Windows Support Forum

Black screen w/cursor after Windows load screen - Nothing fixes it

Q: Black screen w/cursor after Windows load screen - Nothing fixes it

Whenever the Windows loadscreen load Black after - it fixes Windows screen Nothing w/cursor screen passes the screen goes black and I can move a cursor around the screen I have had this happen before and fixed it with bootrec exe but I can't seem to get that to work this time Startup repair says it cannot help - Safe mode Black screen w/cursor after Windows load screen - Nothing fixes it has the exact same Black screen w/cursor after Windows load screen - Nothing fixes it black screen problem I have done chkdsk and sfc scannow - Didn't fix it When I Black screen w/cursor after Windows load screen - Nothing fixes it boot into Kaspersky Rescue from a USB drive it mentions that I need to shut down windows properly before continuing I would like to do this but I can't I have tried changing the active partition on information in some of these other threads - It didn't seem to work All disks are healthy according to the DISKPART and Partition Wizard I have done the HP hardware diagnostic scans and everything comes up fine I see that a lot of the advice on the threads is to do a fresh install - Is it really broken beyond repair at this point Does anyone have any other ways I can try and fix this problem

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Black screen w/cursor after Windows load screen - Nothing fixes it

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Black screen w/cursor after Windows load screen - Nothing fixes it

Hello saturnn and welcome to Seven Forums.

One of the Forum experts prepared this troubleshooting guide for Windows 7 failure to boot issues. Even though you've tried several of the suggested fixes I'd still go through the tutorial and try the steps in the order listed.

Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/268184-black-screen-w-cursor-after-windows-load-screen-nothing-fixes.html
Relevancy 110.08%

I have a HP a6683w running Windows Vista. When you turn the computer on it comes up with the HP screen but then goes to a black screen with a cursor blinking in the upper left corner. You can select F10 setup and get it to come up and also the ESC key works but the F11 (system recovery) will not do anything as well as F8 (safe mode) also will not do anything. Any ideas for a fix would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

A:Windows won't load -- black screen with cursor

The C drive may be corrupted or going bad. Try running CHKDSK by going to Computer and right-click on the C drive. Select Properties, tools, check now. Put a check in both boxes to set a disk check on the next start up. Any errors mean trouble

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-wont-load-black-screen-with-cursor.184164/
Relevancy 108.79%

I have windows bit I left windows Black stuck with cursor after load screen my computer on over the weekend was running a mine craft server from it and I left to go on a trip Sometime that night the server went offline When came back today I found m computer at the windows recovery manager Black screen with cursor stuck after windows load I have no clue what happened my computer hasn't been acting up Black screen with cursor stuck after windows load at all I first tried a boot repair and it didn't find any problems I restarted it and a chkhd ran and it said that disks needed to be checked for consistency I let it perform this and it began to quot replacing invalid security id with default security id file xxxx quot it finished Black screen with cursor stuck after windows load but still got stuck on the black screen after windows loaded I ran a memory scan and it finished without detecting any problems This black screen with cursor happens if I try to run in normally or also in any safe mode so basically I can't do anything I do not have any system restore points there is no factory restore option it's a gateway and I do not have a windows cd Does anyone have any insight or suggestions I've searched extensively and can't find any solutions Thank you for any help I'm kinda desperate I really need my pc this week

A:Black screen with cursor stuck after windows load

Also worth noting, I can not ctrl+alt+del at the black screen.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/156315-black-screen-cursor-stuck-after-windows-load.html
Relevancy 108.79%

Hi This is my first time posting here I ve noticed that many people appear to have had the same problem but when screen blinking Windows cursor load Black won't I read the responses I can t seem to find one that fits mine in particular perhaps I just don t understand how to implement them When I hit the startup button I get the IBM thinkpad logo and quot to interrupt normal startup press the blue access IBM button quot and then the screen goes black with a blinking cursor on the top left hand corner and Windows won t load Out of frustration I tried re-arranging the boot priority order and network boot priority order but returned them to the default settings because I m not technically proficient I also tried following the Black screen blinking cursor Windows won't load instructions for getting into safe mode from the microsoft site but hitting F doesn t work This problem may be virus related because I got an avast warning yesterday that it detected a windows malware and moved it to the chest I declined the option to restart at the time - I was working on some stuff - later I inadvertantly put it on standby without scheduling a boot scan on startup Anyway next time I tried to boot up I started having this problem I did have the windows security virus two weeks ago and managed to remove it but I don t know if this is related My laptop s a Thinkpad T Type with Windows XP professional no disc it was loaded for me - I have the product key Appreciate any assistance in resolving this Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 108.79%

I have a Dell XPS desktop running Windows Home Premium -bit Last night cursor screen Black blinking with Windows load. won't 7 I was checking Hotmail and then I left the computer for about an hour Upon returning all I saw was a Windows 7 won't load. Black screen with blinking cursor black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner I Windows 7 won't load. Black screen with blinking cursor have no idea what happened while I was gone nor the sequence of events that occurred resulting in this black screen I have tried restarting the computer but I keep ending up with the black screen cursor Here s the sequence of events I experience when attempting to restart Press power button After a few seconds I see a circular Dell logo A blue status bar at bottom advances fully from left to right Also on this screen are instructions in the lower right for F Setup and F Boot Options Finally it ends up on a black screen with the blinking cursor in upper left corner Sometimes before the blinking cursor appears it will say keyboard failure but often times it doesn t say anything at all and just goes straight to the cursor I have tried both the F and F commands but honestly I have no idea what I m looking at nor what to do once I get into those options In the F command I did get into a Diagnostics screen It ran an extensive check called Dell ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment Service Tag GLQ FP which took several hours I let it run overnight It appeared to run a check on a list of Devices System Cables OS Booth Path CDROM Hard Drive Video Card CPU Fan Rear Fan Multi-processor Cache and Memory but it says no problems were found Also I m not sure if this is helpful information or not but a few years ago my friend installed a second hard drive in this machine If I recall correctly he set up the new hard drive as a slave drive and the original as the boot drive I think he set it up so I would save all my files and documents to the new slave drive while the original boot drive is used only to house the OS and all the system files etc So at this point I m desperately seeking help from the experts here I would greatly appreciate some assistance Thank you in advance Eric

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/windows-7-wont-load-black-screen-with-blinking-cursor-1067610.html
Relevancy 108.79%

Without prompting, black screen on boot-up appeared today, windows 7 system fix does not fix problem.

Apparently I had no restore points saved, or if I did, they are now gone.  I frankly don't remember if I had any.

I came across a topic here handled by Marius, which showed how to run FRST64 (I run windows 7 64 bit professional).

When I ran it, no fixlist was generated.  the text file for the run results showed everything whitelisted so far as I could tell, with no system restore points.

Any suggestions?  Will post text file from frst64, if thought helpful. 

Mod Edit:  Deleted FRST data, nof allowed/used in this forum, see No DDS, HijackThis, or ComboFix logs - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum-167/announcement-45-no-dds-hijackthis-or-combofix-logs-should-be-posted-in-this-forum/ - Hamluis.

A:black death screen, ineffectual arrow cursor, frst64 finds no fixes

This is the topic I had been following, with Marius.

Frankly, prior to finding this thread, I thought I might simply have video hardware issue, as I've been using the motherboard video architecture since I built the computer, and have never added a new card.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/545141/cant-boot-goes-to-blinking-white-cursor-on-black-screen/?hl=+windows%20+black%20+screen%20+boot

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/548486/black-death-screen-ineffectual-arrow-cursor-frst64-finds-no-fixes/
Relevancy 108.36%

my PSU went out and i had it replaced and since i replaced it i havent been able to boot my pc i plug everything in and hit the power button it load blinking no on boot, cursor Black screen... screen immediately immediately goes to a Black screen blinking cursor immediately on boot, no load screen... black screen with a blinking underscore cursor in the upper left corner about of the way from the left side all my fans work the hard drive is running Vista bit AMD Phenom x e GHz ATI Radeon x Pro Gb RAM Power supply was from another pc i had that i didnt use anymore same wattage just had the pin PCIe connector i needed the one currently in it is the stock one that came with the tower no clue what to do F F ESC DEL keys dont work to get to BIOS the only responses i get are CTRL ALT DEL kind of restarts i think my monitor goes to standby when i do it for a brief period of time but then fans kick on again and same black screen also when i hit the pause break key it stops the beeping that is coming from the mobo note if i hit the key during the beep then its continuous noise anyone have any advice any would be appreciated Edit - just to clarify i get zero load up of anything there is no loading screen prior to the black with blinking cursor as soon as power is on it immediately goes to this screen Edit - again i forgot to put that the pin PCIe connector needed for the x pro is non existant in the new PSU and i havent gotten an adaptor yet for it dont know if that would be the reason i cant boot BIOS or windows the original graphics card was onboard and when installing the driver for radeon it said to disable the driver for the onboard card to ensure that the radeon worked properlly

A:Black screen blinking cursor immediately on boot, no load screen...

sounds like you need the PCIe power connector to run your video card. Try removing the card and enabling the onboard video until you get a new PSU or adadpter.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-blinking-cursor-immediately-on-boot-no-load-screen-421982.html
Relevancy 107.07%

Hello,

I bought a new computer in September, Dell N5050. The first problem occurred in November, I made prntScr: http://i49.tinypic.com/2gsjp5y.png
This problem is solved: I thought it's a virus, I downloaded Advanced SystemCare (I had McAfee) this scanned my computer and found a four Trojan.

Then came a new problem.
I turn on computer, starting windows, black screen with a cursor about 8-9 minutes, log on and welcome screen loading about 5 seconds.
OR
I turn on computer, starting windows, black screen with a cursor about 1-2 minutes, log on and welcome screen loading about 6-7 minutes.

I really don't know, what it depends on.
What is problem? How I can fix it?

PS: my native language isn't English. Sorry for mistakes.
PS: I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

Thanks,
theHappie.

A:Welcome screen load time or black screen with a cursor

First thing I'd do is getting rid of Advanced System Care. It's a system optimizer, and Windows 7 does not like optimizers. I'd bet that it is responsible of the slow start.

Second, ASC isn't an antivirus, or if it is I never heard of it. Which isn't a good sign. Install a good antivirus and run a full scan, I like Avira (my favourite, which is free and nuked all evil things I threw at it), but other people like Microsoft Security Essentials (again free, but less powerful than Avira).

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/271290-welcome-screen-load-time-black-screen-cursor.html
Relevancy 106.64%

Hello, I recently started getting a black screen when trying to turn on my laptop, a Sony Vaio running Windows 10. I am unable to download the DM log collector tool since I cannot use my computer at all. It stays on the black screen even if I let it sit for hours. It's possible that I backed up a Windows 10 file when originally upgrading from WIN7 but I'm not sure and if so, it would be on an external hard drive. What can I do? Please help. Thank you so much.

Mike
US Navy

A:Stuck on black screen, large cursor arrow and windows will not load

Please follow this guide here & edit your thread & upload files accordingly to enable to us to help you more quickly. BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/36577-stuck-black-screen-large-cursor-arrow-windows-will-not-load.html
Relevancy 104.49%

Hi I really hope someone can help me I have a fujitsu lifebook with windows on it I had an error message pop up when i tried to click on google chrome this morning so I closed it and attempted to re-start my laptop then AVG pops up telling me I have a virus so I allowed it to quot clear quot said virus I then wont screen and cursor with page, windows stuck load black Laptop past restarted my laptop and it would not go to the login page I attempted system repair to no avail I then allowed chkdsk to run and there were a lot of quot security ID repairs quot I have also tried f and booting from my windows installation disk Non of Laptop wont load past windows page, stuck with black screen and cursor these options have worked I get the fujitsu screen then the windows loading screen then instead of the log in screen which would be next I get a black screen with the cursor visable and you can move the cursor but nothing else works and no keyboard shortcuts work someone please help I've been told to restore the OS but i cannot afford to lose all the files on my laptop

A:Laptop wont load past windows page, stuck with black screen and cursor

Since AVG 'cleaned' a virus - all bets r off as the problem could be a leftover from the virus. apparently, a (some) system files r damaged. Going forward, u might not want to run normally as an admin user. That helps keep malware from invisibly installing if the AV does not catch it. 1. have u tried booting to safe mode? If u can get there try this clk Start - type CMD -- rt clk cmd.exe and select Run as Admin when the dos window opens type 'sfc /scannow' let it run retry boot when done. 2. If u can't get there or that doesn't work put ur windows CD in and boot to that. Run the repair install - or it might be called upgrade. Just do NOT do a CLEAN install. That will not erase any of your data. 3. If that does not work If u get a Hiren's boot disk, or something similar. U can boot to that and most likely copy ur data from the drive prior to doing a clean install. This assumes the drive isn't corrupt which appears to be true since it gets to the Windows screen. 4. If not u will have to remove the drive and connect it to another computer as an external HDD to copy the data. 5. If none of the above works - u have come to the complete understanding of the word BACKUP................ good luck

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/295857-laptop-wont-load-past-windows-page-stuck-black-screen-cursor.html
Relevancy 101.48%

I have a Dell Vostros 230 and I am running Windows 7. Yesterday I accidentally downloaded Search toolbar. After deleting everything possible I downloaded Autoruns to see what was in my start up. After Autoruns ran for a second the pc then shut down and has had the black screen with cursor every since. I put the reinstallation disk in to repair and can't get system restore to work. Any suggestions?

A:Black Screen with cursor, won't load Win 7

Can you start Windows in safe mode?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/394382/black-screen-with-cursor-wont-load-win-7/
Relevancy 101.48%

Firstly this isn't my laptop It's a low-quality laptop that was bought years ago so not in the best of shapes Apparently this has occured before but when I try a normal startup it spends ages with the W logo and then progresses to a black screen with a white cursor I can only OS Load Cannot Up - Cursor Screen Black with assume that when it happened before after a couple of restarts it progressed but I was asked to reinstall W and then after restarting after the updates this error occured Then as an attempt to solve it I inserted a fresh HDD and installed windows again after updates the error occured Now it won't even let me install windows again It loads the files and then the W logo appears and to the black screen again I then stuck the HDD's in as an external HDD to another laptop and it Cannot Load Up OS - Black Screen with Cursor failed to read them as though they'd been corrupt The computer is a Msi Cr I'd appreciate any help Also I've attempted safe modes and last known good configuration The end result is the same Thanks Danny

A:Cannot Load Up OS - Black Screen with Cursor

Hi Danny, Welcome to Sevenforums.

Try clearing the CMOS (unplug the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for few minutes). At restart, it would wait for F1.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/312043-cannot-load-up-os-black-screen-cursor.html
Relevancy 100.62%

I had a copy of windows xp home addition i think I have a copy of Professional screen black and with load cursor to blinking Try get xp i was going to put on the computer It was doing the normal load that i have seen window do before when loading on other computers Then it came to a blue screen that said something to the affect of Windows startup is installing It used to go to the loading screen then shut itself off and start again I went to bios trying to figure out why it doesn t load Now after the blue screen saying it is restarting setup it now goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor that i can move I have gone to bios and made sure it boots from disk I called windows and they said my disk was called an OEM and that is why I can t install it I Try to load xp and get black screen with blinking cursor told them I bought it thru an online school I was attending so it should have been a retail version I can t get to anyother screen but bios and the black screen I wish I could tell you specs of my computer to help but i put it together using various parts from other people old comupters The only think I can tell you is that before I did this it was speced for and ran World of Warcraft the Burning Crusade With no problems Sorry I can t be anymore help but i have searched the internet over and over and can t seem to find an way to fix it I even wondered if i put a new hard drive in it would I be able to load it nbsp

Relevancy 100.62%

HP G62-455DX Notebook

My daughter have a laptop that she was trying to connect her son Leapfrog to it. She it connected overnight. The next day the laptop wouldn't load up but just shows a black screen with blinking cursor. Someone told her that it might be a virus. When I turn laptop on I can hit the [ESC] and it will take me to the black screen "Startup Menu." It won't let me do anything else but go to the black screen with the cursor. I tried to reformat the laptop but can't seem to get pass the black screen.

A:Can't get laptop to load (black screen with cursor)

Hello sir,
Could you give us some more details such as the OS, the exact process/incident after which the problem arose, and all the activities on the laptop since the Leapfrog connection?

For one, it could be plain hardware failure.
Assuming you have Windows 7 installed, have you tried performing a Startup Repair using the Windows 7 disk?
Once you power on the laptop, keep pressing 'F8' till you reach the "Advanced Boot Menu". Select Safe Mode, and see if you can boot into Windows. If you can get to the desktop, perform a malware scan.

If it doesn't help, contact your vendor's or HP's customer support/technical assistance.

Hope this helps.
Regards, Marnomancer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-get-laptop-to-load-black-screen-with-cursor.179470/
Relevancy 98.47%

So, basically the problem with my computer is that when i start windows normally it gives me a black screen with cursor. I searched in this forum and other forums for help but nothing helped. i tried loading in safe mode but it hangs in classpnp.sys, tried restoring, tried recovery options still doesn't work. Also, tried re-installing windows, but when pressing install it would give message on the screen "Setup is starting..." and it just loads, and nothing happens, i gave it an hour or two before i gave up. I am sure the CD is fine because it worked on the same pc before. It is windows ultimate 32 and 64 bit and computer supports both.
I have a Dell computer and it is not old, I bought it like 6months ago. If anyone could help, i would really appreciate it. Thanks

A:Black screen with cursor, safe mode wont load

Hi Gloom . Welcome to Sevenforums

See if this works for you

Information

1) Power on the laptop
2) Press F2 key to enter the BIOS
3) Go to "Advanced" menu
4) Go down to "System Config"
5) Change SATA Controller from "AHCI" to "Compatibility(IDE)"
6) Press F10 to save and exit

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/282227-black-screen-cursor-safe-mode-wont-load.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Hello!

Gateway NV55C laptop with Windows 7 and Hitachi HD.

1. Turn computer on. Get "No bootable device-insert boot disk and press any key."
2. Windows 7 Setup Disk. "Windows is loading files...", then dimly backlit black screen with movable cursor.

Any ideas how to get past this?

Regards,

Leaning

A:Black screen with cursor. Will not boot to HD or load setup disk.

Boot into BIOS setup to see if hard drive is detected. If not try reinstalling it to see if you can get it to show up in BIOS setup. If not replace it.

If HD is detected work through the steps for Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/334697-black-screen-cursor-will-not-boot-hd-load-setup-disk.html
Relevancy 97.18%

I m having a problem with my Dell Dimension running Windows XP I have an g Maxtor HD as my main drive and a g WD secondary drive When I attempt to boot I get a blue screen with the message A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer If this is he first time you ve seen this Stop error screen restart your computer If this screen appears again Screen Can't Black Blue (Standard Screen w/cursor Mode), boot then XP Windows Safe or follow these steps Check to be sure you have adequate disk space If a driver is identified in the Stop message disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates Try changing video adapters Check with your Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen hardware vendorm for any BIOS updates Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components restart your computer press F to select Advanced Startup Options and then select Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen Safe Mode Technical Information STOP x E xC xF BB B xF E AO xF E AO FLTMGR SYS - Address F BB B base at F A DateStamp daAs far as the info in the message I see this screen with the same info everytime I rebooted As far as disk space my main drive is g aand I have about g of free space I m not sure if anything in the message refers to drivers Not sure how to change video adapters when I can t get into Windows Standard Mode or Safe Mode Also not sure how to deal with any of the BIOS suggestions or even know if it s a good idea to mess with it Again I cannot even boot to Safe Mode It takes me to the same Blue Screen message I have been able to boot from the CD I get to the Windows Setup screen it loads files It then says it s Starting Windows then takes me to the Windows XP Home Edition Setup It gives me the choices To set up Window XP now press Enter To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console press R To quit Setup without installing Windows XP press F I pressed R and in the Recovery Console it shows C WINDOWSI press as this is the only Windows installation I have It then takes me to the Command Prompt C WINDOWS gt I have run CHKDSK and got this message The volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked Use p if you want to check the volume anyway kb total disk space kb are available bytes in each allocation unit total allocation units on disk allocation units available on disk I have also run CHKDSK r and it found and fixed one or more errors After I exited and tried to reboot from the HD and got the same BSOD with same message I don t know if this is a virus or hardware software problem I do have Malwarebytes Anti-Virus and Norton on the PC but without Windows XP I m not sure how to run them I have also booted from Hirems Boot CD and have run all the hardware tests checked HDs memory video etc I could and have found no problems Any light you could shed on this would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance Dave

A:Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen

mod bump

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/385215/cant-boot-windows-xp-standard-or-safe-mode-black-screen-wcursor-then-blue-screen/
Relevancy 97.18%

Ok it all started when I XP cursor won't Black no Windows screen after with the screen. logo boot. ran Nod antivirus I ran it because I had some viruses on my computer that I wanted to get rid of After the scan there were some detected objects that were quarantined or deleted So then I restart my computer and after the windows xp logo there is just a black screen with no cursor And after awhile the computer will just Windows XP won't boot. Black screen with no cursor after the logo screen. restart and try booting up again I tried going into safe mode and safe mode with command prompt but I still get a black screen with no cursor The last known good configuration doesn t work either I m pretty frustrated because I did nothing wrong I am also having a feeling that nod might have quarantined some infected files that are essential for Windows Xp to boot I also do not have any windows xp disks with me because I lost them a very long time ago Is there anything I can do to fix my computer Thanks nbsp

A:Windows XP won't boot. Black screen with no cursor after the logo screen.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-wont-boot-black-screen-with-no-cursor-after-the-logo-screen.941897/
Relevancy 95.89%

Hello. Recently had a virus and have been going through the steps here on bleeping computer to help get rid of it. The last thing I was told to do was run the farbar scan tool and to copy and paste a code and hit fix. Upon doing so the computer prompted for a restart. It now won't get to the log in screen. I've tried booting in safe mode and I've also tried last known working configuration as suggested and nothing has worked unfortunately. I was told to come here. Hopefully something can be done. Thanks a ton.

A:Windows won't get to login screen, black screen and cursor

Tap F8 at boot and select Repair Computer from the Advanced Boot Options. Do a System Restore to a date just before the problem. 

You cannot do the above and if you have another Windows 7 computer create a System Repair Disk. Boot and try a System Restore to a date just before the problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617825/windows-wont-get-to-login-screen-black-screen-and-cursor/
Relevancy 95.89%

Hello I'm new to the Screen Cursor Screen w/ Loading Windows Black After forums but I find myself coming to this site a lot to fix my windows computer so heck why not join Problem Recently my computer starts up windows and after the loading screen it just sits at a black screen forever with a cursor and it doesn't even make it to the log in screen I have tried safe mode with the same results What I've Done So Black Screen w/ Cursor After Windows Loading Screen FarTried to Repair Startup with Windows DVD Tried to use sfc scannow at boot Says pending changes and needs to restart Tried logging into my Ubuntu partition and virus scanning None found Tried copying Reg Files from Regback into config while I was in Linux Tried to Repair Install But I can't log into Windows Tried to bootrec fixmbr fixbot RebuildBcd Which destroyed my dual boot linux grub but I was desperate And still nothing Interestingly though after I do RebuildBcd command it says something like quot Found Windows Installations quot Tried to System Restore Gave me an Error wouldn't you know At this point I'm not to confident that this can be fixed If anyone has any ideas I'm willing to try Or if you have any snazzy suggestions on how I could fix it using another computer I have a different Windows Pro x computer that I can put the HD in if there's someway I can save my data fix it repair install from there I just don't know how Edit I finished the chkdsk and there were no bad sectors though it did give me a message quot Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status quot I did a Windows Defender Offline scan with no viruses and I'm currently scanning with Kaspersky Rescue disk I don't believe it is a virus I think it's a corrupt registry at this point I had just cleaned my registry with CCleaner before the shutdown that led to this gt lt Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thanks

A:Black Screen w/ Cursor After Windows Loading Screen

Do you have any external drives connected by usb? I had a similar problem, and found that I had to turn off the usb drives when I re-booted. I still do that whenever I re-boot for any reason.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/220859-black-screen-w-cursor-after-windows-loading-screen.html
Relevancy 94.17%

There has been this issue which has been bothering me for a screen screen welcome cursor black with Windows before 7 while Every time I try to boot up Windows after the windows logo a black screen with a visible and movable mouse cursor displays for about seconds to minute After that it shows the welcome screen and boots normally I have tried upgrading to Windows recently and this delay increases even more with that OS with a duration of - Windows 7 black screen with cursor before welcome screen minutes Here's a list of the things I tried Disabling all startup services and programs to no avail as this doesn't fix the issue Running an sfc scan Running chkdsk Defragging my disk And here's a list of probably relevant things I noticed that my Wi-Fi internet connection takes a while to connect to the point where it's still trying for about seconds after booting to windows This issue persists in Safe Mode I have a dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu My boot log Code Service Pack Loaded driver SystemRoot system ntoskrnl exe Loaded driver SystemRoot system hal dll Loaded driver SystemRoot system kdcom dll Loaded driver SystemRoot system mcupdate GenuineIntel dll Loaded driver SystemRoot system PSHED dll Loaded driver SystemRoot system CLFS SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot system CI dll Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers Wdf sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers WDFLDR SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers ACPI sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers WMILIB SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers msisadrv sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers pci sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers vdrvroot sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System drivers partmgr sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS compbatt sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS BATTC SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers volmgr sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System drivers volmgrx sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System drivers mountmgr sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers vmbus sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers winhv sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS iaStor sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers atapi sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers ataport SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers msahci sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers PCIIDEX SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers amdxata sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers fltmgr sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers fileinfo sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers Ntfs sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers msrpc sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers ksecdd sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers cng sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System drivers pcw sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers Fs Rec sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers ndis sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers NETIO SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers ksecpkg sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System drivers tcpip sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System drivers fwpkclnt sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers vmstorfl sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS wd sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers volsnap sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers spldr sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System drivers rdyboost sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers mup sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System drivers hwpolicy sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System DRIVERS fvevol sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS disk sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS CLASSPNP SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS amdkmpfd sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system DRIVERS cdrom sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers Null SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers Beep SYS Loaded driver SystemRoot System drivers vga sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System DRIVERS RDPCDD sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers rdpencdd sys Loaded driver SystemRoot system drivers rdprefmp sys Loaded driver SystemRoot System Drivers Msfs SYS Loaded driver SystemR... Read more

A:Windows 7 black screen with cursor before welcome screen

Not that it should matter, but what's your rig?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/377743-windows-7-black-screen-cursor-before-welcome-screen.html
Relevancy 93.74%

I'm getting the black screen with movable cursor or KSOD Black Screen Of Death on Windows (Black Vista Black Of Death) Screen screen or with cursor movable KSOD Vista Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista What happens The system powers on POST BIOS Start windows normally Windows splash screen - gt Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista Black screen lt - What I can do I CAN enter BIOS and have reset the default settings I CAN press F to give me advanced boot options but all options have the same result apart from quot Repair your computer quot I CAN load the quot Repair your computer quot option I CAN move the mouse around the screen I CAN press shift times to get a dialogue to appear but no control panel I CAN press the power button to shut down the system I CAN start up in safe Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista mode which is exactly the same but with lower resolution I CANNOT seem to do anything else However there are workarounds to accessing the hard drive I CAN use MSDaRT or the System Recovery Tool I CAN use the hard drive as an external USB hard drive on another machine What I've tried Startup Repair - Could not detect a problem System Restore - No restore points Windows Complete PC Restore - A valid restore location could not be found Windows Memory Diagnostics - No errors SFC Scan - No problems Stand alone system sweeper - No problems Hotfix Uninstall - Nothing to uninstall I also COULD do a partial or full quot Packard Bell Recovery quot which is essentially like reinstalling windows I DO NOT want to do this I'm sure this is just a simple software issue really and I would rather avoid a reinstall Can anyone recommend what steps I should try to resolve this Thanks

A:Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista

I think I saw this post aver at Toms but I also think you gave some additional info.
I think what may be going on it during the switch from the windows low res video driver to the driver used in normal mode.

Since you can get into safe mode try to go to device manager.
Start|right click computer|properties|device manager.
Look in the display adapter.
Is there a yellow exclamation mark there?
Or is it showing the video that you know should be there?
Please post the video that the machine uses and or the PB model.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-with-movable-cursor-or-ksod-black-screen-of-death-vista-410636.html
Relevancy 93.31%

Hello,

I have been having this problem since a week or so. Broni has helped me in malware forum to rule out malware as responsible. My machine is clean and I was refered here for further help.

Here is my problem:

At boot-time, I see windows XP load screen with the progress bar, the progress bar advances to the end and then, the screen turns pitch black and all is see is an arrow cursor I can move around. I thought until yesterday that this was a permanent freeze-up, but if I wait, say, 6 minutes, the black screen disappears and windows then starts normally.

Last week, problem was intermittent, it now happens all the time.

Windows boot-up was fine before.

Please help me.

A:Windows load screen at boot, looong black screen, then normal startup

I had this tons of times with my old XP PC. It is normal if you have a lot of files on the HDD and you have little RAM. How much RAM do you have? What is the capacity of the HDD? And do you have the Windows XP disc? Would you be willing to upgrade the RAM and/or the OS if we must resort to that? Or would you rather just buy a new PC?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-load-screen-at-boot-looong-black-screen-then-normal-startup.191868/
Relevancy 92.02%

i recently had to reinstall my windows xp due to file corruption and now when i start my laptop after the dell loading screen which finishes in a second or two a black screen with a loading bar at the bottom apears which takes 5-7 minutes to complete after its completion the windows loading screen appears and then the logging window appears and after logging in windows start normally. PLZ help me if you know about this and tell me how to get rid of this black loading screen if possible.
THANKYOU VERY VERY MUCH FOR YOUR KIND INTEREST IN MY PROBLEM

Relevancy 90.3%

The other day when I booted up my computer it got as far as the Windows screen with screen load Black Windows at screen the bar scrolling at the bottom and then when I should have gotten the welcome screen my lcd monitor went black with a no signal notice and went into standby I could not get into Windows even in safe mode I did a full restore and everything seemed to be going well until I installed the ATi video drivers The same problem started again black screen no signal at the Windows screen Windows seems to be loading I can hear the hard drive clicking and the Windows start Black screen at Windows load screen up music is heard and finishes after the black screen Things I have tried to resolve this Did a full Windows restore Reloaded the video drivers old and new numerous times Tried Black screen at Windows load screen the ram sticks one at a time didn t find a problem with them Ran Memtest no errors Took video card out and reseated Replugged vid card power wire Took the audio card out and reseated All voltages seem to be okay in the bios fans and hardware are running so I think the power supply is okay No overclocking Don t see any problems in the Bios Cooling seems to be okay No dust in heatsinks Windows loads okay in VGA mode I have net installed I don t see any obvious burned spots on the video card or motherboard Done Google searches and found many with the same problem but nobody seemed to have a fix Accept buy nVidia Searched TechSpot The only thing I can think of that it might be after all this is the video card or the motherboard but because of the driver issue I m leaning toward the video card naturally the most expensive thing in the box Running now in VGA mode with no problem accept the video of course not much fun running in this oh so slow mode Any help will be very much appreciated XP SP fully updated AVG antivirus Comodo firewall Not much other extra software at this point E Core Duo Abit IP Pro motherboard G Skill x gig ram Seagate Barracuda gig hard drive LiteOn DVD CD burner all the above about three months old MSI XTX video card Enermax Power supply X Fi audo card LiteOn CD burner above less than years old nbsp

A:Black screen at Windows load screen

Doesn`t sound too good mate.

The only thing I can suggest, is to try another video card. If that works ok, then you know your video card has failed.

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-at-windows-load-screen.85868/
Relevancy 90.3%

i get this error when i tried to open up my computer, first the windows xp loading screen works fine, then after that the screen just goes black and stays like that forever. this happened when i tried to uninstall a USB Bluetooth driver and it was requested to restart my pc so i did, and after that restart i cant get in no more, the screen just goes black after the windows xp load screen. im wondering how can i fix this problem? please help me guys... thank you.. and o yeah one more thing.. when i tried it on safe mode it went to the welcome screen but after that when i try to move my cursor i didnt move at all!! then i restart my pc again and the whole thing happens once more! help me please!

Relevancy 90.3%

Hello What happened One morning I woke up to realize screen after load screen Black windows my desktop is gone - nothing appears there but only My computer My documents and recycle bin So I did system Black screen after windows load screen restore After that the computer restarted and wanted to run check disk After the check disk was completed the computer rebooted but now - every time the computer finish loading windows - I get a black screen with nothing on it The black screen happens before I'm even asked to choose the computer user and enter its password What I tried Safe mode to install new video driver - safe mode doesn't work I opened a new thread about this problem since it's a problem I had for a long time Run check disk r using recovery console - I got an error The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems Need to mention the hard disk is actually accessible using Hiren Install the video driver using Hiren - After the installation extracts its files I get an error generated by the setup file - an unknown error has occurred I'm using XP Pro SP Ge-force GTS Hitachi GB HDD Any other info needed If so please tell me and let me know how to retrieve it from the computer Please help Thank you Guy

A:Black screen after windows load screen

Update;
I tried disabling NVSvc driver (Nvidia driver) using recovery console but now the screen black outs even before I see the windows loading screen.
I enabled the driver again but it still black outs earlier than before..

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503171/black-screen-after-windows-load-screen/
Relevancy 89.01%

Help. I did a stupid thing. I was trying to install some software for an old iobit zip drive. It said I needed to reboot to finish and so I did. But then it gave me an error that said repairing. BUT I stupidly hit the reboot button, twice. Is my hard drive toast? Or do I have any prayer at all.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,158016.0.html
Relevancy 89.01%

hey guys i m hoping you can help with my problem basically i start windows and everything works perfectly up until the cursor w/ Windows screen black point where i am supposed to see a blue welcome screen which then turns into my password protection instead what happens is i Windows black screen w/ cursor get a black screen with a mouse cursor which i can move other than this nothing responds technically the CD trays but they don t count i have tried - repairing windows off the Windows black screen w/ cursor CD - use last known good settings that worked - safe mode all of which still have not absolved the issue in fact when i start when i use any form of safe mode i get the description at the top and quot safe mode quot in every corner but other than that Windows black screen w/ cursor the problem sticks i am pretty sure it s just not running explorer exe or something along those lines please help it s only a year old computer and i ve already re-formatted the hard drive in fact put in a new one last month nbsp

A:Windows black screen w/ cursor

Boot in Safe Mode and press Ctrl-Alt-Del launches the Taskmanager | New Task | explorer | OK

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-black-screen-w-cursor.136308/
Relevancy 89.01%

While running windows a few weeks ago my computer started running slowly so I restarted it and it would go to the windows load bar than the next screen where its supposed to log onto my win it just sits at a black screen with a cursor I cannot ctrl-alt-del or anything I've tried system restore it says I have none and i know i did and i've tried the recovery consol for windows says and says it finds no problems Safe mode does the same to just sits at blank screen I found someone on here might have had a great solution for my problem and it might be being caused by a virus I am on a dual boot Win with xp I can get into xp and browse files on the drive windows is installed in Here is what someone suggested I do but i dont black screen 7 Windows no cursor Win know how Windows black screen no cursor Win 7 to use the security tab with xp or if I can do this with xp He wrote suggested Quote For those of you who are still struggling after some of the suggestions by other users I have stumbled upon a solution that fixed my issues I am a system administrator running xp visa Windows black screen no cursor Win 7 and win desktops one day my vista and win machines did the black screen and moving cursor thing Windows black screen no cursor Win 7 None of the cntrl alt dlt things quite worked for me so I investigated a hard drive that was affected by this virus malware by putting the hard drive into another machine that was working just perfectly The thing I have found was that this virus malware changes permissions and ownership in vista and win it takes ownership of system files which doesn t allow you to boot up your machine properly Windows xp reacts differently to the virus malware in win xp it affects your printing the start toolbar disappears and the best of all is it affects your ms office you get weird error messages when opening documents or it doesn t allow you to open any documents at all The way I fixed all of my machines whether it was XP vista or win was the following method Take the hard drive of the affected machine put it into another machine that is working perfectly make sure that the other machine has a decent antivirus on I used Mcafee because you have to do a full scan and after that you go to my computer and right click on the affected machine s hard drive go to properties and then the security tab Now I have seen that mostly it deletes a security group or user so you ll notice that where all the users and groups are listed usually there is a user which only consists out of a string of numbers long string which indicates that the user or group has been deleted All you have to do is take ownership of the drive restore all the default permissions to the drive and replace all the child objects with the ownership and permissions and you are good to go This is what the default permissions would look like Default permissions Administrators Full Control Creator Owner Full Control Everyone Change System Full Control Now go to advanced button at the bottom of the security tab this will give you permissions tab auditing owner etc Under the permissions tab add the default permissions so that it looks similar to the above example when finished make sure you tick the replace permission box at the bottom of the window this will apply all the permissions right down to all the files and folders and not only to the drive itself After you have ticked the checkbox click apply you ll see a small window applying permissions to files and folders this usually takes a while depends on the amount of data on your hard drive Once it is done go to the Owner s tab select administrator or administrators then check the replace permissions checkbox at the bottom of the window and press apply this will give a similar window when applying permissions to files and folders but this only takes ownership of files and folders Now once all of this is done put the hard drive back in the affected pc Once you start it up sometimes for some reason it asks you if ... Read more

A:Windows black screen no cursor Win 7

or any other help on how I can get back into my windows 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/111567-windows-black-screen-no-cursor-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 89.01%

REASON This cursor) a Windows (black screen with 7 happen last night i installed some Antivirus software from china This software is working i have make some change about the work which will auto run when i login windows I choose don't run Windows 7 (black screen with a cursor) them when i login windows as the software recommend i do it i don't know is it the reason my PC gone black screen or not PROBLEM After hours later my computer not working - I CAN start chrome games etc but i CANT start Task manger when i press ctrl alt del The windows bar also crash it maybe the explorer exe problem So I think it is just a normal crash and I reboot the computer But when I reboot my PC normally it will have quot Welcome Windows quot and you need to Enter your password to login But this page is gone it just show a black screen with a cursor When you press any button such as ctrl alt del no any effect This is the reason to start AND I TRIED I tried a lot of method to fix this although i'm not good at computer software I find many method from the internet and tried I tried to go to BIOS step and F Load Defaults boot device save and exit reboot PC and not working I tried F and go to all save mode and all of them are not working Black screen with a cursor same with normal boot I have installed quot Bitdefender quot before i installed the software from china I haven't uninstall quot Bit quot This quot Bit quot can run before login windows press TAB and choose it So i used quot Bit quot to scan my PC but it not find any VIRUS So i think it is not VIRUS problem I tried quot System Recovery OPtions quot and I run the first one quot Startup Repair quot it took around hours and reboot not working I tried quot System Recovery OPtions quot and the second third choice are System Restore System Image Recovery And it is not work because it said quot No restore points have been created on your computer's system drive quot But i remember that i have a lot of recover point i have created before I have tried this method by quot Kaktussoft quot the Senior Member in this forum Because i cant enter any mode of windows I can just using quot System Recovery Options quot the Command Prompt below I follow the step and copied files with no one are quot bytes size quot that mean they are full size After quot DIR quot and quot ENTER quot I reboot my PC and there are something running before the black screen cursor So that mean not working when i see black screen still here But this changed my C drive to D drive and my D drive to C drive Actually i don't know what i'm doing because i just read this post and i think his g o r a z d case is same with me so i following the step by quot Kaktussoft quot but it is not working for me How to make Windows get working again black screen with a cursor I tried to using the Command Prompt below quot System Recovery Options quot And I tried enter quot sfc scannow quot and quot sfc scannow offbootdir d offwindir d windows quot after that i reboot my PC Not working again Same to using the Command Prompt below quot SRO quot I tried quot chkdsk quot F and R it run around an hour with steps After that I reboot PC Not working So Sorry about my English is bad I'm not good at computer and i haven't any computer knowledge All of the method i tried is read from the Internet I done what i can do but the black screen is still here Please anyone help me i don't want to reinstall windows I think the problem is i changed the quot msconfig quot Maybe So if any method will be work i would like to try Such as reset msconfig by CMD Because i can just using the cmd when I enter quot System Recovery Options quot

A:Windows 7 (black screen with a cursor)

I have new idea about this black screen error.
I remember that before I reboot my PC i'm going to Uninstall the software i don't need , Call "drivethelife 2012" which is using for update PC drive. But i think it was useless so I decided to Uninstall it. But it cant be uninstall and said it was using. So i want to open Task Manger to Close the "drivethelife 2012" but its not working.
The crash is starting with this moment.
Maybe this "drivethelife 2012" has the VIRUS to take down my computer?
I have go to "System Recovery Options " and used " System Image Recovery" to enter my files.
I Deleted "drivethelife 2012" from my documents and reboot . But it still going Black Screen.
The "Bit" also didn't find any VIRUS.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/349296-windows-7-black-screen-cursor.html
Relevancy 89.01%

hey guys i got a problem very similar to this one http www bleepingcomputer com forums t windows- -boots-up-with-a-black-screen-and-a-cursor :/ black windows cursor with 8.1 screen i can still log in everything is just fine startscreen and stuff but when i enter my windows 8.1 black screen with cursor :/ password the screen just goes black and the only thing i can do is moving the cursor around an opening the task manager via the task manager i can open vaious programs but i cant run avira i downloaded it afer i got infected apparently it didnt help also onedrive got a syncronization problem and it says that the app manager wont run cant really draw any conclusions from this i did everything instructed in the post i mentiones above and i created report files attached them below but that doesnt help me much so i decided to make my own post i was hoping someone might be able to help me thanks in advance mary Mod Edit Removed FRST attachment not used allowed in this forum - Hamluis

A:windows 8.1 black screen with cursor :/

What happens if you launch "explorer.exe" (without the quotes) from Task Manager?

Please post over in the Am I Infected forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Follow their instructions before you follow mine.

If they can't help, then I'd suggest trying the various repair options available in 8.1:
- DISM/SFC.EXE /SCANNOW
- Startup/Automatic Repair
- System Restore (to a point before the problem started happening)
- Refresh the system
- Reset the system (you will lose all your data if you use this option)

Here's the instructions for DISM/SFC.EXE - they are run from the Command Prompt (run cmd.exe (elevated) from Task Manager)

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealthDism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealthDism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.
From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx
You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/580653/windows-81-black-screen-with-cursor/
Relevancy 89.01%

I've read a couple of posts but I need to explain myself that's why I created this post So my laptop isn't booting normaly I had this quot Critical Error quot on startup and cursor Windows 7 w/ Black Screen I did the repair with the cd It said that Windows 7 Black Screen w/ cursor everything was fine so I restarted my pc and I had this black screen with the moveable cursor in it I tried everything Ctrl Alt Del No response Safemode gives me that list when loading drivers but it freezes at disk sys I think its that one ill upload more info later after the froze gets back to the black screen w cursor and still no response from any command When my pc was good I had installed an update for the game quot Combat Arms quot with the repair process I can acess to the disk and delete search stuff I dont know if I should try to delete that game or any other possible infected file Please Idont want to lose anything from my HDD Ill upload more info tomorrow really hope you guys can help me every little help is important to me im just but I know a couple things about tech

A:Windows 7 Black Screen w/ cursor

Hey there, I'm not sure what's quite happening because I never experienced this problem. But, I would suggest repairing your computer to a earlier point of time, or completely renewing it by using the "System Repair" tool. How long have you had your computer, and was it used before you, or mom, etc. Brought it?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/258868-windows-7-black-screen-w-cursor.html
Relevancy 89.01%

hi for some reason my dell inspiron 1525 screen went black with a moving cursor when i turned it on..i dont want to reinstall because i have alot of important data on it.the same thing happens in safe mode, ive tried system repair,system restore,system image recovery
and diagnostic..i tried to to run sfc /scannow
but it says "there is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again.

I've restarted multiple times still the same result occurs
can any one help!!!?

also here is my log file results if it helps

A:Windows 7 black screen with cursor

hi there
if you have run the sfc scan several times and it does not find any violations have you run a virus/mailware scan? check for updates for your drivers graphics card etc. also a bios update check. also could you fill your specs out please so the forum readers can assist you better

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/158711-windows-7-black-screen-cursor.html
Relevancy 89.01%

ey guys, i got a problem very similar to this one  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565585/windows-8-boots-up-with-a-black-screen-and-a-cursor/

i can still log in. everything is just fine(startscreen and stuff) but when i enter my password, the screen just goes black and the only thing i can do is moving the cursor around an opening the task manager. via the task manager i can open vaious programs but i cant run avira (i downloaded it afer i got infected, apparently it didnt help). also, onedrive got a syncronization problem and it says that the "app manager" wont run.
cant really draw any conclusions from this ._.

i did everything instructed in the post i mentiones above and i created 2 report files but that doesnt help me much so i decided to make my own post.
i was hoping someone might be able to help me! thanks in advance

yours mary126

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/581896/windows-81-black-screen-with-cursor-help-please/
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi,

I recently was directed to a site that I am pretty sure contained a virus, as after I restarted my computer, what normally would be my desktop is now a black screen with a cursor.

I have looked up what I am normally supposed to do when this problem occurs, so I installed FRST (64-bit), and ran a scan, the results of which I attached below. This was run in safe-mode with networking.

Thanks.

A:[Windows 7] Black Screen with Cursor

For now, never mind, please delete this post.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616185/windows-7-black-screen-with-cursor/
Relevancy 89.01%

Hello I have ran into some trouble getting a computer up and running When this computer came to me it was boot looping and windows would never start I called Dell tech support and they came out to replace the hard Drive with a imaged drive and it worked fine So apparently a software issue However i would like 7 Black and screen Windows cursor only to try and fix this instead of re-installing all the programs and migrating all the files Also im afraid that if i migrate all the files the infection may just spread to the other HDD After running system restore the computer now boots but stays on a black background and only a cursor shown Ctrl alt delete does not bring up task manager Ctrl alt esc does not work either Windows Defender offline detected Reveton v Obfuscator acv One tab Neclu o Reveton lnk webcake Rovnix GG Dealply axpercle l I was able to run FRST exe and generate a log which i have attached to this post Also the HKEY LOCALMACHINE Software Microsoft Windows Windows 7 Black screen and cursor only NT CurrentVersion Winlogon Shell is set to explorer exe so that doesn't seem to be the issue

A:Windows 7 Black screen and cursor only

Hello Conflict305 I would like to welcome you to the Malware Removal section of the forum.Around here they call me Gringo and I will be glad to help you with your malware problems.Very Important --> Please read this post completely, I have spent my time to put together somethings for you to keep in mind while I am helping you to make things go easier, faster and smoother for both of us!Please do not run any tools unless instructed to do so.We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability.Please do not attach logs or use code boxes, just copy and paste the text.Due to the high volume of logs we receive it helps to receive everything in the same format, and code boxes make the logs very difficult to read. Also, attachments require us to download and open the reports when it is easier to just read the reports in your post.Please read every post completely before doing anything.Pay special attention to the NOTE: lines, these entries identify an individual issue or important step in the cleanup process.Please provide feedback about your experience as we go.A short statement describing how the computer is working helps us understand where to go next, for example: I am still getting redirected, the computer is running normally, etc. Please do not describe the computer as "the same", this requires the extra step of looking back at your previous post.NOTE: At the top of your post, click on the "Follow This Topic" Button, make sure that the "Receive notification" box is checked and that it is set to "Instantly" - This will send you an e-mail as soon as I reply to your topic, allowing us to resolve the issue faster.NOTE: Backup any files that cannot be replaced. Removing malware can be unpredictable and this step can save a lot of heartaches if things don't go as planed. You can put them on a CD/DVD, external drive or a pen drive, anywhere except on the computer.NOTE: It is good practice to copy and paste the instructions into notepad and print them in case it is necessary for you to go offline during the cleanup process. To open notepad, navigate to Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad. Please remember to copy the entire post so you do not miss any instructions.Open notepad. Please copy the contents of the code box below. To do this highlight the contents of the box and right click on it. Paste this into the open notepad. Save it on the flash drive as fixlist.txt
CMD: bootrec /fixmbr
CMD: bootrec /fixboot
NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating systemOn Vista or Windows 7: Now please enter System Recovery Options.Run FRST again like we did before but this time press the Fix button just once and wait.The tool will make a log on the flash drive (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.Also boot the computer into normal mode and let me know how things are looking.Gringo

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/531891/windows-7-black-screen-and-cursor-only/
Relevancy 89.01%

Hey just joined Windows black ME! 10 screen HELP no cursor this forum because i cant find a fix to my computer with my Nvidia graphics card here's what happened - Windows update to HELP ME! Windows 10 black screen no cursor windows happens - Successful upgrade so i start up games to see changes into fps - Graphics card is not working so i uninstall them and try to reinstalled them again but to no avail should have restarted my PC i know - Get message to start restart on safe mode and so i do so - Suddenly I receive a black screen to which after many attempts to fix it via online including the installation media flash drive and the start P key bind whatever thing I am extremely pissed that I am not able to play my games talk to my family and study for my ISU for my school which i need now because the work is inside I need to fix this but am running out of options Also i wouldn't say am bad with computers I do know how to get to control panel run commands on cmd etc But some detailed course of action explaining what do would helpful Please help EDIT After much research if possible a link on how to downgrade to windows or even would be helpful but not necessary don't want my computer updating something I don't know

A:HELP ME! Windows 10 black screen no cursor

I am also a newcomer and had a similar problem when I went from Win 8 to 8.1. Banging away at the keyboard on created more problems [long story]. The problem was with graphics drivers.

I later upgraded the motherboard for other reasons. Next time it happened was again during an update, another BSD. More out of curiosity than anything else, I switched my TV over to input HDMI 2 which is the Desktop input. There was Mr. Microsoft happily upgrading, yet my LCD monitor was still black. I left it alone.

Yep sometime in the next hour my monitor was restored [I had left the room].

It has happened twice since, always with major Windows 10 updates. I don't think we call them updates anymore, they're re-installs. For some reason, the monitor drivers are axed, then a BSD until the new drivers are re-installed.

Of course that might not be your case, but it is one possible explanation.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/35253-help-me-windows-10-black-screen-no-cursor.html
Relevancy 89.01%

hello i have my screen cursor w/ Windows Black 7 friends laptop and the system boots normally but after few sec i see only black screen with Windows 7 Black screen w/ cursor cursor It is the same in all boot options it doesnt matter if i start system in safe mode or normal I already scanned system partition with malwarebytes software and it did find only one thingy Already tried to restore registry etc but it didnt help same as sfc scannow etc hdd is fine no bad sectors Few min ago i scanned it with frst If some can help me with this problem i would really appreciate that thx in advance ps sorry for my english Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST x Version - - Ran by SYSTEM on MININT-I GCQAE on - - Running from G Platform Windows Home Premium X OS Language English United States Internet Explorer Version Boot Mode Recovery The current controlset is ControlSet ATTENTION gt If the system is bootable FRST must be run from normal or Safe mode to create a complete log Tutorial for Farbar Recovery Scan Tool http www geekstogo com forum topic -frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool Registry Whitelisted If an entry is included in the fixlist the registry item will be restored to default or removed The file will not be moved HKLM Run RtHDVCpl gt C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVCpl exe - - Realtek Semiconductor HKLM Run RtHDVBg gt C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVBg exe - - Realtek Semiconductor HKLM Run Apoint gt C Program Files Apoint Apoint exe - - Alps Electric Co Ltd HKLM-x Run IAStorIcon gt C Program Files x Intel Intel reg Rapid Storage Technology IAStorIcon exe - - Intel Corporation HKLM-x Run ISBMgr exe gt C Program Files x Sony ISB Utility ISBMgr exe - - Sony Corporation HKLM-x Run BEWINTERNET-PLSessionManager gt C Program Files x OrangeBS BEWInternet-PL SessionManager SessionManager exe HKLM-x Run StartCCC gt C Program Files x ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static CLIStart exe - - Advanced Micro Devices Inc HKLM-x Run Adobe ARM gt C Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exe - - Adobe Systems Incorporated HKLM-x Run TkBellExe gt c program files x real realplayer Update realsched exe - - RealNetworks Inc HKLM-x Run mobilegeni daemon gt C Program Files x Mobogenie DaemonProcess exe HKLM-x Run AvastUI exe gt C Program Files AVAST Software Avast AvastUI exe - - Avast Software s r o Winlogon Notify igfxcui C Windows system igfxdev dll Intel Corporation HKLM Policies Explorer NoControlPanel Services Whitelisted If an entry is included in the fixlist it will be removed from the registry The file will not be moved unless listed separately S ACDaemon C Program Files x Common Files ArcSoft Connection Service Bin ACService exe - - ArcSoft Inc S avast Antivirus C Program Files AVAST Software Avast AvastSvc exe - - Avast Software s r o S CSHelper C Program Files Common Files ArtistScope CSHelper exe - - ArtistScope Pty Ltd S ESRV SVC C Program Files Sony VAIO Care ESRV esrv svc exe - - Intel Corporation S McComponentHostServiceSony C Program Files x Sony MSS McCHSvc exe - - McAfee Inc S RealNetworks Downloader Resolver Service C Program Files x RealNetworks RealDownloader rndlresolversvc exe - - S uCamMonitor C Program Files x ArcSoft Magic-i Visual Effects uCamMonitor exe - - ArcSoft Inc S USER ESRV SVC C Program Files Sony VAIO Care ESRV esrv svc exe - - Intel Corporation S VCFw C Program Files x Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Content Folder Watcher VCFw exe - - Sony Corporation S VUAgent C Program Files Sony VAIO Update vuagent exe - - Sony Corporation S WinDefend C Program Files Windows Defender mpsvc dll - - Microsoft Corporation Drivers Whitelisted If an entry is included in the fixlist it will be removed from the registry The file will not be moved unless listed separately S ArcSoftKsUFilter C Windows System DRIVERS ArcSoftKsUFilter sys - - ArcSoft Inc S aswHwid C Windows system drivers aswHwid sys - - S aswMonFlt C Windows system drivers aswMonFlt sys - - Avast Software s r o S aswRdr C Windows ... Read more

A:Windows 7 Black screen w/ cursor

Greetings lukey25 and to BleepingComputer's Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum.My name is Oh My! and I am here to help you! Now that we are "friends" please call me Gary.If you would allow me to call you by your first name I would prefer to do that.===================================================Ground Rules:First, I would like to inform you that most of us here at Bleeping Computer offer our expert assistance out of the goodness of our hearts. Please try to match our commitment to you with your patience toward us. If this was easy we would never have met. Please do not run any tools or take any steps other than those I will provide for you while we work on your computer together. I need to be certain about the state of your computer in order to provide appropriate and effective steps for you to take. Most often "well intentioned" (and usually panic driven!) independent efforts can make things much worse for both of us. If at any point you would prefer to take your own steps please let me know, I will not be offended. I would be happy to focus on the many others who are waiting in line for assistance.Please perform all steps in the order they are listed in each set of instructions. Some steps may be a bit complicated. If things are not clear, be sure to stop and let me know. We need to work on this together with confidence.Please copy and paste all logs into your post unless directed otherwise. Please do not re-run any programs I suggest. If you encounter problems simply stop and tell me.When you post your reply, use the button instead.In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see the button. Click on this then choose Immediate E-Mail notification and then Proceed and you will be sent an email once I have posted a response.If you do not reply to your topic after 5 days we assume it has been abandoned and I will close it.When your computer is clean I will alert you of such. I will also provide for you detailed information about how you can combat future infections.I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so.Now let's get started ===================================================Now that I am assisting you, you can expect that I will be very responsive to your situation. If you are able, I would request you check this thread at least once per day so that we can try to resolve your issues effectively and efficiently. If you are going to be delayed please be considerate and post that information so that I know you are still with me. Unfortunately, there are many people waiting to be assisted and not enough of us at BleepingComputer to go around. I appreciate your understanding and diligence.Thank you for your patience thus far. Please run the following for me.===================================================Farbar's Recovery Scan Tool - Run Fix--------------------From a clean computer press the windows key + r on your keyboard at the same time. Type in notepad and press EnterPlease copy and paste the contents of the below code box into the open notepad and save it on the flashdrive as fixlist.txtS3 ewusbmbb; system32\DRIVERS\ewusbwwan.sys [X]
S3 ewusbnet; system32\DRIVERS\ewusbnet.sys [X]
S3 ew_hwusbdev; system32\DRIVERS\ew_hwusbdev.sys [X]
S3 ew_usbenumfilter; system32\DRIVERS\ew_usbenumfilter.sys [X]
S3 huawei_enumerator; system32\DRIVERS\ew_jubusenum.sys [X]
S3 hwdatacard; system32\DRIVERS\ewusbmdm.sys [X]
C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Local\Temp\bassmod.dll
C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Local\Temp\conduitcbi.exe
C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Local\Temp\CT2776682.exe
C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Local\Temp\EAD10B2.exe
C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Local\Temp\EAD1795.exe
C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Local\Temp\EAD1C4.exe
C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Local\Temp\EAD1CF2.exe
C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Local\Temp\EAD276D.exe
C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Local\Temp\EAD2970.exe
C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Local\Temp\EAD2DF2.exe
C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Local\Temp\EAD4E0.exe
C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Loc... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579526/windows-7-black-screen-w-cursor/
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi,

I recently got the malicious Antimalware Doctor virus, and after trying to delete it, my laptop is now stuck in an endless loop and is stuck on the screen just before login, with a black screen and a cursor.

This may have been said before, but my laptop is a HP 530 and my laptop DID NOT come with a recovery disc, therefore I have no backup.

I was wondering if this is possible to fix without a backup disc. NOTE: The files on my laptop are not important, therefore I don't care if my data is erased.

A:Windows Black Screen Cursor

Try tapping F11 while booting up, there should be a recovery option there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-black-screen-cursor.937322/
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi guys, I pretty much can't solve this issue so am seeking for some help :D
So basically after the windows logo it just goes on a black screen with my cursor.
I tried some various solutions on the web:

1. **ctrl+alt+del** is not working
2. **ctrl+shift+esc** is not working
3. **Sticky keys [shift x5]** does not show the ease of use link
4. **ctrl+u** only shows 6 check boxes
5. Used Windows Recovery disk and tried repair as well as command prompt [FRST] to get log and replace services.exe
6. Used [Anvi Rescue disk] to scan and repair

But so far none of these have worked.
Here is the log I received from FRST.

Hoping you guys can enlighten me.

A:Black Screen + Cursor Windows 7

Hello,
My name is Elise and I'll assist you with this issue. Can you please do the following, rerun FRST and type services.* in the Search box. Click the Search File(s) button. When finished it will create a log for you, please post its contents in your next reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/598841/black-screen-cursor-windows-7/
Relevancy 89.01%

Windows appears to load normally until reaching the logon screen at which point 2 quick cmd windows flash on the screen and i'm left with a cursor and a plain blue screen.

No access to task manager through ctrl+alt+del.

I was thinking it's a video card problem until i plugged in an external monitor and saw a windows error box pop up saying that the program running requires that you not be on battery power.

Pulled the drive and scanned with avast and malwarebytes which found nothing.

Inserted Vista DVD but the repair function is only able to find the HP Restore partition and is unable to locate any backups.

The system runs "mini XP" from Hirens Boot without a problem, but no diagnostics that i ran have been able to find any issues...

Ideas?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/371560/vista-boots-into-blue-screen-w-cursor-black-screen-in-safe-mode/
Relevancy 89.01%

When I turn on my computer all I get is a black screen with the flashing cursor up in the left corner of the screen. Any ideas as to how to correct this? I have a Dell from he'll computer-- inspiron E1505 about 8 years old and just had windows 7 home edition installed on it

A:Black screen with flashing cursor in upper left corner of screen

Hey I just went through something very similar. I found that my SATA cable connecting the hard drive to the motherboard had failed. I replaced it with a new SATA cable, and it booted right up. Try the cable first if you have one lying around, plus its a cheap solution. If you replace the cable and it still won't boot up, it might be your hard drive. Seeing as how your machine is that old, it could fail at any time.

Do you get anything on the screen when you turn it on?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-with-flashing-cursor-in-upper-left-corner-of-screen-602916.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hello,

My laptop will not boot. I end up with an empty black screen or a blue screen with no icons, just a cursor. I get choices for 'normal startup' or ' repair' but not safe mode. Any help appreciated.

A:Unable to start - black screen or empty blue screen w cursor??

Hello JoLaRo and welcome to Seven Forums.

One of the Forum experts has prepared a couple of tutorials that might help you out.

Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7

If you're still having issues after following the tutorials, please post back.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/346364-unable-start-black-screen-empty-blue-screen-w-cursor.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi I have an office desktop pc HP COMPAQ ELITE running -bit Windows I was manually running Windows update and manually updating some of my drivers when the pc suddenly turned itself off I turned it back on and now it doesn't get to the login screen anymore It just displays screen mouse movable cursor with Black appears screen login before a Black screen with movable mouse cursor before login screen appears black screen with a movable mouse cursor although I can't really click anything or even press any keys on the keyboard I tried loading into the recovery environment but it only gives me the option to restore my hard drive to factory settings which I don't want since I have lots of important files in it I've searched around the forums but I can't find a problem that is EXACTLY like mine By the way my pc is on a dual boot mode with an Ubuntu and that is how I'm able to access this forum right now The dual boot was set-up by the employee that I replaced so I have no idea how this is set-up Any help would be appreciated -Ron

A:Black screen with movable mouse cursor before login screen appears

Firstly, boot into the Linux operating system, and then create a backup of all important files and data.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/300316-black-screen-movable-mouse-cursor-before-login-screen-appears.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hey everyone I did a bit of research and this seems to have been an issue for a while or has been in the past Was upgrading to windows I first had to restart my pc cause it was initially stuck on that preparing to install problem with the green bar being stuck around It then got through that and began the installation process with the big circle and rebooting process However around when I last looked at it it was just black screen this stayed this way for about - hours I then decided to reboot the pc and it has now booted to the login screen Is this a known (no screen just Black Screen to blank) but cursor of Doom Booted login bug or could there be a possible issue The problem seems a bit different Black Screen of Doom but Booted to login screen (no cursor just blank) as some people I saw have had to fall back on PC restore points etc So not sure if it installed or what could be the problem Also side note I upgraded my pc when windows first publically released but rolled back because I had about min shutdown times So not sure what is Black Screen of Doom but Booted to login screen (no cursor just blank) going on and any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks

A:Black Screen of Doom but Booted to login screen (no cursor just blank)

I never had a problem upgrading like you've experienced but I experiencing Windows 10 upgrading process is the longest time taken ever compared to previous versions. It took me 1 hour+ to finished.

Play around a little bit to get used to it then did a clean install. No problem arise, seems working fine.

The point is, problems always happen after upgrading, to solve it just perform installation from scratch (clean install).

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/37857-black-screen-doom-but-booted-login-screen-no-cursor-just-blank.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hello and thanks for reading I have a year old HP pavilion dv series laptop running windows Yesterday I turned it on and it started normally but when I tried to browse on Firefox it gave me the blue screen for the first time ever and it shut down Fearing I had a virus I ran it in safe mode blinking Laptop blue cursor crash HP screen screen black with now and started a scan and began HP Laptop blue screen crash now black screen with blinking cursor transporting my pictures via Dropbox just in case it died on me Sure enough a weird error message couldnt HP Laptop blue screen crash now black screen with blinking cursor figure out what program made the message pop up popped up saying I had a bunch of urgent viruses I didn t click on it at all and before I couldn t think of what to do the blue screen popped up and it shut down When I tried to restart it the HP splash sign popped up and the screen flickered black and a blinking HP Laptop blue screen crash now black screen with blinking cursor cursor started in the upper left corner So this is where I stand now Black screen with blinking cursor Set default setting in BIOS didn t work and F safe mode or F system restore does nothing The black screen just stays there Any ideas Is it a gonner I m hoping to get back on and get my pictures if possible Help please nbsp

A:HP Laptop blue screen crash now black screen with blinking cursor

sounds like a bug -click report and ask to move to malware forum

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-laptop-blue-screen-crash-now-black-screen-with-blinking-cursor.1033666/
Relevancy 88.58%

The issue started a few hours ago when I was playing League of Legends specifically when the game has finished its loading and crashed to Desktop which is a common problem on my laptop As usual I would restart the game but before I could do that explorer exe Mouse Cursor Login before Screen Black of Death Screen with crashed my entire Desktop has turned to the familiar transparent whitish filter before the quot Explorer exe has crashed quot message popped out which was peculiar at the time because this is Black Screen of Death with Mouse Cursor before Login Screen the first time it had happened So I allowed the program to restart it didn't So I shut down via holding down the power button and rebooted the laptop It went into Startup Repair and did its automated repair so I let it repair while I did my stuff When I returned the repair had completed and it booted the laptop into the infamous Black Screen of Death with a movable mouse cursor This is right before I could log on to my user account and I decided to search for solutions initially on Google using an available PC Most of it didn't work for starters booting up to Safe Mode Safe Mode with Networking and Last known Good Configuration brought me to the same movable mouse cursor with black screen combo Safe Mode with Command Prompt has the same problem and the Command Prompt does not appear After which I accessed the Repair menu with the F button right after the BIOS loads and tried every option First Repair Your Computer did not work as it couldn't find any problems after the first initial repair it did System Restore didn't not have any Restore Points which is strange because I do have several restore points prior to this issue happened I skipped the Memory option and used the Command Prompt to do a sfc exe scannow to detect any problems according to one solution I found but it gave the message telling me there is another repair job that requires my laptop to be restarted At first I did went back and did the sfc command no luck After all that I went to try the Ctrl Alt Del and starting explorer exe as a new process but the task manager does not appear Not in any bootable modes with the mouse cursor present At the moment I am out of ideas and solutions it really is starting to drive me against the wall because this laptop has a lot of information I need I do not have access to my backups or recovery disks as I'm currently overseas I hope I can hear from any users here about what to do My laptop Acer Aspire TimelineX TG Windows Home Edition x I do not have any USB devices connected to my laptop except for my mouse and that's about it I will try my best to add on more missing info if pointed out thank you very much

A:Black Screen of Death with Mouse Cursor before Login Screen

having the same problem here on my toshiba satellite L655-1je laptop. did everything srwalpha did but to no avail. hence, bumping this up for help pls...

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/192503-black-screen-death-mouse-cursor-before-login-screen.html
Relevancy 88.58%

I'm using I have a DELL4500S desktop, on startup it will not go to the login screen, the screen is just black with the cursor showing. I've tried restarting the computer, unplugging everything and restarting it. Nothing is working. When it first starts a pop up shows and says

"This Application has failed to start because SAMLIB.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem."

I'm not sure what it's talking about and what to re install and I can't reinstall whatever it is because I can't get to the start menu.

Help? I don't know what to do :[

A:Black screen on startup, showing cursor, doesn't go to log in screen.

Quote: Originally Posted by alexsmom2009

I'm using I have a DELL4500S desktop, on startup it will not go to the login screen, the screen is just black with the cursor showing. I've tried restarting the computer, unplugging everything and restarting it. Nothing is working. When it first starts a pop up shows and says

"This Application has failed to start because SAMLIB.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem."

I'm not sure what it's talking about and what to re install and I can't reinstall whatever it is because I can't get to the start menu.

Help? I don't know what to do :[

SAMLIB.dll is a security account manager dynamic linked lib. A repair install from the dvd should fix the problem unless you are infected with malware, or have a modified system

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/201116-black-screen-startup-showing-cursor-doesnt-go-log-screen.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hello

I have a problem with an ASUS Eee PC notebook. It is running Win 7 starter. When i start the system it goes through the normal setup until it gets to the windows startup screen it then goes to a Black screen with a mouse curser. I have no access to the system then. This also happens in safemode. Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Regards Demonseed

A:Windows 7 - black screen with blinking cursor

All I can think of right now is to make a system restore using the Windows 7 Disc, if you have one.

You can follow this method in the link below.

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/09/10/running-system-restore-in-windows-7-from-your-windows-disk/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503189/windows-7-black-screen-with-blinking-cursor/
Relevancy 88.15%

After upgrading my Windows Pro to Windows Pro I have also been plagued with the black screen of death After the BIOS screen it goes black and I do not even get a mouse cursor and I've also let it run for about minutes just in case and nothing I've tried a lot of the fixes that are being posted online -Updated cursor after Windows Black upgrading 10 to Pro without screen the display adapter driver -Subsequently uninstalled the display adapter driver -Disabled fast startup -Pulled out the battery -Enabled F at startup -Tried using an installation media DVD I made and that also Black screen without cursor after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro gets stuck loading but with the blue Windows Logo Here is the kicker I have a bootable USB that has Ultimate Boot CD on it with mini Windows XP When I boot into mini Windows XP and click shutdown and select restart Windows then boots normally and will repeatedly boot normally as long as I don't eject that USB Once I eject that USB I lose everything and I can't even get into Safe Mode So I've gone back in to see what kind of Black screen without cursor after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro display driver the mini Windows XP has but have had no luck in finding it I did call Windows and they said Black screen without cursor after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro my laptop Lenovo ThinkPad E is compatible with Windows Beyond that they were not helpful at all Any help would be appreciated

A:Black screen without cursor after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro

How if you disable display adapter in Device Manager, can it boot without the USB?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/38095-black-screen-without-cursor-after-upgrading-windows-10-pro.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I m having some Can't 7, with screen cursor getting black install Windows problems Can't install Windows 7, getting black screen with cursor with my PC and suspect it MAY be related to Windows Yesterday I was using my PC and it started crashing It would either freeze show me a blue screen error and reboot or just flat out reboot I believe the problem is one of three possible things Windows problems bad motherboard bad CPU I ve been using this PC in this configuration with no changes since November when I upgraded my PC and haven t had any problems with it until recently I have an upgrade disc and I always do the Clean Install option I tested it with different video card amp sound card configurations and with a single memory stick in different ports etc I ve also downloaded and ran Seagate s SeaTools program to do a hard drive check and it came out clean No matter what hardware configuration I tried it still crashed It would work for about minutes then crash Strange thing is it would not crash if it were in safe mode which led me to believe it was a problem with Windows or possibly some drivers I tried to do a system restore and as usual it didn t help at all I finally decided to just try and wipe the hard drive and do a clean install Every time I try to install Windows it goes through the install process until it gets to the last step reboots then when the progress bar is about of the way through I just get a black screen with my mouse cursor I can move the cursor but can t do anything else Hitting CTRL ALT DEL does nothing I ve tried installing it at least times and always get the same result I also tried installing the -bit version of Windows same thing When I install an older copy of Windows XP Pro that I have it will install but that s about it It won t let me install my video drivers or do much else with it Here s my PC info Motherboard MSI NF -G CPU AMD Phenom II X Black Edition Memory GB x GB G Skill DDR SDRAM Hard Drives TB Seagate amp GB Western Digital Power Supply Cooler Master W This setup has been working without issue since November I ve not even opened the case in at least months and don t install a ton of new programs Haven t installed anything in the last weeks The main reason that I suspect a possible problem with the motherboard is that I have had a problem where when booting up the PC I get a very quiet tone during the POST test then I get the usual beep and it boots up There was a problem for a while where it wouldn t boot up and I would just shut it down amp restart it and it worked fine More often than not it would boot and work with no problem so I didn t bother doing a warranty return on it I ve been looking through the forums here and I ve tried recovering the boot record as outlined here MBR - Restore Windows Master Boot Record No dice Any ideas

A:Can't install Windows 7, getting black screen with cursor

You haven't opened the case in over six months? Don't know if it will help or not, but you might need to clean some dust of there. Its not had to get a ton of dust inside the case, which can clog a fan or cover the heat sink, causing over heating. Heat + electronics = bad.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/100089-cant-install-windows-7-getting-black-screen-cursor.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I turned on my computer tonight and before booting it started scrolling text saying to cursor boots black with screen Windows deleting corrupted files and scanning files etc this went on for at least - minutes and Windows boots to black screen with cursor then when it was done it said quot Starting Windows quot like normal then brought me to a black screen that said quot Preparing to configure windows do not turn off your computer quot That message disappeared after a few seconds and left me with a black screen with a mouse cursor In the bottom right hand corner of the screen is a power button bottom left is ease of access button and bottom center it says Windows Home Premium I can't do anything with this I've restarted numerous times and I've tried restarting in Safe Mode and it still brings me to this point every time I've also tried using system restore and startup repair through the advanced settings from pressing F during boot up Nothing fixes this How can I fix this PS I did not upgrade my version of windows or anything Windows did install some updates last time I turned off the computer I think

A:Windows boots to black screen with cursor

bump. still need some help here.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/255217-windows-boots-black-screen-cursor.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hello all I am in dire need of assistance and any help is most welcome I am running a Sony Vaio with Intel Core Duo GHz processor and Windows XP SP Media Center The computer boots with the Windows splash loading screen as normal afterwards when it would normally show the desktop I am left with a black screen with the XP w/ cursor start; black won't screen Windows cursor in the middle not blinking I have control of the cursor but can't do anything else Ctrl Alt Del does nothing and pressing Shift times does nothing I have attempted the normal Windows XP won't start; black screen w/ cursor system restore booting in Safe Windows XP won't start; black screen w/ cursor Mode Safe Mode with networking and Safe Mode with Command prompt All of these result in the same black screen with cursor control I am not aware of any viruses that might be on the machine I regularly run SuperAntispyware Malwarebytes and virus scans with Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition None of them detected anything earlier in the day prior to the problem However Firefox had frozen up an unusual number of times yesterday When it froze I noticed that there was always an advertisement on the site that didn't load properly so I attributed it to that Also the night before I received a Cicerouiwndframe not responding error on shutdown but that is not particularly unusual as I have seen it before though not recently Further I noticed yesterday that my computer was having trouble recognizing my printer in one of the USB ports but when I switched to one of the other ports it worked fine In trying to resolve this issue I have disconnected all auxiliary hardware mouse wireless adapter printer but this produced little effect Once I get to the black screen with cursor the only way for me to turn the computer off is to disconnect the power cord the back of the computer and remove the laptop battery Pressing the power button does nothing I was working in Excel last night with a couple of Firefox windows open when the computer suddenly froze up Today I'm left with the black screen and cursor There are some important files that I need to retrieve from the hard drive so at the very least some help in accomplishing that would be most appreciated Thanks

A:Windows XP won't start; black screen w/ cursor

Do you have another user account you can try logging in with?

If you don't log in as administrator normally, at the log in screen type administrator and your admin password. If you have the login screen that shows icons, press cntrl+alt+del twice and the standard log in window will appear.

It's possible that an application is attempting to load at start up that cannot complete and keeps the computer from finishing it's boot up. Another user profile might not have this same issue.

If you have another account to sign in with, give it a shot and let us know.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-wont-start-black-screen-w-cursor-422312.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Running Windows 7 Ultimate
Yesterday my iolo System Mechanic software said it had quarantined a file, a I ran a scan using it's SystemShield and it found nothing. I ended up turning off my system and now no boot. I'm sure this is virus/malware related, I'm just too much of an ameture to get it fixed alone.
I have tired booting in safe mode and I get the same result, black screen, and a moblie cursor. I do have my Windows 7 disk, so I could get to a command promt I just don't know what commands are needed to be typed.
Any help is awesome. Thank you.

A:Windows 7, black screen with cursor after boot

Flashing cursor is an indication you lost your boot loader

.http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/553681/windows-7-black-screen-with-cursor-after-boot/
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi there I really need help My laptop has been acting really weird the last couple of weeks It would crash randomly and sometimes when I picked it up to put it somewhere else it crashed too Now I thought this up, boot Windows cursor screen 8 with black won't was a problem with Windows because it didn't behave like this before with normal Windows Windows 8 won't boot up, black screen with cursor So I Refreshed my laptop and after that it worked again without crashing I left it in sleep mode while I got some sleep too and when I booted it up this morning it crashed again After that the whole laptop wouldn't boot up and now the only thing that shows is a cursor on a black screen and it seems to be stuck in sleep mode because I can't even turn it off completely manually So I can't access the BIOS or make it boot up in Safe Mode What the hell should I do Specs Toshiba Sattelite L -A- U Windows -bit Intel i th generation processor with Intel HD graphics card nVidia GeForce GT M graphics card x GB DDR L RAM

A:Windows 8 won't boot up, black screen with cursor

Remove battery and it will power off. Insert battery and power on. Acess bios now.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/51281-windows-8-wont-boot-up-black-screen-cursor.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Mod Edit moved to Virus Trojan Spyware and Malware Removal Logs boopmeI believe somehow I have managed to download a malware I can still access my screen Windows a boots 8 cursor a and black with up BIOS but when I start up my computer the windows logo appears and it begins loading up but when it goes away it just remains at a black screen that I can move my cursor around Happened after installing a possible phony uTorrent it required a computer restart When I restarted it went to the black screen I waited a minute or two and it eventually brought up an internet explorer screen that Windows 8 boots up with a black screen and a cursor looked to me like one of those fake pages that said I had malware it was obvious to me I did have malware because I couldnt see do anything else other than look at that screen I shut down my computer with the button after that Screen never came back up it only remains black w cursor I have a custom built computer I can provide specs if needed Help ASAP would be greatly appreciated thanks EDIT When starting up in normal mode I found that I can access task manager from ctrl alt delete After a little bit internet explorer popped open with the page I was mentioning above that looked fake Pic http i imgur com mEI wko png

A:Windows 8 boots up with a black screen and a cursor

Greetings BigWallaceLittleWalt and to BleepingComputer's Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum.My name is Oh My! and I am here to help you! Now that we are "friends" please call me Gary.If you would allow me to call you by your first name I would prefer to do that.===================================================Ground Rules:First, I would like to inform you that most of us here at Bleeping Computer offer our expert assistance out of the goodness of our hearts. Please try to match our commitment to you with your patience toward us. If this was easy we would never have met. Please do not run any tools or take any steps other than those I will provide for you while we work on your computer together. I need to be certain about the state of your computer in order to provide appropriate and effective steps for you to take. Most often "well intentioned" (and usually panic driven!) independent efforts can make things much worse for both of us. If at any point you would prefer to take your own steps please let me know, I will not be offended. I would be happy to focus on the many others who are waiting in line for assistance.Please perform all steps in the order they are listed in each set of instructions. Some steps may be a bit complicated. If things are not clear, be sure to stop and let me know. We need to work on this together with confidence.Please copy and paste all logs into your post unless directed otherwise. Please do not re-run any programs I suggest. If you encounter problems simply stop and tell me.When you post your reply, use the button instead.In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see the button. Click on this then choose Immediate E-Mail notification and then Proceed and you will be sent an email once I have posted a response.If you do not reply to your topic after 5 days we assume it has been abandoned and I will close it.When your computer is clean I will alert you of such. I will also provide for you detailed information about how you can combat future infections.I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so.Now let's get started ===================================================Now that I am assisting you, you can expect that I will be very responsive to your situation. If you are able, I would request you check this thread at least once per day so that we can try to resolve your issues effectively and efficiently. If you are going to be delayed please be considerate and post that information so that I know you are still with me. Unfortunately, there are many people waiting to be assisted and not enough of us at BleepingComputer to go around. I appreciate your understanding and diligence.Thank you for your patience thus far. Please run this program for me.===================================================Farbar's Recovery Scan Tool--------------------For this step you will need a USB flash drive and start on a clean computer.From a working computer please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive. You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC and follow the 2 step process below to enter the System Recovery Options using one of the three options listed, then running Farbar's Recover Scan Tool----------Entering into the System Recovery OptionsOption #1To enter System Recovery Options in Windows 8:If you are using Windows 8 consult How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt to enter System Recovery Command prompt and skp the next two options.Option #2To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:Restart the computer.As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your c... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565585/windows-8-boots-up-with-a-black-screen-and-a-cursor/
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi I'm new to this forum and have a problem with the starting up my Gateway dx desktop running Windows Symptoms will startup to Windows logo then go black with a solid white cursor in the center of the screen tried all Advanced boot options safemode etc but still not working can get into the Bios screen booted up the gateway recovery disc amp Black 7 Cursor Screen with at Windows startup also windows repair disc However startup repair results showed no problems Tried to do a system restore Windows 7 Black Screen with Cursor at startup but apparently all restore points are now gone I did notice that the initial Gateway logo screen is now an Acer screen Since I need to retrieve all the data on my Gateway i have connected harddrive to a borrowed newer desktop running Window The gateway drive shows as drive E but when I click on it I get a Location is not available Access denied error message On the newer computer running windows I was able to run Malwarebytes GMER TDSSKiller on drive E All returned problems detected So would appreciate any assistance in getting rid of the black screen problem or perhaps guidance on the best way to copy over the contents of my gateway harddisk to the newer computer running Windows so I can do a System Recovery on my old gateway and copy the contents back over to it Thanks much in advance

A:Windows 7 Black Screen with Cursor at startup

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.
To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:
*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/516237 <<< CLICK THIS LINK
If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.
***************************************************If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new DDS log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.
Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.
We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download DDS by sUBs from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.DDS.com Download LinkDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.
Information on A/V control can be found HERE.As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516237/windows-7-black-screen-with-cursor-at-startup/
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi, I have a desktop computer with windows 7 (Inspiron 545).

When I turn it on the logo of windows loading appears normally but after it I only get a black desktop with a big white cursor (low resolution?) but there is nothing else there, no icons, no task bar, etc. just emptiness. I wish I could give out more details but there is nothing more I can do. I tried with F8 to load recovery and do a factory re-install but the option is not there, even though I know the hard drive has a partition for it, the only thing that it's there is check for errors (or fix errors) but that didn't help. I would do a full format and re-install the operative system but I don't have the original dvd.

Thanks!

EDIT: =============Please close this topic, I have decided to make a clean OS install=======
Thanks to those who took the time to read this.

A:Windows 7 - Black screen white cursor and nothing more.

EDIT: =============Please close this topic, I have decided to make a clean OS install=======
Thanks to those who took the time to read this.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/479942/windows-7-black-screen-white-cursor-and-nothing-more/
Relevancy 88.15%

I have a friend's machine that she has asked me to try and fix to with black Windows 7, boot cursor screen a it is Windows 7, boot to a black screen with cursor an Acer Z all in one touch screen She told me that when the machine was turned on immediately before the problem it was scrolling a message about replacing invalid security ID with default that may not have been the whole message unfortunately she didn't write it down The machine now boots through the bios screen and past the windows loading screen with the pulsating logo the screen then goes black with a white pointer and that's all the same thing happens in safe mode I have booted to my Windows Recovery disc the memory scans OK but the boot repair fails very quickly and system repair fails on all of the available restore points quoting a failure of some memory location Other than removing the HDD using another machine to get her data off she has made no backups despite my advice and then re-installing windows I can't think of my next step Can anyone offer me some help please Graham

A:Windows 7, boot to a black screen with cursor

Welcome to BleepingComputer, I have reported your topic as unbootable so a member of the team who deals with these problems can help you. Please be patient.

xXToffeeXx~

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/504461/windows-7-boot-to-a-black-screen-with-cursor/
Relevancy 88.15%

The problem is pretty much explained in the title but I'll explain it a little more I had the ctrl+alt+del cursor in Windows Black with screen and log after problem a few weeks ago but it seemed to fix when I did Windows Black screen with cursor and ctrl+alt+del after log in a system restore Now Windows Black screen with cursor and ctrl+alt+del after log in it has come back and a system restore does nothing I've tried a lot of stuff suggested on forums but it seems no-ones problems that are similar to mine arent exactly the same I log in to see a black screen I can move my cursor fine just there's Windows Black screen with cursor and ctrl+alt+del after log in no desktop or taskbar I can ctrl alt del to access the Task Manager but I cant start any new tasks just view whats going on When I restart my computer I press F then F to get to the boot manager I click Repair your computer or the like and it gives me the options after loading I can detect problems restore memory diagnostic etc fine When I try to restore my computer I get the message that it has restored successfully and it restarts Its a cycle of restoring restarting and restoring I have a complete back up of my C drive and program files on my D drive but cannot log on properly to restore them from the back up I have been suggested to make a new account as administrator I can not do that as I cant log on Anything you have to use the control panel to do cannot be done as I can not log in I have been told that I should re-install windows but it is an expense I cant afford until the end of the month I am prepared to do it but would rather not if you get what I mean All my program files documents etc that I could install on D drive a GB HDD are on there so the only thing that's on C drive is the OS and the anti virus Sometimes some fixes work and some don't If I do happen to suddenly fix it the next time I log in I get the black screen again Any fixes or even suggestions would be great as I'm sure you can understand problems like this are very infuriating EDIT I went back to a System Image and it seemed to have worked Last time I tried this when I later restarted my computer I had the black screen problem again I have fixed this problem My back up told me it had not backed up some of my user files such as the desktop because they were corrupt I then wandered if creating a new user would fix it and it has EDIT I now think I have a virus It worked fine last night but when I turned it on this morning I had the black screen I cant see why that would happen on its own when it was working I'm going to find my Norton disc I got with my laptop and blast my computer

A:Windows Black screen with cursor and ctrl+alt+del after log in

Glad you resolved it yourself. Nice work!

You may mark the thread solved if you desire.

For others who wonder how it was done: Fix a corrupted user profile

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/236555-windows-black-screen-cursor-ctrl-alt-del-after-log.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Okay so I recently started up my computer and for some odd reason after the "welcome" screen I get the mouse cursor but no desktop. Even after waiting around for a few minutes, nothing came up. So I shut it down and started it in safe mode and it booted fine. Anybody know whats going on inside there? I really don't have the money to have a pro look at it even though that's the last line for me. Any help on this is GREATLY appreciated

A:Windows 7 gets a black screen with cursor, no desktop

Can you install and run a full scan with Malwarebytes, in Safe Mode if necesary?

If so and it cleans up infection but Win7 still won't start, try SFC /SCANNOW Command or if necessary from the Win7 disk or Repair CD use SFC /SCANNOW Run in Command Prompt at Boot.

If these fail then everything else that can be done is in Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/309332-windows-7-gets-black-screen-cursor-no-desktop.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Im dual booting, after i open windows 7 chkdsk appeared and i let it run but after it restarts i try to open windows 8 but i cant open it because of black screen. Please if my information are lacking tell me what to give. Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/49562-help-windows-8-black-screen-w-o-cursor-after-checkdisk.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi all I was wondering if someone is able to help me try to solve an issue with my laptop I have a HP laptop running windows and at the moment cursor - screen start with Windows up 7 won't black I can't get it to Windows 7 won't start up - black screen with cursor start up It gets past the screen with the windows logo and then just displays a black screen with white cursor I don't Windows 7 won't start up - black screen with cursor remember recently having installed any updates or any other software which may have caused this I did however go away for the weekend and accidentally left my laptop on standby When I came home the battery had drained so I tried starting it back up and it loaded the 'windows shut down incorrectly' screen Trying to start windows normally after seeing that screen now Windows 7 won't start up - black screen with cursor won't work I've tried a few basic fixes Starting in safe mode - also loads black screen with white cursor Letting the black screen load and pressing ctrl alt delete - task manager doesn't start Going to advanced boot options and enabling low resolution video mode System restore - tried restoring to points one weeks ago another even older Both try the restore and then I get an unspecified error x ffff A hard reset Pressing F on startup and selecting 'restore to last known configuration' Any ideas for for what I can try next The laptop is fairly old but it's the files on it I really care about so would like to try to fix it or otherwise recover my files before doing a clean install My laptop came with windows preinstalled on it but I burnt a series of recovery disks when I got it and still have those HUGE thank you to anyone that can help me Edit I have also seen this thread Although it's the same symptom I think his situation is slightly different to mine as the computer does different things when starting up I hope my HD isn't totally broken

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/550539/windows-7-wont-start-up-black-screen-with-cursor/
Relevancy 88.15%

Well, as the thread title suggest, my hp PC has the above issues.
I am
It won't even go to the log on screen, it goes straight to the black screen & frozen cursor.

I've tried system restore, but instead of fixing the issue, it wiped out all previous restore points.

I don't know what else to do. Please help.

A:Windows 7, Black Screen, Frozen cursor

Hello C A and welcome to Seven Forums.

One of our resident experts prepared this troubleshooting guide for failure to start issues. It may help solve your problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/251039-windows-7-black-screen-frozen-cursor.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hey guys!
So like a lot of you, I wanted to upgrade my laptop to Windows 10. But when the laptop was in the middle of installing Windows 10 and had restarted a few times, as it does during the installation, it suddenly went black screen with NO cursor or anything. It has been like this for 2 days now, and I don't know what to do.
I can clearly see that the laptop is still on and "working", so it has not just shut down.
I'm afraid to force the laptop to turn off, because it's in the middle of a system upgrade. So I'm wondering if there are any alternative solutions or is my only option to force the laptop to shut down and then restart it and hope for the best?

//Myssenberg

A:Black screen with NO cursor while installing Windows 10

What's the brand name and model name and complete model number of your laptop?

Is it upgrading from Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10?

--------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-with-no-cursor-while-installing-windows-10.1153985/
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi all I haven screen black mouse 8.1 Windows with cursor t recently built a new pc and it was all working perfectly fine until today I was on my desktop and noticed a small button next to my main power button on my case Fractal design define r I pressed it and it reset my pc turns out it was a reset button lol the issues is when I booted my pc back up everything seemed fine at first but then I noticed the purple welcome login screen which is different from the usual blue logging in screen that you get At the point where I should have been taken to my desktop a black screen appears with nothing but my mouse cursor I can move the cursor around but that s about it I can still access my bios on boot and I can access my task manager using control alt delete I managed to get my pc running on safe mode using the task manager to run my msconfig however I do not know what to do from here as I m completely clueless what resetting my pc actually did and am unable Windows 8.1 black screen with mouse cursor to make amends I have uninstall ed my graphics card drivers but that was not of use either Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am completely stuck and clueless as to what I should do next to resolve the issue Thank you in advance System specs CPU Intel I - GPU Asus gtx strix Motherboard asus z -a Case fractal design define r SSD revodrive HDD seagate tb nbsp

A:Windows 8.1 black screen with mouse cursor

Hi, Use the enclosed link and at that page, read the information about how to get this screen to come up on your computer....
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/open-advanced-startup-options-windows-8.htm

Then, first try Using Last Known Good Configuration

You may first have to take the computer out of safe mode by undoing the msconfig work- I think you know how but here is some reference information on UN-doing the safe mode boot

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termss/p/safe-mode.htm

Let us know if setting the Last Known Good works for you to boot normally.

Usually, a couple of restarts will get you going.... to Normal Mode

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-8-1-black-screen-with-mouse-cursor.1142974/
Relevancy 88.15%

Im dual booting, after i open windows 7 chkdsk appeared and i let it run but after it restarts i try to open windows 8 but i cant open it because of black screen. Please if my information are lacking tell me what to give. Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/49561-help-windows-8-black-screen-w-o-cursor-after-checkdisk.html
Relevancy 88.15%

So recently my computer one day just started up and after i logged on black screen for a few minutes but i can move my cursor. When i also play a game called Rift it sometimes tell's me my Direct3D is missing and I can't run the graphics on med on Rift or any other game. I tried to reinstall my grahpics driver but nothing happened. and i dont have any unknown drivers.

Relevancy 88.15%

I was having problems with my charger for a couple of weeks I bought some cheap online charger that provided my computer with the -- not Will Black with Windows Boot Screen Cursor 7 OS wrong wattage Eventually my battery became OS Will not Boot -- Black Screen with Cursor Windows 7 ruined due to this but I bought a new one However my computer kept shutting off due OS Will not Boot -- Black Screen with Cursor Windows 7 to the lack of power So it would completely shut off This may have done some hard drive damage I suspect since I cannot boot into OS anymore I have tried another OS Will not Boot -- Black Screen with Cursor Windows 7 HDD and it seemed to work I'm trying to resolve the problem with my hard drive though I plugged it into my other computer via usb and it seems fine I am able to grab any files I need from it NOW as for my laptop the PC turns on like normal I get the bios screen I get the Windows logo screen Then I get a black screen with a mouse cursor in the middle I can move the mouse but the buttons don't do anything--left or right click No keys on the keyboard change the screen Ctrl Alt Del does nothing Windows key does nothing Esc does nothing etc At this point the only option is to hold down the power button and turn it off What I've tried I tried to start it in safe mode but the same thing happens It shows the system files that are loading The last file it shows loading is Windows system DRIVERS amdkmpfd sys then it goes to a black screen with a mouse cursor again only this time it is in safe mode resolution so the mouse cursor is larger and not as sharp Also no keyboard strokes have any affect just as with normal mode It is a Dell Inspiron so it came with an onboard repair utility I used the Startup Repair tool but it found no problems The diagnostics tools found no issues with the hard drive or any of the other major system components It passes all other tests the onboard diagnostic utility has including memory tests fan tests hard drive tests etc I have not however tried a full system restore yet From what I've read in several forums many have tried this in similar situations and still had the same problem Since there are several files I'd rather not lose I wanted to explore all other avenues Sorry if this is a repeat question in the forum Most of the other situations seemed similar but there was always something they could do that I could not like press Ctrl Alt Del or boot into safe mode or whatever Here is as much of the system info that I can gather without having the PC on not mine I'm doing this for a friend -Dell Inspiron -OS Windows Home I hope I've been thorough enough to allow you to help me without wasting any of your time and I thank you in advance

A:OS Will not Boot -- Black Screen with Cursor Windows 7

Quote: Originally Posted by DomMartinelli

I was having problems with my charger for a couple of weeks. I bought some cheap online charger that provided my computer with the wrong wattage. Eventually my battery became ruined due to this, but I bought a new one. However, my computer kept shutting off due to the lack of power. So it would completely shut off. This may have done some hard drive damage I suspect, since I cannot boot into OS anymore. I have tried another HDD and it seemed to work.

I'm trying to resolve the problem with my hard drive though. I plugged it into my other computer via usb and it seems fine. I am able to grab any files I need from it. NOW as for my laptop, the PC turns on like normal. I get the bios screen. I get the Windows logo screen. Then I get a black screen with a mouse cursor in the middle.
I can move the mouse, but the buttons don't do anything--left or right click. No keys on the keyboard change the screen. Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing. Windows key does nothing. Esc does nothing, etc. At this point the only option is to hold down the power button and turn it off.
What I've tried:
I tried to start it in safe mode, but the same thing happens. It shows the system files that are loading. The last file it shows loading is Windows/system32/DRIVERS/amdkmpfd.sys then it goes to a black screen with a mouse cursor again; only this time it is in safe mode resolution so the mouse cursor is larger and not as sharp. Also, no keyboard strokes have any affect just as with normal mode.
It is a Dell Inspiron, so it came with an onboard repair utility. I used the Startup Repair tool, but it found no problems. The diagnostics tools found no issues with the hard drive or any of the other major system components.

It passes all other tests the onboard diagnostic utility has including, memory tests, fan tests, hard drive tests, etc.
I have not, however, tried a full system restore yet. From what I've read in several forums, many have tried this in similar situations and still had the same problem. Since there are several files I'd rather not lose, I wanted to explore all other avenues.

Sorry if this is a repeat question in the forum. Most of the other situations seemed similar, but there was always something they could do that I could not, like press Ctrl+Alt+Del or boot into safe mode or whatever.
Here is as much of the system info that I can gather without having the PC on (not mine, I'm doing this for a friend):
-Dell Inspiron ( 7520)

I hope I've been thorough enough to allow you to help me without wasting any of your time, and I thank you in advance

Hi DomMartinelli,

Welcome to Seven forums.

First of all run a diagnostic on the harddrive to ensure that it is not gone corrupt. Check this video for performing the same:

http://dell.to/18xQpRy

And, check this tutorial which outlines all the possible steps for recovering your operating system and avoiding data loss until and unless necessary:

If you have made a system backup image using dell datasafe then you can put the system to factory settings as a last resort:

http://dell.to/19boJUM

Keep us posted with the results so we can advise you further.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/305697-os-will-not-boot-black-screen-cursor-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 88.15%

My windows starts in a black screen with cursor after the logo shows.

Then I've tried System Restore in safe mode but it says that you need to run CHKDSK.

But when I run CHKDSK when reboot it says " CHKDSK cannot due to recently installed software".
If I run CHKDSK in CMD with this command "chkdsk /f /r", it says "CHKDSK cannot run because the volume is in use by another process". and I've tried "chkdsk /x" but still can't run.
I've also tried running CHKDSK in "My Computer->Local Disk (C->Properties->Tools->Error-checking" but its says "file system corrupted".

I've also tried to repair using Windows Installer Disc, But can't find "Repair" in Boot Menu.

Please Help. Thanks!

Note: My Windows still works in Safe Mode and with Networking.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/400510-windows-starts-black-screen-cursor.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hey I shut down my computer last night It runs and when I shut it down I do not believe it installed updates I came home this afternoon and tried to boot it It boots and after I type in my PIN shows my desktop for a few seconds Then my display will either turn black or a blueish grey There is no cursor It does this every reboot now I can not do anything except reset when it happens System info Two GTX 's in SLI Two Asus monitors Possible culprits - I have Actual Multiple Monitors trial installed The freezing display blanking seems to happen when the trial time left window shows up but that may be coincidence - I heard graphics card driver updates and windows updates can clash in some way and cause a similar issue From what I've read a cursor is 8.1 log in. cursor after Windows screen black/blank No still on screen and task manager can be opened with CTRL SHIFT ESC Neither of these work for me - Virus I have avast so I doubt it Anyone got any clue what's wrong and how to fix it specs Intel Core i - K Gigabyte GeForce GTX -Way SLI Corsair R - current - lillz's Saved Part List - PCPartPicker

A:Windows 8.1 black/blank screen after log in. No cursor

With two large graphics cards, the size of the power supply is very important....what is the model number?

What configuration are you running the dual monitors in. Are they both running from one video card, and which ports?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/51096-windows-8-1-black-blank-screen-after-log-no-cursor.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I installed windows 10 on my HP laptop and it seemed to work okay for a few hours with a few shortcuts on the main screen missing. After I closed the lid, it went into sleep mode and has never recovered. I can power down by holding the power button, but
when I power up again, all I get is a black screen, with no mouse pointer. How can I get to safe mode, or get any screen function back so I can get rid of Windows 10 forever?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/260a2c0b-f706-41c8-b8b7-ca52c1b7e726/black-screen-with-no-cursor-after-windows-10-install?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 88.15%

hello as the title states i have a windows pc that won't boot past a blinking cursor on a darkened screen it went through a chkdsk r and lots of different things that took minutes renamed some deleted some then rebooted on 7 black a blinking screen cursor windows nothing i went into the registry and opened a hive and made sure the bootup went to explerer exe -- nothing then i decided to take some files off windows 7 blinking cursor on a black screen the drive windows 7 blinking cursor on a black screen from another pc when windows 7 blinking cursor on a black screen i plugged it in explorer showed a 'system reserved drive' in my case m and a 'local drive' n when i click on m it shows it to be empty and when i click on n i get the window 'n is not accessible access is denied' but does show there to be data on it so then i right clicked on both drives and changed the security to allow everything for SYSTEM amp Administrator see read modify etc i know i have admin rights to do this and everything is running smoothly as all the files appear to be getting their attributes changed now i right click on both drives and see i have full rights but i STILL can't see or access the files on n i can see the files as their attribs are being changed one by one so i know they're there but i can't manipulate them in explorer help and thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/384045-windows-7-blinking-cursor-black-screen.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I've searched all over for solutions to this. Upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro from 8 through the Windows Store. Everything seemed to go smoothly. Updated graphics card drivers prior to install of 8.1. Now whenever I start up, I can log in, but then it goes to a black screen with a cursor. Ctrl-Alt-Del will bring up the task manager and from there I can access programs and get on the internet. So after maybe 5 minutes or so after opening a program (usually firefox) the Metro screen randomly loads. None of the store apps worked, though I was able to find a fix for that. Some of them still don't work right though. Am I better off just reinstalling 8 and waiting for them to fix it? Or is there a better way to upgrade from 8 other than through the store?

A:Black screen and cursor after login. Windows 8.1

I have the same Video card as yours. You might want to re-install the Video driver from NVIDIA website but use the Custom Install instead. On the next screen. put a check mark on "Perform Clean Install".

In addition, make sure you have the latest BIOS installed from your MB manufacturer.

Good luck !!!

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/36556-black-screen-cursor-after-login-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I have an Acer aspire 5733-6607 with Intel Core i3 CPU 2.40GHz.

My mom was on it playing a game on the internet and stepped away to wash dishes when she came back it was on the black screen with the blinking cursor in the top left corner. I tried system repair disc, the recovery disc that it had me make when I first got the laptop and windows defeender offline nothing worked. I tried F8 and it goes to the black screen with acer and where I can press F2 or F12 and then back to screen with blinking cursor. I tried restoring default settings in the F2 menu also.

I was wondering if there was something someone knew that maybe I overlooked any help will be really appreciated thanks..

A:Windows 7 64 bit black screen with flashing cursor?

Unplug all USB devices from your laptop. Restart and see whether the blank screen problem remains.

It is possible that Windows refuses to boot with a USB device such as an external hard drive or a flash drive connected to your computer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/246690-windows-7-64-bit-black-screen-flashing-cursor.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hello all I had some memory issues with my login 7 cursor a only screen, x64 Windows Black computer recently had to adjust the timings and now that they work ran memtest for hours w o an error Windows can't seem to boot Alright so the login screen is black only with a cursor the at ease panel windows Black login screen, only a cursor Windows 7 x64 pro logo center bottom and shutdown red button in it's normal position Although the at ease button and shutdown button don't display anything when clicked but they do work example I can shutdown using the shutdown button The same thing happens for safe-mode OK here's the strange thing when my external hard drive is unplugged it goes straight to the above screen But when the external hard drive is on while the boot starts I just get a complete black screen When I turn it off during the complete black screen phase it'll go right to the regular one Black login screen, only a cursor Windows 7 x64 above with the logo cursor only I've also entered repair and tried to restore to a previous point but it's pulling the from the E drive which isn't the drive I installed windows on If you couldn't guess the E drive was the label for the external hard drive Please help and I appreciate any feedback I'll be at work soon and will be able to respond quickly all day but I won't be able to adjust my computer Thanks

A:Black login screen, only a cursor Windows 7 x64

I'm having the same problem on my 32bit system.

try this

1. When you see the black screen and white cursor press CTRL+ALT+DEL
2. Select Task Manager
3. File > New Task (Run...)
4. Type explorer.exe

It's a temp fix but you'll have to repeat the steps when you machine starts up again.

Good luck.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/68128-black-login-screen-only-cursor-windows-7-x64.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi,

I've been running Vista for a few months now without much complaint until recently. After booting, the green loading bar is followed by the windows logo before the screen flickers several dark colors and then produces a black screen with a movable cursor. The hard drive light remains unlit after the black screen. Running in safe mode gives the same result. I do not have a repair disk and I would rather not wipe the hard drive with a factory default disk as I have important data on my hard disk.

I am running Toshiba Satellite with an Intel Core™2 Duo Processor T5550, 2 GB RAM and an ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3470 - 256 MB

I've been trying to restore my pc for a few days now with no luck. HELP!

Thanks

A:Black Screen and Cursor after windows logo

Originally Posted by revor

Hi,

I've been running Vista for a few months now without much complaint until recently. After booting, the green loading bar is followed by the windows logo before the screen flickers several dark colors and then produces a black screen with a movable cursor. The hard drive light remains unlit after the black screen. Running in safe mode gives the same result. I do not have a repair disk and I would rather not wipe the harddrive as I have important data on my hard disk.

I am running Toshiba Satellite with an Intel Core?2 Duo Processor T5550, 2 GB RAM and an ATI Mobility Radeon? HD 3470 - 256 MB

I've been trying to restore my pc for a few days now with no luck. HELP!

Thanks

I`m no Vista PRO, but the first thing i would do is:

Run Vista Startup Repair, that can be found in the tutorials.
(It is quite easy, just boot from the CD, and Repair it.)

If this doesn`t work, try to boot in safe mode and then Backup your things.
(To run in Safe Mode, i use the method, turn on wait until the vista logo comes, then turn off by the button, so next time you boot, you can choose to Safe Mode)

Backup the computer by a External Drive. ( Don`t use DVDs, its a waste)

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/178603-black-screen-cursor-after-windows-logo.html
Relevancy 88.15%

for some reason I can't even get into windows 7, after I get pass the screen that says "asus" , my laptop brand, It goes into a black screen with a blinking cursor in the left hand corner like this:

I'm unable to do anything at that point, it just blinks. I can't even boot into safe mode now, the only think I'm able to get into is the Bios Setup Utility menus and Asus' express gate, which is just a media/internet/gaming/skype thing that doesn't allow .exe files to run...

This came factory installed so I don't have a windows 7 disc to help run fixes or anything. please, someone, help.

A:Can't get into windows, black screen with blinking cursor

Hello grive and welcome to Seven Forums.

Have you tried booting into Advanced Boot Options? As soon as you start your machine click the F8 key (top row of keyboard) and keep clicking until you see the Advanced Boot Options screen. This tutorial has a bit more info.

Advanced Boot Options

From here you should be able to choose from several different options including Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, etc.

Depending on your specific computer you may also have a hidden recovery partition that can return your machine to factory specs (just like the day it was when you got it home.) On some laptops you can press F9 at start up and that should open the recovery process. I believe you get four different options:

1. If none of the following recovery options is selected, the computer will just be rebooted to load Windows (if Recovery is started from the hard drive) or run the bootable disc in the optical drive.

2. The first partition is deleted (the others remain intact) and a new system partition C: will be created.

3. This option removes all the partitions from the hard drive and creates a new system partition C:.

4.This option removes all the partitions from the hard drive and creates two new partitions C: (60% of the drive’s storage capacity) and D: (40%).

You might want to check your owners manual or quick start guide to see if it gives more info.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/171529-cant-get-into-windows-black-screen-blinking-cursor.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi there,

I'm having troubles with my netbook that has never happened before. Lately it's been acting up. The netbook sometimes seems to go to a black screen with my cursor showing but cannot get out of the black screen at all. This happened a couple times now, and I'm forced to shutdown the netbook with the power button and restart it. This usually happens when I leave it idle while opened. Could this be a virus? I've had a couple viruses but I took them out. I did a full scan with Kaspersky Internet Security 2011. And an updated version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. The netbook was clean. I'll try to do a rescan and see what pops up. But is there any other tips as to how I should trouble shoot this issue? Thanks for the help!

A:Windows Stuck on Black Screen with Cursor....

If you had viruses, and cleaned them out, but are still having problems with the system........

You are better off backing up your data to external drive
Format disk and reinstall everything from scratch

That will be much easier in the long run

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/144474-windows-stuck-black-screen-cursor.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi all XP Blinking black screen Windows - cursor, Pro I was hoping that someone can guide me through resolving this problem that I think is related to Windows XP I have an old Thinkpad T laptop that stopped booting up but instead would go to a black screen with a blinking cursor on the top left-hand side I tried booting from a CD after changing the boot list but that didn't work and also tried using a repair CD but that didn't work either i e nothing showed on the screen At some point much later when I started up the laptop it went to the IBM thinkpad splash screen and then to a screen that says Error Check date and time settings Press F to Setup I've read on the internet that this issue is likely caused by a bad CMOS battery so I ordered a new one What I wanted to know before replacing the battery is Could that have caused the blinking cursor black screen problem as well or is it more likely a virus that corrupted the Master Blinking cursor, black screen - Windows XP Pro Boot Record or perhaps I have both problems Would it work if I just swap out the hard drive and use the hd from a Toshiba Satellite C laptop either internally or somehow externally The Toshiba powers up but the screen is cracked so I cant use that laptop now either I just want to be able to use the Thinkpad until I replace the Toshiba and am looking for the easiest solution Appreciate any suggestions

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/blinking-cursor-black-screen-windows-xp-pro-278334/
Relevancy 88.15%

So here's my story I have a Toshiba Satellite with cursor 7 up boot on black screen Windows L -ES laptop running a bit Windows Windows 7 black screen with cursor on boot up My laptop restarted with the usual Windows updates as it went through the steps and percentages to update and I logged back in Also as it seems to happen often the flag at the bottom right of my desktop alerted me that I still had some updates that I needed to install after installing the previous ones I went through the control panel System and Security and started to download the extra updates through Windows Update The updates installed the laptop restarted and my log in screen came up and everything seemed normal I wanted to take a nap so I put my laptop on hibernate from the log in screen When I woke up however and pressed the power button to wake it back up the Toshiba boot up screen showed up but after that there was only a black screen with the blinking cursor in the top left corner which has prevented me from getting to the log in screen and completely boot up my computer I have put my hard drive in another Toshiba laptop of my family's and it does the same thing so I know this is an issue with my hard drive I'm not sure what the updates did but it seems to have done something to the files that prevent me from booting up I do not have my Windows CDs that came with the computer since my mother moved and I don't know what she did with my things since I am currently in college I have tried Ctrl Alt Delete but all that does is restart the boot up screen and the black screen of death I have continually pressed F to bring up Safe Mode options but nothing happens Here is some of the data I can get by pressing F before the black screen disables me from doing anything further with my computer Toshiba Disk Drive ML GSX S HDD H gb CPU Type Pentium R Dual-Core CPU T GHz Optical Disk Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAMGT F S Total Memory MB System BIOS Version Please help Again I can't access a single thing when I turn on my laptop except for the BIOS setups and boot screen F and F before the black screen with the blinking cursor shows up I do NOT want to delete anything from my hard drive if I can help it I for one don't understand why after installing the updates it restarted and took me to the log in screen but after hibernating it decided to not boot up and shows the black screen Just tell me if you need more information

A:Windows 7 black screen with cursor on boot up

When this happens, it could mean that one of your updates was installing and became corrupted, our was incompatible to begin with. When your computer its booting up, you should try to access the boot menu to see if the option to boot from last successful configuration is available. If not, can you enter the system recovery menu (F9), and try to recover the computer by resetting it to an earlier configuration? Do you have the install cd for windows?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/176018-windows-7-black-screen-cursor-boot-up.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Basically I woke up this morning to my computer sitting at a black screen with the cursor visible I'm able to move the cursor but do nothing else I rebooted my computer my manually shutting it off and then it started up as it would normally but did this disc check http i imgur com BKfTU jpg from there it moves back to the black screen with the cursor I again restarted and booted in safe mode this time I was then able to reach windows and tried to do a system restore to an earlier point When i did this i was greeted with this error http i imgur com screen w/ Boots black Windows cursor to 7 ZwV B jpg Finally here is my harddrive just in case http i imgur com JXnZ jpg I exported my full system info so please let me know if more info is necessary OS Name Microsoft Windows Professional Version Service Pack Build Other Windows 7 Boots to black screen w/ cursor OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name System Manufacturer INTEL System Model DH BL System Type x -based PC Processor Intel R Core TM i - CPU GHz Mhz Core s Logical Processor s BIOS Version Date Intel Corp BLH H A SMBIOS Version Windows Directory C Windows System Directory C Windows system Boot Windows 7 Boots to black screen w/ cursor Device Device HarddiskVolume

A:Windows 7 Boots to black screen w/ cursor

Boot into recovery environment->command prompt
dir c:
dir d:
dir e:

What is windows disk c, d or e (may differ!) Assume it's c

chkdsk/f c:

post results

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/241101-windows-7-boots-black-screen-w-cursor.html
Relevancy 88.15%

A friend asked me to see if I could get his computer running again, but I'm about ready to pull what's left of my hair out. Its an eMachines mini desktop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Windows will not boot to the desktop screen, only to a black screen and mouse cursor. Hitting F8 only gets you safe mode options, all of which stall the same way. There's no "Last Known Good Configuration" option either. Using a Windows 7 64-bit rescue disk doesn't help, because it doesn't find anything wrong when running the diagnostics, and there aren't any restore points to revert back to. I've already tried the bootrec.exe /fixmbr and /fixboot remedy, no change. The computer is used by their kids quite a bit so I'm wondering if it might be virus/malware/Trojan related? Thanks for your help.

A:Windows 7 boots to black screen w/cursor

Hi There:
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your friend's eMachines pc. They are fine computers.

Before you try any of my sugestions, IT IS CRITICAL THAT YOU BACKUP ALL OF YOUR FRIEND'S CRITICAL DATA! You should backup to an External Hard Drive, Flash Drive, or CD/DVD discs first!

With that said; here are the things you can try in this order:

1) Try to boot into the eMachines hidden Partition Recovery using F5, F7, F10, or F12 keys on power-up boot. You can download the eMachines User Manual from their website at: eMachines Support - Welcome to eMachines Support.

Once in that Recovery Menu, it will ask you what repair you want to try, and you want to restore the PC to Factory Condition, which is a DESTRUCTIVE operation and will destroy all of your friend's data and reinstall Win7 and all programs and settings that came with the computer when it was new out of the box right after your friend purchased it. This is why I had you backup your data first before you do this. **also, if you have never done this before, I suggest you take to a local computer expert or Certified Technician at your local computer store**.
THIS IS AN IRREVERSIBLE STEP!

After doing this, and you get the same Black Screen result, most likely your hard drive is damaged and possibly the Motherboard (Main Board) could also be damaged as well. Take to a local Certified Computer Expert at this point.

2.) Ask your friend for the Recovery Discs that came in the box when he/she purchased the computer. Many people lose them, or don't have the complete set. They are available from the Manufacturer, which is now Gateway, as Gateway purchased eMachines the company a few years ago. I will provide that link to purchase discs here: Contact Us

If your friend provides you with the Recovery Discs, there will most likely be from 2-6 dvd discs, possible more. Insert Disc1 of the Factory Recovery Disc set and restart the computer, it will give you a menu and choose the "Restore to Factory Condition" option or equivalent. After 3 hrs. or more (possibly 6 hrs.) it will restore your Win7 on that pc to original condition Win7 with all programs originally installed on that computer at the Factory as I mention in Step #1 above. **Once again, if you've never performed a full Factory Recovery, it is High Risk and I don't recommend it, that's best left to the Computer Experts like me.**

If Win7 boots to the Windows desktop you have fixed your friend's problem and after you test it on the Internet you can copy back all his backed up data onto it for him and return a working pc to him!

If however, Win7 still gives you the same Black Screen or a Black Screen with a white-lettered Error Message such as "ntbootldr.exe not available or not present"; you most likely have a faulty hard drive or Motherboard and it would need to be replaced.

3.) If you wish to try the simplest method to test your hardware, you can also borrow or buy a replacement hard drive or the correct type and capacity and swap the hard drive with the one in the pc now. **THIS STEP REQUIRES EXPERIENCE OPENING UP COMPUTERS; IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE THIS BEFORE AND DON'T FEEL CONFIDENT DOING, IT DON'T--TAKE TO A CERTIFIED COMPUTER EXPERT!!!!!****
If you can then install Win7 using Method #1 or Method #2 above on the hard drive and Win7 now boots; you have identified the culprit as a faulty hard drive and should replace it. If you know how to do that, you can reload his Win7 and then send his faulty hard drive out for Data Recovery to a local Computer Expert to get his data back so you can copy back onto his newly installed Win7 with-new-hard-drive setup and he'll be good to go!

You can also view this Sticky from TSF forum on using Factory Media for Recovery at: Tech Support Forum - Announcements in Forum : Microsoft Support

Finally, allow plenty of time to perform these procedures; typically it is several days to go through any or all of these. Even for me it will ta... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/windows-7-boots-to-black-screen-w-cursor-708745.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hello This morning I was on the internet on my Gateway MP notebook when internet explorer started acting weird It sounded like it was constantly trying to reload a page over and over So I closed IE and upon trying to reopen it would immediately shut down Firefox wouldnt even open at this point I did some searches around the net and after running Malwarebytes anti malware and removing a few items IE still wouldnt stay open I found a posting on the net saying that if you go into Internet Options and uncheck quot enable third party browser extensions quot which I did IE seemed to stay open after this but would not load the home page Also my PC seemed a bit laggy so I did a restart This is where the system took a dump It only....HELP!!! XP screen Windows and to black starts cursor loads up past the bios screen and the windows obligatory splash screen then just loads to a black Windows XP starts to black screen and cursor only....HELP!!! screen with the mouse cursor and stays Windows XP starts to black screen and cursor only....HELP!!! that way I tried booting in safe mode with command prompt with networking and without all I get is the safe mode information on the top and bottom of the black screen along with the cursor but nothing else Tried last good configuration but still a no go It seems to me that windows was somehow corrupted by whatever infected me Any ideas on how to fix this short of reinstalling windows and losing everything My system specs are as follows P S I also tried hooking up to external monitor via VGA and would see the same thing the black screen with the cursor Thanks Windows XP starts to black screen and cursor only....HELP!!! in advance guys Gateway MP Notebook Windows XP PRO SP Intel core duo ghz gb ram gm internal HD sorry just going from memory on all of this nbsp

A:Windows XP starts to black screen and cursor only....HELP!!!

Boot to your XP disk and get into the Recovery Console.
Run chkdsk /r, It may take some time to run so be patient. After it finishes and you're back to the C; prompt,
then run fixboot.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-starts-to-black-screen-and-cursor-only-help.779279/
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi - I'm hoping someone can assist with a fixlist based on the below log and search. Thanks! Vin

A:Windows 7 Black screen with cursor - rpcss.dll

I'm not able to boot into Safe Mode. I can get to CMD from the System Recovery Option, but SFC isn't able to run -- "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot...."

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/539642/windows-7-black-screen-with-cursor-rpcssdll/
Relevancy 88.15%

Hello please forgive me if this is in the wrong thread 7 Screen after Cursor Update Black Windows with I have a Sony Vaio VPCEB FM and my issue is that my computer loads to a black screen with just the cursor This first happened when I left my laptop on over night and I believe Windows did an automatic update and rebooted to the black screen I have tried restoring to a point before the Windows update but I got an error System Restore failed to extract the file D Windows assembly GAC Microsoft DirectX AudioVideoPlayback b from the restore point An unspecified error occurred during system Black Screen with Cursor after Windows 7 Update Restore x Clicking on the black screen with the mouse and pressing of any buttons does absolutely nothing so I can't open the task manager Last Known Good Configuration brings me to the same screen I have tried booting in to safe mode and reach the same black Black Screen with Cursor after Windows 7 Update screen with the cursor I have also tried enabling low resolution video which also brought me to the same screen I have tried to provide any useful information that I can think of If I have left anything out that might help find a solution please let me know Thank you for reading over this issue any help will mean a lot to me

A:Black Screen with Cursor after Windows 7 Update

Hi,

I would suggest you follow this tutorial and run a Startup repair

Also this tutorial might be of help:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/219533-troubleshooting-windows-7-failure-boot.html

cheers

Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/294304-black-screen-cursor-after-windows-7-update.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi, I have a HP Envy 23 and recently upgraded to Windows 10 and now have the black screen issue which I can see is very common. As soon as the machine is powered up I have a black screen. Neither the mouse or keyboard are working so cannot try the fix of typing in the password and trying to log in. There is no HDMI input/output so I cannot attach another monitor without purchasing a VGA to USB adapter. Would anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks Dan

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Windows-10-Black-screen-no-cursor-or-keyboard/td-p/5747587
Relevancy 88.15%

hello all im new to this site i read alot about this probleem quot Windows Ultimate -bit Black screen with Cursor hang quot i dide clean install win ultimate x quot and the 7 screen Windows Black Ultimate with Cursor same for quot and Windows 7 Ultimate Black screen with Cursor i still have the same probleem after complete instal and do restart or shutdown there is no booting after motherboard logo there a black screen with cursor M B intel g core due e kingstoon gb - mhz i did replace HDD with new one Ram with new one even i replace VGA Card the same i checked bios temp driver finaly i i did format and instald Xp and work fine then i back to win ultimate the same probleem today i try win professional bit and its work fine and i try win professional bit the same only ultimate hang in booting and alt ctrl delete not work at all also F didnt work i mean i cant reach menu for save mood or last good etc any help thank you all

A:Windows 7 Ultimate Black screen with Cursor

any idea !?!?! no one have this probleem before ?!? ..

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/242331-windows-7-ultimate-black-screen-cursor.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Basically I woke up this morning to my computer sitting at a black screen with the cursor visible I'm able to move the cursor but do nothing else I rebooted my computer my manually shutting it off and then it started up as it would normally but did this disc check http i imgur com BKfTU jpg from there it moves back to the black screen with the screen (oh to black 7 w/ theres Boots Windows cursor more) cursor Windows 7 Boots to black screen w/ cursor (oh theres more) I again restarted and booted in safe mode this time I was then able to reach windows and tried to do a system restore to an earlier point When i did this i was greeted with this error http i Windows 7 Boots to black screen w/ cursor (oh theres more) imgur com ZwV B jpg Finally here is my harddrive just in case http i imgur com JXnZ jpg I exported my full system info so please let me know if more info is necessary OS Name Microsoft Windows Professional Version Service Pack Build Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name System Manufacturer INTEL System Model DH BL System Type x -based PC Processor Intel R Core TM i - CPU GHz Mhz Core s Logical Processor s BIOS Version Date Intel Corp BLH H A SMBIOS Version Windows Directory C Windows System Directory C Windows system Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume

A:Windows 7 Boots to black screen w/ cursor (oh theres more)

Hi Welcome to TSF

This seems like issue with your hard drive (it is going bad or getting there)
First thing to do in this case is to play it safe and be ready for anything
backup all your data to an external drive
if you can not get into windows try this guide below
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek

Download Seatools for your hard drive and test your drive with it to see what it comes up with and if it can repair hard drive

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/windows-7-boots-to-black-screen-w-cursor-oh-theres-more-655977.html