC wizard sounds like a wise choice.
The data loss will depend on what is wrong and when you made your last backup. It could be very little to total.
Keep us posted

Dick

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/559982/unable-to-find-boot-drive-insert-boot-disk/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello there,

I have a problem. I have a dual boot computer with Xp on C: and Win2k3 on D:

As my XP is behaving very weird lately, I intend to reinstall my C: again with XP again. But if I do so, my Win2K3 on D: will fail to start. I have done this experiment on a spare machine.

Does anyone know how I can reinstall XP on my C: and yet make sure that my Win2K3 still works well on my D: ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

A:Win2K3 unable to boot after installing WinXP as a dual boot

Yes. You need to restore the boot environment that was installed with Windows 2003 server. Its more up to date than the one that was installed with XP, and is capable of booting both, whereas the older XP one you now have can only boot XP and not 2003.

I believe you will be able to get round this:

Install XP.

Backup your boot.ini file.

Boot from your Windows 2003 CD and begin an installation.

After the text based stage, where the files are copied to the hard drive, STOP THE INSTALLATION BEFORE THE GRAPHICAL STAGE, AND DON'T FORMAT!!!! You can do this by booting from the Windows 2003 CD instead of the HDD.

Then, boot from the Windows 2003 CD into recovery console, and rename your old boot.ini file as the new one.

Basically, you are wanting the Windows 2003 installation program to write its boot environment to the HDD again, but not to reinstall the OS.

You get around this in future by installing OSes in the order they were released, from the oldest to the newest, so that the following would be installed in this order:

Windows 95
Windiws 98
Windows NT 4
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows 2003

I hope this helps. Sorry if this is a little vague but its early in the morning. Post back if you still have questions, but I've encountered this problem many times and that was how I fixed it. I don't recall fixboot or fixmbr from the recovery console helping.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win2k3-unable-to-boot-after-installing-winxp-as-a-dual-boot.18107/
Relevancy 64.93%

I need to run a Carestream driver for RVG 6500, a dental imaging sensor, and install an intra-oral camera by Runyes. I am currently using Windows 8.1 that came pre-installed on my HP Ultrabook, and even though I like the operating system, it does not install the applications I mentioned above

I would really appreciate if someone could help me resolve this issue.

Things I have Already Tried in Vain
PC Settings>Updates and Recovery>Recovery>Advanced Startup>Advanced Settings>Enable Unsigned DriversOracle Virtual Machine: The wireless network adapter for the RVG 6500 system cannot be configured in the virtual machine as it fails to provide the appropriate network driversDual boot with Windows Vista: Fails to read the hard drive for installation and does not install on portable drive

A:Dual Boot on pre-installed windows 8

Look at this thread. It's short and I think it'll give you the info you need.

Dual Booting Windows 7 with Windows 8 Pre-Installed UEFI

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/35179-dual-boot-pre-installed-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I have a Sony Vaio VPCEB C E Sony VPCEB C E updates Download updates for VPCEB C E It had Windows home premium x on it and installed xp W7 Windows first. with 7 dual boot Cannot but the hard drive went bust and I Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. lost everything I own a Windows professional x cd and license which I used as my laptop did not come with cds I would like to play some old games which do not run correctly in quot xp mode quot Anyway back on track a week ago I attempted to dual boot it using the excellent tutorial on this forum everything went fine it rebooted Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. and booted into xp x I have slipstreamed my SATA driver and net framework x everything was looking up I tried to install easybcd but it needed net framework my VAIO is capable of running xp because at the Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. above link it gives me the correct SATA driver and a utility to create a cd with the correct drivers for my software at this point I had no internet so I shut down the laptop and ran easybcd from windows I ran easybcd v and foolowed the guide once done I moved a few files across to the windows xp partition drivers mainly I had not spare cds so I used total mounter to mount a virtual RW cd drive I then rebooted the computer and selected Windows XP from the boot menu and it complained about ntoskrnl exe being invalid I sorted this out and since then it has suffered from a BSOD B I have wiped the data on it and installed xp but it would move the files onto the disk and and reboot into the BSOD To get rid of this I had to change the boot drive in W from the system reserved partition to my main C drive i then deleted the system reserved partition and now it will boot into win and complete the installation of xp but once the laptop reboots after installation to boot xp for the first time I am met with a BSOD again B I am literally stuck I have searched and searched for answers to this problem I have tried many things but they all end in that BSOD after installation I know I have the correct driver because it worked the very first time I have tried burning a second copy of the xp installation but there is no difference If I select safe mode is BSOD's at acpitabl dat my research has told me that it is due to an incorrect driver which cannot be the case because it has worked before I have a feeling it is something to do with easybcd Is there an easy way to undo what it has done Since I ran easybcd xp BSOD's I have read about putting sata into IDE compatibility mode in the bios I cannot do that my current bios R Y does on give my the option to As I say this has been happening for a week i have searched using google and read many pages but not found a solution It would be great if someone could say quot run cmd and type 'boot xp damn you quot quot but that said it wasn't a recognised command how apt

A:Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first.

Did you have a look at Option 2 here: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/265202-cannot-dual-boot-xp-windows-7-w7-installed-first.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I screwed up. I have a 2 HD system. Windows 7 is on HD #2 in F: partition. Installed Ubuntu into empty C: partition on HD #1. Can't boot into Windows on HD #2. Probably overwrote the MBR? To boot into Ubuntu on HD #1 I changed the order of the HDs in the BIOS.

I tried the Windows 7 Repair Disc, but it wants to add a couple of startup options, both of which have the line "Windows Device: Partition = C (439999MB)." C: is not the windows device.

How do I get out of this predicament? I'm assuming there's some utility I can run from the DVD drive. I thought about EasyBCD but was told I had to run it from Windows.

A:Installed Linux - Can't boot into Windows

When you start Windows with the installation media, select Repair. Then get to a command prompt. When you're in the command prompt type bootrec /FixMBR

You can also try bootrec /ScanOS to make sure that your OS is still listed

Bcdedit.exe is used to set the default boot configuration

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installed-linux-cant-boot-into-windows.1065249/
Relevancy 64.93%

I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit installed on my SATA 1TB HDD. I also have an IDE 250GB HDD onto which I've installed Windows XP Professional 32-bit. Using DualBootPro,I was able to get Windows 7 to boot correctly, however XP now gives me the error:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

I have Googled the heck out of this problem and tried a number of fixes that have not worked:

I tried replacing the hal.dll file with the one from the XP install disc.
I tried rebuilding the boot.ini file.
I tried adding Windows XP boot info to the windows 7 bootloader.

My bcdedit output in command prompt can be viewed on the Untitled-1.jpg attached.

I am fairly experienced in dealing with some of this stuff but I'm stumped. Please help!

A:Dual boot XP with windows 7 already installed

Hello, welcome!
It is unlikely you are really missing hal.dll. What is most likely happening is that XP is looking at the wrong place to boot from. You were on the right track rebuilding the boot.ini file, but perhaps you need to go farther. The fact that you are getting that message means nothing is wrong with the MBR.
What you need to do it manually edit your boot.ini file. Rembember that the drive/partition numbering starts at 0. I have attached a sample boot.ini file for you to look at. Your problem is probably the drive number.
boot.ini.txt

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/46424-dual-boot-xp-windows-7-already-installed.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi everybody I have a problem and I searced many site for solution I have 7 after Windows Ubuntu can't boot installed a pc originally Window installed I install ubuntu to different partition When Windows 7 can't boot after Ubuntu installed computer start up Grup is loaded normally in Grup menu There is Windows Recovery and Windows loader Windows Recovery works fine but Windows loader does not work When I chose them a blank page appears then return grup menu I try to fix MBR by using Windows Recovery DVD on cmd But Windows still cannot boot By the way on recovery option My Windows is shown like that quot Windows Professionel E quot I am sure that My System Drive is C letter There is partition on ubuntu about Windows sda is about Windows Recovery Totaly size gb sda is about What I don't now t is called System Reserved Totaly size abourt Mb sda is about Windows There is no description or Label for it Totaly size gb Can Somebody Help me Please

A:Windows 7 can't boot after Ubuntu installed

Information
We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.
& made the Startup Repair CD.
startup repair disc-create

Did you make the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

To Remove Linux take look at this post:
Error 0xc0000225 on boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/221047-windows-7-cant-boot-after-ubuntu-installed.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I have been having nothing but trouble with my girlfriend s new computer installed? a with cd Windows drive won't boot meaning it was my old computer of course I never had problems with it when it was mine I should have known better than to give her an AOpen formerly ACER cd drive but it was what I had so in it went My problem is that windows will not boot from hd with any cd rive of any brand I tried Windows won't boot with a cd drive installed? three the Aopen is broken on any IDE channel primary or secondary no matter if it is keyed as master or slave Is Windows won't boot with a cd drive installed? this an IRQ problem in the bios Before switching the cd drives out I would press the eject button on the cd drive and then the video card would kick in and the login screen would show up but I couldn t get the cd to actually eject I think the motherboard uses pheonix bios The system is an MSI k N -G board with an athlon and a gigabyte of Windows won't boot with a cd drive installed? ddr samsung RAM a radeon pro and a wd hard drive Anyway what is going on here Any clues This crap is driving me CRAAAAAZY Chris nbsp

A:Windows won't boot with a cd drive installed?

This sounds like a fun one...at least from a few hundred miles away.

Can you clarify a few things?

1.) The HD is currently set to master. Correct?
2.) Does the CD Drive show in the BIOS?
3.) Can you boot using a bootable CD? (W2k or WinXP)
4.) Can you boot into safe mode with the CD-Rom present?

(BTW...if you're unable to ever open the CD-Rom...most CD-Roms have an emergency eject (a little pinhole on the front) that you can stick a paperclip in to manually eject.)

I don't think this is an IRQ issue...,but we'll see...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-wont-boot-with-a-cd-drive-installed.416251/
Relevancy 64.93%

Problem:

I installed windows seven and it boots up automatically without giving me the option to boot into my old vista partition.

Background:

I am sure this is something simple, but I can't get it working.
I had vista installed and I used partition magic to repartition my hard drive on my laptop.
I made the new partition come before my old partition, because I wanted windows 7 to be my primary eventually.

I think it may have someting to do with making the vista partition active, but I am notentirely sure how to do that, so if you can help me out i would really appreciate it, Thanks!

A:Installed windows seven, Now can't boot to vista.

Ok, so I did the commands in this post, except I changed the "XP" to "Vista" and it shows vista but it will not boot, it says I need to insert my vista disk..

Do I need to do that? Or is there something wrong in those commands?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/10378-installed-windows-seven-now-cant-boot-vista.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Well Im slapping myself on the head, I installed Acronis True Image Home 11 on my machine today and on reboot it now seems to be hanging on the Preparing Automatic Repair screen, nothing seems to be happening, just hangs on this screen for ages.......

troubleshooting steps so far as follows.......

tried automatic repair but fails on windows 8 bootup cd via repair
tried

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd

with no result, the error seems to be pretty early on during the boot process, I can see the windows 8 flag for a split second then it just reboots, second time it reboots it fires into the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen and seems to just hang there.

my spec is as follows.

Gigabyte Z77-D3H
3TB Main OS Drive
128GB SSD *in RAID mode with OS drive for acceleration use via Intel Smart Response Technology and Rapid Start enabled.
8GB Ram
i7 2600k CPU