Windows Support Forum

When I hibernate or sleep my laptop, it turns on automatically! helpme

Q: When I hibernate or sleep my laptop, it turns on automatically! helpme

Hi,
my computer turns on automatically after a while
I have no scheduled tasks,
my network card has this option in its properties -> "wake-up capabilities", I set it to "none" , no luck
I even disabled network card; removed the network cable and still no luck
I have done and checked everything I could think of, tried to read the event viewer to see what causes the computer to wake up and found nothing (or I couldn't figure out the cause)
EVEN I turned off all the clocks in home, but still my laptop wakes-up after 10-20 min. I think it's gotten insomnia!!

any suggestions? help? (apart from putting sleep pills into the CD-ROM!!)

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: When I hibernate or sleep my laptop, it turns on automatically! helpme

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: When I hibernate or sleep my laptop, it turns on automatically! helpme

Has this just happened after working OK ?

If yes, you may want to check if you have picked up any nasties i.e malware, virus.

If no, check your settings in BIOS.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/219649-when-i-hibernate-sleep-my-laptop-turns-automatically-helpme.html
Relevancy 82.56%

I use Steam Big Picture Mode to control my PC's frequently. It has an option to put the computer to sleep but not to hibernate. I don't ever use regular sleep mode because my computers always end up waking themselves up and it drains my laptops battery. I've heard that it is possible to set a Windows 7 computer to automatically hibernate after being asleep for a certain amount of time, but I can't figure out how to do this. I tried setting "hibernate after" in my advanced power settings, but this just hibernated the computer after x minutes of inactivity instead of x minutes of sleep, which I do not want. Is there a way to get the computer to automatically hibernate after sleeping for a certain amount of time, or even better some way to eliminate sleep mode altogether and just use hibernate instead?

A:How to automatically hibernate after sleep?

a bat file perhaps ? :

@echo off
echo HIBERNATE
timeout /t 30 /nobreak
shutdown -h -f

(set the timeout to your desire)

or

create a task with the task scheduler utility?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/387513-how-automatically-hibernate-after-sleep.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I am running Vista 64bit and every time i put my PC on sleep mode, it would turn back on automatically in a matter of seconds. How can I fix this?

A:Whenever I put computer to sleep mode, it automatically turns back on immediately

Anybody?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/252541/whenever-i-put-computer-to-sleep-mode-it-automatically-turns-back-on-immediately/
Relevancy 75.25%

Hello ,

Normally i work during the day and when i finish, i just close the lid of the laptop and continue next day.

But recently even though i didnt shut off the computer, and just close the lid, it shuts itself like there is no more battery. All work is in recovery files because of the sudden shut off during the night. however the battery is still full in the morning.

Do you know what is it and how I can fix it?

thank you
Darko

A:My laptop turns off when it is in hibernate mode

Hibernate mode is a power off mode.
Hibernate mode differs from Sleep mode. Sleep mode maintains some power going to the memory to maintain that memory. Hibernate mode saves the complete memory state out to hard drive and once it is all safely stored the power is shut off.

Because Sleep mode does require some power, the disadvantage of it is that if you are running on battery, you will at some time run down the battery and will lose all that you were maintaining in that memory (hope you saved any open files out to disk!).

Because Hibernate mode uses no power, once it has hibernated, there is no time limit. You can put that computer in the closet and pull it out months or years later, turn on the computer will resume right back to where it was prior to putting it into Hibernate.

Either Hibernate or Sleep mode will get your computer state back exactly like it was prior to entering that state.
The only real downside of using Hibernate, over Sleep, is the few additional seconds needed to get into, or out of, Hibernate mode; over the time when using the Sleep mode.

Win7 and Vista, by default, use a modified Sleep mode called Hybrid Sleep. That is where the Sleep mode additionally also stores off the complete memory off to the hard drive (just like it would if you had selected Hibernate) just incase you do accidentally lose power while in Sleep mode. That might happen if you put your computer to Sleep "temporarily" while you go outside to do some chore, and somehow you were gone for the entire day - and your battery got depleted. With Hybrid Sleep you will still have your computer come back once power gets restored. Whew!

Assuming the Sleep power never got lost, using this Hybrid Sleep still will use the faster startup of the maintained memory to get your computer back up. It will only use the slower way of getting memory reloaded from the hard drive (that hibernate file) if it really has to.

So, just in case you still are wondering, your computer is supposed to power off in Hibernate mode. You don't have a problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-laptop-turns-off-when-it-is-in-hibernate-mode.1089979/
Relevancy 71.81%

Since upgrading my Brand New Dell Laptop to Windows 7 my laptop crashed because of itunes. After uninstalling itunes the computer stopped going into sleep, hibernate and even shutting down. When I try sleep or hibernate the screen goes blank but the power button on my Dell Inspiron remains fully lit. On sleep it pulsates and on hibernate it is extinguished. When I try to resume the system does nothing except chirp when i hit the spacebar, shift, or enter keys. When I try to shutdown my computer the screen simply says logging off indefinitely, I have even tried letting it "shut down" over night and nothing happened. I am getting really frustrated with microsoft because I know that Windows 7 is to blame for the problems that are occurring with my NEW computer that had no problems at all until the upgrade that was authorized by Dell after I met all system requirements.

Can anybody help me?????

A:Laptop will not Hibernate, Sleep,

I would start over and get a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 now that you're here at the site which specializes in that.

An Upgrade install is an inferior install, as is any factory preinstalled OS. It's the difference between having the worst possible install of Win7 you can have, or the best one. Your choice.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/295190-laptop-will-not-hibernate-sleep.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hello,

My dell N4030 turns off automatically once it gets overheated. When it's not overheated then its working fine. I'd like to know whether its an hardware issue or I can solve the problem by doing diagnostic. I'm using Windows 10 OS. Pls help me in this issue

A:Laptop turns off automatically on overheat

Hi,
Thank you for writing to us!
We would suggest you to update the BIOS  and then run diagnostics on the system.
Kindly private message the service tag and email address.
Thanks
Robin

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19983567
Relevancy 70.95%

My laptop is getting heated up a lot lately resulting in automatic shutdown.I am geussing it is a problem with the fan inside.How much it might cost for it to get repaired?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Laptop-turns-off-automatically-when-heated/td-p/5622447
Relevancy 70.95%

Dear Mr/Madam,I don't know why my hp laptop turns off automatically when I closed the lid of my laptop or left my laptop 10 mins. Even though, at this time, my laptop did not over heat and my battery was 100%. I tried to change in "Processor power management" but it was still not working. This issue happened 4 days ago, and I had never seen it before. Could you let me know how I can fix it, please? Product name: HP Pavilion x360 ConvertibleOperating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit) P/s: This is a picture how I changed "Processer power management" in my laptop     

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/How-I-can-stop-my-laptop-turns-off-automatically/td-p/5832186
Relevancy 70.95%

Dear Mr/Madam,I don't know why my hp laptop turns off automatically when I closed the lid of my laptop or left my laptop 10 mins. Even though, at this time, my laptop did not over heat and my battery was 100%. I tried to change in "Processor power management" but it was still not working. This issue happened 4 days ago, and I had never seen it before. Could you let me know how I can fix it, please? Product name: HP Pavilion x360 ConvertibleOperating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit) P/s: This is a picture how I changed "Processer power management" in my laptop     

A:How I can stop my laptop turns off automatically

It sounds as if you are actually not making the correct changes.   See the settings in the images below the text. Invoke the control panel to power options. Change what the notebook does when the lid closes. Your notebook may not be shutting down. It may be going into sleep or hibernate mode, depending what the current setting is. You also need to change the display turn off settings and check the percentage of no activity at which time the notebook will turn off, sleep  or hibernate.     

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/How-I-can-stop-my-laptop-turns-off-automatically/td-p/5832186
Relevancy 70.95%

Every time I close my laptop lid (or manually try to enter Sleep or Hibernate mode) my laptop won't re-awaken. When I cycle the power, it tells me that it recovered from an error, details mention a BSOD, so here I am. It's been working fine for months, problem started about two weeks ago, but I can't think of any reason why that would be the case.

Laptop is a HP TouchSmart tm2t
-x64
-original was Windows 7 Home, my brother upgraded it for me to Ultimate
-full retail, I believe
-Laptop is about 6 months old
-OS was installed just after I got it

Thanks!

Edit: Forgot perfmon. Attached.

A:BSOD upon sleep/hibernate for laptop

Update your Wireless adapter drivers Intel? Driver Update Utility

Code:
BugCheck 9F, {3, fffffa8004fbaa20, fffff8000435d518, fffffa800a36f010}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for NETw5s64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for NETw5s64.sys
Probably caused by : NETw5s64.sys
Please remove any CD virtualization programs such as Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120%. They use a driver, found in your dmp, sptd.sys, that is notorious for causing BSODs. Use this SPTD uninstaller when you're done: DuplexSecure - Downloads
You can use MagicDisc as an alternative.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/130937-bsod-upon-sleep-hibernate-laptop.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Dell Precision m Intel Core i - QM GH GB RAM GB Laptop sleep hibernate or doesnt HDD GB SSD w bit so ive gotten this laptop about a year ago since the very start it had this glitchy way Laptop doesnt sleep or hibernate of of hibernating warranty people paid no heed to this since well it was working wasnt it symptoms when i choose sleep screen goes blank but the whole system is wide awake can hear silent windows 'pings' when i click the keyboard same happens on hibernate mode i left it throughout the night like this couple of times and thats exactly how i found it in the morning still this would be less annoying if it could wake up from the blank screen as of now the only way to fix it is pulling the plug and restarting by the way this doesnt always happen - just mostly when ive done some heavy work on it ie i can put it to sleep perfectly fine right after turning it on tried few suggested solutions to this like there could be devices interfering with hibernation programs or drivers might be keeping it awake - so wasnt using wacom tablet for awhile at all or even loading photoshop updated all the drivers and firmwares too problem persisted now im still not sure what is causing it for awhile i thought it might be some weird process that came with shop's windows version so i formatted C solution to all your problems right wrong exactly then i found whole bunch of new ones windows wasnt going to instal the easy way it wasn't enough to format only c laptop demanded i scrap the other drive too something about gpt partition uefis and legacy boot up whatever - cant recall what it was exactly nor what it meant im not much of a technical person tried whole bunch of different bios settings anyway to no awail after whole day of battling there was no way around it - just i didnt format the other drive just pulled it out of computer great success but hibernation issues persist however during that endeavour few lines kind of caught my attention those fancy gpt partitions or settings or whatever that came with the SSD disk have the ability to make computer sleep and wake up more swiftly since then i was thinking - could this be the culprit can this be fixed ps - SSD samsung ssd pm mSATA gb ATA is my main disk that has windows on it standard HDD that they wanted gone is only for data

A:Laptop doesnt sleep or hibernate

Had the same issue when re-imaging a Dell laptop using both W7 32-Bit and W7 64-Bit - Sleep and Hibernate worked fine with the Base drivers that W7 installed then became intermittent and finally stopped working after I applied the latest Drivers.I ended up doing a System Restore and applying and testing drivers individually to identify those that were problematic.Steve O.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518942/laptop-doesnt-sleep-or-hibernate/
Relevancy 70.95%

whenever my laptop is in sleep it goes into hibernation after a period of time.. the only problem i have with this is that the hibernation feature freezes my comp due to a known issue that has no drivers yet

So just give me the steps

A:How do I make my laptop not hibernate when its in sleep

Start>Control Panel>Power Options>Advanced Power options>Sleep>Set hibernate to "Never"

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/37655-how-do-i-make-my-laptop-not-hibernate-when-its-sleep.html
Relevancy 70.95%

My Acer TM TravelMate happily connects to my home network which also contains two desktop computers another larger laptop and a network printer The TravelMate and both desktops run Win Pro to Laptop refusal sleep or hibernate The other laptop which doesn t get much use runs Win Home Premium The TravelMate is a lower power laptop designed for long battery life It has an i processor and has been very successful but takes forever to boot Therefore I usually try to put it to Sleep or tell it to Hibernate rather than Laptop refusal to sleep or hibernate fully shut it down It will always go to sleep or hibernate correctly if neither of the desktop machines is running but if one or other of the desktops is awake about one third of the time the TravelMate hangs while being put to sleep or hibernation The screen goes black and nothing else happens no matter how long it is left Control can then only be regained by holding the power switch off for some seconds One night I experimented by leaving it in the hung state Result totally flat battery next morning I never have the problem When I fully shut the TravelMate down regardless of whether or not the Laptop refusal to sleep or hibernate desktop computers are running When the TravelMate is connected to any other network elsewhere It connects and disconnects automatically with the network at work and has been connected at various times to many private and public networks both locally and overseas I ve never had it refuse to go to sleep or to hibernate Laptop refusal to sleep or hibernate in those situations The larger laptop an Asus has never shown the same problem however it doesn't get used in the house often enough for that to be definitive The TravelMate's behaviour is a real pain Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated

A:Laptop refusal to sleep or hibernate

If this is still the factory install that is the worst possible install of Win7 one can have, larded with bloatware and duplicate utilities that interfere with much better versions built into Win7. I would do what most tech enthusiasts do and Clean Reinstall Windows 7.

Until then you can Clean Up Factory Bloatware to see if it helps.

Sleep issues are mainly Display driver issues so enable Automatically deliver drivers via Windows Update (Step 3) to Check For Updates, install all Important and Optional Updates which may include drivers and patches needed to make your hardware and software run correctly.

If this doesn't resolve the sleep issues then work through the steps for Sleep Mode Problems - Vista Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/355722-laptop-refusal-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi everyone so I have an issue about which I find many results but most of them don't reach a resolution and those that do are inconclusive I after sleep / Laptop can't to 8.1 or upgrade hibernate won't have a Sony VAIO SVT CXS touchscreen ultrabook that came with Windows I followed Sony's guide and Laptop won't / can't hibernate or sleep after upgrade to 8.1 made sure everything was updated according to Windows Update Laptop won't / can't hibernate or sleep after upgrade to 8.1 and VAIO update After upgrading to I then re-checked for updates and updated everything Everything seemed fine until I realized sleep and hibernate don't work With either option the screen Laptop won't / can't hibernate or sleep after upgrade to 8.1 goes off and everything is making noise as if it's working to power down but it stays in this state for roughly whole minutes or more before it finally shuts down When I turn it on I realize it's starting a new session as if it was shutdown Logging into Windows gives me no message of a crash WhoCrashed does see crash dumps though The bugcheck code varies almost with every crash but they all say This was probably caused by the following module ntoskrnl exe nt x F A Bugcheck code x F x x C xFFFFE FA BB xFFFFD C DB again this line varies Error DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE file path C WINDOWS system ntoskrnl exe product Microsoft Windows Operating System company Microsoft Corporation description NT Kernel amp System Bug check description This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem The crash took place in the Windows kernel Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time Around the same time that I started sleeping and hibernating the laptop to note these crashes the laptop became very slow and laggy Startup took forever even shut down took a long time I have resolved this by disabling fast startup in power options I've only restarted times but it seems normal fast and snappy startup and shutdown but still fails to sleep or hibernate powercfg -energy reports the problem that seems to usually cause this or be related Platform Power Management Capabilities PCI Express Active-State Power Management ASPM Disabled PCI Express Active-State Power Management ASPM has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer I cannot change this in BIOS My BIOS settings are very simple virtualization anti-theft boot priority time stuff that's about it I don't know what's on my PCIe but from the VAIO driver webpage I saw the card reader is on PCIe I always have an SD card in there I've already tried sleep and hibernate at least of them with the card out and also after reinstalling the driver that is ready and there's no change The full Powercfg report is attached Hope someone can help me out Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/588844/laptop-wont-cant-hibernate-or-sleep-after-upgrade-to-81/
Relevancy 70.95%

I had a problem with my laptop trying to recover from hibernate mode ("Your computer can't come out of hibernation. Status 0xc000009a") and on researching the issue I decided the hiberfil.sys file was probably corrupted.

So I used command prompt and typed "powercfg -h off" then did a disk cleanup (using CCleaner) then defragged the drive. Rebooted. Then re-enabled hibernate by typing "powercfg -h on".

Made sure all my power management settings were correct, and I had it set to hibernate when I close the lid of my laptop- but it goes into sleep mode.

Any ideas?

A:Laptop goes into Sleep mode, not Hibernate

I suggest opening a command prompt and running powercfg -availablesleepstates.

Make sure hibernate is not one of the unavailable options.

You can also try toggling the settings. Switch the lid close action to sleep, and then turn it back to hibernate.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/68807-laptop-goes-into-sleep-mode-not-hibernate.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I recently replaced Linux on my laptop with Windows 7 and since then I have had a problem that when I put my machine to S3 sleep for a long period, i.e. overnight, I wake up and find that the machine is in hibernate. This is unacceptable to me because I make a habit of writing as soon as I wake up, and the ten minute delay while the machine is coming out of hibernate means that I lose my thoughts. how do I get the machine to stay in S3 sleep?

The machine is a Thinkpad R61i and the third-party battery is showing signs of age, but I always leave the machine plugged into the mains overnight. And as I said, I never had this problem when I was using Linux.

A:I go to bed and laptop is in sleep. I wake up and it is in hibernate.

Yes S4 seems to be a feature in Laptops to save drainage on the Battery ...

How long does it take the Laptop to boot ?

Surely it must be faster that way ?
Have you updated your Ram ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/378746-i-go-bed-laptop-sleep-i-wake-up-hibernate.html
Relevancy 70.95%

No doubt this is a "hardware problem" but here goes:

My hp 6735s laptop (vista) does not wake up from sleep/hibernate if put to sleep/hibernate and left alone for more than 25 minutes. Nothing seems to wake it up, until I restart the computer by pressing down (a good long time) on the power button.

Also, the "Sleep" button on keyboard has no effect whatsoever.

Small detail: I checked control panel -> keyboard, as suggested by one site and notice that my keyboard has no support for a wake fup unction.

A:laptop does not wake from sleep / hibernate

Try changing your sleep settings.

Go to "Control Panel"

Go to "Hardware & Sound"

"Power Options"

You will see such options as "Choose What The Power Buttons Do" & "Choose What Closing The Lid Does." Poke around in here and you should find how to change the sleep settings.

I played around in here the other day. I bet this will help you.

Good luck!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-does-not-wake-from-sleep-hibernate-301932.html
Relevancy 70.95%

For the past few days Windows refuses to shutdown. Everytime I select the sleep, hibernate or shutdown options it will reboot/reawaken straight away. I have tested the RAM which had no problems, I reinstalled Windows completely which didn't help & I checked power settings in BIOS to disable auto-restart. Laptop works fine when on, just refuses to power down - only holding the power button will get it to stop doing anything! Very annoying, can anyone help? Cheers.

A:Laptop will not sleep, hibernate or shutdown

Hello cakefish,
I hope this isn't a virus or some malware. I would force a hard shut down and then after waiting 20-30 seconds then boot into safe mode with networking. Update and run your Anti-virus and Malwarebytes several times and with luck it will pick something up and clean it out of your system.

After re-reading: When you re-installed W7 did you do a clean install where you formatted your drive again?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/229727-laptop-will-not-sleep-hibernate-shutdown.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I just finished dealing with my second hard drive crash in 6 months. One of the things I have been told has been to pay attention to what setting my laptop (Dell Latitude d630, Windows 7 Pro N) is on when I'm moving my laptop between classes, from home to work, etc. I close my laptop without shutting down to open it at a different location many times throughout the day, and I was told that perhaps one of the reasons for my laptop crashing this latest time was because my laptop's hard drive was still on during sleep mode, allowing for damage to the moving parts while it was being transported.

Right now, my power settings are set to whatever the default is. I've seen some of the other how-to's around here, but I can't seem to find what the recommended settings when I want to close the laptop and move it somewhere. Any thoughts?

A:When moving the laptop should I use sleep or hibernate (or neither)

You can set your power plan not to use sleep, and to shut down completely when you go from class to class.. While this may be inconvenient, you will eliminate the possibility of damage to the hard drive while carrying it ...

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/107638-when-moving-laptop-should-i-use-sleep-hibernate-neither.html
Relevancy 70.95%

As far as I know, laptops in sleep near battery death wake themselves up to go into hibernation. Problem is my laptop is waking up in the middle of the night from a near full battery to go into hibernation randomly (and blasting the music that was playing for the few seconds it takes before it hibernates). I'm also concerned of this happening while the laptop is in my backpack being shuffled about in sleep and just randomly waking up to hibernate. I don't want it to wake up automatically at all!

I don't have any devices waking it, such as mice or keyboards which wouldn't be the same anyway since that'd just wake up the laptop, not put it into hibernate afterwards.

A:Laptop wakes up from sleep to hibernate

Do the event logs shed any light on this? Look for a time stamped event while it was supposed to be asleep.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/220374-laptop-wakes-up-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi I sleep doesn't or Laptop hibernate have a Dell Inspiron R running Windows my laptop does not go to sleep or hibernate each time I close the lid or press the power button it seems that it forcefully shut down or go to sleep hibernate and then shuts down immediately quot the shut down screen does not appear quot When i start the laptop opening the lid pressing the button it starts as if it were properly shut down I am aware of the options that I can adjust for sleep hibernate or shut down when the lid is closed the power button pressed the problem also exists when giving a quot Sleep hibernate quot order from the start menu I have tried several suggested solutions on the web I have updated the Bios quot whatever that does quot and several other drivers I have tried running a quot PowerCfg -energy quot test on the command prompt quot several people mentioned that by using this test the Laptop doesn't sleep or hibernate found a driver that is requesting the computer to not sleep but i found no such errors i ran a few tests on Dell com to check for any Laptop doesn't sleep or hibernate problems but Laptop doesn't sleep or hibernate everything seems OK also when the laptop is sitting idle for a while and it goes automatically for sleep it does not wake up by moving mouse clicking on the power button I have to shut it down by holding the power button then press it again to turn it on as I remember the problem first appeared after updating the windows from to please help and thanks in advance nbsp

A:Laptop doesn't sleep or hibernate

Try updating the BIOS: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19

Some DELLs come with there own power management software, that might be interfering...

Chears
Grant

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-doesnt-sleep-or-hibernate.1131234/
Relevancy 70.09%

my laptop dvd drive is getting opened automatically after it starts up. it happens when i m surfing , watching movies, doing any work on my system. once it get opened anutomatically thereafter the eject button doesnt work also. after closing the tray it gets opened automatically again in 10-20 seconds . i m in a big trouble when ever i want to use my system i hav to put d tray opened and use it . please help in trying to fix it out.
advance thanks

A:How to fix CD drive which is getting opened automatically when the laptop turns on

Replace the optical drive. Will only cost £15 from ebay. Just purchase a standard unit and swap the plastic sliders and brackets.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-fix-cd-drive-which-is-getting-opened-automatically-when-the-laptop-turns-on.172533/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi all Yesterday I formatted my hdd and installed a fresh new copy of Win Home Premium bit I installed all of my regular Vista drivers and for the first hours or so enter won't Sleep or Laptop ? Mode Hibernate my system was fine I was able to fully enter sleep and hibernate and resume from both Laptop won't enter Sleep or Hibernate Mode ? states without any problems However It wasn't until the end of the night when I was about to head to bed that Laptop won't enter Sleep or Hibernate Mode ? I decided to put my computer in sleep and call it a night That's when my laptop wouldn't enter sleep mode This is what happens Laptop won't enter Sleep or Hibernate Mode ? I press the sleep button on the start menu the screen then fades to black then nothing happens it just hangs there the lights stay on but nothing happens Then after roughly minutes the system will automatically shut itself off When I press the power button to turn it back on I get a message saying something like quot Windows did not shutdown successfully quot After booting into Windows I get a message saying quot Windows Recovered from an unexpected Error quot And it gave me the minidump BSOD file please see attached file I'm thinking that something either an application or Driver perhaps is preventing my laptop from fully entering either sleep or Hibernate Like I mentioned for the first hours or so I was able to enter and resume from both sleep and hibernate without issue I hope someone can help me with this it's been going on for months now my laptop is almost a year old and far from being top of the line However I can't afford to buy a new one at the moment I want to but I just don't have the money This will have to do for a few more months until I can get something much better In the meantime I would love to know what is exactly causing this BSOD whenever I enter sleep or hibernate What's peculiar is that If I install XP I've got no issue It's only on Vista and Win Is it a driver issue Thanks guys I'll reply back ASAP I want to get to the bottom of this Any questions or If you need more info please just ask I'll do my best My system specs are what follows eMachines E Laptop Win Home Premium bit AMD Atlhon TF- MHz processor GB of RAM ATI Radeon X GB HDD Thanks again Also here's a video I made a few months back relating to the sleep issue Sorry about the low sound I've got a shitty camera but I hope you'll get the jist of it

A:Laptop won't enter Sleep or Hibernate Mode ?

here's the youtube link again :

YouTube - Sleep Problem on Laptop

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/84394-laptop-wont-enter-sleep-hibernate-mode.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi,

I have been using a Win'7 HP (64-bit) based Acer notebook for sometime. Recently, I noticed that the battery was draining faster than earlier. After I read some posts on the web, I changed the power options to 'hibernate' intead of 'sleep' when the lid is closed, as it seems hibernate consumes less battery than 'sleep' mode. However, I noticed that when the system comes back to life from hibernate, it seems to consume more power, than when the system resumes from 'sleep' mode.
Can someone advise me on whether I should retain the 'hibernate' or revert to 'sleep' mode to have better battery life / backup ?

Thanks,

Ramesh

A:Is it better to leave laptop on 'hibernate' or 'sleep' in Windows 7 HP

Use Hibernation when you are not going to use the computer for a few hours or more.

Hibernate takes a snapshot of everything you got on RAM (including any windows and apps running) and saves it to a special hard disk file and then shuts the computer down, when you resume from hibernation the computer boots a bit faster than a normal power up bootup. This method does not consume any power while the computer is off.

Use Sleep Mode when you are just leaving the computer for a few minutes or hours, like at lunchtime or something like that.

Sleep, basically shuts your computer down except some components like RAM, so the next time you resume, it will boot almost in an instant. However, this method consumes battery power.

Your battery may be starting to have a broblem also.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/207904-better-leave-laptop-hibernate-sleep-windows-7-hp.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I just recently bought an HP Pavilion dv7 envy laptop with the following specs :

Intel Core i7 720QM
6GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
2X 500GB Hard Drive
Windows 7 HP 64

I really love it and it's fast however I've been having issues with the sleep mode and I suspect it's a driver issue. When I put my laptop into sleep the screen turns blank and the lights stay on but the system doesn't shut off. I can wait for minutes and it will just hang. No matter what I press it won't come out of it unless I hard reboot.
I'll post a video of what I'm experiencing, any ideas on what generally causes sleep issues ?

I tried hibernate earlier today and it gave me the same results unable to enter hibernate.
It's weird.
And when I restart the computer and enter the desktop no error messages appear.
Where would I find the minidump file ?
Thanks

A:Laptop unable to enter sleep or Hibernate

Courtesy of Brink ...

Power Options and Sleep Mode Problems - Vista Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/105507-laptop-unable-enter-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I posted here a few months ago and everyone was very helpful so I thought I would try it again with a new computer and a new problem I have a Lenovo ThinkPad w running Windows -bit and every time I wake the computer from sleep the computer boots up to the desktop but after a few seconds goes back to sleep The same phenomenon occurs for hibernate with the laptop going back to hibernate This happens exactly once meaning if I try a Laptop booting sleep/hibernate not from correctly second time to resume from hibernate or sleep the computer boots normally This occurs regardless of whether the laptop is plugged in Laptop not booting correctly from sleep/hibernate or on battery power Shut down and restart are normal The only other thing I have noticed about this problem is that when I wake up the computer from sleep before it goes back to sleep the quot Safe to Remove quot bubble appears on the desktop telling me I can safely eject my CD DVD drive I have tried disabling re-enabling hibernate from the command prompt but it did not fix the problem

A:Laptop not booting correctly from sleep/hibernate

Hi -

How old is the Lenovo Thinkpad W500?

Reset power options -
START type power | select "power options" | reset to default settings

The Lenovo support page for your w500 contains many new drivers - please make sure all are updated -

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...IGR-70443.html

"Safely Remove" for an internal DVD drive obviously should not occur - and is a first for me.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-not-booting-correctly-from-sleep-hibernate-498643.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi,

I have HCL ICON 1015 laptop, I have brand new HDD installed and just installed Windows 7.

My problem is when I shutdown my laptop every thing looks fine i.e. logging off, shutting down. But after couple of minutes the rotating wheel in front of "SHUTTING DOWN" stops rotating, power LED stays on and fan also stays on. HDD stops blinking.

My laptop is 3 years old and power LED is no longer as bright as it used be.

Thanks for you time and consideration.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/384622-laptop-wont-shutdown-sleep-hibernate-but-restarts.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Windows 7 Professional x64
Dell Vostro 3560

BSOD seems to be caused when leaving the computer for a while - so perhaps when it tries to sleep or hibernate. The laptop is a relatively new one, less than a year old.

Any ideas what is causing this?

SF file is timsparks_C.zip

Thanks,

Tim

A:BSOD on new laptop - seems to be triggered by 'sleep' or 'hibernate'

Code:
BugCheck 9F, {3, fffffa8004aa0a10, fffff80000b9c3d8, fffffa8008007bd0}

Probably caused by : pci.sys

Code:
0: kd> !irp fffffa8008007bd0
Irp is active with 5 stacks 3 is current (= 0xfffffa8008007d30)
No Mdl: No System Buffer: Thread 00000000: Irp stack trace.
cmd flg cl Device File Completion-Context
[ 0, 0] 0 0 00000000 00000000 00000000-00000000

Args: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
[ 0, 0] 0 0 00000000 00000000 00000000-00000000

>[ 16, 2] 0 0 fffffa8007791050 00000000 00000000-00000000
Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\athrx.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for athrx.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for athrx.sys
\Driver\athr
Args: 00014400 00000000 00000004 00000002
[ 16, 2] 0 e1 fffffa8007486e10 00000000 fffff80002cc2200-fffffa80042540d0 Success Error Cancel pending
\Driver\vwifibus nt!PopSystemIrpCompletion
Args: 00014400 00000000 00000004 00000002
[ 0, 0] 0 0 00000000 00000000 00000000-fffffa80042540d0

Code:
0: kd> lmvm athrx
start end module name
fffff880`050fe000 fffff880`053b3000 athrx T (no symbols)
Loaded symbol image file: athrx.sys
Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\athrx.sys
Image name: athrx.sys
Timestamp: Wed Mar 21 13:42:59 2012 (4F69DAE3)
CheckSum: 002B829C
ImageSize: 002B5000
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
Update your Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz), this uses a Atheros chipset, check the Dell Support page for any updates.

Remove:

Code:
Start Menu\Programs\Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security
Trend Micro is known to cause BSODs in some cases, but more importantly can cause many network problems. Here's the Trend Micro Removal Tool.

Remove:

Code:
Start Menu\Programs\AVG
AVG is a known cause of BSODs with Windows 7, it's best to remove this program using the official AVG Removal Tool, and then install and run full scans with these free and proven alternatives:

Install and perform full scans with:Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download
Microsoft Security Essentials | Protect against viruses, spyware, and other malware

Information
Remember to install the free version of Malwarebytes not the free trail; untick the free trial box during installation. MSE is the most lightweight and compatible with the Windows 7 operating system

You can also view this thread for a complete free and lightweight security protection combination:Good and Free system security combination.
Reduce the number of programs at startup, to avoid any driver or program conflicts:Troubleshoot Application Conflicts by Performing a Clean Startup
Startup Programs - Change

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/288640-bsod-new-laptop-seems-triggered-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 70.09%

My "Windows 8.1 with Bing" laptop has been misbehaving. Whether I put the lid down to get it to Sleep, or Win + X -> Shut Down or sign out -> Hibernate, it turns on in the middle of the night, runs its battery down and I've lost
all my work :-( Is there any way of stopping this?
I have Norton Internet Security and it is a TOSHIBA SATELLITE C50-B x64 with UEFI, just in case it's the software / firmware / hardware on / of my machine.
And I've already turned off Hybrid Sleep.

It is not my fault if your computer combusts. If this helped, press the /\ arrow over ?there. If it answers the question, click Propose as Answer ?there. If you asked the question in the first place, click Mark as answer ?below.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/067d10bb-36ab-46aa-8e7d-1edb992bd48d/laptop-wakes-up-unexpectedly-from-sleep-and-hibernate?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 70.09%

My year old HP Spectre xt nr has a gb Hitachi hard drive with a gb seperate ssd cache in it nbsp months ago I switched out the HD and put a Sandisk gb SSD in it Then a week and half maybe in the computer sleep/hibernate shutdown or wont Laptop when I close the lid Laptop wont sleep/hibernate or shutdown or click sleep shutdown hibernate the computer will attempt to do it and the screen will turn off as normal but the computer is still running It sometimes will not stop running unless I force shutdown with the power button Sometimes it will shutdown regardless weather I clicked shutdown or sleep but that means I got a BSOD of driver power state failure and then it just turns off The laptop runs fine other than that nbsp So I contacted microsoft chat support and they weren't too much help but they said my SSD could be the cause but I'm sure it's not BUT I switched the sandisk SSD with a Samsung evo but it had the same issue I even went back to the HD temporarily because that never had the issue but it was still not turning off correctly I even refreshed my pc but keeping my personal files and that still didn't fix it nbsp I assume it is my hardware but how can I figure out what hardware it is that is causing it Here is my crash dump file if you want to look at it https www dropbox com s z eghde nho v l - - dmp dl

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Laptop-wont-sleep-hibernate-or-shutdown/td-p/5764511
Relevancy 70.09%

My year wont Laptop shutdown/sleep/hibernate old HP Spectre xt nr has a gb Hitachi hard drive with a gb seperate ssd cache in it months ago I switched out the HD and put a Sandisk Laptop wont shutdown/sleep/hibernate gb SSD in it Then a week and half maybe in the computer when I close the lid or click sleep shutdown hibernate the computer will attempt to do it and the screen will turn off as normal but the computer is still running It sometimes will not stop running unless I force shutdown with the power button Sometimes it will shutdown regardless weather I clicked shutdown or sleep but that means I got a BSOD of driver power state failure and then it just turns off The laptop runs fine other than that So I contacted microsoft chat support and they weren't too much help but they said my SSD could be the cause but I'm sure it's not BUT I switched the sandisk SSD with a Samsung evo but it had the same issue I even went back to the HD Laptop wont shutdown/sleep/hibernate temporarily because that never had the issue but it was still not turning off correctly I even refreshed my pc but keeping my personal files and that still didn't fix it I assume it is my hardware but how can I figure out what hardware it is that is causing it Here is my crash dump file if you want to look at it https www dropbox com s z eghde nho v l - - dmp dl

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/626952/laptop-wont-shutdownsleephibernate/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hello,

My laptop is an MSI Gx660, running windows 7 64bit with 12gb ram.
The laptop is only 1-2months old and My harddisk has very little files with about 205gb free on the C drive.

After using for a long period of time like 6-7hours, I would usually put my laptop into hibernate mode.
When I click hibernate, the screen turns black but even after 20mins the power button including wifi and other lights doesnt go off, which I have to force shutdown by holding the power button. Even sleeping the laptop after 6-7hours does the same issue, unable to go to sleep(indicated by the blinking power button)

The wierd thing is that if I use the laptop for about 2 hours or less, I am able to fully hibernate or sleep, which I tested a few times.
Can anyone help me?

A:Laptop doesnt turn off when going into sleep/hibernate

Check the power options in the control panel (start, power options) are set correctly to what you want the buttons to do - if these are correct, you should get advice from MSI support given how new the laptop is, and why it seems to do it correctly after not much use but doesn't after prolonged use ??.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/222732-laptop-doesnt-turn-off-when-going-into-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I have had my Asus laptop for about 3 months now and I have been continually having issues with the sleep and hibernate functions of my laptop. My computer goes to sleep/hibernates fine but whenever I try to wake it up it looks like everything is going fine for about 10 seconds or so and then it freezes and turns to a blue screen and says something about dumping my physical memory (I assume it means ram?) and then it restarts itself. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

A:Asus laptop hibernate and sleep issues

Check online for current motherboard drivers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/67697-asus-laptop-hibernate-sleep-issues.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I just recently bought an HP Pavilion dv7 envy laptop with the following specs :

Intel Core i7 720QM
6GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
2X 500GB Hard Drive
Windows 7 HP 64

I really love it and it's fast however I've been having issues with the sleep mode and I suspect it's a driver issue. When I put my laptop into sleep the screen turns blank and the lights stay on but the system doesn't shut off. I can wait for minutes and it will just hang. No matter what I press it won't come out of it unless I hard reboot.
I'll post a video of what I'm experiencing, any ideas on what generally causes sleep issues ?

I tried hibernate earlier today and it gave me the same results unable to enter hibernate.
It's weird.
And when I restart the computer and enter the desktop no error messages appear.
Where would I find the minidump file ?
Thanks

A:Laptop unable to enter sleep or Hibernate

Courtesy of Brink ...

Power Options and Sleep Mode Problems - Vista Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/105507-laptop-unable-enter-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Ever since I did something with my drivers things have been going haywire Here's a list of a few things that I have had issues with sometimes when i'm using a speech application like skype or discord sounds on my desktop are picked up through my mic even though i'm using a headset my computer's automatic maintenance starts up at the most random times and it never seems to end and whenever I shutdown hibernate or put my computer to sleep my screen powers off but my fan power button light and mouse lighting are still on the fan is running as well but it's at a slower and quieter speed All my drivers are updated and so is my BIOS My guess is that the BIOS update may have caused things to go haywire in my computer Can anyone please hibernate, doesn't Laptop and shutdown. sleep, fully help me solve this issue I have to resort to pressing the power button to make my computer turn off or go to sleep nbsp

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Laptop-doesn-t-fully-hibernate-sleep-and-shutdown/td-p/5621087
Relevancy 69.23%

Hello everyone!

I cant seem to troubleshoot this anymore because I only use Bluescreenview and Whocrashed i really dont know how to open the dump files so i can analyze and try to get the culprit. This has been going for months now I have already changed my anti virus and adjust most settings related to this issue. I hope someone helps me with this, its getting out of hand already.

Thank you so much!!!

A:BSOD error everytime I sleep or Hibernate the laptop

Hi computerpod123,

Welcome to the 7forums.

Please re-run the tool and upload the zip file, there are many files missing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/383532-bsod-error-everytime-i-sleep-hibernate-laptop.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Just as the thread title says. This used to be something that happened only once in a blue moon, but now pretty much EVERY TIME my laptop is sleeping/hibernating and i wake it up and log back in, the laptop goes berserk. I basically get one of two things:

1. Random programs open (from Skyrim to like 5 excel sheets to notepad to powerpoint, you get the picture).
2. My mouse will click whatever it is hovering over and/or my keyboard will type a letter/the enter key indefinitely.

I do use a USB mouse/keyboard, but one time for testing i unplugged my mouse and keyboard and the problem persisted even when they were unplugged. Also, i dont think i have a virus/malware becasue i ran Norton 360's scan as well as Symantecs power eraser tool and both say my system is clean.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Relevancy 69.23%

Hi,

I've just installed Windows 8 Pro 64bit edition on my Dell XPS L502X, overall the system runs ok but today i notice strange long restarts after waking up from sleep mode / hibernate and then it when back to the logon screen. Windows then will display a memory dump error.

Please help, could this be a driver issue?

A:Laptop restarts after sleep / hibernate in Windows 8 Pro 64bit

anyone? please help..

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/11354-laptop-restarts-after-sleep-hibernate-windows-8-pro-64bit.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi,my girlfriends laptop seems to be stuck in sleep or hibernation mode.Its running windows vista. She hadnt used it for about a year,then when she tried to use it,it wont do anything.,Ive tried starting it in safe mode,either pressing f8 repeatedly,or holding it down on start-up,but it doesnt work.When it starts up it shows a black screen with the manufacturers name.If i press esc. it comes to this  page
 laptop.jpg   125.15KB
  1 downloads .If i press f2 it says entering setup...nothing happens after that. Can anyone help please? 

A:ASUS laptop stuck in sleep/hibernate mode.

I would see if replacing the CMOS battery helps. Some CMOS batteries are soldered to the motherboard. What is the model number of the Asus?

You can try the following though. Remove the main battery, unplug the adapter and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power adapter but do not replace the main battery and then press the power button.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/552656/asus-laptop-stuck-in-sleephibernate-mode/
Relevancy 68.37%

I put my HP Pavilion g notebook in either sleep or hibernate mode but during laptop synchronize Windows time to hibernate from or 8.1 wakes sleep up the night it wakes itself up with the following event Log Name nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp System Source nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Windows 8.1 laptop wakes up from sleep or hibernate to synchronize time nbsp nbsp nbsp Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-General Event ID nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Task Category None Level nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Information Keywords nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Time User nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp N A Description The system time has changed to - - T Z from - - T Z Change Reason System time synchronized with the hardware clock Event Xml nbsp lt System gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Provider Name quot Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-General quot Guid quot A CA B - F-D B -A - E DE F F D quot gt nbsp nbsp nbsp Windows 8.1 laptop wakes up from sleep or hibernate to synchronize time lt EventID gt lt EventID gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Version gt lt Version gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Level gt lt Level gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Task gt lt Task gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Opcode gt lt Opcode gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt TimeCreated SystemTime quot - - T Z quot gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Correlation gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Execution ProcessID quot quot ThreadID quot quot gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Channel gt System lt Channel gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Security gt nbsp lt System gt nbsp lt EventData gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Data Name quot NewTime quot gt - - T Z lt Data gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Data Name quot OldTime quot gt - - T Z lt Data gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Data Name quot Reason quot gt lt Data gt nbsp lt EventData gt I haven't installed any new software I don't have the Samsung Magic SSD software mentioned in other posts and the only devices configured to wake the laptop are the mouse and keyboard neither of which is touched when the laptop wakes up Any suggestions on how this can be delayed until I wake up the laptop would make my wife very happy I do have a scheduled task to wake the laptop to run the AV software while I'm away but that's hours after it's actually waking up Thanks

A:Windows 8.1 laptop wakes up from sleep or hibernate to synchronize time

try to go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools
Disable and set the trigger as never at task scheduler > time sync

You can also try to clean boot
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/407ccc50-50d1-4ba6-a17c-a0327599790c/windows-81-laptop-wakes-up-from-sleep-or-hibernate-to-synchronize-time?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 68.37%

Hello, thanks for your time in helping me with this small issue of mine. Recently, my laptop, has been going off from sleep mode even though I wouldn't touch the screen, my mouse or keyboard. I am confused by why this has been happening. I've researched on that, the slightist touch can put the laptop to sleep. However, I wouldn't touch my laptop since when its on sleep mode, im often at school or going to sleep. Only to find it has been opened and shut down due to battery running out.   Would there be able solutions to this small issue of mine?. How can I stop this from happening again? is it a virus? spyware?.   Thanks for your time and consideration in helping with this issue.  Kevin.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/My-laptop-often-times-turns-on-from-sleep-mode/td-p/5818071
Relevancy 67.51%

Already went through the process that was on this website. Just need to know what else to do.

A:BSOD my laptop turns off when it wakes up from sleep mode.

Welcome

There are no dump files in the zip attached.
Please make sure you're following the instructions correctly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/255726-bsod-my-laptop-turns-off-when-wakes-up-sleep-mode.html
Relevancy 67.51%

This problem has been going on already for about a month as far as I can recall The laptop turns on but the display is totally empty and Windows does not start at all This happens frequently after hibernation sleep What I do usually is I just turn the laptop off and turn it on again and the OS starts successfully but now it takes more than twice and it may be dangerous already to do such The laptop is still under warranty and I have it checked already at the store where I bought it The tech person did a few tweaks in the power settings It did work but after a little less than hrs the problem came back I am working as an architectural intern and most of the programs I use are heavy D drafting and D modeling softwares e g Autocad Sketchup and Lumion as well as Adobe Photoshop I use Sketchup very often Just mentioning this as it may have some bearing to the problem Thank you very much

A:Laptop turns on but doesn't load OS after hibernation/sleep

Hi, Welcome to SF.

I found this post from our member gergrocker. This might help.

Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker

Sleep issues are almost always caused by the display driver so I would start by updating it, or trying another. Driver Install - Device Manager

You can troubleshoot Sleep and Hibernate by setting them to 1 and 2 minutes in Power Options. Use Balanced Plan. Then work through these Sleep Mode Problems - Vista Forums.

If this is still the factory preinstalled WIn7 then that is a corrupt install which causes many of these problems, which is why most tech enthusiasts will not run it but choose to Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

At the minimum I'd Clean Up Factory Bloatware

If that doesn't help then work through these Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/308658-laptop-turns-but-doesnt-load-os-after-hibernation-sleep.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I set it so that my laptop is supposed to go to sleep after minutes while in battery mode and it has been hours and the laptop didn't sleep Good thing I woke up before my laptop completely drained my battery Here is what the energy-report html has to say Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report Computer Name GEORGEPC Scan Time - - T Z Scan Duration seconds System sleep. won't automatically Laptop Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC System Laptop won't automatically sleep. Product Name N JR BIOS Date BIOS Version N JR OS Build Platform Role PlatformRoleMobile Plugged In true Process Count Thread Count Report GUID f ecc-dd c- f -a d -bca c Analysis Results Errors Power Policy Minimum processor performance state is On Battery The processor is not configured to automatically reduce power consumption based on activity Power Policy Sleep timeout is disabled Plugged In The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity System Availability Requests System Required Request The program has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep Requesting Process Device HarddiskVolume Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe CPU Utilization Processor utilization is high The average processor utilization during the trace was high The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization Average Utilization Platform Power Management Capabilities PCI Express Active-State Power Management ASPM Disabled PCI Express Active-State Power Management ASPM has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer Device Drivers Devices with missing or misconfigured drivers can increase power consumption Device Name Bluetooth Audio Device Device ID BTHENUM - C- BB -B B -ACE DCADEC LOCALMFG amp amp C B D amp amp Device Status x Device Problem Code xa Device Drivers Devices with missing or misconfigured drivers can increase power consumption Device Name Virtual Bluetooth Support Include Audio Device ID BTHENUM CBECAB -A C - AB -ADC -DE FE D LOCALMFG amp amp C B D amp amp Device Status x Device Problem Code x f Device Drivers Devices with missing or misconfigured drivers can increase power consumption Device Name Bluetooth LWFLT Device Device ID BTHENUM DD - F - C-ABFE- BC A A LOCALMFG amp amp C B D amp amp Device Status x Device Problem Code x f Warnings Power Policy Display timeout is long On Battery The display is configured to turn off after longer than minutes Timeout seconds Power Policy Sleep timeout is long On Battery The computer is configured to automatically sleep after longer than minutes Timeout seconds Power Policy Display timeout is long Plugged In The display is configured to turn off after longer than minutes Timeout seconds Power Policy Dim timeout is long Plugged In The display is configured to automatically dim after longer than minutes Timeout seconds Information Platform Timer Resolution Platform Timer Resolution The default platform timer resolution is ms ns and should be used whenever the system is idle If the timer resolution is increased processor power management technologies may not be effective The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations Current Timer Resolution ns units Power Policy Active Power Plan The current power plan in use Plan Name OEM Balanced Plan GUID b -f - f - -ff bb df e Power Policy Power Plan Personality On Battery The personality of the current power plan when the system is on battery power Personality Balanced Power Policy Video Quality On Battery Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video Quality Mode Balance Video Quality and Power Savings Power Policy Power Plan Personality Plugged In The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in Per... Read more

A:Laptop won't automatically sleep.

Just restarted my laptop, and now sleep works.  Now a new problem.  Why does it take a few minutes for the laptop to go to sleep?  I did a test.  Display turns off after 1 minute.  Laptop sleeps after 1 minute.  Display turns off minutes before laptop goes to sleep.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/549553/laptop-wont-automatically-sleep/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hey everyone My laptop sometimes automatically goes to sleep automatically sleep. Laptop to goes very Laptop automatically goes to sleep. fast sleep It happens very randomly and I have checked the all the quot sleep quot options in the power management menu When it goes to sleep I can wake it up again by pressing the power button but then it again goes to sleep in a few minutes within - minutes So I again wake it up and it again goes back to sleep within the same time This continues to happen until I remove the USB hub from my port So when I remove the USB hub I can wake it up again by pressing the power button Then the issue is gone Now I can connect the USB hub again and everything works fine but the issue comes back again the next day I can again remove the USB hub to fix things but it has become an annoyance to do it every day So I am looking forward to a permanent solution Some additional information please let me know if I need to provide anything else - About the USB hub that's connected to my PC I have connected an external keyboard and an external mouse to it My laptop specs- Asus K JN Win bit TB HDD i HQ GHZ quad core GB ram Nvidea m Intel HD Any help is much appreciated Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/76109-laptop-automatically-goes-sleep.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I have changed all power and sleep settings in all modes. On battery and mains, no matter how many times I've changed the times, it always now sleeps on 2 minutes. I've checked my settings and they show my times in there. Can anyone help please?

A:Why does my laptop automatically sleep after 2 minutes?

Under the Power & Sleep settings menu, click the "Additional Power Settings" link and try making similar adjustments.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/433898-why-does-my-laptop-automatically-sleep-after-2-minutes.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Alright I bought my hp dv - last spring When Windows came out I got my free MSDNAA copy from my engineering department and did a clean install Pro -bit After install I went to Hp's website and got all the -bit drivers for my laptop gfx sound buttons top etc All of them were digitally signed and installed correctly I began to notice my battery being dead or near dead when using my laptop on campus One time I removed it from my bag to find it ON extremely hot and the battery almost dead This has been going on for some time and I've done alot to try to fix it First I suspected some device like wake on LAN wakes sleep Laptop from automatically was waking the computer I found the command line commands to see which devices are allowed to wake the computer during sleep and this revealed no culprit Second I tried looking at the Windows Event Logs Im not too familiar with these logs but I will describe them best I can here The event quot Power Troubleshooter quot is listed and Laptop wakes from sleep automatically has this as the description Note I put the computer to sleep by closing the lid it does the same thing if i manually click sleep at pm At exactly pm this is the event listed quot The system has resumed from sleep Sleep Time - - T Z Wake Time - - T Z Wake Source Unknown quot There are a few events that occour just before this event is listed This is the part I dont understand so much They all occour at but are listed before the Power-Troubleshooter event above as while that event says the wake time is the event didnt post in the log until These are the events occouring at with the more quot dated quot entries first EVENT BROWSER The browser has forced an election on network Device NetBT Tcpip E E - C - E-AD - D E FEB F because a master browser was stopped EVENT Kernel-General The system time has changed to - - T Z from - - T Z EVENT Service Control Manager The Multimedia Class Scheduler service entered the stopped state EVENT Service Control Manager The TCP IP NetBIOS Helper service was successfully sent a stop control The reason specified was x Operating System Network Connectivity Planned Comment None EVENT Service Control Manager The Multimedia Class Scheduler service entered the running state EVENT Service Control Manager The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service service entered the running state EVENT Power-Troubleshooter The system has resumed from sleep Sleep Time - - T Z Wake Time - - T Z Wake Source Unknown quot I have looked in so many places for information on this issue and have found nothing I cannot say if the installation of the HP drivers are causing this issue because I installed them right after installation My current workaround is to set the laptop sleep time to minutes This way the laptop goes back to sleep almost immediatly after it wakes After doing this one night I put my laptop to sleep and checked the logs in the morning Like clockwork it went to sleep at say pm then woke up at pm then went to sleep at woke up at slept at woke at etc All night It still worries me because I move around alot with my laptop in my backpack I'm worried about the harddrive mostly as it could crash when its being jostled around in my bag while running I wouldnt mind reinstalling but it would be a big hassle and im afraid it wouldnt solve the problem This was not an issue on Vista x which came pre-installed on my laptop And sleep is very responcive on windows it takes all of seconds to type my password and im good to continue working Its not a feature I would like to give up If anyone has any input or suggestions for my problem it would be much appreciated I am willing to try anything really Thanks Adam

A:Laptop wakes from sleep automatically

I have the exact same problem and would be very interested in a solution...

Someone on another forum hinted on a bad battery for keeping the clock's time, but I have a brand new laptop so I doubt that this is the problem...

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/55373-laptop-wakes-sleep-automatically.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I am using windows 10, the divers are up to date according to what "Windows Update" is saying.
Please suggest a solution.

A:Problem in Toshiba satellite A660-18N: Laptop turns off after 1 second from waking up from sleep

Does it only do this when turning back on from sleep? Or does it occur any other time?

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3122775/problem-toshiba-satellite-a660-18n-laptop-turns-waking-sleep.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Since last quite a few days I am noticing this problem, after not using the laptop for a while or when the lid is closed, the system goes in sleep mode as it should. However, it doesn't remain in sleep mode for long. After a while the system shuts down automatically. And then when I turn on the laptop by pressing the power button, the system restarts but shows the status "Locked", and on unlocking I find everything as it was left off.So is this a problem or some kind of defense-mechanism of the system?Any ideas about why this happens or how to solve it?My system is inspiron 15 3521 and runs on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19763172
Relevancy 65.79%

Hey guysm i got a macbook pro bootcamp windows 7, and i just installed a fresh version of windows. Im doing work and all of a sudden everything monitor goes blank and it enter sleep mode, i gotta hit the power button for it to come back on, sometimes it tries to come back on and goes back to sleep mode.

Anyways to check the logs to see whats causing this?

A:Win7 laptop automatically goes to sleep mode

Have you checked the power plan settings?

Power Plan Settings - Change

You could also see if the power efficiency diagnostic report shows any issues.

Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/235900-win7-laptop-automatically-goes-sleep-mode.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Whether I choose any option other than to turn PC off, instead of tapping spacebar on my MS wireless keyboard I have to tap the button for power on the tower, then the monitor turns on as the fan runs, but always a black screen. So then I have to do a manual boot and select to start normally.

Started a week ago, around the same time as a graphics card failure. I installed a new PNY GeForce, updated ALL drivers on my Gateway DX4710-UB301A, (Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, AVG antivirus free 2014) played with power management and startup config settings, trolled forums, performed malware scans, and still can't figure out the issue. 

Please help!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/520005/groggy-wake-up-from-sleep-hybrid-sleep-or-hibernate/
Relevancy 58.48%

I have used hp 630 intel 2310m @ 2.10 ghz with intel hd 3000. My problem when i playing game automatically hibernate. I check power setting its never sleep never display off. I clean fan but problem still.

A:automatically hibernate

And no startup error. I press start button. Windows is resuming start.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/61691-automatically-hibernate.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi,
So pretty much what the title says.
I have it set to sleep after 30mins which it doesnt, and yet if i go to the start menu and choose sleep myself it will.
Any ideas why?

A:Windows Wont sleep unless i automatically put it in sleep

Hi Mitch.

You mean Manually put it to sleep.

This is my suggestion, go to Power Options, on your preferred power option, put it all to Never.
Then click Change Advance power options, browse the sleep option, Make sure to put the "Sleep After: to Never.

I have attached a picture for you to refer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/358987-windows-wont-sleep-unless-i-automatically-put-sleep.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi,
my laptop used to login automatically after i just shut down the lock on my laptop, and then it will not login automatically but now it shows the login screen and i have to click on the login screen to login after hibernate,
so please anyone how can i fix this issue ?

thnx

A:Plz help with automatically login after hibernate ?

Hello Ida, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Double check in your advanced power plan settings to make sure that you have Require a password on wakeup set to No to see if that may help.

Password - Require on Wakeup

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/213849-plz-help-automatically-login-after-hibernate.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I am running Windows XP Home Edition on an HP Pavilion notebook.
Whenever I put my computer into hibernate mode, it automatically turns back on and comes out of hibernate. It didn't use to do this.

Thanks

Tommy

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hibernate-automatically-restarts-computer.266596/
Relevancy 57.19%

I am running Windows XP Home Edition on an HP Pavilion notebook.
Whenever I put my computer into hibernate mode, it automatically turns back on and comes out of hibernate. It didn't use to do this.

Thanks

Tommy

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hibernate-automatically-restarts-computer.266596/
Relevancy 56.33%

I shut my PC down every night when I go to bed and at 12;03AM it turns itself back on. I have a Dell 2400 purchased 1 1/2 years ago. It has Windows XP. My hard drive crashed in February of this year and I purchased a new one from Dell and installed it and a Dell Technician walked me through reprograming it. Thank you for any help. Charle

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-turns-on-automatically.372736/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello Everyone nbsp Im having another problem with my Lenovo Y non touch laptop This time it is turning off randomly I have installed all the drivers updated all of them I'm thinking the laptop could be over heating which personnally being a new laptop it shouldn't be I have searched the forums but no answers yet to this problem nbsp It seems that if my laptop Turns Off Y50: Automatically is downloading something it shuts off I was downloading Battle net's desktop app and steam when it shut off the first time Now when I download anything it shuts off Any suggestions anyone nbsp Right now I have set my computer to use Prime im going to let it run for Y50: Automatically Turns Off hours while im at work nbsp Could it be that my nbsp wireless drivers that could be shutting it down nbsp Any suggestions are helpful Thank you to all nbsp System Specs Lenovo Y Non TouchOS Windows Ulitmate bitCPU nbsp GHz Core i Y50: Automatically Turns Off - HGPU nbsp NVIDIA GeForce GTX MRAM nbsp GB nbsp DDR L SSD GB Samsung Evo installed myself

A:Y50: Automatically Turns Off

I also have been having this same problem since the second week of having my Y50 Touch. I didn't add anything that could be causing this issue.    I initially came to the same conclusion about it overheating. However to rule it out i got a cooling board any way. My computer still randomly and abruptly shuts off  with a loud "pop" sound (as if an electrical power outage had just occurred). It happens rather just on battery power on plugged in. I have seen in other tech communities where other Y50 owners have had this exact issue as well. It's just very troublesome to have a brand new computer malfunction like this.  If anyone has any advice or theories, please do share with us. If you're experiencing the same problem, please speak up as well. Lenovo should be aware, and address this defect.    Lenovo Y50 Touch4th Gen Intel® Core? i7-4710HQ (2.50GHz 1600MHz 6MB)Windows 8.1 648GB  MCoulter48 wrote:Hello Everyone, Im having another problem with my Lenovo Y50 (non touch) laptop. This time, it is turning off randomly. I have installed all the drivers, updated all of them. I'm thinking the laptop could be over heating, which personnally, being a new laptop, it shouldn't be. I have searched the forums but no answers yet to this problem. It seems that if my laptop is downloading something, it shuts off. I was downloading Battle.net's desktop app, and steam when it shut off the first time. Now when I download anything, it shuts off. Any suggestions anyone? Right now, I have set my computer to use Prime96, im going to let it run for 8 hours while im at work. Could it be that my wireless drivers that could be shutting it down? Any suggestions are helpful!Thank you to all System Specs:Lenovo Y50 Non TouchOS: Windows Ulitmate 7 64bitCPU: 2.8 GHz Core i5-4200HGPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860MRAM: 8GB, DDR3L 1600SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 Evo (installed myself)    

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y50-Automatically-Turns-Off/td-p/1688119
Relevancy 56.33%

hello i have a problem my pc turns off automatically it specially happens when I am running hard programs but also when i open many links I have a hard disk of gb with gb left and a Ram of Gb what can be the problem For example iwas running pro evolution i had only gbleft it turned off about mins of running the game i deleted many things i got gb left then the game lasted a lot but suddenly somedays after it started to turns off about mins of starting theg ame I thought it was a problem weith ahrd programs as pes but it also happens with old games like army men rts or when i open severla links of internet explorer any help i think it is not the temperature of my cpu it is ok cause for pc automatically turns off My example i My pc turns off automatically could play pes oldest vbersion for hours without stoping and if u let the pc using soft programs as msn u can use it for hours with out problems i hope u can help me thanx

A:My pc turns off automatically

Are you sure your pc is not over heating? My laptop started doing the same thing so i cleaned out the fan and it was fine after..just a theory.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/my-pc-turns-off-automatically-594684.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi all,

I have been facing this issue for the last 2-3 days that my system turns off automatically, then in order to switch it on i have to switch off the main power and then switch it on again.
Sometimes my system runs for 30 minutes and sometimes not even for 3 minutes.
I have checked the temprature from BIOS and its 44C and 43C which i think is not very high.
Could this be related to RAM as few days back i tried to increase the RAM by putting another 1 GB strip which didnt work and i took it off.
System Specs.
AMD Athlon? X2 7750 2.7 GHZ processor.
Gigabyte Motherboard with nvidia 6150SE onboard graphics card.
2 Gb kingston RAM
500 GB Seagate HDD.

A:PC turns off Automatically.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babanash

.... for the last 2-3 days .... my system turns off automatically, then in order to switch it on i have to switch off the main power and then switch it on again.

This suggests that there may be a problem with the PSU (power supply unit), either failing or inadequate. Replace the PSU with a bigger/better one.

You said: "have checked the temprature from BIOS and its 44C and 43C which i think is not very high."
It is high enough for a BIOS reading .... ideally a little cooler would be better, but I don't know what room temperature is there. The fact that you have to turn the power off and on again ... pretty much rules out it being an overheating problem.

There could be other possibilities ... check the mobo for swollen/leaking capacitors!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/pc-turns-off-automatically-424207.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I ve had this computer about days At first I didn t notice the problem but I can't XPS New sleep hibernate 13 or did notice a touchpad wasn t working I troubleshot that for the first day downloaded all updates made sure all drivers were new bios was the latest version etc Finally had to uninstall Microsoft drivers and install Synaptic drivers Which seemed to fix that problem I believe the first day the computer could sleep By the rd day though I found my battery had completely drained overnight and quickly found the computer wouldn t sleep or hibernate It would turn off though and restart I used powercfg and event viewer to see what was happening In event viewer I noticed that everytime I would try and sleep I would get an error from Runtimebroker exe about not having proper permissions I found a solution to that but then event viewer said that a printer driver was preventing sleep I uninstalled that Then event viewer was saying USBHUB was preventing sleep I disabled that Still wasn t sleeping and from then on event viewer just said quot an unknown event quot was preventing sleep Got some errors in from powercfg too the most worrisome New XPS 13 can't sleep or hibernate was quot aspm disabled due to hardware incompatibility quot Never figured this one out Also in New XPS 13 can't sleep or hibernate event view nbsp was quot Intel R Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework quot errors At this point I just did a fresh install with a full wipe Everything went fine although strangely the Synaptic drivers I had to install manually last time tried to install automatically Before I made any changes I tried to sleep again and no luck Plus I see all the errors I saw last time Runtimebroker permission errors ASPM and TDP errors nbsp Plus my touchpad again with the Microsoft drivers I m out of ideas Any thoughts

A:New XPS 13 can't sleep or hibernate

I tried the following and none worked consistently:update bios to 1.4.4
disable hibernate
boot into safe mode
change power scheme. 
The worst thing is that the computer even won't keep shutting down. It powers itself up right after powering off. 
Dell, are you listening? 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19982972
Relevancy 56.33%

When I don't plan to use my computer for several hours (say, at night when I go to bed), should I set it to: sleep, hibernate, or off?

A:Sleep, hibernate, or off?

I personally turn mine off. Sleep can be problematic especially if you're on older hardware, and hibernate takes a huge chunk of drive space.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/150372-sleep-hibernate-off.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have heard many side of the debate about weither or not to sleep or Hibernate a PC or shut down or leaving it powered on Here are my two setups let me know what you think should be best I want to try and conserve power while Hibernate? vs Sleep not impacting my computer usage that much if at all Both PC s are running Sleep vs Hibernate? Windows Desktop- I leave this one running I kinda make it my personal quot server quot Sleep vs Hibernate? and i use Windows Live Mesh to snyc my PC s together I do open it up - times a year and blow out dust with compressed air so that dust does not build up Ive been doing this since i got my first PC in and never had a hardware failure Sleep vs Hibernate? except one failed Hdd I have a Flat Panel LCD monitor which i turn off Would it be better to let the LCD quot sleep quot too Laptop-I power down this when im not using it My main consern is about putting it into sleep mode and sticking in a Neoprene sleve and carrying it around in my backpack im a college student Would a sleeve or a backback restrict airflow and possible overheat or would a computer be more prone to damage while powered on sleep or full power The laptop i am also tired of having to boot it up before my classes start is it ok to leave a laptop on Im thinking of getting an external cooler and fan and leaving in on there while im at home and or charging the battery

A:Sleep vs Hibernate?

I'm not a fan of either Hibernation or Sleep. My recommendations:

For the desktop, just set the display and hd to power down after a defined period of inactivity.

As for the laptop, t just power it down when you're not using it? Booting it before classes start can't be that much of a problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/420024/sleep-vs-hibernate/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello , I check forums but I didn't find solution for me so I'm gonna ask.
I have windows 7 installed on laptop which has good performance.

I want to put him to sleep or hibernate so he can cool himself a bit , but without closing my network applications such as one game and one sharing program.

I tried any way but I'm connected to network with usb wireless adapter to my modem , or I can connect with usb cable to him.

Any way I try my connection goes off.
If there is any possible way of saving some power or cooling him off a little while using some network applications I would be happy to know about it.

Thanks.

A:Sleep or Hibernate

Welcome to SF!

I don't think so, unfortunately. You can have it turn off the display, that will help a little.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/89725-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have herd arguements both ways, one issue I herd was that in "sleep" mode the system keeps running and in a enclosed bag (laptop bag or backpack) can overheat fast, also I have herd hibetrnate is borked up.

Well, I have hibernated and also used sleep, but whats the reccomended way.

If its hibernate, how can I just remove the sleep option from the shutdown options, and if its sleep how can I remove the hibernate options ?

Thankyas

A:Sleep or Hibernate ?

Just Like Coke vs Pepsi, it really boils down your own personal preference. Both drawbacks you list can be true. The main difference though is that sleep does not totally power down your system. Which is why a laptop in a bag will get hot. It still draws power to the memory, which is why it restarts so quickly. However if the power is interrupted for any reason, battery dead, unplugged, brown/blackout, you lose what was running at the time. Hibernate saves everything to the hard disk and totally powers down the entire system. Power can og out or battery removed and it will still return to the last state it was in when it hibernated albeit in a slightly longer amount of time than the Sleep function. Catch is the file what it uses to store the hibernation data, (hiberfil.sys) is very large (typically equal to the amount of RAM you have installed) and can become corrupted which can cause various problems.

Either way the easiest way to shutdown in whatever manner you decide is to assign the Start menu Power button to do either option under Control Panel/Power Options/Advanced options. Also if your keyboard has a sleep button (It typically looks like a crescent moon) then that sometimes can be programed to do the same thing as well.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/127987-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a dell XPS1702x laptop Win7 64, this problem came up in the last 5 days after I installed a logitech M705 mouse and software.When ever I put my laptop in sleep or hibernate and start up again I get a blank screen, but the laptop seems tobe running I have to turn the computer off and then on again using the power button. My computer then restarts and opens in the Error Recovert Screen stating that the computer was turned off improperly and ask if I want to restart Windows. I have preformed a complete Virus scan with Nortons 360, I have updating all my software, uninstalled the mouse and returned to my old mouse and the software for the new mouse and the problem is still there. As I read the Questions on the MS community it looks like I'm not alone with this problem. does any one have a possible solution ?

A:Can't use sleep or hibernate

Hi hootcow,

There are many possible causes for this issue. Please try the following troubleshooting steps to see if they work:
1. Update BIOS:
Note: Battery should have 10% or greater charge; Adapter should be connected; No external devices should be connected; All other programs should be closed and documents saved
- Click Driver Details | Dell United States to download the BIOS file and install it as per the on-screen instructions
- Laptop will restart itself (may produce some beeps); recheck results

2. If the issue persists, try installing 'Windows Updates': Ensure that the 'Logitech Mouse' is working with the laptop while you perform the update
- Click 'Start icon' > Type 'Windows Update' in 'Search programs and files' in the text box > Tap Enter and follow the on-screen instructions to install all updates > Restart the laptop and check results

3. If the issue still persists, you may also try updating the 'video drivers'; Dell XPS L702x laptop offers 'NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M and GT 555M' as discrete video options:
- Click Driver Details | Dell United States to update the 'Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver'
- Restart laptop after updating
- Click Driver Details | Dell United States to update the 'Discrete Video card driver'
- Restart and check again

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/269935-cant-use-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 56.33%

My dad wanted to remove Vista from his Dell Vostro 1700. And obviously i put seven on. Until recently the Sleep and Hibernate options are Gone!!! No where to be found. Avg didn't find any viruses at all... but malware bytes found three the INSTANT i pluged in my SD Card.

I surprisingly made an image of the Laptop, do i have to reapply it?

My dad does not like it when he shuts the screen, then it shutdowns FORCING ALL APPS TO EXIT OR CLOSE!

A:Sleep Hibernate ... all gone

You could try looking at the advanced power settings. Click on the battery icon on the task bar & select more power options, then select Change plan settings next to the currently active power plan.

There is options for sleep & hibernate, you could look to see if they've been disabled. Other than that i'll keep looking for other possible causes/solutions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/7216-sleep-hibernate-all-gone.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Lenovo Ideapad Yoga Windows bit Gb Ram Intel i Gb SSD I have started to hibernate the laptop when I'm not using it instead of using sleep to save battery power When I was using sleep I had the wake timers enabled to allow the laptop to wake to run scheduled backup tasks My understanding is that the laptop will not wake up from hibernate but it does wake up from hibernate to perform a scheduled task It seems that the hibernate and sleep commands put the system into the same low power state Whether I hibernate or sleep the event in Event Viewer is the same quot Event Kernel Power The system is entering sleep quot Whether the laptop wakes from hibernate or sleep the event is the same quot Event - Power - Troubleshooter The system has returned from a low power state quot and Hibernate Sleep However the outward signs showing hibernate or sleep are different in sleep the power light Hibernate and Sleep flashes on and off and the battery light is on in hibernate the power and battery lights are off My understanding also is that when you hibernate the state of the system is saved in the hiberfil sys file However the time stamp in this file does not update Hibernate and Sleep with each hibernation which only shows the time of the first bootup of the day The Hibernate and Sleep overall power plan is balanced and the settings are the same whether on battery or plugged in In Power Options System Settings Change settings that are currently unavailable fast startup sleep hibernate and lock are all enabled In Power Options Change plan settings Change advanced power settings Sleep hybrid sleep is disabled and wake timers are enabled

A:Hibernate and Sleep

Hello Alanbo, and welcome to Eight Forums.

The timestamp may still show the same due to fast startup being enabled unless you actually restart the computer. Fast startup doesn't save the same way to the hiberfil.sys as hibernate does.

As a test, you might turn off fast startup to see how it works for you afterwards.

Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/25488-hibernate-sleep.html
Relevancy 56.33%

When i am turning off my PC i don't see the option to put my PC to Sleep or Hibernate !! Can some1 assist by tell me how to get it back on.

A:Sleep or Hibernate !!

To turn on the hibernate option, make sure you are logged on as administrator.Right click in an empty space on your desktop and select properties.Click the Screen Saver tab.Click the Power button (in the right part, above the Cancel button).Click the Hibernate tab and check Enable hibernation.Click Apply and then OK, the power option window will close.Click OK, the display options window will close.Now you should be able to use hibernation.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/225920/sleep-or-hibernate/
Relevancy 56.33%

Sleep mode doesn't work when lid close, why?
When i close the lid the sleep mode doesn't work the laptop still functioning and the same thing happen with hibernate I have Win 7 and have done this. Go to Start then Control Panel
Go to the category System and Security
Then go under the category Power Options
Under Favorite Fashion , click Change settings for the active mode
Click Change advanced power settings
Unroll Watch and ensure Hybrid and choose Disable
This hybrid mode is disabled thereby activating the standby mode normal and hibernate

It still doesn't work I check everything on those steps and all seems fine but when i close the lid and open it back again the screen is black with the laptop still functioning. Any idea why or how to fix it?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/my-pc-won-t-go-to-sleep-or-hibernate-why-586804.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I've had this problem in Win 7 as well, and I've changed everything I can think of including my bios, but I can't get my computer to just go to sleep, always goes to hibernate. My mobo is PCCHIPS A15G

A:Only goes to hibernate - won't sleep

A corrupt video driver can play tricks with standby / hibernate
Try reinstalling that first

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/251047/only-goes-to-hibernate-wont-sleep/
Relevancy 56.33%

Win XP will not Standby or Hibernate. Monitor also. I have adjusted the Power Properties many times. Is there a certain order that the Min's must be set to.

A:Why no Sleep or Hibernate

There's no special order for setting Min's.Did you exit the settings screen then go back later to see if the settings are retained?Is this a new XP install because apparently this can happen when you haven't installed your chipset drivers?Also go to Device Manager and see if any errors are showing, usually yellow exclamation marks.Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanksmessage edited by Derek

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/why-no-sleep-or-hibernate/203358.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Got a brand new Dell Inspiron 1525 with Vista Home Basic, and it will not sleep or hibernate.

Instead of sleeping or hibernating like it's supposed to, it goes through the process like it's going to work, then immediately restarts Windows and says that Windows had a problem when shutting down and asks me if I want to boot in safe or normal mode.

The thing is BRAND new.

A:Will Not Sleep or Hibernate

hi Entensity,

do you initiate the hibernate manually (function keys)? please post the error that you see.

thanks.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/will-not-sleep-or-hibernate-242124.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello.
I changed my Power option to "Power saver" and set my system going to Hibernate after 60 minutes but another option with the name "put the computer to sleep" is enable and set to "45" minutes and my computer never going to hibernate.
Is it my problem? Must I set "sleep" to "never" ?

Tnx.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/84f3356a-09e4-426a-92cd-1a3f22a074c9/sleep-vs-hibernate?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 56.33%

Dual Booting 7/8 on an eMachine T5234.

Won't timeout to sleep or hibernate, or hibernate even on command.

With old or new Nvidia driver delivered for Win8.

When I run last wake command after failure I get this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.8250]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet
An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine.

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

A:Won't sleep or hibernate.

I had similar problems under Windows 7, so I'm guessing the base issue is similar. I found my solution, by following the instructions found at Windows 7 Power Management: Fixing PC Insomnia The specific information that helped me, is the section under 'Allow Standby with Remote Opens' about halfway down the page.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/5277-wont-sleep-hibernate.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi everyone!
I'm having a problem.
I can't put my computer to sleep ou hibernate ... okay, i can buy only for a few seconds. After that computer wake up.
Someone can help me?
I don't know what i need to do.
Regards.

A:My PC don't Hibernate or Sleep - Help is need

You might read through this thread for some ideas.

Quieting Windows 7 down....

Have checked your Power Options via the Control Panel?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/72555-my-pc-dont-hibernate-sleep-help-need.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi I have a -bit AMD Athlon dual-Core HP Compaq Windows sleep hibernate or Can't Vista laptop I don t know how long this problem is going on but for a while already every time I put my laptop Can't sleep or hibernate to sleep or hibernate it wakes up by itself a few minutes later I m worried since I know that it s not good for Can't sleep or hibernate a computer to be on the whole time I tried many things that I saw online such as disabling quot WakeUp LAN quot in my Device Manager and making sure that my Mouse and other things aren t allowed to wake up my computer and that my computer can shut them off to save power Nothing helps The quot WakeUp LAN quot things helped for a few days and then I was back to square one I don t know what to do I d really appreciate if anyone has useful advice for me preferably something that doesn t involve messing with the registry or restoring it to a earlier restore point Thanks a lot nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

Acer Aspire 5670 / Genuine Intel(R) CPU / T2250 @ 1.73GHz 1.73 GHz / 2.00 GB RAM

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit (No SP Beta)

Microsoft Security Essentials

Hello,

My Acer laptop with windows 7 has been turning itself on automatically since a week.
I keep my laptop on my bedstand in sleepmode before I myself go to sleep.
For the past few nights my laptop has woken itself up out of sleepmode around the same time (5 AM) for no apparent reason.
Does anybody know how I can resolve this issue?
Thanks for any advice.

A:Computer turns itself on automatically

Hi -

KIS phoning home for updates is the likely culprit. Uninstall and see.

KIS Removal - http://jcgriff2.com/A-V_Removal_Tools/KIS_Removal.html

Reboot upon completion.

Install MSE - http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/computer-turns-itself-on-automatically-530851.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello Here is my problem I recently then on off Computer automatically turns bought a new psu So i was in the process of changing it I only plugged hd and my gfx card to make sure everything was ok So i set the switch on the new psu to the power position as soon as I set it up to on The computer fans started like they when my computer is booting then a second later it turns off When i tried pressing the power switch nothing happenned So i switched back to my old psu same thing happens Ive double checked every connector on my mobo and they re in their right spot Ive also tried with different ram bars to see if they wre faulty same thing Computer automatically turns on then off happens Ive also removed my bios battery to see if it would help nothong So im not sure whats left to do Can anyone enlight me Thanks sorry about my english skills it aint my main language nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

Hi.my HP 15-021tx shuts down automatically only when on battery power, even if the battery is at a high percentage. when the latop is plugged in, i never have this issue. I run my laptop most of the time plugged in.I am wondering if it would be my battery and i have to get a new one, or if there is some other issue that needs to be fixed? Please help! 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-15-ac021tx-Turns-off-automatically/td-p/5846657
Relevancy 55.9%

when power supply is plugged in =/

A:mobo turns on automatically

Crick said:

when power supply is plugged in =/Click to expand...

What? What do you mean?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mobo-turns-on-automatically.62281/
Relevancy 55.9%

this is rather annoying, at random times my computer automatically turns off. sometimes it restarts but other times i have to repeatedly press the power "on" button in order for it to turn on again.
why might this occur and is there any solution?

Relevancy 55.9%

Like the title says the computer turns off by itself after every mins or so Or rather the screen would suddenly go black and the words quot no signal quot would be shown on the monitor The computer isn t mine it s my uncle s I m staying over at his place for a week and he s asked me to check it for him Last night I tried changing the battery plan the plan before was to turn the monitor off every mins and the computer would be put to sleep every mins I changed it to never for both of them It was okay for the hour or so I was using it and I thought that it was fixed But just now I was in the middle of playing turns off itself automatically Computer by tetris on facebook and the screen suddenly went black and the Computer automatically turns off by itself words quot no signal quot was on the monitor I was pretty sure the computer wasn t off - the green light was still on However the keyboard didn t seem to be on as in the lights that were supposed to be green weren t green the screen was black and the fan wasn t on They aren t currently using emachines model EL with windows Computer automatically turns off by itself home premium installed The RAM is GB and it is a Pentium Dual Core E running at GHz Is there any way to stop it from doing that All help is appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Computer automatically turns off by itself

Firstly turn off your system. Open the back of your computer system then locate the memory(RAM) and hard disk drive. Than take them out and put them back
and restart your pc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-automatically-turns-off-by-itself.962731/
Relevancy 55.9%

OS Windows XP Home When I properly shut down my computer system the computer will automatically turn on Last night I turned it off at pm I got up at am the computer was running I shut it down on turns Automatically System again got up at am the computer is running again Last week at pm I was in the den the computer was not turned on I was reading and the computer automatically powered up I feel like gremlins are haunting us I have cable System Automatically turns on use Norton Firewall and Antivirus My system is always updated with Windows XP critical updates and my antivirus is updated One of the tech guys at work says even though you shut down a computer it is never really shuts down He says there may be a problem with the power switch He suggested after I shutdown my system unplug it When I mention this to people they look at me strange I haven t lost my mind What s happening I need help nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

This may seem very wierd but my desktop appears to turn on automatically at sporadic times. I have been present when this computer simply turns on by itself. What could cause this to happen? Thanks for any help.

A:Computer turns on automatically

A number of things;

1 Wake on lan is enabled in the bios.
2 Wake on ring or modem is enabled in the bios [and you have a modem]
3 Some mb actually have an option to start the computer at a given time; check this in your manual.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-on-automatically.479476/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi there..I'm new in here and please let me know,If the problem I mention is not related to crashes and debugging...
Well,well..My virtual memory is initially set to 1.5 times of RAM currently installed(4GB*) and the maximum is set to 3.0 times of the RAM installed..Now,the problem I get is,whenever I launch a game,My system automatically shuts down,after 5 mins of game play !! Even though I've the virtual memory set to default..I face the same problem
pls help !! thanks in advance !!
My system specs : Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit,
4GB of RAM,
Full Retail Version,
Nvidia GeForce 210,
i3 processor,
Age of the system(Hardware) : around 1 Year ,
Age of OS installation : around 1-2 Weeks.

A:System automatically turns off...

Quote: Originally Posted by krishnanteja

Hi there..I'm new in here and please let me know,If the problem I mention is not related to crashes and debugging...
Well,well..My virtual memory is initially set to 1.5 times of RAM currently installed(4GB*) and the maximum is set to 3.0 times of the RAM installed..Now,the problem I get is,whenever I launch a game,My system automatically shuts down,after 5 mins of game play !! Even though I've the virtual memory set to default..I face the same problem
pls help !! thanks in advance !!
My system specs : Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit,
4GB of RAM,
Full Retail Version,
Nvidia GeForce 210,
i3 processor,
Age of the system(Hardware) : around 1 Year ,
Age of OS installation : around 1-2 Weeks.

Memory corruption probably caused by a driver. please run these two tests

1-Memtest.

*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program.

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

RAM - Test with Memtest86+

2-Driver verifier

Quote:
I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/182026-system-automatically-turns-off.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hey!! I have just got a new system with specs- core 2 duo E7500, DG41RQ Intel chipset, 2 GB DDRII RAM. When i run heavy game like NFS under cover with windows xp, it runs ok... but as soon as i run some light task in background (like copying files, etc) and then play the game, my PC turns off automatically within 10 min after launching the game everytime...

Is it due to any hardware incompatibility or wat?? pls guide...

A:System turns off automatically

Download and install speedfan here and check your temperatures and voltages and post back!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/system-turns-off-automatically-412819.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello. I have windows 8.1 and I have noticed that my externall hdd turns off after a few mins of being idle (The led turns off as well.), but I can still see it on the windows explorer and it turns on again when I click on it.

Is that normal ? It doesn't happen on Windows 7

Thanks.

A:External HDD turns off automatically

Yes it is normal and is defined on power options "Change plan settings" then "Change advanced power settings"

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/35352-external-hdd-turns-off-automatically.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello Since about two weeks ago I've been having a bizarre problem with my monitor when I start my computer I'll have a picture for about two seconds then the screen will go blank yet the light on the monitor's power button is still on I can turn off my monitor and turn it back on and I'll get a picture for another two seconds or so and then the screen will a automatically Monitor while for turns off go blank again I find that usually if I let my computer sit for minutes Monitor automatically turns off for a while or so and turn my monitor off and on the screen will flicker and I'll get an image that lasts Also when I start up I'll get about two or three error messages that say quot xzxhrb exe has encountered a problem and will need to quit Do you want to send an error report quot Part of me thinks these two problems are linked since they first appeared at the same time However I was out of town the week before last right after I first noticed the problem and when I came back my monitor was working just fine I've still been getting the quot xzxhrb exe quot error messages though The monitor only just now started acting up again Does anyone know what quot xzxhrb exe quot is Norton Antivirus and Spy Subtract show nothing unusual Hewlett Packard tech support has been no help at all And yes I've checked to make sure my monitor cable's tightly plugged in and no re-starting doesn't solve the problem Does anyone have any suggestions Appologies if this is in the wrong section but I didn't see a quot Monitors quot category

A:Monitor automatically turns off for a while

It sounds like your monitor maybe overheating try having a desktop fan blow some fresh air in it and see if it still does it. As for the xzxhrb.exe error I have no idea and nothing came up with google. Try doing a search for the file and tell us what folder that file is located in. If I knew what program that is assicated with I might be able to figure some thing out.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/monitor-automatically-turns-off-for-a-while-61722.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello. I have windows 8.1 and I have noticed that my externall hdd turns off after a few mins of being idle (The led turns off as well.), but I can still see it on the windows explorer and it turns on again when I click on it.

Is that normal ? It doesn't happen on Windows 7

Thanks.

A:External HDD turns off automatically

Yes it is normal and is defined on power options "Change plan settings" then "Change advanced power settings"

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/35352-external-hdd-turns-off-automatically.html