Windows Support Forum

Hard drive light stays on and computer freezes randomly in windows 7

Q: Hard drive light stays on and computer freezes randomly in windows 7

I am little bit worried about my harddrive. Previously I had 80 gb harddrive and then I upgraded it to 320 gb. I have dell latitude d630 laptop with two operating system. Windows 7 and XP. When I use Windows 7 then my computer specially hard drive light stays on and mouse is busy and I have to restart my laptop however in my XP this problem is never seen. I also installed vista and deep formatted the hard drive but the problem still persists in windows 7. The system is normal but when I surf internet via mozilla or chrome. This problem arises. I have done everytrouble shooting I can chkdsk and everything but when I use chkdsk in my western digital harddrive, it says error. I am thinking its harddrive issue what do u say?

thanks

OS is Win 7 Prof

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Hard drive light stays on and computer freezes randomly in windows 7

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Hard drive light stays on and computer freezes randomly in windows 7

Run the western digital diagnostic tool, if it says its bad, then time to rma the disk.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/213659-hard-drive-light-stays-computer-freezes-randomly-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 112.84%

I am little bit worried about my harddrive. Previously I had 80 gb harddrive and then I upgraded it to 320 gb. I have dell latitude d630 laptop with two operating system. Windows 7 and XP. When I use Windows 7 then my computer specially hard drive light stays on and mouse is busy and I have to restart my laptop however in my XP this problem is never seen. I also installed vista and deep formatted the hard drive but the problem still persists in windows 7. The system is normal but when I surf internet via mozilla or chrome. This problem arises. I have done everytrouble shooting I can chkdsk and everything but when I use chkdsk in my western digital harddrive, it says error. I am thinking its harddrive issue what do u say?

thanks

OS is Win 7 Prof

A:Hard drive light stays on and computer freezes randomly in windows 7

Can we get some system spec's?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/213655-hard-drive-light-stays-computer-freezes-randomly-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 88.97%

Hi there new here I have searched for about - hours on this topic I have updated as many drivers as I could and I have changed my SATA cables out I cannot figure out this problem When I am on my computer the red hard driver indicator light on the top of my case will blink constantly When I start playing a game fast, it? freezes. causes computer drive solid, What and Hard light stays then blinks it will blink really fast and then you can hear a Hard drive light blinks fast, then stays solid, and computer freezes. What causes it? quot beep quot sound The light stays red for a few seconds Hard drive light blinks fast, then stays solid, and computer freezes. What causes it? then goes back to blinking intermittently When it beeps everything freezes up for a bit - seconds Then it will come back and resume like before Sometimes the beeps and freezes are minutes apart sometimes they are minutes apart Its really annoying and I dont want to take it to a shop just yet Anyone ever heard of this happening Is the hard drive overheating maybe Cause it gets worse when I have things like music and games going at the same time If anyone would like to know more about the computer I will list it all

A:Hard drive light blinks fast, then stays solid, and computer freezes. What causes it?

Go to Start/Search and type CMD Right click the CMD icon in the Search Results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type chkdsk /R and press enter. Now type a Y for Yes and restart the computer. The Check Disk Utility will check the integrity of the drive.
You can also download the ISO image for Seatools in my signature, and burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature and run the Quick and the Extended diagnostic tests on the HDD.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hard-drive-light-blinks-fast-then-stays-solid-and-computer-freezes-what-causes-it-647800.html
Relevancy 106.64%

i recently had blue screen error due to memory ram. i bought a new ram installed it now when i start my computer the hard drive light stays solid red i get no signal for my monitor. and the cd & cdrw (both are seperate slots) lights keep blinking even though i have no cd in them. please help!

A:Computer won't Boot, hard drive light stays on

clear the CMOS (best to unplug the system and pull out the battery on the motherboard)
Do that for 30 minutes then connect back and turn on the system. If you still have issues then the RAM Voltage is not compatible with your mother board.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-wont-boot-hard-drive-light-stays-on.140501/
Relevancy 95.46%

Got a strange problem - recently added a CD-RW drive as a slave drive to my DVD drive The DVD is jumpered as Master Stays Light On Hard Drive and the CD-RW is Hard Drive Light Stays On jumpered as Slave However after adding the CD-RW drive the hard disk light stays on permanently If I disconnect the cable from the CD-RW then the hard light is fine i e it only lights up Hard Drive Light Stays On when the hard disk is being written to When I plug it back in the light stays on The CR-RW and DVD are on IDE and the Hard drive is the master on IDE There is no slave on IDE So by adding the CD-RW as the slave on IDE it has caused the hard drive light for the drive on IDE to stay on Just as strange if I set the DVD drive to quot Not Installed quot in the BIOS just leaving the CD-RW as the slave drive then the hard drive light works correctly again My motherboard is a MSI KT V Help nbsp

A:Hard Drive Light Stays On

Have you tried a new data cable?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-light-stays-on.161981/
Relevancy 95.46%

My Pc's Hard Drive power LED light stays on. It started doing this shortly after I did a complete HD re-format and install of Win XP.
Is this just a coincidence?
The drive only makes noises when accessed for a read or write function, otherwise there is no noise from the drive, even though the LED stays on.
It never did this before!
Is this something that needs to be corrected? How?
Starting in Safe Mode has the same results--LED stays on.
Thanks for any help.

Relevancy 93.74%

Hi, I just noticed earlier today that my hdd light is staying on. I mean on like the power light is on, not flickering when the hard drive is being used. Is this the light going bad, or is the motherboard going bad? Please don't tell me that the mobo is goind bad.

A:Solved: Hard drive activity light stays on

I had that happen with a brand new build a couple of years ago. Changing cases made no difference. The retailer checked the motherboard and replaced it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-drive-activity-light-stays-on.697822/
Relevancy 91.16%

My Computer freezes and stops working only when im downloading a torrent or try to stream!
The Red Blinking light (Which im sure is for the Hard Disk) stops blinking once these freezes happen
When it freezes sometimes i cant even restart it with the restart button on the case and have to take its cable out.The problem has been on my computer for a year but i havent tried fixing it.

I had a blue screen of death once but that was months ago.
Havent ReInstalled Windows even once since ive got it last year.

Sidenote: I sometimes have Administrator problems and cant do some stuff when i am the administrator could that be the problem?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/379469-computers-freezes-computer-cases-red-light-hard-drive-stops-blinkin.html
Relevancy 88.15%

So for some time now my computer has been freezing randomly Truly randomly I don't have to be doing anything at all I can just be at the desktop or sometimes I return to find it frozen Although most of the time it isn't frozen just REALLY SLOW You have to wait a minute for the mouse to move and inch I have a setup where I have a freezes Computer randomly, drive hard help replugging it. Need fixes hooked up to my monitor I can press the input switch to go between the two However if I turn off Computer freezes randomly, replugging hard drive fixes it. Need help the without switching to the PC manually usually happens automatically when the turns off then it will be frozen when the screen returns to it And yes it IS frozen or rather really really slow like I described before Now here's the thing If I try to restart it usually gets to a point where is says quot loading IDE drive quot or something and stay there BUT if I replug my hard drive it boots up fine and won't freeze for a certain amount of time Sometimes an hour sometimes a week The problem always returns though I was wondering if anyone knows a more permanent fix I recall reading somewhere about a year ago it had to do with some setting Some frequency of megahertz or something

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-freezes-randomly-replugging-hard-drive-fixes-it-need-help-355885.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello, SevenForums Community

My Computer is giving me a problem for 1 month!

The problem is that, my computer Freezes randomly, while that is happening my HDD red light Turns Solid RED!

This is totally random, but it happens more times when i'm playing games (ex: Skyrim , GTA San Andreas , The Sims3).

But this happens also when i'm on my desktop.

This problem is making me bald , my pc "back in the days" could run Crysis 2 without a problem, now it freezes randomly.

I hope that you can help me, SevenForums Community.

If you need any information about my Computer tell me.

A:My Computer Freezes randomly while hdd Light turns solid red.

Hey LeonPT, welcome to Sevenforums

First remove all non-essential cards from your machine, i.e sound, modems etc, etc.

Download burn and run memtest from PassMark MemTest86 - Memory Diagnostic Tool. This will test your PC's memory. Leave it running for a few hours.

Next

Download the manufacturers disk for your hard drives. Test and ensure that they are functioning properly.

Remove and clean all components contacts and clean the CPU fan and any other fans in your system.

Report back with results.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/297835-my-computer-freezes-randomly-while-hdd-light-turns-solid-red.html
Relevancy 82.99%

UPDATE drive randomly Hard goes light crash) stopping - out laptop (HD Uninstalled Avast on the th of November and installed Avira not had a single crash yet which is great ----- Hard drive randomly stopping (HD light goes out - laptop crash) I need Hard drive randomly stopping (HD light goes out - laptop crash) some advice help please Ok so this laptop is nearly years old but she's my baby and has lasted too long to let go yet Recently while using my machine the hard drive has randomly stopped spinning and the hard drive activity light goes out - PC freezes and no BSOD I have to force restart the machine which takes me to the black screen to boot normally into safemode This has been happening for about months now and mostly every day sometimes twice a day seems to be getting worse I think I think the problem is Hard drive randomly stopping (HD light goes out - laptop crash) related to Firefox and Google Chrome the PC doesn't seem to crash when running any other programs For example I'll be on YouTube I'll pause the video and it may just crash I click a link in Google search it may crash I open the Firefox menu and it may crash but not always It doesn't seem to crash when left alone running a program or idling away Troubleshooting I've tried reseating hard drive ram clearing all vents not a heat issue defrag Reinstalled Firefox and Google Chrome Checked PC temperatures - no problem here I have no Vista repair disc and nobody else seems to use Vista anymore to lend me one SFC Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them CHKDSK Bad sectors Apologies for the long post PC specs below GB RAM - Windows Vista Home Premium Version Service Pack Build Intel R Pentium R Dual CPU T GHz Mhz Core s Logical Processor s

A:Hard drive randomly stopping (HD light goes out - laptop crash)

What brand/model is your laptop?

It's interesting you were able to run a defrag, a HDD-intensive task.

Do you have a way to back up your system?
There is a thread on this forum under the General Discussion topic where you may be able to request a link to a genuine copy of Vista, which you could use to reinstall the system. This could tell you broadly whether you have a hardware or software problem.
(The size of that thread tells you how many people just don't seem to have recovery discs, or never created discs, can't find them, etc.)

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/304064-hard-drive-randomly-stopping-hd-light-goes-out-laptop-crash.html
Relevancy 77.83%

hi,
I'm getting "floppy drive fail (40)" error during bootup. Went into bios and enabled the drive. Still giving me error message during reboot. Even when I hit f1 to continue without the floppy drive...the drive light still stays on.

A:floppy drive light stays on

I just attached a new floppy cable to my drive this morning. And of course the light stayed on all the time. Just flip the connector upside down where it connects to the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/floppy-drive-light-stays-on.330410/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hello I have been experiencing a rather annoying problem with my laptop A random times often not long after startup wakeup my hard drive appears to freeze The hard drive light lights up solid any programs accessing the drive freeze drive freezes hard randomly Laptop and resource monitor says the disk is quot active quot yet also says quot kb disk I O quot is occuring After a couple of minutes it fixes itself and anything ive attempted to do during the time it was frozen all happens really quickly The nature of the problem makes me believe its the hard drive at fault but its smart readings are fine and ive ran the dell diagnostic tool that came with the laptop without finding any problems Ive also done Laptop hard drive freezes randomly the ususal routine of updating drivers and the BIOS etc Also it has never happened while gaming only ever while web browsing or other non-strenuous stuff so it may be a problem with power management Ive found several threads while googling that have the same problem but none seem to have a solution Any help would be appreciated Also ill try to screenshot the resource monitor when it happens again Thanks Jim Specs Dell XPS L x Intel core i ghz i think gb ram Nvidia GT m Toshiba MK GSGY gb HDD

A:Laptop hard drive freezes randomly

I'm gonna level with you. Dell's diagnostic software is not very good at all. It usually only detects a problem if the component is about to outright die. use Toshiba's HDD diagnostic tool to test your hDD. You should be able to download it from the link below.

Software Utilities

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/203636-laptop-hard-drive-freezes-randomly.html
Relevancy 75.25%

My computer is stuck or frozen. The activity light stays on. I have removed all fans and cleaned them, remove battery and replaced after 30 minutes, used a different battery, unplugged all cables. After trying each one, I plugged the computer in again and still activity light stays on. The moniter is black. When I turn it off and on it shows "no signal" on the screen. I also replaced the ram with two 2Gs. What do I do to stop whatever activity is going on?

Relevancy 75.25%

Hi i am new to this and need some help with my laptop ... The cpu light stays on a lot and often flickers .... when it flickers it seems to work faster but when the light stays on it really slows down the computer

please help

Thank you

Lee

A:cpu light stays on alot and slows the computer

Looking at your system specs, my first suggestion is to see how much free space is left on your HDD. Chances are that you've run out of room for virtual memory, and your system is compensating by constantly reading and writing to the disk. Considering the amount of RAM your system has, I'd also suggest increasing that, as well. 4G is a good spot to be at for this system.

Something else to check is Startup Programs (Hit Win-R and type "msconfig", then look at the Startup tab) for programs that you don't need to startup every time you boot your computer. Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager , Java Platform SE Auto Updater, etc..., are some examples. Disable them by unchecking the box, then reboot.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/355163-cpu-light-stays-alot-slows-computer.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hey guys. The PC I'm on right now has been turning itself off randomly when I am using it. When it does this the power light is still showing, mouse is still lit up usb sytick still lit up etc.
What could be the cause of this and how can I fix this??
Thanks

A:Computer turns itself off and power light stays on

Is your computer going into hibernation and are your temps OK?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/82853-computer-turns-itself-off-power-light-stays.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I'm using windows haven't had many problems until now I just moved into a new apartment and i worry it's some power related damage Windows boot from won't on or CD Computer Hard Startup, Drive. Freezes i don't know I had the computer running when i moved in Then i went to buy groceries came back accidentally kicked the power strip on off switch beneath the desk with my foot and windows hasn't started since When i start the computer i have full access to my bios if i boot Computer Freezes on Startup, won't boot from Windows CD or Hard Drive. from my HD i am shown a windows error recovery screen asking me to start windows startup repair or Computer Freezes on Startup, won't boot from Windows CD or Hard Drive. start windows normally Selecting startup repair gets me a loading bar then a black screen maybe after min i will get a blue screen like the background of the ui when installing windows If i start windows normally i get the windows logo then a very fast BSOD flash then the computer restarts Booting from my windows install disk lets me choose between install and repair language selection then it freezes and i get the same windows style back slash ad infinitum Thanks guys i really hope i don't have any permanent damage Anxiously awaiting your replies

A:Computer Freezes on Startup, won't boot from Windows CD or Hard Drive.

What Brand and Model PC?

Since you can get into the bios look for a PC(hardware) Health page and check the temps and voltage listings(12v, 5v, 3.3v).

If it a stock OEM PC reset to factory defaults save and exit the bios.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/computer-freezes-on-startup-wont-boot-from-windows-cd-or-hard-drive-660434.html
Relevancy 74.39%

My Dell laptop computer is running very slow. The read/write data light stays on almost constantly for an hour. Any ideas on the cause or how to fix?

A:Slow Computer Read/Write Light Stays On

Hiya

This may be hardware/software replated. It sounds like something is running in the background, so lets rule out malware and then see if trimming your startup programs will help, to start with

Download 'Hijack This!
Extract the files to the Program Files as suggested, or Browse to a newly created folder. Don't run straight from the desktop, as the Backup files will be stored there.

Navigate to the extracted files, and doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log somewhere, and please copy & paste its contents to the forum.

It will possibly show other issues deserving our attention, but most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

Someone here will be happy to help you analyze the results.

Regards

eddie

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/slow-computer-read-write-light-stays-on.607104/
Relevancy 74.39%

hi any help would be appreciated thanks Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows Vista WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe C hp support hpsysdrv exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard On-Screen OSD Indicator OSD exe C WINDOWS RtHDVCpl exe C Windows system schtasks exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update hpwuSchd exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ee aolsoftware exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging hard do forcing freezes randomly me to reboot. up, Computer bin HpqSRmon exe C WINDOWS System rundll exe C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Advisor HPAdvisor exe C WINDOWS ehome ehtray exe C Program Files Shutterfly Studio Bin SFlyStudio exe C Windows ehome ehmsas exe C WINDOWS System rundll exe C Windows system wuauclt exe C Program Files Internet Explorer ieuser exe C Windows system Macromed Flash FlashUtil f exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C hp kbd kbd exe C Users refurb Desktop HJT HiJackThis exe C Windows system DllHost exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TY ion amp pf desktop R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TY ion amp pf desktop R - HKLM Computer randomly freezes up, forcing me to do hard reboot. Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Computer randomly freezes up, forcing me to do hard reboot. Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TY ion amp pf desktop R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName O - Hosts localhost O - BHO amp Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll Computer randomly freezes up, forcing me to do hard reboot. O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - E A - - D F-BEAE-D A C - c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared coShared Browser NppBho dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - Toolbar Show Norton Toolbar - -F - -B -FBEE C B DF - c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared coShared Browser UIBHO dll O - HKLM Run Windows Defender ProgramFiles Windows Defender MSASCui exe -hide O - HKLM Run hpsysdrv c hp support hpsysdrv exe O - HKLM Run KBD C HP KBD KbdStub EXE O - HKLM Run OsdMaestro quot C Program Files Hewlett-Packard On-Screen OSD Indicator OSD exe quot O - HKLM Run RtHDVCpl RtHDVCpl exe O - HKLM Run HP Health Check Scheduler c Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Health Check HPHC Scheduler exe O - HKLM Run Adobe Reader Speed Launcher quot C Program Files Adobe Reader Reader Reader sl exe quot O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateReg quot C Windows system jureg exe quot O - HKLM Run HP Software Update c Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe O - HKLM Run ccApp quot c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run IS CfgWiz quot c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared OPC D -D C- da - B- D AD AF cltUIStb exe quot MODULE CfgWiz GUID BC D EAF-F - d b-AB D-B D C E MODE CfgWiz CMDLINE quot REBOOT quot O - HKLM Run HostManager C Program Files Common Files AOL ee ... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/computer-randomly-freezes-up-forcing-me-to-do-hard-reboot-303110.html
Relevancy 73.53%

My hard drive light is amber and my computer will not power on. Battery light is white when power cord is plugged in. Ran updates earlier today and now computer will not power on.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/hard-drive-light-is-amber-computer-will-not-boot-on/td-p/5828998
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi everyone

for the last 2 weeks or so my computer has been locking up and freezing with the data light on the computer to go into a solid state of red.

i thought i had fixed it by trying a few other solutions i had found here on the net such as....

1. re-applying thermal paste to CPU
2. removing build up of dust
3. checking ALL connections
4. Re-installing windows
5. checking hard drive for bad sectors (which it found and fixed)

im running...
windows 7 32bit
3gb RAM
ATI HD6870
1 320GB western digital HDD
1 500GB western digital HDD ( which i think is causing the problems but its only a year old and shouldnt be failing now).

so yeaa..thats my problem..reall starting to anger me and im considering building a completley new system but this ones only a year and a half old :/ any help from you guys would be much apriciated

Thanks
Daniel.

A:Hard drive light goes solid red and computer locks up...

It does sound as though the hard drive has failed or is not far off it.

I may be wrong, but I think Western Digital have a five-year no-quibble guarantee on their hard drives so it'll pay you to check with them.

A hard drive can fail at any time so I think you've just been unlucky.

You should try and get any important data off the drive as soon as possible.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/186770-hard-drive-light-goes-solid-red-computer-locks-up.html
Relevancy 72.67%

On my new Netgear 7550 modem+router combination from AT&T, whenever I turn off the computers connected to it, for some reason, the lights stay on.

Specifically, the Ethernet 1 light connected through Ethernet on one computer and the Wireless light connected wirelessly to another computer stay on (solid green) even after both computers are shut down and off.

Is this normal behavior for this specific modem? Or what can I do to fix this?

A:Netgear 7550 Ethernet and Wireless Light Stays On After Computer Shutdown?

the wireless will stay on , i suspect, as all that is saying is that the wireless in the router is on and broadcasting

ethernet 1 light should go out - but pull the cable plug out and see if it goes out and then push back in and see if it comes on
then try the cable in one of the other 2-4 sockets

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/netgear-7550-ethernet-and-wireless-light-stays-on-after-computer-shutdown.1103565/
Relevancy 72.67%

New custom computer running working. cold Hard Randomly Computer to boot New requiring Freezes get windows pro New Computer Randomly Hard Freezes requiring cold boot to get working. with SP I installed the Os and drivers from the Asus motherboard disk on the first day I got it and from the nd day the computer started having random freezes that vary from - times per day The first time was while watching a video after that freezes would occur during virtually anything Sometimes even just from leaving it on without being used These are hard freezes and a hard reboot is the only way to get the computer working again During the freeze the mouse cursor disappears audio stops if on and the keyboard and mouse produce no response whatsoever I can still open the dvd drive but that's it I've dealt with a lot of PC problems over the years using different computers but none like this When I check the Windows event viewer logs there's nothing I've been able to find about what's causing the freezes Just the error message of quot unexpected shutdown quot from me having to do a reboot I have quot WhoCrased quot installed on my computer and that reports nothing about the freezes either My temperatures seem to be fine I have quot CoreTemp quot installed and quot System Information for Windows quot I ran Memtest with no errors I flashed the Bios and there were less freezes for a few days Then they started reoccurring I ran a stress test with no problems I updated all of the drivers from the manufactures website My computer is Intel i rd Generation k Samsung Evo SSD as primary Harddrive Seagate TB HDD for storage an Asus H M-A Motherboard Crucial DDR Ram GB mhz Onboard graphics and Orion watt power supply I can post more specs about my computer In Bios settings it looks like almost everything is set to default and to automatically detect Other troubleshoots I've tried Troubleshoot Went on Intel Asus and Realtek player's site and updated all of the drivers Troubleshoot Checked computer for errors with sfc scannow None were found Troubleshoot Turned off all unnecessary services and start programs Troubleshoot Changed my Power setting to quot High Performance quot Troubleshoot Installed Windows Hotfixes for freezes Troubleshoot Installed all Windows updates Troubleshoot Resat The Ram in a different slot Troubleshoot Tested my Drives with Seagate fitness Troubleshoot Checked and replaced all of the cables connected to the Harddrives and tried different ports I can have the motherboard Cpu or whatever replaced but I'm trying to figure out what's causing the problem first All of the hardware is new As far as the SSD I used it for weeks before getting this computer so I don't think it's that

A:New Computer Randomly Hard Freezes requiring cold boot to get working.

Did you substitute another power supply? Did you reseat all connectors?
Another thing -you say that you Flashed the BIOS and that produced a temporary fix. You might want to contact Asus about the issue based on this alone.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/330901-new-computer-randomly-hard-freezes-requiring-cold-boot-get-working.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hello,
I have a HP G60-443CL Notebook, 64 Bit Vista, lately is been slowed down considerably and the fan is running constantly and the hard drive light is almost constant. When I open an application such as browser, after a bit the hard drive begins to run constantly and slows the computer down to a crawl. The fan is always running loud. I do not notice anything under Task manger that appears to be hogging memory, but I may not know quite how to look more extensively. It has become very annoying and quite a hindrance to my work environment. If I try to run more than one application, everything on the computer just slows down tremendously. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Relevancy 72.67%

Hi everyone

for the last 2 days my computer has been locking up and freezing with the data light on the computer to go into a solid state .
as for the locking up thing i mean it completley locks..mouse doesent move.. CTRL ALT DEL does nothing..only thing i can do is hit the power button untill it shuts off. I'v tried leaving it but the computer was still the same.

im running...
Hp pavilion desktop
windows 7 64bit
4gb RAM
Nvidia Geforce GT 130
500GB samsung HDD ( which i think is causing the problems )

And also i didn't mention to one thing that when I unplug the wire of Pc my BIOS didn't recognize the time and date , I have to change it myself (Not always) just when I unplug the wire .

so please help me with that im getting mad on that

A:Hard drive light goes solid and computer locks up and freeze

You seem to have a couple of issues.

Quote:
And also i didn't mention to one thing that when I unplug the wire of Pc my BIOS didn't recognize the time and date , I have to change it myself (Not always) just when I unplug the wire .

This happens when the CMOS battery is unable to keep enough charge, so when you unplug the PSU power source
+5V Standby Power also drops and clears your CMOS (BIOS).

Quote:
for the last 2 days my computer has been locking up and freezing with the data light on the computer to go into a solid state .
as for the locking up thing i mean it completley locks..mouse doesent move.. CTRL ALT DEL does nothing..only thing i can do is hit the power button untill it shuts off. I'v tried leaving it but the computer was still the same.

Hard Hangs are usually hardware related .
I would start by taking a closer look at the HDD indeed as it is the first culprit that comes to mind.

Testing the HDD:
Perform a Disk Check | Disk Check
Then Post the results following | THIS METHOD
Download SeaTools for Windows if you don't want to use a CD to test the HDD you can use YUMI – Multiboot USB Creator to create a bootable USB (instructions are found at the bottom of both pages).

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/301666-hard-drive-light-goes-solid-computer-locks-up-freeze.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hello,
I am wondering if I am Infected. I have a Compaq Presario SR5110NX.
I am running
Windows Vista Home basic
512 MB SDRAM
the computer is very very slow and the hard drive light never stops blinking. I have run Avast

anti virus and Ad-Aware but the hard drive light never stops and it is still very slow. Could

someone please help me?

Thank you,
rjett

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/329945/hard-drive-light-never-stops-blinking-plus-the-computer-is-really-slow/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi Tonight I had a problem with my laptop It was in sleeping mode and when I open the lid there were no mouse function and no touch screen function So the only thing I could do was to press the power button for seconds to turn it off but it didn't completely because light drive blinking, laptop light button hard and power doe... the screen turn off but the power button light is blinking just like when it is on sleep mode and I'm not sure if the hard drive light was on off or blinking before this hard drive light and power button light blinking, laptop doe... but hard drive light and power button light blinking, laptop doe... now is blinking I press the power button and nothing happen I press it for seconds and nothing happen I even did the HDMI connection to another monitor but both monitors don't show hard drive light and power button light blinking, laptop doe... anything not even recognize that something is connected to the HDMI port in the new monitor There is no sound nothing just the blinking lights What should I do Thanks nbsp PS I'm not sure if it's Windows -bit or -bit It was upgraded from Windows

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/hard-drive-light-and-power-button-light-blinking-laptop/td-p/5593178
Relevancy 72.24%

I'm not sure if this could be spyware related but I decided to post my log here Load Slower. Lot Computer Loading Light Green At Often And A Times My Help! At Stays Things just in case Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows My Computer Loading Light Often Stays At Green At Times And Things Load A Lot Slower. Help! XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS My Computer Loading Light Often Stays At Green At Times And Things Load A Lot Slower. Help! System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exeC Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exeC Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton Utilities NPROTECT My Computer Loading Light Often Stays At Green At Times And Things Load A Lot Slower. Help! EXEC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS System tcpsvcs exeC PROGRA NORTON SPEEDD nopdb exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared Security Center SymWSC exeC WINDOWS system ltmsg exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Program Files Microsoft AntiSpyware gcasServ exeC Program Files Ad Muncher AdMunch exeC Program Files Microsoft AntiSpyware gcasDtServ exeC WINDOWS system devldr exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system wuauclt exeC Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton Utilities SYSDOC EXEC Program Files SpywareGuard sgmain exeC Program Files SpywareGuard sgbhp exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exeC Program Files Messenger msmsgs exeC Documents and Settings Shalin My Documents XPsyklonAeonX HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http www google com ieR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http www google comR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www msn com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www microsoft com isapi redir dll p er ar msnhomeR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http www microsoft com isapi redir dll prd ie ar iesearchR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http www microsoft com isapi redir dll prd ie ar iesearchR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www msn com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default http www google com keyword sO - BHO Yahoo Companion BHO - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn ycomp dllO - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO SpywareGuard Download Protection - A E - F- - B - B DDD DB - C Program Files SpywareGuard dlprotect dllO - BHO CNavExtBho Class - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dllO - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dllO - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn ycomp dllO - HKLM Run LTWinModem ltmsg exe O - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run ccRegVfy quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccRegVfy exe quot O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeO - HKLM Run Symantec NetDriver Monitor C PROGRA SYMNET SNDMon exe ConsumerO - HKLM Run gcasServ quot C Program Files Microsoft AntiSpyware gcasServ exe quot O - HKLM Run Ad Muncher C Program Files Ad Muncher AdMunch exe bt

A:My Computer Loading Light Often Stays At Green At Times And Things Load A Lot Slower. Help!

Is this your complete log? Looks chopped off

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/32484/my-computer-loading-light-often-stays-at-green-at-times-and-things-load-a-lot-slower-help/
Relevancy 71.81%

Not sure whats going on here with mycomputer but hopefully someone can help heres my situation Im running windows with a Nvidia card about g memory tb ssd which windows resides in Samsung and another HD that is barley used but connected and is about gb The freezing is pretty random to me It never happens unless I initiate something By that I mean Freezes/Chkdsk for drive Randomly error RAW Computer not available anything from clicking the search tab to opening or closing an application and anything in between It can happen when other things are running or right Computer Randomly Freezes/Chkdsk not available for RAW drive error after booting up and no extras running From safe mode also but much less My specs should be able to run anything I throw at it so im pretty sure its some type of malware I've ran both Malware bytes anti-malware amp Microsoft security essentials with no threats detected I run MBytes once a week and it is always actively protecting along with MBytes-Anti Exploit also both are premium versions and up to date I've made a repair disk and booted to memory analyze and got no errors and lastly I've tried to use chkdsk from cmd but got the RAW error chkdsk unavailable for RAW drives I've searched on what the cause of this could be but I couldn't find anything where the disk in question was the actual disk that Windows resides in If I got this error on the windows disk shouldn't I not be able to boot up It makes me think some type of malware is trying to stop me from fixing the errors Making the Raw error come up when it actually isn't Raw Please help guys My life is in this computer and I cant get any work done Also it's pretty frustrating

A:Computer Randomly Freezes/Chkdsk not available for RAW drive error

Welcome aboard  Download GSmartControl for Windows and save it to your desktopUnzip the folder to your desktopDouble click gsmartcontrol.exeAllow the program to search for and list your hard drive(s)Double click your driveGo to the PERFORM TESTS tabMake sure that the TEST TYPE is set to SHORT SELF-TESTClick the EXECUTE buttonAfter the test completes, click the VIEW OUTPUT button and copy and paste the contents in your reply 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/586808/computer-randomly-freezeschkdsk-not-available-for-raw-drive-error/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi guys first post I was hoping you could help me out What I have going on is this I ll leave my PC on for a few hours and all of a sudden my PC will lock up The screen s will go black and my mouse and keyboard will stop working Heres a key I have a USB mouse and the lights will go off on the mouse I have hibernation turned off I have screen saver turned off All power seems to stay on the machine but and screens out. and cycles Randomly freezes/power mouse light black goes PC nothing is working and i have to power cycle for it to PC Randomly freezes/power cycles and black screens and mouse light goes out. come back Now I noticed this happening as soon as the air conditioning came on in the house So i went and bought a UPS but that has not fixed the issue I ve monitored my CPU and it s far from over heating I have the log constantly written out to see that I was using Core Temp for that Any PC Randomly freezes/power cycles and black screens and mouse light goes out. thoughts or suggestions My event viewer is empty so i m not sure at this point nbsp

A:PC Randomly freezes/power cycles and black screens and mouse light goes out.

Does this happen ONLY when your AC comes on in the house?

Try running in Safe Mode, does it happen then?

What are the temps..do you have temperature reading software installed? (such as Speedfan)
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-randomly-freezes-power-cycles-and-black-screens-and-mouse-light-goes-out.936586/
Relevancy 70.09%

Windows 10 crashes frequently and randomly. No BSOD no error msgs. Happens about 30 times a day with no rhyme or reason
Please help
Elizabeth

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/625738/windows-10-freezes-frequently-and-randomly-requiring-hard-restart/
Relevancy 70.09%

Recently about weeks ago my computer started freezing It happened times already one of them occurred as I was typing this post I wasn t doing anything in particular just using Firefox to browser the web of the freezings occurred while I was just browsing occurred while my computer was starting up No sites in general either out of the times I froze I was on different sites each time all of them are quot known safe ones quot too Computer randomly freezing(computer shutdown) frozen I until stays like ign com wikipedia etc After the latest freeze during browsing I restarted my computer only for my computer to freeze again after Computer randomly freezing(computer stays frozen until I shutdown) seconds screen stayed the same it happened right after it showed me my memory test Then I restarted my computer again and it froze Computer randomly freezing(computer stays frozen until I shutdown) before anything showed up monitor did not detect anything so the monitor did not show anything Here s what I have done so far I used memtest and done full tests no errors on any tests Did anti-virus and anti-spyware scan on my computer I used Avast Spybot Adaware Checked Windows Event Viewer unfortunately it didn t log anything Here s the last things I did to my computer before I noticed the freezings I downloaded and installed Secunia PSI I downloaded and installed the latest version of WinRAR and Quicktime player recommendations from Secunia I also installed various security patches from microsoft update Besides that nothing in particular Also I noticed when my computer freezes my keyboard s quot Num Lock quot quot Caps Lock quot and quot Scroll Lock quot keys do not function I m not sure if when the computer freezes those keys can be activated on off or not I m just pointing this out in case you should be able to activate those keys in the event of a computer freeze Just wondering My optical mouse still lights up when the computer freezes though Any the questions are Does anyone know of any programs that ll help me figure out why my computer is freezing Like what about programs that check certain hardware besides RAM since I used memtest already that may cause freezes Does anyone have any idea on what may be causing this Anyone have any suggestions on what to do to figure this out Any help will be appreciated thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 70.09%

What happens is the screen goes black and I get a randomly computer out but stays Screen blacks on quot no signal quot for a split Screen blacks out randomly but computer stays on second then it just goes back to black When this happens the fan gets loud The computer doesn t turn off or anything it just stays loud with a black display When it happens I turn it off and turn it back on and it ll work for a while This happened about times st time Looking at steam sales nd time Looking at steam sales min after the st time then a rd time about an hour later after watching some videos without steam opened because up to this point it only happened with it opened so i didn t open it this time I had a video opened while I opened a game and it happened instantly as I double clicked the game I turned it back on and opened the game to test it and it didn t happen like it did before The temperatures seem to be nowhere near high I m assuming it s a video card problem Could it be anything else nbsp

A:Screen blacks out randomly but computer stays on

I would certainly start with the video card. Check to see if it is working properly. You could check for updates for your driver and there is a possibility that it just may need replaced but start there and remember to write back as to what happened.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/screen-blacks-out-randomly-but-computer-stays-on.1104031/
Relevancy 69.23%

My computer will randomly just shut down comletely. It will just turn off, no shutdown process. Just desktop then black screen and everything off.
It doesnt matter what I am doing at the time it just happens sporadically. Stays on for a minute or two, or ten or a bit longer then just turns off again. Once today is was on for about 45 minutes and then bang off again. Been doing this for about a week. Already tried system restore. What should I do?

Thanks All!

A:Computer all the sudden shuts down randomly (stays on about 5-10 mins)

Have you tried cleaning the inside? Dust can choke and cause this.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/394739/computer-all-the-sudden-shuts-down-randomly-stays-on-about-5-10-mins/
Relevancy 69.23%

This isnt related to any of my other posts, this is a different computer with different problem, so I made a new post.

My computer will randomly just shut down comletely. It will just turn off, no shutdown process. Just desktop then black screen and everything off.
It doesnt matter what I am doing at the time it just happens sporadically. Stays on for a minute or two, or ten or a bit longer then just turns off again. Once today is was on for about 45 minutes and then bang off again. Been doing this for about a week. Already tried system restore. What should I do?

Thanks All!

A:Computer all the sudden shuts down randomly (stays on about 5-10 mins)

Hi please post the make and model of the computer or if a custom build the motherboard make and model the ram,cpu, psu

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/computer-all-the-sudden-shuts-down-randomly-stays-on-about-5-10-mins-570514.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello Floppy Stays Drive Cylinder - while Can - Light Spins help? "On", you everyone I am pretty good with computers and stuff but I have been having a problem now for a few months trying to boot up an old -DX HMz computer It is a hack computer with rogue parts making it up It used to work great when I set it up for my little sister to do school work on but now it is goofed up Real bad Its gutted right now just a motherboard and power supply etc I have seperate Winbond IDE controller cards one of which I just picked up tonight while getting a brand new Flopp Disk drive A few of the primary specs of the new controller are Winbond IDE Floppy Controller Winbond Chip - W P Data Technology Chips DTC VL and DTC- The old card is an almost exact duplicate differing in that it offers two IDE pinouts rather than one I have been thru the BIOS extensively and it should realistically be working just fine Floppy Drive - Light Stays "On", while Cylinder Spins - Can you help? with the specifics entered It is an AMIBIOS model Specs as follows AMI Vesa Green Bios v B Processor gives a screen output of i DX - MHZ CPU Ok so heres the problem if you have made it this far thanks I am trying to get this thing up and running again I know the motherboard is in good shape and I have a good idea that my IDE cards are as well When I turn it on however the Drive Light stays on and the cylinder rotates to no end I have a brand new Dick Drive and am getting the same problems If I switch the input of the Floppy Cable flip it around the drive stays idle as if it has no power The light never tunrs on and the cylinder does not move either I need to get this going I need to get the floppy going to install Windows over everything and so far I am stuck I hope someone will be able to relate to my problem and send me some poitive information back Someone please tell me my Disk Drive wasnt in vain Thanks to everyone who reads this and thanks in advance to anyone who can help nbsp

A:Floppy Drive - Light Stays "On", while Cylinder Spins - Can you help?

Alright, Id like to thank absolutely nobody for even looking at my thread! However, as usual, I have used the awesome power of my incredible brain, and found my own answer to my first question.
Now I have a second. I am using an old as f-uck floppy cable. So old that in fact, it has the card slots for 5 and a half inch Drives. The slots are throwing off my BIOS, automatically taking the place of Drive A. In turn, i must assign my Floppy to Drive B.

My BIOS Options do not have the possibility of setting a boot sequence for B, C or B, A, C or anything else. Only A, C or C, A.

I doubt any of you would know, but can I get away with cutting off the old card slots on the cable? Since noone has posted any replies to my last question, and from what I have gathered from scouting old posts, I assume noone knows. Im probably dealing with some amateur-at-best class programmers.

I know someone on here has to be Nerd enough to know. And Nerds not an insult, so dont go gettin all uppity, please. Im plenty freakin Nerd myself!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/floppy-drive-light-stays-on-while-cylinder-spins-can-you-help.93394/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi I (details Computer minutes shuts down few for down and stays a included) randomly have a VPR Matrix PC Computer randomly shuts down and stays down for a few minutes (details included) circa P ram XP SP It s been running fine since I bought it stored in a cool dry basement until today I hadn t used it in about two weeks out of town I plugged in a Creative MIDI USB keyboard installed the drivers and started using it suddenly my computer shut down and wouldn t come back on I had to manually unplug it flip the on off switch and then press the power button This keeps repeating sometimes it immediately comes back but other times it stays down until I manually reset the power switch and boot it back up I ve since unplugged and uninstalled that keyboard after also trying to move it to other USB slots but still the problem keeps occurring I don t think this keyboard could have crippled my system Right Is this pattern of random shut downs and staying down characteristic of any particular device failure My PC doesn t connect to the Internet I use it strictly for recording so I m ruling out malware viruses though I did do a scan and nothing came up The computer is years old but worked fine until today after two weeks of non-use Any ideas at all Thanks I can post any other details you may need nbsp

A:Computer randomly shuts down and stays down for a few minutes (details included)

I would suggest uninstalling the usb keyboard and would use a NON usb keyboard and see if the issue continues. Then you would know it wasn't your new keyboard related. You may have a short in the usb interface.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-randomly-shuts-down-and-stays-down-for-a-few-minutes-details-included.742382/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi I have a VPR Matrix PC circa P ram XP SP It's been running fine since I bought it stored in a cool dry basement until today I hadn't used it in about two stays down Computer a down shuts (details randomly few included) for minutes and weeks out of town I plugged in a Creative MIDI USB keyboard installed the drivers and started using it suddenly my computer shut Computer randomly shuts down and stays down for a few minutes (details included) down and wouldn't come back on I had to manually unplug it flip the on off switch and then press the power button This keeps repeating sometimes it immediately comes back but other times it stays down until I manually reset the power switch and boot it back up I've since unplugged and uninstalled that keyboard after also trying to move it to other USB slots but still the problem keeps occurring I don't think this keyboard could have crippled my system Right Is this pattern of random shut downs and staying down characteristic of any particular device failure My PC doesn't connect to the Internet I use it strictly for recording so I'm ruling out malware viruses though I did do a scan and nothing came up The computer is years old but worked fine until today after two weeks of non-use Any ideas at all Thanks I can post any other details you may need

A:Computer randomly shuts down and stays down for a few minutes (details included)

Hi ACAx1985,

Have you had the same power supply for the past 5 years also? Even if it is and has always been fine, they can die at will. Have you tried to swap out the power supply with another one to rule this out?

Also, and this is a bit of a long shot. Have you tried to completely uninstall the new keyboard drivers and use your old one (or someone else's) to rule out the posibility of the new drivers being corrupt? (check to see if there are any updated drivers on the manufacturers site)

*update* Does your machine give you/ make any warning beeps during start-up or just before it crashes? Also, when was the last time you gave your computer a clean out? (dust etc)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-randomly-shuts-down-and-stays-down-for-a-few-minutes-details-included-283214.html
Relevancy 68.37%

My laptop keeps freezing and stay frozen I have windows We thought it was the browser i was using but now i am sure it is not since the computer now freezes after start up i can only use the computer on safe mode now for about five minutes then it freezes again i think its a memory issue i keep getting memory usage is high when i am watching you tube videos or playing apps on facebook but now it just freezes right after start up as freezes stays frozen. computer and soon as i click on anything here is a hi jack this log thank computer freezes and stays frozen. you P S computer freezes and stays frozen. the computer also freezes in save mode I have tried running malwarebytes but it freezes during the scan i have ran msconfig and left only avg running Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Safe mode with network support Running processes C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files computer freezes and stays frozen. x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Users Nefarious Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http g msn com HPNOT R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http g msn com HPNOT R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http g msn com HPNOT R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C Windows SysWOW blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook no name - ba e- - -b f - e d cc - no file F - REG system ini UserInit userinit exe O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO Increase performance and video formats for your HTML lt video gt - E D- - FD- C - A F - C Program Files x DivX DivX Plus Web Player ie DivXHTML DivXHTML dll O - BHO WormRadar com IESiteBlocker NavFilter - CA F - F E- B -A E- E E C C - C Program Files x AVG AVG avgssie dll O - BHO Search Helper - EBF - F- bff-A F-B E AAC B - C Program Files x Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack Search Helper SEPsearchhelperie dll O - BHO Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files x Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - AE CD -E - f- - EE - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dll O - BHO Bing Bar BHO - d ce e -f a- - e- dc f c f - C Program Files x MSN Toolbar Platform npwinext dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO SmartSelect - F EE -DAA - - - D EE A - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dll O - Toolbar C Program Files x MSN Toolbar Platform npwinext dll - - dcb -df - - - fa b f - C Program Files x MSN Toolbar Platform npwinext dll O - Toolbar Adobe PDF - -D C - - FA - E EAAC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dll O - HKLM Run AVG TRAY quot C Program Files x AVG AVG avgtray exe quot O - HKCU Run SUPERAntiSpyware C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exe O - HKUS S- - - Run Sidebar ProgramFiles Windows Sidebar Sidebar exe autoRun User LOCAL SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce mctadmin C Windows System mctadmin exe User LOCAL SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - Run Sidebar ProgramFiles Windows Sidebar Sidebar exe autoRun User NETWORK... Read more

A:computer freezes and stays frozen.

here is the dds log.. forgot you guys need this. cant post gmer log since im not running a 32 bit system

DDS (Ver_2011-08-26.01) - NTFSAMD64
Internet Explorer: 8.0.7601.17514 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_29
Run by Nefarious at 11:44:38 on 2011-12-26
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1.7601.1.1252.1.1033.18.2811.1542 [GMT -8:00]
AV: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012 *Enabled/Updated* {5A2746B1-DEE9-F85A-FBCD-ADB11639C5F0}
SP: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012 *Enabled/Updated* {E146A755-F8D3-F7D4-C17D-96C36DBE8F4D}
SP: Windows Defender *Disabled/Updated* {D68DDC3A-831F-4fae-9E44-DA132C1ACF46}
============== Running Processes ===============
C:\PROGRA~2\AVG\AVG2012\avgrsa.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\avgcsrva.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wininit.exe
C:\Windows\system32\lsm.exe
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k DcomLaunch
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k RPCSS
C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalService
C:\Windows\system32\atieclxx.exe
C:\Windows\system32\atibtmon.exe
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k NetworkService
C:\Windows\system32\WLANExt.exe
C:\Windows\system32\conhost.exe
C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation
C:\Windows\system32\taskhost.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\AERTSr64.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\CinemaNow\CinemaNow Media Manager\CinemanowSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtkNGUI64.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell AIO Printer A940\DLBAmon.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Connectify\Connectify.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPHelper.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR\WNA3100\WNA3100.exe
C:\Users\Nefarious\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\MagicDisc\MagicDisc.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSN Toolbar\Platform\5.0.1438.0\mswinext.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\PowerISO\PWRISOVM.EXE
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch\HPMSGSVC.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\DivX\DivX Update\DivXUpdate.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\Nero 10\Nero BackItUp\NBAgent.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\avgnsa.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HPAdvisor.exe
C:\Windows\system32\dlbacoms.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch\HPWMISVC.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Norton Online Backup\NOBuAgent.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\SeaPort\SeaPort.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client\sftvsa.exe
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSVC.EXE
C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR\WNA3100\WifiSvc.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client\sftlist.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSvcM.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\AVGIDSAgent.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Virtualization Handler\CVHSVC.EXE
C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\avgemca.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Searc... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-freezes-and-stays-frozen.1032959/
Relevancy 68.37%

I have a Lenovo P Touch running Windows Hello first time post When conducting normal computer activities like booting connecting to a network surfing the web etc my computer will completely lock up sometimes for hours on end up/reboots - hard drive? Computer randomly be locks could the it Sometimes it will fail to boot saying something to the effect of quot checked media - failed quot or it will stick on the Lenovo load screen indefinitely These problems first began after upgrading to Windows though this is likely a coincidence I Computer randomly locks up/reboots - could it be the hard drive? reset the system back to Windows which solved the issues temporarily though they came back after about a week Thinking I may have had a virus I downloaded MalwareBytes and ran a scan and nothing came up I also ran Norton Power eraser and again no issues Turning next to the Computer randomly locks up/reboots - could it be the hard drive? hard drive I downloaded Seatools for Computer randomly locks up/reboots - could it be the hard drive? Windows The computer will sometimes fail the SMART diagnostic usually fail the Short Diagnostic Self Test and always fail the Short Generic test always with the code C AC A I know this means that the diagnostic couldn t find the drive s serial number but I have no idea what that actually means Is the hard drive failing or does the problem lie elsewhere Thank you in advance nbsp

A:Computer randomly locks up/reboots - could it be the hard drive?

Hello, a healthy drive will never fail any of these diagnostics. So it looks like you found your culprit.
Backup your data asap and replace the drive. Good excuse for moving to an SSD? Just saying...
Good luck and best regards
The Cleaver

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-randomly-locks-up-reboots-could-it-be-the-hard-drive.1131458/
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi a few days ago i downloaded a file from limewire and when i opened it the real time protection from my antivirus program said it had found a w alcra f virus in it I deleted the downloaded file but ever since then the computer seems to have gotten slower The hard disk activity light orange keeps flashing even when i don't have any programs or downloads going on The lights on my adsl modem also keep flashing The antivirus program that found the w alcra f was the Symantec Corporate Edition I ran a few scans afterwards but it didn't find anything I then ran AdAware and found a fare bit of Hard PC, light disk activity randomly blinking Jittery spyware The thing is though I ran it again about five minutes later and it found more again THe spyware keeps regenerating itself I then downloaded AVG and ran a scan Jittery PC, Hard disk activity light randomly blinking It immediately found two backdoor hupigon AHGM viruses There doesn't seem to be much information about that virus and it only seems to be detected by Jittery PC, Hard disk activity light randomly blinking AVG and nothing Jittery PC, Hard disk activity light randomly blinking else Sorry about the long post but I'm quite worried since this computer has been absolutely fine until now Here's the Hijackthis log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgamsvr exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgupsvc exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Symantec Client Security Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C Program Files Symantec Client Security Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Analog Devices Core smax pnp exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX Smax exe C PROGRA SYMANT SYMANT vptray exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD PDVDServ exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files DVICO FusionHDTV FusionHdtvTray exe C Program Files DVICO FusionHDTV Remote FusionRc exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Canon CAL CALMAIN exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqimzone exe C PROGRA MOZILL FIREFOX EXE C Program Files Windows Live Messenger usnsvc exe C Program Files Windows Live Messenger msnmsgr exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http runonce msn com v msgrv R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Winamp Toolbar BHO - CEE EC- - bc- B - DDC AB C - C Program Files Winamp Toolbar winamptb dll O - BHO dsWebAllowBHO Class - F D C- - F-A - E BD E - C Program Files Windows Desktop Search dsWebAllow dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - AF DE - D ... Read more

A:Jittery PC, Hard disk activity light randomly blinking

By the way, when I ran Adaware in safe mode, it didn't find anything, so I'm thinking the modem lights flashing is the computer downloading the spyware, am I right? Please help!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/jittery-pc-hard-disk-activity-light-randomly-blinking-241642.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Hello,
Ive been searching for a problem thats bothered me for quiet a while and i just cant seem to fix it, My problem is that when im using my computer it will randomly freeze whether im watching youtube videos, browsing the net or just playing games (Starcraft 2, League of Legends) ive reinstalled windows 7, ive tried updating my drivers but it just wont go away, so when it freezes it just stays at the screen it froze at and the sound is like looping and it does not go to a bluescreen or reboot i have to hold the power down.

Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate
6GB DDR3 Memory
AMD Athlon II X4 610e quad-core processor
1TB HDD
AMD Radeon HD 6570 1024MB

A:Windows 7 Computer Freezes Randomly

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:
Click Start Menu
Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
Expand Custom Views
Click Administrative Events
Right click Administrative Events
Save all Events in Custom View As...
Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
Upload the .zip file here.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/224707-windows-7-computer-freezes-randomly.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi I ve just about had it I am running a Dell Dimension with Windows XP SP I experienced no major issues until August of I first became aware of the little game my PC was playing after installing the Shockwave Flash update Initially freezes, red green I lose light. my and freezes PC audio streaming My light, the problem presented as a white screen when attempting to watch Hulu in full screen A short time after I began experiencing audio drops while both streaming music via Pandora or while engaged in conversation via the VOIP non video side of Skype I don t recall how but the full screen white screen issue disappeared The problems remaining however have proved more frustrating Present day I still experience the audio problems For red light, green light. My PC freezes, I lose audio and my streaming freezes example while talking on Skype to either a landline or cell phone user I will often but not always hear a little pop and the audio will go out The lone remedy I have found is to close the skype window and fully Quit the program Upon which I will promptly hear another pop signifying that audio functionality has resumed While streaming video whether from Hulu Netflix especially or an embedded YouTube on Facebook video will play for a few moments or minutes and then will cease freezing the frame currently showing For the sites red light, green light. My PC freezes, I lose audio and my streaming freezes utilizing Flash the remedy has been Disabling then re-enabling the Shockwave Flash Add-On in Firefox In effort to determine whether this was a Firefox issue I installed Google Chrome and then Internet Explorer this week only to find the same issues present Further I am now experiencing an intermittent out of virtual memory error Running Firefox the other day I did notice something that I am hopeful may be insight to finding a solution to this crap I noticed that if I opened multiple tabs and streamed a movie via Netflix but worked actively in a different tab that the movie streamed flawlessly However within minutes of selecting the Netflix tab putting my hands in lap and chilling the video stream would come to a screaching halt this whether in full screen or while playing inside the browser As well I opened Task Manager and observed time and again that System Idle would jump to at nearly the precise moment that the video would freeze At this point I have had more than enough It s not a Firefox problem as proved by a recreation of the problem in Explorer and Chrome It s not my Drivers i ve updated those It s not Flash as evidenced by the issues Silverlight running Netflix So my question folks is what red light, green light. My PC freezes, I lose audio and my streaming freezes the bleep is it And most importantly how can I make this stop GettingMadInTx

A:red light, green light. My PC freezes, I lose audio and my streaming freezes

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.Publish a Snapshot using SpeccyThe below is for those who cannot get onlinePlease take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/375182/red-light-green-light-my-pc-freezes-i-lose-audio-and-my-streaming-freezes/
Relevancy 66.65%

My hard drive sometimes shuts off after the computer has been on for a long time (about 4 hours). Everything else like the fans remains on. Can anyone explain possible causes? Also i need a way to read minidumps because when I open them i get a whole load of wierd symbols... anyone know a program?

A:My Hard drive keeps shutting off but everything else stays on

Sounds to me like your Hard drive is dying, how old is it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-hard-drive-keeps-shutting-off-but-everything-else-stays-on.45149/
Relevancy 66.65%

Went to logon to a laptop yesterday Dell D and have used stays Drive hijacked has - it? on something Hard for almost years and after windows XP sp booted noticed the hard drive light stayed on solid green have a Dell D after a few minutes nothing would load and Hard Drive stays on - something has hijacked it? seemed like the laptop was quot locked quot Hard drive never shut off and could not get it to respond to anything Have tried to run various tools in safe mode and in normal mode but performance is about at best Click on something and wait Hard Drive stays on - something has hijacked it? a few minutes for response if it comes back Have tried to get to task manager and everytime there it shows the CPU does not show activity just the hard drive is showing quot active quot The system idle process is the only thing using memory Just after a restart have to pull the battery to get Laptop to shut down or reboot their is a brief window of about - minutes when a tool or utility will run but then it just bogs down Tried running AVG in normal windows mode and ran for hours and got just about to done and still had not found anything Also ran hard drive utility western digital quick check last night to make sure it was okay and what normally takes a couple minutes took almost hours then I interruptted it I have used many of the freeware tools on the laptop in the past - adaware spybot and avg Someonme suggested a windows restore and tried to start that a little bit ago Can try to run utilities suggested but concerned they will have the same trouble as all other programs to this point may take days to run have tried to get advice from some other friends but this is only forum posted this on

A:Hard Drive stays on - something has hijacked it?

Hi,

Hi,

Welcome to TSF,

Please follow all the guidelines in THIS THREAD and post the logs back for review.

Please Do Not start a new thread, please post everything back to here.

If you are unable to complete the procedure, please let me know.

Thanks.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/hard-drive-stays-on-something-has-hijacked-it-597910.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I'm new here so here goes. I have a 1TB WD external hard drive here (USB 3.0) but it recently stopped working. The light blinks every half second. I try to access it with Explorer or 7-zip but they freeze, YET when i unplug the drive everything instantly comes back to normal and Explorer works fine again. I tried WD's Data Lifeguard, same problem. I tried other recovery software, same problem. Tried many USB cables and at least 3 computers, but I've encountered the same problem. What do I do? Should I just look for professional services? (I use Windows 7 Ultimate.)

A:WD external hard drive freezes my computer

sounds like a fault on the WD external harddrive thats causing an issue on the PC
i would get it replaced under the warranty , not sure how long the warranty is - but most drives come with more than 1 year.
the issue maybe getting data off the drive, if its the case thats broken, as some of the WD drives with encrypted using a chip thats on the Case USB circuitry
http://www.prosofteng.com/blog/western-digital-hardware-encryption/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wd-external-hard-drive-freezes-my-computer.1134077/
Relevancy 65.79%

I have an external hard drive that I bought off of eBay about two years stays External - Hard LED Drive Orange or so ago and I am having trouble with it On the case of the hard drive it says quot Rock Mobile Disk quot When you take the protective case off it says Manufactured by Magnetic Data Technologies Drive Parameters RPM ATA MB BUF VDC VDC MDL MD -BABW DATE APR Back when it was working properly you would turn it on and the LED light would go from Orange to Green A while External Hard Drive - LED stays Orange ago I would turn it on and it would stay orange for a few minutes and then turn green now it seems as if it will not turn to green anymore Does this sound like there is a unfixable problem I would have no problem buying a new one or anything like that except I used my external hard drive to house my music which is in the thousands in quantity So I would like to do everything I can to try to resolve this problem Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 65.79%

I bought an HP v w GB USB flash drive off of Amazon and when I plugged it into my USB port and tried to transfer files to it my computer froze and I had to hold the power button to shut it down This happens every time I try to access the flash drive Additionally I have other external hard drives that has always Drive Accessed Computer External Hard is Freezes When worked for me for years and now those too are freezing my computer when I try to access them It seems like the HP flash drive affected my computer in such a way that it is preventing other devices from working properly I have gone into Device Manager and uninstalled the USB Host drivers and restarted my computer That did not solve the problem I have tried using different USB ports on my computer and that has not made a difference I have tried uninstalling the drivers for the individual external hard drives and then have them be reinstalled the next time I plug them in That has not worked For some reason though when I connect my old external hard drives through a powered USB hub I do not experience the freezing What sucks is that I think my USB Hub is USB so it takes forever for anything to transfer Every time I plug in the HP flash drive into the USB Hub I get a message saying the driver could not be properly loaded or that I don't have access to the drive et cetera I am pretty sure the HP flash drive is no good and needs to be returned but does anyone know what I can do to prevent my old external hard drives from freezing my computer without the use of a USB hub

A:Computer Freezes When External Hard Drive is Accessed

Hello and welcome Ben mate a little more specs would help mate because to see what speed USB the machine supports we need at least the model and more inportnatly the motherboard.
Use this to find those details out.
Using HW Info
You can test the volts on the PSU with HW Info HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download < download the right bit version and close the right hand window select Sensors and scroll down to the power section where you will see what the volts are doing see my pic.
The original right hand window shows the machine running and is handy for that but for looking at the components in some detail close it and use the main left hand side panel
FOR OTHER COMPONENTS
Open each + down into the component itself and then click on it - in the right hand side will appear all sorts of details including brands speeds and other essential info that device. See pic for example.
Use the lower part and find the model of the motherboard please.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/364179-computer-freezes-when-external-hard-drive-accessed.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi, I got two 40Gb hard drives on my system (C and E). I had a problem with drive E which is the secondary drive. The error was: "The file or directory E:\ is corrupt and unreadable". I managed to recover all the data from the drive and then formatted it. But now when i try to copy some data from the drive C into it, the computer freezes for a little while every 1 second more or less as data is being transferred. Any idea?
Thank you in advance for your help.
jhsa

Relevancy 65.79%

It Stops Drive Computer Spinning Freezes/Hard all started when I was running Pro Tools on my computer I was using a lot of CPU not more than normal and suddenly my computer froze The keyboard mouse were useless so I had to restart But after restarting the hard drive was not recognized by my motherboard In fact my motherboard barely could boot up the bios I couldn t access the bios Computer Freezes/Hard Drive Stops Spinning Eventually I let it sit for a couple of hours and when I restarted I could boot up and as soon as Windows loaded I got the blue screen of death So months later and multiple dead ends the ending is the same the computer freezes and then the HD stops spinning I tried another hard drive installed Computer Freezes/Hard Drive Stops Spinning Vista got the blue screen once but it seems to work ok Granted I haven t run any programs that require a lot of memory All my sticks of RAM work I tried updating drivers and that didn t solve it I removed my video card so now am using the on board video card I disabled the sound card just in case what am I missing Um anyone have any suggestions Is this a software or hardware glitch Could it be my power supply The power supply fan is running and so is the CPU fan The case has been off since this happened so plently of air flow I think the case temperature said - degrees F The bios is loaded as FAIL SAFE defaults I ve had the computer for years and never had a problem I know Vista can be unstable but I didn t download any updates since last year I did try to run the windows memory diagnostic and it said I had a hardware problem and didn t get past on the first test I had run it about a month ago and everything passed My computer is Gigabyte GA-G M-DS R S Intel Pentium Core Quad WD raptor GB GB of RAM anything else you need nbsp

Relevancy 65.79%

Computer Specs -Manufacturer Cyberpower -Windows Home bit Service Pack Legal copy -Gigabyte socket motherboard unknown model -Intel Core i ghz water cooled by Corsair H -EVGA Nvidia GTX gb - gb Kingston ram specifications and speed unknown - watt Corsair power supply I don't know the other specs but it's brand new and definitely meets the requirements for all of my components - case fans in push pull setup all mm and cfm My Problem I have problems with my computer both of which require me to hold the power button down for seconds to hard reboot and I wait seconds before turning it back on because I heard that was good Computer issue) AND randomly (Hardware signal randomly freezes loses somewhere My computer either A randomly loses signal to the monitor resulting in the monitor going to sleep while my computer is still on When this happens audio from iTunes continues to play normally but I cannot pause it or control the volume which I can usually do from my keyboard This leads me to believe that I have absolutely no Computer randomly freezes AND randomly loses signal (Hardware issue) control over my computer when my computer loses signal with the monitor This can happen at any time when I'm playing a videogame browsing the internet or when the computer is locked and I'm not using it at all B randomly freezes This locks up the computer completely and I am unable to move my mouse or control anything I don't know if audio continues to play because this hasn't occurred while I've been listening to something on iTunes yet This can happen at any time and has even happened before the computer has turned on during the black windows screen before I was prompted to type my password What I know -This is most likely a hardware issue because these issues have been going on since the beginning of the year and I have had multiple reformats since then and have tried to resolve the issue by replacing drivers uninstalling random software and going back to previous versions of patches and drivers before these issues started -This is not an issue with the power supply It has been recently replaced and I have had these issues before and after replacing the power supply -This is not an issue with the RAM same situation as the power supply -This is not an issue with heat because my case has superb air flow and the highest temperature I've seen my CPU at is C while playing a videogame called Guild Wars according to Real Temp -the water cooler has not been leaking What I think -This issue started around the time my power would randomly cut off because of thunderstorms which I think damaged either my Motherboard CPU or Graphics Card could some other part be causing this issue Which do you guys is most likely the problem Could a damaged hard drive possibly be the cause of my problems I'm planning to replace either my motherboard or cpu soon though I think it's most likely caused by the gigabyte motherboard every gigabyte socket motherboard I've seen has gotten terrible reviews on newegg

A:Computer randomly freezes AND randomly loses signal (Hardware issue)

This is my motherboard
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1156 - GA-P55M-UD2 (rev. 1.0)
though I'm not sure if mine is rev 1.0 or rev 1.1

I'm hoping that the issue isn't the CPU, Graphics Card, or Hard Drive, as those would cost me the most trouble / money.

Could it be an issue with the BIOS? I don't really know what that is or how it works.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/computer-randomly-freezes-and-randomly-loses-signal-hardware-issue-599199.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Myself along with a couple to forced Freezes Computer and keeps freezing randomly, restart randomly of other people on this forum have been experiencing the exact same problem I also found some other people on other virus help forums who have the same problem as well This new virus seems to be spreading and no one seems to know what to do about it It just started during the beginning of April The main problem is that my computer just keeps Computer keeps freezing randomly, Freezes randomly and forced to restart randomly freezing It can happen every - minutes or even up to an hour The computer just freezes and you can t do anything except for seeing your mouse move around Ctrl alt delete does nothing at all either It just locks up and you are forced to manually turn off the computer and restart it It is extremely frustrating It all started during the beginning of April where my computer restarted on its own then it just started freezing up I ran several anti virus programs spy ware removal programs and an AVG scan and could find nothing of any relevance I even had a technician come to my house and he couldn t find anything He thinks that it s the memory or ram but I highly doubt that my laptop is only like years old Any help would be greatly appreciated This is a new virus I believe and it is driving me insane thank you I have ran a Malware Antimalware Bites scan AVG Ad Aware Spybot and SUPERAntiSpyware scans all found nothing Here is my Hijackthis log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWService exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Apoint Apoint exe C Program Files Intel Wireless bin ZCfgSvc exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EOUWiz exe C Program Files Protector Suite QL menusw exe C Program Files Sony SmartWi Connection Utility WCULauncher exe C Program Files Sony VAIO Camera Utility VCUServe exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ACS AOLAcsd exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWTray exe C Program Files Common Files AOL TopSpeed aoltsmon exe C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exe C Program Files Apoint Apntex exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Toshiba Bluetooth Toshiba Stack TosBtMng exe C Program Files Microsoft SQL Server MSSQL MICROSOFTBCM Binn sqlservr exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exe C Program Files Toshiba Bluetooth Toshiba Stack TosA dp exe C Program Files Toshiba Bluetooth Toshiba Stack TosBtHid exe C Program Files Toshiba Bluetooth Toshiba Stack TosBtBty exe C Program Files Toshiba Bluetooth Toshiba Stack TosBtHsp exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgnsx exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C Program Files Sony VAIO Event Service VESMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VCSW VCSW exe C Program Files Toshiba Bluetooth Toshiba Stack tosOBEX exe C Program Files Viewpoint Common ViewpointService exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VzCdb VzCdbSvc exe C Program Files Toshiba Bluetooth Toshiba Stack tosBtProc exe C Program Files Sony SmartWi Connection Utility SmartWiService exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqSTE exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging Product Assistant bin hprblog exe C Prog... Read more

A:Computer keeps freezing randomly, Freezes randomly and forced to restart

Hello and welcome to TSF.

HijackThis is no longer the preferred initial analysis tool in this forum

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link given below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:

Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps

link at the top of each page.

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/computer-keeps-freezing-randomly-freezes-randomly-and-forced-to-restart-363786.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I had originally posted this issue on this forum but it was moved to the "Am I infected? What do I do?" forum.  We ran ESET online scanner, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, AdwCleaner, and Junkware Removal Tool.  We deleted or disabled start up items and scheduled tasks but computer still freezes up.  Only a reboot gets it going again.  Task Manager shows "Disk"  stuck at 100%.  There is 40 gigs space left on the drive.  It was recommended that I start a new topic on this forum.  We did find a suspicious file ... conime.exe, but I could not locate it to submit it to www.virustotal.com for evaluation.  Not sure if it is important or not but the on-screen keyboard keeps popping up. Stays gone for a while after closing but pops up again after a few minutes or whenever I open a different app. I ran FRST.  The files are attached.

A:computer freezes until reboot. Hard drive stuck at 100% but 40 Gig free space

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.===Press the windows key + r on your keyboard at the same time. This will open the RUN BOX.Type Notepad and and click the OK key.Please copy the entire contents of the code box below to the a new file. 
start

CreateRestorePoint:
EmptyTemp:
CloseProcesses:

FF DefaultSearchEngine: Google (avast)
FF SelectedSearchEngine: Google (avast)
FF Homepage: hxxps://www.google.com/?trackid=sp-006
FF Keyword.URL: hxxps://www.google.com/search/?trackid=sp-006
FF DefaultSearchUrl: hxxps://www.google.com/search/?trackid=sp-006
FF SearchEngineOrder.1: Google (avast)
FF NewTab: about:newtab
FF SearchPlugin: C:\Users\Heather\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\o1visahr.default\searchplugins\google-avast.xml [2015-09-30]
CHR Plugin: (Widevine Content Decryption Module) - C:\Users\Heather\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\WidevineCDM\1.4.7.771\_platform_specific\win_x86\widevinecdmadapter.dll => No File
CHR Plugin: (Chrome PDF Viewer) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\47.0.2526.106\pdf.dll => No File
CHR Plugin: (Adobe Acrobat) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\AIR\nppdf32.dll => No File
CHR Plugin: (Google Update) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\1.3.26.9\npGoogleUpdate3.dll => No File
CHR Plugin: (Java Deployment Toolkit 8.0.250.18) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_25\bin\dtplugin\npDeployJava1.dll => No File
CHR Plugin: (Java(TM) Platform SE 8 U25) - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_25\bin\plugin2\npjp2.dll => No File
CHR Plugin: (Windows Activation Technologies) - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\npWatWeb.dll => No File
CHR Extension: (Avast Online Security) - C:\Users\Heather\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\gomekmidlodglbbmalcneegieacbdmki [2015-11-24]
CHR HKLM-x32\...\Chrome\Extension: [gomekmidlodglbbmalcneegieacbdmki] - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\WebRep\Chrome\aswWebRepChrome.crx [2015-07-02]
U3 idsvc; no ImagePath
CustomCLSID: HKU\S-1-5-21-186936371-685096657-845075952-1000_Classes\CLSID\{0215A4C0-5431-4FD0-9B06-46589B5C4939}\InprocServer32 -> axdb.dll => No File
CustomCLSID: HKU\S-1-5-21-186936371-685096657-845075952-1000_Classes\CLSID\{048ED0E0-12CF-4C0F-9FFA-947C2FBE8C8E}\InprocServer32 -> axdb.dll => No File
CustomCLSID: HKU\S-1-5-21-186936371-685096657-845075952-1000_Classes\CLSID\{071339A1-1946-44B2-B63E-50459B15DB86}\InprocServer32 -> axdb.dll => No File
CustomCLSID: HKU\S-1-5-21-186936371-685096657-845075952-1000_Classes\CLSID\{08A60FF7-BB37-44F4-9759-0ADA6C7B9CC9}\InprocServer32 -> axdb.dll => No File
CustomCLSID: HKU\S-1-5-21-186936371-685096657-845075952-1000_Classes\CLSID\{0B38CACA-3D3C-48EA-BEB5-7D95F4F6EE15}\InprocServer32 -> axdb.dll => No File
CustomCLSID: HKU\S-1-5-21-186936371-685096657-845075952-1000_Classes\CLSID\{0C3393F8-94F5-4B79-8C01-49A2D0CC0FE9}\InprocServer32 -> axdb.dll => No File
CustomCLSID: HKU\S-1-5-21-186936371-685096657-845075952-1000_Classes\CLSID\{0D555CE0-304A-47A6-858B-B145209A3982}\InprocServer32 -> axdb.dll => No File
CustomCLSID: HKU\S-1-5-21-186936371-685096657-845075952-1000_Classes\CLSID\{12545889-6D32-4424-9967-1E1D7BD1F809}\InprocServer32 -> axdb.dll => No File
CustomCLSID: HKU\S-1-5-21-186936371-685096657-845075952-1000_Classes\CLSID\{14679E3B-C952-4998-8E13-4B1286E6DD99}\InprocServer32 -> axdb.dll => No File
CustomCLSID: HKU\S-1-5-21-186936371-685096657-845075952-1000_Classes\CLSID\{1481B385-759A-4B00-9257-E96357563999}\InprocServer32 -> axdb.dll => No File
CustomCLSID: HKU\S-1-5-21-186936371-685096657-845075952-1000_Classes\CLSID\{162EF0A1-5A33-46F2-ACCF-CA388B084A09}\InprocServer32 -> axdb.dll => No File
CustomCLSID: HKU\S-1-5-21-186936371-685096657-845075952-1000_Classes\... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/601251/computer-freezes-until-reboot-hard-drive-stuck-at-100-but-40-gig-free-space/
Relevancy 64.5%

Ok This is a problem I have been having for a while off and on since building this system I think I know alot of the questions that will be asked so I will attempt to answer preemptively the common ones This is a system built by myself I running hangs and hard drive stays forever.... Sytem have or very successful builds under my belt so I think I know what I'm doing Specs Intel Q gHz EVGA i mobo gig Ram currently BFG GTX OC MB WD Raptor GB Samsung GB SATA Sytem hangs and hard drive stays running forever.... drive and at Sytem hangs and hard drive stays running forever.... the moment a Corsair w PSU Now the problem I have been getting random system hangs and BSODs for months The most common occurrance is that the cursor will just stop system hangs and the HD s continue doing whatever Sometimes a BSOD will appear sometimes just the lockup My first suspicians were faulty hardware but I have swapped out the MOBO with a replacement from EVGA I have swapped the original mb of Corsair with mb of Crucial memory I was having this problem before adding the gb HDD so I don't think that's it As far as I know I don't have a cooling problem Big case and fans all around including a huge Zalman heatsink fan These are basically the components recommended by MaximumPC and PC Game I have run the usual Avast Spybot Defender Blacklight scans and currently am running the Panda scan - which reported spyware virtum It seems to hang most often at a period of inactivity such as when it might try to go into sleep mode or something but often happens within minutes of start up Sometimes I can get hours of uninterupped use but usually not I have even swapped out the original Thermtake w PSU with the Corsair and no change I feel like I'm at wits end as I have tried just about everything I just can't find that one broken thing or line that is tripping up the whole system Other fun things are the new habit of Windows Explorer not responding and hard drive still whirring away Thanks for any help Dave

A:Sytem hangs and hard drive stays running forever....

bro lol.. tat is a weak point on window vista. I using the newest lappy 4930G with 4gb ram also freeze 1 sec then back to normal. I already ask mnay user about vista they say they meet hang problem also. But mine consider small problem on freezing.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/sytem-hangs-and-hard-drive-stays-running-forever-290318.html
Relevancy 64.07%

i have installed an ide to sata converter in my motherboard for my dvd writer and since then the hdd light doesn't blink, it stays on. what will be the problem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hdd-led-light-stays-on.1029032/
Relevancy 64.07%

I was attempting to watch a pornographic video that I searched for on google and the video would not play Instead it prompted me to update my flash player Me being the genious that I am I downloaded flash player hd v exe Immediately after I downloaded it nothing happened and the video still did not play That's when I knew I was screwed Apparently this has caused other people problems as well I got this info from a google search so it may be unreliable A couple of days after this happened for some reason I ignored the problem Mcafee did an update that required a restart After the restart my computer stayed on the black screen with the loading bar that says microsoft corporation beneath it for longer welcome screen. the Windows freezes/stays black before than usual and went black I Windows freezes/stays black before the welcome screen. waited for a while and it stayed black I Windows freezes/stays black before the welcome screen. then rebooted in safe mode with networking and tried to Windows freezes/stays black before the welcome screen. search for a solution I frantically made several assumptions one of which was that Mcafee was the problem so I uninstalled it A couple of sites recommended Malwarebyte's anti malware I scanned my computer it took about an hour and a half and it came up with three problems I clicked fix or something I can't remember and it quarantined them I then restarted and experienced the exact same irritating black screen I can only operate in safe mode Any help would be much appreciated Note I ran root repeal several times and it never made it through a full scan dds txt DDS Ver - - - NTFSx NETWORK Run by El Scorcho Amigo at on Thu Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium GMT - SP Windows Defender disabled Updated D DDC A- F- FAE- E -DA C ACF Running Processes C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system svchost exe -k rpcss C Windows System svchost exe -k secsvcs C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe C Users El Scorcho Amigo Desktop dds scr C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp www g tv com uWindow Title Windows Internet Explorer provided by Comcast mStart Page hxxp www comcast net mDefault Page URL hxxp www toshibadirect com dpdstart mWindow Title Windows Internet Explorer provided by Comcast uURLSearchHooks SearchSettings Class e e- - f - dab-fcdd b e d - c program files search settings kb SearchSettings dll uURLSearchHooks Yahoo Toolbar ef bd -c fb- d - f- d f - c program files yahoo companion installs cpn yt dll BHO amp Yahoo Toolbar Helper d -c f - efb- b - eca - c program files yahoo companion installs cpn yt dll BHO Adobe PDF Link Helper df c-e ad- -a -fa c ebdc - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelperShim dll BHO Google Toolbar Helper aa ed - dd- d - -cf f - c program files google googletoolbar dll BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper dbc -a - b-bc - c c c a - c program files java jre bin jp ssv dll BHO SearchSettings Class e e- - f - dab-fcdd b e d - c program files search settings kb SearchSettings dll TB amp Google c b - - d - b - a cd f - c program files google googletoolbar dll TB Yahoo Toolbar ef bd -c fb- d - f- d f - c program files yahoo companion installs cpn yt dll TB E C F -A A- F C- FEC-FD DC A F - No File uRun ehTray exe c windows ehome ehTray exe uRun Aim uRun SansaDispatch c users el scorcho amigo appdata roaming sandisk sansa updater SansaDispatc... Read more

A:Windows freezes/stays black before the welcome screen.

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/266097/windows-freezesstays-black-before-the-welcome-screen/
Relevancy 63.64%

I've been noticing after re-installing Win 7 that I get random floppy drive seeks and the hard drive light flashes like crazy and then everything is fine again.I have Clamwin AV,Spyware Blaster and Spybot S&D installed,but that's it,no Windows Defender or Essentials AV.Any ideas what causes this? It's a minor annoyance,but I just want to make sure it's not damaging anything.Also would Readyboost help me? I've got 2 gigs dual channel PC3200 ram(or I could go with 2.5 gig single channel PC2700)and a P4 at 3 gig until I can afford to upgrade my comp.This is my first post in quite awhile so I hope this is in the right place Thanks.

A:Random floppy drive seek and hard drive light flashing

I have a fix for the floppy drive problem. Unplug it!

But er, it could easily be the AV software doing it, or possibly the Windows indexer.

To track it down you could try catching it in the act (if it's prolonged enough) by using the "Resource Monitor" found on the Performance tab of the Task Manager. Click on the "Disk" tab and wait for it to happen and see if something new shows up as doing disk IO.

Though also, disabling the AV software temporarily and see if it stops might be a first try...

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/202434-random-floppy-drive-seek-hard-drive-light-flashing.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello Ive been searching for a problem thats bothered me for quiet a while and i just cant seem to fix it My problem 7 7: Freezes Computer Windows Randomly Windows is that when im using my computer it Windows 7: Windows 7 Computer Freezes Randomly will randomly freeze whether im watching youtube videos browsing the net or just playing games Starcraft League of Legends My music keeps playing in the backround though but i cant change it and then it pauses after a bit ive reinstalled windows ive tried updating my drivers but it just wont go away so when it freezes it Windows 7: Windows 7 Computer Freezes Randomly just stays at the screen it froze at and the sound is like looping and it does not go to a bluescreen or reboot i have to hold the power down I also did the windows mem diagnostic Said there was no problems Recently defragged my laptop also and CC cleaned it as well It actually froze in the middle of typing this as Windows 7: Windows 7 Computer Freezes Randomly well Specs Win Home premium AMD A - M APU ghz GB ram

A:Windows 7: Windows 7 Computer Freezes Randomly

Check in task manager whether a process in eating up your system resources. It can be caused due to to a system process called "Idle process". Sometimes it can use up to 80% of cpu resources causing your system to lag and hang. Don't ask! You can't kill that process because it is a system task.
The only solution in that case is to check all hardware have been installed an properly configured.
Go to msconfig and try disabling non-microsoft services and software and see if the problem persists.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/320289-windows-7-windows-7-computer-freezes-randomly.html
Relevancy 63.64%

About a day ago I noticed that the Hard drive LED light stays on Activity was staying on all Activity light stays on the time It does flicker a bit when accessing the drive but it never goes out It comes on when I boot in the morning and stays on I don t believe it is a windows problem because it does the same if I boot with a boot floppy or boot to BootIt Next Generation I opened the computer case and checked all connections and inspected the cables and couldn t find anything loose or damaged Could a power surge cause something like this to happen Every thing seems to work fine except sometimes upon first boot of the day if I double-click on quot My Computer quot desktop icon it takes several seconds for the drive icons to appear sometimes the animated flashlight appears first I ran my virus scan Ad-Aware Spybot and HijackThis but nothing new has shown up Do you think my hard drive has been damaged Is there a way to analyze hard disk problems such as this nbsp

A:Activity light stays on

Howdy seidnerm...

Might try defragging the hard drive, then run Scandisc...

To run...open My Computer - right click on the C: - Properties - click on the Tools tab - then the Defragment now button...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/activity-light-stays-on.248692/
Relevancy 63.64%

I have just built my first computer and it is working ok accept that the light on the optical mouse stays on when I turn the computer off.

I have a Gigabyte mother board and a P4 processor.

I spoke to a guy in the tech area of the shop in Melbourne Australia where I brought the parts and he said he built a computer with a Gigabyte motherboard and he has the same problem.

Does anyone have any idea on what I have done wrong to get this problem?

A:Light on mouse stays on

The motherboard still gets stand-by power from the PSU, so it could boot on a wake-up call from e.g. the LAN, keyboard or mouse.
You might be able to switch these things off (see your mobo manual).
If not, disconnect the mains to the PC when you are done computing.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/light-on-mouse-stays-on.27895/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello all,
I clean installed Windows 2000 Pro on a machine formerly running Win ME. I have 2 hard drives, 20 gig [factory] master & 80 gig slave and 2 optical drives, cd ROM [factory] master and a DVD R/RW slave.

After installing Win2k, the "hard drive" or "system" light stays on even when the hdd is not grinding. If I unplug the DVD drive the light goes out [except when the hdd is active]. Everything seems to run normally either way. However, being a little OCD, I can't sleep or watch TV or anything else, knowing that light is staying on. So, ME is back on it now.

The specs are as follows. Thanks for any help.

Compaq Presario 5080US
Intel Celeron 800MHz Processor
256 RAM [128 factory & 128 upgrade]
20GB HDD [factory] master
CD-Rom [factory] master
80GB HDD [Maxtor] slave
DVD R/RW [Liteon] slave

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win2k-hdd-light-stays-on.539231/
Relevancy 63.64%

hey its Noob time again......

My HHD light has been staying on for the last few days and i dont know if there's any connection but when im for eg. surfing the net and listning to music i get noise on my speakers(like static) whenever i move my mouse or if theres alot of number crunching going on.

If anybody could please assist the noob,

A:HHD light Stays on all the time

The "noisy mouse" thing is generally caused by poor RFI (electrical) isolation between the sound card and other parts of the PC. It's common in motherboard-embedded sound cards, although any sound card inside the PC enclosure is susceptible to that type of induced noise, even very expensive cards in expansion slots. That's why upper-end PC sound gear is nowadays frequently imlpemented in the form of a USB-attached external box. The fact that it's removed from the PC enclosure gives it far greater shielding.

Sometimes you can make it bearable by turning down the gain on the soundcard itself, and instead increasing external (speaker) amplification. It can improve signal-to-noise ratios.

As far as your HDD activity is concerned, it's very unlikely to be related to the issue above. If you run RESMON, the "disk" section will show you a per-process breakdown of disk-related activity. Do any of the processes stand out while your HDD is going nuts with activity?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/27141-hhd-light-stays-all-time.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello,
I have a issue with my Lenovo C40-30 all in one PC. When I shutdown the PC the power light remains on, I assume it’s going into standby maybe? I then have to hold the power button to make the light go off.
Any suggestions?
I’ve updated and installed all windows updates
I’ve contacted Lenovo and done various BIOS updates etc but the problem still exists. Lenovo want me to send the computer to them but then state if it’s not Lenovos fault then they will charge me.
Surely this is some software issue that you amazing people can solve?
Thanks in advance

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/pc-wont-shutdown-light-stays-4599371/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello there,

My GTX Gaming G1 1070 and Corsair H100i v2 Liquid Cooler LED's stay on faintly even after turning off the computer. The GTX 1070 still fades in and out of different colours and the Liquid Cooler contains its white but faint light coming from the Corsair Logo. This all started to happen as I fitted my new H440 NZXT case. Also, another weird thing, If I turn on and off the computer and then leave it on in the mains, the next time I try to turn it on, the computer starts up but no display is shown. So I have to turn it off from the mains and then turn it back on for it to start up. Any help?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/67355-light-stays-after-shutting-down.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Well now what do I do Was restarting my laptop when it froze up so I had to push the power button to turn it off and then turn it back on Just as I did though it hung at the logo screen and then it said quot Internal hard disk drive not found To resolve this issue try to reseat the drive No bootable devices--strike the F key to retry boot F to enter Setup menu F to enter PSA quot So then I get into the pre-boot diagnostic screen Guess what it shows me there No seriously WAT If anything I made sure to take extra care not to bump the laptop too much I tried plugging it into my PC tower running Windows and I tried using a hard hard drive detected. ... 8 freezes, Windows then No disk enclosure and Windows 8 freezes, then ... No hard drive detected. they don't work This hard drive Newegg com - WD Blue WD LPVX GB RPM MB Cache SATA Gb s quot Internal Notebook Hard Drive Bare Drive I was hoping to RMA it but seeing as how it's well over months since I ordered it they can't take it back Might as well go straight to the manufacturer and complain

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/38878-windows-8-freezes-then-no-hard-drive-detected.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi

I bought an external hard drive (Seagate FreeAgent) and it was working fine up until one day where I couldn't find it anymore in My computer or Device Manager. If I plugged it in while windows was running, my whole system would just freeze, Ctrl Alt Del wouldn't even work! I re-installed windows XP and started from scratch but this didn't work. I took the hard drive back and replaced it. This then worked on a family member's laptop but back on my computer it's the same old story.

Any help would be greatly received!

Thanks

I have just plugged in my ipod too and it froze so it may be a USB problem! However it doesn't freeze with a cheap mp3 player, i'm really confused, can anyone help??

A:External hard drive freezes windows

A friendly and needed bump to this question.

I am also having a similar problem as this. A while ago I installed a second hard drive and everything works fine on it currently. The problem is that afterwards whenever I try to plug in an external hard disk of any kind, through a USB port, the computer will immediately freeze. Now this includes ipods, cameras with memory disks, and others of that nature. I have tried searching all over the web and have yet to find an answer. It would after all be nice to update my ipod playlist .

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-freezes-windows.617467/
Relevancy 62.78%

My mom is using this dell dimension desktop from like 8 years ago. I put an antec 300w power supply in it about 3 1/2 years ago but now sometimes when the computer is off the bottom cd drive(it has 2) clicks and the light flashes on it as if it was trying to read a cd or something. It continues to do so until you turn off the switch on the back of power supply. I was wondering if anyone knows how to solve this. I think i could be the power supply but i am also worried it could be the motherboard.

A:CD Drive stays on when computer is off

Could be either, I'd start with the easier one and try swapping in another power supply.

Doe anythings else stay running, like a fan or the hard drive? If so it could also be a Windows issue where it doesn't send the signal to the motherboard to power off.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-drive-stays-on-when-computer-is-off.624842/
Relevancy 62.78%

Yesterday when I started my computer the light stayed on. Tried rebooting modem,and computer to no avail.
Have no problem connecting to internet,everything is working as it should,other then the light on the front panel is on. Any thoughts on how to turn it off?

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit system
Optiplex 780 Mini-tower

A:Optiplex 780 connection light stays on?

There is a power light and the four diagnostic lights. What is staying on? The diagnostic lights? The power light should be on green (operating).

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/400667-optiplex-780-connection-light-stays.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello, I have windows XP. my comp is about 5 years old now. Recently I have downloaded skype and comcast's free norton antivirus. Those two things are the only new things downloaded to my comp in probably half a year. The problem just arrived late february. The HDD light stays on constantly even when the comp is not in use. I have done a check disk scan and well as fixed registry errors using Norton. It seems to have given me some relief. I can now be on the comp probably around an hour or so inbetween massive slugness. Please help

A:CPU usage is normal but HDD light stays on

Boot to safe mode. Do you have the same problem?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/385885/cpu-usage-is-normal-but-hdd-light-stays-on/
Relevancy 62.78%

The laptop will not completely shutdown Display screen goes blank but the lights stay on nbsp Windows goes through the shutdown sequence The screen goes blank but nbsp the indicator lights Sound volumn Wi-Fi Media Smart stays lite And the indicator light for the hard drive is on and nbsp it is red The only way to get the lights off HD wont 18 light and on HDX HP stays shutdown total shutdown is to disconnect the AC power connector and then pull the battery nbsp I looked on Internet including the HP Forum and followed recommends to install the Intel Management Enginge Interface MEI Driver the only driver is for Vista OS Windows Show and Hide Updates troubleshoot package changed the Windows Update Services setting from Automatic Delayed Start to Manual nbsp I tried HP Intel R Driver Update Utility and tried to install 'Setup Chipset' but I get an error error unknown HP HDX 18 wont shutdown and HD light stays on Because the HD light indicator is red I think the problem is associated with Intel MEI drive for Windows nbsp but I can't find one that will tell tell to disconnect power to the HD Could be something else but I don't know nbsp So I am looking for help HELP nbsp

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/HP-HDX-18-wont-shutdown-and-HD-light-stays-on/td-p/5795264
Relevancy 62.78%

I have re-formatted a Windows XP PC & it was working fine until I tried to adjust the screen resolution. The resolution was 800x600 & when I tried to change it higher it said that it was out of range & then locked up. I then re-started the PC but it now it not show anything on the monitor - it stays with the orange light on.

Relevancy 62.78%

I have HP Pavilion 15 n003tx notebook. After I shutdown my laptop the power LED still stays on, It does not blink it just stays on. I have tried turning Fast Startup off as well, problem still persists. Kindly assist. 

A:Power LED light stays on even after shutdown

Hi, Try installing the latest IMEI driver directly from Intel as follows. Open Settings and select System.  Select Power and sleep, then click on Additional power settings - in the following window, click on 'Choose what the power button does' in the left hand pane. In the subsequent window, first click on 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' ( near the top of the Window ) and then remove the checkmark from the box against 'Turn on fast start-up (recommended)'.  Click the Save Settings button, then close any open windows and restart the notebook. When windows has reloaded, download the IMEI driver directly from Intel on the following link, unzip the package and run the installer. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26127/Intel-Management-Engine-Consumer-Driver-for-Intel-NU... When the installation has completed, restart the notebook. When the machine has reloaded, re-enable Fast Start-up and reboot the notebook once again - let Windows fully load for a few minutes before checking. Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Power-LED-light-stays-on-even-after-shutdown/td-p/5708818
Relevancy 62.78%

wont shut down on light stays and light on side staying on and wont start up I have blank screen think its windows. Update

A:wont shut down on light stays on

Leave it unplugged from the power supply while it is powered on until the battery completely discharges and then plug it back in and attempt to boot it.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/wont-shut-down-on-light-stays-on/td-p/5729428
Relevancy 62.78%

I upgraded my laptop hard drive to randomly hangs hard windows screen 7 drive, on loading Upgraded start a hitachi Upgraded hard drive, windows 7 hangs randomly on start loading screen gst travelstar tb rpm on - - This morning - - laptop started hanging on the windows loading screen with hard drive activity from a cold boot It's done this total of times it's random most of the time it boots up fine After min of waiting I hold the power button down to turn it off that's the only time the health drops Currently my laptop is running great no problems at all Looking at hd sentinel it shows hard drive health at and it says 'the drive tried to examine and reallocate data sector s times The examined data area is perfect At this point warranty replacement of the disk is not yet possible only if the health drops further ' Surface disk check from HD tune and easeUS partition master reported zero bad sectors all green Raw read error rate is at the time is started It's been at so far I've created a full image with macrium reflect on an external hd and I downloaded WD data life guard and will perform a disk check with that later in the next couple days While upgrading I lost one of the screws that holds it into the enclosure I'm really worried this never happened before

A:Upgraded hard drive, windows 7 hangs randomly on start loading screen

It is possible that without the screw the hard drive is not making good contact with it's interface and that could cause these kinds of intermittent problems. So your first task is to replace that screw.

If that produces no joy then you might try running chkdsk on the drive. Be sure to have backup of your personal files before running any hard drive diagnostic.
Disk Check

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/291475-upgraded-hard-drive-windows-7-hangs-randomly-start-loading-screen.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I'm running Vista 32 Ultimate with top of the line gaming hardware. Yet, Vista randomly freezes where control.alt.delete won't even work, so I have to hold down the power button to reboot.

There's no specific task that causes it, it has frozen when idle on my desktop, playing games, music, browsing the net... anything. I don't get any error message, it just freezes and never recovers. I've reformatted my drive completely, and it still happens. My gut points to my sound card because of the way my speakers make funny sounds sometimes when it happens.

Here's what I've done so far.

- Run the Windows memory check (no problems)
- Reformat
- Run virus/spyware/malware scans

Please let me know what reports/information needed to pinpoint this issue. I can give the basic hardware to start off.

Vista 32 Ultimate
Asus Striker Extreme
Quad Core OC's to ~ 3.4
3GB RAM
nVidia 8800 Ultra
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS

Thanks

A:Vista Freezes Hard Randomly

Hi larryjr88. . .

Welcome back to TSF - Vista!

Do you know if the system is freezing due to the CPU &/or RAM being maxed out?

I suggest that you boot-up the system and immediately bring up the Task Manager (right-click on a clear area of the task bar at the bottom of your screen; select Task Manager). Select the 4th tab - "Performance" - then go about your business. As you may know, it is an "on-top" window so you will be able to see it during a freeze.

I know it must be hard to understand how a system with 3GB RAM could freeze with RAM at 100% - but it has happened.

Please let me know of results.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-freezes-hard-randomly-240289.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I am building a new computer from scratch It is has an Intel Motherboard Ghz Pentium Processor IDE Ports for the floppy drive I have External - quot slots External - quot slots and internal - quot slots for hard drives Here are my problems I had a Compaq Presario with a - quot gig Hard Drive That motherboard went bad / Light Hard Drive Drive Hard Problems so I decided to build my own computer from scratch and everything was going fine until now I took the - quot hard drive out and put it into my new case It had Windows on it and so I upgraded to Windows XP Professional That solved many of my problems but I am still stuck with the following problems My Hard Drive Light on my Case which is suppose to light up when my hard drive is active doesn t work I can see a little green light on my hard drive itself light up but not on the front of the case where it is suppose to I decided that the Gig hard drive from my old system is a little too slow so I bought a Gig rpm Western Digital Caviar Drive It is a - quot drive which I put into one of those internal drive bays When I boot up I go to CMOS by pressing F and then I go and see that the computer is recognizing it and it is My problem is when I go to Windows and to quot My Computer quot it isn t there I am sure it is something small that I am overlooking but I am new to this I bought the hard drive as an OEM and it came with nothing I am wondering what I need to do to get this hard drive active and then transfer all Hard Drive Light / Hard Drive Problems my data from my old hard drive over to the new one I want to keep my old hard drive as a secondary back-up drive Hard Drive Light / Hard Drive Problems but I want my system to boot up load the operating system and load all programs from my new hard drive Please help I want the following and I need to know the best way to accomplish it a DVD Rom Drive b CD-RW Drive c Regular High-Speed CD-Rom Drive d Old - quot Internal IDE Hard Drive e - quot floppy drive f Internal - quot Iomega mg Zip Drive g Internal Gig Hard Drive - quot The problem is that my computer comes with IDE Ports on the motherboard and one for the - quot floppy Each IDE cable has slots One for Master and one for Slave I need IDE Ports for a single cable or for double cables Which do you prefer and how do I obtain additional IDE Ports I don t want to purchase any SCSI right now so I am trying to stick with the IDE How do you recommend placing these devices on the IDE controllers and in what order Should I have the hard drives on the same IDE Cable with one as master and one as slave I know this is a lot of questions but I am in a bind and need some help Thanks a MILLION nbsp

A:Hard Drive Light / Hard Drive Problems

Hi sdh31873

Do not put both hard drives on the same string as the controller will default to the lowest speed hard drive. In fact I would think about getting rid of the old drive entirely as its age means that it should be very slow.

Have you tried turning the led HD connector to the motherboard over?

You can get an Promise PCI controller card that will allow you to add some extra IDE ports. The controller will show the devices on it to be D0, D1, D2 etc. It looks like a SCSI device to the system but hooks up IDE devices.

You need to FDISK and format a new hard drive before windows can see it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-light-hard-drive-problems.66084/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hey there Neither of my hard drives work drive clicks, windows in freezes when GPU Hard plugged in normal windows with the gpu in On a fresh reformat they work for a short while before starting to click and freeze up On an older installation this freeze is instant as soon as the desktop loads It works as it should in safe mode leading me to believe that it may be a software problem but I haves no idea The hard drives work as intended in normal windows without the GPU I don't think it's my PSU as it's watts Hard drive clicks, windows freezes when GPU plugged in If Hard drive clicks, windows freezes when GPU plugged in it's software I have no idea where to begin It may be worth mentioning my mobo MSI z gd g was sent away to get a BIOS update for compatability with ivy bridge but I have installed the drivers for the update I just need to find the source of the problem if it's the hard drives I'll be able to replace them soon and same with the GPU Thanks in advance

A:Hard drive clicks, windows freezes when GPU plugged in

Hard drive clicks? Thats a sign of a failing hard drive. Try backing up as much data as you can before the hard drive completely dies. *removed arrogant post* Its not your PSU.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/270819-hard-drive-clicks-windows-freezes-when-gpu-plugged.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Today i open my Laptop and Use it Not too). Responding Suddenly Windows Freezes Drive (Hard for Hours But when i watching a Movie in the Middle Movie Stuck at the same point and Mouse freezes and Hard drive Light is not Blinking Too My Hard Drive is Hardly an year Old And SMART Showing No Errors So my question is is this hardware issue or software related issue i found an Windows Suddenly Freezes (Hard Drive Not Responding too). Post in thi Forum in which exact same problem is discussed and one of them ask him to Post Minitoolbox Log So Someone Help me to understand This Log and Help me To understand it And Also Help me to Fix resolve the Errors Freeze occurs around http www bleepingcomputer com forums t hard-drive-stops-responding MiniToolBox Windows Suddenly Freezes (Hard Drive Not Responding too). by Farbar Version - - Ran by Machine administrator on - - at Running from C Users Machine Downloads Programs Microsoft Windows Professional Service Pack X Boot Mode Normal Event log errors Application errors Error PM Source Application Error User Description Faulting application name BatmanAC exe version time stamp x f Faulting module name BatmanAC exe version time stamp x f Exception code xc Fault offset x aaa Faulting process id x f Faulting application start time xBatmanAC exe Faulting application path BatmanAC exe Faulting module path BatmanAC exe Report Id BatmanAC exe Error AM Source Application Error User Description Faulting application name amswitcher exe version time stamp x c cdf Faulting module name libstdc - dll version time stamp Windows Suddenly Freezes (Hard Drive Not Responding too). x bc cae Exception code x Fault offset x bd d Faulting process id xdbc Faulting application start time xamswitcher exe Faulting application path amswitcher exe Faulting module path amswitcher exe Report Id amswitcher exe Error PM Source Application Error User Description Faulting application name amswitcher exe version time stamp x c cdf Faulting module name QtCore dll version time stamp x c c Exception code x Fault offset x fe Faulting process id x c Faulting application start time xamswitcher exe Faulting application path amswitcher exe Faulting module path amswitcher exe Report Id amswitcher exe Error PM Source VSS User Description Volume Shadow Copy Service error Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface hr x Access is denied This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process Operation Gathering Writer Data Context Writer Class Id e - f - -a e- ae Writer Name System Writer Writer Instance ID bbc - - a - - c b dfb a Error PM Source Application Error User Description Faulting application name amswitcher exe version time stamp x c cdf Faulting module name QtCore dll version time stamp x c c Exception code x Fault offset x fd f Faulting process id x Faulting application start time xamswitcher exe Faulting application path amswitcher exe Faulting module path amswitcher exe Report Id amswitcher exe Error AM Source Chrome User NT AUTHORITY Description Chrome has encountered a fatal error ver lang guid C A E A F BA E A E DC is machine oop upload minidump C Program Files Google CrashReports dfb a - - b - -ca afff c dmp Error PM Source Application Error User Description Faulting application name amswitcher exe version time stamp x c cdf Faulting module name QtCore dll version time stamp x c c Exception code x Fault offset x fe Faulting process id xdcc Faulting application start time xamswitcher exe Faulting application path amswitcher exe Faulting module path amswitcher exe Report Id amswitcher exe Error AM Source Application Error User Description Faulting application name amswitcher exe version time stamp x c cdf Faulting module name libstdc - dll version time stamp x bc cae Exception code x Fault offset x bd d Faulting process id xab Faulting application start time xamswitcher exe Faulting application path amswitcher exe Faulting module path amswitcher exe Report Id amswitch... Read more

A:Windows Suddenly Freezes (Hard Drive Not Responding too).

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.
 Checkmark the following checkboxes:    List Installed Programs   Click Go and paste the content into your next post.
 Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

Please...do NOT make any more attempts to post this topic, I have deleted all those.  Respond to this topic.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/566824/windows-suddenly-freezes-hard-drive-not-responding-too/
Relevancy 62.35%

My processor recently crashed, so I installed a new one. I decided to upgrade the fan while I was at it. Since then, the computer runs like a champ. However, if the computer goes into standby and I bring it out of it, the hard drive light is constantly solid and the computer responds much slower every now and then. If I restart the computer, the problem goes away until it goes into standby again. I've ran a virus scan, did a check disk, and double-checked the connections. Anyone have any idea what could cause this? I'm stumped.

I'm running a Pentium D processor, Asus P5LP-LE motherboard, and Windows XP.

A:Hard Drive Light Always On

Right click the Task Bar and choose Task Manager. Go to the Processes tab, see what program is using the most CPU usage when it is running slow. Disable or uninstall if you don't need it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-light-always-on-399225.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I recently installed a Western Digital SATA 250gig HD on my E-Machine W3107 as a secondary drive. I needed an adapter since this machine has an IDE cable and the original (main) drive is IDE. After installing and formatting, everything is working properly (to my knowledge), but the HD light is always on. I've adjusted my pagefile (since I also upgraded my RAM from 512meg to 2gig) so that on the main drive, it's set to 3-4gig and 4-5gig on the secondary (WD) drive. I have also gone into "msconfig" and stopped all non-windows processes to no avail. Is there something else that might fix this, or should I even worry about it? Thanks in advance!!

A:Hard-Drive light always on

you're going to need a massive amount of free space to support that size
swap file. After setting the new size, the system is going to mung the HD
to make it active ... it may take a long time.

suggest you reset it to something more reasonable,
shutdown most services,
disconnect from the Net,
and defrag the volume.

then resize as you please and reboot.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-light-always-on.52972/
Relevancy 62.35%

Here's the details:

I have error checked and defragged it, ran antispyware and virus programs but it still doesn't get rid of the light. However, it does go off when I enter standby mode and go out of it. I have Win XP Home with a 4 year old Western Digital HD.

A:Hard Drive LED light always on

whats your processor speed and how much ram do you have?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-led-light-always-on.287194/
Relevancy 62.35%

It seems in windows my hard drive is ALWAYS being accessed! My HDD light keeps flashing, even when the computer is sitting idle! I have the following processed running:

WDFMGR.EXE
nvsvc32.exe
Steam.exe
NvMixerTray.exe
Explorer.EXE
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
wuauclt.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
crss.exe
SMSS.EXE
taskmgr.exe
System
System Idle Process

Yes, thats right, four svchosts! Anyways, this hard drive access is real annoying! It slows down my computer a lot! It seems that in linux, my hard disk light only flashes when I'm actually doing something, but it's always flashing in windows.

How do I get my hard drive to stop being accessed. I want to play my video games at fast speeds, without hard drive access slowing me down.

AMD Opteron 146
ASUS SK8N
512MB DDR PC2700
2x40G Maxtor Hard Drives
XFX Geforce 6600 GT

A:Hard Drive Light!

It could be the symptoms of a virus infection,suggest you run this free online scan http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

The four svchosts are quite normal ......

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-light.363882/
Relevancy 62.35%

Even when Task Manager and Resource Monitor show no disk activity, my hard drive light won't go off. My computer has two hard drives, a 250 and a 1 TB. The 250 has Windows 8, the 1 TB has Windows 7.

If I boot into 7, it's fine.

The light is fine as the computer is doing pre-OS loading but it seems like once Windows 8 gets control of the drive, the light won't turn off.

A:Hard Drive Light Won't Go Off

I have a single drive in my computer, and since installing Windows 8, the drive activity light blinks at approximately two second intervals, continuously. It did not do this under XP.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/4379-hard-drive-light-wont-go-off.html
Relevancy 62.35%

The light on my tower unit is continously on,or sometimes constantly flicking on and off very rapidly the one that tells you that the hard drive is doing something. I've not noticed this light being on continously before and the computer is responding very slowly and often freezes. I'm not sure what is causing it, I've looked in my start up list from msconfig but I couldn't pin anything there down

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is doing this?

cubbycuddly

A:hard drive light always on

i think ur hard disk space is extremely slow
try 2 get a new one and add it to the old one
because the old one is taking too much stress

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-light-always-on.272111/
Relevancy 62.35%

Everything seems fine with my computer after reformatted HD and reinstalling Win98 except my HD light is ao all the time. Any ideas?

A:Hard Drive Light Always On

did you open up the computer and remove wires, etc. Could be the wires are on backwards, other than that, I am not sure

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-light-always-on.94717/
Relevancy 62.35%

In my Acer system, the hard drive light had been on constantly (but flickering) since I booted up this morning. The system also seems very slow today. What could be causing this and what can be done to make the hard drive stop running?

Relevancy 62.35%

hi all
my son- in -law has a pc, a packard bell installed with xp home edition,and it has been working fine for 12 months, but now the hard drive light is on all the time, he can still use the pc all be it has slowed down some what, could anybody sugest a possible diagnostic test that we could download to test what could be the cause,
he has 2x 512mg of ram and its 2.9 ghz
many thanks in anticipation.
johnviv.

A:hard drive light

First check in Task Manager (processes tab - click on "CPU" to order the % of use highest to lowest) to see what application is hogging the CPU, it *might* be the same one that is causing the HDD activity.

I would also suspect a trojan or other malware as a possibility.

Also make sure that the HDD actually has useable space left (My Computer - select drive with right click - Properties)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-light.538599/
Relevancy 62.35%

I sat down today to find out why I couldn't awaken my hard drive after finding it asleep. It is set to never sleep. After a manual shutdown and upon boot up, the hard drive light went out within a few seconds of the appearance of the desktop. Just before the light went out I could move the cursor, but the boot up process never completes and the cursor can no longer be moved after it goes out. I tried this three or four times with the same result. I run xp pro on that machine which is a six or seven year old hp, I don't know the processor type. Any help is appreciated.

Relevancy 62.35%

Bear with me this is a bit hard to explain and baffled even my most tech inclined friend A few weeks ago we had a power outage and my machine cut off The computer itself came back fine the fan was working etc stays shuts in randomly "Standby" and mode off Computer but the monitor was stuck in quot Standby quot with the orange light on The only other thing not working was my USB mouse I tried unplugging etc and nothing helped I tried switching out monitors with no luck I tried using a PS mouse with no change When I unplugged the monitor it came back on and said quot Video cable unplugged quot it only did he standby thing when plugged into the computer tower I took the battery out of the computer and let it sit for a while put it back in and the computer came back on in an hour or so I'd been using that method for the past two weeks but last night it went back off with NO prompting No storm no electricity flicker nothing and it hasn't come back on ANY ideas

A:Computer randomly shuts off and stays in "Standby" mode

Sounds as if the video has been stressed by the power surge, this can happen months after a system has been hit by an outage.
Have tried another video card?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-randomly-shuts-off-and-stays-in-standby-mode-228262.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello to everyone in the forum sorry if my english is rough sometimes first of all i will display my computer hardware amp OS HP Model pavilion m Windows Vista bits minutes) before 10 used Freezes to stop(about IF the cpu Computer light decides home premium with service pack Intel Core I GHz GHz gb ram and an ATI radeon HD i usually search on google when something is bothering me since i hate to post new threads if there is someone Computer Freezes IF used before the cpu light decides to stop(about 10 minutes) else with the same problem but i can't seem to find a specific problem like mine because of it's singularity on the words lol i crossed upon a problem about a month ago i think after an update of vista this started to happen but i can't be sure i went to see the records and after an update was the first time i shutted my computer not properly the problem is that everytime the computer logs to the password screen the cpu light doesn't turn off and it doesn't calm down after minutes or so on the startup i'm always on the task manager to see if i can find anything suspicious but none nothing is using the cpu it says it's only using the processor at or so normal behaviour but if i execute messenger or internet explorer or any other program other than task manager and browse on the folders it freezes no blue screen no warnings just freezes and i manually have to shut it down but if i wait long enough for the cpu light to shut down or calm down it get's normal i'm an average user i don't reckon myself as a newbie lol but this is beyond me pheraps it's hardware one thing is that on resource monitor shows that cpu frequency is always at and the disk is being used quite hardly some processes like Steam uses tons of resource from it but i removed steam from startup like many other app's i like the computer always fast especially on startup could it be a program that's slowing everything down but i used msconfig and there's nothing that could use it on startup and i also note that windows media center is always trying to install something on startup it even launches a microsoft installation but doesn't happen anything sorry if the text is a mess thanks in advance

A:Computer Freezes IF used before the cpu light decides to stop(about 10 minutes)

i think the no reply means FORMAT IT lol

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/computer-freezes-if-used-before-the-cpu-light-decides-to-stop-about-10-minutes-463153.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello all nbsp I have an HP ProBook b that will not power on at all no screen activity no booting to BIOS no fans starting no HDD's spinning nothing nbsp The symptoms that I'm seeing are as follows nbsp - No lights come on at all when on battery power nbsp - On AC power the Power On Light 6565b ProBook - Stays only keyboard area lights that appear is the power button stays steadily on no blinking just stays on nbsp nbsp - On AC power the only 'front' lights that appear is the Power LED stays steady on and the 'lightning' LED stays steady on but blinks x- x a second I'm assuming a nd LED or higher brightness blinking I have a feeling this is a hardware power issue but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot it very far nbsp I've tried the following Removed the battery and powered it up no start no lights nbsp see ProBook 6565b - Power Light Stays On above Connected it to AC power and powered it up no start no lights nbsp see above Removed the battery pressed and held the power button for seconds re-inserted the battery and tried powering on with AC same lights as above with battery no start no lights Any advice Thoughts The laptop is out of warranty so that's unfortunately not an option Solved View Solution

A:ProBook 6565b - Power Light Stays On

#HPExpertDayThen it would be a hardware/motherboard issue and needs service.You can call HP and setup a service or take the unit to a authorized service center.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/ProBook-6565b-Power-Light-Stays-On/td-p/5628093