Windows Support Forum

I am having trouble accessing a partition on an external drive.

Q: I am having trouble accessing a partition on an external drive.

I am having a similar problem where a partition is not accessible and when I click on properties I get a message that recycle bin is corrupted. I have a win7 OEM Home edition and one feature that I do not see is the security tab in Properties that many of you have mentioned as a means to resolve this issue.
Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any and all considerations in this matter.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: I am having trouble accessing a partition on an external drive.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: I am having trouble accessing a partition on an external drive.

I am having trouble accessing a partition on an external drive. Other partitions on that drive are accessible. When I click on properties for that partition, I get an message saying that the recycle bin is corrupted, do i want to empty it? I saw elsewhere in forums that others were having similar problem and that this was recommended as a solution. I downloaded the zip file, followed the instructions and when I click on properties for that partition I still do not get the option of taking ownership.
??????
Will try rebooting to see if that helps. Otherwise any and all consideration in this matter is appreciated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/319366-i-am-having-trouble-accessing-partition-external-drive.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I was moving some files between my external hard drive and computer, but my cat knocked over the external, causing it to disconnect. I am now having trouble accessing the hard drive. I'm thinking that the hard drive became corrupt (like when it does not get safely removed). I've tried to use Testdisk to try to repair the hard drive, but I keep getting "Partition: Read Error". I cant access the hard drive at all, but it does get detected by the computer. Is the data still salvageable? The drive is a 1TB toshiba external SATA drive.

Relevancy 86.86%

I have an older 30 GB SATA drive (FAT format) that I use for backups via USB. It works fine when I connect it to my Mac. When I connect it to my XP SP2 computer, device manager shows it's there without any conflict, yet I have no way to access it - there is no icon under My Computer for it.

?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-accessing-an-external-sata-drive-via-usb-on-xp.953907/
Relevancy 86.86%

Ok well I dropped my external hard drive and am now having trouble accessing it on my computer When Accessing drive Hard External Trouble I plug it in it makes this strange series of beeps Kind of hard to explain But anyways after that stops the icon in the bottom right corner appears letting me know that the computer has recognized Trouble Accessing External Hard drive the hard drive and is giving me the option to safely remove the device So this is where the trouble starts When I go to my computer my external is nowhere to be found It is listed in the device manager but I still can t access it I have tried updating the Trouble Accessing External Hard drive driver and rolling it back Trouble Accessing External Hard drive Still nothing I am hoping that the hard drive isn t fried and perhaps the enclosure is having trouble connecting the drive to the computer I have a ton of music on it so I m praying that I can get this squared away Any help would be much appreciated Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 86.43%

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out here I have a strange situation I'm running Windows and I a external an partition Problem hard accessing drive on have an external hard drive that won't let me access GB or so of its TB The drive mounts about GB and the rest is nowhere to be found If I go into Disk Manager I can see both of them the GB reads as K FAT healthy active and Problem accessing a partition on an external hard drive primary Problem accessing a partition on an external hard drive partition while the other reads as healthy and primary partition no letter or anything else If I right-click it my only options are delete volume and help It's brand new and the GB has nothing on it Here's the catch it's not my hard drive This hard drive actually has to go back to a Mac user NOT a Windows user to reiterate I've only got so long with this thing and I have to put some files on it How can I make this GB usable for me so I can put files on it and then usable for a Mac user I'll provide any information you need Thanks

A:Problem accessing a partition on an external hard drive

the mac part is what got me to my answer, it is because that 900GB partition most likely in format mac os journaled and not seeable by windows at all and never will be it has to be fat 32, NTFS (which a mac can't write too without special drivers), or ExFAT which if you are sure that there is nothing on it then you can delete the whole partition setup of it and format the whole thing to ExFat as that is something mac and windows can read and write too.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/37317-problem-accessing-partition-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 86%

I m facing a big problem with my Simpleshare GB hard drive and Windows Vista Here is the situation I have two machines in network and both of them have more or less the same configuration Both have Intel Pentium Ghz processor and GB ram But the one in which i am having a problem right now also has MB Nvidia Geforce Graphics card I have been using Vista for quite sometime now But this time when i thought that my machine is becoming slow i formatted it and since then the issue with my External Hard drive has come Hard Simpleshare External Trouble accessing Drive up The access to the folders are very slow and if i want to install an application it takes ages to show up I must tell at this point that My Simpleshare is connected to both the machines and in the other machine there is no problem at all So at this point i can say its not a Generic Windows Vista and Simpleshare drive clash It is very specific to one of my machines i tried the following things Tried bringing up my machine in Selective startup mode In this mode i deselected all the services except for those which are required for networking in Windows Vista and disabled all the startup items Still the issue persisted At this moment my External Trouble accessing Simpleshare External Hard Drive hard drive is connected through a router to two of my machines This time Trouble accessing Simpleshare External Hard Drive i connected my external hard drive directly bypassing my Switch to make sure there is no problem with my Netgear Switch In Windows Xp this external hard drive works fine I tried that since i have two operating systems in my machine My Simpleshare also has an USB option which i havent tried till now becos i need to share this hard drive with two machines directly via a switch I hope connecting through USB will solve the problem becos i suspect my LAN Card a little But then again my internet connection works fine and other drives in the netowork can be accessed without any problem But when it comes to my Simpleshare it just slows down One important thing to note is the browsing of the folders are not that slow but for example if i want to watch a movie or install a software from that drive the explorer does not respond at all Right now i havent installed any Burning or Antivirus Software in Vista Please help as this is causing me real trouble nbsp

A:Trouble accessing Simpleshare External Hard Drive

Even though it appears you're having the same problem, please start a new thread when you have a new issue. It's very difficult to keep two problems straight and who's working on what in a single thread.

I've created a new thread for your issue here.

Thanks for your cooperation.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-accessing-simpleshare-external-hard-drive.579052/
Relevancy 86%

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron with the the new Windows Visa OS. I'm attempting to use my LaCie d2 Hard Drive Extreme (160gb). When i plug it in the computer only partially recognizes it. If I go to "manage" my computer and then storage, the device appears there. it doesn't, however, appear under the My Computer main page (the one with the main internal drive, and the cd/dvd drive...etc.)

Any ideas why the computer isn't allowing me to access the drive? If so, what do i do?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-accessing-external-hard-drive-with-vista-os.672115/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hello I am not sure if this is the right forum to post my issue so please forgive me if I am in the wrong forum but I am so desperate to fix this issue I have t computers with very good size harrdrives What I want to do is to save my work my daily work on a external drive that I bought I bought the Maxtor Backup and OneTouch TB capacity Since it is a usb port I can place it in any pc but the purpose of this was to set it on one which I did and be able to copy my work from both pcs I can see it on the pc that is installed but when I go to other pc I can not What can I do or how can I be able to external accessing drive set it the drive to be abel to save from both pcs please help me thank you There is network on both pcs too nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

I have a Seagate BUP Slimline 1TB external drive, all was working well, but I think I have pulled it out while it was "reading"

External drive shows in device manager and properties says its working properly

Nothing showing in Explorer or My Computer
Nothing showing in Disk Management

I have tried right clicking it within device manager to try and force it to disable/enable or update driver or uninstall and it just hangs indefinitely.

I have downloaded a couple of data recovery programs but they don't see the drive.

I have plugged the external into my sons desktop and it's not seen there either.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? or have I rendered it useless?

Any help would be much appreciated.

A:Help accessing external hard drive

Hi @3billy3!

Since the drive appears in Device Manager you can try to boot with Linux Live CD and see if you can access the data stored on it. In order to do that just follow these steps:

1. Download/burn the ISO image to a CD or USB.
2. Change the boot order to the media you burned the Linux on.
3. Once it loads, you could try and mount the drive (or if Linux can read it, it will mount by itself) and see if it is recognized. In case it is - transfer the data.

Once the information is stored on another location you can run a diagnostic test on the external with the manufacturer tool and see if anything wrong will be detected. In case there is you can RMA it back and get a replacement unit if it's still under warranty.

Hope this helps and let me know how it went. Feel free to upload some screenshots as well so I can take a look.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/398589-help-accessing-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Trying to access a external USB Hard Drive wirelessly. It is wired by USB to a Win XP SP2 Home desktop wired to a Linksys w 54G router. I'm trying to access it wirelessly with a Laptop Win XP SP 2 Home. I can access other files and/or printers on the desktop with no problem. I have checkmarked the correct things in the Shared tab of the drive, and it shows in the folder that opens when I access the desktop from the laptop. The error message is twofold: "You may not have permissions to access this folder" and "Not enough server storage to process this command". Occasionally I also get "The network path is not found".

Relevancy 65.36%

I m having problems getting drive Problem accessing external access to my external HD Drive It was working fine up until my latest Problem accessing external drive anti-virus scan The scan detected a virus in the file F System Volume Information restore F FFC D- - E -FCAC F RP A exe and then deleted the file to prevent further infection I use AVG free edition as my anti-virus On my next reboot I could not get the drive to work anymore It still gets detected the quot Safely Remove Hardware quot icon appears in the system tray and the device appears in the device manager and it s properties window says there is no problems with it However the device is slow to load and I cannot get it to appear in either My Computer or Windows Explorer both windows simply crash if I try to access them with the drive switched on and trying the shortcut to it on my desktop tells me the drive is unavailable Is there any way to fix this problem without losing any data The drive is a Maxtor One Touch GB if that helps any nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-accessing-external-drive.40229/
Relevancy 65.36%

I have an external hard drive that is connected to a laptop. I want to be able to view/access the files on that hard drive w/o physically having to be at the laptop it is connected to. Is my best bet for this to just set the drive as "shared" on my network so I can see the files from any computer connected to the network?
EDIT ---
2 machines are Win 7, 3 are Windows 8, we are behind different domains and connected to different workgroups, which I am sure throws a big wrench into things.

Relevancy 64.93%

hello! i recently got blackscreened on my old dell. it would boot up to the log in screen and allow me to pass but would not load from there. from what i read online, this SATA cable would allow me to access my hard drive on another computer to possibly save some files. when i plug it in to the new computer, it recognizes the drive but when I click on it i get "Access is denied." I tried to go to settings-security-allow user permissions to access. When I did that I could see some file names I recognized flash by on the screen but it still wont allow me access. any help is greatly appreciated!!

A:trouble accessing hard drive via SATA cable

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftechnet.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Flibrary%2Fcc753659.aspx&ei=FyVXU46RFufZ2wXW5YGABg&usg=AFQjCNEjdekykpsYrvL4JcIQn4F0BpgEnQ&sig2=XQw2Q3LkdVaFGZjbynmu_g&bvm=bv.65177938,d.b2I

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-accessing-hard-drive-via-sata-cable.1124636/
Relevancy 64.93%

I took some video with my Sony Handycam and imported it onto my external hard drive with my desktop computer. This desktop uses Vista home premium 64 bit OS.

Now when I connect my external hard drive to an older computer, I can only hear the audio with Windows Media Player but cannot see the video.

Is there something I have to do to my older, Windows XP computer to be able to view this or is that impossible since it was imported with a 64bit pc?

A:Accessing MPEG on external hard drive

Copy it to your hard drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-mpeg-on-external-hard-drive.894373/
Relevancy 64.93%

So I have a 75 gig firewire drive (Ganite FireVue 1394-IDE Bridge LUN0 IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device) that I used for video capturing with Mac computers. I would now like to use it on my PC.

The hardware manager shows that both my Firewire card and my drive are working properly and have updated drivers.

However, I have no idea how to access the drive! I thought it would appear in My Computer like a plug and play device would. But this is not the case.

It shows up in the Disk Management as the following:
"Disk 2: Unknown 71.59 GB Online" and "71.59 GB Unallocated". It has that little minus sign in a red circle on top of the icon. But I never used disk management, nor if I should. There are some files on the drive.

Enough babble! Can you help me get at my drive?

A:Problems accessing external firewire drive

it is formatted for macs you need it formatted for pcs, i think macs can read pc file system but pcs cannot read mac file system so what you do is put your info back on the mac and reformat drive with the pc than move files back to the drive than the pc can read it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-accessing-external-firewire-drive.150482/
Relevancy 64.93%

I just updated my computer to Windows XP which use at least a third of my rather small hard drive. I realize that external hard drives are usually used for storage but I was wondering if there is an application or method to use an external hard drive to hold and launch some of the programs I usually would have installed on my hard drive?

A:Accessing programs from external hard drive

No problem as long as the drivers for the drive are always loaded before the programs from it.
Any program can be installed to a different drive - it is an option on the program install.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-programs-from-external-hard-drive.253201/
Relevancy 64.93%

I am new to this site so forgive me for not searching for my answer before posing the problem A month ago my five year old Dell running ceased Windows XP SP ceased booting I ended up buying a new machine Dell running Windows Since the old if it drive Accessing internal external. hard is as an machine will not boot I have Accessing an internal hard drive as if it is external. connected the old hard drive to the new machine because I need many of the files saved there The problem seems to be entering the hard drive with access as if Accessing an internal hard drive as if it is external. it were the primary source Windows XP login and Accessing an internal hard drive as if it is external. administrator PW The new machine does recognize the drive and all the files however due to quot security restrictions quot I can not even view a photo from the old drive Is there a way I can access the old drive s files Ideally I would like to even to be able to access my email accounts from the old drive so I can transfer files which had been quot saved to this machine quot so I can transfer them to the server and in turn save them to the new machine I am not sure if it is possible but if I were able to create a back door remote access without being able to initiate it from the old computer I think I may be able to get what I need and want - like my iTunes photos etc Any help will be much appreciated thanks nbsp

A:Accessing an internal hard drive as if it is external.

You simply need to take ownership of the files, see here: http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to...sions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-an-internal-hard-drive-as-if-it-is-external.932304/
Relevancy 64.93%

I have a Seagate Free Agent-320 external drive. When I try to access it, it keeps asking me 'to insert a disc'. I believe I need a boot sectore on the drivem but don't know how to install one, if I can't access the drive. What's up

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-a-free-agent-320-external-drive.1084165/
Relevancy 64.93%

I recently had issues with a computer and needed files accessing drive Help with external hard on to get a new one but was able to save the hard drive from the old and use as an external it had everything on it and I didn t back it up Anyway I purchased a Dynex external hard disc case hooked it up to the new computer and it accesses only half of the stuff It apepars that the things on the external that had a password to access it Help with accessing files on external hard drive will now allow to me access My computer is telling me I quot do not have permission to access that file quot How can I gain access to those files that I was able to access on the other computer Its the same hard drive Is there a way to enter the sign-on password info so that I access the quot protected quot stuff They were really only microsoft word documents but thousands of them as well as digital voice files I ve already tried the quot properties Security Owner change ownership quot thing Didn t work Thanks Kate nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-accessing-files-on-external-hard-drive.190805/
Relevancy 64.93%

Ok, I just got a new external hard drive enclosure and a new hard drive to go inside it. I just removed the hard drive to put in a formerly working hard drive that used to be a master hard drive inside my system. I want to access the My Documents folder in the former hard drive and put them on my current hard drive so I can wipe the former hard drive and use it in my system. Does anyone know how I can access this My Documents folder? Every time I go to {Hard drive letter}/Documents and Settings/{User Name}/, it says that access is denied . How do I get around this message. (I already tried going to Properties and remove the "Read Only" check mark. Didn't work.) Could someone please help?

A:Accessing My Documents on External Hard Drive

log in as admin and not as your regular name, most likely the system thinks your a diff. user, see if u can change the filer permissions on the folders

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-my-documents-on-external-hard-drive.542388/
Relevancy 64.93%

western digital GB hard drive inside an external usb enclosure from bytecc com is constantly accessing hard external drive constantly being accessed i can t quot legally quot unplug it from my box with the quot safely unplug hardware quot icon from taskbar gives error quot The Device Generic Volume cannot be stopped because a program is still accessing it quot constantly accessing external hard drive and the access light on the enclosure comfirms that it is being accessed but i dont know why or by what my AVG anti-virus perhaps there doesn t appear to be any loss of data when i just constantly accessing external hard drive unplug without the quot safely unplug hardware quot icon but id like to figure out how to stop this unknown application from constantly accessing my hard drive because i have another external drive from buslink gb usb that unplugs and plugs fine my reason for suspecting AVG anti-virus is that when i plug i in almost immediately an AVGsomethingoranother dat file and a hidden folder with AVg in its name appear on the drive the dat file is onle a couple kbytes XP SP thanks in advance for any help provided nbsp

A:constantly accessing external hard drive

Are any programs installed directly to it rather than just using it for storage? If so any one of them if running can cause a problem. Another test you can do is do an msconfig and pick to bootup with certain things enabled or disabled. this will givey ou a list of the running things and what may be accessing the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/constantly-accessing-external-hard-drive.334359/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hello everyone,
I have a WD passport 1 terrabyte external hard drive. I brought it abroad with me and transfered some files from it to my sister's computer and when I tried plugging it into my computer at home again it gives me the error: "You need to format disk drive G: before you can use it". Also whenever I plug it in it makes my computer so slow that I cannot do anything on it. So I tried downloading Partition Table Doctor and I cannot actually use it because it is so slow that it won't load my external hard drive when I plug it in. My sister's OS is WIndows 7 and I have Vista. Anyway, please help! I will gladly give more information, whatever is needed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-wd-passport-external-hard-drive.1011322/
Relevancy 64.93%

I just installed an external hard drive quot drive connected to and accessing Problem drive USB external new hard powered by a USB port My XP Pro PC recognized it did a search for drivers and gave me a quot your new device has been installed and is ready for use quot message When I look in Device Manager I see it as a quot USB Mass Storage Device quot -- I verified this by unplugging it and plugging it back in the device disappeared and reappeared in Device Manager When I click on it in Device Manager it says quot The Device Is Working Properly quot and that it s Location Location USB to IDE My problem I can t access it When I look under quot My Computer quot I don t see it there all I have is the same drives I had before installing the external hard drive Here s the list C D Note C and D are partitions of the same Master drive on my first IDE controller G which is the Slave on the first IDE controller A floppy E F my DVD drive and DVD-RW Problem accessing new external USB hard drive drive on the second IDE controller Master and Slave Any ideas folks nbsp

A:Problem accessing new external USB hard drive

Right click on My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. Find the drive in the graphic display, you can partition and format it there. After that, it shows up in My Computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-accessing-new-external-usb-hard-drive.312341/
Relevancy 64.93%

I bought a DELL labtop Inspiron over two from external files Accessing hard drive years ago It got XP Home version A couple of weeks ago a cup of coffee was spilled on my laptop I took it to a computer shop They contacted Dell and tried to order the labtop motherboard but to no avail as Dell has discontinued manufacturing this type The warranty is only year So I decided to use it for spare parts What s an expensive cup of coffee Ouch After removing the hard drive Gb from the labtop I made it as an external USB type hard drive It was a perfect solution as at least I can save the data But the fun was a short one as I now experience something to do with file access Connecting the external hard drive to my PC I can see all the files and folders on it The problem is on my Dell Accessing files from external hard drive laptop I have users setup under Document and Setting One of the user logon userA enforces password while the the other userB enfoces no password for logging on I can open files from userB with no problem Accessing files from external hard drive but can not open files or folders from userA It says quot Access denied quot or quot file inaccessible quot Is there a way to overcome this Thank you in anticipation folks nbsp

Relevancy 64.07%

I'm running windows xp and have linux installed on a separate hard drive. The drive doesn't show up in my computer and windows explorer isn't able to let me view the files. The drive shows in disk management, but does not have a letter assigned to it, nor am I able to assign a letter to it. The Linux hard drive has a ext3 partition and a 2gb swap partition on it. I need to access the ext3 partition. Any help is appreciated. Is there anyway to make windows explorer able to view the files on the ext3 partition on the linux drive?

*edit* nevermind, I got it to work using ext2IFS

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-trouble-accessing-my-linux-hard-drive-through-windows-xp.707507/
Relevancy 64.07%

HELP!!!  My external hard drive was damaged in a move and the USB port that attaches to the computer has become detached from the card that has the SimpleSave software on in order to access the data on the hard drive.  I have looked everywhere to find out how I can access this data without it, but no answers.  I need to purchase a new card with the USB port on it but cannot get through to HP Customer Service.  Can anyone help me in order to retrieve my data onto a new external hard drive.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Accessing-HP-SimpleSave-1TB-external-hard-drive-no-USB-port/td-p/5646120
Relevancy 64.07%

I have an external USB hard drive with only a basic DOS OS and lots of documents I archive. When I plug it into a USB port on my computer running Windows xp sp3 it detects the drive, then undetects it, then detects it again, then undetects it, etc. It keeps going back and forth so I never have a chance to access the drive before it disappears again. I've tried different USB cables and ports. How can I get it to be recognized and stay recognized?

A:Windows xp problem accessing external USB hard drive

Hello, and welcome to TSG.

I suggest you check the connections inside the drive's casing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-problem-accessing-external-usb-hard-drive.976471/
Relevancy 64.07%

Okay I have a problem (Clickfree) Problems Accessing Having Hard Drive External with my TB Clickfree C Harddrive When I first got the drive I just plugged it in and I could browse all the files much like a usb stick I ended up installing the software that comes with it and updated it Now it wants to act as a back up device and just back up all my files my problem now is it has changed for some reason to - H CF LINUX and only MB where it used to say H Removable Drive with TB I know this sounds very complicated I'm thinking I can reformat the drive but I would lose all the files I had on the drive which would be bad seeing is how I backed up everything I External Hard Drive (Clickfree) Having Problems Accessing had then deleted off the computer Hense the purpose of a External hard drive If anyone knows what is the problem please help Okay basically I want my drive to be set back to a Removable Drive with TB like i had it before just confused why it is set to CF LINUX only MB FAT and if anyone knows if the files have been deleted

A:External Hard Drive (Clickfree) Having Problems Accessing

Do not initiate or format the drive for any reason unless you can back up all the data on it.

Lesson learned: Do not install the "bloat-ware" that comes with these external drives. W7 can handle all of the functions in this redundant software. And if you were to be unhappy with Windows functionality, there are much better, stand alone programs that you could use instead.
Can you see your data on the drive when looking in Windows Explorer?
With the drive connected, could you post a screenshot of the Disk Management screen here?
Do you recall the software doing a backup during or after you installed it?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/211359-external-hard-drive-clickfree-having-problems-accessing.html
Relevancy 63.21%

A problem has been plaguing me for some time now. I use a Western Digital MyWorld NAS 2Tb drive, set to Raid 1 with 1Tb live and 1Tb mirrored. I have multiple notebooks connected wirelessly to a home network. One notebook is connected via Cat 5 direct to the router. This notebook is the work PC. It also has a corporate cisco VPN client. When accessing the NAS drive with this machine I am able to explore the drive and its content and all directories. However, each time a modification is attempted, such as renaming a file or directory, or moving a directory or file to another location, the PC does a hard dump and crashes. I have spent hours with Western Digital on the phone. We have shut down all services and start up items using msconfig. All to no avail. Please help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-crash-when-accessing-external-storage-drive-files.856395/
Relevancy 63.21%

My apologies if this particular problem has been posted before I used the Search button when 'lags' external Audio accessing hard drive playback and have even tried searching the net but have found nothing that can help me and so I m hoping some of you can My problem is that whenever I transfer files from my external hard drive Maxtor DiamondMax GB to my C drive whilst playing music in any audio Audio playback 'lags' when accessing external hard drive player in any format I believe the playback lags and sometimes even stops until the transfer is complete The external hard drive is farely new I d say about months and has been causing this problem from the start And so I formatted my PC in hopes of solving the problem but it hasn t Any ideas as to how I can stop this Or perhaps point me in the direction to someone who can help I ve put up with this problem for quite a while now but it would be great to finally sort it out I use Windows XP If there are any other details you need let me know and I will get back to you with it Any help will be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

I am having problems accessing a newly installed external hard drive. Keep getting the "windows explorer has encountered a problem" message , after which my computer goes back to my desktop. Everything else seems to run correctly. Please note that I am a noob about these things. Please help. I can move content onto the drive succesfully, it's just opening it without resets or freezes that is causing the problems. thank you in advance.

A:Windows Explorer Problems When Accessing External Hard Drive

Is this a hard drive that you bought pre-configured, or is it a hard drive that you've bought a drive caddy for? If it's pre-configured, then I'd suspect an issue with the hardware of the external drive. If it's your caddy, then I'd suggest checking the jumper settings on the hard drive to ensure that they're correctly set.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/93842/windows-explorer-problems-when-accessing-external-hard-drive/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hello I've been having a problem with my Lacie TB external HDD for some time now I'll just precise that it's a USB disk and has an on off switch I apologize if the post is long but I'm gonna put in everything I can think of The disk worked fine for a few months then at one point it started hard clicking and soon after I external when drive. freezes Windows accessing explorer hard was unable to transfer any data in or out of the disk without causing the transfer to hang after about s I sent it back to Windows explorer freezes when accessing external hard drive. Lacie for repair and Windows explorer freezes when accessing external hard drive. long story short after they quot lost quot my disk they sent me a brand new one but apparently the repair centre wasn't informed so I received my old disk too repaired So I now have similar HDDs My problem is - at first when I tried to run the format tool preloaded on Windows explorer freezes when accessing external hard drive. the disk to format the disk before use it hanged and the progress bar didn't move The only way to close the window was to shut down the disk That happened on both disks and they were then listed as RAW in disk manager - I tried to format or delete the volume using window's built in tool but when I select my format options and click ok it just gets back to the disk manager with the hourglass mouse pointer as if it's doing something although there is no progress bar or anything It just stays there for hours although it should be super fast as the disk is empty I tried different softwares like partition magic but they just hang on quot detecting devices quot as soon as I turn the disk on Same thing for disk manager if I open it after having turned on the disk it just hangs on quot connecting to virtual service quot Again same with both disks - I then tried to format the disks using my dad's xp laptop and the software Partition Wizard and it formated both disks into NTFS in seconds That leads me to believe that the fault comes from my laptop I partitioned one of the disks with GB of FAT and the rest in NTFS to see if it would change anything on my laptop - For both disks and both NTFS and FAT when I try accessing them from quot Computer quot I sometimes can get in the disk folder but when I try to copy a file in it the tranfer bar just stalls on quot transferring file quot without even starting the transfer If I try clicking somewhere the transfer windows blanks out and freezes followed by the quot Computer quot window then windows explorer itself If I turn off the disk then everything returns back to normal Sometimes just trying to access the disk folder freezes everything and that can affect wmp or any other program open they just freeze until the disk is turned off This happens every time Not finished - At one point it kinda started working if I had the little software Lacie USB Boost activated which is supposed to boost your transfer speed Here's a copy of what I sent Lacie I spent months with the support team and I'm not closer to resolving that They replied to this post by saying that there is no known issue with the usb boost quot If the USB Boost is activated I can now transfer files to the disk however I get the exact same error message xd as the one I described in my very first post if I try to transfer large files to the disk although it did that for a Mb file This problem is the same as the one experienced by this person BSOD when transfering Large files to external HD He has the same disk as me and it was suggested that he uninstalled the USB boost or changed the extension of the FNETURPX sys to make it unusable I did that which brings me to the nd problem If I do disable the USB Boost I revert back to the message saying that the file is no longer in its folder and I can't create a new folder on the disk either I have tried to reenable the usb boost and transferring works again but for large files I get the stop error message again quot I have now uninstalle... Read more

A:Windows explorer freezes when accessing external hard drive.

Hi welcome back wolvo7,
Sorry to hear of your problems.
If you have sent the repot of BSoD using this method it is OK:_
Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions
If not please download this & upload report with next post.
I will inform a member of the forum BSoD experts, who when available will comment on your thread.
Meanwhile I ask you to be patient.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/289330-windows-explorer-freezes-when-accessing-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi all,
I recently bought a WD My Book Essential Edition external hard drive and wanted to change it from FAT32 to NTFS. I was following instructions given on WDs website, however the directions weren't entirely clear (of course only noticed after the fact). I right clicked on My Computer, clicked manage and used Disk Manager. The instructions said to find the drive, right click on it and click delete partition. It didn't mention however, to do that with bottom part of the screen and not the top. So, I think I just deleted the logical drive.

It shows up on the device manager and the "Safely Remove Hardware" window, but the drive letter no longer shows up under My Computer.

Is there a way to fix this? Or did I just buy a $120 paper weight?

Thanks,

PaveFE

A:Solved: External Hard Drive - Deleting partition, but accidently deleted logical drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-drive-deleting-partition-but-accidently-deleted-logical-drive.585272/
Relevancy 61.49%

A friend of mine gave me his external hard drive with the hopes that I might be able to fix it.

It's a new external Western Digital that is 2TB in size and he purchased it within the last 2 or 3 months. I don't know what he did, but it wouldn't surprise me if he pulled the USB cord without properly unmounting the drive and something with his filesystem became corrupted. I don't know how to repair this.

The drive will show you a drive letter when you attach it to Windows, and using a partition manager (in Linux) shows the drive to contain an "unknown" partition type. In Windows, running "chkdsk e: /x /r" returns an error that says "chkdsk is not available for RAW drives".

Anyone know of a reliable (and preferably free) utility that might be able to repair this kind of problem quickly?

A:External hard drive NTFS partition missing; chkdsk says it's a "RAW" partition now

Is this a data recovery operation? Should be able to just format again if not.

Otherwise testdisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) might be useful to recover the partition info.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-ntfs-partition-missing-chkdsk-says-its-a-raw-partition-now.868198/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi everyone I have a Dell Dimension E running Windows XP SP The external installing found drive: 556s, Trouble not DVD drive DVD HP internal dvd drive does not work - Trouble installing external DVD drive: HP DVD 556s, drive not found was last replaced in shortly after buying the computer Its issue is we put in a CD and nothing happens So I just bought an external dvd drive the HP dvd s so that I Trouble installing external DVD drive: HP DVD 556s, drive not found can play a game I hooked up the drive - the power indicator is blue which means it s drawing sufficient power from the USB port to run - and then popped in the installation CD Installation did not autorun so I went to My Computer The drive is not showing My Computer shows removable drives F-J and when I click on all of them it says quot please insert a disk into the drive quot I m not sure what each of these drives is for - it s not my computer - but they all are still present even when the DVD drive is unplugged so they can t be that The USB port works - I plugged in a wireless mouse and a webcam both of which work into the drive and they still worked The dvd drive says it is pulling sufficient power - the blue light is on which the manual says is good to go When I pop in the install cd it seems to spin briefly hard to tell it is a quiet drive but nothing pops up on screen I tried my game CD as well and of course nothing happened Now when I plugged in the wireless mouse to that same port My Computer showed it up as drive L Once I removed it drive L disappeared I m not quite sure what this means only that the new DVD drive does not seem to be recognized by the computer I plugged it into other working ports and nada I took the drive to Best Buy and they plugged it in and it worked for them They let me swap it for an identical drive anyway but the new drive STILL is not recognized How can I get the computer to recognize the drive so I can install the software Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-installing-external-dvd-drive-hp-dvd-556s-drive-not-found.889663/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi Experts I have a problem installing XP Pro SP on a partition on my drive to get triple boot with w and ubuntu Trouble on Pro partition drive installing XP My drive has four partitions https skydrive live com redir resi B AA https skydrive live com Trouble installing XP Pro on drive partition redir resi B AA I am trying to install on the Gb partition It is currently set to logical drive type I am using an IDE DVD Drive with an adapter to Sata as I dont have a sata dvdrom drive I have storage configured as sata and the onboard jmicron controller cofigured to Sata The installer cd contains sata drivers When I get to the choice of drives in the installer menu I go to choose the GB partition drive D in the menu but it comes back with an error message saying there s not enough room on C It wont let me choose D drive to install https skydrive live com redir resi B AA https skydrive live com redir resi B AA I had previously managed to get the st stage of the xp complete on that partition but then when I came to boot it again from the there was no menu item for xp in the windows boot manager menu So I used BCD to point to that partition and made an entry but it returned a message of a hardware or other error and could boot So I formatted it and tried to install again and now Im having this new problem of not being able to select the partition One thing Im not sure of is whether I have to write the MBR again in the BCD deployment menu or do I just need to add the XP boot menu item and save Any help with this really appreciated Ive been stuck on it for days Thanks Gigbayte western digital drive sabertooth x core i Installed operating systems w ultimate bit ubuntu in the Gig partition Easy BCD boot manager nbsp

A:Trouble installing XP Pro on drive partition

Windows will only install to a primary partition.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-installing-xp-pro-on-drive-partition.1072503/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello everyone Let me first start with explaining that I'm new to the forum and to some of the more in depth setup processes I am currently trying to re-partition my hard drive in order to setup a dual boot I have just installed windows on the computer not carrying over of bad Re-partition trouble sign drive? anything from the old OS When I open computer management it states that of the total MB's of the single existing partition only MB's is available Re-partition trouble sign of bad drive? to be Re-partition trouble sign of bad drive? shrunk by This is an insufficient amount for the second partition I require for the dual boot Additionally when I take a different approach and try to re partition from with in the OS that I am trying to dual boot with it gives me a warning that the program gparted detected that the disk has at least bad sectors when I unmount it So my questions are Is this a sign that my hard disk is on its way out Is there a way to fix this Its there another way to properly partition the disk I scoured the internet looking for an answer to this but found none If I missed something and there is another thread like this I apologize

A:Re-partition trouble sign of bad drive?

Hello cbliss, welcome to Seven Forums!

If you're getting sector errors it may be best left alone. Have a look at this link below for more info.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/244864-re-partition-trouble-sign-bad-drive.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi Experts I have a problem installing XP Pro SP on a partition on my drive to get triple boot with w and ubuntu My drive has four partitions https skydrive live com redir resi B AA https skydrive live com redir resi B AA I am trying to install on the Gb partition It is currently set to logical drive type I am using an IDE DVD Drive with an adapter to Sata as I dont have a sata dvdrom drive I have storage configured as sata and the onboard jmicron controller cofigured to Sata The installer cd contains sata drivers When I get to the choice Trouble partition installing XP Pro on drive of drives in the installer menu I go to choose the GB partition drive D in the menu but it comes back with an error message saying there's not enough room on C It wont let me choose D drive to install https skydrive live com redir resi B AA https skydrive live com redir resi B AA I had previously managed to get the st stage Trouble installing XP Pro on drive partition of the xp complete on that partition but then when I came to boot Trouble installing XP Pro on drive partition it again from the there was no menu item for xp in the windows boot manager menu So I used BCD to point to that partition and made an entry but it returned a message of a 'hardware or other error' and could boot So I formatted it and tried to install again and now Im having this new problem of not being able to select the partition One thing Im not sure of is whether I have to 'write the MBR' again in the BCD 'deployment' menu or do I just need to add the XP boot menu item and save Any help with this really appreciated Ive been stuck on it for days Thanks Gigbayte western digital drive sabertooth x core i Installed operating systems w ultimate bit ubuntu in the Gig partition Easy BCD boot manager

A:Trouble installing XP Pro on drive partition

You can install XP to a Logical Partition but you need to have the Boot file on a Primary partition. Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/trouble-installing-xp-pro-on-drive-partition-670328.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hey I have recently bought a external USB IDE trouble to drive for usb to ide adapter to connect an USB to IDE for external drive trouble old hard drive to my cmoputer for back ups etc Everywhere i have looked on the internet it says that there USB to IDE for external drive trouble are no drivers need for this piece of kit Problem is when i attach the drive to my computer windows picks it up and a bubble comes up that says found new hardware disk drive etc etc and i get that little sounds that says something has been connected The drive does not come up in My Computer but does in Device manager In device manager it comes up as a quot USB mass storage device quot Next problem after about seconds i get that little sound meaning something has been disconnected from the computer and the drive dissapears from device manager and does not come back I have searched the internet and these forums to no avail The only thing i found was that maybe it was something to do with XP service pack two I have all the latest updates for windows XP home edition Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated Cheers Rob nbsp

A:USB to IDE for external drive trouble

Stay away from no-name cheap ones. Vantec is a good brand, for example.

No, you don't need a driver. XP has it. Just plug it in and XP either auto installs driver or asks you, just leave it as default, press Enter. In order to use the drive, you need to format it. The best way would be format it when connected to IDE in PC BEFORE moving out. My friend does it this way. No prob so far.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-to-ide-for-external-drive-trouble.22873/
Relevancy 59.77%

ive a maxtor 300 gig hd as a secondary drive for data and the partition became corrupted, i tried making another partition to move the data to but created a 10 gig fat partition on xp instead of ntfs and i cant find the partition in chkdsk and was wonderin if anyone had any ideas? thanks John

Relevancy 59.34%

I bought an external 120 gb hard disk. I would like to partition it into 6 partition.

Is this possible?

If yes, what software do you recommend? Any freeware options?

Thanks,

Tom

A:Partition external hard drive

should be doable using the XP disk mgr -- did you try it?

btw: 120/6 parts = (6x) 20gb partitions; why so small?

Also consider: An external HD can be used by other systems,
even Mac and Linux *IF* you plan ahead now -- format as FAT32

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/partition-external-hard-drive.87549/
Relevancy 59.34%

I have been using a Western Digital external drive with their SmartWare program and haven't been very impressed. Therefore, I uninstalled the SmartWare program from my mac and then used Disk Utilities to partition the drive. Initially it seemed to be successful. Two separate volumes appeared and I was able to use Time Machine to do a full back up of my mac to one of the volumes. However, when I connected the WD drive to my mac today, all I saw was a single volume named WD SmartWare (with some SmartWare files -no personal files at all) and it appears that what I did before was completed gone. How can I delete/uninstall/eliminate the SmartWare from the external drive and partition the drive? Thanks!

A:Partition WD external drive didn't take

You should be able to access the HDD using WD tools. At which point delete ALL partitions, then create the new partitions and format.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partition-wd-external-drive-didnt-take.1015896/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello,
I connected my existing external HDD (@USB2.0) to a new PC with Win 8.1. From the beginning all partitions mounted properly and were accessible as expected but later suddenly the first partition was not accessible due to insufficiant access rights. All other partitions keep being accessible except this one. I wonder how this could happen, especially when it's a FAT32 format partition (no eser-level security support) The exact errors I'm receiving are these:

Currently you don't have permissions to access this folder.
For obtaining permanent access to this folder,click on the option Continue.

If I click Continue I get this warning:

Permission to access this folder was denied.
For obtaining access to this folder, you'll have to use security tab.

If I click the Security tab link, I get properties dialog for that partition opened, however no Security tab is available (oviously, this is a FAT32 volume)

I would appreciate an soulution how to reenable access to this drive.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/36004-external-drive-partition-noc-accessible.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I have an Iomega edternal 1tb drive attached to my laptop.NOW WINDOWS 7 does not show the main partition. It does show the second partition on which there is ther w7 backup. All partitions appesar under Vista ultimate on the same machine. How can I get windows7 to show the missing poartition?
Any help wouyld be appreciated.
DJJ

A:non recognition of external drive partition

Quote: Originally Posted by jenkinsdjj

I have an Iomega edternal 1tb drive attached to my laptop.NOW WINDOWS 7 does not show the main partition. It does show the second partition on which there is ther w7 backup. All partitions appesar under Vista ultimate on the same machine. How can I get windows7 to show the missing poartition?
Any help wouyld be appreciated.
DJJ

I take it you mean it doesn't show in Explorer?

When you go to diskmanagement, do you see it there?

Probably it doesn't have a driveletter under Win7, so you'll have to add it.

If you don't know how, post back.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/19162-non-recognition-external-drive-partition.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I ll run through what I ve done and where I m at I had an external USB drive setup with partitions I wanted to delete the first partition and then expand the second one to take up the new space I used Partition Wizard to do this It rebooted and said it had successfully completed Upon reboot Windows s Disk Management plugin reported the entire drive as quot raw unformatted quot Clearly something had gone wrong I tried to revive the partitions with partition wizard but it would not allow any recovery I ran testdisk and it quot successfully quot rebuilt the partition table Now disks showed up correctly Disks and showed up as unformated raw Partition Wizard tech support offered me a free data recovery software that they make I installed it it detected my missing file tree immediately and went about restoring it non destructively and to a new drive It appeared to work and hours later I felt I had my data back Before I reformated the external drive however I tried to verify that partition USB on Lost external drive.... the recovered data was good It was all corrupt It was all the correct file sizes Lost partition on external USB drive.... and attributes but none of it was readable I experienced the same problem with GetDataBackNTFS Any advice of where I go from here I m currently running a full-scan Lost partition on external USB drive.... with GetDataBackNTFS and hope this will correct the file offsets which I have a hunch is what s wrong nbsp

A:Lost partition on external USB drive....

I would remove the drive from the enclosure and install as a secondary drive in another PC, then try partition repair or recovery software.

USB controllers do not always work well with partition software or recovery software.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-partition-on-external-usb-drive.872166/
Relevancy 59.34%

This may be a stupid question, but when I try to connect my new external hard drive (that will be used for backup and file storage), how do I partition it? I have decided that I need to, but am not sure how to go about it. I do not have Partition Magic, but do run WindowsXP. I want to make sure I partition it before I start putting anything on it. Thanks for your help!

A:What do I need to partition new external hard drive?

Check the manufacturers website. They should have a program you can use to do it (usually automatically). I would check to be sure it is the one you need. Not sure if you need a special program for an external.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-do-i-need-to-partition-new-external-hard-drive.210136/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello, so... the question is this:

Can I make a partition of my laptops' HDD work as an external drive.
So that when I connect a USB cable to my laptop, then connect the other end of the USB cable to another PC/laptop this other PC/laptop than thinks that an external HDD is connected to it...

I'm assuming I would need some sort of software to specify which partition I want to be recognized as the external HDD and then possibly specify which USB port to use...?

Or not necessarily a partition, just any specific folder would work as well...

So... help... please... So far I haven't found any answers googling.

A:Make HDD partition as a USB external drive

Not clear on your problem;

When I connect a USB tumbdrive to my Laptop it shows up as a regular Mapped Drive.

In fact, when I take it elsewhere, that happens also.

It is not related to the HDD on the laptop at all (is that what you're after; making the USB actually mirror datafrom your HDD?)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/make-hdd-partition-as-a-usb-external-drive.176597/
Relevancy 59.34%

hi, can i partition my external hard drive? thank you

A:partition external hard drive

Yes... I think it already is. What do you want to accomplish?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/244340-partition-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Howdy. I have a Mac Mini with an internal hard drive partitioned with Bootcamp for a Mac side and an XP side. It is so full I can't run the SP3 upgrade (lots of photos). I need to add an external HD to store the photos - like in the 1TB range - and although I will use it almost entirely with XP Pro, I do want a small part of it for the mac stuff. It'd be a USB 2.0hookup.
I think I can just do this with Bootcamp, but the WinXP side is more important to me, so I'd like the opinion of you WinXP guys first. Any suggestions?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/external-hard-drive-partition-339406.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I have one external hard which has 3 patitions for long time and it was working with no problem till I fill up one of the partition. Now when I connect to my PCs (2000 and XP) using USB it just shows me 2 partition and does not load 3rd partition. Device Manager also shows all 3 partition and says all are helth, but not able to explore. How to access the 3rd partition? Please help I have lot of data on that partition which I don't want to loose.

A:One partition on external drive not loading

Someone please suggest something.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/one-partition-on-external-drive-not-loading.329361/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello,

I have windows 7 home premium 32 bit. I got a new WD Elements 2.5 TB external hard drive. The laptop detected it perfectly and it showed about ~2.25 TB space. The problem came when I tried to partition it into two partition, one 1.75 TB and other ~500 GB. I tried windows 7 data management. When I shrunk the volume to make first 1.7 TB partition it made it correctly but it created two ~250 GB un-allocated partitions. Then I created one partition from first un-allocated space and tried to extend it but it is not giving me an option to extend it. Also it is not allowing me to create another partition from remaining ~250 GB partition.

I tried EASEUS partition manager but it shows whole external hard drive as unsupported.

Can anyone help me with it please?

Regards,
Alex

A:2.5 TB External Hard Drive Partition

paragon software's partition manager is the only one I know of that handles usb externals properly.
Paragon Software: Download free partition software for home

...it's not a free one though.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/173394-2-5-tb-external-hard-drive-partition.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I am new to the forum I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my question but hoping someone here can direct me or might know I purchased a TB Drive? a How 1TB to Hard external Partition hard drive to place media files on it so that I could plug it into my DVD How to Partition a 1TB external Hard Drive? player which has a USB port I made sure to format the hard drive to Fat What I can surmise is that the TB hard drive is too big for the DVD player to read I plug it in and it says Device Not Supported But I've successfully plugged in an external card reader and used a GB SD card to place files on and it reads them fine So I'm thinking it's the size of the drive that is the issue Someone who is more computer savvy told me I might have to partition the hard drive into two partitions One partition gb and then the other partition with whatever is left They did say they were not sure if there was a way to set it up so the gb Partition is what is recognized first when plugged into the DVD player This way I would transfer movies I want to watch to the GB partition and transfer them over Now when I search hard disk partitions in Windows the manager comes up and I can see the hard drive but I can not change the size to partition it It's grayed out Is there a freeware program that works with Windows that will split the hard drive into two partitions in sizes I specify and make sure that the GB partition is the first one loaded or seen And if I set it up that way when I plug it into my computer will the computer see both partitions Thanks so much Melissa

A:How to Partition a 1TB external Hard Drive?

The easiest program to use for partitioning is MiniTool Partition Wizard Free:
Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

As long as drive letters are assigned to both partitions, when plugged into the computer you will have access to both partitions.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/42285-how-partition-1tb-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I just bought a maxtor 320g HD, can I partition it in two halves to share with someone else? Also, is there a software I could use to automatically back up my entire drive without compressing any file? thankx

A:Can I Partition A External Hard Drive

Yes, you can. Use Windows Disc Management. To make a copy of your main drive read this article, missing out the steps on deleting files.
If you are unsure about any steps, post back. Let us know how you get on.
Regards,
Pilot.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/can-i-partition-a-external-hard-drive-142185.html
Relevancy 59.34%

My former internal hard drive has quit so I have lost all my programs. I purchased an external hard drive with USB 2.0 hook up and it is my only hard drive. I'm trying to install everything back on my computer just like it was from factory. I am installing this hard drive with no instructions because the instructions included are to run through windows and windows ain't there because the computer won't recognize the drive. Now, I have no clue how to install the drive. What do I do to get my system to recognize the external drive so that I can get my computer back to normal? Do I need to send back the drive and get an internal instead? Or can I switch the stuff around in the bios to get it enabled? Or, should I load the gun and just end it all now? Hope you can help.

Relevancy 59.34%

i have just reinstalled windows 7 home premium 64 bit

now one of my external hard drives doesn,t work.

when i click start and click my computer it shows me the drives.

c is the internal drive j is one of my external drives and is working, but drive e is the one i cannot get to work.

the others have a bar next to them showing how much space is used and left.

all drive e shows is the letter.

in device manager the drives are working and have upto date drivers.

the drive worked fine before i reinstalled , ( which i did to clear all the crap off my pc )
it has some documents i want .

can anyone help with this problem.

thanks

A:trouble with external hard drive

Can you run diskmgmt.msc from the Run prompt in your Start menu and post a screenshot?
Sounds like your E: drive is working OK but no filesystem is recognized on it. Do you remember what you had formatted the drive as? I assume NTFS?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/189111-trouble-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I'm having trouble with an external hard drive I bought A few months ago. I tipped over the usb cord and the external fell off my desk. Now it wont connect to my computer. When I try to place the usb in the HDD the usb connector moves back and the cable wont go in.

Here is the same one i have:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Seagate-200GB-External-USB-2-0-Hard-Drive-For-PCs-MAC_W0QQitemZ350105594190QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item350105594190&_trkparms=72%3A1208|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The brand of this drive is Cosmos
S/N:0500034756

Here are some pictures of my external drive:

How can I repair the usb connector?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-with-external-hard-drive.756508/
Relevancy 59.34%

My External hard drive is a Maxtor (now seagate) with a capacity of 1TB. Has 300GB of my information i.e my life!!!

Since a couple of days I have been trying to get it to work. I connect the HD to the laptop, it lights up, makes the normal noises, but doesnt autoplay. I go into the my computer and click on the HD but it comes back with - F:/ Application not found - !!!!

Is it my pc at fault?? I use Vista on my Hp laptop!

Or is that the software for the HD at fault!

The icon does show: 600GB left of 900GB for the HD so i am guessing that the information is still intact!!!
Please help. . . !! I cant stress how valuable the info is on this HD.

A:External hard drive in trouble

someone once told me, and no i tell others that the 1TB drives are very unreliable and shouldnt be used for storing anything of value...

Time after time ive heard from friends and collegues who have come across this and feel sorry, after all companies make them as nothing more than a selling point, when in fact you could buy 2 lots of 500gb drives and be a lot safer.

Its sad to say but your data has to all intents gone west...and may not be recoverable, that said, you could direct mount the drive into a tower pc and use a good quality file restorer to try and get them back..

if you do, dont use a 1 TB drive again will you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-in-trouble.149792/
Relevancy 59.34%

i got a rock mobile disk external hardrive so i can put my movies on there and play them all on my xbox (im using a mac). all of my movies went on there no problem, but when i plug into my xbox it doesnt come up under portable devices... someone please guide me on what to do to make this work- thanks, tony

Relevancy 59.34%

I really screwed something up External Maxtor Trouble With Drive I've been trying to transfer files from my PC to my Mac using my Maxtor The Max worked fine with the PC for months I was able to transfer over some files Then when I thought I was done transferring I tried to install the Max onto my Mac This didn't work at all I tried to hook the Max back up to the PC and it didn't recognize the drive Well it saw the drive and said it worked fine but it wouldn't write to it -- apparently because it was Mac-formatted I refomatted it moved some files onto it and then hooked it into the Mac Then the Mac couldn't read it When I moved it back to teh PC the PC can't read it Now when I run disc manager Trouble With Maxtor External Drive the Max does not appear in the top panel It appears in the lower panel with no letter assigned to it and it is quot unallocated quot If I check properties PC says the Max is working But it wont let me reformat it That option is gone Any thoughts

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/trouble-with-maxtor-external-drive-139341.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I own an iomega Tb external hard drive connected by USB Recently the drive suffered a small fall and hasn t worked properly When powered on the drive speeds up properly sounding like it did before the fall so I had some hope that it was working properly Unfortunately when I connected it to my laptop it didn t show up on the list of drives on My Computer I connected it to a desktop that had never connected to it before and it installed the drivers correctly but again did not show up under My Computer When I opened Drive Management I saw the drive listed but it said it was Not Initialized I can initialize it but I m afraid that it might make the data on the drive unrecoverable I really need the data inside and can t afford to lose it Is it possible to initialize the drive without losing the data on it As well is there a way to External Hard Drive Trouble extract the data on the drive and back it up to a computer without initializing it Any help at all would be much appreciated nbsp

A:External Hard Drive Trouble

Try Test Disk.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-trouble.986157/
Relevancy 59.34%

So recently had my old Windows 7 desktop crash on me. Got a new Windows 8 desktop and since then have gotten an external enclosure to try and scrap the files off of the old hard drive, but when trying to connect the Drive into the new computer I get this issue >> 406da2a65a966887ab9d90c8eaf63677.png >> cfe542bf267bd7d2e3d07b5d317c97f4.png I have tried many troubleshooting options and everytime I try to change permission I just get this error message. a66c2f145769b4fdc1c99b4efc8356a4.png >> b95f4478b90c4265e3eba041043caf3a.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Trouble getting permission into my External Drive

Update::: Was finally able to get into the drive, now the issue is getting permission for the folders >> 7fa9d7aa7d9a9bba85d8202306cc5809.png

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/29985-trouble-getting-permission-into-my-external-drive.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I want to buy an external dvd/cd rw drive as my Asus laptop does not have one.
Is there a wifi version?
Will I have problems running it on Windows 10.
I am not very tech savvy, so please bear with me.
Mabby

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/51136-there-wifi-external-dvd-cd-rw-drive-any-trouble-run-w10.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I have a Seagate FreeAgent 500GB USB external hard drive. The trouble is, a friend gave me the hard drive to get some video files off of it, I plug it into my computer, I partitioned it and it shows up in my computer, but when I try to open it, it tells me I have to format it before I can use it...

This is bad because I NEED the files on the hard drive, so is there any way that I can open this hard drive WITHOUT formatting it??

And I think the person that used it before me used it on a mac, I know that is probably the problem, but if there is anyway I can get the video files off the hard drive with out reformatting it before I open that would be great.

A:External hard drive trouble HELP!

I have the same problem with my laptop drive it was in an asus and has Vista Ultimate 64 bit installed, I can access the partition just fine but when I try to access the main drive it asks me to reformat. I made a thread of my own before seeing this one, we have very similar issues..

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-hard-drive-trouble-help-324952.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Same problem discussed in following thread, though CHKDSK did not fix problem. All I know is my Maxtor One Touch II stopped being read after a Windows update. Same notice described in thread.

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/586995-solved-external-hard-drive-trouble.html

I realize this is a really old thread, but it certainly sounds like the same kind of problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-disk-drive-trouble.623158/
Relevancy 59.34%

Having a very minor issue with my external CD drive. I was hoping that someone could help me. I am able to write to the CD drive (external) through the software that was provided with the drive (Nero Smartstart essentials)

I was wondering if there is a way to use the windows cd writer instead? would like to just be able to right click on a file and send to drive e: .

can you help me with this?

Thanks
Sharples

A:Solved: A little trouble with my external CD drive

never mind I got it figured out on my own. Google is a great thing!!!

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-a-little-trouble-with-my-external-cd-drive.848173/
Relevancy 58.91%

I already know the simple answer get a drive cloning program but I don t want to clone my C drive I want to start new with my new hard drive so I have an Acer notebook with a drive Puzzle Partition external C: - on new Chinese a painfully slow rpm gb drive I just bought a nice email protected along with an external case so I could partition the new drive before Chinese Puzzle - Partition a new C: drive on external putting it in and using the restore cd s that came from Acer OK Chinese Puzzle - Partition a new C: drive on external the problem is when I partitioned the drive as an external I couldn t name one of the new partitions C because you can only have one C drive at a time It s like the whole existential dilemna of consciousness and presence - how can we observe any situation without effecting it - we can never be the pure witness because our consciousness is having an effect on what we see we are are a part of the situation we are observing Well maybe it s not exactly like that but it made me think of it I named my new partitions O P Q and R then I installed the new hard drive into my laptop ran my recover cd and it seemed like it was fine and it seemed like it was re-naming my primary drive from O to C but after installing the final cd when the computer tried to start up the error message read cannot find operating system and obviously that s because O ain t gonna fly So it s a real brain twister for me - how can I create the partitions I want before installing the operating system using Acer s recovery discs which don t seem to provide partitioning as an option during installation I can call them tommorrow but I wanted to see what you all had to say Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 58.91%

HI I think I have just lost my livelyhood I keep all my software backups and photographs I am a photographer backed up on a gig external hard drive external on Partition error magic drive USB Having got a virus I decided I would reformat my laptops hard drive re-install everything and then use ghost to backup everything to Partition magic error on external drive the external drive The drive is split into three partitions but there was not enough space on one partition for the backup so I thought I would use partition magic to re-jig the space Halfway through changing the size of the partitions the computer froze and had to be re-set Now the computer does not recognize the drives - if you go into partition magic it just sees the drive as one entity - eg unformated How do I get this data back Is there a way of re-instating the partitions without loosing the Partition magic error on external drive data If not I have lost over three years worth of photographs which have not been backed up Any suggestions Thanks nbsp

A:Partition magic error on external drive

I'm presuming you ignored the warning that PM displays telling you to backup before doing any partition modifications...

You are probably stuck with trying to recover some of the stuff with data recovery software at this point.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partition-magic-error-on-external-drive.501739/
Relevancy 58.91%

So I want to partition my 1.5 tera hard drive so I can get it to work on both my PC and PS3. What I want to do is to partition 50 gigs of it so I can format that with FAT32 so i can install programs onto it. The rest I want to be normal so can you tell me what to do I can get to disk managment fine its that i don't know what to do after that. any help is apreciated and thank you very much.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/b-u-partition-external-hard-drive-on-vista-u-b-376966.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I have a 1 TB hard drive that is being used a lot. The format is NTFS or FATS, (sorry if those are not spelt correctly) windows hard drive. Anyways - there is like 400 gig spare. Can I simply go in and use gparted or something similiar and make a partition for a linux backup (which is ext4)

(I know this is a windows forum but u guys are the best! You are all v informed)

So basically from your experience if I do this is there a strong chance that the data on the drive will be hosed if I introduce a linux partition?

Thanks a lot

A:Can I create a partition in a (used) external hard drive?

Yes indeed. If you don't have an internal hard drive portable case, just power off your computer, hold the power button in for a minute to discharge all electricity, open the case, plug the older hard drive into the IDE or SATA cable for a secondary hard drive, (keep the case open to watch all fans), plug in the power cable, press the power button. The system will see the old hard drive and assign it a driver and may want to reboot; that's OK. Now after reboot, go to Windows Manager (Right click computer, choose Manage). Choose Disk Management, point at the older hard drive, right click your mouse and choose Format. When prompted, choose NTFS and format the entire disk. When it's done.....voila! You now have a second internal hard drive that you can use for backing up an Image of your C: Drive (Highly Recommended) and for storing all kinds of files like music, videos etc. rather than keeping them on the C: Drive and filling it up. (see image)

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/125962-can-i-create-partition-used-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi everyone I've just read an article which explains how to back up my system to an external hard drive Backup Restore in drive Hard External need do Backing to - up i to partition? Windows External Hard Drive Computer Insurance I have a TB external with files alread on it I was just wondering do i need to partition the hard drive or can i just create a folder Also just to check If i complete this back up onto my external and then create the system repair disc will I be able to completely reinstall windows and drivers I recently tried to create a dual boot with windows and ubuntu on two seperate hard drives It worked but I had to have the Backing up to External Hard drive - do i need to partition? unbuntu hard drive plugged in to be able to boot the windows drive windows wouldnt boot at all without the unbuntu hard drive plugged in I worried that if the ubuntu Backing up to External Hard drive - do i need to partition? drive died its quite old then I would never be able to get back into windows So I now have a fresh instalation of windows Professional that work put on my machine However I want to try and create and dual boot again but if I mess it up this time i'd like to be able to sort it out myself Would doing this back up and disc enable me to do so Thanks Soph

A:Backing up to External Hard drive - do i need to partition?

I will assume you are talking about Windows imaging as opposed to file/folder backup.
In one partition root Windows will recognize an image folder called WindowsImageBackup. If you create another partition you could have another WindowsImageBackup. Alternatively, you can rename or move (within a partition) WindowsImageBackup to a different folder. As long as what you move and/or rename to WindowsImageBackup in a partition root, a Windows system repair disk boot should recognze it. See these tutorials
Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
System Image Recovery
Many people prefer this third party imaging program which is more flexible
Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download
I use both.

A system image restore will restore everything you need. It is a snapshot of when you made it. You can even restore it to a new HDD if your current one fails.

Re Ubuntu dual boot it sounds like you are booting Windows through the Ubuntu HDD = bad idea.
Post a full Disk Management Screenshot
Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/244089-backing-up-external-hard-drive-do-i-need-partition.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello, I have a problem resizing NTFS partitions on my external hard drive. First I tried to shrink one of the partitions using the Disk Manager utility in Windows 7 (I thought that I can resize the other one to the unallocated space using the 'expand' functionality), and later also tried EASEUS Partition Master. Both seem to have trouble with the first step, which is reduction of the space on the first partition (700 GB -> 250 GB), as both programs simply get stuck. (I let it run for 4 hours before giving up). I also tried runnig checkdisk to see if some sectors of the partition are not damaged, but it didn't help. I would really appreciate any hint as to how to solve this problem, or a recommendation about which alternative software to try. Thank you.

A:Resizing a partition on an external hard drive

I use Partition Wizard
Free Download Partition Wizard

Can you post a screenshot of your disk management?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/60104-resizing-partition-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 58.91%

i am helping a friend partition an external WD 500GB drive...i've never partitioned an external, usb drive before...so i need some help..

the drive is FAT32 formatted..he'd like to make it 2 - 250GB NTFS partitions...so, if he goes into Computer Mgt does he first Delete Volume, then set up the partitions in the unallocated space, creating 2 partitions?

any guidance is appreciated....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-partition-on-vista.666382/
Relevancy 58.91%

I have a new WD Essential 1TB external hard drive. I intend to use the drive for photos and backing up my C drive. First, I need to reformat the drive to NTFS. Should I also partition the drive? The procedure for partitioning seems simple enough, but I don't really understand the pros and cons (if any) of partitioning. Any recommendations? Number of partitions? Sizes? Thanks.

A:Solved: External Hard Drive - Should I Partition?

For the most part, unless you have an organizational need or desire for partitioning, one big partition is fine. I did have one situation where I had to partition a 1.5 TB drive into 500 GB each but that was because the networked media player I use could only see partitions of 500 GB or less.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-drive-should-i-partition.851991/
Relevancy 58.91%

I recently purchased a 3TB external hard drive. While using the disk management tool in Windows I created unallocated space intended to be used for a partition. The system wouldn't allow me to create the partition continually showing an error message that MBR drives are limited to the first 2TB of space available. My question is two fold: How do I return the unallocated space to the primary partition on the disk? How do I then add the secondary partition?

Relevancy 58.91%

Hey,
I have an Eternal Hard Drive (Transcend), partitioned. I want to set a password for a specfic partion (not for the whole hard drive)!
any one can help! or refer to a useful tutorial.

PS: TSElite was installed on the hard drive, if it is of any use!

A:External Hard Drive - set password for a partition

Check this link: Create Password Protected Hard Drive Partition

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/204891-external-hard-drive-set-password-partition.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Misread the drive label and deleted the partition on an USB external 80GB SATA drive. Nothing else has been done to the drive.

I did this when using Macrium Reflect Rescue disc.

I know I've seen mention of a program that can recover the partition table but I've not found it yet.

I tried EASUS Data Recovery Wizard but that didn't do it. I thought maybe Paragon had something but I've not had any luck so far. Any help appreciated. Thanks

A:Accidentally deleted partition on external drive

Hey Rich,

You might see if either one of the options in the tutorial below may be able to recover the deleted partition for you.

Partition - Recover Deleted Partitions in Windows

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/52061-accidentally-deleted-partition-external-drive.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Would like to have - gig sections partitions in my WD gig external USB 320 re-partition Solved: How gig drive hard WD to external hard drive FAT but can t figure out how to do this Used Partition Magic from my lt Reference to illegal software removed gt to partition my regular gig hard drive in half half is NTSF Backup half is FAT wasn t that hard to figure out Used Ghost to make a complete backup of my C drive in case I screwed something up burned an ISO file first I m running Windows Pro with SP However nothing on that lt Reference to illegal software removed gt disk will recognize my WD external drive period Partition Magic won t show it Solved: How to re-partition WD 320 gig external hard drive Norton Ghost doesn t see it either Solved: How to re-partition WD 320 gig external hard drive It s a Western Digital quot My Book quot drive just plugs into one of my USB ports Windows has no problem seeing it and my BIOS sees it too Now I m stumped probably cause I m not Solved: How to re-partition WD 320 gig external hard drive very experienced with this Have looked on the Internet a great deal but what I ve found is how to do this in XP which doesn t do me any good Can y all help please Thanks in advance hip God made the world and he rested God made man and he rested Then God made woman since then neither God nor man has rested nbsp

Relevancy 58.48%

I have primarily use a Dell Studio laptop I recently had a hard drive failure Luckily I cloned my entire hard drive to an external hard drive using Macrium Reflect I tried changing the boot order in the BIOS so that my laptop would boot from a USB device but this doesn t work I also tried using bootsect to make my external hard drive bootable but to no avail Can anyone give me any help with getting my laptop to run off the external hard drive The laptop in question no longer boots at all it crash dumps every time I try to turn it on and boot from the internal hard drive and it crashes when it automatically takes itself into Startup Repair Just thought I d add what I tried to do with bootsect Put bootsect exe into windows System quot Open cmd bcdboot c windows s c bootsect nt c mbr diskpart sel vol c act quot But the cmd said quot bootsect is not recognised as an internal or external command operable program or batch file quot nbsp

A:Trouble booting from an external hard drive

The BIOS in Dell laptop's doesn't usually give you a lot of options so it might not be possible to boot from USB. Presumably you'll be looking to replace the internal hard drive with a working one? If so, you could use a different system to clone the content of your external hard drive to the new internal one and then plug it into your Dell.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-booting-from-an-external-hard-drive.1025990/
Relevancy 58.48%

Last night during the shut down process a message popped up telling me that a certain file was corrupt and that I should run CHKDSK. I should have made a note of the name of the file, but I didn't. It was a gibberish name that may have started with "m$".

Today, I find that my external hard drive (a Maxtor One Touch III) is inaccessible. When I try to access it through Windows Explorer, I get the following message: "F:\ is inaccessible. The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable."

I ran CHKDSK. At the beginning, it gave me the following message: "Warning! F parameter not specified. Running CHKDSK in read-only mode." It claimed to fix some things at the end of step 2, but it didn't help.

Device Manager thinks that the device is running properly.

I rebooted the machine but that didn't help either.

Any ideas?

Relevancy 58.48%

I had a new desktop PC in August this year. Prior to that Seagate was connected to my laptop and working well, quietly in the background. However, I've now found that on the new PC it isn't backing up my files. I've set it to back up continuously but when I check on my work find that it's still 3 months out of date and has not done anything. I can see the back up is running so why aren't my personal files being backed up despite being checked on the list?

This is so annoying as I now have to resort to a memory stick and do it all manually. Can anyone give me a simple solution please?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/still-trouble-with-seagate-dashboard-external-drive.1136758/
Relevancy 58.48%

I have a new Windows 8.1 PC and an even newer WD My Book Essential External Hard Drive. I often find it difficult to eject the latter from my computer. Just now, for example, I tried to eject it and received the message ?This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device and then try again.? The trouble is, there don't seem to be any programs active, and indeed task manager showed ?There are no running apps.? After some online research I downloaded Microsoft's Process Explorer and searched for the external drive but this showed simply ?0 matching items.? Can anyone suggest what the problem could be, please?

A:Trouble ejecting WD external hard drive

Hi curt jugg!
It's a very peculiar problem you have. Generally, if you're using the Safely remove hardware option you shouldn't have any concerns.
This is Window's built in safely eject solution. But sometimes it's possible that it will tell you that it's not safe or that this device is currently in use. It won't tell you which application's using the device which makes it a lot harder to fix. Though, you could guess and try a few things.
Close every Windows Explorer windows and every program that may be using a file from the external device. This includes the antivirus and any applications on the Taskbar. Then safely eject.
Check if you have Indexing turned off on your drive by right clicking on it and choosing Properties. If it's on, turn it off, see if that works.
You could also shut down the PC completely, or log off and then log on, and after it eject the drive. But this takes more time and can be quite annoying. But sometimes such an error is just a temporary glitch occurring perhaps with no important reason and the restart/log off option is the best approach.
If none of this works for you, you could follow the advices for a third party software from this Microsoft article:
Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device
I hope I've helped!
Cheers and best of luck!
CK_WD

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/55351-trouble-ejecting-wd-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Trouble installing external DVD drive HP DVD s drive not found Hi everyone I have a Dell Inspiron running Windows XP The internal dvd drive does not work - was last replaced in shortly drive Trouble 556s HP external installing after buying the computer Its issue is we put in a CD and nothing Trouble installing HP 556s external drive happens So I just bought an external dvd drive the HP dvd s so that I can play a game I hooked up the drive - the power indicator is blue which means it s drawing sufficient power from the USB port to run - and then popped in the installation CD Installation did not autorun so I went to My Computer The drive is not Trouble installing HP 556s external drive showing My Computer shows removable drives F-J and when I click on all of them it says quot please insert a disk into the drive quot I m not sure what each of these drives is for - it s not my computer - but they all are still present even when the DVD drive is unplugged so they can t be that The USB port works - I plugged in a wireless mouse and a webcam both of which work into the drive and they still worked The dvd drive says it is pulling sufficient power - the blue light is on which the manual says is good to go When I pop in the install cd it seems to spin briefly hard to tell it is a quiet drive but nothing pops up on screen I tried my game CD as well and of course nothing happened Now when I plugged in the wireless mouse to that same port My Computer showed it up as drive L Once I removed it drive L disappeared I m not quite sure what this means only that the new DVD drive does not seem to be recognized by the computer I plugged it into other working ports and nada I took the drive to Best Buy and they plugged it in and it worked for them They let me swap it for an identical drive anyway but the new drive STILL is not recognized How can I get the computer to recognize the drive so I can install the software nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-installing-hp-556s-external-drive.915978/
Relevancy 58.05%

hi, i obtained an external 20gb hard drive a while ago as extra portable storage. a friend helped me at that time and partitioned it into 2 drives approximately 10gb each. now, i have decided it would be more convenient to have just 1 large drive of 20gb. is there a simple way to reformat the 2 hard drives and combine them into 1 20gb hard drive. i have winxp home version. the external 20gb hard drive is connected to my computer via a usb connection.

jj

Relevancy 58.05%

Hi,

Sorry if this has been treated somewhere else, but I cannot find a suitable answer anywhere. I have a used trascend external HD and am trying to partition it to make it NTFS so that I can create and store on it the system image of my computer.

I have plenty of free space, but when I right click on it, in Windows Disk Management, the option 'shrink volume' is greyed out and am not able to partition the drive .

I do not want to format the whole drive as I've got an older version of Windows that might not recognise the files (am I correct in thinking this?).

Any advice really appreciated

Thanks,

Lucia

A:External Hard drive cannot shrink volume to partition

Quote: Originally Posted by fairgrace

Sorry if this has been treated somewhere else,

Well, this probably belongs in the "hardware" forum where disk drive and partition questions normally go, but I'll respond here. An admin may move this thread to the "hardware" forum later.

Quote:
I have a used trascend external HD and am trying to partition it to make it NTFS so that I can create and store on it the system image of my computer.

I have plenty of free space, but when I right click on it, in Windows Disk Management, the option 'shrink volume' is greyed out and am not able to partition the drive .

Can you please post a screenshot from Diskmgmt.msc, maximized and with columns spread so the text contents in each column are readable in the screenshot.

Once you post this screenshot, we can recommend a proper course of action or suggest a possible "recipe" that might work, or maybe ask more questions.
As an excellent alternative to Windows Disk Management, I suggest you try Partition Wizard... either standalone boot CD or using the installed program under Win7. PW should have no problem dealing with this drive, and being able to resize partitions, format partitions to NTFS, or if necessary being able to "delete all partitions" and then you can "create partition" and format to NTFS, etc.

Partition Wizard can be used to do anything Diskmgmt can do, and more. It also has a standalone boot CD which can be used for more significant drive/partition work... involving the OS's C-partition... which cannot be completed while actually running under Windows but which must be done at re-boot time (or using the standalone boot CD for PW).

You can get [free] Partition Wizard Home Edition v5.2 from here.

You can download the ISO for the standalone boot CD from here, and then use something like [free] IMGBURN (which you can get from here) to burn the ISO to CD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/161926-external-hard-drive-cannot-shrink-volume-partition.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I want to merge the 2 partition(F and G drive)
And How can i recover the Lenovo Softwares if the OEM Reserved is on the External Hard Drive.

My External Hard Drive is the Hard Drive of my laptop before.

A:How to merge partition and use the OEM reserved on External Hard Drive

First you want to back up all of your data. Never play with partitions without doing this first.

The OEM partition could be imaged (using disk imaging software) to back it up and save it, but I wonder if it would work from an external drive? It would have been better to use the utility to burn recovery CDs of that partition while it was still in the laptop.

Then, to make this easy, you want to get a copy of Partition Wizard for bootable CD. (This is because Windows Disk management will only work to the right, it won't expand partitions to the left).

Using Partition Wizard you will delete Test F: and then expand H: to the left into that now unallocated space.
Since it is only 199MB you could just stop there. But if you wanted to add that to G: you could.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/289424-how-merge-partition-use-oem-reserved-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 58.05%

One - Table Partition External Hard Drive Repair of my TB NTFS external hard drives was dying and I just finished cloning it onto a new TB external hard drive with the use of dd-rescue in Linux The problem is now that I boot back into Windows x the filesystem on the Repair Partition Table - External Hard Drive drive is not recognized Windows just gives the following errors I assume ddrescue just failed to copy over the partition table correctly so I tried to use testdisk to fix it It detected one partition on the drive so I set it to Primary and tried writing the table It did not change anything though Here is the testdisk log Code Sat Nov Command line TestDisk TestDisk -WIP Data Recovery Utility October Christophe GRENIER lt email protected gt http www cgsecurity org OS Windows SP Compiler GCC Cygwin Compilation date - - T ext fs lib ntfs lib Repair Partition Table - External Hard Drive reiserfs lib -rc ewf lib disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO dev sda disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO dev sdb disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO dev sdc disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO dev sdd disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO dev sde disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO PhysicalDrive disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO PhysicalDrive disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO PhysicalDrive disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO PhysicalDrive disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO PhysicalDrive disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO C filewin getfilesize D GetFileSize err Incorrect function filewin setfilepointer D SetFilePointer err Incorrect function Warning can't get size for D disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO G filewin getfilesize H GetFileSize err Incorrect function filewin setfilepointer H SetFilePointer err Incorrect function Warning can't get size for H disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO I disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO L disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO N Hard disk list Disk dev sda - GB GiB - CHS sector size - Hitachi HDT SLA S N d b FW ST OA B Disk dev sdb - GB GiB - CHS sector size - WD Ext HDD S N WCAZA FW Disk dev sdc - GB GiB - CHS sector size - WD EAVS External S N WD-WCAU FW Disk dev sdd - GB GiB - CHS sector size - WD Ext HDD S N WCC T FW Disk dev sde - GB GiB - CHS sector size - WD Ext HDD S N WMAZA FW Disk PhysicalDrive - GB GiB - CHS sector size - WD Ext HDD S N WCC T FW Drive L - GB GiB - CHS sector size - WD Ext HDD S N WCC T FW TestDisk exited normally For some reason the TB hard drive the dying one was copied to is appearing on the list of drives three times It is both GB ones of course and the Drive L one that says it is TB seems to be the one that was copied onto it I have the original dying hard drive disconnected though I have no idea what is going on and am way over my head trying to mess with partitions The data is definitely all on the drive as testdisk lets me copy individual files off it onto other drives fine Can anyone help me get this drive working nbsp

Relevancy 58.05%

Ok here s the deal I ve just purchased an Acomdata GB external hard drive It comes preformated with TWO partitions - one is the CD Section which takes just something like that MB and is used to house installation files for applications having to do with the HD and the other one is the HD Section which is the whole HD minus the previous MB The CD Section partition is according to Acomdata impossible to delete or alter This initially annoyed me but I m basically ok with it as long as I can format partition the rest of the HD Magic And External 8 Partition Acomdata Hard Drive however I want Now both of the initial partitions are FAT and that s where the real problem lies I want to split the HD Section partition into two partitions with one being about GB NTFS and the other being the rest of the space FAT I need the NTFS partition so that I can transfer files bigger than GB which can t be done Partition Magic 8 And Acomdata External Hard Drive on FAT and I need the FAT partition so that I can still transfer files between a PC and a Mac So I started up Partitionmagic so that I could reformat partition the Partition Magic 8 And Acomdata External Hard Drive external hard drive the way I Partition Magic 8 And Acomdata External Hard Drive wanted it but where the information for the external hard drive is supposed to be in partitionmagic it just says Bad If I try to create a new partition or re-format the exisiting partition or anything else having to do with that drive I get error messages What s the deal nbsp

A:Partition Magic 8 And Acomdata External Hard Drive

You may have to go into Windows Disk Management and cleanup the whole disk, then use PM to format the larger FAT32 partition. I suspect the "CD Section" is done with non-standard formatting and/or partitioning, and is the issue here.

If that doesn't work, I'd take the drive out of the enclosure and run a disk ZAPPER on it, then partition and format it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partition-magic-8-and-acomdata-external-hard-drive.535934/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hard drive: WD Caviar GP WD7500AAVS-00D7B0
Enclosure says WD Elements on barcode
Capacity: 750 GB

Windows Vista Home Premium
2 GB RAM
AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core Processor (1.8GHz, 2x256 KB L2 cache)

Windows asks to reformat it.
TestDisk ran into an error partway through a deep scan.
Partition Table Doctor says total number of sectors on harddisk 1, partition 1 is 292096000. Correct number is 292109895. Offers to correct it.

And thank you to everyone who aided me in my previous 'help me' thread.

A:Want to fix external hard drive with partition table\MBR issue.

I've had some issues with 2 different Western Digital MyBook external drives where Windows offers to reformat it.

I ripped the case open and removed the hard drive. Then hooked it up with my USB slave device and everything was OK. I'm starting to suspect that there's a problem with the circuitry in the casing that causes this.

I would suggest removing the hard drive from the casing (if it's out of warranty) to see if you can recover the data that way. If it's still in warranty, I'd suggest contacting Western Digital to see what can be done to recovery your data before getting it repaired/replaced under warranty.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/want-to-fix-external-hard-drive-with-partition-table-mbr-issue-422438.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi

I've taken a 1TB SATA HDD from a second computer which had Windows 7 OS on it. I have housed it in an external caddy to use as a backup drive for my primary computer. It comes up as two paritions G and H. I've formatted G to give me a 931Gb drive and I have a H drive with 99.9MB which is the System Reserved from the previous Windows 7 install.

Can I format the System Reserved partition on the external drive and combine the two partitions to create one external backup HDD?? If I need software tools to do this are there any freeware tools that would do this?

Thanks
Mike

A:Remove System Reserved partition from external drive

Delete both partitions & reformat.

Partition or Volume - Delete
Partition or Volume - Create New

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/146416-remove-system-reserved-partition-external-drive.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I want to reformat an existing external HD for backup. Currently it has 3 partitions:
1 x Primary NTFS; 1 x Free Space; 1 x Logical NTFS.
Can someone please advise how to reformat this into a single NTFS partition? I'm running Win7.

A:How do I Reformat Multi Partition External Hard Drive

If there's no data on the drive that needs to be saved, just go into Disk Management and remove the partitions, until you have a blank, unallocated drive. Then create a new, solid partition for the entire drive.

I don't mess with extended and logical partitions, but you may have to delete the logical first, then the primary.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/234952-how-do-i-reformat-multi-partition-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 58.05%

My external eSATA connected hard drive shows as invalid extended partition and has bad sectors by Norton Disk Doctor and from booted into bad and external sectors extended drive invalid partition on Fedora Here is a recent fdisk run from Linux Should the extended partition ID type for both the internal IDE invalid extended partition and bad sectors on external drive and the external SATA drive be the same so that ID f W Ext d LBA is not correct then Iam not sure to allow the Norton Disk Doctor to attempt to fix this since it will rebuild the drive partition table so what is the best and safe way to repair this thanks The external SATA hard drive is dev sda GB and that GB sdb is the internal IDE drive email protected fdisk -l Disk dev sda GB bytes heads sectors track cylinders Units cylinders of bytes Disk identifier x d f Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System dev sda Linux dev sda Linux dev sda Linux dev sda f W Ext d LBA dev sda Linux dev sda Linux swap Solaris dev sda HPFS NTFS dev sda Linux dev sda Linux Partition table entries are not in disk order Disk dev sdb GB bytes heads sectors track cylinders Units cylinders of bytes Disk identifier x Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System dev sdb HPFS NTFS dev sdb Linux dev sdb Linux dev sdb Extended dev sdb Linux swap Solaris dev sdb Linux dev sdb Linux nbsp

A:invalid extended partition and bad sectors on external drive

That drive failed the Western Digital diagnostic test with too many bad sectors. Some of the tests passed run from the Ultimate boot CD for windows, but it may develop more bad sectors so I most likely do need a new hard drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/invalid-extended-partition-and-bad-sectors-on-external-drive.856868/