Windows Support Forum

Icons & Thumbnails don't appear in windows explorer or taskbar anymore

Q: Icons & Thumbnails don't appear in windows explorer or taskbar anymore

I'm never the one to ask, but I don't know what happened. I tried looking online but I couldn't find any solutions. It seems like all my icons (including folders) are not showing up in windows explorer, taskbar, or the desktop anymore. This isn't too big a problem, but navigating through my picture library is very complicated without thumbnails.

My PC is pretty heavily customized.
I also cannot open the start menu from the taskbar anymore. I click the startorb and nothing appears.

Screenshots

Also, while I was uploaded the three screenshots to imgur, the icons showed up on the popup to windows explorer.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Icons & Thumbnails don't appear in windows explorer or taskbar anymore

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Icons & Thumbnails don't appear in windows explorer or taskbar anymore

start off with a SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker and restart when finished.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/219462-icons-thumbnails-dont-appear-windows-explorer-taskbar-anymore.html
Relevancy 92.02%

After installing a new theme, I noticed later on that all the icons on the taskbar, explorer, and the desktop were missing. The programs all work fine, with the title showing, but explorer is very laggy and it's incredibly hard to navigate through my picture folder without thumbnails.

And for some reason, I cannot open the start menu from the taskbar.

Photo Album - Imgur

I tried multiple system restores, and that did not fix the problem.

Thanks for answering, it's very much appreciated.

A:All icons on explorer, taskbar, and desktop are not showing anymore.

Hello and welcome,

You've done multiple system restores and get the same theme? Or what happens?

Click on start, and on the search bar type in cmd, once it appears right-click it and select run as administrator, upon the prompt type in sfc /scannow, it will request to scan on restart, do so.

Give an update please.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/all-icons-on-explorer-taskbar-and-desktop-are-not-showing-anymore-635799.html
Relevancy 84.71%

All of a sudden the following symptoms (all at the same time)::
1. Taskbar icons gone (replaced by a neutral identical icon) except Edge and Store
2. In File Explorer, no longer thumbnails, no icons either, simply blank, but names show
3. All desktop icons gone; but their names still show and they "work"
4. When I rightclick to "Properties" (on desktop icons, or File Explorer items) nothing happens
5. Control Panel no longer shows icons, names only
Seems rather dramatic.... Anybody any idea?

A:Thumbnails, desktop icons, taskbar icons gone, Properties doesnt work

Please try to right click on the start icon and select Command prompt administrator, give admin permissions and copy/paste this into the window that opens and press enter sfc /scannow . If you decide to type it in, please notice the space between the sfc and the /. We want it to say no integrity violations were found. If it says there where corrupt files that could not be repaired, please reboot and run it again. You may have to run it 3 times with reboots in between each time. See if this helps.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/38067-thumbnails-desktop-icons-taskbar-icons-gone-properties-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Yesterday I uninstalled opera and IObit malware fighter The uninstaller deleted relevant registry entries Since then I am having Windows not thumbnails icons/ explorer refreshing problem that - In explorer DVD Ram Drive shows correctly as drive G but on insertion of a DVD disc it would not change to the Windows explorer not refreshing icons/ thumbnails name of the inserted DVD Although when I click on the icon the correct folders in that disc are displayed - If I change the disc in my DVD drive the icon name for next new disc does not show up in the explorer but instead the name and contents of the previous disc continue to show I have to reboot the computer to view new DVD disc contents in explorer - Even then explorer after displaying new thumbnails comes up with explorer exe error memory referenced at ------- etc could not be read I have Win XP SP with all updates since My efforts F doesn't refresh and System restore Windows explorer not refreshing icons/ thumbnails didn't help Two scans by different antiviruses all clear I have cleaned the lens of DVD drive to no effect Also uninstalled and re-installed the DVD drive from device manager no good Registry cleaners- no effect I have not opened the case of my PC wires and connections are secure and in past such problem was resolved with re-installation of windows that I wish to avoid No change of memory modules was ever needed Thanks for the help

A:Windows explorer not refreshing icons/ thumbnails

Go to Start/Run and type SFC /scannow and press enter. Put the XP CD in and it will replace any missing system files.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-explorer-not-refreshing-icons-thumbnails-697145.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Whenever I view a folder which contains MP H video files in large icon view shows thumbnails Windows 's Explorer crashes Explorer loads for a few seconds the green progress bar shows up and then boom Explorer crashes The thumbnails are not shown before crashing Does anyone know how to fix this I tried setting Folder options to 'Always show icons Icons(thumbnails)view Windows Explorer MP4 files with Large crashes in never thumbnails' disables thumbnails on the same folder with MP H video Windows Explorer crashes with MP4 files in Large Icons(thumbnails)view files and Explorer doesn't crash if the MP thumbnails aren't shown I tried testing in other folders containing other video formats with 'Always show icons never thumbnails' set to off like AVI Xvid without an MP H file and Windows Explorer shows the thumbnails fine without crashing I have not currently experienced problems with other formats only MP H The only media players that I have installed are KMPlayer and VLC Media Player which both do not install external codecs AFAIK The only external codec I have installed is CoreAVC but I have been using CoreAVC for months KMPlayer CoreAVC is one of the first things I installed in Windows without any problems this issue just arose a few days ago I am using Windows Ultimate bit Note I prefer a solution that will not end up disabling video thumbnails for MP files I still would like to see MP video thumbnails if possible If the video files themselves are problematic I reckon Explorer should not crash and just not show the thumbnails Event Viewer log and HiJackThis log here Event Viewer and HiJackThis log - b

A:Windows Explorer crashes with MP4 files in Large Icons(thumbnails)view

Hi,
Try reinstalling your KMPlayer and VLC player.

After that do system file checker:
Right click Command Prompt → run as admin → sfc /scannow

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/128312-windows-explorer-crashes-mp4-files-large-icons-thumbnails-view.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I used to be able to, but for some reason I can no longer drag my icons left or right in my taskbar. in Windows Vista Basic It's like they are frozen from moving, though they do work. under properties the quick launch is not locked either and neither is group similar items. Don't know what is going on!

A:Cannot drag my icons in quicklaunch taskbar anymore

Wait, now I can. Dam Vista!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-drag-my-icons-in-quicklaunch-taskbar-anymore.870343/
Relevancy 73.96%

well hello there is a while now the taskbar icons are hidden and cannot be show i disabled the feature quot hide the inactive icons quot but still when i log in the taskbar gets frozen for minute or more i dont think its a registry cleaner issue since some icons appear i think its a program that its messing with my icons not a virus just a program that wants to load but cannot i are explorer the icons taskbar windows - shown not guess the task manager volume amp sound driver app icon appears plus the nvidia icon also and the microsoft security essentials i am missing some icons like the safely remove hardware etc in total i windows explorer - the taskbar icons are not shown used to have like or icons now including messenger and outlook windows explorer - the taskbar icons are not shown minimized to the taskbar icon i have when should be not less than any registry tweak to complete disable the hide inactive icons i remember before this issue occur i installed some update that every time i booted the ballon tip appeared alone in the taskbar warning me it was hidding my inactive icons that just like minute after logging in while the windows explorer was starting up i guess this created some nasty jam that now the ballon does not pop up and makes the icon permanently hidden as i said after i got them missing disabled the hide inactive icons also i used a utility from microsoft to see everything that loads up with the os drivers boot execute programs run once etc i disabled all the third party stuff i dont need sure i log in faster but still the same issue help nbsp

Relevancy 73.96%

I have Windows Ultimate x I wrote this post on Techspot originally and decided I should also ask it here hopefully I Explorer to icons multiple Windows Taskbar Pin can get this solved it's driving me crazy Before anyone says this is impossible it's not I had it set up like this before and I reinstalled Windows now I can't get it back to the way it was I know it was a pain the first time around too though Ok basically I want a taskbar icon that when clicked opens up one of my harddrives When I click this icon I want the window to open using that icon not as a separate item in the taskbar For example see attached Pin multiple Windows Explorer icons to Taskbar images The first image is what Pin multiple Windows Explorer icons to Taskbar it should do when I click to Pin multiple Windows Explorer icons to Taskbar open it the second is what it should not do the little mp player icon is the E drive shortcut opening the window changes the icon to a harddrive Now if I change the target of the shortcut to this C Windows explorer exe e root E Then it works like it should however there's a problem I want more than one shortcut The other shortcut is to an FTP site I actually thought to save the original shortcut from before I reinstalled Windows and the target for it is this C Windows explorer exe e root ftp username password mysite com with the actual site and credentials obviously being changed here This also works as it should opening the window using the icon Here's the problem though both work when they're the only ones on the taskbar but if I put them both on the taskbar at the same time then whichever one I added first takes precedence By that I mean that if I add the shortcut to the E drive then add the shortcut to the FTP site clicking the E drive shortcut opens the window using the correct icon but clicking the FTP site shortcut opens the window using the E drive icon I know this may sound like a trivial little thing but it's possible I know it is and it's just how I want it set up Can anyone help me out please I read somewhere that I could make a copy of explorer exe rename it explorer exe and point one of the shortcuts to it and that would solve the problem Well I did that and it didn't fix it it just reversed it now clicking on the E shortcut opens a window using the FTP shortcut It doesn't make sense and I had it working before I just don't remember what I did

A:Pin multiple Windows Explorer icons to Taskbar

right click on the drive then select Create shortcut

a shortcut will appear on your desktop

drag the shortcut to your taskbar

right click the explorer icon on the taskbar, you will see the shortcut that you want there

you can then delete the shortcut from your desktop

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/159132-pin-multiple-windows-explorer-icons-taskbar.html
Relevancy 73.96%

I have checked in the only two places I was aware of that would cause this:

Folder Options - View ....however, there is no option there to check show Thumbnails. I believe this option should be there at the top, but it isnt.

I also went to Properties of My Computer, Advanced, Performance. It is checked there to show Thumbnails.

But for whatever reason, I only see icons when I should see thumbnails. And yes, I have changed the view to Medium, large, extra large.

A:Explorer showing Icons instead of thumbnails....

Hello Dave,

You might double check through each option in the tutorial below to see if it may help. It's for Windows 7, but it's the same in Windows 8 except "Windows Explorer" is "File Explorer" in OPITION FOUR instead.

Thumbnail Previews - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/15121-explorer-showing-icons-instead-thumbnails.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Good morning everyone I came across this forum while searching for help with a computer issue I m hoping you can help me Our sales director has a Dell Latitude E laptop with Win XP Pro I did all the updates before this problem occurred It s brand new and he decided to use the program PC Locator to move everything from his old laptop to his new laptop He says load fails Windows to icons/taskbar Explorer - no he did Windows Explorer fails to load - no icons/taskbar that it said it did it successfully but when he restarted the program right after using the program the computer won t finish loading Windows Explorer It will get to the Welcome screen and you can choose Windows Explorer fails to load - no icons/taskbar your user but after that it will show the desktop background but no icons or taskbar and gives the error that Windows Explorer Windows Explorer fails to load - no icons/taskbar has encountered a problem and needs to close Error messages http i photobucket com albums jj Ruatha jpg http i photobucket com albums jj Ruatha jpg Can anyone help me figure out what is going on Could he have transferred a virus or anything from his old laptop He was prone to downloading everything under the sun although he did have Vipre anti-virus on there and I installed Kapersky Anti-Virus on his new laptop BEFORE he copied everything over but it was FULL of junk I ran a standard diagnostic test as well and it came up with the following errors Error Code D Msg VIDEO - No BIOS support for SMI interface function I have no idea where to go from here Anyone have suggestions I m a intermediate computer user but haven t really run into problems like this before Kathleen nbsp

A:Windows Explorer fails to load - no icons/taskbar

Came across the same problem. It is a virus problem and I had to reformat to fix it. Usually it is a virus associated with a crack .exe file.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-fails-to-load-no-icons-taskbar.816291/
Relevancy 73.1%

Before, the battery icon and the safely remove hardware icons worked and showed up in my taskbar on my laptop but now for some reason, they dont show up anymore. Can anyone help?

P.S. Ive tried the batch file to open the safely remove hardware page but it doesnt stay in the taskbar.

A:Battery/Safely Remove Hardware icons not showing up in Taskbar anymore...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/battery-safely-remove-hardware-icons-not-showing-up-in-taskbar-anymore.647409/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi,
I'm running a Dell Inspiron 6400 with Windows XP Home on it.
My problem is as such:
When ever I close an explorer window, the taskbar and desktop icons disappear for a few seconds...Its quite annoying, and it also closes any other Windows I have open.
Programs don't seem to be affected...

Has anyone come across this problem? And are there any solutions?
Much thanks for any help rendered.

A:Taskbar and Desktop Icons Dissapear After Closing Explorer Windows.

*bump*
Can no one help me?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/taskbar-and-desktop-icons-dissapear-after-closing-explorer-windows.601650/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi there, I have a slight software conflict that results in me choosing to use Windows 7 Basic Theme instead of Aero. However I've noticed that the taskbar thumbnail preview panes have disappeared now and I really like that facility so I can see which windows are open when I hover over the Firefox tab on the taskbar.

Is there a hack or peice of software that will enable this please?

Thanks very much for any advice

A:Possible to get Taskbar Thumbnails on Windows 7 Basic Theme?

Unfortunately no, that feature is part of Windows Aero, which is not included in basic edition

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/possible-to-get-taskbar-thumbnails-on-windows-7-basic-theme.1047222/
Relevancy 66.65%

After playing around with the operating system I found that I don't like the thumbnail (previews) from the taskbar. Is there a way to disable this in Windows 7?

I don't have the same screen as vista as listed here: Thumbnail Previews on Taskbar - Enable or Disable - Vista Forums

A:Disabling taskbar thumbnails (previews) in Windows 7

Just do it the same way as the tutorial, threw gpedit.msc. Enable it, click ok or apply and restart.
Or, if you don't want to restart..right click on the task bar and click on task manager, go to the process tab, select explorer.exe and end process. Then to restart it, click file on the task manager menu bar, new task-explorer.exe-OK. And it will work after that instead of restarting the computer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/1452-disabling-taskbar-thumbnails-previews-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I solved this problem by system restoring but the question I have is what caused the problem Could it be data corruption malware or something else It tray and with icons taskbar windows missing "Had" lag explorer problem seems to definitely be software related since I fixed the problem by system restoring I did not remember any major differences software related between the days this problem has not occurred and started occurring with the exception of "Had" problem with taskbar tray icons missing and windows explorer lag a Windows Update for quot Windows Defender quot it is possible for a definition update to cause these symptoms Two problems I quot had quot before system restore Taskbar icons not appearing quot most quot aren t showing up the processes are running Really bad Windows Explorer lag second lag when opening folders in "Had" problem with taskbar tray icons missing and windows explorer lag start menu alt tabbing from full screen etc About four days ago I started Vista and noticed some of my taskbar icons missing despite the fact that they re all loaded when I checked the task manager I followed this guide which said to go to quot HKEY CURRENT USER Software Classes Local Settings Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion TrayNotify quot and then delete the values quot IconStreams quot and quot "Had" problem with taskbar tray icons missing and windows explorer lag PastIconsStream quot I did that and restarted explorer exe it worked and brought back my taskbar icons However it s not permanent the problem comes back after I restart my computer and Windows Defender never reappears in the taskbar even after I followed those steps On the same day of the problem I notice windows explorer in general has been really unresponsive and slower than usual For example - when I go to quot Start Menu quot then open any folder windows explorer lags for seconds anything explorer related lags and is frozen before the folder actually opens Another example - When I alt tab from a full screen video game doesn t matter which game it also lags seconds before explorer responds and updates Before this problem occurred windows explorer rarely lagged or slowed down for more than seconds but now seconds I fixed the problem by system restoring but does anyone know why these symptoms showed up in the first place I want to avoid it from happening again but if it does happen again how can I solve this issue without system restoring Also I did a virus scan with Avast custom settings I set all the scan settings to highest but found nothing during the period of problems Any help and info will be really appreciated thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/had-problem-with-taskbar-tray-icons-missing-and-windows-explorer-lag.973713/
Relevancy 65.79%

Ok, so I am brand new to Windows 7 and have been enjoying a lot of the new features. The only frustrating thing so far was the inability to manually rearrange icons in folders, but that's another story...

I just installed the recommended Windows updates last night, and now the Thumbnail Previews for open windows on the taskbar are disabled. I've restarted, etc, with no luck, and tried to find help online, but I can't seem to find a solution for Home Premium that doesn't involve editting the Registry...

Hopefully this is a simple fix, and I am just not typing in the right search words. These forums were fantastic when I got a nasty little virus on XP last time, so I am turning here again for help.

Please let me know if I need to provide any other information. Thanks for the help, and Happy New Year!

A:Windows 7 Home Premium - Taskbar Thumbnails have disappeared?

Hmmm, looks like maybe a Desktop setting just failed somehow. It didn't work the first time, but I changed my desktop theme back to a standard Aero one, then recustomized it, and the Thumbnails seem to be working again.

Guess that solves that problem! Only question is if this is a known bug or just a fluke?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/370716/windows-7-home-premium-taskbar-thumbnails-have-disappeared/
Relevancy 65.79%

I was given a new Windows laptop at work today Came with Hope Windows working lists, Taskbar jump thumbnails not Premium Performed an Anytime Upgrade to Professional I've discovered that the taskbar is not working properly and I don't know if it's a problem with the taskbar or aero Can't move rearrange shortcuts on the taskbar even when the taskbar is NOT locked Left-click amp Drag-up for Jump Lists does not work properly The jump list appears but as soon as I move the cursor off the shortcut the jump list disappears Right-click on short cut does make jump list work When more than one instance of a program is running ie Windows Explorer and I hover over the shortcut on the taskbar to see the open window thumbnails Ican not move the cursor to select the window I want Instead like with jump lists as soon as I move the cursor off the shortcut the thumbnails disappear I have tried rebooting and hard booting Has anyone else had a similar problem Has anyone seen a solution

A:Windows Taskbar jump lists, thumbnails not working

I found the solution on these forums. Guess I just needed to do a better job of searching. It appears to be specific to Dell computers (including Alienware, which is owned by Dell now).

Solution is in this thread: Taskbar thumbnail preview disappears quickly

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/38236-windows-taskbar-jump-lists-thumbnails-not-working.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi guys.

I am going crazy with this problem of mine. See screenshot on how it looks like. This problem just occurred yesterday.

Here is my ancient laptop's specs:

Intel Pentium 4 - M (1.9GHz, single-core)
512MB RAM
40GB HDD
ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 (32MB)

Here is a list of what I already did:

*Copied explorer.exe from another laptop; didn't work, so it is safe to assume that it is not the problem
*Full scan with latest Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (v1.45), found nothing
*Safe Mode, still no icons
*Cleared IconCache.db but to my surprise, it was not rebuilt.

In the case I have lacked any information, kindly inform me. To my dismay, this is the longest time that I had spent troubleshooting.

Best regards.

A:No Icons in Desktop/Taskbar/Explorer

Hello Brionac, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Since this has just happened, you might do a system restore using a restore point dated before this happened to hopefully fix it for you.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/78867-no-icons-desktop-taskbar-explorer.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi I have seen variations of this problem all over wallpaper! (explorer.exe) icons, No desktop, on taskbar just - the web and have yet to find a solution that has worked for me All my files and stuff still work but I have to go through the windows task manager Under processes in task manager I have no explorer exe here is my hijak this log Thanks in advance for any help Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT (explorer.exe) - No icons, taskbar on desktop, just wallpaper! MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe (explorer.exe) - No icons, taskbar on desktop, just wallpaper! C Program Files STOPzilla szntsvc exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C WINDOWS system cisvc exe C WINDOWS System CTsvcCDA exe C WINDOWS runservice exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe (explorer.exe) - No icons, taskbar on desktop, just wallpaper! C Program Files Norton AntiVirus IWP NPFMntor exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS system cidaemon exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS System taskmgr exe C Documents and Settings Grant My Documents hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www dellnet com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main SearchAssistant about blank R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride http localhost R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook CnfSearch Class - D CD F -D - D - - C A - C WINDOWS System ConfuSearch dll N - Netscape user pref quot browser startup homepage quot quot www yahoo com quot C Documents and Settings Grant Application Data Mozilla Profiles default s vhwg slt prefs js N - Netscape user pref quot browser search defaultengine quot quot engine C A CProgram Files CNetscape CNetscape Csearchplugins CSBWeb src quot C Documents and Settings Grant Application Data Mozilla Profiles default s vhwg slt prefs js O - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - BHO STOPzilla Browser Helper Object - E F - - D - F B- D B D - C WINDOWS System SZIEBHO dll O - Toolbar REALBAR - E BD F- B D- E-C FF-FD B A D - C PROGRA COMMON Real Toolbar RealBar dll O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS System igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS System hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run diagent quot C Program Files Creative SBLive Diagnostics diagent exe quot startup O - HKLM Run UpdReg C WINDOWS UpdReg EXE O - HKLM Run DVDSentry C WINDOWS System DSentry exe O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run AdaptecDirectCD quot C Program Files Roxio Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exe quot O - HKLM Run NeroCheck C WINDOWS system NeroCheck exe O - HKLM Run STOPzilla quot C Program Files STOPzilla Stopzilla exe quot autorun O - HKLM Run VBouncer C PROGRA VBouncer VirtualBouncer exe O - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run SSC UserPrompt C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared Security Center UsrPrmpt exe O - HKLM Run Symantec NetDriver Monitor C PROGRA SYMNET SNDMon exe Consumer O - HKLM Run ccRegVfy quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Sh... Read more

A:(explorer.exe) - No icons, taskbar on desktop, just wallpaper!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/explorer-exe-no-icons-taskbar-on-desktop-just-wallpaper.390191/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi i recently restarted my computer and the taskbar and icons were gone, i opened task manager and ran explorer.exe and a box would come up telling me it was loading, it would then stop and a microsoft report error box would come up. i dont know what to do, plz help, i dont want to have to wipe my computer.
Also virus scans show nothing

Relevancy 64.5%

I m not sure desktop icons Missing taskbar (explorer.exe?) and if I m supposed to add to a thread with the same subject or make my own but here it goes Basically my taskbar and desktop will not show this started happening after I downloaded a certain spyware remover after getting hard to remove spyware but I don t remember what its name was Here s my HijackThis file Thanks in advance Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Missing taskbar and desktop icons (explorer.exe?) Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe c windows system rqiboh exe C Program Files Common Files Acronis Schedule schedul exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast aswUpdSv exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashServ exe C WINDOWS system CTsvcCDA EXE C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exe C WINDOWS system MsPMSPSv exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashMaiSv exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashWebSv exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Documents and Settings ELVIN Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http cgi verizon net bookmarks bmredir asp region all amp bw dsl amp cd amp bm ho search R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http cgi verizon net bookmarks bmredir asp region all amp bw dsl amp cd amp bm ho search R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Verizon Online R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride F - REG system ini Shell Explorer exe C WINDOWS Nail exe O - BHO HelperObject Class - C D-C - C - -FCE AD C - C Program Files TechSmith SnagIt SnagItBHO dll O - BHO Yahoo Companion BHO - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - C PROGRA Yahoo COMPAN Installs cpn ycomp dll file missing O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocx O - BHO Verizon Broadband Toolbar - E BD F- B D- E-D FC-E AF D FA D - C WINDOWS DOWNLO vzbb dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO no name - C B A - DB - A -A CB-D BBFEB - no file O - Toolbar amp Yahoo Companion - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C PROGRA Yahoo COMPAN Installs cpn ycomp dll file missing O - Toolbar SnagIt - FF E -ABDE- EB-B E-D AAB CABE - C Program Files TechSmith SnagIt SnagItIEAddin dll O - Toolbar Verizon Broadband Toolbar - E BD F- B D- E-D FC-E AF D FA D - C WINDOWS DOWNLO vzbb dll O - HKLM Run LVCOMS C Program Files Common Files Logitech QCDriver LVCOMS EXE O - HKLM Run gcasServ quot C Program Files Microsoft AntiSpyware gcasServ exe quot O - HKLM Run NeroFilterCheck C WINDOWS system NeroCheck exe O - HKLM Run dvd C Program Files dvd dvd tray exe O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run Acronis True Image Monitor quot C Program Files Acronis TrueImage TrueImageMonitor exe quot O - HKLM Run Acronis Scheduler Service quot C Program Files Common Files Acronis Schedule schedhlp exe quot O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run Motive SmartBridge C PROGRA VERIZO HELPSU SMARTB MotiveSB exe O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe quot O - HKLM Run eDonkey quot E Program Files eDonkey edonkey exe quot -t O - HKLM Run Zone Labs Client C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe O - HKLM Run Microsoft Works Update Detection C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Works Shared WkUFind exe O - HKLM R... Read more

A:Missing taskbar and desktop icons (explorer.exe?)

Hi twmrb, welcome to TSG. Your use of file sharing applications is just asking for trouble.

Download Killbox and save it to your desktop.

http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.exe

Okay, now click Start > Run > and type in:

services.msc

Click OK.

In the services window find System Startup Service (SvcProc). Right click and choose "Properties". On the "General" tab under "Service Status" click the "Stop" button to stop the service. Beside "Startup Type" in the dropdown menu select "Disabled". Click Apply then OK. Exit the Services utility.
Then download and run this app:

http://www.mypctuneup.com/evaluate.php
Boot to safe mode. Instructions here:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

While in safe mode open HJT and check the following entries:

F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=Explorer.exe,C:\WINDOWS\Nail.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dinst] C:\WINDOWS\dinst.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [qxwbede] c:\windows\system32\rqiboh.exe r
Click Fix Checked and close HJT.

Open Killbox. Now put a tick by Delete on Reboot. In the "Full Path of File to Delete" box, copy and paste each of the following lines one at a time then click on the button that has the red circle with the X in the middle after you enter each file. It will ask for confimation to delete the file on next reboot. Click Yes. It will then ask if you want to reboot now. Click No.

C:\WINDOWS\dinst.exe
c:\windows\system32\rqiboh.exe
Reboot to normal mode and go here for a couple of online AV scans:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
When done, post a current HJT log, okay?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-taskbar-and-desktop-icons-explorer-exe.387996/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello I have posted twice on the Malwarebytes forum and searched on the AVG forum - to no avail Bleepingcomputer looks like a good alternative My computer was running a bit slow AVG scan found no infections Downloaded and scanned with Malwarebytes which found and quarantined eight files I can list them here if that is useful While running Malwarebytes AVG missing; right-click XP explorer.exe Desktop no taskbar, icons on and s Identity Protection box popped up and reported an infection in C Documents and Settings Owner Local Settings TEMP RARSFXD USERINIT EXE which it XP taskbar, icons and explorer.exe missing; no right-click on Desktop said contained quot Malware gen XP taskbar, icons and explorer.exe missing; no right-click on Desktop quot a quot downloader quot which didn t cause much concern as I regularly clean the TEMP folder every few days AVG reported that Malware gen sometimes masquerades as USERINIT EXE AVG quarantined it In the AVG Vault it appears with the name NIRCMD EXE - not USERINIT EXE This AVG Identity Protection activity was a surprise as I had never seen it before Malwarebytes then said I must reboot to complete the process Rebooting Windows behaved normally through the splash screen quot welcome quot screen but after that only the Desktop wallpaper displayed without it s taskbar and icons I am also unable to right-click on the Desktop I have tried the following without any change in the symptoms Booting in Safe Mode Restoring to the Last Know Good Configuration point date I was only able to do this in Safe Mode and went back to January Now using Safe Mode the calandar will not go back previous to February Is this significant Did a repair install from my Dell XP Service Pack Reinstallation CD Used chkdsk p although Windows fixed one error Used sfc scannow I read in another forum that quot If Desktop is not loading at Windows startup that means that Explorer exe is not loading quot I then noted that explorer exe is not displayed under quot Processes quot in Windows Task Manager I have tried to open explorer exe in Task Manager s quot New Task quot and with each attempt the taskbar appears for a second or so and disappears again Explorer exe continues to not display in quot Processes quot My computer Dell Inspiron laptop Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack Last Windows security updates the day before Reverted to SP after recent CD repair install AVG anti-virus Last update and scan the night before using Malwarebytes and both update and scan again yesterday No infections found ZoneAlarm fire wall Latest update Thanks for any assistance

A:XP taskbar, icons and explorer.exe missing; no right-click on Desktop

Hello,Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.Orange Blossom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/379799/xp-taskbar-icons-and-explorerexe-missing;-no-right-click-on-desktop/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi guys this is my first post here and lately I ve been encountering some weird problems Lately Windows XP has been taking minutes to rach my desktop and minutes to load all my icons and taskbar I thought it was some registry error so I ran CCleaner I also ran Avanced System explorer.exe Taking and Forever Load Icons Taskbar! to Care Pro Rebotted Still happening Tried to run MBAM but explorer.exe Taking Forever to Load Icons and Taskbar! after hitting quot scan quot Mbam quit itself Thought I had a virus I did of them Found them by running into safemode and scanning using Super Anti-Spyware Mbam still doesn t work I renamed the exe uninstalled reinstalled updated no dice After removing the viruses I rebooted again Still taking long Ran explorer.exe Taking Forever to Load Icons and Taskbar! Kaspersky s Anti rookit killer Found nothing Unchecked some unnecessary programs to run at startup in MSconfig Still nothing Googled some more found out it could be explorer exe being corrupt Went to the HKEY something and found there was a missing value for quot Shell quot so I put explorer exe in the value Rebooted Nothing again Did a system restore Nada Googled again Found out it could be a corrupt user profile Created a new user account When I first created the first user account everything loaded immediatley Transferred all my prefences and import data onto my new account After reboot the same problem happened AGAIN Then I ran a HiJackThis scan and got a log which is right here Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP v WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes E WINDOWS System smss exe E PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exe E Program Files AVG AVG avgcsrvx exe E WINDOWS system winlogon exe E WINDOWS system services exe E WINDOWS system lsass exe E Program Files IObit Advanced SystemCare ASCService exe E WINDOWS system nvsvc exe E WINDOWS system svchost exe E WINDOWS System svchost exe E WINDOWS System svchost exe E WINDOWS system spoolsv exe E Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SASCORE EXE E Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe E Program Files AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe E Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe E WINDOWS system dlcxcoms exe E Program Files LogMeIn Hamachi hamachi- exe E WINDOWS system svchost exe E Program Files Viewpoint Common ViewpointService exe E Program Files AVG AVG avgnsx exe E Program Files AVG AVG AVGIDSAgent exe E WINDOWS system wuauclt exe E WINDOWS explorer exe E Program Files Trend Micro HiJackThis HiJackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant O - BHO no name - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - no file O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - E Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO WormRadar com IESiteBlocker NavFilter - CA F - F E- B -A E- E E C C - E Program Files AVG AVG avgssie dll O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - E PROGRA MICROS Office GROOVEEX DLL O - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - E Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO AVG Security Toolbar BHO - A BC A - F - -AA - D C - E Program Files AVG AVG Toolbar IEToolbar dll O - BHO URLRedirectionBHO - B F A - E - -BA - B E FF - E PROGRA MICROS Office URLREDIR DLL O - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - E P... Read more

A:explorer.exe Taking Forever to Load Icons and Taskbar!

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps.===Optional - VIEWPOINT MANAGER Viewpoint Manager is considered as foistware instead of malware since it is installed without users approval but doesn't spy or do anything "bad". Read this article: http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3561546Additional info: http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_137262.htm I suggest you remove the program now. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and remove the following programs if present.ViewpointViewpoint ManagerViewpoint Media PlayerViewpoint Toolbar===IObit Security 360 is a rogue security program known to cause system problems and that had stolen material from other computer security companies to use in their own program. IOBit Steals Malwarebytes? Intellectual PropertyIOBit?s Denial of Theft UnconvincingThe program has also been seen to cause numerous system problems that tend to go away after uninstalling their software.Go to Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs and remove the following programs:IObit Security 360Advanced SystemCare(or any program from IObit)T-Tools has created a free program that has been designed specifically to remove every last trace of the entries of IObit programs left behind if and when you had decided to uninstall one or more of these programs. Please download BitRemover from here:http://www.t-tools.nl/bitremoveren.phpSave the program to your Desktop and double-click on the program to run it.===[*]Close all programs leaving only HijackThis running. Place a check against each of the following, making sure you get them all and not any others by mistake:R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {fc00cdd1-38e2-4a90-9805-bfc987777712} - (no file)O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {1df299d5-fc41-4f47-a096-717e780644bf} - (no file)O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {D4027C7F-154A-4066-A1AD-4243D8127440} - (no file)O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {3c490bf5-4244-4310-b4a7-3361f288dac5} - (no file)Restart the computer normally.Please download and run this DDS Scanning Tool. Nothing will be deleted. It will just give me some additional information about your system.Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scr DDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run.Please just paste the contents of the DDS.txt log in your next post. DO NOT attach the log.===Please download ComboFix from one of these locations:Link 1Link 2* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your DesktopDisable your Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools
Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recov... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/437192/explorerexe-taking-forever-to-load-icons-and-taskbar/
Relevancy 63.64%

I was editing some id3 tags in DBPowerAmp, and explorer crashed. Random, but, ok. It took a two or three minutes for explorer to recover, and when it did, it was like the display driver had failed, as everything was HUGE upon recovery. Ok, so, nothing a reboot won't fix, right? Humm, MOSTLY. Now, since then (and a few other reboot attempts) there have been a few anomalies. The most obvious, in my taskbar, though the
"computer" "homegroup" and "libraries" and "libraries" icons are normal, my personal favorites, and "network" favorite all display like the image.

In addition, when I click on the desktop toolbar the control panel icon is just a gray/black box, and the network icon is generic, like the task bar icons.

Any idea what might be going on, and how I can remedy this odd circumstance?

Thanks,

Russell

A:Weird folder icons in taskbar after explorer crash.

Have you tried a program like TuneUp Utilities or Glary Utilities to repair errors with shortcuts and such?, or using them along with CCleaner to clean files and registry?, sometimes it could be that, it happened to me. Or maybe you could try updating/reinstalling your video driver.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/330669-weird-folder-icons-taskbar-after-explorer-crash.html
Relevancy 63.64%

When i start up my computer, all i get is the background. When i press Ctrl-Alt-Delete, i cannot access the task manager. I was surfing the web and then my screen filled with ads and antivirus software. I think this may be a virus, but I think that my explorer.exe is deleted. HELP!?

A:No icons, taskbar, or task manager explorer.exe deleted

You probably have been zapped with mailware or viruses but

CTRL+SHIFT+ESC: Opens Windows Task then you could try system restore.

ManagerCTRL+ESC: Opens the Start menu (use the ARROW keys to select an item)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/no-icons-taskbar-or-task-manager-explorer-exe-deleted-461749.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello all The issue I am having is at startup After rebooting my pc I discovered that the screen was black shortly after the Welcome screen loads Pressing Ctrl Alt Del brings up the Task manager and shows me that explorer exe is running however my toolbar and desktop background aren't showing I cancelled the process and ran explorer exe as a new task and the toolbar reappears though without my AVG icon I then logged off and back on to my user profile My icons reappeared in the toolbar After doing some research on people with similar problems I attempted to correct not icons loading missing properly/taskbar Explorer.exe the problem by first checking the shell extension Explorer.exe not loading properly/taskbar icons missing of explorer exe to see if it was renamed or manipulated but it shows as quot Explorer exe quot I then attempted a system restore to an earlier date but that didn't fix the issue either I've run both AVG Antivirus and Malware Bytes from safe mode in an attempt to locate any infections but neither found anything I also ran sfc scannow but the problem persists Also due to the product being pre-installed so no installation dvd I could not find the option to run a startup repair The last Explorer.exe not loading properly/taskbar icons missing program I downloaded was Microsoft's Compatibility Toolkit v and used it to remove the UAC popup when running Ventrilo chat software I had recently downloaded Vista Home Premium sp as well but have since uninstalled it trying to troubleshoot this issue Any help would be greatly appreciated ------------------ System Information ------------------ Time Explorer.exe not loading properly/taskbar icons missing of this report Machine name BANGER Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium Build Service Pack vistasp gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer HP-Pavilion System Model GC AA-ABA a n BIOS Phoenix - AwardBIOS v PG Processor AMD Athlon X Dual Core Processor CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX DX Setup Parameters Not found DxDiag Version bit Unicode Edit I tried startup repair and it didn't find any errors I'm stumped

A:Explorer.exe not loading properly/taskbar icons missing

I chose recently to run Spybot S&D. I can't verify whether or not it fixed the issue, but I haven't seen the error return. I have noticed, however, that IE is lagging a bit when loading initially.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/231461/explorerexe-not-loading-properlytaskbar-icons-missing/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello, I have a problem with my Windows XP computer. All my icons and taskbar has dissapeared. Its usually can be fixed by opening explorer.exe which wont open. I have tried multiple ways and the only way to access programs is by task manager.

I currently haven't got a HijackThis Log which I will upload a.s.a.p. There are also no viruses and no hardrive errors so I'm pretty stumped on what I should do.

Kind Regards,

Ramee

Relevancy 63.64%

Up until a few days ago I could view thumbnails/icons of actual PDF files while in Windows Explorer. Now I only get the Adobe logo icon. Other file thumbnails are working.

I tried a system restore back to before this started but it didn't correct the problem. Prior to that I tried changing the file association to another program and back again but that didn't work either. Any other ideas?

Windows 7 spoiled me-- I really liked being able to see what the file looked like before I had to go opening several to find the one I want. (When I'm creating document graphic designs I usually make three or four different trial versions which can get confusing when I am away from my work for a day or two!)

I tried Googling the problem and found some discussions on other forums but still haven't found a satisfactory solution.

Thanks,
Lisa in The Lowcountry

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-pdf-thumbnails-icons-reverted-back-to-adobe-logo-515567.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Problem with user accounts no taskbar no explorer exe it isn't running no desktop icons Hi I'm having trouble when I load my desktop with no accounts:no explorer.exe, Problem user taskbar, no icons side of the computer and the only way I can access programs is through Windows Task Manager All that will load is the desktop background picture I have looked up various solutions - it seems the explorer exe process is Problem with user accounts:no taskbar, no explorer.exe, no desktop icons missing or unable to be located when I try to run it I have ran Problem with user accounts:no taskbar, no explorer.exe, no desktop icons an AVG scan and two infection were found and supposedly healed These were C Programfiles MicrosoftCommon wuauclt exe Win Heur and C WINDOWS System ntos trojanhorsePakes c RZ Have not yet ran any other scans and really need futher advice on what to do next I have Spybot and Adaware but have not yet ran a scan since before the computer started playing up I've also had to manually open Zonealarm so that I have a functioning firewall I've only had this problem once before - I think it was yesterday and I panicked and just turned off the computer at the switch Restarted everything was fine and the toolbar amp desktop was there Today it was working fine until I turned it on about hours ago

A:Problem with user accounts:no taskbar, no explorer.exe, no desktop icons

Quote:

Originally Posted by elcacat

Problem with user accounts:no taskbar, no explorer.exe (it isn't running), no desktop icons

Hi I'm having trouble when I load my side of the computer and the only way I can access programs is through Windows Task Manager. All that will load is the desktop background picture. I have looked up various solutions - it seems the explorer.exe process is missing or unable to be located when I try to run it. I have ran an AVG scan and two infection were found and supposedly healed. These were C:\Programfiles\MicrosoftCommon\wuauclt.exe (Win32\Heur)and C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntos (trojanhorsePakes_c.RZ). Have not yet ran any other scans and really need futher advice on what to do next! I have Spybot and Adaware but have not yet ran a scan since before the computer started playing up. I've also had to manually open Zonealarm so that I have a functioning firewall :/

I've only had this problem once before - I think it was yesterday and I panicked and just turned off the computer at the switch. Restarted, everything was fine and the toolbar &desktop was there. Today it was working fine until I turned it on about 2 hours ago

I've seen something like this once but could not fix it, however try the following. At the blank desktop (just wallpaper) bring up task manager ctrl-alt-delete. You should see some tasks but explorer.exe is missing.

Click new task, enter explorer.exe and press enter. The rest of the desktop will load, icons, taskbar and menubar. You now have a chance to fix whats wrong.
If you can run a scan with either SysInternals autorun of HijackThis this will be your best chance, compare each running task with google, you may be able to pinpoint the cause(s).

You may however be able to create a new user in control panel with admin rights and copy your files across from the old account to the new account.
I'm not sure exactly where in the boot process explorer.exe is called from, but your machie has been compromised, and sometimes its easier to format and reinstall.

The machine I had a look at for a friend also had a folder on the root C: drive just called ! This folder contained hundreds of p0rn type avi's but worse still refused to be delted recreating itself on reboot. Check for any strange folder names called ! may also be worth you running msconfig and hecking the contents of win.ini system.ini, startup services and programs.
Good luck.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-with-user-accounts-no-taskbar-no-explorer-exe-no-desktop-icons-273358.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi All I have about computers running in a domain envirnoment All are winxp pro sp or better The server in Windows sp What I ve been experiencing is when a user logs in sometimes explorer doesn t start Its very random I can t find a pattern I just have the user ctrl-atl-del log off and log back in and all is doesn't desktop or Explorer start, icons - Symantec No taskbar fine We are running Symantec AV is what is installed on each pc I know this Symantec - Explorer doesn't start, No desktop icons or taskbar is the cause of the problem because of reasons I uninstalled Symantec AV and the Symantec - Explorer doesn't start, No desktop icons or taskbar issue disappeared Also I just upgraded one client from SAV to SEP and the same thing just started to happen with them I know others on the net have encounted the same thing but I have yet seen the fix Here s a link that someone else posted http forums techguy org newthread php do newthread amp f Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Lloyd nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

so i have to use the CTRL+ALT+Del (Windows Task Manager) to control my applications. i tried typing in 'explorer.exe' but it came up as missing and when i try to restart in safe mode, it doesnt exist. my computer works just fine except its a huge hassle to have to find all the applications.

What do i do??

A:my computer deleted 'explorer.exe' and now the taskbar, desktop icons are missing...

Wish I could help but I've had exactly the same problem for several weeks now. Trawled through many support groups and google pages but without any joy. Task Manager is growing onme...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/my-computer-deleted-explorer-exe-and-now-the-taskbar-desktop-icons-are-missing-417709.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I am using win7 x64 along with foxit reader v3.0
how to get pdf thumbnails in windows explorer?

A:pdf thumbnails in windows explorer??

Yeah... I upgraded to Win7 64-bit RC form Vista and this is one annoying change.. I miss the thumbnail PDF previews too. Someone help!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/19388-pdf-thumbnails-windows-explorer.html
Relevancy 61.49%

My original problem was this: whenever I double-clicked on a thumbnail in Windows Explorer, the picture would open up in Paint Shop Pro but when I wanted another picture to come up in the PSP application that was already open, it would open up another PSP instead.

I thought I found a solution to this after looking online (can't remember exactly what it was now but I entered something in start, run) only now I have another problem because I can't view any thumbnails in Windows Explorer.

Can anyone help me get my thumbnails back and also solve my problem with PSP opening up lots of times for every photo I want to view? Thanks! :wave:

A:Thumbnails in Windows Explorer

Okay, I've found a solution to the thumbnails not showing up - did start, run and then regsvr32 thumbvw

I'm still having several PSP's opening up when I want to view several pictures though... any ideas anyone? Please?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/thumbnails-in-windows-explorer.31356/
Relevancy 61.49%

For all my photos, unless I view them in "Windows Photo Gallery which is inconvenient -- I want to view them in Windows Explorer, I do not see real true thumbnails, I just see this default scene of water, green hills and sky. I have followed the instructions here Thumbnails in Windows Explorer here Default Programs - Program Default Associations (tho I wasn't thrilled about making Windows Photo Gallery my default program for JPG, I followed these instructions anyhow). I NEVER had a problem like this in XP. I'm beginning to understand why Vista has such a bad reputation. Using (or attempting to use) Vista Home Premium 64-bit, BTW, (much less important question) why doesn't my Photoshop Elements even show up as an option when I set default programs? Any help is appreciated. This problem was annoying before but to still have it after going thru all these forum instructions is really annoying.

A:Thumbnails in Windows Explorer

Hello Angelag, and welcome to Vista Forums.

You can use Open With on the file type and browse to the Photoshop Elements exe file to have it open the file type with that program by default instead.

Have you checked the View settings in Windows Explorer to see if it is set to either Medium Icons, Large Icons, or Extra Large Icons to see a thumbnail preview of the file image as the icon?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/200104-thumbnails-windows-explorer.html
Relevancy 61.06%

When I open Windows Explorer I and go to my Picture File, the Thumbnails don't always show correctly. I can open Windows Explore and see no Thumbnails displayed but if I open another copy, it's better but not all come up. I have multiple folders, some display no thumbnails (a blank white sheet), others show a few and others show more. I also get a green bar at the top that never finishes. Sometimes, I open Explorer, and if I try to expand the Folder Tree on the left panel it won't expand, The Files are on an External Flash Drive. I've tried many troubleshooting searches for the problem so yes, I have the Folder Option, "View" set to "Display thumbnails." This is a recent problem. One last thing, the computer seems as it's freezing and not updating the thumbnails, but currently the CPU usage is only 4% under Task Manager.

A:Windows Explorer not showing Thumbnails

Did you make any changes to your Windows Operating System recently? Sounds like the aftermath of a "tune up" that went wrong.

That being said, the data that has no thumbnails.... can you open them and view the data, I'm curious to know if it's corrupted.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/563883/windows-explorer-not-showing-thumbnails/
Relevancy 61.06%

Not matter how many times I let Explorer build the thumbnails, after any reboot or shutdown/power-on the thumbnails get erased and I have to rebuild them again. It happens with all images and videos the same. Any idea why is this happening?

IMO, Windows 8 is definitely cool, but it has some rough edges that should've been ironed out before prime time.

A:Windows Explorer Thumbnails not getting saved

I too experience these behaviour. everytime I open Explorer (File Explorer on Windows 8) it always loads the thumbnails it doesn't save...

any ideas guys?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/8865-windows-explorer-thumbnails-not-getting-saved.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Good morning all..

How do i look at the actual images when i choose thumbnails in windows.

I used to be able to see the pictures when i chose the thumbnail options, but all i see now is the type of icon they are. for ex. the gif or jpeg icon.

I don't know if i did something or not.

Thanks.
ck

A:Viewing thumbnails in windows explorer

http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/thumbnails.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viewing-thumbnails-in-windows-explorer.291249/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi I have been fighting with this since I purchased this notebook with Windows Updating thumbnails in Explorer Windows in I do a lot of photo editing I may have around K image files on my computer When I am doing a lot Updating thumbnails in Windows Explorer of editing a problem arises as the thumbnails do not update in window explorer So if I am working on Updating thumbnails in Windows Explorer several images and will open and reopen files if I have made an improvement on a file the thumbnail will not update and it gets confusing trying to find a picture that I have just edited I have sought suggestions on this issue a dozen different times When I troll through forums this is a common problem Here's a spoiler alert cleaning the thumbnail cache does not fix the problem Matter of fact here is a classic cookbook recipe on how to fix this from another forum http www sevenforums com tutorials Updating thumbnails in Windows Explorer -thumbnail-cache-clear-reset html As usual the answer is never found and the solutions move from the sublime to the ridiculous Since Bleeping is my favorite stop I thought I would seek an answer here rather than letting Google find another false positive to my question Thanks

A:Updating thumbnails in Windows Explorer

My experience is that the thumbnails reflected by Explorer view...only update when the folder/Explorer window is opened. 

I suppose that using a photo album, rather than explorer, might result in the desired updated images you seek.

I tend to give any edited image a new filename, keeping track of them in that manner while also retaining my originals.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/545422/updating-thumbnails-in-windows-explorer/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi
Is there a way to view HDR's as thumbnails in Windows Explorer, seems you need to download the latest Directx SDK
I have Direct x11:
Operating System: Windows 7 ?dition Int?grale 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 880 @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 12248MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Graphic: Geforce GTX 460

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much for your time

A:Is there a way to view HDR's as thumbnails in Windows Explorer

I don't see how DirectX is involved in displaying HDR images. Where are you getting that notion?

What are the extensions on the files you are trying to thumbnail?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/134355-there-way-view-hdrs-thumbnails-windows-explorer.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I'm getting more and more used to Windows 7. Generally I like to see everything as files and folders; I don't care to see photos as thumbnails. I like to see file name (with extension), size, date, etc. How do I do this in windows 7.

Thanks.

A:windows explorer: want file name not thumbnails

use details view?

File and Folder Arrangement - Change in Windows Explorer Window

Folder View - Set a Default for All Folders

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/91803-windows-explorer-want-file-name-not-thumbnails.html
Relevancy 61.06%

When I click on thumbnail view in windows explorer I don't see the pictures just the name of the file and a placeholder?

A:Viewing thumbnails in windows explorer

What OS?

See if the link to restore thumbnails on the right side of this page helps...

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

buck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viewing-thumbnails-in-windows-explorer.294025/
Relevancy 60.2%

I have Win 7 64-bit machine and all of a sudden some image file thumbnails show, and some do not. I have logged in as a different user on the machine and problem still occurs. Other machines on my network do not have this problem. I have tried the following below, but still no fix. Any suggestions without having to wipe the machine?

1. Folder Options: Always show icons, never thumbnails is unchecked
2. Disk cleanup
3. Reset Folders

A:Windows Explorer: Some image thumbnails do not load.

Hello WonderBot,

You might see if clearing and resetting the thumbnail cache may be able to help if it may have gotten corrupted.

Thumbnail Cache - Clear and Reset

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/329537-windows-explorer-some-image-thumbnails-do-not-load.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hullo Tech Support Guy forum members So I Explorer, Covering Windows Text Thumbnails ve been having this issue for a while and decided that it s finally time I went and found a solution to fixing it A quick search in both these forums and Google in general didn t bring up anything relevant--I may have been using wrong keywords of course--but I figured I d post here and see if anyone can readily Windows Explorer, Thumbnails Covering Text help me out Here is the issue click to view full As you can see in explorer for some reason if I have Thumbnails chosen as my file viewing method the Thumbnail will cover up the file name This is rather irritating as might be evidenced by the second screenshot Obviously how am I to know which file is which if I can t see the image nor read its name I ve attempted fixing it already by going to quot Personalize gt Window Color and Appearance gt Open classic appearance properties for more color options gt Advanced gt Icon Spacing Vertical quot and then modifying the value to something greater but it has no effect at all doesn t move the icons nor get them to stop covering each other up Anyway any and all Windows Explorer, Thumbnails Covering Text assistance would be terrific and thank-you for taking a look at this PS This overlap issue occurs in Windows Explorer Open Save and other dialog boxes Pretty much anywhere where there is a Thumbnail viewing mode nbsp

A:Windows Explorer, Thumbnails Covering Text

Hi,

See if switching to Classic theme and then back to the original theme helps. If that does not work, follow these steps:

Press WinKey+R to bring up the Run menu.
Type the following command and hit ENTER:

CMD /C REG QUERY "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics" |CLIP

The output is copied to the clipboard. Paste the data along with your reply.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-thumbnails-covering-text.906235/
Relevancy 60.2%

Things I've tried:

1. I have Haali Media Splitter installed (from CoreAVC) options>>explorer integration (yes)>>Thumbnails offset (10000)
2. WMP Playback Pack
3. DivX Preview

None of those worked. I'm running Windows 7 Professional. The KMPlayer is the default to play my MKV files (works great), but I can change that to Windows Media Player if needed to show the details and thumbnails. Any suggestions?

And I can't install DivX Plus Codec Pack like other people have recommend because my laptop isn't connected to the internet (no wireless). To install the other things I've just put the installer on a USB and then installed them from the USB onto my laptop.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/406395/how-to-get-thumbnails-and-details-for-mkv-files-in-windows-explorer/
Relevancy 60.2%

well, i think i remember in windows xp that whenever you had pictures in any folder, and you were in that folder using windows explorer, that you were able to see a thumbnail of the actual picture IN the folder....

but in windows vista, and now in windows 7 (i upgraded a while ago), i'm not able to see the thumbnail of the actual picture itself....all i see inside the pictures folder (or any folder with pics for that matter), is a little thumbnail of a blue mountain...

i have a bunch of pictures, and i dont like having to click on every single one until i find the one i'm looking for....it VERY inconvenient and time consuming.

so, does anyone know how to fix this? make it so i can see thumbnails of the ACTUAL PICTURE, and not of a blue mountain for every single picture?

A:How do i see picture thumbnails in Win7 Windows Explorer??

See this tutorial http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11738...ble.html?filter[2]=File Folder SettingsIn your pictures library, set your view to medium icons.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/344124/how-do-i-see-picture-thumbnails-in-win7-windows-explorer/
Relevancy 60.2%

It first started to happen only in my pictures but now has occurred in my documents or any other folder with pics or videos. If I view files in list view everything is ok but I don't like this view. When my documents open in thumbnail view, it takes only a few second for that "we are sorry for the inconvenience" message to show up and so I press don't send which closes windows explorer. I copied all files in my documents into a external hard drive and the same thing happened.

Is there a corrupt file causing this? is so then how do I find it. I have tried scannow in cmd which didn't work.

Or is the problem with windows xp files?

thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-crashes-when-thumbnails-load.771724/
Relevancy 60.2%

They used to. Now all that appears when View is set to "thumbnails" is the Adobe PDF icon.

I used both Jaws PDF Creator and Acrobat 6 to create the PDFs, still no thumbnails appear in Windows Explorer, or in PowerDesk.

What might be the problem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pdfs-do-not-show-thumbnails-in-windows-explorer-6.707363/
Relevancy 60.2%

Windows explorer on my system cannot display all the thumbnails my photo folder. When the pictures are copied to a newly created folder, all are initially shown. However when I access the folder later, a lot of the thumbnails are gone : only the default
icons are shown.
I have set folder options to Always show icons, never thumbnails.
I have even tried deleting the thumbnail cache and rebuilding the cache but to no avail.
Could anyone help me on this please?
Thanks.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e6fb7ee4-0de0-4628-bf67-3e5711a53fe0/windows-10-explorer-thumbnails-not-fully-showing?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi all, I once was able in my previous Windows 7 PC to set Windows Explorer to be able to show the cover image (first page) of an ebook when Windows Explorer was set to Thumbnail View.

For PDF format I applied this fix, for mobi this one, but now I need to also extend thumbnail view to djvu and epub ebook formats, and I don't recall how I managed to do it in Windows 7. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks.

(since I have a backup of my previous Windows 7 PC, is there a way to export the corresponding registry keys and import them in my current Windows 8.1 PC?)

A:Windows explorer cover image thumbnails for ebooks

Hello, sorry for the late reply.
If you want to integrat your ebook into windows, like thumdnails, metatags on explorer, you can modify it with some Tool, check here (un french but easy) : Int?grer ses eBooks (ePub) aux biblioth?ques Windows | JuneTwo

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/48644-windows-explorer-cover-image-thumbnails-ebooks.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I keep hearing MS people saying that if you move to win your only option to deal with any gripes you might have with it s way of doing things is to just cope with Folder Windows Preview XP Thumbnails - style? Explorer them Well now aint Windows Explorer Folder Preview Thumbnails - XP style? that some way to spoil your customers Heres what I ve got folders with images and I do a lot of sorting and moving around and when I used XP I could see little fancy tumbnail previews of the Windows Explorer Folder Preview Thumbnails - XP style? images inside the folder ON the folder icon Windows does this too but in an inept I-need-to-be-different-for-differents-sake kinda way Now why the heck would MS want to go changin stuff around that aint needin no changin around I wonder Then I wonder if theres somewhere I can change this around to a practical setting but soon realize theres no such setting anywhere hence I ve arrived here Is there a hack tool whatever around someplace that will let me fix Windows Explorer tomake it useful to me once again

A:Windows Explorer Folder Preview Thumbnails - XP style?

Quote: Originally Posted by Jangofett

I keep hearing (MS?) people saying that if you move to win7 your only option to deal with any gripes you might have with it s way of doing things, is to just cope with them.

Well now, aint that some way to spoil your customers!

Heres what.

I ve got folders with images and I do a lot of sorting and moving around and when I used XP I could see little fancy tumbnail previews of the images inside the folder, ON the folder icon.

Windows 7 does this too but in an inept, I-need-to-be-different-for-differents-sake kinda way.

Now, why the heck would MS want to go changin stuff around that aint needin no changin around I wonder.

Then I wonder if theres somewhere I can change this around to a practical setting but soon realize theres no such setting anywhere.

... hence I ve arrived here.

Is there a hack/tool/whatever around someplace that will let me fix Windows Explorer tomake it useful to me once again?

What's wrong with the way Windows 7 folders display their pictures?

I've actually found that it works pretty well when I have my thumbnails set somewhere between "Large Icons" and "Extra Large Icons":

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/126251-windows-explorer-folder-preview-thumbnails-xp-style.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I got a new computer with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and I find it very annoying that in all the Open File dialog boxes and even Windows Explorer there does not seem to be a selection under the View menu to show thumbnails of image files. Even when I select Contents and highlight the file it still only shows a generic icon. Can anyone please tell me if there is a way to fix this?

Thanks for any help

A:No Thumbnails in Open File Dialogs or Windows Explorer - Why??

Hello David, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Double check using the tutorial below to make sure that you have thumbnail previews enabled.Thumbnail Previews - Enable or Disable
If you do, then double check to make sure that you have Windows Photo Viewer set as the default program with all of it's associations.Default Programs - Set a Program's Default Associations
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/280577-no-thumbnails-open-file-dialogs-windows-explorer-why.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi All:

I have Windows 7 Home Premium and there is no gpedit.msc for this version. How to I turn "on" the thumbnails in my version?

Thanks,

MS

A:How to Get Taskbar Thumbnails On

Right-click desktop > Personalize > Select one of the themes under "Aero Themes"

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/137377-how-get-taskbar-thumbnails.html
Relevancy 58.91%

You know how you can put your mouse over programs and things in the Notification area, and the thumbnails come up with the name of the program? Yeah...It's popping up behind the Taskbar. How do I get it in front again? THanks.

Relevancy 58.91%

I just installed the Windows 7 full version Home Premium on my Dell XPS M1530 32bit, which previously had Vista.

I noticed in the little booklet that came with software that when you hold your mouse over an icon in the taskbar (internet explorer, for example), it should bring up little thumbnail pictures of what you have open. However, when I do that, I just get a list. I would much rather have the pictures, because I think that would be quicker for me to remember which page was which. I've putzed around trying to figure out how to change that, but can't find it.

Any suggestions?

A:Taskbar thumbnails ... how do I get them?

i think you shuld check this out:

Taskbar Thumbnail Previews - Enable or Disable

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/110351-taskbar-thumbnails-how-do-i-get-them.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I found no solution in Windows Explorer's View menu, Options, and Help.

I would suspect it was due to me shutting down some 'process' or 'service' (2 weeks ago), but as far as I can see, all possibly-relevant processes and services are now running.

A related issue was raised by someone else and responded to by me here: Can't Rate Media in Explorer (Vista Home).

Quote:

A few days ago I was able to rate my mp3's and videos in Windows Explorer (0 to 5 star ratings), at the bottom of the window pane. You give it a rating, hit the save button, and there you go! But now I can't anymore.

I'm using:
Vista Home Premium SP1

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/thumbnails-and-details-section-not-appearing-at-bottom-of-windows-explorer-342007.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi all
(I'm italian, excuse me for my bad english).
I have a pc with windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I have a problem with some icons on taskbar: sometimes some applications are displaying the wrong icons, sometimes, as you can see (screenshot), I don't see some icons: sometimes a few are missing (this time I have 8 icons of about 20!).

If I restart my pc, some icons return, but many still missing or are wrong!

So I launched this tool from microsof (I think it rebuilt icon cache, but I'm not sure): In Windows le icone vengono modificate in modo non corretto
but it doesnt' fix the problem, see this screenshot after using this tool from microsoft:

now as you can see some applications are displaying the wrong icons and 2 icons are still missing ...is there any fix for this problem? thanks!!

Vittorio.

A:problem with icons on taskbar (wrong icons or missing icons)

perhaps the fixit from microsoft may help...

System icons do not appear in the notification area in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 until you restart the computer

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/283833-problem-icons-taskbar-wrong-icons-missing-icons.html
Relevancy 58.48%

When ever I open up more than one internet explorer window the thumb nail icons on the task bar are on top of each other and I don't like having to hover my cursor over them and then try to find which IE to open. Is there a way to get back the old XP style thumb nail previews where they are actually seperate on the task bar?

A:Annoying thumbnails on taskbar

Hi sinebar and welcome to Windows 7 Forums

Taskbar Button Grouping - Enable or Disable

Right click on a blank area of the taskbar and click on Properties. Ensure that the option Taskbar buttons: is set as shown in the attached image.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/40168-annoying-thumbnails-taskbar.html
Relevancy 58.48%

When you hover over a program icon in the Windows 7 taskbar, it pops up thumbnails for each of the windows of that program that you have running. I like this feature.

However, the order of these icons (L to R) is not constant - it seems to change according to which windows you've had open most recently. Is there any way to prevent this? I have tried right clicking and pinning them, however the order still rearranges.

Is there a way to prevent this?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/418587/taskbar-thumbnails-keep-rearrangin/
Relevancy 58.48%

hi i'm new here and i don't know if this belongs here but basically my computer crashed i brought it to a computer repair guy who reformatted my computer windows bit home premium laptop I did not have my windows disc but i had my showing taskbar up? thumbnails not key so he used his home premium disc and my key but now its working perfectly fine but the problem is that the taskbar doesn't show thumbnails when I hover taskbar thumbnails not showing up? over the icons anymore it used to before my computer crashed and i know my computer's graphics are capable of doing so i'm too lazy to make screenshots but if what i said didn't make sense I found a link with some pictures http helpdeskgeek com windows- windows- -taskbar-not-showing-thumbnail-previews taskbar thumbnails not showing up? but the link doesn't really tell me how to taskbar thumbnails not showing up? fix it it says something about changing the registry but do i really need to do that it sounds kind of scary lol ahh so frustrating im basically getting the quot text descriptions quot as seen in the link and the computer repair guy is kind far away from where i live any help

A:taskbar thumbnails not showing up?

Is your aero theme turned on?
right click your desktop > personalize > scroll up to aero themes section and select one.

It's possible you don't have your drivers installed, but i'd hope a shop would have the forethought to install your drivers after a format.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/130192-taskbar-thumbnails-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Usually the taskbar thumbnails appear just a second after I hover the mouse on it. But now it stuck somehow. The thumbnails do not appear after I hover on it, nothing happens. To make it appears, I have to switch to one or two more windows and then hover back one the taskbar.
I really don't think that it happen to just a specific program...

A:Problem with Taskbar Thumbnails

The same thing happened to me after i installed Skype, do you have Skype installed?

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/30909-problem-taskbar-thumbnails.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Just noticed today that on hovering in the taskbar, thumbnail previews don't show but just a line of text. This has started from a couple of days. In between, randomly, the preview will show up. But mostly it is not over the past couple of days.

Any ideas?

8.1 Pro x64

A:Taskbar thumbnails disappeared.

Hello Pratnala,

Do you have the latest video driver installed, or changed themes recently?

Taskbar Thumbnail Previews - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

Since this only started a couple of days back, you could see if doing a system restore using a restore point dated before this started may help.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/34952-taskbar-thumbnails-disappeared.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I am no longer able to set .jpg files as the background image I only get a black desktop bacground if I do so (.bmp works alright), further the pictures folder & all other folders which used to show a thumbnail preview no longer do so I just see the file name preceded by a blank placeholder.

I have a problem similar to this thread
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/695391-vista-wont-display-picture-thumbnails.html

But this thread seems to have been closed without a proper solution.

Apart from this I also have a problem with online videos, i do not hear anything ! there is no audio being played with youtube, ..... . Actually windows media player & vlc player work fine but the startup sounds/ alerts no longer seem to be heard, even when the volume is increased i do not hear a thing (the usual beep sound is gone)

What should have gone wrong ?

Thanks for the help,

Regards,
Natarajan

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/background-image-is-a-black-screen-thumbnails-wont-show-up-on-windows-explorer.911119/
Relevancy 57.62%

Is there is a way to do this.
Before when I was on Windows XP,I was using a program called VisualTaskTips which had an option to display a preview of the window like here in Win7 and I had an option to choose how fast to see the preview once I point over the taskbar button(for the window).
The preview was set to be displayed instantly(it really was instantly)and when I move the mouse to another button in the taskbar,I had a preview of the next window instantly.

Currently on Win7 there is a delay before showing the window(I fix that with some guide from here...don't remember the link),delay before showing the next window when I move the mouse and kinda long delay before closing the preview window.

A:Show taskbar thumbnails as fast as possible?

How to Adjust Taskbar Thumbnail Delay Time in Windows 7 - AskVG

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/356207-show-taskbar-thumbnails-fast-possible.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Basically, instead of showing a list of thumbnail icons like it is supposed to when the program is grouped;

instead it just changes to the most recently opened window, I've tried restarting explorer.exe with no avail.

A:Taskbar Thumbnails Strange Behaviour

Try using an age-old trick, just follow this tutorial and tell us the results when the scanner has verified your system files

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/294430-taskbar-thumbnails-strange-behaviour.html
Relevancy 57.62%

You know the little preview you get when you hover over an icon on the taskbar? Well mine stopped working for some reason. I don't see anything obvious where you right click and go to properties, and I don't really know where else to look. Could a virus cause this? I ran a scan with avast! and came up with nothing.edit: also, I think the problem may have started after using this screensaver http://download.cnet.com/Classic-Stars-Screensaver/3000-2257_4-10920966.html but I uninstalled the screensaver and still have the problem so I'm not sure.

A:Taskbar thumbnails quit working.

Use System Restore to wind back the clock to a time prior to installing the screensaver, or to a time when yiu know the PC was working properly: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/452551/taskbar-thumbnails-quit-working/
Relevancy 57.62%

This may be a stupid question, but is there any way to make the taskbar thumbnails appear faster? There's a 1-2 second delay which I find very annoying when I want to open a specific window of a program (and while I know I can click, I also find that very annoying... I guess I'm picky).

A:any way to make taskbar thumbnails appear faster?

Indeed, you can simply click it But I know how you feel, since I tend to wait as well. I guess there must be some registry key to change this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/1823-any-way-make-taskbar-thumbnails-appear-faster.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi all I have followed various guides on the internet to achieve this but it does not seem to work I have found I like my task bar to be big icons and always combine no labels I think this is pretty default I used to use a high non combine task bar in WinXP but anyway But when have e g mulitple windows open and I click the taskbar icon I want a Text list of my open windows not the Thumbnails If I open e g windows I How taskbar disable to buttons thumbnails on get what I want Please see pictures If you look at the thumbnail image you will see it is nearly impossible to tell actually which window is which as they all look the same and Windows helpfully cuts of the title of the window How ever if I open a couple more windows I get a nice text list that lets me choose exactly what I want How do I get a text list ALL THE TIME I have diabled Aero Peek in the taskbar property setting but I beleive this is just for Desktop only I have rad that disabling it in Computer properties -- see attached screen shot should fix it but I have done this restarted and it's still showing me thumbnails How do I fix this Cheers all

A:How to disable thumbnails on taskbar buttons

I downloaded UWT tools and disabled thumbnails on Taskbar but this just removed the 'hover thumb' - which is somethign I didn't mind. I still get the thumbs when I click the button. problem still unsolved. Any ideas?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/303753-how-disable-thumbnails-taskbar-buttons.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi. I apologize if this has been asked before, but I've just gotten a new pc with Windows 7. Love it, but really do not like the taskbar icons that pop up when I hover over an item on the desktop. Is there a way to remove this feature? Also, sometimes, (for no apparent reason I can see, I get this "transparent" square on my desktop. It goes away, but what causes it?

Many thanks for your help.

A:Windows 7 taskbar icons

Welcome!

For your first question, see here: Taskbar Thumbnail Previews - Enable or Disable

Your second issue almost sounds like Aero Peek. It occurs when you hover your mouse over a certain button in your taskbar.

To disable it, see here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/72792-windows-7-taskbar-icons.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hey,
I have a problem with the taskbar icons on Windows 7 Ultimate x32.
The problem is when I cruise over the icons they appear like this

So, how can I get to view it like a window?

Here's a screenshot of my display adapter

and a snapshot of my system properties

Many Thanks,

A:Windows 7 taskbar icons

Are you using an Aero Theme?

Check your "Personalize" settings.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/255984-windows-7-taskbar-icons.html
Relevancy 57.62%

windows 10 icons some not showing some showing in taskbar I click on and off on the icon why would this be ?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/windows-10-icons-in-taskbar-1147873.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi all, hope you can help. Ok, in Windows 7, when changing the desktop pic, you could see thumbnails of the pics you wanted to select. In Windows 10, I could only see file icons for the pics. I have now fixed this and I can seee the thumbs to choose a desktop pic. All well and good, BUT, I now have thumbnails of pics on my desktop that previously were just icons. I'd rather have just icons on my destop not thumbs. So, is it possible to have different views for different parts of the computer - ala Windows 7? Or is my choice, ALL icons / ALL thumbnails?

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-10-a/129984-icons-thumbnails.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi all, hope you can help. Ok, in Windows 7, when changing the desktop pic, you could see thumbnails of the pics you wanted to select. I have fixed this in windows 10, all well and good, BUT, I now have thumbnails of pics on my desktop that previusly were just icons. I'd rather have just icons on my destop not thumbs. So, is it possible to have different views for diffeent parts of the computer - ala Windows 7? Or is my choice, ALL icons / ALL thumbnails?

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/53320-icons-thumbnails.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I logged into my computer this morning and the screen was blue although I could still see my house and move it around I can also do Ctrl Alt Delete to access the Task Manager when I and icons missing manager, missing on task taskbar explorer.exe don t see the explorer exe I know its supposed to be there but its not I tried to manually start it by going to file new task and running it but it explorer.exe missing on task manager, icons and taskbar missing only explorer.exe missing on task manager, icons and taskbar missing runs for maybe seconds enough to see the icons on the desktop and the task bar then they disappear I searched online for a few answers but no real help Im using another PC because I explorer.exe missing on task manager, icons and taskbar missing cant access the internet with my laptop that is have the problems I was able to run hijackthis and put it on a thumb drive so I could post it here Any help would greatly be appreciated thanks I have ran ad aware and avast and both found something but didn t fix it I also posted this on http www techsupportforum com Thanks Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software bin btwdins exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast aswUpdSv exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashServ exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Logitech Easy Synchronization servicestub exe C Program Files Logitech Easy Synchronization LogitechEasySync exe C Program Files Common Files New Boundary PrismXL PRISMXL SYS C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Viewpoint Common ViewpointService exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashMaiSv exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashWebSv exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Viewpoint Viewpoint Manager ViewMgr exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http home peoplepc com search R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www whynotsearchhere com start php R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant http home peoplepc com search R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local O - HKLM Run SynTPLpr C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe O - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe O - HKLM Run Reminder WINDIR Creator Remind XP exe O - HKLM Run Recguard WINDIR SMINST RECGUARD EXE O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run Bart Station C Program Files PeoplePC ISP BIN PPCOLink exe -STATION O - HKLM Run avast C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exe O - HKLM Run Kernel and Hardware Abstraction Layer KHALMNPR EXE O - HKLM Run Easy Synchronization C Program Files Logitech Easy Synchronization LogitechEasySync exe O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime QTTask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Pro... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/explorer-exe-missing-on-task-manager-icons-and-taskbar-missing.712861/
Relevancy 57.19%

i saw its possible in some program but i don't remember what.
i want to lower the time it takes to thumbnails to show up when i hover a taskbar icon.
i know for sure it's possible. can anybody direct me to the registery value to change?

A:changing the taskbar thumbnails reaction time

Aero Peek - Change Delay Time to Preview Desktop

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/21404-changing-taskbar-thumbnails-reaction-time.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Not sure if this is a browser (latest Firefox) or Windows problem, so I'll describe the issue here.

All my program shortcuts are placed on the taskbar. The problem I'm about to describe and show, only occurs with the Firefox taskbar icon and its preview thumbnails. And will happen whether one or multiple tabs are on the tab bar. When hovering the cursor over FF's tab bar icon, and then hovering (and not clicking) the cursor over a tab's preview thumbnail, FF's window will now show several tiled FF's with the present thumbnails site on top. But, now clicking on that thumbnail, the site will open as a single site...with no evidence of the other apparently opened FF's. This only happens with the FF taskbar icon's thumbnail and not with any of the other icons on the bar.

Here are some captures of this odd occurrence:

http://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/51162-weird-taskbar-icon-thumbnails-firefox.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hello, I am new to Vista 64, Enterprise. I have turned off the flip 3D, but I still will get the items that are in the task bar to suddenly decide that I have forgotten about them. They will stop me from what I was working on by jumping up on the desktop in thumbnails. I will click on the one I want and it will come back as before. Example: I fly MS Flight Simulator. I also have TrackerIR4 and Voice Buddy minimized in the task bar working in the background. I am flying and for no particular reason one of them will pop up and stop the game until I minimize it again. Please, how do I stop this. I want to be the only one making the decision to un-minimize an item in the task bar by clicking on it. I have searched and been unable to find an answer to my problem.

Thanks,

Lynn Fisher

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/223520-stop-files-taskbar-going-thumbnails-desktop.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Please don't shoot me if this has already been posted I couldn't find anything in my searches Anyways amongst my Internet travels looking for another kind of Win tweak I found this Quote Give your Windows a different look The program icons on the Windows by default are situated on the left side on the taskbar next to your Start orb But if you d like them to appear in the center of the taskbar and maybe give it a dock kind of a look Windows to in center How taskbar your 7 icons here is what you need to do Quote Create an empty folder in your Documents folder say MTTB Next right click on the taskbar and unlock it Again right click on it and select Tool bar gt New tool bar Select the empty folder MTTB Now right click on the new tool bar and unchecked Show Text and Show Title Next drag it dotted separator to the left side between the start orb and taskbar icons and release it Center align the taskbar icons Lock the taskbar Thats it source How to center your taskbar icons in Windows The Windows Club

A:How to center your taskbar icons in Windows 7

There's a disadvantage. The left part of your taskbar is visibly darker than the right, plus it's hard to center it JUUUST right.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/19780-how-center-your-taskbar-icons-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I have strange problem, Windows 10 remove little taskbar icons after ALMoST every restart.
Anyone knows why?

https://malwaretips.com/threads/windows-10-removing-taskbar-icons.57606/
Relevancy 56.76%

HI

When i start my PC it runs thru the start up and everything seems normal, windows is starting blue screen, It then goes to my desktop shows the background picture, and a cursor in the middle of the screen, but there are no icons down the left side of the screen, and no taskbar along the bottom. After a moment the task bar flashes up then goes again, I can ctrl/alt/del to get the task manager up, and try to start things in new task but internet will not conect. If i start in safe mode, or safe mode with directory controls(or defaults)cant remember, it start with a black screen in safe mode with small icons, but I can access the internet. any help with this would be much appreciated.

Regards

Jase

A:Windows Fault no icons or taskbar

Before we start fixing anything you should print out these instructions or copy them to a NotePad file so they will be accessible. Some steps will require you to disconnect from the Internet or use Safe Mode and you will not have access to this page.Please download Dr.Web CureIt and save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.alternate download linkNote: The file will be randomly named (i.e. 5mkuvc4z.exe).Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:Double-click on the randomly named file to open the program and click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current versionRead the Virus check by DrWeb scanner prompt and click Ok where asked to Start scan now? Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.The Express scan will automatically begin.
(This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).If prompted to dowload the Full version Free Trial, ignore and click the X to close the window.If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All. (This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)After the Express Scan is finished, put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and uncheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Apply, Ok.Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.Please be patient as this scan could take a long time to complete.When the scan has finished, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.Click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/241260/windows-fault-no-icons-or-taskbar/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi there,

After trying to search for solutions to three problems i came across this amazing site so seeing though i have failed completely was wondering if anyone cane help !!

Task Bar Icons !!!

I cant get rid of Quicktime or Safely Remove Hardware. They are always there !! I have done the Right Click/Customize Notifications and then selected always hide to each but makes no difference !!! I have also made the others i want to see always show and this still doesnt rid me of these pesky icons ?!?!??

Any Ideas !!

Thanks

tich

A:Windows Problem 1/3 !! Getting Rid of Taskbar Icons

scroll down to 'notification area" then click on remove past items. it is a file to change the registry ( remove icons). i have used it myself and it works. link is below. and where i found it is below that.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-problem-1-3-getting-rid-of-taskbar-icons.476387/
Relevancy 56.76%

When I start Windows only the wallpaper shows up there are no icons or task bar This is a newer HP desktop computer only months old and has very little use and almost nothing loaded on it The problem is intermittent Somethings it boots normally with full icons and taskbar but the problem returns in a day or two or the next time I restart the computer I have seen on other posts to check whether quot explorer exe quot is running Have checked Task Manager and it is Antivirus Programs all up to date and run several times with no issues in safe mode Microsoft Security Essentials AVG Malwarebytes CCleaner Have run System Restore to times sometimes will restore to normal for a day or two then problem returns most times still no icons or taskbar Have run System Restore Check Disk Can anyone help When Googled I see this issue with XP computers but not much with Windows x Thanks

A:Windows 7 - There are No Icons or Taskbar on my Desktop

I hope you are not running MSE and AVG at the same time, is not recomended to have to antivirus programs running at the same time.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/228301-windows-7-there-no-icons-taskbar-my-desktop.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Upon Windows XP start up only my wallpaper shows There are no icons no task bar no start menu nothing just a blank screen other than my wallpaper When use control alt delete I am able to pull up the task manager However when I start a new task called explorer exe this does not bring up my taskbar or icons although I do see the taskbar flash visibly for half a second then disappear I tried this solution Just to let everyone know While surfing through the internet I found someone who solved this problem and has a way to fix it There are registry keys in the registry that are causing the problem It affects the explorer exe and iexplorer exe files This is the key that needs to be deleted HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Image File Execution Options explorer exeHKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Image File Execution in missing XP Windows Icons Taskbar and Options Icons and Taskbar missing in Windows XP iexplorer exeOnce these keys are deleted the desktop and internet explorer should come back to life I have gone to the registry and looked for quot explorer Icons and Taskbar missing in Windows XP exe quot and quot iexplorer exe quot in the place specified and found Icons and Taskbar missing in Windows XP neither of those keys I also tried this fix Go to regedit and set HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Winlogon quot Shell quot quot explorer exe quot but the value of the shell already contained quot explorer exe quot I received a message earlier that some files that Windows needs to run were missing damaged so I ran the repair install from my windows xp home CD I have also downloaded and installed several virus programs and run them They did find a delete several viruses and trojans but I still have the same problem This virus is also blocking some of the major antivirus antispyware websites I have been visiting however I have been able to download them via download com since that website does not seem to be blocked When I do install several of the antivirus applications the virus does not allow me to download updated definition files I downloaded HijackThis but whenever I tried to open it and install it after download I'll click HJTInstall exe and it will come up asking me if I would like to run it When I click quot Run quot the window goes away and nothing happens I assume the trojan recognizes the name of this program After downloading HJTInstall exe I went into the Task Manager and started a new task then clicked Browse I went to the desktop where my HijackThis installer was located I then changed the name from HJTInstall exe to some nonsense word like hlep exe Then I was able to run the installer and start HijackThis As an extra precaution I also changed the name of the folder directory in which it installed Example C Program Files hlep instead of C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThisI was able to generate a logfile but could not figure out how to get it off this computer I tried Yahoo mail Gmail yahoo briefcase google docs blogs and my local network -- all different attempts to move the HijackThis log onto another computer but none of them worked I also tried the following solution Microsoft TechNet Forums - vundo trojanhttp social technet microsoft com forums - f f d Hello If you are experiencing the problems named in the topic thread you may be losing your patience and mind by now I picked up this trojan days ago and it has taken me one re-install and that long to fix it Forget the advice from symantec and microsoft - the vundo removers do not work The answer is to install and run 'superantispyware' - this spotted vundo varients immediately removed them and all if working fine I was able to download and install SuperAntiSpyware and manually update the definitions file but I still have the same problem I did delete a file called shmgrate exe from Windows System This file was listed on a Norton webpage as part of the Backdoor Gaster worm ... Read more

A:Icons and Taskbar missing in Windows XP

I don't seem to be able to upload and attach the Attach.txt file, although I do have it available if necessary.

OH! I think it worked this time!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/190834/icons-and-taskbar-missing-in-windows-xp/
Relevancy 56.76%

Does someone know how to remove icons in windows 10 taskbar? I have tried deleting the programs but the icons remain in the taskbar.

A:remove icons in windows 10 taskbar

Originally Posted by rilbet2

Does someone know how to remove icons in windows 10 taskbar? I have tried deleting the programs but the icons remain in the taskbar.

Usually, a right click at the icon > click "unpin from taskbar" will do the trick.

What icons are you referring to ? Please give names of the icons.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/52288-remove-icons-windows-10-taskbar.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi - I hope someone can help When I look at my phone image files through my laptop via USB MTP using Windows I can see some file thumbnails as images those from the DCIM Android folders - DCM images and other JPG images transferred to my phone from my camera but other folders e g the Aviary folder or other third party app adjusted photos or Whats icons as showing Thumbnails App images in IMG format or videos all show as the generic icon rather than thumbnail image weirdly there's one out of hundreds of Whats App files that shows as an image This means file management is virtually impossible I've googled this obviously and can see a that my Folder Option View 'Always show Thumbnails showing as icons icons never thumbnails' is unchecked and b that through advanced system performance Thumbnails showing as icons settings the 'adjust for best appearance button' is pressed and the 'show thumbnails instead of icons' is checked What am I missing Can anyone help me resolve this - Thanks in anticipation

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/42107-thumbnails-showing-icons.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I have most of my movie and pics files stored in a folder in the D: as thumbnails, but when I move cut paste or copy them into the C : they automatically change into Icons and I am not able to make them appears as thumbnails even after selecting the Thumbnail option. Is this the same with everyone, or do I have to make some changes somewhere...... My OS is XP Pro{Mod Edit: Moved from XP to Audio/Video~~boopme}

A:Thumbnails change into Icons . Why ?

File/folder view...is determined by the options set for each respective folder/directory/drive.If you move a file from a folder where the selected option is Thumbnail...to a folder/directory where the selected/default option is Icon, you will get what you describe.If you want to change the view option for that folder/directory, then you can do that.If you want all the options for every folder/file to be the same (I don't recommend this), you can also set this up.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812003Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/185987/thumbnails-change-into-icons-why/
Relevancy 56.76%

NEVER MIND PLEASE DISREGARD I HAVE GOTTEN IT BACK TO SEEING PREVIEWS AGAIN - NOT SURE HOW IT or for Thumbnails Icons Photos GOT CHANGED BUT ANYWAY Icons or Thumbnails for Photos - FIXED wish all of life would straighten out that fast But it probably would not have had I not posted here - I am a strong believer in Murphy's Law and similar unspoken Rules of Engagement In Settings you Must Choose between Thumbnail or Icon - I don't know which is which - all I know is that I have always had my settings to show a preview of the picture - for some reason - and I don't know if this has anything to do with it - I just updated my Firefox and coincidentally enough all I get with my photos is a symbol instead of being able to see what the picture is of I have tried everything I can think of in Windows to change that but am having no luck which means I have to remember what I named the photo to find it Can somebody tell me how to get my a preview instead of a little symbol for my photos please Thx I always have my settings so that I see an actual preview of the picture instead of just a symbol

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/603561/icons-or-thumbnails-for-photos/
Relevancy 56.76%

And one other thing some photos print blank when this happens On two different printers I'll get to that later looked this up on google and it pointed me here but the thread it pointed two is over days old And I'm a big rare fan of Vista but had to reinstall awhile back because of an update Microsoft Sent me a disc copy replacement SP not sure why they included the bit version but oh well I tend to hibernate my computer at night but eventually my thumbnails go missing and so do my icons eventually not showing the thumbnails Little adult in nature Usually my best and Icons Thumbnails Dissapearing bet is to do a control alt delete and shut down explorer and start a new task and another explorer But this is getting annoying Dissapearing Icons and Thumbnails Attaching a couple of examples Usually when this happens when I print a photo of say a celeb pic it prints blank Both on the Canon MP with ink and the Olympus P- via a thermal print which isn't cool when both turn up blank prints for isn't cheap Any ideas I've been running Windows Vista Biz since May and up till about a month ago this started happening about months after reinstalling

A:Dissapearing Icons and Thumbnails

Since this happened a couple of months after you did a re-install. I would do another re-install with all applicable updates. That would eliminate half of a the possible problems.
Regards,
Gil777t

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/271394-dissapearing-icons-thumbnails.html
Relevancy 56.76%

The Problem s My computer recently lost the ability to display both the quot file type icons quot showing AVI HELP My Thumbnails Disappeared! Have Icons AND FLV MKV etc in HELP My Icons AND Thumbnails Have Disappeared! the icon view and quot thumbnails quot in the thumbnail view of all my video files located on my HELP My Icons AND Thumbnails Have Disappeared! hard drive C drive Additionally and separately the video files located on my external hard drive HELP My Icons AND Thumbnails Have Disappeared! WILL display the quot Thumbnail quot without a problem BUT WILL NOT display the icon as it once did either Instead it displays a blank generic system icon for all my video files no matter the quot view quot This is what it looks like The Icon Itself showing on my external and C drive The quot Icon quot File View w file names redacted showing on my external and C drive The quot Thumbnail quot File View w file names redacted showing on my C drive Here s what I would like to know How can I restore or whatever my computer s ability to display quot File TYPE Icons quot such as AVI FLV MKV etc as it once did preferably w o having to perform an entire system restore How can I restore my computer s ability to display quot Photo thumbnails quot of each video when viewed in quot Thumbnail View quot And if I m not PUSHING it by asking this I d also like to be able to quot CHOOSE quot the program my video files associate with in order to display quot File Type Icons quot For example I prefer quot GOM Players quot icon style when displaying my icons In case someone doesn t know what that it GOM Player is just one of MANY free open source media players you can use to watch video s in or music etc The way it USE to work was that whatever the last media player was I installed THAT is the program my computer would use to associate all my file icons with so if I wanted it to be GOM icons I would just install it last If I wanted them to be displayed as DivX icons I would install DivX last you get the picture If I could at least get that capability back that would be good enough for me but if I could set the file icons to STAY which ever way I choose unless I consciously change it that would be my preference The things I have already tried that did NOT work First I tried simply opening a folder with video files in it and going to View gt Thumbnails gt Tools gt Folder Options gt View Tab gt Apply To All Folders Button gt Yes gt OK Didn t help http www kellys-korner-xp com xp tweaks htm Then I was directed to the site linked to above gt scrolled down to Restore AutoPlay Icon Restore Thumbnail views in XP gt clicked it and a exe file for quot autoplayiconrestore quot automatically downloaded When you click on the downloaded program to RUN it from what I was told it is SUPPOSED to open with quot Registry Editor quot and once that opens you should be able to pick the files you need help with displaying I ran it but it didn t open in any sort of program When I double clicked on it expecting for it to open up somewhere or lead me through a wizard of some kind just guessing it didn t This is what it did First Window Second Window Third and Last Window So as you can see it said it was quot successful quot but nothing happened in the way of solving my problem and it didn t open up into the program I was shown screenshots in another forum that it would open into It s probably important to note that this seems to have worked for many people from all the forums I visited that suggested it but it did NOT work for me http support microsoft com default aspx scid kb Ben-us B I went to the Microsoft address linked to above in order to learn how to quot Back up and restore the registry in windows XP quot Maybe I m just mentally challenged and I m not negating that very real possibility but I didn t quite understand HOW this was supposed to help me But many of the sites I visited trying to find a solution to this problem suggested it If someone could explain that I wou... Read more

Relevancy 56.76%

I tried searching this topic with no luck. My apologies as I'm sure this has been asked before.

I need to see my thumbnails. 99% of my files are Photoshops and I need to see them, not the PS icon. I can only find "Show Icons Oly - Not Thumbnails" in my advanced folder settings. How do I do the opposite. Show all thumbnails - not icons? Many thank yous in advance!

A:Newbie (sorry) I don't want icons. I need thumbnails.

Hi there

There are a few free get arounds but these don't seem to work reliably.

64 bit systems particularly give problems -- Adobe stopped the psd file thumbnail integration with Windows (File) explorer a while ago.

A 15 USD solution is available -- normally I always try and find free stuff but if you are doing a LOT of photoshop work with psd files then this seems to me a worthwhile investment. Works with W8 64 bit systems too.

FastPictureViewer Codec Pack: PSD, CR2, NEF, DNG RAW codecs (and more) for Windows 8 Desktop, Windows 7, Windows Vista and XP

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/24424-newbie-sorry-i-dont-want-icons-i-need-thumbnails.html
Relevancy 56.76%

It slows down viewing ... to open an be able to use a folder with 200subfolders ...

I need thumbnails (some free alternative to Mystic Thumbs would be greate)

But mostly on my PC there are no empty folders ... so I don't wanna w8 till all folders show thumbnails inside them

on pic > I want every folder by shown as New folder (one plain icon) and after opening I wanna see all nonfolder icons as thumbnails

A:thumbnails only NON-FOLDER ICONS

Probably this is what you are searching for : Folder Icon - Change Windows 7 Default Folder Icon . But enabling thumbnail preview, You cannot get it Anyway .... another tuto that may be helpful : Thumbnail Previews - Enable or Disable

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/120748-thumbnails-only-non-folder-icons.html
Relevancy 56.76%

i have a some folders with lots of icons or lets say pictures.
so when windows start to make thumbnails it can take some time and
it's quite irritating.

i've noticed, that it only happens when i restart, so when the thumbnails are created they probably stores at some location and after restart they are deleted.

is there a way to save those thumbnails or previews so when i access specific folders they will show right away with no delays?

A:Saving thumbnails or icons.

Sounds like you have some software the runs either on startup or shutdown that is cleaning these things out. Windows by default doesn't delete these things. Unless maybe there is a size limitation of the cache I'm not sure.

Thumbnail Caches are here: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

Icon Cache would be here: C:\Users\Logic\AppData\Local\IconCache.db

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/21959-saving-thumbnails-icons.html