Windows Support Forum

New owner but cannot remove previous owner as administrator

Q: New owner but cannot remove previous owner as administrator

I recently bought an Acer AX3810 with Vista 7 Home Premium 64 bit from the widow of my neighbor. I had transferred all his personal files and copied all the photographs to an external hard drive for her then deleted all the files using "Eraser". I cannot seem to be able to delete the previous owner as administrator. His file has a little padlock symbol on it. I changed his name to mine in the "Manage user accounts" but no matter, it is still "him" that is logged on. I created a new account in my name and then changed the status from standard to administrator but he is still "there". I feel like I am being haunted. Any ideas?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: New owner but cannot remove previous owner as administrator

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: New owner but cannot remove previous owner as administrator

You could do a clean install: Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/321987-new-owner-but-cannot-remove-previous-owner-administrator.html
Relevancy 19.35%

I am seeking help either immediate help or as soon as someone gets a chance... please.

I bought a usb flash drive (my laptop recognizes it as a generic usb mass storage device) from the library... cheap I know... anyways I was using it prepairing to restore my pc... I removed it without clicking on the safely remove button and now it says cant remove files because its write protected... and it wasnt before... did I mess it up if not then how do I remove a write protection if I have no lock/unlock switch deal? I scaned it for viruses/malware etc... I can view all the files but cant delete them and I wanted to clear them off so I can use it for another purpose... can anyone help please...

A:How to remove write protection of USB mass storage with no visible lock/unlock

insert the USB device, then

control panel->Admin Tools->Disk Management

Your boot drive will show as C:\ and under
Layout will be Partition
File System will show NTFS

How does your USB show up?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-remove-write-protection-of-usb-mass-storage-with-no-visible-lock-unlock.177267/
Relevancy 19.78%

I'm replacing a motherboard for a HP laptop. I need to replace this backplate for the CPU heatsink to the new motherboard. I've tried to pull it out but it seems to be glued onto the motherboard.
If I manage to pull it out, should I replace the glue, double-sided tape or whatever is underneath?

HP G62-b80SS laptop.
Intel Core i3 CPU.
Thank you

A:How can I remove/replace this CPU heatsink backplate (where the CPU socket is screwed)?

It is probably double stick tape used to insure it stays in place. Replacing it is your call. As long as the heatsink is mounted correctly, it really doesn't matter if the backplate is loose or stuck in place. Sticking the backplate simply makes mounting the heatsink easier to manage.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-remove-replace-this-cpu-heatsink-backplate-where-the-cpu-socket-is-screwed.213375/
Relevancy 20.21%

I bought a new drive only to rip my dvd collection and I choose a fast on at 16x, but to my surprise and disappointment I see that the drive is riplocked. I did a lot of research to check that it wasnt in fact riplocked but it is unfortunately.

I have read a lot of articles and done a lot of research to try to find out how to remove this riplock and I found out that the asus drive is actually a rebranded pioneer drive (bdr-206) and that this firmware should do the job BDR-206_FW106EU (found at files.rpc1.org) but when im running it I get a DOS window saying that the firmware has started but right after im getting an error message saying "Available target not found". The drive is connected by using usb 3.0 and its external.

Its now ripping at 2.5x instead of 16x because of the riplock.
I would really appriciate any help on getting this drive to rip at 16x.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-remove-riplock-on-asus-bw-12d1s-u.209004/
Relevancy 20.21%

Without going into details, about a teaspoon of shampoo got spilled on my laptop keyboard in the top left quarter. I tried posting this from it, but it was unreadable. I immediately shut it down & used a dry towel to wipe up excess but some keys still don't work .
Please don't tell me I have to tear my laptop apart The Esc key does work.
Its a VGN-CR590
I do have the manual ,but I don't think it shows how to remove the keyboard. TIA

A:How do I remove my laptop keyboard?

I'm stumped. I found this http://www.laptopkeyboard.com/Guides.php/Sony/VGN-CR (Silver)/VGN-CR590/KBS15
checked out the manual but still can't find the screws with keyboard icons & I fear breaking the keyboard by removing it incorrectly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-remove-my-laptop-keyboard.206608/
Relevancy 31.82%

I have to say I am a little worried about my hard drive. Often I bought it for the purpose to protect my game videos, and some program files. For a long time, it behaved rightly with my HP windows 7 desktop when directly used. Sometimes ago I decided to let this old PC alone and bought a Macbook pro. The latter has no such a SATA interface for me to input the data from this drive. For the convenience, I borrowed this SATA dock from my brother . ( I have to admit previously I once use another dock to exchange the data . )

My mac just could not recognize my drive as a normal one. I am not sure where the problem lies in. The key is that other drives have no similar issue with this dock. I wonder if anything happen before in the process I handle the data with another dock.

Grateful for any advice.

A:Previous WD hard drive 500GB could not be recognized as it always

Yeah. At present I have no such another one to have a try. I will turn to my friend see if any gadget he has to test my drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/previous-wd-hard-drive-500gb-could-not-be-recognized-as-it-always.201163/
Relevancy 33.11%

I would like to use my old hdd, which contains files from a windows vista os on the newer pc that has windows 7. At the moment I don't have any enclosures so I'm wondering if there's an alternatively easy way to use it with the pc without much trouble

A:Using a previous HDD

Hey NTAPRO. Your newer Win7 system should have both SATA and an IDE interface,so depending on what type of interface your Win7 system is using for the boot drive, I would connect the old drive accordingly (make it a slave if your Win7 boot drive is IDE). I would then copy the files needed, then either keep the old drive in place or mount it in an external enclosure and in either case, format the drive and use for storage.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/using-a-previous-hdd.189894/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have an old quot HD from a previous laptop that I have successfully convrted into a external harddrive with an appropriate HD Enclosure and recovered whatever data I wanted onto my new win laptop since I no longer need the operating system the data HD / partitions old remove on Format or the partitions on this Format / remove partitions on old HD reborn external harddrive since I would like to use it for backups storage it makes sense to me to wipe it clean to start afresh does reformatting essentially wipe it free of data and restore as a single volume since I have never formatted or wiped a hard Format / remove partitions on old HD drive in my life and a quick google search suggests I can format a new harrdrive no mention about an old one with Computer Management gt Storage gt Disk Management pic uploaded I hope I dont really understand what the four sections represent on Disk the new lappies harddrive and they dont appear seperately as far as I can tell on file explorer Disk does however appear as drives E F G H when plugged in though E is completely empty anyway if anyone can explain in simple id-iot-proof language that I cant screw-up how to wipe clean Disk into a single usable GB volume I would be a happy bunny aditionally I would appreciate any comments as to a good strategy for backing up I thought I would initially make a full image of the harddrive then just periodically save just the data manually is it possible to boot from the image if required I could always just plug in the quot into the drive bay if the computer doesnt support booting via the USB nbsp

A:Format / remove partitions on old HD

xauss said:

I have an old 2 1/2" HD from a previous laptop that I have successfully convrted into a external harddrive with an appropriate HD Enclosure, and recovered whatever data I wanted onto my new win8 laptop.

since I no longer need the operating system, the data, or the partitions on this reborn external harddrive since I would like to use it for backups/ storage, it makes sense to me to wipe it clean to start afresh. does reformatting essentially wipe it free of data and restore as a single volume?Click to expand...

YES

since I have never formatted or wiped a hard drive in my life and a quick google search suggests I can format a new harrdrive (no mention about an old one!) with Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management (pic uploaded I hope) I dont really understand what the four sections represent on Disk 0 (the new lappies harddrive) and they dont appear seperately as far as I can tell on file explorer. Disk 1 does however appear as drives E F G H when plugged in (though E is completely empty)Click to expand...

Let's make sure you never get these mixed up.
get a command prompt (click start and in the SEARCH box enter CMD hit enter.
In the new window, enter DISKMGMT
In the Disk Mgmt window, there's two major sections: Upper half and bottom half and this is where you see Disk 0, Disk 1, ...
Mine show three blocks Recovery, Win7-OS (C and one with only a size and 'healthy'
The biggest block should be your Windows partition and have status like

Healthy (Boot, Page file, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
For my system(s), I did a right-click on this partition -> properties -> General Tab and created the name WIN7-OS
so that I never screw-up.

For your DISK 1; do the same thing and give a name like EXT_HD
TAKE NOTICE OF THE DRIVE LETTER (I'll assume it's Z: below)

anyway, if anyone can explain in simple id-iot-proof language that I cant screw-up how to wipe clean Disk 1 into a single usable 300GB volume I would be a happy bunny.Click to expand...

Assuming you've given disk 1 this name, in the command window, enter the following:
Format Z: /X /FS:NTFS /V:EXT_HD

aditionally I would appreciate any comments as to a good strategy for backing up (I thought I would initially make a full image of the harddrive, then just periodically save just the data manually) is it possible to boot from the image if required? (I could always just plug in the 2 1/2" into the drive bay if the computer doesnt support booting via the USB)Click to expand...

Let's deal with that after the above is completed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/format-remove-partitions-on-old-hd.187104/
Relevancy 70.95%

daughter gave me Toshiba tablet,How do I go about changing the registration on it?

A:Transfer registration to new owner on Toshiba tablet

Call Toshiba support...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/transfer-registration-to-new-owner-on-toshiba-tablet.177782/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hello everyone, hope you all had a great christmas (or holiday),

I recently got a box account and read an option to make your own sync folder using network mapping. I did that, and now I have a network drive to Box.net that will sync with my account.

However, I also found an application called social folder that does the same thing, but much better.

How do I remove the Box.net network drive from my network list now? There is no right click>delete option available.

Thanks everyone.

A:Remove computer from network (Win 7)

HMM; I'm still on XP so you will need to explore the Win/7 equiv.

Find My Network Places
determine if the mapped drive is shown
right-click on it ->delete

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/remove-computer-from-network-win-7.175231/
Relevancy 20.21%

When I remove my memory cards from the USB device, the computer shuts down in an orderly manner, as if I'd selected Shut Down from the start menu! It does not happen every time, but it is a pissoff when I'm working on something to have the computer shut itself down just because I removed a device. Also, it doesn't happen every single time.

I've looked around for answers on this and haven't gotten anything other than a mention to update my usb drivers, but i cant seem to find an individual usb driver package at all.

What can I do about this? It's too much.

A:Computer shuts down when I remove USB device!

I assume those memory cards appear in Windows as removable media (with drive letters assigned?)

Use the Safely Remove Hardware icon in your notification tray to notify Windows to stop all I/O to those "logical drives" (the memory cards) before you remove them

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-shuts-down-when-i-remove-usb-device.173386/
Relevancy 31.82%

Hi,

Not sure if this the right forum, but here goes. This has just started happening. Whichever window I have open, once I close the window I have the imprint of the window on the next window I open or on the desktop if no window is open. There are also vertical lines down the screen like you get on a TV set that are very pronounced. I have an ATI Radeon 4800HD series card running the lates drivers on a WINXP Pro system. I've tried going through all the setting but still can't get this to disappear. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Verity25

A:Background shadows from previous open window

its either the graphics card or monitor that is slowly dieing, but from the windows staying open issue i would put my money on the GPU being the issue, do you have onboard graphics on your motherboard? if so take out the graphics card and plug the monitor into the motherboard one

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/background-shadows-from-previous-open-window.172107/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hello everyone. I know there's probably been posts similar to mine, but I have not learned all I wanted from previous posts. Recently, my hard drive gave out on my XP computer. The issue seems to be that it will not be read as a master drive, but will run fine as a slave on my other XP computer. That being said, I can view the general program files, ect. on the drive when viewed with Explorer in my Computer, but cannot access my pictures and music and such. As mentioned in similar post, the same amount of usage is being reported, but not all of that data is viewable or present. How can I access my pictures and music? (I understand from other posts that it might have something to do with it being password protected if my previous computer installation of XP was password protected?)

A:Unable to view administrator files on slave drive

User Permissions

Its more down to user permissions, you dont have permission to access it, Personally i would take the hard drive and slip it in a computer with windows 7, then reset the permissions to whicherever user i want ( this is done by right clicking the drive/folder and changeing under the permissions tab)

God luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-view-administrator-files-on-slave-drive.171696/
Relevancy 20.64%

hi,

See attached pictures. This is an old Intel Brookdale 845G motherboard.
HOW to remove fan from this motherboard ???

When I move the white clips on top, sink & fan body moves a bit, but does not come out. Entire body doesnt twist or turn.

Thanks !

A:How to remove fan from this motherboard?

Where's the picture?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-remove-fan-from-this-motherboard.171271/
Relevancy 17.63%

When I boot up my computer the USB "remove hardware" icon loads in the tray, even though there isn't a devise plug in the USB port. I'm usually able to get rid of the USB icon by going thru the procedure as if there was something plugged in.
I believe this started months ago when I was having problems with a MP3 player.
The USB port still works fine, as I use it for my camera and memory stick all the time.
Any ideas on how to remedy this problem?
Thanks for your help.

A:USB "Remove Hardware Icon" loads when I boot up

What happends when you click the remove hardware icon? Does it bring up any devices at all?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-remove-hardware-icon-loads-when-i-boot-up.161540/
Relevancy 20.21%

XP
I keep getting the message that windows can not let me disconect my usb thumb drive because it is being used by another program.

Is there a setting to fix this?

A:Comp will not let me remove thumb drive

Cremaster said:

XP
I keep getting the message that windows can not let me disconect my usb thumb drive because it is being used by another program.

Is there a setting to fix this?Click to expand...

Just pull it out?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/comp-will-not-let-me-remove-thumb-drive.160514/
Relevancy 71.81%

Hello all I got an XFX GB for Christmas and I am having some issues with it In Linux it works fine no screen glitches but in Windows While in dual monitor mode in windows I am getting strange effects on the nd monitor I have read that this is due to the power-saving feature within the card I tried the catalyst xml method to disable it owner, Not thread! need (new another clarification) 5870 and it doesn t work I don t want to flash it because it will void my warranty I have a question though I plan to run this card with three screens in eyefinity spanning mode does anyone on here have that setup and still experience Not another 5870 thread! (new owner, need clarification) screen flicker or any other issues I am thinking that three s will be enough to keep the card in D mode but I am not sure Not another 5870 thread! (new owner, need clarification) Are Not another 5870 thread! (new owner, need clarification) there other methods to disable the power saving feature on this card Im thinking that it is actually a driver issue simply because linux does not do the same flickering Thanks nbsp

A:Not another 5870 thread! (new owner, need clarification)

The problem is most likely the 2D (normal desktop 157MHz/300MHz) clocks set too low to drive two/three screens.

If you are using Catalyst Control Centre, click on the "ATI Overdrive" tab and uncheck "Enable ATI Overdrive" - this of course means no overclocking unless you use a third party utility such as MSI Afterburner -You may also need to create two seperate profiles for this ( 2D and 3D).
If unchecking Overdrive does not work for you then the other option, as you seem to be aware, is to flash (or have flashed) the cards' BIOS to enable the Powerplay function to operate correctly. Most card vendors will send you links for utilities (or the utilities themselves- ATI flash, new BIOS, HP's bootable USB/CD/DVD tool) with detailed instruction on how to flash the BIOS which would save you time, expense and down time from a direct RMA - flashing the BIOS yourself is covered by warranty if the vendor sanctions its use.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/not-another-5870-thread-new-owner-need-clarification.158805/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi CPU Intel Core QUAD Motherboard AsRock x TurboTwins Ram DDR x GB GHz brand Hynix GPU ATI HD PSU Corsair W OS Windows Custom previous screen black in screen after goes blue The (even BIOS) build I installed Civilization and directX as well because I was asked to The screen goes black after previous blue screen (even in BIOS) during the installation After few minutes of being in the game a blue screen popped up I do not know what message was on there I restarted the computer and system recommended to run the fix mode I launched it and after a while I was advised to bring the settings back to the restore point I acknowledged this but then all I saw was a black screen Since then after The screen goes black after previous blue screen (even in BIOS) each restart the screen goes black If I manage to go to BIOS after - seconds the screen goes black I cannot even reinstall Windows Those - seconds in BIOS are The screen goes black after previous blue screen (even in BIOS) enough to check the temperatures on CPU and MB they are around degrees Celsius so overheating is not the problem I connected the monitor with my laptop and it works so monitor is fine There are no loose connections There is no dust and debris - this system is months old Problem might be in the graphics card Several weeks ago the screen used to go grey after playing Fallout for - minutes I disabled the audio on the card and that solved the problem However Windows still indicated that there is something wrong with the GPU on the other hand drivers were up-to-date Can anyone help please Or let me know what you think might be wrong Thanks nbsp

A:The screen goes black after previous blue screen (even in BIOS)

Since you are having a graphics issue in both the BIOS startup screen and while Windows is open, it does sound like a graphics card problem and not a driver problem. Do you have another graphics card to substitute for test purposes?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/the-screen-goes-black-after-previous-blue-screen-even-in-bios.158751/
Relevancy 20.21%

i need help!! I had no problems getting pictures from my memory card from camera..now when i put the card in it says 'safely remove hardware' and my pictures are no where to be found. i have done everything i could to try and fix it and i cannot. what did i do and can i fix it??? apparently i need step-by-step instructions. very frustrating!

A:Help! Safely remove hardware

We need to know the make and model of the camera your using. Can you still view the pictures on the camera? Have you changed anything that could have caused this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-safely-remove-hardware.156185/
Relevancy 19.78%

My Lexar secure 2 flash drive is now write protected and i need it to work bad! Its memory is full and i need to delete a ton of files but it will not allow.As far as i can tell it has no switch. Is there anyway i can remove the write protection?

A:How do I remove write protection for Lexar Secure 2

Possibly do a firmware update? See if that can fix the problem.. Otherwise I would think you might need some software that came with the flash drive to turn this protection off.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-remove-write-protection-for-lexar-secure-2.155208/
Relevancy 20.21%

greetings, yesterday when i try to remove a program in my laptop i notice a black color space in between my add/remove items and wonder what this mean, its just so annoying cause i need to scroll down longer just to find my program i want to remove

please explain what is that black thing, any advice or comments is much appreciated
hope its not something serious , my laptop is working accordingly except with that black thing..........

A:Black add or remove programs

Have you installed all the current Windows updates, including any graphics or other hardware updates?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-add-or-remove-programs.154999/
Relevancy 19.78%

Could somebody help me with a quick batch program to remove, network addresses, gateway, broadcast, etc.? Also include cookies, browser history and that sort of thing but really I want the network code if you could help out with that.

I know I could just use ccleaner but this is something that will be constantly worked on until all the functions I want will be in this one batch file instead of possibly running a couple programs.

Used these two but need to know from the experts!!

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns

Also when the the wireless card is pulled from the pcmcia slot, like to know what wipes any trace of the hard coded ip, mac ip.

A:Create a batch file to remove network activity

any help putting this code together for me. windows 7

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/create-a-batch-file-to-remove-network-activity.154433/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi everyone I have searched this forum and many others for a solution to my problem I have some mov files on my USB flash drive my partner wanted me to make a video with some of his footage but I couldn t work out imovie he has a mac me windows so I moved .mov flash Cannot Mac after a files using USB from drive a remove as many files as I could across That was fine until I realised I couldn t open them and when I tried to delete them on the windows operating system it wouldn t let me It simply comes up with a red circle with a line through it no entry we call it in New Zealand when I try to move it across to the recycle bin So I tried Cannot remove .mov files from a USB flash drive after using a Mac deleting them on the MAC It said it was formatted for windows So I downloaded the NSTS Or whatever the abbreviation is but that didn t help either I also tried emptying the MAC s recycle bin but that didn t work either I then proceeded to try to quot fix problems quot on the drive in windows which said it was protected or something The first computer the drive was plugged in to was this one although the hard drive has been changed I then tried to move them to Cannot remove .mov files from a USB flash drive after using a Mac my actual documents That worked but only for copy It will not let me cut So I Cannot remove .mov files from a USB flash drive after using a Mac then tried following advice from this forum - file assasin application That couldn t delete them either but it did say quot unlocked with no errors quot but I still can t delete them I think my problems started when I tried moving files from a MAC to a PC Dumb I know but I ve often saved other documents from the MAC to my PC and not had a problem Some of the videos also have a quot black quot thumbnail looks blank and others are just the Quicktime application picture Can someone provide me with a solution please Luckily I have everything backed up elsewhere but I need this jump drive I would prefer not to delete everything if possible but if thats the only solution nbsp

A:Cannot remove .mov files from a USB flash drive after using a Mac

I should also add, I did a virus scan and it was free from any infections...!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-remove-mov-files-from-a-usb-flash-drive-after-using-a-mac.153290/
Relevancy 19.35%

Every now and then I get an error, "The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped because a program is still accessing it", after trying to safetly remove my USB device.

No matter what I do I can not get it to say Device is ok to be Safetly Remove (or what ever it is)... - I mean I close everything that I can think of; I have tried to close a few program under the "Processes" tab of the windows task manager however some of these unsure if I she End Process so when unsure I do not. Is there anyway of knowing what these programs are?

Back to the USB device isue - will shutting off computer be good enough to unplug the USB drive? As there is always a little power in the computer on shut down.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks,
David

A:Questions on: safely remove hardware and Windows task manager

Look in the bottom toolbar for a tiny icon that has a green arrow pointing down to the left, and a grey image of a USB flash drive just below it.
Right click on that tiny arrow-grey box set. You will get the box "Safely Remove Hardware"
Click on that choice, and wait until you get the message on your screen that it is safe to remove the USB flash device.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/questions-on-safely-remove-hardware-and-windows-task-manager.148988/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hi everyone I ve been asking a lot of questions regarding HDDs and installing OSs so I apologise if this is repetetive I have a numbrer of queries I have an old GB Seagate SATA HDD It has Windows XP installed on it My newer HDD is a TB Seagate which has Windows on it Is it possible to remove all data from my older HDD including the OS and use it as additional storage on Windows If both the SATA devices are connected to my PC in their present state one having XP and the Other Win which HDD will and OS format Remove HDD old my computer boot from My Windows is set to AHCI and XP to IDE So when I connect my older HDD I have to change my SATA Storage Type from AHCI to IDE for Windows XP to boot When I install Linux will there be Remove OS and format old HDD an option for AHCI so that I can dual boot without having to change BIOS settings every time During Linux Remove OS and format old HDD installation if both my HDDs are connected will they show up separately Thanks nbsp

A:Remove OS and format old HDD

Sata drives will show as SDA# followed by the partition.
SCSI and USB are the same except with SDC and SDB.

HDA is the primary IDE drive (I think)

So yeah they should show separably

1.) I have an old 160GB Seagate SATA HDD. It has Windows XP installed on it. My newer HDD is a 1TB Seagate which has Windows 7 on it. Is it possible to remove all data from my older HDD (including the OS) and use it as additional storage on Windows 7?Click to expand...

Should be, just format it to NTFS and windows 7 should be able to use it fine. Do you mean transfer the OS to the 1TB? I think you can do that too.

2.) If both the SATA devices are connected to my PC in their present state (one having XP and the Other Win 7), which HDD will my computer boot from?Click to expand...

I think this is determined by the bootloader, since you probably have the vista/win7 bootloader, I think that both xp and w7 should show up as available options.

These are all guesses...use at your own risk, i'm really not that sure .

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/remove-os-and-format-old-hdd.147975/
Relevancy 30.53%

trying to set up an xbox live connection through a laptop with a mobile broadband usb dongle. I've set up the connection no problem, now i just need to set the MTU settings.

I'm doing this through command prompt with the command "netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1364 store=persistent"

and it came back with the message "the requested operation requires elevation <run as administrator>"

this doesn't make sense as I am logged in with the ONLY user account, and i checked the account settings, and it is definitely the admin account (it would have to be, as it is the only account on the laptop)

i dont understand the problem

can anyone help?

thanks in advance for your time

A:Trying to set MTU settings - it says "run as administrator" - I AM administrator

I could be wrong, but do you not need to elevate to admin to do that command in cmd?

I didnt think it ran as admin all the time, but I'm more of a linux person...

This might be of help... http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/run-cmd-as-administrator

It looks like you could shortcut cmd.exe to the desktop and in properties select to run as administrator...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-set-mtu-settings-it-says-run-as-administrator-i-am-administrator.147664/
Relevancy 19.78%

HI All,
You have to love to answer the newbie silly questions?

I wasn't sure which thread to post,

My emachines power supply.model bestec model atx-250-12e went out.
All info I read in reference to,
my motherboard most likely went with it.....

Why purchase power supply not knowing how to check if motherboard bad?

My question is, one drive on my emachine with most all of my important info
Can I take out and add/switch it to a HP or Dell pc?

Do I have to delete windows os etc from HP or Dell before replacing
Or is it even compatible or possible, or would it be best to just buy used emachine of the same?

When looking on ebay there are very few emachines.....but all kinds of dell and hp
deals.

Any links to or info greatly appreciated, I have searched and read too many hours.

Thanks everyone.....

A:Can I remove a drive from eMachine add/switch to HP or Dell?

Typically of that model, the motherboard failed, and took the power supply with it. It is commonly assumed the reverse occurs. We have tested 700 of these machines in preparation for suit against Mfg.

The hard drive and memory are good, as is the CPU and fan...

You can rescue the data on that hard drive by putting it in an expernal USB enclosure and copying it to another drive.
However you will find it difficult to use it as is in another system.
I would save the data to another drive or to a couple of DVD's, then reformat the drive using a Windows XP that is NOT from an eMachine install. Some eMachine disks works, mysteriouslyl, but not many.

Better, methinks, is to use a new system, then install the eMachines hard drive as a "Slave" drive, then copy over everything you need.

The eMachine models that used that Bestec power supply are mostly four years old, or more. That means the hard drive is also older than you would want to have in a news sytem.
A new hard drive from 160GB to 320 GB can be purchased new for $50 if you shop around. That is cheaper than messing with what you have.
You can buy a new motherboard for the eMachine case for $40, and use all the components, but the eMachines install disk likely will not work to install your new system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-remove-a-drive-from-emachine-add-switch-to-hp-or-dell.147211/
Relevancy 20.21%

I tried the 'Safely Remove Hardware' but it ells me
"Windows can?t stop your Generic volume device because it is in use..."

I even made sure nothing was copied in the clipboard as I find this is usually the case but this time its not.

David

PS I am running vista

A:When 'Safely Remove Hardware' does now work - what now?

usually, you have a window open on one of the directories of the device.

Close all programs
Close all explorer windows

try the Safely Remove Hardware again

if it fails, do it still once more - - sometimes TWICE is require - - hey, it's windows

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/when-safely-remove-hardware-does-now-work-what-now.146715/
Relevancy 20.21%

Before doing a recent fresh install of XP Pro SP I had done some tweak don t remember the details and it had tweaked many things including the mysterious TCP IP connection limit I have searched on google and have found mixed recommendations some experts recommending not Help limit connection the remove of TCP/IP to mess with it while some recommending solutions but have only been able to find it for Vista not XP Since the fresh install and all updates installed I have been regularly getting the following in the event viewer Event Type Warning Event Source Tcpip Event Category None Event ID Date -May- Time AM User N A Help remove the connection limit of TCP/IP Computer mylaptop Description TCP IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts For more information see Help and Support Center at I can say for sure that my internet connection is not giving me the download performance what I was getting prior to the new install The download speed that I am not getting is simply frustrating Can someone please help me tweak remove the TCP IP connection limit so that I can avail the full potential of what my bandwidth really has to offer Ideal situation would be if you can pls recommend a tool which does all the hidden tweaks nbsp

A:Help remove the connection limit of TCP/IP

the connection limit has nothing to do with download bandwidth.

the connection limit is 10 concurrent shares being accesses at the same time.
a client user does not (should not) need more.

the Windows Servers use many more than than to support large companies.

I think you are looking for Network Tweaks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-remove-the-connection-limit-of-tcp-ip.146710/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi,
Anyone have detailed instructions for removing and replacing the keyboard and touchpad on a Sony Vaio VGN-ZA570G? It seems that the keyboard hood is tight and I do not want to break anything. Special instructions for removing?
Thanks!
Star Tek

A:Sony Vaio PCG-9W1L remove keyboard and touchpad

Check instructions at this link:

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/remove-replaced-damaged-keyboard-sony-vaio-vgn-s150-lapto/

Not the same model number but it may work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sony-vaio-pcg-9w1l-remove-keyboard-and-touchpad.146169/
Relevancy 32.25%

Yeah, this error pops up every time I start my computer. It'll say this:

"Alert! Previous Fan Failure.
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"

And the entire screen is a blank, black color with this text only. I've been pressing F1 for a long time now and it lets me run my computer perfectly. I tried fixing this problem some time last year, asking the people over at Dell, but I ended up screwing up my computer, so I gave up. Dell really has horrible support. I guess since I just got a new hard drive, I don't want something to happen to my computer, even though I should have fixed this LONG ago.

Uhm... some basic information: Dell Dimension 4550, Windows XP, the problem started ~1 year ago.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

A:Alert! Previous Fan Failure.

You really need to take the necessary steps to replace the failed fan or risk frying something. One of my PCs is a Dell which had a fan failure with the same message as yours. In my case it was replaced under warranty but if I had let it go, I might have fried my CPU.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/alert-previous-fan-failure.55998/
Relevancy 19.78%

this is a dell inspiron its already been refurbed still got the sticker on bottom p proc i don t know bout RAM hdd capacity ect cant do ANYTHING without the hd the owner bought it 2500, how Inspiron and bios first? Dell remove pwds HDD Have HDD on to secondhand on the story from the previous owner that it just needed a new hd and the password would be removed with the old drive well thats their request to me replace the hd and install XP on it i do light refurb work on mostly Have HDD and bios pwds on Dell Inspiron 2500, how to remove HDD first? desktops and pasword work hasn t been an issue but they want me to try to save the cost of the new drive ect ect so having seen other posts about dell bios pwd fixes i had to ask anyone know how to go about this if i could get into bios perhaps changing the boot order could boot my XP disk but i dont know that will even help cause it seems the password is stored on the mobo Have HDD and bios pwds on Dell Inspiron 2500, how to remove HDD first? just a feeling any advice nbsp

A:Have HDD and bios pwds on Dell Inspiron 2500, how to remove HDD first?

We do not help with password issues on TechSpot.
Your best bet is to register the new owner on Dell, then wait 21 business days fof verification that it has not been stolen, then contact their tech support by telephone after the registration has been in place the 21 business days.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/have-hdd-and-bios-pwds-on-dell-inspiron-2500-how-to-remove-hdd-first.141855/
Relevancy 32.25%

Just set up a refurbished Dell Optiplex GX280. I received the Alert! Previous Fan Failure message once.

Please allow me a stupid question, because I'm not a computer tech...

On the BIOS Event Log, there is the one entry for the CPU Fan "Out of Range"

I can still hear the fan running, and I've restarted the computer a few times since and NOT got the message. So do I still have a fan problem?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/alert-previous-fan-failure.141198/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have a 250 GB trascend external storage that I use for remote daily DB backups. I need to take the device every evening when going home. Every time I use safe remove, Vista is saying that the device can be safely removed, but the LED indicator in the device is still ON. I tried it in XP SP3 and the LED indicator will turn OFF if i use safe remove. is this a bug in Vista? hofix?

A:Vista USB Safe Remove Problem

Is this LED used to tell you that it's not alright to disconnect? I have one with an LED on it, and it just means it is plugged into the computer. Taking it out after doing a safe remove will not damage it.

It could just be that vista tells USB port to keep supplying power to it even when it has been safe removed. But that is just power, not an actual connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vista-usb-safe-remove-problem.140122/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have in Seagate HD External remove safely XP Cannot a tb Seagate external hard drive hooked up Seagate External HD Cannot safely remove in XP to a pc usb running win xp and when i try to quot safely remove hardware quot it always says quot cannot stop generic volume right now please try again later quot well I ve tried again later many times over the course of several weeks and it never works it has worked just fine to quot safely remove Seagate External HD Cannot safely remove in XP hardware quot on my laptop running windows vista Also the drive is pretty new about a month old and I ve been sharing it over the network so my housemates and i can all share movies but Ive started to hear the clicking I stopped sharing the drive and noticed the clicking decrease in frequency maybe or times a day when I m around whereas before it would be around to times a day ran Seagate s software to check the health of the drive Two of the tests checked out but it said the S M A R T test was unavailable Any ideas nbsp

A:Seagate External HD Cannot safely remove in XP

Some of these external drives you can take the casing off, and mount the Sata Hard drive, inside a Desktop computer
Then you can run the Seatools diagnostic software fully

This does sound like a faulty hard drive though, if its > Clicking

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-external-hd-cannot-safely-remove-in-xp.139378/
Relevancy 19.78%

This is a HP Media Center PC m7000. I hit the power button and it starts up but shuts down after 8 seconds. I tried a different power supply but it did the same thing. I removed the motherboard and disconnected all cables except for the P1, the power switch connector and the 12V supply to the motherboard. When the 12V was plugged in and I applied power, the CPU fan barely moves and the supply shuts down after 8 seconds. I removed the CPU from the socket and powered the MB up with the 12V applied and the CPU fan runs quickly and the unit stays up. So now I either have a bad socket for the CPU or a bad CPU. Any way to determine if I have a bad CPU chip before buying a new one?

A:PC powers off after 8 seconds - remove CPU chip and it stays up

Is the CPU heatsink properly installed with thermal compound between the CPU and the heatsink? Do you have the CPU fan properly connected to the motherboard fan header?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-powers-off-after-8-seconds-remove-cpu-chip-and-it-stays-up.137827/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hello I had posted a thread a couple months ago Update problem optical previous a post on drive on the fact that System has non-functional optical drives in Windows I can boot CDs from them Puppy Linux and the Windows Install CD but as soon as I try to read a CD under Windows Update on a previous optical drive problem post the computer locks up Today I figured out it was a problem with a key in the HKLM System hive of the registry by replacing it with the one in the repair directory and seeing if the DVD-RW drives read the disks correctly They did and now here s my question Unfortunately using the System hive from the repair directory prevents my system from booting in any other mode besides Safe mode Is there a way I can isolate the problem and fix it in the original hive or use the repair directory hive and reinstall all of the drivers EDIT quot Reinstall all drivers quot should be quot amend it to the original hive quot nbsp

A:Update on a previous optical drive problem post

What drivers?
Check your pins to be sure your optical drive is set for Master. Be sure all your cables are right, by unplugging and resetting...
Then you should be able to boot without jumping through hoops.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/update-on-a-previous-optical-drive-problem-post.129299/
Relevancy 30.53%

I downloaded avg anti virus & a day later I tried logging into my side. I got all these error messages, after clicking ok to all of them the screen went blank n you cant get anywhere unless you shut it down by the button. what can I do to get it back to normal???

A:How do you reset the entire computer back to a previous state through safe mode?

How to Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Reference Here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/en-us

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-you-reset-the-entire-computer-back-to-a-previous-state-through-safe-mode.126626/
Relevancy 20.64%

Can someone help on how to permanently delete my pc history such as temporary files/internet files how to remove deleted files and how to keep pc from recording what you do?

A:How to remove PC history?

If you want to completely get rid of everything reformat you're computer and then everything will be gone.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-remove-pc-history.124927/
Relevancy 26.23%

i got windows xp pro i was missing around with computer management and did something now i cant log into my mind administrator account i try to reboot on safe mode i get the administrator name but i try to create a another accuont or change but i get a asses denied i try i to Ctrl Alt Delete and nothing i think i my have deleted something and messed everything up ..when i go to my user account from control panel i dont see a quest account or administrator all i see is that small picture off a bass guitar and its says administrator but under it says guest account i have no privilege for nothing . how can i change that guest under admintrator account ?

A:Administrator account problam

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step
http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step
http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

Vista Repair:
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winvista/index.htm (index page)
http://vistahomepremium.windowsreinstall.com/repairstartup/repairstartup.htm (guide)

Or use UBCD to back up your data and re-install clean
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic123957.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/administrator-account-problam.124614/
Relevancy 20.21%

I created a virtual drive using MagicISO to mount an ISO image.

I want to remove that drive now.

How do I do that safely without anything else ( Data, OS files etc ) getting deleted ?

I have never created a virtual drive before & I am not a techi.

Thank you.

A:How do I remove a Virtual drive?

Should have been instructions like these for Daemon Tools;

http://www.daemon-help.com/uninstallation_lite.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-remove-a-virtual-drive.107412/
Relevancy 31.82%

While setting up Photoshop CS4 they reccommended I update my display driver to use their opengl capabilities. I updated it and the opengl is having problems and won't work. Oddly, I'm pretty sure it was workign before I updated it, so how do I roll back to the previous one, without rolling back to the factory default?
I'm hesitant to use system restore because that causes such global changes that I never know what it will do. Besides, it makes deleted folders re appear empty as well as exe files. ><

A:Revert Display Driver to Previous? (not factory)

The rollback should reapply that last driver used before the upgrade was done, not the default (original) driver

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/revert-display-driver-to-previous-not-factory.123086/
Relevancy 20.21%

In the interest of installing windows 7, I'm going to make a 30 or so gb partition on my c drive, because it is the fastest. But on April first, when windows expires, I'm going to have a usless 30 gb partition. How dfficult would it be to rejoin the partition with the rest of the drive? And obviously I will not care about sparing the data on the partition.

A:How easy is it to remove a partition?

It might be best to install the Beta Windows 7 on a clean drive
Then wipe (or remove) the partition, once completed testing

Being Beta, it is unknown precisely what damage it may cause to an existing OS

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-easy-is-it-to-remove-a-partition.119797/
Relevancy 27.95%

I recently flashed the BIOS on my P5N32-E SLI from 1404 to 1601, and when it was done, the board would no longer successfully POST with both of my 8800GTS 512s plugged in. Every time it POSTed it would fail either upon listing the CPU speed, or while searching for HDDs and optical drives. Problem disappeared when I removed my second 8800GTS. I wondered if maybe my power supply (460 watt Enermax, 33A +12V) was starting to fail, because it is a little low on juice to power an SLI system.

But it powered it just fine for about 4 months.

So that led me to believe that this BIOS flash has somehow caused the board to not want to POST anymore when both cards are plugged in. So I'm wondering if it's possible to flash my BIOS back to an older version, one that actually allows SLI to work.

EDIT: Fixed, see post 10.

A:"Update" BIOS to a previous version

IF you updated your Bios you might need to also go into it and re-enable SLI.

Check it out!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/update-bios-to-a-previous-version.118068/
Relevancy 20.21%

my laptop screen is suffering from stuck pixel problem. i used some software and videos that changes color rapidly to fix the stuck pixel, but that did not work. now the stuck pixels are grownig in numbers. is there any way to fix the stuck pixel problem. it's really annoying.:bounce:

A:how to remove stuck pixel in lcd?

Replace the LCD. Yes, there are urban legends about "fixing" stuck pixels, but they shouldn't appear in the first place. The LCD is bad and you should replace it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-remove-stuck-pixel-in-lcd.75311/
Relevancy 19.78%

I went to the link posted and it seemed to be nothing more than advertisements of possiblew places to purchase a memorex flash drive.

A:Memorex flash drive write protected. How do I remove it?

6 days of waiting & counting?

As risky and distasteful as it sounds, those flash drives are tied down with an OS, and can be freed by following the "uninstall" link when launched from the OS running on the fllash drive.

U3 Lauchpad was one such company. Uninstalling without the flash drive present would have violated the license agreement & forever would leave the flash drive boogered.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/memorex-flash-drive-write-protected-how-do-i-remove-it.113003/
Relevancy 20.21%

Here is the Video Card!

^ ^ That's the card, best 9600 on newegg! ^ ^

Anyway I was wondering if anyone knew how to take the cover off. I know its blocking alot of the airflow, and it just makes it bigger than it actually is. The cover does look good but not when it's in the case and causing problems.

If anyone knows how to remove this hunk of plastic, tell me!

A:How can I remove 9600GT 1GB sonic cover?

Here's a big pic
http://www.bjorn3d.com/vimage.php?ver=2&folder=video/XFX 9600GT XXX&image=CARD_NAKED_BIG.jpg

And some info: http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1257&pageID=4669

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-remove-9600gt-1gb-sonic-cover.113386/
Relevancy 20.21%

I recently received 2 one gig ram sticks.
However.. the cooling metal casing is too bulky to fit into my computer slots.
the ram is corsair - CM2X1024-6400C5DHX
Is it possible to remove the metal casing?

A:How do you remove the metal cooling case of RAM?

Hello there, I found this simple guide to removing the Heatspreaders on RAM modules.

It is important to note that removing the heatspreader will most probably void the warranty of the RAM.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-you-remove-the-metal-cooling-case-of-ram.110113/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hey guys first post here I have Bios or a through without the Bios Flashing Windows, previous a computer here that has a quot Flashing a Bios without Windows, or through the previous Bios BIOS Rom Checksum Error quot upon boot up The computer doesn t post and I can t get in the bios It does nothing but give me a black screen with that error and then the following line occasionally says Detecting IDE Atapi Device I have read around and think I need a new bios since the old one got cleared or corrupted in a CMOS Clr My question is how do I flash a new bios without windows or through the old bios I have tried using drdflash to make a boot disk with AWDFlash and my new bios version on it I have an external floppy plugged in through USB that didn t seem to do anything I also tried an old floppy I had lying around that I plugged into the IDE that didn t seem to do anything Did I do the boot disk wrong Is that not my problem Am I going about it completely wrong It s an Asus Striker motherboard Q Chip running Windows if any of that helps Thanks guys I look forward to your replies nbsp

A:Flashing a Bios without Windows, or through the previous Bios

read:http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic75555.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/flashing-a-bios-without-windows-or-through-the-previous-bios.107274/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hey gang,
I know it's my first post but I am trying to remove a dual boot on my PC. Currently has Ubuntu and WinXP..Trying to remove Ubuntu...and to move all existing storage back to WinXP partition. I am trying to use a WinXP setup disk but whenever I boot with CD in the drive, it seems to skip the CD and heads straight into the Operating System...Do I need to enter the CMOS to get it to boot from CD in this case? Thanks gang.

A:Newbie trying to remove dual boot

sometimes you do have to enter the BIOS before boot, and select boot order, change to CD-rom as primary. Sometimes there will be another hot key to just change boot order without entering BIOS. On mine if I hit F8 from the very beginning I get a boot menu, if I wait to long then windows ask for safe mode

Either way afterwards it should say "push any key to boot from CD" when you start the computer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/newbie-trying-to-remove-dual-boot.106396/
Relevancy 32.25%

my motherboard has a previous settings of a 256mb_memory and a 40gig_harddisk

-after I replaced the old 40gig HD, with an 80gig HD and the old 256mb_DDR with a 512mb_DDR...
>the mobo always recognizes the old HD and the old Memory

-I removed the new HD and booted w/out the HD
>still the mobo recognizes the old 40gig_HD and is asking for a system disk

-tried to reset modem by removing the CMOS...
>still it won't work, it still recognizes the old HD and the old DDR

-what to do?

A:Mobo always detects previous hardware

Run CMOS Optimized defaults

Or reset CMOS, refer to your manual on which pins to open or short.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mobo-always-detects-previous-hardware.105289/
Relevancy 20.21%

OK, so I backed up a crap load of songs from my desktop to my extrnal hard drive. but i guess protected audio files got messed up and now I have to download the license which only last on an average for 30 days. Anyone know a way to remove the protection encryption? thanks so much.

A:Remove WMP file protection

Fair Use should remove the DRM copy protection, from Here

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/remove-wmp-file-protection.104931/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi All,

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 and I keep getting this black screen on startup that says "Previous fan failure" and something like press f1 to resume or f2 to run setup. I figured I would call Dell and order a new replacement fan but they harped about not having it in stock and whatnot. I'd like to know if I could go to a local store like Best Buy or Fry's and buy a replacement part, and if so, what should I be purchasing exactly? Any help is most appreciated. Thanks---

A:Need help: "Previous fan failure" on startup

I think it's a proprietary item. If Dell is out of stock, check Ebay. See here.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-previous-fan-failure-on-startup.104281/
Relevancy 19.78%

why does lately evrytym i safely remove my flash drive the pop up message that says " u can now safely remove hardware" does not appear anymore and it only beeps?

this problem started when i installed the driver of my new printer. i think this is bacause that my printer is connected to the usb and evrytym i turn on my printer it is considered a removable device and the green arrow in the system tray comes out..
can someone help me pls....

A:Safely remove hardware pop up meassgae prblem.. hel pls.

"why does lately evrytym i safely remove my flash drive the pop up message that says " u can now safely remove hardware" does not appear anymore and it only beeps?"...

This is normal. Any time a USB device including a printer is inserted or removed you should hear a sound. The "you can now safely remove hardware" comes up now and then. You don't need to worry about it.

"evrytym" What? You don't like vowels? (every time)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/safely-remove-hardware-pop-up-meassgae-prblem-hel-pls.103973/
Relevancy 32.25%

Ok so my problem was that my toshiba laptop was not booting up. It kept trying and giving me choices on how to boot up but always brought me back to that. Someone told me to use the restore Cd that came with the computer, but unfortunately the Cd was lost and my laptop is still not fixed. What can I do now?

A:Previous Problem not fixed

Only one but it flashes too fast for me too read. The screen is blue and the words are white, that's all I can tell you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/previous-problem-not-fixed.99456/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi,

I just bought a new Dell laptop (my first laptop), and one thing that irritates me is that after the normal Dell bootscreen with the chip logo, etc., I get a 2nd advertisement screen with a blue bar at the top that ways "www.dell.com" before the OS load.

Look, the laptop cover says Dell on it, the initial boot-up screen says it too, and for $#@$# sake - I bought the computer FROM DELL. So why are they shoving their brand down my throat????

Anyway, is there any (safe for computer users with above average but not programmer-level skills) way to remove that useless website ad page from the boot process?

Thanks!

A:Remove Dell Boot Ad?

Umm No

It's embedded into your system bios, I would recommend to leave it alone.
ie Faulty BIOS - Computer won't start !

Others may reply regarding splash screen in CMOS, and logo.sys
My answer to them - Still No

Turn on the computer, go and get a coffee !

Solved!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/remove-dell-boot-ad.98830/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi,
Yeah, you may think this seems like just a normal message from oc'ing too much, but a problem-I haven't overclocked anything! It booted to that point, then my hard drive went mad clicking and crashed. This was after it being turned on and off to see if my graphics card was booting because I had no video, but it turned out I had just been downright stupid and plugged it into the onboard graphics. Anyone know what could have happened? Thanks

P.S. would the power drawing thing (molex on my case fan) need to have a seperate connector or just draw power from another device? Thanks.

A:'Previous overclock settings failed, default settings enabled'

If this happens just once then I wouldn't worry about it too much but the PSU or HDD could have something to do with it.

You can connect a molex connector fan to its own power connector or you can put it on an optical drive's connector for example, but it's ok to do either as they don't use much power.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/previous-overclock-settings-failed-default-settings-enabled.94954/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hai,
I am getting this error when i am restarting the PC i.e
"Remove disk or other media
Press any key to restart",

Please respond that how can i move ahead with this problem by resolving....

A:Remove disk or other media

um, do you have a CD or floppy in the the drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/remove-disk-or-other-media.93105/
Relevancy 20.21%

i get this error after i installed new mobo how to to resolve this please if anyone knows about this please tell me error "remove disks or other media press any key to reboot"

thanks

A:Remove disk or other media

The computer is not booting from your hard drive.

Since you are asking this question here, maybe you should find someone to help with your new motherboard? A mobo swap is not that trivial unless you are putting in an identical model.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/remove-disk-or-other-media.92698/
Relevancy 32.68%

​I'm using a Dell Dimension 8200. I got this error and the fan stopped working about 2 months ago. About 5 days later, My fan that stopped working, started working again like nothing ever happened. I didnt have to replace the fan. Now all of a sudden, it stopped working again. I even put a replacement fan in there and that didnt work either.

So If anyone can tell me what the issue is, I would be greatful

A:Previous Fan Failure........Again

im not an expert on laptops so please take it into account. im guessing theres a short or malfunction in the circuitry controlling your fan speed, but i dont know of a way to test my theory. i'll do some research but doubt i'll find anything

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/previous-fan-failure-again.92550/
Relevancy 20.21%

We are not wanting to overload our computer with programs
that cause problems with other areas, so we would like to be
able to use vlc or windows media player or nero, to somehow
remove/erase those nasty voice dub-overs on movies so we
can plainly hear the real movie [and english voices] that is/are
still to be heard in the background.

A:How do you remove voice dub-overs on avi. files?

I'm not sure....but I think you would need the english track and have vlc use that instead of the track that you originally have. I might be wrong...but I don't think you can remove it, you can only replace it...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-you-remove-voice-dub-overs-on-avi-files.90701/
Relevancy 19.78%

hi

Is anyone can help me removing the bios password on my dell d620 laptop
This is the service tag: 35XXT2J-595B
Express service code: 68-896-825-39

please if anyone can help let me know i have been going on on that for 2 months now......

cybernet

A:remove dell D620 BIOS PASSWORD

Please bother to read the FAQS: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic86309.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/remove-dell-d620-bios-password.90244/
Relevancy 20.21%

When I turn On my laptop latitude D620 it won't load it requires some kind of password
Could someone send me a master password to [email protected] ?
The Service Tag is: 67V3L1S
(#67V3L1S-595B)

Many thanks

A:Need remove pass Dell D620

nanhtuan81 said:

When I turn On my laptop latitude D620 it won't load it requires some kind of password
Could someone send me a master password to [email protected] ?
The Service Tag is: 67V3L1S
(#67V3L1S-595B)

Many thanksClick to expand...

There are no master passwords.. if someone has put a password on the bios which it sounds like there is, the only way to get rid of it is to flash the bios chip, and i wouldn't do it yourself unless you know what your doing, so if you don't get someone who does.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-remove-pass-dell-d620.88050/
Relevancy 20.64%

I have an Asus Striker extreme motherboard that came with some PoS Soundmax card, i removed it and replaced it with my XFI extreme out of my old computer (put an audigy from the closet in the old computer) And i can't seem to find a way to remove Soundmax audio, looked under add/remove programs, device manager etc. Even tryed to disable it from bootup with msconfig.

Still loads and gives me a warning is all. Any help is appreciated. If you need any more info let me know.

A:Cannot Remove Soundmax

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go into your bios and disable your onboard sound. It`ll probably be found under onboard peripherals. Then, save and exit bios.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-remove-soundmax.87369/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi guys,
today i bought a C600 laptop (second hand) and now i donīt have the administrator password. On the system is "Win XP Professional", now I want to install my own. The win is secured by a password and @ bios you have to type a administrator password to change the boot device.
"This computer system, #26JT50J-595B", is protected by a password...blabla.."

I have already changed the primary password but i dont know how to get the admin pw.

Please help me! PS I already have read most of the Dell BIOS Password thread.

A:DELL C600 Administrator Password

Dell C600 Admin Password

Hi I had the same problem so I telphoned Dell Tech they said in order to delete the password I had to install an earlier bios and the reistall the updated bios they said this would delete any passwords.
Hope this helps

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-c600-administrator-password.85082/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hello my friend i have a dell Latitude d800
Service tag : GSSWP31-595B
EXPRESS SERVICE CODE : 36570125053
email : [email protected]
i wait......
Thank you for you coperation.....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-latitude-d800-remove-password.84366/
Relevancy 26.23%

I need help on my notebook. I have a latitude CPx latitude and i need the administrator password... i need change the boot secuence. Can someone please help me!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpx-latitude-and-i-need-the-administrator-password.84340/
Relevancy 20.64%

I posted a while back, but i still have the same problem with the same laptop its a Laitude D600, when i turn it on it takes me to this white page with HDD Password Lock...

Hard-disk #429F4JMAY4A-595B, the system Primary Hdd, is protected by a password authentication system. You cannot access data on this hard drive without the correct password.

I've tryed everything, dell,Dell,DELL, www.dell.com, 123456,123456789,123456654321 and more but nothing works it keeps me at the white screen

The hard drive is HTACHI, Travelstar

Any Help I Get, I Will Do

A:Hdd Password Remove Help

You must be a system administrator to change HDD passwords. If not, you will need to format and reload the OS on the HDD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-password-remove-help.80855/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have recently lost the ability to add/remove programs. I have Windows XP and when I go to add/remove programs the button no longer apears to remove any of the programs. How can I fix this? It lists the programs and some of the programs do not indicate any storage space used. I would greatly appreciate any help at all. It only lists the size and used "rarely" etc. Please help.

A:Add/Remove Program problems - help

Have you tried to remove a program with this happening? It may still work. The "add/remove programs" panel sometimes gets a little out of sorts (like you are describing) but will still function. Check it out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/add-remove-program-problems-help.81448/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hello everyone Previous setup key to f1 F2 utility continue, the Failure Alert! Fan run Strike to I have been receiving the following message for over a year now Alert! Previous Fan Failure Strike the f1 key to continue, F2 to run setup utility Alert Previous Fan Failure Strike the f key to continue F to Alert! Previous Fan Failure Strike the f1 key to continue, F2 to run setup utility run setup utility The entire screen is blank with this text only followed by beeps Normally I just strike the F key to continue the pc boots and everything runs fine recently my pc has begun to shut itself off after about - mins I am wondering could the above message message be causing this If so why did it take so long for something like this to occur How do I check to see if the fan has failed Is there more than one fan Are fans easy to replace Where do I get one If the fan is not the cause do you have any possible suggestions as to What might be the cause I realize I should have addressed this issue A long time ago I want to get this fixed these shutdowns are very Annoying Here are some details of my P C DELL Dimension P GHZ Purchased in years old Windows Home XP SP Gig hard drive RDRAM memory Thanks for any replies responses nbsp

A:Alert! Previous Fan Failure Strike the f1 key to continue, F2 to run setup utility

Well it must be the fan. probably on the cpu. If this is the case when you ignore this you allowing the cpu too run with no cooling and it shuts off when it overheats. seeing as how you have a Pentium 4 from back in 02 its probably a socket 478.

its pretty straight foward changing this fan old off new on. but to make sure remove the side panel on you computer and when you power it up there should be a fan some what to the top of the mainboard if it doesnt spin then you know thats your problem. If thats the case heres a decently priced fan for your needs>>> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1800600&CatId=795
and after you fix the fan problem id upgrading to SP2

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/alert-previous-fan-failure-strike-the-f1-key-to-continue-f2-to-run-setup-utility.80408/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi,
Please I have problem on my Laptop,
Please Can you Help me out,Because i could see you have help a whole lot of people..

Service Tag #DM7GQ1J-595B

Thanks

Indubious

A:Administrator Password On Dell Latitude D510

Hi Indubious_ashie and welcome to the TS Forum :wave:

have you read this thread here ? or been to my website, if not then do so and all the help you need is there.

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/administrator-password-on-dell-latitude-d510.80531/
Relevancy 20.21%

Anybody knows how to remove Fujitsu Lifebook N3410 keyboard?

A:remove fujitsu N3410 keyboard

The screws on the bottom.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/remove-fujitsu-n3410-keyboard.78344/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi! I bought Dell D620 Latitude Laptop over E-bay and it seems to be locked. :suspiciou
Is there someone who can help me? It's a security password and I can't boot a single program or do anything without that. I try to find motherboard jumper but there isn't any. ANY BRIGHT SOLUTIONS? (crack program, tag security password generator or something like that)

A:Dell Password Remove?

Hi pulp, welcome to TechSpot! :wave:

Lots of info is available here.

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-password-remove.78111/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have got a pendrive of 1 gb, and it is partitioned in to 2 partition ie. 900mb and 25mb. I want to remove both partition and make it 1 partition. Can any one help me out?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-remove-pen-drive-partition.77953/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi,

Can someone help me?

I download my photos from my digital camera to my computer via a memory card however for some reason, this card, or the drive, won't read if the "safely remove hardware" icon isn't present in my task bar and I can't get my photos!!!
Does anyone know HOW to get the icon back (is it conflicting with something??) or how else I can get my photos.
I have a few photo editing programs but I can't "acquire" the photos as it doesnt even show that drive exists!!!

Thanks for your help..

A:Safely Remove Hardware icon disappears!!

Welcome to TechSpot

What Windows version are you using? What sort of card-reader?
Go to Control Panel/System and check if there are any yellow or red signs in Device Manager.
Your USB-drivers might be corrupt.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/safely-remove-hardware-icon-disappears.21999/
Relevancy 20.21%

I Pretty Much Know What's Wrong With It I Just Need To Know How To Fix It!!!

A:How do I remove the bios password?

I am sorry to laugh at your plight, but both the title and your comment leads
to no insight whatsoever. I can fix it too -- it's called reinstall :blackeye:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-remove-the-bios-password.72471/
Relevancy 26.23%

all,

I work in an office where the IT manager has limited restrictions on certain things where an error message comes up saying you need an administrator password to install certain programs such as spybot and spyware blaster. Also my msconfig access has been restricted but weirdly enough I have access to change the registry. Is there anyway, other than knowing the admins password to be able to run and install these programs and get my msconfig back without him knowing.

any help will be awesome

thanks in advance

A:Need help getting past administrator restrictions

Gaining unauthorised access to computer systems is most certainly against your company policy and I'm pretty sure it can be considered illegal too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-getting-past-administrator-restrictions.70552/
Relevancy 20.21%

the hdd was damages and then removed and replaced. i had it sent to a little company and was not able to remove my hardware/files.

A:hdd damage can u still remove my hardware/files to keep

Doesn't make much sense..

You sent your computer to a repair shop and they replaced the hard drive. Now you are worried that someone may be able to read your files on the broken hard drive?

This is certainly possible, depending on what was wrong with the drive and how much someone is willing to invest in getting access to your data.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-damage-can-u-still-remove-my-hardware-files-to-keep.70695/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi:grinthumb :wave:

I want to change my stock fan and heat shink to one of Zalman's.

My CPU: Intel Pentium 4 HT
Socket: 478
My computer: Sony Vaio PCV-RZ504

The only problem I have is that I cant get the darned fan off,

Thanks for any help

A:How to remove an Intel fan/heatshrink

Can you take a close-up image of what you have? I have a good idea you have that large heat sink over CPU. Take a bit of time to remove though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-remove-an-intel-fan-heatshrink.70296/
Relevancy 19.35%

I have uninstalled Microsoft Flight Simulator X Demo, but it is still in the add and remove programs in the control panel. Can someone tell me how to get it out of there?
Thanks
[email protected]

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/removing-microsoft-flight-simulator-x-demo-in-the-add-and-remove-control-panel.68893/
Relevancy 20.21%

I received a Dell computer, on which they had partitioned 40 gigs of the installed hard drive for 'Backup'. I already back up everything on an external and would like to consolidate this partitioned space into my primary partition; hence removing the partition. Any quick ways to do this? I am running XP sp2.

Thanks and good luck!

Signed,
Alex Trebek

A:Remove useless partition

Well, frankly, I would just delete the existing data and use the partition as-is,
unless it's NOT ntfs -- then reformat into NTFS.

If you have a special reason for fighting with that, then Partition Magic will
delete / combine partitions.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/remove-useless-partition.68475/
Relevancy 17.2%

Hey guys, pardon me if this is a n00b question, but I just got a flash drive, and do I have to use the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the system tray, or can I just pull the drive out of the USB port?
thx

A:Do I have to use "Safely Remove Hardware"?

hey

It is not nessesary to use the safley remove hardware icon, but I would highley recomend it. A USB jump drive works just like a hard drive. Once the drive has been initialized if it is not shut down properly before removal it is rough on the drive. It can easily cause early failure of the drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/do-i-have-to-use-safely-remove-hardware.66049/
Relevancy 20.21%

Should I leave the thermal pad that comes with the fan, or remove it and use thermal paste??

A:remove thermal pad from qx6700???

The thermal pads that come with CPUs are typically fine, but thermal paste, especially if it is arctic silver, will bring your temps down a few degrees. If you are going to overclock then use the paste. If you have some paste, you may as well use it either way.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/remove-thermal-pad-from-qx6700.66304/
Relevancy 26.23%

I have a dell inspiron 4000 and i have been using it for about a year but all of a sudden i turned it on one day and it asked for an administrator password...but i never set a password. Is there a secret for getting past this or do i have to reinstall windows or something? PLEASE HELP i need to use the computer!!!

A:Lost administrator password!!??

There is a way to fix this. If you look on the Microsoft Web Page you see that you have to make a CD which allows you to change the administrator password. Just follow the steps and you don't have to re-install Windows.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-administrator-password.65546/
Relevancy 19.35%

Sorry about the vague subject line but I Problems SP2 hardware tray. in and icon after Safely installing appears IE7. remove really have no clue what s going on here A couple of days ago I installed SP on my computer along with IE Then my computer started showing this weird icon in the area next to the clock that said safely remove hardware so I clicked on that and saw my USB printer and others that said quot USB mass storage device quot knowing that I didn t have any flash drive Problems after installing SP2 and IE7. Safely remove hardware icon appears in tray. connected I clicked the stop button for each of the devices except the printer Now I cannot get my USB drive or my internal card reader to be recognized by the computer I tried removing the card reader in the hardware profile and then disconnecting it from the motherboard rebooting and then powering down and re-connecting and it still won Problems after installing SP2 and IE7. Safely remove hardware icon appears in tray. t work What s worse it that the USB drive will not function in any of my USB ports Please help Just Problems after installing SP2 and IE7. Safely remove hardware icon appears in tray. a little add on to my previous post now when I try to take pics off my printer it says cannot access device If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-after-installing-sp2-and-ie7-safely-remove-hardware-icon-appears-in-tray.63977/
Relevancy 20.21%

I am new to this site i have worked on my computers for ever .I started out with windows 3.1 to date but for the life of me I cant seem to get in to the back of my hp laptop to repair the power connector can any one walk me tru it ! Thanks

A:how to remove the back on a hp laptop ze5170

WOW, windows 3.1, I haven't even seen one of those systems, to long ago for me to remember

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-remove-the-back-on-a-hp-laptop-ze5170.63926/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi evrybody

I have an Emachines that doesn't work where the PC start and the monitore led never turn to green and the power led is still amber.
I tried another video card but no result
I tried another power supplies still the same problem
Now I am trying to remove the motherboard to have it start out of the case, I removed all the screws from the motheboard but it is locked and I can't move it from the case.
Is anybody knw how to remove it?

Thank you for your help

henmil

A:Emachinces Motherboard remove

look for a plastic clip
taking out of case may not fix it,but it is easyer to work on
sounds like memory issue @@
did you try reset the cmos?
clean the parts (dust off)**
check all contacts wipe done same real good
start with just the cpu and 1 stick of memory
make sure it is unplugged when reset cmos
unplug HDD and cd-rom dvd-rom
boot up, do you get a bios screen on boot?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/emachinces-motherboard-remove.63824/
Relevancy 19.78%

The technical support people say if I can change the keyboard myself, then they'll simply ship me a new keyboard which I would have to change myself. Otherwise, I will have to send them the laptop which is a lot of hassle and the shipping would suck

Can anyone here help me remove/replace the keyboard for an Acer Aspire 5672WLMi ??

A:How do I Remove keyboard of my Acer Aspire 5672 laptop ?

bluezz said:

The technical support people say if I can change the keyboard myself, then they'll simply ship me a new keyboard which I would have to change myself. Otherwise, I will have to send them the laptop which is a lot of hassle and the shipping would suck

Can anyone here help me remove/replace the keyboard for an Acer Aspire 5672WLMi ??Click to expand...

Look's like you got the answer here......

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=85490
Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-remove-keyboard-of-my-acer-aspire-5672-laptop.62040/
Relevancy 20.21%

I m trying to erase the HDD s of several laptops so that they can be donated to various programs Doing so requires that I Change the boot order Booting Media Other Disks FDD: Remove When or from in the BIOS pop in When Booting from FDD: Remove Disks or Other Media floppy and restart computer perform the wipe to DOD standards verify that the drive was completly wiped Well on several of the machines when I restart I get Remove disks or other media Press any key to restart which I do only to have the computer try to run Windows like it would normally I then start over When Booting from FDD: Remove Disks or Other Media by restarting entering the BIOS to verify that the first boot device is the FDD which it is as well as verifying that the HDD is being recognized in these instances it has been but I ll get to my other problem later I exit BIOS let it boot and get you guessed it Remove disks or other media Press any key to restart each time this happens I am booting a PC DOS floppy to run Norton GDisk to wipe the drives If I use another utility Autoclave v it boots directly from the floppy and I can wipe the drive The only problem with using Autoclave is that I can t verify the drive has been completly wiped using Norton Diskedit because when I restart the computer it doesn t detect a HDD and my job requires that EACH drive be checked and if necessary re-wiped or degaussed destroyed If anyone can give me some insight as to exactly what is happening and what I can do try to get past these problems I would be appreciative If more info is needed from me just ask and I ll do my best to provide it nbsp

A:When Booting from FDD: Remove Disks or Other Media

You could also create a bootable CD instead of using a floppy. All you need is the bootable floppy and a CD burning program that knows how to make bootable CDs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/when-booting-from-fdd-remove-disks-or-other-media.59225/
Relevancy 71.81%

hi everyone,
can anyone tell me how to set my owner tag and asset tag on my dell latitude d610?

A:need to set owner tag and asset tag on dell d610

Dell makes available to enterprise IT departments a little utility for this. You put it on a bootable floppy and run the utility from the DOS cammand line to set these fields. It might be on the driver CD/DVD. If not, search Dell's website or contact their support.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-to-set-owner-tag-and-asset-tag-on-dell-d610.58476/
Relevancy 20.21%

hi..

can anyone please help me about this...

when i open my computer it tells me to remove other disk or media...theres no disks inserted on my drive...

Thanks...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/remove-other-disk-or-media.58244/