Windows Support Forum

Creating a Admin account and getting my default user.

Q: Creating a Admin account and getting my default user.

I just reformatted my pc and reinstalled a new OS. Anyways in my old OS I had somehow managed to active admin account/rights. I remember doing this because I was installing a theme and had to mess around with .dll files in windows folders.

Anyways the reason I want to get the admin account back is to do the same thing and also I dislike having to click on show processors from all users in task manager..

My question is how to active the admin account which lets me do all of this.. And then get rid of the default user account so I don't need have to select between admin and user when I turn on my computer all the time..

Hope my question was clear.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Creating a Admin account and getting my default user.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Creating a Admin account and getting my default user.

Hello Ringo,

If you like, the tutorial below will help show you how to enable the built-in elevated "Administrator" account that you can use when you need full rights and access to the PC.

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable

The tutorial below is for an elevated Task Manager shortcut that'll open Task Manager with "Show processes from all users" already clicked on.

Task Manager - Create Elevated Shortcut

Next, you can use the tutorial below to set Windows to automatically log on to a user account of your choice at startup.

Log On Automatically at Startup

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/351737-creating-admin-account-getting-my-default-user.html
Relevancy 97.18%

Hi all,
I am creating an image for my new model PC and looking to modify the default settings pulled once a new domain user logs onto the machine for the first time. I don't want to have the default profile on the network, but have it on the local machine. I have seen articles about modifying an exisiting profile on the PC (ei. Administrator) and then copying it to the "All users" profile, but haven't been able to get that to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Al

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/creating-a-default-user-account-315340.html
Relevancy 97.18%

I have always been running admin and even until now I run as admin. But, I have been doing a little bit of research and realize that using a standard account is a safer practice. I have never even used a standard account. Is using a standard account a better practice? Also, how does doing average task such as installing programs and updating work through the standard user account?

A:Using default admin account vs standard user account

Its safer to always run programs with lower privileges, and run as administrator when needed. Personally, I like my UAC set to the max. Basically, it stops programs from messing with your PC without permission.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/192765-using-default-admin-account-vs-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I just user when admin non made Lost Admin account account made a non admin user account on my Dell Inspiron windows xp laptop When I went online to sign in under my account admin it is no longer there My name Penne is there and Lost Admin user account when made non admin account so is my daughters I click on my name put my password in and it takes me to the desktop for my daughter and ALL my stuff is gone PLEASE HELP I have googled this and the only thing Lost Admin user account when made non admin account I am seeing is that you need to sign in under an Admin user account to fix this and get my stuff back THere is Lost Admin user account when made non admin account NO admin user account so how can I get it all back I did the F and went to restore to previous point and that didnt work I know there is a way to go to the restore calendar and find a day that her user account was not on there like last week so this might work but I dont know how to find this PLEASE help as all of my EVERYTHING is on my user account and I am lost without it all have a retreat this weekend and I need all of my sheet music and my songs Thanks so much PENNE nbsp

Relevancy 81.7%

I am trying to create a non admin user account, which I know how to do the simple way, however I have been using the admin user account for a while now however I want to transfer/copy program setting, etc to this knew user account.

so I want to: create a non admin user account which is duplicate of the current existing admin account but from her on to install software etc I install under admin account.

I am using Vista too

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
David Lambie

A:How do I copy existing admin user account to normal user account

I would
> Create the new profile with admin privileges
> Transfer stuff things to the new profile (see here)
> Then remove admin privilege from the new account

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-copy-existing-admin-user-account-to-normal-user-account.146098/
Relevancy 80.41%

I have a Dell XPS 9100 with Windows 7 Prof. I am using the user account made during the initial bootup of the new computer, to make the desired settings and adding software installations. However after I finish with the initial tweaking, I will reduce the account privileges from Administrator to Standard user level. However, before I change the account level, I will make another user account with administrator user level.

Is there a way to have the new user account have the same settings as the initial user account when it is Simimade, such as copying, etc? I am not looking forward to manually making all of the sames changes/settings that I have made in the initial bootup user account, to the new user account with administrator privileges.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions regarding the above. Thanks Sam

A:Creating a New User Account Similar to an Existing User Account

Hello Scams,

About as close as you can get to this would be to create a new administrator account with the name you like, then copy all of the contents of the old user account's C:\Users\(user-name) folders (including hidden AppData folder) into the corresponding new account's C:\Users\(user-name) folder. After everything checks out ok, you can delete the old user account while logged in the new user account.

It will copy most of your settings, like your Start Menu shortcuts, to the new account, but items stored in the registry, like your desktop background, would have to be reset again.

Hope this helps some,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/114431-creating-new-user-account-similar-existing-user-account.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Hello All I'm delighted No to accounts change /Cannot Admin admin user account existing Access to have found you and after a long day of trying to help myself i am now requiring your much appreciated assistance please I'm not a techy person at all and am hoping someone can help Last week my husband purchased a new hp laptop which No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account came with Windows On setup i used my No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account microsoft account to login with a pin the account was setup as administrator No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account thinking i could change things later About days later i added a standard user account for my husband with a microsoft account login with pin I wanted to make his the administrator account but thought i had better change mine to a standard account first My mistake Now i cannot change anything i have tried to use the cmd prompt to run as administrator - it asks for administrator permission and does not allow me to enter a password or yes I have tried all suggestions to enable the hidden windows account but all ask for the same permission I have tried to go to setup recovery troubleshoot advanced option system restore - it requests an administrator password and when i entered what i thought is mine it does not work Feeling a little Does anybody know anyway i can go back in time to start again or how do i access administrator rights as i really need to add programs etc Thank you for any help given

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/61945-no-admin-access-cannot-change-existing-user-accounts-admin-account.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi,
I have been looking for this answer for 2 days and can not find anyone who has had similair problem.

THere are 2 accounts Administrator and Kenmystro/administrator. I have the password for both and can access both. win 7 Ultimate Hp8510.
I have already selected all user permissions and taken ownership in every box I could find for Kenmystro/admin. the UAC is at minimum and the security centre is off. Run as admin on right click does not help.
It does not matter which of the 2 accounts I log into when I try install certain HP software(Maintenance
& some drivers) it says I do not have admin privileges.

This is driving me nuts can anyone help??

Relevancy 78.26%

*DISCLAIMER* I don't know if this is illegal or not, so please, dont kill me

anyways, how would one make an administrative account with just a standard user account, my school is a nazi and I really want to be able to disable useless crap that isnt necessary

btw, I am lucky to have a user account, they usually just give you access to "my documents" and nothing else on the computer

A:Creating admin account

Let me ask you something...do you own anything?If you do...do you allow potentially irresponsible persons to freely access everything/anything that YOU own?I think that accurately represents the position of a school or other entity...which allows users to access their property...under terms they (the potential users) freely agree to.I could be wrong, but that's the way I see if...that doesn't smell of Nazism or anything other than the uncommon "common sense" that we often speak of.Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/252402/creating-admin-account/
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi guys, just the title of the thread pretty much says it all.
want to create a really limited user account for the kids of the house. I already have a user account, and have tried to set up a limited one through control panel. But that asks me to first create an Administer Account, which i already have. So it would be pointless if i had two Administer Accounts showing up on the welcome screen.
Also i'm kind of a novice at this, but i am keen to learn. so help with privacy and parental control would be appreciated.

Thanks

A:Creating a Limited User Account without having the create an Adminster Account first.

log off your user account and login as administrator,to get admin acc. ctrl_alt_del do it twice, if the admin one is not seen then login create the user account and edit the permissions

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/creating-a-limited-user-account-without-having-the-create-an-adminster-account-first.947709/
Relevancy 76.97%

I'm the only user on this laptop and my admin account to Profile/Account User admin problem (can't account) login original was called quot HybridPC quot and I disabled the windows login screen Turn computer on and goes right to desktop One day the welcome screen popped up out of nowhere and I had to login I tried disabling the login screen to where it was before and now I've screwed things up royally I cannot login to my original admin account or find it All the files are still there on my C Users HybridPC folder but I've lost the profile and user I think I messed things up further by trying to create delete other new user accounts I've attached screenshots showing my C users folder User account screen and the netplwiz exe profiles I've been adding deleting and can't get back to square one I don't see my user at all on the welcome screen Thanks for your help Top User Folder is new today and odd looking as I was attempting to fix on my own

A:User Profile/Account problem (can't login to original admin account)

Hello tytlyf, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Let's start to see if you disabled or deleted your "HybridPC" by using the tutorial below to get details about all accounts on your computer while you are logged in to your "Admin" account, then post back with them. Afterwards, we can go from there.

User Accounts - View Detailed Information About in Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/357762-user-profile-account-problem-cant-login-original-admin-account.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hey, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium on my HP Pavilion Slimline Desktop and I need help getting my Standard user account back to Administrator. I can't run certain programs and I also can't install and uninstall anything. I don't have the Windows 7 Installation Disk to do restore. I have already tried Safe Mode and I can't enable and built in admin either. Please help me! Thank you!

A:How can I put my Standard user account back to Administrator when the ASP.NET Machine account is admin?

How are you trying to change the type of account?I don't have the Windows 7 Installation Disk to do restoreDo you mean System Restore? If you are, you don't need the installation disk to do this.To use System Restore click on the start orb. In the search box type in System Restore. In the list of results click on System Restore, if you are prompted for an administrator password type it in.Follow the prompts to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/479959/how-can-i-put-my-standard-user-account-back-to-administrator-when-the-aspnet-machine-account-is-admin/
Relevancy 76.97%

I ve just installed a new copy of Windows Ultimate By default the first user account as declared in windows setup is set at administrator level I want to run this main account as a standard user but when I went to change this in account settings the option to change the account to standard was greyed out I decided to enable the administrator account to change this hidden user, account Run account with standard as main admin computer management local Run main account as standard user, with admin account hidden users and groups un-ticked account is disabled I logged on as administrator then changed the main account to standard As the Administrator account is now enabled it shows on the welcome screen I don t want this I went back and disabled it running computer management as admin in the now standard account and re-ticked account is disabled technically this should be how it was before I touched it except the main account is now at standard user level rather than administrator level The problem i have now is when trying to run anything on the standard account that needs admin rights i get the UAC box asking to enter admin password which is blank but there is no administrator icon or password field and the yes button is greyed out How can I have my main account as standard user the administrator account not showing on welcome screen but allowing it admin to authorise actions on the standard account that required admin rights via UAC i e when UAC comes up I can click yes to run as administrator At the moment the correct process happens but yes is greyed out when the admin account is disabled When the admin account is enabled this works yes button not greyed out but the administrator account shows on the welcome screen which i don t want

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/482436/run-main-account-as-standard-user-with-admin-account-hidden/
Relevancy 76.97%

I have a set of folder I encrypted from my user account. I haven't figured out how to access them from my admin account.

In reverse, while logged on my admin account, I droppped some files into folder encrypted by my user account. I can't access those files when I log on as a user.

How can I get access to all my encrypted files regardless of which logon I use?

A:Access my user account encrypted files from my admin account?

Umm...if you could access encrypted files from another user that would remove the whole point of encrypting the files to begin with.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/180997-access-my-user-account-encrypted-files-my-admin-account.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi does anyone know what happens if I mistakenly deleted a user account When I open my computer then right click on the quot This pc quot there is a option called quot Manage quot Then under manage there are user accounts I mistakenly deleted the quot Administrators quot group from my current account Only left is standard user group The admin account is password protected and I have the password Is it possible to log into the admin account and changed Accidentaly user account account to admin standard change promote back my current account I did try to right click quot manage quot but I get this window attached file with no place to put the password That is slightly annoying I was trying to reassign myself back in the admin group I was thinking of making an account which can modify all items such adding hardware and items under quot Device manager quot etc but just limit to not being able to just make a new admin full access account Seems that deleting the admin solves the Accidentaly changed admin account to standard user account not being able to make a new account but in the process I'm locked out from the admin settings Is it possible to create a super-user account just limiting not being able to make new user accounts and have access to all such as device manager It would be nice to not have to log into admin account just to check newly installed hardware Currently on standard user I am unable to go to quot device manager quot and other admin based stuff with that admin shield logo Thanks

A:Accidentaly changed admin account to standard user account

From desktop, hold CTRL+ALT then press DEL keyClick on Switch UserType: Administrator and enter the passwordOnce you are in, Win+X->Command Prompt(Admin)Type: net localgroup administrators username /add <======== replace username with your namesign out and sign back in with your name.

NOTE: In step 3, I Assume that you have the built in Admin turned on and you said you have the password.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/47233-accidentaly-changed-admin-account-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Hello, I am on a domain at my job and amd setting up a laptop for a user. We always set everyone up on the domain, but I am wanting to set up a local admin account, not on our domain so they cannot access all of our files. What is the best way to go about this?

A:Creating a local admin account NOT on domain

Hello Mike,

I don't have any experience with domains, but you might see if the local built-in elevated Administrator account may work for this.

Hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/306910-creating-local-admin-account-not-domain.html
Relevancy 76.11%

After installing windows home I logged in with whatever default account there is I then logged in with my Microsoft account to pull down some settings but then switched over to a local account so nothing else gets synced Things have since been working fine until this qualifies now in admin built the as user account account My morning Now for some My user account now qualifies as the built in admin account reason my user account is recognized as the built-in admin account My user account now qualifies as the built in admin account and I can not longer My user account now qualifies as the built in admin account run any of the modern apps that I downloaded or those that come preinstalled including edge the cmd command net users lists my account as the defaultAccount so at least that's consistent I have tried the solution offered here Settings can t be opened using the Built-in Administrator account in Windows - Super User to no success I am unable to begin the prompt to create a new user account located in settings gt accounts gt Family amp Other Users Which brings the to point of me having no idea what to do I can't create a new account to transition to I can't give my account the ability to run these apps which is preferred

A:My user account now qualifies as the built in admin account

Hi, press the win + r key's together in the run dialogue box type:- lusrmgr.msc press OK, expand Users find your account and right click, select properties, what is it a member of? Do you have other accounts?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/my-user-account-now-qualifies-as-the-built-in-admin-account-1115449.html
Relevancy 76.11%

My computer was set up using a single user account with admin privileges and all apps have been installed. In order to minimize the virus threat I now want to create a user account without admin privileges, but be able to access all apps and itunes library that I have already installed using the admin account.

Please let me have a step by step method how I should set about doing this

My system : i3 windows 8.1 4GB RAM 500GB HD

Thankyou

A:How 2 transfer apps from Admin account to ltd user account

I'd go to Control Panel, Users Account and add a new Standard account. The new name only has to be one character different. The new account should be able to do most things but will be quite limited in making changes to the computer.
How Microsoft Overhauled User Accounts In Windows 8
I'd leave the existing account alone, should always have at least one that has administrative rights. There is an actual Administrator account but it is hidden on purpose.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/59044-how-2-transfer-apps-admin-account-ltd-user-account.html
Relevancy 76.11%

hello every one
I was hoping if some one could help me at this.
I had created a local account in my machine which is a part of a small office network. and given it administrative rights. every once in a while the account gets downgraded to a limited user account and a I had to go all the way to control panel to reset the settings for that specific user account. I tried background check on the machine to check it for possible malware or virus infection but couldn't find anything.
could it be the user profile settings getting changed athomatically due several usages or could it be log file getting full or needs to be cleared?
so much in need for help

A:admin account gets downgraded to limited user account

possibly because that comp didnt come with Ultimate and when it re-activates, it uses the true Admin account and resets the others.

Roy

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/398805-admin-account-gets-downgraded-limited-user-account.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hello I've got a problem I've been tasked with creating a lightweight build of Windows to run in kiosk mode here at work I've got kiosk mode running well where the only app the user has access to is Internet Explorer using a custom shell However now I'm going through and trying to lock everything down to Preventing Users Admin Account New Creating AppLocker From prevent the user from downloading and installing stuff accessing C etc I've enabled applocker and auto-generated all the rules I did this for Executables Windows Installer Files as AppLocker Preventing Admin Account From Creating New Users well as Pre-Packaged Apps however I'm running into a problem Even though I have all the rules for the pre-packaged apps set to quot allow quot for the administrators group it still won't allow me to create new users any more when using the built-in Administrator account When I go to 'Settings - gt Users - gt Create New User quot the mouse wheel spins for a little bit and a window opens and closes instantly but that's all I ended up going into System Lusrmgr and creating a new admin account that way but even after adding this new account to the admin group and signing out in rebooting etc this new admin account can't access any of the pre-packaged apps like the default Administrator account can If I am understanding AppLocker and the rules for the pre-packaged apps correctly since I have all the rules set to quot allow quot for the quot builtin-administrators quot group shouldn't my new admin account have full privileges Also why can't the default administrator account create new users from quot Settings - gt Users quot Something doesn't seem to be working right to me or I'm doing something wrong very possible Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated Thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/50707-applocker-preventing-admin-account-creating-new-users.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Can someone run through a step by step guide to becoming an administrator in PalTalk. I have attempted this before, but I am having no luck.

Cheers

Matt

PS. Any other useful little hint tips in PalTalk would be appreciated.

A:Solved: Creating An Admin User In Pal Talk?

Don't worry I Have worked this one out now!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-creating-an-admin-user-in-pal-talk.47210/
Relevancy 75.25%

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64x and apparently the default user account (Owner) that I use is not working correctly. Unless I have UAC set to Never Notify, I cannot open Control Panel or UAC again. I have created a second user account as Administrator and it works correctly.

I would like to know if there is any way to fix this problem short of a clean install of Windows. If not, is it possible to move all of my settings to the user account that works correctly and delete the one that does not.

Thanks

A:Solved: Default User Account (Administrator) acts like Standard Account

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-default-user-account-administrator-acts-like-standard-account.1024887/
Relevancy 75.25%

I have a local user account that comes up as the default user when Windows10 boots up that I would like to remove.

I have tried the usual user modification menus but this account does not show up. It is annoying to have to go through this false log in every time I start the computer.

Help?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/62651-delete-local-user-account-change-default-account-start-up.html
Relevancy 74.82%

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64x and apparently the default user account (Owner) that I use is not working correctly. Unless I have UAC set to Never Notify, I cannot open Control Panel or UAC again. When I try, I get the error message listed below. I have created a second user account as Administrator and it works correctly.

I would like to know if there is any way to fix this problem short of a clean install of Windows. If not, is it possible to move all of my settings to the user account that works correctly and delete the one that does not.

Thanks

A:Default User Account (Administrator) acts like Standard Account

Hello,

Right click Computer and click manage. On the left hand side there will be local users and groups. Go to the Administrators group and just confirm that the Owner account is in there?
Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/194854-default-user-account-administrator-acts-like-standard-account.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Up until a few weeks ago, I thought I was using an administrator account. The thing was, I didn't realize I was using the Administrator account (I stopped for a moment when I was logging in and realized that the name of my account was Administrator).
Are there any "terrible" risks with using the default Admin account and should I create another minor Admin account to use instead? If so, will my documents, important files, etc. be transfered?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/68433/using-the-default-admin-account/
Relevancy 74.82%

I'm trying to help Glennc with his user acounts and wanted to replicate his problem. This meant enabling the Default Admin user account.I have never had occasion to use this before but ran cmd as administrator and typed "net user administrator /active:yes"
The process finished OK and I rebooted but no Admin account. I have just one account with my name (John). No password so normally boot straight in with no login. Can't get Admin to show.
Must have done something wrong but for the life of me i can't see where>
Any help please!

A:Can't see Default Admin account

Hello Mitchell,

Do you have a C:\Users\Administrator folder?

If you log off from the Start Menu instead of restarting, do you have the Administrator log on icon available there?

If you are not getting a log on option at boot for either account, then you might check to see if auto log on may have been turned on for your user account. If so, turning it off should allow both log on icons to be available at startup.

If not, then you might see if you may be able to enable the built-in Administrator account using a different option below instead, and hopefully have the Administrator user folder afterwards.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/142730-cant-see-default-admin-account.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, or even if this is possible, but...

Is there any possible way to make it so that my normal account can be transformed into an administrator account?

In order to make one of my games function properly, I need to enter the task manager and set the affinity so that the game uses 1 core to operate. In order to do this, I have to run the application, switch user accounts (from mine to the admin), set the affinity there, then switch back.

It gives me no option to apply administrative settings when I try to set the affinity on my main account, it just tells me I can't.

Any help would be great, thanks!

A:Making User Account into Admin Account

Quote: Originally Posted by StevenBonnellII

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, or even if this is possible, but...

Is there any possible way to make it so that my normal account can be transformed into an administrator account?

In order to make one of my games function properly, I need to enter the task manager and set the affinity so that the game uses 1 core to operate. In order to do this, I have to run the application, switch user accounts (from mine to the admin), set the affinity there, then switch back.

It gives me no option to apply administrative settings when I try to set the affinity on my main account, it just tells me I can't.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Hi ans welcome to seven forums

Why not either run as admin all the time, or Run with elevated rughts? There is even a tutorial on how to run elevated rights in the tutorial section here on SF

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/22850-making-user-account-into-admin-account.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hello all I need some guidance please I have a chess software program that I installed on my not account but account... run party SW User 3rd in Admin will Admin user account for W bit OS The program is a bit older and would not run after installation on my W OS After I went into the properties and compatibility mode and selected the option to run as if my OS was Windows XP Service Pack then the program started running and working great My 3rd party SW will run in Admin account but not User account... problem is that if I use a different User Account other than admin and try to run the program it gives me an error message and won't start I also selected 3rd party SW will run in Admin account but not User account... the compatibility mode for Windows XP SP in the other user account but it didn't help Finally I went to Control Panel - Programs and Features with the thought to try to uninstall and reinstall the program and the chess program isn't even listed with my other installed programs and yet it still runs just fine on my Admin account Any guidance or thoughts on this matter would be most appreciated Regards Gavin

A:3rd party SW will run in Admin account but not User account...

Welcome
Gavin, did you give permission to the other user to use the game
Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups

You may also want to have it run as adminstrastor, when in the none adminstrator account
Run as Administrator

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/150798-3rd-party-sw-will-run-admin-account-but-not-user-account.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi Folks,  i like to use on demand scanners alongside my regular AV and i do this when i'm in my Admin account,  now when i go to my user account do i need to do the scans for it as well ?

Thanks

A:Question about Admin account and user account

This might be of interest: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/198067/anti-malware-scan-on-a-computer-with-different-users/

Regards.....................

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/502482/question-about-admin-account-and-user-account/
Relevancy 74.39%

Grettings,

Our small company (150-200) employees has pushed through the initiate to remove admin rights from all users. We are down to two departments, (QA/DEV) and have removed rights from a test group for starters.

Our Dev department edits the host file through a notepad while running notepad as an admin.

I have given a regular user full permissions to the host file but she still needs to run notepad as an admin to edit the host file. Is there any way to create an exception for notepad or is there are workaround for this issue?

Thanks
-B

A:Creating Exception for Notepad so Normal User can run as Admin

Could you not just modify the permissions on the host file to give the dev dept user group full control or read/write/modify?

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/353922-creating-exception-notepad-so-normal-user-can-run-admin.html
Relevancy 73.96%

While trying to create a second administrator user account today, the default administrator profile seems to have disappeared -- i.e., it stopped showing up in the startup screen as an option. What's worse, all of the files under that profile now seem to be gone. Not a huge deal, because most of it is backed up, but I did lose some recent stuff.

Any ideas?

FYI, this computer is not connected to the internet.

Many thanks.

Relevancy 73.96%

Just loaded 7 and the administrator account is disabled by default. Now since the only account available is a guest account, how do I get logged in as the administrator? How do I make it active with no admin rights?

A:Admin Account Disabled By Default

The account you created during setup will be a member of the administrators group.

The builtin Administrator account is always disabled in Vista or Windows 7 when the OS is installed except under the following circumstances.

1. You do an upgrade install, and the only active Administrator account on the previous install was the builtin Administrator account.

or

2. You insert a synchronous command in an unattend answer file that enables the builtin account during one of the later installation phases.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/30320-admin-account-disabled-default.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Hi all ... I remember that Win XP has the Default Hidden Admin Account that is created when you install the OS and also by default it's not password secured which can be a security issue. By doing a quick search, apparently Win 8 also have this Default Hidden Admin Account.
When in Win8 I verify the available created users I see an Admin account. Is this account the 'hidden' one, but made visible?
I also did the prompt cmd: net user administrator /active:yes, but I get a msg saying that there is 'no' user under the name 'administrator' ... maybe the admin user I'm seeing is a microsoft account, not a local account?

A:Default Hidden Admin Account

Hello Ken, and welcome to Eight Forums.

The account with the default name "Administrator" is indeed the built-in elevated Administrator account. If you have a Pro version of Windows 8, then you could use Option Three below to see what it's named.

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

Type net users in a command prompt to see the names of all user accounts on the PC to see if you have Administrator or one that may be for it. If this is an OEM PC, then sometimes they may rename the account to something else.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/49933-default-hidden-admin-account.html
Relevancy 73.96%

I've always used an admin account on my home unshared computer I've always known I shouldn't I'm considering taking the plunge and using a non-admin account by default I've been experimenting for by account UAC a default, considerations and Using non-admin a few weeks with Using a non-admin account by default, and UAC considerations two accounts for myself on a fresh unfinished install I was almost sold on the idea when a few straws broke the camel's back After considerable work I was able to build a single Firefox profile shared by both accounts However I now realise that I will now have to replicate this for all my software and try to tweak them so they look and act the same whoever the user is me This will usually entail taking out vital data and settings out of AppData and putting them in a common folder But not all applications allow that and those which do may not allow it for all the relevant data I have many portable software but sometimes you have to install Software data and user customisations are updated continuously so just exporting and importing those data once in a while between accounts will not do Just having a different menu set on the same program depending if one's acting as an admin or not is enough to lower one's proficiency on the machine and therefore one's safety I use the driving metaphor suppose you drive normally most of the time with your wife and kids Suddenly you need to drive very fast to bring a relative to the hospital You know this is dangerous and you have to be especially alert How would react if a prankster had moved the dials and controls all over your car precisely at that moment and the brake was now on the right I read everywhere how User Access Control has become super-intelligent in Windows I can live with having to type the admin's password now and then but being stopped-and-searched by the UAC police just because I want to launch Windows' Resource Monitor or change a few settings in the Everything search tool takes the biscuit Besides my understanding is you don't run as admin even when you're in your admin account You still get UAC warnings when your rights need to be elevated The difference is you click them away as opposed to having to type a password when you're non admin And I suppose you get less of those warnings when you're an admin But UAC is far from being foolproof against malware as this very interesting post stresses So isn't UAC mainly designed to prevent allegedly ignorant users from tweaking the system in an unwanted way rather than to prevent malware installing Even Microsoft seems to say that the standard user accounts are meant for situations where there are actually several users and one boss IT manager office workers father children Isn't UAC meant to protect the boss against his users rather than an individual user against external malware More than once I asked if one should make a habit of using a non admin account by default and on the expected positive answer asked if the adviser ran under non admin himself the answer being no that's for the unwashed masses only Any thoughts

A:Using a non-admin account by default, and UAC considerations

I use non-admin accounts.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/597293/using-a-non-admin-account-by-default-and-uac-considerations/
Relevancy 73.53%

Until recently my wife and I have been the only users of our laptops so we ve simply used the Administrator account to log in We now have a -year-old granddaughter living with us who uses my wife s computer sure ain t using mine She mostly just does Facebook and YouTube Account Creating New User When I recently returned from a trip my wife said her computer was Creating New User Account quot messed up quot An understatement indeed I found ten infected files mostly PUPs six miscellaneous new toolbars five newly installed programs I d never heard of and a mess of continuous popup ads All this despite the fact the computer is I thought pretty well protected Avast MBAM Creating New User Account SpywareBlaster Windows firewall and has never before been infected After an hour or so I had everything cleaned up and back to normal So to my problem The OS is Win Home Premium -bit I want to creat a user account for the kid that will not allow any program downloads installations or system changes whatsoever She isn t intentially trying to mess things up she just doesn t understand some of the dangers of the internet I know how to creat a user account but not how to configure it for what I want to do or even see what its default parameters are Parental controls do not seem to cover this situation Any assistance would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 73.53%

I have an administrator account and would like to create a quot user quot account as well that also enables me to sign in to my computer to enter the start screen I have read that you really shouldn't use your administrator account all the time just use it to make changes updates etc Will this new account take me to the same place as my administrator account if I use the same info to create the user account as I used for the administrator account I only ask this because on my HP laptop with the help of my internet provider back another for Creating account User me...... in Jan I am using Creating another User account for me...... my Verizon account for e-mails instead of the program that came with the PC and I also created my quot favorites quot list as well I enter my Verizon account using the internet icon So can this be done I've read several support articles from HP support but they didn't give any info if I could do this Thank you

A:Creating another User account for me......

Hello Juliet, and welcome to Eight Forums.

If you mean for a Microsoft account, then you will not be able to use the same email address to create another Microsoft account on the same computer.

If you have UAC set to "Always Notify" (top level), then you'll always be prompted to approve doing anything that requires elevation (Run as administrator).
User Account Control (UAC) - Change Settings in Windows 8
Personally, as long as you are not using the built-in "elevated" Administrator account for everyday purposes, then you are fine to use your normal administrator account.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/44227-creating-another-user-account-me.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I know, the MS way is to use SysPrep, but that seems enormously OTT when all I want to do is create a Windows 7 Default Profile for our domain.

So, according to my (Google driven) research an easier method is toLogon with a user account
Make it 'so' (i.e. set the default profile how you want it for all new users)
Log off
Log on as Admin
Rename c:\users\default (as default.bak, or .old, whatever)
Rename the folder for the user account used in step 1 to 'default'
Apply Full control permissions to 'Everyone' on the new Default folder.
Simples!

Except that at step 7 I get 'Access Denied' on many of the profile's sub-folders...be that with our domain's administrator account or the local administartor account.

Am I doing something wrong (polite answers only, please!)?

A:Creating a new Default user profile for our domain

One thing that could cause this issue is the fact that the user folder tree contains some symbolic links for compatability with badly written older programs, that assume the folder name will always be the same, over OS changes.

The default for these symlinks is to have a deny permission set for all users including admins to prevent the accidental creation of endless loop situations, where links are called for folders they link to

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/182723-creating-new-default-user-profile-our-domain.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi all,

I have a standard administrator account in my name in C:\user and a guest account and both accounts are working fine.Now when i try to create a new local account say "test",i cant log in to that account and gives me error "User Profile Service failed the sign in.User profile cant be loaded"

I get the same error if i create built in administrator account using "net user administrator /active:yes" and then try logging into the administrator account.

I tried to follow Brink's tutorial about fixing corrupted user profiles but in regedit i cant find the SID with .bak extension and such.

I have no clue what to do next.

TIA

A:Creating new user account error

Hello dreamer,

Unfortunately, a user's profile is not created until the first time you are able to successfully sign in to the account.

You might see if doing a system restore using a restore point dated before you started getting this user profile error to see if it may help.

If not, then you may need to refresh Windows to fix it.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/55548-creating-new-user-account-error.html
Relevancy 72.67%

hi guys i have a question about creating a new user

i created a new user account on my sony VAIO notebook "windows 7" for friends or family who wants to use my laptop. i opened up the "my computer" and i see the files that i have on my own account.. i was wondering if there was a way to create a new user account and not have my files in the account... is this possible ?? i dont want to create a guest account as it cant use some programs that are installed..

if its not possible to have a second new C drive with none of my files.. i guess my last option is to open up a guest account

thank you guys for your time !!
have a wonderful holiday and a new year !!

A:question about creating a new user account

If you created a normal user account and not an administrative user account, you should be able to log into that new account and not have access to those files.

If you are seeing something you do not want, maybe you could restrict access to certain folders so other normal users could not see that folder.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/49536-question-about-creating-new-user-account.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Until recently my wife and I have been the only users of our laptops so we've simply used the Administrator account to log in We now have a -year-old granddaughter living with us who uses my wife's computer sure ain't using mine She mostly just does Facebook and YouTube New Configuring User and Account Creating When I recently returned from a trip my wife said her computer was quot messed up quot An understatement indeed I found ten infected files mostly PUPs six miscellaneous new toolbars five newly installed programs I'd never heard of and a mess of continuous popup ads All this despite the fact the computer is I Creating and Configuring New User Account thought pretty well protected Avast MBAM SpywareBlaster Windows firewall and has never before been infected After an hour or so I had everything cleaned up and back to normal So to my problem The OS is Win Home Premium -bit I want to creat a user account for the kid that will not allow any program downloads installations or system changes whatsoever She isn't intentially trying to mess things up she just doesn't understand some of the dangers of the internet I know how to creat a user account and know about the guest account but not how to configure either for what I want to do or even see what the default parameters are Parental controls do not seem to cover this situation Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

A:Creating and Configuring New User Account

Hi there, please have a look at this tutorial.
Parental Controls - Setup and Use

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/302311-creating-configuring-new-user-account.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hello-
I work in a library, and I use Windows XP Pro.
We would like to create a new account, or alter a older one to have limited
internet access, pretty much the databases we subscribe too, and anything
we can link off the website, without letting them go anywhere else.
Can anyone make a suggestion?

A:Creating a Network User account

There is more to limiting user internet access then just creating an account

Since most library's have multiple public internet stations this is best handled thru the internet router.

Alternately you can install internet monitoring software and configure it to restrict the user account.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/creating-a-network-user-account-521251.html
Relevancy 72.67%

My mother downloaded a virus to her computer. I want to prevent this from happening again so I want to create a user account that does not allow downloading of anything.

From what I read, a Standard account will not allow any type of downloading or installation.

However I was able to download and install Windows Essentials while logged into her account. Why is this?

Someone suggested the following. Would this work?

To disable UAC prompt and deny admin rights all together, set "Local Policies \ Security Options \ User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for standard users" to "Automatically deny elevation requests" in security policy.

Where do I access Security Policy?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/62303-creating-user-account-does-not-allow-downloads.html
Relevancy 72.67%

My mother downloaded a virus to her computer. I want to prevent this from happening again so I want to create a user account that does not allow downloading of anything.

From what I read, a Standard account will not allow any type of downloading or installation.

However I was able to download and install Windows Essentials while logged into her account. Why is this?

Someone suggested the following. Would this work?

To disable UAC prompt and deny admin rights all together, set "Local Policies \ Security Options \ User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for standard users" to "Automatically deny elevation requests" in security policy.

Where do I access Security Policy?

A:Creating a user account that does not allow downloads

A Standard account doesn't block internet access. You could create a Child account and see if the restrictions are adequate for your needs. See Child Account - Add or Remove from Your Family in Windows 10 and https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...t-child-limits

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/62303-creating-user-account-does-not-allow-downloads.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi there i have a problem with my computer Everything Creating Administator (user) Help Account Need on my administrator account user has been deleted Need Help Creating Administator Account (user) i dnt know how it just says 'The User Profile Service service Failed The Logon User Profile Cannot be Loaded' so i need to know how to create a new one Luckily i have another account user which is my wifes but is not an administrator account user so im unable to access alot of things Ive tryed accesing it through my wifes account but when i type the administrator password it does nothing to allow me access although it accepts the password but doesn't react Ive tryed everything on her account in order to make a new administrator account but no luck as it does nothing Ive also tryed in safe mode now it lets my administrator account logon in safe mode and when i go to my downloads documents e t c the folders are empty which they shoudn't be because Need Help Creating Administator Account (user) i had things stored there they've been deleted and probably a whole lot more things aswell which is obvious otherwise it wouldn't say 'The User Profile Service service Failed The Logon User Profile Cannot be Loaded' when i try to logon normally SO CAN SOMEONE HELP PLEASE its been like this for weeks now and im very restricted with what i can do on my laptop Im not bothered about my downloads or anything saved they can go im not bothered because ive lost nothing important anyway I just want a new administrator account I know i might have to wipe everything off the computer which doesn't bother me but i dont have a windows OS disc because my computer came with windows preinstalled Im running a ACER ASPIRE with -bit operating system and GB RAM and GB HDD Its on WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM service pack I really really need help i dont know what to do THANKS FOR ANY HELP

A:Need Help Creating Administator Account (user)

Hi -

Please see --> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/13...ot-loaded.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/need-help-creating-administator-account-user-500289.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I am trying to create a User Account on my new notebook running Windows 7 Home Premium. After I type in the name, Share, the User Account Control Panel comes up with message that "The specified account name is not valid because account names cannot contain the following characters" and then gives a list of special characters, none of which are in the account name.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

A:[SOLVED] Creating a user account

See if any of these suggestions help: the specific account is not valid because account names cannot contain - Microsoft Answers

Also here: Network Message = "The specified account name is not valid - Microsoft Answers

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-creating-a-user-account-573258.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I have user creating new account Problem a laptop which uses Windows XP professional service pack I am trying to stop my children having full access to download whatever they want which causes the computer to slow down I wanted to create a limited user account for them and this worked a dream on my desktop which has Windows XP home edition However when I try and do it on my laptop I am faced with problems The user account showing is Administrator and I cannot change the name for this When I try to create a new user account it says that at least Problem creating new user account one person must be the administrator and will not allow me to make the new account limited If I do designate the new account as a administrator then I lose the original administrator account including all the files I managed to get these back by doing a system restore What I do not understand is why when I try and set up a new account it doesn t recognise the Administarors Problem creating new user account account Problem creating new user account as the computer administator and allow me to create a new limited account Thanks for any help you can provide

A:Problem creating new user account

Try booting into safe mode, login to Administrator account and try out again.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/284090/problem-creating-new-user-account/
Relevancy 72.67%

I have passwod protected my PC so my kids only get on it when I want them to, or so I thought!!

My son, and credit to him, just made is own account with admin rights and logged into it instead of mine, until I noticed on bootup one day and then deleted it.

Is there a way of making it impossible for him to do this?

A:Block someone creating user account in XP?

Had he been using your account (which was the administrative account) to logon? If so, he can create an account whenever he wants. Not sure with XP Home, but XP Pro provides alot more security with user accounts. Your best bet is to create a limited user account for him and don't let him use your account. Change the password on your account also. Although, I'm not sure how good he is with the computer--there are programs out there that let you bypass the admin's password (let's hope he doesn't know about it).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/block-someone-creating-user-account-in-xp.360311/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi all I have been up and down various boards over the last few days and though I have found many suggestions I keep finding myself in an endless loop I enabled the Hidden Admin account on my Win Pro laptop The account was created without a hitch but when I try to login I get a defualt profile loading up Blank desktop and a very limited user profile Not even a command prompt in the quot Accessories quot folder in the Start menu When I try and access the Users folder I get denied Strange as this is the quot Super quot Hidden Admin account I have found suggestions with regards to Regedit problem Admin Hidden profile account default but the account is not listed in profiles list Only my original quot Jay quot account and system profiles network local I have tried to create other accounts I created a Standard account without a password and I get this error quot User profile services failed the login quot This error too Hidden Admin account default profile problem led me to a Regedit solution but again the account is not present In fact no new user folders are created when I make a new account When I try to view Users folder from my quot Jay quot account which works brilliantly there are no other user folders It's like it allows me to create new user accounts but is loading a default profile instead with all accounts I create Restore point won't work as I cleared all but my most recent the other day my one account is doing great so I cleared my restore points and made a system image now I wish I hadn't I don't know where to go from here other than maybe a repair install Kind of freaks me out about maybe messing up my only good profile account I have going right now

A:Hidden Admin account default profile problem

Hello Jay,

You might see if this may be able to help you fix this user profile error.

The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded. - Vista Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/160167-hidden-admin-account-default-profile-problem.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I'm helping two friends Bob amp Jane who want separate accounts on their new computer They hired someone to help them who wound up setting up Jane's account on the default Admin account When I saw this I set up a new Admin account named quot Bob quot and changed Jane's Issues Changed Account - Default Standard Admin Having Now to account to Standard Fast-forward to present Now in Windows Explorer I'm seeing two accounts quot PC quot and quot Jane quot However these labels are mixed up The account labeled quot Jane quot in Windows Explorer is actually Bob's Admin account has his specific files desktop shortcuts etc and the account labeled quot PC quot is actually Jane's Standard account After making the initial account changes the accounts were logged off of and the computer restarted to make the changes effective That the change is not being reflected in Windows Explorer Changed Default Admin Account to Standard - Now Having Issues is concerning and I'm also wondering if there could be additional residual effects after making the changes I've described Changed Default Admin Account to Standard - Now Having Issues Any help is much appreciated

A:Changed Default Admin Account to Standard - Now Having Issues

Anyone? Was changing the default admin acct to standard a bad idea?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/359503-changed-default-admin-account-standard-now-having-issues.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello Everyone I made a HUGE mistake today I was configuring puters at a time amp accidently made the only admin account into a limited account At first I swear I remember seeing the at least one other account that was an admin but I guess not The login screen is a bit wierd Account XP User Admin in as well Instead of it being the new xp screen with the users Admin User Account in XP icon it has the old version with the window asking for the username amp password I tried to enter the UN in that I thought I remember seeing amp a variety of possible passwords but nada My questions are is it possible to reverse the limited restrictions on the formerly admin account without any other admin account This seems unlikely but I guess there has to Admin User Account in XP be a way right GOD I hioe there is a way If there really is another admin account it seems unlikely that windows would allow the only account to be changed to limited access then how can I recoup the forgotten password I didnt make a passwords disks I am in a super jam here folx so if any mad scientist out there can help mw out I would forever be greatful Thanks in advance peace rusia nbsp

Relevancy 72.24%

I have a big problem; can any one help.
I have two reg user accounts and i changed one to an administrator account that I didn't want to use regularly, but when I try to do certain things it ask for a password, but when I put my password in it says "wrong password' or something like that. I know that is the right password; so I try in safe mode it say "The user has not been granted the requested login type at this computer. Also the account that I created will not show up when I restart my computer, so I can't login using that account.
Can someone please Help

A:Admin user account

Welcome

Try getting in with safe mode

Then try to access the hidden administrator.
Administrator Account

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/270687-admin-user-account.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Vista, but want to create another user account so that I'm not using my Admin account. It seems that this is suggested by Microsoft as it's safer.

I have all my programs installed and now I want to create a user account without admin rights that has all the settings, look and feel etc that I have set up with my admin account.

Can I copy the admin account and then just turn off admin rights? or is there some other way of doing this?

Thanks for the help and your time.

All the best to you,

Glen

A:Non-Admin User Account

Click Start>Control Panel>User Accounts>Manage another account>Create a new account.Hope this is what you were looking for.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/non-admin-user-account.739950/
Relevancy 72.24%

On my laptop I created a new user account called "Colin". When I looked (in Windows Explorer) under "users" there were two new accounts listed, one called "Colin" and one called "Colin.laptop". Of these, only "Colin" appears at Login or if accounts are viewed under "User Accounts" in Control Panel. Yet the "Colin.laptop" account is the one where newly created files etc are being stored when logged in as "Colin".
I'd appreciate help in understanding this and do I need to take any action?

Thanks
Paul

A:Creating new user account adds TWO accounts

Was this created during install or added to other User Account(s) afterwards? What about the other User Accounts now? If you had a Colin account established at install then it will hang around in some places even after deleting until a reinstall.

Did you establish Colin as an Admin account? If so is the other Colin also an Admin account when you look in User Accounts>Manage another Account? Can you delete it if it shows up there as a Duplicate? If so put its files on desktop until you're sure.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/258430-creating-new-user-account-adds-two-accounts.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi I created a new windows user account After logging into this account I noticed that the display of the fonts where changed new changed a user after creating account display I mean the icons display changed after creating a new user account text the text that appears on the Internet explorer Address the text on the blue windows header and general text etc It is turned to be blurred ot out of focus Now also when I logged back to the previous user account the problem occurs also here and I can t get rid of it I tried changing the screen resolution but I can t change it to X so I use X I don t remember what I used before when I change it to X - that is the closest that I get to what I had before but not enough also on the right click on the Desktop - gt properties quot Display properties quot - gt settings I see Dsiplays Plug and play Monitor on Mobile Intel R GM GMS GML Express Chipset Family Default Monitor on Mobile Intel R GM GMS GML Express Chipset Family I can t cause the nd display to work When I choose it press OK and enter back to this screen I see that the st Display is selected On the quot Device Manager quot - gt Monitors I see quot Plug and play monitor quot devices All are working properly I ll be happy if you could help me Thanks Asi nbsp

Relevancy 72.24%

Hi everyone,

I'm currently using windows 7 home premium.
I'm looking to create another account on my computer for a person whom has basically never used a computer in his life. I want it to just have the bare minimum of functionality: basic programs like wordpad/paint/etc., internet browsing (Firefox), and access to programs I've whitelisted.
A Guest account would be an ideal choice right? However, I've had experience in the past where even a standard user account can install software as long as it does not fiddle with the registry or something (Chrome being an example) bypassing UAC completely. In short, I'm afraid that this user can accidentally get malware/spyware from browsing the web (or install malicious software) and it might go on to infect/hijack the entire computer.
Is there any way to create a secure account that will prompt/prevent anything from installing? 

Thanks in advance.

A:Creating user account without the ability to install anything?

Yes and No. Things to read;

1. http://www.pcguru.plus.com/windows7/users_perm.html .
2. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/set-parental-controls#1TC=windows-7 .
3. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/disable-users-from-downloading-and-installing/b2ea75d7-9f82-4e40-8a05-21bcd2451a1e .
4. http://superuser.com/questions/197662/how-to-prevent-an-account-from-downloading-in-windows-7 .

Just a bit of light reading, you see. Welcome to the world of Permissions, Group Policy (only on Domains), Local Policy, and Parental Controls.

The simplest would be #4, but that would also lock you out also unless you changed it back. If the person in question is truly as PC challenged as you suggest, then they probably won't figure this out, especially if you make a habit of hiding the Menu bar in the browser. Play around with Parental Controls though, that may have something you can use.

What ever you decide, when setting it up remember to;
A. Put a password on your account so the other can't use it.
B. Set up an account for the other person,,, password protect that if you wish.
Good Luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/554183/creating-user-account-without-the-ability-to-install-anything/
Relevancy 72.24%

Been trying to create an additional user account. When I attempt to log into this account a screen appears that says something like "Initializing setting for Internet explorer". The screen just hangs up for hours on end (all night long infact). I am forced to manually shut the computer down and the new account does not work.

A:Creating Additional User Account *FAILURE*

Run the System File Checker, you may have some pooched files

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow ( sfc if not reconized) (Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

In all likelihood you will be prompted to insert the Windows XP CD.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/creating-additional-user-account-failure-177376.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi All,

Whenever I go into a computer lab or an internet cafe, most computers have accounts that are super limited (e.g. can only use IE and maybe office), and often erase all new settings/passwords, etc. upon logout.

Do you guys know how to do this in vista? e.g. create an account so that users can't possibly mess around with settings or leave any lasting damage? OS is home 32bit.

Thanks a bunch!

A:Creating a super restricted user account

I would simply opt to not let them anywhere near my PC....

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/117127-creating-super-restricted-user-account.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Ok so my mom wants a user account. So i go to create one. (I'm a computer admin and the only account on the computer) When i created it i noticed that it wouldnt let me make her account limited. (the bullet for the limited account was faded or un-clickable) so i could only make her an admin account. I made her account, loged off and when i looked at the screen it only showed her newly created account but not mine. What should i do? I went on her account and did system restore and i got my account back but hers was gone.

A:[SOLVED] Creating a user account problem

hi TheMasta,

the only thing i can think of trying is goto safe mode and from the administrator try set an account from their.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-creating-a-user-account-problem-553139.html
Relevancy 71.81%

hi
i have a new computer with windows8 on it.
i used the default administrator user to log in
the last time i've loged in i've accidentally enabled a user account which deleted my default administrator account.
i've enabled the administrator account gain but when i loged in to this account all my data and files disappeared.
can i restore them some how? i didnt backup my computer so i dont know if restoring system to an older date will help me..
i can see that settings i've enabled still exist so can i find my files as well ?

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/54479-how-do-i-restore-my-default-admin-user-windows8.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hello all,

I deleted the default admin account in Windows 7 (home premium) but this caused a problem:

The main admin account was very slow in my windows, I create new account and I convert it to admin account then I tried to delete the default main account, and It was permanently deleted, but it caused a problem because I can not do some actions like defrag and another actions, also I can't create new account (through the new admin account), It seems like it is not admin account but when I open the control panel I can find it is admin account!

My windows 7 is original but I don't have the CD because it came with the laptop as a whole package, anyone can help me in this problem please?

Thanks

A:I deleted the default admin account in Windows 7 but this caused a problem

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-deleted-the-default-admin-account-in-windows-7-but-this-caused-a-problem.1134284/
Relevancy 71.38%

I have my laptop hard drive partitioned as 3 separate simple volumes.

The largest partition contains WinVista and programs. The second partition contains all my data files (D drive). I've got the Documents link pointing to D:\users\don\Documents. I've got Vista configured to read my personal desktop items (the ones accessible only from my user account) from D:\users\don\Desktop. etc etc.

I've got got an automated backup that backs up the entire contents of my D drive nightly.

Now the question is how can I make it so that when a new user is created, the new user has the same settings?

TIA!

A:Creating New User Profiles. Chg Default paths to Special Folders?

When I went from Vista to Seven, I wanted to test Easy transfer. I transferred setting (via easy transfer) from one account to a finger drive. Then to a new account. The second account was a copy of the first; desktop, setting, favorites etc. You can pick the settings that you want to tranfer. No cable is needed
Download details: Windows Easy Transfer for transferring from Windows Vista (32 bit) to Windows 7

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/286964-creating-new-user-profiles-chg-default-paths-special-folders.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi,
I have a Windows 8.1 system on a lap top that was used by a former employee. Her name was still on user name and I couldn't change it without Admin privileges (otherwise was asking for a smart card). Found out how to get in to admin in safe mode with Net
User Admin yes- then discovered that the old log in and information / desk top is no longer available. The docs are under Users (old employee's name) in C drive, but the docs and settings no longer show up and the admin log in is the only one available - no
option to change users.
When I went in and said Net User Admin no - thinking if I disabled admin user it would go back to the old log in -  there was no log in available at all.

Help?
Launa

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/56c281dc-3368-4418-93ac-3cd96832c513/enabled-net-user-admin-to-change-an-account-name-cant-change-name-and-now-origial-login-account?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 71.38%

Hello, my brother has recently made himself the admin on my computer that have spent alot of money on and it is finally gaming ready but now I cannot access any gaming platform and not update any scripts

A:How do I get into the admin account while being a strandard user

Quote: Originally Posted by User3456

Hello, my brother has recently made himself the admin on my computer that have spent alot of money on and it is finally gaming ready but now I cannot access any gaming platform and not update any scripts

Your brother has admin rights
You are standard user.

You wanna have admin rights?? If so, ask your brother to login and he can give you admin rights

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/226784-how-do-i-get-into-admin-account-while-being-strandard-user.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi As I have some troubles to take ownership of HKLM HCR from the registry Someone recommend me to do the following Step Clicked and account ! User Admin big troubles Start Menu Click Run Type net user administrator active yes Close All Other Applications And Reboot User and Admin account big troubles ! Your System Step Click Login To The Administrator Account Clicked Start Menu Click Run Type Regedit Go to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Policies System Right Click On EnableLUA Click Modify Change Value Data To A Click OK Step Go Back To The Root Folders In The Registry Editor Right Click On HKEY CLASSES ROOT Click Permissions Click CREATOR OWNER Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click SYSTEM Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click Administrators Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click On Users Click Remove Click Your Account Name If It Shows Click Remove Click OK Step Right Click On HKEY CURRENT USER Click Permissions Click SYSTEM Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click Administrators Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click OK Step Right Click On HKEY LOCAL MACHINE Click Permissions Click Everyone Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click RESTRICTED Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click SYSTEM Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click Administrators Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click OK Step Right Click On HKEY USERS Click Permissions Click Everyone Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click RESTRICTED Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click SYSTEM Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click Administrators Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click On Users If It Shows Click Remove Click Your Account Name If It Shows Click Remove Click OK Step Right Click On HKEY CURRENT CONFIG Click Permissions Click CREATOR OWNER Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click Administrators Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click OK Close Registry Editor And All Other Applications And Reboot Your System Step Click Login To The Available Regular Owner Account Clicked Start Menu Click Control Panel Click Add Or Remove User Acounts Create A New User Account And Logoff Close Registry Editor And All Other Applications And Reboot Your System Step Click Login To Your New Created Account Right Click On The Drive Or Directory You Lost Access To Click Properties Click Security Click Advance At The Permissions Tab Click Edit Click Add Type The Name Of The Recently New Created Account Click Check Names Your New Account Name Should Fully Show Up Click OK A Permission Screen Should Show Up Click On The Allow Box Where It Says Full Control Where It Says quot Apply To quot Choose The quot This Folder Subfolders And Files quot Option Click OK Again At The Permissions Tab Click On Your New Created Account Click Apply Click Yes On The Security Popup To Change Your Allow Permissions If An Errors Occur Just Click Continue Once The Process Finishes Reboot Your System And Login To Your New Account You Should Now Have Access Back Into Your Hard Drive Or Directory I did all except the nine step After the eight while enter to my new account I get a blue screen in my session instead of my dekstop no icons no system tray appeared I reboot my computer and I notice that I couldn' enter anymore to my Admin account Enter and my session was automatically closed Nevertheless I could enter to my standard user account the old one named Transparence but the dekstop is in black no icons no system tray nothing I decided to Alt Ctrl delete like to close my session but instead I choose Task Manager I have only processes csrss exe dwm exe taskmgr exe winlogon exe How can i get back and change the ownership of my registry Is it possible to check my registry with someone who is running Vista Business bits The following are the settings I have for now Registry HCR System total control and lecture checked Admin idem HCU System total control and lecture checked Admin idem Users lecture checked HLM Everybody Restricted lecture checked System Admin total control and lectur... Read more

A:User and Admin account big troubles !

Welcome
If you can get to system restore, you could go back. Restore includes registry changes.
Try in safe mode if necessary
Try with the hidden administrator if necessary.
Administrator Account
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ix-issues.html

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/285275-user-admin-account-big-troubles.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi, i created a new user account only last week and decided i would log into it again, this is only the 3rd time i've logged into this new user account, so it was ok last i accessed it.
After pressing the icon and xp login plays the tune, all that i am greeted with is a blank blue screen. I accessed task manager and logged off. Logged in my admin account and deleted the new account and created another, the same thing happened again, and again etc.
So cannot create a new account , anyone know why?

thanks

A:logging into new user admin account

When you login with a new account, go onto task manager and click the "Processes" tab. See if explorer.exe is running, if not, run a new task of "explorer".

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/logging-into-new-user-admin-account.920047/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi guys, i have recently begun to use a user account instead of running full Admin and my question is should the two separate accounts be treated separately when it comes to security,  and do most keep one account minimal with just a few programs or to just surf and the elevated one for something else.

I am the only user  but am confused about security.  I started with just an admin account and kept everything up to date and ran scans regularly etc... but i am finding i'm doing the exact same thing with the user account.

When i update one and run scans i should automatically do the same for the admin account?  Windows update for example, i need to check for updates with both accounts?

Sorry for the confusion and thanks

A:User/Admin account question

Hi,

1. Click the Windows Start button and then click Control Panel. The Control Panel appears.
2. Select Large icons on the right-hand side under the View by menu (if you are not already in Large icons view). This will display the Control Panel features as icons. Locate and click on  User Accounts.
3. The User Accounts panel appears
4. Click the Change User Accounts Control Settings option. The User Accounts Control Settings dialog box appears.
5. Windows 7 UAC settings have a slider to change between different notification levels. You can choose one from the following four options:
Never notify
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Always notify
6. If the need arises to turn off the UAC to troubleshoot ACT! related issues, a general guideline is to change the setting to Never Notify, which essentially disables the UAC feature.
Note: A reboot of the computer will be required after choosing this setting.
You  can also change a user's account type, Follow these steps:
If your computer is in a domain:
1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts, clicking User Accounts again, and then clicking Manage User Accounts.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2. On the Users tab, under Users for this computer, click the user account name, and then click Properties.
3. On the Group Membership tab, click the group you want the account to be in, click OK, and then click OK again.

If your computer is in a workgroup:

1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety, clicking User Accounts, and then clicking Manage another account.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2. Click the account you want to change, and then click Change the account type.
3. Select the account type you want, and then click Change Account Type.

For more information on user accounts, please logon to:
 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/What-is-an-administrator-accounthttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Change-a-users-account-typehttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-get-started-with-my-computer

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/498085/useradmin-account-question/
Relevancy 71.38%

Please - account no profile user admin help I ve been getting the quot user profile service user profile - no admin account failed the logon quot error message on my account which was the admin account All of user profile - no admin account the solutions posted online require you to be logged in as an administrator in order user profile - no admin account to execute them So far I ve tried fixing user profile editing system registry etc as per this page http support microsoft com kb en-US wa wsignin can t from a standard user account creating a new account and transferring data can t from a standard user account restoring system to previous point using command prompts can t from a standard user account enabling the quot hidden quot admin account can t as a standard user being stressed and grumpy I can do this fine but it s not effective at solving the problem I don t seem to be able to do anything as a standard user on the only account left and every time it prompts for my admin password it won t let me go any further What do I do We have loads of photos and documents which haven t been backed up yet yes yes don t even say it and so I don t want to just reset the whole thing or risk losing anything Any advice Thank you in advance nbsp

A:user profile - no admin account

Restart the machine in the "Safe mode"
Use the "Administrator" account and password if you set one up. If you did NOT set up a password, then just use the "enter" key when in the password box.
Once up and running in the safe mode, you should be able to make a new account of the admin group.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profile-no-admin-account.1142637/
Relevancy 71.38%

Any response given will be greatly appreciated even if there's nothing or Admin User log in account Unable to to you can do to help me First I don't know much about computers so I'll explain the problem the best Unable to log in to User or Admin account I can I got a little bubble telling me I had a spyware then an IE window FF is my default browser came up with an ad for some antispyware xp or something I closed it and ran a scan with AVG It found or threats one was Vundo can't remember the others After it finished it said to restart which I did When it resarted it went to the screen where you pick an account to sign in Normally it does not go to this screen I only have one account which does not have a password I clicked on it the screen blinked then it logged out of the account I went into safe mode tried the same for the admin account and the same thing happened I'm typing this on my PS so I'll be quick to respond Again thank you to anyone who responds

A:Unable to log in to User or Admin account

Hi bill1228 and welcome to TSF !

This worked for other users :
Fix Windows XP Log On/Log Off Loop

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/unable-to-log-in-to-user-or-admin-account-379306.html
Relevancy 71.38%

The Daughter is 12 years old now and needs to have her own desktop (space) and such so I created another account for her with no password required.

I noticed when I mouse hover on her icons they display empty "Check Boxes". What is this for?

Also, I run two displays.
In my account the start button displays the start menu in the same display (right side) as the button & task bar.
In her account it displays to the left display on it's right edge.

any answers on the above or any other tips would be great.

I looked at the tutorials but no lessons on what an administrator can do in the other accounts. Some newb account creations tips would be nice. Or a link to it .......?

A:Non Admin User Account Questions

Hello theRock,

The check boxes are to make selecting multiple files easier to do. You can turn this off or on if you like though.

Select Files using Check Boxes

It sounds like the menu open appearance setting has been changed. This can show you how to change it back to the default "Left Handed" setting instead.

Menu Open Appearance

If you wanted to restrict what she can do, then you might consider making her account a standard account instead and using Parental Controls on it.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/262005-non-admin-user-account-questions.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Account was active (and I wasn't paying great attention) and set the admin. account almost fully to what and how I wanted it to be, not realizing that it was the admn. and not my user acct. that I named my own name, as the standard recommendation of not logging or using the admn. acccount as your logon or user acct. Is there a way I can trick or copy the admn. to my name or delete the user acct. in its sub or alternate, such as the acct.-my name and then use those settings as I was going to, and then rename admn. to other acct. if that makes sense(?) or would I just have to go ahead and bite-it and reset the same settings or the profile for my alternate-user acct.? Thanks, Joe

A:setting up Admin. and user account

There are registry changes you can make to trick xp to load other profiles, but imo it would be safest to leave the admin account as is, setup your user account and proceed as normal. I only use the reg changes if i join a pc to a domain that has a profile being used and they want that profile as the domain profile.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/208350/setting-up-admin-and-user-account/
Relevancy 71.38%

PC has WinXP Pro there are 4 accounts 3 admin("Administrator", "qq" and "My Computer" and 1 guest. Have ran Malwarebytes and removed over 60 items, have scanned with new AVAST no virus found ran both in safe mode under "Administrator" account. Adminsitrator account is running fine, loading fine no issues. "My Computer" account is only showing desktop background photo, no desktop icons are showing, is extremly slow and keeps locking up and comes up with errors cant find "null" and missing "dll" errors. I have now removed HDD and have hooked it up to a second PC and am currently running new scans on it. Any ideas would be great

Relevancy 71.38%

​Until recently, I was using an Admin privileged user account on my Windows 10 PC for all use. I now use a non-admin account for all use and have 2 Admin privileged accounts in back. One Admin account I use to authorize anything requiring admin privileges and the other I don't touch I just have as a back up restore point.
My question is if I should disable internet on the Admin account that acts simply as my restore point? Is there a security benefit to doing this or could it be a security risk due to not getting auto updates?

A:Securing my Admin user account

The extra admin account is unnecessary since it does not serve the purpose for which you intended, i.e. as a restore point.  One admin account and one standard account should be sufficient.

Also, the "internet" or a network connection does not work in the way you describe.  Disabling the wireless connection on one account disables it for all accounts on that machine.  You cannot selectively turn on the wireless for one account and not for others.  The same goes if you are using a wired connection.

I am assuming that you mean Windows updates, which are updates to the operating system.  Once the operating system is receiving updates, those updates apply to all users on the same machine.  The operating system is central to all users.  Although individual users may apply their own settings (e.g. wallpaper) or install applications for their sole use, those things do not affect the operating system as a whole.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/603578/securing-my-admin-user-account/
Relevancy 71.38%

Ok, I may have made a mistake here, I was told to click this SID thing and change my SID I code in order to be able to install this WindowBlinds application however, it seems to have gone crazy.

After restarting my computer, It now has two users after looking in the C:/users - one Gareth.GarethPC which has NOTHING IN IT. And the other is my original GARETH account which it wont let me access - asking for an ADMIN password however It wont let me type anything in!

So I can't do any activity that requires Admin access, i've been trying to system restore naturally Admin required.

Any help? I'm wetting myself.

Thanks Everyone.

Edit: Mine is now a guest account..

A:Admin User Account - Im Locked Out!

HI this is for the hidden admin account try doing the steps form the guest account http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...idden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-user-account-im-locked-out.870142/
Relevancy 71.38%

I have six user accounts on my PC i have a big family but one of them can't login because quot The Group Policy Client service failed to logon Access denied quot error message pops up and we are sure the password is correct Also admin user? my is why guest only the account the guest account does not have a password it just logs in and takes a while to prepare the desktop after it has logged on there's a pop up message that says that the current account is temporary and can't acces any files and the ones created will be deleted once I log off This account is also the admin account and when installing programs a prompt comes up and ask for the password but there is none and all you have to do is press enter and it works as if you had actually input a password Also I cannot create or delete accounts because for some other reason acces is denied I have tried using the command prompt to change the why is my guest account the only admin user? password and tried several other commands but they don't work I have several limitations because of this problem and it seems to keep on getting worst any help is appreciated why is my guest account the only admin user?

A:why is my guest account the only admin user?

Which version of Windows 7?

I don't think the Guest account can have administrator rights, be an administrator. The actual Administrator account is hidden by default. You need at least one User set with administrative rights, shows as Administrator but others can be Standard users.
User accounts: FAQ - Windows Help
The number of Users allowed appears to be limited only by the amount of space available on the HDD.
user accounts: How many user accounts can I create? - Microsoft Community

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/353184-why-my-guest-account-only-admin-user.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I have a program, BOINC in this instance, that I want to run only when I log in as a user, I do not want it to run when I log in as admin. is this possible? the program is up and running now but runs in both accounts. I use my admin account to do banking only and the user account to do 3D and allow the BOINC app to run when the PC isn't being used.

thanks,
bob

A:I want a program to only run as user, not with my admin account

I run the same program .. have you tried to suspend
the projects when you use your admin account??

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/42231-i-want-program-only-run-user-not-my-admin-account.html
Relevancy 71.38%

when i use my admin account to create a new admin account i get stumped.

i can create the account, set the password, and then when i try to switch users, i click on the new account admin2, and i get a warning that

"unknown user or bad password"

i have actually seen posts in other forums with the same issue but no answer

windows 7, 64 bit laptop

A:cannot create a new admin user account

Could a reboot before using the account help?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/218537-cannot-create-new-admin-user-account.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hey
I have accidentaly deleted my administrator account. It happened because i created a new user, then I used that abit. When I logged on to my old accout I deleted the new one that I made, but then I wasnt't administrator anymore... ON NONE OF THE USERS ON THE COMPUTER. So I can't create a new account with admin rights and I can't change my account type to administrator Please help me if u know how.

- Victor27 -

A:Deleted admin user account

It is against the policy of BleepingComputer to provide information on methods to reset or bypass the Administrator password. Though your question is most likely legitimate, there are others who may read this topic and use the information for less savory reasons. It is for these reasons we do not provide this type of information.If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a private message or an email. Thank you for your understanding.The weathermanBleepingComputer Forums ModeratorReference: BleepingComputer Board Rules

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/203635/deleted-admin-user-account/
Relevancy 71.38%

I recieved a computer and there is no admin account to log in to only the User log in. Tried rebooting in safe mode and it still goes to the log in screen.

A:No Admin account and Dont know the user log in

What exactly do you mean by "I received a computer"?

Did someone give it to you as a gift for you to keep?  Can you not ask the person you got the computer from for the login info?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503504/no-admin-account-and-dont-know-the-user-log-in/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi,

I have Windows XP Professional in two of my employees PCs

Recently, I have observed they have started adding new software carelessly to the PC and are delaying work on the other hand

I would like to put an end to this menace

Can you please tell me how to:

1. Restrict software from being installed on the PCs

2. Restrict the websites that they log on to

3. Get a log of activities they have been doing daily

Maybe this is harsh however, I have to keep some control over them as all my accounts are managed on the PCs

Please help me

Thanks in advance

A:User Account Admin in Windows XP - PLEASE HELP

Some antivirus have "parental controls" on them, and that might be the best way to take control of misuse...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-account-admin-in-windows-xp-please-help.1051794/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hey forum,

I never thought about it until recently when a friend mentioned it. He said even though I am the only one that uses my computer, that I should still create a standard user account and use that to greatly increase the security of my system. This seems to be sound logic and I have heard it somewhere else before, but I figure I would ask for the opinion of someone much more knowledgeable than myself.

Is it recommended to operate under a standard user account login even if you the sole user to the computer?

A:Creating a standard user account for security purposes?

There are different views on this so I'll give you mine as an Installation guy who tries to set up perfect installs as compiled in Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7.

When WIn7 is installed it issues an Admin account to the user assuming he is the owner.

As long as User Account Controls are kept at default then the only protection that an Admin Account lacks is that it will not be prompted to okay any changes with a password. It will still dim the desktop and flash the warning that changes are being made. So ask yourself how much more important it is to you to have to insert your password for every change made which triggers UAC. For most it is too annoying a redundancy to bother with.

If others are using your PC it is always a good idea to create for them a Standard Account and then password yours, or use the built-in Guest account.

Others may have a different view which is equally as compelling.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/309359-creating-standard-user-account-security-purposes.html
Relevancy 71.38%

in windows 7 how do i disable creating a new user account and password
what should i stop/remove/disable...services or what???
give me an instructions pls

the reason im doing this cause my little bro keep creating an account, then my windows settings are screwed up and files are moved

A:how do i disable creating a new user account & password (answer pls)

open registry (regedit)
follow the following tree
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
in the right of the window you will find EnableLUA. Open it and change its value to 0.

that's all.

.... Was this helpful?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/249097-how-do-i-disable-creating-new-user-account-password-answer-pls.html
Relevancy 71.38%

i put a pen drive n got this virus it virus...HELP!!! duplicate user drive Creating account=pen disabled regedit task manager and Creating duplicate user account=pen drive virus...HELP!!! folder options moreover it created a duplicate user account called Creating duplicate user account=pen drive virus...HELP!!! administrator xxxx where the xxx refers to my name before the virus i used to use administrator profile but now it doesnt show the opriginal administrator profile in the start-up it takes me directly into the duplicate account please help Creating duplicate user account=pen drive virus...HELP!!! Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C PROGRA eScan TRAYSSER EXE C PROGRA eScan avpm exe C Program Files Common Files MicroWorld Agent MWASER EXE C Program Files Common Files MicroWorld Agent MWAgent exe C Program Files Spyware Doctor sdhelp exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Canon CAL CALMAIN exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C WINDOWS Explorer exe C WINDOWS system SSVICHOSST exe C PROGRA eScan MAILDISP EXE C PROGRA eScan AVPMWrap EXE C PROGRA ESCAN SPOOLER EXE C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWTray exe C Program Files Locked Locked exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system SSVICHOSST exe C Program Files Locked Locked TMP C PROGRA eScan AvpM exe C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMFirstStart exe C Program Files Common Files Ahead lib NMIndexStoreSvr exe C Program Files Common Files Ahead lib NMBgMonitor exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C WINDOWS system mmc exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C PROGRA eScan eScanWin exe C PROGRA eScan kavss exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware Ad-Aware exe E HiJackThis HijackThis exe C WINDOWS system mshta exe C WINDOWS system mshta exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C WINDOWS system mshta exe O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO PCTools Site Guard - C B A - DB - A -A CB-D BBFEB - C PROGRA SPYWAR tools iesdsg dll O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C PROGRA MICROS Office GRA E DLL O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO PCTools Browser Monitor - B A D D- - C -A - DF C AC - C PROGRA SPYWAR tools iesdpb dll O - HKLM Run Cmaudio RunDll cmicnfg cpl CMICtrlWnd O - HKLM Run MailScan Dispatcher quot C Program Files eScan LAUNCH EXE quot O - HKLM Run eScan Updater C PROGRA eScan TRAYICOS EXE App O - HKLM Run eScan Monitor C PROGRA eScan AVPMWrap EXE O - HKLM Run AAWTray C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWTray exe O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run Pwrmon C Program Files Locked Pwrmon exe mon O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Run Yahoo Messengger C WINDOWS system SSVICHOSST exe O - HKCU Run BgMonitor E - C C- d f- C - D A B AA quot C Program Files Common Files Ahead lib NMBgMonitor exe quot O - Startup F O - Startup O - Startup PowerPo int O - Startup x O - Startup vk O - Startup F O - Startup nk O - Startup O - Startup O - Startup nk O - Startup O - Startup O - Startup a vk O - Startup vkA O - Startup F O - Startup O - Startup vqy Np prf O - Startup F O - Startup amp O - Startup O - Startup vqy Np prf O - Startup O - Startup pL O - Startup hbin ... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/creating-duplicate-user-account-pen-drive-virus-help.627891/
Relevancy 71.38%

the title says it all .
I've encountered this problem lately last month .
Is it possible to fix .
Or is it Microsoft's Problem .. ?
need your help
Franz .

A:Creating a new user account results to black screen

Hello Franz,

You might consider refreshing Windows 8 to see if that may help.

Refresh Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/16874-creating-new-user-account-results-black-screen.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I need to create a new user on a new Windows 10 pc.* I get an error:* "You can't sign up here with a work or school email address.* Use a personal email....".* This is a business pc not a personal pc.* How can I create a new*user account using a business email* address?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/440860-creating-new-user-account-will-not-allow-work-email-address.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I was having a lot of trouble creating a local user account with a powershell script Basically the script would throw no errors but the account would not with powershell creating local user account Problems be shown in quot Control Panel User Accounts Manage another user account quot It would seem that the user Problems creating local user account with powershell create functionality of ADSI doesn't work the same way in win as it did in win I Problems creating local user account with powershell finally figured out that the accounts had been created but they weren't a member of quot Users quot by default and when they weren't a member of users they didn't show up in the control panel Script Local User Management Module Run the script above and then run the following two commands New-localuser -username quot newuser quot -password quot quot -description quot created by powershell quot Set-Localgroup -username quot newuser quot -groupname quot Users quot -add That should create the new user account and add it to the Users group so it is visible and can be used

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/9807-problems-creating-local-user-account-powershell.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I tried to follow this procedure: http://www.ehow.com/how_5078719_block-websites-except-one.html I have been using my default admin account for ages on this Windows XP machine. The system prompted me to create a Computer Admin account and then allowed me to set up a limited account. Now my default admin account has disappeared. It has taken many things I need with it, including my Photoshop actions and access to some software and all of my saved passwords in FireFox and IE. I have tried a system restore to no avail. Suggestions on how to get my default admin user back would be much appreciated. That user was passworded and the ones currently appearing are not and I don't really even get how, with any security features at all, it would be possible to set up a new admin account and delete the old one, thus disabling password access on a computer.

A:Accidentally deleted default admin user in Windows XP

Try this:
Reboot into Safe Mode, it should show A choice of Administrator or user account, choose Administrator, and then create a new account and make it Administrator, Reboot back to normal mode and boot into this account

Good Luck !

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/378567/accidentally-deleted-default-admin-user-in-windows-xp/
Relevancy 70.52%

Greetings A friend of mine to auto & on auto account logs-in user account, reboots BSOD's Admin has been having a recurring issue with his computer that's getting worse I've spent hours going through the forums BSOD's on user account, auto reboots & auto logs-in to Admin account but haven't seen anything about this so I'm posting here Any help would be greatly appreciated ISSUE He uses his computer with a password protected user account while rarely logging in off the BSOD's on user account, auto reboots & auto logs-in to Admin account password protected Admin account For months while working in his user account his computer will BSOD at random times whenever he has IE or Chrome open He's got malware causing him issues BUT In the last few weeks when it reboots after a BSOD it will automatically login to his Admin account on its own without him entering his Admin password WTH I've never even heard of something like this and not sure where to start He ran Malwarebytes and sent me an email tonight below that listed what was found Over the last couple of years he seems to be a magnet for downloading PUPs PUMs malware adware viruses etc that I've had to help him through His computer is custom built Windows Home x - All service packs auto updates turned on amp current Core i GB RAM ATI video card AV MSE Also runs MalwareBytes free His email last night quot I received a BSOD while logged onto my user account side with Chrome and Outlook open I went to watch TV for an hour and when I came back to the computer I must have had a BSOD and I was logged onto the Admin side This is the second or third time this has happened like this quot quot While on the Admin side I ran CC Cleaner and Malwarebytes Attached is a document that Malwarebytes found threats I have no idea what they mean or if any of those could be causing my BSOD issues When you get some time please take a look at them and see what you can determine Appreciate it quot Here's the list of items Malwarebytes found when he ran it as Admin I looked them up and he's got serious problems But what concerns me is how his computer is rebooting after a BSOD and logging into his Admin account on its own without him entering the password I've edited the list to remove his Admin account name so that it XXX Malwarebytes Anti-Malware www malwarebytes org Scan Date Scan Time PM Logfile Detected Threats txt Administrator Yes version Malware Database v Rootkit Database v License Free Malware Protection Disabled Malicious website Protection Disabled self-protection Disabled os windows service Pack CPU x File system NTFS User XXX-Admin Scan Type Threat Scan Result completed objects scanned Time Elapsed min sec Memory Enabled startup Enabled Filesystem Enabled Archives Enabled Rootkits Enabled Heuristics Enabled PUP Enabled PUM Enabled Processes NO malicious items detected Modules NO malicious items detected Registry Keys PUM security Hijack Disablechromeupdates HKLM SOFTWARE POLICIES GOOGLE UPDATE e aa d a fa a celce da PUP optional superoptimizer HKLM SOFTWARE wow NODE A F -FC - C-A -COl AF E C eba e bfOa f eebffa cOef PUM security Hijack Disablechromeupdates HKLM SOFTWARE WOW NODE POLICIES GOOGLE UPDATE ce e a cb b f e PUP optional superoptimizer HKU S- - - SOFTWARE APPDATALOW AC - F - -B FD- BC F a acf ee db cfeaa d cb PUP optional superoptimizer HKU S- - - - - - - SOFTWARE APPDATALOW AC - F br - -B FD- BC F bad d cebdb c dcfeaba a a PUP optional conduit HKU S- - - - - - - SOFTWARE MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER SEARCHSCOPES EE -D - F-AOFF-E B B E A b de cOb d e b dlda ad PUP optional w i HKU S- - - - - - - SOFTWARE MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER SEARCHSCOPES CC EBA - - D -A - FE A e d f c d f ba PUP Optional optimizerpro HKU S- - - - - - - SOFTWARE OPTIMIZER PRO fcf c fd d a acOcf Registry values PUM security Hijack Disablechromeupdates HKLM SOFTWARE POLICIES GOOGLE UPDATE DisableAutoupdatecheckscheckboxvalue e aa d a fa a celce da PUM security Hijack Disablechromeupdates HKLM SOFTWARE W... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/381486-bsods-user-account-auto-reboots-auto-logs-admin-account.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I cannot find the solution to this anywhere for months now. I've had to do a clean reinstall of my win xp HE. My old user account has dissapeared from user accounts. its still in win explorer is "documents and settings" but every time i try to access it, it says access is denied. Also tried doing so in dos, and with other various programs. I've managed to get the files from within the folder using "getdataback for ntfs".
Would appreciate it if you could help me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-a-user-account-in-admin-mode.328985/
Relevancy 70.52%

I have an admin acct that doesn't seem to have privileges. One issue is that I'm unable to create a user acct (specified acct name not valid, cannot contain the following characters: |[]”:;|<>+=,?*)
The new user name contains no such characters.

So I enabled the hidden admin acct, which seems to have privileges, but gets the same error when trying to create a new acct.

various virus, malware and rootkit detection utilities don't find anything. Outside of the admin issues and account creation, the system runs fine.

This system is a Dell XPS 410, upgraded to win 7 Pro x64 SP1 from XP (before I obtained it).

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks!

A:Admin has no privileges, cannot create user account

I'm checking into profile issues...System Properties\Advanced|User Profile settings shows the users in the below image.

All seems well except for the Account Unknown. I guess #1 is the hidden admin account, #'s 2 & 3 are the named user accts.

There was an account named updatususer. Research shows that this is an nvidea update service account. I removed it from the admin account (still can't create a new user).

in a cmd window, 'net user' returns only users #2 & #3. User #3 is the local admin account without privileges.

Any ideas as to what the Account Unknown user could be (if it's even pertinent to the issue)? I thought it might be the guest account, but it's not turned on.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/361455-admin-has-no-privileges-cannot-create-user-account.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi Using evaluation copy of NetTerm as terminal emulator which is one in account, the admin) Program not runs other user (both meant to run ok under Win earlier versions Program runs in one user account, not the other (both admin) not We only have two Win Pro machines rest XP One machine OK On the Program runs in one user account, not the other (both admin) other NetTerm runs ok in the account Install administrator but not in account User administrator In account User it immediately minimizes to taskbar and won Program runs in one user account, not the other (both admin) t run I ve tried changing properties from running in normal window to run maximized The program will then display full screen but still won t connect to LAN In account Install it runs as expected and gives a login prompt immediately The other Win machine happily runs the program using same installation process Our first priority is to find out why that s happening Install is only meant for distributing software from server but we also have an issue with the working version The program if left for a few minutes with no activity or if re-entered after a switch user immediately crashes out leaving us with software locks and various other nasties NetTerm s response was that it has not been installed correctly We ve uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times without success Thanks in anticipation nbsp

A:Program runs in one user account, not the other (both admin)

Was it installed for ALL users, as some programs ask up front if it is to be used by all users?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/program-runs-in-one-user-account-not-the-other-both-admin.946840/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hello, can someone help me?!?!? One of the user acounts on my computer has been deleted, with everything attached to it! Can I get it back????

A:Lost User Account - System Admin

Here is a Microsoft Article explaining how to recover a deleted user profile.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/75511/lost-user-account-system-admin/