Windows Support Forum

How to change user account administrator and doesnt need to log off

Q: How to change user account administrator and doesnt need to log off

How to change user account administrator and doesn't need to log off

Hello good day, I need help here. im new window 7 user and im a gamer too

i have a online game played that is able to have dual screen, last time im using windows xp on playing online game and i can do the dual screen type of play by changing the administrator and doesn't need to re boot my computer. Now im using window 7 and tried the same procedure by creating a new user account administrator in control panel, but when i right click the game icon and run as administrator it just directly go to the client game, but in xp you can change direct the administrator, but here in windows doesn't. can anyone help me

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How to change user account administrator and doesnt need to log off

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How to change user account administrator and doesnt need to log off

Hello ILYOU, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if you were wanting "Run as different user" instead??

Run as Different User

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/262108-how-change-user-account-administrator-doesnt-need-log-off.html
Relevancy 91.59%

I am using Vista Home Premium bit I currently have two accounts set up as an administrator One as my standard user account the other 'administrator' account I created awhile back when Adobe tech support helped me create it to troubleshoot installing adobe apps If I go to Control Panels - - gt User Access when I select any of the links quot Change your account name quot quot Change your account type quot Manage another account quot or quot Turn User Account Control on or off quot nothing happens Well I should say I get a windows UAC Accounts cannot is administrator, User but Account change dialog asking if I 'Agree' to make changes or whatever but then nothing happens I did try starting my PC in SafeMode but no change I tried starting up by setting 'msconfig' to have all services startup items off but that didn't help I can type quot control userpasswords quot to access stuff but I'm not sure if that helps me in anyway since I'm new to Vista Thanks

A:Account is administrator, but cannot change User Accounts

Have you Tried with Vista Administrator?

See Administrator Account For more Information

Hope This Helps,
Josh

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/282789-account-administrator-but-cannot-change-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 91.59%

Hello -
When I did my initial install of Win7 (fresh install) I created my Administrator account with the name of "Denis". I would like to change the name of the Administrative account to "denisl". I went into control panel and changed the account name, which worked, but the folder remained named as "Denis" under the "users" folder. How do I rename the folder named "Denis" to "denisl"?

Thanks!

A:Change user folder name of Administrator account

take a look at this tutorial User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/212928-change-user-folder-name-administrator-account.html
Relevancy 90.73%

Aloha All My issue started when I tried to delete files in the hidden cache of Dropbox I went into quot my change Account Administrator Control & can't User Permissions computer quot clicked on my C drive scrolled down can't change Administrator User Account Control & Permissions to quot Users quot and found file quot All Users quot with a quot locked quot icon attached I clicked on it and up popped an error message that I don't have permission to access this folder can't change Administrator User Account Control & Permissions I rightclicked on properties followed by the security tab The security tab lists user can't change Administrator User Account Control & Permissions groups everyone system administrator When highlited none of these groups contained quot permissions quot I tried to quot edit quot the quot permissions quot which opened another quot permissions quot dialogue box I clicked on each permission in the quot allow quot list for each group to no avail I went back the the main quot users quot folder and found quot locked quot icons on other folders quot default user quot and quot administrator quot which is my wifes and my names I've read with interest some of the amp threads of a similar nature but none of the problems were quite the same and the fixes didn't help me Sure hope the community can help me resolve the issue I've provided a screenshot of the quot System quot page from Control Panel Mahalo for all the help Konadon

A:can't change Administrator User Account Control & Permissions

Another case of someone messing with permissions that they should not have messed with. "All Users" is nothing more then a junction to "C:\ProgramFiles" when you messed with the permissions of that junction you just messed up everything else concerning the system. See the links in my signature.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/320074-cant-change-administrator-user-account-control-permissions.html
Relevancy 90.73%

I can not find any access to password for the Administrator user account. I have tried many options but that one is never listed. I am the administrator and there are no other accounts.

A:How do I change the administrator user account password in Windows 10?

If you're the administrator, and there are no other accounts, try the below steps.
Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in options -> Change your password
That should do it. Does that do it?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/432376-how-do-i-change-administrator-user-account-password-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 89.87%

Friends,

i have windows 7 x64 in my dell precision notebook.
i have administrator user and tommy user.
tommy user is in admin group. but not able to execute any program but its account type is standard.
then i logged in as administrator and went to UAC there i try to change the account type of tommy user from standard to administrator.....as soon as i click the administrator's radio button. the "change account type" is disabling...its not enabling.
how can i solve this problem?

thanks
sathyguy

A:Change Account Type button is not enabled even as administrator user

Quote: Originally Posted by sathyguy

Friends,

i have windows 7 x64 in my dell precision notebook.
i have administrator user and tommy user.
tommy user is in admin group. but not able to execute any program but its account type is standard.
then i logged in as administrator and went to UAC there i try to change the account type of tommy user from standard to administrator.....as soon as i click the administrator's radio button. the "change account type" is disabling...its not enabling.
how can i solve this problem?

thanks
sathyguy

Welcome to the forum,

If the first two options aren't working for you in this tutorial,

User Account Type - Change

then you can try the other three and see if that works.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/204948-change-account-type-button-not-enabled-even-administrator-user.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi,
I have a Windows 8.1 system on a lap top that was used by a former employee. Her name was still on user name and I couldn't change it without Admin privileges (otherwise was asking for a smart card). Found out how to get in to admin in safe mode with Net
User Admin yes- then discovered that the old log in and information / desk top is no longer available. The docs are under Users (old employee's name) in C drive, but the docs and settings no longer show up and the admin log in is the only one available - no
option to change users.
When I went in and said Net User Admin no - thinking if I disabled admin user it would go back to the old log in -  there was no log in available at all.

Help?
Launa

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/56c281dc-3368-4418-93ac-3cd96832c513/enabled-net-user-admin-to-change-an-account-name-cant-change-name-and-now-origial-login-account?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 76.54%

Hey, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium on my HP Pavilion Slimline Desktop and I need help getting my Standard user account back to Administrator. I can't run certain programs and I also can't install and uninstall anything. I don't have the Windows 7 Installation Disk to do restore. I have already tried Safe Mode and I can't enable and built in admin either. Please help me! Thank you!

A:How can I put my Standard user account back to Administrator when the ASP.NET Machine account is admin?

How are you trying to change the type of account?I don't have the Windows 7 Installation Disk to do restoreDo you mean System Restore? If you are, you don't need the installation disk to do this.To use System Restore click on the start orb. In the search box type in System Restore. In the list of results click on System Restore, if you are prompted for an administrator password type it in.Follow the prompts to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/479959/how-can-i-put-my-standard-user-account-back-to-administrator-when-the-aspnet-machine-account-is-admin/
Relevancy 76.54%

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64x and apparently the default user account (Owner) that I use is not working correctly. Unless I have UAC set to Never Notify, I cannot open Control Panel or UAC again. I have created a second user account as Administrator and it works correctly.

I would like to know if there is any way to fix this problem short of a clean install of Windows. If not, is it possible to move all of my settings to the user account that works correctly and delete the one that does not.

Thanks

A:Solved: Default User Account (Administrator) acts like Standard Account

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-default-user-account-administrator-acts-like-standard-account.1024887/
Relevancy 76.54%

Suddenly, the Windows 7 doesn't allow me to access my Admin Account and showing error msg (The User Profile Service service failed to Logon). I am left with only the Guest Account with limited access.
I tried copying the cmd.exe, using Fix It Program, login through Safe Mode but all didn't work.
Would anyone help pls?
HMK

A:The User Profile (Administrator Account) Service failed to logon and then left with only Guest Account in Windows 7

Hi,

Occasionally, Windows might not read your user profile correctly, such as if your antivirus software is scanning your computer while you try to log on.
Please try restarting your computer and logging on with your user account again.

If the issue still persists, please restart in safe mode to log on with the built-in administrator account:
1. Restart your computer and hit F8 multiples times until you see a menu-like screen, if you see the Windows splash screen then repeat this step
2. Highlight and hit enter on Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Try logging in there.
3. If you are able to login, once a command prompt pops up, type: net user administrator password /active:yes (you can specify whatever password you want for the administrator
account.)
4. If you get a message saying "The command completed successfully", then restart your computer by typing: shutdown -r
5. Boot up again pressing F8, but this time choose just Safe Mode.
6. You will be able to login as Administrator with the password you set in Step 3.

Then try the following methods:
Method 1: Fix these user account profile on these computer

Method 2: Log on to Windows and copy your data to a new account
Method 3: Delete the error SID and create a new profile
For the detailed information, please refer to this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215Karen Hu
TechNet Community Support

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7389c4fb-18f4-43a9-b827-64581ddfff06/the-user-profile-administrator-account-service-failed-to-logon-and-then-left-with-only-guest?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 76.54%

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64x and apparently the default user account (Owner) that I use is not working correctly. Unless I have UAC set to Never Notify, I cannot open Control Panel or UAC again. When I try, I get the error message listed below. I have created a second user account as Administrator and it works correctly.

I would like to know if there is any way to fix this problem short of a clean install of Windows. If not, is it possible to move all of my settings to the user account that works correctly and delete the one that does not.

Thanks

A:Default User Account (Administrator) acts like Standard Account

Hello,

Right click Computer and click manage. On the left hand side there will be local users and groups. Go to the Administrators group and just confirm that the Owner account is in there?
Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/194854-default-user-account-administrator-acts-like-standard-account.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I have two accounts on my XP laptop Changing Administrator To Account? Problems Account Normal User I have the Administrator account and a regular User account I had to do some administrative work with my User account so I logged in as the Administrator changed my User account Problems Changing Administrator Account To Normal User Account? to an Administrator account went and did my work I then logged back in as Administrator and tried to Problems Changing Administrator Account To Normal User Account? change my User Problems Changing Administrator Account To Normal User Account? account back to a normal user account but it wouldn t let me telling me that I have to have at least Administrator account for me to be able to do this I m not sure why it s telling me that because I still have my Administrator account I logged in as Administrator then went into Control Panel and then User Accounts Then I clicked on quot Change An Account quot Then I clicked on quot User quot Then I clicked on quot Change My Account Type quot But then on this page the quot Limited quot radio button is grayed out and I cannot change it and above it it says quot You must assign another user on this computer with a computer administrator account before you can change this user s account type This ensures that there is always at least one user with a computer administrator account on this computer quot Don t know why I m getting this seeing as how I m logged in as Administrator

A:Problems Changing Administrator Account To Normal User Account?

Nevermind. I figured out how to fix it. Instead of going through Control Panel->User Accounts, I go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management, and I'm able to make the change through there. Not sure why one method works and the other doesn't, but it does!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/93998/problems-changing-administrator-account-to-normal-user-account/
Relevancy 76.54%

I was having some trouble with Created disappeared new user Administrator account, original account a newly installed program failing to run Their tech support had me create a new user account start control panel user accounts create new account Created new user account, original Administrator account disappeared I did not realize that creating a new administrator user account by following their instructions would make the original Administrator user account inaccessible I dug through folders and found my documents and made sure they were all on my expansion drive Now I want my account back Otherwise I have to set up my entire computer again The thought of this makes me turn into a velociraptor who wants to destroy the tech support that told me to do this As of right now I have not internet connection on my computer I tried searching forums from my phone but it was extremely difficult not the best phone If this topic already exists and I just could not find it please accept my apologies for the duplicate and post a link Thanks

A:Created new user account, original Administrator account disappeared

I just remembered that I could CTL ALT DELETE twice at the Welcome screen to get to the logon and type in Administrator. I haven't used it in years, so it did not occur to me. I am now in my administrator user account. If I delete the new user account, will it go back to the way it was before? Or will I screw something else up by doing that?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/436013/created-new-user-account-original-administrator-account-disappeared/
Relevancy 76.54%

HELP!!! I've accidentally had Control Alt Delete on my Logon Screen. And from my laptop, I couldn't type it in with my keyboard, so I have to use Ease of Access and use the On-screen Keyboard. From there, it had a "Other User" Account which asks for a username and password, which I don't have because THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I've encountered an "Other User" Account.

I don't know how to retrieve my administrator account. I've been guessing several usernames and passwords for the "Other User" account (even my admin. username and password) but no luck.

PLEASE HELP!! IM REALLY DESPERATE.

Here's what my logon screen currently looks like:

ImageShack? - Online Photo and Video Hosting

A:How do I disable Other User Account in Vista and retrieve Administrator account?

Hello, wow , i have never seen this before, here is an idea, couldn't hurt to try it : force a shutdown by pressing the power button, it will then shut down, Then restart it, it should go to the F8 screen automatically, see if you can enter into the restore or repair functions or last known working configuration. Just a thought. Post back results please.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/293592-how-do-i-disable-other-user-account-vista-retrieve-administrator-account.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi I'm running Win Pro x and Office I installed a Bluetooth transceiver recently and developed a problem when replying to email in Outlook When I select an email to reply the email editor pops up with a quot Custom UI Runtime Error in Send to Bluetooth quot The solution to this issue is to disable the COM Add-In quot Send to Bluetooth quot in one of the other Office applications such Privilages Administrator Administrator allow won't User Account as Word However when I attempt to uncheck the quot Send to Bluetooth quot option I get an indication from a pop-up warning box that quot This add-in is installed for all users on this computer and can only be connected or disconnected by an administrator I am the only user on this computer and my user account is an administrator account I have the system to start to the desktop without any intermediate log-ins or any intermediate screens How do I let Word User Administrator Account won't allow Administrator Privilages know that I am an administrator so I can disable the COM Add-In and stop the offending pop-up every time I reply to an email Thanks in advance for your assistance Regards

A:User Administrator Account won't allow Administrator Privilages

You could try right clicking the program and choose run as administrator. Then try to disable the addon.
Although with Microsoft software it usually is smart enough to prompt you with uac when you need to change something like that.

Interesting...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/303904-user-administrator-account-wont-allow-administrator-privilages.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Since this a security forum, I thought it would be nice to see how many of our members bother creating a Standard User Account or simply use the default Admin User Account.

Anyone is free to explain their own reasoning for choosing a type of account if he/she wants to.

Currently I use a Standard User Account. Decided to try one a few days ago, and so far I like it. I don't find it that much annoying or bothersome(so far)

https://malwaretips.com/threads/administrator-account-vs-standard-limited-user-account.61626/
Relevancy 75.68%

My Windows7 suddenly displayed a default desktop. I then did an unsuccessful system restore, tried the undo and got stuck.

From there on, when I want to log in I end up at the error message "The user profile service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded".

I tried to activate the administrator account by using "net user administrator /active:yes". The command executes, but administrator never shows up on the login screen.

I cannot start Windows 7 in safe mode. A few seconds after the safe mode login screen appears the computer restarts automatically. No administrator account is listed here either.

I tried kb/947215, but only S-1-5-18, 19 and 20 show up (regedit from the command prompt, since I cannot log into Windows 7 in any mode.

The startup repair doesn't find a fault. What now? I want to avoid a clean install, if at all possible...

A:User account corrupted, administrator account not accessible

You could try a Repair Install: Repair Install

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/228388-user-account-corrupted-administrator-account-not-accessible.html
Relevancy 75.25%

dont know user account control password AND no administrator user so i cant download/install anything, cant update, and i cant change any settings someone please help PLUS i just got this computer iv read some other entrys where people had the same problem as me they said to do a system reboot in safemode but i dont know how. can someone help me? thank you

A:dont know user account control password and no administrator user

after the bios loads but before windows start to load hit f8 and you get your windows boot options.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/232566-dont-know-user-account-control-password-no-administrator-user.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Hello,
Cousin has an old Toshiba he bought pre loaded with W7 Home Premium. He was running it as he got it and I had him add a standard user account for general use and a quasi-administator account for working. He has been running that way for a while. Today I needed him to look in the C:\ Users account and it shows the quasi-Administrator, his standard user and a Administrator.
Is it hard to get rid of the Administrator account, that isn't showing up in User's Accounts from the control panel.
Thanks for any help!
Glenn

A:No Administrator shown in User Account, but shows in C:\User ?

Hello Glenn,

The "C:\Users\Administrator" user profile folder is for the built-in elevated "Administrator" account. It's only created the first time that the built-in Administrator account has been enabled and logged in to.

When the built-in "Administrator" account is disabled, it will no longer be displayed in "User Accounts" (Control Panel) or the log on screen. However, it's user profile folder will still be there since it contains that account's personal settings and such.

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable

Is this what you are referring to?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/304394-no-administrator-shown-user-account-but-shows-c-user.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi, I've been caught at school playing games on my computer .. so they took it from me, they deleted all of the games, and they changed my user account into a standard account! Do they even have the RIGHT to do this? Anyways, I want to change my standard account into an administrator account There's another account on my laptop called "Iconnect". This is an administrator account, and it's password protected. Can I get into this account and change my account to administrator? Please help me as I'm on spring break and I wont go to school for another 2 weeks !

A:How can I change my standard account into an administrator account?

No one can help you here about this problem I'm afraid.......

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-change-my-standard-account-into-an-administrator-account.897996/
Relevancy 74.39%

I recently logged onto my account about days ago to finish a project The music file I used for the account was could not be found and when I went to locate it I was told I didn't have administrator rights I went to Control Panel because I was sure I was an Administrator but sure enough I was set as a Standard User I tried changing it up but it wouldn't change I tried changing the account name also and it wouldn't change I could only change account picture I can't open UAC I click it and it blinks but nothing opens I went online and tried these suggestions I deleted any recent program installations I booted in safe mode however I was still not able to change my account I tried activating the hidden administrator account but I received an quot access denied quot message I tried creating a new account but I received the following message quot The specified account name is not valid because account names contain the to Account!!! an Administrator standard I account change a can't following characters quot lt gt Please type a different name quot I didn't use any of those characters in the account name I ran different virus scans and they came up with nothing I turned the computer off unplugged everything and pressed the power button for seconds and rebooted but still nothing My roommate shares this computer with me and her account is still an administrator However she has traveled and I haven't been able to get hold of her yet We share music files and the file I can't change a standard account to an Administrator Account!!! I was trying to I can't change a standard account to an Administrator Account!!! use is in her account Any ideas why my account was changed and how I can change it back

A:I can't change a standard account to an Administrator Account!!!

You are going have to wait for your roommate...
Anything we could do would be consider hacking and that is against forum rules.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/214841-i-cant-change-standard-account-administrator-account.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hello all First post for me -- glad to have change account administrator cannot No account type -- found this site Extremely useful I ve recently noticed that I ve lost No administrator account -- cannot change account type adminstrator account priviledges on both my laptops I ve got Windows Home Premium edition When I am logged in to my original account which was set up as an Administrator account and I go to Change Account Type the quot Standard User quot button is active When I click on the Administrator Account button to change it the Apply button becomes greyed out I have two accounts that were set up as Administrator and both show the same thing Curiously the account icons that show up on the login screen and on the control panel screens still carry the label quot Administrator quot Maybe this is normal for Windows but if so very confusing What I ve tried so far Activated the No administrator account -- cannot change account type built-in Administrator account logged into it tried to elevate the two accounts to Administrator with the same results above becomes greyed out when I click on the Administrator account type button Ran virus spyware scans using SpywareDoctor Malwarebytes and Windows Security Essentials No serious threats found other than the cookies etc on SpywareDoctor scan Malwarebytes and Security Essential scans were clean Started up in safe mode No administrator account -- cannot change account type -- same result I originally noticed the problem due to the fact that Itunes would not update -- gave me the message that I didn t have administrator proviledges even though I was logged in to and admin acct I was since able to update by downloading the update to my desktop and using right-click -- quot Run as administrator quot So administrator priviledges are still there for that mode Thanks

A:No administrator account -- cannot change account type

At what level is the User Account Control?

(Open the start menu type uac and hit enter.)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/378286/no-administrator-account-cannot-change-account-type/
Relevancy 74.39%

hello ever one,
i am mahesh,
accidentally i disabled administrator account in local users and groups-users-properties of administrator account-put tick in ACCOUNT DISABLED.I have on guest account.now i am accessing that one.but i can't able to login in ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT.any body help me how to enable administrator account from guest account by command mode or registry.I know administrator account password.

If any body known plz give me best suggestion.

Thank u.
T.S MAHESWARA REDDY

A:how to enabel administrator account in user account

Hi Mahesh,

Which version of XP, home edition, professional or media centre? I think the procedure depends on this.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-enabel-administrator-account-in-user-account-617319.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I have a local user account that comes up as the default user when Windows10 boots up that I would like to remove.

I have tried the usual user modification menus but this account does not show up. It is annoying to have to go through this false log in every time I start the computer.

Help?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/62651-delete-local-user-account-change-default-account-start-up.html
Relevancy 72.67%

So this is probably the strangest problem I have ever encountered with Windows About two or three months ago I noticed that my user account had suddenly changed into a guest account I get prompted for an administrator password when trying to do any tasks that require administrator privilege It is not a huge hassle as I know the administrator account password Here a change changed it User can into account, I account how back guest is where it becomes very strange When I turn my computer on it automatically logs me into my user account the guest account When I got into the user accounts section of the control panel and try to manage user accounts it shows exactly zero user accounts on my computer Also when I try to change my user account the guest account to an administrator account precisely nothing happens It User account changed into a guest account, how can I change it back gets evens stranger When I log out of Windows the only user account I can pick from to log back into Windows is the generic quot Administrator quot account My user account is nowhere to be found When I go to the control panel and try to manage accounts only the administrator account is listed There is an option turn on a generic guest account but nothing related to my original user account is shown Again this is in contrast to when I am logged into my user account the User account changed into a guest account, how can I change it back guest account and see exactly zero user accounts listed on the manage accounts screen I feel that I am pretty good at avoiding bad websites and I do have an antivirus program installed not that that will prevent my computer from being infected but I have used it to do full system scans and I have found nothing on my computer every time Additionally I have Windows updates set to be automatically installed so all of the updates have been installed on my version of Windows I tried asking Microsoft support directly all I got was that no user accounts showing up under the manage user accounts tab is a pretty bad sign and that in order to fully diagnose the problem I would need to sign up for the quot Assure Plan quot or whatever it was called which cost for one year Forget that option for now Does anyone know how to resolve this issue How can I switch my original user account from a guest account and then how could I make it an administrator account once I have retrieved it so-to-speak from being a phantom guest account I mean I know the administrator password and all and so I have been able to essentially use my computer as if nothing is wrong But this whole issue seems very very strange and so I want to see what you guys have to say about it I hope these are not the signs of a more serious and potentially major issue Thanks in advance for anyone's help with this

A:User account changed into a guest account, how can I change it back

Hi and welcome to the Forum
When you refer to the generic Administrator Account do you mean the Account that is hidden in Windows 7? If so did you activate it using this:
Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable If you did the above then this is strange as forgetting the "Hidden admin account you must have at least one ordinary Admin account in Windows 7. You can't operate the system without one!!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/335636-user-account-changed-into-guest-account-how-can-i-change-back.html
Relevancy 71.81%

An account on my Windows 7 installation cannot have its type changed from an administrator to a user account.

I tried to change it using the cmd and I'm getting these messages:>net localgroup administrators AccountName /del
System error 1377 has occurred.

The specified account name is not a member of the group.

>net localgroup administrators AccountName /add
System error 1378 has occurred.

The specified account name is already a member of the group.
I recently used a livecd to change this account to an administrator since I had forgotten my password to another account, and now I need to change it back.

What should I do?

A:User is both an Administrator, and not an Administrator. Cannot change

If you login to an administrator account, you can try this.

Right click on Computer and select Manage. The Computer management console will open up. In this console on the left side select "Local Users and Groups". On the right side of this applet double click on "Users", Select the particular user you wish to change and right click on it and select "properties". Go to the "Member of" tab and you will see the different groups alloted to this user.

Now you can add, delete these groups to suit your requirement.

For changing the password for a user, right click on the username and select "Set Password".

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/215428-user-both-administrator-not-administrator-cannot-change.html
Relevancy 71.81%

HELP! I changed the "adminstrator" account name and now it won't let me in.

A:Change Administrator account name

Which administrator account are you talking about? Did you set it up or was it set up for you as soon as you did the install?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/64637-change-administrator-account-name.html
Relevancy 71.81%

My fiance gave me his Windows 7 computer a few months ago, but he still uses it periodically. Because I am the new owner, I would like to know how to change the Administrators' name/account from his to mine. When I do change it, will he still be able to access his private accounts (i.e. bank info, etc.)? The computer is mine but, like I said, he still uses it--primarily for his bank info. Thank you for your help.

A:Administrator Account Change

Make yourself an user account and keep it as part of the Admin group.
Go to Control Panel, User Accounts..., Add or remove user account, then create new account.
Type the name of your new account and select the Administrator type and then create account.

Log out of the current account and then log in using the new account name.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/administrator-account-change.1147820/
Relevancy 71.81%

I have purchased a laptop from a friend. Just prior to my purchase Windows 10 got loaded. The compter has one account which is an administrator account. I think that the same account information is used as a login to Microsoft. I would like to remove the account and substitute my own administrator account. How do I do that.

Thanks for you help.

A:Change to a New Administrator Account

Here's what you need to do:
Sign in to current admin accountCreate a new user account for yourself (tutorial)Change the new user account's account type to administrator (tutorial)Sign out from the old admin accountSign in to your new admin accountDelete the old admin account (tutorial)
Kari

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/34405-change-new-administrator-account.html
Relevancy 71.81%

hi,
i wanted to replace a file with a patched one inside windows folder.
i followed instructions i found on other sites but nothing works:
i disabled UAC (user account control), disabled all other user accounts except administrator account, re-started and logged on using safe mode to administor account.
then i tried to replace the file but still i got the message that says that "i need permeation to do that action"
does someone knows how can i manage windows as i want to?
( i use vista 64bit ultimate )

thanx

A:administrator account won't allow me to change anything

This "Patch" is it from Microsoft?
If NOT who?
And what is it patching?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/administrator-account-wont-allow-me-to-change-anything.621340/
Relevancy 71.81%

Have just got a new PC with Windows XP Pro. Spent all day setting it up and when I booted up this morning it was to a new screen etc. Discovered it booted as Administrator while all my settings etc are on a User account. Not sure how this happened - was it something I did and does it matter? I suppose I can set it to boot to User.

Have searched the archives and there is one showing how to change the accounts - should I do this or just leave things as they are? It is a single user computer

Thanks

A:Administrator/User account

thats easy.If you created 2 acounts by accident. Go to my computer click on controll panel go to user accounts there you can pick to either change a acount add acount change the way a user logs on or off.Hope that helps

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/administrator-user-account.513585/
Relevancy 71.81%

Hey I want to run a program or utility that I have for XP The only problem though is that I have to be logged in as the name quot Administrator quot not just administrative priviledges So I went into my Control Panel and looked at the users listed there was none by the name Administrator So I proceeded to add a new user with that name except when I did I got an error stating something like quot User with this name already exists quot I wasn t sure Administrator User Account why Administrator User Account that was so I went to my Documents amp Settings folder and there wasn t any Administrator folder under there So now I went to my account which I am currently using and tried changing my name to Administrator to see if that would work and it didn t it came up with the same error again I ve been trying to figure this out all night lastnight and all morning today but haven t been able to resolve it Except I did find one thing which may be causing it I went onto my network and found that on the other computer that s connected to my network and only other one that there is an Administrator folder under the Documents amp Settings folder I was wondering if that account could be causing this conflict And if so how can I fix so that I can have the quot Administrator quot account on my computer since I am the administrator of the network Any assistance and help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 71.81%

so why after every version of firefox the browser will never remember the signin Info for my email account on hotmail??

as well i have win xp and 512mb ram and fox sucks it up every version the memory leak is horible

A:Firefox 16 still doesnt remember hotmail account user info

The site that MS uses to sign on (login.live.com) uses JavaScript to create the login form and the Firefox Password Manager currently doesn't work with such forms.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f369/firefox-16-still-doesnt-remember-hotmail-account-user-info-672992.html
Relevancy 71.38%

the "run as administrator" option? If you're the administrator, aren't all programs "run as administrator" by default?

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to delete something via Spybot, and a message appeared on the screen saying I need to run the program as an adminstrator in order to perform the deletion.

A:If my user account is the administrator account, why the need for...

By default, an administrator account behaves in exactly the same way and with the same privileges as a standard account. Some programs, however, need to be run at a higher privilege level, even when run from an administrator account. In these cases, you need to right-click and select Run as administrator. Depending on the account you are currently using, you will be asked to provide administrative credentials (from a standard account) or confirm that you want to elevate (from within an administrative account).

This is part of the improved security in Windows 7, and is designed to make it harder for malware to get on your system. Of course, it isn't infallible, so you must always keep alert.

This is controlled by means of tokens, and a standard account has just one whereas an administrator account has two, a standard token and an administrative token. In normal use, both types of account use the token with standard privileges. When you right-click and select Run as administrator (see above), you are instructing the program (and that program only) to use the administrator token and to run with full administrative privileges.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/133688-if-my-user-account-administrator-account-why-need.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I have purchased a used Asus laptop that already has Win 10 installed on it from the original owner. All of the settings on the computer are linked to that owner's Microsoft account and administrator account. Is there a way for me to change the administrator information to my Microsoft account and email? I can log in using the old owner's password to access the administrator account, but I don't see any way to change the account to my information. If I create a new user account and make it an administrator account, when I log in using the new account, there is no access to any of the apps I need from the original account. Thanks.

A:Change original administrator account

I don't have the answer to your question except..................

You can change the old owner's password if you want. Use this tutorial :
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...a.html#option6
Use Option Six

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/41391-change-original-administrator-account.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I am using an hp pavillion dv6 notebook pc with windows 7 home premium

A:How do I change my account from administrator to standard?

Go to Control Panel (icon view) and select User Accounts, if the user account that you want to change is not showing, click "manage another account" and select the account you wish to change. Once you have the account showing, click "change your account type" tick the Standard radio button and click "change account type"

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/How-do-I-change-my-account-from-administrator-to-standard/td-p/1197893
Relevancy 70.95%

Hello, my daughter and I share the same computer. She changed my account that was administrator to Standard and then clicked on this : require password when computer wakes. Now everytime i download something the download works but then the security question pops up and says i require a password and i have to type it below but it wont let me type it below because the setting : require password when computer wakes needed administrator account to function but now because i have standard it wont let me type a password. i tried changing the account type but the same thing happens and i tried : change settings that are curently unavailable and its the same! please help me because it wont let me download stuff for my work . thank-you

A:I cannot change my account to administrator problem PLEASE HELP!!

Hi lpellerin,

Reboot into Safe Mode. If there is no other administrator account on your computer, this will automatically bootup into the built-in administrator account. From there, you will be able to set your account back to normal. I strongly advise that you protect this account with a password and also create another account for day-to-day work, this time a standard account, and protect that with a password (do not divulge either of the passwords to your daughter).

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/212555-i-cannot-change-my-account-administrator-problem-please-help.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hello I have a problem i got a new laptop at work and the account to How being account permissions administrator change without the i use for logging is the same as the old one but on a different domain Sadly this new account has limited permissions where the old account on the old computer had How to change account permissions without being the administrator administrative access But both computers are on the same localgroup I tried enabling on the new computer the How to change account permissions without being the administrator built in administrative account to change my accounts permissions but when i try to confirm the changes i get the security prompt for the admin password and account Tried all How to change account permissions without being the administrator the steps as in the link below Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable So i was wondering if there is a way to increase the permissions without being the administrator or is there any way i could access the account from the old pc and admin account there Just to say the reason our administrator IT guys had a car crash and he wont be in office for a month and i need that account to change so i can install my work software on the new pc i've been waiting for a year to get

A:How to change account permissions without being the administrator

Hello TJ, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Sorry, but no. You must provide administrator credentials to be able to.

Plus, it would violate the forum rules to help to bypass this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/330040-how-change-account-permissions-without-being-administrator.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hello My problem is - I CAN'T change back MY USER ACCOUNT from 'STANDARD USER to an 'ADMINISTRATOR' Now my account is a 'standard user' and i was UNable to change back MY ACCOUNT to an 'administrator' at the user account When i try to change 'ASP NET Machine account' account type i was UNable to change back account to administrator Cannot my change it to 'Standard User' the note given i ''must assign another user on this computer Cannot change back my account to administrator to has an administrator account before you can change this account type'' how i can do that Next at my user account i click at the change account type after that i choose 'administrator' but it still as a 'standard user' it was UNable to change back my account to 'Administrator' Only account at this computer My account now as a 'standard user' where are the first account as administrator at this computer the ASP NET as an 'administrator' when i accidentally change my user account type to 'standard user' and it automatically changed the ASP NET as an administrator at this computer the last account is Guest the Guest account is Off Only me use this computer I was ACCIDENTALLY change my user account from 'ADMINISTRATOR' to 'STANDARD USER' after that ASP NET Machine account AUTOMATICALLY changed as an administrator at my computer and now i CANNOT change back my account to 'ADMINISTRATOR' i want to change back my user account from 'standard user' to an 'administrator account' Can you tell me how to CHANGE BACK my user account to ADMINISTRATOR Please

A:Cannot change back my account to administrator

Start in Safe Mode by pressing F8 on boot. Safe Mode
Then you can login as user "administrator" (try blank password). Now you can change your user type

UPDATE:
Sorry but what I said isn't working!
You have to logon with an account with admin rights to do it. Since this is impossible for you you have to enable the built-in admin account called "administrator". Is has a blank password by default.

For 32bits win7 it's easy, for 64bits win7 more difficult

Built-in Administrator - Enable from WinRE

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/200427-cannot-change-back-my-account-administrator.html
Relevancy 70.95%

All,

I realized today that I do not have access to my system's "Administrator" account though happily I do have admin privileges in another user account. Using "net user administrator" I learned the Administrator account is not active but a password is required to to make any changes. Unfortunately I no longer have the Administrator account password.

Using the admin privileges in the user account can I change the password for the Administrator account. If yes, how?

Thanks.

mummyboy

A:How to change Administrator account password

I found the answer; run command prompt as administrator, change Administrator to active using 'net user Administrator /active:yes", then "net user administrator [new password]". Thanks for playing.

mb

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/357582-how-change-administrator-account-password.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi,
I have two user accounts "XYZ" administrator account and "PQR" Limited account. I logged into the XYZ administrator account and tried to change password, it was asking for my current password and new password...but finally I click "finished", it pops up window "password cannot be changed"....

Even I tried to enter into 'inbuilt' administrator account by pressing f8 on bootup but I cannot login into the administrator account as well

A:cannot change xp administrator account password

Hi Common,

Try the password again - I'm pretty sure that there is a 24 hour change timer in place in XP.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-change-xp-administrator-account-password-553493.html
Relevancy 70.95%

when running in cmd i must be administrator to make the commands work

how do i make my user account be the administrator

i dont want to right click and run as admin all the time

A:how do i make my user account in win 7 be the administrator

Go to User Accounts within the Control Panel, then click on Change Account Type of your user.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/245900-how-do-i-make-my-user-account-win-7-administrator.html
Relevancy 70.95%

First I'm sorry if this has already been answered I've searched the forums but haven't been able to find an answer to my situation When I right click on a program from my user account no admin privileges and choose to account working. as from User not Administrator Run quot run as Administrator quot I am not prompted for the Administrator password The program then prompts quot XXX needs local Administrator privileges quot This has been happening on all programs I have downloaded recently not just one in particular I do have a valid Administrator account In the past on the same computer same OS I have been able to right click select Run as Administrator then enter a password Run as Administrator from User account not working. and continue unhindered I am not sure what has changed but I now have to log in to the actual Administrator account to install programs when I used to be able to do it from my user account by running as administrator Any help getting quot Run as Administrator quot to work on my lower privileged user account again is greatly appreciated

A:Run as Administrator from User account not working.

Have you tried a sys restore to a time when all was well?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/309109-run-administrator-user-account-not-working.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I have a friend who is running Windows XP Home Edition. It seems they no longer have an ďadministratorĒ logon name. When they get to the screen to logon, it shows her childrens logon name and they can login fine. The problem is they have very limited priviliges so no programs can be installed, users added, etc. Under the User accounts setting in the Control Panel the only user account is for her kids, there is no administrator account listed.

It used to be she could sign on by just typing in her administrator username with no password and it would work fine.

I did not think it possible to remove the local administrator account. Any suggestions?

A:Missing Administrator user account!

If it is XP Home, Boot into Safe Mode and login as the account named Administrator.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-administrator-user-account.451873/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hello,

I am currently unable to delete my old Administrator user account on my Win 7 PC. I log onto my new Admin account and go to the Control Panel and then to add or remove user accounts. I select the old account select delete, and then confirm. It does not let me do this. However, oddly there is no error message, it just sends me back to the page I was on previously and the account is still there. I also cannot demote it to a standard user account.

All help welcome, thanks in advanced.

Tom

A:Cannot delete Administrator User account

you can't remove the administrator acc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-delete-administrator-user-account.1004211/
Relevancy 70.95%

How can I run a program as administrator in a user account that isn't administrator? I need this since I can't update chrome on a non administrator account . Windows 8 gives me an error but I can't find a way to start chrome as administrator. Thanks in advance.

A:How to run a program as administrator in a user account ?

Right click the software and select properties, then click advanced and tick the box "run as admin".

Run as Administrator - in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/17823-how-run-program-administrator-user-account.html
Relevancy 70.95%

quot administrator user - Is an unelevated administrator account that is created by default during the installation of Windows or is already setup or you on a OEM ex Dell computer An administrator account has complete access to the computer and can make any desired changes To help make the computer more secure this administrator account type will be prompted by UAC by default User-Administrator For Password The Account to give confirmation before allowed to make any changes that require elevated administrator rights Such as those that affect the system other users or when running anything elevated Run as Administrator since running Password For The User-Administrator Account elevated will allow it to have access to the entire computer quot The above was taken from a Forums tutorial Is it possible to require a password for this account when operating Password For The User-Administrator Account in the standard User Account For example when I update the Windows Defender definitions I right click the file and click quot Run As Administrator quot It does so without requiring a password When quot Run As Administrator quot is clicked I would like to have to enter a password Possible or not

A:Password For The User-Administrator Account

Add a password to your administrator account.

A Standard user will be prompted for the password for "Run as administrator".
You will also need to enter the password to login to the administrator account.

Don't lose or forget the password !

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/266918-password-user-administrator-account.html
Relevancy 70.95%

i need to get into the administrator account on this laptop.

i barely know any information about this computer.
i am on a limited account.

it is a dell inspiron 1100.
& i am using windows xp pro.

obviously, i need to get the password for the administrator account.

i would really apprececiate some help on this matter.
please & thanks.

A:I need into my administrator user account but don't have the password.

Ask the administrator.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-need-into-my-administrator-user-account-but-dont-have-the-password.52618/
Relevancy 70.95%

By mistake, I have deleted the administrator user account from my Dell notebook (I am running XP Pro). All that is left in the user profile section of my user accounts section of my control panel is one guest account.

I cannot even gain enough authorization to do a system restore or defrag.

I backed up all my data and attempted to reload Windows XP to fix this, but the computer would not let me do this because I do not have administrator privileges.

How should I proceed?

Relevancy 70.95%

I somehow have managed to delete the administrator user account on my wife's computer. There still exists a limited user account. How can I create an administrator account again?

A:Deleted Administrator User Account

Hey Ocra Jones, Welcome to TSF.

I'm not sure it's possible to delete an admin account (if it's the only admin account). XP usually insist's on having atleast one Admin account at all times.

You might be able to create another admin account by booting into safe mode and logging into the hidden admin account and creating another one that way.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/deleted-administrator-user-account-204732.html
Relevancy 70.95%

After changing one of three users to add in parental controls i cannot now change any of the accounts to 'administartor' from 'standard'. This means i cannot change the parental controls back after a period of 'e-grounding'!! Any ideas?

From Newbie to forum, confused and in daughters dog-house.

A:user account problem with administrator

Hi David and welcome to Vista Forums.

If you do not have any administrator accounts to use to change an account type, then boot into Safe Mode and see if you can change the account type from within there. You should startup in the built-in Administrator account while in Safe Mode if you do not have any regular administrator accounts. You could also just create another administrator account to use instead.

For Safe Mode:
Safe Mode

For Account Types:
User Account Type

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/170669-user-account-problem-administrator.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Cannot find a path in my Win 7 Professional 32 bit User Management files to remove a second User Administrator unused account.
I need to find the forum where this has been answered.?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/701d7efe-73e3-434b-bdda-9ce65071f251/how-to-remove-a-second-administrator-user-account?forum=TechnetSandboxForum
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi

I have a laptop running Windows 7 where I have an administrator account and a user account set up (not the Windows 7 guest account). When someone logs onUo the User account there are two *.exe files which do not run without requesting administrator passwords to run. How do I set these files to run without administrator passwords in the User account? They are not harmful applications and are related to the battery management on the laptop.

CeeGee

A:Administrator Password In User Account

Here is a link. Not sure if will help, but helped me.
Add Take Ownership Option Shortcut in Right Click Menu of Windows 7
Go down to the link that says download "take ownership"

Unzip the file, using WinRar.

While in said user account, go to the files you unzipped, double-click the "install Take ownership.reg"

It will install a right-click option in the context menu that allows you to take ownership of a given file or folder.

BE ADVISED: maybe make duplicates of the .exe files in question in case it doesn't work. Or you can re-download them again I guess.

If it works and you are done and happy, you can double-click the "removeTakeownership.reg" and it will remove the entry from your registry as well as the option in the right-click context menu.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/77270-administrator-password-user-account.html
Relevancy 70.95%

My administrator account has disappeared from the computer.  We still have one user, but that wasn't set as administrator so we can't updated anything. I don't want to lose all of my pictures and documents.  I have tried a system restore, but it pops up with the old administrator account/password screen.  When I click ok, nothing happens and it says it can't find it. Is there a way to add the account back to the user group?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Administrator-account-has-been-disconnected-from-the-user/td-p/5704993
Relevancy 70.95%

Can somebody give me a way to deny the NET user password change in command prompt.

A:Administrator Account Hack - NET User

Do you want to prohibit a particular account from running the NET command? You can right click on that file, choose properties and then security tab. There you can deny that account access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/administrator-account-hack-net-user.718677/
Relevancy 70.95%

I just found out about the hidden Administrator account in 7, herp derp. I hate UAC prompts and I want to use the account. How can I migrate everything from my old user account to Administrator while not breaking any program dependencies or anything like that?

A:Migrating User Account to Administrator

You might want to read this article, but it doesn't sound particularly easy: Configuring Default User Settings

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/176093-migrating-user-account-administrator.html
Relevancy 70.52%

pls i cant change from microsoft account to my user account on the windows 8 preview platform
can somebody help with this solution. Thanks

A:cant change from microsoft account to my user account

What problems are you having when you try to switch from your Micosoft account to a local account?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/5820-cant-change-microsoft-account-my-user-account.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi all.

I am using Windows XP Media Center Edition and I would like to use my current account as a Limited user account.

I realise that I will need at least one administrator account on my PC -- so I go into user accounts, create a new administrator account, then I try to change my current account to a limited account, but it will not let me!

See the screenshots;

I would like Admin to be administrator, and Dell07 to be Limited... I do not have the option to change Dell07 to limited for some strange reason.

I have managed to do this on my parents PC easily. I simply created another Administrator account, then changed their account to a limited one. I don't understand why this will not work on Windows XP MCE...

Any idea why this is happening?!

A:Help change my account to a limited user account!

You should log-on to the administrator account thru safe mode and this will allow you to change the account you want to so it will be a low-admin account. You can not change the account you are logged into t anything other than the account it is because it is the active account.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-change-my-account-to-a-limited-user-account.664247/
Relevancy 70.09%

I was using the "Windows XP Services Tweak Guide" in the OS Resources section of your website.

I followed the instructions in the guide and modified the services using the services utility.

I restarted my computer. When I logged on, I was greeted with a message saying that I had modified my services and that I could revert back to using the default services or continue with my modified ones.

I clicked ok to continue and got the message that the changes couldn't be made because I was not on an admin account. I am however using the only account on the desktop and have checked to make sure it is an admin account many times.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tpie.

A:Running administrator account but cannot change certain features.

The Administrator here should reply to this but use
Sight Feedback.

Go to Start Menu,Settings,Control Panel,Users accounts.
It's all there to configure.
Take your Users control back.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/running-administrator-account-but-cannot-change-certain-features.91440/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hello,

My Windows XP Home SP2 account is an Administrator and I just installed a FPS game and I cant run that game because it produces an error saying that the games EXE folder needs to writable.. but when i try to make it writable windows tells me "Access Denied". How do I correct this so I can play my game??

also, of the files and folder it DOES let me change the change doesn't actually happen.. it looks like it does but it doesn't

j

Relevancy 70.09%

I have forgot the Administrator password to the Administrator account. There are only two accounts, the Administrator and the Guest account. I am using the latter. Is there a way to recover or change the Administrator's password without actually being on the account?

A:Administrator Account Password Recovery or Change

Sorry but our rules state that we cannot help you recover any passwords.

Quote:

ASSISTANCE WITH ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES

We will not provide any user with information about the location of websites that assist with software pirating, hacking, password cracking and keystroke recording software. Furthermore we will not offer advice, assistance or instruction with regard to any of the above activities, illegal or otherwise.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/rules.php

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/administrator-account-password-recovery-or-change-209214.html
Relevancy 70.09%

i got this computer from someone and i want to delete the other users and the admin..or make me the admin..however i can not do anything because i dont have the password for the adminastrator...i cant get into the bios without a password i cant even do a diskcheck..it just pops up with the name and wants a password..i cant delete any of the users nor can i add one..i am riding on the guest and unable to change anything or view anything...what can i do?

A:administrator account/password need to delete / change

Hello Sissyh20, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You'll need reset CMOS, and do a clean install of Windows for this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/327827-administrator-account-password-need-delete-change.html
Relevancy 70.09%

want to upgrade to windows 8.1 but i opened command prompt and saw i was logged in as user.
how do i change to admin to scan the system in order to continue my upgrade

A:how to change user to administrator

Open the command prompt with Administrator privileges and then type in net user administrator /active: yes before hitting the Enter key. Once it's told you this works, close the command prompt, log off, and now you should see the built-in Administrator account appear as a logon option. Click on that and, if it has no password, ensure you apply one once the profile is created.

Do what you need to do with that, log off, log into the original profile, open the command prompt with Administrator privileges and then type in net user administrator /active: no before hitting the Enter key. This will deactivate the built-in Administrator account.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-change-user-to-administrator.1159584/
Relevancy 70.09%

I just setup my new computer. There is only 1 account, which was setup originally as administrator. It was changed to user and now I would like to change it back to administrator. How do I do this? FYI...when I click on add or remove user accounts, it asks for an administrator password, since I'm no longer an administrator, the password space is blocked.

A:Change user to administrator

Only the administrator can give admin rights. I have no idea if this would work, but you could open the cmd prompt as administrator and enter

net user administrator /active:yes

This may make the administrator account show up. Your mileage may vary...

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/247779-change-user-administrator.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I notice a new folder in my user account, since I did a re-format of my HD and reinstall of Vista Home Premium:
Name of Folder: {ea8b157b-a6f0-45cd-b0df-f2ddfe77ceaf}

Here is a snapshot of the contents of this folder:

Here are its properties:

My question is can I safely delete it?

A:Notice odd folder in my User (Administrator) account

Click on folder and see whats inside. Hope its not pandoras box LOL

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/286157-notice-odd-folder-my-user-administrator-account.html
Relevancy 70.09%

OKay, so i just got vista and my cousin et up the accounts and my sister is the administrator. I wanted to download something from the web but i needed administrative permisisons, and seeing that my sister can be a total [email protected]#^% sometimes she won't let me change me to the administrator for awhiel whiel id ownload the thing. I tried to figure out her password but no luck. I searched the web trying to see if there was a way around it, but nothing helped. Can anybody tell me if if can do something here?

A:USer account password/administrator permissions

I would suggest you speak to the administrator - your sister.

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/233926-user-account-password-administrator-permissions.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Does using User Account passwords on Vista make it more secure? It sure is annoying to have to enter it all the time!

We have two logins on our computer both setup as Admin, and I read on here or another geek board that passwords should be used on Admin accounts. Is this true or does it not make a big deal since our firewall is pretty good.

A:Vista User Administrator Account Password

Yes, its always a good idea, malware and viruses can easily by pass a firewall if you browse to dodgy side by accident and they can get control of your computer. I would also recommend keeping UAC on to ensure further security.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-user-administrator-account-password.707821/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi everyone. I have a 2 account setup on my Windows 7 x64 Professional laptop: One admin account, one user account.

I use the user account primarily. For the longest time, everything worked fine: I could elevate programs to administrator level as you would normally expect through the UAC prompt.

However, something happened, and I'm not sure what... now, I cannot elevate anything as a regular user. Right clicking and running as administrator just runs the program under user permissions, or throws an elevate error if it requires elevation.

I have checked the following:

- UAC is on
- the Secondary Login service is on and starts on startup
- all other essential services are on
- malware scans have been completed

For the sake of fun, I switched my user account to an admin account and it still doesn't work.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Relevancy 70.09%

I'm wondering if a person with a limited user account in Windows XP has access to see what the administrator ahs been doing on the internet? Is there a built in component of Windows that log time spent on internet sites? I'm wondering cause one of my limited users appears to know what and where Ive been and for how long. I don't know how they figured it out but I know that I don't even know where to look for a timer for my own activity much less someone elses. Please advise as to how this was acomplished so I can quit felling perplexed.

A:Limited user account able to spy on administrator activity in Xp???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/limited-user-account-able-to-spy-on-administrator-activity-in-xp.82466/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi.

I am the only user on my system and there is only a single account. Control panel shows my account as having full administrator rights.

However, whenever I try to do literally anything, even the simplest operations like moving, deleting, or renaming a file, a prompt appears every time asking 'You will need to provide Administrator permission to do this' and I have to click a YES to go ahead.

The more annoying thing is that when I am using some software involving the above functions (renaming or over writing files) the operation completely aborts with an 'access denied' message.

Nobody uses this computer except me and I want to have full rights to do anything.

Thanks for help.

A:How can I have full 'Administrator rights' for my user account?

Hello Seymoria,

Administrator accounts do not run elevated by default for security purposes. This is done so that nothing on your PC will also be able to run elevated without you first getting a UAC prompt to approve it. Once you click on YES, then it runs elevated for only that session and instance.

It's not just about keep unauthorized users from running anything elevated, it's to prevent say malware from being able to run elevated without you knowing about it and it having full access to everything on your PC.

This is why it's not recommended to use the built-in elevated "Administrator" account for everyday use, but only as needed instead.

If you insist, then you could use the tutorial below to elevate the privilege level of all administrator accounts to be the same as the built-in Administrator account to have full access. Just be warned, that everything that runs while you are signed in will also have the same unrestricted rights.

User Account Control (UAC) - Elevate Privilege Level

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/351805-how-can-i-have-full-administrator-rights-my-user-account.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I need to use System Restore but I canít access it. I think System Administrator settings need to be fixed, but I canít even open User Accounts window from Control Panel anymore. I was administrator but now I don't have access to system restore?

Relevancy 70.09%

Hi!

I never created an administrator account before I let my son take over my laptop, screw with the administrative accounts so I don't have one, and now I can't download software for my camera.

Now that I've been locked out of administrator accounts, how do I accomplish the installation and further more, how can I get my admin account back and thus regain control over my own machine?

Thank you!

A:changing user name and password on administrator account

We can't help you with this because we have no way to verify that you actually own this computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-user-name-and-password-on-administrator-account.770230/
Relevancy 70.09%

Please help me. This is my first post. I lost my password-protected administrator's account...it and all the files are nowhere to be found. Is there any way to retrieve it and all the files? I am using Windows XP. Please help me. Thank you.

A:Please help...accidentally deleted administrator user account

Are you talking about the account "Administrator" that is there by default? Or is it another account that had admin permissions?

If the second (I'd like to know how you deleted a system account - they are protected), you may be able to recover the data - you'll need some data reocery software like RecoverItAll (just google for it).

Don't use that machine for anything - leave it powered down. Remove the HDD, and install it in another machine as a slave. Install the recovery software and have it check the slave drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/please-help-accidentally-deleted-administrator-user-account-78127.html
Relevancy 70.09%

This is a very strange problem that has been happing We run Windows Server all the client PCs run Windows XP Pro ----- We have on user who can login to her PC fine but if she tries to login to a different PC it will let her login but not load any of her files rather than My Documents linking to her My Documents on the server it links to the local only the she to connect PCs her can User account is administrator where to local My Documents in her profile User can only connect to her account to PCs where she is the local administrator on the actual PC All the other network drives work fine so she can connect to all the shared stuff etc but just not her own personal files my documents desktop etc I have logged in fine on her PC and the others that we tested her account on after some playing we found out that on her PC she is set as the local administrator if we remove that as she shouldn t really be set as admin she suddenly has this connection problem and likewise if we set her to local admin on one of the other PCs sudenly the problem is fixed Any ideas why this might be happening Thanks very much for any help that anyone can give nbsp

A:User can only connect to her account to PCs where she is the local administrator

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-can-only-connect-to-her-account-to-pcs-where-she-is-the-local-administrator.597233/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi,
after I started up my new Dell inspiron with Vista Premium 32bit , I set up an admin account for myself and two additional user accounts for my kids. While I was logged on one of the kids messed with the account info. Now I am locked out of the admin account, but am still able to log in to my kids account.
Is there any way to recover the admin account or create a new one without having the old info?
thanks
bayern:confused:

A:lost administrator PW, still have access with one other user account

Hi Bayern, and welcome to Vista Forums.

This tutorial may be able to help you by resetting the password for that account. You may need to use Method Three.

Reset User Account Password

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/179542-lost-administrator-pw-still-have-access-one-other-user-account.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I installed Windows 8.1. I can sign on without using an administrator password. However, to open documents I get the User Account Control asking me to enter an administrator password. I didn't get this with Windows 7. For instance, when I go to Windows Update and I want to right click on optional downloads to hide the update, I get the User Account Control box asking for the password. Is there any way to delete or disable the Administrator Password function in Windows 8? Thanks in advance.

A:User Account Control and Administrator Password

What account are you using what type is it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-account-control-and-administrator-password.1124992/
Relevancy 70.09%

Lenovo T400
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1
Intel Core2 Duo P8880 2.67GHz
4.00 GB RAM

User-defined administrator account does not load at boot.
Have 2 options on startup. One is a standard user, the other is "Other Users". The same options appear when you "Switch User".
After logging into the standard user the user-defined administrator account can be seen in "User Accounts" in the CP.
The built-in administrator account is disabled and cannot be enabled, even in safe mode, as it has to be done from an administrator account.
When clicking "Other Users" at startup and entering the login details for the user-defined administrator account they are rejected.

Any help would be appreciated.

A:User-defined administrator account does not load.

Didn`t know a standard user could create an admin account.

I would try again, enabling the hidden admin account to create another admin account.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/320251-user-defined-administrator-account-does-not-load.html
Relevancy 70.09%
A:Please help lost administrator user account folder

Quote: Originally Posted by mikenz88

Hi,

I have been using my new Sony Vaio for months now - every time I restarted the System Out Of Box Experience was shown. This would not work properly and I kept cancelling it as I did not know what it did and stored all data in the administrator user folder - the user name was administrator.

Today I upgraded to Ultimate 64 from Home Premium 64 and the Out Of Box Experience was shown again after first booting up following the upgrade. This took me through a setup process and created a new user account.

Now I only have one new user account and cannot see any of the files from the original administrator account (i.e. all of my files). I cannot locate these but the Windows folder is about 45GB which seems big. I estimate my files were 15-25GB.

I desperately need to get these files back as I have formatted my old laptop and do not have up to date copies on my backup drive.

Any ideas where the files have ended up and how to recover them?

Two things when you upgraded you probably created a windows.old folder with all of your old data. Second you can enable the built in administrator account but that one is not the same as your other user. If your other user was administrator there may be a way to get it back.

So what was your user name?

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/85431-please-help-lost-administrator-user-account-folder.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I have one user that is the Computer Administrator account.

I set up a password on for it and then removed the password (this was done to test something on my network and the password is not really needed) and now my Computer Administrator account is hosed.

It is behaving as if it is a limited access account. I can not remove or add software, nor can I access programs that I should have access to.

I have logged off & back on. I have rebooted multiple times. Nothing has corrected this.

I've searched but can not find the answer to this specific problem that I have.

Wondering if I can make a new computer administrator account, log into it & then delete the current one (hosed up one) that I have and be back in business? Or does this sound like a more complicated problem?

A:Windows Administrator user account Hosed

Go to Control Panel / User Accounts in Windows XP
How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-administrator-user-account-hosed.451920/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi, I have been getting quite frustrated with the UAC message constantly popping up on my Windows 8.1 laptop. There are two accounts on my laptop and mine is the only administrator. My problem is when I try to move the slider from always notify to never notify it says You must be logged on as an administrator on this computer to select this setting. Any information on this would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance.

A:User Account Settings administrator problm

For anyone else having this problem, I'm not 100% sure what it was or where but I found something that needed updating. After that the computer restarted and everything was fine.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/72128-user-account-settings-administrator-problm.html
Relevancy 70.09%

When you install a program from within Administrator account should it automatically be available from within the User account as well?

I installed a program from within the Administrator account but when I go the the User account it is no where to be found.

Is this program specific?

A:Program not in User account when installed from within Administrator.

It should ask you if you want to include all users on a well-written program. If you missed this option you can run a Repair or Change install from Control Panel>Programs and Features, or run the program installer again to select the option.

If the option isn't present, then you might need to install it from the User account where it is missing, which might also offer a Repair or Change install. . This is how I've handled it in the past.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/250850-program-not-user-account-when-installed-within-administrator.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi i have recently migrated to Win from Win Pro and am coming to grips with the elevated security MS has dropped on us Either by design or accident when i installed Win i made my account a standard account not an Admin account Following the steps outlined on this site which has been highly useful i save. will not user Administrator account to Changing have learned Changing user account to Administrator will not save. that the home edition of Changing user account to Administrator will not save. win which i have is rather more useless in changing many settings that were taken for granted in win My issue in changing my account to an admin account is after successfully activating the admin account and signing into that the changes i make in that account to my standard account are not saved or reflected when i log back into my standard or what should now be an admin account My standard account remains a standard account no matter how many times i log into the admin account and change the account type Is there a step i am missing I am more than frustrated by the lack of ease win has infused into what should be a simple process of having my account be the administrator account Thanks in advance for your help and please query me at your leisure for any clarity or information you need Cheers Neilo

A:Changing user account to Administrator will not save.

Try creating a new user account from the Administrator account and making it an administrator. On a clean install the first user account is by default made a member of the administrators group. It still doesn't have full administrator privileges unless you use the "run as administrator" option. This due to UAC and is there for security and safety reasons. Turning UAC off will essentially make you a full admin without having to switch accounts. The true Administrator "account" is disabled by default as its only really needed in an emergency. It can be accessed when needed though. Oh, its not Windows 8 Home, it's Windows 8 Core. And yes, its missing a few features available in Windows 8 Pro. That's why it costs less than Pro.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/46538-changing-user-account-administrator-will-not-save.html
Relevancy 70.09%

hi.
i recently received a problem where my laptop wanted me to type in the password for my account. however, i never set a password and i only noticed a few days ago that there actually was a password. i remember sending my laptop in to have the hard drive wiped, and it must have been them who set a password but made the computer bypass having to type it in when the computer starts up. i have tried starting in safe mode and trying the administrator account but it appears to have a password too. the hint for the normal user account is welcome1 which i have no idea what it would be. is there a way i can get into the computer?
thanks

A:Administrator and User account both have unknown passwords.. anyway to get in?

Sorry TSG forum does not help with passwords

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/administrator-and-user-account-both-have-unknown-passwords-anyway-to-get-in.875074/
Relevancy 70.09%

My year old son was trying to bypass Cyberpatrol and in the process of tring to change his account from an adminstrator to a standard user I ve made things worse I changed the administrator account in his name to a standard user account but there was no other administrator account on the PC other then something called CYBERPATROL SERVICE which is an administrative account istalled automatically by Cyberpatrol This was the first mistake Then he guessed the password to Cyberpatrol and attemped to uninstall it it only half uninstalled it leaving a real mess of error messages and no access to let me change anything I can now neither cannot administrator access problem account ; User reinstall cyberpatrol or unistall it nor can I see a way to log back in as an administrator to effect any changes to put things right Three emails to cyberpatrol have elicited no response so I m coming to the conclusion the onlu way out is to reinstall Windows and find a different web filtering program- is there any way to log back in a an administrator I didnt delete the admin account only changed it to a standard type Then If I can get back in as a administrator how can I User account problem ; cannot access administrator get rid of the unwanted Cyberpatrol Thanks for any suggestions nbsp

Relevancy 70.09%

help! I changed my user account to a limited account for security reasons and now there is no administrator account on my computer. Therefore, i am unable to perform any administrator tasks. How can I make my account back into an administrator account if you must be an administrator to do so? I am just learning about computers so please be specific with any advice that you can oofer me. It will be deeply appreciated.

Relevancy 69.66%

Hi there,

In Win-7, as an admin-user, it was easy to change the picture from another user. In Win-8 I'm only able to find where I can change my own picture. Can't I set it anymore for other users?

Cheers.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/11409-change-user-account-picture-another-user.html
Relevancy 69.66%
A:Want group to enable administrator account but not change its password

Sorry, What is it you are asking?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/258841-want-group-enable-administrator-account-but-not-change-its-password.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Okay Administrator accounts change User so this is my problem About two weeks ago my mother got to keep a laptop from work because she was moving schools and it was quot outdated quot It was User accounts Administrator change on a school domain so it had her login from the schools At the login page all i had to do was type quot name name quot and the password and that was fine She did not use the laptop anymore so she gave it to me Even though she was a administrator i was getting sick of logining in as her all the time so i tried User accounts Administrator change to create a new account I want in to controle pannel and tried to make one but it came up with domain and user name i tried to create a account but it was saying the trustrelationship with this domain and Lt-D- JK S the laptop were denied I went through another way to create a account through some workgroup thing it worked When i had to log on i would have to type Lt-D- Qjk S username and password It only happened about two days ago that it started to have some problems I could only log on to my account even though it had many different users in the laptops hard drive it would say that i got my password wrong when i tried to type them in the main problem is that i cant do anything because i am not an administrator and i kept being denied when trying making system changes and copy files on to a memory stick So plese help me if you can cause i really need it

A:User accounts Administrator change

Since you know how to log in with your mom's admin account that should give you access to those settings. Who are all the other users?
As admin why not delete the password, problem gone.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/203303-user-accounts-administrator-change.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I changed my administrator user to standard user and now I can update any programs on my computer. when a user control window pops up its states to continue type an administrator password and click yes, the yes button is greyed out and does not allow me to enter a password.

A:change from standard user to administrator

You need to log on as an administrator user and change it back. What OS are you running on it? Allso how many other users are active ont he computer?

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/56869-change-standard-user-administrator.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I have a 2-month-old Dell Inspiron 15 notebook running Windows 8.0, and trying to upgrade to 8.1. I have plenty of HD space and 4GB memory. I have 2 user accounts, one with admin designation. I want to change the admin to the other, but I cannot. When I try to change the user accounts, I get a message requiring the account with admin to OK any changes. When I enter that account's password, I get a message that the password is incorrect. I changed the password in the "reset password" site online, but that password doesn't work in the change users part of the PC. So I am stuck. Right now, I cannot affect any changes to the system, because that requires the OK of the admin user account, and that in turn requires a password, which seems not to match the password that I entered for that account. Please advise. Thanks.

Sam K.

A:Cannot change administrator in user accounts

Hi Samkrit, welcome to the Eight Forums.

I assume your administrator account is a Microsoft Account and with "reset password site online" you mean the Windows Live (Hotmail, Outlook.com, MSN, Live) password reset site at https://account.live.com/resetpassword.aspx. Also, I assume you signed out from the original administrative Microsoft Account and signed in to your secondary standard account trying to change the account type from there.

If this is the case, sign in to your original administrative Microsoft Account using the new password. When signed in, change the account type of your secondary account from there, you don't have to be signed in to that account to change the type but instead can make all changes for all accounts from your administrative account:

First:

Then:
If changing the type of your secondary account now works, you can change your original account to standard.

Tutorial: User Account Type - Change in Windows 8

Kari

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/48840-cannot-change-administrator-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hai
I am install windows 8 ,and my account is Administrator privileges ,if i see in control panel in User Accounts my account as Local Account Administrator Password Protected,but i cant run application as administrator,every time i need to click Run as administrator, and also i cant create folder or cant zip the folder in C drive.
it will show warning msg
" Cannot create mcl.rar A required privilege is not held by the client."

but i have administrator privileges .

Pls reply asap

Regards
Aravindb

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/36961-how-change-administrator-privileges-user.html