Windows Support Forum

Upgrading BIOS quick question

Q: Upgrading BIOS quick question

Hi all,

I have an old HP G6000 laptop that I have wiped, put XP on and replaced the faulty Wifi card inside it.

The laptop is not detecting the card, not even as an unknown device in device manager and I was wondering if updating the BIOS would help?

The problem is, the HP site only lists BIS upgrades for Vista and I was wondering if I could upgrade the BIOS using the Vista upgrade or do I need to use an XP one?

Thanks,
StubbyHS

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Upgrading BIOS quick question

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Upgrading BIOS quick question

I'd check the BIOS to see if something didn't reset or become disabled, first off.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/211184-upgrading-bios-quick-question.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I am upgrading my RAM. My PC uses DDR SDRAM PC3200. It has 4 slots. Currently 2 slots are taken up by 2x 512. The system said it can have a maximum of 4gbs. I want to upgrade to 3gbs. So to do that I will have to get 2x 1gbs sticks. Correct? If I get a 1gb stick it would only take up one bank right?
I am thinking about purchasing this RAM. Lemme know what you think.
http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4742529?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

How about this one?
http://shop3.outpost.com/product/3954458?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Thanks

Relevancy 70.52%

I currently have a computer with 2 x 512 sticks of PC5400 675mHz DDR2 RAM, dual channeled. I was wondering, if I were to put two more sticks of RAM in the computer on the other channel, would they have to be the same speed as the first one or can they be different? I know that when you dual channel the two sticks you put in have to be the same speed, but what about the other channel? This might be a noobish question, but up till now I've never really thought about it.

A:Quick question about upgrading RAM

My understanding is, as the word implies "Dual"
Therefore if you put two more sticks in you dont get "double dual" just the grand total of ram. Not 100% sure though

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/quick-question-about-upgrading-ram.541821/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hey guys. I have an HP Pavillion a1310n pc. I would like to buy another gb of ram. I have 2 slots left for ram so I would like to get 1 stick of 1gb now and another some other time. My question is would this ram work with my pc? I checked that it was pc3200 and all that. But let me remind you guys, I am new at these pc details and I want to know if there is anything that I am missing in this ram?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820134040

This is the ram I would like to get. Please respond with your opinions and advice. Thanks

Relevancy 69.66%

I have some cash I ve been saving up and would really like to upgrade Hardware on Question Quick Upgrading either my graphics card or my processor although I m pretty sure I want to upgrade the graphics card Quick Question on Upgrading Hardware first unles persuaded otherwise The reason I want to upgrade is I can play high-end games smoothly but not on extreme graphic settings Dragon Age Call of Duty Fallout Quick Question on Upgrading Hardware New Vegas etc I saw a pretty good deal on NewEgg for a Radeon HD gig will my power supply take it will my motherboard take it should I focus on a new processor first are my sights set too low should I spend on a bigger card willing to pay Below are my specs Any help would be great OS Win Home bit Graphics Radeon HD gig PCI E x Processor Phenom II X - C GHz MHz HT AM MB L MB shared L cache W Ram gig Mother Board Pegatron M N -LA HP Violet power supply W nbsp

A:Quick Question on Upgrading Hardware

No, you will need a better pw supply; something like a corsair 600~650W. Next issue is cooling. Big box system like hp, dell, whatever are not really upgradeable in any real sense. You can install a larger hd or more ram however when you want to install a high end video card or faster cpu, you run into multiple problems. Your case is designed to cool a given amount of TDP. When you exceed that by installing a high end video card or faster cpu, you have problems.

In short, it is up to you if you want to spend the money however if it were me, I would just build a system that can do what I want it to do.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/quick-question-on-upgrading-hardware.959491/
Relevancy 69.23%

I currently have a Compaq laptop that came with Windows Vista home premium I have upgrading quick windows 7/licence to question about a small quick question about upgrading to windows 7/licence problem as it never came with recovery disks so I made some and lost them I am planning on upgrading to Windows Home premium buy purchasing an upgrade licence online I have a couple of questions if I chose the upgrade option during installation would ALL my setting and files remain the same and unchanged The reason I m asking is because the few times I ve reformatted I ve just used the recovery tool that came with the computer that I made the recovery disks from Since I ve lost the disk I just clicked onthe recovery option and followed instructions to recover it to factory state If I were to purchase Windows and use the upgrade option and I wanted to go back to the compaq factory setting back to Windows Vista home is there anyway to do it as I lost the recovery disks Would the recovery options still be there since I used the upgrade option during Windows upgrade Also last question I ve never downloaded operatings systems online so when I go to purchase windows download from microsoft is it possible to make a disk out of it incase I need to reformat at a later date nbsp

Relevancy 69.23%

hello, i have an OEM cd of vista home basic 32 bit for my laptop, my brother has just got retail vista home premium 64bit disc, can i use my 32b home basic key to install home basic 64bit from my brothers 64bit home premium disc. if i can will it still be able to be activated and will it still be classed at genuine by microshaft?

A:quick question bout upgrading to 64 bit from 32bit

You should be good. But I'm not 100% sure. The thing is, when you boot up into the Vista installation, it will ask you for the key. If it says the key is wrong, then you know it didn't work without making any changes. It asks you for the key before installing, unlike Xp

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/quick-question-bout-upgrading-to-64-bit-from-32bit-259852.html
Relevancy 68.37%

So, I bought this laptop with Vista Home Premium on it a couple years ago I think, it was a graduation gift so idk), but it only had 1gb of RAM, why they did that is beyond me, anyways, I found the type of RAM I need to buy, but my question is would it even support 2 sticks of 2gb RAM or no? I can't find anything on the model of the laptop so I'm not sure.

It's an HP dv6000 series laptop, 2 memory slots with 512mb each slot. I'm thinking of getting 2 2gb sticks for it and using Vista Ultimate x64. Will that work or is over 2gb of memory unsupported for my laptop?

A:Upgrading RAM in laptop, quick question about the RAM size/total, etc...

Max support = 2GB

HP Pavilion dv6000 (Core 2 Duo) Specs, Laptop Reviews on CNET.co.uk

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/214478-upgrading-ram-laptop-quick-question-about-ram-size-total-etc.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Okay I have read enough of the TCB432L.BIN A quick BIOS about question posts here to find that most folks despise emachines I thought I would actually get more access to the deep settings in BIOS but I was wrong I am also not real well off with the A quick question about TCB432L.BIN BIOS green and I am trying to get one to run for my son to play decent games on maybe me too Anyway doesn t have to be real powerful just decent From everything I have read on the net and in these particular forums a copy of the TCB L BIN BIOS upgrade would go a long way in helping I have a T Is there anyway to get a copy of this file or am I doing something wrong even by asking for it Well anyway thanks to the folks I have spoken with so far and I ll be back with my next issue Anything you can do to help find the mentioned BIOS is greatly appreciated nbsp

A:A quick question about TCB432L.BIN BIOS

This is old, but I still wanted to revive it:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-quick-question-about-tcb432l-bin-bios.86993/
Relevancy 66.22%

OK Im upgrading my BIOS on my M ALU mobo Or rather I would like to This is how I am doing it A gt animf m a rom Animf is the flash and m a rom is the BIOS update Before I flash this I encountered an error Error - The BIOS tag is incorrect What does that mean Is that just telling me the new BIOS doesnt have Quick question Flash BIOS the same name as the old or what Here is what my screen looks like A gt animf m a rom Chipset type - SiS SiS SB Flash Part - EON F T NT V gt Old BIOS - Release gt New BIOS - Release gt Quick BIOS Flash question Old BIOS Tag is lt A gt -- New BIOS Tag is lt M A gt gt Error - The BIOS tag is incorect gt Press Enter key to continue or Esc key to abort Obviously I am holding at that screen because I dont wanna flash and screw the works completely Please let me know what to do from here nbsp

Relevancy 63.64%

I have a T500 (2081CTO) running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and am preparing to upgrade to W10. The Lenovo Windows 10 docs I've read say to upgrade to the most recent BIOS before upgrading. My current BIOS is version 3.22 (6FET92WW) dated 2011. Despite Lenovo System Update v5.07.0029 NOT displaying any BIOS updates, when I happened to check Lenovo's site for drivers & software I see that Version 3.23 (BIOS ID: 6FET93WW) update is available. It is not described as "Important" and only offers "Added support for the function to disable & unconfigure AMT via WMI". I'm not sure if SU is failing to offer the update, or if has good reason not to offer it. I've also read that some people have had issues with v3.23 and needed to revert to the previous 3.22 version. Is the newer version "really" required to perform the W10 upgrade? Frank

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Question-about-upgrading-T500-BIOS-in-preparation-for-W10/td-p/3348297
Relevancy 62.78%

CHANGES SINCE POST Answered own question Went to change setting in BIOS setting was already at max at However I noticed that the setting for onboard or PCI was set to PCI CHANGED it to onboard That s what Real quick video/card/bios/settings Solved: basic question I have Ramped all of the settings back up still does it Just not as often System was fine then Went from XP to then back to XP Good install but monitor would flicker Green on checked cables etc Conclusion quot Driver Problem quot Set SOME display property s low reinstalled drivers same problem Set quot Video Acceleration quot to almost none and checked quot Enable Write Combining quot Reduced resolution to X Solved: Real quick basic video/card/bios/settings question reduced from bit to bit DPI is Htz High Color Flickering of monitor has pretty much quit Only very occasionally as I write this Here s the rest of the info I think is needed Followed by the rest of my question HP x Intel x Ghz Mb quot Physical Memory quot Windows XP SP DirectX Video Driver Intel G GL GE PE GV Graphics Controller Version Memory Size Mg Internal Ok as I was restarting one of the times I went into the BIOS to see what I could see The one thing that caught my eye was a video setting that allowed for me to increase or decrease Megabytes It s currently at Does the quot quot MGb quot Memory Size quot above mean I can set this up to What is this for I thought it was so you could use more RAM if you were to upgrade your video card Could someone please just give me a crash course in graphics cards and their settings Thank you Sincerely policetac nbsp

Relevancy 54.18%

I just got a new Laptop, so I went to check to see if I got everything I ordered. I went into system information and after Processor it
says I have a x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 Genuinintel 798mhz. Thats not what I ordered. But when I go into system properties it says I have a Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.73GHz, which is what I ordered. So which processor do I have.

An explination would be very helpfull Thanks in advance.

A:[resolved] Quick question hopefully quick answer

I am 99% sure you got what you ordered. Go to start, run, and type in 'dxdiag'. It should say on the first page for sure what you have.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/resolved-quick-question-hopefully-quick-answer-62783.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I have a Dell Latitude D630. It has an admin password for the bios. Nothing is locked except for the settings. I can't change any of the settings in the bios. It lets me boot to windows just fine though. My question is, since I don't know that admin password for the bios, if I upgrade the bios firmware, will the admin password be deleted? Since I'm flashing the bios, I would think that all the settings will be lost. Is that the case?

A:Will upgrading the bios firmware on a Latitude D630 delete the bios admin password?

What?

Didn't you reply here, and say it worked (after the unusual 9th try ) http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic109612-109.html#post747024

Awfully strange!

A bios update can't remove passwords. As You Must Know

Oh and thanks for the extended long Title. I'm thinking this Topic of yours would be best removed? What do you think?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-upgrading-the-bios-firmware-on-a-latitude-d630-delete-the-bios-admin-password.138281/
Relevancy 52.89%

My girlfriend said she wants to help me buy Vista for my birthday what a sweetheart and she is taking me shopping tomorrow This Some Upgrading Quick Need Before Help is good timing because I was just about to reformat xp because of some issues I ve been having with internet connections and such Need Some Quick Help Before Upgrading I have downloaded and ran the Vista Upgrade Advisor and it said the only issue is with my Realtek AC Audio driver I lost my Nvidia driver some time ago and had to rollback to this one In the advisor it says quot You can upgrade from your current version of Windows and keep your files settings and programs quot But does this mean I will be dragging along all my issues too Or is it like reformatting only you keep all the stuff you have installed Because I really don t want to lose any of my game data and such My music and photos should be alright because they re on another hardrive So in a nutshell my computer s running kinda poopy so if I install Vista basic will it clean it all up and still save all my programs and stuff Thanks Edit Ah shoot I see that basic doesn t come with the Windows Aero Movie Maker and DVD burning software these are things I would really like So I may spring for Home Premium Another Edit I read that Vista gets all the driver updates from Microsoft via an internet connection but I have dial up Is this a problem Can I update all the drivers after the installation is complete nbsp

Relevancy 52.03%

Hi,

I bought Windows 7 having come from Vista. However, there is a BIOS update for my system. The new BIOS update states: The BIOS updates the fan control algorithm of the system, and turns the fan on at low volume while your notebook PC is operational. If you are currently experiencing any symptoms on your notebook PC, please contact HP for support. It is located here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...340180&lang=en

I'd love to flash it but not sure if it will ruin my computer as it's more than likely not designed for flash when Windows 7 is on it or do you's know any better?

I also have 2 blue vertical lines going do the right hand side of the screen. I've seen loads of problems but no solutions. Has any fixed this HP problem?

Cheers folks!

A:Upgrading BIOS after Upgrading from Vista to 7

The BIOS is the stuff that happens BEFORE Windows starts to load.
Do you have issues with overheating or with the fan? If so, the BIOS update is for you.
Also, BIOS flashes are dangerous - and you can turn your computer into a paperweight by doing it incorrectly. In short, if it ain't broke - don't fix it!

The type of lines that you describe on your screen are usually caused by hardware issues. Send it in for repair if the system is under warranty. If not, then get an estimate from a local computer store - it may be cheaper to live with it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/upgrading-bios-after-upgrading-from-vista-to-7-a-451070.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Ok well i have a laptop with windows vista 32bit on it and i would like to upgrade the RAM to 4gb ( the mobo can handle it) and i would like to upgrade to 7, but im not sure if i would need x86 or x64 can someone shed some light on this

ty

A:Thinking of upgrading quick quesiton about x86 and x64

Difference between 64bit and 32bit

Just also keep in mind that not all 32bit apps play nice on 64bit OS.
It's not usually a big problem,, but it does happen, and should be a slight concern.

However,, 32bit OS's are (hopefully) on their way out and 64bit will rule for a while.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/59321-thinking-upgrading-quick-quesiton-about-x86-x64.html
Relevancy 51.17%

ADM QUICK STREAM ERROR after upgrading to Window 10 Message reads "The license information to use this software is not found" How can I fix this? Fingerprint scan does not work, again after upgrading to Window 10.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/ADM-QUICK-STREAM-ERROR-after-upgrading-to-Window-10/td-p/5615234
Relevancy 51.17%

ADM QUICK STREAM ERROR after upgrading to Window 10 Message reads "The license information to use this software is not found" How can I fix this? Fingerprint scan does not work, again after upgrading to Window 10.

A:ADM QUICK STREAM ERROR after upgrading to Window 10

Hi @McHarg , Welcome to the HP Forum! It is a terrific place to find answers and tips! For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.  I understand that after upgrading to Windows 10, you receive the message "ADM QUICK STREAM ERROR The license information to use this software is not found" To assist you I will need to know what your exact model of HP notebook is.HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?.  Did you upgrade from a previous version of Windows and if so what was it or did you do a clean install?  Have you run the Windows troubleshooter?  Have you done all your Windows updates?  Have you run the  HP Support Assistant ? Hope to hear back from you soon. Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the ?Thumbs Up? below is a great way to say thanks!   

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/ADM-QUICK-STREAM-ERROR-after-upgrading-to-Window-10/td-p/5615234
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi folks,

I've a Dell 4550 I've decided to upgrade where possible instead of replace. (thrifty me )

One of the upgrades will be memory and I was wondering if it's OK to use two different brands?
I currently have have one module of 512mb by Crucial. Would it cause any problems what-so-ever to add another 512 stick by, say, Corsair? Corsair seems to be a good product, and is cheaper than Crucial, at the moment.

Suggestions, advice?

A:Solved: Upgrading computer, quick RAM query...

Yup, it should work no problem. Very few people manage to get the same brand and model of memory when they upgrade.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-upgrading-computer-quick-ram-query.447398/
Relevancy 50.74%

My problem started after I upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 Pro to the free release of Windows 10 Pro.Since the upgrade completed, every time I start the laptop I am shown the following warning:>>>>>> AMD Quick Stream ErrorThe license information to use this software is not found <<<<<<<<<Apart from that, all seems working right. After starting Windows 10, I remove the pop up warning and go through my session without experiencing any inconvenience.Yet, willing to do away with that warning, I download from the AMD site the latest graphics package for Windows 10, and installed it in the machine. That was to no avail, the warning keeps showing up. My machine is:Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E335Processor: AMD E2-2000 APU with Radeon(trademark) HD Operating system: Windows 10 64-bitGraphics hardware: AMD Radeon HD7340 GraphicsAny cue? Thank you for any suggestion you may have.

A:AMD Quick Stream errors after upgrading Lenovo laptop to W10

To solve this issue, you can do the following:1. Click the following link to go to the official website for AMD Quick Stream. Download the latest release by clicking ?Download AMD Quick Stream Technology?.http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...2. Launch the downloaded installer and follow the program to finish the installation. This should automatically uninstall the old version and install the new one. A reboot may be necessary when this is done.After these steps you should have the latest AMD Quick Stream up running. And the error can be fixed.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/amd-quick-stream-errors-after-upgrading-lenovo-laptop-to-w10/69.html
Relevancy 49.02%
A:why does acer quick access not work anymore after upgrading to windows 10 anniversary update

Hi First time hearing about this problem. A quick search turned up this link. Might give it a look and report back if it works, so others will benefit from this issue!
Welcome to the forum! Quick Access in Windows 10 is not working

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/442085-why-does-acer-quick-access-not-work-anymore-after-upgrading-windows-10-anniversary-update.html
Relevancy 48.16%

ok. i have win7 ultimate 64bit RC.

now if i buy win7 ultimate 64bit will i have to format my drive in the process? or would i be able to keep everything i have installed?

thanks people.

A:Quick Quick Question :D

I had RC Ultimate RC 32 bit installed .... I did a clean install using the RTM (DVD).
I backed up a lot of my files and folders to a CD, so I wouldn't have to spend too much time downloading them again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/37008-quick-quick-question-d.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hey all.

I have a HP Envy Sleekbook 6-1111nr. It came stock with Windows 8.

The HDD was irreparably damaged, and I never had a chance to make a recovery USB (No one's fault but my own.)

HP says that I'd need to order a recover USB for them, and wait until it ships. I'm in the Military, and live in Okinawa. Shipping to APO, AP addresses takes around 2+ weeks on average.

I'm aware that the bios has the Windows 8 product key essentially hardcoded into it. Is there a workaround to getting my system up and running again without having to wait for USB recovery media in the mail?

A:HDD Dmg. No Backup, Bios 8 key. Quick way to re-install?

Welcome to EightForums.

If you have a Genuine Microsoft Windows 8 x64 DVD, you can do a clean with the DVD.
As the installer will find embedded key in the BIOS.

How to install Windows 64 bit on a uEFI/BIOS firmware:
UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 8 with

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/25403-hdd-dmg-no-backup-bios-8-key-quick-way-re-install.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I m attempting to upgrade my BIOS The motherboard is an ABIT-VL The OS is Windows Professional I know I need to do the following Upgrading BIOS - boot up with a boot disk from a floppy - after a clean boot into DOS execute the BIOS upgrade executable program on another floppy disk we ll call it BIOS upgrade floppy - execute the flash BIOS executable file also contained on the BIOS upgrade floppy - shut down the computer - remove floppy disk - clear CMOS data There is a CMOS jumper near the battery Change the jumper position from default - to - for one minute to discharge the CMOS data then put it back to default - - turn on computer hit quot delete quot to enter BIOS set-up page to do correct settings DONE Now my problem is this I am unable Upgrading BIOS to put together a boot disk on that computer windows pro How do I make a boot disk I even tried using a boot disk I made from my other computer windows But when I attempted to use it Upgrading BIOS in the computer in question the computer wouldn t recognize any files on that floppy disk Am I missing something here Thank you for any help you can offer nbsp

Relevancy 46.87%

I need help with my bios. I have them on a floppy disk and everytime I restart my computer it will state that there is a error or disk is empty. For somereason it will not autorun the upgrade. Can some suggest any thing else I should try?

Thanks
Sharktress

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-with-upgrading-bios-288971.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi guys, I need to update my "IBM bios ver PIKT 37.0"
please tell me the procedure,
OS-winxp 5.1
processor-1.0 G.Hz
from where i can download the latest ver of my IBM bios,
thanks for help.
I have awdflash.exe utility but not know how to use it.

A:upgrading ibm bios

If you Google;
BIOS how to make and model
that will give you a place to start.
as you provided us no info that will help us help you better...

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.htmlClick to expand...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-ibm-bios.750173/
Relevancy 46.87%

Thinking about upgrading BIOS (4/99). Received an offer $24.95 for the match I need. Said it was an easy install. Pros? Cons? Necessary? Thanks

Relevancy 46.87%

Hi guys,

I have an asus CUSL2 - C motherboard which doesn't suppport Windows XP!So I cannot install the drivers of the card but the PC works fine.I do however want to upgrade the card's bios so that I can install the necessary drivers!
I' ve downloaded the latest version but it's an .awd file and I don't have the right program to open it!
So, what I am asking is the appropriate program and directions on how to upgrade the bios then!

Thanks a lot, Vangelis

A:Bios Upgrading...

If you can't install the drivers I would not attempt to flash the bios, you could make the PC that works fine, totally useless.

Are you trying to install the drivers from ASUS?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bios-upgrading.303588/
Relevancy 46.87%

i want to updgrade my bios and i dont know which updgrade to pick. here is a link to bios upgrade for my board.
http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Downl...DUCT_ID=1265&CATEGORY_TYPE=null&STATUS_FLAG=A

Relevancy 46.87%

There is an old computer that needs to have the BIOS upgraded on it because it is very low advanced, and only gives you 3 different options in the setup. It is a very good computer, but the problem with this BIOS is that it will not recognize any hard drive over 2 gigs. I am trying to install a 15 gig in there now.

The purpose of reviving this computer is to give it to a friend who doesn't really have a computer, and I see this as a good alternative. I will also install Windows 2000 on this computer.

Now I heard that installing the incorrect BIOS software will completely DESTROY the motherboard and render it useless. Could someone point me to the correct software upgrade? I am not sure where to find the info for the BIOS either, such as the manufacturer.

Relevancy 46.87%

I am also not able to utilize all of my 4GB of memory (can see only 3GB) using my Asus P5B premium motherboard on my 64bit operating system. At the Asus web site there is a bios upgrade that corrects a problem as stated in the next sentence below.
"P5B Premium BIOS 1201
1. Fix CPU VID cannot be adjusted when using certain CPU"

Is it POSSIBLE that this bios upgrade (Fix CPU VID) MIGHT correct that problem? I'm reluctent to flash my bios but if flashing the bios MIGHT correct the problem its worth a try.

FyrmnJ

A:Upgrading Bios

I flashed my Asrock bios a couple of times. They provide a very easy way to do it from within Vista/7.

Not sure about Asus - imagine it is the same.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/34955-upgrading-bios.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi,
Trying to upgrade my bios so it has full support for my processor. I read through the instructions given, made a startup ms-dos floppy, and booted from the floppy (with the bios update on it). All I get is an error saying:
I/O disk error
Why is this? I've read through over forums, but nothing seems to help in terms of changing the cables around etc, the drive is working as I managed to copy files onto it.
Please help, anyone?

A:Bios Upgrading

Likely an error in the download. Those BIOS updates are protected as much as possible from defects. If there is any chance of a problem, the BIOS install will not run, because it can permanently ruin the computer.
Suggest you run a new download when all this bad weather has stopped stiring up the internet.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-upgrading.75036/
Relevancy 46.87%

Anyone know where I can upgrade the bios for a Emachine 400IDX system?

MB is a TriGem Micro-ATX Motherboard (FLORIDA-TG(A))

I've been to the Emachine website and found nothing...

A:Upgrading the BIOS

Try the motherboards web site.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-the-bios.130754/
Relevancy 46.87%

My daughter has a Dell Inspiron laptop Her battery has died and I looked up the replacement battery but it states that I may have to upgrade the BIOS Upgrading BIOS for the battery to work The exact Upgrading BIOS battery info is as follows this is info from the original dead battery Battery LIP DLP Unique ID Sony Corp LIP DLP Chemistry LION Power state On Line Manufacturere Sony Corp I have never upgrade Upgrading BIOS flashed a BIOS but I know if it is done wrong you end up with a big paperweight I have searched on how to do this but all the sites were old and talked about copying the file to a floppy to run the program to flash the BIOS A good share of the computers today don t even have a floppy drive and I really don t want to install one or buy an external one just to do this Need some input on this if possible Thanks nbsp

A:Upgrading BIOS

You need to confirm this with the service tag from your daughter's computer, but there is a BIOS update that can be run from the hard drive.

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...0&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=-1&impid=-1

Go to http://support.dell.com and enter the computers service tag, and that will definitely lead you to the correct BIOS update.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-bios.774384/
Relevancy 46.87%

My computer keeps crashing and I keep getting this error. The error report I get back says the error is unknown, but consider a bios upgrade. I already went to my mobos manufacturers website and if you want a bios upgrade they refer you to some site that charges you money.

Does anyone know a free way to upgrade your bios? If you do, please explain with the most lamen terms possible, for I am not the greatest with repairs.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2782/erroron5.png
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6874/98414364lh3.png
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/8884/93565819dq2.png
http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/73/68712822ah1.png

Relevancy 46.87%

I am getting "unknown cpu type" I just put in a Amd Athlon Xp 2800 fsb266 chip clocks at 2.13 ghz in my emachines motherboard is an AM35 bios specs below It runs fine but I just want to get rid of that unknown cpu crap

BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
BIOS Date: 04/29/02
BIOS ID: KM266-8233-6A6LVF0BC-00
OEM Sign ON: Version VLA414E
SUPER I/O: ITE 8705/SiS 950 rev 2 found at port 2Eh
Chipset: VIA 82C3116 rev 0

anyone know where i can get a bios update for this as well as how to backup my bios just in case of crash after flash thanks in advance hope you guys can help me out

A:need help on upgrading bios

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your cpu should run on an fsb of 166mhz(333mhz effective) Giving you a cpu speed of 2083mhz.

See HERE for AMD Athlon XP specs.

Check in your bios that the fsb is correct.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-on-upgrading-bios.35638/
Relevancy 46.87%

I have a compaq machine here in which I have changed the main board. Compaq is no help. The Quick Restore aborts with a message that this Quick Restore is intended for a Compaq only (or words to that effect).

Is there a work-around for this? Is there a way to burn a new CD of the original Quick Restore CD and change or edit a file or something so the Quick Restore will work?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-quick-restore-fails-after-bios-change.238436/
Relevancy 46.44%

I want to install 7 on my Dell XPS M1330, currently running Vista, but have hit an issue. "Windows cannot be installed on this computer with the current system BIOS version. Contact your computer manufacturer for a BIOS update, install the update, and then start Windows installation again. OEM Name: Dell Inc.; XPS M1330 ; BIOS Version: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A10; BIOS Date: 20080421000000.000000+000"

How do I even begin? I thought I found that BIOS on the Dell site ( http://support.dell.com/support/down...&fileid=252274 ), but I can't figure out how to actually install an update. Can someone help me please?

Thank you so much for your time.

A:Upgrading BIOS for 7 upgrade?

download the bios update say to your desktop. then right click the file you just downloaded and run as admin. just follow the promps

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/upgrading-bios-for-7-upgrade-479565.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi, i am going to upgrade my award bios, i already recieved the floppy. Now directions say to enter BIOS CMOS setup, go to boot sequence and boot from Afloppy) first. Save settings and exit by pressing F-10.
I don't want to screw up so do i go to boot sequence: A,C,SCSI, and save and exit on setup page and press F-10 to exit.
Then I shutdown the system, insert floppy and reboot, so far, so good? I hope.
Now is there anything i need to do to backup in case of a bad install, if so what do i do? Does all the above seem correct also?
Thanks for any tips.
Bob

Relevancy 46.44%

So basically I got my new laptop which is the Aspire E - Now my question would be how Aspire E5-473 Upgrading Bios would I update my BIOS I haven't updated it yet i'm currently running the stock one Since I recently found out that there's currently a new BIOS update for the laptop model in the acer official website And which one should I download and install nbsp To anyone who might ask why I'm planning to upgrade update my BIOS it seems like my battery's getting drained even if my laptop is Upgrading Bios Aspire E5-473 turned off I had last - days when I opened up my laptop today I only had remaining Thinking that updating my bios would be the fix for this nbsp I downloaded one and it just said to run the executable file but I'm afraid I might do it wrong and brick out my new laptop Any help would be Upgrading Bios Aspire E5-473 glady appreciated Thank you nbsp P S I made sure that this is the right model of my laptop I also have searched my drivers using the serial number attached below my laptop nbsp

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Series-Laptops/Upgrading-Bios-Aspire-E5-473/td-p/464034
Relevancy 46.44%

Hey guys.

I just flashed the BIOS on my ASUS P5B-MX / WiFi-AP Motherboard. I upgraded from version 0501 to 0702. However, after the update i can't set my RAM to 667MHz as I could do before. It keeps it at 533MHz.

I use Transcend PC5300 RAM.

It also says "Unknown CPU detected. BIOS upgrade is required to unleash its full power." when I start my PC. However I press F1 and it continues to Windows.

Please help.

A:Problems After Upgrading BIOS

A BIOS update should allow the detection of more types of CPU, not fewer. It almost sounds like the "newer" BIOS is actually older.

Can you post a link to the BIOS updates you used? What problem forced you to the drastic need to update the BIOS?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-after-upgrading-bios.118503/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hey guys New to the Forums and first post Bit of a noob so bear with me Hopefully someone here will be able to help me as google has failed lol Recently got a bargain deal on a second hand desktop with the idea to upgrade it myself into a mid range media gaming rig It has an ms- p m m motherboard and an intel celeron D processor After ascertaining that it was compatible with my motherboard i bought an intel Core duo E I plopped that bad boy into the mobo and fired up the computer Fans and heatsinks started whirring and it was all making lovely computery Dead Bios? Cpu....Upgrading noises But alas my monitor did sweet FA totally blank nada Dismayed isnt even the word i put my celeron processor back in to Dead Cpu....Upgrading Bios? see if it would work with the old cpu and here comes the good part i didnt istall the heatsink as i only intended to switch it on for a few seconds to see if the monitor would work which it did btw Unfortunately those few seconds were enough to decimate my poor celeron cpu After doing a bit of research i discovered i might to update my bios Now my celeron still boots windows and actually works but it runs slower than a a a insert witty pun about slow things here and when i hit quot ctrl shift esc quot my cpu usage is at a constant Now my question is this and i will forever love the person who can give me the solution aside from the usual quot haha noob take to a professional blah blah blah quot Because Dead Cpu....Upgrading Bios? yes i know i wish i had But im on a tight budget so couldnt really afford to fork out the cash so dont kick a man when he s down haha Have i forgotten something oh yes the question How do i update my bios with a dead cpu so my mobo will accept my new cpu Lengthy post i know Sorry i dont hold much hope beyond getting a new celeron cpu and upgrading the bios or getting a newer mobo but id really rather not But seriously if anyone can help i will be extremely grateful Thanks guys Ant nbsp

A:Dead Cpu....Upgrading Bios?

Axemanant said:

After ascertaining that it was compatible with my motherboard i bought an intel Core 2 duo E6750.
How did you ascertain this...because there is no mention of E6750 support for that board on MSI's own site.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dead-cpu-upgrading-bios.1021794/
Relevancy 46.44%

I am going through the recommended steps to upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1.  This includes upgrading the BIOS to the latest version on my HP700-430eq desktop machine which I am very happy with in every respect. My current BIOS is 80.23 9-12-2014  2AF3 SSID family.  The HP recommended upgrade is to 80.24A 8-23-2015 I have had no issues with the current BIOS.  Is upgrading the BIOS a necessity for Win10?  According to HP there is no way to reinstall the old BIOS after installing 80.24A. Would appreciate any cautions or recommendations.Thank you!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/issues-upgrading-80-23-bios-to-80-24A/td-p/5656322
Relevancy 46.44%

I want to upgrade Phoenix AWARD BIOS v6.00PG. I have a Shuttle motherboard, however, the BIN number is AK32S306. Where would I find the correct BIOS upgrade, and can it be put on a floppy disk?

Relevancy 46.44%

hi my name is joshua i have a hp pavilion dv4 notebook pc i just try to upgrade the bios to a newer version on the installation process my system hanged for a long time i tried to reboot it and it shows blank screen and caps lock and numb lock blinks four times please help me out

A:bios upgrading issues

Hi,Did you connect your machine to AC power when updating BIOS ? Please try a hard reset and see if it works.1. Power off your laptop2. Remove the a/c adapter, battery and everything that is attached to your laptop.3. Hold the 'POWER 'button down on your laptop for about 10 seconds.4. Plug in the a/c power supply (without battery) and power on. Note: You need to use AC power when udating BIOS.Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/bios-upgrading-issues/td-p/5722374
Relevancy 46.01%

I just got a new mobo (Gigabyte 990FXA-UB3) and a new CPU (AMD FX-6100). Gigabyte has been telling everyone that in order to use these components together, one must update the BIOS with your old processor (for me, a Phenom II x4) for the new processor to work. How does one go about doing this? I don't understand how you update the BIOS for one processor to work with another. Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Relevancy 46.01%

Hi guys, so recently I've been hit with an error that involved the BIOS, to cut a long story short I want to upgrade my BIOS to the latest version.

My BIOS model and version is:

(according to System Information in Windows XP)

American Megatrends Inc.07.00T, 02/04/2001
SMBios Version: 2.3

I have went directly to AMI's website but they just direct you to a software that needs to be downloaded and paid for before you cane ven use it.

I have an ECS M848A rev 2.1 motherboard. So the BIOS and Motherboard manufacturer are not the same. I've also directly been to PC Chips website and can see that the M848AULA rev 2.1 is the exact same model as I can see on the picture on the website, and can confirm that is the one.

I'd like to know how I can found the right BIOS version for my system.

Relevancy 46.01%

I have an old compaq presario 2275 that I thought would be fun to get running again. The problem is that when I try to reload win 98 I keep having problems since I don't have the original factory recovery disk. Does anyone have a way to reset the bios other then removing the battery? Is there a flash upgrade someone knows about? I have tried google but to no avail.
TIA!

_XD_

A:resetting/upgrading old compaq bios

dear former druggie

What makes you think that resetting the bios is going to help you with this situation??

I can't see what benefit it would be. You need to get an OS install disk of some flavor.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/resetting-upgrading-old-compaq-bios.358990/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hello, I bought a new processor (E8400) and wanted to upgrade from e5400 to e8400 but i couldn't.  When i started with e8400 the computer made 1 short beep and 1 long beep and kept doing it like for more than 5 min. How can i make my processor work? pegatron ipiel-la3  is my motherboard. I'm using windows 10. Please help me i'm so sad

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Upgrading-bios-can-t-start-with-new-processor/td-p/5732411
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi This is my daughters machine Prob no sound coming from onboard outlet speakers fine Q Bios installed is v most A7V8X BIOS Upgrading ASUS on recent version available according to ASUS website is Beta Version bit concerned with the words Beta version so maybe i should upgrade Upgrading BIOS on ASUS A7V8X with nd most recent version namely Version It appears that version quot Fixed audio modem codec ID problem Upgrading BIOS on ASUS A7V8X quot but unsure if this will resolve the sound issue i have Anyway it may be good to get the latest version anyway and possible just try and get the correct driver - nb no sound drivers are shown at all to be installed Q Back to the BIOS upgrading ASUS website s inx do not seem to be compatible with XP ie saying create a bootable system floppy without config and autoexec AFLASH exe software boot ini the BIOS upgrade My problem confusion is not with the software or bios upgrade version on the floppy but with the boot ini and the type of boot files i should have on the floppy in order to get to the aflash menu option and not straight into win xp as seems to happen Be grateful for your help JB nbsp

Relevancy 46.01%

Hi This is my daughters machine Prob no sound coming from onboard outlet speakers fine Q Bios Upgrading A7V8X on ASUS BIOS installed is v Upgrading BIOS on ASUS A7V8X most recent version available according to ASUS website is Beta Version bit concerned with the words Beta version so maybe i should upgrade with nd most recent version namely Version It appears that version quot Fixed audio modem codec ID problem quot but unsure if this will resolve the sound Upgrading BIOS on ASUS A7V8X issue i Upgrading BIOS on ASUS A7V8X have Anyway it may be good to get the latest version anyway and possible just try and get the correct driver - nb no sound drivers are shown at all to be installed Q Back to the BIOS upgrading ASUS website s inx do not seem to be compatible with XP ie saying create a bootable system floppy without config and autoexec AFLASH exe software boot ini the BIOS upgrade My problem confusion is not with the software or bios upgrade version on the floppy but with the boot ini and the type of boot files i should have on the floppy in order to get to the aflash menu option and not straight into win xp as seems to happen Be grateful for your help JB nbsp

A:Upgrading BIOS on ASUS A7V8X

The command.com is the boot part
The autoexec.bat and config.sys files are for autoloading drivers and commands (not required)

Quote from here: http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments.aspx?root=198&SLanguage=en-us

However, you will need to have AFLASH.EXE (unzipped) utiility and set the floppy drive as the boot drive. Then, type in the command [ FORMAT A:/S ] (without [] brackets) in DOS mode to create a boot disk. Do not keep AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files in it; Later on, choose item [1] ?Save Current BIOS to File (Save Existing BIOS to File) screen will appear. Then, when you see the query for filename appears, please insert a filename (eg. A:\XXX-XX.XXX ) and hit .Click to expand...

Here's your Drivers page (and bios too) again: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=A7V8X&SLanguage=en-us

Or use this way (preferred, in case you have mx and you don't know it)
Please press the green button, and select your drivers

Sorry, it seems you must do this twice, once here, then when you get to Asus support, click it again. This button uses JavaScript (which is enabled by default on most browsers)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-bios-on-asus-a7v8x.112110/
Relevancy 46.01%

Can I upgrade the BIOS on my T61 if it has a dead battery?

Solved!
Go to Solution.

Relevancy 46.01%

Both CPUs are Socket CPU -- Celeron GHz K of L Cache MHz FSB CPU -- Pentium GHz K of L Cache MHz FSB I can get additional specs on the Pentium easily but I d have to put the Celeron back in to get much on it The Celeron says on it INTEL CELERON GHz V SL C COSTA RICA A - EDIT Here s the link to that processor http processorfinder intel com Details aspx sSpec SL C EVEREST LOG FOR P GHz that Question CPU Quick is currently in the machine CPU Properties CPU Type Intel Pentium MHz x CPU Alias P Willamette A CPU Stepping D Instruction Set x MMX SSE SSE Original Clock MHz Engineering Sample No L Trace Cache K Instructions L Data Cache KB L Cache KB On-Die ECC ATC Full-Speed CPU Physical Info Package Type Pin uPGA Package Size cm x cm Transistors million Process Technology M um CMOS Die Size mm Core Voltage V I Quick CPU Question O Voltage V Typical Power - W depending on clock speed Maximum Power - W depending on clock speed So A Which is better B My Laptop has K of L Cache and it s a GHz PIII-M how does it compare to these C I also have a GHz P with MB of L Cache in another machine I m not saying I would but how beneficial would it be to use that in my desktop Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 46.01%

i was following some tweaks on this site i googled to speed up my computer was ruNNING really slow and well now i have this little problem it seems my system tray icons have disappeard and now they never show.

a few things i did, turn of system index, defrag, check for ad-aware,check for virus, turn of system restore, turn of remote assistence, did some playing around with page-file settings and turned off some options in control panel>>system>>advanced>>performance>>custom i used custom settings.

please help i cant see msn etc.

Relevancy 46.01%

I was wondering if mobo's that list IDE support as ATA133 are backwards compatible. As in, would my ATA100 run on a ATA133 board? A quick response would be greatly appreciated because i need to make a decision on a mobo soon. Thanks.

A:Quick question about ATA HDD's

nvm got my answer after searching for a while longer. (For those of you who did not know already mostly all boards are backwards compatible, but will list only the latest IDE available)
:grinthumb

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/quick-question-about-ata-hdds.37764/
Relevancy 46.01%

ok sorry, but just wanna be sure, i wanna get a wireless router, for pc/laptop its cool.. but what about my PS2 lol

i can hook up the network wire from the wireless router to my ps2 right?? i was looking into this wireless adapter thats made for the ps2, but i already bought the ps2 modem, and i still want to be able to stay connected to the net while i play games... can someone confirm that this is alright???

A:ok quick question

it's a laPtop, and yes, you can hook up the PS2 to a wireless adapter via ethernet cable just fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ok-quick-question.10092/
Relevancy 46.01%

im tryin to get to know how my pc works a little better, and the best way i guess is to ask!!!

so what are these files?

E:\RECOVER

RETTEN.000
RETTEN.001
RETTEN.002
RETTEN.003
retten.exe

if i double click on retten.exe, a dos window comes up, with german txt in... and thats it???

thanks.... this has always puzzeled me, thanks

A:just a quick question!!

Retten.exe is stored in the recover directory of the partitioned C drive. By running this an XP cd rom is not needed. XP is reinstalled and drive C is formatted.It is a german program as you have found out. JUst type in Retten.exe into Google.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/just-a-quick-question.217107/
Relevancy 46.01%

Im not very technical with pc's. Im jus wondering if power supplies are standard and fit any computer case. There aren't different sizes are they? Im buying an Antec 430w TruePower PSU. Also i was wondering are PSU's extremely hard to fit, or are they ok to install? The only reason im buying one is becuase this one ive got at current is powerman 250w, and im buying a new vid card soon, so i want a PSU higher than 250w.

Cheers for help

A:Quick PSU Question

As long as your PSU and case follow the same standard, then you are okay. That Antec PSU (nice PSU btw) you are trying to get follows the ATX standard. So if you have an ATX case, all is swell.

If you have an OEM computer such as from Dell, etc., they may have non-standard motherboards, case, and/or PSU. So an ATX PSU may not work correctly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/quick-psu-question.13688/
Relevancy 46.01%

Since, I have become a member of this site forum, I have seen a lot people in the Windows XP section running Service Pack 3. I would like to why no one is running Service Pack 3 which has been out for a long time, and has been stable. I was just asking this to get other peoples inputs.

A:Just A Quick Question.

I think that the people that haven't added the SP3 either are those that want to be sure that the bugs are worked out before adding it, or are just not aware of the benefits of adding the SP3. There were some problems when SP3 first came out, and I think a lot of people saw this and didn't think that the benefits were worth the possible complications.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/170559/just-a-quick-question/
Relevancy 46.01%

can u install xp on a vista computer? i want to install xp on my other hard drive but using a vista computer. is there a way to install it on just the hard drive and keep the vista?

Relevancy 46.01%

Hello all. Just a real quick question here...

I have a webcam but it only comes with Vista drivers which I download from the site. The webcam's model is: Targus. Model: AVC0102.
1.) Does Vista driver work on Windows 7?
2.) Will it cause BSOD, you know since its hardware stuffs.

Sorry for all the newbie questions, please help. Thanks!!!

A:A quick question!

A vista driver can work on Seven. You just install in compatabilty mode.
It should not cause a BSOD
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ion-of-Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/142293-quick-question.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I have I guess, an older model Gateway computer. But I have a 22" HP monitor. I am wondering if it is possible to put in a new video card, or whatever, to help it work better. Sometimes the monitor gets real fuzzy, then maybe piles of lines if I don't shut the puter down. Maybe I need more video memory, have no darn idea. Nor, how to put more video memory in here
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

A:Quick Question

There is no way to add more video memory unfortunately. Trying a new video card may work, but it could be the monitor as well.

Also do youhave anything near the monitor that draws a lot of electricity? Electrical currents can affect a monitor.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/10679/quick-question/
Relevancy 46.01%

What is the main difference between an SLI ready PSU and a PSU that is not SLI ready?

When comparing them, the only difference I can see is that the SLI ready have more than 1 pci-e connector. Is this the only difference?

Thanks
-Andrew

Relevancy 46.01%

I had windows 7 in my computer but it was getting to bogged down (laggy) so i downgraded to windows xp but most of the games need newer OS,

so my question is whats the differnce between vista and 7 Performance wise? and which is recommended for my system?

Amd X2 5200+
2gig DDR 800
160gb HD
Geforce 210 512mb

A:Quick Question

Here is Windows vs. Windows compared:

Compare Windows - Microsoft Windows

You can also download this which is an Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, and it will tell you want you need to remove or add to your computer to be able to run Windows 7.

Its a test if your computer can run Windows 7.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/quick-question-620479.html
Relevancy 46.01%

i got a 2TB hardrive or hardisk in my computer...how should i partition it?? the safe way...

atm its...1TB for C

then 244 GB for E

Then 686 GB for G

is this ok or bad or wat exactly??

A:quick question..!!

There is no correct way to partition a hard drive. You want a big drive for C to hold all the programs you want to install. But if you don't have a lot of programs, then this doesn't matter. Some people like a large partition somewhere to hold all their movies, songs etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/quick-question.1043113/
Relevancy 46.01%

I need to know whether or not I can use the OS on a HDD which was in a prebuilt computer for an upgrade. I would be keeping the HDD because there is nothing wrong with it and it has all of my data on it. The parts I would be replacing would be the motherboard, CPU, Case, and RAM. I'd be keeping the sound card, HDD, Optical drive, and GPU (yes, it works fine).

A:Quick Question.

Once you replace the motherboard, that ends the use of that operating system while there are times a call to Microsoft and a "sob story" may get some sympathy, legally the answer is no. Now a retail version of Windows, that you bought if it is a retail version is another story but the code in it carries whether it is oem (original equipment manufacturer) or retail.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/quick-question-617663.html
Relevancy 46.01%

if you're getting BSOD at the operating system loading screen... (just before user account login)...
is there a good chance that just simply reformating the computer could fix the problem? cause dataloss isnt a issue for me, but i dont wanna spend my time reformating if theres a 0 to 0.1% chance that it could fix the problem, but if my odds are any greater then that i might as well give it a shot? could anyone help me here? just a quick yes or no basically

Relevancy 46.01%

Hello, after installing Windows 7 home premium (full); if i happened to run into an issue and had to reformat or restore factory default, would i lose windows 7 as my operating system? Furthermore, would i be able to reinstall it using my disc and serial? Thanks in advance.

Nathan

A:Just a quick question..

Yes, you can reinstall from that same disc and you can easily reactivate it over and over again.

Better yet, navigate into the backup app, and make a system image and then you can just this to put your machine back to the way that it is right now in just a matter of minutes without having to reinstall.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/28562-just-quick-question.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I'm converting a bunch of DVD files to MKV and expect it to take quite a bit of time. My 8yr old daughter has her own user account, and uses the computer a lot for school and games, and obviously I don't want her to accidentally disturb the running task.. If I switch from my user account to hers, will the task on my account keep running, or will it suspend until I log back on again?

Thanks..

A:Quick Question...

Code:
If you click the Switch User button, all active programs and network connections will continue to run (the session remains active), and you will return to the Welcome screen, where other users can log on. The user's session will remain active until the computer is restarted or the user is logged off of the session.
I will test it real quick starting a clean of some sort.
Update: IT will continue running, your daughter might slow the process, and she might have some laggy issues or something depending on how fast your pc is nd how heavy the process running is. But it will work.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/302427-quick-question.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I have bought Windows 7 Professional, can I use this disk to install on two computers? I would like it on both my home and work computer.

Thanks

A:Quick question

One key only one computer. If you have a second key, you can use the same DVD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/64579-quick-question.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I did a clean install 2 days ago and everything working fine the question is before I reinstalled,the disk fragmenter showed C partition and below that it showed reserved 100mb now it only shows C partition is this OK or not

A:A quick question

Does the 100MB partition not show up in Disk Management either?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/68625-quick-question.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hey guys,

I have 4gb (2x2GB) of Corsair Dominator RAM in my computer right now. I still have two available slots, but since i am strapped for cash at the moment i wanted to buy just one more stick. Is this recommended, or should you fill both slots rather than one. I've heard people tell me you can, and some people tell me you really shouldn't. Any ideas? Thanks

Timz

Relevancy 46.01%

Hello I have one weird problem one that I tired to fix with a clean install but the problem still exists Whenever I try to install games or software it will either give me quot Error quot or it will tell me that quot The Data on the CD does not match the Data in the setup file quot The last message popped up on the game quot Spore quot As I said before this is a brand new install and ALL of the drivers are up-to-date Is the Hard drive going or is my XP CD gone bad ADDED DETAILS This is the third time I had to reformat my hard drive because of an error on the hard drive all three I had nothing to do with they just corrupted on their own This problem has me at a loss I've never experience Quick question? anything like it before Quick question? I've fixed a lot of computers in my time but never had more problems crop up until the HDD corrupted the very first time BTW My XP CD is one that I had to burn off my computer through the Dell thingy as the CD did not come with the computer on a CD it came on it It had to be burned off to a CD this is why I hate dell I regret buying a quot pre-made quot PC quot It's a lot easier just to buy quot I said Oh how dumb I was I have another Windows XP Home Edition CD that came with another computer could I reformat and use that one instead of the one that quot came quot with this computer if it's the XP CD

A:Quick question?

Your two possibilities are possible (XP CD bad and/or HD bad), but I think it's more likely that your CD-Drive is bad.

Also, you can burn another disk and try it. But if the optical drive is bad, the CD it makes will be too. A sub-catagory of the "bad optical drive" is a bad cable. Both IDE and SATA cables can go bad.

Did you have any errors during the installation ?

If your XP Home is the Retail version, you can use it on this computer as long as it is not installed on another computer. There's some tricky caveat in the Rules about this; I think you are allowed to have it on one desktop and one laptop, as long as one or the other doesn't connect to the internet or something. Anyways, Retail version lets you do something like this.

OEM does not. It's a one-time shot. Technically, the OEM disk won't know that it was (or is) installed on a previous computer, but MS will know when you run Windows Update. There is a hardware code registered with MS the first time a XP installation visits Windows Update, and if the hardware on the original machine changes signficantly, so does the code and MS "knows" the hardware has changed. Sometimes changing a hard drive or motherboard will result in MS flagging the XP installation, and then you have to call MS's toll-free number and explain to them that you changed the HD or the motherboard or whatever. Then they "revalidate" your O/S and you are able to run normally.

This forum does not allow discussion of subject matter that falls outside what they consider to be "the law", so be careful how you respond to this post, and any others on this subject.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/quick-question-347239.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I added a theme from firefox,but I don't see any difference,how do I install it.

A:Anyone quick question

Restart Firefox to activate the newly installed theme. If you still don't see it, go to Tools > Add-ons > Themes, select the one you want, click the 'Use Theme' button and restart Firefox.

Is the theme you're trying to install compatible with your version of Firefox?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f131/anyone-quick-question-161539.html
Relevancy 46.01%

So my 3rd day back on a PC and with windows 7.

So I have Mcafee.

When I open it on the right hand side of the task bar the little M icon is there.

Now do i have to keep the main window open for it to run? IE: minimize the mcafee window so it sits on the left of the taskbar with the big M with a square box around it? or can i close it X and as long as the little M on the right by the clock is there it is runnung?

A:1 more quick question

Quote: Originally Posted by mikamika

So my 3rd day back on a PC and with windows 7.
Now do i have to keep the main window open for it to run?

Nope.

Quote: Originally Posted by mikamika

or can i close it X and as long as the little M on the right by the clock is there it is runnung?

That is correct.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/68476-1-more-quick-question.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi all,

My question should be pretty easy for you guys so i'll get to it.

When i check to see if my system can run certain games, it passes the min spec for all other than the processor which it fails on, BUT just below it passes by speed by more than enough.

CPU
Minimum: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0 GHz or better

You Have: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz

CPU Speed
Minimum: Pass

You Have: 3.2 GHz

I am just wondering if it will still run the game or even install or not, I don't mind turning the settings to low or medium.
Thankyou in advance.

A:A quick question, in need of help

Most likely it will run sluggishly at best... it depends on the game

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/a-quick-question-in-need-of-help.1015593/
Relevancy 46.01%

2 question

Is it possible to make a 6pin connecter, without a real one. like adding a 4 pin+2pin, something like that?

My motherboard has 24 pin connecter to power supply
but...on the default setup, it only connects 20pin, so 4pins plugged in.
so my question is, if my mobo has 24pin for the psu, should i plug in all 24 or should i leave it at 20. will it fry if i use 24, im keeping it at 20, but i think this might be a problem to me not be able to boot in my DVD drive.

A:just a quick question

Originally Posted by kiddieboy12

2 question

Is it possible to make a 6pin connecter, without a real one. like adding a 4 pin+2pin, something like that?

My motherboard has 24 pin connecter to power supply
but...on the default setup, it only connects 20pin, so 4pins plugged in.
so my question is, if my mobo has 24pin for the psu, should i plug in all 24 or should i leave it at 20. will it fry if i use 24, im keeping it at 20, but i think this might be a problem to me not be able to boot in my DVD drive.

Hi kiddieboy....
its fine, some older motherboards only have a 20pin connection as 24pin is not required.

if you have a 24pin PSU connection & a 24pin mobo connection then they should all be used.

if your saying you only have a 4pin plug connected to your motherboard then there's a problem.

sorry your post wasn't too clear.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/265082-just-quick-question.html
Relevancy 46.01%

my computers fan are really loud and I read on the internet that if you lubricate the fans with a drop of some lube oil it will help the fans get quitier , I just wanna know if this is true, or will it burn up my fans.. thanks

A:quick question

Take a look at this thread HERE it may help.

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/quick-question.85368/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hello everyone, I am new to these forums.

I would like to know of any free programs that would allow me to back up my seasons of 24 on dvd to a high quality format so I can watch them on my computer. I would like to back them to mpeg or something better, and I am really not into divx. I dont want to burn these on dvds so I am not looking to rip them as ISO.

Nope, nothing that is legal that would allow you to back up / copy your copyrighted material.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/quick-question.526062/
Relevancy 46.01%

I have pictures on my website and I want to get them to open up without the toolbar. I want just the top border (Internet Explorer Bar) and nothing else to show uo but the picture in the box.

Also I need the code to embed in my website that if people don't have java they will be prompted that they need if their images don't display.

Thanks

Relevancy 46.01%

For my mobo im getting
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813188009

It has a floppy disk but do I need that to install the mobo or is it like a secondary installer just incase the CD doesnt work?

What are you getting for your mobo?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/quick-question.63720/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hello, all.

Right, I only have a 400W PSU at the minute, and I fear this is not enough to properly power my machine. I intend to buy a new one at 750W some time soon, but I wonder if there is a way to determine if my current PSU is a little too weak for my system?

I have attached a snip of SpeedFan's power section, in case that could be an indicator.

Cheers,
Tom.

A:Quick question about my PSU.

Those voltages don't look right. The +5V lines are well out of spec. What figures do you get on the appropriate page in the BIOS?

The voltages should lie within the following ranges (we can ignore the negative rails, as these are not used any more):

Loose Tolerance -10%/+8%:

3.3V 2.97V / 3.63V
5.0V 4.5V / 5.4V
12.0V 10.8V / 12.9V

Tight Tolerance -5%/+5%

3.3V 3.135V / 3.465V
5.0V 4.75V / 5.25V
12.0V 11.4V / 12.6V

Your +5V line is reporting a deviation from the nominal level of +37% in the first column and -28% in the second, both figures are well out of the tolerance ranges.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/133700-quick-question-about-my-psu.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hello, all.

How would one transport/store a stick of RAM, without damaging it with static etc. I have no static-proof bags, so that is not an option.

Cheers,
Tom.

A:Very quick RAM question! :)

I keep ram just lying around at work and move it from point to point and I don't use static bags. I honestly wouldn't worry about it that much.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/132854-very-quick-ram-question.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I was logging into my computer today when I thought, what the point in having a password, when cookiegal was helping fixing my computer she told me to go into safe mode, well when your in safe mode the admins account isnt password protected, so you can just go on an change my accounts password under the admin account.

is there any way to put a block on the admin account, or at least password protect it, or is that stopped by windows so you can get locked out.

A:just a quick question

Yes, logon as Administrator, go to User Accounts, select Administrator and Create Password. Create passwords for all other accounts as well.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/just-a-quick-question.608431/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hey guys,
Well i have had my laptop for about a month now and i was wondering if theres a way to tell wether the graphics and sound have their own memory on them. My graphics is an ATI Mobility Radeon X600SE card. My sound is realtek 97. If theres a way to tell please let me know.
-new tech guy

Relevancy 46.01%

I have a new HD that was given to me as a gift..It's a IDE HD and my PC is built with a SATA HD. What steps should I take to add the IDE HD to my system? I have cables of all sorts. Just want to check my thoughts with others.. Thanks.

A:Quick HD Question..

Make sure the BIOS is set to boot off the sata drive before any ide drives. Then just plug it in, your motherboard likely still has 1 place to plug in an IDE drive, probably the CD/DVD. I'd set the CD DVD drive to Slave and set the hard drive to Master, but it really doesn't matter so long as one is Master and the other is Slave. You 'can' use Cable Select (CS) but I don't like to recommend that way.

If you don't have any IDE controllers on the motherboard you can buy an IDE controller card to go in a free PCI slot.

If you don't have any free PCI slots you can buy an external enclosure and toss the drive in there and connect through USB or Firewire.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/quick-hd-question.85472/
Relevancy 46.01%

I use comcast cable ISP with a D-link wireless router and have a laptop connected.

My question is this: I have antivirus and firewall protection on the wired computer. Do I need to also install it on the wireless laptop? Or is that protected by the main computer?

I appreciate any answers. Thanks.

Juli

A:A quick question

The main computer has nothing to do with your wireless laptop. You need antivirus protection on all computers. You might as well have a firewall as well.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/a-quick-question.399395/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hey all

I think this is the right forum to ask this, if not, please move it to the correct one

Anyhow, I noticed when I turn on the computer sometimes, I get a black screen (the kind of screen you get when the monitor is working but the computer isn't) that says Monitor ok, check connection or something or other. I have to power down, and then I power up again, and the screen is gone.

Is this normal? If not, what causes it?

Relevancy 46.01%

hi guys,i was wondering,if i have just a dvd drive not a dvd burner,can i burn a vcd onto a dvd cd-r just for the purpose of fitting a 755 mb avi onto just 1 disc?and if not,what r my options?i used blaze media pro and split the avi into 2 files to just burn it on 2 discs but when i go to burn it using blaze it says its not a valid file,they r both avi files so im not sure of the prob.i then tried nero with the split files 2 no avail,same prob with invalid files?id much rather get it all on one disc anyways,so any tips would be awesome.btw GO SEAHAWKS!!muahahaha,thanks in advance

A:vcd?just a quick question

The max for VCD burning onto a dvd is 700mb. You can't burn raw avi's onto that because they take up alot more space. The quality is about the same as VHS tape. I would recommend that you consider buying a DVD rw (they are very cheap), converting your files to mpegs and burn to DVD.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vcd-just-a-quick-question.435984/
Relevancy 46.01%

ok I'm makeing a data dvd and all it is is just video files, so, will the DVD play on a standard DVD player or just on a computer?