Windows Support Forum

"Local Disk" folder in Music Library

Q: "Local Disk" folder in Music Library

If I go to the music library, then Sample Music, which has 3 sample files, it also has a folder named local disk.

Its empty, but right clicking and viewing properties shows it has 3 files and 4 folders, and is 400 bytes in size. It was created during the OSs install date, and is shared.

What is the purpose of this folder? I have hidden files to be showed enabled.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: "Local Disk" folder in Music Library

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: "Local Disk" folder in Music Library

That folder does not belong there. It must have gootten in there with an erroneous manipulation.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/347639-local-disk-folder-music-library.html
Relevancy 104.92%

I'm still a little unclear on exactly how I managed to accomplish this feat Just did a clean install of Pro and was relocating my User lt directory gt s to their respective drives as I have done numerous times with I had just pointed Music 2nd now is library a "Music" library "Download" to the drive where my GB collection resides My next "Download" library is now a 2nd "Music" library quot move quot was with Downloads As I started the process I remember seeing an extra message about moving all the files to the new location It was going on am so I just accepted it Next thing I knew I had two quot Music quot directories One has the usual blue musical note while the other has a blue downward pointing arrow most often reserved for Downloads However if I delete a file in one it is deleted in both directories Quite depressing all in all My attempts to restore it to its original state have failed I have seen several similar posts at this and other forum s but none are exactly like what I have done I don't know if I could try running a repair or if I'm either just going to have to live with this or reinstall the whole shooting match So I'm hoping someone can help me un-fubar my directory Thanks MD

A:"Download" library is now a 2nd "Music" library

User Folders - Restore Default Location - Windows 7 Help Forums I've done a similar error in the past. I just restored the default locations, and unchecked the box asking to move the files. Then cleaned up the folder contents, and moved them again.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/60886-download-library-now-2nd-music-library.html
Relevancy 102.77%

I have almost 2 Gb of music on my computer that I'd hate to lose. And hate to have to rebuy or redownload too.

So what I'm wondering is... can I back up all that music on 3-4 700mb disks as a data disk instead of making a 70 minute music disk?

I have Sonic RecordNow that I use for music burning and data backup. I'm just wondering if it is possible to back up 1/3 of it in a folder as a data disk, and do the same for the other parts.

Possible? Would this work?

It would make much more sense to have 4 disks that although you could not PLAY them in a CD player as the songs would be stored in a folder on it, to just be able to copy them out onto another computer instead of making 20+ audio CD's.

Would my idea work? Help me out guys...

A:Backing up music as a "data" disk instead of a "audio" disk? Possible?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/backing-up-music-as-a-data-disk-instead-of-a-audio-disk-possible.461557/
Relevancy 101.05%

Referencing this earlier forum posting and answer: http://forums.techguy.org/multimedia/710391-solved-itunes-cant-find-my.html

I followed the same steps as directed and was able to successfully restore my entire music library, which is great! However, all my Playlists are now empty. Did I permanently lose them? I find it hard to believe that they are not mapped somehow and even if the files moved locations that I would lose all the data contained in them.

I have a complete back-up on another drive. How can I move the backed up Playlists over to my main iTunes account? Thank you for any assistance you can provide me to remedy this very frustrating and time consuming problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/itunes-lost-my-music-library-and-now-upon-restoration-my-playlists-are-all-empty.1033901/
Relevancy 100.19%

After Avast did a full scan it listed some files it could not find. They were in the /appdata/local/opera mail/opera mail folder/ So I went to check and found 2 identical "Local" folders. I have a full backup copy of the hard drive which is only a month old and it has only 1 local folder. The only difference between is the addition of the Opera standalone mail program. Everything seems to work OK and no error messages except for the one from Avast. I did scan the files it could not scan and found no problems. Can anyone explain this to me?
Michael

A:Duplicate "local" folder in "AppData"

Please post a screenshot that shows the problem:
Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/312010-duplicate-local-folder-appdata.html
Relevancy 99.76%

Newbie here. I have searched around for a while but have not found a post with my exact situation.

I just installed a new Seagate Momentus 500gb (7200rpm) SATA drive in my Lenovo X61 laptop and have been working on a installation of Windows7 Ultimate.

Not realizing this was an upgrade install disk, I tried to install Win7. I didn't know about the clean install method, so I started over with an installation of WinXP (slipstreamed to deal with the SATA drive).

Next, I ran the Custom Installation upgrade to Win7.

So far, it seems to be working ok.

However, the Local Drive is D: instead of C:. The System Reserved drive in labeled C:. Should I be concerned? Should/Can I change this?

Attached are screenshots of Disk Management and explorer window.

Thank you for any info.
-Nate

A:"System Reserved (C:)" and "Local Disk (D:)" ??

Try removing the System Reserved drive letter in Disk Management to see if Win7 claims C instead. It sometimes works.

There is no reason you can't operate with Win7 as D even though it is meant to always assume the C letter unless it's installer is run from another OS.

But if you do I would not allow a drive letter for SysReserved as programs can write to and corrupt it, especially the ability to make Win7 backup images.

Now that you know you can clean install Win7 without needing XP on the HD, I would strongly consider booting the installer to do a Custom install, choose Drive Options to Delete all partitions, Create new as you wish, then Format before installing to first partition after SysReserved it will create for you. The installer will see an OS at boot to allow use of Upgrade version key upfront during install.

Here are tips to get a perfect reinstall - use the ones which apply: Clean Reinstall steps

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/179878-system-reserved-c-local-disk-d.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Hello All,

I really hope someone can help me with this highly irritating problem.

I have vista home premium. In the regular Windows Media player I have all the proper cd covers. In the Media Center, Music Library, MANY of the cd covers are replaced with "Upgrade to Plus" graphics from musicmatch. I uninstalled musicmatch, but of course the problem didn't go away.. plus there were still folders (now deleted) left behind and a bunch of registry entries (not deleted, but nothing obviously related to my problem) still there.

Please, can someone help me get rid of this musicmatch virus. MusicMatch doesn't offer any support unless you buy the Plus version, which is disgraceful.

Thank You.

A:"Upgrade to Plus" icons in my VMC music library

If the "Upgrade to Plus" is in the mp3 tags, then you're going to have to use WMP to find the right album art and update the tags.

Here's an uninstall guide from MM tech support:

The following steps will take you through a very thorough uninstall and reinstall of Musicmatch Jukebox:

Step 1: Make sure all Musicmatch applications are shut down.
- Close Musicmatch Jukebox.
- Open the Task Manager (use the CTRL+SHIFT+ESCAPE key-combination on your keyboard.)
- Click the "Processes" tab.
- Click the "Image Name" column title to sort the list alphabetically.

If any of the following applications appear in the list, highlight the application then click the "End Process" button:

mmjb.exe
mim.exe
mimboot.exe
mmdiag.exe
mm_Tray.exe
mm_TDMEngine.exe
mmjbburn.exe
mmjblaunch.exe
mm_server.exe

Note: Ending a process may take several seconds. You may see a message
indicating that the application is not responding during this time. This
is normal. Simply click the "End Now" button if you see this message.

- Exit the Task Manager.

Step 2: Uninstall Musicmatch Jukebox using Add/Remove Programs
- Click the Start button on the Windows taskbar.
- Click "Control Panel".
- Click "Add or Remove Programs".
- Select "Musicmatch Jukebox".
- Click the "Change/Remove" button.
- Select "Yes" if you are asked to verify that you want to remove any shared files.
- Reboot your PC.

Step 3: Remove any leftover files that were not automatically removed during uninstall.
- Delete any remaining Musicmatch Jukebox shortcuts from your desktop
- Close any applications that are currently running on your system.
This includes any system tray applications (next to the clock on the Taskbar.)
- Right-click on the Start button.
- Click "Explore".
- Navigate to the folder where Musicmatch was installed:

Example: C:\Program Files\

- Locate the "Musicmatch" directory, highlight it and press the delete key on your keyboard.
- Confirm that you want to delete it.
- Navigate to the Windows Temp directory

Example: C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp

- Delete the files and folders in the Temp directory. Note: Any files that are in use will not be deleted.
- Navigate to the application data folder on your hard drive:

Example: C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\

- Locate the "Musicmatch" directory, highlight it and press the delete key on your keyboard.
- Confirm that you want to delete it.

Note: Replace "user" with your Windows account name. The Local Settings folder is a system folder and may be hidden. To unhide system folders
follow the instructions at the following URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx

Step 4: Remove leftover registry entries that were not automatically removed during uninstall.
- Click the Start button.
- Click "Run"
- In the "Open" field type: regedit
- Click OK.

The Windows Registry editor should now be open. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU FOLLOW THE NEXT STEPS EXACTLY!

- In the left window pane you will see six main folders.
- Click the + next to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" folder.
- Click the + next to the "Software" subfolder.
- You will see a list of folders in alphabetical order. If a "Musicmatch" folder exists, highlight it then press the delete key on your keyboard.
- Click "Yes" when you are asked to verify that you want to delete the folder.
- Close the Windows registry editor.

- Restart your computer.

Step 5: Reinstall the Musicmatch Jukebox.
- Please download the setup file from the following URL:

http://www.musicmatch.com/download/free/?OS=pc&DID=999990944

To ensure a successful installation, please save the file to your desktop before running the installation. If the installation is
successful, please be certain to restart... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrade-to-plus-icons-in-my-vmc-music-library.548124/
Relevancy 96.32%

I found that a good way to install updates or programs is to disable everything non-OS so that only the OS is running msconfig Services tab check - Hide all Microsoft services Disable all Ok Exit without restart CCleaner Tools Startup Ctrl A except Avast right-click highlighted Disable Close CCleaner X in the top right right-click on the Avast icon in Sys Tray Avast shields control Disable permanently Restart computer - - - - - - Library Scheduler Start "Madness" & Task folder, Startup, - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Start folder, Startup, & Task Scheduler Library "Madness" - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - These are the issues I have I manually put these four in the quot Start quot folder There's no way to disable them from starting up Notepad quot C Office scratch txt quot Yahoo Mail Basic https us-mg mail yahoo com neo b launch long-string Sea Monkey Mail quot C Program Files SeaMonkey seamonkey exe quot -mail Natural Reader quot C Program Files Start folder, Startup, & Task Scheduler Library "Madness" naturalsoft naturalreader NaturalReader exe quot Power Menu writes itself to quot Startup quot but it does not startup and there's no icon in the Sys Tray unless I put a Shortcut to it in quot Start quot Power Menu quot C Program Files PowerMenu PowerMenu exe quot When Crystal Disk Info is set to run on Startup within the program it writes itself to the quot Task Scheduler Library quot There's no way to disable it from starting up I have to manually close it after a Restart quot C Program Files CrystalDiskInfo DiskInfo exe quot Avast won't let me Disable it through CCleaner or msconfig I have to manually Disable it with the icon in the Sys Tray Avast quot C Program Files AVAST Software Avast AvastUI exe quot nogui - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Is the best way to fix this to delete the programs from quot Startup quot above where possible and to enter them into a folder in the quot Task Scheduler quot called quot Startup with the Trigger quot At log on of any user quot That's how Crystal Disk Info is set up If I created a folder in quot Task Scheduler quot called quot Startup quot I see that I can't move the Crystal Disk Info item to a different folder It looks like I would have to re-enter it manually So if everything were in the quot Task Scheduler quot quot Startup quot folder I could then highlight items within it and right-click to disable them

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/75610-start-folder-startup-task-scheduler-library-madness.html
Relevancy 96.32%

Hello I have created a library called integrate I view? Question: Can "Arrange the by Library Folder" quot America quot and put folders into it quot East quot Library Question: Can I integrate the "Arrange by Folder" view? quot West quot quot North quot and quot South quot Each of these regional folders real folders not libraries contains a separate folder for each state in that region Thus the quot West quot folder contains folders called quot California quot quot Oregon quot etc Lastly each state folder contains all types of files pertaining to the specific state When I open the quot America quot library I would like to see an integrated and alphabetized listing of ALL the state folders quot Alabama quot quot Alaska quot quot Arkansas quot etc However when I configure the library to sort by folder it sorts the state folders by name but only WITHIN their respective regions That's not my vision I'm looking for an integrated A-to-Z list of all the folders across all the regions Alternatively if I select the quot Sort by name quot option then all the state folders disappear and they are replaced by a very long list of all the component files -- it's an integrated alphabetized list good but of files bad not the state folders that contain them Can anyone suggest a clever tweak to move me closer to my vision Thanks Jay

A:Library Question: Can I integrate the "Arrange by Folder" view?

possibly you could arrange them manually,
this tutorial here will allow you to move the folders around to suit you preference

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/141738-library-question-can-i-integrate-arrange-folder-view.html
Relevancy 95.46%

i re installed my sytem with a partition off 100gb that had all my vids so normally the local disk "C" which is 60gb wod be dere jus for windows xp after re installin an stuff now the letters are mixed up my 100gb partition is now ready as "C" and my local disk is reading as "D" how do i change it back

A:local disk "C" has change to "D"

go to Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Disk Management window, if your D: drive is the Boot/System drive the only way to reset it is to reinstall Windows. Remove/Unplug what is now the C: drive. Once Windows is installed plug in the storage drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/local-disk-c-has-change-to-d-576643.html
Relevancy 95.03%

I accidentally deleted the entire My Pictures folder from my library. How do I get it back? I was trying to delete an album and it deleted the entire library of pictures. My photos are still in the Windows 8 library just not the My folders library. Any help will be appreciated!

A:I deleted the "My Pictures" folder from my library

Hello jbcarrere. Welcome to Eight Forums.

Open the recycle bin and select what you want to restore if you can.
(assuming they are still there)

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/23810-i-deleted-my-pictures-folder-my-library.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi all this originally started with an issue with the wireless I recently installed a D-Link DIR- wireless router and did computer only" "local with Vista had with "local ethernet only" access wireless, now a basic setup giving it WPA security My Vista computer originally was able to connect to the router with Internet and before that to the modem directly with Ethernet but it was infected by the Vista Security virus which I removed after following some steps and MBAM Since then it can no longer connect to the wireless network so I Googled the issue and did a few things - Norton Remover - In command prompt ipconfig and netsh some commands that reset refreshed IP DNS or something along those lines - Going to wireless settings and disabling ipV - Going to wireless setting and manually giving it an IP Default Gateway DNS Vista computer had "local only" access with wireless, now "local only" with ethernet according to the specs that I found by using ipconfig on my working Windows laptop - Updating the Atheros driver to version Somewhere along the way I must ve nipped something important somewhere because now the Vista machine doesn t connect to the internet wirelessly NOR with the Ethernet cable attached Vista computer had "local only" access with wireless, now "local only" with ethernet The icon in the lower right hand corner shows that the machine sees the router but with Local Access only I ve done an ipconfig all with the machine and here are the results this is with ethernet attached Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Windows system gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name HomePC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR b g WiFi Adapter Physical Address - - B- A- E- A DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek RTL E Family PCI-E Fast Ethern et NIC NDIS Physical Address - F- - F-D - B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe cc c bf a c b cbf Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap CF B -A - C B- DA-FC A D br CD Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap AA -A C- F-AFBB-DC F br A Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap F AFB E -A E - B-A B -A B br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Conn... Read more

A:Vista computer had "local only" access with wireless, now "local only" with ethernet

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-computer-had-local-only-access-with-wireless-now-local-only-with-ethernet.1031986/
Relevancy 92.88%

I'm trying to unhide this folder and KEEP it unhidden because the backup software we are using cannot see hidden files. I go to properties, uncheck hide. It asks me if I want to unhide just the folder or all files and subfolders, I do all files and subfolders. No problem.

Then, when I reboot, I go to check it, and it's hidden again.

Is there any way to stop Windows from automatically hiding it on restart?

Relevancy 92.88%

EDIT:
Okay, I've solved the problem simply by creating a file named iconcache.db "using notepad" and marked it as "read only" via properties menu.
Hi all, and thanks for this site that I always use to solve my problems..

Every time I boot my computer the icons of programs and folders on desktop are black squares. After each startup I have to use a "rebuildiconcache.bat" file made by someone here to restore them -see attachment-.

When I navigate to appdata/local there is no IconCache.db "I enabled hidden files view".
I wish I could elaborate more.

could be a service that I disabled? here a list of them:

and thank you

A:Black desktop icons and no "IconCache.db" in local folder?

Why in the Sam Hello do you disable all those Services??

If I had to fix this computer I would do a Repair Install.
This tutorial by Brink should help.

Repair Install

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/377563-black-desktop-icons-no-iconcache-db-local-folder.html
Relevancy 92.45%

hi everyone
I want to know if i can change the default items that appear in the "SORT BY" menu for a music folder?
i mean when i open a music folder and try to sort its items i find these values
(Name , # , Title , Contributing Artists ,More)

but i usually want to sort it by "size" or "rank" , so i've to click the "More" menu item then add the sort values that i want to use ,and then i've to do this step in every music folder.

so i asked if there anyway that enables me to permanently change the sort items that appear in the "Sort By" menu?

A:How to change the default "Sort By" items for a music folder?

Click on Organise > Layout > Menu Bar to enable the menu.
You can then change the way things are sorted and grouped from within the View menu (Sort by and Group By).
Once you've done this, do Tools > Folder Options > View and the select Apply to Folders. However it may not change all of the views as Windows overrides some of them with it's preferred layout.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/206298-how-change-default-sort-items-music-folder.html
Relevancy 92.45%

When I reinstalled Windows recently I decided to move my user data folders to my D drive since C drive is a new SSD - I did this by using the location tab in the properties dialog Now when I click the start menu and click on my username to open my home folder it displays all my data folders EXCEPT My Music My Videos and My Pictures of course if I navigate to C users only Appdata is there since everything was moved to D users So I go to where the folders are stored on D drive and they are all home missing from Pictures/Videos/Music" "My folder there but when I go to properties for these three folders the quot location quot tab is not there Furthermore I remember the default save location for MS Paint is the pictures folder however "My Pictures/Videos/Music" missing from home folder now its default location is My Documents Same thing applies to Windows Live Movie Maker default should be Videos but it's defaulting to Documents I think this is related to the problem I described above Also when I click on the Pictures library or the videos or music library it says there is no folder included so I had to manually include the right folder from the D drive The attached screenshot sums it all up Of course when I saved it I just saved it in the default directory for Paint which happened to be MY DOCUMENTS

A:"My Pictures/Videos/Music" missing from home folder

Hello Marcus,

See if you may be able to use OPTION TWO in the tutorial below to restore those user folders back to their default location on C. User Folders - Restore Default Location
Afterwards, you could use what's recommended in the yellow Tip box at the top of the tutorial above, or try moving them back to D to see how they work afterwards. User Folders - Change Default Location
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/297361-my-pictures-videos-music-missing-home-folder.html
Relevancy 92.45%

i need help somehow i managed to lose me quot music my my "music" itune windows deleted work now folder vista in wont :( i quot folder in windows vista i was trying to make it so when i opened the music folder it went straight into data D drive so i would have heaps more i deleted my "music" folder in windows vista now my itune wont work :( room to fit all my music BUT it changed the name of the music folder into dataD now my itunes wont work and comes up with quot The folder quot iTunes quot cannot be found or created and is required The default i deleted my "music" folder in windows vista now my itune wont work :( location for this folder is inside the quot Music quot folder and alas this folder i do not have anymore i still have all my itunes and all my music but am unable to open it up from anywhere So please if anyone can help me with this would be much appreciated Is there anyway i deleted my "music" folder in windows vista now my itune wont work :( i can make a Music folder again like the original one you get i tried just making a normal folder named music but that didnt work at all PLEASE HELP nbsp

A:i deleted my "music" folder in windows vista now my itune wont work :(

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-deleted-my-music-folder-in-windows-vista-now-my-itune-wont-work.712353/
Relevancy 92.45%

Hello Have just installed Windows and is using it for a few weeks After installing and uninstalling various programs i have found out that whenever i view Local Disk Properties of any hard disk C for example the default tab in view is NOT the General Tab Normally whenever u bring up the Local Disk Properties you get the General tab as default meaning u see them first of all after opening the particular window however for my case it is this in default "General" Not Properties: default tab Local Disk view. as showing view instead http img imageshack us img menucr png General tab has gone to this position http img imageshack us img menu s png I know that this is kinda petty and does not affect functionality operation in any way but i hope that there is a registry edit fix to make the General tab the default view again I will not be reformatting at all since the hassle Local Disk Properties: Not showing "General" tab as default view. of reinstalling Local Disk Properties: Not showing "General" tab as default view. Windows and data is too great for this issue nbsp Regards nbsp

A:Local Disk Properties: Not showing "General" tab as default view.

Hi Johnson111,

Check if the registry key exists:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\ShellEx\PropertySheetHandlers\{5F5295E0-429F-1069-A2E2-08002B30309D}

If the above key does not exist, please perform the steps below to add the key:

1.     Click the "Start" button, type "regedit" (without quotation marks) in the "Search" bar, right click on the "regedit.exe" found in the list and then click "Run as administrator".
2.     Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\ShellEx\PropertySheetHandlers

3.     Right click the PropertySheetHandlers entry on the left pane, choose "Export", select "Desktop" in the "Save in" box and type "backup" (without quotation marks) in "File Name". Click "Save".

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named "backup.reg". We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the "backup.reg" file.

4.     Highlight the above key, click Edit -> New -> Key, add this key:  {5F5295E0-429F-1069-A2E2-08002B30309D}
5.     Exit Registry Editor.

Please check if the issue can be resolved.

If the issue persists, please run System File Checker by the steps below:

1.     Insert the Windows 7 installation DVD into the DVD-ROM; Click Exit if the auto-menu pops up.
2.     Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow. 

3.     At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Linda

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b8be256e-980f-4083-b4ae-b4c4d5c54b50/local-disk-properties-not-showing-quotgeneralquot-tab-as-default-view?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 92.02%

Hey all I recently upgraded from Windows to Windows and I'm loving it EXCEPT for this one problem I'm "Local Hard Disk" External inaccessible, Drive becomes having Immediately after I upgraded my external hard drive WD Ext HDD TB was missing from quot External Hard Drive inaccessible, becomes "Local Disk" My Computer quot I never had any problems with this HDD before I upgraded and the file-system is NTFS The external drive is visible in Disk Management however there is no letter assigned Right clicking on the drive's partitions in Disk Management shows every option grayed out except for quot Delete Volume quot Upon seeing this I attempted to use diskpart to assign a new letter however in diskpart the partition type is listed as quot unknown quot and when I attempt to assign a letter diskpart says quot there is no volume specified quot Listing volumes in diskpart only seems to list the volumes on my internal drive not the external one After reading some articles on similar problems I tried using the program quot MiniTool Partition Wizard quot to assign a new drive letter and it seemed to work The drive showed up in quot My Computer quot with the correct name and letter with all my data intact In Disk Management all the drive options were still grayed out but because I could access my drive I figured the problem was solved However after a short amount of time the drive became inaccessible In quot My Computer quot the drive's name changed from quot cmluepke tb external F quot to quot Local Disk F quot Clicking on quot Local Disk quot results in an error message At this point in time I can use quot MiniTool Partition Wizard quot to assign a new letter but after a variable amount of time - minutes the drive will become unavailable again Other things I have tried in order to solve this problem used many different USB ports plugged the external HDD's power cord directly into the wall rather than into power cord uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the HDD and for USB Mass Storage Device in Device Manager checked bios couldn't find options pertaining to the external drive ran chkdsk I have read into similar cases and heard that quot Delete Volume quot should fix the problem however I don't currently have a way to back up this much data I simply don't have space for tb of stuff anywhere else If that is really the only way to fix it I understand I just figured I'd check and make sure there wasn't anything else I could try before I delete and reformat Anyway sorry for the long post Let me know if you need any more information or if you have any ideas of things I could try

A:External Hard Drive inaccessible, becomes "Local Disk"

I had this exact same problem with a 16GB Toshiba thumb-drive a few days ago.
I'd been having heat-related shutdowns, and believe this to be what caused the issue in the first place.
Deleting the volume, then re-creating it allowed me to format and assign a drive-letter.
But yes, I did lose the (non-critical - a recorded TV show) data.
I'm not aware of any other 'fixes'.
Wenda.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/18196-external-hard-drive-inaccessible-becomes-local-disk.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Hello everyone I am currently a new registered user and was wondering if this was the correct place to post my problem I have a issue with my Local Disk C Drive and was wondering what was taking up so much space I have a TB hardrive currently on my Local Disk I have GB free of GB However when I add up what I can find when opening the Restore/"eating" Disk/System up space Local drive it doesn't add up anywhere near the GB that it says has been used Now I have currently installed CCleaner Eusing Regcleaner AVG Free and TreeSize all of which I have run various times still learning about TreeSize BEFORE I was getting scared because I had even less memory free approx GB of GB But after running a Disk Cleanup it knocked it down to it's current state It still doesn't explain how I have so much memory used My only thought now is that there are extra copies of my folders Local Disk/System Restore/"eating" up space and files Or most likely this has something to do with Vista's quot System Restore quot I am not very adept at using this PC Whatever advice you guys can give try to dumb it down for me and tell me where to go e g Control Panel gt Systems gt etc And my System Specs are incomplete because I don't even know where to go to get all that information So if you need to know something about my PC tell me where I might find it or just look at what I have for my System Spec Thank you very much I'll be checking my post at least once a day so I'll try to respond quick if any of you pros have an idea

A:Local Disk/System Restore/"eating" up space

Hello Mike, and welcome to Vista Forums.

This tutorial will help you see how much disk space is being used by System Restore and how to adjust the MAX size it can use. With a 1TB drive, it will have a high MAX by default.

System Restore - disk space

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/202066-local-disk-system-restore-eating-up-space.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Good evening people I did a clean windows recovery yesterday night left computer doing the work while I was asleep via HP recovery manager and today while setting it up I plugged in my external HDD for software installers and stuff not sure if the problem was disk" External "Local Hdd+ partition as show recovery present at the moment Later when I wanted External Hdd+ recovery partition show as "Local disk" to eject it and unplug it it didn't want to eject saying that something in it was in use although I was sure I closed everything in relation maybe a External Hdd+ recovery partition show as "Local disk" process was still on but I unplugged it anyways thinking that the ejection is not crucial for mass storage devices then when I plugged it back in later it showed as Local Disk and so did the recovery partition tat was entitled quot Recovery quot before The external HDD which is a Transcend does work properly though and when plugged the scan options notification from ESET Smart Security display its original name I hope I wasn't long explaining useless stuff and hope you guys would be of help to me thank you so much for your time

A:External Hdd+ recovery partition show as "Local disk"

what is shows in device manager?..
Disk management?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/366620-external-hdd-recovery-partition-show-local-disk.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Hello,

So I have a 64GB USB Flash Drive (Centon DataStick Sport). I had not used the drive in several months until the other day when I plugged it into my computer and it asked me to reformat it. I don't know why it asked me to reformat it, but it might have been due to water damage (I had carried it in my backpack and water may have hit it. I'm not quite sure).

I reformatted the drive using NTFS file system and everything is fine aside from one thing; when I plug it in, it shows up as a "Local Drive" under "Hard Drives" like my WD 1TB drive does. I would think that it should show up under 'Devices with removable storage" but it does not.

Does anyone know why this is?

Thanks.

A:USB Flash Drive showing up as "Local Disk" in Windows 7

Hi SlashEmUp Welcome to Seven Forums .. Right click on the Usb Drive propertys/hardware uninstall the Driver . Then unplug the Flash Drive .. Re-Install .. See if that works

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/299143-usb-flash-drive-showing-up-local-disk-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Boy do I have a problem I can t get itunes to load back onto my comp because I get path in Music" Invalid "My to folder Character an error message that says quot The folder path quot My Music quot contains an invalid character quot I have no idea what happened I did uninstall itunes because I was having some problems with the new update and now I can t install it at all I keep all my music movies etc on my external drive and now I can t even use them because they all have the icon quot the one that comes up and says it Invalid Character in path to folder "My Music" doesn t recognize what program created it quot so I hope all my music and everything is not lost I think it would all play again if I could get itunes to re-install on my comp I am using a Compaq Presarion Pentium running Windows XP Home edition Anyone think they can help me I would appreciate it Thank you JJ nbsp

Relevancy 92.02%

So i am lookin at my itunes library and i wanted to see where all the songs were that were NOT downloaded through itunes I only have a few that werent because i Folder "Access saved Denied" in Music recently formatted my hdd and installed windows I transfered a few songs over and they are in itunes now What confuses me now is that these songs are located in C documents and settings my music and i cannot access this folder Now i did a quick googling about the issue and i get the idea that they are quot junction points quot and dont really exist So my question i guess is how in the hell did i transfer songs to a quot junction point quot that doesnt exist im pretty sure these songs were transfered using Music saved in "Access Denied" Folder a wireless network which was a pain in the in itself to figure out with the quot sharing quot and what not i honestly dont remember how i did it but i THINK i did these that way Actually now that i think about it i could have just replaced my library with a saved itunes library file which i did and that ended up giving me a bunch of songs in my itunes library that could not be found Understandably because they Music saved in "Access Denied" Folder arent on this fresh HDD But either way THESE few songs in question ARE on the Music saved in "Access Denied" Folder hdd supposedly in My documents but that cannot be possible right isnt My documents just a pointer to a different location on the hdd if so why doesnt it show me the ACTUAL location Is there anyway to find the ACTUAL location And not only that but it seems the ONLY way i can get to these song files is by right clicking them in itunes and doing the quot show in explorer quot option Anyway im going to stop now any clarification on how any of this stuff works would be helpful i dont like the idea of having my files labeled as being somewhere that doesnt exist nbsp

A:Music saved in "Access Denied" Folder

Look in C:\Users\[your_name]\My Music.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/music-saved-in-access-denied-folder.922156/
Relevancy 92.02%

hi,

OK, this is a weird one.

I wanted to move the "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Videos" folders to another HDD. I moved the "My Documents" Folder to this HDD without a problem but the others I accidentally set the whole HDD as the folder (if that makes sense). So now the music, videos and pictures folders are set to this HDD and dont have an actual folder to change the properties of. Therein lies my dilema.

If anyone can offer any advice on this curly issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Shane

A:Remaking "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Videos" folders

Quote: Originally Posted by Legume

hi,

OK, this is a weird one.

I wanted to move the "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Videos" folders to another HDD. I moved the "My Documents" Folder to this HDD without a problem but the others I accidentally set the whole HDD as the folder (if that makes sense). So now the music, videos and pictures folders are set to this HDD and dont have an actual folder to change the properties of. Therein lies my dilema.

If anyone can offer any advice on this curly issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Shane

You have a backup from before the problem started? a win 7 dvd to do a repair install?
ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/109624-remaking-my-music-my-pictures-my-videos-folders.html
Relevancy 91.59%

My computer has been showing the unknown icon and I can't change it. This started after I upgraded from xp to 7.

A:My local disk is showing the "unknown" icon

Hello Jackson,

You might see if an option in the tutorial below may work to change the icon back.

Drive Icon - Change

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/364240-my-local-disk-showing-unknown-icon.html
Relevancy 91.59%

I just got a new 16GB SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 flash drive that says Local disk instead of Removable Disk, which all the other USB flash drives do.
I did uninstall its driver, replugged and it still shows as Local Disk.

A:Flash stick showing as "Local Disk"

This is usually a driver issue (99% of the time). there are a ton of articles about how to turn a flash drive into a local drive using a third party driver. My suggestion would be to contact SanDisk directly and hopefully they have an answer. By uninstalling the drivers then letting windows install the "same" drivers again your issue won't go away. Another suggestion is to look at the SanDisk website for compatible drivers.

I have seen where someone wants a program installed on a removable drive for security reasons the drive could be removed to prevent others from running said program. in order to install it the removable drive needs to be converted to local drive.

it could also be a USBstor.sys file that is corrupt. (again it's a driver issue) see this on MS forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/299263-flash-stick-showing-local-disk.html
Relevancy 91.59%

I bought a cheap USB 1GB stick at WalMart ($9.96). It's not a "Lexar", but my guess is that it was made in the same factory in Taiwan. The brand name is "iLogic". I have a Lexar brand name USB Stick too, and that DOES show up as removable media.

It works just fine, but it's showing up as a fixed disk, not removeable.

Here's how it shows up in "My Computer":

And it doesn't even show up at all as removable media in the "Computer Management Console":

This isn't really a big deal since the thing works anyway, but I'm wondering why it's showing up that way.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-stick-showing-up-as-fixed-local-disk.803160/
Relevancy 91.59%

I just reinstalled Windows XP Pro SP2 on my brother's computer. He's used to having one or two "network drives" that actually are just mapped to local folders on his computer. Since reinstalling the OS, he's not able to map a network drive to a local folder. Does anyone know how we can get shortcuts to individual folders to show up in My Computer as drive letters?

This really isn't as small of a thing as it sounds like. This functionality is very important for the work my brother does. He doesn't actually *require* it, but it will save him a lot of time.

Thanks for any ideas,

Matthew

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/map-network-drive-to-local-folder.648485/
Relevancy 91.59%

Whilst in Microsoft Office Word 2007 I went to save some of my coursework which I had been working on for 10 hours.
I saved it in my normal folder of work but created a new folder as I was saving it, and saved it in there.
Since then there is no record of the folder or the 2 bits of coursework even existing.
I did an advanced search last night which included non-indexed/hidden/system files.
It came up but when I tried to open it it said it could be saved on a network or the file location has been changed.
It was under the name of 'Local/Temp...' something, but had '.zip' on the end.
I'm now doing another search(accidentilly closed the search ) to find it again, I will try unzipping it so hopefully that will work but I doubt it.

Any ideas as to what's gone wrong? I really need that coursework!

A:Coursework folder is "Local or on Network"

Quote:

Originally Posted by frannn93

Whilst in Microsoft Office Word 2007 I went to save some of my coursework which I had been working on for 10 hours.
I saved it in my normal folder of work but created a new folder as I was saving it, and saved it in there.
Since then there is no record of the folder or the 2 bits of coursework even existing.
I did an advanced search last night which included non-indexed/hidden/system files.
It came up but when I tried to open it it said it could be saved on a network or the file location has been changed.
It was under the name of 'Local/Temp...' something, but had '.zip' on the end.
I'm now doing another search(accidentilly closed the search ) to find it again, I will try unzipping it so hopefully that will work but I doubt it.

Any ideas as to what's gone wrong? I really need that coursework!

Never heard of that happening. Have you tried opening Word again and seeing if you can get back to the coursework using the "Recent Documents" list?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/coursework-folder-is-local-or-on-network-566158.html
Relevancy 91.59%

This folder was created a little over two weeks ago.

The folder extends this far, with no folders having any files.

Appdata/local/Apps/2.0/NN3MAOW.TB8/OTAHHLPM.5KM/manifests

All the sub folders were created at the same time. What causes these folders to created? I read that its something to do with clickonce, but I do not use it.

A:What is this folder - "Apps" in appdata/local/

Anyone have any information?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/345892-what-folder-apps-appdata-local.html
Relevancy 91.59%

Hi all,
Using XP home edition, I'm trying to tweak my Chrome browser so I went looking for the installation folder. The properties dialogue in the shortcut tells me it's in "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe".

The problem is that I cannot find this folder. When I go to my D&S folder and open my "Owner" folder, there is no "Local Settings" folder. I have my system set up to show all folders, including hidden and system folders, so I know that isn't the problem.

I'm flummoxed. Any help would be appreciated.

Relevancy 91.59%

hey all i just reformated my computer i have hard drives one which stores all my system files os etc and onther which i use just for storage When i restarted my computer for the first time since reformating i had a message sayinf somthing alng the lines of quot One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency You may cancel the disk check but it is strongly recommended that you continue quot i wasnt at my computer so it decided to go ahead and do it anyway by the time i got to my computer and turned it off booted it back up and avoided the dick check again on start up it had already deleted gigs of my music files It was saying somthing about orphened files when it was running through deleting everything from image files to music, Check help! Deleting "orphened my files" Keeps Disk mp s please let me know if there is a way to resotr my deleted Disk Check Keeps Deleting my music, "orphened files" help! files or find Disk Check Keeps Deleting my music, "orphened files" help! out exactly what was deleted ive never seen anything like this nbsp

A:Disk Check Keeps Deleting my music, "orphened files" help!

^^ bump for help pleASE

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disk-check-keeps-deleting-my-music-orphened-files-help.630297/
Relevancy 91.59%

Hi I am not sure whether I should be posting this in the Windows forum or the PC Hardware because it involves both I have an external GB Transcend Drive with a lot of important data Recently I unplugged it from my PC and took to another to get some files One the other machine Vista it didn't show up as far as I can remember thought that was strange so i brought it back to my Laptop Win Dual Boot Disk" doesn't Hard Win "Local and In in / 7 as Drive External work Works Ubuntu Shows with Ubuntu and it only showed as Local Disk I have tried to find useful information on the net but some is very vague and some is outright stupid and irrelevant The fact is that the HDD is not broken When in Ubuntu I can view the contents fine and everything is there no freeze ups or anything but External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work in windows the drive shows up as External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work Local Disk I don't think it is a drive letter conflict The Device shows up fine in the Device Manager I'm sure some of you have solved this problem as it seems many on the Internet have If so please tell me in a few steps how you resolved it I am External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work not formatting as I do not deem this necessary since I can access my data fine in Ubuntu Kind Regards

A:External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work

I suggest that while in Ubuntu you move the files to local HDD, then reformat external HDD, then copy the files back.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-hard-drive-works-in-ubuntu-shows-as-local-disk-in-win-7-and-doesnt-work-500728.html
Relevancy 91.16%

You know how by default, the My videos, pictures, and music have their own icon. Well my music is just the normal folder look because I was copying some stuff last time. I can't find away to change the icon folder. Any ideas?

A:RESOLVED: Icon of "My Music" folder

Hi ..

have you tried right clicking the folder and then selecting the Customize tab then choosing 'Restore default'?

If the Customize tab isn't available, try using Microsoft's TweakUI Powertoy as you have the option to repair the My Music folder in there.

Hope that helps :)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/resolved-icon-of-my-music-folder-143318.html
Relevancy 91.16%

I changed the location of the my music folder so it wouldn't be documents\my music but would be my music folder on my network drive,then after some time it stopped working,now I can't change it back,set it to default or anything.

hopefully this picture will clear any confusion up =]

http://img214.imageshack.us/i/89542652.jpg/

http://img340.imageshack.us/i/98061718.jpg/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problem-with-properties-for-my-my-music-folder-441036.html
Relevancy 91.16%

I don't use it, don't need it, and don't want it. My music is on a NAS drive.

A:How can I permanently remove the "My Music" folder?

Go to libraries, and delete the folder. It should be gone now.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/40769-how-can-i-permanently-remove-my-music-folder.html
Relevancy 91.16%

whenever i use windows media player a "my music" folder appears on the desktop, it isn't really my music folder, it's empty so i just delete it but it keeps coming back...does anyone know what is happening and how to fix it? thankyou in advance

A:"my music" folder keeps appearing on desktop

bumpity bump

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-music-folder-keeps-appearing-on-desktop.404572/
Relevancy 91.16%

Hi

I have windows XP home edition.

I recently loaded up my itunes and tried to play i beatles song i loaded on a while back. However i got an error saying "file cannot be located"

I then went into my "my music" folder and then to the "beatles" folder. Once in the folder no files where shown. I then looked at the Beatles folder properties and it said there where 22 files in it. This has happened to all my music folder. Please help. This is years and 100's of pound worth of music gone!!

Regards Lee

Relevancy 90.73%

I am running Win 7 U x64 and as you can see from my attached image drive L is a 4TB WD Green external drive but no matter what i try to do i cannot rename it to something i want in this case it's "WD 4TB Ext PCW", I have shut down, rebooted, formated (which was a pain given i had just moved 3.4TB over), anyone seen this before i have looked on google and tried some stuff but nothing has worked so far.
All1

A:Cannot rename new Ext HDD, always called "Local Disk"

Well i have just changed the USB3 cable, instead of using default WD one that came the the unit i put an old one in (1 meter long) and i was able to change it simply going via windows explorer properties.

All1

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/358293-cannot-rename-new-ext-hdd-always-called-local-disk.html
Relevancy 90.3%

For a friend in Africa - OS is WinME -recently her CD (read only) Drive fails to detect a Music CD ( message No Disk in Drive appears) the drive still "sees" a data disk and she can still install from it - but alas No Music - no disk "seen"
Would appreciate and thoughts of a possible fix I could pass on to her - help in the part of the world where she is - is unaffordable mostly.
I sent her a used Drive - worth $20 bucks Canadian max - her Customs demanded almost $1000000 - yes I million $ zimbabwe around $210 Canadian - they dont have that kind of bread Thanks Cliff.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-drive-doesnt-see-a-music-disk.238526/
Relevancy 89.44%

In My Music folder when i add a picture to a subfolder the same picture appears and to another random subfolder again in My Music folder. Can you help me?

Relevancy 89.44%

Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 and one day I came to use the search box in the top-right hand corner of my screen when in the Music folder (that is default in Windows 7), and no search was performed. The text stayed in the search box but nothing happened. Pressing enter did nothing.

Cheers!

Relevancy 89.44%

So I quot accidentaly quot deleted the My Music and My Images folders the folder? Music" Restoring "My in my grandpa s desktop PC I used Shift Delete so they re not in the Recycle Bin They were empty so I don t really need to restore any files I just Restoring the "My Music" folder? want the folder to show up in My Documents again I could just make a new folder and call it Restoring the "My Music" folder? quot My Music quot but I read that these quot My - quot folders have special attributes or something so any folder wouldn t do the trick Can anyone help By the way I deleted those folders because I had the idea of migrating his My Documents folder from the D drive to the C drive because D was running out of space but turns out that I can t just quot migrate quot it becuse I can t delete the original folder and make the second the quot official quot My Documents and now I m stuck nbsp

Relevancy 89.01%

every time i try to run a disk clean up my pc reads there are file system errors then it say's that "the drive is in use and can only be analyzed when windows is restarted" but when i restart my pc say's that the file is NSFS and something about the volume file. Can anyone help me please.

Relevancy 89.01%

Why has my local disk "d" nearly full,?? is my computer backing up files,all the time,?

A:Local Disk "d" Nearly Full,??

Hy my friend , is there an win old folder in your system ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19151-windows-old-folder-delete.html

Recycle bin is empty ? You could read this

http://www.howtogeek.com/125923/7-ways-to-free-up-hard-disk-space-on-windows/

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/local-disk-d-nearly-full.313104/
Relevancy 89.01%

I have to set up a Broadband connection. But Local Area connection icon is missing. Someone told "drivers" could be missing... I installed few. But the problem is as it was.. please guide me in this regards.. Thank you

Screen shots Attached

A:"Local Area Connection" missing in "Change adapter Settings".. Plz hlp

Hi and welcome to the Forum
Is the Broadband connection working OK?
Where are you looking for the icon? Can you post a screenshot of the location where you expect to see the LAN icon?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/286724-local-area-connection-missing-change-adapter-settings-plz-hlp.html
Relevancy 89.01%

G day all I am hoping someone may be able to tell me why my local folders appear under quot The Internet quot Local Places" Solved: opening Network appear "My Folders "The as Internet"when on one of our work computers rather than under quot Local Network quot We have four machines running XP Home and one running XP Pro The front machine has XP Home on it and I cannot open any Solved: Local Folders appear as "The Internet"when opening "My Network Places" of the shared folders for this machine on any of the other three machines even though they all have the same workgroup name Solved: Local Folders appear as "The Internet"when opening "My Network Places" They are all connected via CAT cable and we have a Netcomm NB ADSL modem router a Netcomm V Telephone Adapter VOIP modem and an port switch in the boss s office And the front computer s folder s and drives that I have chosen to be shared are listed under quot The Internet quot Does anyone know why this is and how I would go about correcting it Thankyou for your help and time Aaron nbsp

A:Solved: Local Folders appear as "The Internet"when opening "My Network Places"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-local-folders-appear-as-the-internet-when-opening-my-network-places.578697/
Relevancy 87.72%

i Recently bought and hp windows 7 computer 64 bit and it was fine but two weeks later it does this it was working few hour ago and now it saids this ""Local Area Connection" Doesn't have a valid ip config"
what does that mean? i couldnt fix it, i turned off the router, modem did a pc recovery and i also waited. it didnt do anything how do i fix this? am not really good at pc can someone give met he step one by one?

A:""Local Area Connection" Doesn't have a valid ip config "

Quote: Originally Posted by markxsimu

i Recently bought and hp windows 7 computer 64 bit and it was fine but two weeks later it does this it was working few hour ago and now it saids this ""Local Area Connection" Doesn't have a valid ip config"
what does that mean? i couldnt fix it, i turned off the router, modem did a pc recovery and i also waited. it didnt do anything how do i fix this? am not really good at pc can someone give met he step one by one?

You should first try resetting the router by holding down the reset button for 30 seconds, still holding down the button, unplug the router for 30 seconds, power back up while still holding down the button for 30 more seconds.

After that it's required that you go into the routers settings and make sure the wireless is set up correctly, you need to add SSID "name of network" set up a password to connect, then choose the security and encryption, WPA2 and AES encryption tends to work best with Windows 7 drivers.

After that check your wireless profile for this connection by going to the Network and Sharing center, look left for "Manage wireless connections" and use the same settings that you used for the router.

If you are still having problems please post the ipconfig/all from this machine and I'll have a look at it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/236591-local-area-connection-doesnt-have-valid-ip-config.html
Relevancy 87.72%

I'd like to assign a few select "domain users" to be local admin over their test machines which log into a domain. The test machines are Windows 7 64bit and the domain is Win2k8 R2. I have been searching around for the best way to do it but I've come up short on my search.

Anyone know off the top of their head?

Thanks

A:Assigning "domain user" to "local admin" on select PCs

Create a new group in AD, for example, TestUsers
Add the required users to the group
Go round each machine and add the group as a member of local admins.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/47604-assigning-domain-user-local-admin-select-pcs.html
Relevancy 87.72%

Hi,

I have several icons/files from my "User" folder showing up in the "Computer" folder (several in duplicate), PLUS numerous blank icons...

This seems to have occurred after the Common Files folder became corrupted, after I somewhat riskily decided to power off while Vista was attempting to come out of Sleep mode - it had already taken about 3 mins and I was in a hurry - bad move, I know. That delay appears to have been due to an old version of Online Armor, and has now been fixed (by an update). Chkdsk scanned and (apparently) corrected some errors, and I also ran SFC which said it had corrected some errors but had also found some that it couldn't correct. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

A:Icons/Files from "User" folder showing up in "Computer" folder

Hello Aster, and welcome to Vista Forums.

You might see if doing a system restore using a restore point dated before this happened may be able to fix it.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/261502-icons-files-user-folder-showing-up-computer-folder.html
Relevancy 87.29%

So here's what happened I was using my quot Documents quot library as a shortcut to my comics folder I did this because I wanted my comics folder to be accessible through the upper right section of the start menu So I renamed it to quot Comics quot and all was well That is until I installed the windows service pack update After that the library was renamed quot Documents quot and whenever I'd try to change it back to quot Comics quot it would simply revert after hitting enter I even tried changing the name through the quot HKEY CURRENT USER Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer User Shell Folders quot registry key but that didn't work either I'm certain "Comics" to Can't rename "Documents" library it has something to do with the Service Pack update I assume during the update as the Documents library was named quot Comics quot it sort of amalgamated that name with quot Documents quot expecting that to be the title Can't rename "Documents" library to "Comics" and now it can't tell a difference I should point out though when I do change it to quot Comics quot it does show up as Comics library-ms under the registry key I mentioned Any suggestions

A:Can't rename "Documents" library to "Comics"

Hello FrozenInferno and welcome to Seven Forums.

Don't know if this will help or not because there seems to be a dependency between SP1 and default folder names. But it might be worth a try.

Uninstall SP1

How to uninstall Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Make sure "Documents" is still named "Documents" and not "Comics" (default name/setting)

Reinstall SP1

Learn how to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Try changing "Documents" to "Comics" after SP1 is installed.

And I would definitely make restore points and preferably a full system image just in case. Please post back and let us know if this helped or not.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/153382-cant-rename-documents-library-comics.html
Relevancy 87.29%

The "My Computer" Folder on my PC is showing icons for 4 non existing removable disk drives.
How can I get rid of these. There is no "delete" option when I right click the respective icons.
Thanks for your help!

A:Cannot delete 4 non existing removable disk icons in "My Computer" folder????????

Hello mouln

The only way I know of to get rid of them is to reboot

They should be gone when XP boots up again since they no longer exist

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-delete-4-non-existing-removable-disk-icons-in-my-computer-folder-234881.html
Relevancy 86.86%

I took the 500GB disk from my dead notebook and decided to keep old data within it as an external storage in a USB case.

The drive was bootable as Win7 pro x64, but now I want to remove all system folders from it, keeping all backups and private data untouched, but I need special rights for most of the folders/files inside Windows folder: it requests for TrustedInstaller privileges.

I'm using a Win7 enterprise 32bit, logged in as a AD domain user that is also on local Administrators group. I tried taking ownership, but it failed.

How can I remove those unused system folders?

Thank you in advance.

A:How to delete the "Windows" folder from external disk?

Reboot into "recovery environment" and enter "command prompt".
find the right driveletter:
DIR C:\
DIR D:\
etc

RMDIR /S X:\Windows
replace X with right driveletter

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/209770-how-delete-windows-folder-external-disk.html
Relevancy 86.43%

Here s a strange one All of my DVD-RW drives are appearing as Local Disks when I view them in quot My Computer quot Moist of the drives in question are external firewire and DVD-RW As Drives In Disks" Listed "My "Local Computer" USB however my integrated DRD-RW is also effected Oddly all of the drives are fully functional when used for burning playing media and they all appear properly in the Windows Disk Management console and applications that would require optical media burning software and the like That being the case I guess this is more in the quot annoyance quot category as functionality is not the DVD-RW Drives Listed As "Local Disks" In "My Computer" problem In any case I have tried all the quick fixes I can think of i e change drive letters and reboot uninstall DVD-RW Drives Listed As "Local Disks" In "My Computer" and search for new hardware disable enable In all of the above operations the drives briefly re-appear in quot My Computer quot all listed simply as quot CD Drive quot However once I ve accessed any DVD-RW Drives Listed As "Local Disks" In "My Computer" of the drives they revert to quot Local Disk quot This is a rather new W x PC Didn t notice anything strange with the drives initially The problem just sort of appeared after a reboot Any explanations suggestions appreciated Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 86.43%

Hi Guys, any ideas how to access my external hard drive [TOSHIBA MK3029GACE] device manager can see it but it does not appear in disc management.

I use this HDD perfectly in my car HDD player. But when I try to connect it to my Laptop, it does not show up in disk management.

Please check the attached screen shot..

Thanks for the help....

A:HDD shows in "Device Manager" but not in "DiskPart"or" Disk Management

Specs show that drive has a ATA-6 interface (P-ATA, or IDE). How are you connecting this drive to your laptop? Does the laptop have a PATA or SATA connection? Does it use an adapter?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/347111-hdd-shows-device-manager-but-not-diskpart-disk-management.html
Relevancy 86.43%

The "My Music" folder has gone like this:

Any suggestions of how to make it look like the others?

A:Help with the "My Music" folder

Hello jleafe, and welcome to Seven Forums.

It looks like you have hidden it by mistake. If your "My Music" folder is still at the default C:\Users\(user-name)\My Music location, then you could open a elevated command prompt and run the command below to fix this.

attrib +r -s -h %USERPROFILE%\Music /S /D

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/198399-help-my-music-folder.html
Relevancy 86.43%

Windows XP sp2 and Special Folders

I have been trying to install itunes on my laptop and when I try to open it
I get a message that the MY Music folder cannot be found.
I followed the instructions to solve this problem which involved using
TWEAKUI to change location of my folder.
In Tweakui under My Computer ... Special Folders there was no listing for My Music.
All the other default special folders were ther My Videos, My Documents, My Pictures
etc but no My Music.
I have a subdirectory My Music in My Documents.
Does anyone have any ideas how I could restore the default folders.
Thank You.
Johnandrew

Relevancy 86%

Hello to all I'm new to this forum and obviously i'm not Missing can't access "user" folder, missing local drive files, sure if this is the right place for starting and posting this thread Since i'm pritty desperate i'm going to explain the best i can what is really happening and how it all started Missing files, missing "user" folder, can't access local drive since a few days ago i was noticing that a few files specifically mp files are missing from my music collection I managed to recover the missing ones and transfer the whole collection to a new drive without issues Today i've found that some recently downloaded files Missing files, missing "user" folder, can't access local drive including several mp 's where missing again from the new HDD I started to look around the internet abut the problem and what could be the reasons that causes my files to quot vanish quot from my HDD As i was reading i stoped at one thread in Missing files, missing "user" folder, can't access local drive other's site forums that related to some quot security quot and quot user privileges quot issues in Win I then tried to quot fix quot the problem but noticed that the files where still missing Next thing i tried was looking for the missing files in some AppData subfolder named something like quot virtual backup quot or something That was the last time i saw the quot user quot folder and the last time y accessed my local drive Turned out the folder just dissapeared from the screen after a short quot access denied quot dialog box error After that all of my desktop icons dissapeared and my c drive went like it's empty and can't be accessed still i can see the drive lying there and every time i run a virus and malware scan it search the entire c drive with no problem Had tried a system restore to a previous state every icon on the desktop where there again but still no local drive Now i'm running out of ideas and i really need to fix this I will appreciate any help you can give me Thanks in advance

A:Missing files, missing "user" folder, can't access local drive

Viruses do things like that. The scenario sounds familiar. Scan with Malwarebytes. The free version is good enough.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/lp4/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=search-brand-us

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/316614-missing-files-missing-user-folder-cant-access-local-drive.html
Relevancy 86%

Hi,

In my company I have a windows 2008 server. And synology NAS. On the server, there is a strategy that redirects the "my document" folder to the NAS, in the directory \\datas\home\Documents.

It works find on windows XP OS, but not on Windows 7. I mean, the folder is not redirected, so I tried to add the folder to the "documents" library, but windows 7 refuses, telling me it is impossible because the folder is not indexed.

So how can I do with windows 7 to put this network folder in "documents"?

Thanks

A:"My document" folder on a remote disk (NAS)

Hi Julien

Welcome to Seven Forums

Have a look at the following tutorials :
How to Include a Network Drive or Folder in a Library in Windows 7 (Credits to limneos of SF)
How to Include a Folder in a Library in Windows 7 (Credits to Shawn - SF)
Hope this helps and regards

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/91456-my-document-folder-remote-disk-nas.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I am a novice that has run into trouble with Location tools I have tried Googling the issue but I am not exactly sure what I have done I am rebuilding my laptop which has a medium size SSD and a Tb hard drive running Windows Professional I have much of my software installed to the SSD C some installed to a small partition D on the TB disk and my files to a second partition F on the TB disk My Dropbox is in F and I successfully used the Location tool to move my Downloads folder to F I went to move my tool: Made error I Local cannot Disk changes w/"Location" undo: Made Favorites folder with the location tool and fat-brained fat fingered something and I found the individual elements items and subfolders of my Favorites folder in F without being part of the folder Favorites There was Made error w/"Location" tool: Made changes I cannot undo: Local Disk an option to return to the default which I assumed was like Undo As usual a bad assumption My individual Favorites stayed on the F Drive and copy of the F Drive appeared in my user folder I now have a Local Disk F in my User Folder on C but luckily it is not taking up space on C I cannot delete it or drag it I also have my Favorites items and subfolders on F with a Favorites Folder One more unusual note In one view of my User folder I see Local Disk F but when I go through Windows User I do not see Local Disk f See attached screenshot to see that circumstance and for additional illustration of my issue I masked my actual user name to protect the ignorant me I wish to Remove the Local Disk F from my User Folder Remove the individual elements of My Favorites from Local Disk F and place them back where they belong in the Favorites Folder Thanks in advance and if the answer exists on this forum already I am not savvy enough to identify it

A:Made error w/"Location" tool: Made changes I cannot undo: Local Disk

What "Location" tool? Where is it, how do you get to it? The only thing I see if Location in Control Panel and I don't think that is what you are talking about.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/358401-made-error-w-location-tool-made-changes-i-cannot-undo-local-disk.html
Relevancy 84.71%

In my music folders, when i select the option "play all" on the left frame of the folder (i'm using windows XP2), no programs open up to play the music. It is supposed to be handled by WMP program, but that doesnt start up. It basically results with no response, as if i didnt click in the first place. Anyone know what the problem could be?

A:When I Click "Play All" to play music in a Folder, WMP doesn't start as it should

do you have any other media players installed into windows, such as real player or itunes?

try going to start>set program access and defaults>microsoft windows and see what it lists for 'media player', it should be set to windows media player

also look under the 'non microsoft' category, it should say 'use my current media player'

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/when-i-click-play-all-to-play-music-in-a-folder-wmp-doesnt-start-as-it-should.50001/
Relevancy 84.71%

I added a slave drive to my Windows XP Pro computer and it appears to work properly However when I open the quot Documents and Settings quot folder on the slave drive E which is Windows XP Home Edition Slave Folder Settings" Solved: drive Denied" "Access and on "Documents -- not XP Pro I do not see any of my documents sub-folders etc There should be MANY sub-folders inside the quot My Documents quot folder which isn t even visible with hundreds of documents jpgs etc Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder within it When that drive is installed as the Primary drive in my other computer the User quot Larry Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder quot which is me has all Administrative privileges On the computer that I m running now with the slave drive in it I also have Administrator privileges I own both computers My User Name quot Larry quot is password-protected when I login to Windows when the drive is Primary and installed into my main computer not this computer with XP Pro I ve tried clicking on all the users Administrator Default User Larry Guest etc Note I get an quot Access Denied quot error when clicking on the Guest quot Documents and Settings quot folder So the questions are Why can t I see any files or subdirectories in the quot Documents and Settings quot folder on the slave drive There s supposed to be a folder named quot My Documents quot but I can t find it Normally that path is quot C Documents and Settings My Documents quot --- Where is that folder It contains all the files I m looking for Do I have to put the drive back into the other computer and then change something before putting it into this computer or can I change something in this computer to access the folders I m really confused Old Fart Larry nbsp

A:Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder

Follow the directions here to take ownership of a file or folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-slave-drive-access-denied-on-documents-and-settings-folder.935997/
Relevancy 84.71%

Good day all I recently restarted my computer only to be met with an empty desktop Also My Start Menu is empty I can t locate any of programs or documents a Right clicking and going to windows explorer I could only view quot My Computer quot quot Windows C and when I click on them they contain few irrelevant files In other words I can t find my personal saved documents quot my document quot folder recycle bin and all other programs My wifi still works so the only thing I can do on my system is browse on the internet However I can open a microsoft office file PDF files if I download it directly from my email or from an external drive I can save files on my new blank desktop I presume this is a virus attack Can anyone be kind enough to advise me on what to do AFTER FOLLOWING SOME ADVICE I AM BEGINNING TO GET Documents" folder erased. Locate and "My Menu" Can't folders "Start Desktop SOME OF Desktop erased. Can't Locate "My Documents" folder and "Start Menu" folders MY FILES BACK BUT MY START PROGRAM FOLDERS ARE ALL EMPTY For example when i click the microsoft office folder it is empty HOW CAN I GET RID OF THIS VIRUS PLEASE Thanking you in advance nbsp

A:Desktop erased. Can't Locate "My Documents" folder and "Start Menu" folders

closing duplicate, please respond at http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1003509-desktop-erased-cant-locate-my.html . Please do not create duplicate threads for the same issue.

thanks,

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-erased-cant-locate-my-documents-folder-and-start-menu-folders.1003517/
Relevancy 84.71%

Good day all.

I recently restarted my computer only to be met with an empty desktop.

Also, My Start Menu is empty. I can't locate any of programs or documents.a Right clicking and going to windows explorer, I could only view : "My Computer", "Windows (C); and when I click on them, they contain few irrelevant files.

In other words I can't find my personal saved documents, "my document" folder , recycle bin and all other programs.

My wifi still works so the only thing I can do on my system is browse on the internet.

However, I can open a microsoft office file, PDF files, if I download it directly from my email or from an external drive.

I can save files on my new blank desktop.

I presume this is a virus attack.

Can anyone be kind enough to advise me on what to do?

Thanking you in advance.

Your files and folders may have been hidden by the virus, go to folder options and 'show hidden files and folder' to see if they actually are hidden. If they are, you can use Grindler's UnHide tool to 'unhide' all of your files and folders. As for the virus, move this thread to the virus and other malware removal forum in order for it to be noticed by an authorised malware removal member.
Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-erased-cant-locate-my-documents-folder-and-start-menu-folders.1003509/
Relevancy 84.71%

Good day all.

I recently restarted my computer only to be met with an empty desktop.

Also, My Start Menu is empty. I can't locate any of programs or documents.a Right clicking and going to windows explorer, I could only view : "My Computer", "Windows (C); and when I click on them, they contain few irrelevant files.

In other words I can't find my personal saved documents, "my document" folder , recycle bin and all other programs.

My wifi still works so the only thing I can do on my system is browse on the internet.

However, I can open a microsoft office file, PDF files, if I download it directly from my email or from an external drive.

I can save files on my new blank desktop.

I presume this is a virus attack.

Can anyone be kind enough to advise me on what to do?

Thanking you in advance.

closing thread, please do not create more than one thread for the same issue. Please respond at http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1003509-desktop-erased-cant-locate-my.html .

thanks,

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-erased-cant-locate-my-documents-folder-and-start-menu-folders.1003510/
Relevancy 84.71%

hi i m new here nice to meet all of you just like a lot of folks i m sure i ve come here because there are some weird things running on and "winsilly" disk" "win956temp" "windows no my pc that shouldnt be in there please help heres the hijack log thanks in advance i don t know much about this computer virus stuff eric Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v "windows no disk" and "winsilly" "win956temp" SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Dantz Retrospect retrorun exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System "windows no disk" and "winsilly" "win956temp" ZoneLabs vsmon exe C WINDOWS System spool drivers w x hpztsb exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update "windows no disk" and "winsilly" "win956temp" OB realsched exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM qttask exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C PROGRA VERIZO HELPSU VERIZO EXE C PROGRA VERIZO HELPSU SMARTB MotiveSB exe C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe C PROGRA Sony SONICS SsAAD exe C Program Files Common Files Verizon Online ConnMgr cmisrv exe C Program Files Windows Media Components Encoder Wmencagt exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C WINDOWS system ZoneLabs isafe exe C Program Files Common Files Verizon Online AppMgr vzOpenUIServer exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Common Files MotiveBrowser MotiveBrowser exe C Documents and Settings Wave Computer Local Settings Temp HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http g msn com SEENUS SAOS R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http lvboard arcynic net index php R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C WINDOWS SYSTEM blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Verizon Online R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride lt local gt O - BHO Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - EFB- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C PROGRAM FILES ADOBE ACROBAT READER ACTIVEX ACROIEHELPER OCX O - BHO no name - B F FDF- - BF-B D- F C FE - C WINDOWS system admparsek dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO ST - EDE -C B - E- - BF AF E - C Program Files MSN Apps ST en-xu stmain dll O - BHO no name - A F C C- A - DB - AF -B E D - C WINDOWS compstuih dll O - BHO MSNToolBandBHO - BDBD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program Files MSN Apps MSN Toolbar en-us msntb dll O - Toolbar MSN - BDAD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program Files MSN Apps MSN Toolbar en-us msntb dll O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - HKLM Run SystemTray SysTray Exe O - HKLM Run HPDJ Taskbar Utility C WINDOWS System spool drivers w x hpztsb exe O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C WINDOWS SYSTEM qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run A Verizon App C PROGRA VERIZO HELPSU VERIZO EXE O - HKLM Run Motive SmartBridge C PROGRA VERIZO HELPSU SMARTB MotiveSB exe O - HKLM Run Zone Labs Client C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe O - HKLM Run SsAAD exe C PROGRA Sony SONICS SsAAD exe O - HKCU Run msnmsgr quot C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe quot background O - HKCU Run googletalk quot C Program Files Google Google Talk googletalk exe quot autostart O - Global Startup Adobe Gamma Loader exe lnk C Pro... Read more

Relevancy 84.28%

I left clicked on Local Disk C when I opened "My Computer" and for a reason that I can't understand, I got the message: POWERPOINT VIEWER CAN'T FIND THE FILE. This is the first time that I left clicked on the Local Disk Icon and it seems that it tried to open Powerpoint. I tried with the other icons inside MY COMPUTER and the same thing hapenned: it attempts to open Powerpoint Viewer. I don't remember having this problem before and don't know how to fix the problem. I made a search and found that my C drive has the following:
C:\Program Files Powerpoint Viewer
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office
C:\Documents and Settings\all Users\Start Menu

I have Office 2003 Any suggestions as to what is happening and how to fix this problem?
Thanks, Metuquita...... Pls respond to my email address!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-c-local-drive-on-my-computer.608250/
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi all Sorry to repeat a question I see a lot of instances of but none of those seem to be addressing my problem correctly I have not done anything new to my computer in recent days so this problem has caught me off guard I see most instances of this problem come after upgrading to Windows I have had Win installed for a while now Here is a summary of my problem My computer recently got stuck on the quot Starting Windows Screen quot So I manually held the power button to reboot On reboot it said there was a need to run a startup repair which I did Everything checked fine except for the Corrupted" Windows", is on Repair "Starting Stuck Shows Disk Volume "System on last one which said quot System Volume on Disk is Corrupted quot which it claimed to have successfully fixed After rebooting from repair the system gets stuck on quot Starting Windows Screen quot for a good - minutes after which it runs a registry check After it completes that I get hopeful -- but the screen then gets stuck on an all black screen with just the mouse cursor and nothing more Additional note Attempting to start the computer on quot safe mode quot leads Stuck on "Starting Windows", Repair Shows "System Volume on Disk is Corrupted" safe mode startup to become stalled Stuck on "Starting Windows", Repair Shows "System Volume on Disk is Corrupted" on quot DRIVERS CLASSPNP SYS quot The lastest attempt to repair yielded this message quot Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically Problem event Name Startup Repair Offline Problem signature uknown quot AutoFailover Corrupt Volume OS Version Locale Id In need of help not sure where to start Thanks nbsp

A:Stuck on "Starting Windows", Repair Shows "System Volume on Disk is Corrupted"

Hi Stan, Hopefully I can help you out....or at least lead you in the right direction. From my experience, the symptoms you are suggesting sound like perhaps a dying Hard drive.

1. Do you have the windows 7 boot disks that came with your computer or when you bought the Operating System? If so, you could try and insert one of those and boot from it, and attempt to repair the installation. (this won't affect your data, only the windows system files).

2. If that doesn't fix it, you could try a fresh reinstall of windows 7, and see if that works.

3. If neither of those work, its likely that because of the fact that when windows is repairing itself, it is generally putting copies of its system files in the same physical location on your disk. Because your disk is obviously not completely dead, ie....its still loading to the windows 7 startup screen, its just copying files to the bad sectors on your hard drive and gets stuck when loading. This is especially my guess because you said Safe mode is having same problems, even after attempting to repair. In the past, I've tried and salvage a disk by reformatting it and only leaving on partitions which do not contain the bad clusters. This takes some time, and some guess work.....and really this is only a "bandaid" fix because once the disk has bad clusters, its only a matter of time before these things give out. You wouldn't want to trust your important data on it anyways....

I hope this leads you in the right direction.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/stuck-on-starting-windows-repair-shows-system-volume-on-disk-is-corrupted.1023059/
Relevancy 84.28%

Not a major issue, of course, purely cosmetic, but still a minor annoyance none-the-less:

I have a number of card reader drives that I never use (haven't even removed that plastic cover tape from them to help keep the dust out) that show when viewing the "Computer" window that displays drives. Is there any way to hide specific unused drivers from this view? Not remove drive entirely, of course, I may need to use one in the future, but just to hide them so they aren't visible, until I may chose to make them visible again?

Thanks as always,

Russell

A:Hiding unused "removable storage" devices from "Computer" folder

Hello Russell,

You could check Hide empty drives in the Computer folder in Folder Options to have them stay hidden until you insert a card. When a card is inserted, the drive will display in Computer.

Drives - Hide or Show Empty Drives in Computer Folder

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/245152-hiding-unused-removable-storage-devices-computer-folder.html
Relevancy 83.85%

hello, let's just get to the point, i had this problem recently where my pc can load windows, it keep looping
pc's on - booting - then "Windows Loading Files" - restart
it's infinite i don't know what to do, i don't have a cd rom, and i can't reinstall my windows from USB because every time i tried it says : "disk error" or "disk read error"
even after i burn it to USB correctly, tried this on other pc and USB can load just fine.
i'm thinking, it's something wrong with my boot system in System Reserved, is there anyway i can do to fix this?

A:"Windows Loading Files" infinite loop, Can't Boot USB "disk error"

Hi,

Have you tried changing the boot sequence inside the BIOS?

Normally pressing F2 or F12 on the computer will solve this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/366393-windows-loading-files-infinite-loop-cant-boot-usb-disk-error.html
Relevancy 83.85%

A friend's computer... total nightmare... she doesn't know much about computers, and it seems thoroughly messed up. Tried installing Windows Defender, and it couldn't find her "My Pictures" folder so it didn't install. So I looked under her My Documents folder. It's missing the My Pictures and My Music folders. Plus, the other folders that are there, such as My Videos, etc., their icons are not special, they look like ordinary folders.

Her computer's "Shared Documents" section looks fine, with all the usual folders with special icons, etc.

Any thoughts?
Computer: HP Pavilion dv1000

A:"My Pictures" and "My Music" folders are missing

Try a system restore to an earlier date before the problem started.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-pictures-and-my-music-folders-are-missing.645748/
Relevancy 83.85%

First off this is my work laptop.

I have my standard Music library, which is a directory directly off the C drive.

When I download or move into that "Music" directory the directory I moved has a lock icon on it.

In order to get rid of the icon, I need to add "Authenticated Users" to the list of groups, and then I need to take ownership of the directory under my account in order to to do anything.

If this directory is in my download directory, it's fine...but as soon as I move it there the above situation arises.

What have I messed up?

A:Need To Add "Authenticated Users" Every Directory Within "Music"

I used the search function for directory permissions, ownership and inherited permissions and they all led to the Security forum. I'm pretty sure file security and permissions falls under OS security.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/197628-need-add-authenticated-users-every-directory-within-music.html
Relevancy 83.42%

The subject message pops up any time I attempt to open my IE8 browser using Windows XP and set to my home page "ATT.Yahoo". When I click "OK" in the message, IE closes and tries to recover, but with the same results each time. I know
there is a method to reset IE9, but can't tell if it also pertains to IE8 since it can't be opened.

A:"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" "Runtime Error! Program: C:Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

Hi,
the first step in troubleshooting IE issues is to test in noAddons Mode.
toolbars.google.com - download and install the latest IE compatible version of the Google Toolbar.
for consumer help with IE select the Help>Online Support menu from IE and follow the prompts for your windows and IE versions. thx.Rob^_^

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/809daad7-a7a3-4520-9af0-959d69ac8cb8/quotmicrosoft-visual-c-runtime-libraryquot-quotruntime-error-program-cprogram?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 83.42%

I have a big problem here,
I have used my hard disk for 9month,
Yesterday when I watched movie on the half way,
My hard disk suddenly disfuntion,
And I thought my laptop problem due to always lagging so I restart my computer.
But after that I can't read my hard disk (WD)in my computer.
It can read in computer management there.

Ways I try:
1)I try to uninstall and reinstalled again,BUT it doesn't work.
2)I try to unchecked the hide folder and device at view.
3)I try to update the software BUT it still disfunction.
4)I try to use disk management and initialized it BUT there appeared CANNOT INITIALIZED Due to I/O device error.

Any solution for me ?

A:Hard Disk can't read in "my computer ", "initialized",I/O device error

The most usual cause is that the Hard Drive is beginning to fail. Back up your stuff. Go to the website of the manufacturer and test the drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/335190-hard-disk-cant-read-my-computer-initialized-i-o-device-error.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hello TSG Just yesterday I was using the computer normally until I got a Blue Screen Getting a blue screen is usually something normal that occurs to my every so often so I didn t mind it and rebooted the computer normally Disk not 1 Solved: found" and problem "Drive "Floppy Failure" However I got two more blue screens within the next hour The rd time rebooting my computer starts to act strange as if it had a virus Upon powering up the monitor would just display a black screen with two lines about something --- which I don t remember sorry --- and stayed like that unless I plugged out the power cord or held on the power button to shut down Then when after a few tries it boots and displays a message quot Floppy Disk Failure quot and quot Drive not found Serial ATA SATA- quot and the same message for Drives and show up Also it asks me to continue loading by pressing the F Key When Windows loads the first time it displays a message saying a bunch of hardware has just been installed and ready for use Also Solved: "Floppy Disk Failure" and "Drive 1 not found" problem my internal clock resetted itself back to Monday November Which if I recall is the date when I got the computer and my speakers do not work TL Solved: "Floppy Disk Failure" and "Drive 1 not found" problem DR Version Solved: "Floppy Disk Failure" and "Drive 1 not found" problem blue screens within a short time Floppy disk fail Drivers - not found Serial ATA SATA- - Anyway I browsed through Google but I haven t seen anyone with both problems I disabled my Floppy Disk Drive and that message doesn t show up anymore but the others do and my computer still isn t fixed I ran a virus scan over night but I woke up to a black screen I use avast Antivirus with COMODO Firewall Is this a virus Is this because my hardware is old Here are the Specs Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Pentium R D CPU GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Radeon X X X Series Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc X CN G WL Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 83.42%

As the above title describes quot quot Local Area Connection quot doesn't have a valid IP configuration quot I've tried every possible fix CMD - gt ipconfig release - ipconfig renew - reboot computer nothing happens On the Network Sharing Center - I get my Network shown as quot Unidentified Network quot I tried Uninstalling and Re-Installing the NIC no luck Updating the Driver didn't help either as it says it's up-to-date I've tried manually valid configuration" Error. doesn't a IP Area Connection" "Local have assigning the IP address but I don't think I did it correctly as I am quite new with Networking problems and especially with all the IP addresses' DNS DHCP etc So I need support "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration" Error. with that and try it out whether that fix will work although I doubt at this point since I tried everything I "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration" Error. tried disabling the IPv as well that did nothing too I also RESET my router which also had no affect I am using the VIRGINMEDIA SUPER HUB ROUTER It's a Fibre Optic Connection I also called my ISP they suggested the Internet is all stable and has no connection problems The Technician I spoke to over the phone said that there is something at fault with my computer itself and not the Router or Internet connection In other words my NIC My wireless connection works without any issues but when I plug-in my Ethernet Cable on the back of my Computer Motherboard it does not detect any Internet Access and I get the quot Unidentified Network quot When I troubleshoot it gives me that error which I wrote above as the title of this threat I am clueless of what I should do I was considering to bring it to my nearest Computer amp Laptop Repair shop but it's no point since it's not really a big of a problem I just need someone to assist me with this problem who I has more knowledge in this field and quot Knows quot how to fix this issue I've been trying to fix this for a week now and not gone anywhere with it Any HELP would be much appreciated Many Thanks -Joe

A:"Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration" Error.

Lets take a peek at your network environment:

First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then:

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if found here's how.

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type type the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter. Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB drive, or a CD-R disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/local-area-connection-doesnt-have-a-valid-ip-configuration-error-653542.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hi All Happy New Year First time posting On i ended up with a bunch of viruses "Video that and viruses...HELP "Helper" Infected: folder Add contain On" Trojan on my computer From what I can gather they are bad news I down loaded PC Tools to do a search and found a bunch of Trojans and other nasties I have uploaded a screen shot of the PC Tools scan In the quot C Program Files Video Add On quot folder the following can t be deleted icmtr dll icthis isfmdl dll isfmm isfmntr In the quot C Program Files Helper quot folder the following was found turbosearchsite dll e Module What is this Do I need the file in Helper Please help PS I am not a techno savvy guy Infected: "Video Add On" and "Helper" folder that contain Trojan viruses...HELP I kinda know what is going on but only enough to get myself into trouble and not be able to get out I tried a few things to get rid of them but was unsuccessful From what I have seen I will be here for a bit Thanks in advance bassndude that s Bass as in the fish not the musical instrument - nbsp

A:Infected: "Video Add On" and "Helper" folder that contain Trojan viruses...HELP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/infected-video-add-on-and-helper-folder-that-contain-trojan-viruses-help.667700/
Relevancy 83.42%

I use XP Pro....
I keep my audio files in folders. And I don't know why every now and then when I open these folders all the files show in "Tile mode". I hate that and always convert them all to "List mode". But in a few days they go back to all showing in "Tile mode" again.

Is there a way to make all the contents of folders Always show in "List mode"?

Relevancy 83.42%

Wanted to resurrect an older thread but its closed http forums techguy org windows-xp -error-moving-file-folder-directory html Please read completely before responding I am a year IT pro most of it as a programmer I am the geek in charge of a tech non profit org in "directory not empty" is or folder" "Error file moving -- Hawaii www HawaiianHope org so yea i have at least half a clue Here is the deal In doing drive copies data recoveries etc when we are moving a mass amount of data from one drive to another we run into this problem a lot quot Error moving file or folder quot -- quot directory is not empty quot If you restart the move it will continue on "Error moving file or folder" -- "directory is not empty" and keep going restart enough times and eventually it will move all directories I think its a programming issue with windows and wonder if anyone has a work around I have a suspicion that the copy process is getting out of sequence That it is trying to move a folder before it actually emptied it Possibilities are windows forgot its place in moving through and navigating numerous sub directories and it is having a problem with recursive calls Computers with hyper threading or dual core processors are spawning the movement of files across multiple processes and some are getting ahead of the other It did actually move the file but the cache or something in memory has not updated or the full data write has not completed yet before it tried to move the directory delayed write Yes you can copy and then delete the old but that takes longer a LOT longer if the process crashes for any reason you have to start again Moving files ensures that you have everything you need the first time through Anyone else run into this problem and anyone know how to get MS to take a look I think i have seen others run into the same problem with Vista and as well with the same circumstances THANKS nbsp

A:"Error moving file or folder" -- "directory is not empty"

This is a known issue. It is by design.

As you may know, moving is in its essence an unsafe process. It would be better to use the actual sequence of copy and then delete.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-moving-file-or-folder-directory-is-not-empty.988967/
Relevancy 83.42%

HI, first of all, I found out that my home computer was infected by the lovelorn worm. Plan to clean that tonight.

Secondly, I found copies of 2 files named "folder" and "desktop" in almost all folders. The files where identical so I suspect that there is a virus that's propagating this. Is my hunch correct? Is this related to the lovelorn virus or is it another kind? What should I do?

Thanks!!!

A:files named "folder" & "desktop" in all directories.. is this a virus???

Symantec site you may want to review. I don't see anything about the file replication you are experiencing but the site may be helpful to you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/files-named-folder-desktop-in-all-directories-is-this-a-virus.146986/
Relevancy 82.99%

No doubt I'm likely the problem, but on my mentioned (clean installed) os, only the default sample music folder/files are found at start>music (in classic view).

In that I imported my music files to C:/Users/my name/My Music folder, am I expecting too much for the "My Music" files to also list in the start>music dropdown menu?

Apologies that my inexperience with W7, file sharing and libraries no doubt are the root of my 'issue'.

Relevancy 82.56%

I am trying to share my MUSIC folder on my Windows Home Server WHS to my Music Library Here is how my MUSIC folder is organized MUSIC - gt Returns "this Adding Folder l network to Error Library Songs - gt Songs - gt Songs - gt Songs - gt Songs Pretty simply structure so thought this should not be a problem If I add the entire folder to the Library only of my songs are listed In trying to understand what is happening I found that only Adding Folder to Library Returns Error "this network l of Adding Folder to Library Returns Error "this network l the sub-folders under MUSIC are included Songs and Songs Starting over I removed the quot MUSIC quot folder from the Library and then proceeded to add each sub-folder indivually What I found is I could add sub-folders Songs and Songs but adding the other sub-folders returned an error message quot this network location can't be included because it is not indexed quot If I add any new folder under MUSIC I can't add it to the Library either I'm thinking this has to be some type of security or user issue but can't think of what it would be since some of the sub-folders under MUSIC can be recognized while others including new folders can not be added Anyone have any suggestions I would like to add that I have no problem with adding my Video or Photo Folder to Library from my WHS

A:Adding Folder to Library Returns Error "this network l

*** SOLVED ***

I solved the problem. Not sure why, but even though "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" was checked, it appears this wasn't indexing. What I did was to select the directory that was not showing as being indexed, unchecked that box ("Advanced" under the "General" tab for folder properties). The clicked "OK", returned to the "General" tab and clicked "Apply". Pop-up box will show confirming attribute changes, select "Apply changes to folder, subfolders and files", "OK", then "Apply" and then let Windows update the attributes, then press OK to close the dialogue box.

I then went back in and check the box to "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" and apply to the files, subfolders, etc. I was now able to add this to the Library without any notification / error, the "Add to Library" also pops-up as option when right click on the folder (this wasn't an option previously).

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/46453-adding-folder-library-returns-error-network-l.html
Relevancy 82.56%

This is the error I got and I couldn't connect to the internet quot quot Local Area Connection quot Doesn't have a valid ip config It also stated that I had an unknown network and I couldn't get an IP from the DHCP Server for some reason I currently have it fixed somehow And would really appreciate some input Here is what I did most recently that somehow fixed it I used the 'netsh int ip reset c resetlog txt' method in the command prompt and after I restarted it still didn't work so then ""Local config a valid have Doesn't Area Connection" ip I remembered about an old computer in the garage with an ethernet card in it So I put that old dusty card it and plugged my cable ""Local Area Connection" Doesn't have a valid ip config into it instead of the default on my motherboard After a min of it trying to find and install a driver it failed and I still couldn't connect So I decided to plug it back into the motherboard ethernet if the card wasn't going to work and whala it worked I wonder if maybe it was the process of installing a new ethernet card Could somebody explain Now here is what I did before that all failed to work reset router modem rollback driver reinstall basic driver get new drivers from manufacturer website system restore to a few days ago when it worked many instances of the window troubleshooter fix not working and giving me the quot quot Local Area Connection quot Doesn't have a valid ip config quot response ipconfig release renew None of that worked not to my knowledge So I would appreciate any input on what you think happened Thanks in advance

A:""Local Area Connection" Doesn't have a valid ip config

To start off I have to say two things.
Welcome to the forums,
Sorry about the length of time before a reply 23 hours.

In you Nic card setting is Tcp/Ip v6 enabled? If yes try to disable it, there are known issues with v6. If its not enabled enable it your router may be handing out Tcp/IP v6 address.
Have you tried to set a dynamic ip address on your machine yet?

If you dont know how to set one up I would be more than happy to help you with it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/25441-local-area-connection-doesnt-have-valid-ip-config.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Music band's: Virtual Darkness & The Specialists
Peter & Frank Vanderlinden
The Specialists Records
Tentoonstellingslaan 36
9000 Gent, Belgium.
[email protected]

Dear Sir,

We have a 3CD various artists compilation cd released by megarave records.
The Album info at "Fai.music.metaservices.microsoft" is wrong.
I would like to know how we can update the correct artist meta, on
Fai.music.microsoft pleas?

Regards
Peter Vanderlinden

Under my win7 Home premium, I do not have the option "Distributed scan management" under the "turn windows 
features on or off".
Like explained on microsoft answers page.
What can I do about it?
I have tried everything from this page:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-

pictures/faimusicmetaservicesmicrosoftcom-keeps-imposing/28b4bc6b-bec9-4799-96a4-

490ad043a465?msgId=f5561ee8-8c86-4eb6-9e45-baecc6646f38

A:Music Cd & album info is incorrect at "Fai.music.metaservices.microsoft"?

Hi Frank,
WMP gets most of its album information from AMG, if you find some incorrect information in the database, here is a link you can use to submit your corrections and additional information:
Data Corrections
http://www.allmusic.com/data-corrections

For convenience, you can manually edit the tags. Once you've changed them and saved the changes, then they won't be overwritten by those of the database.
You can refer to the following article to view the detailed steps:
Add or edit media information in Windows Media Player
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Add-or-edit-media-information-in-Windows-Media-Player
Regards,
Yolanda

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/355f122f-93ac-4521-8956-28175c8c7e3d/music-cd-amp-album-info-is-incorrect-at-quotfaimusicmetaservicesmicrosoftquot?forum=w7itprohardware
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi guys I'm new here EXTERNAL WD HARD suddenly "not "unallocated" initialized" 1TB DISK and I've tried to read all the discussion about how to fix the unallocated hard drive but I just can't understand it as the cases were pretty much different than I'm WD EXTERNAL HARD DISK 1TB suddenly "unallocated" and "not initialized" facing of Here's my problem WD EXTERNAL HARD DISK 1TB suddenly "unallocated" and "not initialized" Yesterday my external hard drive seems normal everything is fine until there's a blackout and I have to put quot sleep quot to my laptop After the power got back the hard drive suddenly gone and when I check the list of drives under quot Disk Management quot it showed up as quot Disk - Unallocated quot I've attached screenshots here for your viewing My external hard drive is WD My Passport TB It contains a lot of valuable data I cannot afford to lose I really hope there's a way to fix this and once I get back all of those precious data I will buy another HD to transfer them ASAP because I cant let this happen to me again Your help is so very much appreciated Any questions regarding my problem let me know I'll provide all of the details you guys need NOTE I've tried TestDisk but on the quot Analyse quot process it says quot read error quot I've changed cable but the situation remains the same I've tried Recuva but it doesnt recognize my external drive

A:WD EXTERNAL HARD DISK 1TB suddenly "unallocated" and "not initialized"

Hi!

First don't mess up with the WD drive settings.. download partition wizard 7 (its free)..then .. open it ..click wizard(menu) .. select partition recovery wizard.. and it will find the partitions on it i think.. that way you can recover your partition that has been lost.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/334178-wd-external-hard-disk-1tb-suddenly-unallocated-not-initialized.html
Relevancy 82.56%

i want make a dvd disk for my compaq recovery, but it always shows "this is not a blank disk, please insert a blank dvd?". wut should i do to get a recovery dvd? (i have updated my drive, but nothing useful. i have tested my burner with nero, it works fine.)

A:"compaq Recovery Cd/dvd Creator"!!! why it always shows "this is not a blank disk"?

plz help!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-recovery-cd-dvd-creator-why-it-always-shows-this-is-not-a-blank-disk.316741/
Relevancy 82.56%

My hard drive not showing in "my computer" or "Disk Management" but is showing under device manager. I got the hard drive from a friend and his dad had put a Password encryption on it. Any Ideas?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/60253-hard-drive-not-showing-my-computer-disk-managment-help.html
Relevancy 82.56%

I have four external drives (FAT32) and opened Partition Magic a couple of days ago. It said one drive was "BAD". MS Disk Administrator says drive is "Healthy".

I am able to access this drive through Windows Explorer and do anything I want with the data. This appears to be a false reading by Partition Magic but I am not completely convinced of this because it has been such a good program for many years.

Do you think I have a failing drive?

A:Partition Magic says drive "BAD". Disk Administrator says "Healthy"

I wouldn't trust either program. Find out the manufacturer of the hard drive and download their hard drive diagnostics. The manufacturer's own tests should give you a much better idea if its in good shape or not.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partition-magic-says-drive-bad-disk-administrator-says-healthy.452337/
Relevancy 81.7%

I used this "hide a folder" program called "folder lock," and I guess it's buggy because it won't let me unhide the files. It unhides the folder containing the files, but the files are still hidden. They're still there, because when I copy and paste the folder, it shows that the files are being copied, but in the new folder they will be hidden again. Checking the "property" of the folder shows the correct size as well. How can I get windows to reveal them?

The hidden files are listed in this folder called "n|+|-n" or something like that I think, but when I type that in dos or windows it won't let me access them.

PS I contacted the company, but I don't expect a response back any time soon and those files are kind of important.

Thanks!

A:How to "unhide" a folder hidden by a "hidefolder" utility?

Welcome to TSG....

And of course you did not or don't have any backups of these files on any other media?

Actually the only way to gain access to these files is by contacting the manufacturer of the security program ir you would have to learn how to program good enough to bew able to get into the secure area. To the best of my knowledge since this is a security thing and we have no way of knowing whether or not you actually have the rights to get into these files I doubt if you will get much direction toward solving your problem.

Go with contacting the manufacturer of the software.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-unhide-a-folder-hidden-by-a-hidefolder-utility.559939/
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi, I'm using Windows 8.1 x64 and I'd like to add to the MAIN menu of context menu (just right-clicking) the options to create a New Folder and a New Text Document. Right now I have to go to the "New" option and then select Folder or Text Document.

Thanks!

A:Add "New Folder" and "New Text Document" in context menu

This may help:

How to Add Any Application Shortcut to Windows Explorer?s Context Menu

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/43061-add-new-folder-new-text-document-context-menu.html