Windows Support Forum

Win 7 single user, merging users\All Users, Default User, Public, etc?

Q: Win 7 single user, merging users\All Users, Default User, Public, etc?

My father replaced his Windows 98 machine with a new computer running Windows 7. He's currently on 32-bit ultimate, but we could change versions if needed.

He's really hoping there's some way to force Windows 7 into a single user mode, primarily so C:\users\All Users, Default User, Public, and his own user are merged into one. It's absolutely driving him nuts the way it is.

I've done quite a bit of searching and have came up empty. Before I said it couldn't be done, I'm wondering if anyone's heard of a way to do this.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Win 7 single user, merging users\All Users, Default User, Public, etc?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Win 7 single user, merging users\All Users, Default User, Public, etc?

Just curious, but why does this annoy him so much? Surely it's not that complicated a system and all of his documents etc are stored in the same place, with more or less easy to use shortcuts to these directories placed throughout Windows 7?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/210398-win-7-single-user-merging-users-all-users-default-user-public-etc.html
Relevancy 90.52%

Have just migrated sic quot down graded ? + PC + user need Users Single Owner why do I Admin quot from XP to Win I am on Win training wheels Single user PC why do I need Admin + Owner + Users ? and I still fall of As a single user PC the new quot Administrator quot quot Owner quot etc is driving me insane In the process Single user PC why do I need Admin + Owner + Users ? of trying to get a grasp on Win and its foibles I am getting more frstrated with Win My four other WinXp PRO machines are just a dream to use Thay are all standalone PCs -- stable and they let me quot in quot My Toshiba laptop came with Win Home preloaded Is there such a thing as a single user install If so would I have to buy a Win Disc I am seriously thinking of buying a full retail version of Win so that when if my XP machines fall over I wont have the agony of Win because hopefully I will be familiar with Win tweaks As a Autocad programmer I mostly work in VBA and scripts I think I am developing a crush on Linux and we haven't even met I would appreciate any informative help

A:Single user PC why do I need Admin + Owner + Users ?

I can appreciate your frustration, Russell. The learning curve from XP to 7 can be kinda steep. One of the issues many people first have is the increased security offered by Windows 7. As you said in your post about your XP machines, "They are all standalone PCs -- stable and they let me "in"." That was one of XP's major problems ... lots of malware was able to get in as well as the authorized user(s).

When a new 7 computer is first set up, the initial account created is an administrator account so you can make required changes to the computer (like choosing language of choice, setting computer time zone, etc.) So there always has to be at least one administrator account on a 7 machine.

But to add to the confusion, this is an "unelevated" administrator account. In other words, there are some tasks (such as running a system file checker scan [sfc /scannow] from a command prompt), that cannot be done without jumping through one more hoop. If you open a command prompt in 7 (either by typing cmd in the start menu search box or using the long way start > all programs > accessories > command prompt) you have to right-click the command prompt icon and select "Run as administrator". It's just another security feature to make it more difficult for malware to get in.

A lot of people who are the only ones using the computer leave things as is ... running with that administrator account. Nothing wrong with that if you're careful and know what sites you're visiting, what email attachments you're opening, etc. But for an extra degree of security many people operate as a standard user just because it does make it more difficult for malware to get in. This tutorial goes into more detail about the various account types.

User Account Type - Change

As far as obtaining a Windows 7 installation disk, you could check out Step 4 in this tutorial (doing a repair install of Windows 7.)

Repair Install

You could download the ISO file for your version of Windows 7, save it to desktop, then burn it to a DVD. If you ever did a repair install or a clean install, just use the Product Key on your Toshiba laptop to re-activate with Microsoft. Hope some of this helps and doesn't make things even more confusing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/271549-single-user-pc-why-do-i-need-admin-owner-users.html
Relevancy 84.32%

Hi I don't know if I came to the right forum section or not I have I moved Old again user location 'C:\Users\(existing account)recreated default all existing user account profile folder from the default location C Users into D Users in both the Windows explorer and in the registry by following the Brink's explanation As this screen shots below shows View Screen Capture By following Brink's explanation I moved all newly created user account profile folder from the default location C Users into D Users I moved public user account profile folder from the default location C Users into D Users As this screen shot shows View Screen Capture I did this six months ago and everything is working well The old default location C user which no longer exists it became unused by installing any programs or using any programs preinstalled with either a user account existing user account or public user account or newly user account E e the installed programs didn't save or look for any information in the old default location The new default location for the current existing user account 'D Users Mohammad' is only used and visible for all programs And 'D Users public' for Public user account However First when I recently installed ' HP Support Assistant V ' I noticed that HP Support Assistant created file called 'RegistrationInfo' under the old default location which is 'C Users ' although the old default location of course no longer exists The full path created by installing HP Support Assistant is quot C Users Mohammad AppData Local Hewlett-Packard HP Support Framework Reg quot There is only one file called 'RegistrationInfo' created in the old default location above However it is still being edited with the date Second when I installed the iSkysoft PDF Editor version then it also re-used the old default location quot C Users quot for the current existing user account I am logged in to while installing the program This is the full path recreated when I installed iSkysoft PDF Editor C Users Mohammad AppData Local iSkysoft ISHelper However when I open 'ISHelper' I found it empty and there Old default location 'C:\Users\(existing user account)recreated again is no data or information inside it Third When I installed the driver of Sharp printer it recreated the old default location for the public user account This is the full path C Users Public Documents Printer Status Monitor This is the content of this file generated by the Printer Status Monitor Code This file is generated by the Printer Status Monitor When the IP address Old default location 'C:\Users\(existing user account)recreated again setting of print controller is changed the dialog is often indicated as quot No response Make sure the specified IP address is correct quot If you want to monitor the printer exit the printer status monitor do the operation from A to D as follows and start the printer status monitor A Check the power of printer whether it is Old default location 'C:\Users\(existing user account)recreated again on or not B When the power is on check the IP addresses If you don't know how to check the IP addresses please see your printer's operation manual or contact your network administrator C If you use LPR software or LPR port on NT Double-click the icon quot My Computer quot and double-click the quot Printer quot icon Right-click the icon of the printer and select quot Properties quot For the quot port to print to quot in the quot Details quot tab When it is NT quot Print to the following port s quot in the quot Ports quot select the port that is the correct IP address D For the quot port to print to quot when you use LPR software that does not use the IP address or print by way of a server describe the correct IP address by editing this file Please ensure that you remove the ' ' at the start of the line to enable the added configuration Syntax IP-Address Printer-Name-Shown-In-The-Explorer Printer-Name-Shown-In-The-Explorer This must be the name used in quot Printers quot... Read more

A:Old default location 'C:\Users\(existing user account)recreated again

Not all programs can be redirected to install to another drive.

I would not install Programs anywhere except on C since they write keys to registry which integrate them into the OS until uninstalled and thus should remain on C. Likewise their Program data. Also on SSD's you lose the benefit of faster performance if Programs must be read from the slower drive.

The solution to this is not to move the User Profile but only the active User folders as in User Folders - Change Default Location

Is there another reason you wanted your OS profile on a non-OS drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/351553-old-default-location-c-users-existing-user-account-recreated-again.html
Relevancy 110.94%

I noticed an annoying problem when deleting a user account from your PC Basically Windows Store app got into a pickle on my main user account I fixed it with a restore point But it a traces of user Deleting account behind user in leaves that C:\users wasn't working on my wife and son's user accounts As they barely use them and have little to lose I decided to delete their accounts and then re-create them The intention being to see if Windows Deleting a user account leaves traces of that user behind in C:\users Store worked correctly after doing so It did I deleted the accounts restarted machine for clean slate and set them up again All good but something that I noticed and really annoyed me was when I went into network Deleting a user account leaves traces of that user behind in C:\users I could see the WMP sharing media projecting my wife's name twice and the same for my son Looks a bit rubbish I went on my TV into media sharing and could see the duplicate WMP clients listed on here So as a test I deleted my son's account again and re-created and sure enough now three WMP shares from his Deleting a user account leaves traces of that user behind in C:\users name So I looked under C users and can see using my son as an example three folders son's name son's name-pc name son's name -pc name So this is why I see the duplications because good old Windows doesn't fully delete the user from C users I tried deleting those old folders but got met with either 'in use' or 'denied - you need admin access' Of course my account is an administrator so that doesn't compute I tried taking ownership of those folders and got met with all kinds of resistance but I deleted enough of them to stop the duplicate WMP shares Basically there is nothing in the folders and sub folders but just having a Roaming Microsoft Windows Libraries folder is enough to create a WMP share even for deleted users I don't know if not running the WMP share service would make a difference in that you can delete the old user But this seems a bit lame and is another one to add to my poor experiences using Windows Of course I want to keep the WMP share feature I could of turned it off to stop this duplication but it would of been completely switched off which wasn't the answer Anyway I just wanted to share this in case this causes other users wasted hours of headaches like it did me yesterday

A:Deleting a user account leaves traces of that user behind in C:\users

Having the same issue here. A user account started misbehaving so I used Settings>Accounts to remove it. But the user *folder* is still in c:\users and won't let me delete - even though I have administrator rights. How can you delete these folders?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/38555-deleting-user-account-leaves-traces-user-behind-c-users.html
Relevancy 108.79%

Greetings I have an XP machine which I only ever user myself lists "user" users" start and [SOLVED] program Merging "all menu as in there are no other users on the machine [SOLVED] Merging "user" and "all users" start menu program lists no guest account and it logs in without a password I'm trying to sort out my expansive and bloated Start Menu Programs list but it seems that there are two separate lists One for quot Joe quot the main user account and one for quot all users quot I guess because some programs give the option of installing for just one user or for everyone All of the programs show up in the Start Menu when I click on it but when I go into Windows Explorer to try and sort them out there are two separate folders C Documents and Settings All Users Start Menu Programs C Documents and Settings Joe Start Menu Programs I know I can move them around in these folders ie putting them in related groups such as quot system tools quot etc but can I move all of them from the main user to the quot all users quot folder or vice versa without any problems Thanks Joe

A:[SOLVED] Merging "user" and "all users" start menu program lists

Yes, you can consolidate them all in one, or slit them up as desired.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-merging-and-quot-user-and-quot-and-and-quot-all-users-and-quot-start-menu-program-lists-493670.html
Relevancy 107.93%

I have just removed an autorun virus from a computer and a flash drive.
The virus autoruns from the flash drive, and creates an .exe file in the 'documents and settings' (Or 'users' in vista) named after the user.

ie: C:\Users\[user name]\[user name].exe

It then copies itself to any removable media attached to the computer - and repeats.
Does anyone know what this virus is called, or what it actually does - apart from replicating itself??

I used combofix to remove the virus from C: and deleted the autorun files frmo the flash drive through CMD.
Thanks for any information.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/247724/autorun-virus-cusersuser-nameuser-nameexe/
Relevancy 107.5%

I made a mistake and removed explicit security acls of c:\users\public\desktop and c:\users\public\ntuser*.* files.please post output of following commands:

icacls c:\users\public\desktop
icacls c:\users\public\ntuser*.*
dir/x/a c:\users\public\ntuser*.*

A:default security of c:\users\public\desktop and ntuser*.*

Here is the output from those commands. However, I don't actually use the public folder so not sure if these will help you?

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/189204-default-security-c-users-public-desktop-ntuser.html
Relevancy 106.21%

Hey all My Windows Home Premium x spontaneously started using C Users Public as its default profile as started using spontaneously my Win7 C:\users\Public default profile and as such all my usual settings have turned to poop Things were working fairly fine but I was having a couple little errors like when I was trying to change my wallpaper so I thought I would do a restart When it booted back up most of my normal desktop icons had gone When I booted up Firefox all my usual addons and the way I have it set up was gone or different I was concerned as I thought I had lost all my Win7 spontaneously started using C:\users\Public as my default profile desktop icons so I opened up C Win7 spontaneously started using C:\users\Public as my default profile Users MY PROPER USER NAME Desktop and all my icons were sitting in that folder I right clicked on one of the icons on my desktop and saw that it said it was residing at C Users Public Also if I open up quot my documents quot or quot my pictures quot etc all my normal stuff isn't there as it is using C Users Public Documents etc I'm also afraid that it'll be using a LOT of wrong settings for my programs as it doesn't seem to be accessing quot MY REAL USERNAME Appdata quot for some things ie Firefox Does anyone know how Windows deals with what profile to access by default Is there an easy was of changing that Registry key or something Regards --- A bit more info on how it might have happened I had been using my computer perfectly all morning and it's been flawless for months Put it to sleep this arvo which is something I don't do very often at all Woke it back up a few hours later and everything was totally fine Went to boot up ME for the first time and it gave an error saying I must quot update to the latest PhysX quot error I downloaded and installed the latest PhysX The game booted fine I exited the game was getting a strange error when I tried to change my wallpaper thought I would reboot and ever since it hasn't bee accessing my profile

A:Win7 spontaneously started using C:\users\Public as my default profile

Have you tried a system restore to a point in time before this problem occurred?

Other than that, your user profile may be corrupted, so you might want to consider creating a new user accoint before deleting your old one.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/233023-win7-spontaneously-started-using-c-users-public-my-default-profile.html
Relevancy 106.21%

So I'm sysprepping Windows with an answer file set to CopyProfile True nbsp I log in to my customized account and sysprep generalize oobe shutdown unattend unattend xml nbsp Everything copies over just fine nbsp I get my layout in the Metro start menu etc etc However when I log in search to the screen profile shortcuts all users to search CopyProfile point on causes default user to the default profile I originally customized after sysprep everything works great nbsp But when I log into any other account created during sysprep or thereafter and I hit the windows key and do a search for quot Update quot - and select quot Windows CopyProfile causes search shortcuts on all users search screen to point to the default user profile Update quot nbsp I get an error CopyProfile causes search shortcuts on all users search screen to point to the default user profile Title C Users ORIGINALDEFAULTACCOUNT AppData Local Packages windows immersivecontrol Message quot Windows cannot access the specified device path or file nbsp You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item quot It's not every single shortcut Only a certain fiew I get a nearly identical message when trying to launch quot Programs and Features quot from start nbsp If I manually navigate to these controls they load up just fine nbsp Just the search items seem to be pointing to the wrong point nbsp Is there like a cache that copyprofile seems to be copying over for some reason I've tried modifying the built in administrator account thinking Microsoft has gotten a bit stricter on which account I can use but I get the same error Can anybody help

A:CopyProfile causes search shortcuts on all users search screen to point to the default user profile

Ok.  So.... after updating the image as of yesterday, this issue has disappeared.  Same image.  Haven't done anything differently.

I can actually use my base image, not run updates and replicate the error, but updates between the last time I ran updates (couldn't have been more than two weeks ago) and yesterday, the issue has disappeared. 

Thank you MS!

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/307fd909-192b-4538-8eb5-624a7eb50c02/copyprofile-causes-search-shortcuts-on-all-users-search-screen-to-point-to-the-default-user-profile?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 97.61%

Hi I have two accounts on my laptop Bryan as admin and James as my local account which I use for my daily workings All my work is save to a different partition on the hard drive I now notice that if I go to C users I have my admin account but there are two other user accounts James and James lenovo Originally I found James and James- user accounts so I moved the James- folders and files to my work partition just so I didn't lose the info before deleting it When I signed in again I could only sign in as a quot guest quot using the James- password I have now spent a coupe of days deleting the user are and different accounts User users account under the User Accounts setting Then deleting the James account in the only place it appears C Users and creating a new Local User account in the user accounts using Bryan admin However I find that in C drive I still have two James users - James and James lenovo I think that when I just deleted the James account in C Users it must have left some residual elements somewhere and it recreated itself and the new local account which I names User accounts and users are different simply James was forced to add to the name Lenovo to prevent conflicts Although I doesn't affect the running of the computer having both users takes up considerable space James user gbs while the new James lenovo has gb Has anyone any idea how to resolve the matter

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/35843-user-accounts-users-different.html
Relevancy 97.61%

Since updating from Win 7 to Window 10 - I have 'lost' the appropriate user name in C:\users.
Therefore when trying to set 2 other computers to recognise this particular laptop is not possible. My account is Local, and the network is private.
A visit to C:\users shows the following..........
Default.migrated
DefaultAppPool
Public
User

Obviously I can see in UAC what the username is supposed to be, and I know the password - however inputting that info does not work. (The other 2 PC's run on Win 7.)
Your thoughts and help would be appreciated.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/34694-user-name-not-shown-c-users.html
Relevancy 96.32%

I am configuring the Quote management for the C Drive in windows XP, and it allows to limit users quota to (insert number here) kb, mb, or GB.
I am wondering if i set that limitation, will it limit all users to that number?
lets say 3gb, so if 3gb is used, no one will be able to access the disk,
or, is it for per user, so every user gets to have 3gb.

Please let me know.

Thank you,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-disk-quota-per-user-or-for-all-users-357425.html
Relevancy 96.32%

For example, I deleted Office 2003 trial from my "Owner" Login but it was still on my wife's Login. When she went to download a Word Doc while in her Login it tried to open the 2003 trial. I was able to figure out this trial program had to go so we could use Word 2000. It worked.

But sure caused her grief and gnashing of teeth. Ya see, she hates PCs problems more than me. Sigh. At least I'm trying something new which is to ask for help here. She brings this up just before school for the kids (witching hour, ya know?).

Final question... Is there some way to Remove a program from more than one Login at a time ? Must be...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-remove-programs-from-all-users-instead-of-just-one-user.643373/
Relevancy 96.32%

C:\Users\(user)\AppData was invisible. Combofix successfully fixed it. Yet I want a helper to check my log file and tell what was wrong and if my system is still infected.

Any help?

tnx
Behrooz

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/406696/cusersuserappdata-was-invisible/
Relevancy 96.32%

Followed instructions into regedit to switch ".bak" id with twin, however, I noticed later that my friend had copied one page of instructions twice, which caused me to repeat the the step about changing values to "0" on both twins. As a result (I assume) all but one of my ids disappeared on Start and they're no longer found in the user files. I now have one id and a guest id only when I sign on to Windows. I've attempted to "add user" through "User Accounts and Family Safety" but the added accounts don't show up on the sign in. I know the regedit is the problem but I don't know the step-by-step method of fixing it. THANKS for any help you can offer me.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/400984-corrupted-user-id-cant-restore-add-new-users.html
Relevancy 96.32%

In WinXP - Win7, is there is a way to disable a user with administrator status from adding users or changing other users' passwords, or the only way to accomplish this is to make it a limited user?

A:Can I disable a user from adding users?

By definition...there are two types of users...limited and admin.Setting/changing permissions for either group...affects all within that group.User AccountsLouis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/296874/can-i-disable-a-user-from-adding-users/
Relevancy 96.32%

C:\Users\(user)\AppData was invisible. Combofix successfully fixed it. Yet I want a helper to check my log file and tell what was wrong and if my system is still infected.

Any help?

tnx
Behrooz

A:C:\Users\(user)\AppData was invisible.

Welcome aboard Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop. * Double-click SecurityCheck.exe * Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. * A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.===================================================================================Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free to your desktop. * Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program. * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish. * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. * Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan. * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. * When completed, a log will open in Notepad. * Post the log back here.Be sure to restart the computer.The log can also be found here:C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txtOr at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/406697/cusersuserappdata-was-invisible/
Relevancy 96.32%

I changed my user name but that in the Users' folder remains unchanged. Is it possible to change that name to be the same as the new user ID on log-on screen?

A:User name changed but that in Users' folder is not.

You may need to make a NEW account, then delete the old one.
Changing the User Account name will not change the name in the Users folder.
Warning! Never change the name of the folder manually, or applications that depends on User Data will not work properly.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/17956-user-name-changed-but-users-folder-not.html
Relevancy 96.32%

I am configuring the Quote management for the C Drive in windows XP, and it allows to limit users quota to (insert number here) kb, mb, or GB.
I am wondering if i set that limitation, will it limit all users to that number?
lets say 3gb, so if 3gb is used, no one will be able to access the disk,
or, is it for per user, so every user gets to have 3gb.

Please let me know.

Thank you,

A:XP Disk Quota Per user, or All users?

Start | Help and Support, search for Quotas and users
Because disk quotas monitor volume use by individual user, each user's utilization of disk space does not affect the disk quotas for other users of the same volume. For example, if Volume F has a quota limit of 500 megabytes (MB) and a user saves 500 megabytes (MB) worth of files to Volume F, that user cannot write additional data to the volume without first deleting or moving some existing files from it. However, each of the other users can continue to save up to 500 MB worth of files on that volume as long as there is sufficient free space.
Disk quotas are based on file ownership and are independent of the folder location of the user's files within the volume. For example, if users move their files from one folder to another on the same volume, their volume space usage does not change. However, if users copy their files to a different folder on the same volume, their volume space usage doubles. Or, if another user creates a 200 kilobyte (KB) file and you take ownership of that file, that user's disk use decreases by 200 KB and your disk use increases by 200 KB.
For instructions on enabling disk quotas, see To enable disk quotas.

You need to use fsutils from a command line to modify quotas on a per user basis so that different users will have different limits.

HTH

Jerry

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-disk-quota-per-user-or-all-users.810493/
Relevancy 96.32%

It is astounding to me that Microsoft would not allow users to delete a user picture, if the user didn't want one at the logon screen.

What possible reason is there to disallow deleting the picture. I know you can create a blank jpg, use a different picture, but why not just eliminate the user picture. A choice to get rid of that bad decision some of us make in testing and trying things is just too puzzling to let go.

Windows, do us a favor and listen.

Thanks,

Patrick
mpw1962

A:Why can't users delete user pictures?

Hello there, Welcome.

Windows, do us a favor and listen

Listen to what or who?

How to remove previously used user picture/avatar images in Windows 8.1

If you don't want them anymore try this:

In File Explorer, type the following in the address bar (or just click folders until you get to it):

C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures

Replace the "YOUR USER NAME" text with your actual user name.

Easiest way, you can hit winkey+S & type this

%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures

hit enter.

delete pictures.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/44052-why-cant-users-delete-user-pictures.html
Relevancy 95.89%

No matter what I do, and how much I edit the security settings on that folder (not that it lets me even do that) I can't access this folder for some reason?

What's the deal? Thanks.

This is on Windows 7. I have two admin accounts. I can't access it from either account.

A:Can't Access "Default User" folder in Users Folder

Can you take ownership of the folder?

Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks

Taking Ownership of Files and Folders
As an administrator you can take ownership of a file or folder as follows:
1. In Windows Explorer, rt-click on "properties" for the file or folder.
2. Security tab | Advanced
3. Owner tab| click Edit
4. In the Change Owner To list, select the new owner. To take ownership of all subfolders and files within the folder, select Replace Owner On Subcontainers And Objects option.
5. OK | OK

Assigning Ownership
As administrator or the current owner, you can assign ownership to another user or group as follows:
1. In Windows Explorer, rt-click on "Properties" for the file or folder.
2. Security tab | Advanced
3. Owner tab | Edit
4. Click Other Users Or Groups
5. Type the name of a user or a group | click Check Names | Choose the name you want if its not already filled in | OK
6. From the Change Owner list, select the new owner. For a folder, select Replace Owner On Subcontainers and Objects to assign ownership of all subfolders and files within the folder.
7. Ok | OK

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/77973-cant-access-default-user-folder-users-folder.html
Relevancy 95.89%

No matter what I do, and how much I edit the security settings on that folder (not that it lets me even do that) I can't access this folder for some reason?

What's the deal? Thanks.

This is on Windows 7. I have two admin accounts. I can't access it from either account.

A:Can't Access "Default User" folder in Users Folder

Hello,

I don't know why you want to, but you have to fiddle quite a bit with the permissions.

Navigate to the folder (Default User) and right click on it and select Properties.Under the Security tab, click Advanced.Under the Owner tab, click Edit.Click "Other Users and Groups".Click Advanced.Click "Find Now".Scroll down and double click on Everyone.Click OK THREE times.Click on the Permissions tab.Under type Deny, single click on it and click Remove.Click OK.Click Edit (now on the standard file Property window under the Security tab).Click Add.Click Advanced.Click "Find Now".Scroll down and double click on Everyone.Click OK.Single click on Everyone and then tick the "Full Control" box under Allow.Click OK TWO times.
This will get you in, but I don't know why you want to. Don't fiddle with anything in there.

Richard

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/275475-cant-access-default-user-folder-users-folder.html
Relevancy 95.46%

We are running Win 7 enterprise & Win 10 Enterprise and seem to be having issues with profiles. Recently we have noticed that multiples of staff accounts are appearing in the format shown below.

I have never seen this happen before and they appearing all over the place. Our staff use redirected folders but local settings are kept on the machines. I've never seen this happen before, but also after a while windows will prevent the user logging in. The
only work around we have found is to remove the folders and the registry entries. Anyone else seen or know how to fix this?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e94252e4-63e0-4d5d-81eb-0ef2218644a6/multiple-copies-of-user-accounts-in-cusers?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 95.46%

Hello,

I'm using an Active Directory and I want that users don't use the windows folders.

-- Every user has in his "Profile" a Home Folder like: * Connect | Y: | to | \\sambastorage\USER |

-- In a GPO I'm using UserConfiguration\Prefences\WindowsConf\Registry to modify attributes.

With this options the users only view Y: But in a OpenDialog if you "GO UP" to "Desktop" and user could see: Libraries, USER FOLDER (for ex. John Smith) and Computer.

I want that user only see Computer or that he can't go up to Desktop. Other thing could be change the USERFOLDER to Y: and the Y: folder has the normal folders (AppData, Documents, Music, ....) and the normal user folders in Y:

Could you help me??

Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/72943-how-remove-user-folder-libraries-ad-users.html
Relevancy 95.46%

I have a new Windows 7 machine with an Admin account and two standard accounts for both my wife and I. Recently, when she changed the icon associated with a Global icon (program for all users) on the desktop (which required Admin permissions) it wiped out the icons in my desktop and replaced them with the idiotic blank white page icon.

Question, is there anyway to set up shortcut desktop icons if they are Global to have individualized appearances for different user accounts?

Note: I do not have access to wife's account thru mine, only thru the Admin account. I realize this is why I got the blank.

A:Global (all users) vs User Icon question

Wow, no help, eh?

(sigh)

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/77620-global-all-users-vs-user-icon-question.html
Relevancy 95.46%

Not sure how it got there or why, is it suppose to be there? it's size is 0 bytes, tried scanning it with both avast and virustotal, neither found anything

A:'ipconfig' file in c:\users\user folder?

If it is 0 bytes, you needn't care about it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/585050/ipconfig-file-in-cusersuser-folder/
Relevancy 95.46%

It appears my regular Windows 7 account (a "super admin" account) is blocked from other users. When I try to access the user files from another Windows 7 account, or from my Windows 8 side, it does not let me access the files. Is there a way around this? I'm guessing its some tiny setting or something I have missed or overlooked, but idk.

Thanks

A:User accounts/data blocked from other users?

Have you set a password for your account on windows 7?

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/197171-user-accounts-data-blocked-other-users.html
Relevancy 95.46%

Hi,
I have asked this question in another forum and thought this would be a better forum to ask this question.
I have 1 user who logs on with the user name reference. She recently logged on to find that all of her folders and files where no longer in My Documents, Downloads etc. When I search the properties and location of these folders they have a path to C://users/staff/documents.
I am trying to have her folders and files located in the correct places. There is no user named reference any where on this pc. The only place that user name appears is on the log in screen. I did a search for the name reference and the properties of the docs
pointed to the staff account.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4e1cc6bc-9339-44c6-ae2b-5653bd10dda6/users-folder-properties-point-to-another-user?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 95.46%

If I go in as myself, I can't find the folder Users\my user\Documents but I can if I go in as admin.

Checking folder permissions in Admin, my user has full permissions so I'm rather baffled why I can't see it.

Actually, I seem to have found the folder C:\Users\my user\Documents but the folder is called Public Desktop - I haven't renamed it.

Any ideas as to what may have happened?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/261799-can-find-users-my-user-documents-folder.html
Relevancy 95.46%

I have a WIndows R server on that server I have about users My desktop computer is Windows my boss' computer is Windows We are both users for all Folder Specific up one to user users shows on the network I am trying to share a folder with only him and none of the other employees I have gone to Properties Sharing advanced sharing checked share this folder then gone to permissions I removed everyone and added him and me with full control The dang folder is showing up on every computer on the network and they all have access to it and open and change anything in the folder No matter what I have tried I get the same result Hopefully someone here can have an answer on how to fix this I had no problems with Folder Specific to one user shows up for all users this on my old computer and only Folder Specific to one user shows up for all users he and I could see the folder That computer suffered a hard drive failure so we are working with a new machine All other net work functions see to be working fine But then we share pretty much everything else

A:Folder Specific to one user shows up for all users

Welcome to the forum. Have you tried setting the permissions on ntfs on the share did you remove the Group everyone

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/67412-folder-specific-one-user-shows-up-all-users.html
Relevancy 95.46%

I am networking among others Win machines and Win machine One of the Win 's used the same user name and password as the Win machine I wanted to in Folder User Name Profile Change C:\Users fix it so that the two usernames and passwords were different--specifically I wanted to alter the Win user name and password I though first about just changing the username on the Win machine but recalled that doing so would not change the related user profile folder name in C Users I could not recall how to do so I found this tutorial on our Windows forum From a thread on the our Win forum I learned that the procedures of the tutorial also apply to Win maybe there is a related Win tutorial that I didn't find After reading through the tutorial I was uncertain about a few things and also could not figure out why proceeding as described would be advantageous in regard to what seemed like an easier way to get at least mostly the same result So instead of using the tutorial I added a new administrative user--the level I wanted having the user name and password I wanted Copied the files and desktop items shortcuts and a few folders I would need from the old account desktop to the new account desktop Did minor desktop customization on the new desktop I usually don't Change User Profile Folder Name in C:\Users do much theme-wise Deleted the old account and all was good once I joined my HomeGroup and shared a few not HomeGroup items The stage now is set to do an a Change User Profile Folder Name in C:\Users Win Win Lion and Mt Lion networking experiment that I am interested in I had though that some programs and shortcuts might not work but was unconcerned since the computer and its installation are quot old quot I figured that I would just add things back as needed if there were problems As it turns out Change User Profile Folder Name in C:\Users all the programs and shortcuts worked Anyway I am curious about if and why it might have been advantageous to do things the tutorial way rather than the way I did them It seems to me that the fuss and bother is somewhat less the way I proceeded All discussion and thoughts appreciated

A:Change User Profile Folder Name in C:\Users

Hello znod,

I agree that it is best and safer to create a new account instead of trying to rename the old user profile folder.

The tutorial is just how to do it if one really wants to, but I do have the note at the top of the tutorial that would be best to create a new account instead.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/15107-change-user-profile-folder-name-c-users.html
Relevancy 95.46%

Here is my problem I have pc's with Windows Pro all in one home group all the pc's have reserved IP's from my router from - I want to say that i don't have any problems accessing the pc's |connect change C:\Users pc user 8 rename IP Cant | by Win each other but the problem comes when i try to change the User account Win 8 pc user change | Cant rename C:\Users |connect by IP name on one of them then Win 8 pc user change | Cant rename C:\Users |connect by IP i cant access this pc anymore no matter what I enter in the fields when it ask me before I try to access a share on it For example has Old user - User and i perfectly access any of the shares by the run - but as soon as I change the name of the account to User and try to enter by and user - User same password I get the login screen redisplayed and asking me to correct either the user or the password which is obviously correct I have noticed that C Users User is not changed to C Users User could that be the problem I also played with the security options of any of the shared folders but no any luck again Can someone help me to find the cause of this and successfully change the account with my new user and enter my shares with no problem Thank you in Advance

A:Win 8 pc user change | Cant rename C:\Users |connect by IP

Hi,
i think that is the problem because your PC may not have Administrator acsess to change the username.Did you logged in with the admin account??.Or you have to turn homegroup off edit the username and turn it on again.Did you tried that?

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/41334-win-8-pc-user-change-cant-rename-c-users-connect-ip.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Just joined this forum recently, so this is my first post. Anyways, I've been looking online for a method to simply delete the folder of an old user profile in C:\Users. I have yet to come across a successful method. The message that appears when I try to delete the folder is "You require permission from ('computer-name'\Administrator to make changes to this folder". Any proven methods or tips? It's not a big problem or anything, just a mere nuisance.

I also wish to rename my active user profile folder to something else...

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/55706-removing-renaming-user-profile-folder-c-users.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Annual cleanup of P10 Toshiba laptop, re-installed Toshiba recovery disc. Initial boot showed choice of users. Second boot reverted to old-style type your name in box, enter pass-word and O.K. Anyone know of a quick fix?

A:xp requires typed user name rather than offering choice of users

when I go to "Change the way users log on and off" I get this message

<Client Services for Netware has disabled the Welcome screen and Fast User Switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall Client Services for Netware>

Control panel does not show this as a program. Netware is in Windows\system32, but I have not been able to access it.

Any ideas?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-requires-typed-user-name-rather-than-offering-choice-of-users-146575.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Hi!

I just detected in my Windows' users' folder an user we don't have at home: wangzhisong

I checked in Internet and it looks like that it can be a virus or something similar. After running AVG and Avira rescues CDs to clean up my machine this folder still exists and I'm not sure if my computer is clean. What can I do? Thanks!

Kind regards

A:I detected the user wangzhisong in my Windows' users' folder

Hi, Frank;
If the folder is empty, it is to be hoped that the problem is gone. However, I would recommend downloading and using Malware Bytes as it goes a little deeper into malware as well as viruses. Although I like AVG, it doesn't always find everything. If MB doesn't find anything, and you find your pc running slower than usual or having unusual errors, it might be necessary to run some other programs and/or tests that others here would have more expertise with.

Good Luck!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516925/i-detected-the-user-wangzhisong-in-my-windows-users-folder/
Relevancy 94.17%

Hello Excel Experts. I have a need to protect an Excel workbook that currently is on a shared drive. I have one person whom updates the spreadsheet everyday. However there are several people that view the spreadsheet. How can I allow that one person edit access and everyone else readonly access? Any help is greatly appreciated.

A:Excel 2010 - Allow 1 user to make changes, Read only for other users

I would suggest to password protect the file an allow for read-only if no password is provided.
If the person allowed to edit should then open the file using the password so he / she can make changes.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/excel-2010-allow-1-user-to-make-changes-read-only-for-other-users.1054825/
Relevancy 94.17%

Hi all Thanks for taking the time to look at my thread any help would be very much appreciated Story in brief My system is ruining Windows Pro x NOT On initial install I followed this tutorial to relocate the user profiles to nd drive Recently this nd drive has failed I do however have the important contents backup in forms windows backup and FileHistory on a rd drive I can still from failure backup HHD following Data User Restore users boot into windows but Restore users from backup following User Data HHD failure cannot login for obvious reasons error given is 'user profile service failed to load user profile' Summary of system drives Drive -Letter Label C Local Disk Contents Windows operating system and Restore users from backup following User Data HHD failure install programs excluding user profiles Notes Drive -Letter Label D UserStore Contents User Profiles Notes The HDD has failed Drive -Letter Label E Backup Contents System image C drive only Windows backup entire system FileHistory My user profile only Notes Drive -Letter Label D UserStore Contents None Notes New formatted NTFS single partition Current operating state of system Only one user account was created on this system I will refer to this as quot MyUser quot Using regedit via cmd from quot advanced startup options quot I have activated the inbuilt admin account but it is not accessible on logon screen after both standard and safe mode bootsCan boot logon screen but logon produces error 'user profile service failed to load user profile' Can boot into safe mode and successfully login using MyUser account doing with displays the welcome messages as if first logon and once the desktop is reach a message box from the system tray informs that the quot Default Profile quot has been loaded I have bootable usb stick with a Linux distro Where I'm looking for help Going forward I no longer wish to have my user profile located on a nd drive primarily so I upgrade to Windows in future and secondly because all the trouble it has caused in this instance In future I just use symbolic links to relocate content Basically I just need be able to access the windows desktop from non-safe mode So I can build a recovery disk media to do a clean install or restore from my backup Not really sure what the best way to go about this would be but I imagine options would be Recreate user profile from backup on the new drive Force windows to recreate the quot User quot folder on the D drive Force windows to recreate the quot User quot folder after reverting the user profile path back to it's default on C I don't know how possible feasible any of the above are advice on this would be appreciated I guess another option would be to create a recover disk media from safe mode and then do a clean install from there is this possible Thanks Leech

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/73602-restore-users-backup-following-user-data-hhd-failure.html
Relevancy 94.17%

With Vista Home Premium I ve encountered two strange thingswell two today anyway When I changed my User Admin name in the User Account Center it changed to the new name in the Welcome Window and in the User Account Center but not in C Users The old name is still there with all the files and Folders listed But as I found out it seems impossible to change the old name there in Computer to the new name as it is not allowed even as admin So can it be changed or does the old name stay under C Users and the new name only shows in the Welcome screen and the User Account Center Another strange User account name old account in shows name but at C:\Users New user remains startup thing An old User name Folder It not being used and is empty that I deleted previously in the User Control Center because the file had problems with a corrupt file still sits there in the User Folder The folder is empty it says but shows a couple of Roxio files and I New user account name shows at startup but old name remains in C:\Users can t delete this file It says files are in use elsewhere Neither problem is pressing but I would like to clean up these loose ends Even one at a time Thanks G nbsp

A:New user account name shows at startup but old name remains in C:\Users

1) this was the same on most of the earlier Windows versions. When one renamed a account the "Document and Settings" folder did NOT get changed. You will find that most of the people that did this will find their folder under the "Owner" folder.

2) When you deleted this account did you select the "Delete files" check box? What you may want to try, boot up in the "Safe Mode", then try and delete these files and folders. Reboot back in the real mode and see it it worked.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-user-account-name-shows-at-startup-but-old-name-remains-in-c-users.619804/
Relevancy 94.17%

That is the error message I get when I try to modify parental controls. Help

A:Unable to set user settings for administrators or unknown users

try SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/270931-unable-set-user-settings-administrators-unknown-users.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Hi All,

(if this message is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it)

I have been using a Linksys router for a while (hooked to my cable modem)... I was the only user....everything was fine....speed was not an issue (it was fast as ever)..

..now I have a roommate that moved in on the weekend....she just plugged her cable into the router (as user #2) and now BOTH of our connects are terribly slow...i mean SLOW.....some pages take minutes to load, or don't even load!

What can the problem be?? with just me it is fine, but when I plug her in, each of our connections gets slooow!

thanks in advance,

Zach.

A:Router: adding 2nd user slows ALL users' connections!

How about if you just plug her in without your machine? It sounds like her computer may have some malware or spyware that's using the bandwidth. There shouldn't be any impact on your throughput if the second computer is not doing anything, I have a bunch of computers connected at any one time, but they don't impact my performance when they're just sitting there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/router-adding-2nd-user-slows-all-users-connections.394634/
Relevancy 94.17%

and now I'm stuck. I cant install some programs or drivers because the Admin user is disable.

How I did it?
I changed my user in the "control panel"to a "Standart User" and I used the "Local users and groups" to disable the Administrator account. How can I now get administration?

A:I made my user to be a Standard Users but admin disable

Hello Jiddisch, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Usually when you do not have an administrator account available to log in with, you can boot into Safe Mode through the Advanced Boot Options screen to use the built-in Administrator account to then change your account back to an administrator account type instead.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/7008-i-made-my-user-standard-users-but-admin-disable.html
Relevancy 94.17%

I got two cases on this today It was the subject of an Ed up: Users 7 if cannot 8.1 was upgrade Profile moved? User Heads to Pro Bott Heads up: Users cannot upgrade to 8.1 Pro if 7 User Profile was moved? article a year ago though I hadn't heard anything until now It seems some users wanting to upgrade to Pro have been stranded and are blaming moving User profile based on Ed Bott's article Don't move your Windows user profiles folder to another drive ZDNet The latest case used Kari's tutorial for User Profiles - Create and Move During Windows Installation I don't yet fully know the irreversibility of this and whether it might also apply to User Profile - Change Default Location Will Method Two to Restore User Profile to Defaults suffice for either method of moving I've never recommended moving the entire User Profile but only the active User folders mainly because of the thicket of file associations involved in AppData Kari and Shawn may be needed to help in UNrelocate User Profile Prior to Upgrading and another thread I'll find the link for

A:Heads up: Users cannot upgrade to 8.1 Pro if 7 User Profile was moved?

That Ed Bott article is incorrect. Kari will be able to explain a lot better than I can.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/345927-heads-up-users-cannot-upgrade-8-1-pro-if-7-user-profile-moved.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Hi all Thanks for taking the time to look at my thread any help would be very much appreciated Story in brief My system is ruining Windows Pro x NOT On initial install I followed this tutorial to relocate the user profiles to nd drive Recently this nd drive has failed I do however have the important contents backup in forms windows backup and FileHistory on a rd drive I can still boot into windows but cannot login for obvious reasons error given is 'user profile service failed Restore following Data from users backup HHD failure User to load user profile' Summary of system drives Drive -Letter Label C Local Disk Contents Windows operating system and install programs excluding user profiles Notes Drive -Letter Label D UserStore Contents User Profiles Notes The HDD has failed Drive -Letter Label E Backup Contents System image C Restore users from backup following User Data HHD failure drive only Windows backup entire system FileHistory My user profile only Notes Drive -Letter Label D UserStore Contents None Notes New formatted NTFS single partition Current operating state of system Only one user account was created on this system I will refer to this as quot MyUser quot Using regedit via cmd from quot advanced startup options quot I have activated the inbuilt admin account but it is not accessible on logon screen after both standard and safe mode bootsCan boot logon screen but logon produces error 'user profile service failed to load user profile' Can boot into safe mode and successfully login using MyUser account doing with displays the welcome messages as if first logon and once the desktop is reach a message box from the system tray informs that the quot Default Profile quot has been loaded I have bootable usb stick with a Linux distro Where I'm looking for help Going forward I no longer wish to have my user profile located on a nd drive primarily so I upgrade to Windows in future and secondly because all the trouble it has caused in this instance In future I just use symbolic links to relocate content Basically I just need be able to access the windows desktop from non-safe mode So I can build a recovery disk media to do a clean install or restore from my backup Not really sure what the best way to go about this would be but I imagine options would be Recreate user profile from backup on the new drive Force windows to recreate the quot User quot folder on the D drive Force windows to recreate the quot User quot folder after reverting the user profile path back to it's default on C I don't know how possible feasible any of the above are advice on this would be appreciated I guess another option would be to create a recover disk media from safe mode and then do a clean install from there is this possible Thanks Leech

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/73602-restore-users-backup-following-user-data-hhd-failure.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Hi, everyone!
When I log on, I get that dreaded error saying that the wrong password was given. Then I go back and log in with a different account. I would like to get rid of the user account that tries to log in first, but when I go to Control-User Accounts-Manage Another Account, it isn't listed. Where the heck is it?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/52979-three-users-splash-screen-but-only-two-listed-under-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 94.17%

First let me say I spend almost ALL my time in the desktop and my main pc's still have win When I upgraded an old win laptop to I used my HotMail account After getting some Store apps and setting & merge Can 1-HotMail 1-Live I users. user? 1-Local to up SkyDrive I decided I did not 1-HotMail & 1-Local users. Can I merge to 1-Live user? like having MS see everything so I created a local account and was able to move most data over I think from using the Public folders except for some DRM'ed Flash video courses On both accounts desktop I believe I installed the win Skydrive download Next I upgraded in-place to and basically had to repeat this process all over again Upgrading to and trying to get password protected file makes me think I might cave to MS 1-HotMail & 1-Local users. Can I merge to 1-Live user? and try to merge both accounts 1-HotMail & 1-Local users. Can I merge to 1-Live user? into LIVE account Does everybody really like having everything on a MS Live account It seems like they force you if you did want to use any apps and desktop Skydrive So I'm hoping to get some help trying to merge my accounts into new MS Live user account and not lose the few apps I bought or the DRM I know it's probably hopeless but any help or suggestions on how would be most welcome

A:1-HotMail & 1-Local users. Can I merge to 1-Live user?

Hello chockfullof,

No worries. When you purchase apps in the Store, you will always be able to download and install it again without having to purchase it again.

If you like, here's a workaround if you wanted your current local account to be your Microsoft account, but your current Microsoft account will be switched and deleted.

Switch your Microsoft account to be a local account.Switch you old local account to be your Microsoft account now. Your settings from the Microsoft account will automatically sync.Any modern apps not installed in the now Microsoft account, you can use "Your Apps" (OPTION ONE below) in the Store to install them again without having to purchase them again.
Apps - Install Metro Apps from Windows 8 StoreYou may need to create shortcuts for any desktop programs that you don't have from the old Microsoft account now local account in the now Microsoft account.Copy anything else you wanted form the old Microsoft account now local account in the now Microsoft account.When everything checks out, you could delete the old Microsoft account now local account from first step.
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/41016-1-hotmail-1-local-users-can-i-merge-1-live-user.html
Relevancy 94.17%

I've corrupted the permissions on my C:\Users\Public\Public\Downloads folder. How can I recreate this folder? I've tried deleting the folder and then recreating it in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\..\Shell Folders & User Shell Folders, but
to no avail.
This is on a Windows 8.1 Pro x64, non-domain, desktop installation.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9811f36d-fe94-472c-aa06-96c0f3d30f57/how-to-recreate-the-cuserspublicpublicdownloads-folder?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 93.31%

Dell Dimension desktop Pentium GHz GB RAM Windows XP Pro SP single machine i e not networked PC-cillin Internet Security always up to date IE for browser This computer has been running perfectly for over a year until days ago We have users on the Welcome Screen and they all have administrator accounts access is switch users, Fast Switching, cannot User denied, XP Pro You can log on to any account with no problem If you log off someone else can log on to their account with no problem However if you are logged on and want to stay logged on and then click lt Log Off gt lt Switch User gt and then try logging on Fast User Switching, cannot switch users, access is denied, XP Pro with another account after about seconds the screen goes black except for a box in the center that has the Fast User Switching, cannot switch users, access is denied, XP Pro following message The system cannot log you on due to the following error access is denied Please try again or consult your system administrator underneath the above wording is a box that says OK I then click OK At this point the Welcome Screen comes back and it will have the following It will say that the person who clicked lt Switch User gt is Logged on When you click on the logged in person or the other two accounts it just brings up the same black screen with the same box saying you cannot log in and access is denied However it only takes th of a second or less to do it rather than the seconds it took the first time Also it asks for password once in a while I can t figure out a pattern to this Until days ago we just clicked on our user account name and the password box never came up It does come up once in a while now but you can leave it blank and press enter and everything appears to work exactly like it does when you left click on your user name and then press enter This password box usually does not pop up right at first after rebooting but I think it has come up right after rebooting Once the password box comes up it keeps coming up for every account every time until the computer is turned off and on again Everything appears to work exactly the same whether the password box comes up or it doesn t come up Also we cannot log in to our Yahoo mail bank account or credit card account IE appears to be working perfectly We can go to Yahoo or our bank account web site or do virtually anything else on the web However when we try to click on the log on page of any of these sites we get the message Internet Explorer cannot display the web page Thus to get e-mail we have to go to another computer I turned off our firewall and it worked the same I have done a complete scan of the computer in the last hours with PC-cillin and I ran Lavasoft s AdAware but nothing other than cookies and some MRU most recently used registry items In lt Control Panel gt lt User Accounts gt lt Change the way users log on gt both use the Welcome Screen and Use Fast User Switching are checked I made a new th account while in Safe Mode but it works the same way I ran the command lt Run gt lt services msc gt lt Fast User Switching Compatability gt It was set to manual I switched it to automatic but it worked the same so I set it back to manual I have not tried the computer without Fast User Switching I would like to use it if I can but it is not a high priority I know it takes up system resources and perhaps turning it off would solve some or all of the problems and this might be the best solution I am not sure if all the problems are related Really the main problem is getting e-mail and using other web site accounts that require a log on page that we can t use now Thanks HaHo P S I will keep checking e-mail although it is a little more difficult to do nbsp

A:Fast User Switching, cannot switch users, access is denied, XP Pro

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-switching-cannot-switch-users-access-is-denied-xp-pro.794399/
Relevancy 93.31%

I went to setup networking (sharing files with Thomson SpeedTouch TG585
V7 Modem/Router wirelessly) unsuccessfully but now at startup (vista home premium) appear to choose between two users USER and GUEST ? How I login as USER without the prompt to choose ?

Is it really needed two users (and same time the choose user choice) when setup networking (sharing files with Thomson SpeedTouch TG585 V7 Modem/Router wirelessly) ???

Vista may get setup sharing files with Thomson SpeedTouch TG585 V7 Modem/Router wirelessly [vistas:home premium+home basic], thomson sdays yes, well ?

A:but now at startup (vista home premium) appear to choose between two users USER and G

Originally Posted by lse123

I went to setup networking (sharing files with Thomson SpeedTouch TG585
V7 Modem/Router wirelessly) unsuccessfully but now at startup (vista home premium) appear to choose between two users USER and GUEST ? How I login as USER without the prompt to choose ?

Is it really needed two users (and same time the choose user choice) when setup networking (sharing files with Thomson SpeedTouch TG585 V7 Modem/Router wirelessly) ???

Vista may get setup sharing files with Thomson SpeedTouch TG585 V7 Modem/Router wirelessly [vistas:home premium+home basic], thomson sdays yes, well ?

LSe

Guest cant be required to enable sharing with any router. If you disable guest you may have a few problems if guest is the owner of the files you want to share

Ken

Edit: could you tell us more about the newtork setup and files you want to share?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/245077-but-now-startup-vista-home-premium-appear-choose-between-two-users-user-g.html
Relevancy 93.31%

WinXP Home, 4 users, only main user can access interent.

Any setting I can change to get the DSL to operate with the other user accounts?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/winxp-home-4-users-only-main-user-can-access-interent.315596/
Relevancy 93.31%

I have two main types of users. Staff and Technician

When the database opens i want FrmStaffMenu to open if the user us in the Staff user group and Switchboard to open in the user is in the Technician user group.

How do i do this?

Relevancy 93.31%

With ATA, it is licensed per user. Is that the number of people in our company? or is that also the number of user accounts that were created to run services. For example, I have an user account in Active Directory that is used by our backup software to
access servers. Do I need to license that user account in ATA?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/07eed05f-8b39-4ad0-829f-227fac0d843f/licensing-people-users-or-also-include-services-that-have-user-accounts?forum=mata
Relevancy 93.31%

I'm hoping this isn't some dumb simple little solution but I've been searching for a while and have yet to find anything matching these issues I've used my Win laptop with only one Unable Access Users Limiting Switch to Log Off, or C: and User Standard user account for years Last night I set up more accounts -- two Admin Unable to Switch Users or Log Off, and Limiting Standard User C: Access and Standard the Standard is a Visitor user that will Unable to Switch Users or Log Off, and Limiting Standard User C: Access not have privileges to browse my C drive which from what I have read Guest function cannot do I'm not certain what's happened to my settings over the years I know some things were tweaked when I tried using AVG Tuneup last year but I am having tons of problems with the original account regarding changing users The Log Off option under Shut Down is greyed out on ONLY the original user The others function There is no Switch User option on any of the accounts I have changed the gpedit Hide Fast Switching option to Not Configured -- it was Enabled tried Disabled but no change to set to Not Configured When my primary account logs off screen saver Lock sleep etc there is no option to Switch User from the logon screen It ALWAYS says Locked and does not provide any options aside from powering down So basically the only way for me to access another account from the primary is to power down then reboot and login to one of the others So simply put what is going on and how do I fix this Secondly since I'm already asking for advice I want the standard user quot Visitor quot to be unable to browse my C drive Their only access should be Visitor docs and a few programs I selected C drive from the primary user and tried editing permissions I'm not too familiar with these settings so I tried simply unchecking everything from quot Authenticated Users quot so only quot Administrators quot had rights But then I couldn't access C from any of the accounts except the primary so I changed everything back for now What do I need to do to accomplish this correctly Thanks a lot for the time and help The machine is clean frequently monitored by updated Norton and fully scanned twice weekly so I'm confident it's not a malware issue I've been wrong before though

A:Unable to Switch Users or Log Off, and Limiting Standard User C: Access

Found a solution to this issue elsewhere. Moderators, feel free to delete this post. Couldn't quite figure that one out...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/unable-to-switch-users-or-log-off-and-limiting-standard-user-c-access-591050.html
Relevancy 93.31%

I have Windows XP Professional -bit A few hours ago I went away from my computer for a few minutes and discovered that there was a BSOD C: denied User profile to corrupted is other access the users Drive for and being displayed I didn t think to write down the error code doh and instead just restarted the computer When I got to the sign in screen and tried to sign into my only user account it started to load and after a few seconds a pop-up appeared with a -second countdown that said quot User Environment Windows cannot load the locally stored profile Possible causes of this error include insufficient User profile corrupted and access to the C: Drive is denied for other users security rights or a corrupt local profile If this problem persists contact your network administrator quot Note that this is a home computer After clicking quot OK quot before the quot Time Remaining quot countdown ran out this message appeared quot User Environment Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off quot This also had a countdown and when I clicked the OK button it loaded the new profile which had the same name and security permissions as my regular profile has but otherwise looked like a new profile I checked my local disk drive and all of my files appeared to be safe and sound so I went searching to find how to fix this The first link I found was this I followed the instructions and made a new profile to copy the files to and another new profile to act as a middleman I finished step in the quot Copy files to the new user profile quot section but despite both of them appearing to be administrators when I try to access the C drive from either one I get an error that says quot C is not accessible Access is denied quot So I went off searching again to find a solution to this new problem and found this link I was able to complete all of the steps in it but the error was not resolved So that s the situation I m now stuck using a temporary user profile while all of my files are being kept from me on my own hard drive Can anybody help me out I m computer literate when it comes to average tasks but I d appreciate if any steps involving something even a little advanced such as using the command prompt could be detailed enough to prevent me from screwing something up Thanks a lot nbsp

A:User profile corrupted and access to the C: Drive is denied for other users

Hello and welcome to TSG Forums.

Try booting into Safe Mode by tapping Function 8 before XP loads, then log in to the Administrator account. Go through the process of taking ownership of all the relevant files and folders in the name of the new User Account then restart back into Normal Mode and see if it worked.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profile-corrupted-and-access-to-the-c-drive-is-denied-for-other-users.998041/
Relevancy 93.31%

People My Win Pro -bit machine has garbled names for accounts users folders and user profiles I have looked into my copy of quot Windows Inside and Out quot by Bott et al but can't dope out what to do I'd like to keep the log-on screen names and conform other names to them In this forum's tutorials I found quot Windows User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name quot but it describes a problem much less messier than mine so user Corrupted profiles and names accounts, users, for folders, I am Corrupted names for accounts, users, folders, and user profiles asking for help Obviously a man who can make such a hash of things needs a problem-specific step-by-step fix Please someone Code EXHIBIT A Log-on screen JackAdmin Jack Rebecca log on Jack gt explorer gt Favorites Desktop Libraries Jack my files listed here Computer Network Control Panel Recycle Bin C Users Guest Jack my files listed here Public Rebecca Control Panel gt All CP Items gt System gt System Properties gt User Profiles gt Profiles stored on this computer Default Profile MB DellT Guest MB Jack GB Rebecca MB CP gt All CP Items gt User Accounts gt Configure advanced user profile properties Dell Jack CP gt All CP Items gt User Accounts gt Manage another account Jack JackAdmin Rebecca Guest Regedit gt ProfileList S- - - - C Users Rebecca - Jack - bak JackAdmin - Guest How on earth did this happen This was a single-user machine until I added some more users so I could have different configurations and until I tried to add WinXP Mode I couldn't get it and the associated VM to install work and so I then tried to uninstall them From then on I was playing with a Tarbaby I've used computers for years I'm now and can find my way around the registry but learn less and less about each succeeding version of Windows Machine details in my profile this forum Jack Handley

A:Corrupted names for accounts, users, folders, and user profiles

Can you post a screenshot of this?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/332026-corrupted-names-accounts-users-folders-user-profiles.html
Relevancy 92.45%

hi

can i detele the files inside c:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\

i tried _http://www.justanswer.com/computer/5dl5x-c-users-user-app-data-local-microsoft-windows-files-contains.html

but it doesn't clean them ,and ccleaner

and the windows clean tool doesn't empty this folder

thanks

A:can i delete the files inside c:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft?

No Don`t Do it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/295713-can-i-delete-files-inside-c-users-user-appdata-local-microsoft.html
Relevancy 92.45%

Hey guys This is my first time posting but it s a doozy I built a computer for the first time about a year ago and was able to get everything up and running just fine My main hard drive is an SSD and I used robocopy symlink to copy my users folder to Login find users folder Windows / Profile can't can't User Service a different drive with more space and to create a junction to it from the SSD This setup has been fantastic of the time - however - Shortly after getting everything working I ran into this problem while installing software and was able to fix it after a week long freak out and lots Windows can't find users folder / User Profile Service can't Login of obsessive research but it s happened again Windows can't find users folder / User Profile Service can't Login installing the same software and for the life of me I cannot remember or find any information that I used previously Problem I started to install all of my D software I am a D Designer and use Maya DS Max etc While installing VRay for Maya I start getting errors that windows can t connect to my Users folder I minimize my windows and nothing on my desktop will open Upon reboot I am informed that my User Profile Service won t let me login Troubleshooting so far I used safe mode to login and of course everything on my desktop was gone I used system recovery to the most recent date which allowed me to login however my desktop users folder is still missing I ran a registry fixer and found all kinds of errors quot fixed quot them then I couldn t login again Recovered again booted from my windows CD and attempted to move my actual Users folder robocopied one to quot Users quot as a backup Then I tried to re-create the initial process of robocopying creating a junction and when I logged in I was in the same boat Windows could not find it I ASSUME the problem is somehow a registry permissions mixup blocking windows from seeing the symlink and or actually changing it But beyond that and what I have already done I am at a loss Any help is GREATLY appreciated nbsp

A:Windows can't find users folder / User Profile Service can't Login

1. Welcome to Tech Support Guy

2. On reading your post - and I did so three times, the first thing that jumped out at me was
I ran a registry fixer and found all kinds of errors, "fixed" them, then I couldn't login again.Click to expand...

You can run most registry fixes on a computer with a clean install of windows and they will find errors.
The problem is 99.9% of the time, they are NOT errors, they are simply errors that the program considers exist.
It is accepted by many people that registry fixes should not be installed and again many of them will sooner or later cause more problems than EVER they solve.

I do appreciate that this is probably NOT what you wanted to read in response, but it would be remiss of me if I did not warn you of the situation.

3. NOW to the actual problem
As far as I know, there is no sure fire way of moving a user profile in its entirety to a different drive, than that which it was originally installed on.
YOU can of course establish a new account and move the personal data from the corrupted user account OR you can move simply the personal data to another location

HOWEVER please see below
FROM MICROSOFT

By changing the default location of the user profile directories or program data folders to a volume other than the System volume, you will not be able to service your Windows installation. Any updates, fixes, or service packs will fail to be applied to the installation. Microsoft does not recommend that you change the location of the user profile directories or program data folders.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722177(WS.10).aspx

4. NOW I am sorry but IMHO -there is even more bad news
I do not think you are going anywhere with this
OTHER than the slight possibility of logging in with the system account and putting all personal data back into a new users account on the system drive and if that does NOT work, I think you are looking at either
restoring from an image if you have one. that pre-dates the robocopy - symlink

OR if that was, as it appears at the time the computer was built, then you MAY be looking at starting again, as I think that so many aspects of the registry and the user profile will now be corrupted that anything short of a clean install will fail

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-cant-find-users-folder-user-profile-service-cant-login.1110907/
Relevancy 92.45%

I am experiencing a problem with Micrsoft Word and Googled a solution which is to change the location of the Temporary Internet Files folder however I can only get to a certain point Here are the instructions This problem occurs because the Temporary Internet Files location for Internet Explorer is set to be an unexpected location Specifically the Temporary Internet Files location for Internet Explorer is set to be a location in which the user does not have permissions to create new temporary files ResolutionTo resolve this problem change the Temporary Internet Files location for Intern To resolve this problem change the Temporary Internet Files location Solved: name>\AppData\Local\ to C:\Users\<user How find Microsoft\Windows for Internet Explorer To do this follow these steps On the Tools menu in Solved: How to find C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\ Microsoft\Windows Internet Explorer click Internet Options to display the Internet Options dialog box In the Internet Options dialog box click the General tab In the Browsing history section click Settings to open the Temporary Internet Files and History Settings dialog Solved: How to find C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\ Microsoft\Windows box In the Temporary Internet Files and History Settings dialog box click Move Folder to open the Browse for Folder dialog box In the Browse for Folder dialog box select the following location For Windows Vista for Windows and for Windows Server C Users lt user name gt AppData Local Microsoft Windows For Windows XP and for earlier versions of Windows C Documents and Settings lt user name gt Local Setting Note Whichever location you select a folder that is called Temporary Interenet Files is created And if it is necessary content is migrated to the new location Click OK to close the Browse for Folder dialog box Click OK to close the Temporary Internet Files and History Settings dialog box Click OK to close the Internet Options dialog box Restart the computer when you are prompted When I get to the Browse for Folder dialog box I cannot find the quot C Users lt user name gt ApplData Local Microsoft Windows quot file that is referenced in order to proceed Here is what I see Gateway C When I double click on that the following folders appear Perf Log Program Files Program Files X Users Windows When I click on quot Users quot then a folder with my name appears which would be quot user name quot When I click on my name then it shows Contacts Desktop My Documents Downloads Favorites etc so how do I get to C Users lt user name gt ApplData Local Microsoft Windows I have opened all of the folders such as program files Windows etc but cannot find a the files that I am instructed to scroll to Any help is much appreciated nbsp

A:Solved: How to find C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\ Microsoft\Windows

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-to-find-c-users-user-name-appdata-local-microsoft-windows.1012533/
Relevancy 92.45%

Hello,

I started my desktop computer and the desktop was blank. All my files from the desktop and from my user folder have been moved to C:\Users\DH (DH is the name of my account). All the settings in my account are deleted. For example I can't access to my Outlook and so on.

It seems that the computer somehow destroyed my account (account settings) and moved my data from user folders (Documents, Downloads etc.) to C:\Users\DH.

Is there any way how to get back to my normal account? Right now I am in my account, but the account just simply is not there.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/46607-my-account-settings-removed-my-data-user-folders-moved-toc-users.html
Relevancy 92.45%

Right for a start off I don t think I explained myself very well in the title - so I will have another go here I have a table of users that I have created imported from a spreadsheet to the tune of about users I have a list of calls from the IT Service Desk - however they have not linked the users active directory account into the call just the callers surname and forename s I want to link all the users calls to the possible users in the database in a accounts MSAccess2007 names users of their a user Linking table Solved: with in separate table The tables I have are laid out as follows Users Table Code UserID - Autonumber b PK b User Active Directory Name - text i Actually their email address i IT Calls Code Callid - number i Unique i b PK b FirstName - text Surname - text Call Solved: Linking a table of users names with their user accounts in MSAccess2007 Details - text Solved: Linking a table of users names with their user accounts in MSAccess2007 Linking Table Code UniqueID - Autonumber UserID - number b FK b Callid - number b FK b PossibleDuplicate - Yes No Basically I want to write some sort of script that will go through my IT Calls table and query the users at the moment I am doing it by hand using the query Code Like quot quot amp Enter Name amp quot quot And I am having to enter users names like this joe bloggs as some users Active Directory accounts have middle initials and some don t I want all the users that return more than one result to tick the Possible Duplicate box so I can go through and look at these manually later Does that make sense Any ideas on how I would go about writing a script for this Cheers guys Mike nbsp

A:Solved: Linking a table of users names with their user accounts in MSAccess2007

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-linking-a-table-of-users-names-with-their-user-accounts-in-msaccess2007.988994/
Relevancy 92.45%

So I recently made two users for my computer to keep my children from playing ALL of the time. During a playsession of minecraft their account was locked by timesettings. Very good so, BUT the program is still running in the locked user-account. (I can hear it..) Does anyone know how to shut it off?

Thanks in advance!

/Per

A:Multiple users, parental control, locked user running program

At school, when faced with a locked account,I unplug the desktop, or remove ac and dc power from the laptop, for about 30+ seconds. Any locked account has been "unlocked and closed" by the absence of ac or battery power.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/400840-multiple-users-parental-control-locked-user-running-program.html
Relevancy 90.3%

I'm running XP Pro with mulitiple users. I want to "turn off" Internet access for a single user while leaving free access to the other users.

I've tried a couple of NetNanny style programs, but I don't like the extra passwords that others have to use, and I don't like extra burden on system resources.

j.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/block-internet-for-single-user-on-multi-user-xp-pro.142159/
Relevancy 90.3%

I have to select a user upon startup of Windows instead of have just being prompted for a password as per usual of having one user. Same deal when locking. Any ideas?

A:Have to select user upon startup, and after locking. Single User

Hello KillerHonky, and welcome to Seven Forums.

If you have to select a user's icon at the log on screen, then what other user's icon is displayed to select from if you only have a single user account on the computer?

....or do you mean that you have to enter both the user name and password at log on instead of just the password?

You could use the tutorial below to set Windows 7 to automatically log on to a user account at startup.

Log On Automatically at Startup

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/194713-have-select-user-upon-startup-after-locking-single-user.html
Relevancy 88.58%

As of today in our domain environment consisting of Windows and Windows Enterprise machines we are experiencing the quot User Profile service failed the sign-in - User profile cannot be loaded quot error message whenever a user tries to login This only affects users new to the particular machine If they have signed on before and already have Default service 8 User Profile loaded. be Profile Profile sign-in Win Environment Domain in Corrupt The failed User 7 the User Win cannot and - a cached account the computer logs them in with no issue This is occurring on both Win and Win machines We are an academic institution so this is becoming a huge problem in our labs Students generally use different computers so this is popping up very frequently I have a solution for the issue It appears that on the non-working machines that the quot Default quot user profile is corrupt I have discovered that if I find a machine Win or Win doesn't matter that is allowing first time users to logon I can copy the quot Default quot user profile and replace the corrupt one I must first permanently delete the corrupt profile before copying over the new one Corrupt Default User Profile in Domain Environment - The User Profile service failed the sign-in User Profile cannot be loaded. Win 8 and Win 7 I am doing this over the network by navigating the C users folder Even this way is becoming cumbersome though as we have over computer in labs I have googled and googled and I keep seeing the same answers offering various solutions none which are any more practical than my method I cannot find information on a cause or a reason of why this would just crop up out of nowhere I suspect maybe a Windows update but I cannot verify that yet If anyone can offer any advice share a possible patch it would be much appreciated Thanks nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5a617fa3-ddbe-49a2-af23-e68fd6b015a3/corrupt-default-user-profile-in-domain-environment-the-user-profile-service-failed-the-signin?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 86%

I changed the values in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList in order to move the default user locations to my second partition. I then created a new user profile but when I try to login I get the message 'The User Profile Service failed the login'. When I set these values back to normal, new accounts work fine but I really want my user accounts on the second partition.
What can I do about this?

A:'User Profile Service failed' when changing default user location

I have done this on another computer with success - perhaps I am missing a step out?
The string values (apart from programdata) were changed to E:\..... instead of %systemdrive%\.....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profile-service-failed-when-changing-default-user-location.992872/
Relevancy 85.57%

Like the topic title says, recently been getting .exe files in my C:\Users\Public folders, they are named after other files in the folders. AVG keeps detecting them every 10-15 mins even after I select the option to remove all unhealed infections. The infection shows up as Trojan horse Dropper.small.PZB. How do I remove the source of this problem as I can only delete the .exe that keeps reappearing.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm running AVG Free and my OS is WIndows 7 64 bit.

A:C:\Users\Public Folders keeps getting .exe files

Hello and welcome,please do these scans and see how it is.Run RKill....Download and Run RKillPlease download RKill by Grinler from one of the 4 links below and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4

Before we begin, you should disable your anti-malware softwares you have installed so they do not interfere RKill running as some anti-malware softwares detect RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
Double-click on Rkill on your desktop to run it. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)
A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed.
If nothing happens or if the tool does not run, please let me know in your next replyDo not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again. Or if rebooting is required run it again.If you continue having problems running rkill.com, you can download iExplore.exe or eXplorer.exe, which are renamed copies of rkill.com, and try them instead.>>>>Please download TDSSKiller.zip and and extract it.Run TDSSKiller.exe. Click on Change Parameters Put a check in the box of Detect TDLFS file system Click Start scan.When it is finished the utility outputs a list of detected objects with description.
The utility automatically selects an action (Cure or Delete) for malicious objects.
The utility prompts the user to select an action to apply to suspicious objects (Skip, by default). Let the options as it is and click ContinueLet reboot if needed and tell me if the tool needed a reboot.Click on Report and post the contents of the text file that will open.

Note: By default, the utility outputs the log into system disk (it is usually the disk with installed operating system, C:\) root folder. The Log has a name like: TDSSKiller.Version_Date_Time_log.txt.>>>If you needed a reboot after the above,re run RKill and then.....Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware FreeDouble-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use SUPERAntiSpyware to scan and remove malware from your computer Guide.An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.If it will not start, go to Start > All Prgrams > SUPERAntiSpyware and click on Alternate Start.If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all other options as they are set):Close browsers before scanning.Scan for tracking cookies.Terminate memory threats before quarantining.Click the "Close" button to leave the Control Center screen.Back on the main screen, under "Select Scan Type" check the box for Complete Scan.If your computer is badly infected, be sure to check the box next to Enable Rescue Scan (Highly Infected Systems ONLY).Click the Scan your computer... button.After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK&quo... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/425499/cuserspublic-folders-keeps-getting-exe-files/
Relevancy 85.57%

I checked my network sharing center and network discovery, file sharing is on, and password protected sharing is off.

I checked the public folder, the icon has a lock sign on it, every time I try to change it from read only to write, it doesn't change but stays as read only

How do I change the permissions for my public folder with a lock on it?

A:Other users can't copy into public folder

The easiest way I know for this is to simply navigate to the public folder right click - properties - security
Then you'll have to give the guest or everyone group full permissions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/187395-other-users-cant-copy-into-public-folder.html
Relevancy 85.14%

A past virus must have caused this.The C:\Users folder is not visible in explorer for some reason.I can still visit the contents and the pc works fine,but this is not right.Also, there is a lock on my users/alexandros folder icon.Maybe it has something to do?

A:Users folder not visible in explorer,lock on admin's user folder icon?

Oh,note that i went in and tried to give "users" read and write rights of the users\alexandros folder to see if the lock goes away ,but i saw the processing was taking too much time and also some files had access denied so i quit.I hope i did not mess up

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/300824-users-folder-not-visible-explorer-lock-admins-user-folder-icon.html
Relevancy 85.14%

I own a system running windows enterprise and have an administrator account on it I would like user "home" to setup How for users/groups/permissions a folder to setup a quot standard user quot not admin account for a new user I plan to create a folder for the user inside How to setup users/groups/permissions for a user "home" folder of which the user will be allowed to create his own subfolders and files I plan to right click on that folder and quot send it to the desktop quot When the user double clicks that desktop icon he'll be running windows explorer and I don't want him to How to setup users/groups/permissions for a user "home" folder be able to see or do anything using windows explorer outside of his quot home quot folder other than creating or accessing items under it I plan to have that user's home folder be directly under the c drive Questions Is there a better place for it inside of quot my documents quot etc or is under the c drive as good a place as any for these purposes If I put the user's quot home quot folder under the c drive what should the permissions be for which users and which groups on the c drive toplevel itself and on the user's quot home quot folder so the user can do what he wants in or under his home folder can run a few applications located in quot Program Files quot such as Firefox one of the desktop icons I will be installing and in another folder under the c drive where I will place a few exe files he can also run but NOT be able to read write execute or in any way modify the contents of any other folders anywhere under the c drive According to Microsoft quot help quot quot standard users quot can't see files created by administrators But when I tried this with a quot test quot standard user account I created some files logged into my admin account then changed users to the standard user account and there I could not only see the files I had just created as admin but I could even delete them Is the Microsoft statement that standard users can't see admin files wrong or do you think somewhere I've improperly setup some permissions that are allowing this to happen Thanks very much for any help

A:How to setup users/groups/permissions for a user "home" folder

If you do not want a user to have access to certain folders, it is fairly simple to do. For instance, say you do not want a user to see other user's files. With your administrator account, do the following:

1. Click start menu
2. Click My Computer/Computer
3. Open C: (or whatever drive your users folder is in)
4. Open the Users folder
5. Right click your administrator user folder
6. Click Properties
7. Click the Security tab
8. Click Edit
9. (You don't want username John to open this folder ever) Click Add
10. Type in John (or the username you do not want to access the folder) and hit Enter
11. Under the Deny column, put a check in Full Control.
12. Click OK and apply to all folders (you may need to do this in safe mode to apply to every folder since some folders will be in use in normal mode).

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/204930-how-setup-users-groups-permissions-user-home-folder.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Ok - first off - please no spankings I stepped on my wilie and I know it And worse - I knew better This is about a fundamentally ok and up-to-date Windows Ultimate system with plenty of resources and no virus or malware problems Just a user prob I had and still do an GIG user profile like I said - no spankings I've been making attempts to quot fix quot this restore user (can do the file "deleted" How Users) find profile I in and resize to something reasonable for some time now Today I foolishly thought System Restore would cover me set a restore point and ran a script to 'clean up' the profile Well - it sure did - now every thing is quot new quot And of course the How do I restore "deleted" user profile (can find the file in Users) system restore fails with the dreaded x xx error code Have tried all the restore-fixes and nothing works Now I don't even have the old restore files I'd like to get back to the old humongous profile - and IT STILL IS How do I restore "deleted" user profile (can find the file in Users) THERE However it doesn't show up in quot Local Users and Groups quot One repair I tried which only sorta worked was to log in as an Admin and copy all the files in quot AVR quot the lost one to the new one quot AVR GBXBOX quot I took several hours to copy all the files over no spanking and when I restarted the quot AVR GFXBOX quot is still the current user but only behaves somewhat like the original But still isn't quite right Outlook thinks it hasn't run and I had email accounts I rather not have to rebuild And other similar probs So with all that sad whining - my big question is How can I make the old user profile titled quot AVR quot become an active and recognized profile Would this need to be some sort of registry edit It sets in a User directory but will not be listed an any system utility Once I get this repaired I'll do a proper backup and restore disk Macrium - but would sure like to get back to my old nasty bloated user profile And - after all that - the new user with a smallish profile really doesn't boot any faster Just hoping somebody may have been thru such a debacle and have found a way to re-activate that old user

A:How do I restore "deleted" user profile (can find the file in Users)

Can you go to Start / Control Panel / User Accounts / Manage another account ? (the 'old user' account?)

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/379258-how-do-i-restore-deleted-user-profile-can-find-file-users.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello I have a large home office data store synched between devices using Offline Files and standard Windows user account based sharing and UAC As a result Actual "%Sysroot%\Users": Account Name in User It Matters all user s personal data folders have a very specific naming system maintained for years The new sign-in using Microsoft account option which is very attractive for synchronizing less data intensive user data led me to try that but the resulting user account name was not customizable and was totally incompatible with User Account Actual Name in "%Sysroot%\Users": It Matters our network shares I did a full reset and changed to local accounts matching our existing directory structure But we have lost the ability to sync settings between the office machines as well as mobile devices User Account Actual Name in "%Sysroot%\Users": It Matters Is there a way to make this work gaining the advantages of both sign-ins I read the tutorial about changing from a local to Microsoft account sign-in route with hope that it might help Would changing to Microsoft account sign-in also change the naming of the established user profile personal folders which are the same as the legacy ones I am hoping since Windows will not allow me to rename these folders that they will also be unaffected by the change to a Microsoft account sign-in Please advise ASAP

A:User Account Actual Name in "%Sysroot%\Users": It Matters

When you set up a new user account as a Microsoft account, be it the initial user when installing / setting up Windows or later on in Settings, the naming of the user profile folders follows certain guidelines.

A typical email address / MS account consists of a first name, last name and domain ([email protected]). Of course many users don't use their real names but whatever names are used, the syntax is mostly the same (exception: first name or last name alone is also enough, the name part of an email address do not have to be both names separated by dot).

If the name is 5 characters or shorter long not counting the separating dot, the complete email name will be used as the user profile name. MS account [email protected] would get the user profile named as kfinnIf the name is over 5 characters long, an abbreviation of the email name will be used as the user profile name. MS account [email protected] would get the user profile named as karte (abbreviation will in most cases contain three first characters of the first name followed by two first characters of the last name)If the name in the email used has only one part, usually the first name, and this name is max 5 characters long, the name will be used for the user profile as is. MS account [email protected] would get the profile named as KariIf the name in the email used has only one part, usually the first name, and this name is over 5 characters long, the name of the user profile will be the first 5 characters of that name. MS account [email protected] would get the profile named as KariFThe user profile name in all above cases uses upper and lower case letters as they are used in the original MS account email address. If the MS account has been created using some uppercase letters as for instance [email protected], the user profile would be named as TenFo, but if that MS account email address would be created as tenforums.com, the user profile would be tenfoIn Windows networking an MS account user can sign in to any network resources with either his / her MS account credentials, or with his / her user profile credentials. Example: a Windows 10 user [email protected] with a user profile name karte as explained above can sign in to any network resource either with the MS account email, or with his user profile name ComputerName\karte, password in both cases being the same, the one of the user account (MS account password)
OK, that's the bit confusing part. The easy part is this: Always create your users as local accounts! Any new user, create it as a local account naming the user as you'd prefer. This will name the user profile and its folder exactly as you want to. Now simply switch this user to an MS account, the user profile and its name will remain the original ones, the name you gave to this user.

Example: Create a local user WhoIsTheDaddy and then switch this user to an MS account [email protected] For this user, the username of his MS account used to sign in to Windows would be [email protected] but his user profile name, name of his user folder would still be WhoIsTheDaddy.

Tutorial: Microsoft Account - Switch to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Kari

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/37840-user-account-actual-name-sysroot-users-matters.html
Relevancy 84.71%

This picture shows how my name has been changed in User Accounts and in regedit, as displayed by running winver, but yet all my files are still found at C:\Users\Owner.
When I go to C:\Users, the Owner folder is locked and cannot be renamed even though my account type is administrator, as seen here.
How do I really change the name from Owner to a name of my choosing?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changed-owner-name-in-regedit-user-accounts-but-files-are-still-at-c-users-owner.1064404/
Relevancy 84.71%

I clicked on the Hidden box of Properties for a couple of my folders.

I lost my limited user account folder in the Users folder. How do I get it back?

Thanks,
theAdmiral

A:I lost my limited user account folder icon in Users folder.

You mean you hide it? If that what happened, just change the folder view setting to show up the hidden folders.
Refer here:
Hidden Files and Folders - Show or Hide

If that isn't what happened, then elaborate the situation much more.
Take Care

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/195276-i-lost-my-limited-user-account-folder-icon-users-folder.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello Name It Actual User "%Sysroot%\Users": in Matters Account I have a large home office data store synched betweendevices using Offline Files and standard Windows user account based sharing andUAC As a result all user s personal data folders have a very specific namingsystem maintained for years The new sign-in using Microsoft account option which is very attractive for synchronizing less data intensive user data ledme to try that but the resulting user account name was not customizable andwas totally incompatible with our network shares I did a full reset andchanged to local accounts User Account Actual Name in "%Sysroot%\Users": It Matters matching our existing directory structure But wehave lost the ability to sync settings between the office machines as well as mobile devices I read the tutorial about changing from a local to Microsoftaccount sign-in route with hope that it might help Would changing to Microsoft account sign-in also change thenaming of the established user profile personal folders which are the same asthe legacy ones I am hoping since Windows will not allow me to rename these folders that they will also be unaffected by the change to a Microsoft account sign-in Please advise ASAP

A:User Account Actual Name in "%Sysroot%\Users": It Matters

Originally Posted by Kengrush

Would changing to Microsoft account sign-in also change thenaming of the established user profile personal folders, which are the same asthe legacy ones?

No. Changing from a local account to a Microsoft account will not change the \User\ folder for the user. When installing Windows 10, I always sign in with a local account first, "John". My user data folder gets named "John" and does not change when I switch the account to a Microsoft account.

You might also get away with changing the username to what you need if you run netplwiz. Click on the account under "users for this computer" to highlight a user, then click on properties:

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/37842-user-account-actual-name-sysroot-users-matters.html
Relevancy 84.71%

How do I get rid of Works cannot open ?C:/Users/Public/ Documents etc. The file may be in use by another application, the file format may not be supported by any of the installed converters , or the file may be corrupt.
Please

A:How do I get rid of Works cannot open “C:/Users/Public/ Docu

What's the name of the file you're trying to open; specifically, the file extension?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-get-rid-of-works-cannot-open-%E2%80%9Cc-users-public-docu.1162676/
Relevancy 84.71%

A quick background I installed my copy of Windows to a GB SSD and didn't have the space for my Users folder Before I discovered Hard Links I had find [SOLVED] folders 'C::\Users\Public' Can't gone into the registry to change the Users folder from C Users to D Users After I discovered Hard Links I attemted to change the registry entries [SOLVED] Can't find 'C::\Users\Public' folders back to what they were but I may [SOLVED] Can't find 'C::\Users\Public' folders have messed up I can't install some programs because they give me an error can't find the network path quot C Users Public Desktop quot See if I type quot C Users Public Desktop quot or quot C Users Public Public Desktop quot into Explorer I get directed to the public desktop But if I use quot PUBLIC Desktop quot I'm told that it can't find quot C Users Public Public Desktop quot similar to the error from the installers This rings true for all my public folders In my opinion I think that somewhere in my registry I accidentally messed up and pointed PUBLIC to quot C Users Public quot instead of quot C Users Public quot I don't know for sure I don't even know if there is a key that does this all I know is that I can't install a bunch of programs I want to and I'm getting a bit upset I tried searching the registry for quot C quot but got nothing What do

A:[SOLVED] Can't find 'C::\Users\Public' folders

Hi -

Let's see what the user shell folders say.

Download & save - http://www.sysnative.com/apps/jcgriff2/user_shell_folders.bat

RIGHT-click on the bat file, "Run as Administrator"

A Notepad will open in a few seconds. Copy/paste the entire contents into your next post.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-cant-find-c-users-public-folders-689658.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Is there a way to restrict users from connecting to wireless networks that do not require a password (Public).
I understand that you can set certain wireless profiles in Group Policy, but that requires us to know ALL of the networks that would be connected to in the future. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6bd0488a-72e3-4420-a728-8fb12076cf3a/how-to-restrict-users-from-connecting-to-public-networks?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 84.71%

Files within c users public folder have been reset to owner quot Administrators quot and all security is gone Inhereted security from c users public is still there on all files and folders What security is the default on a normal windows machine Please send me outpu of follwing commands dir q a c users public icacls c users public ------------------------------ sample output of my machine C Users Public gt dir q a c users public De volumenaam van a mess C:\users\public Made security of station C is System Het volumenummer is A Made a mess of C:\users\public security D - A Map van c users public - - lt DIR gt INGEBOUWD Administrator - - lt DIR gt INGEBOUWD Administrator - - lt DIR gt INGEBOUWD AdministratorCyberLink - - lt DIR gt INGEBOUWD AdministratorDesktop - - INGEBOUWD Administratordesktop ini - - lt DIR gt INGEBOUWD AdministratorDocuments - - LaptopRon Ron f - kopie txt - - INGEBOUWD Administratorf txt - - lt DIR gt INGEBOUWD AdministratorFavorites - - INGEBOUWD Administratorg txt - - lt DIR gt INGEBOUWD AdministratorLibraries - - lt DIR gt INGEBOUWD AdministratorMusic - - INGEBOUWD AdministratorNTUSER DAT - - INGEBOUWD AdministratorNTUSER DAT LOG - - INGEBOUWD AdministratorNTUSER DAT LOG - - INGEBOUWD AdministratorNTUSER DAT b ef -e br a- df-bd - ae d dde TM blf - - INGEBOUWD AdministratorNTUSER DAT b ef -e br a- df-bd - ae d dde TMContainer regtrans-ms - - INGEBOUWD AdministratorNTUSER DAT b ef -e br a- df-bd - ae d dde TMContainer regtrans-ms - - INGEBOUWD AdministratorNTUSER DAT bacdb c-e br - df-b - ae d dde TM blf - - INGEBOUWD AdministratorNTUSER DAT bacdb c-e br - df-b - ae d dde TMContainer regtrans-ms - - INGEBOUWD AdministratorNTUSER DAT bacdb c-e br - df-b - ae d dde TMContainer regtrans-ms - - INGEBOUWD AdministratorNTUSER DAT e da eb -d br eba- df- cb - ae d dde TM blf - - INGEBOUWD AdministratorNTUSER DAT e da eb -d br eba- df- cb - ae d dde TMContainer regtrans-ms - - INGEBOUWD AdministratorNTUSER DAT e da eb -d br eba- df- cb - ae d dde TMContainer regtrans-ms - - lt DIR gt INGEBOUWD AdministratorOEM - - lt DIR gt INGEBOUWD AdministratorPictures - - lt DIR gt INGEBOUWD AdministratorRecorded TV - - lt DIR gt INGEBOUWD AdministratorVideos ------------------------------ C Users Public gt icacls c users public c users public CyberLink INGEBOUWD Administrators I OI CI F MAKER EIGENAAR I OI CI IO F NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM I OI CI F NT AUTHORITY INTERACTIEF I OI CI M DC NT AUTHORITY SERVICE I OI CI M DC NT AUTHORITY BATCH I OI CI M DC c users public Desktop INGEBOUWD Administrators I OI CI F MAKER EIGENAAR I OI CI IO F NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM I OI CI F NT AUTHORITY INTERACTIEF I OI CI M DC NT AUTHORITY SERVICE I OI CI M DC NT AUTHORITY BATCH I OI CI M DC c users public desktop ini INGEBOUWD Administrators I F NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM I F NT AUTHORITY INTERACTIEF I M DC NT AUTHORITY SERVICE I M DC NT AUTHORITY BATCH I M DC

A:Made a mess of C:\users\public security

Mine hasnt been touched since install.....

C:\Users>dir /q /a c:\users\public
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is AC1D-F720

Directory of c:\users\public

07/14/2009 03:44 AM <DIR> BUILTIN\Administrators .
07/14/2009 03:44 AM <DIR> BUILTIN\Administrators ..
09/26/2011 09:48 PM <DIR> BUILTIN\Administrators Desktop
07/14/2009 12:54 AM 174 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM desktop.ini
06/18/2011 11:06 PM <DIR> BUILTIN\Administrators Documents
07/14/2009 12:54 AM <DIR> BUILTIN\Administrators Downloads
07/13/2009 10:34 PM <DIR> BUILTIN\Administrators Favorites
03/05/2010 09:16 PM <DIR> BUILTIN\Administrators Libraries
07/14/2009 12:54 AM <DIR> BUILTIN\Administrators Music
05/22/2011 12:22 PM <DIR> BUILTIN\Administrators Pictures
03/06/2010 05:55 PM <DIR> BUILTIN\Administrators Recorded TV
09/07/2010 03:59 PM <DIR> BUILTIN\Administrators Videos
1 File(s) 174 bytes
11 Dir(s) 37,845,639,168 bytes free
C:\Users>icacls c:\users\public\*.*
c:\users\public\Desktop BUILTIN\AdministratorsOI)(CI)(F)
NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVEOI)(CI)(RX)
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMOI)(CI)(F)
Ript-2010\SlurpOI)(CI)(IO)(DE,DC)

c:\users\public\desktop.ini BUILTIN\AdministratorsI)(F)
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMI)(F)
NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVEI)(M,DC)
NT AUTHORITY\SERVICEI)(M,DC)
NT AUTHORITY\BATCHI)(M,DC)
EveryoneI)(F)

c:\users\public\Documents BUILTIN\AdministratorsI)(OI)(CI)(F)
CREATOR OWNERI)(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMI)(OI)(CI)(F)
NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVEI)(OI)(CI)(M,DC)
NT AUTHORITY\SERVICEI)(OI)(CI)(M,DC)
NT AUTHORITY\BATCHI)(OI)(CI)(M,DC)
EveryoneI)(OI)(CI)(F)

c:\users\public\Downloads BUILTIN\AdministratorsI)(OI)(CI)(F)
EveryoneI)(OI)(CI)(F)

c:\users\public\Favorites BUILTIN\AdministratorsI)(OI)(CI)(F)
EveryoneI)(OI)(CI)(F)

c:\users\public\Libraries NT SERVICE\WMPNetworkSvcR)
NT SERVICE\WMPNetworkSvcOI)(CI)(IO)(GR)
BUILTIN\AdministratorsI)(OI)(CI)(F)
EveryoneI)(OI)(CI)(F)

c:\users\public\Music NT SERVICE\WMPNetworkSvcR,WD)
NT SERVICE\WMPNetworkSvcOI)(CI)(IO)(GR,WD)
BUILTIN\AdministratorsI)(OI)(CI)(F)
... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/189069-made-mess-c-users-public-security.html
Relevancy 84.71%

I have an interesting situation where when I load files from my sign on to the public pictures folder my wife can't always view them from her's. We are both admin and I am forced to right click and do the advanced settings routine to each file and add her to it with full control. As I'm sure you can see this is very annoying.

Thanks for any help in this matter

A:making the public folder accessible to all users

Are you sharing across a network or is it to share the public folder locally?

By default the public folder should be accessible to everyone with full permissions - C:\Users\Public

Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups

Josh

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/294701-making-public-folder-accessible-all-users.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I have four computers running Windows 8.1

On three the User Accounts dialog box has the phrase, "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."
I have deselected that box and entered the passwords and now I log in automatically.

But on one computer in the User Accounts dialog box there is no phrase, "Users must enter..." and there is not box to deselect.
What to do?

thanks

John

A:"Users must enter a user name and password..."

Hello John, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Is that PC a member of a domain by chance?

If so, then the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." box will not be available.

Log On User Account Automatically at Windows 8 Startup

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/35054-users-must-enter-user-name-password.html
Relevancy 83.85%

HELP!!!

I turned my computer on after work and found that it seemed like everything had been deleted, as in I had no installed programmes anymore and my documents, pictures and videos libraries were empty. Also that I had no record of my email anymore.. So I had a look and found this new user folder (Dan.Dan-PC) which was created in my users folder.

My old user (Dan) is still there which has all my old information and library structure there but it is not being showed anymore. It is some virus which is loading these new libraries on startup!! Please help me!!!

I did a scan with AVG and got this:

A:Virus making new user folder in users folder!?

You might try the procedure's listed in the guide. This system seems to be pretty far gone. Interesting virus, a swing and a miss for AVG.
How to easily clean an infected computer (Malware Removal Guide)

Having an extra drive with a recent system image + system restore procedure using DVD is the best method for fixing these problems.

Of course these days you need to keep that extra drive unplugged if you really want to keep it safe.

You might want to try the security section of the forum for more help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/330730-virus-making-new-user-folder-users-folder.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I recently deleted my public folder on accident, I have tried restoring it, recovery, creating a new User account, some fixes I found online that mess with the registry, and sfc scan, nothing has helped. I am unable to install some applications like Skype,when I try it tells me it cant access %PUBLIC%\Desktop. I cant edit most files, and whenever I create a new folder and name it i get a message that says Could not find this item, if I hit try again it works. Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this?

Your help is greatly appreciated

A:Help!! Accidently deleted C:\Users\public Major Problems ensued

closing duplicate, please respond at http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1017359-could-not-access-network-location.html .

thanks,

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-accidently-deleted-c-users-public-major-problems-ensued.1017525/
Relevancy 82.13%

I wat to know how to change user name at "C:\Users".

I've changed user name at control panel following this guide:

User Account Name - Change in Windows 8[1]=User%20Accounts
But the name at "C:\Users" - which is showing Korean - was not changed.

A:change user name at "C:\Users"

Hello windstory,

Changing the user account's name will not change the name of it's "C:\Users\(user-name)" profile folder.

The best way to change the user profile folder's name is to create a new local user account with the name you want instead, delete the old account, and (if wanted) switch the new local account to a Microsoft account.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/44406-change-user-name-c-users.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Is show process for all users turned off by default with default UAC enabled?
You have to click a show all process for all users button on the bottom of task manager by default? Is this normal?

A:Is show process for all users turned off by default with default UAC e

Yes, it's normal. Use this if you don't want to do that.

Task Manager - Create Elevated Shortcut

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/130470-show-process-all-users-turned-off-default-default-uac-e.html
Relevancy 81.7%

I use Outlook 2003 at home, so I am not on an exchange server. Is it possible for two different profiles to share the same default calendar?

I've figured out how to set up a new .pst to contain a shared calendar. However, we both sync Outlook with our palm devices, which syncs with each profile's default calendar. I'd like to set it up so that regardless of which profile is active, the same calendar is used.

Thank you.

A:Outlook 2003 Single Calendar for Multi-users

Not that I know of but you can try this trick.

Profile 1 - Original.pst(default) - Your.pst(secondary)
Profile 2 - Original.pst(default) - Their.pst(secondary)

Then you can set rules in both of your profiles to move your emails out of the Original.pst to your individual pst folders.

While that works to synchornize your calendar stuff then you break the email syncing portion.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2003-single-calendar-for-multi-users.364566/
Relevancy 80.84%

I have one user who cannot print to one printer. I logged in as local admin, added the printer and it still would not work. I deleted all the printers and readded them. I stopped and restarted the print spooler and made sure all of the other users could print fine. I still cannot print. The print job just hangs in the que and once in a while I will get an error. Can anybody help?

Thanks.

A:Cannot Print/ Single User, Single Printer

Is it a network printer or a local printer?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-print-single-user-single-printer-298214.html
Relevancy 80.84%

Hello.

When I sync onedrive, it creates all of the directories of My Documents in the root of it. I share onedrive with my daughter and would like to clean up the root. is is possible to have the PC may a My Docs type dir and then populate it with all of the dirs and files from my computer? that way there would only be on top level dir and it would be easier to navigate.

I was trying to use SyncDrive but i want seemless file use with office apps.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/69888-sharing-single-onedrive-account-two-users-keep-data-separate.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I deleted my NT eser data file and it logged me in to a temporary account. I have since recovered my files and created another user account that is not a temporary account.The problem is that the other account is still there and in the task manager when I am signed in under me only shows the other account running? How do I delete the test account without loosing my file again? Here are some screen shots showing the two accounts.

A:Merging user accounts

Well, the use of temporary profiles indicates a damaged profile.

If you created another profile/user account...then you need to transfer all settings, etc. from the old to the new...then delete the old user account.

Merging is not possible...replacement is possible.

Fix a corrupted user profile, Win 7 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/508296/merging-user-accounts/
Relevancy 79.12%

I originally copied my Favorites folder over to the 'All Users' Documents and Settings folder, but it doesn't stay updated.

Is there a way to keep both lists in synch so that when I update a Favorite it will also update the 'All Users' listing?

A:'User' Favorites vs. 'All Users' Favorites ??

Im not sure if you can do this. We'll have to see if anyone else knows.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-favorites-vs-all-users-favorites.204212/
Relevancy 79.12%

Hey Guys,

If you are using Kaspersky on Windows XP, and your Blue Shift is not working, I may have a solution for you. If you go into Kapersky, go to My Security Zone and then application activity. Go to Category and then click all. Scroll down until you find everything to do with Blue Shift ( Half Life Launcher, installation etc). Right click on each of these and change the status to Trusted. The game should work now. I hope this helps I've had the problem for a while and it was driving me nuts. I'd also like to thank the user "fragger" for giving me the idea to look at Kaspersky. If your reading this, hope it helps you out buddy.

A:Half Life Blue Shift Problem for XP Users: Solution for Kaspersky users

I'd also like to add the game only works when I have Safari open. Absolutely no idea why, but this seems to be a requirement.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/half-life-blue-shift-problem-for-xp-users-solution-for-kaspersky-users.965256/
Relevancy 79.12%

User 1 logs in and works does whatever... Doesn't log out but screensaver goes back to user screen. 

User 2 logs in (switching users - not logging out user 1) and gets to work. 

Sometime later (ie. not right away) and not at a prescribed time, the network stops working.  

I try to disable / enable the network adapter and the machine freezes.   Reboot fixes problem.

If user 1 or user 2 is the only one logged in then never a problem.

Anyone heard of this? 
Thanks for any help!

A:Multiple Windows 7 Users-Switch between Users-network stops working

When switching users, it's always a good idea to have User 1 close out any applications and documents they have open and then log out before User 2 logs in. It sounds like you have fast user switching enabled, but I'm not aware of that causing any network issues -- unless User 1 was doing something that required a network connect.

Check the Event Viewer for error logs from the time it froze when you tried to disable and enable the network adapter. Post the event ID and description here if you need help diagnosing the issue from the log files. Perhaps another fix is to disable fast user switching, so that users are always forced to log out before someone else can log in.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/557364/multiple-windows-7-users-switch-between-users-network-stops-working/
Relevancy 79.12%

Can anyone help me regain Security Permissions to C:\Users\All Users\Application Data Folder which I lost while looking at the access rights. I mistakenly closed the box while playing with the access rights and lost any access to the file.
I pulled the access rights to the file using icacls they are below.

application data
D:PAI(D;OICI;FA;;;WD)(A;;0x1200a9;;;WD)(A;OICI;FA;;;SY)(A;OICI;FA;;;BA)S:AI

I am thinking I can change the information in the file and restore it. Not sure exactly what to change?

I was also thinking I could pull the info from another computer running with the same operating system and reapply them to this file? Would this work?

I looked at Previous Versions of the upper level folder. Can I restore a previous version of this whole folder? Will it restore the Application Data folder with the prior permissions?

A:Lost Access Permissions to C:\Users\All Users\Application Data Folder

Are you asking about the Application Data or Appdata folder?

If Application Data, this is not a real folder but a junction used to allow interface with legacy programs. No access is necessary since it is pointing to the Appdata folder.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/361079-lost-access-permissions-c-users-all-users-application-data-folder.html